PDA

View Full Version : Megadungeon B (IC)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Malimar
2012-07-01, 04:30 PM
DM
The engineer Kellz "LittleMind" Nackle (http://www.dndsheets.net/view.php?id=15496) (Noctemolf), the half-elf Tynd (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=329600) (Tyndmyr), and the warforged Scarecrow (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=417566) (Sliver) and Prophet, 124C (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=417723) (TooManySecrets) find themselves in the grand Adventurer's Guildhall of Endeesy, capitol of Gus. They had been contemplating the corkboard of bounties by the door and been largely dissatisfied with the offerings, when the human crusader Eleanor (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=406613) burst in the door, asking for help getting fifteen recently-freed slaves to safety.

The great city of Endeesy can't compare in magnificence, wealth, or amenities to some of the other capitols of the world. It offers only two things: first, almost anyone can find a way to fit in in this city of misfits; and second, even keeping the king's peace is almost beyond the military's ability, so non-violent offenses that might be crimes in other nations are overlooked here. So Endeesy, like its predecessor the Disreputable City, has naturally become a hub for pirates, smugglers, and adventurers alike.

But Endeesy has even more to offer than even the Disreputable City did in its heyday, for the lands north of the city are peppered with unexplored caves and ruins both ancient and recent, filled with fruits ripe for the plucking by those adventurers brave enough to seek them out.

Barely more than an oversized tavern, really, the draw of the Adventurer's Guild for adventurers is that here one may encounter like-minded adventurers with whom to form a team, and then one may consult the corkboard by the door for a myriad of opportunities. (The draw for everyone else is, of course, that one may post a bounty on the bulletin board and eventually it will be done, if the reward is high enough.) But here you have a time-limited quest all set to go without even having to consult the big board at all.

Tynd and Eleanor are currently discussing the terms of the quest. Kellz is having a conversation with his psicrystal about determinism. (A resident bard, already sodden with booze despite it being before noon, chimes in, "But doesn't the existence of prophecy confirm that all events are at least a little predestined?", before falling off his barstool and passing out.) The two warforged are... chillin'.

Noctemwolf
2012-07-01, 05:44 PM
Kellz

"see? and there are plenty of examples of prophecy coming true in the past. Just look in a history text or two sometime."

"Since when have you read books?"

"What do you think I do when you sleep? twiddle my legs?"

In order to avoid a further confrontation with his rapidly failing argument, Kellz immediately perks up at the sound of adventure.

"Did someone say they have slaves to liberate?" Kellz says excitedly, jumping free from the confining presence of his cloak and onto the floor, his pockets ringing with the sound of clanging objects as he moves toward Eleanor and Tynd.

"I would be more than willing to render my service, whether paid or not! sometimes, all the payment one needs is the knowledge that one has done good!" With a small flourish and a wide grin, he holds his hand out to the young crusader.

"If you do happen to have a little extra cash, however..." Jericho chimes in through the mouth of the Engineer.

"shush!" Kellz whispers, looking crossly at the crystal sitting serenely on his shoulder, before putting his biggest grin back on and looking back toward Eleanor, not noticing Tynd in his haste to be recognized.

Sliver
2012-07-02, 12:29 AM
Scarecrow

"Prophecy is often known to be either extremely vague or self-fulfilling when it comes true..." The Warforged notes as he finally approaches the small group.

Scarecrow seems to be covered in silvery-blue scale-like adamantine plates, and his also silver eyes have a smoky shadow floating inside. A large tower shield is strapped to his back, over a cloak, a backpack with a scarecrow patch on it rests over Scarecrow's shoulder.

"Could you believe what some people post up there?" He points at the board. "Someone actually wants to hunt my kind? Why would anyone want to kill the majestic dragons?" The warforged shakes his head in disappointment and disapproval before looking around, "Hope no one tries to hunt me down..."

"Anyway, I'm Scarecrow." The warforged introduces himself. "Ah, you must be dying to ask about the name? Well, crow is because I'm all small compared to my draconic parents, like a crow to... Well, dragons. And scare because I scare small children and woodland critters." Scarecrow waits for a few moments before making a weird noise that is supposed to be laughing. "Nah, just kidding. I named myself because... Well, of that patch that's on my backpack, only thing I posses. You don't need to fear me though, you can see by my shiny scales that I'm a good dragon." He gives a sudden nod.

"So, what is this about slaves? I am willing to help secure an escape route, but I was just wondering, how did they get into such a situation?" The draconic warforged thinks for a moment, then "And yes, what about the pay? Any self-respecting dragon has to have a giant pile of gold to sleep on. Heck, perhaps mine was stolen since I haven't slept since I woke up a month ago!" He sounds a bit upset.

TooManySecrets
2012-07-02, 01:54 AM
Prophet, 124C
In the 13.7th revolution, warforged designation 124C was created. Designation 124C's purpose was the manipulation and repair of other creations. It was suited well for the task, it's lightweight (for a warforged) but strong body and machine insight let it help maintain the Forges at 96.3% efficiency.

Something ... happened.

Prophet's efficiency dropped and, to maintain the quota, it's freedom was granted and it was left to wander.

Now, it's wanderings has brought it to Endeesy, into this grungy little building.

Itwalks over to Eleanor, the floorboards creaking under his weight. "If it is companions you seek, then I am ready to supply my services," Prophet says, forwardly, "It would be no misdeed to save the helpless."

Sliver
2012-07-02, 02:04 AM
Scarecrow

The warforged glances at the new face. "You look similar, but your scales seem wrong. Do all Mithral Dragon hatchlings look like that?"

Tyndmyr
2012-07-02, 02:45 PM
Tynd grins broadly at the torrent of interest, "Gentlemen, it appears we have a party. Let us be off at once!"

TooManySecrets
2012-07-02, 04:40 PM
Prophet, 124C

"I have never met a Mithral dragon, so I can not speak to any similarity my appearance might share with them."

Prophet looks at Tynd. "So it would appear. Haste is imperative, so perhaps the female knight would be so kind to explain our objectives on the way."

RCgothic
2012-07-02, 05:13 PM
Eleanor

"I'm so grateful to you all! We have to lead them to the temple of Numiel on Perch Hill. Our obstacles are the city guards, who I've talked our way past once already (but that's unlikely to work again if the guards in question were made examples of), and the town of Doublebridge on the route which is rumoured to have been taken over by monsters!"

"There may be away around the guards though the sewers (also rumoured to be infested with monsters!), but the only routes around Doublebridge involve very long detours. Also,m if we're going to go through the sewers I'll need to arrange for my horse to be waiting for us on the other side, which probably involves paying someone to look after her. Any questions?"

Sliver
2012-07-02, 10:43 PM
Scarecrow

"Well, you appear similar to me, and I'm an Adamantine Dragon, so..." Scarecrow shrugs, letting the subject go. Perhaps Prophet was sensitive about his linege and didn't want to delve into it, Scarecrow was sure that when the young dragon is ready, he'll talk.

"After we'll leave the town, will time still matter? I'm wondering if the shortcut through Doublebridge is worth it. Or, is there a chance for an existing bounty if we do clear Doublebridge of monsters, or perhaps the sewers?"

Malimar
2012-07-03, 01:08 AM
DM
It turns out that the actual list of bounties is slightly more relevant right now than I thought. To wit:

Currently posted on the corkboard, there is a map:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6177/6154305240_341811c5aa_b.jpg
(the map is labeled "PLEASE DO NOT TAKE THIS MAP, IT IS PROVIDED AS A COURTESY TO ALL OUR CUSTOMERS")

...and a number of notes (in no particular order; spoilers'd only because they take up a lot of text space):

By order of Terek, Second of His Name, King of Gus, Vice-Admiral of the Dread Fleet, Ninth Count Rogan, and Emperor of the Mongrelfolk:
The king desires, to be brought before him for marriage, the most beautiful woman to be found in the all the reaches of the cosmos, whomsoever she may be.
The reward to any man who brings such a woman to the King shall earn the eternal gratitude of the kingdom and ten thousand platinum coins, or some equivalent favour.
Addendum from the Dowager Queen:
This woman must additionally be clever, competent, capable of defending herself in battle, and should preferably bring an alliance to some powerful nation.
If these conditions are met, the queen will see to it that he who completes this task shall have his greatest desire fulfilled to the greatest extent of possibility.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6020/5940730603_27740416c3_b.jpg

Sir Peph of the Kingsguard offers a bounty to any who would explore the ruins of Mat~sya and the Disreputable City on the slopes of Mount Dis. Somewhere, deep within the ruins, is rumoured to lie the tomb of Gus Dreadworm, bloodthirsty pirate king of legend.
Return with specific instructions, or preferably a map, and Sir Peph will part with his +1 cutlass and ten thousand gold.

Sir Randolph of the Kingsguard offers the following standing bounties:
1,000 gold for the head or plate and horns of a brass dragon.
1,500 gold for the head or horns and frill of a silver dragon.
2,000 gold for the head or horns of a copper dragon.
2,500 gold for the head or crest of a bronze dragon.
7,500 gold for the head or barbels of a gold dragon.
Juvenile or younger dragons shall earn half the listed bounty, while old and older dragons shall earn twice the listed bounty.
Additionally:
500 gold for the head of a metallic half-dragon of any race.
250 gold for the head of an individual of any race partially descended from a metallic dragon.
750 gold for the head of any Dragonborn of Bahamut, who are always metallic.
Moreover:
2,500 gold for a live chromatic half-dragon individual of any race.
1,250 gold for a live individual of any race partially descended from a chromatic dragon.

By order of Terek, Second of His Name, King of Gus, Vice-Admiral of the Dread Fleet, Ninth Count Rogan, and Emperor of the Mongrelfolk:
As befits a state of war between two nations, the king offers a standing bounty for the destruction, capture, or other removal from engineer hands, of any engineer-controlled submarine.
This shall earn a captain a letter of marque and official status as a privateer for the kingdom of Gus, with all the rights and responsibilities due thereto. Additionally, a reward of 1,500 platinum coins per submarine shall be granted.
Additionally, engineers, sea- or war-forged, or githzerai, captured while working for or with the engineer nation against Gus, shall earn a bounty of 25 platinum coins per captive.
The heads of engineers, sea- or war-forged, or githzerai, killed while working for or with the engineer nation against Gus, shall earn a bounty of 10 platinum coins per head.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6014/5940730773_9752efdb9f_b.jpg

As many may already be aware, the countryside has been plagued by foul and fiendish beasts, issuing forth from the caves and mines of Mount Dis. As a protector of the Realm, I feel it my duty to investigate, but other duties keep me occupied between N.D.C. and the Omorashi border. As such, I issue the following bounties:
> For concrete, verifiable information regarding the ultimate source of the infestation: 2,500 gold
> For a detailed map leading from the surface to the ultimate source of the infestation: 5,000 gold
> For the temporary or permanent stoppage of the infestation, by any means: 50,000 gold
Bounty posted by Sir Nakazawa of the Kingsguard
Additionally, Sir Ravenwood of the Kingsguard
offers gold for detailed maps of the complete
cave system, for other use. A copy of a map
for each level or section shall be rewarded
with 1,000 gold pieces.

Sir Bill of the Kingsguard seeks a worthy mount:
Some flying beast,
alive and unharmed,
large enough to comfortably carry a full-grown man,
young and intelligent enough to tame,
healthy enough to live for quite some time
The quality of the beast shall determine the amount of the reward.

Seeking the following effects, in any form – spell, scroll, wand, wish or limited wish, or miscellaneous:
Animate Object and Permanency
Stone to Flesh
Awaken Construct
See Pumayyaton the Sculptor. Rewards include a powerful elephant statuette, a taciturn yet loyal Dread Guard, a snarky yet effective sword, or elegant custom-crafted statuary.

GLADIATORS WANTED
SEVEN DAYS A WEEK
PROVE YOUR METTLE
EARN FABULOUS PRIZES
ENTERTAIN THE CROWD
INQUIRE AT THE TEMPLE OF INGLIP AND ARENA COMPLEX
NO ENTRY FEE

CREATURES WANTED
WE NEED LIVE, DANGEROUS BEASTS
TO CHALLENGE ENTRANTS IN THE ARENA
REWARD FOR EACH MONSTER

REWARD:
Information sought leading to the whereabouts of a band of evil adventurers who broke into the monastery on Perch Hill, terrorized the monks, and murdered Prior Trakis, a paladin of the faith. See Abbot Waxter at the Monastery with any information.
Be on the lookout for a group consisting of:
> an orc-descended man, in possession of a horse
> an engineer man
> an Omorashi human woman
> three additional human or elf men
Be warned: these individuals are armed and extremely dangerous. They may be in league with an evil erinyes devil – this creature is very powerful and should not be engaged without proper training. They may also be in possession of copies of several volumes of the Evil Encyclopedia of Evil – if found, these books should not be read and may be returned to the Monastery for an additional reward.
Authorized by Numiel’s Archbishop of Shell, Jov Sauart

Lord Yuz-Perry, First Viscount Noodleton, seeks Aid for his Township:
The Don’t Drink This River, also called the Poison River, has been foul and fetid since the Colonization of Gus, hence the River’s Name. However, in the past few Months, the Horribleness has seen a marked Increase. A Man can no longer venture within a Mile of the River without becoming nauseated. Crops have begun to wither and die on the Stalk. Even Wells accessing Groundwater far from the River have become tainted and unpotable. Moreover, perhaps unrelatedly, Serfs and their Livestock have begun to vanish from their Fields, even in broad Daylight. (warning: wrackspawn demons)
Anyone who can venture to the Source of the River and render its Water fit for Consumption shall earn the undying Gratitude of the House of Yuz-Perry, as well as a Grant of Land and may choose among the Viscount’s many Daughters and Sons for their Hand in Marriage.
The King endorses this undertaking, and has ordered one thousand platinum coins laid in escrow, to be awarded to whomsoever achieves this task to the satisfaction of the Viscount Noodleton.

Interested parties seek copies of any volumes from the Evil Encyclopedia of Evil. Bring these documents to the temple of Quasxthe; ask for Viblet Kewne. The reward shall be 1,000 gold pieces per volume.

The proprietors of the Tiv-Beckett Cold-Iron Mine seek adventurers to clean out the primary mine system, which remains infested with monstrously huge centipedes and other vermin. The source of these creatures has been found and eliminated, but some vermin remain to terrorize our workers.

We shall pay
one copper piece for the remains of any centipede of less than 2’ length;
one silver piece for the remains of any centipede between 2’ and 8’ length;
one gold piece for the remains of any centipede of greater than 8’ length.

Additionally, we have struck ancient ruins of an underground civilization in our digging. We offer no reward for exploring these ruins, but adventurous types may choose to investigate nonetheless.

Becoming a Member of the Adventurer’s Guild carries a flat fee of 25gp. Among other benefits, Members get a 50% discount on rooms, food, and drinks at the Guild, and may request rescue party insurance for each mission they undertake.

A member of the Adventurer’s Guild may become a Journeyman if he finds and returns one of the five Journeyman’s Keys, hidden somewhere in the caves and dungeons of Mount Dis. Among other benefits, Journeymen get free room and food at the Guild, and receive a 10% discount at participating adventurer supply stores.

A Journeyman may become a Guild Master upon completion of some special quest for the Guild Masters. Among other benefits, the discount at participating adventurer supply stores increases to 20% for a Master.

Members of all levels must pay dues of 5gp per month.

Levethixi, vorastrixi, vur lyrik xiekivi svaust klae wer suiaerl auneli, usv tikilvi sweekmonir ekess xkhat mishun: siofme voranir ekess wer hertan di hewi. Drekim vin kamati persvek wer hertan ui aaiovew aurix vur asildk aurix rinovup welun. Nezcaubolic re vi cuaili sva wer hertan, zadl ekess shio yorir ini hertan ankini, zadl ekess wer kivan korshim ihk tija kirmipri, vur zadl ekess kemir vur vdri cuailiri.

(Translation for characters who can read Draconic:Wizards, Sorcerers, and other Wielders of the arcane Arts, or any One seeking to become Such: consider joining the Mage’s Guild. Apprenticeship in the Guild is 50gp plus 10gp per Month. Benefits include a Room at the Guild, Access to all Lectures by Guild Teachers, Access to the vending Machine for material Components, and Access to Training and Meditation Rooms.)

Legend holds that, buried somewhere wast of Serpent Pass, lie the mortal remains of the ancient, pre-Inundation dwarven adventuring party led by Savzad the Bard-Queen, founder of the ancient dwarven nation which once occupied this land. Supposedly, the tombs grant great benefits to those they find worthy.

Sir Fred and Sir Gilbert of the Kingsguard offer a handsome reward: locate the tombs of Savzad, Georpe the mage, Fesus the priest, Jumas the burglar, Kheseus the hunter, and Faucon the fighting man. Provide detailed maps and instructions for finding the tombs and bypassing their guardians. You may reap the rewards of the tombs yourselves, and we will pay 1000 gold for the location and description of each tomb.
Sir Winden of the Kingsguard seeks a live sample of Green Slime. He suggests the sample be placed within a glass flask (as it will eat through almost any other material) and covered with thick fabric, as sunlight will kill it.

He also seeks the flesh of a recently-slain Violet Fungus for his curative experiments. It is worth twice its weight in copper coins to Sir Winden, or 1 gold piece per pound. The average Violet Mushroom may contain upwards of 150 pounds of flesh.

Lastly, Sir Winden requests the prompt delivery of one or more live Dire Maggots, to combat the serious infections of Oobort’s Necrosis of the Skin contracted by several members of the King’s staff. He will pay 250 gold per maggot.

A royal quarantine has been imposed upon the village of Doublebridge, for reason of a horrible infestation of dangerous undead monsters. The bridges at Doublebridge have been demolished. All travelers intending to cross the Bitey River are required to detour to the bridge at Riverford.

Additionally, any adventurer or group of adventurers who devises a successful method to exterminates the undead menace of Doublebridge shall receive a reward from the Crown on the order of one thousand platinum coins.

The coded one about Nalf's Slave Market has already been taken down.

The last three are new, posted by agents of the Crown this morning. The last one in particular may be relevant.

TooManySecrets
2012-07-03, 06:29 PM
OOC:

Huh, my subscription tells me that the DM posted something. Better check that out and

http://img857.imageshack.us/img857/9370/emotstare.gif

That

that is a lot of text.

Prophet, 124C
Prophet looks confused. "I am not quite sure I understand what the problem is. Are these slaves somehow infamous? Do the guards have pictures of what was, until they were freed, essentially human chattel?"

Sliver
2012-07-04, 12:26 AM
Scarecrow

"Perhaps their last owner is influential enough to alert the guards. They don't need to know how the slaves look individually to be able to recognize them. Perhaps if we get them some clothes and divide them into a few groups, each accompanies one through a different route, the chance that detection would lead to suspicion will decrease significantly. What do you think?" Scarecrow offers.

Tyndmyr
2012-07-05, 12:34 PM
Tynd

The half elf shuffles his feet a bit and says "That sounds...possibly successful. But if anything should go wrong, there'd be less of us to defend the slaves."

Sliver
2012-07-05, 01:27 PM
Scarecrow

"We could do a few trips, but that would be more suspicious. Or we could split into two groups instead..." Scarecrow gives an alternative suggestion.

TooManySecrets
2012-07-05, 05:01 PM
OOC: Sort of waiting for RCgothic to respond before we make any plans. 'cause I've got plenty of suggestions to make, but if there's a reason why we can't just walk out of the city, it's all moot.

RCgothic
2012-07-05, 06:39 PM
Eleanor

"Well I guess that might work. The guards are unlikely to have individual descriptions and they aren't dressed like slaves anymore. I suppose a few small groups might work..."

Sorry! Been very busy at work this week!

TooManySecrets
2012-07-05, 10:16 PM
Prophet, 124C
"I believe that it is easiest to lie when it is mostly the truth. We are going to Numiel. Why not dress the slaves as pilgrims going to the church at Numiel? A few robes should be enough."

"Or, I suppose, we could join up with some caravan going out of the city. Or do both. Once we are out of the city, we can go wherever we want."

RCgothic
2012-07-07, 11:26 AM
Eleanor

"I suppose just walking past the guards has a reasonable chance of success. If we each took a group out we'd be in groups of four. There are a couple who could be easily identified by description though - a bugbear and a goblin. We'd need to take extra care with them. I'm also not against going a long way round past Doublebridge, but we'd need supplies and provisions for a trip that long. Whatever we do, we need to do it fast, I can't leave the freedpersons at the safehouse much longer."

Sliver
2012-07-07, 11:38 AM
Scarecrow

"If there is a chance the guards already got word of the escape and the description of the slaves, I opt we take..." Scarecrow turns to look at the other warforged, realizing that he didn't introduce himself "Ummm... Mister Mithral's idea and, well, upgrading it a bit. Those that wouldn't stand out too much would get robes and disguised as pilgrims, while those more, ahh, unique... Would get cheap armor and weapon and will be regarded as escort, perhaps part of the guild?"

"As for Doublebridge... The post on the board would suggest there aren't any bridges currently leading into the village. I think it would be best to scout around the area first, see if there is a good way to enter the village both for us and the freed slaves, and then decide if we rather take a detour. My flame can both slow down and weed out large groups, but if they are too much to handle... We should prepare for a long journey just in case, but I believe we should begin already.

