PDA

View Full Version : One Piece II: Piece, Red Piece, Blue Piece.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Soras Teva Gee
2013-01-18, 12:56 PM
Celebrating a second thread in more then as many years.

This Calls for a Party! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvLpSkrCNpc)

Previous Thread:
One Piece -- Discussion (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166585)

DiscipleofBob
2013-01-18, 12:58 PM
Might as well post this since the last thread's done:

As far as the admirals go, they had a very specific character theme with Aokiji (Blue Pheasant), Kizaru (Yellow Monkey), and Akainu (Red Dog). I'm completely unfamiliar with the myth the theme is based off of, so I don't know if any other replacements could be brought in this way.

If, however, the titles of Aokiji and Akainu were passed onto new admirals, that gives us a better idea of what might be possible.

Garp has a dog theme to his appearance anyway, and he might just be the one to inherit the Mera Mera Fruit if possible, especially given his relationship to Ace. This would fit the naming theme and the logia theme of the admirals. I don't think it's likely based on the fact that Sakazuki is supposably going for an even darker administration than last time, though it could be that Sakazuki wants to keep a closer eye on Garp and try to force him into a position where he has less leeway to do as he pleases. If this pattern is followed, then I suspect that the new Aokiji will be someone completely new, possibly with the long-speculater Water Logia.

If, however, the original theme regarding the Admirals is no longer in effect by Oda, that opens up a few new possibilities. I doubt any of the side Vice-Admirals with barely any appearance like Cancer, Momonga, Onigumo, etc. would really work. They just don't matter enough.

As a dark horse, or leopard in this case, what about Rob Lucci? We don't know what happened to him post-timeskip, his strength and track record are still well above the majority of the marines, his loyalty and commitment to the "dark justice" makes him an ideal subordinate under Sakazuki's administration, and he has several loyal followers already.

On a related note, the Shichibukai...

Until we get confirmation, we have quite the roster change:

People who are confirmed Shichibukai:
Doflamingo - Confirmed to retain his shichibukai status.
Mihawk - Can't find confirmation that he's retained his shichibukai status, but I also don't see any reason why he wouldn't still be a shichibukai.
Trafalgar Law - Confirmed to be a new shichibukai.

People who might no longer have the shichibukai status (or lose it shortly)
Boa Hancock - She's aided Luffy quite a bit. Supposably she's been hiding it enough that the government hasn't caught on and revoked her status, but it seems less likely each time that she hasn't been found out yet. That could potentially get her kicked out.
Bartholomew Kuma - If Bartholomew Kuma truly has lost all of his free will, it sees pointless to keep him as a shichibukai when he's just as loyal to the world government either way. The point of the shichibukai is for the World Government to forge uneasy truces with the more dangerous of pirates to minimize conflict on both sides and to team up agains threats like the Yonkou. Better to fill that slot with an actual pirate who'd be a threat otherwise.

People who are definitely no longer shichibukai:
Blackbeard - Confirmed to not retain his shichibukai status.
Jinbe - Confirmed to not retain his shichibukai status.
Gekko Moria - Confirmed to not retain his shichibukai status. Supposably he was killed on the battlefield, but he could also very well be locked away somewhere secretly as well.

So we have anywhere from three to five new guys, one of which is Trafalgar Law. Speculation as to who could be the replacements?

Buggy the Clown - There's already been a lot of discussion to this and hints in the story, specifically the letter he received just before the timeskip. Mostly due to the fact that his new crew is probably far more dangerous than Buggy himself.

Crocodile - The government might consider reestablishing his shichibukai status out of desperation now that he's out. He would be a valuable ally in the current climate. He's not exactly trustworthy, but look at the others.

As for the remaining Supernovas... Eustass Kid, Scatchman Apoo, and Basil Hawkins have been shown, and considering their alliance talks it seems likely that any of them have become shichibukai.

X Drake was mentioned as having made a name for himself, but given his anti-marine demeanor, he seems unlikely. Bonney's definitely out after her encounter with Blackbeard.

Capone Bege and Urouge haven't been mentioned post-timeskip yet. I don't see them as likely choices, but it's worth considering.

Soras Teva Gee
2013-01-18, 01:08 PM
I'd be real surprised if Boa Hancock lost her status for doing her "who dared put a [____] in my path?" schtick given that she projects and practices a persona of being a total bitch all the time already.

Besides the world will always forgive her....

Dscherro
2013-01-18, 02:18 PM
Oda only applied the shichibukai's animal theme to the original group, so he also might not retain the admiral's theme.

[...]it could be that Sakazuki wants to keep a closer eye on Garp and try to force him into a position where he has less leeway to do as he pleases.
Could be true: Garp is an intructor now, he probably won't leave the HQ very often.
Edit: Indeed, Soras, mostly had Sengoku in my head (because we saw him talking to Kong), forgot that Kong mentioned Garp.

Soras Teva Gee
2013-01-18, 03:17 PM
Oda only applied the shichibukai's animal theme to the original group, so he also might not retain the admiral's theme.

Could be true:
Garp is an intructor now, he probably won't leave the HQ very often.

Well I'd say Garp is almost never near HQ, save when he comes by to make trouble. You don't have Boot Camp at the Pentagon afterall.

And that's not a spoiler man Garp becoming an instructor is old news from pre-timeskip.

Dscherro
2013-01-20, 12:20 AM
Something different:
Ceasar Clown has a voice now, and it's
Ryusei Nakao aka the guy who spoke Mayuri in Bleach.
You can't make it more fitting:smallsmile:.

LaZodiac
2013-01-20, 12:25 AM
Something different:
Ceasar Clown has a voice now, and it's
Ryusei Nakao aka the guy who spoke Mayuri in Bleach.
You can't make it more fitting:smallsmile:.

...I'm not going to like, that's actually perfect.

Soras Teva Gee
2013-01-20, 12:28 PM
Hooray for pigeon-holing voice actors? I guess?

Tanuki Tales
2013-01-20, 02:19 PM
Does anyone happen to know if Z has been confirmed as either the same level of canon as Strong World or not?

I would also like to second the idea that Buggy and his crew have become one of the Shichibukai. The carrier bat was only seen once before and that was delivering Jinbe his own invitation.

LaZodiac
2013-01-20, 02:48 PM
Does anyone happen to know if Z has been confirmed as either the same level of canon as Strong World or not?

I would also like to second the idea that Buggy and his crew have become one of the Shichibukai. The carrier bat was only seen once before and that was delivering Jinbe his own invitation.

Z is cannon, yes.

We don't know yet if Buggy is a Shichibukai, but they're is so much evidence pointing towards it I have a hard time saying it's NOT confirmed.

Soras Teva Gee
2013-01-20, 04:00 PM
Z is cannon, yes.

I've not seen anything that confirms that. Unlike Strong World it was not written by Oda. Overseen is all I've seen, which could easily be marketing bullcrap for an fairly minor advisory rol. Additionally far as I know there's no supporting mentions in the manga, which was not the case for Shiki.

I suspect this may be an apocryphal canon, elements and even movie particular characters may be true but the film's events never happened in the manga timeline. Or something like that.

The wiki says it takes place between the anime filler and Punk Hazard which would be flat out impossible to fit into the manga... but I'm not inclined to trust that until I've seen both the film and how Punk Hazard ends.

LaZodiac
2013-01-20, 04:49 PM
I've not seen anything that confirms that. Unlike Strong World it was not written by Oda. Overseen is all I've seen, which could easily be marketing bullcrap for an fairly minor advisory rol. Additionally far as I know there's no supporting mentions in the manga, which was not the case for Shiki.

I suspect this may be an apocryphal canon, elements and even movie particular characters may be true but the film's events never happened in the manga timeline. Or something like that.

The wiki says it takes place between the anime filler and Punk Hazard which would be flat out impossible to fit into the manga... but I'm not inclined to trust that until I've seen both the film and how Punk Hazard ends.

Well, maybe it's only anime canon then? Like, I know the movie DOES have SOME canon elements to it, like Akoji with a missing leg and so on.

Soras Teva Gee
2013-01-20, 04:57 PM
Yeah pretty much I'll wait and see on anything else.

Oh I just happened across this by chance... (spoilered for image size)
http://static.zerochan.net/Sanji.full.1405058.jpg

It took me a second to get it. (Protip:The Eyebrows)

I'm not sure if I quite believe it as more then coincident... but if so damn I mean Rayleigh was one thing but... damn

Pokonic
2013-01-20, 06:34 PM

I'm not sure if I quite believe it as more then coincident... but if so damn I mean Rayleigh was one thing but... damn

The picture is not showing up, Soras, but I think I know what you are talking about.

Soras Teva Gee
2013-01-20, 08:49 PM
That's strange because I can see it just fine:

http://www.zerochan.net/1405058

Link to page

LaZodiac
2013-01-20, 09:06 PM

Almost garunteed it's intentional, since Oda seems like the guy who would.

That's strange because I can see it just fine:

http://www.zerochan.net/1405058

Link to page

The direct image didn't work since the site breaks images, forcing you to link to the image as you did here.

Dr.Epic
2013-01-20, 09:54 PM
Tee-Hee! I like this thread title! I'm gonna go watch this anime now!:smallsmile:

Tanuki Tales
2013-01-20, 10:10 PM
Z had both a filler anime arc and it had a manga tie-in. Add this in with the fact that it's the second movie to be called a "film" after Strong World, that Oda was said to "oversee" it just like Strong World and that he personally selected the Armani designs for the Strawhats and I think it might be safe to say it's just as canon to the manga as Strong World was.

Soras Teva Gee
2013-01-20, 10:52 PM
Z had both a filler anime arc and it had a manga tie-in. Add this in with the fact that it's the second movie to be called a "film" after Strong World, that Oda was said to "oversee" it just like Strong World and that he personally selected the Armani designs for the Strawhats and I think it might be safe to say it's just as canon to the manga as Strong World was.

The filler arc is rather a negative point, it explicitly breaks the manga timeline. The Straw Hats surfaced right outside Punk Hazard remember, there's literally no place for a filler arc there.

The manga tie-in (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1I8dDmNKns&feature=player_detailpage#t=206s) is not a story, just an art book. Unlike Strong World's Chapter Zero, and Shiki was mentioned in a regular chapter having escaped Impel Down.

And there's a big difference between "overseeing" and actually writing the story.

I'm personally inferring it comes mostly to providing character designs.

Kato
2013-01-23, 05:00 AM
The filler arc is rather a negative point, it explicitly breaks the manga timeline. The Straw Hats surfaced right outside Punk Hazard remember, there's literally no place for a filler arc there.

They did? I forgot. But it's not like it was really essential... While the filler wasn't great it wasn't really terrible either...

Anyway, new chapter, aftermath of the arc. Nothing I really feel happened... The only thing I kind of enjoyed was Law realizing (again) what he got himself into with Luffy.

And the Samurai is alive because ???

Dscherro
2013-01-23, 06:17 AM

Magic! Maybe literally.
I' kinda sad that Brownie has to go to Impel Down now, poor guy can't get a rest.
But we have Kaidou's epithet now, maybe he is the One Piece World's Beastmaster:smalltongue:?

LaZodiac
2013-01-23, 09:34 AM
Magic! Maybe literally.
I' kinda sad that Brownie has to go to Impel Down now, poor guy can't get a rest.
But we have Kaidou's epithet now, maybe he is the One Piece World's Beastmaster:smalltongue:?

Calling it right now. Kaidou was the one getting Artificial Zoan's from Ceaser.

Also, I feel like we might learn what counteracts the gass next chapter, since the marine soldiers said they got the information out of Ceaser. Maybe it's as simple as just smashing the covering on them?

Dscherro
2013-01-23, 12:38 PM
Calling it right now. Kaidou was the one getting Artificial Zoan's from Ceaser.
Possible, but it might not be the source of his name, since that army seems to be no more than three years old and I don't think one of the most infamous criminals gets his nickname changed that easily.
I once read the theory that Minkmen are actually animal people, with Pekoms, Bepo and possible the monkey brothers being members. I liked this one, if it's correct, Kaidou's core crew might mostly consist of them, maybe Kaidou himself is one.
And if he's making the Zoan Army he would be able to create more Chimaera's like Pekoms:smallamused:.

Soras Teva Gee
2013-01-23, 12:50 PM
They did? I forgot. But it's not like it was really essential... While the filler wasn't great it wasn't really terrible either...

I loved the character designs/concepts, the plot wasn't terrible, but they got terribly lazy on some animation which put me off it.

I'm inferring that Law is responsible... somehow.

Forrestfire
2013-01-23, 09:32 PM
I'm absolutely loving Law's expression on the third-to-last page of the latest chapter. :smallbiggrin:

I'm inferring that Law is responsible... somehow.

Or the gas only petrified the top layer of his skin, and it broke off safely due to his devil fruit.

Somewhere
2013-01-24, 06:31 PM
So, as a little personal challenge to myself, each week I will translate the little random ToC comments Kubo/Kishi/Oda make if I can find a scan for the next issue, which is what you guys have read yesterday.

Now as for Oda...

"Kaizoku Musou 2 no demo wo mita boku to tantou no hannou. Sugo !! Tsuyo !! Zurui!!! Ero !!"

Oda's reaction (as well as the guy in charge's?) to the Kaizoku Musou 2 demo: Awesome! Powerful! Cunning! Sexy!

Soras Teva Gee
2013-01-24, 08:33 PM
I'm absolutely loving Law's expression on the third-to-last page of the latest chapter. :smallbiggrin:

Trofalgar Law anyone?

Somewhere
2013-01-30, 12:25 AM
Issue #10/Feb 4's ToC has been scanned, so what does Oda have to say...

"Hausutenposu e Anime staffu 250 nin to ryokou no hazu ga yuki de hikouki kekkou. Mata kondo."

