PDA

View Full Version : Shadows of the Past 5

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

AlanBruce
2013-02-10, 08:17 PM
@Tarith: You decide to leave the statue alone and head out towards the last door unexplored in this blue hallway.

You pass the windows and see two of those horrifying Crimson heads patting their claws against the window from outside. Their faces pressed against the pane. As you walk past them you can hear them growling behind you, clearly having sensed you.

You try the last door here and it is unlocked.

The first thing that captures your attention is the whirring sound of a motor to your left. It has an open latch and two handles- a red one and a blue one. This room is a small garden. It is forty by forty feet. To your left, thirty feet towards the back, you see shelves with four potions. In the center of the room, a fountain pumps water to a a mass of vines that have covered the entire place. Behind the fountain, you see a mask. It has no eyes. The mask is mounted to the wall, serving as a head of sorts to a beautiful set of chainmail.

Archmage1
2013-02-10, 08:23 PM
Tarith examines the red and blue handles, as well as the latch, trying to determine their purpose

Disable device, take 10, for a 31

AlanBruce
2013-02-10, 08:27 PM
@Tarith: You examine the motor, which keeps on whirring as it pumps water to the fountain. In fact, you deduce that, under the heavy growth of vines which cover the ceiling as well, there must be some tubes that may release water to other parts of the garden. The open latch is filled with water, but is big enough to accomodate something inside.

Archmage1
2013-02-10, 08:28 PM
Tarith tries to disable the motor, seeking to determine if there is anything in the open latch, as well as to see if the vines react.

31 disable device

AlanBruce
2013-02-10, 08:54 PM
@Tarith: You attempt to disable the motor, but this seems to get the plants very irritated, some begin crawling at your feet.

Are you keeping track of all items found?

Archmage1
2013-02-10, 09:26 PM
Tarith re-activates the motor, and places the bag of chemicals in the compartment, hoping that it would deal with the plant. He then pulls the red lever.

AlanBruce
2013-02-10, 09:34 PM
@Tarith: You place the suppressant bag in the motor and close the latch. Pulling down the red lever makes the water in the fountain go red. The vines around the fountain writhe about with a muted scream and then wither as they drop lifeless to the ground.

You walk around the fountain and examine the mask.

It looks like one of those Cutter was wearing, but it lacks eyes. As if the mold purposefully lacked them. You examine the armor. Light chain, mithril, most likely. It should give you better protection than what you have now.

Archmage1
2013-02-10, 09:39 PM
Tarith changes into the new armor, marveling at its weight. He places the eyeless mask into the bag, as well as the leather armor, before searching the room more completely, now that the various latches were not obscured by the plant.

41 search.

Tarith's AC is now 24, instead of 18

AlanBruce
2013-02-10, 09:49 PM
@Tarith: You look around the plant infested room, but only find the four potions and pocket them.

Then, you hear a crash outside.

The windows from the corridor.

Archmage1
2013-02-10, 09:51 PM
Tarith makes a run for the exit, hoping to get through the white door, and close it behind him.

AlanBruce
2013-02-10, 10:03 PM
@Tarith: You leave the plant room with all items and look at the blue corridor.

Not good. The two Crimson Heads block the ten foot wide passage. They look at you and growl.

Initiative: [roll0]

[roll1]

Archmage1
2013-02-10, 10:04 PM
[roll0] init

AlanBruce
2013-02-10, 10:12 PM
@Tarith: One goes first, then you, followed by the second, since you have higher dexterity and tied with him.

One of the crimson heads lunges at you with a growl and his yellow claws.

Charge: Claw [roll0] damage [roll1] if hit, imp. grab [roll2] if gran cannot be broken, bite [roll3]

Archmage1
2013-02-10, 10:14 PM
As the new armor proves it's worth, Tarith withdraws, moving past the unprepared second crimson head, and through the white door, closing it behind him.

The other one is flat-footed, so no AOO for it

AlanBruce
2013-02-10, 10:17 PM
@Tarith: Once again evading death at the hands of Cutter's monstrosities, you duck just as the Crimson head lunges at you. Wasting no time, you run past it and the second one, looking back as the two undead turn their wrathful gaze upon you and then, a white door, as you slam it tight behind you.

You take a moment to catch your thoughts. many doors. All of them guarded, and rather well.

Where to next?

Archmage1
2013-02-10, 10:18 PM
Tarith makes his way towards the Siren Door, hoping to avoid further fighting.

So... many... unopened doors.
So much more of Tarith's equipment to recover...

AlanBruce
2013-02-10, 10:30 PM
@Tarith: You jog through the empty hallway, up the stairs, past the dead Crimson head, then take the balcony, past the smoked remains of the hound, taking the alternate door that will lead you to the second floor foyer.

A better option than having to deal with the mutated guards or that leechwalker. You notice that there is a door across the foyer on the second floor that needs a Helmet Key, which you have. However, in order to reach the Siren door, you'd have to go downstairs through the hound hallway, where they broke through the windows, or upstairs, where other locked doors remain, as do Crimson heads...

Archmage1
2013-02-10, 10:36 PM
Remembering the door across the foyer, Tarith heads there instead

As you have probably guessed, I don't have a nifty guide to the mansion written out. I really should make one, but I don't have the time to do it.

AlanBruce
2013-02-10, 10:43 PM
@Tarith: You cross the second floor foyer and head for the door at the far end of the east wing here.

Unlocked now.

You find yourself in a balcony. Much smaller than the other one, this one has a ten foot wide spread. and extends for fifty feet, before turning left another fifty feet. The body of a Crimson Head lies against the side of the door.

A murder of crows watches from the roof above, silently as you make your way through. You pass the fallen body of a Crimson Head. Twenty feet forward another one.

You spot at the end of the balcony a wooden box on a table.

Archmage1
2013-02-10, 10:46 PM
This is made with the assumption that the bodies are inanimate. Are they covered with crow pecks?

Tarith continues heading towards the wooden box. When he reaches it, he carefully watches the crows as he examines the box

32 stealth
25 perception
31 search

AlanBruce
2013-02-10, 10:52 PM
@Tarith: The bodies seem inanimate, but you know better. They are indeed covered in pecks. will they get up? Hopefully not.

You search the box. It has a smiling theater mask drawn on it.

No traps can be seen.

Upon opening the box, bonanza!

You find an onyx, although not the one used to communicate with Palindurias. Your golemstrike wand, the bone ring, and two acid flasks.

The crows begin cawing as you look at the contents and hear low growls behind you.

The Crimson Heads, they have awoken.

Initiative:

[roll0]

[roll1]

[roll2]

AlanBruce
2013-02-10, 11:04 PM
@Tarith: The two Crimson heads closer to you growl as they charge in. The one closer to the door is not visible at this time. The crows above caw incessantly. Like grim spectators.

1. Charge: [roll0] damage [roll1] plus imp. grab [roll2] if grabbed, bite [roll3]

2. Charge: [roll4] damage [roll5] plus imp. grab [roll6] if grabbed, bite [roll7]

dantiesilva
2013-02-10, 11:07 PM
As Dantie listens to the creature rant and rave he begins to channel his divine powers as a magical aura comes around him, as if a bubble of protection. So then if you are here for me then will you give me the honor of knowing who you are and who your contract is with. I want to make sure they know you failed and whos name to mark on the hedgestone when they bury you in the ground. Dantie says with a smile.

Because of Xanders rolls I now have +5 to attacks against him, thank you Xander. Also will be readying an action to fire off a greater dispel magic.

Archmage1
2013-02-10, 11:08 PM
Tarith is grappled, and takes 19 damage, probably getting infected by the disease in the process.

Are the crows attracted to bright objects?

Archmage1
2013-02-10, 11:13 PM
In either case

Tarith tries to escape the zombie's grasp, not wanting to be infected

[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

if he succeeds with the two 13's, he tries tumbling past the crimson heads
[roll4] dc 15, aoo 1
[roll5] dc 17. aoo 2

AlanBruce
2013-02-10, 11:24 PM
@Tarith: You try to wriggle away from the monster's grasp. this one attempts to hold you tight.

Grapple [roll0] if grabbed, bite [roll1]

AlanBruce
2013-02-10, 11:33 PM
@Tarith: You try your hardest, but the creature is strong. The other zombie gets in close and begins clawing at your side.

Claw [roll0] damage [roll1]

@Dantie: You smile at the creature and call forth Pelor's power to encase you. This assassin has no chance.

"Contracts are private, Dantie. If you were to hire me, what kind of a reputation would I get if I blurted out your name to my prey? Sadly, that isn't the case. You aren't my client, you are the job. and I'm here to do it. But first..."

Klaus sends four darts. Two head for Clover, the other two for Xander.

@Clover: dart, ranged [roll2] damage [roll3] DC 30 Fort. or be unconscious for [roll4] hours

dart, ranged [roll5] damage [roll6] DC 30 Fort. or be unconscious for [roll7] hours

@Xander: dart, ranged [roll8] damage [roll9] DC 30 Fort. or be unconscious for [roll10] hours

dart, ranged [roll11] damage [roll12] DC 30 Fort. or be unconscious for [roll13] hours

Archmage1
2013-02-10, 11:40 PM
Tarith, managing to escape from the zombie after being bitten once more on the shoulder. Moving adeptly, he manages to get past the two zombies.

dantiesilva
2013-02-10, 11:42 PM
So I see this will be a private dance then will it? As for your contact I guess I will have to learn it the hard way. Dantie then keeps his ground waiting for the first move to be made.

AlanBruce
2013-02-10, 11:47 PM
@Dantie: The assassin smiles.

"As you wish, Dantie..."

Klaus seems to disappear from sight.

Hide: [roll0]

Move Silently: [roll1]

@Tarith: Being mauled is never a good idea. You break free from the disease ridden grasp of the Crimson head and leap backwards over both of them, their Claws barely scratching your belt.

You then run down the balcony towards the door.

And there you find the other one, blocking it.

Archmage1
2013-02-10, 11:49 PM
Having no other choice, Tarith tries to evade it, starting with a feint to the left, followed by a sharp twist to the right, his feet running along the balcony has he tries to make it.

[roll0] tumble

NathanB1486
2013-02-10, 11:51 PM
Seeing the darts flying his way, Xander quickly casts greater mirror image(immediate action) splitting into [roll0] images.

If any still hit Xander, If Xander is unconscious, does he fall to the ground, or does the fly spell keep him aloft? (Or does it act like it was dismissed/dispelled and have Xander float to the ground?)
Fort [roll1]
Fort [roll2]

Also Heading to bed, if Klaus is still away from the party, and Xander has another turn, he will try to cast freezing fog on Klaus to delay him further.

dantiesilva
2013-02-10, 11:56 PM
Seeing the creature trying invisible Dantie reminds himself that he really needs to get Tarith to teach him a way to get around the trick besides relying on his ability to detect evil. Are we really going to start this again, really now Varian tried the same thing. It failed. And with that launches his spell that he has been holding to interupt him and cancel out all his other magic.

Using my readyed GDM to cast on him. The trigger being he is trying to use a spell. [roll0]

AlanBruce
2013-02-10, 11:58 PM
@Dantie: The assassin seems to have moved. You steady your sword and keen Not wasting anytime, you intone the ancient words and hope that Pelor's might may take away any prepared magic he may carry on. Klaus laughs.

"Really, Dantie? I kill casters like you for breakfast. A good try, however. My magic is bestowed upon me through my gear. And believe me, pelorite. This gear was crafted by someone very powerful."

@Tarith: The Crimson Heads charge at you from both sides.

1. Charge: [roll6] damage [roll7] plus imp. grab [roll8] bite [roll9]

2. Charge: [roll10] damage [roll11] plus imp. grab [roll12] bite [roll13]

3. Charge: [roll14] damage [roll15] plus imp. grab [roll16] bite [roll17]

dantiesilva
2013-02-10, 11:59 PM
A 15 and nothing...wow thats just wrong on so many levels alan XD. See Tarith its fair. I am a optimized Dispeller he makes sure an optimized caster makes the items.

Strange if you ate people like me for breakfast there would not be a single caster left in this world. Unless of course it takes you years to do so. Nice to know though that if not for your master you would be nothing. So is Cutter paying you well? Or perhaps Connor? Either way this wont be as simple as my friends. Your darts will never work. It seems to me like the odds are in my favor would you not agree? Dantie says trying to stall for time.

Using a ready action do a full round action to move backwards if he moves foward. And how is a dart going 80ft with no penalty?

AlanBruce
2013-02-11, 12:06 AM
@Tarith: Once again, death coming from all sides and the crows cawing above you, you know you need to get out of that balcony...and fast.

The three fevered monstrosities charge at you, but all seem to miss by inches. You take no time in questioning your luck and run for that door, closing it behind you with a hard thud.

A close one, but that wound is deep. Now, where to?

AlanBruce
2013-02-11, 12:22 AM
@Dantie: Klaus smiles.

"The Clown Inquisitor? No, he did not send me on this job. The other one, though.... hehehhehehe. Let's see how tough you really are, Dantie."

Klaus seems to disappear.

An Astral stalker can throw a dart up to 180 ft. without penalty.

dantiesilva
2013-02-11, 12:25 AM
Holy **** thats far. And seeing he went invisible I move back 80 ft making the distance 160ft prior to him moving.

You know this is an old game that I used to play with others as well. A certain doppleganger thought he could best me and my friends by similar tactics. he died. Dantie says moving back another 80ft.

Archmage1
2013-02-11, 12:25 AM
Tarith drinks another of the ever present potions [roll0], before heading to the nearest, safest(as in route) helmet locked door.

(yea, my lack of organization shows there)
32 stealth
25 perception

He will keep as far from enemies as he can. If needed, he will bypass zombies over hounds.

AlanBruce
2013-02-11, 12:35 AM
@Dantie: Klaus stays in place.

"You talk a lot, Dantie, yet you keep moving further back. Afraid? I was told you were a champion of your church. Yet you haven't even attempted to strike me. Watch this little trick..."

Klaus tosses four darts at Xander, aiming for his remaining mirages, and hoping to strike whichever are left, and him.

Dart1: [roll0] damage [roll1] fort. DC 30 or asleep for [roll2] hours

Dart2: [roll3] damage [roll4] fort. DC 30 or asleep for [roll5] hours

Dart3: [roll6] damage [roll7] fort. DC 30 or asleep for [roll8] hours

Dart4: [roll9] damage [roll10] fort. DC 30 or asleep for [roll11] hours

@Tarith: You decide to go for the easiest way to the Siren Door.

That would be the unlocked Sword door in this same floor. You know there are two Helmet Doors in the hallway...and two Crimson heads, but it is the safer route, unless you wish to go downstairs through the hounds.

dantiesilva
2013-02-11, 12:45 AM
And normally cowards do not hide from me. Those who say they are here to get me try there best. Not hide and threaten those who this dose not concern. you are a coward. no wounder you are not on the astral plane. you are a disgrace to your very race. Picking on those weaker then you. It is you who is afraid because if you were not you would have come for me. Just like the lich did. A pity you are a bigger coward then he. Even a fey that has half her marbles, I am more afraid of naked then you in all your glory. you look like a small little ***** cat compared to them. Dantie says to the creature. Asking Xander what is taking him so long when he is informed that this one is with Myriam. Oh so you are one of Valitas men. Well then that makes things even more amusing. It must get aggravating to him to see all of you fail him. Really only one of you have even done anything of note. and she is not here. You are nothing to me Klarus, for I have been against Nerine and lived. You want to have a bad day get on her bad side. You are nothing more then an annoying memory that has not found out that it is already dead. Dantie says with a grin.

Ready action to move back farther if he does anything but attack, he will go left around the building. If he attacks Dantie will stay there Taunting him.

AlanBruce
2013-02-11, 12:49 AM
@Dantie: Klaus starts moving towards you.

"Little prey... you amuse me. I like it when they talk tough. It just makes their pleas for mercy that more ironic when they kneel before me, asking for a quick death."

Double move 100 ft.

AlanBruce
2013-02-11, 12:59 AM
@Clover: You fire the iced blasts again at Klaus, but this time, he swats them away.

"The lizard man shows some skill. Let me teach you how to do it."

A volley of darts fly towards you and one whizzes past you.

The other goes straight for the throat.

Immediately, you feel very drowsy. Falling asleep here isn't safe, but your eyes, just can't keep up...

The last words you hear are Dantie taunting the monster. hopefully he will lure him away.

AlanBruce
2013-02-11, 02:22 AM

A few days ago, deep underground....

A woman with a lithe figure floats in a large glass cylinder. Her blonde hair undulates gracefully around her as she is completely asleep. The tube is covered in a thin layer of ice The vault where she is looks like a lab, filled with strange machines that pump more of the life sustaining liquid into the tube.

Then, the machines stop pumping and the woman opens her eyes.

With but a stare, the cylinder that keeps her confined begins to crack and with a gush of amniotic fluids, out comes the woman who can barely keep herself up. A few minutes later, the woman stands up and heads for a locker and puts on a velvet dress and a red choker around her slender neck.

Something has awoken her from sleep, but what...

The cries of pain as men are slaughtered in the halls draws her attention. The woman walks out of the lab and finds several men decapitated or with their rib cages torn apart.

These are men with the local militia.

A man in a trench coat and a hat finds himself surrounded by reptilian humanoids with thick claws. He draws a weapon as the creatures snarl at him and sidestep as they await a moment to strike. As the man sees the woman, he smiles and bows.

"My lady. I see you are awake."

The woman looks at the creatures and these begin moving towards the man. Fear fills his eyes.

"Wait, no! I mean no harm! I became privy to this place and you and wanted to talk. The city needs you, my lady."

