PDA

View Full Version : Pokémon Thread XIII: Our Ponies are ON FIRE!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Mando Knight
2012-07-14, 10:55 AM
Pokémon XIII: Our Ponies are ON FIRE!
http://dc379.4shared.com/img/aU80cjng/s7/Twilight_evolved_into_Rapidash.gif
So awesome they couldn't resist copying it!

Pony thread? You're in the wrong place! This is Pokémon! Our ponies are on fire, and evolve into unicorns with even more fire! Except when they're zebras that shoot lightning or when they're the Three Musketeers!

These are friend codes (Partially out of date: If they are, post your new codes now and I'll fix them). For your friends. If you're not on here? It means you're not friendly. Also that for whatever reason they didn't get put here. If you're not here, just mention it whenever you can.
FRIEND CODES:
{table=head]Name|Diamond|Pearl|Platinum|HeartGold|SoulSilver|B lack|White|Black 2|White 2
Legoshrimp|2923-1445-3340|X|X|X|1849-3954-2553|X|X|X|X
Kobold Bard|X|X|X|4168-8792-1683|X|X|X|X|X
Freako|X|X|1333-4517-6347|X|2966-0800-3851|X|X|X|X
Jimp|X|X|X|X|2407-7659-7056|X|X|X|X
tgva8889|X|X|3438-0598-0009|X|3052-0635-4414|X|3353-3706-1386|X|X
Mattarias, King.|X|X|X|3524-4231-3529|X|X|4770-6741-0740|X|X
Linkavitch|X|X|X|5027-8564-5267|X|X|X|X|X
SparkMandriller|2277-4598-3685|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X
B-Man|X|X|X|X|5371-4488-1062|X|X|X|X
goldfly|X|X|X|0174-5615-7997|X|4728-4502-3697|3009-8301-5885|X|X
Deth Muncher|X|X|1162-2087-3138|X|X|X|X|X|X
Terry576|0174-5674-2515|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X
AtlanteanTroll|X|X|1505-6983-3009|X|1291-5054-9504|X|3911-6794-1526|X|X
Qwertystop|X|X|2450-2269-2301|4770-4806-9656|X|X|X|X|X
The-Mage-King|5369-7209-0920|X|X|X|X|X|4169-5014-1806|X|X
bue52|X|X|0088-3371-2579|0689-7808-4229|X|X|X|X|X
Geno9999|X|5328-7909-7435|X|X|1892-8459-0727|Owned|X|X|X
oxybe|X|X|X|4684-4678-9165|X|X|1162-9092-9501|X|X
Drascin|X|X|X|X|X|3525-1309-6530|X|X|X
Ryzouken|X|X|3782-2115-8275|X|X|4512-9802-0628|X|X|X
Deuxhero|X|X|X|X|3481-6327-5325|X|4727-7229-9821|X|X
FantasyFoxMan|X|X|X|1677-9053-6018|X|X|1377-6516-2321|X|X
CoffeeIncluded|X|X|X|X|X|X|0389-8063-2889|X|X
ShinyRocks|X|X|X|X|X|2064-8383-8632|X|X|X
Turalisj|X|X|X|X|X|4684-8033-0061|X|X|X
OracleofWuffing|X|X|X|X|X|4684-8355-8999|X|X|X
Crimson Angel|X|X|X|X|X|2494-4300-9144|X|X|X
Mando Knight|Owned|Owned|X|1806-4645-4773|X|X|1850-1765-8454|4513-8367-5916|X
breakdownjason|X|X|X|X|X|1291-9831-7735|X|X|X
Thormag|X|X|X|X|X|1764-5885-4832|X|X|X
Derjuin|X|X|X|X|X|4470-1730-8020|X|X|X
Rising Phoenix|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|4084-3527-0188|X
Mindfreak|X|X|X|X|X|Owned|X|4943-3506-7435|X
Gulaghar|X|Owned|X|X|Owned|3955-3645-3467|X|4256-1366-7556|X[/table]

Related to the friend codes is the IRC. Use this channel when you want to trade with other people.

irc.quakenet.org/#pkmtrade

Also, the following members posses TOTALLY AND COMPLETELY LEGAL (cough) ways of getting you TOTALLY AND COMPLETELY LEGAL (cough) hacked Pokeymans.
Kobold-Bard
ryzouken
Hunter Noventa
Qwertystop
OracleofWuffing

The Last Thread: The Truth of the Ideal Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=226563)

Helpful Links/Hints For Adventuring Ten Year Olds

Bulbapedia (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/)
Smogon (http://www.smogon.com/)
Metalkid's Damage Calculator (http://www.metalkid.info/Pokemon/Calculatorrs/Damage.aspx)
Metalkid's IV Calculator (http://www.metalkid.info/Pokemon/Calculators/IV.aspx)
Serebii (http://www.serebii.net/index2.shtml)
Pokémon Online (http://www.pokemon-online.eu/) (for battles over the internets when you don't want to bother training things by hand)

Breeding For Dummies:

So, you're tired of navigating a Pokemon thread where everyone uses fancy words and stuff? Well no worries! Here's a guide on... BREEDING FOR DUMMIES!

One of the first things to remember in breeding is that there are natures that help and ones that hinder. For instance, a Special Attacker such as Mewtwo would be hindered by an Adamant nature, but helped in his stat growth by a Modest nature. To improve your chances for getting a particular Nature in a child Pokémon, use at least one parent with the Nature you want, and give it the Everstone.

Brilliant Spreadsheet for Growth (http://pokemon.marriland.com/statcalc_dp.php).

Some IVs are randomly inherited from the parents. You can lock in a maximum of one IV by giving a parent the corresponding Power training item (Power Bracer for Attack, Power Lens for Special Attack, and so forth). Use Flat Battles to determine the IVs of a hatched Pokémon, or if you only care about the highest IV and the sum of all of its IVs, you can take it to a guy who's in the lobby of either the Battle Tower or the Battle Subway, depending on your game. You're looking for them to judge it Relatively Superior overall and Can't Be Better in its best stat.

The third main thing with breeding is Egg Moves. Egg moves are moves the parent has, and passes down to a child. For instance, in my breeding of Chimchar, the egg moves are Grass Knot and Swords Dance, which are passed down to the child who gets said moves from the start. In order to pass on most Egg Moves, the father must know the move (Genderless Pokémon never learn Egg Moves). These include all of the moves that are listed as the child Pokémon's Egg Moves in a move list chart, as well as any compatible TMs or HMs. You can also pass on moves that the child would learn by level-up that aren't in those two lists--for these, both parents must know the move.

Dr. Strangemon or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Min-Max
Don't feel the need to bother with this stuff unless you're playing against humans or at the Battle Frontier. You shouldn't need it for most of the game, and it can be kind of a pain.

Individual Values
Every Pokémon species has its own base stats, as you probably know. Aerodactyl are very fast but have weak defenses, Blissey have huge amounts of HP, Luvdisc are terrible at everything but speed, and so on. But, in addition to the normal stat allocation, every Pokemon gets a bonus of 0-31 points applied to each stat. So a level 100 Tyranitar could have an attack stat of 273, or it could have a attack of 304. That bonus is the IV.
A Pokémon has its IVs generated the moment you meet it, or accept its egg, and there's no way to change them. You're stuck with what you've got. However, you can influence them a little, if you're willing to breed. Bred Pokémon don't randomly generate all their IVs, they inherit up to 3 from their parents. Still doesn't help that much, especially if the parents have bad IVs, but what can you do? Typically you just end up hatching like a billion eggs until you get a good one.

Effort Values
Every time you win a fight, your Pokémon get experience, but that's not all they get. Every Pokémon also gives out effort points. For every 4 effort points in a particular stat, your Pokémon gains 1 point in it. So if that Tyranitar from earlier with 304 attack had 4 attack EVs, his actual attack would be 305. If he had 252 attack EVs, it'd be 367. Sounds handy, but there are limits. You can't have more than 255 points in a single stat, and you can't have more than 510 EVs in total.

You'll see a lot of Pokémon with 252 attack/special attack EVs, 252 speed, and 4 HP, but there are a lot of ways to configure them. Defensive Pokémon will obviously focus on different things, Pokémon which use both physical and special attacks will need to split EVs between them or possibly sacrifice speed, and so on.

It's a tremendous pain to work out what EVs your Pokémon has, so you'll likely want to start with a Pokémon that you freshly hatched and work from there, though you don't have to. There are 6 berries that reduce EVs in a single stat each, so you can use those to reset your Pokémon and start from scratch. After that, just keep a careful record of what you fight, and only take down Pokémon that you know give you the EVs you want.

EV training takes a while, but there are a few ways you can speed it up. The first is an astonishingly rare status condition called Pokérus. Any Pokémon with Pokérus gets double EVs from fights, and will spread the Pokérus to any Pokémon in your party for the first 72 hours after it catches it. After those 72 hours it stops being contagious, but still gets double EVs. Pokérus has something like 1/20000 chance to appear on wild Pokemon, but with the magic of the internet I'm sure you can obtain it.

The second way to speed up EV training is through Power Items. If a Pokémon is holding the right item, they get bonus EVs from every fight. For example, a Pokémon holding a Power Lens will get 4 special attack EVs. A Pokémon holding a Power Anklet will get 4 speed EVs. A Pokémon holding a Macho Brace will just get double the EVs of whatever they're fighting. These bonuses are doubled if you have Pokérus.

The third way to speed up EVs is through vitamins. Each vitamin given to a Pokémon gives them +10 EVs in a certain stat, up to a limit of 100. 1 protein gives 10 attack EVs, 10 give 100. These unfortunately aren't doubled by Pokérus or items, so you'll have to pay for the full amount. Luckily money is easy to come by in these games.

Just as an example, I'll show how I EV'd my Gengar.
First, I gave him 10 calcium, and 10 carbos, so 100 special attack and 100 speed already.
After that, I gave him Pokérus and a lucky egg, got him to meet a Floatzel (2 speed EVs, doubled to 4 because of Pokérus), and then sent out my Weezing to explode on it so Gengar could get all the experience, for a higher level and 100 special attack, 104 speed.
After that, I gave him a Power Lens, flew over to the Old Chateau, and killed 15 Gastly (1 special attack from Gastly, 4 from the lens, doubled to 10 from Pokérus) for 150 special attack EVs, bringing my total to 250 special attack, 104 speed.
After that I equipped a power anklet and killed one more Gastly (1 special attack from Gastly, 4 speed from the anklet, doubled to 2 and 8 from Pokérus), meaning Gengar had 252 attack, and 112 speed.
Leaving the anklet equipped, I flew to Route 201, and killed 14 Starly (1 speed from Starly, 4 from the anklet, meaning 10 speed per starly thanks to Pokérus), for a total of 252 attack, 252 speed.
All that was left after that was to kill a Bidoof with a Power Weight (1 HP from Bidoof, 4 from the Weight, 10 thanks to Pokerus, although I only gained 6 points because I hit the EV cap), leaving my Gengar with 252 special attack EVs, 252 Speed, and 4 HP, just how I wanted him.
Roughly an hour's work, and one Pokemon down.
tl;dr: The simplified version of EVs/IVs - EVs are gained by fighting other Pokémon. They vary by the Pokémon defeated. They increase your stats for every 4 gained. IVs are inherent to a Pokémon. They increase stats for every point possessed, and range from 0 to 31. EVs have to be manually tracked or else removed entirely with certain berries. IVs can be checked by knowing the EVs of a Pokémon and then plugging its stats into an IV calculator. The higher the Pokémon's level, the more accurate; level 100 wifi battles provide maximum accuracy.

Now, you might ask, "Mando Knight, how do you get those accented e's?" On a PC, change your keyboard layout to US-International, and press 'e. For some versions of Windows, if you don't want the US-International keyboard on all the time, you can also have it switch between different registered keyboards with a press of Ctrl+Shift. (Alt+Shift lets you switch languages, in case you need to type a bunch of characters like these: ασδφγηξκλ)

Previous thread here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=226563).

boj0
2012-07-14, 12:19 PM
Posting for the checkmark

Forrestfire
2012-07-14, 01:25 PM
Oh cool, a new thread.

Agent_0042
2012-07-14, 01:29 PM
This past February, my friends and I did a Stadium 2 rental tournament. Great fun was had by all, and we want to make this an annual tradition, but the problem is that we've absolutely torn that metagame apart. Charizard + Magneton + Kingdra/Dewgong/Dragonair make a perfect defensive core. Heracross has been nicknamed "Wreck ****" because, with a STAB Megahorn and unexpected bulk (he can survive a Psychic from Kadabra), that's what he does. Et cetera. Everyone knows which 'mons are viable.

So, to prevent staleness, we're adding a new event to the tourneys next year - Battle Revolution. Generation IV, twice the species, physical/special split, fun stuff. However, there are no rentals in the game, so I and one friend have split up the mons (he handles I and II, and I take care of III and IV) and we're going to breed/train our own "rentals". By sticking to only the fully evolved 'mons, we figure this is doable in six months.

Having decided all this, I then pick up SS for the first time in a year-and-a-half, only to remember that TMs aren't infinite use in Gen IV. :smallsigh:

I also realize that I've traded my full breeding stock of Dittos to White. :smallmad:

I also learn that the only way to obtain the Gen III starters using the Gen IV games is to beat Red in HeartGold and SoulSilver, at which point you receive one. None of my friends have functioning Gen III games. :smallfurious:

That said, I had set down the game prior to beating Red, which I proceeded to do yesterday morning with a shamefully unoptimized team:

L70 Typhlosion - Eruption, Flamethrower, Lava Plume, Swift
L70 Magnezone - Discharge, Mirror Shot, Thunder Wave, Magnet Rise
L70 Victreebel - Leaf Blade, Leaf Storm, Slam, Sleep Powder
L70 Slowbro - Surf, Psychic, Headbutt, Slack Off
L70 Machamp - Dynamic Punch, Strength, Rock Climb, Foresight
"HM Whore", L45 Lugia - Doesn't matter, because L45.

No TMs, no EV training, really no optimization beyond ensuring they have a somewhat appropriate nature. So, apparently you can beat Red (on Set, no less) without too much grinding. One starter down.

Starwulf
2012-07-14, 03:41 PM
Posting for the checkmark ^^

Partof1
2012-07-14, 03:49 PM
Agent, that is super cool, but I so do not envy you :P

Derjuin
2012-07-14, 03:58 PM
From previous thread:

I have a half-dozen from my Dratini breeding program. Also a few females, if you want to spread Marvel Scale around, too.

Great! Is there anything you want/need in return? I have an extra Zorua and some other stuff that's probably kinda mediocre :smallsmile:. Oh, and my friend code for Black Version is 4470-1730-8020 (I'd like to be added to the big list, please).

