View Full Version : Bhaakon's RotRL IC

Pages : [1] 2 3

Bhaakon
2013-02-22, 01:13 AM
It's finally the day of the annual Swallow Tail Festival--a celebration dedicated to Desna every autumnal equinox--and the opening ceremonies have drawn a sizable crowd in spite of the early hour. It's always a popular event, but the town is particularly keen on opening the newly complete Desnan cathedral at nightfall, a replacement for the old temple that burned to the ground five years past.

Mayor Deverin's friendly attitude and excitement prove contagious during her opening address, as she welcomes the many visitors to town (a surprising number by name) and pokes fun at a few of Sandpoint's more notorious residents (particularly old Lars Rovanky, who somehow managed to stagger out of bed in spite of whiskey breath that, as the Mayor observes wryly, aught to be kept away from open flames).

Sheriff Hemlock is his typically dour self, droning on about pickpockets, the dangers of over-indulgence (Larz laughs loudly at this while taking an exaggerated swig from a hip flask), and exactly how far the crowd should stand from the evening's bonfire to avoid a repeat of the unfortunate "full moon incident." Mercifully, his speech is cut short when talk of scorched rear ends remind him of the previous Desnan priest an his adopted daughter, who died in the temple fire five years ago, and he hastily calls for a moment of silence.

The next speaker is scheduled to be local nobleman Lonjiku Kaijitsu, but a sudden illness has prevented him from attending the ceremony (no surprise, as the old grouch is outspoken about his anti-crowd, anti-revelry, and general anti-other people positions).

Fortunately, Sandpoint's own showman Cyrdak Drokkus is more than up to the challenge of bringing the crowd's mood back. He somehow turns the dry tale of funding and building the new house of worship into a rousing epic of heroic carpenters, clever masons, and pious believers defeating a horde of tightfisted bureaucrats and red tape dragons. He finishes by inviting everyone to stop by the Sandpoint Theater the following evening to check out his new production of "The Harpy's Curse."

Finally, Father Zantus, the head Desnan cleric, steps up to give a short speech thanking everyone for coming and reminding them to return to the cathedral at the signal of his thunderstone for the consecration. The antsy crowd is quick to disperse, wandering the town to enjoy the free food, exotic merchant stalls, and many gaming booths set up in the streets.

Feel free to introduce your characters and investigate, gamble, pick pockets, or just look around. Once everyone has checked in and had their fill of mingling, I'll advance it to sundown and consecration ceremony

Halae
2013-02-22, 01:33 AM
Sitting against one of the nearby walls is a pair of figures that tend to be a common sight for warehouse workers. The smaller of the pair sits on a bench, a wide-brimmed hat shielding his sensitive red eyes from the sun - he's much better suited to seeing in the dark, but it earned him some measure of trust from the locals for him to be out in the daylight, rather than spending his life skulking in the darkness. Besides this, he's wearing an outfit befitting a librarian - some light robes.

The figure beside him is a good deal more imposing. Standing well over seven feet tall and with a proportional figure, Kurambis stays covered by a cloak. He less has a neck and head as he has a single massive mouth with a pair of eyes and a nose above it extending past his shoulders. Because of this, he always stands with a hunch.

Eli is a warehouse worker. Or, more accurately, he hires Kurambis out while he reads in another room.

"What's this festival for?" the eidolon asks.

"I told you, three times now, the goddess Desna. You'd do well to gain a little memory," Eli responds.

Kurambis grunts in response.

Cleavon
2013-02-22, 06:18 AM
Salek

Entering the crowded area comes a rather dour looking half-orc, his race evident by his height and his facial features, though he sports no tusks. His bald head looks as if it has seen too much sun and the mottled dark colorations there make him easy to spot.

He looks as if he brought anything and everything he might need with him to the city, all packed neatly on his back. He stays to the far end of the crowded area, knowing that he must be quite the sight. His armor stained with the waters of the Mushfens and his clothing fairly worse for wear. Luckily he has been traveling long days in the open sun and with his gear dried the smells they emit are quite reasonable, comparably.

Once the speeches are concluded, he rumbling stomach brings him to go find some food. Once sated, he makes sure to ask the first local looking person he sees if they can point him towards the Hagfish.

Bhaakon
2013-02-22, 07:13 AM
@Salek:

The first man you ask gives terse directions, then hurries off on his own business with a perfunctory wave. Fortunately, the man's rudeness was matched by his accuracy, and you soon find your way to the popular watering hole and gambling den.

The Hagfish's doors are wedged open, though the airing out does little to clear the place of the briny, fishy smell permeating its every timber. A crowd has already gathered to sample the place's legendary fish stew, which a large barmaid ladles out from a steaming pot near the entrance. It's a bit early for most folk to drink, however, so the barman makes himself busy wiping down the crockery in front of a cloudy, scummy fish tank. A fat pouch hangs high on the wall behind the bar, its weight threatening to rip its nail from the plaster.

stack
2013-02-22, 08:21 AM
Rath Shepard

Lorrie and Imoen drag Rath into the festivities, one on each hand, blonde curls bobbing as they giggle about making him dance with one of the village girls. They each had a handful of petty coins Aunt and Uncle had given them, a rare indulgence for the rare occasion. Rath forced a frown, in danger of being infected by their enthusiasm and, for a moment, not put off by the crowds. I suppose I ought go along. For their sakes.

His clothes where neatly laundered (Aunt and the girls insisted), though he still carried his musket slung over his shoulder (he felt naked without it), its weight comforting in the jumble of revelers.

He pauses, "What? Fine, I'll by you some sweets. Something chewy to stop this talk of dancing. No, if any boys get fresh with you, they'll dance over lead."

Cleavon
2013-02-22, 06:58 PM
Salek

Not put off in the slightest by the gruffness of the mans directions, he was simply to happy to find the Hagfish to care. He had been there before but it had been years. He didn't recognize the workers, but the beam above the bar, and the scummy fish tank all evoked memories of his last stay there as a younger man.

He took soup if offered and made sure to find an open seat inside the place to partake of it. He kept his eyes on that bag that hung above the bar, as well as that ever present beam. He could make out some of the carved names, squinting to see some of the ones that had been carved smaller as he ate.

Bhaakon
2013-02-22, 07:14 PM
@Salek

The names are still there, carved deeply in the low-hanging beam above the bar. You count 28 in all, a few more than the last time you were here, though the pouch of silver on the wall is as full as you've ever seen it.

The barman can't help but notice your stare, and reaches under the counter for a battered pewter tankard. He gives the relic a quick polish with his rag and sets it down with a smirk and a nod.

Rokku
2013-02-22, 11:37 PM
Rath is subsequently dragged directly into probably the only girl who wasn't thinking about dancng, sending her and her armful of books and papers spilling.

"Oh bloody hell, my paperwork!" yelps Alera as she hits the ground. She quickly recovers her spectacles from the dirt and wipes them clean, then dons them and begins tying her hair back in place before looking up.

"Oh," she says, and her scowl softens into a mere frown, "hello Shepards. One of you help me up? And help me save these ledgers from being trampled, please."

Cleavon
2013-02-23, 01:31 AM
Salek

He finished his fish stew, quite a tasty thing, but he knew he had room for more. A rather disgusting more as it might be told. He wasn't sure if he had the coin to enter the contest quite yet though. He pushed his empty bowl away and stood, walking over to put his hands on the bar. Leaning in he looked down at that old relic and then up at the bartender.

"Been a while since I've been here. I'm interested in getting my name up on that beam. Can you give me a run down of how I might make that happen?"

Bhaakon
2013-02-23, 02:11 AM
@Salek

"Oh, tis simple enough in the telling. Just put a silver up against this sack of coin that you can keep down a flagon of old Norah's tank water." The peg-legged barman hobbles back to tap on the tank as he speaks, drawing an annoyed flurry of motion from an eel-like shadow in the sludgy water. "But I have to warn you, boy. There's a hundred and more attempts for every name on the beam." He accentuates his point by depositing a bucket in front of you, "You're also responsible for the mess."

In plain English/crunch: You pay 1 sp and roll a Fort save vs poison to keep the goop from the tank down. Succeed, and you get the pouch full of silver. Fail, and you lose both money and dignity (well, you probably lose the dignity either way).

Cleavon
2013-02-23, 03:55 AM
Salek

He produced a silver piece, and slapped it down on the bar. While the man filled the tankard, he mentally prepared himself. He had been waiting for this for quite some time. It was his dream to win this. He had to do it. He steeled himself and gave his belly a gentle rub for luck.

Looking down at the filth in the mug he shrugged slightly.

"Looks like some of the stuff I had to drink while I was trapping in the Mushfens."

A little bluster to either build confidence, or make himself look a fool in front of the crowd. He took a deep breath and lifted the tankard once the Bar keep was ready for him to take his chance.

"This one's for me Ma! Down the hatch boys!"

With that, he slugged the vile liquid down his gullet with a mighty chug. He kept close to the bucket, just in case he failed in his quest and had to vomit.

Fort save!

BIG MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Base +4, +2 trait bonus Vs Poison!

[roll0]

Also, minus 1 SP.

Bhaakon
2013-02-23, 04:19 AM
@Salek

The wretched stench of Norah's tank water is nothing to a son of the mushfens, and even the horrid texture of the hagfish's excretions, akin to cold snot, proves only a minor impediment to quaffing the entire tankard in one go. But the salt, oh the salt! If only Sarek had realized that a fish pulled from the ocean would be wallowing about in seawater, he could have steeled his stomach against such an assault.

Jargie, the one-legged barkeep, recognizes the twitching lips and shuddering gullet from long experience, and he shoves the bucket in Sarek's face just as the Half-Orc's gorge bursts forth.

"Bwahaha! Another silver in the pot then!" He roars, as he comes out from behind the bar to slap the heaving ranger on the back. "Only one attempt a day, I'm afraid, but have something to wash the muck from your tongue, on the house."

Zefir
2013-02-23, 05:22 AM
Tequin

Tequin arrived just in time to hear the introducing speeches. The long journey changed the appearance of the young man. His skin is tanned by the sun and a few wrinkles can be seen in his face. His whole body is covered with a small layer of dust. It seems like a hard walk.

Before Tequin goes on to get something from the free meal, he falls on his knees.

"Thank you, oh Desna. I knew you wouldn't leave your servant.", then he starts mumbling a few prayers before standing up.

stack
2013-02-23, 12:53 PM
Rath's eyes go wide as he spots the impeding collision, too late to avert it. He mumbles a hello to Alera as he quickly bends down to help pick up the scattered books, shooting his sisters a glare as they giggle. Perhaps it wasn't so accidental...but they can be so careless. "Sorry about that. Think that's all. Should be alright." Blasted festival.

Bhaakon
2013-02-23, 02:37 PM
In the spirit of good times (if not precisely a religious festival) the food and ale flow freely throughout the day, creating a free-wheeling atmosphere that the more sober merchants and gamesmen are more than happy to take advantage of. As sunset approaches, the overstuffed, tipsy, and well-fleeced crowd finally tears itself away from the taverns, shops, and carnival game to stake out a good view of the consecration ceremony.

Through foresight, pious patience, or shear dumb luck, you've managed to arrive early and secure a prime spot near the dais when Father Zantus emerges to set off his thunderstone.

The stone emits a sharp retort, like the crack of distant thunder, slices through the excited crowd as the sun's setting rays paint the western sky. A stray dog that has crawled under a nearby wagon to sleep starts awake, and the buzz of two dozen conversations quickly hushes as all heads turn toward the central podium, where a beaming Father Zantus has taken the stage.

He clears his throat, takes a breath to speak, and suddenly a woman's scream slices through the air. A few moments later, another scream rises, then another. Beyond them, a sudden surge of strange new voices rises high pitched, tittering shrieks that sound not quite human.

The crowd parts and something low to the ground races by, giggling with disturbing glee as the stray dog gives a pained yelp and then collapses with a gurgle, its throat cut open from ear to ear. As blood pools around its head, the raucous sound of a strange song begins, chanted from shrill, scratchy voices:

Goblins chew and goblins bite,
Goblins cut and goblins fight,
Stab the dog and cut the horse,
Goblins eat and take by force!

Goblins race and goblins jump,
Goblins slash and goblins bump,
Burn the skin and mash the head,
Goblins here and you be dead!

Chase the baby, catch the pup,
Bonk the head to shut it up!
Bones be cracked, flesh be stewed,
We the goblins—you the food!

The hackneyed verses quickly becomes a round as more voices join in from all around town. The effect on the crowd is immediate, as they drain out of the square with a reckless haste that threatens to turn into a stampede. Father Zantus makes a vain effort to calm the crowd, but quickly gives up and leaps from the platform to tend to those injured in the crush of bodies.

The chaos has one benefit, though. The sudden flight leaves an open patch of ground between you and the nearest trio of goblins. Fortunately, two of them are far too busy stuffing their over-sized, snaggle-toothed maws full of carnival food from a nearby wagon to bother fighting, while the third celebrates its victory over the stray dog with a gleeful jig.

Map & directions
The goblins won initiative, but they're not particularly interested in you at the moment, so everyone is up. Normally I give you 24 hours to post, but since it's Sunday, I'll give you 36.

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee498/Bhaakon/swallowtailRd1.jpg

Your location is marked by your character's initials. Leapoing on the wagon or speaking platform is a DC 5 climb check.

Halae
2013-02-23, 04:33 PM
A look of intensity crosses onto the half-drow's face as he looks at the goblins. Wonderful. Simply wonderful.

"Kurambis!"

Kurambis lets out a roar and charges forward, attempting to apply his massive jaws to one of the small creatures.

So, I'm moving third (not including the actions the goblins take). Unless they choose to move, the two that Kurambis has a clear line of charging to are G2 and G3. If either one is left open and alive when my turn rolls around, Kurambis will attempt to charge up and nom him.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Rokku
2013-02-23, 05:07 PM
"Everyone get indoors," shouts Alera, "clear the streets!"

Seeing the three goblins nicely gathered and innatentive, she thrusts her magic at them, working bonds of enchanted slumber.

Sleep DC 15 Will, centered on D2. Hits all 3 goblins!

Bhaakon
2013-02-23, 06:02 PM
The gorging goblin fall easy prey to Alera's spell, collapsing face-first into a tray of sweet meats with a cacophony of snores. The dog-slayer stubbornly continues his jig even as his bulbous head lolls back in exhaustion. Somehow it manages to stay on its feet for a few moments of sleep-dancing before falling in a heap. Karumbis charges in to savage the sleeping goblins, quickly dispatching all three.

Sleep, the bane of goblins everywhere. No need to roll out the coup de grace (graces?) for the goblins, they'd die outright from the auto-crit.

The immediate danger is passed, but the town remains in chaos. Smoke billows from a dozen buildings, and short, wickedly grinning figures dart among the fleeing crowd. You see goblins running along rooflines, leaping to land on the people below (as often as not crunching into the pavement), while others seem more interested in looting anything edible or shiny than harassing the townsfolk.

Your moment of observation is interrupted with a "whumf" as a cart loaded down with oiled logs for the festival bonfire goes up in flames. Four more goblins scramble out from behind the fire and into the square, three males wielding flaming brands and a female belting out the goblins' song in a cracking soprano.

Map
I'll add the map shortly.

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee498/Bhaakon/swallowtailRD2.jpg

Everyone is up, 33 hours

Halae
2013-02-23, 06:36 PM
Kurambis will, very loudly, start eating the goblins. It's a quick death for each - biting off their heads. He's a good person, even if he's savage, and he sees no reason to end their lives slowly. The gush of the brains between his teeth is probably pretty horrifying to onlookers, and it only gets worse as he continues to eat the goblins whole, spindly little arms first, then the legs, and then he cleans up the torso. His strong jaw is even enough to crack through bone, so there should b nothing left but the equipment he tore off their bodies before devouring them.

