PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder - Carrion Crown ICC

Pages : [1] 2

Xeno55
2012-01-07, 03:49 PM
Post your finalized character and background on this thread.

Pick a number from 1 to 48, this will generate a Harrow Card for you, as described in the intro to the AP.

The four of you arrive in town just in time for the burial of the good professor. His daughter Kendra, deep in grief, indicates that she would prefer to speak with you after the burial. She asks each of you, excepting the gnome, to act as pallbearers. You may choose front right or left, or back right or left as your position in carrying the coffin. An elderly servant takes one of the rear positions.

Jaqurgen the Dolt (http://www.dndsheets.net/view.php?id=29316) Gnome Sorcerer
Raigard (http://www.dndsheets.net/view.php?id=17171) Elf Alchemist
Farro (http://www.dndsheets.net/view.php?id=29322) Half Elf Rogue
Anastasiya (http://www.dndsheets.net/view.php?id=29330) Changeling Cleric

Xeno55
2012-01-07, 04:02 PM
Kendra Lorrimor

Although he was getting on in years, Petros’s death was
rather sudden and his daughter Kendra, a 25- year-old
woman who has lived in Ravengro for nearly 15 years
(having moved here with her family as a child from
Lepidstadt after her father retired from teaching),
is still in mourning. Her eyes are red and puffy
and she dresses in dark, conservative clothes. Trim
and attractive, Kendra greets the PCs with a mixture
of curiosity, sadness, and relief—no one else has
come to pay their respects to her father, and “with
things the way they are in town these days,” very
few folks from Ravengro have come out for the
funeral as well. Kendra waves off questions for
now, promising the PCs that after her father
is buried and they return to her house, she’ll
answer any questions they have—both about
her father’s death and about his will.

Bhaakon
2012-01-07, 05:39 PM
Sheet and background
Farro (http://www.dndsheets.net/view.php?id=29322)

When asked about his past, Farro's usual response is a indecipherable hiss through scar-tightened lips. If the matter is pressed, the lucky suffer through a string of lisped invective, and the unfortunate a beating into unconsciousness. Needless to say, he is reticent to talk about his history, and particularly the source of the hand-shaped burn covering most of his face.

How Doctor Lorrimor get the story out of the Farro remains something of a mystery to those few who know the half-elf. Some speculate the involvement of much alcohol, a tremendous sum of money, or more lurid enticements. In truth, the Doctor offered only information.

Farro was one of the hundreds of parent-less urchins roaming the streets of Caliphas. Like most of the others, he ran in a gang, and struggled to find food and shelter in the bitter Ustlavan winter. It was in his twelfth such winter that he and the half dozen others in his clique, afraid to find shelter in the city because of certain legal misunderstandings (read: they were caught picking pockets and barely escaped) hit upon the idea of sheltering in one of the many old crypts a in the city cemetery.

The thing came during the night, a cloud of ash and flame creeping up from the deeper catacombs. Farro had fallen asleep during his watch and lay snoring beside the heavy bronze door to the depths. In an instant the thing had filtered through cracks and gaps in the wall and materialized before him. It locked its fiery hand around Farro's face and tossed him across the crypt like a ragdoll, setting his hair alight and branding him with the angry red scar that still mars the half-elf's features. Farro, of course, bolted the crypt, pausing only long enough to shut and bar the door against the creature, thereby dooming his friends.

Farro grew into a broken, angry man, shunning companionship, barely controlling his inner rage, blaming himself for his friends' death, and swearing to avenge them should he ever cross such a creature again. To that end he took jobs as an enforcer, and learned to carry an impressive fauchard that he hoped would compliment both his fighting style and frightening visage, keeping friend and foe alike beyond arm's reach.

Thus it was natural for Farro to jump at Doctor Lorrimor's offer to identify the creature and point out its weaknesses in exchange for the half-elf's tale. The doctor was good to his word, identifying the thing as a formidable cinder ghoul, the undead remnants of some poor soul burned to death (likely at the stake, the Doctor posited). Their correspondence continued, with Farro pressing for more information to give him an edge against the monstrosity, but none was forthcoming. The explanation for the Doctor's silence came in the form of a short letter, telling of the Lorrimor's death and asking for Farro to come to Ravengro.

Color and Harrow card
I'll take Dark Red.

harrow card: [roll0]

Farro remains silent aloof, completely unsure what to do at Lorrimor's funeral. His arrangement with the Doctor was business-like and formal; the half-elf had only even met the man in person once and certainly wasn't broken up about his passing. He silently takes the left rear position at the Doctor's coffin, just glad to be given something to do in the uncomfortable situation.

Drothmal
2012-01-07, 07:14 PM
Character
Raigard (http://www.dndsheets.net/view.php?id=17171)
Background
Raigard is the second son of House Maenelad, one of the most influential and powerful houses of the elven realm. As it had been the tradition for thousands of years with the second born, young Raigard was meant to study the arcane arts and become the next Archmage of the house. The child even showed an uncommon compatibility with magic, being favored by the stars with the magic power to conjure a cantrip of light at will.

The young elf, despite not being interested in magic, had resigned himself to his fate. But everything changed the day that Hazzufle, alchemist extraordinaire, came to the elven realm in search of rare chemicals that could only be found deep in the elven forests.

From the very first moment, the eccentric human's behavior and wonder at everything around him captivated the young elf, who soon after started spending all his time with the alchemist. To Raigard's surprise and Hazzufle's delight, the elf found the concepts behind alchemy intuitive and fascinating. The core premise of Alchemy, that simple science systematically applied could have equal or greater results than magic, completely changed Raigard's view of life, and thus, despite all his family's wishes and expectations, Raigard could not be convinced to become anything than an Alchemist.

Hoping that getting rid of the human that had infected his child with his strange pseudo science would mend Raigard's ways, Raigard's father arranged for Hazzufle's chemicals to be sabotaged. What no one expected was that the sabotage created a massive chain reaction that blew up not only Hazzufle, but also the whole inn in which he was staying. Raigard, who was right outside of the inn when it exploted, was permanently scarred, with burn marks showing in his face.

Despite all the elves blaming Hazzufle and his alchemy for the explosion, Raigard knew better. He confronted his father about the explosion, who admitted the guilt in a fit of rage. Heartbroken and betrayed, Raigard refused magical healing for his scars and exiled himself from the elven kingdom, deciding to live his life as an alchemist with the shorter lived races and their more open minds.

After leaving his homeland, Raigard began corresponding with a former colleague of Hazzufle, Professor Lorrimor, who continued mentoring the elven alchemist via a long exchange of letters. Upon hearing of Lorrimor's death, and remembering that Hazzufle had often spoken of investigating the lands of Ustalav, Raigard started his journey to pay his respects to the deceased professor

Speech

Worry not, for Raigard, Alchemist Extraordinaire, is here to help! We just want to talk to Laurel to understand better the diagnosis and prognosis of your disease. Also, we would like to find out the rate of dissemination of the disease, for it is paramount to making contagion projections and use that to determine if we can use the term epidemic to describe it.... well, I guess if the rate is higher than expected, we could be in front of a pandemic, but that would require an incubation period directly proportional to the distance to the nearest populations center, even though we should factor the populations sizes and access to other media of transportation Anyways, it is well documented in Lethor's compendium of diseases that an assertive scientific discussion has yielded new insight in treating possible epidemics of course, we should not get ahead of ourselfs on that account, but the point still stands with statistical relevance
Card
Since we got 6 already (my favorite number), I'll stick to the next Perfect Number (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perfect_number), so I'll take 28

Dressed in leathers and a simple blue tunic, a tall elf walks to the remaining rear position of the coffin. His short red hair, delicate build and deep green eyes would have made him quite good looking, if it weren't for some hideous burn marks in his face.

In an unusual behavior for Raigard, the alchemist had remained silent during the ceremony. Not many people looked for long at the elf since the "accident", but if anyone bothered to do so, they would have seen true grief in Rag's visage. Raigard still mourned Hazzufle, and the passing of the Professor, another human he had come to see as a mentor figure, had only poured salt on a still open wound

As he waits for the others to lift the Doctor to his final resting place, the elf begins muttering something to himself, but it is impossible to make out anything coherent out of his mumbling. His hand begins to reach for the book he always keeps tied to his side but stops halfway through the motion, as if realizing that it would not be correct to use the coffin as a writing table.

Xeno55
2012-01-07, 11:49 PM
#6 card "The Twin"

Crowns (Cha): You may spend a crown card to reroll any
one d20 roll you just made. You must take the results of the
second roll, even if it is worse.

True Neutral: You may gain a one-time
insight into the future as the spell
augury, using your character level as
your caster level. Meditating on the
particular action in question requires
10 minutes and does not expend
material components.

#28 "The Marriage"

Crowns (Cha): You may spend a crown card to reroll any
one d20 roll you just made. You must take the results of the
second roll, even if it is worse.

Lawful Neutral: You gain a +10 bonus on any
single Sense Motive check.

ji9zo
2012-01-08, 08:28 AM
Background

Born and raised in Ustalav among a group of traveling gnomes, Jaqurgen never really cared much for the general population's opinion for him or his kind. He was quite sheltered by his family (who originally came from the great tree-village of Omesta in the elf lands of Kyonin, and who now roamed Ustalav as "circus freaks") so he never really understood the prejudice towards non-humans in the country until he was older. Growing up he never really strayed far from his family caravan but when he began to near middle-age, and therefore began worrying about the Bleaching, he left and traveled Ustalav and beyond in search of adventure and excitement.

During his travels Jaqurgen's innate magical ability began to manifest itself over time. At first he believed it to be natural for all gnomes to have such natural skill with magic, but soon realized that there was something more than gnomish blood running through his veins. The gnome decided he would try and figure out exactly which bloodline he came from and so traveled to universities and other places of learning all across the Inner Sea region. Eventually he heard of the famed Professor Lorrimor and returned to Ustalav to seek him out.

Upon finding the Professor, Jaqurgen pleaded with him to help. Finally he accepted- although he made it clear that one day the favor would need to be repaid, and Jaq knew it wasn't going to be something easy. After a few weeks of tests Jaqurgen discovered that he had Djinni blood. This revelation helped the gnome develop his skills further, but since then the thought of being indebted to the Professor has troubled him. He later left Ustalav again and traveled for a few years until he learned of the Professor's death and his place in his will.

And I'll take #48 for my card and Darkorchid Darkorange for my color.

Jaqurgen feels quite out of place in his colorful, decorated clothing. He stands with his arms crossed, not really sure of what he should be doing since he can't help carry the coffin. He looks to be concentrating quite hard on something and remains silent for the most part.

Xeno55
2012-01-08, 09:13 AM
#48 "The Demon's lantern"

Keys (Dex): You can spend a keys card to take your turn
immediately. Treat this as a readied action, moving your
initiative to just before the currently acting creature. You
may only take a move or a standard action on this turn.

Chaotic Evil: You may instantly force any creature to
reroll a saving throw it has just made, taking the result of
the second roll, even if doing so means the check will fail.

Pezmerga
2012-01-08, 10:02 AM
Here is Ana. (http://www.dndsheets.net/view.php?id=29330)

Her backstory:

I am Anastasiya Pavlenko. I am from the capital of Caliphus in the kingdom known as Ustalav. My adopted parents, Boris and Irina Pavlenko, took me in as one of their own after finding me crying as a baby near the local market. They could not have children of their own, so they thought of me as a "blessing from Pharasma". Being mightily superstitious and religious they saw me as their chance to have a purpose in their lives, and gave me everything I could possibly need. My father is one of the leaders of the Caliphus Temple of Pharasma and my mother was the daughter of a local councilman named Nikolay Mironov.

My father raised me as any religious man would, hoping that I would too become a cleric in the church of Pharasma. I took to the teachings and began, much to my father's approval, to excel in my studys of Pharasma. I wasn't the brightest student, but something inside of me just felt connected to Pharasma.

One day on my 16th birthday, I had a strange urge to travel. To where I don't know. I told my parents and my father looked at me with great concern. He forbade me from going, and hurried off to the church saying he had matters to attend to. Being curious, and not able to resist the temptation of this..calling, I set out one night as quietly as possible. My journey took me to a remote location several days to the north. I saw three strange ugly creatures, resembling old mis-shapen women, who welcomed me with cackling glee. Terrified, I stood in shock as these strange creatures prepared some sort of ritual, all the while I was trying to think of ways to get away..

Luckily for me, my father came to know what I really was through the years, and was just trying to hide it from the other townsfolk. He knew they would cast judgement upon me, and tried to spare me this as much as possible. Because of this, He knew all too well where I was headed, and even with his forbiddence I would likely try to leave. He made a promise that he'd send me away to the other church leaders, if I were to be rescued.

Not long after I left, he brought four of the temple guards with him to find what he knew was a deadly hag coven. They managed to arrive in time to stop the ritual, defeating two of the hags and driving the third off. My father was wounded and one of the temple guards was slain. The journey back to town was met with disdain from all but my father, who had a silent solemn look on his face. Upon returning I slept in my bed one final time as I awoke to a tearful mother waking me for breakfast and helping me pack. Few words were spoken, but my father mentioned an old friend in the town of Ravengro named Professor Lorrimor.

I was sent to Ravengro to continue my studies, and Professor Lorrimor agreed to keep an eye on me, and he was certainly curious about what my father had told him. Which brings us to present day...

My Card and Color

Card = [roll0]
I'll go with Dark Orchid.

Also for the last spell of my Missionary trait, I will go with Sanctuary.

Xeno55
2012-01-08, 10:30 AM
#14 "The Carnival"

Stars (Wis): If you feel stuck at some point in the adventure,
you can spend a card of this suit and petition the GM for a
hint about what to do next. If the GM feels that there is no
information to be gained, the stars card is not spent.

