PDA

View Full Version : (Too) Good Omens - IC 3 - The cave and beyond

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Leriel
2013-01-29, 03:57 AM
Here's the party:

{table=head]No.|Player|PC|Class|Sheet

1|Metroid33|Shefri|Sorcerer||

2|TheTick|Victor White|Sorcerer|http://www.honkifyoulovejustice.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Victor-White.pdf|

3|The_Shaman|Lao Taidim|Monk||

4|PhilMeyer|Nathor Thalestan|Fighter|***Currently NPC***|

5|Starbin|Felgor|Cleric (Forgemaster)||

6|Chained Birds|Ren The Sharp|Barbarian||

[/table]

Leriel
2013-01-29, 04:03 AM
Dragon, 14th - late morning

It's late... all of you had a long night - someone drinking, someone out on the streets partying, someone sleeping after a long travel.

Nevertheless, you wake up at the sound of a trumpet - and you hear someone speaking loud. Really loud - probably aided by some magic.
"We, royal messenger, speak for the king! As for each year - this is the message for all the gem bearer: gater this afternoon outside the gates, so you will join the caravan to he Cave of Omens!"

You hear this message lot of times, there are a lot of these royal messenger in the city...

TheTick
2013-01-29, 09:23 AM
Victor nearly falls out of bed at the noise. "I'm awake, I'm awake!" He shouts, before realizing the noise is from outside. Stumbling into the common room in search of food, he will sit with his companions from the previous days while eating.

After, he will gather as instructed.

Chained Birds
2013-01-29, 09:54 AM
Ren

Ren awakes (Somewhere) and is suffering from a painful hangover, even more painful due to all of the loud noises all of a sudden. It takes her a bit of time to recover, so she bashes her head against a building wall to knock the hangover away. Somehow this works for her.

"Ouch... So... What was I supposed to do today?...
Cave of something... Or something... Something about Sir Stone-(something) going over to stay with a Dashing Swordsman... What?"

She wanders around aimlessly trying to find her bearings.

Metroid33
2013-01-29, 09:55 AM
Shefri awakes suddenly to the sound of the the messengers. The night before floods into his head. He remembers the girl and stretches his hand out to pull her closer. "Good morning Jacqueline, least I believe that was your name, right?" Shefri then plops his head down on the cobblestone, clutching it with his hand as a head ache splits his brain in two.

The_Shaman
2013-01-29, 10:06 AM
Lao

The dark green ophiduan rises slowly from his meditative position, and stretches to an impressive height as he mutters words in a strange tongue that seem to thrum in the air. Only then does he open his eyes, and readies himself to go out. He puts on the new boots he received yesterday, nodding to himself as they seem to wrap around his legs and change shape to better suit his feet and his skin.

He then lays a set of well-made tarot cards before him in a somewhat spiral-like pattern, and with careful movements turns some of them towards himself. He looks at them for a full minute before turning them back down, shuffling them and putting them back in the lacquered wooden box.

"Cave of omens. This was the place, yes." he says, quietly, and then he goes downstairs. He settles his account with the innkeeper, asks for directions to the gate and goes out. As he walks, he notices a curious sight... a strange creature, akin to both a woman and a large cat. It appeared confused. Fitting, considering such a strange pedigree. "You seem to be lost, feline one. Where are you looking to go?" he asks in a strange, melodic and just slightly hissing voice.

Starbin
2013-01-29, 12:58 PM
Just finishing his morning prayers, Felgor paused his preparations for the day to listen to the announcement. Nodding to himself, he returned to his efforts - attending to his armor and weapons with meticulous care. After an hour, he took some time to study the notes he had taken in Cherudek's domain, then finally rose to put on his armor and gather his items.

It was noon by the time Felgor had finished, with nothing to eat but a few bites of rations. With his gear stowed and ready to travel, Felgor stomped down the stairs - not in anger or to be annoying, but because the dwarf knew of no other way to walk. Reaching the dinning area, he ordered lunch, wondering if he would see Ren this morning. His last sight of the cat-woman was her dancing, drinking and playing a tamborine ... all at the same time. If fate deemed it, he supposed she would turn up again later.

After lunch, he figured he would gather his mule and head towards the gate, for the trip to the cave. Today might certainly proved to be exciting!

Spells
0 - Detect Magic, Create Water, Guidance, Light
1 - Comprehend Languages, Lead Blades, Protection from Evil
2 - Share Language, Resist Energy
Domain - Animate Rope, Wood Shape

Leriel
2013-01-30, 03:27 AM
Jacqueline seems to enjoy the presence of Shefri:
"Mmm... Morning Shefri... please, hug me..."

Then suddenly a royal messenger speaks again. She hears him and she jumps up!
"AHHHHHHHH! I'm late! It's the 14th and I'm late! Master Hora will kill me!"

She kisses Shefri, she takes his hands, blushing, then she says:
"I'm sorry... I don't know if we'll meet again... Thanks for last night!"

Then she run as someone is chasing her, toward the center of the city.

Shefri is still struggling with his headache to be able to stop her...
He looks at her going away and he sees Lao, in the distance, speaking to a strange feline creature.

Also, he finds a bracelet on the ground - something belonging to the girl!

Leriel
2013-01-30, 10:22 AM
Ok a short recap:

- Victor went downstair for breakfast, but he did not find Lao or Shefri.
Foxglove is wearing a black robe and her hair are braided.
Jaikine is tired from last night (the tavern were full of customer). She informs Victor that Lao already went out and Shefri did not come back this night. Then she kisses Victor, wishing him a good voyage.

- Lao is speaking with Ren. Shefri just spotted them.

- Felgor just reached the city gates - there is a lot of people, and a gazebo with a banner saying "Gem Bearers". You see some people already under it.

Ok, let's wait for Lao, Ren and Shefri, then I'll start describing the scene outside the city gates :smallwink:

Metroid33
2013-01-30, 10:35 AM
Pocketing the bracelet Shefri props himself up and jumps into a walk. Seeing the serpent man talking to someone. The alcohol from last night was still in effect. He for a moment saw the snake man swallowing the feline. But then snapped out of this twisted Idea. "Morning there Lao How was you night?"

Chained Birds
2013-01-30, 10:54 AM
Ren

"You seem to be lost, feline one. Where are you looking to go?" he asks in a strange, melodic and just slightly hissing voice.

"What might you be?"

She says with a slightly bored expression.

"Morning there Lao How was you night?"

"Who are you?"

She then looks around before grabbing her head and screaming towards the Heavens,

"WHERE AM I?!"

The_Shaman
2013-01-30, 02:21 PM
Lao

"I am Lao. " the snakeman says with a polite voice and a slight nod towards the catwoman, then adds. "Formerly of Vahrast. And what might you be this morning?" She seems distracted. Maybe a result of her feline side; perhaps she is the result of wizardly meddling or biomagic experimentation.

The ophiduan's tone is neutral, and his hands are wrapped in a wide sash that also holds the scabbard for a strange curved sword. He is quite tall and lean, with small green scales and a darker crest on the top of his head. He looks humanoid, with some obvious - and some subtler signs of his ophiduan ancestry.

He tilts his head to one side at her impassioned outburst. He makes a step towards her, his head coming quite close as he studies her for any obvious wounds or any other physical trauma. "In the city of Omen. There seems to be an imbalance in your spirit. May I recommend tea?"

TheTick
2013-01-30, 04:45 PM
Victor heads to the Gem Bearers banner, keeping an eye out for Lao and Shefri, and people-watching otherwise.

Metroid33
2013-01-30, 05:27 PM
"I am Shefri Albadwin of the desert sind, and as my friend here has just stated you are in the city of omen, I remember seeing you last night at the party, playing your tambourine." Then shefri looks towards Lao and says "We should be moving towards the caravan departure point, if we have to we can bring her along. If she doesn't remember where she is the she must be new here, the most likely reason for her to come here is for the prophecies." After saying this Shefri pounds his own head into the wall, he noticed the cat women doing it and wondered if it might help. "Sorry, Hangover."

Chained Birds
2013-01-30, 05:47 PM
Ren

"Oh... Oh... I get it now."

She get a bit flustered by all of the attention,

"I apologize for my outburst Regal Scaled One. You probably get asked that a lot."

She then looks around.

"Omen... I believe I was heading to a cave. Should be a good idea to partner with you two.
I am Ren The Sharp. Call me by my Title and never by my name without permission."

Ren seems interested in following Lao and Shefri.

Metroid33
2013-01-30, 07:23 PM
Shefri then whispers to Lao "See I told you so."

The_Shaman
2013-01-30, 07:25 PM
Lao

The snakeman looks at the two banging their heads on the walls with a neutral expression. "Does it help?" he says with a friendly, curious tone.

"Of course, it would be a blessing to have your company, and what talents you may have," he nods at the catwoman, his eyes incidentally lingering on any weapons, tools or other marks of her trade . "Though I must admit, I find your taste for names intriguiging. Is it a part of your people's culture?"

Chained Birds
2013-01-30, 07:27 PM
Ren

"Why were you banging your head against the wall earlier Mr. Albadwin? Hurting yourself won't resolve your problems."

She grasps his hands and gives him a sympathetic look,

"Things will get better. Just look at the bright side of life."

She then grabs her Tambourine and begins playing it; all the while whistling a somber yet upbeat song.

OOC: This Song (http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=u2UP86bciVA), but with Whistling as the vocals, and Tambourine as the instruments.

TheTick
2013-01-30, 07:41 PM
Victor is restless, and wanders along the path leading to the place where the other gem bearers are gathering. When he spots Lao and Shefri, Victor walks up to them. "I see you all are none the worse for wear after the partying." He jerks his chin toward the Catfolk. "Picking up strays now, I see."

Chained Birds
2013-01-30, 08:00 PM
Ren

"Picking up strays now, I see."

"Can't stop my joy today Commoner."

She continues her whistling and playing as she ignores the unwanted guest.

Leriel
2013-01-31, 03:18 AM
Ok, all of you reached the city gates and the gazebo.

Felgor spots Ren, speaking with three other gem bearers (they look like a snake-man and two men).

While he tries to reach them, a royal messenger (standing on a pedestal) starts speaking:

"Greetings, oh Gem bearers. Greeting from our kind King.
You are finally here: this is the place! This is the starting place of the caravan!"
The crowd is shouting and clapping, led by the messenger.
"So, we just need to make sure that you are really gem bearers."
Some small laughters from the crowd.
"Do you see the green gazebos? Go to one of these and show the shard with the rune, so that the priests and the scribes can validate them. It will take a minute... and then you will be ready for the voyage!"
Again, the crowd is shouting.
"So, go to the green gazebos... our scribes are waiting for you!"

Metroid33
2013-01-31, 05:49 AM
"Alright then here you go," Shefri says as he pulls out his Lapis Lazul and hands it to the scribe , after a short moment the scribe waves him to move on, realizing that it's a real shard.

The_Shaman
2013-01-31, 06:00 AM
Lao

Ah, the ... other one, the warrior, had also arrived. How fortunate that they had found each other so quickly in this town.

"This reminds me of a story about a Fanasee and a fish, a parable from my hometown. A very educating story, really. Also contains a very good recipe."

((is Ren actually any good at playing the tambourine?))

He nods and heads towards the city gates. Once there, he listens carefully, and shakes his head. "Why would we just pretend to be the gem-bearers? It would be a waste of time at best, dangerous at worst... Ah, very well, I will adhere to your ceremonies of selection."

Chained Birds
2013-01-31, 06:15 AM
Ren

Perform (Percussion): [roll0]
- Maybe

Ren presents a bunch of stuff she has collected up to this point, not really knowing what gem they were referring to. She even presents a piece of Adamantine to her Scribe. Though the Scribe eventually finds what he is looking for.
Ren then goes over to Felgor,

"Greetings Sir Stoneheart. Do you wish to sell our assortment of items here today?"

She refers to the stack of Adamantine Felgor's beast of burden is (most likely) carrying.

TheTick
2013-01-31, 07:31 AM
Victor fishes the rock out from his robe and shows one of the scribes. Once passed through, he will try and stay near to Lao and Shefri, but far enough away to not hear the tambourine.

Leriel
2013-01-31, 08:17 AM
OOC - I'd really like to hear the "story about a Fanasee and a fish, a parable from my hometown. A very educating story, really. Also contains a very good recipe." :smallwink:

"Alright then here you go," Shefri says as he pulls out his Lapis Lazul and hands it to the scribe , after a short moment the scribe waves him to move on, realizing that it's a real shard.

As Shefri pulls out his gem, he hears a short "Gasp!"...
Jacqueline is one of the scribes at the green gazebo!
"Shefri!?!? Are you a gem bearer?!?!"

The_Shaman
2013-01-31, 10:41 AM
Lao

The snakeman fishes up a small gemstone from somewhere inside his sash, and presents it for inspection. "I believe this is the kind of gem you are looking for."

Metroid33
2013-01-31, 11:02 AM
"Oh so this is why you ran off. You left something you know," Shefri then fished into his pouch again and pulled out the bracelet. "At least I believe this is yours"

Leriel
2013-01-31, 11:10 AM
Jacqueline blushes and thanks Shefri.
Then, when the other scribe is speaking to another gem bearer, she whispers to Shefri:

"I will be on the caravan, as apprentice of Master Hora... Search for me this evening, when the caravan will make its first stop..."

She blinks to Shefri, she blushes again and then she checks for another gem bearer.

Starbin
2013-01-31, 11:26 AM
Felgor was going to walk over and say hello to Ren when the Royal Messenger started squawking. Sighing, he stepped into a line, waiting patiently for his turn. When his time came, the dwarf stepped forward, smiling at the scribe. "Mornin' lass. Yer needin' t'see me shard, eh? Here ye go ..." Felgor handed over the shard, which was wrapped in a small polishing cloth. He waited while they determined the validity of the stone.

I'll make a leap of faith that the stone is good ... :smallsmile:

Once the scribe returned the stone, he took the opportunity to find Ren ... or rather, she found him. "Greetings Sir Stoneheart. Do you wish to sell our assortment of items here today?" Felgor nodded to her. "Nice t'see ya, lass. D'ye think there be merchants here? A smith, or what passes fer ones here, might offer ye better value."

Glancing at anyone accompanying the cat woman, Felgor would nod his head in greeting.

(OOC - Felgor's description, if you're interested: Felgor is young, by dwarven standards, and of the normal stature for his kind. Bright green eyes peer out from his red locks; his skin is almost ruddy in hue; his beard braided into twin strands that remain tucked in his belt.

He carries a longaxe, designed to fight giants, and wears mail to protect his hide. On his chest is the symbol of his god, a hammer and anvil. His pack holds most of his gear, but he leads a mule that carries some of the heavier items for him. He can always drop the unecessary items in times of need.

Leriel
2013-02-01, 02:59 AM
All of the gem bearers passed the green gazebos - you see that you are about 15. Another royal messenger ask you to gather under a tent, where you hear a boring speech of greetings on behalf of the king.