Noctemwolf
2012-07-08, 12:34 AM
Kellz

"All those suggestions sound Top Notch! I'm more than willing to help provide money for outfits!"

"...A little short on funds, Aren't we?"

"Not so short on funds I can't be willing to help out!" Kellz cheerfully states, jumping up and down in place, excited at the prospect of finally getting out of this tavern.

"Hopefully no one decides to die this time... last time there was a little snag, and I had to go before anything could be resolved with the poor man... I do hope he's okay..."

"dragons?" Jericho states, seemingly looking back and forth from each warforged. "last I checked, Dragons were large, quadruped dinosaur-like creatures."

"Jericho?" Kellz says, a calm in his voice that belies his apparent tenseness.

"I'm just wondering..."

"Remember that other fellow we were traveling with? the... I believe they are called Silverbrow?"

"Yes?"

"A similar case, here."

"Good point. Looks as though you've got me this once..."

"For once? What about that time you believed that lizardfolk were descended from similar ancestors of humans, and I disproved that by fossil record?"

"That book is not conclusive, and you know it. that author himself said so on the title page."

"but we went searching through multiple sources, not just that one."

If no one stops him, Kellz continues to argue with... himself, seemingly, as Jericho continues to use Kellz' mouth to speak for himself.

Sliver
2012-07-08, 12:47 AM
Scarecrow

"I'm just a hatchling!" Scarecrow jumps to his defense. "See, that's part of my egg," he points at the tower shield "which I had worked to continue protect me from outside threats."

"Anyway, I can throw in some gold for outfitting too... What are a few coins missing from one's bed?"

TooManySecrets
2012-07-09, 12:58 AM
Prophet, 124C
"I have 89 units of the common currency. I am not familiar with the cost of food or clothes, but I believe that should be enough to outfit each party."

"When do we start?"

RCgothic
2012-07-09, 02:16 AM
Eleanor

"Ok, so with 14 of them and 5 of us that's three groups of 5 and a group of 4. If we have 2 guards per group we'll need some cheap armour for the bugbear, the goblin and one other. Kellz, can you handle that?

The remailing 11 will need monk's outfits and holy symbols. Prophet, I think that's one for you.

We also need enough provisions for a possible detour around doublebridge. Tynd, can you sort that out?

Scarecrow and I will go and guard them until you all get there, as I'm anxious about leaving them alone any longer."

I then give instructions on how to find the burnt out warehouse, and if there are no objections I move out, going via the stables to fetch Rascasse.

Sliver
2012-07-09, 02:30 AM
Scarecrow

Before leaving, Scarecrow gives Prophet his gold, all 95 pieces of it. "Please return change, if any is left." he asks and casts Endure Exposure on each member of the group.

(If nothing happens on the road and the freed slaves are ok) Scarecrow casts Endure Exposure on each of the slaves at the warehouse.

Tyndmyr
2012-07-09, 11:39 AM
Tynd

Tynd nods, and casually strolls out the door, heading to the market for a few jugs of water and loaves of bread. With a bit of luck, he'll hopefully have enough food to keep them all provisioned for a day or two.

Malimar
2012-07-09, 02:52 PM
DM
And they're off!

Eleanor and Scarecrow go to fetch Rascasse, then head to the burnt-out warehouse. Though it is only around noon, they pass many already-drunken mongrelfolk -- it appears to be the day of some sort of summer market festival, just starting to get set up -- but make it safely to the warehouse. Some of the freedpersons look curiously or suspiciously at the big, dragony warforged. The two remaining engineer women sidle up to him and inspect him while trying (unsuccessfully) to appear casual and uninterested.

Tynd finds the market even more populated than usual, with both buyers and sellers. Pushing through the crowd, he easily finds as much bulk food as he has the money to purchase.

TooManySecrets
2012-07-09, 09:40 PM
Prophet, 124C
Prophet makes its way to the market, as well. With the money it has - 184gp - it'll buy an assortment of 11 monk's outfits. This should leave it with 129gp.

Tyndmyr
2012-07-11, 01:09 PM
Tynd

Tynd pushes his way through the crowded shop. He seemed to be richer than his fellows, but he didn't think it prudent to point that out just yet. Anyhow, the slaves were probably used to simple fare, so not going too expensive on the food was likely wiser in any case. Purchasing three sacks, one for each group, he stuffed 30 loaves of bread into them, as well as six hunks of edible looking cheese.

Pondering the likelihood of unanticipated trouble, he also stops to purchase two days worth of trail rations, solely for himself, and half a dozen tumbling bolts. No harm in having a backup plan, he thinks.

Struggling under the weight of his purchases, he staggers back to the party.

OOC:

-6 sp bags.
-6 sp bread
-6 sp cheese
-1 gp trail rations
-30 gp tumbling bolts(arms and equipment).

Total: - 33 gp(no point tracking the minor silver change)

Sliver
2012-07-11, 01:42 PM
Scarecrow

Scarecrow seems to enjoy the attention he is getting from the freedpeople and when he notices the couple of women inspecting him, he puffs his chest with pride and just stands there, looking all impressive.

Malimar
2012-07-11, 05:53 PM
DM
It takes a little while, but Prophet eventually finds a tailor selling clothes that aren't quite exactly monk's outfits (those are most often assigned by the monasteries themselves, or sewn by the monks themselves) but which are close enough and will stand up to at least casual scrutiny. (And which cost the same as monk's outfits.)

It also takes a little while for Tynd to find a smith selling tumbling bolts, but he eventually does locate an engineer smith specializing in clever weapons, and acquires them.

The two engineer women examine Scarecrow, eventually giving up entirely on the pretense of appearing uninterested, jabbering to one another in Dinlun, the engineer language. One of them chortles at something the other one says, but all in all their attitude appears to be genuine curiousity and admiration for unusual craftsmanship. Scarecrow catches the names "Urmaggr" and "Numiel" in the foreign conversation.

Eventually, one of the engineers asks Scarecrow, in Common, "What is your designation?" The other asks Eleanor, also in Common, "Where did you find this marvelous specimen?"

Sliver
2012-07-12, 01:42 AM
Scarecrow

Scarecrow nods at the mention of Numiel, although he is confused by Urmaggr's name. Perhaps the engineer women prayed to him for some reason...

But he is completely taken aback by their question. "Umm..." He thinks for a few moments "Well, I volunteered to help you reach safety, but I doubt that is what you meant..." He looks around, trying to think of something to say.

"You mean, what's my purpose in life? Well... Honestly, it's what I'm trying to find out myself. I haven't seen neither of my parents yet, and came here in the hopes I'll find a clue to where they went, or why I was left alone in that warehouse." Scarecrow says as he scratches some of the scales on his arm.

"Why do you ask? Have you seen an adamantine dragon around?"

RCgothic
2012-07-12, 03:54 PM
Eleanor

"This is Scarecrow, and he's kindly agreed to help us flee this city. There are three others on their way." I then explain the plan so far to the freedpersons, and how they should split into groups, inviting anyone willing to take on the pretence of 'guard' to step forward.

Noctemwolf
2012-07-12, 10:49 PM
Kellz

entering the Warehouse somewhat late, he smiles as he drops what he bought at Eleanor's feet.

"Here we are!" he speaks cheerfully.

"It's not much, but certainly better than nothing, hm? I didn't have as much money as I thought I did."

"If you hasn't spent it all in getting us here and beena little more prudent..."

"Oh, shush."

Noticing the other engineers admiring Scarecrow, Kellz eagerly walks up to them, introduces himself ans asks where they were from.

Bought:
3 pairs of padded armor, 3 shortspears, 3 light wooden shields. for a total of:
27 gp. leaving me with... 10.

Malimar
2012-07-14, 06:08 PM
DM
Kellz manages to track down some cheap armor and weapons in approximately the appropriate sizes!

So eventually, everyone makes it safely to the warehouse with their designated loot!

The engineers look at each other, chat briefly in their native language about this answer, then turn back to Scarecrow. One of them says, "Neither of us has seen any adamantine dragons, no. Though that would be fascinating."

Then the engineers meet another of their kind! They appear pleased, and introduce themselves to Kellz as Blimpgga "Bloodynose" Rumnaheim and Tor "Quirky" Holderhek, both of the Werabere.

Then they divert part of their attention to Eleanor! Fascinating as Scarecrow and Kellz and Prophet are, getting to safety is probably a slightly more pressing concern.

The bugbear and the goblin, the most warlike of the group, immediately step forward and volunteer for being the guards, as it would seem Eleanor expected. The remaining human man from Romus also volunteers. So they equip the arms and armor brought by Kellz.

Sliver
2012-07-14, 11:05 PM
Scarecrow

The warforged seems slightly disappointed by the engineers' answer, but turns to examine the group.

"Well, I think if the guards are one human and one non-human it would attract less attention. At least a little less, anyway." He looks at the numbers, thinking for a moment before suggesting the next split.

Eleanor and the Goblin take 3 freedpeople.
Tynd and the Bugbear take 3.
Scarecrow and the Human take 3.
Kellz and Prophet take 2. Probably the engineer women.

"What do you say?"

Then, Scarecrow remembers to turn to Prophet. "Any change left?"

Malimar
2012-07-16, 05:14 PM
DM
The freedpersons don't seem to have a problem with this arrangement.

A mongrelmaid and two of the elves line up with Eleanor and the goblin.

Two mongrelmen and the third elf go with Tynd and Xugebd the bugbear.

Bloodynose wants to keep examining Scarecrow, so she and the two remaining human women go with Scarecrow and the armed human.

Quirky is content to chill with Kellz and Prophet; perhaps they'll have news of the homeland. So she and the remaining human man line up with Kellz and Prophet.

Tyndmyr
2012-07-17, 12:25 PM
Tynd

Tynd staggers in, plopping a decently sized sack in front of each group. "Well, there's a coupla days worth of food there for each of you, if you don't eat it too quick. Take your time, and just act like you belong, and you should be aright, I figure." Glancing over at his team, he says, "Ready to go, my pretty friends?"

Sliver
2012-07-17, 02:18 PM
Scarecrow

"I wish someone would have remembered to buy a bunch of signal whistles..." The dragonforged mumbled to himself before making sure his equipment is strapped and the human guard seems professional enough to pass as one.

"So we're all heading towards Doublebridge... We'll meet by the city exit, after each of us taking a slightly different route." Scarecrow says and, assuming no objections, heads out.

After getting his change from prophet.

RCgothic
2012-07-17, 04:04 PM
Eleanor

"Agreed. We should get moving."

I mount Rascasse in one easy leap, before helping the mongrelmaid up behind me.

Malimar
2012-07-19, 03:44 PM
DM
So, that settled, off the four monk-disguised parties go, by varying routes!

Having temporarily split the party, each of you will get your own sub-section of the thread until you are reunited! Because you are now temporally as well as spatially offset from one another, this could get confusing, so try to resist the urge to read other peoples' spoiler'd sections.

The east exit from the city is kind of weird and different from the other gates. You leave the city proper at the bridge over the River Easy, and that's where the official guard checkpoint is, just before the bridge. Then, once you get to Eastside, there will be more dwelling places and more people, but few guards and no more walls and no more check points.

Eleanor
Eleanor's group. The guards glance her group over. An armed human and goblin escorting a mongrelmaid and two elves? Oh, they're in the garb of pilgrims of Numiel. One of the guards says something disparaging about Numiel, and the others laugh.

Tynd

Tynd, Xugebd the bugbear, Rinthe the elf, and two mongrelmen reach the checkpoint. The guards all look instantly suspicious. One of them asks, "What's your story?"

Scarecrow

Scarecrow, the armed and armored human, Bloodynose, and the two human women approach the checkpoint. One of the guards exclaims, "What the balls? Another bunch of you bloody lot?"

Another points at Scarecrow, Bloodynose, and the Omorashi human woman, saying to a compatriot: "Dude, more of these."

Kellz and Prophet
Kellz and Prophet and Quirky and the Omorashi man arrive at the checkpoint. The guards glance them over. One of them says, "Holdjer beans, didn't we just get some pilgrims through here a little while ago?"

Another points out, using too many racial slurs for me to be comfortable transcribing it precisely, that two engineers, a warforged, and an Omorashi man is kind of suspicious, especially on some sort of pilgrimage.

RCgothic
2012-07-19, 04:34 PM
Eleanor

In response to the guard's insult I merely respond with a cheery wave! I make a mental note to pray for him later, though I suspect telling him so wouldn't be a bright idea whilst attempting not to get stopped.

Having successfully bypassed the guards, I shepherd my group to the agreed meeting point just beyond Eastside before settling down to wait by the side of the road. I let Rascasse graze whilst we wait.

Sliver
2012-07-19, 11:24 PM
Scarecrow

Scarecrow shrugs, acting as if the guards' surprise and suspicion is misplaced.

"Foolish humans." Scarecrow says in draconic as he nods to the guards, acting as if he just said a draconic greeting. He wouldn't stop the group unless the guards stopped him...

Tyndmyr
2012-07-20, 10:48 AM
Tynd

Tynd grins and says "A half-elf, an elf, a bugbear and mongrelfolk...obviously, we're going to walk into a bar! Tell me lads, are there any ale-houses worthy of the name in eastwatch?"

Noctemwolf
2012-07-21, 09:02 PM
Kellz and Prophet
Kellz and Prophet and Quirky and the Omorashi man arrive at the checkpoint. The guards glance them over. One of them says, "Holdjer beans, didn't we just get some pilgrims through here a little while ago?"

Another points out, using too many racial slurs for me to be comfortable transcribing it precisely, that two engineers, a warforged, and an Omorashi man is kind of suspicious, especially on some sort of pilgrimage.

Kellz, doing his best to ignore the guards uncouth behavior, simply keeps up the appearance of a limp, leaning heavily on his staff for support despite not actually needing it to walk. Jericho keeps hidden under Kellz' Cloak.

"You may have, sir. I heard some other groups were headed this way around this time. We were hoping to meet with them sometime before we got to the church..."

Kellz continues to take up his position at the back, letting Prophet lead the way.

Malimar
2012-07-22, 05:52 AM
DM

Eleanor
The guards, having had their fun, lazily wave Eleanor's group through. They chill by the rendezvous point; they're the first group there.

Eventually, Kellz and Prophet and their group arrive. Then Scarecrow's group. Then Tynd's group. Everybody got through the checkpoint safely.

Tynd
Some of the guards chuckle. Their suspicions are immediately disarmed by Tynd's joke.

One of them: "Try the Leaking Cesspit. Their ale's good stuff, but you'll probably want to skim the skuzz off the top."

Another: "Oy! The skuzz is the best part!"

Anyhow, the guards wave Tynd through without further delay.

When they reach the appointed meeting place outside Eastside (unless they actually do swing by the Leaking Cesspit), all three other groups are already there.

Scarecrow
One of the guards says, "What's up with that thing? Doesn't look like any warforged I've seen." The others shrug. None of them look like they particularly understand what was said.

Another mumbles, "There really is an awful lot of pilgrims today. And an awful lot of them are robuts and shorties."

Another says something disparaging about Numiel, and how of course his worshippers are all deficient, unlike right-thinking worshippers of Quasxthe.

The guards all devoutly make the sign of Quasxthe (it involves wiggling ones fingers near one's mouth), then, chortling, wave Scarecrow and his group on.

At the appointed meeting place outside Eastside, Eleanor, Kellz, Prophet, and their two groups are already there. Everyone waits for a little while, and eventually Tynd's group arrives.

Kellz and Prophet
The guards glance at one another. One of them shrugs. Another goes "Ah. Okay." They apparently find nothing out of the ordinary about this explanation. But still: warforged and engineer pilgrims to Numiel? One of them says something disparaging about Numiel, the other replies with something disparaging about engineers. Eventually, their indecision about what to do about this suspicious group leads them to default to inaction. They permit the group to pass.

Then the group makes its way to the appointed meeting point outside Eastside. Eleanor's group is already there, but nobody else is. But, eventually, Scarecrow's group shows up. Then, after a little while longer, Tynd's group.

That went smoother than I expected. The spoilers are no longer necessary.

RCgothic
2012-07-22, 06:20 AM
Eleanor

"Everyone got through safely! Thanks be to Numiel! I guess we'd better continue then. Let's have three others with weapons up front with me, two in the rear, and one to either side as we go. That should make sure everyone's well protected for this stint to Doublebridge."

Sliver
2012-07-22, 08:39 AM
Scarecrow

"The guards were quite stupid." The warforged notes. "They even thought I was a warforged." The shadows in his eyes seem to float to the top and back to the center, as if the draconic robot rolled his eyes.

"Anyway, I'll take front." Scarecrow says. As the group begins to move, Scarecrow jogs, keeping the pace of a normal man walking, or sprints to keep the pace of a hastened move. Yes, Scarecrow runs 60ft per turn, like everybody else double move... At least he can't get tired.

Noctemwolf
2012-07-23, 10:18 PM
Kellz

"Righto!" Kellz says cheerfully, taking up position amidst the group of slaves.

"So, the WeraBere..." Kellz' begins attempting a conversation with Quirky and Bloodynose.

"And you didn't even think to introduce me?" How rude, and quite like you, 'master'," Jericho says, lazily working his way out of Kellz' cloak and onto his shoulder, stretching his small spidery limbs around Kellz' neck as though considering the act of strangling him or hugging him.

"ah, yes! Meet Jericho, my psicrystal," Kellz says, keeping his smile up.

TooManySecrets
2012-07-24, 01:46 PM
OOC
Sorry for my delay. Speaking of which, do we have an OOC thread for this party or is it just the general OOC thread?

Prophet, 124C
"Yes, as I suspected, the guards were similar to most of their kind: unwilling to see anything that would make their job harder." Prophet shakes his head.

"Even so, we should still be on the lookout for trouble and ambushes. I am equipped for both melee and range. If nobody has anybody objections, I will be on our vanguard." Putting action to words, Prophet takes out his light crossbow and follows the party on the left side.

Tyndmyr
2012-07-26, 02:06 PM
Tynd

Tynd grinned "Piece of cake. Those guards were not the best I've seen. Still, best we be off lest one of them thinks to investigate. If you've got the left side, I'll take the right."

Sliding a tumbling bolt smoothly into his crossbow, Tynd strolls to his chosen side, glancing around him as he moves.

Malimar
2012-07-31, 10:16 PM
DM
Quirky and Bloodynose look fascinated by Jericho, and inspect him carefully.
Quirky, to Jericho: "I've never seen a psicrystal before! Hullo! What makes you tick?"
Bloodynose: "I met a githzerai nomad once, on shore leave at Garzak. He had a psicrystal, too. But it didn't say anything, and he wouldn't let me touch it."

So the group heads off into the countryside, chatting! It is a few hours before anything of note happens. They pass a small flock of sheep tended by a shepherd. That's the, uh, thing of note. It's a remarkably peaceful journey. They don't even pass any other travellers on the way. By the time they begin to hear the roaring of the Bitey River and pass houses and farms on what was once the outskirts of the town, the sun is setting and it's becoming dark.

The river is about 400 feet across at the bridge, and flowing reasonably swiftly. The bridge over the Bitey River was a wide arch of stone blocks. Both ends are still mostly intact. The middle looks like somebody hit it with acid spells or something until it collapsed. There are no blocks or rubble visible on the surface of the river, so it's probably fairly deep.

OOC
Sorry for my delay. Speaking of which, do we have an OOC thread for this party or is it just the general OOC thread?
Just the main thread. An OOC thread for each party would be kind of a lot to keep track of.

Sliver
2012-08-01, 12:20 AM
Scarecrow looks at the broken bridge with unease. "It's quite wider than I imagined..." He notes as he looks at the rapids and then surveys the area around.

Does it seem like the rapids are strong enough to sweep a dense object like a warforged weighting over 300lb? Is there anything around the area, on our side, like heavy rocks or metal?

Yes, I want Scarecrow to cross the bottom of the river, even if it means tying stones to his body like weights. Or perhaps I should tie another warforged to his body...

RCgothic
2012-08-01, 12:25 AM
Eleanor
"Blast! Well there's no going that way! We need to double back and take the long way round, and we'd better do so quickly! If the rumours about Doublebridge are true then I don't want to be here in the dark. I say we start hustling out of here immediately!"

Sliver
2012-08-01, 12:32 AM
Scarecrow

"Wait a second, I do want to see the undead at night! There is still a chance to pass through here, I have an idea, just..." He continues to look around. "If I can get to the other side through the bottom of the river, we could pass a rope over the bridge..."

How wide is the gap at the bridge?

RCgothic
2012-08-01, 02:02 AM
Eleanor
"Rascasse can't cross on a rope, and I think that would take too long. I genuinely think we'll be endangering our charges to remain here for any time at all. We should retreat a safe distance and camp for the night."

Sliver
2012-08-01, 12:29 PM
Scarecrow

The dragon ponders for a short moment. "I see your point, I have not thought of that. I agree then, we should take the detour. I suppose you'll want to rest up... I am unable to see through the dark night yet, but I do not require rest after such a short journey and don't mind keeping watch alone. Although yes, anything with decent stealth could sneak up easily... We'll set up some defenses I guess."

Tyndmyr
2012-08-02, 03:30 PM
Tynd shrugs.

