PDA

View Full Version : Dragondoom [FR 3.5] - IC Group 1

Pages : [1] 2

LittleCarp04
2012-02-05, 10:20 AM
The old man motions everyone to the nearby table and takes a moment to look at the odd looking group. Among them is a dwarf so heavily armored that it is amazing that he can sit down at all, a man with tiny scales covering his body who appears nearly draconic, a sun elf who seems to neglect proper hair care, a beautiful woman with a silver sheen to her skin, a agile looking man who's right hand makes it obvious he does not favor the use of a sword, and what appears to be a drow, but why such a foul being would be among these others is a mystery better left for later times.

"So I see you have interest in my offer. It is true I can give any who return successfully an incredible sum. This is truth," as he says that he drops a rather large bag on the table that is obviously heavy and falls with the great clinking sound that only gold can reproduce. "Now I'm sure you want to know what I would be willing to spend this money on. What I seek is said to be found on the Glacier of the White Worm. It is an orb about 2 foot in diameter, it is white with a blue tinge in the center. Why I need this is not of so much importance to you as the why I am hiring you."

"It is simple, the glacier can be deadly. I am not exactly in my prime anymore and thus I need to make use of brave adventurers and am willing to pay 20,000 gold to each of you whom makes the journey and returns. But beware it is said that great worms of incredible power call the glacier home, and word is that there is a white dragon who lairs there, but I have seen neither with my own eyes so you may want to ask around town to see who may have more information for you. Return with the orb and collect your prize to enjoy as you see fit. Do you have any other questions?" He asks as he looks at each of you in turn.

whoiam
2012-02-05, 11:35 AM
Nustrilaa
A hand emerges from under the cover of the hairstack.

"Do you have any idea where on the glacier we should be looking? 'On the Glacier' is really quite vague, considering the size of it... and the dangers we'll reputedly encounter during the search...

And if not, is there anything else you could tell us about it that may aid us in locating it? Does it have effects on the surrounding area? A shrine full of traps? Is there, in short, any way for us to know it's nearby short of walking in to it?" Or scrying on it...

"And if you cannot answer any of the above, do you know anyone else who can?"

userpay
2012-02-05, 12:50 PM
In stark contrast to her dark skin Cylirr wears cream, almost pure white, colored robes with yellow embroidery at the edges. From her throat hangs a glimmering sun of gold and at her back is a long case which seems to contain an elongated harp by the corner that protrudes forth.

"Hath you tried divining where it lays within the Glacier?" Cylirr's voice is soft, containing an almost musical quality to it. "With the money you're offering it seems you could hire a powerful wizard to do just that."

Daftendirekt
2012-02-05, 12:59 PM
"Dragons don't scare me," Hrothgar mutters as he stands behind the group, his armor being far too bulky to allow him to sit. He holds his helmet under one arm and leans upon his large hammer with the other as he listens to the man's tale.

"I've face danger before. Why should a wyrm be any different?"

whoiam
2012-02-05, 01:11 PM
Nustrilaa
"For the same reason that fighting a single brigand is less dangerous than fighting a full corsair ship and its entire crew, I'd imagine."

Mr. X
2012-02-05, 01:33 PM
Jory sits quietly, listening as the others chime in. After Hrothgar and Nustrilaa finish, he takes a folded parchment from his cloak, and leans forwards. "Creatures are one thing, but the cold on the glacier is a continual danger that will make sustaining a wide ranging search almost impossible." He spreads the parchment open, revealing a local map. The Glacier is marked on the map, but is otherwise essentially a blank area. "We'll need to know where to look."

He turns back to the old man.

"Concerning the Orb itself, as you say, it is none of our concern what it does, or what you intend to do with it. However, we will need to know a few basic things about it. Namely how much it weighs, how fragile it is, and if you are aware of any special care which should be taken in handling and transporting it."

Medic!
2012-02-05, 04:11 PM
Baryx

I always knew there was something grand hiding on that blinding cold beauty. I've spent not an insignificant time on the Glacier, anyone who ventures there unprepared becomes a frozen treat for its denizens. In my rangings I've never noticed anything like the orb you describe.

Flurry of dice! If the orb is notable enough for a bardic knowledge check: [roll0](+5 if dragon related). Also a Knowledge Geography for anywhere on the Glacier I might have seen or been that would be a likely place to start looking [roll1] If neither roll is appropriate for the orb, could they be applied to the white dragon the old man was speaking of? (And if none of them are appropriate for a roll, call it a warm-up!)

LittleCarp04
2012-02-05, 06:10 PM
The old man thought on it for a time, and replied,

"Of course I had considered hiring a mage to gather more information for me, but without me being able to survive the journey why waste my money? But I did have him do such divinations after the first of you came forward, then I was sure others would follow.

He said the orb is trapped within ice, in a cave that is accessible through only one opening halfway up the eastern side of the glacier. The path up is a treacherous one, and is known to pass through lands controlled by both goblins and a clan of frost giants. But the Worms have been active moreso than normal and have kept the giants further from the glacier than they normally would be."

He ends by finishing his drink and removing the bag from the table and secreting it away again. He then ordered a drink for himself and the others at the table to responded to his inquiries for a drink.

To Jory he turned and answered, "The orb is said to be roughly 6 pounds, and nigh-indestructible, fear not of dropping it, fear only of losing it." He points to the map Jory had and drew a twisting path up the eastern side of the glacier and marked the location of the opening which they had to enter to find the orb.

OOC:For Baryx: Your Bardic Knowledge doesnt have any information for you without a better description of the orb or its ability, it is too generic for any accurate results until you are able to see the orb or understand its use. Though you do know that the dragon on the Glacier has begun to hunt less and become more guarded on the glacier worried that anyone may find its hoard starting nearly two years ago.

Your Knowledge (geography) check however, shows your the best way to find the path and avoid a large clan of goblins, and also know where the ice and snow is too fragile or dangerous to walk over and have effectively reduced your (and those traveling with you) chances of falling into any chasms. You also know that the entrance they are speaking of is a entrance where the dragon is often seen entering and leaving its possible lair.

Medic!
2012-02-05, 07:32 PM
Baryx

Well and good old man, well and good! He takes a healthy swig from his mug, swallowing it with obvious pleasure. Now, mates, if we take the path you see here he traces a route along Jory's map with his finger we can dodge a particularly unsavory tribe of dirty little beasties...walkin snot-piles more than not, but best avoided altogether.

Pointing to another area along the route: We'd best avoid these areas as well, treacherous ice this time of year on the Slab. We can make it to the Wyrm-hole easy enough that way I reckon...make no bones about it though, it IS a Wyrm-hole, and the way ol' Whitey's been actin the last few years, it'll be guarded well. Could even be 'er lair down there...never got close enough to find out m'self.

Baryx's eyes follow a barmaid across the room as his voice trails off at the end. He mutters under his breath, ...bet she tastes of blackberry jam...

Mr. X
2012-02-05, 08:34 PM
Jory

Jory takes the proffered mug, and nods his thanks to the old man. To Baryx he says, "Good to know. I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm fairly new to these parts. Do you know what the weather this time of year is like up there? I ran into a storm on my way here, a few days back, but it wasn't too bad." He swigs his ale, and scratches his chin. "I don't suppose 'Old Whitey' is the chatty sort of lizard, is he?"

OOC:What time of day is it, and what is the current weather outside like?

LittleCarp04
2012-02-05, 10:22 PM
Its late evening, and its Mid Marpenoth, so its chilly outside and some snow may come any day.

Calenestel
2012-02-06, 02:13 AM
So far she has stayed quiet and to the back of the group, mulling the question over and letting the other talk, smiling ever so slightly at the sun elf's quip towards the... undiscrete dwarf but mostly studying her prospective benefactor. Now the silverhued woman, tall and wearing a suit of armour shining in silver as to make her skin look almost normal and with the open gauntlet of Torm clearly embossed on the breastplate, clears her throat softly. "You said that we need not know what the orb does or why you'd want it, goodman. But I disagree," she says voice firm and confident but not rude or challenging.
"No disrespect to you or any of the others gathered here," she continues with a slight, curious glance at the drow maid. A symbol of Lathander?! "But I need to know that it's not stolen goods nor created or intended for fell purposes. Barring that I pledge my help to you."

Since most DMs don't allow paladins to cast Detect Evil without people noticing it I think I'll leave that out for now. But let's make a Sense Motive here. Not that I'm very good at it. :smallwink:
[roll0]
Edit: That's actually... pretty good. Too bad people like this usually has Bluff scores to outsmart a demigod. :smalltongue:

LittleCarp04
2012-02-06, 07:35 AM
The old man takes a moment and looks squarely at the woman with the symbol of Torm on her chest, "Fret not holy one, the orb is not stolen, and by itself is not able to be used for any evil means. I will not go into the details of what exactly it does since I don't even know exactly what the orb does as I have never had it in my hands. You must understand that I am working simply on a few cantrips cast by a wizard unknown to me, and local rumors of a dragon who has begun to act strangely. There is the slight chance that the orb may not even be there at all.

Return with the orb or news of it not being there and you will be paid the same. But you must make a pledge to not speak of this to anyone else not among us now."

OOC:Your sense motive tells you that the man is holding things back still but generally being honest as far as he knows.

Calenestel
2012-02-06, 10:02 AM
Somewhat mollified the tormite nods calmly and looks to the other. She didn't trust the old man that far really. But she had posed the question that she needed to. No more needed to be said about it until they had found this mysterious orb. Readjusting the greatsword on her back she leans forward slightly. It was time to plan this venture. "The weather around here will be harsh come winter, friend. Especially on the glacier. It's windy and cold enough to attract both remhorazes and white dragons. I'd suggest you pack warmly. But there's also many legends about lost cities in the mountains and such, so at least there will be plenty of opportunities for both valour and riches."
As she finishes she's grinning widely. Doubtlessly about the chance for valourous deeds rather than any monetary gain. But she doesn't seem to think ill of those more materialistic than her.

Medic!
2012-02-06, 04:03 PM
Baryx

His eyes sparkling, Baryx becomes more and more excited at the prospect of the adventure. It sounds a fine adventure to me! I for one am decided, and happily accept the mission. I carry all the supplies I require in my pack. Anyone coming along should ensure they are prepared for dragons, goblins, burrowers, and icicles forming on their nethers when nature calls he gives a toothy grin No storm on the horizon can hide from these bones, we should depart on the morrow if they tell me the weather's safe. Even if the orb isn't there, there's still a Dragonhoarde out there somewhere, and a big scaly white blight on the region hoarding it.

OOC
One of the Stormsinger class features is fore-knowledge of any storm in the next 24 hours :smallbiggrin:

whoiam
2012-02-06, 08:31 PM
Nustrilaa

"Well, since we all seem to be set on going... might I suggest we go aside a ways and discuss our arrangements amoungst ourselves? I doubt our employer here really wishes to listen to us discussing provisions..."

Unless someone objects, interrupts, or still has a question for the employer, Nustrilaa will lead the party to a table of their own. Once she's seated, she'll begin speaking again.

"My name is Nustrilaa. I am a highly regarded Chef from the city of Athkatla in Amn. I have also spent the last century as the librarian for a cell of Cowled Wizards."

As she speaks, Nustrilaa removes a book from her bag of holding, and places it open to a page relatively near the front on the table. She then produces a quill pen and ink.

"I have access to a selection of useful spells for combat situations, and out of combat I have access to both a Secret Chest - ideal for anything we find that we dare not cary with us yet cannot leave behind - various pieces of Divination magic, the Secure Shelter spell (to give us somewhere to rest), and a small herd of magical horses for whenever the path is stable enough to allow us to use them.

I am not, however, of much use in a physical fight. If I do run out of prepared magic during our journey - always possible if we run into enough trouble - then I will be relying on you to keep me safe.

So, who are you all, and what are you all good at?"

She lifts the quill, clearly intending to take notes on her new colleagues.

LittleCarp04
2012-02-06, 08:44 PM
As the party leaves his table, the old man says, "Good luck, if you return, tell the barkeep Girvas, he knows how to fetch me. May the gods bring luck to you all."

userpay
2012-02-06, 09:39 PM
Cylirr considers what the old man has told them then nods. "We shall do our best then." She bows before following Nustrilaa and taking a seat.

"Indeed, the better we know each other the better we can handle what is to come. I am Cylirr Mynesari pledged in song and service to Lathander. When not used for healing or lighting our way my magic gravitates towards making my opponent unable to fight effectively, if at all. I've also some skill at divination as well. When spells fail I am passable with a bow but I am afraid that like Nustrilaa I cannot fight up close."

She steeples her fingers. "As to the orb... Methinks once we lay hands on it we aught to attempt to figure out what it can do no?"

Mr. X
2012-02-06, 10:36 PM
Jory

Jory takes his mug, nods to the old man, and follows Nustrilaa to her table.

"I don't suppose you'll be cooking for us then, will you? Trail rations will keep your belly full, but are a long reach from fine dining." He chuckles, but you can tell that he's only half joking.

"My father named me Jory..." he holds up his right hand, displaying its horrid burning and waxen flesh, "The boys in the Cormyrian Guard liked to call me 'Hornfinger', but I'll answer to just about anything you like. I fought the goblins during the war, and my bow's continued to earn my keep ever since. I'm no stranger to a battlefield, so I figure that between me and Mr. Hammer (he indicates Hrothgar) over there, we can be sure to keep you alive at least untill after dinner's served.

His tone is not in any way mocking, if anything, he's truly looking forwards to the possibility of a half decent meal.

Daftendirekt
2012-02-06, 11:37 PM
"I am Hrothgar Fireheart, of the mountain dwarves. I am well-trained with my hammer, and will see to it that as little harm comes to you all as possible. It takes a lot to bring down this dwarf.

The dwarf has accepted that they will be departing on this quest, and has little else to say.

Calenestel
2012-02-07, 03:53 AM
Considering the greatsword strapped to her back it's small wonder the redhaired paladin picks a bench for a seat rather than a chair. At the confirmation that the dark elf really is a follower and priestess of Lathander she nods in respect to the cleric. The tormites and the lathanderites doesn't have that much in common beyond being goodly faiths. But that's enough for Ylva. When the others have said their piece she finishes off with a simple: "And my name is Ylva Arkhent. I have been known as Ylva of Tantras and Ylva the Dutybound and I am a servant and paladin of Torm. I am trained as a warrior and I have some small powers of healing as well. I will serve as needed."
Pausing briefly she then adds: "I agree in that there's wisdom in examining our orb before turning it over to anyone. And maybe also the one we're to turn it over to." There is, however, no doubt in her voice or mind that they are to turn the orb over to the old man if he passes her scrutiny. They had given their words and while situations might change it was too early to assume such yet. "Do all of you have ways of staving off the cold of the Glacier?"

Mr. X
2012-02-07, 04:40 PM
Jory fingers his cloak, "My cloak has a minor enchantment woven into it that will keep me warm enough, unless the weather becomes truly extreme. Unfortunately, I do not possess anything that might benefit the party as a whole."

Cloak has a constant "Endure Elements" enchantment.

userpay
2012-02-07, 05:32 PM
"I've a spell to protect myself and others from the cold... But I would need to pray for it first."

Medic!
2012-02-07, 07:02 PM
Baryx
As Baryx rises to leave the table along with everyone else he addresses their new employer, See you around old man, and Milil's Fortune smile on you until we return.

He finds a comfortable spot to slouch against the wall and listens as everyone lists their strengths and discusses their impending trip to the Glacier. At last he chimes in, with all the bearing of a grand story tellerThey call me Baryx the Clarion around here, I've been ranging on the Glacier and there-abouts for nigh on twenty years -most of my life- knowing that my destiny is on that Glacier, tied to the White Wyrm.

I've saved more than one group of fool-hearty travelers on the Ice, they're more plentiful than you'd expect! I can provide all the sustainence we'll need, and like our studious friend there he indicates Nustrilaa I can provide shelter on the road to keep us warm and hidden. I can also assist in mending the wounds we may suffer along the way. I'm passable with bow and rapier, but my true power lies in the Eye of the Storm, and in the hearts of fair maidens. The only cold I fear is the cold of a lonely pallet on the road. With the last he gives a quick wink and an appreciative glance at Ylva.

If I sense no storm on the horizon, I suggest we set out at our earliest opportunity tomorrow morning.

whoiam
2012-02-07, 07:38 PM
Nustrilaa

As Baryx casts his gaze towards Ylva, Nustrilaa tries to fight off an amused grin. Being a poor bluffer at the best of times, she fails.

"It seems someone must have stolen away my youth when I was not looking. There was a time when those glances would have been coming my way... True, the wild look is far more popular with the Druids who raised me then it is with you 'civilized' folk, so I suppose I could just be out of fashion here..."

Still grinning, the wizard turned to address Cylirr.

"I, for one, would appreciate your magic. I was going to buy a couple of extra thick travelling cloaks and hope they were enough, but I'd rather trust my life to magic."

Actually, I'll do both. No sense in taking chances.

LittleCarp04
2012-02-07, 10:27 PM
A rather beautiful barmaid saunters over and says, " I beleive I overheard you talking about going onto the glacier... I wouldn't dare it! The worms are really active right now, you may want to head over to Laurin's place, he lives on the east side of town, word is that he went up just last week, and it cost him a leg."

Medic!
2012-02-08, 12:04 AM
Baryx

Baryx's face brightened as the maid approached, then darkened as she mentioned Laurin.

Aye...bad bit of business, that. Ol' Laurin's been up on that slab o' ice a hunnerd times. Took every healing spell I had and every ounce of wit to get him outta the spot he got himself into. Was a near thing gettin him down alive and m'self besides. I'd like to poke in on him regardless and see how he's gettin' along. Everyone'd be a mite wiser to stop in and listen to what he has to say.

After hearing everyone else out politely, Baryx searches out that red-haired barmaid he was hoping to find with hopes of her providing a place for him to sleep for the night (Or barring that, a room for the night from the innkeep.)

Calenestel
2012-02-08, 12:20 AM
Realizing Baryx hadn't explained his own area of expertise Ylva turns to listen to the woodsman... well... glacierman, anyway, with an air of respect to his knowledge about the area they would travel through. It was good to know that there would be someone with more experience of the glacier than hers. She had been there once or twice, but only passing through. She had very much not spent her last twenty years there. As the man continues on to flirt with her she shakes her head with a slight smile rather obviously devoid of any real encouragement. She wasn't as naïve as she had been when she set out into the world all those years ago, now she knew she was beautiful and that she would attract this kind of attention for many years to come, but she also knew many of them would not be the kind she was interested in. Temporary things. It was flattering, but in the end she would be looking for something more... stable. Her smile widens to a teasing grin of camaraderie as she answers, though: "Then you should have done what I did with my first reward as a wandering knight, friend. You should have bought an enchanted bedroll. I haven't feared a cold night since."
She even lets out a snicker as Nustrilaa playfully laments not getting that kind of attention and she taps her breastplate, one unadorned by any... "female bulges" with a silvery index finger. "Who knows. Maybe the boy likes his playthings well packed and protected. Personally I think he'd tire and move to more easily accessible distractions soon enough." She glances towards the barmaid who shared her hair colour as she speaks, correctly, guessing the spellscale's intentions. But her tone is friendly and not judgemental. She knew that not all philosophies were alike hers, and more than that a sense of camaraderie was already forming in the group, which was good for their chances of success. And survival.