The 'hausutenposu' is all in katakana, and I'm not sure how to parse it. It's a location of some sort. And he was supposed to take a trip with the anime staff (numbering 250 people; wow, lot of people work on the One Piece anime) there, but due to snow, the flight was canceled. Maybe some other time.

Dscherro
2013-01-30, 06:42 AM
New Chapter
Law, you magnificent bastard, that was awesome:smallbiggrin:.
Doflamingo surely doesn't like being cornered, did he just kill his servants in anger?
And Kaidou not only built a Smile Army, he is apparently no human. So much for "of the bests", he might be one of those talking humanoid animals, or he is a member of the species that Oda wanted to introduce soon.

Soras Teva Gee
2013-01-30, 09:45 AM
Well we always knew Law was the Supernova worth watching the closest.

I'm just glad he's on the Straw Hat side for now.

DiscipleofBob
2013-01-30, 10:10 AM
New Chapter
Law, you magnificent bastard, that was awesome:smallbiggrin:.
Doflamingo surely doesn't like being cornered, did he just kill his servants in anger?
And Kaidou not only built a Smile Army, he is apparently no human. So much for "of the bests", he might be one of those talking humanoid animals, or he is a member of the species that Oda wanted to introduce soon.

I don't think so. He might have if his servants had any necks to snap. Until he got pissed off it seemed like Doflamingo would avoid the traditional villain trope of "You have failed me now you must die."

Kato
2013-01-30, 10:37 AM
Well... I don't think there's much to say... the good bye was a bit clicheed but fits the manga... and I'm not eniterly sure what Law's agenda is but he seems pretty smart about it. Though what that Kaidou guy is might be interesting or a total let down.

Silva Stormrage
2013-01-30, 12:53 PM
Ya Law just keeps on being awesome. He is easily my favorite character right now in the manga.

Soras Teva Gee
2013-01-30, 10:40 PM
Well... I don't think there's much to say... the good bye was a bit clicheed but fits the manga... and I'm not eniterly sure what Law's agenda is but he seems pretty smart about it. Though what that Kaidou guy is might be interesting or a total let down.

I'm not finding Kaido that interesting so far. I've long suspected as a balance point to the pure awesome of Whitebeard and Shanks the other two original Yonko have to be fairly loathsome and thus less interesting. And creating a fake-fruit army is pretty suggestive in that regard.

And I've no idea what Law's goal is. Though he's plainly supposed to be enigmatic like that. Shot in the dark is he's after some kind of revenge just against who is the question. I think he will ultimately prove benign to the Straw Hats at least, hopefully.

Only Scratchman Appoo concerns me even half as much out of the Supernovas.

LaZodiac
2013-01-30, 11:25 PM
So! A theory I had! Each Yonko is an exemplar user of the series's main fighting styles. I'll elaborate.

Whitebeard is the ultimate Paramecia

Blackbeard is the ultimate Logia

Shanks is the ultimate Swordsmen (minus Mihawk)

Now, as for the other two, Big Mom and Kaido. This leds to some secondary theories.

Kaido, due to being "Of the Hundred Beasts" and his owning of an (artificial) Zoan army, I'm going to guess he's a Zoan. Specificly, he's some sort of Chimera mythological Zoan. Now, given how versatile Zoan can be, my theory is that Kaido would be able to use every aspect of his Chimera form as versatily as say, Chopper would utilize his various poins. Thus, Kaido is the ultimate Zoan.

Big Mom, meanwhile, would be the ultimate Martial Artist. My theory with this is that, due to her love of candy, she uses a Drunken Kung Fu esque battle style involving the "sugar rush" aspect of eating a whole lot of candy.

Silva Stormrage
2013-01-30, 11:30 PM
So! A theory I had! Each Yonko is an exemplar user of the series's main fighting styles. I'll elaborate.

Whitebeard is the ultimate Paramecia

Blackbeard is the ultimate Logia

Shanks is the ultimate Swordsmen (minus Mihawk)

Now, as for the other two, Big Mom and Kaido. This leds to some secondary theories.

Kaido, due to being "Of the Hundred Beasts" and his owning of an (artificial) Zoan army, I'm going to guess he's a Zoan. Specificly, he's some sort of Chimera mythological Zoan. Now, given how versatile Zoan can be, my theory is that Kaido would be able to use every aspect of his Chimera form as versatily as say, Chopper would utilize his various poins. Thus, Kaido is the ultimate Zoan.

Big Mom, meanwhile, would be the ultimate Martial Artist. My theory with this is that, due to her love of candy, she uses a Drunken Kung Fu esque battle style involving the "sugar rush" aspect of eating a whole lot of candy.

Interesting theory, but doesn't it fall apart since Blackbeard really isn't a standard logia? His can't dodge attacks like normal AND he has whitebeard's power as well.

I would just ignore blackbeard from that entire theory. I would suspect big mom to be some kind of logia. A sugar/candy logia maybe :smallbiggrin:?

LaZodiac
2013-01-30, 11:43 PM
Interesting theory, but doesn't it fall apart since Blackbeard really isn't a standard logia? His can't dodge attacks like normal AND he has whitebeard's power as well.

I would just ignore blackbeard from that entire theory. I would suspect big mom to be some kind of logia. A sugar/candy logia maybe :smallbiggrin:?

I'd imagine Candy would be more Paramecia. Also, just becaues it's not standard doesn't mean it's not the ultimate Logia. Thanks though :smalltongue:

Kato
2013-01-31, 06:55 AM
There's been a Candy Logia in... some movie. He got defeated by throwing flour at him. Sanji's kitchen knowledge saved the day which was pretty cool. The one good thing about the movie iiirc.

Apart from that... while the theory isn't bad I'd also exclude Blackbeard, more because he isn't one of the original emperors. And Shanks is more of a Haki specialist than a swordsman, I'd argue.

Kaidou being... some Zoan user would make sense. Chimera seems reasonable but maybe something else we can't think of right now.

As for Big Mama... I kind of like the idea you can be an emperor by being smart and not powerful but it seems unlikely in OP.

LaZodiac
2013-01-31, 09:11 AM
Well, you can be smart AND powerful. After all, Drunken Kenpo requires, if I recall, not actually BEING drunk but tricking your opponent into thinking you are. I'd assume the candy kung fu idea I had would work much the same way. And tricking your opponent requires being smart.

Good point on Shanks being more Haki based. I just recall him always fighting with a sword so I guess I just assumed he was good at it :smalltongue:

AtlanteanTroll
2013-01-31, 12:35 PM
I agree with the statement that Shanks is more of the ultimate Haki fighter, but that really does beg the question as to what Big Mom is. Whitebeard being dead really throws a loop in the system. Seeing as prior to his death we have no clue if there was a Logia (or Zoan, or Paramecia) amongst the Yonko.

EDIT: Wait a second. Has Blackbeard been collecting even MORE Devil Fruits since the Whitebeard War? Because the Wiki sure makes it read that way. :smalleek:

Soras Teva Gee
2013-01-31, 02:03 PM
EDIT: Wait a second. Has Blackbeard been collecting even MORE Devil Fruits since the Whitebeard War? Because the Wiki sure makes it read that way. :smalleek:

We know the Blackbeard Pirates are hunting fruit users and doing something with that describe as "stealing" but its too vague in any translation I've seen to take a firm view.

Going from there to Blackbeard personally Mega Manning more powers can't be determined as yet.

Its possible they are after improving the rest of the crew's abilities, as Laffitte was the only other potential user. And are actively hunting so they can pick and choose while know what they are getting in advance.

If I had to guess I would say that Blackbeard's aim has always been to build the strongest conceivable crew, with himself at the top. It would explain why he went to soooo much trouble to get two particular fruits.

darksolitaire
2013-01-31, 02:43 PM
If I had to guess I would say that Blackbeard's aim has always been to build the strongest conceivable crew, with himself at the top.

This basically makes BB equivalent of Gary Oak/Blue, while Luffy is more like Ash/Red. :smallamused:

Dusk Eclipse
2013-01-31, 03:13 PM
Well, you can be smart AND powerful. After all, Drunken Kenpo requires, if I recall, not actually BEING drunk but tricking your opponent into thinking you are. I'd assume the candy kung fu idea I had would work much the same way. And tricking your opponent requires being smart.

Good point on Shanks being more Haki based. I just recall him always fighting with a sword so I guess I just assumed he was good at it :smalltongue:

He was strong enough that Mihawk got pissed he lost his arm, considering he could wisthand a Whitebeard attack with his left(?) hand sword I am sure he is a master of armament Haki.

Have he ever shown something that could be interpreted as observation haki?

LaZodiac
2013-01-31, 05:05 PM
I don't believe he's shown any observation Haki. Though he HAS shown Conqueror's Haki, when he scared away that Seaking.

Soras Teva Gee
2013-02-01, 09:19 AM
Word of Oda (I heard) is that if Shanks had been in the plaza he would have taken down all 100,000 mooks.

Dusk Eclipse
2013-02-02, 11:51 PM
100.000 mooks? Wow... but that means that Whitebeard didn't had Conqueror Haki right? I mean if he had he could have avoided much trouble.

LaZodiac
2013-02-03, 01:32 AM
100.000 mooks? Wow... but that means that Whitebeard didn't had Conqueror Haki right? I mean if he had he could have avoided much trouble.

He does have the Conqueror's Haki, fairly sure. If Kaizoku Musou has any validity to it. But the idea is, Shanks is so skilled and powerful with his Haki, he'd be able to do that with his.

Neoriceisgood
2013-02-03, 05:10 AM
What are the spoiler rules in this thread? I see some people using spoilers, but others aren't really.

:smallsmile: Thanks.

Kato
2013-02-03, 06:29 AM
What are the spoiler rules in this thread? I see some people using spoilers, but others aren't really.

:smallsmile: Thanks.

Uhm... for the most part, the most recent chapter is spoilered for the next 12 hours, or 24... (Or five posts :smalltongue:) At least that's what I stick to.

Soras Teva Gee
2013-02-03, 05:05 PM

I was speaking of Fishman Island where Luffy took down 50k. Sorry for the confusion.

Now on Whitebeard....

He does have the Conqueror's Haki, fairly sure. If Kaizoku Musou has any validity to it. But the idea is, Shanks is so skilled and powerful with his Haki, he'd be able to do that with his.

...Chapter 570 confirms Whitebeard had it.

Now at Marineford I'd presume that there was some reason not to. Like he can't narrowly target it, effect that many, or otherwise lack capacity in it. Or simply was too old to risk it. It would of course still leave all the real threats still active.

Kato
2013-02-05, 09:52 AM
Aye, new chapter, mates.

So... quite a bit happens. Okay, a little. Trafalguy and Luffy tell the crew and Samurai&son and Cesar a bit about their alliance which... is nice, I guess. (Though Law should really take Sanji's advice serious)
What a crazy random happenstance, the crew is heading for where samurai guy wants to go as well. And he seems to have some connection to Kaidou (?). We could all kinds of crazy guessing what kind but I'll assume something to do with revenge... it doesn't seem like Samurai had any reason to be kindly affiliated with someone who made deals with Doflamingo.

Speaking of Doflamingo, he beat Smoker up and then Aokiji showed up. If there is a kind and loving god Oda this was the last we have seen of him but probably not. Oh, and maybe his pupeteer stuff isn't even a fruit power? The strings seemed pretty "normal" to me.

LaZodiac
2013-02-05, 10:11 AM
As expected.

Rectangular man was Aokiji. Nice.

Our samurai fan seems to know something about Kaido the Beast, and SMILE is made from a bloodline limit. I'm thinking Kaido might be a natural zoan (to use an easy to understand term) and they make Smile out of Sad and his blood.

More Luffy being ridiculous and the crew being great. So all in all a great One Piece.

Dscherro
2013-02-05, 10:20 AM
So the shadow was Kuzan after all (does he still call himself Aokiji?) Most peoples guesses about Dressrosa were also right, it is pretty close to Punk Hazard (well, otherwise travel times wouldn't have made much sense). And Doflamingo can use Conqueror's Haki, which is cool. I think he's the first villain with this ability.

darksolitaire
2013-02-05, 11:18 AM
So,

We now have bloodlines in OP? :smallconfused:
Also, I'm very interested to see Doflamingo vs Aokiji have at it, but since they aren't main characters spotlight will probably move back to strawhats :smallfrown: We didn't see Smo-chan and Doflamingo's fight at all.

Lord of the Helms
2013-02-05, 11:40 AM
Great chapter. So it was Aokiji after all. Dunno who called it first, but they were right. Sad (but logical) to see Smoker get worfed again after already losing to Vergo. Clearly Doflamingo is shaping up to be the final villain for this arc, so him getting his butt kicked by Aokiji wouldn't make sense narrative-wise. I'm guessing he will retreat. But that still leaves me wondering what Aokiji is up to.

Wild theory about Kaidou: Maybe he's from Wano country as well?

Dscherro
2013-02-05, 11:55 AM
I also had this idea a while ago, maybe because he is the only emperor with a japanese sounding name.
Hey, what about another wild theory: He is a reversed Momonosuke, a fully grown and powerful asian dragon that has eaten some human-type devil fruit. Something mythical, like an angel, or non-mythical (in-universe) like a giant.

Somewhere
2013-02-05, 11:55 AM
Feb 9/Issue #11's ToC comment by Oda...

"Uchi de tetsudattekureteta Kurogane no Ikezawa-kun rensai otsukaresama. Saikyou J de Mindou-kun hasshin!"

