PDA

View Full Version : If You Could Rebuild Yourself as a Level 20 Gestalt...

Pages : [1] 2

Rubik
2011-11-27, 03:55 PM
...what would you be? And by that I mean, let's say that you were given a magical character sheet, and you had to abide by the standard D&D rules, and anything is allowed except for Pun-Pun or divine ranks, and you were allowed to start at 1 XP away from level 21, with standard WBL, and 32 point buy. Once you finished your character, you tap the sheet twice while saying your own name, and you become what is on the sheet, in the real world. Nobody else gets these powers, and you can expect the potential of other monstrous incursions from, say, Greyhawk, that you'd have to protect against (a la superhero/villain).

What would you choose?

Me, I'd probably be a refluffed warforged spell-to-power erudite 5/metamind 10/ghostbreaker 5//factotum 15/erudite 5 (filling in the ML-blanks of metamind when they come up). I'd spend a ton of XP on every power and spell in every book up to level 8s (and with the Magic Mantle so I can use metamagic feats on my powers, such as an Ocular Spell'd, Chain Spelled Scholar's Touch for making use of a field trip to the Library of Congress), before using a thought bottle to refill my XP, as well as the Font of Power/Temporal Reiteration trick for infinite pp and virtual invulnerability (using Schism instead of my own actions).

I'd be immortal, have tons of immunities, and I could have all the wizard and psion goodness I could stand.

Take that, monstrous incursions. Who said I had to play fair since I'm the only one playing?

[edit] Oh, and no epic here. That's why you're 1 XP away. You can gain more XP, but only if you spend it first.

[2nd edit] Expect the incursions from any place at any time. You have 1 month to get used to your new abilities (and species, if applicable), recruit help, etc, and the incursions are everything from stock-standard kobolds to epic critters. Just FYI.

[3rd edit] LA and racial HD take up one of your levels, so it should take up one side of the gestalt. It does make LA buyoff (effectively) impossible, but you're still getting class-based goodness anyway.

TroubleBrewing
2011-11-27, 03:57 PM
I'd be the Wish, and have a good friend be the Word.

Tenno Seremel
2011-11-27, 04:02 PM
Well, plain Telepath // Warblade + research for a few useful discipline powers would be fine. Actually I've spent many days to construct such a character. Sometimes it's pretty fun to do :}

Link (http://serenareem.test/html/other/seremel-dnd-3-5.xml). Although it has bits of PF and a little of homebrew in it now but the idea should be understandable.

DoctorGlock
2011-11-27, 04:11 PM
lesser aasimar STP erudite/anarchic whatsit/incantatrix (using the magic mantle hack), wedded to history, with psi recharge and SU transform//Half Celestial transition (with LA buy off) druid/planar shepherd, i'd fly around and call myself the master of time and space and spam XP free wish and reality revision 10/round using swift concentration to maintain the bubble while projecting from my fast time demiplane.

I realize it's sort of pointless to type more since the OP and I are basically using the exact same gimmick

What, doesn't everyone want divinity?

Hiro Protagonest
2011-11-27, 04:27 PM
Human warblade 20//telepath psion 15/wizard 5.

The wizard levels are so I can craft a hideaway weapon.
http://images.movieeye.com/store/images/luke-skywalker-scaled-replica-lightsaber.jpg

Silva Stormrage
2011-11-27, 04:30 PM
Spell to Power Erudite/Thrallherd//Artificer

My thrall can come with any spells I want for my spell to power erudite and I can farm them for enough XP to craft any items I want for a fraction of the price :smallbiggrin:

TheGeckoKing
2011-11-27, 04:38 PM
Level 20 Gestalt? Probably Black Ethergaunt ECL 20//Quorbred Template +2 LA Factotum 18. I'll have enough brains for one guy, and thanks to Quorbred and Factotum, I'll have Int to everything.

Rubik
2011-11-27, 04:39 PM
Keep in mind, this is the real world, and you're the only one with powers. Going thrallherd will only get you mundane people, though you could probably get a few exceptional individuals, such as doctors and such.

Also, I'd totally be taking Perform: Sexual Techniques and Craft: Orgasm. I'm a skillmonkey, after all, and (as a warforged) immune to disease. :smallamused:

Rixx
2011-11-27, 04:41 PM
You can refluff on a magic character sheet?

Tokuhara
2011-11-27, 04:46 PM
Fireblood Dwarf Armored Hulk (Dragonscale Husk) Whirling Frenzy Barbarian 6/Runescarred Berserker 3/Virtuoso 1/Sublime Chord 1/Knight Phantom 9//Warblade 3/Dwarf Paragon 3/Deepwarden 2/Stonelord 9/Deepstone Sentinel 5 weilding a +5 Bastard Sword named Wavebreaker.

Randomguy
2011-11-27, 05:18 PM
I'd take beguiler 10/rainbow servant 10// sorcerer 5/incantrix 5/sorcerer 10

I'd take more levels of incantrix instead of sorcerer if 2 prestige classes at the same time were aloud.

(I know wizard is better, but I would hate to spend an hour each day preparing spells). I've got healing for when I/other people get sick or injured, I've got illusions to hide my powers and disguise myself, and I've got tons of utility and defensive spells from sorcerer. Elemental immunity, elemental body, overland flight, telekinetic sphere + sonorous hum, feather fall (just in case fly is dispelled), greater dispel magic, body of water (for freedom of movement), greater Ironguard, shapechange, orb of force, the like.

For magic items, I'd get all sorts of things to make my magic stronger (Memento magica, spellstaffs, rings of wizardry), some ability score enchancers, and a set of ring gates, since I like thinking with portals.

For feats, I'd take empower spell (bonus from incantrix), rapid metamagic, quicken spell (bonus from incantrix), extend spell, persist spell, versatile spellcaster, eschew materials, draconic heritage (bronze), Practical metamagic (quicken), Practical metamagic (persist)
Persist spell is so that I can persist some of the better low level spells, like bulls strength, bears endurance, and if necessary greater invisibility (using versatile spellcaster for the slot)

Alternatively, warlock 20//sorcerer 10/incantrix 10. Why warlock? Because an epic warlock feat gives you shades at will, which is awesome on very many levels. Essentially the same tactics here, but I'd need to pick more illusion and enchantment spells on the sorcerer side. On the other hand, less evocations and conjurations are needed, since warlock can blast well enough.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-11-27, 05:21 PM
I'd take beguiler 10/rainbow servant 10// sorcerer 5/incantrix 5/sorcerer 10

Why sorcerer 5? Does incantatrix (you spelled it wrong) require 3rd level spells?

Rubik
2011-11-27, 05:21 PM
You can refluff on a magic character sheet?Hey, it's my fantasy. I can do that kind of thing.

In any case, I wouldn't be human, but I have all the shapeshifting magic I could eat.

kulosle
2011-11-27, 06:04 PM
Oh wow all the options in the world. i relate a lot with druids. so i would want that to be on there, but i also like factotum and archivist. so something like divine minion factotum 19//archvist 11/planar shepherd 9. I would take the animal cohort feat to get an animal companion. I have know idea what race I would be. Kobold probably. If this option was actually presented to me, I would never be able to fully decide. I would be double checking and triple checking. I'd always be thinking "I only get to do this once, got to get it right." I'd probably never come to a decision

Rubik
2011-11-27, 06:13 PM
Oh wow all the options in the world. i relate a lot with druids. so i would want that to be on there, but i also like factotum and archivist. so something like divine minion factotum 19//archvist 11/planar shepherd 9. I would take the animal cohort feat to get an animal companion. I have know idea what race I would be. Kobold probably. If this option was actually presented to me, I would never be able to fully decide. I would be double checking and triple checking. I'd always be thinking "I only get to do this once, got to get it right." I'd probably never come to a decision

So, changeling chameleon. Got it. :smallbiggrin:

JaronK
2011-11-27, 06:17 PM
Probably just Factotum 20//Archivist 20. That would let me have skill points in the areas that I need for modern life (otherwise those skills aren't even available) and magical powers that would let me do, well, anything.

JaronK

Psyren
2011-11-27, 06:21 PM
StP Erudite//Psionic Artificer. Maybe with some Thrallherd in there once I got bored, but I'd rather be left alone than be swarmed by fawning masses.

Tvtyrant
2011-11-27, 06:22 PM
Scout 3/Wildshape Ranger 17//Totemist 4/Spirit Lion Barbarian 1/Chameleon 10/Totem Rager 5

Gets small and medium wildshapes, skirmish, bindable natural attacks (which work in your wildshape forms), self buffing, etc.

Rubik
2011-11-27, 06:27 PM
That would let me have skill points in the areas that I need for modern life (otherwise those skills aren't even available)Not really sure what this means. Elucidate me, por favor?

and magical powers that would let me do, well, anything.That's pretty much why I wanted StP erudite. And *I* wouldn't have to deal with a prayerbook or I'm-A-Little-Teapot songs and gestures, to boot.

JaronKRubik

Psyren
2011-11-27, 06:30 PM
Not really sure what this means. Elucidate me, por favor?

Sounds like he means things like Use Computer, Craft (programming code), Profession (lawyer/stock broker) etc.

Randomguy
2011-11-27, 06:37 PM
Why sorcerer 5? Does incantatrix (you spelled it wrong) require 3rd level spells?

Yes, it does. I guess I'd need to rearrange it a little so I get sorcerer 6/incantatrix 4/sorcerer 10, so I'd need to give up a metamagic feat.

kulosle
2011-11-27, 06:39 PM
So, changeling chameleon. Got it. :smallbiggrin:

See you say that and now I want to add chameleon to what I would be. See its all very confusing. Too many decisions. Although I guess chameleon doesn't give you much that the build doesn't already have. And yes changeling sounds like a great race for anyone in the "real world"

Rubik
2011-11-27, 06:39 PM
Sounds like he means things like Use Computer, Craft (programming code), Profession (lawyer/stock broker) etc.That makes sense. Except anything with Craft, Profession, or Perform would do for those, and most classes get those three skills.

Incanur
2011-11-27, 06:40 PM
How do the gods and planes work in this situation? For example, do abilities that require the astral plane function normally?

Rubik
2011-11-27, 06:42 PM
Somehow managed to double-post several minutes apart. :smallannoyed:

[edit]

How do the gods and planes work in this situation? For example, do abilities that require the astral plane function normally?Let's say that the rift between worlds means that this world now functions like Generic Fantasy Campaign #32,548, except that we start with the normal mundane world. You found an artifact that was the first thing to pass through, and it told you what it was and how to use it, as well as the whole 'planar rift is about to let a bunch of nasties through' bit.

The planar panoply is the same as a 'normal' game world's cosmology, and a pantheon of gods now has access to this world.

Wings of Peace
2011-11-27, 06:47 PM
Race: Elan

Side A: Wizard 1/Mantled Erudite (Magic) 1/Mind Mage 10/Cerebremancer 8/

Side B: Cleric 4/Generic Warrior 16

Jack_Simth
2011-11-27, 06:50 PM
You can refluff on a magic character sheet?
If you're abiding by standard D&D rules, yes - you can. Dungeon Master's Guide, page 34, 2nd column, third paragraph:

You can let players describe the spells their characters cast. Don't, however, allow a player to use an original description that makes a spell seem more powerful than it is. A fireball spell that creates an illusion of a dragon breathing flames goes too far.

Eldan
2011-11-27, 06:51 PM
Elan Artificer 20/Psion 20. No contest. The Psion mainly for the power points to power Elan powers. Just in case I ever fall off a building and need to spend 200 PP to survive it.

Rubik
2011-11-27, 06:53 PM
Elan Artificer 20/Psion 20. No contest. The Psion mainly for the power points to power Elan powers. Just in case I ever fall off a building and need to spend 200 PP to survive it.See, I'm a warforged. I get the whole 'don't die, don't sleep, don't eat' thing without spending resources, and proper abuse of the action economy (and a tinfoil hat or 10) means I'm about immune to counterattacks anyway.

Eldan
2011-11-27, 07:00 PM
Yeah, but see...
I'm paranoid. Even in real life. I'm constantly afraid something might kill me. Warforged isn't safe enough. Magic isn't safe enough.

Tenno Seremel
2011-11-27, 07:01 PM
Yeah, but see...
I'm paranoid.

Step 1. Learn Genesis.

Eldan
2011-11-27, 07:07 PM
Not safe enough. My demiplane could have sharp corners. Or stairs. Or a hard floor somewhere.

Rubik
2011-11-27, 07:08 PM
Yeah, but see...
I'm paranoid. Even in real life. I'm constantly afraid something might kill me. Warforged isn't safe enough. Magic isn't safe enough.That's why I have my Temporal Reiteration. I'll have Clones and Astral Seeds, as well.

Step 1. Learn Genesis.And that, yes.

Huzzah, Astral Projection!

Psyren
2011-11-27, 07:15 PM
Not safe enough. My demiplane could have sharp corners. Or stairs. Or a hard floor somewhere.

Then build it without those things :smalltongue:

Tenno Seremel
2011-11-27, 07:16 PM
Or… there was also turn into ghost PrC, or something.

Wings of Peace
2011-11-27, 07:17 PM
See, I'm a warforged. I get the whole 'don't die,

In fairness, I don't believe Elans die of old age either.

Rubik
2011-11-27, 07:20 PM
Or… there was also turn into ghost PrC, or something.The unbodied. It's a race rather than a class, but it's better than the PrC that does the same thing.

And did I mention that I'd take Supernatural Transformation to keep my powers undispellable, and to disallow SR, and to prevent getting interrupted in my manifestations via Concentration checks.

I'd buy up as many feats as I could, and DCFS them into Tons o' FeatsTM.

Lots of item crafting.

Lots of invulnerability/resurrection tricks.

I'd trick the hell out of myself, as well. I'd have all sorts of goodies. +6 belt of magnificence... *Drools*

In fairness, I don't believe Elans die of old age either.Right, but I get all sorts of other goodies, as well. And Font of Power/Temperal Reiteration/lots of immunities does the rest of it, just about as well.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-11-27, 07:21 PM

Then make it a globe made out of foam.

Rubik
2011-11-27, 07:22 PM
Then make it a globe made out of foam.The Paraelemental Plane of Nerf?

Dr.Epic
2011-11-27, 07:24 PM
Cleric 20/Battle Sorcerer 20

World conquest is mine. I might have to replace the Epic in my name though with Doom. It would only be fitting.:smallwink:

Hiro Protagonest
2011-11-27, 07:30 PM
The Paraelemental Plane of Nerf?

Oh, and just to be safe, make any bludgeoning weapons that enter the plane nerfbats, slashing and piercing weapons nerfswords, any ranged weapons have their ammunition turned into nerf darts or those nerf arrows, and thrown weapons nerf footballs. And make anyone with Improved Unarmed Strike or some other way of not provoking AoOs with unarmed strikes have foam gloves that they can't take off as long as they're on the plane.

And all lethal damage spells turn to foam. Fireball creates a red foam ball 20 feet in diameter, Lightning Bolt makes a 120 ft long 2.5 ft diameter yellow foam lightning bolt, Orb of Fire turns into an Orb of Red Foam, etc.

Edit:

Cleric 20/Battle Sorcerer 20

World conquest is mine. I might have to replace the Epic in my name though with Doom. It would only be fitting.:smallwink:
Battle Sorc doesn't add anything to that normal sorc wouldn't, and is actually worse.

Rubik
2011-11-27, 07:35 PM
Oh, and just to be safe, make any bludgeoning weapons that enter the plane nerfbats, slashing and piercing weapons nerfswords, any ranged weapons have their ammunition turned into nerf darts or those nerf arrows, and thrown weapons nerf footballs. And make anyone with Improved Unarmed Strike or some other way of not provoking AoOs with unarmed strikes have foam gloves that they can't take off as long as they're on the plane.

And all lethal damage spells turn to foam. Fireball creates a red foam ball 20 feet in diameter, Lightning Bolt makes a 120 ft long 2.5 ft diameter yellow foam lightning bolt, Orb of Fire turns into an Orb of Red Foam, etc.So...you just nerfed the whole game? Except those nerf darts can put out an eye!

Incanur
2011-11-27, 07:53 PM
Let's say that the rift between worlds means that this world now functions like Generic Fantasy Campaign #32,548, except that we start with the normal mundane world. You found an artifact that was the first thing to pass through, and it told you what it was and how to use it, as well as the whole 'planar rift is about to let a bunch of nasties through' bit.

The planar panoply is the same as a 'normal' game world's cosmology, and a pantheon of gods now has access to this world.