Eli, meanwhile, is looking a bit pale and sick. His mind-link to Kurambis is normally a boon. And then you get stuff like this.

While the eidolon is enjoying a hearty meal, Eli reacts to the sounds of more danger. He'll move quickly, but he'll still be out of range for the spell he wishes to cast.

Moving to G-9, but not any closer. Delaying the rest of my turn (I have a standard action and swift action left) just in case I become capable of doing something.

Cleavon
2013-02-23, 07:52 PM
Salek

As he watched the rabble of goblins flow about the city his hand filled with the hilt of his battle Axe. He turned to rush at the goblins, but as they fell asleep, and then were subsequently devoured by a strange hulk of a creature, he turned to look for any others that may come his way.

"Well. Come to drink the scummy water and end up with an invasion of ankle biters. My day could get better. At least there seems to be some useful folk among the crowd..."

He turned quick as he heard more goblins crashing about the square. Seeing the firey brands they wielded he gave a bright grin. Stalking towards the small creatures he hefted his axe, patting the flat of the blade against his open hand as he moved.

"HEY! Halfpint! Bring your fire here and see where it gets you!"

Move!

First round, drew his axe and watched Kurambis eat goblins.

Second round, double move towards the goblins, ending at H12.

Rokku
2013-02-23, 08:01 PM
"Keep it up boys," says Alera, "I can keep putting them on their backs for you."

With that Alera turns and beckons the new group of goblins to enjoy a nap.

Sleep again, centered on N15. Still Will DC 15.

Bhaakon
2013-02-23, 08:15 PM
Alera's spell proves just as effective the second time around, quickly sending the three torch-waving goblins to dreamland. Only the singing female remains on her feet.

still your turn, just updating with potentially turn-altering info. The female is GB (Goblin Bard) on the map.

stack
2013-02-23, 10:17 PM
At the first sounds of the disturbance, Rath shoves his sisters behind him while unslinging his musket. Practiced hands quickly load powder and ball, the pan primed and flint cocked just as the first set of goblins fell asleep. Directing the girls to a nearby building for safety, he starts forward as the second group mostly drops to the ground. "Good work Alera. Guess there's something in all those books."

He darts forward, bringing stock to shoulder as his cloak snaps behind him. A flash and a crack herald the lead ball hurtling to the remaining goblin.
first round, draw and load.

Second, move to I-10, attack GB, 45' so second range increment, burn 1 grit to make it a touch attack at -2

[roll0] vs touch (+5 - 2 fpr range)
damage [roll1] (

Zefir
2013-02-24, 04:40 AM
((Seems like the musket will end fight 2 ))

After the thunder stone cracked though the air Tequin focused on Father Zantus. It need quiet a while to realize the goblins showing off. As he noticed it he falls on his knees again.

"Oh Desna. You honour me with your trust. I will do my best to..."

At this moment the first Goblins fall asleep and become food for the Eidolon. Tequin should really wait for his prayer.

".. help these people save the day." he ends quickly.

He holds up his shield with the symbol of Desna.

"May Desna guide my way to save her day."

First Round:
Drawing shield and Weapon
Second Round
Moving to L 11
Casting Guidance on myself

Bhaakon
2013-02-24, 10:45 AM
Rath's shot ricochets at the singing goblin's feet, spurring her to action. She yanks a shortbow from her shoulder and steps forward, delivering a viscious kick to a sleeping comrad's head in the process. The awakened goblin pays the pain forward while struggling to its feet, slugging the next sleeper awake, who in turn slaps the final goblin from his magical nap. Almost as quickly as Alera put them down, all three goblins are back in the fight.

Map, etc.
Am I missing something? Waking someone up is a standard action, but being woken up is no action at all. It's kind of a cheap exploit of group initiative to chain it like this, but I don't want the fight to be too easy (and they're still unarmed, having dropped their torches when they fell asleep).

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee498/Bhaakon/swallowtailrd3.jpg

Everyone is up

stack
2013-02-24, 05:08 PM
Rath curses his low shot, reloading without breaking stride toward the steps to get a better vantage point. Powder horn tips, ball drops, rod back in place beneath the barrel in perfect economy of motion. Pan primed and flint cocked, he shoulders his weapon and looks for a better shot.

better that 14 touch AC? Bugger.

move to 0-10, standard to reload (rapid reload, 2-handed weapon)
Didn't want to burn an alchemical cartridge on them just yet, get a good shot next round)

Cleavon
2013-02-24, 08:17 PM
Salek

As the goblins fell into that deep slumber he grimaced. Perhaps this wouldn't be so interesting after all. It was only once the remaining goblin roused her fellows that the grin appeared once again on Saleks features and he menacingly advanced on the smaller creatures.

"Wakey-Wakey boys!"

He moved in quickly and his axe chops down at the closest goblin.

Actions!

Move to L14 and make one attack at G1.

Attack!
[roll0]

Damage!
[roll1]

Possible Crit?
[roll2]

Bonus Damage!
[roll3]

Zefir
2013-02-25, 02:25 AM
Tequin looks a confused as the Wakey-Wakey Half-Orc pass by. At least he can assume that the orc is on his side.

With a short look backwards he notice that the others prepare for another ranged attack. It's best if he doesn't block the line.

Move: Moving to N-13
Standard: Attacking Goblin G2
Attack:[roll0](Critical range 20)
PosCrt:[roll1]
Damage:[roll2]
Crt Dmg:[roll3](*3 Bonus)

Rokku
2013-02-26, 12:01 AM
Frustrated to see her enchantment so quickly undone, Alera closes on the goblins and tries a simple dazing spell.

Move to I11, Daze at G1 DC 14 Will.

Bhaakon
2013-02-26, 06:28 AM
Begin rd 4

Eli closes on the goblins, finally bringing them in reach of his magic. A few practiced gestures and utterances summons a pool of grease bubbling up from under the little fiends' feet. One of the creatures is nimble enough to keep his footing, but the other wallows about for a moment before falling flat on its rear. It's all the downed goblin can do to crawl its way out of the viscous goop.

Seeing then goblin's precarious footing, Salek springs to attack with a powerful overhand chop... that misses completely when his target exploits the greased earth to unexpectedly slip aside. Fortunately for the half orc, Alera quickly dazes the monster before it can unsheath its dog cutter and respond.

Across the burning cart, Tequin's charge proves much more effective, punching his starknife right through the still-groggy goblin's gut.

The woefully off-key female strains her verses even further by working some magic into the performance. She nimbly steps over her fallen comrade while drawing a dog cutter and tags Tequin on the shoulder, releasing the spell.

@Tequin
DC 12 will save or suffer effects of hideous laughter (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/h/hideous-laughter) for 1 round

Kurambis, his gruesome meal finished, sprints around the speaking platform to join the fun, while Rath clambors up the ernty stairs of the new cathedral and loads his musket.

Map
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee498/Bhaakon/swalltailrd4.jpg

black = greased area
purple = prone

Cleavon
2013-02-26, 07:03 AM
Salek

"Not this time little whelp!"

His axe slashing down at the greasy little goblin.

Attack!

Attack at G1 with my trusty Battleaxe.

Attack!
[roll0]

Damage!
[roll1]

Possible Crit?
[roll2]

Additional Damage!
[roll3]

stack
2013-02-26, 08:11 AM
Rath slowly let's out his breath as he takes aim, careful to avoid his apparent ally engaged with the maliciously melodic goblin. If I miss from this range, I should hang up my gun and take up baking.

Flint strikes pan, send a flare up; fire and smoke belch forth from the barrel, speeding death on it's way.

standard attack GB (inside 30' so PBS applies (+1/+1)
[roll0] vs touch, precise shot so no penalty for shooting into melee
damage[roll1]

Only clipping his foe, he curses and pulls out a precious cartridge load to ready his follow-up shot.
move to load w/ alchemical cartridge, +1 misfire

Halae
2013-02-26, 05:44 PM
Eli and Kurambis

Kurambis, following his master's orders through their mental bond, will charge the goblin bard - it's a spellcaster. It needs to be taken down quickly.

Eli doesn't make a move yet. He could throw a cantrip or two, but there's too many people in the way to do much.

Rokku
2013-02-26, 06:51 PM
Felling the normal goblins are well in hand, Alera turns her attention to the bard.

"Oh shut UP!" she cries, stepping up behind Eli and loosing her dazing spell at the caterwauling thing.

Move to K11, Daze at GB, Will DC14.

Zefir
2013-02-27, 02:46 AM
As the Goblin Bard points at him a smile appears on Tequins face, but as fast as it appeared it was gone. Tequin shakes his head a little confused about this.

"Whatever you tried, you failed."

Using his Starknive once again.

Attack:[roll0]
Damage:[roll1]
If Critical[roll2]
Then additional Damage[roll3]

Bhaakon
2013-02-27, 03:03 AM
Begin round 5

Rath's shot grazes the female goblin, drawing a bright line of blood but doing little real damage. The same can't be said for Karumbis's maw, which cleaves a sizable chunk of flesh from the bard's shoulder. She shrieks in pain, shaking off Alera's cantrip and jumping out of the reach of Tequin's reach so that she can heal herself. The spell staunches the bleeding, but she's still badly wounded, and her raucous singing has stopped.

Across the puddle of grease, another goblin backpeddles in place in a vain attempt to avoid Salek's second swing. His axe cleaves through the hapless creature's over-sized cranium, reducing the number of opponents by one.

The third goblin, now clear of the grease, regains his footing, draws his blade, and gleefully steps forward to enter the melee.

map
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee498/Bhaakon/swallowtailrd4.jpg

black = grease

Halae
2013-02-27, 03:34 AM
Moving further on his master's orders, Kurambis chases after his singing/shrieking meal.

Kurambis moves to P 13 to try and eat the goblin bard. Again. He doesn't move through any threatened spaces, so he's not provoking AoOs.

Aww. That would have been max damage, too.

Rokku
2013-02-27, 04:15 AM
Seeing as the singing goblin has shut her craw, Alera directs her magic at the other remaining goblin. Hopefully, she can keep him dazed and from hurting anybody.

Daze vs G3, DC 14 Will.

Zefir
2013-02-27, 04:34 AM
Seeing that the strange big guy and the gunslinger deal with the Goblin Bard and his own attack miss, Tequin decides to leave it to them.

He takes a short look around. The half orc with the axe is behind the cart, the others are out of range, expect the Not woman:smallwink: who does nothing? Not many options.

"Come on! Do something." he shouts at the (drow) woman man as he goes for an attack against the goblin G3.

Attack:[roll0]
Damage:[roll1]
Crit Confirm[roll2]
Crit Damage:[roll3]

Cleavon
2013-02-27, 07:15 AM
Salek

Seeing the goblin fall, and another fleeing from the greasy spot made on the ground he quickly dashed around the grease and up to the two remaining goblins, his battleaxe held high.

"Where yah think you're goin'!?!?!"

Actions!

Move around the grease to O15.

One attack at G3.

Attack!
[roll0]

Damage!
[roll1]

Possible Crit?
[roll2]

Bonus Damage!
[roll3]

stack
2013-02-27, 08:34 AM
Blasted...PEOPLE...ruining my shot. Bother. Rath grimaces, lowering his barrel as he circles around for a better angle.

A clear angle found, he snaps of another round, the cloud of smoke wafting away to join the others in filling the air with the acrid scent of black powder.

move so about S-13 so that the bard doesn't get soft cover
attack (w/ PBS) [roll0]
damage [roll1]
misfire on 3 or less

"...." Rath fails to curse in a demonstrative fashion as his musket jams.

Bhaakon
2013-02-27, 07:56 PM
Begin Round 6

The male goblin grabs his head and shakes it violently in a failed attempt to clear his senses of Alera's spell. Salek and Tequin jump in to attack the dazed goblin, but it has enough wits about it to sidestep axe and starknife.

Karumbis's dark form towers over the little female goblin, but the spunky bard seems more angry than intimidated as the eidolon bends over to feast. Instead of a mouthful of flesh, the goblin jams her dogslicer into Karumbis's maw, forcing the eidolon upright as is spits out whatever strange ichor passes for its blood.

@Karumbis
2 damage

Rath pulls the trigger back, the hammer swings down, and... nothing. It should only take a few second to clear and reset the simple mechanism, but those are seconds the others might not have.

map:
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee498/Bhaakon/swallowtail6.jpg

Sorry about the clunky coloring, but the map from the PDF is only 1 square wider than the cropped version I was using. In case it isn't clear

grey = building/unpassable
brown = normal ground

Rokku
2013-02-28, 12:19 AM
Alera rolls her eyes and flings her daze spell at the goblin yet again.

"I can't do this all by myself, boys!"

You know what goes here.

Cleavon
2013-02-28, 01:20 AM
Salek

His axe swinging wide of the slippery little goblin, he brings it back around and attempts to connect with his next swing. Such annoying little creatures.

Attack!

One attack on G3.

Attack!
[roll0]

Damage!
[roll1]

Possible Crit?
[roll2]

Bonus Damage!
[roll3]

Halae
2013-02-28, 01:48 AM
Eli and Kurambis

Kurambis lets out a howl of pain before attempting to strike once more, biting again. Whether successful or not, however, the eidolon takes a step back, away from the bard as it clutches at its now bleeding tongue, blackish ooze seeping out

Eli, however, is the reason Kurambis backed up, as a glob of acid suddenly comes flying towards the goblin's face. "This is such a terrible spell."

Kurambis makes a bite attack, then makes a 5-foot step backwards so Eli can use acid splash on it.

Kurambis:

Eli:
Attack: [roll2] vs Touch
Damage: [roll3]

Goddamn terrible.

Zefir
2013-02-28, 05:27 AM
Tequin notice that they outnumber the Goblins. He is no tactical mastermind, but at least there are more options available.

"Get over there!" he shouts at the big guy ( Kurambis ) trying to brin it in flanking position with the half orc (Q13)

Then he moves himself to get a better position against the goblin.

Speaking as a Free Action ( 3 Words):smallwink:
5-foot-step to O13
Attacking G3 (if still alive)
Attack[roll0]
Damage[roll1]
Crit Confirm[roll2]
Crit Damage[roll3]

stack
2013-02-28, 08:04 AM
Rath methodically clears his musket, figuring that this will soon be over.
standard to clear (quick clear deed, not burning any grit), no move (rather not load alchemical if the fight will be over)

Bhaakon
2013-02-28, 06:19 PM
Round 7, start!

Tequin stabs at the goblin and misses again, but manages to distract the thing long enough for Salek to circle around and deliver an axe blow its spine. The goblin goes limp with a gagging whimper, no longer a threat.

The increasingly desperate female tries to respond by hamstringing the ranger, but her dogslicer does little more than crease the boiled leather of Salek's armor.

Map
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee498/Bhaakon/swallowtail7.jpg

Cleavon
2013-02-28, 06:26 PM
Salek

Seeing the goblin fall before him he turned just as he felt the graze of that dogslicer as it ran line into his armor. He pulled his axe from the back of the female goblins companion and quickly brought it to bear against her as he stepped forward. He swung down at her head, bringing all his might into the blow.

Actions!

Five foot step to P15, into a flanking position with Kurambis.

One Attack on GB. Power attack active.

Attack!
[roll0]

Damage!
[roll1]

Possible Crit?
[roll2]

Bonus Damage!
[roll3]

Rokku
2013-02-28, 09:31 PM
Alera continues to fling Dazes at the goblin bard, hoping one sticks.