Oda's basically giving a shout out to Ikezawa Haruto, the mangaka of Kurogane, since that just ended 1 or 2 issues ago. The uchi de tetsudattekureteta is a descriptor for Ikezawa, noting that he has helped Oda before. Speculation is that Ikezawa used to be an assistant of Oda's, but I can't find any proof.
And the second part is a shout out to a mangaka named Andou who apparently just got a serialization in Saikyou Jump.
Oda tends to be a pretty cordial guy to (most of) his fellow mangaka, from what I've heard. Particularly, he's cool with Kishi. Not so much with Kubo or Togashi, supposedly.

Saikyou Jump is the monthly for spin-offs of popular series. For example, it's where Rock Lee's Springtime of Youth runs.
I can't seem to find any mangaka named Andou in the series list on Saikyou Jump's website...probably debuts next month, then.

Kato
2013-02-05, 12:23 PM
But that still leaves me wondering what Aokiji is up to.

Uhm... like to what extent? He's... trying to help his friend and kick some jerks ass? Do you think there's much more behind it?

Wild theory makes sense to an extent but still doesn't explain why Samurai was so shocked but hid his reaction afterwards.

LaZodiac
2013-02-05, 12:51 PM
Feb 9/Issue #11's ToC comment by Oda...

"Uchi de tetsudattekureteta Kurogane no Ikezawa-kun rensai otsukaresama. Saikyou J de Mindou-kun hasshin!"

Oda's basically giving a shout out to Ikezawa Haruto, the mangaka of Kurogane, since that just ended 1 or 2 issues ago. The uchi de tetsudattekureteta is a descriptor for Ikezawa, noting that he has helped Oda before. Speculation is that Ikezawa used to be an assistant of Oda's, but I can't find any proof.
And the second part is a shout out to a mangaka named Andou who apparently just got a serialization in Saikyou Jump.
Oda tends to be a pretty cordial guy to (most of) his fellow mangaka, from what I've heard. Particularly, he's cool with Kishi. Not so much with Kubo or Togashi, supposedly.

Saikyou Jump is the monthly for spin-offs of popular series. For example, it's where Rock Lee's Springtime of Youth runs.
I can't seem to find any mangaka named Andou in the series list on Saikyou Jump's website...probably debuts next month, then.

Oda seems like a guy who would be really easy to get along with, based on his manga. I don't know anything about him personaly. Conversly, from what we DO know of Kubo's personality, I can kind of understand him not being on good terms with the others.

Also, I'd just like to note, your little segments like this warm my heart, and help remind me that these mangaka are human like us (it also reminds me, again, how accurate Bakuman is).

Lord of the Helms
2013-02-05, 02:36 PM
Uhm... like to what extent? He's... trying to help his friend and kick some jerks ass? Do you think there's much more behind it?

To the extent of why he came to Punk Hazard in the first place, and what he wants to do there. I'm pretty sure he didn't go there by accident, and helping his friend seems to be more coincidental, since he almost certainly was on the way there before Smoker was in danger. He clearly has some kind of other motive for being there.

Soras Teva Gee
2013-02-05, 06:10 PM
As expected.

Rectangular man was Aokiji. Nice.

Our samurai fan seems to know something about Kaido the Beast, and SMILE is made from a bloodline limit. I'm thinking Kaido might be a natural zoan (to use an easy to understand term) and they make Smile out of Sad and his blood.

More Luffy being ridiculous and the crew being great. So all in all a great One Piece.

So,

We now have bloodlines in OP? :smallconfused:
Also, I'm very interested to see Doflamingo vs Aokiji have at it, but since they aren't main characters spotlight will probably move back to strawhats :smallfrown: We didn't see Smo-chan and Doflamingo's fight at all.

Bad translation there guys, the other one I read has:

"fruits affect the bloodstream"

Which is completely different.

And nice to see Doflamingo using wires/strings finally confirmed.

Kato
2013-02-06, 05:10 AM
Bad translation there guys, the other one I read has:

"fruits affect the bloodstream"
Ah, thanks for clearing that up. I forgot to mention it but it confused me.

And nice to see Doflamingo using wires/strings finally confirmed.
Yeah, but now we don't know if it's a fruit power or just made fighting skills a la Hellsing's Walter.

Soras Teva Gee
2013-02-06, 09:56 AM
Well it would be a bit more fitting for him to be able to swim.

Much more pimpin to lounge in the pool sometimes over none of the time.

AtlanteanTroll
2013-02-07, 08:07 PM
If we don't see Aokiji VS Doflamingo I might cry.

Soras Teva Gee
2013-02-08, 12:43 PM
We're in the wrong part of the formula to have a big fight I think.

And it would have to either go against Aokiji or be inconclusive, since Doflamingo has future Luffy fight written all over him.

lord_khaine
2013-02-08, 01:37 PM
I really dont think neither Luffy nor the pink bird has grown enough to beat a fleet admiral like Aokij yet, so next chapter will proberly just contain hints of a hasty retreat.

Soras Teva Gee
2013-02-08, 03:06 PM
Well its been pointed out that Doflamingo (w/ Boa Hancock and Mihawk) came out of Marineford without a scratch on him, something not even the Admirals could technically boast of.

That said I still agree Doflamingo is still out of his league against Aokiji along with Luffy. And our ice man seems to be a guy that being at any disadvantage against even for a moment means your total defeat. Note how Jizo was the only Whitebeard Commander to stay down. And a Shichibukai would have to know that. So retreat in varying degrees of haste.

Thus leaving the question of what Aokiji really doing there. My guess is he wants/needs Smoker's help on something.

IncoherentEssay
2013-02-08, 05:39 PM
So i guessed wrong, but it was Aokiji. Net positive. A bit surprising the Strawhats got away in time what with the random partying.
Aokiji could also be there to investigate the whole missing children thing. Seems like the sort of thing he'd do if it came to his attention. Though looking for Smoker is more likely, assuming he had some way of knowing/finding out where Smoker was.

I am fairly sure that Kizaru made it out of the war without a scratch. Marco did kick him once but it didn't phase him much. I can't recall Doflamingo actually doing much anything during the war. Clashed with Crocodile once but not much else. No reason to overestimate him for that.

Anyone else notice that if Law had not switched Smoker and Tashigi around before they were captured, Smoker's coat would have been open and Caesar would have known he had someone else's heart? Assuming everything else went the same way from there, Monet would have completed her 'take you all down with me' mission.
Come to think of it, odd that no one demanded to have her heart back after Law's betrayal. Even assuming nobody else gives a damn (and Doflamingo's crew seem to be reasonably loyal to each other) one would think it'd be a priority at least to Monet herself :smalltongue:.

Soras Teva Gee
2013-02-08, 10:17 PM
I am fairly sure that Kizaru made it out of the war without a scratch. Marco did kick him once but it didn't phase him much. I can't recall Doflamingo actually doing much anything during the war. Clashed with Crocodile once but not much else. No reason to overestimate him for that.

Just for completeness Kizaru was not simply kicked but kick across the plaza into a building before coming back out. And all the Admiral took smacks from Whitebeard at least once. Sure its less then the pounding Akainu took but it is there.

Also don't sell Flamingo short. He not only dodge Oars by effortlessly leaping over him but also cut off the giant leg. He took control of Water Buffalo Atmos and sicked him on his own crew. He did the same to Jizo in his first meeting with Crocodile. And then took off Croc's head in their second meeting during the battle.

The guy definitely deserved what was for many years the highest known bounty out there.

LaZodiac
2013-02-08, 11:21 PM
I'd like to specificly point out that Doflamingo broke the arm of DIAMOND Jizo. As in, his arm, made out of diamonds. It got destroyed. By Doflamingo's puppet threads.

Dude's stronger then he looks.

IncoherentEssay
2013-02-09, 05:58 AM
I don't mean to say that Doflamingo is weak, far from it. I just think he's getting overhyped at the moment. Oars was basically just a huge target at Marineford and i doubt he fought all that much with Crocodile considering how much free time the latter had to interfere in things all over. So while Doflamingo did stuff he didn't take any serious risks, imo of course. Strong, but getting overhyped.
He certainly didn't take Jozu's arm, that was Aokiji. Jozu got distracted, frozen and fell over. Crack. Cue one armed bandit pirate :smalltongue:.

Lord of the Helms
2013-02-09, 06:35 AM
I don't mean to say that Doflamingo is weak, far from it. I just think he's getting overhyped at the moment. Oars was basically just a huge target at Marineford and i doubt he fought all that much with Crocodile considering how much free time the latter had to interfere in things all over. So while Doflamingo did stuff he didn't take any serious risks, imo of course. Strong, but getting overhyped.
He certainly didn't take Jozu's arm, that was Aokiji. Jozu got distracted, frozen and fell over. Crack. Cue one armed bandit pirate :smalltongue:.

Yeah, pretty much agree there. Yes, Doflamingo escaped unscathed while none of the admirals did. However, all of the admirals fought against Whitebeard at some point and Marco at another, the two most powerful guys on the opposing side. Doflamingo didn't fight either of those. The strongest guy he fought was Crocodile, and with all due respect to Croc, he's nowhere near as strong as Whitebeard.

I think Doflamingo will retreat, but not be beaten. I don't think he's badass enough to take on Aokiji and he probably knows it, and as someone else said, he has "final boss of the arc for Luffy" written all over him. Law even pretty much said outright that their goal in this arc is to take Doflamingo down. Aokiji stealing their kill would not make sense narrative-wise.

Kato
2013-02-09, 06:54 AM
Anyone else notice that if Law had not switched Smoker and Tashigi around before they were captured, Smoker's coat would have been open and Caesar would have known he had someone else's heart? Assuming everything else went the same way from there, Monet would have completed her 'take you all down with me' mission.

Does Law's skill require an open wound in the chest now or...? I can't follow your reasoning.

As for Doflamingo vs Aokiji... While I think Aokiji is the stronger I don't think Pinky needs to run without any hope for winning. He got his two subordinated back and the whole of G5 is pretty much useless, with Smoker beaten up and if anything Tashigi left to back up the other side.

IncoherentEssay
2013-02-09, 08:12 AM
Not exactly a wound but a cut mark. Monet had one, a nice clean cubic cut right through the chest, shown when Caesar stabbed her heart. It's entirely possible that it's not required but that seems a bit unlikely. Why would she put up with a hole in her chest if it's not necessary for the heart-as-hostage thing?

Soras Teva Gee
2013-02-09, 03:33 PM

Umm wait this took me awhile but ...

Smoker only got his heart back after they were all in open conflict with Caesar and Smoker was not around Caesar until after it was all said and done to give up any sign that the heart had been returned. And so help me IIRC the slot was always under Smoker's jacket. Nobody so help me was running around with an obvious slot in their chest beyond a couple of choice shots.

So I don't think it makes a difference.

IncoherentEssay
2013-02-09, 04:13 PM
...Checking back on things, i goofed. The hole would have been there anyways. I suppose i thought that having a heart is a requirement for having it switched around :smalltongue:. That, and it's not in Law's hand when he switches Smoker and Tashigi. The hole remains though and is commented on later, so i was mistaken.
Would have been neat if it were true and just as planned by Law. Ah well.

Soras Teva Gee
2013-02-09, 04:24 PM
Given the OP record level of double dealing in this arc it would be totally understandable, just yeah doesn't seem to be the case in particular.

lord_khaine
2013-02-10, 03:07 AM
As for Doflamingo vs Aokiji... While I think Aokiji is the stronger I don't think Pinky needs to run without any hope for winning. He got his two subordinated back and the whole of G5 is pretty much useless, with Smoker beaten up and if anything Tashigi left to back up the other side.

Unfortunately i think pinky's 2 minions would be about as usefull as the rest of G5 if it came to a showdown. With Aokiji's level of power they would just become collatoral damage.

Kato
2013-02-20, 08:14 AM
New chapter, those were two long weeks.

No epic battle :smallsigh: But Aokiji is apparently/probably part of the revolution?

Doflamingo resigns and we get a second alliance of the Youngsters.

Momonosuke is a ******* lucky bastard. Wow... I'm not sure if one should be angry or jealous.

And finally... What is up with Franky's hair?!?!?!?!

Oh, and Straw Hat Knights color page looks awesome.

Dscherro
2013-02-20, 09:31 AM
Well, lookithat
The shape WAS a bird. I would say "called it" but I thought I was just seeing things.

LaZodiac
2013-02-20, 10:53 AM
New chapter, those were two long weeks.

No epic battle :smallsigh: But Aokiji is apparently/probably part of the revolution?

Doflamingo resigns and we get a second alliance of the Youngsters.

Momonosuke is a ******* lucky bastard. Wow... I'm not sure if one should be angry or jealous.

And finally... What is up with Franky's hair?!?!?!?!

Oh, and Straw Hat Knights color page looks awesome.

Momonosukeeeeeeeee!

Franky got REALLY bored after he finished upgrading himself. If the nipple flashlights wheren't evidence enough, he got all the hair styles in him for future use if required.

Franky's kind of insane.

Somewhere
2013-02-20, 03:54 PM
Oda's ToC comment for this issue:

"5 nen no shigoto wo oete, tantou Hattori ga saru. Otsukare. So****e Oonishi kamubakkuyoro."

After completing 5 years of work, (supervisor? Editor?) Hattori is leaving. Thank you very much. And now Oonishi is coming back.

Hmm, I think I'm understanding something wrong here, but I'm not familiar with which editors One Piece had at which times to be sure.

LaZodiac
2013-02-20, 03:57 PM
I know enough about the editors from Bakuman to be somewhat saddened by that news, but that's about it.

AtlanteanTroll
2013-02-20, 05:38 PM
Hattori is One Piece's editor over at Jump (and the inspiration for the Hattori in Bakuman). He must be getting transferred to a different series.

Also. I liked this chapter. Sort of surprised Doflamingo did what he did. And the splash page was sexy.