Curses! I didn't want to have to deal with D&D deities and their absurd morality. I guess I writeup the following character:

Archivist 20//Transmutation Domain Wizard 10/Incantatrix 10
Race: Human Gender: Ambiguous
Str 8, Dex 8, Con 14, Int 23, Wis 12, Cha 14
Feats: Extend Spell, Persistent Spell, Eschew Materials, etc
In this instance, I align with the incantatrix fluff of disliking extraplanar intrusions. I seek to use my powers to create a world of abundance, autonomy, diversity, and equality on this planet. In proper transhumanist fashion, I reject inevitability or desirability of death. I'm willing - though not eager - to resist all the maruts and company that take offense to my universal immortality schemes. This presumably makes me evil according to the alignment system.

I would immediately attempt to transform the global economic political and economic system. I'd employ a variety of tactics, ranging from infrastructure-building with polymorph any object to nonlethal physical force. The medium-term strategy involves taking Ignore Material Components as soon as possible and then using a combination of last breath/true resurrection to combat aging. The long-term vision integrates magic into the transhumanist project.

Esprit15
2011-11-27, 07:54 PM
Cleric/Wizard because in a world with no other magic users the only moral thing I can think to do is use my craft to help people by teaching them it (Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to manefest food and water, feed a country forever.) and being a Humanist Cleric (since if I remember right you can become a cleric of an idea or philosphy as well) would also be a good thing to do, healing people, curing diseases, etc.

Also, both being things that I can teach means that rather than fight on your own if some extradimensional horror comes, I have an army of wizards and clerics, not just me.

Hm...the aftermath of this may not be all that pleasent. Massively powerful army plus human greed for power possibly leading to massive one-sided war against the world, followed by who knows what. :smalleek:

Nothing good can come from a person having Epic level power. It will always end in either slaughter or some oppressive world state. Screw it, I'll just hire myself off as a life support system for NASA and set fire to anyone who trys to make me do otherwise. :smallbiggrin:

Silva Stormrage
2011-11-27, 07:56 PM
Keep in mind, this is the real world, and you're the only one with powers. Going thrallherd will only get you mundane people, though you could probably get a few exceptional individuals, such as doctors and such.

Also, I'd totally be taking Perform: Sexual Techniques and Craft: Orgasm. I'm a skillmonkey, after all, and (as a warforged) immune to disease. :smallamused:

Well thrallherd is a bit weird anyway. I mean they come from anywhere and ALWAYS show up every day. For all you know they are from a different dimension that planeshift over to mine every day :smallbiggrin:. Or I could settle with having nigh infinite money.

hushblade
2011-11-27, 08:07 PM
I'd go with Unarmed Swordsage 20//Telepath 20(or perhaps Erudite for added versatility)

I went with a martial adept because they're simply the best melee characters, swordsage for the most maneuvers and such(plus the tons of skill points), and unarmed because carrying a weapon is silly in a modern world.

Telepath 20 is where immortality comes in, just True mind swap out when the time comes.

Stats, well I'll need at least 19 int for my power selection, mental stats in general should be prioritized because this body will only serve me for 1 lifetime, or less if I choose to swap out of the body with dump physical stats anyway

so 32 point buy + 5 for levels.
16+3
16+2
+to int first for more skill points.

Godskook
2011-11-27, 08:24 PM
Depends on how gestalt is ruled, but since this hypothetical, I'm going to play fast and loose with that particular rule.

Druid 4/Psychic Theurge 6/Arcane Hierophant 10
Wizard 3/Ardent 1/Sorcerer 1/Ultimate Magus 5/Cerebremancer 10

18th level Wizard casting
17+3th level Ardent manifesting
20th level Druid casting
14th level Sorcerer casting

Eldest
2011-11-27, 09:22 PM
Nothing good can come from a person having Epic level power.

I'd be a Bard 20//Sorceror 20, and run around having fun inbetween blowing up baddies. So something good would happen. :smalltongue:

Calanon
2011-11-27, 10:00 PM
Wizard//Sorcerer 20 :smallwink: then fly around looking for something that would give me that 1 EXP that i NEED then take Epic Spellcrafting... then start making Epic Spells :smallamused: Netherese Enclave here I come :smallwink:

(Would GLADLY give up Sorcerer for a class that allows me to treat my Spellcraft as if I had twice as many ranks in it :smallcool:)

Dr.Epic
2011-11-27, 10:01 PM
Battle Sorc doesn't add anything to that normal sorc wouldn't, and is actually worse.

I'd get to wear armor which would work for the joke I made in my post.

charcoalninja
2011-11-28, 09:02 AM
First hello Pathfinder:

Second, I'd be an Elan Paladin 20//Synethis Summoner 20.

mmmmmm yummy CHA focused righteous awesome. Immortality, extra planar friends to chill with over the years and the ability to annialate all disease and solve pretty much any problem ever.

Yeah... it'd be a good life.

Edit: Gestalt is so much fun. That way you can be the BMX bandit and Angel Summoner at the same time :D

Tyndmyr
2011-11-28, 09:07 AM
...what would you be? And by that I mean, let's say that you were given a magical character sheet, and you had to abide by the standard D&D rules, and anything is allowed except for Pun-Pun or divine ranks, and you were allowed to start at 1 XP away from level 21, with standard WBL, and 32 point buy. Once you finished your character, you tap the sheet twice while saying your own name, and you become what is on the sheet, in the real world. Nobody else gets these powers, and you can expect the potential of other monstrous incursions from, say, Greyhawk, that you'd have to protect against (a la superhero/villain).

Depends on the exact rules of the Gestalt. However, you can expect 9s of at least wiz, Sublime Chord, and Ur-priest. Probably also some flavor of psionics, as well as a dollop of Iot7V and a Mindbender dip. The levels of cheese would be...ridiculously high.

I'd then bust out my monster manuals and figure out what on earth will give me xp, and scry and die them. This might include me leveling small nations while emulating a tiny god. Whatever gets the xp. I'd start utilizing Genesis immediately, as well. I'll need a solid demiplane to relax on.

Alignment would be LE, of course. I'd stay human, because, honestly, I rather like being human, and everyone else here is one. Why waste spells on blending in when human is already a solid race?

Assuming bog standard rules(ie, no fractional BaB, no restrictions on PrCs allowed, but PrCs on one side of gestalt only)....

Domain Wizard 3/Sorc 2/Mindbender 1/Ur-Priest 1/Mystic Theurge 8(adv wiz/UP), Sublime Chord 1/Ultimate Magus 4(adv SC/Wiz)//
Marshal 1/Human Paragon 2(adv wiz)/Bard 1/Human Paragon 1(adv wiz)/Sorc 1/Wizard 1/Sorc 9/Wiz 1/Erudite 1/Sorc 1/Wiz 1/.

Feats: Able Learner(1), Iron Will(human bonus), Lucky Start(HP Bonus) Scribe Scroll(wiz bonus), Invisible Spell(Wizard bonus 5), Spell Focus(evil)(traded familiar out for it), the feat I need for the erudite shenanigans(3), Mindsight(6), Spell Focus(Abj)(9), G Spell Focus(Abj)(12), Make Your Own Luck(15), Tempting Fate(18) Sanctum Spell(Flaw-Noncombatant), Skill Focus(Spellcraft)(Flaw-Shaky).

I'm basically looking at lining up levels for essentially full BaB(cause why not?), and having pretty much limitless access to spells. My CL for classes such as Ur Priest is...inordinately high. I should have pretty solid saves all round, and plus yes to Will. I know, I know...natural 1s. I treat those as nat 20s. Also I can do fun things like abusing sanctum spell for cheaper scrolls.

Expect chaos shuffling, etc...I cast as a 20th level wizard, a 9th level Ur priest, a 5th level sublime chord, a...confusingly powerful erudite with fairly few power points, a first level bard, a 13th level sorc, and have the auras of a first level marshal.

Yes, I could have MORE 9th level spells available, but 9th level wizard, divine and psionic should be sufficient to get me through the day. Probably pulling in at least a level up, which results in rapidly expanding access to spells. In fact, I should gain access to new spells via leveling almost as rapidly as I expend them. Sadly, despite fitting in all the prereqs, I hadn't yet gotten to adding Iot7v. It'll have to get tacked on later while I level sorc on the non-PrC side.

charcoalninja
2011-11-28, 09:20 AM
Heh after looking at this thread I don't think finding sources of exp for that last level's going to be too hard. Between all the do gooders and world dominators here, we'll be plenty busy PVPing loooong before any extraplanar threats show up lol.

lorddrake
2011-11-28, 09:29 AM
Whee! I could take the basketweaving skill....

Oh, wait... I can do that :smalleek:

I don't know Gestalt rules, but I'd be Wizard 20 + Druid 20 = autowin

tcrudisi
2011-11-28, 09:40 AM
Well, I've forgotten all the PrC's, so take that into consideration.

One half would certainly be Beguiler 20. I'd even stick with this one the entire way. It's just so deliciously tasty.

The other half? This is the one I'd use PrC's with, so fill them in according to whatever will help me powergame the most. It would certainly be Sorcerer, though, for a reason someone before me mentioned: I don't want to spend an hour each day memorizing spells. I think it's the Rainbow Servant PrC that lets me add all cleric spells as spells known? Absolutely do that one to really cheese out my Beguiler side. If there's still some more ... maybe Fatespinner? I really liked that PrC back in the day. I would take it for 4 levels so I don't lose a caster level. (Or was it level 1 where I lose the caster level?) If I have anything left, I have no idea what I'd do.

But yeah - I'd use my Beguiler side to subtly take over the world. My Sorc side would be for epic spellcasting. I'd find a way to get that last 1 xp so I could craft epic spells.

Abrexa
2011-11-28, 09:45 AM
Wizard 3/Theurge 10/Archmage 7//Archivist 3/Warblade 7/Ur Priest 10? :smallconfused:

charcoalninja
2011-11-28, 09:47 AM
Depends on the exact rules of the Gestalt. However, you can expect 9s of at least wiz, Sublime Chord, and Ur-priest. Probably also some flavor of psionics, as well as a dollop of Iot7V and a Mindbender dip. The levels of cheese would be...ridiculously high.

I'd then bust out my monster manuals and figure out what on earth will give me xp, and scry and die them. This might include me leveling small nations while emulating a tiny god. Whatever gets the xp. I'd start utilizing Genesis immediately, as well. I'll need a solid demiplane to relax on.

Alignment would be LE, of course. I'd stay human, because, honestly, I rather like being human, and everyone else here is one. Why waste spells on blending in when human is already a solid race?

Assuming bog standard rules(ie, no fractional BaB, no restrictions on PrCs allowed, but PrCs on one side of gestalt only)....

Domain Wizard 3/Sorc 2/Mindbender 1/Ur-Priest 1/Mystic Theurge 8(adv wiz/UP), Sublime Chord 1/Ultimate Magus 4(adv SC/Wiz)//
Marshal 1/Human Paragon 2(adv wiz)/Bard 1/Human Paragon 1(adv wiz)/Sorc 1/Wizard 1/Sorc 9/Wiz 1/Erudite 1/Sorc 1/Wiz 1/.

Feats: Able Learner(1), Iron Will(human bonus), Lucky Start(HP Bonus) Scribe Scroll(wiz bonus), Invisible Spell(Wizard bonus 5), Spell Focus(evil)(traded familiar out for it), the feat I need for the erudite shenanigans(3), Mindsight(6), Spell Focus(Abj)(9), G Spell Focus(Abj)(12), Make Your Own Luck(15), Tempting Fate(18) Sanctum Spell(Flaw-Noncombatant), Skill Focus(Spellcraft)(Flaw-Shaky).

I'm basically looking at lining up levels for essentially full BaB(cause why not?), and having pretty much limitless access to spells. My CL for classes such as Ur Priest is...inordinately high. I should have pretty solid saves all round, and plus yes to Will. I know, I know...natural 1s. I treat those as nat 20s. Also I can do fun things like abusing sanctum spell for cheaper scrolls.

Expect chaos shuffling, etc...I cast as a 20th level wizard, a 9th level Ur priest, a 5th level sublime chord, a...confusingly powerful erudite with fairly few power points, a first level bard, a 13th level sorc, and have the auras of a first level marshal.

Yes, I could have MORE 9th level spells available, but 9th level wizard, divine and psionic should be sufficient to get me through the day. Probably pulling in at least a level up, which results in rapidly expanding access to spells. In fact, I should gain access to new spells via leveling almost as rapidly as I expend them. Sadly, despite fitting in all the prereqs, I hadn't yet gotten to adding Iot7v. It'll have to get tacked on later while I level sorc on the non-PrC side.

Yeah... I'm going to need to be a social Pally, will need a few buddies to help out... I don't think I know enough opt-fu to deal with world dominators like this :P

Tyndmyr
2011-11-28, 09:57 AM
Yeah... I'm going to need to be a social Pally, will need a few buddies to help out... I don't think I know enough opt-fu to deal with world dominators like this :P

No worries. I'm lawful. And allies are helpful. I don't need to kill everything...a herd of elephants(CR 6 each) should provide some amount of xp.

And I'll almost certainly start by killing more chaotic evil types. They're the real danger, you see. Us lawful types can almost certainly come to an...arrangement.

Rubik
2011-11-28, 10:11 AM
(Would GLADLY give up Sorcerer for a class that allows me to treat my Spellcraft as if I had twice as many ranks in it :smallcool:)1/day factotum 20 would give you a +20.

Oh, and I forgot. There's a cap that prevents you from becoming epic. Sorry.

enderlord99
2011-11-28, 10:29 AM
STP Erudite 20*//Twice_Betrayer_of_Shar 15/Warblade 5

*with Tashalatora

Incanur
2011-11-28, 10:48 AM

That's important information that should have been included in the original post. :smallfurious::smallmad::smallwink:

In that case, I guess I'll be crafting automatic reset last breath traps for 122,500 gp and 1,800 XP a pop. I hope I can find the necessary materials here on Earth; if not, I'll only be able to build one or two. That's still a potential for thousands of lifespan extensions per day.

Tyndmyr
2011-11-28, 10:52 AM

Like, that prevents me from gaining additional levels beyond 20, or are we just tossing out epic rules(like epic spellcasting and stuff)?

Neither of these changes my action...I still have use for xp either way...but it will change my build choices somewhat.

If there's no additional levels beyond 20, I'll probably eventually end up level draining myself, ditching base class levels, and adding in more PrCs. After all, I'll basically never have to worry about less optimized chars catching up with me then, and it is highly unlikely that anyone will have the range of available spells I do.

Additional xp will be almost entirely to fund magical item creation. Gold will likely not be a problem. I'll probably end up chaos shuffling for creation feats as needed.

Rubik
2011-11-28, 10:58 AM
You cannot go up to level 21, and are stuck at 1 XP short of level 21. You can gain more XP, but they dissipate and are wasted until and unless you spend some of what you have first.

So if you do some magic item creation or cast some XP-draining spells, you can get those XP back by trouncing some near-CR-appropriate critters (or through RP :smalltongue:), and you could get them back, but you cap at 1 XP from level 21.

Keep in mind, there ARE potentially some epic-level threats coming through.

No Epic Spellcasting, though. No sense in making it COMPLETELY unfair.

Tyndmyr
2011-11-28, 11:06 AM
You cannot go up to level 21, and are stuck at 1 XP short of level 21. You can gain more XP, but they dissipate and are wasted until and unless you spend some of what you have first.

So if you do some magic item creation or cast some XP-draining spells, you can get those XP back by trouncing some near-CR-appropriate critters (or through RP :P), and you could get them back, but you cap at 1 XP from level 21.

Keep in mind, there ARE potentially some epic-level threats coming through.

No Epic Spellcasting, though. No sense in making it COMPLETELY unfair.

That is entirely sufficient. There will never be other PCs with >HD than I have, and I can stack up a giant pile of xp for creating some fairly notable magic items. I am not particularly worried about epic level threats. This build should be able to go through any of the Elder Evils. Probably multiple in one day.

Using level drain, I'll likely feed in two more Ultimate Magus levels and three Iot7v. I'm not really certain what happens if I swap out a level of Human Paragon, though. I mean, the class skill bonuses for skill assignment and such will have already happened. I'm already going to have a giant pile of skills in basically anything I want, and there's basically no reason for me NOT to chaos shuffle out Able Learner at 20 in this environment.

Also, activated items of Heroics will be amusing.