Finally you can go to the caravan: there are four big wagons (each wagon is pulled by four horses).

Lao, Victor and Shefri hear a familiar voice:
"You're assigned to the third wagon, pals. The first is for guards and supply, the second is for scribes and the last two are for gem bearers."

That's Nathor, wearing his guard uniform, with his strange weapon on his back.
"I'm helping the scribes packing their stuff... I think we will leave in an hour. We will see this evening, for dinner."
Then he adds:
"Victor... the clerics will cast a strange spell in order to speed up the travel. Maybe you could be interested at looking at it."

Some servant and some guards helps the gem bearers, explaining more or less the same things told by Nathor.

Lao, Victor, Shefri, Ren and Felgor will go together. Also, there a couple of men with dark skin (one bald and dressed just with a loincloth, another with a strange bone armor and with feathers in his long hair). Finally, there is a female halfling - dressed as a trapper.

TheTick
2013-02-01, 07:54 AM
"Victor... the clerics will cast a strange spell in order to speed up the travel. Maybe you could be interested at looking at it."

"Sure, might be fun. Just as long as I don't miss my ride."

Lao, Victor, Shefri, Ren and Felgor will go together. Also, there a couple of men with dark skin (one bald and dressed just with a loincloth, another with a strange bone armor and with feathers in his long hair). Finally, there is a female halfling - dressed as a trapper.

"Quite the motley bunch."

Metroid33
2013-02-01, 08:02 AM
Lying down in the bed of the cart Shefri waits for them to reach the first stop, eager to see Jacqueline again. A smile spreads across his face, and this ttimme no alcohol for Shefri, not tonight.

The_Shaman
2013-02-01, 10:04 AM
Lao

The snakeman walks alongside the wagon silently, his gaze seemingly adrift on the horizon. He makes a strange sound as he travels - it sounds a bit like a melody, whispered through an inhuman mouth.

Starbin
2013-02-01, 10:30 AM
Felgor walked over to the wagon he was assigned to, nodding at the drivers. "Heya, laddie, kin ye help tie Stubborn t'yer wagon?" He gestured to the mule he was leading by a rope. "I cannae leave 'im behind ..."

Once Stubborn was taken care of, Felgor found a spot to sit on the wagon, nodding to the others joining them. "Mornin' all. Name's Felgor Stoneheart, Rune-brother o' Moradin. But call me Felgor." He smiled with a glance at Ren. "Looks like ye met the lass. What be yer names and where d'ye hail from?"

Felgor was polite, making small talk as the caravan moved along.

Leriel
2013-02-01, 10:48 AM
@Victor: you manage to see the priests beginning their spell: it's a sort of cooperative spell, since they start singing an hymm together, until a road appears in the middle of the forest... then you board the wagon.

@Felgor: Stubborn is properly tied to the wagon :smallsmile:
The halfling girl nods at Felgor, smiling:
"Hello Felgor! My name's Irlana. I come from the forest of Darkwood... I found a gem while I was emptying some traps... so here I am!"

The bald, black skinned man looks at Felgor, making some gestures.
The other man with the bone armor looks at Felgor and speaks with a low voice:
"Strong-Arm is greeting you, dwarf. He is mute - but I can understand him. I am the Witch Doctor, so I have no more my name. We come from the south. Strong-Arm is a powerful warrior, but I command spirits. Don't mess with us and you will have no trouble."
Strong-Arm smiles... his teeth are pointed.
Witch Doctor goes on carving some wood.

Irlana looks at Felgor... with a scared face :smallwink:

Starbin
2013-02-01, 11:14 AM
Felgor smiled at the halfling lass as she spoke, but he remembered one of his mother's warnings about halflings - 'Friendly as a fluffer rat, but twice as sneaky. Give ya th'shirt of their back, while helpin' themselves ta th'gold in yer pockets ...' Hopefully it was a simply euphamism!

To the mute and his spokesman, Felgor nodded his head solemnly. "Ah've no need t'be messin' wit you or yer friend. Nice t'meet ye both." When the man showed his sharpened teeth, he nodded, unimpressed given the weapons Ren had displayed during their initial encounter with the winged golems.

He leaned closer to the witch doctor, ignoring the smile from Strong Arm, staring at the bone armor. "Now how did ye come t'makin' that? It cannae be stronger than metal, but it'll weigh just as much ..."

Appraise: [roll0]; Using Craft (Armor) as sort of a knowledge check: [roll1]

Leriel
2013-02-01, 11:30 AM
OOC - nice rolls Felgor! The armor looks a messy set of bones, held together by some miracle :smallsmile:

Witch Doctor looks at Felgor with a strange light in his eyes... then, after some long seconds (but they looked a longer time, due to the cold that just seemed to surround Witch Doctor...), he replies:
"What is protecting me? The bones? No, Rune Brother. Not the bones."

He touches the armor and goes on:
"It's the spirit of the creatures that I killed - that's still in the bones. And there is no metal... stronger that the spirit of the creatures bonded to my will... They will protect me, since this is my bidding."

Starbin
2013-02-01, 11:39 AM
Felgor nodded sagely, sitting back in his seat. He was no stranger to using magic to fortify armor or weapons, but what the witch doctor was talking about seemed more like enslavement ... or necromancy. Either way, it was not his cup of tea, nor specialty.

"Well, may the spirit serve ye well ... and protect ye better then it protected itself!"

Turning slightly to the side, he gave the halfling lass a little wink before pulling out a small cloth and working on polishing a small piece of metal.

So, should I tempt fate, and try some more skills? Why not! KS (Arcana) or (Religion): [roll0] ...and Spellcraft: [roll]1d20+6]

(PS - Die roller, let's keep this cordial ... I've got my eye on you!)

TheTick
2013-02-01, 12:24 PM
Victor sighs. He hopes the trip will be quick. To pass the time he pulls out his 'spellbook' and begins drawing caricatures of Strong-Arm and the witch doctor.

The_Shaman
2013-02-01, 01:39 PM
Lao

Lao's, for lack of better words, humming, becomes more pronounced, and he eventually whispers the words to an old song he picked up somewhere along the way. The melody is strangely reminiscent of the one the catwoman was playing (badly).

This is story, and I swear I shan’t lie
About a pet shop owner called Finsky McGrie
Or, since Finskly so early lost his own life
About Marna, his bonny long-suffering wife
Marna was a widow, carpenter by trade
Doors, beams, tables and chairs oft she made
But trade became slow, and meals became scarce
The foodstuff in her stew oft was quite sparse

Her husband left many a memory and child
Yet laughter is not food, no matter how wild.
And while widow McGrie was no wasteful maid
It was hard to keep children clothed, and the bills - paid.
One even, she sat there, after a slow day
When no business was made, and her tools unused lay,
Yet the kids would be home, Bill, Wendy and Tod,
Would soon come back to home, with hand-me-downs shod.

They would then be hungry, and food she had none
She anguished and cried, and wished she were gone.
Then she saw Finsky’s own gift, goldfish in a bowl,
As the fish swam about, knowing sorrow not at all.
So she gazed at the heavens, both saddened and glad,
For just then an idea about dinner she had.
If there were any against it, they said truly naught,
As then shortly the dozen small fish were then caught.

Soon put in clearer water, with some ginger for smell
And tomato, fresh onion, basil put in as well.
Some old carrots and leek she too put in the bowl
And soon soup was ready for the family whole.
Tod, Bill and Wendy soon came back home
And soon young Tod saw that the fish were now none.

“Mother, “ he cried “Mom, where are dad’s fish?”
“Poor darlings died,” she said “ Though I wish
You had kept them bit better, not left there for days.”
And the kids sighed and cried, but she soon found her ways,
To bring them to good spirits with a wonderful stew.
And that night in her lone bed, as upon dream’s wings she flew
She saw good old dead Finsky, laughing his fill,
“Woman, what took you so long for that meal?”

He carried on, seemingly oblivious to his companions, until the dwarf asked them to talk about himself. "I am Lao, " he said, plainly. "And greetings to you all. I found my gem on one of my travels - I imagine so did you?"

Chained Birds
2013-02-01, 01:46 PM
Ren

"I'd... Rather not say where I got my stone..."

Ren nervously whistles away while staring off into the distance.

Metroid33
2013-02-01, 08:27 PM
Shefri's eyes closed he speaks to no one specific saying I found mine in a tomb, nestled in the eye socket of a skeleton. The worst part of it was when I grabbed it, the skeleton grabbed my wrist." He then put his hands behind his head as a pillow. He then lies and thinks to himself figuring the spell that sped the travel would slow time inside of the carriages, or a bubble around the carriages.

To pass the time he ignites his hand, passing the flame from one hand to the other, changing it's color and keeping it far away from others stuff.

Leriel
2013-02-04, 03:14 AM
The travel is quite boring - nothing of interest happens.

Finally the caravan stops, and a guard inform you that you will camp here for the night.

You finally are out - and the guards place the wagons in order to form a square. They lights four fires for the night and inform you that the dinner will be served soon - some servant will bring it to you :smallwink:

The sun goes down... and you are gathered round the fire, most for its light than for the cold - since it's a nice summer night.

You almost finish to eat (nothing special - dry food and some vegetable stew)... when you see a little child (a 7-8 years old girl) coming near you.

"Hello! My name is Lain."
She makes a little bow.
"Are you real adventurers?" she says.

She wears quite expensive dresses and she has long brown hair.

Metroid33
2013-02-04, 08:18 AM
Looking at the little girl Shefri says "Well I guess you could call us that. Why are you wondering?" He then puts his hands on his knees and leans down so his face is closer to her level.

Starbin
2013-02-05, 01:06 AM
As the others shared their stories, Felgor smiled. "Me own story wasn't nearly as excitin'. It was a pain in the arse ... literally! Twas' pokin' in me backside, and woke me up."

For the remainder of the day's traveling, Felgor busied himself with polishing the bit of metal he had and watching the world pass by. Eventually, the caravan stopped for the evening, setting up camp for the night. Felgor took the opportunity to wander the perimeter, nodding to the workers and guards taking care of everything.

Soon, the night depended, an,d the dwarf returned to the fires where Ren and the others sat. After a hearty, if plain, meal, Felgor leaned back again his pack, wondering about what omen he would find in the cave. When the young girl in the pretty dress approached, he smiled, watching the one who commanded fire engage her. He remained silent for a moment, letting Shefri continue the conversation.

KS: Nobility - [roll0] ... just in case she's someone of importance :smallsmile:

Leriel
2013-02-05, 02:56 AM
@Felgor - she's not a noble lady... but nice guess :smallwink:

Lain replies to Shefri:
"Well... it's soooo boring sitting at the fire of the scribes... and uncle said that adventurers have lots of funny things to tell... Can you tell me a nice story?"

"You are right, my little niece" says a middle-aged man approacing, with a big smile on his face.
He puts his left hand on the head of the girl, messing her hair.
"I'm Hari Seldon... but call me Hari. Scribe and amateur inventor. And you already met my little niece Lain... Didn't I tell you to stay with Jacqueline?" he says to the girl.

"Oh, uncle Hari... she's boring... please... she just speaks of this Shefri here, Shefri there..."

The_Shaman
2013-02-05, 04:23 AM
Lao looks down, as he usually does... then further down, until he sees the little one. "My name is Lao, little one. I am a seeker."

He looks at her with no great interest, and takes another bite as Shefri talks to her. The mention of Jacqueline talking only about him makes him tilt his head as he examines the ifrit. "Are you supposed to be famous? I did not know."

Starbin
2013-02-05, 04:31 AM
Felgor smiled again, to himself, curious as to how this Shefri would deal with his new-found fame.

Metroid33
2013-02-05, 06:03 AM
A grin spreading across Shefris face he say to the little girl "Well then Lain My name is Shefri and I don't think I'm THAT boring of a subject." He then ran his hand through his hair and a small flame flickered out of it.

Leriel
2013-02-05, 06:11 AM
Lain makes an "ohhh" with her mouth... then she starts singing...
"Shefri and Jacqueline, sitting in a tree, they are KI..."

...but she's interrupted by a running, panting, blushed Jacqueline (more red than Shefri!) that arrives and puts her hands on the child's mouth :smallbiggrin:

Hari speaks to her, blinking:
"Here you are, young one... I asked you to take a look at Lain... You find her, finally!"

Then he asks to Jacqueline in a stern way:
"Give me a good reason not to let you baby-sitting Lain the whole evening and night..." (and he blinks at Shefri :smallwink:)

Metroid33
2013-02-05, 06:25 AM
Standing up to be on level with the adults Shefri isn't quite sure if he should say anything and but in between these two. Finally thinking up with an idea he says, "Well you could leave lain with us and then lain will find how absolutely boring I am (*Wink wink*) or she could be watched by you and spend her night hearing the more thrilling stories from my friends here. I'm not that great at telling stories unless I right them down the minute after it happened."

Chained Birds
2013-02-05, 06:52 AM
Ren

"I... I had a few stories..."

Ren twirls her fingers, having not spoken throughout most of the meet'n greet.

The_Shaman
2013-02-05, 07:42 AM
"It isn't too late," Lao mentions, off-handedly. "If there is rain to sing, the ground will listen."

Chained Birds
2013-02-05, 09:31 AM
Ren

"Well..."

Ren shifts her gaze all over the place,

"When I was but a kitten, I had two good friends. A heroic crybaby Human named Hero (Real name Johnny) and a boring Undine named Shark (His actual name).
Shark and I were always playing around, although he always called me annoying and would beat me up whenever I got a bit too reckless. Hero was always hanging by the sidelines and getting dragged along with our little adventures throughout the slums. Hero was a nice kid, who never really liked fighting but would constantly go home with a black eye (I might have been the cause for many of those :smalltongue:).
One day, all three of us got in trouble and were going to be punished for all the little misdeeds we'd done (Hero was guilty by association); though we were spared by an old man. He was going to teach us how to contain our behavior by training us under three different fighting styles. I learned Sharp Point, Shark learned Open Palm, and Hero learned Clenched Fist.
We trained because it sounded interesting and... we really didn't have much choice in the matter due to the guards always breathing down our necks. Didn't help much that Hero's parents were the the leaders of the town guard. But in the end, we had fun.
We would still fight, I mean spar, from time to time (Shark always won!) and we even did some good for the city by taking down local bandits. Our parents were proud, and even Hero started living up to his name for once (Still went home with black eyes though. Seriously, the guy looked like a Raccoon most of the time). But are good times would come to a close.
Shark was the first to go, saying he had something he wanted to do and could accomplish it inside such a "narrow world" or something like that. Hero then left to become an epic hero and defeat some demon lord or something silly. And then I left alone...
But now I'm here... And here is good I guess. I do hope to meet my boring friend and my crybaby friend once again... I hope they are okay.
I really want to give Hero another black eye! He left with such a stupid grin on!"

Leriel
2013-02-05, 09:56 AM
"That was a nice story!" says Lain. "Tell me more, Sharp one!"
Hari nods and says to Jacqueline:
"You are free... Thanks to this kind catfolk!" and he bows to Ren.

