PDA

View Full Version : The Meltwater Tragedy - IC

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-02, 01:57 AM
The Meltwater Tragedy

The howling was constant. Inside, dogs barked and fell silent, children whimpered from hunger or laughed at the faces their parents made to distract them; low voices rose and fell in worry or reassurance, and muttered accusations trailed off into unspoken threats. Outside, howling was all there was, rising and falling with the wind but always present, always there to remind the survivors of the frozen hell outside the thick walls of the church.

Inside it was warm, a heat coming as much from the press of frightened people as from low fires burning in the hearth. Now and again a billow of freezing air would wash across them as the great wooden doors came open, flurries of snow melting across the snow as the bolder souls came and went from what remained of the village outside. Every new arrival brought with it a flurry of quickly dashed hopes. Has the storm broken? Did you find any food? Did you see anyone out there?

For housing a group with so many secrets, the church offered little privacy. Each family had staked out there own little section of floor, walling off their territory with blankets strung across laundry lines tied between the sconces. These offered some little shelter from prying eyes, but nothing could hide the sounds. Every furtive whisper, every sobbing widdow, every hushed argument was laid out for all to hear, in tone if not in content. Over the last two weeks, secrets had fallen as fast as houses. Just three nights ago, a young man from the Karrel family was caught with one of the Bresson daughters, coupling under a pile of blankets; three noses were broken before anyone managed to seperate the screaming parents.

Most of the Bressons were away at the inn when it happened. Brother Jericho and Canthus were in the office discussing plans; Justin was chatting amiably with one of the Fishers, and Azazel was prowling in the corner. It started with baleful looks, and then with whispers, Edward Karrel speaking a few words in the ear of one of his brothers, and then another, and soon a group of the family split off, closing in on the remaining Bressons from across the room. Clumsily-hung blankets were torn aside as the men pushed through, Edward’s brothers screening for him as he strode up to the Widow Bresson, grabbing her by the shoulders and driving her back against the cold stone wall, angry voice carrying throughout the church.

“You’ve been hoarding food, you lying scum. I’m done watching my daughter starve. You’ve been hoarding food, and you’re going to tell us where.”

ArcturusV
2013-03-02, 02:49 AM
Justin had been chatting with one of the younger Fishers, hearing about their Grandmother's recovery, nodding along, offering the occasional word of condolences or well wishing as appropriate. But it was all starting to drone in his mind. The young Fisher had been repeating himself for a bit. Least it sounded like he was repeating himself. It wasn't all that important. There wasn't much he could do. He was nice enough, but the stress was getting to everyone. Justin was no exception. He had been fidgeting a lot all day. Spending far too much time cleaning his tools, even though he had no real cause to use them. Part of him wanted to just strip off his clothes and run around naked in the blizzard just for the hell of having something to do. He couldn't remember being stuck in one place, in one building, for as long as this since... ever.

He nodded again in assurance, "Yeah. She'll be fine. Da shinies from da church are taking real good care of her. All da sick ones really," Justin assured the Fisher boy for what was the third... or sixth? Was it sixth? Maybe ninth time. It was then that the scuffle drew his attention. Justin stared over at the ruckus. Something different. Something strange. Why were they roughing up an old lady?

Justin stood up from where he was, hands balled at his side. He was about to take a step towards the situation when he felt something scuttling over his left boot. He looked down, seeing Jillian clacking away at him. He nodded slowly at the familiar, relaxing his stance a little.

"Hey Eddy.... what's that about food?"

rgrekejin
2013-03-02, 10:59 AM
Azazel's ears perk up at the sounds of the ruckus. He winds his way out of the corner where he'd been prowling, idly hoping that more mice may be somewhere in the walls. He'd been sating his hunger by snacking on rodents since the food situation got desperate. If things got much worse, he'd have to take to climbing the walls at night looking for spiderwebs or something, a notion which wasn't appealing even to a cat.

He knew that he still had five days worth of trait rations in his backpack, but in order to access it, he'd have to turn back into human form, something he was not keen to do, at least not while all these people were around. He'd hoped to just ride the storm out here and be on his way, but the longer it went on, the more he became convinced that this was not a natural weather anomaly, and potentially something far more sinister. It was becoming apparent that he couldn't just wait for the storm to blow over. Azazel decided that the next time he could catch one of the Holy Men alone, he'd share his thoughts (and his food) with him. Better to reveal himself to one of the calmer, more rational people left here than transform in the middle of the church. Cat Lord knows how the villagers would react to that.

Azazel snaked his way between the boots of the Karrel brothers, taking up a place near the Widow Bresson. If no one else interfered here, he'd transform and make sure things didn't get too far out of hand, but that was really his last resort. Fortunately for him, it looked like the odd man accompanied by the little crab was stepping in. Azazel stood near the Widow's side and waited to see what happened next.

Mike_the_Mystic
2013-03-02, 11:29 AM
Brother Jericho had been reading texts that the church could provide. Texts on the local weather for the past century, texts on local legends and superstition, anything he could find that could explain the storm. He had been tracking a vampire coven with Canthus, a fellow follower of Heironeous, when he had been caught in Meltwater at the onset of this freak snowstorm. Something had to be behind it, something unnatural. Of that Brother Jericho was certain. When he heard the scuffle, he quickly grabbed his morning star and turned to Brother Canthus.

"Looks like there's another fight happening Brother" He said in his usually calm tone "Time to put an end to it."

He quickly descended to the scene of the fight and with a loud, booming voice he barked "PEACE, PEACE BE WITH YOU!"

pife
2013-03-02, 12:27 PM
Canthus realized with a start that one can sleep standing up, as he attempted to focus on this, the latest challenge. Shaking his head to clear it, and ignoring the burning ache in his belly, Canthus darted after Brother Jericho.

His eyes scan the crowded room for the source of the commotion. When he sees the knot of Karrels standing near where the Bresson's made their paltry pallets, he went on high alert. Catching a glimpse of an old woman pinned to the wall behind a screen of Karrel brothers, a low growl escapes his throat and he rushes to her side, attempting to push past all in his path as he seeks to wrench Edward Karrel away from Widow Bresson.

WHAT MADNESS BE THIS?!?!

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-02, 12:54 PM
More Karrels were already closing in from across the room when the priests burst from their office. Two of Karrel's brothers moved to block the Paladin's path, shoving against him as he tried to force his way past them. On the far side of the church, one of the Bresson children made a break for the doors, only to be tackled by one of the Karrels, a lanky boy only a few years the Bresson's elder.

At the center of the commotion, Edward Karrel spared a cold glance around the room, angry eyes settling on Brother Jericho. To hell with your peace, we want food." he growled, renewing his grip on the old Karrel woman before continuing. "This isn't your town, and this isn't your fight... best go back in your office, and when you come out in a few minutes, this will all be settled."

Nearby, one of the older Karrels laid a hand on Justin's shoulder, speaking to him, not unkindly. "Edward knows what he's doing, boy," he said, a grim look in his soft eyes. "Just sit back down."

Canthus, strength check to push past them.

pife
2013-03-02, 01:03 PM
Canthus lowers his shoulder and attempts to split the gap between them. He doesn't want to see anyone injured here, if he can help it, but that ship may have sailed.

[roll0]

rgrekejin
2013-03-02, 01:14 PM
Nearby, one of the older Bressons laid a hand on Justin's shoulder, speaking to him, not unkindly. "Edward knows what he's doing, boy," he said, a grim look in his soft eyes. "Just sit back down."

Wait, one of the Bressons said that? If that's the case, Azazel is inclined to keep watching. Maybe the Karrels really are on to something.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-02, 01:20 PM
Wait, one of the Bressons said that? If that's the case, Azazel is inclined to keep watching. Maybe the Karrels really are on to something.

D'oh. That was supposed to be a Karrel, give me a second.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-02, 01:24 PM
The Karrels who blocked Canthus's path had accounted for the Paladin's strength, but not his wrath-driven determination. One of them staggered backwards as he was pushed aside; the other stumbled for a few steps before tripping over the fallen blankets and landing heavily on his back.

rgrekejin
2013-03-02, 01:28 PM
Azazel turns to face Edward, arches his back, and lets out a long, loud "Hisssssssssssssssssss!"

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-02, 01:30 PM
Watching from the edge of the commotion, one of the Ives raises a perplexed eyebrow at Azazel before turning to his companion. "Why haven't we eaten the cats, yet?"

pife
2013-03-02, 01:31 PM
Canthus continues his trajectory. His only goal at this time, to separate Edward Karrel from Widow Bresson. Only then will we be able to make sense of this situation. Word, not fists, will be needed to resolve this issue, and Canthus has some scathing remarks for many, if not most, in the town for their childish and dangerous games of one-upsmanship.

Mike_the_Mystic
2013-03-02, 01:49 PM
"I said PEACE!" Jericho booms once more, as he moves his left hand with precise movements while clutching his symbol of Heironeous in his right hand. He focuses on Edward Karrel and those around him, attempting to calm their raging hearts with feelings of peace and serenity. "You must not fall to the predations of fear and desperation" Jericho says with an almost fatherly tone "These emotions will lead to all of our undoing. Peace, peace be with you."

Brother Jericho uses Calm Emotions to quell the raging heart of Edward Karrel and those within 20 feet of him. The Save is a DC 15 Will save to negate the effect.

rgrekejin
2013-03-02, 01:51 PM
Azazel is within the radius of this effect.

Will Save:
[roll0]

Edit: Andddddd I'm calm. The hissing stops.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-02, 02:09 PM
Everyone inhales for a tense moment and then, collectively, relax; one of Edward's brothers looks angrier than ever, but the mood of the room has shifted.

Edward takes a step back from the widow Bresson, whose cold grey eyes follow him back; she did not so much as flinch during the entire encounter. Edward closes his eyes, taking a single deep breath before turning to face the priests; the fury is still in his voice, buried but present.

"Alright, you've made your point. But angry or calm, things are the way they are - we're still starving, and they're still hoarding food."

In the background, one of the other Bresson children takes advantage of the distraction to slip quickly out the door, fleeing into the snow.

rgrekejin
2013-03-02, 02:11 PM
Azazel would like to attempt to follow the child. He darts across the room as soon as he notices the child trying to leave, and tries to squeeze out the door before it closes.

ArcturusV
2013-03-02, 02:13 PM
Justin looked back over his shoulder at the elder who had touched his shoulder.

"Oh," he said simple, nodding once. He did sit back down however, "Doesn't look right though. I mean you're supposeda treat the oldies nice..."

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-02, 02:14 PM
Azazel would like to attempt to follow the child.

Even along the cleared path, the snow is deeper than you are. Following her wouldn't be a problem, but you'd need to change form as soon as you were out the door.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-02, 02:16 PM
The man who spoke to Justin shrugs, his attention back on the drama at the center of the church. "Helpless old grandmothers, sure. Widow Bresson's only two of those things."

rgrekejin
2013-03-02, 02:16 PM
How's the visibility outside? Is it reasonable that I could follow her without being seen? If yes:

Hide check:
[roll0]

pife
2013-03-02, 02:20 PM
Brother Jericho, I will assume that the young Bresson lad is going to gather his family. We should likely keep watch to ensure that this doesn't flare up again.

Now. I agree with you, Master Karrel, that food is being stolen and hoarded, to the detriment and risk of the entire town. If it were only I that were hungry, I would consider this a minor concern, but.. looking around the room at all of the drawn faces.. I see children who had nothing to eat yesterday here as well. Truly, is there one among you who would suffer a child to starve, that your own belly be full?

As you so eloquently put it, Master Karrel, this is not my town, for which I am glad. I would be ashamed to call many of you neighbor. I propose an amnesty. Let ANY, man or woman, who either has, or knows for truth where, any food remains, let them confess this here, now, in this room without fear of prejudice or punishment.

But I say to you, and by my Oath to Heironius, know that I speak truth... If I shall find yet one morsel of food in the entirety of this town that has not been offered up for sharing with all, I shall apprehend the perpetrator and see punishment pour upon you as the snowflakes fall outside. This I swear! Brother Jericho, what say you?

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-02, 02:23 PM
Azazel could have followed this particular child on a clear summer day; the boy runs straight for his families inn, one of the only other occupied buildings in town, without so much as a glance over his shoulder.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-02, 02:26 PM
Brother Jericho, I will assume that the young Bresson lad is going to gather his family. We should likely keep watch to ensure that this doesn't flare up again.

Now. I agree with you, Master Karrel, that food is being stolen and hoarded, to the detriment and risk of the entire town. If it were only I that were hungry, I would consider this a minor concern, but.. looking around the room at all of the drawn faces.. I see children who had nothing to eat yesterday here as well. Truly, is there one among you who would suffer a child to starve, that your own belly be full?

As you so eloquently put it, Master Karrel, this is not my town, for which I am glad. I would be ashamed to call many of you neighbor. I propose an amnesty. Let ANY, man or woman, who either has, or knows for truth where, any food remains, let them confess this here, now, in this room without fear of prejudice or punishment.

But I say to you, and by my Oath to Heironius, know that I speak truth... If I shall find yet one morsel of food in the entirety of this town that has not been offered up for sharing with all, I shall apprehend the perpetrator and see punishment pour upon you as the snowflakes fall outside. This I swear! Brother Jericho, what say you?

Took the liberty of rolling intimidate and diplomacy checks for you, hope you don't mind:
Intimidate [roll0]
Diplomacy [roll1]

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-02, 02:32 PM
The Fishers and Ives watch with interest, and the Karrels stare at the Bressons expectantly. The Bressons, for their part, remain silent.