LaZodiac
2013-02-20, 05:45 PM
I'm not surprised mostly because I like the confirmation that, it seems Doflamingo actually likes his crew in the way Luffy does. Which is quite cool. We need more villians that so clearly care about crewmates.

AtlanteanTroll
2013-02-20, 06:42 PM
We have plenty of villains like that already in One Piece. I'd like a powerful ruthless monster of a villain. It'd be especially interesting since his crew seems to actually like him. I mean, yeah, Ceasar was like that, but he's an underling and he also seems to legitimately like Doflamingo as well.

Kato
2013-02-21, 04:25 AM
We have plenty of villains like that already in One Piece. I'd like a powerful ruthless monster of a villain. It'd be especially interesting since his crew seems to actually like him. I mean, yeah, Ceasar was like that, but he's an underling and he also seems to legitimately like Doflamingo as well.

Really? I got the impression Cesar is mostly terrified of Doflamingo. And... maybe we have seen too little of him but I feel he's not that likeable... And while he doesn't treat his subordinates like **** the way Cesar did I still can't get myself to think he has anywhere near the bond Luffy has.

Also, I'd argue we've seen a fair balance between villains who like their subordinates and those who consider them tools.

Soras Teva Gee
2013-02-22, 10:58 AM
Well I think Doflamingo is showing signs he cares about his most immediate subordinates at least. Among chief villains I'm not sure we've seen any take that extra step, though not everyone of them is made out to be a total jerkass with their crew either.

Well Magellan I guess, he's just a decent guy doing his job. But he's about it. Even CP9 was lead by Spandam.

Though yeah good chapter, the Straw Hat Knights were probably the best thing though.

AtlanteanTroll
2013-02-22, 06:18 PM
Crocodile was pretty good to his crew. Or maybe it was just to Daz. I kind o need to re-read the whole Alabasta arc.

Soras Teva Gee
2013-02-22, 07:14 PM
Just Daz, he tried to blow some more up. And fed Mr. 3 to the Bannanadiles

lord_khaine
2013-02-23, 04:47 AM
Well Magellan I guess, he's just a decent guy doing his job. But he's about it. Even CP9 was lead by Spandam.

They took orders from Spandam, but i would say there were lead by Rob Luci, who i dont recall making any jerk moves toward his crew.

And we also have Smoker, who clearly cares a lot about his men and his duty towards JUSTICE!

Lastly there is Blackbeard, who it kinda does look like, he cares about his people?

Kato
2013-02-23, 09:51 AM
Well, I guess we can assume Arlong cared for his other fishmen, but yeah, he never went to any great lengths to show it.

And I'd assume Foxy cared for his crew as well.

Also, wasn't there some bit about how Moria used to be very attached to his crew at... some point in the past?

LaZodiac
2013-02-23, 11:02 AM
Well, I guess we can assume Arlong cared for his other fishmen, but yeah, he never went to any great lengths to show it.

And I'd assume Foxy cared for his crew as well.

Also, wasn't there some bit about how Moria used to be very attached to his crew at... some point in the past?

Moria was totally attached to his crew. The implication is that untill Kaidou KILLED EVERYONE that he was almost exactly like Luffy. That's what makes Gecko such a good villian. He, much like Buggy, Bellamy, and Blackbeard especially, are all sort of parralels to Luffy's character, thus serving to be very good villians.

Kato
2013-02-23, 11:09 AM
Moria was totally attached to his crew. The implication is that untill Kaidou KILLED EVERYONE that he was almost exactly like Luffy. That's what makes Gecko such a good villian. He, much like Buggy, Bellamy, and Blackbeard especially, are all sort of parralels to Luffy's character, thus serving to be very good villians.

Buggy and possibly Blackbeard I'll buy, though we really haven't seen that much of Blackbeard, but Bellamy? I can't remember any of that from him. (Then again, he didn't really do much, did he?)
(Kind of weird how all of them start with a B, though)

Soras Teva Gee
2013-02-23, 02:07 PM
They took orders from Spandam, but i would say there were lead by Rob Luci, who i dont recall making any jerk moves toward his crew.

Lucci gave fairly few orders to my recollection and ultimately does little to drive the plot next to Spandam who's the villain that set the plot in motion. He's in charge, only because of his position yes, but still in charge. Without him CP9 would have been off being super secret agents somewhere else without a care.

Heck its kinda the point of Lucci and Luffy's fight that all it ends up actually doing is preventing both characters from curbstomping a bunch of the weaker members on either side. The plan is only kaput when Spandam is beaten finally freeing Robin and Merry shows up to rescue everyone.

LaZodiac
2013-02-23, 02:59 PM
Buggy and possibly Blackbeard I'll buy, though we really haven't seen that much of Blackbeard, but Bellamy? I can't remember any of that from him. (Then again, he didn't really do much, did he?)
(Kind of weird how all of them start with a B, though)

Blackbeard, what we've seen of him, is full of it. Luffy will beat you up for insulting his dreams and hurting his friends. Blackbeard will KILL YOU for insulting his dreams and hurting his friends. This, and their power, are their only difference.

Bellamy serves as a counter to Luffy's ideas. Luffy believes in dreaming, Bellamy believes in realism. Their powers are both rather similiar, rubber compared to springs. But while Luffy, with his dreaming mind, has so many inventive ways to use his power, the lame old Bellamy only knows one real thing he can do with his power. He doesn't think to do something fancy, he just bounces.

It's a nice little show about how different dreaming can make you.

Soras Teva Gee
2013-02-24, 09:31 AM
Luffy will beat you up for claiming to be King of the Pirates or doing jerkass things to other people, I think you can insult him pretty far and he'll let it go.

Kato
2013-02-24, 12:19 PM
Blackbeard, what we've seen of him, is full of it. Luffy will beat you up for insulting his dreams and hurting his friends. Blackbeard will KILL YOU for insulting his dreams and hurting his friends. This, and their power, are their only difference.

Bellamy serves as a counter to Luffy's ideas. Luffy believes in dreaming, Bellamy believes in realism. Their powers are both rather similiar, rubber compared to springs. But while Luffy, with his dreaming mind, has so many inventive ways to use his power, the lame old Bellamy only knows one real thing he can do with his power. He doesn't think to do something fancy, he just bounces.

No offense but I still can't recall any instances where we got much insight into eithers psyche, especially their feelings towards their comrades :smallconfused: Luffy and Blackbeard had the scene when they were eating together and Bellamy... to be honest, I can pretty little from him since he was such a minor guy inn a short arc. All I recall is him beating up the guys because they were forbidden to fight and then getting one shot.

LaZodiac
2013-02-24, 12:30 PM
No offense but I still can't recall any instances where we got much insight into eithers psyche, especially their feelings towards their comrades :smallconfused: Luffy and Blackbeard had the scene when they were eating together and Bellamy... to be honest, I can pretty little from him since he was such a minor guy inn a short arc. All I recall is him beating up the guys because they were forbidden to fight and then getting one shot.

Maybe I'm just reading too much into things, but we know Bellamy is part of those "anti dreamer" guys, the ones with the crossed out Smily flags. And from what I recall Blackbeard and Luffy really seemed to get along well.

Soras Teva Gee
2013-02-24, 12:58 PM
They got along well enough, but had exactly opposite tastes.

Its odd but for a fairly small arc Jaya is probably the most important for laying out the underlying concepts driving the story.

AtlanteanTroll
2013-02-26, 11:54 PM
Maybe I'm just reading too much into things, but we know Bellamy is part of those "anti dreamer" guys, the ones with the crossed out Smily flags. And from what I recall Blackbeard and Luffy really seemed to get along well.
You mean Doflamingo Flags.

And is OP on break AGAIN? I know 700 is the next chapter, but come on. :smallsigh:

Kato
2013-02-27, 04:32 AM
You mean Doflamingo Flags.

And is OP on break AGAIN? I know 700 is the next chapter, but come on. :smallsigh:

I thought so, as well, but apparently they were just taking a bit longer.

CHAPTER 700!

The Crew is heading for Dressrosa to hand out Cesar and destroy some factory. And to free a samurai that is being held captive. I keep wondering where Trafalger left his crew.

Buggy is FINALLY revealed to be a Shichibukai (legendary...) but number 7 is still kept a mystery. (Oda you *****)

We see some more of Doflamingo's crew, including two people with weird personalities (seems to be a theme) and... he has Ace's fruit! Any bets on what is going to happen to it?

btw, I went back and re-read the Jaya Arc. And I still can't find any about either Blackbeard or Bellamy being more attached to their crew than our average captain. Yeah, BB supports Luffy when Bellamy insults his dreams but that has little to do with being good guys to their crew in my eyes.

darksolitaire
2013-02-27, 05:52 AM
CHAPTER 700!

The Crew is heading for Dressrosa to hand out Cesar and destroy some factory. And to free a samurai that is being held captive. I keep wondering where Trafalger left his crew.

Buggy is FINALLY revealed to be a Shichibukai (legendary...) but number 7 is still kept a mystery. (Oda you *****)

We see some more of Doflamingo's crew, including two people with weird personalities (seems to be a theme) and... he has Ace's fruit! Any bets on what is going to happen to it?

I don't see Luffy going out his way just to get Ace's fruit. I don't even see Strawhats having much use of the fruit. We do know that Blackbeard is after strong devil fruits, but I can't even imagine introducing another big name to the arc at this point.

Dscherro
2013-02-27, 06:38 AM
I don't see Luffy going out his way just to get Ace's fruit. I don't even see Strawhats having much use of the fruit. We do know that Blackbeard is after strong devil fruits, but I can't even imagine introducing another big name to the arc at this point.

Luffy can always put it in his personal treasure box.
But not only is Bonney back, she seems to be free, too. I hope she makes an appearance soon, I want to know what happened to her.
My guess about the Yonko Kidd and co. are after: Shanks. And they will defeat him, giving Luffy a personal reason to fight Kidd.
Other guess: Big Mom, since Kidd already made moves against her. He replaces her and his crew and allies run amok in Big Mom's protected territories, completely sacking Fishman Island in the process. Luffy will return to stop them (too late), hence the man with the strawhat surrounded by flames in Shyarly's prediction.

Soras Teva Gee
2013-02-27, 09:58 AM
This was a fantastic chapter really.

Kato
2013-02-27, 10:22 AM
Other guess: Big Mom, since Kidd already made moves against her. He replaces her and his crew and allies run amok in Big Mom's protected territories, completely sacking Fishman Island in the process. Luffy will return to stop them (too late), hence the man with the strawhat surrounded by flames in Shyarly's prediction.
Maybe, but it seems awfully convoluted... also: The Straw Hats being late? Nah... Also it would be quite irregular to return to an old island, if at all possible.

I don't see Luffy going out his way just to get Ace's fruit. I don't even see Strawhats having much use of the fruit.
It's not about "use", clearly, but about emotional attachment. Not that I support it but it would be expected of Luffy.

This was a fantastic chapter really.
It was good but for a x00 I was hoping for some enormous event. Ah, well...

Also, I've come to the conclusion the death count is only so low in the story so Oda wouldn't have to give the "fruit regeneration" away too early. Makes sense?

Soras Teva Gee
2013-02-27, 10:37 AM
It was good but for a x00 I was hoping for some enormous event. Ah, well...

Seems to be a western thing, I've lost track of the x00 chapters I've seen that pass unremarked.

Also, I've come to the conclusion the death count is only so low in the story so Oda wouldn't have to give the "fruit regeneration" away too early. Makes sense?

I think it has more to do with keeping the mood light, like how Luffy is a rubber man just so his fighting will always be a bit silly.

Dscherro
2013-02-27, 11:08 AM
Oh hey,
the OPwikia sometimes mentions details I missed, and this time they write that the little boat on the page with Kidd is Absalom's. So Abusa is probably Absalom, that's why he can get information without anyone noticing.

DiscipleofBob
2013-02-27, 11:36 AM
ODA YOU TEASING... grr....

Buggy was pretty obvious, but we have still one mystery man and one vacant seat in the Shichibukai.

Still not sure if they're keeping the three admiral setup and if they are, who the two/three replacements are.

And now we get to see more of Doflamingo's group, including some card suit-themed characters.

I also want to know what Crocodile and the rest of Baroque Works are doing now.

Soras Teva Gee
2013-02-27, 12:36 PM
Oh hey,
the OPwikia sometimes mentions details I missed, and this time they write that the little boat on the page with Kidd is Absalom's. So Abusa is probably Absalom, that's why he can get information without anyone noticing.

Checks out. Chapter 486 for anyone interested in comparing on their own.

LaZodiac
2013-02-27, 12:44 PM
I'm so glad for that little bit of information

Gekko Moria for Straw Hat Ally. We're gonna go take out Kaidou, I don't see Moria NOT helping Luffy.

Kato
2013-02-27, 01:10 PM
Checks out. Chapter 486 for anyone interested in comparing on their own.
Dunno... it might be but the image in the new chapter isn't that clear so that I'd put much money it. But it would give Sanji another chance to get that fruit he wanted :smallbiggrin:

I'm so glad for that little bit of information

Gekko Moria for Straw Hat Ally. We're gonna go take out Kaidou, I don't see Moria NOT helping Luffy.
Wait, what? Did I just miss some step(s) in your reasoning...?

I also want to know what Crocodile and the rest of Baroque Works are doing now.
Didn't the Baroque works have a cover arc and lived happily ever after or something?
As for Crocodile... Maybe gone forever. My most favorable guess is "joined the revolution" but that's without anything to base it on.

LaZodiac
2013-02-27, 01:16 PM
Wait, what? Did I just miss some step(s) in your reasonung...?

Absalom is the invisible tiger face guy from Moria's crew, right?

