PDA

View Full Version : Bhaakon's Brinewall Legacy IC

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7

stack
2013-10-27, 09:09 AM
Lethos completes his spell, the cone of color engulfing the corbies before they can act.color spray (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/c/color-spray), should hit all four (score!)
Will Dc 14 or pretty much screwed

North_Ranger
2013-10-27, 11:31 AM
Just as Eirik was about to start a case on why the killing of the corbies proved an exemption from paying weregild (namely, that they had attacked first and were therefore themselves to blame for being dead), Lethos ended the conversation with a blinding cone of riotous colours that engulfed the corbies.

"Stand down!" the young Ulfen yelled over the screeching of the birdmen as he took aim at the little red man. "Stand down, you and your actors, or I shall perform your death dirge!" he commanded, staring the surprised man down as he kept a bead on him. He did not begin to sing - yet - hoping that the little man would realize how pointless it was to fight when all it would take was a single arrow to end his burgeoning career.

Readied action: fire upon the red man at the first sign of hostile intent or attempting to escape.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Bad Situation
2013-10-27, 01:31 PM
An old Tienese curse spat in bone-chilling Tien is the only warning the long-nosed man gets before Kasuka sets upon him, flashing his wakizashi as he sweeps in toward the 'director' as though dancing before driving Whispering Shrike home like a dagger in the dark. "Your concern should be with me, you foul thing."

Attack #1: [roll0]
-- Damage: [roll1]
-- Sneak Attack: [roll2]
Attack (Ki) #2: [roll3]
-- Damage: [roll4]
-- Sneak Attack: [roll5]

ProudGrognard
2013-10-27, 03:16 PM
Caleban

Still loathe to attack someone that has not directly attacked him, Caleban aims for the nearest corbie. At least, they had attacked for sure.

PA [roll0] dmg [roll1]

Bhaakon
2013-10-27, 03:51 PM
Two corbies drop, seizing and foaming at the beak, as Lethos's fan of scintillating colors spreads. The red man--though not inside the kaleidoscopic effect--is momentary transfixed by the sight, reaching to out to grab the lights like a confused animal or small child.

Its brief distraction is shattered as Kasuka hisses his curse and slides whispering shrike into the man's kidney. He stumbles sideways, inadvertently avoiding the ninja's follow-up strike.

But by the time he regains his feet, it's no longer a man standing on the edge of the dais. It's wearing the skin of a tengu--slightly smaller and more delicate than a corby--though the enormous black wings sprouting from its back prove that it's no true member of that race.

"That's not in the script! You've ruined it! You've ruined my masterpiece, you meddlesome apes!" It shrieks as Caleban buries his axe in one of the 'players' still standing. It squawks the attack order in the corby's language as Shalelu plants an arrow in its wing, followed by one of Eirik's.

Finally given the order to attack, the conscious corbies engage Caleban and Lethos in their typically suicidal style

@Lethos
5 damage

@Caleban
2 damage

Map
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee498/Bhaakon/Hallbattle3.jpg

purple = unconscious

stack
2013-10-27, 07:28 PM
Lethos, taken aback by the blow from the creature he expected stunned, spins away and begins to weave the now familiar pattern of spell and blade.concentration [roll0]
att [roll1] +1 bard song
damage [roll2] +1 bard song

att [roll3] +1 bard song
damage [roll4] +1 bard song

Lethos Far-wanderer (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=528595)
M N Elf magus (black blade), Level 2, Init +6, HP 12/17, Speed 30
AC 21, Touch 14, Flat-footed 17, Fort +4, Ref +4, Will +3, Base Attack Bonus 1
Black Blade (not yet awakened) Elven dueling saber (rapier w/ Slashing) +5 (1d6+1, 18-20x2)
studded leather, shield spell (+3 Armor, +4 Shield, +4 Dex)
Abilities Str 13, Dex 18, Con 12, Int 16, Wis 10, Cha 8
Condition None

ProudGrognard
2013-10-28, 07:46 AM
Caleban

Caleban pivots, ducks and then steps near the corby again, his axe swinging all the while.

PA [roll0] dmg [roll1]

North_Ranger
2013-10-28, 09:03 AM
"I take that as a no", Eirik speaks grimly to the wide-winged tengu's mad screeching, and begins a song of his own. Let the crow-man die with a true masterpiece still ringing in his ears, he thinks as the halls echo with his bardic magic. This time he calls upon a Tien dirge of pride and fall, one he had found in Ameiko's song books, one about a monk who prided himself of his knowledge, so much so that he challenged the gods for true knowledge. In revenge, he was turned into a wererat who gnawed his precious books and scrolls into dust.

Activate bardic song, inspire courage: +1 to attack and damage rolls again, folks. Round 6/15.

Move behind Lethos, in case he needs a CLW next round.

Bhaakon
2013-10-29, 09:31 PM
Lethos is pressed hard by his opponent, parrying filthy talons desperately as he casts. It's all he can do to deliver a shallow slice to one of the beast's arms, and even that costs him a stinging riposte.

@Lethos
2 damage

Caleban's only issue is freeing his axe from the corpse of his opponent. He buries the heavy blade deep enough to lodge in the creature's spine, while Shalelu drives one of her arrows through the thing's beady eye. Eventually, the half-orc tears it free by planting a foot on the dead corby's chest.

Kasuka never loses contact with his prey, springing forward to close the gap as the Director, now in bird-like form, keeps retreating. The Director seems more angry than scared, even as whispering shrike slices deep into his quad. The earlier blow to the kidney--a mortal wound for most--has already stopped bleeding, and he hardly seems pain.

The strange creature flaps its wings, pushing itself further back. "Nothing but a brief setback! The protagonist must face down adversity in any good drama. But you'll see! I'll marshal my forces for the second act! The hero will prevail!"

The air splits behind him as he retreats, pulling apart like curtains to reveal a blurred vision of another space. Then he's through, and the curtains slam shut before Kasuka can follow.

Spellcraft DC 19
Dimension Door

Map
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee498/Bhaakon/Hallbattle4.jpg

Bad Situation
2013-10-30, 12:11 AM
Kasuka clicks his tongue in annoyance when the tengu disappears from his sight and frustratedly flicks away the blood staining his blade before spinning around to consider the other threats his allies were currently combating. On soft, unheard footfalls he leaps over the unconscious corby and dances toward the remaining foe as though spinning a dangerous veil of steel over his form before slicing at the bird man's exposed flank.

Shift over to O10.

stack
2013-10-30, 07:20 AM
Lethos gives a grim smile as he sees Kasuka slide into position. His blows become more staccato, the tempo of his movements increasing.conc [roll0]
att [roll1] (inc flank & bardsong)
[roll2]

att [roll3]
[roll4]

ProudGrognard
2013-10-30, 10:07 AM
Caleban

Caleban looks around to see which corbies are still alive. He goes to throw hia axe at them once more.

PA [roll0] dmg [roll1]

If there are non alive by then, CdG those caught in the spell earlier.

North_Ranger
2013-10-30, 10:13 AM
Spellcraft [roll0]

"Oh-ho, such a hero!" Eirik called out mockingly. "I thought the tengu were related to crows and not chickens!" he continued as he let his song fade, seeing how the last remaining enemy was being swiftly dispatched by his allies. Avoiding the ruckus he moved to the unconscious corbies, and gave them Pharasma's eternal sleep along with a quick prayer.

End bardic song, go help Cal CdG the unconscious corbies.

stack
2013-10-30, 10:25 AM
"His spell could have only taken him so far, less than a 1000 feet. Either he has fled the building or gone into hiding in another chamber prepared for such."

Bhaakon
2013-10-30, 04:06 PM
The last conscious corby is no match for you. It goes down in a hail of swings as Kasuka and Caleban move in to surround it. Dispatching the last two, still convulsing on the floor, is a simple (if distasteful) matter of slitting exposed throats.

To take another look around the hall as the corbies gurgle their last breaths. The audience hall has a half dozen exits, not counting the doors you came in through. To the left of the throne (your left) is an iron door that looks stout enough to hold back an ogre--a quick test of the latch shows that it's locked. To the right is a staircase up to the second level of the keep. The rest of the doors are unremarkable.

DC 20 Perception
There's a secret door set into the wall a few paces to the left of door B (see map).

XP
400 each

Map
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee498/Bhaakon/Keephalldoors.jpg

Door B is a solid sheet of iron, and locked. The rust on the hinges makes it look like it hasn't been opened in years.

ProudGrognard
2013-10-31, 03:13 AM
Caleban

Caleban leans on his axe, wiping it. He sweaps his brow of the exertions.

Perception [roll0]

"That was that, then. Now what? I say we go through the castle one door at a time. Starting with that hidden door over there. I am always curious with what people hide in these things"

stack
2013-10-31, 08:26 AM
"Perhaps a moment to heal before proceeding, but I agree that the hidden door seems the most promising."down 7 HP

healing until he's gotten 5 HP or better back
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
I ALWAYS roll a 7 when I don't need it! 2 charges used.

North_Ranger
2013-11-01, 01:06 PM
"Agreed. And since some people - Lethos - keep mistaking bards for thieves, I might as well go and see if I can't find any traps on it", Eirik nodded to Cal, and then sighed melodramatically before going to check the secret door his brother in faith had shown.

Perception [roll0]
And Kn. (Engineering), if that's of any use [roll1]

Bhaakon
2013-11-01, 04:36 PM
Eirik gives the hidden door a thorough examination, but it appears that the portal's only defense is its camouflage. He reaches for the wrought iron torch sconce that seems to be its operating mechanism and gives it a twist.

As the door grinds open under the power of hidden counterweights, an acrid stench drifts out. Rotting flesh, sewage, and some other ineffable quality that makes the atmosphere in this room noticeably more noisome than the pervasive stench of the corbies.

You peer in to find the wreckage of a guard barrack. The frames of the bunks have been torn apart and scattered, but the thin mattresses and bedding have been heaped into damp, moldy mass that can only be descried as a nest. Atop the pile lounge two reptilian creatures with arms and legs like men, their hissing snores nearly drown out guttural tones of an argument drifting in the from the next room.

@Lethos
The voices in the next room speak in a debased form of draconic. There are two of them, and you gather that they're fighting over food.

Knowledge (local) DC 11
These creature are troglodytes, savage reptilian humanoids common in the darklands, but known to raid on the surface as well. They fight with tooth, claw, and club, and are known for their great fortitude.

stack
2013-11-02, 03:22 PM
Lethos takes position near the door to the next room, trying to hear any useful information in the exchange. He points to the sleepers and draws a thumb across his throat.he wants someone with better damage to CDG them

North_Ranger
2013-11-02, 03:38 PM
Without a moment's hesitation, Eirik points at Kasuka, volunteering the pale young man for the task. His personal per diem for killing helpless creatures had been filled.

Local [roll0]

Bad Situation
2013-11-02, 04:31 PM
Kasuka stares back to the Ulfen man and then down to the whispering shrike before shrugging and nodding back to Lethos. He was a shinobi first and foremost. It was his duty to dirty his hands on the likes of their enemies. Quietly, the fetchling ninja creeps into the room, striding in casually and as softly as he can manage until he is upon the first lizard creature. And then with his delicate hands he clamps the lizardman's snoring maw shut and efficiently draws his blade across its exposed throat, not letting go of the mouth until it the body finally goes limp.

Stealth: [roll0]
Coup de Grace: [roll1]
Sneak Attack: [roll2]

Bhaakon
2013-11-02, 04:37 PM
The first of the creatures passes with a quiet gurgle, unable to wake its fellow sleeper or summon help from the next room. The second one goes down just as quickly and quietly.

At the door to the next room, Lethos catches a few more snatches of conversation. The things are most definitely arguing over their dinner--some kind of large insect, he thinks--but are cagey enough to keep their voices down. No need to wake the sleepers and have to split their meal four ways.

XP
200 each

Bad Situation
2013-11-02, 04:49 PM
With a soft sigh, Kasuka bends down and wipes his blade free of blood on the thin, raggedy 'mattresses' the reptilian men were bedding on before he slit their throats. He glances toward the others and gestures them in when he thinks it's safe but warns them to stay quiet. If the others choose to enter the room, Kasuka will whisper, "The lack of snoring will become conspicuous to the things in the other room. Prepare for a fight."

ProudGrognard
2013-11-03, 04:03 AM
Caleban

Caleban was about to move forward to the quiet the sleeping kobolds for good when Kasuka moves, as silent as the wind. He was far better at it. At his comment about the lack of snoring, he nods and brings his axe in a fighting position.

He motions with his hands.

Let 's move on them.

stack
2013-11-03, 09:05 AM
The scent of ozone fills the room as sparks dance down the elf's blade. When everyone is ready, he opens the door.shocking grasp, holding the charge

Bhaakon
2013-11-03, 01:42 PM
The door slams against the wall as Lethos kicks it open and charges in. The two troglodytes stand on either side of a scarred timber dinning table, between them sits a dog-sized tick bloated with blood from its last meal. The clatter of the door jars them from their argument, but Lethos is on them before they can even turn to look.

Map
Surprise round!

Kasuka, Calean: take your surprise round action (standard or move)
Eirik and Lethos: take your first round actions in addition to the surprise round.

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee498/Bhaakon/trogsrd1.jpg

North_Ranger
2013-11-03, 02:11 PM
As his companions charge into the fray, Eirik raises his voice in song again. This tim he chooses a jaunty, jumping tune, its erratic tempo guiding the blows of his friends while disorienting the troglodytes' attempts to block and parry. Watching how the battle progresses, he takes aim and fires once more.

Initiative [roll0]

Surprise round: initiate bardic song, inspire courage round 7/15. Enjoy your +1 damage and attack again, folks!

1st round: maintain bardic song, round 8/15.
Move to L7 (or closest available space with Line of sight and not blocking the doorway from allies), fire at the troglodyte who is not in melee. If not available, substract 4 from attack roll as appropriate.

Attack: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]

ProudGrognard
2013-11-03, 02:56 PM
Caleban

With the door open, Caleban charges into the room, moving towards the rear troglodyte.

Move as surprise action. I think he gets to k7, yes?

Bad Situation
2013-11-03, 03:02 PM
Kasuka is the first to move, dashing ahead so quickly that he almost seems to disappear from Eirik's side as he slides past Lethos, sweeping toward the troglodytes in a disorienting dance of steel to cut off one of their number from any hope of escape. He spares only a moment to shoot the elf a brief glance and hopes the experienced swordsman knows well enough to take advantage of the distraction.

