PDA

View Full Version : The Lyapunov Affair: Chaos Diplomacy

Pages : 1 [2]

Pelfaid
2012-01-13, 10:29 PM
I have no problem with accelerating the game and I promise to start doing press again after this turn.:smallsmile:

TBFProgrammer
2012-01-13, 11:28 PM
The attempted revolution in Trieste led by the former noble of Austria-Hungary followed by the invasion of the Venetian Militia had rendered the offices of the press of Trieste inaccessible to the Triesten government these past years. For this, we would like to make a full apology. Please bear with us during this time of rebuilding.

Splynn
2012-01-14, 02:32 AM
I don't really have any issue with accelerating turns, either. But with so many people, my concern is that accelerating turns will just result in more NMRs which are always a bad thing. Or we end up delaying and getting those last minute orders in from people, and it ends up the same thing as what we're doing now anyway.

I'm up for it, but I'd like to also state that if it creates problems, we should just slow things down again.

tiaxrulesall
2012-01-14, 03:55 AM
Hey Bulgaria here I've sort of forgotten about this game for a while, so I am amenable to receive new diplomacy. I have also mostly forgotten what happened in the past.

thewamp
2012-01-14, 11:05 PM
Sorry for the delay, it's been a busy day. Results up in the next 6ish hours. For those who NMRed, you have until I get around to it (not that I really expect any more orders at this point).

thewamp
2012-01-15, 01:34 PM
We still need one replacement. Let me know if you find anyone willing to take over.

Fall 1903

http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/2792/chaosf1903morders.png
http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/5160/chaosf1903b.png
The second map is after retreats since sev has no real option except to disband

A-Ankara - Shular
A Con - Ank

E-Budapest - Jamin
A Bud S A Tri

F-Bulgaria - tiaxrulesall
A Bul S A Rum

G-Constantinople - Grue Bait
F BLA - Rum

H-Denmark - Niezck
F Swe S F Den
F Den H

K-Holland - Pelfaid
F HEL - Den
F Kie S F HEL - Den
F Bel - Hol

N-Liverpool - Chambers
NMR

P-London - Makleveh
F Wal - Lvp
F Cly - Edi
F Gas - Bre

Q-Marsailles - Locus
A Spa S A Par - Gas
A Mar S A Spa

R-Moscow - nolispe
A Ukr - Sev
A Mos S A Ukr - Sev
A Nwy H

S-Munich - Mael
A Ber H
A Bur S A Mar - Gas

T-Naples - C'nor
A Apu - Rom

V-Paris - Splynn
A Par - Bre

X-Rome - Deathslayer7
F TYS - Nap

Y-Rumania - Murska
A Smy - Ank

Z-Serbia - Spate
A Ser - Bul
F Gre S A Ser - Bul

0-Sevastopol - 52.5 Lemons
F Sev - Rum

2-Spain - IcemanJRC
F Por - Spa/nc

4-Sweden - Vexen
F NTH - Hol

5-Trieste - TBFProgrammer
A Tri H

7-Venice - Mistral
A Ven - Rom
F Rom - Nap
F ADR - ION

8-Vienna - TsukikoJ
A Rum S F Sev

Retreats! (disbands assumed if the power has no supply centers and can't interfere with anyone else's retreats)
F Sev Disbands

Builds! Due by by Monday at 10pm (assumes retreats are taken)
Ankara Builds 1
Constantinople Removes F BLA
Liverpool Removes F MAO
London Builds 1
Moscow Builds 2
Serbia Builds 1
Sweden Removes F NTH
Trieste Builds 1
Venice Removes 1

Dearly Departed (17 players left and in case anyone's counting that means half of the players have been eliminated so give yourselves a pat on the back)
tiaxrulesall - Bulgaria
Grue Bait - Constantinople
Chambers - Liverpool
52.5 Lemons - Sevastopol
Vexen - Sweden

Spring 1904 Orders are due Thursday 1/19 at 10pm PST
If that's too fast, I'm willing to give a 24 hour extension if anyone asks (just one though), because this is speeding things up a little bit.

Reminder that I prefer orders be sent to giantitpdip (at) gmail (dot) com, but PMs will work if you must.

nolispe
2012-01-15, 02:59 PM
Things were going remarkably well, thought Alexis D'Ashkemprov as he sat in his VIP box. Moscow had grown to become the premier city of Russia once again, and just last night the news had come in that Sevastapol had offically been restored to the territories of Russia. Moreover, Norway had "thrown off it's tyrannous yoke" and "independently annexed itself to the wise and capable leadership of Moscow", at least according to the latest reports...

The parade beneath him continued, as the marching bands played annoying tune after annoying tune to the seemingly endless ranks of troops beneath him (although to be fair they were looping round through the underground railway system to artifically increase their numbers). Meanwhile, Alexis had another glass of champange. The job he had taken primarily to embezzle money from the state was going remarkably well... He might not even have to steal the money after all!

Murska
2012-01-15, 03:54 PM
Ha! I outlived Sevastopol.

52.5 Lemons
2012-01-15, 09:31 PM
Would have been nice if I could have trusted at least one of you... but good luck to the rest of you.

Murska
2012-01-15, 09:35 PM
Would have been nice if I could have trusted at least one of you... but good luck to the rest of you.

Technically, you'd have survived if you hadn't attacked the one trying to protect you this turn.

Anyway, no hard feelings this game - it's Diplomacy, you never get to trust anybody. :smalltongue:

nolispe
2012-01-15, 10:32 PM
Technically, you'd have survived if you hadn't attacked the one trying to protect you this turn.

Anyway, no hard feelings this game - it's Diplomacy, you never get to trust anybody. :smalltongue:

Nah, BLA attacked Rum as well, cutting the support twice.
I was paranoid, what can I say.

Yeah. I'm trustworthy for exactly as long as my long-term best intrests are served - in this case, that time had just run out.

TBFProgrammer
2012-01-16, 03:16 PM
The first battalion returns. Trieste liberated from oppressive Venetians.
After a year under the oppressive thumb of foreign government, all of Austria is once again free. Further, the shadow guild of Trieste has been overthrown by supporters of Kurt von Programmer within the First Battalion. It would seem that the Second Battalion's insurrection was merely a ruse to allow members of the First Battalion to gain access to the leaders of the guild.

thewamp
2012-01-17, 04:50 AM
Winter 1903

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/664/chaoss1904m.png

Ankara builds F Ank
Moscow builds A War
Moscow builds F stp/sc
Liverpool disbands F MAO
London builds F Lon
Serbia builds A Ser
Sweden disbands F NTH
Trieste builds A Vie
Venice autodisbands F ION

101jir
2012-01-17, 12:06 PM
Winter 1903

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/664/chaoss1904m.png

Ankara builds F Ank
Moscow builds A War
Moscow builds F stp/nc
Liverpool disbands F MAO
London builds F Lon
Serbia builds A Ser
Sweden disbands F NTH
Trieste builds A Vie
Venice autodisbands F ION

I suppose this would get pointed out eventually, and as this is a mistake (I think), I don't think I'm violating any rules (correct me if I'm wrong), but you wrote that Moscow built a fleet on the North Coast, but your image shows a build on the south coast.

Mistral
2012-01-17, 12:21 PM
Drat. I missed the last update due to the holiday, it seems. That pretty much kills my plan. C'est la vie.