Zefir
2013-03-01, 07:36 AM
Well that doesn't go so well. He missed the Goblin, even thought he did quiet well.

The Goblin bard prooved to be stronger, so Tequin sees no real chance for him to land a hit. He takes a step back and casts a spell on the big gy next to him.

Move to O12
Cast Guidiance on Kurambis

stack
2013-03-01, 08:02 AM
Rath calmly reloads, dosing the barrel from one of the numerous powder horns hanging off him.

standard action reload w/ normal round

Halae
2013-03-01, 06:48 PM
Kurambis moves to the side to make sure he has a better position to attack the bard from, using Salek's positioning to his advantage. he's not particularly intelligent enough to realize this himself, but Eli is instructing him in what to do over their mental link.

With the new positioning, and a bit of divine guidance, Kurambis tries again!

And apparently divine guidance and proper position accounts for a whole goddamn lot

Bhaakon
2013-03-01, 07:28 PM
Surrounded, the little goblin's luck finally runs out. Karumbis slaps aside her defensing dogslicer and clamps down on her head. A brutal shake of the eidolon's jaws ends the fight with a wet snap of goblin vertebrae.

The chaos around you has calmed a bit as well. Smoke still snakes into the sky from fire around town, but the streets have largely emptied of people. A few blocks away a lone goblin harries a bucket brigade formed to fight the fires, but a pair of town guards are already sprinting to the scene. The sound of steel on steel still echos through the streets, but there are no skirmishes close enough to pick out.

Father Zanthus wanders among the fallen in the square, tending to the injured--mostly trampled in the initial panic, but at least one body lies very still with a goblin blade in its back. Seeing your battle concluded, he rushes forward to offer aide, "Are any of you hurt? I fear there's more fighting yet to be done, and I'd not see you enter battle already bloodied."

Halae
2013-03-01, 07:40 PM
Eli steps forward and Kurambis opens his mouth for the summoner to look at the eidolon's wound, "Kurambis was hit in the tongue with one of those little weapons, but he's tough, and he'll live," the Eidolon nods, closing his mouth once more.

"The rest of us are fine, if concerned. How'd they get so deep into town? Are there any left? They need to be handled before they become more of a problem."

Bhaakon
2013-03-01, 07:57 PM
Zanthus looks at the monstrous Karumbis and shudders, "I'll save my spells for the truly needy, then."

"As for the goblins, you know as much as I do. They just appeared all over the town. You've finished off the ones in the square, but it sounds like the battle still rages elsewhere." As if to punctuate the Priest's words, the sound of clashing steel erupts from the north, accompanied by a madly barking dog and cursing in the goblin tongue (at least it sounds like cursing). You can't see the battle from where you are, but it must be close.

Rokku
2013-03-01, 09:13 PM
"I'm fine father, they didn't touch--" begins Alera, then she's interrupted by a wave of nausea and her lunch deciding it no longer wanted to be inside her.

"I'm sorry," she says, wiping her mouth, "I've just never... the blood and the gore and the violence. I-- I've never seen anything like this before."

Halae
2013-03-01, 09:19 PM
Eli moves over to her and will try to help her up, "It would have been worse if we hadn't dealt with it, but we need you on your feet to keep going. The raid isn't over yet."

Bhaakon
2013-03-01, 10:14 PM
"I've never gotten used to the sight of blood myself, but we must persevere, my lady." Responds the Cleric. "For better or worse, Desna offers no blessings to harden the heart against such things."

Cleavon
2013-03-01, 10:51 PM
Salek

As Kurambis finishes the annoying goblin and finally ends it's existence, he hoists his bloodied battleaxe to rest over his shoulder. He watches the cleric as he tends to the wounded, a hand sliding over the crease made in his armor to make sure that nothing got through.

Shaking his head at the offer of help, he turned to the north and brought his axe around to point in the direction they heard the commotion.

"Blood and worse never bothered me. Any who are goin' we best be goin'. No sense letting those little buggers slice up any more of these innocent folk."

Rokku
2013-03-02, 03:55 AM
Alera groans and rubs her eyes, but nods.

"You're right, if we can stop this, we have to do it as quickly as possible. Lets go."

Zefir
2013-03-02, 04:08 AM
Tequin takes a deep breath as he notice that this fight is over. At least there is a moment to rest.

As father Zantu comes close to them he greeds him, bowing in respect of the churches leader.

"Don't worry father. Desna has send me here and it seems she wanted me to help these people."

Tequin then looks up at the north.

"The half-orc speaks true. We can't rest unless those who belive in Desna re in danger."

stack
2013-03-02, 04:38 PM
Rath checks his prime calmly, not letting the rush of adrenaline or the flush of embarrassment color his face. "Goblins. Always trouble. Let's get the rest." Suppose not everyone has seen much blood. Though a stag rarely draws a knife on you. Cackling maniacs, have to put them down fast before they do more harm.

He darts off to check on his sisters before going with the others (if willing) on a sweep of the village, musket ready.

Bhaakon
2013-03-02, 08:57 PM
You rush off north towards the sound of shrieking goblins and viscous barking, making good time as the streets are cleared of all but debris and the occasional body (mostly goblins, but twice you come across citizen of Sandpoint past saving).

Near the town's north gate you find the source of the fracas: a small group of goblins cowering against the town wall as their leader, mounted on a hideous, hairless rodent-thing called a goblin dog, faces off against a large boar-hound. Utterly focused on the showdown between their champion and the dog, the goblins are oblivious to your approach.

Unfortunately, the well-heeled fop quailing behind a nearby rain barrel is not. He stands up quickly, flushing with embarrassment to be seen hiding, and shouts, "Dear sirs and madam! I seem to have stumbled into a touch of trouble here, would you kindly lend your aid!"

The goblins remain oblivious to his call, but the hound, sadly, is not. It turns towards its master's voice, exposing its neck to the mounted goblin's horsechopper. An exuberant cry goes up among the filthy creatures as their champion lops off the dog's head.

Map
Surprise round! You can take either a move or a standard action (plus a swift and free actions, of course). I assume that you've all got your weapons drawn and loaded, so no need to worry about that. Everyone is up.

As Rath, Eli, and Karumbis beat the goblins' initiative, they can take their first full round in addition to their surprise round.

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee498/Bhaakon/diedogrd1.jpg

Rokku
2013-03-02, 10:21 PM
"Take a nap, awful little things," whispers Alera, casting bonds of sleep over the three clustered goblins.

Sleep hits the 3 Gs, Will DC 15.

Halae
2013-03-02, 10:40 PM
To say that kurambis is enthusiastic in his charge would be to understate things greatly.

IT'S MEAL TIME.

He charges the leader, biting and gnashing as he goes.
Charge attack!: [roll0]
Charge Damage!: [roll1]

Regular attack!: [roll2]
Regular Damage!: [roll3]

Cleavon
2013-03-03, 01:12 AM
Salek

Seeing the events unfolding before him Salek moves in forward with purpose, his battleaxe held defensively before him.

Move!

Move to I6.

stack
2013-03-03, 01:38 PM
Rath steps forward, snapping his musket up, sighting on the leader.Best drop the leader, then fix the beast. He breathes out slowly. A flash and crack signal his satisfaction at the target's presentation.

Rath goes first, so 5' step C8 puts the leader in the first range increment but outside PBS

attack [roll0]
damage [roll1]

Zefir
2013-03-03, 01:40 PM
Tequin looks at the scene with a worried expression. The goblin on the mount looks very dangerouse. He grabs his holy symbol and holds it up, mumbeling a few words. At least he tries to avoid attention until the fight began.

Cast: Bless.

stack
2013-03-03, 05:29 PM
Rath rams a cartridge load down the barrel with practiced speed, snapping off a follow-up shot as he steps closer.

5' to D8
If the leader is still up, he's the target, if not, then the goblin dog. Should still be flatfooted.
[roll0]
[roll1]

this presumes a clear shot. If they have soft cover from the melee, then he loads with a standard action and moves to I9

Bhaakon
2013-03-03, 06:09 PM
Rath snaps off a shot before anyone can react, catching the mounted goblin squarely in the shoulder. It squeals like a stuck pig, a sound mercifully cut short as Karumbis's jaws slam shut like a bear trap over its head. The eidolon turns it attention to the flea-bitten goblin dog as it's decapitated rider slips from the saddle, cleanly snapping the filthy mount's neck with another bite.

With the nearest targets quickly dispatched, Salek and Rath calmly advance, the later reloading his musket as he stalks forward.

Two of the surviving goblins fall to the ground, snoring loudly under the influence of Alera's sleep spell. The third stands gap-mouthed for a second, it's mind struggling to catch up with the sudden turn of events. Eventually it snaps out of its stupor and charges Karumbis, but even the goblin's full weight can't drive its blade through the eidolon's tough hide.

map
Hmm, something tells me this won't be a long fight. Everyone is up.

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee498/Bhaakon/diedogrd2.jpg

orange = sleeping

Halae
2013-03-03, 06:14 PM
Kurambis doesn't wait for any orders this time, or even wait to give anybody a chance to react before him (though Rath could, if he so chose) as he bends over to have another snack.

But, it appears that not waiting for orders is a terrible idea.

Rokku
2013-03-03, 07:51 PM
Alera flings strands of enchantment at the remaining goblin, suggesting that stand there and watch the pretty pretty lights.

Move to H6, Daze on G2, DC 14 Will.

Cleavon
2013-03-03, 09:07 PM
Salek

Seeing two goblins fall to the enchantments, he stepped up beside Kurambis and his axe came down at the goblin in front of the eidolon.

Actions!

5 Foot step to J7.

One attack at G2.

Attack!
[roll0]

Damage!
[roll1]

stack
2013-03-03, 10:38 PM
Rath steps to the side, leveling his musket again. Finally, I was beginning to think I lost my touch. If I can't shoot straight we'll starve.

5' to J10
[roll0]
damage [roll1]

Bhaakon
2013-03-03, 11:22 PM
The goblins easily spins away from Salek's clumsy swing, turning the dodge into a little mocking dance which carries him right into Rath's sights. Not much of the goblin's head is left after the cloud of powder smoke clears, just a mandible clinging crookedly to the ragged remains of a neck and a cone of chunky crimson spatter on the paving stones.

With no allies to wake them, Karumbis is free to dispose of the still-napping goblins at its leisure.

With the immediate threat passed, the well-heeled fop emerges from his shelter behind the rain barrel. "Most impressive, all of you! Truly Aldern Foxglove owes each of you a boon, particularly you, madam," he favors Alera with an exaggerated bow. "Such spellcraft under duress, and from one so young. Yours must be a rare talent indeed."

But now is not a time for lengthy discourse. Please, join me later at the Rusty Dragon for a proper reward and some... pleasant diversion. A sweeping gesture seems to extend the offer to everyone, though he doesn't break his gaze from Alera. "When this unpleasantness has subsided."

xp and loot
201xp each

1 potion (unidentified)
1 MW horsechopper (small)
1 shortbow (small)
20 arrows
4 dogslicers (small)
1 suit studded leather (small)

Rokku
2013-03-04, 02:27 AM
The nobleman's flattery somehow manages to cut through Alera's violence-induced nausea and she finds herself blushing furiously.

"Um, of course. Uh. Mister Foglove, uh, sir."

She's suddenly very preoccupied with smoothing her dress and straightning her hair.

Zefir
2013-03-04, 02:38 AM
Tquin takes a long breath after the fight is over. He was happy that he didn't need to use his knife here again. Fighting is something that neeeds to be done. He will fall on his knees holding the holy symbol in front of him and speak a few short prayer to Desna for her blessing.

Cleavon
2013-03-04, 03:58 AM
Salek

With the goblins destroyed so handily he rests his axe back on his shoulder, not yet convinced he won't have to swing it again. He listens to the foppish man, happy to have such a person in his debt but more concerned with the state of the goblin invaders. He began to look about and keep his ears perked for anymore fighting.

"That's kind of you mister Foxglove. Lets see if we can't drive off the rest of these goblins, or at least help put these fires out. No use letting the damage spread."

Bhaakon
2013-03-04, 04:32 AM
Salek scans the sky, seeing that previously black pillars of smoke have taken on a grey tint as bucket brigades get to work quenching the flames. The sounds of battle have all but doed, and no more small figures dart between shadows or along eaves. A sharp horn blast, the assembly signal for the town guard, sounds from somewhere to the East, near the coastline.

"Ah, yes, of course. Sally forth then! I believe I'll head South, it seems suspiciously quiet that way." The well-heeled man makes another quick bow, then turns and sets off at a marching clip just short of an undignified sprint. "Remember what I said, milady" he shouts over his shoulder, "the Rusty Dragon!"

stack
2013-03-04, 08:50 AM
Rath is tilting his powder horn before the goblin's remains have hit the ground. He finishes loading as he markedly ignores the rich man's fawning. Least I might get a drink out of it.

He listens for sounds of further trouble. Nodding in agreement with Salek, "Drinks can wait. Let's make sure its over."

standard reload, then pressing on

Bhaakon
2013-03-04, 08:56 PM
The insistent (if a bit off-tune) call to arms leads you a few blocks east to Junker's Edge, a 30' cliff where much of Sandpoint goes to dump refuse onto the rocky shingle below.

There Sheriff Hemlock and a score of town guards have pinned a similar number of goblins against the sheer drop. The desperate goblins panic at the sight of human reinforcements, and begin jumping over the cliff in a mad bid to escape. The first few die horribly, but cushion the fall for their fellows. In the end , eight of the goblins limp down the coast as fast as their injuries will allow, while those too injured to flee moan pitiably from the ugly pile of twisted limbs below.

"By Gorum's scarred arse!" Curses Hemlock, astonished at the goblins' foolishness. "Break out the ropes! I want men down there to collect prisoners for questioning!" The guardsmen aren't trained mountaineers (they're barely even trained to fight, for the most part), but they eventually manage to drag up a pair of mangled goblins for interrogation.

stack
2013-03-04, 10:19 PM
Rath saunters up to hemlock, musket across his shoulders. He looks at the fleeing goblin survivors. "You want I should track 'em, sir?"

survival is +6

Bhaakon
2013-03-04, 11:57 PM
"Let 'em go. An injured, cornered goblin fights like an irate badger, but they treat wounds like one, too. Most will fester and rot in their filthy dens."

"Thanks for the aid, by the way. We could have defeated them regardless, but it might have cost the town a guard or two." He adds, extending a hand to Rath.

In the background, the town is as quiet as it was boisterous just an hour ago. The fires are out, or nearly so, as the last rays of sunlight struggle to illuminate the dwindling pillars of smoke and steam.

Cleavon
2013-03-05, 01:26 AM
Salek

Shaking his head at how the goblins behaved, he shrugged a little bit to the Sheriff.

"Glad to help you out then. No use letting the goblins kill any more than they did."

He turned to the people gathered there and looked at them in turn.

"I don't know about you lot but there's a rich looking fop that says he owes me a drink. I think I'll go try and collect. Any of you know how to get to the Rusty Dragon by chance?"

He chuckled a little bit, and turned to Alera.

"Probably be best if you come with us lass, he seemed to take quite a shine to you."

Rokku
2013-03-05, 02:42 AM
Alera looks horrified for a brief instant, but quickly composes herself.

"Yes, right, of course. And I know the Dragon, anybody who's grown up in Sandpoint does."

Zefir
2013-03-05, 02:43 AM
Teqin shekes his head as well as he saw the goblins escape rout.

"Goblins are very strange."

Then he heads to Hemlock.

"You are welcome! Desna send us here to save her follower from these nasty little things. If you have people who still need aid, I'm able to heal their wounds."