Then he turns to Lao:
"My greetings, ophidian... a follower of the Way of the Unseen, I suppose?"

Starbin
2013-02-05, 10:15 AM
Felgor had watched with amusement until matter the innuendo grew greater and greater. He had found that children made incredible intuitive leaps when unsuitable subject was being bantied about. Whren Shefri offered to 'babysit,' he stood coughing loudly. "Aye, let's here the story, lass!"

For whatever concerns he might have had about the story the catwoman would tell, it served as an excellent distraction, if somewhat rambling in nature. Still, it was more insight than she had shared up to this point with himself, so Felgor would take it for what it was worth.

With the girl engaged and the 'forbidden' subject matter forgotten for the moment, Felgor sat back down, watching the others interact. He listened for now, since many of the others seemed to know each other already.

Metroid33
2013-02-05, 10:21 AM
Shefri reaches his arm around Jacqueline's shoulder and pulls here along towards his tent.

Leriel
2013-02-05, 10:51 AM
Hopefully no one will disturb you this night!

Metroid33
2013-02-05, 11:40 AM
OOC: Night is left to imagination Shefri will not be appearing for the rest of the night.

Chained Birds
2013-02-05, 11:42 AM
Ren

"Well, I do know of the stories of the three styles.
Let's see..."

She begins to think about something.

"Hmm, if I recall, Sharp Point was named for its power. Only fighters with powerful hands or claws can use it to its fullest (Like me), but I remember the old man splitting a tree trunk down the middle to demonstrate. Oh ya! He said it was created by a devil named Hazrados in order to combat the angelic hordes that kept on annoying him in his keep. Hmm, I don't know the ending to that particular story because I fell asleep halfway."

She rubs her head and blushes with embarrassment.

"Shark's style though, his Open Palm style originates from the ideals of the Myconids. While creatures made of fungus, a small group made a style of fighting that allowed them to move creatures away from them without harming them. Had something to do with their parasite-like behavior. I was more surprised fungus could fight back... Never look at a mushroom the same way again..."

Ren starts thinking really hard about the last story.

"...arg... Hero's style... I don't remember it too well as he was always keeping his training a secret from me. From what the old man said, Clenched Fist is a style that incorporates offense and defense. Unlike Sharp Point, which is all offense, or Open Palm, which is all defense, Hero's style was difficult for me to understand. It came from some story about a Human who mastered all forms of fighting and developed a way of fighting that incorporated many of those forms.
I always figured it was the old man self inserting himself into the story..."

The_Shaman
2013-02-05, 02:02 PM
Lao

"I follow the Path of the Inner Three, and it seems to lead me there, yes," Lao replies. He isn't quite sure what the man meant by this term, but he could try to appear knowledgeable.

The catwoman's story was vaguely interesting. He imagined the styles they were taught were rather haphazard, but personal skill and dedication often made all the difference.

"Sadly, humans tend to be quite short-lived for a study of all the arts," Lao says, making a smile-like grimace. "But in chasing perfection, one can always find improvement - and it is a good motivation. The world is a large place, full of wonder. So you are a practitioner of this Sharp Point?"

Chained Birds
2013-02-05, 02:22 PM
Ren

"Yep Regal One, it is why I was titled "The Sharp" by the people of the slums. I might not be able to slit a log, but I can drill a hole in solid stone."

Ren makes a drill-like movement with her right claw.

"Sharp Point requires a lot of weight and power behind your blows. Sometimes accuracy will suffer, but if you are able to move the earth with each blow, you'd eventually make your attacks unstoppable. But I'm still learning..."

She seems a bit unhappy with herself.

"I'm going to go take a cat nap now. My heart still isn't ready for what we might find in the cave ahead."

Ren goes off to a corner and curls up.

The_Shaman
2013-02-05, 05:30 PM
Lao

The ophiduan nods as the catwoman explains, looking at her with interest. "May I suggest tea? It calms the nerves quite well."

Chained Birds
2013-02-05, 05:50 PM
Ren

The Catfolk is already asleep. Cats tend to nap pretty fast.

Leriel
2013-02-06, 04:53 AM
Lain is falling asleep, too... Hari smiles at her and puts her in a comfortable position.
Then he spokes to Lao:
"I see... That's a pity... I have some little knowledge about The Way, and I wish I could finally find a teacher."
He spokes again, to no one in particular:
"It's more than 40 years that I come to the Cave. The prophecies were always right... I hope that this year I'll see no bad signs."
He sighs.
"According to last year omens, tomorrow night we will face undeads. We are prepared - all guards bring holy water with them - but be careful".
He looks again at all the people near the fire...
"It seems that this is the first time that you come to the cave. Do you have some questions? This is a so quite night... Let's speak a little more..."

The_Shaman
2013-02-06, 05:49 AM
Lao

Lao prepares some tea for any who would share, and chats around while waiting for it to brew right. "My people have many who are skillful in the ways, but I had pursued a more martial path. Yet paths wind and branch... Fate is a mysterious mistress."

When the tea is ready, he pours himself a mug and offers to others, sitting cross-legged near the fire. "If this cave is so important, why isn't the way better guarded? What would happen if a dangerous force somehow took it over and tried to exploit its secrets?"

Leriel
2013-02-06, 08:42 AM
Hari and Witch Doctor accept the tea and thank Lao (well, Witch Doctor is a polite one... what an unexpected thing!).

Then Witch Doctor follows up the question from Lao and asks Hari:
"The serpent man speaks true. Powerful treasures must be kept well surveilled. What about this gem?"

Hari waits some seconds, sipping some tea. Then he replies:
"The gem and the cave are protected by a powerful spell cast by Aziraphel, the diviner who designed the gem. The spell says "Neither the power of magic,n or power of the mind nor the power of strength may destroy the gem."
For all the days of the year, this gem lays on the bottom of a deep well - a narrow well, that prevents physical entrance to creatures larger than my fist. Magic cannot move it.
On the summer solstice, the gem magically comes from the well and floats in midair. Thus, a light emanates from within, and go through the gem ... which is finely engraved and covered with tiny inscriptions.
Through the gem, the light projects inscriptions on the walls of the cave: they are predictions for the year to come.
Thanks to the magic of Aziraphel (and the skill of a jeweler that nobody knows the name) these prophecies are different every year.
This will happen again on Dragon, 16th... the day after tomorrow."

TheTick
2013-02-07, 09:21 AM
Victor grunts. "Sounds like a pretty good racket. Wish I'd thought of it."

Starbin
2013-02-07, 09:27 AM
Listening to the tale, Felgor wondered if they had met the jeweler in Cherudek ... or if he was simply a blacksmith. Something he would have to ask Endymion the next time they visited.

As Hari spoke and he sipped his tea ("Thank ye kindly, lad ..."), a question arose that had been bothering him for a bit.

"Ye say th'stone rises and throws its prophecies on th'wall. Where do our shards be comin' inta play? Are ye sayin' it's like an invite, be we have ta find our prophecy on th'wall? Or do our shards light up wit a prophecy o' there own?"

Leriel
2013-02-07, 09:53 AM
"Good question, noble dwarf" Hari nods in Felgor direction.

"I never had the pleasure of finding a shard myself... the Royal House bids the scribes to copy all prophecies on the walls. Most of them are generic prophecies, related to the city, or the kingdom.
But some of them are your prophecies, Gem Bearers. According from Gem Bearers of past years, your shards will glow and will let you know where, on the walls, you can see your own prophecy. It's like... a sensaction, a sixth-sense experience."

Hari looks at his tea and goes on:
"After the summer solstice, the shard that you found will loose the rune... it will disappear. The shard will became a simple one. So, you have just this possibility... it never happened that someone found an omen-shard more than one time, in his life."

"If you are interested, you can look at the prophecies in the public library, when we'll return to the city. And feel free to ask me if you have more questions" he says, smiling.

Leriel
2013-02-08, 02:24 AM
OOC - Stubborn is sleeping... he was well fed :smallwink:

The conversation near the fire goes on a little. Hari is a good speaker and replies to all your questions (if you have more, send me a PM).

After a while, he picks up Lain and wishes a good night to all of you.

(OOC - I forgot to say that he's dressed whit a long grey robe, with long sleeves, and he has a tick walking stick.)

Strong-Arm, Witch Doctor and Irlana do the same, moving to some comfortable places nearby.

I suppose that Felgor, Victor and Lao need to sleep, too...
(As usual, if you want to make something different, PM me :smallwink:)

The night is quiet and you sleep well.
Ren, Felgor, Victor and Lao wake up at dawn - they hear some strange noise... but it's too early... do they really want to wake up?
Hari said that the guards would come to wake them up, one hour before departure...

TheTick
2013-02-08, 08:09 AM
Victor picks his head up, trying to figure out if the sound is important.

[roll0]

Chained Birds
2013-02-08, 10:40 AM
Ren

"..."

Ren seems annoyed by whatever noise is happening.

Perception: [roll0]

Leriel
2013-02-08, 10:45 AM
@Ren and Victor (and whoever roll 21 or more):

You wake up since you hear a "KIAAAAAA!" in a distance. It's coming from the north.

Chained Birds
2013-02-08, 11:07 AM
Ren

I wish I had some wine... Ren thinks before she wanders out to check on the noise.

Starbin
2013-02-08, 11:18 AM
Felgor thanked Hari for the information, very interested in visiting the library. He would spend the rest of the evening getting to know the others a bit, before finally retiring to his bedroll.

At dawn, the strange sounds brought the dwarf awake in a rush. In a rush, he jumped up and started getting dressed. "I cannae believe I'm late! Tis already dawn!"

He was out of the tent with tools in hand when it suddenly occurred to him that this was not his father's forge. Standing there for a moment, he tried to figure out what was going, blinking somewhat dazedly.

Oh, what the heck ... Here's a perception roll: [roll0]

Leriel
2013-02-08, 11:44 AM
OOC - a natural 1 :smalltongue:

I liked your post too much... Felgor wakes up even if you rolled a 1.

It's like Felgor wake up with a sound in his head (but it's not the "KIAAA!" :smallwink:)

TheTick
2013-02-08, 11:57 AM
Victor shakes Lao, Shefri and (if present) Nathor to wake them. "Hey, I just heard a really strange noise, and I don't know about you, but I don't trust these guards to protect me." To Nathor if he's there: "Uh, not you, the other guards."

Whether or not anyone else comes along, Victor casts Mage Armor on himself, picks up his crossbow and heads out to see what's happening.

The_Shaman
2013-02-08, 06:01 PM
Lao

The snakeman occupies himself for a while, drawing cards seemingly at random near the fire, before collecting them, cleaning them scrupulously with a soft rag, and putting them back in the fine lacquered box. He goes to his sack, which he drags a bit closer to the fire. Not so much because he enjoys feeling warm - though he does - but because it will help him act faster in the morning.

Perception: 1d20+9

Starbin
2013-02-10, 04:14 AM
Rubbing his eyes again, Felgor looks around, shaking his head with frustration. "Bah ... what in the nine levels o' the abyss ...?" Remembering where he is, the dwarf glances around, wondering what woke him up. If nothing seemed out of the ordinary, he would return to the tent to get fully dressed (i.e., put his armor on and gather his gear).

Metroid33
2013-02-10, 08:08 AM
Perception:[roll0]

Leriel
2013-02-11, 02:53 AM
OK so let's recap...
- Ren is already going to see what waked up her
- Felgor is getting dressed and he's going the same way
- Lao was already awake when the strange noise occurred... so he heard it
- Victor wakes up Nathor (that's near), then he goes to Shefri's place. He finds a sleeping Shefri and Jacqueline, that's already awake - dresses with a simple robe, in some sort of meditation.

Allow me to speed up a little... all of you (Ren, Felgor, Lao, Victor, Shefri, Jacqueline and Nathor) are going to see what's happening. Now you can recognize the noise - it's someone fighting!

You reach a small clearing - with some trees broken and laying on the ground.

You recognize Irlana, the female halfling. She's speaking to a tall man, wearing an heavy armor, with a great sword on his back and with a turban on his head.

You can also see a strange man - well, it's an unusual one, with pale white skin, dark clothes and a white long tail, similar to a monkey's tail. His arm are crossed and he's looking...

...at a couple of men fighting themselves. No doubt - they are Strong-Arm and Witch Doctor. They are unarmed and they are fighting savagely.

The_Shaman
2013-02-11, 04:31 AM
Lao

The ophiduan wakes up early and starts doing some morning exercises to get his body awake. Some of them are almost painstakingly slow, while some are a rush of motions difficult to see, much less follow.

When the strange noise comes, he swiftly changes his position so that he is facing it, and makes a small nod before ending the form and going to see what is happening. He approaches the halfling and the man she is speaking with quietly, before greeting them. "Hello, miss... Irlana, I believe? Good morning to you. You have risen quite early today."

Leriel
2013-02-11, 05:16 AM
"Hi Lao!" is the reply from Irlana. The man turns at Lao and makes a small bow.

Irlana goes on:
"I wanted to see the sun rising... and I heard this two ones fighting like mad. I'll bet one gold piece on Strong-Arm!"
"And... This is Rayen - he's another gem bearer!"

Rayen touches his forehead, mouth and breast, then he speaks to Lao:
"Nice to meet you, sahib Lao. My name is Rayen, holy warrior of Al-Kalim. I heard the noises of the fighting... I went here with Benkei" and he points to the pale skin man.

Benkei just nods at Lao, without speaking.

Chained Birds
2013-02-11, 06:45 AM
Ren

Arriving first to the sight of the fight, Ren has been sitting around watching the brawl from a tree branch.

"So... Is this a Round Robin sort of thing where all the bearers must fight each other until there is only one? Cause I'm okay with that..."

Ren seems a bit upset with no wine bottle to stop the fight though.

Metroid33
2013-02-11, 08:36 AM
"No I don't believe that's the idea Miss Ren I think something happened between these two"

Leriel
2013-02-11, 08:55 AM
Rayen nods at Shefri:
"You're right, young sahib... By the way, my name is Rayen. I came here with Benkei, and found these two fighting. I already saw them in the caravan, so I asked them why they were fighting... and the one with the strange armor told me that they just started their morning training!"

He returns to see the fight:
"I'm not sure about the outcome of the fight, miss Irlana... they are both quick, sometime I cannot see their movements... and they hit really hard..."
He shakes his head.

Metroid33
2013-02-11, 09:19 AM
Taking a seat on a rock near the fight Shefri looks intently at the two fighting. "Ah so their morning training is our morning entertainment. Taking a bet of 10 gp on the one with the weird armor."

Leriel
2013-02-11, 09:27 AM
Irlana replies to Shefri:
"So you're betting on Witch Doctor... I'll take your bet!"

Chained Birds
2013-02-11, 09:31 AM
Ren

"Oh..."

Ren bites her lower lip in frustration as a disgruntled expression appears on her face. Why doesn't anyone invite me to the cool stuff? She thought, as she then crosses her arms and appears to be pouting.

