PDA

View Full Version : Ice and Honor - IC

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Lycan 01
2012-04-27, 11:56 PM
Winter has arrived. And with it, the Trials.

Surrounded by snowy mountains, nestled amongst thick forests, lies the village of Hrunding. It has been inhabited for many years by a viking tribe, their strength and numbers growing with every generation. And the time has come for this generation to become true members of the tribe, proving their worth and earning the respect of their elders, peers, and kin.

The meadhall is full to bursting; every member of the tribe has come, from the oldest warrior to the youngest maiden. The high-ceiling has been lined with torches and candles, while two long rows of tables have been set up down the length of the hall, large firepits lit between them for warmth and cooking. Almost every seat has been taken, though there are five people still standing.

At the end of the hall opposite the entrance doors, sits the throne of Jarl Bolgroth, leader of the tribe. Clad in glinting chainmail and gold-lined vestments, he stands before his seat with his muscular, scarred arms crossed in front of his chest. His iron-grey hair and beard hang loosely around his head, and while his mouth is currently formed into a grin, his piercing blue eyes show intense focus and seriousness. On either side of him stand heavily armored retainers, the Jarl's Thanes, who's shields and swords already rest in their grasp.

And standing before the Jarl are the two youths who wish to prove their worth. Gothard and Niklaus stand at the ready, clad in nothing more than rags, armed with nothing but their fists and wills.

Between the Jarl and the youths, a small table has been set, though its contents are covered by a heavy fur blanket.

Jarl Bolgroth finally unfolds his arms, and raises his hands in a silencing gesture. Immediately, the hall falls silent; only the crackling of the flames and the howl of the wind outside can be heard.

"The time has come for your Trials!" the Jarl's booming voice suddenly resounds through the hall, his tone that of pride and excitement. "Gothard and Niklaus, both of you have asserted that you have come of age, and that you are ready to be counted as men among your tribe. As with every generation before you, you will now partake of the Trials. Using the gear we have selected for you, you will both travel forth and partake in a quest for glory. Far to the West, there lie the ruins of a forsaken settlement. A tribe, much like ours, once inhabited it many generations ago. But now, it lies empty and forsaken, and nature slowly reclaims what was once its own."

"You..." he points at the youths, "Will travel to this forsaken village, and make your way into the meadhall that still stands. From it, you shall retrieve an item... any item. When you return, your Trials will be complete, and you shall be regarded as men. What you bring back in your possession will bring you honor; return with something worthy of respect, and you shall surely have every ounce you deserve!" he roars jovially, and the meadhall echoes with shouts and howls of agreement.

"Now..." he gestures at the fur-covered table. "We have gathered your gear. Some of it has been chosen for you, while some of it is your own choice." The Jarl then pulls back the furs, revealing the contents of the table.

Atop the table, there are 2 backpacks, several fur blankets and two bedrolls, two loaves of bread, two small pouches of beef jerky, two lengths of ropes and grappling hooks, two sets of leather armor, two sets of hide armor, two daggers, a longbow, a quiver with 30 arrows, a battleaxe, a heavy wooden shield, and a greatsword. There is also a set of flint and steel, two grey stones, two waterskins, a velum map, and two small flasks inscribed with the runes for "life."

"Take what you need, and begin your Trials..." the Jarl nods solemnly. "And may Fate look favorably upon you."

You both begin with:
-1 backpack
-1 bedroll
-1 winter blanket
-Trail Rations for one day
-30 feet of rope + grappling hook
-a choice between Leather or Hide armor.
-1 dagger
-1 whetstone
-1 potion of Cure Light Wounds.

You may pick ONE from:
-longbow and 30 arrows
-battleaxe and heavy wooden shield
-greatsword

You must decide who gets:
-the map
-the flint and steel

Trobby
2012-04-28, 09:57 AM
After the Jarl's speech, Gothard nods back to him solemnly, pausing for a moment before walking to the table. He bends his form downward to reach the precious gifts provided by his tribe, taking and examining each item as he packs them carefully into his sack.

He briefly considers taking the sturdy armor made from hardened boar's hide, but knowing this will be a long journey, with many challenges ahead, he opts instead to take the lighter armor made from cow hide. It fits snugly over his body, but is only slightly uncomfortable.

Examining the weapons critically, he lifts the massive sword from the table. He weighs it in his hands, feeling the importance of the blade as it weighs as heavy as any mantle he might wear. He rests the blade against his shoulder, taking care not to let the blade touch the ground.

The flint and steel are carefully packed into his backpack, leaving the map for Niklaus.

Benson
2012-04-28, 02:05 PM
Niklaus softly inhaled as he nodded, his gaze going over to the supplies. This was the day he both waited for all his life and dreaded at the same time.

His eyes lingered on the bow and quiver of arrows, at the fine craftsmanship, far superior than the one he used to use for practice. He went for the hide armor and donned it over his raggity but mildly warm clothes. He collected the rest of his gear and carefully put the map away.

He faced the Jarl and bowed his head.

Lycan 01
2012-04-28, 08:21 PM
The Jarl grin and laughs heartily. "You are ready to depart? Then turn and go, young ones. Your journey begins the moment you step outside this hall. Once you leave its doors, we can render no aid to you, not until you return victorious. If you have any questions, best to ask them now..." he nods solemnly.

Finding somebody to talk to won't be a problem for the two young vikings. The hall is full to bursting, with every member of the village present, including their family members, town elders, experienced warriors, and the keepers of lore. But Gothard and Niklaus have all they need; the sooner they set forth, the sooner they earn their glory.

Trobby
2012-04-28, 10:49 PM
Gothard for his part is going to go over to his father to wordlessly hug the man who has raised him from infancy, ever since his mother died of frost during the dead of winter long past. He being their only child, it has been a hard life for them, and he fully intends to make his father proud.

Benson
2012-04-29, 01:08 AM
As for Niklaus, he still had both his parents whom he most importantly had to bring honor to. There was an exchange of hugs, pats on the back, tears from his mother who didn't want her only son to go, even though she knew he had to.

From the corner of his eye, Niklaus spied Adele, the daughter of the Jarl himself, the girl he had a crush on for years. He could have sworn she looked his way, it was enough to make the quiet ranger flush. Perhaps with this, when he returned safety from completing the Trials, he could impress her, earn her favor. He then got an idea. He grabbed a a single flower from a decorative vase on the great table and approached her, she was likely busy talking with others about this, him and Gothard, he could only hope.

Niklaus called out for her attention and presented her with the flower. "Miss Adele, would you do me the honor of wishing me luck?"

Lycan 01
2012-04-29, 06:51 PM
Gothard's father grin proudly. "Your mother, grandfather, and all our ancestors looks upon you with pride, son. I know you will return, and with you, bring glory to yourself and our family!" he proclaims heartily, slapping his son on the shoulders.

However, despite his brave face, it is clearly evident that the man's eyes are filled with concern... perhaps fear. "And son..." his voice drops, and with it, his face. "You can bring back anything. But know that there is a difference between what you can take, and what you should take..." he somberly advises. His face then returns to its masque of proud joy. "Go on, son! Become the man you were born to be! My Fate find you worthy!" he yells proudly, and a chorus of hearty roars and mirthful laughs resound around the father and son.

Meanwhile, across the hall, Niklaus' attempts to gain Adele's attention have worked. The young viking woman turns her eyes - blue with a piercing gaze, just as her father's - upon the young tribesman. She is wearing a flowing white gown, is adorned with various gold ringlets and pieces of gemstones, and has her long golden hair done back in an intricate braid, so that a silver circlet can be clearly across her forehead. Clearly, she has gone to great lengths to wear her best attire and look as good as possible for the occasion. Whether she did it out of tradition, or specifically for Niklaus, is hard to say.

"Ah, Niklaus..." she says loftily, her eyes lighting up as a sly smile spreads across her face. "I was just telling my friends here about my hopes for you," she says, idly gesturing at a pair of her servant-girls. "Most men of this tribe would have tried to impress me with some sort of boast or proclamation," she idly observes, "Yet you have seen fit to offer me... a flower..." she says, raising an eyebrow at the plant in the ranger's hand. The servant-girls and several other bystanders whisper amongst themselves.

After a short (and probably nerve-wracking) pause, Adele smiles, and plucks the flower from Niklaus' hand. She proceeds to set it behind her ear, so that it is clearly visible. "I shall do you the honor of wishing you luck, brave warrior. May Fate smile kindly upon you, that you may return triumphant, and be granted great honor and favor," she factually states with a smirk. Niklaus is fairly certain the emphasis on that last word was not just his imagination.

Nilkaus can make a Spot check, if he wants.

Trobby
2012-04-29, 07:17 PM
"I shall do our family proud, father. And I promise you I shall come back a man of honor." Gothard says to his father, eyes locked intently upon the man who raised him from his youth.

"...Father..." The boy says, his tone dropping down to an even more grave level than usual. "This task before me...every man of the village has done it before...but I as a mere boy know nothing of it...before I go on my journey...will you tell me how you earned your honor, father?" He says, and perhaps for a moment his father can remember a happier time, when his son would beg for his father's attention, but get little of it. And now, looking at his son about to set off to become a man, he realizes that he has become grave indeed...and this may be his last chance to connect with him before he heads off into the harsh world, alone.

