PDA

View Full Version : The Last Paladin IC - Part III

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Maquise
2013-03-03, 02:18 PM
After finishing your meal, the two of you head to Lyanna's chambers. When you arrive, Lyanna opens the door. Wearing only a blanket, she seems in a particularly good mood. You do note how strange she looks, as she is not wearing her wig, leaving her scalp only covered by the shiny white scales.

"Karrin, Mira, what can I do for you this morning?"

Frosty
2013-03-03, 02:32 PM
"Well, when you're dressed, we'd like to talk about expeditions to find ancient artifacts. Y'know, stuff that you definitely like to do. We need to arm ourselves better and the inquisitor had mentioned paladin artifacts that can bolster us. We might as well go look for them before trying to slay undead Gorgeroth and more of Harbinger's lieutenants. Oh yeah, I almost forget. We once found this Ebony puzzle box with strange markings. I don't think we ever figured out what it does. Think you and Kensin might figure it out?"

(Hmm, that post was good, but wasn't quite what I was looking for. I remember a post where Ns'karra was talking to other demons I think? Maybe making a report? Or perhaps other demons talking *about* Ns'karra and saying not to trust her perhaps? I also remember an earlier dream sequence where the Thrones talked more about Ns'karra. I'm trying to piece together what kind of allegiances and rivalries might exist between the different demon factions. I do remember there being different factions, and Gorgeroth is under the control of one demonic group, as we see in that post.

Secondly, waaaay back, under the Link-something fort, we talked to some spirits of good that wanted us to find a sword or something. Can you remind me what that is? I seriously need a Quest Log, because we're now in video-game level of complexity. Which is good, cuz that means this campaign is awesome.)

[Fwee, linking back to Part II for posterity: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=254225&page=64]
OOC thread: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=226334

Maquise
2013-03-03, 02:40 PM
(If you start a log in the OOC Thread, I'll look it over and fill you in on anything you are missing.)

Lyanna brightens up, a feat considering that she is already about as cheerful as you thought physically possible. "I'll get right on it. It will be interesting to see what we can dig up, and I've kind of missed digging through old ruins. Not that the dwarven undercity wasn't fun."

"That depends on your definition of fun," Mirabelle says. "By the way, congratulations on getting laid."

Lyanna blushes, but smiles and says, "Err, thanks, I guess."

Frosty
2013-03-03, 02:58 PM
Karrin hands over the ebony box. "Mira, shall we go speak with the Duke and see what news there is before we go see the Inquisitor for details of the artifacts?"

Maquise
2013-03-03, 03:08 PM
"Sure," Lyanna immediately begins working on it, sitting down at the table.

"Don't you think you should get dressed?" Mirabelle asks.

"Later." Lyanna is concentrating wholly on the box.

Leaving her, you head to the throne room. You find both Adroven and the duke present. The inquisitor gives you a nod; if he knows of your possession he does not show it.

"Lady Ye," the duke says, "I give you my condolences for the loss of your companion, the half-orc Davkas. Due to the difficulties of yesterday, I was unable to express this. If you wish, you may speak with the epistolary, and he will ensure that your friend is honored as a hero of Whiteveil. I was wondering what your plans for the next stage of this war were."

Frosty
2013-03-03, 03:24 PM
Karrin nods back to Adroven, and bows to the duke. "I always have something to do, and it all depends on any sudden changes in priorities. My current continuing quest is to look for these artifacts that the good inquisitor has mentioned to me before, but that quest will be secondary to any sudden emergencies in the war effort. For example, if an outpost is under heavy attack or one of our village is about to be overrun by fiends, I will prioritize those over searching for artifacts. However, I do realize my limitations and wish to do strengthen myself when there is any lull in major fighting. Hence, artifacts. As for the epistolary, I will speak to Marcus right away. Davkas deserves an honored send-off."

(Thanks for digging up the old posts. I will now create a Quest Log in the OOC thread. Whenever it should get updated, please let me know.)

Maquise
2013-03-03, 03:37 PM
The duke says, "If you would wait a moment, Adroven has recently discovered something which may be of great benefit in that sense."

The inquisitor says, "As far as the war effort goes, we are holding the front against the Angrovites, in large part due to the aid of the dwarves which you procured. Unfortunately, our progress has been halted due to a hidden devil base somewhere within our territory. From this base, the devils can teleport in small groups and raid our forces.

The duke and I are hard at work discovering the location of this base, however, I do believe that you are better suited to finding relics of power to battle them. I have found leads on the location of the Archpaladin's Relics. These artifacts were given to the Archpaladin Meridous during the Time of Dragons. There are three of them; The Lance of Fate, the Sword of Retribution, and the Heart of the Beloved. I believe that the Sword is somewhere near Cabathad, the Lance was last known to be in possession of the elves, and the Heart is buried with Meridous. Unfortunately, I am not currently certain where his tomb is."

Frosty
2013-03-03, 03:42 PM
(I think we'll also need a quick list of major places, since I don't remember whether Cabathad has been mentioned before, for example)

"The elves? What do we know about them and where they reside currently? I suppose I could lead another diplomatic envoy to them if they have common goals with us. And the Heart of the Beloved, what exactly does it do?"

Maquise
2013-03-03, 04:08 PM
"When the Cataclysm began, the elves held territory that nearly rivaled the Pryvirian Empire in size. However, they abandoned most of this to the fiends, retreating behind a large magical barrier they call the Spirit Fence. This encloses the core of their domain, which is now all they control. The only way in or out is the city of Vitharn, which serves as the gate to the Spirit Fence. Regardless, they do not allow outsiders beyond Vitharn. As for the Heart, it is a suit of armor that Oralius gave to Meridous. It is said to have a large ruby set onto the breastplate that grants the wearer magical powers when the person they love most is nearby."

Frosty
2013-03-03, 06:35 PM
"Do we know why the elves are in possession of the Lance of Fate? And what can I do to help pinpoint the locations of the other two artifacts?"

Maquise
2013-03-03, 08:33 PM
"Traditionally, the elves have always been closest to Akasha. They built his High Temple, and made up the majority of his priesthood. Each of the Relics were gifted by a specific Throne, and the Lance was Akasha's. After Meridous's death, the Lance was taken and placed within the vaults of the High Temple.

Several years ago I traveled to the High Temple of Akasha. The altar was desecrated, and most of the structure torn down, but I found that the vaults were sealed and untouched by evil. I opened them, but found the lance and everything else of importance had been removed. I was later able to confirm that the elves took everything with them when they left.

I've hit a dead end searching for the tomb of Meridous. I have no idea where you could look, unfortunately. As for the Sword, I would suspect more precise information could be found in Cabadath itself. Beware, though, for Cabadath is an isolated city, and has been suspicious of outsiders since before the Cataclysm."

Frosty
2013-03-03, 08:39 PM
"And our relations with the elves? Friendly?"

Maquise
2013-03-03, 08:43 PM
To this the duke says, "The elves have taken a policy of isolation, and xenophobia runs strong amongst them. They seem to blame humans for unleashing the fiends, despite the fact that their own mages, though they may or may not have actively participated, were fully complacent."

Frosty
2013-03-03, 09:22 PM
"Think they'd just turn me away for being human? Hey, the arch-paladin was a human right?"

Maquise
2013-03-03, 09:27 PM
"That is... a rather convoluted matter. You see, the arch-paladin was a neth."

Adroven lets the duke elaborate. "The neth were the parent race from which both humanity and elfkind, as well as halflings, orcs, and some other races, descend from. They were for all practical intents and purposes the first humanoid race."

Frosty
2013-03-03, 09:30 PM
"I need to brush up on my history more. Tell me, *when* was the Arch-paladin alive and active? I've never even heard of the Neth. I'll need to find someway to show that I'm worthy of the elves' trust and worthy as a successor to the Arch-paladin."

Maquise
2013-03-03, 09:40 PM
"The Arch-Paladin, also called the First Paladin, was born during the Time of Myth, the first age when the world had just been born. By modern standards, though, his lifespan was immense, as long as some dragons. Back then, the Primorduum, the substance of creation, was still fluid. It was like clay; having been sculpted by the gods, it was still yet wet. As a result, most of the things we recognize as natural law were still then malleable. The neth varied greatly in appearance by lineage and homeland. As the primorduum stabilized, the 'clay' hardened, the neth found that those of their kind who had developed to be radically different from one another could no longer breed. It was at that point that they ceased to be neth and became elf, orc, human. Some of these races are still capable of breeding, as evidenced by half-elves and half-orcs."

Frosty
2013-03-03, 10:11 PM
"And presumeably the Arch-paladin loved and cherished all the people, regardless of the flavor of clay? I hope? Is there some convenient religious book of parables about the Arch-paladin I could quote to these elves or something? I've got a feeling that what I did with the dwaves won't work with the elves. At least the dwarves gave me a chance to prove myself."

Maquise
2013-03-03, 10:29 PM
"You may wish to discuss this with your companion Lyanna," Adroven says. "She would likely know more of this."

"The elves are a fickle race, and their thoughts are erratic and strange," the duke says. "Should you seek them out, take care. You never know what may happen."

Frosty
2013-03-03, 10:41 PM
"I will go talk to Lyanna and go to your libraries to do more research on both the elves and Cabadath, then decide where to go next. Thank you for your time. Oh one more thing, duke. Would you happen to know what an Astral Shark is, and where I might find one?"

Maquise
2013-03-03, 10:47 PM
The duke nods. "An Astral Shark is a predator native, axiomatically, to the Astral Plane. It is in fact unable to survive anywhere else. Why do you ask?"

Frosty
2013-03-03, 11:20 PM
"Apparently, our royal smith feels that he can make some sort of epic weapon if he has the skin of an astral shark, amongst other things. I figured you'd know about astral sharks and how I might get such a skin. I also need to find a silverwood tree, and knowing my luck, the only place to find such a tree is in the elven lands. Its wood is another item for the weapon."

Maquise
2013-03-03, 11:37 PM
"Traversing the Astral Sea can be difficult at times, however, hunting an astral shark would not be amongst the most difficult of tasks. I will instruct my acolytes to prepare an expedition for you. In the meantime, I will leave you to your research. You are dismissed."

