PDA

View Full Version : Dragonslayers IC thread

Pages : [1] 2 3

candycorn
2011-11-26, 02:31 AM
OOC/Initial Setup info: Party will begin in the ruins of the tundra town Scarlet Gorge. It's a small mining community of about 900 souls, and is named for the rubies that are found within the ore mined. Life is fairly harsh, with roughly half of the community used just for the food gathering needed to keep the town alive. Most of the remaining population supports the mining operations, which ensure that the monthly tributes to the draconic overseer are able to be made. A scant few souls provide carpentry, furrier, and smithy services for the town. Everyone available aids in the defense of the town, as needed, but honestly, there are few creature threats to the town, given the hunting in the area, and the harsh environment. The town is very insular, and very close knit. Travelers to this location are virtually nonexistant, having virtually no surplus goods after covering survival needs and tributes to the dragons.

The party has been very recently freed from capture. Each was betrayed by the humanoid races they thought were on their side, more or less, when the dragons visited horrors upon their towns after offensive actions. Following this, they were turned over to a group of Dragon Guards containing Alexander Marksen (stack's character), for transport to locations unknown (Marksen didn't know the location of the destination, as others were in charge of the prisoner transfer, as well as the equipment delivery).

However, you were all the change of heart in his backstory. He freed you and restored your gear to you, and in a swift strike, the rest of the guards for the trip were killed. The town of Scarlet Gorge was nearby, and, without any other means of shelter, you trudged in sub-zero conditions the few short miles to the small mining community.

Notes: Anyone who hasn't tied their backstory to another will be from a different town as any other. All towns you're from have a similar setup to the above. Monthly tributes sufficient to make the town non-viable for most trade. Traveling groups larger than one or two people are typically viewed with suspicion, and often questioned. This makes travel between towns highly dangerous for most, and while trade between towns isn't prohibited, persay, if a town is seen to have enough of a surplus for trade routes, their tribute requirement is generally seen as insufficient, and is raised accordingly.

Some towns fare better than others, and are allowed to more-or-less prosper, so long as they follow the unwritten rules (such as the trade one, above), and display token obesience to the dragons.

Scarlet gorge is not such a town.

The Dark Fiddler
2011-11-26, 09:23 AM
"So," Kragnu starts simply, trudging through the snow and pulling his cloak closer around him to try and keep warm. "What exactly are we going to do once we get to this town? A group as large as us... they're surely going to be suspicious. Not to mention the fact that we're traveling, rather ill-equipped, through this weather."

candycorn
2011-11-26, 09:37 AM
To clarify on Scarlet Gorge:The town used to be quite large, all the way up to the maximum that was allowed. Two consecutive months of less than sufficient tribute, and the tribute was lessened by 75%.

So was the population of the town along with about half the buildings. The remainder of the town is still lived in, but there are many hollowed out buildings, not quite in the town proper, which are considered town ruins. The buildings are open to the elements, without roofs, and in some sections, walls. It is on the very outermost edges of these ruins that you start.

TheFallenOne
2011-11-26, 01:04 PM
"Speak for yourself, fleshling. You choose to live in places like this, have millenia to adapt, and yet this little cold hurts you. What a sorry state to be in." The construct seemed unbothered by the conditions, and where it treated the snow melted, like an inner fire was burning in the metal husk.
"We are united by a task - kill the dragons to their last. Find out where the tributes go and we have our first target."

constant effect Endure Elements :smallcool:

Misaat
2011-11-26, 05:58 PM
" Ehehehehe . I cant wait for us to find those scaly beasts ... We'll put on a great show hehehe "

Teo says as he starts strumming the strings on his lute.

llamamushroom
2011-11-27, 12:00 AM
Myfanwy

With her feet drifting just above the frozen earth, Myfanwy was perhaps slightly less uncomfortable than her human compatriots. Nevertheless, the cold wind was enough to chill her to the bone underneath her shroud.

She was hanging behind the others, keeping as much distance between herself and the drake-lover as she could. I'm keeping my eye on you, Marksen. Byth Ag Anghofio.

Lifting her head at the words of the musician, she smiled and, in a voice that was surprisingly deep and rough, said, "I don't think they'll appreciate our performance, though."

Today's vestige is Naberius. She bound it at some point in the morning, out of sight of the rest of you chaps.

Binding Check (DC 15): [roll0]

Naberius's Skills: Tumble, Sleight of Hand

candycorn
2011-11-27, 12:29 AM
@llama:as you were a prisoner in the morning, "out of sight" would have been a bit difficult to attain. The symbol could have been drawn easily enough in the snow, but guards do generally keep a watchful eye over prisoners, and typically keep them more or less together, to simplify monitoring them.

@All:Along with speech/roleplay/etc, feel free to send me information on what you'd like to be doing in this particular location.

TheFallenOne
2011-11-27, 07:36 AM
"What matters is our performance in battle", Furywing said roughly. While it did have a mouth, neither it nor any other facial features seemed to move while it spoke, as far as it was noticable beneath the strange mask that seemed fused to its body; a hideous reptilian visage of red-brown scales, conjoined with a blue-white helmet reminiscent of a frost worms head.
"So how do we extract information from the locals, intimidation or persuasion? We do have plenty of Dragon Guard uniforms avaiable if a ruse is what it takes."

stack
2011-11-27, 08:41 PM
Alexander (http://www.dndsheets.net/view.php?id=25533)

The blond man draws his cloak tighter around his chest. Was I right? Are these the ones who will overthrow the dragons, or did I just jump in without looking again? Stuck in the frozen waste, with that necromancer no less. Not that I can trust any of them, not yet. Keep it light, feel them out.

His free hand stays ever near his blade, the force of long habit. "Performance? I hear they like a good song and dance before dinner. Let's not be dinner just yet. Crimson cloaks will keep locals from questioning us too much, but if anyone has the rank to ask for orders... "

Be better to split-up, attract less attention...but I'm not ready to show them my back.

"Go in, look important, ask stupid questions? They'll think us officers for certain." A thin smile crosses numb lips.

TheFallenOne
2011-11-27, 09:18 PM
"Better make it quick, just tell them we need to deliver something and demand the route to the dragon overseer."
Furywing spread his wings with metallic creaks. "I won't fit into a uniform with these anyway, I could go out for some aerial scouting. Chances are the dragons lair isn't hidden.""

if we want to play dress-up, Mending and Prestidigitation should remove cuts and bodily fluids from the uniforms, but that won't take care of my wings. Maybe there's an amulet or other form of insignia though I could wear

llamamushroom
2011-11-27, 11:53 PM
@llama:as you were a prisoner in the morning, "out of sight" would have been a bit difficult to attain. The symbol could have been drawn easily enough in the snow, but guards do generally keep a watchful eye over prisoners, and typically keep them more or less together, to simplify monitoring them.

Oy, vey. Right. Stupid llama. Ok, not bound yet, but when we split up it'll be one of the first things she does. Mind if I keep that binding check? I'd rather not feel the compulsion to lecture everyone for 6 seconds every time we pass a soap box. :smallwink:

Also, switching to present tense like everyone else. Silly me.

Myfanwy

"And let the dragons know we're coming? I'd rather have the element of surprise if we can - the townspeople will know something, and they will tell us, whether they want to or not." She smiles underneath the ghostly veil, though it is about as warm as the landscape.

Looking the metal man up and down, she says, "With those wings and that adorable face, we'll be able to get everything they know, and then some!"

Myfanwy had been startled by what Marksen had said, his words in stark contrast to her opinion of him. He wasn't that disparaging of officers when obeying their orders to murder my family. What's his game?

She shrugged. Maybe if he killed one of the dragons it would show that he'd had a true change of heart, but she doubted he would. Once a Dragon Guard, always a Dragon Guard.

candycorn
2011-11-28, 12:22 AM
@llama:Keeping the check is fine. It was made with the intent of binding the vestige. As long as no major story development has occurred, and the vestige selection doesn't change, it's ok.

@All:To give an idea of the town:

Stone buildings, for the most part, with some metalwork here and there. Buildings are short, wide, and functional, with little decor or artwork. Windows are nonexistent, and typically the only holes in the walls are doors or a chimney. Lanterns are lit periodically, not enough to be considered well lit (the darkness between lanterns is almost as much as the area that is lit). The center of the town features an open mining shaft, about 20x20, with stairs leading around the outside down. It is roofed and covered.

The sky is overcast, and it's dusk, so hiding is generally possible, provided you're out of the brightly lit areas.

Also, a hunting party seems to be returning to the town, dragging something large and bulky on a dog sled, covered in a tarp.

stack
2011-11-28, 08:13 AM
Alexander shakes his head. "I doubt anyone would bother us if we act official. They don't want attention from the dragons. Look at this place." He waves a hand over the town, still in the distance. "You can see the condition it's in from here. We tell them we are transfers sent here and ask for directions to the overseer or any nearby unlanded. They send us on our way before we start collecting 'extra' tribute and eating without paying. Terrorizing people in the night will get more attention. I say hide in plain sight."

The Dark Fiddler
2011-11-28, 09:00 AM
"I have to say that that sounds like our best option. Act official, and who's going to question you? They risk bringing down your wrath if you're the real deal, and that's a good enough deterrent to stop them from questioning you," Kragnu says, speaking up. He quickly sinks back into his thoughts, however. These people are so blatant about wanting to fight with the dragons... that's as good as suicide. "Still, I don't have many other options," he thinks to himself.

TheFallenOne
2011-11-28, 02:36 PM
"I'll stay in the back, looking important and impatient." The latter seemed to require little acting, as Furywing was pacing around restlessly while he waited for the others to get done with the uniforms. "Seems a hunting party returns to the town, might as well ask them about the dragon. Should be public knowledge around here I think."

Misaat
2011-11-28, 02:47 PM
" I say before we do anything... We should eat hehehe . I think you shall find this lunch very... invigorating... And you know what they say about fighting on an empty stomach..."

Teo takes out his Magic Horn and looks for a secluded place before playing it.

OOC: The Horn of plenty replicates a Hero's Feast. I say we eat before we start investigating or hunting dragons since its effects last for 12 hours XD

TheFallenOne
2011-11-28, 10:41 PM
"Have your feast then. I'll scout the surrounding area in the meantime." Furywing bent his knees, then exploded upward with a mighty leap and soon soared out of sight.
Staying high enough to be well out of reach of the lights below, the construct roamed the skies above the town and surrounding landscape, searching for clues to the dragon overseers whereabouts and following the trails and streets leading away from the settlement.

Lowlight vision, darkvision 120 ft. Immune to fatigue, so I can use an aerial run action for 160 ft on most turns. That should let me cover a nice bit of area in an hour

candycorn
2011-11-28, 10:44 PM
@TFO:Altitude you're scouting at? Lanterns produce 30 feet of bright light, then another 30 of dim light. Also note, you ascend at half-speed, so no running while ascending.

TheFallenOne
2011-11-28, 10:48 PM
CC
I know, that's why I said most turns :smallwink: I'll fly at an altitude of 80 ft inside the city, 60 outside.
However, I always stay at least 130 ft away from the lanterns(since the area's illuminated I don't need to go into DV range anyway) in case someone there has lowlight vision. That means less running again since I'll have to zig zag

candycorn
2011-11-28, 11:02 PM
@TFO:Over the course of the hour, you note that mining is going on, even at this hour. Mining carts are transported to a building with a chimney churning large amounts of thick smoke, one of the larger buildings in the town (wider, not taller. No building in the town is taller than 9 feet tall).

There is activity at the back door of the large building. It's not in a well lit area, but people are exiting, and placing things in what appears to be a bag or net of some sort.

Otherwise, the streets are not very active. Smoke is issuing from chimneys on most of the buildings.

The town is walled on most sides, by a wall about 6 feet high. It appears to be a windbreak, more than anything else. You doubt it would stand up to a serious assault.

Over the hour, the hunting party covers the distance to the city, and enters. Their sled pulls adjacent to a small building, some distance from the mining building, and the hunting group (about 20 people, most armed with iron javelins, 4 with iron-hafted shortspears and iron tower shields) gets to work, offloading and hauling the caribou on the sled into the building.

llamamushroom
2011-11-28, 11:33 PM
Myfanwy

I'm taking a spellcraft to see if I can identify the spell that the Magic Horn would cast. I'm not sure what kind of check it should be, so I'll include the harder of the two DCs (20+spell level), and hope it's only meant to be the 15+lvl one.

Spellcraft check (DC 26):[roll0]

Edit: :smalleek: Wow. That was lucky...

Myfanwy shakes her head at the musician's suggestion. "If that horn does what I think it does, I'd suggest holding it back. We don't have the time for a sit-down, not if we want to ask those gentlemen for directions. After all, they're tired and hungry, and even more likely to swallow the idea of our shoddy group being Dragon Guards... then again, knowing the Guard..."

She smirks to herself, but when she turns to the scar-faced man the expression slides off her face like winter ice in the thaw. "Any more of those cloaks?" she asks brusquely.

stack
2011-11-29, 08:34 AM
Alexander watches Teo. Seeing the food produced, be grabs a bit and starts eating. Perhaps by trusting them I can earn their trust?

"A few minutes are unlikely to make a difference, though I would not want to be caught out here. Disguises may fool frightened villagers, I doubt they would stand against our true foes. I just hope the dragons here are less well guarded than those I knew. Does everyone here have a means of flight?" Bloody foolish to attack dragons without one.

TheFallenOne
2011-11-29, 11:45 AM
CC
anything about the surrounding landscape? I cover something like 9 miles even without a single run action and I don't need to check every building, just the ones standing out for size or apparent usage. I'm especially interested in number of exits and which roads seem to be used by carts regularly

candycorn
2011-11-29, 12:00 PM
@TFO:Calling any exit to the town a road would be generous. Trail is more appropriate.

Terrain around the town is relatively flat, at least in the area you're able to scout. The wall has an opening on the north side of the town (inhabited side). You didn't see any carts in the town; sleds do the work up here. Outside the wall, there appear to be dog pens. There also appears to be a clearing about a quarter mile north of the town, with eight posts in the ground in a circle, 30 feet wide. Near the top of each post, an iron hook extends to the side, similar to the ones used to support lanterns in the town. Sled marks lead from the town to this.

On the east side, a bit to the north, there's another wall opening. This was the opening that the hunters entered.

On the west side, to the north, is another entrance.

The entire southern side (destroyed section of town) is unwalled.

TheFallenOne
2011-11-29, 04:35 PM
After an hours passage, Furywing landed next to the rest of the group with a metallic clonk. "There is a central mining building with much activity. We'll find our answers there. You ready?"

The Dark Fiddler
2011-11-29, 04:52 PM
"A means of flight? No, I can't say I ever managed to acquire one," Kragnu answers to Alexander as he, too, joins the feast. "Nor do I have anything nearly as fascinating as the horn that summoned this meal. Pretty much everything you see is the extent of my possessions," he laughs between mouthfuls. When he's not speaking, Kragnu eats ravenously. He's had little chance to eat high-quality food the last few years, and this feast is... well, like a feast to him.

He nods to Furywing when he returns, finishing up the last bit of food before him. "I'm ready, when everybody is."

stack
2011-11-29, 09:03 PM
Alexander shakes his head. "Then let us hope our foes are more accommodating than the one I served. You do not wish to fight a dragon on the wing and lairs may be hard to reach from the ground. I can help, if necessary, though my resources are limited. If everyone is dressed, let us go. Thank you for the food, I hope we live to eat of it again."

Misaat
2011-11-29, 09:39 PM
" Hehehe your welcome .. This should help our resolve when we fight any of the dragons ahead... Now where should we go first? "

TheFallenOne
2011-11-29, 09:48 PM
"I only found two buildings of interest - a big one next to the mining shaft with much activity, and a small one the hunting party went to. The former seems the best bet, if there is a human overseer he's bound to be there."

stack
2011-11-29, 10:22 PM
"Very well, though I suspect the relevant persons will be available quickly enough to, very politely, try to be rid of us once they see these cloaks."

candycorn
2011-12-01, 06:35 AM
For anyone going to mining building:In your first post, include a disguise roll (with a +10 bonus, +15 for Marksen), and a bluff check (+5 for Marksen) if you plan on speaking in the capacity of a dragon guard.

