PDA

View Full Version : Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXII

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

averagejoe
2012-05-20, 12:00 AM
(This is a fairly high procedure thread; please read the entire instructions carefully before posting. Thanks.)

Ever have a simple, straight-forward rules question that you can’t figure out the answer to? Ask it here. No question is too simple. No more worrying about whether your question is “worth” starting a thread. Ask here and receive an answer. You are, of course, welcome to start a thread for your question, and if you think your question is subject to many interpretations or will start a debate, you are encouraged to start a new thread for it.

This thread will serve as a catch-all for simple, discreet questions that can be answered quickly according to the RAW (Rules As Written). This thread is for all simple RAW questions about D&D 3.5. If your question is not about the RAW for 3.5, please look in the appropriate threads in the appropriate forums.

The Procedure:

Do:
Label your questions with bold Q#s.
Label your answers with the bold Q# that you are responding to and/or quote the question.
Be sure that your answer is correct before you post it; if you are the least bit uncertain, just let it pass and get the next one.
Try to give your answers in as clear and straightforward terms as possible.
Feel free to quote or link to relevant rules in the SRD, Errata, or FAQ that supports your answer. (You may want to give your answer and then modify it to add support – otherwise someone else may answer while you’re assembling yours.)
Specify if your question is for a system other than D&D (the default for this thread).

Don’t:
Ask Homebrew rules questions here.
Ask trick questions or attempt to “stump the panel,” so to speak.
Answer a question that’s already been answered.
Offer contradictions, clarifications, exceptions, or extensions of prior answers unless, in your opinion, the answer give is plainly and completely wrong.
Post to debate the answers given.
Post to carry on other conversations whether tangentially related or wholly unrelated.

Dispute Resolution Procedure:
If you dispute someone’s answer – meaning that they got it wrong in a critical fashion – post your answer and suggest that the original questioner start a thread to discuss it further if they want it hashed out.
If someone disputes your answer, don’t respond. Just wait to see if the original questioner starts a new thread to discuss it.
If your question leads to a disputed answer, start a new thread if you’d like it discussed further.

Here are some sample questions. “Bad” questions just mean they should be asked in their own thread where you can get many answers and opinions. “Good” questions just mean that these are the types of questions that are amenable to a quick straightforward answer (probably).

Sample “Bad” Questions:
How do I play D&D? (Great question, but not for this thread.)
What is a good 10 level TWF build? (Far too broad and requires much opinion)
What +2 LA race should I take for my sorcerer build? (Again, an opinion question)
Which is better GURPS or D&D?

Sample “Good” Questions:
Q.1. Are there any Large +0 LA races?
Q.2. As a sorcerer/rogue, do I get to add sneak attack damage to my attack spells?
Q.3. What effect would Dispel Magic have on a golem or similar construct?
Q.4. Is there a feat that allows me to get a familiar?

{The first several versions of this thread seemed to run pretty efficiently, but if you have any comments about how this thread could be improved please PM me.}

Please start over with the numbering. Thanks.

Roland St. Jude
2012-11-13, 10:42 PM
Sheriff: Please use this thread rather than the older version.

GilesTheCleric
2012-11-13, 10:54 PM
Re-post from the previous thread.

Q 1

Can the Talontar Blightlord PrC's 10th lvl ability to become a plant (Unapproachable East 34) be used with the Arcane Hierophant PrC's 6th lvl ability to deliver spells from plants (Races of the Wild 108)?

Blightlord's text says "her type changes to 'plant'", and Hierophant's text says "conduit between yourself and a natural, nonanimated plant (but not creatures of the plant type)". I'm not sure about how the differences between type: plant, type: creature (plant subtype), and type: plant (but really a creature) work from the wording of the two classes.

Q 2

If Blightlord's class ability doesn't work, is there another way to play a plant character that Hierophant will work with? (template, class, wildshape, something?)

Q 3

Can the spell Phoenix Fire (BoED) be cast by a character with the Ardent Dilettante's 10th level ability to not lose a level when dying (PlH 55)?

Marthinwurer
2012-11-13, 11:38 PM
Q 4
When using the evasive reflexes or sidestep feats while mounted, can your mount take the 5' steps?

gooddragon1
2012-11-13, 11:51 PM
Q 5

Can the Greater Acid Assault Crystal inflict a -1 AC penalty on a hit even if the target has acid resistance 6 or higher?

Curmudgeon
2012-11-13, 11:53 PM
A 4 No.

Only the creature who has a feat can use it. If your mount had one of these feats and qualified for its benefit, that mount could take a 5' step.

RMS Oceanic
2012-11-14, 02:29 AM
Q 6

I take a Ranger Substitution Level 2, swapping out combat style for something else, meaning I don't get to choose Two-Weapon Fighting or Rapid Shot. When I reach level 6 I take a normal Ranger Level. Do I get a choice between Improved Two-Weapon Fighting and Manyshot or Two-Weapon Fighting or Rapid Shot? In other words, does the first stage of Combat Style now start at level 6 or can I skip on to the next one?

MrLemon
2012-11-14, 04:50 AM
A 6 partial

The only substitution levels I know of that trade Combat Style are the Fangshield levels from CV. If you have different ones, tell us :smallamused:
They also tell you what you can get at level 6.

Generally, once you choose your combat style, you have to take all of the Feats in there.

RMS Oceanic
2012-11-14, 04:57 AM
Q 6 Context

I was referring to the Moon-Warded Ranger in Dragon Magazine #340, where one can swap the first stage of Combat Style for Wisdom to AC. It is silent about what you take at level 6 if you don't take its susbtitute level.

Artillery
2012-11-14, 05:08 AM
Q7. Thunderlance is a weapon like spell. It has variable range 0 to 20ft. Does it threaten all squares in reach or just those at maximum range?

This based off of the Spell Compendium version of the spell.

Kumori
2012-11-14, 05:27 AM
A7 You threaten all creatures up to and including those 20' away.

THUNDERLANCE
[..]
This effect gives you a natural reach of 20 feet.

Large, Huge, Gargantuan, and Colossal Creatures
[..]
Unlike when someone uses a reach weapon, a creature with greater than normal natural reach (more than 5 feet) still threatens squares adjacent to it. A creature with greater than normal natural reach usually gets an attack of opportunity against you if you approach it, because you must enter and move within the range of its reach before you can attack it. (This attack of opportunity is not provoked if you take a 5-foot step.)

matten17
2012-11-14, 05:48 AM
Q 8

Does the feat Pain Mastery from Savage Species grant you its bonus for every 50 hp you loss, regardless of the attacks? or does it have to come from a single attack?
Does the strength bonuses stack?

docnessuno
2012-11-14, 09:46 AM
A8
You gain the bonus(es) for every 50 damage you take, even in smaller bits.
The bonuses stack, since they are unnamed and worded as to increase your base strenght (rather than giving an actual bonus to it).

Curmudgeon
2012-11-14, 12:52 PM
A 6

Substitution levels like Moon-Warded Ranger replace the normal levels in a class whenever you select one. Other class levels are available normally, but you must follow the RAW.
Improved Combat Style (Ex)

At 6th level, a ranger’s aptitude in his chosen combat style (archery or two-weapon combat) improves. If he selected archery at 2nd level, he is treated as having the Manyshot feat, even if he does not have the normal prerequisites for that feat.

If the ranger selected two-weapon combat at 2nd level, he is treated as having the Improved Two-Weapon Fighting feat, even if he does not have the normal prerequisites for that feat. Because these benefits are conditional, if you did not select a Combat Style at level 2 you would receive no benefit from Improved Combat Style at level 6, or from Combat Style Mastery at level 11. That means you would be better off choosing the additional Moon-Warded Ranger substitution levels instead.

Archmage1
2012-11-14, 04:20 PM
Does spellthief 1/Bard 1/Wiz 5/something/knight of the weave 1/sublime chord 1
Get you infinite CL, provided you have the master spellthief feat, knight of the weave's CL based on Sublime chord, and sublime chord's CL based on knight of the weave?
(might need a psychic reformation to get knight of the weave to base its CL on sublime chord)

KillianHawkeye
2012-11-14, 04:56 PM
Q 1

Can the Talontar Blightlord PrC's 10th lvl ability to become a plant (Unapproachable East 34) be used with the Arcane Hierophant PrC's 6th lvl ability to deliver spells from plants (Races of the Wild 108)?

Blightlord's text says "her type changes to 'plant'", and Hierophant's text says "conduit between yourself and a natural, nonanimated plant (but not creatures of the plant type)". I'm not sure about how the differences between type: plant, type: creature (plant subtype), and type: plant (but really a creature) work from the wording of the two classes.

Q 2

If Blightlord's class ability doesn't work, is there another way to play a plant character that Hierophant will work with? (template, class, wildshape, something?)

A 1

You are a bit confused. The categories "type: plant, type: creature (plant subtype), and type: plant (but really a creature)" are not accurate. More specifically, they seem to all be describing the same thing: a Plant-type creature. Read more about creature types here. (http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/typesSubtypes.htm)

So to answer your question, if the Hierophant ability says that it works with "a natural, nonanimated plant (but not creatures of the plant type)," what it really means is that it works only with plants that are part of the scenery.

A 2

There is no way to play a plant character without playing a creature of the Plant type. Maybe you can have a character wear a normal plant and use that?

Melnir
2012-11-14, 05:46 PM
Q 9

If I'm facing a beholder with antimagic eye opened and somehow I stun it, does it close its eye or is it still opened?

docnessuno
2012-11-14, 06:15 PM
A 9

If they eye was open when the beheolder got stunned, it remains open.

killem2
2012-11-14, 06:37 PM
Q 10: I know of a variant for barbarian's rage ability. I cannot find the name or the source, but I know it auto kicked in when the barbarian reached 10% of their total hp and then it would not stop until they are dead or they are healed over that 10% again.

inexorabletruth
2012-11-14, 06:43 PM
Q11
Are there any rules or guidelines that cover establishing the cost of a custom crafted item?

A player in my campaign has requested a custom case be built, and he wants to know the price of the item. He has listed what type of wood, leather, metal, and quality of lock he would like used.

PHB says to have the DM make up a price, but I was hoping that there were at least some published guidelines... like maybe the cost of raw materials as a starting point.

Curmudgeon
2012-11-14, 07:06 PM
A 10

You're probably thinking of Berserker Strength (Player's Handbook II, page 33). You gain a rage that activates every time your HP drop to below 5x your Barbarian level.

A 11 No.

As a general principle, the cost of labor greatly outweighs the cost of materials in most custom items. And as the book says, this is up to each individual DM to decide.

Squark
2012-11-14, 10:50 PM
Q12
Can a character make an attack of opportunity in the surprise round if they're surprised? In this specific case, a character failed a sense motive check, and as such isn't getting to act in the surprise round, but they're getting bull rushed over the railing of a boat, and I'm not sure if the character gets an Attack of Opportunity or not- Wait, he's not armed, so no, he doesn't (So, I don't need the answer to this question to get on with the game). That being said, would he be able to do so if he had his weapon out? Google seems to indicate that he wouldn't be able to in Pathfinder, but I couldn't find a definitive answer for 3.5.

KillianHawkeye
2012-11-14, 10:53 PM
A 12 No.

You cannot take Attacks of Opportunity if you are flat-footed (which you are if you are surprised).

Squark
2012-11-14, 11:08 PM
Thanks. Another question on surprise rounds

Q 13: Can you take a swift action and a standard/move action in a Surprise round? Also, can you take an immediate action once you are no longer flat footed in the surprise round?

Duke of Urrel
2012-11-14, 11:11 PM
A 12 Addendum

If your character has the Combat Reflexes feat, then he can make attacks of opportunity while flat-footed. Otherwise, no.

Duke of Urrel
2012-11-14, 11:23 PM
Thanks. Another question on surprise rounds

Q 13: Can you take a swift action and a standard/move action in a Surprise round? Also, can you take an immediate action once you are no longer flat footed in the surprise round?

A 13

I assume that you mean: Can I take these actions while I am surprised? In this case, no, you can't.

When you're surprised, you're flat-footed and generally can't move or act. You can't even take a free action (unless your DM allows it). The only exception I know is making an attack of opportunity if you have the Combat Reflexes feat. However, as soon as you move or act on your own initiative count (that is, as soon as your first turn begins), you're no longer flat-footed.

But what if you mean: Can I take these actions while one or more enemies are surprised? In this case, yes, you can.

Squark
2012-11-14, 11:30 PM
Q 13 clarification:
Sorry if I wasn't clear here: During the surprise round, each aware combatant gets to take 1 standard action (which they can turn into a move action). Since a swift action is neither of these, does this mean someone can't take a swift action during the surprise round?

Kumori
2012-11-14, 11:43 PM
A13 You can make a swift action during the surprise round:

The Surprise Round

If some but not all of the combatants are aware of their opponents, a surprise round happens before regular rounds begin. Any combatants aware of the opponents can act in the surprise round, so they roll for initiative. In initiative order (highest to lowest), combatants who started the battle aware of their opponents each take a standard action during the surprise round. You can also take free actions during the surprise round. If no one or everyone is surprised, no surprise round occurs.