You head for the library, and find Lyanna there, surrounded by tomes, codices, scrolls, volumes, and grimiores. "Hey. I solved the puzzle box, and look what I found inside?" She holds up a small ring. It is gold, and has a single diamond, cut into the shape of a shield. "I've already confirmed that it possesses faint abjuration magic."

Frosty
2013-03-03, 11:41 PM
"Great job, Lyanna! If we're lucky, this allows me to take damage for others. If not, it probably just makes the wearer harder to hit. Can we determine its exact properties?"

Maquise
2013-03-03, 11:43 PM
(Sorry, I forgot to include it in the last post. Its a Ring of Protection +1.)

Frosty
2013-03-03, 11:52 PM
"Hmm...you or Kensin or Mira should wear it. My divine abilities often give me extra protection against physical attacks already."

Maquise
2013-03-03, 11:58 PM
Lyanna shrugs. "My scales give me added protection, so I might not need it. Maybe we should give it to Grembler; he's not all that strong, and any intelligent enemy will try to incapacitate him quickly. Anyway, what did you need me for?"

Frosty
2013-03-04, 12:14 AM
"Well, I'm looking for a few things..." She mentions the shark, the tree, and the flawless diamond. "I also need you to do research on the elves and also about this place called Cabadath. Heard both are pretty xenophobic."

Maquise
2013-03-04, 12:25 AM
"Well, a diamond's a diamond, it's just a matter of finding a big one. Silverwoods grow mainly inside the Spirit Fence, but there might be a few outside the walls. I couldn't tell you much about the shark, sorry." She thinks about the names. "The closest we could get as an outsider into the Elven lands is to enter Vitharn. Doesn't matter who you are; you're either out or in, and there's no going in between. Not for anyone, even blood." She seems a little gloomy with the last statement. "As for Cabadath, what you've heard is pretty much it. The nobility is highly insular and suspicious; has been for a long while. Before the Cataclysm, even. Not much news goes in or out."

Frosty
2013-03-04, 12:27 AM
"So...we're outsiders to the elves, obviously. Is there any way to become insiders? I doubt the lance of awesomeneness is in Vitharn."

Maquise
2013-03-04, 12:39 AM
"Not that I know of. I was raised in Vitharn, spent twenty years there. After that, I was offered a choice; live amongst the elves and never leave the Spirit Fence, or go out into the world and never step any closer to the elven lands than Vitharn. When I chose to become an archeologist, my decision was met with approval; finding relics of our lost past is a most necessary task."

Frosty
2013-03-04, 12:51 AM
"Wait, so you're doing this for your people, and because of that they'll reward you by not letting you back home, essentially? Or at least deeper into home."

Maquise
2013-03-04, 01:14 AM
"It's nothing personal. Not even our greatest warriors who fight on the outside are allowed in. There is a belief, unfounded or not, that anything that is exposed to the fiends is tainted and could bring ruin to the elves if it is allowed inside."

Frosty
2013-03-04, 01:31 AM
"Well, I guess we're not getting in for a while then. Maybe if I had another one of the artifacts I could prove myself worthy. So, let's plan an expedition to Cabadath. We need more information somehow."

Maquise
2013-03-04, 10:22 AM
"I'll start looking into it," Lyanna says. "There isn't much, but whatever there is to know about the city, we'll know it before we leave."

Mirabelle says, "I wonder if we'll go hunting astral shark before we leave, or after."

Frosty
2013-03-04, 10:53 AM
"Well, it depends on how long Lyanna's research takes compared to how quickly the acolytes can get us ready. I think Ironman will enjoy a hunt. I'll take Grembler and Kensin as well if they want to come."

Maquise
2013-03-04, 11:00 AM
"Good idea," Mira says, "but what about Skeever? I haven't seen him since we got back from Azkard."

Frosty
2013-03-04, 11:08 AM
"I don't think he'll want to risk his life, but we can ask him. The question is, do you want him watching your back?"

Maquise
2013-03-04, 11:13 AM
Mira sighs. "That's the real question, isn't it? Although, you seemed to believe in Grembler, and that turned out alright in spite of everything. My question is, what are your plans concerning him?"

Frosty
2013-03-04, 11:59 AM
"Well, I want to *show* him Good, and how it's a better way to live. Maybe we should bring him along, show him how I and others are risking our lives for you despite not having a material reward for ourselves."

Maquise
2013-03-04, 12:19 PM
"That sounds like a good idea, but I'll be keeping my eye on him, and I trust you'll do the same." Mira stands up. "I don't think I'll be of much help to you, Lyanna, and I've got some excess energy to burn off. I'll be on the training grounds."

Frosty
2013-03-04, 12:39 PM
"Lyanna, keep me posted on your progress. I'm going to train a bit too."

Karrin may not be able to spend time in bed with Mira, but she can still spend other quality time.

Maquise
2013-03-04, 12:47 PM
The two of you find an isolated section of the training grounds, and take up the wooden weapons. Mira grabs a sword, and you take a weapon of your choosing.

"I notice you seem to agree with Hurgim," Mira says as she practices her footwork. "He seems to prefer two-handed weapons and heavy armor."

Frosty
2013-03-04, 03:20 PM
"I'm just not that quick. It's why I ride on Trombe. And if I need to crunch the thick hide of outsiders, two-handing it lets me hit harder. I'd get hit less with a shield, yes, but sometimes the best defense is a good offense." The paladin practice precise thrusts and stabs.

Maquise
2013-03-04, 03:27 PM
"That's true, which is one of the reasons I like this new shield. The bone spike let me use it as a weapon and for defense at the same time. That's also why I took the biggest sword I could get ahold of when I went after the orcs. It was so big it took me a while to figure out how to use it with only one hand."

The two of you spar for a while. Once the two of you have finished, Mira sits down with you. "So, what do you think we'll find in Cabathad?"

Frosty
2013-03-04, 03:38 PM
"Lots of people you'll...*we* will want to kill, but whom we'll probably end up trying to save from themselves. Oh, and hopefully a holy sword that makes yours look puny." Karrin sticks her tongue out.

Maquise
2013-03-04, 03:45 PM
"Ugh. Why does everyone in authority have to go out of their way to hinder our efforts? Well, I guess that's something of an exaggeration. Everyone in Whiteveil's been useful up to this point. And we'll see who's sword is bigger when Hurgim's finished."

Frosty
2013-03-04, 03:51 PM
"Because if everyone cooperated, I'd be almost superfluous? The world would be just fine if people worked together...like you and I work together."

Maquise
2013-03-04, 03:54 PM
Dusk approaches, and a servant informs you that the acolytes will be ready to take you to the Astral Plane in the morning.

Frosty
2013-03-04, 04:00 PM
Karrin takes Mirabell to go see ask the others if they want to come. They ask Ironman first, who probably joins. Then they go one by one tot he rest of the group.

Maquise
2013-03-04, 04:05 PM
You find that all of your companions, including Skeever, are willing to come. You address the acolyte in charge.

"It might be... difficult to include the automaton, due to nature of the magic involved."

Frosty
2013-03-04, 04:11 PM
"Can you do a test run to the astral realm and back for Ironman to see if it'll work?"

Maquise
2013-03-04, 04:14 PM
"It is... fairly difficult to actually access the Astral Realm directly. Rather than attempt it, all we need for this particular journey is to project bodies of light into the Realm. The difficulty is that without a soul, Ironman has nothing to project."

Frosty
2013-03-04, 04:36 PM
"Next up. Getting you a soul, Ironman! That ought to be easier than getting the elves to open up right?" she says jokingly. "Well, in any case, I guess Ironman has to stay here for tomorrow expedition."

Karrin silently wonders if Skeever is going along just to protect Lyanna.

Maquise
2013-03-04, 04:42 PM
"I will make the final preparations. We will be ready when you are." By now the sun has set.

Frosty
2013-03-04, 05:39 PM
"Thank you, acolyte." Karrin takes Mira, Lyanna, and Skeever aside to talk for a moment. "Skeever, I'd like to thank you for volunteering to help, even though there's no direct material benefit for you."

Maquise
2013-03-04, 05:44 PM
"Ehh, in my experience, hangin' back at the nest don't get ya no opportunities. This, Astral-place thing, wherever it is, sounds like a dangerous place, but where there's danger, there's profits me mum always says."

(Before I forget, you've gained a level.)

Frosty
2013-03-04, 06:04 PM
(oh wow! I hadn't expected it so soon! Yay!)

"Plus, both Mira and Lyanna are grateful for your assistance. Lyanna and Mira are great friends, and Lyanna wants to see Mira have better equipment, so she's excited to help."

Maquise
2013-03-04, 06:12 PM
(Well, you did bring Azkard in as an ally, which was a major victory, and you gain levels from major victories.)

"Oh is she?" Skeever's tone is a lower, possibly in an attempt at being seductive. He gazes half-lidded her, flexing one of the bony ridges that serves as an eyebrow on the hairless reptile.

Lyanna covers her face with her palm, and speaks so only you can hear. "Karrin, I know you're trying to help, but could you please not encourage him?"

Frosty
2013-03-04, 06:33 PM
Karrin smiles. "You and Kensin can handle him, I'm sure."

Before she forgets, she asks the acolytes if Trombe can be transported along as well, and how her summoning powers interacts with the fact that Trombe's body and soul would be separated at the time.

Maquise
2013-03-04, 06:42 PM
"If Trombe is included in the ritual," the acolyte says, "then your powers should interact with him as normal.

I believe I should explain the nature of the ritual in greater detail. We shall descend into the Reflecting Caves beneath the city, to a place prepared for us. There, with myself as your guide, we shall lie while bodies of light are projected into the Astral Realm. Should anything happen to our bodies of light, our physical bodies will be affected as well, so there is still risk. A vessel for our journey has been crafted, as it is dangerous to traverse the Astral Realm alone."

Frosty
2013-03-04, 07:07 PM
"And how would we bring our equipment with us? Would they even work int he astral plane? My potion of healing certainly doesn't have a soul. If I can bring it along, and I drink it, does it disappear in the physical realm?"

Maquise
2013-03-04, 07:12 PM
"Any magical effects placed on our physical forms will transfer over the link to our projections, and vice versa. For example, because your armor is magical, a projection of it will be present on you when we arrive. However, items like potions are not so closely connected to the body, and will not translate. Instead, while we are away, we will be watched by attendants who will, for example, be able to administer potions if they see one of us injured. They will also be scrying us in the Astral Realm, so that we may communicate with them."