Mando Knight
2012-07-14, 04:23 PM
I don't really need anything, though if you have them, evolution stones, Hoenn Pokémon, and Snivy are things that would help round out my 'dex.

Othesemo
2012-07-14, 06:23 PM
New thread! Let me get the checkmark.

Agent_0042
2012-07-14, 06:28 PM
Agent, that is super cool, but I so do not envy you :P

Indeed. I wish Nintendo would hurry along with Battle Revolution 2, or what have you.

Partof1
2012-07-14, 06:52 PM
Is that the most recent sort of Pokemon Stadium? That might be worth picking up. I remember my friends and I had a blast playing the first one. Them moreso when i wasn't playing. Snorlax and Gengar were the bee's kness.

Agent_0042
2012-07-14, 06:55 PM
There's been one for each of the previous generations: Gen 1 -> Stadium, Gen 2 -> Stadium 2, Gen 3 -> Colloseum, Gen 4 -> Battle Revolution. There isn't any word yet of one for the current generation in the works.

boj0
2012-07-14, 08:45 PM
Well, technically *adjusts hipster glasses* Stadium 1 was a Japan-only release; the version in the States and the UK was actually Stadium 2, adjusted to all the fixes for Blue and Yellow. Thus, Stadium 2 for us was in reality Stadium 3.

NineThePuma
2012-07-14, 08:46 PM
Don't be a punk :smalltongue:

OracleofWuffing
2012-07-15, 12:05 AM
Well, picking up something I woulda said last topic but I saw we were at 50 pages, I kinda thought Serperior was supposed to be someone's idea of a mixed sweeper, and that's why I kept Growth on it instead of going with Coil like everyone else who is smarter than me did. I kinda would like to see him play out in a Sunny Day team to double-dip that strategy, but I guess everyone that runs Sunny Day already has Chlorophyl pokemon that are taking his thunder and possibly run Growth, too.

So, yeah, Serperior needs Aeroblast.

Grue Bait
2012-07-15, 01:16 AM
I'm just gonna grab that checkmark so I can lurk better.

Hi guys.

Forrestfire
2012-07-15, 02:48 AM
I've been building a team for semicasual play with friends, and I have a quandry as to how I should equip the Poison Heal Gliscor I'm going to have on it.

The rest of the team is:

Adamant Crustle 172 HP/252 Atk/84 SpD [Stealth Rock/Spikes/Stone Edge/X-Scissor] (Lum Berry) (Sturdy)
Modest Galvantula 252 SpA/4 SpD/252 Spe [Thunder/Bug Buzz/Volt Switch/Energy Ball] (Life Orb) (Compoundeyes)
Modest Chandelure 252 SpA/4 SpD/252 Spe [Fire Blast/Shadow Ball/Substitute/Energy Ball] (Leftovers) (Flash Fire)
Adamant Scizor 252 HP/40 Atk/216 SpD [Bullet Punch/Bug Bite/Swords Dance/Roost] (Life Orb) (Technician)
Bold Milotic 252 HP/252 Def/4 SpA [Ice Beam/Scald/Recover/Dragon Tail] (Leftovers)

The originally planned gliscor was:

Impish Gliscor 252 HP/184 Def/72 Spe [Earthquake/Substitute/Toxic/Protect] (Toxic Orb) (Poison Heal)

The main I'm trying to figure out is what moveset I should have on him. I already have a great physical wall in Milotic, so I could use Gliscor as planned, or I could give him swords dance and Ice Fang to go dragon hunting. Anyone have advice?

(Advice on the rest of the team is welcome, too)

tgva8889
2012-07-15, 08:28 AM
I'll get to working on breeding that Gligar right away. I've been distracted recently with my Nuzlocke run and really wanted to get catching Ho-oh out of the way. Now that I have, I'll start breeding some Gligars. Do you want specifically a Male Impish Poison Heal Gligar, or would you be fine with a female Poison Heal Gligar of any nature?

Edit: Well that's interesting...Apparently I was wrong and don't have a Dream World Gligar to breed with. Sorry about that... :smallsigh:

Forrestfire
2012-07-15, 01:16 PM
Ah ok :smallfrown:. Thanks anyway :smallbiggrin:

Now then, does anyone have a dream world (Immunity) Gligar for trade? Female with nothing specifically set is fine, because I'm perfectly willing to breed my own. I have a good amount of pokemon for trade (the entire Sinnoh and Unova pokedexes, half of Johto and Kanto, and a few Hoenn.) and am willing to breed something specific for you nature-and-species-wise.

EDIT: Crisis averted :smallsmile:.

tgva8889
2012-07-15, 01:22 PM
Oh, wait! I think I do have one, but it's hiding in my Link Garden...place. Lost Woods, is that what it's called? Whatever. Let me go look over there...

Yep, found it! I knew I had one of those. Give me a little while it make you an Immunity Gligar.

Edit: So my plan is to make you a Female Immunity Impish Gligar, at the least (I have to make one for myself anyways) but if you don't care, I can give you the first female I get.

Forrestfire
2012-07-15, 06:59 PM
Either one works, whatever is easiest for you. I have that Adamant Beldum you wanted ready, so take your time :smallbiggrin:

Also, I felt like sharing this "challenge" I made up for my first playthrough of Black and White 2:

The Champion Challenge

Rules:

1. Start by choosing a Pokemon League champion to play as

2. Your starter is a level 5 version of that champion's signature pokemon. It knows no egg moves or TM moves. The nature is one of your choosing, and it may have its hidden ability if you so wish.

-[B]Blue: Charmander/Squirtle/Bulbasaur
-Lance: Dratini
-Steven: Beldum
-Wallace: Milotic
-Cynthia: Gible
-Alder: Larvesta
-Iris: Axew

3. Every time you defeat a gym leader, you may opt to receive one of the chosen Champion's other pokemon for use in your team. The pokemon arrives at a level equal to 5 lower than your most recently acquired teammate. They know no egg moves or TM moves, and may have their hidden ability. Pokemon you can choose from are:

-Blue: Magikarp, Pidgey, Rhyhorn, Abra, Exeggcute, Growlithe, Heracross, Larvitar, Machop, Aerodactyl
-Lance: Dratini (up to 2 more), Magikarp, Aerodactyl, Charmander, Bagon, Gabite, Swablu, Horsea
-Steven: Skarmory, Lileep, Baltoy, Anorith, Aron, Registeel
-Wallace: Wailmer, Magikarp, Tentacool, Barboach, Lotad, Luvdisc, Sealeo, Goldeen, Clampearl
-Cynthia: Spiritomb, Riolu, Budew, Milotic, Togepi, Shellos, Glaceon
-Alder: Karrablast, Bouffalant, Druddigon, Vanilluxe, Shelmet, Timburr, Rufflet,
-Iris: Axew, Druddigon, Deino, Aron, Archen, Lapras, Bagon

4. You may catch or be gifted other pokemon, but all non-plot-essential pokemon must be kept in a computer box until after you have received the national pokedex.

Othesemo
2012-07-15, 07:04 PM
Either one works, whatever is easiest for you. I have that Adamant Beldum you wanted ready, so take your time :smallbiggrin:

Also, I felt like sharing this "challenge" I made up for my first playthrough of Black and White 2:

The Champion Challenge

Rules:

1. Start by choosing a Pokemon League champion to play as

2. Your starter is a level 5 version of that champion's signature pokemon. It knows no egg moves or TM moves. The nature is one of your choosing, and it may have its hidden ability if you so wish.

-[B]Blue: Charmander/Squirtle/Bulbasaur
-Lance: Dratini
-Steven: Beldum
-Wallace: Milotic
-Cynthia: Gabite
-Alder: Larvesta
-Iris: Axew

3. Every time you defeat a gym leader, you may opt to receive one of the chosen Champion's other pokemon for use in your team. The pokemon arrives at a level equal to 5 lower than your most recently acquired teammate. They know no egg moves or TM moves, and may have their hidden ability. Pokemon you can choose from are:

-Blue: Magikarp, Pidgey, Rhyhorn, Abra, Exeggcute, Growlithe, Heracross, Larvitar, Machop, Aerodactyl
-Lance: Dratini (up to 2 more), Magikarp, Aerodactyl, Charmander, Bagon, Gabite, Swablu, Horsea
-Steven: Skarmory, Lileep, Baltoy, Anorith, Aron, Registeel
-Wallace: Wailmer, Magikarp, Tentacool, Barboach, Lotad, Luvdisc, Sealeo, Goldeen, Clampearl
-Cynthia: Spiritomb, Riolu, Budew, Milotic, Togepi, Shellos, Glaceon
-Alder: Karrablast, Bouffalant, Druddigon, Vanilluxe, Shelmet, Timburr, Rufflet,
-Iris: Axew, Druddigon, Deino, Aron, Archen, Lapras, Bagon

4. You may catch or be gifted other pokemon, but all non-plot-essential pokemon must be kept in a computer box until after you have received the national pokedex.

Sounds fun. Out of curiosity, can you speak Japanese, or is there an English ROM available?

Forrestfire
2012-07-15, 07:08 PM
When I say I made it for my first playthrough of BW2, it meant that I'm going to be doing it come October.

Sorry for the confusion. :smallredface:

Othesemo
2012-07-15, 07:38 PM
When I say I made it for my first playthrough of BW2, it meant that I'm going to be doing it come October.

Sorry for the confusion. :smallredface:

Ah, sorry. No problem.

Though it would be pretty cool if somebody actually made an English ROM. Is that actually possible?

Mando Knight
2012-07-15, 07:51 PM
Possible? As soon as someone gets a Japanese ROM then makes a translation patch for it... but considering how long fan translations take for some other games, it's probable that the official localization will come out first. And depending on the skill of the fan translator, it could be a "blind idiot" translation (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BlindIdiotTranslation), rather than the rather well-handled localizations that we've been getting.

Considering that we'll only be four months behind Japan, I don't know if anyone will feel that it's a good idea to make an early translation patch.

Aotrs Commander
2012-07-15, 07:57 PM
Possible? As soon as someone gets a Japanese ROM then makes a translation patch for it... but considering how long fan translations take for some other games, it's probable that the official localization will come out first. And depending on the skill of the fan translator, it could be a "blind idiot" translation (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BlindIdiotTranslation), rather than the rather well-handled localizations that we've been getting.

Considering that we'll only be four months behind Japan, I don't know if anyone will feel that it's a good idea to make an early translation patch.

Yeah, it's not like we could be waiting for ages like in the earlier generations; it's only October, when all's said and done.

boj0
2012-07-15, 09:25 PM
There are a few people on Youtube I've seen with partially translated patches, most of the basic dialogue is still in Japanese, but most of the battle options and item descriptions are translated

dragonsamurai77
2012-07-16, 03:17 PM
50 hours into Conquest, and I still have 9 missions left (+ Wi-Fi ones + the hero's one). I like how expansive the postgame is, but this is a little ridiculous.

tgva8889
2012-07-16, 03:35 PM
Forrestfire Update: I've got a Lonely Female Immunity Gligar. I'm still working on breeding an Impish one (I want one anyways) and it's taking a surprisingly annoying amount of time. I can get you an Impish Female Immunity Gligar if you'd like, it just might be a day or two of breeding. That okay with you?

Forrestfire
2012-07-16, 04:18 PM
Totally fine by me. You're the one who's going out of his way to get me this :smalltongue:

Just don't forget to name it "Nos"

tgva8889
2012-07-16, 04:46 PM
Does it matter what the mother of your brood is named? I thought your plan was to breed an actually good Gligar from this one.

Forrestfire
2012-07-16, 06:04 PM
Ah, sorry for the confusion. I meant to say that I was fine with waiting for a good one (in which case I'd want it named).

EDIT: Sounds good to me. Again, whatever works for you is fine by me.

tgva8889
2012-07-16, 07:46 PM
I was just going to get you an Impish Female for ease in your own breeding. Save you some steps, rather than making you go through all the same steps I have to go through to start breeding.

OracleofWuffing
2012-07-18, 02:53 AM
Because we keep having bursts of card game discussion on occasion, today's Penny Arcade (http://penny-arcade.com/comic/2012/07/18) reminded me that I had a no-energy deck that wrecked a few dudes (in the card game video game). I understand there's been no-energy attacks for some time now, is that sort of strategy kinda more-viable now?

Also, I should schedule some sort of thing aside because I saw there's been a new translation for TCG 2, it might be fun to Let's Play.

boj0
2012-07-18, 07:32 AM
Stuff about the card game
I wish I had actually learned how to play that instead of just collecting them, I had a Charizard and knew it was awesome, but never actually used it. :smallfrown:

So after someone told me that having the same phone for 5 years is kind of lame, I finally upgraded to one of those "smart phones" that all these kids are talking about, and hey what do you know?

Pokemon Online has an Android app! :smallbiggrin:

That isn't updated to PO v2 yet... :smallannoyed:

Agent_0042
2012-07-18, 09:10 AM
Because we keep having bursts of card game discussion on occasion, today's Penny Arcade (http://penny-arcade.com/comic/2012/07/18) reminded me that I had a no-energy deck that wrecked a few dudes (in the card game video game). I understand there's been no-energy attacks for some time now, is that sort of strategy kinda more-viable now? Not in the current format. Gyarados ([url=http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Gyarados_(Stormfront_19)), Mightyena (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Mightyena_(Platinum_54)), and Yanmega (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Yanmega_(Triumphant_98)) were things until they were rotated out (we lose Yanmega this year), but there aren't any decent energyless attackers from Black-and-White on, which is the upcoming rotation. There are tons of good one energy attackers, though.

tgva8889
2012-07-18, 01:50 PM
From what I've seen of Black and White, the first few Black and White sets felt like a return to the original game. A lot of the cards were definite call-backs.

OracleofWuffing
2012-07-18, 06:26 PM
I wish I had actually learned how to play that instead of just collecting them, I had a Charizard and knew it was awesome, but never actually used it. :smallfrown:
Sounds like it was probably this card (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/File:CharizardBaseSet4.jpg). It got incredibly hyped and kinda overinflated in value back in the day. I mean, it's pretty spiffy, and it can use any kind of energy card, but you basically had to rely on a stream of Double Colorless Energy (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/File:DoubleColorlessEnergyBaseSet96.jpg) to keep attacking with it (The short explanation is, you see all those red orbs with fire on them on Charizard's card? That means you need to have four "Fire Energy" cards attached to the card in order to use that attack. You can only attach 1 energy card per turn, so you need at least 4 turns to attack once, but Double Colorless Energy provides two "Normal Energy" and Charizard treats all energy cards attached to him as "Fire Energy," so you could cut that down time to 2). Granted, it obliterated anything short of Chansey (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/File:ChanseyBaseSet3.jpg) back in the day, but every deck had four Energy Removals (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/File:BS92EnergyRemoval.jpg) and Charizard took double damage from water, which was a really powerful and frequent type. (Blastoise (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/File:BlastoiseBaseSet2.jpg) lets you attach as many Water Energy cards as you want per turn to any Water pokemon, with very little threat to itself.)