Then the other barmaid approaches and voices her concern. Giving her a friendly, calming smile the paladin is quick to answer: "I think we'll be going anyway, maid. It is our duty to go where others fear to tread. But fear not, we're neither unexperienced nor foolish. We'll be careful, work together and listen to experience. So visiting goodman Laurin might be wise," she concedes in the end. But her tone makes it obvious that while she was going to listen to his knowledge she wouldn't be scared of by his misfortune.
Turning back to the rest she adds, respectfully: "Unless the rest of you think we could use the time better, of course."

Mr. X
2012-02-08, 12:23 AM
Jory raises an eyebrow at the barmaid,"That bad, Eh? I don't suppose there's a bounty up for 'thinning the herds' or some such, is there? Can you tell me precisely whereabouts this 'Laurin' lives.

(Presuming the barmaid provides directions)He stands, picks up his pack, and drops a few coppers on the counter for the barkeep. As he goes, he says to the party,I'll go and have a chat with this Laurin. It'd be good to hear his story, if nothing else. I'll be back in an hour or two, so don't trouble yourselves if you aren't dying to come along."

userpay
2012-02-08, 02:01 AM
Cylirr smiles and gives Nustrilaa a polite nod at her acknowledgement. That smile grows somewhat more catlike as she notes Baryx's departure and the direction in which it takes him. "Oh I do think he hath already tired and moved on methinks. A quick one he is."

Cylirr stands as Jory announces his intentions. "Methinks I shall be along as well. There might be something more I can do for the man Lathander willing."

Daftendirekt
2012-02-08, 02:12 AM
"Are we here to chase fair maids, or take down a dragon and claim its treasure?" Hrothgar growls as he watches the antics of the young humans.

Hefting his large shield, he slings it onto his back and clomps towards the bar, his heavy boots thumping against the oaken floorboards. He stares over the counter -- which is just barely possible -- and asks the barkeep for Girvas.

Calenestel
2012-02-08, 02:44 AM
Grinning at the lathanderite drow Ylva rises again, picks up her gauntlets and nods. "I'll come along as well. I'll learn more there than here, I'm sure."
She really liked the women of this motley group the paladin decided, even if one of them would probably make her flinch everytime she'd see her in the corner of her eye. At least for a while.

LittleCarp04
2012-02-08, 08:44 AM
The cute barmaid tells Jory, "There actually is. For every worm slain, take one leg, and you will receive 500 gold from the local constable for each leg taken. Don't take more than one leg from each worm though, last to try that isn't around anymore to warn off others, if you catch my drift. Laurin lives down on the east side of town, in a little shack just past Ervards Magical Malaides and Miscellanous Merchandise." she says ending with a raised eyebrow.

The barkeep turns to Hrothgar and says, "Girvas is out right now, he won't be back until tommorow, what did you need goodsir? I can answer any questions you had or provide you directions to where you need to go. Also tell your friends that the old man, Sarmith is his name, paid for rooms for each of you for the night, so don't fear not having a place to lay your head for this night at least."

Mr. X
2012-02-08, 06:25 PM
Jory thanks the barmaid, and walks out the door. After checking the coast, he stands beside the door as the ladies exit.

Once they start down the street, he'll turn to Cylirr, shuffling his feet slightly, before broaching the subject.

"So... Uhm... What is someone like you doing here?"

userpay
2012-02-09, 11:23 AM
"Hmm... You mean how hath one that by all rights would oft be killed on sight due to their skin hath managed to not suffer the same?" Cylirr's tone sounds serious though there is amusement in her eyes. "Simple. I am not wholly of their ilk. That and tis Lathander's light that guides me through my troubles."

Mr. X
2012-02-09, 11:51 AM
"Aye, I'll bet he does." Jory replies. He thinks for a moment before continuing.
"Forgive me, I meant no offense by the question. The best man I ever knew was a guy named Solioz Phate. He was a wizard out of Thay... Met his end at the hands of a lynch mob... Your sort is feared even more than his was, so... I just figured I'd ask.

userpay
2012-02-09, 02:17 PM
"Well... It helps that Lathanderites don't like to hear someone was killed by a mob in their colors. Brings them running whether they want anything to do with me or not." Cylirr notes with a giggle.

Calenestel
2012-02-09, 02:23 PM
Glancing at the "drow" and the man at her side Ylva comes along silently, if not very quietly. It was a strange group she had joined. The best way to describe the half-elf was... sunny. Small wonder she had joined Lathander's church. With a soft smile at the thought the paladin continues to listen to the conversation.

Mr. X
2012-02-09, 09:33 PM
Jory turns to Ylva, "Well, between the dark elf priestess of the Morninglord, and a paladin of a dead and risen god, we seem to have our bases pretty well covered. Earlier you sounded as though you'd been through these parts before. What brought you then?"

Daftendirekt
2012-02-10, 02:17 AM
"Just intended to inform him of our agreeing to take the job, but it can wait. Meanwhile, I'll take your finest ale," Hrothgar says, unloading his shield and warhammer and leaning them up against the bar, setting his helm atop the head of his hammer. He lets out a heavy sigh as he sits, shifting his heavy armor until he can get comfortable.

"Any entertainment planned for the evening? I always enjoy good songs and good ale before bed."

Calenestel
2012-02-10, 02:25 AM
Making what might be a shrug, the armour makes it hard to tell, the tormite explains without slowing down. "I pursued a couple of criminals who tried to loose me by going up into the cold. Turned out they had some magical equipment to ward the wrath of the elements off them and they assumed that I didn't. Not much to tell, really... I confronted them and herded the survivor back to civilisation. And I was rewarded with this," she finishes, tapping a clear, round, green crystal attached to her left shoulderguard. "One of the afformentioned pieces of equipment."

LittleCarp04
2012-02-10, 01:49 PM
The group approached where the barmaid said they could find Laurin’s house, and it was clear which shack it was, the “house” was rather rundown and was in sore need of repair. As Baryx approached the door to announce their arrival, it swings open and a disheveled man was pointing a large crossbow straight at Baryx, “Who in the hells are ye’? I didn’t ask nobody to come here today! Get the hell out of here before I lay you down!” As he is yelling its clear he is either manic or drunk, or possibly both. The smell of refuse and excrement is wafting from the house and you immediately take a small step back. After a tense moment, Laurin recognizes Baryx and says, “Baryx, what are you doin’ here? It ain’t safe here boy! Get in to the back of the house, quickly now!” He lowers the crossbow and begins to wave you all into the home, leading you to the back. As you step through the door, you all notice a man standing across the way leaning casually against an abandoned house, with his hand on the hilt of his sword as if waiting patiently. He is keeping a careful watch on the house.

After you are all in the back of the house, surprisingly free of the stench that seemed to be permeating the front Laurin shuffles around the room, you notice he has a wooden peg in place of the lower left leg he lost, looking out the windows before finally sitting down and looking at you squarely, “You shouldn’t be here, its not safe right now, I never should have taken the job on the glacier.” As he says that he notices a few of you look to one another, and continues, “Is that why you are here, to ask me about the glacier? Fine then, its quite a tale to tell, so let me start. About 2 ten-days ago a young man was looking for someone brave, or foolish, enough to head onto the glacier in search of some magical trinket he thought may be stored there. He said it was a rather easy job that anyone with my rather considerable talent should have been able to do easily. Of course everyone knows that the glacier is a dangerous place, what with the Worms and the Wyrm and all. But I wasn’t too concerned, it seemed as of late the dragon had been less active and the worms hardly active at all, but I fear no frost worms.

Everything was fine for the first few days of the journey, I was able to avoid the goblins and frost giants. I was on the glacier approaching the cave where the boy said the orb could be found, went in and travelled down a long tunnel in the back, I was quickly realizing that I wasn’t prepared for the intense cold, but a jobs a job and I would see it through. After going down a few hundred feet I found a large opening and on top of a pile of gold was the orb. It was beautiful, about 2 feet around, made of the purest white, with some sort of blue mist swirling within. I knew this is what he wanted, and I knew that the gold he had promised me would be mine. Of course I was sorely tempted to take as much as I could carry, but at this point it was just about getting out of there alive.” He gets up and looks back out the windows again and then looks around at all of you nervously, he paces as he continues.

“I had the orb and was traveling back up the tunnel to leave, I heard the rumbles that I knew could only be cause by the burrowing worms, but never saw one thank the gods. As I was at the first cave again I felt it, the dragon was coming, I’m not sure how I knew but I never would have wanted to see it up close I’ll tell you! He must have had some sort of alert or magical alarm to inform him when someone entered that cave, because he KNEW I was there. I started shooting my bow just it was nearly useless. Nothing was getting through his scales. He took in a deep breath and I knew my life was at that point forfeit. A strong jet of what appeared to be frozen air billowed toward me and I had nowhere to go. It washed over me and I knew I would be frozen in place, as some sort of statue to warn off others.

But nothing happened, the cold air flowed over me but did not hurt me in the least. I took that moment of surprise for the dragon to make a run for it, he quickly got over the shock of his attack being negated and swiped at me, deeply cutting my leg and tearing the orb from my pack. I fell over the edge of the cave mouth and tumbled down quite a ways, leaving a red streak on the ice. Surprisingly the dragon did not follow me out and I did not see him again, I was nearly running down the glacier at this point, paying no attention to where I stepped and my leg got caught in a crevasse.” He is breathing heavily at this point and his hands are slightly shaking.

“I panicked, didn’t know what do to so I chopped at the ice for a time, but I could feel myself getting weaker by the minute, I was only a few hundred feet up at this point and I knew if I could get lower I might have a chance. So I took my leg off. It was rough work with my old blade, but it had to be done. I continued down the mountain as I could until I blacked out, I woke later at a nearby temple, they said that Baryx had brought me down the rest of the way, but wasn’t sure on the details, but that isn't important anymore.

Since I had came down and been back home, there have been these men around, always watching me, I went back to the Witch’s Teat but wasn’t able to find anyone who remembered the young man. There have been notes posted on my door threatening me if I don’t turn over the orb. I fear how much time I have left. So you see, you have to turn down this job and just leave. Its not safe to be here and you may already know too much, tell no one of what you have heard today and hope you can escape this madness I find myself in."

Calenestel
2012-02-10, 02:21 PM
At first she might have been a bit bothered by the smells of the place but soon enough the paladin listens intently at the story. She's clearly fascinated by the tale on it's own merits but also from a professional interest intended to help their own quest. But as the one legged man finishes his tale her mood has turned, bristling with anger that makes one wonder if her braided hair should lash like a cat's tail and with her green eyes sparkling with indignation. "Goodman, are you telling me that these... ruffians and scoundrels have harassed you since you returned crippled? By the black buttocks of Bane! Are the guardsmen doing nothing?!" Her voice is tight with barely constrained anger and she sees on the verge of bursting out of the house and attack the offenders.

Mr. X
2012-02-10, 06:02 PM
Where Ylva rages at the end of the story, Jory sits back an smiles.

"Easy there, oh pillar of duty and justice, we've got ourselves an opportunity here... We're facing a setup, obviously, but the best part of knowing you're being setup is that you can spring the trap on your own terms. He turns to Laurin, "We've got a young man and an old one, probably the same bloody wizard, who want the orb... They think you've got it, but aren't sure, or they'd have killed you already... They don't feel like facing off with the dragon, but are fairly certain they can't take care of us if the need arises... That's all well and good, because it means our reward at the end of all this is on the end of a pointed stick... If you take my meaning. Knowing all this, we can tilt the field in our favor and beat them at their own game... However, since they doubtless know we're coming here, it doesn't do us any good unless we fake an unpleasant outcome so as they shall assume we failed to learn anything of import... Are you very attached to this house?"

As he finishes, blinks, realizing a foolish oversight, and turns to Nustrilaa, "Of course all this is moot if we're being scryed on right now... Can you determine that?"

Medic!
2012-02-11, 01:26 AM
Baryx the Bard

Laurin you fool, why didn't you mention all this earlier? It seems we only have one avenue open to travel...we have to bring that orb back. It'll get the buggers off Laurin's tail, and net us a reward besides. At least our suspicions are now confirmed about the White. Baryx turns to Ylva, I'm as angry as you lass, but thugs like that work right under authority's nose up here, it's the way of the land. You don't want to pull down powerful enemies on our heads. I say we get the orb, clear Laurin's mischeif from his doorstep, collect a fatter purse than we had before....and in the mean-time we can think on the rest. Nothin changes us wantin that orb. I've even a hair of suspicion it might be what saved Laurin's neck against that dragon, in which case we could fatten our purses a great deal more if we're crafty, riddin' the land o' that beast at the same time.

userpay
2012-02-11, 11:33 AM
"If the old man thought that Laurin had the orb then why did he hire us?" Cylirr clasps her hands in front of her. "My thought is perhaps there's at least two, if not more, groups aiming for the orb each either unaware or doesn't care for the other thinking they've got a leg up on them."

Mr. X
2012-02-11, 11:56 AM
"That's an interesting point..." Jory says to Cylirr. He takes the map from his pack and shows the marked path to Laurin. "Is this where you were looking?"

LittleCarp04
2012-02-11, 01:18 PM
The barkeep mentions to Hrothgar, "Entertainment? You mean like a minstrel or somesuch? None of that goes on too often here, but if you head up the road to Nurthel's place, the Dancing Wyvern, they nearly always have someone singing or even dancing, oddly enough..."

Calenestel
2012-02-11, 04:33 PM
When Baryx matter-of-factly shrugs off the Guard's unwillingness to help Laurin Ylva shakes her head in denial, her voice quivering with anger. "No. That doesn't excuse anything. I've seen this time and again. And I won't have it. A town's guard or militia should serve it's citizens. If not then they should be reformed or replaced!" Taking a deep breath she seems to collect her wits a bit and then continues in a softer tone. "Now, I agree with Cylirr. It seems like we have more than one group interested in the orb. And that makes me slightly worried about the nature of our quest. But if we find it, this other group will probably leave goodman Laurin here alone again." Giving the man in question a friendly nod she seems to make sure that he doesn't feel like she's talking over his head. Then a thought strikes her. "This would, however, mean that beating up a few thugs would be in our interest as well as a good deed."

whoiam
2012-02-12, 01:18 PM
"Firstly, I cannot say if we are being scryed upon or not. I can scry myself, but detecting another's attempts is an entirely different line of spells, and one I have had no reason to master... yet.

Now if you'll excuse us for a moment, I think Ylva and I need to have a little chat outside." Nustrilaa gestures back the way they came in, and pauses a moment to see if Ylva will go with her...

Mr. X
2012-02-12, 02:09 PM
"Ahh, curses. Very well then, we'll just have to hope." Jory replies.

Calenestel
2012-02-12, 03:05 PM
When Nustrilaa asks her to follow her outside she almost reaches to ease her greatsword in the scabbard on her back, a grim smile almost touching her lips. But instead something in the sun elf's tone makes her look at the wizard and with a frown she lets her hand fall to her side. Letting her helmet hang where it is the paladin nods in accord: "Ready when you are."

whoiam
2012-02-12, 03:44 PM
Nustrilaa steps outside, and pauses a moment for Ylva to catch up.

"I've seen a lot of Paladins and a lot of Clerics in my life, " she begins. The tone of voice indicates that she's... irritated. "Some of them became real forces of good in the world. Helped the oppressed, righted wrongs, that sort of thing. Others became butchers, slaughtering their way through anyone they thought didn't live up to their 'high standards', and patting themselves on the back afterwards because they remembered to say their prayers every morning between campaigns.

I'm getting really quite worried about which type of Paladin you are. You see, if we go and assault this man's neighbours, however good our intentions, are they suddenly going to see the error of their ways? No. They're going to wait until their injuries heal and they're going to come back to lynch Laurin.

It really doesn't matter that what they are doing is wrong. It really doesn't matter that something in your soul says that this is evil and must be opposed. It really doesn't matter that this *IS* evil. Losing your temper and going for your sword still won't help in the long term.

So when you die, and Torm stands in judgment over your soul, what do you want to tell him? That you made the world a better place... or just an emptier one?

Now, in the interests of making sure you listen to me *next* time I want to make a speech, I'll offer you a little advice.

Unless you plan to settle down here and enforce the peace, or butcher your way through everyone who might break it, your sword cannot solve this problem. But we've got until the morning before we set out, and there are guardsmen around. Find them. Talk to them. Pay them if you have to. Just convince them to do their jobs... or what you see as their jobs, anyway.

Because whatever solution you come up with will fall apart the moment we leave town unless it's the guard who are enforcing it. So start with them. If you cannot rely on them, then there is nothing you can do here that's of real help..."

LittleCarp04
2012-02-12, 11:26 PM
Laurin is still shuffling around the room, and he nervously glances out his back door to where Ylva and Nustrilaa are talking, and he seems worried at what may happen in the near future, "Ok you all must leave now, when you leave make it seem as though you are upset and I will yell a bit, we don't want them to think you are on friendly terms with me, do what you can about these thugs but please don't go for the Orb, only ill can come of it!"

He goes to the front of the shack and checks the window, seeing if the coast is clear, and then comes back into the room and checks the side window one further time, Ok the coast seems cl-" *CRASH* The sound of glass breaking is only slightly muffled by the dull thump you hear from Laurin and the sound his body makes when it slaps the floor limply. At the sound, Nustrilaa and Ylva turn back and take a step toward the house when a small orange bead, no larger than a grape flies from a rooftop across the way through the broken window explodes with enough force to throw everyone to the ground and turn the shack into tinder.

OOC: Ok eveyone (except Hrothgar) roll reflex save, if you make the save you take half dmg, except Jory he will take no dmg (evasion) Damage for fireball:[roll0]

Calenestel
2012-02-12, 11:55 PM
She is a bit wary as she follows her new found companion out the door, not sure what the elf is about but always willing to hear a person out. But at the rather eloquent scolding she straightens up even more than usual, even if it's hard to tell for someone wearing armour, and her face grows colder, sterner and prouder. It's clear that she listens, even if she doesn't like it, though. "Are you quite finished? Good. Now you listen to me."
Taking a deep breath the paladin relaxes. A little. First off: I do not take lightly to being called a butcher, even in roundabout ways. Nor do I approve of such when it comes to other paladins and priests of goodly faiths. Some, some mind, might go about it in very unefficient ways. Some might even be lazy about who they decide to fight although I know they don't keep their powers for long. But as for the others, those who do keep their powers, they do it because they actually do strike against evil and have at least the benefit of the doubt from their gods. And fighting evil is a worthy goal in itself. Indeed "slaughtering their way through everyone who gets in their ways is an apt description of most adventurer's I've ever seen yet nothing is said about these assumed "good-doers".
I will not listen to you just... besmirching those who fight evil like this. I won't stop you, you have a right to your opinions, but I won't listen to it. If you want to have a civilized discussion we can, but that has to come from the both of us." Taking a deep breath so as to not go too far the paladin still manages to continue without letting the sun elf get a word in edgewise. Her voice and stance mellows considerably as she continues though, knowing and acknowledging that Nustrilaa has a good point or two despite being more than undiplomatic about it: "Now, I do however agree that that kind of paladins and clerics has no thought of long term gain and consequences. And I try to have that. Sometimes honour and especially duty forces me to do things that I would rather avoid, even in cases like this, but this is not such a time -not that I believe for a second that those watching Laurin is anything near his neighbourhs, she adds with a weak, probing smile. She really didn't want friction in the party to make this venture of theirs a lost cause from the start.
"I do think you're sorely overreacting when you speak of settling down here to solve the problems of this Torm-forsaken place. But it will take more time than we have so let's ju-" whatever she was going to say is cut short by the sound of breaking glass and suddenly Ylva is on the alert, turning and looking for the source of the sound. Something was very much wrong. A small flash of light streaks down and the paladin turns and tries to throw herself away from the shack.