The trek through the town is uneventful, and you reach the front door of the mining building. Upon reaching the doorway and opening it, you realize that it's a smithy. Inside, ore is being smelted by about a half dozen muscular men. Two women are hammering iron into various tools, and a third is sitting at a desk in the corner, carefully examining something small and shiny. Several people in the room look up as the door opens, letting in the harsh outdoor cold.

llamamushroom
2011-12-01, 07:27 AM
Myfanwy

Before the group begins to troop off, Myf calls out to them. "I think I may have had too much of that heroes' wine - I'll catch up with the rest of you in a moment."

After the others have begun to walk away, Myfanwy creeps into one of the abandoned alleyways. When she is certain no-one is watching her, she clears a small patch of the frozen ground of snow with the brush of a hand, and pulls out a small piece of chalk from her pocket. Looking around once more, she begins scribbling a strange seal on the ground.

With the complicated sigil complete, she places her hands on its' edge and intones, in a soft but clear voice, "I call and conjure you, Naberius the Grinning Hound. Show me your face. I call and conjure you, Naberius the Grinning Hound. Show me your face. I call..."

I stopped there because I don't know whether to RP this or skip ahead. To the ask-matron!

I'll be bluffing my dear allies, as secrecy is a wonderful thing. A couple of spot checks wouldn't go amiss, either.

Bluff check:

First Spot Check: [roll1]

Second Spot Check: [roll][1d20

Edit: Well, love a duck. I guess she only checks once. Someone wouldn't make a very good Santa.

stack
2011-12-01, 08:25 AM
forgot to roll my own diguise in the OOC

disguise [roll0]

bluff [roll1]

Alexander figure he'll talk, even though we all know OOC that Myfanwy would have a better check. Have to RP after all.

Alexander strides into the building, throwing the door back. "Who's in charge here? Is this how you welcome a detachment of the dragon guards? I would think a town like this would know better." Just try and sound like the old captain, may his black soul burn.

His hand rests on the hilt of his sword ac he scans the room, feigning extreme irritation and arrogance. "Or maybe you are housing the bandits that attacked us on the road? That would go...poorly...for you."

candycorn
2011-12-01, 11:26 AM
Some of the people in the shop look intimidated, but a couple don't seem impressed at all.

The nearest smith looks you up and down, and chuckles. "Son, I don't know what your game is, but the dragon guard aren't let out here. Our overlords have made it very clear that humans are good for little other than eating. Let me guess, you're the bandits, and are planning on using those cloaks to get some free food, and shelter? I'll warn you, there's almost a thousand souls in this town, and most of us can hunt well enough to bring down a polar bear. What's your business? We're busy preparing tribute, and we have little time for fools."

Misaat
2011-12-01, 02:51 PM
OOC: Tsk tsk tsk Time for Teo to reach the stage . Casting Glibness on myself

2 spells of 3rd lvl left

Teo turns around and mutters some magic words. Then he turns again and walks towards the Smith.

" Ha ha you have caught us good sir. We are actually a higher division of the dragon corps . We are here to make sure you are capable of distinguishing between real Dragon guards and people DRESSED as Dragon Guards. I must say im glad you are a mostly cunning man and im happy to inform you that thanks to you your village has swiftly passed the test! "

He says with a big smile.

Bluff Check: [roll0]

OOC: Does the +3 bonus from the circlet of persuasion also stack?

TheFallenOne
2011-12-01, 02:52 PM
Furywing stepped forward, metal footsteps clanking heavily on the stone floor. Eyes of azure fire fixed on the smith, but then he pointedly ignored the speaker and instead adressed his own companion. "Marksen, I am disappointed by the incompetence of you and my other escorts. Get these pinkskins to answer now or both you and them suffer the consequences. I may have some misgivings to culling the same place twice in such rapid sucession, so act before my annoyance grows to anger." For the first time since speaking he opened his mouth, revealing a bright fire burning behind the metal jaws, ready to be spit forth.
"To think I had to personally get involved in such a trivial matter... A disgrace to let people like you carry the name Dragon Guard."

OK, I hope I can save the failed bluff this way. Hoping for a big circumstance modifier on Intimidate(I knew I should have shaped Brass Mane -.-) [roll0]

edit: ninja'd by a rather unexpected bluff

candycorn
2011-12-01, 09:17 PM
OOC:OK, even with a -10 penalty for being hard to believe, and a -20 for suspicious (allowing retry, but assigning a stiff penalty), nobody in the town can touch that bluff.

The smith is more than a little taken aback with the completely believable face of Teo. "I...I was not aware the Dragon Guard had divisions. The way the Bloodline speak of them, the Dragon Guard are little more than nannies and mid-day snacks. Of course there must be a more prestigious sect. How may we be of assistance?"

candycorn
2011-12-01, 09:18 PM
500 error, posting to update.

llamamushroom
2011-12-01, 09:42 PM
Myfanwy

"Of course there are divisions. My colleague has informed you of one of our purposes - the other is to check the tribute paths. Where is the path, and where is your master's lair?"

Myfanwy looks the smith in the eye, almost daring him speak out against her.

A bluff check, I guess? I'll put Naberius to good use and take 10.

Bluff Check: (10+15) 25

Misaat
2011-12-01, 10:22 PM
MMM since i already have them fooled i dont think we need bluff check to get them to do what we want but... Where is your Master's lair? seriously XD couldnt you disguise it a little bit XD?

" Indeed the tributes must be accounted for and we must also inform your Master of your great performance in this test "

candycorn
2011-12-02, 12:34 AM
At this, the woman in the corner puts down the gem she was appraising and clears her throat. "A thousand pardons, sir, but Mylfwex has been quite clear that his master tolerates no agents other than ones accompanied Alistral, Mylfwex, or Gaurifas to handle the tribute before its appointed time. I am pleased to inform you, however, that we are right on schedule, and the entire tribute will be ready in three days, right on time.

As for the lair... Again, I am most regretful to have to tell you this, but it seems that your masters briefed you poorly. We haul the tribute by sled outside of town, a short distance, to a pre-arranged location. From there, emissaries of the masters pick it up, and take it to their lair. We typically remain on site until the emissaries of the dragons arrive. After Mylfwex or Gaurifas arrive, we discuss the particulars of the tribute with one of their offspring, then depart.

Again, I am most sorry that I cannot be of more assistance, but if you give us but a day, we can arrange quarters for you to stay in while you wait for our shared master."

Misaat
2011-12-02, 02:33 AM
(( )) Are my characters thoughts

((Tsk tsk tsk Its not gonna be that easy eh... very well lets play some... mind games ))

Teo licks his lips in anticipation but puts a hand on top of his mouth so he cannot be seen doing it.

" And you .Know? Of this locations? ... I see i see it seems our master has taken to play jokes on us again... i would wish he would stop treating us like this but well... such is the way of life ... But im afraid that ill have to perform a small interrogation on your person to find out exactly what else have i been misinformed on... this is merely a routine and i would like to get it from you because... well if i put myself forward to get each of the villagers versions i would be here all night dont you think? "

OOC Time to bring out good ol Fascinate / Suggestion combo XD

candycorn
2011-12-02, 03:09 AM
The woman looks at you, confused for a moment, before stating, "I certainly understand the position you are in, lords, but... Must it be me? There are many who could inform you of the state of affairs here, and I am one of very few in the town that can properly appraise the gems that go to Alistral's monthly tribute. I'm afraid he gets... most displeased... when his gaze falls upon substandard stones."

EDIT: OOC:If you intend to actually cast spells, please let me know unambiguously what you are doing, in the spoiler. "Time to do XXX" isn't very clear. "I'm casting XXX spell, then YYY spell, using bluff to conceal the casting, before my speech" is.

stack
2011-12-02, 08:31 AM
"Hmm, not what I expected, but it seems my 'choice' of companions was fortuitous. Never realized how much variance there is between the habits of the different dragons. We certainly don't want to face more than one at a time if we can help it. Still, these seem capable, I should keep my mouth shut so as not to catch my other foot."

Alexander stands still, watching events unfold around him, his hand remains casually rested on his blade, though out of habit more than anything. His face is impassive, feigning an mien of detached boredom.

Misaat
2011-12-02, 10:11 AM
" Even better that you should be the on to inform us then ^^ . Don't worry this should take only a couple of minutes. If the rest of the villagers feel like it they can go back to their works and if some of them could be so kind as to show my companions around town "

He says again with a smile

That was just an OOC comment XD .Dont want to use Fascinate in fron of all the town... It would be weird. Ill wait till we are alone so i can just ask her what we need to know

candycorn
2011-12-02, 10:41 AM
She looks quite confused, and more than a little fearful, at this. "Even better that I risk the ire of the dragons? I am uncertain what dragons you serve, but the ones here do not suffer excuses, no matter the reason. I assure you, if tribute is insufficient due to this, Gaurifas will feast on the bones of us both! He cares not for the livery we wear; to him, you're either a dragon, or you're a plaything! A swipe of her tail can take the roof off a building, and then the claws... Our hunters fear little, but during the last culling, Gaurifas flayed the skin off of our townsmen and women without even touching them. As many as two dozen burst apart, with naught but the gaze of Gaurifas! Sirs, the scouts and hunters are far more versed with the information you seek! I spend my days, since the last culling, sorting the gems, and performing the odd bit of engraving. If you command it, I shall, of course, obey, but this is a dangerous game you play, not just with your lives, but with ours."

Misaat
2011-12-02, 10:54 AM
(( Such fear even as to unconsciously resist my spell... Damn those monsters ))

Teo clicks his tongue and scratches his chin at her comments...

"Tsk tsk tsk.... Fine then. It seems you absolutely must get back to your chores... If you would be so kind as to point at someone who could be of assistance at filling us in... Preferably someone who knows as much as you seem to do around here .... ^^ "

candycorn
2011-12-02, 02:21 PM
The woman informs you that while several hunters are out still, that there's usually a group bringing something in to feed the village. They'll typically be over towards the butcher, or in the commons hall. She provides descriptions of each place.

Misaat:Unconsciously resist your spell? I'm not aware of a spell that you've cast, beyond bluff bonus spells?

Misaat
2011-12-02, 04:04 PM
The woman informs you that while several hunters are out still, that there's usually a group bringing something in to feed the village. They'll typically be over towards the butcher, or in the commons hall. She provides descriptions of each place.

Misaat:Unconsciously resist your spell? I'm not aware of a spell that you've cast, beyond bluff bonus spells?

OOC: He meant the Glibness spell XD Its mainly just fluff dont pay any mind to it XD.

" Very well see you around then... ^^ "

Then he turns to his teammates.

" So ... should we get there now? Im confident ill be able to get the information out of them if we go soon... "

TheFallenOne
2011-12-02, 04:35 PM
"We go now, and you better get more information out of the hunters. I grow weary of enduring the presence of pinkskins." Furywings impatience seemed quite genuine, and he strode off like none of his companions had any say in the matter.
Once they were out of earshot the deep voice rumbled in a hushed tone "We need to find out in which direction is the lair, I may find it from above. Ambushing when they pick up the tribute looks risky, they'll be watchful at this time. And we don't know how the civilians will react; seeing how much they fear the dragons they might help them in the hope of avoiding repercusions."

stack
2011-12-02, 04:35 PM
Alexander nods. "Then let us waste no time. Your words seem much more effective than mine. Apparently I cannot convince anyone I am what I was yesterday." He smiles as he whispers, waiting to speak until they are out of ear-shot of the villagers.

As they walk through the door, he draws his cloak close against the wind.

"I agree about avoiding witnesses. Regardless of whether they help or not, they may face repercussions. Best to keep them as far away as possible."

TheFallenOne
2011-12-02, 04:54 PM
"Don't be foolish human", the construct chided. "If we suceed the dragons will torch this place and everyone within it for the mere possibility they helped us. Don't wince at the thought. If you let prospects like this stay your hand your kind will live in servitude forever."

stack
2011-12-03, 12:04 AM
"But then who will be left if we succeed? It is a hard road we have set our feet to. I would not be the cause of any suffering unnecessarily, though I fear your words too true. If the locals dragons are like the one I served..." He grimaces visible.

llamamushroom
2011-12-03, 12:22 AM
Myfanwy

She nodded her head at the construct's words. "You're new to resisting the dragons, I know, so I'll tell you the basic creed of my family, the one that you slaughtered: anyone who is not with us is against us. Even if they don't know it. You may have problems with torturing or killing the innocent, but rest assured that the dragons do not. To them, we are less than animals. If you show even a hint of weakness, they will exploit it.

On the other hand, fewer witnesses are always an advantage - fewer people to pass on our description when the dragons inevitably fall upon this town."

Myfanwy's face is hard through her speech, emotionless and unforgiving.

candycorn
2011-12-03, 12:41 AM
At this point, you reach the Butchery. As you enter:Inside is warm, and the air is much more humid. Along the walls is leather skins, drying in the oppressive heat coming from the central chimney. Towards the center, several men and women are busy dismembering a large beast, that at one point resembled a caribou. They don't seem particularly fazed by the heat, and as slabs of meat are carved off the beast, they're salted, and placed on a small pallet near the back door. It looks mostly full, with several hundred pounds of meat. All 5 people in the shop look up as the door opens.

Misaat
2011-12-03, 02:06 AM
Teo quickly takes out his lute and starts to run his fingers through the strings.

" Greeting kind villagers might i interest you on a soothing song tune for these dire days? "

Attempting to Fascinate them

Perform Strings : [roll0]

candycorn
2011-12-03, 02:28 AM
Those inside the shop all stop what they are doing, and stand there, dumbfounded.

Misaat
2011-12-03, 10:37 AM
As he plays Teo goes through each of them with his eyes... then he looks at the one closest to him and speaks on a commanding voice.

" I was wondering if you could answer a couple of... Inquiries we might possess? Is that okay? ..."

DC 21

candycorn
2011-12-03, 10:47 AM
@Misaat:DM Ruling: Suggestion cannot make a person a slave in the manner you are attempting. This is not what I consider "worded to make the request sound reasonable."

Something along the lines of, 'answer my questions truthfully' is fine. Also, things along the lines of hiding you, or somesuch. It is limited in scope.

In other words, clever wording will not turn a Suggestion (level 2 spell) into a Dominate (level 4 spell).

On a side note, if you make the request sound reasonable, rather than an order, I am prone to assign save penalties to your targets.

As this ruling affects your actions, you may reword your Suggestion.

On a side note, Fascinated creatures take no actions. Speech is an action.

Misaat
2011-12-03, 10:53 AM
Well we are dressed as the Dragon Guard so the fact of ordering them around is not that far fetched but ok... ill reword it.

Fascinated creatures dont but the ones under suggestion do.

candycorn
2011-12-03, 11:32 AM
@Misaat/explanations:Yes, ordering them around is ok, but you'll get that without a suggestion. Using the suggestion would imply needing a level of obedience that the uniforms can't do.

Note: Any human doesn't serve the dragons, and that honestly believes you to be Dragon Guard has a starting attitude of Hostile. It is the fear of the dragons behind the uniform that cows them enough to allow you to get anything from them. Suggestion would have to be worded in a manner to increase their motivation to help you, in order to improve further on the uniform's effect for "instructions". Townspeople here have refused you what you asked, when it went contrary to the orders of their dragons. Why? Because then you were working AGAINST the fear that the dragons instill (by commanding them to violate dragon orders), rather than with it. If your suggestion works with the motivation they already have, it's more reasonable.

Suggestion is a soft form of control. It is strongest when you take desires that are already there, and choose something that goes along with that anyway. Convincing a town guard captain to strengthen patrols in a high risk area, to weaken patrols in the area you want to hit, for example.