EDIT: Well, to be fair, even if I did warn him in advance, I don't think the GM would have appreciated my "plan".

nolispe
2012-01-17, 02:39 PM
I suppose this would get pointed out eventually, and as this is a mistake (I think), I don't think I'm violating any rules (correct me if I'm wrong), but you wrote that Moscow built a fleet on the North Coast, but your image shows a build on the south coast.

I think it should be on the south coast. Might just be a typo.

thewamp
2012-01-17, 02:44 PM

No! It's cheating! You can't point out my mistakes!

Yep, should have said south coast, thanks for catching that. :smallsmile:

thewamp
2012-01-18, 01:59 AM
This is your 48 hour warning
Cause I missed the 60 hour window.

Mistral
2012-01-19, 01:10 PM
Sorry about this, thewamp, but I'll have to drop even though I know you haven't lined up that replacement player yet. I hate to leave a job undone, but I can't keep up with everything, and this is one of the more time-intensive ones I can set aside.

thewamp
2012-01-19, 10:51 PM
Sorry about this, thewamp, but I'll have to drop even though I know you haven't lined up that replacement player yet. I hate to leave a job undone, but I can't keep up with everything, and this is one of the more time-intensive ones I can set aside.

Two things:

1. Thrice Dead Cat is taking over for Mistral, everyone. PM him. He should post here soonish. I did have a replacement lined up, see?

2. In the future, don't officially drop the day before orders are due. Do it the day after orders are do. Gives me the maximum time to cope.

The due day is now Friday at 10pm
Anyway who needs to talk to Thrice Dead Cat about orders, that's what that time is for. It was a short turn anyway, so not that big a deal to create a delay.

Thrice Dead Cat
2012-01-19, 11:20 PM
Norwegian Spotted in Venice!

Former Naval Commander of the Norwegian Empire has been seen dealing with Venetian Diplomats!

I must say, it's good to be back.:smallbiggrin: To those Venice has wronged in the past: my apologies. Let's get down to business, as it were.

thewamp
2012-01-21, 02:41 PM
Spring 1904

http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/815/chaoss1904morders.png
http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/5259/chaoss1904r.png

A-Ankara - Shular
A Con H
F Ank - BLA

E-Budapest - Jamin
A Bud - Ser

H-Denmark - Niezck
F Swe S F Den
F Den H

K-Holland - Pelfaid
F HEL - Den
F Kie S F HEL - Den
F Bel - Eng

P-London - Makleveh
F Gas - Bre
F Lon - ENG
F Lvp - IRI
F Edi - NTH

Q-Marsailles - Locus
A Spa S A Par - Gas
A Mar S A Spa

R-Moscow - nolispe
A War - Sil
A Mos - War
A Sev S A Rum
F Stp/sc - BOT
A Nwy H

S-Munich - Mael
A Ber - Pru
A Bur - Mun

T-Naples - C'nor
A Apu - Rom

V-Paris - Splynn
A Par - Bre

X-Rome - Deathslayer7
F TYS - ION

Y-Rumania - Murska
A Smy - Arm

Z-Serbia - Spate
A Bul - Rum
A Ser S A Bul - Rum
F Gre - Bul

2-Spain - IcemanJRC
F Por H

A Tri - Bud
A Vie S A Tri - Bud

7-Venice - Thrice Dead Cat
A Ven - Rom
F Rom - Nap

8-Vienna - TsukikoJ
NMR

Retreats! Due by Sunday at 10pm
Budapest A Bud may disband or retreat to Gal

Fall 1904 Orders are due Thursday 1/26 at 10pm PST
Reminder that I prefer orders be sent to giantitpdip (at) gmail (dot) com, but PMs will work if you must.

Niezck
2012-01-21, 04:38 PM
Sorry about the NMR/lateness of orders, exams have been absolutely killing me. I take it by the NMR that my submitted orders were too late?

thewamp
2012-01-21, 06:12 PM
Sorry about the NMR/lateness of orders, exams have been absolutely killing me. I take it by the NMR that my submitted orders were too late?

Actually they weren't, I just didn't notice them. Gmail issues. I'll fix this in a moment.

Guys, denmark didn't NMR
Look at how the map is different once I fix it in about 10 minutes.

Jamin
2012-01-21, 10:40 PM
I am just disbanding I was loyal to my allies who all stabbed me in the back

Makleveh
2012-01-21, 10:42 PM

You won't make that mistake again. :smalltongue:

Thrice Dead Cat
2012-01-21, 11:44 PM

To be fair, you could make a move at Vienna-occupied Rumania.:smalltongue:

Mael
2012-01-22, 07:15 AM

Or if you'd retreated to Gal you might have gotten support in to Warsaw.

Murska
2012-01-22, 08:41 AM

Please, Vienna, take good care of it. :smallfrown:

Shular
2012-01-23, 12:43 PM

Retreat to Gal. For at least one more turn you get to be a pain in the butt, and you never know, you might get a territory.

thewamp
2012-01-23, 04:40 PM
Retreat to Gal. For at least one more turn you get to be a pain in the butt, and you never know, you might get a territory.

Nope, deadline passed.

Summer 1904
A Bud disbands

I trust you all don't need a new map.

Thrice Dead Cat
2012-01-23, 07:05 PM
Is it just me or are we slowly turning this into a game of crowded diplomacy? Well, maybe with a few exceptions, naturally.

thewamp
2012-01-23, 08:29 PM
Is it just me or are we slowly turning this into a game of crowded diplomacy? Well, maybe with a few exceptions, naturally.

There's no france, but other than that, it is beginning to look that way, you're right.

TBFProgrammer
2012-01-23, 09:51 PM
Sorry Jamin. I hope you enjoy my coming demise.

thewamp
2012-01-26, 11:46 AM
I forgot to warn people!
This is your 13 hour warning
But I'll give 24 hours from this point if necessary

thewamp
2012-01-27, 01:54 PM
A quiet turn in terms of builds. Honestly no idea how quiet it was in terms of diplomacy. But I never know these things.

Fall 1904

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/5345/chaosf1904morders.png
http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/4764/chaosf1904r.png

A-Ankara - Shular
A Con H
F BLA S A Arm - Sev

E-Budapest - Jamin
No Units

H-Denmark - Niezck
F Swe H
F Den S F Swe

K-Holland - Pelfaid
F Bel - Hol
F HEL - Den
F Kie S F HEL - Den

P-London - Makleveh
F IRI - MAO
F Gas - Bre
F NTH - Bel
F Lon - NTH

Q-Marsailles - Locus
A Mar - Gas
A Spa S A Mar - Gas

R-Moscow - nolispe
A Sev S F BLA - Rum
A War - Ukr
A Sil - War
F BOT - Swe
A Nwy S F BOT - Swe

S-Munich - Mael
A Mun - Ber
A Pru - Ber

T-Naples - C'nor
A Apu - Nap

V-Paris - Splynn
A Par S A Mar - Gas

X-Rome - Deathslayer7
F ION S A Apu - Nap

Y-Rumania - Murska
A Arm - Sev

Z-Serbia - Spate
A Ber - Gre
F Gre - Aeg
A Bul H

2-Spain - IcemanJRC
F Por - Spa/nc

A Vie - Tri
A Bud S A Rum

A Ven - Rom
F Nap - Rom

8-Vienna - TsukikoJ
A Rum S A Sev

Retreats! Due by Saturday at 10pm
Denmark F Den Disbands
Denmark F Swe Disbands
Venice F Nap must disband or retreat to Tys

Builds! Due by Sunday at 10pm (assuming Venice takes retreat)
London Builds 1
Moscow Builds 1
Trieste Builds 1

Dearly Departed (15 players left)
Jamin - Budapest
Niezck - Denmark

Spring 1905 Orders are due Thursday 2/2 at 10pm PST

Makleveh
2012-01-27, 01:57 PM
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Murska
2012-01-27, 02:14 PM
Serbia are you nuts? :smalleek:

Niezck
2012-01-27, 02:18 PM
Well, it was fun, but I knew I was going out this turn. Have fun the rest of you! :smallsmile:

nolispe
2012-01-27, 02:19 PM
Makes complete sense, actually. You're a much easier target than I am, and my growth has slowed and is about to stop utterly, so I'm no longer the game-eating threat.

