PDA

View Full Version : AVB - The Fell One

Pages : [1] 2 3

Rizban
2012-10-22, 12:28 AM
This thread is for Aldurin and GM(s) ONLY. Please do not read it otherwise.

Moving northeast towards Guildsman, he sees numerous shops, a few fancier houses, and lots of places to spend money. The closer to Guildsman that he gets, the less fancy and more utilitarian the buildings become. Further down the road, the buildings appear to become workshops and smithies and the like rather than the retail shops, taverns, inns, and living spaces common in Midtown.

Aldurin
2012-10-22, 11:37 AM
Ian looks around at each business and building, becoming more and more concerned. He didn't consider that the social stability of the nobles and commoners would be different. He decides that he will need to test the public's reaction to a threat.

He begins to look around for a good spot like an empty alley or someplace secluded where he can set something loose without the act being traced back to himself.

Rizban
2012-10-22, 11:57 AM
He finds that there are narrow alleyways between most buildings.

Aldurin
2012-10-22, 12:11 PM
Ian moves into one of the alleyways, and finds his way to an out-of-sight location from the main crowd. Once he thinks he's not being watched, he casts Undetectable Alignment on himself and False Life, just in case the situation goes wrong.

[roll0] temporary hitpoints from false life.

He considers potentially disguising himself, but he figures that if he should be questioned, the odor from the spirits used in the spell could help him pass as drunk. He then reaches into his bag of tricks and pulls out the fuzzy orb, stuffing the empty bag into his boot to help hide it from a search.

He takes one more look around to make sure no one is watching, then he drops the ball on the ground in front of him.

[roll1] to determine the creature the bag of tricks produces (rust category)

Rizban
2012-10-22, 12:33 PM
It's a wolf, not that you needed me to clarify that...

Aldurin
2012-10-23, 01:11 AM
Yeah, I just wanted to make the reaction slightly dependent on the animal and then I also had to go do stuff before I could write any more post.

With the wolf in front of him, Ian initiates his first experiment.

Pointing to the alleyway back to the main street, where the innocent pedestrians are, he commands the wolf "Attack". Then he promptly begins to walk at a slightly faster pace to the alleyway on the opposite side of the building he's behind, in order to get a glimpse of the result without being obviously associated with the wolf. As a last precaution he takes some effort to make his movements less purposeful and more aimless and like wandering as he approaches the main street.

Rizban
2012-10-23, 01:29 PM
Unsure how to "wander" down an alley he almost has to employ squeezing rules to walk through, he simply wals to the street. He hears shouts as he approaches the street and rounds the corner just in time to see the wolf savage a small child.

Immediately, several men grab whatever tools are handy, mostly makeshift clubs, but also one dagger and a shortsword. They close on the wolf and make short work of it. It's body vanishes as it is slain.

"Quick, the mage who summoned it is still in the area. Find him. I'll go for the Watch!"

They start to spread out in search of you as one runs off toward the northwest.

Aldurin
2012-10-23, 02:39 PM
Seeing that anarchy will require more firepower and better escape plans, Ian quickly ducks into the nearest building, looking for the closest unoccupied corner to hide in and adjust his appearance.

Awful question, but do I get xp from the kid?

Rizban
2012-10-23, 03:24 PM
No. It wasn't a challenging fight, and you didn't win.
You duck into the first door you see. Unfortunately, it is a private house. A woman inside sees a stranger rush into her home uninvited and screams.

Aldurin
2012-10-23, 04:42 PM
Beginning to panic, Ian casts Summon Swarm (Rats) in a far corner of the room to try to get any incoming posse to think that's the reason for the resident to scream. Then he dashes toward the back of the house to make try to find a back door to the alley.

Rizban
2012-10-23, 09:38 PM
You burst into the back room. It appears to be a small kitchen with most of the walls being storage for food and cooking utensils. There is no other door in this room. You hear the voices of angry men outside the front door.

Aldurin
2012-10-24, 11:49 AM
Trying to think quickly, Ian pulls out his disguise kit and quickly changes enough of his appearance to pass as an archer with no magical inclination, mainly by concealing his spell pouch, using a piece of cloth to hide his hair, wearing his jacket inside-out and stuffing his cloak into the inside of his jacket to keep it out of sight.

With no time to spare, he casts Darkness in the kitchen and backs out with his bow drawn and the arrow aimed into the darkened room. Ian quickly shouts "He's in here!", backing up just enough so that the woman in the house couldn't see him from the first room.

Disguise check with a modifier of 13+2 with the disgusie kit, plus whatever circumstantial modifiers you determine. Then a Bluff check. [roll0], I don't know how the circumstance would boost or penalize the check.

Rizban
2012-10-24, 01:15 PM
Your disguise takes [roll0] * 10 minutes.

Unfortunately, you are not quite one full minute into applying your new disguise before the men enter the house and are directed by the woman into the kitchen.

They catch you completely off guard, your hands in the disguise kit, and with your spell component pouch already tucked away.

Roll initiative.

Aldurin
2012-10-24, 01:31 PM
Oh right, disguises take forever. Whelp, [roll0].

Rizban
2012-10-24, 09:33 PM
Two of them rush you, one of them successfully hitting you with his club as you dodge out of the way of the other.

[roll0]

You quickly take action before the other two you can see through the doorway are able to enter the kitchen.

Note that none of them are flat-footed. Their "surprise" round was entering to attack you.

Aldurin
2012-10-25, 01:15 AM
Ian realizes the best exit for him will have to be over a pile of corpses, so he immediately brings up his Fear Aura to hamper the attackers and begins to cast Summon Undead III to get a Troll Skeleton in the room.

Rizban
2012-10-25, 01:35 AM
You're really going to make me look up the DC every time you use that ability, aren't you?

Aldurin
2012-10-25, 11:40 AM
Oh sorry, forgot about that. DC 19 Will Save, successful means that they're immune to it for the day.

Rizban
2012-10-25, 02:28 PM
The two who rushed you grow pale as your aura overwhelms them. The two further away are unaffected but do see their allies reaction, becoming wary of approaching you. They stand their ground and continue to block the door, readying attacks should you come within their reach.

The two flanking you take their attacks of opportunity on you for casting.
[roll0] (+5 BAB+Str, +2 Flanking, -2 Shaken)
[roll1]

[roll2] (+4 BAB+Str, +2 Flanking, -2 Shaken)
[roll3]

They then attack you on their turns.
[roll4]
[roll5]

[roll6]
[roll7]

You take 13 damage and have to make 3 Concentration checks to keep from losing the spell. DCs 16, 18, and 15 in that order.

Aldurin
2012-10-25, 02:35 PM
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
Friggin' civilians getting up in my grill.

Rizban
2012-10-25, 02:36 PM
The first blow hits you, causing your concentration to falter and your summoning to fizzle out. Completing the spell produces nothing but a tiny puff of smoke with a little bit of bone dust that quickly dissolves into nothingness.

Your turn.

Aldurin
2012-10-25, 02:58 PM
Ian maintains the Fear Aura in hopes that he can scare off his attackers, draws his Wand of Color Spray and goes into Total Defense to mitigate the assault.

DC 19 Will Save for Fear Aura to bring the shakened attackers up to frightened. AC should now be 20 with the +4 from Total Defense.

Rizban
2012-10-26, 03:39 PM
I'm pretty sure Fear Aura doesn't stack with itself or escalate other fear effects.The two attacking can't seem to get their shudders under control and are unable to cause any real damage to you.

The two guarding the door continue to guard the door and ready themselves for a fight.

Your turn.

Aldurin
2012-10-26, 04:21 PM
Attempting to get a better position, Ian intimidates one of the attackers and moves to get out of melee range of them.

[roll0] for the Intimidate check.

Rizban
2012-10-26, 04:37 PM
He becomes frightened and attempts to escape from the room. The two at the door let him pass.

The other one swings at you as you try to escape him (AoO). He then rushes at you, trying to crush your skull with the club.
[roll0] (+5 BAB+Str, -2 Shaken)
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

Aldurin
2012-10-26, 05:04 PM
With one person left to worry about, Ian intimidates him and moves himself to the far end of the room.

[roll0] for the intimidate check.

Rizban
2012-10-26, 05:27 PM
He becomes frightened and also flees. However, he seems to regain some composure once on the other side of the door. He stands just outside, shaking but looking at you angrily.

The other two look at each other as if trying to decide what to do.

Your turn.

Aldurin
2012-10-26, 05:29 PM
With a moment of breathing room, Ian once again tries to cast Summon Undead III and get himself a Troll Skeleton so that he can get somewhere with this horribly embarrassing stalemate.

Rizban
2012-10-26, 05:57 PM
They see you start casting and step back into the other room, just out of sight. They don't seem to want to be the target of your spells.

Aldurin
2012-10-26, 06:15 PM
I assume it's time for action again, otherwise this doesn't count until my turn.

