PDA

View Full Version : Simple Q&A Pathfinder (By RAW) I

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

LibraryOgre
2011-09-06, 11:47 AM
(This is a fairly high procedure thread; please read the entire instructions carefully before posting. Thanks.)

Ever have a simple, straight-forward rules question that you can’t figure out the answer to? Ask it here. No question is too simple. No more worrying about whether your question is “worth” starting a thread. Ask here and receive an answer. You are, of course, welcome to start a thread for your question, and if you think your question is subject to many interpretations or will start a debate, you are encouraged to start a new thread for it.

This thread will serve as a catch-all for simple, discreet questions that can be answered quickly according to the RAW (Rules As Written). This thread is for all simple RAW questions about Pathfinder.

If your question is about D&D 4e, ask here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6837321)
If your question is about real world weapons and armor ask it here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=11941948#post11941948)
If your question is about homebrew rulings start a thread regarding it.
If you are looking for the meaning of an acronym or abbreviation look here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18512)
If you want to find a certain feat or ability, Lists of Stuff (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19871954/Lists_of_Stuff) and X stat to Y bonus (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19871590/X_stat_to_Y_bonus) are both useful threads.

The Procedure:

Do:
Label your questions with bold Q#s.
Label your answers with the bold Q# that you are responding to and/or quote the question.
Be sure that your answer is correct before you post it; if you are the least bit uncertain, just let it pass and get the next one.
Try to give your answers in as clear and straightforward terms as possible.
Feel free to quote or link to relevant rules in the SRD, Errata, or FAQ that supports your answer. (You may want to give your answer and then modify it to add support – otherwise someone else may answer while you’re assembling yours.)
Specify if your question is for a system other than Pathfinder (the default for this thread).

Don’t:
Ask Homebrew rules questions here.
Ask trick questions or attempt to “stump the panel,” so to speak.
Answer a question that’s already been recently answered.
Offer contradictions, clarifications, exceptions, or extensions of prior answers unless, in your opinion, the answer give is plainly and completely wrong.
Post to debate the answers given.
Post to carry on other conversations whether tangentially related or wholly unrelated.

Dispute Resolution Procedure:
If you dispute someone’s answer – meaning that they got it wrong in a critical fashion – post your answer and suggest that the original questioner start a thread to discuss it further if they want it hashed out.
If someone disputes your answer, don’t respond. Just wait to see if the original questioner starts a new thread to discuss it.
If your question leads to a disputed answer, start a new thread if you’d like it discussed further.

Here are some sample questions. “Bad” questions just mean they should be asked in their own thread where you can get many answers and opinions. “Good” questions just mean that these are the types of questions that are amenable to a quick straightforward answer (probably).

Sample “Bad” Questions:
How do I play Pathfinder? (Great question, but not for this thread.)
What is a good 10 level TWF build? (Far too broad and requires much opinion)
Which is better GURPS or D&D?

Sample “Good” Questions:
Q.1. Are there any Large for PC races?
Q.2. As a sorcerer/rogue, do I get to add sneak attack damage to my attack spells?
Q.3. What effect would Dispel Magic have on a golem or similar construct?
Q.4. Is there a feat that allows me to get a familiar?

{The first several versions of this thread seemed to run pretty efficiently, but if you have any comments about how this thread could be improved please PM me.}

Krazzman
2011-09-06, 12:13 PM
Ok, since I don't have the Bestiary in Hardcover and hate reading PDFs I've got some questions.

Q1.) What can now be affected by Sneak Attack and Crits? (It seemed the Undead template changed alot).

Q2.) Is Item creation on your own still viable as Caster?

That's at least that, what comes to my mind. (yeah I'm a bit rusty in the last times...)

Have a nice Day, Krazzman

Yora
2011-09-06, 12:16 PM
"I am Yora, and I approve this freaking thread."

Q3: If I play a lizardfolk character (CR 1) in a party of 2nd level characters, do I start the game with 2 racial HD and one class level?
Do I gain my second class level (and 4th hit die) at the same amount of XP as the other characters gain 3rd level?

Zherog
2011-09-06, 12:20 PM
Ok, since I don't have the Bestiary in Hardcover and hate reading PDFs I've got some questions.

Almost everything is available online in the Pathfinder SRD (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/). In addition to the copy on Paizo's site, there's other 3rd party editions out there.

Q1.) What can now be affected by Sneak Attack and Crits? (It seemed the Undead template changed alot).

A1

Undead is not - and never has been - a template. It's a creature type.

Undead, as a type, are no longer immune to sneak attack or critical hits. Specific creatures can still maintain immunity. (I'm drawing a blank on an example at the moment.

Q2.) Is Item creation on your own still viable as Caster?

Asking whether something is viable or not is not within the scope of this thread, as it doesn't deal with the RAW (rules as written) but instead deals with opinions.

edit:

Q3: If I play a lizardfolk character (CR 1) in a party of 2nd level characters, do I start the game with 2 racial HD and one class level?
Do I gain my second class level (and 4th hit die) at the same amount of XP as the other characters gain 3rd level?

A3

For monsters with racial Hit Dice, the best way to allow monster PCs is to pick a CR and allow all of the players to make characters using monsters of that CR. Treat the monster's CR as its total class levels and allow the characters to multiclass into the core classes. Do not advance such monsters by adding Hit Dice. Monster PCs should only advance through classes.

If you are including a single monster character in a group of standard characters, make sure the group is of a level that is at least as high as the monster's CR. Treat the monster's CR as class levels when determining the monster PC's overall levels. For example, in a group of 6th-level characters, a minotaur (CR 4) would possess 2 levels of a core class, such as barbarian.

(That same quote should be in the Bestiary somewhere...)

So... your CR 1 lizardfolk with 1 class level would be treated the same as a human with 2 class levels. You would gain your 2nd class level when you have enough XP for 3rd level.

Yora
2011-09-06, 12:22 PM
A1: Taken from the Pathfinder SRD, which is usually up to date on additions of later books and erratas:

Immune to Precision Damage (like Sneak Attacks):
Elementals
Incorporeal (unless using a ghost touch attack) creatures
Oozes
Proteans (50% ignore)

Swarms can be Sneak Attacked, but not be flanked, so you'd have to find other ways to get Sneak Attack against them.

Krazzman
2011-09-06, 12:28 PM
Asking whether something is viable or not is not within the scope of this thread, as it doesn't deal with the RAW (rules as written) but instead deals with opinions.

Argh seem to have mixed up the vocab, sry, I meant if this by RAW imposes a penality like in 3.5 (where the Artificer replaced the XP cost through Craftpoints). So by RAW my question should be:

Q2.) Can Craftpoints still be used to create magic items?

The Awesome
2011-09-06, 12:30 PM
Q4- If an outsider has Dimensional Anchor cast upon it, will it be transported back to its home plane if targeted with Dismissal?

Zherog
2011-09-06, 12:32 PM
A2 additional

Craft points don't exist in Pathfinder RAW. While Pathfinder is built on a 3.5 foundation, it has it's own ruleset. So while I appreciate what you're asking, it's still not really a topic for this thread. It's a great topic (in my opinion) and I'd encourage you to start a thread on it.

DonDuckie
2011-09-06, 12:41 PM
Q5.) Can I cast a spell standing out of harms way, walk up to a target, and deliver a touch attack in one round.

Rules say I get free touch attack in same round, and that I can move between casting and delivering the touch.

Zherog
2011-09-06, 01:03 PM
A5

Yes, you answered your own question.

Here's the rules quote for everybody else:

Touch Spells in Combat: Many spells have a range of touch. To use these spells, you cast the spell and then touch the subject. In the same round that you cast the spell, you may also touch (or attempt to touch) as a free action. You may take your move before casting the spell, after touching the target, or between casting the spell and touching the target. You can automatically touch one friend or use the spell on yourself, but to touch an opponent, you must succeed on an attack roll.

Blisstake
2011-09-06, 01:57 PM
Q4- If an outsider has Dimensional Anchor cast upon it, will it be transported back to its home plane if targeted with Dismissal?

A4

No - If it travels to a different plane, that's extradimensional travel, which is prevented by Dimensional Anchor.

Geigan
2011-09-06, 07:06 PM
Q6

Can animated weapons (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/magus/magus-arcana/3rd-party-publishers/rite-publishing---magus-arcana/animate-weapon-su) be affected by the arcane strike (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/arcane-strike-combat) feat?

Zherog
2011-09-06, 07:25 PM
A6

Arcane Strike doesn't say the weapon needs to be wielded, or even held. It simply says, "your weapons..." Given that, I'd say yes.

Geigan
2011-09-06, 07:28 PM
Q7

Would animated weapons (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/magus/magus-arcana/3rd-party-publishers/rite-publishing---magus-arcana/animate-weapon-su) also benefit from the imp. critical feat (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/improved-critical-combat-) if they're the weapon you've designated for it?

RndmNumGen
2011-09-06, 07:50 PM
A7

No, due to the text of Animate Weapon:

The weapon never gains a flanking bonus, nor does it provide one for another attacker, and her feats do not aid its attacks.

I would also like to state I approve of this thread :smallbiggrin:

Zherog
2011-09-06, 07:51 PM
A 7 and revised A6

Actually, I'm changing my previous answer. The answer to both #6 and #7 seems to be no.

he weapon never gains a flanking bonus, nor does it provide one for another attacker, and her feats do not aid its attacks.

(emphasis mine)

Geigan
2011-09-06, 07:55 PM
Ah there we go. Missed that bit in the wall o' text.

Blisstake
2011-09-06, 08:09 PM
Q8

Other than taking the evocation school, is there any way for a wizard to increase the damage of their direct damage-dealing spells? Note that I'm not looking for caster level increases, but rather +X damage with spells that deal direct damage (such as evocation spec.) or +X damage per die of damage rolled (such as Draconic Bloodline's Bloodline Arcana).

Curious
2011-09-06, 08:44 PM
A8: Dipping a level in Crossblooded Dragon-Orc Sorceror.

Blisstake
2011-09-06, 08:46 PM
I already mentioned Sorc bloodlines (which wouldn't necesarily have to be a crossblood). Let me clarify - I'm asking how a wizard specifically can get the bonus (and now let me specifically add without multiclassing); I'm well aware that sorcs have a few options available to them.

panaikhan
2011-09-07, 07:36 AM
Q9 (I think)
Reading about Summoners and Eidolons.
Eidolons have a Rake evolution that states "for a successful grapple, the Eidolon can have two Rake attacks".
Is that EVERY successful grapple? Can you grapple a target multiple times (and get two free attacks for each)?

Blisstake
2011-09-07, 09:33 AM
A9

According to the universal monster rules:

"A monster with the rake ability must begin its turn already grappling to use its rake—it can’t begin a grapple and rake in the same turn."

So basically, you can get the attacks each round that you began with a grapple. Since you have to have started the round in a grapple, you could only get this bonus, at most, once per turn.

Zejety
2011-09-07, 10:17 AM
Q10

Imagine I use a whip and successfully trip an enemy who has a 5ft range from 10ft away.
Can he (in one turn) use his movement action to get up, take a 5ft-step and attack me with his normal action? Or does standing up from being prone count as movement in regards to 5ft-steps?

Blisstake
2011-09-07, 10:31 AM
A10

It's not explicitly stated in the rules, but it appears as if standing prone does not count as movement in regards to performing a 5 foot step.

5 foot step:

"You can't take more than one 5-foot step in a round, and you can't take a 5-foot step in the same round that you move any distance."

By standing up prone you are still in the same spot you started off in.

Move:

"The simplest move action is moving your speed. If you take this kind of move action during your turn, you can't also take a 5-foot step."

Explicitly stated here that a regular move action doesn't let you 5 foot step.

Stand Up:

"Standing up from a prone position requires a move action and provokes attacks of opportunity."

It's not mentioned under Stand Up, however, which would imply it does allow a 5-foot step.

Zherog
2011-09-07, 10:34 AM
A10 slight correction

Maybe it's picking semantic nits, but...

Move:

"The simplest move action is moving your speed. If you take this kind of move action during your turn, you can't also take a 5-foot step."

Explicitly stated here that a regular move action doesn't let you 5 foot step.

The last sentence is incorrect -- move actions do not preclude a 5-foot step. Movement does.

That said, I agree completely with Blisstake's general answer to the question: standing from prone is a move action, but it is not movement. So a 5-foot step is still permitted.

Blisstake
2011-09-07, 10:38 AM
That isn't contrary to anything I stated. I was just saying that the "move" move action specifically mentions not being able to 5-foot step.

Zherog
2011-09-07, 10:42 AM
A10 Additional

I see it clearer now... You're using the term "regular" move action for movement, and I misinterpreted that somehow.

Conclusion: I need even more caffeine this morning...

RndmNumGen
2011-09-08, 12:17 AM
Q11:
If I have an INT penalty of -2 and level in a class that only gives 2 skill points per level, do I get 0 skills points per level or 1 skill point? I thought I remember reading something about always getting at least 1 skill point, but I can't find it.

Q11A:
If you always get a minimum of 1 skill point, would being a Human bring that up to 2 even if you have a large INT penalty, or is that counted in the same way INT bonus is?

gomanfox
2011-09-08, 02:04 AM
A11:
You always get at least one skill point per level

You apply your character's Intelligence modifier to:
The number of skill points gained each level, though your character always gets at least 1 skill point per level.

A11A:
I'm not sure about the part with humans, but since the ability reads that humans get an extra skill rank when they level rather than an extra skill point, I would think that a human character would still get it, even with a large INT penalty.

Skilled: Humans gain an additional skill rank at first level and one additional rank whenever they gain a level.

panaikhan
2011-09-08, 07:07 AM
Q9 addendum.
I'm still a little confused about the Eidolon evolutions.
Quadruped Eidolons can add a 'grab' ability to a natural claw attack, to give them a free grapple on a successful hit.
They can then add the 'rake' ability to the same attack, that states they get two rake attacks on a successful grapple.

Am I to understand that these 'rakes' happen in the next round (and only once, meaning I have to let the target go and grapple them again to trigger them)?

Blisstake
2011-09-08, 08:13 AM
A9 Again

I was going off the Rake rules in Universal Monster Rules which state that you need to begin your turn in a grapple to make any rake attacks. However, specifc overrides general, and the eidolon rake says you can make the attacks whenever you make a grapple check.

So the eidolon gets the attacks whenever it succeeds on a grapple check against the target. Disregard what I said previously.

It is not mentioned what kind of action attacking with a rake is, so then we look at Universal Monster Rules, which says that Rake is a free action.

Larpus
2011-09-08, 08:48 AM
A11A
The human racial abilities are, as the name says, racial abilities or "something that makes this race different from other races", so it only makes sense to me that a human regardless of Int score and class should have 1 more skill than anything else with the same score and class; so in the given example, the human has two, everyone else only gets one.

EDIT: Wording was a bit weird and off.

Xtomjames
2011-09-08, 11:32 AM
A4

No - If it travels to a different plane, that's extradimensional travel, which is prevented by Dimensional Anchor.

Incorrect, it states blatantly in the Dimensional Anchor and Dimensional Lock spells that it doesn't interfere with a summoned creature from disappearing at the end of the summoning period. Dismissal ends a summoning spell prematurely forcing a summoned creature back to where it came from. Please read page 270 of the PF core rulebook.

Re: Simple Q&A Pathfinder (By RAW) I
Q6

Can animated weapons be affected by the arcane strike feat?"
A6-7
Animate Weapon is a third party ability, however it reads:
"The weapon deals its standard damage, including any bonuses and abilities it gains from magical enchantments."

So any magical bonus granted either via spell or feat would still apply to the animated weapon. That said (A7) it would seam to me that the Imp Critical strike enhancement isn't a magical one, but one that relies on you're character's prowess, much like an feat that physically affects your abilities rather than magically enhances them. So much like weapon finesse or blind-fight, these feats can't be applied to the animated weapon.

Because it's a third party ability however, and shouldn't be a Supernatural ability in the first place, but either a spell or spell-like ability (as provided in 3.5 D&D) I'd argue the RAW is rather debunk in this case and not expressly in line with the rules of Pathfinder.

Q8

Other than taking the evocation school, is there any way for a wizard to increase the damage of their direct damage-dealing spells? Note that I'm not looking for caster level increases, but rather +X damage with spells that deal direct damage (such as evocation spec.) or +X damage per die of damage rolled (such as Draconic Bloodline's Bloodline Arcana).

There are a few ways, metamagic feats for example. The Reborn Soul bloodline from the Pathfinder enhancement The Book of Arcane Magic is a good place to start or the sorc bloodline Wrath from the Class Options Vol 1 document grant you access to some more powerful spells and metamagic feats as bonus feats.

From the same web enhancement Class Options Vol 1 there is the feat Ancient Nemesis which allows you to add damage and DC against a chosen bloodline that becomes your arch-nemesis. Another feat to consider though it doesn't exactly meet your needs is the Sorcerous Bloodstrike which grants you a bloodline power back after reducing an enemy to 0 or less hit points (Ultimate Magic). Metamagic-wise, Burning Spell, Concussion Spell, Rime Spell and Toppling spell will work wonders for you. some of them add a direct bonus to damage (initial and after affects) others will do more interesting stuff.