As stipulated in the OOC, Kasuka shifts over to J5.

stack
2013-11-03, 08:30 PM
Lethos gives the faintest nod to Kasuka, charging in, sparks leaping from his blade as he moves and strikes, using his follow through to spin into another series of blows, black blade dancing in the shadows of the dim room.Surprise round: I think he can use a standard action charge (L6-K7), attacking and channeling the held spell (if not then just moving to K7)
attack [roll0] (4 dex, 2 charge, 1 BAB, 1 bard song, 2 flanking)
damage [roll1]
shocking grasp [roll2] electric

full round: if the previous attack misses or can't happen, then just a regular attack to deliver the held charge
attack [roll3] (4 dex, 1 BAB, 1 bard song, 2 flanking)
damage [roll4]
shocking grasp [roll5]

If the charge hits and the spell discharges, then spell combat with arcane mark
concentration [roll6]
attack [roll7] (4 dex, 1 BAB, 1 bard song, 2 flanking, -2 spell combat)
damage [roll8]

attack [roll9]
damage [roll10]

Bhaakon
2013-11-03, 09:04 PM
At you enter the room, the stench of the arguing troglodytes hits you like a sack of rotting fish guts. Even breathing through your mouth does nothing to blunt the rank odor.

@everyone
Almost for got the stench aura!

DC 13 fort save or sickened for 10 rounds

Lethos slips as he enters the room, ruining his attack. He looks down to see a small puddle of blood under his feet, fed by the trickle from the wounds of the overstuffed tick. He sidesteps out of the way as the others pile in, surreptitiously sliding his feet to the clean the ichor off his boots as he fends off the claws of the nearest troglodyte.

Eirik sees the elf's misfortune and dances around the mess in time to his song. Keeping the rhythm, he lifts his bow, draws, and fires, planting and arrow in the farther enemy. It jumps back for the door in the opposite wall, which is throws open with a shriek for someone (thing?) named "nugnug."

Map
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee498/Bhaakon/trogsrd2.jpg

Bad Situation
2013-11-03, 09:17 PM
Kasuka clicks his tongue at the unfortunate miss but shakes off his disappointment as quickly as it comes, quickly repositioning himself for another pass at the troglodyte. Letting the other creature off to its own devices was not at all ideal. They needed to settle this quickly and with any luck it would be by his own hand. "Leave this one to me. Everybody, regroup to combat the remaining reptile man and whoever its calling in for aid." Exhaling his breath sharply he begins slicing into the troglodyte's vital organs and ponders their presence, "What singularly foul creatures. Why are these things here in this castle? I had thought the keep was populated almost entirely by the delirious bird-men."

Five foot step to I5.
-- Damage: [roll1](1d6+6)[8]

EDIT: Forgot to factor in Eirik's Inspire Courage bonus to damage.

Bhaakon
2013-11-03, 10:50 PM
The troglodyte looses a raspy shrieks as Kasuka slices himself off a few reptile steaks, but it remains standing.

Not quite dead, I'm afraid

ProudGrognard
2013-11-04, 03:52 AM
Caleban

Caleban tugs his shirt higher to cover his nose, but the stench make his eyes water. He perseveres and follows the troglodyte to the door, swinging his axe.

"Yes, Nugnug come in. Join us."

PA [roll0] dmg [roll1]

EDIT: ...

Bhaakon
2013-11-04, 04:02 AM
Caleban's slices may not be as precise as Kasuka, but he makes up for it with brute force. The half-orc's axe catches his troglodyte square in the shoulder and drives through its entire torso to raise a line of sparks on the stone floor.

Needless to say, the one by the door is dead.

North_Ranger
2013-11-04, 08:56 AM
"And let you have all the fun? My ancestors would roll in their graves if I did that", Eirik answered cheekily to Kasuka, showing his Ulfen heritage. Continuing his song, he drops his bow and reaches for something else on his belt. Suddenly his whip lashes out like a manticore's tail, hoping to string it around the troglodyte's ankle and drop the ugly thing on the ground for his friends to finish off.

Maintain bardic song, round 9/15.

Switch from bow to whip, then attempt to trip the trog.

[roll0]

stack
2013-11-04, 09:08 AM
Not sooner has the creature fell then Lethos has leapt over its corpse, skirting around the table to strike its fellow, careful to mind any further slick floors.fort [roll]1d20+4[roll]
move to I8, attacking and delivering held charge

att [roll0] (4 dex 1 bab 1 bard song, possibly sickened)
damage [roll1]
shocking grasp [roll2]He holds down a mouthful of bile as he strikes.

"The bird-man kept a disgusting menagerie for his farces. The world will not miss them."

Bhaakon
2013-11-04, 04:00 PM
Lethos dispatches the last troglodyte wit a slice to the throat. It's a bit excessive--the jolt of electricity jumping from blade to scaly flesh had already stilled its heart a split second before the blow struck home--but after the stubborn vitality of the corbies, better not to take half measures.

The answer to the question "what's a nugnug" comes clambering through the door near Caleban. As it turns out, it's eight feet of itchy, angry, hungry, moulting reptile. It snaps at the half-orc's arm, but the needle-sharp teeth slide off his chain mail without penetrating. A good thing, as the beast's rancid saliva promises that the slightest scratch will fester.

DC 12 Knowledge Nature
A large monitor lizard, a stubborn predator known to harry its prey for hours as its poisonous saliva does its work.

Map
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee498/Bhaakon/trogsrd3.jpg

stack
2013-11-04, 04:56 PM
Not wasting any time, Lethos spins to face the new threat before the sizzle from his previous foe fades. The agile elf slides sideways, next to Caleban, dodging fang and claw as he attempts two spell-delivering strokes.5 ft to I9 and spell combat w/ arcane mark as usual, hoping that Kasuka can give flanking
concentration [roll0]
att [roll1] (6 normal, -2 spell combat, +2 flank, +1 bardsong?)(I think I forgot weapon enchantment bonus to attack the whole last fight! Stupid!)
damage [roll2] (assumes bardsong)

att [roll3] (6 normal, -2 spell combat, +2 flank, +1 bardsong?)
damage [roll4] (assumes bardsong)

Bad Situation
2013-11-04, 05:28 PM
Satisfied with the now downed lizardman, Kasuka turns his attention to the large quadrupedal lizard and mirrors Lethos' movement, striking high wherever the elf goes low.

Shift to H7 and provide Lethos with flanking.

ProudGrognard
2013-11-05, 03:08 AM
Caleban

Caleban watches the new horror with a feral grin. He takes a small step and swings his axe in a pivot towards its dripping mouth.

"I think I will make a pair of boots out of you!"

Atk PA [roll0] dmg [roll1]

EDIT: Add 1 due to the bard song. These rolls!

North_Ranger
2013-11-05, 11:00 AM
Eirik almost misses a beat in his song as the slavering lizard appears into the room - only to be greeted by a hailstorm of steel. His song rises in impendiong victory as he picks up his bow again, ready to put the beast down if his friends already hadn't.

Maintain bardic song, roud 10/15.

Switch weapons and fire if the beastie's still standing [roll0], damage [roll1]

Bhaakon
2013-11-05, 02:17 PM
Kasuka cricles the creature, drawing its attention with a serious of slashes up and down its long flank. When the reptile finally turns its head to snap at the young man, Caleban is ready. His axe dives down into the lizard's gristly neck cleanly severing its spine. The nerveless body flails about for a few moments, but soon enough realizes that it's dead.

XP
275 each

Loot
One deliciously plump giant tick

North_Ranger
2013-11-05, 02:30 PM
"Pair of boots, Cal? Really?" Eirik chuckles as he goes to retrieve his arrows and whip. "If you really want to pretend you're one of those guys who spend half the year hunting in the Mushfens, may I also suggest growing a beard and wearing a troglodyte's jawbone as a trophy?" he asks with a wink before taking a look around - first seeing if the trogs had anything of value, and then peering into the next room.

Detect magic and Perception [roll0]

Bhaakon
2013-11-05, 02:47 PM
Eirik glances over into nugnug's room, and finds about what one would expect. It was originally a match to the barracks on the opposite side of the central room they fought it, but the large lizard has completely wrecked the place in its years of residence. Aside from the thick layer of reptile scat on one corner, the only thing of interest are the huge sections of moulted skin hanging off any vertical surface sturdy enough for the creature to rub against.

He backtracks to the first barracks, where you put down the sleeping troglodytes a few moments ago. This time he does find something. peeking out from beneath the heap of bloody mattresses is a scrap of jeweled cloth.

A strong yank frees an entire ballroom gown fit for the finest galas of Oparra (at least the galas of 25 years ago, it's certainly out of fashion by now). The silk itself is stained and ruined, but the scores of gemstones, two long strings of matched pearls, and hundred or so feet of gold thread decorating the dress are as shiny as ever.

Loot
450 gp worth of jewels

The two barracks cleared, there remains three exits. The door on the south wall certainly leads back to the central hall. The stairway on the north side of the room goes up, while the one on the south side leads down into the castle's cellars, dungeons, stores, or whatever else is hidden beneath Brinewall. Whatever is down there, it stinks of troglodytes even worse than the rooms they were occupying on the ground floor.

ProudGrognard
2013-11-05, 02:52 PM
Caleban

"Well it did work, didn't it? I guess now in the afterlife it will tell all each friends not to mess with the half orc with the large axe"

Caleban goes to stand beside Eirik, and peer into the next room.

Take 10 for 18 Perception

stack
2013-11-05, 03:04 PM
"I would wager the 'director' would keep his rooms up rather than down, though I believe it also likely that our ultimate goal is down rather than up, seeking the vaults. I would rather not risk the little bird-man at our backs by leaving the upper reaches uncleared, but he could have also fled below to make mischief there."never ask council of an elf for he will say both yes and no

Bhaakon
2013-11-06, 05:05 PM
Not wanting to tackle an other floor without clering this one, you head back to the central hall and test on of the other door. It opens easily, leading to a short corridor with door on the left and right.

The right door is plainly marked with a tasteful engraving identifying it as a latrine. The small room has been left virtually untouched over the 25-odd years that Brinewall has been abandoned to monsters. Ironically, it's one of the few spaces in the castle not marred by chalky white piles of corby waste.

The left door, in contrast, is scratched and dented with heavy use and abuse.

DC 25 perception
A coarse, amateurish tapestry of a hunting scene at the end of the short hall hides another secret door, this one assuredly leading out to the courtyard.

Map
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee498/Bhaakon/BrinewallgroundblackoutX.jpg

stack
2013-11-06, 05:38 PM
Lethos grunts upon seeing the pristine latrine, "Well, that is unsurprising." Blade in hand, he tries the left door.

Bhaakon
2013-11-06, 08:20 PM
Lethos leads the way as you pile through the door and into a large room lit only by a single guttering lamp fueled by rancid animal fat. The dim flicker is enough to illuminate the four pillars at the center of the space for Eirik, and hint at decrepit dog kennels and discarded bones around the perimeter of the space.

Those with better vision can pick out the long femurs and leering skulls of humanoids among the detritus.

You don't need dark vision to see the twisted, monstrous form resting atop a pile of hay in the center of the space. The female ogrekin's snores cease almost immediately as Lethos and Shalelu enter.

"Wot's that?" She calls out between exaggerated sniffs. "I kin smell you elvesies. My favorites!" She happily purrs as she unfolds she legs (a complicated procedure given the extra joints in those limbs and her ponderous mass) and struggles to her feet.

"Come here, elvesies, and get in Muthildah's belly!" She commands, casually spinning her heavy flail.

Map
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee498/Bhaakon/kennelfight1.jpg

stack
2013-11-06, 08:47 PM
Lethos skirts the edge of the room, keeping his blade between himself and the foul creature. "You should have chosen an easier meal. You will find this one disagreeable." His blade snakes out as punctuation.move to H6 so we can flank next round (provided Caleban doesn't just waste her this round :smallwink:

att [roll0]
damage [roll1]
refreshing the blade enchantment if necessary (1 for the first fight in the courtyard, that one has long since expired, another then for the fight with the 'director', not sure how many rounds since then

Bad Situation
2013-11-07, 01:35 AM
The fetchling ninja only barely masks his scowl as they happen upon the monstrosity, whipping out the whispering shrike in short order. "I don't think I much like the creatures inhabiting this spirits-forsaken place..." The ease at which the blade came to life in his hands surprised him but then, was it really that shocking? Everyone had their talents and it just so happened that dealing death was his own. While the creature is distracted with the more imposing elf, Kasuka steals into the ogrekin's blindside and begins his own assault.

Charge to G7.
Charge Attack: [roll0]

ProudGrognard
2013-11-07, 02:47 AM
Caleban

"I will hurt you now"

With that, Caleban starts running towards the ogrekin, his axe sweeping.

Atk Charge and PA [roll0] dmg [roll1]

North_Ranger
2013-11-07, 11:01 AM
Perception [roll0]

Feeling that his bardic music was at a low ebb, Eirik decided to conserve his most potent magic for something that might save them a fight - or at least make the mongrel woman whose girth made Korvosan opera divas look skinny consider a change of venue. Making a few gestures and whispering a few words of magic, he deafened the sounds of battle with his own spell. Outside the room came the coarse calls of militia men, their weapons rattling and boots thumping as they ran towards the doorway.

"She's here! We found her! Quick, crossbowmen to the front before she runs off!" he called out into the empty corridor, hoping that his luck prevailed. A small treasure trove followed by an ogrekin(ess?) who would be easily cowed...

Already spent majority of my bardic music for today; gonna try and conserve it since I think there's gonna be a helluva lot more fighting ahead. Casting ghost sound, creating an illusion of about fifteen armed and armored men running towards the doorway with weapons. Bluff check, if need be: [roll1]

Bhaakon
2013-11-07, 09:15 PM
Lethos, Kasuka, and Caleban charge the ogrekin, but she's surprisingly nimble on her dog-like legs, and the spinning flail makes a shifting wall of steel that's as effective at knocking blades aside as crushing bones to dust. One of Shalelu's arrow gets through to hit Muthilda, but the arrow only draws a thin line of blood as it glances off her thick brow.

While the the group's melee assault proves fruitless, Eirik's ruse proves a bit more effective, at least for a second it take the morbidly obese ogrekin to figure out that the thunder of boots was illusory. She initially balks and retreats a step to put the wall at her back, but then breaks into a toothy grin.

"Oh-ho, tricksy northman. Muthilda too smart for you! Maybe she kill you slow, though. Have some fun, once the elvsies are cooked and eaten." She suddenly lashes out with the head of the flail, driving flanged ball of steel into Lethos's gut with enough force to pulp organs.

@Lethos
14 damage

Map
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee498/Bhaakon/Kennelfight2.jpg

stack
2013-11-07, 09:33 PM
Lethos doubles over, clutching his stomach. He feigns the beginnings of a collapse, a ruse to cover his rising slice followed by a scything crosscut. He then steps back to put a step between himself and his burly foe.concentration [roll0] arcane mark
att [roll1]
damage [roll2]

att [roll3]
damage [roll4]

No flanking with her back against the wall.

Wait...sheet says sickened? Forgot about that. -2 on both rolls.