The TGC2 Video Game's based just after the Team Rocket expansion came out, but the thing is, I stopped following the cards after the eReader line. I really think the funnest part of a play through on that would be seeing how the game's "different" now and what sort of strategies wouldn't work any more. The basics are still the same, though.

Not in the current format. Gyarados ([url=http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Gyarados_(Stormfront_19)), Mightyena (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Mightyena_(Platinum_54)), and Yanmega (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Yanmega_(Triumphant_98)) were things until they were rotated out (we lose Yanmega this year), but there aren't any decent energyless attackers from Black-and-White on, which is the upcoming rotation. There are tons of good one energy attackers, though.
Ah, thanks. Those all don't look too particularly helpful, I was hoping for something more along the lines of shuffling cards into the deck, but that's probably more of a Trainer card thing as well.

Mercenary Pen
2012-07-18, 06:34 PM
Sounds like it was probably this card (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/File:CharizardBaseSet4.jpg). It got incredibly hyped and kinda overinflated in value back in the day. I mean, it's pretty spiffy, and it can use any kind of energy card, but you basically had to rely on a stream of Double Colorless Energy (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/File:DoubleColorlessEnergyBaseSet96.jpg) to keep attacking with it (The short explanation is, you see all those red orbs with fire on them on Charizard's card? That means you need to have four "Fire Energy" cards attached to the card in order to use that attack. You can only attach 1 energy card per turn, so you need at least 4 turns to attack once, but Double Colorless Energy provides two "Normal Energy" and Charizard treats all energy cards attached to him as "Fire Energy," so you could cut that down time to 2). Granted, it obliterated anything short of Chansey (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/File:ChanseyBaseSet3.jpg) back in the day, but every deck had four Energy Removals (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/File:BS92EnergyRemoval.jpg) and Charizard took double damage from water, which was a really powerful and frequent type. (Blastoise (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/File:BlastoiseBaseSet2.jpg) lets you attach as many Water Energy cards as you want per turn to any Water pokemon, with very little threat to itself.)

There was also the possibility of splashing that Charizard into a Rain Dance Blastoise deck, combining Rain Dance and Energy Burn to reload Charizard even quicker... I even recall people who combined it with the Energy Trans power on Venusaur to speed up Reloading times.

tgva8889
2012-07-18, 06:39 PM
There was also the possibility of splashing that Charizard into a Rain Dance Blastoise deck, combining Rain Dance and Energy Burn to reload Charizard even quicker... I even recall people who combined it with the Energy Trans power on Venusaur to speed up Reloading times.

That doesn't work, unless your Charizard somehow became Water-type.

Charizard's biggest problem is that it can only attack every other turn pretty much no matter what you do. Using two Double Colorless Energy would just result in you discarding both, because you have to discard energy cards to use Charizard's attack.

Energy Removal is one of the biggest things missing these days. That and all the numbers on every Pokemon are higher than they used to be. Pokemon nowadays have attacks that hit for 120+ with minor drawbacks and have 180HP.

Mercenary Pen
2012-07-18, 06:45 PM
That doesn't work, unless your Charizard somehow became Water-type.

Charizard's biggest problem is that it can only attack every other turn pretty much no matter what you do. Using two Double Colorless Energy would just result in you discarding both, because you have to discard energy cards to use Charizard's attack.

Energy Removal is one of the biggest things missing these days. That and all the numbers on every Pokemon are higher than they used to be. Pokemon nowadays have attacks that hit for 120+ with minor drawbacks and have 180HP.

Fair enough, its been a while, and I think in retrospect that was one of those exploits that came about because neither player read the card quite correctly- the Venusaur trick does work though, but needs a few turns of setup first...

OracleofWuffing
2012-07-18, 06:57 PM
For what it's worth, the card has been reprinted and it lacks the "cards" part on that discard now. Sadly, it probably still can't compete nowadays. I can't remember off the top of my head which way the video game rules, though. Mostly because, yes, I blitzed through the game on Rain Dance whenever possible.

tgva8889
2012-07-18, 07:13 PM
For what it's worth, the card has been reprinted and it lacks the "cards" part on that discard now. Sadly, it probably still can't compete nowadays. I can't remember off the top of my head which way the video game rules, though. Mostly because, yes, I blitzed through the game on Rain Dance whenever possible.

The video game forces you to discard multiple energy cards when you discard a Double Colorless Energy, I'm pretty sure. And the changes in wording don't change how the card works: "discard 2 energy" still means "discard 2 energy cards attached to this."

Agent_0042
2012-07-18, 09:09 PM
Energy Removal is one of the biggest things missing these days. You don't even know, man. :smalltongue: We have Crush Hammer (http://pokebeach.com/scans/emerging-powers/92-crushing-hammer.jpg), Energy Removal that requires a coin flip to work, and even then you still see four of them in most decks.

RE: Charizard, Ninetales (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Ninetales_%28Base_Set_12%29) was the real boss. 80 every turn, instead of 120 every two? Yes, please.

tgva8889
2012-07-18, 09:38 PM
I've watched the new game a bit. I've seen it. Removing energy is just so necessary for controlling some strategies.

OracleofWuffing
2012-07-19, 12:34 AM
The video game forces you to discard multiple energy cards when you discard a Double Colorless Energy, I'm pretty sure.
Yup, just checked on my end. So it's more for having that ideal turn 2 Fire Spin, but not much else.:smallfrown:

And the changes in wording don't change how the card works:
Was that an official ruling somewhere? Generally speaking, when you change the wording of a rule, the way the rule works changes. And, uh, your last post kind of emphasized that things work this way because the word "cards" was used.:smallconfused: I couldn't find anything in the most recent rulebook indicating that "$foo Energy" means the same thing as "Energy Card," and all the other pseudo-official resources I could dig up are still running off the old text and specify "cards" as the reason why as well.

:smallsigh: Then again, it looks like the most recent rulebook is in direct contradiction with the most recent Organized Play Tournament rules over what Sudden Death is, which is a huge headache because I remember back in the day there was the whole Attack-Resolution Order of Operations thingy that made it virtually impossible to get in to Sudden Death anyways and aaaaaaaaaaa- :smalltongue:

Nevermind, someone decided it's a good idea to shove the Video Game Organized Play Rules with the Card Game Organized play rules and I got confused between the two.:smallredface:

Attack Resolution order of operations is still a headache, though.

Edit again: :smallconfused: Wait, how the heck can you get a tie on the video games in tournament rules?

Aotrs Commander
2012-07-19, 09:40 AM
So, I'm assuming that the DW only gives you a random chance of connecting to someone who's currently online or something. I went on with my White game, ad spent most of the hour (actually timed out for the first time ever) searching for a) anyone I recognised (me ideally, since I've encountered a lot of islands with the same user-name, which I assume makes it possible) or b) anyone with EV reducer berries on their share shelf. (One chap had, like two, but no-one else.)

Notably, the same names kept coming up time and again, leading to the same cluster of dream pals. I wouldn't have expected that should happen several times, if it was randomly picking islands from the entire available ones.

*sigh* More luck-based tedium, DW could REAAALLLY use a method in which to link up dream pals (I dunno, using the friend code or something, since we already have those!!). All the random wandering is just tiresome.

tgva8889
2012-07-19, 12:02 PM
I mean, the most likely literal reading of the new wording of Charizard is that it turns Double Colorless Energy into the equivalent of basic Fire Energy. Literal readings never worked that way. I think all such cards that required you to discard energy have always required you to discard the specific cards anyways. Usually the word "discard" implies cards anyways.

OracleofWuffing
2012-07-19, 12:38 PM
I mean, the most likely literal reading of the new wording of Charizard is that it turns Double Colorless Energy into the equivalent of basic Fire Energy. Literal readings never worked that way. I think all such cards that required you to discard energy have always required you to discard the specific cards anyways. Usually the word "discard" implies cards anyways.
Yeah, I kind of felt that the ruling was wonky, apparently WotC made the ruling that Double Colorless Energy provides two Fire Energy back when they were managing the game, so maybe the whole thing's just founded on inertia and on-the-fly reading.

*sigh* More luck-based tedium, DW could REAAALLLY use a method in which to link up dream pals (I dunno, using the friend code or something, since we already have those!!). All the random wandering is just tiresome.
Apparently, Dream World had that functionality, but it was removed when it launched outside of Japan. Ideally, we could keep a list of everybody's "stranger" Dream Pals, and then by playing three degrees of someone's name here, we might connect together. Shoot, I should log in sometime, too.

boj0
2012-07-19, 05:36 PM
Wait, how the heck can you get a tie on the video games in tournament rules?

In tournaments, later rounds use a best of 3; otherwise in a normal match the only one I can think is a recoil double down? Everything else either breaks Self KO clause (which I believe Nintendo still uses) or doesn't trigger before the game checks to see who's still active.

I checked the 2012 VGC rules and they don't have anything on the subject.

Ryuho Tsugu
2012-07-19, 06:15 PM
Apparently, Dream World had that functionality, but it was removed when it launched outside of Japan. Ideally, we could keep a list of everybody's "stranger" Dream Pals, and then by playing three degrees of someone's name here, we might connect together. Shoot, I should log in sometime, too.

Something I came across: How to Make Dream Pals 2 (http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f323/how-make-dream-pals-2-a-109976/).

Even if we did make a list of our Dream Pals, there's a high chance we wouldn't even be on the same server to find each other on.

OracleofWuffing
2012-07-19, 06:27 PM
Something I came across: How to Make Dream Pals 2 (http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f323/how-make-dream-pals-2-a-109976/).
I

Buh

Wha

Nintendo, I've been taking potshots at SEGA for how horrid PSO2's backend must be all month. I don't have time to point out how silly you're being. :smallannoyed:

Well, then, now that we've confirmed the only reason why that functionality doesn't exist is because there isn't a view to allow it, um, I'm on World 4 and my id is 971082. We can at least keep track of who's on what world, because, I mean, one in four chance isn't too bad.* Also, my last activity was tucking in Smeargle on the last day of March.

*Yes I realize the server picked is probably not random and actually based on server load and other variables so statistically that's inaccurate, but dang it, let me keep this simple. :smallannoyed:

tgva8889
2012-07-19, 06:28 PM
That'd probably be useful for you guys, as I have over 80 of every EV-reducing berry.

World: 1
ID: 1218227

Mando Knight
2012-07-19, 06:28 PM
There's only four servers, so actually there's a good chance that we'll each be able to visit some of each others'.

I'm 958265 in World 1, by the way.

Aotrs Commander
2012-07-19, 06:33 PM

Even if we did make a list of our Dream Pals, there's a high chance we wouldn't even be on the same server to find each other on.

Well, I'll give that a try tomorrow. Worth a shot, right?

Edit: Both World 4 (Galwen)

Black 1476151

White 2257536

As a note, as standard practise, I leave one of each type of EV berry and one Lum on my Black share shelf (and continually grow and restock the EVs and nowt else), restocked every time I log on (berry supply withstanding). I'll be doing the same with my White as soon as I can.

And THIS is probably how all those people I saw had managed to make themselves their own Dream Pals!

Mando Knight
2012-07-19, 06:33 PM
Once we get a few, I'll add a table to the OP.

OracleofWuffing
2012-07-19, 06:34 PM
There's only four servers, so actually there's a good chance that we'll each be able to visit some of each others'.

I'm 958265 in World 1, by the way.

World: 1
ID: 1218227
Last edited by tgva8889 : Today at 06:32 PM.

Well, that was fast.:smalltongue:

Well, I'll give that a try tomorrow. Worth a shot, right?

Edit: Both World 4 (Galwen)

Black 1476151

White 2257536
Booyah, friend me, I remember having a very good supply of EV berries. I might not be on tonight, though.

Ryuho Tsugu
2012-07-19, 06:39 PM
World 1, ID 979948 (Black)/1523220 (White).

My Dream Pal lists are full up, though. I wish there would be a notification that popped up when you send a request to someone at the cap; I feel bad for these people that make requests of me, knowing I can't tell them "sorry, already at 20".

tgva8889
2012-07-19, 06:41 PM
I've started leaving EV berries on my share shelf. I found out I actually have over 100 of each. You know, just in case. I guess.

I am being the crazy person who tries to collect every item in Dream World, so if you have anything particularly rare or cool (but isn't particularly useful in-game), I'll take it.

Forrestfire
2012-07-19, 07:26 PM
I wish EV berries were obtainable in-game in Black and White... For the longest time, I didn't have an internet that would connect to my DS so I could not try to get them.

tgva8889
2012-07-19, 08:42 PM
Black and White, of the games with Berries, has the worst Berry mechanics besides maybe FR/LG.

OracleofWuffing
2012-07-19, 09:33 PM
:smallmad: Well, I thought I had a bunch of EV berries. I had read that they were going to change it so that if you hadn't logged in in a while, your planted berries would disappear and become dream points. Sadly, that must have been a misreading, because it just 1'ed out all of my berries that weren't planted. I'm now 6000 dream points richer, which means a whole lot because I already had enough dream points to go anywhere I wanted to. No, really, thanks.

Sent a couple of friend requests, so if you want EV berries, I'd better be getting my garden watered.

Aotrs Commander
2012-07-20, 07:51 AM
Well, I've Dream Pal'd you Oracle, watered your plants and raided your share shelf!

Then I discovered you can switch between game cards and use the DW with both, provided you're within your one-hour per day DW (clearly per account) limit. (So the trick is, Gamesync both games before entering the DW.)

So I Dream Pal'd Oracle and me with my Black and raided my share shelf, so White now has all six EV berries. Huzzah!

And, I know how to get sorted for BW2 in the fullness of time.

And I restocked Black's share shelf and added leppa berry, now mine have fruited.

No useful Pokemon off the DW this time,but knowing I need to use a water-type seriously helps (my next quest is to grab a DW female Corphish...)

I concur with Forrestfire though; DWing the berries is way more of a pain than in any other generation.

Though, I suppose, if you only have one DS to hand, it is easier - now we know how - to transfer them game to game even fairly early, giving you plenty of time to accumulate a store by the time you actually need some.

I'm trying to hit up the DW quite a bit over this week, since a week tomorrow, I'll be going away and - last night's trawl through White aside! - that's when I tend to do most of my Pokemoning. (Which explains why I'm so slow!)

Mindfreak
2012-07-21, 07:19 AM
So...how about those Freeze Bolt/Cold Flare Scans? (http://pokebeach.com/2012/07/bw6-freeze-bolt-and-cold-flare)
*Hopes this is the right place for TCG talk*

NineThePuma
2012-07-21, 08:52 AM
Right place, if I'm not mistaken, but I haven't touched the TCG in years so I don't even know what I'm looking at.