Glad to see the only other occupant of the room being the Troll Skeleton, Ian directs it to guard the doorway in the kitchen as he retrieves his spell pouch which he foolishly hid moments ago.

Rizban
2012-10-29, 12:14 AM
The men see the skeleton and try desperately to push past one another to be the first out of the house.

They escape as you retrieve your component pouch and the skeleton guards the door.

You notice that your skeleton just barely fits in the room and is hunching over to fit inside.

Aldurin
2012-10-29, 12:48 AM
What do the walls appear to be made of, and what side(s) of the house is this room against?

Rizban
2012-10-29, 01:17 AM
The walls are obviously made of wooden paneling. You know this is near the back of the house, because you deliberately ran there. You don't know, however, if this is against the back wall of the house or not.

Aldurin
2012-10-29, 01:24 AM
Wooden panels shouldn't be too hard for a Troll Skelly (I'm probably gonna end up impaling him on a shelf with my luck so far).

Ian points to the back wall and commands the Troll Skeleton "Break". Meanwhile he pulls out his bag of tricks from his boot and casts False Life on himself for extra insurance.

[roll0]

Rizban
2012-10-29, 01:30 AM
The troll stands there until you roll attack and damage or perform a specific action to break things.
Don't forget the -4 attack for squeezing.

Aldurin
2012-10-29, 01:41 AM
Sorry, I forgot I roll for minions, too.
Break Check (DC rules are vague so I dunno what they are): [roll0] Strength check, +4 from size bonus and I think squeezing penalty doesn't affect it though I may be wrong.

Rizban
2012-10-29, 02:44 AM
A Strength check adds the ability modifier, not the ability score. It should be 1d20+6, plus 4 for size, making it 1d20+10. You rolled a 3. 3+10 = 13The troll skeleton pounds at the wall but fails to do more than simply hit it. The wall stands unscathed.

Aldurin
2012-10-29, 12:05 PM
Ian let out a frustrating sigh, then he directed the skeleton to the front of the house to attack, hoping that it could at least fit through the doorway. He then walked ahead of it looking to find another path to the back of the house.

Rizban
2012-10-29, 02:30 PM
The doorway cracks and warps as it forces its way through, almost getting stuck as it does so. Moving to the front of the house, the skeleton attempts to pass through the front door then stops.

There are two more doors in this room and stairs leading up.

Aldurin
2012-10-29, 03:18 PM
Ian sees the skeleton stop and once again orders him to go outside and attack. He then leaves one of the other doors ajar and heads upstairs.

Rizban
2012-10-29, 03:19 PM
You open the door slightly.

The skeleton starts to take a step forward then stops.

Upstairs, you can see a hallway with three doors, two on the left and one on the right.

Aldurin
2012-10-29, 04:32 PM
Ian quickly goes into the first door on the left.

Rizban
2012-10-29, 04:47 PM
The door opens onto a child's bedroom, make that two childs, judging from the two beds and assorted small toys.

Aldurin
2012-10-29, 05:00 PM
Ian looks around for any windows or hatches in the ceiling and walls.

Rizban
2012-10-29, 05:03 PM
There are two very small windows in the wall near the ceiling that appear designed to let in light while being small enough and high enough that children can't climb or fall out of them.

Aldurin
2012-10-29, 05:25 PM
Frustrated, Ian moves to the next room in that left hallway.

Rizban
2012-10-29, 09:06 PM
You open the door to find a storage closet. It seems to be piled up mostly with warm clothes and blankets for the coming winter. There seem to be some boxes, but the fabrics and furs are stacked on top of them.

Aldurin
2012-10-30, 12:40 AM
The panic settling in once again, Ian dashes across the hallway to check the final room, hoping for an exit and knowing that his summon will be gone any second.

Rizban
2012-10-30, 01:47 AM
Your hear the sound of combat and the crunching of bones from downstairs.

The last door opens onto another bedroom, the parents' room this time. There is indeed a window through which you could climb. Unfortunately, it opens out onto the street in front of the house...

Aldurin
2012-10-30, 12:22 PM
Realizing that he probably can't get away with hiding in the house and that movement is his best option, he drinks his potion of jump and climbs onto the window sill, checking to see how close he is to the roof and the ground.

Rizban
2012-10-30, 12:43 PM
The roof is only a few feet above him, but the edge of it sticks out about two feet from the wall. It would be a tricky climb, but not impossible.

The ground is about 15 feet below him and has several men in matching uniforms, three of whom are obviously casters while the others carry swords.

Aldurin
2012-10-30, 01:37 PM
Desperate to escape and realizing that he's screwed if the casters hit him with anything, Ian makes an attempt to climb to the roof.

[roll0] For climb check.

Rizban
2012-10-30, 01:43 PM
He promptly falls into the street, landing prone and taking [roll0] damage.

The guards with swords quickly surround you.

"YIELD, VILE SCUM!"

Aldurin
2012-10-30, 01:59 PM
Ian wanted to hit them with a negative energy burst so bad, but he held back and simply remained where he was, saying nothing.

Rizban
2012-10-30, 03:19 PM
"On your face, hands behind your back!"

Aldurin
2012-10-30, 03:26 PM
Reluctantly, Ian complied. He was almost boiling with rage, knowing that fighting back against these people would probably get him killed.

Rizban
2012-10-30, 05:41 PM
They clap manacles on him that restrict the movement of his hands and fingers, making somatic components impossible to perform. As they close, he feels a tingling sensation on his lips. Testing reveals that a localized silence effect prevents him from speaking, calling out, or using verbal components but does not impede his hearing. They then confiscate your spell component pouch.

Grabbing you roughly under the arm, you are yanked to your feet.

"On your feet, dog."

Aldurin
2012-10-30, 06:00 PM
Ian closes his eyes and stands up, he then brings up his Fear Aura and charges Blinding Sickness into his Charnel Touch ability, to try to spite the next person to touch him.

DC 19 Will Save on Fear Aura, and Ian uses Scabrous Touch for Blinding Sickness, holding the charge as the Charnel Touch ability. The first person to make contact with him takes 1d8+1 negative energy damage and must make a DC 19 fortitude save to resist the disease or instantly feel the effects of full incubation. This should work since it's all supernatural abilities that can be activated without any components.

Aldurin
2012-10-30, 06:01 PM
Messed up the roll on Charnel Touch damage. [roll0]

Rizban
2012-10-30, 06:44 PM
Ian closes his eyes and stands up, he then brings up his Fear Aura and charges Blinding Sickness into his Charnel Touch ability, to try to spite the next person to touch him.

DC 19 Will Save on Fear Aura, and Ian uses Scabrous Touch for Blinding Sickness, holding the charge as the Charnel Touch ability. The first person to make contact with him takes [roll0] negative energy damage and must make a DC 19 fortitude save to resist the disease or instantly feel the effects of full incubation. This should work since it's all supernatural abilities that can be activated without any components.You have to be able to make a melee touch attack to deliver the effect. It doesn't work merely by someone touching you.

With your hands bound behind your back, you are unable to make such an attack; however, you can hold the charge for as long as you want.Seeing your attempts at resistance, the guard who pulled you up slaps you with the flat of his sword, dealing [roll1] nonlethal damage.

"Quit resisting, pig. You're just making this harder on you."

Aldurin
2012-10-31, 12:14 AM
My reaction to this whole thing is kinda mixed since while they could kill me right now it would take a lot of effort from them with my DR and temp HP. And I guess that's fine with touch spells, I just thought it worked like static electricity.

I'll probably stop testing their tolerance for now.

Ian brings down his Fear Aura but keeps the Charnel Touch charged so he can try to blind whoever is the unlucky one to eventually unshackle him. He relaxes his stance and opens his eyes looking downward to indicate that he'll stop resisting.

Rizban
2012-10-31, 03:03 AM
With a sword poking into his back, they lead him to a nearby cart rigged to a horse. The cart seems like little more than a tough box on wheels with a door that locks.

"Get in."

Aldurin
2012-10-31, 11:13 AM
Ian complies.

Rizban
2012-10-31, 10:19 PM
They close the door behind you. About 10 minutes of bumpy rides later, you find the door opened with accompanying orders to get out. You find yourself inside of a fortress. The sounds of rushing water indicate that you are near the river. Assuming you don't resist, you are led to a cell just underground and told to wait. A hearing will be held in the morning concerning your upcoming trial.

Aldurin
2012-11-01, 12:31 AM
Ian doesn't resist, as he realizes his only hope of escape will be when he's somewhat less restricted to just his supernatural abilities. If anything he hoped for a cell mate that he could vent his anger on.

Rizban
2012-11-01, 03:42 AM
Sadly, he finds that he is alone in a small 10 x 10 cell. The only furnishings are a stone slab, raised off the floor slightly to serve as either a bench or a bed, and a bucket. The odor coming from the bucket quickly reveals its purpose.

Aldurin
2012-11-01, 10:48 AM
With nothing to do, he waits for his hearing. Being a persistent bastard, he still holds the charge on Scabrous Touch.