Q9 (I think)
Reading about Summoners and Eidolons.
Eidolons have a Rake evolution that states "for a successful grapple, the Eidolon can have two Rake attacks".
Is that EVERY successful grapple? Can you grapple a target multiple times (and get two free attacks for each)?

The rake ability is using natural weapons to gain extra attacks while grappling a foe. Once grappled each turn the grapple remains successful you can do extra attacks via rake. Usually a summoned creature that has fore and hind claws and a bite attack will grapple with the fore claws and via rake attack twice, once with a bite attack and once with the hind claws. It's not really two free attacks so much as full round attack that includes grapple. Read the section on Rake page 303 of the Bestiary

Q10

Imagine I use a whip and successfully trip an enemy who has a 5ft range from 10ft away.
Can he (in one turn) use his movement action to get up, take a 5ft-step and attack me with his normal action? Or does standing up from being prone count as movement in regards to 5ft-steps?

First thing to note, page 568, standing from prone (as is the case with 3.5 as well) is a move-equivalent action which provokes attacks of opportunity.

On page 189 it states "You can move 5 feet in any round when you don't perform any other kind of movement." Thus, the attacker could not stand up and then take a 5 foot step and attack you, and you'd have an AoO to retrip him.

Q11:
If I have an INT penalty of -2 and level in a class that only gives 2 skill points per level, do I get 0 skills points per level or 1 skill point? I thought I remember reading something about always getting at least 1 skill point, but I can't find it.

Q11A:
If you always get a minimum of 1 skill point, would being a Human bring that up to 2 even if you have a large INT penalty, or is that counted in the same way INT bonus is?

If you have a -2, then your assumed skill bonus is 0 from your ability score. You can't get negative skill points. As such there is no class that gets only 1 skill point per level, the minimum you can get is 2. Under the intelligence description page 17 it does state you always get a minimum of 1 skill point per level but in the same line it says "Some creatures do not posses an intelligence score, their modifier is a +0 for any intelligent based checks." Thus I'll argue here that as I did above that if you have a -2 from having an INT of 6-7 for the purposes of your skill points at least treat it as a +0.

I hope this answers your questions.

Zherog
2011-09-08, 12:14 PM
Incorrect, it states blatantly in the Dimensional Anchor and Dimensional Lock spells that it doesn't interfere with a summoned creature from disappearing at the end of the summoning period. Dismissal ends a summoning spell prematurely forcing a summoned creature back to where it came from. Please read page 270 of the PF core rulebook.

A4 additional

The question didn't specifically ask about summoned creatures, just outsiders. There are other ways beyond summoning for an outsider to get to the material plane. As such, your answer is, at best, incomplete.

Zejety
2011-09-08, 12:44 PM
A10

Correcting someone who answered my own question :smallbiggrin:

you'd have an AoO to retrip him.

Whip's don't threaten any squares so you can't retrip as an AoO.

The whip is treated as a melee weapon with 15-foot reach, though you don't threaten the area into which you can make an attack.

Xtomjames
2011-09-08, 01:25 PM
On dismissal versus dimensional anchor: I'll expand a bit here. Dismissal isn't technically a spell that causes dimensional travel rather it's a shunting spell that forces a creature rather than magically transporting a creature extradimensionally back to its home plane or a different plane. In this case I'd argue that an extraplanar creature should be treated as a summoned creature and the dimensional anchor doesn't prevent dismissal from forcing it back to its home plane.

A more complex method of looking at this is Dismissal could be seen as a direct counterspell to a dimension anchored in regards to extraplanar creatures. In which case the two opposed spell casters would have to do opposed concentration checks to see if the spell affects remained and then the EP creature would gain a will save versus the spell caster casting dismissal presuming that person won and beat the EP's SR.

In this case Dimensional Anchor is meant to oppose any dimensional travel, in the same regards Dismissal is a type of forced dimensional travel (though I argue that it's not above...it's rather vague). Unlike in D&D 3.5, Pathfinder has a set of rules for higher level spells overcoming lower level spells which is applied to all cases, and since Dismissal is a higher level spell than Dimension Anchor another possibility is it just over coming the lower level spell.

Unfortunately the rules on this are actually very vague and having read through the Core Rulebook, Advanced Player's Guide, the GMG, and a handful of supplements for the pathfinder system, I can say without a doubt that in the very least this is something the DM will have to decide since the rules are vague or non-existent.

On Whips: AoO from a person standing varies, and it gets rather complicated depending on the circumstances and type of whip used.

A plain whip doesn't threaten a space in it's reach, however you are considered armed for the purposes of AoO. Further, if you have tripped a person with a whip most of the time, unless you have purposely withdrawn the whip (withdrawing is a free action which is why most people ignore this about the whip), the whip stays wrapped around the leg of the opponent you've just tripped. Because you're considered armed for the purposes of an AoO with a whip (as though you had a spiked gauntlet) you're threatened range is only five feet. If in fact the whip is still wrapped around the opponent's leg, then your use no longer provokes an AoO from others (as it would normally, like a ranged weapon) and you gain AoO against the opponent you've tripped. For the purposes of determining the affects of the whip on the opponent while it is still wrapped around his/her leg, they are considered entangled until such time that you either remove it by withdrawing it, or they cut the whip.

With a spiked or bladed whip you actually gain a threat range of the length of the whip it's self, and in most cases if you're proficient with this type of whip you've had to meet the requirements for it which means you no longer garner AoO against yourself while using it. The same goes for the spiked chain and chain whip. Further there are feats that go beyond the normal uses of these weapons that allow you to garner greater threat ranges on the whip style weapons and to be able to use them for AoO

Larpus
2011-09-08, 07:29 PM
The last bit of Xtomjames' post refers directly to what I'll ask:

Q12
I know you can't threaten or make AoO with a normal whip, but why exactly is that? It's just "because the rules say so" or is it because it doesn't cause lethal damage? Either way, the question is specifically can you threat and/or make AoOs with the Scorpion Whip?

Xtomjames
2011-09-08, 08:35 PM
Pathfinder is sketchy on the whips that do lethal damage versus non-lethal. The best I can offer is that you can threaten with any weapon that can cause lethal damage and is a melee weapon (reach or not). The scorpion whip can cause lethal damage so, it can threaten for AoO.

Edit: As to why, I explained in a different thread talking about whips for 3.5 and there isn't much change from 3.5 to PF in regards to whips. The rules surrounding whips changes a lot between various books in 3.5 and so it's hard to pin down what is what when it comes to them.

The rules listed for the plain standard whip seem only to apply to that whip, and each variant whip has it's own written rules. Because of the likeness to other weapons (like the segmented sword and whip sword which you can threaten with) I'll stick with my point on melee weapons and lethal damage.

Geigan
2011-09-08, 09:30 PM
Q13

One more time. Do other Magus Arcana such as accurate strike (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/magus/magus-arcana/paizo---magus-arcana/accurate-strike-ex) or arcane accuracy (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/magus/magus-arcana/paizo---magus-arcana/arcane-accuracy-su) work with animated weapons (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/magus/magus-arcana/3rd-party-publishers/rite-publishing---magus-arcana/animate-weapon-su)?

Larpus
2011-09-09, 01:50 AM
Q14
Can an Alchemist (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/alchemist) qualify for Arcane Strike (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/arcane-strike-combat) despite the fact that they don't actually cast spells? Is there an answer or it's just a DM call?

Q15
The Rogue ability Trapfinding (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/rogue#TOC-Trapfinding) specifically mentions that it allows the Rogue to use Disable Device to disarm magical traps. Are there other ways to disarm such traps other than Dispel?

Q15a
Can a caster or half-caster class use Disable Device (supposing that they either get it as a class skill or grab it as such via traits) to disarm such traps? Seems weird that a non-casting class knows how to disarm magical traps but a class with actual knowledge of magic doesn't.

Q16
Per RAW PF rules, are the lists for Summon Monster/Nature Ally, Familiar, Improved Familiar, etc set in stone or they're just guidelines to what you can do with these spells/feats/whatever they are?

Yora
2011-09-09, 02:13 AM
A12: The description for whip says it does not threaten the area in which you can make attacks. You can only make AoOs against enemies you threaten, and with a whip, you never threaten anyone.

Scorpion whip does not have that line, so it does not fall under those limitations.

A13: I would say no. The weapon acts as a seperate creature. Accurate Strike and Arcane Accuracy only affect the maguses own attack rolls. An animated weapon makes its own attacks in addition to and seperate from the maguses own attacks.

A14: RAW says spells and alchemist does not cast spells. So no.

A15a: Only if they have the Trapfinding class feature.

A16: As written, the spells don't say anything about making changes. But as with anything else, the GM can change them as he seems fit.

Xtomjames
2011-09-09, 09:06 AM
A12: The description for whip says it does not threaten the area in which you can make attacks. You can only make AoOs against enemies you threaten, and with a whip, you never threaten anyone.

Scorpion whip does not have that line, so it does not fall under those limitations.

A13: I would say no. The weapon acts as a seperate creature. Accurate Strike and Arcane Accuracy only affect the maguses own attack rolls. An animated weapon makes its own attacks in addition to and seperate from the maguses own attacks.

A14: RAW says spells and alchemist does not cast spells. So no.

A15a: Only if they have the Trapfinding class feature.

A16: As written, the spells don't say anything about making changes. But as with anything else, the GM can change them as he seems fit.

A13: Animate Weapon doesn't exist in Pathfinder by RAW standard. None of the spells in the game or feats are designed to work with it and further the third party version linked to originally doesn't operate in the same way as the 3.5 version. That said, Arcane Accuracy is a definite not, the bonus is to himself not to his weapon. Accurate Strike however I'll argue it does. It says the bonus goes to his weapon, this is regardless of if the weapon is animated or not. The animated weapon is his weapon, even if it is acting on its own via magic. However, I'd point out the moment the Magus used another weapon in hand, the bonus would probably and logically return to the one in hand. The functionality in this case is left up to interpretation of poor wording which isn't designed to operate with animate weapon.

A14 correction: alchemists cast spells through their alchemical infusions, so yes they can take Arcane Strike. From page 26 under the Alchemy entry, "In effect, an alchemist prepares his spells by mixing ingredients into a number of extracts, and then "casts" his spells by drinking the extract."

In the case of most of the bombs, they're considered magical explosions which SR applies to, thus Arcane Strike should apply.

A15/15a: There are other means of disarming traps, setting them off for one at a safe distance, using gizmos to disarm them for you or to set them off, dispel, anti-magic field and other spells that can affect mechanical and or counterspell a trap's spell.

Any person with the disable device as a skill can attempt to disarm a Known Trap. The problem is most traps are hidden and to know of it you have to be able to detect it. There are means of detecting it outside of Trapfinding.

A16: The lists in PF are guidelines not absolutes. The DM can add to or remove from the lists, or may allow anything they see as appropriate.

Blisstake
2011-09-09, 09:31 AM
There are a few ways, metamagic feats for example. The Reborn Soul bloodline from the Pathfinder enhancement The Book of Arcane Magic is a good place to start or the sorc bloodline Wrath from the Class Options Vol 1 document grant you access to some more powerful spells and metamagic feats as bonus feats.

As far as I'm aware there are no metamagics that give +X to spell damage or +X damage for each die rolled. I also specified later if there's a way to do it without multiclassing out of wizard.

First thing to note, page 568, standing from prone (as is the case with 3.5 as well) is a move-equivalent action which provokes attacks of opportunity.

On page 189 it states "You can move 5 feet in any round when you don't perform any other kind of movement." Thus, the attacker could not stand up and then take a 5 foot step and attack you, and you'd have an AoO to retrip him.

That depends how you view "move-equivalent." It could mean either that it requires a move action or counts as a move. Note that under the "move" move-action, it states that this doesn't allow you to five foot step. It also includes climb and crawl as the same type of action that would also not allow a 5 foot step. However, note that "stand up" gets its own separate move-action, where it doesn't mention anywhere that you can't do a five foot step anywhere.

The rules here a bit sketchy, and while I agree that it's probably intended that it doesn't allow a 5 foot step, the RAW are a bit unclear on this.

Zherog
2011-09-09, 09:36 AM
A15 disagreement

A15/15a: There are other means of disarming traps, setting them off for one at a safe distance, using gizmos to disarm them for you or to set them off, dispel, anti-magic field and other spells that can affect mechanical and or counterspell a trap's spell.

Any person with the disable device as a skill can attempt to disarm a Known Trap. The problem is most traps are hidden and to know of it you have to be able to detect it. There are means of detecting it outside of Trapfinding.

I think it's quite clear that only a character with the trapfinding class feature can disable a magical trap with the Disable Device skill. Detecting it, yes - anybody can make that Perception check. But the question was about disarming, and the answer provided by Yora was correct.

A 16 disagreement

A16: The lists in PF are guidelines not absolutes. The DM can add to or remove from the lists, or may allow anything they see as appropriate.

Could you provide a rules quote, please? I don't recall seeing one, and without such a statement the lists are, unfortunately, absolutes.

Lui
2011-09-09, 10:19 AM
i have 2 questions about the Called Shots variant (pathfinder ultimate magic)

1) is it a full round or standard action? (description says full round, talents say standard. in both cases i could't use it on a charge or full round attack, so the description doesn't help me)

2) what if i make a called shot with a ray spell? it says it is no longer a touch attack, it becomes a normal attack, but do i get the other penalty as well? (-2/-5/-10 for doing a called shot)

(hope these questions are good for the tread)

Xtomjames
2011-09-09, 10:24 AM
On Trapfinding: By RAW rules it does say that only a person with the Trapfinding ability may attempt to disable a magical trap. However, this rule ignores other means of detection and other means of disabling such a trap. A person with Detect Magic is more capable of detecting a magical trap than a Rogue, and if their disable device check is high enough there should be no reason for them not to be able to. The RAW has a logical defect. Further, I said a person with Disable Device may attempt to disarm a Known Trap, whether or not they succeed is a different matter, further still a Known Trap is any trap that is known to the person mechanical or magical.

On the summon nature's allies lists, it is an untyped rule, because we must presume that with the expansion of the series with the Bestiary 2 and other sources of monsters and potential natural summoning that the list its self will and can expand. The same goes for D&D 3.5, the lists aren't absolute, they're guidelines. They were written prior to the expansion of MM 2-5 and the Fiend Codexes, the Monsters Compendium of Faerun book, the Monsters Compendium of Eberron book, the Beastiary of Darksun, and the Shadowrun Beastiary of Kryn, all of which have other animals that weren't originally listed but are summonable via summon nature's ally.

In general animals and creatures capable of being used by summon nature's ally have a listing in their description, but this isn't always the case either (and Pathfinder from their original Beta release to their standard release ceased this practice).

In general however the list is a guideline. It gives a sense at what level spell gains access to what level CR creature.

Called Shot rules are found in the Ultimate Combat book mostly (I haven't come across them in the ultimate magic book yet).

In most cases a called shot is a full round action, you're taking the time to aim at a specific part of the body with a ranged spell or weapon gaining a negative which represents the difficulty of the attack.

Touch attacks and Ranged touch attacks from what I can tell do not gain the negatives but rather revert back to normal AC (thus making up for the difficulty of the attack).

Is the ray spell a ranged touch attack or a normal ranged spell? If it's a normal ranged spell treat it as if it got the negatives based on the difficulty of the aimed shot. If it's a ranged touch attack the attack goes against normal AC and gains no negatives. (This is because a ranged touch or normal touch attack is so close and so exact already normally it ignores the Armor Class and is already a very precise attack.)

A talent may allow you to do a called shot as a standard action. If you give a page number and name of the particular talent you're referring too I can have a read and let you know.

Zherog
2011-09-09, 10:37 AM
A person with Detect Magic is more capable of detecting a magical trap than a Rogue, and if their disable device check is high enough there should be no reason for them not to be able to. The RAW has a logical defect.

It doesn't matter if the RAW has a "logical defect" for the purposes of this thread. The RAW states that only a character with the trapfinding ability may use Disable Device on a magical trap. That statement doesn't preclude a cleric or wizard using dispel magic, since that's not a Disable Device check. It does, however, preclude the cleric or wizard (or any other character) from using the Disable Device skill. that's the RAW.

Further, I said a person with Disable Device may attempt to disarm a Known Trap, whether or not the succeed is a different matter, further still a Known Trap is any trap that is known to the person mechanical or magical.

This statement is misleading, at best.

Magic: Many spells can be used to create dangerous traps. Unless the spell or item description states otherwise, assume the following to be true.

* A successful Perception check (DC 25 + spell level) detects a magic trap before it goes off.
* Magic traps permit a saving throw in order to avoid the effect (DC 10 + spell level × 1.5).
* Magic traps may be disarmed by a character with the trapfinding class feature with a successful Disable Device skill check (DC 25 + spell level). Other characters have no chance to disarm a magic trap with a Disable Device check.
(emphasis mine)

On the summon nature's allies lists, it is an untyped rule, because we must presume that with the expansion of the series with the Bestiary 2 and other sources of monsters and potential natural summoning that the list its self will and can expand.