Lycan 01
2012-04-29, 11:00 PM
Gothard's father grows silent, and his expression falls. After a moment, he looks away, and sighs. "There were four of us," he murmurs. "I cannot tell you much of what transpired. Two of my friends brought back plates. I... I carried a serving platter with one arm. My other arm carried the body of my best friend, Yulthrund..." he says, his eyes distant.

Looking back at his son, the blacksmith frowns. "Sometimes, son, man's reach is beyond his grasp. A wise man knows his limits. He should recognize what he is capable of, as well as what he is not capable of. Learn from the wolf, son. Do not bite off more than you can chew..." he mutters.

Benson
2012-04-30, 12:29 AM
Niklaus managed to keep a decent poker face in her presence, it was almost hard with a such a pretty girl as she giving him the time and day. It was indeed a nerve wracking pause before she accepted the flower, a small sigh of relief escaping his lips and then back to poker facing.

"Thank you my lady Adele," He said as politely and unlamely as he could. He glanced up from the slight bow of his head, he could have sworn he saw something from the corner of his eye. Dur di der.

Spot: [roll0]

Lycan 01
2012-04-30, 12:55 AM
Out of the corner of his eye, Niklaus catches sight of the Jarl watching the interaction between his daughter and the young ranger. Niklaus cannot read his expression, however, so he has no idea whether its a stare of approval, disapproval, or barely restrained barbarian fury.

Trobby
2012-04-30, 06:51 AM
This time, Gothard is the one to bring his father back into the world with a pat on his shoulders. He looks down at his old man, and forces himself to flash a smile.

"Father..." He says with a color I forgot I was using. "I shall bring honor back home with me, I can promise you that. Both of us will."

Benson
2012-04-30, 10:56 AM
Niklaus felt it was safer to assume that look was one of barely restrained barbarian fury.

He lowered his head. 'Pardon my leave lady Adele.' With slight bow he stepped away.

Lycan 01
2012-04-30, 11:04 AM
Gothard's father nods solemnly, and gives him a final pat on the shoulder.

Adele nods to Niklaus as he goes, a sly smile still on her face.

Benson
2012-04-30, 01:37 PM
Niklaus

Well, Niklaus was ready to go, or so he believed he was. He was ready for the trials, to become a man, bring honor and glory to his tribe and family, and to win the lovely Adele's affections. he stood at the ready, subtly trying to pose as he looked beyond the doors of the great/grand hall. He awaited his companion and friend Gothard.

Trobby
2012-04-30, 04:06 PM
Gothard

With one final look back towards his father, Gothard turned his shoulder, and marched his way towards the entryway of the meadhall. He stands beside Niklaus, the mountainous sword in both hands, and looks down at the man whom he will be traveling with for the long journey ahead. He does not know him very well, yet he entrusts to this man his very life.

He nods down to Niklaus, wordlessly stepping through the gateway into the wild world beyond.

Lycan 01
2012-05-02, 08:00 PM
As the two young vikings open the door and step through, their whole world changes. The warmth and comfort of the mead-hall is replaced by frigid snow and biting cold, and the voices and music are drowned out by the harsh shrieking winds. As the door closes behind them, they found themselves standing in the center of town, in the midst of a snow storm. Thankfully, their armor is fur-lined and padded, keeping them warm enough for the time being.

The journey will take them far to the West. How they get there, though, is their choice. Down the hillside to the south, there's a river which the tribe uses for fishing and docking their boats. They river flows towards the West for many miles, surrounded by forests on either side, before cutting North through the mountains.

Simply heading due West would take them through several craggy passes and rough hillsides. Dense forests also blanket these hills and rocky peaks, and the river cuts across this path about halfway to the forsaken village.

So yeah, you can follow/use the river, or cut straight through the rugged countryside. Or maybe you'll come up with something else. :smalltongue:

Trobby
2012-05-02, 08:06 PM
"Nikolas." Gothard says, barking over the howling snowstorm. "You hold the map. I suggest that you lead the way."

Benson
2012-05-02, 08:22 PM
"Right," He said, as he shuddered for a second from the nipping cold. With gloved hands he unfurled the map and looked at it intensely. "I believe we should follow the course of the river." Benson briefly wonders if those two can use a boat, or if this has to be done by foot.

Lycan 01
2012-05-02, 08:24 PM
There are no rules regarding the use of boats, sleds, or hunks of ice. However, the difficulty lies in actually gaining access to one, and properly using it.

Trobby
2012-05-02, 08:27 PM
"Let's go down to the river." Gothard nods, already heading that way without another word of dialogue. He's never been in a boat before in his life, but if Nikolas would suggest it, then surely he knows how to guide a boat?

Lycan 01
2012-05-02, 08:39 PM
It only takes a few minutes for the two youths to follow a path down to the river.

There are a few piers set up, with various boats docked at them. There are a couple of viking longboats, as well as a few small rowboats tied up to the docks.

It doesn't look like anyone is around.

Trobby
2012-05-02, 08:46 PM
"...We should follow the river." Gothard says, taking only a passing glance at the longboats lined at the dock, before turning to follow the flow of the water. He has no interest in becoming a thief today.

Benson
2012-05-02, 09:10 PM
And neither did Niklaus want to become a thief. And so he walked down the river as well, at least they'd have a fresh source of water, as cold as it was.

He kept his eyes and ears alert as they navigated down the river.

Spot-[roll0]

Listen-[roll1]

Trobby
2012-05-02, 09:41 PM
After awhile, Gothard fell back behind him, letting the trailblazer keep the pace, even though his stride made it easy for him to out-pace him.

listen: [roll1]

Lycan 01
2012-05-04, 10:34 PM
The two youths do not have to journey for long before they have followed the river out of the village and into the open wilderness. The snow drifts along the riverside rise and fall with varying thickness, at times allowing for easy progress, at other times slowing them down. Soon, the trees become more common and thicker, though the treeline is some yards from the banks, giving them plenty of room. Many of the trees are birches, and their paper-like bark hangs loose about their trunks.

Y'all have been traveling about 30 minutes. Nothing too noteworthy has been seen or heard, other than the trees and the splashing of the river.

Trobby
2012-05-05, 08:00 AM
Gothard takes a moment to tear some of the loose bark off of the birch trees, recognizing it as thin and easy to burn, which will make setting tonight's campfire that much easier.

While considering survival tactics, he thinks about the food they've been given for this journey. It will almost certainly not last them. He calls out to Niklaus up ahead.

"Niklaus, we should make an attempt to find more food while there is still daylight." If they fail today, they will still have food for tonight. Better to gather early and be prepared than to wait and be dead.

Benson
2012-05-05, 06:19 PM
"Yes, I could try to hunt us some game, or try to catch some fish," Niklaus replied as he stood there staring off at the woods to the side and then glanced at the river.

Knowledge Nature Check on what sort of critters he could try to catch/hunt in these neck of the woods.

[roll0]

Lycan 01
2012-05-05, 08:39 PM
Niklaus:

This area is home to quite a few varieties of wildlife. Salmon and other fish can be found in the river, and the forest is home to rabbits, elk, foxes, wolves, raccoons, several species of bird, and the occasional bear.

Benson
2012-05-06, 04:45 PM
"How do you feel about rabbit Gothard?" Niklaus asked his companion with a small smirk.

Trobby
2012-05-06, 07:06 PM
"I would feel grateful to the gods on high if we could find one." Gothard replies. "Shall we pause to hunt, then carry what game we find to our camp for tonight?"

Benson
2012-05-07, 01:31 AM
"Yes, and we'll have to gather dry wood for the campfire," He said as he pulled out an arrow of his quiver and looked at the sharpness.

Trobby
2012-05-07, 06:54 AM
Gothard likewise pulled out one of his knives. Admittedly not as good for hunting, but it would have to do. He looked about for a landmark, and spied a sharp bend in the river. He pointed to it with his dagger.

"We shall meet there when we have finished gathering what we need."

Benson
2012-05-07, 12:19 PM
"Very well," He nodded with he drew his bow from over his left shoulder. He began to creep into the woods, as silently he could in the snow.

Move Silently- [roll0]

Survival to look for tracks for small game: [roll1]

Trobby
2012-05-07, 02:14 PM
Gothard did likewise, taking a different route that kept him close to the edge of the woods, doing his best to keep a silent foot.

Move Silently: [roll0]
Hunt&Gather (Survival): [roll1]

Lycan 01
2012-05-07, 03:25 PM
Niklaus:

Aside from the occasional crunch of snow beneath your feet, you manage to move mostly silently through the snowy woods.

Unfortunately, you do not find any rabbit tracks, or at least none that can be followed. You do, however, spot several sets of elk tracks.

Gothard:

You manage to avoid snapping any twigs, though there are some moments when the snow crunches loudly beneath your feet, or a tree limb clinks against the sword on your back.

Nevertheless, you eventually find a rabbit. Unfortunately, its already dead, and most of it has been devoured by the various carrion-feeders in the woods. Still, there's a little bit of meat left on it, and most of the bones are intact. The meat may not be fit for human consumption, but it may have other uses, while the bones could perhaps be used for a stew or something.

Benson
2012-05-07, 05:12 PM
Perhaps luck was upon him, sure elk was much bigger game and bit more difficult, but if he could hunt himself a small calf, he and Gothard could manage themselves for maybe three days. Maybe.

He then begins to Track down these elk tracks.

Survival + Bonus (2) for Favored enemy (animals) if it applies here, otherwise ignore two points.