Then the explosion that just obliterates the shack they were standing outside of sends her to the ground. Surprisingly quick the armoured tormite gets back to her feet, hurt but not seriously so. Unhooking her helmet and putting it on she looks for any enemies nearby. "It would seem some of Laurin's 'neighbours' decided to gainsay you, didn't they," she half jokes and half admonishes her wizard companion. Helmet secured she puts her hand on the hilt of her sword, ready if she spies any enemies.

Post might be slightly added after this save:
[roll0]
Edit: A bit uncertain if I made the save or not. Assuming a wizard of max 18-19 intelligence and no feats to change the DC I just barely did. I'm gonna let the post stay unchanged until I know how much damage I took.

Also:
[roll1]
I need to put some ranks in Spot. :smalltongue:

Medic!
2012-02-12, 11:58 PM
Baryx

Reflex save: [roll0] I'm assuming you'll let us know if we made it or not?

Baryx curses loudly and dashes outside and around the building to the side the fireball entered from, drawing his bow and knocking an arrow as he rounds the house, searching for the attacker.

Daftendirekt
2012-02-13, 12:41 AM
Hrothgar queries which rooms have been rented out for his group and, upon getting his key from the innkeeper, heads up to leave some of his gear behind. He lays his shield, helm, and hammer on the bed. This done, he checks his change purse and heads downstairs, locking his door as he leaves and nodding amiably to the innkeeper on his way out.

He proceeds to the Dancing Wyvern, intent on ordering some good hearty food, strong ale, and enjoying a night of music; it had been a long trip from the mountains and he wanted to relax.

LittleCarp04
2012-02-13, 12:45 AM
Oh yeah... i should have put the DC in there huh... its 16, so far youve both made it :P

userpay
2012-02-13, 01:46 AM
(ooc And suddenly I wish I had a certain spell prepared that I figure'd I'd never use...)

There is a small, amused smile on Cylirr's face at Laurin goes on about what he's going to have to do. Yet when the thump came she imediatly leaped to her feet... Just in time for everything to go up in flames. Stumbling she tries to make it to where Laurin fell in attempt to drag the poor man out.

reflex
[roll0]

Mr. X
2012-02-13, 11:57 AM
OOC:
Jory's Reflex Save: [roll0]

If you'll allow it, I'd like to tackle Cylirr, and [hopefully] take the damage in her place. (I'll post descriptive text after you rule on this.)

Jory's eyes widen as the bead bounces through the window. With a wordless curse he throws himself at Cylirr, knocking her to the ground as the fireball explodes, and bodily shields her from the blast.

Jory takes 15 damage.

whoiam
2012-02-13, 02:17 PM
[roll0]

Don't know if we're going into a fight scene or not, but just in case....
[roll1]

Also, questions: How far is the roof we were fireballed from, and can we see anyone atop of it?

LittleCarp04
2012-02-13, 09:33 PM
The explosion leveled the shack, Jory leapt to cover Cylirr and shield her from the blast, Nustrilaa and Ylva were lucky enough to be outside but still didn't totally escape the blast, everyone is knocked down but no one seems to have taken significant damage except Jory who threw himself into danger to protect the Lathanderite. Baryx is fast to act, dashing to the wide which had the window and trying to spot where the attack may have come from. But to no avail, no one saw specifically which rooftop the fireball traveled from.

Ylva does look over to where that man was standing outside watching the house, only to find he is gone from his previous post.

After what seems like nearly half an hour, but in fact is only a few minutes, a group of guardsmen approaches, upon seeing that everyone is ok, except for Laurin who can be found strewn about, says "Someone explain what has happened right now, or we will be forced to arrest everyone. What happened to Laurin's place? I assume this was the doing of those who were "watching" him? We had patrols traveling down here nearly hourly to check on the crazy bastard and never found anything. All of a sudden you lot show up," As he says this he sees Cylirr getting up with Jory, and his mood darkens, "And everything is going to hell. Of course Baryx is known around these parts as a rather stand up man, but you all need to tell me what has happened and then go back to whatever inn you are staying, and leave town within a day. If anyone has a problem we can definitely accommodate you in our wonderful establishment. And let Captain Hurfang deal with you in the morning. He always loves to dole out punishment to foreigners."

*At the Dancing Wyvern*

Hrothgar enjoys a easy evening drinking reasonably priced ale that is better than he would have expected, and listening to Uldara, a female harp player serenade the audience. Nothing otherwise too exciting happens and Hrothgar is free to return to the Witches Teat to rest for the night at his leisure.

Mr. X
2012-02-13, 11:27 PM
Jory drags himself from the wreckage, helping Cylirr along with him. His cloak and armor are seared, most of his hair has be burned off, and his head and one side of his face are severely burned... He's a horrid sight. As the guard finishes rattling away at them, he pulls himself up tall, and spits blood on the ground.
"While I wouldn't expect you to believe that it was merely chance that brought us all here tonight, I expect you can believe that murdering our guide's friend and then blowing ourselves up, was not at the top of our list of 'fun ways to spend and evening.' He touches his burned face, and winces... "We're here for the bounty on the worms. Heard they've been gettin out of hand. We met Baryx at the Witch's Teat, who said he could show us around, also indicated Laurin here, who'd been up recently and run into trouble... Figured we could use some advice. What you see, is all we got."

Calenestel
2012-02-14, 12:31 AM
Glancing at Jory through her visor, happy to see the man alive and... well... sort of, but not exactly happy about his lies to the authorities Ylva still lets the subterfuge stand. Stepping forward and again removing her helmet she calmly, and proudly, states: "My name is Ylva of Tantras. I am a wandering paladin of Torm and I confirm that we were merely here for information. Laurin let us in despite being afraid of his watchers. They must have panicked when they saw him getting "outside help"."
Aside from calm and proud she is also obviously respectful, she had obviously misjudged the guard and felt rather bad about it, really. "You can report to captain Hurfang that I will offer no resistance to your requests and will leave as you ask. On my honour."

userpay
2012-02-14, 12:05 PM
It is with some surprise that Cylirr finds herself on the ground, taking a few moments to realize Jory had covered her from the blast. "Well I can honestly say I've not had someone do that for me before." Cylirr remarks with wide eyes as she stands. The half drow fusses over Jory as she examines his wounds before singing a short refrain of Lathander's grace. Light filling her palm as Cylirr cradles the worst of Jory's wounds. "If you need more assistance just let me know." She mummers before finally turning to the guards.

"Certainly sir, though do you wish to speak of this in the street in full view of everyone or shall we adjourn to discuss this in a spot with a few less... Ears listening about? Just give me a moment if you will to set the man's spirit to rest." As she speaks Cylirr moves towards what remains of Lauren lays, and if unmolested begins gently gathering the pieces and laying them out as if to prepare for burial. After doing what she can the half drow pulls forth a lyre from the pack at her side, a beautiful piece wrought of silver with sun and moon motifs, and sets her fingers to dancing across the strings. A slow dirge played for the fallen man.
Casting Cure Moderate Wounds from my domain slot on Jory, it is affected by Healing Hands.

As to Lauren I've no idea if he's in pieces (I'm assuming that for now) or what but arranging him nicely and making a Heal check in attempt to find something off in the way he died, if how he hit the floor before the fireball went off is any indication, while I do so.
[roll1]

Aaand for the hell of it perform.
[roll2]

Medic!
2012-02-14, 03:27 PM
Baryx

Baryx gives a sad half-smile to the guard who is acting as spokesman, and says What my companions say is true, we came here to confer with Laurin, and I to check up on his recovery, before we ventured out to hunt on the Glacier. I'm not sure what the origin of he explosion was, but I have my suspicions. I'm almost certain some kind of magic was involved...I don't know what potions he was using to speed his recovery or how volitile they could have been, but it happened in an instant. If you'll excuse me a moment I'd like to honor my friend. Worry not, we'll be gone this night, I've no wish to remain about this tragedy.

Baryx moves over to Laurin's body (as it is) and joins his voice to Cylirr's tune, singing of Laurin and his life.

A Good man he was, no soul can doubt.
Curious we are of what tossed him out
This mortal coil with firey force.
His body is burned and blasted and torn
And we wish to leave before the Morn.

Twas not our doing, but though guilty we feel
That Laurin has passed in resounding peal
And flames did lick his cabin walls.
Could it have been his Watchers, which he oft described?
Or a fermented potion that caused his demise?

As he sings he walks about what remains of the room, using his hands to urge his allies back towards the Witch's Teat.

Baryx uses his Fascinate bardic music ability on the spokesman of the guards (the will save DC is [roll0] and if successful uses his Greater Suggestion ability (DC 21 will save) to plant the suggestion in the guard's mind that everything he's said and sung is true (That the group is leaving post-haste and had no part in the "accident" that took Laurin's life and home)

whoiam
2012-02-14, 05:02 PM
Nustrilaa

Nustrilaa had taken a few moments more to pick herself up after the fireball hit. The tone of voice of her companions suggested there was no combat, no obvious foe to chase, so instead she took a good few moments to examine herself.

No major injuries. A few small burns. A surprising amount of charred hair. Minor damage to her cloak. Hm... maybe one of the local women was good with hair. She may be happy looking like a haystack, but Nustrilaa drew the line at looking like a partially burned one.

When Baryx mentioned his suspicion about this being Magic, Nustrilaa chimed in with her opinion. Being firmly convinced that she's one of the smartest people in the world had given her a certain tendancy to speak her mind, especially when the topic veered around to one of her specialities...

"Speaking as a wizard... while it's possible to come up with a combination of potions that could be poisonous enough to make someone drop dead on the spot, it's pretty unlikely said potions would also be able to break a window and toss a Fireball spell through the hole in the glass.

For that matter, I am, as I said, a Wizard, and I couldn't do it. Although that's less because a wizard and an archer across the street would be an impractical method of doing this - far from it, in fact they'd be the most practical method of murdering someone and dropping a fireball on the evidence before anyone in authority can examine the body - and more because I learned all my spells in a library, and learning fire magic was discouraged for obvious reasons. Rewriting spellbooks is a real pain."

Nustrilaa didn't see the origin of the fireball, hence the 20+ DC(rolled save against) instead of the usual 15+(witnessed casting).
She does, however, know that the fireball arrived after the window broke and after Laurin collapsed. Speculating that someone shot him or tossed a knife, rock, whatever through the window at him first (and so that the fireball could get inside the shack instead of detonating against the outside wall) is just that, speculation. All she really knows is the order of the events she witnessed, and which spell she has to thank for the singed hair and charred cloak.

LittleCarp04
2012-02-14, 09:54 PM
The guard seems to be hesitant to accept that your group had no part in this happening, but Baryx's word is enough to push him over the edge.

"If you had no part then begone, I don't want to have to explain why a group of strangers are standing all over potential evidence. Allow us to do our jobs please." He finishes with a glare at Cylirr who has gathered up the peices of Laurin she was able to find and seemed to be praying over them.

"Go back to where you are staying, and please don't come back here, it will only raise more questions for everyone."

Cylirr's heal check in addition to gathering the peices of him she could find, shows that he was in fact shot in the heart with an arrow and killed instantly before the fireball went off.

Calenestel
2012-02-15, 03:19 AM
Bowing to the leader of the guards Ylva calmly bids them goodbye: "As you say. I will let you do your work and return to mine. Tyr's blessing on you all." Turning to go she mumbles to Nustrilaa: "Tell me if you want some help with the hair. I'm not a barber, but I've had some experience with a pair of scissors as well as swords." Her own hair had survived tussled but unburnt, she was not sure how but taking the blast in the face instead of the back of her head had probably helped. Realizing that she also realized that her face was probably more red and severly blistered than silvery and smooth right then. It was starting to hurt. More to avoid it hampering her than to soothe the pains she pulls off a gauntlet, tucks it behind her belt and puts her hand to her cheek and with the blessing of Torm her burns are no more. Again she looks to the wizard, adding: "And of course I'd be happy to heal your burns. Let's call it a payment for trying to talk some sense into me." A smile, both friendly and sly and maybe a touch self deprecating lights up the paladin's face, a clear sign of peace.

Mr. X
2012-02-15, 10:58 PM
Jory nods his acquiescence to the guards, before turning as the party gets ready to go.

At Cylirr's comment he looks somewhat bashful, and replies "Oh, sorry... knocking people over... uhm, it's something of a bad habit I picked up during the war... I guess..."

He shuffles his feet as she heals him, thanking her politely, though somewhat awkwardly.

LittleCarp04
2012-02-16, 05:06 PM
Your group leaves the ruins and heads back to the Witch's Teat to regroup and make sense of what had happened. When they arrive they find Hrothgar back at the Teat contentedly drinking some ale and looking to be in a rather enjoyable mood. As they enter the barkeep motions them to the same table as Hrothgar and brings over a few drinks, "Anyone care for some food?"

Mr. X
2012-02-16, 10:08 PM
Jory slumps into a chair opposite Hrothgar. "Mutton, any way your serving it, and bottle of wine for the ladies."

To Hrothgar, he says, "How's the ale? I'm sort of sorry we went without you, you missed a fair bit of fun... Someone murdered that 'Laurin' guy and dropped a fire seed on the lot of us... You, fine sir, missed a chance to get blown up." He smiles, one soldier to another, and takes a long pull on his ale. "How was your evening?"

Calenestel
2012-02-17, 12:10 AM
Not bothering to sit down immediately the paladin looks to the innkeep with a slightly tired smile. "Thank you, goodman. But I'll have my room now and food once I've settled in which shouldn't take long. I'll have stew, as fresh bread as you have and ale. And a pitcher of water."

After picking up her key, if any, and instructions about which room was hers Ylva picks up her pack, again, and heads up to her room. Settling the haversack to the floor she then starts removing her armour. She was grateful she hadn't done so earlier. But it still felt weird to have sat downstairs in full armour previously.

Daftendirekt
2012-02-17, 12:44 AM
"It's no southern stout, but it's a fair vintage. You should try the glazed goose, it's decent," he speaks around a mouthful of the aforementioned meat, washing it down with a drink before wiping his mouth with the back of his forearm.

"Murder and fire, eh? Yeah, elven music sounds dreadfully boring compared to that. Sorry I missed it. Think we should set out before it happens again?"

userpay
2012-02-17, 01:19 AM
Cylirr politely declines the innkeeps offer of food though she gratefully accepts the wine when it does come. As she sits though it is with a sigh. "It twasn't the fire that did in Laurin either." She says quietly. "Though its unlikely the guards will notice that. At any rate unless someone has another source they wish to use perhaps it would be in our best interest to leave on the morrow."

Medic!
2012-02-17, 05:44 PM
Baryx

Baryx picks at the food, and quickly quaffs his wine. The sooner we're off the better. I'll be retiring to my room shortly, my advise is to be ready to fly at a moment's notice. At the latest we should be gone before sunrise. Baryx exchanges room locations with everyone, assuming they're willing, then heads to his room. Once there he locks the door, ensures his bed is out of line of sight of the window, and tries to get a few hours rest.

Calenestel
2012-02-18, 12:22 AM
As Baryx leaves the common room Ylva returns with a quip about "taking the second watch at the dinner table". She has refreshed herself, and "slipped into something more comfortable", which is simple clothing: A pair of pants in grey and a blue tunic with the hand of Torm embroidered over her heart and with a simple leather belt around her waist. Curiously she still carries her great sword on her back, without her mithril armour it looks somewhat out of place.
After picking up a tray with her food and drink she takes a seat with the rest of the troupe and looks about. "So... are we all set to leave on the morrow or do any of you need to pick up something?... Rations, protections from the cold, et cetera?"

Daftendirekt
2012-02-18, 12:44 AM
"I have everything I need," Hrothgar replies after swallowing another drink of ale. "Cold doesn't bother me, nor heat. I've ventured up to the peaks of the mountains, and down near the volcanic pools to find the richest veins of adamantine." He says this matter-of-factly, neither bragging nor prideful.

The brown-haired dwarf leans back in his chair comfortably, hands on his ample stomach, looking much more relaxed out of his heavy, severe metallic armor; instead he is clad in sturdy leather breeches, a dark green short-sleeved v-neck tunic -- which reveals a bit of his extremely hairy chest, although it is in turn hidden by his large beard -- and black knee-high leather boots.

"Still, I agree with being prepared. Best you all make sure before tomorrow. We don't want to reach the glacier and have somebody realize they forgot their undergarments," he says with a toothy grin and a loud laugh before downing the rest of his ale, slamming the empty tankard down on the table.

userpay
2012-02-18, 01:33 AM
Cylirr thinks for a moment. "I think I may have to refresh my spell materials. But other than that I believe I would be ready."

Mr. X
2012-02-18, 12:32 PM
"I've got rations for about a week and a half, if we need to stay out longer than that, I can hunt. Otherwise I'm ready to go."

He leans in conspiratorially to Hrothgar and speaks quietly to him. "The plot thickened a fair bit while we were out too. Seems someone else sent Laurin up the glacier looking for the Orb. They were the ones who put him down when he came back without it, more like than not. Baryx seems to think it wouldn't be hard for them to have the local guard in their pockets, so doubtless they're onto us too. We'll likely have to deal with them once we have the Orb... Provided the dragon doesn't do the job for them, that is."

LittleCarp04
2012-02-18, 03:21 PM
Morning didn't come soon enough when a young barmaid came to wake you before the sun had risen.

"You must awake, Girvas said you were to be gone as soon as possible. Someone has been spreading a rumor that you killed Laurin because he wouldn't give you the information you seek. Girvas is trying to quell the rumors but it would be good for you to be gone before the watch comes to get you and don't give you the option. There is a horse for each of you posted outside, and a small ladder to assist those who might have trouble getting up on the horses." She says with a slight smile to Hrothgar.

All your preparations are made and you depart the town to the south, at first few speak as you rush to distance yourselves. Pushing your borrowed mounts to their limits. After an hour or so you slo the pace and get into an easy rhythm, until you break for a meal, 20 miles closer to your destination than just a few hours ago. You stop at a nearby stream to have lunch...

Daftendirekt
2012-02-18, 03:24 PM
Hrothgar mutters angrily into his beard after the barmaid's comment, and stubbornly ignores the ladder as he struggles up onto his horse, nearly killing it under the combined weight of himself and his heavy armor. Once he is finally settled and the horse calmed down, he regains his composure and looks around, daring anybody to comment.

Later, when the group stops for lunch, he remains on his horse as he eats, not wishing to have to go through the same ordeal again.

Calenestel
2012-02-18, 06:13 PM
Unlike Hrothgar, Ylva seems to be in her element around horses. She arrives in the morning wearing only the chainmail and reinforced armour usually worn under plate, and her weapons of course, and does a thorough check of "her" horse. When she finds it of acceptable strength and endurance she fetches a pair of saddlebags, a small sack of fine cloth and a well made backpack and straps them to the horse. After that she mounts without a word, probably somewhat upset about having to flee the village without getting a chance to clear her name.

During lunch she eats quietly from a package of iron rations from a leather pouch and seems mostly lost in her own thoughts.

I'm not sure what the underlayer of a full plate would count as, it's reinforced clothing but over all reinforced in many places with chainmail. I would guess simple reinforced clothing, myself, but if the DM would like to advance it to equivalent of say... leather armour, I won't argue the point. :smallwink:

Also, I love the Called special ability from Magic Items Compendium. It allows me to have my character travel armoured more like travelling knights actually were (light) while still being ready for action almost instantly, which is often needed in DnD. :smallbiggrin:

Medic!
2012-02-18, 07:01 PM
Baryx

The bard flies with his new companions at all speed. When they stop for lunch he pulls a box of rations out of his pack, offering a full share to everyone. We should be far enough from town to slow our break-neck pace, but we'd best keep sharp eyes out. Is everyone well and feeling fit?