Sorry, but you're incorrect when discussing RAW. RAW makes no assumptions at all, and goes only by what is written in the books. It is certainly possible that a specific monster entry in Bestiary 2 or the upcoming Bestiary 3 could add a creature to one of those lists. But without such a clause in the monster's entry, it isn't on the list by RAW. It's certainly reasonable for a GM to add it. But that's outside the scope of RAW.

Again, the purpose of this thread (and others like it) is a pure Rules As Written discussion. Assumptions have no part in it. Reasonable interpretations have no part in it. Yes, that means there's going to be some unreasonable answers; but that doesn't make the answer wrong.

I think both of these points have been beat to death (at least within the context of this thread). My recommendation is that if there needs to be further discussion on either that a new thread is started.

Xtomjames
2011-09-09, 11:12 AM
Yes, but you're also ignoring intended rules that are constantly untyped that exist in the game. Further, my original statement wasn't misleading at all. Any person can attempt to disable a known trap, following RAW, success is determined on if they have the Trapfinding special ability or not when it comes to magical traps. More often than not, if it is a magical trap, and the person knows of it but didn't use detect magic, then they set the trap and have the ability to disarm it anyways.

Which means in the rare instances where a magical trap is detected via a detect magic spell the spell user, if dispel is available to them can dispel it hence disabling the trap.

If they use the disable device skill it would fail by RAW rules, but again as I've stated it's illogical that one who doesn't have the trapfinding ability can't disable the trap and it should be houseruled so that anyone who can detect the trap and has the disable device skill can in fact disable a magical trap.

On the matter of the Summoned nature's allies list I'll leave you with a post from the Paizo forums from one of the writers

Originally Posted by James Jacobs
We really just don't want to bloat the summon monster tables with too many choices, honestly. It's already kinda hard to choose a monster; making there be TOO many choices spread across TOO many books just leads to option paralysis in game and that's not good.

Adding new monsters to the summon monster lists is a great house rule. And we add a few here and there in the deity articles we print every four volumes in Pathifnder. But beyond that... we are unlikely to officially expand the summon spells with new Bestairies. Just not a direction we're interested in going.http://paizo.com/paizo/messageboards/paizoPublishing/pathfinder/pathfinderRPG/rules/expandedSummonNaturesAlliesList

(My emphasis added). In other words, even the writers suggest that it's a good "houserule" (if you follow the Houserule guidelines in the GMG) and that they've already added a few creatures outside of the list officially in their articles.

I'll leave with this: what is the point of answering a question with purely RAW answers if you can't offer logical reasoning or pointed and valuable options that are outside of RAW that actually work? I get this is a RAW thread, and I've answered everything with RAW information, but there is no reason why I can't supply more information and logical methods of working with the RAW to better the game.

Zherog
2011-09-09, 11:41 AM
nice quote. That should've come up earlier when I asked for something. However, I'll point to the sentence before the one you highlighted. "Adding new monsters to the summon monster lists is a great house rule."

Exactly what I said. Adding them is a house rule and outside the scope of this thread, no matter how good the idea is.

Again, I think we're way beyond the point of "quick" answers on both of these topics. I think any further discussion should go to a new thread.

I'll leave with this: what is the point of answering a question with purely RAW answers if you can't offer logical reasoning or pointed and valuable options that are outside of RAW that actually work? I get this is a RAW thread, and I've answered everything with RAW information, but there is no reason why I can't supply more information and logical methods of working with the RAW to better the game.

The scope of the thread, as outlined by the mod who started it, is to provide quick RAW answers. There's no room, in this thread, for discussion. There's no room, in this thread, for trying to figure out RAI (rules as intended). Those are great things, to be sure. Just not in this thread.

For precedent on this matter, go look at the other RAW threads.

Xtomjames
2011-09-09, 11:56 AM
In any case I'll do things, start a Rules as Intended thread and post this http://www.d20pfsrd.com/extras/pathfinder-faq

Many questions being asked here are answered in the above FAQ.

Zherog
2011-09-09, 12:01 PM
Ooh, the official FAQ is a great resource, especially since they include errata in it. Can't believe I forgot about it - thanks for posting it.

Also, I've asked Mark to pop in and post an official answer on the meta-topic. Because I do think there's value to what you're proposing and so if it can fit within the confines of the thread, that's great. I've been wrong before, and I'm not afraid of being wrong again.

Cheers!

LibraryOgre
2011-09-09, 02:07 PM

The Mod Wonder: The point is that this thread is for a very specific purpose. Not the discussion of problems with the rules, just specific answers to specific questions. A good rule of thumb is if you cannot provide a direct quotation, from a printed source or official errata, to answer the question, it's not an appropriate answer for this thread. If you have an answer you want to start discussion for, feel free to start another thread for the discussion of it... we're not asking you to stifle your discussions. Just take discussions to another thread, to make this one easier and cleaner to follow.

Paul H
2011-09-09, 03:06 PM
The Mod Wonder: The point is that this thread is for a very specific purpose. Not the discussion of problems with the rules, just specific answers to specific questions. A good rule of thumb is if you cannot provide a direct quotation, from a printed source or official errata, to answer the question, it's not an appropriate answer for this thread. If you have an answer you want to start discussion for, feel free to start another thread for the discussion of it... we're not asking you to stifle your discussions. Just take discussions to another thread, to make this one easier and cleaner to follow.

+1

Hi

PFS only use RAW plus erratas (ammended by Players' Guide etc).

RAI is a good discussion, but of absolutely no use for PFS games. (You can't 'Houserule' PFS games).

The bigger debate on Syntheist is on Paizo site with over 450 posts (so far).

http://paizo.com/paizo/messageboards/paizoPublishing/pathfinder/pathfinderRPG/rules/oneSynthesistSummonerThreadToRuleThemAll

Thanks
Paul H

Larpus
2011-09-10, 02:01 AM
Q18 (I guess that Lui's counted as 17)
Can you use any of the Craft Magical Shenanigans feat to craft something he wouldn't be able to by default as long as he has help from someone who can but doesn't have the feat?

To exemplify, I'm a Wizard and I grab Craft Wand, my friend Cleric doesn't have Craft Wand, but can he sit to my side for the whole crafting time and with our powers combined create a Wand of Cure Light Wounds or similar item?

Q19
Other than the obvious non-caster guy trying to use some spell completion or trigger item, exactly when a Use Magic Device check is needed?

Example, if a Sorcerer wants to use an arcane scroll, does he need to roll UMD? What about a Bard doing the same? What if the Bard is trying to use a Wand of CLW? It's divine, but he does have the spell on his list; also does it make any difference if he actually knows the spell or not?

Drelua
2011-09-10, 02:28 AM
A19 Whether the spell is arcane or not is irrelevant; it only matters of the spell is on your list, and you needn't know the spell. Besides, for a bard, cure spells are arcane.

Edit: From the PFSRD (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/skills/use-magic-device):

Use a Wand, Staff, or Other Spell Trigger Item: Normally, to use a wand, you must have the wand's spell on your class spell list. This use of the skill allows you to use a wand as if you had a particular spell on your class spell list.

Edit II: A18
Note that all items have prerequisites in their descriptions. These prerequisites must be met for the item to be created. Most of the time, they take the form of spells that must be known by the item's creator (although access through another magic item or spellcaster is allowed). The DC to create a magic item increases by 5 for each prerequisite the caster does not meet. The only exception to this is the requisite item creation feat, which is mandatory. In addition, you cannot create potions, scrolls, staves, wands, or any other spell-trigger or spell-completion magic item without meeting its prerequisites.
This may not exactly answer your question, but basically this says if an item directly replicates the effects of a spell, you must know the spell, but if the spell is required, but not replicated, such as with a ghost touch weapon requiring the plane shift spell, not knowing the spell simply raises the craft DC by 5. I'll look for a quote to more directly answer your actual question now, this just seemed like something you'd want to know.

Edit III: The magic item creation rules on the PFSRD repeatedly say that ''the creator'' must know the spell required, so it looks like you'll have to take the +5 to the DC if you want make an item that requires a spell you don't know, even if the cleric does, and you can't make that wand, or any potion, scroll, staff, or wand, for that matter. Apologies for the somewhat long-winded answer :smallbiggrin:

Xtomjames
2011-09-10, 05:12 AM
As far as I'm aware there are no metamagics that give +X to spell damage or +X damage for each die rolled. I also specified later if there's a way to do it without multiclassing out of wizard.

That depends how you view "move-equivalent." It could mean either that it requires a move action or counts as a move. Note that under the "move" move-action, it states that this doesn't allow you to five foot step. It also includes climb and crawl as the same type of action that would also not allow a 5 foot step. However, note that "stand up" gets its own separate move-action, where it doesn't mention anywhere that you can't do a five foot step anywhere.

The rules here a bit sketchy, and while I agree that it's probably intended that it doesn't allow a 5 foot step, the RAW are a bit unclear on this.
On the Metamagic: You're quite correct there aren't any specific metamagic feats that just grant a damage bonus, but there are those feats that maximize or add additional damage in general. Exaggerate Spell (D20 Feats book non-PF) does what he is looking for as does the Blood Magic feats (again non-PF), but none of the metamagic feats exist in Pathfinder. I suggests metamagic feats that do exist in PF that could add more damage.

On standing from prone: Standing from prone as I've already quoted is a move equivalent action. That is it either takes a move action or a standard action to stand from prone. The 5 foot step operates on the idea that you're making an adjustment to your position by using up your move action.

So in the confines of the question, could a person who is knocked prone stand up and then move five feet and attack after being tripped by a whip, the answer is no. The standing to prone is a move action, the 5 foot step rule section as quoted doesn't allow for use after your move action has been taken, and to attack would be your standard action. He could technically move 5 feet using his standard action as another move-equivalent action but then he wouldn't be able to attack.

@ Paul H

I don't mean to be a stick in the mud, but the Gamemastery Guide has plenty of rules and discussions about House Rules and the Pathfinder game system doesn't just use the RAW. Houserules are even suggested in the GMG and are discussed on pages 14, 20, and 76.

A19: Use Magic Device skill is used when the character otherwise couldn't use or does not know the spell in a magical item such as a wand. It allows the user to activate the wand by emulating the necessary abilities to use the magic item.

For example a Rogue picks up a wand of cure light wounds. The rogue can't cast the spell so normally he couldn't use the wand, but by making a Use Magic Device check to emulate the necessary prerequisites to use the wand (DC 20 check) he can then activate the wand. Use Magic Device is also used to emulate other class skills, alignment, class features, racial classes, etc. Essentially anything that could be used as a prerequisite to use a magical item Use Magic Device can be used to replicate it.

A18: I can't answer this, I've never heard of the Craft Magical Shenanigans feat, nor can I find it. If you can tell me what book it's from I'll have a read and get back to you.

Zherog
2011-09-10, 06:19 AM
The 5 foot step operates on the idea that you're making an adjustment to your position by using up your move action.

Huh? Maybe it's my lack of caffeine, but a 5-foot step does not use your move action.

The chart on page 183 of the Core Rulebook (also found in the PFSRD in the "Combat" section) clearly lists 5-foot step as "No Action." That is, taking a 5-foot step does not use up any of your actions.

If you take a move action to move 5 feet, that potentially provokes attacks of opportunity; if you take a 5-foot step, it doesn't provoke and you still have all your actions left.

Again, this thread doesn't have room for personal interpretations or opinions. The answer to the original question is clear, and has been provided. Standing from Prone is not classified as movement within the game rules, so a character can spend his move action standing from prone, take a 5-foot step, and then take a standard action.

If you'd like to discuss it further, we should probably move to your RAI thread.

edit: also, please remember to provide numbers for both questions and answers, as it helps make the thread easier to read.

Xtomjames
2011-09-10, 06:42 AM
{{scrubbed}}

Zherog
2011-09-10, 06:50 AM
{Scrubbed the post, scrub the quote.}

You are assigned "movement" to the action stand from prone, when it doesn't exist. "Movement" is a game-specific term, and so the dictionary definition gets tossed. Standing from prone, in game terms, isn't movement - it's a move-equivalent action, just like controlling a frightened mount, sheathing a blade or picking up an item. In fact, the latter is a good example. You have to move to pick up an item, but it isn't movement - you can still 5' step afterward.

"No listed speed" means, for example, you climb without a climb speed, or swim without a swim speed.

{Scrubbed the post, scrub the quote.}

This is true, though slightly misleading. In those circumstances, you cannot take a 5-foot step and instead have to use your move action to traverse the 5 feet, provoking attacks of opportunity as normal.

Again, it's time to move on. This thread isn't for discussions.

Yora
2011-09-10, 08:41 AM
i have 2 questions about the Called Shots variant (pathfinder ultimate magic)

1) is it a full round or standard action? (description says full round, talents say standard. in both cases i could't use it on a charge or full round attack, so the description doesn't help me)

2) what if i make a called shot with a ray spell? it says it is no longer a touch attack, it becomes a normal attack, but do i get the other penalty as well? (-2/-5/-10 for doing a called shot)

(hope these questions are good for the tread)

Please use the numbering system used here, so people can easily spot there's a new question and you can find the answer to that question:

So let's make it
Q17:

A17a: I guess you are refering to the Improved Called Shot feat. Normally, making a called shot is a Full-Round-Action. If you have the Improved Called Shot feat, you can also make called shots as regular attacks during Standard Attack and Full Attack actions.

A17b: The only difference is that you have to reach the targets standard AC instead of it's touch AC when making a called shot with a ranged touch attack. All other modifiers still apply to such spells just like they would to any attack with a weapon.

Next Question is Q20.

Blisstake
2011-09-10, 09:12 AM
A17a: I guess you are refering to the Improved Called Shot feat. Normally, making a called shot is a Full-Round-Action. If you have the Improved Called Shot feat, you can also make called shots as regular attacks during Standard Attack and Full Attack actions.

A17 specification -

Minor note, but Improved Called Shot only lets you trade in a single attack during a full attack for a called shot. Greater Called Shot allows you to replace any of your attacks in a round with a called shot.

FelixG
2011-09-10, 09:49 AM
Q20

I have a GM who insists it is not possible to ready an action outside of combat because it is a "special initiative action" while I think it can be done at any time, just as you can cast a spell at any time and you can draw a weapon at any time. So the question is, Can you ready an action when not in combat?

Yora
2011-09-10, 10:08 AM
A20: If you want to ready yourself for something, it would be my personal oppinion that you already are in an encounter, even if it's a noncombat encounter or neither you nor your enemies have yet directly spotted each other.

If an ally climbs a wall and you ready an action to cast feather fall, this is a noncombat encounter.
If your allies are about to kick open a door and you ready an action to shot your crossbow at anyone you can see beyond the doorway, this is an encounter situation. If there is actually someone in the room or not, is unimportant.

However, this is to my knowledge never explicitly written down anywhere.

Xtomjames
2011-09-11, 06:10 AM
A20 (explained): See pages 397 on encounters and 203 for ready action in the core rule book.

Readying an action tends to rely on by RAW initiative. Depending on the style of your DM, encounters may or may not all use initiative. An encounter is defined in the book as anything that requires the group to solve an issue or over come an obstacle (be it monsters or disarming a trap).

By RAW standards your DM is correct, because technically speaking outside of initiative actions can take place simultaneously. This is more of a function of actually gaming and playing your character. Outside of Initiative if you want to "ready an action" just wait until an action occurs that you want to preemptively act upon and say so. Unless of course your DM does turn order for out of combat/encounter playing, in which case s/he should allow for the readying of an action.

Yora
2011-09-11, 07:49 AM
Q21: Planetouched like Sylphs gain a bonus to caster level with elemental domain spells. Though RAW speaks only of clerics, has there been a statement that a similar thing applies to oracles with elemental mysteries?

Xtomjames
2011-09-11, 09:39 AM
Q21: Planetouched like Sylphs gain a bonus to caster level with elemental domain spells. Though RAW speaks only of clerics, has there been a statement that a similar thing applies to oracles with elemental mysteries?

A21:
I'm not sure where you're reading this. The Sylph gains no such bonuses according to the Beastiary 2 (page 258). Further the Sylph is a medium outsider (native) not planetouched (according to the listing). They do gain a bonus as a sorcerer to their Charisma if they have the Element Bloodline (Air).

Planetouched as far as I'm aware doesn't even exist (yet) in Pathfinder and the closest I could find was http://www.pathfinderdb.com/character-options/races/217-planetouched

Most are considered Outsider (native) and have minor bonuses to various types of magic if at all. None seem to be related to the Cleric Domains and I don't think that they'd apply to the Oracle's elemental mysteries.

Psyren
2011-09-11, 11:36 AM
Q22: This is sparked from some reading I did for the "Quadruped" thread. PF appears to have ported over the "Body Slot" rules from 3.5, with a couple of alterations (i.e. expanding the number of body slots from 11 to 14.) However, the body slot rules (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/magicItems.html) continually specify the term "humanoid-shaped."