"Undead sound like fun!...but I suppose we really shouldn't risk it. To camp it is, then. I'll take first watch with you, if you like. I always have trouble getting to sleep anyway, and with two of us around, it'll save the trouble of setting up defenses!"

RCgothic
2012-08-03, 01:11 AM
Eleanor

"Yes, it's nearing time to camp, but not here. Let's backtrack a few miles first."

Sliver
2012-08-03, 01:17 AM
Scarecrow

Scarecrow shrugs. "Wouldn't that negate quite a bit of travel and add for tomorrow? If it's just to get away from the undead, let's start with the wide detour we had planned... With me and Prophet, along with Tynd for a while, I don't think we'll have too much trouble with the night."

RCgothic
2012-08-03, 01:45 AM
Eleanor
"Perhaps I'm misremembering how far back we passed the turn off to Riverford, maybe we can still make it to there tonight? Let's see how far we get, anyway."

TooManySecrets
2012-08-07, 08:25 AM
http://i.imgur.com/nqC3r.gif

FORD THAT RIVER!

Prophet, 124C
"Whoever did enacted destruction, did it for a reason. This doesn't seem to be the work of undead engaging in mindless destruction - the damage wouldn't be contained solely to one part of the bridge. This was intentional."

"I think Eleanor is right. We could be walking into a trap and trying to make our way in unknown terrain without a trail could quickly lead to disaster, especially with night fast approaching. We should back off, set up our camp off the main path while we have plenty of time, and make our decision when dawn breaks. The life of our charges is more important than a few hours delay."

Malimar
2012-08-08, 06:47 AM
DM
Warforged, in this world, are, very often, built specifically for operating underwater. They're even called "Seaforged" as often as they're called "Warforged". Walking right across the bottom of the river looks like it's a definite possibility. It does look like it's flowing fairly quickly, but probably not quickly enough to sweep a warforged away.

Maybe a couple of stones would indeed help, just to make sure. There are many scattered stones of all the sizes a person might want, all over the area. Many of them are from the bridge itself.

The gap in the bridge is about 200 feet wide. Roughly the middle half of the bridge is gone, with a quarter left on each end.

The turnoff, where the road splits (one way going north, to Doublebridge; the other east, to Riverford; the third south, to Endeesy), is about 2 miles south of your current location, yes. It is already approaching dusk, it'll certainly be dark by the time you reach the fork.

Sliver
2012-08-08, 08:14 AM
Scarecorw

"I don't think it would be such a bad idea generally, but it's impractical with the large gap to make an improvised rope bridge. Let us return to the fork and make camp nearby." Says Crow.

TooManySecrets
2012-08-09, 12:16 AM
Says Crow.

http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/3631/crowsolo.jpg

Prophet, 124C
"By the time we return to the fork, it will be dark. I am far from experienced at setting up a camp, but I don't think that any of us would want to set up in the dark. Let's just pull back a distance from the bridge and set up while we still have some shred of daylight."

RCgothic
2012-08-09, 06:30 AM
Eleanor
"No, it certainly doesn't feel safe here. We should hustle back a mile or so and find somewhere off the path to bed down for the night."

Sliver
2012-08-10, 02:42 AM
Scarecrow

The Adamantine dragon nods "Alright, let's go." He says and begins running back, which with his heavy body is just a hurried walk for pretty much everybody.

Tyndmyr
2012-08-11, 12:38 PM
Tynd

Tynd takes a last, longing look at the chasm. It really did seem like the sort of place that undead would hang out, and he'd heard of them, but never gotten to meet any. Secretly, he hoped they'd stumble across some at some point.

Turning away with the rest of the party, he ambled back along the path, crossbow at the ready.

Malimar
2013-01-12, 11:59 PM
DM
The fork, where the roads from Doublebridge, Riverford, and Endeesy meet, is about a mile back, so it's well and truly dark by the time they find it again.

This is a much more well-traveled road these days than the one from Doublebridge, so they should be safer from wildlife, undead, and the horrible monster-creatures that the rumors say have a habit of wandering the countryside at night, albeit not necessarily safer from bandits (better-traveled doesn't necessarily mean well-traveled, especially at night).

And there our heroes and their slave rescuees shall set up camp for the night!

Sliver
2013-01-13, 12:04 AM
Scarecrow

"Prophet and myself shall keep watch, the rest of you may rest as long as is needed. We have a long way ahead of us." Scarecrow says and helps the ex-slaves with setting up a camp, as much as his weak and clunky mechanism allows him.

Malimar
2013-01-14, 02:47 PM
DM
Camp is made, and Scarecrow and Prophet keep watch over the flocks by night!

Despite the rumors of horrible monsters from Mount Dis and undead from Doublebridge, the night passes peacefully and uneventfully.

Eventually: day breaks!

Sliver
2013-01-14, 03:30 PM
Scarecrow

The metallic dragon helps packing up the camp as quickly as possible while Kellz meditates and refreshes his mind. When they are ready, Scarecrow glances at Eleanor. "You have said the road to Perch Hill is quite long, if we are forced to take the detour, am I correct? We should head on."

As they continue, Scarecrow takes his usual running at the front, his heavy scales slowing his pace to a normal walk.

RCgothic
2013-01-15, 08:17 AM
Eleanor

As we set off again I once again take up position in the vanguard of the column, Rascasse at a gentle trot - a very sedate pace in comparison to Scarecrow's laboured progress! I keep my weapons near to hand, but after we pass the fork I allow myself to relax a bit.

"Yes, that's right. We'll have to go through Riverford and Fourside. If we can make it as far as Fourside tonight then I'll call that good progress I think."

Malimar
2013-01-16, 02:08 AM
DM
So the group packs up camp and begins to head east!

The distance from here to Riverford isn't particularly great. Basically a straight shot due east for five or so miles. So it should be less than two hours over the reasonably smooth road.

On the downhill road, they encounter a few merchant caravans, a handful of farmers. They cross a small bridge over a little tributary stream that feeds into the Bitey River to the north.

It's still high morning as they come within sight of Riverford! It isn't anything like as big a city as Endeesy. It's not even in the top five of the country's biggest towns. The town is protected by a low earth rampart. It used to be an actual ford, but since the construction of the bridge, it has become one of the few locations in Gus that isn't exactly what it says on the tin.

One of the mongrelfolk freedmen judges this far enough from Endeesy's reach, and slips off into the town to make a new life on his own.

RCgothic
2013-01-16, 06:13 AM
Eleanor

"How are we doing for rations? Is there any bread or chesse left over? We can either stop here for lunch or keep going. At this rate we'll make Fourside in good time and we can stop there for the night. We should get to Perch Hill by mid-afternoon tomorrow."

Sliver
2013-01-17, 02:18 AM
Scarecrow

Scarecrow remains silent. It was sad how those without the ancient powers of dragons had to concern themselves with such silly matters. "It does not matter for me." Scarecrow finally pointed out the obvious. "I think it should be their choice," he motioned at the freedpeople "I doubt they had a good meal in a while..."

Malimar
2013-01-18, 02:19 AM
DM
The various freedpersons appear enthusiastic about the idea of stopping at an eatery for a proper meal. The rations Eleanor came up with were a lot better than what they were getting in the slave pits, but still nothing compared to a real proper meal.

RCgothic
2013-01-18, 12:51 PM
Eleanor
"Very well. Take this money to buy some food, and anyone who wants to proceed should meet us at the east gate in an hour."

I hand out half a gold piece to each freedperson and go to find a meal for myself as well.

-7gp. 48gp remaining.

Malimar
2013-01-22, 02:41 AM
DM
The freedpersons and their adventurers wander off to various food places in town, to meet up at the east gate, by the bridge, later on.

The two warforged don't need to eat, so it's up to them what they're up to while the rest of the party is eating.

And so, somewhere in the town of Riverford, Eleanor finds a reasonably reputable-looking traveler's inn containing a number of merchants having tasty-looking breakfasts. Standing out somewhat among the scattered mongrelfolk is a big guy, appears to be maybe a half-orc, with the distinctive mien of a fellow adventurer. This is Garol Drandej (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=420146).

Sliver
2013-01-22, 05:39 AM
Scarecrow

The dragon decides to escort the freedpeople and watch over them while they dine, in case something goes wrong.

RCgothic
2013-01-23, 06:34 PM
Eleanor

I pay for my meal, nodding respectfully to the distinctive half-orc before sitting to complete my meal. If not interrupted, I'll check around for any local jobs that weren't advertised in Endeesey before returning to the rendezvous.

D_Man_7733
2013-01-25, 07:01 PM
Garol nods quietly in return before looking around, waiting for her to finish her meal before approaching her, "Hey, would you mind me asking if you were planning on leaving Riverford anytime soon, I've been meaning to get out of this town to try and find somone, but everyone else who came through didn't want me tagging along?" He sneers visible when talking about people not wanting him to tag along.

RCgothic
2013-01-28, 03:32 AM
Eleanor

I pause in the doorway and weigh up the options - he looks trustworthy, and sounds well-spoken for a half-orc (which certainly doesn't bother me), but what would the others think? And how much is the secrecy of our quest worth?

I have to decide quickly - it's rude to keep someone waiting in silence after they've asked you something! I find myself holding out my hand to this stranger - "Hi, I'm Eleanor. You're welcome to join my companions and I, but I'm afraid we're currently on an unpaid escort mission to Perch Hill. We'll be looking for paid work after that, if you're still interested?"

We might need the extra help. Some of the others have been worryingly quiet today, and I wonder if they've started having doubts about working for free. Whatever they decide, I'm not abandoning these people. We were all made slaves together, and I'll make sure they all come to safety.

D_Man_7733
2013-01-28, 07:17 PM
Garol

Looking thoughtfully for a moment, Garol returns the handshake, with a smile, "I'm Garol Drandej, and it doesn't bother me in the least working unpaid for a while." Double checking his equipment he puts wide brimmed hat on and gestures to the doorway "Lead on Eleanor, but if you don't mind me asking, who is the escort for?".

RCgothic
2013-01-29, 04:39 AM
Eleanor

"Have you heard of Nalf's Slave Market in Endeesey? Well it turns out they've been preying on unwary travellers, among others, myself included I have to admit. A few nights ago another group broke us all out and burned the place to the ground. They were a very attention deficient lot, held together by a more level-headed elf girl.

Unfortunately she was captured during our escape, and the remaining members immediately rushed off to save her with no regard for the welfare of the former slaves they'd just liberated, who would have immediately been recaptured or starved to death without help. I've been doing what I can for them since. If we can get to the Perch Hill Monastery then they should be safe there."

D_Man_7733
2013-01-29, 08:15 PM
Garol

"Well at least they had some loyalty to their friend, I guess it was a good thing you were there then, but no I haven't heard of Nalf's Slave market sorry, but I agree with what your doing, keeping these people safe until they can keep themselves safe"

Malimar
2013-01-29, 11:34 PM
DM
Catching up on a query from several posts ago: The inn in Riverford has a few of the same postings by the door as the Adventurer's Guild in Endeesy does. There are some local ones, too, but they're pretty much all of the "missing person" and "get rid of my rat infestation" sorts. (On the "get rid of my rat infestation" request, somebody has scrawled a suggestion that whoever posted it should acquire a cat.)

RCgothic
2013-01-30, 03:15 AM
Eleanor

"Then I'm glad to have you with us!" I say with a smile. "Come on, I'll introduce you to the others and then we can get on our way again." I push the door of the inn open and head back to the rendevous.

Malimar
2013-01-31, 04:58 PM
DM
And so, at the appointed time, the freedpersons and the party meet up once again, at the bridge over the River Bitey! Eleanor the human, Scarecrow the warforged dragon, and Garol the half-orc; Bad the goblin and Xugebd the bugbear; "LittleMind", "Bloodynose", and "Quirky" the engineers; Tynd the half-elf; Prophet 124C the warforged; Rinthe, Drusiphia, and Eniaor the elves; a mongrelman and a mongrelmaid; two human men and two human women, one each from the Omorashi Empire and the Republic of Romus.

Quite a merry little band they've assembled.

So: another five or so miles east, to the hamlet of X, and thence north to the larger town of Fourside, and then west to Suzanne's Inn and on from there? Or due north (and then a bit west), less than half the distance but over rougher and wilder terrain, directly to Suzanne's Inn?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-ACPbruhXdSU/T_zRahw9h3I/AAAAAAAAAD8/FW_dFqwjYcc/s1600/gusmap.gif

Sliver
2013-02-01, 01:45 AM
Scarecrow

"Welcome aboard!" Scarecrow declared as Garol approached. "I am Scarecrow, the Adamantine Dragon... Hatchling." He adds, mumbling. "But I'll grow to become a fierce dragon one day, you'll see." He puffs his chest.

"We have delayed quite a bit taking a detour through here, but at least it didn't come to waste. Unfortunately, these fellows here aren't very battle ready to the wild. If we are attacked on the road it will be easier to defend them and we should have enough supplies..."

Scarecrow discusses the route with himself as he approaches Garol and casts Endure Exposure on him.

How much supplies do we have? If we have less than a week of supplies, Scarecrow will pay for that. How much will it cost?

RCgothic
2013-02-01, 03:05 AM
Eleanor

"I agree. If it were just us I'd consider crossing the wilds, but with these people with us we should stick to the roads, even if it takes slightly longer. I'd guess that it's fewer that 20 miles to Perch Hill - we might be able to manage that today. If not we can stop at Suzanne's Inner or Fourside. Let's set off and see how far we get."

Malimar
2013-02-08, 03:11 PM
DM
There was a barrel of flour before, but I think they left that in Endeesy. The party doesn't have all that much in the way of supplies. Trail rations for 18 people for a week is 18 people x 7 days x 5 sp, or 63 gold pieces. That said, it's a tiny continent, so the trip to Perch Hill is only a day or two, with semi-frequent towns the whole way. (Though the monks at the monastery could well appreciate a donation of food to sustain the crowd, so that's something to possibly consider.)

Once that's taken care of, the trip to X starts out relatively uneventful. The party crosses the Bitey River at the bridge and continues downhill. There's a shepherd tending a flock of fluffy sheep. There's a light shower of rain later in the day. There's a couple narrow brooks and streams to ford. Eventually, around midafternoon, the party reaches the small crossroad town of X (population: ≈1400).

RCgothic
2013-02-11, 07:39 AM
Eleanor

This isn't quite as much progress as I'd been hoping to make, but I judge that Fourside is probably still within reach tonight and I'd like to press on if at all possible.

"How is everyone feeling? I know it's mid afternoon now, but I'm sure we could reach Fourside tonight, which would make it more likely that we could reach Perch hill by tomorrow. If any of you are feeling tired, I'd be happy to let you take a turn on Rascasse - I don't mind walking for a while."

What season is it? What are the hours of daylight?

Malimar
2013-02-11, 07:38 PM
DM
Some of the freedpersons are indeed starting to feel a little tired, though the desire to get farther away from Endeesy and closer to real safety pushes them on. Rinthe in particular is happy to ride Rascasse for awhile -- she seems particularly unaccustomed to walking long distances.

It is mid-summer. Daylight lasts approximately from 06:00-20:00. If there are no delays, the group will almost certainly be able to make Fourside before dark.

D_Man_7733
2013-02-13, 12:55 AM
GAROL

Barely hiding a sneer at Eleanor offering her horse to ride Garol speaks up in response to her question. "No need to worry about me, I'm fine, a walk is good for the legs anyway" almost tripping over his own two feet, Garol rearranges his scimitar to waylay any suspicions that he was slightly tired and needed to focus.

Just a note, Minor Aura: Motivate Dexterity is active, and all allies (everyone here at the moment) gets a +1 to Dexterity related skill checks, and initiative.

RCgothic
2013-02-15, 03:29 AM
Eleanor

I help Rinthe onto Rascasse, and then walk alongside, happy to chat to pass the time. As everyone seems to want to press on I lead the group through X and along the road to Fourside.

Malimar
2013-02-19, 09:14 PM
DM
The party continues on its way once again! And, remarkably, they... get safely to Fourside, after a few more hours of marching! It is now approaching nighttime: they definitely won't be able to make it to Suzanne's Inn before nightfall.

The countryside is reputed to be dangerous at night, and some of the freedpersons are nervous about the prospect of being out of civilization at night. Other freedpersons are just tired from having been walking all day. (For the second day in a row, with a sleep in between.) Others, however, aren't particularly comfortable with the idea of sleeping in a Fourside inn. It's a big port town, word from Endeesy will probably have gotten here already. No telling if anybody's actively tracking them or not.

Sliver
2013-03-01, 03:36 AM
Scarecrow

"Let's set camp somewhere off the road, not too close to Fourside." Scarecrow offers. He wasn't sure how many more days the people would tolerate sleeping outside. They were pretty fragile and the nights weren't especially warm. But considering how the lived up to this point, it's probably a step up nonetheless and they wouldn't complain too much. Soft flesh was so much hassle. Scales rule.

RCgothic
2013-03-02, 09:36 AM
Eleanor

I was going to suggest finding a quiet inn in town, but perhaps camping outside the town limits isn't such a bad idea. After we find a good spot, I help the pilgrims to get comfortable and then settle down for the night. I first make sure Scarecrow is alright with standing the night watch by himself.

Malimar
2013-03-03, 01:03 PM
DM
So the party makes camp outside the town, finding a decent camp site a few dozen yards from a soothingly burbling little brook (too small to be shown on the continent map).

Once everybody's settled, the three elves consult for a few moments. Eniaor, the elf-man, goes into a restorative trance, while Rinthe and Drusiphia apparently elect to help keep watch with Scarecrow. (One presumes they'll switch it up for the second half of everybody else's eight-hour sleep.)

The temperature dips into the "very slightly chilly for the summer season" range (about 65 Fahrenheit (18 centigrade); a couple of the freedpersons appear to be a bit chilly, sleeping without bedrolls.)

The first watch passes rather more uneventfully than expected. Eniaor finishes his trance, Rinthe and Drusiphia begin theirs.

A little later, Scarecrow notices that the frogs at the brook are croaking a bit more than they had been for most of the night. Also, hissing, which is a very unusual noise for frogs to be making. He's pretty sure there's something in the brook other than frogs. And he suspects they're probably bigger than frogs, though they're trying to keep their noises down. The noises are something like whispered croaks and hisses, if you can imagine that.

Sliver
2013-03-03, 03:32 PM
Scarecrow quietly tells Eniaor to wake up the others and alert them that there might be an ambush going on. Pulling out his tower shield and knowing he is going to sound like a suit of armor being thrown down stairs made out of thousands of bells, he didn't bother with being subtle.

As soon as he saw the others waking up and getting ready, he let out a stream of fire towards the sounds, lighting up the night.

Malimar
2013-03-21, 04:38 PM
DM
Scarecrow instructs Eniaor to go wake up the others, and the elf-man goes to do exactly that thing, shaking all the freedpersons and their escorts awake.

Then Scarecrow goes and emits fire at the hissing, croaking noises! There are many shrieks, and the firelight is reflected off of dozens of white eyes. Then the noises scatter in all directions. In the few moments they're clearly visible, it becomes clear that these are vaguely iguana-like creatures, about halfling-sized, with mottled gray and brown flesh.

,,p,,,♣,,,,,♣,,,~~,,
,,,p,ppp,,,,,,,,~,,,
,,p,,,,,,,,,,f,~~,,,
p,,p,E,p,♣,,,,,~f,,,
,,p,,,,0,,,,,,,~~,,,
,,,p,,,,,,,,,,~~,,,,
p,,,p,,,,S,,,,~f,,♣,
,,,,,,,,♣,,,,,~,f,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,~~,,0,,
,,♣,,,,,,f,,~f~,f,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,~~,,,,♣,,
,0,,,,,,f,~~,,f,f,,,
,,,,,,,,~~~,,f,,,,,,
,,,,f,,~~,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,~,,,f♣,,,,,♣,
♣,,,,,,~~,,,,,,0,,,,
,,,,,,,,~~~,,,,,,,,,
,,,♣,,,,,,~~~,♣,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,~~,,,,,,
,,,0,,,,,,,,,~~~,,,,, - grass
~ - brook
0 - big boulder
♣ - small tree
S - Scarecrow
E - Eleanor
p - miscellaneous freedperson/ally (mostly prone/asleep)
f - frog/iguana creature?

RCgothic
2013-03-29, 04:55 PM
Eleanor

The sudden noise and light as I come round is disorienting, but I shake my head to clear it and reach for my glaive.

"To arms! To arms! We're under attack! Stay together!"

A split second appraisal reveals a pair of the creatures approaching from the river, and I move to threaten the closest one with my glaive.

Move action to stand up.
Swift action to slip into Martial Spirit (any hits heal 2).
Move action to move 10ft to the west of the nearest creature 30ft total movement.
AoO if it presents itself: [roll0]
Crit Conf (if relevant): [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]

Sliver
2013-03-30, 08:12 AM
Scarecrow approaches one of the frog monsters until they are only separated by the brook as he roars, letting the fire out of his mouth.

20ft moved total, shield is already drawn.

Entangling Blast in a cone, catching two of the frogs.