Metroid33
2013-02-11, 09:32 AM
Shefri reaches into his sash and pulls out 10 gold pieces and places them on the rock. Waiting on Irlana to put some down as well.

Leriel
2013-02-11, 09:43 AM
Irlana smiles at Shefri, putting her bet on the rock.

In the meantime, Benkei moves towards Ren.
"Forget me for my manner, lady... I can enjoy some fighting, too. Would you like to make some... training?" he says, showing his hands... they are clawed, similar to the ones of Ren.

Rayen sighs: "More useless fighting..."

Chained Birds
2013-02-11, 10:39 AM
Ren

With an astonished look on her face,

"How barbaric. To think a man would challenge a fair lass to a battle. Do you understand the implications if you are to lose this spare sir?"

She gives him a devious smile,

"You'd have to hold the title of "Lost to a girl in a fight" for a whole week."

She starts to laugh a bit.

"But besides that... I'm sort of... stuck..."

It appears that it was an easy task for Ren to get up the tree, but she may have difficulties getting down.

The_Shaman
2013-02-11, 11:35 AM
Lao

The snakeman nods to the catwoman. "Good morning to you too, miss. Nice to see you are already so vivacious. If you would like, I can try helping you with your practice."

If he finds her situation humorous, he does not show it. Instead, he looks at the height at which she is. "Would you care to jump down? I am quite sure I can catch you."

((Though I'm not quite sure if I need to roll anything to catch someone jumping from a high place. Maybe a combat maneuver, of sorts? Or do we share the damage? If that doesn't work, he will try climbing up and helping her down, or throwing her a rope))

Leriel
2013-02-11, 11:42 AM
OOC for Ren and Lao - it all depends on how high Ren climbed on the tree. For 10 feet, if Ren trusts Lao enough, no problem - 1 nonlethal damage each and she'll be on the ground again :smallwink:

Chained Birds
2013-02-11, 12:23 PM
Ren

"Why are Trees so enticing to climb, yet difficult to leave?"

Ren nervously grabs her branch and tries to get herself as close to the ground as possible, though she is still about 15ft short (Cats like to climb pretty high sometimes). She does a swinging motion a few times before letting go and tumbling to the ground below.

Acrobatics: [roll0] + (Can't see sheet at the moment)
- Probably did a good job at sticking the landing.

TheTick
2013-02-11, 12:31 PM
Victor is slightly disappointed that it's not a real tussle going on, and sits down next to a tree glumly.

Starbin
2013-02-11, 12:53 PM
Felgor arrived after the others, having taken the time to don his armor and gather his things for the day's travels. Seeing the battle, he placed a hand on his axe, wondering what had happened. However, as he watched for a moment, it become obvious that the others were watching some sort of display ... perhaps a ritual of sorts?

He watched from behind the others for a few moments, only mildly curious, then glanced over at the two 'newcomers,' wondering about them. In particular, he studied the heavy mail of the man in the turban, always interested in different smithing techniques of the long legged.

As always, Ren appeared to be doing something both spontaneous and confusing, although it probably made sense to a non-dwarven mind ...

The_Shaman
2013-02-11, 05:30 PM
((Awww, did she deny Lao's helpful offer? :smallfrown:))

The snakeman politely offers a hand to the lady to get up, and then picks a twig out of her mane. "An impressive landing."

Chained Birds
2013-02-11, 06:41 PM
Ren

Shaking her head to regain her cool, she noticed Lao's attempt at aiding her, but found she might crush him with her weight (she weighs around 140lbs with armor included). She then stretches out her back and cracks her shoulder and neck.

"So Regal One, you wanted to match claws in a brawl? Or was it you?"

She points towards Benkei.

"Either way, I do tend to get pretty caught up when I spar. Which is why Shark or the Old Man were always my sparing partners. Ever since the day I played with Hero and he needed 47 stitches and was in a sling for a few weeks. Sweet kid..."

The_Shaman
2013-02-11, 06:46 PM
Lao

(Under 70 kg, armor included? That's not so hard for a character of Str 14+ to catch, imo.)

Lao catches the catwoman's eyes with his, and his amber iris seems to flicker in the dawn's light. "Should you seek practice, I will try to be of service. By your tales, you seem quite proficient."

Chained Birds
2013-02-11, 07:12 PM
Ren

"Not so much skilled, more like enthusiastic. My body gets a bit strange when my negative emotions start to flare up, a gift from the Great Mother my parents say.
But anyways, if this is a spar then we shouldn't try to kill each other. So no lethal blows or use of anything that would permanently hamper the opponent. Are you cool with that?"

The_Shaman
2013-02-11, 07:25 PM
Lao

The monk nods. "Of course, there is no reason to fight to the death here."

Chained Birds
2013-02-11, 10:40 PM
Ren

"Alright..."

Ren walks towards another clearing and positions herself 30ft away from Lao. She engages into her combat style which appears like a tiger ready to pounce on her prey.

"Whenever you're ready."

The_Shaman
2013-02-12, 02:25 AM
Lao

Lao takes a position some distance away from the catwoman. His movements seem almost languid as he draws up a sword and holds it to his right, blade pointing down. His eyes, however, are sharp and bear right at Ren's, and he seems to... wait.

Ready action: will attack if she moves within melee range

Leriel
2013-02-12, 03:06 AM
Benkei is a little annoyed, but he sighs and he moves toward the bigger group.
Rayen laughs and tells him:
"Al-Kalim says that you don't mess with tigers and snakes... so let them fight, you'll get more action this night."
Then he looks serious, and speaks to Felgor, greetings him with his strange gesture of touching forehead, lips and breast:
"Greeting, servant of the drwarven gods. I wish you a morning of light - we will face the darkness, this night. But I have no fear. Also" he says pointing at Benkei "we have an undead hunter at our side."

In the meantime, Nathor speaks to Victor:
"You looks too eager to fight, my friend... I suggest you to spare your energy for this night. But I see that Benkei could enjoy a fight, if you wish."

Jacqueline gets closer to Rayen, clears her throat and says:
"Are you speaking about Al-Kalim, the Holy Prophet of the Eternal Truth? I read little of him... Would you mind to tell me something more about your god?"

Chained Birds
2013-02-12, 06:26 AM
Ren

Ren charges forth, trying to overrun Lao.

Standard Action: Charging Overrun Attempt VS Lao's CMD
- CMB: [roll0]
- Special: If 5 higher than Lao's CMD, Lao is made Prone.

Edit: Rolled a 1 :smallannoyed:

Current HP: 45
Current AC: 18 / FF 15 / T 11

The_Shaman
2013-02-12, 10:50 AM
Lao

Lao suddenly steps to the side, and brings the sword before him with surprising speed. It is his foot, however, that the attack comes from - a powerful side kick just as Ren all but rushes past him.

((Lao's stats: HP 30, AC 18, Touch 17, Flat-footed 11. Attack and damage rolled in the OOC thread))

Leriel
2013-02-12, 12:03 PM
While observing the fights, Rayen smiles at Jacqueline and tell her the story of his god:
"The old sages say that Suleiman Al-Kalim was a wise warrior-priest born in the desert of Alasiyan. He was a natural leader, and he was able to unite the tribes of the desert one after the other. In the end, the Alasiyans were able to establish a nation.
Al-Kalim is known also for his pilgrimage with his faithful companion Farid, that took him in strange and mysterious places. When he came back, Al-Kalim started preaching to his followers the teachings of a new faith, the Eternal Truth, which Farid collected in the holy book named Nahmeh, a collection of wise parables and just laws.
The Eternal Truth is based on two main pillars: the Dream of Justice and Honour to unify the tribes and make them stronger, and the Dream of the Desert Garden, the project to make the desert a more fertile land.
Al-Kalim never died… he disappeared, and now is a great god that guide us."

Starbin
2013-02-12, 12:19 PM
Felgor returned the greeting with a tilt of his head. "Greetings t'ye as well. But what's all this about darkness and th'dead?"

Sure, night usually brought darkness, but this man spoke as if he was planning on something specific.

I suppose I should make a KS (Religion): [roll0] and KS (History): [roll1]

There's something eerie about a natural 20 and a natural 1 in the same post :smallsmile:

Metroid33
2013-02-12, 01:50 PM
Shefri sits on his rock intently watching the fights go only catching small tidbits of what his friend were saying.

The_Shaman
2013-02-12, 03:36 PM
Lao

As Ren tries to regain her footing after her unsuccessful charge, Lao follows his initial blow with a combination of unarmed jabs, kicks, and some circular attacks with knees and elbows, occasionally using the blade in one of his hands to create an opening or defend himself. "Urfsa sao yun!"

Full-round action: flurry of blows with power attack
Attack roll 1: [roll0]
Damage (if any): [roll1]
Attack roll 2:[roll2]
Damage (if any): [roll3]

Lao's HP: 30
AC: 18, Touch 17, FF 11

Chained Birds
2013-02-12, 05:26 PM
Ren

"Ouch..."

Lao would notice that even though he his dealing quite a bit of damage to Ren, he seems to be feeling a bit of resistance with each blow delivered.

Ren claws at Lao, but she hesitates with each blow.

Standard Action: Subdual Claw Attacks VS Lao's AC
- Attack: [roll0]
- Damage: [roll1]
- Crit Attack (20): [roll2]
- Damage (x3): [roll3]

- Attack: [roll4]
- Damage: [roll5]
- Crit Attack (20): [roll6]
- Damage (x3): [roll7]

Current HP: 26
Current AC: 20 / FF 17 / T 13

The_Shaman
2013-02-12, 05:48 PM
((Immediate action: snake style to avoid 1st attack. SM check (to be used as AC for that attack only): [roll0]

Leriel
2013-02-13, 03:21 AM
There's something eerie about a natural 20 and a natural 1 in the same post :smallsmile:

OOC - The dice roller is strong in this one...

For Felgor:
Felgor knows the story of Al-Kalim - by the way, most of desert people are tough as dwarves, they need to be tough if they want survive. Warriors of Al-Kalim are a little fanatic, but you can trust them.

Rayen looks at Felgor, a little puzzled:
"Didn't you know, noble dwarf? This will be a night of sorrow. According to the omens, we will face the creature of the night - the foul undeads. Benkei told me that master Hora, the lead scribe of the caravan, hired him for this purpose... it seems that the omens are always true, and also the guards are equipped with holy water."

Rayen looks at Nathor, who nods at him.

"Let me remember...
The way will be not clear
For the travel of next year..."

Jacqueline helps him:
"The way will be not clear
For the travel of next year
Be careful, the second night
Since there will be a fight
You'll face undead raiders
Pale, many feet, riders"

She adds:
"Master Hora and lorekeeper Hari Seldon always argue... but they agree that we are going to face some strange spider riders. Also, there were a lot of reports of undeads, in the last months."

Leriel
2013-02-13, 03:30 AM
In the meantime, it seems that the odds turns in favor of Strong-Arm - he managed to badly hurt an arm of Witch Doctor - probably is sprained.
Wrong guess: Witch Doctor screams and makes a powerful assalt with a knee-kick-elbow combo.
Strong-Arm replies with as much effort.
The fight goes on a little, but with a final blow, Witch Doctor manages to put down his opponent. The winner drops to the ground, exhausted.

Irlana sighs: "You have my money, Shefri..."

The_Shaman
2013-02-13, 04:10 AM
Lao

The catwoman's attacks had no little power behind them, and were quite skilled, Lao thinks. His training allows him to foresee one of them, but he can't quite evade the other. He notices his opponent is holding back - understandable given the situation, but something that would make even his victory here meaningless. "Impressive, miss, and I can tell you are not giving it your all."

Oh well, a training is a training. He bats a feint out of the way, starting another quick attack sequence.

Metroid33
2013-02-13, 06:28 AM
Smiling Shefri pockets the extra 10 gp. A large grin across his face.

Chained Birds
2013-02-13, 06:33 AM
Ren

"Ya... I just don't want to make another Hero."

Ren avoids the first strike but is smacked in the shoulder by the second due to how she positioned her dodge. Ouch! Calm down! Don't get too emotional... She seems to be having an internal struggle as she fights back.

Full-Attack Action: Subdual Claw Attacks VS Lao's AC

Current HP: 19

The_Shaman
2013-02-13, 06:56 AM
Lao

((Lao has been using non-lethal damage, didn't the inv. rager archetype get bonus DR for that?))

Lao notices his opponent's frustration. Were this a real fight, he'd press the attack. Instead, he makes a fake move, then disengages quickly and assumes a defensive stance. "Is something the matter, Miss Ren?"

((Withdraw))

Chained Birds
2013-02-13, 08:47 AM
Ren

OOC: Yes, though only 4 non-lethal every attack. And you are still hitting her with most of those attacks.

Panting and looking quite beaten both physically and mentally,

"It's not of your... concern. I just... have problems sometim-"

She grips her head as though she just got a huge headache. Got to stay calm. She gets into the stance she used at the beginning of the spar and charges him in an attempt to overrun him.

Standard Action: Overrun Attempt VS Lao's CMD
Special: If 5 higher than Lao's CMD, Lao is made Prone.

Current AC: 18 / FF 15 / T 11

The_Shaman
2013-02-13, 09:32 AM
Lao

((Only 4, he says...))

Lao would have waited for a while for his opponent to gain her wind, but she would have none of it. He tries to sidestep her charge, but she is onto him... and the lost balance costs him as he is sent hurling on the ground. He tries to channel his fall into a roll and go back to his feet, before staying too long in a vulnerable position - and attack again

(Move action: stand up from prone. Using snake style to substitute my sense motive for the AC: [roll0]
Standard action: standard attack. Attack roll [roll1], damage [roll2])

Starbin
2013-02-13, 10:38 AM
Rayen looks at Felgor, a little puzzled:
"Didn't you know, noble dwarf? This will be a night of sorrow. According to the omens, we will face the creature of the night - the foul undeads. Benkei told me that master Hora, the lead scribe of the caravan, hired him for this purpose... it seems that the omens are always true, and also the guards are equipped with holy water."

"The way will be not clear
For the travel of next year
Be careful, the second night
Since there will be a fight
You'll face undead raiders
Pale, many feet, riders"

She adds:
"Master Hora and lorekeeper Hari Seldon always argue... but they agree that we are going to face some strange spider riders. Also, there were a lot of reports of undeads, in the last months."

Felgor blinked, wondering where this little gem of information had come from. "So where d'ye keep these prophecies? And did the others know about it?" He had already prayed for the day, and changing his spells for something more appropriate was too late.

Then he remembered their encounter with the crocadillians. "If'n these be spiders and undead, best ware yerselves ... on our travels, we met lizard-kin that had met these creatures, and one o' them was hurt. Seems th'wounds kin turn ye into one o' th'undead."

Leriel
2013-02-13, 10:51 AM
Rayen gasps:
"Wounds that turn someone in a foul undead? May the light of Al-Kalim protect us!"

Jacqueline does not look so worried:
"I think that the guards will protect us. Also, there are people like Shefri, and like you all... I feel safe."