Is there any errata, clarification or other ruling that expands body slots to non-humanoid forms? Or is there any definition of "humanoid-shaped" that goes on to discuss non-humanoid shapes? And if so, is there a ruling from a Pathfinder source (similar to 3.5 Rules Compendium pg. 84) that specifies how you can treat body slots on non-humanoid characters?

Blisstake
2011-09-11, 11:45 AM
A22: No, to my knowledge, there is no official ruling on that. However, I think it's safe to assume that if a non-humanoid creature has the proper body type for a slot, then it should be able to use it. (For example, if a creature doesn't have a neck, it can't use a neck slot, but if it does, even if it's non-humanoid, then it should be able to use a magic necklace)

Planetouched as far as I'm aware doesn't even exist (yet) in Pathfinder and the closest I could find was http://www.pathfinderdb.com/character-options/races/217-planetouched

Planetouched isn't official. It's the fan category for Ifrits, Slyphs, Undines, Oreads, Aasimar, and Tieflings, since that was the term used in 3.5.

Yora
2011-09-11, 11:50 AM
@21: Yes it does: "Air Mastery: Sylph sorcerers with the Elemental (air) bloodline treat their Charisma score as 2 points higher for all sorcerer class abilities. Sylph clerics with the Air domain cast their domain powers and spells at +1 caster level."

And yes, they are not called planetouched, but that doesn't change the fact that aasimar, ifrits, oreads, sylphs, tieflings, and undines are exactly that.

Question is still standing.

Zherog
2011-09-11, 06:19 PM
A 21

I've not seen anything official (though to paraphrase OotS, "I may have failed a Perception check."). Yora, I think it's a good question to take over to the Paizo boards to ask on their official Q&A thread. (of course, I'm assuming they have one...)

A 22

I also don't recall seeing anything official, which really doesn't help you out I suppose. There's some information in 3.5 books, which is outside the scope of this thread but may aid you in determining any house rules you need to implement.

Larpus
2011-09-11, 06:23 PM
@21: Yes it does: "Air Mastery: Sylph sorcerers with the Elemental (air) bloodline treat their Charisma score as 2 points higher for all sorcerer class abilities. Sylph clerics with the Air domain cast their domain powers and spells at +1 caster level."

And yes, they are not called planetouched, but that doesn't change the fact that aasimar, ifrits, oreads, sylphs, tieflings, and undines are exactly that.

Question is still standing.
A21
That depends on when the race was written, if it was after APG, then by RAW no, but is not a stretch or unreasonable move to make it apply for the Elemental Oracle, Air School Wizard and any others with that theme.

If it was written before the APG, then it most probably is by RAW, since Oracles as a whole, the Wizard Elemental Schools and possibly others within the theme simply did not exist before the APG, so including them is just updating the rules.

Stone Heart
2011-09-12, 02:14 AM
Q23

What happens if a Cavalier cross classes with a Druid? Do they get an animal companion and a mount? Or do they get one, but its bonus are determined by the combined levels?

Larpus
2011-09-12, 02:57 AM
Q23

What happens if a Cavalier cross classes with a Druid? Do they get an animal companion and a mount? Or do they get one, but its bonus are determined by the combined levels?
A23
By RAW they get both at diminished power, making it a very sub-optimal idea, similar to multiclassing into 2 or more spellcasting classes.

However, it doesn't look like a stretch and overpowered at all (in fact, most probably less OP than straight Druid) to make the Druid and Cavalier levels stack to determine the mount level and abilities.

Xtomjames
2011-09-12, 06:34 AM
A23
By RAW they get both at diminished power, making it a very sub-optimal idea, similar to multiclassing into 2 or more spellcasting classes.

However, it doesn't look like a stretch and overpowered at all (in fact, most probably less OP than straight Druid) to make the Druid and Cavalier levels stack to determine the mount level and abilities.

A23 Explained: No such RAW exist that state explicitly that you get a diminished mount or animal companion. Rather your mount and animal companion level as you level and is based on your character's total hit dice not the total number of levels you have in either class.

The Cavaliers' mount can serve as both animal companion and mount if multiclassed into druid.
Please see pages 32 of the Advanced Player's Guide for the Cavalier, Page 30 of the Core Rule Book for multiclassing and page 48 for the Druid.

FallenWarriorIV
2011-09-12, 07:03 AM
Q24 When moving from one threatened square into another square threatened by the same creature, do you provoke attacks of opportunity? By that token, can moving past a creature provoke three or more AoO?

panaikhan
2011-09-12, 07:09 AM
A24:
You provoke an AoO by moving, further than a 5-foot step. Sinse a creature can only provoke one AoO from each 'enemy' per round, you are safe.

Yora
2011-09-12, 07:17 AM
A24: More specifically, moving out of an enemies threatened squares explicitly only counts as a single opportunity, even if the movement has you leaving more than one square that enemy threatens.
You can provoke several AoOs from the same enemy in one round, such as casting a spell and then moving away from the enemy. Those are two different opportunities and if the enemy has Combat Reflexes, he can make one AoO for casting a spell in a threatened square, and another one for leaving the threatened square.

Lord.Sorasen
2011-09-12, 12:38 PM
Q25 : Does Pathfinder follow the same "text trumps table" rule that D&D 3.5 follows?

Q26 : Does the arcane archer's "Imbue Arrow" feature work with spells with cylinder, spread, and the like? In better words, does "area spell" mean more than a spell with a radius of effect?

Larpus
2011-09-12, 02:13 PM
Q:Q25
I'm not quite sure what you mean here.

Q26
My reading of the ability is that yes, "area spell" is any spell that affects more than a single target.

Zherog
2011-09-12, 02:47 PM
A 25

To the best of my knowledge, that isn't in Pathfinder yet. In 3.5, that rule is actually located (I believe) in the errata file. Does the Pathfinder official FAQ (which also doubles as an errata doc) contain any such statement? I've not looked at it in a while. But that would be the likely place to look for such a statement.

Blisstake
2011-09-12, 03:18 PM
Q25 : Does Pathfinder follow the same "text trumps table" rule that D&D 3.5 follows?

Q26 : Does the arcane archer's "Imbue Arrow" feature work with spells with cylinder, spread, and the like? In better words, does "area spell" mean more than a spell with a radius of effect?

A25: There's no official ruling on that yet, however, when a question came up over the Bloatmage PrC's abilities where the table text didn't match the descriptive text, the designers said the descriptive text trumps what's on the table as a general rule.

A26: Yes. But to clarify, and area spell is any spell that targets a number of spaces rather than creatures. So mass hold person, for example, is not an area spell.

Lord.Sorasen
2011-09-12, 04:43 PM
A25: There's no official ruling on that yet, however, when a question came up over the Bloatmage PrC's abilities where the table text didn't match the descriptive text, the designers said the descriptive text trumps what's on the table as a general rule.

A26: Yes. But to clarify, and area spell is any spell that targets a number of spaces rather than creatures. So mass hold person, for example, is not an area spell.

Q26continued: What of spells with line or cone effects?

Blisstake
2011-09-12, 05:24 PM
A26 again

Yes. I said if a spell affects spaces rather than creatures, then it's an area spell. Lines and cones affect spaces rather than creatures.

Larpus
2011-09-12, 09:03 PM
A26
Going further: the only difference is that wherever the arrow lands is considered the starting point of the cone, as opposed to the caster.

Xtomjames
2011-09-14, 07:49 PM
A26: The section in the core rule book explains this really well pages 213-214

We should clarify a few things here, an area affect spell is a spell that affects a given area rather than specified targets, that said in some cases this isn't true. A ray is an area affect spell but most often it targets a single creature.

Otherwise everything said thus far has been more or less correct.

Blisstake
2011-09-14, 08:15 PM
A26: The section in the core rule book explains this really well pages 213-214

We should clarify a few things here, an area affect spell is a spell that affects a given area rather than specified targets, that said in some cases this isn't true. A ray is an area affect spell but most often it targets a single creature.

Otherwise everything said thus far has been more or less correct.

I just re-read that section. Rays are mentioned right before area spells, but they do not appear to be classified as area spells.

Zherog
2011-09-14, 08:25 PM
The easiest way to tell if something is an area spell is that the spell header has an entry for area. For example:

School evocation [fire]; Level sorcerer/wizard 3
Casting Time 1 standard action
Components V, S, M (a ball of bat guano and sulfur)
Range long (400 ft. + 40 ft./level)
Area 20-ft.-radius spread
Duration instantaneous
Saving Throw Reflex half; Spell Resistance yes

or

School evocation [electricity]; Level sorcerer/wizard 3
Components V, S, M (fur and a glass rod)
Range 120 ft.
Area 120-ft. line
Duration instantaneous
Saving Throw Reflex half; Spell Resistance yes

(emphasis mine)

As opposed to:

School transmutation; Level sorcerer/wizard 6
Components V, S, M/DF (a lodestone and a pinch of dust)
Range medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Effect ray
Duration instantaneous
Saving Throw Fortitude partial (object); Spell Resistance yes

or

School enchantment (charm) [mind-affecting]; Level bard 1, sorcerer/wizard 1
Components V, S
Range close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target one humanoid creature
Duration 1 hour/level
Saving Throw Will negates; Spell Resistance yes

Blisstake
2011-09-14, 11:05 PM
Yes, Scorching Ray does not have an area listed. So ray attacks don't count as area spells like you said they did.

Lui
2011-09-15, 06:03 AM
A talent may allow you to do a called shot as a standard action. If you give a page number and name of the particular talent you're referring too I can have a read and let you know.

Ultimate Combat (yeah sorry) pg 195

Called Shot Feats
Improved Called Shot
You are skilled at landing blows right where you want to.
Prerequisites: Int 13, Combat Expertise.
Benefit: You receive a +2 bonus on attack rolls when
making a called shot. When taking a full-round or standard
action that gives you multiple attacks, you can replace a
single attack with a called shot. You may only attempt one
called shot per round.
Normal: You can make one called shot per round as a
standard action.

Greater Called Shot
You can make multiple called shots where others could
land but one.
Prerequisites: Int 13, Combat Expertise, Improved Called
Shot, base attack bonus +6.
Benefit: Whenever you make an attack, you can choose
to replace that attack with a called shot. You can make
multiple called shots in a single round. Each additional
called shot after the first made in the same round takes
a –5 penalty. In addition, a called shot that deals half
the creature’s hit points of damage (minimum 40) is a
debilitating blow.
Normal: You can make only one called shot in a round
as a standard action. A called shot that deals 50 points of
damage is a debilitating blow.

as you can see, they both say "Normal: You can make one called shot per round as a standard action". that left me a bit puzzled.
thank you

panaikhan
2011-09-15, 07:45 AM
Q27 (by my counting)
Is there a definitive answer to the argument about Summoners / Synthesists / Eidolons and the "Enlarge/Reduce" chain of spells?

As I read it:
Eidolons can share 'self' spells as if they were not Outsiders, but Enlarge is a 'target' spell.
Synthesists count as Outsiders, so can't be Enlarged (and, enlarging the Synthesist inside the Eidolon has very little effect).

MeeposFire
2011-09-15, 03:01 PM
Q27 (by my counting)
Is there a definitive answer to the argument about Summoners / Synthesists / Eidolons and the "Enlarge/Reduce" chain of spells?

As I read it:
Eidolons can share 'self' spells as if they were not Outsiders, but Enlarge is a 'target' spell.
Synthesists count as Outsiders, so can't be Enlarged (and, enlarging the Synthesist inside the Eidolon has very little effect).

This is what share spells says

"Share Spells (Ex)

The summoner may cast a spell with a target of “you” on his eidolon (as a spell with a range of touch) instead of on himself. A summoner may cast spells on his eidolon even if the spells normally do not affect creatures of the eidolon’s type (outsider). Spells cast in this way must come from the summoner spell list.

This ability does not allow the eidolon to share abilities that are not spells, even if they function like spells."

The ability says you can use spells from the summoner list cast by the summoner and that if this is done it will work on the eidolon even though it is an outsider. Synthesist still have this ability.

Larpus
2011-09-15, 11:14 PM
This is what share spells says

"Share Spells (Ex)

The summoner may cast a spell with a target of “you” on his eidolon (as a spell with a range of touch) instead of on himself. A summoner may cast spells on his eidolon even if the spells normally do not affect creatures of the eidolon’s type (outsider). Spells cast in this way must come from the summoner spell list.

This ability does not allow the eidolon to share abilities that are not spells, even if they function like spells."

The ability says you can use spells from the summoner list cast by the summoner and that if this is done it will work on the eidolon even though it is an outsider. Synthesist still have this ability.
A27+
Just a little added emphasis here.

This bit of text specifically allows you to cast any spell from your Summoner list on your Eidolon even if by default it's not supposed to affect outsiders, which does include Enlarge/Reduce's range of "one humanoid creature".

Larpus
2011-09-16, 12:02 PM
Sorry for the double-post, but I do have a new question:

Q28
I don't quite understand something about the Improved Familiar Nosoi (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/outsiders/psychopomp/psychopomp-nosoi), but also extends to other creatures with the same feature, anyway it is said to be "immune to death effects", but exactly what does that mean? Does it mean that it can't be killed? If someone depletes its HP all you gotta do is Cure it back? What if its body is destroyed such as being the victim of a Disintegrate?

Stone Heart
2011-09-16, 02:01 PM
A28

My understanding of death effects are that if the spell is save or die it doesnot affect them. Dealing enough hp damage should still kill them.

Blisstake
2011-09-16, 06:35 PM
Sorry for the double-post, but I do have a new question:

Q28
I don't quite understand something about the Improved Familiar Nosoi (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/outsiders/psychopomp/psychopomp-nosoi), but also extends to other creatures with the same feature, anyway it is said to be "immune to death effects", but exactly what does that mean? Does it mean that it can't be killed? If someone depletes its HP all you gotta do is Cure it back? What if its body is destroyed such as being the victim of a Disintegrate?

A28

My understanding of death effects are that if the spell is save or die it doesnot affect them. Dealing enough hp damage should still kill them.

A28.

Stone Heart has the right idea, but is a bit off. It means that any spell with the [Death] descriptor will not work on a creature with immunity to death effects. In addition, various other abilities explicitly mention if they are a death effects or not. There are some save-or-dies that actually work with enemies with that immunity, and there are some death effects that aren't save-or-die that the Nosoi would be immune to.

Prime32
2011-09-17, 05:29 PM
A23 Explained: No such RAW exist that state explicitly that you get a diminished mount or animal companion. Rather your mount and animal companion level as you level and is based on your character's total hit dice not the total number of levels you have in either class.Why does this feat (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/boon-companion) exist then?

Also

Class Level: The character’s druid level. The druid’s class levels stack with levels of any other classes that are entitled to an animal companion for the purpose of determining the companion’s statistics.

Lincoln
2011-09-18, 04:54 PM
Q29

When a special ability says, "You must be 11th level to select this revelation." like in the Blizzard Oracle Revalation, does it mean 11th class level or 11th character level? I cannot find any where that it specifies, and the FAQ is not clear.

Blizzard (Su): As a standard action, you can create a blizzard of snow and ice. You can create one 10-foot-cube of storm per oracle level. These cubes can be arranged in any pattern you desire, but each cube must be adjacent to another and one must be adjacent to you. Any creature caught in the blizzard takes 1d4 points of cold damage per oracle level, with a Reflex save resulting in half damage. The storm lasts for a number of rounds equal to your Charisma modifier; the ground remains icy (+5 to Acrobatics DCs) as long as local conditions permit. The blizzard obscures sight beyond 5 feet, providing total concealment. A creature within 5 feet has concealment. You can use this ability once per day. You must be 11th level to select this revelation.

panaikhan
2011-09-19, 07:11 AM
Q27 addendum

Enlarge person does not have a 'target: you' entry.
It has a 'target: one humanoid' entry.
Hense my confusion.

Yora
2011-09-19, 10:27 AM
A29: Since it's a class feature, I think there's a really high chance that it is supposed to be class level, as class features usually don't improve when taking levels in other classes, except for a few cases in which it is explicitly stated.

However as written, the rules are unclear and could mean both options,

El Dorado
2011-09-19, 08:41 PM
A29 Supplemental. An oracle's revelations are gained based on class level. The text and table both support this.

"Revelation: At 1st level, 3rd level, and every four levels thereafter (7th, 11th, and so on), an oracle uncovers a new secret about her mystery that grants her powers and abilities."

chaos_redefined
2011-09-19, 11:49 PM
Q30: In the rake rules, it states: "A monster with the rake ability must begin its turn already grappling to use its rake". Pounce states: "When a creature with this special attack makes a charge, it can make a full attack (including rake attacks if the creature also has the rake ability)." Can someone clarify this? (The rules in question are below)

Rake

A creature with this special attack gains extra natural attacks under certain conditions, typically when it grapples its foe. In addition to the options available to all grapplers, a monster with the rake ability gains two free claw attacks that it can use only against a grappled foe. The bonus and damage caused by these attacks is included in the creature’s description. A monster with the rake ability must begin its turn already grappling to use its rake—it can’t begin a grapple and rake in the same turn.