[roll0] DC15 reflex half.
[roll1] Turns entangled if takes damage

Hmmm... Initiative: [roll2]

D_Man_7733
2013-04-06, 06:47 PM
*Activate Minor Aura: Motivate Dexterity as a swift action (All allies gain +1 Morale bonus to initiative & dex skill checks)*

Standing Garol lifts his Crossbow and fires a bolt at the frog monster closest to the group of freedpersons.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
Crit Confirm: [roll2] (damage x2)

Initiative if necessary: [roll3]

Malimar
2013-04-07, 09:16 AM
DM
One of the creatures ducks its head under the brook, then, recovering its courage, waddles to within 10 feet of Scarecrow and spews muddy water in his general direction. But he successfully ducks out of the way of the muddy spew.

The bugbear rescuee rouses herself when Eniaor shakes her awake, and, drawing her salvaged sword and shield, roars into the midst of the little creatures.

Garol takes aim at a nice target, but his bolt sadly sails over the creature's head.

One of the creatures waddles over to a cluster of freedpersons and prepares to sprays its muddy water all over them.
Another creature waddles out of the brook towards Scarecrow, as menacingly as it can manage.

Eleanor interposes herself between the freedpersons and the creature preparing to spray.

A lizard-creature tries, and fails, to bite at the bugbear!

The goblin freedman pulls out his shortspear and goes to the bugbear's rescue, charging the creature that tried to bite her! He impales the creature solidly, and it goes limp.

Then more of the monsters! One charges the goblin, chomping solidly down on his thigh.
Another sprays the goblin and the bugbear with muddy water; the goblin yells when it gets mud in its eyes.
Another steps up to Scarecrow and tries to bite him, but the metal dragon-dude easily interposes his shield between himself and the creature's sharp gnashy teeth.
Some others mill about, some edge away, nervous about these potentially actually competent foes; some skulk forwards, looking for targets; some edge sideways, trying to get into better positions.

Scarecrow finds two of the creatures already near him. One tried to bite him, one tried to spew mud on him. There's at least one place from which he could get both of them in his cone, so he makes a 5' step and breathes. Both of the creatures depressingly made their saves, but they still don't look particularly happy about the 1 damage they took. Also, they are entangled by fire, which they look particularly unhappy about.

The last two creatures begin to inch away from the fire and the stabbings.

p,p,,,♣,,,,,♣,,,~~,,
,,,p,pE,f,,,,,,,~,,,
,,p,,,,,,,,,,,,~~,,,
p,,p,,,p,♣,,f,,~,,,,
,,,,,,,0,,,,,,,~~,,,
,p,G,,,,S,,,,,~~,,,,
p,,,,,,,,,,f,,~~,,♣,
,,,,,,,,♣f,,,,~,,f,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,~~,,0,,
,,♣,,,,,,,,,~~~,f,,,
,,,,,,,bxf,~~,,,,♣,,
,0,,,,f,*,~~,,f,,,,,
,,,,,,,,~~~,,f,,,,,,
,,,,,,,~~,,,,,,,f,,,
,,,,,,,f,,,,♣,,,,,♣,
♣,,,,,,~~,,,,,,0,,,,
,,,,,,,,~~~,,,,,,,,,
,,,♣,,,,,,~~~,♣,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,~~,,,,,,
,,,0,,,,,,,,,~~~,,,,

, - grass
~ - brook
0 - big boulder
♣ - small tree
S - Scarecrow
E - Eleanor
G - Garol
p - miscellaneous freedperson/ally (mostly prone/asleep)
x - the bugbear freedwoman
b - the goblin freedman

RCgothic
2013-04-10, 03:23 AM
Eleanor

As I confront the creature closest to the pilgrims, I try and remember my textbooks - to be aware of the entire battle and not become distracted by one particular foe, just because it's the closest. Curiously I feel no fear for my own safety, but I am nervous for the others. I see a second creature skulking behind the first, and I resolve to finish them off as quickly as possible so I can go to the aid of the others!

5-foot step SE.

Attacking the threatened creature:
Critical Conf: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]

If the threatened creature tries to get away from me, or if any other creature tries to get past me towards the freedpersons through my threatened area I'll use Stand Still:
AoO: [roll3]
Critical Conf: [roll4]
Damage: [roll5]
Fortitude DC to move: 15
(but not going to have hit anything with a 5, am I?)

Sliver
2013-04-10, 03:30 AM
Scarecrow adjusts to catch the two frogs while avoiding burning down the tree.

Entangling damage, another round left:
[roll0] First Frog
[roll1] Second Frog

Another Entangling breath:
[roll2] DC15 Ref for half.
[roll3] Rounds of entangle. The entangling penalty doesn't stack, but the damage does.

D_Man_7733
2013-04-14, 03:55 PM
Replacing a bolt in his crossbow, Garol prepares to take a shot at the next frog that he has a clear line of sight to.

Ready action, attack next frog to appear with no cover
Attack:
Damage: [roll[1d8

Crit Confirm:
Crit Damage: [roll[1d8

D_Man_7733
2013-04-15, 01:54 AM
**Fixed roll**

Damage: [roll0]

Malimar
2013-05-04, 06:39 PM
DM
One of the entangled, burning creatures flails around, charging Scarecrow and flailing ineffectually against his armor.

The bugbear takes a 5' step away from the nearest target and swings her sword at the one threatening her goblin buddy, but misses.

A mongrelmaid freedwoman has stirred herself grabs a hefty stick and runs over to give Eleanor a little backup, standing beside her (but is apparently sensible enough not to actually get any closer to the froggy-monster than Eleanor is).

Scarecrow's turn: The two creatures Scarecrow set on entangled-fire collapse.

Garol reloads! This is kind of a target-rich environment. What's probablt the best shot is already on fire and probably not going to last much longer. There are a couple good shots, but they're in melee with the goblin and the bugbear. There's one that Eleanor looks like she's about to lay the smackdown upon. But hey! The bugbear stepped away from one, leaving one froggy thing completely open, an easy shot. Garol pegs it right in the gut, injuring it actually pretty badly.

The creature nearest Eleanor spews a mouthful of muddy water all over her face. She dodges just wrong, catching the spray directly in her eyes, blinding her for 2 rounds.

One of the burning frog-things flees into the brook, seeking refuge from the fire! But the burning entanglement slows him, and he can't quite reach the safety of the water. (Unbeknownst to it, the mere water probably wouldn't put out the supernatural fire anyway.)

Eleanor, though she has noxious horribleness in her eyes, is pretty sure she knows where the thing still is, so she takes a step, swings her weapon, and is rewarded with a gurgling squeal as she squelches the creature, spilling its guts everywhere. It collapses.

The goblin freedman, blinded with mud in its eyes, swings wildly at the nearest lizard-frog creature! And misses his target. Then he stumbles 5' away from them, trying to scrape the mud from his face.

Three of the creatures, apparently a superstitious and cowardly lot, scramble away, ducking behind trees and away into the darkness.

The creature Garol pegged with a crossbow bolt retains the presence of mind to step over the body of one of its companions to flank the bugbear, but its claws still scrabble harmlessly against her tough skin.

The one flanking with the bugbear has either more or less preesnce of mind, and it backs away from her, circles around (the goblin flails and misses as he hears it pass him by), and approaches within 15' of Garol. These creatures appear to be clumsy and ungainly out of the water, unable to move very quickly on land.

Another advances on the bugbear, clawing her about as badly as it's capable of. She doesn't appear particularly bothered by it.

Another dives into the brook and emerges quickly, near-ish to Scarecrow and Eleanor.

The two that Scarecrow set on fire last round collapse into squealing, burning heaps.
There are, however, a tempting new pair of targets only a little bit to the east. So, if no objections, he moves there and breathes on two new targets! Both of which make their saves, and each take half of 1 damage (which is, of course, 1). They, too, are now entangled and on fire!

The other one that's now on fire... moves to Scarecrow, who effortlessly steps out of the way of the creature's claws!

The last creature, with a splash, dives into the brook, then emerges from the other side of the brook, right next to Scarecrow.

A mongrelfolk freedman manages to also get to his feet, and ambles over to Garol, to aid him against the approaching froggy-lizard. With, apparently, his bare hands.

p,p,,,♣,,,,,♣,,,~~,,
,,,p,p,,*,,,,,,,~,,,
,,,,,,mE,,,,,,,~~,,,
,,,p,,,p,♣,,,,,~,,,,
,,,,,,,0,,,,f,f~~,,,
,p,Gm,,,,*,S,,~~,,,,
p,,,,,,,,,,,f,~~,,♣,
,,,,,,,,♣,,,,,~,,,,,
,,,f,,,,,,,*,~~,,0,,
,,♣,,,b,,,,,~~~,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,~~,,,,♣,,
,0,,,,,xf,~~,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,f~~~,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,~~,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,~,,,,♣,,,,,♣,
♣,,,,,,~~,,,,,,0,,,,
,,,,,,,,~~~,,,,,,,,,
,,,♣,,,,,,~~~,♣,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,~~,,,,,,
,,,0,,,,,,,,,~~~,,,,
, - grass
~ - brook
0 - big boulder
♣ - small tree
S - Scarecrow
E - Eleanor
G - Garol
p - miscellaneous freedperson/ally (mostly prone and groggy)
x - bugbear freedwoman
b - goblin freedman
m - mongrelfolk freedperson

RCgothic
2013-05-05, 02:05 AM
Eleanor

Ah!

I wipe my eyes ineffectually, trying to get the dirty, stinging muck out of them! Urgh, I can't believe I let myself get covered in this filth!I have no idea where the next target is, so I stumble a few steps towards where I judge the small tree to be, reaching for its support. Taking a breather for a few moments before bellowing my frustration in the general direction of the remaining fight!

Move 10ft east.
Intimidate [roll0]
Fight with total defense if attacked.

Attack of Opportunity if presented with one:
Miss chance (2 is a hit): [roll1]
Attack: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]
Also, Stand Still Feat.
Random Flailing!

D_Man_7733
2013-05-08, 02:20 AM
Garol

Harumphing as his shot strikes true, Garol reloads as the mongrelfolk walks up beside him. "If you would prefer, you can use my scimitar to fight... it's up to you though, you probably know what you're capable of better than I do." He punctuates the end of his words with a shot at the frog-thing to his south.

EDIT: Can I change the target to the one to the south of scarecrow? If not, it's fine.

Attack: [roll0] (crits on 21-22 total)

Crit confirm: [roll2]
Bonus Damage: [roll3]

Malimar
2013-05-16, 07:22 PM
DM
The bugbear freedwoman briefly considers stepping aside to make it less easy for the two creatures near her to flank her, but thinks better of it, and just clobbers one of them with her sword, taking it down with a wet squelch.

The mongrelmaid by Eleanor steps to her other side, ready to bludgeon any lizard-creatures that get close with her stick.

You may change your actions at any time before I adjudicate them, with the obvious exception of things like "I failed my roll, so instead of attacking I take this different standard action".
Garol shoots at one of the creatures threatening Scarecrow! Because Garol would presumably prefer not to hit his ally, his aiming options are limited, so the creature's dodging options are enhanced. (Which is to say, he takes the standard -4 for shooting a ranged weapon into melee.) So the creature ducks briefly into Scarecrow's lee, and Garol's shot sadly sails past, thunking into a tree across the brook.

Eleanor finds her way to what definitely feels like the tree, and bellows her rage! She hears some terrified squeaking from a few yards beyond the tree.

The goblin delays until enough of the mud has dripped or been scraped from its eyes.

Another of the creatures, the one a bit to the south of Garol and the mongrelman, charges Garol with its claws out, flailing! At first, I typoed that as "failing", and that would have been just as accurate, because its claws scrabble harmlessly against Garol's armor.

The two creatures that are entangled on fire? They collapse, screaming, burning to death.

The creature next to the bugbear, seeing most of its comrades either fled or dead, panics! Dives into the brook and swims away (using the withdraw action)!

Scarecrow delays (which is to say, he'll go first next round).

The last creature, next to Scarecrow, is braver than the others. Or is less observant of the state of the battlefield than the others. It claws at Scarecrow, who easily steps out of the way of its teeth.

The mongrelman gladly takes Garol's scimitar with a, "Many thanks, gallant dude", and... apparently does know roughly how to use it! (Which is to say, is proficient with it.) He not-exactly-expertly-but-also-not-exactly-clumsily swings at the creature that tried to attack Garol, and... completely misses it. Maybe he hasn't used a weapon of this high quality in awhile, if ever. Maybe he'll need a few practice swings.

p,p,,,♣,,,,,♣,,,~~,,
,,,p,p,,*,,,,,,,~,,,
,,,,,,,,m,,,,,,~~,,,
,,,p,,,pE♣,,,,,~,,,,
,,,,,,,0,,,,*,*~~,,,
,p,Gm,,,,*,S,,~~,,,,
p,,f,,,,,,,,f,~~,,♣,
,,,,,,,,♣,,,,,~,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,*,~~,,0,,
,,♣,,,b,,,,,~~~,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,~~,,,,♣,,
,0,,,,,x*,~~,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,~~~,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,~~,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,~,,,,♣,,,,,♣,
♣,,,,,,~~,,,,,,0,,,,
,,,,,,,,~~~,,,,,,,,,
,,,♣,,,,,,~~~,♣,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,~~,,,,,,
,,,0,,,,,,,,,~~~,,,,
, - grass
~ - brook
0 - big boulder
♣ - small tree
S - Scarecrow
E - Eleanor
G - Garol
p - miscellaneous freedperson/ally (mostly prone and groggy)
x - bugbear freedwoman
b - goblin freedman
e - Eniaor

D_Man_7733
2013-05-17, 02:25 AM
Garol

Smiling as the mongrelman take his scimitar Garol replies"No problem, thanks for the cover" He then shifts back behind the mongrelman (diagonally - up and to the right) and reloads his crossbow.

Sliver
2013-05-17, 12:43 PM
Scarecrow

Scarecrow looks down at the frog thing with disintrest. Those weren't a challenge, the creatures were suicidal and quick to burn. Opening his mouth once more, he let out a stream of flame.

[roll0] DC15 Ref halves
[roll1] Entangle rounds

RCgothic
2013-05-17, 02:38 PM
Eleanor

I take a few steps in the direction of the squeaking, scowling in frustration as I try to blink the gunk out of my eyes. I still can't see a thing, but remember in time not to attempt to wipe my face with my razored forearms! I bellow another threat at the unseen opponents!

5-ft step southeast. Intimidate: [roll0]

Malimar
2013-05-17, 03:34 PM
DM
Scarecrow looks down on the last creature, and emits fire! It dodges partially out of the way, but finds itself on fire like its sizzling compatriots!

The bugbear looks around for more foes, and sees one by Garol and the mongrelman! She charges, and... actually hits it, square in the back! It dies.

The mongrelmaid with the stick by Eleanor sees only one remaining creature! The creature is on fire, and liable to die next round of being on fire, but she doesn't care, she wants to whack it with her stick anyway! So she ambles over, and... actually does. Barely. For 2 damage, which, combined with Garol's 1, takes it down.

Garol takes a step, and reloads!

Eleanor hears no reaction from her foes!

Eventually, Eleanor gets all the muck cleared from her eyes, and discovers that all the foes are slain or unconscious (most of the unconscious ones are dead in short order, though, either from being on fire or from the goblin and the bugbear wandering around gleefully stabbing them until they stop twitching).

The mongrelman takes a few more practice swings with Garol's scimitar, then, as he hands it back to its proper owner, declares, "Sweet blade."

Combat over! Scarecrow, Garol, and Eleanor each gain 325 XP.

For XP purposes, if you're worried, I'm treating the freedpersons who participate in combat basically as free cohorts. Which is to say: no, they're not eating into your share of the XP.

p,p,,,♣,,,,,♣,,,~~,,
,,,p,p,,*,,,,,,,~,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,~~,,,
,,,p,,,pE♣,,,,,~,,,,
,,,,G,,0,,,,*,*~~,,,
,p,,m,,,,*,Sm,~~,,,,
p,,*,,,,,,,,*,~~,,♣,
,,,x,,,,♣,,,,,~,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,*,~~,,0,,
,,♣,,,b,,,,,~~~,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,~~,,,,♣,,
,0,,,,,,*,~~,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,~~~,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,~~,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,~,,,,♣,,,,,♣,
♣,,,,,,~~,,,,,,0,,,,
,,,,,,,,~~~,,,,,,,,,
,,,♣,,,,,,~~~,♣,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,~~,,,,,,
,,,0,,,,,,,,,~~~,,,,
, - grass
~ - brook
0 - big boulder
♣ - small tree
S - Scarecrow
E - Eleanor
G - Garol
p - miscellaneous freedperson/ally
x - bugbear freedwoman
b - goblin freedman
e - Eniaor
* - defeated foe

RCgothic
2013-05-17, 03:58 PM
Eleanor

I take a moment to get my bearings as I come down from the combat high. Eight dead creatures and no-one apparently injured! I'm filled with relief that the others managed to handle themselves even after I'd been taken out of the battle by lack of sight.

One of the creatures lies close to the place I was blinded, the first intelligent creature I'd ever had to kill. My expression takes on a grim set - I'd known this result was a likely consequence of setting myself on a warrior's course, but I wish I'd at least been able to see my foe as I snuffed out its life. I mutter a quick prayer to Numiel in grateful thanks that it should be the frog-thing lying there and not me in its place, then I turn back to the others.

"Is everyone all right?" I call out to the group in general. I lope over towards Garol and Scarecrow. "Do you think they'll come back? Perhaps we should move the camp further away from the stream so they have a harder time sneaking up on us."

I survey the carnage once more, aware that the bodies will start to attract flies and vermin. "We should gather the bodies in a pile and then burn them thoroughly."

Sliver
2013-05-18, 07:24 AM
Scarecrow

"Those things were nothing but pests. They were probably looking for easy prey, using numbers to overrun us. I doubt that such an attack will repeat itself. But burning the bodies, that I can do."

Scarecrow gathers up the bodies into a pile and burns them with his breath, then motions for the others to return to sleep.

Malimar
2013-05-18, 10:51 PM
DM
The freedpersons gladly assist in piling the slimy bodies in a heap.

It soon becomes clear that a few of the creatures were carrying little pouches or belts. The engineer women find two flasks of glittering golden clear liquid, and fascinatedly hold them up to the moonlight. The goblin and the mongrelman get into a vicious little scuffle over a slime-covered pouch of silver coins.

Sliver
2013-05-22, 04:40 PM
Scarecrow

Scarecrow watches the looted corpses burn as he glances at the fight breaking out between the two. He didn't believe that pouch would have a lot of money, but for them it would have likely been a much bigger deal. Since Scarecrow didn't expect to get paid for that job, he didn't mind not getting the silver. Approaching the fight, Scarecrow made a point of shooting a stream of fire into the air, catching the attention of the two. Then he reached out his hand, waiting for them to hand him the pouch. Once they do, he counts the silver and attempts to disperse it among the freedpersons as even as he could and even added 50 silver pieces of his own when he felt nobody would notice his actions too much.

Malimar
2013-05-23, 01:33 AM
DM
The freedpersons, with a touch of reluctance, hand over the pouch to Scarecrow.

It turns out that one of the creatures held most of the wealth -- the leader? or one that managed to get dibs on the coin pouch of the last folks the creatures ambushed? -- but a few of the other critters had some cash, and one had the two flasks.

Counting up all the stuff, it comes to 197 silver all told, plus the two flasks of glittering golden clear liquid.

Most of the freedpersons who care about the money are more intent on making sure Scarecrow doesn't take any than on making sure he doesn't add any. It is not with great subtlety that he slips 50s into the pile, but nobody who's paying attention appears to object (though a few raise their eyebrows in his direction).

As it happens, the addition of 50s brings the total to 247, a perfect multiple of 13. (I did not plan that, it just happened.) 19s for each freedperson, unless any of their escorts choose to lay a claim.

Then the bodies of the muckdwellers (for that, proclaims one of the humans, is what they were, informing the group that muckdwellers are vicious pests, endemic to the northerly shores of the kingdom of Gus, troublesome for the unprepared travelling alone, no threat to large groups, as you have found) are burned, and the camp is moved a bit away from the stream, and rest may resume!

Sliver
2013-05-23, 01:39 AM
Scarecrow

Satisfied that it ended up as an even spread and sure that none of the others would get offended at not getting a share of the spoils, Scarecrow swirls the flasks idly as the others lay back to rest and he continues to keep watch.

RCgothic
2013-05-23, 02:13 AM
Eleanor

Content to form a group equipment pool from what is left rather than divide 2 potions between three, and also impressed with scarecrow's handling of the freedpersons, I attempt to catch some more rest ahead of the journey tomorrow.

D_Man_7733
2013-05-25, 06:39 PM
Garol

Taking his scimitar back from the Mongrelman, he nods in approval before going back to sleep.

Malimar
2013-07-02, 10:55 PM
DM
Let's call the flasks of glittering golden clear liquid Item #88. I'll put them down as in Party B's general item pool.

And so the largish group, camping just outside of Fourside (next destination: Suzanne's Inn (some eight miles to the west) then Ironrock (some three miles further), then their final goal, the Monastery of Numiel at Perch Hill (some four additional miles up rather steeper terrain)), successfully makes it through the rest of the night undisturbed!