The creatures retreat as the woman looks at him.

"Who are you? What do you want from me?"

The man bows again and smiles.

"My name is Hathway, my Lady. I and those men butchered in the ground came here to find you. We had heard you would be here and..."

Hathway is thrust to a wall by the woman's stare.

"Nobody knows I'm here, Hathway! Are you a spy? You are here to steal my research?"

Hathway struggles with this power. Normally, he'd be able to absorb it, but this isn't magic. This is something else entirely.

"C..Cutter, my lady. Dr. Cutter told me. please release your grasp. Halmathan needs you!"

The woman's eyes widen at the mention of that name. Hathway is freed from the invisible grasp as the reptilian creatures back away from him.

"Dr. Cutter? He was my mentor. A gifted man, yes. But flawed in his approach to a more permanent solution to the city. He has returned?"

Hathway walks up to her and hands her a blue print rolled up.

"Yes, he has. He has returned to his home in the Mercy. In a way, he is also interested in furthering the cause of the city, but I believe you can do better. I am not mistaken, am I, Andrea?"

Andrea takes the blue print and looks at it.

"This is what you want to do? Ambitious, but flawed. It isn't perfect. I can make a better version of this, Hathway. For that, though, I will need subjects. The ones I have are dated."

Hathway smiles beneath his hat.

"Subjects will be provided, Lady Swayne."

AlanBruce
2013-02-11, 04:36 AM
@Clover: You walk through the meadow. The air is fresh, like a spring morning. You know you are dreaming, and hopefully alive. If only you could hear or see what was going on in the waking world.

You walk up the hill and this one ends in a cliff. you look below and a few miles down you see Halmathan, the City of Power. Beautiful in its design.

Yet something's wrong down there...smoke? Why is there smoke coming out of the city.

Something is happening to Halmathan. A tremendous surge of power begins to unleash over the city as you watch helplessly. You can hear thousands- millions cry in agony as this eldritch surge of power washes over the land.

As the smoke rises miles above, covering everything in darkness, you see it. Something monstrous and large rises from the City of Power- A being infused with so much raw power it drains even yours. The ground begins to blacken as this figure seems to draw all energy into it. The creature, from its veil of smoke, turns its glowing eyes to you and you feel being drawn to it, as you find an orifice where its mouth ought to be behind the smoke.

Then, darkness.

And that will be it, until you wake up.

Archmage1
2013-02-11, 07:27 AM
Tarith, wanting this nightmare to end sooner, rather than later, heads towards the unlocked sword door, potentially risking fighting with the two crimson heads, but allowing him access to two more helmet doors. Once he gets there, he will try and reach one of the locked doors, keeping 30 feet away from the crimson heads if he can. He will open it, and head inside. If it is another link to the rest of the house, he will proceed to the next door, and repeat the procedure.

32 stealth
25 perception

dantiesilva
2013-02-11, 09:41 AM
Sorry to disappoint you but there will be none of that from me. Dantie says running all the way to the end of the house and then turning the corner. Keeping this creature out of sight was what he had to do at this moment. And thats what he would do

Think I may have away to be safe. Wall of good can be used to encase me Xander and Clover as it covers 30ft nothing evil can bypass it, meaning none of their attacks can go through. Without passing a Will save of 25 which should not be that hard saying astral stalker has a +18. But it will slow it down hopefully long enough. Then I can either attack it and kill it or myriam will be there.

AlanBruce
2013-02-11, 05:11 PM
@Xander: You cast an illusion of a wall- several, to be precise. In order to fool Klaus. The Astral stalker grins.

"If that is the best you can do, mage, you really ought to consider leaving while you can."

@Tarith: Knowing what awaits in any of the choices you make, you take the unlocked Sword Door to the corridor with the as of yet unopened Helmet Doors.

You walk in and, twenty feet away you see one of those hideous Crimson heads, staring at you with fumes coming out of its head. You cannot see the other one, but are certain it must be past the corner.

Archmage1
2013-02-11, 05:24 PM
[roll0] init

Archmage1
2013-02-11, 05:25 PM
Seeing the zombie caught by surprise, Tarith tries to reach, and pass through, one of the locked helm doors before the zombie has a chance to act.

AlanBruce
2013-02-11, 06:03 PM
@Tarith: Running Past the Crimson head, you take the wooden door to your right.

Unlocked now.

This room is empty of any creatures. It begins with a five foot trek into a ten foot square, with a pillar in the middle to support the room. There is a sharp turn left.

Spot: [roll2]

Listen: [roll3]

Archmage1
2013-02-11, 06:24 PM
[roll0] hide
[roll1] move silently
[roll2] spot
[roll3] listen

Tarith alertly heads into the room, looking down the corridor to the left.

AlanBruce
2013-02-11, 06:48 PM
@Tarith: You hear nothing as you cautiously walk past the corner and see a short five foot trek to a wooden door.

Unlocked.

This next corridor stretches for fifty feet to your left, with a wall to your right. At the end of this corridor, to the left, is a wooden door. In front of you, a flight of stairs ascend ten feet to a door covered in cobwebs. Probably the attic.

A Shield is engraved on the door.

Having no shield key, you walk towards the other door at the end of the corridor and check the doorknob.

Unlocked.

This room looks like a small lab. The room is a twenty foot square with various jars and vials in perfect- if old, condition. A bookshelf lies to the right. Some notes have been left here, on the table.

Regarding the Progenitor Series

As much as it shames me to admit, Andrea is a genius. Like a true goddess of Creation, she has managed to create sentient life from the smallest and most insignificant of organisms- the Hirudo Medicinalis, or in layman's terms, the leech.

This new organism, dubbed by her as Progenitor has been able to spawn countless creatures resembling a mass of leeches but that can, at her command, assume the form they once had before being treated.

Needless to say, the process isn't for the faint of heart.

The creature's abilities are extraordinary. Able to assume a passive and active form. Once in active form, the progenitors are relentless. Their sense of echolocation puts my own experiments at fault. Even at near death in combat, the Progenitor Series can enable a self destruct sequence, whereas they can not only damage those around them, but infect them with the strain. I have been able to replicate some of the characteristics, but the tremendous mental command Andrea has is one of those secrets that elude me still.

The teacher however, cannot be outsmarted, further research shall vindicate me.

Archmage1
2013-02-11, 06:54 PM
Interesting. Killing the leech things gives them a chance to make me one of them. At least I know not to try now. I wonder how they react to salt...

Tarith searches the lab, looking for any valuable ingrediants, any potions, any hidden items(such as another piano roll), or anything else of use

41 search.

You know, I am starting to feel sort of bad about this. Alan, you spend the effort to design varied, and interesting rooms, any my reaction is take 20 on search, leave. Please don't get the impression that I am ignoring what you post.

AlanBruce
2013-02-11, 07:07 PM
@Tarith: Don't worry. After all, Tarith would be in much of a hurry with death lurking in pretty much every room to stop and father his thoughts on the decor.

You search around the room.

Empty vials. However, the wall at the end of the room is dimly lit by a single candle. You can see some markings have been left here. An anatomical drawing with six alchemical symbols placed in equidistant parts around the body itself. A scribble has been written below.

The Perfect Self

You also notice the bookshelf can be pushed to the left, against the wall.

Archmage1
2013-02-11, 07:12 PM
Tarith tries to remember the six signs, thinking that they might be important later. He also, experimentally, tries pushing the bookshelf over, curious as to what was behind it.

AlanBruce
2013-02-11, 07:18 PM
@Tarith: You shake your hands and stand on one side of the shelf, looking at the wall. You put your back into it, since doing heavy work like pushing large pieces of furniture is something Dantie or Bishop would've been better suited for doing.

The shelf scratches the ground as you push it towards the wall. A heavy piece of furniture, but maybe there's bound to be something behind it. Something amazing.

Then, the amazing strikes.

Readied Action: Claw [roll0] damage [roll1] if hit, imp. grab [roll2] if grabbed, bite [roll3]

A damn Crimson Head had apparently been locked in a small room behind the bookshelf, awaiting someone foolish enough to release it.

Archmage1
2013-02-11, 07:21 PM
I suppose we are going to find out if Tarith can beat up one of the zombies, as you think he should be able to.

Tarith, surprised by the sudden appearance of the zombie, stands helplessly as it claws at him. Luckily for him, however, it appears to have been thinking he was taller, and it missed completely.

Tarith flips the swords into his hands, and plans his next few moves...
[roll0] init

AlanBruce
2013-02-11, 07:24 PM
@Tarith: You dodge the claw as the glazed eyes of the Crimson head peer through the dark pocket of a room behind him. Big enough for one person. The creature growls. And readies his claws.

Initiative: [roll0] if it wins, claw [roll1] damage [roll2] plus imp. grab [roll3] if grabbed, bite [roll4]

Archmage1
2013-02-11, 07:36 PM
I am going to make the assumption that its turn will be that, so 2 rounds of actions for Tarith. Sadly, no SA...

Tarith hews at the creatures head, hoping to kill it quickly, his blades a blizzard of cuts.

[roll0] [roll1]
[roll2] [roll3]
[roll4] [roll5]
[roll6] [roll7]

[roll8] [roll9]
[roll10] [roll11]
[roll12] [roll13]
[roll14] [roll15]

crit confirmations, if needed
[roll16] [roll17]
[roll18] [roll19]
[roll20] [roll21]
[roll22] [roll23]

min damage is a 1

AlanBruce
2013-02-11, 07:48 PM
@Tarith: It is an undead, so no crits, unless the gravestrike wand allows for it if it isn't flatfooted.

You barrage the fevered undead with a sparkle of steel. Blood gushes out in small spurts as tiny gashes now mark its body. The Crimson head looks at them, roars at you and lunges back.

Claw: [roll0] damage [roll1] plus grab [roll2] bite [roll3]

Archmage1
2013-02-11, 07:51 PM
As Tarith's shiney new armor begins to acquire the grime of battle, left behind by the zombie, He continues slicing away at it, relying more on sheer speed than strength

[roll0] [roll1]
[roll2] [roll3]
[roll4] [roll5]
[roll6] [roll7]

AlanBruce
2013-02-11, 08:29 PM
@Tarith: You duck and weave around the Crimson heads.

They aren't so difficult after all, it would seem.

Your blades once more dance around the red humanoid. Shiny slashes against fevered flesh. sadly only two hit, making the creature growl in frustration.

Claw: [roll0] damage [roll1] plus imp. grab [roll2] plus bite [roll3]

Archmage1
2013-02-11, 08:46 PM
Tarith continues slicing away, knowing that one or two hits is all the zombie needs to finish him off.

[roll0] [roll1]
[roll2] [roll3]
[roll4] [roll5]
[roll6] [roll7]

This... is going to take a while. Tarith does less damage than a decent level 1 fighter...

AlanBruce
2013-02-11, 08:50 PM
@Taroth: In the darkest corner of the Cutter Household, away from any help, you stab the hideous undead again and again and again. Hoping to bring the walking nightmare down. This one roars in frustration and retaliates.

Claw: [roll0] damage [roll1] imp. grab [roll2] bite [roll3]

Archmage1
2013-02-11, 08:51 PM
Tarith continues his weaving dance of death.

[roll0] [roll1]
[roll2] [roll3]
[roll4] [roll5]
[roll6] [roll7]

AlanBruce
2013-02-11, 08:55 PM
@Tarith: This creature has provided good sport and training. perhaps running around isn't that necessary in the house. The Crimson head goes in for another lunge.

Archmage1
2013-02-11, 08:56 PM
Tarith, knowing that the zombie has a 1/5 chance of hitting him, continues to try and kill it first.

[roll0] [roll1]
[roll2] [roll3]
[roll4] [roll5]
[roll6] [roll7]

AlanBruce
2013-02-11, 09:03 PM
@Tarith: You dance around like a dervish, relishing the fact that now the tables have turned. The Crimson Head roars and attempts to lunge again.

Archmage1
2013-02-11, 09:04 PM
Tarith, now realizing that his weapons are completely ineffective, chooses to withdraw, opening the door into the hallway, and stepping through, hoping the zombie would follow him...

NathanB1486
2013-02-11, 09:19 PM
Xander ignores Klaus' taunts as he flies to the roof. After safely making it to the roof of the orphanage, Xander approaches the edge just enough to see the battlefield, while still maintaining cover hopefully protecting himself from any darts from Klaus, while readying the action of casting Glitterdust on Klaus if he makes his presence known.(breaks stealth)

Mentally to Dantie.
Attempt to lure him out of hiding if you can, the moment I see him I will cast Glitterdust, witch should make it much harder for him to continue hiding from you, I will contact Myriam to see how close she is.

Mentally to Myriam
Klaus has hit Clover with one of his darts, she seems unconscious but I can not check on her at the moment. Dantie and I are attempting to keep him busy, how far out are you? You aid would be greatly appreciated.

Saving swift/immediate for wings of cover, so trying to avoid telekinesis this fight.

Cover gives Xander +4 AC, figured Xander being on the roof at an angle, would make it more difficult to hit, especially if Xander isn't at the edge, or if there is any rubble or anything on the roof. Is there anything special on the roof, like things to hide behind? Glitterdust has a range of 230 feet.

AlanBruce
2013-02-11, 09:21 PM
@Tarith: You start getting tired of this spar partner and, realizing that your attacks aren't as effective, retreat to the corridor, in hopes the creature would follow.

Sadly, the creature does not follow.

You find yourself in the corridor and start thinking.

Where to next?

Archmage1
2013-02-11, 09:25 PM
Shrugging at the creatures decision to not follow, Tarith loads his crossbow, sheaths his swords and draws his dagger.

He then steps back into the room, rapidly localizing and shooting the zombie before it gets a chance to react.

[roll0] hide
[roll1] move silently

It ended combat, consequently, Tarith can sneak in, and get a surprise round. Start at 30 feet.
Gravestriking
[roll2] [roll3] [roll4]
dagger
[roll5] [roll6] [roll7]

[roll8] init

AlanBruce
2013-02-11, 09:27 PM
@Xander: Klaus steps out of cover and smiles as he looks at the burned down orphanage. At that moment, your spell goes off.

Will [roll0]

Immediately Klaus is covered in puff like spheres that surround his dark persona. The assassin smiles.

"So he likes hiding around buildings, eh? Heheheh... there is one sure way to smoke out a rat."

Klaus runs towards one of the pillars at the base of the orphanage and strikes it with his full strength.

The Orphanage begins to rumble.

I'm on my way, Xander. Is Clover safe?

AlanBruce
2013-02-11, 09:31 PM
@Tarith: With a deafening roar, the daggers strike the creature's chest and the Crimson Head falls on his face. Moving no more.

You walk past it and check the room behind the shelf.

A bunch of useless clutter: Broken china, silverware...but there is something else here.

The second half of the piano roll.

Now, where to go....

Archmage1
2013-02-11, 09:37 PM
Tarith, after carefully searching the room for anything else(41 search), sneaks back out to the main corridor, intending to go back out into the main corridor, run across to the other helmet key locked door, have a look around, and then kill the zombies in the corridor, who are possibly unwilling to follow him...

32 stealth
25 perception

NathanB1486
2013-02-11, 09:37 PM
Mentally to Myriam.
I am unsure, of the poison he is using, I have managed to avoid them so far, he only hit with one dart, and she fell almost immediately, what ever it is, must be powerful.

Xander is still under the effects of the fly spell, so the building falling wouldn't effect him much, but there are the random NPCs in the building Xander will have to worry about...oh well Dantie still has a turn before I can go again.
Also Xander is at 6 images (spell lasts 13 min, or if all his images leave at once, witch doesn't seem likely.)

AlanBruce
2013-02-11, 09:48 PM
@Tarith: You pocket the second piece of the piano roll and leave the room and down the corridor, passing the cobweb filled door to your left, leading into the attic, which, sadly requires a Shield Key.

You open the door to the small square room which would lead you to the zombie filled corridor.

Suddenly...

readied from above to whoever opens door

Tentacle: [roll0] damage [roll1] plus SA [roll2] plus imp. grab [roll3] if successful, constrict [roll4]

AlanBruce
2013-02-11, 09:50 PM
@Xander: The building is suffering heavy structural damage as you watch Klaus punch the weak support beam. Then, a flash next to you appears and Myriam shows up on the roof, barely maintaining her balance.

"That idiot! What is he doing?"

NathanB1486
2013-02-11, 10:35 PM
Xander continues watching Klaus assault the building.
I am uncertain, but I believe he was effected my my spell and may be blind at the moment, he seems rather angry at me and I believe is trying to bring down the orphanage in an attempt to get me.
Xander looks to Myriam.
Myriam, there are people inside, we have to stop him from bringing the building down.

AlanBruce
2013-02-11, 11:02 PM
@Xander: Myriam turns to look at you as the building takes a serious shock.

Klaus is really committed to bring the structure down...and all in it.

"He was granted great strength and could bring this building down if unchecked. Handle those inside, Xander. I'll go deal with Klaus..."

Myriam stands on the edge of the shaking building and turns to look at you.

"No sign of Jharlandar?"

dantiesilva
2013-02-12, 12:41 AM
As Dantie sees the building shaking infront of him he looks for an open window and jumps in. Has the child chosen to throw a temper tantrum because he is so slow. Fine if you want me here I am come and get me. Dantie says trying to make the creature come to the other side of the building where he is.

Ready action to smite him once he gets in range If he does not get in range I will go deeper in. [roll0] Thank you Xander for that extra boost to attacks. That +5 comes in handy. Damage roll [roll1] + [roll2] And sadly that will be the most damage I can do as no more smite after this one.