Mindfreak
2012-07-21, 10:19 AM
Those would be the scans and translations of the most recent set in Japan that we'll be getting in around November. :smallbiggrin:

OracleofWuffing
2012-07-21, 02:09 PM
Heh, that's hilarious, Scyther's still being a poster boy for fitting in to any deck. Though, those Pokemon-Ex cards do look attra- *sees Scizor* -Oh, I see what they did there.:smallamused:

Also, Celebi passes wind to attack, giggle giggle giggle.

Mando Knight
2012-07-21, 04:09 PM
Is it just me, or is the new Charizard way better than the ones that came before?

Qwertystop
2012-07-21, 04:33 PM
Heh, that's hilarious, Scyther's still being a poster boy for fitting in to any deck. Though, those Pokemon-Ex cards do look attra- *sees Scizor* -Oh, I see what they did there.:smallamused:

Also, Celebi passes wind to attack, giggle giggle giggle.

I don't get it (about Scizor).

Also, why are there two copies of every EX, with no difference other than picture?

Mando Knight
2012-07-21, 04:45 PM
I don't get it (about Scizor).

Also, why are there two copies of every EX, with no difference other than picture?

The second one is the much rarer full-card art.

Scizor (or at least the one in Cold Flare) has a move that makes it immune to Pokémon-EX attacks the next turn.

Mindfreak
2012-07-21, 05:52 PM
Is it just me, or is the new Charizard way better than the ones that came before?
Yeah, the Charizard is pretty awesome. Combine it with the Emboar that let's you put as many Fire Type energies from your hand onto one of your Pokemon before you attack...you could be using Burn Out pretty dang fast!

And yes, Full-Arts are more rare. I've only pulled 2 full-arts from the around 100 packs I've bought. 1 from Next Destinies(Kyurem) and 1 from Dark Explorers(Groudon EX).
Though I've pulled 3 regular EXs(Mewtwo, Darkrai, Tornadus).

OracleofWuffing
2012-07-21, 11:01 PM
Scizor (or at least the one in Cold Flare) has a move that makes it immune to Pokémon-EX attacks the next turn.
For what it's worth for people that don't play the game, it's an attack that uses colorless energy, which means that said attack can be "powered" using any energy type. In simpler terms, if you are afraid of being squashed by a Pokemon-EX, no matter what deck you're running, you can chuck in Scyther and Scizor and wall them away until they switch out or force you to switch out. I don't know how easy this is to do now, looks like the big switchy card in that set is Escape Rope, which switches both pokemon but gives both players a choice of which pokemon to switch in to. Back-in-meh-day, we had a card called Gust of Win for matters like this one, but for some odd reason they kept misprinting the name of the card every release.

And to overexplain the joke, the first Scyther (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/File:ScytherJungle10.jpg) card also had an attack that required colorless energy, and was used even in decks that didn't run Grass energy because Hitmonchan (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/File:HitmonchanBaseSet7.jpg) was a very popular card which Scyther resisted.

My only rarer-than-rare cards are Shining Charizard and Shining Kabutops. No, it's okay to continue laughing.:smalltongue:

Mercenary Pen
2012-07-22, 03:46 AM
Yeah, the Charizard is pretty awesome. Combine it with the Emboar that let's you put as many Fire Type energies from your hand onto one of your Pokemon before you attack...you could be using Burn Out pretty dang fast!

As far as setting up Charizard is concerned, even the new Freeze Bolt Charmander appears to be no slouch in a pinch... and the sheer proportion of Burn Out's cost that can be filled using Colorless energy is going to help too.

Agent_0042
2012-07-22, 07:36 AM
Back-in-meh-day, we had a card called Gust of Win for matters like this one, but for some odd reason they kept misprinting the name of the card every release.

Yeah, their spelling just keeps getting worse (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon_Catcher_%28Emerging_Powers_95%29).

As far as setting up Charizard is concerned, even the new Freeze Bolt Charmander appears to be no slouch in a pinch... and the sheer proportion of Burn Out's cost that can be filled using Colorless energy is going to help too.

I want to make it work in a deck so badly, but it's in an incredibly awkward spot. Five energy means that, in actual play, you're going to be swinging on turn 3 at best, when most decent decks are mostly set up by turn 3 at worst. The damage is also in an odd spot - it misses the OHKO on most EX's by 20 or 30, and there's plenty of other cards hit for 120 or 130 (enough to OHKO nearly any non-EX) for far cheaper. It's pretty much as awesomely impractical as Base Set 'Zard.

Terry576
2012-07-22, 01:00 PM
Dear Diary, today I learned that Romhackers have NO sense of difficulty.

I was Nuzlocking Light Platinum because I love and relish punishment, and the first trainer, on Route 1, had 5 pokemon, one of which knew rollout. Against my level 7 Charmander.

whaaaaat

tgva8889
2012-07-23, 02:35 AM
And to overexplain the joke, the first Scyther (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/File:ScytherJungle10.jpg) card also had an attack that required colorless energy, and was used even in decks that didn't run Grass energy because Hitmonchan (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/File:HitmonchanBaseSet7.jpg) was a very popular card which Scyther resisted.

It was used in many decks because 1) Fire was terrible 2) None of its attacks required specific energy 3) When relevant, Gyrados was weak to Grass 4) Free Retreat 5) High-HP Basic 6) Mostly the Free Retreat, I mean honestly.

To clarify the extent that Scyther was used in the original run of the tournament circuit: I have about 8 decks that I used. 6 of them had 4 copies of Scyther and 4 copies of Double Colorless Energy mostly because it was good with Scyther.

*stops overexplaining joke and sits in a corner*

Mindfreak
2012-07-23, 09:37 AM
Yeah, their spelling just keeps getting worse (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon_Catcher_%28Emerging_Powers_95%29).

I want to make it work in a deck so badly, but it's in an incredibly awkward spot. Five energy means that, in actual play, you're going to be swinging on turn 3 at best, when most decent decks are mostly set up by turn 3 at worst. The damage is also in an odd spot - it misses the OHKO on most EX's by 20 or 30, and there's plenty of other cards hit for 120 or 130 (enough to OHKO nearly any non-EX) for far cheaper. It's pretty much as awesomely impractical as Base Set 'Zard.
I'd be using bomb in the beginning though. It's just like Kyoger EX's Dual Splash which my friend is currently using in his deck and it's ANNOYING.
Which Charizard is better thanks to not being an EX :smallsmile:

tgva8889
2012-07-23, 11:45 PM
The biggest problem is, of course, that Reishiram is probably better than something you have to actually evolve into. I mean, Emboar decks already pretty much have to play Ninetails because it's amazing.

Aotrs Commander
2012-07-24, 12:39 PM
The frag...?

Last couple of times I used the DW, I got both games synched up and was able to use both... But it wouldn't let me get on with my Black today, despite not doing anything different.

Forrestfire
2012-07-26, 10:08 AM
Out of curiosity, does anyone know if putting a pokemon in a box lowers friendship at all? I have an eevee at max happiness that I need to wait until nighttime for so I can get an umbreon...

dragonsamurai77
2012-07-26, 10:29 AM
Out of curiosity, does anyone know if putting a pokemon in a box lowers friendship at all? I have an eevee at max happiness that I need to wait until nighttime for so I can get an umbreon...

Bulbapedia says no (except for Yellow Pikachu).

Forrestfire
2012-07-26, 10:34 AM
Thanks. (It totally slipped my mind to check bulbapedia. :smallredface:)

EDIT: Out of curiosity, does anybody have any pokemon from these evolutionary lines for trade?

Lapras
Chikorita/Bayleaf/Meganium
Totodile/Crocnaw/Feraligatr
Azurill/Marill/Azumarill
Aipom/Ambipom
Snubbull/Granbull
Miltank
Houndour/Houndoom
Skarmory
Phanphy/Donphan
Elekid/Electabuzz/Electivire
Magby/Magmar/Magmortar
Treecko/Grovyle/Sceptile
Torchic/Combusken/Blaziken
Mudkip/Marshtomp/Swampert
Wurmple/Silcoon/Cascoon/Beautifly/Dustox
Lotad/Lombre/Ludicolo
Ralts/Kirlia/Gardevoir/Gallade
Shroomish/Breloom
Slakoth/Vigoroth/Slaking
Nincada/Ninjask
Whismur/Loudred/Exploud
Makuhita/Hariyama
Nosepass/Probopass
Skitty/Delakitty
Electrike/Manectric
Plusle
Volbeat
Gulpin/Swalot
Numel/Camerupt
Torkoal
Spinda
Trapinch/Vibrava/Flygon
Cacnea/Cacturne
Corphis/Crawdaunt
Castform
Kekleon
Duskull/Duskclops/Dusknoir
Snorunt/Glalie/Frosslass
Spheal/Sealeo/Walrein
Burmy/Wormadam/Mothim
Female Combee/Vespiqueen
Pachirisu
Buneary/Lopunny
Glameow/Purugly
Stunky/Skuntank
Mime Jr./Mr. Mime
Gible/Gabite/Garchomp
Skorupi/Drapion
Carnivine
Snover/Abomasnow
Mewtwo
Mew
Ho-Oh
Regirock
Regice
Registeel
Regigigas
Groudon
Kyogre
Rayquaza
Deoxys
Phione
Manaphy
Darkrai
Shaymin
Arceus

Long list, I know... I just felt like throwing it all out there in case anyone has anything. I have a large amount of common pokemon, I can breed some with wanted natures, and I have several with 31 in a specific stat. On the front of the legendaries, I don't have much other than some extra event legends (the Legendary Beasts, Celebi) and an extra Kyurem.

boj0
2012-07-26, 10:18 PM
Man I had the worst victory :smallfrown: I had my opponent down to a ttar and amoongus while I had a Skarmory out with a Heatran and Terrakion in the wings. Hit the mushroom with a brave bird for over 60% hit again and crit, the guy calls me out on my "hax" and then rage quit. I had the audacity to get lucky I guess. I am the saddest of pandas right now

tgva8889
2012-07-26, 10:34 PM
I mean, it looks like you had that game in the bag hax or no. If you want to play a game without hax, don't play Pokemon. The mechanics are created such that hax is just part of the game.

Forrestfire
2012-07-26, 10:43 PM
Luck can be really wonky in pokemon sometimes. Actually, today I was playing with some friends. My scizor got thunder waved, then stayed paralyzed for 4 turns in a row... It was kinda ridiculous.

elizasteave
2012-07-27, 01:09 AM
Paralyzed for 4 turns ! And that also in a row !! that's kinda too long mate. How did you managed the rest of your game then ? But I would also say that you showed up a good patience, otherwise I would have had left the game when it would got paralyzed for the second time.

Forrestfire
2012-07-27, 01:32 AM
Eh, he had no rapid spinner, so my milotic phased his pokemon over three layers of spikes and a stealth rocks until they all died... It was still kinda ridiculous, though.

EDIT: The main reason I won is because he made the mistake of paralyzing my Milotic, which didn't lose any turns in addition to activating marvel scale. Luck is weird.

Aotrs Commander
2012-07-27, 04:55 AM
EDIT: Out of curiosity, does anybody have any pokemon from these evolutionary lines for trade?

Lapras
Chikorita/Bayleaf/Meganium
Totodile/Crocnaw/Feraligatr
Azurill/Marill/Azumarill
Aipom/Ambipom
Snubbull/Granbull
Miltank
Houndour/Houndoom
Skarmory
Phanphy/Donphan
Elekid/Electabuzz/Electivire
Magby/Magmar/Magmortar
Treecko/Grovyle/Sceptile
Torchic/Combusken/Blaziken
Mudkip/Marshtomp/Swampert
Wurmple/Silcoon/Cascoon/Beautifly/Dustox
Lotad/Lombre/Ludicolo
Ralts/Kirlia/Gardevoir/Gallade
Shroomish/Breloom
Slakoth/Vigoroth/Slaking
Nincada/Ninjask
Whismur/Loudred/Exploud
Makuhita/Hariyama
Nosepass/Probopass
Skitty/Delakitty
Electrike/Manectric
Plusle
Volbeat
Gulpin/Swalot
Numel/Camerupt
Torkoal
Spinda
Trapinch/Vibrava/Flygon
Cacnea/Cacturne
Corphis/Crawdaunt
Castform
Kekleon
Duskull/Duskclops/Dusknoir
Snorunt/Glalie/Frosslass
Spheal/Sealeo/Walrein
Burmy/Wormadam/Mothim
Female Combee/Vespiqueen
Pachirisu
Buneary/Lopunny
Glameow/Purugly
Stunky/Skuntank
Mime Jr./Mr. Mime
Gible/Gabite/Garchomp
Skorupi/Drapion
Carnivine
Snover/Abomasnow
Mewtwo
Mew
Ho-Oh
Regirock
Regice
Registeel
Regigigas
Groudon
Kyogre
Rayquaza
Deoxys
Phione
Manaphy
Darkrai
Shaymin
Arceus

Long list, I know... I just felt like throwing it all out there in case anyone has anything. I have a large amount of common pokemon, I can breed some with wanted natures, and I have several with 31 in a specific stat. On the front of the legendaries, I don't have much other than some extra event legends (the Legendary Beasts, Celebi) and an extra Kyurem.

Theoretically I have most of those squirreled away somewhere, and probably a fair proportion on my Black. On the down side, I'm going away tomorrow, so I don't have time to get anything sorted now.

Mercenary Pen
2012-07-27, 06:42 AM
Pokemon conquest has finally released here in the UK... and it is great fun so far.

boj0
2012-07-30, 02:17 PM
How would you guys rate Conquest? Haven't played any games like it, but based on a few friends and and my like of Pokemon, I'm willing to branch out...

NineThePuma
2012-07-30, 09:46 PM
9/10.

Haven't gotten into post game.

Mindfreak
2012-08-01, 09:16 AM
So...anyone else gone to a Dragons Exalted pre-release?
I'm going to one on Saturday and it's gonna rock ^_^

Qwertystop
2012-08-01, 11:05 AM
So...anyone else gone to a Dragons Exalted pre-release?
I'm going to one on Saturday and it's gonna rock ^_^

A what? Is this Pokemon related or did you post in the wrong thread?

Agent_0042
2012-08-01, 11:17 AM
A what? Is this Pokemon related or did you post in the wrong thread?

It's the new TCG set.

Qwertystop
2012-08-01, 11:29 AM
[QUOTE=Agent_0042;13653682]It's the new TCG set.[/QUOTE

Oh.

dragonsamurai77
2012-08-01, 11:55 AM
How would you guys rate Conquest? Haven't played any games like it, but based on a few friends and and my like of Pokemon, I'm willing to branch out...