Incanur
2011-11-28, 11:10 AM
As long as I can find the materials, I'll be crafting beneficial traps right and left. Persistent buff spells from the cleric, druid, paladin, ranger, and wizard list should be sufficient to defeat the monsters coming through the portal. I'll do my best to seal the portal if possible, though I assume it's not an option.

Rubik
2011-11-28, 11:12 AM
That is entirely sufficient. There will never be other PCs with >HD than I have, and I can stack up a giant pile of xp for creating some fairly notable magic items. I am not particularly worried about epic level threats. This build should be able to go through any of the Elder Evils. Probably multiple in one day.

Using level drain, I'll likely feed in two more Ultimate Magus levels and three Iot7v. I'm not really certain what happens if I swap out a level of Human Paragon, though. I mean, the class skill bonuses for skill assignment and such will have already happened. I'm already going to have a giant pile of skills in basically anything I want, and there's basically no reason for me NOT to chaos shuffle out Able Learner at 20 in this environment.

Also, activated items of Heroics will be amusing.The only time you need Able Learner is at level-up.

One of the many reasons I love Psychic Reformation.

Talya
2011-11-28, 11:23 AM
Succubus 6 HD/Level Adjustment + 6/Mystic Theurge 8*//Bard 8/Ur-Priest 2/Sublime Chord 2/Factotum or Warblade 8.

Or something.

Tyndmyr
2011-11-28, 11:31 AM
The only time you need Able Learner is at level-up.

One of the many reasons I love Psychic Reformation.

That also gets rid of all but one of the big reasons for Sanctum Spell at 20, too. The last reason, arbitrarily many level 1-3 spells prepared, is a pretty good one, but it's no longer necessary for early entry.

Which means I can chaos shuffle that off too when I'm not prepping spells(probably for empower or maximize to utilize the UM ability effectively).

Then we get to do experiments, like finding out what happens with an empowered or maximized reincarnation. Unfortunately, reincarnation is one of the few spells I don't directly have access to, so certain creative means will have to be utilized to get it.

I feel like I'd fit the experimenting evil caster mold fairly well, but I'd take time out to help humanity as well. For starters, any upstarts from the other plane that want to take over the world can't be allowed. That path leads to trouble. I'd also probably adopt an area of the world to tinker with optimizing via magical traps and such in return for the odd volunteer to experiment on.

Iferus
2011-11-28, 11:51 AM
Beguiler//Wizard (focused specialist conjurer).

I'd be the most anonymous puppet master of all.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-11-28, 12:25 PM
Heh after looking at this thread I don't think finding sources of exp for that last level's going to be too hard. Between all the do gooders and world dominators here, we'll be plenty busy PVPing loooong before any extraplanar threats show up lol.

Didn't you read the first post in detail? There is no PVP, because you're the only one that gets it!

And no making up a spell or power called Dimension Shift either.

Tyndmyr
2011-11-28, 12:30 PM
Well, you can't count on anyone else getting them...but random incursions were mentioned. And if it happened once, it might happen again.

Random thought...is there any way to make a person my familiar?

Rubik
2011-11-28, 12:34 PM
Well, you can't count on anyone else getting them...but random incursions were mentioned. And if it happened once, it might happen again.

Random thought...is there any way to make a person my familiar?Polymorph Any Object, basically.

If you can combine an animal companion and your familiar, Aspect of the Wolf and such.

lorddrake
2011-11-28, 01:29 PM
I'll find someplace to fit planar shepherd on my build as well...

Rubik
2011-11-28, 01:37 PM
Curses! I didn't want to have to deal with D&D deities and their absurd morality.IE, the gods must be crazy. They're also very self-centered, and don't care about what 'lesser beings' think of philosophy and morality.

And yes, they have a FUBAR'd sense of morals. However, feel free to reject their definitions. They won't like it, but you're a level 20 gestalt. I'm sure you can take down a god or two if you really wanted to. They're basically just extremely powerful creatures. Whether they're actually 'gods' is up for debate.

Talya
2011-11-28, 01:49 PM
Who cares about their morals? I'd be a Chaotic Evil, super-powerful sex-demon.

I may fight magical invaders that our militaries couldn't handle, if those invaders were threatening to ruin my playground (the planet), but other than that? I'm going to be having fun.

charcoalninja
2011-11-28, 01:53 PM
Didn't you read the first post in detail? There is no PVP, because you're the only one that gets it!

And no making up a spell or power called Dimension Shift either.

Concievably with my Paladin and summoner levels, LG alignment and want to improve the world I'd be sharing the know how to attain such marvels. But if that's impossible, well sweet, welcome to paradise!

EDIT: especially since the sacred servant ACF for the PF Paladin grants me greater planar ally for free. Though Gate as a SLA covers my angel fanclub pretty well.

Rubik
2011-11-28, 01:54 PM
Who cares about their morals? I'd be a Chaotic Evil, super-powerful sex-demon.

I may fight magical invaders that our militaries couldn't handle, if those invaders were threatening to ruin my playground (the planet), but other than that? I'm going to be having fun.You and me both.

But I'd LOVE to be a superhero, too. Phenomenal cosmic powers can bring in a lot of hunky guys, I bet, which is a nice perk.

[edit] Maybe I should consider a one-level dip into commoner, for infinite chickens. that way I can end world hunger, so long as nobody minds KFC.

[edit edit] Or I'll just use infinite Wishes and/or Reality Revisions to do it. Yeah, that'll work.

Talya
2011-11-28, 01:56 PM
You and me both.

But I'd LOVE to be a superhero, too. Phenomenal cosmic powers can bring in a lot of hunky guys, I bet, which is a nice perk.

Hullo. Succubus (with enchantment spells)?

There's no man or woman on earth who'd turn me down.

For anything.

Rubik
2011-11-28, 02:01 PM

For anything.I'd have everything from Attraction to Psionic Charm to Suggestion. No sense in wasting it, right?

Though I'd also use Read Thoughts, so I don't do it to anyone who doesn't want it. Just giving them a bit of a confidence-booster. :smallbiggrin:

Weezer
2011-11-28, 02:02 PM
Race: Warforged (no need to worry about old age or feeding myself)

Classes: Wizard 19/Mindbender1//druid 10/MoMF 10

Feats: Mindsight and every wildshape feat i can get my hands on

100 ft telepathy and perfect vision in that range? Amazing
Wildshaping into pretty much any form and gaining a large number of abilities from them? Awesome.

Buy a hat of disguise to look like a human so I don't stand out too much.

Shadowknight12
2011-11-28, 02:03 PM
I'd be the grimmest, snarkiest Aasimar 1/Vampire 7/Warblade 12//Focused Abjurer 3/Master Specialist 10/Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil 7 you have ever seen.

Tyndmyr
2011-11-28, 02:11 PM
I would love to see a game with all these chars tossed into it.

Telonius
2011-11-28, 02:23 PM
Nobody else gets these powers, and you can expect the potential of other monstrous incursions from, say, Greyhawk, that you'd have to protect against (a la superhero/villain).

This part suggests that there's going to be a caster coming after me, possibly with a large army. I don't think the melee part of the army will be a problem; modern weaponry would be able to contain the threat unless they have some kind of seriously devastating first-strike capability. (If he's using Locate City bomb, we're pretty screwed anyway). So, gotta be at least some kind of caster.

Personal requirements: can't scare away my wife and daughter, so no monstrous races. Class has to match my personality and alignment.

I'd probably go with some variation of the Joker Bard (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5496158) on one half of the Gestalt, with an Artificer on the other. Bard to thwart the caster, make friends, and influence people; Artificer to give the mundane folks (including my family) some means of defense. Changeling is close enough to human not to freak people out. Between the two of those classes, I'll have access to pretty much every spell in the game.

lorddrake
2011-11-28, 02:56 PM
Or I could go full diplomancer and become the god of everything!

Tyndmyr
2011-11-28, 02:59 PM
Or I could go full diplomancer and become the god of everything!

A *lot* of these builds fold diplomacy into it. For instance, the Joker Bard basically has diplomancy folded in. My build involves having giant piles of skill points, access to marshall buffs, and effectively having all skills as class skills. Given that diplomacy and the synergistic skills are prereqs for Mindbender, I'm going to have a pretty fair diplomancer entirely incidentally.

Diplomacy is fantastic, but if the first caster through the portal is a lich, you best have a backup plan.

Shadowknight12
2011-11-28, 03:07 PM
A *lot* of these builds fold diplomacy into it. For instance, the Joker Bard basically has diplomancy folded in. My build involves having giant piles of skill points, access to marshall buffs, and effectively having all skills as class skills. Given that diplomacy and the synergistic skills are prereqs for Mindbender, I'm going to have a pretty fair diplomancer entirely incidentally.

Diplomacy is fantastic, but if the first caster through the portal is a lich, you best have a backup plan.

I think his plan is to throw people at the problem until it disappears.

deuxhero
2011-11-28, 03:13 PM
"except for Pun-Pun or divine ranks"

Thought Pun-Pun got Divine Ranks.

If I can still convince a deity, Omniscificer obviously.

Otherwise, good old Wizard/Wizard PRC//Factotum.

Tyndmyr
2011-11-28, 03:21 PM
I think his plan is to throw people at the problem until it disappears.

If all you're guaranteed is mundane folks, and a magical lich just invaded, that plan may not work well. Plenty of things cannot be diplomacized effectively. Pandorum is unleashed? Diplomacy only will get you nowhere.

Also, turning a diety into fanatical is not allowed. It's mind affecting, and they're immune. Diplomacy is not entirely useless when dealing with the gods, mind, but it's not an auto-win either.

Rubik
2011-11-28, 03:21 PM
"except for Pun-Pun or divine ranks"

Thought Pun-Pun got Divine Ranks.

If I can still convince a deity, Omniscificer obviously.

Otherwise, good old Wizard/Wizard PRC//Factotum.Pun-Pun can get divine ranks, but they're not required.

Shadowknight12
2011-11-28, 03:24 PM
If all you're guaranteed is mundane folks, and a magical lich just invaded, that plan may not work well.

Who says all you're guaranteed is mundane folks? If wizards are allowed, then someone must have created the spells they know, and have trained them in the ways of wizardry.

And I think throwing gaggles of wizards at a problem is almost guaranteed to make it disappear.

Tyndmyr
2011-11-28, 03:27 PM
Who says all you're guaranteed is mundane folks? If wizards are allowed, then someone must have create the spells they know, and have trained them in the ways of wizardry.

And I think throwing gaggles of wizards at a problem is almost guaranteed to make it disappear.

The OP specified that this happens in our world, and only you are guaranteed to get these powers. Rifts may open to other worlds(like D&D things), and something horrible might come through them.

So, you might or might not be able to diplomacy whatever comes through. You can quite certainly diplomacy anyone that happens to be here, but you almost certainly don't have wizards.

Rubik
2011-11-28, 03:29 PM
I would love to see a game with all these chars tossed into it.I'm game if you guys are! Who wants to run this as a campaign? High optimization, ECL 20, in the "real world," with a party of characters who underwent the transformation as described in Post #1?

I call a spot in the party, since I'm the OP!

Shadowknight12
2011-11-28, 03:30 PM
The OP specified that this happens in our world, and only you are guaranteed to get these powers. Rifts may open to other worlds(like D&D things), and something horrible might come through them.

So, you might or might not be able to diplomacy whatever comes through. You can quite certainly diplomacy anyone that happens to be here, but you almost certainly don't have wizards.

Ah, I must've missed that. Then just diplomance the entirety of Earth and break out the nigh-infinite arsenals.

EDIT:

I'm game if you guys are! Who wants to run this as a campaign? High optimization, ECL 20, in the "real world," with a party of characters who underwent the transformation as described in Post #1?

Count me in, as a player.

Tyndmyr
2011-11-28, 03:33 PM
I'm game if you guys are! Who wants to run this as a campaign? High optimization, ECL 20, in the "real world," with a party of characters who underwent the transformation as described in Post #1?

Heh, much as I would LOVE to play in such a world, I most certainly could never find the time to reliably DM it.

Shadowknight...I don't know how effective nukes are...but I would wager they would fix a fair proportion of problems. However things such as an ethereal caster are probably just fine. Or, yknow, shadows would kill everything, and sending hoards of people at them would just make it worse. Diplomacy is a great option whenever practical, but it's gestalt. You might as well pack a backup option.

Shadowknight12
2011-11-28, 03:38 PM
Shadowknight...I don't know how effective nukes are...but I would wager they would fix a fair proportion of problems. However things such as an ethereal caster are probably just fine. Or, yknow, shadows would kill everything, and sending hoards of people at them would just make it worse. Diplomacy is a great option whenever practical, but it's gestalt. You might as well pack a backup option.

I'm fairly sure our world doesn't have an Ethereal or Shadow plane. :smallbiggrin:

Other than that, I never disagreed with the need for a backup plan. You can never have too many contingencies, after all. I'm only saying that diplomancer isn't as terrible an idea as you're making it out to be.

charcoalninja
2011-11-28, 03:43 PM

For anything.

lvl 20 Pally. How ya doin. My saves are yes.

Rubik
2011-11-28, 03:44 PM
I'm fairly sure our world doesn't have an Ethereal or Shadow plane. :smallbiggrin:We discussed this earlier. Same planar setup, with our world as the material plane.

Shadowknight12
2011-11-28, 03:48 PM
We discussed this earlier. Same planar setup, with our world as the material plane.

Wow, am I late to the party or what! :smallbiggrin:

Carry on, then, don't mind the slowpoke. I'll be reading up on this fascinating 'Watergate' scandal that seems to be all the rage.

Tenebris
2011-11-28, 06:18 PM
Illithid racial 15/ whatever 5// whatever 10/ Illithid Savant 10

Probably sorcerer somewhere there. One lvl only, if I can find another sorcerer to "assist" me in deeper understanding of the arcane magic.

But first of all, I'd eat some doctor of medicine's brain. After then I'd make MD myself, so I can pick a job with an easy access to some nice brains.

Talya
2011-11-28, 06:24 PM

Yeah, not so much, when the succubus has 50 charisma without shenanigans. (18 base on the point buy + 16 racial + 5 level + 5 inherent + 6 equipment) Your mind is mine -- and that's probably without a spell!

Rubik
2011-11-28, 06:27 PM
Illithid racial 15/ whatever 5// whatever 10/ Illithid Savant 10

Probably sorcerer somewhere there. One lvl only, if I can find another sorcerer to "assist" me in deeper understanding of the arcane magic.

But first of all, I'd eat some doctor of medicine's brain. After then I'd make MD myself, so I can pick a job with an easy access to some nice brains.Go psionic mindflayer. Much better than the original.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-11-28, 06:29 PM

Really? You'll likely have, at most, a +7 from Divine Grace unless you start using shenananananigens. 6+7+7 (applying wisdom twice, due to Serenity. You DO have Serenity, right?)=yes? Because I thought it equaled 20...

Shadowknight12
2011-11-28, 06:30 PM
Yeah, not so much, when the succubus has 50 charisma without shenanigans. (18 base on the point buy + 16 racial + 5 level + 5 inherent + 6 equipment) Your mind is mine -- and that's probably without a spell!

Out of curiosity, how do you deal with creatures immune to mind-affecting effects? Send a charmed minion against them?

Incanur
2011-11-28, 06:54 PM
However, feel free to reject their definitions. They won't like it, but you're a level 20 gestalt. I'm sure you can take down a god or two if you really wanted to. They're basically just extremely powerful creatures. Whether they're actually 'gods' is up for debate.

Initially, I'd either attempt to persuade them to join the revolution or at least leave Earth alone. My character tends toward the ur-priest side of the archivist spectrum.

I'm going to be having fun.

I would hope that applies to all of us.

A *lot* of these builds fold diplomacy into it.

Indeed. Off the top of my head, I figure my build can manage a +80 bonus when needed.

Talya
2011-11-28, 08:41 PM
Out of curiosity, how do you deal with creatures immune to mind-affecting effects? Send a charmed minion against them?

Do you think all her spells are going to be enchantments?

Shadowknight12
2011-11-28, 08:51 PM
Do you think all her spells are going to be enchantments?

No, but that seems to be her shtick. How else is she going to take care of things? Conjuration? Transmutation? Illusion?

Rubik
2011-11-28, 08:55 PM
No, but that seems to be her shtick. How else is she going to take care of things? Conjuration? Transmutation? Illusion?She'll love them. LOVE THEM TO DEATH.

Shadowknight12
2011-11-28, 09:05 PM
She'll love them. LOVE THEM TO DEATH.

Suddenly I am possessed by a heavy, tsunami-like terror.