Lethos Far-wanderer (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=528595)
M N Elf magus (black blade), Level 2, Init +6, HP 3/17, Speed 30
AC 21, Touch 14, Flat-footed 17, CMD 16, Fort +4, Ref +4, Will +3, CMB +2, Base Attack Bonus 1
Black Blade (not yet awakened) Elven dueling saber (rapier w/ Slashing) +5 (1d6+1, 18-20x2)
studded leather, shield spell (+3 Armor, +4 Shield, +4 Dex)
Abilities Str 13, Dex 18, Con 12, Int 16, Wis 10, Cha 8
Condition sickened 10 rnds

Bad Situation
2013-11-07, 09:43 PM
Post will be up in a few minutes.

Five Foot Step to G7.
Attack #1: [roll0]
Attack #2: [roll2]
-- Damage: [roll3]

ProudGrognard
2013-11-08, 04:42 AM
Caleban

"Are you all right there, Lethos? Eirik can you help here?"

Caleban asks as he sees the elf get doubled over with the might blow. He then swings at the opposite direction, to take advantage of the opening. The axe connects with a crunch.

PA [roll0] dmg [roll1]

Bhaakon
2013-11-08, 04:53 AM
Thinking that she's gelled the elf's innards, Muthilda's surprise is complete when Lethos's sabre rips into her short ribs. She howls in pain and wheels, but that just leaves her wide open for Kasuka and Caleban to finish the job. Her fail falls from nerveless fingers as the last axe blow strikes home.

XP
200 each

Loot
1x MW heavy flail
+1 heavy flail
77 gp

stack
2013-11-08, 08:08 AM
"Unfortunately I am not a good enough actor to have entirely feigned the performance. I fear I need a bit of tending to."3/17, man I'm burning charges (unless someone wants to use real slots...which will be needed elsewhere yet, I imagine)
[roll0]
[roll1] Two charges, 15 HP total.
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
trying to hit 15+

spellcraft [roll5] Suspicious of the ogrekin's prowess, Lethos spies the magical enhancement of her weapon but is unable to decipher it, still unbalanced from the blow he took.

North_Ranger
2013-11-08, 08:35 AM
"Well, it takes some time to learn to throw oneself in the performance", Eirik offered apologetically as he moved over to Lethos. "I'm sorry I had to withhold my more potent magic, but I fear we may have more of the director's actors and crew to deal with. Too many for one day, even", he continued as he espied the flail his elven comrade was so intensely studying.

Detect magic and aid another for Lethos's Spellcraft check [roll0]

Followed by Perception for the room proper [roll1]

Bhaakon
2013-11-08, 04:20 PM
Having sussed out the flail's enchantment, Eirik makes a thorough search of the room. The ulfen finds plenty of bone, from at least five humanoids and untold scores of game animals, but its seems like the ogrekin kept everything of value in her greasy belt pouch.

stack
2013-11-08, 04:52 PM
"If there is nothing else here, let us continue with our sweep. With my significant magic exhausted, perhaps Caleban should take the lead."

North_Ranger
2013-11-08, 04:58 PM
"Agreed. But we should consider returning to the camp at some point. If for no other reason than to see if slashing at the director helped Ameiko", Eirik agreed. Facing the stares of his friends, he shrugged. "Hey, it could happen. Have you any idea how many ballads have the villain's lair crumbling or the princess healing the moment he dies?"

Bad Situation
2013-11-08, 05:12 PM
Kasuka impassively stares at the bard, "Your logic is inherently flawed then. Despite my best efforts, I did not kill the tengu who claimed to be the director." Then the fetchling closes his eyes and places himself at the foot of the door, already preparing to leave, "In any case, I am not at all lacking in endurance, mystical or otherwise. I can fight on still. I would rather we secure this floor before retiring for the day, at least. I do not wish to waste any more time than we strictly must."

North_Ranger
2013-11-08, 05:31 PM
"Yet. You didn't kill the director yet", Eirik offered with a sincere smile and a pat on Kasuka's shoulder, as if to say he had no doubts that before their task was done, Kasuka would be introducing the tengu to Pharasma. "Let's see what we can find. As long as I've got any magic left, I'll help. After that, I still have my bow and my sword and my whip. If nothing else, I can start singing songs about the mother of our enemies", he continued with a broadening grin.

ProudGrognard
2013-11-09, 02:13 AM
Caleban

Caleban leans on his axe and cleans it a bit from entrails and gore as he speaks.

"I say we at least secure that level here before going on. I am still OK and I have not yet used the Lady 's gifts.

And yes, I can take point. Though it will be a massive, steel point, with a wooden handle. Har har har.

That way?"

I say we move on, as per the plan. Anyone needs healing?

Bhaakon
2013-11-09, 03:04 AM
With Caleban's axe leading the way, you head back to the central hall and through the door at the foot of the stairway up. It opens on a short passageway, a sort of buffer between the public space of the central hall and the private garden you find through the next door.

At least it might once have been a garden. Any flowering plants have long since been choked into oblivion by the tangle of ivy that blankets the ground and climbs all the way up to walls to the very roof of the keep. The only clear space is a pathway around a dank, algae-choked pond in the center of the courtyard, with branches leading to a turret and another door in the southeast corner.

DC 20 Perception
There's a secret door in the south wall, just to the right of where the curved section meets the flat section.

DC 23
There's a dark, oblong mass in the center of the pond, about 12 feet by five. It's so still that at first you think it's a patch of odd-colored algae or some rubbish the corbies have dumped here, but the longer you look, the more sure you are that it's an enormous beetle-like creature.

DC 13 knowledge (nature)
It's a giant belostomatid, the much, much, much larger cousin of the common aquatic pest known as a toe-biter. It's an ambush predator that latches onto its prey with its powerful front legs while its paralytic enzymes dissolve the unfortunate meal from the inside out.

Map
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee498/Bhaakon/Brinewallgroundblackout2.jpg

ProudGrognard
2013-11-09, 03:40 AM
Caleban

Caleban sniffs his hooked nose disdainfully at the smell of the dead garden. He is ready to go back when he sees that a section of the wall casts a weird shadow.

"Neighbors, there is another hidden door here. The original owner of this place must have been a strange person."

He approaches it and takes a look for any obvious traps. But again, he sees something in the pond.

"Eyes open, neighbors, there is a beetle thing in the pond!"

Caleban tries to hide his shivers. He really dislikes bugs. And he was to take point!

Bhaakon
2013-11-09, 04:28 AM
The giant vermin can't understand common, but Caleban's body language is clear enough. It knows it's been spotted, but, instead of charging from the water, it simply lifts front half above the surface and spreads its barbed front legs wide, as if waiting for something.

DC 13 knowledge (nature)
It's a giant belostomatid, the much, much, much larger cousin of the common aquatic pest known as a toe-biter. It's an ambush predator that latches onto its prey with its powerful front legs while its paralytic enzymes dissolve the unfortunate meal from the inside out.

ProudGrognard
2013-11-09, 08:44 AM
Caleban

Uncharacteristically, Caleban does not charge. He instead moves away a bit and takes out his shortbow. Knocking an arrow, he takes aim.

"Let it come to us"

[roll0] dmg [roll1]

North_Ranger
2013-11-09, 08:58 AM
Eirik Evensong

Kn. Nature [roll0]

"I must say I agree with you", Eirik muttered as he quickly took a step back and echoed Cal's movement of aiming at the beastie. "Why is it always beetles and spiders? I would love to see a giant butterfly for once."

Attack [roll1] (assuming the belosti.., belozzo... beluga... the beetle thing is within 30ft. If not, reduce 1 from result)
Damage: [roll2]

stack
2013-11-09, 09:44 AM
Lethos momentarily lowers his blade, pointing his finger to the beetle and speaking arcane words. daze, Will DC 13, only efect 4 HD or less

had to check, I never even think about combat cantrips beyond arcane mark to get an extra attack

untrained on nature, so no roll
"Would not your goddess be displeased if we slew butterflies?"

Bhaakon
2013-11-10, 02:50 AM
Eirik and Caleban fire simultaneously, with the bard's arrow glancing off the beast's carapace while the half-orc's arrow managed to find a joint in the one of the thing's legs.

Lethos points his finger, but if he was expecting the insect to flinch or otherwise betray some effect of the spell, he's fated for disappointment.

Map
Just need Kasuka to go

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee498/Bhaakon/toebiter1.jpg

Bad Situation
2013-11-10, 02:53 AM
Feeling somewhat stupid for even considering chucking things at a creature sitting in the middle of a pond, Kasuka simply stands back while his companions shoot at the thing and crosses his arms impatiently.

Ready an action to charge the thing and intercept it if it moves and tries to attack any of the other PCs.

ProudGrognard
2013-11-10, 03:22 AM
Caleban

Caleban looks at his bow and then at the arrangement of his companions. Feeling somewhat silly for trying to nickthe thing one arrow at the time, he changes in, changing his weapon as he goes.

Charge PA [roll0] dmg [roll1]

Bhaakon
2013-11-10, 03:44 AM
Showing no effects from Lethos's spell, the enormous beetle rears and swipes its grasping front logs at Kasuka. The ninja rolls forward under the attack and jabs whispering shrike up into the beast's belly.

It's not a terrible wound, given the creature's bulk, but it certainly gets its attention. It takes all of Kasuka's skills to dodge the thing's stabbing proboscis on the muddy edge of the pond.

Caleban drops his bow and wades into the melee, quite literally as he splashes into waist-deep water to bring his axe into play. As it turns out, the insect's carapace is quite a bit softer than steel. His weapon smashes through the creature's back to spill its innards into the pond. Mortally wounded, the belostomatid retreats back under the water to die.

XP
200 each

Bad Situation
2013-11-10, 04:02 AM
The ninja ducks and dodges the insectoid's assault, intent on drawing on all of its attention when he catches Caleban wading into the water, finally flipping back to safety when the half-orc cleaves it clean through. Save for a bit of mud on his padded boots, Kasuka looks no worse for wear as he leans down to wash away the ichor staining his blade in the room's pond water. Without looking back up at the others while he works he asks, "Where to next?"

Bhaakon
2013-11-10, 04:03 AM
There are three paths forward. The secret door in the south wall, the entrance to the turret across the pond, and the door in the southeast corner.

ProudGrognard
2013-11-10, 04:48 AM
Caleban

Caleban wades out of the water and cleans his axe, then rests on it.

"I always favor the hidden doors. I like to find why ther are hidden."

Bhaakon
2013-11-10, 05:23 AM
The secret door grinds open onto another hallway. Except for the engraved mahogany double doors on the west end, the hall is furnished in the style of utilitarian rusticity typically reserved for servants quarters and barracks. It's held up a bit better than the more expensive decor from the central hall.

The three doors on the east end of the hall are rough-cut timbers strapped with iron. Though stout, their simple latching handles don't even have locks.

Map
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee498/Bhaakon/Brinewallgroundsecret.jpg

So west, east, north, or south.

North_Ranger
2013-11-10, 06:17 AM
"Hold on, let's see first if our deceased opponent's previous meals have left anything of value behind. I sincerely doubt that thing could have eaten metal or gems", Eirik suggested hopefully as he began to look through the dilapidated gardens.

Perception [roll0]

Bhaakon
2013-11-10, 06:29 AM
Eirik's instincts are on the money. It seems like the 'Director' used this creature to dispose of uninvited guests. Mixed amid rusted buckles and rotting boots on the bottom of the pond, you dredge up a scant handful of coins and jewelry that those unfortunates managed to hide from the corbies.

Loot
28 gold

ProudGrognard
2013-11-10, 07:04 AM
Caleban

"That was good thinking, handsome. Now, I say we move on. Waana go to the outer building? And the sweep back to the main castle?"

That is the eastern outer building, with the three sets of doors. Let 's take the norther one.

Bhaakon
2013-11-10, 07:49 AM
The northern door opens on a dusty old store room. The space is tightly packed with spare linens, candles, torches, ladders, extra chairs, collapsible tables, tools for gardening and carpentry, replacement fixtures, and various other necessities for maintaining the castle and its grounds.

Not being particularly interested in maintenance, the current residents have left the space more or less untouched.

Another door on the north side of the space leads back out to the inner garden and its pond.

North_Ranger
2013-11-10, 11:48 AM
"The Song of the Spheres always shows her pleasure to those who look beyond the obvious and the plainly visible", Eirik answered to Cal with a smile on his lips. "And today, she has been more than kind. If nothing else, we have the coin we need should we need to head back to civilization for a cleric to lift this... curse upon Ameiko", he added as he packed away the coins and gemstones.

After the futile search on the storage room, the young Ulfen tried to make a little mental map of what was left of Brinewall's first floor. "So, shall we also check the southern storage space just in case or head back to the keep? There's likely just more chairs and such, but you never know..."

Bhaakon
2013-11-10, 07:17 PM
Once more Eirik proves prescient. The southern door in the hall proves a mirror image of the first, with a similarly boring collection of domestic supplies.

DC 20 Perception
Hidden beneath a neatly folded stack of table linens is a leather quiver with a 21 masterwork arrows. 20 have cold iron bodkins, while the last is a broadhead with complicated etching and bright red fletching.

DC 27 spellcraft
The last one is a +1 flaming burst arrow

Map
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee498/Bhaakon/Brinewallground2.jpg

stack
2013-11-11, 08:27 AM
As the others chat and search, Lethos has retreated back into his own mind, following silently. Voices whisper, a multitude, just beyond hearing but growing stronger. Centuries of warriors and blademaster's calling to him. He pushes them back, pressing on with the task at hand, but the do not go entirely silent. Indeed, their voices have been growing stronger each day since he took up his father's blade once again.
spellcraft (in case someone else finds the spoiler, I'm not going to roll with +0 perception. Taking 20 in one room to find a spoiler seems too meta. [roll0]

North_Ranger
2013-11-12, 10:37 AM
Just for larks, Eirik decided to look around in the other storage room with another small bardic spell, one that revealed magical auras to him. You never knew what might be stored behind a secret wall panel or stashed under a rock... Even then, no one was more surprised than he himself when the spell actually picked up something.

"Over here!" he called over to Lethos and Cal, maneuvering between stacks of folded chairs and rusting candelabra. Picking up the linens, he whistled when he found the quiver. "Looks like someone left a present for us", he said, pulling out first the red-fletched one that danced in his vision. "This one's even magical. I wonder if...", he said before pulling out another one. "Nah. Good quality, though. Looks like cold iron, too."

Perhaps we should wait on the spellcraft checks until we retiurn to the wagons? A DC 27 check is hard to break, even with three people (two of us and Koya) helping out.

"I think you should hold onto these, Shalelu. I can't hit the broad side of a barn."

Bhaakon
2013-11-13, 04:15 AM
Shalelu accepts the arrows, turning each over in her hands to test its balance before adding them to her own extensive collection.