I'd offer my assistance, but to be honest I'm looking forward to the annhilation of those pushy Turks. :smallamused:

Murska
2012-01-27, 02:26 PM
Um...

There's never a moment where a growing player will stop growing before his enemies outnumber him on a front. Currently you have 3-4 armies facing his front, with him at 3 supply centers - basically if he loses one or you gain one, he cannot ever possibly stop you anymore, no matter what he does. He also knows that he's completely unable to gain a single center by attacking us, because we're at 3 centers and he's at 3, while defender always wins. Plus, if we'd have gotten Sevastopol, which we might have as far as he knew, his attack would've provoked a Fleet build and doomed him to a losing battle against a superior opponent.

Now he moved on us, so we have to move back to defend, you'll eat Rumania, then Budapest and Vienna, then Serbia, Bulgaria and Trieste, get a fleet and walz over to Turkey. Game over for everyone except London, who'll have eaten France and Spain by then.

nolispe
2012-01-27, 02:34 PM
I doubt it. Moving into the Balkans would provoke a war with everyone in the region, for the reasons you stated. Of course, I have been provided with a nice little Casus Belli from the Turks, so I might be able to justify sending something down there - and, of course, that means that it shifts from 3 v 3 to 4/5 v 3, and you die.
Incidentally, I can't fully mobilise in the Balkans for an invasion, because of Germany and that area, but I can spare an army or two to eliminate two threats to my home territories.

Makleveh
2012-01-27, 02:36 PM
London Herald

Oh snap! The Balkans.

Deathslayer7
2012-01-27, 02:43 PM
Frustrations in Rome!

Rome leaders are now organizing attempts to regain control of Rome after being ousted. So far attempts at negotiations have failed. They have started to retaliate with force.

Mael
2012-01-27, 03:35 PM
Incidentally, I can't fully mobilise in the Balkans for an invasion, because of Germany and that area, but I can spare an army or two to eliminate two threats to my home territories.
I don't know what you're talking about. You have absolutely nothing to fear from Germany and should consider yourself free to spread your conquering armies south. I particularly think the Viennese exile in Rumania has just nominated himself to be your next conquest.

TBFProgrammer
2012-01-27, 04:13 PM
((

Now he moved on us, so we have to move back to defend, you'll eat Rumania,

I particularly think the Viennese exile in Rumania has just nominated himself to be your next conquest.

What is with all the hate against Vienna in Rumania? I quite like having him there, and hope is he able to survive the rest of the game simply by remaining the lynch-pin in the region's politics.))

Indeed, the newly reformed Austria prefers to carry out all diplomatic negotiations with its Eastern neighbors within the neutral territory of Rumania.

Austria reformed:
Great was the rejoicing Today as Kurt von Programmer officially reformed the state of Austria-Hungary. The new government urges previously unified nations to end hostilities amongst their peoples and restore Europe to the prosperity it once enjoyed, whilst applauding the efforts of Russia and Great Britain for mobilizing their people to aid in the restoration of peace to nations beyond their own borders.

((Edit: @thewamp: the seasons are all messed up, you want Fall 1904 before the maps and Spring 1905 for the next due date))

IcemanJRC
2012-01-27, 04:55 PM
Spain Quarterly

WHAT IS GOING ON, I DON'T EVEN.

Murska
2012-01-27, 05:23 PM
My dislike of Vienna stems from two facts - one, they're in my home, two, they just made it impossible for me to ever get anywhere in this game again.

Also, nolispe, stop pretending Diplomacy has anything to do with real politics. You don't need reasons to go to war, you don't need to defend if you're stronger, you don't need to rest or recover. You attack, attack and attack, and all you need is enough troops to continue attacking and enough allies to be able to attack only one weaker foe at a time. You're never going to get me, and hopefully nobody else either, to believe that you're just going to stop moving now and put up full hold orders for the rest of the game.

Mael
2012-01-27, 05:57 PM
((What is with all the hate against Vienna in Rumania? I quite like having him there, and hope is he able to survive the rest of the game simply by remaining the lynch-pin in the region's politics.))

No hate against him from me, I just think it was a very .... interesting move for him to do. I really hope it works out for him, I just don't think it will.

TsukikoJ
2012-01-27, 07:24 PM
I'm not too worried about it working out for me. I'm just supporting the player who is doing the best at talking to me.

thewamp
2012-01-28, 03:43 PM
Retreats

Fleet Naples disbands

Shular
2012-01-28, 04:21 PM
I'm a little confused. The map says Spring 1904, the next orders due are fall 1904, but builds first. I'm pretty sure there's a typo or two in there.

Oh, and for the record, it appears Rumania and I are the only ones actually trying to stop Moscow. If the rest of you can't put aside your differences to stop him we may as well concede the game to him now. Especially with Serbia about to attack us, it's pretty much a done deal.

thewamp
2012-01-29, 12:10 AM
I'm a little confused. The map says Spring 1904, the next orders due are fall 1904, but builds first. I'm pretty sure there's a typo or two in there.

Whoops, forgot to change that. Fixed.

nolispe
2012-01-29, 06:54 PM
My dislike of Vienna stems from two facts - one, they're in my home, two, they just made it impossible for me to ever get anywhere in this game again.

Also, nolispe, stop pretending Diplomacy has anything to do with real politics. You don't need reasons to go to war, you don't need to defend if you're stronger, you don't need to rest or recover. You attack, attack and attack, and all you need is enough troops to continue attacking and enough allies to be able to attack only one weaker foe at a time. You're never going to get me, and hopefully nobody else either, to believe that you're just going to stop moving now and put up full hold orders for the rest of the game.

What? Of course Diplomacy has things to do with real politics. In fact, it's almost the distilled essence of politics - it is, after all, about the flow and change of alignment, and the shifts in the balance of power. In this case, I'm fractionally ahead of London, but neither of us can really gain by attacking each other - however, it is true that resistance to my advance must be managed carefully. For instance, I don't intend to attack Rumania, because it's an important ally for me, serving such valuable roles as preventing pushy turks attacking me.

And yes, I'm not going to just give hold orders. But I do expect you to believe that resistance is roughly proportional to my expansion, that I have extremely large borders, and that Turkey was not attacking me out of kind and benevolent altruism.
Moreover, I do expect people to believe that I, being one SC ahead of London and having a much larger border, am THE BIGGEST THREAT EVAR and everyone needs to ally with Murska to drive me off.

Murska
2012-01-29, 07:54 PM
No, Diplomacy has strategy, tactics and diplomacy, no politics. You don't have any internal dissent, barring extreme cases of schizophrenia.

And I expect everybody bordering you to align against you, just as I expect everybody bordering London to align against him. Doing anything else is suicidal in a game where it's completely impossible to coexist with a stronger neighbour in the long-term.