Rizban
2012-11-03, 03:47 AM
Here's the choice: If you sleep, you lose the charge. If you don't sleep, you keep the charge but don't get to renew spells for the day.

Aldurin
2012-11-03, 12:59 PM
Oh right, well he'll sleep and lose the charge since there's no point in holding a 1/day ability longer than a day.

Rizban
2012-11-03, 01:58 PM
You sleep fitfully but get enough rest. You wake up to the sound of keys in the lock of your cell.

"Get up, pigdog. You're wanted for questioning."

Aldurin
2012-11-03, 02:28 PM
Ian gets up, considers talking back but realizes it'd be more appropriate to do it during the interrogation, and goes along with all the routine of prisoner transport.

Rizban
2012-11-03, 04:31 PM
They drag you up the stairs and to a small room, where you're placed in a chair opposite a watchman of obviously high rank. After being seating, your manacles are removed so that you might speak an answer questions.

"State your name."

Aldurin
2012-11-03, 04:46 PM
"Ianhorn Silverkin. Look, can we just skip to the part where you simultaneously execute me and put me to work in a mine?"

Rizban
2012-11-03, 06:32 PM
"Are you admitting to your guilt?"

Aldurin
2012-11-03, 06:48 PM
"Guilt for what? You should specify, but it will be 'no' regardless."

Rizban
2012-11-03, 11:10 PM
"Did you or did you not summon a creature to attack someone in the street?"

Aldurin
2012-11-03, 11:30 PM
"Wait, that's what they were worked up about? I don't know what exactly happened in that district, but as an arcane caster I panicked when I heard an angry mob of citizens shout about hunting down a mage. In retrospect I shouldn't have broken into that house or summoned that skeleton but I didn't hurt anyone in the process of trying to escape the mob." Ian continued his bluff, "But I just don't expect you to believe me or care to believe me since the crowd screamed for blood and now you have someone to draw it from."

[roll0] For the bluff check, though it's probably futile.

Rizban
2012-11-04, 10:00 PM
"So you admit to necromancy and the control of undead. Whether guilty of the other crime or not, possession and/or control of undead are both crimes against the state and punishable by no less than banishment. Repeated offenses punishable by execution.

On your own testimony, you are to be tried in absentia, for the safety of the court. A verdict will be handed down by the magistrate, and your banishment will be carried out accordingly.

Sergeant, return him to his cell."

Aldurin
2012-11-05, 01:09 AM
Ian waits for the soldier to get close to him before bringing up his Fear Aura and releasing a negative energy burst in the room as he says, "You can't stop the power that will bring your city to its knees. I will return."

Fear Aura DC 19 Will save to become immune to it for 24 hours or become shakened.
Negative Energy burst for [roll0] damage and DC 19 Will save to halve the damage.
Both effects extend to five feet around him.

Rizban
2012-11-07, 11:58 PM
He does not appear afraid of you, but you do notice the life force being drained from him as his features seem to wilt before you.

"SCUM!" Shouts the guard. "You'll bleed for that!"

He kicks at your feet and shoves you, trying to knock you to the ground. Roll an opposed Str check.

Aldurin
2012-11-08, 02:27 AM
[roll0] for which Ian the twig likely can't resist.

Rizban
2012-11-09, 02:10 AM
Despite your prodigious effort, he manages to trip you.

The man who has been questioning you picks up a massive hammer from behind the desk and moves toward you.

Your turn.
I didn't roll that Str check until after you did...

Aldurin
2012-11-09, 03:00 AM
Acting quickly, Ian gets on his feat, and lashes out with Charnel Touch at the man who tripped him.

[roll0] for the Charnel Touch attack roll.[roll1] for Charnel Touch damage.

Also was only my spell component pouch taken the day before, and do I have the rest of my equipment?

Aldurin
2012-11-09, 03:01 AM
I didn't realize that the preview post function would break rolls. [roll0] for the touch attack and [roll1] for damage.

Rizban
2012-11-09, 04:56 AM
As you attempt to stand, the man who tripped you takes an AoO, punching you in the chest for [roll0].

He again attempts to trip you. Opposed Str [roll1]. Being impossible for you to resist, you find yourself flat on the ground yet again.

The guard with the axe raises it in preparation to attack.

"If you know what's good for you, you'll stay down."

Aldurin
2012-11-09, 12:07 PM
As much as he doesn't like it, Ian stays down knowing that he's not in a good situation to resist anymore. As he stays there he uses Charnel Touch on himself to heal for 2 HP.

Rizban
2012-11-09, 04:33 PM
Seeing you begin to cast and not knowing your intention is merely to heal yourself, the Watchman's readied axe swings down.

[roll0]

Aldurin
2012-11-09, 04:54 PM
"Dammit I yield!" Ian shouts, putting his hands out to indicate his surrender.

Rizban
2012-11-09, 05:09 PM
The one you attacked kicks you in the ribs one last time for [roll0] nonlethal damage.

"That's right you yield. Get on your face, hands behind your back."

Aldurin
2012-11-09, 05:41 PM
Ian recovers his breath and follows the command.

Rizban
2012-11-12, 07:13 AM
By my count, that last kick renders you unconscious from nonlethal damage.

You wake up later in your cell, sore, stiff, and in a foul mood. Your axe wound has been bound up expertly, but it is obvious that no healing magics have been employed. You are currently unsure as to just how much time has passed.

Aldurin
2012-11-12, 03:30 PM
You wake up later in your cell, sore, stiff, and in a foul mood. Your axe wound has been bound up expertly, but it is obvious that no healing magics have been employed. You are currently unsure as to just how much time has passed.

Jeez, for a moment there I was afraid I'd die from a cleric being too nice to me.

Ian starts using Charnel Touch on himself to fully heal the wound as he ponders his situation. He eventually walks over to the door and shouts into the hallway, "Hey! How long was I out?"

Rizban
2012-11-12, 04:21 PM
That would actually have been pretty funny. :smalltongue:The guy in the next cell hears you and starts yelling too.

"Yeah! Let us out! I ain't done nuthin!"

Aldurin
2012-11-12, 04:57 PM
Ian promptly facepalms in reaction to the inmate's poor hearing. He calls over to the prisoner, "Lying your way out only works before you get in the cell. What are they officially charging you of anyway?"

Rizban
2012-11-12, 05:41 PM
You are unable to see him. The bars keep either of you from leaning out far enough to see one another.

"I sposedly took a piss on that there gate into Nobles' and wagged it 'round at a duchess. I were drunk when it were to a happened, so as I dun rememba' it. See? I just wouldna' don that, no matter how piss drunk I were."

Aldurin
2012-11-12, 05:46 PM
All hope lost for speaking with someone intelligent, Ian finishes healing himself and waits for the guards to come get him or for something remotely more interesting to happen.

Ian heals himself up to full health with Charnel Touch unless he's interrupted before the number of turns required to go through with that.

Rizban
2012-11-12, 06:34 PM
A guard comes by that evening with an open kit filled with bandages and small chemical bottles.

"Ah, so you're awake. How are the wounds?"

Aldurin
2012-11-13, 12:08 AM
"I managed to handle them myself, so I'm fine now. I'm just glad a cleric wasn't rushed to my aid. A long story short positive energy may as well be fire when it's used on me. So any word on when my sentencing and punishment will take place?"

Rizban
2012-11-13, 08:36 PM
"Interesting. I'll keep that in mind...

Not really. I think they're just waiting on the magistrate's verdict to begin sentencing at this point."

Aldurin
2012-11-14, 02:05 AM
"Ok, I guess that's all I really wanted to know. I won't be needing any medical attention while I wait this out." Ian moves to sit down in one of the far corners.

Rizban
2012-11-14, 05:20 AM
The guy in the next cell speaks up after the watchman leaves.

"So, what're you in for? Sounds serious."

Aldurin
2012-11-14, 12:37 PM
"I panicked and summoned undead in a tricky situation, unaware of how illegal it is in this damned city."

Ian pauses for a moment.

"Do you know of any clandestine organizations that are interested in busting people out of jail for recruitment, or should I not get my hopes up?"

Rizban
2012-11-14, 07:34 PM
"If you're a summoner, why not just summon some beasts and break us out of here yourself?! Grief! If I could summon, I'd be out of here already. I'm no good without a good axe..."

Aldurin
2012-11-14, 08:18 PM
"Well, I guess I could try. And I'm sure the Warden has an axe that you could 'borrow' if we get out. But I need you to call out stuff so I can deal with it before it gets to me."

Ian gets up and casts Summon Undead III to get two Owlbear Skeletons in the cell. He then orders both of them to break the cell door.

[roll0] for the first skelly's break check and [roll1] for the second one's.

Rizban
2012-11-14, 09:24 PM
Unfortunately, neither is able to beat the break DC. You think it might be easier for them to simply attack the door until it gives way... but, then again, that might make too much noise.