She replies to Felgor:
"I work as apprentice librarian at the Royal Library of the city of Omen. Since Aziraphel created the gem, each prophecy is transcribed and stored in the archives of the library. Master Hora is the head of the librarian... but Hari Seldon is a better skilled scribe and archivist" she smiles.

"We apprentices have the duty of copy the prophecies from the walls of the cave, and bring them to the library. I started a couple of years ago... this is my first official travel to the cave" she says proudly.

"The library is huge... but I was able to read a lot of books! And I think that Hari knows every book in the library" she whisper.

Rayen adds some words:
"When I met Benkei, yesterday, he told me that Master Hora hired him because of the undead. Master Hora told him about the prophecy, and Benkei told it to me."

Jaqueline nods:
"And if I remember, Hari spoke about undeads yesterday night... Before I went with Shefri..." she blushes. :smallwink:

Chained Birds
2013-02-13, 11:28 AM
Ren

Ren strikes when she is given the opportunity to,

AoO: Claw Attack VS Lao's AC
- Cri Attack (20): [roll2]

She then deftly dodges Lao's next blow, even though she was placed in an awkward stance due to the charge.

She then find an openning to strike with her claws again.

Full-Attack Action:Claw Attacks VS Lao's AC
- Cri Attack (20): [roll6]

- Attack: [roll8]
- Damage: [roll9]
- Cri Attack (20): [roll10]
- Damage (x3): [roll11]

Starbin
2013-02-13, 04:42 PM
Felgor frowned, then remembered the father of the little girl had mentioned undead before. Of course, it had been said in an off-handed sort of way, as if he were speaking of a full moon, or cloudy day.

Sighing, Felgor stretched and glanced back at the combatants. One fight had already ended, while the second was still going. Either way, he had little interest in participating, so he simply waited for the rest of the caravan to rise and prepare to leave for the day.

At least breakfast was right around the corner ...

The_Shaman
2013-02-13, 05:37 PM
Lao

In the series of attacks, Lao finds himself mostly unharmed - mostly being the operative word here. Despite the catwoman holding back, she manages to score a good hit - and her armor is proving a pain to get past to land a solid blow. She seemed to be quite hardy, as well, and might well shrug past a weak blow.

He counters with some attacks of his own, opting for power even though it would make a good hit harder to land.

Flurry with power attack:
Attack 1:[roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
Attack 2:[roll2]
Damage: [roll3]

HP: 24/30
AC: 18, CMB +7/9, CMD +18

Chained Birds
2013-02-13, 05:52 PM
Ren

Ren takes the second of the two blows quite hard, though she still seems capable of fighting back.

"You fight... Quite well Regal One."

She then continues with her strikes, though now they seem more violent than before.

Full-Attack Action:Power Claw Attacks VS Lao's AC

Current HP: 20

The_Shaman
2013-02-13, 06:51 PM
Lao

"I strive... yash! Not to disappoint", Lao says, nodding slightly as he turns one of his opponent's savage swipes aside with the flat of his blade, sidestepping so he can try to get a shot at her shortly-exposed back. "Though I admit, I haven't recently had a practice like this. We may cause the healers here quite the distress."

Flurry with PA
Attack: [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Attack 2 [roll2]
Damage [roll3]

Chained Birds
2013-02-13, 08:07 PM
Ren

"Arr... Either way-"

Ren makes a sweeping blow at Lao,

"I know a guy."

She then smiles as she continues with her reckless assault.

Current HP: 11

The_Shaman
2013-02-14, 06:44 AM
Lao

Lao shakes his head at his opponent's stubbornness... hopefully they wouldn't face any serious opposition before they had both recovered fully. Still, her style was interesting, and he relished the opportunity to test himself against such a warrior.

Her strikes are full of power, but for such power, one had to commit to attack. And like the harsh light leaves the darkest shadows, this course could make a warrior vulnerable - if their opponent could make use of it. He sidesteps one of her lunges and sets off a series of blows.

Flurry, PA

Attack: [roll2]

Chained Birds
2013-02-14, 07:27 AM
Ren

Ren narrowly dodges each strike, getting a good look at the hilt of Lao's blade, before proceeding with her own attacks.

Current HP: 11

The_Shaman
2013-02-14, 07:40 AM
Lao

Lao sees his blows fall short of the elusive fighter, as he tries to himself avoid her attacks, and starts paying more attention to his aim. He senses that she is weakened, but still far from defeated.

Flurry
Attack:[roll0]
Damage:[roll1]

Attack:[roll2]
Damage:[roll3]

Chained Birds
2013-02-14, 08:32 AM
Ren

Ren is almost taken down by that last blow if not for her tough body, though she doesn't look like she can maintain her consciousness for much longer.

"..."

But she is persistant, as she does her (most likely) last volley of hesitant blows.

Edit: Lucky for Lao with the Crit unconfirmed. :smallamused:

Current HP: 4

The_Shaman
2013-02-14, 10:55 AM
Lao

A powerful blow nearly takes Lao's air out of his lungs, as one of the catwoman's claws catches him neatly under the jaw. The force with which she delivers it is staggering, even as she aims for nonlethal blows.

He tries to spin with the blow, and instead come from her other side with a series of kicks to take her feet from under her. She's obviously tired, but if that's how she fights now he's not sure he can take too much of it either.

Flurry, no PA
Attack 1: [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Attack 2[roll2]
Damage [roll3]

Heh, lucky for Ren this did minimum damage :smallamused: . But yes, with the penalties Ren gets for PA and nonlethal damage, he has a decent chance of dodging (either by default or with snake style) anything that's not a 20 :smalltongue: Are your claws meant to actually be X3 on crits, btw?

HP: 12/30
AC: 18, CMB +7/9, CMD +18

Leriel
2013-02-14, 11:41 AM
Witch Doctor screams, fixing his injuried arm with a rapid movement. He and Strong-Arm face themselves, rise their right hands, cover them with the lefts hands and bow a little.
Then they moves toward the main group (Rayen, Benkey, Felor and so).

It looks like they are quickly recovering from the fight.

Strong-Arm makes some gestures and Witch Doctor nods. Then he translates:
"He hopes not to be late for seeing the combat between the snake man and the tiger lady. I agree with him."

Chained Birds
2013-02-14, 12:14 PM
Ren

Ren takes Lao's attack, but it seems he didn't hit hard enough to even scratch the catfolk's body. She sees this as her chance to continue her reckless fighting.

- Damage (x2): [roll3]

- Damage (x2): [roll7]

Current HP: Still 4 :smalltongue:

The_Shaman
2013-02-14, 12:20 PM
Lao

The monk notices his hit connects, but it doesn't seem to faze the catwoman any. Perhaps her toughness and battle-concentration are so strong she ignores weaker blows. He manages to avoid hers, thankfully, and then follows her lead, putting in more strength behind his blows as he deflects another of her attacks with the flat of his blade and makes a swift slashing hit with his hand and then elbow from the side.

FoB, PA

Chained Birds
2013-02-14, 01:09 PM
Ren

"...
Good Spa-"

Ren drops to her knees and smacks the ground hard with her face. Ren is defeated.

The_Shaman
2013-02-14, 02:19 PM
Lao

The ophiduan disengages, and bows slightly. "Yes, thank you ver... miss Ren, are you okay? Miss Ren?" he adds, and rushes to her side to check up on her. "I am sorry, I didn't think... Please, accept my apologies."

If Lao wasn't too calm and collected to be freaking out, he would really be freaking out.

Starbin
2013-02-14, 02:28 PM
Felgor was just pointing out the other fight when he saw Ren drop from a final blow. Shaking his head, he stomped over (he's not mad ... that's just what dwarves in heavy armor do!) and glanced at both combatants. "Here lad, back up a step ... she'll be right as rain in a moment."

Checking to see what's up with Ren. Normally, you'd only go unconscious when you take lethal damage equal to negative your hps ... at zero, you're typically staggered. For me to heal Ren up to consciousness will probably take quite a few of my spells, so let's be clear! :smallbiggrin:

Leriel
2013-02-18, 02:58 AM
OOC - Since Ren and Lao decided to deal non-lethal damage, I want to remember to both that "You heal nonlethal damage at the rate of 1 hit point per hour per character level."

While Felgor is looking at Ren, Jacqueline gets closer and mumbles arcane words... then she touches the catfolk, who wakes up (6 hit point healed).
Jacqueline smiles and says to Ren:
"I still have to thank you... it was your story that made little Lain happy... and allowed me to spend the night with Shefri... so, thanks, Sharp one!"
Then she gets up and she smooths her dress.
"Breakfast should be ready, now..." she says.

Chained Birds
2013-02-18, 10:37 AM
Ren

Getting up and dusting herself off,

"At least no one got seriously hurt. Glad I held my stupid emotions back... Good fight Regal One. I'm going off to eat now.
I keep on forgetting to do that..."

Ren wanders off for some food.

Leriel
2013-02-18, 10:53 AM
Jacqueline already reached Shefri for going together at the caravan camp for breakfast. She calls Ren:
"Ren! You can come and eat with us!"

She does not care if Ren comes or not... she goes with Shefri to the camp, if he agrees.

Also, Witch Doctor, Strong Arm, Irlana, Benkei and Rayen are going to eat something at the camp.

Metroid33
2013-02-18, 11:05 AM
Putting his arm around her shoulder shefri walks towards the camp eager for breakfast.

Chained Birds
2013-02-18, 11:17 AM
Ren

Ren is fine with eating with Jacqueline and Shefri. She even might get out the Tamborine to show her appreciation for allowing her to eat with them. :smallamused:

"Let's have a drink later Regal One. Alcohol!"

She exclaims to Lao before leaving.

Starbin
2013-02-18, 11:24 AM
Sighing at the capriciousness of cats, Felgor stands and follows the others to breakfast, ready to press on with the day.

The_Shaman
2013-02-18, 02:31 PM
Lao

So, Lao think, this one is not too harmed and doesn't seem to hold a grudge. Good; some of these races could be rather unreasonable. This one seems to only suffer - or rather, enjoy - excessive exuberance. "It is good that you are feeling better, Miss Ren. And yes, a drink would be nice. I will brew some tea... you can put some alcohol in it if you like, of course. I hope that would be acceptable?"

Lao goes back to continue his exercises, and then goes to the camp for some breakfast - and the much looked-forward-to tea.

TheTick
2013-02-18, 11:38 PM
Victor eats breakfast in relative silence. He sticks close to the people he knows, as he doesn't have a good feel for the rest of this little caravan at all.

Leriel
2013-02-19, 03:22 AM
Some servants and some guards are helping serving the breackfast.

The mood is different from yesterday... the guards look somewhat worried.

After the breakfast, one of them speaks to the group of the gem bearers:
"As most of you know, this night we will face some undead. This is for you, if you need..." and he gives a vial of holy water to each of you.

"I don't know if you are skilled fighters, wizards or so. But our orders are to invite you to stay in the camp, safe, tonight."
He moves away... saying: "Obviously these are our orders..."

The travel goes on. You stop again for the lunch... the forest somewhat is different.

You hear little noises... and the trees are dark, almost black, with little leaves (though it's almost midsummer).

Irlana, the female halfling trapper, gives voice to the thoughts of all of you...
"This place is dying!"

The travel goes on again. You stop for the night - in a similar place.
The dinner is quick... again, the wagon are set in a square. The guards put the horses in the middle. A couple of them watch over them.

Several fires are burning outside the camp. The guards looks nervous... but the place looks eerie, the night is dark, the moon...

Wait. What's happening at the moon?

You hear a strange "click" and you see that the stick of Hari is changing... some gears and some mechanism are turning it in a crossbow!
In the meantime, you hear him saying:
"An eclipse!"

The_Shaman
2013-02-19, 02:11 PM
Lao

Over the course of the day, Lao has been largely silent and perhaps a bit uncomfortable around Ren... yet unfailingly polite to her. Other than that, he seems to nod, agree and not speak until spoken to.

At they stop for the evening, he eyes the clearing suspiciously. While his mouth didn't move much that day, his eyes did. "This place doesn't appear very secure. I will stand watch, does anyone want to join me or split into shifts?"

At the mention of eclipse, he quickly looks around and quickly, but not hastily, moves into a niche by the wagons from where he will be quite hard to spot from anyone on the outside. See, but remain unseen, the words of one of his old teachers come to mind - instructions from a life no longer his own.

((Stealth check to hide in a place that is hard to see from outside the camp: [roll0]

Perception to notice anyone on the outside of the camp [roll1]; Lao has darkvision as a racial trait))

Starbin
2013-02-19, 02:51 PM
Felgor frowned as they approached the 'dead' area. While normally he cared little for the forest, he had enough awareness to realize that something wrong was here. He made sure the holy water given to them earlier was handy, as he spoke quietly with some of the others.

"I dinnae know what tonight will bring, but ye kin bet yer boots I cannae let these men just fight alone. If'n yer of a mind, everyone's help may be needed." He gave a particularly pointed glance to the Witch Doctor, still wondering if the man had some deeper connection to the undead than was normal.

When the eclipse comes, Felgor felt the hairs on his neck standing on end. He turned to speak when Hari began to change his walking stick into a crossbow. With raised eyebrow, Felgor hurried over to inspect the weapon, nodding in appreciation. "'Ere now, lad, ye dinnae tell me ye had a bit o' machinery! Who made yer toy there?"

Sigh ... so where Felgor WAS focused, you had to go and wave something shiny and completely distract him!

And since he didn't really see any need to change his spells (even though he apparently heard, but didn't pay attention!)

Spells:

Chained Birds
2013-02-19, 05:07 PM
Ren

"Eclipse? Don't remember seeing one of those. Regardless, Drink on sky!"

Ren has a bottle of alcohol she produced from somewhere, and is spraying it into the heavens above before taking a swig herself.

"Yes!... Where did I get this?"

She eyes her bottle with a questioning glare, before shrugging and drinking away again.

Leriel
2013-02-20, 02:50 AM
Felgor frowned as they approached the 'dead' area. While normally he cared little for the forest, he had enough awareness to realize that something wrong was here. He made sure the holy water given to them earlier was handy, as he spoke quietly with some of the others.

"I dinnae know what tonight will bring, but ye kin bet yer boots I cannae let these men just fight alone. If'n yer of a mind, everyone's help may be needed." He gave a particularly pointed glance to the Witch Doctor, still wondering if the man had some deeper connection to the undead than was normal.

When the eclipse comes, Felgor felt the hairs on his neck standing on end. He turned to speak when Hari began to change his walking stick into a crossbow. With raised eyebrow, Felgor hurried over to inspect the weapon, nodding in appreciation. "'Ere now, lad, ye dinnae tell me ye had a bit o' machinery! Who made yer toy there?"

Sigh ... so where Felgor WAS focused, you had to go and wave something shiny and completely distract him!

And since he didn't really see any need to change his spells (even though he apparently heard, but didn't pay attention!)