[roll0]

Trobby
2012-05-07, 05:39 PM
Well...rotted rabbit flesh doesn't strike Gothard as being terribly useful. Nevertheless, he will gather the small bones of the creature, which could still make good marrow for a stew.

For stew though, he will need a fire. Gothard shifts his focus to seeking out dried wood and branches for the night's fire, hoping he will fare a bit better.

[roll0]

Lycan 01
2012-05-07, 06:53 PM
Niklaus:
You manage to follow the elf tracks, but in the process, you step on a branch. As the twig-snap echoes through the forest, you hear the sound of stamping hooves ahead. It sounds like you've spooked them...

Gothard: You stuff the smelly corpse into your backpack. You also manage to find several broken branches and twigs, as well as bark from some birch trees. Firewood is now something you have plenty of.

Benson
2012-05-07, 07:01 PM
Niklaus softly curses to himself and makes a quick gesture to determine what direction it seems the the stampede is going.

Listen [roll0]

Trobby
2012-05-07, 07:13 PM
Gothard packs the firewood in his sack, around the corpse of the bunny, so that it won't get on the rest of his gear too much.

On the way back towards the bend, he'll look for some things to add to his bare-bones stew. Mushrooms growing in soft damp dirt, or soft roots to boil down, bitter though they may be.

Survival: [roll0]
Listen: *In OOC*

Lycan 01
2012-05-07, 07:19 PM
Gothard: You manage to find a few non-toxic mushrooms, as well as a small juniper bush. While most of its berries have been eaten by birds, there are more than enough left to provide you with a full meal.

Not far in the distance, you hear a twig snap.

Niklaus: The herd is moving deeper into the forest, towards rougher terrain.

Benson
2012-05-07, 07:40 PM
Niklaus grips his bow tightly in his left hand and grabs an arrow and sets himself up. He then makes a dash to follow the stampede, he still has a chance and he's willing to take it.

Survival Check for Pursuit/blah blah favored enemy animal bonus included- [roll0]

Trobby
2012-05-07, 08:03 PM
Gothard gathers up what he has in his sack and tries to find his way towards the noise, keeping a wary eye and ear out for whatever caused it.

Listen: [roll1]

Lycan 01
2012-05-07, 08:10 PM
Niklaus: You race forth into the heart of the wilderness, leaping over fallen trees and ducking low-hanging branches in your pursuit of the elk. You can now hear the galloping of their hooves, and after a few moments of running, you begin to catch fleeting glances of their majestic figures bounding amongst the trees and rocks ahead of you. If you took a shot now, if may miss, but trying to get a better shot would mean having to maintain the pursuit for longer.

Gothard: Squirrel!

Trobby
2012-05-07, 09:43 PM
Damn squirrel. So clumsy and...

Hey wait...that would make for better eating than a rotten rabbit.

...Gothard attacks the squirrel with his hunting knife.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Benson
2012-05-07, 10:05 PM
Niklaus decides to make use of Adele's luck as he pulled back on his bow with the arrow in place, his target, one of the small elk calves.

Lycan 01
2012-05-07, 10:13 PM
Gothard: The squirrel is not expecting your attack. Unfortunately, its sitting up on a tree limb, so all you manage to do is jump up and hack the branch off the tree. Still, the squirrel is caught off guard, and falls to the ground. Its cute chittering is probably squirrel talk for horror and fear, and it begins to frantically scurry towards the trunk of the tree.

Niklaus: The arrow flies free, but fails to meet its mark. The baby elk weaves around a tree, and the arrow buries itself in the bark of the sapling rather than the flesh of the fawn.

((Survival to give chase again, or take another shot with further penalties))

Trobby
2012-05-07, 10:16 PM
Acting with haste and cursing his foolishness, Gothard attempts once more to skewer the squirrel upon his blade. He knows it isn't terribly heroic to eat squirrels, but he would prefer to know at this early stage that he can rely on his wits to keep his hunger sated. And he shall not back down so easily.

...Even if his foe is tiny and fuzzy.

Benson
2012-05-07, 10:22 PM
Curses.

He was too deep into this to just give up because of one untrue arrow.

Survival Check to continue pursuing, that baby elk was his his favored enemy more so now xD....!

[roll0]

Lycan 01
2012-05-07, 10:24 PM
Gothard: You bury your blade deeply... in the snow. The squirrel dodges the attack, and continues to flee.

Niklaus: Your feet fly over snow and stone, and as you vault another fallen tree, you rapidly close the distance on the elks.

Trobby
2012-05-07, 10:29 PM
Gothard continues to press the attack. He is so glad that nobody else is here to see this. Other than his ancestors perhaps. But he can bear the burden of their shame...what he could not bear is the jeers of little boys from his childhood teasing him for trying to chase after a squirrel. Bad...bad memories...

...Yes he is going to try to get the squirrel again.

Benson
2012-05-07, 10:41 PM
He bit down his lip, this calf was going to be more of a hassle, he would have to settle for an adult, as much more of a hassle that proposes. Actually, this damn calf was proving more a hassle.

Attack (adult elk): [roll0]

Lycan 01
2012-05-07, 10:49 PM
Gothard: You throw yourself forward, slamming your blade down as you sprawl yourself out in the snow. With a sickening squelch, the dagger rends through the back of the squirrel and pins it to the ground. The poor creature squeaks, spasms twice, and then dies, its warm blood slowly spreading out onto the snow beneath it.

Niklaus: A few sparks fly as the arrow glances off a rock near the fleeing elk.

Trobby
2012-05-07, 10:54 PM
As the creature dies, Gothard thanks whatever strange gods have provided him this meager meal, placing it carefully in his sack around some cloth. He shall search one more time for food as he heads back towards the meeting place for him and Nikolas, hoping that his friend has fared a bit better. He does not particularly relish the thought of having to share a squirrel tonight.

Benson
2012-05-07, 10:57 PM
He attempts one more shot, if he didn't get this on a third try, well then, he would just have to take it as a sign that elk was not on the menu.

ATT: [roll0]

DAM: [roll1]

Lycan 01
2012-05-07, 11:09 PM
Gothard: You find nothing else on your way back to the meeting place. Hm. No sign of Niklaus...

Niklaus: The arrow strikes true, and buries itself in the elk's flank. Unfortunately, the beast is still trying to flee, though its not moving as quickly now, and is lagging behind the rest of the herd.

Benson
2012-05-07, 11:11 PM
[I don't know what the penalty is now since its moving slower now, so you could just determine it)

Attack: [roll1d20+3[/roll]

Damage: [roll0]

Trobby
2012-05-07, 11:20 PM
Hmm...no sign of his traveling companion...but he will find his way back in time...for now, Gothard will work on preparing his meal.

Looking at his supplies, however, he finds that he lacks the tools to prepare his meat. His first order of business, therefore, is to make proper tools.

He shall search for a stone with a sharp edge and hard composition, with which to chisel. Once he has found an appropriate stone, he shall test it against a large piece of wood, attempting to make a basin or bowl in which to hold river water.

Once these basic tools are made, he shall fill the basin with water, beneath which he shall light a fire, then add the rabbit bones, squirrel flesh, and mushrooms to make a nourishing, if somewhat gamey soup.

Ah but first, the tools.

Craft (Tools): [roll0]

Lycan 01
2012-05-07, 11:26 PM
Niklaus: With an agonize neigh, the elk falls to its knees, another arrow jutting from its lower back. It shakily tries to regain its footing, but after a moment it collapses into the snow, which is rapidly staining crimson from the blood freely running down its body.

Gothard: You find a few chunks of a wood, as well as a few rocks. Whether they are sharp or strong enough to hack through wood, though, is questionable.

Benson
2012-05-07, 11:39 PM
After waiting a moment for the stampede of elk to move on, Niklaus made his way to the fallen elk. He pulled out his dagger and if it was still barely alive and dying, he would mercy kill it and give a little prayer for its death. He pulled out the two arrows from the elk and put them in his quiver.

He then began to carve into the flesh of the elk, he wiped his brow as the blood squirted out.

Survival Check: [Getting the best meat from this he could] [roll0]

Trobby
2012-05-07, 11:52 PM
It occurs to Gothard that a wood bowl would burn...so he will try instead to use a thin stone slab on which to cook it...then he decides he might as well put the rabbit bones on the stone as well, to warm the marrow up a bit. With the flint and steel, and the bit of bark beneath the kindling to ignite, he shall attempt to start a fire, as well as a meal.

Lycan 01
2012-05-08, 10:11 PM
Niklaus: You manage to flay off 4 slabs of choice meat, as well as carve off the hind legs and cut them down to haunches. Unfortunately, there's no way you'll be able to carry it all by yourself. You can either take the slices of meat, or one haunch.

Gothard: You manage to light a small fire, which quickly grows into a hearty blaze. The rock is slow to warm up, however. The meat is cooking, or so it smells, but it will take awhile to cook all the way through. You can either wait, or try a different technique.

Trobby
2012-05-08, 10:22 PM
To entice the fire to burn harder, Gothard attempts to feed it oxygen. He leans down, and prepares to blow into the air pocket beneath the larger bits of wood.

Benson
2012-05-09, 10:30 AM
Niklaus shall pick up the slabs of choice meat, he felt he deserved it after the frustrations he took to get it. He got out his rope and tied the four slabs together.

Use Rope for a good tying: [roll0]

Lycan 01
2012-05-09, 09:47 PM
Gothard: As you blow on the flames, they begin to flicker. Thankfully, they do not go out, but they do not grow much, either.