Pounce

When a creature with this special attack makes a charge, it can make a full attack (including rake attacks if the creature also has the rake ability).

Doorhandle
2011-09-20, 07:23 AM
Q31:
Inappropriately Sized Firearms: You cannot make optimum use of a firearm that is not properly sized for you. A cumulative –2 penalty applies on attack rolls for each size category of difference between your size and the size of the firearm. If you are not proficient with the firearm, a –4 nonproficiency penalty also applies. The size of a firearm never affects how many hands you need to use to shoot it, the exception being siege firearms and Large or larger creatures. In most cases, a Large or larger creature can use a siege firearm as a two-handed firearm, but the creature takes a –4 penalty for using it this way because of its awkwardness.

How exactly does this work? Can a large creature only carry a cannon around like a two-handed weapon, or can he shoot it like a nomal two-handed gun? if so, can he use feats that normally only affect two-handed guns?

Q32: Is their any way to load a siege weapon faster? Does counting as four crewmembers for being large allow you to load and aim as if you were 4 guys?

Blisstake
2011-09-20, 08:36 AM
Q30: In the rake rules, it states: "A monster with the rake ability must begin its turn already grappling to use its rake". Pounce states: "When a creature with this special attack makes a charge, it can make a full attack (including rake attacks if the creature also has the rake ability)." Can someone clarify this? (The rules in question are below)

Rake

Pounce

A30

Generally speaking, if you have Rake you have to begin your turn grappling to get those extra attacks. However, if you have pounce, you can also make those extra attacks at the end of a charge, even though you aren't grappling.

Prime32
2011-09-20, 09:02 AM
Q31:

How exactly does this work? Can a large creature only carry a cannon around like a two-handed weapon, or can he shoot it like a nomal two-handed gun? if so, can he use feats that normally only affect two-handed guns?There's some debate there. It seems he can use it in all ways like a two-handed firearm except for loading. Maybe.

Q32: Is their any way to load a siege weapon faster? Does counting as four crewmembers for being large allow you to load and aim as if you were 4 guys?http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/master-siege-engineer-combat
An lv11 gunslinger can make use of Lightning Reload on siege firearms, and the musket master archetype might also help.
As for the second part, yes but this doesn't affect the number of actions needed to aim/reload.

The Awesome
2011-09-21, 11:03 AM
A27c Enlarge does specify a humanoid. This would not work then with a non-synthesist summoner and his eidolon, as an eidolon is not a humanoid, even the bi-pedal form. TBH I'm not sure if this has any bearing on synthesist shenanigans, though. :smallconfused:

BRC
2011-09-21, 12:41 PM
Q33:
Death from Above (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/death-from-above-combat), does the bonus apply when making any attack while flying, or only when charging (either from high ground or doing a flying charge).
Q34:
The Witch's (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/witch) Prehensile hair hex grants them a "Secondary natural attack", but the rules for natural attacks (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/rules-for-monsters/universal-monster-rules#TOC-Natural-Attacks) say that, if a creature has only one natural attack it is always primary. So, if a Witch with no natural attacks takes Prehensile Hair, is the attack primary (as per the natural attack rules) or secondary (as per the hex description, which could be interpreted to say "if the witch has natural attacks, the hair is a secondary attack).

The Awesome
2011-09-21, 01:36 PM
A33

Death from Above (Combat)
Benefit: Whenever you charge an opponent from higher ground, or from above while flying, you gain a +5 bonus on attack rolls in place of the bonuses from charging and being on higher ground.

Emphasis added. It seems to specify that the flying attack must be a charge.

Larpus
2011-09-21, 01:51 PM
A27c Enlarge does specify a humanoid. This would not work then with a non-synthesist summoner and his eidolon, as an eidolon is not a humanoid, even the bi-pedal form. TBH I'm not sure if this has any bearing on synthesist shenanigans, though. :smallconfused:
A27 Disagreement
Check the following text, specifically the bolded part:

Share Spells (Ex)

This ability does not allow the eidolon to share abilities that are not spells, even if they function like spells.
As far as I know, there is no spell with a range of "you" or "personal" that also specify that you need to be of a specific race or type, as such, the text can be read as giving you two abilities when casting from the Summoner spell list: 1. You can cast spells with a range of "personal" on your Eidolon, such as Shield or Alter Self; AND 2. You can cast spells that target any type of creature on your Eidolon as if it qualified for it despite being an outsider, such as Enlarge/Reduce Person.

Q34:
The Witch's (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/witch) Prehensile hair hex grants them a "Secondary natural attack", but the rules for natural attacks (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/rules-for-monsters/universal-monster-rules#TOC-Natural-Attacks) say that, if a creature has only one natural attack it is always primary. So, if a Witch with no natural attacks takes Prehensile Hair, is the attack primary (as per the natural attack rules) or secondary (as per the hex description, which could be interpreted to say "if the witch has natural attacks, the hair is a secondary attack).
A34
As per my understanding, it would be primary as long as you don't make a weapon attack or use another type of natural attack that is specifically primary in the same round. This is how I understand the rules for natural attacks:

If you have only a single type of natural attack and makes no use of a weapon, regardless of what the text says, it's always considered a primary attack.

If you have more than one type of natural attack, such as two Claws and a Bite (which is quite easy to get) and both types are said to be primary (or it's omitted and as such defaulted to primary), then both will always count as primary even when you make a full attack and makes use of both types on the same round.

If however one of these is specifically a secondary attack, it would count as secondary whenever you made a full attack that uses another attack that is a primary attack, in the above example, if the Bite is said to be secondary, whenever you use only the Bite, it's primary, but if you use both the Claws and the Bite, the Claws are primary and the Bite secondary.

If weapons are also used, then all natural attacks regardless of text are considered secondary.

Flob
2011-09-21, 04:10 PM
Q35
I already made a thread for this that has, among other things, this set of questions:
One is about the Discovery "Feral Mutagen". It says that I gain two claw attacks and a bite attack as primary attacks.

Question part
A) Do I do two attacks with me claws and a bite attack every time I do an "attack" action (standard), or do I have to do a full round action?

B) Do I get these all at my max base attack bonus?

C) Finally, when I get to BaB +6 and would normally gain another attck, do I get an extra claw attack during a full attack action?

Thanks.

Zherog
2011-09-21, 04:19 PM
A 35

Q35
I already made a thread for this that has, among other things, this set of questions:
One is about the Discovery "Feral Mutagen". It says that I gain two claw attacks and a bite attack as primary attacks.

Question part
A) Do I do two attacks with me claws and a bite attack every time I do an "attack" action (standard), or do I have to do a full round action?

Full attack action, which is a type of full round action.

B) Do I get these all at my max base attack bonus?

Yes.

C) Finally, when I get to BaB +6 and would normally gain another attck, do I get an extra claw attack during a full attack action?

No, natural attack sequences are unaffected by high BAB.

Thanks.

You're welcome. :)

MeeposFire
2011-09-21, 06:32 PM
A27 Disagreement
Check the following text, specifically the bolded part:

As far as I know, there is no spell with a range of "you" or "personal" that also specify that you need to be of a specific race or type, as such, the text can be read as giving you two abilities when casting from the Summoner spell list: 1. You can cast spells with a range of "personal" on your Eidolon, such as Shield or Alter Self; AND 2. You can cast spells that target any type of creature on your Eidolon as if it qualified for it despite being an outsider, such as Enlarge/Reduce Person.

Indeed in addition since the synthesist still has the share spells ability that means enlarge person works with them too.

Flob
2011-09-21, 07:32 PM
A 35

Full attack action, which is a type of full round action.

Follow up question (Q35.1?)

What attacks can I use during a standard action attack?

Zherog
2011-09-21, 08:10 PM
Follow up question (Q35.1?)

What attacks can I use during a standard action attack?

One claw or one bite.

Stone Heart
2011-09-22, 12:52 AM
A 35
Yes. (In regards to natural attacks being at full BAB)

Isn't only the first at your full BAB? I thought after that they had a minus, I believe -5.

Keneth
2011-09-22, 08:00 AM
Isn't only the first at your full BAB? I thought after that they had a minus, I believe -5.
You can have more than one primary natural attack in PF.

Zherog
2011-09-22, 09:05 AM
Keneth is correct. But even in 3.5, if you had 2 claws as your primary and a bite as your secondary, both claw attacks were made at full BAB and the bite was at BAB-5. Pathfinder just made critters a bit more deadly by making more attacks (such as bites) primary.

Stone Heart
2011-09-22, 09:26 PM
Q36
I am pretty sure the answer is yes, but if I am making a character and we are using archetypes, I can use more than one of the archetypes, as long as they don't overlap in ability replacement, right? Like I can be a Mysterious Stranger and a Pistolero (Gunslinger archetypes) at the same time because none of the change overlap?

El Dorado
2011-09-22, 10:38 PM
A36
Correct. From the PRD:
"A character can take more than one archetype and garner additional alternate class features, but none of the alternate class features can replace or alter the same class feature from the core class as another alternate class feature. For example, a paladin could not be both a hospitaler and an undead scourge since they both modify the smite evil class feature and both replace the aura of justice class feature. A paladin could, however, be both an undead scourge and a warrior of the holy light, since none of their new class features replace the same core class feature."

Stone Heart
2011-09-23, 12:21 AM
A36
Correct. From the PRD:
*snip*

Alright, I also just wanted to make sure that my given example works? Because the Mysterious stranger loses gun training in favor of "Strangers Fortune." The Pistolero has "Pistol training" but as written pistol training does not replace "Gun Training." So by RAW this matchup works?

Doorhandle
2011-09-23, 01:23 AM
I would imagine so. I mean, what kind of mysterious stranger uses a musket?

Xtomjames
2011-09-23, 06:00 AM
Q36
I am pretty sure the answer is yes, but if I am making a character and we are using archetypes, I can use more than one of the archetypes, as long as they don't overlap in ability replacement, right? Like I can be a Mysterious Stranger and a Pistolero (Gunslinger archetypes) at the same time because none of the change overlap?

Actually you can use archetypes even if they do overlap, benefits to the same ability do not stack. So if archetype one grants a +5 to perception and archetype two also adds a +5, you only get a +5.

Or at least this is how I understand it from reading the book. "Archetypes are a quick and easy way to specialize characters
of a given class, adding fun and flavorful new abilities
to already established adventurers. The class archetypes
and corresponding new abilities mentioned below are all
included in this chapter, and characters may take more
than one archetype as long as they meet the requirements." Ultimate Combat page 22.

The problem is when the archetypes change the same thing or rely on the same swap off of special abilities.

El Dorado
2011-09-23, 08:53 AM
Alright, I also just wanted to make sure that my given example works? Because the Mysterious stranger loses gun training in favor of "Strangers Fortune." The Pistolero has "Pistol training" but as written pistol training does not replace "Gun Training." So by RAW this matchup works?

Since Pistol Training does not state that "this ability replaces gun training", by RAW, the matchup works.

Larpus
2011-09-23, 10:26 AM
Q37
Exactly how much is the range increment of splash weapons (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/combat#TOC-Throw-Splash-Weapon)? Based on the example picture and the fact that they're a different enough beast, it seems to be more than Thrown Weapons' 10ft range, but I can't find an actual answer to it.

El Dorado
2011-09-23, 10:59 AM
A 37. The range for each is listed under Special Substances and Items (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/equipment.html#special-substances-and-items).

Arutema
2011-09-24, 02:39 AM
Q 38 Does a Synthesist Summoner (UM) use his base saves or those of the Eidolon when fused with it?

MeeposFire
2011-09-24, 02:56 AM
Q 38 Does a Synthesist Summoner (UM) use his base saves or those of the Eidolon when fused with it?

A. 38 The synthesist section does not mention saves but it does mention things like BAB. Since it lacks saves but is specific in other areas I would have to say that saves are unaffected (except by the changed physical stats of course).

von Tortrix
2011-09-24, 06:04 PM
Q 39.

Can a Summoner's Eidolon take the feat 'Improved Natural Attack' multiple times, and have its effects stack on the same natural attack? I couldn't find any ruling on this in the Bestiary.

Thanks!

Xtomjames
2011-09-24, 08:11 PM
Q 39.

Can a Summoner's Eidolon take the feat 'Improved Natural Attack' multiple times, and have its effects stack on the same natural attack? I couldn't find any ruling on this in the Bestiary.

Thanks!

A 39

There is no typed limit as to the number of times the feat can be taken, so by RAW it should stack.

I'll note here however that DMs might not like this and the 3.5 version of the feat didn't stack. Be on the look out for errata of this feat in the future.

Prime32
2011-09-24, 09:17 PM
Q 39.

Thanks!

No.

Special: This feat can be taken multiple times. Each time it is taken, it applies to a different natural attack.
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/monster-feats/improved-natural-attack

Noblesse
2011-09-25, 04:48 PM
Q 40

With the reach evolution for an Eidolon, does it apply to one or all of a Eidolon's natural attacks of the same type.

Ex: evolutions:(bite, tentacle, tentacle, reach(tentacle))
Would only one tentacle have reach? or both?

bugburr
2011-09-25, 09:49 PM
Q 41

So I have a few questions about the alchemist class.

a. An alchemist can write formulae (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/alchemist#TOC-Alchemy-Su-) into his formula book by copying it from a wizard's spellbook. Is there a way to learn a formula from a divine spellcaster? The spell blood transcription (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/b/blood-transcription) seems to state that you can write into your formula/spellbook any spell you "know." So, can an alchemist learn the cure light wounds formula, for example, from a cleric who is willing to teach it? Assuming I also pay the time and ink price, of course.

b. Do the alchemist abilities swift alchemy (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/alchemist#TOC-Swift-Alchemy-Ex-) and instant alchemy (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/alchemist#TOC-Instant-Alchemy-Ex-) apply to crafting poisons, since they are made with the craft (alchemy) skill?

c. Can an alchemist who made the vestigial arm (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/alchemist/discoveries/paizo---alchemist-discoveries/vestigial-arm-ex) discovery twice dual-wield two-handed weapons?

d. The vestigial arm (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/alchemist/discoveries/paizo---alchemist-discoveries/vestigial-arm-ex) discovery states that the arm "cannot be concealed except with magic or bulky clothing." What counts as bulky clothing? Can the arm be used to hold and drink a potion while still staying hidden? If not, could the stealth (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/skills/stealth) or sleight of hand (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/skills/sleight-of-hand) (or arm) skills help conceal an arm being used in combat? I know an exact RAW answer may not be available, but I'd still appreciate some input.

Blisstake
2011-09-25, 10:02 PM
A 41

a. Generally speaking, you're only able to transcribe spells from a wizard's spellbook, but the wording on Blood Transcription is a bit iffy. It says "using the normal rules for copying a spell from another source." The normal rules are that the source has to be a wizard's spellbook specifically. However, I could see this being interpreted simply as you must follow the general copying rules... so you might want to talk to a GM about that, because I'm no help at all here :smalltongue:

b. Yes.

c. I believe so, incurring standard penalties.

d. There is no RAW ruling on that, but it is a bit ridiculous to think that an alchemist could drink something from a hidden hand without his head being concealed as well. It's probably intended that a bonus arm can't remain hidden and perform obvious actions like attacking or drinking a potion.

Larpus
2011-09-26, 12:18 AM
Q 41c. Can an alchemist who made the vestigial arm (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/alchemist/discoveries/paizo---alchemist-discoveries/vestigial-arm-ex) discovery twice dual-wield two-handed weapons?
I'll go ahead and steal your question for a bit:

Q41e
If an Alchemist who has a Vestigial Arm holds a shield with his extra arm, does he still get the penalties if he has no proficiency with it? Does he get thrown off-balance despite not actually using it during the fight? If he doesn't, what happens to his AC?

Q41f
Now let's say that the Alchemist in question does have proficiency, can he now use both a shield and a 2-handed weapon at no penalty? What about the Str/Power Attack bonuses? Do they still count as using 2 hands?

Blisstake
2011-09-26, 07:26 AM
A41e

If you weild a shield without proficiency, you take the proper penalties regardless of how many hands you have. I don't know what you mean by "does not use it during the fight." If you mean the alchemist carries it, but does not wield it, then the shield does not grant any AC bonus. However, that does not mean you can have a shield in an arm and decide each turn whether it counts as being wielded or not.

A41f

The two-handed weapon counts as a two-handed weapon, even if wielded with a shield. So yes, you get the better PA returns, and 1.5 times strength to damage.

Addi
2011-09-26, 02:25 PM
Q42

If I'm casting "Blindness/ Deafness" mith the Still Spell Metamagic Feat. Am I provoking attacks of opportunity by a nearby fighter? (He can't see me doing anything...)
Edit: Oh - and I might need a source for this.

Zherog
2011-09-26, 02:39 PM
A 42

Blindness/deafness has only a verbal component, so I suspect you meant to ask about using Silent Spell rather than Still Spell.