On a side note: creatures under the effects of Suggestion can take actions every bit as well as they normally can. If one is slowed, he's limited to a standard or move every turn. If one is nauseated, he's limited to a move every turn. If one is Fascinated, he still takes no actions. In other words, Suggestion doesn't get rid of fascination, though, per enchantment effects, you do know immediately whether or not it succeeds.

@Misaat/game effects:The targeted townsperson fails their save vs. the Suggestion effect. As the individual is also still under the Fascination effect (for as long as you continue playing, to the duration limit of 1 round/bard level), he still cannot speak, or for that matter, take any action other than pay attention to your performance.

Misaat
2011-12-03, 02:52 PM
" Very well... Please meet me outside in thirty minutes with a letter. Inside of it there must be a complete list depicting everything of importance regarding to the tribute and a complete inform of what Master Alistral has been asking you to do this week. If there was anything uncommon... And of course be sure that the letter is properly sealed and to let nobody else read it.. I must deliver it to Master Gaurifas personally and i dont want him to think i want to know anything about his tribute... "

candycorn
2011-12-04, 12:52 AM
Barring other actions by the party, the letter will be delivered in a bit over thirty minutes. It is not, however, sealed. The man explains that there is no wax to be had in the town for the seal.

TheFallenOne
2011-12-04, 01:40 AM
"So what's the plan now?" the constructs rough voice asked when they were alone again. "From what I gather, one of the dragons comes to pick up the tribute, accompanied by some type of guard. We can't fight all three dragons at once, so unless they have separate lairs we should spring them when they pick up the tribute. But we have to make sure he doesn't just run off; he may be too arrogant to not give battle to the end, but we can't rely on that."

candycorn
2011-12-04, 01:58 AM
Contents of letter, in case read:Tribute is to be one and one half tons in weight, comprised of: one half in refined ores, Iron, copper, and tin. Four-fifths of the remaining space is to be in food tribute, frozen flesh of roaming beasts or fish. The remainder is to be in precious stones and metals, and other artwork such as may be pleasing to a dragon's eye.

Alistral has made no requests of Scarlet Gorge this week, beyond the regular monthly tribute.

Misaat
2011-12-04, 02:46 AM
" Gold Iron and food... among other things... nothing of particular interest... Assorted Artwork... Artwork... "

A smile forms on Teo's face.

" I wonder if a statue constitutes Artwork that could "Please a Dragon's eye" "

The Dark Fiddler
2011-12-04, 11:41 AM
"A statue? Doubtful, unless it was made from a precious metal and in the form of the dragon itself. What use would a stone humanoid be to a dragon?" Kragnu stops for a moment to consider the implications of Teo's question. "You... you weren't planning on us pretending to be-or being transformed into-statues, were you?"

TheFallenOne
2011-12-04, 12:21 PM
"I think he's talking about me, being made of metal and all. Won't work though, there are things on me quite obviously not of a mundane nature." He pointed to his cloak of blue-black fur that caught the light in a strange way, making Furywings outline seem blurry every few seconds if one tried to focus on him. "A dragon might know enough about magic to recognize the nature of my power.
I think it's better I stay high in the ambush. Those who can fly attack from above, the others from below. We just need to conceal ourselves well, dragons have keen senses."

stack
2011-12-04, 02:06 PM
"I agree that it seems unlikely the dragon would try to flee, but wounded creatures are unpredictable. It may not wish to stay if the battle goes poorly, but we cannot afford to let it escape. I can move quickly at need, but a dragon on wing would likely outpace me. Perhaps we should try to disable its wings? I have no such magic, but a good blade may suffice." His cold, stiff fingers flex unconsciously around the black hilt again.
Never gave enough thought to this, rushed ahead yet again. Stupid and impulsive. Get everyone killed that way.

I know its not in the rules, but targeting wings seems reasonable, even though it could still escape by casting.

candycorn
2011-12-04, 02:38 PM
@Stack:Spells exist which hamper or prevent the use of a Fly speed. Maneuvers, such as trip, can also accomplish a similar goal.

Allowing ordinary targeted shots to render limbs nonfunctional opens up a very slippery slope.

What happens when enemies start targeting your legs? What about your arms? Would a caster with two crushed arms be unable to cast? Would a berserker with one crushed arm be unable to wield a 2 handed weapon? What about the person with a crushed leg? How would that hamper their land speed?

In my opinion, this is a request for a rules alteration that opens up a lot of questions, and a whole mess of other potential problems, for little real gain. Unless there's a compelling reason to allow aimed shots to affect movement, I'm going to deny that one. If there's a compelling enough reason, I'll look into locating or creating rules for aiming at a creature's limbs to prevent the use of that limb. All in all, though, I see this as a variant rule that would lower the party's survival odds, rather than increasing them.

TheFallenOne
2011-12-04, 03:27 PM
"I can slow it down by using more solid, sticky elemental matter with my breah attack, but it's not enough to totally immobilize", explained Furywing. "I can also petrify with my gaze, but a dragon is likely to withstand it. I can only maintain the effect for a short time though, so if I do make it smash the statue up fast."

llamamushroom
2011-12-05, 07:08 AM
Myfanwy

"Do any of you think yourselves quick with a rope? Dragons can't fly if they're too weighted down, and I doubt this one could carry off a tonne and a half on its own. Even if it can, we could easily add a few boulders to the pile. At the very least, it'll slow him down long enough for us to get in a few hits."

There are, of course, other methods at her disposal, but for now the necromancer chooses not to air them - the recently turned Guard might be sent back to his old masters if the resurrected corpses of the townsfolk were suggested to be used as dragon fodder, and he could well be a useful ally.

The caribou skeletons, on the other hand...

"I don't suppose any of you noticed where the midden was round here? I've got a plan that involves misappropriating the dearly departed deer..."

I'll ask this over in OOC as well, but would that work? Skeletons make for useful combatants, even non-humanoid ones.

candycorn
2011-12-05, 07:26 AM
OOC:yes, though it would be best if a suggestion were put on the butcher to keep the bones intact when getting the meat off, as the bones could be turned into decorative accessories for tribute.

TheFallenOne
2011-12-05, 02:12 PM
"A rope?" Furywing gave off an amphoric rumble that may have been his version of a laugh. "A dragon would easily break it, I doubt metal chains would be enough. No necromancer, unless you can drain most of its strength away that won't help us."

candycorn
2011-12-05, 09:26 PM
@ Furywing Scouting:In 16 hours, you search a 5 square mile area, covering all land within 1 mile of Scarlet gorge, to the east, northeast, west, northwest, and north.

You see no game larger than a wolf, and no signs of any dwelling places.

TheFallenOne
2011-12-05, 09:43 PM
After most of the day Furywing returned from his scouting trip. "Nothing. Just some wolves. Without knowing in which direction to go I won't find it." He spent the rest of the day sitting in a corner, going over some slight tears from exertion in his wings with delicate tools.

New idea for next day: Hunter's Circlet, Crown and Totem bind for Track feat, Scent and nice Survival bonus. The trail will be on very soft ground I guess(DC 5), 6 days old(+6), likely fresh snow(+10), possibly easier for size of group(-x) and any number of other things that might make it harder. That is of course assuming the attendants of the dragon are landbound.
I'll leave this open until the others are done with the day

stack
2011-12-05, 11:25 PM
Alexander aids int the mending of the skeletons as best he can, holding his tongue as well as his nose. Magic is magic, I suppose. Still, this necromancy...bah, the worst part is that things will likely go much farther before the end. What will be left of us if we succeed?

llamamushroom
2011-12-06, 12:33 AM
MyfanwyThe first bit of this post follows directly from the last - just to have a bit of continuity.Myf is surprised at Marksen's willingness to help, especially considering his misgivings. Perhaps I misjudged him - he was just following orders. But he could have disobeyed. He did eventually, though. Damn. It'll turn out for the best, I guess.

To her reluctant helper, she says, "Thank you, Marksen. I understand this is hard for you, but remember - we are only using them to destroy a far greater enemy. And, after all, they'd only go to waste otherwise." She smiles thinly at the end, trying to reassure the fallen guard.

Myfanwy ducks back into the butchery, and after a moment of watching the butcher dismember the caribou carcasses, she approaches him and asks "What do you do with the bones once you're done taking the the meat off them? Sorry, let me rephrase that, I would like to seize the skeletons of these animals after you're done. They can be quite valuable to the right buyer..."

When he acquiesces, she drags the three skeletons a fair way into the uninhabited sector of the town, hopefully with the help of her allies, and, again with their help, reconstructs them on the floor of one of the abandoned houses.

Once the three skeletons are laid out and ready to be animated, she asks the others to step outside - "more for your sake than mine, as this isn't always pretty for a first-timer" - and begins laying the black onyx in the eye-sockets of the deer. She feels the darkness within her, emanating from the abyss where her soul once was, and sends it out into the black crystals. Shakily, like newborn fawns, the fleshless bones rise to their feet. The tips of their antlers are coated in rime, barely visible against the white of the bones, and the black onyx in their sockets seems to almost glow with darkness.

Myfanwy orders the three to follow her and leads them out to her waiting allies.

"Well, what do you think? They'll be able to at least lend a hand in our struggles, and could even help us carry anything we find. On the other hand, we could still use something a bit stronger. Anyone feel like asking after those polar bears that were mentioned by the hunting team? We still have two days before the tribute. Tell you what, I'll leave these fellows in one of the abandoned houses, and find out myself. If you want to accompany me, you're more than welcome."

And, with that, she simply says "follow" to the monsters and leads them into the abandoned house, where a simple "stay" has the three skeletons stand stock-still, statue-like, hidden from the villagers' prying eyes.

The necromancer quickly takes the brisk walk back to the inhabited part of town, looking for any members of the previous night's hunting party. To begin with, she heads back to the butcher. "My thanks for last night, for indulging a superior's whim. Now, you might have guessed I'm a bit of a trophy hunter, and I'm looking for a particular animal that you might have heard of round here - the polar bear," and she winks at him conspiratorially. "Now, as some buyers are willing to pay top dollar for a decent skin, I'm willing to pay some dollars for the whereabouts of any polar bears in the area. I don't suppose you happen to know which direction I should head in?"

So, I think bluff checks are the go for the last bit (because I totally look like a poacher - can't you see my ivory pith helm? :smalltongue:), along with a gather information. Also, how much should I offer by way of a bribe? All things considered, I think 10 gold would be more than enough, but other peoples' input would be appreciated.

Bluff check (DC ??)[roll0]

Gather Information check (DC ??)[roll1]

candycorn
2011-12-06, 05:36 AM
The butcher smiles and shakes his head. "I'm sorry, but we can't eat gold here. If you truly wish to reward us, give me a day with the carcass first, to remove the meat from its bones. As for where they roam? It's rare to see one at all, but when we do get one, it's from hunting parties that have roamed over five miles from the town, to the east. When a party encounters one, it's usually after being out several days. With 4 hunting parties out at any one time, we usually see one or two bears per month."

stack
2011-12-06, 08:18 AM
Not sure I am ready to let the witch go that far afield unsupervised. She has worked well with us, but her first instincts seem too dark to let run free. "I will accompany you. Another set of eyes and an extra blade should serve well enough."

Surprised the dragon haven't hunted the bears to extinction, they sound like perfect prey. Strong enough to be interesting, weak enough to not be a real threat.

candycorn
2011-12-06, 09:15 AM
@Bear Search:8 hours of searching reveals no bears. You do encounter another Caribou, however.

llamamushroom
2011-12-06, 09:44 AM
Myfanwy

Eight hours is a long time to spend solely in the company of another, especially if that other is not a person you would choose to trust. However, his helpfulness and tolerant attitude have an effect on Myf, one that she could not have expected. One that goes against all her notions of vengeance, against practically the core of her belief.

She stops hating him.

In fact, her lack of hate extends almost to something on the spectrum of "like".

Him, the man who participated in killing her cell. Him, the man who served her lifelong enemies.

Him, the man who turned on his vile masters. Him, the man who helped her in strengthening their odds against the dragons, despite his obvious discomfort at her methods. For eight long hours, the only break in which was a moment to quickly slaughter and raise a fourth caribou. With her newest skeletal minion at her side, Myfanwy addresses her companion.

"Thank you for all your help, Marksen. It may not have achieved much, and it may have been just about the last thing either of us wanted to do after yesterday's forced march, but thank you for trying."

stack
2011-12-06, 09:49 AM
Alexander

"We'll need all the help we can get. If nothing else, these...thing can distract guards." Unless we need to fly to even get at the dragon, then they will be useless. Too big and awkward to carry. Let's hope the dragons make this easier than I fear.

She didn't try to blast me the moment my back was turned...a good sign, as far as it goes. People have been driven to extremes, either servitude or rebellion...perhaps allowances can be made for going to far. I'll keep my eyes open regardless.

"Let's get back. See what the others have accomplished today."

TheFallenOne
2011-12-06, 07:38 PM
The next morning, Furywing tapped into his reservoir of formless soul energy, suffusing himself with the experiences of primitive hunters from the time before they lived in halls of stone. Their senses added to his own, he could now smell the fine nuances of the things around him, the soft snow, the smoke of the fires mixed with the taste of the flesh cooked in them; an unusual experience for him.

Revisiting the clearing where the dragons pick up their tribute, he glided around it in circles so as not to disturb trails with his own footsteps, looking for signs of a group besides the townspeople entering and leaving the clearing a week ago.

Hunters Circlet replaces Frost Helm, Crown and Totem bind, 4 Essentia. Lucky Dice and Keeneye Lenses replace Elder Spirit and Strongheart Vest, otherwise standard loadout

I'll look both inside and around the clearing for old footprints. On failure, retry an hour later four times
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

I have Track feat and Scent, which gives me +4 on survival if I can use it on the trail(bonus not included). Lucky Dice included

TheFallenOne
2011-12-06, 07:40 PM
*twitch* 3 more times
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

candycorn
2011-12-06, 08:18 PM
@Tracking:In the clearing, beneath the snow, you see deep impressions in the packed snow beneath. Massive clawprints, each print longer than your arm. You see them all around the clearing, but cannot seem to track them outside of it. Deeper grooves at the edge indicate that the creature took a great leap.

TheFallenOne
2011-12-06, 08:28 PM
seeing the size of the claws, what would I guess the creatures size category to be?

stack
2011-12-06, 09:02 PM
Alexander stalks impatiently, never accustomed to waiting. Wasting time, mucking about with bones and tracks. If only we had a way to get to them and FIGHT!

He is obviously ready to help any of the others in their tasks, just to pass the time and take his mind off the waiting.

An impatient swiftblade? Why I never...

candycorn
2011-12-06, 10:05 PM
seeing the size of the claws, what would I guess the creatures size category to be?

Need a Knowledge (Arcana) for that

TheFallenOne
2011-12-06, 10:16 PM
[roll0]
sadly no Elder Spirit, though if you allow Lucky Dice to work another +1

candycorn
2011-12-07, 01:34 AM
@TheFallenOne:You estimate the creature weighed well over a ton, and based on the leg spacing and your limited knowledge of white dragons, your best guess would be large or huge... But you're not very conversant with white dragons after they outgrow Medium size.

TheFallenOne
2011-12-07, 01:33 PM
Later the day Furywing returned to the others, reporting what he found. Saw old clawprints of the dragon. Big one, well over a ton, perhaps two. Can't follow since he flew out and no evidence of attendants. If one of you more sociable people can find out who accompanies the dragon and who carries the ton of tribute it would help us."
He approached Myfanwy, fixing his sapphire eyes on hers. "You want a polar bear? Show me the right place and I can find them."

assuming he goes along with it, more tracking
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
Scent should help here(+4) since the trails are hopefully fresh

Spot(2 Essentia in Keeneye Lenses, 3 in Basilisk Mask for Darkvision 90) [roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
Lucky Dice activated every turn

candycorn
2011-12-07, 03:18 PM
@Bear hunt:Day is fruitful, and you find a polar bear to skeletonize.

stack
2011-12-09, 08:34 AM
When they return to the town, another skeleton in tow, Alexander washes his hands thoroughly. At least there will be no more time for that foul business, though I fear or next prey will not be so accommodating as to stay on the ground and die quickly. I wonder if the others have discovered anything helpful...