Frosty
2013-03-04, 07:21 PM
"So...that means if we can somehow grab or net the astral shark, we can *drag* it back into the physical realm and then watch it suffocate? Hmm, do we have harpoons?"

Maquise
2013-03-04, 08:26 PM
"I can arrange for some to be prepared," the acolyte says. "If we are fortunate, we can minimize the risks to ourselves."

Frosty
2013-03-04, 10:28 PM
"So, how do we get *back* to the material realm, since we're talking about dragging the shark back?"

Maquise
2013-03-04, 10:33 PM
"Our bodies of flesh and of light will be tethered, and when the ritual is ended, we shall return to our bodies of flesh. We have included provisions to ensure that we bring the shark with us. All is accounted for."

Frosty
2013-03-04, 10:54 PM
"And have some sharp knives ready. We want to skin it quickly, just in case there's a time limit. And, waste not, want not. I propose we make soup out of the rest. I've always wanted to try astral shark fin soup..."

The rest of the night is spent at the house of healing, helping epistolary Marcus with healing, and also talking about theories and applications of ressurection. "See, since the main problem is the cessation of the body doing the whole 'living' thing from damage, why *shouldn't* pumping a whoooooole lot of positive energy be able to restore people back to life? I'm not talking about old age here."

Maquise
2013-03-04, 11:03 PM
"There are effectively two ways to look at being alive. There is the activity of the flesh; the beating of the heart, the breath in the lungs, and the other natural processes. The other way is that the body and soul are connected. It is the soul that provides the impetus for the body to endure; when positive energy is applied to a being, the soul effectively gains the power to push the body back into its proper, uninjured form, as opposed to natural healing which simply encourages the body to return there of its own accord. Regardless, this is why raising the dead is so difficult; simply adding positive energy does nothing if the soul is gone. The soul must be returned."

Frosty
2013-03-04, 11:51 PM
"Well, the soul *wants* to come back right? At least, most people who die early would want to come back. I know Davkas would. When a person dies, the soul goes to the realm of the god that the person worships right? Assuming the god wants that person to comtinue doing important things in thi realm, we need but ask respectfully I hope? Or maybe create some sort of magical beacon to light the way for the soul."

Maquise
2013-03-04, 11:59 PM
"Yes, ideally a method would provide both of these in order to ensure the soul's return to their body. Mind you this is not unthinkable; it has been done in ages past, but the number of successful attempts throughout history can be numbered with only two hands."

Frosty
2013-03-05, 12:27 AM
"Well, the duke is a strong magician is he not? Surely someone of his stature has the magical...muscle necessary. Is it mostly the theory we're stuck at? Or do we lack a certain magical component? I imagine the construction of a soul-beacon has to be made from something special. Something that can resonate directly with the soul."

Maquise
2013-03-05, 12:32 AM
"It would be a bit more complicated than that. It would have to be another soul, preferably one with close ties to the deceased. And being used as a beacon would likely result in deterioration of that soul in the process, unless a proper substitute was found which could serve to absorb the damaging output of energy. It would need to be a jewel, of course, and I suspect that only diamond would suffice."

Frosty
2013-03-05, 12:38 AM
"How do you know all of this? You have must done much research yourself. Are you close to developing a magical formula for this? Grembler would be so happy if Davkas could be brought back...well, that is, if we can retrieve to body somehow."

Maquise
2013-03-05, 12:42 AM
"Unfortunately, I am yet far from sufficiently powerful enough to supply that much energy, and the duke's power is not of the nature of healing. Besides, a body desecrated by negative energy is that much more difficult to restore."

Frosty
2013-03-05, 01:14 AM
Karrin sighs. "Yeah, I'll bet. Well, if you ever perfect the technique, I've got a boatload of energy to supply..."

The paladin yawns. "I should try to get some rest. It's pretty difficult to do lately, and we've got a big day ahead of us.."

Maquise
2013-03-05, 10:58 AM
You retire to your chambers. Seeing a bath has been drawn, you quickly wash yourself, pausing to simply relax in the warm water.

After it cools, you spend a short while in prayer and meditation. You then go to sleep for the evening. Your night is blessedly peaceful and devoid of intrusion. You awake then next morning feeling refreshed and energized.

Frosty
2013-03-05, 12:39 PM
Karrin wakes up the next day, ready to have a good fight. SHe goes and makes sure that Trombe is well-fed and equipped, and makes sure everyone is comfortable and ready.

Maquise
2013-03-05, 02:01 PM
You suit up, preparing everything you think you will need. After meeting with your companions and preparing Trombe, the seven of you meet with the acolyte.

"Come, everything is prepared." You follow him through the castle, down a set of stairs that leads deep below. You follow him through the dark tunnels of the castle, past the dungeon and through a set of doors heavily sealed both physically and magically.

You come out into a vast cavernous chamber, with a pair of crossing suspended stone paths. (http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110521142742/amnesia/images/d/d3/ChancelArt.jpg) The floor of the chamber, many yards below, is covered in growths of a strange blue-green crystal, some up to five feet in height. The acolyte leads you over the paths, and through some of the natural cave tunnels. Eventually you come to a ritual chamber, with several other acolytes present. There is an arcane circle in the center of the room. Several supplies, including the requested harpoons, are already present.

Frosty
2013-03-05, 02:39 PM
Harpoons, and hopefully several emergency potions as well. "This place...it is beautiful. Lyanna, I bet you could get lost in this place for days and you'd still have something to study."

Maquise
2013-03-05, 02:44 PM
Lyanna says something in Elvish. "I've seen places like this in Vitharn, but..."

The acolyte says, "You did not think humans capable of such a feat?"

"I'll admit, it's a fairly commonly held belief amongst the elves. In retrospect, an obviously incorrect one. If you can hold back the devils, you are obviously amongst the best magicians in Validor, regardless of race."

Frosty
2013-03-05, 02:52 PM
"Well, the elves have their spirit wall. Whiteveil has the Duke. So, now what? do we lie down somewhere?"

Maquise
2013-03-05, 03:00 PM
"Indeed. I shall begin the ritual as soon as you are ready. "

The eight of you lie down, save Trombe who remains standing, in the manner of sleeping horses. You feel yourself grow drowsey as the light and sound in the room morphs into a hypnotic pattern.

You see stars, and feel yourself pulled along as though by a river current. You see the facets of the cavern crystals flash as they propel you like a lodestone. Eventually you find yourself standing on a shard of mirror suspended with a sea of silver above and below. You and your companions luminesce, but seem insubstantial like ghosts.

(G2g to work)

Frosty
2013-03-05, 04:48 PM
The paladin is momentarily disoriented. Where's up? Where's down? Is there gravity? "This is so...strange...and beautiful at the same time." She touches one hand with the other. She seems substantial to herself at least.

Maquise
2013-03-05, 08:22 PM
You look around. Your companions join you, each grasping a harpoon (javelin stats, plus grab).

"Here, fishy fishy fishy..." Mira says.

Frosty
2013-03-05, 08:39 PM
Karrin tries to charge her hand with positive energy. "I hope I can still heal you all while we're here..." The paladin tests out how gravity works (or not) in this plane.

Maquise
2013-03-05, 08:45 PM
You find your powers flow just as easily here as they did in the Material Realm.

You find you can propel yourself through will; gravity does not seem relevant in that respect. You more carefully examine your surroundings. You seem to be hovering above a disc of diamond or remarkably pure crystal. "Beware," the acolyte says, "Do not stray too far, or you may become lost."

Frosty
2013-03-05, 09:07 PM
Karrin points to the crystal. "What IS that? Is looks crystalline." The paladin checks how Trombe is doing with navigation.

Maquise
2013-03-05, 09:10 PM
The acolyte says, "The best way to describe it might be an island, or a boat. We created it to serve as an anchor while in this realm." Trombe seems to be doing alright, though he is not moving far from the disc.

Frosty
2013-03-05, 09:17 PM
Karrin tries mounting Trombe and practicing some charging maneuvers (short ones as to not wander far). "So, how do we find a shark?"

Maquise
2013-03-05, 09:24 PM
"We shouldn't have to wait long," the acolyte says, "They should be coming soon."

In fact, off in the distance, you think you see some silvery shapes move in the expanse of emptiness.

Frosty
2013-03-05, 11:24 PM
(How is riding Trombe in the Astral Plane turning out?) "Alright, I don't want anyone to get hurt. I will try to keep the shark...or sharks...distracted while you all FIRE the harpoons! Acolyte, if we kill a shark here, we can still bring it back right?"

The paladin wields her lance with confidence.

Maquise
2013-03-05, 11:53 PM
You are able to hide Trombe just as well.

"Yes," the acolyte says. "Beware, they are cunning hunters."

Frosty
2013-03-06, 12:02 AM
(is there a map of the terrain, as wierd as that may sound? Also, are the sharks "submerged" in anyway or are they just moving in plain view through the astral like the party is?)

Maquise
2013-03-06, 11:19 AM
(The sharks are floating the same as you are. Also, this is an experiment, I'm going to try to map this in 3 dimensions. There are two tabs, one vertical, one horizontal. I make no promises on how smoothly this will go. Speed is the same moving on all axes.) (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AoH1w8LcWuFgdHdiaEVnRm5WTU8yakZ5c0xnYk5BR VE#gid=1)

Frosty
2013-03-06, 11:33 AM
(Before we do combat, I should level up. Been sooo busy at work heh so I'll have to wait till tonight. Oh yeah, Archetypes for animal companions are now available. Since we're doing level ups, can I let Trombe have the Bodyguard archetype (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/druid/animal-companions/animal-companion-archetypes/bodyguard-companion-archetype)? It's what Karrin ahs been training Trombe to do a lot anyways in the past.)

Maquise
2013-03-06, 11:41 AM
(I don't have an issue with that. I guess I'll hear from you later then)

Frosty
2013-03-06, 11:46 AM
(I'll be able to chat a bit when I have breaks, but I can't spend time during work to do full-on leveling up. I'll probably chat in the OOC thread instead of here)

Frosty
2013-03-07, 01:57 AM
(Leveling up done. I don't see the sharks on the map yet)

While she has the chance, Karrin makes sure to call forth the blessings of the Thrones to make herself stronger. If these sharks like to bite, then Karrin certainly wants the strength to resist! Trombe trots forward to the front, ready to intercept any attack.