And the answer is yes. Casting a 1-standard action spell is listed in the Combat section as provoking an attack of opportunity, and nothing in the rules for the Silent Spell feat changes that.

Explanation which includes a bit of extrapolation:
The act of casting the spell still requires you to spend a standard action, even if you don't need to speak. And during that standard action your attention isn't completely focused on what's around you. Because you're focused on casting your spell, you drop your guard ever so slightly, allowing the fighter to whack you upside the head.

Addi
2011-09-26, 02:47 PM
Addition to Q 42

Sorry, I got confused. "Still" is a german word for "silent" (http://dict.leo.org/ende?lp=ende&lang=de&searchLoc=0&cmpType=relaxed&sectHdr=on&spellToler=&search=still).
Thank you for the answer. That means he gets an AoO even when I'm invisible? Or is there a rule against this .....?

Edit: I got it.

Addi
2011-09-26, 02:59 PM
Q43

What about Counterspells? Is it possible to counter (or identify) a spell without verbal or somatic components? (How does the caster know that I'm trying to cast a spell?)

El Dorado
2011-09-26, 08:46 PM
Q 40

With the reach evolution for an Eidolon, does it apply to one or all of a Eidolon's natural attacks of the same type.

Ex: evolutions:(bite, tentacle, tentacle, reach(tentacle))
Would only one tentacle have reach? or both?

A. 40. The evolution applies to a single attack.

"Reach (Ex): One of an eidolon's attacks is capable of striking at foes at a distance. Pick one attack. The eidolon's reach with that attack increases by 5 feet."

El Dorado
2011-09-26, 11:01 PM
Q43

What about Counterspells? Is it possible to counter (or identify) a spell without verbal or somatic components? (How does the caster know that I'm trying to cast a spell?)

A 43. Yes. A spell that lacks verbal and somatic components may still have material components or foci that need to be manipulated.

To cast a spell, you must be able to speak (if the spell has a verbal component), gesture (if it has a somatic component), and manipulate the material components or focus (if any). Additionally, you must concentrate to cast a spell.

RndmNumGen
2011-09-27, 02:08 AM
Q 44:
Can a Cleric take both the Crusader (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/cleric/archetypes/paizo---cleric-archetypes/crusader) archtype and the Holy Warrior ACF? Holy Warrior says a character gives up both domain slots for full BAB + a d10 hit dice, while Crusader gives a cleric one less domain and fewer spells per day. In other words, they would be 'losing' three domains, even though they only ever had two. I'm not sure if it would be legal or not since the character isn't really trading domains in for something else, they just lose access to them.

Larpus
2011-09-27, 08:18 AM
A 43. Yes. A spell that lacks verbal and somatic components may still have material components or foci that need to be manipulated.

To cast a spell, you must be able to speak (if the spell has a verbal component), gesture (if it has a somatic component), and manipulate the material components or focus (if any). Additionally, you must concentrate to cast a spell.
Q43+
For the mandatory follow-up: What if the caster metamagics Silent and/or Still as applicable and he has Eschew Materials? Can someone still notice he's casting at all? I get that everyone can notice him focusing on something (maybe it's stomachache?), but casting specifically?

Q 44:
Can a Cleric take both the Crusader (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/cleric/archetypes/paizo---cleric-archetypes/crusader) archtype and the Holy Warrior ACF? Holy Warrior says a character gives up both domain slots for full BAB + a d10 hit dice, while Crusader gives a cleric one less domain and fewer spells per day. In other words, they would be 'losing' three domains, even though they only ever had two. I'm not sure if it would be legal or not since the character isn't really trading domains in for something else, they just lose access to them.
Straight RAW, I don't think it's possible, unlike Flat-Footed or other such texts, it's not written "the Cleric loses access to one of his domains (if any)".

But it's nothing that crazy, so personally I'd allow.

Zherog
2011-09-27, 09:08 AM
A 43

Counterspells

It is possible to cast any spell as a counterspell. By doing so, you are using the spell's energy to disrupt the casting of the same spell by another character. Counterspelling works even if one spell is divine and the other arcane.

How Counterspells Work: To use a counterspell, you must select an opponent as the target of the counterspell. You do this by choosing to ready an action. In doing so, you elect to wait to complete your action until your opponent tries to cast a spell. You may still move at your normal speed, since ready is a standard action.

If the target of your counterspell tries to cast a spell, make a Spellcraft check (DC 15 + the spell's level). This check is a free action. If the check succeeds, you correctly identify the opponent's spell and can attempt to counter it. If the check fails, you can't do either of these things.

To complete the action, you must then cast an appropriate spell. As a general rule, a spell can only counter itself. If you are able to cast the same spell and you have it prepared (or have a slot of the appropriate level available), you cast it, creating a counterspell effect. If the target is within range, both spells automatically negate each other with no other results.

Counterspelling Metamagic Spells: Metamagic feats are not taken into account when determining whether a spell can be countered.

Specific Exceptions: Some spells can counter other specific spells, often those with diametrically opposed effects.

Dispel Magic as a Counterspell: You can usually use dispel magic to counterspell another spell being cast without needing to identify the spell being cast. Dispel magic doesn't always work as a counterspell (see the spell description).

Spellcraft

Action: Identifying a spell as it is being cast requires no action, but you must be able to clearly see the spell as it is being cast, and this incurs the same penalties as a Perception skill check due to distance, poor conditions, and other factors.

Identify a spell as it is being cast 15 + spell level

The first quote gives the general rules for counterspelling. There is, oddly, no requirement that you be a be able to see and/or hear the caster. In fact, as written in that section, I could choose to counterspell the king's personal healer, even if I'm half a world away.

The Spellcraft skill, however, does give a bit more detail. It lays out that you have to see the spell being cast, which rules out the half-a-world-away counterspell. So what's it mean? Well, it doesn't say you have to see the somatic components or the material components or the focus. It just says you have to be able to see the caster as he/she/it casts the spell. Do that and you get a Spellcraft check with a DC of 15 plus the spell level. If you're successful at that check, you know what spell is being cast. If you had taken a ready action to counter, you could then attempt to counter the caster - despite his having used Still and Silent and not needing any components.

At least, that's how I read it.

Speculation/non-RAW stuff:
You could opt to explain this in your game by having the Spellcraft check read the ambient magical energy around the caster rather than the actual act of casting. A successful check allows you to read the "aura" building around the caster before the spell's energy coalesces into the spell effect. In this way, it's not the gestures and words and pieces of bat poop that matter when identifying the spell, and it gives a nice reason as to why a Silent Still fireball cast by a wizard with Eschew Materials can still be identified.

DrDeth
2011-09-27, 01:02 PM
A. 40. The evolution applies to a single attack.

"Reach (Ex): One of an eidolon's attacks is capable of striking at foes at a distance. Pick one attack. The eidolon's reach with that attack increases by 5 feet."

The question then is “claws” a attack or two attacks? Since the term ‘attack” applies to both plural of the same type and singular, simply quoting the RAW does not answer the question.

Lateral
2011-09-27, 06:35 PM
Q 45

Do you apply your Strength bonus, your Dexterity bonus, or neither to your to-hit and/or damage with a Soulknife/Pyrokineticist's flame lash?

Zherog
2011-09-27, 08:50 PM
Q 45

Do you apply your Strength bonus, your Dexterity bonus, or neither to your to-hit and/or damage with a Soulknife/Pyrokineticist's flame lash?

This is not a Pathfinder question. You're probably looking for the 3.5 thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207897).

A 40

My understanding of it would be that if you pick "claw" it would apply to any attack made with that weapon, even if you got more than one per round.

Drelua
2011-09-27, 09:06 PM
Q 45

A 45
I believe he was referring to DSP's Pathfinder Psionics. Here is the relevant quote: A pyrokineticist gains the ability to fashion a 15-foot-long whip of fire from unstable ectoplasm as a move-equivalent action. She takes no damage from a fire lash she creates, and if she releases her hold, it immediately dissipates. The lash deals 1d8 points of fire damage to a target within 15 feet on a successful ranged touch attack. A pyrokineticist can take Weapon Focus and Weapon Specialization (if she otherwise meets the prerequisites) in conjunction with the fire lash, as well as any feats that apply to the use of a standard whip. The whip remains in existence as long as the pyrokineticist holds it and is treated for mechanical purposes as a whip.

If the character has the ability to fashion a mind blade and has the Altered Blade blade skill, her fire lash may be treated as her mind blade for mechanical purposes such as enhanced mind blade and other class abilities. All damage dealt by the mind blade in this form, including psychic strike damage and bonus damage from weapon abilities, is fire damage, and the pyrokineticist may not use the fire lash to perform disarm or trip attempts unless she has selected the appropriate Weapon Special blade skill.

It is clear that the Fire Lash described above would apply dexterity to attack as a ranged touch attack, and I don't believe you would apply either to your damage normally. In the case of a soulknife, I believe it would be the same as there is no special statement for anything but class features, so it would function the same apart from extra damage added from enhancements and abilities such as psychic strike.

Short version: I think you would still add dexterity to attack as it is still a ranged touch attack and add neither to your damage.

El Dorado
2011-09-27, 10:13 PM
The question then is “claws” a attack or two attacks? Since the term ‘attack” applies to both plural of the same type and singular, simply quoting the RAW does not answer the question.

"Claws" can refer to the type of evolution ("Claws (ex)") or the number of attacks (such as "two claw attacks"). With regard to evolutions, instances of the singular word "attack" being used to indicate a plural occur in phrases like "select one type of natural attack". This can be seen in both the Push and Pull evolution descriptions. As the Reach evolution doesn't state to "select one type of attack", I have to accept "pick one attack" as meaning just that: pick one attack.

A 40

My understanding of it would be that if you pick "claw" it would apply to any attack made with that weapon, even if you got more than one per round.

The problem with this interpretation is that you open the floodgates. Why limit yourself to "claw" when "primary" or even "melee" would be better options.

DrDeth
2011-09-28, 11:14 AM
Because the evolution is called ‘claws” and that attack comes only in pairs. Besides, it is rather silly to think that on a critter one leg is twice as long as the other.

Duncan_Ruadrik
2011-09-29, 06:09 PM
Because the evolution is called ‘claws” and that attack comes only in pairs. Besides, it is rather silly to think that on a critter one leg is twice as long as the other.

hm... every hear of a crab or lobster? tasty, and have disproportionately larger claws/pincers on one side.

Blisstake
2011-09-29, 06:23 PM
In enemy stat blocks, claws are always (to my knowledge) listed together as one attack. The game also does not differentiate between left claw attack and right claw attack, so I would imagine that reach would give both of your eidolon's claws the extra range. :smallconfused:

borg286
2011-09-29, 11:18 PM
Question 46: Pure RAW can I use Summon Monster (www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/s/summon-monster) 2 to summon this small elemental: crysmal (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/outsiders/elemental/crysmal) . This extends to using Summon Monster 4 to summon an Advanced Invisible Stalker (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/outsiders/elemental/invisible-stalker/invisible-stalker-advanced)

Blisstake
2011-09-30, 12:32 AM
Question 46: Pure RAW can I use Summon Monster (www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/s/summon-monster) 2 to summon this small elemental: crysmal (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/outsiders/elemental/crysmal) . This extends to using Summon Monster 4 to summon an Advanced Invisible Stalker (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/outsiders/elemental/invisible-stalker/invisible-stalker-advanced)

RAW you would be able to do the first. I don't believe you can apply templates to summoned monsters, so for the second example, I'm pretty sure it would be a regular Invisible Stalker.

Talk with a DM about that anyway, as it was probably intended for Summon Monster to only summon the "X Elemental" line of monsters.

evillemming
2011-09-30, 10:05 AM
Q 47: AoO question -- simple one, confusion on my part

If a M-sized opponent is standing at a central position, and you are at his 3 (see diagram below), and you take a 5' step to his 2, do you provoke an AoO for leaving a threatened square? I read though the rules, but just confusion on my part and I don't believe I have been handling this correctly.

3M7

Thanks!

Blisstake
2011-09-30, 10:54 AM
A 47

No. With very few exceptions, taking a 5-foot step does not provoke an attack of opportunity. If you took a regular move action to go to 2, however, it would provoke an AoO.

Larpus
2011-10-03, 05:42 PM
Q48
Can you apply sneak attack to splash weapons? If yes, where does the sneak attack applies? Just the target or everyone in the splash?

Q48a
If I'm an Alchemist/Rogue 1/1 non-Vivisectionist so I get both a bomb and sneak attack, can I apply sneak attack to my bomb? Again, if yes is just my main target affected or everyone in the blast?

El Dorado
2011-10-03, 06:43 PM
Q48
Can you apply sneak attack to splash weapons? If yes, where does the sneak attack applies? Just the target or everyone in the splash?

Q48a
If I'm an Alchemist/Rogue 1/1 non-Vivisectionist so I get both a bomb and sneak attack, can I apply sneak attack to my bomb? Again, if yes is just my main target affected or everyone in the blast?

A48

No to both.

Thrown bombs have a range of 20 feet and use the Throw Splash Weapon special attack.

Splash weapons cannot deal precision-based damage (such as the damage from the rogue's sneak attack class feature).

Larpus
2011-10-04, 01:05 AM
Bummer.

Anyway, on to more:

Q49
If I have Power Attack, Furious Focus and make a full-attack with my set of three primary natural weapons (2 claws, 1 bite), exactly what happens? All the attacks take no penalty from Power Attack? Or should I elect an attack out of the lot and only have the penalty removed from that one attack?

My DM has ruled that his interpretation is the latter, but even so, I'm curious about the RAW.

Zherog
2011-10-04, 09:03 AM
A 49

Benefit: When you are wielding a two-handed weapon or a one-handed weapon with two hands, and using the Power Attack feat, you do not suffer Power Attack's penalty on melee attack rolls on the first attack you make each turn. You still suffer the penalty on any additional attacks, including attacks of opportunity.

My reading of that would be that you can't use Furious Focus at all with a natural attack, since it's neither a two-handed or one-handed weapon in two hands.

Putting that aside and answering your question anyway... Furious Focus is pretty clear that Power Attack penalties don't apply to the first attack you make in a full round attack sequence. If you were wielding a greatsword and had two attacks at your highest BAB (for example, by having haste active on you), the first of those attacks wouldn't suffer PA penalties, but the second - and all subsequent - would.

Larpus
2011-10-04, 10:13 AM
A 49

My reading of that would be that you can't use Furious Focus at all with a natural attack, since it's neither a two-handed or one-handed weapon in two hands.

Putting that aside and answering your question anyway... Furious Focus is pretty clear that Power Attack penalties don't apply to the first attack you make in a full round attack sequence. If you were wielding a greatsword and had two attacks at your highest BAB (for example, by having haste active on you), the first of those attacks wouldn't suffer PA penalties, but the second - and all subsequent - would.
I see, I seem to have skipped that bit about it only affecting 2H, got too excited I guess.

Anyway, yeah, I guess you're right that it shouldn't work with a full-attack with natural weapons, but I'll ask my DM if his rulling is going to stand or if he at least allows me to use it if I only use a single natural weapon (which follows 2H rules).

deuxhero
2011-10-06, 12:06 AM
Q50

How do Vital Strike and Explosive Missile work?

1: They can't be used with eachother, explosive missile isn't "the attack action"
2: The projectile does boosted damage, but the bomb is treated as normal.
3: Both are multiplied, as the bomb is considered a weapon, not bonus die.

Adamaro
2011-10-06, 03:32 AM
Q51
Not really sure, if this is RAW ... Can a PC with Knowledge Devotion spread his bonuses from Knowledge Devotion on other PCs in party?

Zherog
2011-10-06, 06:49 AM
A 51

As best as I can tell, Knowledge Devotion isn't in Pathfinder.Were you perhaps looking for the 3.5 Q&A thread?

Adamaro
2011-10-06, 07:01 AM
@Zherog
You got it right. Tnx for the link. :smallsmile:

Larpus
2011-10-06, 08:55 AM
Q50

How do Vital Strike and Explosive Missile work?

1: They can't be used with eachother, explosive missile isn't "the attack action"
2: The projectile does boosted damage, but the bomb is treated as normal.
3: Both are multiplied, as the bomb is considered a weapon, not bonus die.
A50
1. Yeah, by RAW they can't, however Vital Strike does seem to be poorly worded, so check your DM on his ruling.

2. Not sure what you mean, if it's supposing your DM allows you to use them together, then only the projectile damage would be multiplied, bomb is a splash weapon, which is actually not a weapon, but just an item that causes damage, it's really closer to throwing a bottle at someone.

3. No, the Explosive Missile Discovery specifically says "as if the Alchemist had thrown the bomb", so the bomb is still just a bomb, you just strapped it to an arrow. In effect, all the good it does is considerably increase the distance you can 'throw' your bombs.

bugburr
2011-10-06, 11:31 AM
Q52
A character gets to level 4 and increases his intelligence score, increasing the modifier.

a. Does he gain an extra retroactive skill point for the previous levels, or just an extra skill point for all new levels?
b. Does he gain an extra language, or does he still have to spend a skill point in linguistics to get one?