Mr. X
2012-02-19, 01:50 PM
Jory nuzzles his horse and let's it know him, before swinging up into his saddle and galloping out ahead of the party, bow in hand, to guard their retreat.

Know thy horse (Animal Handling, if it matters):[roll0]

Ride hands free, and don't fall off your horse! [roll1]

Once clear of the town, he'll keep pace with the rest untill the lunch break.

Dismounting he unrolls his own pack of rations, and chuckles amusedly as he eats.

"You know you're in good company when you've known each other less than a day, and already every fool with a sword is out to get you."

Daftendirekt
2012-02-19, 02:06 PM
"I'll be happier when we can abandon these infernal creatures," Hrothgar mutters, eyeing his mount evilly. "My own two feet have always served me well enough. These things are liable to bite, or run off in the wrong direction, or poop at the most inopportune time..."

The dwarf trails off, muttering distastefully for the duration of their lunch stop.

Mr. X
2012-02-19, 06:36 PM
"True, but I'll wager you'll be happy to have them when we're burdened with more treasure than we can drag." Jory replies.

Daftendirekt
2012-02-19, 06:41 PM
The burly dwarf fixes Jory with a steely gaze.

"I dunno, lad. I can drag quite a bit."

Finishing the last of his ration, he dusts the crumbs off of his hands and settles comfortably into his saddle, waiting for the rest of the group to finish so that they can continue their journey towards the glacier.

Mr. X
2012-02-20, 12:05 AM
"Aye, that I don't doubt." Jory replies to Hrothgar.

Turning to Baryx, he asks, "How is our progress, by the way? I am only learning these lands as we go. Are we to expect hours or days to reach this cave?"

userpay
2012-02-20, 12:18 AM
For the most part Cylirr stares into the distance as they travel, occasionally humming some tune or other. Even when they stop she doesn't pull out any food. When Baryx inquires she gives herself a small shake before turning to him. "Yes I am well. Quite honestly it almost feels like a typical day for me."

(ooc gonna edit spells and add a prepaided spell component pouch when myth-weavers goes back up...)

Calenestel
2012-02-20, 03:47 PM
Seeming rather invigorated by the food Ylva stows away the small bag of rations and instead produces a rather ordinary looking clay mug. After mumbling a word or two over it she smiles contentedly and draws a swig from the contents of the obviously enchanted mug and leans back to listen, and maybe speak a bit to her newfound companions.

LittleCarp04
2012-02-20, 08:24 PM
After taking a quick meal you resume your travels and fall into an easy pace. For the next few days, with the weather heading toward colder times, no one else is anywhere near the glacier and you don't spot another soul. You arrive at the base of the glacier about 2 hours from nightfall. There are remnants of an old camp up against a fallen tree and there is plenty of room for all you and your mounts against the felled trunk, and it should aid you in keeping the wind off you and the chill from getting to your bones.

Mr. X
2012-02-21, 12:19 AM
"I'll take the first watch, unless someone else wants it." Jory states, climbing down from his horse, and surveying the area for a good bow perch.

Calenestel
2012-02-21, 03:44 AM
"And I will take the last," Ylva replies, calmly. The last one, just as dawn broke, was the hardest one for most people. But she enjoyed watching the sun break the horizon and bathe the world in it's holy light. At times like that she could almost feel like a lathanderite herself... and that made her realize somthing. Turning to the half-drow she adds apologetically: "Unless you want it, of course, Cylirr. Or maybe we could honour your God together?"

Daftendirekt
2012-02-21, 04:57 AM
Hrothgar slides heavily off of his horse, the relief radiating from both he and his horse readily apparent. He drops his pack, shield, and hammer in a pile on the ground and digs an intricately decorated pewter mug out of the pack. He speaks a word, it fills up with ale, he chugs it, and lies down on the ground fully armored. He is asleep within minutes.

Go go restful crystal! :smallbiggrin:

Medic!
2012-02-21, 09:16 AM
Baryx

The bard dismounts, stretching his legs. He takes a deep breath, savoring the chill air. I'm afraid I'm not so good at taking watches, but I'll stand one if need be. Aside from that... He walks over to the slumbering dwarf and gives a pleasant chuckle. Feel free to have a bite to eat. I reccommend we all sleep within a few strides of yon tiny snoring boulder. He pulls a small crystal bead from his pouch and holds it between his thumb and forefinger. After a few minutes of singsong chanting the Spellscale flourishes and a dome the color of the surrounding ground forms around him. The bead is affixed to the apex of the dome, directly over his head, next to the dwarf. He opens his pack and retrieves his now-familiar box of travel rations and begins to eat.

The interior of the dome is warmly lit, but is dimmed and darkened as Baryx nods off to sleep.

OOC(ish):
Baryx casts Leomund's Tiny Hut, with the sleeping Dwarf in range. The opaque exterior is set to the same color as the surrounding ground. 15 ft diameter hemisphere with room for a total of 8, those inside can see out just fine, the temperature's pleasant, and the bard is cuddly!

userpay
2012-02-21, 11:20 AM
Cylirr smiles warmly at Ylva offer. "I would enjoy that. I'll also take the watch before it as well, I don't require much sleep to see my through the day."

Mr. X
2012-02-21, 11:30 PM
"Well, we've got a couple of hours before sunset, maybe I can bag us a rabbit or something before sundown. Let Nustrilaa demonstrate her mastery of the spit, eh?"

If no one objects, Jory will spend the next couple of hours hunting.

Survival: [roll0]
Spot: [roll1]

And if it's necessary,

Attack: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]

LittleCarp04
2012-02-21, 11:35 PM
Jory is able to find a few snow hares and Nustrilaa prepares them by cooking them over the open flame, she places a small pan underneath and uses the drippings to create a delicious sauce. Everyone decides to sleep in the conjured hut and escape the cold while you are able.

Come morning the fire is dead, but the weather seems to be calming rather than getting worse. Thanks to the directions Baryx was able to reference on the map you know it is only a 7 hour climb up to the cave entrance Laurin told you about.

Daftendirekt
2012-02-22, 01:41 AM
Hrothgar gets up the next morning, stretching as much as his heavy armor will allow before loading his gear back up. He hums as he gets ready, seeming quite refreshed. If anybody gives him weird looks for sleeping in full plate, he just shrugs, grins, and continues preparing. He struggles his way back up onto his horse and waits for the rest.

Once they set out, he'd ride in the lead, helmet on, hammer and shield at the ready now that they're approaching the glacier, of which dangerous stories abound.

Calenestel
2012-02-22, 02:32 AM
As Hrothgar rises Ylva is already standing watch outside, fully armed and armoured, giving the dwarf a knowing smile. Either the bearded warrior was especially tough, even for a dwarf, or he had procured an armour crystal like the one she often wore during nights. Not this night though, for once she had slept in comfort while on the road and while she didn't need it she enjoyed it. "Ready for going up?"

LittleCarp04
2012-02-22, 10:21 PM
The weather is oddly clear as you break camp, it is obvious that the path up the glacier is too steep and icy for the horses, but you can see the spot where the cave entrance was marked on the map, only six or seven hours of climbing required to get there.

Medic!
2012-02-22, 11:18 PM
Baryx

Baryx surveys the ascent, as though plotting out the best course to take up the Glacier. He pays particular attention to any routes where there are ledges that could be ran between in less than a minute.

If he finds any such areas Baryx tells the group, I can make this a little easier getting started, but I can't get us all the way up the easy way. Each pathway I craft will only remain for a heartbeat less than a full minute, so no dawdling!

If he finds no such areas A good clear morning for a climb. Be sure your gear is secure and don't rush your progress. It's going to be a long climb and the Glacier shows no mercy on account of expended strength.

OOC
If the cliff allows, Baryx will cast Dark Way (Spell Compendium) up to 4 times for moving from ledge to ledge. It can create a 5ft wide bridge at any angle with traction like a standard dungeon floor as long as it's anchored on two solid places. He can make each bridge up to 180ft long and each lasts up to 9 rounds. Each can support up to 1800 lbs at a time.

Mr. X
2012-02-23, 12:40 PM
Jory awakens shortly after Hrothgar. He chews on some rations before buckling on his leather armor.

Looking up the glacier face he says to Hrothgar,"Guess we'll be on our two legs after all."

From his pack, he withdraws a rope and grappling hook, coiling it loosely and hanging it from a hook on his belt for easy retrieval.

Daftendirekt
2012-02-23, 12:57 PM
Hrothgar sighs heavily in relief upon learning they'd be unable to continue on horseback up the glacier.

"My own two legs serve me just fine, thanks much!" he declares, patting his horse awkwardly before walking away from it. He also readies his rope and grappling hook, throwing the coiled bunch over one shoulder so it hangs diagonally across his chest, the hook at his hip.

Calenestel
2012-02-23, 03:56 PM
Stuffing her saddlebags into the obviously smaller cloth sack at her belt Ylva nods in agreement to the other's comments about climbing. "What do you think we should do about the horses? And do you think it'll be a straight climb or a tough one?"

Sorry for the horrible post. Too tired and beat up for anything better right now. I'll do better later, promise. But I didn't want to make you think I was forgetting about you either. :smalltongue:

Mr. X
2012-02-23, 04:35 PM
"If we turn the horses loose, no doubt they can find their own way back to their home. If we leave them tied up, though, they'll likely just become a meal for the wolves while we're away."

userpay
2012-02-24, 02:28 AM
As the sun rises Cylirr is there to greet it, her oddly long harp in hand. She spends some time quietly strumming as the bright orb rises higher and higher as if encouraging it. After awhile she rejoins the group proper though she doesn't put the long harp away. "I suppose that is a good point about the horses... Unless someone can find a hidden spot or ward them I think we'll have to let them loose."
When we begin climbing and the cold becomes a problem cast Endure Elements.

LittleCarp04
2012-02-24, 05:54 PM
The higher up the glacier the colder it is getting, precautions are made to ward the cold from everyone and the trek continues. After a few hours of climbing, and taking a detour off the obvious path to avoid a large tribe of snow goblins, everything seems to be going well.

The cave entrance is in sight, and is only maybe another hour climb away, when suddenly, in the distance you can hear the beating of wings carried on the wind.

Mr. X
2012-02-24, 08:57 PM
Jory assures his grappling hook is well fixed to the cliff face, and ties his rope to his belt. Squeezing between the crags of ice, he tries to hide as best he can, but withdraws his bow and nocks an arrow regardless, waiting for the creature to pass.

If this is even applicable:

Hide: [roll0]

And if the time comes,

Initiative: [roll1]

Daftendirekt
2012-02-24, 09:09 PM
Likwise securing his hook and rope, Hrothgar hefts his warhammer and grips his shield firmly in his left hand. He looks around suspiciously, waiting for the source of the sound to come into sight.

Only knowledge check I can make, in case it's relevant. Knowledge (Dungeoneering) [roll0]

Also, a Spot check [roll1]

LittleCarp04
2012-02-26, 09:24 AM
Everyone crouches against the ice and tries to stay still but also keep an eye out for what is on the wing. Suddenly, Hrothgar points subtly and motions to the others to a massive White Dragon, it looks to be nearly 50 ft long with a great wingspan, luckily it is far off and not heading directly toward you, but the stories Laurin said were true. That mighty beast calls this glacier home.

Daftendirekt
2012-02-26, 02:10 PM
"There's the lizard..." says Hrothgar excitedly to himself. "Best we get the rest of the way up this hunk of ice 'fore he comes 'round again. If we're to fight the beast, we best do it on solid ground, and not dangling from the side of an ice cube."

Following his own advice, he slips his hammer back into its loop, throws his shield onto his back, and starts climbing again, rope and hook in hand.

Calenestel
2012-02-26, 03:56 PM
Staring at the dragon with a look of awe on her face it takes a second or two for Ylva to really realize what Hrothgar said. When she does she shudders slightly at the thought of fighting a great wyrm like that in general, and on the side of a glacier in particular and nods emphatically. "Seconded. Let's be on our way before we meet our gods prematurely." Looking up the paladin then continues her climb alongside her companions.

Mr. X
2012-02-27, 12:18 AM
Jory nods his agreement, stows his bow, and continues his assent, cursing quietly whatever madness led him to accept this venture. He does not waiver, however, and presses on surely as the rest.

userpay
2012-02-27, 01:50 PM
Despite most likely the one struggling the most out of the group Cylirr forges on without complaint. Her long harp now stowed in its case. "One can hope that we won't have to deal with the beast."

Daftendirekt
2012-02-27, 02:06 PM
"Hope to not deal with it?" Hrothgar grunts out as he stretches for a particularly hard-to-reach handhold. "Where's the sense in that? We're adventurers! What is more adventurous than battling a great white wyrm for a magical sphere up on the pinnacle of a gigantic chunk of ice?"

He barks out a laugh, grinning excitedly to himself through his thick beard.

"Also, what good would stealing th' orb be if we leave an angry dragon behind to come after us and perhaps try and retrieve it?"

LittleCarp04
2012-02-28, 05:23 PM
After a hard climb and somewhat close call with the White dragon, the group reaches the plateau where the cave is located. It is about 75 ft wide and 60 ft from lip to cave mouth, but it narrows down to only 25 ft wide at the cave mouth. There is a magnificent view of the Galena mountains off to the left of the cave entrance, it is almost serene.

After a brief respite, everyone seems to actually start looking at the cave entrance and thinking about how best to approach their problem.

Shortly after, you hear a deep rumble that is sounding from within the glacier itself. Suddenly you hear a more noticeable noise, the sound of heavy footsteps running, and more than one pair.

A brutish roar erupts from the mouth of the first frost giant as he emerges from the shadows of the cave, his eyes lock onto the group and he pauses, from behind him 2 more giants come forth and smile viciously. The larger one removes his great axe from his back and motions to the others to spread out.

Ok so you guys can take some time to bask in the glory of the climb, obviously now may be a good time to mention any protective spells you keep on yourself above what is mentioned on your character sheets, and you guys should have one round before they actually attack you.

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k261/LittleCarp04/Dragondoom/cavefight.jpg

Mr. X
2012-02-29, 02:17 AM
Jory seems almost entranced, gazing out over the majestic view. When the giants appear, he turns, slipping his bow off his shoulder and nocking an arrow in a smooth, practiced motion... And waits for the official start of the battle...

Initiative (DM ignore this roll if you are rolling us all): [roll0]

Jory shall hold his action untill it is clear that diplomacy has either failed, or shall not take place.

Jory's Relevent Stats:

AC:22 (+6 Dex, +4 Armor, +2 Bracers of Armor)
Touch:18
Initiative: +6
Saves: +6 Fortitude, +12 Reflex, +4 Will

Action:(when my turn comes up)

Jory looses three arrows in quick succession, one at each giant...

A note on Trick Shots: trick shots deal standard attack damage in addition to their effects, unless otherwise noted in their descriptions.

Activate 'Rapid Shot' (-2attack bonus)

1st Shot:
[roll1]
[roll2]
Trick shot: Ranged Pin, Reflex Save DC:17. Spend 1 Focus.

2nd Shot: (Rapid Shot Bonus Attack)
[roll3]
[roll4]

3rd Shot:
[roll5]
[roll6]
Trick Shot: Ranged Pin, Reflex Save DC: 17. Spend 1 Focus.

Ranged Pin:
activation: attack action

If this attack hits, the struck foe must succeed on a Reflex save or be Immobilized for 1d6 rounds or until it takes a full-round action to remove the offending projectile, which deals the full damage dealt by the attack again.

Mr. X
2012-02-29, 02:24 AM
Ooh! Critical threats!

Critical Threats on the 1st and 3rd Shots:

1st Shot:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

3rd Shot:
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

Calenestel
2012-02-29, 03:34 AM
Climbing the glacier in full armour would have been an awful idea, she had no idea how Hrothgar made it, but as soon as she is up Ylva again utters the command word that summons her armour from it's resting place in her too small cloth sack. And as the shining suit of plate materializes around her she turns to look at the view. Glorious. Even without armour it had been a hard climb but it was very much worth it, the paladin decided as she looked out over the Galenas. Had she been a bard, or just had some poetic inclination she would have tried to put words to it. Now she just basked in the glory of the Realms.

Of course she never got much time enjoying the view. As things usually tend they are quickly interrupted by the approach of heavy feet and varily the tormite turns to look for the source of the rumble. When the first frost giant comes into view Ylva's hand flies to the hilt of her sword, when two more of the enormous creatures appear she mouths a silent prayer and draws her huge sword with surprising, even impossible, speed. With a soft, but menacing "whooompf" the blade immediately catches fire, flames licking it's entire length and even playing over her gauntleted hand, without burning or even sooting the mithril. With a quick glance to Hrothgar, to make sure she times her movement to act in concert with her dwarven companion, the paladin then lets out a great yell: "Torm and all goodly gods!" and slams her visor down, ready to move forward or hold her ground.

[roll0], or whatever the DM rolls. :smallwink:
Should Hrothgar act after Ylva she'll delay and let him go first. If he charges, she'll charge. If he waits and lets the giants come to him she'll do the same. Because she figures they'll work good together, but only if they actually pay attention to what the other do. :smalltongue:
In any case she'll use a Smite Evil on her first attack.

Preferably we'll concentrate on the closest giant.

[roll1] (+2 if charging)
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4] (again, possibly +2)
[roll5] (+8 for Smite? Rules are a bit obscure.)
Edit: Wow, that was underwhelming. :smallannoyed:

Also, I realized I didn't consider the implications of scaling a glacier in full armour and whether my character would do that or not. But since the DM didn't make us even roll for it, and since we weren't attacked I figured I'd just retcon it into something plausible and fitting. It's all fluff anyways now. :smallbiggrin:

Daftendirekt
2012-02-29, 05:24 AM
Hrothgar Fireheart (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=366009)
Male NG Earth Dwarf Barbarian 3, Fighter 2, Deepwarden 4, Level 9, Init +1, HP 121/121, DR 3/-, Speed 30 ft.
AC 30, Touch 16, Flat-footed 24, Fort +17, Ref +4, Will +8, Base Attack Bonus +9/+4
+1 Warhammer +15/+10 (1d8+6, x3)
Whirling Frenzy +15/+15/+10 (1d8+8, x3)
restful crystal (500gp) +2 Adamantine Full Plate, +2 Darkwood Heavy Shield (+10 Armor, +4 Shield, +6 Dex)
Abilities Str 20, Dex 12, Con 22, Int 15, Wis 14, Cha 11
Condition None

As Hrothgar pulls himself up onto the plateau, he can immediately tell something is off, although it is not immediately apparent what as he helps his teammates up the last bit. He looks around suspiciously as they admire the view, listening carefully, ignoring their comments on the beautiful landscape.

And then the rumbling grows louder, and he stares towards the cave entrance, understanding immediately. He slams his helmet firmly onto his head, pulls out his hammer and shield, and plants his heavily booted feet firmly. His mouth splits into a wide grin as he stares down the giants, the excitement of battle already coming over him.

"Kath nûar nak thor do mrook!" he calls out to the giants.
Dwarven
"Bring your pretty face to my hammer!"

Initiative [roll0]

Hrothgar will charge at the front left frost giant, full-attacking thanks to his Pounce ability.