Spot Checks! Again, rolling for people, just to keep things moving.

Canthus: [roll0]
Jericho: [roll1]
Justin: [roll2]

rgrekejin
2013-03-02, 02:32 PM
Using his Spiderwalk ability, Azazel scales the outside of the Inn, hiding on the roof and waiting to see if anyone comes back out.

Hide Check:
[roll0]

ArcturusV
2013-03-02, 02:34 PM
Justin leaned in a bit towards the man, glancing conspiratorially left and right, "Well then she's..." he paused for a moment to puzzle it out, "... she's a witch?" he asked, his eyes wide, expecting some sort of dramatic twist to be thrown out there to justify what he had seen.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-02, 02:35 PM
None of the Bressons speak; however, both Jericho and Justin note several of the family glancing quickly at the Widow Bresson as if following her lead.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-02, 02:37 PM
The man speaking to Justin continues his conversation in a low whisper. "A witch? No, the old crone hasn't cast a spell in life. Hasn't needed to."

rgrekejin
2013-03-02, 02:40 PM
Unless, of course, the roof is covered by enough snow to be in danger of falling in. I'm assuming that they've kept it at least reasonably clear, and that the added weight of a small creature isn't going to collapse it. If it looks at all dangerous, I'll stick high up around a corner or something... just somewhere kind of out of sight.

ArcturusV
2013-03-02, 02:44 PM
Justin frowned for a bit, seemingly disappointed with the answer as he leaned back a little, and letting out a little sigh, "So what's it then? Must be something. Always was a nice person ta me. Never made funna me or anything."

Mike_the_Mystic
2013-03-02, 02:46 PM
Jericho walks over to Canthus. "Where would one hide anything in this village?" He asks "Basements, attics, cellars. Have the men search them. Start here, does the Church have any lower levels where none dare to go?" He looks around at all the haggard, tired faces and says "But remember, we must not resort to desperation lest become the monsters we so desperately fight if we give into our base instincts..."

pife
2013-03-02, 02:49 PM
Well said, Brother, and true enough.

Looking expectantly at the gathered faces, Canthus waits.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-02, 02:54 PM
After a few moments, Azazel hears a commotion from inside the inn; four burly-looking men come out, wielding makeshift clubs and heading for the church.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-02, 02:56 PM
The man speaking to Justin scoffed under his breath. "She's a miser, but nice don't cost nuthin'."

rgrekejin
2013-03-02, 02:59 PM
Based on my knowledge of the town's population and who is presently accounted for in the church, do I have any guess as to how many people are still inside the Inn?

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-02, 03:02 PM
Overhearing Jericho, one of the Fishers speaks up. "There's an old mausoleum under the church, but..." she trails off, embarrassed, before continuing. "But we lost the key. Actually, my grandfather lost it, when he was just a kid. No one ever went down there, anyway," she finishes. After a pause, one of the Fisher brothers speaks up. "There are plenty of collapsed buildings food could be hidden in... after that, the Bresson's inn has a basement they use for storage. So does our house, actually."

Elsewhere in the church, one of the Bressons has fallen into an argument with one of the Karrels, and is berating him angrily. "Like we don't all know you're the ones that stole that food, you Karrels have been stealing from us for years, don't think we haven't noticed the missing tools, and now the moment things go bad you have the nerve to accuse us of hoarding..."

ArcturusV
2013-03-02, 03:02 PM
"Ya'd think... but you'd be surprised how they go outta their way not to be," Justin commented. He looked down at his familiar again, scuttling back and forth a little, "... ya know... I was gonna have an idea... for food and stuff. Then all this... what was it..." he frowned, looking down at Jillian who seemed to be resting for the moment, settling down since nothing was going on.

"... something..." Justin shook his head. "Hope Edward finds that food. Really would like some smoked trout... with some raspberry glaze, a few potatoes..." Justin stopped, mostly because he realized he was getting hungry.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-02, 03:05 PM
Based on my knowledge of the town's population and who is presently accounted for in the church, do I have any guess as to how many people are still inside the Inn?

Your guess would be a dozen or so, but you're not certain; the Bressons have mostly kept to themselves.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-02, 03:07 PM
The man speaking to Justin shoots him a glare as he starts to describe food, then rolls his eyes as the young sorcerer trails off. "Yeah, well, they're the real idiots. Old lady Bresson knows enough not to waste her mean... she stores it all up until it's needed."

rgrekejin
2013-03-02, 03:07 PM
Alright. I'll follow the four Bressons back to the church at a distance, and try to slip back inside in cat form.

Hide check:
[roll0]

pife
2013-03-02, 03:08 PM
Looking over at the next brewing catastrophe between the Karrel and Bresson clans,

If you please, good people. We will be searching momentarily. I merely wish to give anyone who currently knows where any food is, rather than where it might be, the chance to speak. This is, not to sound overly dramatic, your last opportunity to speak up before a search begins and my amnesty gives way to the law.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-02, 03:12 PM
The doors at the far end of the church burst open, and four heavy-set Bressons stride in, each carrying a makeshift cudgel. The Karrels react quickly, scrambling to grab whatever weapons they can, but the Widow Bresson waves her arm to the newcomers, gesturing for them to calm down as Azazel slips back inside, between their feet.

pife
2013-03-02, 03:18 PM
Tiring of the games, and thinking not for the first time that he should have put his armor on today, Canthus takes a deep breath. Turning to Widow Bresson, Canthus sketches a tiny bow.

Good mistress, I thank you for helping to keep the peace within these holy walls. It seems that there is bad blood between your kin and the Karell's. I know not, and at this point, care not from whence it sprang, but I must needs ask you this, and ask for your complete candor in return. Have you any food, or know where any such may be for certain found, for the good of us all?

ArcturusV
2013-03-02, 03:19 PM
Jillian snaps to when the door opens, and even Justin startles a bit as the scene suddenly shifts to something much more violent than he was honestly expecting. "... I don't suppose ya got some fishin' poles and a lot of this nonsense can be put aside for a bit?" Justin asked the old man he had been talking to, the sudden shock seemingly having jogged his mind. He felt Jillian scrambling up his leg, feet and claws, making her way to his shoulder. He patted her once, just to comfort himself, "Guess you were right about the mean."

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-02, 03:21 PM
The Widow meets Canthus's gaze dead on. "We're as hungry as the rest of you," she says, with every indication of honesty. Around the church the Karells scoff or groan in frustration.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-02, 03:23 PM
The man pauses, considering Justin's suggestion for a moment before speaking. "Me and my son tossed that idea around a few days ago, but decided it wasn't worth the risk... time might be changing, though. We've got a few poles set aside."

pife
2013-03-02, 03:30 PM
Very well then. According to all assembled here, there is not a scrap of food to be found in this town. Looking around again, Are there any here that are not in fact from this town, nor related to any within it? I would ask for unbiased folk to lead two or three groups to see if any has been.. misplaced. I do not doubt the honesty of the citizens here, but hunger and anger make for poor bedfellows. Will any volunteer to help me search, whether citizen or visitor?

ArcturusV
2013-03-02, 03:30 PM
"Seems like a good idea ta me. Maybe take the edge off," Justin agreed. "You go get some boys that are good anglers, I go with ya ta help watch out, make things a bit more comfortable, help land a better catch. Come back in a few hours with some food for everyone. Sounds good ta me."

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-02, 03:33 PM
The Widow speaks up quickly, her voice level and cold, all but interrupting Canthus.

"If any of these groups plan to search my inn, they're gonna have a problem on their hands. Blizzard or none, my property is mine and mine alone. Sheriff Ives respected that, his daddy respected it before him, and I intend to see that you respect it too."

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-02, 03:35 PM
The old man nods to Justin. "We'll see about getting the stuff together. You might want to let the priests know what we're up to... I don't like the idea of heading out into that snow with no one to know where I'm headed." He turns away, going to gather up his sons before pausing. "My name's Harold, by the way."

pife
2013-03-02, 03:36 PM
Well said, and very true, good lady. However, some food that I had set aside has gone missing. It is not your property that is being sought, but that food. And your inn, as well as all other buildings in this town, WILL be searched. No property will be damaged, nor possession taken, save for the food that was rightfully the property of the town. Am I being fairly clear?

Mike_the_Mystic
2013-03-02, 03:38 PM
"You would let those around you starve, even just for the sake of a few? Look around you, these were people who did business with you, who shared cherished lifetimes with you. You would be so quick as to turn your back on them?" Jericho says with a frown to the Widow "But be that as it may, your property is yours, gotten legitimately I hope."

ArcturusV
2013-03-02, 03:43 PM
"Justin Valkirk, nice ta meet ya," Justin said, almost as an automatic reflex to being given a name. He nodded and wandered over towards the so called 'shinies' he mentioned before, carefully moving through people so he wasn't jostling them around. When he finally got within range to speak politely to the Canthus.

"... sir? If'n it's alrighty with ya... me and my buddy Harold over there wanna take a different tack at this thing. Goin' fishin'. Maybe catch enough ta give errybody somethin' ta eat and calm things down, okay?"

Justin flashed the Paladin a big, open, honest grin, "Okay. Let me know if'n ya find it all. Oh... and I gots me a crowbar in my stuff over there," he said, pointing towards where he had stowed his gear in the church, "case ya need ta crack open something stuck."

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-02, 03:47 PM
The old woman's steely gaze rests on Canthus as he speaks, her expression unchanging. "No clearer than I was, priest. No one searches my inn."

She holds her gaze on him for a moment before turning to Brother Jericho, looking him up and down for a long moment before speaking. "You're a young man. This will be my last famine, but it isn't my first. I've got grandchildren of my own to worry about, and neighborly affection won't keep their bellies full if this storm keeps up."

"I will tell you this, though. My boy didn't steal that food you set him to guard, and neither did any of mine. The Fisher's and the Ive's wouldn't have the nerve. That leaves the Karrels. I suggest you talk to them."

With that she turns away, the rest of her family grouping around her, heading for the still-open doors of the church.

pife
2013-03-02, 04:09 PM
Realizing that action without thought is a fool's choice, Canthus lets the old woman and her unpleasant family leave without a further word. He needs a moment to think.

Then, deep in thought, he realizes that he's been spoken to. Dam*, where are my manners? The cold, too little sleep and no food has his mind numbed.

Fishing, sir? Capital idea, truly. I've been remiss. Canthus, Canthus Respen, in service to Heironius, and this is Brother Jericho, my friend, theological mentor, and boon companion. And you are?

ArcturusV
2013-03-02, 04:21 PM
"Justin Valkirk, nice ta meet ya," Justin replied with that conditioned response, giving the Shinies a little nod as they were introduced.

"So me and Harold are heading off, 'kay? Be back in a few hours," Justin started to walk off towards where his gear had been stowed, taking up his weapons, backpack, belt, and with a moment's thought (And a pinch from Jillian's claw) a spare sack.

pife
2013-03-02, 04:40 PM
Wait a moment, Master Valkirk. Do you think your efforts might be aided if we dragged some wagons to the river to act as a windbreak.. If the ice is thick enough, you could even break the wheels off of one, set it on the ice, and turn another over on top of it and lash it down, to act as a sort of makeshift "hut". Then you cut a hole in both the bottom wagon and the ice, and fish in.. relative comfort.

Brother Jericho, lets start with the basement of this church. It seems the sort of place nobody would look. If our hoarders happened to have gotten into it, it could still be there. What do you think?

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-02, 04:42 PM
After a few minutes, Harold comes over to Justin, with three of his sons in tow; one of them carries a long length of rope, one a set of fishing poles, and one a heavy ice axe. "Can't say I'm looking forward to this, but let's get it done..."

pife
2013-03-02, 04:48 PM
Gentlemen, are ye sure that you'll be able to find your way there and back in this weather? I might be able to use my horse to break you a path to the river, and perhaps back again.

ArcturusV
2013-03-02, 04:51 PM
Justin blinked slowly at the Shiny, blank look on his face. Finally he frowned, brow furrowed a bit, and shrugged his shoulders. He opened his mouth, about to reply when Harold, and his sons came in and spoke up. Justin nodded slowly, and reaching in his supplies took out his crowbar and tossed it at the Shiny (Canthus). "Case ya need it."

Justin patted himself down, making sure everything was secure, and that Jillian was fine, moving her onto his head, then putting his hood on she could be moderately warm and sheltered among his hair and headgear.

"Alrighty Harold, lead on. Might not be as miserable as ya think."

Mike_the_Mystic
2013-03-02, 04:57 PM
"I agree wholeheartedly Canthus, let us investigate this locked mausoleum, perhaps we can find answers there..."

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-02, 05:02 PM
Harold nods grimly, pausing to throw an extra blanket on over his shoulders before opening the door and pushing out into the fury of wind and snow.

pife
2013-03-02, 05:06 PM
Brother Jericho, I hope we do not have to say prayers over the frozen bodies of those brave lads.

Hefting the crowbar in his hand, Indeed, lets begin. With luck, we won't have to embarrass Widow Bresson and her kin. But I DO think that they have a fair amount of food in that in, stolen or otherwise.

Mike_the_Mystic
2013-03-02, 05:24 PM
"I agree on both accounts Canthus, Those men would be doing the whole town a favor if they came back with fish. I pray for their survival, as it is not just their lives in the balance."