Chaotic Neutral: You gain the effects
of rage, as the spell, lasting a duration of
1 round + an additional round for every
3 Hit Dice you possess above the first.

Xeno55
2012-01-08, 10:45 AM
Kendra guides Ana to the front, left handle on the coffin. She ignores the elf alchemist who she assumes is too grief stricken to act as a pallbearer. The party proceeds down the path into the Restlands.

As the procession reaches the halfway point along the
Dreamwake, rounding a corner onto a path called the
Eversleep, they’ll see that the way ahead is blocked by a
group of a dozen surly looking locals. One speaks:

“That’s far enough. We been talking, and we don’t want Lorrimor
buried in the Restlands. You can take him upriver and bury him
there if you want, but he ain’t goin’ in the ground here!”
Kendra is swift to respond, her sadness swiftly transforming into
anger. “What are you talking about?” she cries out. “I arranged it
with Father Grimburrow. He’s waiting for us! The grave’s already
been...”
“You don’t get it, woman. We won’t have a necromancer buried
in the same place as our kin. I suggest you move out while you still
can. Folks are pretty upset about this right now.”

The locals are armed with ax handles, clubs, and improvised farming implements. The are unarmored.

You may speak or take other actions. You may also wait and see how things develop. Two of you are of course holding the coffin.

ji9zo
2012-01-08, 11:23 AM
Jaqurgen moves up to the front of the procession and places his hands on his waist as he glares at the group of villagers, he appears to be furious but inside his mind is ticking away. Could he have been a Necromancer? He didn't SEEM like a Necromancer...

The gnome raises his index finger and points at the leading villager.

"What does it matter if he was a Necromancer? It's a bit late for him to start disturbing your dead 'kin' now anyway. Get out of the way and stop making a ridicule of this man's legacy."

He then returns his hand to his waist and throws Kendra an apologetic glance.

Xeno55
2012-01-08, 12:21 PM
Diplomacy roll:

[roll0]

Xeno55
2012-01-08, 12:24 PM
The mob hesitates. Possibly they are impressed or at least confused by his argument, or just struck by the novelty of a tiny person dressed in showy cloths daring to face them down. In any case there is time for the other three PCs to take an action if they wish.

Pezmerga
2012-01-08, 12:57 PM
Ana smiles at the gnomes words.
@Jaqurgen "Well that was certainly an effective way to disperse an angry mob. Color me impressed."

@Mob "I know it is very easy to persecute that which is different from ones self, but to deny a man his rightful place of rest? Pharasma would not be pleased by these actions. She is our judge, it is not our place to act in her stead."

Diplomacy if needed

[roll0]

Xeno55
2012-01-08, 01:49 PM
Several of the locals start to speak a once, then one says:

The Restlands is under the care of Pharasma, the outsider has the right of it.

Some members of the mob cast nasty and fearful glances at the party, and the group gradually disperses.

Kendra whispers: Ignorant fools

Father Grimburrow and a pair of gravediggers are
already waiting at the site of the professor’s burial—
as part of local tradition, they did not accompany the
pallbearers from the gate to the grave. Besides the PCs,
only a small handful of villagers are attending the
funeral procession. Old friends of Lorrimar, they too
have come to pay their respects. These NPCs consist of
Councilman Vashian Hearthmount, Councilman Gharen
Muricar, tavernkeeper Zokar Elkarid and his 13-yearold
son Pevrin, and Jominda Fallenbridge, Ravengro’s
apothecary.

No further
complications prevent the lowering of his coffin into the
open grave by the gravediggers. Father Grimburrow gives
a short sermon, then invites Kendra to say a few words
about her father. Kendra fights back tears and briefly
recounts a few of her father’s more courageous or self less
moments, thanking everyone once again for coming.
She then invites anyone else to share a few stories or
remembrances.

Should any of the PCs wish to speak they may also make a Diplomacy or Perform check, as their actions at this time are relevant to how they may be seen by local people. I will await each PCs decision to speak or remain silent.

Pezmerga
2012-01-08, 01:57 PM
Ana grasps her Symbol of Pharasma and says:
"Professor Lorrimar was a great man, and his thirst for knowledge unrivaled. In my time of knowing him, he always showed great compassion for others. I am sure Pharasma has shown him to his earned afterlife, and he is at peace now. Let us carry forth, this day foward, with that knowledge. Bless your soul Professor."

Diplomacy
[roll0]

Bhaakon
2012-01-08, 03:17 PM
His service as pallbearer concluded, Farro take a place at the rear of the small group and a makes a token effort to look grieved by the Doctor's passing, but lacks either the heartfelt sorrow or the social grace to make a speech.

ji9zo
2012-01-08, 04:00 PM
Jaqurgen remains silent throughout the ceremony, although still appears rather troubled. He stares blankly at the ground for the most part, but occasionally looks up at the others who are standing around.

Drothmal
2012-01-08, 10:51 PM
Sorry for not posting earlier! Did not think there would be this much action during the Sunday!

I'll use the color blue for Raigard

Lost in reflection (and calculations of different rates of decay for the coffin based on the composition of the resting soil), Raigard had not been paying attention when the villagers had tried to stop the procession. By the time the alchemist had returned to the real world, the gnome and the cleric had seem to have been able to talk them into desisting

Consternated by his inaction, the elf had decided to make ammends and, when given the chance to speak at the ceremony, he had stroded confidently to the pulpit, completely oblivious of his eccentric personality and his... rather undistinguished appearance

Though Professor Lorrimar is no longer in this world, his contributions to the scientific community shall make his name remembered for many generations to come, that is measured by human generations, which is the most appropriate standard due to the population size and the Professor being a human, but if we considered other races, my previous statement might not be very accurate

clearing his throat, the alchemist continues

Nonetheless, the Professor was a pioneer in many research fields, and his discoveries were at the very forefront of our current understanding of the world that surrounds us. In fact, it could be argued that he is among the most cited and cross reference author's of his time, though that does not take into account religious texts, since the more hierarchical structure of the churches leads to mandatory citations

Pulling himself back the to the present, Rag concludes

What I am trying to say is that, the Professor's work was most admirable and all of us that knew him were very fortunate to have done so

Content with himself, the elf goes back to his seat

[roll0]

Drothmal
2012-01-08, 11:00 PM
OoC chat (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12498279#post12498279)

Xeno55
2012-01-08, 11:09 PM
After the funeral is over and Kendra has said
her goodbyes to the other guests, she invites
the PCs back to her home (so recently
her father’s) for a drink and to hear
his last will and testament. The
Lorrimor residence is a modest
home with crowded bookshelves in every
room. The reading of the professor’s
will requires the presence of Councilman
Vashian Hearthmount (the closest thing Ravengro
has to a solicitor), and he has some other matters to
attend to after the funeral, so he doesn’t arrive for about
an hour.

Vashian arrives precisely on time, in any event. No
Sense Motive check is necessary to note that he doesn’t
completely approve of strangers being involved in local
matters, but he keeps his comments to himself, focusing
his involvement entirely on the reading of Petros’s will.
Kendra isn’t sure what’s contained in the will, since part of
its stipulation was that all of the PCs must be present for
its reading. Councilman Vashian produces a scroll case,
shows that the professor’s personal seal is unbroken, then
breaks the wax and opens the case. As he does, a small iron
key falls out of the tube, clattering noisily onto the table.
Undaunted by the key, the councilman begins to read,
eager to be done with the business and to get back home.

“I, Petros Lorrimor, being of sound mind, do hereby commit to this
parchment my last will and testament. Let it be known that, with
the exception of the specific details below, I leave my home and
personal belongings entire to my daughter Kendra. Use them or
sell them as you see fit, my child.
“Yet beyond the bequeathing of my personal effects, this
document must serve other needs. I have arranged for the reading
of this document to be delayed until all principals can be in
attendance, for I have more than mere inheritance to apportion. I
have two final favors to ask.
“To my old friends, I hate to impose upon you all, but there are
few others who are capable of appreciating the true significance of
what it is I have to ask. As some of you know, I have devoted many
of my studies to all manner of evil, that I might know the enemy and
inform those better positioned to stand against it. For knowledge
of one’s enemy is the surest path to victory over its plans.
“And so, over the course of my lifetime, I have seen fit to acquire
a significant collection of valuable but dangerous tomes, any one
of which in the wrong circumstances could have led to an awkward
legal situation. While the majority of these tomes remain safe under
lock and key at the Lepidstadt University, I fear that a few I have
borrowed remain in a trunk in my Ravengro home. While invaluable
for my work in life, in death, I would prefer not to burden my
daughter with the darker side of my profession, or worse still, the
danger of possessing these tomes herself. As such, I am entrusting
my chest of tomes to you, posthumously. I ask that you please deliver
the collection to my colleagues at the University of Lepidstadt, who
will put them to good use for the betterment of the cause.
“Yet before you leave for Lepidstadt, there is the matter of
another favor—please delay your journey one month and spend
that period of time here in Ravengro to ensure that my daughter is
safe and sound. She has no one to count on now that I am gone,
and if you would aid her in setting things in order for whatever she
desires over the course of this month, you would have my eternal
gratitude. From my savings, I have also willed to each of you a sum
of one hundred platinum coins. For safekeeping, I have left these
funds with Embreth Daramid, one of my most trusted friends in
Lepidstadt—she has been instructed to issue this payment upon
the safe delivery of the borrowed tomes no sooner than one month
after the date of the reading of this will.
“I, Petros Lorrimor, hereby sign this will in Ravengro on this
first day of Calistril, in the year 4711.”

Xeno55
2012-01-08, 11:13 PM
Once the will is read, Councilman Vashian looks to
Kendra, who thanks him and dismisses him. Putting on
a brave face, Kendra thanks the PCs again for coming,
and informs them that she’ll need at least a few weeks
to decide if she wants to sell her family home or remain
here in Ravengro—in the meantime, as stipulated by the
will, she asks the PCs to remain as well. She offers rooms
in her spacious house for the PCs, promising them free

The chest itself is a relatively small object of oak and
iron. Kendra, nervous about the contents, offers the key
to the PCs to give them the honor of opening the chest.
The key fits the lock perfectly, and within are several
old tomes and one relatively new one. The newest tome
sits on the top and bears the phrase “Read me now!”
scratched into the leather cover. This book is Petros
Lorrimor’s journal and is detailed in the next section.
The other tomes comprise the books of dangerous lore
mentioned in his will—three of these have notes tucked
into them indicating that they should be delivered
to one Montagnie Crowl, a professor of antiquities at
Lepidstadt University. The fourth, Manual of the Order
of the Palatine Eye, has a note indicating it should be
delivered to Embreth Daramid, a judge at the Lepidstadt
Courthouse (although the note asks for this delivery in
particular to be handled discreetly, and includes the
address of Embreth’s home so that the PCs can deliver it
there).

You are now free to ask questions, examine the books, or take whatever steps you think right. It is the late afternoon, and Kendra has a cook who is fixing you all dinner.

Drothmal
2012-01-09, 12:42 AM
The alchemist had immediately felt at home surrounded by this many books, and in no time he had his portable chemistry and alchemy lab assembled in what would be his room

This is a marvelous place! he tells to anyone who is interested to hear I bet that we can find some unique first editions and out of print books that the Professor used in many of his papers! Now, I wonder where he could have a copy of Lefarel's compendium on hydroponic species

With a gleam of childhood delight in his eyes, Raigard picks up the Professor's journal. Searching for a piece of paper from his many pockets (process which takes longer that one would think, since the elf keeps revealing more and more secret compartments hidden in his robes) and finding a -more or less- clear surface to write on, Rag opens the book and starts taking notes of any relevant information that might appear in the diary

Bhaakon
2012-01-09, 03:42 AM
"With the books and that mob, we must set a watch tonight. I'll go first." Farro says to the others as soon as Kendra is out of earshot.

Pezmerga
2012-01-09, 11:38 AM
Ana stands by waiting for her chance to see what the professor may have wrote in the journal.

"How did everyone know the professor? I know we haven't had much time to talk...but seeing how we will be doing this favor for the professor, it'd be nice to know each other a bit more. My name is Anastasiya Pavlenko. The Professor was a tutor and friend to me. He helped me tremendously get by here when I was otherwise all alone. I was sent to Ravengro by my father when the other people of Caliphus learned I wasn't human like them. I am not ashamed of who I am, but a lot of people are very judgemental so I try to pass as human as much as I can. Yet to me the only judgement that really matters is that of Pharasma. Still it makes the day to day easier if people aren't shooting stares at you..."

"As for that mob.."

DM

Knowledge Local check to see if I know anyone in the mob.
[roll0]

Xeno55
2012-01-09, 12:32 PM
Ana recognizes no one from the mob. She gathers from their cloths that they were a combination of local peasants and town layabouts. Their leader, inasmuch as they had one, was a middle aged man who carried himself as if he had once been a soldier.

ji9zo
2012-01-09, 12:42 PM
"The name's Jaqurgen, although most humans call me Jaq or something somewhat more abusive. I owed the Professor a favor from a while back, apparently it still applies."

The gnome calmly picks up the Manual of the Order of the Palatine Eye and begins slowly flicking through it.

"I'll go second for the watch, but did anyone hear what actually happened to the Professor?"

Jaqurgen looks up only briefly from the book to look for any sign of a response from the others.

Xeno55
2012-01-09, 12:43 PM
The professor's journal is mostly a dense and boring account of his days, what he ate, observations of the weather, etc. However you discover some entries that are circled in red ink.

Circled Entries in the Professor’s Journal

Ten Years Ago:

The Whispering Way is more than just a cabal of necromancers. I see that now. Undeath is their
fountain of youth. Uncovering their motivation does not place me at ease as I thought it might.
Their desire to be eternal simply makes them more dangerous.