Aldurin
2012-11-15, 01:58 AM
Ian decides that some noise will be unavoidable given how he's having the door ripped out, and orders both of the Owlbear undead to do full attacks the door. He also remembers to check his boots to see if his bag of tricks is still stuffed in there.

First Owlbear Skelly
Claw 1:[roll0] for attack, [roll1] for damage.
Claw 2:[roll2] for attack, [roll3] for damage.
Bite: [roll4] for attack, [roll5] for damage.

Second Owlbear Skelly
Claw 1:[roll6] for attack, [roll7] for damage.
Claw 2:[roll8] for attack, [roll9] for damage.
Bite: [roll10] for attack, [roll11] for damage.

Just take the first row of each attack if I can't actually order them to do full attacks.

Rizban
2012-11-15, 02:23 AM
The door takes a heavy beating but continues to stand. It, however, looks considerably weaker.

Aldurin
2012-11-15, 02:32 AM
He orders the owlbear skeletons to attack again, hopeful that the door will finally break down.

Owlbear Skeleton 1
Claw 1:[roll0] for attack, [roll1] for damage.
Claw 2:[roll2] for attack, [roll3] for damage.
Bite: [roll4] for attack, [roll5] for damage.
Second one.
Claw 1:[roll6] for attack, [roll7] for damage.
Claw 2:[roll8] for attack, [roll9] for damage.
Bite: [roll10] for attack, [roll11] for damage.

Rizban
2012-11-15, 03:43 PM
They manage, at last, to break down the door. As it falls to the ground, it makes a loud clattering sound.

"Whoa! You actually did it! Okay, bust me out now!"

Aldurin
2012-11-15, 03:55 PM
"Ok, get back from the door."

Ian orders both skeletons to attack the door the other prisoner is in, he then summons a spectral hand so he can be ready for what comes at him.

[roll0] hp lost for Spectral Hand investment.
Owlbear 1
[roll1] attack roll [roll2] damage.
[roll3] attack roll [roll4] damage.
[roll5] attack roll [roll6] damage.
Owlbear 2
[roll7] attack roll [roll8] damage.
[roll9] attack roll [roll10] damage.
[roll11] attack roll [roll12] damage.

Rizban
2012-11-15, 06:17 PM
The door stubbornly refuses to fall, though it does take some minor damage.

The man begins trying to force it open from inside.

You hear shouts from the floor above you and the stomping of boots, but, as yet, you see no one.

Aldurin
2012-11-15, 06:55 PM
Ian orders them to attack the door again, and keeps an eye out for guards and makes note of the layout.

These rolls aren't getting boring to type. Worst part is that they're stealing all my good rolls.
Also I'd like general information on how the visible area of the dungeon is laid out.
[roll0][roll1]
[roll2][roll3]
[roll4][roll5]
[roll6][roll7]
[roll8][roll9]
[roll10][roll11]

Rizban
2012-11-15, 10:27 PM
In this particular part of the dungeon, there is one set of stairs leading up, a short hallway with four small cells all along the same wall, and another short stairway leading down. However, the down stairway is locked with solid iron bars. You were imprisoned in the first cell in this block. You are not sure if the 3rd or 4th cells are occupied.

Upstairs, there is a short hallway that ends in another heavy, wooden door. Halfway down, there is a cross hall. There is a door to the left as soon as you go up the stairs. It is through that door that you were interrogated. You know that room to have no exits.

Their attacks manage to weaken the door just enough that he is able to force it open the rest of the way! He's free!

"Wow! Thanks! Let's get out of here. I'll grab a weapon on the way."

Aldurin
2012-11-15, 11:22 PM
Ordering the Owlbear Skeletons to charge up the stairs, Ian quickly relays his plan to the other prisoner, "Ok, those guys will be gone in a few seconds and I can only do that trick a few more times. I can heal myself but not you and I can fight without weapons, so I'll stay in front of you for now. Keep a short distance from me so you don't get caught in any stuff I do. Our main priority should be finding an armory or our confiscated equipment so that we can make our escape easier, since I'll have a few more tricks once I get my spell pouch back."

Ian runs to the stairs so that he's a few feet behind the skeletons.

Rizban
2012-11-16, 02:55 AM
Your ally nods and hangs back.

The owlbears charge up the stairs and stop at the door.

Aldurin
2012-11-16, 01:22 PM
Ian orders the skeletons to attack the door before they disappear. Ian waits at the bottom of the steps so he can be ready to summon again without interruption.

[roll0][roll1]
[roll2][roll3]
[roll4][roll5]
[roll6][roll7]
[roll8][roll9]
[roll10][roll11]

Rizban
2012-11-17, 02:14 PM
The door, unlocked, quickly swings open when attacked.

Through the open door, you see two Watchmen fighting at the far end of the hall. One immediately slays the other, leaving his bloody body torn to ribbons on the floor in front of him.

Aldurin
2012-11-17, 02:37 PM
Six rounds have passed so the Owlbear Skeletons are gone.
Also that was one of the last things I expected to see when I encountered the guard.

Ian uses Summon Undead III again to get another pair of Owlbear Skeletons, and he says to his temporary ally, "Uh, two of the guards just fought each other, and I don't know if the winner will sympathize with our escape attempt."

Rizban
2012-11-17, 06:03 PM
The other prisoner stands there gawking at what just happened, too shocked to respond immediately.

The killer grabs the dead guard's sword and spins to face you, blood around his mouth.

Aldurin
2012-11-17, 06:10 PM
Ian orders the Skeletons to guard the doorway between him and the guard and calls out to him, "Let us pass, or we'll pass over your corpse."

[roll0] for the Intimidate check to make the guard back off.

Rizban
2012-11-17, 06:33 PM
You order the owlbear skeletons to guard the door, but before you can call out, he shouts to you.

"Oi, you!" he calls out, pointing the three arms not holding the sword at them. "Got a sense of irony on you? I went through three watch officers, none too happy to have met me, and they couldn't or wouldn't tell me where the cells are. If you do it will make my day."

Aldurin
2012-11-17, 06:43 PM
"Yeah, we're just on our way out of the cells. What's so important that you have to murder your way through guards to break into prison?"

Rizban
2012-11-17, 07:24 PM
"Guess once or twice of thrice, no make that Seven, as in Dragons of the Empire. Know where the spies are? Help me get them and I'll help you. You won't get past the walls on your own, but I came prepared." He blinks 10 feet to the left to demonstrate.

Aldurin
2012-11-17, 07:37 PM
"They must be in the lower prisons below where we were held. I'll let you through, then."

He orders the Owlbear Skeletons to stand down and heads back down to the prison levels.

Rizban
2012-11-17, 07:48 PM
"Good. One of you need a sword to whack watchmen?" He walks past the skeletons and down the stairs, offering the sword if one of the men desires it.

Your prisoner friend ready accepts. "Yeah, I need a good blade."

Aldurin
2012-11-17, 08:07 PM
"Unnecessary for myself, though I am in dire need of my spellpouch and other confiscated equipment at some point. Need me to have the skeletons break down the door to the lower level?"

Rizban
2012-11-18, 03:56 PM
"Go ahead. I'll blink ahead and see if I can find my targets. Save your other spells for combat, we should have company soon. See you in a few."

He walks next to the door and blinks to the other side, walking forward and out of sight.

Aldurin
2012-11-18, 04:10 PM
Ian orders the Owlbear skeletons to attack the iron door so that they're not trapped should resistance come from upstairs. He then turns to the other prisoner.

"Spies, huh? I remember there being mention of that around town. I just wonder if he's going to kill them or save them. Anyway I'd prefer to hold the fort and see where our little teleporter goes with this."

[roll0][roll1]
[roll2][roll3]
[roll4][roll5]
[roll6][roll7]
[roll8][roll9]
[roll10][roll11]

Rizban
2012-11-19, 02:24 AM
Only one of them seems to cause any kind of damage to the iron, and that is minimal at best.

"I don't think that's going to work against hardened iron. Maybe if I tried to just break it down with them helping that would maybe work? I dunno. I just want to be useful."

Aldurin
2012-11-19, 02:30 AM
Ian sighs, frustrated by the slow progress "Sure, I'll try that." He orders the skeletons to break the door.

Break checks for the skeletons.
[roll0]
[roll1]

Rizban
2012-11-19, 02:39 AM
The three, working in tandem, manage to break the iron door from its hinges. Your ally holds onto the bars so that it doesn't clatter to the floor, gently setting the freed door against the wall.

Aldurin
2012-11-19, 02:43 AM
Walking into the stairwell and ordering the skeletons to follow, Ian asks the prisoner, "I'm going down there to see exactly what's going on. Wanna keep watch or tag along?"

Rizban
2012-11-19, 02:45 AM
"Man, I'm not staying up here by myself."

Aldurin
2012-11-19, 02:47 AM
Ian proceeds down the stairs with his companion in tow. "So what's your name? I need to keep a tally on people that are helpful."