Incanur
2011-11-28, 09:11 PM
Just out of curiosity, do the gestalt rules really let you put level adjustment and racial hit dice on only one side of the character? If so, that leads to some pretty awesome combinations. Of course, I see lots of folks ignoring the suggestion against dual-progression classes that comes with the gestalt rules, so I guess we're playing rather fast and loose here.

Rubik
2011-11-28, 09:14 PM
Just out of curiosity, do the gestalt rules really let you put level adjustment and racial hit dice on only one side of the character? If so, that leads to some pretty awesome combinations. Of course, I see lots of folks ignoring the suggestion against dual-progression classes that comes with the gestalt rules, so I guess we're playing rather fast and loose here.LA takes up one of your levels, so it should take up one side of the gestalt. It does make LA buyoff (effectively) impossible, but you're still getting class-based goodness anyway.

Also, I'd only allow dual-progression classes if you have the classes they're progressing on one side of the gestalt. There are, after all, some abilities you can only get doing that.

Calanon
2011-11-28, 11:59 PM

Why not just say that Mystra decides that you can't cast 10th of higher spells (And include the Epic Spellcasting system in this) :smallmad: GOD I HATE THAT GOD... SO MUCH!

Anyway~ I guess I would alter it a little bit to make it a
Necromancer/3 Sorcerer/1 Master Specialist/1 Ultimate Magus/10 Archmage// Lich/5
:smallbiggrin: still get to cast amazing spells and cast magic that is nearly boarderline epic :smallbiggrin:
Lich savage progression (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20031212a)
EDIT: oh damn just remembered I could gestalt this build :smallamused: My build remains the same but still gotta keep all that Magic

Succubus 6 HD/Level Adjustment + 6/Mystic Theurge 8*//Bard 8/Ur-Priest 2/Sublime Chord 2/Factotum or Warblade 8.

Or something.

I'd bet a lot of people would kill to see this built with the vow of nudity :smallwink:

kulosle
2011-11-29, 02:11 AM
So if I knew that there was going to be a incursion coming down I would make sure I was immune to damage. Shapechange shenanigens to gain that and permanency it. I would normally just say persist it but since i can't know when the incursion will come I want to always have it, plus I have the xp laying around. I'm pretty sure that there isn't much that archivist 11/planar shepherd 9//divine minion 1/factotum 19 can't do. And if there is i would lower the factotum to 8 or 11 and try to fit it in.

also I would totally play in a game like this.

Rubik
2011-11-29, 02:17 AM
Also, I'd only allow dual-progression classes if you have the classes they're progressing on one side of the gestalt. There are, after all, some abilities you can only get doing that.Actually, I think I'll allow anyone using a dual-progressing PrC choose. Either you keep all the casting classes and the dual-casting PrC on one side of the gestalt, OR you can have each base class on a separate side and have the dual PrC take up both sides of the gestalt.

How does that sound?

kardar233
2011-11-29, 02:33 AM
That game would be TOTALLY AWESOME. Count me in if it runs.

I'd probably play a Colossus of War with some Twice-Betrayer of Shar mixed in, then work on a way to fit Iot7V and War(bard?)Blade in there.

Abrexa
2011-11-29, 08:21 AM
I'd bet a lot of people would kill to see this built with the vow of nudity :smallwink:

http://www.ponibooru.org/_thumbs/0a30fae2db0b4f14ad5489fd8f1efeac/thumb.jpg :smalltongue:

Tyndmyr
2011-11-29, 08:35 AM
Just out of curiosity, do the gestalt rules really let you put level adjustment and racial hit dice on only one side of the character? If so, that leads to some pretty awesome combinations. Of course, I see lots of folks ignoring the suggestion against dual-progression classes that comes with the gestalt rules, so I guess we're playing rather fast and loose here.

LA/RHD being on one side is entirely normal.

And note that the suggestion against dual progression is just that, a suggestion. It's a good one. Dual progressions DO result in complicated builds, and these are not for everyone. Plus, more focused chars are straight up stronger in a duel. I guarantee I could make a much more lethal char if I ditched some of those casting options.

So, not fast and loose at all. Strictly RAW.

Actually, I think I'll allow anyone using a dual-progressing PrC choose. Either you keep all the casting classes and the dual-casting PrC on one side of the gestalt, OR you can have each base class on a separate side and have the dual PrC take up both sides of the gestalt.

How does that sound?

The first would change my build extremely little. I can qualify for a class using itself with a little creativity, and would have essentially no problems qualifying for dual casting PrCs using the same side of the gestalt they're on. All I would need to do is swap what, one level of wiz//sorc to be opposite? Meh.

The latter option is just silly. There is absolutely no reason to go Mystic Theurge 5 instead of even Cleric 5//Wizard 5. You end up with lower hp, worse skill selection, worse saves, and you're killing your opportunities for other PrCs.

Callista
2011-11-29, 08:44 AM
I see a bunch of cool builds here, but I just can't help thinking, "How the heck would the world survive a bunch of average, fallible people getting ridiculous amounts of power?"

I don't think it would, really. Somebody would break reality within a day.

Chess435
2011-11-29, 11:05 AM
Is somebody gonna get a thread up for this? If so, I'd be majorly interested.

Rubik
2011-11-29, 11:08 AM
The latter option is just silly. There is absolutely no reason to go Mystic Theurge 5 instead of even Cleric 5//Wizard 5. You end up with lower hp, worse skill selection, worse saves, and you're killing your opportunities for other PrCs.Mystic theurge isn't what you'd go for here. You'd go jade phoenix mage, or ultimate magus, or spellwarp sniper. Get stuff you just can't get any other way.

Taelas
2011-11-29, 11:23 AM
Lessee.

How about this:

Water Orc Feral 1/Lolth-Touched 1/Werebear 9/Half-Dragon 3/Barbarian 1/Bear Warrior 5//Cloistered Cleric 19/Sacred Exorcist 1. Base stats before racials: Str 16, Dex 8, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 16. After, Str 48, Dex 11, Con 31, Int 11, Wis 19, Cha 21. That includes 6 +5 inherent bonuses, and 5 level increases (to Str). In hybrid form or raging, Str 64, Dex 13, Con 39. While in hybrid form AND raging, Str 80, Dex 15, Con 47. Now pile on DMM persistent Cleric spells. Using divine power, righteous might, greater visage of the deity and infernal transformation... Str 102, Dex 17, Con 59, Int 13, Wis 23, Cha 25.

Chess435
2011-11-29, 11:27 AM
Lessee.

How about this:

Water Orc Feral 1/Lolth-Touched 1/Werebear 9/Half-Dragon 3/Barbarian 1/Bear Warrior 5//Cloistered Cleric 19/Sacred Exorcist 1. Base stats before racials: Str 16, Dex 8, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 16. After, Str 48, Dex 11, Con 31, Int 11, Wis 19, Cha 21. That includes 6 +5 inherent bonuses, and 5 level increases (to Str). In hybrid form or raging, Str 64, Dex 13, Con 39. While in hybrid form AND raging, Str 80, Dex 15, Con 47. Now pile on DMM persistent Cleric spells. Using divine power, righteous might, greater visage of the deity and infernal transformation... Str 102, Dex 17, Con 59, Int 13, Wis 23, Cha 25.

Now imagine how people will react upon seeing you/it. I prefer my puny human form, thank you very much. :smallwink:

Taelas
2011-11-29, 11:30 AM
Cha 25, maxed out Diplomacy. Not diplomancy-level, but plenty to take care of any awkwardness regarding my appearance.

Assuming I don't just HULK SMASH anyone complaining.

Rubik
2011-11-29, 11:33 AM
I'm sure there's some way to get Polymorph/Alter Self/Disguise Self on your cleric list. And there's always a hat of disguise, phylactery of change, or psychoactive skin of proteus, all of which are easily affordable (especially crafted) at level 20.

Taelas
2011-11-29, 11:37 AM
Heh. I'm also Huge thanks to hybrid form and righteous might, so any magic disguises aren't going to do much. I suppose I could call myself Hagrid's bigger cousin.

I've already changed form several times, though, and would lose quite a bit from changing it further.

Myth
2011-11-29, 06:48 PM
Human (retain my body) Wizard>Incantatrix>AM etc. // Cleric>Dweomerkeeper>etc.

Yes I know Factotum is better, I don't care :smallsmile:

Jack_Simth
2011-11-29, 07:16 PM
Heh. I'm also Huge thanks to hybrid form and righteous might, so any magic disguises aren't going to do much. I suppose I could call myself Hagrid's bigger cousin.

I've already changed form several times, though, and would lose quite a bit from changing it further.
Oddly enough, Veil (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/veil.htm) takes care of the size issue quite handily - no restrictions.

Something I've noticed, though:

Most of the builds here are focusing on how you'd build such a character for an optimized game... and are coming with things that will horribly warp their personalities (alignment restrictions...), many of which would make for rather destructive people. Thing is, though, you optimize differently for life than you do for a game. Some of that's just spell / power / et cetera selection (Fabricate vs. Cloudkill type stuff), but race and class does play a part there.

If it somehow actually came up, I'd likely end up doing something along the lines of:

Generic Spellcaster(Divine) (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/genericClasses.htm#spellcaster)-10/Contemplative-10 (Complete Divine)//Gloura(LA+2, 7 RHD: Underdark)/Half-Dragon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/halfDragon.htm)(LA+3)/Ghost (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/ghost.htm)(LA+5)/Evolved Undead (1 iteration, LA+1, Libris Mortis)/and either Rogue-2 or Pious Templar-2 (Complete Divine) depending on whether or not two PrC's at a time are permitted.

The result?

1) What's essentially Sorcerer-20 casting... pulling spells off of essentially any spell list.
2) Outsider type (Contemplative Capstone) - no, not dead. Quite alive, thank you, although still no Con score, so keeps most of the undead immunities.
3) Incorporeal
4) Rejuvination (HD check vs. DC 16... when I have 20 hit dice... to come back from the grave)
5) Charisma to saves, Charisma to AC, loads of Charisma, and either Evasion or Mettle (Mettle is preferred, as Evasion can be obtained with the correct spells or items).
6) *No Alignment Restrictions* beyond staying within a step of my cause / deity.
7) 7th level Bard casting (handy)
8) Fast Healing.

Extremely useful feats to have with this build:
Ghostly Grasp (Libris Mortis: touch stuff despite Incorporeality)
Flyby Attack (Monster Manual I: Lets you take a standard action in the middle of a move - which, with incorporeality, means you can move out of the ground, cast a spell, and move back underground, all on your turn... preventing reprisals with anything other than readied actions or heavy weaponry sufficient to put a big hole in the ground for that encounter)
Persistent Spell (and it's requirement, Extend Spell): Making certain buffs or utility spells (see below) last all day is very useful. Reach spell and Ocular Spell can also be useful for this purpose. Anything that mitigates metamagic costs is also very handy here.

Extremely useful spells to have:
Ghost Trap (Spell Compendium: Negate incorporeality temporarily when you need to do so)
Plane Shift, Greater (Spell Compendium: No-error Plane Shifting. Very useful for picking up items permanently when you're incorporeal).
Veil (look and feel - yes, it fools touch) like whatever I want.

Rubik
2011-11-29, 07:26 PM

Most of the builds here are focusing on how you'd build such a character for an optimized game... and are coming with things that will horribly warp their personalities (alignment restrictions...), many of which would make for rather destructive people. Thing is, though, you optimize differently for life than you do for a game. Some of that's just spell / power / et cetera selection (Fabricate vs. Cloudkill type stuff), but race and class does play a part there.
See, I'd have all the wizard/sorcerer spells and psionic powers I could want, as well as all the skill points, and I could change them around at will, so long as I had a few XP for a Psychic Reformation (and with Linked Power, I could do it within 6 seconds).

No alignment restrictions with me, either, and other than being a construct (and not needing to eat/sleep/etc), I could pass for 'normal' if I wanted, due to all the shapechanging spells and powers I could have. I'd focus on mental scores, as having 'average' physical stats is actually above average in most modern societies, so that's good. And again, shapeshifting.

And yes, I'd powergame the hell out of myself, both because I don't have to worry about other people's fun, because there's no actual DM (that I'm aware of, anyway), and a worldwide (and epic) threat requires massive power to curbstomp. I could always use various options at my disposal to prevent myself from doing bad things, and having a massive Int and Wis would mean I could make good decisions, rather than bad ones.

You might not be able to "win D&D" under normal circumstances but in this case I might have an exception going.

TurtleKing
2011-11-29, 08:47 PM
Me I would probably be a Factotum 20//Marshal 10/Chameleon 10. Though that is more of based on myself. While at it looking for DMs to Dm this: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221358 I have also been looking at AvB on the pbp and the style could work quite well. Drop by if you want to play or DM.

manamyst
2011-11-30, 01:09 AM
Call me Cid the Arcane Engineer/Psion shaper
first level feat to give diplomancey as a classs skill
step 1 genesis to make my hanger/small engering academey
my boides have rayguns, starships, and spellsheilds Oh My

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=182780
step 2 research spell protection from kentic energy
step 3 ?????
step 4 profit!:smallcool::smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:
not uber maxed but fun as all get out
but I might start off pretending to be Ironman could even pull it off

Darthteej
2011-11-30, 01:51 AM
Storm Giant 19/Fighter 1 on one side, Wizard 20 on the other. Like a boss :smallcool:

kulosle
2011-11-30, 06:10 AM
Oh so I just realized that magic items would exist after character creation, no one there to make them. This helps me decide on my feats, Item creation feats and obviously natural spell. I highly agree with anyone that has artificer on there build. Especially the bit about outfitting everyone else to prepare them for war.

Hunter Noventa
2011-11-30, 06:53 AM
Warlock20/Artificer20. Craft Contingent Spell. Functionally immortal, infinite energy beams, make anything.

Viktyr Gehrig
2011-11-30, 09:21 AM
Pathfinder rules? Doppelganger Rogue 3/Soulknife 1/Soulbow 1/Mindbender 1/Chameleon 10//Spontaneous Witch (Healing) 20. Most people on Paizo seem to think my custom Rogue archetype-- with Bardic Knowledge, Canny Defense, and Insightful Strike-- is fair enough. Divine magic ain't against my religion, but begging for spells is, so Chameleon is my best bet for filling in the gaps of the Witch list.

Important Hexes are minor healing, water lung, cauldron and witches' brew, and life giver. Important feats are Jack of All Trades, Mindsight, Leadership, and Craft Magic Arms & Armor and Craft Wondrous Item so that I can pick up Craft Construct with my floating feat.

Immortality by riding the Suicide Express with contingent last breath-- using a ring of three wishes to resume Doppelganger form-- and clone and greater restoration for backup. Demiplane shenanigans for income and security. Abuse the Clockwork Construct template to build an army of fanatically loyal couatls for population management and to subcontract magic item construction.

Tyndmyr
2011-11-30, 09:41 AM

The lawful evil is most certainly not just for prereqs. I'm all kinds of lawful IRL, and while I certainly have a code of good and evil, it doesn't particularly match the definition according to D&D. So, I'd basically have the exact same personality(well, endless power may change that somewhat eventually, but you get the idea).

As for the optimization...god yes I'd optimize. If my life depended on it? I'd use every dirty trick in the book. I'd still want my actual race to remain human, though. Sure, I might shapechange for combat, but I like being human.

Myth
2011-11-30, 10:01 AM
Same for me. I want my human body, I can figure out how to become immortal with Wizard into Incantatrix on one side and Claric into Dweomerkeeper on the other. Miracle as Su comes to mind.

It's not like you'd NEED to be tier 0 in the real world to be superman/superwoman/superwarforged or whatever you guys want to be :smalltongue: In fact, I'm pretty sure your average level 12 Wizard can take over modern-day earth with no problem.

The more interesting question is what would you DO the moment you got your power? Since I'd be Mysra's (initiated :smalltongue:) servant, allowed to take DWK and so forth, I'd immediately try to Commune with her and ask her about the cosmology of the world and whether Plane Shift can take me to her. Exploring the Good planes is what I'd do for starters, perhaps meet some Good aligned dead who are there. Talk to them, talk to the Deities if they would have me.

Then I can always True Resurrect as Su from DWK and bring all the awesome but sadly dead people back to life. :smallsmile:

Even without Opt-Fu, starting at 1 xp from 21/21 means I can soon start working on my Epic spell. Now THAT's going to be fun. "Hey Mystra, can I get 500 or so Planetars to sacrifice slots for this here spell?"