Swift Actions

A swift action consumes a very small amount of time, but represents a larger expenditure of effort and energy than a free action. You can perform one swift action per turn without affecting your ability to perform other actions. In that regard, a swift action is like a free action. However, you can perform only a single swift action per turn, regardless of what other actions you take. You can take a swift action any time you would normally be allowed to take a free action. Swift actions usually involve spellcasting or the activation of magic items; many characters (especially those who don't cast spells) never have an opportunity to take a swift action.
[..]

Underlined the relevant bits.

Ketiara
2012-11-15, 10:01 AM
Q14
When in wildshape, lets say some batform, and your animal companion is a dinosaur or wolf, is it possible to use tricks due to the fact that you only have bat sounds?
Or do I have to teach it tricks in human language and bat language?

qwertyu63
2012-11-15, 10:57 AM
Q15:

If you are exactly on a carrying capacity load limit, you do still use the better one right? (example: Str 13 carrying exactly 50 lbs.)

Q16:

Are there listed prices for buying animals anywhere?

docnessuno
2012-11-15, 11:06 AM
A 14

The handle animal description doesn't mention in any way verbal communication as a requirement to impart orders. RAW you can use tricks while wildshaped.

A 15

Yes, in your example the SRd clearly states Light: 50 or less

mattie_p
2012-11-15, 12:05 PM
Q16:

Are there listed prices for buying animals anywhere?

A16 (Partial) Yes.

The SRD has a link under Goods and Services, Mounts and Related Gear (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsAndServices.htm#mountsAndRelatedGear).

Other animals may have listed prices in their entry in the various monster manuals or books where they were introduced. For example the Battletitan Dinosaur (MM3, p38) has a cost of "often more than 100,000 gp." Eberron Campaign Setting has prices for various animals on page 121. If no price is listed, it is up to the individual DM to set a price, and even if the creature is available for purchase at all.

Vaern
2012-11-15, 02:23 PM
Q 17
How would a weapon with both the Merciful and the Vicious enchantments work? Since they both grant an untyped damage bonus, would they stack? Or would they be treated as multiple instances of the same bonus type, where only the higher of the two rolls would be added to the weapon's damage?

Q 18
The Merciful enchantment says that all damage dealt by the weapon is nonlethal. Would this apply to damage dealt by other enchantments on the weapon, such as Flaming, Frost, Shock, and Vicious?

Q 18B
If yes, if an enchantment that deals energy damage such as a Flaming enchantment becomes nonlethal, does it retain its energy type for the purpose of energy resistance/immunities?

Q 18C
Would the 1d6 damage that a Vicous weapon deals to is wielder become nonlethal if the Merciful enchantment is added?

(Whoops, my bad with the mis-numbering. Derp.)

mattie_p
2012-11-15, 04:45 PM
Q 16 17: They stack.

Per the SRD, regarding stacking (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/theBasics.htm#stacking):
In most cases, modifiers to a given check or roll stack (combine for a cumulative effect) if they come from different sources and have different types (or no type at all), but do not stack if they have the same type or come from the same source (such as the same spell cast twice in succession).

Not only are vicious and merciful untyped (and additionally come from different sources), they are not modifiers to a roll. They each offer additional dice as bonus damage.

Q 17 18: All damage is non-lethal.

Merciful states that "The weapon deals an extra 1d6 points of damage, and all damage it deals is nonlethal damage." This is not overwritten by the vicious special ability, or any other mentioned special ability.

Q 18B: Yes, it retains its type, even though it is non-lethal damage, as the merciful special ability does nothing to change type of damage (note that it does not affect bludgeoning/piercing/slashing either for DR purposes).

Q 18C: Yes, Vicious damage to the wielder is non-lethal as well, as the vicious special ability does not overwrite merciful's ability that all damage is nonlethal.

Rhaegar14
2012-11-16, 12:54 AM
Q 19

Can a Bard that uses an instrument effectively use a two-handed instrument and a one-handed weapon at the same time? The logical answer is no, but I'm wondering if there's a ruling somewhere that threw them a bone.

Joe Eskimo
2012-11-16, 01:56 AM
Q 20

Using the spellbook rules found in Complete Arcane, could I make a custom spellbook with more than 100 pages per book? Say a book with 200-500 pages?

Joe Eskimo
2012-11-16, 02:19 AM
Q 21

Concerning Blue Ice from Frostburn, it says that any slashing weapon made from blue ice has a +1 enhancement bonus to damage. Adding the masterwork property to it grants it a +1 enhancement bonus on attack rolls. So is a Masterwork Blue Ice Longsword effectively a +1 Longsword since it has a +1 enhancement bonus to both attack and damage despite not being magical?

willpell
2012-11-16, 02:52 AM
A21
If by "is effectively a" you mean "counts as a" for purposes of enhanceability, damage reduction, etc. ...then no. It might function identically, but it doesn't have the "this sword is a magic sword" tag which enables it to do all the things which a +1 sword can do.

Q22
Is there a playable (ie not "LA: --") race of Construct, Ooze or Magical Beast with one or more HD? I'd prefer the LA to be as low as possible, and the HD to be low-ish (somewhere from 3 to 7 or so).
EDIT: Okay, the Aranea is one example. I'd like to know if there are others.
EDIT2: Forgot to specify, it has to be Large or larger.

Ianuagonde
2012-11-16, 05:03 AM
We were hunting for wererats yesterday, and these came up...

Q23 Can you identify a Lycanthrope in human form with Knowledge (local)?

Q24 Can the Heal skill be used to see if someone is infected with lycanthropy?

Curmudgeon
2012-11-16, 05:53 AM
A 23
Becoming a lycanthrope is very much like multiclassing as an animal and gaining the appropriate Hit Dice. You can only identify the Humanoid aspects of the creature with Knowlege (local). One of those aspects is that the creature has the shapechanger subtype. If you exceed the minimum DC required for success on the check by enough multiples of 5, you may discover that.

A 24 No.

The Heal skill may be used to treat the effects of diseases, but AFAIK cannot be used to identify specific diseases affecting a creature.

Andezzar
2012-11-16, 05:53 AM
Q 25

Is the Knowledge DC for identifying a creature that advances with class levels fix or does it increase with class levels.

Q 26

What is the appropriate knowledge skill to identify a humanoid with the dark template?

Q 27

Is there a functional difference between monster and creature?

mishka_shaw
2012-11-16, 09:01 AM
A25: Yes it increases as each class levels gives you an extra HD based upon that class [which counts as one more HD for the check]

A26: None technically. Dark gives you the extraplanar subtype which is not knowledgable as per PHB so you have to go by their race-type. So Dark Goblin would come under humanoids [Nature]. Although a nice DM might allow you knowledge planes for extraplanar.

A27: A creature counts as anything that is not an object (animated objects are creatures) however a monster has no clarification so that is upto the DM. However going by hold monster rulings you could argue that it's anything living..
To put it simply, if it has the ability to roll initiative than it is a creature.
Monster is a bit more flakey though.

Edit: Monster could very well count as everything in the game since the knowledge skill says that you roll against the "monsters HD" and since nearly every creature type is knowledgeable than surely every creature therefore is a monster.

Man on Fire
2012-11-16, 12:23 PM
Q28

Lets say that Shadowdancer, Wizard and Frenzied Berserker runs into opponents. FB goes into Frenzy, Shadowdancer uses his abilities to hide in the shadows and Wizard casts invisibility on himself. Once all opponents are dead neither Wizard or Shadowdancer come out. There is literally nobody around Frenzied Berserker that he can see. Does the Frenzy automatically ends or do they have to wait until it ends normally?

Curmudgeon
2012-11-16, 12:54 PM
A 28
Should she run out of enemies before her frenzy expires, her rampage continues. The frenzy continues until it expires, or the player makes a successful roll to end it.
To end the frenzy before its duration expires, the character may attempt a DC 20 Will save once per round as a free action.

killem2
2012-11-16, 02:22 PM
Q 29: How much strength bonus does a dire boar get to their first natural attack with a strength score of 33?

Andezzar
2012-11-16, 02:29 PM
A 29

Since the Dire Boar only has one natural attack, it gets 1.5 times its STR Bonus rounded down. In case of STR 33 that is 11*1.5=16.5 rounded down 16.

Dark Kerman
2012-11-16, 05:35 PM
Q30

How much gold does a Dread Necromancer start with?

mattie_p
2012-11-16, 08:47 PM
A 30: Ask your DM

In the absence of written guidance in the class description and no errata, the DM must decide starting gold. If you are the DM, I recommend you check other base classes to see what class is "most" similar, then use that. A quick google search indicated sorcerer and bard are popular options.

Melnir
2012-11-17, 06:22 AM
Q 31

Can miser with magic feat (KKPG) be applied by an artificer to a wand?

killem2
2012-11-17, 09:26 AM
Q 32: If a Wizard uses Summon Undead I - V, and a friendly cleric turns undead, what happens?

Andezzar
2012-11-17, 09:35 AM
A 32

Turn Undead has no friend or foe recognition, so the same thing happens to them as to hostile undead.

PetterTomBos
2012-11-17, 10:55 AM
Q-33

If I have a negative dex-score: does it still add (negatively) to AC?

Andezzar
2012-11-17, 11:15 AM
A 33

Yes, and you do not lose that penalty, when you lose your DEX bonus to AC.

Ianuagonde
2012-11-17, 01:50 PM
A 24 No.

The Heal skill may be used to treat the effects of diseases, but AFAIK cannot be used to identify specific diseases affecting a creature.

That's...unexpected. Well, if specific diseases cannot be identified, that makes me wonder...

Q34 Can the Heal skill be used to see if someone is sick, as in, suffering from a disease?

Curmudgeon
2012-11-17, 02:48 PM
Re: Q 31

Kenzer & Company's license with Wizards of the Coast expired in August of 2007, so Kingdoms of Kalamar is an unsupported third party setting and thus your question lies outside the scope of this thread.

Doonesman
2012-11-17, 04:35 PM
Q35

If a cleric loses his holy symbol, can he still cast spells? The item description under Equipment says "focus for his spells" but none of the spells list it as a focus requirement.

mattie_p
2012-11-17, 04:42 PM
A35: Yes, as long as the cleric does not cast a spell that requires a Divine Focus (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm#components).

If the spell requires a divine focus, such as the bless (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/bless.htm) spell, he cannot cast it without the required holy symbol.

Sewercop
2012-11-17, 04:45 PM
Q36

Can you enchant a weapon with stat bonuses?
Say i want a quarterstaff that gives me +2 to inteligence, is that legal.

Wondrous items that don’t match the affinity for a particular body slot should cost 50% more than wondrous items that match the affinity.

So is it legal?

willpell
2012-11-17, 04:55 PM
Q36

Wondrous items that don’t match the affinity for a particular body slot should cost 50% more than wondrous items that match the affinity.

So is it legal?

Not sure on the official answer there, but fyi, a magic weapon isn't a "wondrous item". As far as I know, stat-boosting items MUST occupy a body slot, even if it's not the traditional one. An item held in your hands can't accomplish this, as best I can tell.

Andezzar
2012-11-17, 04:59 PM
Q 37

Could a wizard use minor creation or fabricate or a similar spell to create a holy symbol?

mattie_p
2012-11-17, 05:15 PM
Q36

So is it legal?Not sure on the official answer there, but fyi, a magic weapon isn't a "wondrous item". As far as I know, stat-boosting items MUST occupy a body slot, even if it's not the traditional one. An item held in your hands can't accomplish this, as best I can tell.

A36 clarification: Ioun stones (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#iounStones) are slotless wondrous items, some of which provide an enhancement bonus to statistics (at a +100% cost), and can be sundered (like a weapon). Also, some wondrous items can be used as weapons (see Mattock of the Titans (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#mattockoftheTitans))

I see nothing prohibiting it. However, as with any custom magic item, you must ensure that your DM approves the construction, and assigns the cost (I recommend +100% of a slotted statistic enhancement bonus item).

Vaern
2012-11-17, 06:03 PM
Q 37

Could a wizard use minor creation or fabricate or a similar spell to create a holy symbol?

A 37
Yes.
A holy symbol is just a symbol. Although a holy symbol may be necessary as a focus for a cleric to use certain powers, the symbol itself is a mundane item and is not magical in anyway.

mattie_p
2012-11-17, 06:20 PM
A 37 (Addendum): Note that both spells may require successful craft (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/craft.htm) checks, minor creation in the event of a "complex" item(clarified in the PHB as "Craft (bowmaking) check to make straight arrow shafts"), and fabricate in the event of "articles requiring a high degree of craftsmanship" (clarified in the PHB as jewelry, swords, glass, crystal, and the like.")

Also, despite the clarifications in the spell descriptions, the Craft skill has different levels of complexity. A complex item is a lock with DC 20, a high-quality item such as a bell is DC 15, a typical item such as an iron pot is DC 10. While the holy symbol is not magical, the Craft DC might preclude successful creation/fabrication.