Niklaus: You manage to bind the four slabs of meat together, allowing for easy transport.

Trobby
2012-05-09, 10:09 PM
Undeterred, Gothard will add a little more fuel to the fire, sticks and bark and some larger bits of wood, carefully balancing them to try to encourage a hotter flame to grow.

survival: [roll0]

Benson
2012-05-09, 11:36 PM
While heavy, Niklaus puts his strength into carrying the raw slabs of meat, and begins to make his way back to the meeting spot Gothard picked out.

Lycan 01
2012-05-09, 11:46 PM
Gothard manages to breathe an extra bit of life into the fire. As he continues to blow on it and feed the flames, Niklaus finally staggers out of the woods, several hunks of meat held in his arms.

Trobby
2012-05-10, 08:04 AM
Gothard raises his hand to Niklaus, waving at him to signal where he is. He's rather impressed by the sight of the elk meat, a far cry from what he managed to scrounge up.

"It looks as though you've done a bit better than me." He says, shifting position to make room for Niklaus.

Benson
2012-05-10, 09:58 AM
"It was a pain to acquire, wound up losing three arrows, I'm just grateful I didn't get attacked by wolves along the way." He chuckled and walked closer to the campfire. He started to untie the tied together meat. "Its just a shame I will not likely be able to recover more meat from the kill, who knows what carrion critters are devouring the body right now."

Trobby
2012-05-10, 11:11 AM
"Such is the nature of life, Niklaus." Gothard comments, and pokes his meat with his knife to see if it is cooked through yet. Rawness wouldn't bother him too much. It's not like he can be picky. "Besides...it is a mite better than what I managed to catch. He gestures to the sorrowful showing of squirrelmeat and mushrooms.

Benson
2012-05-10, 11:58 AM
"Such is the nature of life, Niklaus." Gothard comments, and pokes his meat with his knife to see if it is cooked through yet. Rawness wouldn't bother him too much. It's not like he can be picky. "Besides...it is a mite better than what I managed to catch. He gestures to the sorrowful showing of squirrelmeat and mushrooms.

Niklaus just chuckled. "Yes, right, just a 'mite better', well, you're more than welcomed to the meat. I think, we could make these last two days between the both of us." He self assuredly nodded.

Trobby
2012-05-10, 12:04 PM
"Yes...but we'd better smoke what we don't eat tonight." Gothard adds. "If we have the sort of luck I had today, we'll need all the reserves we can find."

Benson
2012-05-10, 01:03 PM
"Mmm, that would be a good idea, we could dig a hole, make a fire in it and smoke the meat, but that would take hours and we still have ways to go before we set up a proper camp for the night." He said laying the meat on the fresh snow, on top of eachother. "I don't think we'll have to worry about immediate spoilage given the rather cold weather."

Trobby
2012-05-10, 01:24 PM
"Oh...yes, you have a point." Gothard says. He considers this while sliding the small rodent meal off onto his rather pointlessly made wooden bowl, clearing the space for Niklaus to make his own food preparations.

"...I am somewhat ill-prepared for this." He admits between bites of gamey meat.

Benson
2012-05-10, 03:04 PM
"Me neither, more so in the mental aspect. Admittedly, I both dreaded and awaited this day," He let out a wan chuckled as he withdrew his knife and began to cut one of the slabs of meat into three smaller slices for quicker and thorough cooking when Gothard was finished cooking his meat.

Trobby
2012-05-10, 03:25 PM
"Mmh...what is there to learning but knowing how?" Gothard says between bites, shifting a little closer to the warmth of the cooking fire.

Benson
2012-05-10, 06:41 PM
"Mmh...what is there to learning but knowing how?" Gothard says between bites, shifting a little closer to the warmth of the cooking fire.

Niklaus 'hmmmed' as he grabbed two of his smaller slices of elk meat and began to cook them with Gothard's fire.

"This would taste better with salt," He said aloud with a lopsidedly smirk.

Survival Check to cook the meat well enough to avoid food poisoning (:smalltongue:) [roll0]

Lycan 01
2012-05-10, 06:49 PM
The meat sizzles and steams, cooking to perfection. Or at least, as perfect as one can get cooking on a rock.

Benson
2012-05-11, 10:33 AM
"Gothard, you're more than welcomed to the elk meat," He said as he bit into his piece of cooked elk meat. Yep, could definitely need salt. If he could find some herbs, maybe he could make a rub for next time. Yea...mmm..oregano could be nice..rosemary...chives....yum.

Trobby
2012-05-11, 12:18 PM
Gothard hesitates at first...but considering his own gamey meal, and the fact that he is indeed still hungry, he will take a modest portion of elk meat gratefully.

"Thank you, Niklaus."

He will otherwise eat in silence.

Benson
2012-05-11, 08:11 PM
It was really quiet, depressingly so as the two ate in silence, he never figured for Gothard to be such a quiet one. So instead as he ate his saltless meat, and kept an ear out in his surroundings, glancing around every so often to keep an eye out.

Listen: [roll0]

Spot: [roll1]

Lycan 01
2012-05-12, 05:36 PM
The only sounds audible are the distant chips of the forest's birds, and the noises associated with a running, ice-filled river.

Trobby
2012-05-12, 08:20 PM
Once they are finished, Gothard gathers his thinks, looking towards the river.

"We should try to make some more headway before nightfall, then set our camp near the river."

Benson
2012-05-12, 09:27 PM
"Right..." He said collecting his things, the meat which he would keep slung over his back with the rope. He started to put out the fire, smothering it snow.

Lycan 01
2012-05-12, 09:44 PM
The two youths finish gathering their things and extinguish the fire. Once more, they begin their trek to glory.

The next few hours are relatively uneventful. Trudging through the snow, watching the birds fly overheard, listening to the burbling, sloshing river... Eventually, though, the terrain begins to grow rougher. Small rocks begin to appear, jutting from the snow, while even smaller rocks lay hidden beneath the frozen powder. Gothard and Niklaus find that its becoming more and more difficult to keep their footing and maintain a steady pace.

The other side of the river, though, appears to be much less rough in terrain. If they could somehow cross the river, their passage would be much smoother, for a time at least.

You can cross the river, or keep going on this side. If you choose the latter, you'll need to make some rolls to keep up a good pace.

Trobby
2012-05-12, 10:28 PM
Gothard looks to Niklaus, considering the options that they have available to them before reaching his decision.

"We should continue on the path. The river is ice cold, and it would do no good to get ourselves soaked."

Benson
2012-05-13, 12:56 AM
Gothard looks to Niklaus, considering the options that they have available to them before reaching his decision.

"We should continue on the path. The river is ice cold, and it would do no good to get ourselves soaked."

"I'll have to agree with you friend,' Niklaus said looking at the cold rover warily, he was not a particularly good swimmer either if things got worse. He continued to walk down this side of the river they were on.

Lycan 01
2012-05-15, 12:45 AM
Despite the challenging terrain, Gothard and Niklaus manage to press on and keep up a good, steady pace.

No other obstacles arise during the rest of the afternoon's journey. They continue their trek along the river until the sun begins to set. Darkness won't fall for another half our or so, during which time they can continue to trek, or begin preparing some sort of camp.

You can stop to start making camp, or keep going... as long as you want, really.

And its up to you how you want to make camp. You can build a fire, make a shelter, or just curl up under your blankets with no fire and no shelter. Different decisions will carry different risks and outcomes...

Trobby
2012-05-15, 09:29 AM
"Hold, Niklaus. We should make camp for the night." Gothard looks around for a moment for a nearby tree. "We should hang our bags in a branch, to dissuade nighttime scavengers, and make camp beneath low eaves to provide cover from the elements."

Of course ideally they would want to make something like a tent, but these are at least a start for suggestions.

Benson
2012-05-15, 06:15 PM
Niklaus nodded at his companion, he did like the idea of hanging their bags of supplies.

"Alright, I'll go collect some firewood and we can have ourselves a nice warm fire, and cook up a steak to share tonight," He said giving his bag to Gothard to hang with his own.

He then went in search of dry wood and stones to make a fire pit, especially if they're going to have a fire going long into the night.

Search: [roll0]

Trobby
2012-05-15, 06:30 PM
Gothard, meanwhile, set to making camp. He bent a tree branch low and tied it with a bit of rope, overlaying it with a few more to make a canopy to keep them dry, and laid out a circle of rocks for a fire pit, clearing out the snow and gathering up fallen twigs for the fire.

Lycan 01
2012-05-17, 07:38 PM
Niklaus is able to find a few branches, but there are no visible stones. The snow in this area is too thick.

Gothard is able to bend a branch low and tie it down, and clear out a spot of snow nearby. The shelter he makes is not the best shelter ever, though its certainly not the worst. The branches he finds for the lean-to are mostly barren of leaves, so their insulating and protective qualities are... lacking.

Benson
2012-05-17, 07:56 PM
Niklaus was a little upset he couldn't find some large stones to surround the fire, they would have to be careful about the fire, of course.

With the small bundle of sticks he managed to acquire, he returned to the campside.

Trobby
2012-05-17, 08:06 PM
Gothard is somewhat disappointed at the lackluster campsite, but nevertheless settles for it. Hopefully it will not snow too heavily tonight.

"If only we had a basic tent...or a large fur to wrap over the branches..." He then sees Niklaus return with his supply of sticks.

"Well then, friend, let us build our fire and warm ourselves before we sleep. We shall need to be well-rested for the morrow."