At +2 for charging, but Power attacking for -2
Attack [roll1]
Damage [roll2]

Attack 2 [roll3]
Damage 2 [roll4]

Using Shock Trooper's Heedless Charge to apply Power Attack's negative to AC instead of Attack, bringing me to 26 AC (-2 for charging, -2 more for Power Attack)

userpay
2012-02-29, 04:53 PM
Cylirr smiles as she looks out on the view, breathing heavily. She was idly wondering how the vista would look bathed in the morning light when the heavy footsteps announced newcomers. Big newcomers. Turning Cylirr slides the long harp from her back in one easy motion and holds it low as she studies the giants.

As Hrothgar shouts at the giants Cylirr grimaces at whats said and sets her fingers to dance lightly upon her harp strings. An odd distortion following in their wake.

Cylirr would put Magic Vestment (+3) on when it seems likely a fight is coming up so that probably would have been soon after seeing the dragon.

init
[roll0]

Ready to shoot at a giant [roll1]
Perform check for damage [roll2]
If check is 20+ 1d8 [roll3]
If check is 30+ 1d10 [roll4]

LittleCarp04
2012-03-01, 10:26 PM
Ok so Medic hasnt posted and I assume whoiam is still away for now, so i will NPC them, I will roll initiative here for the upcoming combat, but you all have one round as a "surprise" round if you will.

Initiative:
Jory [roll0]
Baryx [roll1]
Nustrilaa [roll2]
Ylva [roll3]
Cylirr [roll4]
Hrothgar [roll5]

Giants:
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]

The giants stop and look at you curiously as if unsure if they are to attack or not, one of them reaches up and holds his necklace and mumbles some words under his breath and off in the distance you hear a ferocious roar.

It can only be the wyrm, it will be back rather soon.

Daftendirekt
2012-03-02, 12:12 AM
Sweet, I like your init roll for Hrothgar better than mine. Well, I already rolled his round, so, go look at that :smalltongue:

Mr. X
2012-03-02, 04:07 PM
Jory's surprise action shall remain unchanged as well.

LittleCarp04
2012-03-02, 05:06 PM
Yeah I will be making the full action rounds leaving it back at your turn again this evening, was really hopign medic would chime in :/

LittleCarp04
2012-03-03, 08:18 AM
When the giants come to a halt, no one wastes any time, Hrothgar and Ylva start charging the giant on the left immediately, as they are running, Hrothgar yells out at the giants in Dwarven, the look of hatred on their face is simply hard to explain.

Jory draws and looses three arrows in the blink of an eye, the first arrow lands firmly in the chest of the first giant, right next to his heart, he grimaces in obvious pain but is still ready to fight. The second arrow glances barely missing the back giant, and the third arrow hits the giant in what appears to be a nerve center because he is unable to move for the moment.

Just as the arrows land home, Hrothgar and Ylva land furious blows on the left most giant, Hrothgar's warhammer is landing with solid thumps and the slight sound of bones cracking, he lands two solid blows and draws the brutes attention, but before it can respond in kind, Ylva chops at the giant with her sword aflame. Her attack lands directly in its side and it hunches over actually beginning to feel some pain.

Cylirr plays upon her harp and a bolt of what appears to be sound blasts forth to pound the same giant even further, Baryx draws his rapier, which turns into a small bow, and he draws and fires an arrow which begins to crackle with electricity, the arrow lodges itself in the leg of the giant, he grimaces in pain again but doesn't seem like he is truly hurt by that attack.

Nustrilaa gathers magical energy around herself and casts forth 2 fiery beams that sear into the far right giant, the one that appears to be immobilized by Jorys attack.

Ok so damage total:
On the far left giant:
He has taken 101 damage, and has 32 hp remaining.
The rear giant has yet to take any damage.
On the far right giant:
He has taken 47 damage and has 86 hp remaining.

Baryx simply used his swordbow to shoot a shocking arrow at the first giant, Nustrilaa cast Scorching Ray (2 rays at 4d6 damage) at the right giant.

Go ahead and post your actions, Hrothgar goes first, then the left giant goes then Jory and Cylirr then the other 2 giants, then Nustrilaa Baryx and Ylva

Daftendirekt
2012-03-03, 12:21 PM
Male NG Earth Dwarf Barbarian 3, Fighter 2, Deepwarden 4, Level 9, Init +1, HP 121/121, DR 3/-, Speed 30 ft.
AC 30, Touch 16, Flat-footed 24, Fort +17, Ref +4, Will +8, Base Attack Bonus +9/+4
+2 Adamantine Full Plate, +2 Darkwood Heavy Shield (+10 Armor, +4 Shield, +6 Dex)
Condition None

Seeing the giant shrinking away from their relentless assault, Hrothgar steps up, swinging his hammer viciously again and again. The light of battle fury glimmers in the dwarf's eyes; he seems to be in his element now.

Full Attack, and I shall Power Attack for -4.

Attack #1 [roll0]
Damage#1 [roll1]

Attack #2 [roll2]
Damage #2 [roll3]

My AC is back up to 30.

LittleCarp04
2012-03-03, 12:35 PM
Hrothgar continues his relentless assault, slamming his hammer home again, he tries for a third strike but the giant seems to be getting ready for the combat and knocked his hammer out of the path slightly.

He rears his massive axe up and swings at Hrothgar but the dwarf intercepts the attack with his hammer almost easily, and deflects the blow.

Giant on left attack info:
Greataxe attack:[roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

The giant has 19 hp remaining

Calenestel
2012-03-03, 12:35 PM
Like the heavily armoured dwarf she's fighting beside Ylva can almost feel the giant in front of her giving, this one didn't have much left and while she pittied it in a way the risk of a dragon falling over them overshadowed any concern for their enemies. Grimly she pressed on, striking at the dying giant, ready to move on to the next as soon as this one fell.

Full attack, but no Smite Evil this time.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]

Should the first giant fall before my turn I'll probably move on to the next enemy, probably the giant on the right.

Mr. X
2012-03-03, 08:15 PM
Jory takes a moment to focus on the rear giant before loosing another series of arrows...

Again, activate Rapid Shot(-2 attack)...

Note on Criticals:Jory's Crit-range with a Longbow is 18-20, due to his 'Critical Precision' class feature (+1 Crit range), and the 'Improved Critical(Longbow) feat(also +1 Crit range).

Shot 1, vs rear giant:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3] (1d8+13, x2)
Trick Shot: Ranged Pin, Technique of the Adept(Focus cost =9, Save DC+4). Spend 9 Focus, reflex save DC:21.

Shot 2, rapid shot bonus attack, vs. right hand Giant:
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]

Shot 3, vs Right hand Giant:
[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]
[roll11]

userpay
2012-03-03, 10:50 PM
Cylirr's eyes narrow as she considers the giants for a moment after hearing the roar then nodding at some thought. "If it knows we're here I suppose there is no need to be subtle." She runs a hand along the long harp's strings before raising it calling upon her deity. The already shining sun at her neck throbs as a roaring pillar of flame touches down amongst the giants in answer.
Casting Flame Strike from domain slot. Trying to catch as many of the giants as possible without hitting any party mates obviously.
[roll0]

LittleCarp04
2012-03-04, 04:26 PM
Jory lets loose three more arrows, the first strikes cleanly into the rear giant causing him to be rooted into place similar to the giant on the right. The second arrow barely glances off the giant on the right missing him, but the third follows immediately, burrowing itself to the feathers in the giants chest.

Cylirr strums her harp once more but rather than an attack coming from the weapon/instrument itself, a great blast of fire rains down from the heavens, engulfing all three giants in the holy fire dealing. The far left giant falls and burns half to ash under the onslaught, the other two are gravely injured with their clothing, what little they wear, engulfed in flames.

The rear giant turns and unleashes a attack aimed at Ylva that hits solidly and she nearly buckles under the force of the blow.

While the far right most giant attempts to take a step but fails because of Jory's attack, and he takes a moment to rip out the arrow that is keeping him rooted, but as he does he may have tore an artery because blood begins pumping wildly from the wound, and before he can take any further action he collapses in a pool of his own blood.

Ylva attacks the rear most giant visciously with her original target destroyed, and she lands two strong attacks which seem to seriously wound the giant.

Baryx looses another arrow at the rear giant, the only opponent standing, it lands solidly but doesnt seem to have much effect on the brute though he is waning under the combined onslaught of the group.

Nustrilaa sees that the giant is nearly down and sends a volley of magic missles at him hoping that will put him down for good before the dragon arrives.

Giant attack vs Ylva:
[roll0]
damage:
[roll1]

Baryx vs Giant:
[roll2] Hit
[roll3] Arrow dmg
[roll4] Shocking dmg

If needed:
Magic Missle Dmg
[roll5]

Rear giant has 2 hp remaining :/

LittleCarp04
2012-03-04, 05:25 PM
Just as you make preparations to finish off the last giant, you see a large shadow cross over the ice, and the massive white dragon lands directly between yourselves and the cave entrance, he crushes the last giant under his bulk. Ylva and Hrothgar barely escape being crushed. The Dragon looks upon you with a furious gaze, he spots Hrothgar and attempts to bite at him. He grabs Hrothgar in his jaws and presses hard with incredible strength. You can hear Hrothgars impressive armor creaking under the pressure of the force being applied.

The dragon drops hrothgar and turns to face all of you, it appears he is getting ready to use his breath weapon...
Just then you hear a rumble in the ice and the distance sound of a large bit of ice being broken, the dragon turns his head toward the cave and ***** his head to the side almost as if listening to something.

Then he runs full speed into the cave and disappears down the back of the cave.

Dragon Bite attack:
[roll0]
Dmg:
[roll1]

Dragons initiative for further rounds (not really needed at the moment, not sure why i rolled it tbh[roll2]

Daftendirekt
2012-03-05, 12:37 AM
Male NG Earth Dwarf Barbarian 3, Fighter 2, Deepwarden 4, Level 9, Init +1, HP 104/121, DR 3/-, Speed 30 ft.
+2 Adamantine Full Plate, +2 Darkwood Heavy Shield (+10 Armor, +4 Shield, +6 Dex)
Condition None

Groaning, Hrothgar gets back up on his feet, spending no time lamenting the marks in his armor and immediately charges into the cave after the dragon, shouting in Dwarven and brandishing his warhammer.

Mr. X
2012-03-05, 12:46 AM
"After him!" Jory cries, charging forward as the dragon races off, "Something else must be at the Orb!"

Hoping the rest of the party follows his lead, Jory sprints after the dragon as fast as he can, trying to keep line of sight on the creature, and trying to ensure that, in his headlong dash, he steps only in places the dragon steps before(as best he can).

If it's relevant,
[roll0]

Calenestel
2012-03-05, 01:48 AM
As the dragon lands Ylva barely avoids the last giant's fate but when she turns she finds no joy in the fact. They were not prepared. They had no tactics and didn't know each other well enough to properly improvise one and the dragon was simply too huge for them unless they minimized it's strengths and optimized their own. Here, on this icy ledge... it was impossible. Never the less, the tormite didn't give up. She might despair, but she would not surrender. She'd die unless she was very, very lucky. But as the dragon clamps it's fangs down on Hrothgar, easily putting him out of the fight for the time being she decides she was going to make sure that her death meant something.
"Run away!" she yelled at her friends, gripping her sword tight and taking half a step forward, clearly revealing her intent about following her own order. Then the dragon drops the dwarf and draws a deep breath, and she knew what was to come. But as she opens her mouth to yell at her friends to flee before it was too late the dragon suddenly... stops. Surprised the paladin stops too. What was happening?
When the white wyrm turns to... not flee... to search something else, more pressing, out (and not even considering Ylva and her friends a threat necessary to erradicate first) she slumps in both relief and in the first acknowledgment of her own pain. "Hrothgar do you need..."
No, the stubborn dwarf runs off, following the dragon and the rest of the party already seemed to follow suit. Sighing she instead uses the magic she had intended for the fighter on herself, mostly healing her wounds . Prudently she decides to save some of her stored energy for an emergency and then she's off after her friends. Running as fast as she can and thankful that her beautiful suit of plate was made of mithril. Had it been of adamantite like Hrothgar's she'd never be able to keep up.

Lay on hands, using 19 of 24 points (including the three points only useable on tormites from Divine Champion)

whoiam
2012-03-06, 03:30 AM
Nustrilaa

"After him? ** that!" Normally a rather well-spoken individual, Nustrilaa's civility eroded rather rapidly at the thought of chasing an angry yet uninjured dragon into its lair. She'd go as far as the cave mouth where the dragon had landed, but she wasn't just running inside.

"You want to charge blindly after a dragon... that's easily faster than us... into the dragon's cave... which it knows perfectly and we've never seen before... and is probably trapped or defended in ways that the dragon can bypass and we cannot... while the Dragon knows we're here... and without any idea of how we'd take it down if we did catch it?"

Having reached the cave mouth, she paused a moment, trying to work out a pleasant way of finishing her comments...

"I mean... is your armor thinking for you? I can't believe you'd think this was a good idea for *you*, let alone for those of us who aren't melee fighters in heavy armor..."

...turns out, she failed. On the plus side, though... she was now feeling much better about Hrothgar, Jory and Ylva's impetuousness.

userpay
2012-03-06, 11:48 AM
As Cylirr comes up alongside Nustrilaa she slows and shrugs. "It might not be the best idea given the circumstances. But think on if we manage to catch the dragon while its confronting the other threat to its home." Then she is off following the others.

LittleCarp04
2012-03-07, 08:26 AM
As the dragon dashes through the rear of the cave it rounds a curve into a small tunnel and Jory passes Hrothgar and sees that already the cave splits left and right. Which way will you take?

Mr. X
2012-03-07, 12:14 PM
A slippery devil, that dragon is, if he can fit through here... Jory absently flexes his burned fingers, listening for a moment before continuing.

Action:

[roll0]

If I can hear the dragon's progress down one of the shafts, I'll follow, and drop an arrow pointing the correct direction.

If not, I'll look for other tracks or traces of its passing, as a means of following...

[roll1]
[roll2] (I don't have the 'Track' feat, however.)

If I've still got nothing, I'll hold up and wait for the rest of the party.

LittleCarp04
2012-03-07, 05:23 PM
Jory stops and listens intently at the split, at first all he can hear is Hrothgar trudging up behind him in his heavy armor, but then he also hears a deep growling sound that can only be the dragon barely audible. He looks to the floor for clues on which side it is coming from and sees slightly fresh ice scrapings from what may be the dragons claws heading down the right fork.

Mr. X
2012-03-07, 08:27 PM
Jory drops an arrow, pointing right, and sprints off down the right hand path, trying to keep up with the dragon, or at least gain some idea of where it is heading...

Here's hoping the passage isn't trapped too much...

If I feel like I'm about to run into a room full of more Giants, I'll stop, hide, and then sneak around a bit to try and get an idea of the situation...

Here's some rolls, ignore any you don't need:

Search[roll0], -whatever the penalty for sprinting is(will likely fail).

Reflex[roll1], if I need it for some reason.

Spot[roll2], see anything...

Listen[roll3], hear anything...

Hide [roll4], if needed.

Move Silent[roll5], if needed.

Edit/: ouch...

Daftendirekt
2012-03-08, 12:25 AM
At the fork, Hrothgar slides to a halt, boots scraping heavily against the ground. He kneels down, examining the ground carefully. He rubs his gauntleted fingers over the ground, tasting them. Looking around with his darkvision-enhanced eyes, he tries to determine which way the dragon went.

Survival check to utilize Track, following the dragon.

[roll0]

LittleCarp04
2012-03-08, 07:24 PM
Soon enough Hrothgar and Jory both arrive at a end of the tunnel that opens into a large cavern, it is roughly a 55ft square, possibly narrowing on the far side, but you see 2 other tunnels leading off from it, one directly ahead and the other to the left side.

The cavern appears to not be natural due to the nearly perfect corners, and that the tunnel openings are very similar in size. Each is about 15ft wide and about 10 ft high.

The markings Hrothgar is tracking make it seem that the dragon crossed directly through the cavern and into the cave facing away from where you are.

Daftendirekt
2012-03-09, 12:14 AM
Hrothgar looks at the human archer next to him, nods affirmatively and heads into the cave, hammer and shield held at the ready and eyes and ears open, trying to locate the lizard -- which, hopefully, wouldn't be too hard.

Spot [roll0]
Listen [roll1]

Calenestel
2012-03-09, 12:36 AM
Clanking on behind, not being as sturdy as a dwarf meant being slowed down by armour, Ylva notices the arrow dropped by Jory and follows it, immediately guessing it's purpose. She didn't like the ruckus she was making, but as long as Hrothgar was ahead of her she wasn't betraying their presence to anyone.

Mr. X
2012-03-09, 12:36 AM
Jory returns Hrothgar's nod, and holds back, nocking an arrow to cover the dwarf's progress, and awaits the rest of the party.

LittleCarp04
2012-03-09, 08:40 PM
As Hrothgar moves across the middle of the cave, the rest of the party catches up to where Jory is covering him, as he is a little past the mid point, a slight rumble can be felt and a Huge Ice worm tears free from the ice right to the left of Hrothgar. The worm wastes no time getting a measure of the group and immediately attacks Hrothgar trying to bite him in his jaws. He barely misses the dwarf, the worms face smashes into the ice, and he roars in anger. Heat begins to burst forth from its back and it turns to look at the rest of the group standing near the cave entrance.

Heres an updated battle map:
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k261/LittleCarp04/Dragondoom/worm1-1.png

Worms attack:
[roll0]
Damage:[roll1]

LittleCarp04
2012-03-09, 08:51 PM
Groups initiative:
Jory: [roll0]
Ylva: [roll1]
Cylirr: [roll2]
Hrothgar: [roll3]
Baryx: [roll4]
Nustrilaa: [roll5]

Worm:
[roll6]

Calenestel
2012-03-10, 12:23 AM
"Spread out!" Ylva calls to her new found friends while she's still only half-aware of what they're up against. Some kind of giant, iceburrowing worm. But this one seemed to harness heat. She wasn't an expert on the monsters inhabiting the glacier, but she could guess that the creature had some kind of fire-breath. That would be problematic, very much so, in an ice cavern and they needed to split up so that it wasn't as tempted to use any such ability, dooming them. The question then became... was it immune to the fires of her blade? With a quick, silent command she again makes her greatsword catch fire with a deep "whoompf". "Let's not give it a big nice target!"
True to her word the paladin starts to advance, going straight for the worm while still moving slightly to the left. Maybe she could work her way around it and flank it...

Let's hope I can charge it. Otherwise I won't be able to hit it this turn. :smallwink:

Fullround action (if possible): Charge to the lower left corner of the iceworm:

[roll=Attack]1d20+16[roll]
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

If I can't charge: Move into flanking position for Hrothgar, running if necessary, while avoiding AoOs as much as possible.

Mr. X
2012-03-10, 03:32 PM
Without hesitation Jory moves to fill Ylva's stratagem, splitting off from the group and springing westward as he draws his shot, over-stretching the pull to give added power to the shot...

Jory moves 4 squares Left(west) as a move action.

Ranged Power Attack (-5 attack, +5 Damage)
Inside 30ft: Point-Blank Shot: +1 Attack, +1 Damage

Attack:[roll0]
Trickshot: Hawkeye--> spend 3 Focus
Damage: [roll1] +6(?)

I'm not sure if Hawkeye stacks with any of my other feats... If you rule that it does not, I'll forgo the Power Attack, and add +5 to my attack result.