Narse
2012-11-17, 10:32 PM
Q 38

When an NPC character has to make a will save and succeeds against an effect that has no other discernable effect upon the target (such as passing the Chain of Eyes spell effect from one character to another), is that NPC aware that something just happened to him, or is he in any way able to detect that something was abnormal about the contact? Source information supporting the answer would also be appreciated if possible.

Narse
2012-11-17, 10:38 PM
Q 39

Do spells with a verbal component need to be spoken loudly, or can they be spoken softly (specifically a Cleric's divine spells, but curious as to all spells and whether or not there is a distinction between any of the different types)? Any supporting documentation would be appreciated. The best I have been able to figure in support of one way or another is the Cheat spell, which has flavor text in the Spell Compendium that reads:

"You rattle the dice in your hand and mutter the words of the spell, then check your facedown cards again. The two low cards have somehow become trumps."

However, being flavor text, I'm very reluctant to take that as rules discerning the operation mechanics of all spells.

Ammutseba
2012-11-18, 12:13 AM
Q 40

What is the lowest level at which a character can revive (bring back from the dead) a character that died within the last round?

Narse
2012-11-18, 12:27 AM
Q 40

What is the lowest level at which a character can revive (bring back from the dead) a character that died within the last round?

A 40
I think that would be reincarnate, available at level 7 for a Druid, but I may be mistaken.

Sith_Happens
2012-11-18, 12:38 AM
A 38

Yes.

A creature that successfully saves against a spell that has no obvious physical effects feels a hostile force or a tingle, but cannot deduce the exact nature of the attack.

Andezzar
2012-11-18, 01:36 AM
A 39

A verbal component is a spoken incantation. To provide a verbal component, you must be able to speak in a strong voice. A silence spell or a gag spoils the incantation (and thus the spell). A spellcaster who has been deafened has a 20% chance to spoil any spell with a verbal component that he or she tries to cast.
Unfortunately by RAW this does not say that you have to utter the verbal componenent in "a strong voice", you just have to be able to. So unless someone finds a different quote, it is up to the DM how loudly th everbal component must be spoken.

willpell
2012-11-18, 01:39 AM
Q 39

Do spells with a verbal component need to be spoken loudly, or can they be spoken softly?

A39
From the PHB:

Verbal (V): A verbal component is a spoken incantation. To pro-
vide a verbal component, you must be able to speak in a strong voice.

The flavor text of Cheat may imply a contradiction to the RAW, but for the purposes of this thread it isn't binding. If you want to whisper or mumble a spell, your DM will need to approve.

Vaern
2012-11-18, 03:56 AM
A 40
I think that would be reincarnate, available at level 7 for a Druid, but I may be mistaken.
A 40 (Addendum)
Reincarnate has a casting time of 10 minutes.
Off of the top of my head there are a few spells with a casting time 1 standard action which could be used to immediately revive someone who died the previous round.

1) Revivify. It's a 5th level cleric-only spell, so you would need to be at least level 9 to cast it. It brings the target back to live with -1 HP and no level loss, and costs only 1,000 gp in material components. However, it must be cast within one round of the target's death.

2) Last Breath. 4th level druid spell (minimum character level 7). The creature returns to life with 0 hp, loses a level or a hit die (or 1 con, if it's level 1), and has a 50% chance of losing prepared spells or unused spell slots. Like Revivify, this one must be cast within one round of the target's death. This spell has no material component cost

3) Revenance. This one's available as a 4th level cleric spell (minimum character level 7). It brings the target back to life with half of its full HP, no level loss, costs no material components, and the subject gains a +1 morale bonus to all attacks, damage, saving throws, and checks against the creature that killed him. The window of opportunity on this one is a bit larger than than the other two (up to 1 round per level after the target's death).
The catch on Revenance is that it has a duration of 1 minute per caster level, after which the subject dies again. It's particularly fun to leave that last detail out when casting the spell on someone who is not familiar with it.

Note: All of these spells restore the target to life in whatever condition its body is in, like Raise Dead. Missing limbs are not regenerated, and you probably won't be able to cast the spell at all if the the body is too badly damaged.

Sith_Happens
2012-11-18, 04:40 AM
3) Revenance. This one's available as a 4th level cleric spell (minimum character level 7). It brings the target back to life with half of its full HP, no level loss, costs no material components, and the subject gains a +1 morale bonus to all attacks, damage, saving throws, and checks against the creature that killed him. The window of opportunity on this one is a bit larger than than the other two (up to 1 round per level after the target's death).
The catch on Revenance is that it has a duration of 1 minute per caster level, after which the subject dies again. It's particularly fun to combo it with Revivify for a mini True Res.

See bolded above.

Rhaegar14
2012-11-18, 05:36 AM
Q 19

Can a Bard that uses an instrument effectively use a two-handed instrument and a one-handed weapon at the same time? The logical answer is no, but I'm wondering if there's a ruling somewhere that threw them a bone.

Overlooked.

Curmudgeon
2012-11-18, 06:59 AM
A 39

By default, verbal components need to be delivered in a strong voice. However, the game has several options which may alter this.

Sleight of Hand skill use (Races of Stone, page 133):
Check: When casting a spell, you may make a Sleight of Hand check to make your verbal and somatic components less obtrusive, muttering magic words under your breath and making magic gestures within your sleeves.
Conceal Spellcasting skill trick (Complete Scoundrel, page 85)
Disguise Spell feat (Complete Adventurer, page 108)
It certainly looks like the Cheat spell's "fluff" text was written with that Sleight of Hand check in mind, as it's a very good correspondence in the RAW.

Jon_Dahl
2012-11-18, 07:41 AM
Q 41

How does a morningstar work in underwater combat?
What about claws?

Andezzar
2012-11-18, 07:46 AM
By default, verbal components need to be delivered in a strong voice.Is there anything of that matter in the Core books? The sentence willpell and I quoted only says you must be able to deliver the verbal component in a strong voice. It does not say that you actually must do so in a strong voice. I know this totally contradicts RAI but that is what the rules say.

Nasst
2012-11-18, 08:58 AM
Q 42: If I use the spell Gate to call an outsider to inmediately help me in a fight (while the fight is still going on). When does it get its first action? Does it act inmediately after the gate spell was cast? Or does it roll initiative?

Excuse my poor english.

Andezzar
2012-11-18, 09:52 AM
Q 43

Are there ways to reduce or eliminate the XP component of a spell?

qwertyu63
2012-11-18, 12:07 PM
Q44:
If you take the feat Spell Mastery while you have your Int boosted somehow (such as a Headband of Intellect), do you get to select spells based on your boosted Int?

Q45:
What if you take Spell Mastery while under a spell like Fox’s Cunning? Would you get to pick spells for that boost?

DeltaEmil
2012-11-18, 03:08 PM
Q 46

a)
If you have four rogue levels more than the opponent has levels that grant uncanny dodge and improved uncanny dodge, do you negate improved uncanny dodge?
If yes, does the higher-level rogue then gain both the +2 flanking bonus and the ability to deal sneak attack extra precision damage?
Or does the higher-level rogue only get the ability to deal sneak attack extra precision damage?

b)
Do only rogue levels count to determine if you can beat improved uncanny dodge?
What about levels in the arcane trickster, assassin and blackguard prestige class which grant sneak attack? Do levels in spellthief also count?
Does having Assassin's Stance from Tome of Battle somehow affect the number of rogue levels to overcome improved uncanny dodge?

c)
Is the +2 flanking bonus a named bonus? It does not appear in the list of modifiers (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/theBasics.htm#modifierTypes).

Curmudgeon
2012-11-18, 03:21 PM
Re: A 39

Is there anything of that matter in the Core books? The sentence willpell and I quoted only says you must be able to deliver the verbal component in a strong voice. It does not say that you actually must do so in a strong voice. You're in error there. Not only do the rules say you must be able to, you must also do so (Player's Handbook, page 140):
Spell Components: To cast a spell with a verbal (V) component, your character must speak in a firm voice. "Strong" and "firm" are synonyms.
I know this totally contradicts RAI but that is what the rules say. There is no contradiction in what the rules say, and that's all that matters here.

A 44 Yes.

A 45 Ask your DM.
Wizards (and other spellcasters who rely on Intelligence) affected by this spell do not gain any additional bonus spells for the increased Intelligence "Bonus spells" is not a restricted term in D&D, so your DM is within the RAW to decide that additional spells for Spell Mastery count as "bonus spells" if they derive from Fox's Cunning.

A 46 a)

Yes, having 4+ Rogue levels more than your target makes their Improved Uncanny Dodge ineffective; you can flank them, and you gain the usual benefits from doing so.

A 46 b) Yes.
This defense denies another rogue the ability to sneak attack the character by flanking her, unless the attacker has at least four more rogue levels than the target does.
If a character already has uncanny dodge from a second class, the character automatically gains improved uncanny dodge instead, and the levels from the classes that grant uncanny dodge stack to determine the minimum rogue level required to flank the character. Only Rogue class levels matter when opposing Improved Uncanny Dodge, absent any specific language of inclusion. Other classes count for the defensive ability Improved Uncanny Dodge if they grant Uncanny Dodge; they do not enter into the calculation offensively. You list other things that alter sneak attack damage, but which have no impact on opposing Improved Uncanny Dodge.

A 46 c) No.

Flanking provides an untyped bonus. You cannot stack an untyped bonus from the same source (if you could somehow get multiple ways of flanking someone), but it should add normally with any other combination of bonuses and penalties.

Story
2012-11-18, 05:32 PM
Q47

Which spells does a Wizard count as "knowing"? For example, Spontaneous Divination allows spontaneously casting divination spells the Wizard knows. Is this any spell in a spellbook the Wizard currently owns? Any spell they've ever learned, even if they lost a spellbook?

Vaern
2012-11-18, 07:09 PM
Q47

Which spells does a Wizard count as "knowing"? For example, Spontaneous Divination allows spontaneously casting divination spells the Wizard knows. Is this any spell in a spellbook the Wizard currently owns? Any spell they've ever learned, even if they lost a spellbook?

A 47
This is up to the DM to decide.
The description for wizard spellcasting says that they can "know" any number of spells, but it doesn't elaborate on what spells are treated as "known."
I would personally rule that he only "knows" spells which he is able to prepare. Therefore, if he loses his spellbook, he no longer "knows" the spells contained within it.

killem2
2012-11-18, 07:34 PM
Q 41

How does a morningstar work in underwater combat?
What about claws?

A 41: It depends on a few factors.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/wilderness.htm

Scroll down or control + f and put in: Table: Combat Adjustments Underwater

matten17
2012-11-18, 10:44 PM
Q 48

If a creature has a natural weapon attack, does it still provokes an attack of opportunity if it tries to trip an opponent?

If a creature has Improved Unarmed Strike, does it still provokes an attack of opportunity if it tries to trip an opponent?

Piggy Knowles
2012-11-18, 10:47 PM
Q49: Can a character with the Mulhorandi Divine Minion (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mb/20050209a) template take the Lion's Pounce feat, and use the wild shape granted by the template to activate it?

Curmudgeon
2012-11-18, 11:02 PM
A 48 Probably.
Making a Trip Attack

Make an unarmed melee touch attack against your target. This provokes an attack of opportunity from your target as normal for unarmed attacks.
A creature making a melee attack with a natural weapon is considered armed and does not provoke attacks of opportunity. Unless the creature has a natural weapon which is specifically a tripping weapon, it uses an unarmed attack rather than its natural weapons when making a trip attempt. Only a natural weapon attack (such as a Wolf's bite) other than an unarmed strike will normally avoid provoking an AoO when making a trip attempt.

If a creature has Improved Unarmed Strike, the normal behavior is to not provoke AoOs.
Benefit: You are considered to be armed even when unarmed —that is, you do not provoke attacks or opportunity from armed opponents when you attack them while unarmed. Once you have this feat, unarmed attacks (including trip attacks) will not provoke AoOs.

killem2
2012-11-19, 01:17 AM
Q 50: Are any of these: Craft Dorje, Imprint Stone, and Scribe Tattoo, able to be used by a non-psionics?

Vaern
2012-11-19, 02:01 AM
Q 50: Are any of these: Craft Dorje, Imprint Stone, and Scribe Tattoo, able to be used by a non-psionics?
A 50
All three of those feats require a manifester level to learn, so a non-psionic could not obtain or make use of any of them.

RustyNails
2012-11-19, 02:24 AM
Q 51
I DM an elf Ranger who keeps having her horse killed. *cackle* Or left behind exposed while they go dungeon-delving.
Are there any non-magical feats or items that can be used to dismiss the horse to some safe distance, and then call it again, so long as it stays within a mile perhaps, or hearing distance? I know I could just cook up some special whistle or something, but I wanted to see if there was something official.
Maybe I could just have her train it with said whistle to 'come', and as long as it's in ear shot it'll work..?
Still though, looking for official resources.

mishka_shaw
2012-11-19, 05:27 AM
Q 51
I DM an elf Ranger who keeps having her horse killed. *cackle* Or left behind exposed while they go dungeon-delving.
Are there any non-magical feats or items that can be used to dismiss the horse to some safe distance, and then call it again, so long as it stays within a mile perhaps, or hearing distance? I know I could just cook up some special whistle or something, but I wanted to see if there was something official.
Maybe I could just have her train it with said whistle to 'come', and as long as it's in ear shot it'll work..?
Still though, looking for official resources.

