PDA

View Full Version : Knights of the Old Kingdom (IC)

Simba
2012-07-17, 12:15 AM
About a day's ride from the former Geradian capital of Harl, deep in Wheron territory, a steep hill rises 200 meters above the plains that spread all along the Harl river.

On the hill stand the ruins of what was once the strongest fortress in Geradia. Situated atop a long dead vulcano, Corion Hall was built in 1303 to be the chapterhouse of the Corion Knights. It was the last Geradian stronghold to fall to the hordes of Wheron.

As you slowly make your way towards Corion Hall you reach the causeway that winds around Corion Hill twice before reaching the inner Gatehouse. The first gate is in ruins, broken by catapult fire. You continue, riding higher and higher, with a strong wall to your left and a steep drop to your right. You pass 7 more gates before you reach the outer ward.

The inner Gatehouse is not broken like the rest, you realize. It has recently been repaired and seems to be in top condition. The artificial chasm before the gate has been cleared of rubble and promises a long fall to those foolish enough to trip.

You see nobody manning the walls and the drawbridge is up.

What do you do?

greenpotato
2012-07-17, 01:16 AM
Sabar readies her shield just in case the occupants are hostile and uses her offhand to cup the side off her mouth; "Hello!" she yells.

Simba
2012-07-17, 01:29 AM
The first to arrive, Sambar has to wait a few minutes until a man in armor steps out onto the battlements atop the inner gatehouse.

"Who seeks entrance into the house of Corion?" he demands.

As a knight of Touran, Sambar is not sure about the protocols of gaining entry into the chapterhouse of Corion, but he is sure there is a fairly evolved series of questions and answers involved.

greenpotato
2012-07-17, 01:33 AM
"Who is asking? This fortress is a shadow of it's former self and you could very well be a squatting brigand for all I know" She yells up at him.

Simba
2012-07-17, 01:40 AM
After a few seconds the man answers: "I am Sir Randon of the Knights of Corion, Keeper of the Gate."

After another second he repeats: "Who seeks entrance into the house of Corion?"

greenpotato
2012-07-17, 01:51 AM
"I am Sabar Anan, Knight of Touran and friend to the house of Corian, servant to the old kingdom of Geradia"

Simba
2012-07-17, 02:29 AM
"Welcome to Corion Hall, Sabar Anan, Knight of Touran. WE recognize your right to enter these halls, friend."

After a second, Sir Randon continues: "We are expecting a few more people soon. Please wait in the outer ward for them to arrive."

A minute later the drawbridge is lowered, opening access to the outer ward of Corion Hall.

mrcarter11
2012-07-17, 02:40 AM
As Belcor rides over the chasm, he sees the two before him speaking. His steed's steps light as the wind across it. Arriving to stand beside this other knight, Belcor announces himself.

"I am Belcor Lakar, of the Knights of Mercy, I have been asked to come here, and so here I am."

whoiam
2012-07-17, 02:51 AM
As Mamellek followed her fellow Knights in to the castle, it quickly became apparent that her horse had gone to seed faster than she had. She could still fit into her plate (though she hadn't worn it for the journey, it was in her saddlebags so she'd be a little less conspicuous), but the barding wasn't providing quite the same cover as it should have done... and come to think of it, she hadn't ridden the horse *that* hard to get here, but it seemed a little tired...

"Sister Mamellek, also of the Knights of Mercy."

Since there was a gatekeeper, and the two ahead of her had also announced themselves, Mamellek followed suit. Then followed them into the outer ward.

Sliver
2012-07-17, 02:53 AM
Kreig rode upon his steed up the hill, his cloak tight around his shoulders and his head low, only a few inches above the horse's neck. His plan was to scout a bit, while his steed would walk a bit behind. But then he heard the knights declaring themselves and decided to rush the horse and continue forward.

"I am Kreig Shadowfist." He announced as he pulled his mount to a halt by the other knights. "Of the Knights of the Flame. I am answering a message asking for my presence"

Medic
2012-07-17, 08:01 AM
Muushala stride aside her horse patting its neck.

"I am Muushala Arihant, elder daughter of Laern. I have answered the call to arms sent forth in a letter to my father. Praise be to Kord for his blessings. Coal and I (patting her horse) have come to assist in anyway possible. We represent the Knights Corion."

Muushala headed towards the other knights seeking out another Knight Corion in hopes of finding another who might know her father and pass along knowledge of his past. Her journey to make her father proud had truly begun and now she wanted to know WHO he was not just that he was a Knight. Perhaps someone here might know.

As Muushala stroke aside, Sabar she noted she was not the sole woman amongst them as she had feared she would be. Her fears allayed she raised her visor showing her blue eyes and bright face to all.

razorback
2012-07-17, 10:40 AM
As Devlin rides up towards the meeting point, he sees the other riders ahead of him. While he doesn't recognize any of them, they seem to carry the bearing of other knights.
"Still" he mutters to himself "I have not survived this long on believing what things appear to be."

Waiting until the last rider he can see moves up the pathway to the fortress, he urges his Starburst forward as he draws out his falchion and incants briefly, the force of protective magic invisible.

As he winds his way, he can hear words being spoken even if he can't make out the words. At the approach to the gate, here hears the challenge and responds
"I am Sir Devlin Hurshim, known as Trueheart, Knight of the Flame and former squire to Sir Havlin du’Solastair, may St. Cuthbert protect his soul. I seek entrance for I was summoned from afare and have heeded the call."

Azoth
2012-07-17, 05:00 PM
Seemingly the last to the party Ascherit rides up to others. Bouncing rather uncomfortably in the saddle to his horse. Even though he was taught to ride, he was never particularly good at it, and his nethers were paying the price. He pulled up along side the others with a faint grimace on his face and an urge to rub himself to help with the pain.

His chainmail and Chahar-Aina bore the symbols of the nine fold paths proudly. He cupped a hand to his mouth as he called out his own introduction.I am Blade Master Ascherit Stern. I belong to no order exclusively, but have worked with all orders. I am a friend to any knight, and a servant of the fallen Kingdom Geradia.

A small smile breaks across his face as he looks to the others. The hand that was used to help amplify his voice now used to wave to the others that were gathered. He didn't let the gate shift from view, but no sense in being uptight or so serious just yet.

whoiam
2012-07-17, 05:51 PM
"I'm sure you are, are, are, are and did." If there was one thing you picked up quickly in the clergy, it was a healthy dose of skepticism about the people you meet. Because you're expected to deal, either medically or metaphysically, with every type of evil that your flock choose to visit on one another...

Four Knights, one Replacement for a Knight, and one Blademaster arrived behind me. Two Knights arrived in front. There's a couple I might have been in the same battle as? But only one I recognise. I'll start with him.

"I have not seen a Brother of our order in many years, Sir Lakar. Though I'll admit... I've not exactly been searching for them. I was rather resigned to putting down roots in my little church until..." and she drew her letter of invitation out from under her cloak. Doubtless she wouldn't have to explain what it was, as the others should all have the same letter, no?

Sliver
2012-07-18, 12:31 AM
Kreig took a quick moment, scanning the knights as they come. Another brother of the order came, but Kreig didn't recognize him, which wasn't that odd, considering Kreig's training.

On the other hand, Ascherit was a man Kreig recognized. Training under him, even though their method of battle was different, Kreig learned much from Ascherit's style and teaching.

"Good day to you, master Stern." Kreig nodded to him. "Haven't seen you for quite a while, how have you been doing? I have to admit, your teaching saves my skin a few times during the war so... Thank you." Kreig smiles slightly.

mrcarter11
2012-07-18, 01:34 AM
At had been many years since he had seen another from his chapter. And while he wasn't expecting to see anyone he knew, he wasn't about to be upset about finding another member of the Knights of Mercy.

"Greetings sister. I haven't been looking either. I've spent the years in my hamlet sharpening swords for the new youths.

Belcor swings himself over the side of his mount to dismount. As he does so, his warhorse fades away into the light, as if it was never there to begin with.

Medic
2012-07-18, 08:29 AM
Sliding out of her saddle Muushala landed to the ground lightly. She whispered to Coal and with a flourish the dirt and grime of their trip was magically cleansed from them.

"Rest Coal I fear we will have hard days ahead of us. The remains of our orders building lays in ruin much like our lands thank to the Wherans. Go now and rest."
Much as Belcor's horse had vanish Coal walked several steps than vanished likewise.

Turning to Sabar Muushala inquired, "Lady Sabar, I have come from Fontel to represent the Knights Corion. If I may inquire where do you make your home?"

Simba
2012-07-18, 08:51 AM
I hope you don't mind if I let your characters get to know each other before moving on. Continue as long as you feel like it.

You are in a long but narrow area that forms the outer ward of Coreon Hall. It is about 20 - 25 meters wide but some of you know that it runs almost fully around the inner castle before ending at the massive gates of the Donjon, the true inner heart of Coreon Hall.