It's really good, except that the post game drags on a bit too much, and there are only a few unique missions (most are just the same scenario but as a different character).

boj0
2012-08-01, 12:00 PM
It's really good, except that the post game drags on a bit too much, and there are only a few unique missions (most are just the same scenario but as a different character).

Soooo.... its Pokemon? :smalltongue::smallbiggrin:

Mercenary Pen
2012-08-01, 02:10 PM
Soooo.... its Pokemon? :smalltongue::smallbiggrin:

My main issue with Pokemon Conquest as opposed to either other pokemon games or similar genre games (to conquest) like Final Fantasy Tactics Advance is the lack of multiple attack techniques per pokemon, which does make battles rather more repetitive than they might otherwise be.

INoKnowNames
2012-08-01, 05:27 PM
Apparently I didn't need to make a new thread....

I've got Ruby, Saphire, Emerald, Heart Gold, Soul Silver, Diamond, Peal, Platinum, Black, and White, as well as Colliseum and Battle Revolution

I do know it is borderline impossible to have full records on every single cart, so I only intend to do it on one main game for each generation (Emerald, Platinum, Black 2 / White 2 when they come out, one or the other). And I can probably find other missing versions for anything specific I might not have during that generation.

But I'm basically going to start the games over again, and I intend to capture -every- single Pokemon in existance (using Gameshark/Action Replay for the special Event Pokemon only).

Are there any other games I'm missing for this sort of endeavor? What other tips should I consider for this project? And what of you guys? Have you captured all 150 151 251 386 493 649 Pokemon?

Forrestfire
2012-08-01, 05:48 PM
I'm sure at least several of the regular posters in this thread have completed the pokedex, and I know I plan on doing so.

Currently I've got 551/649, so I'm getting close.

INoKnowNames
2012-08-01, 05:54 PM
I'm sure at least several of the regular posters in this thread have completed the pokedex, and I know I plan on doing so.

Currently I've got 551/649, so I'm getting close.

So, it's dawned on me that I'm a Youngster talking to a bunch of Ace Trainers. :smallamused:

To be fair, it's 'cause I kinda stoped playing the games for a while... I was pretty good in school, and all but completed Emerald and Platinum with the other versions being used to fuel them before... but then the games got semi ****'ed up with the Action Replay (though I've seen what good it can do when used right), and I don't wanna corrupt my Black.

Random Question: I got a Victini when it came out. But I don't wanna reset that game and risk losing it. Is there a way to re-enable that event with codes yet?

Mando Knight
2012-08-01, 07:36 PM
Possibly, but probably not. Since it's an actual in-game event, it's different from simply sending you a link to how to get your own fake GTS and download a 'mon that way. Far as I know, it'd involve faking the Wonder Card that unlocks the event itself.

Confession time: I've never actually completed a National 'Dex. Always got bored before then, and a lot of the 'mons that I'm usually missing are either from another region (usually Hoenn, as I don't have any of those games... the region's never appealed to me, really) or an evolutionary stage I haven't bothered to work for (Munchlax, Porygon-Z, more than one Eeveelution...). Don't mistake my incomplete 'dex or my monotyped sweeper team for inexperience... I've played through all the regions but Hoenn and the team just conforms to my preferences in both play style and aesthetics. That, and I tend to stay away from PvP in practice because the whole thing has a rather sour taste for me.

tgva8889
2012-08-01, 08:09 PM
Yeah, I don't think I have any games with a completed Dex either. I may have completed a Sightdex or two. Completing the Dex is never one of those things I was particularly interested in for some reason or another.

Forrestfire
2012-08-01, 08:20 PM
I haven't completed the pokedex since Gold version, where I had every pokemon but celebi, which was unobtainable to me since it was just Japanese Crystal that got it. I decided to work on the pokedex when I learned about the Shining Charm in BW2.

EDIT: Make that 553 pokemon. Just finished the Squirtle line.

Qwertystop
2012-08-01, 08:26 PM
I haven't completed the pokedex since Gold version, where I had every pokemon but celebi, which was unobtainable to me since it was just Japanese Crystal that got it. I decided to work on the pokedex when I learned about the Shining Charm in BW2.

EDIT: Make that 553 pokemon. Just finished the Squirtle line.

I aimed for a Living Dex in Black. Managed to nearly fill up Unova, and a good bit of Sinnoh too. Organized all my boxes...

Mindfreak
2012-08-01, 08:32 PM
I'm gonna be picking up Pokemon Blue and a gameboy color this weekend.
Is there any Pokemon you can't catch normally(except for you know, linking with someone with Pokemon Red which my buddy has).
I'm not well versed in the older games...

INoKnowNames
2012-08-01, 08:41 PM
Possibly, but probably not. Since it's an actual in-game event, it's different from simply sending you a link to how to get your own fake GTS and download a 'mon that way. Far as I know, it'd involve faking the Wonder Card that unlocks the event itself.

The Wonder Card is exactly what I'm looking for... I wish it was saved to the catrige, rather than the file... then I could reset the game and still have the Victini... Gotta be a way to get another Wonder Card somehow... any of you know? Or do I just gotta tough it out on that file?

That, and I tend to stay away from PvP in practice because the whole thing has a rather sour taste for me.

That's what turned me off to Pokemon for a while... I can only tolerate the 252 ev 31 iv perfect moveset hyper metagamed mindset for so long. I stoped bothering with it after a while, if only because it got on my nerves. I understand it's right for a serious and good fight, but still, between the almost insultingness of people for you not having hacked or rng abused your game, and for having the audacity to use your favorites, it just got annoying...

Illven
2012-08-01, 08:42 PM
Is there any Pokemon you can't catch normally(except for you know, linking with someone with Pokemon Red which my buddy has).

You can't breed Eevee's for the other two of Vapreon, Jolteon, and Flareon.

INoKnowNames
2012-08-01, 08:43 PM

Oh, I know, I know!

Growlith, Oddish, Mankey, Ekans, Scyther, and Electabuzz, as well as whatever you don't choose between Starters, Eevee's evolved form, the Hitmon, and the Fossil.

Make sure to capture Mew!

tgva8889
2012-08-01, 08:50 PM
Eh, I prefer not to hack or RNG abuse anything. I just do a LOT of breeding. A LOT. SO MUCH. Ugh.

I wanted to make a "Fighting Pokedex" where I had well-trained versions of every Pokemon so I could put some teams and stuff together. That kinda fell apart when I drifted into other interests.

I actually have really liked Nuzlocke for "competitive" Pokemon. Though perhaps having Heartgold so early wasn't a good idea. This game is SO LONG.

Forrestfire
2012-08-02, 08:02 AM
I don't know if it's considered poor form to brag, and if it is, sorry, but...

I got my first non-event shiny!

:smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin:

Qwertystop
2012-08-02, 09:01 AM
I don't know if it's considered poor form to brag, and if it is, sorry, but...

I got my first non-event shiny!

:smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin:

That reminds me. Remember that HG run I was doing where I set all Wild pokes to be completely random in species?

I found a Shiny in Slowpoke Well.

It was a Spoink.

WHY?!

Forrestfire
2012-08-02, 09:37 AM
That reminds me. Remember that HG run I was doing where I set all Wild pokes to be completely random in species?

I found a Shiny in Slowpoke Well.

It was a Spoink.

WHY?!

At least shiny Spoink and Grumpig look different. Better than getting a shiny that looks the same as the normal.

EDIT: Mine was a gligar that arrived in the tail end of my breeding program. It even had the right nature :smallbiggrin:

INoKnowNames
2012-08-02, 01:42 PM
I should have saved my first ever Legendary... I found it randomly on Mt Pyre in Ruby. It was a Duskull. I don't think I have that file anymore, though...

I wonder if there's a possibility of playing these games on an emulator, then making an action replay code to overwrite the actual game, since screen-to-screen battling/trading is still possible that way, and won't require dual hand-held gaming...

NineThePuma
2012-08-02, 07:11 PM
You mean your first ever shiny, right?

Derjuin
2012-08-02, 07:44 PM
It just occurred to me that my team in Black version changes almost daily. :smallfrown:

I'm no longer even using half of them (Garchomp, Hydreigon, Zoroark, Dragonite, Blissey, Togekiss, even Tyranitar, all sitting in the box), but I've found some new favorites (like Heracross, Heatran (doesn't know Dragon Pulse though :smallfrown:) and event Raikou).

And I found my first Black version shiny pokemon the other day! A shiny...*gasp* Audino!

http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/5/50/Spr_5b_531_s.png

I was hunting for 6 HP EVs for Heracross...and it turned up shiny. I just couldn't KO it :smalltongue:.

Qwertystop
2012-08-02, 07:46 PM
It just occurred to me that my team in Black version changes almost daily. :smallfrown:

I'm no longer even using half of them (Garchomp, Hydreigon, Zoroark, Dragonite, Blissey, Togekiss, even Tyranitar, all sitting in the box), but I've found some new favorites (like Heracross, Heatran (doesn't know Dragon Pulse though :smallfrown:) and event Raikou).

And I found my first Black version shiny pokemon the other day! A shiny...*gasp* Audino!

I was hunting for 6 HP EVs for Heracross...and it turned up shiny. I just couldn't KO it :smalltongue:.

On an off-topic note, I've been reading Homestuck and I just realized what your avatar is!
(Except the name. That escapes me somehow).

tgva8889
2012-08-02, 07:53 PM
Who willingly KOs Shinies? :smallsmile:

boj0
2012-08-02, 07:53 PM
Ugh, my first non-Gyarados shiny was a Smoochum back in Crystal. Look up shiny Jynx and you'll understand my pain. Also had a shiny Spinda back in Emerald. I think I'm not allowed to have nice things :smallannoyed:

Illven
2012-08-02, 07:55 PM
Who willingly KOs Shinies? :smallsmile:

A masochist maybe? *shrug*

I think I ko'ed a shiny zubat once. Or maybe it was one of my siblings. :smallconfused:

tgva8889
2012-08-02, 08:04 PM
I have some not great shinies. Galvantula and Frillish are okay, but neither of mine have great stats.

Illven
2012-08-02, 08:09 PM
I have some not great shinies. Galvantula and Frillish are okay, but neither of mine have great stats.

With shinies, it's not about the stats, It's about having them.

Derjuin
2012-08-02, 08:26 PM
On an off-topic note, I've been reading Homestuck and I just realized what your avatar is!
(Except the name. That escapes me somehow).

Thanks! Do you mean my name or the character's name?

Derjuin is just a reference to a badly written college acceptance letter (I turned them down (i probably shouldnt have but w/e)). The character's name is a sekret :::;).

ION, my friends now make fun of me for EV training and IV-obsessing, but I can't get it out of my head. Even when I play a new game I look at the pidgey I'm farming and I'm like "...I'm going to have a -really fast- feraligatr." About shinies, I tend to agree - unless it's a guaranteed one (like red gyarados), it's about having em. What I don't understand is when I see people online with nothing but shinies on their team. Shiny Hydreigon, Landorus, Snorlax...all with just the right IVs, EVs and natures. :smallsigh:

tgva8889
2012-08-02, 08:36 PM
With shinies, it's not about the stats, It's about having them.

Someone was complaining about how good/bad their shinies were. I was commenting that mine aren't much better.

INoKnowNames
2012-08-02, 09:04 PM
You mean your first ever shiny, right?

Yeah. Why'd I say Legendary? XD

.... I kinda wanna make the little online card things that list your Pokemon team, and put it in my profile.

And you shouldn't want to kill Audino anyway! (http://img-cache.cdn.gaiaonline.com/1917854fc98045eaf00df056f93785b5/http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy281/jonjon3031/1301124576263.png?t=1301607944)

Ugh, my first non-Gyarados shiny was a Smoochum back in Crystal. Look up shiny Jynx and you'll understand my pain. Also had a shiny Spinda back in Emerald. I think I'm not allowed to have nice things :smallannoyed:

But her dress is so much prettier Purple than Red! :smallbiggrin:

A masochist maybe? *shrug*

I think I ko'ed a shiny zubat once. Or maybe it was one of my siblings. :smallconfused:

.... is a shiny Zubat still worth the trauma its species has caused over the years? That cry was worse than Navi...

Forrestfire
2012-08-02, 09:36 PM
Am I the only person on earth who actually likes the Zubat line? It was on me team in Red version way back, and now I run one in any Johto or Kanto game. :smallamused:

Derjuin
2012-08-02, 09:37 PM
.... I kinda wanna make the little online card things that list your Pokemon team, and put it in my profile.

..Actually, I had a similar idea of pulling the images off bulbapedia and popping them into my signature here. :smalltongue: Where do you find the card-things?

And you shouldn't want to kill Audino anyway! (http://img-cache.cdn.gaiaonline.com/1917854fc98045eaf00df056f93785b5/http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy281/jonjon3031/1301124576263.png?t=1301607944)

;w;

Forrestfire
2012-08-02, 09:40 PM
..Actually, I had a similar idea of pulling the images off bulbapedia and popping them into my signature here. :smalltongue: Where do you find the card-things?

I'm also kinda interested in that. I made mine in photoshop for use as a facebook cover, but something I could just plug data into would be nice.

NineThePuma
2012-08-02, 09:54 PM
Am I the only person on earth who actually likes the Zubat line? It was on me team in Red version way back, and now I run one in any Johto or Kanto game. :smallamused:

Zubat are easy to catch, a little weak to begin with, and have one of the most viable poison types in pretty much every generation as a final evolution.

They're also in every damn game pretty damn early. I can safely say that Zubat is my FAVORITE non-Scyther pokemon.

INoKnowNames
2012-08-02, 10:07 PM

Eh. Nidoking was my poison type, and Charizard my flying. Confusion Hax cemented what would have been passive disinterest into hatred.

I honestly just googled "Trainer Cards". Once I start playing again, I'll probably go through with it.

;w;

Pokemon gets depressing when you really start looking into it.

I'm also kinda interested in that. I made mine in photoshop for use as a facebook cover, but something I could just plug data into would be nice.

I want one that might let me use a custom sprite, for say an OC. I've seen so many awesome things photoshop is used for, I should get it...

Zubat are easy to catch, a little weak to begin with, and have one of the most viable poison types in pretty much every generation as a final evolution.

They're also in every damn game pretty damn early. I can safely say that Zubat is my FAVORITE non-Scyther pokemon.

I hated Zubat.... until Crowbat, at least. Crowbat's kinda cool... but when it first came out.... freaking Mt Moon, man.... *insertZubatcryhere* *twitch twitch*

NineThePuma
2012-08-02, 10:39 PM
*crobat

:smallannoyed:

INoKnowNames
2012-08-02, 10:48 PM
*crobat

:smallannoyed:

:p

I was so young when I first got one... I did that with a lot of Pokemon back then.