Zherog
2011-10-06, 11:44 AM
A 52

A) Skill points are not retroactive. He'll gain additional skill points at future levels, but previous levels are unaffected. (Similarly, if his Int goes down he's also unaffected at previous levels.)

B) Bonus languages for high Int are only at first level. Later increasing your Int doesn't give you a new language.

El Dorado
2011-10-06, 12:21 PM
A 52

A) Skill points are not retroactive. He'll gain additional skill points at future levels, but previous levels are unaffected. (Similarly, if his Int goes down he's also unaffected at previous levels.)

B) Bonus languages for high Int are only at first level. Later increasing your Int doesn't give you a new language.

A52 Correction

Skill points are retroactive.

Permanent Bonuses: Ability bonuses with a duration greater than 1 day actually increase the relevant ability score after 24 hours. Modify all skills and statistics related to that ability. This might cause you to gain skill points, hit points, and other bonuses. These bonuses should be noted separately in case they are removed.

Zherog
2011-10-06, 12:34 PM
Thank you. I hadn't noticed that (obviously).

Larpus
2011-10-06, 02:27 PM
A50
1. Yeah, by RAW they can't, however Vital Strike does seem to be poorly worded, so check your DM on his ruling.

2. Not sure what you mean, if it's supposing your DM allows you to use them together, then only the projectile damage would be multiplied, bomb is a splash weapon, which is actually not a weapon, but just an item that causes damage, it's really closer to throwing a bottle at someone.

3. No, the Explosive Missile Discovery specifically says "as if the Alchemist had thrown the bomb", so the bomb is still just a bomb, you just strapped it to an arrow. In effect, all the good it does is considerably increase the distance you can 'throw' your bombs.
A50 Correction
Just found a line of text that contradicts what should happen with bombs:

Bomb (Su)

Drawing the components of, creating, and throwing a bomb requires a standard action that provokes an attack of opportunity. Thrown bombs have a range of 20 feet and use the Throw Splash Weapon special attack. [B]Bombs are considered weapons and can be selected using feats such as Point-Blank Shot and Weapon Focus. On a direct hit, an alchemist’s bomb inflicts 1d6 points of fire damage + additional damage equal to the alchemist’s Intelligence modifier. The damage of an alchemist’s bomb increases by 1d6 points at every odd-numbered alchemist level (this bonus damage is not multiplied on a critical hit or by using feats such as Vital Strike). [more text...]
This means that the first dice of the bomb's damage is an actual weapon and should be considered as such (as opposed to other splash weapons), doing double damage on crit and being multiplied by Vital Strike. However, any further dices are considered bonus damage, as if from sneak attack, so these aren't multiplied.

So, fixing my answer we have:

2 and 3. Both the projectile and only the first damage dice of your bomb are multiplied (usually 1d6), further dices are unaffected as normal, because they still count as "bonus damage".

deuxhero
2011-10-06, 07:06 PM
snip

I meant which of the 3 scenarios occurs. Thanks for answering.

Drelua
2011-10-08, 12:16 AM
Q 53

Do Native Outsiders such as Aasimar get proficiency with martial weapons from the traits of an Outsider? I was wondering if I could use that for early entry into Eldritch Knight, but I couldn't find anything definitive.

Edit: Nevermind, I found an answer on the Paizo Forums. No, they do not. Darn.

Prime32
2011-10-08, 07:55 AM
Q 53

Do Native Outsiders such as Aasimar get proficiency with martial weapons from the traits of an Outsider? I was wondering if I could use that for early entry into Eldritch Knight, but I couldn't find anything definitive.

Edit: Nevermind, I found an answer on the Paizo Forums. No, they do not. Darn.Link to this? :smallconfused: The rules say all outsiders get it, and neither the Native subtype nor the aasimar give an exception.

El Dorado
2011-10-08, 10:29 AM
Link to this? :smallconfused: The rules say all outsiders get it, and neither the Native subtype nor the aasimar give an exception.

Their creative director mentioned it (http://paizo.com/paizo/messageboards/paizoPublishing/pathfinder/pathfinderRPG/rules/theOutsiderType&page=1&source=search#1) a while back.

Zherog
2011-10-08, 11:01 AM
I gotta say, from a RAW point-of-view, I disagree with James. What he said might be the intention, but RAW all outsiders get the proficiency.

MeeposFire
2011-10-08, 03:00 PM
I gotta say, from a RAW point-of-view, I disagree with James. What he said might be the intention, but RAW all outsiders get the proficiency.

PF writers tend to rule more by what they want rather than what they write (this isn't the first time this has happened which also makes RAW discussions difficult at times). They also seem to have pretty low standards of balance if they think free martial weapon proficiency on a wizard (or anybody for that matter) means much of anything.

Zolthux
2011-10-09, 12:28 PM
Q54: Let's say I'm running a character with Sneak attack (Rogue, Assassin, whatever). My character also has the ability to cast ray of enfeeblement or enervation. I've heard that if the target is flatfooted, they take additional sneak attack damage as negative energy. Can anyone confirm this for PF? is it in the book somewhere?

Yora
2011-10-09, 12:56 PM
A54: Sneak Attack applies only when dealing hit point damage. Neither spell does, so Sneak Attack does never apply to them.

MeeposFire
2011-10-11, 01:46 AM
Q54: Let's say I'm running a character with Sneak attack (Rogue, Assassin, whatever). My character also has the ability to cast ray of enfeeblement or enervation. I've heard that if the target is flatfooted, they take additional sneak attack damage as negative energy. Can anyone confirm this for PF? is it in the book somewhere?

In 3.5 spells like enervation dealt extra SA damage as negative energy damage and this rule was in complete arcane. I don't know if that was written in PF anywhere.

Frosty
2011-10-12, 04:33 PM
Q 55: I'm confused by the entry on Bucklers. It saus I can use a bow without penalty whole carrying a buckler. Do I also get any AC bonuses from my buckler on the round I fire my bow?

Blisstake
2011-10-12, 04:52 PM
Q 55: I'm confused by the entry on Bucklers. It saus I can use a bow without penalty whole carrying a buckler. Do I also get any AC bonuses from my buckler on the round I fire my bow?

I don't see bows mentioned specifically, but according to the srd, if you have a buckler in your offhand while wielding an offhand weapon *or* if you use that off-hand to wield a two handed weapon, then you take a -1 to attacks and lose the AC bonus when attacking.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/armor/buckler

It's also in the (unofficial) FAQ

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/extras/pathfinder-faq#TOC-Buckler

Frosty
2011-10-12, 05:00 PM
Core rulebook page 150 under the Buckler entry. I own the Fourth printing of the book printed in September 2010.

Blisstake
2011-10-12, 05:48 PM
I have a fourth printing as well. I see noting related to bows in particular under the buckler entry.

Frosty
2011-10-12, 06:32 PM
It says, and I quote:
This small metal shield is worn strapped to your forearm. You can use a boe or crossbow without penalty while carrying it.

Blisstake
2011-10-12, 08:53 PM
Not showing up in my copy. I'd stick to the srd in that case.

gomanfox
2011-10-12, 09:24 PM
This small metal shield is worn strapped to your forearm. You can use a bow or crossbow without penalty while carrying it.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/armor/buckler

It's in the description of the buckler (in italics) above the Benefit notes.

My guess is that you would not get the AC bonus from the buckler when using a bow or crossbow, but you also would not get the normal -1 penalty to attacks either.

NamelessNPC
2011-10-12, 11:13 PM
Q56: How much higher than your opponent do you need to be to get the higher ground bonus to attack rolls?

Larpus
2011-10-13, 10:45 AM
Q56: How much higher than your opponent do you need to be to get the higher ground bonus to attack rolls?
A?56
Well, I wasn't able to find anything specific about it. However, seeing as it only affects melee attacks and not ranged ones, I'd say that a foot should be enough.

Let's kill the catgirl a bit, but a 1 foot advantage is already enough that, supposing that both attacker and defender have about the same heigh, attacker can now easily strike defender's head and it'll be considerably harder for defender to defend himself.

Going higher shouldn't change much, but if you go high enough (defender's height), defender ends up flatfooted since he can no longer see you.

Lord Bingo
2011-10-13, 06:16 PM
A55 IMO the wording in the buckler entry is pretty clear. You will not receive a penalty to your attack rolls while using a bow or a crossbow when wearing a buckler. However, the general rule that you will not gain the benefits of the buckler while attacking with you off-hand or a two-handed weapon still applies.

So, no penalties and no benefits:smallwink:

A56 There is nothing that specifies how much higher, in feet and inches, you need to be to to gain a height advantage over an enemy, so basically it is the DM's call to decide whether your relative position to your target should net you an advantage.

Theorac
2011-10-14, 11:06 AM
Q57 - Is Cleaving Assault and Greater Cleaving Assault from a Paizo book? I cant find any mention in the PSRD.

Yora
2011-10-14, 11:52 AM
A57: When you google it, almost all results are forum threads about 4E. Possible that someone converted that ability to PF, but it does not seem to be from a Paizo source.

Prime32
2011-10-14, 02:54 PM
Q57 - Is Cleaving Assault and Greater Cleaving Assault from a Paizo book? I cant find any mention in the PSRD.You may be thinking of Cleaving Finish and Improved Cleaving Finish, which have the same effects as 3.5e Cleave and Great Cleave (but with the PF versions as prereqs).

Theorac
2011-10-16, 12:58 AM
Q57 continued? I found 2 links to a non 4th ed page.

http://community.wizards.com/pathfinderarchives/go/thread/view/79129/20129225/?pg=last
and
http://community.wizards.com/pathfinderarchives/wiki/Cleaving_Assault_%28Combat%29_-Pathfinder

seems to be a custom creation?

El Dorado
2011-10-16, 10:38 PM
A57 They appear to be homebrewed feats.

Souhiro
2011-10-17, 02:26 AM
Q058: The druid get an spell at Lvl-4, Ice Storm (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/i/ice-storm), which is a cilinder, with a range... well, 400+40*Druid Level, 20 Ft radius and 40 Ft. Height.

Altough it deals its 5d6 damage once, it looks to me an exageration, for a divine spell, so much damage and an outrageous long cilinder, then I think:
It's a cilinder, and the 20ft radius base must in the floor, or it's a proyection, and the base can be vertical, and proyect the cilinder, like the Parasite Eve game?

Yora
2011-10-17, 05:37 AM
A58: The ice hits everything in a 20 ft. radius circle around the point you targeted and also hits everything that is 40 ft or less in the air above the circle on the ground.

The point you target where the 20 ft radius circle appears can be 400+40/level feet away from where you are standing.

Haron
2011-10-18, 09:07 AM
Q59: Question concerning wild shape and the beast shape spells:

The entries for the different beast shape spells say something about all kinds of speed, but do not mention the basic land speed, and i also did not find any reference to that in any polymorph entry. Do the beast shape spells give you the basic land speed of the animal you turn into, or is it also limited to 30/60/90/120 like the progression of the spells, or do you even keep your own basic land speed?
i probably missed the rule entry where that is cleared up, can anyone point me to it?

Yora
2011-10-18, 10:08 AM
A59: It's part of the general rules for polymorph effects:

Your base speed changes to match that of the form you assume.

Theorac
2011-10-18, 11:41 AM
Q60: Do feats that give attacks stack? Say, as an example, the cleave feat that gives an extra attack to adjacent enemy if it hits and another feat that allows an extra attack against adjacent if the enemy targeted dies. Do both feats activate if the attacked enemy dies?

Zherog
2011-10-18, 12:08 PM
A 60

An answer can't be provided, as it would depend entirely on the wording of both feats. If you have a specific combo in mind, please repost with that, rather than one "real" feat and one hypothetical feat.

GreenZ
2011-10-20, 02:24 AM
Q 61

Can an oracle with the Deaf Curse (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/oracle/oracle-curses) take the trait Magical Lineage (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits/magic-traits/magical-lineage), choosing a level one spell with a verbal component (for this example, the spell Command (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/c/command),) and cast the level 1 spell as if they were modified by the Silent Spell feat in order to turn it into a level 0 spell? (And thus consume no spell slots?)

gomanfox
2011-10-20, 05:24 AM
A 61

Pick one spell when you choose this trait. When you apply metamagic feats to this spell, treat its actual level as 1 lower for determining the spell’s final adjusted level.

You cast all of your spells as if they were modified by the Silent Spell feat

As it is written, for Magical Lineage to reduce a spell's level, it must have a metamagic feat applied to it. The benefit of the Deaf Curse isn't applying the Silent Spell feat to the Oracle's spells, it is just giving the benefit of the feat to the spells for free, so Magical Lineage would not apply in the example you gave.

gomanfox
2011-10-20, 08:13 PM
Q 62

Is a monk's increased damage on their unarmed strikes considered an effect that augments unarmed strikes for the Feral Combat Training (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/feral-combat-training-combat) feat? Specifically, could a Monk/Druid take Feral Combat Training (bite) and use its normal unarmed strike damage on its bite attacks when wild shaped into a wolf?

evillemming
2011-10-21, 09:07 AM
Q 63

Surprise round?

So a NPC caster (with his two bodyguards) was talking with group of adventurers -- they are standing 20-30' feet apart (the PCs are spread out in camp, the caster is 20' from the closest one). The NPC gleams some information he needs from party, then decides that it is time for them to die, so casts a fireball. Does this constitute a surprise round and the NPC is assumed to get his cast off before the party can react, or should initiative be rolled right away?

Thanks for the help!

Yora
2011-10-21, 09:24 AM
A63: Hard to answer this by RAW, it depends mostly on how the GM decides to have the NPCs act before combat breaks out. If they are keeping an eye on the character to see if he does anything funny, it would be regular Initiative rolls for everyone. If they are not suspecting anything and the characters casting is what triggers them to start feeling threatened, than I think the character should get a suprise round, as the character who wins Initiative does so as a reaction to the PCs casting.

A Bluff check by the attacker might be a good solution to solve this. If his Bluff check is higher than the characters Sense Motive checks, he catches them completely by surprise and gets the suprise round. If he fails than some of the PCs see that he is about to cast a spell.

El Dorado
2011-10-21, 07:49 PM
A 62

No. A monk's damage is a characteristic of the unarmed strike class feature (and not a separate effect). The damage for the natural weapon is unchanged.

deuxhero
2011-10-21, 08:35 PM
Q64

Tengus are trained from birth in swordplay, and as a result are automatically proficient with sword-like weapons (including bastard swords[...]

Is the Bastard Sword training exotic or martial?

El Dorado
2011-10-21, 11:50 PM
A 64

Bastard sword is an exotic weapon.

A bastard sword is about 4 feet in length, making it too large to use in one hand without special training; thus, it is an exotic weapon. A character can use a bastard sword two-handed as a martial weapon.

Ravens_cry
2011-10-22, 02:25 AM
Q65
Can the Guided (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/magic-weapons/magic-weapons-non-core/weapon-property---guided) weapon property be used on a ranged weapon?

Lord Bingo
2011-10-22, 02:51 AM
A65 The wording of the enhancement specifically says that it replaces the strength bonus to attacks with a characters wisdom bonus, thus indicating that it is a property for melee weapons only.

That said I see no reason why such a property could not also exist for ranged weapons, so I would recommend you take that to your GM.

deuxhero
2011-10-22, 12:06 PM
q66

How does Favored Class work for monstrous races?

Yora
2011-10-22, 03:39 PM
A66: All characters can chose their favored class at character creation. For each level in a favored class, the character gains either 1 extra skill point or +1 hp.

I don't see anything that would indicate that it's different when the character has racial HD.

Ashram
2011-10-23, 01:34 PM
A66: All characters can chose their favored class at character creation. For each level in a favored class, the character gains either 1 extra skill point or +1 hp.

I don't see anything that would indicate that it's different when the character has racial HD.

A66b. That doesn't really hold water, considering "favored class" and what you're effectively saying is "favored race" for the monsters are two different things.

Unless the monsters take class levels, they do not get the +1 HP or skill point per level.

Stone Heart
2011-10-23, 03:30 PM
Ashram, I don't see anything in Yora's post that needed your "correction". I see nothing about a favored race there, and Yora said that they pick a favored class at character creation and For each level in a favored class, the character gains either 1 extra skill point or +1 hp..

Q67 Can you use a mutagen and a Cognatogen at the same time? And if so can you just use the opposing ones resulting in a net gain of +2 for both stats?

Keneth
2011-10-24, 03:34 AM
Q68

What happens to the summoner's eidolon when it reaches 0 or fewer hit points? Does get disabled/starts dying as normal? Also, if the eidolon has less than half of its hp at the end of the day, wouldn't it be more efficient (if somewhat distasteful) to just kill it and it would return the next day with half its total?

Yora
2011-10-24, 06:54 AM
Q69: I've read somewhere that some people believe that an oracle in elemental form from a revelation can not cast spells.

Is there any reason that a character under effect of an elemental body spell can not cast spells? Characters under polyorph effect retain all their abilities unless they are missing required body parts. Since all elementals speak a language and make slam attacks, they have the ability to provide verbal components and hands for somatic components.