He goes to get an update on the others activities before checking his gear and going to bed.

So, did anyone else's characters find out anything useful before we cast our lives away?

candycorn
2011-12-10, 07:41 PM
Dawn breaks, on the morning of the scheduled dragon pickup. A chill wind and overcast skies do nothing to brighten spirits, and heavy snowfall for most of the morning renders visibility low. During this time, the townspeople, heavily bundled, finish the final touches on a sled that looks more like a barge than a sled.

In the early evening, no less than three teams of dogs are hooked to it, to make the slow trek to the tribute site. The sled is delivered to the location, the dogs are unhooked, and the netting double checked. After, the netting is stretched to the east, and lanterns are hung from the rings surrounding the clearing. By this time, it's dark out, and the lantern light illuminates the clearing.

OOC:Skill checks may reveal more information.

Knowledge: Nature, Knowledge: Architecture/Engineering, Survival, Knowledge: Local, and Search, just off the top of my head. If you want to inspect something with a relevant knowledge check, let me know more or less what you're looking for, and I'll see if anything applies.

Also, spot checks are in order, for later.

I'll have a map posted by the morning.

stack
2011-12-11, 02:24 PM
spot [roll0]

lousy skillpoints on this build.

Alexander has made certain to put a proper gleam on his armor, though it shows little as he keeps the crimson cloak wrapped close for warmth, which conveniently conceals his fine blade as well. He scans the horizon repeatedly, waiting for a sign of their coming foe. Well, if nothing else this should be a surprise. So blade, you struck quick and true in their service, will you do so know? Yes, I think so. A black blade for black deeds. Will this be the beginning or the end?

candycorn
2011-12-11, 06:23 PM
Map: http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w85/maharai23/TributeDrop.png

OOC:If any people have vision modes that extend visibility beyond 60 feet from torches, let me know. Otherwise, choose where you'll be on the map, and what light sources you personally have.

Misaat
2011-12-11, 07:16 PM
Teo will be at M 17 if that's okay

stack
2011-12-11, 10:01 PM
Start in L-17, dumping a 5th level spell into the divine companion alternate class feature for use later. Weapon sheathed, as per previous post.

TheFallenOne
2011-12-11, 11:26 PM
start in H13, flyingat a height of 300 feet. Will descend once dragon lands

Soulmelds as on sheet, Darkvision 120 and lowlight vision

llamamushroom
2011-12-12, 08:04 AM
The Magical Menagerie and I will be at Q 13 mingling with the villagers, specifically H 17, disguised as one of them (not a specific one, but just a villager generally). I have Devil's Sight, which means I can see normally in darkness and magical darkness out to 30 feet.

The Magical Menagerie will be set up as a very dramatic diorama in and around the poles. There is a caribou at G 12, I 12 and I 13, and the polar bear is at G 14.

By the way, I bound Naberius again at some point today - sorry, been a bit hectic at work over the weekend.

Binding Check - Naberius (DC 15):[roll0]

I'll finish the post when I know how to roleplay...

Edit: There's not much danger of running afoul of Mr Naberius, but it always pays to be prepared.

Myfanwy

Standing amongst the villagers, Myf could almost smell the anticipation in the air. The skeletons were playing their parts perfectly, the three caribou seemingly caught in mid-leap as the bear lumbered forward. And dusting of ice upon them was unremarkable in the frigid air.

For the first time in too long, a thrill surged through her body. It was almost time to begin...

candycorn
2011-12-13, 01:06 PM
@All:A half a dozen figures enter the outer limits of the torchlight at G6, H6, and I-6. They all appear to be armored in simple chain shirts, and devoid of protective clothing. Their skin, where exposed, is a creamy white, and scaled. They have heads reminiscent of dragons, and each has a longsword sheathed at their hip. They begin moving toward the tribute.

@Thefallenone:I need a listen check from you.

stack
2011-12-13, 01:20 PM
Alexander watches, his face impassive as his mind turns and the approach of the dragon's servants. Six, half dragons by the look. Good, our information was correct. They'll be nasty, if I know anything about them. The old master's bastards always tried to match him for cruelty and greed, as far as they where able. Soon we'll see if they are as able to fight as they are to slaughter peasants.

TheFallenOne
2011-12-13, 08:08 PM
DM
Listen check [roll0]

candycorn
2011-12-13, 08:57 PM
@TFO:You hear the sound of wings flapping, some distance to your east, and below you. You don't see anything within the 120' range of your darkvision, however, and at the distance you are above ground, you don't hear anything from there. In fact, even with that exceptional roll, you wouldn't be able to identify what someone was shouting on the ground, at this distance.

TheFallenOne
2011-12-13, 09:51 PM
DM
no action. I assume I have a longer darkvision range, so if th dragon ever comes close enough to notice me I hope I see him first

candycorn
2011-12-13, 10:04 PM
@All:The half-dragons approach the tribute, and give it cursory inspection. Three begin adjusting straps, and attaching a large ring to the netting, sealing it shut. The other two move to G15 and I-15, and speak in a clear (and bored) voice,

@Everyone except TheFallenOne:"All hail Mylfwas the benevolent, for he has decided, in his infinite mercy, to spare you the traditional supplications and offerings. You are to move away, 30 feet farther, to prepare for his arrival."

Everyone is entitled to a spot check.

stack
2011-12-14, 08:10 AM
Alexander bows and backs away, hoping his muttered words of activation are ignored as unimportant supplications. In between, his eyes dark to the sky, looking for their coming prey.

Moving back the required distance, activating winged boots when I get there for flight as the fly spell for 5/minutes

spot [roll0]

candycorn
2011-12-15, 02:13 AM
@Stack:Sorry, spot of 7 won't pick anything up.

@All:Spot checks not rolled in 24 hours, making them for players in absentia.

TFO:[roll0]
llama: [roll1]
misaat: [roll2]

Sheesh, you guys are aware that spot checks are important, right?

candycorn
2011-12-15, 02:46 AM
@Anyone:Two half dragons hold up the iron ring, which lifts out of their hands.
@Anyone within 30 feet of the ground:The half dragons speak, in unison, "All hail Mylfwas!"
@Anyone:A roar, loud as thunder, splits the air. The netting lifts taut, the sled beneath creaking as the weight it bears is lessened. The townsfolk fall prostrate, as one, and, a fierce blast of wind kicks up fresh snow, creating a thick hemisphere cloud of swirling snow that swallows up the light, traveling out 60 feet from the tribute, in all directions. The last thing you see as the cloud swirls in is the form of a Huge dragon, with matte white scales, fading into view. It promptly is completely obscured by the snowglobe.

But the wind carries farther than that. Anyone within 70 feet of the tribute or the torches, including those standing with the visitors, gets buffeted by winds in excess of 50 mph.

Mechanics: If you're within 70 feet of G12-i14, I need a Fort save, DC 18, to resist Windstorm level wind effects.

Failure consequences:Large/Huge Creatures: Checked (unable to move)
Medium Creatures: Knocked down.
Small or smaller Creatures: Knocked down, and blown back [roll0]x10 feet. Damage: [roll1] [roll2] [roll3] [roll4] (take one roll per 10 feet traveled)

If you're flying, and you're medium or smaller, you are thrown back [roll5] x10 feet, and take [roll6] nonlethal from battering and buffeting.

stack
2011-12-15, 08:03 AM
fort save [roll0]

Alexander watches the proceedings, throwing an arm over his face as the wind overtakes him, gasping as his breath is stolen by the stinging cold. He stumbles momentarily, but catches himself and leans into the wind, barely keeping his feet.

llamamushroom
2011-12-15, 11:01 AM
Fort Save (DC 18):[roll0]Myfanwy

Despite the strong winds, Myf keeps her footing, sheltered slightly by the gathered villagers. Squinting against the dark and the driven snow, the enormous dragon takes her breath away. She sets her jaw, and prepares to fight as soon as the construct makes the first move.

Misaat
2011-12-15, 12:33 PM
Fortitude Save (DC18) :[roll0]

Teo falls to the ground knocked away by the great wind.

" All right... Couldn't have asked for a better chance... Good Luck guys! "

He says and then Banishes from sight after snapping his fingers.

Teo Casted Greater Invisibility on himself.

candycorn
2011-12-15, 01:32 PM
@Misaat:Actions cannot be taken prior to initiative.

Misaat
2011-12-15, 01:49 PM
Oh... Didnt know we where in the combat round already Sorry

stack
2011-12-16, 10:06 AM
Alexander allows the wind to blow his cloak back. Using one hand to shield his eyes, he waves his hand and speaks, his breath stolen by the winds.

casting haste (automatically quickened per swiftblade) concentration check vs DC 23 [roll0], effects all allies within 55'

Now is my chance. I must strike. If I can draw it's attention, the others will be able to join the fight. Invigorated by the familiar magic enhancing his body, he draws his blade and flies forward, pressing through the maelstrom.

Finally he breaks through into the clear air rushing from around the dragon. He strikes quickly as he passes under, black blade reaching for scaled belly as he is buffeted by the downdraft.

Okay, previously activated boots of flying, which grant 60' fly speed. Swiftblade adds 10' to all movements. Spending 30' to go up 15' (or less if the dragon is lower) (hover specifies within 20' of the ground, so that is the max move required to get within 5' reach)

bounding assault to not take AOO's from dragon and one other (designating the first half-dragon close enough to get an AOO on Alexander, if any), moving to H-12

Both attacks (bounding grants a second at -5) against the dragon using +1 collision, magebane longsword (assuming magebane applies, as a dragon this size should be an arcane caster)

attack 1 [roll1] (17 + 2 for magebane)
damage [roll2] (wielding 2-handed) 10+2 for magebane)
swiftblade bonus damage for moving 10+ ft [roll3]
magebane bonus damage [roll4]

attack 2 [roll5] (11 + 2 for magebane)
damage [roll6] (wielding 2-handed) 10+2 for magebane)
swiftblade bonus damage for moving 10+ ft [roll7]
magebane bonus damage [roll8]

candycorn
2011-12-16, 06:35 PM
@In the cloud:Alexander blurs past the half dragons, who are still too stunned by the thought of someone actually moving towards them to act. His blade thrusts twice in lightning quick strokes, only to deflect off of impossibly hard scales. Indeed, the strikes seem to serve little purpose other than to announce one creature's audacity in actually striking at a dragon.

The wind effects fade, though the dragon continues to hover, filling the area with snow... A low chuckle escapes its throat, as it says, "A Dragon Guard raises steel against me... Oh, wait... No... Merely a maggot in the guise of one. No matter. After I kill you, most here will die, along with a good number of your town. And I promise you, it will not be quick, and it will be most painful."

and it attacks the foolish creature that sits beneath it!

Mechanics:All attacks at Alexander:

Bite Attack: [roll0]
Concealment chance, if any: [roll1] low misses
Damage: [roll2]
If hits, opposed grapple: [roll3]
If successful, additional damage: [roll4] and grappling

Claw Attack: [roll5]
Concealment chance, if any: [roll6] low misses
Damage: [roll7]
If hits, opposed grapple: [roll8]
If successful, additional damage: [roll9] and grappling

Claw Attack: [roll10]
Concealment chance, if any: [roll11] low misses
Damage: [roll12]
If hits, opposed grapple: [roll13]
If successful, additional damage: [roll14] and grappling

Tail Attack: [roll15]
Concealment chance, if any: [roll16] low misses
Damage: [roll17]
If hits, opposed grapple: [roll18]
If successful, additional damage: [roll19] and grappling

In the event of a grapple, the dragon is not considered grappled, as it has accepted a -20 penalty to the grapple check.

Afterwards, all 6 of the half dragons recover enough to act, and they tense up, moving to G14, H14, and I14, scanning for anything visible.
Mechanics:Half dragons moved as necessary to the squares indicated, and readied actions.

@All:The wind effects vanish, though the snowglobe remains.

Listen check (DC -5 + 1 per 10 feet to the dragon's location (G12-I14, +5):You hear speech, a low rumble of words that you can't make out, unless...

If you beat DC by 10:The voice says, "A Dragon Guard raises steel against me... Oh, wait... No... Merely a maggot in the guise of one. No matter. After I kill you, most here will die, along with a good number of your town. And I promise you, it will not be quick, and it will be most painful."

Misaat
2011-12-16, 06:58 PM
Listen:[roll0]

" What a terrible situation... I think... "

Teo says as he gets on his feet.

" It's time for me to leave the scene... "

Swift action to stand up from prone thanks to my boots and then a standard one to cast greater invisibilitym Then a move action to move to M 13

candycorn
2011-12-16, 07:11 PM
@Stack:Need opposed checks from you.

Also, if, at any point, you are rendered unconscious, the dragon's remaining attacks will be stopped.

stack
2011-12-16, 10:28 PM
50% miss negates the first claw.

strength checks in order

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Yeah, that could have went better...

candycorn
2011-12-16, 10:36 PM
@Stack:Grapple checks also include BAB. Increase each roll by 11. This makes the first grapple resisted, and the second two not resisted.

Total damage: 80, in 5 packets (in case DR applies), and you're grappled.

llamamushroom
2011-12-17, 12:12 AM
Myfanwy

Listen Check (DC 4/14):[roll0]

Also, because it'll be her action in any case, shouting for the skeletons (80 feet away) to join in means a DC of, I think, 8, but I could be wrong. I'll roll their Listen.

Listen Check (DC 8?):[roll1]

Edit: Unless those skeletons have ranks in Listen, I doubt they'll be responding for a little bit. :smalleek:

Also, idiot me forgot to include attack/damage rolls in my original post, so I guess I'll include it in the OOC thread.

Myf hears a voice from the flurrying snow, and reacts the only way she knows how. From her position within the throng of villagers, she aims her intent at the dragon she knows to be at the centre of the maelstrom. The darkness that she let into her soul fills her, flowing down her arm and following the course she gives it with her mind, a dark that burns with the fires of hell.

Having unleashed the ball of flame, she calls out to the skeletons hidden in the snow, screaming at the top of her lungs, "Attack! Attack the dragons!"

TheFallenOne
2011-12-17, 03:42 AM
Furywing wrapped his wings around his body, going into a fast, undamped dive. Spreading his wings again 50 feet off the ground, he opened his metal jaws and spit forth a stream of fire at the center of the snowglobe, where he'd last seen the dragon. The elemental energy seemed oddly solid, entwining around the dragon's limbs and hampering his movement.

[roll0] halved, Reflex 26 halves again
[roll1]
[roll2]

Swift: rearrange Essentia
sword is drawn

candycorn
2011-12-17, 03:47 AM
@TFO:A stall, intentional or otherwise, results in a fall of 150 feet on the first round. I can't see how an intentional freefall would travel faster than an unintentional one.

Or are you using your movement to do this?

Also, the sounds of wingbeats is still occurring at high altitude. Still no visual.

TheFallenOne
2011-12-17, 03:53 AM
DM
ah, misread your post.
Okay, change that to 80 ft move action(double down speed) + 150 stall brings me to +70. With 65 line and the dragons size that should still be close enough

What exactly is 'high altitude', definitely out of the snow globe? A second dragon up there would be nasty

candycorn
2011-12-17, 04:47 AM
@TFO:'High Altitude', roughly, is 150 feet or more up. Precisely is hard to pinpoint, with your listen check. As the globe only extends 60 feet up, it is definitely outside of it.

@Stack:Unfortunately, party AoE effects are being levied upon the dragon, and you occupy its square, while grappled. Both yourself and the dragon are hit with a sticky wave of fire.
Damage: 12 fire (Reflex DC 26 half)
If damaged, you are entangled for 3 rounds.

