PDA

View Full Version : Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XIX

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

LibraryOgre
2011-10-19, 12:31 PM
(This is a fairly high procedure thread; please read the entire instructions carefully before posting. Thanks.)

Ever have a simple, straight-forward rules question that you can’t figure out the answer to? Ask it here. No question is too simple. No more worrying about whether your question is “worth” starting a thread. Ask here and receive an answer. You are, of course, welcome to start a thread for your question, and if you think your question is subject to many interpretations or will start a debate, you are encouraged to start a new thread for it.

This thread will serve as a catch-all for simple, discreet questions that can be answered quickly according to the RAW (Rules As Written). This thread is for all simple RAW questions about D&D 3.5. If your question is not about the RAW for 3.5, please look in the appropriate threads in the appropriate forums.

The Procedure:

Do:
Label your questions with bold Q#s.
Label your answers with the bold Q# that you are responding to and/or quote the question.
Be sure that your answer is correct before you post it; if you are the least bit uncertain, just let it pass and get the next one.
Try to give your answers in as clear and straightforward terms as possible.
Feel free to quote or link to relevant rules in the SRD, Errata, or FAQ that supports your answer. (You may want to give your answer and then modify it to add support – otherwise someone else may answer while you’re assembling yours.)
Specify if your question is for a system other than D&D (the default for this thread).

Don’t:
Ask Homebrew rules questions here.
Ask trick questions or attempt to “stump the panel,” so to speak.
Answer a question that’s already been answered.
Offer contradictions, clarifications, exceptions, or extensions of prior answers unless, in your opinion, the answer give is plainly and completely wrong.
Post to debate the answers given.
Post to carry on other conversations whether tangentially related or wholly unrelated.

Dispute Resolution Procedure:
If you dispute someone’s answer – meaning that they got it wrong in a critical fashion – post your answer and suggest that the original questioner start a thread to discuss it further if they want it hashed out.
If someone disputes your answer, don’t respond. Just wait to see if the original questioner starts a new thread to discuss it.
If your question leads to a disputed answer, start a new thread if you’d like it discussed further.

Here are some sample questions. “Bad” questions just mean they should be asked in their own thread where you can get many answers and opinions. “Good” questions just mean that these are the types of questions that are amenable to a quick straightforward answer (probably).

Sample “Bad” Questions:
How do I play D&D? (Great question, but not for this thread.)
What is a good 10 level TWF build? (Far too broad and requires much opinion)
What +2 LA race should I take for my sorcerer build? (Again, an opinion question)
Which is better GURPS or D&D?

Sample “Good” Questions:
Q.1. Are there any Large +0 LA races?
Q.2. As a sorcerer/rogue, do I get to add sneak attack damage to my attack spells?
Q.3. What effect would Dispel Magic have on a golem or similar construct?
Q.4. Is there a feat that allows me to get a familiar?

{The first several versions of this thread seemed to run pretty efficiently, but if you have any comments about how this thread could be improved please PM me.}

Please start over with the numbering. Thanks.

Lictor of Thrax
2011-10-19, 02:07 PM
Q: 1

When attacking using Craven and two weapon fighting, does the bonus count for each weapon attack you make, or does it simply apply once as a bonus to the sneak attack on the whole?

My DM sees it as only counting once though he's not hardcore about it. Personally, I could see it either way but thought that maybe people better at interpreting D&D speak might be more certain.

Thanks!

Elric VIII
2011-10-19, 02:18 PM
A 1

Sneak attack (and all relevant modifiers) apply to each attack made in a situation in which SA would be permitted (flat-footed, etc). Craven applies to each attack from each weapon.

Q 2 (Repost for new thread)

a. If I full attack with Raptor Arrows, do I run into the problem of not being able to have more than I can hold return to my bow?

b. Would having Manyshot change this?

c. If I had an Elven Double Bow, would I be able to have one arrow return to each string?

The Underlord
2011-10-19, 04:48 PM
Q 3 If a weapon entry says it can make a ranged trip attack, does it have a ranged limitation on how far you can trip, and how do ranged trip attacks differ from normal trip attacks?

trazwald
2011-10-19, 05:18 PM
Q4

How does BAB progression affect natural attack routines? Ex: a dragon disciple has a bite attack and two claw attacks. The bite attack is made at full BAB, but the claws are made at a -5 (-2 with multiattack). If the character is CL 15 (battle sorceror variant 4/fighter 1/DD 10), with a BAB of 12/7/2, how many attacks can the character make in a full attack? Is it Bite:+12/7/2, Claw: +7/2, Claw:+7/2 (no multiattack)?
Or with a weapon instead of claws, does it then become Bite: +12/7/2, Weapon: +12/7/2?

Keld Denar
2011-10-19, 05:24 PM
A 4

You never gain additional attacks from a high BAB with natural attacks. Instead, you make one attack with each natural weapon. At various break points, this is advantageous. At others, it is not.

There is a set of feats that give you additional attacks with a "pair" of natural weapons which are similar to an iterative attack, but are not true iterative attacks. The feats are Rapid Strike and Improved Rapid Strike in the Draconomnomnomnomnomicon.

See also my miniguide. (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=10994.0)

JaronK
2011-10-19, 08:22 PM
Q: 1

When attacking using Craven and two weapon fighting, does the bonus count for each weapon attack you make, or does it simply apply once as a bonus to the sneak attack on the whole?

My DM sees it as only counting once though he's not hardcore about it. Personally, I could see it either way but thought that maybe people better at interpreting D&D speak might be more certain.

Thanks!

Once per attack, just like Sneak Attack.

JaronK

Gullintanni
2011-10-20, 08:24 AM
A 1

Q 2 (Repost for new thread)

a. If I full attack with Raptor Arrows, do I run into the problem of not being able to have more than I can hold return to my bow?

b. Would having Manyshot change this?

c. If I had an Elven Double Bow, would I be able to have one arrow return to each string?

A2: By RAW, Raptor Arrows return and restring themselves to your bow at the beginning of the next round. As there is no limit described anywhere for how many arrows may be on the string of a bow at a time, this really doesn't become an issue.

It is somewhat nonsensical to assume your bow will function normally with 4+ arrows nocked at a time. Fortunately, drawing ammunition is a free action, so you can simply move your returned arrows around with impunity to explain away this strange little inconsistency.

Scarey Nerd
2011-10-20, 05:28 PM
Q5: How long does a Warlock's "Entropic Warding" invocation last?

Ditto
2011-10-20, 08:03 PM
Q6

How exactly is the level lost after being raised by Raise Dead work? It says you lose a level, as if attacked by an Energy Drain attack (-1 to attack, saves, -5 health, loss of spells, etc.) BUT this level cannot be regained by any method.

You don't lose XP upon being raised, though, so if you gain 1 more XP, I would think you are immediately back at your original level (and just lose the listed penalties). Is this correct?

6b
Specifically in the case of spells, would going up a level grant a wizard new spells known for his spellbook? (Meaning being raised is a really inefficient way to learn free spells, even after you factor in 5000gp in diamonds?)

Ditto
2011-10-20, 08:05 PM
A5

As with many warlock buffs, Entropic Warding lasts 24 hours.

Lateral
2011-10-20, 08:41 PM
Q 7

What methods of changing your size to a set size are there besides Mountain Rage and Giant Size? (Specifically, I'm talking about setting size; not increasing one size category, but going directly to Large, or Huge, or Medium, or what have you.

Q 8

How long does a Hengeyokai's transformation last?

Q 9

Are there any ways to negate, cancel out, reverse, or otherwise affect the size modifiers on Trip or Bull Rush checks (so that a really small tripper or dungeoncrasher is viable)?

KillianHawkeye
2011-10-20, 09:23 PM
A 6 You are confusing negative levels with level loss.

the affected creature must attempt a Fortitude save (DC 10 + ½ draining creature’s racial HD + draining creature’s Cha modifier; the exact DC is given in the creature’s descriptive text). On a success, the negative level goes away with no harm to the creature. On a failure, the negative level goes away, but the creature’s level is also reduced by one. (full text here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#energyDrainAndNegativeLevels) )

Losing a level requires you to readjust your stats to what they were 1 level ago. Your experience point total should be reduced to reflect the loss.

6b I'm guessing this will work, but you should probably check with your DM.

Ditto
2011-10-20, 09:51 PM
A6
So if you were level 3 and died, then Raise Dead'd, you would just rebuild yourself to how you looked with the minimum XP for level 2 You?

Curmudgeon
2011-10-21, 12:16 AM
A 8 1 hour/character level

The duration of the of the Hengeyokai's alternate form ability is specified by reference to the 3.0 spell Polymorph Self, which has a duration of 1 hour/level (D). This duration was not changed in the 3.5 updates, either in the new specification of the properties of alternate form (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#alternateForm), or in the published 3.5 update to Oriental Adventures (in Dragon # 318).

flumphy
2011-10-21, 12:53 AM
Q10 It seems like a simple question, but I couldn't actually find this answered anywhere. Is heavy armor a flat 5-foot decrease in speed regardless of size, or does it scale?

Keld Denar
2011-10-21, 01:12 AM
A 10

Speed

Medium or heavy armor slows the wearer down. The number on Table: Armor and Shields is the character’s speed while wearing the armor. Humans, elves, half-elves, and half-orcs have an unencumbered speed of 30 feet.

They use the first column. Dwarves, gnomes, and halflings have an unencumbered speed of 20 feet. They use the second column. Remember, however, that a dwarf’s land speed remains 20 feet even in medium or heavy armor or when carrying a medium or heavy load.

Its -10 if your speed is 30, or -5 if your speed is 20 (unless you're a dwarf).

For creatures with higher speed, we flip to the section on Barding (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsAndServices.htm#bardingMediumCreatureandLarge Creature). Creatures with a speed of 40 are reduced to 30, creatures with a speed of 50 are reduced to 35, and creatures with a speed of 60 are reduced to 40.

The trend seems to be that heavy armor reduces your speed by 1/3, but rounded up to the nearest 5'. 2/3 of 30 is 20. 2/3 of 20 is 13.33, which rounds up to 15. 2/3 of 40 is 26.67, which rounds up to 30. 2/3 of 50 is 33.33, which rounds up to 35. Etc.

This rule isn't really printed anywhere in the PHB, but its not hard to extrapolate like I did for speeds greater than 60.

Kurald Galain
2011-10-21, 04:59 AM
Q 11

What is the easiest way in which a wizard could (temporarily) boost his strength by +6? Is there some way in which a wizard can (temporarily) increase his carrying capacity without actually boosting his strength score?

cd4
2011-10-21, 05:27 AM
Q12 If I make an item that gives a bonus to 3 different skills skills should I calculate the cost as (Highest bonus^2*100)+(2nd Highest Bonus^2*100)*0.75+(Other Bonus^2*100)*0.5?

Curmudgeon
2011-10-21, 05:38 AM
A 11 partial

Various magic items will allow ignoring some encumbrance. For a fixed weight of 5 lbs., a Heward's Handy Haversack (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#handyHaversack) will allow carrying up to 120 lbs. inside without that adding to the character's encumbrance.

Assuming the character can move at all, the Alter Self spell, if the Wizard assumes the form of a Dwarf, will grant the Dwarf's mundane movement capabilities. That includes the ability to move at standard speed even when wearing medium or heavy armor or when carrying a medium or heavy load.

A 12 No.

That formula only applies to multiple similar abilities. The many spell-like powers of a Staff of Power are given as a good example of multiple similar abilities in the rules, and different skills have no such similarities for magic item creation purposes. Instead you use the "Multiple Different Abilities" formula (Dungeon Master's Guide, page 282).

Douglas
2011-10-21, 08:16 AM
A6
So if you were level 3 and died, then Raise Dead'd, you would just rebuild yourself to how you looked with the minimum XP for level 2 You?
Almost. Your new XP total would actually be halfway through the level, so you'd have 2000 XP total.

A 12 No.

That formula only applies to multiple similar abilities. The many spell-like powers of a Staff of Power are given as a good example of multiple similar abilities in the rules, and different skills have no such similarities for magic item creation purposes. Instead you use the "Multiple Different Abilities" formula (Dungeon Master's Guide, page 282).
A12 further note

Based on examples of its use, "similar" in this case should really be read as "mutually exclusive to a significant degree". Drawing on the same resource pool (a staff's charges) counts. Action cost might count as such a resource pool, provided that each ability is exclusively usable in situations where action cost matters. A magic item with two abilities that can be activated to switch between them but can never have both active at once might also count. Any case where all abilities can function and provide their full benefit simultaneously never counts as "similar" for pricing.

Zaq
2011-10-21, 11:08 AM
Q 13 If a character has Monk levels, a Monk's Belt, a Monk's Tattoo, and Superior Unarmed Strike, how is that character's unarmed damage calculated? I can't quite tell how all of those factors interact, if at all.

Keld Denar
2011-10-21, 11:27 AM
A 13

Its debatable whether or not all of those factors stack. YMMV. The details of the arguement are whether or not they each reference your base monk level (just like size increases reference your base size). Honestly, it could be read either way, and there have been whole threads devoted to this arguement that don't come to conclusive results. Consult with your DM to determine what his interpretation is.

Assuming you interpret them as stacking, the FAQ suggests that you stack them in a way that is most favorable for you. Add up your total monk levels, then apply any size or effective size increases.

Elric VIII
2011-10-21, 01:05 PM
Q 14

Does sickened escalate into nauseated (similar to the way fear effects work)?