Thrice Dead Cat
2012-01-29, 09:51 PM
No, Diplomacy has strategy, tactics and diplomacy, no politics. You don't have any internal dissent, barring extreme cases of schizophrenia.

And I expect everybody bordering you to align against you, just as I expect everybody bordering London to align against him. Doing anything else is suicidal in a game where it's completely impossible to coexist with a stronger neighbour in the long-term.

That or you are incredibly too trusting, which leads to the eventual knife-back disease.

thewamp
2012-01-30, 11:50 PM
Winter 1904
http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg818/scaled.php?server=818&filename=chaosf1904b.png&res=medium

thewamp
2012-01-31, 07:38 PM
Niezck is looking for a replacement for england in his game of standard diplomacy (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=227945). PM him if you're interested.

Zjoot
2012-02-01, 08:58 AM
And you're garunteed at least one friend because I always root for England.

thewamp
2012-02-02, 12:26 AM
This is your 24 hour warning

thewamp
2012-02-03, 12:32 PM
Spring 1905

http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/4210/chaoss1905morders.png
http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/1086/chaosf1905m.png

A-Ankara - Shular
A Con H
F BLA S A Con

K-Holland - Pelfaid
F Hol H
F Kie S F Hol
F Den - NTH

P-London - Makleveh
F Bel S F NTH
F NTH S F Bel
F Lon S F NTH
F Bre - ENG
F MAO S A Spa - Por

Q-Marsailles - Locus
A Spa - Por
A Gas - Par

R-Moscow - nolispe
A Nwy - Swe
F Swe - BAL
A Mos - Lvn
A War - Sil
A Ukr - War
A Sev S A Rum

S-Munich - Mael
A Mun - Ruh
A Pru - Ber

T-Naples - C'nor
NMR

V-Paris - Splynn
A Par - Bre

X-Rome - Deathslayer7
NMR

Y-Rumania - Murska
A Arm - Smy

Z-Serbia - Spate
A Bul - Ser
A Gre - Ser
F AEG - Smy

2-Spain - IcemanJRC
F Por - Spa/nc

A Tri - Ven
A Vie - Tri
A Bud S A Rum

A Ven - Tyr
A Rom S F ION - Nap

8-Vienna - TsukikoJ
NMR

No Retreats!

Fall 1905 Orders are due Monday 2/6 at 10pm PST

Zjoot
2012-02-03, 01:10 PM
Awww, I was rooting for you, Spain. Even though you did kill me. But Portugal really is an impossible position to hold or attack from if you don't have any help.

TBFProgrammer
2012-02-03, 06:05 PM
Austria-Hungary strikes back:
Austrian troops liberated dozens of political prisoners as they marched across Venice this spring. The recent regime change in that country had created much unrest and the forces of peace were determined to end the revolutions that threatened to extend throughout the Italian peninsula.

Venetian forces move against Germany:
Austrian officials revealed Today that the Venetian government had planned a full scale exodus from Italy, aimed at capturing Southern Germany. The purported reason was to force the German peoples to wage war with Russia. While Austrian officials respect the rights of governments to declare war on other nations, they reject the enslaving of another nations populace to such a cause.

Serbian war-games have ended:
Austria would like to commend the First Battalion of Serbia for its excellent display of tactics and command during the first annual Serbian war-games.

IcemanJRC
2012-02-03, 06:12 PM
Awww, I was rooting for you, Spain. Even though you did kill me. But Portugal really is an impossible position to hold or attack from if you don't have any help.

I kept forgetting I was still in this game so I never really asked for any help...

Thrice Dead Cat
2012-02-03, 07:27 PM
Venice Endangered!
Native Venetians responded to the reformed-Austrian nation's tales of "liberation" with decries that troop movements were no more than a training regiment while attempting to reform the one-true Italian government,

Pelfaid
2012-02-06, 09:20 PM
Dutch Herald
In these troubled times, even the Royal Family is divided on policy. Reports coming out of the palace claim that the Baron's wife has told her husband to auction off the Dutch territories to the highest bidder and take her on a vacation. When asked for comment the Baron had this to say, "We would never forsake the sacrifices our soldiers have made and even if we were to do this, where would I take my lady with the world in turmoil."

thewamp
2012-02-06, 11:29 PM
Whoops, 2 hour warning!
Get those orders in!

thewamp
2012-02-07, 01:08 PM
Fall 1905

http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/2270/chaosf1905morders.png
http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/2705/chaosf1905r.png

A-Ankara - Shular
A Con H
F BLA S A Con

K-Holland - Pelfaid
F Den - NTH
F Kie - Den
F Hol - Bel

P-London - Makleveh
F Bel - Hol
F NTH - Den
F Lon - NTH
F ENG S F Lon - NTH
F MAO - Bre

Q-Marsailles - Locus
A Par S F MAO - Bre
A Por H

R-Moscow - nolispe
A Lvn - Den
A Swe S A Lvn - Den
F BAL C A Lvn - Den
A War - Pru
A Sil S A Tyr - Mun
A Sev S A Rum

S-Munich - Mael
A Ber - Mun
A Ruh S F Hol - Bel

T-Naples - C'nor
A Nap - Rom

V-Paris - Splynn
NMR

X-Rome - Deathslayer7
F ION - Gre

Y-Rumania - Murska
A Arm - Smy

Z-Serbia - Spate
A Gre - Ser
F AEG S A Bul
A Bul - Rum

2-Spain - IcemanJRC
No Units

A Tri - Ser
A Bud S A Tri - Ser
A Ven S A Nap - Rom

A Rom - Ven
A Tyr - Mun

8-Vienna - TsukikoJ
A Rum S A Sev

Retreats due Wednesday at 10pm!
Paris A Bre may disband or retreat to pic, gas
London F Bel may disband or retreat to pic
Holland F Den may disband or retreat to hel, ska
Venice A Rom may disband or retreat to tus, apu

Builds due Thursday at 10pm! (assuming retreats are taken)
London disbands 1
Marsailles builds 2
Moscow builds 1
Munich removes 1
Naples builds 1
Paris removes 1
Serbia removes 1
Trieste builds 2
Venice removes 1

Dearly Departed (13 players left)
IcemanJRC - Spain
Splynn - Paris

Spring 1906 Orders are due Monday 2/13 at 10pm PST

Lady Serpentine
2012-02-07, 01:36 PM
Er... I believe you meant to type that I attacked Rome, not Venice, considering it's now under my control on the map... :smallconfused:

thewamp
2012-02-07, 02:16 PM
Er... I believe you meant to type that I attacked Rome, not Venice, considering it's now under my control on the map... :smallconfused:

Fixed. That was a typo on my part.

Thrice Dead Cat
2012-02-07, 04:04 PM

Fixed. That was a typo on my part.

All I can say is "drat." This is what I get for not testing my maneuvers in Jdip first. C'Nor, I hope you have better luck reforming Italy than I did.:smalltongue:

Splynn
2012-02-07, 04:40 PM
And with that, Paris is done. It was wonderful playing with all of you; good luck in the future of this game!

TBFProgrammer
2012-02-07, 05:32 PM
Horrors uncovered in Serbia:
Austrian-Hungary forces liberated Serbian people Today. Forces were sent to investigate allegations that the recently completed war-games involved a number of civilian regiments and were conducted with live rounds. While no proof has yet been found to verify these allegations, the state that the people of Serbia were living in has been described as nothing short of appalling.