As the half Orc speaks up Tequin turns to the groupe.

"If we head for this men, it would be wise to at least know the names of each other right? I'm Tequin Emeral, a follower of Desna."

Bhaakon
2013-03-05, 03:50 AM
"A Desnan, eh? Most unfortunate about the little rat-eaters disrupting the consecration of the new Cathedral. Not a very auspicious beginning for such an expensive building. You know, I used to hire on extra guards for the festival each year, but the Mayor's been diverting so much money to the construction effort..." Helock grumps about budget cuts and staffing shortages for a few minutes while his men bind the badly wounded goblins to stretchers.

"...maybe this will be a wake-up call and I can start training more men and offer up some respectable reward money. You let the bounty on goblin ears lapse for a few years, and look what happens. Oh, looks like the prisoners are secured." The Sheriff dispatches most of his men to continue patrolling Sandpoint, then, unless you have any questions, sets off with the rest to carry the goblins to the guard garrison.

Cleavon
2013-03-05, 06:41 AM
Salek

He tilts his head and turns to Tequin, nodding in agreement.

"I suppose you're right with that. I'm Salek Maltoh, I hail out of Nybor. A pleasure to fight beside such fine people, I say."

Bhaakon
2013-03-05, 06:50 AM
"I'll be sure to remember those names, though I take little pleasure in fighting myself. I can't wait to get back to nabbing pickpockets and rousing drunks," he replies. "Belor Hemlock, by the way, though I'm sure I saw you in the crowd during my little speech this morning."

stack
2013-03-05, 08:21 AM
Rath takes his hand firmly and gives a nod. "Sheriff."

Sparing a dirty look for the wounded goblins, he glances back over his shoulder to his new-found allies. "Rath Shepard. I know the place. Thirsty enough, see you there."

Rath will join them there after he has found his sisters and taken them home.

He slinks off, musket in hand, barrel toward the ground.

Rokku
2013-03-05, 09:08 AM
"Alera Valdemar, says the magical girl, curtsying slightly, "and yes, I'm glad you were all here too. To keep those nasty little things from stabbing me while I put them to sleep."

She watches Rath walk off and nods slowly.

"Rath's probably off to make sure his family's okay. I'd like to do the same before we head to the Rusty Dragon, if you fellows don't mind."

Halae
2013-03-05, 10:35 AM
Eli nods, "Eli Rolan, and my eidolon, Kurambis," The half-drow says, with the eidolon bowing, "Mr. Hemlock, if you need Kurambis or I ever, don't hesitate to seek me out; I'm sure our descriptions stand out a bit, so we shouldn't be hard to find. That being said, I'll go on ahead to the dragon then, make sure Foxglove doesn't skip out on us."

Kurambis grumbles.

"Yes, I'm aware you don't like him. That doesn't mean we should be rude."

"Master, he seems odd. Like he doesn't act the same way as other people."

"That's just because he was hitting on Alera."

Unless someone stops the pair, Eli and Kurambis will be heading off to the Rusty Dragon in short order.

Bhaakon
2013-03-05, 06:58 PM
A half-hearted cleanup is under way as you travel the streets. You pass watchman leads a cart back towards Junker's Edge, loaded down with a dozen dead goblins. In another spot a man works on his roof with an ax, tearing away burnt shingles in a search for live coals. The bodies in front of the cathedral are long gone when you pass, and on of the acolytes is busy scrubbing the blood stains. Father Zalthus has gone into the town to help tend the wounded.

Rath is relieved to find that his two sisters made it safely to their Uncle's house, though his Aunt gives the gunslinger an earful for leaving Lorie and Imoen to fight the crowds by themselves.

The Alera home is intact and its occupants safe, though Uncle Belven ran off to the shipyard once he'd heard that one of the half-finished fishing skows had been set aflame.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Assured of the safety of your loved one, you meet together back at the Rusty dragon. The famous festhall is packed, but the patron are far more interested in drowning their sorrows in peace than the usual revelry the Dragon is famous for.

Foxglove is easy to spot, having somehow secured and protected a table large enough for all of you. He waves you over, along with a barmaid. "Ah, you made it! Not that there was much doubt such heroes would survive against the goblin rabble. Please order whatever you wish; the feast is on me tonight." The finishes with a flourish, standing and bowing slightly while surreptitiously pulling out the seat next to him for Alera.

Zefir
2013-03-06, 06:01 AM
Tequin nods to each other. It is a very strange bunch of people who got here in the right time.

Tequin will follow Eli, since he only arrived here. With a worried expression he pass the churches stairs. Hopefully most of the blood comes from the Goblins.

In the Rusty dragon Tequin will take place on the table Foxglove offered.
"Thank you."
He will then order a beer and ask for a free room.

stack
2013-03-06, 08:34 AM
Rath bears the reproach silently, relieved that everyone is safe, though too reserved to say anything. Excusing himself, he slips into the night. He steps into the Rusty Dragon a bit after. Catching the barkeeps familiar face, he holds up one finger, then gestures to Foxglove, his intent clear.

He snags his flagon without breaking stride and sits, raising his newly acquired drink. Meeting Foxglove's eyes, speaking sincerely, "Good dog. Shame." then takes a drink.

Rokku
2013-03-06, 08:39 AM
Alera joins the group at Foxglove's table, looking relieved.

"My family's okay, thank the gods," she says, "unfortunately too many others can't say the same. I'm not sure I'm really in the mood for a feast."

At that moment her empty stomach makes an embarassing noise and she winces.

Cleavon
2013-03-06, 05:21 PM
Salek

Graciously following one of the locals to the Rusty Dragon Salek looked around the place for a few moments before heading over to Foxgloves table. He took a seat and nodded politely to the offer of paying the bill.

Since that was the case, and he wasn't the why type when hungry, he ordered a mug of ale and whatever roasted meat they had handy. He hadn't eaten well in a while and if he had the chance he wouldn't waste it.

"Here here! Just glad I could help. Sad to see the town take such losses we did what what we could."

Bhaakon
2013-03-06, 06:44 PM
"Yes, it is a shame to lose such a fine hunting dog. I was planning a boar hunt, but it may have to be postponed." Foxglove reposponds to Rath, seemingly more troubled by the personal inconvenience than the loss of the animal.

"Nonsense," He says to Alera, politely ignoring her protesting stomach. "You all must be famished after such exertions. As I hear it, you slew nearly half of the invaders yourself!. In fact, let me propose a toast."

Foxglove stands as one of the barmaids finishes distributing you drinks. He clears his throat loudly, and, when that fails to garner everyone's attention, bangs on his pewter tankard with a fork until every face in the Dragon turns his way. "I'd like to thank the heroes of Swallowtail, who saved my life and quiet possibly yours as well! Let it be known that Rath Shepard, Salek Maltoth, Tequin Emeral, Eli Rolan, and the enchanting Alera Valdermar risked life and limb to slay a score of goblins, saved the new cathedral from fire, and drove out the filthy invaders before they could put Sandpoint to the torch! Now please enjoy a round on me, in honor of these heroes!"

Though the mood of the tavern is dour, they manage to work up genuine cheer (and not just because of the promise of free drink). Half of the town was in that square in front of the cathedral, and many of those in the crowd recall your actions.

Shortly after the toast plates of food begin pouring out of the kitchen. It's far more than you ordered, and the intoxicating aroma of exotic, expensive spices fills the air. A young Tian woman bounces out from behind the bar as the last plate is delivered, "I'm Ameiko Kaijutsu, though most of you know that," She nods to the locals in the group,"and despite your benefactor's gift for flattery, I know that he's not exaggerating too much. I hope that I'd have done the same, if I wasn't stuck here preparing for the post-ceremony feast. Please accept this on behalf of the town: the finest food and drink I have to offer, and free lodging for a week, if you need it."

stack
2013-03-06, 08:53 PM
Out of courtesy Rath swallows his retort regarding the man's apparent dis-concern for his beast, then tries hard to turn invisible as all the eyes in the room turn toward their table, their gaze setting his skin on fire. So much for a free drink.

His embarrassment isn't so great that he doesn't snatch a haunch as me meat goes round. When the Tian woman speaks, he nods to her familiarly. "Ameiko. Be staying with the family. Thanks anyhow."

Halae
2013-03-06, 11:46 PM
Eli and Kurambis

Eli burries his head in his hands and groans when the toast is started. He's not a glory seeker - he barely even wants to be recognized. His hands cover most of it, but those at the table should be able to see his cheeks flush with embarrassment despite the dark color of his skin.

Kurambis, meanwhile, just looks confused. Well, except for when the food arrives - Eli had already ordered a large amount for the eidolon, so it must be quite the plate. Eli's meal will likely be a good deal more modest, but he digs in just as much.

Once he's taken a few bites and allowed both Ameiko and Rath to finish speaking, he swallows and says, "Thank you, Mistress Kaijutsu. While we have our own lodging, Both Kurambis and I are are very grateful for the food. I'm a horrible cook, so this is a beautiful change."

Kurambis shows his appreciation for it by not slowing down. At all. And Eli is soon eating at a similar pace, though his smaller mouth limits him somewhat.

Cleavon
2013-03-07, 12:20 AM
Salek

Having plenty of fun with his drink and filling a plate from the food that was put before them he raised his mug to the crowd and let out a throaty cheer as well...colored by the fact that he still had a mouth partially filled with roast fowl of some sort.

He dug into the food with great abandon, commenting on the deliciousness of this spice or that. Mostly with his mouth half full. One does not learn much for table manners being a fur trapper from the Mushfens.

When Ameiko gives her thanks Salek smiles wide and makes sure to at least swallow and wipe his mouth before speaking to such a gracious hostess.

"It was the least we could do I assure you, and the food is excellent. I believe I've a need to take you up on your offer of a room as well. Sandpoint should stand for a thousand years!"

With that he raises his mug to those at the table and continues his devouring of the tasty food.

Rokku
2013-03-07, 06:28 AM
Alera smiles sheepishly and waves politely to the crowd. Then she tucks in and eats like crazy. Apparently, brutal violence gives her an appetite.

Bhaakon
2013-03-07, 07:59 AM
The meal lives up to the Dragon's reputation for tasty, exotic dishes. From Qadiran saffron and Tien nutmeg to the hot little dried berries recently discovered in distant Avistan, you can tell that Ameiko has dug deeply into her person supply of spices. Conversation proves impossible for a good while as you dig into the table full of delicacies.

As the feast winds down, a stuffed and slight tipsy Aldern Foxglove once more asks your attention. "Ah, how could I let it slip my mind? Your reward! No, not the meal, though it's certainly fine. Chargers! Yes, that's it, heroes need heroic mounts! Why I believe I saw the finest palomino the other day, a perfectly lovely mount for Alera, if I can convince the owner to part with it..." he trails off to a mumble, then seems to remember something important.

"Oh, and once you are properly mounted, you can accompany me on my boar hunt! Please meet me hear tomorrow morning, and I'll arrange everything."

stack
2013-03-07, 08:09 AM
Rath closes his eyes, feeling a headache coming on. Another bloody fop that thinks he's a hunter. Wonderful. What poor sap is stuck as the huntmaster? I'm certain this dandy couldn't survive a piglet without expert aid. Looking back up, he forces a wane smile and waits to see how the others react.

Halae
2013-03-07, 10:26 AM
Eli and Kurambis

Kurambis, oblivious as ever, just continues to eat throughout all the talk, but Eli puts a hand on Rath's shoulder. He doesn't know how bad it is with hunters, but he does know that apprentice mages who try more than they should blow their hands off. He expects it's much the same, and that's where Rath's expression is coming from.

stack
2013-03-07, 10:50 AM
Feelign Eli's hand, Rath shrugs. "Boar can be a handful. Who's your huntmaster, I might know 'im?"

Rokku
2013-03-07, 11:08 AM
"A hunt? I've never really..."

Alera could barely stomach the violence when it was to save lives. She wasn't sure she could stomach it for sport.

"I'm not sure I can, Mister Foxglove. I'll almost certainly be needed at the shipyard after everything that happened today. But I'll speak with my uncle and see?"

Bhaakon
2013-03-07, 11:20 AM
Aldern fidgets a bit, perhaps not expecting Rath to take the hunt so seriously. "Er, my man Rogors Craesby. He's the grounds and gamekeeper at my manor. I don't think he's an expert woodsman, but he handles my animals well enough."

"But maybe I should hire on a practiced guide. Hmm. Truth be told, we usually we do more drinking than hunting. It might be a refreshing change to come home with more than a hangover."

@Rath, Salek
Tickwood is a popular local hunting spot, about an hour's ride east of town. Its home to boars, firepelt cougars, and the occasional giant tick (a disgusting nuisance, but not much of a danger to a hunting party). It's not home to any goblins, as far as you're aware.

DC 20 knowledge local
Rogors Craesby is a retired innkeeper from Sandpoint. He's locally notable for losing an ear in a bar fight many years ago, but not his hunting prowess.

Bhaakon
2013-03-07, 11:25 AM
Seeing Alera threaten to leave, and without committing to the hunt, Aldern jumps to action. "Why of course, milady, the violence is most disagreeable, but people must eat, after all, and it's our duty on the hunt to dispatch the quarry as quickly and painlessly as possible. I saw you put the goblins to sleep with your magic. Such a spell would be a mercy for hunter and beast alike, I think."

stack
2013-03-07, 11:29 AM
local [roll0]

Rath's face is impassive. "Don't know 'im, know the spot though. Done a bit of hunting there. Been known to hire out, for a price."

"Drinks only after shooting. Obviously."

Bhaakon
2013-03-07, 12:32 PM
"What price is that, friend?" Asks Aldern, sheepishly adding, "if I'd know you were a professional huntsman, I wouldn't have asked you to perform your duties for free."

stack
2013-03-07, 12:55 PM
Rath leans back, shrugging casually. "Two gold a day, plus any unusual expenses." Need to recoup the ammo I burned tonight. Blasted quick loads.

didn't see that one on the services list, but a competent lawyer is 3 GP (which would be MUCH more expensive than hunting guide). My guess is the 'proper' rate would be 5 SP to 1 GP, but Rath feels like pushing his luck and figures he has a soft target.

Zefir
2013-03-07, 01:08 PM
As the people cheer up, Tequin stands up and holds his holy symbol up.

"It was Desna who brought us here in the right time to prevent more harm of these little beasts."

He takes place again and looks really suprised when the food was offered. After Ameiko spoke to them he stands up and bows slightly.

"Thank you very much Mistress Kaijutsu. It would be a pleasure for me to take the room you offer. May Desna praise you for your generosity."

After that Tequin tries to get some of the offered food, always paying attention to not get into Kurambis's range. The fact that he even eat the goblins makes Tequin a bit afraid.

Bhaakon
2013-03-07, 01:19 PM
"Sold, Master Shepard, and I'll double it if we bag a boar." Aldern agrees, excitedly.

stack
2013-03-07, 01:48 PM
Rath nods. "Meet at your estate? Obviously your gear is prepared already. You use a gun, bow, or crossbow?"

Bhaakon
2013-03-07, 01:53 PM
"No, no. My estate is half a day's ride south. I'll be staying the night here, we can meet here to break our fast before we leave. I've a crossbow for hunting, and my footmen have spears." Answers Aldern excitedly.

stack
2013-03-07, 03:45 PM
"Bright and early. Or dark and early, properly." Business concluded, Rath thinks of gold and turns back to the pleasant task of trying to find the bottom of his plate.

Cleavon
2013-03-07, 08:30 PM
Salek

Perking up an ear as he listened to Rath speak to Foxglove for a bit he continued to eat. Only Kurambis would eat more than Salek. The Half-Orc had consumed quite a measure of ale as well, and when the talk turned to hunting he smiled wide.