AlanBruce
2013-02-12, 01:22 AM
@Dantie: You call out to Klaus and this one grunts as he punches the main pillar.

You notice from far away that his eyes are closed.

"Dantie! You scared little boy! Hiding behind in your mage's robes to hinder me? Heheheh... I need not my vision! Ahhh... yes. The lizard man. I wonder how much I could get for that pelt, Dantie?"

Klaus punches the main pillar and this one cracks as the assassin heads towards Clover's direction.

At that moment, you watch Myriam descend from the top of the building.

"Klaus! You know you are under my command. Why are you here?"

Klaus turns his broad frame towards the voice.

"Myriam? How did you...never mind. Help me get this off me, dryad! That I may slice down that insolent mage and then get my quarry."

Myriam looks at you from far away and takes out a scroll.

"You won't have to worry about Dantie and the mage, Klaus. Rest assured. However, a question before I aid you...where's Jharlandar?"

Klaus snarls as he claws the ground, leaving deep trenches.

"How would I know, fey witch! You know him! He could be anywhere! Now release me from this stupid spell!"

Myriam speaks to you mentally.

Dantie, we cannot kill Klaus. If he dies, someone else will replace him. And I fear it could be someone much worse... However, I need you to weaken him before I send him off. Keep swinging at him and play along whatever I say. Care to give me a hand?

dantiesilva
2013-02-12, 01:36 AM
Do you mean Conner or spellbane? That thing in his head...What needs to be done. Dantie says to her as he heads towards the creature that is just as tall as he is.

AlanBruce
2013-02-12, 01:41 AM
@Dantie: You run towards Klaus, who tries to open his eyes, but Xander's spell glitters thickly around them, making his eyes water.

"Myriam! Use your scroll. Now!"

Myriam takes a few steps back and drop to the ground, making a large thud sound in the process.

"Urghhh... that mage has me too! I cannot move, Klaus!"

Myriam looks at you.

Ok, Dantie. Klaus may be blinded, but he is far from defenseless. He can smell you, as well as his training. Swing at him as best you can. Do it now!

@Xander: If you have anything you can use to hamper him further, do so now, Xander. If Klaus catches a scent of Dantie, he will rip him apart!

AlanBruce
2013-02-12, 04:07 AM

Meanwhile, back in Justcrown...

Basil the Raven walks down the street. A smug smile on his face. The loot today has not been amazing, but it's not short of remarkable. The street lamps are being lit as Bill, the hardiest Raven under Tarith's former care makes his way back to the Foaming Wench.

That's when a shadow darts past him and Basil feels his pouch being snatched from his belt.

Oh no he didn't!

Basil silently takes off after the shadow who seems to weave around the street corners, expertly evading the few patrons who head for home after a hard honest day's work. the shadow pushes some people aside, as Basil tumbles over a few and stumbles over another.

Who is this guy?

The shadow turns a corner and Basil smiles. he knows this town like the back of his hand.

That's a dead end.

The shadow stops and Basil takes out his rapier as he walks at him.

"Alright, buddy. It was a good run, but I think you got it wrong- Justcrown is Raven territory. Unless you want to be gutted, turn in my stash- and yours."

The shadow raises his hands and turns around. It's a middle aged man wearing a trench coat and a hat. The man smiles at Basil.

"And so it is. What your leader said is true." The man tosses the bag at Basil's feet.

"Oliver? What did he say?"

The man in the hat shows himself irritable.

"NO, you idiot..errr no. Not Oliver. Your leader founder, Tarith Spellbane."

Basil takes out a dagger as he carefully walks towards his pouch and stabs it with the tip of the blade, bringing it close to him, never taking his eyes off the man.

"How do you know him?"

The man smiles.

"How could I not? Tarith Spellbane has made himself a legend. I must say, he has paved quite a reputation in far off lands. A pity what happened to him here. What with the last unfinished heist. I dare say, whoever took on Tarith's steps, would be a legend. A living legend. Here in Justcrown and all the way to the Free City."

Basil relaxes his guard.

"You mentioned a heist...he never said anything."

The man keep his hands up, showing no resistance.

"Well, it would seem Tarith didn't want to put you in danger. Or any of the Ravens for that matter. That or he wanted the prize for himself..."

Basil smiles, clearly having found a gap in the man's words.

"I know T, old man. He isn't that way."

"He is not? Then why did he leave so abruptly? Yes, I know of his departure, being a man myself of a few skills. I also know of the Vault. The prized treasure Tarith never could get his hands on. Treasure of such vastness and wealth, it would have that pig Pottsdorff groveling at your feet. The Ravens would truly be names spoken in fear and respect all along the Oerdian Coast!"

the man pauses.

"Of course, this is not a task for the faint of heart it takes skill.."

Basil tosses the bag in the air and sheathes his dagger as he catches the pouch in his empty hand.

"Skills I got."

"It takes courage..."

Basil adjusts his pouch.

"Ever been in the Fey Woods with a lich? Didn't think so."

"It takes secrecy. Tarith attempted to solo this heist. Whoever were interested in this prize to shame all kingdoms in splendor and grandeur, would have to go alone. For the bragging right. What else would the bards sing- Four came in for a treasure..ho hum. It's a repeat story, kid. But Basil of the Ravens, who traveled the Fey Woods and faced a lich..."

"Well, I didn't face him exactly. I..."

"That's the past, Basil! Focus on the now! You can be the one to place Tarith's name as legend by you becoming one. All I require is a small finder's fee..after you collect the loot. I can trust you, can I Basil?"

Basil smiles. This guy is the biggest fool in the block.

"Yeah. You can trust me. But I need details."

The man tosses Basil a few scrolls and a pouch. Basil picks up one of the scrolls.

"This is the Cuthbertine Temple. Is that where the vault lies? You're mad, old man. There is no way I'm going in there. Not with that purple priestess."

The man smiles.

"The other scrolls will allow you to bypass all the guards, even her. One of them will allow you entry into the vault itself. Use with caution. Another will protect you from the Vault's effects. You're going for a small box. Do not be fooled. The box has untold riches inside. A genie Realm which the Cuthbertines guard jealously. Open it once outside the vault. And then, you Basil of the Ravens, will be Tarith's favorite. His worthy successor."

The man looks at Basil square in the eye.

"Don't forget to give me my finder's fee...thirty percent."

"Fifteen. I'm taking all the risks here."

"Twenty five. The risks are nothing compared to what you'll get in return."

"Twenty percent, old man. I have the map and the items."

The man laughs.

"You are one shrewd negotiator, Basil. You really are. Now I know why Tarith spoke so highly of you. Remember, this is a secret between you and I. Remember the bard ballads. The reputation."

The man walks past him. Basil turns to look at him as he reviews the information and scrolls.

"You never said your name, old man."

The man in the trench coat and hat turns to him and smiles.

"Call me H."

dantiesilva
2013-02-12, 07:20 AM
So Hathaway not only has his hands where we are now but also in Justcrown. And he knows about the demon....Not good, starting to think he is one of them, and by them I mean the whole lets destroy the world group.

Getting the information from Myriam of what to do Dantie goes in for the attack planning he hopes not to kill the man but bring him to deaths door.

Am not sure if you would allow my other readied smite attack count so rolling here just in case you don't.

Smite evil [roll0] Damage [roll1] + [roll2] come on big money

Archmage1
2013-02-12, 07:57 AM
This post is made assuming Alan allows the attack, even though Tarith is better at hiding than an invisibility spell...

Getting hit by the tentacle, Tarith is able to smootly evade the attempt to grab him, making it into the corridor, where he heads for the other helmet locked door.

[roll0] hide
[roll1] move silently

[roll2] spot
[roll3] listen

AlanBruce
2013-02-12, 01:49 PM
@Dantie: Going with your first roll, which actually hits.

You waste no time and strike Klaus. The assassin feels the divine power surging through his body.

"There you are!"

Klaus, still blinded, tries to attack you by quickly swiping his claws at you, in very fast succession. The flurry of swipes is tremendous. Glad you have your armor on and he cannot see you.

Claw1: [roll0] damage [roll1] miss chance [roll2] if missed, roll again [roll3]

[roll4] damage [roll5] miss chance [roll6] if missed, roll again [roll7]

[roll8] damage [roll9] miss chance [roll10] if missed, roll again [roll11]

[roll12] damage [roll13] miss chance [roll14] if missed, roll again [roll15]

Claw2: [roll16] damage [roll17] miss chance [roll18] if missed, roll again [roll19]

[roll20] damage [roll21] miss chance [roll22] if missed, roll again [roll23]

[roll24] damage [roll25] miss chance [roll26] if missed, roll again [roll27]

[roll28] damage [roll29] miss chance [roll30] if missed, roll again [roll31]

@Tarith: You get hit by the tentacle, but evade its grasp as you hide and move away from the creature darting for the door that will lead you to the corridor.

Spot: [roll32]

Listen: [roll33]

AlanBruce
2013-02-12, 01:54 PM
@Tarith: You reach the Corridor and, sure enough, one of those Crimson Heads is ten feet away from you. The creature growls as it prepares to jump at you.

if it wins, Charge [roll1] claw [roll2] imp. grab [roll3] plus bite [roll4]

Archmage1
2013-02-12, 05:50 PM
Tarith makes a sudden run for the next room, surprising the zombie.

AlanBruce
2013-02-12, 09:50 PM
@Tarith: Having eluded being constricted by a shadowy tentacle from the ceiling and eluded a zombie in the hallway, you quickly dig through your bag and use the helmet key on the Knight engraved metal door.

This room looks fit for a king's court. It is a thirty foot square of a room. Long, solemn crimson draperies fall on the far end wall. You can see the wall has four portraits, arranged in a semi circle above a barred compartment built on the wall which has a a black box inside.

The portraits from left to right are that of a man, identical in all four. It shows a man from head to shoulders in noble attire and long black hair. The man is looking calmly at the viewer, with a hint of a smile. Something is horribly wrong with all four paintings, however,

One has the man with its upper left side of the head caved in, exposing bone and cerebral tissue.

Another has the his eyes missing, with blood spilling from its sockets down its face.

The other has his scalp separated from his head, floating midair with sprinkles of blood marking the canvas.

The last one shows the man with the upper left portion of the head missing. Blood spills down towards his nose, which has been removed as well, exposing bone and hanging cartilage. His right jaw is missing as well, while blood finishes dripping down.

You turn to see the rest of the room. Eight statues of knights are in this room. Four on each side of the room standing on small pedestals. These pedestals have handles on them and you see the railing on the floor that extend ten feet outward.

One of the knights holds a crossbow.

Another holds a dagger

Another wields a war hammer

Another has a morning star

One of the knights holds a trident

Another wields a great axe

Another holds a spear

Another has a trident

The last knight has a longsword

An inscription reads beneath the barred compartment.

Expose My Executioners and My Legacy Shall be Offered to You

Archmage1
2013-02-12, 10:07 PM
A riddle, but with limited information. With luck, if I solve it, I show superiority of mind, or whatever, which is what Cutter is looking for. That means that there is probably a reward of some sort for completing this successfully.

Tarith thinks on the solution
The first one seems to have been hit with a crushing weapon, so either morning star or war hammer. However, I see no sign of the spikes so I should take a closer look, just to be sure.

The second, seems to have been hit with a piercing weapon, one that put out his eye. That means either the crossbow, or the dagger. Either one could have done it, but the dagger seems more likely, as a close range hit with a crossbow would have taken his head. However, checking the width of the wound should tell me if a crossbow did it

The Third, seems to have been hit with a slashing weapon, which is probably the long sword, as the axe would have done more damage.

The other reason for the third to have been the sword is the fourth, which was probably done with an axe.

Tarith investigates the paintings, seeking to confirm his suspicions [roll0] spot. Assuming they are confirmed, he tries moving the appropriate statues.
(for the second one, compare a bolt and Tarith's dagger to the damage done, and pick the one that is a closer match.)
(Also, is which side which is on relevant?)

AlanBruce
2013-02-12, 10:24 PM
@Tarith: You inspect the portraits and asses the following.

The first man was indeed killed by a blunt weapon. No uneven wounds can be observed, such as spikes.

You pull the hammer wielding statue outward and hear a click.

You look at the portrait lacking eyes. Indeed, the wounds are small enough and precise enough to have been made at short range. Melee, most likely.

You pull the dagger wielding statue and hear a second click.

The man with his scalp separated was done with a clean precise swipe. Axes are usually messier.

You pull the longsword statue and hear a click.

The fourth portrait, however. The wounds don't go down the entirety of the face. Closer inspection reveals they are three separate holes, at an angle. Either shot separately from the cross bow or launched from daggers. Or something else.

Archmage1
2013-02-12, 10:30 PM
Well then, good think I took a better look at the painting. With three holes, it is clear that it is the trident, not the axe.

Tarith pulls the trident wielding statue.

AlanBruce
2013-02-12, 10:41 PM
@Tarith: You pull the trident statue and hear a fourth click.

A low rumble is heard behind the wall as you watch the bars descend, leaving a cloud of dust.

You pick up the box and it is covered in a black cloth. Removing it reveals an ornate box made of metal and wood, with pearls around it. A painted symbol of the sun is on the lid, with an indentation in the middle. A message around the sun symbol reads.

Complete My Brilliance and My Rays Shall Shed Light to the Darkness

dantiesilva
2013-02-13, 12:24 AM
As I strike at the creature I almost feel pity for it as it tries to return the attack with little success. Tell me who your employer is or where you dropped of Tarith and I will let you and your friend go free. If not she dies first. Then you. Dantie says making a nod action at myriam so that she knows to act like a weapon is held to her throat and it is her turn. If the worst case scenario happens he will kill him, only to bring him back. After all keeping him dead would solve nothing. But bringing him back would do a lot.

Readying an action to full attack if he refuse to submit and tell me what I want to know unless myriam takes him away.

Attack 1 [roll0] Damage roll [roll1] + [roll2]

Attack 2 [roll3] Damage roll [roll4] + [roll5]

Attack 3 [roll6] Damage roll [roll7] + [roll8]

AlanBruce
2013-02-13, 01:59 AM
@Dantie: Klaus is clearly very frustrated. If only he had resisted Xander's spell. A shame for someone as skilled as him. He bares his claws in the direction of your voice.

"Pelorite! You will get nothing from me. I am the Great Klaus! Beings all over the multiverse fear at the mention of my name!"

Myriam watches you and coughs beneath her wooden mask.

"K...Klaus...help! He's going to cut me down! I can't move..."

Klaus smiles at Myriam's pleas.

"Cursed One! You knew what you were getting into when you accepted his offer. Live for the Hunt. Die with honor! As for you, Dantie..."

Klaus retaliates and grits his teeth as one of your sword slashes leaves a gash on his chest. This does not stop him, however.

Claw1: [roll0] damage [roll1] miss chance [roll2] if miss roll again [roll3]

[roll4] damage [roll5] miss chance [roll6] if miss roll again [roll7]

[roll8] damage [roll9] miss chance [roll10] if miss roll again [roll11]

[roll12] damage [roll13] miss chance [roll14] if miss roll again [roll15]

Claw2: [roll16] damage [roll17] miss chance [roll18] if miss roll again [roll19]

[roll20] damage [roll21] miss chance [roll22] if miss roll again [roll23]

[roll24] damage [roll25] miss chance [roll26] if miss roll again [roll27]

[roll28] damage [roll29] miss chance [roll30] if miss roll again [roll31]

Archmage1
2013-02-13, 07:45 AM
A riddle guarding a riddle... lovely. Because one layer of such is just not enough...

Tarith checks to see if the box is sealed, and if the yellow gem he has fits into the socket.

If the box is not sealed, he opens it, and if it is, and the gem fits, he places it into the indentation. He then takes the box with him as well as whatever it contains, and heads out, intending to head to the next helmet door.

32 stealth
25 perception
[roll0] init

If he wins init, run past the zombies in the hallway. If not, don't get grappled, and withdraw past them.

dantiesilva
2013-02-13, 08:24 AM
Ever think it might be because you need to take a bath once a century or so. That and maybe people a lot weaker then you may be afraid of you. And with that Dantie easily dodges out of the reach of his claws. All the creatures attacks missing. You do realize that the hunt shall end for you here and now. If only you followed the law like most of your race does. And with that Dantie waits to see what Myriam and Xander do. If he gets word from either one to kill the man he will deliver the last blow.

Myriam if you are going to do something do it now or he is dead. I will not stand near this creature. It knows where Tarith is and if it will not tell me it will face Justice. Dantie sends mentally to her, hoping its a two way connection.

AlanBruce
2013-02-13, 10:51 AM
@Tarith: You place the yellow gem on the lid and hear a click. as the top springs up, revealings its contents.

The interior of the box is covered in dark purple silk, so as to neatly cushion whatever lays inside.

It's a mask. Identical to the one you have, but this one lacks a mouth. There is also something else here.

A small key. This one has the eagle and ivy emblem on it, signifying the Cutter Family emblem.

NathanB1486
2013-02-13, 11:25 AM
To Myriam.
I have no magic that can effect his sense of smell, however I can attempt to confuse it some using the filth from this district.

Xander locates the nearest container that seems to be filled with garbage or any other unpleasant smelling substance, and casts Telekinesis on it, slowing moving it toward Klaus in order to deposit its contents on the nightstalker, he also begins flying toward the container intent on taking advantage of its weightless state while under the control of his spell to pull it through the air in order to get it to its location sooner.

Spot [roll0] (to locate the nearest garbage can, in relation to the battle.)
Telekinesis can move it 20 ft a round, Xander flies at 30 ft a round, plan on flying to the can and push/pulling it to help it move faster, also will cast haste next turn to accomplish the task sooner.