There are high walls on both sides, with battlements protecting each side and no stairs leading up on either side. The area is grassy and offers room enough for a whole herd of horses to graze.

Everything is in top condition as if recently repaired. It seems the state of the outer gates is a ruse to make the Wheron believe nothing has changed. The restauration and rebuilding must have taken a long time and cost a great deal of money.

Except for you, there is only one person in sight, Sir Randon, who let you in and is still standing atop the gate, but now looking inwards. He seems to be perfectly happy with your talking, as if he was waiting for something specific to happen.

razorback
2012-07-18, 09:59 AM
Some of the names he has heard of from the assembled group around him and some he hasn't, as Devlin greets each in turn with a firm handshake and giving of names.

For the first time since he can remember, he feels at ease and lets his guard down a bit and relaxes, comfortable with his brothers-in-arms.

greenpotato
2012-07-18, 05:37 PM
Sabar responds to Muushala; "I am Sabar, a knight of Touran. I come from the trollands. My past few years I have been living in something of an exile since geradia fell."

Azoth
2012-07-18, 06:51 PM
Ascherit smiled to Kriegg, "I have been well enough. I managed to start a small academy after the orders were disbanded. Some promise in the boys I have been training. Though...I do have to admit, I didn't miss these saddles. So painful for my nethers."

He broke to let out a small chuckle before continuing"There is no need to thank me Kriegg. I did my job, and you showed promise. I am glad to see you are still alive though, so don't make me feel old before my days. Just call me Ascherit. How have your days been since we last saw one another?"

Medic
2012-07-18, 08:05 PM
"An Exile sounds awful. Perhaps now that your exile has ended, so to speak we can enjoy our time together fighting along side our fellow knights. Who exiled you? or was it self imposed?"

Muushala paused a moment,

"or perhaps it is not my place to ask such questions. I do apologize if I have offended."

whoiam
2012-07-18, 08:15 PM
Dismounting as well, Mamellek replies to Belcor "You lucky thing, sharpening their swords? I'd swap for that in an instant. 10 years of having to listen to boys admitting that spying on the milkmaids changing makes their pants feel funny?"

At which point, Ascherit makes his comment about the ride hurting him in his special place.

"Or that old favourite of the older boys, 'Priest, Priest, I've been hit, kicked, scratched or bitten on my manhood! Could you Lay on Hands for me, Priest?'. I've never been quite so appreciative of what the Nuns offered me - growing up without being surrounded by adolescent boys was a tremendous blessing."

Back on the ground, Mamellek pats her horse on the rear to encourage it to wander away from the rest of the group. Unlike several of the others, hers does not disappear - it's a flesh and blood horse and completely non-magical.

To Ascherit, she offered the comment "Sounds like you need more padding on your saddle." Because after her earlier comments on the subject, she wasn't about to offer a healing spell, was she?

And finally, to Muushala, the remark "I think, apart from you, we are all either exiles or hunted fugitives in the eyes of the lands now controlled by Wheron. I'm not entirely certain - some of your faces are unfamiliar to me - but I think you are the only one of us not to fight against the Wheron Invasion. Let's just say that none of us accepted the offer to swear loyalty to Wheron and be forgiven." Some of the other Knights probably did switch sides after the end, but this group was formed entirely of those who were still loyal to the orders...

Sliver
2012-07-19, 12:32 AM
Kreig laughs lightly at Ascherit's comment. "I've been traveling the land, keeping the routes safe, the villages peaceful and the old laws remembered and followed. As much as I could, anyway." He admits. "Luckily for this cloak and my skills, shelter is wherever I wish to rest, and it is hard for one to find me, or know who me is, so I was pretty free to act as I wish."

"As for horses... I guess I have to thank my father. My fighting style isn't really fitting to horse riding, but he insisted, so my skills are pretty decent." He says as he climbs down from his mount. "Although I wish he would have come to your lessons. I don't think he ever managed to perfect his defensive style..." Kreig pauses for a second. "I am quite certain he did not make it..."

Turning to Sir Randon for a moment, Kreig asks "Are there stables inside, or should we let our horses graze?"

Kreig sighs at Mamellek's mention of fighting the invasion. "Well, I doubt his presence would have changed the tides. Perhaps it's even for the best... Even with the preparations we had undertaken they were able to take over."

Azoth
2012-07-19, 03:15 PM
Ascherit's chuckle turned into big smile as he lsitened to Mamelleck. "Can't say I'd ever let a priest lay hands on my manhood...no matter how bad it hurt. Now a young pretty priestess or nun or even nurse maid on the other hand...they can always lay hands or speak togues over my manhood. Make it feel worlds better than even if I laid hands on it." . His smile grew from ear to ear as he finished and looked around. Hopefully it got a chuckle from atleast a few of the other men.

He continued after only the briefest pause to scan the others. "Ah padding, how I miss something soft between my legs to cushion the blows of a rough ride. I think more than a few of ya can agree. I think we all miss a bit of cushion for the pushin' these days. No doubt, even you, yourself would like something a little less stifff betwixt your legs all those hours Mam. Make a long hard ride a good deal more enjoyable for ya eh?"

Chuckling like a man with one too many tankards of ale Ascherit dismounts his horse and looks to Krieg. "I am glad you have managed to keep up the fight, and survive so long where our brothers have fallen. I would have liked to have your father as I am sure he was a great man and could have learned and taught a lot to me. As for the invasion, you should know that in the end we can't win them all. Though, hopefully those of us gathered here today can give thos bastards a pain in their rears and a bitter salty taste that will never leafe their mouths'."

Simba
2012-07-19, 11:52 PM
You talk shop for a while until from the direction of the Donjon a small procession of knights move into view.

Leading them is a huge man in full plate armour astride an equally huge white warhorse. The blue banner handing from his lance identify him as belonging to the Knights of Coreon.

Behind him 3 more knights ride side by side, representing the other 3 orders.

One is a woman in her late 30ies while the other 2 are men around 50 or so.

Behind them ride 20 more knights, all Coreons.

The procession stops about 5 meters from where you are and the man in the lead looks at you for a while, giving you time to react to their presence.

greenpotato
2012-07-20, 12:39 AM
Sabar addresses the large rider "Greetings Sir, I am Sabar Anan, Knight of Touran. I see that the order of Coreon can still muster a few lances, this pleases me. I hope that you fine men and women still uphold the set of ideals that you're order was founded upon"

razorback
2012-07-20, 01:18 PM
Devlin nods as the riders approach, walking over to Starburst and stilling him with a hand on the back of his neck.

As he looks at the procession and sees that there are Knights of the Flame, he looks to see if any are ones that he knows or recognizes.

Medic
2012-07-21, 07:33 AM
Muushala beams to see the huge man wearing the colors of Coreon. To herself she think, "That is a knight indeed. and Praise be to Kord there are more knights then I had hoped. This is an exellent day to wear the blue of Coreon"Seeing the Knights of the other orders arrive is even more exciting for Muushala.

Seeing the monster of a man pause Muushala snaps a salute to him and puffs out her chest as if to say "Reporting for duty Sir. Please tell me where I am needed."

whoiam
2012-07-21, 11:50 AM
Mamellek was starting to wind herself up for a very sarcastic response to Ascherit's rather sexist joke... when she was interrupted by the procession. The sight of a third Knight of Mercy in their ranks was more than enough to convince her to keep her irritation to herself.

My reputation among the order is poor enough already, no need to make them think even worse of me.

"Sister Mamellek, " is how she chooses to introduce herself. It was, after all, how she was addressed by her fellow Knights the last time she *was* a Knight. "of the Knights of Mercy."

And if I'd just worn my armor I wouldn't have needed to say *that*. Or just my shield. This is why I should have worn something in my own colors...

Azoth
2012-07-21, 04:29 PM
Ascherit looks to the procession and rubs the back of his head lightly. He always did hate meetings. Especially, when if he said the wrong thing, it was not going to be good for him. He let his hand fall back to his side as the other's finished their introductions.
"Blade Master of the Nine Fold Paths, Ascherit Stern. How may I be of service?"

Medic
2012-07-21, 08:08 PM
Muushala ponders to herself seeing the Knights Coreon atop their horses if she really deserves to consider herself their equals. Her already fragile emotional state is pressed and she fights desperately to hold it together.

She sees the men and women her father fought beside parading by and cannot help but think of him. Has he passed or is he better? Will he come riding up behind her and send her home?

While these thoughts and a million others swirl about her head she stands tall in the face of so many fears. Under her breathe she mutters, "Kord give me strength."

whoiam
2012-07-21, 08:38 PM
Priest-sense tingling (It's like a spider sense, but instead of warning of danger it warns of upcoming spiritual crises), Mamellek's attention rapidly slewed around from the Knights before her to the Knight Substitute off to her side. It was the invocation of a deity that clued her in to Muushala's need of a little reassurance.

And so it came to pass, that a few moments later, a hand landed on Muushala's shoulder, and a quiet voice whispered words of encouragement into her ear.