"And I honestly hope that the Bressons have not hoarded food, for their sake. Even a small pile would make the others prone to unspeakable acts of vengeance upon the whole clan..."

pife
2013-03-02, 05:28 PM
I certainly don't like the thought of breaking down the door of that inn, and taking anything found by force, especially when have no proof that they have anything. But if we aren't successful at finding food soon, the choice will be taken out of our hands. These villagers will eventually burn that inn to the ground to get to anything they even suspectis in there.

Mike_the_Mystic
2013-03-02, 05:31 PM
"I agree. That's why we must keep them calm at all costs..."

ArcturusV
2013-03-02, 05:43 PM
"Oh... by the way..." Justin called out to the Shinies when he was at the doorway, "Rats. That is all."

With a smile on his face, Justin headed out into the snow, following in the trail that was being cut by Harold and the boys. He had a bit of a jaunty step, happy to have a chance to be out of that church for the time being.

"Think there will be wolves... or bears?" Justin asked Harold as they walked on. He had Geth's bow in his left hand, holding it at his side and at ease. "I mean there's gotta be something out here still, right? Never eaten wolf though... but I might be tempted to try if they come after us..."

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-02, 05:51 PM
"Oh... by the way..." Justin called out to the Shinies when he was at the doorway, "Rats. That is all."

With a smile on his face, Justin headed out into the snow, following in the trail that was being cut by Harold and the boys. He had a bit of a jaunty step, happy to have a chance to be out of that church for the time being.

"Think there will be wolves... or bears?" Justin asked Harold as they walked on. He had Geth's bow in his left hand, holding it at his side and at ease. "I mean there's gotta be something out here still, right? Never eaten wolf though... but I might be tempted to try if they come after us..."

"If there're any wolves for miles, they're curled up deep in there dens," Harold replies gloomily, heading along the cleared path for now. "They've got more sense than we do."

As the group nears the inn, they make out a flurry of activity over the two-story building; doors were being boarded up, snow was piled against the first-floor windows. From the upper floors, Justin thought he saw the outline of a crossbow, following them from the second floor.

rgrekejin
2013-03-02, 05:52 PM
Having overheard the two Holy Men planning to go down to the catacombs, Azazel decides to follow them down. He had been hoping to be able to talk to one of them alone, but things are getting desperate, and he doesn't know how long he'd have to wait before one of them would be alone.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-02, 06:21 PM
A short stone stairway spirals down from the back wall of the church, leading to the door of the mausoleum. It's clear at a glance at the door has not been opened in some time; rust clings to the metal frame, and dust has built up around the hallway leading to it.

ArcturusV
2013-03-02, 06:22 PM
Justin gave out a smile, and waved at the Crossbow that was tracking him, "HIIIIII! Goin' fishin'! Come and join us if ya got a pole!" he cheered out loudly to them. He took a quick skip to catch up with the rest, whistling a few bars of a tune. As they would start to get further from the normally patrolled, cleared area he'd keep a sharper eye out for anything weird and unusual.

"Weird people..." Justin murmured.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-02, 06:28 PM
As they move further from the church, the pathways narrow around Justin and his friends, until they're walking between walls of snow taller than they are; alongside one of the more recently collapsed houses, even these come to an end. "River shouldn't be much further at all," Harold remarks, pausing to tie one end of a long rope to the building. "This should help us, in case we get lost."

pife
2013-03-02, 06:34 PM
Well, this doesn't look promising, but.. since we're here

Canthus, and I'm assuming Jericho, are going to get that door open, one way or another.. Turning the knob, using the prybar, chopping it down, finding some way to knock it down, etc..

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-02, 06:47 PM
The door is made of heavy iron, and well fitted into the wall; to make matters worse, it seems to open outward. With no space between the door and the frame, you have no where to set the crowbar. Furthermore, the lock consists of a thick deadbolt that goes deep into both the door and the wall; without the key (or an able locksmith) you see no apparent way to force entry.

ArcturusV
2013-03-02, 06:57 PM
Justin looked up at the walls of snow on either side of the trap, "Wonder who cut this path..." he murmured. He nodded as Harold finished tying off, giving the rope a little sharp tug to make sure it was nice and secured.

"Well soon as we get ta the river we can warm up and start finishing."

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-02, 07:01 PM
Justin looked up at the walls of snow on either side of the trap, "Wonder who cut this path..." he murmured. He nodded as Harold finished tying off, giving the rope a little sharp tug to make sure it was nice and secured.

"Well soon as we get ta the river we can warm up and start finishing."

"Won't be warm till we're back at the church," one of Harold's sons muttered. "Oh well. Nothing else for it," he continued, starting to push his way into the white walls of snow before him.

pife
2013-03-02, 07:12 PM
Wait, the door is made of IRON? In a small town church consecrated to no particular God? Holy Halflings, he's seen vaults more accessible than this. Shaking his head...

Brother Jericho, I think I can still get in this door, but at this point, is it worth it? Do you think there is any chance of there being food inside? Because if there is, I shall summon my warhorse, and we'll endeavor to rip the door off it's hinges. I also wonder if the floor in the level above is wood or stone...

But.. It's much more likely that our search might bear fruit elsewhere. Perhaps we could look around town for any recent footprints leading to otherwise abandoned buildings. If I know shady characters, they may have sought to hide their illicit gains now that they know we plan to hunt for it. Oh look a cat, how cute.. Better hope the townsfolk don't see it, or he might be purring from a boiling pot.

ArcturusV
2013-03-02, 07:21 PM
"Justta moment..." Justin murmured as they started to get ready to plow into the snowbank. He seemed to slip into a trance, swaying back and forth just enough to be noticeable, eyes locked onto the point man, one of Harold's sons. He whipped his hand through the air as he let out a chant, pointing right at the guy with a finger snap as his chant hit a crescendo, casting Enlarge Person on the point man.

"That should make cuttin' a path easier," Justin murmured as he came out of the trance. "Go quick. Only got a few minutes. PLOW!"

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-02, 07:30 PM
"Justta moment..." Justin murmured as they started to get ready to plow into the snowbank. He seemed to slip into a trance, swaying back and forth just enough to be noticeable, eyes locked onto the point man, one of Harold's sons. He whipped his hand through the air as he let out a chant, pointing right at the guy with a finger snap as his chant hit a crescendo, casting Enlarge Person on the point man.

"That should make cuttin' a path easier," Justin murmured as he came out of the trance. "Go quick. Only got a few minutes. PLOW!"

The targeted son staggered backwards as he grew, almost collapsing into a snow bank, eyes going wide with panic before adjusting to his new size, still looking around wildly. His father regarded him coolly for a long moment before turning to Justin. "You may not be the brightest star in the sky, but don't ever let anyone call you useless. Let's get a move on," he continued, as his son started to push through the snow, leaving a half-cleared path that the rest could follow.

rgrekejin
2013-03-02, 07:32 PM
The isolation of the stairwell seeming to be the best available to him at the moment, Azazel transforms from cat to person. Holding up his hands to show that he means no harm, Azazel addresses the two Holy Men:

"Shh... please don't make any loud noises, okay? My name is Azazel, and as you can see, I'm a magic-user. I was on my way through town when the storm hit, and I've been waiting for it to blow over ever since. I've stayed hidden up until now, but things are getting bad, and... I don't think this storm is going to blow over. It's not natural, whatever it is. I want to do what I can to help."

ArcturusV
2013-03-02, 07:44 PM
"... who calls me useless?" Justin replied as he followed along in the wake the Enlarged son was making in the snow. He was doing his best to keep up, and occasionally looking up at the sky, hoping he could see some break in the storm front moving in. "Well other than Jillian... but I don't think she means it."

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-02, 07:46 PM
Justin's spell has almost worn out when Harold stops, drops to his knees and starts sweeping the snow out from underneath him. After a few frenzied moments, his hands hit ice.

"I guess we found the river," he says with a grin, as his son shrinks back to normal size.

pife
2013-03-02, 07:49 PM
After the initial shock of watching a housecat turn into a.. halfling?.. Canthus tries to regain his composure, (and release the haft of his warhammer, which he had halfway drawn in surprise...

Err... That is to say, well met, Master Azazel.. Honor to serve.

Canthus focuses his will and uses his detect evil ability on this strange... person.

So you've been here in the form of a cat since the storm struck? I wonder.. Clapping Azazel on the shoulder, Canthus laughs.. Yes, I believe you'll be of great help indeed.. Two things.. When you're a cat, do you have the senses of a cat? And since the food has run out, have you seen, or more to the point smelled any? And would you be willing to look around for the same? Brother Jericho, have you ever seen the like?

ArcturusV
2013-03-02, 07:55 PM
"Okay... you go crack the ice... I'mma go get something..." Justin said, heading back the way they came. He made sure to drag his feet across the ice, looking for where the shoreline was relative to the river, and hitting frozen dirt rather than frozen water.

As soon as he hit dirt, he'd start digging out some of the snow until he could hit the ground, looking for five small rocks (About half a pound at most), normal river stones that would be on the side of most riverbanks. Prying them up he carried them back towards the others, hopefully they had made the hole by now.

"Okay. Told you, warm," he said, chanting a few short words over the rocks, etching a little 'sign' into each one of them, as he channeled his magics. Once done (2 castings) he had four stones, all radiating quite a bit of warmth, nowhere near enough to burn but quite toasty. He slid one down his own shirt to help keep his body warm, then handed out the other four.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-02, 08:10 PM
"Okay... you go crack the ice... I'mma go get something..." Justin said, heading back the way they came. He made sure to drag his feet across the ice, looking for where the shoreline was relative to the river, and hitting frozen dirt rather than frozen water.

As soon as he hit dirt, he'd start digging out some of the snow until he could hit the ground, looking for five small rocks (About half a pound at most), normal river stones that would be on the side of most riverbanks. Prying them up he carried them back towards the others, hopefully they had made the hole by now.

"Okay. Told you, warm," he said, chanting a few short words over the rocks, etching a little 'sign' into each one of them, as he channeled his magics. Once done (2 castings) he had four stones, all radiating quite a bit of warmth, nowhere near enough to burn but quite toasty. He slid one down his own shirt to help keep his body warm, then handed out the other four.

"Well... that's an improvement..." Harold says, rubbing his hands briefly over the stone before dropping it underneath his furs, grizzled hands gripping the two-handed ice axe, swinging it over his head and driving it into the ice, sending chips off into the snow.

Does Justin take a turn in the digging, or just wait?

Mike_the_Mystic
2013-03-02, 08:10 PM
"This door is rather daunting Canthus" Brother Jericho says as he marvels over the impressive Iron Door "But it leads to more questions than answers. Even in this isn't the hidden cache of food we were hoping for, this is a mystery we must solve. Why would a church have such a locked down mausoleum?"

He ponders this as he hears a voice behind him and witnesses a cat become a small humanoid.

"I think you're right small one, this isn't a natural storm. Perhaps even, perhaps what is the cause is behind this door..."

ArcturusV
2013-03-02, 08:15 PM
Justin, not exactly frail, was more than willing to take a turn, give people a chance to warm up their hands, etc, and crack at the ice until they had a decent enough hole going.

Presuming it happens without issue, he'd reach up into his hood, pulling out Jillian, "Now Jillian... I want you to go down there and tell me where all the fish are, okay? And eat something for yourself as well. But make sure to tell me before you go off to gorge yourself on whatever is down there, okay?"

Getting a clacking from the Crab Familiar, and a general feeling of annoyance, eagerness, and hunger, Justin would put Jillian down near the ice hole so she could scuttle in and go into the river.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-02, 08:24 PM
The water rushing by beneath the hole looked uncomfortably fast, raising some concerns as to whether the small crab would be able to make it back to the original hole. These concerns were further compounded by the green and slimy arm that shot up out of the hole, grabbing Justin by the wrist and pulling him forward, closer to the dark and rushing waters.

Initiative time!

rgrekejin
2013-03-02, 08:36 PM
Indeed, uh... Brother Canthus? I do have the senses of a cat while in cat form. Since the storm hit, I've been here in the church with everyone else, so I haven't smelled any food since your stores ran out. I haven't been anywhere else to check, but I'd be happy to look for you. Here, though, I have some trail rations. I needed to change form to access them, else I would have given them to you sooner. They're not much, but they're what I have. You probably can't feed everyone with them, but you could make them into a stew and split them up.

Azazel unslings his backpack from his shoulder, and turns over his five days' worth of dried trail rations.

Azazel, as a warlock of higher than 2nd level, has the ability to detect magic at all times. Is there anything magical about the door they're standing in front of, or anything else in the church that Azazel would have noticed during his days there.

You may be right... Brother Jericho? Finding food to keep the villagers alive is the most important thing right now, but I don't think this storm is going to go away unless someone finds out what's causing it and put an end to it.

Is there some sort of knowledge check I can roll to see if I might have any ideas about what could be causing the storm? If a Knowledge(Arcana) check would help...
[roll0]

pife
2013-03-02, 08:41 PM
Bless you boy, bless you!! As soon as we're done with this door, we'll see how best to split it amongst the young, the weak, and the sick. Bravo, sir! Err.. Probably going to raise a few eyebrows when you walk back upstairs with us though. I'm sure you'll be welcome though. Unless of course, you are planning to revert to your feline form.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-02, 08:45 PM
One of Harold's sons runs up and grabs Justin's wrist, attempting to keep him safe and pry the creature off of him.

The creature only twists its grip tighter, pulling hard, trying to force Justin down beneath the water.