Spells:

Felgor manages to see Witch Doctor writing some strange signs on the ground - they resemble the footprints of some animal.

Then he's distracted by the staff/crossbow of Hari... who takes some strange goggles from a pocket and put them on.
"I am an amateur inventor, you know..." he smiles to the dwarf.
"I'll tell you more tomorrow... now let me prepare a surprise for the undeads."
Hari opens a strange case. Felgor feels a cold breeze coming from it.
Then the scribe takes some long icicles from it and loads the crossbow with them.
"Frozen holy water - strong as steel!" he says, proudly.

TheTick
2013-02-20, 08:14 AM
(if Victor is still in range to see the holy water bolts)

"Now that's a neat trick."

Leriel
2013-02-21, 03:17 AM
OOC - since everyone in the caravan is taking position setting up, Shefri and Jacqueline are going to the less-defended north side...

This is the line-up:

North-west corner: a guard with a bow (and a sword ready near him)

North wagon: Victor, Nathor, Shefri and Jacqueline (wearing a light leather armor and with a quarterstaff)

Nort-east corner: Hari Seldon with his "holy icicles crossbow"

East wagon: Ren, Felgor, Witch Doctor and Strong Arm (both with a bone kukri)

South-east corner: a guard with a bow (and a sword ready near him)

South wagon: Benkey, a cleric (with a vial of holy water ready and a mace), two guards (with bow and sword)

South-west corner: a guard with a bow (and a sword ready near him)

West wagon: Rayen, a cleric (same of south wagon), two small insect-like humanoid with an armor and strange bright swords

Irlana is taking care of Lain inside a wagon. The horses, a guard, two twin young women (with pale faces and blond long hair), some scribes, some servant and Master Hora are in the center of the caravan. Everyone has some sort of weapon (just in case).

Lao is hidden somewhere - but his companion did not notice his disappearance.

Leriel
2013-02-21, 03:26 AM
The horses are nervous. You hear their neighs...

And finally you can see them (Lao can detect them at the same time).

The fires surrounding the camp light the hideous creatures... corpse, slowing coming toward you. They are coming from all direction. Three of them, from all sides (12 of them, to be clear).

You can see that they are humanoid - they were hobgoblins, lizard-men, some other sort of humanoid creatures of the forest... now they're just walking deads. You can see that most of them are covered by web, like a macabre shroud...

They are coming. You have 1 round each, then they will be at melee distance (the forest provide them a cover, and the night is really dark). You will win automatically initiative in the melee round.

Declare your actions and enjoy :smallbiggrin:

Chained Birds
2013-02-21, 06:22 AM
Ren

The Catfolk draws a circular weapon from her side (a chakram) and aims it at the closer of the three undead at her side. She squints her right eye to give herself better aim, as she make a throw towards the bulk of the creature's body.

Initiative: [roll0]

Move Action: Draw Chakram
Standard Action: Chakram Ranged Attack VS Undead A's AC
- Attack (30ft Range): [roll1]
- Damage: [roll2]

The_Shaman
2013-02-21, 06:38 AM
Lao

So it seems the prophecy had been correct, Lao thinks as he seemingly relaxes in a small niche and focuses inward for a moment as he induces the scale-hardening prana, one of the secrets of the art that he had been practicing long and had finally achieved. He feels his kiquickening, and a part of it infusing his skin and solidifying there, fortifying the scales to levels that even an armorer would be impressed by. He then draws his sword and quickly hooks a few small bells and charms to the holes left in the temple sword for just that purpose.

Time to pay his respect to the dead.

Standard action: use 1 ki point to activate barkskin (via quinggong monk substitution). Caster level = monk level (+2 bonus, 40 minutes duration); 6/7 ki points remaining
Move action: draw/ready a temple sword. I've added the bells as a cosmetic effect, since they don't really do anything but feel thematic.

Leriel
2013-02-21, 08:35 AM
The chakram hits the creature, but it's somewhat stuck in the web that surrounds it... the walking dead continues its movement.

In the meantime, you can see:
- Strong Arm charging another creature and slashing it savagely with the kukri
- With Doctor mumbling arcane words... the shadows seem to coalesce near him, and a roaring cheetah appears.
- Hari has some trouble with his aim... he'll fire at the end of the round
- Jacqueline is speaking in a strange tongue... and a luminous eagle appears near an approaching walking dead (managing to hurt it a little)

You cannot see what's happening at the south and west side, but you hear the battle cries of Rayen and Benkei :smallwink:

TheTick
2013-02-21, 09:12 AM
[roll0]

Seeing that it's fleshy undead approaching, Victor shoulders his crossbow and starts chanting. He thrusts his hand out, and white-hot flames lance forth at the nearest zombie.

[roll1]
[roll2]

Leriel
2013-02-21, 10:42 AM
Nathor shots an arrow to the same undead hit by Victor, but he misses badly. He drops the bow and prepare his faithful fauchard.

Leriel
2013-02-21, 10:51 AM
Ok, in the meantime Hari shots 2 frozen holy bolts versus the undead on the north side not yet damaged. Both bolts hit the head of the creature, and the holy ice has the same effect of the acid on a living creature... but the creature is still moving.

Starbin
2013-02-21, 10:52 AM
Felgor squinted at the shambling forms, his heavy crossbow at the ready. "Let's see how yer trick be workin', Hari ..."

He fired off a shot, praying for an accurate strike ...

Damage: [roll1] (using holy water rules ... not sure if there's extra damage as a bolt, too ...

Active spells: Lead Blades

Spells:

The_Shaman
2013-02-21, 11:51 AM
Lao

Initiative: [roll0]

An idea comes into Lao's head, and his eyes peer at the shadows around the end of the clearing. Those things are merely puppets, he has heard. They are oft in the service of a puppetmaster... so where is he or she?

If he sees someone lurking in the shadows, he suddenly charges at them with a drawn sword. If not, he waits for the dead things to move past him before rushing them from behind. The charms and bells seem to come alive as as his sword whooshes through in almost geometric patterns.

Option 1: charging a shadowy figure:
Attack (w. charge and power attack) [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]

Option 2: readying an action to attack an enemy that comes by him:
Attack (w. power attack): [roll3]
Damage: [roll4]

Metroid33
2013-02-21, 04:40 PM
Looking around, Shefri moves to the north preparing to destroy any undead that threatened the party.

Leriel
2013-02-22, 03:11 AM
OOC - I'm reading the post from Metroid33 as "Shefri: action ready versus any attack to his friends" :smallwink:

Round 2...

A scream. A scream of horror by Jacqueline... "The spider riders!"

Felgor turns to the north (Jacqueline's place) and barely notice the clicking sounds of Hari's crossbow (that's setting by itself the strings in place for another shot)...

The undeads at the north side are walking towards the wagon... but they are not alone. Four Large spiders are following them... and each spider has a white rider - an humanoid with long, shaggy, white hair covering his entire body.

But there are other menaces... the undeads at the east side stopped walking towards the wagon - they are surrounding Strong Arm. And three other corpse emerged from the shadow, helping their brethrens.

Witch Doctor ordered the cheetah to attack. He speaks - to no one in particular:
"Two different waves of undeads. This is not their usual behaviour. Someone is instructing them..."

Hari was going to reply, but you hear him gasping - he's covered by a thick layer of cobweb!

And the same happened to the guard at the north-west angle, to Nathor and to Jacqueline!

Chained Birds
2013-02-22, 12:31 PM
Ren

Ren looks around and finds the Spider-riding enemies to probably the more threatening figures.

"I'll assume you are the dangerous ones."

She gets into a sprinting position and studies her target for a second, before jetting off towards the creature in an attempt to overrun it.

Full-Round: Charging Overrun VS Spider-Rider A's CMD
- Special: If check is 5 higher then target's CMD, then they are knocked Prone.

Ren suffers from a -2 to AC for the Round (AC 18)

The_Shaman
2013-02-22, 01:24 PM
Lao

It feels somewhat good to know your theory of hidden masters is justified, but it does make the frustration of not being able to find them worse. Lao reluctantly abandons this task, and instead rushes to the support of this Rayen fellow, who seems to be having mild inconveniences fighting this unholy foe.

Abandoning his normally controlled, languid movements, Lao rushes towards the nearest foe fighting the warrior. The charms on his sword streak through the air, giving a sound a bit like an oncoming wave.

Charge nearest foe with power attack. I don't think I'm in combat with anyone atm. Attack is with the sword.
Attack:[roll0]

TheTick
2013-02-22, 01:28 PM
Victor looks at the undead closing in, and begins casting another spell.

Casting Defensively (spell goes off with no AoOs if I get 17 or up):
[roll0]

Shocking Grasp:
[roll1]
[roll2]

Will discharge the spell against the same creature I attacked with the ray, if in range.

TheTick
2013-02-22, 01:30 PM
Swearing after having his spell fizzle, Victor takes out his quarterstaff.

Leriel
2013-02-25, 04:18 AM
Ren's overrun is not working as she expected - but the spider-rider was eating the eagle summoned by Jacqueline and was caught off guard. He looses his balance and falls down from the spider, unharmed but prone.

Lao manages to hit one of the undeads surrounding Rayen, wounding the foul creature. Thanks to the effort of the two little insect-like creatures and the near cleric, now just 3 creatures are menacing the west wagon.

Two creatures try to hit Victor and one other tries to hit Shefri, but they miss.

Shefri is helping Jacqueline to get off the cobweb (unless he states something different :smallwink:)

In the meantime, Strong-Arm hits again - the creature explodes in a cloud of foul-smelling fragments. The cheetah trips another undead, slashing it with its claws.

Witch Doctor looks at them and nods. Then he moves towards the spider riders, drawing a bone kukri.

Finally, looks like Benkey and the guards managed to overcome the undead horde on the south side.

Round 3 can begin :smallcool:

The_Shaman
2013-02-25, 05:52 AM
Lao

The first undead falls quickly enough, Lao notices as he fends the others off with movements alternating between smooth and calm and whip-like fast. Well, there are several more, and one of them is already wounded. Time to really test his limits as a student of the Path of the Hundred and One Steps. His sword moves deceptively slowly, spreading a jingling sound as he moves it from one position to another. "Thousand Arms of Nitya" he hisses as he steps forward, then the charms and bells cry out like a wave of sound.

Five-foot step to position himself near a nearby enemy (or more than one if possible)
swift action: consume a ki point to get 1 more attack at full BAB. 5/7 remaining.
Full attack: Flurry of blows with sword, power attack on. He attacks the same enemy; if he kills it he moves on to another.

Attack: [roll4]
Damage: [roll5]

Chained Birds
2013-02-25, 06:36 AM
Ren

Ren felt like she was a bit off-balance with that last overrun, but was pleased with the results nonetheless. She glances around the battlefield for a second and figures she better get a bit serious and let louse the true form of Sharp Point.
Ren cracks her neck and knuckles. As she readies herself in a very aggressive fighting stance, her hair turns a bright crimson as her muscles grow visibly more defined. Some parts of her long hair coil above her head in spiral fashions. After uncoiling and falling back to their normal position, they are replaced by two large fiendish red horns.

"Return to dust!"

Ren pounces unto the creature and begins rending and goring it in a vicious fashion. She bites at the creature's neck while racking the creature's stomach with the claws at her feet. Before giving the creature time to recover, she leaps up from the monster's body, before falling back down, horn first, into the rider's chest; Impaling the creature where it heart should be.

Free Action: Enter Rage (15/15rds) [Current AC 18]
Full-Attack Action: Power Natural Attacks VS Spider-Rider A's Prone AC
- Claw Attack: [roll0]
- Damage:[roll1] (-2) Slash
- Crit Damage (x2):[roll3] (-2)

- Claw Attack: [roll4]
- Damage:[roll5] (-2) Slash
- Crit Damage (x2):[roll7] (-2)

- Bite Attack: [roll8]
- Damage:[roll9] Pierce
- Crit Attack (20): [roll10]
- Crit Damage (x2):[roll11]

- Gore Attack: [roll12]
- Damage:[roll13] (-2) Pierce
- Crit Attack (20): [roll14]
- Crit Damage (x2):[roll15] (-2)

Leriel
2013-02-25, 07:32 AM
The undead attacked by Lao manages somewhat to avoid the first attack, but the second and third moves from Lao savagely cut its body. The magic animating its body fails... it explodes in an hundred of pieces (Lao, Fortitude Saving Throw...)

OOC - I need a clarification about Ren's dmg output :smallwink:

Ren unleashes her fury against the undead... but her attacks seem somewhat not so efficient against the spider rider - surely it's badly injuried, but not yet overcomed.

TheTick
2013-02-25, 09:27 AM
Victor flexes his fingers, and his claws appear. He rakes at the zombie he attacked earlier.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Leriel
2013-02-25, 09:45 AM
Victor manages to wound again the undead... but it's still a menace. The creature tries to hit Victor, but it fails. Another walking dead attacks Victor and hits it (5 damages and Fortitude Saving Throw, please...)

Nathor manages to break free from the web.

Finally, an undead attacks Shefri, but fails to hit him.

Leriel
2013-02-25, 10:31 AM
One of the spiders quickly reach the guard on the north-west corner, still engulfed in the web... and it grabs him!

In the meantime, another spider attacks Nathor (the spiders have reach), inflicting 7 damages.

The prone spider-rider screams some words and tries to defend himself, while the two remaining spiders attack Ren.

One of them hits her, inflicting 4 damages (Fortitude Saving as usual); its rider also tries to hit Ren but misses.

Leriel
2013-02-25, 10:33 AM
On Lao's side: the two undeads try to hit Rayen, but they miss.

Starbin
2013-02-25, 11:37 AM
Knowing that his ability to strike opponents engaged in melee was limited, and not wanting to leave Strong Arm to fight alone, the forgemaster dropped his heavy crossbow and charged forward, his mighty axe at the ready.

Ideally, Felgor would make a move action and attack one of the creatures around Strong Arm (he's on my side, right?). If a single, 20ft move wouldn't make it, but a 40ft move would, then he'll charge. He'll be using his dwarven longaxe (reach weapon).

Attack: [roll0] (BAB, Str, flanking; add +2 if charge is required)
Damage: [roll1] (Lead Blades, Str, Divine Warrior Trait)

EDIT: Sigh ... the die roller giveth, and it taketh away ...

Leriel
2013-02-26, 05:43 AM
No need to charge for Felgor, who hurts an undead - and a slash of Strong-Arm finishes the creature, who explodes in an hundred fragments. The black man does not seem to worry, even if he's covered by the remains of the undead. Luckily Felgor is outside the area of the explosion... but he must face another undead that's turning against him!

Another undead is destroyed by the cheetah - that looks more like a shadow that a big cat.

Strong-Arm blinks at Felgor and turns to face the last undead (not the one who's facing Felgor :smallwink:).

Even if Strong-Arm was surrounded by more that 5 creatures, seems that he wasn't hurt by them...