On the bright side, there are now more enemies to draw the dragon's attention. Before, you were the only known combantant.

candycorn
2011-12-17, 08:15 PM
Player Combat action resolution

Teo stands up swiftly, and vanishes from sight. From there, he approaches the dragon, moving to M13.

Furywing plummets towards the snow cloud, and a lance of flame erupts into the cloud, piercing towards the center. You are afforded a brief glimpse of the dragon, gripping Alexander in a massive claw, as the fire washes over the both of them.

Myfanwy shoots a blast of fiery energy into the snowcloud as well, and shouts to her undead, lost within the cloud.

Current action: Stack.

Need player information from:
Llamamushroom:SR check for eldritch blast
Stack:Saving throw for Furywing's breath weapon, followed by your actions.

stack
2011-12-18, 06:00 PM
reflex [roll0]
Alexander struggles against the dragon's grip, vision going black, nearly breaking his teeth as he grits them against the pain.
grapple check [roll1]

candycorn
2011-12-18, 06:57 PM
@Stack:Opposed: [roll0]

candycorn
2011-12-19, 08:24 AM
The dragon drops altitude, just slightly, alighting upon the ground. The snowglobe thins, and fades away, revealing the dragon's full form, for the first time. Its wings seem a little misshapen, the muscles that support them almost freakishly overdeveloped. It then tosses Alexander aside, almost casually, and murmurs a brief arcane word. After, it strikes at the air, and the air comes alive, a bloody mist streaking towards Furywing's flying form.

Mechanics/OOC:The dragon lands (5 feet down), and releases Alexander as a free action (per the snatch feat). It then casts a spell (Blood Wind), and makes a full attack at Furywing.

Bite: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Claw: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]

Claw: [roll4]
Damage: [roll5]

Wing: [roll6]
Damage: [roll7]

Wing: [roll8]
Damage: [roll9]

Tail: [roll10]
Damage: [roll11]

candycorn
2011-12-19, 08:25 AM
Mechanics:Crit threat: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1] additional

TheFallenOne
2011-12-19, 06:47 PM
The red mist hit Furywing, causing cracks and fissures on the construct's metal husk, but overall he seemed unfazed. "Unimpressive. Surely you can do better." he said flatly, hoping to draw more fire by displaying a bit of arrogance. He then spat forth a blindingly bright bolt of lightning at the dragon's head.

Swift: Action Before Thought to recover from fall

Standard: ready action to use Blinding Breath on dragon if anyone does anything(need to use it outside my turn so I can use an immediate for the Barbs)

[roll0]
[roll1] and Blindness. Reflex 27 halves and negates Blindness
remember Entangle is a Reflex debuff with the dex penalty

stack
2011-12-20, 09:13 AM
Alexander picks himself off the ground, floating upwards several feet and slightly away from the dragon, still slowed by the clinging tendrils of energy. His form splits, the air around him filling with illusory duplicates.

Move up 15' and North 10 (using 40' of movement out of 50' available (100/2 due to entanglement)

casting mirror image, [roll0] duplicates, concentration check DC 17 is auto-pass with skill mod of +20

2 rounds of the entanglement down, one to go.

candycorn
2012-01-03, 08:38 PM
@Stack:AoO for movement:

Miss Chance (if necessary): [roll2] low misses *** Miss ***
If hit, Opposed Grapple: [roll3]
If Success damage: [roll4]
and you're pulled into the dragon's square

candycorn
2012-01-03, 09:27 PM
Player Action Resolution
Teo moves closer to Alexander and casts Freedom of movement, freeing him from the movement and attack impediments of Entangle (penalty to dexterity still persists).

Furywing hovers in place and lets loose a blast of lightning, crackling over the dragon.

Llamamushroom: No action posted since the previous round. Llama can post 2 rounds of actions next round, and I'll resolve both, the first prior to anyone, the next at normal order. If actions aren't posted by next round, this action will be forfeited.

Alexander moves away, and casts a spell, and 8 copies of him spring into being.

candycorn
2012-01-03, 09:33 PM
Dragon Turn:

Mylfwas launches himself in the air, ascending vertically 50 feet with surprising ease. It then takes a swipe at Furywing with a tail the size of a tree!

Mechanics:Bite Attack: [roll0]
Miss Chance: [roll2] low misses

Player actions.

TheFallenOne
2012-01-03, 10:00 PM
I wanted to say 'miss thanks to +2 dodge vs dragons', but then noticed I have no Essentia in Wormtail Belt. oopsie

The massive tail hit Furywing squarely in the chest, but the gash it left was a lot smaller than could have been expected considering the power of the blow. The construct opened its mouth again, but this time instead of elemental blasts it omitted an earsplitting shriek that painfully resonated in the head of the dragon before flying upward out of Mylfwas' reach.

delay to act right before the dragon's next action
DC 24 Will or stunned for [roll0] turns. Being attacked allows secondary save

Swift: rearrange Essentia
tumble 10 feet straight up(autosuccess)

stack
2012-01-04, 08:36 AM
Alexander flourishes his sword, using arcane power to fortify his strikes, then shoots forward, black blade lashing out at white scales as he streaks past. Once well clear of his foe, he turns around and readies himself for another pass.

Swift action to cast wraithstrike, Starting at H-10, ending R-12 (should have enough move left to get there while turning around, bounding assault to not take AOO's from dragon and one other (designating the first half-dragon close enough to get an AOO on Alexander, if any)

Both attacks (bounding grants a second at -5) against the dragon using +1 collision, magebane longsword (assuming magebane applies, as a dragon this size should be an arcane caster)

attack 1 [roll0] (17 + 2 for magebane -3 power attack)
damage [roll1] (wielding 2-handed) 10+2 for magebane +6 PA)
swiftblade bonus damage for moving 10+ ft [roll2]
magebane bonus damage [roll3]

attack 1 [roll4] (12 + 2 for magebane -3 power attack)
damage [roll5] (wielding 2-handed) 10+2 for magebane +6 PA)
swiftblade bonus damage for moving 10+ ft [roll6]
magebane bonus damage [roll7]

Could you update the map, please? It would save quite a bit of back-checking to post movements, plus I could figure out optimal ways to avoid the half-dragons. I understand they are a pain, I have to make them for the game I DM, takes forever.

candycorn
2012-01-04, 10:51 AM
@Stack:Freedom of Movement doesn't alter normal movement. Fly speed maneuverability (good) requires double movement cost to ascend. As you are at +15 altitude, and the dragon is at +50, you would need to ascend at least to +45 to attack, requiring 60 movement. You're also 20 feet north of the dragon, which would another 10 movement (assuming you went diagonal). That means it'll take 70 movement to reach a square you could attack the dragon from.

I'll update the map shortly, but I need altitudes for your ending location, in addition to square.

EDIT: Map (as of the end of the dragon's action):http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w85/maharai23/TributeDropUpload-1.png

Known forces:

Party (Illustrated in black)
Teo - I11, invis
Alex - H10 (+15)
Fury - H13(+70)
Myfanwy: H20

Opposition:
Dragon: H13-I14 (+60)
Half Dragons: G14 (2), H14 (2), I-14 (2)

Neutral Parties:
Villagers: G20, H20, I20

BelGareth
2012-01-08, 01:21 PM
Korvhaine looked at the sun through the cracks in the decrepit shelter, had he not had his divine warding up he was sure he would be sweating a new river for the desert floor to gulp down. He allowed himself to smile, he was constantly finding places to thank Kelemvore for his blessings, especially recently.

The portal lay before him, his vision had shifted slightly to encompass the magical spectrum of vibrant blue energy fields denoting spell matrices and general makeup, again another blessing from his patron deity.

The portals make up was strange, to say the least. He could easily make out the teleportive components but there were strange, unkown chords connecting at odd places to irregular nodes. The whole Matrix had thrown him right off at first, but he had stuck with it, finally he was able to manipulate the makeup and alter a strand he watched as several other strands moved also.

Strange, that shouldn't have happened. he thought to himself and then a blinding flash and a loud 'POP', instinctively he bought his hand up to ward his eyes, when he took them down he was standing in 4 feet deep snow.

"Ah yes, those alternate strands must have been submissive permission strands that had degraded changing and forming new strands as the energ...."

He stops himself as the snow suddenly reaches him, the bitter cold an intense shock to his system, but it was only for a moment, his divine protection instantly changing to match the new temperature. Again he was thankful for it.

His gaze looked over across the area, he saw a menagerie of strange creatures in the center not 50 or so yards from him, draconic creatures from the look of them, he heard sounds and looked up, his mouth dropped open in surprise.

There were beings attacking a dragon, actually attacking a dragon. His inner most feelings started to stir, he had been in the search for people like this. It was all he could do but jump up and down and sing praises to Kelemvore. But then reality hit, they were fighting a dragon, as in fighting one.

"I must help" he speaks out loud, the cold wind taking it no where in particular.

Widening his stance, feeling the snow crunch under his mailed feet he begins the prayer to a particular powerful spell he had rare occasion to call on.

Calling down the divine wrath of his patron he brings forth a mighty column of fire upon the mighty draconic being, and if his guess was correct from the setting, it was going to hurt.

Arriving at M-9
Casting Empowered Flame Strike (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/flameStrike.htm) at the dragon so as not to hit Alexander, using DMM and 2 turn undeads to empower the spell.

Spell resistance [roll0]
Range 230 ft, 10ft radius 40 ft high
[roll1]
or
[roll2] x 1.5 = 69
DC 22 Ref save for half damage
Half damage is fire[34], half is Divine energy[35]

candycorn
2012-01-08, 08:06 PM
@TFO:Assuming your stun ability is Frost helm, I need a SR penetration check, prior to resolving it. Since pretty much all dragons have SR, it may be more efficient to begin including it in your actions when using melds that target hostile creatures.

TheFallenOne
2012-01-08, 08:18 PM
DM
gah, sorry. Need to get used to that, again forgot about it
[roll0]
so... close

candycorn
2012-01-08, 08:54 PM
Player Resolution

Alexander darts forward, blade parting a half inch of thick scales like butter, once, then once more, scoring two telling blows before dancing back out of reach.

Teo's music bolsters the spell he cast, but even then, the spell doesn't even faze the massive creature.

Korvhaine appears on the battlefield, and the column of flame engulfs the dragon, leaving it scorched.

Furywing lets loose a deafening screech, but the dragon doesn't even seem to notice the noise.

candycorn
2012-01-08, 09:14 PM
Dragon Action

The dragon takes note of the new addition to the battle, rolls over, and dives, snapping at Korvhaine as he rockets past.

Mechanics:Dragon dives to K9/L10(+10), in a Flyby Attack...

If Hit, Opposed Grapple: [roll2] (accepting -20 penalty to not be considered grappled)
If Success: [roll3] Additional damage, and grappling.

Frightful Presence, Will DC 22, or be Shaken for [roll4] rounds. This is a Mind-affecting, Fear effect.

Dragon then continues east to S10-T11.

Player Actions (and need opposing rolls from Bel).

BelGareth
2012-01-08, 10:06 PM
Korvhaine smiles as the column of divine flame sheathes the dragon, the screech had just barely reached his ears just as he realized the beast was coming for him.

"Oh to the Nine hells!" he yelled as the dragon bit down on him as it flew past, wrenching him off the ground and taking him with it. The things teeth ground into him causing severe bleeding in his abdomen and waist.

Gritting his own teeth against the pain Korvhaine speaks a simple prayer to the fierce winter winds that were whipping him by. "Take me away."

He tried his hardest to concentrate as much as he could, but he couldn't muster the fortitude, his spell failed on his lips and the dragon took the opportunity to hit him again with his tail.

All he could do know as hope and pray to his god...

Dimension Door (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/dimensionDoor.htm) to A-21
Max Range is 960ft, So I should be fine.
DD only has a verbal component so I can cast it grappled.

candycorn
2012-01-08, 10:32 PM
@Bel:First: You need to make Concentration DC 20 to cast in a grapple.
Second: You'll be taking an AoO for the spell (Tail attack):

Attack: [roll0] vs your Flat-footed AC (Dragon is not considered grappled, whereas you are)
Damage: [roll1] and Concentration DC 10 + Damage dealt to keep spell

TheFallenOne
2012-01-09, 10:36 AM
Furywing recoioled from the whirlwind of flames engulfing the dragon. "Where did that come from?" His question was soon answered when the dragon snatched a person he hadn't seen before, taking off to the east. Furywing pursued, but ultimately couldn't keep up with the dragon's speed. Realizing this, he blocked the route to his companions, hovering in the air challengingly and ready for attack.

fly to K11+50
ready entangling firebreath to be used if dragon is in range

stack
2012-01-09, 03:02 PM
Alexander makes another pass, black blade lashing out again and again as he streaks by. Who is this newcomer? He aids us, that is certain, though why...does he not fear the dragons? I must do what I can, I know his position too well. Dragon's claws are no place to be.

N-11
Swift action to cast wraithstrike, Starting at E-12 (+45), using 5' plus the falling distance (20') to get enough move for two 90° turns, ending M.5-11 (each square is 10'. Alexander is on the far side of M, near the N border) (+25 AGL) bounding assault to not take AOO's from dragon and one other (designating the first half-dragon close enough to get an AOO on Alexander, if any, which I believe there are not)

attack 1 [roll0] (17 + 2 for magebane -4 power attack)
damage [roll1] (wielding 2-handed) 10+2 for magebane +8 PA)
swiftblade bonus damage for moving 10+ ft [roll2]
magebane bonus damage [roll3]

attack 1 [roll4] (12 + 2 for magebane -4 power attack)
damage [roll5] (wielding 2-handed) 10+2 for magebane +8 PA)
swiftblade bonus damage for moving 10+ ft [roll6]
magebane bonus damage [roll7]

candycorn
2012-01-13, 08:46 PM
Player Resolution

Alexander swoops in, yet again, maneuvering past the dragon's sweeping tail with ease, scoring two more deep hits.

Teo once again fires a beam of black energy at the dragon, only to have it scatter against the thing's hide.

Bel attempts to utter a spell, but a tail the size of a tree knocks the breath from his lungs, and the spell from his lips.

Fury glides towards the dragon, jockeying for position.

candycorn
2012-01-13, 08:53 PM
Dragon Action

The dragon hisses at the fresh wounds, even as the remnants of entangling fire fall off of it. The cloud of snow appears again, as the dragon begins hovering, but begins to dissipate, as it erupts upwards, flying to 70 feet above the ground...

It then drops the newcomer to the battle.

Mechanics:Dragon hovers as a move action, flies up 60 feet, and uses a free action to drop Korvhaine.

Falling: [roll0] nonlethal - soft snow
[roll1] nonlethal - first ten feet
[roll2] lethal damage
[roll3] additional lethal (if you fail the tumble check to reduce damage) -must have at least 1 rank to attempt)

BelGareth
2012-01-13, 09:12 PM
Khorvaine watched and grimaced in the dragons mouth as the thing flew straight up, it didn't take long for him to realize this was his departure point, releasing him high in the air he plummeted to the snowy covered floor below.

And then suddenly his decent slowed and he landed as a feather, his boots crunching the bitterly cold snow.

Khorvaine knew he must do something now, this fight must end. Recalling his most powerful spell he had he quickly realized that the beast was at the far reach of the spells range. Recalling what he had done to gain the dragons ire he whispered the same prayer, manipulating the divine energies to emulate the same affect as before.

"I hope this hurts"

rolling in OOC thread as I'm modifying a post and cannot add rolls.

stack
2012-01-13, 11:33 PM
Alexander watches as the newcomer begins to plummet to the ground. "Land carefully friend!"

His decent immediately slows.