War ends in Iberia:
The rogue armies that had caused so many problems in Spain and France were finally defeated by the combined effort of Marseilles and London forces this year.

thewamp
2012-02-09, 05:04 PM
Retreats
Paris A Bre retreats to pic
London F Bel autodisbands because it doesn't really matter what he chose, the result was the same.
Holland F Den retreats to SKA
Venice A Rom disbands

Shular
2012-02-09, 05:30 PM
Have to hand it to Moscow. He really knows how to make use of those single centre powers who just want to stay in the game. A shame the lesser powers can't work together to stop him.

TBFProgrammer
2012-02-11, 12:35 PM
Um, can we get builds up please? Some of us really need to see those before we can figure out negotiations.

thewamp
2012-02-11, 01:25 PM
Winter 1905 - Builds

http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/6339/chaosf1905borders.png
http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/705/chaoss1906m.png

thewamp
2012-02-11, 07:09 PM
**** I made a mistake

Moscow had a build. The winter post has been updated.

thewamp
2012-02-13, 11:18 AM
This is your 14 hour warning

Deathslayer7
2012-02-15, 07:34 PM
*rustles the bird cage*

Deathslayer7
2012-02-15, 07:37 PM
*rustles the bird cage*

TBFProgrammer
2012-02-16, 08:13 PM
*rustles the wamp cage*

Thrice Dead Cat
2012-02-16, 08:23 PM
Checking in here as well. I'd expect it to be quite on the western front, but this is a bit much.:smalltongue:

Pelfaid
2012-02-16, 10:06 PM
I don't know, given my situation I am quite fine with the wait. It gives me longer to plot how to survive.

Mael
2012-02-17, 03:21 AM
I kinda want to know if I'm dead yet. I don't think plotting can save me here :)

thewamp
2012-02-17, 04:57 AM
Gah! Whoa! Somehow I forgot and missed Deathslayer's bump. Odd. And I am not conscious enough right now. Right, this will be done within 15 hours. Sorry for the delay.

And in the future, people should feel free to message me, and so forth.

thewamp
2012-02-18, 07:59 AM
Spring 1906

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/9050/chaoss1906morders.png
http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/5092/chaosf1906m.png

A-Ankara - Shular
A Con - Bul
F BLA S A Con - Bul

K-Holland - Pelfaid
F Bel - NTH
F Kie - Hol
F SKA S F NTH - Nwy

P-London - Makleveh
NMR

Q-Marsailles - Locus
A Por - Spa
F Spa/sc - WES
A Par - Bur
F Mar - LYO

R-Moscow - nolispe
F Stp - Nwy
A Swe S A Den
A Den S F BAL - Kie
F BAL - Kie
A Pru - Ber
A Sil S A Pru - Ber
A Sev S A Rum

S-Munich - Mael
A Ber - Sil

T-Naples - C'nor
A Nap - Apu
A Rom - Ven

X-Rome - Deathslayer7
F ION - Gre

Y-Rumania - Murska
A Smy - Arm

Z-Serbia - Spate
NMR

F Tri - Alb
F Vie - Tri
A Ven - Rom
A Bud S A Ser
A Ser S F ION - Gre

A Mun S A Pru - Ber

8-Vienna - TsukikoJ
A Rum S A Sev

No Retreats!

Fall 1906 Orders are due Wednesday 2/22 at 10pm PST

nolispe
2012-02-18, 07:55 PM
Clear your PM boxes, peoples!

Zjoot
2012-02-21, 09:05 PM
You mentioned in Diplomacy Central that you needed a replacement for Makleveh. Can I maybe have that spot?

thewamp
2012-02-21, 09:46 PM
You mentioned in Diplomacy Central that you needed a replacement for Makleveh. Can I maybe have that spot?

Sounds good, you've got it.

Zjoot
2012-02-21, 11:17 PM
I don't know if it would be possible for me to get a short extension, would it? One or two days is all I'm asking, but if not, I'll probably be able to get some orders in if I have to...

thewamp
2012-02-22, 01:29 AM
yep, given that you're a replacement, we can extend by 24 hours.

Orders now due thursday at the usual time!

thewamp
2012-02-23, 03:41 AM
This is your 24 hour warning

thewamp
2012-02-24, 05:53 AM
I've decided to start another game. Here's a link (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=233733) if you want in.

Also, a large number of orders are late, and since we're down to (basically) 11 people, I'm willing to be a bit lenient. But get those orders in!

thewamp
2012-02-25, 07:43 PM
In case anyone hasn't noticed, we've now reached a small enough size that I'm willing to delay slightly for players. I've got a few order sets out and I'm giving people maybe 1 more day since we're coming off my epic "forget to do orders for a week".

thewamp
2012-02-27, 04:34 PM
Sorry for the delays, orders up in 2-3 hours.

thewamp
2012-02-28, 01:50 AM
Fall 1906

http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/2526/chaosf1906morders.png
http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/1811/chaosf1906r.png

A-Ankara - Shular
A Bul - Rum
F BLA S A Arm - Sev

K-Holland - Pelfaid
F SKA - NTH
F Hol S F SKA - NTH
F Bel S F SKA - NTH

P-London - The Grimmace
F NTH - Bel
F ENG S F NTH - Bel
F Bre H
F Lon - NTH

Q-Marsailles - Locus (we may need a replacement)
NMR

R-Moscow - nolispe
A Sev S A Rum
A Sil - Mun
A Ber S A Sil - Mun
F Kie S A Den
A Den S F Kie
A Swe S F Nwy
F Nwy H

S-Munich - Mael
No Units

T-Naples - C'nor
A Apu - Ven
A Rom S A Apu - Ven

X-Rome - Deathslayer7
F Gre H

Y-Rumania - Murska
A Arm - Sev

Z-Serbia - Spate
No Units

A Ven H
A Tri S A Ven
F Alb - ION
A Bud - Rum
A Ser S A Bud - Rum

A Mun H

8-Vienna - TsukikoJ
A Rum S A Sev

Retreats due Wednesday at 10pm
Holland F Bel may disband or retreat to Pic
Moscow A Sev may disband or retreat to Ukr, Mos
Venice A Mun disbands
Vienna A Rum may disband or retreat to Gal, Ukr

Builds due Thursday at 10pm (assuming all retreats are taken)
Ankara - build 1
Holland - remove 2
London - build 1
Moscow - build 2
Rome - build 1
Rumania - build 1
Trieste - build 1
Vienna - remove 1

Dearly Departed (9 Players Left)
Mael - Munich
Spate - Serbia
Thrice Dead Cat - Venice
TsukikoJ - Vienna

Spring 1907 Orders are due Monday 3/5 at 10pm PST

thewamp
2012-02-28, 01:57 AM
Hey guys, remember this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12333619&postcount=133)

nolispe
2012-02-28, 02:44 AM
What about it?

thewamp
2012-02-28, 04:47 AM
What about it?

Just how many people have been eliminated. And how different the map looks. I dunno, I was pointing out the very obvious.

Murska
2012-02-28, 09:47 AM
I am, surprise surprise, building a fleet in Smyrna.