Two Months Ago:

It is as I had feared. The Way is interested in something here in Ravengro. But what could it be?

One Month Ago:

Whatever the Way seeks, I am now convinced their goal is connected to Harrowstone. In retrospect, I suppose it all makes sense—the stories they tell about the ruins in town are certainly chilling enough. It may be time to investigate the ruins, but with everyone in town already being so worked up about them, I’d rather not let the others know about my curiosity—there’s plenty of folks hereabouts who already think I’m a demonologist or a witch or something. Ignorant fools.

Twenty Days Ago:

It is confirmed. The Way seems quite interested in something—no, strike that—someone who was held in Harrowstone. But who, specifically, is the Way after? I need a list of everyone who died the night of the fire. Everyone. The Temple of Pharasma must have such a list.

Eighteen Days Ago:

I see now just how ill prepared I was when I last set out for the Harrowstone. I am lucky
to have returned at all. The ghosts, if indeed they were ghosts (for I did not find it prudent to investigate further) prevented me from transcribing the strange symbols I found etched along the foundation—hopefully on my next visit I will be more prepared. Thankfully, the necessary tools to defend against spirits are already here in Ravengro. I know that the church of Pharasma used to store them in a false crypt in the Restlands at the intersection between Eversleep and the Black Path. I am not certain if the current clergy even know of what their predecessors have hidden down below. If my luck holds, I should be able to slip in and out with a few borrowed items.

Seventeen Days Ago:

Tomorrow evening I return to the prison. It is imperative the Way does not finish. My caution has already cost me too much time. I am not sure what will happen if I am too late, but if my theory is right, the entire town could be at risk. I don’t have time to update my will, so I’ll leave this in the chest where it’ll be sure to be found, should the worst come to pass.

Xeno55
2012-01-09, 12:54 PM
Manual of the Order of the Palatine Eye: The rich purple
cover contains a brass scarab set with a single eye in
its center. The book’s covers are rimmed in polished steel
and clasped with a small but intricate lock, the keyhole
of which appears to be for a key with a strange,
triangular shaft.

The book is locked shut.

Xeno55
2012-01-09, 01:00 PM
Kendra turns pale as Jaq asks the obvious question as to the passing of the professor.

Petro's body was found near the outer wall of the old Harrowstone prison, near the front gate, crushed by a fallen stone. I don't know why he was there. Everyone thinks it was the sort of thing that happens when exploring old ruins, in other words that it was an accident.

OOC: Kendra has not read the professor's journal, and it is up to the party how much or how little they would like her to know.

Pezmerga
2012-01-09, 01:18 PM
"Kendra, if you wish to stay you may, but I must inform you some of the things in this journal I am about to talk about may only bring you sorrow. Still, it was your father and you have a right to know."

Ana will give Kendra a chance to leave if she wishes before going on.

"This all sounds...fishy. This , "Whispering Way" sounds dangerous, and I don't think it's a stretch to imagine them as being involved in the Professor's demise. Also ghosts in harrowstone? That does not sound good at all, and I think it would be best if we could somehow deal with them. The professor mentions some tools that the local Temple of Pharasma has cached in a tomb, so maybe we should try and locate these tools and see if we can uncover anything. I am not of the local temple, but I feel as if it is my duty to remove any undead creatures from existence."

Knowledge local in regards to harrowstone. Not sure if history would be more appropriate, but maybe I have heard something in regards to what it is, and what happened with the fire the professor mentioned.
[roll0]

"The professor mentioned the Temple may know something about what happened in harrowstone. At least who died there. Maybe if we can find out what the whispering way is after, we can deal with it..."

Xeno55
2012-01-09, 01:34 PM
Kendra elects to stay in the room, while drying her tears with a lace handkerchief.

Ana seems to recall that Harrowstone is a ruined prison—
partially destroyed by a fire in 4661, fifty years ago, the building has
stood vacant ever since. The locals suspect that it’s
haunted, and don’t enjoy speaking of the place.

Kendra confirms this information, and adds that the warden died in the fire. There is a statue memorializing the warden near the river, he is a hero of sorts around here, although she does not know why.

She invites the more academically inclined among you to make free use of the professor's library. Perhaps there is more information about Harrowstone or the Whispering Way. Other potential research locations are the local Temple of Pharasma, the archives at the town hall, and the wizard's library at the Unfurling Scroll. However the townsfolk are so insular and prejudiced she fears that they may not cooperate with the party and allow access to these locations.

Drothmal
2012-01-09, 01:46 PM
While reading the journal, Raigard furiously scribbled notes in a page of the book he carries with him. He made sure to copy all the important names and places, making a big circle around the word "Whispering Way"

I'll definitely need to look that up the elf mumbles to himself

Once done with the tome, the alchemist looks up and answers about his identity, though anyone would have sworn he had not been paying attention as the people int he room introduced themselves

Ah yes, of course, introductions! I am Raigard Maenelad, alchemist extraordinare, at your service. Please do not hesitate to ask me about poisons, plants and general arcane knowledge I also have an engineering book I've been meaning to read, but then I got sidetracked by the latest entomology treaty. ehem

I had never met the Professor personally, but he had been a friend of my mentor and we had been corresponded for a while.

I agree with Anastasiya that is quite an intersting name, though would you mind if I call you Ana? it will save us some time. Oh, and you can all call me Rag if you wish, we should heed the Professor's advice and visit the local temple before we even get close to Harrowstone

Raigard looks around at the plethora of books with longing

But first it might be best if we look at what other information we can gather from the Professor's notes?

Bhaakon
2012-01-09, 06:28 PM
"Farro," spits out the half elf. "Lorrimor and I exchanged information of mutual interest. Now it looks like we have another arrangement,"

He get a glazed look in his eye as he thinks of the revelation in the journal, though if there were undead involved, and ones burned to death, maybe I ought to see this Harrowstone.

"I think I can see what you are thinking," he says, eying Ana, "I'll break into this false crypt tonight. I could use some extra arms, if there's something to be removed."

Pezmerga
2012-01-09, 10:25 PM
"Farro," spits out the half elf. "Lorrimor and I exchanged information of mutual interest. Now it looks like we have another arrangement,"

He get a glazed look in his eye as he thinks of the revelation in the journal, though if there were undead involved, and ones burned to death, maybe I ought to see this Harrowstone.

"I think I can see what you are thinking," he says, eying Ana, "I'll break into this false crypt tonight. I could use some extra arms, if there's something to be removed."

@Farro Ok, well we'd have to find it, but at least we know it's a tomb, so that narrows the search down to a graveyar. I'll go as well since it is a cache of the Temple of Pharasma. My knowledge might come in handy.

Xeno55
2012-01-09, 10:32 PM
OOC: I will await the decision of the other 2 PCs as to whether or not they wish to accompany the both of you to the false crypt. You may wish to consider a marching order for moving through the countryside in the dark, and for moving through buildings or corridors.

Pezmerga
2012-01-09, 10:38 PM
OOC: Ana has Darkvision so she can lead the way.

Drothmal
2012-01-10, 12:20 AM
The alchemist looks at the books once again and sights

I'll go as well he replies I'd like to catalogue anything that can be found in this grave. I think the Professor would have wanted his work to be completed as thoroughly as possible. Though it is entirely possible that the Professor already took anything of use, but still, we should try

OoC (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228254)

ji9zo
2012-01-10, 02:02 AM
"I suppose I'll stay here with the girl then. It'll give me some time to have a proper look at these books."

The gnome silently sets down the locked book and picks up another at random.

Bhaakon
2012-01-10, 03:06 AM
"Suit yourself," Farro mutters, then goes to check over his gear before dinner.

Xeno55
2012-01-10, 08:10 AM
Jaq may:

A) spend the evening reading, or

B) stay up all night and be fatigued the following day.

In either case may pick a focus for his research, or not pick a focus and just see what he can find.

Xeno55
2012-01-10, 08:23 AM
The 3 remaining members of the party find the mausoleum described in the professor's journal without problem. The night is dark and they do not appear to have been seen by anyone.

There is a lock on the door. Farro rolls for perception:

[roll0]

Farro begins to pick the lock and it falls apart in his hands. What he had failed to notice is that the lock had already been broken, possibly with acid, and then reassembled to give the sense that the crypt remained locked.

Xeno55
2012-01-10, 08:38 AM
The crypt itself is a freestanding granite
mausoleum, the roof of which is decorated with a pair of
leering gargoyle statues. A single stone door sits in the mausoleum’s south facade, the door you just opened.
Within, a flight of stone steps leads down into the
cold earth to a large crypt lined with empty niches—no
dead are interred here. There is a small entry room, stairs leading down and another small room with a single large sarcophagus on a slightly raised platform against the far wall. The floor is dusty, only a tiny bit of moonlight penetrates through small, barred windows. The rooms are roughly 30' x 30', the staircase is 10' long and 5' wide. The stonework is old, there are cracks in the walls on on the floor.

ji9zo
2012-01-10, 11:38 AM
Jaq begins by casting detect magic over all the books before sitting down to give the professor's journal a proper read. After that he'd move onto the books of dangerous lore which are marked to be delivered, assuming they aren't locked. He'd stay awake all night to keep watch over Kendra, just in case any of the villagers in the mob decide to make a nocturnal visit.

Xeno55
2012-01-10, 11:52 AM
None of the books detect magic. The professor's journal is overly detailed when it comes to minutiae, such as his meals and weather conditions, and frustratingly vague when it comes to Harrowstone prison or the Whispering Way.

The other three books are:

On Verified Madness: A jet-black book tied with a blood red ribbon.

Serving Your Hunger: A thin book with a faded brown leather cover.

The Umbral Leaves: A thick text with a faded very light brown cover.

Any or all are will open for your perusal.

ji9zo
2012-01-10, 12:10 PM
Not really liking the sound of the other two books, Jaq cracks open "The Umbral Leaves" and starts reading.

Xeno55
2012-01-10, 12:21 PM
This lexicon was a translation into Common of the unholy book of Zon-Kuthon. Here is a selection from early in the book:

"At the beginning of time, Zon-Kuthon was known as Dou-Bral, a good deity who shared the portfolio of beauty, love and the arts with his half-sister Shelyn. Dou-Bral abandoned Golarion for the dark places between the planes, though, and was tormented there and possessed by an alien being. Upon returning to reality, Dou-Bral as he had been known was gone, replaced with the twisted, malevolent soul known as Zon-Kuthon.

When Shelyn saw that her brother was forever changed, and not for the better, the two battled, her pleas and tears met with a violence foreign to the Dou-Bral she knew and loved. Shelyn finally wrested the golden glaive the two had shared a symbol of their power from her twisted brother's fingers, establishing an tenuous truce, held in place more by silence and avoidance than any desire to actually coexist.

Seeing the crimes Zon-Kuthon committed in Golarion, Abadar knew that he must be punished, and made a bargain with the evil god. Zon-Kuthon agreed to go into exile on the Plane of Shadow for as long as the sun hung in the sky in exchange for an item from the First Vault. This imprisonment was not meant to be over as soon as it was, though, and when the sun stopped shining upon Golarion during the Age of Darkness, Abadar honored his deal, giving Zon-Kuthon the first shadow, which The Midnight Lord has used to craft evil creatures from his realm of Xovaikain."

It doesn't seem terribly relevant to the current situation.

Drothmal
2012-01-10, 02:36 PM
As Rag and his new two companions descend into the crypt, the alchemist starts to feel uneasy

If you could wait a second well, technically more than a second, but you understand what I mean

The elf reaches into his backpack and brings out three vials

This one he says pointing to a lightly luminescent light blue liquid that he hands out to Farro is a healing potion. In case that we run into something nasty, we should all be ready to heal each other

Pulling a fizzling orange concoction and giving it to Ana, the alchemist continues
The first one will help you enhance your speed for a brief period of time. And yes, I know that chivalry is antiquated, but I still think it's a good idea to have the person that can talk to the gods be able to get the hell out if necessary

And this one he says showing a bright red viscous liquid that he offers to Farro should make one of your attacks infallible, though that is not a correct probability term

After handing those vials, Rag reaches for yet another potion and brings out a clear liquid

Now if you'll excuse me a second...

The alchemist begins to swiftly reach into his pockets, retrieving alchemical components and mixing them into the vial with amazing speed (even more so considering how long it took him to find a piece of paper)

The beverage finished, Raigard makes a toasting motion and then imbibes the potion

I am ready. he says as he reaches for a round object concealed in the hem of his sleeve

Actions
Offered potions of CLW and true strike (CL1) to Farro and a potion of expeditious retreat (CL1) to Ana
Prepared extract of Anticipate peril (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/a/anticipate-peril), gaining a +1 to initiative for 1 minute
Rag readies action to blast any moving enemy that may appear

Bhaakon
2012-01-10, 05:49 PM
Farro nods brusquely at the alchemists gifts, then sets to work looking for any footprints or other signs of passage on the dusty mausoleum floor.

Bhaakon
2012-01-10, 05:51 PM
forgot my perception roll to search

[roll0]

Xeno55
2012-01-10, 05:55 PM
Farro concludes that at least one person has entered and exited the crypt within the last month or so.

He is in front, so I will assume the formation follows if he advances.

Bhaakon
2012-01-10, 06:42 PM
"Looks like just the Doctor then," the mumbles to himself, then turns his attention to the sarcophagus. He looks it over, searching for a trap r signs that it's been opened recently.

perception again
[roll0]

edit: actually, that should be +5. Forgot the Keen Senses bonus (fixing my sheet now)

Xeno55
2012-01-10, 06:59 PM
There are no signs of a trap, it looks like it would be simple enough to slide the top aside and look within.