A51: She could have magical reins of reduce animal so the horse can come with her into the dungeon. 12,000gp is a permanent one at will but if you make it maybe 2-3 times a day for 3-hours each charge than the price knocks down to maybe 6k. Apart from that I could not find a wondrous item that would do any dismissing or anything.

Q52: Does an empower spell boost the amount of creatures summoned by summon monster/nature's ally. If so would it be 1d4+1 than double the result or is it 2d4+1?

Ianuagonde
2012-11-19, 05:42 AM
Q34 Can the Heal skill be used to see if someone is sick, as in, suffering from a disease?

Overlooked, or unsolvable?

Jon_Dahl
2012-11-19, 06:10 AM
A 41: It depends on a few factors.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/wilderness.htm

Scroll down or control + f and put in: Table: Combat Adjustments Underwater

"None of the above" :smallsmile:

mishka_shaw
2012-11-19, 06:16 AM
A34: Since the heal skill can be used to cure disease and poison [DC is disease DC] than most would argue that it can be used to detect illness too.

edit: Turns out that spell was 3rd edition Oriental Adventures.
Still a DC20 heal check is as close enough to a rule as you could probably find since looking through the complete books, there isn't any validation as to what you need to roll to detect a disease with just heal.

TuggyNE
2012-11-19, 06:31 AM
Q52: Does an empower spell boost the amount of creatures summoned by summon monster/nature's ally. If so would it be 1d4+1 than double the result or is it 2d4+1?

A52 Yes, but since Empower does not double it's trickier to figure out. Technically it would be 1½d4+1, or perhaps 1d4+1d2+1, although that might not be quite accurate. Note that you do not increase the static amount; only "variable, numeric" parts are included, so the +1 remains the same.

Andezzar
2012-11-19, 06:56 AM
Note that you do not increase the static amount; only "variable, numeric" parts are included, so the +1 remains the same.Do you have a quote on the statement that you have to separate static numbers from variable numbers on the same effect? 1d4+1 is still numeric and variable. The SRD only says:"All variable, numeric effects of an empowered spell are increased by one-half." To me empowering results in (1d4+1)*1.5 so between 3 and 7 because of rounding down.

mishka_shaw
2012-11-19, 07:08 AM
A52 Yes, but since Empower does not double it's trickier to figure out. Technically it would be 1½d4+1, or perhaps 1d4+1d2+1, although that might not be quite accurate. Note that you do not increase the static amount; only "variable, numeric" parts are included, so the +1 remains the same.

Whoops yeah forgot it was 50% more. I agree the 1 stays the same since it is not variable (same way that empowered true strike would be +20 and not +30).
Mostly I am curious as to wether I add 50% to whatever I could roll (1d2 in this case) or I roll first than increase my rolled result by 50%.

Cranthis
2012-11-19, 07:37 AM
Q 53 How much does a Tauric belt cost? I can't find it anywhere.

Ianuagonde
2012-11-19, 07:59 AM
A34: Since the heal skill can be used to cure disease and poison [DC is disease DC] than most would argue that it can be used to detect illness too.

As per the detect disease spell..
You can determine the exact disease with a DC 20 Wisdom check. A character with the Heal skill may try a DC 20 Heal check if the Wisdom check fails, or may try the Heal check prior to the Wisdom check.

Without detecting a disease or poison you can still do the same thing but obviously you need to know that the person was diseased to begin with (being bitten should be enough though).
For normal illnesses like colds and the like, it is upto the DM to set the DC.

But this check is only allowed after casting the spell. A spell from the D&D-wiki, no less. I guess there is no clear RAW answer. I'll make a separate thread

Andezzar
2012-11-19, 08:53 AM
Mostly I am curious as to wether I add 50% to whatever I could roll (1d2 in this case) or I roll first than increase my rolled result by 50%.You can only add the 50% after rolling, since you do not know the value of the variable numeric effect yet.

Squark
2012-11-19, 09:56 AM
Q 53 How much does a Tauric belt cost? I can't find it anywhere.

A 53: It's an artifact; It doesn't have a set cost, lest artificers try to make it. If your DM wants you to acquire one, what percentage of your characters WBL it should count as isn't a hard and fast rule. What it would sell for is likewise entirely via GM discretion.

Q 54: When making attacks of opportunity against a prone opponent standing up, do you get the +4 bonus to attack?

mattie_p
2012-11-19, 10:03 AM
A 54: Yes. Attacks of Opportunity take place when the provoker initiates the action, not when they complete it. The attacker gets the attack bonus against a prone opponent.

willpell
2012-11-19, 11:15 AM
Q55
According to printed text in the Monster Manual 1, while Plant creatures are not subject to critical hits (which, correct me if I'm wrong, also means they ignore Sneak Attack), they can be flanked for the to-hit bonus. Does this remain true or has it been errata'ed?

Duke of Urrel
2012-11-19, 11:26 AM
Q 42: If I use the spell Gate to call an outsider to inmediately help me in a fight (while the fight is still going on). When does it get its first action? Does it act inmediately after the gate spell was cast? Or does it roll initiative?

I've taken the liberty of re-posting this, because I'm interested in the answer to this question, if there is one that can be found in (or deduced from) the RAW.

Squark
2012-11-19, 12:03 PM
Q55
According to printed text in the Monster Manual 1, while Plant creatures are not subject to critical hits (which, correct me if I'm wrong, also means they ignore Sneak Attack), they can be flanked for the to-hit bonus. Does this remain true or has it been errata'ed?

A55: Flanking has relation to immunity to critical hits- Flanking is based around a tactical inability to defend from multiple angles, while immunity to critical hits is due to a lack of especially vulnerable parts.

killem2
2012-11-19, 12:44 PM
Q 56: If a Level 2 ranger/ Level 5 scout, with rapid shot, and a splitting bow, activates his skirmish ability, will he apply his skirmish damage to each of these arrows?

KillianHawkeye
2012-11-19, 05:01 PM
A55: Flanking has relation to immunity to critical hits- Flanking is based around a tactical inability to defend from multiple angles, while immunity to critical hits is due to a lack of especially vulnerable parts.

Re: 55

That's right, they have nothing to do with each other. You can flank anything (except certain creatures with specific exceptions), including Plants, Constructs, Oozes, Elementals and Undead. Flanking will not trigger Sneak Attack against these creatures because they are immune, but you still get the bonus.

Necroticplague
2012-11-19, 08:39 PM
Q57:
Does having something as something count as the second something when qualifying for PRCs? Because of that odd wording, I'll try using a couple examples.

ex1:Can a Divine Minion qualify for Master of Many Forms, because it's fast wildshape is "as an 11th-level druid", thus allowing it to satisfy the requirements even though the ability is from a template?

ex2:Would having haste as an SLA make you able to enter Swiftblade, since SLAs are "as the spell".

Curmudgeon
2012-11-19, 08:56 PM
A 57 Usually no.
Special: Wild shape class feature. Fast Wild Shape as a template feature is not Wild Shape as a class feature, on two counts.
Spellcasting: Ability to cast haste. Spell-like abilities are not cast, so this one fails the requirement as well.
Some creatures are actually sorcerers of a sort. They cast arcane spells as sorcerers do, using components when required. In fact, an individual creature could have some spell-like abilities and also cast other spells as a sorcerer.

mattie_p
2012-11-19, 09:11 PM
A57: clarification Complete Arcane, p72 states :
For example, a prestige class with a spellcasting requirement of “Must know (or be able to cast) darkness” is met by a warlock who chooses darkness as one of her invocations, or by any creature with darkness as a spell-like ability.

Your haste SLA might have difficulty with "Special: Must have spent the entire previous level using all 3rd level spell slots to exclusively cast haste," though.

RustyNails
2012-11-19, 10:25 PM
Q 58

This has probably been asked to death, but what do you DM's do with Divine Metamagic in this particular regard: Persistent Spell costs a spell slot 6 levels higher than the spell you are going to persist. If the player doesn't have access yet to spell slots that high, do you let them Persist spells anyways?
Do you allow them to simply burn up the necessary Turn Attempts, or do you enforce that they must have attained high enough spell slots before being allowed to burn up the Turn Attempts?

KillianHawkeye
2012-11-19, 10:29 PM
A 58

Divine Metamagic says nothing about having a high enough level spell slot to normally apply the metamagic feat in question. You are adding a requirement where none exists.

Keegan__D
2012-11-20, 12:04 AM
Q 59: Say I've got the Knockback feat, 30ft of reach (spiked chain), and enough attacks of opportunity. If I hit someone, can I knock them back, and hit them for moving? Could I do it again and again?

Q 60: If I use Knockback, is there a limit to which square I can knock my foe into?

Knockback: Races of Stone

DeltaEmil
2012-11-20, 12:25 AM
A 59

You do not get to make Attacks of Opportunity against the one you pushed back.

A 60

The limit to which square you can knock your opponent is the strength check difference by which you beat him. Another limit is any kind of terrain that blocks the forced movement (like a wall or similar obstacle) or ends it (like a hole). Unless you have the Dungeoncrasher Alternate Class Feature from Dungeonscape or anything similar to that, the enemy would then be unharmed when his movement ends at the wall. If the defender is bull rushed over a pit, his movement also ends, and the defender then falls down, possibly taking falling damage.

Keegan__D
2012-11-20, 01:05 AM
Q 61?
I think question 60 was unclear. I've included pictures this time. Can I move a foe from square A to square B? Can I move a foe from square B to square C?

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e4/kamekazibum/aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa-1.png

Curmudgeon
2012-11-20, 01:55 AM
A 61 No.
I think question 60 was unclear. I've included pictures this time. Can I move a foe from square A to square B? Can I move a foe from square B to square C?

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e4/kamekazibum/aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa-1.png
Knockback lets you make a bull rush maneuver with your weapon. Even though you do not move into the enemy's space, their movement is still limited to bull rush movement: just backward (away from you and your weapon). You don't get to slide them willy-nilly around the battlefield.

willpell
2012-11-20, 02:08 AM

Assuming you meant to say "Flanking has no relation", that's what I thought.

Re: 55
That's right, they have nothing to do with each other. You can flank anything (except certain creatures with specific exceptions), including Plants, Constructs, Oozes, Elementals and Undead.

Lest there be misinformation, I will correct you: The monster manual definitions of creature types Ooze and Elemental specifically say "Not subject to flanking or critical hits". The reason for my question was that Plants, along with Constructs and Undead (I think, I'd have to check those two but they both tend to have faces so I'd assume), simply say "Not subject to critical hits" and do not mention flanking.

RustyNails
2012-11-20, 02:37 AM
A 58

Divine Metamagic says nothing about having a high enough level spell slot to normally apply the metamagic feat in question. You are adding a requirement where none exists.

Sure, but the Persistent Spell Feat does!!

" A persistent spell uses up a spell slot six levels higher than the spell’s actual level.
"
So now what...?

Andezzar
2012-11-20, 02:40 AM
DMM says that the spell does not require/fill a higher level slot. So you would not need one. You would need 7 turn undead attempts though.

You could not normally persist a spell if you did not have the appropriate slot, but with DMM you only need a slot of the unmodified spell, which you obviously have.

Oh and persistent spell (and all other metamagic feats) do not require you to have higher level slots, you just have to prepare the metamagicked spells in the appropriate (higher) slot.

Keegan__D
2012-11-20, 05:10 AM
A 61 No.
Knockback lets you make a bull rush maneuver with your weapon. Even though you do not move into the enemy's space, their movement is still limited to bull rush movement: just backward (away from you and your weapon). You don't get to slide them willy-nilly around the battlefield.

So, is C to A possible? It's still away, just not directly so.

Curmudgeon
2012-11-20, 06:09 AM
Re: A 61 No.
So, is C to A possible? It's still away, just not directly so.
No. Straight back is the only direction possible.
Bull Rush

You can make a bull rush as a standard action (an attack) or as part of a charge. When you make a bull rush, you attempt to push an opponent straight back instead of damaging him. You can only bull rush an opponent who is one size category larger than you, the same size, or smaller.

Archmage1
2012-11-20, 02:12 PM
Q62 If a character has Glibness active, and enters a globe of invulnerability, is the spell suppressed?

TuggyNE
2012-11-20, 04:17 PM
Q62 If a character has Glibness active, and enters a globe of invulnerability, is the spell suppressed?

A62 From the description of lesser globe of invulnerability: "Spells of 4th level and higher are not affected by the globe, nor are spells already in effect when the globe is cast." Since globe of invulnerability is based on lesser, no, the spell would not be suppressed.

mattie_p
2012-11-20, 04:35 PM
A62 Dissent: Glibness is a 3rd Level Bard spell (Commerce and Treachery, I believe, gain it as a Cleric 4th level spell).

Per Lesser Globe (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/globeOfInvulnerabilityLesser.htm):
An immobile, faintly shimmering magical sphere surrounds you and excludes all spell effects of 3rd level or lower. ... Spells of 4th level and higher are not affected by the globe, nor are spells already in effect when the globe is cast.