Karrin casts Bull's Strength on self.
Trombe, having learned the In Harm's Way (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/in-harm-s-way-combat) feat, is ready to give Karrin +2 AC, and if Karrin gets hit, spend an immediate action to take a hit. And, both Karrin and Trombe have Alertness when next to each other thanks to the Bodyguard Archetype.

Maquise
2013-03-07, 10:27 AM
You watch as the sharks grow closer, breaking off so that two come from below, one above.

Initiative:
Grembler - 21
Lyanna - 19
Skeever - 16
Kensin - 14
Karrin - 9
Mirabelle -7
Sharks - 5

Grembler readies to hex the first shark that comes into range. Lyanna, holding a harpoon, prepares to throw it at the first shark that comes into range, as does Kensin. Skeever applies a thick substance to the blade of his dagger.

Frosty
2013-03-07, 10:48 AM
(As a reminder, the Ring of Protection was given to Grembler. Presumably he was happy. I'll again be very busy today and probably not post too much. Did you manage to get the links?)

Maquise
2013-03-07, 10:49 AM
(Yes, I got them)

Frosty
2013-03-07, 08:36 PM
Karrin Ye (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=353698)
HP: 96/96 /// Saves: 14F / 9R / 19W [+2/2/2 Morale bonus]
AC: 21 = 10 ARMOR + 1 DEX
Conditions: LoH 9/9, Smite Evil 3/3, Heroism, Bull's Strength

Trombe (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=364085)
HP: 77/77 /// Saves: 13F / 12R / 8W
AC: 19 = 4 ARMOR +4 NATURAL + 2 DEX -1 SIZE
Conditions: Devotion (+4 vs enchantment)

"PHYSICALLY WEAKER PEOPLE IN THE CENTER! Make sure they can't drag them away!" Karrin uses the time before the battle actually commenses to summon forth the powers of her armor. Trombe is ready to defend any allies within his range (up to 3 times per round) and will take a hit for the first friendly target hit. He gets into position by floating a bit above the rest of the party.

Trombe moves to 12-M on the X-axis, and 10-M on the Y-axis, and readies an action to kick any shark that comes near

Karrin: Use Heroism from armor. Has lance ready.
Power Attack: Off

Maquise
2013-03-07, 09:12 PM
Mirabelle raises her harpoon, ready to strike the first shark in range.

The sharks move in, two below, one above. Mirabelle throws her harpoon, and hits the upper shark. The harpoon holds. Lyanna and Kensin both throw theirs as well; Lyanna's hits but does not hold, and Kensin's misses. Skeever throws a dagger coated with a sticky substance; it hits squarely, embedding itself in the astral creature's flesh.

Grembler immediately hexes another shark, in an effort to dull its attacks. Lyanna moves to aid Mirabelle in securing the harpooned shark, while Skeever ties down the other end of the rope. Kensin floats up, and slashes the captured creature.

Frosty
2013-03-08, 12:32 AM
Karrin Ye (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=353698)
HP: 96/96 /// Saves: 14F / 9R / 19W [+2/2/2 Morale bonus]
AC: 21 = 10 ARMOR + 1 DEX
Conditions: LoH 9/9, Smite Evil 3/3, Heroism, Bull's Strength

Trombe (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=364085)
HP: 77/77 /// Saves: 13F / 12R / 8W
AC: 19 = 4 ARMOR +4 NATURAL + 2 DEX -1 SIZE
Conditions: Devotion (+4 vs enchantment)

"Keep on hitting it til it's down!" shouts Karrin as she also tries to hit the tied-up shark. Once it becomes unconscious then Karrin wil focus on the others. Karrin stabs twice while Trombe bites and kicks.

Trombe 5-ft floats closer to the harpooned-shark, then Full-attacks

Bite: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
Hoof1: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]
Hoof2: [roll4]
Damage: [roll5]

Karrin: Full attacks the same shark!
Power Attack: Off
Attack1 (+2 Heroism, +2 Bull's Str): [roll6]
Damage (+2 Heroism, +3 Bull's Str): [roll7]
Attack2: [roll8]
Damage: [roll9]

Frosty
2013-03-08, 12:34 AM
Crit Confirm (+2 Heroism, +2 Bull's Str): [roll0]
Crit Damage (+2 Heroism, +3 Bull's Str): [roll1]

Maquise
2013-03-08, 12:41 AM
You put your lance through the shark's head, ending its struggles. While your companions work to repel the other two, the acolyte reverses the ritual. You suddenly experience an intense feeling of vertigo, as though you were falling from a great height. Indeed, the world seems to fall away from you.

You awake back in the crystal cave, with all of your companions in addition to one dead shark.

Frosty
2013-03-08, 12:45 AM
"Well, that was quite the success. Well done, everyone! Feels almost wrong...a mission being this easy. No, I won't stare a gift horse in the mouth. If the rest of the items are as easily gotten, I'll deal with the boredom in return for the safety of my friends. Thank you, acolyte. Now...to skin it..."

Maquise
2013-03-08, 12:56 AM
"Can't be that much different than skinning anything else," Mirabelle says, drawing a knife.

The acolyte objects, "I will have the servants move it, but not here! This is a ritual chamber, not a butchery shop."

Frosty
2013-03-08, 01:00 AM
Karrin smiles at the acolyte. "Of course you're right. Mira, put the knife away. We'll help move the shark to a more suitable location for skinning and butchering. Perhaps the kitchens? I'm dying to see what this thing tastes like. Maybe make a gift of the dish to the duke?"

Maquise
2013-03-08, 11:19 AM
"That will be a bit complicated," the acolyte says. "The creature is after all completely immaterial in nature. Before the skin can be used it must be treated in ghost salts, and the rest of it will likely dissolve after a short while."

You take and skin the creature, having the acolyte treat its skin. You are startled, as beneath the shark's skin is not muscle, sinew, or bone but a strange miasma of white and pink vapors which slowly begin to flow out like a highly viscous liquid.

Frosty
2013-03-08, 11:38 AM
"Wow, they're really not like us at all, these creatures. The world has many wonders. Say, can we get more ghost salt in case we run into ghosts? WE can sprinkle it onto them and make them solid right?"

Maquise
2013-03-08, 11:47 AM
"You might speak to an alchemist about that; I've heard that you saved one from bandits who is quite knowledgeable of the undead. Regardless, in order to use the salts in such a manner, you would have to dissolve them in a medium that bore some connection to the ethereal plane; water simply removes its properties."

Frosty
2013-03-08, 03:35 PM
"Well will do that. thank you again for your assistance. Mira, take good care of the shark pelt. It's gonna be your sword, so you take care responsibility for the ingredients."

Karrin will go see Tamoq next with Mira, letting Lyanna go back to researching that xenophobic city.

Maquise
2013-03-08, 10:03 PM
You find the blind alchemist in a small nook of the healing house, creating a poultice. He seems to have grown quite adept at working by feel, though he does have an assistant to help.

"Eh, who's there?" he says. "Some people, bigger?"

Frosty
2013-03-09, 02:22 AM
"It's me, Tamoq. How've you been the past day? I'm glad you seem to have adjusted. Are the people here allowing you to do what you want?"

Maquise
2013-03-09, 04:02 AM
"Well, they've certainly kept me busy," he says. "I've been making potions 'n doing healing, all sorts of stuff. Haven't had as much time to do my work, but is okay."

Frosty
2013-03-09, 12:49 PM
"Well, you're helping a lot of people stay healthy, and people appreciate that. Once you've shown how much you are contributing, I'm sure they'll let you do some of your own work as well. Today, I'm going to help heal people as well, but right now I'm interested in Ghost Salt. Do you know what medium it needs otbe dissolved in so that we can use it to counter ghosts and spectres enemies? We haven't seen any yet, but it's best to be prepared."

Maquise
2013-03-09, 01:03 PM
"Ghost salts? Normally used by, sprinkling on blade then tempering in fire. If wanted to dissolve it though, need vitae-based solvent. Vitae harvesting difficult. Only found in blood of living things when they in great pain and fear. Easier to harvest from intelligent beings, best way torture."

Frosty
2013-03-09, 01:15 PM
"Eww, we can't have that. But on the other hand, we dont have time to tempe a blade if ghosts suddenly attack. Any other good way besides torture? Remember, torture is WRONG. It does the OPPOSITE what you want to do here."

Maquise
2013-03-09, 01:21 PM
"I've... read of many, many efforts to create artificial vitae. All failures. None succeeds. I... will work with what I have. Perhaps be able to distill vitae from bandages on wounded soldiers. Not much, but their pain is unavoidable, and their blood would be lost regardless."

Frosty
2013-03-09, 01:31 PM
"That I think is acceptable, but talk to Marcus first to get his permission. Thank you. Soon I might going off to for more missions. do you know of anything that can help you regrow your eyes? I could keep an eye out for things..."

(I'm gone for the next 7 hours or so)

Maquise
2013-03-09, 01:45 PM
"I don't know, really. Have not heard much..." You leave Tamoq to his work.

Frosty
2013-03-09, 08:46 PM
"If I find anything that could help, I'll let you know." Karrin spends the rest of the day helping heal the wounded. She basically waits for Lyanna to dig up more information on Cabathad, as her next goal is to to retrieve the holy sword.

Maquise
2013-03-10, 01:29 PM
You spend a couple of days with Marcus in the healing house. During this time, you and your companions attend a memorial for Davkas. On a lighter note, you do observe a slight but noticeable drop in the number of dead and wounded soldiers returning from the field of battle.

Eventually, Lyanna asks you to meet her in the archives. "I've discovered some important things about the city of Cabathad, and possibly the Sword of Retribution. After Meridous was buried, the sword was passed on to his successor, who held it for the rest of her life, until she died and passed it to her's. This continued for a time until the sword's wielder, one Sir Casimir, was slain by the red dragon Khanoptix. Khanoptix kept the sword amongst his treasure, and it was forgotten for many years.

Eventually, the Order of the Illuminators slew Khanoptix and recovered the sword. They brought it back to their chapterhouse in Cabathad where they kept it safe, only using it against the most dangerous of foes.