Keld Denar
2011-10-21, 01:22 PM
A 14

Not in any rule that has been printed.

Kurald Galain
2011-10-21, 01:52 PM
Q11 (above) has not been fully answered yet: what is the easiest way for a wizard to gain a (temporary) +6 strength bonus.

Q15 do age bonuses or age penalties disappear when you permanently become an undead in general, or a lich in particular?

Keld Denar
2011-10-21, 03:34 PM
A 11

Take the feat Ability Enhancer and cast Bull Str on yourself? Or better yet, spend that feat on Craft Wonderous, and add +Str to an item you have. Or even BETTER, craft a Belt of the Wide Earth (doubles carrying capacity, MIC, in the back with the set items) and add +Str to that (using MIC's slot affinity rules).

A 15

Nothing in any description of becoming undead does it state that it removes existing penalties for aging. In fact, it doesn't address aging for undead at all.

Lateral
2011-10-21, 04:30 PM
Q 7

What methods of changing your size to a set size are there besides Mountain Rage and Giant Size? (Specifically, I'm talking about setting size; not increasing one size category, but going directly to Large, or Huge, or Medium, or what have you.

Q 9

Are there any ways to negate, cancel out, reverse, or otherwise affect the size modifiers on Trip or Bull Rush checks (so that a really small tripper or dungeoncrasher is viable)?

Also, Q 16

If your mount teleports, do you come along with it? If you teleport, does your mount come along with you?

Q 17

What other methods of travel are there that don't provoke opportunity attacks?

KillianHawkeye
2011-10-21, 04:58 PM
A 16 Only if the ability specifically allows taking other creatures along.

Curmudgeon
2011-10-21, 05:45 PM
A 17

Any movement will avoid provoking attacks of opportunity (AoOs) if you're visually undetectable.
You can’t execute an attack of opportunity against an opponent with total concealment, even if you know what square or squares the opponent occupies. Being invisible, or a successful Hide check, will accomplish that. Depending on how your DM interprets "until your next action", you might be able to use the combination of Cloak Dance (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#cloakDance) and Travel Devotion (Complete Champion) feats to gain total concealment (as a full-round action) and then move unseen (as a swift action). Burrowing, if you spend the entire movement underground, will keep you unseen also.

Alternatively, a 5' adjustment is the standard movement that avoids provoking AoOs.

KillianHawkeye
2011-10-21, 05:47 PM
A 17 additional

A successful Tumble check will allow you to move at half speed without provoking an AoO.

Curmudgeon
2011-10-21, 06:07 PM
A 17 additional

A successful Tumble check will allow you to move at half speed without provoking an AoO.
... and an even more successful (to accomodate the -10 Accelerated Tumbling penalty) check will do the same without slowing you down. You can even run and Tumble with a -20 penalty (Sprinting Tumble).

deuxhero
2011-10-21, 09:17 PM
Q18

What are the rules for multiple miss chances?

Runestar
2011-10-21, 09:33 PM
Q18

What are the rules for multiple miss chances?

They don't stack, only the best one applies. So if you have blur and displacement active, your miss chance is still only 50%.

McToomin
2011-10-21, 09:56 PM
Q19

Homebrew doesn't have a thread like this, so I'll ask here.

I'm statting some animals; what size would an animal have to be to carry around 3 to 4 medium characters? Huge? Bigger than that? I've looked everywhere and can't find anything on it.

Curmudgeon
2011-10-21, 10:32 PM
Re: A 18

The rules are rather more complex than that simple answer would indicate. In the core rules miss chances of different types stack. So Darkness (20% miss chance from concealment) and Blur (20% miss chance from concealment) don't stack. However Blur (20% miss chance from concealment) and Displacement (a 50% miss chance that's similar to total concealment, but isn't from concealment because you can still be targeted) do stack; you would roll them sequentially, or do some probability combining to result in a 60% total miss chance.

Rules Compendium added two new rules about miss chances, both on page 32:

Effects of Concealment
Multiple concealment conditions don’t stack. If a creature receives miss chances from multiple sources, such as from being incorporeal and having concealment, only the highest miss chance applies.

Degrees of Concealment
It usually isn’t worth differentiating between more degrees of concealment. However, the DM can rule that certain situations provide more or less than typical concealment, and modify the miss chance accordingly. The first one conflates all miss chances to be concealment, and thus Mirror Image, Blur, Blink, Displacement, and anything else which causes a miss chance would not stack together.

The second new rule allows a DM to simply ignore the first rule, adjusting the degree of concealment to be the same as in the core rules.

Zaq
2011-10-22, 02:39 AM
Q 11

What is the easiest way in which a wizard could (temporarily) boost his strength by +6? Is there some way in which a wizard can (temporarily) increase his carrying capacity without actually boosting his strength score?

A 11
Fist of Stone, a 1st level spell from Complete Arcane, gives a +6 enhancement bonus to STR for one minute, but it specifies that it works for the purposes of "attacks, grapple checks, or breaking and crushing items."

Randomguy
2011-10-22, 10:03 AM
Q20. If a gish casts a spell like corrosive grasp or chill touch that gives 1 touch attack per caster level, can they make a full attack made up of touch attacks? Can they attack both with weapons and touch attacks, assuming they take TWF penalties?

urnewemperor
2011-10-22, 04:33 PM
Q21
How do spells work if you multi-class from a wizard to a sorcerer, vice versa, or between to other arcane classes? Do you retain memorized spells and have another set of spells for another class?

Bakkan
2011-10-22, 05:15 PM
A21 Yes, you track the spells known, memorized, and spell slots used for each class separately.

Curmudgeon
2011-10-22, 05:37 PM
A 20 Yes.

You may make one attack to (attempt to) deliver a single spell charge in the round in which you cast a touch attack spell, and in subsequent rounds your BAB will determine the maximum number of attacks allowed if you make full melee attacks.

Randomguy
2011-10-22, 06:41 PM
Q22: Do extra attacks from TWF stack with extra attacks from a monk's flurry of blows?

Curmudgeon
2011-10-22, 06:58 PM
A 22

Yes, if made only with the special Monk weapons that are permitted when using flurry of blows. Penalties from both fighting modes are added during the Monk's turn; the flurry of blows attack penalty lasts for the round and thus also persists for AoOs before the Monk's next turn.

urnewemperor
2011-10-22, 08:09 PM
Q23
How exactly would lycanthropy work in a campaign? The Player's Handbook isn't very helpful. Would the infected player attack party members?

Claudius Maximus
2011-10-22, 08:55 PM
A 23

Information about lycanthropy can be found in the Monster Manual, or right here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/lycanthrope.htm). Whether the lycanthrope attacks the party is probably mostly a matter of alignment. The DM would be the ultimate arbiter of uncontrolled lycanthrope behavior.

taluntain
2011-10-23, 01:16 AM
[B]Q1.[B] is there a way i can get the three different ki strike abilities(or atleast one) without taking monk classes?

KillianHawkeye
2011-10-23, 06:59 AM
[B]Q1.[B] is there a way i can get the three different ki strike abilities(or atleast one) without taking monk classes?

This should be Q 24.

Dazed&Confused
2011-10-23, 10:38 AM
Q25
How does casting work with flight maneuvaribility? Do I need to be able to hover?

Curmudgeon
2011-10-23, 01:29 PM
A 25

There is no requirement that you be able to hover to cast a spell while flying. However, you must satisfy the standard Concentration check requirement for vigorous (or violent) motion, any effect of wind, & c. Your DM will add all the relevant modifiers to determine the required DC to avoid losing the spell.

Drazik
2011-10-23, 03:35 PM
Q 26
if a have a base attack bonus of +6 from multiclassing (3 fighter 3 barbarian, lets say) do i get two attacks on a full round attack because my base attack bonus is +6, or do i not because each is only +3?

drakir_nosslin
2011-10-23, 03:37 PM
Q 26
if a have a base attack bonus of +6 from multiclassing (3 fighter 3 barbarian, lets say) do i get two attacks on a full round attack because my base attack bonus is +6, or do i not because each is only +3?

A 26: You do get 2 attacks. Whenever your BAB reaches +6 you gain another attack at +1, regardless if you've multiclassed or not.

HeadlessMermaid
2011-10-23, 05:48 PM
Q 27
If you have an inherent bonus to a physical stat, does it apply when you polymorph or shapechange?

deuxhero
2011-10-23, 07:33 PM
q28

Does the healing "resistance" of a Warforged and Doomlord (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20040706a&page=3) stack?

McToomin
2011-10-23, 07:42 PM
Q19
I'm statting some animals; what size would an animal have to be to carry around 3 to 4 medium characters? Huge? Bigger than that? I've looked everywhere and can't find anything on it.

I just saw the "no homebrew rules questions" rule in the first post. However, this is still relevant info. anyway, since what if my party and I want to travel together on one mount? If anyone could help me, that would be amazing.

ShippoWildheart
2011-10-23, 10:47 PM
Q29 Is there a limit to how many weapon enchantments can be place on one weapon? If not, what's a reasonable number of weapon enchantments to cap on a weapon before a DM starts throwing his books and dice at you?

Douglas
2011-10-23, 11:34 PM
A29

A non-epic weapon cannot have a combined total of enhancement bonus and special ability costs higher than +10. A +1 Keen Holy Flaming Frost Ghost Touch weapon of Speed is a valid non-epic weapon. It would cost 200,000 gp, as appropriate for the +10-equivalent it is, but it would be valid. Adding another +1 ability to it, such as Defending, or increasing the enhancement bonus to +2, would tip it over the epic threshold into +11, which would require an epic level crafter to make and add a x10 cost multiplier - boosting the price to 2,420,000 gp, far beyond the budget of even a level 20 character.

The actual enhancement bonus can't be higher than +5 without being epic, so a +6 weapon would require an epic crafter and would cost 720,000.

Curmudgeon
2011-10-23, 11:35 PM
A 29

No, there is no limit to the number of weapon enhancements (the correct term, not "enchantments", which is instead one of the eight schools of D&D magic). However, there are limits for cost purposes. The Magic Weapons (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm) rules specify the pre-Epic limits (no more than +5 numerical enhancement, and no more than +10 total cost of enhancements, are the basics). The Epic Magic Items (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/magicItems/basics.htm) rules specify how the costs change (increasing by a factor of 10) when you have any increase past the pre-Epic limits.

The limit to enhancements in-game will be determined by the costs required (money and time) to craft such items.

A 27 Yes.

Inherent bonuses are not affected by Polymorph, so they apply as usual.

A 28 No.

Each specification says something like "heal only half the normal amount of damage". This is not the same as saying "halve the amount of damage healed". The actual rules are relative to the normal amount of damage healed by a spell or effect, and always set the total actually healed to half that amount. Thus there is no stacking; the two rules are redundant.

ShippoWildheart
2011-10-24, 01:11 AM
Q30 So a weapon of Defending (for example) is calculated as a +1 weapon, but a Flaming Sword of Defending is calculated as a +2 weapon (8k gold), and a +2 Flaming Sword of Defending is calculated as a +3 weapon? (18k gold)?

KillianHawkeye
2011-10-24, 02:54 AM
A 30 No.

The weapon must at least have a +1 enhancement bonus before it can gain any special abilities.

Flaming and Defending are both +1 abilities, so having either one means the weapon is priced as a +2 weapon minimum (8,000 gp). A +2 Flaming Defending Longsword is effectively a +4 weapon and costs 32,315 gp.

drakir_nosslin
2011-10-24, 05:25 AM
Q31 Are there any items or abilities that allows one to bypass/ignore immunity to mind-affecting effects and the effects of mind blank?

The Underlord
2011-10-24, 07:55 AM
Q 3 If a weapon entry says it can make a ranged trip attack, does it have a ranged limitation on how far you can trip, and how do ranged trip attacks differ from normal trip attacks?

I havent gotten an answer forr this

Q 32 Can a warshaper increase the size of natural attacks he has created?

Zaq
2011-10-24, 12:22 PM
Q31 Are there any items or abilities that allows one to bypass/ignore immunity to mind-affecting effects and the effects of mind blank?

A 31
There are specific effects that ignore mind blank (metafaculty (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/metafaculty.htm) is the big one), but I don't know of anything that gives a blanket ability to pierce it.

There is an adaptation of the Nightmare Spinner class (the adaptation is on pg. 77 of Complete Mage) that suggests an ability to affect normally immune creatures with charm or dominate spells, but that's just a suggested adaptation, not hard rules.

Drazik
2011-10-24, 02:22 PM
Q33

if i have DR 1/cold iron does that mean i take one less damage from cold iron, or does it mean that i take 1 less damage from everything but col iron?

Q34

with Damage resistance, can you lower the damage of an attack to less than 1?

Keld Denar
2011-10-24, 02:34 PM
A 32

Yes. It takes a move action for each, though, and only applies once. If you try to apply it a second time, its an increase from the same source and doesn't stack.

A 33

Everything but. The part after the / is your vulnerability. If you have DR X/Magic, any magic weapon will pierce it. If you have DR X/Good, any good aligned weapon will pierce it. If you have DR X/Slashing, any slashing weapon will pierce it. If there is an OR statement, you need one or the other (many devils have DR X/Good or Silver), while an AND requires both (high level devils like Pit Fiends and Cornuguns have DR X/Good and Silver).

A 34

Yes. It should also be noted that negating all of the damage from an attack also means that any injury poison delivered by that attack fails to be delivered. EI: If a wyvern stung you for 10 points of damage, and you negate all 10 of it with your DR, you wouldn't have to make the save vs the wyvern's poison since wyvern poison is an Injury poison.