Saving swift/immediate actions for wings of cover still, in case Jharlandar attacks or something.

Also assuming we are using the same save you rolled against about a 18 dc(what scentbreaker used), once the garbage gets there so he will be fine from any initial effects, ill let you decide if he has to make more saves on later turns, or if a single save is enough to him to adapt to being surround by garbage. Also, if Xander keeps droping garbage on him, will he need saves for each one, or will adding more garbage not effect the saves?

AlanBruce
2013-02-13, 04:45 PM
@Xander: Multiple trash throws would require a save each time.

As you watch Klaus battling Dantie, you realize Dantie has the upper hand, but the creature is striking very close to hit the mark. Watching your surroundings, you spot a bunch of trash and refuse piled on the building's roof in bags. Wishing for the garbage to move, you focus your attention on it and a large pile of rotten fruit, excrement, and discarded clothes float above the Astral stalker and you release the cargo on the assassin's head.

With a revolting splash and the welcome addition t the scent of rotten eggs, Klaus is doused in Mercy's Abandon's finest aromas.

Klaus recoils in disgust.

"What is this...trash? Who did this!!!!"

@Dantie: Klaus, covered in grime, roars.

"You think this will stop me? You're a dead man, Dantie!"

Myriam looks at his subordinate.

"Klaus, this isn't your quarry. You have been bested. Now, tell me, your commanding officer...there is a human. A kid by the name of Tarith...where is he? That your life may be spared."

Klaus smells the air around him.

"Tarith? You know him? Or knew him, for that matter. The boy lies now in parts by the madman. If you came all the way here for him, Dantie...then your trip has been for naught."

Myriam speaks to you mentally.

He lies. I can tell. Let's make this more realistic and then I'll send him off.

Archmage1
2013-02-13, 05:36 PM
The key to that door, with the seal. Could be useful, as well as another mask for that room with the faces.

Tarith takes the nice box, as well as the mask and key, and continues heading towards the siren room.

32 stealth
25 perception
31 search
[roll0] init for the zombies.

AlanBruce
2013-02-13, 05:44 PM
@Tarith: You dodge the zombies in the corridor and reach the door that will take you to corridor with the stairs leading down to the first floor, past the door with the wobbly doorknob and the door to the Sirens.

A bad start. One of the Crimson Heads turns his feral attention twenty feet away from you while the other is down by the door you need to go, fifty feet below.

[roll1]

AlanBruce
2013-02-13, 05:45 PM
@Tarith: The zombie closest to you roars and lunges at you.

Charge [roll0] damage [roll1] imp. grab [roll2] bite [roll3]

Archmage1
2013-02-13, 06:14 PM
[roll0] resist the grapple

Tarith tries to beeak free of the Zombie's grab, and make a run for the stairs.

If the first roll exceeds 26
make a withdraw, down the stairs.(not all the way, deny the zombie the chance to charge)
If the first roll does not exceed the 26
[roll1]
[roll2]

if either of the above 2 make it, make a move(eating the aoo)
[roll3]
[roll4]

Tarith withdraws, making for the stairs.

AlanBruce
2013-02-13, 06:19 PM
@Tarith: The Crimson head claws at your chest and draws you in, jaws dripping cancerous bile. You elbow the failed experiment in the stomach and rush past him.

The door is clear within sight. As is the second Crimson Head. You push on, hoping to avoid his fevered reach.

AoO: Claw [roll0] damage [roll1] imp. grab [roll2] bite [roll3]

Archmage1
2013-02-13, 06:27 PM
Tarith, deftly evading the Crimson head, leaving it striking at the air alone, makes it through the door, closing it behind him.

AlanBruce
2013-02-13, 06:29 PM
@Tarith: You duck the incoming swipe from the creature and head for the door.

This doorknob is about to fall any minute now, but it works.

You shut the door behind you, leaving the roaring noises in the corridor to be replaced by the million sucking sounds of a familiar face.

The Progenitor Spawn twitches in hunger 10 feet away from you, en route to the coveted Siren Door. The Cutter Family door is a few feet away on the same wall.

Archmage1
2013-02-13, 06:31 PM
And here I was hoping that thing was gone...

[roll0] init

AlanBruce
2013-02-13, 06:36 PM
@Tarith: The leech walker makes a dash for it. Moving in bizarre motions as his body reforms at every step, tentacles emerging form his sides as he decides with what appendage to grab a hold of you.

Charge: [roll0] damage tentacle rake [roll1] plus wounding, losing 3 HP every round thereafter plus imp. grab [roll2] if held, drain [roll3] Constitution

Archmage1
2013-02-13, 06:38 PM
As the leechwalker charges him, Tarith steps adroitly to the side, before heading towards the siren door, intending to open it, and head inside

Withdraw action once more.

AlanBruce
2013-02-13, 06:50 PM
@Tarith: The slurping sounds from the creature are but a distant memory as you dance around the creature deftly and use the slimy floor to skid quickly towards the Siren Door.

Unlocked now.

This is a tall room. About fifty feet tall with a ten foot wide space. Immediately in front of you, you see a wall which extends left to right for sixty feet, before leaving a space to walk around it. The wall has three panels: One depicts a knight kneeling with a sword. Another shows what looks like a wizened old sage reading a book. The third panel shows a a lithe man with a bow. You walk around the wall and see that it creates a U turn, with identical panels on that side.

At the end of the wall you see an enormous portrait of a beautiful woman with raven hair in curls. She wears a white gown with an amethyst tiara, an emerald necklace, and bright ochre ring. The woman looks lively as she smiles at you. A message below reads.

Lisa Godefroy, Protected by Her Three Spirits Shall Never Come to Harm

Then, you hear them above you, roosting on metal bars. Six hideous women with feathery wings and each holding a bow. Their skin looks old and saggy. Their faces a mass of tentacles from a deep wound on their faces. The creatures ruffle their feathers and make low screeching sounds as you see white drops of feces litter the area beneath them. You also spot some humanoid bones on the ground.

The creatures, however, do not move from their perch.

Archmage1
2013-02-13, 06:55 PM
Tarith drinks one of his potions, and compares the paintings on each side to its opposite. He also slowly approaches the portrait of Lisa, seeing the creatures reactions. Finally, he checks for any hidden areas as he completes another loop of the area.

31 search
32 stealth
25 perception
[roll0] healing

AlanBruce
2013-02-13, 07:12 PM
@Tarith: You approach the main portrait and one of the creatures above ruffles its feathers and screeches at her sister beside her, but nothing else.

There is a button below her portrait.

You then check the panels. Each one has a button beneath it. You also notice something.

The kneeling knight has an amulet hanging around his neck.

The wizened elder is leaning his head against his hand and you can spot a circlet around it.

The lithe archer has a bracer on his arm.

Buttons are present at the base of all six panels as well.

Archmage1
2013-02-13, 07:18 PM
Tarith looks up at the harpies, trying to determine if they are involved with the puzzle in any way, before doing another loop, trying to determine if the images are identical on each side.
Assuming they are identical, Tarith will try taking the bracer from the lithe archer, thinking that the painting might be magical.

AlanBruce
2013-02-13, 07:28 PM
@Tarith: You look up at the harpies, horrid in their design.

One of them shrieks at you as her tentacled mouth transforms the shriek into a gurgling sound.

You take a look at the panels.

These are glass, very opaque. The knight has the wizened elder in its reverse. The lithe archer has the knight. The wizened elder has the archer. You notice that there are black orbs on the ceiling, six in total. Three on one side, and three on the other, looking down at the panels, built apparently to shine upon them, but how....

Archmage1
2013-02-13, 07:30 PM
Tarith pulls out the box from earlier, thinking it might shed some light on the situation.
If it does not, he tries pressing one of the archer buttons.

AlanBruce
2013-02-13, 07:55 PM
@Tarith: You push the archer button from the side you came in the room.

An orb on the ceiling, aimed at the archer panel sheds light on the image, lighting it in orange.

Archmage1
2013-02-13, 08:04 PM
Tarith, predictably enough, having never met a button he did not like, goes around, pushing each button, but the one under Lisa, once, seeing what happens to the orbs each time.

AlanBruce
2013-02-13, 08:14 PM
@Tarith: You push the remaining buttons on the side you were in first.

The archer remains orange.

The sage goes deep red.

The knight lights up in green.

You jog around, towards the other side, where the Lisa Portrait is and push the buttons, all of them.

All the portraits get hit by a light and go white.

Archmage1
2013-02-13, 08:26 PM
Wondering what the effect will be, Tarith hits the Archer button on the far side from where he entered, and the knight button on that same side, and the sage button on the other side.

AlanBruce
2013-02-13, 08:33 PM
@Tarith: With all white panels glowing, you decide to push the selected images, hopefully turning the colors.

One panel shows the knight in a green glow.

The sage sports a deep purple brilliance.

The archer has a golden illumination.

You walk up to the Lisa Portrait and see that the colors match. You press the button and a low rumble is heard beyond the walls as the Sirens shrill and shriek. The wall lifts up, opening a passage that turns right and then left.

Two pedestals on the side of the passage hold something of interest.

One is a mask without a nose, similar to the other two.

The other is a blackened orb.

The passage opens up to a gate, which, after unlocked, gives you access to the graveyard. A small jog towards the catacombs.

Archmage1
2013-02-13, 08:35 PM
Tarith takes the mask, and the blackened orb, figuring that they would come in handy at some point. However, having only 3 of the masks, he heads back through the entrance to the room, intending to investigate the room with the seal on it.

[roll0] init vs the leechwalker

AlanBruce
2013-02-13, 09:11 PM
@Tarith: With three of the masks and a mysterious orb, you head back into the hallways and use the slick floor to slide and wave at the vermin walker as you skid towards the Cutter Door and use the key.

Unlocked now.

A rather spacious study with a fireplace to the left. This one is out, with the logs neatly stacked. A painting of a nude woman hangs above the fireplace. She has a wreath of lowers and is leaning against a sun disk. Various animals flock around her. You notice that the painting may very well from the Royal park. It does look dated. An inscription reads below.

Give me Precious Candor and My Rose Shall be Yours

You check the desk. Large and untouched in what appears years, what with a fine coating of dust on it. You check the drawers and find the following.

A box with six small silver spheres. Identical to the ones used against the hound in the balcony.

A pouch with three hundred platinum pieces.

On the desk you find some documents. These look very old.

Pertaining Las Plagas

My very first interest in form manipulation came with an accidental discovery away from the city. A group of miners under Pottsdorff's hire stumbled upon a particularly rare quartz deposit in the Karyllyn Mines. Some of the miners notes a severe allergic reaction as their picks struck the stone. When I asked the Pelorite High Father what was wrong with them, he could find no answer. None that could be explained through magic. He did note that those exposed were manifesting acute dizziness and odd behavior aftre the first several weeks.

That is when my interest piqued.

I invited one of them to my lab for a chat. Under the promise of coin for a detailed study on his symptoms.

It is amazing. This parasite, which the King's family and the Potssdorff's dubbed Las Plagas- the plague, has an incredibly fast incubation period. Not only that, but it maintains the host's abilities and powers, while enhancing them and adopting new forms if needed, depending on the situation.

Sadly, my first experiment with Las Plagas was not as I expected. The subject evolved too fast. I had him chained in the catacombs until I can find a proper way to use him for advanced learning. Fortunately, I was able to extract the tiniest sliver of blood before he was chained and bound. I have used a few of the Royal Militia, which are considerably stronger than local guards. Needless to say, the effects have been most satisfactory.

Now, if only I could have the king and Pottsdorff reopen that area of the mines for further study...

Archmage1
2013-02-13, 09:17 PM
Tarith, as usual, searches the room more thoroughly, looking carefully in the desk for hidden drawers, the painting for a hidden chamber, and the fireplace/wood for anything of interest.(41 search)

Tarith, in an attempt to give the image precious candor, speaks to the painting, describing the woman pictured there in extreme detail.

AlanBruce
2013-02-13, 09:19 PM
@Tarith: You speak to the painting for a few minutes, but the canvas does not respond.

You do notice that the wood in the fireplace has a thin coating of oil.

Archmage1
2013-02-13, 09:21 PM
Tarith tries placing it into the fireplace, and lighting it on fire, after looking up the chimney, just to make sure nothing was there.

AlanBruce
2013-02-13, 09:23 PM
@Tarith: This painting seems affixed to the wall. No matter how hard you try, it won't budge.

Do you have something to make fire with?

Archmage1
2013-02-13, 09:25 PM
Tarith checks to see if there is anything to light the fire with in the area, and, assuming there is not, he tries to see if the gun can be used to ignite the oil soaked wood, and, if that fails, he attempts to bluff the wood into lighting on fire. When that fails, he uses alchemists fire.

[roll0] bluff

AlanBruce
2013-02-13, 09:34 PM
@You check around the room, looking for a piece of flint and steel. sadly you find nothing.

You point your gun at the fireplace, but decide that feels a little awkward.

You then grab a chair and spin a very controversial tale about how the log must sacrifice itself through self immolation, lest Oerth be damned.

The wood does not seem that much interested in the world's fate.

You shrug and toss a bottle of alchemist fire into the wood since no one ever resists your bluffs. The fire catches on quickly and grows in size inside the fireplace, its smoke and flames climbing up the chute.

You then notice the painting above the fireplace changes. the woman's features begin to wither away as the fire consumes the canvas. The solar disk begins burning away and you watch a single red gem drop onto the floor at your feet.

Archmage1
2013-02-13, 09:44 PM
Tarith collects the red gem, and departs, intending to head towards the next unlocked helmet door

init[roll0]

No, sadly, I have no idea what to do with the following things in his inventory: Head, blackened orb(probably one of three for the statue in the greenhouse). Very sad that.

And no, I don't remember what helm doors remain, sadly. I do know the piano room, but that is the only room that I can remember that has something to do in it at the moment

AlanBruce
2013-02-13, 09:46 PM
@Tarith: You pocket the red jewel and take a deep breath as you open the door.

There it is. A few feet away from you, by the door you want to use.

Archmage1
2013-02-13, 09:48 PM
Surprising the leechwalker, by leaving the nice, comfortable room, Tarith manages to reach the helmet key door before it reacts, heading inside and closing the door as it starts to move...

AlanBruce
2013-02-13, 09:56 PM
@Tarith: You slip by the leech walker and head into the other room.

You hear something being broken from the room you just came in.

The roars are a welcome sound as a Crimson Head roars at the top of his decayed lungs twenty feet away from you. Another starts roaring at the top of the stairs, fifty feet away.

[roll1]

Archmage1
2013-02-13, 09:58 PM
Tarith wonders what the breaking sound was, however, not having time to think about it, since he is about to become zombie food.

[roll0] init

AlanBruce
2013-02-13, 10:00 PM
@Tarith: The Crimson head roars and charges at you.

Charge [roll0] damage [roll1] imp. grab [roll2] bite [roll3]

Archmage1
2013-02-13, 10:04 PM
As the crimson head charges at him, once more, Tarith is able to sidestep, taking advantage of its confusion to make another move

Withdraw, going towards the next door...

AlanBruce
2013-02-13, 10:07 PM
@Tarith: You withdraw and head up the stairs, which will lead you to that one locked Helmet Door. However, the second Crimson Head waits at the top with arms wide open.

AoO [roll0] damage [roll1] imp. grab [roll2] bite [roll3]

Dodging the second creature, you head down the corridor and check the door.

Unlocked now.

The roars of the Crimson heads can still be heard, but hopefully, they won't come in.

This looks like a very small lobby area. A single deer head has been mounted on the wall and two doors. one left and one right, invite you in.

Archmage1
2013-02-13, 10:11 PM
It's arms might have been open, waiting to catch Tarith in a deadly hug, but Tarith, ever the agile thief, takes advantage of the slime on his bare feet to slide in between it's widespread legs, wincing at the smell as he does so. As he gets behind it, he delivers a swift kick, intending on kicking it down the stairs, before heading for his door.

[roll0] kick

move to move.

Archmage1
2013-02-13, 10:13 PM
Once in the room, Tarith takes a look at the deer head, hoping it might offer some guidance as to which door to take first. He also examines the room carefully, seeing if there is anything of interest there.

25 spot
31 search

AlanBruce
2013-02-13, 10:18 PM
@Tarith: You have had enough of these corpses. You slide between the creature's legs and get up instantly kicking it in its shins.

The Crimson head turns around in anger as it loses its balance and drops on his fellow zombie.

In this room, you find a covered plaque on the wall, beside the right door.

Specimen Data Collection

Archmage1
2013-02-13, 10:20 PM
Tarith opens the right door, taking a look inside, before repeating the procedure on the left door. He does not, at this time, enter either room.

dantiesilva
2013-02-13, 10:42 PM
Dantie sick of this game finishes saying the last rights of the astral stalker. Goodbye. I gave you a chance and you lied to me. I know the truth and I see it. And with that Dantie lauches into a flurry of blows at the creature.

Attack roll 1[roll0] Damage roll [roll1] + [roll2]

Attack 2 [roll3] Damage roll [roll4] + [roll5]

Attack 3 [roll6] Damage roll [roll7] + [roll8]

AlanBruce
2013-02-13, 10:45 PM
@Tarith: You take a peek at the right door and what lies beyond.

A lab of sorts. You glimpse quickly enough to see what appears as a fish tank on a table and a shelve with books. Two display shelves can be seen briefly.

You close the door and head to the peek at the other room.

What appears to be a bedroom with two beds, probably for the researchers. The flickering candle of an oil lamp stands by a small table next to one of the beds.