Bhaakon
2012-01-10, 07:21 PM
"Ready yourselves" he warns the others, and slides the sarcophagus open.

Xeno55
2012-01-10, 07:38 PM
The lid slides a couple of feet. It looks promising inside, Farro notes arrows, potion bottles, rods and other items. Less promising are the two giant centipedes slithering out of the cracks in the wall to Farro's left.

Perception rolls:

Farro[roll0]

Rag[roll1]

Ana[roll2]

Xeno55
2012-01-10, 07:43 PM
Ana fails to see the creatures in the gloom and misses this round.

Xeno55
2012-01-10, 07:52 PM
Initiative

Farro

[roll0]

Rag

[roll1]

Centipedes

[roll2]

Xeno55
2012-01-10, 07:54 PM
Rag has initiative. He sees the creatures racing towards flat footed Farro - still staring at the loot.

(I find it easier to post combat related OOC in IIC, they can be edited out later)

Drothmal
2012-01-10, 08:07 PM
Fantastic. I'll post accordingly

While the rogue was examining and opening the sarcophagus, Raigard had kept his right fist tightly clenched over the small round object that he had retrieved from his robe

Hearing the soft whisper of hundreds of feet tapping on stone, the alchemist had turned in time to see the advancing centipedes

Watch out! cries the elf to warn the others of the looming danger

Infusing the object with some of his magic (which Rag speculated was more the activation of the more volatile nitrous compounds through a small electric discharge), the alchemist throws the small bomb to the closest centipede

Actions
Standard: Throw bomb at closest centipede
[roll0] (vs touch. Including the +1 for Point blank shot)
[roll1] (+1 to damage for Point Blank Shot)
If the centepedes are adjacent to each other, the second centipede must make a Ref check vs DC 13 or take 4 damage)

If readied action still applies, Raigard will throw the readied bomb and then use his move action to retrieve a second bomb and also throw it (to the same target if it is still alive)
[roll2] (vs touch. Including the +1 for Point blank shot)
[roll3] (+1 to damage if point blank shot applies also to the bombs)

Status
HP=9/9
AC=16, FF=14, Touch=12
F= +2, R= +4, W= +0
Bombs= 3/4

Xeno55
2012-01-10, 08:25 PM
One centipede is blown into squishy segments. The remaining creature strikes at Farro:

[roll0]

Farro, suddenly aware of his peril, is missed. It is his chance to strike at the beast.

Bhaakon
2012-01-10, 09:25 PM
Having dodged the enormous vermin's bite by a hair's breadth, Farro wrenches his morning star free with both hands and brings it to bear.

free action to draw (thanks to trait), sdtandard to attack (use 2-hands for 1.5x Strength bonus to damage).

attack: [roll0]
damage: [roll1]

Xeno55
2012-01-10, 10:49 PM
"Splat" The centipede's head is crushed.

400xp, 100@. Jaq gets points because you tell him about the adventure, and if he generates points from research you will all also share.

You find a dozen silver arrows, four sun
rods, six flasks of holy water, 17 other arrows, five potions
labeled cure light wounds, two potions labeled lesser
restoration, four scrolls, and a thin darkwood case decorated
with an image of a scarab with a single eye glaring from
its back—the same design that appears on the cover of the
Manual of the Order of the Palatine Eye among the books in
the professor’s collection. The darkwood case contains
three objects of interest—a board
with a brass planchette, and four iron and glass vials
containing tiny, churning clouds of vapor. The vials sit
in velvet-lined indentations to the left of the spirit board
and planchette, along with six empty indentions.

A careful examination of the crypt reveals nothing of further interest.

Bhaakon
2012-01-10, 11:09 PM
Farro slides the lid back over the now-empty sarcophagus, and shoulders his share of the loot. If no one else has anything to do in the crypt, he re-seals the mausoleum, hoping that no one will look closely enough to spot the missing lock,and heads back to Lorrimor's house with the others.

Xeno55
2012-01-10, 11:13 PM
The party returns to the house. Kendra is asleep. Jaq is reading, apparently planning to make a night of it. It is around 11:00.

PCs may sleep until breakfast time, or pull an all nighter with Jaq.

Bhaakon
2012-01-10, 11:58 PM
"If he's staying up, I'll sleep," declares Farro, and heads off to his room.

Pezmerga
2012-01-11, 02:30 AM
ooc: Are these objects found in the darkwood case common items in the Pharsma church? Meaning could I make a knowledge religion check to identify them possibly? If not I will cast detect magic to see if any of the vials or the board are magical. I guess I will also check out the arrows too.

Xeno55
2012-01-11, 08:17 AM
ooc: Are these objects found in the darkwood case common items in the Pharsma church? Meaning could I make a knowledge religion check to identify them possibly? If not I will cast detect magic to see if any of the vials or the board are magical. I guess I will also check out the arrows too.

The items in the case are magical, the arrows are magical. The are not common items in the church, however you may still take a religion role:

[roll0]

You believe you have a spirit board which, used with the spirit planchette, are a means of communicating with spirits. Details, however are unclear.

Pezmerga
2012-01-11, 12:33 PM
Ana will attempt spellcraft checks to identify the items (since she casted detect magic.)

Spellcraft
Arrows: [roll0]
Spirit Board: [roll1]
Vials: [roll2]

Xeno55
2012-01-11, 12:42 PM
Sadly her spellcraft rolls are too low. Does Ana wish to stay awake through the night, or sleep until breakfast?

If you spend enough hours you could eventually "take 20" on spellcraft and likely identify the items. The time needed would depend on the power of the items.

Drothmal
2012-01-11, 02:14 PM
Hey! I finally got it! exclaims Raigard, looking up from the books he had been consulting

Only to be encountered by the realization that it was the next morning already and that all the others save Jaq had gone to bed a long time ago

Time flies when you are having fun, well, not fly, more like seems to move at a different velocity, I wonder if there is a relativity effect or just a different neuronal feedback?

The alchemist yawns, as usual, once the excitement of the research faded, all the lack of sleep started to catch up with him

Anyways, I've been able to ascertain that the potions are labeled correctly awfully nice and proper science, if you ask me and it'd seem that the planchette can be used to communicate with spirits as he speaks, the elf is writing down his words (and thoughts) so the others can read of his findings while he sleeps

Now, I think I'll catch up with some sleep he continues as he gets up from the pile of books he had been using as chair

Mumbling to himself about how exciting this whole buisness was turning up, Rag makes his way to his bed and soon falls asleep

Rag will sleep the amount necessary not to be fatigued the next day, whatever that amount is

Xeno55
2012-01-11, 02:26 PM
Jaq explores the library without any special focus. He discovers:

Harrowstone is a ruined prison—
partially destroyed by a fire in 4661, the building has
haunted, and don’t enjoy speaking of the place. The
town of Ravengro was originally built to support the
prison and house the guards and their families.

The Whispering Way is a sinister
organization of necromancers that has been active in the
Inner Sea region for thousands of years.

Originally, Harrowstone housed only
local criminals, but as the prison’s fame spread, other
counties and distant lands began paying to have more
dangerous criminals housed within this prison’s walls.
At the time of the great Harrowstone Fire, the number of
particularly violent or dangerous criminals imprisoned
within the dungeons below was at an all-time high.

Haunts are strange phenomenon that are difficult to repulse
and extremely difficult to destroy. They tend to be relatively
stationary. There is often a trick to destroying them, sometimes
relating to local history.

This brings Jaq to breakfast time, and heading for bed unless he
is willing to suffer from tiredness.

Pezmerga
2012-01-11, 02:30 PM
Ana will sleep until breakfast.

Xeno55
2012-01-11, 02:42 PM
Kendra and her cook have prepared a large breakfast for the party. Kendra only picks at the food. Jaq eats but although tired elects to stay awake. The other party members are sufficiently rested to continue without fatigue.

My basic assumption is that the party shares information, so everyone knows what Jaq found, etc. However how much Kendra knows is up to the party. I assume she knows little unless as individuals or party members you elect to fill her in.

Day 2

ji9zo
2012-01-11, 03:02 PM
Jaqurgen stays up the next day, ignoring his fatigue. At breakfast he tells the others everything he found out the night before. He doesn't appear very shocked by Rag's revelation, although to be fair he doesn't really know what he's talking about.

Pezmerga
2012-01-11, 03:26 PM
Ana will eat breakfast, and prepare her spells.

0 Detect Magic
0 Create Water
0 Read Magic
1 Cure Light Wounds (Domain)
1 Bless
1 Shield of Faith.

Also I will attempt new spellcraft checks using detect magic on the items. Hopefully today will be better. I will just take 20 if it doesn't take more than a few hours.

Xeno55
2012-01-11, 03:34 PM
Ana learns nothing new from the casting of detect magic. Likely she could figure out the characteristics of the items, but it would probably take hours and possibly all day.

Let me know if this is what you want to do.

Drothmal
2012-01-11, 04:12 PM
@Pezmerga: Rag identified the potions and the board (this was in the OoC), he didn't know what the gas vials were for and he didn't look at the arrows

@Xeno: Let me know when enough time has passed and Raigard is up again

Xeno55
2012-01-11, 04:15 PM
All 4 PCs have finished breakfast and are determining how they will proceed this beautiful Ravengro morning.

ji9zo
2012-01-11, 04:42 PM
Jaq yawns loudly as he sits back after finishing his breakfast.

"I could probably take a look at some of the things you found and haven't identified yet. If you want."

Drothmal
2012-01-11, 04:52 PM
Rag will share his findings and then go to bed

Pezmerga
2012-01-11, 06:19 PM
I am allowed a spellcraft check once a day to identify right? I think I will take my chances and try that on the arrows and vials so I don't waste all day on them.

Arrows [roll0]
Vials [roll1]

"I think that would be best Jaq. Apparently these magical properties are beyond the scope of my experience!"

ji9zo
2012-01-11, 06:34 PM
The gnome then tries his hand at identifying the arrows and the use / contents of the vials.

Arrows - [roll0]

Vials - [roll1]

If both types of arrows are magic then consider the arrows roll here to be for the silver ones and I'll add another one later.

Bhaakon
2012-01-11, 07:04 PM
"I wonder," Farro says idly between bite of food, "if there's something in this library about these objects."

Later, after eating, he tells the others that he plans to go into town, "someone might know more of Harrowstone. Some of the old guards or inmates might still be alive."

Xeno55
2012-01-11, 07:43 PM
Further attempts to ID items through detect magic are unsuccessful.

Rag heads off to sleep.

Farro will head into town as soon as we determine whether anyone will accompany him.

Pezmerga
2012-01-12, 12:03 PM
"I will accompany you into town Farro, let's see what we can find out."

ji9zo
2012-01-12, 12:13 PM
"I may as well go too, haven't seen too much of Ravengro yet and as long as the elf is looking after Kendra I have no reason to stay in."

Xeno55
2012-01-12, 12:31 PM
As you stroll into town you notice some of the locals out and about. They seem skittish, and avoid eye contact.

You discover:

Ravengro Forge, being worked by an elderly, female dwarf.

Jominda’s Apothecary, a small, well kept building.

Ravengro Town Hall, built in the classic small-town style.

Ravengro General Store

Ravengro Sheriff's Office & Jail

The Silk Purse, money lenders and pawn shop

The Outward Inn, as advertised it is an Inn

This accounts for about half of the town. You may explore further, or investigate any of these individual locations.

Bhaakon
2012-01-12, 05:51 PM
Looking over the signs and placards, Farro sighs, "no tavern? Maybe inn." We need something to loosen their lips. With that he heads for the inn, hoping to find a drinking establishment within.

Xeno55
2012-01-12, 06:02 PM
The door opens on steps going down into a half basement. It is indeed a tavern, in back is a staircase likely leading to rooms upstairs. There are a half dozen locals talking, drinking, and betting on a game of darts. The conversation gradually comes to a stop as they become aware of the half-elf's presence. After a brief but uncomfortable silence the female bartender asks Farro, and any who follow him in, what they will be ordering.

Pezmerga
2012-01-12, 10:00 PM
"I don't normally drink, but I'll have a red wine if you have some available."

@Farro and Jaq "Hmm...so where do we start? I'm not exactly the detective type so I am relying on you two."

Pezmerga
2012-01-12, 10:18 PM
"I don't normally drink, but I'll have a red wine if you have some available."

@Farro and Jaq "Hmm...so where do we start? I'm not exactly the detective type so I am relying on you two."

Xeno55
2012-01-13, 12:31 AM
Diplomacy [roll0]

Welcome to the Outward Inn. Of course I'll pour you all a glass of our best.

Muted conversation begins again between the locals. A gravely voice asks:

Who's buying the next round?

Pezmerga
2012-01-13, 10:11 PM
"Thanks!"

Ana will look to see whom spoke..

"I suppose I can? To whom do I owe the honor?"

Xeno55
2012-01-13, 11:04 PM
Why stranger that would be me, Jackie Bertram, at your service. And a bit strange you are, with each eye a different color. But if you are buying it would be impolite to make a point of it, would it not? Anyway you made a wise choice coming to the Outward Inn. The competition, the Laughing Demon Tavern, is known for it's watered ale and corpse stew.

The group laughs - in a manner not unfriendly, but not exactly friendly either.

The female bartender asks:

So what is it that brings you outsiders to town? Your visit is big news, you know, so little happens here in Ravengro. It can't just be the old professor's funeral, or you would have left by now.

You may role play lines of dialogue, you may also just state that you attempt to befriend the locals, buy more drinks, and see what rumors you find.

Pezmerga
2012-01-14, 01:27 AM
@Jackie "Well met Jackie, I am Anastasiya, but you can call me Ana."