To save time, I'm going to go ahead and roll your grappling check for you (Just the one as the result of the creature's actions, nothing on your turn). If me doing that is bugging you (Or anyone), let me know.

[roll0]

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-02, 08:47 PM
Between Justin and Harold's son's combined efforts, they are able to prevent the creature from dragging Justin and further into the water.

Justin's turn.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-02, 08:56 PM
Azazel detects no magic on the door, and hasn't heard of any mortal magics - divine or otherwise - that could cause such a storm, or make it last so long.

However, he does remember one fact of religious history - the man buried here was famed during his life as a great negotiator, and was responsible for the peaceful resolution of what was otherwise about to become a violent schism between the churches, three centuries ago. When he died, he was buried in his home town of Meltwater, and this church was erected in his honor; while both the church and his mausoleum were well constructed, the town itself remained a backwater, although for some time after his death pilgrims still came to visit the church.

rgrekejin
2013-03-02, 09:15 PM
Azazel looks somewhat embarrassed as he makes his suggestions to the two Holy Men, as he considers himself an individual of lesser station, and fears that he is being impertinent towards the elder adventurers:

Well... I was thinking of returning to cat form. If nothing else, it gives me the chance to hear more than I would normally. People speak more freely when they think no one is listening... although I suppose that does present you with a problem, so far as explaining where you got the rations from. If you would prefer me to come upstairs a person, I will do so. But, with so many in this village hiding things from you, perhaps it would be better if you kept a trick or two up your own sleeve. Also, umm... Brothers? Is that the proper title?... one more thing. Starvation carries with it an unmistakable odor. The smell of people is too strong here in the church, but, uh... if you could bring the people to me, one at a time, someplace warm and uncrowded, well, umm... I may be able to tell you who has been going without food, and who has been eating.

Also, Azazel shares what he knows about the church and it's history:
However, he does remember one fact of religious history - the man buried here was famed during his life as a great negotiator, and was responsible for the peaceful resolution of what was otherwise about to become a violent schism between the churches, three centuries ago. When he died, he was buried in his home town of Meltwater, and this church was erected in his honor; while both the church and his mausoleum were well constructed, the town itself remained a backwater, although for some time after his death pilgrims still came to visit the church.

pife
2013-03-02, 09:24 PM
As for me, call me Canthus, or Brother Canthus if you prefer. How rude of me, I never introduced myself. I vow, my guts are making a mockery of my brain today. Of course, it's your choice which form you choose to remain in. As you say, it would be difficult to explain unless you plan to show them both. But two things vex me this moment. First, whether getting in this room will solve any of our problems, or just sap our energy when it's needed elsewhere. Second, the missing food. I wonder if we might be able to get you into one of the upper windows of the Bresson's inn, to scout and smell.. Of course, I wouldn't want you to take any risks you are not comfortable with, but the situation is dire. I do hope Master Valkirk is having more luck than we in procuring food, as I feel downright useless.

Since Azazel has shared his knowledge of the tomb, and assuming he doesn't resonate evil, I will take him at his word and, for the moment, leave off on attempting to get in this room.

rgrekejin
2013-03-02, 09:34 PM
Well, Brother Canthus, I, umm... don't think I should have any trouble getting into one of the upper windows of the Bresson's Inn. In addition to my shape-changing abilities, I can... how do I put this... walk on walls? However, I should warn you that stealth has never been my strongsuit. And I'd have a hard time making it through the snow out to the inn as a cat. I would either need to go there as a human, and risk being seen, or have someone else carry me there. After the confrontation this afternoon, I'm not sure the Bressons would be quite so welcoming if they were to see a stranger striding towards them through the snow.

pife
2013-03-02, 09:47 PM
I can solve that problem. Lets go

Canthus will (with Azazel's permission and waiting for any input from Brother Jericho) put Azazel in my coat, go upstairs, proclaim the door too robust, walk outside the church, summon my mount (which I will know write up and add to my character sheet), ride to the Bresson's inn, and announce to them that some small amount of food has been located, and, though only the children or sick will be able to partake, they are welcome to join us at the church for their portions. At some point in that journey, surely I would be out of sight enough to allow Azazel out of my coat. I've always wanted to throw a cat onto a roof. Here's my chance..

One amendment-- I would like to find a chance to unload Azazel from my coat before reaching the inn, so I can serve as a distraction while he tries to find a way in.

ArcturusV
2013-03-02, 09:52 PM
"AAAAAH! KILL IT! KILL IT! KILL IT WITH FIRE!" Justin screams at the top of his lungs as he tries to pull himself out of the grip of the something. Jillian meanwhile scuttling faaaar away from the hole in the ice (to the limit of her speed).

(Using my standard action to try to escape the grapple)

[roll0]

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-02, 10:02 PM
Justin's arm wrenches free of the hand holding it, crusty yellow nails disappearing beneath the water with a splash. Recoiling from the hole, Harold and his sons stare at it in disbelief, Harold's hands tightening around the heavy ice axe, but the creature does not return.

However, a moment later flashes of silver can be seen beneath the water; a school of large fish swims past, packed so densely they seem to crowd out the water itself. Just before the last of them disappear out of sight, one of them makes an ill-advised leap out of the hole, landing and flopping around on the cold hard snow.

ArcturusV
2013-03-02, 10:07 PM
Justin pants heavily, drawing out his longsword in a slow, easy motion to help him steady his nerves. He pokes at the fish with his sword, not lightly, he won't mind if he's actually stabbing it but he's not looking to turn it into goo, "... what?! What? Turn into a fish? Think you'll get me again! THE HELL WAS THAT?!"

A scuttling could be heard as Jillian made it's way over the ice towards Justin, standing on his left foot, clacking his claws at the 'fish'.

"What the hell was that?" Justin asked Harold and the Boys, thoroughly confused. "... I... what... green... tentacle... ice... fish..." his brain seemed to be melting down under the strain of grasping just what happened.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-02, 10:10 PM
The fish, for its part, fails to do anything to indicate that it is not, in fact, a fish, and expires a moment later from Justin's less-than-gentle prodding.

ArcturusV
2013-03-02, 10:22 PM
Justin's heart started to slow down a bit... his breathing getting back under control. "What... what was that? What? What? Do you know? ... gods I hope that wasn't a Sea Elf..." Justin mumbles, mostly talking to Harold and the others, though the last part was more towards himself.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-02, 10:24 PM
Harold blinked, screwing up his eyes for a moment, still staring at the hole in disbelief before shaking it off and responding to Justin. "If it was it was lost," he offers, glancing around, keeping a weary distance from the hole.

rgrekejin
2013-03-02, 11:10 PM
Taking off from where Canthus left him, Azazel scurries up the side of the inn, trying to avoid detection. He wanders around the perimeter of the upper story, peaking in windows to see if he can find an entry point that isn't actively being watched by a Bresson.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-02, 11:23 PM
Downstairs, the Widow Bresson watched from the door as Canthus approached - though a timely flurry of snow gave him a chance to lower Azazel to the ground. "I meant what I said earlier," he stated as he approached. "You and yours aren't coming in here."

Upstairs, most of the windows that aren't stationing lookouts are boarded up; however, Azazel does happen upon one just as the man guarding it is called away from somewhere else inside the building, leaving a brief opening.

rgrekejin
2013-03-02, 11:32 PM
Azazel darts in through the window. Talking advantage of his spiderwalk ability, he quickly runs up to the ceiling, pressing his cat body as tightly as he can against the surface to prevent being seen. He tries to stay near any tall furniture that may obscure him from view. He sniffs the air for the scent of food (or the scent of starving people, either way).

Hide Check:
[roll0]
(Azazel's size bonus to hide checks increases by four in cat form, explaining why this is +12 here and was +8 before)

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-02, 11:39 PM
Azazel has little trouble finding a hiding place in the empty room. While the house smells of many things, neither food nor starvation are among them.

From deeper inside the inn, he can hear voices, but they're too far away to make out the words.

rgrekejin
2013-03-02, 11:42 PM
Azazel moves deeper into the house, continuing to sniff for food as he goes. He continues to walk along the ceiling, and making use of cover whenever he can. If he doesn't smell any food, he'll move cautiously towards the voices, and try to overhear what they're saying.

Listen Check:
[roll0]

Actually, I'd like to amend that if I could. Azazel would probably get off the ceiling and walk along the floor, taking care to take cover if he hears or sees people approaching.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-02, 11:49 PM
Azazel can hear the voices growing clearer, as the speakers are moving towards them.

"For the last time, it doesn't matter if the crossbow is broken..."

They're heading right for Azazel; hide check to hear more.

rgrekejin
2013-03-02, 11:53 PM
Hide Check:
[roll0]

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-02, 11:59 PM
"- because you're not going to fire it anyway. Grandma said -"
"For Gods's sake, will you keep your voice down? That Paladin is right outside!"
The original speaker glares at his brother before continuing in a whisper, turning and heading off to another section of the inn.
"Fine, fine, grandma said - "

They're keeping their voices low, and moving off into another section of the house. You can stay safely hidden and try to make out what they're saying, or follow them and risk getting caught. Listen or hide check, respectively.

rgrekejin
2013-03-03, 12:00 AM
Azazel will try to follow them.

Hide check:
[roll0]

pife
2013-03-03, 12:05 AM
No, good lady, the situation has not yet deteriorated to the point that I feel the need to revisit that idea. In fact, if you have any sick adults, or any children inside, we found a small amount of food, and they are welcome to join us for it. Good day to you madam.

Sketching a bow from the saddle of his horse, hand over his heart, he turns and walks his horse back the way he came, realizing that there was no exit strategy for Azazel. If there is an abandoned, but standing building nearby, he will pause, asking his horse to stay where it is, and will enter the building to search it for anything of interest

Search check

[roll0]

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-03, 12:05 AM
" - it's not worth a fight, not yet, not with those priests here. Maybe in a few more days, when everyone else is really starving, then we'd have a chance, but not now. If they force the issue, we let them in, no shots fired. I mean, it's not -"

The brothers turn again, heading into a large central room filled with Bressons busy with various tasks.

The room is too noisy for you to hear them without following them in; however, it's also very crowded. It will be a much more difficult hide check to follow them any further.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-03, 12:09 AM
The Widow's voice follows Canthus as he heads away. "After what happened earlier, I don't really feel safe taking my family into that church. We'll stay here, on our own ground."

There's only one other building still standing along the cleared path, and it's creaking worryingly, with an unhealthy amount of snow piled up on the roof. Does Canthus still want to search it?

rgrekejin
2013-03-03, 12:09 AM
Alright. Azazel won't follow them into the central room, but he will continue to poke around the rest of the house, trying to sniff out food, and trying to stay close to cover to hide behind should he notice anyone.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-03, 12:17 AM
Azazel doesn't smell any food, but he doubts he would anyway; the Bressons may not be starving, but they're not exactly bathing either.

There's only one stairway down to the first floor, and traffic along it is pretty frequent. Does Azazel want to risk it?

rgrekejin
2013-03-03, 12:24 AM
...no. I think Azazel probably has enough to go on now. He's heard the Bressons talking about everyone else being really starving in a few days, as though they themselves will not be, and heard them admit that they're probably bluffing about actually fighting it out should the priests attempt to search the place. Azazel's already pretty antsy about sneaking in this far alone, and he's not willing to stick his neck out any farther than he already has without good reason. He'll try to retrace his steps and head back outside.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-03, 12:29 AM
Thankfully, the window Azazel entered through is still unguarded; however, there are Bressons on the porch now, wielding heavy clubs and staring off into the snow, which has been allowed to pile a foot or so deep along the path; apparently the Bressons no longer care about ease of access between their house and the church.

rgrekejin
2013-03-03, 12:33 AM
Azazel climbs down the side of the house and transforms. He takes a wide route back to the church, trying to stay out of the vision of those who are watching the cleared path. As he goes, he makes sure that the snow is drifting appropriately to cover his tracks.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-03, 12:36 AM
Azazel climbs down the side of the house and transforms. He takes a wide route back to the church, trying to stay out of the vision of those who are watching the cleared path. As he goes, he makes sure that the snow is drifting appropriately to cover his tracks.

There might have been some confusion; it's not an issue of "Tracks" at this point, off of the cleared paths the snow is about seven feet deep. Anyone moving through it is gonna leave an obvious trail.

rgrekejin
2013-03-03, 12:43 AM
There might have been some confusion; it's not an issue of "Tracks" at this point, off of the cleared paths the snow is about seven feet deep. Anyone moving through it is gonna leave an obvious trail.

Hmm. I'm not even sure Azazel is physically capable of displacing seven feet of snow. I guess it's the path or nothing.

Azazel waits and watches, hoping that some or all of the Bressons gathered outside by the coming of the paladin go back inside before the cold becomes intolerable.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-03, 12:46 AM
Hmm. I'm not even sure Azazel is physically capable of displacing seven feet of snow. I guess it's the path or nothing.

Azazel waits and watches, hoping that some or all of the Bressons gathered outside by the coming of the paladin go back inside before the cold becomes intolerable.

There's actually a warm draft from the window at Azazel's back; however, he can hear the absent guard finally returning to his station, from a few rooms away.

rgrekejin
2013-03-03, 01:06 AM
Seeing that the deep snow looks fairly compact, Azazel decides to try to walk on top of it for a short distance, and then rejoin the main path once he's far enough along to be out of sight to the Bressons.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-03, 01:08 AM
Azazel jumps down onto the nearby snow, and...