This is where things start to get weird. About fifty years prior to the first gates to the underrealms opening, Cabathad cut off all political ties to the Pryvirian Empire, declared their independence, and sealed out all outsiders. The Pryvirians were preparing to retake the city, when, well..." she waves her hands around, "all this happened."

Frosty
2013-03-10, 04:48 PM
(Does Karrin already know anything about the Pryvirians? If not, she asks Lyanna)

"What can you tell me about the Pryvirian Empire, and also about the Order of the Illuminators? The Order sounds like some sort of holy warrior group."

Maquise
2013-03-10, 04:56 PM
The Pryvirian Empire was founded by the Elùxor Dynasty 400 years ago at the end of the Time of Dragons. The Elùxors were, or perhaps are, recognized as the most powerful sorcerer lineage in all humankind. All Pryvirian nobles were humans with sorcerous heritage; the degree of which determining social rank. Not all noble families are directly related to the Elùxors; some were given titles as the reward for notable deeds on the behalf of the empire. Ruled from the capital of Dawnspire, it reached from Dragonsroost in the west to Stronghaven in the east.

"The Order of the Illuminators was indeed a religious order, serving the Three. They protected the innocent by hunting down dangerous and evil creatures, offered healing to the sick and blessings to the poor, and the preserved knowledge and gave education. As to what happened to them, their order was either disbanded or wiped out, as the fiends spread and hit their chapterhouses. We won't know the fate of the chapter in Cabathad until we get there, though."

(Going to work)

Frosty
2013-03-10, 05:11 PM
(Is it likely duke Dragonkin was part of the Pryvirian nobility?)

"I wish we knew why the Cabathadians decided to cut off contact, but I guess there's no way to find out except go to there. Shall we get everyone ready for a trip? I don't even know how long it'll take to get there..."

Maquise
2013-03-10, 09:02 PM
(It is likely)

"I was hoping you'd say that. I'm already packed." Lyanna smiles and begins putting her texts away.

Frosty
2013-03-11, 12:03 AM
"I knew you'd say that. If they won't let us in, I bet you'd be more than willing to put on the ring and go in searching for that artifact. This is really fun for you isn't it?" Karrin will go and help everyone else pack, and see if Marcus can spare any potions of healing.

Maquise
2013-03-11, 08:16 AM
"Do you have fun stomping fiends?" Lyanna asks rhetorically.

You return to Epistolary Marcus. "Indeed, I have a few potions I could supply you with for your journey." He goes to the storehouse, and returns a short time later holding two flasks. "These... aren't much, but they should supplement your existing healing abilities. I do wish we could do more for you, considering everything you have done and will do."

2 Potions of Lesser Restoration

Frosty
2013-03-11, 02:38 PM
"Thank you, Marcus. These will help, as I can afford to prepare other spells instead of the ones contained in these potions."

Karrin finishes up preparations and plans to leave the next day.

(has Ns'karra been silent over the past few days?)

Maquise
2013-03-11, 02:45 PM
You've felt the presence of the demon for the past few days, have heard whispers in the dark, lonely times of the night. But she has left you alone in your dreams, since the night at the Ugeltz temple.

Tonight, you find yourself there once again. You and N'skarra are alone in the preparation room, but you can hear the pounding music just past the stone door. She smiles knowingly at you. "Things are happening, out in the world. My masters are moving, and you head to Cabathad in search of an old relic. That is, when you aren't here. You quite enjoy it here, don't you?"

Frosty
2013-03-11, 08:53 PM
"I like it as much as I can enjoy being trapped inside a construct of a demon mind, I suppose. So why show up tonight again? You *do* want me to go find those relics and kick Harbinger's butt back to Hell right?"

Maquise
2013-03-11, 08:58 PM
"Why not? The way I see it, you should be grateful I've let you alone this long. Time, though, is not on our side. Things are happening, and soon the fate of this land will be decided. That means my master needs me to speed things up, which means I need to get you motivated.

Now as for your current plan, well, I'm not at liberty to discuss it. You just keep fighting your fight, and I'll be here to nudge you a little when you need it."

Frosty
2013-03-11, 09:45 PM
"How is finding weapons to fight evil NOT making progress fast enough for your lords? I can't exactly challenge Harbinger the way I am."

Maquise
2013-03-11, 09:53 PM
N'skarra waggles a finger in front of you. "Now, now, that would be telling. I can't just let you in on all of our secrets; after all, what would that accomplish?"

The floor beneath you cracks, and several hairy, carapaced appendages roughly resembling scorpion claws raise up out of the ground, oozing pus from their base. They grab you by the arms and legs, hoisting you into the air.

"I was planning on throwing you back into the temple tonight, but it seems you've forgotten your place. So it looks like tonight, I get to have some fun."

Frosty
2013-03-11, 10:35 PM
"Great, more imaginary nookie. Don't you get enough in your actual body?" As she speaks, Karrin knows enough to try to relax her entire imaginary body, knowing that what is to invade her will likely be huge, and she'll need her holes loose.

Maquise
2013-03-11, 10:42 PM
"Would you prefer pain? Violence, or mind games? Tonight, I think I'll try something new."

There is a rumbling beneath you, and a large appendage resembling a scorpion tail rises up between your legs. Its tip is flared, and covered in hooked, serrated spines. Each one drips a foul liquid that positively reeks of corrosion.

"Any final words before we begin?"

Frosty
2013-03-11, 10:48 PM
"Oh. Torture. THIS I can resist better than the temple. Y'know. Paladin training. No fear. No mind. No pain. The last part is hard, but I've been in a LOT of painful fights. Just keep in mind, it's in your best interests to keep my mind healthy so I can do my job."

Maquise
2013-03-11, 10:56 PM
"Maybe, but that isn't the point. Or is it?" She considers for a moment. "I think I may have misjudged you, so I'm giving you a choice. The stinger, or the temple."

Frosty
2013-03-11, 11:01 PM
Karrin considers what happened last time she got thrown into the temple., about how she almost lost herself in the sensations. "The stinger will do. Variety is the spice of life." Hard to lose onself in that, to be certain.

Maquise
2013-03-11, 11:08 PM
N'skarra nods. "The temple will wait then. I must admit, I've been looking forward to this."

The stinger lowers itself, resting its pointed tip on your lips. There is a hissing sound, and you feel a burning sensation at the point of contact.

It forces itself in, going as deep as you can physically take it. You feel the barbs dig into your walls, and the acidic venom oozes forth.

Frosty
2013-03-11, 11:20 PM
This is likely the most excruciating pain the paladin has ever felt...physically, that is. She grits her teeth and can barely keep herself from screaming as she feels as if acid were eating her from the inside!

Maquise
2013-03-11, 11:25 PM
The stinger starts to move, slowly at first, but consistently building in speed and range of motion. You can feel the barbs dig into your most sensitive flesh, and begin to tug on it. You fear that if it continues as it is going, it will drag you tunnel out with it, turning it inside out.

Frosty
2013-03-11, 11:28 PM
Karrin closes her eyes and reminds herself that this isn't real, that Ns'karra won't actually kill her because Ns'karra needs her, and that phusical pain is NOTHING compared to the emotional pain she has felt over the years. Pain like losing her parents. Pain like losing Liriam. Pain like losing Davkas. Pain like seeing Mira possessed by a demon. Potential pain like Mora dying to evil. If Karrin messes up, Mira can die. That potential pain is enough to steel her against any physical pain that can be inflicted here in this mental charade.

Maquise
2013-03-11, 11:34 PM
N'skarra frowns, her expression darkening. "You will feel me!" She hisses, anger evident in her voice.

With a loud slurping sound, the stinger forcibly retracts, causing your tunnel to evert. You can feel your womb and other attached organs getting pulled along with it. Your tunnel now dangles several inches out of your body, raw and bloody.

Frosty
2013-03-11, 11:40 PM
"DO...DO YOUR WORST! DESTROY ME, AND HARBINGER WINS!" Holy moly THIS HURTS! She has heard about childbirth to be painul, but this has to be 100 times worse! Every inch of her imaginary body feels like it is on fire, and she conentrates on trying to chant mantras of the Three Thrones. Pass out of not, she's do it with her faith and friends in mind.

Maquise
2013-03-11, 11:47 PM
N'skarra saunters over as the stinger withdraws back into the floor. With a flourish, she undoes her top, letting her/your breasts bounce into view. Kneeling, she takes your tunnel in her hand, and runs a long lick over it. It is both painful and pleasurable.

Frosty
2013-03-11, 11:55 PM
"I...THOUGHT...WE...AREN'T...DOING...MASTURBATION.. .TONIGHT!" Karrin does her best to ignore the pain. The stinger is gone, but the damage is done. This almost makes her wish she had chosent he temple instead.

Maquise
2013-03-12, 12:01 AM
She simply smiles, and begins to suck. As your heart rate increases you realize some of the acid must have entered your blood, as the burning sensation spreads throughout your body. You feel the familiar tension in your belly of a building climax, but because of how your organs are out of place, this only adds to your agony.

Frosty
2013-03-12, 12:07 AM
"ENJOY THIS WHILE YOU CAN! THE MOST YOU CAN DO IS MAKE ME PASS OUT...IN MY SLEEP!" Truth be told, Karrin is morbidly curious about her upper pain tolerance. She feels like she might reach it soon.

Maquise
2013-03-12, 12:16 AM
oh that is impossible. Not while you're here.

(Calling a night)

Frosty
2013-03-12, 12:54 AM
Karrin just tries her best to bear this in silence. She'll remember every single moment of this pain. In fact, she does her VERY best to crystaliize these feelings into her consciousness. Maybe Tamoq can then drain Vitae out of her later thanks to these memories.

Maquise
2013-03-12, 10:11 AM
Before you get any farther, you wake up. The tentacles are still out, but suddenly begin thrashing as though in pain. They quickly withdraw back into you. You feel a strange warmth come over you, similar to when you experience healing magic.

You are not alone, a voice, old as time but gentle as an embrace says.

Frosty
2013-03-12, 10:25 AM
The paladin smiles, and offers a short prayer in return. The Thrones can still help after all, as long as she helps herself. Still, this is a good opportunity to try harvesting vitae, and she hurries off to find Tamoq after dressing.