Feather fall on Khorvaine (immediate action, range 55')

Alexander turns back to the dragon, surging through the air with sword outstretched, illusory copies dancing through the sky.

charge the dragon (100 ft/ round x2 for charge should suffice to get adjacent)

shock trooper to dump PA penalty onto AC (-11)
attack [roll0] (17+2 charge +2 magebane)
damage [roll1] (10+2 magebane+22 PA)

AC 5, HP 57

TheFallenOne
2012-01-13, 11:44 PM
Seeing the dragon didn't accept his challenge, Furywing got closer and and spat another stream of dancing flames at it, wrapping themselves around the beast's wings and limbs.

forgot ongoing fire before [roll0]
[roll1] halved, Reflex 26 halves again
[roll2]
[roll3]

candycorn
2012-01-14, 12:20 AM
Alexander watches as the newcomer begins to plummet to the ground. "Land carefully friend!"

His decent immediately slows.

Feather fall on Khorvaine (immediate action, range 55')

Alexander turns back to the dragon, surging through the air with sword outstretched, illusory copies dancing through the sky.

charge the dragon (100 ft/ round x2 for charge should suffice to get adjacent)

shock trooper to dump PA penalty onto AC (-11)
attack [roll0] (17+2 charge +2 magebane)
damage [roll1] (10+2 magebane+22 PA)

AC 5, HP 57

@stack:Unless your maneuverability is perfect (or, like Mylfwas, you have the Power Climb feat -which is why his wing muscles were described as freakishly developed), you are required to move at half speed while ascending, which prevents charging.

Misaat
2012-01-14, 01:13 AM
Teo's face contorts into a invisible frown.

"Dammit! This Dragons are truly resistant! I need to get him down now..."

He thinks as he begins to play another song of power on his lute and points with his fingers at the dragon calling fort the powers of Darkness he mimics a binding force!

Casting Shadow Evocation Mimicking a Wingbind spell (page 240 SpC)

SR:[roll0]
The dragon gets a Reflex Saving if he saves he just dodges it(DC 20)
And the Will Save (DC 21) I dont really know how it would work to be 20 % effective.

Anyway if he doesn't save both of them he basically falls to the ground like a bag of potatoes and is entangled

candycorn
2012-01-14, 01:21 AM
Teo's face contorts into a invisible frown.

"Dammit! This Dragons are truly resistant! I need to get him down now..."

He thinks as he begins to play another song of power on his lute and points with his fingers at the dragon calling fort the powers of Darkness he mimics a binding force!

Casting Shadow Evocation Mimicking a Wingbind spell (page 240 SpC)

SR:[roll0]
The dragon gets a Reflex Saving if he saves he just dodges it(DC 20)
And the Will Save (DC 21) I dont really know how it would work to be 20 % effective.

Anyway if he doesn't save both of them he basically falls to the ground like a bag of potatoes and is entangled

@Misaat:
If the disbelieved attack has a special effect other than damage, that effect is one-fifth as strong (if applicable) or only 20% likely to occur.Emphasis mine. If the will disbelieves, there's an 80% chance the effect doesn't happen.

candycorn
2012-01-17, 03:18 PM
Player Resolution

A shadowy net of force streaks toward the dragon... Mylfwas sees it just in the nick of time, and folds his wings, dipping beneath it...

Right into a tower of inferno that erupts around it. Nothing the dragon could do lessened the force of that blast, and it emerged badly injured...

Just as Furywing's flames wrap around it. The dragon, in a last ditch effort to escape the flames, ceases flying entirely, and avoiding the worst of the flames...

...But it is too little, too late. The dragon's fall becomes all too involuntary as it loses consciousness to the fiery assault... Korvhaine looks at the clearing flame to see the giant mass plummeting straight towards him.

Mechanics: Failed will save vs wingbind, passed reflex.
Failed Reflex vs Flame Strike.
Passed Reflex vs Breath weapon, which brought it to -3 hp.
Remaining Fall damage will kill the dragon.

Characters underneath falling dragon: Korvhaine.
Need Reflex save, DC 15.
Failure results in: [roll0] damage from the weight of at least a ton of dragon flesh and scale hitting you. (damage calculated from CW improvised weapon table, for 1 ton. Reflex save to negate based on bombardment attacks from Heroes of Battle).

Player Rewards: Experience: 975xp per player (calculated 4 players, CR 13

Achievement Award: 525xp (killed first dragon)

Total experience per player: 1500xp.

Treasure: Dragon had no treasure on body, as he was flying light. However, the villagers have fled (in addition to your warlock companion), leaving behind the dragon tribute. Within that, there's a modest amount of valuables, though it's a bit heavy.

BelGareth
2012-01-17, 05:16 PM
Khorvaine watches as the huge beast is wracked by spell after spell, so intent is he that he fails to see the huge shadow of the beast quickly becoming larger and larger until he realizes the dragon is falling like he was a moment ago. Suddenly his world was in motion, his instincts kicking in moving his legs before he could think, he was flying through the air and landed awkwardly on the hard packed snowy floor as the huge beast 'THUMPED' into the earth where he was standing only a few moments before.

He wanders in amazement at the turn of events a genuine smile of happiness plays across is mouth. They had done it! he thinks to himself rising his arms in the sky.

Ouch! he instantly drops his arms as the wounds from the dragons mouth tear a little wider from the moment of joy. Looking up to the sky and smiling once more he mouths the prayers to a couple of basic healing spells.

Spontaneously casting Cure Critical wounds and Cure Serious wounds, sacrificing Death ward (4th) and Protection from Energy (3rd).
Cure Critical wounds: [roll0]
Cure Serious wounds: [roll1]

Once healed he kneels down in the snow and thanks his Lord Kelemvore for seeing him through the battle and allowing him to live one more day in his service to him.

stack
2012-01-17, 06:35 PM
Alexander returns to the ground, carefully ensuring their foe is truly perished. That done, he turns to the newcomer. "Hail friend! I do not know who you are or how you came here, but you're arrival is most welcome. I am Alexander Marksen."

If he is from some other world, he may not know what he has fallen into.

TheFallenOne
2012-01-17, 06:45 PM
Furywing dived to the ground with blinding speed, landing in a kneeling position. When he lifted his head, pupilless eyes burning with azure fire fixed on Khorvaine and he moved closer, the snow recoiling from his step before his heavy feet touched the ground. "I don't know who you are or where you came from, fleshling, but your actions gained you some trust - for now." With that, he moved past the cleric without sparing him a second glance, stopping in front of the broken body of the dragon. Not taking any chances, he sent a crackling bolt of lightning right through the eye into the beast's brain.

BelGareth
2012-01-17, 06:56 PM
Khorvaine almost finished with his prayer, smiles with his eyes closed at the approach and greeting from the man.

Opening his eyes he turns and looks to the man and nods.
"Well met Alexander Marksen, I am Khorvaine humble cleric of Kelemvore. I too would say it was more than mere coincidence that I arrived here of all places." he spreads his arms out wide gesturing to the locale.

Standing, he brushes of the snow from his clothes and armor, his hand brushing past the tears in his armor and padding below.

"I was looking into an ancient portal in the Haobi desert when it decayed on me and sent me here, and when I saw what was going on I knew I had to help you. I have been searching for people like yourselves for a while and had given up, sending myself far away from the clutches of those in power..." his face suddenly changes, his eyes widening "well at least I hope you all are what I'm looking for." he finishes somewhat sheepishly, waving his hand as if what he just said wasn't important he continues "Never mind that, are any of you hurt? I can heal your wounds."

Khorvaine merely watches the strange being land and walk by him, he nods in silent acquiescence.

TheFallenOne
2012-01-17, 07:43 PM
"If you were looking for enemies of the dragons, you've found them. And we are far from done. So better know what you're getting yourself into, you wouldn't be the first coward running off screaming."

He took the still breathing halfdragon and, after disarming him, unceremoniously dumped him in front of Khorvaine's feet. "Heal this wretched thing. There are two more dragons in this area and we need to know where their lair is. We need to hit them before they hit us with their combined might and fully prepared."

BelGareth
2012-01-17, 08:26 PM
Khorvaine watches as the mechanic being drops the unconscious half dragon at his feet, his face goes from an amused surprise to an obvious distaste.

"I will help you as much as I can," he pauses and kicks the thing in front if him "even if I must heal this thing"

He will spontaneously cast Cure light wounds, sacrificing a Summon Monster I:
[roll0]

Reaching down he touches the creature with his hand.

stack
2012-01-17, 09:22 PM
"We have just not begun our struggle to break the power of the dragons. I fear without your aid it would have been a brief struggle indeed. I am somewhat weary, though I believe I bore less of its wrath than you. I fear my wounds are yet another reminder to look before leaping."

"Any information we can glean would be a boon. I agree that we must move quickly, though that may be too often my counsel. I am not unaware of my faults."

57/113 HP

candycorn
2012-01-17, 09:23 PM
It regains consciousness, and opens its eyes. Seeing Korvhaine right above it, it immediately reaches for its sword... An action that it stops when it sees the corpse of the dragon in the background. It's eyes go wide with shock for a moment, before it speaks.

"Good riddance. Damned beast made our lives hell here. And beast would be putting it kindly. Did you know that thing once told us that any proper dragon needed to know how to fly, so he dropped several of us and watched them fall to their death?"

TheFallenOne
2012-01-17, 09:35 PM
"Amusing thought, should you prove uncooperative", Furywing announced, unfolding wings of razorsharp steel. "The lair of the others. Where is it? We only care for the 'true' thing - a halfblood like you can be spared if it is helpful to our cause."

candycorn
2012-01-17, 09:48 PM
"The lair? On foot, in this weather? About 2 days to the northwest. The easiest way in is the main entrance, a cavern mouth in a box canyon. If I recall correctly, Alistral is the only 'true' thing there at the moment, but he has several half ogre offspring there, so watch out."

TheFallenOne
2012-01-17, 09:52 PM
"We heard of a third one, Gaurifas. What about him?"

someone with a better mod Sense Motive this guy please. Bit convenient turn-around, 'Oh, I too hated that dragon after all'

candycorn
2012-01-17, 10:30 PM
"He went out when Mylfwas collected tribute, and arrived back a couple days later... Never took any one with him when he did... Doesn't do it on every tribute run, either... Only about two per cycle."

BelGareth
2012-01-18, 12:00 AM
Khorvaine smiles as the half dragon reaches for his weapon, part of him and almost hoped he had drawn it so he could draw upon Kelemvores blessing and give the thing at his feat the 'touch of death'. But it would be otherwise.

Not trusting a single syllable that came out of the things mouth Khorvaine scrutinized what it said.

Sense Motive: [roll0]

Listening to the words he tells his new found comrades "I can confirm that statement with a spell, it allows me to locate a place and tells me in what direction, but it is limited to only an hour or so, not days." thinking for a second, "I could divine the location of the lair and if it's in a different location we kill this thing and move off? Days means the dragon had to fly a far distance, it won't be several days before the other one knows of what has happened here. At least that allows us to move in the right direction and be prepared for the dragon, I know I can use a change of spells, my current ones were not prepared with the thought of combating dragons."

"And if we are in a hurry I can turn us into wind and we can move as the clouds do, 2 days travel would slim down to nothing in a few hours." he adds thinking a little more on the subject.

Having apparently finished his soapbox he moves over to Alexander and casts a spell, "I shall heal these wounds of yours." he says simply.

Healing him for 54 HP's

He is talking about the spells:
Find the Path (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/findThePath.htm)
And Wind Walk (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/windWalk.htm)

candycorn
2012-01-18, 04:57 AM
The half-dragon states, "No, it's two days travel, over land, in heavy snow. The dragons fly much faster, and ignore the weather. Mylfwas's tribute runs usually take no more than six hours. Gaurifas, I don't know, but their entire domain wouldn't take more than a day to cross from one end to the other."

@Khorvaine:Sense motive determines that you don't detect any attempt to give you false information. What he's told you seems to be true, by and large.

stack
2012-01-18, 07:59 AM
"If we had a means to see it, I could take us there in an instant. However, I must know the place, distance and direction is not enough. Khorvaine, do you have any means that would let me see what we seek?" He avoids meeting the gaze of the half-dragon, the tumble of emotions roiling inside him. Though he chose irrevocably to fight the dragons, his whole life and training had still been in their service. Old habits and patterns do not go quietly.

Teleport available, needs to see or be familiar with the destination.

He walks over to the tribute sled, casting a minor divination to inspect it for the unlikely presence of magic.

TheFallenOne
2012-01-19, 11:09 PM
"Great, magical scouting and magical instant travel, we may still have the initiative. Get yourselves prepared, if we don't take that much longer than six hours they shouldn't know yet something is amiss."

Unable to determine the worth of the tribute, Furywing indiscriminently piled all the manufactured goods into his bag of holding

unless there are things able to cut the bag from inside of course

I'm also short 56 HP

candycorn
2012-01-20, 12:15 AM
@Fallen:Nothing in the tribute looks dangerous to the bag. And I'll even go so far as to say that the tribute's pieces are small enough to fit in the opening of the bag. It'll take about 10 minutes to get it all in, piece by piece, but it's doable.

BelGareth
2012-01-20, 02:36 AM
Khorvaine looks to Alexander as to the question posed to him,

"I too have the ability to Teleport us but lack the means to see far off places. As I said, my spell selection as of now is extremely limited towards the current predicament. But it is as your warforged friend said, we must act now."

With that he turns to the strange looking warforged, he had heard and seen others before, but this one was... different. He could tell the being was injured however and he also knew it would take one of his stronger spells.

"Would you allow me to say a prayer of healing for you?" he asks FuryWing, not knowing his name, approaching the strange and powerful being.

If he lets him Khorvaine casts Heal
sacrificing Gr. Dispel Magic: 130 (65 total)

"If it says anything, this thing is telling the truth as far as I can see. Not that it indicates much. We must do something, and quickly. We can travel as fast as 60 miles past the hour, I believe that is fast enough to get to this cave."

I'm a little confused about the distance, 3 days, but the dragons do it in 6 hours?

candycorn
2012-01-20, 03:32 AM
@Belgareth:Using the overland movement (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/movement.htm) for 30 speed creatures, the travel distance that such a creature may move, without a forced march, is 24 miles. Since the deep snow imposes a x2 movement cost, that becomes 12 miles per day. That puts the distance between 24-36 miles away. If you flew at a speed of 30, the trip would take 1 day, as you'd be avoiding the snow penalty.

Compare that distance to Overland movement for dragons (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/dragonTrue.htm).

Flying creatures bypass the snow speed reduction, allowing a dragon with 200 speed, such as a white, to fly 30 miles in an hour on a leisurely move, and 60 on a hustle. Since dragons only need to check hustle every other hour for nonlethal damage, and since any character can hustle for 1 hour without penalty, that means that, a dragon on a leisurely pace can travel a 45 mile route and back in 3 hours. If it needs to hustle for half the route, it could make it in 36-48 minutes. If it hustled for an hour, and glided the rest, it would make the round trip in 2 hours. The remaining time could be used for scouting, stretching the wings, or whatever.

Yes, I researched the issue carefully before giving you time frames.

TheFallenOne
2012-01-20, 01:35 PM
Furywing ignored the looks Khorvaine was giving him. It was difficult to read his mood, given the total lack of facial epressions, but somehow he gave off an air of contempt - not towards the cleric in particular, but against everything around him.

"We have to make sure the townspeople do nothing stupid, like warning the dragons if they have the means of long-distance communication. You" he gave the half-dragon a shove between the shoulder blades before rising two dozen feet into the air Follow."

Approaching the ravaged remains of the town, he stopped above the main mining building and gave off a horrifying shriek that echoed across the landscape.
Frost Helm. No target, just to get attention by doing this as loud as possible. Wait some moments so people can get to the doors/windows

"Mylfwas is dead! His broken body lies where he tried to take the earnings of your slave-labor. Make no mistake, humans, the dragons won't forgive you for harboring us, even should you attack us now or try to warn them about what transpired here. Your opressor is dead, but by our actions your lives are forfeit should you stay here. Flee, as far as you can, and try to survive. Some of you may think the route now forced on you is worse than the pathetic life of servitude you live now. To this I say I don't care. If you can't bring sacrifices to break this yoke, you deserve whatever comes to you. And should you perish in the wake of this revolution, then at least rest assured in the knowledge that the age of dragons is at an end. ONE IS DEAD, MORE WILL JOIN THE DUST."