[roll0]

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-03, 01:10 AM
...lands easily, the heavy snow easily holding his minuscule weight.

pife
2013-03-03, 01:12 AM
Yes, he does. First, if there's anything of note inside, he needs to find it, and second, he needs to wait to be Azazel's transportation back to the church.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-03, 01:52 AM
Canthus's search of the abandoned house proved fruitless; open cupboards and ruined chests stood testament to the fact that this particular building had been thoroughly ransacked already.

ArcturusV
2013-03-03, 08:47 AM
Harold blinked, screwing up his eyes for a moment, still staring at the hole in disbelief before shaking it off and responding to Justin. "If it was it was lost," he offers, glancing around, keeping a weary distance from the hole.

Justin shakes his head as if shaking off a bad thought, still holding his sword in hand. "Well... lots of fish down there... we might as well drop a line. If... that..." Justin trailed off, not sure what to call it, "I'mma stick it. That should do it."

rgrekejin
2013-03-03, 10:40 AM
Azazel slowly and carefully makes his way over the heavy snow, giving the inn a wide berth. When he thinks he's far enough away to avoid being seen, he walks back out towards the cleared path. Jumping down into the cleared section, he continues to pick his way towards the church.

Do I see Canthus, or have I passed him already?

pife
2013-03-03, 11:24 AM
Canthus will then dawdle, and hope that Azazel doesn't need him. If his delay starts to become suspicious, he will patrol the edge of the village before returning to the church. If Azazel isn't back within an hour of his return though, he will go out on another "patrol" and look for him.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-03, 12:22 PM
By luck, Azazel jumps back down onto the path almost on top of Canthus, the entire outing lasting only a few minutes.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-03, 12:23 PM
Harold glances around nervously. "If you say, lad... me, I'd call this a good time to go back to the others..."

Mike_the_Mystic
2013-03-03, 12:26 PM
While Canthus is talking with the Bressons and Azazel infiltrates their inn, Jericho goes back through the Church's books to find any information regarding this peace-maker and the church they built in his honor.

pife
2013-03-03, 12:29 PM
Then Canthus will just do a quick circuit around the village, looking for anything out of the ordinary, and head back to the relative warmth of the church with Azazel.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-03, 12:52 PM
The man's name was Vitus Eben, Saint Eben by the time of his death. By far the greatest deeds of his life came during the schism between the church of Uzziel and the newly ascended lesser god August Augustus. Augustus's academic-inclined worshipers had earned the ire of the Uzziel church by proselytizing against some of their more dogmatic teachings, often within the walls of strict Uzzielian communities. Furthermore, they openly defied the church's harsh attitude towards arcane magics and study - this was before the modern agreements between religious, arcane and secular authorities, and at the time, arcane magic was still treated as witchcraft.

Vitus Eben was a young priest, originally a follower of August Augustus, who worked to negotiate a truce between the two churches, and prevent what would have become a slaughter of the newly-formed and vastly-outnumbered followers of Augustus. While some animosity still exists between the churches, this peace was a crucial step towards ending the age of religious strife between the High Gods, and almost directly led to the widespread legalization and acceptance of arcane magic.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-03, 12:53 PM
*Sound of spot checks rolling in the background*

Canthus's patrol is uneventful, and he returns to the church unmolested.

pife
2013-03-03, 01:28 PM
Then I'd like to arrange for the rations to be split among the children and the weak. Hopefully there is a citizen there that can be trusted enough to do this..

Once that's arranged for, I'd like to ask for Brother Jericho (and take or allow Azazel to follow) to the parsonage to discuss what he saw/heard.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-03, 01:46 PM
The Fishers - by far the most helpful family so far - volunteer to distribute the rations. Quietly debating how best to go about such, they...
[roll0]

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-03, 01:50 PM
...begin calling townspeople over, once by one. The process goes smoothly for a few minutes, but when word gets out that there's food to be had, the entire church pushes towards them rapidly, and the food is taken from their hands. While there is much shoving, no serious violence breaks out, and the towns numerous parents are able to ensure that every child gets at least some food. Many people are left grumbling that they didn't get their fair share, but most are grateful to have eaten at all, despite the ache the food brings to tightened stomachs.

rgrekejin
2013-03-03, 02:35 PM
Once in the parsonage, Azazel returns to human form, and tells the two Holy Men what he heard and saw:

Well, first off, let me say that I didn't smell any food, but that's not really surprising. I was only able to get a good look at the second story, and the smell of people overwhelmed any potential smell of food. However, I did overhear a pair of brothers conversing. Here are the important points: first, the hostile position they're taking now seems to be mostly posturing. They said that if we decided to press the issue, they'd rather let you in than actually fight it out. But they also said that they'd stand a better chance in a few days, when everyone else was really starving. The implication being that, though everyone else would be starving, they wouldn't be.

ArcturusV
2013-03-03, 03:03 PM
Justin reached his empty hand into his pocket, fingering the lucky charm that he had gotten from his father, "Well... I mean one fish is nice... but isn't gonna go far... already here... and all those people, your family, the others, they're countin' on us bein' able to get them somethin'."

He pulled his hand out of his pocket, took his sack out, and put the fish in it, "We gotta try. For everyone back there."

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-03, 03:09 PM
Harold sighs heavily. "Alright," he says, still keeping a weary distance from the watery hole as he casts his line into it. After a few moments the line goes suddenly taut, pulling hard and then releasing instantly; the line comes back severed, the hook lost in the water.

ArcturusV
2013-03-03, 03:15 PM
".... or maybe I'm wrong..." Justin mutters as he sees the line, cut. He puts his sword away, backing away from the hole and getting his bow in hand. "Ain't none of you seen one of those green things before? Not even in some story you tell your little kids so they behave?" Justin asked, shaking his head as he tried to get the image of the hand thing out of his mind. It was too much like a nightmare fuel bedtime story for him. "Lets get outta here."

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-03, 03:19 PM
".... or maybe I'm wrong..." Justin mutters as he sees the line, cut. He puts his sword away, backing away from the hole and getting his bow in hand. "Ain't none of you seen one of those green things before? Not even in some story you tell your little kids so they behave?" Justin asked, shaking his head as he tried to get the image of the hand thing out of his mind. It was too much like a nightmare fuel bedtime story for him. "Lets get outta here."

Harold and his sons exchange glances. "If I'd seen one of those before, I'd have moved," one of the sons says, and the others nod their assent, turning and pushing back along their previously cleared path.

pife
2013-03-03, 06:36 PM
Well done Azazel. Thank you for putting yourself at risk. Let us hope it isn't necessary again. I suppose the food distribution went as well as could be expected. But there must be something we're not thinking of. If push came to shove, I doubt the Bressons could keep Brother Jericho and I out even if they DID want to. We can be.. determined.. when the need arises. but I would hate to take the risk of violence to these people. Father Herionius does not put obstacles in our path that cannot be overcome. We must think of what to do.

What hunts in the snow? Animals will hunker down in a storm, but they must feed as well. That, or we must drag them from their dens if necessary. What I propose is this.

First, let us determine if that Valkirk lad had any luck fishing. If he has had any success, then perhaps we could double or triple that effort.

Second, we should forage. There should be tubers in the ground. They would be difficult to get to, since it's frozen, but they are there. Tree bark and leather can be boiled as well, in a pinch. It's not tasty, nor particularly nutritious, but it can sustain life. Also, the stores that squirrels have put away can be crushed and boiled as well.

And third, we should inquire after hunters. By the gods, if people can survive in the arctic wastelands, we can survive this out of season blizzard. Once we have a tracker or two, we should be able to down something, be it a bear, or wolves, squirrels, even deer. They're hiding out there somewhere, and they're alive.

What say you both?

By the way, because a gigantic horse might be too great a temptation for these folk, Canthus dismissed his mount Valor after getting his armor and all weapons out of the saddlebags. It might be needed.

Mike_the_Mystic
2013-03-03, 07:43 PM
"My search has come up with information regarding the man whom this parsonage is dedicated to, but not much else. He was instrumental in avoiding a religious war between those who followed Uzziel and those who followed August Augustus. If it wasn't for this Saint Eben, arcane magic would still be considered a dark work."

Jericho sighs, his eyes sore from reading vast tomes.

"I fear this search has brought me no closer to the truth..."

Turning to Canthus, he gives a shrug "If it would help, then so be it. Unfortunately, I have never had experience in hunting animals, just dark creatures."

rgrekejin
2013-03-03, 08:29 PM
Well... I'm afraid I'm not going to be much help so far as hunting is concerned. The, uh... only things I've ever hunted are rats and mice, and... we're pretty well out of those here anyway. Hopefully Mister Valkirk has had some luck fishing. We should see if any of the villagers have any experience hunting, although I would have thought they'd have volunteered it by now if they did. If... well, if you care for my opinion, I think the Bressons may have a point. If we're going to search their Inn for food, we should probably do it sooner rather than later. I know that they've got the bottom level mostly boarded up, and they've stopped clearing the snow on their end of the path. It may become inaccessible soon. They have guards with crossbows at most of the second-story windows. I doubt any of them is an expert shot, but you never want to take unnecessary chances with things like that. The longer we wait, the more unfavorable that situation becomes.

pife
2013-03-03, 08:40 PM
Hmm.. I find it rather unlikely that they would manage to get any shot they take through my armor. They don't seem like warriors to me. However, our moral dilemma stands. What if we search their inn, and find nothing? Even if noone is injured, I will likely have broken the law whether we find anything or not. They have denied having any food, and forbidden us to search it. Brother Jericho, I defer to you in theological matters. What would the Arch-Paladin tell us in this situation?

Mike_the_Mystic
2013-03-03, 10:09 PM
"He would say that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of a few choice people, brother Canthus" Jericho said with a stern look "These are times far more trying than any other in most of these people's lives. It will take desperate measures to ensure their survival, even if it means that property be taken, by force if necessary."

ArcturusV
2013-03-03, 11:24 PM
Harold and his sons exchange glances. "If I'd seen one of those before, I'd have moved," one of the sons says, and the others nod their assent, turning and pushing back along their previously cleared path.

Justin nodded, though he kept an eye on the Ice Hole. He scooped up Jillian, depositing her back in her travel spot, under his hood with an expectant clacking of her claws.

"Ya figure those Shinies wanna know about it?" Justin asked as he followed back on the path with the rest of the Harold Bunch. He kept his bow out, an arrow ready to go, constantly looking back at the ice hole, almost expecting some Zombie River Elf to come after him.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-03, 11:34 PM
Justin's trek back was uneventful; Harold, a haunted look in his eyes, fell into silence the moment they started the trek back.

When they passed the Bresson's inn, the buzz of activity had died down; guards were still stationed outside, along with a pair of crossbows covering the path from the upstairs window, but they showed no interest in Justin's passing.

ArcturusV
2013-03-03, 11:37 PM
"HIIIIII! Don't go to the river. Zombie River Elves with green skin will get ya!" Justin called out to the Bressons as they passed the inn. "Lots of fish though. But you know... zombie river elves. They don't like fishermen. Almost pulled me under da ice!"

Warning complete, he nodded to them, gave them a little wave. And skipped off to catch up with Harold and his sons on the trek back to the church. Now that they were back in "civilized" territory he put his arrow, and his bow away, no longer really fearing the Zombie River Elves. After all, all those guys with Crossbows would surely shoot one before it got to him.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-03, 11:53 PM
The snow was too thick for Justin to see the incredulous expressions on the guard's faces, but it was safe to assume they were there. From there, it was only a few more minutes before the fishing party was pushing back into the blessed warmth of the church.

ArcturusV
2013-03-04, 12:03 AM
Justin went in last, letting Harold and the boys go first, shutting the door tight behind him. He looked around, shrugged, and brought the sack with only one fish in it to wherever they've been cooking their meals in the church, tossing it there, "Not much... zombie river elves," he told whoever was on cooking duty for the day.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-04, 12:09 AM
The townspeople crowd around the fish; ultimately, it ends up being devoured by those willing to eat it the most raw.

ArcturusV
2013-03-04, 12:20 AM
"... well that was..." Justin held his stomach, hearing it complain as he saw the fish just get wolverine devoured without a bit taken. "coulda made it stretch with a stew or something... I didn't even get any..." he sighed, "Then I guess one of ya wanna help with the Zombie River Elves so we can get more?"

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-04, 12:24 AM
The villages pull back, looking suddenly embarrassed. "Sorry," one of them, one of the older Ives children, mumbles. "It's just... you see people starting to shove, and you get scared that you won't get any if you don't shove too. Same thing happened earlier, with the food Canthus found..." he trails off, then blinks a few times. "Zombie river elves?"

ArcturusV
2013-03-04, 12:39 AM
"Yeah. Zombie River Elves. I cracked open the ice, you know, to fish? Yeah. And then this green elf hand comes out of the ice, grabs me, tries to pull me in!" Justin said excitedly. The fear of the moment had passed with time, and distance from the river. "All rotting and slimy but I pull away and fooosh! Disappears under the ice. Scares the fish so bad one of them just jumps right out! ... we figure it's gone, drop a line in... and bam, thing pulls on the line and cuts it. Like with a knife or something. There's a zombie river elf under the ice there, I swear it!"

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-04, 01:02 AM
The townsperson stares uncertainly at Justin as he recounts his story, his mouth hanging slightly open by the end of it. "Um... I think you might want to tell the priests about that one, Justin..."