"Don't worry, they're quite tame. They don't bite, they don't bolt, and they're thoroughly housebroken. Even the Knight of Touran."

Medic
2012-07-21, 08:51 PM
Muushala giggles slightly at Mamellek's comment. Whispering back, "So long as most of them are not as crude as Ascherit. I believe I will be fine. Thank you for your kind words."

Sliver
2012-07-22, 12:37 AM
Kreig, still holding his horses reins, glanced at the riding knights. He glanced at the Knight of the Flame, trying to recognize him, but doubting he can.

He really didn't know how to respond to that group riding in. Operating alone for so long, he wondered why he never seen them. An organized group of knights that didn't try to leave impact upon the land, didn't try to improve the lives of the people that looked up to them. Kreig hoped there is a good reason for that, that some sort of greater scheme to save the entire kingdom was brewing, something that demanded they remain under the radar, because otherwise...

Kreig unclenched his fist and breathed in, not realizing his feelings almost surfaced. He remained silent.

Simba
2012-07-22, 08:56 AM
After waiting for a few seconds so you can come together, the huge knight in front clears his throat: "Welcome to Coreon Hall, brothers and sisters. My name is Sir Carmion, preceptor of the Knights Coreon. I am honored to receive you here and hope that together we can revive something that has been believed to be dead for years now. Together with the preceptors of the other orders we will ask you to help us in making that dream come true. Please follow us to the hall so we can eat, drink and get to know each other. We have a proposal for you that we would like you to think over. Geradia is dead, but then it might now have to stay that way. Together, we want to bring it back. Follow me!"

razorback
2012-07-22, 10:19 AM
Devlin nodded agreement to Sir Carmion said. Taking Starburst's to the stables, he patted the war horse one last time while murmering "Stay well, old friend. I shall be back soon."
Pulling an apple from his coat, he fed it to Starburst before making his way back to the courtyard.

As he walked back, most of the others gathered had made their way into the hall. As he caught up with the last of the group that had gathered, he sat at a table and took some drink while waiting to be served.

Kn:History to see if he knows or knows anything about Sir Carmion.
[roll0]

Also, who would be the head of the Knights of the Flame?

Azoth
2012-07-22, 04:10 PM
Ascherit made his way after the man. His guard up the entire walk. Not that he was afraid of being attacked, but due to how implausible this seemed. The orders surviving this long without outside support. They even managed to hide themselves from the eyes of the conquering nation, and any who weren't directly involved. This holding up for a decade, only to reach out now. It didn't add up, but he would go along for now. If only to see what their intentions truly were.

whoiam
2012-07-22, 04:38 PM
As Mamellek followed Devlin to the stables (she had to take care of her horse, as well), her mood was fairly close to the opposite of Ascherit's. She was convinced this was genuine. Many groups of Geradian soldiers had continued the fight against Wheron even beyond the point where the majority of the orders had conceded. It was not beyond the bounds of possibility for a group of Knights to do the same. And the restoration work suggested that not only were some of them left, but that those survivors were beginning to get serious about taking the fight to Wheron...

...and while she'd walked away from the chance to devote her life to ambushing Wheron patrols on murky country roads, the potential to strike a blow that actually mattered against the invaders was one that had her inner 15-year-old-initiate roaring in approval...

By the time she reached the hall and helped herself to some water, she was so busy fantasising about the war to come that the grown-up side of her mind was having trouble making itself heard. Things aren't that simple it tried to tell her. The numbers are against us. Even if their plan works, it won't be a thing of massed ranks and glory. We don't have the ranks. If this is going to be won, it will have to be fought in the darkness.

Sadly, she wasn't prepared to listen to any of her own cynicism, and the fantasies continued...

Medic
2012-07-22, 08:48 PM
Muushala follow into the Hall to partake in the food and drink provided.

Sense Motive: [roll0] to discern if anyone has figured out who she is or if they even care.

"A proposal. I wonder what that exactly means" she thought to herself. The pit of her stomach ached as she thought about what exactly she might have gotten herself into.

To be sure Muushala was about to find out if she was truly out of her league or not. Her thoughts strayed to her father and of how she might hear from him. Her magical capabilities are not such that she could contact him but perhaps someone here could.

Muushala thought to herself, "Mamellek might have that capability. If I recall my fathers words when I was younger the Knights of Mercy were powerful healers with connections to the Gods. I might even find one amongst us who worships Kord" These thoughts excited her and lifted her spirits.

Simba
2012-07-24, 10:46 AM
Also, who would be the head of the Knights of the Flame?

Sir Carmion was one of the higher ranking knights before the order was disbanded. He is reputed to be a horror on the battlefield, his fury tempered by wisdom beyond his years.

You have no idea who it might be...scary, neh?

Simba
2012-07-24, 10:49 AM
You are led to a huge hall inside the Donjon, where a meal has been prepared for you. In addition to the knights you met outside about a dozen more are present.

The meal itself is nothing too grand, but well prepared and enough to fill your bellies.

When the meal is finished the people gather in small groups to talk. You find yourself standing together, drawn to each other by your common position here.

Medic
2012-07-24, 11:16 AM
In hushed voice, "So this is what it comes to. I like being the center of attention but this is a bit much even for me. Does anyone know why we were summoned and what mission they are setting before us? Even a hint or inclination of what we are expecting" Muushala looked over to Ascherit as if to say "You look like you done this before say something!"

Sliver
2012-07-24, 02:11 PM
Kreig looked around, examining the crowd. This sort of thing was too... Unsettling for him. "This is not what I expected..." He said quietly. "Since officially, the orders were disbanded, I didn't expect anything so... Ceremonial." Kreig noted as he sighed.

"The meal is alright, but the entrance, the knights organized with escorts and all the fuss around the meeting itself. Don't get me wrong, most of my time is wasted on travel, it's not like I have a schedule to keep, but still... I rather they just get to the point first, so we have something to discuss while we eat, like strategy."

razorback
2012-07-24, 02:52 PM
"Well, I don't know about you two" Devlin says in repsonse to Kreig and Muushala " but a good, warm meal has been too long for my belly. I have had meals and some have been warm, but none of them for as long as I remember were good." He smiles at those around him.
"I have fought these past ten years with rarely an ally except my noble steed, Starburst. If am to join my fellow knights in a campaign against the Wheronians, so much the better. If it doesn't suit my tastes, then I will be out on my own again, the better for knowing that at least some of my bretheren continue the fight."

Azoth
2012-07-24, 08:03 PM
Ascherit didn't eat. He was set to do business before any form of pleasure or nicety. When they were all gathered a soft breath left him. I dunno what's going on, but they don't seem the type to poison a meal to make us agree. That alone is comforting, well for those of us who ate. Maybe this won't be bad. Though I do hope my school is doing well, and will continue so while I am away. If it gets burned down...I swear I will tan Koinzell's backside from here to the freeze!

Simba
2012-07-26, 02:00 AM
After a while the woman you met outside walks over to you all. She nods in greeting: "Welcome to Coreon Hall, brothers and sisters. I am Lady Fella of the Knights of the Flame. I was elected to lead the order for now. I am sure you have questions concerning our meeting here. I will answer to the best of my ability, feel free to ask."

She looks at you, clearly awaiting questions from you. Now that you can take a closer look at her she is clearly a little older than she first seemed to be. Close to 40, you guess. She wears her long red hair open, falling down her back. Her eyes are light green.

greenpotato
2012-07-26, 02:30 AM
"Well to start with, why now?" asks Sabar

Simba
2012-07-26, 02:54 AM
Lady Fella

"Ever since the orders were disbanded we made preparations for their revival. We were sure that one day a king would come who would want us back to serve him. When the kingdom fell two years later and most of us died with it we met in secret and decided to let things settle for a while. Certain things had to be done, but we did not want to draw any attention to our continued existence. Only a very small group of people knew about it. We looked in on many of our bretheren over the years, but never openly. Last year we met once more, all 19 of us, here in the ruins. We decided to wait no longer. It is time. We need to move or it will be too late. So we gathered what forces we could and stepped up our activities. There is a small army of former knights out there, living their lives but ready to heed our call. First of all we asked for money so we could get everyone equipped and ready. We repaired this fortress, for example. It is not as strong as it used to be, but it will serve as a secret base for now."

razorback
2012-07-26, 07:19 AM
Devlin raises his hand and when Lady Fella looks over he bows to her.
"Lady, please forgive my impertinence but I was unaware of said elections. Who was involved in the process? Also, what plans have you for us and what of your plans for the Wheronians?"

Simba
2012-07-26, 07:29 AM
Lady Fella

"Those elections were more symbolic, I fear. We asked all those of our order we could easily reach. There will be new elections once we have a more stable environment. Until then my services will have to do. Why you are here is something Sir Carmion will explain later tonight. I am sure he will call for you soon enough. All I can say is that you will be asked to undertake a mission of utmost importance for the future of our kingdom. Wheron we will meet on the field of battle, if things go right. Next year, we hope. Geradia needs to be reborn!"