Benson
2012-05-18, 02:53 PM
"Alas, all we seem to have are our winter blankets," Niklaus said, though if either of them sacrificed their blanket for a makeshift roof covering, one of 'em would likely just freeze to death. Fire or not fire.

"Alright...whelp...I'll cook us dinner, we still got three slabs of meat left and our rations," He really did wish for some salt, he liked meat and all, but by Odin's beard, was it near tasteless, the fat only did so much.

Niklaus begins to make the fire, trying to make the best of the bundle he managed across.

Make a fire- Survival Check: [roll0]

Lycan 01
2012-05-18, 05:08 PM
The flames flicker, barely catching some of the kindling. The fire is very slow to build, producing more smoke than heat.

Benson
2012-05-19, 01:04 AM
Niklaus frowned, coughing a bit from in the smoke that swept up his nose. "Well...I'd say this is off to an unpleasant start. I need more wood, better wood."

Trobby
2012-05-19, 10:13 AM
"Mmh...leave it to me." Gothard says, standing up from the sparse canopy. "Tend to the fire, and I will get you more firewood."

Gothard ventures out a ways from the camp, attempting to gather firewood while Niklaus works on their source of life-sustaining warmth.

Lycan 01
2012-05-19, 08:16 PM
Gothard finds a few sticks that aren't wet or icy. Enough to serve as basic kindling, but not enough to create a healthy roaring fire.

Trobby
2012-05-20, 10:32 AM
"I haven't fared much better." Gothard says, bringing back his paltry collection of sticks.

Benson
2012-05-21, 10:24 AM
"It would seem nature has it out for us in terms of staying warm," Niklaus wanly smiled. "But every bit helps."

Trobby
2012-05-21, 08:57 PM
"You're a fair bit better at this than me." Gothard says, feeling like dead weight compared to how well Niklaus seems to be doing.

Benson
2012-05-21, 10:53 PM
Niklaus wanly smiled as it dipped into a frown. "Don't be hard on yourself, you managed us a rip roaring fire earlier and managed to find some better quality wood than I." He recalled the few rather..wettish firewood he managed, hence all the smoke.

Trobby
2012-05-22, 02:44 PM
"...shall I make one more try? Perhaps there is better wood a little bit further from camp." He suggests. Sensing the need to lighten the mood, he offers an (obviously rather awkward) smile.

Benson
2012-05-22, 04:20 PM
"Sure, but please do be careful considering its getting closer to darkness," Niklaus said as he used the wood Gothard retrieved to keep the small fire going.

Trobby
2012-05-23, 04:12 PM
"Hmm...actually, I just remembered something. Hold on for just a moment."

Gothard opens his backpack, and takes out the packed-in bark and wood pieces that he had gathered earlier in the day.

"I'd nearly forgotten about these. This should help us keep the fire going at least a bit longer."

Benson
2012-05-23, 05:50 PM
"Oh, good hindsight there Gothard," Niklaus lightly chuckled, welcoming the additional bark and what not to the fire.

Trobby
2012-05-23, 08:29 PM
"Just be glad I didn't use this sooner, or we wouldn't have it now." Gothard points out. "Tomorrow, we'd do well to gather extra wood for the night's fire, so we do not repeat this folly"

Lycan 01
2012-05-24, 02:17 AM
The birch bark, being so thin and dry, easily alights. Within moments, the flames flicker and burst into life, sending a fresh plume of smoke into the air. It doesn't take long for the rest of the kindling to catch, and soon there's a roaring fire.

There's enough firewood to keep the fire going through much of the night, but unless more firewood is gathered, it will likely die down sometime after midnight if not extinguished before then.

Keeping the fire lit through the night has its own advantages and disadvantages...

Benson
2012-05-24, 11:31 AM
"Hmmm, Gothard, do you think if I use the fat from the meat to get some flare ups going, it could keep the fire going for a bit?" He asked as he looked at the meat in one hand, and dagger knife in the other.

Trobby
2012-05-24, 01:08 PM
"Possibly, but we'll need something more substantial to keep it burning. Do you intend for it to last through the night?"

Benson
2012-05-24, 02:14 PM
"I would like to, but I don't see that happening," Niklaus said with a slight frown.

Trobby
2012-05-24, 07:52 PM
"Right, we'll burn out what we've got now, and then settle into our bedrolls."

Benson
2012-05-25, 11:43 AM
"I was going to eat first though, sun hasn't even set," He said as he finished cutting the steak in two. He stabbed one of the pieces of the pieces with his dagger and held it over the fire, being careful not to burn himself.

Cooking/Survival: [roll0]

Lycan 01
2012-05-26, 08:24 PM
The meat sizzles and steams, slowly cooking over the open flame. The knife stuck through it also begins to heat up, helping to cook the meat from the inside as well. Before long, Niklaus has managed to prepare a rather decent meal, which should keep both vikings satisfied for the night.

Trobby
2012-05-26, 09:19 PM
Gothard nods to his friend, and thankfully takes a share of the meat, before slipping into his bedroll, and wrapping himself in a winter blanket.

Benson
2012-05-28, 12:36 AM
Niklaus, somewhat satisfied with his meal, nommed away before getting tired himself. Eventually he would curl up on his bed roll, with his blanket and try to get some sleep, the fire threatening to die soon.

Benson
2012-05-31, 08:20 PM

Trobby
2012-05-31, 08:56 PM

Lycan 01
2012-05-31, 09:57 PM
Niklaus: You hear the faint howling of wolves in the distance as you begin to drift off to sleep. Just as you close your eyes, the dying firelight flickers up a bit, and you catch a glimpse of a dark shape moving between the trees nearby.

Gothard: As you begin to drift off to sleep, you hear the howling of wolves far in the distance. Too far to be of any risk, more than likely. However, you also hear the soft crunching of snow, indicating something moving nearby.

Trobby
2012-05-31, 10:54 PM
Gothard worries, but decides to disregard the wolves...it's not until he hears the crunching of snow nearby that he chooses to act.

"Niklaus." He says, gently nudging his friend with one hand, keeping his other hand close to his weapon. He is thankful that he keeps both armor and weapon at the ready while asleep. "Niklaus, I hear something near our camp."

Benson
2012-05-31, 11:01 PM
"I know...I...myself...just saw something..." He said with his eyes open, he himself laying there on his bedroll. He reached over to grab his bow and quiver that he kept next to him where he was going to sleep.

"It may a wolf or some such creature..." He whispered as he sat up.

Trobby
2012-05-31, 11:07 PM
"I heard some wolves a fair distance off...perhaps a straggler?" Gothard says, dropping into a quieter tone.

Benson
2012-05-31, 11:40 PM
Niklaus gripped his bow and reached for an arrow as he scanned the area. "Perhaps you're right about that."

Spot Check: [roll0]

Lycan 01
2012-06-01, 11:11 PM
After a moment, the two vikings both hear the crunching of snow and the rustling of foliage. However, the noises sound like they're heading away from the camp...

Trobby
2012-06-02, 08:07 AM
"...I think whatever it was heard us." Gothard suggests. "Which means it could return when we return to sleep."

Benson
2012-06-02, 02:38 PM
"I don't know....." He said staring out into the darkness. "Perhaps...we should keep watches? Take turns while the other rests.'

Trobby
2012-06-02, 02:41 PM
"Yes...that will probably be wise." Gothard nods. "I'll take the first watch, and wake you when it is time for yours."

Benson
2012-06-02, 02:48 PM
"Very well, thank you," Niklaus said remaining cautious though as he loosened his grip on the bow before snuggling back under his covers and unto his bedroll. The grip he held on his bow eventually loosened to where the bow slipped out as he forced himself to sleep.

Trobby
2012-06-05, 04:06 PM
Gothard meanwhile stays awake, keeping alert with his sword in hand, blanket wrapped around himself to keep warm as he watches over the camp.

Lycan 01
2012-06-08, 06:20 AM
Gothard sees and hears nothing of interest while he stays watch. Eventually he trades rolls with Niklaus, and the ranger doesn't hear or see anything during his shift either.

Dawn silently arrives, the eastern horizon slowly growing lighter. Before long, the dark sky above begins to slowly fade into various tones of blue, with scattered clouds splotched with dark hues of purple and burnt orange. In the distance, the calls of various birds and creatures can be heard. The forest is waking up; the vikings should follow suit.

Benson
2012-06-08, 06:56 AM
Niklaus stretched, shivering a bit in the process as he awoke on his bedroll, under his blanket. So cold. He sat up and stretched some more, moving his arms around to get his blood going.

He glanced over at Gothard and called to him. "Hey Gothard, up and at 'em. Tis the morn."

Trobby
2012-06-08, 10:30 AM
Gothard rose from his bedroll, casting off the heavy blanket that had kept him warm at night, stretching out each limb as he stood up.

"Ah, so it is." He says, looking blearily at the sun. "Let us gather our things. We'd best prepare for the day ahead."

Benson
2012-06-08, 03:33 PM
"Right," He said absentmindedly as he picked up his belongings. He then stopped, curious about what visited them last night. He crouched and began to look for prints in the snow.

Lycan 01
2012-06-08, 03:50 PM
After a few minutes of searching, Gothard finds some tracks. They look similar to his own footprints, but much larger, and the toes seem to terminate in sharp points, as though to indicate claws. The tracks seem to form a semi-circle around the camp, as though whatever it was had been scouting the perimeter.