ArcturusV
2013-03-04, 01:06 AM
"Huh..." Justin looked as though he hadn't truly considered the option when it was suggested, "... think they'll want to go get it out from under the ice?" He shrugged, looking around for one of the Shinies.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-04, 01:09 PM
Hearing Justin's approach, Azazel swiftly morphs back into cat form, adopting a lazy posture in the corner.

As per instructions.

pife
2013-03-04, 01:16 PM
Well met, lad, well met! Did you have Canthus' stomach rumbles loudly any luck perchance at the river?

ArcturusV
2013-03-04, 01:21 PM
Justin walks over towards one of the Shinies, hearing him talking to him for some reason. "Oh... well... kinda. Got A fish. It's gone now..." Justin looked back towards where it was devoured a bit sadly. He shook his head, frowning as he looked back at Canthus, "They think you want to know about the Zombie River Elf. That's what you guys do, right? So you probably are already on it."

pife
2013-03-04, 01:26 PM
At first, all Canthus hears is Got a fish.. It's gone now and the word gone just echoes in his head for a few seconds..

Zomb.. River Elf .. Wha? I think you've been in the cold too long, lad. What's this about a Zombie River Elf? And how hard was it to catch this fish you found? Could we get more?

ArcturusV
2013-03-04, 01:30 PM
"Well probably. Looks like there's lots there. Cracked open the ice though, and this Zombie River Elf comes and grabs me! Tries to pull me under da ice! But I got free. So many fish though one of them just jumped right out of the ice. River Elf musta scared it right outta the river, not that I blame it. But the Zombie River Elf doesn't like fishermen. Cut our line, like with a knife or something... so we came back."

pife
2013-03-04, 02:01 PM
This is a wild tale, coming from someone that Canthus is starting to realize doesn't have all of his eggs in one basket, as it were..

Sense Motive check- Is the lad crazy, lying, or does he really believe what he saw?

[roll0]

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-04, 02:04 PM
Canthus can't really tell what to make of Justin's tale, but he doubts the lad has the wit to lie, and while he's certainly seemed dim, he hasn't been truly erratic.

pife
2013-03-04, 02:32 PM
sotto voce.. Hmm.. We need food. There are fish in the river waiting to be caught. There is a beast of some sort in the river that attacked the lad. We need the food. The beast must die, that we be saved!!

Bellowing- CHAINS!! NETS!! Turning to his bags, he begins dumping them all on the floor almost manically. Ropes and boats, lines and hooks!! SPEARS, CROSSBOWS AND CATCHPOLES! TO ARMS!

In a more moderate tone, Brother Jericho, if I could impose on you to assist me in donning my armor. Finally, somethign we can fight!!

To Justin Ha HA! Well then lad, you've done well.. Get yourself warm for a few moments, for we're going back out there!! And soon!

muttering under his breath, but loud enough to be heard.. Need a way to insulate myself against the cold of the water, as I'm the largest bait we can put on a hook.. Lard? Perhaps Brother Jericho can.. well.. Hmm. Brother Jericho, have you an incantation that would prevent the cold of the water from touching folk?

He then, (after waiting for Justin and Brother Jericho's replies and suggestions, and unless those suggestions sway his mind) begins to mobilize the villagers.

He needs poles with nooses attached, to create catchpoles, he needs every fishing pole and every net in town, and he needs nets made if there aren't any. He wants every length of chain and every length of rope in the town, every fishhook, every spear, bow, crossbow or other polearm, with as many warmly clothed stout hearted villagers as he can muster. He wants every axe and hammer, spikes and pitons, and empty barrels. He wants to send older children to any occupied buildings to spread the word and bring all of the folk here to the church, he wants braziers, cauldrons, anything that could conceivably hold fire, cords of firewood and coal and pitch and lamp oil, torches, lanterns. And he wants it assembled within the hour.

(Again, unless any of the PC's has an idea or suggestion to the contrary. But for the moment, unless dissuaded, Canthus is like a man possessed!)

Oh, and, not to alarm anyone, but.. are there any corpses in town? Just wondering.. :smallbiggrin:

ArcturusV
2013-03-04, 02:41 PM
Justin wasn't sure what to make of it. He was certain that the Shiny was about to insult him, or pity him. He wasn't entirely sure which was worse. But then he started rambling on nonsense in his usual tone he used for these big showy things he liked to do from time to time. Justin shrugged it off, and turned around, figuring that the Shinies had it all under control now. Something was lighting a fire under their asses but he couldn't quite follow what they were on about.

He went back to the cooking fire, and the ripped part fish. He pulled Jillian out of his hood, letting his Familiar down near whatever bones and inedible parts of the fish didn't get taken by the villagers, "Eat up, I know it's not much..." he told the crab, knowing it could get more sustenance from the bones and whatever small scraps remained on them then he ever could have.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-04, 04:59 PM
There are a handful of people who were found dead in collapsed buildings or frozen in the snow; the Fishers have them laid out in their basement, until such time as they have a chance to bury them.

Mike_the_Mystic
2013-03-04, 05:51 PM
Brother Jericho is troubled by the words of Justin, and attempts to recall any information from his studies under Brother Elijah pertaining to creatures like this...thing.

Hearing Brother Canthus's request, Jericho nods with a solemn look on his face. The hunt was on again, but not for vampires...

"I would be honored to aid you in donning your sacred armor and preparing the litanies of battle. May I ask that you aid me in donning my armor as well?"

[roll0]

pife
2013-03-05, 07:58 AM
Of course. And though Master Valkirk may be confused as to what he saw, I am certain that he saw something, and it bears investigating. In addition, I am certain that the fish are our best bet for feeding this village, and ourselves. To do this, we will have to defeat or at least be ready to defend ourselves from the mystery beast, and be ready to fish on a larger scale than four men with poles. Do you concur?

Mike_the_Mystic
2013-03-05, 10:43 AM
"I agree, it'll take quite a few men to fish for the village. Perhaps even I will have to get out of my comfort zone and try my luck with a pole. But for now, we must go don our armor."

pife
2013-03-05, 11:26 AM
Then Canthus will aid (and be aided by) Brother Jericho in donning armor. (making sure that there are no spots of rust, and that I'm as Shiny as Justin expects us to be.

Azazel, you've been of great assistance to this point. Do you have any other skills that might aid us in our endeavor? Brother Jericho, that Valkirk lad has been more useful than any three of the villagers so far. Can you see what other resources the boy has?

And finally, once I am armed and armored, I will go downstairs to speak to whatever villagers might be present.

Good people. There are days in our lives in which the decisions that are made will affect you for the rest of your lives. Today is such a day. Yours is a small village, with citizens normally both amiable and affable. This is to your credit. But that is also when things are going well. Over the last several days, I think you will agree that things have certainly NOT been going well. And what do you see? Bickering, fighting, and hoarding.

This storm should not be here, you say? I agree. There are citizens who are hiding food from others, possibly condeming their neighbors to starvation, privation and death? Again, sadly, I agree. It will take more than food for these problems to be resolved. It will take time and understanding, and no few tears, I would expect, to heal the wounds that this storm has caused. That's not why I'm here. The Arch-Paladin Heironius, in his vast wisdom, knew that you good folk were going to need assistance, just as he knew that I would need yours. This is no accident. This is a challenge. And the mettle of a man is tested in days such as these.

We could be content to pray to our various gods for succor, for food, for a break in the weather. I know I have, and I know you have. Perhaps some gods would be content with that. Would yours? I can only speak of Heironius, whom I know looks favorably on the bold, on those who would take their fate into their own hands and instead of hoping for rescue, would first endeavor to rescue themselves, and to rescue their neighbors, their children, their village.

We need your help. You may be confused as to why I have asked for so many supplies, and in so bizarre a combination. The day grows old, and soon, what little light there is will be gone. You may have heard that something dwells in your river that takes not kindly to visitors. You may also know from recent experience how narrowly one fish may be divided amongst so many. Before our strength fails us, which it surely will, we must act. Will we lose the will to rise tomorrow? If not tomorrow, the next day? It comes. Fatigue, hunger, sickness, death. These four dooms stand before you. And nothing we do, nothing we pray for within these four walls can save you from it.

What will you do? Tonight I go to the river, with as many supplies as I can carry, and with every stout heart I can bring. We must fight, or be prepared to fight whatever would deny you your rightful boons, the fish of the river. We must fish, and we must fish well. What we catch tonight might have to hold us for a long while, if the weather turns worse. We have not time for fear, nor conversation. We have time for one charge, one glorious charge to the river, to defend your village, your families, and your very lives. I go to gather what may be gathered and do what can be done. Stand with me. Stand with Brother Jericho. Stand with your neighbors. But STAND.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-05, 12:13 PM
Canthus's speech is met with a long moment of silence, and many worried faces. Finally, it is Edward Karrel that speaks. "Alright, preacher, we're all scared, but I for one am more scared of watching my daughter starve than I am of whatever monster my uncle saw at the river. Just promise me this, though: if this doesn't work, no more holding back. I'll take my family down to the inn and you'll come with us, and we won't leave till we find that food. Agreed?"

pife
2013-03-05, 12:30 PM
Master Karrel, you have my oath on it.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-05, 12:34 PM
Edward takes one last moment to look around before shrugging and turning to his assembled family. "Then let's go fishing."

Mike_the_Mystic
2013-03-05, 01:07 PM
"You came on a bit strong...But I liked it!" Jericho says as he pats Canthus on the shoulder "Let's make sure these folk don't get killed by...whatever these things are."

pife
2013-03-05, 01:59 PM
quietly to Jericho I don't plan on letting any without skills get near enough to the river to be in danger, mostly they will be there to help transport the equipment to the river, and after we handle the beasties, they can help with the fishing.. Of course, it's possible that several people here are more than what they seem, such as Azazel, who has interesting skills, and perhaps even Master Valkirk. He carries a sword, while the rest of these folk do not. Of course, if they scrounge up a few crossbows to provide us cover, all the better.

ArcturusV
2013-03-05, 02:34 PM
Now, it wasn't often that a thought occurred to Justin Valkirk, but he often had the wisdom to see a flaw in a plan. And with the knowledge there was a potential flaw, he waved over at the Shinies, signalling for them to come over to him as Jillian finished sucking the bones of the fish dry.

"Umm... one thing..." Justin said hesitantly after one of the Shinies approached him, he cared not which one. "... if we all get weapons and move out en masse... past the inn... wouldn't they get scared and mad? The Bressons that is. I mean, with all the..." Justin waved his hand around to encompass all the villagers in the church. "Would look like we're gettin' ready to gang up on 'em. And people get nasty when they're scared."

rgrekejin
2013-03-05, 02:39 PM
Azazel bounds outside to catch a ride down to the river. He'll want to stay in cat form if he can, but if trouble arises, he'll want to be on hand. He is capable of casting as a cat, but since doing so will almost certainly blow his cover anyway, he'll transform when he sees trouble, if he has time.

Azazel's Surrogate Spellcasting feat allows him to cast in cat form. Transforming is a standard action.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-05, 05:18 PM
The villagers, many of them experienced with ice-fishing from harsh winters of the past, seem relieved to have an immediate task set in front of them, and require little direction in rounding up ropes, lines, tarps and building supplies; the plethora of downed buildings around down has left an abundance of wooden boards and nails, for whatever plans are required.

Whatever specific instructions you want to give them, do so, but I'll mostly have them going about the bulk of the organization in the background, to save time. (So you don't have to lead ten different expeditions to go retrieve specific things from around town.)

pife
2013-03-05, 05:37 PM
The villagers, many of them experienced with ice-fishing from harsh winters of the past, seem relieved to have an immediate task set in front of them, and require little direction in rounding up ropes, lines, tarps and building supplies; the plethora of downed buildings around down has left an abundance of wooden boards and nails, for whatever plans are required.

Whatever specific instructions you want to give them, do so, but I'll mostly have them going about the bulk of the organization in the background, to save time. (So you don't have to lead ten different expeditions to go retrieve specific things from around town.)

Excellent, thank you.

At this point, Canthus would like to gather Brother Jericho and Justin to discuss the best way to get the beasties to engage while exposing ourselves the least, (and Azazel if he wishes to make himself known to Justin). Also, (and as a player, I'm not a fisherman, so I'm flying blind here) Canthus is ignorant of fishing, especially on ice, especially large scale, so he's just trying to get the best results with the labor force and equipment he has. But in the absence of a brilliant plan, he's perfectly willing to use himself as the bait (well attached to chains tied off to trees and held by villagers so he can't be pulled into the water and drown in his armor). Everyone else, chime in please

ArcturusV
2013-03-05, 06:07 PM
"Well you could stick your hand under the ice," Justin offered, probably not helpfully. He fetched up Jillian, who seemed to take one glance at the Paladin, and clacked her claws at him, almost as if showing displeasure, or threatening him. There was definitely something with how that crab was staring at him.

"Or blow up the Zombie River Elf. You got blowing up powers right? I heard you guys do. You all flash your shiny mark and things blow up. Zombies and such. Gotta work on Zombie River Elves. So just flash your shinies and POOF, over."

Justin smiled, proud of his "Clever" idea.

Mike_the_Mystic
2013-03-05, 10:14 PM
Brother Jericho, now decked in his holy raiment of platemail and wielding his morningstar and heavy shield, begins to discuss strategy with Canthus. "I may not be a fisherman, but I know how to hunt the hunters. We'll need bait, preferably somebody who is stronger than they look. When the beasts attempt to attack this person, they'll be in for quite a nasty surprise..."