The freedpersons gradually wake up and begin packing up camp, some of their stomachs rumbling. The trip to Suzanne's Inn will only be a few hours, so they can probably make it at least that far before people start demanding foodnoms. On the other hand, I'm told (or I used to be told -- I haven't actually been told it since I was but a wee lad) that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. So that's a decision to be weighed.

Sliver
2013-07-06, 02:51 AM
Scarecrow

Seeing that none of the named characters take action and the freedpeople don't seem to complain yet, Scarecrow coordinates the packing of the camp and leads the group towards their next destination. "Toughen it up!" He says with a half-roar. "I haven't eaten in years!"

RCgothic
2013-07-11, 03:12 AM
Eleanor

I think that's perhaps a little harsh, but as I don't know what state our supplies are in - and have myself lost track of whoever was supposed to be keeping track of such - I go along with the plan to make for Suzanne's Inn.

I continue to allow the pilgrims to take turns on Rascasse whilst I bring up the rear of the column.

D_Man_7733
2013-07-11, 03:41 PM
Garol

Garol continues along witht the rest of the group, keeping a watchful eye as time passes during their trip.

Malimar
2013-07-11, 10:07 PM
DM
And so, then, on to Suzanne's Inn!

As they trek (at a normal walking pace for most of the party, a slightly-slower-than-hustling pace for the little engineers, who get to alternate riding Rascasse), they encounter suspiciously little activity. On the one hand, it is not nighttime. On the other, one always hears stories of bandits and wild animals should you ever leave the city.

It takes about two and a half hours to approach Suzanne's Inn, a town of about 1000 people, built up at a crossroads around an inn of the same name. It's barely even midmorning.

There's a little bit of grumbling, but the group is so close to their destination that it should be reasonably easy to push on. There will, if nothing else, be an opportunity to buy supplies at Ironrock (a slightly larger town than Suzanne's Inn), which will be the last stop before the abbey.

RCgothic
2013-07-12, 04:51 AM
Eleanor

It might be possible to push on, but I'm not deaf to the grumbling of the pilgrims. My own stomach is grumbing as well! I make sure anyone who wants it has a filling (common) meal at an Suzanne's eponymous Inn before starting off towards Ironrock once more.

Common meals for a day is 3s. This should be only one meal rather than three, but let's call it 1.5s/p to make sure it's filling. Not counting scarecow there are 15 of us, so 15*1.5 = 22.5s.

-2g 2s 5c.
+15 common filling meals.

Then continue.

Malimar
2013-07-14, 04:11 PM
DM
The freedpersons are grateful for the meal at Suzanne's Inn. Suzanne -- a big, bossy mongrelfolk woman (it's my habit to use the terms "mongrelman" and "mongrelmaid", but Suzanne is definitely no kind of maid or maiden) -- seems pleased to have so much business (despite being a crossroads town, it is not a particularly busy crossroads town). The food is actually quite decent! Suzanne and her staff definitely know their craft.

And then it's on to Ironrock! A segment of the journey so short and so uneventful that, as the group just ate an hour ago, I'm inclined to skip on to the next and final segment without even saying "hey, you wanna stop at this town?" So let's do that. The party passes through (or around) Ironrock, and then it's on to the narrower, craggier path up to the summit of Perch Hill.

So it's another three or so hours of truckin' up to Perch Hill! A few malicious-looking not-birds circle overhead briefly, but decide the big group isn't worth the trouble.

So, at about 15:00, the group approaches the high brick walls of the monastery of Numiel at Perch Hill! There's a gateless gap in the wall, through which can be seen the abbey building itself (a one-story building with large windows), a few outbuildings (including a greenhouse), a pond, a few trees, and various gardens.

A mongrelman monk working in the garden spots the approaching group, claps the dirt off his hands, and hurries inside, perhaps to alert the abbot. A few other monks glance idly at the party, but otherwise pay them no mind.

Sliver
2013-07-15, 05:16 AM
Scarecrow

"So, we are here?" Crow asks, looking for Eleanor. The journey was quite dull and Scarecrow honestly hoped for a bit more resistance. He almost regretted that not only he didn't earn money in the trip, he actually gave some away.

Scarecrow motioned for Eleanor to lead the way and handle the diplomatic contact.

RCgothic
2013-07-15, 08:01 AM
Eleanor

"At last! Thank you for accompanying me. The task of seeing these people safe was laid before me alone, and I appreciate your aid - both of you - even though I could promise no reward. Come now, let's talk to the monks and see if they can give sanctuary to our wards!"

D_Man_7733
2013-07-15, 05:13 PM
Garol

With a toothy grin that's actually full of sincerety, Garol looks to Eleanor. "No thanks are necessary," Garol follows Eleanor's lead.

Malimar
2013-07-15, 10:32 PM
DM
It's true! The trip was decidedly rather less eventful than one might have been led to believe. Was it luck? Were you led to believe the countryside is more dangerous than it actually is? Did you benefit from mostly being not out at night? Or was it all of the above?

After a few moments, the abbot, flanked by simple monks, emerges from the abbey. Aside from the rather fancy mace at his hip (not all servants of a deity wield that deity's favored weapon; some have other preferences) and the rather fancier gold holy symbol around his neck, he could be mistaken for any of the other monks by his simple garb and calm demeanor.

He greets the party with, "Good evening, gentlefolk. I am called Waxter, Abbot of this humble monastery. What brings you on this pilgrimage?"

RCgothic
2013-07-16, 04:37 AM
Eleanor

I kneel before the abbot and present him the hilt of my sword, bowing my head to receive his benediction. I'm not sure if this is the right thing to do; I've never had any formal training in the ways of Numiel, though I give him devotion daily in my own way. Still, I felt I had to do something to acknowledge the authority of the abbot of my god.

"Greetings Father Abbot, in the name of Numiel most blessèd! You see before you Eleanor Savreux, itinerant servant of Numiel, and my companions Garol Drandej and Scarecrow, charitable escorts of these the liberated prisoners of the slaver Nalf. We would beg you give them sanctuary and help them to restart their shattered lives."

Malimar
2013-07-17, 07:23 PM
DM
The abbot -- a human, like much of the middle-to-high portions of the hierarchy of the church of Numiel, still based out of the rich human island of Shell -- performs a few gestures and words of benediction over Eleanor.

(Fun fact: Celestial, according to the foreword to Libris Mortis, is Latin. Or, more accurately, Latin is bastardized Celestial. Even if they're not the same language, I tend to use Latin as a stand-in for Celestial. Yes, Celestial is the national language of Romus, but for other reasons. So yes, if you're imagining the intonations of old-timey Catholic Latin Mass, that's pretty much accurate. Possibly even right down to the sign of the cross longsword.)

Then the abbot smiles, and says, "Rise, daughter of the Lord of Light. Our welcome to all of you. What our humble monastery has is open to you, of course." He turns to the mongrelman monk by his side, instructing him, "Phil, see that these freedmen are taken care of after their ordeal. I imagine some of them will have to sleep in the dining room."

As Phil the monk leads the freedpersons into the monastery, Waxter does a little math in his head. Then he says, "A ship bound for Shell should be leaving from Noodleton three days hence, with a tithe to the Archdiocese aboard. These refugees shall sail with it, and shall be safe from the reach of Nalf's depredations in the Archbishop's care." He seems to be familiar with Nalf the Prevaricator's ill reputation. "Unfortunately, unless you have hunger, or injuries or illnesses that need treating, we rather lack the resources to reward you for your kind act; I hope the spiritual sustenance of bringing so many to safety is reward enough."

(Actual reward: story XP, for successfully bringing the freedpersons to safety! Let's say... 500 XP to each of you.)

RCgothic
2013-07-18, 04:12 AM
Eleanor

I get back to my feet and smile."By all accounts father, it should you who should be compensated, though I too have few expendable resources to share. Perhaps there is something I can do though. Did you get any leads on the murderers of Prior Trakis? I will keep an eye open for them when we return to Endeesey."

I accept any hospitality that may be going, and spend some time chatting idly to various monks before we make ready to return to the adventurer's guild in Endeesey.

Unless anyone has any objections, I'm willing to skip back to the adventurer's guild now.

Malimar
2013-07-18, 11:10 PM
DM
Abbot Waxter smiles sagely. "As a matter of fact, we did have a paladin through here just the other day, who informed us that one of the elves was her father, one Aramil Silverleaf. He can be recognized by the scar over one eye. In fact, if you are headed back to Endeesy, could you add this new information to the bounty posted at the Adventurer's Guild?" Giving information to the competition! Obviously all the abbot cares about is that the bounty gets done, and he doesn't much care by whom.

Then it's back to Endeesy! The trip back is rather quicker than the trip out; they can move at a quicker pace with fewer people slowing them down, and don't have to worry so much about how to eat and where to camp.

It's still the better part of a day's journey back, whether they go west (by way of Furroway, Noodleton, and the Serpent Pass) or east (the way they came).

But as they travel (in whichever direction) this time, the party comes across an enormous human-sized ant noodling along across the road. It eyes them suspiciously.

RCgothic
2013-07-19, 02:23 AM
Eleanor

I become wary the moment I spot the ant, drawing my lance from its holster on Rascasse's saddle. I'm conflicted - I don't want to cause unnecessary harm, but this creature might be a threat to travellers on this road.

"Begone, ant!" I yell as if it could possibly understand me. I draw myself up into what I hope it should understand as a threat posture. I'm pretty sure I look quite imposing on Rascasse.

Intimidate [+5,+4 Larger on Rascasses][roll0]

Sliver
2013-07-19, 11:32 AM
Scarecrow

Scarecrow votes to take the direct route back, as it should be easier without the inexperienced freedpeople.

ANT!

Scarecrow readies to fire off a mouthful of fire as soon as Eleanor's attempts to diplomacy an ant fail.

Ready action to fire off:

[roll0] fire, DC 15 reflex halves.
[roll1] rounds of entangled.

[roll2] Initiative

D_Man_7733
2013-07-19, 09:49 PM
Garol

Drawing his light crossbow and scimitar, Garol smiles at the possible fight, causing a feeling of confidence in their reaction time and co-ordination.

** All allies (Scarecrow, Eleanor, Garol) get a +1 morale bonus to initiative and dexterity based skill checks**
[roll0] (+2 = dex, +4 = Improved init, +1 = morale boost)

Malimar
2013-07-20, 03:21 PM
DM
I was greatly amused, a few years ago, when I read that scientists had identified the twelve or so neurons that fruit flies use for memory. As someone who stores his memories in a number of billions of neurons, this astounded me.

What I'm saying is that insect brains are simple. Super-simple. If "purely instinct-based automaton" describes anything, it describes insects.

And even though giant insects are somewhat scaled up, and you might assume they have rather more neurons than regular-sized insects, that assumption would apparently be wrong. Creatures in D&D might not store their minds in their neurons at all; the existence of resurrection spells and visitable afterlifes certainly imply some sort of dualism. And anyway giant insects already disobey physical square-cube laws, there's no reason to expect them to adhere to any other rules of biology. Which is to say: if you took an ant and scaled it up on Earth, you'd have to rebuild it from the ground up, starting with the support armature and definitely doing the brain at some point. But in D&D, you scale an ant up, you get a super-sized ant, because a wizard did it. It's magic, so this creature is identical to a regular ant in every respect other than size. (Unlike, say, a Formian, which is scaled up in intelligence as well as size.)

Which is to say, this ant, like a regular ant, is an automaton functioning primarily on pheromonal cues. All of which is to say, it is unintelligent vermin.

To wit: its reaction to Eleanor's threatening is to stick its head up in the air, as ants do, and sniff around to try to figure out if the cloud of ambient pheremones and other airborne particles indicate whether these newcomers are or are not a threat to the colony that must be eliminated.

It apparently does judge them to be a threat, because it advances menacingly upon them (as ants do), advancing menacingly upon... well, Scarecrow just smells like environment, and Garol just smells like confidence, so: Eleanor and Rascasse, who smell like threat!

But then it eats a faceful of Scarecrow's fire! It is on fire now, and entangled with ropes of flame.

Order of initiative is now something like: the ant, Garol, Eleanor, Scarecrow.

,,,EEG,,,
,,,EES,,,
,,,,,a.,,

, - grass
. - road
E - Eleanor on Rascasse
G - Garol
S - Scarecrow

RCgothic
2013-07-20, 04:38 PM
Eleanor

"Looks like it's a threat after all! Attack!" I lower my lance and spur Rascasse into a charge.

Rascasse has a full round action to Charge.

Rascasse Attack:[+6 Hoof {+3BAB, +4Str, -1Size}, +2 Charge][roll0]
Rascasse Damage: [roll1]

Eleanor Ride Check to also attack DC10: [roll2]
Eleanor Attack: [+4 lance, +1 High Ground, +2 Charge][roll3]
Eleanor Damage: [roll4]

D_Man_7733
2013-07-20, 05:16 PM
**Interesting read, about the fruit fly and stuff**

Garol

Seeing the ant approach Garol takes a shot with his crossbow, trying to look confident and awesome as he does so, which should be easy because he's firing one handed, and even missing should still look cool, before dropping it and moving up beside Scarecrow, scimitar at the ready.

Attack: [roll0] (+2 dex, -2 one-handed, -8 off-hand)

If crit: Attack: [roll2]
bonus damage: [roll3]

Sliver
2013-07-21, 12:34 AM
Scarecrow

Knowing that his allies are immune to his breath of fire, Scarecrow doesn't bother considering his positioning and simply lets out another wave of fire to wash over the ant.

[roll0] Entangled, 1 round remaining
[roll1]
[roll2] Rounds of entangled.

Malimar
2013-07-21, 05:36 PM
DM
The ant, confused by being on fire... readies an action!

Garol attempts a feat of great tricksiness, a one-handed pew-pew-pew, and looks super-confident and super-awesome as he muddles it up completely. Not only does he entirely miss the giant ant, but when he tosses his crossbow aside like a boss, there's an audible snap-ktwang as it hits a rock and breaks into several pieces. Oops.

Then Eleanor charges the burning ant on her horse, all violence and thunder, but her lance and Rascasse's hooves all bounce harmlessly off the ant's hard, chitinous exoskeleton (one thing that has been scaled up in thickness).

But the ant counterattacks, biting at Rascasse's legs! It just barely hits the mare for 4 damage. Rascasse is a size category bigger than the ant, not a size category smaller, so it fails to establish a grip with its oversized pincers.

Then Scarecrow emits another burst of flame, renewing the fiery entanglement and burning the creature some more! It is beginning to look a little crispy.

,,,..SG,,
,,,EE.,,,
,,,EE..,,
,,,,,a.,,
, - grass
. - road
E - Eleanor on Rascasse
G - Garol
S - Scarecrow

RCgothic
2013-07-22, 02:12 AM
Eleanor

I tut in annoyance at the missed joust. I haven't had much opportunity to practice with the weapon before, and it shows. I urge Rascasse to open some distance between us and the ant so that I can get another attempt in.

Withdraw, 70ft west or south.

Sliver
2013-07-22, 02:22 AM
Scarecrow continues to engulf the ant in roasting fire.

[roll0] First entangle over.
[roll1] 1 round entangle

[roll2] DC15 half
[roll3] rounds of entangle

D_Man_7733
2013-07-22, 03:15 AM
Garol AC after charge: 15

Taking up his scimitar in two hands, Garol winces at the broken crossbow and charges at the ant, hacking at it as best he can while staying out of the way of the horse and Eleanor.

Attack: [roll0] Crits on 25-27

if crit: [roll2]
Bonus damage: [roll3]

Malimar
2013-07-22, 11:48 AM
DM
Garol rushes the ant! He hacks at its head with his scimitar, hacking off an antenna and injuring its head pretty severely!

The giant ant retaliates, trying to bite Garol, but he catches its jaws on his shield! Then the ant slowly crumples to the ground, its jaws still firmly clamped onto the shield. (Garol brought it down to 0hp; it wasn't smart enough to know to run away at that point.)

The ant continues to burn, then smoulder, for awhile. You gain 200 experience each. (By my calculations, you should all be level 2 after a rest.)

The rest of the trip back to Endeesy passes relatively uneventfully, the only creatures out are farmers and sheep and little birds. No more giant ants.

,,,..S,,,
,,,EE.,,,
,,,EE.G,,
,,,,,*.,,
, - grass
. - road
E - Eleanor on Rascasse
G - Garol
S - Scarecrow

D_Man_7733
2013-07-22, 05:51 PM
Garol

Looking over the crumpled remains of his trusty crossbow, "Guess I'll need to get a replacement when we get back". Putting his scimitar away, Garol continues on the path to Endeesy with his companions.

Malimar
2013-07-22, 08:30 PM
And yes, you return safely to Endeesy, where you are free to purchase new equipment, rest for the night (or however many nights you choose), and level up.

RCgothic
2013-07-23, 12:00 PM
Eleanor

After getting making sure Rascasse is stabled properly, a decent meal and a good night's sleep, I head over to the adventurer's guild to update the Abbot's bounty and to see if there are any new ones.

Malimar
2013-07-23, 12:49 PM
Eleanor updates one of the bounties, and looks at the others!

Currently posted on the corkboard in the Adventurer's Guild, the glorified tavern near the heart of the wretched hive of scum and villainy that is Endeesy, there is a map:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-ACPbruhXdSU/T_zRahw9h3I/AAAAAAAAAD8/FW_dFqwjYcc/s1600/gusmap.gif
(the map is labeled "PLEASE DO NOT TAKE THIS MAP, IT IS PROVIDED AS A COURTESY TO ALL OUR CUSTOMERS")

...and a number of notes (in no particular order; spoilers'd only because they take up a lot of text space):

The king desires, to be brought before him for marriage, the most beautiful woman to be found in the all the reaches of the cosmos, whomsoever she may be.
The reward to any man who brings such a woman to the King shall earn the eternal gratitude of the kingdom and ten thousand platinum coins, or some equivalent favour.
Addendum from the Dowager Queen:
This woman must additionally be clever, competent, capable of defending herself in battle, and should preferably bring an alliance to some powerful nation.
If these conditions are met, the queen will see to it that he who completes this task shall have his greatest desire fulfilled to the greatest extent of possibility.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6020/5940730603_27740416c3_b.jpg

Sir Peph of the Kingsguard offers a bounty to any who would explore the ruins of Mat~sya and the Disreputable City on the slopes of Mount Dis. Somewhere, deep within the ruins, is rumoured to lie the tomb of Gus Dreadworm, bloodthirsty pirate king of legend.
Return with specific instructions, or preferably a map, and Sir Peph will part with his +1 cutlass and ten thousand gold.

Sir Randolph of the Kingsguard offers the following standing bounties:
1,000 gold for the head or plate and horns of a brass dragon.
1,500 gold for the head or horns and frill of a silver dragon.
2,000 gold for the head or horns of a copper dragon.
2,500 gold for the head or crest of a bronze dragon.
7,500 gold for the head or barbels of a gold dragon.
Juvenile or younger dragons shall earn half the listed bounty, while old and older dragons shall earn twice the listed bounty.
Additionally:
500 gold for the head of a metallic half-dragon of any race.
250 gold for the head of an individual of any race partially descended from a metallic dragon.
750 gold for the head of any Dragonborn of Bahamut, who are always metallic.
Moreover:
2,500 gold for a live chromatic half-dragon individual of any race.
1,250 gold for a live individual of any race partially descended from a chromatic dragon.

As befits a state of war between two nations, the king offers a standing bounty for the destruction, capture, or other removal from engineer hands, of any engineer-controlled submarine.
This shall earn a captain a letter of marque and official status as a privateer for the kingdom of Gus, with all the rights and responsibilities due thereto. Additionally, a reward of 1,500 platinum coins per submarine shall be granted.
Additionally, engineers, sea- or war-forged, or githzerai, captured while working for or with the engineer nation against Gus, shall earn a bounty of 25 platinum coins per captive.
The heads of engineers, sea- or war-forged, or githzerai, killed while working for or with the engineer nation against Gus, shall earn a bounty of 10 platinum coins per head.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6014/5940730773_9752efdb9f_b.jpg

As many may already be aware, the countryside has been plagued by foul and fiendish beasts, issuing forth from the caves and mines of Mount Dis. As a protector of the Realm, I feel it my duty to investigate, but other duties keep me occupied between N.D.C. and the Omorashi border. As such, I issue the following bounties:
> For concrete, verifiable information regarding the ultimate source of the infestation: 2,500 gold
> For a detailed map leading from the surface to the ultimate source of the infestation: 5,000 gold
> For the temporary or permanent stoppage of the infestation, by any means: 50,000 gold
Bounty posted by Sir Nakazawa of the Kingsguard

Sir Bill of the Kingsguard seeks a worthy mount:
Some flying beast,
alive and unharmed,
large enough to comfortably carry a full-grown man,
young and intelligent enough to tame,
healthy enough to live for quite some time
The quality of the beast shall determine the amount of the reward.

Seeking the following effects, in any form – spell, scroll, wand, wish or limited wish, or miscellaneous:
Animate Object and Permanency
Stone to Flesh
Awaken Construct
See Pumayyaton the Sculptor. Rewards include a powerful elephant statuette, a taciturn yet loyal Dread Guard, a snarky yet effective sword, or elegant custom-crafted statuary.