Zonugal
2011-10-24, 06:30 PM
Question 35

Can a character be a part of multiple affiliations (as written in books like the Player's Handbook 2 & Complete Champion)?

Curmudgeon
2011-10-24, 06:49 PM
A 35 Yes.

It's easy to have multiple affiliations, such as a racial affiliation and a social affiliation. Your DM may set limits of combining affiliations that they see as conflicting, of course.

hushblade
2011-10-24, 07:36 PM
36: Are there any ways to play a huge race? stacking templates or anything?

No brains
2011-10-24, 09:42 PM
Q. 37
If a creature has a fly speed that is not dependent on mechanical movement like wings, can it move at that speed when passing through water?

Example: A Beholder is described as being naturally buoyant. Something buoyant in air would also be buoyant in water because air is usually buoyant in water.

Further, assuming the creature could impart enough force to do so, could this creature 'fly' though sand as if it were burrowing?

Curmudgeon
2011-10-25, 02:19 AM
A 36 No.

A fly (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/glossary&term=Glossary_dnd_fly&alpha=F+) speed pertains only to moving through air. You need a swim (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/glossary&term=Glossary_dnd_swim&alpha=S) speed to move through water, and a burrow (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/glossary&term=Glossary_dnd_burrow&alpha=B) speed to move through sand.

drakir_nosslin
2011-10-25, 02:35 AM
36: Are there any ways to play a huge race? stacking templates or anything?

A36: Yes, savage species contain the monster classes Treant and Atach, both which grow to Huge size at lvl 19. Note that these classes are normally sub-par to standard PC classes.

ILM
2011-10-25, 06:22 AM
Q38: The SRD states here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/movement.htm) that you can hover with Good maneuverability. The SRD states here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsterFeats.htm#hover) that you need Perfect maneuverability to hover. Is that a standard case of text-trumps-table, or am I missing some further clarification from somewhere?

The Underlord
2011-10-25, 07:50 AM
Q39 Can a warblade regain maneuver by a swift action followed by a full-attack action?

Bakkan
2011-10-25, 07:58 AM
A39 Yes The requirement is to spend a swift action and then a standard action doing nothing or a swift action followed by a melee attack. The first attack is a full attack qualifies for this second case.

Cog
2011-10-25, 08:26 AM
A 38
The former information comes from the DMG, in a section detailing movement, and is the primary rules source for movement, thus trumping a brief reference in a Monster Manual feat. (For clarity: good maneuverability allows one to hover.)

Zonugal
2011-10-25, 01:53 PM
Question 40

I am a little confused regarding the apprentice feat in the Dungeon Master's Guide 2. Now it says it provides two skill points to put into the two new class skills rewarded by each individual apprentice feat but here are my questions:

1.) Is that skill point, at first level, quadrupled into four skill points?

2.) Does one receive those two free skill points each new level as to continue to invest in the two new class skills rewarded by each individual apprentice feat?

JaronK
2011-10-25, 03:56 PM
Question 40

I am a little confused regarding the apprentice feat in the Dungeon Master's Guide 2. Now it says it provides two skill points to put into the two new class skills rewarded by each individual apprentice feat but here are my questions:

1.) Is that skill point, at first level, quadrupled into four skill points?

2.) Does one receive those two free skill points each new level as to continue to invest in the two new class skills rewarded by each individual apprentice feat?

Nope, and nope. It just gives you two skill points. Not so impressive there, but new class skills alone can be quite useful.

JaronK

The Underlord
2011-10-25, 07:18 PM
Q 41 Does a warforged with the adamantine body feat who is not profiecnt with heay armor takes non-profienct penalies from his own armor?

deuxhero
2011-10-25, 07:55 PM
q42

A creature somehow becomes both [fire] and [cold], how do the immunities/vulnerabilities work?

q43

A creature is vulnerable (via type) to an element and has acquired resistance to it. Does

a: The resistance get subtracted from the multiplyed damage
or
B: The resistance goes first, then any remaining damage is multipled.

Lateral
2011-10-25, 08:04 PM
A 42

He's inmune to both. Nice, how that works out.

Curmudgeon
2011-10-25, 08:31 PM
A 43 B.

The effect is applied in the order more beneficial to the "controller" of the effect. The resistance and vulnerability are both properties of the defender, who would suffer less total damage when applying the resistance before the vulnerability (+50%) calculation.

This is actually the same operation as for a creature who has both immunity and vulnerability; they would reduce the energy damage to 0 (from immunity) before incurring 50% of that (from vulnerability). They're still vulnerable, but an extra 50% of no damage renders that moot.

Lateral
2011-10-25, 08:40 PM
This is actually the same operation as for a creature who has both immunity and vulnerability; they would reduce the energy damage to 0 (from immunity) before incurring 50% of that (from vulnerability). They're still vulnerable, but an extra 50% of no damage renders that moot.

Not that it matters either way; if you were to take an extra 50% damage and then reduce that to zero, you'd still have zero damage.

Ditto
2011-10-25, 09:03 PM
Q44

Do mindless creatures automatically fail to disbelieve illusions (assuming they are reliant on sight)?
-Even if they see evidence of the illusion? (An elf walks through the illusory wall. Can they follow? It still looks like a wall...)
-Even if they interact with the illusion? (Someone shoves them through an illusory wall. Can they choose to pass through it again? It looks like a wall...)

44b
If they automatically fail to disbelieve illusions, do they automatically fail the disbelieve save vs Shadow Evocation as well?

Cruiser1
2011-10-25, 09:08 PM
Q45: Does Boccob grant the Planning domain? If so, what sourcebook updates this core deity to gain a later introduced domain?

Runestar
2011-10-25, 09:55 PM
Q 41 Does a warforged with the adamantine body feat who is not profiecnt with heay armor takes non-profienct penalies from his own armor?

A41: No, the feat is not actually armour, it is merely treated as such for purposes of interacting with abilities such as a barbarian's fast movement. You will still take the armour check penalties on the respective skills, but no other penalties.

Q45: Does Boccob grant the Planning domain? If so, what sourcebook updates this core deity to gain a later introduced domain?

A45: Complete warrior, page 115, 146. It recommends giving him the planning domain to make him more appropriate for fighter-oriented campaigns.

Curmudgeon
2011-10-25, 10:05 PM
Not that it matters either way; if you were to take an extra 50% damage and then reduce that to zero, you'd still have zero damage.
The problem is that you have immunity to the energy damage, not immunity to vulnerability. Vulnerability to energy (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/glossary&term=Glossary_dnd_vulnerabilitytoenergy&alpha=V) specifies that you take "half again as much (+50%) damage as normal from the effect, regardless of whether a saving throw is allowed, or if the save is a success or failure." That leaves some DM interpretation gotchas. For instance, that definition doesn't state categorically that the +50% damage is of the same type. Also immunity can be interpreted as auto-succeeding on a saving throw, leaving room for that "regardless" clause to kick in.

Since you can easily bypass this area of rules ambiguity, you should. :smallwink:

A 44 No.
Saving Throws and Illusions (Disbelief)

Creatures encountering an illusion usually do not receive saving throws to recognize it as illusory until they study it carefully or interact with it in some fashion. A mindless creature would not study an illusion carefully, but there's no exception for the interaction rule: that automatically triggers a disbelief saving throw.

"Mindless" D&D creatures actually have some reasoning capability; that's required for them to move, attack, and follow simple orders. If they can detect a creature and determine that they're an attack target, they can also detect an illusion and disbelieve it.

Here's what "mindless" entails:
Mindless: No Intelligence score, and immunity to all mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects). Mindless [creatures] gain no skill points or feats.

ShippoWildheart
2011-10-26, 01:14 AM
Q45 Is it possible to use regular ToB Strikes on a charge attack, other than Strikes that explicitly state it is part of a charge?

Q46 With Improved Trip, when you do trip an opponent are you only allowed regular attacks, or are ToB Maneuvers allowable as well?

Zaq
2011-10-26, 01:30 AM
Q45 Is it possible to use regular ToB Strikes on a charge attack, other than Strikes that explicitly state it is part of a charge?

Q46 With Improved Trip, when you do trip an opponent are you only allowed regular attacks, or are ToB Maneuvers allowable as well?

A 45 No. A strike generally takes a standard action, and you don't get a standard action as part of a charge.

A 46 As above, so below. A standard action can be used to make an attack, but all attacks are not standard actions.

deuxhero
2011-10-26, 08:08 AM
q47

What exactly is a "melee attack" for a Warmind's Sweep Strike? Do Strike maneuvers count?

JKTrickster
2011-10-26, 10:03 AM
Q48.

When one becomes an Outsider (for example via the Monk capstone) does that retroactively affect his BaB, HD, skills, etc? Or only from that point on? Or even at all?

Zherog
2011-10-26, 10:18 AM
A 48

Unless told otherwise, class levels are unaffected by a creature's type. Whenever a creature takes a level in a class his BAB, saves, and skill points are determined by the class, not by the class not by type (again, unless specifically told otherwise, such as with some templates).

ILM
2011-10-26, 10:18 AM
A48: No. The Monk's Perfect Self is explicit in that you're "treated as an outsider for the purpose of spells and magical effects." It wouldn't affect your saves/BAB/skills at all.

As for the others (such as the Elemental Savant's capstone): it says here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/improvingMonsters.htm) that "if a creature acquires a character class, it improves according to its class, not its type." So here too, BAB/saves/etc wouldn't be affected.

edit: and as usual whenever I answer one of those, I get swordsaged :smallannoyed:

Curmudgeon
2011-10-26, 11:08 AM
A 47
melee

Melee combat consists of physical blows exchanged by opponents close enough to threaten one another's space, as opposed to ranged combat. If you're directly wielding a weapon used to hit your opponent, or touching them, that's melee. If you don't come into direct contact with them, it's not.

Many, but not all, martial strikes use melee attacks.

drakir_nosslin
2011-10-26, 03:41 PM
Q49

If a creature with the shade template (FRCS) uses its control light ability in darkness to lower the light surrounding it by 100% and then moves out into and area that normally would be lit up will control light continue to work?

The ability normally only works in darkness, so what happens when you're in a darkness that's created by an ability that only works in darkness? Perpetual darkness machine?

Howler Dagger
2011-10-26, 05:35 PM
Q50 What are the domains and favored weapon of Daragor?

Randomguy
2011-10-26, 05:48 PM
Q51 Other than maximize and empower spell, do metamagic feats that make spells more powerful follow the example of stacking maximize and empower spell and all apply to the spells base damage (So a twinned split ray of stupidity is 3 rays, one extra from twin spell and one extra from split ray) or do they apply in the most favourable order? (So a twinned split ray of stupidity would be 4 rays, since the split ray of stupidity is twinned)

Curmudgeon
2011-10-26, 05:59 PM
A 49 No.
Shades have an affinity for shadow, and their capabilities are linked to the light conditions around them. They gain powerful abilities any time they are within shadowy or darkness, but in bright light they are all but ordinary mortals.
Special Qualities: The shade gains the following special qualities in darkness:
Control Light (Sp) ... Shades can only decrease the light level when the ambient condition is already shadowy illumination; they have no such ability in areas that are brightly lit.

If an area is reduced to shadowy illumination by some other effect, Control Light can make further adjustments. If that other effect ends and the ambient light level is bright, Control Light will immediately cease to operate.

Dire Reverend
2011-10-26, 09:39 PM
Q52
Are there any undead templates that can be applied to Incorporeal Fey?

Ditto
2011-10-26, 10:30 PM
Q53

Does a creature attacking someone who is affected by Viscid Glob (SpC) become stuck from attacking with a melee weapon? (Or does the weapon become stuck on a failed save, with the option to let go of the weapon?)

Or are characters only stuck if they themselves touch the stuck-someone, like when trying to pull them out as in the spell entry's example?

JKTrickster
2011-10-26, 10:35 PM
Q54. How long does it take to buyoff 4 levels of LA? And how far behind in XP does it put me?

Crocodactyl
2011-10-27, 04:30 AM
Q55 Do Bloodline Levels required for Bloodline advancement (Unearthed Arcana) add to ECL, or do they just cost an amount of experiance points equivalent to a level and then let you progress as normal?

Q56 Firstly, would the epic feat Wield Oversized Weapon, from Complete Warrior, allow a character to treat a large two handed weapon as a mediom one handed weapon? The description sounds like it would, but the given examples don't match my interpretation. Secondly, if it does let you treat a two handed weapon as a one handed weapon, could a character with Uncanny Blow (from the Exotic Weapon Master PrC, Complete Warrior) use it with a normally two handed weapon like a greatsword or spiked chain?

Hazzardevil
2011-10-27, 04:37 AM
A54
You would lower the LA at levels (Not including LA or RHD) 12, 15, 18 and 21.
You would have to pay in total 472,000 xp.
Q55
Luminous Armour makes you lose some strength for a while when you cast it. Do you still lose this strength if you use a wand?

FlyingScanian
2011-10-27, 05:59 AM
Q58
Which easy methods exist for identifying magic items, such as swords, armour, wands etc?

KillianHawkeye
2011-10-27, 07:52 AM
A 58

The identify (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/identify.htm) spell is the standard for identifying magic items.

Douglas
2011-10-27, 08:34 AM
Q55 Do Bloodline Levels required for Bloodline advancement (Unearthed Arcana) add to ECL, or do they just cost an amount of experiance points equivalent to a level and then let you progress as normal?
This is unclear from the text. I think the intent was for it to count towards ECL as if you had a slowly increasing level adjustment, but it could be read either way.