Note that spell effects are not disrupted unless their effects enter the globe, and even then they are merely suppressed, not dispelled.

So a Bard glibness (barring shenanigans) would be suppressed should it enter a lesser globe. (If the globe were cast and included someone with glibness, the glibness would not be suppressed.)

Globe of Invulnerability (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/globeOfInvulnerability.htm):
This spell functions like lesser globe of invulnerability, except that it also excludes 4th-level spells and spell-like effects.

So even clerical glibness is suppressed inside a Globe of Invulnerability spell.

The Redwolf
2012-11-20, 06:00 PM
Question 63:
Where can I find information about the Scorpion's Grasp feat? A link or description would be nice if possible.

mattie_p
2012-11-20, 06:22 PM
A 63: This feat is found in Sandstorm, page 52.

A general description is that it gives creatures who take that feat the Improved Grab (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#improvedGrab) special ability. Sandstorm contains no Open Game content, so posting a hyperlink to the material is against forum rules.

The Redwolf
2012-11-20, 08:53 PM
Would it be possible for you to tell me the requirements for the feat, if there are any?

TuggyNE
2012-11-20, 09:22 PM
A62 Dissent: Glibness is a 3rd Level Bard spell (Commerce and Treachery, I believe, gain it as a Cleric 4th level spell).

Per Lesser Globe (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/globeOfInvulnerabilityLesser.htm):

So a Bard glibness (barring shenanigans) would be suppressed should it enter a lesser globe. (If the globe were cast and included someone with glibness, the glibness would not be suppressed.)

A62 defense In this case I believe "enter" refers to the spell's area of effect: if a spell is cast such that its effect enters the globe at the time of casting, it is suppressed. (I.e., it acts to clarify corner cases of the earlier clause "The area or effect of any such spells does not include the area of the lesser globe of invulnerability.")

The alternative reading implies that someone with glibness active on them within the area of lesser globe of invulnerability as it is cast who leaves and then reenters within the duration would have glibness suppressed after reentering, which seems contrary to the intent of "You can leave and return to the globe without penalty", not to mention counter-intuitive.

mattie_p
2012-11-20, 09:24 PM
Would it be possible for you to tell me the requirements for the feat, if there are any?

I believe so. Prerequisites: Str 13, Improved Unarmed Strike, Improved Grapple.

Please see the forum rules (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/announcement.php?f=59&a=1) (linked on every page), particularly the section on copyrighted content. I do try to play it safe.

The Redwolf
2012-11-20, 09:29 PM
I've read through them, I wasn't sure how strict it was, as in if you could describe it without linking it without violating the rules. I figured you could but wasn't sure, so thank you, you just made things a lot more awesome for me. :smallbiggrin:

mattie_p
2012-11-20, 09:55 PM
A62 Rebuttal

In this particular case referenced, glibness has a range of personal, meaning only the caster is affected. It has no range that extends beyond the creature who cast the spell. So if the glib creature is within the area (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm#area) of the globe at the time of casting, the glibness is not suppressed. If the glib creature is outside of the globe and then enters, the glibness is suppressed.

Regarding leaving and re-entering. If there is a character who can cast both globe of invulnerability and glibness, who then casts globe, leaves the area of effect, casts glibness, and then re-enters the globe, the glibness remains in effect, per the clause that "You (meaning the caster) can leave and return to the globe without penalty."

Other creatures have no exemption. So a bard ally of the wizard (or whomever) casting the globe, casts glibness (and has it active) and is within the globe at the time of its casting, leaves the globe. If the bard re-enters the globe, his glibness is then suppressed. Globe has no "memory" of spells or effects within its area, with the exemption of the caster, who can leave, cast spells, and re-enter without penalty.

EDIT: regarding "simultaneity."

In this case I believe "enter" refers to the spell's area of effect: if a spell is cast such that its effect enters the globe at the time of casting, it is suppressed. (I.e., it acts to clarify corner cases of the earlier clause "The area or effect of any such spells does not include the area of the lesser globe of invulnerability.")

The text in the SRD states:

An immobile, faintly shimmering magical sphere surrounds you and excludes all spell effects of 3rd level or lower. The area or effect of any such spells does not include the area of the lesser globe of invulnerability. Such spells fail to affect any target located within the globe. Excluded effects include spell-like abilities and spells or spell-like effects from items. However, any type of spell can be cast through or out of the magical globe. Spells of 4th level and higher are not affected by the globe, nor are spells already in effect when the globe is cast. The globe can be brought down by a targeted dispel magic spell, but not by an area dispel magic. You can leave and return to the globe without

Spells already in effect are not affected (this is explicit in the spell effects). The first three sentences refer to spell or spell-like-effects generated after the globe is cast. So a fireball spell cast into the vicinity of a globe would not affect anything inside the globe. A magic missile spell, targeting someone inside the globe, has no effect.

DeltaEmil
2012-11-20, 10:12 PM
Q 64
Suppose you do not have any levels in paladin.

a)
Does the holy avenger grant you SR 5 and the ability to use greater dispel magic with a caster level of 0?

b)
Could you use the skill Use Magic Device to emulate paladin levels?

Andezzar
2012-11-21, 01:56 AM
A 64

a) Unclear. On the one hand the weapon is a +2 cold iron longsword unless wielded by a paladin which obviously does not grant SR, on the other hand the additional abilities (SR, Greater Dispel Magic as Standard Action) do not explicitly require paladin levels.

b) No. With UMD you can only emulate class features of certain class level, you cannot emulate having class levels.

Curmudgeon
2012-11-21, 02:59 AM
A 64 b) dissent
b) No. With UMD you can only emulate class features of certain class level, you cannot emulate having class levels.
The requirement for the extra benefits of a Holy Avenger is not "having class levels in Paladin".
This +2 cold iron longsword becomes a +5 holy cold iron longsword in the hands of a paladin. There's a class ability which will adequately cover that specific item activation requirement: Lay on Hands. Use Magic Device will allow you to emulate that ability with an adequate check, repeated for each use.

TuggyNE
2012-11-21, 05:12 AM
A62 Rebuttal
[...]
Spells already in effect are not affected (this is explicit in the spell effects). The first three sentences refer to spell or spell-like-effects generated after the globe is cast. So a fireball spell cast into the vicinity of a globe would not affect anything inside the globe. A magic missile spell, targeting someone inside the globe, has no effect.

A62 response You've ... not actually rebutted anything, only restated your position. My previous statement regarding the meaning of "enter" (that it refers to spell area/effect when cast with a globe in effect, rather than to existing effects whose targets move into a globe) remains unanswered.

However, I think this should go to a new thread.

Zombimode
2012-11-21, 05:32 AM
Q 65

I'm a bit unclear on how multiple poisonings work.
Example:
A creature gets bitten by a Monstrous Spider, fails its safe against the poison, takes the ability damage.
Next round, the creature gets bitten by the spider and fails its save again.

What happens?

Togath
2012-11-21, 07:12 AM
Q66
does the body of the bird summoned by the vestige Malphas remain after it's slain? And do I need to kill it to resummon a new one?

Andezzar
2012-11-21, 09:41 AM
A 64 b) dissent
The requirement for the extra benefits of a Holy Avenger is not "having class levels in Paladin".Not explicitly, but the rules do require the wielder to be a Paladin. If that does not mean having levels in that class I do not know what it means.

There's a class ability which will adequately cover that specific item activation requirement: Lay on Hands. Use Magic Device will allow you to emulate that ability with an adequate check, repeated for each use.I disagree. Being able to heal with a touch has nothing to do with the fact that the sword needs to be in the hands of an actual paladin. The rules for Holy Avenger do not remove the paladin's ability to get the better functionality if for some reason he is not able to heal with a touch (ACF or being Level 1) either. Lay on hands is completely irrelevant to whether the sword is in the hands of a paladin.

A 65

What's unclear about poison? Unless the creature's description says it can only use poison a limited number of times, the target gets another dose and saves against it in the usual manner. The seondary damage from each attack also is resolved separately.

CardCaptor
2012-11-21, 10:31 AM
Q 67: Do Spirit Shamans, as Spontaneous casters, qualify for the Ashbound feat?

leden
2012-11-21, 01:35 PM
Q67: Can I command a summoned Celestial Badger to use rage or does it need to be hit first?

Curmudgeon
2012-11-21, 01:39 PM
Re: A 64 b)
Being able to heal with a touch has nothing to do with the fact that the sword needs to be in the hands of an actual paladin.
If being an actual Paladin were the requirement, there's still a check for that; see below. However, with Use Magic Device you can emulate an ability specific to having the hands of a actual Paladin. If you're successful, the sword activates its additional functions accordingly.

You're correct that being able to heal with a touch is not required. And, in fact, you're neither trying to nor capable of doing so. You're merely using a skill to get a magic device to activate.

There's also the DC 40 Emulate a Specific Individual check (see Dragon # 329, page 67). Since that establishes that you can use UMD to activate even a major artifact keyed to a specific individual, you can certainly use UMD to activate a Holy Avenger if you emulate a specific someone with (lots of) Paladin levels. The issue is then only what the minimum DC requirement is for activating a Holy Avenger.

Assuming Emulate a Class Feature will work, you'll get negligible benefits at low DCs. A check result of 24 will give you SR of 9 and a dispel check of 1d20+2, and a check result of 39 will give you SR of 24 and a dispel check of 1d20+9. Assuming Emulate a Specific Individual is required, a check result of 40 will give you benefits limited only by your knowledge of individuals with Paladin levels. If you know an Epic level 40 Paladin, you'll get SR 45 and a dispel check of 1d20+20.

Andezzar
2012-11-21, 02:39 PM
Re: A 64 B

However, with Use Magic Device you can emulate an ability specific to having the hands of a actual Paladin.Can you provide a quote for that? At least in the SRD I did not find the option to emulate body parts. Having the hands of a paladin is not on any class's feature list.

I was not aware of the option from Dragon Magazine. That would indeed work.

You are right that using UMD does not give a great benefits to the special abilities (Greater Dispel Magic, SR), but turning the +2 Cold Iron Longsword into a +5 Holy Cold Iron Longsword would be a great benefit if you could UMD a Holy Avenger.

Q 68

Would a Holy Avenger work for the alternate Paladins (of Freedom, Tyranny or Slaughter) from Unearthed Arcana?

Curmudgeon
2012-11-21, 03:32 PM
A 68 Yes.

Those variants still have the Paladin name, so they're sufficient to the item requirements -- even the Paladin of Slaughter, with alignment diametrically opposed to the standard Paladin's.

Duke of Urrel
2012-11-21, 03:41 PM
Q 42

I'm still interested to know: If you call a creature using the Gate spell (or any other Calling or Summoning spell, for that matter), when exactly does it appear? Does it make its own initiative check or act immediately at the end of your turn? Or must we invent a house rule?

Q 69

If two or more characters use the Aid Another action to help the same comrade, do they add two or more +2 bonuses that stack with each other to the comrade's AC, next attack roll, or skill check? Or is this kind of collaboration pointless, because the bonuses don't stack?

Curmudgeon
2012-11-21, 03:59 PM
A 42

Called creatures are physically present on the plane they are called to and have their own initiative. The called creature would be flat-footed until it acted in combat.

A 69 Yes.

See here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm#aidAnother):
Multiple characters can aid the same friend, and similar bonuses stack.

killem2
2012-11-21, 06:51 PM
Q 70: How many attacks can a 16hd Outsider with 6 arms with multiweapon fighting, make in a full attack action.

docnessuno
2012-11-21, 07:09 PM
A 70

9, assuming he uses one 1h weaon and five offhand weapons, has no natural attacks or other sources of bonus attacks and only has the multiweapon fighting feat without other feats of the tree.

Main hand: +14/+9/+4/-1
5 offhand: +14/+14/+14/+14/+14

mattie_p
2012-11-21, 07:10 PM
A 70: Nine. This outsider would get six (one per arm, assuming a weapon in each hand) + 3 (iterative attacks on primary hand - outsiders (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#outsiderType) get good BAB as a fighter by type). This assumes no feats such as Improved Multiweapon fighting and no natural attacks.

Pandyman
2012-11-21, 11:38 PM
Q 71: Does the Skillful weapon enhancement from Complete arcane negate size penalties incurred from the Sizing weapon enhancement in the Magic Item Compendium?

Curmudgeon
2012-11-22, 12:31 AM
A 71 No.
Highly prized by many arcane spellcasters, a skillful weapon can be wielded without penalty by a character not normally proficient with it. The only penalty negated is that due to lack of proficiency.

mishka_shaw
2012-11-22, 05:36 AM
Q72: Probably staring me in the face but can a Barbarian/Frenzied Beserker have both their Frenzy and their Rage active at the same time?

mattie_p
2012-11-22, 06:39 AM
A 72: Yes. "The effects of frenzy stack with those from any rage ability the character may have." Last sentence of first paragraph on Frenzy.

Burnicle
2012-11-22, 07:35 AM
if a druid drinks a potion of enlarge person and then casts Shillelagh on his club what damages does the club deal?

Enlarge person states that "Multiple magical effects that increase size do not stack" but Shililagh states "It deals damage as if it were two size categories larger" and the "as if" Is confusing me!