Pelfaid
2012-02-28, 03:37 PM
Since I am desperately trying to survive my fleets in Hol and Bel will disband.

thewamp
2012-02-28, 03:42 PM
Just a reminder that you don't have to post what you're doing in the thread, you can send it to me by email or PM

Zjoot
2012-02-28, 07:40 PM
I'll build a fleet in Edinburgh.

thewamp
2012-03-02, 12:16 AM
Winter 1906 - Retreats

http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/1471/chaosf1906borders.png
http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/7732/chaoss1907m.png

EDIT: Weird - apparently the retreats didn't post. Here they are:

F bel disbands
A mun disbands
A rum disbands
A sev retreats to ukr

Spate
2012-03-02, 04:36 PM
It's a bit after my death, but I wanted to say that this was a blast. I am so glad to have played this with you guys. I have wanted to play Chaos for at least 4 years.

Zjoot
2012-03-02, 07:01 PM
You could always take Marsielles spot. :smallwink:

Splynn
2012-03-03, 12:12 AM
I find it quite silly that the two players who conspired from the beginning to take me out both disappeared shortly thereafter e.e.

TBFProgrammer
2012-03-03, 11:05 AM
You could always take Marsielles spot. :smallwink:

I have to object to this plan. Marseilles can influence some of the players that contributed to the elimination of Serbia.

thewamp
2012-03-03, 01:02 PM
I have to object to this plan. Marseilles can influence some of the players that contributed to the elimination of Serbia.

Yes I agree. However, now that everyone in the area has left the game, if no one objects and Splynn is interested, he could take over Marsailles.

Splynn
2012-03-03, 02:33 PM
I'd be okay with that if and only if nobody else objects. I don't want to make anyone uncomfortable by taking over Marseilles.

But I'm also okay with it because I'm familiar with the politics in the area, so my taking over Marseilles will be much less of a change than a new player entirely. And I don't want you guys to be without the player; so I'd be willing to take over solely to get the game going again as well.

But if anybody doesn't like it, then that's absolutely fine. If you don't want to make a post here because you're afraid others might be upset, just PM myself or thewamp. I imagine both of us would be sympathetic to the objection.

Deathslayer7
2012-03-03, 09:19 PM
Personally I think what matters most here is my objection and probably C'nor's. With an NMR France, we would get the benefit here.

That being said. Here is what I decided.

Go right ahead. :smallbiggrin:

Personally I would prefer to have an actual France playing.

thewamp
2012-03-03, 10:48 PM
With an NMR France, we would get the benefit here.

To be clear, "no one plays marsailles" isn't an option. It's either splynn or someone else. If you hadn't wanted splynn because of grudges or some such, that'd be totally fair though. I obviously have no more knowledge of the politics of this game than a random observer.

Anyway, it's been 24 hours and no one's objected, so Splynn, you can feel free to take over Marsailles by posting in the thread something to that effect.

Splynn
2012-03-03, 11:41 PM
I, the recently exiled emperor of Paris, have- through a very deliberate and carefully laid out set of events- taken over the nation of Marseilles. As you may imagine, the people of Paris are quite thrilled. And while Paris is my home, I now live in Marseilles and will work for the betterment of all within my nation.

You may- as before- contact me via PMs. I did not have an ongoing discourse with anyone left in this game. Spain and Portugal are out, London is no longer here, Marseilles is not here either. So I literally have no alliances, agreements, or contacts at all at this point.

You may think of me as an entirely new player, but I am much more aware of the situation than that would indicate.

thewamp
2012-03-05, 11:21 AM

thewamp
2012-03-06, 12:16 PM
Spring 1907

http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/1442/chaoss1907morders.png
http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/7538/chaosf1907m.png

A-Ankara - Shular
F SEV S A Bla
A Bul H
A Con S A Bul

K-Holland - Pelfaid
F NTH - SKA

P-London - The Grimmace
F Lon - NTH
F ENG - Lon
F Bre - ENG
F Bel - Hol
F Edi - NWG

Q-Marsailles - Splynn
A Bur H
A Spa - Mar
F LYO - Tus
F WES - TYS

R-Moscow - nolispe
A Mun - Ruh
A Ber - Mun
F Kie - HEL
A Den - Kie
A Swe - Den
F Nwy - NWG
F Stp - Nwy
A Ukr S A Mos - Sev
A Mos - Sev

T-Naples - C'nor
A Apu H
A Rom H

X-Rome - Deathslayer7
F Gre H
F Tun S F ION - TYS

Y-Rumania - Murska
F Smy - AEG
A Sev S A Rum - Ukr

A Ven - Rom
A Tri - Alb
A Vie - Tri
A Ser S A Rum
A Rum H
F ION - TYS

No Retreats

Fall 1907 Orders are due Thursday 3/8 at 10pm PST

thewamp
2012-03-08, 11:18 AM

thewamp
2012-03-09, 05:57 PM
Fall 1907

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/3411/chaosf1907morders.png
http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/3761/chaosf1907r.png

A-Ankara - Shular
F BLA S A Sev
A Con S A Bul
A Bul S F AEG - Gre

K-Holland - Pelfaid
F SKA - Nor (illegal order, "Nor" is unclear) Whoops - there was a correction and the actual order should be to nwy. This changes nothing so I'm not fixing it in the map.

P-London - The Grimmace
F Edi - NWG
F Lon H
F ENG - Bel
F NTH S F Hol
F Hol H

Q-Marsailles - Splynn
F Tus - Rom
F WES - LYO
A Bur H
A Mar S A Bur

R-Moscow - nolispe
A Mos - Sev
A Ukr S A Mos - Sev
F Nwy - Swe
A Den - Swe
F HEL - NTH
A Kie - Hol
A Ruh S A Kie - Hol
A Mun S A Ruh

T-Naples - C'nor
NMR

X-Rome - Deathslayer7
F Gre H
F Tun H

Y-Rumania - Murska
A Sev S A Rum - Ukr
F AEG - Gre

A Ven S A Tus - Rom
A Tri - Bud
A Alb - Gre
A Ser S A Alb - Gre
A Rum - Bul

Retreats due Saturday at 10pm
Rome F Gre may disband or retreat to Ion

Builds due Sunday at 10pm (assumes retreat was taken)
Holland disbands F Ska
London - build 1
Marsailles - build 1
Moscow - build 1
Naples disbands A Apu
Rome - disband 1
Trieste - build 2

Dearly Departed (7 players left - the size of a regular diplomacy game)
C'nor - Naples
Pelfaid - Holland

Spring 1908 Orders are due Wednseady 3/14 at 10pm PDT

Pelfaid
2012-03-09, 06:47 PM
And with that utter idiocy I will have to take my leave. It has been a great time and I am glad I made it this far. Till the next war.
-the Baron

TBFProgrammer
2012-03-09, 07:02 PM
Austria-Hungary Rejects Turkish Ultimatum
Long has the split government of Turkey pressed for war in the East, claiming that the sovereign nation of Russia was a menace, going so far as to pose an ultimatum to the Austrian peoples. Deliberations of the Austrian nobility over this matter have concluded that Russia, who has always responded amicably to Austria's diplomatic envoys, has done nothing do deserve the allegations brought against it. Therefore, the Austrian government has resolved to reject, in full, the terms of the Turkish ultimatum.

Italian Threat Eliminated
The people's of Austria-Hungary rejoiced to learn that the rogue traitorous tyrant of Naples has been captured. Police forces throughout the region continue to search for the corrupt supporters of the regime.

Holland Pirates Lose Final Safe-Harbor
The Pirates of the northern seas find themselves trapped at sea as Russian and English ships sweep the northern coast lines. No Army

Deathslayer7
2012-03-09, 07:20 PM
Fleet Greece retreat to Ion.