@Bartender "Another glass of wine for our new friend Jackie when you can please"

@Whomever takes interest "Well I have been here for a while, just studying under the professor. I've been so busy with my studies though I have not ever had a chance to come to see the social establishments of Ravengro. I really need to work on my social skills though I must admit, as I am a bit of a recluse. As for my friends here, I shall let them speak of their own history."

Xeno55
2012-01-14, 07:31 AM
The locals draw you into discussion - and into spending more gold. Ana spends four gp, and is drawn into 2 hours of discussion. If the other 2 PCs wish to make a statement the party may or may not gain more information.

The locals claim that:

Old Harrowstone Prison is haunted.

The food at the Laughing Demon isn’t all fun and
games—and it’s no coincidence that Zokar serves
more corpse chowder after unpopular merchants
“leave town,” never to be seen again. If Zokar
invites you into the Demon’s back room for a
complimentary taste of that evening’s chowder,
watch out!

Jominda Fallenbridge does more than brew
potions—she brews drugs and poisons as well
and sells them through agents in other towns.
Why else would the sheriff be so interested in
her business? She runs the town apothecary.

The business establishments in Ravengro include The Silk Purse moneylenders and pawnshop, the Ravengro Forge, the Ravengro General Store, and the Unfurling Scroll - a small magic shop and wizard's school.

Pezmerga
2012-01-14, 05:24 PM
@ Jaq and Farro "Well this Laughing Demon sounds plain awful...I wonder if any of those rumors have any truth to them."

ji9zo
2012-01-14, 05:45 PM
Jaq nods.

"Mysterious indeed."

The gnome looks to the bartender and Jackie.

"If this man is known to do such things why hasn't anyone done anything to stop him? Surely the town sheriff should be more concerned by such disappearances than an apothecary selling unmentionable substances on the side."

Diplomacy roll if needed.
[roll0]

Bhaakon
2012-01-14, 10:19 PM
Farro smiles at the mention of 'corpse chowder,' instantly deciding to check the place out. "Bah, just small town nonsense," he mutters at the to his companions, "we should go there,the proprietor of the local public house might have some information."

Xeno55
2012-01-14, 10:28 PM
The Bartender:

The Sheriff is in on it, don't you see? He takes the victims property, and the Laughing Demon gets the meat.

The group laughs again.

Jackie:

Or perhaps he is buying off the Sheriff with free meals.

The group laughs louder, except the Bartender who gives Jackie a dirty look.

Bartender:

But enough about that, tell us more about your travels. A strange and colorful group such as your must have many a tail to tell.

ji9zo
2012-01-15, 06:45 AM
Jaq chuckles awkwardly himself.

Are they joking? They must be joking.

When asked about his "travels", Jaq relaxes slightly.

"I'm from the Circus of Constant Fluorescence myself. I'm not sure it's passed through Ravengro before but I like to think it's quite well known. The name's Jaq."

Xeno55
2012-01-15, 12:45 PM
The townsfolk have never heard of the circus, and are fascinated by whatever tales you tell.

You sense that you may have modified the party's reputation in town slightly in your favor.

Pezmerga
2012-01-16, 01:27 PM
"You say that the Old Harrowstone is haunted? What happened there?"

Xeno55
2012-01-16, 02:06 PM
"You say that the Old Harrowstone is haunted? What happened there?"

They all died in an 'orrible fire, they did, every last one, guards an convicts an the warden an even 'is beautiful wife. No one knows why she was even there.

Opinions differ, and this was fifty years ago, but apparently there was a riot, somehow a fire was started, the prisoners - including some very dangerous evil types - were on the verge of escaping, until the warden sacrificed himself and the remaining guards by trapping all inside through triggering some kind of deadfall, trapping everyone deep inside the prison.

A ruins where such a tragedy occurred is a natural site to be haunted. But stories about such haunts are not well defined or well supported - it seems no one has actually entered the prison grounds for many years. The locals argue as to whether it is actually currently haunted, there is a complete lack of consensus.

Drothmal
2012-01-16, 05:30 PM
*Yawn*

Raigard wakes up and comes down the stairs, still mumbling about his last night findings. About fifteen minutes into his explanations, he realizes that everyone else has left...

Oh, oh, well

The alchemist will try to rendezvous with the other three visitors, asking Kendra for the new companion's whereabouts

ji9zo
2012-01-16, 06:07 PM
"From what I gather Harrowstone was holding some particularly... Nasty individuals at the time of the fire. Anyone that we might have heard of? I'm sure there must be tales of specific, somewhat more dangerous figures from the prison's past."

Xeno55
2012-01-16, 06:10 PM
Just as the locals begin begin yelling at each other, unable to agree as to whether or not Harrowstone is haunted, Raigard appears - pushing open the door and descending down the stairs.

A gravely voice asks:

Who's buying the next round?

Xeno55
2012-01-16, 06:12 PM
Jackie:

Sure, the prison always held the worst criminals of Ustalev. Most were executed soon after arrival. But they is all dead now, ain't they. And not remembered or mourned.

Drothmal
2012-01-16, 07:59 PM
Raigard's head starts moving side to side rapidly after hearing the voice. Evidently, the elf was confused if the question was addressed to him. Not seeing any other volunteers, the alchemist just shrugs

I can buy the next round, Rag declares amiably as he walks towards the bar and the people he knows though I would appreciate if the question had been more specific, since round is also a shape and it could be used as an euphemism for a round object, hence indicating that there is a round object to be purchased. Nonetheless...

Raigard just catches up with the conversation so far. After hearing all rumors, he becomes quite interested in visiting the apothecary. Still, before the group leaves, the alchemist asks

Why did so few people show up to the Professor's funeral? Statistically speaking, the social contract in a town of this size would have brought at least twice the attendance...

Xeno55
2012-01-16, 08:05 PM
Jackie:

Don't get us wrong, I always said he wasn't a bad chap, but he wasn't really one of us, was he? He was an outsider, only lived here ten or fifteen years, mostly kept to hisself. He had an interest, or so some folks said,...but it doesn't do to speak ill of the dead now does it mates?

Jackie knocks back another flagon of ale.

ji9zo
2012-01-17, 05:46 PM
"Well now we're all here, I was thinking we should probably check out the temple of Pharasma that the professor mentioned. Maybe if we can find out who was at the prison it'll help us find out what he was looking for there, and he may have even told the clerics there what he was doing."

Drothmal
2012-01-17, 06:15 PM
I think that is an excellent suggestion agrees the elf before adding in a tone that tries too hard not to draw attention, having the opposite effect though probably we should not mention about our nightly escapades.

Pezmerga
2012-01-17, 06:29 PM
That isn't a bad idea. I would like to see the temple as well. I haven't had the nerve to go yet, with me being an outsider. Plus it would be the first temple I went to since...well lets just say it has been awhile.

Bhaakon
2012-01-17, 07:35 PM
Having nothing to say for or against the plan, Farro shrugs and follows the others to the temple.

Xeno55
2012-01-17, 09:54 PM
The party walks to the Temple.

This temple is devoted to Pharasma, the Lady of Graves.
Ravengro’s only religious structure, the temple is also the
town’s most elaborate building. Its eastern facade displays
an intricate stained-glass mural depicting a stern Pharasma
judging Count Andachi, one of Tamrivena’s most infamous
previous rulers. Vauran Grimburrow is officially in charge
of the temple, but the day-to-day tending of the flock and
maintenance of the temple and the Restlands is performed by a group of younger acolytes.

A young acolyte, little more than a boy, but with the officious manner of a born bureaucrat, greets the party at the entrance to the temple.

What brings you outsiders to the most holy temple of Pharasma?

he asks, making the sign of the spiral with one finger.

Pezmerga
2012-01-18, 12:20 AM
Ana returns his gesture. Then looks at him and says in a serious, but friendly tone.
Hello, I am Anastasiya Pavlenklo. Worshipper, and Cleric of Pharasma, Lady of the Graves. I hail from Caliphus, but have been here in town awhile studying. We are hoping to find out more about what happened at Harrowstone. It has been spoken that it may be haunted, and I find this an offense to our Lady. I am not sure if it is the truth, but my personal convictions would lead me to investigate nonetheless. My colleagues here are helping me research this matter, and we would appreciate if we could access your records on who was held there, and who died in the fire. I have heard some nasty individuals were involved in what happened there.

Diplomacy

[roll0]

Xeno55
2012-01-18, 12:34 AM
The acolyte hesitates and then says:

Welcome home sister. I will bring you to see Father Grimburrow. And also, I suppose, your friends.

Father Grimburrow meets the party in his office. It is simple of furnishings, and undecorated except for the spiral symbol of his god.

He seems uncomfortable but greets you warmly.

Welcome home, daughter. The peace of Pharasma be with you. My acolyte said something about lists. Please tell me all about it.

Pezmerga
2012-01-18, 12:42 AM
Ana politely nods and smiles.

Thank you Father. My friends and I are investigating Harrowstone. We were wanting to see if you had any records of whom might have perished there in the accident all those years ago. Also if you had any other records regarding the place, that would also be a tremendous help.

It may just be rumors, but people speak of the place being haunted. As a child of Pharasma's faith, I find this to be an abhorance to our Lady. I know it can be foolish to act on every rumor one might hear, but I have been here for some time now and wish to see into it. Perhaps if it isn't true we can quell the rumors and bring a sigh of relief to the people. However, if it is true, as a cleric of Pharasma, I feel it is my duty to deal with it according to Pharasma's wishes Father.

Pezmerga
2012-01-18, 12:44 AM
Argh lol 60 second rule messed my roll up.

Pezmerga
2012-01-18, 12:46 AM
Ok Here it goes!
Diplomacy

[roll0]

Well....That's that lol

Xeno55
2012-01-18, 12:55 AM
Grimburrow:

I am sure it is nothing but rumors, the stories of superstitious peasants. Still if you wish to research within the Temple Library you have permission to do so. No doubt the names of the prisoners who died in the fire are there, if you look for long enough. All I ask is that you keep the results of your researches to yourself, and avoid giving people in the town reason to fear. Some already think Lorrimor was a necromancer - I wouldn't want the locals thinking that of you.

The first diplomacy die roll is the important one, additional die rolls only modify the results to a very limited extent.

Pezmerga
2012-01-18, 01:14 AM
Of course Father, your wishes are mine as well. We thank you kindly and I will see to it the privilege granted is not abused to hurt the name of the Temple.

Xeno55
2012-01-18, 05:48 AM
Site has been very slow as of last post, hopefully better now.

If more than one party member researches than one is primary and the others aid. Research must be based on a knowledge area, such as religion or local. Research may be around a specific question, such as the names of the prisoners, or may be general for whatever can be found. A take 20 on research is possible but may use up many hours.

Very well then, let me show you all to the library. My acolyte Exabrus will remain to assist you.

Drothmal
2012-01-18, 12:50 PM
As the alchemist sees the temple's library, his eyes once again show that glint of happiness and thirst for knowledge that had been seen before at the professor's house

Well, this trip is turning into a full scale research endeavour! I wounder if we could publish our findings later... and if we combine it with the Professor's notes, we might even have a chance of a higher impact journal!

Clearing his throat, Rag addresses the rest of the group

I think we should divide into two groups, one researching the names of the prisoners, the other trying to see if any useful information about haunts and Harrowstone can be obtained from the temple. What do you think?

Raigard has Knowledge nature and arcana. I think that may apply for general info about harrowstone, but if this is not correct or we decide to just concentrate on the names, then Rag will just do the aid another action

I think we should take 20

@Xeno: When you said the site has been slow, you mean the website or our posting? If the later, I apologize, I'll try to post a bit more often (I got a bit out of the loop while Rag was sleeping)

Pezmerga
2012-01-18, 01:09 PM
Ana will want to check and see if her religion has any helpful information on ghosts and undead... It's not as if Ana is an avid undead hunter afterall! Also, the Whispering way might be something I can look up. I am not sure if Local or Religion would be good enough, but they seem to be some sort of cult based on the professors journal entries.
Of course I will also help look into harrowstone, who was held there, and died there if they have records on that and I finish the other research first for some reason.

"Good idea Raigard. I will see what I can scrounge up!"

Also, I agree, taking 20 is probably the best idea. Ana has Local (+6) and Religion (+4) as her trained knowledges.

ji9zo
2012-01-18, 02:45 PM
All I've got to work with is Arcana which is +4. If we're taking 20 then I suppose I'll focus on anything magic-related to do with the prison and / or the Whispering Way.

Xeno55
2012-01-18, 04:46 PM
@Xeno: When you said the site has been slow, you mean the website or our posting? If the later, I apologize, I'll try to post a bit more often (I got a bit out of the loop while Rag was sleeping)

I meant Giant in the Playground was being real slow. I would rate this group average at rate of posting. The agreement is a minimum of once every 24 hours, I haven't checked but I think we are all exceeding that rate. The topic is open for discussion if anyone so wishes.

The party makes use of the library for the rest of the day and all of the following day.

Pezmerga
2012-01-18, 04:55 PM
I try to post often, but I also don't want to leave the others out of the loop so I try to also give them a chance. :)
I am fine with the current pace though.

Xeno55
2012-01-18, 05:03 PM
Collectively you discover:

(50 XP): Harrowstone is a ruined prison—
partially destroyed by a fire in 4661, the building has
haunted, and don’t enjoy speaking of the place.

(100 XP): Harrowstone was built in 4594. Ravengro
was founded at the same time as a place where guards and
their families could live and that would produce food and
other supplies used by the prison. The fire that killed all
of the prisoners and most of the guards destroyed a large
portion of the prison’s underground eastern wing, but
left most of the stone structure above relatively intact.
The prison’s warden perished in the fire, along with his
wife, although no one knows why she was in the prison
when the fire occurred. A statue commemorating the
warden and the guards who lost their lives was built in
the months after the tragedy—that statue still stands on
the riverbank just outside of town.