Benson
2012-06-08, 07:54 PM
Ahem, Niklaus, furrowed his brows at the sight of such odd foot prints. Were they wolfen? Some sort of legendary man-beast? He called Gothard over to have a look.

"Gothard, you may want to see these prints. What do you make of them?" He asked rubbing his chin and stared at the unusual foot prints.

Trobby
2012-06-08, 08:17 PM
Gothard took a moment to consider the strange-looking tracks.

"...Some type of bear?"

...Gothard is not one to consult when trying to consider tracks, apparently.

Benson
2012-06-08, 08:28 PM
Niklaus took the moment to try to draw up on past knowledge about animal prints.

Knowledge Nature to see what animal these prints resembled: [roll0]

Lycan 01
2012-06-08, 08:32 PM
Niklaus: Some sort of apex predator. Similar to a bear, yet too humanoid. Nothing you've ever seen before with your own eyes. It may be one of those things the older warriors talk about with whispered words and furtive glances... but those aren't actually real, right?

Benson
2012-06-08, 08:54 PM
It was worrisome indeed, more worrisome was why didn't it attack them, if it was a bear, it was definitely much too damn quiet. he quickly checked to see if the meat he had was still hanging on the branch it was tied to.

Lycan 01
2012-06-12, 06:27 AM
Yes, the meat is still hanging. Nothing in the campsite itself has been messed with. How curious.

Trobby
2012-06-12, 10:05 AM
"We should get moving." Gothard suggests. "Whatever it was did not do us harm, but it could be back soon enough."

Benson
2012-06-12, 02:50 PM
"Yes, let us go comrade," Niklaus nodded as he collected his things and pulled out the map to check just far in miles they had.

(I don't know if this requires a roll)

Trobby
2012-06-14, 01:35 PM
Gothard nods, gathering up the supplies that they need from camp while Niklaus checks the map. At the same time, he attempts to harvest some firewood from the tree they had previously been using for shelter.

Lycan 01
2012-06-14, 01:41 PM
The two vikings are a little bit over a third of the way to their destination.

Gothard manages to break off a few branches from the tree to use later.

It doesn't take long for the two men to gather their gear, pack their kits, and be prepared to begin their journey anew. Whether they wish to hunt/gather now or later is up to them.

Trobby
2012-06-14, 01:43 PM
"Well then, we are ready to depart, if you feel confident in our route, Niklaus." Gothard says after everything is packed up. "Shall we head out?"

Benson
2012-06-14, 02:23 PM
"No, let's stay right here," Niklaus said playfully cheekily with a small smile. He checked his map again, watched the flow of the river to make sure they were still headed...whatever direction again they needed to be. He put the map back in its tube, etc etc.

He did refill his water-skin with the fresh water river though as he was content with the rest of the food supplies.

And so forth they trekked.

Trobby
2012-06-14, 02:25 PM
Forth they trekked indeed! Gothard made sure to fill his waterskin as well while following Niklaus's lead.

Lycan 01
2012-06-15, 11:42 AM
The next few hours are relatively uneventful. The two viking youths trek through the snow, following alongside the river. After a few hours, though, they begin to find themselves growing fatigued. The growling of their stomachs and the weakness in their limbs is a stark reminder that they haven't eaten breakfast.

Keep pressing forward, or stop to eat/hunt? All rolls now take a -2 penalty until your character has filled his belly.

Trobby
2012-06-15, 12:15 PM
"Hold, Niklaus." Gothard says. "Before we continue, we should find something to eat."

Benson
2012-06-15, 12:46 PM
"Fine, just make a fire, I still have meat from yesterday we can eat, and there's still the rations we were given," Niklaus furrowed his brows, he felt he was more than able to keep going. Over confidence and all.

Trobby
2012-06-15, 02:18 PM
Gothard was nothing if not patient though. He gathered up a bit of surrounding kindling to make a small cooking fire.

Lycan 01
2012-06-16, 04:40 PM
As Gothard begins to pick up small twigs and sticks, a crack of thunder suddenly splits the sky. Lightning streaks down from the cloudy, overcast sky, and strikes a nearby tree. The tree, for the most part, is spared. However, one thick tree limb thumps heavily into the snow. The end severed from the tree is ablaze, and within moments the ignited tree limb produces a roaring fire.

Nature is weird like that.

Trobby
2012-06-16, 07:00 PM
"...You know...I would be grateful for this...if not for the odd feeling that it will never be this easy again." Gothard says in comment to his apparent luck.

Benson
2012-06-16, 08:52 PM
Niklaus sported a contained surprised look on his face. "That.......was really random, I...I have no proper words to relay my thoughts right now."

Trobby
2012-06-16, 10:26 PM
"I think the proper response now, Niklaus, is...breakfast."

Benson
2012-06-17, 12:49 PM
"Yes, of course, breakfast, whelp, we shall have us some meat, hopefully its still good," He playfully winked before he got his dagger and a slab of meat and began to cut it into smaller strips for easier and more thorough cooking.

[survival:cooking: [roll0]

Lycan 01
2012-06-17, 12:54 PM
Niklaus manages to cook the meat thoroughly. Its not bacon, but its still tastes pretty good, and is rather fulfilling.

Benson
2012-06-18, 05:16 AM
"Mmmm, whelp, here ya go Gothard, leftovers, gotta love 'em," He said holding the dagger with the kebob'd pieces of meat. "Have some."

Trobby
2012-06-18, 10:49 AM
Gothard graciously takes the cooked meat. "We will need the energy for the day ahead. These lands are unforgiving."

Benson
2012-06-19, 09:10 AM
"I believe that sentiment is mutual," He said as he nommed away his meat, which could use some salt still. He wished he had other subsistence other than protein providing meat, but alas, he had what he had. Aside from the non descript rations, which are probably beef jerky, for giggles.

Trobby
2012-06-19, 03:54 PM
Given their high preservation rate, that is likely.

Once Gothard is done he gathers what he can from the fortune of nature to supplement their wood supplies, waiting for Niklaus to finish as well so they can continue their journey

Benson
2012-06-20, 01:03 PM
After lunch as so it could be called, Niklaus took a quick inventory of his food. One slab of meat, which would likely be consumed for dinner tonight, and the rations. Oh, he'd be fine :smalltongue: He took a drink of his water before refilling it with fresh river water, which had all kinds of interesting flavors, mostly rock flavored, mmmm, minerals.

Anyway, afterwards he would continue along with their journey, trudging along on the hard ground.

Lycan 01
2012-06-23, 08:29 PM
The rest of the day's journey is relatively uneventful, other than an eerie moment involving dozens of random squirrels just staring at the vikings in silence from the trees as the two men passed by.

After awhile, the river begins to gently curve from side to side. Finally, the river makes a left turn at about 60 degrees. According to the map, the vikings are supposed to cross the river here, or somewhere nearby, if they are to continue their journey.

The sun will be setting in about an hour. The vikings can go ahead and try to find a way across and then set up camp, or they can try to set up camp now and cross in the morning. Dinner would also probably be a good idea, sooner or later...

Trobby
2012-06-23, 09:34 PM
Gothard keeps his head low as the squirrels stare at them, trying not to catch their eyes.

------------------------------------------------------

Once they reach the river crossing, Gothard looks about to see if there are any obvious spots where the river might be easier to cross. Rock croppings or a shallow or narrow part of the river that might be easier to cross.

Lycan 01
2012-06-25, 01:01 PM
There river is quite deep at this point, though there are a few rocks and boulders scattered along the banks and in the water. There are a few patches of ice growing along the bank, though the center of the river is unfrozen. However, hunks and pieces of pack ice occasionally float by, carried along by the current.

Benson
2012-06-25, 02:58 PM
"I don't see us crossing here...I...no, too cold too swim in, too wide to even consider jumping, and too risky to cross the ice floats," Niklaus furrowed his brows, unsure of what to do.

Trobby
2012-06-25, 03:31 PM
"If we had more time, or the proper tools, we could jam it with timbers and cross, but the sun is getting low, and we won't have much daylight to work with at this rate." Gothard says, pondering. "Does your map show any easier route we could take?"

Benson
2012-06-25, 04:39 PM
"Let me look," He said as he pulled out the map and looked at it. Hey DM, does it show anything?:smalltongue:

Lycan 01
2012-06-25, 04:41 PM
Nope, the map doesn't have any locations marked as being easier or harder to cross. You're on your own.

Benson
2012-06-25, 04:58 PM
"Doesn't seem to be I'm afraid," He said with a small sigh and shake of his head. How wide is the narrowest section here? Also, could I get a little description of how it looks here? Like rock cropping locations, trees near the bank, etc.

Lycan 01
2012-06-26, 11:34 PM
There are no rocky outcroppings or ridges, and there are no trees near the bank. The treeline is a good 20 feet from the bank, and while there are a few rocks and boulders scattered along the bank and in the river, the river and areas around it are not rocky in terrain.

At its narrowest, the river banks are about 40 feet apart, but the narrowest sections of ice are 20 feet apart.

Benson
2012-06-27, 05:45 PM
"Whelp, I' have no smart ideas on how to cross this," Niklaus commented.

Trobby
2012-06-27, 06:03 PM
"It grows late. Perhaps we should save this crossing for tomorrow, when we are fresh of mind."

Benson
2012-06-27, 06:14 PM
"Yes, let us save the problem for tomorrow, where we'll still likely find ourselves in the same predicament, fresh minded or not," He softly sighed and wanly smiled. 'Whelp, let us set up camp."