Q56 Firstly, would the epic feat Wield Oversized Weapon, from Complete Warrior, allow a character to treat a large two handed weapon as a mediom one handed weapon? The description sounds like it would, but the given examples don't match my interpretation. Secondly, if it does let you treat a two handed weapon as a one handed weapon, could a character with Uncanny Blow (from the Exotic Weapon Master PrC, Complete Warrior) use it with a normally two handed weapon like a greatsword or spiked chain?
The examples and the general statement conflict with each other. I think the general guideline is that the examples would lose, but the fact that they are part of the feat's own full text makes me uncertain what the official RAW is. You'll have to ask your DM.

For my opinion, considering this is an upgrade of Monkey Grip, and that going with the examples would make it do no more than negate a -2 penalty on attack rolls, I'd go with your interpretation - this feat would allow wielding an Ogre's Large Greatclub as a medium one-handed weapon.

A54
You would lower the LA at levels (Not including LA or RHD) 12, 15, 18 and 21.
You would have to pay in total 472,000 xp.
This is incorrect. The buyoff points are levels 12, 21, 27, and 30. Assuming no racial hit dice, each buyoff would cost 15000, 23000, 28000, and 30000 xp, for a total buyoff cost of 96000 xp.

Q55
Luminous Armour makes you lose some strength for a while when you cast it. Do you still lose this strength if you use a wand?
As per the final paragraph on page 83 of the Book of Exalted Deeds, yes you do. Note, btw, that the sacrifice occurs at the end of the spell, not when you cast it.

Q58
Which easy methods exist for identifying magic items, such as swords, armour, wands etc?
The Identify spell is the standard, but expensive with a 100 gp material component.

Magic Item Compendium added the ability to identify items with Detect Magic and a high spellcraft check - beating the spellcraft DC for identifying the item's school by 10 allows full identification.

At high levels, the spell Analyze Dweomer duplicates Identify on several items in rapid succession, much faster, and with a reusable focus instead of expended material component.

The Artificer's Monocle item from Magic Item Compendium allows turning Detect Magic into Identify without a check. It pays for itself purely in terms of material component costs saved compared to casting Identify after 15 uses.

ThatLovin'Elan
2011-10-27, 09:42 AM
Q59

Regarding Travel Devotion (http://dnd.savannahsoft.eu/feat-2966-travel-devotion.html): You can activate the feat (as a swift action) to move up to your speed as a swift action each round. The first round that you activate this feat, do you gain the benefit of it (moving up to your speed immediately), or do you activate it the first round, and on each subsequent round, have the option to spend a swift action to move at your speed?

I know that's a little oddly worded, so ask if you're not sure what my question is.

Isenvrill
2011-10-27, 09:49 AM
A59
Since you are only allowed one swift action a turn, you can only make use of it on subsequent rounds. If you gain an additional swift action somehow, then you can both activate and use the ability. You are essentially activating an ability to become capable of using an ability.

crouchingmoose
2011-10-27, 09:50 AM
Q60: what were the rules again for level 1 starting equipment in terms of free items ( ie clothes and other essentials) and isnt 1 nonmagical weapon of your profcency included as free starting equipment?

Zherog
2011-10-27, 10:02 AM
A 60

Assume a character owns at least one outfit of normal clothes. Pick any one of the following clothing outfits: artisan’s outfit, entertainer’s outfit, explorer’s outfit, monk’s outfit, peasant’s outfit, scholar’s outfit, or traveler’s outfit.

Standard rules do not grant a weapon. However, FR does, in some cases, grant a free masterwork weapon. As I recall, it's dependent upon your starting area and the class you pick.

Keld Denar
2011-10-27, 10:04 AM
A 60

The only free items you get are your starting clothes, and if you are a wizard, your spellbook. No weapons, no armor, no nothing. You have to buy all of that out of your starting gold.

Elric VIII
2011-10-27, 03:00 PM
Q 61

Are there any weapon enhancements that add just +attack and not +damage (i.e. - the opposite of Collision from MIC)?

Turkagent
2011-10-27, 03:13 PM
Q 62

Core rulebook 3.5 D&D: Monk takes TWF. RAW: If uses only fists do both fists take a negative two penalty according to TWF feat guidelines or does the main hand only take a penalty since the rulebooks state that the Monk's unarmed attack does not take the off-hand penalty?

No brains
2011-10-27, 03:45 PM
Q 62 supplemental

Rather, because a monk's unarmed strike is never off-handed, is it possible by RAW for a monk to TWF with two unarmed strikes? What about an unarmed strike and a weapon?

Keld Denar
2011-10-27, 03:53 PM
A 62

This is a pretty widely discussed topic, and there is no conclusive proof that either reading is correct. I'd suggest searching the archive for some of the previous arguements, or simply start a new thread to discuss it. This thread is too narrow in scope to adequately answer it.

Sorry.

Thread 1 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171786)
Thread 2 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155646)
Thread 3 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168782)
Thread 4 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=178790)
Found more:
Thread 5 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=208899)
Thread 6 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209828)

Douglas
2011-10-27, 04:00 PM
Q 61

Are there any weapon enhancements that add just +attack and not +damage (i.e. - the opposite of Collision from MIC)?
The Martial Discipline weapon property from Tome of Battle can do this (up to +3 attack for a +1 property), but you need to be a martial adept for it to really work.

JaronK
2011-10-27, 04:45 PM
Q 62 supplemental

Rather, because a monk's unarmed strike is never off-handed, is it possible by RAW for a monk to TWF with two unarmed strikes? What about an unarmed strike and a weapon?

Yes, see the 3.5 FAQ.

JaronK

Randomguy
2011-10-27, 06:31 PM
Q63 The geomancer PrC says that it lets you mix any paramaters from any spellcasting classes when casting a spell, but not when preparing it. Does that mean a druid/wizard that enters the class still needs 19 int and 19 wisdom to prepare the highest level druid and wizard spells? Does geomancer let you choose to use your highest caster level when casting a spell from any class? So a ranger/wizard/geomancer could choose to use his wizard caster level when casting a ranger spell, for example?

KillianHawkeye
2011-10-27, 08:29 PM
A 64 Not really.

It's based on your character level, and this character would still be 19th level.

Epic characters—those whose character level is 21st or higher—are handled slightly differently from nonepic characters.
His ECL will become 27, so he will be counted as a 27th level character for the purposes of calculating experience only. In all other ways, he is still 19th level.

Tvtyrant
2011-10-27, 08:37 PM
Q65

Is there a rule preventing you from having both an animal companion and a familiar?

deuxhero
2011-10-27, 08:54 PM
A65

No, in-fact one prc (Arcane Hierophant IIRC) combines the two.

Q66
What book is Mage Slayer+Pierce Magical Concealment from?

Ditto
2011-10-27, 09:56 PM
A66

They are both found in Complete Arcane. (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=mage+slayer+feat)

deuxhero
2011-10-27, 10:40 PM
Thanks

Q67
Is a gauntlet part of armor ("The suit includes gauntlets.") for sundering?

Ditto
2011-10-27, 10:51 PM
A67

If you're asking whether you can sunder a set of full-plate armor and the gauntlets that come with it - they should be considered separately. Gauntlets are their own item, which you may choose to wear or not to wear when they are included in a suit of armor. They are a weapon, in point of fact, so they are eligible to be sundered (unlike the armor itself).

You can’t sunder armor worn by another character.

It's just like getting a free knife with your leather jacket. Everyone loves giveaways!

deuxhero
2011-10-27, 10:58 PM
I was asking if you could sunder it as a weapon

Thanks.

A_S
2011-10-28, 10:53 AM
Q68

Can a sorcerer with Heighten Spell, Improved Counterspell, and one spell of each school counter any spell of 8th level or lower by heightening a spell to 9th and using that as a counterspell?

Q69

When you use Divine Defiance, it says, "You must have the relevant spell prepared as normal (or dispel magic), and you must make a Spellcraft check to identify the target's spell if applicable." Does this mean you lose the spell slot as normal, or do you only lose the turn attempt?

Q70

I know the Instant Metamagic + Heighten Spell = infinite spell level cheese was errata'd, but do other metamagic lowering effects (like Improved Metamagic) still work with Heighten Spell (like, could an Incantatrix cast a spell heightened to 9th level with an 8th level slot)?

Q71

If yes to the above, does this let you Heighten spells above level 9?

-----

(In case you missed it, I'm working on a counterspell build...also, I thought I posted this already, but I think the forum ate it.)

Keld Denar
2011-10-28, 11:05 AM
A 68

You'd need Rapid Metamagic. A saucerer applying metamagic spontaneously to a spell increases the casting time of that spell to a full round action. You can't ready a full round action, only a standard action or less. But if you had it, then yes.

A 69

Yes, you lose the spell. Divine Defiance works exactly like counterspelling, except in that it doesn't require you to ready an action. The [Divine] part of it requires a TU attempt, but you still have to expend your spell as normal. Don't forget about the Divine CL you need in order to qualify for Divine Defiance!

A 70

Yes. You can Heighten a spell, and then reduce that Heighten cost with MM reducers like Arcane Thesis or Improved Metamagic.

A 71

Nowhere written is there a cap on spell level. If you have slots high enough (or enough reducers), you can Heighten a spell to any level (or effective level).

Douglas
2011-10-28, 11:40 AM
A71 correction

The Heighten Spell feat itself states a maximum of 9th level. Going higher than that requires other sources of "virtual" spell levels or the epic Improved Heighten Spell feat.

A_S
2011-10-28, 11:51 AM
A 69

Yes, you lose the spell. Divine Defiance works exactly like counterspelling, except in that it doesn't require you to ready an action. The [Divine] part of it requires a TU attempt, but you still have to expend your spell as normal. Don't forget about the Divine CL you need in order to qualify for Divine Defiance!

Q72

Ur-Priest 2/Mystic Theurge 1 satisfies that requirement, right? It doesn't specifically need to be three levels in a single divine casting class?

(Thanks, guys!)

Keld Denar
2011-10-28, 12:08 PM
A 72

Yea, but I don't think you'd even need that many. Your Ur-Priest CL is equal to Ur-Priest levels + 1/2 of all arcane CLs you had prior to taking Ur-Priest. That meanst hat you could qualify at Ur-Priest1 if you had at least 4 levels of some other caster.

Ditto
2011-10-28, 12:14 PM
A67

I was asking if you could sunder it as a weapon
Yes, gauntlets are weapons, so sunder away. Like I said, free knife with you jacket - free gauntlet with your armor.

A_S
2011-10-28, 12:24 PM
A 72

Yea, but I don't think you'd even need that many. Your Ur-Priest CL is equal to Ur-Priest levels + 1/2 of all arcane CLs you had prior to taking Ur-Priest. That meanst hat you could qualify at Ur-Priest1 if you had at least 4 levels of some other caster.

Q72a

You sure? I thought, from the FAQ:

Does a 1st-level wizard/4th-level rogue with Practiced
Spellcaster qualify for a prestige class that requires
“Spellcaster level 5th”?

No. This prestige class requirement doesn’t refer to your
caster level (a value which can be modified by many feats,
class features, and even temporary effects) but to your actual
level in a spellcasting class. (If it helps, you can think of this
requirement as “Spellcaster, 5th level.”
The same applies for characters whose caster level is less
than their class level. A 5th-level paladin meets the “Spellcaster
level 5th) requirement, even though her actual caster level is
only 2nd.

...meant you couldn't get around the three level requirement with effective caster level boosts. Then again, it does say "prestige class requirement."

AugustNights
2011-10-28, 02:51 PM
Q 73

Countering Spells (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/castingSpells.htm#counterspells)
If a character has selected an opponent as the target of their counterspell, and that opponent by some means casts more than 1 spell on their turn, can the character counter both spells or just one?

To use a counterspell, you must select an opponent as the target of the counterspell. You do this by choosing the ready action. In doing so, you elect to wait to complete your action until your opponent tries to cast a spell.

Red Text: Leads me to believe that countering a spell isn't a readied action, but targeting the foe is the readied action, which may allow for multiple counterings of spells.

Blue Text: Singular. Leads me to believe just 1 such spell could be countered.

Further the text listed under Ready (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialInitiativeActions.htm#ready) leads me further to believe that only 1 such spell can be countered, but I am uncertain.

Lateral
2011-10-28, 11:22 PM
Q 74

Does the Share Soulmeld feat (MoI) allow you to share with more than one companion/familiar/etc.?

Crocodactyl
2011-10-29, 07:41 AM
Q 75
If player takes a feat such as nymph's kiss at first level, is the extra skill point it gives quadrupled?

Runestar
2011-10-29, 08:12 AM
Q 75
If player takes a feat such as nymph's kiss at first level, is the extra skill point it gives quadrupled?

Rules are silent on this, unfortunately. Since there is no mention, I would assume the bonus skill point at 1st lv is not quadrupled. See if you can bribe your DM into allowing it? :smalltongue:

Murdim
2011-10-29, 01:21 PM
Q 75

A 75 Addendum

The general rule seems to be that you have to spend your skill points before choosing your feats. It makes sense, if only because skill point repartition tends to have a much bigger impact on feat selection (i.e prerequisites) than the opposite.

As a result, the bonus skill point from Nymph's kiss should come after you spent your first-level skill points. I don't think it should be quadrupled, for the same reason the points from Open-minded are not quadrupled : they come independently from the "normal" skill points.