AlanBruce
2013-02-13, 10:50 PM
@Dantie: You swing Cornelius' Sword at Klaus and, once again, one of your attacks connect. The assassin looks in your direction. Despite the garbage dumped on him by Xander, he can still smell you.

"Stupid cleric on a stupid crusade! The boy is dead. DEAD! Face it and accept it!"

Klaus retaliates in kind.

Claw1 [roll0] damage [roll1] miss chance [roll2] if missed [roll3]

[roll4] damage [roll5] miss chance [roll6] if missed [roll7]

[roll8] damage [roll9] miss chance [roll10] if missed [roll11]

[roll12] damage [roll13] miss chance [roll14] if missed [roll15]

Claw2 [roll16] damage [roll17] miss chance [roll18] if missed [roll19]

[roll20] damage [roll21] miss chance [roll22] if missed [roll23]

[roll24] damage [roll25] miss chance [roll26] if missed [roll27]

[roll28] damage [roll29] miss chance [roll30] if missed [roll31]

Archmage1
2013-02-13, 10:57 PM
Tarith searches the left room carefully, collecting the lamp, as well as checking to see how recently the room was occupied. He then searches the right room, keeping clear of the fish tank.

41 search.
32 stealth
25 perception

dantiesilva
2013-02-13, 11:00 PM
And its DR 10 evil not 6. 4 attacks hit me that round so took only 17 damage total.

As the creature strikes back in kind Dantie feels its claws ripping into his flesh but knows that if not for his spells it would be far worse. Bitting back the pain inside he swings once more at the creature. Is that what you think this is? A crusade. No this is a message to your master. A statement, threaten my family again and next time he wont have anyone coming back. Now get out of here and go crawl to your master and give him my message both of you before I change my mind. And one more thing. Hope for your hide what you say proves to be false. Otherwise it will be that very hide that will not be eluding me next time. And with that Dantie gives the two the option to leave.

Keep in mind Dantie is saying that after he swings his sword and attacks them. Xander would have an action here mind you.

Attack 1 [roll0] Damage [roll1] + [roll2]

Attack 2 [roll3] Damage [roll4] + [roll5]

Attack 3 [roll6] Damage [roll7] + [roll8]

NathanB1486
2013-02-13, 11:03 PM
After seeing the garbage have little effect on Klaus, Xander decides to try suppressing the magic in his items, and hold him in place with his spell.

Dispel, and grapple check done in OOC, back to Dantie's turn.

I was attempting to dispel the enchantment on the claws, but unfortunately had very low dispel checks, also to bad on the grapple check, I don't think I will get lucky and you will roll that low again. Also, I wish I had a way to bring Clover back.

AlanBruce
2013-02-14, 03:10 AM
@Tarith: You check the dormitory with the lamp and pocket it. You find under one of the beds two potions similar to the ones you have been drinking.

You then head to the Data Collection Room.

A rectangular room with two display cases on each side. One has a display of fishing lures. The other, has a display of rare bee specimens. A book shelf stands in the middle wall, overseeing both. The fish stands on a table and looks empty. It is big enough to put a halfling inside. You find a ledger on the bookshelf with the following information.

The V-Acts: An Observation

Reading extensively on the treatises penned centuries ago by the wrongfully accused Grand Archmage of Runestone Academy, I have managed to develop some of his formulas on subject implementation with a near a hundred percent accuracy.

The V- Acts, named after their original creator. They are symbiotic parasites that can coexist invisibly with a host. The process of creating just one is arduous and expensive, requiring extensive care and research in order to follow the complicated algorithms involved in the weaving of such wondrous creature.

Once the V-Act is hatched, it must immediately be placed in a liquid environment. Failure to do so, risks months of crafting and weaving the being to existence. By borrowing the raw materials from the Far realms and incorporating various alchemical and transmutation properties, the V-Act becomes effectively the perfect spy. It is virtually immune to all detection spells. Of course, the original creations- if any exist, must be absolutely undetectable. The V-Act resembles a tentacled inhabitant from the Far Realms, but at a much smaller scale. It lays dormant in the host, attaching itself to either the central nervous system or the heart. Then, when the command word is activated, the V-Act responds to its programming, imposing its will on the host. I have yet to craft one, but if the treatises here are accurate, I should be able to create one, maybe two specimens. Of course, such work must not be wasted idly on anyone. V-Acts are to be used only with key subjects.

By the bookshelf you find a crumpled note. This one seems very old and the penmanship is different from what you have seen so far.

An Achilles Heel for the Chained Talos

It has been made believe that the Queen Plaga Carrier Alpha 1A Code name: Custodian is invulnerable. To a degree, that is true. The Custodian is certainly a creature resistant to damage from physical and magical attacks. Magic particularly being ineffective against it. However, there is no perfect weapon. Not one that can be crafted by him, at least. The Custodian has a tremendous range for his echolocation, which makes up for his slower pace, however, the Queen Plaga parasites in its body that make up its nigh invulnerable make-up, are also its downfall.

The parasites are invisible to the untrained eye. One would need to be able to discern invisible creatures, at the very least. Once such methods can be procured, it is only a matter to locate the parasites moving around the Custodian's body and picking them off.

Off the record, I am terribly disappointed at this new batch of subjects. Further research will have to be done if a more precise and efficient weapon is to be devised. I do hope he serves his purpose well.

@Dantie: You exchange swipes with Klaus. A resilient fellow, the Astral stalker is unwilling to relent, but the damage he has incurred is heavy. You can see he is breathing heavily.

"Myriam! My eyesight! Do something!"

The dryad looks at you and nods as she takes out a scroll.

"Klaus, do not resist. This will wash away your wounds!"

Klaus smiles as he looks at you through blind eyes and Myriam starts reciting the scroll.

"Your time is up, Dantie! Myriam! You have done well today. He would be proud...."

That's when you see a black vortex show up behind him and start pulling his essence in.

"Traitor! What are you doing? When He knows of this.."

Myriam watches the scroll disappear.

"...He will do nothing, Klaus. because he needs me. I would suggest you take a shower before you see him. See you around."

Klaus roars as he falls on the ground and claws on it to gain a foothold on this plane, but the spell proves to be too powerful, even for a man like him. As his essence is being pulled into the black vortex, Klaus looks at you.

"You haven't heard the last of me, Dantie! I will return. And I will kill that stupid little mage before your eyes, before feeding him to you!"

@The Party: You watch the Vortex engulf Klaus and the ground around it crackles in black energy before the rift closes and disappears completely. Myriam walks up to Clover.

"This her, I take it? The large lizard man?"

Myriam takes out a small vial.

"Always carry these around. The company I travel with can be dangerous if unchecked."

@Clover: You are awoken by a sudden rush as the smell of salt invades your senses. You open your eyes and watch Myriam placing a small vial in her pouch.

"Welcome back, Clover. I guess you met Klaus. I am sorry if I got you in trouble."

@Dantie: Myriam places walks towards the building, this one still crumbling.

"I'm sure you have many questions, Dantie, but right now, Tarith is a priority. I will try and locate the other one, who most likely has been watching in hiding. You will not be pursued by them again. Klaus specially."

@Xander: Myriam looks up at you.

"Thank you, Xander. Your spell did wonders in evening out the fight. I must now be on my way. One of the two has been taken care of, but the other one is still at large. I'm certain you will find Tarith. Good luck."

Myriam places a stone on her forehead.

"Let us hope our next encounter is under better circumstances. So long."

Myriam vanishes.

@The Party: Once Myriam is gone, the group from earlier shows up from the dark.

"Impressive! You managed to take down that monster! You are welcome in mercy's abandon. and here we were going to, well, rob you! However, we must ask- what are you doing here?"

Archmage1
2013-02-14, 07:39 AM
The lures and bees might be valuable, if I can find the right buyer, but this information about V - Acts... It would seem that I now know what I am dealing with. Removal will still be... difficult. And, I need to avoid that command word. It would seem that in order to fight the chained thing, I will need to be able to see the invisible, which could be... difficult. With luck, there will be something in this place

Tarith adds these notes to his to his collection of notes, as well as placing the two collections into his bag. He then double checks that the room is empty, by searching it quite well, hoping to find any concealed chambers, before he starts heading towards the piano room, choosing a route that does not have him fighting the hounds, and minimizes encounters otherwise.

[roll0] init

If counter grapples are needed
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

dantiesilva
2013-02-14, 10:20 AM
As Dantie and Klarus start exchanging blows he hears the creature call out to Myriam asking her to remove his aliments. As the vortex opens up behind Klarus Dantie speaks up making sure the creature can hear him before he leaves. Oh did you not know Xander could also take over peoples minds? I'm sorry you must have been misinformed like the last four that have come against us. 3 are dead. Take this as your warning and get free or next time it will be 4 dead. Dantie says to the creature watching him being sucked into the vortex and disappearing from this plane.

Once Klarus is gone he watches Myriam pull out a vial and go over the Clover, pouring the contents into her mouth. Within minutes he sees the girl open her eyes as if nothing had happened to her. Have a good nap while me and Xander did all the work now young lady? Word of advice when traveling with us, let them always think they have the upper hand and allow them to go first. Normally saves you alot of trouble. You could have targeted the darts with that blast of yours right? Quite impressive I might add. Helped me alot with defeating him and sending him back to his master. Dantie says to Clover before looking up to Xander. Perfect timing my friend. Could not have done that without you. After the pleasantries are done Dantie watches Myriam disappear like always.

As People come out of no where Dantie begins keeping a close eye on them while scan each one of them individually. I may not be Connor but if you would have tried you would have been brought before a court and judged for your crimes. Those who resisted would have meet my blade. Dantie says cleaning the blood of his blade before sheathing it once more along with his shield being returned to his back.

If time allowed mind you will be spending a full round action on each one visible to determine how evil they are, if not enough time just looking to see if they are evil.

[roll0] Spot check

Sliver
2013-02-14, 12:47 PM
Clover slowly opens her eyes and stands straight. As Dantie talks to her, she blinks at him and stands up. "No, I wouldn't say my nap was good... And I'm not like you and your fancy armor, I'm a pretty easy target. That's why I stay mobile and... Well, fighting along others is new to me and I'll need some time to get used to that. Well, I guess I could shoot down the darts, if I knew he'd use poison against me..." Clover rubbed her head in her lizard form and stood up as the men returned, staring at them. A low growl came from her throat.

AlanBruce
2013-02-14, 01:06 PM
@Tarith: With new information, you search the room thoroughly. You find, hidden in the fish tank, a small hook, like the ones used to fish.

You then approach the display cases. One can be opened by simply removing the latch. This one has an assortment of fishing lures. All of exceptional make.

Something is off here, however. There is a bee specimen here, not a lure. It does not belong with the rest.

You check out the other display case. This one is locked. It shows different bee specimens, but one of them is not a bee. It is a golden lure.

@Dantie: You check the men before you. There are eight of them. Human. Some older than others and dressed similar to Tarith's Ravens, but with less resources, given where they are in the city.

None seem to radiate evil.

The older one, a man in his thirties laughs.

"You could have us tried, but for what? This is the Mercy, friend! No laws apply here. It is abandoned. How many city guards do you see around? Tell me. I certainly don't see any..."

The man walks towards you.

"I'm Kyle. These are the my family. We're the Strays. Once all proud members of Hope's Caress. We all came here from different parts of the city and beyond to establish business, but when the Great Fire took down the orphanage and other potential businesses withdrew, some of us left. We decided we'd keep this place as best we could."

@Clover: You wake up groggily and growl at Kyle and the Strays. These ready weapons.

"Whoa! You be ready, family! There still seems to be one here whom the hound man hasn't taken down!"

NathanB1486
2013-02-14, 01:33 PM
Spellcraft [roll0](To ID the spell Myriam is casting off the scroll.[planeshift I suspect]) Also GMI lasts for 1 min/lvl, so Xander will be at max images(8) for a while.
Xander watches Myriam summon a vortex, witch pulls Klaus in sending him elsewhere, while doing so he thinks to himself, trying to decide why Myriam choose this course of action.
He? They are clearly speaking of their employer, Valtalis I suspect...I wonder if Klaus will be given the same type of modifications as Valtalis had done to Dekvi, or if his failure will earn him some other punishment...I suspect that scroll is similar to the one we found on Varien...but I wonder why Myriam chose to send him back to the ward, surely Klaus will report our whereabouts, and any new abilities, and Valtalis' future minions will be that much more prepared for us...This also confirms my suspicions, that Myriam works for Valtalis for some reason or another...I wonder if he has implanted something in her similar to the Grell in Tarith, witch would explain why she needs Andrea's expertise, but if she does I wonder if it allows Valtalis to scry on her more easily.
After the astral stalker had vanished, and the portal closes Xander flies to the others, and lands near Clover, looking to Dantie.
Klaus seemed rather resistant to most my magic, I believe luck was on our side when he failed to close his eyes at the right moment, and allowed the glitter from my spell to cloud his vision.
Xander then looks to Clover.
This is the first time they have made use of poison against us, we will have to prepare for it in the future, are you feeling well? Was Myriam's potion able to neutralize the poison completely?
Xander notices the reactions Kyle and his family have for Clover and her form, and looks to them.
Do not worry about the large lizard, she is actually with us. Now do you see why I had recommended against foolish actions against us? I am glad you no longer have any interest in attempting to steal from us, as it would have been a most unfortunate situation for you and your family at that point. As you why we are in Mercy's Abandon, we are searching for a teenage boy, that we suspect was abducted by the creature we just defeated, and delivered to Dr.Cutter so some nefarious experiment. We are on our way to meet with a Crazy Johann in hopes we learn where our friend may be being kept. You mentioned Hopes Caress, is that another name for this district before the fire, or is it a location within Mercy's Abandon?

dantiesilva
2013-02-14, 02:37 PM
You have a valid point Kyle. But you know as well as I that things are only left alone when those in power have something going on there that wants to be kept out of public eye. If you want our help in getting people back here to rebuild then perhaps you could help us. I am a cleric of Pelor, and at the moment represent Farther Jace himself. If there is anything we can do for each other we can perhaps rebuild this place. Also why do you call clover one of them? Is this one of the creations of Dr. Cutter. Dantie says to Kyle thinking that he is there spokemans.

Diplomacy roll [roll0]

AlanBruce
2013-02-14, 02:37 PM
@Xander: Kyle looks at Clover from a safe distance.

"After what we saw, yeah... I am tempted to say we made the right choice. As for Hope's Caress... that was the name before the city changed it to Mercy's Abandon. Life here's rough, but we manage a living."

At the mention of Dr. Cutter and him being responsible for Tarith, Kyle goes silent for a moment.

"We haven't seen any boy here. The folks around said they saw a girl, who managed to escape the Mercy after fighting some of his hounds. We thought that mad man was gone for good. He took many people when he was active, before his banishment. Now, some of my family has gone missing too. We have managed to take down some of his creations from time to time. Mostly, because we travel in larger numbers. Even then, it is sometimes wiser to avoid them."

At the mention of Crazy Johann.

"That old coot? Of course! He has a shack not too far from here. The man is a little...off. Hence his name, but harmless. He used to be the train conductor for the old station, but I'm sure he'll tell you more about it. Follow me."

@The Party: Kyle and his Strays lead you through the many alleys of Mercy's Abandon. Kyle stops at the hanged skeleton of what appears to be a humanoid, similar to Klaus, but shorter but with very long claws. Several names have been scribed on the walls around him.

"This bastard took down many of my family before he fell. This was years ago. We believe it was one of Cutter's things. It cut through three heads off cleanly before we had a chance to know he was amongst us. We keep his body here as a reminder- we never stop fighting."

You finally arrive at a small shack surrounded by a green pond. The place smells awful, much like the rest of the district. A multitude of signs have been planted on the ground.

Get Out!

Private Property

Trespassers WILL be Shot!

Kyle takes a few steps forward.

"He's a bit... paranoid. HEY OLD MAN! IT'S KYLE! COME OUT!"

The door opens quickly and a bolt flies out and lands a few feet off Kyle.

A scrawny old man in overalls and a funny hat comes out. This man is as wrinkled as they come, for a human. Hair grows out his ears at an exponential rate, but nowhere else. A lazy eye looks to the left while the other one is milky and cataract ridden. An old hound comes out behind him and yawns heavily as it looks around the people and sniffs the air, before deciding to walk back inside. The old man holds an old crossbow with a shaky pulse.

"What have I told you, Lyle! This is MY property!"

Kyle sighs.

"One, it's Kyle. K.Y.L.E. Kyle. How many times do I have to tell you? Second, we're not in your property. We're outside your sign range, like you always stated. These fine folks wish to see you."

Crazy Johann moves his head so his lazy eye gets a good view. he addresses Dantie.

"Sir Randolph? You're out of your cage!"

dantiesilva
2013-02-14, 04:21 PM
Off to work so sorry for the post

Not exactly, my name is Farther Dantie and I come on behalf of many of the temples of this city. At the moment I am the representative of Farther Jace and Xander is that of Sir Randolph. We came seeking answers. My friend Xander would like to ask you if you have the time. Dantie says kindly to the man.

AlanBruce
2013-02-14, 04:33 PM
@Dantie: Crazy Johann lowers his crossbow and walks with a tiring gait towards you. The man is short and old. A hunch already shows through age. Turning his head sideways to get a better view at you, the old train conductor bows with much effort.

"Father Dantie and Master Xander! Oh, Hey Kyle! get rid of that beast!" He points at Clover.

Kyle sighs.

"Old man, he or she is with them. It's no enemy."

@The Party: Kyle looks at you with the Strays.

"Take care of the old man. He's kind of a landmark around here, ok?"

The rogues leave through the shadows. Johann invites you in.