"Oh aye, I think a hunting trip would be right well. A hearty breakfast and then we can muck about the Tickwood till we find us some right proper pigs to haul out. Cheers to that!"

Bhaakon
2013-03-07, 11:42 PM
"Yesh, yesh. Off to bed then, and meet here at firsht light." Slurs Foglove. He's not the only one deep into their cups, the Dragon has mostly emptied during your meal, with only a few professional drunkards going about their nightly business. Ameiko yawns pointedly from behind the bar, a well known sign among regular patrons that it's time to clear out for the night.

stack
2013-03-08, 08:24 AM
Rath stands, nodding to the table. He give Ameiko a wave before disappearing into the night. Before bed he carefully checks his gear, cleaning his barrel twice to prevent another misfire in the heat of action.

Erastil, save me from rich idiots and insane goblins.

Rokku
2013-03-08, 01:13 PM
Alera stays as long as is polite, then heads home and hopes to find a good excuse to not go hunting in the morning.

Bhaakon
2013-03-08, 08:50 PM
The feast winds down and you all head off to bed, whether you're following the staggering Aldern Foxglove upstairs to the Rusty Dragon's private rooms, or walking the now-quiet streets back to your own residence.

As morning breaks, the town is still in a depressed mood. Visiting merchant and carnies work sullenly at packing up broken stalls and salvaging what inventory they can. Not many have turned a profit at this year's festival.

The Rusty Dragon's dining hall is also rather empty, despite being well known for its breakfast. A few of the previous night's patrons nurse hangovers with greasy meals and some hair of the dog, but Aldern isn't among them. The fop is still sleeping it off when you arrives, according to his footman, Rogors Craesby. "Maybe in a couple o' hours." says the old man as he nervously scratches the scarred hole where his left ear had been.

Fortunately, you don't have to wait that long. Sheriff Hemlock stalks into the Dragon shortly after you arrive. "Ah, I was looking for you! After what you did yesterday, I figured that you might want to see the whole matter with the goblins through to the end. Father Zantus found something suspicious this morning, and I'd like you to help me investigate."

Cleavon
2013-03-08, 11:57 PM
Salek

Coming downstairs into the common room Salek rubbed a hand over the top of his bald pate and shook the cobwebs out of his brain. He was never one for hangovers, so once he was finally fully awake he seemed quite happy to get whatever breakfast he could. He'd make sure to try and milk some free bacon and eggs from the establishment to try and preserve his scant amount of coin.

Upon hearing that the hunt wouldn't be for a couple hours at least he found not much else to do but hang about the common room of the Dragon. Luckily something occurs to take up the time and he quickly gathers round to hear what the sheriff has to say.

Halae
2013-03-09, 01:26 AM
Eli and Kurambis

Eli still looks half asleep. Kurambis, of course, doesn't need to sleep, and thus looks as fresh as ever, happy as a clam, and chowing down on breakfast.

He looks away from his own meal, barely keeping both eyes open, "What's the issue?"

Bhaakon
2013-03-09, 01:54 AM
"Not sure, entirely. The priest says someone disturbed a grave some time since the festival. Zantus said that he was out there preforming some sort of ritual before the consecration ceremony last evening and everything was fine, but this morning he was doing his rounds and saw that one of the vaults was cracked open." Explains the Sheriff.

"I had most of my men up all night patrolling for straggling goblins, so I'm a bit short-handed. Then I thought of coming by and tapping the 'swallowtail heroes' for a little backup." His tone isn't quite mocking, but you can tell that he's a little skeptical of the whole "hero" thing.

stack
2013-03-09, 11:32 AM
Rath arrived before first light, taking a hearty breakfast and stowing away sweetbreads and sausages for later. He greets the sheriff with a nod. "Sheriff."

(After the sheriff speaks)

Disturbed graves? Can't let that stand. Ma is buried there. If someone... "I'm in." Going to lose that fat fee for the hunt, but what else can I do?

He turns to Craesby. "I'm sure your master will understand. If this gets wrapped up early, we'll still go today. If not, some other time, half price." He grimaces at the lost coin and likelihood of lost face.

Rokku
2013-03-09, 03:42 PM
"Yes absolutely we must deal with this post haste!" blurts Alera. Clearly, she's relieved to have a good reason to pass up the boar hunt, even if it's a very creepy and disturbing reason.

Zefir
2013-03-09, 04:35 PM
When Tequin comes down to meet with Aldren, he was already awake for an hour. He did his daily praiers to Desna, hopefully getting all his spells back.

He nods at Rogors Craesby, but doesn't say anything unless the Sherrif comes and speaks.

"Father Zantus needs our help? We shouldn't waste any time now, since this may be very important."

Bhaakon
2013-03-09, 06:39 PM
The Sheriff sets a brisk pace through the winding streets of Sandpoint. As he walks, he turns the conversation to the battle the day before and the goblin prisoners. As you near the cathedral, the Sheriff pauses for a moment. "Since it's here, I guess I'll show you," he points to an old covered wagon sitting in a side alley. "My boys found it last night, full of garbage and goblin spoor. It wasn't the only one."

"Those goblins we captured keep babbling that their leader was some longshanks--er, that's what they call any of the taller races. It's hard to believe that someone could have betrayed the town, but it wasn't goblins driving those wagons through the gate."

Cleavon
2013-03-09, 08:17 PM
Salek

Eagerly following along, Salek wondered what might be in store for them. He had come to Sandpoint to broaden his horizons and see if he could make a name for himself...it seemed it might be quicker to happen than he thought.

As they passed by the Wagon he blinked at the thing. How strange of someone to aid goblins, of all creatures.

"Really? Who would have a cause to help such creatures..and why? Lets hope the little bastards weren't just a distraction..."

Bhaakon
2013-03-09, 09:13 PM
"Hell of a distraction, if so. Half a dozen dead, two score injured, and I'll need to borrow Abadar's abacus to figure the property damage," says the Sheriff as he continues the march to the wrought iron processional gate of the Sandpoint cemetery.

Father Zaltus waits there, pacing with the fist-sized brass key clenched behind white knuckles. He's a shadow of the exultant cleric you saw yesterday, hunched over and shrunken into the same blood-spattered vestments he wore to the festival. The black bags under his eyes make it clear that he hasn't slept. "Finally! I flagged down the guardsman an hour ago! The disaster yesterday, and now a violated grave. I'm at my wit's end!" He laments, wincing as the gate screeches its protest at being opened. "Please, you must clear this matter up before the funerals start this afternoon."

He rushes you between the headstones to a low vault near the town wall. Its blocks are charred in places, but solid. The same can't be said for the sheet of stone used to seal the mausoleum. Something has cracked it and wrenched open a passage just big enough for a grown man to crawl through (or a goblin to enter stooped over). The earth in front of the vault has been churned up by many feet, leaving several clear prints.

"This is where the caretaker and acolytes of the old temple of Desna are interred." Zaltus explains solemnly. "I ordered this vault to be built from the foundation stones after the fire. See what you can find, I need to go prepare if I'm to re-sanctify the disturbed graves before the funerals." With that Zaltus heads back towards the catherdral.

DC 13 perception
Many of the prints belong to goblins, but some are from a larger humanoid in boots (excluding Zaltus and his sandles).

DC 13 survival
Your practiced eye discerns six distinct goblin tracks and one larger humanoid. It's easy to follow their trail back to where they climbed the town wall.

Rokku
2013-03-09, 10:25 PM
(Take 10 for Perception 16)

"Goblins did this," says Alera, looking at the prints, "but... not just goblins. Look at those boot prints. They're far too big."

Cleavon
2013-03-10, 01:10 AM
Salek

Crouching down he looked at the tracks and his eyes carefully counted out what could be found there.

(Take 10 on Survival for a 17)

"S'right. Six of 'em. One bigger bloke with 'em too."

He stood and began to follow the tracks back towards the city walls, and after a moment came jogging back to the group.

"Looks like these had this in mind all along. They came straight over the wall and straight here. I don't know about you guys but I'm going in there."

The Half-Orc drew his battle axe and settled in, looking quite ready to crawl inside that opening and find out what's happening inside.

Halae
2013-03-10, 06:00 AM
Eli and Kurambis

All this time the summoner and eidolon have been following quietly, Eli deep in thought while Kurambis traipses about as his usual oblivious self. When the distraction is mentioned, however... "Sheriff, How did the old church burn down? Did anybody die in the blaze? How long ago was it?"

Bhaakon
2013-03-10, 06:29 AM
"Bad business, that," mutters Belor. "It was right around the time of the Chopper murders, about five years ago. The old temple was a squat wooden eyesore dating back to the founding of the town. Ugly as sin, but it had history."

"One night it just burned to the ground, taking an entire block with it. We never learned the cause, but everyone knew the dessicated pile was a firetrap. It went up like a torch with old Father Tobyn, his daughter, and three Desnan acolytes inside. We sifted through the ashes for their remains, but..." he looks to make sure Zantus is gone, "the fire hardly left anything. We could pick out what was left of Tobyn because of his half-melted holy symbol, but the others were guesswork and Desna's blessing."

Halae
2013-03-10, 06:46 AM
Eli and Kurambis

Kurambis lets out a yawn, shifting his weigh from one leg to the other. Master was doing his thing again, using Kurambis as a second mind to bounce ideas off of. Kurambis always felt he wasn't as helpful as he maybe should have been, but he was far from useless in this. Having someone to speak to in silence was a great boon for the half-drow.

"What can you tell me about Father Tobryn and his Daughter?" His red eyes are wide, calculating, considering possibilities. As dumb as Kurambis might be, he occassionally had flashes of insight into things like this, and they're speaking through their link at a quicker pace than the conversation outside is taking place.

Bhaakon
2013-03-10, 07:07 AM
"Hmm. Well, they weren't related by blood, for one. Tobyn was never married, as far as I know. No surprise, he was one Desnan with a real stick up...er" he stops mid sentence and smiles a bit sheepishly at Tequin.

"Anyway, he adopted this foundling girl...um... Nala? Nulia? No, it was Nualia. I think." The Sheriff rubs a hand over his shave pate, struggling to remember. "She was part celestial. No wings or halos or anything, but enough that you could tell. She must have been 17 or so when the fire happened."

He shrugs, "if you want to know more than that, you'd better talk to the local gossips and rumormongers. It's a real shame, though. She was quite fetching."

Halae
2013-03-10, 07:17 AM
Eli and Kurambis

Eli nods, "Thanks, I just might do that. For now though, we have a tomb to look at, don't we?" He lowers the brim of his wide hat, looking at nothing as he contemplates with Kurambis' help.

Zefir
2013-03-10, 10:47 AM
Tequin followed the group as well and listens to the others.
As Hemlock mention the 'sick up' as he calls it, Tequin smiles.

"Sometimes Sherrif, people find something more important for themself than lust. "

Bhaakon
2013-03-10, 11:13 PM
Surprise Round

While the others are talking, Salek takes it on his own initiative to enter the vault. It's a tight fit, but the burly half orc manages to squeeze in by crouching low instead of getting down on all fours.

It's a good thing, too, because his sharp eyes immediately pick out a trio of animated skeletons shuffling about in the murky interior of the mausoleum.

map and important info!
This is the Surprise round. Only Salek can act, and only a move or standard action (or shortened charge, as per the charge rules)

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee498/Bhaakon/SalekVault1.jpg

Environmental rules:

-The interior of the vault is in dim light, so creatures w/o darkvision suffer a 20% miss chance.

-To enter the vault, you have to move from E6 to E7. Doing so costs 15 feet of movement on top of whatever movement you spend to reach E7. You can continue your move afterwards if you have any remaining.

Cleavon
2013-03-11, 12:47 AM
Salek

His eyes picking up on the shuffling undead, he grimaced. Well, they're only piles of old bones. How hard could they hit? He took a step forward and called back through the hole.

"Get down here, this place ain't empty!"

Actions!

five foot step to E5, giving his comrades room to get in behind him, then yelling up to them.

Bhaakon
2013-03-11, 01:15 AM
1st full round

As Salek bellows his warning the skeletons stalk forward, swiping repeatedly at the half orc with fleshless digits. Bone rakes painfully through the Salek's skin, digging bloody furrows from ear to jowl and tearing a chunk out of an arm raised in defense.

@Salek
7 damage

map
1st full round for Salek, Eli/Kurambis and Rath.

Alera and Tequin have to wait

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee498/Bhaakon/Desnavault2.jpg

Environmental rules:

-The interior of the vault is in dim light, so creatures w/o darkvision suffer a 20% miss chance.

-To enter the vault, you have to move from E6 to E7. Doing so costs 15 feet of movement on top of whatever movement you spend to reach E7. You can continue your move afterwards if you have any remaining. Remember that you can move through a friendly occupied space, so it's possible to make the transit if people are in the way, as long as you can finish your move in an empty spot.

Halae
2013-03-11, 03:48 AM
Eli and Kurambis

The Eidolon and summoner spare a glance for each other, but within seconds, Kurambis is charging towards the hole, trying to get in to back Salek up. If he manages to make it in, he'll move over to one of the skeletons and bite at it.

Eli, for now, will remain out of the way. His spellcasting isn't very good, particularly in confines like this, but Kurambis can deal with melee just fine.

Bhaakon
2013-03-11, 04:02 AM
Kurambis is in D5

Zefir
2013-03-11, 04:26 AM
Tequin

Hearing the call from Salek, Tequin doesn't waste any time to follow his comrade. As he notice the the undeads he tries to get next to Salek and hopefully take their fokus from the hurt Half-Orc. Holding up his Holy Symbol he speaks to the undeads.

"Desna, these creatures have defiled the rest of your followers. Please give me strength to defeat them and prevent any more harm."

Moving to F5 (if possible)
Channeling positiv energy to harm undead [roll0]
DC 13 Will save to half.

Bhaakon
2013-03-11, 04:29 AM
Tequin can't act yet, he lost initiative.

Rokku
2013-03-11, 07:48 AM
"Of course walking dead, because I've only got sleep spells and illusions," mutters Alera.

Sticking her head into the hole, she flings a bolt of force at the first skeleton she sees.

No reason not to get this out of the way now; I've learned you should never, ever wait to post, the person you're waiting on might have caught fire or something. Ranged Touch: [roll0] Arcane Bolt [roll1] -4 for no precise shot already applied, could be up to another -4 if they have soft cover. I'm hoping shooting from the hole might avoid that!

Bhaakon
2013-03-11, 07:51 AM
unless the person you're waiting on is the DM. The skeletons have another turn before you.

stack
2013-03-11, 08:16 AM
Rath shoulders his musket, but holds back. "Get out of there, you fools!. its a choke point, Back out, make them crawl, we can all fight them!."

ready action to blast any skeleton coming out of the hole, which won't happen this turn. Time for withdraw actions, people!

also, close quarters are a bad place for the musket master.

Cleavon
2013-03-11, 10:18 AM
Salek

He howled in pain as the claws tore at him, his axe raised high in defense. As Kurambis clambered in next to him he thought about what to do. They seemed vicious, but even if this was just an Eidolon next to him he shouldn't just leave it's side. His wounds throbbed with pain then and he heard Rath shout for a retreat and he grimaced. Best not to play the hero while bleeding so badly.

Actions!

Withdraw out of the hole. Four spaces straight back should do.

Halae
2013-03-11, 10:49 AM
Eli and Kurambis

Eli will fish a vial out of his pack and try to put it into Salek's hands, "Here, drink this. It probably won't get rid of the entire wound, but it should help."