Hawkeye:
Activation Time: 1 standard action

As part of this trick shot, make a Spot check. If your attack hits, it inflicts the result of your Spot check as piercing damage in place of any damage your attack would otherwise have dealt.

userpay
2012-03-11, 12:54 PM
Cylirr steals towards the corner of the room, hand outstretched as she calls upon Lathander once more. From her hand a bolt of what seems like sunlight streaks out towards the worm.
Moving east towards the corner. Sacking Bewildering Substitution for Sun Bolt (Shining South). Ranged touch attack, if hit it's blinded for one round (reflex dc 17) and if it saves no blindness, however it has to make an additional save vs blindness (reflex dc 17) for another round from Blinding Radiance class feature which if it saves vs that its dazzled.
[roll0]
[roll1]

whoiam
2012-03-11, 01:01 PM
Nustrilaa

The wizard fulfils her part of the 'spread out' strategy by remaining at the entrance (since everyone else was charging into the room), and desperately going through her studies in her mind to try and decide what she'd cast at the worm...

Insert Knowledge (Nature) results here

Daftendirekt
2012-03-11, 01:31 PM
Male NG Earth Dwarf Barbarian 3, Fighter 2, Deepwarden 4, Level 9, Init +1, HP 104/121, DR 3/-, Speed 30 ft.
Condition None

Hrothgar stolidly stays his ground as the massive wurm bursts forth from the ice, and snarls at it, gripping his hammer tightly. Taking a step back, he leaps forth, hammer held high over his head as he sails through the air, seeking to bring it crashing down on the highest part of the wurm he could reach.

5-foot step to the right, bringing him 10 feet away from the wurm.

Just enough to do a Leap Attacking charge. Jump Check DC 20 to do a 10-foot standing long jump. [roll0]

Power Attacking for all 9, utilizing Shock Trooper to put the neg in my AC. Assuming I make the jump check for Leap Attack, so PAing for 9 gives me +18 to damage (leap attack doubles power attack bonus damage). Full-attacking due to Pounce.

Attack #1 [roll1]
Damage #1 [roll2]

Attack #2 [roll3]
Damage #2 [roll4]

My AC is currently 21.

And just think what he could do if he was two-handing it :smallbiggrin:

Daftendirekt
2012-03-11, 01:32 PM
Damage #2 [roll0] I accidentally did 1d20 for my 2nd damage roll.

EDIT: ...I get the same result. LOL.

LittleCarp04
2012-03-11, 05:45 PM
The worm rears back for another attack at Hrothgar, biting down furiously at the dwarf. He connects and Hrothgar takes a vicious hit.

The group wastes no time in taking action, Ylva rushes at the beast, and lands a vicious strike with her Fiery blade.

Nustrilaa takes a moment to consider the nature of the beast and realizes this can only be a Remorhaz, the worms that the Glacier were named after. It is rather obvious considering the heat radiating from the back of the creature and the ease at which it burrowed through the ice.

Hrothgar takes a step back and leaps up landing barely under the head of the beast and landing two incredible strikes on the beast. It is clearly hurting the creature.

Jory launches a arrow directly into the beasts face that drops it to the ground and it writhes in its last throes of life.

Cylirr was prepared to cast a spell but didn't feel the need. Baryx was focusing more on the cave and making sure they didn't get ambushed by the dragon or any other creatures.

The beast dies with no further aggression, the way is clear and you can choose which exit you want to take.

Ylva: I rolled your attack since you did the code wrong. You got a 21 so you hit also.
Worm attack:
[roll0]

Calenestel
2012-03-12, 01:45 AM
Heaving a sigh of relief at the quick end to the battle Ylva extinguishes her greatsword with a thought and a, unneccessary, flick with the blade. After returning the sword to it's scabbard on her back she looks about. "Good work, everyone. Hrothgar, are you seriously injured?"
The paladin raises her visor and grins at the group, a friendly and comfortable grin on her lips. This was good. Her discussion with the group's wizard down in the town had disturbed her, but here there were no grey tones. There were monsters and evildoers like this worm and the frostgiants. Not to mention the dragon. It wasn't exactly easy, but it was simple and she needed that to soothe her own doubts.

Daftendirekt
2012-03-12, 01:54 AM
Hrothgar looks at the shallow bite-marks in the left shoulderplate of his armor, the only evidence of the massive beast's attack on the extremely durable metal. Then he works his shoulder in its socket a few times before responding, taking time to slip his hammer back into its loop on his belt.

"A little soreness. Healing would be appreciated, but is not at all necessary. I must say, I was expecting the battle to last longer than that. I didn't even go all-out on that wurm. I'm saving my real heat for the dragon."

As he speaks, he looks around to try and find traces of the lizard's passage -- made difficult by so much of the chamber being utterly destroyed by the Remorhaz.

Mr. X
2012-03-12, 10:44 AM
Jory moves forward, drawing a dagger from his belt, and carving off one of the worm's appendages.

For DM
How big are the worm's appendages?

LittleCarp04
2012-03-12, 12:24 PM
They are about 3'-4' long, with a joint in the middle.

Mr. X
2012-03-12, 03:45 PM
Jory ties the limb to his pack in silence, before moving with Hrothgar and searching for the dragon's trail.

[roll0]

Daftendirekt
2012-03-12, 03:51 PM
Yeah,I guess I should do a survival check as well, for Track.

[roll0]

Calenestel
2012-03-13, 03:03 AM
At first Ylva looks in askance at Jory as he cuts of an appendage from the remhoraz, not sure why one would take such a grizzly trophy. But then she realizes that the town had actually taken to giving bounties for the killing of iceworms. Obviously this was what they had killed and the man was making sure to collect proof. Fair enough.
Feeling slightly silly for forgetting that part, and for doubting her friend, the paladin waits patiently for those more skilled to look for dragon tracks.

LittleCarp04
2012-03-13, 07:08 PM
The claw marks, what can still be seen of them after the destruction the worm caused, clearly point the way toward the far tunnel entrance. It does appear that the left entrance has been used frequently in the past as there are many deep gouges in the ice caused by the dragons passage over years of time.

Daftendirekt
2012-03-13, 11:19 PM
Noting the dragon's traces, Hrothgar waves the party near. Once they gather around, he looks them seriously in the eye, one by one, sizing them up. Hands on his hips, he nods before speaking.

"So, are we all good for this? We're chasing after a mighty large dragon, and it will try and kill us. I'm hopin' none of you have suddenly lost your nerve."

Mr. X
2012-03-14, 01:33 AM
Jory laughs, but cuts off sharply, trying to swallow the sound as he realizes Hrothgar's question is a serious one... He gives an apologetic eye to the rest of the party, and shrugs. He's clearly willing to continue the chase, or call it off, as the rest of the party chooses.

userpay
2012-03-14, 01:33 PM
As the worm goes down Cylirr lowers her hand and shrugs. Twas better to save ones magic anyway. Instead she walks over to Hrothgar and hums a quick and gentle song, her hand glowing white as she lays it on his wounded shoulder. "If we stop now then for what did Laurin die for? I think we understood the risks when we decided to undertake this task." She smiles. "That said does anyone else require healing or more of it?"
Sack Bewildering Substitution for Cure Moderate Wounds on Hrothgar.
[roll0]

Calenestel
2012-03-14, 02:34 PM
"I didn't come here just to turn back when our path turned tough," Ylva adds, a friendly smile and tone softening the harsh words. "I'd suggest that we try and find that orb before tackling the dragon, if it's at all possible. But that's just prudence."
She doesn't ask for healing for the small scratch that remains from the previous battle with the giants, that would mend itself the rest of the way and needed no magical aid. Instead she waits for everyone to finish their preparations so that they could delve further into the ice caverns.

Daftendirekt
2012-03-14, 02:34 PM
Hrothgar bows to the dark-skinned elf as she mends his wounds, rotating his shoulder in its socket as he feels the bruises melt away. Murmuring a word of thanks to Cylirr, he looks around at the group again.

"Excellent. Let's continue on then, and show this wyrm what-for. Thing can't hardly be tougher than this wurm here, can it?" he says with a toothy grin, stroking his beard.

whoiam
2012-03-14, 07:23 PM
"I certainly hope that was a joke, " Nustrilaa told Hrothgar, in a manner that suggests she probably didn't have any sense of humour with which to judge such things.

"I'm still happy to explore the cave - and while not exactly thrilled at the prospect of fighting a dragon, at least willing to make the attempt - but again, I have to stress just how bad an idea I think a high speed chase through this cave system is. If we think following the Dragon is our best chance of finding that orb? Then fine. Just... cautiously. I doubt that worm is the only obstacle in our path, after all, and we don't earn any reward if we don't get out of here alive."

Nustrilaa also didn't ask for healing, although that's because her position at the back of the party through the last two battles meant she hadn't taken any injuries since being singed by the fireball back in town...

LittleCarp04
2012-03-14, 07:52 PM
I will make this post assuming you chose to go down the tunnel entrance the dragon followed, the one directly across. I was hoping you guys would just say, ok lets do down this tunnel. I will edit in my post in a bit.(hopefully)

Mr. X
2012-03-14, 08:16 PM
"In either case, the dragon's far enough ahead of us that speed is no longer a relevant factor..." He turns to Hrothgar and gestures down the northern path, "Carefully then, after you, sir."

LittleCarp04
2012-03-14, 11:24 PM
As you enter the tunnel, you hear the sound of ice breaking, knowing what that might entail. You pause for a moment, and listen. The sound is distant, but the dread is near. You continue forward. The going is easier than expected, years of the dragon and possibly the worms slithering their way through here has polished the ice into a smooth, translucent mirror. The suns rays penetrate through the ice illuminating the glacier as a whole, although not enough to see past the shimmering walls of the tunnel.

After an hour or so, you hear another sound which gives you pause; a roar louder than any noise you've heard before, save for the first time you heard it as you fought perilously on a cliff-side. This time however, the sound reverberated through the tunnels surrounding you in its cacophony. Yet another roar came, this however from something else. A worm perhaps, similar to the last. Although, as you hear it, the sound is bigger, deeper, more determined.
The sounds continue, but do not dissuade you, and you carry on, set in your resolve to see the mission through. A few minutes of walking and you hear a final roar, indistinguishable, fade in the distance. Silence.
As you descend deeper into the glacier, the only sound you hear above your breath is the howling wind. The deeper you go, the more the light fades, until it reaches a dull glow. After about 2 hours, you hear the fall of rocks, no... ice, around a corner. You stop to listen, taking a knee to further conceal yourselves. How that helps with semi translucent walls, you don't know, but it's the normal thing to do.

You hear nothing, but remain cautious. Stepping deliberately to what may be the end of the tunnel. As you peer forward you stand at the entrance to a vast cavern in the ice. Perhaps an ancient air bubble which over time has been carved out to be larger and larger as it's occupant need more room. At first glance you see a room full of treasure, glistening in the dull light of the cavern walls. It's almost breath taking until something more sinister catches your eyes. In the center of the room, lay a beaten and bloody mass... The dragon. Surrounding it lay the bodies of several worms just like the one you fought. There must be half a dozen if not more. One of you counts a total of 8, but alas, one was split in two.

The gore from the battle wreaks of putrid death, strewn about the room; intermingled with the treasure that no doubt was the dragons hoard. You enter the cavern cautiously scrutinizing the scene. You notice holes in the walls, tunnels you think at first, however they're much smaller than the one you used for passage; they're worm holes. Finally you notice one descending from the ceiling, one twice the size if not larger than the other holes. You don't see evidence of what could have made that one.

Daftendirekt
2012-03-14, 11:59 PM
"...Well. This is an unexpected turn," Hrothgar says simply, a grim look coming over his face as he pulls his warhammer back out and steels himself for imminent combat, knowing that things were most likely about to get very difficult.

Mr. X
2012-03-15, 01:47 AM
Jory gapes at the massacre, his readied arrow hanging limply in his hand...

"Curses..." he whispers in awe, "...By all the gods, look at that..."

Calenestel
2012-03-16, 01:57 AM
Shaking her head in disbelief the paladin stands in silent awe as the rest voice their shock openly. Ye gods, indeed! How big must a worm like that be?
Finally, after what seems like a small eternity she adds openly. "I guess we should look for that orb, right? Let's stay close to each other, in case we run into any more worms."
Like Hrothgar she draws her blade, but she doesn't call the flames into existence just yet.

Daftendirekt
2012-03-16, 02:31 AM
Keeping his eyes and ears peeled, Hrothgar leads the way into the vast chamber of treasure and terror. His helmeted head is constantly moving back and forth as his eyes -- robbed of much of their peripheral vision by the helm -- scan for whatever could so easily take down the dragon. If it could do that, then a bunch of puny things like them would be a walk in a meadow. At the same time, he keeps his eyes open for particularly shiny pieces of loot.

Spot [roll0]
Listen [roll1]

And a 2nd Spot if you want, for the treasure. [roll2]

userpay
2012-03-16, 12:13 PM
"Perhaps someone may have gotten here before us." Whereas the others kept their eyes peeled for others Cylirr had her eyes on the scene itself, the creatures and the surroundings, in an attempt to figure out what might have happened here. To facilitate such she mummers a plea to her god for knowledge.
Casting Lore of the Gods, then making knowledge checks in an attempt to figure out what I can.
arcana [roll0]
dungeoneering [roll1]
nature [roll2]
religion [roll3]
the planes [roll4]
spot [roll5]
listen [roll6]

LittleCarp04
2012-03-17, 08:34 AM
The chaos of the battle is evident everywhere throughout the room. As you walk around cautiously searching for the orb, Cylirr takes a moment to try commune with Lathander to try to determine what may have happened.

For Cylirr:
You cast a plea to Lathander to grant you aid to see what happened here, and suddenly the chaos clears and it becomes obvious to you.

As the dragon landed and attacked Hrothgar, a worm must have broken into its lair and set off further alarms which caused the dragon to race off. When it arrived it found a number of worms in the lair and started battling them, a worm by itself should not have been able to put up any fight against the immense dragon, but then the Worm for which this glacier was named came into the battle. That is the one who must have made the large hole up top, it appears as if the massive worm fell directly upon the dragon and caused major damage to the dragon, but based on the amount of blood and 2 torn legs larger than the others, it seems the dragon did not give up.

Eventually the dragon was defeated by the Great Worm and relinquished its grip on life. It seems the worm retreated possibly to a lair of its own. But it may very well return at any time.

Cylirr is rocked by a blast of knowledge directly from the lips of her god and takes a moment to recover from the influx of it.

Hrothgar, Jory, Ylva, Baryx, and Nustrilaa are searching the room slowly looking for the orb, but everything is scattered and it isn't immediately visible, it may take a more thorough search of the room to reveal the location of the orb. The room is eerily quiet except for small peices of ice falling from the massive hole in the ceiling. No enemies are in sight and it seems that the worms have had their fill of attacking for now.

It is getting later in the day and it seems the light inside is getting less and less as the sun begins to set.

Daftendirekt
2012-03-17, 11:39 AM
Unhindered by the fading light, Hrothgar's eyes scan constantly over the room for the orb, as well as for any other treasure that may come in handy; actual coinage of this amount would just be too bulky to carry, but weapons and such could prove highly useful. The whole time he's searching, though, he can't help but wonder just what in Moradin's beard would cause something like this. A horde of frost wurms coming and decimating a white dragon? Very strange.

Taking 20 on a Search check I guess... That gives me a 22.

Calenestel
2012-03-17, 02:30 PM
After a while, feeling confident that any ambush in place would already have been sprung, Ylva had returned her blade to it's scabbard. And with more time on her hand she, just like Hrothgar goes over the place more carefully. After that she seeks out a place where she can stand guard if needed, ready to stop here if the other wanted to.
Like the dwarf she wasn't hindered much by the falling darkness. Still, more to let the other know where she was than out of any real need she mumbles a single word when the darkness settles, calling a sphere of bluish white light into being that bobs beside her as she moves about the place.

More for fun than anything else I'll take 20 on a search check as well, for exactly the same result as Hroth: 22. :smalltongue:

Mr. X
2012-03-19, 01:26 AM
From his pack, Jory removes a hooded torch. Peeling back the leather cover, the torch ignites in a cold blue flame, and he tosses it into the middle of the room where it continues to burn, keeping the encroaching shadows at bay.

Though it seems that whatever danger was once here has passed, he keeps his bow at had while the others scout the perimeter.

Jory uses an Everburning Torch.
If relevant:
Spot: [roll0]
Listen:[roll1]

Edit: Ack, natural 20 not withstanding, my Listen is only +8, not +13. So subtract 5 from my listen result(=28). Sorry about that.

userpay
2012-03-19, 12:46 PM
Cylirr falls to her knees as the vision floods her mind with a soft cry, one hand clutching her forehead as if to ease the weight of it. Such a simple spell for but a little knowledge and yet this... This was unprecedented. "Well it seems as though Lathander approves of our task." Cylirr comments wearily as she uses her long harp to push herself to her feet. "The dragon didn't just battle worms that broke into its layer, it fought with the largest one on the glacier. From that hole up there it fell on the dragon."

Mr. X
2012-03-19, 06:54 PM
"Easy there, priest..." Jory lends a steadying hand to the drow, "Whatever did this is long gone. I'd have a hard time believing the worm, no matter how large, would bother with an artifact. We should be safe here for a time."

LittleCarp04
2012-03-20, 08:51 AM
You all continue searching for quite a time and don't come up with the orb right away. Although the room is strewn with a surprising amount of treasure, teh tension is still thick in the air as you are all on guard in case another attack comes.

After searching for nearly an hour, no one has found a sign of the orb, and the whole room has been throughly searched, every inch of open ground has been looked through and no orb has been found matching the description Laurin gave you at his house before it was destroyed. But there are still a few places that may have not been searched...

Calenestel
2012-03-21, 05:47 AM
Sitting down on a block of ice in a metallic clatter Ylva shakes her head slowly. "I'm starting to suspect the orb is somewhere else. How about a break? I don't know about you, but I'm getting just a bit hungry. And then maybe we can discuss where to go from here."

She wanted to search this trove for others stuff too, of course. Magical weapons and trinkets that could help her future quests, money (both for future quests and for her and other goodly churches), that sort of things. But it could wait, they had seemingly all the time in the world right now. From her haversack she produces that same package of rations, as usual replenished magically. "What do you say, friends?"

userpay
2012-03-21, 11:15 AM
"If it came here once it could again. But... Perhaps... Could the worm have taken the orb?" As the others relax or not Cylirr mummers a few words and goes looking about the room for herself.
Casting Detect Magic and trying to find magical items via that rather than actually searching since she doesn't have any ranks in it anyway.

Mr. X
2012-03-22, 04:13 PM
Jory sits down on an overflowing chest, picks up a handful of coins, and let's them sift through his fingers. "Well, If you don't mind the smell, I'd say the rewards are pretty worthwhile." . He snorts, attempting to get the smell of death out of his nose. "The worms are far outside my knowledge of beasties, does anyone know if they've brain enough to seek something like the Orb? They didn't eat the dragon, so they didn't come here for food, and the gold must be next to worthless to them... But..."" he shrugs, "I don't know... Maybe someone else was here before the worms attacked..." He stands, and looks over the carnage again, looking for boot-marks in the ice, or wounds on the worms and dragon that weren't made by tooth or claw... Sword/axe cuts, arrow shafts, etc, anything decidedly 'human'.

Take whichever of these is relevant:

Survival:[roll0]
Spot:[roll1]
Search:[roll2]

whoiam
2012-03-22, 05:40 PM
Nustrilaa
"I'm not sure about intelligence, " Having failed to find the orb, she decided to join Jory in just taking a seat while the more energetic/enthusiastic members of the party continued the search.