Proud Tortoise
2012-11-22, 09:55 AM
I'm confused about the wealth/level guidelines and how they relate to items.

If, for instance, a PC owns a hand of the mage, does it count toward their wealth as 900 gold (the price to buy in a store) or 450 gold (the price at which one can sell it)?

KillianHawkeye
2012-11-22, 10:18 AM
I'm confused about the wealth/level guidelines and how they relate to items.

If, for instance, a PC owns a hand of the mage, does it count toward their wealth as 900 gold (the price to buy in a store) or 450 gold (the price at which one can sell it)?

It has the market value (the price needed to buy it), although if it is crafted by the character themselves or by a fellow party member, the DM may allow you to value it at its crafting cost.

Also, don't forget to number your questions, people!

Andezzar
2012-11-22, 10:23 AM
if a druid drinks a potion of enlarge person and then casts Shillelagh on his club what damages does the club deal?

Enlarge person states that "Multiple magical effects that increase size do not stack" but Shililagh states "It deals damage as if it were two size categories larger" and the "as if" Is confusing me!The "as if" means that only the base damage is modified and the stick does not actually become larger. You do not get extra reach either.

A medium creature that is Enlarged and has Shillelagh cast on its club/quarterstaff, would become Large and wield a Large club/quarterstaff that does
the damage of a gargantuam club/quarterstaff. The creature has a reach of 10 ft. as is normal for a Large creature.

leden
2012-11-22, 11:19 AM
Q67: Can I command a summoned Celestial Badger to use rage or does it need to be hit first?

Can anybody answer this? :smallredface:

mishka_shaw
2012-11-22, 11:29 AM
Can anybody answer this? :smallredface:

A67: Although named the same as the Barbarian equivelant it cannot voluntarily rage. It states that the creatures needs to take damage to rage.
Unless you command the creature to bite itself or something similar it will not rage even when commanded/dominated.

Andezzar
2012-11-22, 11:36 AM
A67: Although named the same as the Barbarian equivelant it cannot voluntarily rage. It states that the creatures needs to take damage to rage.
Unless you command the creature to bite itself or something similar it will not rage even when commanded/dominated.Actually this is not true. The description says that if injured the badger starts to rage. It does not say that the badger cannot activate the rage voluntarily but odes not give a required action for it either, it only states that the badger cannot end the rage voluntarily.

Necroticplague
2012-11-22, 11:43 AM
Q73:Can the base creature of a lycanthrope have a template? Alternate Form states that it cannot be used to take the form of a creature with a template, but the lycanthrope text does not have this restriction to the base creature.
Does this mean you can be a were-(creature with template), you just wouldn't actually be able to turn into it?

KillianHawkeye
2012-11-22, 12:17 PM
A 73

Sure, the base creature can have a template, as long as it is one that does not change its creature type to something other than Humanoid or Giant (the only types which can be affected by Lycanthropy).

Note that the lycanthrope's animal form does not inherit this template, and is normal for whatever animal the character changes into.

CardCaptor
2012-11-22, 05:16 PM
Q 74 Do Spirit Shamans, as Spontaneous spellcasters, qualify for the Ashbound feat?

Cog
2012-11-22, 05:37 PM
A 67 continued

Actually this is not true. The description says that if injured the badger starts to rage. It does not say that the badger cannot activate the rage voluntarily but odes not give a required action for it either, it only states that the badger cannot end the rage voluntarily.
The rules don't give an activation time for a Fighter to rage, nor is a Fighter's rage limited to only +4 Str...

A badger is given no ability to rage voluntarily, and so does not have one.

A 74
They can select the feat. On any day in which they don't select some iteration of Summon Nature's Ally as one of their daily spells, they do not qualify for the feat, and lose access to its benefits; should they then select one the next day, they regain access.

Necroticplague
2012-11-22, 09:54 PM
Q75 (follow up to 73): Can the base animal of a lycanthrope have a template applied to it?

Q76 (follow up to 75): Can it be advanced to a larger size (and thus better stats) by giving it more HD, as long as it stays within size restrictions?

Artillery
2012-11-22, 11:00 PM
Q77. Can a +2 Weapon be changed into a +1 Weapon with a special ability, such as flaming or defending?

Curmudgeon
2012-11-22, 11:16 PM
A 75 No.

That's a limitation inherent in the Alternate Form special ability, which is what you get with the Lycanthrope template.
A creature cannot use alternate form to take the form of a creature with a template.
A 76 Probably not, but ask your DM.

All lycanthropes are subject to DM approval. As you noted, a lycanthrope based on an advanced animal would still be required to be within the size restrictions. The basic problem with a DM allowing such an advanced animal form is that the character would be promoted by an even greater amount past their fellow PCs, and creating encounters that would work with a greatly mismatched party is either tough or impossible.

A 77 No.

Weapons can be upgraded, but not downgraded.

Togath
2012-11-23, 01:19 AM
Q66
does the body of the bird summoned by the vestige Malphas remain after it's slain? And do I need to kill it to resummon a new one?

bumping this, since it got buried last page.
I'm mostly trying to figure out if the birds act like creatures summoned by summon monster spells or not, and if I need to worry about my character leaving evidence behind(he's trying to become essentially a phantom thief)

Big_Joe
2012-11-23, 01:15 PM
Q 78

Are there any informations about how to make (craft) poison? i couldnt find any further information except things like the types or some example poisons. Complete Scoundrel have some craft dcs so iam sure there have to be a way to craft these things...

Thanks in advance

Artillery
2012-11-23, 05:05 PM
A78 Complete Adventurer has Craft(Poisonmaking), it has the table for crafting DC and rate you can craft it.
I would also recommend looking at "A Poisoners Handbook", it has other poisons with there crafting or harvesting DC.

Q79 With a weapon that does multiple damage types; Morningstar, dagger, etc; Do you need to specify what damage type your doing or does it do both types of damage.

This is for weapons that have a single damage die used, not weapons like Gnome Hooked Hammer.

Andezzar
2012-11-23, 05:24 PM
A 79

That depends whether a weapon does either damage type or whether it does both. The morningstar does both bludgeoning and piercing damage, with the dagger the wielder has the choice of doing either slashing or piercing damage.

AxeD
2012-11-24, 12:29 AM
Q80:

How long does a Factotum's inspiration points last for? I assume that they last beyond the encounter, but is there a time limit of how long they last for? ie, 1 hour, the next time you rest, 24 hours, etc.

Q81:

When a Factotum enters into a new encounter, they receive inspiration points, do these stack with any inspiration points not previously expended or does it replace any previously held points? For balance's sake (so you can't accrue 100 points at low levels and then sneak attack for 100d6 damage) I'd argue/infer that it resets when you enter a new encounter and you lose any currently held.

Q82:

What qualifies as an encounter, for the purposes of gaining inspiration points? A level appropriate encounter? Punching a NPC? I mean, traps have a challenger rating, do they qualify? Again, I assume that if you'd get XP from the 'encounter' it would count as an encounter.

Artillery
2012-11-24, 01:02 AM
A80 Your inspiration points last until your next encounter.

When playing a factotum (Du14), what happens to
inspiration points unspent at the end of the encounter? Unspent inspiration points are replaced when the factotum returns to his full number of points once an encounter ends.

A81 A factotum enters an encounter with all of his inspiration points, at the end of an encounter he regains his spent inspiration points. You have a cap on your max inspiration points, the inspiration points given by your factotum level and if you have taken it Font of Inspiration (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frcc/20070606).

A82 This quote says it well.

An “encounter” is more than a combat, but it also includes any other significant event in the game such as stopping to bash down a door, navigating a rickety bridge, or dealing with a trap. If the characters have a minute or two to catch their breath and rest, assume that the last encounter has ended and all per encounter abilities refresh

Wizards FAQs (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/er/20030221a)

CowMasterTrojan
2012-11-24, 03:46 AM
Q83: I swear there was a spell that allowed you to basically become invisible for one round as a swift action, but I cannot find it. Does anyone know this spell or did I imagine it? If yes, where is it from?

Ianuagonde
2012-11-24, 04:01 AM
A83 The Swift Invisibilty spell is found in the Spell Compendium.

Curmudgeon
2012-11-24, 06:18 AM
Re: A 82

This quote says it well. Actually, from a RAW standpoint, that quote says nothing at all. You can't "assume" something that's not written in the rules. The Dungeon Master's Guide has a STARTING AN ENCOUNTER section on page 22, but doesn't have any rules regarding ending an encounter.

Officially, an encounter ends:

when the DM says it ends; or
when a new encounter begins.
Anything else is somebody's house rule.

Kefkafreak
2012-11-24, 10:23 PM
Q84 What happens if a cleric becomes a deity? Does he still get his powers from another deity? What if the cleric has a higher divine rank?

killem2
2012-11-24, 10:49 PM
Q 85: Does an Energy Bow scale with size? Like if a large sized creature bought one for his/her scale would it do 3d6 force arrow damage?

Curmudgeon
2012-11-25, 04:14 AM
A 85 No.

Hank’s Energy Bow is a specific magic weapon. It's sized only for Hank. A weapon of a different size would be a custom magic item, and it would behave whichever way the individual DM who permitted it wanted it to behave. The cost for such a custom item would also be at the whim of the individual DM.

Lateral
2012-11-25, 01:33 PM
Q 86

Are there rules for bull rushing objects?

Mookie1171
2012-11-25, 06:01 PM
Q87

I want to know where is a site where people post their completed characters/character sheets that I can access and look at others' sheets? I assume something like this must exist somewhere because there are thousands of people playing d&d 3.5 constantly making new characters and some must upload the information to the internet. I'm just not sure which terms to use to search for it. Specifically, I'm NOT looking for general character builds like for example Factotum 8/Chameleon 10/Swordsage 2. I'm instead asking if there's somewhere where people who have completely filled out a character sheet with a character they've played as or plan to play as complete with skill points, inventory, equipment, special defenses, etc. all filled out in detail.

I want to see a big list of hundreds or even thousands of character sheets like this I can look at character sheets that people have made of characters so I can look over it myself to get ideas for my characters equipment/inventory/feats/alt character options/etc and steal tidbits of ideas or even whole characters. It's one thing to look at a handbook and get some good ideas, but it's generally easier to look at a completed character sheet with everything filled out and see that. Most example builds I see posted on forums just include a general level progression with maybe feats, but don't include skill points/inventory/equipment specifically at the specific level the character is at and it is that kind of information that I am looking for and want to know where to find. Thanks.

mattie_p
2012-11-25, 06:05 PM
A 87: This is not a RAW question.

There are several sites that offer character sheet hosting, but I am unaware of any links to "hundreds or even thousands of character sheets." I invite you to create a new thread so that people can voluntarily post links to their own sheets. Or you can lurk in the IC/OOC threads (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3) in this forum to find links to publicly posted sheets.

Squark
2012-11-25, 06:40 PM
Q 88: Where does a character who falls unconscious in the middle of their move action due to an attack of opportunity putting them into negative hit points end up? The square they were about to move into, or the square they began the movement from (Or, if they've already moved part way, the square they were in before the provoked the attack of opportunity).

Curmudgeon
2012-11-25, 06:44 PM
A 86 No.

Bull Rush is a combat maneuver designed to briefly overpower an enemy and force them to yield ground. Objects have no combat power. Your ability to move (carry, drag, push) objects is based on your Strength and the environment. See the Carrying Capacity information here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsAndServices.htm#toolMasterwork), and also in Player's Handbook on page 162.

A 88

Attacks of opportunity preempt the provoking action, so the unconscious character remains in their previous square (which could be partway through their intended movement).

Douglas
2012-11-25, 07:54 PM
A 87: This is not a RAW question.

There are several sites that offer character sheet hosting, but I am unaware of any links to "hundreds or even thousands of character sheets." I invite you to create a new thread so that people can voluntarily post links to their own sheets. Or you can lurk in the IC/OOC threads (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3) in this forum to find links to publicly posted sheets.
The two major hosting sites I am aware of are thetangledweb.net and myth-weavers.com. While neither of them has a general index of all the sheets they host for anyone to look through, the addresses to specific sheets do follow an easily predictable pattern.

Try sticking a random number up to around 50000 on the end of http://www.thetangledweb.net/forums/profiler/view_char.php?cid=, or a random number up to around 430000 on the end of http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=. For example, http://www.thetangledweb.net/forums/profiler/view_char.php?cid=1, http://www.thetangledweb.net/forums/profiler/view_char.php?cid=51324, http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=80000, http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=430000. Whether the sheet specified by the number is public, or even still exists, will be random, and many of them will be incomplete, use systems other than D&D, or use house rules that are not described on the sheet itself, but you can always just pick another number. I doubt you will ever run out.

Thurbane
2012-11-26, 01:54 AM
Q 089

Possible more of a RAI question that RAW, but anyway...
If the players fight an enemy with the Wild Cohort (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a) feat, does the Cohort count towards XP for the encounter, or is included with the master at no extra XP that same way that a familiar or animal companion is?

mishka_shaw
2012-11-26, 06:25 AM
Q 90: If I stand next to a caster and ready an action to distract them on spell-cast can they just 5ft step away and cast anyway?