"Mind the door, it's a low one."

The shack is small and heavily cluttered in junk. The old great dane sits by an iron stove which heats the place. It opens an eye from its prone position and manages to wag its tail twice before snoring. An old rocking chair next to the stove provides seating for the man. Johann hangs his crossbow on the wall and invites all three of you take his bed, which also acts as a couch.

"Well, it's not every day I get such high visitors! Church representatives, even! What can this old man do you for?"

Archmage1
2013-02-14, 05:45 PM
Looks like another puzzle.

Tarith tries replacing the bee specimen with the hook found in the tank. He then approaches the bee collection, half expecting it to open at his approach.

AlanBruce
2013-02-14, 06:03 PM
@Tarith: You place the lure in the space where the bee specimen was and head towards the bee collection set with bee specimen in hand.

As you approach the display, you hear a click as the display opens slightly.

Archmage1
2013-02-14, 06:04 PM
Now, if I move this back to the other one...

Tarith replaces the golden lure with the bee specimen, before turning back to the lure display, and replacing the fishing hook with the lure he just got.

Unless, of course, something happens when he gets the lure.

NathanB1486
2013-02-14, 06:16 PM
Xander bows to Kyle and his family before they depart.
Thank you for your assistance Kyle, with luck me and my companions will be able to remove the threat Dr.Cutter presents, and make this district that much more safe again. You mentioned you had battled this creations before, can you tell me if there are any specific areas witch you have noticed an increase in activity of these creatures?

After entering Crazy Johann's home, Xander bows to him before taking a seat on the bed.
Thank you for your hospitality, Dantie and I are investigating rumors of Dr.Cutter's return to Halmathan, as well as the disappearance of a friend of ours, a young teenage boy named Tarith. We have come to you specifically, due to a meeting I had with the Lady of Silver Dreams, whom had provided me with a rough map of the district, and directed me to your home to meet with you, in hopes you could aid us further.
Xander hands Johann the map Erethiel had given him.
She had also informed me of your former occupation as a conductor for the city's train system, she had expressed concerns that the train may be operational again, and running in secret after curfew, she had requested I look into both the matter of Dr.Cutter, and that of the trains recent activity, I am hoping due to the your history in this district you will be able to aid us in both of our investigations.

AlanBruce
2013-02-14, 10:57 PM
@Tarith: You place the bee specimen with the others of its kind on its appointed slot.

A click is heard somewhere in the room.

You then head back with the golden lure and place the fishing hook in its place at the other display.

No click. Odd. However, you do notice this golden lure has a slot at its base. Maybe something can go there.

@Xander: You walk alongside Kyle and his band of Strays. You notice a bunch of people working in their homes- cobblers, a smith, a seamstress. Kyle nods to each as he passes by.

"The Mercy is one of the biggest districts in Halmathan. There's a lot of good honest people who make a living here, even after the place was condemned and walled. Fun fact- many nobles will send their butlers here to purchase our wares. Since we aren't official stores, our prices are cheaper. Not too long ago, the Captain of the Royal guard came here and had a talk with me and others. She told it was the king's wish to reopen Mercy's Abandon. Relocate trade here. This would have benefited us immensely. Giving the district an overhaul would've drawn in travelers from abroad, like you. With new shops and the quality of work here, people could actually make a decent living. Then, the king vanished and this new Inquisitor took over. The Mercy remains what it is now."

Regarding Cutter's creations.

"When the mad doctor was active, his monsters could be found virtually anywhere. Mostly active at night. Those hounds of his- they can fly. So naturally, no building or alley was safe. The attacks were random, sadly, but usually darkened alleys."

You reach Crazy Johann's hut and Kyle shakes your hand.

"Sorry about the initial confusion. Tough times here. We'll go and do our rounds, in case something nasty pops up."

Crazy Johann smiles as he listens to your contact.

"Ahhh, the Lady of Silver Dreams, yes. Nice lady. She came by awhile back investigating the rumors of the Butcher Doctor. A nasty fellow, let me tell you. When the Mercy was renamed and the District shut down, that madman would still walk the streets and offer the good folk here hospice at his manor. The people accepted gladly. We didn't know any better, nobody cared about a derelict and abandoned place. Then the killing moved beyond the wall. then they took notice. Funny how it works, huh?"

Crazy Johann starts musing on his past.

"Years ago, when the Grand Station was still an idea, I moved from the Free City to seek a new life here. The place wasn't bad, actually. I heard they were looking for people to train for a new job- a conductor's job. I jumped in. It was a new thing for me. Something about machines and gnomes. The lessons were paid by the City and I even graduated as an official Train engineer. Look."

Johann points to a wall and you see an old scroll in a wooden frame.

The Halmathan School of Engineering Proudly Awards

Johann Van Guntherssen

The title of head Train Engineer and Conductor

The great dane lazily raises his head at the diploma and yawns loudly before going back to sleeping.

"I was the first batch of a promising new career. The Dragon's Flight, that's what the machine was called. A beauty to behold. Who knows how much money was put into its construction, but I do know that much of it came from the Pottsdorff family, who had a great interest in transporting large amounts of the quartz from their mine to the city without having to pay mages. A sound idea, given the enormous amounts that came from that mine daily. There were other routes the Dragon's Flight took as well. One was going underground to what the King wanted to call a Sub Station. It would allow the train to go beneath the city at faster speeds, stopping at different parts of Halmathan. I know some of the routes were never completed once the whole place was shut down."

When you ask him about the train being operational again, Crazy Johann goes silent.

"I had heard that the Grand Station was being used after dark. However, the Dragon's Flight is not an easy machine to use. It requires months of training under gnome engineers. I was the first and last group of very few to graduate with such knowledge..."

Crazy Johann gets up from his chair as his dog raises his brow. The old man checks the straps on his overalls and looks at you.

"That machine was like a second home to me. If anyone knows how to operate it, that's Old Johann, yes sir! I can take you there and then we can check what's wrong with the Dragon's Flight."

dantiesilva
2013-02-14, 11:14 PM
Dantie sits quietly by listening to the story and petting the dog every now and then. That is of course until the man suggest he go with them to the train station. I mean no disrespect sir but we do not know if it is safe and we have already been attacked once so far today. We could come get you once we clear the area where the train as you call it was last seen. That way we can make sure you are not harmed. You are a very important person to this community, and if anything happened to you it would be our fault if you came. And I can not promise it to be safe. Dantie says placing a strong reassuring hand on the man. We will bring you to her when we know it is safe that way you can help us stop it from working until a later date when the king returns. How does that sound? After all it is your train only you should be using it. Dantie says with a kind smile at the old man.

[roll0] diplomacy

AlanBruce
2013-02-14, 11:57 PM
@Dantie: The great dane wags his tail as you pet him. Crazy Johann sits back on his rocking chair and looks at the old dog.

"Calico here has been my faithful companion for some twenty odd years. I see he approves of you, father. very well. Let me see your map, please."

Crazy Johann marks a route on it.

"This should take you to Grand Station. The trek isn't that far. You will have to go under ground where the Dragon's Flight is permanently resting. If any activity is happening, it would be there. Good luck, fine sir. And be careful."

@The Party: You leave Johann's hovel and follow the directions marked on the map. You observe the sun already setting as the last rays of light bathe the tall crumbling buildings of the Mercy. The men and women begin shutting their doors and windows. they know better what prowls the streets at night.

After about an hour, you reach what looks like a temple, but with no walls. Tall columns made of marble line the area. The roof of this wall less temple has the Halmathan Insignia, now covered in grime and dust. Below you see a name, barely visible.

Hope's Caress Grand Central Station

A set of stone stairs lead downward in the middle of the place. Large bulletins stand against time with old parchments on them, some completely blackened with time.

dantiesilva
2013-02-15, 01:08 AM
Thank you for understanding. and he seems like a faithful friend. I am sure he was a sight to see in his prime. Dantie says as he waits for Xander to hand over the map. Once the route is marked Dantie examines it and makes mental notes inside his head to make sure he does not get lost before looking back up to the man and listening to what he has to say. How will we know if it has been used in some time or not? Is there anything in particular we should look for? Dantie asks the man before leaving the house and bringing the others with him to the train station.

Taking 10 on survival for a 21, not sure if there is a bonus or not because I got a map with the route marked on it. If Xander and Clover have the skill as well mind using aid another just in case for the fun of it. Good Rp after all.

As we arrive at the destination I look it up and down noticing how much it looks like a temple and wounder if thats what the original builders had in mind. As we all go and slowly explore the area, keeping an eye open for anything that seems out of place I notice that the roof bares the symbol of the city and under our feet buried by the grime of time is the name of the station.

Taking 10 on a spot and listen check for 20 and 16 to see if I notice any tracks in the grime that should not be there ( after all this place has been abandoned) and listening for any odd sounds. If I find any tracks taking 10 in survival for a 21 to see where they lead. Will wait for others before descending into the dark.

AlanBruce
2013-02-15, 03:47 AM
@Dantie: Johann listens to your request and gets up.

"Wait a second. It must be here, somewhere..."

Johann takes out a pamphlet from the amount of junk he has collected around his hovel. The pamphlet looks very old and used.

Dragon's Flight Maintenance

Welcome, fellow Engineer and Conductor!

Halmathan is now a proud owner of the S- series in steam powered mobility. This machine has been crafted with the best gnome architects and engineers under its care. As such, a few points must be observed:

-The S-series or "Dragon Flight" is a new machine, as such, it should be handled as a newborn. That is, with utmost care.

-Always have someone to double check all technical procedures. We acknowledge your skill, but the Dragon's Flight plays on what we call the Buddy System. Never try and run the machine alone!

-The Dragon's Flight has three power sources:

One is in the cockpit or conductor's seat. This is the most important part of the machine. Always have someone handling the controls and to check when the Dragon's Flight changes rails.

The Steam Room runs on crystallized steam and fire mephits. There is always a spare in case a crystal breaks and the mephits are let loose. Do not panic if this happens! The mephits are not dangerous if you follow the directions left in the Steam Room on how to encase them again. Please check the manual for details. A supervisor to the conductor should be handling the Steam Room at all times.

The Power Room provides the necessary energy for the entire machine. This area is located at the back of the train. Always have a supervisor using the necessary equipment to protect himself from the sporadic arcane charges that may bounce off the Main Conduit.

REMEMBER: The Dragon's Flight may look like an overwhelming vehicle, but if you follow the instructions left at each station and use the voice transfer modules attached in each room, you should not have any problem communicating with one another in the designated areas.

Be proud, you are doing your city a fine service,

Master Engineer,

Gigget Greasersprocket

You arrive at the Grand Station and look around.

There are tracks leading underground. Hard to tell if they are fresh. However, no sound can be heard below.

Archmage1
2013-02-15, 07:36 AM
Meant to place the golden lure in the collection with the other lures, replacing the hook.

Tarith looks around, trying to determine if there is anything in the area that fits into the slot on the lure. If there is, he will combine the two, if not, he pockets the lure, and heads out once more, meaning to explore the end of the corridor.

If the puzzle is a one room puzzle, that should get it, if not, Tarith's init was a 19, so he should have a round to take a look around the corridor.

NathanB1486
2013-02-15, 11:39 AM
Xander takes the map and pamphlet from Johann, he quickly reads over the pamphlet before storing it in his sack with his other reading material, he gives the map to Dantie to allow him to better guide them through the district.
Johann, how long do you think it will take us to reach the station? I have a spell that would allow you to safely at your home and still able to communicate mentally with us, we will also be able to transmit images of what we see from time to time in order to get your opinion on the condition of the Dragon's Flight once we arrive in the station. My spell lasts just over two hours at the moment, and I would very much like to use in case we are in need of your expertise once we arrive, if you will accept my spell.
Xander looks to Dantie and Clover.
Dantie, you and I are already permanently linked, but I will link us both to Clover and Johann for a time. Clover, this is the first time you have experienced my spell, no harm will come to you, and there is no risk of the link being able to be used in any harmful way, please accept the spell as well.

Once they arrive at the Station, Xander examines the bulletins, seeing if any are still legible, if any seem to have any relevant information, Xander carefully removes them and safely stores them in his pack, Mentally to the Party.
These tracks... I wonder if they are from the common folk living in Mercy's Abandon, or if they have been made by the those that we suspect are secretly operating the train, either way we should be prepared, I would also like to avoid adding our own tracks to the grim, as if Klaus was not a perfect example, I suspect our enemy may employ more capable tracker than any of us here, can you two of you fly, or would you like my assistance?
Xander recasts Alterself(Trog), as well as nightshield, shield, invisibility, and extended fly on himself. He also cast fly on Clover and Dantie if they request it, before carefully entering the station.

If Johann allows the spell, Xander casts Telepathic bond, linking Johann, Clover, Dantie, and himself together. (Even if Johann doesn't accept, Xander links the party mentally still.)

Dantie, we can't use survival to follow tracks with a DC over 10 with out the track feat unfortunately, so our party has a very low chance at tracking things.

Xander will fly a few inches above the ground to avoid making tracks, as well a taking advantage of the troglodytes natural ability to hide underground (+8 to hide)

Spot [roll0] (looking for anything that doesn't seem right.)
Listen [roll1] (listening for anything that doesn't seem right.)
Hide [roll2] (1 from dex, 8 from Trog form, also Xander is invis)
Move Silently [roll3] (Also flying so hopefully less noise.)

Sliver
2013-02-15, 11:48 AM
Clover shrugs as she shifts out of her lizard form and into a winged elf, her eyes glowing blue for a moment before she turned invisible. She was still very nervous traveling in the district, even with allies, after the day before had left quite an impression on her.

AlanBruce
2013-02-15, 01:14 PM
@Tarith: You combine the lure with the hook and place it on its space in the display case.

You hear a click and a low rumble as the book shelf slides to the left, revealing a small space on the wall. Inside you find something most unusual.

Its a seal, in the shape of a sun. There is also something else here, placed neatly on top of the seal.

The ebony fly figure.

You leave the room and the small cross way and back to the corridor. Dodging the Crimson Heads who have already ran up to the second floor, you take your right and check the end of the corridor, taking a sharp turn right and into a door.

This one, thankfully, is unlocked.

This room has a small divan which is, unlike the one in another room, bloodless, but no less dusty. A table with a vase and withered flowers stands at the base of a great portrait depicting a man with slick black hair and white medical attire. He stands very tall and grim, looking at the viewer through a monocle. The man is wearing a blue ring. A young girl, probably no more than eight, sits on a chair in front of him with her hands on her lap. She wears a white dress and matching colored gloves and has a red choker around her neck. Her expression is no less serious than the man. The canvas has something written at the bottom right.

My Finest Work, A.S.

A door in this room would lead further into the mansion, however it is locked, with the engraving of an armor.

@Xander: Johann listens to you as the dog stands up.

"Well, I have never had any of those fancy spells placed on me. It won't turn me into a cat, will it? Hehehe... Calico here wouldn't want me being a cat, because well, you know... sure, go ahead."

Upon reaching the Grand Station, you walk up to one of the bulletins. Although time has worn out the parchment, spread over the surface and nailed, you can still make out most of what it says and portrays. There is an etching of a perfect family: a man, a woman and two kids. The parents are smiling at the viewer as one of the kids turns his head towards the side and signals what appears to be a long machine in the background emitting steam. To the side of this image you read the following.

Welcome, Citizen!

You are about to embark on a ride the likes none have ever been into! Step right up and take a seat. The Dragon's Flight is a FREE service, because we know how hard you work and your family deserves comfortable travel. Please enjoy the ride and remember to listen to our guide whenever she announces the stops!

These are our current stations:

Rashema's Marina

Temple District

Royal District

Hope's Caress (You are Here!)

Karyllyn's Mine (please make sure you have proper documentation if your stop ends there)

Coming Soon:

Halmathan Royal Park North Station

Halmathan Royal Park South Station

Halmathan Royal Park West Station

Halmathan Royal Park East Station

Merchant District

Art District

@The Party: After Exploring the upper area of the station, you decide to head downstairs.

The steps are broad, designed for large numbers of people to come down at the same time. After about a hundred feet of stairs, you reach the lower platform.

This place is truly enormous. Benches for people to sit while they waited for the Dragon's Flight have been placed at different intervals. Now piled with bags of garbage. Rats move around, clearly annoyed at your arrival. Then, there is the machine itself, resting beyond the platform.

This must be what Johann referred to as a marvel of gnome design. This construct, for lack of a batter term, looks much like a serpent because of its shape, elongated and copper colored. The machine is at least by estimate a thousand feet long and twenty feet high. You walk towards the front, which is closer and see that the front has been shaped like a golden dragon's head, stylized to look more like a bird, to increase speed, no doubt. Golden letters have been nailed on the side of the machine.

The Dragon's Flight

The train isn't moving, and several of the doors seem shut, except for one at the middle of the train.

NathanB1486
2013-02-15, 03:12 PM
To himself.
A list of the completed stations, as well as those proposed for future use...I wonder how many of these stations are still active...that machine in the back must be the train...
Xander carefully removes the flyer, and safely stores it for future reference.

Xander pauses to take in the full sight of the train, sending a mental image of the station to Johann, along with a mental message.
This thing is fascinating...it is a shame such a project was shut down, such technology would be a great boon to all on Oerth, did you you have the opportunity to operate this machine many times before it was shut down? Aside from the open door, does all seem as you remember it?
Xander moves to the open door, and carefully pokes his head in, just enough to see what is inside.

Spot [roll0]
Listen [roll1]
Hide [roll2] (also invis)
Move Silently [roll3] (also flying)

AlanBruce
2013-02-15, 03:25 PM
@Xander: You place take out the bulletin and store it in your bag. Then, once downstairs on the platform, you relay the image of the train to Johann.