"You hit that ogrekin in the courtyard, didn't you? He was the size of a small wood-shed, at best." Given her typical deadpan delivery, you're not sure whether she's serious or not.

===============================================

With the storerooms cleared, all that left in the east wing is to open the double doors at the ends of the hall. Caleban takes the point, twisting the latch, pushing the door, and charging in a few steps before the room's strange decor stops him short.

Whatever the space was originally used for, it's now a trophy room, of sorts, for a very amateurish taxidermist. Grotesquely misshapen mounts of dogs, wolves, boars, and even a black bear dot the chamber. The walls are filled with birds of prey, most tacked up whole, like mounted insects, and left to dry (or rot, in some cases). Picking jars containing smaller animals are stacked up against the arrow slits in the back wall, giving the light filtering in a sickly yellow quality.

Perhaps the worst are the humanoid mounts. A corby and a troglodyte are present, along with a human, elf, and halfling. All display a lack of anatomical knowledge, and the craftsman has made no attempt to replicate facial features, leaving the skin of the faces to droop like melting wax mannequins.

ProudGrognard
2013-11-13, 04:38 AM
Caleban

Caleban scowls and growls at the display.

"If that was done by the Director creature we saw earlier, he will join his collection very soon."

Without a word, he takes the humanoid corpses and takes the out to bury them. He then searches the room

Perception [roll0] and detect magic

stack
2013-11-13, 08:00 AM
Lethos helps Caleban in his grizzly task. "We knew he had a disturbed mind. I hope he has not fled the castle entirely, I would hate to not have a chance to show him our appreciation of his work here."

North_Ranger
2013-11-13, 10:48 AM
"Preferrably with a blade up a suitable orifice, I gather?" Eirik asked the elven spellsword, while he himself kept his bow at the ready. This place looked horrid, and he couldn't help shake the feeling that any moment now the horrid displays would animate in a life-mocking danse macabre.

Hoping against hope, the young Ulfen whispered spells of detection as he helped Cal in studying the room's vile contents.

Same as Grog: detect magic and Perception [roll0]

Bhaakon
2013-11-13, 06:09 PM
Caleban and Eirik scan the room once their finish casting. As is typical of that most basic of divinations, it take a few second to discern anything useful. By the time the pair register the subtle wisp of illusion magic, the source has already made its presence known.

"Thatsagoodideanorthman," buzzes a high-pitched voice. "Mostpainfulandawellpreservedskin." By the time its finished its sentence, the creature has is on the move, flitting across the room so quickly that its slim humanoid form is literally a blur.

It's so quick that Eirik's already bleeding from a stab wound in the rear before he can even register that the thing is behind him.

@Eirik
4 damage

DC 13 knowledge (nature)
This creature is a quickling, a wicked type of fey that that tends to delight in torment and mayhem. In addition to the resistance to damage typical of creature form the first world, quicklings' prodigious speed allows them to avoid even well-aimed blows, and they phase into invisibility when they chose to stand still.

Map
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee498/Bhaakon/quicklingbattle1.jpg

stack
2013-11-13, 08:57 PM
I am so training nature next level! I hate not evening getting to roll. Lethos reacts quickly, blade lashing out as he puts the attacker between himself and the bard. He may not now what is attacking, but the fact that it attacked is sufficient.

usual.
concentration [roll0]
att [roll1] (no enchantment, flanking, no bard song included)
damage [roll2]

att [roll3] (no enchantment, flanking, no bard song included)
damage [roll4]

ProudGrognard
2013-11-14, 04:14 AM
Caleban

Caleban very obviously changes weapons and takes out a huge cold iron morningstar.

"Wanna play, quickling? Wanna feel how it is to have iron spikes down your body?

Careful, neighbors. This thing will turn invisible when still."

With that Caleban aims for the fey. His swings are wide, hoping to catch it not by precision, but by strength.

PA [roll0] dmg [roll1]

Edit: We need to by See invisible scrolls! And bad bad roll.

North_Ranger
2013-11-14, 10:02 AM
Eirik lets out a pained yowl, bleeding from his arse-cheek of all places. "Oh, I see. Brinewall's been taken over by the Varisian Society of Hecklers And Wiseasses. Fine by me, that means I get to stop playing nice", Eirik hisses, clearly aggravated by being stung by one of his own barbs.

Hearing Cal's quip about cold iron, and considering the creature's whimsical behaviour actually gives Eirik an idea. Stepping out of combat with a spell on his lips, he claps his hands together. "See the power of a TRUE child of the First World", he hisses as he stares daggers at the quickling, just as shadowy, inky vines begin to sprout from his hair and his collar, his eyes turning from their playful blue to the raging grey of a stormy sea. Wherever he steps, the ground seems to swell and bubble as unnatural, twisted plantlife springs to life.

Behind the glamer, Eirik hoped that the little creature would be fooled by this little cantrip he had learned from a gnomish bard some years earlier. He had never used it in combat before.

5-foot step back, Eirik uses haunted fey aspect (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/h/haunted-fey-aspect) and tries to Intimidate the quickling [roll0]

Bhaakon
2013-11-15, 08:18 PM
"Heheheheh." The quickling laughs off Eirik's attempt at intimidation. He finds Kasuka, Lethos, and Shalelu's forceful arguments less entertaining, but the trio of blows which should have left the slight creature in several inert chunks somehow prove significantly less than mortal.

Mostly, though, it seems frightened of Caleban's cold iron morningstar. the creature retreats a step and points at the weapon. Caleban feels his hands buzzing as the weapon begins vibrating in sympathy with the quickling's fey magic.

@Caleban
DC 14 will save of the morningstar is destroyed.

Map
Same as the last map, but the quickling retreats to E7

stack
2013-11-15, 10:14 PM
Lethos paces the creatures movements, continuing his attack.Thought I had Lethos in E7...never specified the space though I described it....He'll 5' step to wherever he can get to keep flanking

concentration [roll0]
att [roll1]
damage [roll2]

att [roll3]
damage [roll4]

ProudGrognard
2013-11-16, 02:54 AM
Caleban

Recognizing the magical attack, Caleban bends his will to holding on to his weapon. He shrugs the fey 's attack and then grins.

"This is mine. But you can have it. Point first"

He pursues the fey across, the morningstar wielded in both hands.

PA [roll0] dmg [roll1]

North_Ranger
2013-11-16, 10:09 AM
Eirik clenched his teeth as the illusion persisted. Well, it had been a long shot in the first place. "Oh, you find this amusing, do you?" he asked as he reached into his scroll case and pulled out one of the parchments he had purchased on the way.

"Well let's see you laugh at this", he called out as he began to cast the spell inscribed within. At the height of the spell, his mouth flew wide open, but produced no sound - except to the quickling's ears. What the fae heard sounded like a horrid, inhumane (or perhaps in its case, in-fae) scream so shrill that it made every bone in the lithe creature's body ache, like they were about to shatter like brittle glass.

Eirik casts ear-piercing scream from the scroll. The quickling takes [roll0] and is dazed for a round unless it makes a successful DC 14 Fortitude save - inn which case it is not stunned and takes only half the damage.

At the beginning of his next turn, the haunted fey aspect fades.

Bad Situation
2013-11-16, 03:57 PM
Silent as a spectre, Kasuka watches the strange creature seemingly disappear from sight as it darts in and out to assault his team. So very much like his own family's style of combat. It was almost insulting to see it used against him. When the quickling finally stops a ways away from the others, the fetchling throws himself into the melee and makes his own move, stopping only when he's sure he has his blade lodged in what he assumes is one of the creature's vital organs.

Bhaakon
2013-11-16, 08:19 PM
Kasuka dives forward, whispering shrike stabbing a half dozen times, but the quickly seems to always be just ahead of each jab. Caleban isn't even that close, slamming the cold iron weapon into the stone floor several step behind the quickling. Lethos draws blood, at last, but only a scratch as the fey creature's flesh again rejects the common steel of his weapon.

The thing even seems proof against Eirik's magic, as it hardly even pauses to shake its head clear under the bard's aural assault. But that's enough time for Shalelu, who, taking the hint from Caleban, has switched to her recently acquired cold iron arrows. Two strums of her bowstring later and the quickling is pinned to the wall like one of its grisly displays.

XP
200 each, level 3!

Loot
1 small shortsword
4x vials of straw-colored liquid
Medium spider venom

Once you relieve the quickling of its limited gear, you turn back to the taxidermy. It would appear that the foul little beastie put most of its resources into decorating its creations. The humanoid displays are decorated in several pieces of the most garish jewelry imaginable (though still made of gold and gems).

Loot the dead?!
220 gp worth of jewelry

stack
2013-11-17, 02:28 PM
The skirmish over, Lethos begins cleaning his blade of the fey blood when a riot of voices overcome him.

You have forgotten the secrets, the art.

Even this weak creature laughed at your blows.

You left the path, long ago.

But you where chosen.

It is your destiny.

Destiny.

Destiny.

No. I chose. I chose her, not the path of blood.

You chose poorly. Where is she now, child?

To weak to save her.

Weak.

Feeble.

Clumsy.

I loved her.

As you loved your children?

Abandoned.

Lost.

And now you put your foot back on the path, you claim the blade?

But where is your heart?

You failed. You are not worthy.

The art is beyond you.

Perfection is not in your hands.

You are useless.

I am not. I will be the master. I must. I will find them!

Two roads. Which will you walk?

The path of blades?

Or to follow your weakness?

Dance the blade dance. Sing the blood song. Perfection awaits, completion of the endless quest.

The perfect stroke.

The perfect stroke.

The perfect stroke.

The dark elf gasps as his eyes focus back on the world around him, his face a mix of anger and doubt.

Bhaakon
2013-11-18, 03:42 PM
Shalelu yanks one of the cold iron arrows free of the quickly and wipes it clean on the creature's clothing before returning it to her quiver. As she turns back to the door, she sees Lethos pale and gasping.

"You look as if you've seen a ghost. Is the killing too much for you, then? Because I feel fairly certain that these creatures' fate is well deserved, but you can go back to the caravan if you're not feeling up to it." As usual, it's difficult to tell if her concern is real or mocking.

stack
2013-11-18, 04:56 PM
Lethos' grip tightens and his eyes narrow on her before turning sharply away and storming off toward the remaining unexplored doors. "There is work to be done. Keep up or go back."

Bad Situation
2013-11-18, 05:50 PM
The fetchling ninja watches the exchange between the two elves with muted curiosity before simply shrugging his shoulders as he hurries past the swordsman and takes away the lead. He does however, stops to mutter as he passes by, "And how long ago was it that you complained of your failing magical reserves? If your weariness will detract from the success of this expedition, you would be better suited to tending to the camp, I think."

stack
2013-11-18, 09:40 PM
The elf grunts back, "I do not need magic to fight, my blade will suffice. I can mind my own skills; I need no nursemaids."

ProudGrognard
2013-11-19, 12:58 AM
Caleban

Caleban has stood a bit to catch his breath after the damn quickling died. He too felt the need to reexamine his connection to his Lady. There have been too much, too fast. But he endured. He always endured.

Moving quickly near the others, he also takes his place besides Lethos.

"If the man says he is good to go, he is. And if anyone is filling sarcastic today, there are lots of creatures here to vent his or her edge. No need to spread it around.

Long day, neighbors. Long day. Just a bit more and we can have a rest."

Bhaakon
2013-11-19, 01:26 AM
"We'll see, Caleban. We're not just here to slay monsters and loot their corpses. We're here for answers, and we've found none as of yet." Mutters Shalelu. Then, in a louder voice, "Other end of the hall, then?"

ProudGrognard
2013-11-19, 01:51 AM
Caleban

"I am also here to clear the path for those who will come after, Shalelu. I am also here to reclaim the darkness. But we 'll see.

Yes, let's move"

North_Ranger
2013-11-19, 02:05 PM
Eirik Evensong

"Right behind you, as always", Eirik nodded to Cal as he filled one of their designated loot bags with the quickling taxidermist's gaudy jewellery. "And Shalelu... don't be so quick to judge. You know that we're going to use these monies to help Ameiko if whatever malignant force gripping her does not prevail after we're done finding this vault she was talking about in her visions", the young ulfen continued, his tone of voice sincere and without his usual mirthfulness. He was completely serious in the matter. Ameiko had to get better, and to Asmodeus with the rest of it.

"I suggest we clear this floor of the keep and then decide what to do next. If we do decide to return to camp, well... I'm sure the gods will keep an eye on the keep", he added before looking around suspiciously, knowing these old castles might well hold a secret tunnel or two for listening. Carefully he then formed name 'Spivey' with his lips, without actually uttering the lyrakien's name.

I believe you have to use Bluff to pass on a message unnoticed? [roll0]

Bhaakon
2013-11-19, 08:11 PM
Shalelu nods, catching Eirik's message, but still doesn't seem pleased with the idea of leaving without a cure for Ameiko (or wounds terrible enough to excuse her failure).

==============================================

You move forward, marching across the short hall to open the ornate double doors-the last unexplored area on the ground floor of this wing, if your mental maps are correct.

The unlocked portal opens with a light tug, exposing the wreckage of a once impressive ballroom. Frescoes of cavorting elves and fey decorate the walls, with matching scenes stitched into the rugs lining the fringe of the dance floor. An ornately carved staircase of Sargovian hardwood leads to a second story balcony draped with crimson and jet bunting.

But the marble floor is gouged and stained with blood. The frescoes are moldy and damp, also marred with rust-colored splatter. The bunting is tattered and faded. No one has celebrated here for a very long time.

Another set of double doors on the western side of the room leads out into the central hall. A smaller exit, also on the western wall, leads to a stairway down.

DC 15 Perception
This room clearly saw a battle, and quite likely a massacre. The massive bloodstain on the marble dance floor must be the result of dozens of bodies piled up. The height of the blood splatter on the walls and depth of the weapon gouges in the stone--likely from a prodigious axe or similar weapon--prove the presence of at least one inhumanly large and powerful combatant.

Map
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee498/Bhaakon/exploredarea2.jpg

ProudGrognard
2013-11-20, 02:43 AM
Caleban

Perception take 10 for 19. Also Detect Evil!

Caleban stands still for a moment scanning the room. His eyes seem to mist.

"There was a battle here. Where at least one of the combatants was big."

stack
2013-11-20, 08:03 AM
"We haven't seen anything that large yet. No matter, it will fall just the same."

North_Ranger
2013-11-20, 10:05 AM
Also take ten on Perception for 16. And dancing lights.

"Big?" Eirik asked, snapping his fingers to bring a little light into the room. Four pale-blue orbs of lights gathered around him, dancing a slow dance around him as he studied the gouges on the walls.

"When you say 'big', you mean... what? Hill giant 'big'? Dragon 'big'? Sandru's ego 'big'? Because if it's the last, I don't think we can take it."