Q 91: Is polymorph limited to no more than one larger than your normal size as per alter self?

Sith_Happens
2012-11-26, 08:48 AM
Q 92

Does exiting a threatened square during a fall provoke an attack of opportunity?

Andezzar
2012-11-26, 09:40 AM
A 89

No, creatures gained through feats, class features or spells are not figured into the encounter calculation.

A 90

Not necessarily:
You can take a 5-foot step as part of your readied action, but only if you don’t otherwise move any distance during the round.

A 91

Yes, in this regard the Polymorph spell is no different form Alter Self.

Curmudgeon
2012-11-26, 03:06 PM
A 92 Yes.

Unless there's an explicit exception (such as for the bull rushee with respect to their bull rusher), involuntary movement provokes AoOs just as voluntary movement does.

Zombimode
2012-11-26, 03:51 PM
Q 93

Mounted Combat...
Ok, according to this (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20050125a) article, the mount is "doing the movement" which leaves the rider "to do something else". But, if the mount moves more the 5ft. (the author probably meant that the mount is using its move action for a regular movement) the rider can not make a full attack.
I try to translate this into actual game terms.

When mounted creature move, does it spend its move action, or not?
And if not, why are full attacks not possible?
But if yes, why are people always talking about what to do with your move action while mounted?

alanek2002
2012-11-26, 05:33 PM
Q94
How do I use a spell with range: 0ft, like minor creation? does it only affect my square, or can I make the center of the effect be in my square, or what?
Thanks.

Curmudgeon
2012-11-26, 05:36 PM
A 93

The mount's movement restricts, but does not use up, the rider's actions.
You can use ranged weapons while your mount is taking a double move, but at a -4 penalty on the attack roll. You can use ranged weapons while your mount is running (quadruple speed), at a -8 penalty. In either case, you make the attack roll when your mount has completed half its movement. You can make a full attack with a ranged weapon while your mount is moving. Likewise, you can take move actions normally. "Why" questions aren't usually covered by the RAW, but here's your answer for mounted melee full attacks:
If your mount moves more than 5 feet, you can only make a single melee attack. Essentially, you have to wait until the mount gets to your enemy before attacking, so you can’t make a full attack.

A 94

Yes, a range of 0' only affects your square(s).

killem2
2012-11-26, 06:27 PM
A 77 No.

Weapons can be upgraded, but not downgraded.

Q95: Does this mean someone could take, say, a +1 Keen Greatsword, then later make it a +1 Keen, Flaming Burst Greatsword, for 18,000? Then, perhaps later on, make it a +1 Keen, Flaming Burst, Ghost Touch for an additional 2000? Then make it a +5, for an additional 32k?

TuggyNE
2012-11-26, 06:39 PM
Q95: Does this mean someone could take, say, a +1 Keen Greatsword, then later make it a +1 Keen, Flaming Burst Greatsword, for 18,000? Then, perhaps later on, make it a +1 Keen, Flaming Burst, Ghost Touch for an additional 2000? Then make it a +5, for an additional 32k?

A95: Sort of. You can do that, but you have the prices wrong. +1 Keen is a +2 equivalent; upgrading to Flaming Burst turns it into a +4 equivalent, for 32000gp - 8000gp = 24000gp to upgrade. Adding Ghost Touch bumps it to +5, so it costs 50000gp - 32000gp = 18000gp, and changing it to +5 takes it to +9 equivalent, or 162000gp - 50000gp = 112000gp to upgrade it. The price to upgrade is always the total price of the new version minus the total price of the current version. (Consider the current special abilities and enhancement bonuses nothing more than equity, if you will.)

Artillery
2012-11-27, 12:18 AM
Q96: Is the Maneuver "Battle Leaders Charge" considered a charge? If so can you full attack if you have Pounce?

Q97: Are you considered your ally/allies for the stance "Leading the Charge"?

Andezzar
2012-11-27, 01:40 AM
A 96

Yes and yes, but you only get the 10 extra damage on one attack.

A 97

Yes, according to the glossary (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/glossary&term=Glossary_dnd_ally&alpha=).

Daebu
2012-11-27, 08:07 AM
Q98: If I level a ACasterClass/NonCaster/YCasterPrestige/BCasterClass/YPrestige+z, do I get locked into ACaster's progression? Or is it possible to use YPrestige class to level ACaster the first time and BCaster the second time? Specifically:

Bard4/Crusader2/JPM4/Sublime Chord2/Abj Champ2/JPM+6. Or something similar. The intent would be to get to "Bard 7" casting progression with JPM, allowing for 3rd level arcane casting; then progressing through sublime chord with the additional levels. Perhaps this is a bad example because Sublime Chord is a prestige class with its own casting?

Lateral
2012-11-28, 12:04 AM
A 98: Yes, you can choose a different class to advance the second time.

Q 99: Are there rules for weapons that are effectively larger than Colossal size?

mishka_shaw
2012-11-28, 09:32 AM
Q 100: What happens if I have the Crab Walk spell and Reckless Charge?

_felagund
2012-11-28, 10:24 AM
Q 101: If i engaged in melee combat, can i declare withdraw and avoid atack of opportunity to the enemy i fight?

mattie_p
2012-11-28, 11:02 AM
A 101: Yes, if you use the Withdraw (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/actionsInCombat.htm#withdraw) full round action or make a successful DC 15 (for 1/2 your speed, DC 25 for full speed) Tumble (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/tumble.htm) check.

Andezzar
2012-11-28, 11:40 AM
A 101 Addendum

Note though that neither a complete withdrawal or tumbling at your speed always gets you out of melee range. If your speed is equal to your opponent's or slower the opponent can simply take a move action and attack you. Even if it is greater but smaller than twice your opponent's speed he can still charge you.

Urpriest
2012-11-28, 04:35 PM
A 98: Yes, you can choose a different class to advance the second time.

A 98 Correction:

This is true for Jade Pheonix Mage, but false for other PrCs. In general, a PrC will specify in its Spellcasting entry whether you can choose which class it advances at each level or whether you make one choice upon starting the PrC.

Callum
2012-11-28, 04:53 PM
Q 102

The Spellcraft (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/spellcraft.htm) skill has many possible uses, including the following:

Spellcraft DC - Task
15 + spell level - When casting detect magic, determine the school of magic involved in the aura of a single item or creature you can see. No action required.
20 + spell level - Identify a spell that’s already in place and in effect. You must be able to see or detect the effects of the spell. No action required. No retry.

Does this mean that if you have detect magic (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/detectMagic.htm) running and detect a spell (say, that an NPC has cast on themselves), then you get to make two free Spellcraft checks: one to determine the school, and one to determine the exact spell? If so, why is the former mentioned in the detect magic description, but not the latter?

Curmudgeon
2012-11-28, 04:54 PM
A 99

There are no weapons of size larger than Colossal; they don't exist in the RAW. Weapons treated as effectively larger than their actual size follow Dungeon Master's Guide Table 2–2: Increasing Weapon Damage by Size (page 28).

A 101 addendum addendum

The Tumble penalty to move faster than full speed is -20 (Sprinting Tumble, page 103 of Complete Adventurer), so with a DC 35 check (before penalty) you could Tumble throughout your Withdraw action, avoiding movement AoOs entirely.

A 102

You get to make one Spellcraft check that combines both functions (determine the school of magic, identify the spell); the check result will determine whether you succeed on neither, just the first, or both. If you fail to determine the spell you can't retry that check, but you can retry the spell school check.

If so, why is the former mentioned in the detect magic description, but not the latter? The reasons behind the rules are not really a RAW matter. You would have to ask the authors of Player's Handbook.

Andezzar
2012-11-28, 07:09 PM
Q 103

Undead with 2 or more HD would be detected as evil by the spell Detect Evil regardless of Alignment, right?

Q 104

Where can I find the 3.5 baelnorn?

Q 105

Are there other non-evil liches besides the baelnorn?

kardar233
2012-11-28, 07:29 PM
Q106:

Character A has the Epic feat Spell Stowaway: Time Stop. Character B casts Time Stop. How does this resolve?

Possibilities:
Characters A and B effectively share the Time Stop, acting in their relative initiative and can affect each other normally.
Characters A and B share the Time Stop as above but each character is prevented from affecting the other under the Time Stop restrictions.
Characters A and B each have their own separate but identical Time Stops that execute in succession. This raises the question of which executes first.

Curmudgeon
2012-11-28, 08:05 PM
A 103

The evil aura of undead of any number of hit dice would be detected by Detect Evil, including Lawful Good PCs with the Necropolitan template. Their hit dice would only affect the strength of the aura.

Torvon
2012-11-28, 10:59 PM
Q 107
Do I understand "silent image" and subsequent spells correctly that you can create moving illusions - e.g. a totally realistic moving humanoid that attacks an enemy (and fails his hits on purpose in order to not give the enemy a WILL save)? Can it flank? Can it defend if it is attacked? Which stats does it use for AC?

Thank you

Curmudgeon
2012-11-29, 12:22 AM
A 107 No, no, no, and N/A.
Effect: Visual figment that cannot extend beyond four 10-ft. cubes + one 10-ft. cube/level (S)

This spell creates the visual illusion of an object, creature, or force, as visualized by you. The illusion does not create sound, smell, texture, or temperature. You can move the image within the limits of the size of the effect. You cannot create a figment that protrudes (even the illusion of) a weapon outside the cubes in which it is projected so that they impinge on an enemy's 5' cube. Thus you cannot have them even seem to attack an enemy, and because they cannot provide a convincing attack they cannot generate a flanking bonus.
Because figments and glamers (see below) are unreal, they cannot produce real effects the way that other types of illusions can. They cannot cause damage to objects or creatures, support weight, provide nutrition, or provide protection from the elements. Consequently, these spells are useful for confounding or delaying foes, but useless for attacking them directly. As a general principle: a spell's benefit is only what is directly stated in its description, and never more than that.

Torvon
2012-11-29, 12:26 AM
A 107 No, no, no, and N/A.

Thank you. Illusion spells are common in all kinds of roleplaying games. All either point out that you can create a MOVING illusion, or only a STATIC illusion. This description does neither. Your first "no" says: you can only create static illusions? E.g. not a spoon that bends?

Curmudgeon
2012-11-29, 12:44 AM
Re: A 107

You can create an image that moves while you concentrate on it, but it's not going to move in a way that's convincing to observers as they move their eyeline even a little bit.
Figment

A figment spell creates a false sensation. Those who perceive the figment perceive the same thing, not their own slightly different versions of the figment. (It is not a personalized mental impression.) Figments cannot make something seem to be something else. If you move your head a bit left or right and you don't get a different viewpoint, you'll reasonably suspect that it's a figment.

Douglas
2012-11-29, 12:56 AM
If you move your head a bit left or right and you don't get a different viewpoint, you'll reasonably suspect that it's a figment.
I disagree with that interpretation. The parenthetical note clarifies that the meaning of the statement is that details are specified entirely by the person creating the illusion, not filled in by the viewer's mind. It has nothing to do with differences in viewing angle.

Torvon
2012-11-29, 12:58 AM
Re: A 107
If you move your head a bit left or right and you don't get a different viewpoint, you'll reasonably suspect that it's a figment.
You assume that the illusion is 2d, in which case moving your head makes sense. If it is a 3d illusion your comment does not make sense. I don't see in the spell that it is a 2d illusion.

I opened a "proper" thread, this seems to be too complicated for Q&A. Thank you!

Artillery
2012-11-29, 10:51 PM
Q108: Combat Brute has Momentum swing, does the attack the following turn have the same penalties as the one the previous round, no penalties to attack, or a penalty of your choice(as if power attacking again this turn)?

Torvon
2012-11-30, 12:18 AM
Q109:
Is there an arcane low level illusion spell that can create complex auditory illusions - e.g. spoken language? The lvl 0 cantrip ghost sound cannot do that, neither can minor (or for that matter, major) image.

Seer_of_Heart
2012-11-30, 12:58 AM
Q110:
Would holding a stack of bones which have had bone talisman let druids use the turn undead uses in the bones to fuel divine metamagic. EG: A druid has 7 bone talismans would that allow him to fuel Divine metamagic persist?

Q111:
Would a druid casting bone talisman on a bone to give it a turn undead attempt and handing it to a cleric allow the cleric to use the bone talisman towards fueling divine metamagic?

Miscast_Mage
2012-11-30, 04:22 AM
Hi, first time posting a question here, so apologies if I muck anything up.:smallredface:
Q112
When using a bolt or an arrow as an improvised weapon, does it have the same crit range as a dagger(19-20), or does it only crit on 20?

Q113
When using a bolt or an arrow as an improvised weapon, does it only have the piercing damage type, or does it deal "piercing or slashing" as a dagger?

An arrow used as a melee weapon is treated as a light improvised weapon (–4 penalty on attack rolls) and deals damage as a dagger of its size (critical multiplier x2).

Q114
Are bolts interchangable between different types of crossbows?
Can a bolt for a light crossbow be used for a heavy crossbow?
How about between a light crossbow and a hand crossbow?
Or between a light crossbow and a repeating light crossbow?