And thus he turns to Justin, who has just finished explaining his plan.

"Unfortunately, the magic granted to me by my lord are subtle ones. Although I can attempt to cause the risen dead to flee, I'm not very good at it. Mostly because what I tend to track are creatures either immune to such powers, or are highly resistant. However, I can beat the beasts handily with my God's energies."

ArcturusV
2013-03-05, 10:33 PM
"So Shiny light, poof," Justin nodded, getting that the gist was still there, the shiny would call in some shiny powers and destroy the Zombie River Elf. He secured Jillian again, this time slipping her under his shirt, where the Hot Rock from his Prestidigitation was to help keep her warm, and safe.

"Just crack the ice. Shiny powers. Poof...." he stood up, having the idea well in mind now. He looked out towards the door of the Church, striding over to his equipment to pick up his weapons once more. Decisively strode over to the door, ready to put the plan in action. "Come on!" he called back to the Shinies as he cracked the door open and headed out into the snow...

pife
2013-03-05, 10:53 PM
to Jericho quietly when Justin walks away... You know, Brother, there's something not quite right with that lad. Good heart, but.. something's amiss.. And I don't think his lobster likes me. Shall we say a prayer and head out?

Mike_the_Mystic
2013-03-05, 11:18 PM
Brother Jericho nods in agreement "probably took a few blows to the head when he was young...But yes, let us give thanks to the Lord of Valor."

ArcturusV
2013-03-05, 11:45 PM
Justin heads out into the snows, making his way back towards the river, just the way that he came. Including walking past the Inn of the Bressons. When he got there he'd wave at whatever Bressons happened to be on guard.

"HEEEEEY! Me and the shinies are going to kill the Zombie River Elf with their Shiny Powers! Then we're gonna go get the rest of the fish out of the river so we can all eat!" he shouted at the Bressons cheerfully as he walked past their place, stopping so the Shinies could catch up, and so he could get his uncle's bow ready to fight.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-06, 12:00 AM
Azazel bounds outside to catch a ride down to the river. He'll want to stay in cat form if he can, but if trouble arises, he'll want to be on hand. He is capable of casting as a cat, but since doing so will almost certainly blow his cover anyway, he'll transform when he sees trouble, if he has time.

Azazel's Surrogate Spellcasting feat allows him to cast in cat form. Transforming is a standard action.

It takes a few minutes, but once the villagers start hauling supplies to the river, the snow is soon stamped down far enough for Azazel to walk on his own, even in cat form.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-06, 04:17 PM
The flurry of activity to and from the river begins to die down as the majority of the equipment is assembled along the banks; most of the townspeople are hesitant to venture out over the water itself, though the ice seems thick enough.

About a half-hour into the project, one of the Bresson children scurries out of the inn and leaves a bag of supplies along the path before retreating; the bag contains some strong line, several metal hooks and a selection of insects for bait.

pife
2013-03-06, 04:44 PM
About a half-hour into the project, one of the Bresson children scurries out of the inn and leaves a bag of supplies along the path before retreating; the bag contains some strong line, several metal hooks and a selection of insects for bait.

Well, at least that's something.

Canthus would like to gather Jericho, Justin, and any other villager (Like the Elder Karrel) that seems to have some willingness to speak and make decisions. I would like to hear any thoughts or theories on a) making a hole(s) in the ice, b) luring beasties out, and c) the most efficient method of fishing when the goal is as many fish as possible in as short a time as possible. I would also like to set several villagers to building fires in the largest kettles/braziers/cauldrons available for villagers to warm themselves, others to fill lanterns and stack torches and have them ready in case night falls before we're done, and, if it's feasible with the time and logistics involved, slapping together a rough lean-to or windbreak.

I'd also like some lengths of chain prepared, anchored on the riverbank with spikes, and, crazy as it sounds, I'd like a "straw man" (or wood, as the case may be, roughly the size and weight of a child, two arms, two legs, head, (it can be extremely rough formed, doesn't have to stand up to any major inspection) which I'm going to try to tease beasties out with by having it near the hole, and I would like it bolted/nailed to one of the lengths of chain. Assuming that, if cleared of snow, beasties could at least see shadows on top of the ice from underneath while the light still holds, I plan to toss/push/place my Pinocchio to the hole once we're all ready.

And I will go to the edge of the ice, and use my detect evil ability, walking a short distance up and down the riverbank to see if I can notice any fell beasty. (And yes, I would like one of the anchored chains attached to ME).

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-06, 05:03 PM
Questioning the villagers on how best to fish provokes so much debate that Canthus worries the old men will still be arguing by dawn; the general consensus, such as it is, is that nets are the way to go, but only after it's clear that the beast has been dispatched - the town can spare fishing line in abundance, but has only a few good nets.

The fires are built with some enthusiasm; at this point, however, the windbreak is redundant, as the piled snow is high enough to accomplish that on its own.

The village has only a few short lengths of chain; anchoring them to the shore is not really feasible. As an alternative, several villagers suggest tying them to heavy wooden crossbeams, that would be too large to fit through a hole in the ice themselves.

The straw child is assembled hastily; while it seems a sad and misbegotten thing, it is at least mildly human in outline.

Canthus's brief patrol shows no evil lurking within the waters, but he is uncertain how well his gaze can pierce the piled ice and snow, besides.

ArcturusV
2013-03-06, 06:52 PM
Justin, during the planning phases, looks out towards where the hole he originally knocked in the ice was, slightly curious. He would draw his blade out before he even moved close to the hole, still remembering the cold, wet, slimy feeling of that zombie elf hand grabbing him. He'd inspect the hole, make sure it wasn't any bigger than he remembered, or any signs that something crawled out of it (Or another fish jumped out of it).

If it was relatively unmolested and still there, Justin would point out the hole to the Shinies, "That's where that Zombie River Elf went and dragooned me!" he told them, and yes, Dragoon is nowhere near the appropriate word for it, "And nearly pulled me under! So get an axe, hack the ice thar, and then hit him with your shiny powers!"

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-06, 07:03 PM
Justin finds the hole unmolested, though it has frozen over again; at least a little more axe work will be required to clear it.

Back on shore, most of the preparations have been made - the townspeople, however, are more than a little hesitant to step out on the ice themselves, and most of them have either fallen back to the church, or stand huddled around the various fires. An hour or two of daylight yet remain; enough that, if the beast can be dispatched quickly, the nets may be in the water and collecting their prize before dusk truly falls.

So, I think it's final preperation and ice chopping time; from here on, if people could be more explicit about where they are and what they're doing, I'd appreciate it. (Make not of who stays on shore, who hangs around the hole, who stays a ways back, who does the actual chopping, etc.)

ArcturusV
2013-03-06, 07:29 PM
Back on shore, Justin having given his piece of wisdom and planning to the Shinies, he sheathed his sword, and drew out his bow again. He had an arrow in hand, ready to be drawn back and fired. He was quite content to stay out on the shore, far away from the cold, slimy grip of the Zombie River Elf. "Okay Shinies. Go get 'em!" he called out to them, at least looking like Justin was prepared to cover them with arrow fire from here.

rgrekejin
2013-03-06, 07:37 PM
Azazel prowls along the edge of the riverbank, occasionally wandering out onto the ice a little ways before turning back. After a moment's deliberation, he decides that he is perhaps better served closer to the action. He moves down onto the ice, staying close to Canthus and Brother Jericho, but not obtrusively so. Wherever he goes, he makes certain to maintain a clear view of the hole in the ice, should he need to attack at a moment's notice.

pife
2013-03-06, 09:07 PM
Heironius be with us, Brother.

In the absence of sufficient chain, Canthus is content to tie a rope to himself and ensure that several stout villagers have the other end. The "child" is also roped and held.

With his shield still on his back, hammer in one hand, and the "child" in the other, Canthus steps out tentatively onto the ice, ensuring as best he can that the ice is not going to collapse beneath him. When near enough, he's going to "try" to toss the "child" into the air, so that it comes down on the weakened thin ice that he's been informed of so eloquently by Justin, hopefully breaking through.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-06, 09:16 PM
In the bitter cold, the ice has already grown too thick for the straw child to break through; this will require work with axe or hammer.

pife
2013-03-06, 09:19 PM
Very well. The hammer it is.

Saying a short prayer to Heironius, Canthus sets the "child" down next to the weakened spot, and starts to carefully pound a hole through. He is being wary of cracks forming under him. He's also going to clear a small section around the "hole" and look for shadows under the ice before and during his work.

Mike_the_Mystic
2013-03-06, 09:26 PM
Brother Jericho stays halfway between where Canthus is and the shore. When he sees his Paladin brother attempt to break the ice with the doll, he chuckles. "You might want to use your hammer, Canthus!" he says with a grin at the thought of Canthus beating waves of evil beasts with the straw doll.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-06, 09:27 PM
With three villagers apiece hanging on to each rope, Canthus begins his work at clearing out the ice; chips fly away beneath the heavy swings of his warhammer, and every blow brings him closer to the rushing waters beneath.

Behind him, the rope-holders shift and stare nervously; even after giving up on chain, there was little enough sturdy rope to go around, so they stand uncomfortably just over the edge of the river, a healthy distance from the hole but still too close for comfort.

Where is Brother Jericho in all of this?

EDIT: Ninja'd. In that case, does Brother Jericho also have a rope tied to him? Or is he helping to hold onto Canthus's?

pife
2013-03-06, 09:32 PM
I'm hearin yer laughin' back there brother. Ha! Be glad I'm not usin' you for bait! Canthus chuckles amicably at his friend as he goes about his work.

We could both be tied to the same rope, with Jericho in the middle and myself at the end, to ensure we're both "anchored", so to speak..

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-06, 09:50 PM
What Canthus and Azazel See
With a few more swings of his mighty hammer, the last of the ice is cleared away, and for a moment Canthus is rewarded by the sight of the clear rushing waters beneath him; even from here, plentiful fish may be seen. Then, strangely, impossibly, the water begins to fall away, receding before their eyes, leaving nothing but a dark and empty hole, and the tortured groan of suddenly unsupported ice.

Canthus is left staring at the cracks spreading out beneath his feet as the ice suffers under the weight of man and snow atop it; even the slightest shift sends more fissures out across the glassy surface, and long before he can attempt to jump away it gives entirely. Azazel does a little better, instinct taking over and allowing him a single leap, but it's already too late, ice and snow both plumetting away beneath them, around them, both their worlds encased in white.
Yes, I did roll reflex saves for you guys - sorry for not doing it in-thread, but I didn't want to mess with the pacing. Azazel got a 12, Canthus nat-1'd.

What Jericho and Justin See
One moment, their friend is clearing away the last of the ice over the hole; the next, he's gone entirely, plummeting from view, the cat alongside him making a single bound before falling away as well in a rush of snow and ice. The rope lurches fast, too fast, and the villagers holding it are caught off guard, all three of them collapsing in a heap, the rope slipping from their fingers. Jericho has only a heartbeat to let his friend's lifeline rush past him, or grip tight and risk being pulled under himself; further back, Justin may lack even that unhappy choice, the tail end of the rope already a wild lunge ahead of him and retreating fast.

Jericho can decide to grab the rope or not, as he wants; Justin is further away, if he wants to try I'll need a reflex save.

ArcturusV
2013-03-06, 10:39 PM
"Shiny powers! USE THE SHINY POWERS!" Justin shouts out as he sees one of the shinies, and a supposedly perfectly innocent cat, fall into the river (I assume from the description I can't see that it's all a void under the ice). He pulls his arrow back, and rushes out forward onto the ice, ready to shoot a Zombie River Elf the first time he spies even a hint of one.

(In game terms: Advance 15' forward, ready attack action for spotting an enemy. He's not exactly sharp enough of a thinker to think of your fancy rope grabbing tricks. :smallwink: )

Mike_the_Mystic
2013-03-06, 11:32 PM
Jericho attempts to grab the rope in a split second decision.
[roll0]

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-06, 11:40 PM
Jericho attempts to grab the rope in a split second decision.
[roll0]

Assuming that was your check to hold on and keep your footing; if not... oops. :P

Jericho's strong hands grip the rope and hang tight at all costs; almost instantly, his feet are jerked out from under him, and his heavy form is drug sliding along the ice, towards the gaping hole through which Canthus fell seconds before. As he nears the edge of the hole, the ice gives out beneath him, and he disappears in a rush of fallen snow and ice.

Without thinking, Justin rushes forward to help his newfound friends, bringing him further out over the river. Beneath his feet, the ice...
[roll0]

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-06, 11:41 PM
Hasn't quite finished cracking; Justin can see white fern patterns spreading as the ice fractures beneath his feet. Already on crumbling ground, Justin has one moment's chance to leap aside, and..

Reflex Save: [roll0]

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-06, 11:43 PM
...is able to leap back, caught in the waiting arms of the villagers who drag him back from the still-crumbling ice. Before him, the walls of snow on either side of the path fall inwards, blocking his vision and leaving no sign of the fate of his fallen friends.

Progressing carefully will require clearing the snow, and be very slow. Or, Justin can rush forward blindly, and risk falling in.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-06, 11:51 PM
Canthus, Jericho and Azazel fall, and an avalanche of snow falls with them, blinding them for a moment buy serving to somewhat cushion their landing.
1d6 falling damage, everyone who fell.