GLADIATORS WANTED
SEVEN DAYS A WEEK
PROVE YOUR METTLE
EARN FABULOUS PRIZES
ENTERTAIN THE CROWD
NO ENTRY FEE

CREATURES WANTED
WE NEED LIVE, DANGEROUS BEASTS
TO CHALLENGE ENTRANTS IN THE ARENA
REWARD FOR EACH MONSTER

REWARD:
Information sought leading to the whereabouts of a band of evil adventurers who broke into the monastery on Perch Hill, terrorized the monks, and murdered Prior Trakis, a paladin of the faith. See Abbot Waxter at the Monastery with any information.
Be on the lookout for a group consisting of:
> an orc-descended man, in possession of a horse
> an engineer man
> an Omorashi human woman
> an elf by the name of Aramil Silverleaf, with a scar over one eye
> two additional human or elf men
Be warned: these individuals are armed and extremely dangerous. They may be in league with an evil erinyes devil – this creature is very powerful and should not be engaged without proper training. They may also be in possession of copies of several volumes of the Evil Encyclopedia of Evil – if found, these books should not be read and may be returned to the Monastery for an additional reward.
Authorized by Numiel’s Archbishop of Shell, Jov Sauart

Lord Yuz-Perry, First Viscount Noodleton, seeks Aid for his Township:
The Don’t Drink This River, also called the Poison River, has been foul and fetid since the Colonization of Gus, hence the River’s Name. However, in the past few Months, the Horribleness has seen a marked Increase. A Man can no longer venture within a Mile of the River without becoming nauseated. Crops have begun to wither and die on the Stalk. Even Wells accessing Groundwater far from the River have become tainted and unpotable. Moreover, perhaps unrelatedly, Serfs and their Livestock have begun to vanish from their Fields, even in broad Daylight. (warning: wrackspawn demons)
Anyone who can venture to the Source of the River and render its Water fit for Consumption shall earn the undying Gratitude of the House of Yuz-Perry, as well as a Grant of Land and may choose among the Viscount’s many Daughters and Sons for their Hand in Marriage.
The King endorses this undertaking, and has ordered one thousand platinum coins laid in escrow, to be awarded to whomsoever achieves this task to the satisfaction of the Viscount Noodleton.

Interested parties seek copies of any volumes from the Evil Encyclopedia of Evil. Bring these documents to the Cathedral of Quasxthe; ask for Viblet Kewne. The reward shall be 1,000 gold pieces per volume.

The proprietors of the Tiv-Beckett Cold-Iron Mine seek adventurers to clean out the primary mine system, which remains infested with monstrously huge centipedes and other vermin. The source of these creatures has been found and eliminated, but some vermin remain to terrorize our workers.

We shall pay
one copper piece for the remains of any centipede of less than 2’ length;
one silver piece for the remains of any centipede between 2’ and 8’ length;
one gold piece for the remains of any centipede of greater than 8’ length.

Additionally, we have struck ancient ruins of an underground civilization in our digging. We offer no reward for exploring these ruins, but adventurous types may choose to investigate nonetheless.

Becoming a Member of the Adventurer’s Guild carries a flat fee of 25gp. Among other benefits, Members get a 50% discount on rooms, food, and drinks at the Guild, and may request rescue party insurance for each mission they undertake.

A member of the Adventurer’s Guild may become a Journeyman if he finds and returns one of the five Journeyman’s Keys, hidden somewhere in the caves and dungeons of Mount Dis. Among other benefits, Journeymen get free room and food at the Guild, and receive a 10% discount at participating adventurer supply stores.

A Journeyman may become a Guild Master upon completion of some special quest for the Guild Masters. Among other benefits, the discount at participating adventurer supply stores increases to 20% for a Master.

Members of all levels must pay dues of 5gp per month.

Levethixi, vorastrixi, vur lyrik xiekivi svaust klae wer suiaerl auneli, usv tikilvi sweekmonir ekess xkhat mishun: siofme voranir ekess wer hertan di hewi. Drekim vin kamati persvek wer hertan ui aaiovew aurix vur asildk aurix rinovup welun. Nezcaubolic re vi cuaili sva wer hertan, zadl ekess shio yorir ini hertan ankini, zadl ekess wer kivan korshim ihk tija kirmipri, vur zadl ekess kemir vur vdri cuailiri.

(Translation for characters who can read Draconic:Wizards, Sorcerers, and other Wielders of the arcane Arts, or any One seeking to become Such: consider joining the Mage’s Guild. Apprenticeship in the Guild is 50gp plus 10gp per Month. Benefits include a Room at the Guild, Access to all Lectures by Guild Teachers, Access to the vending Machine for material Components, and Access to Training and Meditation Rooms.)

Legend holds that, buried somewhere west of Serpent Pass, lie the mortal remains of the ancient, pre-Inundation dwarven adventuring party led by Savzad the Bard-Queen, founder of the ancient dwarven nation which once occupied this land. Supposedly, the tombs grant great benefits to those they find worthy.

Sir Fred and Sir Gilbert of the Kingsguard offer a handsome reward: locate the tombs of Savzad, Georpe the mage, Fesus the priest, Jumas the burglar, Kheseus the hunter, and Faucon the fighting man. Provide detailed maps and instructions for finding the tombs and bypassing their guardians. You may reap the rewards of the tombs yourselves, and we will pay 1000 gold for the location and description of each tomb.
Sir Winden of the Kingsguard seeks a live sample of Green Slime. He suggests the sample be placed within a glass flask (as it will eat through almost any other material) and covered with thick fabric, as sunlight will kill it.

He also seeks the flesh of a recently-slain Violet Fungus for his curative experiments. It is worth twice its weight in copper coins to Sir Winden, or 1 gold piece per pound. The average Violet Mushroom may contain upwards of 150 pounds of flesh.

Lastly, Sir Winden requests the prompt delivery of one or more live Dire Maggots, to combat the serious infections of Oobort’s Necrosis of the Skin contracted by several members of the King’s staff. He will pay 250 gold per maggot.

A royal quarantine has been imposed upon the village of Doublebridge, for reason of a horrible infestation of dangerous undead monsters. The bridges at Doublebridge have been demolished. All travelers intending to cross the Bitey River are required to detour to the bridge at Riverford.

Additionally, any adventurer or group of adventurers who devises a successful method to exterminates the undead menace of Doublebridge shall receive a reward from the Crown on the order of one thousand platinum coins.
ADVENTURERS WANTED!
Brave Souls needed to help recover one of our fallen brothers who was injured in the Tiv-Beckett mines. We lost contact with him on a routine scouting mission and we have not yet been able to determine whether or not he is still alive. The individual in question is a seaforged calling himself Titan. He was badly damaged in combat, and will have a very hard time moving around. Ask any questions of the barkeep at the Adventurer's Guild; he'll point you in the correct direction. Report back to Sir Bucket the Bold upon completion.

Compensation: 1200 Gold Pieces and consideration for future assignments

The last one for sure is new. Most of the others are not.

RCgothic
2013-07-23, 01:56 PM
Eleanor

There are a few there that catch my eye. Obviously I'm keen to investigate the murder of Brother Trakis for the abbot. I'd also be interested in mapping the tombs of past adventurers or the rescue mission for Titan.

I ask at the desk for more information about the rescue mission - after all, if we do accept that one then urgency will be key. If we don't, then perhaps I can spend a few days researching the other missions before deciding on a course of action.

I decide to discuss the matter with the others over breakfast.

Sliver
2013-07-24, 02:32 PM
Scarecrow

Scarecrow stayed at the adventuring guild and meditated quietly until a familiar face showed up. "I'm afraid I'm too young and frail to venture into the wild on my own, but I will gladly offer my assistance on whichever quest you choose. I'll admit that the tombs interest me the most... But I feel our group may be too small for the moment. Perhaps we could check out the combatants at the arena while waiting for potential allies, or even find some out there?"

D_Man_7733
2013-07-24, 04:02 PM
Garol

Taking a seat with the rest of the group to discuss Garol waits for Scarecrow to finish before beginning. "I agree, we may be a little short handed, searching for an additional companion would not go astray. But as it is a rescue mission it may be better if we were to hurry and hope to find someone on the way." Looking around Garol questions the group, "Did we ever find out what those vials of gold were? I'll need to pick up a replacement crossbow before we head out, so if we need to, we can find someone who can tell us then." Adjusting his armour as he looks around the room, Garol surveys for potentials.

Malimar
2013-07-24, 09:02 PM
Bartender

The bartender at the Adventurer's Guild -- picture the barkeep from the cantina at Mos Eisley, except more moustachey any male bartender in fiction ever, especially any "retired adventurer" bartender -- nods as he serves up a drink for Eleanor. "Well, I don't know about 'urgency'. Warforged don't need food or water, and probably the centipedes won't want to eat him. He could be safe for awhile." (Not everybody believes the engineers when they say the seaforged were created for underwater mining -- "warforged" is kind of a light slur, directed more at the engineers than at the *forged themselves.)

"Bucket's an enemy of the state, right? One of the adventurers the first King Terek foiled to get his position. Tiv-Beckett don't want any trouble with the king, else Bucket would go in and rescue the guy himself, I figure. If you've got a more loyalist bent, you might could turn Titan in for the ten plat instead." A twelfth the reward for being loyal to the corrupt government of Endeesy? Hardly any adventuring team is likely to swing that way. If they've got competition from other adventurers, it probably won't be people trying to kill Titan. (The bartender probably only brings it up as revenge on Sir Bucket the Bold for specifically mentioning him as an information source in the note. Everybody knows the barkeep is the best information source in the world, you don't have to spell it out.)

RCgothic
2013-07-25, 03:01 AM
Eleanor

"Apparently there is no rush for the rescue mission - Titan can likely fend for himself for a little while." I say, as I tuck into my breakfast fruit. I think it might be a grapefruit, but I'm not altogether sure. Oh well, it's tasty enough anyway!

"Perhaps fighting at the arena has merit, as long as it's not needlessly dangerous. We could hone our skills whilst looking for others to join us on our next quest. We should enquire from the gropagas at the temple of Inglip."

I pause while I concentrate on fishing a last reluctant morsel out of the fruit, before continuing.

"I admit that it wouldn't sit well with me to go tomb mapping whilst there is an intelligent being awaiting rescue, though perhaps that is a discussion for when we have expanded our little group."

Sliver
2013-07-25, 06:24 AM
Scarecrow

Scarecrow looks at Eleanor for a moment. "You feel a lot of empathy for others... That seems to be a trait that doesn't help with one's sleeping habits." Then he pauses. "I haven't slept for a while..."

Waiting for Eleanor to finish, Scarecrow stands up and waits for her to lead to the temple. The arena awaited them.

Malimar
2013-07-25, 11:53 PM
As it happens, as the party is reconvening and discussing their next step, there does happen to be another adventurer in the Adventurer's Guild: the cleanest-smelling beardy dwarf (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=321802) you ever did see, sitting with his big dog (the Adventurer's Guild does allow animal companions and familiars inside, of course -- what would an adventuring party be without at least one pet?). (Well, engineer, but few engineers emphasize the dwarven part of their heritage so much, and there doesn't appear to be a speck of metal on him, so yes, "dwarf" is probably the appropriate term.)

Doldor, meanwhile, sees: a gallant-looking human woman (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=406613) eating a might-be-a-grapefruit; a big yet civilized-looking (well, as civilized as anybody in this city looks, anyway) half-orc man (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=420146) in good steel; and what appears to be a seaforged (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=417566), crafted by the engineers, but created with the most draconic cast and mien of any humanoid construct, clearly a custom job.

RCgothic
2013-07-26, 04:31 AM
Eleanor

"Lack of sleep is only a problem if you feel you need to." I reassure scarecrow. "I only find I have trouble if I haven't done good to the best of my ability."

I stand when scarecrow stands and - unaware of the new arrival - go back to the barkeep to let him know that we're recruiting and that we're heading to the Temple of Inglip to enquire about fighting in the arena.

RaggedAngel
2013-07-26, 11:59 AM
Doldor

Doldor had been on the road for a while, and while nature always provided from him it was occasionally nice to have a roof over his head. Though he would never admit it, he always felt a little more comfortable indoors or under heavy tree cover than when there was nothing but sky overhead; an unfortunate remnant of his Engineer heritage, he was sure.

He got up with the sun, as always, and spent some time communing with Brutus; as well as communing with some breakfast. He listened quietly as the others entered the room and had their coversation; not really meaning to eavesdrop, but unable to ignore them.

At the first longer lull in the conversation, he cleared his throat and spoke up, his voice deep and calm. "I don't want to interrupt, but I heard mention that you were shorthanded. As it stands, I have two hands, and Brutus here probably counts for one more. Between getting new armor for the dog and myself, I'm running a little low on gold, and while nature always provides, I feel no need to rely on her any more than I have to. If you folk are going to be going for some bounties, I'd be happy to tag along if you'll have me. I can swing a club and heal as well as anyone, and Brutus is worth his weight in gold."

He looks at each of you, a little unsure. "Does that sound like a good proposition, or did you three have different plans in mind?"

Sliver
2013-07-26, 12:11 PM
Scarecrow

The draconic warforged examines the Engineer for a moment and turns Eleanor. "How convenient, don't you think?" Turning back to Doldor, Scarecrow reaches to shake his hand. "I'm Scarecrow, a young..." Scarecrow lowers his voice after looking around. "A young Adamantine dragon. There is a reward for the head of my kind, but I hope you rather have an ally than the gold. I wouldn't like to set on fire a nice looking duo such as yourselves."

"Now, we haven't discussed any official party leader," Scarecrow continues, not speaking so quietly now. But so far it seems that the three of us have the inclination of sticking together. Eleanor was the one to gather us up at the first place, even if our purses ended up lighter from that quest... I'm sure her generous nature won't continue to come between us and our income, so..." He turns to Eleanor. "What do you say, is he in?"

RCgothic
2013-07-26, 12:43 PM
Eleanor

I return from the bar in time to catch only the last part of that conversation, but I very much approved of the black Dragonhide armor - signifying the end of a beast very much opposed to my cause - and am quick to proffer a hand in greeting.

"I don't see why not! As you may have gathered, my name is Eleanor, servant of Numiel."

I indicate the seaforged: "This is Scarecrow."

I point to the marshall: "And this is Garol. We thought this morning we would test ourselves and train in the arena, and then later take on one of the bounties from the board. Does that sounds good to you?"

RaggedAngel
2013-07-26, 12:48 PM
Doldor

The stout dwarf grins broadly, holding out his hand to shake. "I'm happy that you think I'm up to snuff, Eleanor. And it's good to meet both of you, Scarecrow and Garol. My name is Doldor Wildheart, and this is my friend and companion Brutus. Careful what you say around him, he's smarter than he looks." Brutus snorts, apparently annoyed at the remark. Doldor grins even more broadly.

"A little arena fighting does sound like a good way to begin the day; it's been a little too long since my last scruff, and it isn't healthy to go too long without working up a good combat rush. When will we be off?"

RCgothic
2013-07-26, 12:54 PM
Eleanor

I hoisk my backpack up from where it had been sitting under the table until it's slung from one shoulder.

"We were thinking of heading over right now, if you're ready?"

RaggedAngel
2013-07-26, 02:38 PM
Doldor

Doldor stands, putting on his own pack and scratching Brutus behind the ears. "I'm ready as well. Now, while we're on our way, can I ask what you three can do in a fight? Not that I don't think you'll be plenty tough, I'm just fond of particulars when I can get them. I'm not an especially flashy fighter myself, but I can swing my club pretty hard when need be, and I can whistle up a few of nature's best to fight beside me for a little while."

Sliver
2013-07-26, 02:42 PM
Scarecrow

"I burn." Scarecrow says. That's enough.

RCgothic
2013-07-26, 04:38 PM
Eleanor

"My skill is with the blade and bow. I can fight on foot or on horseback just as easily."

Malimar
2013-07-26, 05:32 PM
DM
So the newly-enlarged party is heading to the Temple of Inglip and Arena Complex, getting acquainted with one another as they go!

(Why does the Temple of Inglip run an arena? One presumes the High Gropaga found a message along the lines of "BUILD ARENA" in his tea leaves one morning or something, and so it was done. With the followers of Inglip, there is no "why", there is only the inscrutable exhortations of their god.)

This complex has one of the larger footprints of the buildings in the city, with grand steps up to the front of the temple. But the interesting part to the party is the arena, out behind the temple, a grand amphitheatre. The field is some 100 by 70 feet, surrounded by stadium seating. There are a few dozen spectators on the stands, booing a lone mongrelfolk gladiator attempting (poorly) to wrestle a wolf with his bare hands.

RaggedAngel
2013-07-26, 10:46 PM
Doldor

Doldor sighs when he sees the current arena fight, looking down to Brutus as he shakes his head. "Yet another idiot that thinks he can outpower a wolf in close combat. Complete idiocy. A wolf can break bone through sheer muscle power, and that's ignoring its jaws. I hope they pull the mongrel out of there before he dies, so that he can spread what he's learned here to others."

RCgothic
2013-07-27, 04:46 AM
Eleanor

I share Doldor's dismay at the sorry scene, shaking my head.

"Let's find whoever's in charge here, then we'll see if we can't put on a better display."

Sliver
2013-07-27, 12:02 PM
Scarecrow

"We all have to start somewhere... Not everyone can be fortunate to be born as a holy incarnation of fire and metal." Scarecrow says as he follows Eleanor's lead.

Malimar
2013-07-27, 12:28 PM
DM
Eventually, the mongrelman in the arena flails his arms and yells something about giving up, and gropagas of Inglip hurry out and corral the wolf back through one of the four big double doors leading into the arena floor.

The party tracks down somebody who looks like they're in charge, or at least like they know what they're doing. No sooner do they mention wishing to compete than they're presented with a clipboard, instructed to sign their names, and then led down through a maze of corridors, locker rooms, and cages of all manner of strange creatures.

Then they're ushered up a ramp, and out through the doors, onto the arena floor!

Then a booming voice fills the stadium! The voice says, "There are eight rounds. After each successful round, you will have the option to receive a reward or to continue on to the next, more difficult round, and the prospect of an even greater reward! Teams of up to six may compete, but the reward will be divided evenly amongst all winning participants. Any combatant may at any time forfeit any fight and all winnings. A team is only defeated if all its participants have forfeited or been defeated. If you should happen to die, you shall recieve no reward but to party eternally in the halls of Inglip. Do you understand?"

=====p========p=====
==p=====####pp======
===######╪╪######=p=
==##............##p=
p=#..............#==
==#..............#==
=p#..............#p=
==#..............#==
==#..............#=p
=p#..............#==
==#..............#p=
=##..............##=
=#╪......ES......╪#=
=#╪......DG......╪#=
=##......b.......##=
p=#..............#p=
==#..............#==
==#..............#==
==#..............#=p
p=#..............#==
==#..............#==
=p#..............#==
==##............##p=
===######╪╪######===
=p======####=pp=====
=====p============p=
# = wall
= = stadium seating
p = spectator
╪ = door
. = sand
E = Eleanor
S = Scarecrow
G = Garol
D = Doldor
b = Brutus the dog

Sliver
2013-07-27, 12:33 PM
Scarecrow

"Are there any rules and restrictions?" Crow asks. "Will we be provided with between battles healing?"

RCgothic
2013-07-27, 12:35 PM
Eleanor

"This is all a bit more sudden than I was expecting..." I say as I draw my glaive and prepare for combat.

1 Crusader's strike - Withheld
2 Vanguard strike
3 Charging minotaur - Withheld
4 Stone Bones
5 Douse The Flames

Iron Guard's Glare Stance ON. If an enemy Eleanor threatens attacks an ally it takes -4 to its roll.

RaggedAngel
2013-07-27, 01:30 PM
Doldor

The dwarven druid considers enchanting his club, then decides against if; if he can't make it through the first round without magic, there isn't much hope for later rounds. "I can provide healing, though if they'd do it for free I wouldn't complain. I'm going to assume our strategy is 'hit them hard and fast' unless told otherwise." He draws his finely crafted club, whipping it through the air once or twice and adjusting his shield. Beside him, his large and armored hound placidly scans the arena.

Sliver
2013-07-27, 01:36 PM
Scarecrow

"Your healing might be less useful for me..." Scarecrow says as he uses his magic on the team.

Endure Elements + Immunity to my Breath weapon.

D_Man_7733
2013-07-27, 04:36 PM
Garol HP: 16 AC: 19
Auras: +1 initiative/dex based skills
+1 Fast healing if you fall to or below half HP

Agreeing with his companions Garol signs the clipboard and then follows his allies into the arena, double checking his shield to make sure it is on properly, "Remember, the battle begins even before the first move is made."

Initiative: [roll0]

Malimar
2013-07-27, 06:30 PM
DM
The voice declares, "No healing except what you can provide for yourselves! The first round has no restrictions or conditions, but subsequent rounds might, for the crowd's entertainment!" A few of the scattered spectators cheer a little. They do like being entertained.

"The first foes you shall face are these creatures we picked up in the Tiv-Beckett mines: two GIANT CENTIPEDES"!

The doors to the north and south open, emit monstrous, chittering, human-sized red centipedes, their red carapaces glinting in the sun. The creatures wave their toxignaths in the air, sensing prey.

Initiative order is Garol, Doldor, Scarecrow, the centipedes, Brutus, Eleanor. No need to post in that order, post in any order you want; that's just the order in which your actions will be adjudicated.