Trobby
2012-06-27, 06:23 PM
"Alright then." Gothard nods, and helps Niklaus find a good spot to set up their camp.

Either Survivial or Aid Another: [roll0]

Benson
2012-06-27, 06:29 PM
He takes the time to search for a good camp spot, a nice good camp spot where they could safely set camp and what have you.

Lycan 01
2012-06-30, 12:30 PM
Eventually the two young men find a small clearing in the woods near the river. There are a few broken tree branches scattered around, as well as a couple of small berry bushes. It would seem they've found a nice little spot for the night...

Trobby
2012-06-30, 12:34 PM
"Well, this seems like a perfect spot." Gothard says with a stoic voice as he unpacks the camping gear. "Niklaus, about how far have we got to go before we reach our destination?"

Benson
2012-06-30, 05:12 PM
"Well, this seems like a perfect spot." Gothard says with a stoic voice as he unpacks the camping gear. "Niklaus, about how far have we got to go before we reach our destination?"

"Another good' day's travel I suppose," Niklaus replied, having had seen that map so much he could guess it. He walked over to the berry bushes and tried to determine what berries these were, to make sure they weren't gods forbid, nightshade berries.

Knowledge nature: [roll0]

Lycan 01
2012-06-30, 05:46 PM
The berries are perfectly edible. Quite tasty, and very invigorating actually.

Trobby
2012-06-30, 06:08 PM
"Hmm...we should be alright for tonight then...it'll be a bit late to hunt anyway." He nods to himself, setting up the camp for the night.

Benson
2012-07-01, 02:33 PM
"Right," Niklaus nodded aloofly as he plucked a berry and ate one. He smacked his lips and found himself enjoying it. "Well, we do have berries here we can eat." he then began to pluck some more and nom on some.

Lycan 01
2012-07-01, 02:43 PM
Night will be falling soon. The vikings have more than enough berries to subsist on for tonight, though they may or may not want to find something else to eat. Whether or not they want a campfire should also be decided.

Trobby
2012-07-01, 07:15 PM
"We can probably do well enough on what we have left in our pouch." Gothard says. "Shall we start a fire?"

Benson
2012-07-02, 03:03 PM
"I don't think we have to ask eachother that every time," Niklaus chuckled but nodded his head anyway.

Trobby
2012-07-02, 07:05 PM
Gothard makes the fire. ...That's all. What? He doesn't need to do something or say something for each action. ;p

FIRE (survival): [roll0]

Lycan 01
2012-07-02, 07:29 PM
And so the two vikings settled down in front of a nice warm campfire, wrapped comfortably in their furs and with plenty of delicious berries to fill up on. As darkness fell, it seemed that things finally seemed to be going their way.

Oh look, a Wild Roleplaying Opportunity has appeared!

Benson
2012-07-02, 07:37 PM
Niklaus sat near the fire with a small clothe carrying some of the berries he picked. He glanced at the barbarian, they've lived in the same small village their lives, been traveling two days together and didn't know nothin' of each other. So Niklaus was going to break the ice..hahah get it, because its cold here, with a classic topic, girls.

"So, Gothard, any girls back in the village you have your eye on?" He asked with a sly smile.

Trobby
2012-07-02, 08:08 PM
Gothard gives him a look like a wild deer who just stumbled upon a hunter with a bow clamoring out of the forest and saying "Hey, I know this is sudden, but what part of your flesh do you think is the tastiest?"

"...To say I have had luck in such...matters...would be a gross overstatement at best...and in reality an outright lie."

"...Although..." He says, after giving it some thought. "I have long admired the Miller's daughter from afar..." A small smile creeps across the large man's face. "Such a strong and confident woman..."

Benson
2012-07-02, 09:53 PM
"Oh, well I do wish you luck in acquiring the lady of your affections and admiration," He chuckled.

Trobby
2012-07-02, 10:22 PM
Without changing his expression, but sounding just a little bit pressed, Gothard quickly shifts the focus of the conversation.

"And I wish you luck in earning the hand of the Chieftain's daughter."

Benson
2012-07-02, 11:51 PM
Niklaus chuckled. "Yes, uh thank you. I'll need that." Yeah, it probably wasn't much of a village secret that Niklaus had a thing for the chief's daughter.

Trobby
2012-07-03, 09:10 AM
Considering his little display right before they left on this journey? No, no it really isn't a secret to anyone.

"We will find something to impress her, Niklaus. I promise you that."

Benson
2012-07-03, 05:32 PM
"Though coming back alive might be impressive enough," He chuckled.

Trobby
2012-07-03, 05:35 PM
"Hmm...we shall see...as for me...I would be satisfied with coming back alive as well...so long as I can bring honor to my family."

Benson
2012-07-03, 05:53 PM
"Indeed," He nodded in agreement and licked a finger of berry juice. "I remember the tales my father spoke to me of his trial. Fighting off bears and wolves with only a dagger. Though, I think there are some parts he exaggerated." Niklaus softly chuckled accounting the stories his father told him.

Lycan 01
2012-07-03, 06:09 PM
Something roars in the distance. Not the howl of a wolf, or the roar of a bear, or the scream of a fox. But a deep, almost unnatural roar, which chills the blood and raises the hair on the back of one's neck.

Trobby
2012-07-04, 08:56 AM
"...Don't suppose there were any parts he might've left out, do you?"

Benson
2012-07-04, 05:45 PM
"Uh....well......I don't know?" Niklaus sheepishly shrugged. He then went into serious mode face as he touched the back of his neck feeling goosebumps. Geeze.

"I wonder what that was...' He said aloud.

Trobby
2012-07-04, 05:48 PM
"I know not what it could be...my knowledge of wild beasts is somewhat lacking...but I know it is not like anything I have ever heard before."

Gothard also feels goosebumps running down his neck.

"...Perhaps we should try to keep our fire going through the night."

Benson
2012-07-04, 06:05 PM
"In light there is shelter hmm," He lopsidedly smiled his eyes, staring into the dark. "Yes, let us, we can take turns sleeping. Mmm..I wonder, you don't think the folk lore tales of man beasts to be true do you?"

Trobby
2012-07-04, 06:32 PM
"If they are true, and I feel there is a grain of truth to every story, then we owe it to ourselves to separate our actions from the beasts, lest we become like them."

Lycan 01
2012-07-04, 06:37 PM
Another howling roar echoes through the night. It sounds further off than the first one.

The fire crackles and sparks, bathing the small clearing in a gentle orange glow. Beyond the flickering illumination, though, the forest gives way to pitch darkness. The night is cloudy; there is no moonlight. Another crackle and snap from the fire as a burning branch collapses, sending a jet of sparks rising into the night air.

A squirrel skitters into the light, stares at the two men for three seconds, and then skitters back into the abyss.

Benson
2012-07-04, 06:43 PM
"Leave it to a squirrel to ruin the moment, watch out Gothard, that squirrel you killed, may have friends," he winked. Though underneath he felt a frightful chill. He clutched his dagger in its small 'scabbard' attached to his thigh area. It likely wouldn't help against whatever was making those howls. But it was more of an instinctual comfort thing.

Trobby
2012-07-04, 06:44 PM
This doesn't bother Gothard in the slightest.

That's how fires typically behave. Honestly, if he were spooked by something that simple, he'd be dead by now.

He does, however, sit up and, with a nearby stick, gently nudge the fire to keep all the cinders in place.

"I will keep watch, over our campsite and the fire, whilst you rest. Then I shall rouse you when it is your turn."

Benson
2012-07-04, 08:24 PM
"Very well Gothard, be careful and safe," Niklaus nodded as he unrolled his bedding and wrapped himself underneath his winter blanket.

Trobby
2012-07-04, 09:21 PM
Gothard sits up, blanket wrapped around him, as he keeps the fire going, and keeps a wary eye and ear out for any unusual things around the camp.

Spot: [roll]1d20
Survival (to keep the fire going): [roll1]

Lycan 01
2012-07-04, 10:00 PM
Gothard manages to keep the fire going, adding broken twigs and smashed branches occasionally. After awhile, though, he finds his gaze drifting into the flame. The twisting, flickering firelight steals his attention, and before long his mind is lost in the roiling plasma.

With a start, he returns to his senses. He has no idea how long has passed. Other than the crackling of the flames and soft snoring of his comrade, Gothard can hear nothing.

The woods are absolutely, deathly silent.

Trobby
2012-07-04, 10:12 PM
Gothard looks up into the stars, trying to regain his focus. The fire...he knew the fire well. A forge is a fire's home and workplace, it is where fire bends the earth it its will and makes it into tools for man. It separates them from the beasts of the world.

With a fire going, Gothard feels safe.

He keeps his lookout for a little longer, keeping an eye on the stars to track time. Once enough time has passed, he gently nudges Niklaus awake.

"Niklaus...it is your turn to take watch."

Survival: [roll2]

Benson
2012-07-04, 10:49 PM
Niklaus stirred from a cold dreamless sleep until eventually he woke up and rubbed his eyes. "Oh...yawwwn....mmmm, anything on your watch Gothard, any squirrels? Just joking." He smiled and sat up.

Lycan 01
2012-07-04, 11:24 PM
Niklaus:

As you blearily look up at your comrade, you realize something. There is, in fact, a squirrel perched on Gothard's shoulder. He doesn't seem to know its there. Its black, almost soulless eyes are staring into your own.