Maquise
2013-03-12, 10:33 AM
Tamoq is sleeping in a chamber off of the temple when you find him. He seems troubled in his sleep.

"Will help you however you need," he says once you wake him.

Frosty
2013-03-12, 10:40 AM
"Morning Tamoq! Try to extract Vitae out of me. Quick! while I still remember the pain! I've undergone imaginary torture in my head. Let's see if this works."

Maquise
2013-03-12, 10:50 AM
Tamoq quickly gets an assistant to help him. He draws a prodigious amount of blood from you with a syringe. You follow him to the laboratory, where he begins to subject it to various processes, mixing and distilling it, passing it through various apparatuses and tubes. Eventually a strange, luminescent green liquid is produced. Tamoq receives descriptions from his assistant.

"Strange. You've suffered no physical damage, yet the vitae is even more potent than I expected."

Frosty
2013-03-12, 10:59 AM
"Illusions of pain is still pain, is it not? It is still unethical, illusionary or not, but since I've suffered it, I see no reason to let it go to waste. Thank you for your assistance. I owe you one. Go ahead and mix in this ghost salt. The ghost-vitae-potions may be useful if we need to solidify ghosts. on our adventure"

Maquise
2013-03-12, 11:13 AM
"I will begin work immediately. Good night," he says, and you return to your chambers. It is not yet light, and you sleep without further interruptions.

In the morning, you awake to begin final preparations. You must determine who will come with you, and anything else to do before you depart.

Frosty
2013-03-12, 11:25 AM
Karrin asks which of her companions wish to come. "If you all want to come, that's fine by me too."

Maquise
2013-03-12, 11:33 AM
Mirabelle and Lyanna both look at you, carrying their gear already packed. Kensin is packed as well, and says, "Forgive me, but I am not watching over... him again." He shoots Skeever a look, and the kobold returns it.

Grembler says, "Be good to leave this city. Don't much care for it. Not bad place, but can do no magic here."

Skeever snorts. "What makes ya think it'll be diff'rent where we be going? Yer not gonna do much eitha way."

"I thought you be a thief," Grembler responds, "not a seer."

"I's be smart is what I's be. I think I will come, just ta see 'em shut ya up."

Frosty
2013-03-12, 12:23 PM
Karrin retrieves Trombe and they are on their way after letting the duke's men know where they are going. Karrin apologizes to Kensin about making him watch Skeever. "Tell me what happened while I was gone. What mischief was he up to?"

Maquise
2013-03-12, 12:36 PM
"Small things, mostly. Sneaking things from Grembler or myself, planting them on each other. It didn't take us too long to figure out what was going on. The worst thing, though, was when he tried to slip serech into my drink. It's not particularly harmful, but its effects are rather unpleasant."

Frosty
2013-03-12, 01:09 PM
Karrin frowns at Skeever. "And you undoubtedly notice that you're still alive and healthy. Kensin did the Good thing and refrained from needless violence. Tell me, why did you try to poison Kensin?"

Maquise
2013-03-12, 01:13 PM
"Oh sure. Ev'ry one thinks I did it. Nobody asked me what 'appened."

Kensin looks at him. "I found serach in my drink, and you possess a vial of it."

"And? Ya can't prove it were me."

Frosty
2013-03-12, 02:52 PM
Karrin signals for Kensin to hold on a second. "Alright then, Skeever. Tell me what happened. I'm willing to listen."

Maquise
2013-03-12, 06:24 PM
"I've got serach, is true. I find it useful, when ya want ta get a guard ta be somewhere else for a li'l while. I dunno who poisoned yer drink, but it weren't me."

You cannot read him.

Frosty
2013-03-12, 06:42 PM
"Well, that settles that then. We don't know who poisoned Kensin. However, since you're knowledgeable about poisons and such, I want to give you the responsibility to watching over us and making sure we don't get poisoned. If someone manages to get past you and poison us, we'll know you weren't...vigilante."

This why, if anybody gets poisoned again, the blame will fall squarely on Skeever one way or another. It is also a way for Skeever to prove his worth.

"Kensin, please apologize to Skeever and tell him that you'll listen before jumping to conclusions next time."

Maquise
2013-03-12, 06:59 PM
Skeever blinks, and seems to think it over. "Okay then... I guess."

"I ask your forgiveness then," Kensin says. "It was improper of me to accuse you so."

Frosty
2013-03-12, 07:15 PM
Karrin passes out one of the potions of lesser restoration she received from Marcus, to whomever needs it. It will be useful against a variety of debilitations during battle.

Then, off they go!

Maquise
2013-03-12, 07:23 PM
You ride out with more than a little fanfare; it seems your deeds are leaving an impression on people.

You ride through the Whiteveil territory, heading east through areas that were once patrolled by devils, now relatively safe. You ride for a few days, before on the evening of the twelfth day arriving at the ruins of the Crossroads Inn.

Frosty
2013-03-12, 08:00 PM
"See this place Ironman? A big battle was fought here. I took part in it too, and I could not prevent the deaths of many innocents. This used to be a refuge for many travelers, and one day I hope it will be again. For tonight, it will be our refuge."

Maquise
2013-03-12, 08:13 PM
Ironman looks over the fort. "These walls were strong, though they have been damaged," he says. "Whatever you did battle with here must have been strong indeed."

Kensin signals for you to wait. He examines the trail more closely. "Someone's been this way recently, on horse. Skeever, can you go investigate without being caught?"

The kobold nods. "I'll be back right quick-like." He departs, returning shortly after. "There be a human with a horse in there, camping by herself. She wears da armor of Angrove, too. I think I could cut her throat, not too hard if ya tell me to."

Frosty
2013-03-12, 09:52 PM
"An advanced scout? Or a deserter? Either way we should try to get some information out of her...suggestions?"

Maquise
2013-03-12, 09:57 PM
"A direct approach," Mirabelle says. "We confront her, tell her who we are and what is going on, and find out her intentions from there."

"Yes, and," Lyanna says, "we have a backup plan in case things don't go as expected. Which is likely if devils are involved, a distinct possibility when dealing with someone from Angrove."

"We can go in. Myself, Karrin, Lyanna, obviously Ironman, and Kensin will approach out in the open, but Grembler and Skeever can try to sneak in, in case she does have a surprise."

Frosty
2013-03-12, 10:39 PM
"Alright. Wich one of you two would benefit more from using the ring of shadows?" She lets Grembler and Skeever decide who should use it for this task.

Maquise
2013-03-12, 11:01 PM
"I think I be best with ring," Grembler says. "Skeever better sneak, no need for magic." Skeever agrees, and you note that it was likely because Grembler appealed to his ego.

You head into the fort's courtyard, the five of out front with the two stealthy companions in the shadows. You see a strong mottled grey charger tied near the entrance to the fort's main building. A figure emerges shortly after. A woman a few years older than you, she has coppery red hair that falls to her shoulders. Her armor, a slightly stripped down variant of plate, is none the less well-crafted, with wolf motifs embossed into it. She carries a longsword in one hand and a torch in the other, and has a steel heater shield strapped on her back. She regards you silently, shifting her sword into a defensive stance. Her eyes fix on you as she waits for you to make the first move.

Frosty
2013-03-12, 11:31 PM
Karrin decides on an approach so normal it loops back to being crazy and unexpected. With her weapons sheathed and leading Trombe by the reins, the paladin says, "Got room by your fire for a few more? The night can be mighty chilly...or lonely." in a weary but somewhat-cordial fashion.

(btw, did the ghost-potions get mixed? Or is Tamoq still working on them?)

Maquise
2013-03-12, 11:38 PM
(You were able to get two doses. Tamoq promised more on your return)

The woman gives a resigned chuckle. "That depends. I tend to prefer knowing who I'm sitting with."

"I guess that makes two of us," Mirabelle says.

The woman says, "Anita. My name's Anita."

Frosty
2013-03-12, 11:54 PM
"I'm Karrin. My traveling companions and I were looking to camp here for the night, and I see no reason to hog all the space to ourselves and drive you out."

Maquise
2013-03-13, 08:18 AM
Anita stays on the defensive. "I can't really claim this place for myself, either, not that it would do much good. But I'd rather know a bit more about the people I'm staying with."

Frosty
2013-03-13, 12:12 PM
"We're travelers temporarily domiciled in Whiteveil, on a personal expedition treasure hunting at the moment. You, Anita?"

Maquise
2013-03-13, 02:42 PM
"That's a rather convoluted matter," Anita says. "I am... in between jobs at the moment, and currently on my way to one of the eastern settlements to try and find a suitable engagement."

Frosty
2013-03-13, 02:46 PM
(Is Cabathad to the east?)

"Between jobs? I don't know much about the Angrovian army, but I can imagine they're not big on people leaving and doing their own thing. At least based on what I've learned talking to a few other Angrove soliders."

Maquise
2013-03-13, 02:57 PM
(Yes)

"Angrove... doesn't want me. I can't return, not yet at least. Well, to be frank I do not believe I shall ever return." You note that she speaks with a higher dialect, possibly belonging to the nobility.

Frosty
2013-03-13, 03:13 PM
"I'd love to hear your story, but you still haven't told me if we're welcome at your fire or not." She gives Anita a friendly smile.

Maquise
2013-03-13, 03:31 PM
She sighs. "I suppose it is better than waiting for something or someone to happen by, and they turn out to be less friendly. Still, how do I know you won't try anything if I fall asleep?"

Frosty
2013-03-13, 03:45 PM
"Do you want me to make a list? Very well." Karrin starts counting off with her fingers as she also tries to detect traces of evil from the woman.

"Firstly, you haven't attacked me first, and it's against my moral code to attack someone else without provocation. Secondly, anyone on-the-run from Angrove...or at least anyone in exile from Angrove...is almost certain not to be an enemy of mine. Thirdly, if I wanted to attack you, why'd I waste my time in waiting until you're asleep? Lastly, if I quote-try anything-unquote on you when you sleep, I am dead sure that my lover Mirabell would be *most* upset with me."

Karrin smiles as she says that last part and puts an arm around Mira's waist. "Right, Mira?"

Use Detect Evil on the area and Anita.

Maquise
2013-03-13, 03:53 PM
You find no traces of evil on either of them. Anita says, "Well, I guess that will have to do." She slowly sheathes her sword. "I suppose we can determine our relative courses on the morrow. Although, if it does not trouble you, may I ask where you are going?"