Keneth
2011-10-24, 09:02 AM
A69

That's arguable, I see magic as a fine art so being able to cast a spell just because you can slam something is like giving a painter a roller for painting walls and asking him to paint you a masterpiece on a regular canvas. By RAW I don't exactly see anything wrong with an elemental casting spells that only have verbal and somatic components but material components might be out of the question.

Larpus
2011-10-24, 09:33 AM
Q67 Can you use a mutagen and a Cognatogen at the same time? And if so can you just use the opposing ones resulting in a net gain of +2 for both stats?
A67
A Cognatogen is a "mutagen-like" mixture, and follows the standard rules for Mutagen despite its different name.
Benefit: The alchemist gains the ability to create a cognatogen, a mutagen-like mixture that heightens one mental ability score at the expense of a physical ability score. [...] All limitations of mutagens apply to cognatogens as if they were the same substance—an alchemist can only maintain one mutagen or cognatogen at a time, a cognatogen that is not in an alchemist’s possession becomes inert, drinking a cognatogen makes a non-alchemist sick, and so on. [...]

So while you can use a Cognatogen and a Mutagen at the same time, the Alchemist can only be under the effect of one Mutagen, so the second one's effects replace the initial one's.
A non-alchemist who drinks a mutagen must make a Fortitude save (DC 10 + 1/2 the alchemist’s level + the alchemist’s Intelligence modifier) or become nauseated for 1 hour—a non-alchemist can never gain the benefit of a mutagen, but an alchemist can gain the effects of another alchemist’s mutagen if he drinks it. (Although if the other alchemist creates a different mutagen, the effects of the “stolen” mutagen immediately cease.) The effects of a mutagen do not stack. Whenever an alchemist drinks a mutagen, the effects of any previous mutagen immediately end.

Q68

What happens to the summoner's eidolon when it reaches 0 or fewer hit points? Does get disabled/starts dying as normal? Also, if the eidolon has less than half of its hp at the end of the day, wouldn't it be more efficient (if somewhat distasteful) to just kill it and it would return the next day with half its total?
A68
The rules are unclear, so it's really a DM call. However the RAI is that the Eidolon, unlike a normal summon, is only sent back upon death, so it is quite likely that Eidolons get disabled/dying as normal.

And yes, in such a situation it is mechanically better to slay the Eidolon, but doing so is most probably an evil act since it's the same as slaying your immortal dog because it'll "come back later" and is your "best friend, forever". But you can actually make a wand of Lesser Rejuvenate Eidolon as long as you actually know the spell and sits by the side of someone who has Craft Wand through the whole crafting proccess.

Q69: I've read somewhere that some people believe that an oracle in elemental form from a revelation can not cast spells.

Is there any reason that a character under effect of an elemental body spell can not cast spells? Characters under polyorph effect retain all their abilities unless they are missing required body parts. Since all elementals speak a language and make slam attacks, they have the ability to provide verbal components and hands for somatic components.
A69
Since the RAW mentions nothing of the elementals being able to make precise gestures (and by extension somatic spell components), but while the RAI seems to be that they indeed can, it also seems to hint at them not being able to do almost anything requiring finesse unless they're "generally humanoid in form" (in fact, I don't think that any of the standard elementals cast any spells, they just command elements or have SLAs).

As such, many people (DMs included) believe that a caster in elemental form is unable to cast spells with somatic components, most probably compelled to think this way as opposed to "elementals can cast" due to the usual power level of casters vs. melee, which just increases if now the caster is an elemental.

Ravens_cry
2011-10-24, 09:40 AM
Q70
If you have sneak attack and can cast scorching ray, do you get sneak attack on all of them if you meet the requirements for sneak attack?

Keneth
2011-10-24, 10:47 AM
Q71

Is there any actual limit to how many limbs an eidolon can have? I seem to remember seeing some kind of limit somewhere but I can't find anything except for max number of natural attacks. Am I missing something or can it have like 24 arms with a weapon in each one? :smallconfused:

Lord Bingo
2011-10-24, 04:53 PM
A70 When you cast a spell such as Scorching Ray or Magic Missile, as well as if you are using Many Shot when shooting your bow, you only apply precision damage to the first ray/missile/arrow.

-edit-
A71 There is indeed nothing that stops you selecting the Limbs (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/summoner/eidolons) evolution multiple times. While each of these limbs may be used to wield a weapon, you must however remember that all the penalties for wielding multiple weapons apply. To counter these you should select Multiweapon Fighting (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/multiweapon-fighting-combat).

Drelua
2011-10-24, 05:13 PM
A70 When you cast a spell such as Scorching Ray or Magic Missile, as well as if you are using Many Shot when shooting your bow, you only apply precision damage to the first ray/missile/arrow..

A 70 Addendum:

Can anyone supply a source for this? I know it was mentioned in Complete Arcane, but is there anything in Pathfinder material? This has come up a few times before, and I've never seen a definitive answer according to PF RAW.

Lord Bingo
2011-10-24, 05:26 PM
A70 Addendum:
How does the Surprise Spells class feature of the Arcane Trickster prestige class (Core Rulebook, page 378) work with spells like magic missile and fireball?
The Surprise Spells class feature allows the Arcane Trickster to add his sneak attack dice to spells that deal damage that target flat-footed foes. This damage is only applied once per spell. In the case of fireball this means it affects all targets in the area, with each getting a save to halve the damage (including the sneak attack damage). In the case of magic missile, the extra damage is only added once to one missile, chosen by the caster when the spell is cast.

—Jason Bulmahn, 05/31/11 (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/v5748btpy88yj/faq#v5748eaic9o2r)

There ya go:smallwink:

-edit-
Also, see the description of the Manyshot (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/manyshot-combat---final) feat, regarding precision damage and multiple arrows.

Zejety
2011-10-25, 06:56 AM
Q71 Q72

Replacing and Copying Spellbooks

A wizard can use the procedure for learning a spell to reconstruct a lost spellbook. If he already has a particular spell prepared, he can write it directly into a new book at the same cost required to write a spell into a spellbook. The process wipes the prepared spell from his mind, just as casting it would. If he does not have the spell prepared, he can prepare it from a borrowed spellbook and then write it into a new book.emphasis mine

Which procedure does the first sentence refer to?
The paragraphs "Spells Gained at a New Level", "Spells Copied from Another's Spellbook or a Scroll" and "Independent Research" from the same page?

Does that mean you will have to re-learn your lost spells from scratch (if you can't borrough a book containing them), for example by spending your 2 spells per levels?

Larpus
2011-10-25, 07:20 AM
Q71 Q72

Which procedure does the first sentence refer to?
The paragraphs "Spells Gained at a New Level", "Spells Copied from Another's Spellbook or a Scroll" and "Independent Research" from the same page?

Does that mean you will have to re-learn your lost spells from scratch (if you can't borrough a book containing them), for example by spending your 2 spells per levels?
A71 A72
Any of them actually, depends on what the Wizard is doing to get his set of spells again. It was a bit unnecessary, since that's the RAI, but that line turns it into RAW, meaning that a Wizard does not have any discounts when remaking his grimoire, despite the fact that he once knew those very same spells (appart from spells he had prepared, which do not need a Spellcraft check).

And yes, it does mean that a Wizard, if so inclined, can spend his 2 spells/level to re-learn a specific spell.

Keneth
2011-10-25, 09:05 AM
A71 There is indeed nothing that stops you selecting the Limbs (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/summoner/eidolons) evolution multiple times. While each of these limbs may be used to wield a weapon, you must however remember that all the penalties for wielding multiple weapons apply. To counter these you should select Multiweapon Fighting (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/multiweapon-fighting-combat).

I know but it's a bit ridiculous that your eidolon can get an arbitrary amount of attacks per round at -4 penalty with MWF as long as it has enough evolution points to get more arms. There should be some kind of limit. :smallconfused:

Larpus
2011-10-25, 09:15 AM
I know but it's a bit ridiculous that your eidolon can get an arbitrary amount of attacks per round at -4 penalty with MWF as long as it has enough evolution points to get more arms. There should be some kind of limit. :smallconfused:
Synthesists do have a cap, so maybe later on they'll do such an errata for normal Eidolons as well.

Even so, never forget the cost of so many weapons. It's meaningless to have 40 attacks per round if only 5 of them hit and out of those only one actually does any meaningful damage.

Yora
2011-10-25, 09:59 AM
Q73:In the PF SRD it says under "Celestial Creature": "Celestial creatures dwell in the higher planes, but can be summoned using spells such as summon monster and planar ally."

However, planar ally affects only outsiders and the celestial creature template does not mention a change to creature type. (3.5e explicitly states that animals and vermins become magical beast, but all other types remain unchanged.)

Is there anything official, or something different in the books, that clairifies if celestial creatures can be called by planar ally spells?

Keneth
2011-10-25, 10:46 AM
It's meaningless to have 40 attacks per round if only 5 of them hit and out of those only one actually does any meaningful damage. Having 40 attacks is the farthest thing from meaningless when you're playing with the Critical Hit Deck and all the weapons are keen scimitars. :smallwink: Then again, we're also playing the Critical Miss Deck, so 40 bad attacks might be a good way to lose a few fingers and a spleen every round. :smallbiggrin:

A73 Well a creature from another plane is by definition an outsider. But yes, the celestial and fiendish templates don't change the creature type. I don't think there's any other clarification on the matter (at least none I've seen) but as far as definitions go, templates are more specific than types and hence take precedence. So if the template says you can do it, you can do it. At least that's how I see it.

The Glyphstone
2011-10-25, 12:16 PM
Q74: If a flying creature is Dazed and thus prevented from taking an action, can it still make a Fly check to hover, or does it automatically crash?

Yora
2011-10-25, 12:55 PM
A74: As I understand the skill, flying always requires to take a move action (or a charge). The skilly says that a Fly check is never an action, but part of another action. Since a dazed creature can neither take a move action to fly at standard speed and not having to make a Fly check, nor a move action to Hover in place, it would presumedly fall when dazed.

Ravens_cry
2011-10-25, 01:23 PM
A70 Addendum:

There ya go:smallwink:

-edit-
Also, see the description of the Manyshot (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/manyshot-combat---final) feat, regarding precision damage and multiple arrows.
Q70 Adendum
Yes, but one, manyshot you only roll once. With those spells mentioned, the only way to even get sneak attack is with the Surprise Spells. WIth Scorching Ray, you roll for each 4d6 ray.
Should I make a thread on this?

Prime32
2011-10-25, 01:37 PM
A73 Well a creature from another plane is by definition an outsider. But yes, the celestial and fiendish templates don't change the creature type. I don't think there's any other clarification on the matter (at least none I've seen) but as far as definitions go, templates are more specific than types and hence take precedence. So if the template says you can do it, you can do it. At least that's how I see it.The difference is that an outsider from Celestia is a spiritual entity that's literally made out of the idea of Celestia-ness, while a celestial creature just happens to be native to that plane and is otherwise normal.

Zherog
2011-10-25, 03:00 PM
Q70 Adendum
Yes, but one, manyshot you only roll once. With those spells mentioned, the only way to even get sneak attack is with the Surprise Spells. WIth Scorching Ray, you roll for each 4d6 ray.
Should I make a thread on this?

Probably a good call, yeah.

Keneth
2011-10-25, 03:12 PM
The difference is that an outsider from Celestia is a spiritual entity that's literally made out of the idea of Celestia-ness, while a celestial creature just happens to be native to that plane and is otherwise normal. Yes, that is where (most) outsiders differ from creatures on the material plane. I had no intention of arguing that point since celestial creatures don't get the outsider type, I was merely implying that all extraplanar creatures can be considered outsiders as far as fluff is concerned. I gave my opinion on the RAW in the second part of my post.

A70

I have found no ruling in the current Pathfinder rules that would prevent you from applying sneak attack more than once (I half-expected to find something in UM). Therefore you follow the standard rules for sneak attacks, one sneak attack per attack roll.

The Glyphstone
2011-10-25, 08:46 PM
A74: As I understand the skill, flying always requires to take a move action (or a charge). The skilly says that a Fly check is never an action, but part of another action. Since a dazed creature can neither take a move action to fly at standard speed and not having to make a Fly check, nor a move action to Hover in place, it would presumedly fall when dazed.

What if it has the Hover feat?

El Dorado
2011-10-25, 10:11 PM
What if it has the Hover feat?

A 74 Additional

The creature would remain airborne.

Hover: A creature with this feat can halt its movement while flying, allowing it to hover without needing to make a Fly skill check.

BobVosh
2011-10-26, 02:27 AM
Q75
Is retraining in pathfinder, if so where/what are the rules for it? Replacing feats/class levels/etc is what I mean by retraining.

Zejety
2011-10-26, 04:40 AM
Q76
When learning "Protection from Chaos/Evil/Good/Law" from the Wizard/Sorcerer spell list, do you have to chose an alignment right away or on a per-cast basis?

Yora
2011-10-26, 04:56 AM
A76: Since there are four seperate spell descriptions, they are four seperate skills. This means you have to learn and prepare each variant seperately.

Blindness/Deafness is a single spell, so you can just prepare it and decide which way to use it when you cast it.

Larpus
2011-10-26, 07:13 AM
Q75
Is retraining in pathfinder, if so where/what are the rules for it? Replacing feats/class levels/etc is what I mean by retraining.
A75
Other than the Fighter class feature of retraining his feats (gained from extra feats, he can't retrain feats gained from leveling), I don't think there is any rule.

However, it is mentioned in every new book, iirc, that since new feats, spells, classes, archetypes, etc are released and that they sometimes will fit a PC's concept better than anything else that existed up to that point, upon DM's approval they can be all retrained and retconned.

A simple example is the Magus, which is the Pathfinder gish-in-a-can, I can only imagine how many Eldritch Knights (or people on the road to get there) begged their DMs so they could be Magi instead because the class fit the "someone trained since day one to be a gish" as opposed to a "Wizard who learns to wave a pointy stick/Fighter who learns to cast spells".

panaikhan
2011-10-26, 08:03 AM
Q77 (I think)
One of the Alchemist bomb-additive powers states that the intended target catches fire and burns until it puts itself out. Silly question, but if the target can't put itself out, does it burn for eternity? is this time to step outside RAW?

Larpus
2011-10-26, 08:15 AM
Q77 (I think)
One of the Alchemist bomb-additive powers states that the intended target catches fire and burns until it puts itself out. Silly question, but if the target can't put itself out, does it burn for eternity? is this time to step outside RAW?
A77 (I also think)
You mean Explosive Bomb (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/alchemist/discoveries/paizo---alchemist-discoveries/explosive-bomb), right?

And yes, by RAW the flames keep burning the target forever if they aren't extinguished. But I don't think the omission of the duration is an accident, I do believe that it was the designers' intent to mimic the effects of a massive explosion, which burns and destroys everything in time if not contained.

ThatLovin'Elan
2011-10-26, 09:42 AM
A77b

Here's the full rules about catching on fire (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/environment/environmental-rules#TOC-Catching-on-Fire). By RAW, the fire does not end until a successful reflex save is made or it is put out by smothering, etc.

JKTrickster
2011-10-26, 10:01 AM
Q78.

When one becomes an Outsider (for example via the Monk capstone) does that retroactively affect his BaB, HD, skills, etc? Or only from that point on? Or even at all?

ThatLovin'Elan
2011-10-26, 10:17 AM
A78

It depends mostly on by what means the creature is changing type. As per the monk example:

Perfect Self (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/monk#TOC-Perfect-Self-): At 20th level, a monk becomes a magical creature. He is forevermore treated as an outsider rather than as a humanoid (or whatever the monk's creature type was) for the purpose of spells and magical effects.

It does not say anything about changing BAB, HD, etc.

Most templates that change a creature's type specify what statistics to change. Compare with Vampire (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/templates/vampire).

evillemming
2011-10-26, 11:09 AM
Q 79: The Witch's Misfortune Hex + Cackle:

I have a question about how much the Misfortune hex actually covers....

Anytime the creature makes an ability check, attack roll, saving throw, or skill check

Would this include things like concentration (for spellcasting) rolls as well?

Also, it appears by the RAW that the witch can, as long as he has a move action available and uses the Cackle ability, render a mob who fails his will save unable to do anything that requires a d20 (or at least have a severely limited likelihood of succeeding). Is this off, are there d20 rolls NOT effected by this ability?

Yora
2011-10-26, 11:30 AM
A79: Technically, Concentration is neither a skill check, nor an ability check. A caster level check would be the closest thing, but that one isn't listed under the misfortune Hex.

So as written, Concentration checks are not affected by misfortune.

Cackle can continue indefinately as long as you spend move actions. It is considered a very good ability.

Biggles
2011-10-26, 11:54 AM
Q80

Can the spell Abundant Ammunition (Ultimate Combat) be cast upon the bolt case of a Repeating Crossbow to forestall the need to reload until after the end of the spell?

The Glyphstone
2011-10-26, 06:11 PM
Q81: Does Rapid Shot work with thrown weapons?