=====p========p=====
==p=====####pp======
===######╪╪######=p=
==##.....c......##p=
p=#..............#==
==#..............#==
=p#..............#p=
==#..............#==
==#..............#=p
=p#..............#==
==#..............#p=
=##..............##=
=#╪......ES......╪#=
=#╪......DG......╪#=
=##......b.......##=
p=#..............#p=
==#..............#==
==#..............#==
==#..............#=p
p=#..............#==
==#..............#==
=p#..............#==
==##......c.....##p=
===######╪╪######===
=p======####=pp=====
=====p============p=
# - wall
= - stadium seating
p - spectator
╪ - door
. - sand
E - Eleanor
S - Scarecrow
G - Garol
D - Doldor
b - Brutus the dog
c - centipede

D_Man_7733
2013-07-27, 07:38 PM
Garol AC: 19 HP: 16/16
Active Auras (all allies out to 60ft): +1 initiative/dex based skills

Readying his shield Garol waits for the centipedes to come to them, "I'll take the one to the south. Stay close to me, I can only assist you out to a certain point."

Ready action to attack the centipede with scimitar if it gets close enough.
Attack: [roll0] crit on 22-24

Sliver
2013-07-27, 10:11 PM
Scarecrow

Scarecrow nods at Doldor and moves forward, firing away.

I believe the northern centipede is 45ft away so move 15ft north and fire a line of entangling fire.

[roll0] DC15 ref for half
[roll1] rounds of entangled

AC: 25
HP: 24/24

RaggedAngel
2013-07-27, 10:18 PM
Doldor

Doldor faces to the south as well, and Brutus follows suit. The dwarf seems unimpressed, and he rolls his club in his hand, feeling its heft. "These bugs may be big, but they squish just as easily as their smaller kin. We should just kill them and be done with it."

With that, he charges towards the southern centipede, bringing his club down on its exoskeleton with a shout of battle.

Doldor Wildheart (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=321802)
Male Neutral Good Dwarf Druid, Level 1, Init +1, HP / , Speed 20ft.
AC 18, Touch 11, Flat-footed 17, Fort +5, Ref +1, Will +5, Base Attack Bonus +0
Club +2 (1d6+2, x2)
Dragonhide Breastplate, Darkwood Heavy Shield (+5 Armor, +2 Shield, +1 Dex)
Abilities Str 14, Dex 12, Con 16, Int 10, Wis 16, Cha 8
Condition None

Charge attack: [roll0] EDIT- It should be flatfooted, so this should hopefully hit.

His AC is 16 until next turn.

RCgothic
2013-07-28, 04:39 AM
Eleanor

"What Doldor said! Let's finish this quickly!", I agree, as raise my glaive and move to confront the northern centipede!

If I can, I'll charge, stopping 10ft away. That requires it be a minimum of 20ft away. If not, I'll either move normally or take a 5ft step to put it with reach of my glaive.

Attack (+2 if charging): [roll0]

AC: 17,-2 if charging.
AC (Flatfooted): 16

Malimar
2013-07-28, 01:12 PM
DM
Garol readies an attack!

Doldor charges the southern centipede, and does indeed hit it, his club smashing through chitin with a satisfying crunch! The centipede, twitching, curls up, defeated.

Scarecrow advances on the northern centipede, and breathes fire on it! It... fails its reflex save, and is entangled with bands of fire!

The northern centipede is a bit too far away to get to Scarecrow while entangled, and it can't charge while entangled, so it just skitters up to him, preparing to attack if it gets another round!

The creature is just barely far enough away to charge! Eleanor's glaive whacks off the creature's front several pairs of legs and digs deep into its underbelly, and it, too, collapses, twitching. More ichor stains the already blood-and-ichor-stained sand!

=====p========p=====
==p=====####pp======
===######╪╪######=p=
==##............##p=
p=#..............#==
==#..............#==
=p#..............#p=
==#..............#==
==#......*.......#=p
=p#.......S......#==
==#......E.......#p=
=##..............##=
=#╪..............╪#=
=#╪.......G......╪#=
=##......b.......##=
p=#..............#p=
==#..............#==
==#..............#==
==#..............#=p
p=#..............#==
==#..............#==
=p#.......D......#==
==##......*.....##p=
===######╪╪######===
=p======####=pp=====
=====p============p=
# - wall
= - stadium seating
p - spectator
╪ - door
. - sand
E - Eleanor
S - Scarecrow
G - Garol
D - Doldor
b - Brutus the dog
* - unconscious centipede, being gathered up and dragged away

The centipedes are defeated! The crowd cheers at the quick and efficient work, a welcome change from the last guy (last guy wasn't competent enough to win, but he wasn't even incompetent enough to get himself mauled by the wolf, so the crowd was displeased). Arena workers hustle out to gather up the centipedes and drag them back below the arena. You gain an astounding 38 experience each!

The voice announces, "A good showing from the newcomers, who just earned themselves the eighty gold pot for the first round! Would our gladiators like to move on to round 2, for a shot at upping that to two hundred gold?"

Sliver
2013-07-28, 01:28 PM
Scarecrow

Scarecrow slams his hand into his tower shield, indicating his readiness.

And yes, he returns to the center as well.

RCgothic
2013-07-28, 02:14 PM
Eleanor

I hold my thumb up to indicate ready as I jog back to the center of the arena.

D_Man_7733
2013-07-28, 03:13 PM
Garol

Garol stays in the center ready for the next round.

RaggedAngel
2013-07-28, 05:00 PM
Doldor

The druid just laughs softly, wiping his club off on the clean parts of the insect's exoskeleton. "If I wouldn't be ready for more after that, I'd be a pretty poor advocate of nature, now wouldn't I?" He moves back to the center of the arena, Brutus beside him.

Malimar
2013-07-28, 09:35 PM
DM

The voice: "It looks like the gladiators want another round! So here we go: a horrible skeletal monster one of our brother gropagas created! You may recognize this monster from how it mauled the face off those two elves yesterday!"

The east door opens, and a shambling, skeletal monster emerges! The animated skeleton of a monster with the body of a bear and the head of an owl! It advances on the party in eerie silence, aside from the clicking and clacking of its joints. The crowd cheers!

=====p========p=====
==p=====####pp======
===######╪╪######=p=
==##............##p=
p=#..............#==
==#..............#==
=p#..............#p=
==#..............#==
==#..............#=p
=p#..............#==
==#..............#p=
=##..............##=
=#╪......ES....@@╪#=
=#╪......DG....@@╪#=
=##......b.......##=
p=#..............#p=
==#..............#==
==#..............#==
==#..............#=p
p=#..............#==
==#..............#==
=p#..............#==
==##............##p=
===######╪╪######===
=p======####=pp=====
=====p============p=
# - wall
= - stadium seating
p - spectator
╪ - door
. - sand
E - Eleanor
S - Scarecrow
G - Garol
D - Doldor
b - Brutus the dog
@ - yes, it's an owlbear skeleton

RaggedAngel
2013-07-28, 11:11 PM
Doldor

The druid seems far less contemptuous this time around; clearly, he views the owlbear skeleton as far greater of a threat than two overgrown bugs. Still, he moves in to attack the beast with his club, more cautiously than last time, but aggressively all the same.

Move to the closest corner of the owlbear's space.

Club attack: [roll0] EDIT- Flatfootedness?
Damage (bludgeoning): [roll1]

Sliver
2013-07-28, 11:34 PM
Scarecrow

Scarecrow sends a stream of fire and moves 20ft north.

[roll0] DC15 half
[roll1] Rounds of entangled

Are we using the same initiative between battles?

RCgothic
2013-07-29, 12:54 AM
Eleanor

"Get around it's south! Flank it!", I call as I head north.

Move action:
NE 2 Squares (15ft)
E 3 Squares (15ft)
The idea is to be as east as possible whilst threatening the creature with my Glaive and avoiding its reach. (If it doesn't move I'll be 10ft north of its NW square)

Manoeuvre: Stone Bones. Gives DR5/Adamantine for 1 round if this hits.

Knowledge(religion) about creature: [roll2]

Rolling for next turn's manoeuvres (first 2 unique values withheld): [roll3]

Status effects:
It can't move unless it passes FORT DC10+DAM.
Eleanor has DR5/Adamantine
If it tries to attack Eleanor's allies, it'll take -4 to hit. It knows this (if it's smart enough).

D_Man_7733
2013-07-29, 12:54 AM
Garol HP: 16/16 AC: 17

Charging at the Owlbear Skeleton, Garol swings his scimitar with all his might, hoping to at least fracture some of the bones. "Gah, I really should have gotten a hammer"

Malimar
2013-07-29, 05:20 PM
DM
Sure, let's use the same initiative for now.

Garol charges the owlbear! His scimitar chips off some flakes of bone, but all in all the monster appears unaffected.

It is up next but... its controller makes it wait for something! To put on a good show!

Doldor moves in to swing at the skeleton! Delaying apparently means the monster still took no action, and thus is still flat-footed, and thus is hit for 3 damage, which appears to be completely effective.

Scarecrow emits fire! The creature is entangled with bands of fire!

Eleanor hits! a super-solid hit that scatters ribs all across the battlefield! And yet the monster seems barely fazed. It appears unaffected by her attempt to make it unable to move (even if it also affects objects: it made the save either way).

Eleanor doesn't know a whole lot about skeletons, apparently. But the comparative effectiveness of Doldor's club and Garol's scimitar and her glaive would seem to indicate that slashing weapons, at least, are less effective against this sort of monster.

The creature's controller knows that it's going to have trouble attacking anybody but Eleanor, plus it doesn't appear to have reach so its attempt to delay to do something crowd-pleasing (i.e., full attack three people at once) won't entirely have worked.

So the creature takes a 5'-step north, and attempts to claw and bite Eleanor while clawing Garol with its other arm! It completely misses Garol, and completely misses with its bite, but it catches Eleanor with a solid claw-strike for 7 damage.

=====p========p=====
==p=====####pp======
===######╪╪######=p=
==##............##p=
p=#..............#==
==#..............#==
=p#..............#p=
==#..............#==
==#.......S......#=p
=p#..............#==
==#...........E..#p=
=##............@@##=
=#╪............@@╪#=
=#╪...........G..╪#=
=##......b....D..##=
p=#..............#p=
==#..............#==
==#..............#==
==#..............#=p
p=#..............#==
==#..............#==
=p#..............#==
==##............##p=
===######╪╪######===
=p======####=pp=====
=====p============p=
# - wall
= - stadium seating
p - spectator
╪ - door
. - sand
E - Eleanor
S - Scarecrow
G - Garol
D - Doldor
b - Brutus the dog
@ - owlbear skeleton

D_Man_7733
2013-07-29, 06:07 PM
Garol HP: 16/16 AC: 17

Frustrated Garol grunts and continues hacking at the skeleton as he moves east, hoping to have some effect.

5ft' step east
ANOTHER SCIMITAR ATTACK: [roll0]

EDIT: DAMNIT CRITICAL ON UNDEAD!

RaggedAngel
2013-07-29, 09:47 PM
Doldor

Doldor turns to his animal companion, shouting a direction. "Brutus, go for the legs!" Brutus charges in beside his partner, his crushing jaws snapping for a femur. The dog's power is deceptive; he is nearly the mass of a full-grown man, and in his thick armor he is a serious force to be reckoned with.

Charge attack: [roll0]
Bite (bludgeoning, among other things): [roll1]

Sliver
2013-07-29, 10:29 PM
Scarecrow

"Be careful!" Scarecrow shouts to Eleanor as he lets out another stream of fire. It passes over Eleanor harmlessly, but the skeleton isn't as fortunate.

[roll0] Entangled over
[roll1] DC15
[roll2] rounds

RCgothic
2013-07-30, 03:26 AM
Eleanor

It's frustrating that such a solid hit didn't seem to affect it at all, but at least it seems to be concentrating on me and my companions have given me an idea for what might work! I use the pain of my injury as a mental focus, attempting to fortify myself against its next attacks. Moving east to support Garol, I shift my grip on my glaive and strike it again!

I grin at the solid hit. I hope the crowd got a kick out of that! "Bring it on!", I yell in the monster's face, concluding with a simple flourish of my blade.

5ft step east.

Glaive is now being used as an improvised quarterstaff, striking with the blunt end for bludgeoning damage.

Manoeuvre: Stone Bones - Gives DR5/Admantine on hit.
Attack [+5, -4 Improvised, +1 Furious Counterstrike, +2 Flanking]: [roll0]
Damage (bludgeoning): [roll1]

Rolling for next turn's granted manoeuvre: 1 is Crusader Strike, 2 Vanguard strike. [roll2]

Status Effects:
HP - 13/20 (delayed damage has been resolved)
AC - 17
DR5/Adamantine
Owlbear Skeleton can't move unless it passes FORT 19. (I think this particular object can be pushed off balance, so Stand Still should still work.)
Owlbear Skeleton has -4 to hit against allies (Thicket of Blades)

RaggedAngel
2013-07-30, 03:48 AM
Doldor

Doldor followed the same order he had given Brutus, swinging his club at the skeleton's legs in an attempt to bring it down to the ground. Silently, he fumed at the mere presence of the undead, but he kept quiet for now, trying to keep from being a priority for the abomination. His attack is both flawless and lucky, and he connects with a kneecap with bone-crunching force.

Club attack: [roll0]

Malimar
2013-07-30, 07:12 AM
DM
Garol pulls off a complicated maneuver, twirling his scimitar and landing a blow directly in one eye-hole, straight through where the brain would be, if it had one! ...the monster looks completely unaffected. (The crowd cheers at the fancy strike, then boos when they realize how much effect it had.)

Brutus darts in, snapping at the monster's leg-bones, getting a good bite onto one and splintering it!

Doldor steps up, and his club smashes into the kneecap, just above the bone that Brutus had already splintered, sending bone splinters scattering and bringing the monster crashing down to its bony knees. (The crowd cheers!)

The creature smoulders a little, then Scarecrow breathes more entangling fire, entwining the monster with ropes of flame!

(Note: last round's 7 damage was before the Stone Bones DR. My bad. Eleanor actually took 2.)

Eleanor twirls her glaive around, thwacking the monster on the head with the blunt end! The back of the monster's skull explodes into several pieces, but the pointy bit (i.e., the beak) remains intact. (The crowd cheers at this bit of cleverness, and its result.)

The owlbear skeleton lashes out with all its remaining limbs, clawing at Eleanor and Doldor and pecking at Brutus! It misses Eleanor; Doldor easily deflects the claw with his shield; and completely misses Brutus.

=====p===p====p=====
==p=====####pp======
===######╪╪######=p=
==##............##p=
p=#..............#==
==#..............#==
=p#..............#p=
==#..............#==
==#.......S......#=p
=p#..............#==
==#............E.#p=
=##............**##=
=#╪...........b**╪#=
=#╪...........DG.╪#p
=##..............##=
p=#..............#p=
==#..............#==
=p#..............#==
==#..............#=p
p=#..............#==
==#..............#==
=p#..............#==
==##............##p=
===######╪╪######===
=p======####=pp=====
=====p===p========p=
# - wall
= - stadium seating
p - spectator
╪ - door
. - sand
E - Eleanor
S - Scarecrow
G - Garol
D - Doldor
b - Brutus the dog
* - owlbear bones

Sliver
2013-07-30, 07:18 AM
Scarecrow

Glad to see that his allies are able to dance around their foe and deal enough damage to impress the crowd, Scarecrow roars out another stream of fire, increasing the heat around the skeleton.

[roll0] 2 rounds left
[roll1] DC15
[roll2] rounds

Malimar
2013-07-30, 07:24 AM
Technically next round, but rather than make you go through an extra round of combat when the result is preordained: Garol, Brutus, or Doldor could land the actual killing blow, but if not, the owlbear skeleton's last remaining hit point burns away in Scarecrow's fire before it can act again. The monster collapses into an inert heap of smouldering bones! Mongrelfolk gropagas come out with pushbrooms and a wheelbarrow, collecting charred bones and sweeping sand and bone splinters away, then scattering a bit of extra sand to replace it.

You each gain 75 XP.

The voice declares, "The gladiators have passed Round Two!" The crowd cheers! "Will they collect their 200 gold, or will they move on to Round Three and the possibility of 500 gold?"

RCgothic
2013-07-30, 08:44 AM
Eleanor

I raise my glaive in salute to the crowd before turning to jog back to the centre once more. I pause to inspect the scratch the beast gave me down my right side, but I'd managed to deflect the worst of it and it isn't as bad as I'd thought.

"I think we can survive another encounter, though let's not get too cocky - that skeleton was a lot more dangerous than the centipedes!"

If the others agree, I give a thumbs up to indicate ready and settle back into a supportive stance.

Rolling for granted manoeuvres:

1. Crusader's Strike
2. Vanguard Strike
3. Charging Minotaur
4. Stone Bones
5. Douse the Flames

First 2 unique values withheld: [roll0] That didn't work, see OOC.

Sliver
2013-07-30, 08:49 AM
Scarecrow

Pleased with himself, Scarecrow returns to the center of the arena and gives Eleanor a silent nod, followed by a cone of fire directed into the sky, trying to give the crowd a good show.

RaggedAngel
2013-07-30, 01:09 PM
Doldor

Brutus lets out several booming barks, and Doldor ruffles the dog's shaggy fur behind his ears. "I hear you, lad. Bring us more undead to crush and we'll be happy! I've yet to see something worth a real challenge!" He heads back to the center of the arena, prepared for something a little tougher than before; he begins pre-casting a spell over his club, holding on to the magic until he can see what the new threat might be.

Doldor will use a standard action to read an action to cast Shillelagh on his club if the next challenge is something he doesn't recognize via Knowledge to be not much of a threat. I hope that isn't too vague.

D_Man_7733
2013-07-30, 05:50 PM
Garol

Banging his scimitar on his shield Garol plays the croud for a second before returning to the centre of the arena, ready for round three.

Malimar
2013-07-30, 07:00 PM
DM
The crowd "oooohs" and cheers the show of fire and Garol's shield-banging. Are they not entertained? They are entertained!

The announcer: "And so on to Round Three! Against... this big huge snake!"

A giant snake, the size of an elephant, gets shoved out into the arena through the south door. It looks like they haven't been feeding it properly, presumably to make sure it's hungry for gladiators. It hisses, and looks about for dinner.

Doldor recognizes it as a huge viper. The party can almost certainly take it, if they coöperate, but they might get bit, and it might go unpleasantly for anybody who gets bit. I'll let you decide whether that triggered Doldor's readied action.

(I think we're going to do a new initiative this time.)

=====p===p====p=====
==p=====####pp===p==
==p######╪╪######=p=
==##............##p=
p=#..............#==
==#..............#==
=p#..............#p=
==#..............#==
==#..............#=p
=p#..............#==
==#..............#p=
=##..............##=
=#╪......SE......╪#=
=#╪......DG......╪#p
=##......b.......##=
p=#..............#p=
==#..............#==
=p#..............#==
==#..............#=p
p=#..............#==
==#.....sss......#==
=p#.....sss......#==
p=##....sss.....##p=
===######╪╪######===
=p======####=pp===p=
=====p===p========p=
# - wall
= - stadium seating
p - spectator
╪ - door
. - sand
E - Eleanor
S - Scarecrow
G - Garol
D - Doldor
b - Brutus the dog
s - huge snake

D_Man_7733
2013-07-30, 07:46 PM
Garol AC: 19 HP: 16/16

Garol stares at the snake, turning to his allies and shouting words of encouragement before preparing to attack.

initiative: [roll0]

RaggedAngel
2013-07-30, 10:42 PM
Doldor

Doldor relaxes the magical power he had been holding at the ready, appraising the large animal thoughtfully. "This is dangerous, but I don't think it can take any more punishment than the skeleton could, and it isn't nearly as hard to injure. Don't get bit unless you enjoy losing body parts."

Doldor's Initiative: [roll0]

Brutus's Initiative: [roll1]

Sliver
2013-07-30, 11:55 PM
Scarecrow

"A beast of nature against a beast of magic, think you can best me?" Scarecrow taunts the snake.

How can I forget to roll initiative?

[roll0]

RCgothic
2013-07-31, 03:44 AM
Eleanor

"Would you look at the size of that thing!" I don't think I've ever seen anything that large before outside of a book!

"Everybody back! You won't be able to get close without putting yourself at risk. If you give me a moment I'm sure I'll be able to distract it long enough for you to close safely! I need everyone to get behind me..."

I plant my feat in a supportive stance and pray silently for Numiel to provide the insight I need.

Swift Action: Thicket of Blades. Threatened enemy takes -4 to Attack vs allies. Enemy knows this.

Full Round Action: Total Defence.

Initiative Roll (+1, +1 Aura): [roll0]

Rolling for next granted manoeuvre:
1. Crusader's Strike.
2. Douse The Flames (pleasepleaseplease - YES!).
[roll1]

Douse The Flames will allow Eleanor to deny the creature attacks of opportunity and allow the others to get inside its reach.

AC: 21
HP: 18/20

Malimar
2013-07-31, 10:00 AM
DM
The snake advances hungrily upon the party! It's a safe bet its action is going to involve biting anybody who comes close to it.