Besides, even the human racial trait is an independant bonus : it explicitly states that the character gets 4 skill points at first level, and it can't be reduced by an Intelligence penalty (a human fighter with an Int of 6 still gets 2 SP/lvl). If extra skill points from a racial trait are applied separately from the ones gained from the class, then those gained from a feat certainly should as well.

Since we're at it...

Q 76

When you gain a level, in which order do you gain feats? Do you take the class-related bonus feats first, and then the level-related standard feats? What about the human bonus feat? And the VoP bonus exalted feats?

Practical situations :

_ Dreezet the ranger is in the process of leveling-up to his third level. He will get Endurance as a bonus feat. Can he select Steadfast Determination as his third-level feat?

_ Obo-win the paladin 1/psychic warrior 5 has selected Earth Sense as his sixth-level feat so that he could take Earth Power as his bonus psionic feat. Is he still in harmony with the rules of the Universe?

A_S
2011-10-29, 01:59 PM
A 75 Addendum

The general rule seems to be that you have to spend your skill points before choosing your feats. It makes sense, if only because skill point repartition tends to have a much bigger impact on feat selection (i.e prerequisites) than the opposite.

As a result, the bonus skill point from Nymph's kiss should come after you spent your first-level skill points. I don't think it should be quadrupled, for the same reason the points from Open-minded are not quadrupled : they come independently from the "normal" skill points.

Q77

Does that mean that, RAW, a human with Able Learner must pay 2/point for cross class skills at first level?

Murdim
2011-10-29, 03:21 PM
Q77

Does that mean that, RAW, a human with Able Learner must pay 2/point for cross class skills at first level?

A77

If we follow the logic that lets people get a feat the same level they meet its skill prerequisites, then I guess so. Or maybe you can learn feats and skills in no particular order. I'm not sure I like all the implications of it - someone, somewhere will find a way to abuse it - but that's always a possibility.

AFAIK, there's at least one precedent that leveling is supposed to be a step-by-step process even when the rules don't explicitly state so : class selection comes before feat selection, meaning you can't take a feat and a prestige class that has this feat as a prerequisite at the same level. But really, there are no actual official ruling that I know of on the question of skills and feats - hence the "seems", "don't think", "should" and so forth in my previous message. I was just adding my two cents to Runestar's guess.

I think the argument based on the very similar human racial trait is the stronger one, anyway. Even something that clearly comes into play before first-level skill point placement works somewhat independently from the "normal" skill points and has to precise that the character gets 4 points instead of one at first level.

Warclam
2011-10-29, 04:57 PM
Q 78

What's the weapon property that makes the wielder automatically proficient, and what book is it in?

Murdim
2011-10-29, 05:21 PM
A 78

It's the Skillful weapon property, from Complete Arcane.

Randomguy
2011-10-29, 05:29 PM
Q51 Other than maximize and empower spell, do metamagic feats that make spells more powerful follow the example of stacking maximize and empower spell and all apply to the spells base damage (So a twinned split ray of stupidity is 3 rays, one extra from twin spell and one extra from split ray) or do they apply in the most favourable order? (So a twinned split ray of stupidity would be 4 rays, since the split ray of stupidity is twinned)

Q63 The geomancer PrC says that it lets you mix any paramaters from any spellcasting classes when casting a spell, but not when preparing it. Does that mean a druid/wizard that enters the class still needs 19 int and 19 wisdom to prepare the highest level druid and wizard spells? Does geomancer let you choose to use your highest caster level when casting a spell from any class? So a ranger/wizard/geomancer could choose to use his wizard caster level when casting a ranger spell, for example?

Reposting on new page.

Runestar
2011-10-29, 09:13 PM

A51: Empower+Maximize appear to the exception to the norm. For other combinations of metamagic feats, you are allowed to apply them in the order which would be most beneficial to you.

So for instance, a twinned, maximized fireball deals 60 damage twice (as clarified in the FAQ). Twin+split ray seems a little more messy, but assuming you apply split ray first, then twin, this would let you create a split'ed ray effect twice. :smallsmile: In your case, you would get 4 rays, but the later 2 have to follow the same targets as the first 2.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2011-10-29, 10:22 PM
Q 79

If someone has invisibility and mirror image on them and is caught in a glitterdust do the images show up?

Dazed&Confused
2011-10-30, 01:05 AM
Q80
Say my initiative roll result is the same as a monster I'll call "Monster X", but I act first because I've got a higher dex; if later in the combat my Dexterity gets drained by 2 points and my initiative goes down by 1 because of that, does it change the order of the combat, making the "Monster X" act before me in the next round? Or is the initiative roll a one-time-one-result-until-it's-over thing?

Elric VIII
2011-10-30, 02:25 AM
A 80
Initiative is set at the beginning of combat. Only things like delaying, White Raven's Tactics, and certain spells can affect initiative during an ongoing combat.

Do Wish and Miracle allow you to apply metamagic effects to spells (assuming the adjusted level does not exceed the level limit of the spell)?

Q 82
The spell Quick March says that it does not affect a creature's fly, swim, etc speed; it only affects its land speed. Does this only apply to natural or set fly/swim speeds (for instance, if your fly speed is based on your land speed is it changed)?

Elfinor
2011-10-30, 07:10 AM
Q 83
Other than Flyby Attack, is there a method of obtaining a 'Spring Attack' (move, attack then move again in one turn. AOO negation unnecessary) using Warblade Standard Action maneuvers?

Zombimode
2011-10-30, 10:50 AM
Q 84

Regarding Ability Focus and Lurks: can I take Ability Focus (Lurk Augment) or do I have to single out individual Lurk Augments like Stunning Attack?

Timeless Error
2011-10-30, 12:12 PM
Q85: Can you take a "theurge" prestige class (that advances two types of casting) and advance it on one side of another theurge class? For example, if you take levels in Cerebromancer (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/cerebremancer.htm), is it possible to advance Psychic Theurge (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040925b) on the manifesting side of the class (thus advancing both divine casting and manifesting on one side, and arcane spellcasting on the other)?

KillianHawkeye
2011-10-30, 12:26 PM
A 85 No.

These types of classes do not have their own spellcasting/manifesting ability, therefore they can not be increased by another class that adds "+1 level of existing spellcasting/manifesting class."

sirpercival
2011-10-30, 03:13 PM
Q 86 Can a 2nd-level incantatrix use his Cooperative Metamagic ability to add metamagic feats to a spell cast via a spell-completion item, such as a scroll?

sreservoir
2011-10-30, 08:42 PM
A 86 probably not, and ambiguous even in the other cases.

first of all, cooperative metamagic has an action cost of a standard action. this makes most things undoable.

second, it's not very well-defined whether using a spell-effect item counts as casting. it does get referred to as "casting" several times.

third, adjacent is defined as "In a square that shares a border or a corner with a designated square. Each square is adjacent to eight other squares on the board." the definition says "a" border or "a" corner, implying adjacent only allows a single shared border or corner; your own square shares four borders and four corners with itself. but RAW is silly sometimes. that reading might be considered somewhat ridiculous.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2011-10-30, 09:06 PM
A 86 probably not, and ambiguous even in the other cases.

first of all, cooperative metamagic has an action cost of a standard action. this makes most things undoable.

second, it's not very well-defined whether using a spell-effect item counts as casting. it does get referred to as "casting" several times.

third, adjacent is defined as "In a square that shares a border or a corner with a designated square. Each square is adjacent to eight other squares on the board." the definition says "a" border or "a" corner, implying adjacent only allows a single shared border or corner; your own square shares four borders and four corners with itself. but RAW is silly sometimes. that reading might be considered somewhat ridiculous.Dispute A86:
Take, for instance, the humble scroll (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/scrolls.htm). First line in the SRD description:
A scroll is a spell (or collection of spells) that has been stored in written form. A spell on a scroll can be used only once. The writing vanishes from the scroll when the spell is activated. Using a scroll is basically like casting a spell.From this it appears that casting a spell from a scroll counts for the purposes of cooperative metamagic. The important distinction is that the item in question has to explicitly say it's like casting a spell. On top of all that, I'm not really following the "adjacent" stuff. That said, I agree there may be some ambiguity here. If serpercival wishes to discuss the matter further I suggest he create a new thread.

Anyway, no bites on Q79?

AxeD
2011-10-30, 11:13 PM
Q87: is it possible to sunder an enemy's natural weapons the way you can sunder hydraulic heads?
Sorry, "hydra heads", Damn auto correct.

AugustNights
2011-10-30, 11:24 PM
Q88

Does the entangled condition impede flight, beyond if the entangling effect is anchored/ reducing speed?

Elfinor
2011-10-30, 11:47 PM
A 83
Most non-pounce methods listed here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103358) can give extra movement after an attack.

There's also the Extreme Leap skill trick from Complete Scoundrel: useable once per encounter. There are similar skill tricks which specify that they add 10 ft. of movement to an action: Quick Swimmer - swim action, Speedy Ascent - climb action. Extreme Leap instead specifies that with a 10+ ft. jump and a swift action you can move another 10 feet in that turn. It is not specified that it has to extend the jump action or even be a jump - though the name implies that it does. It's not addressed in the errata (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/er/20040125a) so it looks like RAW. I'll ask another question just to be sure I've got the right of it.

Hope that helps! I am willing to do more research for you in that area, it interests me too. What a coincidence...

Q 89
Can you jump 10+ ft. at an opponent (move action), use a standard action (maneuver, attack etc.) and then use the Extreme Leap skill trick (swift action) to move 10 ft. away from an opponent? See second paragraph in the above answer for more details and a link to Complete Scoundrel errata.

KillianHawkeye
2011-10-30, 11:55 PM
A 87 No.

Sundering cannot normally be done against a creature. Hydra's are a special exception.

Keld Denar
2011-10-31, 12:58 AM
A 79

Since the images look exactly like the caster (as indicated in the "burned" example), then yes, the images and the caster would be "outlined" in glitter.

A 88

No, being entangled doesn't directly impact flying unless the entangled creature were also immobilized (such as stuck to a surface by a Tanglefoot Bag). Do note that depending on maneuverability class, certain forward momentum minimums have to be met, which might be difficult to meet while movement is halved due to the entangled condition. Failure to meet these minimums might results in a stall, which would indirectly impact the flyers flight.

A 89

Nothing restricts are character from moving using non-move action movement. If you have the ability to move as a swift action (Travel Devotion, Sudden Leap, Extreme Leap, Quicksilver Motion etc), you could essentially move 3 times per round (once as a standard, once as a swift, once as a move). Or you could move with your move, attack with your standard, and move away with your swift.

paurpg
2011-10-31, 06:58 AM
Q 90
Do you have to use a move action to draw a scroll or a wand or a potion you carry before you activate it with a standard action?

Q 91
Can you read a scroll with only one free hand?

Q 92
When you cast a spell from a scroll that involves a successful melee touch attack such as shocking grasp do you get to make the melee attack in the same round or do you have to wait till the next round?

Q93
When equipped witha two hand weapon like a longbow can you hold it in one hand for a round and cast a spell without having to put the bow away and draw it next turn?

Q94
Can you initiate a grapple with only one free hand or do you have to drop everything you are holding first?

Murdim
2011-10-31, 09:29 AM
A 90
Yes. Wands are weapon-like objects, and can be drawn as a free action with the Quick Draw feat. For potions, you will need a potion belt (technically a FR-exclusive item, but, oh well).

A 91
Yes. Technically, you don't even have to be the one holding it.

A 92
You can make the melee attack in the same round. Touch spells allow you to make a touch attempt as a free action the same round they are cast. It doesn't matter how they are cast, because the free attack isn't part of the casting - it is its own free action. You still need to have a free hand, though.

A 93
Yes. You can even shoot with the bow and cast a quickened spell in the same round.

Basket Burner
2011-10-31, 10:30 AM
Q94: When a creature's type is altered by a template, exactly what does this mean?

Specifically:

A Human Wizard becomes a Lich.
He is attacked by a Human Bane weapon, post undead transformation.
Is he still susceptible to this effect based on his former type in addition to undead bane, or does only undead bane work?

Q95: Both Corpsecrafter and Desecrate allow for creating undead with +2 HP per HD each, and they stack. What other undead HP boosting methods stack with both of these? I know there's a third, but can't remember what it is.

Keld Denar
2011-10-31, 10:35 AM
A 94

There are no direct rules for how many hands you need available to grapple someone. Given that you can wield a light weapon in a grapple but you can't TWF in a grapple, I'd imagine that means that you need at least one hand free, but the rules don't outright say anything about that.

A 95

If a template changes the base creature’s type, the creature also acquires the augmented subtype unless the template description indicates otherwise. The augmented subtype is always paired with the creature’s original type. Unless a template indicates otherwise, the new creature has the traits of the new type but the features of the original type.

So the lich is Undead (Augmented Humanoid(Human)). It has undead traits and human features. Bane should only key off of the traits, so it wouldn't be affected by Bane Human anymore, since it doesn't have human traits, only human features.

A 96

A Dread Necromancer who's 8th level or higher can add HP. I don't remember off the top of my head, but I don't think it stacks with Corpsecrafter. It would stack with Desecrate, though.

Chanteur
2011-10-31, 12:39 PM
Q 97

Can you use Heavy Armor Optimization and Greater Heavy Armor Optimization (Races of Stone) with mithral heavy armor?