Blazen instead of Blaziken, Vioplumb instead of Vileplume... heh...

tgva8889
2012-08-03, 02:17 AM
Crobat made the Zubat line usable in-game for a few reasons. The most important, however, was that it allowed them to learn Fly, thus making them actually useful for beating the game by not taking up a slot without providing any space for HMs.

Golbat was awful in R/B both because Poison and Flying were not very good types and because Golbat itself had bad stats compared to a lot of usable Pokemon and didn't learn any HM moves, thus making it a poor choice for both fighting and traveling.

Forrestfire
2012-08-03, 08:36 PM
I just got swept on the Battle Subway by a trick room bronzong.

I'm not sure how I feel about this XD

tgva8889
2012-08-03, 08:38 PM
Despite all the things you prepare for, there's always going to be something that can defeat you. Unless you cheat or hack and make things that shouldn't be possible possible.

Forrestfire
2012-08-03, 08:43 PM
It was actually pretty hilarious. It got consecutive OHKO critical hits with rock slide against my Scizor and Chandelure, and my Gliscor literally couldn't hurt it (earthquake/toxic/substitute/protect).

Qwertystop
2012-08-04, 11:30 AM
Wow. "Random wilds"? Try "Heatran in Slowpoke Well". And I beat it by accident.

Aotrs Commander
2012-08-04, 12:30 PM
So, my sojourn away ended up more as a Pokemon-fest... Between weather, and a familarity-induced, shut-down lethargy that sometimes plagues me when I go to Abersoch, I ended up doing quite a bit of playing...

I have now officially, after what, seven years-odd, finally completed all the Generation III games. (Bar the shouting.) My Emerald team finally made it past the League (not easy, since they were a non-EV trained group of Seviper, Whiscash, Typhosion, Swellow, Sableye and Septile, requiring me to hit level 55 after the last time, when Drake's Kingdra swept us...) My FireRed team, consisting of Charizard, Venusaur, Blastoise, Alakazam, Parasect and Rapidash barely blinked a collective eyelid (possibly because, while not EV trained, as four out of six were carefully bred trades...)

I chunked a good way through Pearl (and stopped until I could work out where to get my last prospective team-member, Riolu before I went too far, which I have now), found a couple more sages in Black, finally snagged a passable Petilil and Venepede (now working on Frillish) in White, and sent another thirty or so Pokemon to HG from Gen III, so that I can eventually send up to Black, finish a couple of bioxes off, transfer them to White, and have some space back...!)

So now I can do a bit of trading through GoD and breed the last handful of Pokemon (Kabuto/Charmander/Treeko) line and my Gen III Pokedex will be as complete as it's ever going to get.

Forrestfire
2012-08-04, 03:01 PM
I am so close to finishing the Kanto dex. Does anyone have any of these evolutionary lines for trade?

Bulbasaur
Charmander
Oddish
Voltorb
Lapras
Mr. Mime
Electabuzz
Magmar
Mewtwo

boj0
2012-08-04, 03:52 PM
Hey you guys know what would be fun?

ROUND 2 OF BOJO'S COMMUNITY TEAM CHALLENGE!

How it works for those who forgot: the first 7 Pokemon posted by the forum will make a team and one alternate. I will then use this team for the next month on PO (30 days)

The only rules are: 1) no ubers 2) must be fully evolved

You have 3 days to give me a Pokemon, and should you desire, movesets, natures, ev/iv s and items.

Since I have a YouTube channel now, I can actually upload the battles instead of a long winded, yet admittedly fun play by play.

I put my fate in your hands

Mindfreak
2012-08-04, 03:54 PM
So, an update on my Dragons Exalted pre-release pulls.
Out of 8 packs total, I got zero EXs.
My friend got Registeel EX Fullart and Terrakion EX, and my other friend got a plain Registeel EX.

I did, however, get the new Garbadore, Beautifly, and Sigilyph(the one that takes no damage or anything from EXs!).
And the Gothitelles with Doom Demise, Shedinjas, and Ninjasks.
I got the cards I wanted that weren't the EXs >~<

Illven
2012-08-04, 03:58 PM

How it works for those who forgot: the first 7 Pokemon posted by the forum will make a team and one alternate. I will then use this team for the next month on PO (30 days)

You have 3 days to give me a Pokemon, and should you desire, movesets, natures, ev/iv s and items.

Since I have a YouTube channel now, I can actually upload the battles instead of a long winded, yet admittedly fun play by play.

Blastoise, use Blastoise.

Othesemo
2012-08-04, 04:06 PM

A galvantula.

Too few people use galvantulas.

Forrestfire
2012-08-04, 04:11 PM

Crustle! I never see the hermit crab except when I use it XD

NineThePuma
2012-08-04, 04:13 PM
Pinsir! :smallbiggrin:

boj0
2012-08-04, 04:20 PM
So far you folks have suggested my BW1 RU team :smallwink:
Any particular movesets?

Aotrs Commander
2012-08-04, 04:29 PM
Rapidash.

Because Ponyta/Rapidash will always hold a special place in my heart, because the episode The Flame Pokémon-athon! was the first time I saw Pokemon; I was ill at he time and desparate for something to watch. So I watched Pokemon, was baffled by what was going on, but thought it sort of okay - until the climax, where Ponyta evolved. And at that point, I was completely and hopelessly hooked. (It was one of the more spectacular moments of the series, I think. The epic music helped!)

I will leave others to suggest moves or natures (not being a competative player myself!) - and as my priorly mentioned Rapidash is Gen III. (It does have Hypnosis though, which is kinda cool!)

Othesemo
2012-08-04, 04:31 PM
So far you folks have suggested my BW1 RU team :smallwink:
Any particular movesets?

I would be greatly amused if you managed to pull off an agility/electro ball moveset.

Forrestfire
2012-08-04, 04:43 PM
You should run crustle with:

Adamant
Lum Berry
172 HP/252 Atk/84 Spe
Spikes/Stealth Rock/X-Scissor/Stone Edge

EDIT: Completely off-topic, but I just wanted to express how much I love the winter Unova Route 3 music compared to the rest of the seasons.

Qwertystop
2012-08-04, 05:20 PM

Stunfisk.

Or the Luvdisc-evo-that-isn't-a-Luvdisc-evo.

Oh, and you reminded me of that BW run I was doing with a set team! Now, where did I leave the game card...

Forrestfire
2012-08-04, 08:05 PM
Well. I finally got around to fighting red in my soulsilver version. It was terrifying :smalleek:

Whose idea was it to teach three of them blizzard during a hailstorm? AAAAH! :smalleek:

My team:

Level 77 Rotom-Mow (thunder wave/discharge/shadow ball/leaf storm)
Level 69 Infernape (close combat/strength/shadow claw/flare blitz)
Level 69 Crobat (poison fang/fly/air slash/sludge bomb)
Level 72 Empoleon (surf/rock smash/waterfall/avalanch)
Level 25 Bibarel (rock climb/strength/rock smash/cut)

Even with the underleveled, badly-designed team, I still managed to win... somehow. I think critical hitting with a leaf storm on the Blastoise helped.

Illven
2012-08-04, 10:19 PM
Who has two thumbs and just beat Cynthia with no losses. This guy :smallbiggrin:

Biggest close call. Tesla my Luxray getting Mirror coated to 4 Hp out of 208.

tgva8889
2012-08-04, 11:36 PM
So...Umbreon? Umbreon in Nuzlocke is AMAZING. Literally cannot die against most of the Pokemon League. Holy crap.

In other news, I defeated the Pokemon League in my Heartgold Nuzlocke Run. Finally. Now to see if I pick up anything decent in Kanto.

Illven
2012-08-04, 11:55 PM
So...Umbreon? Umbreon in Nuzlocke is AMAZING. Literally cannot die against most of the Pokemon League. Holy crap.

In other news, I defeated the Pokemon League in my Heartgold Nuzlocke Run. Finally. Now to see if I pick up anything decent in Kanto.

What about Houndour?

tgva8889
2012-08-05, 12:14 AM
It's a Nuzlocke, so I am dependent on fate to determine what I actually pick up a lot of the time. It's also Heartgold, so anything I pick up will have to be incredibly good or something bad would have to happen for me to use it. If possible, I don't want to have to double-up on types too much. I'm already using two Water-types (mostly for ease of travel).

NineThePuma
2012-08-05, 12:18 AM
He means "what about Houndour" as in "how did you handle him" though I think he meant Houndoom

tgva8889
2012-08-05, 12:29 AM
Houndoom got swept by Heracross. In other news, X-items are kind of ridiculous.

I assumed that wasn't what he meant because he said Houndour not Houndoom. Houndoom isn't particularly problematic.

Illven
2012-08-05, 01:14 AM
No I meant a suggestion to use Houndour. I just love Houndoom and don't get much chances to use them.

tgva8889
2012-08-05, 05:49 AM
Well, through Rules Abuse I am now pretty much certain to have a Houndour. The issue is, of course, that I don't really need it because my current team covers the bases that need to be covered. Fire isn't an especially necessary type in this game, though it is good and effective. Houndoom is just not bulky enough for me.

Starwulf
2012-08-05, 03:14 PM

Pretty sure I've only counted 6, so for the 7th, I vote Deino. He's such a cute little bugger!

NineThePuma
2012-08-05, 03:18 PM
Must be fully evolved? =V

Derjuin
2012-08-05, 03:19 PM
Pretty sure I've only counted 6, so for the 7th, I vote Deino. He's such a cute little bugger!

Deino's not fully evolved :smalltongue: also I only counted 5, so I'll vote...

Togekiss nicknamed Kissies
Modest nature
Serene Grace
252 Satt/252 Spd/6 Hp
King's Rock

Air Slash
Thunderwave
Aura Sphere
Roost

Illven
2012-08-05, 04:29 PM
The Blastoise should be named.

Shellthlu

Starwulf
2012-08-05, 07:47 PM
Deino's not fully evolved :smalltongue: also I only counted 5, so I'll vote...

Togekiss nicknamed Kissies
Modest nature
Serene Grace
252 Satt/252 Spd/6 Hp
King's Rock

Air Slash
Thunderwave
Aura Sphere
Roost

Ahh, crap, I missed the fully evolved bit. Isn't Hydrogeion Uber though?(I don't actually know if it is or not). If he isn't Uber, go with him! If he is Uber, go with the metallic ant that's in the same area you can find Deino! I like those ants :)

Othesemo
2012-08-05, 08:51 PM
Ahh, crap, I missed the fully evolved bit. Isn't Hydrogeion Uber though?(I don't actually know if it is or not). If he isn't Uber, go with him! If he is Uber, go with the metallic ant that's in the same area you can find Deino! I like those ants :)

Durant! Yeah, they're awesome.

boj0
2012-08-05, 09:17 PM
Usually I name Pokemon after the poster who suggested it, but I can make an exception for Shellthulu :smallwink:

So here is the team:
Forrestfire - Crustle
Illven - Blastoise
Aotrs Commander - Rapidash
Qwertystop - Stunfisk
Derjuin - Togekiss
NineThePuma - Pinsir
Othesemo - Galvantula

Lots of Bug types, this should be intersting

Illven
2012-08-05, 09:32 PM
Usually I name Pokemon after the poster who suggested it, but I can make an exception for Shellthulu :smallwink:

So here is the team:
Forrestfire - Crustle
Illven - Blastoise
Aotrs Commander - Rapidash
Qwertystop - Stunfisk
Derjuin - Togekiss
NineThePuma - Pinsir
Othesemo - Galvantula

Lots of Bug types, this should be intersting

Which makes Shellthulu necessary to protect against Fire types.

Forrestfire
2012-08-06, 12:42 AM
Does anybody know why the GTS allows people to ask for impossible pokemon? Ergh. :smallmad:

I'm trying to find something for my dex, and all I get are offers for "Level 9 or lower Reshiram" or something of that sort. Do they do it just to clog up the GTS? :smallmad:

tgva8889
2012-08-06, 01:03 AM
Does anybody know why the GTS allows people to ask for impossible pokemon? Ergh. :smallmad:

I'm trying to find something for my dex, and all I get are offers for "Level 9 or lower Reshiram" or something of that sort. Do they do it just to clog up the GTS? :smallmad:

I've found the best way to use the GTS is to put up your own Pokemon and ask for what you want, at any level or gender. Someone will trade for just about anything. I've gotten rid of several Frillish, Muuna, and Timbur this way.

Aotrs Commander
2012-08-06, 04:22 AM
Durant! Yeah, they're awesome.

Incidently, does anybody know what possessed them to give Durant Truant as their hidden ability? While many of the hidden abilities are pretty pants compared to the normal ones (unnerve on houndour?!), I've not seen any others that so actively cripple the Pokemon for no readily definable reason. Is there, like, some clever hidden advantage to that, or is it just an exercise is sheer idiocy...?

NineThePuma
2012-08-06, 05:45 AM
Well, we could look up the two abilities that have numbers that are within one digit differention and see if any of THOSE abilities are more useful.

Agent_0042
2012-08-06, 06:58 AM
They do learn Entrainment. Baton Pass'd Mean Look + Durant with Truant/Entrainment is rough when you're not expecting it.

Aotrs Commander
2012-08-06, 07:38 AM
They do learn Entrainment. Baton Pass'd Mean Look + Durant with Truant/Entrainment is rough when you're not expecting it.

Ah, yes, that does make some sense. I thought there must be something to it...

Forrestfire
2012-08-06, 09:27 AM
Alrighty then. Now that I've beaten Red, gotten Latios, Latias (had an Enigma stone just sitting in the cartridge...), Groudon, a Kanto and Hoenn starter (Bulbasaur and Mudkip, respectively), and I'm heading over to catch Zapdos (the last of the birds).

Is there anything else important I should do before I begin transferring up the last few batches of pokemon from this game? I plan on resetting my Soul Silver afterwards and starting my first Nuzlocke challenge.

EDIT: I should probably go get mewtwo, too...

Illven
2012-08-06, 11:34 AM
and starting my first Nuzlocke challenge.

Way to go!

Just remember Easy mode (somewhat) is Cyndaquil, Medium is Totadile, and hard is Chikorhita

Forrestfire
2012-08-06, 12:22 PM
Finally got Ho-Oh and Mewtwo caught. I think I used like 150 ultra balls between the two.

Also, I need the Totodile line for my White version pokedex, and Totodile is my favorite of the three, so I'm going with that. Any ideas on nicknames?

EDIT: I feel like I'm spamming a bit, and if I am, let me know and I can stop, but does anyone have a Lapras or a Charmander for trade? These two are the last holes in my Kanto dex XD

EDIT2: I now have a Lonely Totodile named Delta. On to the rest of the game! :smallbiggrin:

Update: I've already managed to lose one. A trainer's Nidoran got double crits with a double kick on my Rattatta :smallfrown:. RIP Perkins the Rattata.