"I mean, I have a pretty good idea how smart a Remorhaz, one of the worms we fought, is. I'm not sure if the big one is the same strain, and even if it is, there's no guarantee that some loopy druid didn't Awaken it at some point in the past." She didn't take the same chest as Jory, however, opting instead to seat herself against the gold pile.

"But however smart they were, the big question is whether they'd have a reason to do it. I think it's pretty safe to say that noone managed to *hire* a worm to steal the orb. Possibly it gives off enough movement to show up on a worm's tremor sense? In which case they'd probably try to kill it or eat it. Maybe it's possible for them to consider a vibration beautiful? They're certainly intelligent enough to develop hobbies and tastes, albeit not very advanced ones." Removing her bag, Nustrilaa sighs faintly between breaths.

"I wish my parents were here. A Druid and a Ranger, and both real experts on monsters. I don't run across many giant worms back in my kitchens." A quick peek into the bag confirms it's still mostly empty.

"My bag of holding still has plenty of space, if anyone wants to put some loot in there. If we're still here in the morning I'll add the spare capacity in my secret chest to the mix. I can call it back now, but we'd just have to carry it for a day until I could prepare the magic to hide it again..." Releasing her hold on the bag of holding, Nustrilaa's attention switches back to the subject of monsters.

"Anyway, if the worm did have any way of actually detecting the orb, chances are it's working its way slowly through a massive digestive tract right about now. The other alternative, of course, being that the dragon may not have considered the orb part of its hoard. Could have gone in the library with the spell components, say. Or out in some special chamber, maybe a scrying chamber or a shrine.

Hm... I don't suppose anyone here knows the spell 'Speak with Dead'? It may be a better idea to question the dragon than to try probing the cave network blindly..."

Daftendirekt
2012-03-22, 06:11 PM
Hrothgar listens idly to the two chatting as they take a break on mounds of priceless artifacts. However, still full of zeal himself, he continues the search -- for several things: the orb, useful magical items, and some trace of where to go next regardless of what they find here. When the talk turns to spells, he shakes his head.

"Never saw the point in learning magicks. My own two hands have always served me well enough."

LittleCarp04
2012-03-22, 09:41 PM
As the group takes a brief respite, they look around the hoard casually, taking in the different treasures found there. Over the next few minutes a little pile has been made consisting of a longsword of immaculate design, a warhammer with the symbol of Moradin engraved onto the head of it, a circlet of fine metal that is nearly weightless, a cape that is smoother than silk, 2 pairs of boots, and a book with no title.

The orb has still not been located, your instincts tell you that the worm did not take it so it must still be in this room, but every open and uncovered space has been searched...

whoiam
2012-03-23, 08:23 AM
Nustrilaa

"I must admit I often find the same to be true... but then, I rarely have to explore a dragon's cave in my day to day life. I'm not enough of a warrior to participate in this sort of mission without using my magic to compensate for my lack of combat skill, so..."

At length, the wizard reached into a pouch at her belt and withdrew a small forked twig. She waved it around a couple of times, as though trying it out for weight (a rather ridiculous gesture considering the tiny size of it).

Of course, the bit you cannot see is the wizard carefully drawing up a mental image of the orb as described to her, and releasing the prepared energy from 'Speak to Allies' as a casting of 'Locate Object'. And after the 6 seconds' casting was complete, she stood up and spun slowly around on the spot, waiting for the twinge that would indicate her magic had located a signal...

LittleCarp04
2012-03-23, 08:36 AM
As Nustrilaa spins slowly pointing the twig she slowly feels a slight pull directly toward the dragons body, she thought maybe it was incorrect so pulled away and continued to turn, and once again it kept pointing her directly to the torn and battered mass that used to be a majestic ancient White Wyrm.

whoiam
2012-03-23, 08:52 AM
Nustrilaa
"Of course, it does have more uses than just letting me mix it up with you big strong fighting types..." There was no mistaking the smile on the wizard's face as she followed the gentle tug of the twig. It was... smug.

Stood to reason, really. A divination specialist probably would be proud of her divination ability...

She didn't go too quickly about her 'chase' - she'd found that she had a tendancy to miss things if she hurried too much, and having to backtrack was always irritating. Instead she'd slowly and carefully follow the twig's guidance until she was physically blocked from following it any further...

(I'll let you autopilot her to where the Locate Object spell leads her, littlecarp. Saves us going backwards and forwards every few paces ;) She's going to keep on going until she can't get any closer, which means either locating a point where she'd have to dig through the hoard or floor or locating the closest body-part in order to get one of her sharp pointy thing equipped colleagues to slice it open. )

Calenestel
2012-03-23, 01:55 PM
After gathering the enchanted treasures and quite a collection of coin, and as Nustrilaa starts casting her divination spell, Ylva stops and studies the wizard at her work. It was obvious the elf took pride in her work, almost overly so. But she didn't begrudge her that pride. It was right to take pride in one's craft, and so far others had outshone the mage, more or less. It was her time, as simple as that.
As the spell takes effect Ylva then follows Nustrilaa around, curious as to where the orb might be found. She figured it had probably been eaten by the dragon, but she wasn't about to blurt that out. She was wise enough not to guess wildly.

LittleCarp04
2012-03-23, 02:08 PM
Nustrilaa follows the tug of the spell that leads her directly toward the dragon, and closer and closer until the twig bumps against the dragons side directly behind its right leg, then the twig travels down the side of the dragon roughly as it falls over the fresh wounds open on the dragons hide, then stops again at the floor in the same rough area of the dragon, directly behind its right leg, but now on the ground rather than up the rather large and battlescarred side of the dragon.

whoiam
2012-03-23, 02:29 PM
Nustrilaa

With a rather relieved sigh (like Ylva, Nustrilaa had been dreading the prospect of having to slice the dragon apart and sift through the contents of its digestive tract), the wizard glanced back over her shoulder at the others around the chamber. "Who here fancies a spot of digging? The magic says our orb is.... well, it's under here." She pats the ground next to where the twig touched down. "Sadly, I never learned any spell along the lines of 'Bigby's Mining Hand', so I can't help much with the retrieval... Well, I suppose I could hold a shovel or move some earth around or something, but not very well..."

Mr. X
2012-03-23, 04:05 PM
"I'm afraid I didn't bring any of my mining equipment along, but I'll make due with what I've got." he withdraws a dagger from his boot, but then turns to Hrothgar, Though, truth be told, your hammar shall likely avail us more than my ice-pick."

Daftendirekt
2012-03-23, 11:32 PM
Hrothgar nods and pulls out his hammer as he heads over, setting himself up to push the dragon's massive leg out of the way. He looks around at the others.

"Don't quite think I can move this beast myself. A little help would be much obliged. Then we'll see about breaking the ice."

userpay
2012-03-24, 12:35 AM
"Given a day I could ask of Lathander for a spell to speak with the dragon but I am... Well... It is not a spell that I like to use." As Nustrilaa tracks the orb Cylirr does take the opportunity to shove some treasure into her back, obviously magical given how it didn't bulge, before following along. "Perhaps I could weaken the ice some with a bit of fire but I worry the blast might not last long enough to be of much help. Oddly enough my long harp might be of use in cracking the ice as well..."

Mr. X
2012-03-24, 11:02 AM
Jory settles up with Hrothgar, putting his shoulder against the leg, and getting ready to shove."On three then? One... Two... Three!"

LittleCarp04
2012-03-24, 08:25 PM
As Jory and Hrothgar both heave against the literally dead weight of the dragon, they are able to knock it over so they can see that under the dragon, halfway pressed into the ice is the orb, the ice around it seemed almost as if it made way for the orb, the edge between the orb and the ice is perfectly smooth against the orb, and also tinged with the dragons lifeblood as it pooled under him and froze against the ice.

The orb is exactly as Laurin described it, roughly 2 ft around, it was the purest white with a blue mist swirling within. The dragons blood had not marred the color of the orb in the slighest.

Daftendirekt
2012-03-24, 11:31 PM
Picking up the orb in his gauntleted hands, Hrothgar peers curiously into its swirling azure depths, his deep brown eyes glittering in the dim half-light of the cavern.

"Doesn't look all that impressive," he says after a while, walking over to Nustrilaa, his heavy boots clomping against the ice as he moves. He holds out the orb to her, figuring her knowledge of vague, esoteric subjects might illuminate something.

Mr. X
2012-03-25, 11:17 AM
"Maybe not," Jory says, "But now that we've got it, the only thing we've got left to worry about is getting all this treasure somewhere we can spend it. Ha!" He laughs, "The lot of you got any big plans that could be made possible by all this?"

Calenestel
2012-03-26, 07:35 AM
Hrothgar and Jory doesn't need to move the dragon all by themselves, of course. As soon as Nustrilaa indicates that the Orb might be under the wyrm Ylva is ready to push as well. Shifting a dragon. Now there's a feat I never would have thought I'd need to accomplish.
And as soon as they have uncovered the Orb the paladin is one of those gathering around to take a peek. "Not that impressive, no," she agrees with a smile. "But we shouldn't judge the book by it's covers, after all. Would you hold that still for a moment..." Calmly she mouths a silent prayer to Torm, a prayer of thanks for the ability to peer beyond the superficial to find the hidden rot of Evil. She doesn't think that the orb is evil, her tone clearly indicated that she was going through the motions and more out of duty and "just in case" than out of fear that it might be an artifact of Doom. But still... better safe than sorry.

Detect Evil time. If there's evil present she'll concentrate on the spell until she can locate each aura present, otherwise she'll dismiss the "spell" early, and clearly show that she does so with body language. A shrug and more relaxed posture or somesuch.

LittleCarp04
2012-03-26, 10:04 AM
As Ylva focuses on the orb trying to see if it is pure evil or simply a mundane magical orb, she does receive a sign from Torm that the orb is in fact wholly evil. The aura of evil surrounding the orb is almost palpable to her now and leaves a foul taste in her mouth.

Calenestel
2012-03-26, 11:16 AM
The silver skinned paladin's intake of breath is sharp enough to almost sound like a hiss. Her brow furrowed she glares at the orb as if it were an enemy. She doesn't believe such a thing of course, but she quickly grasps the implications of the artifact being a thing of evil. And that meant trouble. Big trouble. "We... have a problem," she says with a weary sigh.

whoiam
2012-03-26, 07:19 PM
Nustrilaa

Having considered the object for a few moments

[roll0]
, and then seen Ylva's reaction to doing likewise, Nustrilaa decided it was time to resort to divination once more. There were questions to be answered after all...

"Alright, people. You're searching the hoard again. Put the orb down against one of the walls - if it's that evil, you probably don't want to hold it longer than you have to. Now I need a pearl, preferably a large one. There are enough gems scattered around the pile - hopefully one of them will be a pearl.

We'll also need to find a side passage. Something unused, yet roomy, ideally. I'll settle for 'not recently used' at a pinch. We'll drag our loot back into there and I'll cast my Secure Hut for the evening. Once we're inside we can study this orb properly..." After having given the others her suggestions, she heads towards her Bag of Holding, and gestures for Ylva to join her. Quietly, she makes an additional request.

"If I remember my lore correctly, Auras can rub off on objects and areas from their owners. While the others search, keep your attention on the Orb. If the level of evil starts bleeding off, it's probably not the orb's evil you just detected."

And then, for her part of the search, Nustrilaa looked in the base of her pack for a bottle of cheap wine she usually packed for just these occasions...

Calenestel
2012-03-27, 12:04 PM
Nodding to Nustrilaa the paladin takes up a careful watch. That it's an inanimate object doesn't seem to bother her overly much, the life of an adventure had it's fair share of absurdities. Again she concentrates on that part of her soul that's not entirely her own but Torm's as well and calls upon her god-given powers to detect Evil.

Mr. X
2012-03-27, 01:11 PM
"Well, it figures. Nothing's ever as simple as it ought to be. " Jory states as he picks himself up again to start looking for a sheltered nook. "Though if we walk out of here with that thing, and don't hand it over, we'd best be ready to contend with whomever Laurin was dealing with, and likely our own employer as well." He chuckles, "'Least we'll be well financed."

LittleCarp04
2012-03-27, 06:16 PM
Nustrilaa:((OOC: Once again I would prefer no one read this until Nustrilaa posts about it but I know someone will anyway...))

Upon studying the orb for a moment you can tell based on your knowledge of magic and magical devices that the orb is an incredibly powerful item of unknown ability but that it almost vibrates with intense power. Your instincts tell you it is best kept in your care under careful watch and not laid about haphazardly...

Upon the orb written in Elvish you see an inscription, Elvish:
"(Gather us all to avoid disaster
the rite key lies with the master
at the climax the death bell rings
to bring the end of serpent kings)"

whoiam
2012-03-27, 06:54 PM
I never said anything about putting it aside haphazardly. I said we should put it down *with the party paladin and wizard guarding it* :p Just didn't want it in someone's hands if it was registering as *that* evil. After all, it could be cursed, it could be intelligent, or (horror of horrors) it could be the harbinger of the taint rules from Unearthed Arcana.

"Strange he didn't tell us there would be an inscription...", Nustrilaa murmurs to herself as she watches the orb. Translating into common as she goes, she recites "Gather us all to avoid disaster / the rite key lies with the master / at the climax the death bell rings / to bring the end of serpent kings."

Then, being of a currently paranoid frame of mind, she immediately glances around incase anything reacts to the words. Probably not going to. She didn't read them in the correct language, for a start.

Quickly looking back towards the orb, the wizard begins speculating on the meaning of the inscription. After all, unless they could find her a pearl her choices were 'try and use it for something', 'speculate', and 'try not to think about it'. Of the three, she preferred speculate. The 'try' options both sounded like they would end in a rather messy failure...

"Now, I'm not going to even pretend to have heard of these orbs before. But this sounds an awful lot like an ancient elven magical weapon intended for use in the war against the dragons. Do you all know the story? That before the rise of the Elves and Dwarves at the start of history, Faerun was ruled by Dragons and Giants. My ancestors, and those of the dwarves, eventually rebelled against - and defeated - those races, rising to power in their place. I've... yet to find a book that actually listed *how* we overthrew the dragons of antiquity, but it's not hard to fill in some of the broad strokes. This was long before the fall of Netheril, and the restriction of access to the Weave. Magic was far, far stronger then, for those will the skill to channel it. Some of the artifacts of that era linger still, and they easily outclass anything even the most powerful of Archmagi have been able to create since Karsus' Folly. If this is one of the ancient elves' weapons against the dragons.... it is tremendously, unimaginably powerful. And dangerous."

userpay
2012-03-27, 09:01 PM
"Gather us all to avoid disaster..." Cylirr murmurs as she follows along. "That... Seems to imply there is more than one of these things. If someone is gathering things that are as powerful as this, evil aura or not, that bodes well not at all."

Daftendirekt
2012-03-27, 11:39 PM
Hrothgar, who had been standing silently this whole time as the others examined the orb more closely, now decided to speak up.

"Evil or no, what's the plan of action? Do we keep it? Do we return it? Either way, do we look for the others that may possibly exist? I feel that we are rather at a crossroads here."

Calenestel
2012-03-28, 01:35 PM
Shrugging slightly, which turns out hardly noticeable due to her armour, Ylva smiles at the dwarf. "Let our good diviner do her work... her 'magic' as it were. I'd prefer having as much information as possible before we make our decision. But truth betold. If this artifact is evil then I'm not feeling very beholden to our previous deal."
The silverskinned paladin sounds slightly distracted, probably because of having to keep her concentration more on her spell than on the conversation. As soon as she's spoken she turns back to focus on the orb.

whoiam
2012-03-28, 02:02 PM
Nustrilaa

"I'm not really a diviner, " Nustrilaa points out. "I've got a few Divination spells with me, but that's not really the same thing."
She's a Collegiate Wizard using the Spontaneous Divination and Transmutation Domain ACFs. Domain Wizard and Specialist Wizard are mutually exclusive...
Precision was very important to wizards. Not surprising, really - without it, your only paths to great magical power involved strange ancestries or bowing to deities even more than usual.

"Anyone found a pearl yet? I think we'll all feel safer once I've gotten this stupid drink down and finished casting 'Identify'." The cheap wine is still present in her hands, even as she keeps an eye on the orb. For those who didn't realise (that is, for those who didn't have ranks in Knowledge (Arcana)), this would likely be the first point where her sudden desire for wine began to make sense. Pearls, too.

"...To be honest with you, I really should have thought to bring some pearls out with me. Now, I'm afraid this isn't a quick process - the casting time is an hour an item - which is why I asked you to find somewhere sheltered as well as some pearls." It's just a conversational tone of voice. Nustrilaa knows that the others aren't just standing around watching her.

Well, aren't *all* just standing around watching her.

"If you cannot find any pearls... I think our backup plan is this: I recall my secret chest, and we stick the orb in there. We then hole up somewhere for the night, and by the morning I'll have prepared the spell to hide it on the astral plane again. At least that way none of us are directly exposed during the trip back to town, or during any period in which we may be obliged to keep ownership of the orb following said return... Such as, say, in the case that we decide our original employer has nefarious intentions, and we're better off not giving him the sorts of weapons that can take down empires."

Mr. X
2012-03-28, 04:21 PM
Jory, now sifting through the treasure looking for a pearl, pauses. He looks uncertain, clearly trying to choose his words carefully...

"Not to sound overly extreme, or ambitious, or anything, for i promise you that I am not... But... If it is on that level of power, could we not perhaps put it to use?"

He pauses seriously,

"The lands have been torn by conflict great and small for as long as anyone can remember... If we could use this thing, however evil it might be, to bring about a lasting peace... ..."

He trails of, shrugging, unsure of how to finish.

Looking for a Pearl:

[roll0]

Eventually, he picks up another handful of treasure, and picks through it...

"... What's a 'pearl' look like, anyway?"

Daftendirekt
2012-03-28, 06:16 PM
"While there are of course always the arguments that a tool itself is never good or evil, instead only its use determines that... if Ylva detected a strong evil presence around this thing, I'm not sure using it would be a good idea. It may be cursed, or it may have enchantments that could enslave the user, or..."

Hrothgar trails off and shrugs, not having more than a cursory knowledge of anything magical; the kind of things anyone might hear. While he speaks, he also sifts through treasure piles in search of a pearl.

[roll0] for Search.

userpay
2012-03-28, 06:35 PM
"Even if we were to attempt to use it we must find out more of it first. As Hrothgar pointed out it could have traps for the user." Unlike her companions relative bull in a china shop approach to finding a pearl Cylirr takes her time to slowly pick through the treasure piles in her search.
Taking 20 on search for result of 24.

LittleCarp04
2012-03-28, 08:44 PM
As everyone is digging thorough the treasure looking for a pearl, or anything else that looks particularly useful at the moment, Cylirr spots a shining pearl sitting inside of a goblet. She snatches it and tosses it to Nustrilaa to complete whatever castings may help them in their endeavor.

Also in the distance on what may be the other side of the glacier, you hear the sound of ice breaking again, but at this point it has become a nearly constant sound as it seems like activity on the glacier is increasing, but you haven't any clue as to if they will return to this singular cave amid all the others that must be buried within the ice.

Mr. X
2012-03-28, 09:49 PM
"Huh," Jory says, looking at the pearl, "I thought they were the red jewel things... I'm afraid I'm not very up on my jewelry."

As the ice shifts, he states "We may want to get our heads above ground before long. The Dragon may have been living here for a long time, but I'm willing to bet when the big worm moves, everything about the glacier might change. And gold or no, nothin's worth getting caught in a cave in. We should take everything we can carry, and get clear. In the morning, if it hasn't collapsed, we can come back for another haul."

With that, Jory starts gathering whatever treasure he can carry, and making ready to leave (unless someone else puts a better plan forward).