Disband Tunis

thewamp
2012-03-09, 07:30 PM
List of home supply centers
This will be reposted in the first post.

A-Ankara - Shular
Ankara
Constantinople
1 remaining

P-London - The Grimmace
London
Edinburgh
1 remaining

Q-Marsailles - Splynn
Marsailles
Spain
1 remaining

R-Moscow - nolispe
Moscow
Warsaw
St. Petersburg

X-Rome - Deathslayer7
Rome
Tunis
1 remaining

Y-Rumania - Murska
Rumania
Smyrna
1 remaining

Trieste
Vienna
1 remaining

thewamp
2012-03-10, 12:26 AM
If it makes you feel better Pelfaid you absolutely submitted the order correction before orders were processed. It doesn't actually change the outcome, so I'm just going to make a note in the orders above and not bother with the map. But you should feel less foolish.

Zjoot
2012-03-10, 08:29 PM
Austria-Hungary Rejects Turkish Ultimatum
Long has the split government of Turkey pressed for war in the East, claiming that the sovereign nation of Russia was a menace, going so far as to pose an ultimatum to the Austrian peoples. Deliberations of the Austrian nobility over this matter have concluded that Russia, who has always responded amicably to Austria's diplomatic envoys, has done nothing do deserve the allegations brought against it. Therefore, the Austrian government has resolved to reject, in full, the terms of the Turkish ultimatum.

This is supremely irritating. I just can't understand why you seem so reluctant to give anyone who isn't Moscow a chance at winning.

nolispe
2012-03-10, 09:01 PM
Possibly because
A) Ultimatums are really damn annoying
and B) If things continue as they are now, I and him both are roughly even and grow at roughly the same rate, meaning there's a fairly good chance that either of us will win or we draw, whereas if he decides to get bogged down in a massive war with me, who knows who wins.

Zjoot
2012-03-10, 10:30 PM
Well, yeah, they're annoying, but I don't see why everyone puts their emotions so high above strategy all the time.

And with him at a comfortable four centers below you, even growth means that you get the win. Especially because I think you've got a few more areas to expand to than he does. I don't know, I'm obviously biased because you've got me surrounded, which makes me nervous, but I still think it's a bad decision. Your Diplomacy is pretty convincing though--If you weren't as powerful as you are I would probably be working with you a lot more--so I can see how he would be working for you. I just don't think he'll come out of it very well off.

nolispe
2012-03-10, 10:41 PM
Because we play the game to have fun. For my part at least, winning is a positive and incidental thing that might happen, not the goal - and working with people that are unpleasant to work with is, well, unpleasant, and thus not worthwhile, even if it might be efficent from a strategic perspective.

Here, however, I'm only two centers above him, and the Turks were never going to be able to assist him in a war against me - it's easy enough to see that their armies would be left facing his vunerable flank as we stalemated along the Munich-Warsaw-Moscow line, so it's probably fair to say that even from a purely strategic perspective, he's doing the right thing in telling them to stuff off.

Incidentally, I'm still totally open to a deal with you, if you want to call off this whole "surrouding" thing.

Shular
2012-03-11, 02:57 AM
To be fair, I never issued any ultimatums to TBFP. I've always been courteous, and have simply tried to convince him that Moscow is the biggest threat. I'm hoping that even TBFP will agree that I haven't been "unpleasant".

And the suggestion that we (Austria and Turkish alliance) couldn't work together against you doesn't work for me. Rumania and I have already demonstrated that two players adjacent to each other can work together. If either Smyrna or Constantinople had understood that at the beginning of the game, one of them would still be playing and the south-east would look a lot different.

Murska
2012-03-11, 06:23 AM
Me either. The ultimatum thing is just RP - all we've been doing is telling him (truthfully) that he will lose unless he attacks Moscow.

Like I mentioned to him, me and Shular have no possible method of attacking him right now, nor would we gain anything in the long-term from attacking him right after he attacks Moscow but before he breaks through, and we again don't have any way of attacking him after he's broken through and bought a couple more units.

I understand the stance of many people that they don't care about winning and want to play in their own way instead, but it is somewhat frustrating to those who do wish to win, as it is much more difficult to calculate what others would probably do. Things like taking a 'minor risk' and leaving a flank defenseless against a neighbour because both he and you can easily see that an attack on you would doom them both can actually be almost a certain defeat if the other player just happens to dislike your face for some reason. And some nations can gain advantages or disadvantages if certain other nations are not playing to win.

I try to take it as an additional challenge, though I always grumble when people do irrational moves.

Splynn
2012-03-11, 02:02 PM
I try to take it as an additional challenge, though I always grumble when people do irrational moves.

We're dealing with people. If there's one thing I've learned about people and how they interact with one another, it's that 'rational' plays no part.

Perhaps you'd more comfortable if you played with computers :smalltongue:.

That said, I agree that Trieste is putting himself in a poor position. He's cutting off his nose to spite his face. If he doesn't want to win, that's fine. But what he's doing is certainly going to get him there quickly.

Murska
2012-03-11, 02:16 PM
Nah, I've played all sorts of strategy games with both computers and humans for years and years. Humans are more interesting not only because they're better, but also because of the whole psychology angle. Finding a hole in the 'programming' of a human is usually more difficult and what's more, they fix those. Eventually, usually.

However, rationality still has its part to play while playing with humans. In fact, a certain class of players thrives on it and plays very logically. Generally they tend to annoy other players a lot and find it hard to understand other types of players. They also use more emotions than they think, priding themselves on their logic, and are the hardest kind of people to get to admit that they are wrong about something. They play well in 1v1s and tight teams with others like them, but worse in public team games, free-for-alls and such. They're often very good with the mechanics and tactics of the game, but their strategy and especially their psychology is lacking. And they often don't consider alternate viewpoints enough, especially the options other players have that don't support their own plans.

That was just in general, though, and obviously doesn't always apply in full. I don't want to write a book here.

But regardless, pretty much every other type of player plays rationally to a certain extent as well. We just notice it easily when they don't, but anyone who attempts to play the game to win at all does try for it. Not all use the same methods, many have 'codes of honour' that they don't break (a common one is trying to never betray an ally, for example) and many others consider some moves 'lame' or 'unfair' and don't use them. Some play just to mess around, but even they can be negotiated with provided you handle things in the proper manner.

Understanding people is the single most important thing to learn when it comes to multiplayer games, and that's because it is an universal factor that will always contribute to your win or loss.

Splynn
2012-03-11, 04:48 PM
I was just kidding with the computer part; no need to take it seriously.

And I disagree about the rational gameplay part. I play that way, apparently you play that way. I make the rational choice whenever possible, and plan out what I'm doing pretty far based on the best tactics within the scope of a given strategy.

But a lot of people do NOT play that way. They make the move that looks the best to them in the now. Maybe on here they do; even finding games on the internet requires a certain level of hardcore-gamerness. But even in gameshops and the like, most people make moves based on impulse and feelings.

It's the job of the rational gamer to account for those things. Playing based on logic means accounting for the human element. Which, as you've said, is what makes playing with other humans so much more fun than playing with computers.

Murska
2012-03-11, 05:18 PM
I didn't mean 'rational' as in 'the best possible' I meant 'rational' as in 'the move that looks to them as the one which will help them win'. I dare say most people choose many of their moves rationally, thinking about them. Most people also let emotions affect their choices. Myself included. There are often multiple good paths at a time and you can't know which one will lead to the better conclusion. If you're angry, you might make an aggressive attack. If you like Player A better than Player B, you might ally with him when both alliances are roughly equally viable.