He paused a moment, giving the half-dragon below him a look after this announcement. "Here is one of the dragon's offspring. I am bound to spare him for he gave us valuable information, but you are not. Do with him as you please."

not the most motivational speech, but well, what do you expect from a nihilist

BelGareth
2012-01-20, 03:02 PM
Khorvaine watches with a mix of interest and intrigue, the being confused him some what but he could also understand his actions, albeit in a slightly different fashion.

He had no love for the dragons and was even thinking on the same thing, perhaps with a few limbs lost before letting the villagers at it but the end result was the same.

"Well then, if we have nothing further to do shall we be off?"

If so, he will cast Find the Path (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/findThePath.htm) (lasts for 130 minutes) and then immediately afterwards Wind Walk (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/windWalk.htm) on everyone (up to 5 people).

And then guided by Find the path he will lead them to the cave of the dragon.

stack
2012-01-20, 04:04 PM
"Let us go. I hope we are as successful the second time. I never thought we would strike at two dragons in one day. A good start, if we live."

candycorn
2012-01-21, 12:24 AM
Getting a bit ahead of ourselves.

You approach the town, to find something unexpected.

The town is much more heavily damaged than before. Most of the buildings are open to the elements. The mine shaft is empty, and appears to be partially collapsed. Thick sheets of ice completely cover one of the buildings. A small group of townsfolk are hacking at the ice with ice picks.

TheFallenOne
2012-01-21, 12:54 AM
aww, that will likely ruin my speech

Furywing paused a moment, suprised at the unexpected destruction. "I heard wingbeats above me while Mylfwas was on the ground. I assumed it was some unrelated animal or beast, but I may have been wrong. Be prepared."
He ascended, scanning the town for any life except the villagers and assessing the damage before adressing the townspeople. "What happened here?"
redistribute Essentia
darkvision 120, Knowledge Arcana to judge if the ice and collapsed shaft is due to breath weapons/magic [roll0]
if I get any indication for the presence of another dragon I remain silent

candycorn
2012-01-21, 02:10 AM
@Fallen:Ice was likely caused by multiple breath weapons over several minutes. Collapsed shaft looked to be the result of physical damage.

No sign of dragon presence.

Response to query:The townsperson doesn't pause from his work chipping away at the ice, but replies, "Gaurifax happened, that's what! Less than twenty minutes ago, he swept in, and started bellowing about harboring enemies of the dragons, and smashing things. He killed over half of us, and rounded up half of what's left in this building, and sealed it over! They're alive, but they won't be for long. That's a small building, and there are over eighty people in it. Air won't last for long!

TheFallenOne
2012-01-21, 12:57 PM
"Oh you've got to be kidding me!" More silently, to his companions, he continued "So Gaurifas was there all along, but he let us slaughter Mylfwas without interfering... Seems they weren't friendly with each other."

Furywing landed heavily on the ground, a metallic clonk resonating from the impact. "Point me to the door, and then stand back fleshling." Barely giving the man time to clear the area, he spit forth a searing gout of flame at the ice, again and again and again.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]
[roll11]

acid deals full damage to objects, fire half, but I assume the ice's weakness to fire offsets that

stack
2012-01-21, 02:06 PM
Alexander stands back and surveys the damage as his companion deals with the ice. I knew this was a risk, but I never thought it would happen so fast. His body had barely hit the ground when this was done. Even if we succeed, will there be anyone left to enjoy it?

BelGareth
2012-01-21, 02:18 PM
Khorvaine watches as Furywing blasts the ice, it intrigued him that a dragon would allow another of there own kind to be killed.

Or perhaps he thought we would be dealt with?

The thought intrigued him, but there was no way of proving his hunch. For now prudence would have to suffice.

"This holds bad, we have lost our edge of surprise and now our haste would be poor judgement, as our foe obviously knows of our presence, although it may not know we are alive still." he looks to the frightened people between the blasts against the ice "still, this will hold us up, and how we deal with the populace is going to determine many factors down the road. If we make people fear us, it may make things harder."

Looking to Alexander "I would like to find a place to rest for the day after these people have been freed, we can recover our spells and then I can choose a....more appropriate repertoire of spells. And I assure you, then any dragon we face will suffer our wrath."

candycorn
2012-01-21, 06:38 PM
After no more than a few blasts of fire, the small building is open to the outside air. Those within are quite visibly panicked, and are huddled as close as they can together on the far wall.

Several townspeople rush in with blankets, and heavy clothing, while the one that spoke to you before looks at Furywing with a rather large amount of surprise.

"You...slew Gaurifas!? I'm not sure what to make of this. I hold no love for that wretched thing, but had you not done so, our village would still be as it was." The man sighs, and shakes his head. "I have a thought. A year or so back, I was leading one of our hunting parties, and we came across a very small tribe of frost giants that seemed to have its own community in the mountains to the southeast. It seems that the tribe had largely escaped detection. At the time, they had come to our aid when the group encountered a serpentlike beast, blazing with heat. They sheltered us for a night, resupplied us, and sent us on our way. Perhaps if you sought them, they may be able to aid you.... And perhaps the dragons wouldn't exact payment for your deeds from our town when you did."

BelGareth
2012-01-21, 07:09 PM
Khorvaine looks to the man who spoke up.

Well I'll be he thought to himself, and then he smiled, Ah yes, mighty Kelemvore how you work in mysterious ways!

Looking to the man, he decided to be prudent, this was good news indeed and would fit most of there needs. But he had his doubts.

Sense Motive Check [roll0]

TheFallenOne
2012-01-21, 07:28 PM
"As it was... You mean the broken shell they left behind after you couldn't pay sufficient tribute?" The azure fire in the construct's eyes flared threateningly. "But what should I expect, everyone with enough backbone must have died when the dragons slew your friends, brothers and children."
He turned away from the man, adressing the populace in general. "Yes, Mylfwas is dead! Gaurifas, the coward, decided to take revenge on you instead of facing us. We will leave now, continuing the fight. Keep cowering in fear if you must, I've learned to expect nothing better from most of your kind. You may or may not live to see the end of the dragons, but though you paid a heavy price, you lived to see one of them die. His broken body lies outside where he wanted to take the earnings of your labor. Go out there, celebrate, and if they come to kill you for it stand tall and take it instead of continuing this sorry excuse for a life. Die free like that and maybe you may yet earn my respect."

being an ass can be so much fun

candycorn
2012-01-21, 09:18 PM
@Khorvaine:He doesn't seem to be lying.

The man gives Furywing a look of disgust, and returns to assist his companions.

stack
2012-01-22, 02:14 PM
Alexander holds his tongue as Furywing chastises the villagers. What choice have they had? They have no power to fight. We are the mightiest non-dragons I have met and we struggled with one foe. How could broken, unarmed villagers do more? But he acted quickly to save them. I don't know what to say to them, me, the one who served the dragons days ago. "Let us visit these giants, if they yet live."

BelGareth
2012-01-23, 01:05 PM
Khorvaine thinks for a second and then starts casting a spell:

he casts Find the path with the key statement:
"Show me the path the to the closest Frost Giant village South east from here"

Once that takes hold (whether or not it does) he casts Wind Walk on everyone saying "Follow my lead, my divinations will only allow me to see them."

If Find the path doesn't trigger from the statement, then we can literally search while in cloud form, should be able to cover a lot of ground with speed up to 60mph.

candycorn
2012-01-23, 09:34 PM
Find the Path works just fine, leading you into a mountain range, and, in short order, you arrive. From the air, you couldn't see the entrance at all, but traveling lower at the behest of the spell, you see that the entrance to a cavern is concealed almost perfectly by overhanging rock formations. You also see, as you approach, that the entrance, only 10 feet wide and 15 feet tall, is guarded by at least one giant.

BelGareth
2012-01-24, 01:23 AM
Khorvaine drops down to the ground hovering silently before the entrance that was guarded by the giant, he waited for his companions to reach the floor of the snowy forest below before dismissing the spell and then stood in silent acquiescence to his companions to take the lead.

He was no speaker and he had gotten them here, it was time for him to stand aside and allow them to work. He wouldn't want to ruin things with his awkward words. Although if they lacked the ability to speak Giantese he would have to resort to recovering as spell he had used...not something he wanted to do, but doable under the circumstances.

No he would wait for his companions to make the move, he was no leader, and they had barely met each other.

stack
2012-01-24, 08:00 AM
Touching down lightly, Alexander turns to the others. "Does anyone speak giant?"

BelGareth
2012-01-24, 11:15 AM
Khorvaine shakes his head,

"I do not, but I have magic that would let me converse in it, if need be."

TheFallenOne
2012-01-24, 12:24 PM
I assume we brought some part of the dragon along. Head is too heavy likely, so an eye or severed claw should suffice.

"Let's try some more universal language then", Furywing said impatiently, throwing his bloody price in front of the giant's feet, staining the snow red.
"Know what this is? We are the enemies of the dragons. If your tribe likewise holds no love for these wretched things, help us."

yes, I know throwing some bits of gore in front of his feet can have quite different interpretations. Did I mention Fury isn't very good with people?

stack
2012-01-24, 12:38 PM
Alexander's eyes go slightly wide. "That's not what i meant. I hope they share your sense for the theatrical." To be safe, he spreads his arms wide, empty palms out.

TheFallenOne
2012-01-24, 12:46 PM
"Well, they need a clear statement to show where our loyalties lie, with you fool still wearing that stupid uniform."

or did you change clothes? If so I missed it

stack
2012-01-24, 12:52 PM
"I didn't exactly back anything else. I was transporting prisoners, remember? I'll find something else when I can. Besides, it could still come in useful."

TheFallenOne
2012-01-24, 12:57 PM
"Yeah, especially with convincing a tribe hiding from the dragons we come in peace. We just left a town where Gaurifas killed half the population in retaliation to our actions. Plenty of spare clothes to take."

that's it, I officially pronounce my alignment 'chaotic uncaring'

BelGareth
2012-01-24, 01:14 PM
Khorvaine watches as Furywing throws the bloody piece of dragon meat to the ground and yells at the giant.

Putting his hand up to his forehead he concentrates for a moment, recalled a spell he had sacrificed into positive healing energy.

Once recalled he wipes his hand down his face as if to wash away any frustration and then casts Tongues (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/tongues.htm) on himself.

Once cast he bellows out to the Giant standing guard:
"Sorry for my companions actions! We bring you the severed claw of a Dragon as we could not bring the whole body! We seek shelter with your clan!"

Using retrieve spell, spending 5 turn undeads to retrieve Tongues.
casting defensively [roll0] vs DC 19

candycorn
2012-01-25, 05:09 AM
The giant in the entryway looks at you appraisingly, before replying... In a slightly accented common, and more than a touch amused.

"You honor me with the language of our kind. It would be unseemly of me to not return the favor. What drives you to seek shelter with us? Are you too weak to shelter yourselves?" Here, he pauses for a moment, then continues, "No matter, I suppose. It may be possible for you to gain the shelter you seek, but you must gain an audience with the Elder before you can obtain it, and you must surrender your weapons to gain that audience. Otherwise, I'm afraid that this is as far as you go."

stack
2012-01-25, 07:50 AM
Alexander steps forward before Furywing can attempt further diplomacy. "As t our strength, we have brought evidence. For our weapons, I do this with great reluctance. I have seldom been without my blade. But to show our intent, I will do as you ask."

He slowly unclasps his scabbard from his belt, offering it to the giant with both hands.

BelGareth
2012-01-25, 12:22 PM
Khorvaine stands in shock, they speak common!

Shaking his and head and smiling ruefully at his hastiness. He shrugs his shoulders and undoes the clasp holding his mace at his waist and lays it down on the snowy floor.

Maybe Kelemvores power would not be wasted yet, the Elder may appreciate the tongue of their kind. he thinks to himself, trying to turn the not so frugal use of his powers into something good.

candycorn
2012-01-25, 11:44 PM
@Those who surrender arms, or show that they are unarmed: The giant accepts each weapon, placing them in an alcove to the side of the cavern hallway. Afterwards, he stands aside, opening the way for you. He states, "Follow the hallway until you see another of my kind. Present him this staff, and tell him it was entrusted to you, to demonstrate submission to our ways. He will escort you to a place where you may rest and take shelter, though you will, of course, be monitored. Sometime before this time tomorrow, the Elder will make time for an audience. If he decrees you worthy, you will be granted your weapons back, and we will provide what aid as we may. If not, you will get your arms back, but will be required to leave immediately."

TheFallenOne
2012-01-25, 11:44 PM
Furywing let out a deep rumble; it took a moment to realize this was likely laughter. "I am a weapon, created by humans who were too weak to fight for themselves. But I suppose you meant this little thing, so have it if it makes you content." He unbuckled the sheathed dragonfang at his hip and tossed it at the feet of the giant with a flick of his wrist.

candycorn
2012-01-26, 02:43 AM
The giant looks at you, amused, for a moment, before replying, "Please, if you wish to speak of little things, you will need to be a bit more specific. You're speaking to giants. If you are truly a construction of man, then you might well be 'this little thing'... At least, to some of my kind."

stack
2012-01-26, 08:54 AM
Alexander chuckles to himself at the giant's reply to Furywing as he takes the staff and does as instructed. Upon reaching the resting place, he sits down heavily. "Been quite a day. We should take what rest we are offered in case our audience goes against us."

BelGareth
2012-01-26, 01:16 PM
Khorvaine smiled at the dragons response to the overly dramatic companion he had recently fell in company with. Shaking his head he followed Alexander to the cave and was relieved at the fortunate outcome.

"Well, it seems even if they don't like us, they have provided what we wanted in the first place, rest for the night."

Getting down he unbuckles his armor and proceeds to remove it, looking it over he sighs.

"This is going to take a while to fix." he sits down and continues to pull at the tears in his armor, finally pulling out some minor tools to work on the armor for several minutes.

At Morning light he will pray to Kelemvore for his spells. He pulls out a small rolled up carpet like rug, looks to the sun and points the other way unrolling the rug on the ground. Kneeling down on the intricate rug he then proceeds to close his eyes and bring his hands towards each other, palms touching so that the hand of each arm is grasping the wrist of the other.
"Lord Kelemvore, I pray to thee that I may be uplifted in the times to come, that I may harness your grace and power to overcome those that would threaten your chosen emissaries, I pray that your grace fills my every actions and that you will shower me with your blessings as I ask for them." he pauses and then continues "I pray that my new companions may blessed likewise, that they will please you and the death of our enemies swells the afterlife."

Spell list:
Cantrips
Detect Magic 3
Light 1
Read Magic 2

1st Level
Longstrider [DOMAIN] 1
Light of Lunia 1
Bless 1
Lesser Vigor 2
Summon Monster 1
Endure Elements 2

2nd Level
Locate Object [DOMAIN] 1
Close wounds 3
Deific Vengeance 3
Status 1

3rd Level
Fly [DOMAIN] 1
Mass Aid 1
Mass Resist Energy 1
Mass Snowshoes 1
Mass Lesser Vigor 1
Mass Snowshoes 1
Mass Conviction 1

4th Level
Dimension Door [DOMAIN] 1
Assay Spell Resistance 2
Moonbolt 2
Sound Lance 1

5th Level
Teleport [DOMAIN] 1
True Seeing 1
Flame Strike 3

6th Level
Find the Path [Domain] 1
Wind Walk 1
Lucent Lance 1
Energy Immunity 1

7th Level
Greater Teleport [DOMAIN] 1
Destruction 1
Blood to Water 1

TheFallenOne
2012-01-26, 03:04 PM
Furywing's eyes flared for a moment at the giant's answer, then he roared with laughter. "How nice to see someone with guts after those villagers who acted more like cattle."