Indeed, sir! The Dragon's Flight was to course through the entire city and surrounding areas outside. The gnomes did a fantastic job with that...

Johann pauses in his thoughts.

I recall when the station and the train were shut down. I remember the entire machine was locked. There shouldn't be any opened door.

You place your hand on the handle for the door.

This one is sticky. Some viscous substance on it. The door slides to the side with ease and you poke your head in to get a better view.

A fancy interior. You see rows of cushioned seats on each side and a long carpet between them. The carpet has a golden dragon motif going along. This area is a hundred feet long and has two doors at each end.

You do see a few bodies placed on the seats, in different locations.

They appear to be dead.

Oddly enough, you see a myriad of tiny trails going off in both directions of the cart, towards both doors.

NathanB1486
2013-02-15, 04:23 PM
Before opening the door, Xander takes out a vial from his field research kit, and scraps some of the viscous substance off the door handle into it, pausing briefly to examine it before storing it in his sack to examine more thoroughly later.
Did not add CoS, please add if applicable(+5 to checks). (applies to IDing monsters, unsure if it is left by a monster or something else.)
Knowledge (Dungeoneering) [roll0]
Knowledge (Nature) [roll1]

After opening the door, Xander examines the tracks on the ground, confirming if it appears the same substance he gathered off the door, before carefully moving over to the nearest body, Xander stays out of arms reach while ensuring the creature is dead before trying to push it out of its seat with his staff while still maintaining as much distance as he can, figuring if it were a undead creature it would react in some way to falling out of its seat, Xander mentally relays everything he is doing to the party while in the train, after doing all that and if nothing seems amiss, Xander leaves the train to wait for the others to prepare, mentally to the party before he enters.
Corpses positioned in random seats? Odd...I will investigate briefly, please wait outside the train, I will return as soon as I have ensured one of the corpses is not among the undead.

AlanBruce
2013-02-15, 04:37 PM
@Xander: You gather some of the material from the handle and take a look at it, comparing it to the trails left on the carpet.

Leeches. These trails were made by leeches. It is normal for them to leave such a trail on the ground, given their means of locomotion. It does not surprise you that they would have gone into the cart underneath- leeches lack a bone structure and can thus pass through openings as wide as an inch, if not smaller. However, why would they coat the door handle, particularly when there are no traces from the ground to the door?

You prod one of the bodies at a safe distance with your staff, managing to pull it out of its seat.

The body slumps to the ground and you watch the man's expression frozen in horror. It seems it was killed not too long ago. The man wears commoner clothing and has a greenish coloration to its skin.

The tip of your staff used to prod it has some more of that viscous material.

Archmage1
2013-02-15, 05:43 PM
As he gathers up the collections of lures and bees, careful to not damage them, Tarith continues to be sad at needing to steal his own stuff back.

After he reaches the next room, he is surprised at the painting, not recognizing either the people in it, or the initials. Perhaps a trophy of some sort...

Having nothing better to do, he searches the room(41 search) hoping to find something useful there.

AlanBruce
2013-02-15, 06:21 PM
@Tarith: You look around the room, however, it would seem the only thing of interest here would be the painting, which can be taken off the wall, but has nothing more of interest.

Now, where to...

Archmage1
2013-02-15, 06:34 PM
After finding nothing, Tarith tries taking the painting, before heading towards the piano room, planning on using his next key there.

[roll0] init

dantiesilva
2013-02-15, 10:56 PM
As Xander links everyone’s mind together Dantie waits patiently for him to finishes. Once done Dantie begins following the map.

As Dantie sees the tracks on the ground he looks down at them trying to see how old they are. Not sure if he can, but willing to give it a shot. After all it was a new skill he had learned inside the valley.

[roll0] Survival to Try to see how old the tracks are as Xander pointed out though will be extremely hard if not impossible because I do not have the track feat.

Mentally to the party Dantie asks Xander to cast fly on him so that he does not make any marks on the ground, or at least any more then he already has to a good tracker. And then begins searching the area making sure nothing is following them before heading to the door.

Taking my time to take 20 like Tarith dose so I have a 30 in spot and a 26 in listen.

Once the situation is clear upstairs Dantie takes the lead going down into the dark abyss that is the train station. After flying down one hundred feet comes a platform and rats seem to scurry everywhere as they are disturbed by our presence. Or at least mine as I can not see where the other two have gone with their spells in place. Slowly I look around the area around us making sure all seems safe and when my eyes fall on the machine I am struck by how large it is. It is truly massive. Mentally to the others Dantie says I think we should do a sweep from either front to back or back to front, clearing the way as we go. Mr. conductor sir is there any way I can make these things separate from one another since you said it could not be started unless all 3 forms were being used properly.

As Dantie is heading towards the front of the train he gets a message from Xander saying he is inside the middle compartment and there seem to be trails of leeches and dead bodies. I think we should stick together. As I am already visible I will take the lead in the matter and open all the doors. Be on your guard though everyone. Where death is it normally stays and you have heard the stories of the creatures Cutter has made.

AlanBruce
2013-02-15, 11:19 PM
@Dantie: You step in through the middle cart of the Dragon's Flight and keen your senses to any danger.

You can hear some footsteps on the door to your left, beyond it. You also hear the sound of water on beyond the door to the right, which would lead to the front of the train. You contact Johann.

Indeed, sir. The carts can be divided, but that can be done in only two ways: Manually, but for that you would need assistance, since the carts are connected by massive hooks. The other is through the main control room- the conductor's chair, at the front of the machine.

AlanBruce
2013-02-15, 11:35 PM
@Tarith: You evade the Crimson heads and run as fast as you can down the corridor and take the stairs to your right. The door leading to the slimes hallway with the Siren Door is nearly within your grasp.

Then, something happens.

You turn that doorknob and the knob stays in your hand. That sound earlier. That leech walker must've broken the doorknob on his side, prompting this one to become completely loose. The door is now an impassable barrier.

The Crimson Heads roar as they start coming down the stairs, blocking you path.

Archmage1
2013-02-15, 11:37 PM
Not good. Now I need to get past these two creatures... And that is going to be difficult. There is no opening this door again now. Never good

Tarith, having no other options, tries going past them, dodging their pathetic attempts at attacks.

[roll0] tumble dc 15
[roll1] tumble 2 dc 17

AlanBruce
2013-02-15, 11:40 PM
@Tarith: You run towards them turn right while immediately leaping left against the wall and using the railing to propel yourself fifteen feet away from both failed experiments.

The Crimson Heads roar and charge at you.

Charge1: [roll0] damage [roll1] imp. grab [roll2] plus bite [roll3]

Charge2: [roll4] damage [roll5] imp. grab [roll6] plus bite [roll7]

Archmage1
2013-02-15, 11:41 PM
Tarith, after getting hit by one, although it was unable to grab him, managing to slip on some of the grime on his armor, withdraws, trying to get to the piano room without going through the hounds.

First misses, second hits, but nat 1 on the grapple,so auto fail

AlanBruce
2013-02-15, 11:46 PM
@Tarith: I figured he would fail on the grapple. remember that a 1 on that check is not a fail, but given your BAB + strength modifier, even if a negative, success was guaranteed for you.

One of the creatures leaves a small gash on your back. The other one takes off a piece of the floor board used for the stairs. You know you can get past these two, but then there's the corridor on the second floor.

Two more are lurking there. And probably hungry.

Not missing a beat, you rush for the door that will take you to the corridor with the Knigh's Room puzzle door and which will lead you to the second floor foyer, ideally one step closer to the coveted Music Room.

You leave the two beatss behind and open the door. Sure enough, one of them is twenty feet away from you. The other one must be at the corner turn.

dantiesilva
2013-02-15, 11:49 PM
Not waiting for the others as he is not exactly sure if they are following him or not he walks up to the hooks and looks trying to see if he could do it himself. After looking and seeing that it would take to much noise Dantie looks for a door at the front of the train to get inside.

Archmage1
2013-02-15, 11:50 PM
Tarith tries to make his way past the surprised zombies, hoping that the suddenness of his appearance is enough to keep him safe from being clawed again.

[roll0] init

AlanBruce
2013-02-16, 12:01 AM
@Tarith: You dart past one of them and the other turns its hateful gaze at you, the door a mere few feet behind him.

@Dantie: You carefully walk through the platform, checking each cart. You notice that there is a rather large tunnel for the train to go forth. How much farther in, is only a guess.

You approach the first cart, the main one where Johann would have sat to drive this machine. You see there are windows where the eyes of the dragon would be, about fifteen feet high, which would indicate Johann had to climb a small set of stairs to drive and see. You don't, sadly, find any door that opens at the conductor's cart.

You then head to check what connects them.

Hooks. Massive iron hooks bound together with age. A thin layer of rust coats them, but they are massive.

AlanBruce
2013-02-16, 12:04 AM
@Tarith: Darting to the side, you reach the door, hopeful to never again have to go through this hallway.

The second floor foyer. A welcome respite from everything so far. You take a few steps and then feel your body as heavy as a bag of rocks. You lean against the railing and watch your vision get blurry for a few seconds. Then it dawns upon you.

You've never stopped running all night. Your skills may be way above that of a mere mortal, but a mortal's body is what you have, with all its lofty heights and falls.

NathanB1486
2013-02-16, 12:09 AM
Mentally to the party.
These men were slain by leeches? What an odd way to die, I wonder just how many there must have been, and what kept the men still long enough to for them to feed...and then there is the same residue on the handle as well...but how could it have gotten there...Johann, does Mercy's Abandon have a rather large leech? The train is full of bodies that appear to have been slain by leeches.

Once Xander gets Dantie's message.
The door was ajar, it seemed most important thing to investigate, especially if it contained an enemy laying in wait, also I have enough magic left that I could easily escape with little worry. Are any of the other doors unlocked, or will we be forced to begin any search from this car? Also please everyone please remember that we do not know who or what is operating the train, or where they may be at this moment.

Xander flies back out of the middle car, and up until he is higher than the train(10 ft if roof allows.) and takes a good look around, checking to see if anyone happens to be around, he also makes sure he keeps Dantie in sight while doing it.

Assuming Xander doesn't know about the sounds Dantie heard, as he did not roll very high, and Dantie did not inform them.

dantiesilva
2013-02-16, 12:09 AM
Seeing no way into the first cart Dantie goes back to the middle cart Xander was in and pulls out his sword and shield. Xander are you done examining the dead? Lets pile them outside for our return. And then begin heading towards the front of the train. That is when he hears footsteps on the left side of him coming from the door a few feet down and the sound of dripping water from the other end. I hear footsteps on the left heading towards the back of the train, and water ahead of us. I think we should check out the footsteps what about everyone else? Dantie says mentally to all those with him before informing the conductor that there is someone indeed on the train.

What did we say my AC was again?

Archmage1
2013-02-16, 12:14 AM
Tarith, while tired, also knows that he nears the end of this nightmare, choosing to continue on for now.
He continues heading towards the piano room, despite his fatigue.

He has only had an hour or so of activity...

AlanBruce
2013-02-16, 12:28 AM
@Xander: You realy what you have seen to Johann.

Leeches in the Station? None that I know of. Leeches are found in swamps, no? No swamps here. Although I recall that when the mad doctor began taking people away, some of his victims were seen prowling the streets. Those who would walk up to them found that they were changed. They wore their face, but their body was slimy to the touch and they babbled incoherently. I have never seen such a thing, fortunately.

@Dantie: You inform Johann that the train is indeed occupied.

That's impossible, sir! You need special keys to access the various rooms that are employee only. Whoever must be there had to know of this since its construction- maybe one of the engineers who graduated with me? But that was years ago. Any with that knowledge would be as old as I!

@Tarith: You go down the main stairs and enter the dining room.

The sound of the grandfather clock still ticking makes for a welcome sound. No growls here, unless you count the sound of minute leeches moving around the table and floor. You decide it's time to make some music in this house of horrors. You do know there is a lone guard patrolling the next corridor. No longer a human being- something else entirely with its organs now twisted to be weapons.

You open the door to the hallway and find the other door that was unlocked awhile back. Good to have options when escaping. You see the bloodied guard standing by the music room, a mere five feet away.

Archmage1
2013-02-16, 12:29 AM
Tarith, seeing the guard not reacting to his presence, simply dashes across, and into the music room
(surprise round)

NathanB1486
2013-02-16, 12:32 AM
Take 10 for 10 on spot/listen rolls while covering Dantie. (In previous post.)
After Dantie finishes investigating the front of the train, Xander follows him back inside the middle cart.
You wish to move the bodies? They appear dead enough at the moment, I think we should investigate the footsteps before making any noise. I will cover you if you wish to open the door.
Xander moves behind one of the seats, away from any bodies, and covers Dantie so he can open the door.

AlanBruce
2013-02-16, 12:33 AM
@Tarith: you move towards the guard and when you're twenty feet away from him, he turns it's nasty visage at you as his hands, ever clenched in a strangling position motion towards you.

Archmage1
2013-02-16, 12:34 AM
Tarith loses init.
From the description, I thought the guard was 5 feet from Tarith, not from the room.
still, meh.
Tarith will attempt to withdraw on his round. 23 ac. 12 attack.
anyway, good night.

AlanBruce
2013-02-16, 12:39 AM
@Tarith: The guard moves towards you with his hands outstretched. What used to be his face now a red tentacle with the sword attached. Flailing about.

Imp. grapple touch [roll0] grapple [roll1] if caught, face blade damage [roll2]

dantiesilva
2013-02-16, 12:55 AM
Or one of them could have had a child, or been a member of a different race in disguise. There are many reasons why this could be like this. I am going to investigate now. Will try to send you visual of the battle as it happens if it does lead to one. Dantie replies before heading over to the door with the footsteps. Ready everyone? Dantie asks mentally to Xander and Clover. Once he gets the go ahead he tries as quietly as he can to open the door and look inside without being seen.

Taking a standard action to Activate divine shield So +5 to AC for 13 turns for the loss of 1 turn attempt

Hide I take -4 to for being large so [roll0]

Taking 20 on spot and listen for 30 and 26 in the room I am looking into that I opened the door on.

Move silently [roll1]

AlanBruce
2013-02-16, 01:00 AM
@Dantie: You open the door as carefully as you can, trying to not make any noise.

Listen [roll0]

Spot: [roll1]

Another cart. This one has a line of seats as well. A most disturbing sight is unveiled in front of you.

Some more dead bodies lie on the seats. Not many so as to crowd the cart, but at least ten that you can count quickly. Forty feet away, you see a man dressed as the Royal Guard. He walks from towards you, but addresses the dead bodies.

"Tickets, please. Tickets, please...."

His eyes. Something about them. They are reddish and his skin is very pale.

The guard looks at you and unsheathes his word.

"Tickets, please..."

dantiesilva
2013-02-16, 01:12 AM
As Dantei sees whats going on He keeps his eyes locked on what is coming towards him Completely blocking the doorway into the room with his large frame. On the orders of His grace Connor I demand you stop at this instant and tell me what you are doing here. And sheath your weapon. Dantie says, not sure what is going on. It is almost as if the creature had no brain. He relays all that he sees and hears through his mental connection with the others.

Taking a total defense action to Add +4 to my AC for this turn bringing it up to 43 for the turn, then back down to 39 after it attacks. 12 more turns until it drops down to 34

AlanBruce
2013-02-16, 01:26 AM
@Dantie: You order the guard to sheathe his weapon, under Church Law. The guard smiles as red veins form around his eyes.

"Tickets...PLEASE!"

Then, as soon as the guard comes into contact with your holy aura, you sense him. there is evil in this one. Not overwhelming like foes fought before, but it's there.

AlanBruce
2013-02-16, 01:33 AM
@Dantie: The guard charges at you as he keeps repeating that stupid question over and over again.

Charge: [roll0] damage [roll1]

dantiesilva
2013-02-16, 01:47 AM
As the creature comes into range of Danties abilties to sense evil he notices that there is something off about what is before him as it does not stop and charges him not able to say anything except ticket please. I warned you. Dantie says to the royal guard as he swings his sword at him.

I am taking a full attack action Keep in mind this goes after Xander and Clover as they go before this post as on my turn (int is 26) I took a total defense.

Attack 1 [roll0] (+3 comes from my persisted divine favor, and +4 comes from my weapons ability) Damage roll [roll1] + [roll2] If evil and not neutral +13 added on if undead from sun devotion which will then tell dantie that it is an undead meaning fun times are ahead with divine wrath.

AlanBruce
2013-02-16, 01:53 AM
@Dantie: You strike the guard down and the seats at his left and right are sprayed with blood from his wound. The blade goes straight down his neck and stops at the ribcage.

The guard screams in pain as blood keeps sputtering out of the deep wound and drops to his knees before finally dying as his body dissolves in a reddish ichor, leaving behind only his belongings.

dantiesilva
2013-02-16, 02:10 AM
Alan not aware if you saw OOC but since it is not an undead and it charged me I got a full attack meaning if you look in OOC I have done a grand total of 102 damage not including damage from undead abilities. Now I do not know what kind of Dr this thing may have but I believe a fortitude save for massive damage is in order because of that beautiful crit if all attacks hit that is.

As Danties blade destroys what was once a man he feels pitty for the royal guard and says a silent prayer before checking the belongings and then all the other bodies to make sure there is nothing still in the room.

Taking 20 Spot 30
Search and listen 26

AlanBruce
2013-02-16, 02:26 AM
@Dantie: You check his belongings. The Royal Guard are certainly well equipped. This is what you find.

A bastard sword, of masterwork quality.