A_S
2011-10-31, 01:23 PM
Q 97

Can you use Heavy Armor Optimization and Greater Heavy Armor Optimization (Races of Stone) with mithral heavy armor?

A 97

Probably not. RAW, Mithral armor is treated as one category lighter "for purposes of movement and other limitations." Seems fairly hard to argue that wording limiting use of a feat to specific armor types is not a "limitation."

Furthermore, the FAQ's attempt at clarification says the standard interpretation is to just treat it as a category lighter for all purposes:

Is a character proficient with light armor, such as a rogue, considered to be proficient with mithral breastplate? What about a character proficient with medium armor, such as a barbarian—is he considered proficient with mithral full plate armor?

The description of mithral on page 284 of the DMG is less precise than it could be in defining how it interacts with armor proficiency rules. The simplest answer—and the one that the Sage expects most players and DMs use—is that mithral armor is treated as one category lighter for all purposes, including proficiency. This isn’t exactly what the DMG says, but it’s a reasonable interpretation of the intent of the rule (and it’s supported by a number of precedents, including the descriptions of various specific mithral armors described on page 220 of the DMG and a variety of NPC stat blocks).

Thus, a ranger or rogue could wear a mithral breastplate without suffering a nonproficiency penalty (since it’s treated as light armor), and each could use any ability dependent on wearing light or no armor (such as evasion or the ranger’s combat style). A barbarian could wear mithral full plate armor without suffering a nonproficiency penalty (since it’s treated as medium armor), and he could use any ability dependent on wearing medium or lighter armor (such as fast movement).

The same would be true of any other special material that uses the same or similar language as mithral (such as darkleaf, on page 120 of the ECS).
This doesn't help the case for using it with Heavy Armor Optimization.

It certainly would be a reasonable houserule, though.

paurpg
2011-10-31, 03:53 PM
Q 97
Can someone with a BAB of atleast +1 draw a "weapon-like object" such as a wand as a free action combined with a move? (I'm guessing a scroll or a potion doesn't count as a "weapon-like object")
Q 98
Does drawing a wand or a scroll or a potion provoke an attack of opportunity?

Lateral
2011-10-31, 04:10 PM
Q 74

Does the Share Soulmeld feat (MoI) allow you to share with more than one companion/familiar/etc.?

Also, Q 98

Does the Airstep Sandals soulmeld count as flying (for the purpose of feats, prestige classes and so on)?

JKTrickster
2011-10-31, 05:12 PM
Q. 99 Does the item "Crown of White Raven" grant stances as well?

Dusk Eclipse
2011-10-31, 05:34 PM
Q100 How do I determine which are the class skills for a monster with RHD?

Murdim
2011-10-31, 05:56 PM
Q 98
Can someone with a BAB of atleast +1 draw a "weapon-like object" such as a wand as a free action combined with a move? (I'm guessing a scroll or a potion doesn't count as a "weapon-like object")
Q 99
Does drawing a wand or a scroll or a potion provoke an attack of opportunity?

A 98
Yes.

A 99
Retrieving a stored object is a move action that provokes attacks of opportunity. If you have to dig into your backpack in order to get the item, yes... and apparently, by RAW, the only way to keep your potions somewhere more accessible than in your backpack is to use an item found in a setting-exclusive book. Scrolls have it worse, needless to say.

On the other hand, drawing wands does not provoke AoOs, as long as you keep them on you as you would a weapon. And there are very few reasons that I know not to keep all your wands, weapons and other weapon-like items on you at all time.

Also, Q 100

Does the Airstep Sandals soulmeld count as flying (for the purpose of feats, prestige classes and so on)?

A 100
Stupid RAW would say yes, and that you recursively lose access to everything that directly or indirectly has flight as a prerequisite every and each time you lose your flight speed. But the soulmeld never says that you lose your flight speed at the end of your move action, right? It just says that you have to end your move on your feet. So that's a double yes.

The prerequisites for Flyby Attack are particular, though, and the Airstep Sandals soulmeld won't help you qualify for it. You have to grow an actual pair of wings to do so. A soul-bound Good- or Evil-aligned Incarnate Avatar might do the trick, but even then, probably not.

Q. 101 Does the item "Crown of White Raven" grant stances as well?

A 101
On the one hand, ToB's introduction states that stances are a special type of maneuvers, and stances are counted as maneuvers in order to qualify for the prerequisites of other stances or maneuvers.

On the other hand, everywhere else in the same book, stances are treated as something distinct from maneuvers. Martial adept classes grants maneuvers and stances, not stances and non-stance maneuvers. Martial study grants a maneuver, not a non-stance maneuver. And so on.

Overall, I'd say no.

Q102 How do I determine which are the class skills for a monster with RHD?

A 102

The skills that are listed on the monster's stat block are their class skills.

JoeYounger
2011-10-31, 08:12 PM
Q103: When crafting magic items if you are limiting an item to a certain class/alignment can you do that multiple times? IE: 30% off cost for lawful 30% off for good 30% off for Marshal class 30% off for Dragon Shaman class for a super cheap item only you can use? Or can the 30% discount only be applied once?

Private-Prinny
2011-10-31, 08:52 PM
Q104

You instantly transfer yourself from your current location to any other spot within range. You always arrive at exactly the spot desired—whether by simply visualizing the area or by stating direction. After using this spell, you can’t take any other actions until your next turn.

Even though Dimension Door was around before immediate actions existed, does this line prevent you from using an immediate action that round?

Hunter Killer
2011-10-31, 09:02 PM
Q105

If a Spell-Like ability does not specify a Caster Level or Spell Level, how do I determine those?

Keld Denar
2011-10-31, 09:12 PM
A 105

CL should be equal to the HD of the caster, or some other value as described in the creature's stat block.

Save DCs are generally 10 + spell level of the effect + relevant mod (typically Cha). SLAs are almost always based on spells. Find the spell, and find its level. If its on multiple spell lists, use the list that fits the theme of the creature (if most spells are on the Wiz/Sorc list, use the Wiz/Sorc version, if most spells are on the Clr list, use the Clr level). If the DC is given, you can reverse engineer the spell level by subtracting 10 and the creatures SLA stat (again, typically Cha). Whatever's left SHOULD be the spell level unless the creature has any extraordinary feats like Ability Focus.

If that fails, the general rule for a creature's abilities is typically 10 + 1/2 HD + stat. This is generally for SU and EX abilities, but it could work for a SP ability as well, assuming it wasn't already listed.

Hunter Killer
2011-10-31, 09:16 PM
Q105, B

To further clarify, it is just a X/Day use Spell-Like from a class. The ability lists neither a spell it is copying the effect of, nor a Caster Level for the ability.

Keld Denar
2011-10-31, 09:23 PM
A 105

What class gives this ability? What book?

CL would probably be the level of the PrC, or possible 5 or 10 plus levels in the PrC. Spell level is probably either effectively 10 + PrC level + stat.

Curmudgeon
2011-10-31, 10:40 PM
A 103

It's a maximum sale price reduction of 30%.
Item Requires Skill to Use: Some items require a specific skill to get them to function. This factor should reduce the cost about 10%.

Item Requires Specific Class or Alignment to Use: Even more restrictive than requiring a skill, this limitation cuts the cost by 30%. Notice that it doesn't say "by an additional 30%" if use requires both a skill and a class/alignment.

As always when crafting custom items, your DM will determine the cost, and if a reduction in sale price has any impact on the crafting requirements.

Crocodactyl
2011-10-31, 11:15 PM
Q 106

Is there any weapon enchantment or weapon crystal that makes a weapon impervious to sundering?

Zombimode
2011-11-01, 04:02 AM
Reposting question:

Q 84

Regarding Ability Focus and Lurks: can I take Ability Focus (Lurk Augment) or do I have to single out individual Lurk Augments like Stunning Attack?

sirpercival
2011-11-01, 10:17 AM
Q107 You can use Focused Specialist with Precocious Apprentice at level 1 to turn your single 2nd-level general slot w/ caster-level check into two 2nd-level specialist slots w/ no caster-level check. Do you have to use both slots to cast the spell you chose with Precocious Apprentice?

Babale
2011-11-01, 07:53 PM
Q108

Are there any Colossal-sized constructs that pose a good challenge (and by good I mean HARD) for a mid-to-high-optimization party, around level 10?

Lateral
2011-11-01, 08:34 PM
Q108

Are there any Colossal-sized constructs that pose a good challenge (and by good I mean HARD) for a mid-to-high-optimization party, around level 10?

A 108

The only Colossal Construct I know of that's anywhere near appropriate for level 10 PCs is the colossal Animated Object. You could take that and improve it accordingly.

Q 74

Steward
2011-11-02, 06:53 AM
Q 109

Does anyone know why Blade Barrier (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/bladeBarrier.htm) is on the Good domain spell list (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spellLists/clericDomains.htm#goodDomain) I don't see how that spell is particularly good, especially when most of the other spells are either helpful or actually have the Good type.

Douglas
2011-11-02, 07:53 AM
A109

That is a highly subjective question fraught with issues of designer intent, not a question about RAW. RAW says that Blade Barrier is on the Good domain list, and that's the end of it. If you want more than that on this subject, you should start a separate thread to discuss it.

Raendyn
2011-11-02, 08:27 AM
A104
I get your point, but since nor the errata neither the FAQ/Sage/CustSer. suggested that it should be used otherwise, the RAW answer is that you can not use any actions, including immediate nad swift actions.

A106
I didn't do any heavy research before answering your question mate, but I did some, and the answer is : None that I know of...
There is a chance that what you are looking for exists somewhere burried in a book. I answered you because your question belongs to the group "I don't know, so I won't answer" and you'll end up checking again and again & asking again and again, after you have already got somehow upset...:smallwink:

A107
That is highly unlikely to happen. RAW it's definatelly no. Even without RAW it is difficult to end up with such an interpretation, as the spell slot you gain is not a real spell slot & you did not got it from your wizard class feature.

Q110

Can Soulbows use bows to fire their arrows through?

p.s.
I have a really stuborn player how just thinks that this is RAW, and insists that he should be allowed to play it as such. I believe my denial is correct, and this question is only posted so that the mentioned guy can see other opinions too. :vaarsuvius:
Although I can always be wrong...:elan:

Thanks in advance mates.:smallamused:

Balor01
2011-11-02, 10:58 AM
Q 110
If a creature has Etheralness ability (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/etherealness.htm) and is holding a Bag of Holding - do items in the bag also become etheral and can be transported along with equiptment?

deuxhero
2011-11-02, 11:25 AM
Q111

Following up from 104, AoO aren't actions for Dimension Door right?

Q112
Allies taken with the caster can still act right?

Raendyn
2011-11-02, 11:53 AM
A111

I can't see why they should be excluded?!?
The fact that "attack of opportunity" as a phrace does not have the word "action" inside doesn't change the fact that you perform an Attack action at you highest attack bonus...

Although RAW, if you are holding a weapon, someone might argue that for purposes of some effects, characters in your threatened areas are considered threatened. ( I talk through personal experience... There are guys...)
Well, the correct responce is " No you take no actions, No you don't threaten anyone"

A112

It's weird... but... yes, they can.
Don't get surprised if a DM rule they can't...

A~~~Balor 110

First of all mate, the question 110 is already been asked by ME.
So just double check before you ask something.

As for your answer , the bag becomes ethereal, yes! the stuff inside are not ethereal, they are in the "Elsewhere", your private extradimensional space.

And because I can already hear you asking what happens if you open the bag while ethereal, I answer you that the rules does not cover this issue.
But! For the sake of simplicity, they are ethereal when you withdraw them from the bag, the same way they are at your own state if you are material.

Yora
2011-11-02, 02:37 PM
Q113: Can a wish spell remove the bonuses to ability scores that a creature gained by a wish spell or one of the tomes that increase them?

Keld Denar
2011-11-02, 03:23 PM
A 113

Its not defined in the scope of "preapproved" wishes, and thus is subject to DM allowance and/or perversion.

JaronK
2011-11-02, 05:23 PM
Q 110
If a creature has Etheralness ability (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/etherealness.htm) and is holding a Bag of Holding - do items in the bag also become etheral and can be transported along with equiptment?

A110: The items in the bag are not even there. They're in a pocket dimension somewhere else. As such, the bag (which is ethereal) can be taken whereever you like, and the items will come out when you try to grab them as normal.

JaronK

Ditto
2011-11-02, 08:03 PM
Q114

Is there a feat that allows the Ninja to key their abilities off of a stat other than wisdom, like Carmendine Monk does?

missmvicious
2011-11-03, 12:22 AM
Working on a wizard character-
Q115 Can you cast a prepared cantrip more then once?
It was implied to me that you could prepare something like Dancing Lights once and then cast it as many times in a day as you wanted. Is it true?

Babale
2011-11-03, 12:24 AM
Working on a wizard character-
Q115 Can you cast a prepared cantrip more then once?
It was implied to me that you could prepare something like Dancing Lights once and then cast it as many times in a day as you wanted. Is it true?

Q115 Not by RAW, although many DMs do institute a houserule like that. Ask your friendly neighborhood DM!

Curmudgeon
2011-11-03, 06:01 AM
A 110 (the first 110) No.
Mind Arrow (Su): As a free action, you can create a semisolid arrow composed of psychic energy distilled from your mind. If your base attack bonus is high enough to grant you multiple attacks, you can create multiple mind arrows as part of an attack. You must have one hand free to create and project a mind arrow. Mind Arrow is a "create and project" Supernatural ability which augments the Throw Mind Blade class feature. There is no option to use a regular bow to fire the semisolid arrow created partway through use of the Mind Arrow ability; the "project" function is always part of Mind Arrow. That means a Soulbow cannot use money to add bow enhancements to hit or damage, or attain greater range increments, to the product of their Mind Arrow ability; they're stuck with what's available through class features.