Rizban
2012-11-19, 04:09 AM
"Klaus Knaack"

The stairs end at another iron door. The Watchman is nowhere in sight.

Aldurin
2012-11-19, 06:08 PM
Ian orders the skeletons to break the door, "Well let's hope we're not getting ourselves into a worse situation, Klaus."

Break checks
[roll0]
[roll1]

Rizban
2012-11-19, 08:23 PM
They fling themselves at the door and stumble forward as it flies open. It was apparently unlocked.

Descending the stairs to the third level, you find it is identical, yet again, to the cells above. The only light comes from a burning sunrod lying the middle of the floor. Another iron door is at the far end of the hall.

Aldurin
2012-11-20, 01:16 AM
Man, I always do that in D&D. At least the last time it happened I gibbed a kobold on the other side of the door.

Ian sighs and proceeds to the door at the end of the hallway to actually try opening it like a normal person. "What kind of moron doesn't lock every door in their prison?" he mumbles to himself.

Rizban
2012-11-20, 03:09 AM
The far door is also unlocked. Scrapes on each of them reveal that both were recently lock picked.

Do you descend to the fourth level?

Aldurin
2012-11-20, 03:37 PM
Ian continues to descend.

Rizban
2012-11-20, 04:29 PM
The two of you descend the stairs, only to find that the final door is still locked. Once again, a single sunrod lies in the middle of the floor as the only light source.

This door is locked. Scrapes and dents on the lock show where someone tried to open it and failed.

Aldurin
2012-11-20, 07:28 PM
Ian orders the skeletons to break the door down, becoming more and more curious about what was beyond the door.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Rizban
2012-11-21, 12:31 AM
The three working in unison again manage to break the door free from its hinges. This time, however, Klaus does not manage to catch the door, causing it to clatter loudly to the ground. The sound echoes several times.

Aldurin
2012-11-21, 12:41 AM
Ian disregards the door on the ground and proceeds to look around at this new level.

Rizban
2012-11-21, 04:16 AM
The air here is damp, and mildew has begun to grow on the floor and walls, making your footing uneven and potentially treacherous. The sunrod providing the only light in the hall lies in a small puddle that has pooled on the ground, but the pool is so shallow that the sunrod barely even gets wet.

There are again four cells here, all along the same wall. This appears to be the bottom, as no further stairs are evident. These cells are also empty, except for the remains of a skeleton in the far cell, the wall shackle still locked around its ankle.

The man who led you down here is nowhere to be seen.

Aldurin
2012-11-21, 05:52 PM
"Ok, Klaus. I'm gonna look real quick for a passage and then I'll head back. If there's nothing here then there's no point in trapping ourselves in a corner." Ian begins to look around for any telltale signs of a hidden doorway.

[roll0] for the search check.

Rizban
2012-11-21, 09:10 PM
Nice roll!You find no hidden passages nor signs of any attempts to open any of the cells. Perhaps he did not leave via a door...

Aldurin
2012-11-21, 09:17 PM
"Ok, upstairs it is then." Ian proceeds up the staircase, cautious of incoming guards.

Rizban
2012-11-22, 01:49 AM
When you reach the top level, the one with your cells, you hear fighting in the hallway above.

Aldurin
2012-11-22, 03:47 AM
Ian sighs and proceeds up the stairs, readying himself for a fight. "Well, I hope our new friend blinked past us when we tried to follow him."

Rizban
2012-11-23, 12:13 PM
When you reach surface level, you find the hallway outside of the cells empty. Peeking around the corner to your left, you see the faux watchman fighting with other members of the Watch and falling back away from you.

To your right, only about 50 feet away, is the door they brought you through into the cells.

The hallway itself is a few hundred feet long, poorly lighted, and generally nondescript with several small, nondescript hallways crossing it at irregular intervals. It is in one of these side halls that you now stand.

Aldurin
2012-11-24, 03:39 AM
Ian was not happy with this choice at all. There would definitely be some watchmen along the way out if he made it for an escape, but if he helped out the fake soldiers then he might get killed even faster.

He finally decides to take the bigger risk and assist the invaders, running toward the fight and casting Blindness on the closest watchment.

DC 17 Fortitude save to blind the guard.

Rizban
2012-11-25, 12:41 AM
The guard you target begins groping at his eyes in horror as his sight leaves him.

Suddenly, the man you rushed to assist vanishes, obviously teleporting elsewhere. You're not sure whether or not he saw you.

The guards shout at him, begin to look around, and instead find only you and your sword-wielding friend. Those who can see quickly turn and converge on you to fight.

Your move in combat.

Aldurin
2012-11-25, 02:11 AM
Really pissed that his plan backfired the way it did, Ian shouts to Klaus, "Get ready, I'll start picking them off." He then casts blindness on another guard.

Rizban
2012-11-25, 05:13 AM
He succeeds on his save and looks quite angry.

Klaus, maybe out of a desire for revenge, or perhaps just liking a good fight, or even possibly out of a sense of gratefulness to you, charges headlong into the nearest guard, knocking the guard from his feet.

The two guards still standing and able to see attack you.
One hits you for [roll0] damage.

A door on the side hall suddenly opens. "Oh, hello again!" you hear the false Watchman call out, though it isn't quite clear if he means you or the guards. He rushes in to support you, cutting into one of the soldiers and drawing fresh strength from the inflicted pain.

Magic flows into you from the wounds opened on the guard, healing you for [6].

The guard on the floor rolls away from Klaus and stands up.

Your move.

Aldurin
2012-11-25, 01:44 PM
Ian retaliates against the healthiest guard, lashing out with Charnel Touch.

[roll0] attack
[roll1] negative damage

Rizban
2012-11-26, 02:29 PM
Team up thread (http://alt.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14284167#post14284167)

Rizban
2012-12-11, 04:59 PM
They lead you upstairs and back out of the Fortress. The bright sunlight temporarily dazzles you after your long stint underground, but your eyes quickly adjust.

Unless you resist, you are led north to Dockside Gate where your binders are removed just before being ushered out of the city and into the Docks. Fortunately for you, it is still early morning.

Aldurin
2012-12-11, 06:02 PM
Ian doesn't resist, as much as he wants to. He knows that his best bet is to take the banishment and eventually sneak back in, with better preparation and better planning.

Rizban
2012-12-11, 11:46 PM
You're standing just outside Dockside Gate. To the north, you can see the dilapidated slums. To the west is the rest of the Docks.

Two of the guards posted at the gate watch you warily while the rest continuously scan the area and question people who enter the town.

Aldurin
2012-12-13, 01:29 AM
Ian decides to head toward the slums, keeping an eye on any guards he passes.

Rizban
2012-12-13, 05:01 PM
You make it to the first intersection on your way to the Docks before you're stopped by four massive looking hobgoblins who look ready for a fight.

"What you do here?"

Aldurin
2012-12-13, 10:49 PM
"Looking for work." Ian says calmly. He remains relaxed and nonthreatening. "Is this your territory?"

Diplomacy check [roll0] in attempt to bump their attitudes upwards by one stage. I don't know if I need to talk more to keep it from counting as rushed.

Rizban
2012-12-18, 03:15 PM
"Yes is mine. You is here, you pay toll."

They grin menacingly.

Aldurin
2012-12-18, 03:31 PM
"And what is the toll here?" Ian continues.

Does Ian have all of his equipment or did he permanently lose some of it during his time in jail?

Rizban
2012-12-18, 09:12 PM
Anything that was confiscated was dumped off with you in the Docks.He grins even bigger.

"Fifty gold."

Aldurin
2012-12-19, 01:52 AM
"Ok, I'll pay up." Ian spreads his arms out, pauses and says, "I'm just unlocking the magical seal on my pocket." He then casts Necrotic Cyst and holds the charge, reaching into his pocket, withdrawing the 50 coins needed.

Bluff check for lying about the spell. [roll0]
Necrotic Cyst is a DC 17 fort save or be encysted (internally, so they won't immediately notice) should one of them make contact with Ian's hand that's holding the money and the charge.

Rizban
2012-12-19, 08:50 PM
"Yes, yes, coins now!"

The leader holds his hand out waiting for the money.

Aldurin
2012-12-19, 09:06 PM
Ian places the money in the leader's hand, trying to aim his touch so that the necrotic cyst is internally planted in the leader's hand. He remains wary of the other hobgoblins, as if silently accusing them of foul play.

Rizban
2012-12-19, 09:26 PM
He fails the save, and you notice a slight bloating in the palm of his hand.

He does not notice it, distracted by the gold, which he quickly stuffs into a sack tied to his belt.

"Now need toll for them."

The others laugh like madmen as he extends his hand toward you again, a dark malice in his eyes.

Aldurin
2012-12-19, 09:40 PM
"What, really? Oh fine." He casts Necrotic Bloat on the leader, trying to make it look like he's 'unlocking his pocket' again. He then says, "But my gold is cursed."