Initiative will be Brutus, Scarecrow, the viper, Garol, Eleanor, Doldor. You may take your actions for the round (I'll take Eleanor's post as her action). (Reminder: you may post in any order; initiative is just the order in which actions are adjudicated.)

RaggedAngel
2013-07-31, 10:05 AM
Doldor

Brutus charges the snake, snarling as he does. The large dog slams into the much larger snake with a crunch of impact, and his teeth seek underbelly.

Charge Attack: [roll0]

HP: 13 AC: 18 this round due to charging.

Sliver
2013-07-31, 10:09 AM
Scarecrow

Scarecrow moves towards the snake and lets out a stream of fire at the monsterous snake.

[roll0] DC15
[roll1] rounds

D_Man_7733
2013-07-31, 04:38 PM
Garol HP: 16/16 AC: 19

Garol slowly moves towards the giant snake, slashing when he get's close, trying to keep to the east of it so his allies can surround it.

Attack [roll0] crits on 22-24
damage [roll1]

if crit [roll2]
bonus damage [roll3]

RaggedAngel
2013-07-31, 04:48 PM
Doldor

The dwarven druid follows his hound into combat, charging behind him and attempting to land a heavy blow on the serpent with his club.

Charge attack: [roll0]

HP: 11, AC: 16 (normally 18)

Malimar
2013-08-01, 09:54 AM
DM

Brutus charges in to nip at the snake! The snake has rather a bit of reach on him, but it only bites the air just behind the dog. However, Brutus has a hard time finding a good place to bite the huge, scaly monster, and the snake evades his blows.

Scarecrow moves towards the snake and breathes at it! It avoids the worst of the blast, but is still entangled with ropes of fire!

The viper doesn't like this one bit. But the only thing nearby is... Brutus the brave dog! The snake hisses, and bites at the rather smaller mammal with huge fangs! But the dog manages to scramble out of the way, leaving the snake disappointed.

Garol moves up, managing to get just close enough to attack! The snake has rather a bit of reach on him, but it only bites the air just behind him. His scimitar cuts deep the snake's scales, leaving a bloody red gash!

Eleanor finds that her allies have rushed the snake. She can... move up to threaten the monster, and then do her action as described (Total Defense is only a standard). Unless otherwise noted, I'll assume that's her action for this round. (The other easy option would be she delays until the top of next round.)

Doldor charges, swinging his club, and connects with the monster's lower jaw, dislocating it briefly. (On a creature not capable of dis- and re-locating its jaw at will, that could have been a real problem. As it stands, the monster is merely injured regular-like.)

=====p===p====p=p===
==p=====####pp===p==
==p######╪╪######=p=
==##............##p=
p=#..............#==
==#..............#==
=p#..............#p=
==#..............#==
==#..............#=p
=p#..............#p=
==#..............#p=
=##..............##=
p#╪......E.......╪#=
=#╪..............╪#p
=##..............##=
p=#......S.......#p=
==#..............#==
=p#..............#==
==#..............#=p
p=#.....Db.G.....#==
==#.....sss......#==
=p#.....sss......#==
p=##....sss.....##p=
===######╪╪######===
=p==p===####=pp===p=
=====p===p========p=
# - wall
= - stadium seating
p - spectator
╪ - door
. - sand
E - Eleanor
S - Scarecrow
G - Garol
D - Doldor
b - Brutus the dog
s - huge snake

Sliver
2013-08-01, 10:01 AM
Scarecrow

As the flames wrap themselves around the snake, Scarecrow edges closer and breathes another stream of fire.

5ft step towards the snake.

[roll0] entangled over
[roll1] Ref 15
[roll2] rounds

Oh come on!

RCgothic
2013-08-01, 10:04 AM
Eleanor

Momentarily disoriented by nothing going as I'd expected, I just stand glued to the spot.

(delay until the top of next round)

RaggedAngel
2013-08-01, 10:24 AM
Doldor

The dwarf looks over his shoulder as his animal companion delivers another bite to the massive snake. "C'mon, Eleanor, we could really use a hand here! What's wrong with you?" He then takes his own shot at the beast, swinging his club at its head again, hoping to knock it silly, and taking a step to move around it a little.

Brutus attack: [roll0]

Doldor shifts around the snake to try to flank it a little.

Doldor attack: [roll2]

RCgothic
2013-08-01, 10:46 AM
Eleanor

Spurred out of my inactivity by Doldor's words, I spring back into the action!

(I make a mental note to have a word with people about tactics though)

Move action - move to 5ft north of where Garol is - should still threaten the viper.

Standard Action: Stone Bones

Status Effects:
-4 to all attacks against allies by threatened target.
Eleanor has DR5/Adamantine if that hit.

D_Man_7733
2013-08-01, 03:07 PM

Garol continues his attacks, with his shield at the ready should he come under attack.

damage [roll1]

if crit [roll2]
bonus damage [roll3]

Malimar
2013-08-01, 03:49 PM
DM
Eleanor runs over and glaivens the snake right in the snakey coily bits! It hisses in pain, and isn't looking very happy.

Brutus bites at the snake, but again, is unable to get purchase on the creature's tough scales.

Scarecrow breathes another lick of flame on the creature, renewing its entangledness but only barely singeing it.

The viper now finds itself in a target-rich environment! It is, however, smart enough to realize that Eleanor is somehow its biggest threat, so it lashes out at her over the heads of its other foes! Its massive fangs easily puncture her armor, dealing 6 damage. She feels briefly ill as the monster injects its venom, but shakes it off.

Garol hacks at the snake, but his scimitar fails to pierce its scales!

Doldor's swing goes wide, but he manages to recover, avoiding clubbing himself or Brutus in the face or dropping his weapon or any of the bad things that happen when you get that badly off-balance.

=====p===p====p=p===
==p=====####pp===p==
==p######╪╪######=p=
==##............##p=
p=#..............#==
==#..............#==
=p#..............#p=
==#..............#==
==#..............#=p
=p#..............#p=
==#..............#p=
=##..............##=
p#╪..............╪#=
=#╪..............╪#p
=##..............##=
p=#......S.......#p=
==#..............#==
=p#..............#==
==#........E.....#=p
p=#......b.G.....#==
==#....Dsss......#==
=p#.....sss......#==
p=##....sss.....##p=
===######╪╪######===
=p==p===####=pp===p=
=====p===p========p=
# - wall
= - stadium seating
p - spectator
╪ - door
. - sand
E - Eleanor
S - Scarecrow
G - Garol
D - Doldor
b - Brutus the dog
s - huge snake

Sliver
2013-08-01, 03:56 PM
Scarecrow

Annoyed that the last stream barely managed to catch on to the snake, Scarecrow lets out another stream, putting his soul into it!

5ft step closer to the snake.

[roll0] entangled over
[roll1] DC15
[roll2] rounds

RaggedAngel
2013-08-01, 04:41 PM
Doldor

Brutus continues to try and draw the snake's attention from the front while Doldor works his way around the animal carefully, until he finally reaches a decent flanking position with Garol.

Brutus attack: [roll0]

Doldor shifts around the snake again, and should be flanking it with Garol now.

Doldor attack: [roll2]

RaggedAngel
2013-08-01, 04:43 PM
Crit Confirmation:
[roll0]

Crit damage: [roll1]

D_Man_7733
2013-08-02, 12:42 AM

"it's scaly hide is tougher than it looks!" Garol shouts as he brings his scimitar down for another strike.

damage [roll1]

if crit [roll2]
bonus damage [roll3]

RCgothic
2013-08-02, 02:21 AM
Eleanor

My last attack threw the snake's bite off enough that I didn't get seriously impaled (stone bones), but I worry that there may still be venom in me.

I step around Garol to flank with Doldor and attempt to focus my divine purpose into a healing burst.

5ft step SE.

Standard Action:
Crusader's Strike. Heal [roll0] If this hits.
Attack [+5 Glaive, +2 Flanking] [roll1]
Damage:[roll2]

Status effects:
Snake takes -4 to hit if it attacks allies.

AC:17
HP: 20/20 (18-1+3)

I have no manoeuvres withheld, so I need to roll for which ones are not granted next turn:
1. Crusader's Strike
2. Vanguard Strike
3. Charging Minotaur
4. Stone Bones
5. Douse The Flames

First 2 unique withheld: [roll3]

Malimar
2013-08-02, 10:14 AM
DM
Eleanor's strike hits with great precision! The crowd cheers, and the snake is now bleeding copiously from several wounds.

Brutus finally manages to get a good attack in, digging into one of its previous wounds, past a couple broken ribs, and latching onto the monster's heart (which is at least the size of Brutus's head). The snake flails both its ends and screams a hiss, before collapsing to the ground, not moving. The crowd goes wild!

You gain 112 experience each.

Workmen come out and examine the snake. They're about to poke it with wands, but they determine that it is, in fact, dead. They look slightly disappointed, but they get to work hauling the snake off anyway. It'll take them at least a minute, and in the meanwhile, Eleanor successfully saves against, and thus shrugs off, the lingering effects of the poison.

The voice proclaims, over the cheering of the crowd: "That was Round Three, for 500 gold pieces! Will our mighty gladiators take their winnings, or go for round four, trying to tie our current record for twelve hundred gold?"

=====p===p====p=p===
==p=====####pp===p==
==p######╪╪######=p=
==##............##p=
p=#..............#==
==#..............#==
=p#..............#p=
==#..............#==
==#..............#=p
=p#..............#p=
==#..............#p=
=##..............##=
p#╪..............╪#=
=#╪..............╪#p
=##..............##=
p=#......S.......#p=
==#..............#==
=p#..............#==
==#..............#=p
p=#......b.G.....#==
==#....D***.E....#==
=p#.....***......#==
p=##....***.....##p=
===######╪╪######===
=p==p===####=pp===p=
=====p===p========p=
# - wall
= - stadium seating
p - spectator
╪ - door
. - sand
E - Eleanor
S - Scarecrow
G - Garol
D - Doldor
b - Brutus the dog
* - huge, dead snake

RCgothic
2013-08-02, 10:39 AM
Eleanor

I raise my Glaive to salute the cheers of the crowd, and then rotate my freshly healed shoulder to test. I feel no trace of the venom I was injected with so I walk back to the centre of the arena to reconvene with the others.

"We've got this far without serious injury, so I don't see why we shouldn't attempt another round.

But we need to discuss tactics.

Did you all see where it snapped at Garol's head? With a strike that potent he was lucky not to get hit, and its venom was no laughing matter. I count myself lucky it only managed to inject me with a little. I could have distracted it long enough for you to get close unmolested if you'd have let me.

Scarecrow - good job with the fire, keep it up. Garol and Doldor keep trying to flank, that's working well. I'll keep trying to prevent them attacking you and if anyone gets hurt I can switch to healing.

Ok, ready for another round!"

RaggedAngel
2013-08-02, 01:54 PM
Doldor

The dwarf nods in agreement. "Aye, flanking this next foes or foes along with a little healing will do us well. I'm also going to go ahead an use my prepared combat spell for the day; may as well go into this next fight ready for something big and slobbering."

He readies an action to cast Shillelagh as soon as something appears. He's going to cast it no matter what the next fight is.

Sliver
2013-08-02, 01:57 PM
Scarecrow

Scarecrow nods. "We had fared well so far, let's see what they have to offer next."

D_Man_7733
2013-08-02, 05:21 PM

Garol returns to the centre with his allies, ready for the next round. "I agree with Eleanor, the further we go, the more likely we are going to be required to make use of tactics and space."

Malimar
2013-08-02, 06:19 PM
DM
The announcer declares, "It looks like they're ready! Ah, but first, this is Round Four, so there's a twist! Our fighters will face their foes... chained together!" The crowd cheers excitedly as several acolytes of Inglip come forth, bearing a complex apparatus of chains. They attach chain skillfully to each of your legs (and as a collar to Brutus), in such a way that it shouldn't impede your fighting or spellcasting, but will prevent you from getting too far apart.

To wit: the chains don't let you get more than 5' from one another. You must remain adjacent to at least one ally at all times.

"Our chained gladiators will be facing..." The crowd goes quiet in anticipation! "...These two giant spiders!" The north and west doors swing open and emit two monstrous, hairy, horse-sized spiders.

Doldor casts his spell, making his club all sorts of fancy.

Then... new initiative, for this potentially climactic fight! You may roll your initiative along with your action for the round. (Also, have a friendly reminder, though I'm sure you don't need it, that the ready action exists.)

=====p===p====p=p===
==p==p==####pp===p==
==p######╪╪######=p=
==##.....ss.....##p=
p=#......ss......#==
==#..............#p=
=p#..............#p=
==#..............#==
==#..............#=p
=p#..............#p=
==#..............#p=
=##..............##=
p#╪ss....SG......╪#=
=#╪ss....DE......╪#p
=##......b.......##=
p=#..............#p=
==#..............#==
=p#..............#==
=p#..............#=p
p=#..............#==
==#..............#p=
=p#..............#==
p=##............##p=
===######╪╪######===
=p==p===####=pp===p=
=====p===p========p=
# - wall
= - stadium seating
p - spectator
╪ - door
. - sand
E - Eleanor
S - Scarecrow
G - Garol
D - Doldor
b - Brutus the dog
s - large monstrous spider

Sliver
2013-08-03, 02:54 AM
Scarecrow

Scarecrow frowns at the added challenge but accepts it. Then as the spiders come out he waits for a moment and moves with someone else, releasing a blast of fire at the closest spider.

That's very confusing. :smalltongue: Can I be chained to Garol while Brutus and Doldor charge and we advance more slowly?

Can we delay to sync our initiatives and act together, since while you can move and standard, the one chained to you will then have to use a standard to ready a move...

If yes to delaying, that's what Scarecrow does, and blasts fire. If no, then Scarecrow simply readies a move with the first one that moves from the group.

Alternatively: We could let the spiders come to us and try to form a circle so some get a flanking bonus.

Initiative: [roll0]

If able: [roll1] DC15 ref
[roll2] rounds

RCgothic
2013-08-03, 03:41 AM
Eleanor

I rapidly take in the tactical situation. Chained together, flanking doesn't seem viable whilst we're in danger of being flanked ourselves.

"Form a wedge! Don't let them get behind us! Garol, Doldor, Brutus, form on me as the corner! Scarecrow, get behind us and do your thing!"

INIT [+1, +1 Aura]: [roll0]

Actions: Those who can should act to arrange the formation before the spiders get to move should do so. Ideally, Eleanor will be in the corner to make attacks of opportunity against both spiders as they close. She'll then step back to support everyone whilst continuing to threaten both spiders and to prevent herself getting ganged up on by both.

Unless we all get to go before the spiders, I don't think there's much point delaying to a common init step. Just hit those spiders as soon as they come in range and use 5ft steps.

Initial formation:

E G
DS
B

Second formation:

EG
DS
B

Status effects:
Any threatened foe takes -4 on attacks against allies.

RaggedAngel
2013-08-03, 07:56 AM
Doldor

The dwarf was not an intellectual powerhouse, but he was both observant and perceptive. As soon as the chain situation was explained, he began considering; and that consideration ended once the spiders revealed themselves. "Right, then. We ready up to hit this one as soon as it gets close. If the other one keeps its distance, we all charge it at the same time, with Scarecrow in the back of the formation. These chains are restrictive, but not lethally so."

Doldor Init: [roll0]

Brutus Init: [roll1]

Malimar
2013-08-05, 09:00 AM
DM
One of the spider goes first! It charges... Scarecrow! Eleanor, even though she's flat-footed and can't actually make attacks of opportunity, still appears technically to threaten the creature, so she distracts the monster with her glaive just enough that its fangs connect only with a particularly solid bit of Scarecrow's armor!

And then... hm, Eleanor can't move properly, and besides she already threatens the monster, because it went first. No actions from anybody else. So all the PCs delay, and will go first this coming round! (Scarecrow can use his post-delay action from this round in the coming round, if he'd like, or he can roll a new action.) Weird, and probably mostly a result of me failing to communicate clearly, but at least you all go before the monsters now!

So the other spider, which rolled rather poorer on its initiative, also charges! It selects... Garol as its target! But Garol would have been able to bring his shield up to prevent it even if Eleanor weren't distracting the monster with her glaive.

(You can indeed (if you'd like) ready actions to move with one another. You can also move and/or 5'-step regular-like, so long as you're never more than 5' from at least one ally.)

=====p===p====p=p===
==p==p==####pp===p==
==p######╪╪######=p=
==##............##p=
p=#..............#==
==#..............#p=
=p#..............#p=
==#..............#==
==#..............#=p
=p#..............#p=
==#......aa......#p=
=##......aa......##=
p#╪....aaSG......╪#=
=#╪....aaDE......╪#p
=##......b.......##=
p=#..............#p=
==#..............#==
=p#..............#==
=p#..............#=p
p=#..............#==
==#..............#p=
=p#..............#==
p=##............##p=
===######╪╪######===
=p==p===####=pp===p=
=====p===p========p=
# - wall
= - stadium seating
p - spectator
╪ - door
. - sand
E - Eleanor
S - Scarecrow
G - Garol
D - Doldor
b - Brutus the dog
a - large monstrous spider

Sliver
2013-08-05, 09:16 AM
Scarecrow

Scarecrow decides to make himself a giant target by pushing past Garol as he launches a stream of fire.

Since their AoOs happen before Scarecrow enters Garol's space, squeezing penalties shouldn't apply.

Moving 10ft to the east and catching both spiders in a cone of fire.

[roll0] damage each
[roll1] rounds entangled

RCgothic
2013-08-05, 09:25 AM
Eleanor

I attempt to defend scarecrow against the western spider - if we can get that one down and out quickly then the fight will become a lot easier!

Standard action: Douse the Flames (Target loses AoOs for 1 round if hit) against western spider.
Attack [+5 Glaive]: [roll0]

Rolling for granted manoeuvre:
1. Vanguard Strike
2. Stone Bones
[roll2]

Status effects:
Threatened foes take -4 to hit against allies.
Western spider loses any AoOs this round.
(Eleanor can make AoOs against both spiders if they provoke).

AC:17
HP:20

RaggedAngel
2013-08-05, 11:43 AM
Doldor

Doldor and Brutus are both right next to a big hairy spider, so their actions are a forgone conclusion; they both lash out at the arachnoid, Brutus with his powerful fangs and Doldor with his club. Doldor's club seems to hum faintly in the air as he swings it, and if it connects there is a sound of impact that seems like it should be coming from a weapon many times the club's size.

Brutus attack on the Western spider: [roll0]

Doldor attack on the same: [roll2]

D_Man_7733
2013-08-05, 06:04 PM

Garol slashes at the spider right in front of him trying to bring his scimitar down through it's leg.

damage [roll1]

if crit [roll2]
bonus damage [roll3]

Malimar
2013-08-05, 06:27 PM
DM
Brutus bites at the nearest spider, but its hard, bristly exoskeleton foils the dog's jaws!

Eleanor slashes the same spider solidly in the thorax, spraying ichor on the sand; the creature scuttles angrily!

With a mighty KTHWOCK, Doldor strikes the same one, beaning it in one shoulder; now it's rather favoring a leg or two.

Scarecrow moves east! One of the spiders is completely suppressed by Eleanor's glaive; the other merely distracted by it, but Scarecrow easily ducks out of the way of the attack. Then he breathes fire, and bands of entangling fire envelop both spiders! The one to the west looks like it's on its last legs.

Garol tries -- very successfully -- to hack at the other one! He slashes right at its mandibles, and sets himeslf up to be in a perfect position to parry any incoming blows! (Parrying Strike: Double damage and +4 to your AC for 1 round.)

The west spider, burning merrily, bites at air, so far from anybody that it's difficult to tell which target it was even attacking (it was Doldor).

The north spider fares slightly more poorly even than that.

=====p===p====p=p===
==p==p==####pp===p==
==p######╪╪######=p=
==##............##p=
p=#..............#==
==#..............#p=
=p#..............#p=
==#..............#==
==#..............#=p
=p#..............#p=
==#......aa......#p=
=##......aa......##=
p#╪....aa.GS.....╪#=
=#╪....aaDE......╪#p
=##......b.......##=
p=#..............#p=
==#..............#==
=p#..............#==
=p#..............#=p
p=#..............#==
==#..............#p=
=p#..............#==
p=##............##p=
===######╪╪######===
=p==p===####=pp===p=
=====p===p========p=
# - wall
= - stadium seating
p - spectator
╪ - door
. - sand
E - Eleanor
S - Scarecrow
G - Garol
D - Doldor
b - Brutus the dog
a - large monstrous spider

RaggedAngel
2013-08-05, 07:43 PM
Doldor

Doldor and Brutus continue to strike out at the western spider; should it fall before Doldor gets a chance to attack it, he instead moves as best he can to get into range with the northern spider.

Brutus attack on the Western spider: [roll0]

Doldor attack on the same: [roll2]

D_Man_7733
2013-08-05, 08:23 PM
Garol HP: 16/16 AC: 23

Garol slashes again at the spider, shouting a wordless shout of glory.

damage [roll]1d6+3[roll]

if crit [roll1]
bonus damage [roll2]

Sliver
2013-08-05, 10:47 PM
Scarecrow

Scarecrow sees how close the spiders are to their expiration and adds some fire to the spiders.

[roll0]
[roll1] each Ref 15
[roll2] rounds of entangled