Daftendirekt
2012-03-28, 09:57 PM
Hrothgar nods in agreement and begins perusing the endless piles of wealth around them, looking for the choicest bits to fill his bag with.

So, being a dwarf, he has no penalty for going right up to max load -- which in his case is anything below 400 pounds. In other words, he can carry a lot of loot. I'll leave it up to you, LittleCarp, how much his backpack can fit, as it's non-magical. He's going for gemstones and jewelry, as they'll be worth more than single coins and take up the same amount of space. Appraise checks to follow to figure out the most valuable ones. A bunch just to be sure.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]
[roll11]
[roll12]
[roll13]
[roll14]

Calenestel
2012-03-28, 11:52 PM
With the pearl found and no changes to be noticed about the orb Ylva steps down from her watch and moves to the small gathering of magical items. Calmly, and openly, she puts them all in her enchanted haversack. Nothing looked even remotely like her Bag of Holding or the like and she felt rather confident that it wouldn't rip a hole in time and space to do so.
After that she, like Jory and Hrothgar, turns her attention to the more mundane treasures around them: the coins and gems. A glance to the armoured dwarf inspires her to look mainly for gems too, but in the end she'd gather all gold and platinum she'd find rather than tarry too long. So she scoops up that as well as gemstones, pouring it all into a bag on her belt too small to contain it all.

Having an unused Bag of Holding is a good idea, really. 225 lbs left. :smallbiggrin:

Anyway, making a pair search checks to find the choicest pieces, and two Appraise checks on top of that.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
Wow. One good roll, and the rest beyond bad. At least I don't need an appraise roll to concentrate on the platinum and gold. Otherwise Ylva would leave with 225 pounds of copper. :smalltongue:

userpay
2012-03-29, 01:14 AM
Cylirr looks about and shrugs, bending down to join the others in gathering as much treasure as they could.
Handy Haversack can hold 115 more lbs. Preference towards gems and jewelry, otherwise as many high value coins as possible.
appraise [roll0]
appraise [roll1]
search [roll2]
search [roll3]

Mr. X
2012-03-29, 01:03 PM
Jory's carry capacity:Jory doesn't have any fancy bags of holding or anything. He can carry 186 more pounds, but he'll be at 'Heavy' load.

LittleCarp04
2012-03-30, 08:44 AM
Ok so I havent really nailed down *exactly* how much treasure is in this hoard, lets just suffice it so say you all grab ALOT. Well iron out the details of it later. Are you guys staying the night or trying to get back out? Need to know for the next few moves.

Everyone is running around piling their bags and pockets with gold and gems from the dragons hoard, occasionally having to break open ice coverings to get at the choicest pieces.

Mr. X
2012-03-30, 12:52 PM
OOC:
I believe the plan is to gather whatever we can, and then head back outside to camp.

LittleCarp04
2012-03-31, 08:11 AM
Everyone is laden down with nearly as much treasure as they can carry, pockets and dimensional baggage filled to the brim. There is still piles and piles of treasure remaining, but no more room with which to fill it, so the group decides to head back outside to camp hopefully away from the danger of the the cave and the worms.

As you are walking back through the tunnels you pass through the first cave you found and fought the worm in, Hrothgar is in front, with Cylirr, Nustrilaa, Ylva, and Jory and Baryx taking up the rear.

As you clear that cave and are finally making some real progress toward the entrance and the relative safety of the ledge, a slight rumble can be felt throughout the glacier. You all decide to pick up the pace and try to get out as soon as you can.

The rumbling continues on and on, like thunder gathering off in the distance, but magnified a thousand times and surrounding you. Suddenly you hear it before you see it, but the ice is breaking, and close! The massive worm erupts from the ice at the back of the group, instantly grabbing Baryx and swallowing him whole in less time than a heartbeat. It is unbelievably huge, its bulk fills the tunnel. The screams of the bard can be heard making its way down the body of the worm and then a large *crack* is heard and the screams stop.

Ok so youre in the tunnel complex again, so 15' wide tunnel about 20' tall. Baryx has been swallowed, you can choose to run or try to fight the worm.

whoiam
2012-03-31, 09:19 AM
Nustrilaa quickly glances around: Ylva, Jory, Hrothgar and Cylirr are still around her.

Too many to teleport out at once, and I only prepared the one.

So, her most direct escape wasn't an option. What else did she have left? She still had a couple of group buffs if they wanted to make a stand. And one of them was Haste, in case they wanted to retreat. She still had a mass fly, but it wouldn't be useful until they were out of the caves.

Come to think of it, whether we fight or run, haste will still be useful.

So, Nustrilaa retreats back through her line of colleagues, casting Haste on the remnants of the group as she does so. "Are we running or fighting?" she asked as she went.

Standard action to Haste the survivors. Followed by a move action, to move directly away from the worm. And just incase we fight... [roll0]

Mr. X
2012-03-31, 01:39 PM
The rumbling and cracking ice causes Jory to stumble under the weight of his treasure laden pack... The worm's attack misses him by mere inches. In a reflexive motion, he drops his pack and nocks an arrow, almost before he has time to comprehend the horror before him...

Baryx, gods, it's happening again...

"FLEE!" he shouts, "I'LL SLOW IT DOWN! MOVE, DAMN IT!!!"

Initiative:[roll0]

On my turn,

Activate Rapid Shot

Shot 1:
Attack:[roll1]
Damage:[roll2]
Crit:[roll3]
CritDam:[roll4]
Trickshot: Dazing shot, Technique of the Adept. Spend 9 Focus, Fortitude Save DC:21

Shot 2:(Rapid shot Bonus attack)
Attack:[roll5]
Damage:[roll6]
:[roll7]
CritDam:[roll8]

Shot 3:
Attack:[roll9]
Damage:[roll10]
Crit:[roll11]
CritDam: [roll12]
Trickshot: Dazing Shot, Technique of the adept. Spend 9 Focus, Fortitude Save DC:21

Move 5ft up the passage.

Dazing Shot: (Not totally sure this will work, but it's worth a shot.)
If this attack hits, the struck foe must succeed on a Fortitude save or be dazed for one round.

Daftendirekt
2012-03-31, 01:57 PM
His face hardening as he watches the massive worm swallow his companion, Hrothgar shoves his way through his remaining comrades, planting himself firmly between them and the worm. Drawing his hammer, he looks over at Jory and shakes his head.

"No. You go. I'll stop this beast," he says grimly, and charges forth, metallic footfalls echoing loudly in the passage.

Hrothgar is going to attempt to Bull Rush the worm. So, he charges. This gives a +2 to his bull rush.

Here's his opposed strength check: [roll0]

If he miraculously manages to slam it back into a wall, here's the Dungeoncrasher damage: [roll1]

Mr. X
2012-03-31, 02:36 PM
Jory nods grimly to Hrothgar, and backs away from the worm, sending a hail of arrows passed the dwarf as he charges.

Forgot my extra attack from Nustrilaa's Haste.

Attack:[roll0]
Crit:[roll2]
CritDam:[roll3]

Calenestel
2012-04-01, 12:29 AM
When the giant worm first burst through and swallowed Baryx Ylva's initial reaction was a shocked thought about how close it had come and still missed her. Her second was to step in between her friends and the enormous monster. But it seemed like her initial chock slowed her down, and both Jory and Hrothgar beat her to it. Her third thought, as she drew her sword, was that she could join them: It must have been injured in it's fight with the dragon. Maybe it's enough? No... that's suicidal. Gods help you Hroth.
Shouldering another responsibility, that of honouring the dwarf's sacrifice and leading the others out to safety was actually harder than charging the worm would've been. But she did her Duty. She alwasy did. "Torm, and all of your own gods be with you, my friend," Ylva whispers and with a heavy heart she turns away, feeling like she was moving through jelly. But her voice is strong and commanding, she was expecting the others to obey. "Everyone OUT! Jory, take the front, casters in the middle! I'm the rear! Hrothgar, get yourself out of there if you can!"

userpay
2012-04-01, 01:04 AM
Cylirr gasps as in the blink of an eye both a terrible foe comes to face and one of their allies is gone. Yet as the others speak of retreating and leaving one of their own behind the dark skinned woman's eyes narrow. "The thing burrows the ice, whose to say it won't catch up? Move we shall but I refuse to leave anyone behind." She pulls forth a scrap of paper. "For while Lathander's light may set each evening, and everything is at its darkest, his light shall spill forth again to drive back the darkness!" The paper seems to take on a shine for a moment and everyone feels themselves buoyed spiritually.
Casting Recitation, everyone gains a +2 luck bonus to attack and saving throws while any enemies get -2 to the same no save. If you worship Lathander the bonus is +3. Move action will be to keep up with the others assuming we don't leave Hrothgar behind.
init [roll0]
Besides we need to justify massive loots.

Calenestel
2012-04-01, 05:32 AM
Eyeing Cylirr incredulously Ylva stops and hesitates. She thought it was the role of the paladin to be suicidally honourable. And even she thought this fight beyond them. But she couldn't deny that the priestess' example sparked an urge to stand in her too. Unsure and waiting for what the others would do the silverskinned paladin casts Divine Favour on herself and calls the flames of her greatsword to ignite yet again.

Right... I'm about as hesitant about this as Ylva is. But as user said: We gotta earn that loot. :smalltongue:

[roll0]

This round Ylva casts Divine Favour (standard action, +2 Atk & Dam) and ignites her sword (free action). She might also either move into position to charge next turn or move to run away (Move action either way), depending on what the group decides. :smallwink:

LittleCarp04
2012-04-01, 08:14 AM
Hrothgar charges the worm hoping to keep it at bay long enough for his new found friends to escape back to the ledge. He slams into the worm bashing it into the wall, but the worm fills the whole tunnel and doesn't seem to slow too much, it takes a moment to scream out a horrible roar, the same one you heard during its battle with the dragon, except this time it does not sound pained, it almost sounds like a call. It begins radiating with intense heat from its back and the tunnel above him starts dripping down on everyone. Then almost impossibly fast the sound of ice breaking comes once more and another worm, this time more diminutive and similar to the one you defeated before breaks through the ice directly behind the larger worm.

Seeing it cant pass, it burrows into the ice again, possibly heading toward the front of the group.

With the worms in what may be disarray, now may be your only chance for escape.

Ok worms str check is [roll0] (12 from str, 12 from size)

:O that is honestly impressively bad...

Well I guess you guys might surivive after all.

whoiam
2012-04-01, 04:57 PM
"You know, I cast Haste on us for a reason. That reason? IT MAKES THE RUNNING FASTER."

Despite her earnest desire to be somewhere else, enough of her colleagues are fighting rearguard actions of various kinds that there's little point in her retreating with... well, basically just Ylva. Despite the fact that she agrees with the Paladin that it's the sensible thing to do. So instead, she wracks her brains quickly for the spell most likely to be effective. She probably couldn't go for an area of effect spell, her allies were already in melee. So, a single target spell... She'd used up her direct damage spells already, so it was ray time. Ray of Stupidity, specifically. Let's see the worm try to fight once she'd taken it's mind away...

[roll0] (+7, -4 from ally in Melee, +2 from Recitation)
[roll1]

Mr. X
2012-04-01, 07:22 PM
Seeing his arrows do little, if anything, to slow the worm, Jory turns and flees up the passage, shouting as he goes.

"HROTHGAR MOVE!! TIME TO GO!! IT'S NOW OR NEVER!!"

As he goes, he ties the end of his rope to one of his arrows, cursing himself for not practicing his knots more...

Double move up the passage. With Haste, it's 120ft.

Tying rope to arrow:
Use Rope:[roll0]

LittleCarp04
2012-04-02, 11:14 PM
Jory rushes down the passage yelling to the others, he can see the exit of the tunnels just ahead another hundred feet or so, and then Nustrilaa cast's her spell.

The worm begins to convulse and lets out a roar even worse than before, it sounded... crazed, if such a thing can even happen.The heat begins pouring off the worm and he trashes around bashing the sides of the tunnels as large chunks of ice begin to crack and fall around him. Hrothgar is barely able to avoid one chunk as large as himself as he jumps back away from the worm.

Daftendirekt
2012-04-02, 11:31 PM
Hrothgar peers over his shoulder to make sure that his companions have a decent head start on getting the hell out of there. Satisfied, he turns his back on the thrashing worm and heads to catch up with them.

I am going to use the Withdraw action. Yeah, I know, right? For the longest time I didn't even know about this existing. To quote the SRD:

Withdrawing from melee combat is a full-round action. When you withdraw, you can move up to double your speed. The square you start out in is not considered threatened by any opponent you can see, and therefore visible enemies do not get attacks of opportunity against you when you move from that square. (Invisible enemies still get attacks of opportunity against you, and you can’t withdraw from combat if you’re blinded.) You can’t take a 5-foot step during the same round in which you withdraw.

If, during the process of withdrawing, you move out of a threatened square (other than the one you started in), enemies get attacks of opportunity as normal.

So if I'd still provoke an AoO, so be it. Hrothgar's catching up with the party.

LittleCarp04
2012-04-04, 10:04 PM
All of you race for the exit, the tunnel begins to creak and the sharp sound of ice breaking sounds over and over, all the group heaves toward the ledge and then it begins to fall, back a hundred feet or so at first, where the worm was raging the most.

The ice is now water running down the sides of the wall and pooling beneath the many feet of the massive worm. The ceiling falls and crushes spot you were standing only moments ago, the worm falls beneath the bulk and the crashes through the floor and disappears from view.

Hrothgar barely makes it out behind the others and a wave of air and freezing water blasts the group with impressive force as the air is blasted from the tunnels.

The way back to the lair is completely caved in but at least most of you survived. The silence is deafening as you realize that Baryx the Clarion, the friendly and brave bard, is forever gone, swallowed and most likely snapped in two inside the massive worm for which the Glacier may have been named.

Mr. X
2012-04-05, 06:16 PM
Jory sits heavily against the icy wall, cursing softly.

"Damn gods... Baryx..."

He withdraws his dagger, and carves a small notch into his belt, alongside over a dozen others like it

"Ya always take the good ones, don't ya..."

He sits, brooding awhile...

And leave me to watch them go...

whoiam
2012-04-07, 02:41 AM
For her troubles against the worm, Nustrilaa was now down one ally, two spells, absolutely drenched in freezing cold water, and stuck on the side of a glacier in the middle of winter.

"I'm sorry, everyone, " Nustrilaa started, being unaware that she'd maxed her damage roll and couldn't have achieved anything better in the single round. "I was trying to put it into a coma, so we could have tried rescuing Baryx... "

As she spoke, she was reaching into a pocket inside her cloak. What she pulled out was... an ordinary black housecat. What it had been doing inside her cloak was anyone's guess. What it was doing now was desperately trying to shake off the water that had soaked it through. And casting some rather evil glares back towards Nustrilaa, who resolutely ignored it.

"I'm going to fix us some shelter. We need to dry off and get warm..." and get out of sight of the entrance, in case anything does come looking for us...

Looking around the lip of ice they're on, the best spot for their shelter is right at the side. It's out of the direct path into the cave, and since she has to form them out of local materials... yes, this would work...

So Nustrilaa, irritated cat in tow, heads off to the far left of their ledge and begins laying out spell components. Before she starts, she warns the others, "I'll be about 10 minutes, I'm afraid."

Since the Secure Shelter is always created out of local materials, it's going to be an inner core of mountain rock sheathed in a layer of glacial ice. Shaped to look like someone carved a space into the glacier and stuck two windows, a door and a chimney onto it. I can't make it invisible, but I can make it inobtrusive to a distant observer...

Calenestel
2012-04-07, 07:44 AM
As soon as they're out of danger Ylva stops and extinguishes her blade. The water and the cold couldn't do that any less than it could extinguish the fire in her soul and eyes. But the loss of a companion? That's another thing entirely. Against all forms of common sense she blames herself.
Even fully armoured she seems to... slump where she stands looking back to the collapsed tunnel and there's a deep pain in her green eyes as the silverskinned paladin removes her gauntlets and helmet, letting the long braid of red hair fall free down her back, and kneels in the icy water. She wouldn't have cared if she hadn't been protected against the cold and the wetness means even less. With her greatsword as a focus she prays, tears gathering in her eyes but not quite falling. She prays with quietly moving lips while she blinks against the tears, praying for Baryx' soul and eternal rest (he had deserved it), for guidance from her own god and, since she didn't know which deity Baryx had chosen for his own, she also asks the God of Duty to help the bard find his way to his own god's or godess' arms. He had fallen in the line of Duty, after all.
Only when Nustrilaa has finished her casting of the spell that would shelter them for the evening does Ylva stir, getting to her feet and wiping her eyes with the back of her hand. "Let's catch some sleep," she says with a coarse voice. "We should ponder what to do about this Torm-forsaken orb, but I think we need some rest first."

Daftendirekt
2012-04-07, 02:28 PM
Hrothgar remains silent during their wait, and on through their entrance into the shelter. He speaks then, just enough to get help removing his weighty armor, and then falls silent again. He seems lost in his own thoughts, a slight frown permanently on his face. Once his gear is removed, he sits down cross-legged in a corner of the shelter, his hammer laid across his knees. He peers down at the symbol of Moradin on it, rubbing it idly and whispering to himself. After perhaps an hour of this, he rises and takes a post at one of the windows, keeping watch while the others rest.

whoiam
2012-04-07, 03:13 PM
Like Hrothgar, Nustrilaa had work to do before settling down to rest. She placed the orb down on the floor, and sat cross-legged on the floor beside it.

First step was to grind down the pearl and add it to the bottle of wine (this being the reason why she makes sure to carry a bottle of cheap wine around in case of emergencies... just a shame she didn't think to pack spare pearls). Second step, drink some of the wine.

I don't know how much in GP that pearl was, but it's 100GP for each Identify spell, and hopefully there'll be enough left over after examining the orb to try some of the other loot items.

Then, having drunk deep of the adulterated wine, Nustrilaa settled down to concentrate on the orb...

It's an hour an item to use Identify, and if there's enough pearl in the wine for Nustrilaa to keep on identifying, she'll do up to 4 items (the Pearl, and any 3 other items from our loot), sacrificing the spells 'Ray of Clumsiness', 'Expeditious Retreat', 'Ray of Clumsiness' and 'Grease', in that order. She'll then have four hours' meditation and be up again at the same time as the others.

Any hours she doesn't get to spend identifying items will be spent reading instead - so she'll get closer to the 8 hours' downtime for preparing spells again.

Mr. X
2012-04-08, 12:30 AM
As the party settles down, Jory sits down near Ylva...

"If you don't mind my asking, how old are you?"

Calenestel
2012-04-08, 01:04 AM
After helping Hrothgar strip off his dark armour Ylva had asked the dwarf to return the favour and help her remove her own decidedly lighter full plate. Without the armour the paladin moves, as always, with slightly more grace as she stashes her mithril armour in a corner and props the greatsword and other weapons by it. Buckling her belt back over the simple clothes she wears under all those layers of plate, chainmail and padding she only replaces the dagger before sitting down on the closest cot with a small sigh of relief, starting to unbraid her hair.
When Jory sits down next to her and asks about her age Ylva gives him a surprised and quizzical look the paladin doesn't answer immediately. Instead she rakes her silvery fingers through her red hair a few times, unsure about why the woodsman would be interested. Well, an honest question deserved a fair answer. So she gives Jory a weak, but friendly, smile and says: "It depends... I was born twenty-three years ago, but I was raised to paladin six years ago and many of my brethren have a tradition of counting their age from when they were reborn into Duty. Makes for entertaining misunderstandings."