DiscipleofBob
2013-02-27, 01:19 PM
Didn't the Baroque works have a cover arc and lived happily ever after or something?
As for Crocodile... Maybe gone forever. My most favorable guess is "joined the revolution" but that's without anything to base it on.

Everyone but Crocodile and Daz Bones reopened the Spider Cafe. I want to know if they're still there post-timeskip (something tells me that during the timeskip they might have been rejoined Crocodile). I find it suspicious that all of Baroque Works was suspiciously left out of the "Where are they now?" cover arc.

Soras Teva Gee
2013-02-27, 01:25 PM
Dunno... it might be but the image in the new chapter isn't that clear so that I'd put much money it. But it would give Sanji another chance to get that fruit he wanted :smallbiggrin:

I'd put money on it personally, which I wouldn't often. However:

-The sail patterns match. Two sail rigging with the batwing bottom.
-The figurehead is identifiably a bat.

And Absalom is a known quantity that would easily be able to get scoops in that manner. Also the mention of "Abusa" is right over the ship in question. When something makes sense and has actual evidence it becomes much more likely.

I think he visited a certain person and next time we'll see what a certain secret was really about as its been undone.

What I love that theory its both hilarious and shows how off the wall OP is that its somewhat plausible.

Somewhere
2013-02-27, 02:29 PM
Yea, Absalom's the tiger face guy from Thriller Bark

As for this issue's ToC comment from Oda...

"Dorikamu no Ura Wandaalando ni ittekita. Masa-san wa (something I can't make sense of) de zukkoke ura de suteki."

...ok, we'll have to wait until Viz tackles this on Monday to see what the 2nd sentence is.
I think that Dorikamu is the band Dreams Come True*. Ura Wonderland is the name of their concert tour, it seems. So presumably Oda went to a concert of theirs.
Masa-san is presumably Masato Nakamura, the bassist. And he was apparently awesome. Or something. Suteki's the awesome. Zukkoke is misguided/foolish/abnormal. Ura's usually reverse, behind, or back. De is usually a particle to indicate location or by way of.

*Oda is very likely a fan of the band, as he's done this tribute art before:
http://imgbox.com/aacNA7q1
The lady next to Luffy is Miwa Yoshida, the vocalist. The guy in the center bottom is Masa.

AtlanteanTroll
2013-02-27, 11:14 PM
Moria helping Luffy (and by extension, Law) to take down Yonkou would make sense if and only if they were going after Kaidou. They aren't. Yet. And that assumes Moria isn't dead. Which is really a question we have no way of knowing the answer to at this point in time ... And I guess Zolo also has ties to Moria's crew, what with whatshername.

Frozen_Feet
2013-02-28, 03:17 AM
Oh, you mean Loli... sorry, Perona. :smalltongue:

Kato
2013-02-28, 05:14 AM
Absalom is the invisible tiger face guy from Moria's crew, right?
Yeah, but last time we saw Moria was at Marineford without Absalom, fighting Doflamingo and losing... so I see little chance that meeting Absalom has anything to do with teaming up with Moria himself. That's what I was wondering about.

Everyone but Crocodile and Daz Bones reopened the Spider Cafe. I want to know if they're still there post-timeskip (something tells me that during the timeskip they might have been rejoined Crocodile). I find it suspicious that all of Baroque Works was suspiciously left out of the "Where are they now?" cover arc.
Hm, now that you mention it, yeah, I was wondering about that as well. Especially as pretty much everyone else was shown. Though, it could be mere coincidence they were left out... they seemed hapy enough.

I'd put money on it personally, which I wouldn't often.
Okay, looking real close I can see it... The wording seems weird though. It makes it appear like Absalom is some freelance writer or something. Wasn't he suggested to be Kid's underling last time? (Of course there is also the chance that someone killed Absalom, took his ship and fruit and is using both now, but that's more unlikely)

Dscherro
2013-02-28, 06:24 AM
Yeah, but last time we saw Moria was at Marineford without Absalom, fighting Doflamingo and losing... so I see little chance that meeting Absalom has anything to do with teaming up with Moria himself. That's what I was wondering about.
Didn't Moria disappear into thin air right before Doflamingo's eyes?
Could have easily beem Absalom, they could have escaped the same way they escaped from Thriller Bark. Not seeing Absalom with Moria doesn't mean anything, it's Absalom after all.

LaZodiac
2013-02-28, 10:06 AM

I probably jumped to conclusion, because I'm a big fan of Moria, especially due to his backstory, so I want to see him team up with Luffy and get some revenge/solace after beating up Kaido.

Soras Teva Gee
2013-02-28, 02:37 PM

We have no idea what is true or not. It wouldn't be suprising for Moria to pop up as Doflamingo's underling for example.

I don't think he would have rejoined his old crew though. We can already infer Perona hasn't bee with him so its not an all the old crew thing, and presumably Oda wouldn't recycle the halloween adventure theme so there isn't a strong reason to put them together. That said there isn't anything to say in any direction just what Moria is up too.

Hm, now that you mention it, yeah, I was wondering about that as well. Especially as pretty much everyone else was shown. Though, it could be mere coincidence they were left out... they seemed hapy enough.

Its not actually conspicuous as we didn't see many villains in that series at all. We see Mr. 9 and Miss Monday who betrayed Baroque Works at Whiskey Peak and weren't part of the previous cover art. Perona likewise has seemingly switched sides. The Impel Down staff were always just doing their jobs.

That leaves I think just Disco the slave auction guy as a villain and Wapol as the only nominally major villain present.

We don't see the major players of Baroque Works but then we don't see any West Blue villains, Mock Town, Enel or his followers, the Foxy Pirates, Hogback or Absalom, or CP9.

Okay, looking real close I can see it... The wording seems weird though. It makes it appear like Absalom is some freelance writer or something. Wasn't he suggested to be Kid's underling last time? (Of course there is also the chance that someone killed Absalom, took his ship and fruit and is using both now, but that's more unlikely)

Umm what last time?

Fjolnir
2013-02-28, 02:56 PM
I am doing a complete reread of one piece right now and I was very pleased that the funeral of the merry go did not lose anything on the reread.

Kato
2013-02-28, 03:19 PM
Didn't Moria disappear into thin air right before Doflamingo's eyes?
Could have easily beem Absalom, they could have escaped the same way they escaped from Thriller Bark. Not seeing Absalom with Moria doesn't mean anything, it's Absalom after all.
I've been trying to find the scene but Marineford was kind of long... I think I recall Doflamingo defeating him... I'm not sure, though. But could Absalom even effect other people?

Umm what last time?
Wasn't there some instance like... in the middle of the Punk Hazard arc or so when we saw Kid talk to some underlings and either someone already assumed they'd seen Absalom or the name was mentioned or something... No, fail to find it. We see Kid at the end of 674, and some shadows of people but nothing that looks remotely like him. But I could swear someone suggested he was with Kid a few month ago. (Please someone tell me I'm not crazy :smallbiggrin:)

Silva Stormrage
2013-02-28, 05:20 PM
I've been trying to find the scene but Marineford was kind of long... I think I recall Doflamingo defeating him... I'm not sure, though. But could Absalom even effect other people?

We see Donflamingo defeat him off screen mentioning the orders to eliminate Moria was from people in the government higher than Sengoku. Then we later see him give a description of the fight to a high ranking government official where he mentions that Moria just "vanished into thin air" or something like that. We can't be sure if he was just making that up out of thin air either though.

Also Absalom could effect other objects (he had rocket launchers I believe) so its not unreasonable that he could affect other people if he remained in contact with them.

Soras Teva Gee
2013-02-28, 08:55 PM
However with Moriah having some teleportation of abilities of his own with his shadow and Doflamingo's half-assed account of the whole thing we really can't reach any conclusions.

Silva Stormrage
2013-02-28, 11:07 PM
However with Moriah having some teleportation of abilities of his own with his shadow and Doflamingo's half-assed account of the whole thing we really can't reach any conclusions.

True but its not impossible, and Oda DOES love chekhov's guns like this :smalltongue:

LaZodiac
2013-02-28, 11:24 PM
True but its not impossible, and Oda DOES love chekhov's guns like this :smalltongue:

Oda's love of chekhov's gun, and chekhov's gunman, and chekov's "showed up in one panel in the Buggy fight and then showed up again 600 chapters later" is proof, to me, that untill the series is ACTUALLY OVER, we can't discredit anything but the most bat **** INSANE theories. And even then they might be a little believable.

Soras Teva Gee
2013-02-28, 11:36 PM
Who showed up in one panel in the Buggy fight. I'd totally believe anything after this (http://0-media-cdn.foolz.us/ffuuka/board/a/image/1334/72/1334729114855.jpg) for foreshadowing I'm just wondering on the particulars.

LaZodiac
2013-02-28, 11:42 PM
Who showed up in one panel in the Buggy fight. I'd totally believe anything after this (http://0-media-cdn.foolz.us/ffuuka/board/a/image/1334/72/1334729114855.jpg) for foreshadowing I'm just wondering on the particulars.

Silvers Reyliegh, Gol's second mate. Shows up in one, maybe two panels in a flashback during the fight, detailing how Buggy got his power.

Soras Teva Gee
2013-02-28, 11:53 PM
Silvers Reyliegh, Gol's second mate. Shows up in one, maybe two panels in a flashback during the fight, detailing how Buggy got his power.

Oh okay, I knew about that one actually I just don't remember when that flashback occurred beyond Buggy's arc so I thought you meant someone on his crew or something.

There's also Luffy's mermaid, the "become enlightened" joke, Ace's tattoo, and oh yeah Haki.

LaZodiac
2013-03-01, 12:11 AM
Haki being so heavily and blatently foreshadowed in the FIRST CHAPTER is something that I actually had not realized untill a few months ago. Subtle.

I don't quite recall the "become englightened" bit though. Care to, ahem, enlighten me to the situation :smalltongue:?

Soras Teva Gee
2013-03-01, 12:23 AM
Supposedly not long after Chopper was introduced Oda was asked "What would happen if a human at the Hito Hito Fruit?" and he responded along the lines of "They would become enlightened"

Cue Sengoku.

LaZodiac
2013-03-01, 12:36 AM
Ah. Well to be fair with Sengoku, he ate the Hito Hito no Mi: Model Daibutsu.

Lord of the Helms
2013-03-01, 03:05 AM
We see Donflamingo defeat him off screen mentioning the orders to eliminate Moria was from people in the government higher than Sengoku. Then we later see him give a description of the fight to a high ranking government official where he mentions that Moria just "vanished into thin air" or something like that. We can't be sure if he was just making that up out of thin air either though.

Also Absalom could effect other objects (he had rocket launchers I believe) so its not unreasonable that he could affect other people if he remained in contact with them.

If I remember it correctly, he also made Nami invisible during his fight with Sanji and escaped with her.

By the way: Perona was seperated from Moria by Kuma and sent to Mihawk's island. It makes sense that she's not with him, she didn't even know where she was herself, let alone where to find Moria. Absalom and Hogback, however, were shown escaping with Moria from Thriller Bark.

I've had the theory that Absalom made Moria invisible and helped him escape from Doflamingo and the Pacifistas for a long time. Think I posted it in the old thread. It makes sense in terms of Absalom's powers. Also, Absalom and Hogback not being seen at Marineford makes sense because Hogback wasn't a fighter at all, and Absalom was kind of a coward, got beaten badly by Sanji, and Marineford was filled to the brim with people who could beat the everloving crap out of him in more ways than you could count.

The only thing about the theory that makes me unsure about it is that it implies quite a bit of forethought on Moria's part to have Absalom at hand as a kind of "life insurance", and I don't think he's ever been shown to have that kind of cleverness and planning.

Kato
2013-03-01, 06:52 AM

I feel incredibly stupid but... I don't get it. :smallredface:

Soras Teva Gee
2013-03-01, 09:29 AM
I feel incredibly stupid but... I don't get it. :smallredface:

One Word: Eyebrows.

darksolitaire
2013-03-01, 09:59 AM
...Sanji always had those eyebrows? :smallconfused:

LaZodiac
2013-03-01, 11:40 AM
...Sanji always had those eyebrows? :smallconfused:

Yes. You see, for the LONGEST time, people obsessed over what Sanji's other eyebrow looked like. And it was staring us in the face as early as the Alabasta arc.

Things like THIS, those little details, are part of why people love One Piece so much. Again, it's like seeing Silvers in that flashback, seeing Absalom's ship when Kid is talking about "Abusa" the informat, like having Marrying Lola give them a Vivre Card of her mother and never mentioning it again ever.

These things are small little things that all add up to the big things, and that's what makes One Piece a grand adventure.

Soras Teva Gee
2013-03-01, 12:04 PM
Yeah the attention to detail is just astounding.

Even relatively short term one's, like how if you look at some of Luffy's flashbacks to becoming brothers with Ace you can see the shadow of a third sake cup in one scene.

chainer1216
2013-03-01, 05:55 PM
so... about Doflamingo's reveal

am i the only one who thinks luffy wont care about the devil fruit? i know luffy is REALLY sentimental, but i get the feeling that he wont connect the fruit to Ace, it was just a power he used. i think Luffy will be more upset that Donflamingo is trying to use Aces memory against him.

Soras Teva Gee
2013-03-01, 08:28 PM
The more I think about that fruit the less sure I am on what's going to happen. I don't know that Luffy would care about something like that, but something tells me that it isn't just a big red herring either and will play some role. Maybe in a "its not the fruit its you trying to toy with Ace's memory" kinda way where Luffy is going to punch Doflamingo the heck out.

I guess the thing is that really irks me is we don't have an obvious candidate to eat it.

lord_khaine
2013-03-02, 06:55 PM
Am i the only one who is considering that Luffy might actualy end up eating the fruit, and getting a second DF power like Teach did?