Mira replies, "We are on our way to Cabathad."

Anita says, "Cabathad? I've heard many unusual things about that city. I-" She stops, looking into the shadows that encircle her camp. Her hand flies back to the hilt of her sword. "There's something out there," she whispers.

Frosty
2013-03-13, 04:01 PM
"Yes. More of my allies I held in reserve in case you attacked us or were part of an ambush. One goblin, one kobold. Grembler, Skeever, come on out now, and don't startle Anita please."

Maquise
2013-03-13, 04:07 PM
The two emerge, moving slowly. Anita glances between them. "Do you trust them?" she asks.

"Well enough," Mirabelle says.

Anita relaxes her grip on her sword. "I think... it is still safer than trying to stay alone." She looks back at the fort's main structure. "I think this place is safe, and it will be more sheltered than staying out here."

Frosty
2013-03-13, 04:17 PM
"This place was once much safer. A big horde of demons attacked this place. Every single person who were regulars here are now dead. The last died just a few days back. I fought the demons, but could not defeat the horde."

Maquise
2013-03-13, 04:25 PM
"Somehow, that doesn't surprise me," she says. "It is nothing against you, but the fiends are too numerous, too powerful to hold off forever."

"They can be defeated," Mirabelle says. "We are going to best them, sooner or later."

Anita says, "I've seen the fiends close up, the great ones. It will take more strength than any mortal I've seen possesses."

Frosty
2013-03-13, 04:42 PM
"Well, I've got some...special help, and I've made some headway. But before I tell you more, can you tell me why you're not welcome in Angrove anymore? Wait wait...lemme guess first. Let's see...if I were a bard whipping up an epic...who would you be? Ooh ooh, you'd be the secretly legitimate princess heir to the Angroven throne, and you've been chased out by the devil leadership who want to solidify their rule! Ok sorry I'm done having fun now. Please, tell us your tale."

Maquise
2013-03-13, 04:58 PM
She just stares at you oddly for a few moments.

"Oh, you have got to be kidding me," Mirabelle says.

"What, you think it is trite? To have everyone you knew, including the entirety of your family, murdered in one night by men you had believed to be your closest friends? To escape with your life, only to spend the next three years scrounging in the mire of a degenerating city while thugs and reprobates use you as they wish, all the while watching as the place you call home becomes twisted into a literal hellhole?"

"Forgive me. I merely spent four years hunting the orcs who slaughtered my village," Mira bites back.

"And what of you?" Anita barks at Lyanna.

"If you must know, exiled from my home due to some superstition," Lyanna replies acidly.

Anita looks like she is about to retort, when Kensin says, "Before you ask, I was exiled due to crimes of my family."

By now, Anita looks deflated. "Well, this is clearly a sanguine troupe then, isn't it?" she says quietly.

Frosty
2013-03-13, 06:46 PM
Karrin speaks softly. "I'm sorry if I caused you pain. I often use humor to try to soften the pain of the world." She thinks to herself, "Holy crap. If you think about it, my experiences are in fact NOT the most traumatic in the world." she thinks to herself with surprise.

"We do alright because we have each other. We're good friends who support each other. And together, we've defeated much evil. Like that orc Mira mentioned, although he's back as an undead now but that's another issue, 2 evil dragons, one white, one green one who was also undead, a bone devil, and various other fiendish entities. Oh, and a few ancient war machines too like Ironman over there."

Maquise
2013-03-13, 07:15 PM
"Well, I guess then you'll have no problem with the rest of the world." She shakes her head. "I'm sorry. I should be getting some rest; it's been too long since I've had any."

Frosty
2013-03-13, 07:30 PM
"Sleep the night. We'll keep watch." Karrin instructs Ironman to keep a watch over Anita, and then goes off to speak with Mira privately. "A gold piece for your thoughts as I was predicting Anita's past, and also when she was staring at me after I finished?"

Maquise
2013-03-13, 07:36 PM
Mira shrugs. "Probably the same thing you were. Heck, it wouldn't have been the first time you've predicted the future. You are closer to the gods than most after all."

Frosty
2013-03-13, 08:06 PM
"Yeah, except this time I was totally kidding at first. I was thinking, 'Now, given the kinds of *crap* that the world has thrown at us, what would be the appropriate new twist in the story of Karrin and Mira, and also at the same time funny to readers if this were a story?' I mean, I was literally just thinking like a bard. What'd be the most entertaining thing to happen? *sigh* This is what our lives have become. Are we as predictable now as characters in a novel?"

Karrin looks up at the ceiling and shouts clearly but not very loudly, "Whomever you are, writer, you SUCK and you owe Mira and I a happy life!"

Karrin chuckles then looks back at Mira. "But seriously. What do you think of her? On the level? Big potential ally?"

Maquise
2013-03-13, 08:19 PM
"Don't say that," Mira whines, "you'll only tempt fate." Regardless, you develop a sense of foreboding.

"As for Anita? She seems on the level. I can't wait to see her in a fight, though. Oh what am I saying, knowing our luck it won't be that long."

Frosty
2013-03-13, 10:27 PM
"Having been nobility there, the woman must have valuable intel on what's going on inside Angrove, even if she's been out of power for 3 years. I think she'll want to help us out, since it could mean helping herself retake her throne. And yeah, I've got a baaaaad feeling already. I want us on alert tonight. At least 2 guards every shift in addition to Ironman."

Maquise
2013-03-13, 10:36 PM
Mirabelle nods. "Once we head east of here, we'll be in new territory. Probably demon-infested, since we're past Angrove's area of control. What are the odds no-one will stop by tonight?" she asks rhetorically.

You take the first watch, along with Mirabelle. When it is time for Lyanna and Kensin to relieve you, you remove your armor and fall asleep immediately. As soon as sleep comes, though, you are overwhelmed and disoriented by sudden sensation. After a few seconds, you realize you are once again in the Ugeltz temple, with the ritual underway. Blindfolded, you hear the moans of slave girls over the pounding music, and feel the men pressing into you from every possible angle.

Frosty
2013-03-13, 11:17 PM
"I kinda hope that the demons and devils kill each other off, but so far we haven't seen them fight directly on a large scale. Well, let's gets some rest after our watch..."

At the temple...

"WHOA! What happened to the stinger tail?" thinks Karrin as she tries to push the men aside. Maybe try to make it a relatively quiet corner.

Maquise
2013-03-13, 11:34 PM
You struggle briefly; you are very outnumbered. Still, thanks to the oil you are covered in, you manage to slip away.

You don't get very far. Before you can even get your blindfold off, the crystals in your piercings begin to vibrate, emitting an even pitched hum and sending shocks of pleasure into your sensitive bits. You fall to your knees, gasping and unable to move, and are dragged back to the altar.

Frosty
2013-03-13, 11:38 PM
Determined to not submit tonight, Karrin tries another tactic. She clamps down her legs and refuses to present her holes to be used, and refuses to open her mouth. If someone shoves a body part down her throat, she'll bite.

Maquise
2013-03-13, 11:43 PM
The bands on your wrists and ankles are suddenly pulled with tremendous force to the four corners of the altar. Something large, round, smooth and vibrating is pressed to the lips of your nethers. You arch your back from a sudden climax.

Frosty
2013-03-14, 12:17 AM
Karrin struggles, with spread eagled like this, there's not much she can do. If there's nothing she can bite, she just tries her best to void her mind like last time. However, pleasure is harder to ignore than pain!

Maquise
2013-03-14, 12:28 AM
The longer you resist, the farther into both the vibrating object is pushed.

Frosty
2013-03-14, 12:37 AM
Karrin dares Ns'karra to push them in further. The more extreme this gets, the more like torture it becomes. "That's right! I'm experiencing this on MY terms! You're not even offering my choices anymore. YOU CAN'T MAKE ME A WILLING PARTICIPANT IN MY DEGENERATION!"

Maquise
2013-03-14, 09:05 AM
The object pulls back, slowing in its usage. It circles around your entrance while the piercing on your nub continues to vibrate. Something taps against one of your nipple piercings, causing its vibration to change as well, shooting extra bolts of pleasure over your spine.

Whoever is in command here continues, playing your body's senses like a harp. You shudder as you are brought to the very brink of a climax, but held there. You struggle as the release you so desperately crave is held just inches out of your reach. The effect seems to be far more unbearable than the stinger ever was, and you feel your resistance crumbling.

Frosty
2013-03-14, 09:44 AM
Desperate, Karrin starts biting her own lips and even her own tongue. Anything to use pain to bring her mind back down to Earth. It's not like she can die in here, so even getting her tongue severed won't matter.

Maquise
2013-03-14, 09:49 AM
A pair of meaty hands grab your jaw and force your mouth open. A wooden rod is shoved in, stopping just above your throat, and held in place. Tremors start to wrack your limbs.

Frosty
2013-03-14, 10:08 AM
Karrin tries to stop breathing. If anything that discomfort and concentrated effort might distract her for a bit more. If that doesn't work she'll need to try to break some of her teeth against the wooden rod.

Maquise
2013-03-14, 10:14 AM
Constitution (DC 15): [roll0]

You are unable to hold your breath; your entire body rebels against your commands, writhing in the grasp of pleasure but unfulfilled. The rod is too wide for your jaw to apply enough pressure; all you can do is bite down on it, which has a negligible effect.

Frosty
2013-03-14, 10:29 AM
Exhxausted, remembers how much better that night with Mira was when she infused holy energy into the mix. She wonders if she can access her holy powers (or an imaginary representation of such) in this demonic reality construct. Karrin attempts to release a burst of white energy. This would likely heighten the pleasure of everyone (including herself), pushing people over the edge.

Maquise
2013-03-14, 10:35 AM
You succeed in emitting a burst of white energy. This forces you into a climax.

You spend an undetermined amount of time in the climax; it seems to last for an eternity. It is by far the most powerful in your memory. When you are done, your throat is hoarse from screaming, your body sore and your ankles and wrists chafed from where they thrashed against your bindings, and you are covered in liquid, most of it not your own.

The vibrations return, and you are slowly returned to your previous state.

Frosty
2013-03-14, 10:52 AM
With an orgasm that powerful, Karrin isn't sure she can take more than one of those at a time. She tries to think of the most disgusting creatures she has fought, using mental imagery to try to counteract the physical sensations. If that doesn't work, she thinks of mom. That usually worked to cool things down.