Sliver
2012-07-26, 08:47 AM
Kreig bows slightly. "I would honor the decision of my fellow brothers in arms, even if I had not the chance to voice my opinion. I'm a knight of the flame as well, but I do not know if you are familiar with my set if skills and would like to sit down and share my knowledge to better coordinate actions."

Kreig pauses for a moment before going on. "I didn't really choose the way of secrecy, but I see the need of a different approach, yet I'm glad we were finally included in the affairs. How many of the orders are there yet alive?"

Simba
2012-07-26, 09:55 AM
Lady Fella

"We have been in contact with 63 sofar. We know of or suspect the existence of about a dozen more. 70 out of more than 300 is not much, I fear. There are quite a few oldtimers and a few now, untried members in training included in those figures. And they include you and Sir Devlin, of course. The other orders have had fewer losses and an easier time recruiting new members so those numbers are greater. I guess there are about 500 true knights on our side right now and about 300 untried members. A rough guess, but adequate."

Sliver
2012-07-26, 03:16 PM
Kreig nods sadly, "Indeed, it is harder to learn and find talent for the arcane arts rather than purely martial arts, but I am sure each knight's skill will be invaluable." Kreig looks around the hall, including the fellow knights next to him.

"Can you tell us more about what the orders did in the years since the fall of Geradia?"

Medic
2012-07-26, 05:09 PM
"and what of us who were never Knight but represent our families with great pride? Are we to be placed amongst the 300 untried member or will we remain here?"

Muushala feared she would be set aside to"learn" how to fight and left to be ferrying rations and supplies instead of battling the enemy as she desired.

Simba
2012-07-27, 01:01 AM
Lady Fella

Lady Fella turns to Muushala first: "Have no fear, you will not be sent away for training. You have proven your dedication by coming here. And you will face your task as a group."

"What we did in the last 10 years? Some hid their affiliation for reasons of their own, others stood tall and proud. As an organisation, we did not do much for a few years. It took Sir Carmion and his vision of a Geradia reborn to shake us from our lethargy. We have been busy indeed ever since, recruiting from the old generation and from the young equally. We found some rather well organised cells of knights actively fighting Wheron and brought them on board. We rebuilt some strategically important castles, as well. And we got started on logistics. Moving equipment and food for hundreds of men right under the noses of the Wheron garrisons has been hard, but fun."

Medic
2012-07-27, 10:09 AM
Muushala beamed at the Lady's words. Her time was coming and she would charge forth with this band to right the course of Geradia.

"If you have been stockpiling arms and armor where are you storing it all? This fortress is fairly large but it cannot possibly be concealing all that you have spoken of. Is there a second place we are using as an alternate Headquarters? Do you think the common folks of Geradia will be in favor of our return or see us as "a little late to the party"?"More and more questions churned within her but she realized they were staring at here as if to say "SHUTUP ALREADY".

Azoth
2012-07-27, 09:23 PM
Ascheri finally spoke after the initial questions. His tone even and neutral as his eyes leveled on the representative before them.
What are our objectives? What is our destination? Our time of departure? Aside that, our mode of transportation and armament would be nice to know. If we are to use aliases, please inform us of them now.

I would like to hear the request, before personal curiousities prevail, and we are swept off course. After all, there was a reason for our summons.

Simba
2012-07-29, 04:02 AM
Lady Fella

"We don't put things in one or 2 places but have distributed the equipment all over the land, in small stockpiles. The people are firmly on our side, at least outside the cities. In the cities it is more even, with people supporting both sides.

As far as your questions are concerned, Sir Carmion will talk to you soon, I think he will invite you to his study for a meeting. I don't think I should talk about it before that."

razorback
2012-07-30, 01:03 PM
Devlin stops his small talk while Lady Fella talks, taking in what she says, before continuing his conversation with the gathered knights.

razorback
2012-07-30, 01:10 PM
Devlin stops his small talk while Lady Fella talks, taking in what she says, before continuing his conversation with the gathered knights.

Sliver
2012-07-30, 10:41 PM
*Casts Reveal Double Post*

Simba
2012-07-31, 12:37 AM
Lady Fella

Lady Fella looks at something at the back of the room for a second, then smiles: "I think you will get some more answers soon. Sir Carmion asks you to join him in his study. Please follow me."

She waits for you to assemble, then leads you to a small door at the back of the hall that leads to a staircase taking you to the next level, where she walks down a short corridor before stopping in front of another door.

"This is it. I will wait outside."

You knock and enter a room about 30' wide and 40' long, with tapestries hanging on the wall depicting knights in battle. There are a few bookshelves, a table with 8 chairs around it and a smaller table near the back of the room. Narrow, high windows along the wall provide light and a fireplace warmth.

In front of one of the windows you can see a man standing with his back to you, just turning around to face you as you enter.

"Please sit down" Sir Carmion says, "I will be with you presently."

Medic
2012-07-31, 09:06 AM
Muushala follows the man's request and takes a seat such that she is positioned with her back to a side wall. She sits and patiently waits for the others to follow her in and join her at the table. Her excitement bubbles from her as she await what she hopes is a grand adventure.

Sliver
2012-07-31, 11:38 AM
Kreig sat down silently. He waited to find out what was the meeting truly about.

razorback
2012-07-31, 02:58 PM
Devlin, noting the condition of the structure as they follow Lady Fella, is not sure what to think.

Seeing his fellow Knight of the Flame enter and sits next to him with a nod.

Azoth
2012-08-01, 01:41 AM
Ascherit followed slowly, his mind taking in everything around him. As they entered the room, he remained standing. He made sure to keep his back to a wall and awaited what they were brought here for.

Simba
2012-08-01, 01:50 AM
Sir Carmion

Sir Carmion takes a rolled piece of leather from a bookcase and walks over to you. Noticing Ascherit still standing he smiles: "Please sit down, you have nothing to fear here."

Sir Carmion is an imposing figure, tall with broad shoulders and big hands. His greying hair is cut short, military style. He wears chainmail, but his sword and shield are left leaning against the wall near the window. His most impressive feature however is his voice, deep and warm. It is a voice people tend to listen to.

Carmion sits down in one of the free seats and leans back as he waits for all of you to be seated. The leather scroll is on the table in front of him, still rolled up.

Azoth
2012-08-02, 02:32 PM
Ascherit looks to the man a bit warily, but moves to an open seat. Best to oblige this man, so that there is no confrontation this early in the meeting.

whoiam
2012-08-02, 03:37 PM
Having reasoned that once you were unarmed in the middle of someone else's fortress you may as well assume they're friendly, Mamellek shows none of Ascherit's hesitation in joining the others in their seats. What she shows instead is a strange lack of urgency, almost as though she'd recently ridden half-way across the country and was rather stiff as a result.

Fancy that.

"He probably does, you know, Sir Carmion. It's in the nature of the human mind - one who is used to an emotion, whether fear, or suspicion, friendship or love will often bring their own supply with them regardless of need or utility. The mind is a wonderful thing, no?"

Don't start a sermon, don't start a sermon, don't start a sermon...

Although as she slid into one of the chairs, she noticed that she wasn't the slowest to reach a seated position.

"I'm sorry, you are not my flock so I should abstain from preaching. You just happened to touch on a subject I find fascinating."

mrcarter11
2012-08-02, 03:52 PM
Belcor doesn't move immediately. His thoughts are still on other subjects such as why now. Even after everything they had been told, it didn't make sense. Why hadn't that opposed from the start, but hopefully this legion of knights knew what they were doing.

Moving slowly he took a seat at the table and waited for the mission to be handed out.

Azoth
2012-08-03, 03:00 AM
Ascherit's brow furrowed as he turned his head towards Mamelleck. His eyes shooting daggers from under the recesses of their sockets. His tone flat and harsh as he spoke.
"Not all of us have had the pleasure of sitting on our growing rears preaching to the huddled masses looking for free salvation. Some of us have fought and lived a life of danger and death. So save the sermons for when you are home and done playing knight in shining armor."

razorback
2012-08-03, 06:17 PM
Devlin holds his hand out at Ascherit.

"Peace, brother." he says to his fellow knight "While I, too, have fought long and hard during our 'exile', the call we answer is not the same for all. The gods, it is said, guides our hands and fate plays into our decisions more than we know. And while we all fight with swords and arms, not all the battles are won on the field. Indeed, keeping those who would stand against Wheron faithful is a battle on a different field but no less important."
Devlin sits back in his chair, not realizing that he had leaned forward to talk to Ascherit.
"Fighting or bickering amongst ourselves serves no end except Whereon."

whoiam
2012-08-03, 09:32 PM
I really, really, really, REALLY want to have Mamellek snipe back at Ascherit. Something along the lines of 'Maybe you needed to hire better guards for your academy then... or were you referring to the Wheron invasion that we *both* fought against?'