Leriel
2013-02-26, 05:57 AM
On the west side, the efforts of Rayen and one of the insect-like creatures manages to destroy another undead, that explodes like its similar. But unluckily, the other fighters are not able to harm the other undead.

Benkei and a cleric moves to the west side to help the fight, while the remaining fighters on the south side moves to help Felgor and Strong-Arm.

Rayen shouts:
"Someone must stop the spider! It's taking away the guard!"

Nathor in the meantime tries to hit the giant spider that harmed him, but he misses the creature.

So it's Shefri's turn...

Metroid33
2013-02-27, 07:05 AM
Looking at the one dragging away the guard, Shefri channels his powers through his brace bracers. Feeling them start to burn his skin as they filled with energy. Staggering over as the bracers began to really burn. Pointing at the large insectoid with the guard. A surge of fire shoots out of the bracers, coiling around Shefri's arm and flying off of him straight at the creature.

Casting Scorching Ray
Hit:[roll0]
Sacrificing 4 Hit points for what ever the extra damage is.
Damage:[roll1]

Leriel
2013-02-27, 08:22 AM
The fire engulf the spider, which starts to burn - it looks like the flames are alive and they're taking pleasure to burn the creature. The flames also propagate to the rider, who start to burn, too.

In the meantime, Benkei managed to sprint and reach the creature... he stops looking at the magical fire, then he starts to take the captive guard away from the spider...

Suddenly he's hit by two arrows!

A creature gets closer - a nightmarish blend of a man and a spider.
He's still holding a great bow, and he's wearing a black armor.
It speaks to Benkei, while some black substance drops from his mouth:
"DoN't ToUcH mY PrEyS! aNd Do NoT dArE tO hIt My MiNiOnS!"

Benkei breaks the arrows, screaming with pain. Then he murmurs some words - and undergoes a transformation... he's looking more ursine, more powerful. He charge the half-man, half-spider creature, but he cannot manage to harm it.

Round 4!

Rayen doesn't manage to hurt the last undead facing him, but one of the insect-like creatures hits his foe with its luminous blades.
The undead unleashes his fury agains Rayen... the holy warrior was already badly injuried and he drops to the ground. But the clerics manage to hit the undead with holy water, destroying it (followed by the usual explosion - Lao, Fortitude ST please).

On the east side, the undead menacing Felgor manages to slip under the long axe of the dwarf - 6 damages and Fortitude ST please. Felgor can try an opportunity attack against it - if our Stone Brother manages to destroy it in one shot, remove this damage and the need for a ST :smallsmile:

Strong-Arm and the cheetah are following their routine attack - another undead falls under their hits.

Witch Doctor performs again his ritual, and another cheetah appears, moving Hari away from the battle.

Nathor screams and attacks the spider again. The blade of the fauchard starts to glow - and it cuts in two the spider who's facing him, making it exploding (Victor, Ren and Shefri - Fortitude ST, it's a BIG explosion).

Two spiders and a spider rider attack Ren - 6, 6 and 9 damages (4, 4 and 7 after the DR). 3 other Fortitude ST for Ren.

I was forgetting the undeads of the first wave... One tries to attack Nathor, but it fails. The second tries to attack Victor, but it fails, too. One tries to attack Shefri - hit! 6 damages and Fortitude ST.

RECAP:
- Lao: 1 ST
- Felgor: 1 ST unless he destroy his enemy with AoO
- Victor: 1 STs
- Shefri: 2 STs
- Ren: 4 STs

Metroid33
2013-02-27, 09:39 AM
Seeing the man with the great bow, Shefri reassesses his predicament. Deciding to take out the man with the bow. Moving just to the edge of his own range Shefri repeats his process. Channeling energy throw the bracers again Feeling it burn his arms again. Forcing the energy through his arm it surges forward at the man.

[roll0]
Sacraficing another 4 hit points for damage
Damage[roll1]

Chained Birds
2013-02-27, 09:45 AM
Ren

Ren gives a menacing look to the Spider-Person,

"I really like how you look! It is too bad I'll have to kill you."

The catfolk begins her assault with a feral bit to the creature's neck. Ren then takes a step on her target's leg, letting her foot claw dig in. She immediately follows this with a cutting backflip kick to the enemy's face to remove herself from the vicious bite she was carrying out. While mid-flip, she grabs the creature's shoulders and propel herself into its chest, horn first, leaving a massive hole where its liver should be.

Rage (13/15rds) [Current AC 18]

Full-Attack Action: Power Natural Attacks VS Spider-Rider A's (Still Prone?) AC
- Damage: [roll1] Slash
- Crit Damage (x2): [roll3]

- Damage: [roll5] Slash
- Crit Damage (x2): [roll7]

- Damage: [roll9] Pierce
- Crit Damage (x2): [roll11]

- Damage: [roll13] Pierce
- Crit Damage (x2): [roll15]

TheTick
2013-02-27, 10:03 AM
Gritting his teeth, Victor backs away from the remaining enemy (if able) and brings forth a ball of force in each hand, both of which pelt the nearest undead.

Magic missile:
[roll0]
[roll1]

5ft step away if there is room, otherwise let me know as I would cast defensively.

The_Shaman
2013-02-27, 10:35 AM
Lao

The ophiduan flinches slightly as the undead blows up, and looks down at Rayen uncertainly. "Do you have anything for his wounds? I'm no good at this. I will see if I can help the others."

(Lao will move to engage or charge the nearest other enemy. Which one is closest to him?)

Leriel
2013-02-27, 10:41 AM
Victor and Ren manages to destroy their foes, that explode (again, ST for both).

Shefri must roll
- a concentration check, since his spell caused an AoO that hit (6 dms... what's your total?)
- a caster level check to overcome Spell Resistance

Lao see that the most near foe is one of the spider that's attacking Ren.

TheTick
2013-02-27, 10:46 AM
[roll0]

What else is near to Victor?

Metroid33
2013-02-27, 10:52 AM
What are those rolls again?

Leriel
2013-02-27, 10:53 AM
Close to Victor:
- Two undead more or less damaged (one attacking Nathor and one Shefri);
- a little beyond, a spider and another spider with its spider-rider.

The half-man, half-spider creature is far (more than 40 ft from you).

Leriel
2013-02-27, 10:54 AM
What are those rolls again?

Shefri decided to unleash his fury against the man-spider-creature, but while he was concentrating, an undead attacked him.

Also, the man-spider-creature has SR to overcome :smallsmile:

I'm going to post a recap in OOC

Starbin
2013-02-27, 12:59 PM
Felgor was overbalanced as he tried to hit the undead undead monstrosity closing with him. Stumbling, he was struck in the side, eliciting a grunt from the sturdy dwarf. Stepping back, he swung again, trying to catch the foul thing before it followed him.

5ft Step back, attack: [roll0]
Damage if necessary: [roll1]

Here we go again ...

The_Shaman
2013-02-27, 05:15 PM
Lao see that the most near foe is one of the spider that's attacking Ren.

Lao

The monk looks around briefly, and seeing no closer foe than those attacking the catwoman, takes a moment to steady his poise and then hurls himself like a jingling thunderbolt.

Charge, trying to flank someone with Ren, PA
Attack: [roll0], +2 more if he can get flank

"I hope you don't mind the intrusion, miss Ren," he says in a somewhat croaking, rushed voice as he literally cuts (at) the spider's legs from underneath it.

Leriel
2013-02-28, 03:10 AM
Lao's attack was successfull - some foul liquid drips from the undead flesh of the spider.

Shefri managed to keep his concentration, but the spell somewhat fizzled against the creature... it just shed light on it for some moment, allowing you to see it properly: the upper part resembles a man, wearing a breastplate, while the lower part resembles a giant spider. You recognize it as a drider.

You also see a strange amulet on his neck - a triangle with the point downwards, into which is inscribed a reversed Y.

This ends round 4!

Round 5

The drider speaks to the spider-rider shrouded by the flame evoked by Shefri (the spider-rider seems to be unharmed by them!):
"SlAvE, BuRn ThE wAgOnS!"
Then the drider utters some arcane words, and a magical darkness surrounds it and Benkei.

The spider-rider, engulfed by the flames, starts to run toward the wagons!

Felgor:
Finally some help from the guards that were fighting on the south side! They manage to hit the undead just hurt by Felgor. Again, an explosion, but Felgor is unaffected. He can decide what to do.

In the meantime, Strong-Arm and the cheetah destroy their opponent.
This mean that no more undeads are menacing the east.

West Side:
A cleric manage to heal somewhat Rayen, who regain his feet. The two insect-like creatures attack the undeads close to Victor and Nathor, destroying the foul creatures (ST for Victor).

The remaining guards and the cleric moves to intercept the running, flaming spider-rider, preventing him from reaching the wagons, but they are hurt by the flames.

North Side:
Witch Doctor commands the second cheetah (that he summoned to help Hari) to attack the undead that hits Shefri. The undead falls prone.

Jacqueline and Hari manage to get rid of the webs.
The girl casts an healing spell to Shefri (9 HP), while Hari shoots his crossbow against the spider already hurt by Lao. The spider is badly hurt and it rears up; its spider-rider jump off from it, facing Lao.
It groans and attacks Lao with a claw/claw/slam combo, powered by an undead strength...
(Is Lao using the snake style?)

Nathor trips the last spider-rider.

The spider that was attacking Ren goes on, but it misses.

Remaining enemies recap:
- Drider
- Burning spider-rider
- Spider-rider prone
- Spider-rider attacking Lao
- Spider hurt by Lao and Hari
- Spider attacking Ren

Leriel
2013-02-28, 05:08 AM
Looking at the flaming undead, Jacqueline screams:
"They are ju-ju minions! Fire, lightning, magic missiles and cold will not harm them! Shefri, let's finish the spiders first!"

Chained Birds
2013-02-28, 06:19 AM
Ren

Ren shakes off some the the blood from her hands, before eying her next target. A simple enlarged spider doesn't interest her much, but she can't help but feel angry that the creature struck her a few times.
Ren also does a quick glance looking for the Drider, but can't really see it currently.

"Fine Regal One. But don't get in my path."

She then begins her new assault on her latest target. Though Ren's attack seem to show less enthusiasm fighting a simple spider, unlike when she fought the far more interesting Spider-Rider. Though she doesn't mind Gnawing on the creature's legs.

Rage (12/15rds) [Current AC 18]

Full-Attack Action: Power Natural Attacks VS Attacking Spider AC

Leriel
2013-02-28, 07:20 AM
"Gnawing" is the right word! The claws and gore attacks do not penetrate the chitinous exoskeleton of the undead spider, but the bite breaks a leg of it!

The enraged spider replies with a vicious bite (8 dmg, 6 after DR plus ST against its poison).

EDIT: We are at 25 total dmg to Ren. How many HP does she have during Rage?

TheTick
2013-02-28, 08:30 AM
[roll0]

Victor moves close enough to the drider to cast Grease under it.

Leriel
2013-02-28, 08:49 AM
Victor cannot see the drider, but he hears two "THUMP!" sounds. Looks like both the drider and Benkey fell :smalltongue:

TheTick
2013-02-28, 08:51 AM
OOC: I grease the darkness!

Leriel
2013-02-28, 08:55 AM
Then the drider utters some arcane words, and a magical darkness surrounds it and Benkei.

So the Grease affect both Mr. Drider and Benkei :smallwink:

TheTick
2013-02-28, 09:00 AM
As far as Victor is concerned, if it stopped the drider from advancing, he's good with it.

Leriel
2013-02-28, 09:05 AM
As far as Victor is concerned, if it stopped the drider from advancing, he's good with it.

It was a good move, I always understimate grease. It's just strange that an 8-legged creature has the same change to fall than a biped, BTW.

Starbin
2013-02-28, 09:14 AM
Ah, you've fell victim to the "I've got four wheel drive, therefore I can drive like an arse on black ice" theory :smallsmile: All it really means is that octopod-boy has more legs slipping and falling on the frictionless substance.

For the future, you could always modify the Stability traits to give multilegged things a chance to apply the bonus to all things balance related.

Leriel
2013-03-01, 02:42 AM
In the meantime, the burning spider is destroyed by the flames - nothing more than some ashes. The flames leave it and take the shape of a somewhat humanoid creature, that bows to Shefri and disappears.

The_Shaman
2013-03-01, 03:47 AM
Lao's movements seem unpredictable, yet his ki-fortified scales alone can ward off all but the most sure of blows.

((Yes, it's his default style and iirc he enters it as swift action at the start of combat. He's also under the effects of barkskin (CL 4) for +3 to natural armor, so his AC is 21/19 after charge; LMK if any of the attacks get past that - snake style dodge is immediate))

Leriel
2013-03-01, 04:22 AM
The attacks vs Lao that I rolled (http://www.roll-dice-online.com/) are 13+5, 19+5 and 20+5 (crit not confirmed :smallcool:). So the second claw *could* pass unless Lao rolls a good Sense Motive, while the slam passes. 7 damages Claw, 8 damages slam - roll your sense motive :smallwink:

The_Shaman
2013-03-01, 04:33 AM
Actually, would an immediate action this round (since I didn't use one in my previous round) prevent me from taking a quick action the next round? If yes, I won't roll.

If no, here: [roll0]

Leriel
2013-03-01, 04:38 AM
Lucky Ophidian :smallwink: just 8 damages from the slam. The first damages in this battle - please state your current HP amount, since I don't have a quick access to your data.

Starbin
2013-03-01, 09:58 AM
Felgor nodded his thanks to the soldiers. "'Ware yerselves, lads and may Moradin keep yer weapons and armor swift and strong!". He then took off in a rumbling trot towards the north to see what was happening.

The_Shaman
2013-03-01, 04:22 PM
Right: 22/30 hp, 21 AC (until barkskin wears off, at CL 4 it lasts for 40 minutes), F/R/W saves 6/6/7... anything else?

Metroid33
2013-03-01, 08:52 PM
Hearing the incantation of a grease spell a bit of a ways away, Shefri runs toward the splash of the grease. Pointing toward where it was he creates his ring of ignan. Forcing energy through it he aims for the grease planning to ignite it underneath the drider not sure who else might be in there.

Using my fire ray, You may notice I am not meta gaming for this, Shefri doesn't know who else is there just that the figure of the drider was last seen over there if you can think of something better for me to do then I will change my action r tell me who else is there.

attack[roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Leriel
2013-03-03, 01:23 PM
Nice move Shefri!

Metroid33
2013-03-03, 01:25 PM
OOC thank you. But isn't there an friendly effected by the grease.?

The_Shaman
2013-03-03, 02:16 PM
((Maybe... but for how long ;) I'm losing track btw, did Lao get his turn or not yet?))

Leriel
2013-03-04, 03:10 AM
@ Lao: You still have to take your action this turn (Lao was just hurt by a spider-rider)
@ Felgor: You move to the North and see what's happening (move action). You still have a standard action :smallwink:
@ Shefri: Benkei will be affected by the fire, too, but I suppose that Shefri was thinking that the undead hunter could take care of himself. We will see the outcome of your spell :smallbiggrin:

Ok, next are Lao and Felgor!