TBFProgrammer
2012-03-12, 11:19 AM
While I will say that an ultimatum was inferred in the communication I received, in the nature that Turkey states that I will lose if I do not immediately drop everything and war with Russia, no explicit ultimatum was given.

When reading my headlines, bear in mind that I am writing them to the people of Austria-Hungary and they are supposed to be propaganda pieces. They reflect the previous turn from the point of view of a spin doctor trying to keep the populace on the side of the government.

They do not reflect how I view other players. For example, Pelfaid is identified as a pirate because if he was identified as a sovereign nation then Moscow would have been an aggressor in a war, which I just claimed him not to be. Further, he never once fielded an army, which makes pirate fit better.

Murska
2012-03-12, 11:55 AM
Nah, that was just a simple fact.

Zjoot
2012-03-12, 06:05 PM
Oh, didn't realize I had a build. Fleet in Edinbourgh please.

thewamp
2012-03-14, 09:27 PM
Er, this is your 3 hour warning

Splynn
2012-03-14, 09:37 PM
Err. Can we get a map with builds before orders are due? ;x

I still sent my orders in, but I reserve the right to change them if a map gets put up quickly. Not expecting it, nor that it will change my orders, but it would be nice to see.

TBFProgrammer
2012-03-14, 09:49 PM
Um, actually, I'm going to request that builds are reported and that the deadline is pushed back. We are supposed to know those, right?

Splynn
2012-03-14, 09:58 PM
Um, actually, I'm going to request that builds are reported and that the deadline is pushed back. We are supposed to know those, right?

Yea, builds are supposed to be known. They're in the winter and the orders are in the Spring. So we'd know the builds before the Spring orders are sent in and resolved.

In a game of people, having all of the solid information possible is pretty important.

TBFProgrammer
2012-03-14, 10:39 PM
Yea, builds are supposed to be known. They're in the winter and the orders are in the Spring. So we'd know the builds before the Spring orders are sent in and resolved.

In a game of people, having all of the solid information possible is pretty important.

Um, the "right?" was pretty much just jokey sarcasm.

Splynn
2012-03-14, 11:35 PM
Um, the "right?" was pretty much just jokey sarcasm.

Ah. Well I don't know you very well, and it's hard to get sarcasm across a computer screen without knowing the person well ;x. Sorry for misunderstanding.

Deathslayer7
2012-03-14, 11:43 PM
did builds ever get updated???

thewamp
2012-03-15, 10:16 PM
My god, I'm terrible at life. Not sure how that slipped my mind.

Winter 1907

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/3815/chaosf1907borders.png
http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/1418/chaoss1908mc.png

Marsailles declares Paris as his/her final home supply center.

Due to my screwup, you've got 24 more hours to get in orders. If you need it, I can delay that another 24.
Spring 1908 orders now due friday at 10pm

thewamp
2012-03-18, 06:02 PM
Spring 1908

http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/2378/chaoss1908morders.png
In this image I can't explain the x's over some of Trieste's support orders. Not sure what's going on there. But checking the system, I think it's just a graphical issue, so don't worry about it.
http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/3668/chaoss1908r.png

A-Ankara - Shular
A Bul H
A Con S A Bul
F BLA S A Sev

P-London - The Grimmace
F NWG - Nwy
F NTH - SKA
F Bel - Hol
F Edi - NTH

Q-Marsailles - Splynn
F LYO - WES
F Rom - TYS
A Mar - Pie
A Bur S F Bel
A Par - Gas

R-Moscow - nolispe
A Ruh - Bel
A Hol S A Ruh - Bel
A Mun H
F HEL - NTH
A Den H
F Nwy - SKA
F Stp/nc - Nwy
F BAR S F Stp/nc - Nwy
A Mos - Sev
A Ukr S A Mos - Sev

X-Rome - Deathslayer7
F ION - Nap

Y-Rumania - Murska
F AEG S A Bul
A Sev S A Rum - Ukr

F Nap - Rom
A Ven S F Nap - Rom
A Tri - Tyr
A Vie - Boh
A Ser S A Gre
A Gre S A Ser
A Bud S A Rum
A Rum S A Sev

Retreats due Monday at 10pm
London F Bel may disband or retreat to eng, pic

Fall 1908 Orders are due Thursday 3/22 at 10pm PDT

Lady Serpentine
2012-03-19, 05:27 AM
I died? Oh well... First time I've done so without being aware of it, I think.

Oh, and sorry about not sending orders in the past two turns; I've been sick, and it slipped my mind.

Splynn
2012-03-22, 12:33 AM
Where did London retreat Bel to?

thewamp
2012-03-22, 12:02 PM
He didn't yet. I'm double checking that he's still in this game, so...

Orders are delayed by 24 hours

Sorry.

thewamp
2012-03-23, 11:59 AM
Grimmace disbands. This is your 12 hour warning

thewamp
2012-03-25, 10:56 AM
Hey everyone, two things.

1) Slight delay since not everyone's sent in my orders. Sorry about the delay that already happened - I was flying across the country. Things got crazy.

2) We appear to have lost a player. Should I NMR them?

3) nolispe is going to be AWOL for a while very soon. Could be a couple of weeks, could be less, could be longer. What I'd like to do is just set these next set of orders coming up to be for a very long time (2ish weeks) and maybe delay them if necessary because losing our biggest player just seems like it would be unfortunate for the game. At some point though, it might become necessary. Your thoughts?

thewamp
2012-03-27, 08:12 AM
Please Post
When you see this. Read my questions one post up. I'll send PMs tonight to make sure people see this.

Deathslayer7
2012-03-27, 09:47 AM
Hey everyone, two things.

1) Slight delay since not everyone's sent in my orders. Sorry about the delay that already happened - I was flying across the country. Things got crazy.

2) We appear to have lost a player. Should I NMR them?

3) nolispe is going to be AWOL for a while very soon. Could be a couple of weeks, could be less, could be longer. What I'd like to do is just set these next set of orders coming up to be for a very long time (2ish weeks) and maybe delay them if necessary because losing our biggest player just seems like it would be unfortunate for the game. At some point though, it might become necessary. Your thoughts?

1) Happens to us all.

2) I rather find a replacement, than do NMR. NMR's always hurt, they never help.

3) I'm ok with delaying orders for two weeks or so, only problem is that I hope you dont lose the interest in this for the other players. The other choice would be to send in a replacement.

Murska
2012-03-27, 10:43 AM
1: No prob.

2: Replacement would be best.

3: Delay is ok.

TBFProgrammer
2012-03-27, 10:57 AM
Sorry, don' t really have a preference on most, and wouldn't feel comfortable voting on the one I do (I will go into details later, when they won't have any influence on everyone else).

Shular
2012-03-27, 01:19 PM
May as well delay.

thewamp
2012-03-27, 10:00 PM
Cool, okay.

We're officially on hiatus

I promise not to start anything up before April 9th

Ideally find some way to remember to check back on this site soon after that date if you don't check regularly and turn in orders if you haven't already. I'll see you all at that time (and I'll send out PMs and if you'd like me to email you or something if that's a better means of contact, or IM, send an email to the gmail account).

In the interim, I'll replace our missing player.

Splynn
2012-03-28, 04:00 PM
Sorry for being late. But I agree with everyone else, so it's not like it would have made a difference.