*sigh* So many snippy replies I cannot write without breaking character. What a waste:(

It wouldn't be appropriate. But now he's revealed a short temper I just wanna prod it...

"Oddly enough I think Ascherit and I were at the beginning of an important discussion - at least, important if the two of us are to work together for any length of time. But it can, of course, wait until Sir Carmion has given us our allotted task..."

The response to Ascherit's outburst was supplied with a faintly amused smile. That's all. Presumeably this isn't the first time Mamellek's been challenged in such a manner... though Ascherit probably does have a better chance of killing her than most of the angry men she encounters...

Medic
2012-08-05, 04:06 PM
Diplomacy: [roll0]

"Really Ascherit is it necessary to start our first mision with needless banter and drivel? It is obvious you have lived a life far harsher than I but there is no reason to call Mamelleck's backside continually expanding. I know that would be more than enough to get my ire up. She is amazing self restraint either that or she knows just how dangerous you are.

In either event, I want another healer amongst us and I am sure you would likewise. So please, refrain from openly mocking, degrading or making excessively sarcastic remarks about buttocks or any other body parts."

Azoth
2012-08-06, 03:16 PM
Ascherit let out a soft strained breath as he knew he would lose this argument. Too many against him, and words were not the arena he prefered to compete in. Shifting his eyes across the room, he decided his course of action.
Fine, I hold the obvious and more malicious words at bay, and you lot hold the sermons until I am out of ear shot. I hear preaching, and I will speak my mind freely.

whoiam
2012-08-06, 04:27 PM
"Consider what I let slide when we were first introducing ourselves to each other: Comments about Ascherit's fantasy of (or possibly love of) being intimately touched by female priests, his fondness for women's arses (particularly the voluptuous ones) and his suggestion that most of our love lives are less than satisfactory. For a bare handful of sentences, it was a wonderfully crafted display of innuendo.

So keep your 'deal', Ascherit. The words you use when you are trying to hurt me are no worse - and in many ways *less insulting* - than the ones you used while trying to be friendly. I think I may prefer you being angry: At least that way I'm fairly certain that the non-derogatory portions of your speeches are honest representations of your feelings.

As for the rest of you... Maybe Muushala needs you to defend her 'honor'. Mine has long since been lost, so I require no such consideration. Indeed I would prefer if you did not intercede in such personal attacks in future: not that I do not appreciate the help, but I prefer to defend myself on the rare occasions when I consider it to be necessary.

Now, shall we move on to our actual business?"

Simba
2012-08-07, 12:30 AM
Sir Carmion

"Welcome to Coreon Hall and thank you for coming. I know you must be wondering why you are here and what is going on. I will tell you, but first I have to ask for your promise to keep what I will tell you secret. We are at a crossroads right now. Our plans are in motion, but success is in no way certain. Our enemies are numerous and not all of them are Wherons. I need to be sure that you are dedicated to the cause of a new Geradia, to the return of the knightly orders. Can I trust you to keep what I will tell you to yourselves? If you don't want to help us you are free to walk away. If after I tell you of your task you are unwilling to help you can decline. We will not harm you as long as you keep it to yourselves. What do you say? Are you willing to hear me out and do you promise to not betray our cause?"

Looking at each of you Sir Carmion sees your nods and smiles: "Thank you. Please bear with me, I have go back a few years to explain why we are doing what we do now."

"History books tell of the struggle for power after King Leord I, eldest son of King Larius III and Queen Ehola died in a hunting accident in the year 1396, 16 years ago. His younger brothers - Greon, Farion and Larius the bastard were at each others' throats for 3 years until Larius won and crowned himself Larius IV in the year 1399. In this struggle both of Leord's children were slain and his wife Leonia entered a cloister. Officially, the line of Gerad the Founder ended with Leord I."

"Until a few years ago I believed this to be true, but it is not. Queen Leonia was with child when she fled to the cloister and gave birth to a son in 1397. The infant child was given to Count Hodor, a rather poor noble with holdings close to the Trollands, for fostering by the abbess of the cloister, swearing him to secrecy in order to protect the newborn babe's life. Naming the boy Leon, that minor noble raised him as his own. He knew that the child was the true king of Geradia so his education was the best he could give. He called me to his court to instruct the boy in the knightly arts. I did not know who the boy was until Count Hodor died and revealed his identity to me in his will."

"Believe me when I say that I was uncertain, but when I looked at the boy I saw the resemblance. I knew I had to give the boy a chance to get his kingdom back so I contacted a few of my former brothers and sisters and we met and talked. We decided to do what we could to make the newborn dream true. We started contacting other knights and organizing things. Now we believe we are ready to make our move."

"We have established a conditional treaty with one of our neighbors, Veer. Marin, the king of Veer, is old and has no sons. He has, however, a granddaughter of 14 years called Varania, heiress to his throne. He agreed to join our efforts - and potentially our kingdoms - if Leon and Varania agree to get married. This is where you come in. In the name of Geradia I ask you to travel to the late count Hodor's castle and talk to Leon. He does not yet know who he is, so you will have to explain a few things to him. If he agrees you are to take him to the city of Veer, where King Marin and Varania will meet him. If things go well we will then have Veer's army in addition to the forces we have been able to put together. Once the army is on the move you will form Leon's kingsguard, sworn to defend him with your lives. He will be the target of attacks, he will be in danger all the way to Harl. Knowing him - having taught him myself - I know he will not be leading his armies from the back. He will be with the men, right in the thick of it. Keep him alive!"

Sir Carmion pauses for a few seconds to let things sink in. Then he continues: "We believe we have most of the nobles in the area of former Geradia on our sides. They will pledge their forces to our cause if Leon has Veer backing him. This will add to our forces, bringing us to a total strength of about 35000 men. Some of those will be needed to defend territory already won and to take castles of nobles who back Wheron, so we hope to have about 20000 men moving on our former capital, Harl, late next summer. Wheron has a standing army of about 50000 men under arms. About 25000 of those are stationed in Geradia, 10000 of them in or around Harl. We need to move quickly if we want to have any chance of success. If those 10000 soldiers pull back into Harl we will have a lengthy siege on our hands, one we can not afford. If the rest of Wheron's army crosses the Wheron river before we are firmly established we will have a hard time winning this war. But we have planned everything, discussed a million possibilities, made contingencies and backup plans. We believe we can win this war if we do things right. Once we take Harl we can defend the Wheron river border and keep Wheron out of Geradia. We have the element of surprise on our side, we have strong leadership and we have the knightly orders. We can do this!"

Once more, Sir Carmion pauses, looking at you, seeing your reactions. His mien is hopefull, his eyes are bright.

"I know this is big. It is risky. A lot can go wrong. Even if it works it will be hard. But it has a chance to work. We will make it work. We will resurrect Geradia, joined with Veer. We will put a king of Gerad the Founder's blood back on the throne. We will reestablish the knightly orders. We will make this dream come true. Are you with us?"

Sliver
2012-08-07, 06:13 AM
Kreig listened quietly as Carmion talked. As the knight finished talking, Kreig nodded, "I'm with you." He said as he stood up and stepped away from Carmion. Kreig thought for a moment, then drew a flask full of hot tea from his cloak and took a sip, before returning it into the cloak.

"But I do still have a couple of questions. How much does Leon know about his heritage? Does he believe Count Hodor to be his father, or suspects the real reason behind the extended lessons?" Kreig turned back to look at Carmion. "I realize there is still a lot for you to do, so you would not be accompanying us. But it is likely that Leon already trusts you, as his teacher. Perhaps there is some token that you could give us that we would present to Leon to gain his trust? Is there any proof of his linage and claim to throne that we could present to him to make it easier for him to digest?"

Simba
2012-08-07, 06:37 AM
Sir Carmion

"I have written a letter for him, one that explains everything. He knows he is Hodor's adopted son, he just doesn't know who his parents were. Hodor left him the king's signet ring, but it is not to be given to him until circumstances are right. He will have a hard time believing everything, but there is also a letter to him from his mother. I think with all that evidence he will come to believe. If he still doesn't believe bring him here before you go to Veer. It would be much more dangerous, but he will believe me, face to face."

razorback
2012-08-07, 07:07 AM
Devlin sat back, shocked to his core.
<The line has not ended... all these years have not been in vain> he thought to himself.
He shook his head to clear his thoughts as Carmion and Kreig talked.

"What if Leon and Varania choose not to enter into a union? Will Leon do his duty and marry this young lady for the good of his soon to be kingdom, even if the two despised each other? You know the boy well, and may know his heart, but what of the girl, too? Will she listen to her fathers dictates?"

He asked the questions because he knew they needed to be asked, but deep down he also knew that if the boy proved to be the true heir, he would stand by his side to the gates of hell, his sworn oaths not forgotten.

Medic
2012-08-07, 08:19 AM
Muushala absorbed the request made of them. She was inwardly repulsed at the idea that a union would be forced on anyone in this manner but she understood that if Geradia was to be rebuilt sacrifice would have to be made for one and all.