Aotrs Commander
2012-08-06, 07:23 PM
Oh ye gods. That was dull...

My niece left her DS here overnight again, so between wargames, I borrowed it to do some fiddling. I did some trading in Gen IV, then gened up about fifty Pokemon to my Black game. Which, as I've this time set up the boxes (bar the two that leaves over) in national dex order to be filled, enabled me to fill box 331-360 completely (that one, more by chance than design,, was closest to being filled, so I've made a concerted effort to fill that and box 300-330 (which is now only two Pokemon off).)

Then I had to catch thirty Pokemon in my White (well, 28, since I was transferring two across), and then traded thirty Pokemon between Black and White (thank frack it lets you trade box to box in Gen V!) Which took forever.

But at least now it's done, the trash Pokemon have been released (up until now, I can count of the fingers of one hand the number of Pokemon I've gotten permenantly rid of in the last three generations), and I have an empty box in my Black, which gives me a bit of breathing room. (Even my "spare" capture box was starting to get full...) One more go another time should clear me another box, which I'll probably designate for alternate forms.

OracleofWuffing
2012-08-07, 12:20 AM
Future-compatibility would make it pretty annoying to keep a blacklist. They probably don't know all of the pokemon they plan to give away right at the moment they release the original game.

For some pokemon, it's for the trade evolution glitch where if you put a pokemon up for trade, then do a regular trade, and withrdraw your pokemon, it'll evolve as if it was traded. But mostly, yes, trollers gotta troll.

Illven
2012-08-07, 08:54 AM
Update: I've already managed to lose one. A trainer's Nidoran got double crits with a double kick on my Rattatta :smallfrown:. RIP Perkins the Rattata.

Quickly tell us the starting level and death level.

Forrestfire
2012-08-07, 10:04 AM
Update on the Nuzlocke: I am currently in Ecruteak City, and I have defeated my rival in the Burned Tower, but not challenged the gym yet.

Whitney's gym in Goldenrod was a nightmare. It wasn't able to completely kill any of my pokemon, but it took me a long time to defeat it, since I had to get rid of all its Attract PP before I could paraflinch it to death with my Togepi (headbutt is awesome).

Team:

Delta the Totodile: "Delta" as in "River Delta." He has been fairly useful, but not a star member of the team. I send him out when I need good neutral coverage or against pokemon that can deal with my geodude.
Currently level 21.

Sio the Geodude: "Sio" for the chemical formula of quartz SiO4. My MVP of this playthrough so far. He solo'd the first two gyms, and helped a lot in the third (tanked miltank like a boss).
Obtained at level 3, and currently level 23.

Dream the Flaafy: Dream the electric sheep has been useful for catching more, and is also a good pokemon for non-gym trainer battles so far. Thundershock has great neutral coverage against a lot of the early-game trainers.
Obtained at level 6, and currently level 23.

Cacon the Togetic: Named from the chemical formula for Calcium Carbonate (CaCO3) My other MVP on the team. He hatched early on and I taught him headbutt in Ilex Forest. I usually combo him with my Flaafy's thunder wave to flinch the difficult enemies to death.
Obtained at level 5, and currently level 23.

Edgar the Nidorino: I caught him after I beat Whitney's gym. He is currently unproven in any real battles, but I plan on using him as a mixed attacker with TM moves since he is modest nature...
Obtained at level 12, and currently level 19.

Kumo the Vulpix: Just caught him in the burned tower, and I'm currently training him to be on par with the rest of the team.
Obtained at level 14, and currently level 15.

Deceased:

Perkins the Rattata: He was great in sprout tower, but he was tragically killed by a double-critting double kick by a trainer's Nidoran.
Obtained at level 5, deceased at level 12. RIP. :smallfrown:

Belle the Bellsprout: I taught her flash to look around the dark cave, but she was poisoned by a weedle in training and fell to the poison on my sprint to the pokemon center.
Obtained at level 3, deceased at level 4. RIP.

Chase the Ekans: Caught because I needed something to deal with Silver's Bayleaf before I fought him in Azalea. He was killed by a pidgey because I was overconfident in his ability to live through a critical hit.
Obtained at level 5, deceased at level 7. RIP.

Kumo the Vulpix: Critically stomped on by a wild stantler.
Obtained at level 14, deceased at level 15. RIP.

EDIT: Well crap. Kumo the Vulpix, we hardly knew ye.

Illven
2012-08-07, 11:06 AM
Who are you going to replace the Vuplix with?

Forrestfire
2012-08-07, 11:21 AM
I have no idea.

Also, I just beat Morty's gym... but not without a cost :smallfrown:

His gengar one-shotted my Flaaffy. I guess you could say he *puts on sunglasses* ate my Dream.

In any case, I screwed up my one capture for mount mortar, so I don't think I'll be filling both slots any time soon.

Illven
2012-08-07, 11:55 AM
I have no idea.

Also, I just beat Morty's gym... but not without a cost :smallfrown:

His gengar one-shotted my Flaaffy. I guess you could say he *puts on sunglasses* ate my Dream.

In any case, I screwed up my one capture for mount mortar, so I don't think I'll be filling both slots any time soon.

Good pun.

Do you have any spares in the box?

Forrestfire
2012-08-07, 12:03 PM
That pun was almost worth losing the Flaaffy :smalltongue:.

About the extras: Nope. I have had really bad luck with critical hits and weakening the first pokemon of each area. However, I went and caught a Magnemite just now in the route to the left of the town, since I hadn't been there. Its name is Lorentz.

Illven
2012-08-07, 12:17 PM
That pun was almost worth losing the Flaaffy :smalltongue:.

About the extras: Nope. I have had really bad luck with critical hits and weakening the first pokemon of each area. However, I went and caught a Magnemite just now in the route to the left of the town, since I hadn't been there. Its name is Lorentz.

Magnemite's are awesome. Do you have a Sinnoh game to get a Magnezone?

Forrestfire
2012-08-07, 12:30 PM
I do, but I managed to let it die already :smallredface: :smallfrown:

Forgot the wooper line is ground type...

Illven
2012-08-07, 12:51 PM
I do, but I managed to let it die already :smallredface: :smallfrown:

Forgot the wooper line is ground type...

Ouch!

I'm going to love that though when I get to Gen 2 and beyond in my ultimate water monolocke.

boj0
2012-08-07, 04:19 PM
So I'm going to try really, really hard to get a video up by tomorrow with the challenge team. We just have to hope Netflix stops me from watching Breaking Bad. :smalltongue:

I kid, sort of (I am in the middle of Season 2), but I have a few good matches in the bag, so I know I can at least get them recorded.

EDIT: HERE IT IS NUMBER ONE, THE FIRST OF MANY VIDEOS. CAPS LOCKS FOR COOL (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=027mFWjY8Xs&feature=youtu.be)

tgva8889
2012-08-07, 05:55 PM
It amused me that Raticate is actually one of the best guys to use to fight Morty in the game. Immunity to Shadow Ball and access to super-effective Crunch? Awesome.

I haven't lost a guy in a while. I've only lost 2 ever, I think. I may be too good at Nuzlocke?

Forrestfire
2012-08-07, 06:52 PM
EDIT: HERE IT IS NUMBER ONE, THE FIRST OF MANY VIDEOS. CAPS LOCKS FOR COOL (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=027mFWjY8Xs&feature=youtu.be)

That stunfisk is surprisingly badass.

Othesemo
2012-08-07, 07:00 PM
So I'm going to try really, really hard to get a video up by tomorrow with the challenge team. We just have to hope Netflix stops me from watching Breaking Bad. :smalltongue:

I kid, sort of (I am in the middle of Season 2), but I have a few good matches in the bag, so I know I can at least get them recorded.

Very nice. I hope you end up using galvantula in the next match.

Incidentally, it's pronounced Oh-thee-see-moe.

Aotrs Commander
2012-08-07, 07:17 PM

For the record, it's pronounced "A (as in "hay")-oat-ers"... which isn't actually as pony-related as I just realised I made that sound, being, in fact, an anacronym for Army Of The Red Spear.

(Incidently, Lord Death Despoil was well aware than you don't normally use "of" and "the" as part of an anacronym, but there was no way he was going to form an organisation called Ars, which would inevitably been pronouced with an additional "e" at the end...)

Also, "Aotrs" is sufficiently unique that it makes it very easy to google oneself, which is very handy...!

Not having seen anything like that software before, one has to ask what the list of moves below the Pokemon were, as there seemed to be more than four - list of all potential moves that species could have or something?

Forrestfire
2012-08-07, 07:21 PM
I finally got lucky with a wild pokemon citing. Miltank was my first pokemon on Route 39. Welcome to the team, Nightmare the Miltank. :smallbiggrin:

Illven
2012-08-07, 07:22 PM
All glory to Shellthulu! :smallbiggrin:

Also my name was said correctly.

Mindfreak
2012-08-07, 08:03 PM
It amused me that Raticate is actually one of the best guys to use to fight Morty in the game. Immunity to Shadow Ball and access to super-effective Crunch? Awesome.

I haven't lost a guy in a while. I've only lost 2 ever, I think. I may be too good at Nuzlocke?
Or your Pokemon are just in the top percentage of Pokemon :smalltongue:

It reminds me of the time I Nuzlocked Ruby.
I rocked that game hard. I only lost my Surskit and Zigzagoon.
Skitters the Surskit and Ziggy the Zigzagoon will live on forever in my heart :smallfrown:

boj0
2012-08-07, 08:26 PM
Not having seen anything like that software before, one has to ask what the list of moves below the Pokemon were, as there seemed to be more than four - list of all potential moves that species could have or something?

That was the Teambuilder for Pokemon Online 2.0; the way my recording software was set up I didn't want to move the capture area, but if you scroll down you get the list of all the moves that Pokemon can learn and the four you're using. (Btw, I use Pokemon Online (http://pokemon-online.eu/) to battle, aesoft (http://pokemon.aesoft.org/) to animate, and finally Camtasia Studio 7 to record and add audio).

Yeah the team is doing pretty well so far, the biggest problem is a lack of team synergy (which, to be fair, is the point); however I'm trying to more or less find battles that are interesting while not being lop-sided. Galvantula has had a few good matches, really though I'm making sure everyone has equal chance to shine. :smallsmile:

NineThePuma
2012-08-07, 09:17 PM
Holy @$&^, that pinsir is fierce.

Why was the other guy using Kadabra?

EDIT: and in retrospect, I probably should have said "scyther" but the stealth rock weakness is too much for PO, IMHO.

Othesemo
2012-08-07, 09:24 PM
Holy @$&^, that pinsir is fierce.

Why was the other guy using Kadabra?

Eviolite, I assume.

boj0
2012-08-07, 09:29 PM
I'm guessing since Alakazam is banned from UU, he opted for the less powerful, but legal Kadabra.

NineThePuma
2012-08-07, 09:37 PM
Kanghaskhan is pretty beast.

Forrestfire
2012-08-07, 11:38 PM
It probably should have occurred to me that Jasmine wasn't the next gym leader before I challenged her. Goodbye, Toxo the Tentacool, sacrificed to sponge an iron tail.

Her steelix was actually easy to beat, even though I was severely underleved. Edgar's fire blast + wide lens is scary.

Illven
2012-08-08, 12:21 AM
It probably should have occurred to me that Jasmine wasn't the next gym leader before I challenged her. Goodbye, Toxo the Tentacool, sacrificed to sponge an iron tail.

Her steelix was actually easy to beat, even though I was severely underleved. Edgar's fire blast + wide lens is scary.

Spoilers for my nuzlocke comic

Seriously Jasmine was the easiest gym leader ever. I had Vol my Magmar take out her two magnemites and then Alex my Fergaliter took out the Steelix.

Even at neutral damage Fireblast won. I see what you mean about scary. And yeah you probably would have won if you went to Chuck first.

Forrestfire
2012-08-08, 12:58 AM
I'm currently training for Chuck, since the majority of my team was level 25 when I fought Jasmine. I caught a Gloom (named Bal) and it's currently boxed.

Also, I clicked the link in your sig to the Emerald nuzlocke. I'm greatly enjoying it so far :smallbiggrin:

tgva8889
2012-08-08, 05:04 AM
I highly suggest you get Eevee and an Umbreon. Umbreon has been an all-star for me. You just have to remember to use a lot of Amulet Coin to afford the large amounts of healing items you need to use defensive Pokemon.

Illven
2012-08-08, 09:36 AM
I'm currently training for Chuck, since the majority of my team was level 25 when I fought Jasmine. I caught a Gloom (named Bal) and it's currently boxed.

Also, I clicked the link in your sig to the Emerald nuzlocke. I'm greatly enjoying it so far :smallbiggrin:

Wow thanks. :smallsmile: After that there's blazing hate, and if you like Fire emblem. Fire emblem 7

I highly suggest you get Eevee and an Umbreon. Umbreon has been an all-star for me. You just have to remember to use a lot of Amulet Coin to afford the large amounts of healing items you need to use defensive Pokemon.

Espeon is best :smalltongue:

Forrestfire
2012-08-08, 10:48 AM

Going to agree with you there (except for Leafeon, but I can't get him in this game).

Anyway, I got a 6th member for my team: Rogue the red Gyarados. "Rogue" because I tried "Rouge," but years of correcting people on D&D forums has left me unable to see that word correctly. :smalltongue:

Illven
2012-08-08, 10:50 AM
Going to agree with you there (except for Leafeon, but I can't get him in this game).

Anyway, I got a 6th member for my team: Rogue the red Gyarados. "Rogue" because I tried "Rouge," but years of correcting people on D&D forums has left me unable to see that word correctly. :smalltongue:

May he get plenty of sneak attacks.

INoKnowNames
2012-08-08, 12:31 PM

Wasn't there a slightly similar issue in the Kanto Region? Once you've gotten through Rock Tunnel, the game kinda opens up a bit, and you might find yourself going to places you aren't ready for just yet....

Mando Knight
2012-08-08, 02:07 PM

YES! SOON the world will BURN in NUCLEAR FIRE!

...Er, I mean, love will be spread across the world with magic sparkles and rainbows (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUhOnX8qt3I)! Do you believe in magic? In a young girl's heart? How the music will free her, whenever it starts?

NineThePuma
2012-08-08, 02:47 PM
Wasn't there a slightly similar issue in the Kanto Region? Once you've gotten through Rock Tunnel, the game kinda opens up a bit, and you might find yourself going to places you aren't ready for just yet....

Actually, you can skip facing Lt. Surge, IIRC, as he isn't critical until you need to use Fly to get around. Post Rock Tunnel, you need to get the pokeflute but in the meantime can wander through and probably face the Celadon Gym. Facing the Saffron City gym is possible from fairly early, but it's genuinely crazy hard in Gen 1, though easier in Gen 3.