The leader takes [roll0] damage, half of it vile damage. No save.

Aldurin
2012-12-19, 09:44 PM
Forgot to do the bluff check [roll0]. Hopefully it passes easily with the bonus of the leader's swelling hand.

Rizban
2012-12-19, 09:51 PM
He screams in pain and grabs his hand with his other, dropping his weapon as he does so.

The other two, seeing that their leader is being attacked draw their weapons but hesitate for a moment, unsure what to do.

Initiative
Hob 2 - [roll3]
Leader - [roll1]
You - [roll0]
Hob 1 - [roll2]

Rizban
2012-12-19, 09:53 PM
Hob 2 focuses on you and charges, knowing only that you're responsible somehow. His longsword finds a gap in your armor, dealing [roll0] damage.

The leader, his hand swollen beyond use, picks up his sword with his other hand, swinging it at you in a rage. He misses.

Your turn.

Aldurin
2012-12-20, 02:48 AM
"Bad idea." Ian says, bringing up his fear aura before releasing a negative energy burst.

DC 19 will save or be shaken from Fear Aura (for those within 5 feet). Negative energy burst for [roll0] negative damage to others within 5 feet and healing for self, DC 19 will save to halve the damage for the enemies.

Rizban
2012-12-20, 12:48 PM
Hob2 and Leader both recoil from you in fear, particularly the leader who has already suffered grievously under you.

Hob1, however, is far enough away to not be affected and charges into battle, striking you for [roll0] damage.

Hob2 strikes but misses.

The leader backs away slowly, keeping his sword held up in front of him and clutching his other hand to his chest to protect it from further injury.

Aldurin
2012-12-20, 01:41 PM
Ian begins to fill with rage "I WILL NOT DIE TO YOU SCUM!" He maintains his Fear Aura and lashes out at Hobgoblin 1 with Scabrous Touch.

Touch attack to deliver it through Charnel Touch [roll0]. The damage is [roll1] negative damage and the Scabrous Touch' disease is Blinding Sickness, Fort save DC 19 for the instant incubation with subsequent saves standard for that disease.

Rizban
2012-12-27, 09:47 PM
You touch the hobgoblin, and his muscles shrivel before your eyes.

Hob 1 and 2 continue attacking you, but only 2 hits, dealing [roll0] damage.

The leader continues nursing his injuries and calls out for them to kill you.

Aldurin
2012-12-28, 01:31 AM
With two hobgoblins in poor condition to fight, Ian shoots a horrifying primal look at hobgoblin 2, attempting to scare him off.

[roll0] Intimidate check to increase hobgoblin 2's fear by one stage.
Huh, at least this is the only type of roll where it's hard for me to get screwed over.

Rizban
2013-01-08, 05:59 PM
Sorry for the delay...The hobgoblin quickly backs away from you in fear, and the others miss.

Aldurin
2013-01-08, 10:05 PM
Finally having less pressure on him, Ian strikes out at last hobgoblin in melee range.

[roll0] Touch Attack Roll
[roll1] negative energy damage

Rizban
2013-01-18, 06:21 PM
Sorry about that. Somehow it didn't update in my subscribed thread list.You fail to strike the hobgoblin, but he too turns and runs away.

Also, I've failed to give you any XP this entire time. You gain 1,000xp.

Aldurin
2013-01-18, 06:38 PM
If I'm reading this right then they've all backed off (at least momentarily).

Finally, some space to breathe. Ian draws his bow from his bag and fires an arrow at the leader. Now that they know fear, time to teach them what happens when they mess with the source.

[roll0] Attack roll
[roll1] confrim
[roll2] damage
[roll3] crit

Rizban
2013-01-18, 10:43 PM
You hit the leader as he runs, and he stumbles but keeps moving. Before you can nock another arrow, they have all turned corners and can no longer be seen.

Aldurin
2013-01-19, 06:30 PM
"Oh, you're not off my list yet." Ian mutters. He puts away his bow and proceeds into the slums, healing himself back to full health while he gets his bearings of the area.

Gather Information [roll0] to find out who runs the area and the significant activities that take place. Ian should be by full health if he's uninterrupted while using Charnel Touch on himself.

Rizban
2013-01-21, 11:00 AM
Judging by the large number of goblinoids and the hobgoblin thugs obviously oppressing and protecting the district, it is readily obvious which group is in charge.

Aldurin
2013-01-21, 01:42 PM
With some wariness in mind, Ian seeks out the most prominent business in the area, in order to see if he can find some equipment or income for equipment.

Rizban
2013-01-21, 03:57 PM
It appears that there are only two prominent "businesses" in the district: a very heavily fortified inn surrounded by hobgoblin guards and what appears to be a large glass building with some sort of sports arena inside of it.

Aldurin
2013-01-21, 08:42 PM
Ian decides to approach the inn, as it might be safe to assume that the other hobgoblins from earlier are merely one of many minor factions in the slums and aren't under the command of whoever owns the inn.

Rizban
2013-01-23, 06:00 AM
Approaching the inn, large hobgoblins move to block your way. Judging by the vivid blue face paint identical to that on the hobs you fought earlier, you start to have second thoughts.

Aldurin
2013-01-23, 12:42 PM
Ian gives them a wary look, and then decides to check out the arena instead.

Rizban
2013-01-25, 04:52 AM
Short delay while I confer with another DM about something.

Rizban
2013-01-25, 11:51 AM
Ian gives them a wary look, and then decides to check out the arena instead.

You walk inside. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14591246#post14591246)

hustlertwo
2013-01-26, 01:59 PM
The hob leads you to the main attraction, a large, sprawling arena with faded pink bloodstains on its floors and light dancing on the many glass surfaces. http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/867/11scorersglassarena.png

-To reiterate what the map rules say above, everything in here is transparent. There is no way to block line of sight aside from magic, powers, or items. Please make a note of it.
-Ignore the lava, it's not there. Those squares instead represent the unpassable border of the map.
-Max elevation is 150 feet above 0. Go past that, you get disqualified as if you ran away.

He stands on the north end, with his skeleton by his side.

I always audition new workers in here, by trying to kill them. Don't worry; anyone who dies in this place is instantly restored to life. Had magical wards built in, spared no expense.

So here's the skinny, skinny; there are three groups plaguing us poor Slum folk at the moment. The mysterious and seemingly endless ratlings in the sewers, the mercs hired by Aldhaven's cowardly guards to take back the Docks, and the skulky Skulks, a subhumanoid race who got all butthurt just because we kinda sorta killed off most of their women and children. But they're bad people, so it's OK Which of those would you wish to pursue?

He looks back at the skeleton again.

Oh, right, got carried away talking about the future killing, almost forgot about the present killing. I know Bennie and I are a little initimidating, and handsome, and snappy dressers. And frankly, you look a little worn out, sport. So I'll give you a choice: either we can fight you without using any of our fun items and toys for help, just my magic and his claws, or I can put away my robe and my wizard hat, and the pair of us will take you on without me using any magic at all.

When you provide your answers, go ahead and provide initiative as well.

Aldurin
2013-01-26, 04:40 PM
"Since I'm almost empty for the day, let's do no spells." Ian replies. Though he becomes a little bit worried, as his slaps won't do any good against the skeleton.

Initiative: [roll0]

hustlertwo
2013-01-26, 04:52 PM
The hob puts away his wand. Not a problem. Let's dance, buttercup.

In place of the wand, Wilstaff draws out a rather menacing length of spiked chain, which he swings back and forth in a wide arc. Bennett begins with a flail and heavy shield clasped in his claws.

You go first. Wilstaff and Bennett are in M and N4, respectively.

Aldurin
2013-01-26, 05:03 PM
Ian pulls a ball out of his bag of tricks and drops it in front of him, ordering the resulting creature to defend him.

[roll0] for the bag of tricks (rust).

I can work with a boar.

hustlertwo
2013-01-26, 10:29 PM
Aw, he brought a fun toy. But I got bad news for you, kid; as with everything in life, being good just doesn't mean much when the other guy has a bigger bankroll stuffed into his britches.

Wilstaff pulls out an identical bag, but tan-colored, and throws a ball out in front of himself that turns into a large and ill-tempered rhinoceros. He and Bennett move to G-5 and 6.

[roll0]

Sorry, probably not gonna use it, just being a showoffy prick. Anyhow, while we try to murder each other, let's talk turkey: which threat do you want to deal with? Rats, skulks, or mercs?

Aldurin
2013-01-26, 10:46 PM
As Ian dashes along with his boar in tow and tries to keep his nervousness under control, he replies, "I'm more equipped for social stealth and debilitation, and I've got a nasty tumorous trick I can pull. You may have seen it on one of your Blue Hand boys who got a little bit too greedy earlier today. There's some nasty stuff I can do to a person when they have that, so mercs may be more of my game. And I'm working toward getting the whole undead army down, so I could also help address your other two problems later down the line. I'm sure the slums is in no shortage of corpses."