Soras Teva Gee
2013-03-02, 08:16 PM
I have just A) It would dilute Blackbeard fearsomeness to start doing that B) I'd be a little suprised if anyone but him and his crew know how he did and C) Luffy is past the point of benefiting since every serious threat will almost certainly have Haki and D) It dilutes Luffy's concept.

If Luffy wasn't a DF user I would totally say yes.

Kato
2013-03-03, 07:40 AM
I really can't see it happening in any way... Okay, not "not at all" but "highly unlikely".
As Soras said, it's not supposed to be simply "eat the fruit, gain the power". unless that's some fiendish rumor spread to stop people from becoming mega powerful.
And... it defeats Luff's concept. I'd argue he'd possibly grow in power whether the enemies have haki or not, but he'd need to adapt his fighting style a lot to utilize a Logia all of a sudden and... no, I really don't see that happening.

I can't think of anyone among the Strawhats who is likely to eat it, and none of the other characters either... UNLESS Doflamingo really is no fruit user yet and he will use it as a last resort to fight Luffy or something like that. But... unlikely as well.

darksolitaire
2013-03-03, 07:54 AM
I can't think of anyone among the Strawhats who is likely to eat it, and none of the other characters either... UNLESS Doflamingo really is no fruit user yet and he will use it as a last resort to fight Luffy or something like that. But... unlikely as well.

Doflamingo was confirmed having Paramecia powers which allow him to manipulate wires.

Or that's what I would like to say, but it isn't canon as of yet as it comes from video game. :smallamused:

Kato
2013-03-03, 08:03 AM
Doflamingo was confirmed having Paramecia powers which allow him to manipulate wires.

Or that's what I would like to say, but it isn't canon as of yet as it comes from video game. :smallamused:

Huh, I really should play the video games... Well, it would be pretty weird if the game went against canon but I'm kind of hoping for it.

Soras Teva Gee
2013-03-03, 01:33 PM
Games can't really confirm or deny all that much, unless there's some evidence they got the info from Oda more directly. Compare the Mini Mini (http://onepiece.wikia.com/wiki/Mini_Mini_no_Mi) which has two different users between game and filler.

Paramecia has always been extremely likely though in my book.

If I had to select someone my best guess maybe Nami since she's still someone who could benefit and there seems to have been a bit of a setup for a Nami/Monet fight ("Oh heat works!") and Nami having to adapt to new powers has precedent. Of course Monet is troublesomely out of it, but even accounting for this being One Piece... I still place odds being pretty low on this front. Too much ship tease really.

My best bet has to be that the fruit will end up as an honored and precious memento kept on the Sunny. I just don't feel satisfied with that somehow.

Oh Monet reminds me though... Doflamingo's little council is missing a King/Queen of Hearts. Assuming Domon Kashu is not going to cameo as a villain seems that somebody should be sitting in that.

LaZodiac
2013-03-03, 01:39 PM
Oh, oh, oh! An idea.

Sunny will eat the fruit, and then they'll have fire element soda powered laser cannons.

lord_khaine
2013-03-03, 02:19 PM
As Soras said, it's not supposed to be simply "eat the fruit, gain the power". unless that's some fiendish rumor spread to stop people from becoming mega powerful.

Well, we have seen there are exceptions to the rule, and it just might have something to do with that cryptic D in Teach and Luffy's name.

And we have seen the fruit now, this gun is gonna be fired sooner or later, the only question is who it gonna hit, my bet remains Luffy, both for the symmetri, but also because he is one of the few people who could eat it without resulting in to big a change in fighting style or "identity".

Dscherro
2013-03-03, 02:26 PM
Oh Monet reminds me though... Doflamingo's little council is missing a King/Queen of Hearts. Assuming Domon Kashu is not going to cameo as a villain seems that somebody should be sitting in that.

That was Law's job.

Edit:
Oops, should have read the relevant part before posting: in chapter 695 it was mentioned that the Heart Seat was supposed to become Law's, so it's still unoccupied.

Soras Teva Gee
2013-03-03, 02:48 PM
Ahh good catch thank you. So we can gather that it is completely vacant.

Kato
2013-03-03, 02:54 PM
Do we know who has the other seats?

They could also get back the original King of Hearts but I'm not sure if Master Asia is a more likely candidate... Both would be pretty awesome, though. And Sekiha Tenkyoken with Haki power would definitely work in OP.

Oh, oh, oh! An idea.

Sunny will eat the fruit, and then they'll have fire element soda powered laser cannons.
Huh, I wonder if that'd be possible... Franky did have access to Vegapunk's research but will the Flame Fruit also give sentience... Or they could give it to Mini Merry II which I guess it at least as sentient as Merry was. Yeah, this will definitely work :smallbiggrin:

LaZodiac
2013-03-03, 03:31 PM
Do we know who has the other seats?

They could also get back the original King of Hearts but I'm not sure if Master Asia is a more likely candidate... Both would be pretty awesome, though. And Sekiha Tenkyoken with Haki power would definitely work in OP.

Huh, I wonder if that'd be possible... Franky did have access to Vegapunk's research but will the Flame Fruit also give sentience... Or they could give it to Mini Merry II which I guess it at least as sentient as Merry was. Yeah, this will definitely work :smallbiggrin:

I'm sorry but, excuse me? What makes you think the ships aren't already sentiant? The fruit's will just give em the power to speak to us in more ways then just through our souls.

*still cries at The Going Merry's death scene

Frozen_Feet
2013-03-03, 03:50 PM
Usop: "Oh my god the ship is on fire!"

Franky: "No, the ship is fire!" *commence victory pose*

Nami: "How do you think we will board it now, you imbecile?"

Luffy & Chopper: "So cool..."

On another note:

D.

Devil.

Devil's fruits.

What is the japanese word for the things again?

Fjolnir
2013-03-03, 03:52 PM
Sanji will use the fruit, adding more devastating heat to his flambe kicks and rendering large amounts of the kitchen obsolete...

Somewhere
2013-03-03, 04:03 PM
They're 'Akuma no mi' in Japanese.

We've had swords and cannons consume Devil Fruits before, right? So I'm fine with the Sunny eating it. I have no idea how the actual eating would be done, but eh, the coolness is worth glossing over that.

LaZodiac
2013-03-03, 04:13 PM
They're 'Akuma no mi' in Japanese.

We've had swords and cannons consume Devil Fruits before, right? So I'm fine with the Sunny eating it. I have no idea how the actual eating would be done, but eh, the coolness is worth glossing over that.

Science, clearly. My PERSONAL guess is that items would have a way of "eating" something. Like, a sword cutting it, and having the juices rubbed on it enough, or loading it INTO the gun/cannon. Seeing as how Thousand Sunny has a face, it'll just eat it the regular way.

chainer1216
2013-03-03, 04:51 PM
uh...i dont think a ship with a devil fruit would work. devil fruit powers dont mix with water.

besides, haven't we only seen items "eat" zoan type fruits? i doubt eating a normal fruit would give items the ability to animate.

Kato
2013-03-03, 05:06 PM
I'm sorry but, excuse me? What makes you think the ships aren't already sentiant? The fruit's will just give em the power to speak to us in more ways then just through our souls.

*still cries at The Going Merry's death scene
That's why I stopped my train of thought... Well, at least for the Merry. Not too sure about the Sunny yet...

Nah, they said they needed some scientific procedure, I think. In Alabasta they were still kidding when they had the... dog gun(?) but in Enel's Lobby I'm rather sure they said the sword with the elephant fruit was fused by using Vegapunk's technology.

uh...i dont think a ship with a devil fruit would work. devil fruit powers dont mix with water.

besides, haven't we only seen items "eat" zoan type fruits? i doubt eating a normal fruit would give items the ability to animate.
Ah, keep your pesky logic out of this. We know ships in OP can have more character than a person in another show. That bit with the water could be troublesome, though... Any ideas to circumvent this?

Somewhere
2013-03-03, 05:13 PM
Add a second hull so that it's technically not making contact with seawater?

thethird
2013-03-03, 05:13 PM
Boiling the water by heat and floating in steam?

Steam wouldn't have the saltiness of the sea water, so it might work.

LaZodiac
2013-03-03, 06:11 PM

Add a second hull so that it's technically not making contact with seawater?

Since it's got a seastone coating, it'll be like the ship is in a seastone boat. Also, this would help prevent the ship from just turning into fire and burning them, it might lessen the powers so it isn't a nigh immortal fire beast, just a ship that can shoot fire.

Soras Teva Gee
2013-03-03, 06:14 PM
Sanji will use the fruit, adding more devastating heat to his flambe kicks and rendering large amounts of the kitchen obsolete...

Same problem as Luffy, he's passed the point where any serious challenge won't have Haki. At this point being able to use Blue Walk is more useful then even a Logia would be. And he already has fire without a DF so its just redundant.

Besides what's the story on that, is it sufficiently emotionally meaningful for Ace's Power to just be handed off to the Monster Trio for a minor power boost? That's not good writing its powergaming.

Effects all the Straw Hats really that why there isn't a good candidate. Nami is merely the least problematic. Well except...

Sunny floats, you have to be immersed. Brook can run on water remember?

Sunny is best Fire.

lord_khaine
2013-03-03, 06:21 PM
Sunny floats, you have to be immersed. Brook can run on water remember?

Brook has boots on and avoids getting wet, but when a DF user gets into contact with the ocean they sink like a hammer.

Soras Teva Gee
2013-03-03, 07:49 PM
Brook has boots on and avoids getting wet, but when a DF user gets into contact with the ocean they sink like a hammer.

Have his boots been specified as waterproof? :smallwink:

Kato
2013-03-04, 05:13 AM
Besides what's the story on that, is it sufficiently emotionally meaningful for Ace's Power to just be handed off to the Monster Trio for a minor power boost? That's not good writing its powergaming.

Well, it would make sense for the Grandline 3.5 screencap comic... But yeah, in narrative it doesn't make much sense...

Since it's got a seastone coating, it'll be like the ship is in a seastone boat. Also, this would help prevent the ship from just turning into fire and burning them, it might lessen the powers so it isn't a nigh immortal fire beast, just a ship that can shoot fire.
Seastone? I recall the bubble coating, maybe that would work(?)

Also, I like thethird's idea with the steam. I't a floating fire-steam ship then!

Lord of the Helms
2013-03-04, 10:57 AM

Actually, it isn't mere contact, they have to be submersed to a considerable degree (knee deep, according to Oda: http://onepiece.wikia.com/wiki/Devil_Fruit#Side_Effects_of_Devil_Fruits). See the Fishman Island arc, Brook wasn't immediately immobilized by the water in the king's palace, only when a large part of him was underwater.

Not sure what would constitute knee deep for a ship. :smallconfused:

turbo164
2013-03-04, 12:42 PM
Actually, it isn't mere contact, they have to be submersed to a considerable degree (knee deep, according to Oda: http://onepiece.wikia.com/wiki/Devil_Fruit#Side_Effects_of_Devil_Fruits). See the Fishman Island arc, Brook wasn't immediately immobilized by the water in the king's palace, only when a large part of him was underwater.

Not sure what would constitute knee deep for a ship. :smallconfused:

It doesn't have knees.

SHIP JOOOKE! YOHOHOHOHOOO! :xykon:

Soras Teva Gee
2013-03-04, 02:49 PM
It doesn't have knees.

SHIP JOOOKE! YOHOHOHOHOOO! :xykon:

Perfect it will be unaffected. We've proved it.

Sunny for Mera Mera Fruit!

lord_khaine
2013-03-04, 05:09 PM
Actually, it isn't mere contact, they have to be submersed to a considerable degree (knee deep, according to Oda: http://onepiece.wikia.com/wiki/Devil...f_Devil_Fruits). See the Fishman Island arc, Brook wasn't immediately immobilized by the water in the king's palace, only when a large part of him was underwater.

Yeah, thats the weakening part, though they were also suposed to sink automatically.

Soras Teva Gee
2013-03-04, 08:56 PM
Yeah, thats the weakening part, though they were also suposed to sink automatically.

There's a line between "can't swim therefore sinks" for something not naturally inclined to float and "is actively sucked down" that can be made.

Brooks skimming suggests to me the latter option but I can think of any unambiguous examples like Luffy as a balloon floating or something.

AtlanteanTroll
2013-03-04, 11:31 PM
No. I'm sticking with chainer1216 on this one. First: The Sunny would have to consume a Zoan type fruit to gain true, human sentience. Secondly: The whole thing about being submerged in water while being a DF. Third: OK. Sure. Let's say you get rid of the issue of Sunny being a boat what with it's hull being made of Sea Stone. You're going to have a DF user coated in Sea Stone? Fun.

LaZodiac
2013-03-04, 11:45 PM
Yeah, good points there. My bad X_X

Soras Teva Gee
2013-03-05, 12:38 AM
Apparently everyone is missing the joke...

lord_khaine
2013-03-05, 05:01 AM
Apparently everyone is missing the joke...

Or else just not seing it as funny.

Soras Teva Gee
2013-03-05, 10:34 AM
Well if you can't see how madly awesome a flaming ship of awesome would be I don't think I can convince you.

lord_khaine
2013-03-06, 07:34 AM
Well if you can't see how madly awesome a flaming ship of awesome would be I don't think I can convince you.

Since im reading it like this, then i guess no :smallwink:

anyway, new chapter

And things are starting to get in motion for the new chapter, i must say "team destroy the factory" looks more than up for the task, with that absurdly powerfull lineup.

And we also have a interesting encounter with an absurdly powerfull blind man, but what does people think this is, a DF user or the most extreme manifestation of Haki seen so far?

DiscipleofBob
2013-03-06, 09:19 AM
"Eeehh, in this country people still believe in fairies, or not. In other words fairies exist, or not!!"