I'd also probably be the Magister or at least at some point be allowed to cast level 10 and up spells.

FLOATING CITIES! Yes! :smallsmile:

OK so when am I getting my sheet?

Tyndmyr
2011-11-30, 10:15 AM
Talk to the dieties? Hells no. They may or may not like me. Why take the risk? No, immediate quest for ultimate personal power. I'd start by shuffling feats into the spell prep configuration, and load up on an arbitrarily large amount of prepared spells. I'd probably spend about an hour or two doing that before getting bored.

Then, I'd sit down and start scrying. Seriously, imagine being able to watch TV of...anything. I'd find me a good encounter or two I wouldn't feel bad about killing, teleport in, shred everything, build up a good xp reserve for casting wish. Encounters/wish for gear should get me anything I'll need in short order...and yes, I'll want to get full +5 inherent bonuses all round.

Also, casting Genesis nice and early is a priority. It takes a while for a Demi-plane to expand, and if you're going to play god, you might as well do it right.

Finding out if there's anyone else with magical powers would be a priority. I would assume that if it happened to me...it could have happened to others, and prepare accordingly. There would be no overt declaration of powers to the world if there was any reasonable possibility that I was not alone.

Then, probably take over a portion of the world in some terrible place(africa, etc) to experiment with.

Chess435
2011-11-30, 10:41 AM
Human Factotum 20 // Wizard 1 / Cleric 1 / Human Paragon 3 / Chameleon 10 / Warblade 5

I do things. All of the things.

(Also, can I push Chameleon past 10 via Legacy Champion? If so, where can I find an epic progression?)

Taelas
2011-11-30, 10:46 AM
Oddly enough, Veil (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/veil.htm) takes care of the size issue quite handily - no restrictions.
That works, yeah. Not sure what'll happen when you go inside a house too small for you, though.

Well, everyone else was making themselves into wizards, so I figured a big meatshield was an appropriate change. :P

That build is very specifically about boosting Strength, though. I'd probably be straight human for almost anything else.

Wiz 5/Mage of the Arcane Order 4/Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil 7/Archmage 4//Factotum 16/Lich 4.

As for the alignment, it'd happen on its own anyway; no one can handle that much power.

Tyndmyr
2011-11-30, 10:48 AM
If this is something everyone gets...and epic progression is possible, it basically becomes a thought experiment about what happens when a bunch of random humans get turned into gods.

Which, as Whitechapel Gods shows, can be a very interesting premise.

Chess435
2011-11-30, 11:27 AM
If this is something everyone gets...and epic progression is possible, it basically becomes a thought experiment about what happens when a bunch of random humans get turned into gods.

I'd personally give the planet about a week before someone manages to blow it up if something like this really happened. :smallamused:

Rubik
2011-11-30, 11:33 AM
Remember, that you're expecting things to follow through the tears in space-time. Many of which are incredibly dangerous.

Sure a level 12 (non-gestalt) wizard can take over the real world by himself if he wanted, but when he's up against epic level monstrosities?

So I suggest that you optimize a little.

Also, you have enough xp to be almost epic (1 xp away), but you're capped at level 20, so you have plenty of xp to be doing item creation and such. You can't go epic, but if you spend your xp you CAN get more, so long as you find appropriate encounters (and you will), though you still have the epic cap.

And no Epic Spellcasting even if you cheat your way into epic feats.

As to whether others develop powers as well? They might, but they'll have to take routes other than the one you took (except maybe if a campaign is run; that could change things).

Hiro Protagonest
2011-11-30, 11:49 AM

Just go play Exalted.

Viktyr Gehrig
2011-11-30, 02:21 PM

Count me in, as a player.

I'm so in. This is pretty much my character build now.

I see a bunch of cool builds here, but I just can't help thinking, "How the heck would the world survive a bunch of average, fallible people getting ridiculous amounts of power?"

I don't think it would, really. Somebody would break reality within a day.

When I am capable of building whole new worlds to my specifications, the survival of this world will no longer be my highest priority. Assuming a large enough sample human population and a sufficient non-terrestrial source of diamonds, I may abandon Terra entirely. I suspect that most Terrans would prefer it that way, at least until those epic incursions started happening. Better luck next universe.

Most of the builds here are focusing on how you'd build such a character for an optimized game... and are coming with things that will horribly warp their personalities (alignment restrictions...), many of which would make for rather destructive people.

Ironically, I'm passing up a class that is really ideologically important to me, mostly because I don't have room for it, but partially because I'm not willing to suffer an alignment shift. My personality is already horribly warped, but even more ironically, having the kind of power we're discussing would make me less destructive, and one heal spell would make me considerably more stable.

There's a reason why I chose a class that has all the healing spells and very few blasts.

Thing is, though, you optimize differently for life than you do for a game. Some of that's just spell / power / et cetera selection (Fabricate vs. Cloudkill type stuff), but race and class does play a part there.

Yeah. My Witch Spell and Hex selection is all geared to my agenda-- which doesn't involve a lot of combat. Chameleon lets me fill in the gaps, like permanency, contingency, and last breath. (Assuming it wouldn't naturally fall on the Witch list anyway.) I'm not heavily optimized, but I'm really good at the things I care about being really good at.

Generic Spellcaster(Divine) (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/genericClasses.htm#spellcaster)-10/Contemplative-10 (Complete Divine)//Gloura(LA+2, 7 RHD: Underdark)/Half-Dragon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/halfDragon.htm)(LA+3)/Ghost (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/ghost.htm)(LA+5)/Evolved Undead (1 iteration, LA+1, Libris Mortis)/and either Rogue-2 or Pious Templar-2 (Complete Divine) depending on whether or not two PrC's at a time are permitted.

Yeah. If I could assume that Generic classes were in-play, I'd run Spellcaster (arcane)/Mindbender/Fleshwarper//Archaeologist, assuming I could also slip the align limit on Fleshwarper.

The lawful evil is most certainly not just for prereqs. I'm all kinds of lawful IRL, and while I certainly have a code of good and evil, it doesn't particularly match the definition according to D&D. So, I'd basically have the exact same personality(well, endless power may change that somewhat eventually, but you get the idea).

Yeah, I'm a Blue and Orange guy myself. I'm not textbook Evil and I couldn't take any class with an Evil code of conduct, but anyone who thinks I'm Neutral has never been in my way. Funny thing is, give me enough power and I'll become less Evil because I'll be able to do more good with less collateral damage.

As for the optimization...god yes I'd optimize. If my life depended on it? I'd use every dirty trick in the book. I'd still want my actual race to remain human, though. Sure, I might shapechange for combat, but I like being human.

Human-shaped is good enough for me. Doppelganger's better, but if I don't need Chameleon I would seriously consider a psionic Elan build. Only reason I hesitate is that genesis is weak tea compared to create demiplane.

Talk to the dieties? Hells no. They may or may not like me. Why take the risk?

I'm a religious man. Better believe I'd be asking my gods if they knew what was going on. If they don't like what I'd do with that kind of power, they're free to try to stop me-- based on Deities & Demigods, I'm going to ping all over their radars just going about my business.

I'd find me a good encounter or two I wouldn't feel bad about killing, teleport in, shred everything, build up a good xp reserve for casting wish.

I can think of a few countries I wouldn't mind burning off the map. Figure if I'm going to keep bothering with Terra and its upcoming dimensional problems, I'll need the practice to stay sharp-- and, y'know, some good karma.

Finding out if there's anyone else with magical powers would be a priority. I would assume that if it happened to me...it could have happened to others, and prepare accordingly. There would be no overt declaration of powers to the world if there was any reasonable possibility that I was not alone.

Oh Hell no. Permanent tongues and greater teleport mean that whenever I need to communicate with "the world" I can do it anonymously, from my laptop, from anywhere on the planet. Even if I am the only one-- which I'll be verifying with a contact other plane regularly-- I don't want anyone to know my name, my nature, or my agenda.

Then, probably take over a portion of the world in some terrible place(africa, etc) to experiment with.

Demiplanes. Plural.

Tyndmyr
2011-11-30, 05:42 PM
I'd personally give the planet about a week before someone manages to blow it up if something like this really happened. :smallamused:

Honestly, I feel like those of us who are really, really good at char-op also tend toward the paranoid. We'd probably do our wild experiments off on private demiplanes. Those who experienced unfortunate accidents would likely just vanish from existence.

Remember, that you're expecting things to follow through the tears in space-time. Many of which are incredibly dangerous.

Sure a level 12 (non-gestalt) wizard can take over the real world by himself if he wanted, but when he's up against epic level monstrosities?

Depends on the monstrosity. Quite probably. That epic beetle, for example, could certainly be taken out by a well built level 12 wizard, and that's the highest CR non diety, right? Certainly, the "kill a balor in E6" challenge had no shortage of successful routes, and this is effectively E20.

Just go play Exalted.

I have it. It's description of dieties, etc doesn't appeal to me. I'd much rather do high powered D&D.

I'm so in. This is pretty much my character build now.

My actual build in a game would probably differ slightly from this listed build, but be fairly similar. Got to have SOME secrets. That said, anyone trying to recruit a DM?

When I am capable of building whole new worlds to my specifications, the survival of this world will no longer be my highest priority. Assuming a large enough sample human population and a sufficient non-terrestrial source of diamonds, I may abandon Terra entirely. I suspect that most Terrans would prefer it that way, at least until those epic incursions started happening. Better luck next universe.

It's not the highest priority, granted, but I feel it'd still be a priority. There's useful stuff here. And those epic incursions may prove useful.

Ironically, I'm passing up a class that is really ideologically important to me, mostly because I don't have room for it, but partially because I'm not willing to suffer an alignment shift. My personality is already horribly warped, but even more ironically, having the kind of power we're discussing would make me less destructive, and one heal spell would make me considerably more stable.

My build would be much improved by being necropolitan. There's literally no reason not to take it mechanically. That said, IRL, I don't want to be an undead corpse. So...yeah. That wouldn't happen.

Yeah, I'm a Blue and Orange guy myself. I'm not textbook Evil and I couldn't take any class with an Evil code of conduct, but anyone who thinks I'm Neutral has never been in my way. Funny thing is, give me enough power and I'll become less Evil because I'll be able to do more good with less collateral damage.

I could see that being the case in many instances. That said, I wouldn't be above unleashing some massive devastation in pursuit of someone I considered bad solely for the purpose of intimidation.

Mind Blank will be up for forever and ever, amen. If the gods stay out of my way, I'll stay out of theirs. I am reasonably certain that I can arrange my demiplane such that any intrusion there could be dealt with....harshly.

Oh Hell no. Permanent tongues and greater teleport mean that whenever I need to communicate with "the world" I can do it anonymously, from my laptop, from anywhere on the planet. Even if I am the only one-- which I'll be verifying with a contact other plane regularly-- I don't want anyone to know my name, my nature, or my agenda.

I'd need a good reason to go public, yes. If I did so, an alternative identity is not unreasonable.

Rubik
2011-11-30, 05:54 PM
I'd definitely go alternate identity, which wouldn't be hard with shapechanging and Mindblank. I'd want some public fanfare just because I'm saving the world and it's nice to be recognized (and anyone caught slandering me would have a nice round of [mind-affecting] powers as recompense).

Also, I forgot to mention, I'd be buffing to the nines then using Schism, Timeless Body, and Temporal Reiteration for complete invulnerability. Since I took Supernatural Transformation, it's undispellable. Not sure if Disjunction would work on it, but I'd take steps against it anyway. Then it'd be mostly a matter of minimizing collateral damage.

Chess435
2011-11-30, 07:03 PM
Also, how would you guys be spending your WBL? Going by the statement in the PHB that 1 GP is 1/3 ounce, each of your 760,000 gp would be worth almost $600 USD each, at least until the price crashes due to so much entering the market simultaneously. :smallamused: (A bit short of a half-billion cumulatively)

Istari
2011-11-30, 07:05 PM
For all around usefulness and practicality in real life Factotum//Wizard/Rainbow Servant

All the good spells in the game known plus handy Factotum mimickry and intelligence skills monkying.

Rubik
2011-11-30, 07:13 PM
Also, how would you guys be spending your WBL? Going by the statement in the PHB that 1 GP is 1/3 ounce, each of your 760,000 gp would be worth almost $600 USD each, at least until the price crashes due to so much entering the market simultaneously. :smallamused: (A bit short of a half-billion cumulatively)Gold is relatively common compared to the availability of magic items, and there is ALL SORTS of awesome available to anybody who really wants some nifty magic item goodness.

That, and I could make all sorts of money after I became a level 20 gestalt. Literally, even.

I'd definitely be buying a thought bottle first, then crafting a ton of stuff using cost reducers (and PsyRef'ing them out afterwards). Things stacked together, like a +6 belt of magnificence attached to a belt of battle. As many immunities as I could find, chronocharms, magical traps for mundane things (like food creation, curatives [Lesser Vigor and Remove Disease], Bestow Curse to help with overpopulation issues, and so on), ring gates, necklace of adaptation, anklets of translocation, plenty of items from the MIC and elsewhere, etc. I'd be gussying up my own person through warforged components, armor enhancements to my warforged plating, ML boosters, power shards, Wishes, maybe even a few unobtrusive grafts, as well, and I'd have as much as I could manage inherent to my self, rather than actual equipment.

Basically, if you tried to Detect Magic on me I'd light up like Hiroshima.

Chess435
2011-11-30, 07:17 PM
Gold is relatively common compared to the availability of magic items, and there is ALL SORTS of awesome available to anybody who really wants some nifty magic item goodness.

That, and I could make all sorts of money after I became a level 20 gestalt. Literally, even.

I'd definitely be buying a thought bottle first, then crafting a ton of stuff using cost reducers (and PsyRef'ing them out afterwards). Things stacked together, like a +6 belt of magnificence attached to a belt of battle. As many immunities as I could find, chronocharms, magical traps for mundane things (like food creation, curatives [Lesser Vigor and Remove Disease], Bestow Curse to help with overpopulation issues, and so on), ring gates, necklace of adaptation, anklets of translocation, plenty of items from the MIC and elsewhere, etc. I'd be gussying up my own person through warforged components, armor enhancements to my warforged plating, ML boosters, power shards, Wishes, maybe even a few unobtrusive grafts, as well, and I'd have as much as I could manage inherent to my self, rather than actual equipment.

So basically if I see a giant blue blur through my permanencied Arcane Sight, I'll know it's you. :smallwink:

Rubik
2011-11-30, 07:21 PM
So basically if I see a giant blue blur through my permanencied Arcane Sight, I'll know it's you. :smallwink:Given the fact that I'll have about 10x as much WBL as I'm supposed to, yeah, basically.

From halfway across the galaxy.

Tetsubo 57
2011-11-30, 07:34 PM
I'd prefer Pathfinder to 3.5 but I think I would choose Druid 20/Nomad Psion 20.

Shadowknight12
2011-11-30, 07:40 PM
Also, how would you guys be spending your WBL? Going by the statement in the PHB that 1 GP is 1/3 ounce, each of your 760,000 gp would be worth almost $600 USD each, at least until the price crashes due to so much entering the market simultaneously. :smallamused: (A bit short of a half-billion cumulatively)

Charity.

No, seriously. What do I want money for? I have magic.

Edit: It's also funny, because you can tell so much about the posters here by reading their builds and the thoughts behind them. Who feels lonely, who feels powerless, who wants love, who chafes at the restrictions placed upon them when it comes to finding out how the universe works, who wants to feel like they matter, who wants to give their life meaning, and so on.

It's simply fascinating.

manamyst
2011-11-30, 07:59 PM
Given the fact that I'll have about 10x as much WBL as I'm supposed to, yeah, basically.

From halfway across the galaxy.

with my starship i will be able to check
no wheight there will be to much interference from me to see it

Calanon
2011-11-30, 08:23 PM
Edit: It's also funny, because you can tell so much about the posters here by reading their builds and the thoughts behind them. Who feels lonely, who feels powerless, who wants love, who chafes at the restrictions placed upon them when it comes to finding out how the universe works, who wants to feel like they matter, who wants to give their life meaning, and so on.

It's simply fascinating.