"Sir Carmion,

If I were to walk up to you and tell you that you were King of Geradia would you believe me? We, and someone correct me if I am wrong, have never met Leon. What do you know that would allow us to persuade him into believing our story? Do you have something from his mother that might be used to persuade him? What of the Queen you did not say she had past on to the afterlife and that it seems she might still live in that same cloister. Are we to ignore her existence and keep that fact hidden from our future King?"

Sense Motive:
I would like to determine if Sir Camion is being truthful with regard to this story or if he is proping up a figurehead he can control and take over Geradia.

Medic
2012-08-07, 08:22 AM
Roll for Sense Motive above
[roll0]

Woohoo what a wasted post :smallsmile:

Simba
2012-08-07, 08:46 AM
Sir Carmion

"If Leon and Varania decide to not get married it is within their rights. It would be a sad thing, truely, but a fact we have to accept. We are no monsters, we are knights. I think even then there might be a chance, unless they really despise each other. Wheron is not a good neighbor to have, but neither was Geradia. Now, both kingdoms combined - by marriage or treaty - that would be something different. I think we best leave that to the hearts and good sense of the young. We can only hope and prey. And prepare."

"The old queen is still alive, but her health is failing fast. If Leon needs her to be sure you can take him there on your way to Veer. It would only cost you a few days. She will convince him for sure, she is his mother, after all. If you are quick and travel fast, a visit to the cloister where she lives should fit into the timeframe. You will need to hurry, though."

You are all sure he is telling the truth as he perceives it, he is simply too emotional to be lying. You could of course be wrong.

whoiam
2012-08-07, 08:49 AM
"If I heard correctly, you said there was the King's signet ring and letters from the Queen and yourself. I think, Muushala, that's all we've got to work with on the evidence front."

Mamellek had finally shaken off the effect of being hit with a full strength PlotDump: Stun, and jumped immediately back into the conversation.

"Until we get the Prince and Princess face-to-face there's probably no way to be sure how they'll get on. Luckily first impressions aren't final: We can worry about getting the pair together first, and handle the whole 'making the marriage work' problem afterwards."

Mamellek had also needed a moment to gather her thoughts after Sir Carmion's revelations.

There's too much unknown in such interpersonal relations for us to plan it out this far ahead. Besides, we have more than enough chances to fail before we get to that point. We should focus on the more immediate problems.

But once they were gathered, she began adding questions of her own.

"Do you have maps we could use? I think we could handle finding our way to Veer easily enough, but unless one of us knows the route to Count Hodor's estate we could need help on that point.

Who is currently running Count Hodor's Estate? Is it Leon, or did someone else inherit from the Count? It may prove difficult to persuade a doubting Leon to leave if it is now his estate, but if another holds it we may have an ally in convincing Leon to fly the nest with us. We may need another letter of introduction in that case, however.

Actually, with that in mind... is there any way to get Leon to go with us without telling him his ancestry? Once we get to Veer he has to know, but discussing it with him while we're still in Wheron-controlled territory could lead to unnecessary danger. Do you think it would be possible to get him to come with us without giving him the real reason why?

What sort of opposition are we likely to encounter on the roads? I had nothing worse than a handful of bandits accost me on the journey here, but then I'm a 'respectable' clergywoman instead of, say, a member of an ongoing insurgency against Wheron..."

And she finally, finally, pauses to let someone actually answer the questions raised...

Medic
2012-08-07, 10:13 AM
"Sabar, do you know where we are seeking to go? You told me you were from the Trolllands. It sounds like we are heading back towards your home. Do you know where Count Hodor makes his home and can you lead us their on a more "quiet" path then storming down the main roads?"

Simba
2012-08-08, 12:04 AM
Sir Carmion

"I have a map here that I want to give you, together with the letters."

He puts the map and a small bundle of papers on the table in front of you.

"Count Hodor's estate fell to his heir, Seron. He and Leon grew up together, so they are fast friends. I have already written to him, the letter is there with the others. I don't know if you can manage to take Leon away with you without telling him the truth. I leave that decision to you.

On the roads you might encounter the usual bandits and robbers, but most of those will hesitate to attack a well-armed group of travelers..You should be careful, though. Wheron is patrolling the area with mounted groups of 20 men or more."

Azoth
2012-08-09, 02:25 AM
Ascherit let's a small amused smirk grow on his face as he listens to everything. Sure at the moment this is an escort the brat mission, but that always leaves the posibility of glorious battle.

He leans forward slightly as he let's the man finish. This sounds like it could be great fun indeed. We will not fail you, even if I have to drag our soon-to-be king strapped to my saddle the whole way. This is an opportunity to reclaim our kingdom, and our lives. We can not let it pass us by lightly, or allow ourselves to fail until death claims us all entirely. My only question is, when do we move out?

Simba
2012-08-09, 02:46 AM
Sir Carmion

"That is entirely up to you. Supplies are ready, fresh horses for those who need them available. You can start out whenever you want, but I would advise you to hurry, we don't have much time. We need to move fast before something leaks out and Wheron is alerted to our plans."

razorback
2012-08-09, 07:12 AM
Devlin nods to the others, decision already made.
"It would seem as if, like myself, some of us have made the decision to go. Are there any here that have decided against?"

Medic
2012-08-09, 07:07 PM
"Not I. The sooner we leave the better from the sounds of it."

whoiam
2012-08-09, 07:37 PM
"Nor I. I swore my life to my Order: if enough of the order remains to sound the muster, I shall serve.

Any objections to me taking the map and the papers? I have some holy books in my saddlebags I can slip the letters in - only someone specifically after those letters will bother reading through a sheaf of devotional tracts in search of secular writings... That, or a Mother Superior, but I don't intend to open my saddlebags for theology discussions along the way.

Unless one of you has a better hiding place?"

Azoth
2012-08-09, 08:06 PM
No complaints from me. Sounds as good a place as any to stash the papers. I suggest we leave as soon as all of us have taken measure to freshen up and inventory our provisions. No sense leaving and forgetting something, or passing out in the saddle.

Simba
2012-08-10, 12:52 AM
Looking at the map (http://n46i.img-up.net/TheKnights150f.jpg) you find that more than one route will take you to the castle of the late count Hodor.

Coreon Hall is situated at the southern end of the Harl hills, near the city of Harl, almost on the Wheron river. North of the river start the original Wheron lands, south of it was Geradia.

The castle where Leon is lies in the hills south of the Trollands. There is a river running north to south, the middle tribunary of the Wheron called the Trollrun. If you follow it to its beginning you are almost there.

The cloister where his mother is in the hills south of the city of Toller.

The city of Veer is on the Mudwater, just south of the Silver Hills.

Let me know if that info is not enough, I will add details to the map as we go.

The most obvious route is along the south bank of the Wheron river, following the kingsroad up to Toller, where you can bridge the mudwater coming up from the south and follow the Trollrun north. This route is the easiest, paved roads almost to the end.

Looking at the map you can find numerous other possibilities.

The Wheron river can be crossed only at 3 points: The Harl bridge, The Toller bridge and the shallows just west of the Harl hills, where the Wheron runs slow and wide, only about 2 feet deep and easily crossed on horseback.

Medic
2012-08-11, 10:11 PM
"The shallows sounds like a place where we are least likely to run into trouble. Ascherit, trouble or no troubble on our way? You seem like you desire to start exacting a little revenge sooner rather than later. I think I would like to avoid being noted traveling to Leon but I defer to your experiences."

Muushala knows that sneaking by isn't how many of these men and women wish to do this task but her intuition tells her that battle with 20 Wheron riders will not be a simple task.

"I saw we head the way of the shallows. No bridge means no pinch point to be ambushed at. And Mallamek I believe I can trust you so your pouch will do just fine for me."

razorback
2012-08-13, 10:53 AM
Devlin nods at the others. "So, we are agreed on leaving as soon as possible? Good. As far as which direction to go... I think that fording the river has its benefits. I think it is paramount that we travel as discretely as possible. I imagine that running into Wheron forces is an eventuallity but the longer we can delay it, the better it is for our mission."
Devlin steppled his fingers and rested his forehead on it for a moment.
Raising his head, he continued "The other thing we need to consider is: what do we do when meet Wheronians? Especially when they have superior numbers. If we meet inferior forces, wiping them out may or may not be the best option... but we may not have a choice. Any conflict will alert the locals. Is it better to have a mysterious band that ran away when spotted or a missing patrol that they find slaughtered? I think that, before we leave on this endeavor, that we all know how to react if... or, when, the situation arises."

Simba
2012-08-14, 07:18 AM
I hope you don't feel like you are being railroaded here, but I would like to get you under way now that you have decided about the route you wish to take. You can talk about details on the way, of course.

You gather your supplies - enough food for 2 weeks for you and your mounts as well as 2 tents - and leave very early next morning. Sir Carmion is there to bid you farewell.