(200 XP): Most of the hardened criminals sent
to Harrowstone spent only a few months imprisoned, for
it was here that most of Ustalav’s executions during that
era were carried out. The fire that caused the tragedy was,
in fact, a blessing in disguise, for the prisoners had rioted
and gained control of the prison’s dungeons immediately
prior to the conf lagration. It was only through the selfsacrifice
of Warden Hawkran and 23 of his guards that
the prisoners were prevented from escaping—the guards
gave their lives to save the town of Ravengro.

(50 XP): The Whispering Way is a sinister
organization of necromancers that has been active in the
Inner Sea region for thousands of years.

(100 XP): Agents of the Whispering Way often
seek alliances with undead creatures, or are themselves
undead. The Whispering Way’s most notorious member
was Tar-Baphon, the Whispering Tyrant, although the
society itself has existed much longer than even that
mighty necromancer.

(100 XP): Originally, Harrowstone housed only
local criminals, but as the prison’s fame spread, other
counties and distant lands began paying to have more
dangerous criminals housed within this prison’s walls.
At the time of the great Harrowstone Fire, the number of
particularly violent or dangerous criminals imprisoned
within the dungeons below was at an all-time high.

(200 XP): The five most notorious prisoners
in Harrowstone at the time of the great fire were Father
Charlatan, the Lopper, the Mosswater Marauder, the
Piper of Illlmarsh, and the Splatter Man.

Haunts: The distinction between a trap and an undead creature blurs when you introduce a haunt—a hazardous region created by unquiet spirits that react violently to the presence of the living. The exact conditions that cause a haunt to manifest vary from case to case—but haunts always arise from a source of terrific mental or physical anguish endured by living, tormented creatures. A single, source of suffering can create multiple haunts, or multiple sources could consolidate into a single haunt. The relative power of the source has little bearing on the strength of the resulting haunt—it's the magnitude of the suffering or despair that created the haunt that decides its power. Often, undead inhabit regions infested with haunts—it's even possible for a person who dies to rise as a ghost (or other undead) and trigger the creation of numerous haunts. A haunt infuses a specific area, and often multiple haunted areas exist within a single structure. The classic haunted house isn't a single haunt, but usually a dozen or more haunted areas spread throughout the structure.

Although haunts function like traps, they are difficult to detect since they cannot be easily observed until the round in which they manifest.

A haunt can infuse a maximum area with a 5-foot radius per point of CR possessed by the haunt, but the actual area is usually limited by the size of the room in which the haunt is located.

On the surprise round in which a haunt manifests, positive energy applied to the haunt (via channeled energy, cure spells, and the like) can damage the haunt's hit points (a haunt never gains a Will save to lessen the damage done by such effects, and attacks that require a successful attack roll to work must strike AC 10 in order to affect the haunt and not merely the physical structure it inhabits). Unless the haunt has an unusual weakness, no other form of attack can reduce its hit points. If the haunt is reduced to 0 hit points by positive energy, it is neutralized.

A haunt can have virtually any effect identical to an existing spell effect, but often with different—and distinctly more frightening or unnerving—sensory or physical features than that spell effect normally has. (A haunt that has an effect not identical to an existing spell is certainly possible, but this requires designing a new spell effect.) A haunt might cause a room to explode into flames (duplicating fireball or fire storm), infuse a chamber with fear (duplicating cause fear, scare, or fear), or try to frighten a target to death (duplicating phantasmal killer or slay living).

A neutralized haunt is not destroyed, and can manifest again after a period of time—to destroy a haunt, a specific action must be taken in the region to end the effect forever (such as burning a haunted house to the ground or burying the bones of the slaves who died on the site to create the haunt). This specific act is different for every haunt (although a number of nearby haunts often share the same destruction act).

Some haunts are persistent, and their immediate effects continue beyond the surprise round into actual full rounds. Persistent haunts continue to trigger their haunt effects once per round on their initiative rank until destroyed or they no longer have a target.

Your successful research results in an award of 200xp each.

Xeno55
2012-01-18, 05:13 PM
You awaken to a bright, new day, free to proceed as you like.

Day 5

Bhaakon
2012-01-18, 05:51 PM
Over breakfast, Farro bluntly airs his frustration, "the research has raised more questions than answers, it's time to visit Harrowstone itself."

Drothmal
2012-01-19, 02:04 PM
I agree says the elf while nodding we need some empirical data to compare against our results though, if we are dealing with the supernatural, I wonder if it still counts and empiricism, since they are by definition extrasensorial creatures

Unless anyone objects, the alchemist will finish his breakfast, prepare his extracts for the task ahead of the party and will be ready to leave in half an hour

ji9zo
2012-01-19, 02:10 PM
"Sounds good to me. Lets hope it isn't actually haunted though..."

Jaq finishes breakfast and also prepares to leave.

Xeno55
2012-01-19, 02:52 PM
As breakfast is finished there is a knocking on the door. It is the town sheriff, 3 deputies, and a small mob of townsfolk:

Hello Miss Kendra, Strangers. I don't suppose you know anything about what happened at the Warden's memorial? Anyway, you don't mind us taking a look around here, do you?

Kendra, who has answered the door, is flustered.

But why? What do you mean? What about the Warden's statue?

The sheriff answers:

It has been desecrated, splashed with blood, and painted with a large "V" symbol.

Kendra hesitates, unsure how to respond.

Pezmerga
2012-01-19, 03:44 PM
Ana will listen to what the town police have to say about the matter.
A large V...in blood? I wonder if it is humanoid blood? she thinks to herself.

ji9zo
2012-01-19, 03:48 PM
Jaq approaches the group at the door.

"And what makes you think we were involved? We haven't been anywhere near any statues of Wardens."

Xeno55
2012-01-19, 05:39 PM
Sheriff, addressing Jaq:

Now look here, halfling, you are not from around here so you wouldn't understand. The warden is a hero to us all, he saved the town at the sacrifice of his life. Desecrating the statue is not something any local would do. I suggest you stand aside while we take a look around.

Drothmal
2012-01-19, 06:35 PM
Do you have any witnesses that locate us near the scene? I mean, all of you are constantly going about on how this area is haunted and spirits are constantly showing up, so I'm not following your logic when you assume that a strange event is necessarily connected to us...

Besides, isn't it insensitive to start turning upside down the home of a someone that just lost her only relative? If you have any questions from us, please ask away, but could you do it without disturbing and I mean that as a psychological term our hostess

Xeno55
2012-01-19, 06:44 PM
Sheriff:

Enough talk.

He begins to divide up the villagers as to where they should search.

You may attempt diplomacy or other social skills, or take other steps, otherwise the search will begin.

ji9zo
2012-01-19, 07:13 PM
Jaq's face turns a dark shade of red.

"Halfling!!? Alright. I think you should leave. You can question us outside if you like but you shan't step foot inside this house.

Not sure what the penalty for trying to intimidate someone larger than yourself is but if you could add it onto his roll that would be great:

Intimidate - [roll0]

Pezmerga
2012-01-19, 08:31 PM
"Please, there is nothing to find here. We have been in the temple of Pharasma for the past couple of days studying, so we have an alibi if that helps. I hate to see you gentlemen waste your time investigating here.."

Diplomacy
[roll0]

Drothmal
2012-01-19, 09:46 PM
Realizing that reasoning with the mob would prove futile, Raigard steps out of the way and lets the sheriff search the premises

Xeno55
2012-01-19, 10:18 PM
The Sheriff and townsfolk spend the morning searching the house and grounds. The Sheriff personally looks over Rag's equipment, shakes his head and moves on. Whatever they are looking for they apparently do not find. The Sheriff apologizes to Kendra and prepares to leave.

The party may use this morning time in some way, but they are watched by a deputy and asked not to leave the area should they attempt to do so. Or the party may continue on after lunch.

Drothmal
2012-01-19, 10:36 PM
While the Sheriff looks at Raigard's equipment, the alchemist stands next to him and tries to volunteer what each potion and extract does (completely oblivious to the circumstances, of course)

After the main search group leaves, Rag will approach the deputy

What was it that everyone was looking for? Maybe we could be of assistance well, that is if we were allowed to leave. And do you have any ideas of what could the "V" signify?

Not giving the man a chance to respond to the second question inf full, the elf begins to volunteer suggestions

Victory? vim? vengeance? volatile? vector? victim? villan? visage? vanity? voice? volition? vigilance? virtue?

After hearing whatever the deputy has to respond, Rag will try to return to the professor's library, where he will look for descriptions of local haunts and any theories of how to suppress them

Xeno55
2012-01-19, 10:50 PM
The deputy says they were searching for the source of the blood that was used on the statue. He has no idea what the V could mean.

You could try a quick search in the library looking for haunts using knowledge religion, arcana, or local.

Drothmal
2012-01-19, 10:53 PM
I'll take Knowledge Arcana for 400$

Rag decides to look over what other information the professor had gathered on haunts

[roll0]

Xeno55
2012-01-19, 10:56 PM
Rag finds a vague reference describing a haunt as a cross between an undead creature and a trap.

Bhaakon
2012-01-20, 09:15 AM
"Eh, you think it might be a haunt? But why now, and nowhere near Harrowstone?" Farro responds skeptically to Rag's research. "We all saw how these people feel about outsiders; probably some drunk yokel trying to get us tossed out of town."

Drothmal
2012-01-20, 12:43 PM
Maybe so. responds Raigard pensive If you wish to go to Harrowstone after we are allowed to leave I will go with you. I was just thinking that we should look into this statue, even only to clear our names

Pezmerga
2012-01-20, 03:10 PM
"I think looking into this matter would be wise. Should we go look for clues regarding the warden's statue?"

Xeno55
2012-01-20, 06:16 PM
The party has learned by now that it is convenient if they wish to visit the statue (a five minute walk) on the way to checking out Harrowstone (a ten minute walk). Both are to the south. I will assume that at least some of the party members head out towards the statue.

Harrowstone Memorial

Other than the looming ruins of Harrowstone on
a nearby hill, Ravengro’s most distinctive
landmark is a 25-foot-tall, moss-covered
stone statue that overlooks the river. The
statue depicts a proud, muscular human
man dressed in leathers and wielding
a truncheon—a depiction of Warden
Hawkran. A total of 25 names—the
guards who died in the fire of 4661, as
well as the warden’s wife, Vesorianna—
are chiseled into the statue’s stone base.

The memorial has apparently been splashed
with red blood. A small group of villagers is engaged
in cleaning the statue. Several of them look suspiciously
at the PCs, but no one says a word.

Drothmal
2012-01-20, 06:42 PM
On the way to the statue, Rag had continued his litany of words that start with V

...vain, vale, vase, vast, veer, veil, vein, vent, verb, very, vacant, vacate, vacuum, valets, valise, valley, valor, valued, values, vandal, vanish, vanity, vapors, varied, vassal...

Upon reaching the statue and seeing the inscription, the alchemist exclaims

Vesorianna!

Turning to his companions, the elf elaborates Do you think that the V is related to the dead warden's wife?

Seeing the local villagers cleaning the statue, Raigard approaches them to offer help

Nice to meet you all! My name is Raigard Maenelad, alchemist extraordinaire. I would like to offer my services in the attempts to clean this statue. Does anyone happen to know what type or rock is this made of? Depending on the type of substrate, different types of chemicals with different polarities and pHs might be most adequate for example, if we are dealing with alabaster, a mixture of distilled water, ethanol and non-ionic organic compounds might be most suited. I happen to carry most supplies that might need for this endeavor, and me and my companions would be happy to help all of you

Rag will use craft(alchemy) to figure out what would be best to clean the statue. If he can take 10, he'll do so for a total of 19. If a roll is required
[roll0]

Xeno55
2012-01-20, 07:04 PM
The villagers seem unfriendly at best. Rag, after examining his collection of solvents, moves forward to clean the statue - completely failing to note the townfolks growing fear and hostility. A couple of burly youths look like they are prepared to seize him. But then they note how cleanly the red comes off, down to the deepest recesses. The crowd falls back and Rag quickly and easily finishes the cleanup. There is silence and then a small round of applause.

It seems that Rag has, in a small way, helped the party's reputation in Ravengro.

Drothmal
2012-01-20, 08:00 PM
Still looking at the statue, the elf hears applause behind him.

Turning to realize that it was directed at him, the alchemist makes a sweeping bow

Thank you! Thank you! If anyone wants, I could offer a small seminar on how to remove stains from different surfaces though we would need to look for appropriate textbooks, and the most current papers, and then we'd need a chalkboard...

In an unusual moment of lucidity, Rag realizes that his ramblings are not interesting anyone

But this might not be the best time continues Raigard apologetically. In a quick reverse of mood, he ends his speech with a sunny disposition
Now, if you excuse us, we were thinking of visiting Harrowstone. Have an excellent day!

Xeno55
2012-01-20, 08:36 PM
An old woman curtseys and speaks:

Good strangers, it is none of our business what you do and where you go, but I would advise against visiting Harrowstone, for as everyone knows -- the ruins are dangerous, haunted even -- and they already killed your friend the professor.

The villagers, looking fearful again, head back towards the town.

ji9zo
2012-01-21, 08:42 AM
Jaq looks worriedly at the others.

"They might be right you know. From what I gathered the professor knew how to handle himself, and he was no fool. It might be dangerous for us to go to the prison as unprepared as we are."

Pezmerga
2012-01-21, 02:29 PM
"Perhaps we should try and find out more about the prisoners that were held there? They had some nasty sounding names... Would any of them have had any necromantic powers or something maybe?"

Bhaakon
2012-01-21, 08:33 PM
"Maybe he knew how to handle himself, but he only had two eyes. Just keep a look out and be ready to run if its too dangerous for you," growls Farro.