Yes, but the real question is do the faeries have tails?

:smalltongue:

Kato
2013-03-06, 09:33 AM
Yes, but the real question is do the faeries have tails?

:smalltongue:

Of course!

Yeah, neat setup for the new arc. A bit weird how imbalanced the parties seem to be but I'm sure they thought it through.

So... who will get stabbed by a jealous woman?

Somehow the old man reminds me of Kizaru from his facial features... or maybe it's just the beard?

And I wonder if Momonosuke's fear of heights will go anywhere.

Dscherro
2013-03-06, 09:43 AM
Dear god,
giant living nutcrackers and creepy talking dolls. If this country were real I would make sure to never ever visit it. Are they robots or something? Or maybe they were animated with Smiles.
But I like that Dressrosa is apparently Italy.

thethird
2013-03-06, 10:37 AM
I think Dressora is not an italian reference, but a Spanish one.

-The food is Spanish. (or at least as close as you could get in One Piece)
-There are flamenco dancers.
-The fairy existing or not is probably a reference to Meigas (witches) not existing, although they do exist (it is a spanish idiom).

I don't know if the blind man used DF or Haki, it doesn't relate to what Haki did in the past, and well, the gravity DF power is Blackbeard's (and it seemed gravity to me).

lord_khaine
2013-03-06, 11:40 AM
-The fairy existing or not is probably a reference to Meigas (witches) not existing, although they do exist (it is a spanish idiom).

Im pretty sure this was actualy a reference to another manga called Fairy Tail.

Somewhere
2013-03-06, 12:34 PM
Viz's translation for Oda's comment from issue #14:
"I went to Dream Come True's Wonderland event. Masa-san was both funny and awesome!"

Oda's ToC comment for this issue (#15):
"Kyarii Pamyu Pamyu-chan ni atta. Jinkaku wa shikkari****ete, ano kibatsu sense."

Oda meant Kyary Pamyu Pamyu. Then I think he's saying that she has a reliable/level-headed personality and a striking/fantastic/eccentric sense.

Oh, Kyary Pamyu Pamyu does have an eccentric sense alright. For anybody not familiar with who Kyary Pamyu Pamyu is, consider looking up the music video for her "PonPonPon" song... Assuming, of course, that you can handle weird Japanese music videos (...I say that as if there is such a thing as non-weird Japanese music videos).

Soras Teva Gee
2013-03-06, 03:41 PM

-The food is Spanish. (or at least as close as you could get in One Piece)
-There are flamenco dancers.

I don't know if the blind man used DF or Haki, it doesn't relate to what Haki did in the past, and well, the gravity DF power is Blackbeard's (and it seemed gravity to me).

I think a better piece of evidence then the Fairy Tail shout out is that this is relating to Donquixote Doflamingo.

Though it could be both if he's also Pinocchio...

Dscherro
2013-03-06, 05:15 PM

The paella made me consider this, but "Mario" and those living dolls (especially the first one with the missing arm) kinda screamed "Italy" to me.
But of course...

I think a better piece of evidence then the Fairy Tail shout out is that this is relating to Donquixote Doflamingo

Yeah, kinda obvious.

You think he might be one of those dolls?

thethird
2013-03-07, 06:17 AM
Why is Donquixote Doflamingo related with fairy tail? :smallredface:

lord_khaine
2013-03-07, 06:58 AM
Why is Donquixote Doflamingo related with fairy tail?

He isnt, people are just jumping between the FT reference, and the spain reference.

thethird
2013-03-07, 07:46 AM
Ah, shiny, thanks, I thought I was missing something.

AtlanteanTroll
2013-03-07, 03:35 PM
It'd be quite odd for Oda to do a Fairy Tail shout out. Considering the author changed his style considerably for it to be more Oda-like so he could sell more and that he works for a different magazine in no way affiliated with Shueisha.

I also thought the blind man looked a bit like Kizaru.

Soras Teva Gee
2013-03-07, 05:04 PM
That sounds excessively cynical there to me, do we know Oda has issues with Hiro Mashima. Oda seems more like the type to be flattered and embarrassed that he's influencing other artists.

And I've always thought the links between the two rather overstated by fandom. Obviously excluding Gildarts.

chainer1216
2013-03-07, 07:07 PM
I think a better piece of evidence then the Fairy Tail shout out is that this is relating to Donquixote Doflamingo.

so what you're saying is that maybe he was once a puppet-person, who somehow became a real human, maybe from a zoan-type devil fruit, and he now uses the puppet strings that once controlled him to control others...

thats crazy enough to be something oda would think of, i love it.

LaZodiac
2013-03-07, 07:40 PM

so what you're saying is that maybe he was once a puppet-person, who somehow became a real human, maybe from a zoan-type devil fruit, and he now uses the puppet strings that once controlled him to control others...

....that's SO FAR out of left field, I'm now 50/50 on what Doflamingo's fruit is now. I was 100% he was a PAramecia, but by suggesting this, I'm now no longer sure.

Soras Teva Gee
2013-03-07, 10:40 PM
We've got living toys and a puppet string man, I think there's some Pinocchio somewhere we just have to find it.

Or maybe its not there and this is just a broader fairy tale theme.

Oda alone knows all.

Jenfrag
2013-03-08, 12:04 AM
The direct image didn't work since the site breaks images, forcing you to link to the image as you did here.

Yeah right,that's the reason maybe still it's a spoiler! :)

Kato
2013-03-08, 07:04 AM
I also thought the blind man looked a bit like Kizaru.
Glad I'm not the only one seeing things.

That sounds excessively cynical there to me, do we know Oda has issues with Hiro Mashima. Oda seems more like the type to be flattered and embarrassed that he's influencing other artists.

And I've always thought the links between the two rather overstated by fandom. Obviously excluding Gildarts.
Hm... I can't find any hard evidence about their relationship... But from what I know of Oda (or as he appears in public) I feel like agreeing with Soras. Yeah, he's competition. But so is every other author in some way. FT and OP share a lot of similarities but they are different enough for FT to not be a carbon copy.

But... Chopper already ate the human fruit. Maybe Doflamingo is a puppet that ate a Flamingo Fruit.... And he looks human because (????)

Soras Teva Gee
2013-03-08, 10:04 AM
Hm... I can't find any hard evidence about their relationship... But from what I know of Oda (or as he appears in public) I feel like agreeing with Soras. Yeah, he's competition. But so is every other author in some way. FT and OP share a lot of similarities but they are different enough for FT to not be a carbon copy.

I think at that point shonen shares a lot of similarities. (Again except Gildarts, who's not even hiding it)

LaZodiac
2013-03-08, 10:21 AM
But... Chopper already ate the human fruit. Maybe Doflamingo is a puppet that ate a Flamingo Fruit.... And he looks human because (????)

Hito Hito No Mi: Model Puppetmaster (as in, David Xanatos style puppetmaster).

ALTERNATIVELY, since his nickname is Heavenly Spirit, Hito Hito no Mi: Model Yasha.

IncoherentEssay
2013-03-08, 04:04 PM
In the kingdom of toys, the puppeteer is king. How appropriate.

Based on Kuzan's suggestion about detaching the admiralS and Akainu's mention of sending Fujitora to Dressrosa meriting a "!!?" reaction i'd expect that new admirals have been appointed and hopefully we'll see one in action sooner rather than later.
"Tora" can mean tiger right?Seems to fit with the adjective-animal admiral naming scheme. Peerless Tiger sounds nice and admiral-y (relying on oh-so-dependable online dictionaries here though :smalltongue:).

On Mera Mera no Mi, i don't particularly care who/what* exactly eats it as long as it's someone with screen time. I want to see how much the user's quirks & preferences influence what they can do with a Devil Fruit's ability (Usopp's use of the fruit would likely be very different from Sanji's, for example).
Though i am 100% that it won't be anyone who already has an ability (spoilered for semi-baseless speculation):
Though we only have an in-world account of two devil fruits 'clashing' to the detriment of the eater, Teach spent most of his 'career' in piracy laying low just to get this one specific fruit *because* it (and assumedly it alone) can do the impossible of co-existing with another fruit.
Probably because the darkness's 'element' is emptiness: there is nothing to clash with. Adding a third would likely cause it to clash with the second, hence taking considerable risks to get the Gura Gura no Mi (another Logia would likely be overridden by the Yami Yami no Mi, at least as far as the intangibility goes, making it much less useful than it otherwise would be).

The factory wrecking crew is a disaster waiting to happen between everyone being either impetious, easily distracted, having no sense of direction or some combination thereof.
Sanji could otherwise keep the team together and on the task, but on Dressrosa he probably falls into the easily distracted camp due to enviromental factors. This should prove entertaining.

I'd guess Doflamingo's title is a reference to him being from a noble famility before becoming a pirate (likely forfeiting his status as a noble). The whole riches-to-rags-for-adventure! Donquixote thing.

*the Sunny idea is hilariously awesome.

Why is Donquixote Doflamingo related with fairy tail?
I am not familiar with fairy tail but this sounds potentially amusing. Pitch an interesting enough idea and it might just become a thing :smallwink:.

LaZodiac
2013-03-08, 04:33 PM
I'd guess Doflamingo's title is a reference to him being from a noble famility before becoming a pirate (likely forfeiting his status as a noble). The whole riches-to-rags-for-adventure! Donquixote thing.

I'd have to disagree on this part. What we've seen of his child form (as drawn in the question area that Oda sometimes does) he looked quite poor as a child.

IncoherentEssay
2013-03-08, 04:58 PM
Oh. I didn't notice the stitching on the chair before, so it didn't read as poor to me (the chair-in-disrepair and bits of dirt do lean that way, light clothing and shoelessness are neutral wealth-wise in a tropical region imo).

That does put a huge dent in that theory. Poverty might not disqualify anyone from inheriting title but it does make it highly unlikely.

AtlanteanTroll
2013-03-08, 09:08 PM

The art is pretty much of a carbon copy of Oda's. Perhaps if it was a simple influence Oda would be flattered. But Mashima shanged his freaking style to capitalize on One Piece's success. Look at Mashima's series before Fairy Tail. Do it.

I also like the idea that Doflamingo is a puppet who ate some version of the Hito Hito no Mi ... But ... I dunno. I'm still betting on a paramecia of sorts.

Soras Teva Gee
2013-03-10, 08:45 PM
The art is pretty much of a carbon copy of Oda's. Perhaps if it was a simple influence Oda would be flattered. But Mashima shanged his freaking style to capitalize on One Piece's success. Look at Mashima's series before Fairy Tail. Do it.

Umm I have that's why I think they're overstated. You also are offering nothing but speculation on the motives of the respective mangaka.

Even if I accept it as completely true is to capitalize on One Piece that's an old old story when it comes to art work.

AtlanteanTroll
2013-03-10, 09:44 PM
The artist has no other reason to so drastically change his style. And yes, of course it's old as dirt. It still doesn't make it right.

Soras Teva Gee
2013-03-10, 10:22 PM
The artist has no other reason to so drastically change his style. And yes, of course it's old as dirt. It still doesn't make it right.

I beg you to compare early One Piece to modern One Piece even aside from the time skip. Art styles evolve over time for any number of reasons. Nevermind flat out changes like to Nami, Shanks, and most of all Coby for no reason then because Oda wanted too.

And you know what... it is god damn fine to copy the style of someone you like too. Oda liked various celebrities and turned them into the Admirals, Ivankov, Jango, and Brook. A pub owner is the source of Whitebeard right down to his mannerism. Oh and lets not get started on broader themes and ideas where Oda plays with an established style.

Art is all about imitation and there is nothing new under the sun.

You need to make a much better case here then comments about broad styles. Like outright plagiarism via tracing.

AtlanteanTroll
2013-03-11, 05:20 PM
I beg you to compare early One Piece to modern One Piece even aside from the time skip. Art styles evolve over time for any number of reasons. Nevermind flat out changes like to Nami, Shanks, and most of all Coby for no reason then because Oda wanted too.
Oda's style hasn't changed that much. Although yeah, he's made his women even more slender and given them even bigger busts. That's actually the one detractor from his art, IMO. And changing a character's appearance a la Shanks and Coby has nothing to do with a change in style.

And you know what... it is god damn fine to copy the style of someone you like too. Oda liked various celebrities and turned them into the Admirals, Ivankov, Jango, and Brook. A pub owner is the source of Whitebeard right down to his mannerism. Oh and lets not get started on broader themes and ideas where Oda plays with an established style.
No it's not. It makes you a hack. Mashima is a hack. There's a difference between borrowing someone from real life like turning Eminem into Enel or taking the pub guy and making him Whitebeard and just full on ripping from an art style.

Art is all about imitation and there is nothing new under the sun.
Debatable. Everyone has influences, yes. But as stated. Being influenced and changing your style as much as Mashima has are different. I like Mashima's stories just fine. But if you go and read Rave Master then read Fairy Tail, the stylistic art changes are just too much.

Were I too ask both Oda and Mashima to draw a woman that I had a picture of me with, the only difference between them would be how they drew the smile and how proportional her breasts were to her waist.

I am not and will not accuse Mashima of outright fraud, but artistically he's become a lazy hack.

Somewhere
2013-03-11, 05:46 PM
Based on Kuzan's suggestion about detaching the admiralS and Akainu's mention of sending Fujitora to Dressrosa meriting a "!!?" reaction i'd expect that new admirals have been appointed and hopefully we'll see one in action sooner rather than later.

About that... from what I'm hearing from other places, consider the following:
Kuzan's face was based on an actor
Akainu's face was based on an actor
Kizaru's face was based on an actor

And this chapter closes with some action from a guy whose face is based on (the actor portraying) Zatoichi.