ProudGrognard
2013-11-20, 10:17 AM
Caleban

Calevan laughs at Eirik 's comment. It was refreshing.

"I think it is 'trouble for Ulfen peacocks after a night with Guard Captain's daughter' big. That is, good size larger than a man. If it was 'Eirik's belief in his own talent' big, then we could not handle it.

Har, har, har"

North_Ranger
2013-11-20, 10:49 AM
Eirik grinned and shrugged. "You know how modest I am, Cal. If it was 'my talent' big, it wouldn't fit in the castle", he quipped back, looking around for signs of secret doors or passive spells.

Perception [roll0] and detect magic.

"Besides, she had a cricket under her blouse. I was helping her get it out."

stack
2013-11-20, 12:06 PM
"Were it half the size of the peacock's mouth it would never have fit in the castle." quips Lethos in his dry manner.

Bad Situation
2013-11-20, 07:35 PM
Kasuka pointedly ignores the others and their attempts at crude humor, having experienced quite enough of the foul jokes due to his relative proximity to Sandru over the years.

Bhaakon
2013-11-24, 01:15 AM
It's hard to notice at first, as the ballroom is just as filthy and splattered with corby droppings as the rest of the castle, but the more time you spend examining the signs of the long-past battle, the worse the smell gets.

Like the proverbial frog in a cold pot set to boil, your eyes are nearly watering before you realize that the nausea-inducing stench of troglodyte is seeping in from around the doors to the main hall.

ProudGrognard
2013-11-24, 03:03 AM
Caleban

...wrinkles his nose at the filth.

"Let's move on, neighbors. Nothing here."

We have examined this room, right? With Detect Evil and stuff? Move on then. If not, Perception [roll0] and Det. Evil before leaving.

Bhaakon
2013-11-24, 04:05 AM
You've checked the downstairs. You obviously can't search the balcony without going up.

There's a dim aura of evil lingering on the balcony above you, but whatever created it no long seems to be present.

ProudGrognard
2013-11-24, 04:31 AM
Caleban

"There was something up there. Something nasty. Not anymore though. Should I go check it?"

Pick a room for the next one. How can I go up exactly?

Bhaakon
2013-11-24, 04:39 AM
There's a stairway in the ballroom that leads up to the balcony

ProudGrognard
2013-11-24, 04:48 AM
OK, up Caleban goes.

Bhaakon
2013-11-24, 05:36 AM
Caleban mounts the exotic hardwood staircase, finding that the frescos from below continue up. Here the walls are decorated with scenes of a sylvan canopy, with sprites and grigs chasing colorful songbirds between fruit-bearing boughs. The walls don't show the same signs of battle as you saw below, but rainwater leaking in from above has damaged the plaster in places.

The delicate railing along the edge of the balcony was not built for strength, and hasn't hasn't aged well. You doubt that it could bear much weight beyond the decrepit bunting already hanging from it.

Much like the downstairs, the upper floor of the ballroom has two sets of ornately carved double doors, one east and one west. They're the only exits on the second floor.

Downstairs, the stench of troglodyte is only growing worse, and now you can hear them milling about in the central hall. A single voice barks orders in terse Draconic. Lethos understands that someone (not the Director) is ordering the troglodytes to sweep the ground floor.

ProudGrognard
2013-11-24, 06:22 AM
Caleban

Caleban goes down as fast as he can. Hefting his axe, he growls.

"Troglodytes incoming. Someone is giving orders. Why don't we take the fight to them?""

He proceeds to touch the Lady' s medallion under his shirt, ready to ask her blessing.

If the party agrees with the plan, cast Shield of Faith. +2 to AC for 4 minutes

Bad Situation
2013-11-24, 08:55 PM
Kasuka merely nods his assent and finds a place to perch himself in case of a fight and melds into the murky darkness of the keep wherever he can find it.

stack
2013-11-24, 09:27 PM
Lethos nods, his blade ever ready. e slides into ambush position next to the door, listening to the voice on the other side and gesturing to the others.

Blood.
Battle.
Be ready.

A time for glory.

Small glory.

You aren't worthy of more.

Not yet.move adjacent to the door closest to the sound, ready action to attack swift to enchant blade (0/4 AP left)
attack [roll0]
damage [roll1]

Ah, dervish dance! Finally.

ProudGrognard
2013-11-25, 03:25 AM
Caleban
HP 20, AC 19 (SoF 4 min)

Caleban silently points to Shalelu that she could up in the balcony and have fun shooting. He then bows his head and whispers a prayer to the Lady in fervent tones.

Help me Lady stand against your enemies. Help clear your Paths. Help me reclaim the darkness.

Around him, a small whirl of colors coalesces, like a barely invisible shield. He then takes point in the door closest to the noise.

Bhaakon
2013-11-27, 04:31 AM
You scramble for you places as the stench builds. The scrabble of troglodyte claws marching towards the door is accompanied by an intensification of their prodigious odor. For those unfortunate enough to be positioned near the door, it now takes a real effort to hold your gorge down.

@Lethos, Caleban, Kasuka
DC 15 Fort save or sickened (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/conditions#TOC-Sickened) for 10 rounds

The doors burst open, and the first of the malodorous reptiles stumbles in, virtually impaling itself on Lethos's sabre. Behind their brave, skewered vanguard are seven more of the troglodytes, lead from the rear by unusually large specimen waving a cold iron morningstar.

Map
Surprise round: Everyone but Lethos.

1st full round: Lethos only.

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee498/Bhaakon/ballroombattle1-1.jpg

ProudGrognard
2013-11-27, 04:45 AM
Caleban
HP 20, AC 19(SoF)

Caleban feels his nostrils twitch but he has been expecting it. Exhaling with care, he waits for the door to swing, his axe falling in tempo.

PA [roll0] dmg [roll1]

He then tries a trick he has been rehearsing a few times now, using his swing and Lethos' movement to hide his footwork, taking a step back.

Pack attack as an immediate action! If Lethos does the same, they will have to move to us.

Bhaakon
2013-11-27, 05:16 AM
As the lead troglodyte is busy extricating its entrails from the elf's sabre, Caleban exploits its distraction with an overhand blow that neatly divides the reptile's skull in two even halves.

L8 is very dead.

Bad Situation
2013-11-27, 06:19 AM
The fetchling wrinkles his nose at the distasteful smell but seems to stomach it all the same as his face settles into a stoic resolution. When the doors finally burst open, the ninja jumps back a small distance and in what is clearly a very practiced motion, Kasuka rips out a shuriken from his wrist-mounted sheathe and sends a few of the projectiles whirling out at one of the nearby troglodytes. Throwing had never been his area of expertise but if nothing else the spinning stars would soften the enemy's guard enough for his comrades to prey upon.

Reposted from the OoC: (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16506672&postcount=1142)
Fortitude Save: (1d20+4)[18]
Readied Shuriken vs K9 (Flatfooted): (1d20+6)[21]
-- Damage: (1d2)[2]
-- Sneak Attack: (2d6)[6]

stack
2013-11-27, 11:58 AM
Lethos follow Caleban's lead and slide back a step, guarding the stairs. His sword rises to a reversed high guard, ready to scythe down on the first foe to come in reach.

5' to O-10, giving Kasuka a chance to join the melee fun

ready action to attack
att [roll0]
damage [roll1]

Bhaakon
2013-11-28, 03:44 AM
With the first troglodyte in cut down and second in line nursing an arrow wound a shuriken to the neck, their disturbingly large and clever boss rethinks their strategy. He yanks a javelin from mount on his back and tosses it, barking at his vanguard to do the same. Kasuka deftly sidesteps the hurled missiles, while Caleban's faith is rewarded when the pair aimed at him bounce off his shielding spell.

Meanwhile, the two troglodytes at the rear of the group sprint off to the north, quickly disappearing around the corner that leads to the overgrown garden. If they know the secret way, it will only take them a few second to reach the eastern doors of the ballroom and have you surrounded.

Map
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee498/Bhaakon/ballroombattle2.jpg

ProudGrognard
2013-11-28, 04:13 AM
Caleban

"They are going the other way! Kasuka, Eirik, can you hold or jam the door behind us?"

Caleban winks at Lethos, with a 'Care to join the fun' look, and then roars as he charges the trog line.

"You are gonna suffeeeer!"

PA charge [roll0] dmg [roll1]

Bhaakon
2013-11-28, 04:44 AM
The half orc rushes through the open door, splitting open another troglodyte like cordwood with his greataxe.

K8 is dead

Bad Situation
2013-11-28, 07:00 AM
Seeking to finish the job, the fetchling ninja whips out another shuriken and sends it flying at the troglodyte he'd managed to injure before pivoting hard on his heel to position himself by the second set of doors. "I can handle a few lizards by myself. Just take care of the big one by the time I'm through with the minions."

Attack (Range Penalty): [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
Shift to S8.

stack
2013-12-02, 08:12 AM
"Surround us? They won't last that long." The elf follows Caleban forward, attacking the next reptile.

Weak creatures. Grow strong by fighting worthy foes.

move to L9
attack [roll0]
damage [roll1]

stack
2013-12-02, 08:13 AM
oops

damage [roll0]

Bhaakon
2013-12-04, 12:40 AM
Caleban and Lethos move down the short hall, clearing the front line of troglodytes with a little help from Shalelu's bow and Kasuka's shuriken. Sensing the tide turning against the reptiles, Eirik makes his way towards the stairs as he begins chanting the triumphant final stanzas of the Saebjorn Saga--in which the heroic progenitor of the Linnorm Kings defeats on of the fearsome beasts in single combat.

He's just getting to the good part (if you understand Ulfen) when the set of double doors on the western side of of the upper level burst open and a wall of inky blackness floods in. The darkness rushes across the balcony amid the clatter of sprinting talons, enveloping Shalelu before anyone can act.

@Caleban, Kasuka
The magical darkness is no impediment to your darkvision. Inside the spell, you can make five corbies, one of them bedecked in jewelry and tattered ceremonial robes. The darkness is centered on an item in its hand, a gold medallion inscribed with a twisting rune.

Caleban recognizes the rune as a symbol of the demon lord Pazuzu.

Eirik turns towards the blob, his recitation pausing long enough to shout, "Company above!" In the common tongue.

"And our hero retakes the stage!" Declares the Director--still in winged tengu form--as he step through another dimension door behind Eirik. "I hope you don't mind me bringing out the rest of the cast. The stage seemed bare, and it's nice to get everyone out for the final curtain, don't you agree?" The fiend hisses at Eirik.

The Ulfen bard hides his surprise well, noting even missing a line of the Saga. "I've always thought the fewer bodies on stage, the better. Too many extras distract from the star performers, and that darkness spell plays havoc with the blocking. A novice directing toddlers in a Swallowtail pageant would know better. I'd thought Yamabushi Tengu were as immortal as other oni, so experience can't be the problem. Perhaps you're just slow." He grins, ducking the buzzing weight of the kusarigama.

The reinforcements and appearance of the castle's master reinvigorates the troglodytes. Their leader shoves his subordinate forward, barking at him in draconic to kill Lethos or die in the attempt. The reptile chieftain himself steps up to Caleban, breaking through the half-orc's diving shield with a punishing swing of its morningstar.

@Caleban
8 damage

Kasuka, now stationed on by the east doors, doesn't have to wait long for the flanking trogolodytes. They yank open the portal, ready for a fight.

Map
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee498/Bhaakon/Ballroombattle3.jpg

L should be T for "Troglodytes"

The black outline is the extent of the darkness spell. Only Caleban and Kasuka can see inside.

The Corby cleric is the one marked "N"

ProudGrognard
2013-12-04, 01:27 AM
Caleban
AC 19 HP 12

...grunts and growls as the hit connects solidly. He looks at the troglodyte chief with red, enraged eyes

"That was a fatal mistake... By the grace of Desna, face her justice!"

As the chief maneuvers for the next attack, Caleban sends his axe for the opponent 's exposed flank.

Activating justice judgement
PA vs the chief [roll0] dmg [roll1] bardic song bonuses included

Bad Situation
2013-12-04, 03:48 AM
Kasuka eyes the corbies with disgust, gripping the wakizashi tightly and seethes, at once melding into the shadows before then distractedly strikes out against the birds. Shalelu and Eirik needed his help, and fast.

stack
2013-12-04, 12:20 PM
Lethos spins his blade, laying into the largest lizardman, knowing the fastest way to aid his allies is by ending those enemies in front of him.

Perhaps this one will put up a fight, unlike the weaklings he sent before him.

Lethos has darkvision too, I juggled many alternate racials.

concentration [roll0]
att [roll1] (inc bardsong)
damage [roll2] (inc bardsong)

att [roll3] (inc bardsong)
damage [roll4] (inc bardsong)

Bhaakon
2013-12-05, 12:17 AM
Caleban and and the troglodyte chieftain exchange blows, both drawing blood, but neither succumbing. Still, Caleban feels sure he's gotten the better of the exchange--his armor and spells having blunting the momentum of the lizard-man's morningstar.

@Caleban
5 damage

Lethos's flurry of more precise, less forceful blows leave his opponent hobbled and bleeding. The creature is hardly able to raise its claws in a feeble defense as elf's black blade draws across its throat.

Kasuka's attempt to ambush the second group of troglodytes falls flat. The reptiles are expecting him, and return the slice of whispering shrike six-fold with a mad assault of tooth and claw. It takes all the young man's skill to fend off the attacks with a shallow cut above one eye.

@Kasuka
2 damage

Above, the gloom of the corby priestess's spell is lifted for a split second as a crooked jolt of electricity jumps between her holy symbol and Shalelu. The beleaguered ranger shifts her bow to her off-hand and draws her shortsword, but she's nowhere near as deadly with the blade as her arrows. After a brief exchanged, she's covered in ragged talon gouges and electricity burns.

Eirik doesn't fair much better. The director positively cackles as the sickle-blade of his weapon catches the bard across the belly. It's not deep enough to kill, but Eirik nearly looses his rhythm. "Perhaps some help?" He calls out between lines of the Saga. "Now would be good..."

Map
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee498/Bhaakon/ballroombattle4.jpg

Bad Situation
2013-12-05, 12:31 AM
"Tch!" The fetchling ninja immediately draws back when the lizardmen draw his blood, holding up his wakizashi in a defensive posture while clutching at his brow, wiping the blood from the injury clean before it can drip down far enough to affect his sight. Not wishing to allow them a reprieve from his assault, Kasuka drives in once more to harry the troglodyte marauders and then bounds back a few steps to regain his strategic footing.

Attack (vs T9): [roll0]
-- Move: 5 Foot Step to S10.

Bhaakon
2013-12-05, 12:40 AM
Kasuka is fighting troglodytes, the corbies are tearing into Shalelu up on the balcony.

Just noticed that I forgot to fix the lettering on the map. D'oh.