It's a Cure Light Wounds potion, of course.

Bhaakon
2013-03-11, 05:58 PM
Round 2

"The undead?" Shouts the Sheriff, "just what we need. Zaltus is going have a stroke." The draws his longsword and pulls the light shield from his back with practiced ease, stepping forward to fill the first gap in the battle line that presents itself.

With Salek's strategic withdraw from the catacomb, the mindless skeletons turn their full attention on Kurambis. Even the eidolon's leathery hide can't standup to the ceaseless clawing of magically animate bone, and in a matter of seconds Kurambis is a mass of ragged slices oozing whatever passes for its blood. Perhaps none of the wounds would be mortal, but they add up to enough damage to disperse the magics Eli uses to summon his eidolon to Golarion. Kurambis dissolves into the darkness, sent back to whatever plane spawned him.

Map
Everyone is up. If you want the Sheriff to do anything in particular, either instruct him in character or discuss it OOC.

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee498/Bhaakon/desnavault3.jpg

Halae
2013-03-11, 06:22 PM
Eli

"Kurambis has been sent back to his home plane. Ready yourselves and we'll strike them as they attempt to come out."

Eli prepares a cantrip - the only offensive one he knows - and prepares for something to rear its head. As soon as it does, a glob of acid will be shot towards its face.

Damage, if Applicable: [roll1]

Not that he's a great shot. And the sun is in his sensitive eyes.

Cleavon
2013-03-11, 06:47 PM
Salek

Taking the vial into his hand he looked to Eli and shrugged. He looked ghastly, bleeding from the side of his face for the most part. He didn't seem that perturbed by the wounds but they were indeed wearing on him.

"If you think it'll help."

He uncapped the vial and downed its contents.

Actions!

Five foot step straight back to make room for the sheriff to form up the line, and drink the potion he was handed.

[roll0]

stack
2013-03-11, 08:48 PM
Rath scowls as he holds his aim, ready to perforate any emergent undead.

ready to shoot

[roll0] vs touch
[roll1]

if they don't come out in a few seconds, he'll crouch and shoot through the opening

Zefir
2013-03-12, 04:20 AM
Tequin remains at his current position. Since Salek is outside and not hurt (anymore) he can concentrate on the undeads. He rise up his holy symbol and speaks the words as he planned.

"Desna, these creatures have defiled the rest of your followers. Please give me strength to defeat them and prevent any more harm."

Since Salek leaves his position Tequin makes a five-foot step to E8.
Action: Channel Energy (To hurt undeads)[roll0]

Rokku
2013-03-12, 10:27 AM
Alera backs away from the opening and prepares to zap the first skeleton she sees.

May as well just keep the fail rolls from my previous post, move Alera back to F10.

Bhaakon
2013-03-12, 01:27 PM
Round 2

At first the skeletons seem reluctant to emerge, but Tequin's blast of divine power gets their attention. They clatter towards the opening and the first squeezes through. Rath takes the opportunity to unload his musket at close range, but the bullet flies through the creature's empty rib cage withough hitting bone.

The skeleton that emerges is noticeably more ragged after the dose of positive energy, and its feeble claw attacks bounce off the cleric's scale armor.

Map and info
Everyone is up.

If you threaten E7, then you get and AoO on anything that exits the vault (go ahead an roll it ahead of time, I'll apply it to what comes out). That includes the one that just emerged, so roll that AoO as well.

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee498/Bhaakon/desnavault4.jpg

stack
2013-03-12, 01:38 PM
Well, most of my targets have FLESH. Bloodyblastedunnaturalshouldhavewenthuntingandgotp aid.

Rath takes a step back and reloads, teeth clenched tight as his eyes shoot daggers at the surprisingly spry dead.
move to F9, standard reload

Halae
2013-03-12, 01:42 PM
Eli

Eli will take a step back, so as to be out of reach of the skeletons, and then summon a glorious looking dog in the spot where he was standing. Said dog will attempt to bite at the skeleton before it. "Enjoy the bones, boy!"

The dog surges forward, attempting to crack bone between its teeth. It's a bit small, but hey, it's a combatant.

Use of my summoner monster 1 ability to summon a celestial dog. As this is a standard action, the dog is allowed to act on this turn, specifically my initiative. If, for some reason, the skeleton is dead when my turn comes around, the dog will take a five foot step forward to attack the skeleton behind the first.

A fair step down from Kurambis, but whatever.

Rokku
2013-03-12, 03:25 PM
Alera throws more force bolts at skeletons.

Attack [roll0] Damage [roll1]

Cleavon
2013-03-12, 03:44 PM
Salek

Seeing the dog appear he hefted his axe, feeling much better after the potion that had been handed to him. He stood his ground, in case any of the skeletons got close enough to him.

Actions!

Ready an attack if a skeleton comes into range. Most likely not going to happen.

Potential Attack roll:
[roll0]

Damage!
[roll1]

Slashing damage, so DR will probably apply.

Zefir
2013-03-12, 05:18 PM
The AOO
Attack with Heavy Mace.[roll0]
[roll1]

As Tequin sees, that the skeletons can't pass his armor, he preferes to attack them with his weapon. A day that beginns like this can only go badder.

Attack with Heavy Mace.[roll2]
[roll3]

Bhaakon
2013-03-12, 05:44 PM
Round 3

With Karumbis gone, Eli is a free to call forth another ally, this time in the form of the dog. The canine latches on to the nearest skeleton's femur and gives it a savage shake, ripping the bone lose as the rest of the necromantic creation collapses into a heap.

Tequin finishes off the next skeleton to emerge from the hole, smashing its skull in with his mace before it can even stand. The third times its egress a bit better, bolting out of the vault before Tequin can recover and landing a blow heavy enough to rip through the cleric's armor.

@Tequin
4 damage

Map
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee498/Bhaakon/desnavault5.jpg

edit: D is the summoned dog, BTW

Rokku
2013-03-12, 05:57 PM
Alera stays back, waiting to see if she's needed, but othewise will conserve her resources. She's only got so many force bolts per day, after all.

Cleavon
2013-03-12, 06:14 PM
Salek

Seeing his chance to get some revenge for the hefty scars he was put through, Salek shoulders his way up to the thing and smashes at it with his axe.

Actions!

5 Foot step to F8, make one attack on the skeleton. Power attack active.

Attack!
[roll0]

Damage!
[roll1]

Halae
2013-03-12, 06:19 PM
Eli and the Pooch

Eli simply waits, allowing the dog to work for him.

Said dog attempts to back up Salek on fighting that last remaining skeleton.

in the last post, Eli took a 5-foot step back, putting him in D8. Sorry I didn't make that clear. The dog's position is fine though.

Dog:

Zefir
2013-03-13, 02:40 AM
That was unexpected for Tequin. A lesson he had to learn. If something miss you once, don't see yourself invulnerable. At least the mace seems to work fine.

I just hope this isn't a bad idea, he thinks as he starts another attack with his mace.

[roll0]
[roll1]

stack
2013-03-13, 07:25 AM
Right, another chance. Aim for the solid bits I suppose.Skeletons, bah! Rath steps to the side for a clear shot, then holds steady, careful to ensure his allies are not in the path of the ball.

[roll0] vs touch, PBS included
damage [roll1]

Bhaakon
2013-03-13, 05:20 PM
Rath's musket roars, and this time he smartly aims from the head insted of the normaly more reliable center mass shot. The skeleton's cranium explodes as the bullet tears through, showering everyone nearby with shards of bone. The remainder of the fleshless cadaver falls to the ground abruptly, like a marionette with its strings cut, and the scene in quiet.

"That the last one?" Hemlock asks Salek.

XP
81 xp each

Cleavon
2013-03-13, 05:23 PM
Salek

Finally easing his axe back down to his side he reached up to run his hand over the scratchy feeling of the freshly healed wound..magical healing fairly new to him. he had been healed by minor hedge witches before, but never such a large wound all at once. It was rather exhilarating to feel those furrows closed.

He turned to Hemlock with and gave him a nod.

"They were all I saw down there. Not much else either. Might do with another look though."

Halae
2013-03-13, 05:25 PM
Eli

the Terrier yups in joy at having been the cause of death for one of the skeletons, before Eli sends it back to its home plane.

"Tequin, could you help me for a moment? Kurambis was injured, and needs to be healed. It'll be a minute as I summon him, but he's still unconscous." If the cleric agrees, Eli will get started on his summoning ritual.

Bhaakon
2013-03-13, 07:00 PM
"Then we should go in for a closer look." Says Hemlock, as he casually flips his sword back into its sheath. "I don't suppose any of you has a torch or lantern."

Rokku
2013-03-13, 07:59 PM
"I've been meaning to work out a light spell," Alera says sheepishly, but you know... work."

stack
2013-03-13, 08:10 PM
Rath smiles to himself as the skeleton fall, but spares no time loading just the same. "No light on me. Didn't figure on needing a torch after breakfast." Strange bunch. Fight decent enough. Good to have a priest around too, if things go south.

Zefir
2013-03-14, 02:40 AM
The first thing Tequin does is leaning against the wall.

"At this rate, we might fight a dragon next week." he says a bit smiling.

Then he nods to Eli. " Sure, but let's wait for them to check things out. If they got hurt I can heal them as well"

Cleavon
2013-03-14, 02:53 AM
Salek

"I can head back in myself, I don't need light. There is some light in there though. A little murky but you guys might be able to see something. Other than that..I have a torch in my pack..but it's back with my horse."

Bhaakon
2013-03-14, 03:51 AM
"Take a look then, Salek" Hemlock orders. "I'd tell you not to touch anything, but I doubt there's any evidence in there the skeletons haven't disturbed. I'll go grab a torch from the cathedral. I doubt Zaltus will miss it." The Sheriff sprints off to get some light, burning off the adrenaline of battle in the process.

Salek ducks back into the vault, this time free to look around unmolested. There are five carved marble urns on granite plinths, two on each side wall and a larger, more elaborate one at the back of the crypt. The smaller four are untouched, but the one at the rear has been smashed open and most of its contents removed. A sifting of ash and charred bone shards sits in the base, all that remains of old Father Tobyn's body.

Salek is making a full sweep of the room, just noticing a discarded black robe in a corner when Hemlock returns with a torch and huffing, puffing Father Zaltus. "I mentioned the skeletons, and he demanded to follow me," explains the Sheriff, almost apologetically.

Cleavon
2013-03-14, 03:59 AM
Salek

Feeling a bit wary of touching the remains of someone important to the townsfolk he didn't try and ascertain anything else about the larger urn. He did though pick up the black cloak. Coming back out he presented the cloak to Hemlock as he returned.

"I'm sorry to tell you this Father, but they disturbed Father Tobyns Urn. This cloak was in a corner in there. Nothing else was disturbed that I could make out."

Bhaakon
2013-03-14, 04:27 AM
Father Zaltus rocks back on his feet at the news, but the exhausted cleric manages to avoid collapsing by steadying himself against the wall of the vault. "Disaster on disaster, Lucky Lady preserve me! Undead and grave theft are dire signs indeed. Dire!"

Hemlock's perpetual glower deepens at the news, "Yes, Father, which is exactly why you won't tell anyone. And that goes for all of you, as well. I don't know what possible use someone would have with a bucket of ashes, but the townsfolk are already nervous enough without rumors of necromancy on every tongue." He stares into each of your eyes for good measure, making sure to gets his point.

Once he's sure you understand the force of his command, the Sheriff continues. "This robe must have comes from whoever opened the tomb. Why leave a simple bit of clothing behind? Any ideas?"

stack
2013-03-14, 07:13 AM
Rath holds the sheriff's gaze and nods at his instruction.

"Careless...or deliberate. Find a hound to take the scent? Fire and goblins may have spoiled it, worth a shot."

Halae
2013-03-14, 09:03 AM
[Eli]

Eli nods to Tequin, "You're right, sorry."

He'll turn tohead down into the crypt to help with the search, but when Father Tobryn's body is mentioned to be disturbed, Eli speaks up, "It would appear we're dealing with someone who has a vendetta against the church, and is powerful enough coordinate an attack during the swallowtail festival, likely to disrupt consecrations. Look at Tobryn's Urn; whomever it was took a lot of the remains away. I couldn't say why; my specialization is in conjuration, not necromancy. But going for that body in particular suggests a personal connection to the the late priest, and it's likely the same person who burned down the church years ago." His red eyes glint in the darkness.

"Father Zaltus, are you capable of employing divinations? I have an idea of who may be behind this series of events, but I'd like to have more confirmation."

"As well, Sheriff Hemlock, I'd like to work with you if you're pursuing investigations into how the goblins got into town. If I can, I'd like to help."

Bhaakon
2013-03-14, 06:06 PM
The Sheriff considers Rath's suggestion, rubbing his chin as he thinks it through. "Hounds might be a good idea, but I can't send half the guard off after a cold trail at a time like this, especially if it leads to a nest of goblins. We've barely the numbers to patrol the town and keep the peace, and none to spare on such adventures. Indeed, part of the reason I asked you here was to see if I could ask you be my agents in the goblin matter."

He gives Eli's deductions a similarly measured appraisal. "You may well be right about that, but who? Tobyn's five years in the ground, and spent most of his life before that as a simple town priest. It will be difficult to run down his list of mortal enemies, if he even had one."

Zaltus shakes his head, "I spent years as Tobyn's disciple, and I don't think the man had a true enemy in town. He could be a strict man, but not hateful enough to inspire this kind of vengeance. Perhaps the threat is more general. The Song of the Spheres has many foes among the more unsavory faiths, those mad enough to follow Rovagug or Zon-Kuthon especially. I'm afraid the goddess hasn't granted me the divinations to expose the truth in this matter."

Halae
2013-03-14, 06:10 PM
Eli

Eli frowns, but nods, "Thank you anyways, Father," he lets out a sigh, "Alright, we should clear out and let the priests deal with this. It wouldn't do for us to muck something up in our ignorance." He's not speaking to Sheriff Hemlock at the moment, but the rest of the Swallowtail Heroes.

stack
2013-03-14, 07:57 PM
"Hold still, everyone." Rath furrows his brow as he walks in ever widening circle about the mausoleum, studying the ground for any trails that they have not already trampled in their rush to inspect the disturbance.

survival [roll0]

if that doesn't find anything, take 20

Bhaakon
2013-03-14, 09:15 PM
Rath takes his time, circling the vault deliberately so as not to miss even a slightest trace of evidence, but all does is confirm the initial impression of the scene: a half dozen goblins and human-sized being in boots scaled the town wall, broke into the vault, and climbed back out the way they'd come in.

Cleavon
2013-03-15, 12:29 AM
Salek

Watching Rath check the trail over again he nodded when the information was confirmed.

"Well Sheriff you can count me in. I've been itching for a chance to do something important, and this seems as important as anything! We got the trail from the wall to here and back...seems now all that's left is to see if we can pick up on the other side and follow it back to where they came from."

Zefir
2013-03-15, 02:27 AM
Tequin just listens to the new informations.

"Maybe the person left the black cloak on prupose. It may be a trap he wanted to lead hemlock and his man into?"

Then he turns to the father.

"Sadly, I know one kind of people who would do anything to harm the follower of Desna, but I can't figure out what the remains of a dead cleric can be of use for."

Bhaakon
2013-03-15, 02:30 AM
"The five of you storm a goblin warren? That's not exactly what I had in mind," says Hemlock. "But it may come to that, eventually."

No, I mean for you to track down the traitor in our midst. You saw the wagon, the tracks here, and the goblins I have locked up in the garrison keep screaming that their leader was 'some smelly longshanks.' Following the tracks here might be a start, but I'm more interested in you returning with a name than a bag of goblin ears.