He followed the others to their designated resting place. "I don't sleep, so suit yourselves." If the prospect of sleeping while an unblinking Furywing kept watch was less than reassuring to his companions, he was oblivious to the fact.

candycorn
2012-01-27, 06:16 AM
The room you are escorted to is sparse, but not devoid of comforts. There are several furs, somewhat large for any of you, but suitable for sleep. There is no fire, rendering the room quite cool... However, there has been placed a small rock in the room, which is burning with a heatless light.

The next morning:Shortly after morning preparations, you receive word from the frost giants standing outside your chamber, that the elder has made time to see your group.

The elder is within an ice cavern, which is lit quite well naturally. It's even less cold in here, a small fire burning near the entryway (presumably for your comfort; these creatures seem completely comfortable in the numbing cold). The elder is small, by giant standards. Fully two feet shorter than any you've seen yet, and much less muscled, the old giant almost seems frail by comparison.

"So, here are the slayers of dragons. Welcome to my tribe, small ones. What is it that I can do for you?"

stack
2012-01-27, 09:38 AM
Alexander bows. "We have slain but one dragon, the beginnings of our task. We will overthrow their tyranny, or perish in the attempt. I am given to understand you are no friend to the dragons yourself. I thank you for your hospitality, regardless of your final decision."

"You have already given us part of what we seek, a place to recover after our battle. We have no call to ask of more, even that much is a great risk to any in this land. But if you are willing, we would hear of anything you know of where to find the lairs of other dragons nearby."

diplomacy [roll0]

Misaat
2012-01-27, 08:28 PM
Perfect time to step in just in time for my vacations to be over and me being back on the road!

Teo steps forward with a confident sneer on his face. After his disastrous performance in the last fight he had secluded himself to the back ... keeping silent... But this was public speaking! This was what he was made for!

" Indeed great Elder our accomplishment's have been few but we seel to perform even greater deeds in the future. We ask. NO! Beg of your race for any hint,weapon or warrior you can spare to help us on our noble task of banishing this Draconic Tiranny that has for so long afflicted this land "

Diplomacy!:[roll0]

Edit: Forgot the +4 from the 5 ranks in bluff and Sense Motive so it would be 29 XD

candycorn
2012-01-28, 12:44 AM
The elder giant looks at you, appraisingly, before replying...

"And what of your plan? What do you know of your enemy? What do you know of your allies? What can I do to help you to your destination, unless you know the path you are taking?"

BelGareth
2012-01-28, 11:42 PM
Khorvaine merely stands behind the speakers listening intently, if he had words to say he would say them. But he was not a man of many words, something he took as a certain sense of security, but also he knew he lacked the gift of a silvered tongue.

He had been taught at a very young age talking was for those who were in control, in charge. At this point he was neither, he was at the whim of this elder, who seemed to be beneficent, and that appeased his sense of honor for now.

He knew these giants must know the location of the Dragons and also that they must also be a considerable foe as so to must the dragons know about them, and for them to leave them alone speaks significantly about them.

What do they have to offer them? Probably nothing, that's always the problem with going against the grain, those who want to help you seldom cannot due to their current situation, it was an impromptu self slavery to the circumstance. But he held no grudge against people for keeping onto what had worked, it would take a good amount of work from himself and these new fellows to pull the worms out of the wood so to speak.

So for now he was content on listening from the background, and to wait.

I'm still, just have nothing to say to the elder:smallsmile:

candycorn
2012-01-29, 05:49 AM
The elder nods slowly, and sighs. "As I suspected. You don't really know what you are doing. Small ones, it takes more than the ability to kill a dragon to do what you seek. You need to find them and learn from them, for the dragons have the most accurate knowledge of their brethren. You need to seek out aid, supplies, and support.

I can only start you on your path. I cannot walk it with you. I do not like the control that the dragons have, but I cannot deny it. As long as they control the area, I cannot act openly. I am responsible to my people.

But I can offer aid. As you may have discovered, this region is something of a hotbed for portals. I cannot be certain, but I believe there was once a powerful civilization here, and the portals that remain are the failing remnants of that nation. I know several of those portals, and know of where they lead. I also know which portals are stable, and which are more... unpredictable.

Further, we watch the portals. Not too long ago, we discovered a warrior, who emerged from one of the interesting ones. He doesn't truly wish to stay here, and seemed to harbor quite the hatred of dragons, although we didn't question terribly much why. He's been aiding in hunting for the tribe, but I can release him to you.

I know some level of magic, as well. Should you discover valuable diamonds, I can bring your fallen back from the dead. I can heal you, also, provided you don't bring any dragons with you to our home. They've not learned its location, and I don't wish for them to figure it out.

Once the dragons controlling this region are gone, I will provide you with portals, as well as any knowledge my kind has on other regions, and the dragons that control them."

stack
2012-01-29, 03:03 PM
Alexander bows again. "You have offered more than we could have known to ask. If we succeed, it will only be by your generosity."

"As for the task at hand, we have the means to find the lair of one other nearby dragon. We had planned to set out as soon as we were rested. We intend to have the means to question this one after we are done, to discover the others. If you are willing, I would meet this warrior you speak of. If he shares our goals, I would welcome him gladly."

If our cleric friend could prepare speak with dead, it might come in handy afterward. Or we can bring the head back with us and question it in our spare time. Which we won't have much of if dragons are scrying on us/

TheFallenOne
2012-01-29, 05:01 PM
In a rare display of restraint, Furywing stayed silent to let others handle this delicate situation, but to his anger no one spoke up; clenching his fists, he kept himself from interrupting the Elder while he spoke again. "Regarding your question, we know the two most important things. We know they can bleed. We know they can die. After that, it's just a matter of trying hard enough.
Yes, we need a plan, but the best plan turns to ashes if you lack the resolve to see it through to the end, no matter the cost. I have that resolve. Blood stolen from them is what animated my shell; I know their strength, I know their weaknesses, and I won't rest until I've taken the former by exploiting the latter."

BelGareth
2012-01-29, 11:47 PM
Khorvaine nods in assent to all that has been spoken off.

"You are kind to us Great Elder, we shall take our leave of you if you have nothing further for us and see to this stranger from the portal."

Strange, another stranger from another portal? I shall have to ask him about the portal he came from and where.

With that he will move to head out, waiting of course to be directed on how and where to go.

candycorn
2012-01-30, 12:41 AM
The elder nods at the group, and speaks, "Then I will not keep you longer. The dragon Alistral's lair is some distance away. You are welcome to rest and resupply here; just don't let any dragons track you back here. You are free to travel here, as you like, and need no further escort while within the walls of my tribe. The warrior I spoke of returned from a hunting expedition just before the dawn. My kin can escort you to both him and his mount."

With that, the elder sits back down, upon a chair of ice, at the far end of the cavern.

stack
2012-01-30, 08:02 AM
Alexander speaks as they walk. "I must take a moment before we leave to make certain I am well acquainted with this place. That way we will be able to return quickly and without trail if we are in need. I think the room we rested in would be a good choice. But that can wait until after we meet this warrior."

BelGareth
2012-01-30, 11:09 AM
Khorvaine nods at the wisdom of this arcane warrior. "I too will do this, in case I may have to teleport us back."

Looking to the others to see if they are ready to go, he heads out to meet this warrior who had traveled here so similar to him.

GFawkes
2012-01-30, 02:37 PM
Khankhe rides on Salah, a few feet beneath the surface. The ground is nowhere near as soft as the sand he is used to, but it was still loose enough to burrow through. Emerging, he notices four humanoids that weren't giants.

"You all fall through a portal?" he asks, sliding off Salah and approaching.

stack
2012-01-30, 02:49 PM
Alexander offers his hand. "Greetings. I presume you are the warrior we were told of? I am Alexander Marksen. I will let my associates introduce themselves. As to your question, only one of us came here by portal. So, you wish to through your lot in with us against the dragons?"

Looking over Salah, "An impressive mount."

BelGareth
2012-01-30, 03:17 PM
Khorvaine is a little surprised at the entrance from the newcomer, he smiles ruefully at himself as he admonishes the fact that he was surprised.

So many things happening, its hard just to be a human

"Yes, I too was pulled through a portal, although I was inspecting it and it was...somewhat part my fault as to why. My name is Khorvaine a Cleric of Kelemvore" looking at the newcomers mount he continues "What manner of beast is this?"

GFawkes
2012-01-30, 05:22 PM
"I am Khankhe ibn Het ibn Menefer Manah, and this is Salah. He's an Ashworm. They're relatively common where I'm from." Khanke says, stroking Salah's side. He turns to Alexander, shaking his hand. "If you hunt dragons, then I would be honored to fight alongside you."

stack
2012-01-30, 06:38 PM
"Do you require any preparations before we set out? We slew one dragon yesterday and have the means to track another to its lair. It will not be an easy fight. Unfortunately we are likely expected, or at least not unexpected." He grimaces as his hand involuntarily brushes the pommel of his blade at the thought.

GFawkes
2012-01-30, 11:23 PM
"All I require for preparation is time to gather my things and get into my armor. I could use help with the last one."

BelGareth
2012-02-01, 07:52 AM
After Khorvaine is armored up he looks to the others, and seeing that they are ready he summons his spells from his mind once more to locate the lair of the dragons they were after.

"I will go scout out the lair by myself, if anything goes amiss I will return here and then take you all with me." he pauses and thinks for a moment "On second though, Alexander, I will need your assistance. I cannot bring everyone with me on the way there, so if you travel with me and I take you back, you will be able to teleport to the same place."

He offers his hand to Alex.

"Guide me to the lair of Gaurifas and Alistral" he says as part of the spell of divination.

Casting Find the path and Wind walk once more.

Find the path lasts for 130 minutes
Wind walk lasts 13 hours, Max 5 creatures, up to 600 feet per round (60 mph)

stack
2012-02-01, 08:19 AM
Whatever spirits are out there, look favorably upon us. Alexander stands next to the priest as he casts, mentally preparing himself for another battle.

This time, don't let him touch you!

dumping a 5th lvl spell into divine companion

candycorn
2012-02-01, 01:19 PM
@Belgareth:Which creatures are being targeted by Wind Walk?

candycorn
2012-02-01, 02:29 PM
@Belgareth:The journey is uneventful. There seem to be no traps or other special considerations on the lair. After a short time travelling (no more than an hour), you find the lair's entrance, approximately where the half dragon said it would be. Having guided you to your stated destination, Find the Path then terminates.

BelGareth
2012-02-01, 02:45 PM
"Intriguing, nothing seems amiss here. I don't like it, but it's not for me to scout alone into a dragons lair."

He muses to himself, and with that he zooms off back the way he came.

candycorn
2012-02-01, 02:49 PM
You make it back to the group with no problems...

OOC:I really should require the DC 15 Survival check to avoid being lost, but this lair is the intro lair. :)

BelGareth
2012-02-01, 03:51 PM
Khorvaine lands on the ground as his feet begin materializing into his regular form, patting himself down as if to check he was all there he moves forward towards the group.

"I have found the lair, nothing seemed out of place and no visible traps of any kind. It was as the half dragon described." he stops as he usually does thinking in between sentences "Which is why it worries me, but I wasn't about to go inspecting it by my lonseome."

He stops and crouches down, scooping up a handful of dirt almost idly, "So, what have we come up with to take us all there?" he points to Salah "it's going to be tough getting him there, I suppose I could teleport us all there, come back and bring him along." he stops short "it is a he, isn't it?"

Moving on as if the question didn't need any answer "But that is a mighty waste of magic just to get to the lair."

stack
2012-02-01, 04:00 PM
Alexander went with him, so they both can cast teleport.

Alexander touches down gracefully. "We should strike quickly, and in such a way as to not leave a trail here. We can each teleport part of the group, one bringing Salah, the other bringing the rest. The only problem is that this plan would leave me unable to do so again. While I plan to succeed, I would prefer to have the option to make a quick retreat."

BelGareth
2012-02-01, 04:24 PM
Khorvaine nods at Alexander's assessment of the situation "Indeed, it seems I was over thinking the issue. And in regards to escape, I will be able to cast several more if I choose my spells carefully. If retreat is needed"

He looks to the others "Are we ready to go?"

If everyone is good, he will cast
Mass Resist Energy (Cold)
Mass Conviction (+4 morale bonus to saves)
Mass Snowshoes
targeting everyone (including Salah), all spells last 130 minutes.

Then he will cast Teleport.

Alexander went with him, so they both can cast teleport.

didn't realize you came with.

TheFallenOne
2012-02-01, 07:07 PM
"I stand ready. The next dragon shall fall."

don't forget the Heroe's Feast before

Misaat
2012-02-01, 08:05 PM
" I would sing a song to raise our morale for the fight ahead buuut that might alert them of our presence hehehe "

Teo says as he checks the strings on his Lute.

candycorn
2012-02-01, 08:45 PM
Scene change: Alistral's Lair

Mechanics rolls:Teleport 1(Khorvaine's): [roll0]
Teleport 2(Alexander's): [roll1]

EDIT: Both on target

You arrive in the snow, at a box canyon. A wide and tall cavern entrance (25x25) leads downward into the ground, descending 5 feet for every 20 feet of travel. Due to the sun's position in the sky, it's difficult to see more than 25 feet in without special vision (darkvision functions normally, low light extends visibility to 50 feet).

There appear to be logs barricading the entrance, but they only extend about 2 feet above the ground (enough for large bipeds or huge quadrupeds to walk over it without penalty). There doesn't appear to be anyone visible within the range of normal vision.

Teleport arrival is 100 feet from the cave entrance, behind a rock outcropping that provides cover from the cave entrance.

GFawkes
2012-02-01, 09:54 PM
Khankhe climbs onto Salah's back, saddling in.

"So what's the plan here? Sneak in, or charge in, or ask nicely?" He asks the group.

stack
2012-02-02, 12:42 PM
Did we eat a heroes feast before we left? I was going to mention that. If not we should do so now.

Alexander smiles grimly. "I forgot to bring cookies. I guess we will have to go in the hard way. Sneak until we charge?"

candycorn
2012-02-03, 01:41 AM
Concerning Hero's Feast: It wasn't listed in the pre buffs, so no. If you'd like to spend an hour in front of a dragon's lair, snacking at a table, let me know. If not, announce actions for scouting/entering lair, or alternative plans, if you go with something other than that.

TheFallenOne
2012-02-03, 09:45 AM
"The dragon should have some form of alarm... Don't tarry to long with being sneaky. Try if you want, but if it slows us down we will come to regret it."

Furywing glided over the obstacles, scanning the entrance with his enhanced vision.
Darkvision 120

candycorn
2012-02-03, 07:24 PM
@Furywing: The passage travels down 100 feet before turning right. At 50 feet, there's a side passage to the left, and another to the right. Every 5 feet, there appears to be a hump in the passage running across, about the size of a speed bump.

Also, at the end of the hallway, there appears to be a ballista, facing the entrance. It is loaded and armed.

All passages listed are 25 feet wide.

BelGareth
2012-02-03, 07:29 PM
Khorvaine looks to the others and smiles "Who here can make a loud noise? I say we pull this dragon out and fight him here, where you" he looks to Alexander "have room to move and I can stay at range and it doesn't force the thing into melee with us."

"lets tug at its ego and push it out here." he said with a smile.

With that he continues to cat Status on everyone and activates his ring of invisibility.

Misaat
2012-02-03, 10:12 PM
" If that's the best Plan . It might be better for us to eat the feast that can protect us from their frightening appearance. If they appear we can have Furywing let us know and get prepared... And we've had lost nothing"

Teo says taking out his Magical Horn

BelGareth
2012-02-03, 10:17 PM
"Very well then"

Khorvaine then sits down and gets ready to feast, albeit invisibly.

TheFallenOne
2012-02-03, 10:25 PM
"We lose the preparation advantage. They'd only come at us when they're confident to win, and after slaughtering Mylfwas they won't take us lightly. In the hour it takes you to feast they can prepare our doom. We have to force a confrontation now."

Misaat
2012-02-03, 10:35 PM
" What are you talking about? If they know that we are here why didnt they attack us right now? And if they knew we where gonna attack them they probably have been prepared for a while now :smallconfused:"