_felagund
2012-11-30, 06:00 AM
Q115 Shall i add HDs of spell using monsters to caster level check?

Curmudgeon
2012-11-30, 06:31 AM
A 112 Natural 20 only.
An improvised weapon scores a threat on a natural roll of 20 and deals double damage on a critical hit.

A 113 Ask your DM.
To determine the size category and appropriate damage for an improvised weapon, compare its relative size and damage potential to the weapon list to find a reasonable match. The "appropriate damage" for an improvised weapon includes the amount of damage and the type of damage. The rules already specify the amount, but it's up to the DM to determine the type. Practically speaking, an arrow is only suitable for piercing damage (since it would break easily when striking with any lateral force), so that's the way most DMs would call it.

A 114 Ask your DM.

Bolts for light and heavy crossbows have the same cost and weight, but that's not the same as saying they're the same size. The answer depends on whether the difference of a heavy crossbow compared to a light crossbow is in a longer pull or just stouter construction, in addition to the loading mechanics. The rules don't have this level of detail, so it's up to the individual DM whether the bolts are interchangeable.

mattie_p
2012-11-30, 06:48 AM
A115: No, check the monster entry for caster level.

For example, a Nymph with 6 hit dice casts as a 7th level druid. Use 7 for the caster level check.

A110: No. Bone talisman (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mb/20040721a) requires "You or another druid may present the bone in the manner of a holy symbol and use it to turn undead" (a standard action). The spell itself does not offer an alternative use of the bone in that manner, so it can only be used as a standard action, (Unlike, for instance, a Nightstick - from Libris Mortis).

A111: No, due to the standard action required use.

leegi0n
2012-11-30, 09:00 AM
Q116: Can you still see, hear, taste, smell, and feel if you fall prey to the Time Stop spell?

Cog
2012-11-30, 09:15 AM
A 116
Yes, provisionally. Time Stop has no victims; the only person affected by it is the caster, who is accelerated to such a degree that time seems to stop for everybody else.

Ketiara
2012-12-01, 01:39 AM
Q118
Is it possible by raw to remove one of the alignments to allow my companions passage even if they aren't lawful? (The password won't work since too many people will know it, and the. It's a matter of time before the enemy knows it as well).

mattie_p
2012-12-01, 09:13 AM
A 118. I am assuming you are asking about Forbiddance (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/forbiddance.htm)? If so, No.

Perhaps you'd be interested in Dimensional Lock (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/dimensionalLock.htm)? Or seek DM approval for a researched custom version. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/divineSpells.htm#divineIndependentResearch)

SolarSystem
2012-12-01, 11:47 AM
Q 119
I'm about to run an adventure module and one of the npcs has a potion of clairaudience/clairvoyance.
My question is whether this potion is even useable as intended.

The RAW says the person creating the potion makes any decisions about the effect - which I would normally interpret meaning that the location of the sensor is determined by the potion creator... should I change the potion to something else?

mattie_p
2012-12-01, 12:08 PM
A 119: The potion is not usable as (probably) intended.

What you should do is beyond the scope of the thread, but you basically have two choices to make the treasure usable per RAW.

1) Make the sensor location somewhere important to the adventure or campaign. You now have a plot hook.

2) Change the potion to something that works.

KillianHawkeye
2012-12-01, 03:03 PM
Re: 119

Clairaudience/clairvoyance isn't even a valid spell to put into a potion, because it doesn't "target one or more creatures." The spell lacks the Target line completely, instead having the Effect of creating a magical sensor.

In addition, even if it WAS a targeted spell, the Brew Potion feat states that whoever drinks the potion is the target of the spell.

The person who wrote the adventure module clearly had a strong misconception about the way potions work. Or else the item is some kind of lame joke.

mishka_shaw
2012-12-01, 03:07 PM
q120: How big is a Horse (Long Large) is is a 10ft by 10ft square or a 10ft by 5ft rectangle?

Urpriest
2012-12-01, 03:35 PM
q120: How big is a Horse (Long Large) is is a 10ft by 10ft square or a 10ft by 5ft rectangle?

A 120

All monsters occupy a square area, this was one of the changes from 3.0 to 3.5.

DeltaEmil
2012-12-01, 03:39 PM
Q 121

Can you talk normally while underwater? Would you need Aquan to communicate verbally while underwater? Are there any rules regarding communication underwater?

ripper-
2012-12-02, 02:40 PM
Q122

A character with Leap Attack and Combat Brute feats charges and takes -5 to hit to get +15 to damage.

He uses his attack to sunder the enemy shield and is successful. He uses the tactical maneuver to sundering cleave to get an addional extra attack: does this attack have +15 to damage due to Leap Attack or has only +10 due to a normal Power Attack?

Q123

A level 3 wizard with 12 hp has a not improved familiar with 6 hp. The mage casts:
a) Bear's Endurance on himself, his hp goes to 18 and the familiar's ones goes to 9. Right?
b) He doesn't cast the spell on himself, but on the familiar: how many hp does he get?
c) He casts the spell on himself and shares it with the familiar: how many hp does the familiar has?

Forgive me if I did some mistakes, my english is far from perfect.

Andezzar
2012-12-02, 03:20 PM
A 122

A character with Leap Attack and Combat Brute feats charges and takes -5 to hit to get +15 to damage.A Leap Attack with a Power Attack penalty of -5 would give +10 (one-handed weapon used with one hand) or +20 (weapon used with two hands) damage.

He uses his attack to sunder the enemy shield and is successful. He uses the tactical maneuver to sundering cleave to get an addional extra attack: does this attack have +15 to damage due to Leap Attack or has only +10 due to a normal Power Attack?The damage bonus from leap attack only applies to the charge attack, the attack penalty from power attack persist until the next round though.

Q 124

Can you sort the Deck of Many Things in an Antimagic Field and then draw the card you want, once the deck is taken out of the field? Can you repeat that process, if you announced to draw more than one card?

Ianuagonde
2012-12-02, 04:10 PM
A 124 No

Antimagic Field (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/antimagicField.htm) states that it does not affect artifacts.

Ketiara
2012-12-02, 05:14 PM
Q125
If you shapechange your rogue into a 12 headedhydra will he be allowed to SA with each head?

docnessuno
2012-12-02, 05:36 PM
A125

As long as an attack fufills the conditions to be a sneak attack, it's one, regardless of the number of attacks or their source, unless otherwise noted.

For example, a rogue shapechanged in a 12-headed hydra flanking an enemy would be allowed to sneak attack on each of the 12 attacks.

Andezzar
2012-12-02, 05:38 PM
A 125

Sure, even Polymorph is sufficient for that trick. The rogue would still have to fulfill all the conditions for sneak attack on his full attack.

Q 126

Is a dead magic zone really nothing more than a large antimagic field?

ManInOrange
2012-12-02, 06:38 PM
Q 127

Are there any feats, class abilities, spell effects, or combinations thereof which would give a character a free trip attempt upon a successful attack, much like a wolf's extraordinary 'Trip' ability?
...excluding, of course, polymorph-esque spells to transform into a wolf.

mattie_p
2012-12-02, 06:42 PM
A 127: Knock-Down (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineAbilitiesFeats.htm#knockDown) comes to mind.

ManInOrange
2012-12-02, 07:00 PM
Q 127b

Is Knock-down a deity specific feat; can it only be taken by a deity/with the DM's permission?

Nightpenguin
2012-12-02, 07:02 PM
Q128 A
If a natural 20 is rolled on a critical confirm, but 20 + to-hit < AC, then does the attack crit?

Q128 B
If a natural 1 is rolled on a critical confirm, but 1 + to-hit >= AC, does the attack crit?

Douglas
2012-12-02, 07:47 PM
Q 127b

Is Knock-down a deity specific feat; can it only be taken by a deity/with the DM's permission?
No, it is not. The only reason that feat is in that section of the SRD is that it was printed in Deities and Demigods. It was printed in Deities and Demigods because it had previously been printed in some other book - where it was intended for regular characters - and someone wanted to use it for an official deity build but the book was required to be self-contained except for core.

Every feat in that section of the SRD was originally printed in a book other than Deities and Demigods, and in that original printing it was intended for normal characters. Also, while it says that deities can take these feats, it does not say that non-deities cannot. The prerequisites listed in each feat are the only prerequisites actually required, and divine rank is not among them. Just make sure what you're looking at is in the feats section, not the Salient Divine Abilities section.

Q128 A
If a natural 20 is rolled on a critical confirm, but 20 + to-hit < AC, then does the attack crit?
Yes.

Q128 B
If a natural 1 is rolled on a critical confirm, but 1 + to-hit >= AC, does the attack crit?
No.

The critical confirm roll follows all the same rules as the original attack roll, including automatic success or failure on a natural 20 or 1.

arkangel111
2012-12-03, 01:08 AM
Questions about the Chameleon PRC class.

Q129A: Does the feat "obtain familiar" Stack with Chameleon levels? and if yes is it regardless of what class you're simulating or only when arcane.

Q129B: Does other PRC "+1 level spell casting" work for Chameleon casting?

My google-fu is failing me.

-Ark

Curmudgeon
2012-12-03, 01:40 PM
A 129 No, and no.

From page 112 of Races of Destiny:
You can’t use any abilities gained from your aptitude focus, ability boon, or mimic class feature abilities to qualify for a feat, prestige class, or other option. Obtain Familiar is a feat. Your other question is about prestige classes. You don't qualify, because you only have spellcasting as a Chameleon through Aptitude Focus.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-12-03, 03:09 PM
Q130 Wild Cohort let's you select your cohort from the Alternative Druid list as if your Druid Levek-3; but the improvement table and text (at least according to my reading) doesn't mention that you apply that penalty to your cohort's advancement. Does that means that even if you have an effective druid level of 1; but your character level is 4 your wild cohort would get a bonus HD, the nat armout, str, and dex bonus?

Q131 I recall that in some book it was stated that a Ranger could ignore any dex pre-requisite on archery or Two weapon fighting feats as long as he had selected the pertinent weapon style. Can anyone please or confirm this?

mattie_p
2012-12-03, 04:59 PM
A131: You probably saw it in the PHB/SRD. (But you also need light or no armor). Those benefits only apply at the levels where you get combat style, and for the selected combat style.

Combat Style (Ex)
At 2nd level, a ranger must select one of two combat styles to pursue: archery or two-weapon combat. This choice affects the character’s class features but does not restrict his selection of feats or special abilities in any way.

If the ranger selects archery, he is treated as having the Rapid Shot feat, even if he does not have the normal prerequisites for that feat.

If the ranger selects two-weapon combat, he is treated as having the Two-Weapon Fighting feat, even if he does not have the normal prerequisites for that feat.

The benefits of the ranger’s chosen style apply only when he wears light or no armor. He loses all benefits of his combat style when wearing medium or heavy armor.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-12-03, 05:15 PM
A131: You probably saw it in the PHB/SRD. (But you also need light or no armor). Those benefits only apply at the levels where you get combat style, and for the selected combat style.

Yeah that was probably what I was thinking of.

Killer Qban
2012-12-03, 05:18 PM
Q 132 What cleric level does the Divine Favor spell go up to +2?

Its a 1st level spell and it says you get a plus for every 3 levels you have...which is confusing me for some reason :smallconfused:

mattie_p
2012-12-03, 05:26 PM
A132: It goes up to +2 at CL 6.

you gain a +1 luck bonus on attack and weapon damage rolls for every three caster levels you have (at least +1, maximum +3). The bonus doesn’t apply to spell damage.

Rounding Fractions (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/theBasics.htm#roundingFractions)
In general, if you wind up with a fraction, round down, even if the fraction is one-half or larger.

Q130: Your reading appears correct.

The Wild Cohort (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a) feat does apply the penalty, but only to the types of cohorts you can gain through the feat. The table (and text, for that matter) are based on character level and hit dice.

odigity
2012-12-03, 07:49 PM
Q133. Can you attack with two different weapons without Two-Weapon Fighting?

If I'm a fighter with BAB +6/+1, and therefore two attacks, can I make my first attack with one weapon in one hand, and the second attack with the other weapon in the other hand? (Ignoring Monk Flurry.)

Q134A. Does teleporting conserve orientation?

If you need a specific example, consider a Conjurer with Abrupt Jaunt ACF standing in front of a barrel placed against a wall, looking forward at the barrel and wall. Can he Jaunt on top of the barrel orientated the opposite way that he was, and therefore be facing outwards towards the rest of the room, or must he end up with the same relative orientation, and therefore be staring at the wall?

Q134B. Does Abrupt Jaunt conserve momentum?

Same question, but for momentum. If you need to jump across a 20' chasm but are only confidant in jumping 10', could you run, jump, and Jaunt forward 10' in mid-air (immediate action), coming out of the Jaunt with the same momentum you had going in, and therefore clear the distance?

Q134C. Does Abrupt Jaunt end the interrupted move action?

One last variant on the previous -- you want to charge someone, but there's a 5' wall between you. Can you begin the charge, activate Abrupt Jaunt right as you reach the wall to teleport past it (immediate action), and continue your charge?