ProudGrognard
2013-12-05, 02:28 AM
Caleban

"Lethos! Go help the others, I have this."

Caleban dodges and parries frantically as he shouts to Shalelu.

"Come down, jump if you have to. You will be torn to pieces up there!"

Seeing an opening, Caleban brings his axe again to bear.

PA [roll0] dmg [roll1]

Bhaakon
2013-12-05, 02:52 AM
True to his word, Caleban does indeed have the fight in hand. His axe blasts through the injured chieftain's anemic defense, and puts an end to his reign.

K-8 is dead.

ProudGrognard
2013-12-05, 06:34 AM
Caleban

Caleban spits to clear his mouth of the bile and growls.

"Should have stayed in you lair."

He then turns to take stock of the situation. He needs a breather, the damn filth king had a heavy hand.

stack
2013-12-05, 08:12 AM
Lethos is about to strike again when the chieftain falls.

Perhaps, alone, he would have been a worthy opponent.

The director awaits.

Will he prove a challenge?

"Bard, make room."
He turns and bounds up the stairs, sliding around the Ulfen and spinning into his attack.originally posted in wrong thread:

arcane mark, just for fun, holding the charge, moving to E23 and attacking with spellstrike

att [roll0] 28
damage [roll1] 8 rolls include bardsong

Bhaakon
2013-12-06, 12:17 AM
Loosing badly, Shalelu takes the only obvious way out. She jumps the railing, dropping fifteen feet to land gracefully on the marble dance floor in spite of the magical dark. She's hardly alone, though. three of the bird-men make the leap after her, one even managing to land a blow on the way down. Kasuka, busy delivering a flurry of slashes as he circles the nearest troglodyte, barely avoids the tangle of bodies falling from above.

Without the ranger to block her path, the cobry cleric proceeds around the balcony to aid the Director, who has taken a hasty step back out of the reach of Lethos's vengeful blade. "The wound is already already knitting." Eirik whispers. "I told you my alchemist's fire wasn't a waste of gold! We'll need it to keep that monster dead."

The Director isn't about to let them plan, however. "Another star takes the stage, eh? Well now, let us see how you handle the bright lights!" As the corby cleric begins a spell of her own, he adds, "and the roar of the crowd!

The Yamabushi Tengu blows across his taloned hand, lifting a mote of glowing dust that quickly billows into a cloud of blindingly bright haze around Lethos and Eirik. A split second later, the keening roar of the corby's spell hits their eardrums like sledgehammers.

@Lethos
Sound Burst: [roll0] damage and DC 14 Fort save or Stunned for 1 round

Glitterdust: DC 15 Will save or blinded for 5 rounds

Map
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee498/Bhaakon/ballroombattle5.jpg

ProudGrognard
2013-12-06, 12:40 AM
Caleban
AC 19, HP 13

Caleban only wanted a minute to find his bearings and take care of his most obvious wounds. It seems he hardly had it. But he had to take the gamble. His brows again coming together, he silently intones a prayer.

Lady of the Paths, give me your hand in my hour of need. Stray my pain, for me to continue your work.

He then starts advancing at the corbies, while clanging his axe to the floor, to take some of the heat from the others. At the last minute, seeing a nod from Kasuka, he steps to the side.

"Here you stack of draconic feathers! Here!

Shalelu, behind me and go for the priest!"

CLW [roll0] because he only has 7 hps

Then advancing to P7, providing flanking

Bad Situation
2013-12-06, 01:41 AM
Beset on all sides, Kasuka darts to and fro the melee, whipping the Whispering Shrike across several of the monstrous creatures.

Attack #1 (vs S8): [roll0]
Attack #1 (vs Q8): [roll2]
-- Damage: [roll3]
-- Sneak Attack: [roll4]

stack
2013-12-06, 08:16 AM
Lethos stands still, his hands slacking and his blade falling to the floor with an audible clang.

Bhaakon
2013-12-07, 02:54 AM
Eirik is lucky enough to shake off the shrill cacophony, but he catching the cloud of glittering dust right in the face. Unable to see, he retreats a few steps down the stairs. "Lethos? You hear me? Anyone? I can't see a blasted thing!"

The Director cackles as he advances on Lethos, driving the sickle blade of his double weapon into the reeling elf's shoulder. "So...I guess you're not ready for the big time."

@Lethos
8 damage

The melee on the dance floor grows bloodier by the second. Kasuka strikes hard at the corby trapped between him and Caleban, only to find himself sandwiched between troglodytes and bird men. The young man is quick on his feet, but there are simply too many sets of swiping claws to avoid. To make matters worse, the corby cleric targets him with a spell that threatens to send him running.

@Kasuka
12 damage

DC 13 Will save or be frightened (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/conditions#TOC-Frightened) for [roll0] rounds. Otherwise, shaken for 1 round.

Shalelu manages to slip free of the chaos, seeking cover behind Caleban to ply her bow, but the last of the corbies on the balcony (save the cleric) spots her and leaps down, ripping off a chunk of the ranger's scalp in the process.

Map
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee498/Bhaakon/Ballroombattle6.jpg

ProudGrognard
2013-12-07, 03:26 AM
Caleban

This was getting grim. Corbies and troglodytes everywhere and Lethos and Eiric out. Not good.

Caleban makes a decision. Shalelu should be freed first and then, go after the mob around Kasuka. With a snarl, he sends his axe towards the corbie tearing into Shalelu

PA with flanking and bardic [roll0] dmg [roll1]

EDIT: Not good

Bad Situation
2013-12-07, 07:24 AM
Clicking his tongue annoyedly, Kasuka draws himself inward, holding the wakizashi closer to his body as he adjusts his stance for the increased number of enemies. When he'd offered to hold back the enemies, he'd expected one or two of them. "Not the whole damn flock..." he thinks bitterly as he attempts to bite through the defenses of his adversary.

Fighting Defensively (+2 AC): [roll0]
-- Target: Corby (Q8)
Kasuka withdraws from the fight with a standard action.

stack
2013-12-07, 02:29 PM
The blow jars Lethos from his daze. He stoops to retrieve his blade and comes up with a rising slash.Leaving without his sword would be completely out of character. Need to get a weapon cord or locking gauntlet. Bother.

move to get his sword back, standard to attack [roll0]
damage [roll1]

Bhaakon
2013-12-07, 06:33 PM
A creeping darkness seizes Kasuka's mind. The battle was hopeless. You're all going to die here. There's only one sane course of action. He's already leapt free of the melee and run out the double-doors by the time he throws off the magically-induced fear.

Without the ninja there to draw off attention, the corbies and troglodytes swarm Caleban. He manages to cut one of them down (with the aid of Shalelu's bow), but at the cost of several small wounds.

@Caleban
7 damage

Blinded, it's all Eirik can do to continuing his chant and swing his sword about wildly to fend off the corby that charges him. Amazingly, the man lands a blow...but it doesn't stop the battle-crazed corby from tearing a ragged wound in the bard's cheek.

Lethos, sword back in hand, engages in a proper back and forth with the Director. Using a simple feint, the elf creates an opening and drives his blade deep into the yamabushi tengu's gut. But the Director hardly seems to notice. In fact, he advances, further impaling himself, to pound his beak into Lethos's forehead. The elf's vision blurs as the force of the blow snaps his head back.

Lethos gets the distinct impression that the deranged oni left himself open on purpose.

@Lethos
5 damage

The cleric, meanwhile, fishes a pebble from its vestments, passing it over its holy symbol before hurling it at Shalelu. The rock hits the side of the ranger's head with a force completely out of proportion to its size, causing the woman's knees to buckle. Shalelu catches herself before collapsing, but it's clear that she can't take many more hits.

Map
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee498/Bhaakon/ballroombattle7.jpg

ProudGrognard
2013-12-07, 10:08 PM
Caleban
AC 19 HP 6

Caleban watches, deep in melee, as everything goes to hell quite fast. If Shalelu can hold one more moment and Lethos holds one more minute... and if he is not torn to pieces himself.

Caleban swings again his axe at the corby near Shalelu and hopes, really hopes for the best.

Thought about fighting defensively, but not sure it is worth it.
PA [roll0] dmg [roll1]

Yay!

Bad Situation
2013-12-07, 11:30 PM
Finding himself removed from the fight all of a sudden, Kasuka glowers and curses beneath his breath before returning to the fight proper.

Move: Shift to O8.
-- Target: Corby (P8) (I think this is the weakened one. Correct me if I'm wrong)

Bhaakon
2013-12-08, 12:08 AM
Kasuka slides in behind an injured corby, hamstringing the monster with a clean slice, and spiking its neck on Whisper Shrike as it falls.

Q8 is dead

stack
2013-12-08, 01:45 PM
Outmatched already?

By this filthy bird?

You are weak.

Unworthy.
Pass the blade to one deserving.

No. I will not fail.
The elf's blade spins again, spell and stroke blending is a blur of motion. concentration [roll0]
att [roll1] (includes bard song)
damage [roll2]

att [roll3] (includes bard song)
damage [roll4]

Bhaakon
2013-12-08, 06:54 PM
With Kasuka rejoining the fight, Caleban can afford to focus on just one opponent again. He picks the corby on his left, planting his axe in the bird-man's kidney. With the monster thus distracted, the badly injured Shalelu backs off a step and fires a pair of arrows into its heart.

But the troglodytes keep coming, spliting around the half-orc to attack from both sides. And the cleric on the balcony--shrieking madly at the fall of two ore of her bodyguards--hurls a divinely imbued stone that smashes into the back of Caleban's skull like an anvil. The bloody greataxe slides free of nerveless fingers as the inquisitor's world goes black

@Caleban
8 damage, unconscious, roll stabilization.

Up on the balcony, Lethos again draws the Director's blood, and, again, the oni seems not to care at all about his wound. He just charges in madly, a tempest of crimson blades, spinning weights, and snapping beaks. Lethos does his best to weather the storm, but it's impossible to hold back attacks from so many unconventional angles. The sickle-blade slides through his defense, slicing open his thigh.

@Lethos
5 damage

Meanwhile, Eirik's chant finally falters. Not because of the pain from the nearby corby's continued assault on the blinded bard, but because he's reached the end of the Saga.

Map
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee498/Bhaakon/ballroombattle8.jpg

Bad Situation
2013-12-08, 07:17 PM
Kasuka breathes heavily, only barely cognizant of the others battling on around him when the larger than life half-orc finally falls to the ground. His eyes widen but then narrow dangerously as his training kicks in again, surrendering himself once more to his instinct. Moving so fast as to blur the shadows dancing about his form, the fetchling ninja throws himself in-between Shalelu and the troglodytes and with a wild, unchecked flourish he careens the Whispering Shrike at the lizardman he's injured only moments previous. "Never leave a job unfinished."

Still seething he manages to spit out, "Shalelu, leave this one to me. Break off from this engagement and help Eirik or Lethos."

Move: Five Foot Step to O7.
-- Target: Weakened Troglodyte (P8)

Bhaakon
2013-12-08, 07:31 PM
P8 is dead

ProudGrognard
2013-12-09, 01:05 AM
Caleban

As the corby falls, Caleban growls

"And stay down!"

Spinning, he is about to help Kasuka when a rock of all things crashes with his skull.

"Wha..."

He falls, armor clanging.

Stabilization Perception [roll0]

Eirik can always cone down and heal, yes? The wand is on me.

stack
2013-12-09, 12:17 PM
Mocking laughter fills Lethos's mind as he backs down the steps, keeping his guard high.withdraw to N-10

Bhaakon
2013-12-10, 03:12 AM
Kasuka guts the badly injured troglodyte, deftly avoiding another of the cleric's throne stones as he helps Eirik grope his way to Caleban's side. But the distraction costs the fetchling, as the remaining troglodyte catches him across the jaw with handful of filthy claws

@Kasuka
3 damage

Shalelu does her best to cover Eirik as he casts, but the corby tenaciously clings to consciousness despite the pair of arrows now sprouting form its midsection. The bird man rakes Eirik's back with its talons, adding yet more blood to the young man's crimson-stained outfit.

"You see there," The wan-faced Ulfen boasts as Caleban's eyes flutter open, "still on my feet while you're half-dead on the floor. Sure, your enormous axe is impressive, but big men have no stamina."

@Caleban
heal 5 HP

The Director declines to pursue Lethos as the elf retreats down the stairs, instead calling on his innate reserve of magical power to summon up a bolt of flame. The burning ray leaps from the oni's hands to burn a neat hole in the bannister where Lethos's arm his been a split second before.

"Oh-ho, the understudy may not be useless after all, but how long can he avoid my blistering reviews?" He taunts, already lining up for a second blast.

Map
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee498/Bhaakon/Ballroombattle9.jpg

White = prone

Bad Situation
2013-12-10, 03:54 AM
Kasuka reels back from the blow but manages to regain his defensive posture while deflecting the creature's follow-up attacks. Even as he's defending himself however, the shadow man blanches as he draws back in to assault the corby, having heard the Director's terrible play on words. "Ugh, now he's making puns. With my luck he'll probably start singing about himself before we're all through with this."

Move: Five Foot Step to P8.

Bhaakon
2013-12-10, 04:05 AM
Kasuka slips in behind the last remaining corby on the dance floor, driving Whispering Shrike in the the hollow of its neck before it even realizes the fetchling is there. The thing falls to the ground like a sack of butchered meat, unable even to gasp for breath.

P8 is dead

ProudGrognard
2013-12-10, 04:17 AM
Caleban
AC 19, HP 3

Caleban comes to his senses with a groan. He notices Eirik hovering over him.

"That is a shame I will carry to the end of my life. An Ulfen peacock standing while I fell.

Hang in there Eirik. And keep using the wand. I will deal with the rest."

As if to make his point, Caleban spins and buries his axe at the troglodyte still standing. He then spits blood and growls at the Director, mincing words he has heard from Eiric.

"OK you talentless hack. Your play is uninspired and your performance mediocre. Come down here and I will show you true art."

PA at at the trog still standing [roll0] dmg [roll1]

stack
2013-12-10, 08:31 AM
The Corbie felled before he can strike, Lethos instead shelters in the nearby doorway, shielding himself with his blade as well as the stone. "When the opportunity arises, some aid would not go amiss, though do not pass up a killing blow."

Run weakling.

Silence.5' to M9, total defense. Should have at least partial cover given the angle of the steps and the edge of the doorway.

Bhaakon
2013-12-10, 09:23 PM
Lethos does his best to shield himself with his slim sabre and the delicate bannister of the stairway, but the Director isn't so cavalier with his magic this time around. He takes the considerable effort he'd usually use to make a terrible pun and instead bends it towards aiming the burning bolts...which hits Lethos squarely in the chest.

@Lethos
Even with complete defense and cover, touch attack are touch attacks...sorry.