A mithral full plate

A composite longbow

You start searching the other bodies on their seats. as you go to check on one, this one turns to look at you. In fact, all of the bodies turn their faces at you and smile as all of them speak with one voice.

A female voice.

Welcome, Dantie! I do hope you had a pleasant trip here. Relax, take a seat. This ride is just beginning...

@The Party: A sudden shock makes all of you lose your balance as the entire machine shakes and rumbles.

The Dragon's Flight has been activated.

You hear the door you came in shut on its own accord and a tremendous jolt barely knocks you down, as the train begins gathering momentum. Within seconds, the Dragon's Flight, true to its name, soars on rails at an incredible speed through the underground that is Halmathan.

The bodies who were speaking to you laugh and you watch them collapse into a mass of leeches, which quickly stick to the walls of the train and the carpet.

Sliver
2013-02-16, 03:32 AM
Clover stands up and examines the leeches in disgust. "I think we should continue forward... Something must be driving this thing and it's probably friends with Cutter." Clover puts a hand on Dantie's shoulder and teleports with him to the next cart, before coming back and telepathically coordinating with Xander to teleport him as well.

dantiesilva
2013-02-16, 09:47 AM
Dantie places all the belongings he finds in the bag of holding to return to the head of the captain of the royal guard.

Bastard sword useless as I do not have the required feat. Armor though gives me +1 to my dex also takes alot away from AC because has no bonus. And Longbow. Well just not his style XD. Anything involving Dex +Str is a killer to him. Anyone else see a use for any of these items say so mentally and I will hand them over.

As Dantie begins searching the rest of the compartment he watches as all the bodies heads turn to face him. And then a females voice escapes. Why thank you for the welcome. I assume these are your creations, meaning you must be Dr. Cutters apprentice. A pleasure to meet you. But if I may ask how did you get his machine working? I heard only those who were trained years ago could make it work, and those that got trained would be old or dead. Dantie says at the moment being polite to the voice as the train machine starts moving extremely fast. Luckily Dantie was in the air otherwise he was sure he would have fallen over. Dantie then watches as he hears the door they came in seal shut and the bodies turn into leaches covering the cabin they are in. Xander Clover I hope you have a good idea and a lot of salt. Dantie says mentally knowing he has no real way to fight these creatures at this time as they are to small. He would suffer more damage then they would so he tries to retreat only to feel Clovers hand on him teleporting him back to the original room they started in. Quickly as she goes to get Xander he runs and slams the door shut.

NathanB1486
2013-02-16, 01:55 PM
Dantie, I can't check pyromancer's still, but my understanding is the both cars we have been in have dead bodies, more in the 2nd room than the first, Witch would mean both rooms are covered in leeches. Also, Clover posted she teleported both of us to the next room, unfortunately I am unsure if the next room would mean the 2nd only you entered, or the one after the one you killed that thing in, I suspect she took us both to a new room, since both we have been in might be full of leeches.

After safely being teleported out of the leech infested room by Clover, looks around the new cart.
As long as we stay in the air, and avoid the walls, we should be fine from most of the leeches...but remember I found some of their slime on the handle so they must have a way of getting air born...I unfortunately have no effective way of dealing with this many leeches...we should try getting to the front of the train and figure out witch of the many stations the train is currently traveling to.

Archmage1
2013-02-17, 01:21 PM
Tarith tries to resist the initial grapple
[roll0]

And, then on his turn, he tries to escape, making a run for the room.
[roll1]
[roll2](can still move)
[roll3]
[roll4](5 foot step)

and... Tarith sucks with dice.

AlanBruce
2013-02-17, 01:55 PM
@Tarith: The corrupted guard lays its hands on you clenches his fingers on your arms as the blade, now attached to what the guard used to have a face, rears back and gets ready to strike your own, in a glorious marriage of flesh and steel.

This wedding is sealed in blood. The guard slices into your shoulder and then revs the tentacle blade back as it prepares for a second strike.

@Dantie: The leeches splatter on the walls and floor. Even in this state, the pond worms lift their heads to see you as they wave around in a trance-like state.

Indeed they would have to be dead or very old. You are very perceptive, Dantie! Why not take a seat, enjoy the ride. They do say it is best to stay seated while the train is in motion. You could have a fall and that would be...unpleasant.

@Xander: Leeches. Used for curative purposes amongst people of a more archaic mentality. The hirudo medicinalis is found mostly in damp, wet environments, like lakes, streams and ponds. The creature is a carnivore, feeding on blood exclusively and usually undetected since it can coagulate the wound. It has been observed that particularly hardy creatures have had a leech stuck on their hides for days before the unwilling host swatted the vermin away. Of course, those are rare cases and leeches are an annoyance at best. But to see such an amalgamation of creatures in one place- and worse still, to see them taking on complex forms. That has natural tampering written all over it.

Then, you hark back to the early days at The University. An elective course you took with Silas, dealing with transmutation at a very basic level and natural shaping into weapons. The course touched the subject of leech walkers. A group of leeches that create a single mentality and coalesce into the form of of a humanoid, but only by design. t retains the basic mentality of a leech, and, like the vermin it is made of, it attempts to draw blood- albeit in larger quantities. Referred to as a vermin in school, it would appear the ones you saw in the cart were different, all sharing a same consciousness.

@Clover: You pull Dantie and Xander beyond the other cart, past the initial one you came in.

Like the two before you, this cart has the same make up: chairs placed one each side of the walkway and the carpet that runs through it. This cart, however, shows something else.

Windows begin to open from inside with a wet sound, allowing you to see the outside, which barely consists of flashing lights against a dark hallway. Wherever this train is going, it's going fast.

AlanBruce
2013-02-17, 03:28 PM
@Tarith: You break free from the guardian's grasp and take off towards the Music Room, with the monster making squelching sounds as it moves its bulk towards you.

It would seem you have once again eluded death in Cutter's Home. You check the wound left by the guard. Deep, but not lethal. Hopefully there aren't more of that particular batch.

Not wasting time, you place the completed piano roll in its place, causing Cutter's lullaby to fill the mansion with sounds other than growls and moans of pain. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hhJWMQMeuc)

As the tune fills the music room, low rumble discloses a a fifty foot long passage, barley wide enough for one man. At the end of the passage, stands a tall bust of the man you suspect to once have been Cutter. Below him, a golden shield, identical to the wooden one, has been neatly placed on the marble bust column, fitting perfectly into an indentation on the stone.

Archmage1
2013-02-17, 03:33 PM
Cutter is one sick individual. How could that thing have been an improvement on a living guard...

After examining the wound, Tarith drinks a potion to speed his recovery, before moving carefully to retrieve the shield.

(checking for traps.)
31 search

[roll0]

AlanBruce
2013-02-17, 03:41 PM
@Tarith: You check the entrance to the newly found hallway, but can find no immediate traps. Further search inside reveals that the golden shield acts as pressure plate for the corridor. It can be used if replaced with something of equal size.

Archmage1
2013-02-17, 03:42 PM
Tarith tries replacing it with the wooden shield.

AlanBruce
2013-02-17, 03:45 PM
@Tarith: You retrieve the golden shield and the low rumble from before locks you in, as the wall behind you seals the room.

You place wooden shield on the empty space and hear a machinery working through the walls as the wall that had trapped you rises again.

You now have the golden shield..but where to?

Archmage1
2013-02-17, 03:55 PM
Tarith carefully examines the golden shield, before starting out on a trip back to the main foyer, where the table of leeches resides.

[roll0] init

AlanBruce
2013-02-17, 04:46 PM
@Tarith: You leave the Music Room. Its secrets all solved, and head down the hallway to the Dining Room. The guard, quick to his feet, rushes you.

imp. grapple melee touch [roll0] grapple [roll1] blade damage [roll2]

Archmage1
2013-02-17, 05:09 PM
[roll0] counter grapple

Tarith withdraws, meaning to get to the grandfather clock

AlanBruce
2013-02-17, 05:28 PM
@Tarith: You once again dodge the guard's blade as you slide our of his grasp and shut the door behind you.

You turn to look at the room.

Still leech infested, but there's something else here.

A man sits at the main chair. He's eating from a plate while taking down some notes. The man is identical to the Cutter portraits. A young blonde girl sits next to him. Her back to you.

"Well, Andrea. So if we remove the prime element from it's current reshaped element we get a..."

"A Carrier Type I element, usable for multiple mutations and exceeded progress rate above forty percent, doctor!" The girl moves her head slightly in his direction.

The man takes down a few more notes.

"Very well, child. You are, no doubt, the finest mind in Halmathan."

For all their chatter, they seem to be ignoring you completely.

Archmage1
2013-02-17, 05:36 PM
As they are in the images...
Strange.
It would seem as though no time has passed for them, or I am hallucinating.
Either way... Not much point in dealing with it. Still, hallucinations are bad...

Tarith walks up to them
"Hello."
[roll0] will save

AlanBruce
2013-02-17, 05:47 PM
@Tarith: You walk up to the man and the little girl. As you walk up to them and greet them, Cutter looks at you.

"Hello, Reginald. You have something for me? One second, Andrea. I'll be right back."

Cutter addresses your general area, but clearly, it isn't you. The doctor gets up and walks towards you, disappearing in the process.

Clearly an illusion. Programmed no doubt to trigger.

That is until little Andrea turns her face to look at you and smiles. This smile is directed towards you. There is no mistaking that. She then puts her index finger to her mouth and makes a silent gesture to you. The girl takes something out of her pocket. Hard to see what is is, since she has it cupped in her hands. Andrea puts both her hands over Cutter's cup and opens them. You see a small splash and then Andrea gets back to her original position.

You see Cutter coming in from the right side and takes a seat.

"Sorry about that, Andrea...now, where were we."

Cutter takes a sip of his tea and coughs a little.

"Anything wrong, doctor?" Andrea turns her head to him.

"No. Nothing. I must be catching a cold. It's best if you go home now...we will resume our lessons tomorrow."

Both teacher and student leave the table and vanish.

Archmage1
2013-02-17, 05:52 PM
Tarith investigates the cup, curious to see what was dropped for him this time.

AlanBruce
2013-02-17, 05:55 PM
@Tarith: Something swims in that cup. It's small and blends in with the color of the tea. It seems to drag some tentacles.

Not too different to what you had, but smaller.

Archmage1
2013-02-17, 06:01 PM
Another of these foul things. Why would anyone place it. But... It was an illusion. Therefore, not real, but, as I have no ideas how to get that last key, I suppose I have no other option...
Tarith tries picking it up.

AlanBruce
2013-02-17, 06:06 PM
@Tarith: Having already asserted this to be a mere parlor trick, you pass your hand through the up, yet your hand goes by harmlessly. The illusory meeting disappears and you are left looking at the grandfather clock. All this running must've meant something. Now you are very close from getting that final key.

But how?

Archmage1
2013-02-17, 06:08 PM
Tarith heads over to the grandfather clock, seeing what time it is, and recalling what time it was when he saw it last.

AlanBruce
2013-02-17, 06:17 PM
@Tarith: Odd. You walk up to the clock and check the time. It says if you're reading this right that it's four thirty five. It could be in the morning, seeing as how it's dark outside. A thick glass panel protects the clock face. This one won't budge.

Archmage1
2013-02-17, 06:19 PM
Tarith checks to see if the carvings on the clock have changed since he was last here...

AlanBruce
2013-02-17, 06:26 PM
@Tarith: The clock seems to have moved its hands. Given the ticking sound the clock makes, it would appear it is in good working condition.

Archmage1
2013-02-17, 06:29 PM
Tarith is trying to figure out if the sword and dagger puzzle is linked to the clock, perhaps shifting with the time

Tarith tries opening up the clock, to see what he can do to manipulate the mechanism inside
33 disable device

AlanBruce
2013-02-17, 06:37 PM
@Tarith: You try and open the glass faceplate for the clock, but this one won't turn. It would seem, however, tat the clock's glass door would be opened remotely. Somewhere in the room, perhaps.

Archmage1
2013-02-17, 06:38 PM
Tarith, upon discovering this, searches the room, looking for whatever triggers the clock opening
31 search

AlanBruce
2013-02-17, 06:49 PM
@Tarith: You walk around the dining room, trying to make out where in this room should one tinker to solve this puzzle.

You walk ariund the table, staying clear of the larger leech accumulations. Your keen intuition has you stopping in front of the fireplace, looking at the area above it, where the wooden shield once stood.

Archmage1
2013-02-17, 06:50 PM
Perhaps... If the golden shield was retrieved by replacing it with the wooden one, perhaps something can be done here, with the golden one

Tarith places the golden shield there.

NathanB1486
2013-02-17, 07:10 PM
Leechwalkers...that would explain the residue on the handle...everyone be careful, I suspect those we left behind in the last two cars will pursue us, and attempt to drain our blood.
Xander checks through the cart, ensuring there is nothing waiting for them in here before checking if the next door is locked.(He doesn't open it.)
I suppose Dragon's Flight is a rather appropriate name for this machine, look at the speeds it is capable of, its truly amazing...Johann, was the trains max speed ever measured, do you also know what it normally runs at?

If there is no need to hurry, Xander takes 10.
Spot [roll0]
Listen [roll1]
Search [roll2]

AlanBruce
2013-02-17, 07:12 PM
@Tarith: You place the golden shield where the wooden one stood.

You hear a clicking soubd behind you and turn to see the glass panel has flung open. Walking to take a look at the clock's face, now without any barrier to stop you, it catches your attention as you look at the hour and minute hands.

The hour hands are shorter and have a rapier motif. The larger minute hand is in the shape of s dagger.

Archmage1
2013-02-17, 07:13 PM
Tarith tries maneuvering them so that the wooden carving, with the dagger and the rapier has them in the positions indicated by the writing.

AlanBruce
2013-02-17, 07:44 PM
@Tarith: You take a look at the hour and minute hands. Then, your attention goes to the painting beside it- the duelists. One hokding a rapier, the other a dagger.

@Xander: You walk towards the next cart and, before you reach it, your head gets some dust on it. Sinethibg is walking on the ceiling above you. You do recall the Dragon's Flight being twenty feet tall. These areas are ten feet tall.

So whatever is walking up there has access to a second floor and can make heavy footsteps. You contact Johann.

A fancy Flight, eh? I told yoy the gnomes were a clever bunch. When I was around at the helm, the Dragon coul reach speeds of two hundred miles an hour. Of course, that speed was only used when doing off city routes, to save time. Rarely did we go past the eighty mile mark.

You check the next door. Locked. You also see against the passing light, a purplish roubd griwth around the seats. Thousands if these minute growths.

Leech eggs, but none the way you have seen them.

Archmage1
2013-02-17, 07:51 PM
Tarith tries shifting the hands, trying to determine if they shift where the dagger and the rapier are. If they do, he tries to shift the dagger to be hitting the head, and the belly by the sword.

AlanBruce
2013-02-17, 08:55 PM
@Tarith: You move the clock hands following as closely the painting next to it.

As soon as you place the hands in the desired order, the clock begins chiming madly. As soon as the third twang from the clock has struck, the wooden grandfather clock slides five feet to the right. Inside, you find a small space with a single item in it.

A shield enblazoned key.

Archmage1
2013-02-17, 08:56 PM
Now, now I am getting somewhere
Delighted, Tarith takes the key, before heading towards the locked door near the main foyer

AlanBruce
2013-02-17, 09:20 PM
@Tarith: With one of the last keys in your possesion, you head through the first room foyer and place the key inside.

A perfect fit and now it's unlocked.

This room is a large rectangular room. A statue of a woman with three arms extends her arms upwards, holding an Oerth Globe. A drawer stabds behind the statue with three mirrors. The room turns into a fuce foot wide corridor leading to another door.

Shackles can be heard beyond this room.

Archmage1
2013-02-17, 09:26 PM
Tarith takes a good look around the room, rotating the mirrors so that each one reflects one of the arms(if possible.)
He also searches the drawer stabds, and takes a look down the fuce foot wide corridor, wondering how wide a fuce was.

[roll0] listen(more details on the shackles)

AlanBruce
2013-02-17, 09:38 PM
@Tarith: You walk towards the mirrors, but these don't rotate.

This piece of furniture looks like it was used not too long ago, for a woman to paint her face.

The shackles move around the next room. Heavy indeed.

Archmage1
2013-02-17, 09:40 PM
Tarith shifts the drawers, so that he could show the resulting image to whatever is on the other side of the door. He then looks more closely at the globe, trying to determine if there was some way to move it around.
Assuming that there is not, he then opens the door to the next room, planning on taking a brief look, and then closing the door.

AlanBruce
2013-02-17, 09:53 PM
@Tarith: You shift the drawers around and find something here. This looks like a mask, but unlike the masks you have been collecting, this one is loose, like some elastic material. The features are that of a woman, lacking eye sockets. The mask is uneven and flimsy in texture. An old ledger lies in the drawer.

It has been who knows how many days. Why haven't they come for me? The diviners in the palace and the Academy should have found me already. By the gods! When I am released, this madman and his little protege are going to be sent straight to the gallows. I swear this on my family's name!

I believe I have been here for a week. Maybe two. Why hasn't Callewyn kicked in the doors by now? Cutter has been putting some things in my body. Syringes. So many syringes. Andrea just sits by and takes notes, ignoring my cries for help. She approaches this in such a clinical way, it scares me such is the future of Halmathan's new generations. I have been sleeping less and less. I had a troop of sister's guards shoot me for an hour straight with arrows. Has she abandoned me? Betrayed me for this monster? And my wounds, they healed so fast...

Years pass. Face is no longer my own. Collecting faces. Must find my face..must find face.