Gothard: Nothing seems out of the ordinary, other than the forest being so eerily quiet.

Benson
2012-07-05, 08:21 PM
"Waah..." Niklaus sleepily yelped and rubbed his eyes. What in the world...he must still be asleep, or rather, he wondered what was in those berries. Niklaus found himself staring back into those soulless eyes, if there really was something there.

Trobby
2012-07-05, 08:27 PM
"...Something wrong, Niklaus?" Gothard asks, tilting his head in the opposite direction of the squirrel.

Benson
2012-07-05, 08:54 PM
"I think there's a squirrel on your shoulder."

Lycan 01
2012-07-05, 10:20 PM
If Gothard looks, there is indeed a squirrel on his shoulder, which will turn its beady black eyes to stare into his own.

Trobby
2012-07-05, 10:27 PM
"...Wow...I must have lost myself in the fire a little more than I realized..." He yawns, feeling the grip of exhaustion pull him down. He attempts to brush the squirrel away with one hand. "I think it is your turn to take watch."

Lycan 01
2012-07-05, 10:30 PM
The squirrel runs down Gothard's body, skitters across the campsite, and disappears into the darkness.

The fire crackles as another twig breaks apart, sending sparks skyward. The flames flicker as a chill wind blows through the clearing, wailing hauntingly through the nearby trees...

Benson
2012-07-05, 10:39 PM
"Yes...that I got....damn...this was frankly a surreal moment for me, haha..heh..mmm, anyways, yes, you go lay yourself down Gothard," He watched the squirrel scamper off into the darkness and stiffened for a moment at the wailing winds. Right. Ahem.

Trobby
2012-07-06, 09:02 AM
Gothard blinks, then gives a general tired shrug. Even if he were inclined to be frightened, he's too tired to emote it right this moment, and simply sinks back into his bedroll to sleep.

Benson
2012-07-06, 12:14 PM
Niklaus sighed and grabbed his brow and quiver of arrows and sat down in front of the fire and did his watch.

Lycan 01
2012-07-07, 02:51 PM
Niklaus stays watch for a couple of hours. He doesn't see anything, though there's not much to see beyond the campsite. Occasionally, the clouds above crack and break slightly, allowing slivers of moonlight to pierce the darkness.

The wind dies down, and the woods fall silent again. Niklaus doesn't hear a sound throughout his watch, other than the gentle crackle of the fire.

Benson
2012-07-07, 03:27 PM
And so....it was morning. I guess.

Niklaus woke up. Stretched, did his thing. The stuff he does. Stuff. Morning. Thing. Yawn. Not much else to say at this point. He woke up.

Trobby
2012-07-07, 10:54 PM
Gothard drags himself out of his bedroll, sits up, stretches, and looks out...towards the frozen river.

"...Oh. Right. That's still there."

Lycan 01
2012-07-08, 05:47 PM
There is a loud growling noises.

It is coming from the viking's stomachs.

Breakfast time. Y'all can either find something to eat, or press on with a small (-2) penalty.

The berries, while filling and nutritious, aren't the best source of energy. Plus, there aren't many left. You'll have to eat something else besides berries, unless you're fine with a tiny (-1) penalty.

Also, uh, you need a plan for crossing the river. :smalltongue:

Benson
2012-07-08, 06:20 PM
Food wasn't a problem for the two vikings, they still had a day's worth of rations. So Niklaus would content himself with his designated breakfast portions of the day's rations.

So Niklaus was fine with food at the moment, the pressing matter was the river.

"I really have no good ideas, most of them involve chance of serious injury."

Trobby
2012-07-08, 10:08 PM
"How about an idea that will minimize chance of injury?" Gothard suggests. For his part, he supplements his rations with the nearby berries, thereby reducing the level of ration consumption to a manageable level.

Benson
2012-07-08, 11:13 PM
"I don't know, something involving our ropes," Niklaus rubbed his chin thinking hard about this.

Trobby
2012-07-09, 09:39 AM
"Mmh...if we had time, we could build our own bridge across." Gothard mused. "But felling that much wood and getting it across the river with just the two of us would take all day."

Benson
2012-07-10, 10:57 AM
"Indeed...maybe a small makeshift raft to ride ourselves across? Particularly riding along the calmer areas of the lake," Niklaus scrunched his brow.

Trobby
2012-07-10, 12:59 PM
"You ever navigated across a river on a raft before, Niklaus?"

Benson
2012-07-11, 03:32 PM
"I'm not much of a sailor or fisherman let's say."

Trobby
2012-07-11, 04:27 PM
"Hmm...I suppose now is as good a time as any to learn though. Gothard says as he looks out at the river. "If it's shallow enough, maybe we can just pull a raft across....what do you think?"

Benson
2012-07-11, 04:49 PM
"Elaborate please," he asked of gothard

Trobby
2012-07-11, 07:11 PM
"I'm thinking, if the river is shallow enough, perhaps all we need to do is make something which we can float across, and take a sturdy stick to guide ourselves..."

Gothard takes a look at the river to see if this is at all viable.

Lycan 01
2012-07-11, 08:09 PM
The howling of wolves can be heard in the distance.

Perception (or any other skill you think is reasonable) to recognize how far off they are.

Trobby
2012-07-11, 09:06 PM
"...That doesn't sound good."

Benson
2012-07-11, 10:04 PM
Niklaus sharply turned his head from the river and to the forest.

Lycan 01
2012-07-12, 05:46 AM
The two men don't spot anything out of the ordinary.

Gothard:
You can't tell how far away they are.

Niklaus:
Start running now.

Benson
2012-07-13, 07:38 AM
Well, this was an obvious ploy to get the PCs to hurry the heck up and stop dawdling with figuring out how to get across, safely :smalltongue: leaving Niklaus to have to make a hasty decision of whether to fight or flee. So he jumped, on an ice floe along the river or whatever it was again.

"Gothard...Tis best we take a jump of faith," He grimaced as he took a running start.

Jump: [roll0]

Balance (if I make it on) [roll1]

Trobby
2012-07-13, 08:12 AM
Gothard blinks, and for a brief moment wonders what his companion saw or heard that he did not.

He decides he doesn't really need to know that right away, and that the encouragement is enough for him to follow suit.

Jump: [roll0]
Balance: [roll1]

Lycan 01
2012-07-16, 11:52 PM
Niklaus runs onto the ice. Several loud cracks echo through the frozen water beneath his feet; the ice can barely hold his running weight. Luckily, there are several large chunks of ice floating by as he nears the edge. Taking a leap of faith, the viking throws himself through the air towards the nearest ice flow.
The chunk of ice rocks dangerously as the viking lands on it, and he's barely able to keep his balance. But though he nearly teeters off, he manages to wave his arms and maintain his balance.

Gothard sprints to the edge, and leaps into the air right behind Niklaus. Unfortunately, he doesn't get enough distance. While his upper torso lands on the ice flow, his legs splash into the frigid water. The water is freezing cold; he'll be lucky not to go into shock instantly.

Niklaus can either leap to the next chunk of ice, or try to drag Gothard onto the ice.

Back on dry land, several dark shapes dart amongst the trees. A few seconds later, a large black wolf bounds from the treeline, it's amber eyes locked on the two men. Two more wolves sprint out behind it - one brown, the other white. All three begin to race towards the water's edge, rapidly closing the distance with the vikings.

Trobby, please make a Concentration check to avoid going into shock, and a Climb check to clamber up onto the ice if you manage to stay focused.

Benson, Niklaus can either keep going (Jump and Balance), or help Gothard (no roll, but slows you down).

Trobby
2012-07-17, 07:23 AM
Gothard exhales sharply as his legs hit the ice water, cursing inwardly that he hadn't gotten a better running start for his jump. He attempts to pull himself up onto the ice flow, calling upon his fortitude to ignore the freezing cold.

[roll0]

Benson
2012-07-17, 02:34 PM
"Aack..! Gothard, grab onto my rope!" He shouted grabbing his rope from his side and tossing one end in Gothard's direction.

Lycan 01
2012-07-17, 02:45 PM
The viking's senses are overwhelmed, and shock sets in. However, as he feebly tries to hang on to the ice, a length of rope plops down in front of him.

Strength check to drag the semi-comatose viking out of the water.

Trobby
2012-07-19, 03:42 PM
Gothard makes a grab for the rope, feeling it might be his only chance to survive.

Benson
2012-07-19, 05:50 PM
Niklaus found himself with a burst of adrenaline as he pulled with all his strength to get his companion out of the freezing water.

Lycan 01
2012-07-19, 11:28 PM
Niklaus drags Gothard onto the ice. Though shivering violently, the warrior is able to regain his senses and quickly find his footing.

The wolves run onto the ice, and quickly begin to race alongside the water's edge. The black wolf leaps on to a chunk of ice floating in front of the vikings, easily maintaining his balance. The white wolf leaps onto a smaller piece of ice, just a few feet behind the two vikings. The third wolf makes a leap directly at the two vikings, but falls short. It plunges into the frigid water, and does not resurface.

The two wolves begin barking and growing, their eyes burning with ferocious hunger. They shift their weight in time with the rocking of the ice, their bodies tensing as they prepare to leap. Another chunk of ice floats near near the one Gothard and Niklaus are upon. The vikings have only moments to act.

You can either try to get to the next chunk of ice - jump and balance - or stand your ground. Ice. Whatever.