I don't know if you can get away with it necessarily in a Nuzlocke, as I genuinely dislike them. (They don't feel hard to me in terms of being more challenging, they feel like Fake Difficulty; for my 'challenge runs' I do Type Themed challenges with a 6 man main party, one alternate, and an HM slave Just In Case.)

Forrestfire
2012-08-08, 06:05 PM
I don't know if you can get away with it necessarily in a Nuzlocke, as I genuinely dislike them. (They don't feel hard to me in terms of being more challenging, they feel like Fake Difficulty; for my 'challenge runs' I do Type Themed challenges with a 6 man main party, one alternate, and an HM slave Just In Case.)

I can see what you mean there. My challenge hasn't been any more hard than a normal playthrough, but I feel like it's more about immersing in the story of the player than the challenge. Normally when I play pokemon, it is more like watching a movie than playing a role.

In any case, I fought Pryce, but he killed my miltank. Goodbye Nightmare the Miltank, who missed the finishing move (zen headbutt). :smallfrown:

Aotrs Commander
2012-08-08, 06:13 PM
Trying to catch a half-way decent Frillish... As usual, the amount of Adamant, likes to thrash about (which I could never get when hunting for venepede) has been unhilariously frequent...

Finally got a Modest one with a potential SpA that's not in single digits (estimated mid-twenties), with a 30 SpD, middling speed (13-19), very low defence (single digits) and low twenties HP.

Does that seem kinda passable? (If not I'll keep looking for a slightly better one.) I ask since the speed is kinda meh, which I probably would bother less about if the defence wasn't really low. (Yes, I am well into splitting hairs territory, just humour me!)

NineThePuma
2012-08-08, 06:18 PM
Ah. See, I generally do one or two runs with "these pokes are awesome!" and then transition into a more focused run. Like, I ran a Pearl run with a Ground Type team, ended up with Torterra, Steelix, Garchomp, Hippopotas, and the sea slug thing; alternates were harder to come by, because Pearl was poor for Ground.

Qwertystop
2012-08-08, 07:20 PM
I can see what you mean there. My challenge hasn't been any more hard than a normal playthrough

Yeah, I know what yuo mean. I wanted challenge, so I did that BW run with a team voted in by The Playground.

Still trying to find someone to help me evolve my Scyther and provide a Metal Coat, though, so it's on hiatus for an indeterminate amount of time.

Forrestfire
2012-08-08, 08:03 PM
Illven, your Emerald nuzlocke was depressing. :smallfrown:

Still trying to find someone to help me evolve my Scyther and provide a Metal Coat, though, so it's on hiatus for an indeterminate amount of time.

I can help with that :smallbiggrin: I don't need the metal coat in my white version since I transferred steelix and scizor from soulsilver.

Illven
2012-08-08, 08:05 PM

If you want to continue the story of Illven, you can read my Fire emblem nuzlocke inspired. Link also in my sig.

Qwertystop
2012-08-08, 08:18 PM

I can help with that :smallbiggrin: I don't need the metal coat in my white version since I transferred steelix and scizor from soulsilver.

Great, my Black version FC is 3052 9470 8131. Is the one in the first post correct for you?

EDIT: Never mind, you dont have one in the first post...

boj0
2012-08-08, 08:38 PM
I said I had a video of Stunfisk being awesome.
Here is a video of Stunfisk being awesome (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eT2t28195Rw).

NineThePuma
2012-08-08, 08:45 PM
Scyther! :o

Qwertystop
2012-08-08, 08:50 PM
Someone said there was a way to actually find a specific person for Dream World Friending? How?

Illven
2012-08-08, 09:15 PM
All glory to Shellthulu!

He was the real hero of that match.

Mando Knight
2012-08-08, 09:37 PM
Someone said there was a way to actually find a specific person for Dream World Friending? How?

Yes (http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f323/how-make-dream-pals-2-a-109976/). However, there's a 75% chance that any given person will be unavailable, since there's four "worlds" (server clusters, I assume) and each game is assigned to one of those, without any ability to travel between them.

It's a little difficult to boil down the directions more than the link does...

Forrestfire
2012-08-08, 09:44 PM
Great, my Black version FC is 3052 9470 8131. Is the one in the first post correct for you?

EDIT: Never mind, you dont have one in the first post...

My friend code will probably never be in the first post, because it resets it every time I have to borrow my dad's DSi to use a WPA connection. Sucks that the normal DS can only use WEP :smallmad:

In any case, my friend code until about 10am tomorrow morning (EST) is:
2666 8908 5542

Do you mind if I evolve one of my trade-evolves during this trade? I'm assuming it'd go
-trade scyther to me
-I give metal coat
-trade back?

EDIT: Damn. Stunfisk did work :smalltongue:

Nuzlocke update: Still sad that I lost Nightmare, but on the plus side, I got the secret power TM and Togetic can now paraflinch by himself if he's in a building. Whoo! :smallbiggrin:

And another one: I just learned that poison cannot faint my pokemon in the overworld. *Phew* My Feraligatr got poisoned in the radio tower, and literally hit 1 hp the moment I stepped into the pokemon center door. :smalleek:

Starwulf
2012-08-09, 04:03 AM
My friend code will probably never be in the first post, because it resets it every time I have to borrow my dad's DSi to use a WPA connection. Sucks that the normal DS can only use WEP :smallmad:

Wait...DSis can use WPA connections instead of just WEP? Does that continue with the DSiXL? If so...YAY. I may be able to start accessing event pokemon!

tgva8889
2012-08-09, 06:27 AM

Depends on what you want. My Umbreon is so good that he literally can't die against most equally-leveled Pokemon, even with high-power moves like Outrage. Umbreon has such good defenses and HP, which are really valuable in Nuzlocke where death to a team member costs to a large amount of time and effort.

Aotrs Commander
2012-08-09, 06:29 AM

Have either you or Starwulf tried going to your router's webpage to see if you can set up a guest network like I did? (You may or may not be able to, depending on your ISP and whatnot). The web address for my router settings was written on the saide of my actual router, browsing there I was able to find an option to set up a guest network (which allowed me to set a WEP encryption on it.)

Also, any thoughts from anyone on the priorly mention Frillish?

Illven
2012-08-09, 10:53 AM
And another one: I just learned that poison cannot faint my pokemon in the overworld. *Phew* My Feraligatr got poisoned in the radio tower, and literally hit 1 hp the moment I stepped into the pokemon center door. :smalleek:

That is one of my favorite additions in Gen 4

Depends on what you want. My Umbreon is so good that he literally can't die against most equally-leveled Pokemon, even with high-power moves like Outrage. Umbreon has such good defenses and HP, which are really valuable in Nuzlocke where death to a team member costs to a large amount of time and effort.

Espeon has great killing potential.

Forrestfire
2012-08-09, 11:24 AM
I plan on using espeon because my team is already really tanky, and I do need some damage.

Qwertystop
2012-08-09, 12:45 PM

In any case, my friend code until about 10am tomorrow morning (EST) is:
2666 8908 5542

Do you mind if I evolve one of my trade-evolves during this trade? I'm assuming it'd go
-trade scyther to me
-I give metal coat
-trade back?

EDIT: Damn. Stunfisk did work :smalltongue:

Nuzlocke update: Still sad that I lost Nightmare, but on the plus side, I got the secret power TM and Togetic can now paraflinch by himself if he's in a building. Whoo! :smallbiggrin:

Great, I woke up late today and missed the timing-window...

So what's the friend code now? And no, i don't mind if you evolve your own trade-evolve when we do this.

EDIT: Maybe people should post their Dream World IDs so that we can all visit each other more easily?

Forrestfire
2012-08-09, 07:09 PM
Great, I woke up late today and missed the timing-window...

So what's the friend code now? And no, i don't mind if you evolve your own trade-evolve when we do this.

EDIT: Maybe people should post their Dream World IDs so that we can all visit each other more easily?

My friend code right now is... huh. That's weird. :smallconfused:

It gave me the message saying it reset (erased history/friend codes, etc) when I connected on my dad's DS, but the code itself has not changed. Still 2666 8908 5542.

I'm on from now until a while later, so just bug me when you're ready. :smallsmile:

OracleofWuffing
2012-08-09, 09:43 PM
Wait...DSis can use WPA connections instead of just WEP? Does that continue with the DSiXL? If so...YAY. I may be able to start accessing event pokemon!
The original DS ("phat") and DS Lite are WEP-only. All other DSes (DSi, DSiXL, 3DS, 3DSLL) have WPA support, but require the game to support WPA as well. Black and White do have WPA support, but games before the DSi was released are WEP-only.

boj0
2012-08-09, 10:18 PM
Had a very solid night on PO :smallamused:
Should have another video or so up by the end of the weekend.

EDIT: While doing this challenge, I realized I wish to run a Sceptile one day

Forrestfire
2012-08-09, 11:08 PM
So... the dragon gym was very, very difficult. I was a bit underleveled because I didn't grind up my pokemon all the way (level 39 on each).

I lost my Gloom Magno to a critical hit dragon pulse before I could set up sunny day, and Rogue got critted by Kingdra's hyper beam.

:smallfrown:

Cacon (now a togekiss) made sure the kingdra didn't get another move.

Illven
2012-08-10, 12:08 AM
So... the dragon gym was very, very difficult. I was a bit underleveled because I didn't grind up my pokemon all the way (level 39 on each).

I lost my Gloom Magno to a critical hit dragon pulse before I could set up sunny day, and Rogue got critted by Kingdra's hyper beam.

:smallfrown:

Cacon (now a togekiss) made sure the kingdra didn't get another move.

Sniper has killed the best of all of us.

Forrestfire
2012-08-10, 12:22 AM
Out of curiosity, what level do you think I should grind to for the elite 4? I plan on taking 5 pokemon with me:

Delta the Feraligatr (swords dance sweeper)
Cacon the Togekiss (paraflinch)
Sio the Golem (tank/rock polish sweeper)
Edgar the Nidoking (mixed attacker)
Kaarth the Dratini - currently training. I have no idea what he'll do other than have extremespeed.

Illven
2012-08-10, 12:29 AM
Out of curiosity, what level do you think I should grind to for the elite 4? I plan on taking 5 pokemon with me:

Delta the Feraligatr (swords dance sweeper)
Cacon the Togekiss (paraflinch)
Sio the Golem (tank/rock polish sweeper)
Edgar the Nidoking (mixed attacker)
Kaarth the Dratini - currently training. I have no idea what he'll do other than have extremespeed.

Probably level 50. And make sure someone has an ice move. Feraligatr may not have enough Sp.atk to OHKO the dragonites with Ice beam.

Starwulf
2012-08-10, 12:31 AM
The original DS ("phat") and DS Lite are WEP-only. All other DSes (DSi, DSiXL, 3DS, 3DSLL) have WPA support, but require the game to support WPA as well. Black and White do have WPA support, but games before the DSi was released are WEP-only.

That is quite a relief to hear, my daughter has a DSiXL, and I have Pokemon Black. Are there any cool event pokemon out right now(any at all) for Black?

Forrestfire
2012-08-10, 12:37 AM
Probably level 50. And make sure someone has an ice move. Feraligatr may not have enough Sp.atk to OHKO the dragonites with Ice beam.

Feraligatr will have ice fang or avalanche, and Edgar has wide lens and Blizzard. After an X Accuracy, it's 100.1% accurace if I did the math right. I am still amazed that I managed to somehow raise a nidoking with equal attack and special attack.

That is quite a relief to hear, my daughter has a DSiXL, and I have Pokemon Black. Are there any cool event pokemon out right now(any at all) for Black?

They have a dream world porygon and a bunch of C-gear skins right now.

EDIT: Looks like Keldeo will finally be released in the US! Yay. :smallbiggrin:
http://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-news/vg_new_mythical_pokemon-2012-08-06/

Mando Knight
2012-08-10, 10:34 AM
Also, the English release of the BW2 trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkTsd0iU97s) for a reminder: go big, or go home.

Aotrs Commander
2012-08-10, 11:01 AM
Also, the English release of the BW2 trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkTsd0iU97s) for a reminder: go big, or go home.

*Picks jawbone up off floor*

Can...can we haz that as anime series please...?

I mean...damn...

The actual anime should be taking some serious notes!

NineThePuma
2012-08-10, 03:39 PM
Fangasmed.

Qwertystop
2012-08-10, 03:43 PM
More on my vote-team game!

I beat the Electric gym first try, around level 25 for all, using a lot of super potions and Pursuit. I forgot to take notes, as I was on a plane to Munich at the time. I got to the next gym, nothing stands out in memory. Sorry I don't have as much to say.

So, that's the last post I could find commenting on that BW run. It seems I forgot to comment from there to where I am now, which is halfway through the first floor (not including the ground floor) of Celestial Tower.

Still want a running commentary on it? As of right now, everything is level 32. I can give the movesets if people care.

Forrestfire
2012-08-10, 04:54 PM
That BW2 trailer... :smallbiggrin:

They should just drop the current anime and run that instead. And make a pokemon special anime while they're at it.

NineThePuma
2012-08-10, 05:22 PM
I think that they could get a lot of fans by running a more "mature" anime alongside the kiddie one.

Forrestfire
2012-08-10, 11:47 PM
I have the worst luck I have ever seen with enemy critical hits. Lugia OHKO'd both my Dratini and Feraligatr with aeroblast :smalleek::smallfrown:

I'll miss them. :smallfrown:

Illven
2012-08-11, 12:08 AM
I have the worst luck I have ever seen with enemy critical hits. Lugia OHKO'd both my Dratini and Feraligatr with aeroblast :smalleek::smallfrown:

Well Aeroblast does have a high crit chance.... Ouch, you lost your starter.

Forrestfire
2012-08-11, 12:19 AM
Yeah... I have to go get some more pokemon. I haven't gotten anything from routes 26 and 27, new bark town, victory road or the safari zone.

EDIT: Oh right. Totally forgot about that.

NineThePuma
2012-08-11, 12:33 AM
Starter in new bark town :P

Mando Knight
2012-08-11, 12:47 AM

Moves with increased Critical Hit ratio: the bane of Nuzlocke runs. Don't diss Shell Armor when Nuzlocking, since a single crit is all the enemy needs to give you a bad day.

Illven
2012-08-11, 01:06 AM
Moves with increased Critical Hit ratio: the bane of Nuzlocke runs. Don't diss Shell Armor when Nuzlocking, since a single crit is all the enemy needs to give you a bad day.

/Battle armor.

I hated Elesa in my white nuzlocke. Killed my Herdier because like every third attack was a critical, so i ended up using all my healing potions.

But it's nice when you get the crit, and save the day heroically.