...Well yeah that could be it or it could just be that we thought the builds we made are just really really neat :smallconfused: If i was what I made then I would probably just leave the Material plane first chance I get to go to a timeless plane so I can take a nap for the rest of eternity... There you go! I just over stepped all your possible reasons for a build. I just want a place for me to have the most epic nap in all of creation :smallbiggrin:

Jack_Simth
2011-11-30, 08:26 PM
Technically it's 50 gp/pound... and do bear in mind that precious metals are measured in troy ounces (12/pound) rather than standard ounces (16/pound). However... Troy pounds are different than Imperial pounds! There's 14.583333(repeating) troy ounces in an Imperial pound. If D&D is using imperial pounds for weighing the metal, each of those coins is thus 0.291666666(repeating) Troy ounces. At the current price of gold ($1749.00 USD, I think...), that's only about $510.125 per coin ... although if they are COINS, careful sales could get considerably more.

But you don't buy mundane stuff with it at character creation; you'd have to be crazy to do that, as actual magic in the real world would produce wealth *very* quickly (Miracle(Wall of Iron) is the easiest method - iron markets aren't watched that carefully, and you produce a rather lot of iron with no materials costs. There's also the assorted free wish routes [Shapechang into a Zodar, use the Supernatural Wish to make a Scroll with several Wishes on it already, use those for Simulacrums of advanced version of critters that have Wish as a spell-like ability usable on a daily basis, and then commanding those critters to use their Wishes according to your specs; the Dweomerkeeper's Supernatural Spell applied to Wish or True Creation, Thought Bottle {ab}use, Gate or Planar Binding abuse, and a few others], demiplane creation with minerals of your choosing, or even certain spells that a LOT of rich people would pay through the nose to get [Regenerate, Cure Blindness/Deafness, Cure Disease, Heal, Reincarnate, Resurrection...], can also net you a hefty sum very quickly... and that's without cheating the people you're getting the money from ala Major Creation, mind control, and other forms of theft). You either purchase crafting materials, or you purchase magic items with your WBL. Exclusively. You *might* want to pick up some spell components, and you probably want to pick up some spell focuses... but otherwise? Magic items or crafting supplies, all around.

Tvtyrant
2011-11-30, 08:29 PM
Even more importantly, you can make interspace colonization possible and healing permanent diseases easy. Why would you need to produce iron when you have the cure to aids, cancer and malaria all in one? Make billions the first year healing people by hand, then just sell traps of Heal for extremely cheap.

Andreaz
2011-11-30, 08:50 PM
An Elan Beguiler/Rainbow Servant/Abjurant Champion // Psion
Or Cleric//Esper Knight is homebrew is in.

Shadowknight12
2011-11-30, 08:51 PM
...Well yeah that could be it or it could just be that we thought the builds we made are just really really neat :smallconfused: If i was what I made then I would probably just leave the Material plane first chance I get to go to a timeless plane so I can take a nap for the rest of eternity... There you go! I just over stepped all your possible reasons for a build. I just want a place for me to have the most epic nap in all of creation :smallbiggrin:

I never said that those were all the possible reasons for builds. I just recalled a few examples. After all, you can't categorise people like that. Every person has its own combination of reasons for their builds. :smallwink:

Calanon
2011-11-30, 08:58 PM
I never said that those were all the possible reasons for builds. I just recalled a few examples. After all, you can't categorise people like that. Every person has its own combination of reasons for their builds. :smallwink:

Meh, alright I'll give it to you I hate when people Imply and I over reacted at you when you implied those were the reasons for people to make something... Sorry man :(
Anyway~ If the OP didn't say we had a level limit of 20 and couldn't just steal the Epic spellcasting option I would have made a Netherese Enclave... which is exactly why I had to make a fallback build :smallannoyed:

OMG can I NOT be a gestalt and be epic level? :smallbiggrin:

kardar233
2011-11-30, 11:47 PM
I would so be in for this.

I think we'd have to say that anything of the "Immune to Everything" magnitude like Tyndmyr was proposing will have to be out. Anything up to and including a Twice-Betrayer would probably be cool.

I wonder if we can find someone madly genius enough to DM this.

:smallconfused:

Can someone cast Summon Tippy?

Calanon
2011-12-01, 02:03 AM

You already have :smallwink:

kulosle
2011-12-01, 03:13 AM
The urge to make a bard artificer is strong. I could effectively turn the world into my own fighting force. Make them weapons and then IC optimization to make them all be able to hit and do damage with them. And god knows I love bards. Probably through in something like war chanter or warchief.

Crocodactyl
2011-12-01, 06:05 AM
Without too much worrying too much about optimization, I think I would go with Elan Wizard 20/Archivist 20, or switch out the later levels with PrCs that progress spellcasting. (I'm assuming that it comes with spell/prayer books) Then I would buy an Appatatus of Kwalish. I have wanted to drive one of those ever since I first got the AD&D 1e DMG.

I like to play warrior type characters in the game, but no way am I doing that in reality. As fun as something like War Hulk/ Frenzied Berserker could be, I don't have any idea what it would feel like gaining "No Time to Think" and I really don't want to undo all of the education I've had to devote my life to thus far.

Eldest
2011-12-01, 08:20 AM
Then I would buy an Appatatus of Kwalish. I have wanted to drive one of those ever since I first got the AD&D 1e DMG.

Step one: label all the controls.

Now I'm thinking about the random items I would buy.

hewhosaysfish
2011-12-01, 08:42 AM
Gold is relatively common compared to the availability of magic items, and there is ALL SORTS of awesome available to anybody who really wants some nifty magic item goodness.

I'd definitely be buying a thought bottle first, then crafting a ton of stuff using cost reducers (and PsyRef'ing them out afterwards).

Don't craft: Wish for a automatic-resetting trap of wish that wish for Rings of 3 Wishes that are powerful enough to be used to wish for automatic-resetting traps of Wish.

This costs 6224xp and can be used to net you any non-artifact items you want in whatever quantity. And I suppose you could use a though bottle to reduce that initial cost.

The (great) thing about this hypothetical is you don't have to feel guilty about pulling out ridiculous cheese. In fact if I were find myself in this scenario then I would feel guilty about not doing something incredibly cheesy.
There are people dying who could be save be automatic-resetting traps of Cure Disease; there are people being terrorised by invading monsters from another world and I could save those people with a single Arcane-Thesised,Twinned, Split, Repeat, Maximised, Empowered, Piercing-Cold Shivering Touch; it is in fact a moral imperative to go the the GitP forums and seek out the most OP build possible for the sake of humanity.

...Wait a minute... :smalleek:
Rubik, is there something you need to tell us? :smallwink:

Viktyr Gehrig
2011-12-01, 09:03 AM

I usually prefer finding some kind of exchange rate based on trade goods. Judging by the equipment lists, I've always assumed that 1 gp is closer to $10 or $20.

belt of magnificence +6 + monk's belt
tomes +5 for Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma
ring of sustenance + regeneration + necklace of adaptation
bracers of armor +8 + bracers of archery
amulet of mighty fists +5 + natural armor +5
decanter of endless water
permanent arcane sight, see invisibility, and tongues
at least one demiplane using greater create demiplane

As far as mundane property goes, if the exchange rate is closer to my estimates, I'm not going to bother. (Maybe buy myself a used trailer.) If it's closer to your estimate, I might look into a laboratory that produces artificial diamonds and possibly a small cosmetics company-- perfect cover for acquiring all kinds of obscure oils and minerals in bulk. Making money with PC abilities is trivial.

Little Brother
2011-12-01, 09:42 AM
No, but that seems to be her shtick. How else is she going to take care of things? Conjuration? Transmutation? Illusion?
Human StP Disciplined(Magic) Erudite 3/Cerebremancer 7/Divine Oracle 2/Factotum 8//Ardent 1/Bard 11/Sublime Chord 8

Enough casting. Use the Assume SU trick for free wishes.

Alternatively:
Illumian
Seer 20/Cloistered Cleric(Devoted to the cause of me) 1/Bard 19, using the Caster Fighter trick, combined with the Innate Spell/Assume SU for free wishes.

Or:
Spontaneous Divination focused Diviner Wizard 6/Divine Oracle 2/Mindbender 1/Anima Mage 7/Dweomerkeeper 4//Cloistered Cleric(Again, me)8/Binder 1/CC +11

Using Alternate Source Spell, uncanny forethought, and so on, I can have whatever I want whenever, and with Improved Binding, I can make being unprepared irrelevant.

Tyndmyr
2011-12-01, 09:46 AM
Charity.

No, seriously. What do I want money for? I have magic.

It's simply fascinating.

I feel you might be over-extrapolating. For instance, grabbing power doesn't mean you feel powerless or any of that. It could just mean that you're a pragmatic person.

I mean, I'm not at all poor and don't really worry about money at all...but if someone offered me a choice between a billion dollars or a trillion dollars, guess which one I'm gonna take.

I honestly wasn't that worried about WBL. I figured that being a wizard in a mundane world, my wealth was basically going to be "as much as I want", and I'm basically living in a wish economy personally. I will want a few of those magical spell component pouches, though. =)

I would so be in for this.

I think we'd have to say that anything of the "Immune to Everything" magnitude like Tyndmyr was proposing will have to be out. Anything up to and including a Twice-Betrayer would probably be cool.

I wonder if we can find someone madly genius enough to DM this.

:smallconfused:

Nah, that wasn't immune to everything. Well, not by default of the build, though I'd probably be fairly cautious if it's MY life on the line.

Immune to everything is usually the troll/bone knight combo, etc. I avoided anything of that magnitude...I just have a rather large amount of spells.

I can probably cast this spell, though, we'll see if it works.

Rubik
2011-12-01, 10:55 AM
Are we not allowed to do the 'immune to everything' dance? Because that's what I did with Schism/Font of Power/Temporal Reiteration/Timeless Body.

And yes, I'm being practical. One (superpowered) man against all the eldritch horrors an alternate dimension can spew out? I'm going to do my best to use my op-fu to destroy them all with as little collateral damage as I can.

Shadowknight12
2011-12-01, 11:32 AM
I feel you might be over-extrapolating. For instance, grabbing power doesn't mean you feel powerless or any of that. It could just mean that you're a pragmatic person.

Hmmmmm. No, there's a difference between "optimise to be reasonably good at whatever I aim to do" (pragmatic) and "optimise to be able to list at length all the things I'm immune to, all the things I can do, and all the ways I can win at anything I try to do." The latter is very much rooted in a feeling of powerlessness. Someone who fantasises at length (i.e., significantly more than the average person) about all the things they could achieve with this setup most likely feels (consciously or subconsciously) powerless in their lives.

Rubik
2011-12-01, 11:37 AM
Hmmmmm. No, there's a difference between "optimise to be reasonably good at whatever I aim to do" (pragmatic) and "optimise to be able to list at length all the things I'm immune to, all the things I can do, and all the ways I can win at anything I try to do." The latter is very much rooted in a feeling of powerlessness. Someone who fantasises at length (i.e., significantly more than the average person) about all the things they could achieve with this setup most likely feels (consciously or subconsciously) powerless in their lives.Or, some of us could be excellent optimizers, and play in high-powered games against tough DMs, or maybe we're concerned about the possibility of a horrible death against horrible, horrible monsters.

Tyndmyr
2011-12-01, 11:40 AM
Hmmmmm. No, there's a difference between "optimise to be reasonably good at whatever I aim to do" (pragmatic) and "optimise to be able to list at length all the things I'm immune to, all the things I can do, and all the ways I can win at anything I try to do." The latter is very much rooted in a feeling of powerlessness. Someone who fantasises at length (i.e., significantly more than the average person) about all the things they could achieve with this setup most likely feels (consciously or subconsciously) powerless in their lives.

So, you're saying what...all D&D players feel powerless in their lives, because they spend significantly more time than the average person fantasizing?

This seems sketchy at best.

Alternatively, someone could just like the TO challenge/ramifications. I don't view TO as being at all associated with powerlessness.

Or the length with which someone describes their build might merely indicate a tendency toward detail-oriented and lengthy posts.

Incanur
2011-12-01, 12:13 PM
Well, I for one absolutely feel powerless, chafe at restrictions, want love, want to feel like I matter, want give my life meaning, and spend plenty of time fantasizing. :smallsmile:

Taelas
2011-12-01, 12:14 PM
Let's stop the psychoanalysis, please?

Whether or not there are people who might feel the way you suggest, it's hardly something one should talk about in an open forum. :smallannoyed:

Shadowknight12
2011-12-01, 12:38 PM
Wow, I guess I touched several nerves there. My bad! Carry on, thread.

Dr.Orpheus
2011-12-01, 12:49 PM
Forsaker 20/Monk 20 with vow of poverty I would become a legendary homeless man.

lorddrake
2011-12-01, 01:31 PM
Forsaker 20/Monk 20 with vow of poverty I would become a legendary homeless man.

Monk 20? Seriously? You could not be ressurected... :smallconfused:

Or is it Pathfinder? Are monks very different there?

Ganurath
2011-12-01, 01:53 PM
{table]Level|Track A|Track B
1|Wilder|Rogue
2|Wilder|Rogue
3|Wilder|Rogue
4|Wilder|Rogue
5|Wilder|Rogue
6|Wilder|Thrallherd
7|Wilder|Mindspy
8|Wilder|Mindspy
9|Wilder|Mindspy
10|Wilder|Mindspy
11|Wilder|Mindspy
12|Wilder|Mindspy
13|Wilder|Mindspy
14|Wilder|Mindspy
15|Wilder|Mindspy
16|Wilder|Mindspy
17|Thrallherd|Rogue
18|Thrallherd|Rogue
19|Thrallherd|Rogue
20|Thrallherd|Rogue[/table]

Need to pick up Mindlink at L3 and and True Mind Switch and L18, but it's a nice way to bypass death by aging, and gives me a private army of minions and unstoppable anonymity.

Telonius
2011-12-01, 02:52 PM
I usually prefer finding some kind of exchange rate based on trade goods. Judging by the equipment lists, I've always assumed that 1 gp is closer to $10 or $20.

belt of magnificence +6 + monk's belt
tomes +5 for Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma
ring of sustenance + regeneration + necklace of adaptation
bracers of armor +8 + bracers of archery
amulet of mighty fists +5 + natural armor +5
decanter of endless water
permanent arcane sight, see invisibility, and tongues
at least one demiplane using greater create demiplane

As far as mundane property goes, if the exchange rate is closer to my estimates, I'm not going to bother. (Maybe buy myself a used trailer.) If it's closer to your estimate, I might look into a laboratory that produces artificial diamonds and possibly a small cosmetics company-- perfect cover for acquiring all kinds of obscure oils and minerals in bulk. Making money with PC abilities is trivial.

"Hey there Mr. Gates, I'm an optimized diplomancer, and I think it would be a great idea for you to make a few investments. Let me show you my business plan!"

Rubik
2011-12-01, 03:06 PM
{table]Level|Track A|Track B
1|Wilder|Rogue
2|Wilder|Rogue
3|Wilder|Rogue
4|Wilder|Rogue
5|Wilder|Rogue
6|Wilder|Thrallherd
7|Wilder|Mindspy
8|Wilder|Mindspy
9|Wilder|Mindspy
10|Wilder|Mindspy
11|Wilder|Mindspy
12|Wilder|Mindspy
13|Wilder|Mindspy
14|Wilder|Mindspy
15|Wilder|Mindspy
16|Wilder|Mindspy
17|Thrallherd|Rogue
18|Thrallherd|Rogue
19|Thrallherd|Rogue
20|Thrallherd|Rogue[/table]

Need to pick up Mindlink at L3 and and True Mind Switch and L18, but it's a nice way to bypass death by aging, and gives me a private army of minions and unstoppable anonymity.Wilder 16? Really? You're going to be enervating every time you wild surge.

Skaven
2011-12-01, 03:09 PM
Considering the average person has about 3hp I wouldn't worry about optimization too much. I would definitely give it a lot of thought though.

OTTOMH though

Kobold (Dragonwrought)
20 Druid + 10 Bard / 10 Shifter (3.0 MOMF)

Why Bard? (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/glibness.htm)

Rubik
2011-12-01, 03:11 PM
Considering the average person has about 3hp I wouldn't worry about optimization too much. I would definitely give it a lot of thought though.

OTTOMH though

Kobold
20 Druid + 10 Bard / 10 Shifter (3.0 MOMF)

Why Bard? (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/glibness.htm)Uh... Hello? Evil abominations from another dimension?

Or does anyone even read the first post anymore?

:confused:

Skaven
2011-12-01, 03:22 PM
Uh... Hello? Evil abominations from another dimension?

Or does anyone even read the first post anymore?

:confused:

I'm fairly sure a straight tier 1 class is perfectly capable of dealing with an occasional monstrous incursion that the military couldn't.