Soras Teva Gee
2013-03-11, 08:07 PM
Were I too ask both Oda and Mashima to draw a woman that I had a picture of me with, the only difference between them would be how they drew the smile and how proportional her breasts were to her waist.

Well lets see about that. I'll pull up some modestly similar color spread, both fairly recent so we can compare the present:

One Piece (http://www.zerochan.net/1377064)

Fairy Tail (http://www.zerochan.net/1445970)

Now both are similar a 3/4 angle and a spread of characters. Both use similar coloring techniques, but that almost pastel soft look is far from uncommon. And I'm sure I could come up with art that's farther apart, but I could say the same if I substituted Naruto or DBZ for either party.

Oda is a lot more varied in his designs, and also a lot more doodle/cartoon-ish in his style which one doesn't see a lot of outside of omake stuff with other artists. He also uses a lot of variety in faces, heads, noses, etc.

Hiro's are is more archetypal for the medium. It looks a lot more like what I see if I blankly picture an "anime face" or something. Which is not a good/bad consideration. Also definitely less varied, half the people in the pic have the same chin and nose. If Lucy or Wendy died their hair they could be sisters.

Yet real similarities... umm Luffy and Happy have round eyes?

The hair is drawn differently, body proportions are different, eyes are different, face structure different. So yeah really really really not buying it.

About that... from what I'm hearing from other places, consider the following:
Kuzan's face was based on an actor
Akainu's face was based on an actor
Kizaru's face was based on an actor

And this chapter closes with some action from a guy whose face is based on (the actor portraying) Zatoichi.

Hmm definitely Zatoichi (http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-CVZXwoFaR9s/Tu58G8u8YJI/AAAAAAAAC2c/R11acstYy8s/s1600/zatoichi-1.jpg) assuming google image isn't lying to me. Though he's been played by a bunch of actors apparently so an exact match eluded me in the ten seconds that took to check.

And an Admiral should be able to get around blind if they're a damn Admiral.

AtlanteanTroll
2013-03-11, 11:30 PM
I've done plenty of analysis of the art of both Mashima and Oda on my own. They're way too similar. That's also a bad picture for comparison seeing as how that picture is almost chibi which is not his usual work. (I'll grant you Luffy and Natsu's eyes are different.)

Anyway, It's past midnight now so I'm not going to bother with dragging up examples and I don't really want to bog down the thread with a flame war. All I know is that when I first read Fairy Tail all I could think was "damn, this guy's Luffy with fire powers." Clearly you're allowed to think what you will, but Mashima's a hack in my book and most likely always will be.

Soras Teva Gee
2013-03-12, 01:38 PM
Now if you want to talk about Natsu and Luffy as similar characters in design/writing you can actually have a point. Gildarts proves there is at least some influence in Fairy Tail's DNA. Both Luffy and Natsu do have some broad similarities being fairly hot blooded idiot heroes who value friendship. However those similarities happen in a larger context. Luffy doesn't really have a much of mysterious past for example, and Natsu is not portrayed as much of a leader just a great fighter. Fairy Tail the guild is much harder to match to the Strawhats quite aside from being a crap load bigger, and the Strawhats are without a definite main quintet to match Natsu's group.

Oh they aren't entirely dissimilar but heck let's flip the script. Luffy is now clearly stealing from Natsu, with how he switched his shirt for an open jacket and that sash is clearly like Natsu's whatever thing wears around the waist. Now with that Red Hawk he's clearly stealing Natsu's fire abilities. Or you know not and general similarities are just that.

However all of that is not the charge you made. You charged Hiro's entire style is a "carbon copy" of Oda's. For that to be so it should be something we can find from any particular piece of art, because after all its the underlying style. That's why I selected two pieces with lots of characters and a similar angle, its the exact situation that should demonstrate wholesale style theft because it should help eliminate isolated coincidence.

Somewhere
2013-03-12, 04:16 PM
Oda is sick; no One Piece in the next issue of WSJ (issue #16, 3/18). Which means no One Piece release for most of us tomorrow.

http://shonenjump.com/j/info_onepiece.html

AtlanteanTroll
2013-03-12, 10:57 PM
Poor guy. I wonder how long he was sick for. When you only have a week to do 16 or so pages missing a day probably throws everything off.

lord_khaine
2013-03-19, 04:45 AM
New chapter out

So, it is revealed that the old guy was using some DF, but who he is remains a mystery. Personaly i suspect him of being the former king of the place, or something like that.

Else, thats certainly an interesting way to get rid of a Logia type devil fruit, and it does look like Luffy actualy cares about it.

Kato
2013-03-19, 05:19 AM
Was it revealed? Seemed like just some suggestion to me...
Former king sounds like a reasonable idea but you'd expect people to recognize their former king even if he's aged somewhat. Still, something along the lines would make sense, I guess.

Zoro loses a sword and the party splits... but not much else going on except for setup. Well, since we do have two swordsmen in the party I guess it won't be too hard to get it back...

LaZodiac
2013-03-19, 08:37 AM
My understanding was that the guy they beat up was the guy who had stolen the sword, and they got it back.

lord_khaine
2013-03-19, 09:55 AM
No, that was the whole reason for the party splitting, Zorro running off after his sword, with Sanji and the Samurai following

Somewhere
2013-03-19, 10:19 AM
Oda's ToC comment for issue #17:

"Ooku no minasama ni shinpai to meiwaku wo kake, suimasen. Imada jibun ga muteki no tsumori de imasu."

Oda's apologizing for troubling everyone for worrying about him. He still plans on being invincible/unrivalled.

Kato
2013-03-19, 12:12 PM
Yeah, that scene was kind of confusing... I'm still not sure how some pieces of dialogue fit together. But Franky and Luffy are clearly on their own afterwards so most probably the other three are still after the "fairies".

Fjolnir
2013-03-19, 12:48 PM
I think it's hilarious how many of Ussop's lies and tall tales slowly become "true" over time

lord_khaine
2013-03-19, 02:44 PM
Like the one about the giant seamonster whoose poop is mistaken for little islands?

Fjolnir
2013-03-20, 09:24 AM
yep, among others.

Dusk Eclipse
2013-03-20, 11:52 AM
I think it's hilarious how many of Ussop's lies and tall tales slowly become "true" over time

What lie (prophesy? ) became true this time? I can't remember them all.

Soras Teva Gee
2013-03-27, 08:58 AM
So.... Lucy?

I was half expecting Jackie Chun.

Kato
2013-03-27, 10:32 AM
For a moment there I was wondering if it was a reference to another big Shounen but I guess it's just the most likely name if you start by "Lu..."

I find Sanji's adventures much more interesting, though.

LaZodiac
2013-03-27, 10:34 AM
So.... Lucy?

Same here. He even kinda looks the part!

DiscipleofBob
2013-03-27, 10:36 AM
So.... Lucy?

Nope. No Fairy Tail references here. Intentional or otherwise. Move along now.

Somewhere
2013-03-27, 03:41 PM
Oda's ToC comment for issue #18:
"Shibuya mugiwara stoa ni ittekita. Kodomo no yorokobu gimikku no kazukazu ga ii kanjii."

Oda went to the Mugiwara Store in Shibuya. The second sentence is something about... him having a good feeling about the numerous gimmicks for children.

This store opened last year in... late September or early October.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2012-09-27/one-piece-manga-1st-permanent-store-opens-in-tokyo

http://www.mugiwara-store.com/

AtlanteanTroll
2013-03-27, 04:48 PM
So it's really growing on me. Zoro's moustache that is. Anyway, good chapter. Luffy is his usual self. The Toy Soldier is interesting and I like this Violet woman. She and Sanji already have a great dynamic.

Soras Teva Gee
2013-03-27, 08:41 PM
Same here. He even kinda looks the part!

More then kinda with that hair and that outfit Lucy and appearing at a tournament its a pretty obvious shout out. To Dragonball.

LaZodiac
2013-03-27, 08:54 PM
More then kinda with that hair and that outfit Lucy and appearing at a tournament its a pretty obvious shout out. To Dragonball.

Well yes, I know the shout out. Sadly Luffy is not secretly a horribly powerful dragon lord. Although he IS the son of one :smalltongue:

Soras Teva Gee
2013-03-27, 08:56 PM
I think if Lucy looked into the full moon his beard would fall off and he'd turn into a monkey.

Fjolnir
2013-03-27, 11:24 PM
Monkey D. Luffy = Best Dovahkiin Ever!!!

Soras Teva Gee
2013-03-28, 08:26 AM
Its clearly what D. stands for.

AtlanteanTroll
2013-03-30, 01:32 PM
So his dad is Monkey Dragon Dragon? Uhhh ... :smalltongue:

darksolitaire
2013-03-30, 02:12 PM
So his dad is Monkey Dragon Dragon? Uhhh ... :smalltongue:

Seems...not impossible. Bonus points of he's eaten Dragon Dragon no Mi. :smalltongue:

lord_khaine
2013-03-31, 05:30 PM
I think the general consensus is that his power is weatherbased?

darksolitaire
2013-03-31, 05:45 PM
That's true, and dragon fruit would go to Momosuke anyway. But weather and dragons (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_dragon#Ruler_of_weather_and_water) do mix somewhat.

AtlanteanTroll
2013-03-31, 10:38 PM
Wait, what? Where did the idea that Dragon had a Weather based DF come from? I've never heard any such theory and am quite intrigued.

chainer1216
2013-03-31, 11:30 PM
Wait, what? Where did the idea that Dragon had a Weather based DF come from? I've never heard any such theory and am quite intrigued.

really? go back and watch his first appearance in logue town, the lightning bolt that saves Luffy from buggy, the sudden and strange onset of the storm that even freaks Nami out and the huge wind that just HAPPENS to save the strawhats from the marines.

AtlanteanTroll
2013-03-31, 11:33 PM
So random happenings are the basis for DF theory's now? I get that it was raining but that's a pretty lame theory. :smallsigh:

chainer1216
2013-03-31, 11:43 PM
*shrugs* this is one piece, there's no such thing as "random" unless luffy is the one acting.

slight edit after looking at the wiki: is seems that whenever dragon is seen outside theres either a storm in the distance or one already there.

"So far, the few times he was seen in the series outside of Baltigo, there was always at least the suggestion of a storm coming, if not one already there. This happened when he saved Luffy in Loguetown,[12] at Gol D. Roger's execution,[3] and in Goa Kingdom.[8] However, Baltigo has been shown to be very windy."

so at the very least he has a storm motif.

AtlanteanTroll
2013-03-31, 11:45 PM
*shrugs* this is one piece, there's no such thing as "random" unless luffy is the one acting.

Not every single thing in One Piece is a Chekov's Gun.

lord_khaine
2013-04-01, 04:42 AM
So random happenings are the basis for DF theory's now? I get that it was raining but that's a pretty lame theory.

There is a difference between random happenings, and the insanely unlikely coincidences in Lougetown.

And they stop being insanely unlikely if Dragon just happens to have weatherbased powers.

Kato
2013-04-01, 06:56 AM
I'll have to agree with the majority... I think it's if not generally accepted, the most popular theory that Dragon controls the weather. The incidents in Loguetown are just way too much in the Strawhats favor to be random happenings. Maybe we are wrong, but it's a reasonable theory.

Soras Teva Gee
2013-04-01, 08:10 AM
There was also that gust of wind phenomena in the flashback arc, also with Dragon involved.

LaZodiac
2013-04-01, 10:06 AM
So random happenings are the basis for DF theory's now? I get that it was raining but that's a pretty lame theory. :smallsigh:

It's less that it's random, and more that everything just so happens to help the Straw Hats escape. Also, the fact that he is explicitly watching what is happening. We can sort of assume that, as Luffy's father, he'd do SOMETHING to help him out. If he had weather control powers, it's fairly clear that he DID.

Not every single thing in One Piece is a Chekov's Gun.

You SAY that, but keep in mind all the OTHER stuff that has happened where you could realistically say that.

Now, yes, there is ALWAYS the chance that it IS just a coincidence. But this is the same series that has foreshadowed Haki all the way back in the first few chapters (when one could realistically say "oh, it's not some special powers, Shanks just scared it, it's a coincidence that these other people are also able to scare people by looking at them").

AtlanteanTroll
2013-04-01, 11:06 AM
Storms being present whenever Dragon shows up is a much better indicator then Loguetown and Loguetown alone. It'd be freaking awesome if he had a mythic zoan related to dragons and the weather as darksolitaire pointed out was a possibility.

Fjolnir
2013-04-01, 01:56 PM
Honestly what better way to represent the winds of change and the turning of the tide away from the WG than to have a rebellion leader literally able to do such things?

Also that first example of Haki was surprising because many works have the idea of focused killing intent or something similar through which the beasts cower away from a man without the man being purposefully intimidating.

LaZodiac
2013-04-01, 02:09 PM
Honestly what better way to represent the winds of change and the turning of the tide away from the WG than to have a rebellion leader literally able to do such things?

Also that first example of Haki was surprising because many works have the idea of focused killing intent or something similar through which the beasts cower away from a man without the man being purposefully intimidating.

Exactly, which is why at the time suggesting it's actually an in universe power would be silly.

Soras Teva Gee
2013-04-01, 02:22 PM
It seems more then plausible but probable that Dragon has some kind of weather powers.

And a Paramecia is easily the most likely. The other types seem more body centered to me. Course Nami can also control the weather so we know its not the only possibility, its apparent subtlety could just be a magic show on Dragon's part. And in all seriousness I suspect Oda is a at least a little more creative then giving Dragon a dragon fruit especially already having one around.

(I suspect the "failure" of Momosuke's fruit is that it was an actual Devil Fruit not an artificial one, sure a Mythic Zoan is great but not when you are trying to mass produce 'em)

I'm just waiting for the confirmation that Dragon isn't Garp's son, but like Gendo took his wife's name.