A 111 additional info

Rules Compendium lists an attack of opportunity as "no action" (page 8), so a basic AoO is allowed after Dimension Door. The spell may cause limitations in conjunction with feats or class abilities which add extra functions to AoOs, so each such option would need to be individually checked to see if it's still covered under the "no action" heading.

cd4
2011-11-03, 06:59 AM
Q116 If I have the Child of Shadow stance active (Shadows grant concealment if you move at least 10ft) and activate Cloak of Deception (Greater invisibility until the end of my turn) What happens if I then move 10ft, do the shadows reveal where I am or not?

Q117 If I have the shadowdancer's hide in plain sight, could I use Child of Shadow to generate a shadow to hide in?

Q118 Is there any benefit to an attack from a hidden position?

Runestar
2011-11-03, 07:35 AM
Q116 If I have the Child of Shadow stance active (Shadows grant concealment if you move at least 10ft) and activate Cloak of Deception (Greater invisibility until the end of my turn) What happens if I then move 10ft, do the shadows reveal where I am or not?

Q117 If I have the shadowdancer's hide in plain sight, could I use Child of Shadow to generate a shadow to hide in?

The shadows generated are probably just fluff, and would have no mechanical benefit or drawback beyond what is described in the maneuver's entry. Thus, they would not give away your position, nor can you use them to hide in.

Curmudgeon
2011-11-03, 08:40 AM
A 118 Yes.

Being hidden means you are visually undetectable (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#invisible) to whichever creatures failed to Spot you, and receive the standard benefits:

+2 to attack
opponent denied DEX to AC
Attacking someone, even unsuccessfully, will draw attention to you (i.e., spoil the "not being observed" requirement for the Hide skill), and generally allow a reactive Spot check after the attack.

Jon_Dahl
2011-11-03, 09:16 AM
Q 119

Orca's Bite-attack does bludgeoning, slashing and piercing damage.
Morningstar does bludgeoning and piercing damage.

Underwater combat:
Do they both (bite and morningstar) receive -2 penalty to attacks and do halved damaged?

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/wilderness.htm#underwaterCombat

Curmudgeon
2011-11-03, 10:29 AM
A 119 No.

An Orca is not a land-based creature, so it has no difficulty when fighting in water. A penalty applies for a land-based creature making a slashing or bludgeoning attack, though, so a morningstar (which deals bludgeoning and piercing damage) will incur the listed difficulties. You can't "turn off" one type of damage; the weapon deals both types on every attack.

ILM
2011-11-03, 11:02 AM
Q120: The Shadow template from LoM gives a creature the following quality:
Shadow Blend (Su): In any conditions other than full daylight, a shadow creature can disappear into the shadows, giving it total concealment. Artificial illumination, even a light or continual flame spell, does not negate this ability, but a daylight spell will.
If a creature hidden this way attacks (either from melee or from range), does she reveal her presence? If so, to which extent? Does she only allow enemies to locate the square she's in, or can they even ignore the miss chance?

DalinarKohlin
2011-11-03, 12:05 PM
A120: Sort of.

It should follow the normal rules that allow them a listen/ spot check to see if they can locate where the attack originated from. However, since you have total concealment (barring a sudden use of daylight or similar affect) the shouldn't be able to "see" you and would have to just lob an attack at your general direction as they would an invisible opponent because you aren't actually behind anything; resulting in a 50% miss chance.

Although, it wouldn't surprise me if a DM allowed a very high success (10 or more above check) to reveal where you are as a house rule. That's just speculation though.

Raendyn
2011-11-03, 05:42 PM
A120:

Although, it wouldn't surprise me if a DM allowed a very high success (10 or more above check) to reveal where you are as a house rule. That's just speculation though.

A120, extra info:
Actually there are rules that cver the issue. you must beat the Move Silently by at least 20 with a Listen check. And, unless the enemy is charging at you or fighting/talking at an adjustmet square, it is highly unlikely to achieve such a check...

DMG p.295 for more info

Cruiser1
2011-11-03, 06:13 PM
Q121: Does Mind Blank (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/mindBlank.htm) prevent bonuses from Enchantment (Mind Affecting) buffs such as Heroism (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/heroism.htm)? If Heroism was cast on me earlier, and afterward Mind Blank is cast upon me, does Mind Blank suppress the effects of the active Heroism spell?

Raendyn
2011-11-03, 06:18 PM
A121

Yes, and Yes!

I am not 100% sure if, in the second part the spell is suppressed or nagated. Probably the spell is there. but it just has no effect on you. That might have some effect on the gameplay though, for example it might provide a "meatwall" for an area dispel???

JohnDaBarr
2011-11-03, 07:44 PM
Q122

If you are standing next to a creature (not immune to SA) and that creature is not aware of your presence (you manage to sneak on it using invisibility, move silently, etc...) is that creature considered helpless and can you perform a coup de grace??

Lateral
2011-11-03, 07:47 PM
A 122

No, of course not. There's no reason for that to be true, and furthermore, if someone can't see you that doesn't make them automatically completely helpless against any sort of attack.

(I'll ask this one more time, then I'll drop it.)

Q 74

sirpercival
2011-11-03, 07:50 PM
A74

SHARE SOULMELD [GENERAL]

You can share a soulmeld with an ally with which you have a special bond.

Prerequisite: Ability to shape soulmelds and a familiar, animal companion, or mount with whom you can share spells

Benefit: At your option, any soulmeld shaped by you and currently affecting you can also affect your familiar, animal companion, or mount. The creature in question must remain within 5 feet of you to receive the benefit. If the creature leaves this radius of effect, it loses the benefits of the soulmeld until such time as it returns within 5 feet.

Since it says "or", some would say that you only get one (and maybe that you would have to choose it at the time you choose the feat). However, I would let you use it on all of them, since they have to stay w/in 5 feet of you. But RAW it's unclear.

deuxhero
2011-11-03, 07:54 PM
q123

Death Knell (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/deathKnell.htm)'s STR bonus is untyped right?

Raendyn
2011-11-03, 08:07 PM
A74 extra.

Despite what seems logical, this is the RAW thread, and RAW you can only share it with one of the mentioned creatures. The fluf text uses singular & the mechanical description uses the word "or" instead of "and/or" which would allow what you want.

A123

Yes it is.
As a general note any bonus that does not mention its kind, its untyped.

A 111 additional info

Rules Compendium lists an attack of opportunity as "no action" (page 8), so a basic AoO is allowed after Dimension Door. The spell may cause limitations in conjunction with feats or class abilities which add extra functions to AoOs, so each such option would need to be individually checked to see if it's still covered under the "no action" heading.

I was thinking about that....

I concluded that even if what you say under strick RAW after the first glance is correct, just re-think of it.
There a bunch of effects that render you unable to take any actions (stuned/dazed/etc.) would it seem logical if you stun someone but he can AoO you? I don't think so.
Plus, the fluf of DDoor is that you need sometime ,after this extraordinary concetration you just used, to relax before you are able to act normaly again.
I see no big difference between these effect's fluf.

Am I wrong?

deuxhero
2011-11-03, 09:58 PM
q124

Does a Blackguard's fiendish servant's spell resistance stack or overlap with the resistance from its template? Common sense says "yes, otherwise it is completely pointless", but RAW?

Raendyn
2011-11-04, 03:53 AM
q124

Does a Blackguard's fiendish servant's spell resistance stack or overlap with the resistance from its template? Common sense says "yes, otherwise it is completely pointless", but RAW?

A124

The RAW answer is " No, you keep just the highest value". So say's the fiendish template MM p.108

Note that the 2 spell resistances have different values.
The fiendish one, is equal to the (companion's HD) +5 (which results in a value of 6-8, before HD increase). Max= 16 for the horses, 14 for the rest.
The blackguard's granted ability, has a value of (Blackguard's class lvl) + 5.
Max = 15 for anything.

Also, a personal comment: Common sense says "NO, or else the average Full-spellcaster would be unable to penetrate a petty companion's SR"
From your point of view, a 10th lvl BG-20 HD character's companion would have up to 31 SR. The same a 20th lvl caster using a 5th lvl spell for 1min/lvl. The same a drow with lvl adj buy-off. More than most of of the Great wyrm Dragon's??

KillianHawkeye
2011-11-04, 03:54 AM
A 124 They overlap. The fiendish servant will only get the higher of the two values.

Note, however, that the special abilities gained by a Blackguard's fiendish servant are based on the Blackguard's character level, not class level. Thus, the the minimum value when the SR kicks in at level 19 is SR 24. That'll give you a 20% rate of effectiveness against equal-level opponents.

Hardly "completely pointless." :smallamused:

Ducklord
2011-11-04, 03:56 AM
Q125

Let's say you're a Warblade with Cleave. If you drop an opponent with Mountain Hammer and get another attack, does that attack keep the +2d6 dmg?

And if you use Emerald Razor in the same scenario is the extra attack from cleave also a touch attack?

KillianHawkeye
2011-11-04, 04:04 AM
A 125 No to both.

The attack granted by Cleave is at the same attack bonus and with the same weapon you used to drop the first opponent, but in all other ways it is a normal melee attack. It does not inherit any extra damage or other effects from the attack which triggered it.

Similarly, a Rogue with Cleave who kills a foe with Sneak Attack would not get the extra damage dice against the second foe unless that foe is flanked or denied his Dex to AC. Nor would a Monk with Cleave who kills a foe with a Stunning Fist attack gain a free stun against the second target.

Raendyn
2011-11-04, 04:13 AM
Q125

Let's say you're a Warblade with Cleave. If you drop an opponent with Mountain Hammer and get another attack, does that attack keep the +2d6 dmg?

And if you use Emerald Razor in the same scenario is the extra attack from cleave also a touch attack?

A125 Correction

You do not gain an extra attack from cleave when using the mentioned manuevers. Both are strikes and in ToB p.43 says that you can not benefit from anything that grants you extra attacks, unless otherwise noted.

p.s. KillianHawkeye mate, I (as most of the forum members) appreciate your helping motivation, that's the reason you are postingin this thread, you are willing to lend your insights to the forum. But, since both our latest posts disagree, I would like you to double check your answers before posting. Please, provide source info for your replies so we can both check who is wrong and those who asked can see the correct answer to their questions. I checked again for my answers & did not find a mistake. I am not trying to play " know it all" & there's a high chance that I read something wrong before posting, I won't be the first time I am wrong.:elan:
Thanks.

deuxhero
2011-11-04, 04:33 AM
Additional 125
Warmind's Sweeping Strike DOES let you use it on two opponents if you really need the effect.

Hardly "completely pointless." :smallamused:

I didn't mean that, I mean the SR is gained twice and has nothing to show for it.

Ducklord
2011-11-04, 05:03 AM
A125 Correction

You do not gain an extra attack from cleave when using the mentioned manuevers. Both are strikes and in ToB p.43 says that you can not benefit from anything that grants you extra attacks, unless otherwise noted.

I looked it up and ToB says you can't benefit from spells or effects that grant you extra attacks, and haste or a speed weapon are mentioned as examples. Cleave is a feat, not an effect and it doesn't require a full round action opposed to haste and its kin.

Raendyn
2011-11-04, 05:07 AM
Additional 125
Warmind's Sweeping Strike DOES let you use it on two opponents if you really need the effect.

Someone might conclude to such an interpretation.
But! It is highly usefull if you do only what it is said that can be done, and not do anything that is not ruled otherwise. that's a personal opinion.

Also note, that since there are abilities that specify that they work " for determining all purposes and effects / plus any modifiers appropriate to the situation / etc " ( that's the WotC words) and sweeping strike does not have any such, or similar, mention. It shouldn't apply all attack bonuses and modifiers from effects as manuevers/spells/etc to the extra attacks, save your normal modifiers for an attack.
example:
Speed
When making a full attack action, the wielder of a speed weapon may make one extra attack with it. The attack uses the wielder’s full base attack bonus, plus any modifiers appropriate to the situation. (This benefit is not cumulative with similar effects, such as a haste spell.)

Moderate transmutation; CL 7th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, haste; Price +3 bonus.

I didn't mean that, I mean the SR is gained twice and has nothing to show for it.

I, as killian, did not got that you ment that. That's why we both comment this expresion you used.
I apologize for my tone earier mate.:thog:

I looked it up and ToB says you can't benefit from spells or effects that grant you extra attacks, and haste or a speed weapon are mentioned as examples. Cleave is a feat, not an effect and it doesn't require a full round action opposed to haste and its kin.

There is no such thing as an "effect" in the D&D. You can never have an "effect" on you by itshelf. Other things bestow effects/effect you, in many ways. spells/magical items/maneuvers/stances/feats/etc. affect on you and/or your actions. Cleave is a feat that carry along a particular effect which is applied to your attacks under certain conditions, and grants you an extra attack.
As such, the extra attack gained by cleave is wasted when used in conjunction which a strike manuever.

Runestar
2011-11-04, 06:34 AM
A125 Correction

I am rereading the relevant entry in ToB and I believe you may have interpreted it out of context. The author seems to be referencing abilities which grant normal extra attacks (like haste), rather than those that grant situational extra attacks contingent on the player meeting some condition (like cleave).