Halae
2013-03-15, 06:08 AM
Eli

Eli nods in approval, "It's a better use of our time, certainly." he scratches his chin, "But three entry points... if it's just one person, he'd have to be fairly powerful, wouldn't he? To arrange it so the guards don't notice."

stack
2013-03-15, 07:28 AM
Rath scowled. Rather track an army of goblins and spend the afternoon yakking at people. Talk, cajole, insinuate, accuse, blah blah. I'm a hunter not a lawyer.

He looks over the little group, eyes landing on Alera. "People like talking to you."

Rokku
2013-03-15, 02:14 PM
Alera jumped at the sudden attention?

"They do? Um, alright I guess, though I don't really know where to start...

Alera considers all the evidence they've gathered so far and wracks her brain to try and get things to fall into place.

Knowledge: Arcana [roll0]
Knowledge: History [roll1]
Spellcraft [roll2]

Bhaakon
2013-03-15, 06:28 PM
Alera wracks her brain, but comes up empty. The pieces are just aren't clear enough to draw firm conclusions. All she can think is that the robe demands further scrutiny.

She takes a closer look at the garment. The cloth is unremarkable at first glance, the same coarse fabric a mendicant monk or novice scholar might wear. Under magical examination, though, it glows with the faintest whisp of a necromantic aura, which continues to slowly fade even as Alera watches. She's heard of such items before: a robe which stores a limited number of lesser undead in its folds. This robe of bones appears to be spent, however.

Rokku
2013-03-16, 02:36 PM
"This was a robe of bones," says Alera, "and it's all used up. That's why they left it behind, it made those skeletons and then was empty. We should talk to the local merchants and spellcasters. One of them might have sold it, or even made it."

Cleavon
2013-03-16, 02:40 PM
Salek

Listening to Alera, his eyes squinted a little bit.

"I've seen some magics done by experienced woodsmen in my day but nothing like that. Strange stuff. Created those skeletons? Those bastards did a number on my face...I'd like to meet the man who made it."

stack
2013-03-17, 12:54 PM
Rath gives a dark glare to the useless robe, then shrugs. He sighs, then speaks to the group generally, "Not good with talk. You want I should stick around, or shove off and get the fop out in the air? If we were tracking, I'd be a good hand. I don't know anything in town more than others do what live here."

Bhaakon
2013-03-17, 07:59 PM
With nothing more to be gleaned from the violated mausoleum, you decide to head back to the Rusty Dragon and plan your next move.

The town is starting to wake up in earnest as you head back. Shops are opening, and people are going about finishing whatever business was interrupted by the goblin raid the previous day. As you walk the streets, you begin to notice people pointing at you and whispering. The gist of the hushed conversations becomes apparent when one boy sprints up with a gaggle of his fellows and proclaims: "see, I told you. Those are the heroes!"

By the time you reach the Dragon, you're hands are sore from grateful shaking and Eli bears a handful of wildflowers given to him by a brash young girl of around six ("now he's my boyfriend," she loudly announced to her friends and everyone else in a hundred yard radius).

It's something of a relief to find the Rusty Dragon less than half full. Ameiko is sitting in a corner booth conversing over tea with a leather-clad elf, leaving the barkeeping duties to an older halfling woman. A young man at the door--he introduces himself as Sandru--serves as a sort of bouncer, polity insisting that non-customers find something better to do than gawk at the Swallowtail heroes.

Aldern Foxglove, much the worse for wear from last night's drinking, hunches over a plate heaped high with eggs and greasy breakfast meats. The drowsy, hangover nobleman doesn't even notice your entrance.

Halae
2013-03-17, 08:55 PM
Eli

When flowers are given to him, Eli stands baffled. Utterly baffled. He's half-drow. People don't trust drow. What was this about a boyfriend? It made no sense!

Assuming the others cajole him into keeping pace with them, he'll manage to get to the Rusty Dragon just behind of the main group. He keeps his hat low over his eyes, embarrassed by all the attention.

Once they arrive at the Dragon though, Eli just sits down and sort of stares at the flowers, his brain still going in that circular pattern in had been before.

Rokku
2013-03-18, 01:00 AM
Alera takes the cloak and presents to to Ameiko.

"Pardon me Ameiko, but you've been around. We found this spent Robe of Bones in the graveyard. Any idea where someone might have gotten it near here?"

Zefir
2013-03-18, 04:08 AM
On the way through the people Tequin tries to bring the people to desna, by telling them it that she brought them here in time.

As Eli get's the flowers, Tequin places himself next to him.
"Seems like you have a good reason to come bak in 10 years." he sais with a smile.

In the Inn Tequin greets Ameiko and wonders who she takes to. The person must be special, since Ameiko leaves the duties to someone else, he assumes.

stack
2013-03-18, 07:23 AM
Rath stalks over to Foxglove, giving him a long, appraising look. Night was too much for him. Might not be leaving town anyhow. Well, full pay tomorrow suits me well enough.

He grabs a chair, deliberately strapping it along the floor before sitting, speaking just too loudly, with feigned cheeriness, "Morning, Sir! Fine mornign for a hunt, if I do say?"

Then, more softly, as if just realizing the other man's state, "Sorry sir, if you aren't up for it today, I'm certain we could reschedule. Just a few silver for the lost time, no problem at all."

some like to RP drunks. Some like to RP annoying those with hangovers.

Bhaakon
2013-03-18, 05:56 PM
Aldren looks up from his plate of hangover food with a start and a wince, both startled and pained by the amplitude of Rath's uncharacteristically chipper greeting. "Huh? Oh, Rath. Yes, the hunt. I suppose it is a bit later than first light. I'm still ready to go out today, once I've finished my breakfast here. I'll dispatch Craesby to fetch those horses we were talking about, if you're still willing."

__________________________________________________ __________

Across the room, Alera approaches Ameiko with the robe. The elf cuts off her side of the conversation and takes a long draw from her tea as the young woman approaches, apparently intent on keeping whatever she and Ameiko were discussing private.

Ameiko initially seems a bit ruffled at the interruption, "how many time have I said not to interrupt us when we're talking...." she finally turns around to see Alera, "Oh, it's you. Eh? A robe of bones, you say? No legitimate merchant in Sandpoint would stock that kind of thing, and even the Sczarni would balk. Word travels fast in a small town, you know? A reputation for dealing in necromancy isn't exactly good for business. There are enough dark back allies in Magnimar or Riddleport to get away with it, but not in Sandpoint."

stack
2013-03-18, 07:24 PM
So much for getting off easy. "Of course. It will be a bit of a hike to the best grounds. Best eat a hearty breakfast." May as well have some fun of it. Rath gives his best 'I'm just an eager servant' smile, reserved for the best paying customers. It doesn't reach within a mile of his eyes. "I'll be checking the kit before we go then, if you'll excuse me."

He stands, stopping by the other 'heroes'. "I'll try to see if this one knows anything while we're out. Seems doubtful, but he has servants and such. Who knows? Don't do anything too dangerous till I get back." Then he heads out to inspect his customer's gear.

Halae
2013-03-18, 07:41 PM
Eli

"No promises," Eli says with a chuckle, and he turns to Ameiko, "If you don't mind, could I get some food? It doesn't really matter what, as long as it's delicious and meaty."

Bhaakon
2013-03-18, 08:59 PM
"Capital!" Aldern responds to Rath, a spark of his earlier enthusiasm returning. "I'll just go check with Alera once I'm done eating. I'm sure she'll be excited to go."
__________________________________________________ ____________

Ameiko waves off Eli's request for food. "I'm just a customer chatting with a friend, at the moment," she explains. "Ask Bethana if you want anything, and she'll put the spurs to the kitchen for you."

"Oh, but wait before you do." She adds, beckoning Eli back before he can waive down the old halfling. "I was just telling Shalelu here," the elven woman raised her mug in a casual greeting, "about your role in the attack yesterday."

"Always good to see someone else willing and able to put a few goblins to the sword," Shalelu smiles grimly before continuing at length. "I've dedicated the last several years of my life to keeping them from causing too much trouble around these parts, but they're tenacious and fecund little runts. Like weeds that bite."

"I stumbled over the tail end of their retreat, and decided to come back into town to report what I observed. It's rather unusual, really. There are five major goblin tribes in the region, and, traditionally, they're pretty good at keeping each other in line with inter-tribal squabbles and the like. Yet from what I've been able to piece together, members of all five tribes were involved in the raid.

A fair number of the Mosswood goblins I dealt with yesterday were already pretty beat up, an d there was a lot of chatter about the 'longshanks' who killed so many of them. Now that I've met you, it seems obvious from their descriptions who they were talking about. Seems like you've made an impression.

In any event, the fact that the five tribes are working together disturbs me. Goblin tribes don't get along unless they've got something big planned, and big plans require big bosses. I 'm afraid that someone's moved in on the goblins and organized them. And judging by these recent raids, what they're organizing seems like bad news for all of us.

I tried to talk with Belor this morning, but he was out dealing with something or other. I'll try again at the garrison once I've finished my tea."

Rokku
2013-03-18, 09:33 PM
"That's what we were dealing with," says Alera, "Sheriff Hemlock called on our help investigating a grave robbery. It looks like whoever's organizing the goblins robbed Father Tobryn's grave. They left behind this robe and the skeletons it spawned. The Sheriff has asked us to look into it, and while by the gods I'd rather be balancing ledgers right now I'm not going to let the town down."

Alera notices everyone at the table is staring at her and clears her throat.

"Um. Sorry. Rambling. Shalelu do you think you could help us find where the goblins are gathering? If multiple tribes have been pulled together by a non-goblin, they must have some base of operations. Maybe even near town, with the way they attacked."

Bhaakon
2013-03-18, 10:09 PM
Shalelu shakes here head. "If only it were so easy. I spent some time following their trails last night. They gathered in a staging area before the assault, but they each fled back to their individual tribal villages. The Birdmunchers back to their caves in Devil's Platter, the Licktoads back to Brinestump marsh, the Seven Tooths to Shank's Wood, and Mosswoods and Thistletops back to their eponymous haunts."

"As to which, if any, houses their leadership, your guess is as good as mine, though I know a bit of heroes. Goblins don't live long, you see, with all that filth and violence, so any that survive to a certain age reach a sort of mythical status. It could be that one of them is riling the tribes, or being used to rile them."

Rokku
2013-03-19, 01:49 AM
"Are there any that come to mind? Our only other lead right now would be trying to follow tracks from the grave robbery, but who knows how long that trail has been cold."

Cleavon
2013-03-19, 01:57 AM
Salek

Seeing Alera talking to the woman that had brought them food the last night, Salek noticed the conversation at the table became rather in depth. Never one to interrupt he instead made his way over to Rath, hearing the end of Foxgloves proclamation that there would indeed be a hunt that day.

He settled in and gave a chuckle at Foxgloves repeated mentioning of their sleep casting sorceress...the man certainly was developing an obsession.

"Well gentlemen, I suppose I won't be much good here in town. A little hunting should do me nicely though. I'm not sure who all will be coming but I bet we can bring back some fair game regardless."

Bhaakon
2013-03-19, 02:09 AM
Shalelu takes another long draw from her tea, using the time to order her thoughts. "Big Gugmut of Mosswood is, well, big--half-hobgoblin, it's said--but not smart. Neither is Koruvus. He's mostly just famous for running around with a magic sword sized for an elf or a man, and I hear that he went missing some months back. Vorka is a loner and a cannibal, so I doubt it's her doing, and Chief Gutwad is probably too fat to squeeze out of his hovel in Brinestrump swamp. Ripnugget is ambitious, I think, but his base at Thistletop is also the farthest from Sandpoint."

Really, though, it's hard to imagine any of them organizing all the tribes. Maybe an alliance of two or three, for a few weeks, before they're back at each others throats, but I just thing the ankle-biters have it in them to unite five clans."

Maybe a powerful outsider, like Bruthazmuth could do it. He's a cagey bugbear who raids caravans up near Nettlewood. He's known to trade with the goblins, and he's strong enough to bully them if he wants. I've crossed blades with that monster a few times myself, and been lucky to escape with my life." Her mood darkens and her brow knits as she describes her losses to the bugbear, clearly they rankle the elf.

Zefir
2013-03-19, 02:20 AM
Tequin listens closly to the story from Shalelu and tries to get all the informations she offers. He tries to keep his voice a bit down as he speaks to prevent getting to much attention

"I'm sorry, but there must be a longshank involved." He chuckles a bit by using the foreign word. "With the informations you offer us, it seems this person is trying to get some strength around the town, but why? Was there any big event in the near past, where a person called revenge over the town?"

Bhaakon
2013-03-19, 02:42 AM
Shalelu shrugs, "I'm not in town but once or twice a season. Sandpoint gossip and politics aren't really my bailiwick"

Ameiko seems more knowledgeable, but no more helpful, "I can't think of anyone. Sandpoint is just a sleepy fishing town, not a center of power or trade. No one would profit from its downfall."

Halae
2013-03-19, 12:07 PM
Eli

The half-drow shrugs, "Then it's obvious. Our culprit is based out of Magnimaar. Nobody can think of anybody in Sandpoint who'd do it, nobody in Sandpoint sells a robe of bones, we know it was done by a "Longshanks"." he makes air quotes, even, "and the fact that it's not exactly a center of power means there's one of two things going on. The first is it's possible that there's someone out there with a grudge against the town, particularly someone who was related to the old church of Desna before it was burned down; possibly late Father Tobryn's daughter, or one of the acolytes. This is, of course, assuming any of them survived."

"The other option is that there's something we don't know about here. Thasillonian ruins tend to get buried, and it's entirely possible that somethiing important is buried beneath the town that we simply aren't aware of. Without more information to go on, however, these are just shots in the dark. Educated guesses, mind, but still."

"What is for certain, though, is that something happened with the goblins. They were let into town; why didn't the guards spot them?" He scratches his chin, "I think I'm going to go speak to Sheriff Hemlock if you need me." And he'll stand, before moving towards the door. The group will have a chance to stop him if they want to speak, of course.

Bhaakon
2013-03-19, 08:26 PM
"I'll go with you," says Shalelu, pushing away from the table to follow Eli. "I need to talk with him anyway."

The pair, and any who wish to go with them, find the Sheriff slumped over a desk at the city garrison, snoring loudly. Sleeping on the job is normally an offense that would land a guardsmen in the stocks for an afternoon, but no one is brazen enough to enforce the rule against the Sheriff, particularly given the circumstances.

Shalelu gives the man a shove, then another when the first doesn't have the desired effect. "Huh?! What? Uh, just doing some paperwork."

stack
2013-03-19, 08:30 PM
Rath waits outside for Foxglove, checking his musket carefully to pass the time.

Bhaakon
2013-03-19, 08:42 PM
Foxglove slowly works his way through the meal, giving his footman Craesby enough time to run off to the Goblin Squash Stables and fetch a mount for all who want to go. He returns leading the horses as Aldren emerges from the Dragon, ready to hunt.

"I have a good feeling about today, very good." He says to Rath, "we can't help but succeed with an expert on our side."

That's right, the group is splitting. BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! CHOOSE YOUR SIDE!

Rokku
2013-03-19, 09:17 PM
Alera leaves with the folks visiting the sheriff.

Cleavon
2013-03-19, 09:29 PM
Salek

Salek made sure to follow Foxglove out, sure to be more useful on the hunt than in questioning people in town.

He sat quietly while the horses were fetched and got his crossbow ready and made sure it was in full working order.