Rubik
2011-12-01, 03:24 PM
I'm fairly sure a tier 1 class if perfectly capable of dealing with an occasional monstrous incursion that the military couldn't.But if you're only worried about 'optimizing' for taking out 1-5th level characters, what happens when you find elder brains, paragon half-dragon tarrasques, and great wyrm prismatic dragons invading?

Skaven
2011-12-01, 03:26 PM
But if you're only worried about 'optimizing' for taking out 1-5th level characters, what happens when you find elder brains, paragon half-dragon tarrasques, and great wyrm prismatic dragons invading?

I just did a search on the original post and didn't turn up a single mention of evil abominations or elder evils.

you can expect the potential of other monstrous incursions from, say, Greyhawk, that you'd have to protect against (a la superhero/villain).

No mention of planar threats or anything of epic standard. You might want to edit in you want optimal cheese.

Anyway, you're putting a lot of emphasis on an ottomh from a forum thread. Its just a lil bit of fun. And i'm not going to treat it as anything more. Peace!

Rubik
2011-12-01, 03:28 PM
I just did a search on the original post and didn't turn up a single mention of evil abominations or elder evils.

No mention of planar threats or anything of epic standard. You might want to edit in you want optimal cheese.

Anyway, you're putting a lot of emphasis on an ottomh from a forum thread. Its just a lil bit of fun.

It's called paranoia. If I knew that D&D critters were going to come through interdimensional rifts based on:

Nobody else gets these powers, and you can expect the potential of other monstrous incursions from, say, Greyhawk, that you'd have to protect against (a la superhero/villain).

...then I'd expect everything from stock-standard kobolds to balors and beyond.

Dr.Orpheus
2011-12-01, 03:38 PM
Monk 20? Seriously? You could not be ressurected... :smallconfused:

Or is it Pathfinder? Are monks very different there?

I guess pathfinder cause it makes better non-powergamed characters. If I was powergameing I would be a Psion 20/Binder 20.

kulosle
2011-12-01, 05:05 PM
How do cohorts work? If my character took leadership would he have the cohort listed on the character sheet or would i have to find an average human? Or what if it was from something like thaumaturgist? Can I still cast summon planar ally? Cause I may need to start making a cohort then.

Rubik
2011-12-01, 05:23 PM
How do cohorts work? If my character took leadership would he have the cohort listed on the character sheet or would i have to find an average human? Or what if it was from something like thaumaturgist? Can I still cast summon planar ally? Cause I may need to start making a cohort then.Since the world starts out as 'normal' you'd either have to settle for a living human (all of which would be at or below level 5), or you'd have to pull in something else from elsewhere. Chances are that whatever you pulled in via Planar Binding or what have you wouldn't be disposed toward liking you overmuch, though there's a chance that whomever you choose wouldn't like it where s/he was, and would appreciate being pulled into this world. Though you could always go there via Plane Shift and recruit, if you like.

Dr.Orpheus
2011-12-01, 05:25 PM
How do cohorts work? If my character took leadership would he have the cohort listed on the character sheet or would i have to find an average human? Or what if it was from something like thaumaturgist? Can I still cast summon planar ally? Cause I may need to start making a cohort then.

If I did have to choose normal people as a followers and had the Cha I could influence world leaders and eventually rule the world so I would not mind having normal people.

kulosle
2011-12-01, 06:02 PM
Well I have a bard//artificer build in my head, but I personally wouldn't want to turn into. I much prefer my druid//factotum build, but if the world is going to be invaded then I would want there to be an artificer//bard/marshal/maybe dragon disciple auras for the win. My build would be great and powerful on its own but there would be a lot of collateral damage.

Taelas
2011-12-01, 07:19 PM
Since the world starts out as 'normal' you'd either have to settle for a living human (all of which would be at or below level 5), or you'd have to pull in something else from elsewhere. Chances are that whatever you pulled in via Planar Binding or what have you wouldn't be disposed toward liking you overmuch, though there's a chance that whomever you choose wouldn't like it where s/he was, and would appreciate being pulled into this world. Though you could always go there via Plane Shift and recruit, if you like.

So, uh, what's to stop us from just saying "screw Earth" and go hang out in Sigil?

Rubik
2011-12-01, 07:25 PM
So, uh, what's to stop us from just saying "screw Earth" and go hang out in Sigil?Nothing. But everything you know and (potentially) love will go splat.

Basically like any D&D campaign.

Calanon
2011-12-01, 07:57 PM
Nothing. But everything you know and (potentially) love will go splat.

Reason why I would leave earth first chance I get :smallfrown:
So I don't have to worry about my friends and family living/dying infront of my by the Eldritch abominations don't think "New plane!? TIME TO KILL ALL THE INHABITANTS!" I maybe Evil but I still want to protect what is mines even If i have to protect it from a distance :smallwink:

kulosle
2011-12-01, 08:10 PM
I would take the opposite route, stay and help the world get ready for the incursion. Which is why I'm looking for a reliable way to get a cohort with bard or artificer levels. So far i'm at a loss. Normally the answer is just leadership but that's down the drain. Any ideas? Also is there a way of getting mindsight onto a divine caster?

How would learning knew spells work as a archivist or wizard that has to find the spells?

Rubik
2011-12-01, 08:11 PM
Reason why I would leave earth first chance I get :smallfrown:
So I don't have to worry about my friends and family living/dying infront of my by the Eldritch abominations don't think "New plane!? TIME TO KILL ALL THE INHABITANTS!" I maybe Evil but I still want to protect what is mines even If i have to protect it from a distance :smallwink:You want to leave the ease and comfort of modern life behind for a back-asswards ball of superstition and serfdom? Sure you'll have magic, but there's no Glee! in Sigil. :smallwink:

I would take the opposite route, stay and help the world get ready for the incursion. Which is why I'm looking for a reliable way to get a cohort with bard or artificer levels. So far i'm at a loss. Normally the answer is just leadership but that's down the drain. Any ideas?Take Leadership, then recruit followers in Sigil. I'm sure there's a bard or two there. :smallwink:

legomaster00156
2011-12-01, 08:13 PM
Level 20 gestalt, with 3.5 rules. Hm. I would be a Paladin 20//Sorcerer 20 (I don't care about your fancy-schmancy "optimization!"). I would focus on Abjuration, Enchantment, and Transmutation. My 3 level 9 spells would be Gate, Shapechange, and Time Stop. I will take Extend Spell and Empower Spell, at the very least.
Most of the time when facing enemies not charmable, I will take my tier 2-ness and shove it in the enemies' faces by buffing myself with defensive and offensive spells, and then Smiting them with my +5 Holy Greatsword. If things get dire, I can make use of my superior spells/day to Time Stop, Gate in something offensively superior, and then Shapechange into something much more appropriate for the given encounter.

Taelas
2011-12-01, 08:23 PM
Nothing. But everything you know and (potentially) love will go splat.

Most D&D campaigns don't have access to modern weaponry and armies. I think even a Balor might hesitate at a tactical warhead.

Sure, once we arrive at eldritch abominations, they might have problems... but hey, that ain't my fault. I wouldn't want to mess with 'em even as a level 20 gestalt, so it's not as if anything would change.

I'll grab a laptop with a few TBs worth of games, films and TV series on it, a portable generator (conveniently stuffed into my handy haversack), and head on to Sigil, and encourage a little technological advancement. Make whole should suffice for any kinks the laptop might eventually develop, so I'm good.

Rubik
2011-12-01, 08:26 PM
Most D&D campaigns don't have access to modern weaponry and armies. I think even a Balor might hesitate at a tactical warhead.

Sure, once we arrive at eldritch abominations, they might have problems... but hey, that ain't my fault. I wouldn't want to mess with 'em even as a level 20 gestalt, so it's not as if anything would change.

I'll grab a laptop with a few TBs worth of games, films and TV series on it, a portable generator (conveniently stuffed into my handy haversack), and head on to Sigil, and encourage a little technological advancement. Make whole should suffice for any kinks the laptop might eventually develop, so I'm good.You know, I'd definitely take the option on the character sheet, just to keep YOU from getting it. :smallbiggrin:

Jack_Simth
2011-12-01, 08:29 PM
IWhich is why I'm looking for a reliable way to get a cohort with bard or artificer levels. So far i'm at a loss. Normally the answer is just leadership but that's down the drain. Any ideas?
Use the Simulacrum spell using any method that skips the material components. This permits you to make a Simulacrum of any arbitrary creature (up to a hit dice limit of twice your caster level), which results in an arbitrary creature with a number of hit dice up to your caster level. So if you're, say, a Dweomerkeeper, and use Supernatural Spell on Miracle(Simulacrum), Wish(Simulacrum), or directly on Simulacrum (although this last is not recommended due to the time expenditure), then you've got an ally of arbitrary build that is "under your absolute command at all times". Oh yes, and this ally is limited by hit dice, not by ECL or CR, and has no limiting clauses for the use of templates that do not increase hit dice. It's rather cheesy.

Also is there a way of getting mindsight onto a divine caster?Yes, you just need Telepathy from some source. Mindbender can actually work - while it advances arcane casting, it doesn't actually require a casting class - just Arcane Caster level 5, the ability to cast Charm Person, and some skill ranks (which can be taken cross-class without difficulty, as the highest one is 4 ranks). Charm person from a domain, that little feat - Magical Training, I think? - that nets you a few arcane cantrips, and Practiced Spellcaster will do you. However, for something a bit more exaustive, check out the Lists of Stuff (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19871954/Lists_of_Stuff), and use your browser's search feature to locate "Telepathy" on that page.

kulosle
2011-12-01, 08:30 PM
how do things like animal cohort, undead leadership, and dragon cohort work?

Chess435
2011-12-01, 08:39 PM
how do things like animal cohort, undead leadership, and dragon cohort work?

I would assume that they don't, at least from the get-go.

Rubik
2011-12-01, 08:43 PM
I would assume that they don't, at least from the get-go.Basically. You can MAKE them work through Planar Binding and stuff, or if you Plane Shift.

Otherwise, you're getting mundane humans and animals until the planar walls start crumbling.

[edit] Keep in mind, this isn't for an actual game. It's just what you would do if given this opportunity. You can stretch things a bit; say what you think you could do, given the setup. You'd have to pull high-level followers from elsewhere, but you could get 'normal' ones easy enough.

Chess435
2011-12-01, 09:00 PM
Basically. You can MAKE them work through Planar Binding and stuff, or if you Plane Shift.

Otherwise, you're getting mundane humans and animals until the planar walls start crumbling.

[edit] Keep in mind, this isn't for an actual game. It's just what you would do if given this opportunity. You can stretch things a bit; say what you think you could do, given the setup. You'd have to pull high-level followers from elsewhere, but you could get 'normal' ones easy enough.

The thing is, a lot of us were thinking about making this an actual game.

Rubik
2011-12-01, 09:01 PM
The thing is, a lot of us were thinking about making this an actual game.I'm not the DM of it, though, so I think whatever DM would want to take this thing on would be the one answering the questions.

Is there a separate discussion regarding this somewhere? Someone who wants to DM the thing?

Calanon
2011-12-01, 10:13 PM
I'm just gonna ask here and now but do templates count against us? like a +2 LA would make you a lvl 18 instead of a 20?

Rubik
2011-12-01, 10:20 PM
I'm just gonna ask here and now but do templates count against us? like a +2 LA would make you a lvl 18 instead of a 20?Behold:Whitetext

LA takes up one of your levels, so it should take up one side of the gestalt. It does make LA buyoff (effectively) impossible, but you're still getting class-based goodness anyway.

Viktyr Gehrig
2011-12-01, 11:16 PM
"Hey there Mr. Gates, I'm an optimized diplomancer, and I think it would be a great idea for you to make a few investments. Let me show you my business plan!"

Too splashy. I've got cauldron and witch's brew. I make good old-fashioned homeopathic medicine-- the kind that doesn't do anything-- and just replace three orders every day with potions of remove disease. Hire a marketing firm to keep track of your publicity and whenever you hear of people testing your remedies, stop including the potions for a couple of months.

Run it fly-by-night so when they get caught you can just take your cash and vanish. Buy a new startup.

Rubik
2011-12-01, 11:22 PM
Too splashy. I've got cauldron and witch's brew. I make good old-fashioned homeopathic medicine-- the kind that doesn't do anything-- and just replace three orders every day with potions of remove disease. Hire a marketing firm to keep track of your publicity and whenever you hear of people testing your remedies, stop including the potions for a couple of months.

Run it fly-by-night so when they get caught you can just take your cash and vanish. Buy a new startup.You dirty rat. :smallamused:

Viktyr Gehrig
2011-12-02, 12:32 AM
You dirty rat. :smallamused:

How am I a dirty rat? It's like a magic medicine lottery. And the odds are still better than the people buying "real" homeopathic medicine.

Rubik
2011-12-02, 12:46 AM
How am I a dirty rat? It's like a magic medicine lottery. And the odds are still better than the people buying "real" homeopathic medicine.True. But why not just sell everyone a cure? It's not like you can't make them for free with trap appropriations.

Viktyr Gehrig
2011-12-02, 05:07 AM
True. But why not just sell everyone a cure? It's not like you can't make them for free with trap appropriations.

If it works too well and doesn't resemble a familiar treatment method, it's going to draw too much attention. Besides, I find magic trap abuse distasteful.

BobVosh
2011-12-02, 06:03 AM
Pixie 4/Hexblade 2/Bard 1/sublime chord 2/Virtuoso 10/Abjurant Champion 1 //Sorc 5/Incantrix 8/IotSFV 7
Beauty Bounty (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fey/20030815a) is important for the build.
Grab craft rod, decent metamagics, especially persistant to persist buffs of high levels.
Charisma seems like the most fun IRL stat to be based off of, and I would pump that to epic levels due to having it to saves and HP. Diplomacy + bluff would be easy. Persistant rods would be important for Ruin Delver's Fortune to add cha to saves again.

If it works too well and doesn't resemble a familiar treatment method, it's going to draw too much attention. Besides, I find magic trap abuse distasteful.

I would abuse RAW as hard as I could. I would build the one man Tippyverse as much as I find feasible.

Taelas
2011-12-02, 06:18 AM
Pixie 4/Hexblade 1//Sorcerer 5 doesn't fulfill the prerequisites for Incantatrix. :smalltongue:

You need 3rd level arcane spells. Pixies use SLAs, not spells, and sorcerers won't have 3rd level spells till 6th level.

BobVosh
2011-12-02, 06:26 AM
Hmm, I was wizard first before deciding I want charisma. 1 less incant, 1 more sorc.

Yahzi
2011-12-02, 07:47 AM
See, I'm a warforged. I get the whole 'don't die, don't sleep, don't eat' thing
But... you get the whole don't eat anything (like chocolate cake, chocolate pie, or chocolate), and don't sleep (with anyone!).

I'm not sure the "don't die" part is worth it.

Tyndmyr
2011-12-02, 09:15 AM
So, uh, what's to stop us from just saying "screw Earth" and go hang out in Sigil?

If any of the rifts that open are to Sigil...Or you have some other means of getting there...nothing, probably. But I imagine a lot of people have at least some interest in things on this world.

Incanur
2011-12-02, 10:06 AM

Nuclear weapons aren't made for killing demons, especially not ones that can teleport at will. Played with the appropriate intelligence, a single balor would conquer this entire planet.

Dr.Epic
2011-12-02, 10:14 AM
Actually, can I go 20 samurai

http://media.animegalleries.net/albums/samurai_champloo/mugen/champloo_mugen0161.jpg?=123

and then the other 20 would be 10 monk/10 rogue

http://animesalvation.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/spike-spiegel-gun.jpg

Double Steve Blum!:smallbiggrin:

Taelas
2011-12-02, 11:26 AM
Nuclear weapons aren't made for killing demons, especially not ones that can teleport at will. Played with the appropriate intelligence, a single balor would conquer this entire planet.

Your argument precludes the possibility of the Balor underestimating people, which I would consider not only likely, but almost certain, due to the arrogance such a powerful creature possesses. Especially a tanar'ri.

Also, Balors aren't omniscient.

Tyndmyr
2011-12-02, 11:33 AM
Your argument precludes the possibility of the Balor underestimating people, which I would consider not only likely, but almost certain, due to the arrogance such a powerful creature possesses. Especially a tanar'ri.

Also, Balors aren't omniscient.

Agreed, but if the knowledge of nukes gets out...pretty much a dead loss at that point.

legomaster00156
2011-12-02, 11:37 AM
The thing is, a lot of us were thinking about making this an actual game.
Well, Pathfinder recently came out with a d20 Modern-style alternative. Combine PF d20 Modern (http://www.d20modernpf.com/) and normal PF (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/), and we have this game.