The_Shaman
2013-03-04, 05:56 AM
Lao

Lao is able to avoid most of the spider-rider's blows, but a powerful follow-up goes through is hasty defenses. His eyes narrow and he glares at the rider, hissing slightly. "By the teachings of Vadouni - they who boast borrowed greatness shall see it taken underneath them. Hzha-barkan!"

Actions:
Five-foot step to try and flank (or set up a flank with Ren)
Full attack: flurry with Power attack. I'm going for the mount, unless the rider is obviously less protected and more vulnerable. Let's see how tough this guy is when he's at eye level :smallbiggrin:

Attack: [roll]1d20+5[roll], +2 if flanking
Damage: [roll0]

Attack: [roll]1d20+5[roll], +2 if flanking

Leriel
2013-03-04, 08:22 AM
The sword of Lao cuts the spider-rider, but it has little effect. The foul necromancy that animated the creature is protecting it: sure, it's injuried, but more a nuisance than a serius wound.

EDIT: Lao, I forgot... Please, Fort ST (you were hit by the Spider-Rider :smallbiggrin:)

Starbin
2013-03-04, 11:07 AM
Seeing the three nearest allies were in no immediate danger, Felgor continued to trudge across the battlefield, hurrying to the nearest companions that required help.

Not seeing any enemies over here, so Felgor will trot to help out the closest melee combat - priority would probably be to help Ren and Lao, since they seem to be 'beset' ... thanks for clearing it up! He probably wouldn't stop to do a perception check at this point, but I throw a cursory glance one out there [roll0]

Typical.

Leriel
2013-03-04, 12:17 PM
OOC - Still requiring the ST from Lao :smallcool:

Round 6!

You hear some scream - and you see Benkei getting out the darkness, rolling on the ground, trying to extinguish the flames.

In the meantime, you see the drider getting out of the darkness... over it! It's levitating, somewhat injuried, still holding its bow.

The spider-rider shrouded by flames manage to grapple one of the guard that tried to stop it - and the flames seems to engulf the guard!
Surely the spell cast by Shefri seems a living flame!

The prone spider-rider crawl away from Nathor, that step forward and manage to hit it again; but one of the large spider manages to hit Nathor (AoO).

The last spider-rider still tries to hit Lao: this time, the attacks of the creature cannot overcome the defense of the ophidian.

Finally, the two large spiders try to hit Ren: one of them misses, but the other hits the arm of the catfolk, inflicting 10 damages (8 after DR).

Now the good ones:
- The cleric that just cured Rayen, followed by Rayen, move to help Benkei; the cleric creates some water, that douse the flames;
- the guards on the west side take the bow and try to hit the drider, but they miss;
- the two insect-like creatures shot two electric rays (one each) to the drider, hitting it!
- Hari shots again the crossbow, and the spider that he already hit explodes (Lao, another ST...)
- Witch Doctor order the cheetah to attack the last spider. The cheetah hits the creature, breaking a leg of the spider.

Now it's up to you :smallcool:

TheTick
2013-03-04, 02:49 PM
Victor points and chants at the nearest enemy, and a lance of fire again leaps forth from his hand.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Victor is targeting the nearest enemy not currently engaged in melee, if that's the Drider, here's the SR roll:
[roll2]

Starbin
2013-03-04, 03:15 PM
Felgor continued to trot towards the battles ...

With no distances listed, I'm not sure who's w/in melee range ... so he will continue to trot, I suppose.

Leriel
2013-03-05, 03:15 AM
Witch Doctor seems to concentrate... then he smiles. Well, a strange smile from such a strange man...

Nevertheless, he calls Strong-Arm and the other cheetah in a strange language, then he speaks in common:
"Sharp One, let me help you. Spiders are taboo for my tribe, but not for yours..."
Then he utters some strange words... and the claws, horns and teeth of Ren glows in a gray light...

In the meantime, Jacqueline was getting closer to Ren and she cast an heling spell (9 dmg healed).

Felgor's run put him at 5 ft from Lao and Ren.

The_Shaman
2013-03-05, 04:00 AM
Lao

The flow inside him seemed to grow erratic, hampered. Whatever dark energy was conducted by the magic binding those things, it was dangerous to those around them.

All the more reason to remove them here and now, then. Though he was now sworn to no one, his old oaths still stood, and some things did not have to be. "Vaish-hsia," he whispered, drawing in his breath before the attack as he circled around his foe in a dance of attacks, blocks, binds and counters.

Five foot step to move in for a flank if possible
Swift action: activate ki point for +1 attack in a flurry, 4/7 remaining
Full round action: flurry of blows, PA included

Attack:[roll0], +2 if flanking

Attack:[roll2], +2 if flanking

Attack:[roll4], +2 if flanking
Damage: [roll5]

Leriel
2013-03-05, 04:12 AM
Two of the attacks from Lao hit the creature. Again, the magic of the spider-rider protects it... but the creature is nevertheless suffering the damages from the attacks of the Ophidian. It looks seriously injuried (OOC - applying the dmg from the critical!)
The magic that hold it together fails... the spider-rider explodes, like the other undeads before.
(OOC - no need for further ST, Lao already failed one... :smallbiggrin:)

The_Shaman
2013-03-05, 05:30 AM
Heal: [roll0]
Knowledge: Religion [roll1]

Leriel
2013-03-05, 05:38 AM
OOC - Dice roller strikes back!

Lao knows nothing about this kind of undeads... but surely he was infected by some kind of disease, something that will drain his health away... or worse.

The_Shaman
2013-03-05, 05:46 AM
Well, the healers will probably have some idea about it. The route is supposed to be dangerous, and they knew there would be undead...

"Better," he simply says, as if to the creature, as it falls to dust.

Chained Birds
2013-03-05, 06:21 AM
Ren

Ren is overjoyed being surrounded by both friend and foe. She expresses this joy by attacking the Spider near her.

The Catfolk double kicks the Spider in the face, and uses the momentum from the second kick to carry herself a slight bit away from the creature. She does so so she can achieve a perfect distant and angle to Gore one of the Spider's eyes.

Rage (11/15rds) [Current AC 18]

Full-Attack Action: Power Natural Attacks VS Remaining Spider's AC

Leriel
2013-03-05, 07:37 AM
The claws of Ren tear the undead flesh of the spider, ripping its face... and the gore finishes it. The spider is no more - just an explosion of small pieces of its barbed feet.

Metroid33
2013-03-06, 10:54 AM
Regretting igniting the grease, shefri points up at the drider and let's put another ray of fire.

Casting scorching ray
Hit:[roll0]
I remember he has SR but I don't remember what roll I need.

Leriel
2013-03-06, 10:59 AM
I remember he has SR but I don't remember what roll I need.

No problem, the ray missed the drider... What a pity!!! :smallwink:

BTW to overcome its SR you have to make a caster level check (1d20+4).

Starbin
2013-03-06, 07:08 PM
Stepping forward, Felgor used his longaxe to assist Ren in her battle, hoping to put the last spider between a rock and a sharp place.

If I followed correctly, there's still one more spider on Ren. So, move to set up flank with Ren on last spider (avoiding AOOs); Attacking spider with longaxe.

Sorry for the delay ... long day in training!

Leriel
2013-03-07, 03:32 AM
Thanks to the effort from Felgor, the last spider is destroyed... again, it explodes in hundreds of fragments.

Round 7!

Let's start with the Drider:
The creature is still floating... it moves its bloated abdomen in mid-air, shooting a thick web wire and hitting a nearby tree [Standard Action].
Then the drider follows the wire, "climbing" on it in mid-air, until it puts its legs on the web-covered tree [Move Action].

The cleric near Benkei cast an healing spell on him;
Benkei takes a dagger from his belt and throws it to the drider, but he misses.
Rayen angrily charges toward the tree reached by the drider, using his longsword like an axe, trying to break the tree, but his powerful blow it's not enough.

The prone Spider-Rider wounded and tripped by Nathor tries to jump up;
Nathor tries to prevent it (AoO), but he misses.
So the creature moves away, reaching the drider.

The guard grappled by the burning spider-rider drops to the ground; the near cleric try to summon some water, but he's hit by the burning creature (AoO) and he looses the spell.
The other near guard hits the burning creature, but he does not manage to hurt it;
finally, the burning spider-rider hits the cleric with a powerful slam, making him fell to the ground unconscious.

Nathor turns and charges the burning spider-rider, hitting it with the glowing fauchard: the creature screams in pain, while the flames surrounding it moves from it to Nathor, engulfing him.

Jacqueline casts another healing spell on Ren (7 dmg healed), while Witch Doctor moves near Lao, uttering strange words and touching him.
Lao feels stronger!

Hari moves toward the fallen cleric and guard (that were hit by the burning spider-rider); he takes a vial of holy water and use it to douse the flame on the cleric.
A couple of guards follow him, making the same with the fallen guard.

The two insect-like creatures throw their luminous swords at the drider, but with no effect.

Also, two guards try to hit the drider with their bows, but they miss.

The last action is from the cheetahs: following the orders of Witch Doctor, they attack the burning spider-rider (already damaged by Nathor), hitting the creature and making it explode.

So there are just two remaining enemies: the drider and a spider-rider (near it).

Now it's your turn :smallcool:

TheTick
2013-03-07, 07:23 AM
Victor gathers two more balls of pure force, and sends them at the spider-rider.

Magic Missile!
[roll0]
[roll1]

Leriel
2013-03-07, 07:31 AM
Victor gathers two more balls of pure force, and sends them at the spider-rider.

Magic Missile!
[roll0]
[roll1]

The spider-rider is hit by the magic missiles, but it looks like that the magic has no effect...

Jacqueline shouts to Victor (while curing Ren):
"Fire, cold and raw magical force will not harm that creatures!"

Victor remembers that Jacqueline already told it to Shefri...

Starbin
2013-03-07, 08:42 AM
As the group converged on the tree, Felgor thought for a moment, then had an idea. Whispering divine magiks, he reached out with his right hand like he was grasping something, then whipped his wrist around several times.

Near the drider, the web line the thing had cast began to move on its own, attempting to trap the (unsuspecting?) monster before it could harm them!

okay, trying to think outside the forged container here.
Standard action - cast Animate Rope (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/spells/animateRope.html#_animate-rope).
Move action - hoist the drider by its own petard ... Er, entangle it in its own web. I'm guessing the Reflex save would be 15, and looks like no SR :smallsmile:

Hoping this works!
HPs: 22/30 (I think)
Lead blades (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/advanced/spells/leadBlades.html#_lead-blades) (4 min)
Animate Rope (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/spells/animateRope.html#_animate-rope) (3/4 rnds)

Spells:

Metroid33
2013-03-07, 08:44 AM
Coating himself in magical armor Shefri moves towards the spider rider ready to chop it up with his Kopesh.

Standard to cast mage armor.
Move to close the distance with the rider.

Leriel
2013-03-07, 09:31 AM
Good move Felgor! :smallcool:

The drider just put its feet on the tree, when the web tries to entagle it. He manages to avoid the attack of its own web, this time (OOC - I rolled an unmodified 19); but now it has a new enemy to care about! :smallwink:

EDIT: OK, so now it's the turn of Lao and Ren.

Chained Birds
2013-03-07, 01:48 PM
Ren

Cracking her claws, and thinking twice about her next action, Ren rushes towards the remaining Spider-Rider and pounces on him in a rage.

Rage (10/15rds) [Current AC 16]

Full-Round Action: Charging Overrun vs Spider Rider CMD
- Rage Power: 5 Damage to target.
- Special: If check is 5 higher then target's CMD, then they are knocked Prone.

Leriel
2013-03-07, 03:00 PM
Ren charges the spider-rider, who's pushed prone on the ground.

Chained Birds
2013-03-07, 03:49 PM
(A full description of events)

Ren

Ren rushes towards the Rider and clutches her hands together when she attempts to pass over him. She then bashes the Rider on the back of his neck as she jumps past him, leaving the enemy to face-plant the ground.

The_Shaman
2013-03-10, 12:28 PM
Lao

Rushing soon after Ren, Lao charges at the spider-rider, running from the side so they encircle the wounded spider-rider.

charge w. power attack, trying for a flank if possible, and with PA:
attack:, flank and possible bonus for prone foe not included
Damage:[roll] 1d8+5

Leriel
2013-03-11, 03:12 AM
The hit from Lao finishes the spider-rider, that explodes like its brethren.

Round 8!

The drider is getting angry - it's hissing, spitting and roaring.
It quickly jumps to a near tree, in order to avoid its own web trying to grab it [move action]; it drops its bow on the branches of the tree [free action] and utters some arcane words [standard action].

Suddenly a battle axe of dark energy appears near Lao and Ren.

The drider starts to sing, pointing its finger to Benkei, then Rayen, Ren and Lao:
"EeNeE, mEeNeE, mAiNeE... mO!"

The battle axe hits Lao... for 10 damages!

Benkei seems still suffering from the poison on the arrows of the drider. He takes another dagger and throws it to the drider, but the dagger bounces on the armor of the creature.

Rayen screams at it: "By the hallowed name of Al-Kalim! Monster, prepare yourself to face the wrath of the righteous!"
His great sword starts to glow in a silvery light.

The insect-like creatures throw again their strange luminous swords at the drider, but it easily dodge them.

Jacqueline moves near Shefri, Lao and Ren.

Some of the guards scream and faint. Hari, Witch Doctor and the other guards take some vials and take care of their fellows.

Nathor is getting closer to Shefri, Ren and Lao, but he looks suffering - he hardly moves forward.

NOTE:
Shefri, Ren and Lao are near the exploded spider-rider; Benkei and a cleric are at about 10 ft from them, while Rayen is at about 20 ft (he's the one nearer to the drider, that's still on a tree).

Victor, Nathor and Felgor are a little behind - let's say 15 ft to Shefri, Lao and Ren.

Now it's your move!

Chained Birds
2013-03-11, 05:44 AM
Ren

Ren jets off towards the tree where the Drider is hanging from. While rushing towards the Spider Creature, Ren draws her second chakram and tosses the object up at the monster.

"Catch!"

Ren's chakram toss goes off into the tree branches... The weapon doesn't come back down. Hopefully the Drider didn't see that.

Rage (9/15rds) [Current AC 18]

Move Action: Move until positioned under the Tree (30ft)
Standard Action: Chakram Attack VS Drider AC
- Crit Confirm (20): [roll2]
- Crit Damage (x2): [roll3] Slash

Starbin
2013-03-11, 06:29 PM
Felgor chugged forward, keeping his spell active for now, but uncertain if it would still be worthwhile now. His axe at the ready, he prepared to defend the others as necessary.

Move action to reach five feet past Shefri, Lao and Ren (towards the drider), then holding an action to attack if the drider closes. Keeping the Animate rope spell active, but I'm not sure it'll do any good.

TheTick
2013-03-12, 07:28 AM
Victor, with little else to try, blasts the Drider with another ray of flame. Maybe I'll distract it...

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]