9 damage

-8 HP, roll stablization

The cleric follows suit with an elemental bolt of her own, but the distance is greater and her aim somewhat inferior to her master. The arc of electricty scorches the marble at Kasuka's feet.

Eirik, meanwhile, waits to accept the wand from Caleban, preparing to use it as soon as the half-orc hands it over. "Sounds like you've shut the great squawking chicken up, Cal." He says. "Uh, seriously, though, I don't think it's wise to challenge him to a dance-off. You were fairly drunk that night, and, well, the cheering was because your trousers kept slipping as you staggered about..."

Map
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee498/Bhaakon/ballroombattle10.jpg

stack
2013-12-10, 10:02 PM
That's what you get for running.

The elf falls gracelessly into a heap on the floor.

ProudGrognard
2013-12-11, 01:51 AM
Caleban
HP 10 AC 19

"You Ulfen canary, why don' you go help Lethos? I think we must all move to cover."

Putting his own advice in effect, Caleban calls Desna's healing blessing to himself and moves towards Lethos.

CLW to himself [roll0]
Fast Healing Judgement
Move to Lethos, to take cover. Hopefully, Eirik will follow and heal him. Next turn, we move him in and heal him again.

Bad Situation
2013-12-14, 10:24 PM
With the fodder taken care of, the ninja beats a quick retreat and stands guard at the door, gesturing for Shalelu and Eirik to quickly follow suit as he guards their flanks.

Shift to M9 and use a Total Defense action.

Bhaakon
2013-12-15, 03:24 AM
Kasuka leaps to cover Eirik as he drags Lethos clear of the melee, avoiding another of the cleric's electrical bolts in the process. Shalelu does he best to keep cleric suppressed, but she's essentially firing blind into the center of the sphere of darkness. Only one of her arrows hits, and that a glancing blow.

The Director seems confident with Lethos out of the fight, and can't help returning the Caleban's earlier remark. "So, another loud-mouthed extra steps forward to claim the lead? You're a hundred years too early to unseat me, child. Look at you, knees wobbling, barely able to support the weight of your inflated sense of self-importance. Pathetic"

He gestures derisively at the half-orc's supposedly weak knees, releasing a bolt of crackling blackness in the process. The spell hits Caleban solidly, stealing the very strength from his limbs.

@Caleban
[roll0] Strength penalty for 5 rounds, DC 14 Fort save for half.

Map
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee498/Bhaakon/ballroombattle11.jpg

ProudGrognard
2013-12-15, 10:19 AM
Caleban

Caleban groans as the wave of darkness hits him. He gnashes his teeth and rides the eldrich attack. He feels his strength sapping, but not as much as it would. It seems to be working. How many more such spells could he have?

" That was it? That was your best performance? Mediocre, as ever. And asmost untalented people, you delegate your works and do not come near the audience.

Another pathetic talentless hack."

stack
2013-12-17, 07:57 AM
Lethos reclaims his blade and rises unsteadily to his feet. He gives the Ulfen a silent nods of thanks as he readies himself.

Bad Situation
2013-12-18, 12:51 AM
Kasuka barely manages to hold back a sigh. Everyone seemed to think themselves some manner of theatrical hero. It was silly. As far as he was concerned, actually rising to the tengu's bait was more damning than simply letting the deranged bird prattle on about his strange and preposterous view of the world. They weren't heroes on some ultimate quest and the Director wasn't some grandstanding villain threatening the world as they knew it. What it really boiled down to was that they had a job to do and the tengu stagefreak was getting in their way of accomplishing it.

Still silent and grim faced, the ninja slides in front of Caleban and tests his own steel against the chain-wielding bird. The sooner they were done here, the better.

Move: Five foot step to N10.

Bhaakon
2013-12-18, 01:50 AM
Kasuka leads with his blade, slipping it deep into the manic oni's gut. But if he was expecting the Yamabushi Tengu to drop his puckish act, he was mistaken. "Ah, the shadowy, brooding type. A classic! Far more interesting than the cringing loudmouth. At least one of you has the backbone to meet his fate head on." Squawks the feathered outsider, dismissing Caleban with a waive. He turns his full attention to Kasuka. "Let's see if we can put a crack in that dour facade." He surreptitiously plucks a feather from his arm and points it at the fetchling.

@Kasuka
Hideous Laughter (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/h/hideous-laughter). DC 11 Will save, including the bonus for different creature type.

The cleric on the balcony takes another arrow, this one burying deep into her shoulder. She snarls and leaps down to the dance floor, where her form blurs and bulges. Where one corby landed a moment before, now two identical figures stand in bloody vestments, sword in hand.

It's a mirror image-like domain power, BTW. It's still just one cleric.

Away from the battle, Eirik works furiously with the wand, pumping a pair of charges into Lethos.

[roll0]

figured I'd have Eirik act first this round, so Lethos can go.

Map
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee498/Bhaakon/ballroombattle12.jpg

ProudGrognard
2013-12-18, 02:10 AM
Caleban
HP 11 AC 19

Trusting to Shalelu and Lethos to take care of the cleric, Caleban runs up the stairs to the crazy oni. As he gets near, he swings his axe with all the might of his still strong arms.

PA charge [roll0] dmg [roll1]

May I ask how is this thing casting without provoking? Or does he 5ft step and it is not described?

"Now that we are personal, up and close, do the magic thing. See how good it does you."

stack
2013-12-18, 11:02 AM
His strength returning, Lethos charges the cleric, blade high, seeking to make compensation for his failure.on phone, so dice are a pain. Minimal flavor until I get a keyboard

Charge the cleric After Shalelu attacks, hopefully breaking the mirror image

[roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Bhaakon
2013-12-19, 12:28 AM
Lethos's blade eagerly leaps for the corby's throat, parting the flesh of the cleric's gullet so smoothly that it's like there's nothing there...because there isn't. The blade's touch dispels the illusory copy, leaving the elf open to a counter from the very real corby now standing on his open flank.

Fortunately, Shalelu's latest fusillade hits the corby full-force just as she's preparing to strike. Not only does she miss, she takes two more shafts in the bargain.

There's no such reprieve for Caleban. His hasty charge up the stairs ends with a lass-second stumble as one of the treads--rotted out by a slow drip from the leaky roof twenty feet above--finally caves. The half-orc catches himself before the stumble turns into a full fledged fall, but it spoils his attack, and, worse, leaves him wide open for The Director's response.

The weighted chain slams down on the back of the Desnan's skull with the wet thud, followed quickly by the sickle-end of the oni's exotic weapon slicing across the half-orc's exposed back. At least you're all spared another unfortunate pun from The Director, but only because he's too busy using his sharp beak to savage Caleban's shoulder.

@Caleban
12 damage, back to -1. Judgements don't work while you're unconscious, so you'll have to roll stabilization.

Deep in the throes of The Director's spell, all Kasuka can do is fall to the ground while laughing maniacally.

@Kasuka
DC 11 Will save to end Hideous Laughter prematurely

Map
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee498/Bhaakon/ballroombattle13.jpg

stack
2013-12-19, 08:06 AM
Lethos continues his follow-through smoothly, snapping back into another attack. spell combat concentration [roll0]
att [roll1]
damage [roll2]

att [roll3]
damage [roll4]

The sword is snarkier than originally intended. I guess there's not much else it can do.

Missed? There's a surprise.

Try to stay standing this time.

Not that your 'friends' are much better.

Bhaakon
2013-12-19, 07:11 PM
Lethos continues his assault, but the corby proves unusually wily. She feints twice with her sword, interrupting his casting, before catching him across the brow with the talons of her off-hand. The elf's counter falls short of the mark as blood from the wound clouds his vision.

@Lethos
3 damage

With the cleric now occupied, Shalelu shifts to the base of the stairs and attempts to distract The Director as Eirik rushes forward with the healing wand.

"Get up, you lazy oaf," mutters the Ulfen as the magic does its work on Caleban's wounds. "Can't you just cut his head off with that axe of yours? You're good at that sort of thing. If it helps, just pretend that overgrown bird is one of those bawdy strains you try to sing when you're in the cups. You'll butcher him in no time."

@Caleban
heal [roll0]

Fortunately for Caleban, Shalelu's distraction works. The arrow she plants in The Director's gut draws away his attention, allowing Eirik to complete his work unmolested.

Unfortunately for Shalelu, her distraction works. The annoyed Oni swats at her as if he were brushing off a gnat, but the dismissive gesture unleashes a bolt of flame that catches the ranger square in the chest. Battered and burnt, the elf crumples to the floor.

While he finds nothing funny in the situation, Kasuka fills the ballroom with increasingly hoarse laughter.

Map
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee498/Bhaakon/ballroombattle14.jpg

Black = unconscious/dying
White = prone/laughing
Purple = prone

ProudGrognard
2013-12-20, 03:33 AM
Caleban
AC 19, HP 4

Barely holding his bleeding guts together and his head still ringing, Caleban stands again in front of the director, risking his attack. There was nothing else to do, everyone else was either down or engaged.

"OK, one more time, this time with feeling!"

And the axe comes swinging again.

PA [roll0] dmg [roll1]

EDIT: How about a break, dice gods? Hmm?

stack
2013-12-20, 08:06 AM
"I am not finished with you yet." His voice is strange, barely his own as he continues attacking.concentration [roll0]
att [roll1]
damage [roll2]

att [roll3]
damage [roll4]

Bhaakon
2013-12-20, 08:05 PM
The Director cackles as Shalelu falls, quite pleased with himself. "I can't wait until the next performance, with all these new extras. They're rough, but I think I can mold one or two into stars. Or at least passable extras. What do you think, Nevakali?" He sqwuaks at the cleric, "I believe the half-orc will make a rousing buffon!"

"Oh, that's right, you can't speak the common tongue."

The oni is so distracted that he doesn't notice that Caleban has struggled back to his feet until the inquisitor's ill-aimed axe digs into a mahogany stair tread.

"Hmm. I think I'm right. Resiliency is important in a buffoon, to take all those blows to the head and nethers." He mutters, too busy talking with himself to bother countering.

The cleric, for her part, is too busy to bother responding even if she could speak Taldane. She's fighting a loosing battle against

Eirik, meanwhile, makes good use of the Director's monologue to use bring the wand to bear on the unconscious Shalelu. The item works its magic, and the elf springs to her feat, drawing her own wand as she closes on Caleban.

Map
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee498/Bhaakon/ballroombattle15.jpg

ProudGrognard
2013-12-21, 02:44 AM
Caleban
AC 19 HP 5

Caleban was ready to retort but his wounds made him mistep again. His axe hits the steps and almost rings away from his hand. He just varely manages to bring it back under control.

PA [roll0] dmg [roll1]

EDIT: But of course... And the guy has fast healing right? So we will have to fight him full health in a bit.

stack
2013-12-21, 06:52 PM
Lethos continues to lay into the cleric.concentration [roll0]
att [roll1]
damage [roll2]

att [roll3]
damage [roll4]

Bhaakon
2013-12-21, 08:01 PM
Lethos spins and slashes, slicing the badly wounded cleric a half-dozen times before she can respond. It finally too much for the corby, she collapses on the dance floor, her own expanding pool of blood adding to the decades-old stain in the marble.

Hearing his last ally's death rattle has a sobering effect on the Director. He takes the fight seriously for once, bringing blade and beak to bear against Caleban. It's enough to send the half-orc sprialling back into the foggy black of unconciousness, at least for the few seconds it take Eirik and Shalelu to work their wands.

@Caleban
8 damage, 10 healing from CLW, 1 from judgement

You're briefly unconscious and fall prone, but you're brought back in time to take your turn.

Map
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee498/Bhaakon/ballroombattle16.jpg

stack
2013-12-21, 10:15 PM
Lethos flicks the blood from the end of his blade, quickly assessing the situation. The stairs are tight, but if he moved fast he could flank their remaining foe, surrounding his and cutting off his escape...but would that take to much time? He crosses over to Shalelu. "Give me your bow. You need to keep healing."if she does, and he probably doesn't have enough actions to take the weapon, move, and shoot, but just in case
(composite longbow +1 w/ +1 str, right?)
[roll0]
damage [roll1]

ProudGrognard
2013-12-22, 02:17 AM
Caleban

Caleban once again pays for his mistake with a ringing blow that sends him pummeling to unconsciousness, but again he is brought back. There is no anger any more, just deadly deadly wrath.

PA [roll0] dmg [roll1]

EDIT: I hope that hurt

Bhaakon
2013-12-22, 03:11 AM
Lethos flips his sabre into its sheath and slides behind Shalelu, taking the second elf's bow in the process. Given how much pride she has in the weapon, she must truly be desperate to give it up without complaint. Or maybe she's too busy healing Caleban to pay attention to much else.

@Lethos
The attack is a miss anyway, so I just had you sheath your sword instead, just in case you guys end up booking. Hope that's not a problem

Caleban Force his way back to his feet once more, taking another crack across the skull from the weighted end of the Director's kusarigama in the process. But the pain is worth it, this time. His axe bites deep, catching the oni in the abdomen and not stopping until it bites bone.

This time the Director winces in pain, his regeneration unable to keep up with the mounting damage. "What a minute..." he sputters between blood-flecked breathes, "...only the director can call for a cut."

Eirik, meanwhile, slips in behind Caleban on the stairs, wand in one hand, alchemist's fire appearing in the other. The Director's eyes widen a hair at the slim vial of flaming death.

Map
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee498/Bhaakon/ballroombattle17.jpg

ProudGrognard
2013-12-22, 03:19 AM
Caleban
AC 19, HP 21

Caleban has no time for banter. Now that the time is near, his face is stuck in a mask of cold determination. His eyes promise death.

Once more, with feeling
[roll0] dmg [roll1]

EDIT: At last. Now Shalelu can get back into action, and Lethos too. Come join the party!

stack
2013-12-22, 08:05 PM
Lethos draws, but has difficulty finding on opening through the cover provided by his allies. [roll0]
damage [roll1]

Can't believe they didn't spring the 100 GP to get mighty +1 for the bow!

Ranged combat without paying the appropriate feat taxes is rough.

Bad Situation
2013-12-25, 09:53 AM
Feeling the magic subside, Kasuka slowly picks himself up, clutching at the wall in order to brace himself. Just great, the fight was finally in their favor but the two combatants were locked on the stairwell with each other. As he climbs to his feet, the ninja looks around for something to do. Was there no other way up?

Can I try climbing up to the next level?

Bhaakon
2013-12-26, 02:37 AM
Caleban continues to chop at the Director, working the oni over like a lumberjack felling a mature hardwood. The bird man gives as good as he gets, though, punching the bladed half of his weapon into the Desnan's armored gut with trio of rapid jabs. Eirik and Shalelu desperately work their wands to keep the half-orc on his feet long enough to win the war of attrition

@Caleban
20 damage (x3 crit, ouch), then [roll0] CLW and +1 fast healing from judgement

Lethos can hardly get a shot off with the two bloodied combatants locked in melee, and the arrow he does launch very nearly winds up in the back of Caleban's knee.