Maquise
2013-03-14, 11:43 AM
You succeed in distracting your mind, but it doesn't get you very far, and you can't be sure how long you can keep this up.

Will Save (DC 20): [roll]d20+12[roll]

Maquise
2013-03-14, 11:44 AM
(Let me try that again)
Will Save: [roll0]

You ride out the attention, forcing your body to cool down. All you've done is buy yourself some time, though; you know that sooner or later you will break.

Frosty
2013-03-14, 12:55 PM
"What do you WANT, Ns'karra? Tell me and get it over with. I've got a relic to find and devils to kill."

Maquise
2013-03-14, 12:59 PM
I want you to stop fighting. I want you to enjoy yourself, and just forget what is going on in the world. Is this really such a bad thing? Remember what you asked me for; I've given it all to you.

Frosty
2013-03-14, 01:29 PM
"Too many people count on me for me to go ahead and forget about the world except for occasional small vacations. I've already participated in your orgies. And remember what YOU want? Harbinger dead? Your lords would be very upset with you if you put your own personal VANITY...your obsession with my submission, before the destruction of your hated enemy the devils!"

Maquise
2013-03-14, 01:50 PM
You don't know what I want. You give yourself more credit than you are worth; we don't need you to destroy Harbinger, it would simply make things easier for us. I'm shielding you from the brunt of my master's wrath. It was I that convinced him to spare you rather than seek your destruction.

Frosty
2013-03-14, 01:58 PM
"Then EDUCATE me. A cultural exchange program would be more meaningful and productive than THIS."

Maquise
2013-03-14, 03:25 PM
"Meaningful. You like that word, don't you? You like to think that there is purpose in the world. Well, as you so desire education, let me teach you."

You feel a smooth, long-nailed hand glide over your chest, resting on your sternum. A second hand, a match to the first, grabs your face and turns it up. Through the blindfold you can see a pair of burning green points, gazing balefully down at you.

"What do I want? Freedom. Free to do as I will, as I please. When we have torn the Harbinger and his lackeys to pieces, and scattered their ashes across the landscape, when we have shed enough blood to fill the oceans, and have brought ruin to all those who claim to seek higher power, we will know our freedom. Why? Because it is all mindless. There is no purpose, no greater meaning. The universe is mindless! We kill, we corrupt, I ravage you for no purpose, then that we may revel in our blessed existence! Now, scream!"

She pushes down on your chest, and you feel her hand slide effortlessly into your chest. Reaching in, she cups your heart in her hand, and sends a fell energy into it. You can feel something like liquid ecstasy flow throughout your body, and immediately burst into another climax.

Frosty
2013-03-14, 04:48 PM
Scream she does. Scream loudly and lewdly too. But, at the same time, she gains a bit of understanding. After she has screamed her throat hoarse from the climax, she laughs and says, "He....heheh...so THAT'S why you do what you do...you're trying to fill the void in your pathetic existence with MORE meaningless-ness in order to mask the void! You're searching for meaning too. You just go about it the wrong way and you won't admit it! AHAHAHAHAH!"

Maquise
2013-03-14, 04:59 PM
"Laugh all you want. And when you've lost everything you've tried to keep, when your companions are all dead or deserted you, and you look for some faint ember of hope and find none, you will remember me. And you will come crawling back to me on your hands and knees, begging for me to take you as I have here. And I will, and you will be mine forever."

You awaken. Finding and donning your scattered undergarments, you head for a nearby window. The sun is rising.

Frosty
2013-03-14, 05:11 PM
Troubled but amused, Karrin dressed with haste and enjoys the morning sunrise while meditating. She knows what to say next time to piss off the demon even more.

Maquise
2013-03-14, 05:20 PM
You complete your meditations and eat the morning meal. Your companions, having awakened as well, prepare for the rest of the journey.

Anita approaches you. "I don't know what I'll do once we get to Cabathad yet, but I am willing to accompany you on the journey if you'll have me."

Frosty
2013-03-14, 05:30 PM
"Good morning Anita. I apologize again if you felt I made fun of you on purpose yesterday. Now, I don't see why we can't travel together. We have much to discuss about Angrove, about how we might help each other. As for Cabathad, I hear those people hate all outsiders."

Maquise
2013-03-14, 05:59 PM
"I'll gladly share anything I know about Angrove, if it means getting the city back. As for Cabathad, I heard that it was quite sudden, the change. For a long time it had been a thriving city, trading with many others, such as Goldharbor, Stronghaven and Whiteveil. Then suddenly, its nobility stopped leaving the city, sending emissaries in their place. They grew increasingly hostile too, shunning their former allies, in the space of a single generation."

Frosty
2013-03-14, 06:35 PM
"*Sigh* With our luck, the people of Cabathad have been possessed by demons or something. Well, to start us, can you give us a general description of what Angrove is like over the past few years? I hear that soldiers are magically cursed to follow orders, and lives are as cheap as ale."

Maquise
2013-03-14, 06:59 PM
Anita says, "The city is tightly controlled by the High Lords, who in turn enforce the rules of the Temple of the Obsidian Throne, the diabolic cult. City-wide conscription is practiced; those of gifted intellect are recruited by the temple to become diabolists, while anyone in the city not possessing of any craft is sent into soldiering. While the law is powerful, people do try to go about their lives as well as they can, I guess."

Frosty
2013-03-14, 07:09 PM
"But how much do the people suffer? It sounds like the devils care not for the lives of their subjects at all."

Maquise
2013-03-14, 07:14 PM
Anita says, "It has been a few years; I don't know how much tighter the devil's control has gotten. When I was there at least, they ignored you for the most part as long as you obeyed their laws. These included tight behavioral rules, such as who you could marry, when you could be out and where you could go, as well as attending the temple on a regular basis."

Frosty
2013-03-14, 07:18 PM
"How long as it been since you were there? You didn't recently escape?"

Maquise
2013-03-14, 07:26 PM
Anita says, "Not in the city proper. After the coup, I was taken in by a guild of thieves working in the city's lower parts. It was a hard existence, compared to what I'd lived before, but I managed, by either talking or fighting my way out of most situations. Eventually, I came across a group of knights who were still loyal to my family. They protected me and trained me until we were found out. I escaped, but was forced into hiding in the settlements on the frontiers of our territory. That's pretty much where you found me."

Frosty
2013-03-14, 08:01 PM
"You have knights that are sympathetic to you. That is good news indeed. I have fought against Angrove's soldiers, and I do not wish to slaughter them even if Whiteveil's force can win that way. Our goal should run something along the lines of a mass revolt from the citizenry and the armed forces of Angrove while an outside army attack. My aim is not to conquer, but to free Angrove from the devils."

Maquise
2013-03-14, 08:41 PM
"I had loyal knights. We were discovered, and I think I'm the only one left. If you want to free the people, you need to destroy the temple. That's where the oath blood is taken. In order to do that, you're going to have to kill the Harbinger."

Frosty
2013-03-14, 09:43 PM
"Damnations! Well, I suppose those bloodoaths won't reverse themselves, but I have no idea how I could stop something like a Pit Fiend. I mean, even against that Bone Devil, I had *help* to defeat it. A paladin I may be, but my flesh is weak compared to that of a Pit Fiend's. What if we just...blew up the temple with explosives somehow, if we can sneak them in? Would that help at all?"

Maquise
2013-03-14, 10:01 PM
"I'm not sure. The place is twice as secure as the city castle, and is magically enhanced too. Not to mention you'd probably have to blow up the Altars themselves. Hmm. Maybe you could find a powerful demon to fight him?"

Frosty
2013-03-15, 01:15 AM
Karrin winces, but admits that is a fun idea. "the problem is, how do we set such a fight up so that the collateral damage to your people are minimized? A Balor and a Pit Fiend won't just agree to duke it out in a steel cage."

Maquise
2013-03-15, 09:43 AM
"It will be a difficult task," Anita admits, "but truthfully I cannot conceive of any other way to accomplish the task. What is your current goal, then? What is it in Cabathad that you seek?"

Frosty
2013-03-15, 09:59 AM
"A weapon. I imagine it'll be very powerful against fiends. A famous paladin wielded it."

Maquise
2013-03-15, 10:06 AM
Anita nods. "That would be most useful. In my experience, only the weakest of fiends can even be injured by normal weapons." She waits for a moment. "Might I ask you a personal question? Last night, it sounded as though you had a most disturbed sleep..."

Frosty
2013-03-15, 10:43 AM
Karrin looks away, looking a bit sad. "I...I'm sorry, but I don't like to talk about it much. I've got some inner demons to battle, and it's very personal. Maybe I will share that in the future."

Well, technically, *an* inner demon, but what she says is true...literally!

"Anyhow, our plan is to try to make peaceful contact with the locals, a nd search for the sword."

Maquise
2013-03-15, 10:58 AM
Anita stands up, and goes to prepare her horse. "In that case, we had best be going. No need to put off our journey any longer."

You depart, taking the eastern road. You come across signs of struggle, evidence that large battles have taken place. The scorch-marks and lack of any bodies suggests to you that these were most likely fought between fiends.

It is about three days from Cabathad that you see the first living fiends. The lands are more forested, with deciduous trees gathered sparsely about as opposed to the rolling planes of Whiteveil's lands.

You see a group of demons, about a dozen or so. They are led by a large demon whose breed you are completely unfamiliar with. It stands about eight feet tall, hunched over like an ape. It has a skeletal, reptilian snout that seamlessly merges with a set of bony spines going down its back. At this distance, you think you see an eerie glow emanating from the seams of the spines.

A pair of incubi bring a wounded erinyes in front of this leader, her wings damaged. It is apparent she is the last survivor of a group of devils these demons had just defeated. The large one looks at her, and with a snap bites her head clean off and swallows it. The rest of the body is consumed by flame and leaves no trace.

The demon looks up, and makes eye contact with you. It roars, and the rest of the horde moves to fight.

(You have one round to prepare before I roll initiative; neither sides have surprise. Map is here (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AoH1w8LcWuFgdGk4SXVRMVFLQmEwOHFJcVZqTG5oZ mc&usp=sharing); you can deploy your companions anywhere below 20 on the grid. )