Drothmal
2012-01-21, 08:40 PM
I agree with Farro chimes in Raigard we are already here, and we need more information to know what is going on

After thinking for a bit, the alchemist suggest a solution

How about this? We only make it to the site and first look around the building. After we've done that, we can decide if we want to proceed or more research is needed.

ji9zo
2012-01-22, 09:13 AM
"Alright, alright. You make a fair point.

The gnome quietly follows the others to the prison.

Xeno55
2012-01-22, 09:44 AM
The party travels to the Harrowstone Prison ruins.

Harrowstone is located on a barren hill south of the city of
Ravengro, the stark, sagging roof of its central structure
visible through a large gap in the surrounding wall. A
partially overgrown track leads from the southern edge of
town, winding around the base of the hill and then back
up along its southern slope to the prison itself.

Prison Grounds: Harrowstone’s grounds are contained
within a crumbling stone wall, the eastern portion of which
has fallen away into a huge sinkhole that formed when the
extensive eastern wing of the prison dungeon collapsed
after the dreadful fire of 4661.

A sagging wood and metal gate set between a pair of stone
guard towers once barred entrance into Harrowstone, but the
gates now hang negligently open, creaking softly in what wind
touches the ruined bars. The stone wall that surrounds most of
the prison grounds is covered with creeping ivy, and the blocks
beneath that growth are eroded.

Guard Towers: An old stone tower, its wooden roof collapsed and its crumbling walls thick with ivy, extends a further ten feet above the twenty foot-high wall.

Looking through the gate, halfway to the main prison building, is a small brick manor house overgrown with thick sheets of gray-green ivy. The roof sags ominously, and the front door hangs askew.

Bhaakon
2012-01-22, 10:23 AM
"They found Lorrimor smashed flat by to the gate," says Farro as he scans for the exact spot, "silvers to dumplings it wasn't no spirit what loosened the rock that killed him. Bears an inspection, I wager."

Drothmal
2012-01-22, 08:36 PM
Though I will not take your wager, I mean, you never specified the contents of the dumplings, so if they were gold filled dumplings, it would be a very risky bet I agree that further inspection is in order says Rag as he pulls out yet another piece of paper to start taking notes on the gate's components, the material composition and the weights supported by each section

If possible, take 20 in perception to examine the gate thoroughly

Xeno55
2012-01-23, 11:13 PM
There is nothing unusual about the gate. There is a depressed area with some old bloodstains, likely where the professor died.

The party may wish to have a standard marching order for dangerous areas like the old prison. If someone is on point I will assume the others follow, unless you wish me to handle it differently.

Pezmerga
2012-01-24, 06:27 PM
"Well then, shall we enter gentlemen? I can see in the dark, but I imagine you guys have some means to see as well right?"

Bhaakon
2012-01-24, 07:22 PM
"Yes, I'll go first," responds Farro.

I believe is traditional for the corpse... er, rogue to lead the way in these situations

Xeno55
2012-01-24, 07:35 PM
I will assume Farro leads and the others follow, unless there is a post otherwise. Farro my proceed forward if he wishes.

Drothmal
2012-01-24, 07:39 PM
Does anyone have access to a magic source or light? asks Rag If not, we could use one of the sunrods we picked up from the graveyard

Rag will try to go third or fourth in the formation

Bhaakon
2012-01-24, 08:55 PM
Farro picks his way through the gates and across the courtyard, aiming for the brick manor. Once there, he gives the place a once-over to looks for traps or any signs of life (or undeath) before entering.

perception [roll0]

Xeno55
2012-01-24, 08:59 PM
The place looks a little shaky but no sign of any traps. Inside is a foyer, a living room, some broken stairs going up, and a broken door which seems to lead to a study. The windows are broken and the home has suffered from exposure to the elements over many years.

Drothmal
2012-01-24, 09:07 PM
Anna or Jaq, are you able to detect if there is magic present in the area? asks Rag as he looks around for objects that might prove interesting

Xeno55
2012-01-24, 09:10 PM
Rag notices some small bottles in the study, possibly ink bottles, maybe something more interesting....

Drothmal
2012-01-24, 09:39 PM
We all knew that this was going to happen

Oh! exclaims the alchemist looking at the bottles I wonder what those are. I am glad I brought my kit. I guess the first thing to do would be to check the pH of any unknown substances, from there I could try to do some elemental analysis...

Raigard boldly (or, to be more precise, oblivious to danger) approaches the bottles and begins to examine them

Xeno55
2012-01-24, 09:52 PM
As we all also knew something like this would happen.

Whoever once lived here liked different colored inks. Bottles are scattered around, on and under a large desk, look there's another one by a rotten bookshelf - got the bottle but the bookshelf is falling, it is so rotted away it is not dangerous, but it was holding a support beam which now falls to one side creating a collapse of the ceiling. Fortunately the intrepid alchemist is partly protected by the desk, still rather sturdy, and takes only 4 points of damage from a falling ceiling beam. Dust rises into the air as Rag extricates himself from the mess.

Drothmal
2012-01-24, 10:03 PM
Once he stops coughing from the dust, the elf exclaims

That was a first. Unless we count the time I dropped the scrolls on top of the Master Librarian, but the density of the paper is different enough to make this a separate case, I believe

Examining his wounds, the alchemist realizes that he's suffered some rather colorful bruises. He decides against using one of his potions to heal himself. The day was still young and that extract could be more useful later...

Once the check up is done, Rag turns to the more interesting part of this event and makes inventory of the colorful inks he has acquired.

Pezmerga
2012-01-24, 10:34 PM
Raigard! Are you ok? I can see to your wounds if needed.

Also on Drothmal's request, Ana casts detect magic on the desk area.

Xeno55
2012-01-24, 10:34 PM
Rag finds Blue, Black, and 8 other colors of your choice, mostly dried up but with your expertise revivable. All very small quantities.

No magic on the desk area. Ana notices a dusty nameplate, knocked on the floor by the ceiling collapse: Warden Hawkran.

Drothmal
2012-01-24, 10:43 PM
Raigard! Are you ok? I can see to your wounds if needed.

Raigard looks rather touched at the cleric's concern

Eh.. I'm oka... I mean thank you... I mean it's just a couple bruises and I would not want you to waste your strength on me. I usually stay on the back. I guess it depends if we continue exploring, but I think I should be okay...

Thank you the elf repeats, clearing his throat

Basically, I think we should save those heals for a bit later, just in case.

And I'm declaring one of the colors to be bright fuchsia. Damn right. :smalltongue:

Pezmerga
2012-01-25, 12:54 AM
"Ok then! Just making sure."
Ana peers at the nameplate...

"Hmm that nameplate.. Warden Hawkran."

Xeno55
2012-01-25, 07:23 AM
There is a creaking sound from above the study, a couple of small pieces of plaster fall to the desk.

Drothmal
2012-01-25, 12:09 PM
What was that? whispers the alchemist We should investigate, but the stairs are broken...

ji9zo
2012-01-25, 01:20 PM
"There must be some way up, perhaps up the outside wall or something similar.

Jaq goes to investigate what remains of the stairs, lighting one of his torches.

Xeno55
2012-01-25, 02:59 PM
The stairs look unsafe, but with a high enough climb skill check someone could conceivably make it upstairs. A good climber might be able to make it up the outside wall to a second story window.

Drothmal
2012-01-25, 03:25 PM
Looking at the possibilities, Raigard scratches his head

I'm not very good at climbingI knew I should have copied that formula Is anyone good at it?

Bhaakon
2012-01-26, 04:00 PM
Struggling to stiffle his mirth at the Alchemist's bumbling excitment/near death experience, Farro volunteers, "heh, er, yeah, I'll see what I can do."

climb: [roll0]

Xeno55
2012-01-26, 09:01 PM
Farro heads up the stairs with caution, then with greater ease. He turns to declare the stairs far safer then they look at which point they collapse in a pile of beams, boards and splinters. Farro takes 3 points of damage.

Drothmal
2012-01-26, 09:40 PM
Farro! the alchemist rushes to the rogue's side Are you okay? I mean besides having fallen, which of course would hurt, but I am asking if anything is broken and if you can move

With the stairs gone, Rag starts to scan for any object that tall enough that, if positions where the stairs used to be and climbed on top, could help reach the upper floor

Rag is trying to find something we could use to help the climb up. For example, if the desk or a bookshelf can be lifted and repositioned so it's possible to reach the upper floor, Rag will prepare an extract of Ant Haul, tripling his carrying capacity and hopefully being able to move it to facilitate the exploration

Xeno55
2012-01-26, 10:10 PM
Drothmal uses 2 bookshelves, the desk and a chair to create a workable structure equivalent to a staircase. While he works there is a creaking and groaning sound from above, a crack appears in the ceiling, and some plaster falls to the floor.

It looks like an easy climb check to the second floor.

Drothmal
2012-01-27, 12:22 AM
Shall we? asks the elf, sounding more exited than worried about finding out the source of the noises

Unless someone else volunteers, Rag will try climbing his improvised ladder

[roll0]

Xeno55
2012-01-27, 07:29 AM
Rag makes it to the second floor - barely. This area must have once been the warden's bedroom. He hears a groaning, creaking sound, and sees one of the structural beams holding up the roof start to move. Being a mathematical prodigy, he begins to make some hasty calculations and concludes that the second floor is about to collapse, and that the entire roof is 87.7% likely to follow within two or three rounds. At this point the entire second floor collapses.

Everyone takes damage: Rag 8 hp, Farro 1 hp, Ana 2hp, Jaq 6 hp.

Rag is back on the first floor, and is unconscious and bleeding. Everyone else may take actions.

Drothmal
2012-01-27, 10:41 AM
sorry everyone :smalleek:

Pezmerga
2012-01-27, 04:06 PM
Ana will channel Positive energy.
[roll0]

""Everyone ok now?"

Pezmerga
2012-01-27, 04:08 PM
"Hmm I guess I will give it another go!"
Channel Positive Energy
[roll0]

If needed she will do again (if I roll less than 3 on the first)
[roll1]

Drothmal
2012-01-27, 04:12 PM
As the positive energy waves heal his wounds, Rag comes back to consciousness abruptly, almost jumping to his feet

The ceiling! We need to get out or here!! the alchemist cries. Though his comment does not sound coherent, whoever hears him can sense the urgency in the elf's warning

Xeno55
2012-01-27, 04:49 PM
All party members who desire to do so exit the building safely. The roof collapses, there is little doubt it would have at least knocked out anyone who stayed behind, and likely killed a character or three. In fact the party exits with but one round to spare.

The party may take actions as desired.

Drothmal
2012-01-27, 05:21 PM
I'm sorry apologizes Rag I should have realized that the structure was unstable. I should have designed some support from the bookshelves and maybe we would have had time to investigate properly.... or maybe we should have tried adding some sort of epoxyde from above?

After a bit more of mumbling, the alchemist finishes his apologies

We should see if there is anything that can be salvaged. Ana, even though I refused before, could I ask you for some healing?

Rag is at 3/p hp right now

Afterwards, Raigard will start sifting through the debris

Xeno55
2012-01-27, 05:55 PM
There is almost nothing of value. Careful searching uncovers a silver dagger, an iron key, and 2 gold pieces.

Pezmerga
2012-01-27, 05:56 PM
"Certainly!" Ana says, liking to feel needed.
Ana chants a Pharasma healing rite, and places her hand on Raigard, using her domain CLW on him.
[roll0]

Drothmal
2012-01-27, 06:29 PM
With one or to audible cracks, Ana's spell completely heals Raigard, not leaving a single bruise

That was amazing! the elf exclaims If you have time later, would you like to take a look at my notes? I know that divine power functions differently, but maybe I could get an idea or two from you on how to make my healing extracts more efficient

After retrieving as much as possible from the debris, the alchemist asks to the rest of the group?

What now? Do we want to return to the prof.. Kendra's house or should we venture into Harrowstone itself? Though it would be dangerous, there is an interesting postulation that no one not in the demolition business has seen more than six collapses in a day, and this would be a great chance to test it!

Bhaakon
2012-01-27, 06:50 PM
"No point in half measures," grumbles Farro, as he dusts himself off and leads the way to the prison proper.

Xeno55
2012-01-27, 06:58 PM
A two-story stone building looms in the center of the prison
grounds. Ivy and moss cling tenaciously to the walls, while
above the wooden shingles of the roof are often missing
entirely, exposing the wooden rafters of the upper structure
to the sky. Here and there, leering stone gargoyles perch on
the eaves, once functioning as drainspouts and decorations but
now seeming almost to serve a more ominous role of sentinels.
Many of these stone decorations have crumbled away and lie
in ruined piles on the soggy ground below. Windows in the
building’s facade are narrow and blocked by grills of rusty iron
bars. Stone columns support a slumping wooden balcony over
the building’s wooden front doors, both of which hang askew
and reveal dark glimpses of chambers within.

In addition it appears that there is a second level balcony on both the left and right sides of the building, and there is a pond visible to the left side of the building. The outer wall has in parts collapsed into the water to the left.

Drothmal
2012-01-27, 07:21 PM
I'd like to take a sample of the water's pond. Based on the pH and the local microorganisms and insects, i might be able to gather more information on the environment that we might need later

Unless someone stops him, Rag will approach the pond and collect a sample of the water in one of the many empty vials he carries. Running a few simple chemical tests, the alchemist will try to learn more about the pool and the area

Attempt at Knowledge nature. If possible, take 10 (for a total of 17). If a roll is needed
[roll0]

Pezmerga
2012-01-27, 10:28 PM
@Raigard "I'd be glad to help you in your studies sometime. I guess for now we should follow Farro though and check out Harrowstone...
Ana follows Farro and the others...