Bhaakon
2013-03-19, 10:32 PM
Foxglove wilts a bit as Alera declines to join the hunt, but he puts on his best face for the others. "Well let us be off then, I've wasted enough daylight, I think. Truly sorry about that."

still waiting for Tequin

Halae
2013-03-20, 12:56 AM
Eli

Eli chuckles and takes off his hat, "You know that's going to give you insomnia, right?"

"Anyways, I was hoping to speak to you about how the goblins got into the village. I'm afraid someone may have either paid off the guards or someone with a fair amount of influence in the city is manipulating events."

Bhaakon
2013-03-20, 01:11 AM
Hemlock's about to go into a long-winded explanation about mechanics of resting one's eyes and the fundamental difference between such a responsible, professional activity and sleep (no matter the superficial similarities), but your suggestion stops him short.

"That's one heck of a conclusion, Eli," he says with a grave tone. "The local aristocrats: the Valdemars, the Deverins, the Scarnettis, the Kaijitsus," the pause for emphasis, "never mind the guards. Those aren't allegations you want to throw around without hard evidence."

Halae
2013-03-20, 01:25 AM
Eli

He shakes his head, "I'm not accusing anybody, at least not yet. Honestly, I hope I'm wrong. But I think this is something that needs to be looked into; we know from the boot prints in the crypt and the wagon that someone human sized is helping the goblins, right? Well, the question of how the three groups of goblins got into the city remains. If we know where the points they got in from are, we can follow whatever threads are left back to their source, and that should give us our answer."

Zefir
2013-03-20, 02:36 AM
So Tequin can decide between hunting and speak with Hemlock. Not a very hard to decide, he thinks as he follows his way to Hemlock. This way he might directly serve his god.

At Hemlock, he listens to Eli and his guess, a brow rising up. He himself can't see a connection here, but Eli proofed to spend more thoughts into things than him.

"I think there is at least one thing we might take into account. If Eli heads into the right direction, the person knew about the attack and I in this case would avoid appearing on it."

Bhaakon
2013-03-20, 03:38 AM
Hunting Group

The four of you, Salek, Rath, Foxglove, and Craesby, mount up and ride out the north gate. Foxglove, as is his wont, does his best to entertain his guests with various stock small talk topics and snippets of gossip. Magnimar politics, the many difficulties of managing a country manor, the relative merits of various Chelaxian vintners, his topics are as varied as they are droll, and many turn out to be roundabout ploys to fish for information about Alera. "Surely you know her favorite vintage...I hear she the books for her family's shipyards, I bet she'd be great at running a household...I'm sure she'd be a hit in the Lord-Mayor's court."

It's really rather embarrassing, and even the stoic Creasby struggles to hide his annoyance with his employer's behavior. It's something of a relief when you turn past the last jagged ridge of the Ravenroost hills and come upon site of your hunt: game-rich Tickwood Forest.

City Group

"Well, I'd advise you to keep your speculations to yourself as you track those threads down. Either you're wrong, and you're spreading malicious rumor, or you're right and warning your quarry." Hemlock advises while stifling a yawn.

Seeing her opportunity, Shalelu cuts in to give the Sheriff the same information she shared with you earlier. As she finishes her report, an insistent fist bangs loudly at the door, and a woman carrying an infant and dragging a shrieking young boy pushes her way into Hemlock's increasingly crowded office.

"Sheriff, someone, you must help!" She drags the boy forward, brandishing his bare arm to everyone who will look. Several wide arcs of jagged teeth marks mar the child's flesh, bites you normally wouldn't have been able to identify, except that you'd seen so many of them just the night before: goblins.

stack
2013-03-20, 08:06 AM
Rath does his best to shut out his employer's incessant patter, lest the muzzle of his gun start looking too friendly. He nods and shakes his head as seems appropriate while keeping an eye out for trails and signs, even a bored squirrel, anything for a distraction. Even if I knew Alera that well I wouldn't say anything. She's a girl from town, its not like we get together to yak about wine and the styles at court!

The imposing green finally stretching before them, he pulls up. "Here we are," at last, "The Tickwood. Still game for boar, or would you prefer stag? I will walk ahead and seek signs." He dismounts, handing the reigns to Craesby, and unslings his weapon, ready to head forward once the decision is made.

survival [roll0]

Cleavon
2013-03-20, 08:09 AM
Salek

Salek made small intrusions into the conversation, mostly to appease Alderns need for conversing. He said little of Alera since he barely knows her and once they have made it to the Tickwood he unslung his crossbow and fit a quarrel into it.

He waited for Rath to do the tracking, knowing that the man had been hired as the main hunter, he was simply tagging along for the time being.

Halae
2013-03-20, 11:27 AM
Eli

The half-drow's face darkens, "Show us where it is; you can explain the situation on the way," Kurambis is still down for now. As bad as that is, it's better than it could be. He still has creatures he can summon, though he'd prefer the eidolon's help here instead.

Another one inside the walls? A straggler that wasn't killed last night? Hmm...

Bhaakon
2013-03-21, 12:08 AM
Hunt

Tickwood lives up to its reputation, within an hour you're on a relatively fresh trail. The size of the hoof marks, the extensive rooting, the broken branches at waist-height, there's not mistaking that this is a large boar. It will make for a fine feast, if you can catch up before it's time to return home.

The trail leads you through the bush, a prospect your horses aren't thrilled about, but you coax them forward. At least it's leaving an obvious trail to follow, with so much undergrowth to disturb...until the tracks merge with a dry stream. The dessicated mud lining waterway has dried as hard as mortar between the rounded stones of the creek bed, leaving a surface quite similar to a cobbled road. You'll have to take your time here, searching for more subtle clues or the spot the boar exited the dry wash.

Another survival check, plz

CITY

"Yes, please hurry. Who knows how my dear husband Alergast fairs!" She shrieks as you follow her from the garrison at a run. It's all her boy can do to keep up with the woman as she sprints along, dragging him by the mangled arm. "We should have listen to Aeren, but how could we have known? He's always telling goblin tales to get attention. We checked under his bed, but there was nothing there." She works her story out between labored breaths. Carrying the children across the town and back at a dead sprint is clearly starting to get to her.

"Then this morning we heard the dog barking and howling, and it lets out the most pitiable whine and Aeren begins to shout. Alergast burst into Aeren's room, ready to give the boy a belting for his nonsense, but he was telling the truth this time, by Desna. There were three of the fiends biting his arm and trying to drag him from bed. They dove for the closet when they saw Alergast, and I grabbed the kids and came to fetch the Sheriff." It is at this point that you realize that you've lost the sheriff. The exhausted man fell behind some blocks back, and you can no longer see him.

Cleavon
2013-03-21, 12:37 AM
Salek

Sliding down from his horse, Salek makes himself useful. He stays mostly out of Raths way but uses his keen sense of nature to assist the musketeer in finding the trail of their future meal.

Survival

Attempting to aid Rath with his Survival check.

[roll0]

Zefir
2013-03-21, 04:34 AM
Tequin starts follwing the woman immediatelly. There is no time to hesitate, since the marks on the boys arm.

"Then we should hurry even more. Do you think your husband is able to stand against the goblins until we arrive?"

Bhaakon
2013-03-21, 05:10 AM
City

"I hope...he...had the sense...to follow...me... out!" The terrified woman pants between labored breaths. "But I don't... see...him." She's near collapsing, but fortunately you seem to have reached your destination.

She's lead you to a house on Water Street, near the Hagfish. It sits near the waterfront in the South-West corner of town, about as far away as once can get from the North gate or the bridges to the East. It's easy to see how some of the goblins could have gotten trapped here, with no way to escape but fighting through the heart of the town or swimming Sandpoint Harbor.

stack
2013-03-21, 07:06 AM
Rath, now in his element, loses himself to the hunt. Broken branches, footprints, droppings, partially eaten plants, all are mark the trail he follows. He gives Salek a grunt and a nod of appreciation, glad for the extra set of eyes.

survival [roll0] (taking 10 for 16 (+2 aid another = 18) if possible)

Halae
2013-03-21, 11:48 AM
Eli

The summoner frowns. Despite their size, a trio of goblins weren't something you wanted to go up against alone. If he hadn't made it out...

Eli says, "Wait here then. We'll come get you when the danger is past." Before he moves into the house, presumably with Alera and Tequin following.

Bhaakon
2013-03-21, 12:14 PM
Hunt

Rath and Salek dismount and pace out both banks of the wash for several dozen yards in each direction, but neither find the boar's point of egress.

As the minutes tick by, Aldren becomes antsy, obviously unused to such a serious hunt. "It's been a jolly chase, fellows, but perhaps its time to break out the wineskins. I've this surprisingly sweet Taldan red that I'm sure you'll..." He trails off as Rath signals for quiet.

The gunslinger has finally found a sign, of sorts. A bowshot upstream of the riders there are the faintest of boar prints stamped on the cobble in dried mud, several different sets, and all heading back downstream. They get fainter as they go, disappearing entirely between Rath's position and the horses.

City

The door squeals loudly as you open it, the only noise to be heard in the eerily silent home. "Please get my Alergast back safe!" Shouts the woman from the street, finally catching her breath, "second door on the left!"

You follow her directions, finding the door ajar. The inside is a mess, the bedding upended and bloodstained. A motley little terrier lies dead in front of the half-closed closet, blood from its single jagged stab wound draining through the gaps in the plank floor.

stack
2013-03-21, 12:26 PM
Hunt - Rath

The hunter turns to Foxglove, "Would you give up so soon? I have found a trail. Several sets of prints. We are in the right place. A bit further on and we may spot our quarry. Be ready, and silent." Too much to ask, I'm certain. He nods to Salek to continue with the tracking before stalking forward in a wary crouch.

survival [roll0]
stealth [roll1]

Cleavon
2013-03-21, 02:06 PM
Salek

Raising a hand and clapping it down on Alderns shoulder lightly the Half-Orc grinned.

"Don't worry. we'll drink your taldan red over the corpse of a boar or two soon enough. Keep it ready."

Interested in seeing if Salek can spot anything Rath hasn't, he uses some of the techniques he used to employ in the mushfens and looks for any further sign.

Survival

[roll0]

Trying an independent survival roll for giggles.

Bhaakon
2013-03-21, 02:18 PM
Hunt

Salek finds that it's much harder to track in places where it's not constantly damp and miserable. Hardpan just doesn't hold a print like a bog does.

Rokku
2013-03-21, 05:59 PM
"Poor thing," says Alera, kneeling down next to the fallen dog. She keeps her eyes wide open, alert for any danger.

Perception [roll0]

Halae
2013-03-21, 07:44 PM
Eli

Eli frowns at the dog, but scans the room quickly. He moves his hands, and a golden viper will appear on the ground in front of him.

"Check the room for any signs of goblins, then report. The bed and the closet in particular."

The viper will slither off to follow orders, first checking on, under, and around the bed, before slithering into the closet.

Using summon monster again.

Zefir
2013-03-22, 02:44 AM
Tequin takes only a short look over the room. No man? he asks himself as no body can be seen.

"He must be in the closet. Watch the dead later. We need to save the man, if he is still alive."

Even if the dog would be still alive, Tequin would head for the man first. His wife appeared to be a follower of Desna and so does his man, Tequin assumes.
He will then head for closet, not waiting for the snakes report. Shield and weapon in hand he awaits the worst.

Halae
2013-03-22, 03:19 PM
Eli

Eli will attempt to place a hand on Tequin's shoulder, "Don't. The snake will only be sent to his home if he dies. You, on the other hand have a lot of people you can help, and I won't have you walking blindly into an ambush."

Bhaakon
2013-03-22, 04:02 PM
City

The snake slithers under the bed, negotiating an army of dust bunnies under the command of some old socks, but no goblins. Following Eli's orders, it weaves through the cracked closet door and disappears within. After a few moments the snake re-emerges and coils in front of the closet, awaiting its next directive.

Meanwhile, Alera kneels over the unfortunate little dog, its body still warm. Try as she might, she can't rip her eyes from the animals wide wound and the puddle of blood, slowly congealing into crimson molasses, as it drips through a wide chink in the ill-fitting boards. It takes her a moment to notice the beady yellow eye staring back up at her from beneath the floor.

Hunt

Rath and Salek conduct a second, more exhaustive search for fresh signs, but come up with no new evidence. Just the copious muddy prints originating upstream and petering out as they head downstream. They're left with a simple choice: follow the direction o those tracks, trace them to their origin, or leave the dry wash and hope to pick up the trail again elsewhere.

Cleavon
2013-03-22, 07:23 PM
Salek

Pulling back and hoping for an offered drink from Foxglove Salek turns and looks to Rath. He was the one hired to hunt, so he plans easily to defer to what he wants to do.

"What do you think Rath? That boar had to go somewhere."

Rokku
2013-03-23, 03:53 AM
Ever so slowly Alera turns back to the group and points at the floor while mouthing, "They're underneath the house."

stack
2013-03-23, 01:17 PM
"They aren't accustomed to flight. Let's keep on straight." Rath leads the way downstream.

Zefir
2013-03-23, 01:48 PM
Tequin wouldn't mind running into an ambus, if this saves the man. But he is stoped and actions happened.
Then Alera makes strange moves. And Tequin just looks back with a very confused expression.

"What?"

Bhaakon
2013-03-23, 06:04 PM
Hunt

Rath decides to lead the group downstream, the direction of travel for the few tracks he found. It's slow going, as the horses must be lead across the uneven surface of the dried creek bed, and Aldren begins taking long draws from his wineskin to pass the time. After an hour of walking, you come to the upper level of a modest waterfall. It's only a ten foot drop to the muddy puddle below (the only moisture you've seen in the wash so far), but it might as well be a hundred foot, glass-smooth cliff for the horses.
__________________________________________________ ___________

City

The yellow eye blinks as Alera makes her signals, and lets out a low, warbling hum that quickly builds to a shrieking warcry. It jabs the blade of its dog slice through the gap in the floor, and Alera just yanks back her hand before the tip of the rust blade drives through it.

There's some kind of commotion from within the closet, and something inside knocks the door completely open. It's the body of a man, but everything from the waist up is jammed in a jagged hole hacked into the floor. The legs jerk and twist as the goblins heave the corpse out of the hole, revealing a ghastly site: the flesh has been torn away from the face and arms in jagged strips and chunks, the combined work of jagged goblin blades and impatient jaws.

The first goblin crawls out of the hole.

No map for this battle. There's one goblin in the closet, then the snake, then Alera, then Eli and Tequin at the door (plus two goblins under the floorboard, one of which is directly below Alera). It's not a very big room, so you're all close to each other. The snake can take a 5ft step to get into melee range, but everyone else will require a move action (either because they're more than 10 ft away, or because they're still on their hands and knees).

Halae
2013-03-23, 06:15 PM
[Eli]

Seeing the knife, Eli springs into action, and goes to touch Alera on the head. if successful, she should suddenly find herself cloaked in an invisible field of force.

The snake, its purpose clear, strikes out at the goblin before it!

Eli will cast mage armor on Alera, being a bit of a do-gooder who wants to help the woman *cough*

As for the snake, he'll take a 5-foot movement to get into range of the goblin in front of him, before attacking

The damage roll is 1d2-2, so it'll deal only 1 regardless of how well it hits. for 2 if it's a critical. The real danger to the goblin is the poison, even if it's not a very strong poison.

Roll Fort vs DC 9 or lose 1d2 constitution. Every round this save is failed is another round where the goblin has to make it, up to a max of 6 rounds. Though, nothing says we can't stack poisons with themselves.

Rokku
2013-03-23, 09:07 PM
Alera rolls away from the crack in the floor and flings a force bolt at the goblin coming out of the closet.

Attack [roll0] Damage [roll1]