The river road takes you due east for the first day and you make camp near the road that evening. Nothing special has happened sofar. The weather is fine and the road empty. A few merchants is all you meet.

Medic
2012-08-14, 12:56 PM
"I will take the first watch the rest of you sleep to recover. Ascherit if you would care to join me on first watch I would be greatful. Should trouble arise your skills would be great help. Additionally I would ask that you assist me in my swordsmanship since you are indeed a master with a blade."

mrcarter11
2012-08-15, 10:51 AM
Proving himself a man of few words, Belcor has remained silent thus far, simply enjoying the feeling of riding through the country side again. Stopping for a rest, however did seem like an intelligent idea.

"I'll take watch when needed, I don't like to sleep anyways.
"

razorback
2012-08-15, 01:41 PM
Devlin stows his equipment, taking out his symbol to St. Cuthbert and making his evening prayer, before joining the rest of the group.

He quietly sits back, cleaning and oiling his falchion, simply being comfortable in the company of other knights after travelling for so long alone.

Sliver
2012-08-15, 01:55 PM
Kreig travels in silence, a few times his form transforms into a winged elf and takes to the sky, scouting the area a bit before returning to his horse, which doesn't seem to get too excited by the sudden transformation nor flight, as if already used to that.

"I'll take second watch." Kreig finally spoke up when the issue was brought up. He didn't require light to see, using his draconic magic.

He wasn't familiar with the other knights' fighting styles; Fighting was his main form of interaction with other knights and human beings in too many years by now. He felt as if he lost touch with society.

Simba
2012-08-16, 04:32 AM
First watch passes without incident. Muushala and Ascherit wake Kreig and Belcor for their turn. Just as they settle into a routine they hear the sound of horses passing on the road, about a hundred meters away. As your camp is just inside a small forest you can not see who passes, but by the sound of it is is a group of about 20.

What do you do?

Sliver
2012-08-16, 08:29 AM
Kreig examines the forest for a short while before smiling and crouching low. His form quickly changes to almost match the surrounding green, for those who can even see color at such a dark time of the night. It takes less than a blink of an eye for Kreig to vanish among the plants as he runs forward without making a sound.

Turned into a Skulk. Taking 10 on hide (14 base+15 from skulk for 39) and move silently (14+8 for 32). Ex Skulk ability Peerless Camouflage allows me to run while hiding without penalty.

Kreig also has See the Unseen invocation on, which gives him darkvision to 60ft.

Simba
2012-08-16, 08:43 AM
for Kreig: A troup of 20 riders is passing your camp, seemingly unaware of your presence. They seem a little nervous, looking around all the time, weapons in hand. They don't spot you, of course.

About 30 meters past your hiding place they slow, then stop. One of them points towards the woods to your left and the whole party turns off the road, entering the forest in single file. As they don't make much noise you guess there must be a path of sorts there.

Sliver
2012-08-16, 08:46 AM
Kreig frowned. They got close, and he didn't know their intentions. It was good that their own camp was off that path. Kreig decided to follow the riders, staying between them and his camp, ready to return and warn the others if they get too close. While following, Kreig tried to scout for any signs that would indicate the rider's affiliation.

Simba
2012-08-16, 08:55 AM
The riders wear Wheron uniforms so it is easy to identify them. The beginning of that path must be well hidden or you would have noticed it when you chose your campsite.

The riders' path takes them in the direction of the river, about a mile away. You guess that might be their destination.

Sliver
2012-08-16, 09:03 AM
Kreig continues to follow them shortly, marking the location of the path in his mind. It might be a shorter route, but it's likely they will need to avoid it. They should be able to travel freely and following or being near the soldiers would hinder that.

If nothing else happens, Kreig returns to their camp and shares the information with Belcor. When it's time to change guards again, Kreig passes the news to their replacements as well.

Simba
2012-08-16, 09:14 AM
Kreig returns to camp without trouble. The 20 riders made staight for the river as far as he can tell.

razorback
2012-08-17, 05:13 PM
Devlin rises and stretches, squinting a bit and wiping the sleep from his eyes.
Seeing the others about, the moment of rising adrenaline subsides as he realizes where he is and who he is with.

As he rises, stretching, he spends 5 minutes in prayer to St. Cuthbert.
Once he is done, he draws his falchion and spends a few minutes in blade meditiation before moving a few paces to a clearing away from the road, where he practices his forms.
Once done, he returns to camp and, seeing most of the group still slumbering, sits back and eats while waiting for the others to rise.

Medic
2012-08-18, 01:37 PM
Before the light of day dawns, Muushala rises and takes account of all the things she did not leave with Coal.

She whispers, "Any one else awake?"

razorback
2012-08-19, 09:40 AM
"I am... and, it looks like, besides who is guarding right now, we seem to be the only ones. Should we wake the others and get going?"

Medic
2012-08-20, 10:51 AM
"No, I am pretty sure these folks haven't slept well in years. Now that they are back in the company of other Knights then might even get a little rest. Mallemek probably need to do her prayers this morning as well. I would say let them sleep I will rest a bit more in hopes that I can store up energy for what I am sure is to be a busy few days. Did everything go well on your watch?"

whoiam
2012-08-20, 04:24 PM
Mamellek had been only barely asleep when Muushala and Devlin began talking. So, predictably, their voices tipped her over into full wakefulness.

"I should be fine for prayers, thank you. Heironeous can be patient when we need to make good time, and I think we do."

Plus, she hadn't used up any of her magic the day before, so she didn't desperately need to perform any religious rites to redo her spellbook.

"Certainly I don't think we want to sit around while I spend an hour in prayer. How are the others?"

To a civilian the speed with which she went between asleep and fully awake would have likely been impressive, but in a group of war veterans there probably wouldn't be a lot of heavy sleepers. Armies did tend to involve an awful lot of waking before the dawn to be ready for the assault, after all...

"What do you think, Civilian clothes, Priestly Vestments or my Armour?" It was a point she was genuinely curious about - mainly for what the answer would tell her about the others' expectations of the rest of the journey...

razorback
2012-08-20, 06:20 PM
As Muushala finishes, Devlin smiles.
"The only thing on my watch that I saw was the inside of my eyes."

Looking at Mamellek, he says "I plan on going without armor, as you see me now. I rely on my magic for some mundane protection. With group, go with whatever you either feel more comfortable in or, maybe, more effective in. As a group, you cannot call us subtle."

mrcarter11
2012-08-20, 07:06 PM
Standing up now that the group at large seemed awake. It would appear time to get to business.

"Our watch passed without incident, a group of enemy riders did pass near by, they went towards a stream or something of that nature I believe. Krieg can answer your questions about it better then I. But it would seem that a fight may be near if we aren't careful.

Belcor began to stretch his muscles and feel the weight of his sword in his hands again. It felt good and light, it felt deadly. Next he took his seat again and began to sharpen the blade with a whetstone he had for just this sort of thing.

Sliver
2012-08-20, 10:29 PM
"River" Kreig corrected. He wasn't asleep most of the conversation, opting to quietly listen from his one man tent. "It seems we would share a general direction, although they have taken a path off the road that would indicate them being very familiar with the area. They have us quite outnumbered, but I haven't observed their skills. If we wish to take a safer route and avoid combat, you should avoid putting armor that you feel is restrained and bulky in." Kreig exited the tent as he spoke and, taking it by the edge, he immediately drew it back into a cloak.

"Or I can find us that route they used. It goes directly to the river and could save us some time. We could also take down a few Wherons in a remote area and perhaps get some vital information. Although later on there is a chance of alerting them to action in the area."

Kreig never had much to do to be ready to head out.

mrcarter11
2012-08-23, 07:10 PM
Belcor was unsure of what he wanted to do. A situation like this was nearly expected considering that rider were common in these parts, but no one had really decided how to deal with them when it happened.

"I'm far from against killing some of their soldiers, but nearly all of us are former knights. We all remember what happened when a company of knights rode out, and didn't return in time. We sent more knights to look for them. We could likely take this group, considering who we all are, but it's more then likely to just draw more soldiers into the area. Avoiding them is best. "

whoiam
2012-08-23, 07:40 PM
Mamellek's perspective on things was really quite simple. They had a job to do. The job would get harder the more suspicious Wheron got. Anything likely to make the soldiers suspicious had to be avoided, however much a part of her wanted a few good fights along the way.

"I'd vote we ignore the soldiers who left the path. Think about it. What do we risk by going after them? We risk alerting Wheron that there are skilled and organised hostiles in the area. While we're less than a day's travel from the location where the Orders are trying to assemble in secret. Even if we manage to outrun the resulting alarm from a confrontation, it increases the risks of our comrades being discovered while they're still too heavily outnumbered to stand a chance. So we'd be gambling the safety of ourselves, our mission, and our colleagues.... for the chance to wipe out one unremarkable patrol of normal soldiers.

Doesn't seem worth it, really."