As the flurries clear around them, they find themselves in a strange and otherworldly setting; around them, the river has somehow sunk to only a tiny stream at the middle, though thick mud still covers the walls around them. Piles of river plants and gasping, flopping fish line the floors, and above them, pale blue-tinted light is filtered through the ceiling of ice and snow, save for the one pure-white crack through which they can still see open sky.

Before they have a chance to pick themselves up, a voice can be heard out of the darkness, ancient and wet and cracking.

"Water ebbs and water flows, and Yethel is of the water," it says, and the sound of squelching footsteps can be heard from the mud outside the thin circle of light from the hole above. "Water flows and water drains; men sought to take but did not give, and what is left for old, cold Yethel?"

ArcturusV
2013-03-07, 03:19 AM
Justin lets out a slow, "Woooooooooooow!" as he sees the damage from the event, taking in stock of the river sundering, seeing a black pit beneath the ice, all the snow having crashed down. "Shiny powers sure are... wow... Almost fell in to the Shiny Pit of Blackness..."

He shook his head for a moment as he struggled to take it all in. "You think the Shinies killed the Zombie River Elf?" he asked whatever villager was nearby, preference for ones he recognized the most.

pife
2013-03-07, 07:57 AM
Damage roll
[roll0]

Shaking snow out of his helmet, Canthus ensures that he still has his hammer in hand before quickly standing and trying to face the direction the voice is coming from.

Yethel? Would knowledge religion or some other type of check be appropriate to see if I've ever heard this name before?

rgrekejin
2013-03-07, 09:34 AM
[roll0]
But I take one less due to damage reduction.

Azazel transforms and peers out into the gloom, his keen tibbit vision piercing the darkness...

Tibbits have Darkvision 60 feet.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-07, 10:27 AM
Azazel sees a hunched and pot-bellied old man pacing in the darkness, with kelp-like plants for hair, one long-nailed hand folded across his stomach, the other dragging a massive fish through the mud.

rgrekejin
2013-03-07, 10:43 AM
Azazel, speaking in a voice that he hopes is calm and quiet, asks:

What is it that they took, Mister Yethel? And what did you want in return?

pife
2013-03-07, 10:48 AM
Canthus is trying to assess his options..

How big is the area that is cleared of standing water? How far up is the hole? Is the temperature appropriate (freezing butt cold?) Did the voice sound angry, sad, singsong? (should I be thinking Smeegol-like tendencies)?
Is it reasonable to assume that "Yethel" is a name, by the way it was used in context? Does it seem male or female?

Canthus lowers his hammer so that he is not appearing threatening, but does unlimber his shield and has it ready to bring up in a heartbeat.

Have we interrupted or offended you? My apologies if it is so, we mean only to find food. using my detect evil ability in the direction of the voice. You say we seek to take but not to give. Is there a price, or perhaps a gift that may be given to allow us to receive the gift of your fish in return? Please, come into the light, that we may be properly introduced. I am called Canthus.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-07, 11:10 AM
The cleared area is pretty big; apart from the stream, it encompasses everything you can see, though you can hear roaring water in both directions. The temperature is warmer than it was up above, but still pretty close to freezing; the hole is about fifteen, twenty feet above you.

Mostly, the voice sounds old, as if the speaker is having trouble even speaking. It doesn't sound angry exactly, but is certainly rather sullen. Think "demented grandfather". "Yethel" does seem to be a name, and the voice sounds male.

Nothing shows up on Detect Evil.

Mike_the_Mystic
2013-03-07, 12:01 PM
Brother Jericho lands with an Oomph!
[roll0]

"What should we men give you ser Yethel? Do you have power over this river? Over the Ice and Snow?" Jericho asks with a sincere voice. He's weary of the thing he cannot see, but he trusts that numbers are on their side.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-07, 12:18 PM
Slowly, Yethel hobbles forward out of the gloom, green-skinned and ancient, crusty yellow nails clenched about a single fish, wet reeds and lichen hanging from his hair; with an almost casual gesture, he tosses the fish to to the ground before the party. "The river is bountiful and provides, and Yethel asks so little in return..." he creaks, taking a few shuffling steps, water dripping off of his twisted body. "Water flows and so does blood; Yethel remembers the taste of meat, red and wet and hot."

pife
2013-03-07, 12:34 PM
Yethel remembers the taste of meat, red and wet and hot."

(Canthus wishes that HE could remember the taste of meat, as his stomach growls loudly. But at least he knows now why Justin called this.. thing.. a River Elf Zombie.. <shudder>)..

Err.. Good Yethel, it is true that your river is bountiful. Yet please, speak more plainly. We are but newly met, and do not know what you desire in exchange for returning us to our friends and allowing us to fish. What kind of meat do you desire, and pray, where shall we get it from? The people above are starving in the cold, and you frightened my friends when they came to the river they have known so long, to fish as they always have.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-07, 01:03 PM
A distant look crosses Yethel's eyes. "Rivers split and flow apart; Yethel was, but was not allowed to be."

Yethel stares off into space for a moment longer before lurching forward, snatching up the previously dropped jealously and retreating step by step back into the darkness. "Rivers run and so should men; return with meat, Yethel cares not what or how, but red..."

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-07, 01:08 PM
On the surface, the villagers stare grimly out across the river; from the shore, the absence of water can't be seen. Harold lays a hand on Justin's shoulder. "I'm sure they did, son, but I don't think they'll be coming back... and the river is more dangerous than we thought. There'll be time to mourn later, but for now... I think it's time to led Edward deal with the inn...

Mike_the_Mystic
2013-03-07, 01:28 PM
Jericho gets up and politely bows. "Ser Yethel, you seem not like a malevolent being, I will try my best to find you red meat"

pife
2013-03-07, 01:37 PM
Jericho gets up and politely bows. "Ser Yethel, you seem not like a malevolent being, I will try my best to find you red meat"

Yes, Master Yethel, we will try. You have my oath on it. But first, good sir, the people above starve. They haven't the strength to send anyone to hunt in this unnatural cold. If you please, allow us to return to the surface, and allow us to fish enough that we can feed the young ones bellies. If you will do this, I will personally accompany the hunt to bring you fresh, hot, red meat, as much as you like.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-07, 01:53 PM
It's uncertain whether or not Yethel heard your words; the stopped green figure has already faded back into the gloom, leaving Azazel and the priests alone on the empty riverbank.

You guys can try to take some fish when you leave, but you get the idea it might make Yethel angry.

pife
2013-03-07, 02:02 PM
Juuuusssstiinnnnnn!!!! Throw down a rope, lad, Pull us out!

And assuming for some reason that Justin doesn't/can't hear me..

Azazel lad, how good are you at leaping?

Assuming we can't toss Azazel-the-cat out to get help
Quick, lad, put my boots on, they will assist you. We need you to jump out of the hole, and Jericho will never make it in our armor. Go, get a rope, and lower it to us, but be careful of sharp ice and cracking ice. But hurry, my feet will be freezing. Jericho, help me gather these fish, quickly. And are any of these plants edible?

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-07, 02:05 PM
The villagers around Justin are already turning to leave when Canthus's ample voice rises from the river; several stumble and fall back in surprise.

ArcturusV
2013-03-07, 02:59 PM
"The shinies did it," Justin said matter of factly, certain that they must be asking for a rope post Zombie River Elf Smiting. He reached into his pack, pulling out a length of rope. He cocked back his arm, about to throw the whole coil of rope down when he felt a pinch on his scalp, and a clack from Jillian.

"Oh... yeah. That makes sense..." Justin muttered. He looked towards the nearest villager who looked like something of a fit, strapping person and waved them over. He was tying the rope around his own waist, with quite a few feet extra on one end of the knot, and most of the rope on the other end. "Grounding," he said to the villager, as if that explained things, and tried to tie the rope around that villager's waist too, using the shorter end of the rope, "So this rope doesn't fall too."

Presuming he gets consent, and gets a second anchor point. He takes the other length of rope and chucks the end of it over the snow and towards the hole. "DID YOU SHINY POWER THE ZOMBIE RIVER ELF YET?" he shouted to Canthus and company as he tossed the rope.

Mike_the_Mystic
2013-03-07, 03:21 PM
"No Ser Valkirk, we'll explain when we get up there!" Brother Jericho shouts. Then, he slaps his palm onto his forehead, before grabbing his silk rope. "You would think I'd remember being prepared Canthus" Jericho says with a sarcastic tone "But even I have my moments!"

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-07, 03:45 PM
The rope falls down into the dried river bed; it looks a little too frayed for comfort, and the ice above creaks dubiously.

pife
2013-03-07, 04:05 PM
Given that Canthus has made his reasonable plea, and Yethel walked away without answering, he will assume that silence implies consent, and fill his pack with fish, dumping the original contents onto the ground if necessary, and implore Azazel and Jericho to do the same.

Thanks be to Heironius, and thanks be to Yethel, the village will have something to eat today!!

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-07, 04:09 PM
Hmmm... [roll0]

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-07, 04:12 PM
Yethel's voice comes out of the darkness once again, higher and angrier than before. "Water drains and water rises, and men have yet to give. Water rises and water floods; men will leave with what they brought, or men will be of the river."

pife
2013-03-07, 04:32 PM
diplomacy check
[roll0]

In a singsong voice

Yethel hungers for red meat, and paladin provides. Upon myoath, Yethel will feast, if waters yet abide. Crafty Yethel makes a deal that buys his weight in fish, yet starve my folk and drown my oath, and get nary a dish.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-07, 04:37 PM
diplomacy check
[roll0]

In a singsong voice

Yethel hungers for red meat, and paladin provides. Upon myoath, Yethel will feast, if waters yet abide. Crafty Yethel makes a deal that buys his weight in fish, yet starve my folk and drown my oath, and get nary a dish.

Both me and Yethel are confused by the singing, but okay. :smalltongue:

After a long moment, Yethel's voice can be heard one final time.

"Ice can break but oaths should not; Yethel took the water, and Yethel may bring it back. Rivers flood and claim their due; Yethel will feast, or the town will be of the river."

pife
2013-03-07, 04:46 PM
quietly to Jericho Brother, I need your counsel. We have at hand enough to feed everyone this night, but may risk all. What say you? I will challenge, or I will defer, at your word.

Mike_the_Mystic
2013-03-07, 05:00 PM
"We should not steal this being's fish. Bring him red meat, and we will have more than enough, I am sure of it." Jericho says to Canthus.

ArcturusV
2013-03-07, 05:05 PM
"Hey SHINIES? YOU DEAD? DID THE ZOMBIE RIVER ELF EAT YOU?" Justin shouted out into the hole. It had, after all, been a few moments since the rope was dangled down without a single tug on it.

pife
2013-03-07, 05:22 PM
"We should not steal this being's fish. Bring him red meat, and we will have more than enough, I am sure of it." Jericho says to Canthus.

Well, while I challenge the notion that these are "his" fish.. Yes. Yes, you are wiser than I, friend. It shall be as you say Canthus sadly drops the fish that are getting a liberal amount of slime on his armor.

Azazel, would you prefer to go up first? And though I believe these people can be trusted with your.. abilities.. I will honor your desire to keep it private. How you go back up is up to you, but either way, you are lightest, and should go first, unless I'm carrying you.

to Justin

Lad, this rope may or may not hold, and the same with the ice, but get some stout boys on your side, and pull when ye feel a tug on the rope

rgrekejin
2013-03-07, 06:09 PM
...I'll just go up as-is. Trying to stay disguised is proving to be more trouble than it's worth at this juncture, and I get the sense that these villagers are going to be seeing stranger things than a transforming cat before all this is over.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-07, 10:42 PM
The rope starts to rise shortly after Canthus tugs on it, and Azazel is slowly lifted up towards the lip of ice above him; as he reaches about the halfway point...

[roll0]

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-07, 10:43 PM
...absolutely nothing happens, and he is soon able to haul himself over the edge of the cliff and into the view of Justin and the bewildered townspeople.

"Um, Justin, that wouldn't happen to be your Zombie River Elf, would it?" Harold asks, a look of confused worry in his eyes.

ArcturusV
2013-03-07, 10:55 PM
Justin frowned and looked at it. "Well... it's not green..." he murmured, "Are you a zombie river elf?" he asked the transmogrified Tibbit point blank.

pife
2013-03-07, 11:42 PM
Jericho, you're next. If it looks like it's going to break, we can try taking your armor off and I can send it up after you once you're clear.

rgrekejin
2013-03-07, 11:44 PM
"Sorry to disappoint, kind sir" says Azazel with an elborate bow "I'm just your average friendly magical housecat, I'm afraid. Azazel's the name, pleased to meet you." Azazel offers Justin a handshake "That said, we certainly saw your zombie elf down there, and we struck a bargain with him. I'm sure the Shinies will tell you all about it, once we get them topside."

ArcturusV
2013-03-08, 12:37 AM
Justin frowned, looking down on Azazel as he mentions cutting a deal with the Zombie River Elf, then looks past the Tibbitman towards the hole, wondering when the Shinies were going to come up.

He glanced back at Azazel, and said flatly, "You're not a cat. You're a kid."

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-08, 12:39 AM
Harold glances back and forth between the two for a moment before sitting down heavily on the snow, staring off into space. "Why'd the liquor have to run out?"

rgrekejin
2013-03-08, 12:40 AM
Perhaps not at the moment, no.

Azazel transforms into a cat, and then back again.

But let's worry about that later, and see about what we can do about getting the Shinies back up here.

Azazel grabs hold of the rope, knowing that the more heavily armored priests are going to need all the help they can get being lifted out of the river.