Ian uses full-round action to move to L13, with the boar right behind him.

hustlertwo
2013-01-27, 05:29 PM
Wilstaff frowns, and his gloved hand tightens on the spiked chain.

Messing with a brother in Blue? Not smart. I'll give you a pass this time. And I mean that literally, it's a pass we issue to Arena combatants or private contractors like yourself to keep the boys off your back. But in return, you never fight another Blue Hand again. If you get hired by someone else and they ask you to do so, call in sick. Khan Drogo, the leader of the clan, took us in when the narrow-minded city folk called ol' Bennie an abomination. He accepted us, bankrolled the contruction of this place, gave us a way for Bennett to walk around the city undetected, and has allowed us to slowly build the start of the undead army you've mentioned. Why, you can't toss a halfling in the halls of the Clan HQ without hitting a zombie or skeleton we raised. And we've even been quietly using them to supplement the ranks of the Extracity Watch during these early days. So be nice, because the Khan and his Blue Hands are the best friend that necro-tastic folk like us can have.

However, the mercs would be fine, circulating pain money and all. They came in and killed a lot of innocent hobs, as well as less than innocent ones, in the name of dampening the war between Blues and Skulks for control of the Docks. Anything to make it harder and more expensive for them, the better. Ideally, we would make it seem as if it was the skulks hitting them, so they face the retaliation. What race are you, champ? My eyes aren't the best, you know.

Ben moves to F-10 and takes a defensive stance, while Wilstaff puts away the chain and draws out a composite longbow instead while 5-foot stepping to G-6.

Aldurin
2013-01-27, 08:47 PM
"Aasimar . . . kind of. If I had a choice it definitely wouldn't be that though, they're a bunch of self-righteous pricks. And fair enough with the clan, assuming of course this allows me to walk about the slums without them demanding tolls at every block, since that's what started the tussle." Ian replies, a more begrudging tone during both topics. He then pulls out a bow and fires at the glass near Bennet.

Ian draws his bow and fires an arrow at the glass wall along rows 10 and 11.
[roll0] Attack
[roll1] Damage

hustlertwo
2013-01-29, 06:51 AM
The glass shatters, spraying the skeleton with shards and dealing [roll0] slashing damage, though his bony frame seems somewhat resistant to the assault.

A fellow necromancer and a fellow bowsman! How excellent! And yes, the pass will keep them off your back. We get more money from people like you working with me than they would with their piddling tolls and muggings.

Wilstaff levitates into the air 20 feet, and fires an arrow at you.

[roll1] [roll2]

Bennett moves to I-13 and readies an action.

Aldurin
2013-01-29, 01:23 PM
Ignoring the arrow wound for the moment, Ian attempts to rebuke Bennet before sending the boar after it.

Rebuking check: [roll0] should it work then Bennet should cower and attacks against him gain +2 bonus.
Boar's attack (he move to J13 to attack):
[roll1], [roll2]

hustlertwo
2013-01-30, 06:51 AM
The rebuke is successful, and Bennett does indeed cower before the necromancer, although the boar still manages to miss. An annoyed Wilstaff nocks another arrow and fires.

[roll0] [roll1]

Aldurin
2013-01-30, 02:04 PM
Ian returns fire at Wilstaff while the boar continues to assault Bennet.

Ian's attack:
[roll0] Attack
[roll1] Confirm
[roll2] Damage
[roll3] Crit

Boar's attack:
[roll4] Attack
[roll5]

hustlertwo
2013-01-30, 06:52 PM
Bennett, you need to find your nuts. I think we left them back in your coffin after I dug you out.

Wilstaff fires again, and then shifts his bow to one hand to give the finger to Ian with the other.

[roll0] [roll1]

After firing, he levitates back down to the ground.

hustlertwo
2013-01-30, 06:54 PM
Crit chance: [roll0] [roll1]

Aldurin
2013-01-31, 03:07 AM
That last arrow leaving him on the edge of death, Ian grits his teeth and channels negative energy into the wound, causing it to heal enough for him to stay conscious. "A lucky shot, it probably would have won the fight against someone less persistent."

The boar once again tries to gore the Bennet.

Egads, good thing I have DR, since that crit put me at 0 hp. Standard action to Charnel Touch self for healing [roll0] hitpoints and become operational again.

Boar's attack again:
[roll1]
[roll2]

hustlertwo
2013-02-01, 08:23 PM
I am impressed. I think you're going to be as good of a hire as that sprightly fellow that captured me a live skulk and always talked in the third person.

Wilstaff puts back the bow and moves to F-10, drawing his spiked chain as he does so.

Aldurin
2013-02-02, 07:40 PM
Ian moves back to the stairs and continues to tend to his wounds as the boar persists to finally harm Bennet.

Ian moves to R14 and uses charnel touch to heal another [roll0] HP. The boar once again attacks Bennet.

Boar's attack:
[roll1]
[roll2]

hustlertwo
2013-02-02, 08:01 PM
What will you be looking for in the way of compensaton for haranguing those mercs, my rebuking friend?

Wilstaff double moves to R-11. Bennett continues to avoid damage despite his lack of action.

Aldurin
2013-02-02, 08:31 PM
"Resources, which also includes hard cash. Short term I want to have myself properly decked out so I can do things with less hassle, one of those being a way to illegally get back into the city limits without the Watch attempting to gut me. I'm also trying to advance my magic studies so I can do those things better. Basically I'm looking for more power, through both magical proficiency and through a bag of gold and a friendly artificer." Ian replies as he moves farther back and continues to heal.

Ian moves to T16 and heals himself for another [roll0] damage. And the stupid, useless boar continues to fumble around Bennet.

[roll1] Attack
[roll2] Damage

hustlertwo
2013-02-02, 08:42 PM
Still a miss. But only just. Skeletal companions are AC beasts.

Money we can do; for starters we'll toss you a couple hundred gold just to find a simple place out here to crash and get some supplies. As for getting into the city, you definitely picked the right group to hang with. Bennett, stop shaking enough to show our favorite of the Khan's gifts.

The skeleton, still cowed before Ian, pulls out a hat and puts it on, turning instantly into a nondescript human male.

We won't be providing those up front, but do well and I think one can end up your way.

Wil double moves to W-15.

Aldurin
2013-02-02, 09:26 PM
Ian commands the boar to attack Wilstaff as he fires a shot from his bow at Wilstaff and brings up his fear aura. "Good to know."

The boar dashes to T-15 [roll0] balance check for running down stairs.

Ian's Attack on Wilstaff
[roll1] Attack
[roll2] Confirm
[roll3] Damage
[roll4] Crit

Also: Fear Aura is brought up, Will Save DC 19 or be shakened if Wilstaff gets within five feet of Ian.

hustlertwo
2013-02-02, 09:38 PM
[roll0] damage for the boar falling.

[roll1] for the Will save.

Turn to come based on results of save.

hustlertwo
2013-02-02, 09:44 PM
You...you have made me feel fear. How glorious! I never get to do that anymore! Ben and I have come near death so many times that it doesn't really register emotionally for me anymore, though clearly Chicken Little-balls over there is still bothered by it.

He gestures at Bennett.

Sadly, this is not the most useless you've been in a fight, Bennie!

Wil 5-foots to V-16 and lashes out with the spiked chain at Ian.

[roll0] [roll1]

The boar is now prone in R-14, so you know.

Aldurin
2013-02-03, 12:39 AM
Deftly avoiding the strike, Ian leans in closer, a psychotic look on his face as slowly reaches toward Wilstaff. "Oh, the people that forget fear are the best to scare, for they're like children screaming at the monster under the bed." His left eyelid twitches a little, "Except this monster is real."

Ian 5-foots to U-16 and Intimidates Wilstaff to escalate his fear status to frightened. [roll0].

The boar gets off of the ground and moves to V-15.

hustlertwo
2013-02-03, 09:11 AM
Mommmmmmyyyyyyyy!

Mindless of the attacks he might incur, Wilstaff flees upward, rocketing 40 feet into the air with his boots of levitation.

Bennett continues to be useless.

Aldurin
2013-02-03, 02:18 PM
Annoyed that the hobgoblin fled upward, Ian fires an arrow at him. "Geez, you are a real pansy, you know that?"

One arrow shot at Wilstaff, the boar remains in the same square.

[roll0] Attack
[roll1] Confirm
[roll2] Damage
[roll3] Crit

hustlertwo
2013-02-03, 06:18 PM
The arrow streaks toward Wilstaff's arm and leaves a slight scratch, though it seems as if it did not pierce the skin as deep as it should have. He speaks to Ian through teeth chattering from severe fear. H-h-h-h-hey now, k-k-k-keep in mind if we weren't so n-n-n-nice we could have just squashed you at any time.