Honestly what she wanted to do was to charge across the length of the country under a mighty war banner, bellowing her challenge to the very heavens, and riding down all who would stand athwart her righteous path. But she had a duty to the people of Geradia to bring their King back to them... and if there was one thing her career had given her above all others, it was a sense of duty. So she would put reason (well, what reason she knew) above glory. Even though this lead to her suggesting a far less knightly course of action then she would have liked...

"I say we just don normal clothes and stick to the proper roads. The horses will make better time than they would cross-country and as far as the soldiers are concerned, we'll just be another group of travellers causing no trouble whatsoever on a public road. We passed a dozen such groups yesterday alone, they weren't being attacked by Wheron, so unless we look or act suspicious, why would we?"

Sliver
2012-08-27, 03:53 AM
Kreig shrugs. "Sounds good. I'm not carrying anything suspicious anyway, doubt a magical cloak or belt would be noticed unless they actually try to scan us for magic. So the rest of you should take a less armed appearance I guess and let's head out.."

razorback
2012-08-27, 07:47 AM
Devlin, with a smile bordering on sarcastic, looks down at himself and his lack of armor. "Ready when the rest of you are."

Simba
2012-08-27, 09:26 AM
You ride early that morning, dressed in clothes meant to make you blend in with other travelers. You spend the next night camping the same way as the first. Your strategy seems to have worked so far, as the following day goes as smoothly as planned.

As you near the ford the last part of the road passes through the very wood you used to camp in, going straight for the river. You are forced to ride in pairs as the woods close in on both sides, with the road dug in about a yard or more.

Suddenly, arrows come flying at you from both sides fired by archers hidden in the bushes or trees. You hear crashing noises as if people were running through the woods at you.

Kraig:
attack 1: [roll0] [roll1]
attack 2: [roll2] [roll3]
attack 3: [roll4] [roll5]

Belcor:
attack 1: [roll6] [roll7]
attack 2: [roll8] [roll9]
attack 3: [roll10] [roll11]

Sir Devlin:
attack 1: [roll12] [roll13]
attack 2: [roll14] [roll15]
attack 3: [roll16] [roll17]

Ascherit:
attack 1: [roll18] [roll19]
attack 2: [roll20] [roll21]
attack 3: [roll22] [roll23]

Sabar:
attack 1: [roll24] [roll25]
attack 2: [roll26] [roll27]
attack 3: [roll28] [roll29]

Muushala:
attack 1: [roll30] [roll31]
attack 2: [roll32] [roll33]
attack 3: [roll34] [roll35]

Memellek:
attack 1: [roll36] [roll37]
attack 2: [roll38] [roll39]
attack 3: [roll40] [roll41]

What do you do?

Medic
2012-08-28, 04:31 PM
I guide Coal into the woods placing her and myself such that a tree blocks me from further attack on two sides. Draw my shield and attempt to diplomatically stop this fight.
[roll0]

"We are a group of travelers seeking to ford the river and desire no fight. If you desire our spoils please come speak freely and perhaps further bloodshed can be avoided"

Muushala spoke the words with the intent of stopping this before Ascherit and Kreig destroy the poor fools who attacked them.

razorback
2012-09-04, 08:27 AM
Devlin, hearing Muushala, prepares himself for battle as he feels the bite of the two arrows.
Give her a chance... let her know how it feels to feel the hate for their army... he thinks to himself as he prepares to do battle.

Sir Devlin
AC ~15; Current ~ 20
HP ~ 54; Current ~ 46

Free action

Standard action
Casting shield defensively
[roll0]

Move action
None

Effects~
Mage Armor ~ +5 armor bonus for 12 hours
Shield ~ +5 shield bonus for 120/120 rounds

mrcarter11
2012-09-04, 09:09 AM
Belcor maneuvers his horse the best he can to guide where they would be safe. Then calls upon his own energy to grant favor to his allies in battle.

Using an invocation that mirrors Prayer or Bless upon casting. Going with Prayer this time, so +1 to Attack, Damage, Saves, and Skills with -1 to all enemies within 40 feet.

Sliver
2012-09-04, 11:37 AM
Kreig stared at Muushala coldly as he leaped down his horse, arrows flying around him without hitting their mark, and swiftly moved behind a tree on the left side of the road. He had no intention of waiting to see what her poor attempt at defusing the situation would lead to. They were attacked, most likely by bandits, which would mean that if they don't dispatch of them, others would get attacked and hurt.

whoiam
2012-09-04, 11:37 AM
As the first of two arrows buries itself (not very deeply) into her side, Mamellek instantly goes for her lance. Like everyone present except Muushala, she was a veteran soldier (regardless of what she'd done in the decade since), and her immediate thought was to defend herself.

This meant either getting into cover (which would have worked were the nearby trees not the source of the assault) or going on the offensive. So as she nudged her horse to point towards the source of the arrows, she prepared for the latter...

Swift Action: Switch into stance 'Leading the Charge'. +6 damage bonus to any ally making a charge within 60' of Mamellek.

Delay in the initiative order until an enemy is visible.

Once they are visible:
Full round action: Charge!
DC 10 check to attack together with her Warhorse. She automatically passes the check to guide the horse with her knees.

She uses the movement phase of the charge to draw her lance, and the attack phase of the charge to expend Bonecrusher.

[roll1]
[roll2] Does the warhorse get the +6 damage bonus?

[roll3] (+10 +2 for Charge +1 for Furious Counterstrike and +1 for being mounted against infantry. I'm guessing at that last one.)
[roll="Lance Damage"]2d8+4d6+15 (1d8+4 x2 + 1 (Furious Counterstrike) +6 (Leading the Charge) + 4d6 (Bonecrusher))

Simba
2012-09-12, 01:28 AM
As you prepare to do battle a shout is heard from somewhere behind you. The attacks suddenly stop and you hear people running away through the forest. A second later you hear riders closing in from behind.

Turning, you spot a group of Wheron soldiers on horses galloping towards you, scanning the trees on both sides for enemies. They have their weapons out, but seem to concentrate on your attackers and not you.

razorback
2012-09-12, 06:53 AM
Devlin grinds his teeth together as he sees the Wheron's riding to the rescue.
"You have got to be kidding" is all he can say. Looking at the others, he draws is falchion and readies to charge.

Sir Devlin
AC ~15; Current ~ 20
HP ~ 54; Current ~ 46

Free action

Standard action
Reading an action to charge the forest if he spots any of the ambushers.

Move action
drawing his falchion

Effects~
Shield ~ +5 shield bonus for 119/120 rounds

Sliver
2012-09-12, 08:44 AM
Kraig glances quickly at the soldiers rushing towards them. If the place has bandits, they could beat down both sides and there will be little suspicion raised that a third side was at play. But with their base being still too close, it was a risky move.

Kreig's movements changed immediately as he crouched low and rushed into the trees, vanishing among them.

Move action: Move to cover among trees.
Standard action: Change to Skulk.
Swift action: shift to Assassin's Stance.

Taking 10 on hiding and MS like before.

Medic
2012-09-13, 07:44 AM
"It worked she thought to herself" then she realized the hoof beats meant a bigger issue was entering the frey.

Draw Lance
Ready action to charge when any other Knight does likewise

whoiam
2012-09-15, 01:22 PM
Internally, Mamellek's reaction to the appearance of Wheron soldiers isn't any more positive than Devlin, Kreig or Muushala. On the outside, however, she took only a moment or two to decide she was going to stick to her 'pretend I'm not an enemy of the state' plan.

Now how to communicate that to the others? Ah, yes...

"Soldiers! We're saved! Thank the Gods!"

Did she need to shout out her thanks? Well, if she was saying it so the Gods would hear, no. But since she was saying it so her colleagues busily arming themselves in the woods would hear it... best not to take any chances.

Which was also the logic behind her ostentatiously returning her lance to its sling at her horse's side.

"Hey... I don't suppose any of you are good at removing arrows?" Normally, Mamellek would have been happy to remove them herself (and heal the damage as well). But while she was happy for the soldiers of Wheron to know that she had access to clerical magic (as it was a good way of proving she came by her vestments honestly), she didn't want to give away the fact that she was used to self-healing battlefield injuries...

razorback
2012-09-15, 11:19 PM
Devlin looks at Mamellek, eyebrow arched.
"Lady, are you badly hurt? If not, I suggest we hold off on that for the moment until we can deal with these two groups. I doubt running off right now is smart, especially if the Wherons prevail. Of course, we can pick off the survivors, if we are smart."

Sir Devlin
AC ~15; Current ~ 20
HP ~ 54; Current ~ 46

Free action

Standard action
Reading an action to charge the forest if he spots any of the ambushers.

Move action

Effects~
Shield ~ +5 shield bonus for 118/120 rounds

razorback
2012-09-20, 09:52 PM
As Devlin watches the Wheron rides move towards the apparent bandits, he looks at the rest of the group.
"Well, this is the moment of opportunity... do we run or do we wait and try to talk our way out of this or do we finish off the survivors?' as he wheels Starburst around in a circle.