Xeno55
2012-01-27, 10:30 PM
The obvious entrance are the front doors, but the party could investigate the balconies or the pond. Farro is in the lead and may enter the front doors or not as he deems best.

Or someone else could temporarily take the lead.

Bhaakon
2012-01-28, 03:24 AM
Seeing Rag bent over the pond to collect samples, Farro briefly considers shoving the over-curious chatterbox into the water. The urge passes, and he instead examines the main door of the prison for any hidden dangers or structural weaknesses before shoving it open and stepping inside.

perception [roll0]

Xeno55
2012-01-28, 07:15 AM
The balcony above the front door looks shaky, but it should be safe enough to walk through the front doors into the small room beyond.

Rag gathers some water samples successfully. The water is murky and dark.

The party notices that almost the entire eastern wall of this structure has collapsed, revealing two large rooms. Apparently the lake has undermined the outer walls of these rooms. This is an alternative way into the building, as long as one does not mind wading or perhaps swimming.

Drothmal
2012-01-28, 03:45 PM
Satisfied with having acquired new samples, Raigard stands up, dust his robe and asks of his companions

What will it be? Main door, climb to the balcony or a nice swim through the pond? Based on our recent lack of success at climbing, I'd argue that options one and three seem to come slightly ahead...

Basically, I'm ok with any path. If anyone has a preference, Rag will agree. If there are no preferences at all from anyone, I say we try the front door

What's the worse that could happen? :smalltongue:

Bhaakon
2012-01-28, 05:27 PM
Farro opens the main door and treads in as Raigard yammers on. Should have tossed him in.

Xeno55
2012-01-28, 05:36 PM
This was once a wide hall flanked by a pair of waiting rooms,
but the foyer to Harrowstone now lies in ruins. With little left to
hold up the ceiling, the wooden beams above sag dramatically.
The wall to the north contains a large pair of oaken doors.

The north door opens into a 20' x 20' room, doors in each walls, except two doors in the eastern wall.

Streaks of mold stain the walls of this room, and the floor below
is a thick, gray carpet of fungal growth. Sturdy wooden doors
beckon from every wall.

The party proceeds with caution, wary of traps or collapse. All is quiet.

Do you wish to have the GM automatically check all doors for traps as you proceed?

ji9zo
2012-01-28, 05:53 PM
The sorcerer adjusts his turban slightly as they enter. The state of the interior seems to annoy him more than anything.

"What a place... Where to first?"

Drothmal
2012-01-28, 08:06 PM
Maybe we could do a clockwise search? suggests the alchemist, pointing to the closest door in that direction

I think it's best if the DM rolls for the searches. We'll let you know if we are taking 20

Bhaakon
2012-01-28, 11:37 PM
agreed on searches

Unable to come up with a better idea, Farro shrugs in acceptance of the described search pattern and makes his way to the closest door on the eastern wall.

I assume that we entered from the south, so east is counter-clockwise. Not sure w/o a map.

Xeno55
2012-01-29, 08:01 AM
Having entered the room originally from the south the party opens the most southern of the two eastern doors. A corridor heads east 30' ending in a door.

Suddenly all of the doors open. Flaming human faces fly through the air, entering the room from every direction except south. There is a sound of horrible screaming and a stench of burned flesh.

Then the faces are gone, and every door slams shut. The smell of burning lingers.

The party may take actions.

ji9zo
2012-01-29, 08:46 AM
The look of terror is slow to fade from Jaq's face. When he completely recovers from the fright he looks around the others.

"I... Uuhm... Lets continue?

Pezmerga
2012-01-29, 05:06 PM
"I agree, while unsettling that was, we all seem to be fine... for now." Ana says sheepishly smiling.

Bhaakon
2012-01-29, 05:34 PM
Farro tightens his hand on the door handle and jerks it open once again, on guard for more apparitions.

Xeno55
2012-01-29, 05:40 PM
The corridor stretches ahead thirty feet, ending in a door. There is no evidence of a trap. A smoke damaged sign on the door says "property room." The door seems to be locked.

Drothmal
2012-01-30, 12:04 AM
Oh! A lock! Maybe I can help with that! I wonder if this is a single or double barrel mechanism says the alchemist, a bit too cheerfully, as he pulls a set of lockpicks form one of his tunic many pockets

Everyone has their own copying mechanisms, it would seem

Raigard has a +6 to Disable device. If Farro has more, Rag will do an aid another action to give a +2 bonus. Otherwise, he'll take 20 to try picking the lock

Xeno55
2012-01-30, 12:11 AM
Several times Farro and Raigard think they have the lock opened, but they can't quit get it.

The door is metal.

Take 20 by Farro and Raigard generates 28 DC, this seems to be just a little too low.

Bhaakon
2012-01-30, 12:20 AM
Disgusted, Farro repacks his lock picks and heads back into the foyer. "Guess we'll have to take a look behind door number two," he says as he opens the other door on the east wall.

Xeno55
2012-01-30, 12:33 AM
The door opens up into a larger room extending to the north. 30' to the east is a door. 10' to the east is a raised platform, 3' high. To the north are rows of damaged and broken benches. The room, one might guess, could have been a chapel or school room.

Entering the room Farro and Ana both notice a chill temperature, the others notice nothing.

Drothmal
2012-01-30, 01:25 AM
Ana, can you detect any magic? asks Rag, though the alchemist seems to still be thinking about the locked door

Bhaakon
2012-01-30, 06:26 PM
Farro shivers involuntarily at the room's odd chill, but, assuming the others feel it as well, says nothing. He wanders up to the raised platform and searches, moving on to open the eastern door if nothing is found.

perception [roll0]

Xeno55
2012-01-30, 06:55 PM
I am assuming Ana would not mind fulfilling Rag's request.

Ana casts detect magic and detects no auras. She is standing by the door, Farro and Rag are entering the room. Both Farro and Rag feel very chilly.

Fortitude Save

Farro[roll0]
Rag[roll1]

Farro takes 6 hp of damage and loses 1 strength point.
Rag takes 4 hp of damage and loses 1 strength point.

Players may take actions as desired.

Drothmal
2012-01-30, 07:52 PM
The alchemist's temperature drops so drastically that Rag's knees wobble for a second. Looking at this arms, the elf realizes that some of the skin has been burnt by the cold and his muscles are not responding the way they should

I am... very cold whispers Raigard and though temperature is just a distribution of kinetic energies, this drop seems to be too many deviations to be probable

I think we should leave this room suggests Rag, pointing at the door where the group came from

Xeno55
2012-01-30, 07:56 PM
Rag leaves the room and no longer feels cold.

Bhaakon
2012-01-30, 08:02 PM
Farro nods his agreement through more shivers and staggers back to the foyer, where he sits for a moment. "Too heavy, not good" he pants, his injuries catching up with him.

could use some heeling, if there's any to be had. That str drain also put me into medium encumbrance :(

Xeno55
2012-01-30, 08:06 PM
Farro also leaves, on longer feels cold.

ji9zo
2012-01-31, 11:35 AM
Jaq pauses for a moment in thought.

"Perhaps we should return to the Pr- Kendra's house. I don't like this place at all."

Drothmal
2012-01-31, 03:33 PM
I concur... we should continue our explorations tomorrow agrees Rag as he keeps rubbing his body to regain heat

Pezmerga
2012-01-31, 03:43 PM
"Sounds good to me...I wish we knew more about what we were dealing with!"
Ana will channel energy. (Use 3 of 5 by my count.)

[roll0]

Bhaakon
2012-01-31, 06:23 PM
Farro nods in agreement

Xeno55
2012-02-01, 05:56 PM
The party returns to Kendra's and rests.

Day 6

Kendra provides her usual hearty breakfast.

Party members are free to return to Harrowstone, or take other actions.

Drothmal
2012-02-02, 11:21 AM
During breakfast, Raigard makes a proposition to the group

It might be useful to have more information before we visit Harrowstone again. If we think about it, we had mentioned to dig up more information on the important prisoners that had been kept in the prison, we also need to investigate what could have caused that unnatural cold and I am still wondering what was behind the door.

Should we split to maximize our efficiency?

Basically, I'm thinking that we could pool our resources/sell some of the loot to get a MW set of lockpicks (I just realized that we never tried the key we found in the warden's building). Farro would probably be the best for this
Ana has access to the temple, there we might be able to find more on the ominous named prisoners
Jaq and Rag could research more on the things we have already encountered at Harrowstone (the fire and the cold)

Any ideas/suggestions/changes?

ji9zo
2012-02-02, 12:48 PM
"Sounds good to me, perhaps we can find some answers regarding the cold from the apothecary, or the Professor's own notes. The town hall might also have something worth reading about the prison if we can get access to it."

Fine with all of that, though I only have 3gp to put towards lockpicks, unless you guys found more at the crypt.

Bhaakon
2012-02-02, 03:37 PM
I can put 56 gold toward MW thieves' tools, so we're more than halfway there.

"We need to know more, but the locals are as tight-lipped as as mute with lockjaw," Farro says at breakfast. "Maybe there's something we can do loosen those tongues. Maybe figure out who vandalized the statue, if we can."

Pezmerga
2012-02-03, 12:26 PM
"Good ideas...I also want to know who vandalized the statue..."[/, and more research is not a bad idea. I am willing to help however needed, just let me know what you want to do good sirs."

Drothmal
2012-02-04, 03:18 PM
Rag will spend his day researching about the cold that the party encountered. He'll start first at the professor's house and, if he does not find what he is looking for, he'll continue his search in the temple

Let me know if there is time to do anything else during the day

Xeno55
2012-02-04, 03:24 PM
Rag begins his research plan for the day. The other three characters may do as they wish.

ji9zo
2012-02-04, 06:01 PM
Jaq stays with Rag, first attempting to identify the scrolls with a few read magic spells and then to help him research the cold in the prison. If Rag chooses to go to the temple then he'll head out to the town apothecary instead to try and find out if they know anything.

Spellcraft rolls for scroll identifying.

1d20+4
1d20+4
1d20+4
1d20+4

Bhaakon
2012-02-04, 07:31 PM
Not being much for studies, Farro heads off to the Laughing demon.

Xeno55
2012-02-04, 11:03 PM
Jaq eventually deciphers all four scrolls. There is one detect undead, one protection from evil, and 2 hide from undead scrolls.

Xeno55
2012-02-06, 02:54 PM
Rag will spend his day researching about the cold that the party encountered. He'll start first at the professor's house and, if he does not find what he is looking for, he'll continue his search in the temple

Jaq and Rag continue their research. They discover:

Cold Spot (CR 3)
Cold spots occur at the sites of the traumatic deaths of
creatures that lack the psychic fortitude to persist as
true ghosts. These common supernatural indicators are
known to roam within large complexes, continuously
seeking relief from the chill of death by drawing warmth
from the living.
Cold Spot CR 3
XP 800
NE persistent haunt (15-ft. radius)
Caster Level 3rd
Notice Perception DC 10 (to notice a sudden temperature drop)
hp 13; Trigger proximity; Weakness damaged by fire; Reset 1 hour
Effect When the area of a cold spot is entered, the temperature
immediately drops to freezing as the minor spirit draws
warmth from living creatures. This action duplicates the
effects of a chill touch spell (save DC 11), automatically
affecting all creatures in the area for each round they remain.
Destruction An unattended metal object must be subjected
to heat metal while the cold spot manifests. The warm
object will absorb the entity, and must be quickly buried in
hallowed ground.

Xeno55
2012-02-06, 03:01 PM
Not being much for studies, Farro heads off to the Laughing demon.

Farro is greeted by Zokar Elkarid, the proprietor of the Laughing Demon. Zokar is perhaps the friendliest person Farro has met in Ravengro. The other patrons are less friendly, they stop talking and stare rudely as he enters.

Zokar:

And what will it be for you today, sir? Specials are vampire steaks, wolf balls, corpse chowder, and liquid ghosts. You do look thirsty, some liquid ghost would certainly put color into your cheeks.

At this some of the customers laugh harshly.

Drothmal
2012-02-06, 03:13 PM
Having found information about the Cold Spot, Rag turns to Jaq

This is most interesting! I wonder if there is a proportional relationship between the temperature of the metal and the speed with which the entity is absorbed... Or maybe it has an effect on the duration of the confinement

Clearing his throat, the alchemist continues

Nonetheless, we need to procure the spell and the hallowed ground... I bet the latter could be arranged through Anna, but for the former, my best take is that we should visit the local mage guild. Would you agree with this?

ji9zo
2012-02-06, 03:31 PM
"I would indeed. Shall we?"

With that the gnome gets to his feet and motions towards the door with his hand.

Assuming there's enough time left in the day that is.

Xeno55
2012-02-06, 05:03 PM
On the way through town Rag and Jaq encounter a group of young girls playing jump rope. Their song:

Put her body on the bed.
Take a knife and lop her head.

Watch the blood come out the pipe.
Feeds the stirge, so nice and ripe.

Drops of red so sparkly bright.
Splatters spell her name just right.

With a hammer killed his wife.
Now he wants to claim your life.

Tricksy father tells a lie.
Listen close or you will die

The party may continue to The Unfurling Scroll or interact with the children.

ji9zo
2012-02-07, 11:28 AM
Jaq gives Rag a confused look before approaching the children.

"What is that beautiful song you are singing, children?

Xeno55
2012-02-07, 11:34 AM
Diplomacy Check [roll0]

It's just a jump rope song mister. Just something to keep time, it doesn't mean anything.

The girls seem shy but not unfriendly, at least towards Jaq. Perhaps they find his smaller size reassuring.

ji9zo
2012-02-07, 03:01 PM
The gnome smiles slightly.

"Well is there any more to it? Perhaps you could teach it to my friend and I."

Jaq motions with a hand to Rag.

Diplomacy if needed - [roll0]