For emphasis, he proves this by dropping his chain, which clanks to the ground below, drawing a rod that he holds in one hand and then triggering a button on it while he fires a lightning bolt at the rhino he summoned for [roll0]

Aldurin
2013-02-03, 10:43 PM
Ian steps below Wilstaff and puts his foot on the chain, firing straight up at the hobgoblin. "Of course, because money itself is a very effective form of power. But for now, I'll either shoot you down or you can get over your jitters and face me yourself." He says in a sly and almost mocking manner.

Ian steps into the square below Wilstaff, standing on the chain so he can't pick it up if he comes back down. I'm surprised I've actually got a level 9 and his cronie locked down.

[roll0] Attack
[roll1] Confirm
[roll2] Damage
[roll3] Crit

hustlertwo
2013-02-03, 11:00 PM
It's very impressive, no doubt. After all, even though I'm going no magic you're not at a full spell complement either.

During one of his spasms, Wilstaff reaches out and knocks away the arrow as it streak toward him.

M-m-money doesn't mean as much as you think. M-m-magic either. Not compared to good old fashioned t-t-toughness.

He descends thirty feet, just a bit overhead Ian now. Bennett begins to stir but is still transfixed for the moment.

Aldurin
2013-02-04, 02:36 AM
Ian draws another arrow and fires, "Toughness alone can only get you so far, let's see how well your endurance is."

[roll0] Attack
[roll1] Confirm
[roll2] Damage
[roll3] Crit

hustlertwo
2013-02-04, 06:38 AM
Wilstaff knocks this arrow down as well as he begins to calm himself.

Keep it u-u-up. I can do this all day.

He floats down to the ground and attempts to grapple with the other mage.

[roll0] vs. touch AC. Strength check is [roll1]

Aldurin
2013-02-04, 12:54 PM
Opposed Strength Check [roll0]

Aldurin
2013-02-04, 12:56 PM
Managing to push Wilstaff off of him, Ian lashes out with Charnel Touch.

[roll0] Touch Attack
[roll1] Negative Energy Damage

hustlertwo
2013-02-04, 05:02 PM
Wilstaff dances away from the spell, now in . Bennett said I should not let bad men touch me.

He draws a dagger glowing with an unpleasant aura and attempts to perforate Ian.

[roll0] [roll1]

hustlertwo
2013-02-04, 05:04 PM
[roll0] [roll1] Crit confirm.

Aldurin
2013-02-04, 05:27 PM
Ian once again reaches to try to hit Wilstaff with the touch attack. The boar also strikes.

[roll0] Touch Attack
[roll1] Negative Energy damage

Boar's Attack
[roll2] Attack
[roll3] Confirm
[roll4] Damage
[roll5] Crit Damage

hustlertwo
2013-02-05, 09:47 PM
Across the arena, Bennett stirs, rising from his kneeling position and moving to L-13.

About time! Next time keep your submissive fetish for that old broad you hook up with.

Wilstaff narrowly avoids both attacks and lashes out with the blade again.

[roll0] [roll1] (how long does Fear Aura last, so I know?)

Map repost for convenience:

http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/867/11scorersglassarena.png

-To reiterate what the map rules say above, everything in here is transparent. There is no way to block line of sight aside from magic, powers, or items. Please make a note of it.
-Ignore the lava, it's not there. Those squares instead represent the unpassable border of the map.
-Max elevation is 150 feet above 0. Go past that, you get disqualified as if you ran away.

Aldurin
2013-02-06, 02:21 AM
Heroes of Horror doesn't list a duration on Fear Aura's shaken effect, just that making the save makes the person immune to that specific fear aura for 24 hours. So it's your call as the DM.

Ian once again attempts to land the touch, "Looks like we've got a party again. Let's see how well this works out."

Charnel Touch on Wilstaff and the Boar attacks Wilstaff. Fear Aura is still maintained.

Ian's Attack
[roll0] Touch Attack
[roll1] Negative Energy Damage

Boar's Attack
[roll2] Attack
[roll3] Damage

hustlertwo
2013-02-06, 06:47 AM
We will say all battle, then.

Both attacks hit, though the boar's tusks are blunted by Wilstaff's durability. Bennett double moves to T-16, providing Wil a flanking opportunity for his dagger doings.

[roll0] [roll1]

Aldurin
2013-02-06, 12:43 PM
"Hey now, wait your turn." Ian says as he once again attempts to rebuke Bennet while the boar continues to assault Wilstaff.

Rebuke undead to force Bennet to cower again, [roll0].

Boar's attack on Wilstaff.
[roll1]
[roll2]

hustlertwo
2013-02-06, 04:40 PM
Bennett stands resolute, and responds by swinging his flail.

[roll0] [roll1] He then loosens his shield and drops it to the ground.

Wilstaff narrowly avoids the boar's tusks and waves his dagger around.

Let's change the tune of this dance into a POLKA!

At that word, he thrusts the dagger again. [roll2] [roll3]

Aldurin
2013-02-06, 05:19 PM
Ian dodges the dagger and tries to rebuke Bennet again. "Nah, not my kind of music."

Rebuking Check [roll0]

Boar's attack on Wilstaff
[roll1]
[roll2]

hustlertwo
2013-02-06, 07:21 PM
Blood seeps from a new hole in Wilstaff's leg, but he seems too caught up in his attack to notice. Polka your eyes out!

More daggery fun. [roll0] [roll1]

The flail joins the shield on the floor, and now Bennett lashes out with two fast claw strikes.

[roll2] [roll3] [roll4] [roll5]

Aldurin
2013-02-06, 09:44 PM
Ian steps out of the middle of the two and once again tries to neutralize Bennett.

Five-foot step to U-15 and rebuke again.
Rebuking check [roll0]

[roll1]
[roll2]

hustlertwo
2013-02-06, 10:11 PM
Bennett shuts down again, and a cross Wilstaff lashes out again.
Your abilities are impressive, but defeat is inevitable. Magic fades, but muscles like mine are forever.

[roll0] [roll1]

hustlertwo
2013-02-08, 05:05 PM
Half bump, half making sure thread didn't glitch.

Aldurin
2013-02-08, 07:11 PM
Nah, just got distracted by other things for a bit.

Ian steps back again and heals, "Maybe for someone who follows the rules of magic. Magic and people are just as mortal, unless you find a way around one using the other . . ."

Charnel Touch on self for [roll0] healing.

[roll1] Attack
[roll2] Damage

hustlertwo
2013-02-08, 09:08 PM
While we're philosophizin', here's my own nugget of wisdom: speak loudly and carry a big stick for whompin'.

The hob shifts the dagger to his off hand and draws out a club, which he swings at the necromancer.

[roll0] [roll1]

Aldurin
2013-02-09, 02:17 AM
Ian continues to nurse his wounds and withstand the onslaught. "Well . . . endurance it is then."

Is the club enchanted? Important for factoring in damage reduction.

Heal self for [roll0] hitpoints.

[roll1] Attack
[roll2] Damage

hustlertwo
2013-02-09, 01:17 PM
No. Just normal bludgeoning damage. The dagger was enchanted, though.

Wilstaff winces.

Sounds good to me. I can go all night, just ask any of those hookers I paid to answer that I can.

He sheathes the club and then presses a button on his belt, healing himself for [roll0]

Aldurin
2013-02-11, 03:06 AM
Ian continues to close his wounds with negative energy while the boar continues it's assault, "Nice belt, it may work to your favor assuming doesn't run out of charges."

[roll0] Healing

Boar's attack
[roll1]
[roll2]

Aldurin
2013-02-11, 03:07 AM
Crit confirmation
[roll0]
[roll1]

hustlertwo
2013-02-11, 06:33 PM
Yes, this and the boots of floatiness I brought with me to this fairly foul city. The rest are from the spoils of slaughter, both in the arena and out of it.

Wilstaff almost completely ignores the boar's ineffectual attacks.

The real question is, whether my healing and natural awesomeness will run out before you run out of times you can work over Bennett's nerves with your stern rebukes. I think we both know once he's back in the game, you're right out. Although if ever you grow weary of this slow dance and want to step up the pace, I can call ol' Stampy over to sit on your face.

He gestures toward the rhino, still smarting from its electrical attack.

Afterwards, he drops the club and thrusts forward with the enchanted dagger once again.

[roll0] [roll1]

hustlertwo
2013-02-11, 06:34 PM
Crit for a crit: [roll0] [roll1]

Aldurin
2013-02-12, 04:17 PM
"Crazy things happen in fights, so don't call it quits yet." Ian coldy replies, before his expression changes back to mildly psychotic as he reaches out again.

Intimidate Wilstaff to make him frightened again. [roll0]

Boar's attack
[roll1]
[roll2]

hustlertwo
2013-02-13, 08:41 PM
[roll0] opposing Intimidate

Turn after we see the results.

hustlertwo
2013-02-13, 08:44 PM
For personal reference: 5 rounds until re-reanimation of reanimated skeleton.

Up up and awayyyyy!

Wilstaff flees again, now floating forty feet up. On the way up he sheathes his dagger, leaving him empty-handed.