He is probably trying to say that effects like slashing flurry, whirling frenzy or haste cannot be combined with say, bounding assault to get extra attacks.

Also, the FAQ has an entry which states that improved trip works in conjunction with throw-based maneuvers like mighty throw, which seems run contrary to your assertion that any effect which grants an extra attack does not apply.

So yes, I would rule that cleave would indeed apply on foes dropped via maneuvers, but as stated earlier, the maneuver's benefits would not apply to this extra attack.

Raendyn
2011-11-04, 07:23 AM
I am rereading the relevant entry in ToB and I believe you may have interpreted it out of context. The author seems to be referencing abilities which grant normal extra attacks (like haste), rather than those that grant situational extra attacks contingent on the player meeting some condition (like cleave).

He is probably trying to say that effects like slashing flurry, whirling frenzy or haste cannot be combined with say, bounding assault to get extra attacks.

Also, the FAQ has an entry which states that improved trip works in conjunction with throw-based maneuvers like mighty throw, which seems run contrary to your assertion that any effect which grants an extra attack does not apply.

So yes, I would rule that cleave would indeed apply on foes dropped via maneuvers, but as stated earlier, the maneuver's benefits would not apply to this extra attack.

I get what you say. I agree, I also agreed at the begining that cleave should be excluded.
RAW it shouldn't. & the FAQ disagrees with RAW.

WotC rulezzzzzz!!:thog:

beckyangelix
2011-11-04, 08:20 AM
Q126
I am a complete newbie to D&D, and I've been wading through manuals, youtube videos and so on... I just can't find exactly how to fight a monster, step-by-step. I always get it from the player's view, but what about the DM's view? How do I know what the monster does?

Could anyone supply me with a step-by-step how-to for attacks in D&D 3.5, including damage taken by the monster? From the DM's view?

Thanks!

Balor01
2011-11-04, 08:26 AM
Q 127
By what means can etheralness be detected?

Ducklord
2011-11-04, 10:18 AM
A126

That's not really a short question, you might want to open a thread.

A127

See invisibility and true seeing reveal ethereal creatures.

sirpercival
2011-11-04, 10:48 AM
Q128 Does being immune to fatigue (by virtue of being warforged) prevent you from taking nonlethal damage from a forced march, or is it just the other way around?

Keld Denar
2011-11-04, 11:28 AM
A 128

Forced March
In a day of normal walking, a character walks for 8 hours. The rest of the daylight time is spent making and breaking camp, resting, and eating.

A character can walk for more than 8 hours in a day by making a forced march. For each hour of marching beyond 8 hours, a Constitution check (DC 10, +2 per extra hour) is required. If the check fails, the character takes 1d6 points of nonlethal damage. A character who takes any nonlethal damage from a forced march becomes fatigued. Eliminating the nonlethal damage also eliminates the fatigue. It’s possible for a character to march into unconsciousness by pushing himself too hard.

From this, it appears that a character who does a forced march takes the non-lethal damage first, regardless of whether or not they are immune to fatigue. If they take the damage, they then become fatigued (which they can't become, because they are immune). That doesn't stop them from taking non-lethal damage though, as written. I guess that that that accounts for overheating or something?

Steward
2011-11-04, 11:39 AM
Q 129

How are the bonus hit points for a monster calculated? (Like in this Night Hag (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/nightHag.htm), is there a specific reason that she gets 32 extra hit points on top of her ordinary 8d8 hit dice?)

sirpercival
2011-11-04, 11:41 AM
Q 129

How are the bonus hit points for a monster calculated? (Like in this Night Hag (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/nightHag.htm), is there a specific reason that she gets 32 extra hit points on top of her ordinary 8d8 hit dice?)

A129 She has an 18 Con (4*8 = 32)

KillianHawkeye
2011-11-04, 03:47 PM
A129 She has an 18 Con (4*8 = 32)

In other words, she uses her Constitution bonus like any other creature (except Undead and Constructs).

sirpercival
2011-11-04, 04:41 PM
Q130 If you beat a creature in initiative, and then you daze it so it can't take any actions, is it still flat-footed the following round?

Curmudgeon
2011-11-04, 05:18 PM
A 130 No.
flat-footed

Especially vulnerable to attacks at the beginning of a battle. Characters are flat-footed until their first turns in the initiative cycle. A flat-footed creature loses its Dexterity bonus to Armor Class (if any) and cannot make attacks of opportunity. While a creature is normally flat-footed until it acts in combat, that condition still goes away after their first turn in the initiative cycle even if they haven't acted.

JaronK
2011-11-04, 05:59 PM
A 130: Yes... probably. Curmudgeon just quoted the PHB Glossary, but both the main entry in the PHB and the SRD say you need to act to become not flat footed.

From the SRD:

Flat-Footed
A character who has not yet acted during a combat is flat-footed, not yet reacting normally to the situation. A flat-footed character loses his Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) and cannot make attacks of opportunity.

Until you act, you're flat footed, according to the SRD.

From the PHB, page 135, Initiative section:

A character is flat-footed until he or she takes an action.

PHB 137, Flat Footed section:

At the start of a battle, before you have had a chance to act (specifically, before your first regular turn in the initiative order), you are flat footed.

Putting these together, you do have to act to lose your flat footed status, but in general this means you're flat footed until your first initiative action. It sorta goes both ways here.

JaronK

Curmudgeon
2011-11-04, 06:06 PM
Re: A 130

Curmudgeon just quoted the PHB Glossary, but ...

From the PHB, page 135, Initiative section:
That's merely part of the terse "Combat Basics" summary page. The actual Initiative section of the Player's Handbook has this more extensive statement on page 137, which bears repeating with highlighting:

Flat-Footed: At the start of a battle, before you have had a chance to act (specifically, before your first regular turn in the initiative order), you are flat-footed. It's having the chance to act, not strictly acting, that removes that flat-footed condition; "A character is flat-footed until he or she takes an action" is merely the usual case.

It's always a good idea to read the full rules rather than just summaries, or the SRD (which is edited to remove examples, and thus loses some clarity).

Crake
2011-11-05, 02:53 AM
Q131
When drinking a potion of polymorph, does the brewer of the potion or the drinker decide on the form?

Q132
Are there any psion powers that give bonuses to all 3 saves sorta like the resistance spell?

Curmudgeon
2011-11-05, 04:12 AM
A 131

Your question cannot be answered, because there's no such thing as a "potion of Polymorph".
Polymorph
Transmutation

Level: Sor/Wiz 4
Brew Potion [Item Creation]

Benefit: You can create a potion of any 3rd-level or lower spell that you know and that targets one or more creatures. A potion of Alter Self would be possible, though. In that case the brewer would set the caster level, and thus the HD limit of the forms possible. The brewer would also determine the effect (the altered form). From Dungeon Master's Guide on page 229:
Potions are like spells cast upon the imbiber. The character taking the potion doesn’t get to make any decisions about the effect—the caster who brewed the potion has already done so.

Randomguy
2011-11-05, 10:21 AM
Q63 The geomancer PrC says that it lets you mix any paramaters from any spellcasting classes when casting a spell, but not when preparing it. Does that mean a druid/wizard that takes 10 levels in the class still needs 19 int and 19 wisdom to prepare the highest level druid and wizard spells? Does geomancer let you choose to use your highest caster level when casting a spell from any class? So a ranger/wizard/geomancer could choose to use his wizard caster level when casting a ranger spell, for example?

Also, does being a geomancer allow you to use DMM on your arcane spells (the ones for which you have spell versatility for)?

Reposted on new page.

Zaq
2011-11-05, 01:30 PM
A 131 Point of Order

There are ways to get potions of Polymorph, from the dubious (Sanctum Spell shenanigans) to the explicitly legal (Master Alchemist). Other than that, Curmudgeon is completely right, as usual.

Q 133

What does the spell Ebon Eyes (SpC 77) do? The initial sentence seems contradictory. Quoted:

The subject of this spell gains the ability to see normally in natural and magical darkness, although it does not otherwise improve the subject’s ability to see in natural dark or shadowy conditions.

Is "otherwise" the key word there? Does it just let you see through darkness and darkness effects? I don't see what the second clause could be referring to, and it's confusing me.

Curmudgeon
2011-11-05, 02:06 PM
A 133

You're right that the text of Ebon Eyes seems confusing. However, the short description of the spell (found in the spell lists in Chapter 2 of Spell Compendium) has the main feature that this spell provides:

Ebon Eyes: Subject can see through magical darkness. The rest of it is here:
The subject ignores the miss chance due to lack of illumination other than total darkness. From the "Exploration" section of the Player's Handbook Adventuring chapter (page 164):
In an area of shadowy illumination, a character can see dimly. Creatures within this area have concealment (see page 152) relative to that character. So the main benefit of Ebon Eyes is that given in the short description (ignore magical darkness effects). The secondary benefit is to skip the 20% miss chance from natural dim light. Otherwise, the subject sees normally.

Lateral
2011-11-05, 02:20 PM
Q 134

What is the duration of the Screaming Bolt's (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm#screamingBolt) Shaken condition? Also, will it stack with itself? That is, if you fire two bolts at the same target, will it cause enemies within 20 feet of the bolts to become Frightened if they fail their saves against both?

Curmudgeon
2011-11-05, 02:42 PM
A 134

You'll have to ask your DM about the duration of the Screaming Bolt's shaken effect, since the rules don't provide that. (The most obvious answer would be to use the duration of the spell required for crafting and the listed caster level, resulting in a 5 minute duration.) Since the shaken condition provides a penalty to attack rolls and saving throws, Screaming Bolts are subject to the usual magical stacking limits: no escalation in fear happens with multiple effects from the same source, but the duration becomes the longest of all such effects.

Nazde Bahatur
2011-11-05, 02:56 PM
Q. 135

The "Returning" special ability states that it can only be placed on a weapon that can be thrown. Can you put it on a harpoon, then?
And if yes, would the weapon deal the exta damage (the initial damage the harpoon dealt) when dislodging itself in order to fly back to you?

Curmudgeon
2011-11-05, 03:17 PM
A 135

Yes, you could enhance a harpoon with returning. However, when it returns it would deal no extra damage. The extra damage on a harpoon is specified to happen when the harpooned creature pulls the harpoon from its wound, and not otherwise.

Metahuman1
2011-11-05, 07:16 PM
Q: 136

Can you make normal Itinarative attacks while using the Decisive Strike Alternative class feature for Monk presented in the Players Handbook II?

(Note: The character build this would be for is only gonna have a 1 level dip into monk to get the ability to handle themselves in Unarmed combat with out having to burn two or three feats. This is mostly for RPing Bar fights and the like at low levels, and occasionally for taking a target alive for good guy points.)

Douglas
2011-11-05, 07:38 PM
A136

No. Decisive Strike is a full round action to make a single attack, no matter how many you might normally get.

Escheton
2011-11-05, 10:13 PM
Q137

Does the armor check penalty from adamantine body apply to attack rolls if you don't have proficiency with heavy armor?

Curmudgeon
2011-11-05, 11:29 PM
A 137 Yes.

From the feat's Benefit section (page 50 of Eberron Campaign Setting):
However, your base land speed is reduced to 20 feet, and you are considered to be wearing heavy armor.

sirpercival
2011-11-05, 11:41 PM
A137 Nope. http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ask/20070123a

Curmudgeon
2011-11-05, 11:56 PM
Re: A 137

Nope. http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ask/20070123a
This is a thread for "by RAW" answers. That "Ask Wizards" answer doesn't have any RAW justification.

Kyuu Himura
2011-11-06, 12:20 AM
Q 138

If a character uses a swift action spell or maneuver (like a Boost, for example), can he use an immediate action in the same round?

Example: I use the Burning Blade maneuver, then I am attacked, can I use a Wall of Blades to block the attack or do I have to wait until my next turn?

Douglas
2011-11-06, 12:24 AM
A138

Yes, provided the immediate action is after his turn ends. If you use Burning Blade and then do something to provoke an AoO, you would not be able to use Wall of Blades against the AoO. If you use Burning Blade, finish your turn, and then an enemy attacks you, then Wall of Blades would be available.

Availability of swift/immediate actions refreshes at the end of your turn.

bassmasterginga
2011-11-06, 01:12 AM
when i mimic a spell do i pay its material and/or xp costs ie shadow evocation?

Runestar
2011-11-06, 02:21 AM
when i mimic a spell do i pay its material and/or xp costs ie shadow evocation?

No. So a forcecage mimic'ed this way does not require 1000gp in diamonds. :smallsmile:

Elfinor
2011-11-06, 03:22 AM
A 63

Q63 The geomancer PrC says that it lets you mix any paramaters from any spellcasting classes when casting a spell, but not when preparing it. Does that mean a druid/wizard that enters the class still needs 19 int and 19 wisdom to prepare the highest level druid and wizard spells? Yes.

Does geomancer let you choose to use your highest caster level when casting a spell from any class? So a ranger/wizard/geomancer could choose to use his wizard caster level when casting a ranger spell, for example? No. It is not explicitly mentioned as one of the switchable parameters: casting in armor, choose ability to DC, material component/divine focus switch and switching out prepared spells for cure/inflict (cleric only).

Also, does being a geomancer allow you to use DMM on your arcane spells (the ones for which you have spell versatility for)? By RAW, no. It is not included in the switchable parameters and arcane spells do not explicitly become divine spells (which is necessary, see DMM in the Complete Divine errata (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/er/20040125a)), no matter how many divine spell parameters are used for them.