Taelas
2011-12-02, 11:41 AM
Agreed, but if the knowledge of nukes gets out...pretty much a dead loss at that point.

Not really. Even for a Balor, using a nuke is probably way overkill.

Rubik
2011-12-02, 11:43 AM
But... you get the whole don't eat anything (like chocolate cake, chocolate pie, or chocolate), and don't sleep (with anyone!).

I'm not sure the "don't die" part is worth it.You CAN eat, but you don't have to, hence the ability to use potions and consume Heroes Feasts. And if you're a caster or manifester you have to have 8 hours of restful calm, so you can snuggle up all night just fine.

Not really. Even for a Balor, using a nuke is probably way overkill.Balors are psychotic Chaotic Evil incarnate. Any given one MIGHT not want to kill everyone, but you can't be sure, and there's a VERY good chance that nuking strategic parts of the planet to maximize suffering from the fallout would mean that it would do exactly that.

The first thing I would do would be to start using divination and then teleport in and destroy all traces of nuclear and biological weapons, both information and the actual things, and I'd start working the hell out of Heal traps.

Tyndmyr
2011-12-02, 11:48 AM
Not really. Even for a Balor, using a nuke is probably way overkill.

I don't contest that a nuke could probably kill a balor. But, if the balor is aware of what nukes are....avoidance becomes relatively easy. They can teleport at will, remember.

Also, do we have a DM yet?

Rubik
2011-12-02, 11:52 AM
Also, do we have a DM yet?"All signs point to 'no'."

Sorry.

lorddrake
2011-12-02, 11:57 AM
"All signs point to 'no'."

Sorry.

I'd love to DM but I wouldn't be all that good because I'm low on optimization skills (and this is supposed to be optimization-heavy) and I have no experience in PbP...

But I'd like to see what happens...

Tyndmyr
2011-12-02, 12:04 PM
Honestly, the biggest thing for pbp is keeping a general high level of activity. If you're comfortable with posting fairly frequently for a fair length of time, the rest can be learned.

Certainly, there is no shortage of advice regarding optimization around here....and honestly, I would expect this game to be very sandboxy, with players causing a great deal of the plot. You've got the unexplained rifts thing to pull in whatever you need to, but otherwise, it's going to be very heavily about seeing what everyone does.

lorddrake
2011-12-02, 12:08 PM
Honestly, the biggest thing for pbp is keeping a general high level of activity. If you're comfortable with posting fairly frequently for a fair length of time, the rest can be learned.

Certainly, there is no shortage of advice regarding optimization around here....and honestly, I would expect this game to be very sandboxy, with players causing a great deal of the plot. You've got the unexplained rifts thing to pull in whatever you need to, but otherwise, it's going to be very heavily about seeing what everyone does.

I will probably DM in a PbP here someday, but this one does not look like the thing I could even handle.

For exemple: I don't even know Gestalt rules... :smalleek:

Well... Maybe other campaign... other time...

Tyndmyr
2011-12-02, 12:10 PM
I will probably DM in a PbP here someday, but this one does not look like the thing I could even handle.

For exemple: I don't even know Gestalt rules... :smalleek:

Well... Maybe other campaign... other time...

Ah, that might be a problem. Yeah, for your first campaign, level 20 is rough to start at.

They're not that hard though. Instead of taking one class each level, pick two, and you get the best stuff from both. It's a little more complicated and somewhat higher powered, but kind of a blast.

lorddrake
2011-12-02, 12:18 PM
Ah, that might be a problem. Yeah, for your first campaign, level 20 is rough to start at.

They're not that hard though. Instead of taking one class each level, pick two, and you get the best stuff from both. It's a little more complicated and somewhat higher powered, but kind of a blast.

I DM in the RL for a long time (over ten years). I have some experience, but not powergame experience.

But I'm getting tempted at accepting. But I want to know a few things first.
(And the rules I do not know I may research easily)

1- How many players are going to be? Who wants to play?
2- What would you expect in a game like this?

I may use a system (not game system) one GM used in a forum once (I was one of the players).

legomaster00156
2011-12-02, 12:20 PM
Just post an interest thread in the Recruitment forum. If it's PF, you surely have me. :smallsmile: (I MIGHT still join if it's 3.5, though.)

Tyndmyr
2011-12-02, 12:22 PM
I DM in the RL for a long time (over ten years). I have some experience, but not powergame experience.

(And the rules I do not know I may research easily)

1- How many players are going to be? Who wants to play?
2- What would you expect in a game like this?

Judging by current interest, probably 4-6, possibly more. I imagine it would depend a bit on how many you were willing to take on. I'd almost certainly pop in if you post a recruitment thread.

I would expect it to be mostly an exploration of what happens when people in reality suddenly gain fantastical powers. Fair combat would likely be fairly infrequent, with diplomacy and creative world building being more dominant than usual. Of course, the possibility of things popping over from rifts...or rifts being semi-permanent gateways to other places opens all manner of possibilities for conflict with anything from really any setting. I would imagine that epic creatures could be used to good effect in this game.

I may use a system (not game system) one GM used in a forum once (I was one of the players).

What sort of system?

lorddrake
2011-12-02, 12:23 PM
Just post an interest thread in the Recruitment forum. If it's PF, you surely have me. :smallsmile: (I MIGHT still join if it's 3.5, though.)

I know that, but I wanted to know how many people wanted to play and what they expected of the game. For two reasons:

1- I have to know if I can manage (if it is too many people it won't be fun for anybody)

and

2- If what I have in mind goes well with what they wanted to play.

What sort of system?

It was the most fun time I had as a player ever.

The GM had little impact in the sandbox experience of the players. He set a few pointers and the players created the story (in a post) and the GM decided consequences.

Let me tell you what happened to explain better:
It was a Resident Evil game. The players were trapped in Raccoon City. Zombies. Etc.
Some players decided they should make their characters some awesome-spawn blazing their guns everywhere blowing zombies' heads all over the place.
Me? I went creative. My character was an ufologist that believed what was happening in Raccon city was something the aliens had done. And he befriended a skeptical priest who killed zombies with a sword. Hilarity ensued.

See what I mean?

legomaster00156
2011-12-02, 12:38 PM
1. Post an interest thread. Request applications. The best 4-8 applications get into the game, depending on how many players you want and the required party effectiveness.

2. Well, the basics have been laid out: starts out in a typical modern-day setting, until something comes through (likely nothing too large, just a few enemies)... and then the planar boundaries shatter. I would expect we'd start out with normal d20 Modern-style classes, later exchanged for a 20-level gestalt build. From there, it's pretty much all up to the DM and players.

lorddrake
2011-12-02, 12:53 PM
1. Post an interest thread. Request applications. The best 4-8 applications get into the game, depending on how many players you want and the required party effectiveness.

There is one thing there I think it is not necessary in this kind of game. They don't have to be a party (if they don't want to).

See, what I thought was: "now I have super-ultra-ubber power. But funny things started happening all over the world. I may do something about it."

In my mind I pictured a sandbox exp. divided in phases, like this:

Phase 1
(DM gives a explanation) - You have powers. A little group of other people as well. One potential weird stuff happened in City X of the world.
(Players say what their characters do) Player 1 - I will go apply influence in my country politics.
Player 2 - I'll go safaring on the positive plane.
Player 3 - I'll go check City X. And exploit it to benefit me.
Player 4 - I'll go stop what is happening in City X.

Phase 2
(DM explains) - And adds other things happening over the world. The players won't be able to see and interfere with everything.

It was mostly what I was thinking...
But I haven't matured the thought yet...

Rubik
2011-12-02, 01:02 PM
I DM in the RL for a long time (over ten years). I have some experience, but not powergame experience.I'm pretty sure it's going to be powergamed out the wazoo if you allow the stuff people have put in this thread. Hell, my build alone could probably solo stuff WAY above CR 20. I think the challenge would come more from trying to prevent collateral damage and heading off incursions before they destroy everything (and at least some smaller-scale stuff, like the way the Superman Comics have always done with saving Lois Lane).

So basically, don't try to kill the characters. Find ways to challenge them such that they'll have to use their brains and abilities to prevent OTHER people from getting killed.

(And the rules I do not know I may research easily)Easy enough.

1- How many players are going to be? Who wants to play?Me, for one, and I'm sure you'll have more people than you can handle. This would best be done with multiple DMs handling smaller groups.

2- What would you expect in a game like this?I'd expect a sandboxy game, where some things start to happen on a certain timeline, and everything changes as we go along to reflect our actions. Sure, we're the most powerful players on our side (by a wiiiide margin), but that doesn't mean we're alone in the universe, or even the only effective players. Modern weaponry and technology means that even standard-issue military and police forces should be able to take down high-level creatures that aren't prepared for them. A lucky shotgun blast to the face could take out a balor if the ammo is blessed and made from iron pellets. Really, it's accounting for all those magical abilities that will cause the most problems for those fighting against them.

Which is basically where we'd come in.

I may use a system (not game system) one GM used in a forum once (I was one of the players).Not sure if we could make that work. I mean, yes, we're insanely powerful, so the vast majority of the things we try against non-epic foes would more than likely succeed, but it's still good to have the DM's input on things.

I'd have to see how it works, really.

lorddrake
2011-12-02, 01:08 PM
Yes, Rubik. Most of what you said was what I thought that would be difficult to handle.

That is decidedly why I was not sure to DM this.

Tyndmyr
2011-12-02, 01:12 PM
I'm pretty sure it's going to be powergamed out the wazoo if you allow the stuff people have put in this thread. Hell, my build alone could probably solo stuff WAY above CR 20. I think the challenge would come more from trying to prevent collateral damage and heading off incursions before they destroy everything (and at least some smaller-scale stuff, like the way the Superman Comics have always done with saving Lois Lane).

So basically, don't try to kill the characters. Find ways to challenge them such that they'll have to use their brains and abilities to prevent OTHER people from getting killed.

Precisely. My char is such that being killed is not a real threat unless, say, I'm facing multiple elder evils(which, incidentally, are a great option in a campaign this powerful). But it doesn't take much to threaten the things I care about.

I'd expect a sandboxy game, where some things start to happen on a certain timeline, and everything changes as we go along to reflect our actions. Sure, we're the most powerful players on our side (by a wiiiide margin), but that doesn't mean we're alone in the universe, or even the only effective players. Modern weaponry and technology means that even standard-issue military and police forces should be able to take down high-level creatures that aren't prepared for them. A lucky shotgun blast to the face could take out a balor if the ammo is blessed and made from iron pellets. Really, it's accounting for all those magical abilities that will cause the most problems for those fighting against them.

That seems...unlikely. It would hurt the balor, but by D20 stats, you'd want a lot more firepower than a shotty.

I'm ok with that, mind you. Tanks and planes are pretty awesome, and the visual of this is fairly badass.

Not sure if we could make that work. I mean, yes, we're insanely powerful, so the vast majority of the things we try against non-epic foes would more than likely succeed, but it's still good to have the DM's input on things.

I'd have to see how it works, really.

This, pretty much. I do feel that a goodly number of posts can be done this way, such as creating demiplanes, other essentially no-risk activities...DM input is unnecessary for those unless there's some kind of weird complication. But for stuff like, say, pvp, if it happens, or any sort of notable combat, really, a DM would want to at least keep tabs on.

lorddrake
2011-12-02, 01:17 PM
This, pretty much. I do feel that a goodly number of posts can be done this way, such as creating demiplanes, other essentially no-risk activities...DM input is unnecessary for those unless there's some kind of weird complication. But for stuff like, say, pvp, if it happens, or any sort of notable combat, really, a DM would want to at least keep tabs on.

Of course, I agree with this.

EDIT: Now I pictured in my mind two players fighting like kids: "I hit you" "you did not" "You died" "No, you died!"... and so on

Taelas
2011-12-02, 01:27 PM
I don't contest that a nuke could probably kill a balor. But, if the balor is aware of what nukes are....avoidance becomes relatively easy. They can teleport at will, remember.

It only becomes easy if they know when it's going to strike. :smalltongue:

lorddrake
2011-12-02, 01:28 PM
It only becomes easy if they know when it's going to strike. :smalltongue:

I immagined a rogue 20 pushing the button yelling: "Sneak nuke attack"

TheFallenSon
2011-12-02, 02:24 PM
Factotum 20// barbarian 10 chameleon 10 sounds fun to me.

Incanur
2011-12-02, 04:08 PM

Apart from giant explosions, there's not much that can outright kill a balor judging by D20 system rules for a modern weapons. Only monumental stupidity or misfortune would have the demon wandering into a blast powerful enough to destroy it.

Now, if the balor acted the way fluff versions typically do and if we took a generous/reasonable view of military hardware, then the poor demon wouldn't last a day.

legomaster00156
2011-12-02, 05:03 PM
I immagined a rogue 20 pushing the button yelling: "Sneak nuke attack"
I'm sure that the 10d6 extra damage will totally be noticable within the thousands of damage the nuke alone will deal. :smalltongue:

BobVosh
2011-12-02, 06:31 PM
I would be interested in playing, although I will have to brush up on actual gestalt rules. I have never made a gestalt above 6th level, so my sample build above was thrown together at work AFB in about 10 minutes of google-fu.

Rubik
2011-12-02, 07:26 PM
One thing to remember, though, mostly everyone in First World Countries is, by the standards of D&D, incredibly skill-oriented. The guy working at the Kwik-E-Mart down the street has a high school education, and has a much wider knowledge base than any commoner.

SirFredgar
2011-12-02, 09:30 PM
Just popped in from another thread, but.

Dread Necromancer 18 / SandShaper 1 / Dread Witch 1 // Dread Witch 4 / Cloistered Cleric 6 / Walker in the Waste 10

This is a build I came up with recently for an upcomming game, and the more I look at it the more I'd like to have these powers. I mean... immortality in the form of Dry Lich, 9th level Cleric magic, 9th level Dread necromancer magaic and a small army of Undead. If I got to be spelled stiched as well, that would be amazing. I'd make sure to pick up Animate Dread warrior and Animate dead so I don't have to worry about spending Mats or XP. Oh, and once I awakened them, load up the Skeleton Army with AK47s... sure they (theoretically) get a -4 to their attacks, but when you only have to hit a 10 to target a 10 foot square with autofire.... just have them all be really trigger happy.

I'd prolly live out in some god-awful desert, travelling out only to grab victims... I mean... potential minions. Most people couldn't stand within 60feat of me without wanting to get the hell away as fast as possible, and anyone else I should be able to make cower like a baby by simply walking up to them. With the right skills (intimidate/diplomacy) and heaps of Cha, I should be able to get anything I want from the poor mortals of earth.... otherwise I can take it by force.

With the right application of feats I would be a 1 man natural disaster.

Calanon
2011-12-02, 09:40 PM
I would be interested in playing, although I will have to brush up on actual gestalt rules. I have never made a gestalt above 6th level, so my sample build above was thrown together at work AFB in about 10 minutes of google-fu.

I would be interested in play as well... Althought i will confess my knowedge of Gestalt is... limited at best :smallredface:

SirFredgar
2011-12-02, 11:14 PM
I would be interested in play as well... Althought i will confess my knowedge of Gestalt is... limited at best :smallredface:

If this was a PbP I'd almost be down to GM (it's a lot of commitment that has to be undertaken seriously) because the last game I GMed was on par with this. It was actually set in post-apocolyptic earth that had come full circle to the midevilesque period DnD is set in. The game was a Gestalt, no fractional BaB/Saves. It got downright cheezy though, and I worked with it cause I actually inspired some of their cheeze. We had a Planar Shepard with the Fire Plane, giving the party Infinite Wishes and whatever magic items they wanted. We had an Artificer/Incantatrix that used Maximized Greater Simulactrum (they can gain XP) to basically make an army of herself 4 levels lower. They broke the economy, and nearly caused their kingdom to go bankrupt.... but I must admit that was partially due to not seeing the erratta on Seibry's Mark of Making (Truecreation with no XP costs... yes, please, 20 cu feet of platinum will ruin any economy pretty quickly. Considering 50 dnd coins weigh 1 pound). So I can handle a lot of cheeze, giving I am told up front about it and can do the proper research on it first.

Later levels of that game started incorporating modern technology, which start to get pretty interesting untill the game stopped abruptly due to a sour player. It might be interesting to see how it works in reverse.

But Like I said, that's a big undertaking, but my interest is piqued. Forgive me if I missed a post, but has any one else come forward about running it?