If that's the best you can manage, hand it back! Shalelu snaps in frustration, reaching for the weapon with her free hand.

Kasuka, meanwhile, grabs the nearest support column and shimmies up, his practiced digits easily finding holds in the stone's spiral fluting. With a final push he grabs the moth-eating bunting and pushes off, using the fabric to flip smoothly over the delicate railing and land on the balcony.

Map
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee498/Bhaakon/ballroombattle18.jpg

ProudGrognard
2013-12-26, 03:07 AM
Caleban
HP17 AC19

Caleban is in a word of pain, losing consciousness and then regaining it in seconds, as blades and healing magic pass through his body. There was nothing else not but his axe, whistling through the air.

PA [roll0] dmg [roll1]

Bad Situation
2013-12-26, 05:47 PM
Throat still sore and body still exhausted from the effects of the Hideous Laughter, Kasuka creeps along the shadows of the balcony, only barely masking the strain of his breath. His red eyes narrow at he memory, cast aside from the fray as though he were nothing. The half-orc devotee to Desna, Caleban his name was, seemed to have the situation well in hand but it was like his Uncle used to say.

A true shinobi did not deal in half-measures.

Whether he was too stupid to quit or simply angry that he'd been taken out of the fight so easily he wasn't so sure but right now they needed the silence the damnable Director before the thing could slip out from under their grasp a second time. Seething and positively radiating with his intent to kill, the ninja descends upon the tengu's exposed flank

Move: Not sure if I'm reading the map correctly but I think can shift enough to get into range? I may also get Higher Ground bonus, if so, add +1 to my attack roll.

Bhaakon
2013-12-26, 08:42 PM
With the momentum of battle finally shifting, there's no stopping Caleban. The half-orc is a dervish of deadly glares and biting axe head, chapping chunk after chunk from the Director. With one last blow he nearly severs a drumstick, causing the haughty bird to crumple into a heap at the top of the stairs.

"Th...the villians victorious? ...What...what a twist..." He spits out before Kasuka slips in to open his throat with Whispering Shrike

Eirik pushes his way past Caleban, slim vials of alchemist's fire in each hand. "Step back, Kasuka! We must burn the beast quickly, or it will heal itself and rise again!" He's right. The terrible wounds from Caleban's axe are already knitting, and the bleeding from the final throat slash--which should be positively gushing--has died to a trickle.

Eirik hurls the fiery grenades almost before the fetchling is clear, so eager is he to prevent the Director from magically escaping once more. The chemical mixture does its work, bursting into flame upon exposure to the air and soaking in to the Director's plumage. He rolls and spasms briefly--whether it's unconscious reflex or a vain attempt to smother the flames can't be said--then falls still with a hissing death rattle.

From somewhere in the castle, the keening shriek of a great bird of prey rings out.

XP
1950 each

Loot
From the Director:
Kusarigama
This +1 Kursarigama glows with conjuration magic, evidence of its peculiar ability. Once per day the weilder way whirl the weighted chain of the weapon over his head to summon a giants wasp. The insect appears above the wielder's head and follows his commands for as long as he continues to whirl the chain (a standard action) or 5 round have passed. After 5 round (or whenever the weilder ceases whirling the chain) the wasp disappears. --12,392 gp value
5 large, color-matching pearls (500 gp total)
Darkwood and silve disc ingraved with a pitcture of Brinewall castle under the noonday sun (faint transmutation aura, no obvious effects)
Slightly singed copy of the Director's masterpiece (good for kindling)

Corby Cleric
1x MW longsword
2x scrolls
scrolls of Cure Moderate Wounds
1x scrolls Scroll of Dispel Magic
Wand
Wand of Inflict Moderate Wounds, 12 charges remaining
50 gp in assorted coins

Troglodyte Chief
Cold iron morningstar
+1 Cold iron morningstar

ProudGrognard
2013-12-27, 01:46 AM
Caleban

For a moment after the Director falls, Caleban just stares. He then, with unusual savagery, starts to kick his remains.

"And tell Hell we send you, you freak!"

He then composes himself and looks around.

"How about we gather things up and go to rest somewhere? I do not think we have been so close to having out backsides given to us in a platter before.

I suggest, either a room we can fortify here or the cemetery a few miles down the road."

Bad Situation
2013-12-27, 04:34 PM
Not content with the fiery destruction of the tengu, Kasuka ensures that he finishes the job by placing his boot on the bird man's throat and presses down hard in order to quiet his awful shrieks. When Caleban brings up the call for a a rest the pale young man opens his mouth to protest, looking back at the stairs he knew the troglodytes had streamed in through only moments prior but eventually nods his assent.

Bhaakon
2013-12-28, 06:22 AM
Eirik watches Kasuka stomp on the Director's throat, not daring to calm himself before he was sure that the crazed oni was dead. The second ticks on into a minute, then two, with no further signs of life from the charred corpse. Finally convinced, the Ulfen lets out a heavy sigh that grows into a hearty laugh.

"I think I'll be writing a song about this one. No, make that a play. I believe I know a troupe of tengu players in Magnimar who would make the perfect antagonists. I'd be playing myself, of course, and I think we'd need a troll for Caleban's part. I pulled you out of Pharasma's queue four, or was it five times, Cal? You must have disappointed a whole host of Valkyries with all that back and forth." He rambles, all the while stripping the late Director of his valuables.

Shalelu bruskly relieves Lethos of her bow, giving him a look, halfway between amusement and scorn, that amply communicates her opinion of his archery skills.

Once the grim chore of looting the bodies is completed, there's sort of unspoken agreement as to your next move. You're all to injured and too exhausted to continue, regardless of Ameiko's condition. Even the stubborn Shalelu bows her head and trudges back out of the castle without complaint.

There's no resistance as you clear the gates, and no pursuit. It's hard to say what portion of the castle's occupants you've put to the sword this day, but it's clearly enough to throw them in disarray. You don't even see another living being until Spivey greets you at the cemetery gates.

"Oh, you're all still alive? Whole I see, if not well. Good. Very good! I could hear some of the cries of battle, and that terrible crash, and I'd feared the worst. Especially after your friend stumbled back, alone, and cut to ribbons, and full of poison. He's sleeping now, so you know. I healed what I could, but he'll have to fight off the venom himself for now. I did not prepare spells for that, I'm sorry to say. I will in the morning, but even then...it will take many casting." Spivey wrings her little hands, distressed that she could not do enough for Theodoric.

"But I blather while you stand there bleeding. Come in close, and feel the blessings of the Starsong." She raises one of her star knives--tiny as a toy, but sharp as a razor. A purple glow suffuses the weapon, pulsing out repeatedly until the healing energy has healed all your wounds.

She has 8 channels to use. I'll roll them all, and strike them off until you're all healed (or not. Shalelu is 48 HP down).

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]

7 of her 8 daily channels it is

ProudGrognard
2013-12-28, 08:32 AM
Caleban

Caleban assists with the task of looting, quite tired to say anything. Only Eirik 's banter seems to spark his spirit.

"There are no Valkyries for the followers of the Lady of the Stars, you insolent curr. Only blessed silence and the music of the spheres, and this will be a welcome respire after your company. As for your play, watch and see how even the troll will upstage you, you Ulfen peacock."

When they at last arrive at Spivey' s abode, caleban bows deeply and makes the sign of the Lady.

"Go with the Stars, Spivey. We need your hospitality. Many things happened but my friend Eirik will be better at telling them. I hope you do not mind if we stay here for tonight and leave again tomorrow in the morning. There is still much to be done."

stack
2013-12-28, 10:12 PM
Lethos hands the bow back eagerly. "It has been some time since I have used such a weapon. I shall leave such matters to those better practiced."

He draws his blade again, carefully cleaning it this time.
You sheathed me in battle!

And for what?

To embarrass yourself?

He shoves the blade back into its scabbard as he feels it deliberately silence itself. Have any of your wielder's survived your advice?

Back at the graveyard, he speaks to the more traditionally sapient. "That battle was too close. We did well to come through victorious, but it was a close matter indeed. In our haste to aid our friend we advanced when we needed to rest and very nearly perished for our foolishness. We may not survive another such mistake and our deaths would avail her naught."

Later, he approaches Shalelu privately, bowing. "I had not seen you fight before today. Many speak words or have them spoken of them, but no deeds. I have seen your deeds. You are a worthy ally and I am glad you are with us."considering switching from rivalry to friendship, not sure yet, but it would be out of character to antagonize her right now

Bhaakon
2013-12-31, 12:35 AM
Taking his cue from Caleban, Eirik gives Spivey a more detailed account. For once, he doesn't have to embellish to make the story more exciting.

Well, not much.

Close as you are to to the castle, you dare not start a fire. At least the weather is calm, and the trees and mausoleum offer shelter should the wind kick up. All you can do is hunker down, keep a weary watch, and hope that whatever remains in the keep is too fearful or distracted to reconnoiter the surrounding land.

Near midnight, as the rest of the group sleeps, Lethos finds Shalelu taking her turn at the cemetery gate. Her face never stops scanning the Brinewall ramparts, barely visible in the light of the crescent moon, but her voice betrays a hint of surprise at his compliment. "Your swordsmanship has much improved--or Sandru was understating your talents. Perhaps some of each." She replies awkwardly. "Just keep away from the bow. Your future is clearly with the blade."

A subtle glimmer from the castle catches your eyes as she finishes speaking. It slowly builds to an orange glow, back-lighting the crenelations and casting flickering, monstrous shadows on the higher walls of the inner keep. The smoke billowing up from the fire drifts down over the abandoned town, bearing the combined stench of troglodyte and burning flesh.

The flames have died by sunup, but the malodorous haze persists.

ProudGrognard
2013-12-31, 01:56 AM
Caleban

Caleban is up by sunup, looking much the better. He actually had the last watch, which enables him to pray in silence, under the fading starry night.

Lady of the Paths, give me strength to clear the way for you. Give me your blessing, to reclaim the darkness.

When the others are uo, he points to the castle.

"Someone there did not like what we left behind. Perhaps we should ne going back and finishing the job?"

stack
2014-01-01, 02:23 PM
"The merchant only saw me fight when too drunk to stand. Such will not be seen again."

Later, replying to Caleban, "We were to return anyhow, though I had hoped there would be few to care about the result of our previous visit. Someone more civilized as well, to take the time to do such things. We must be on our guard."

Bhaakon
2014-01-02, 06:32 AM
Caleban, Lethos, Kasuka

The clatter of boot on cobble echos through the cool morning air, immediately silencing Caleban and Lethos's conversation. An arrow appear in Shalelu's hand like magic, and she points it along the right branch of the road running past the cemetery gate--the opposite direction of the castle.

The ranger tilts her head back towards one of the many headstones dotting the graveyard, many conveniently sized to hide a crouching elf, half-orc, or fetchling. Lay an ambush? Is the obvious, unspoken question.

=============================================

Za'an, Jayn

Barely out of Crying Leaf, and already your world tour has taken a turn for the interesting. And disturbing, but the former so often involves the later that it's almost not worth mentioning. Except when it's personal, like finding a good friend of Jayn's slowly losing ground in some kind of mental battle with an insane possessing spirit.

Both offered their aid, of course, but their spells were no more effective than Koya's. They could keep Ameiko's body healthy, and more or less calm, but the magic necessary to help her on the psychic plane was beyond any of them. So they waited with the others for Shalelu and her search party to come back from Brinewall with answers.

Then the thrashing and yelling began again. Just an hour before dawn, Ameiko--or the other thing within her--sat up and raises her arms, shrieking exultantly, "THE CUCKOO LIES DEAD!" She immediately collapsed back into her cot and curled into a ball. "Now silence seeks blood. One enemy fallen, another in its place." This last sentence she repeats, again and again, until Jayn hits her with a slumbering hex. Koya makes it stick by forcing a sleeping draught down Ameiko's throat.

"That's it." Koya pronounces, once she's sure that Ameiko is calm again. "We cannot wait for Shalelu and the others indefinitely, and all our efforts here are merely treading water. Someone will have to go and find them. Either to help them complete the search more quickly, or...No. To help them complete the search." The every one of the fortuneteller's six decades is evidenced in her deeply lined face and slumped posture. Anyone who knew her well would be shocked at how old she looks.

And so, just two hours later, the twins emerge from the forest and onto a overgrown cobbled road overlooking the ruined town of Brinewall.

ProudGrognard
2014-01-02, 06:45 AM
Caleban

Caleban frowns for a minute. An ambush would be good, if these were hostiles. But if they were travelers, they needed to be warned. Desna is the lady of the Paths, after all.

Caleban points at himself and then the middle of the road. He points at the others and at the hiding places. His meaning is clear.

I will greet them. The rest hide and be ready.

If noone objects, he will go and stand in the middle of the road, his hands resting on his axe, ready to greet those who come, one way or another. He picks a spot where he ill be in plain sight to those in hiding, close enough to charge, if need be.

stack
2014-01-02, 08:58 AM
Lethos gives a nod, then slides into position, just out of sight, near where Caleban stands, blade appearing in hand.

Starbin
2014-01-06, 04:00 PM
Za'an walked next to his sister in silence. He had tried to make polite conversation earlier, but it quickly ended in a series of bitings comments and waspish insults. Instead, they slipped into an awkward quiet, that led to an unspoken solitude, and finally settled into an oppressive silence. For hours, this continued, neither one of the twins willing to speak first.

Za'an used the time to ponder their task - seek out the heroes who had been sent forth with Shelalu. It was their seeming failure to succeed that had pushed Koya's hand to send he and his sister to find out what had happened. Perhaps they had been killed; or perhaps they had simply quit. He didn't really care about their fate; he was concerned that Shelalu was okay - old friends were hard to keep, and he'd rather not lose one of the few sources of good memories from his youth.

When they came upon the ruins of Brinewall, he sighed, staring at the city for a few minutes. Eventually, he glanced back at his sister, and realized she was going to make him break the verbal truce first. Girding himself, he spoke; expecting an argument, he led aggressively, watching her carefully for signs of physical violence, should she still be drunk.

"So, what now, dear sister? Perhaps some more of your superstitious ministrations to read bird feathers or tea leaves? Or should I have said menstruations, given your scintillatingly pleasant social graces?"

Bad Situation
2014-01-06, 11:27 PM
The ninja nods as well, stepping back and away from the orc and the road, effectively erasing his presence amidst the dense brush. The Whispering Shrike doesn't make a sound as Kasuka eases it out of its sheathe, ready to take a life at a moment's notice.

Morbis Meh
2014-01-07, 02:49 PM
Jayn did not want to believe it but everything she had learned was causing her mind to scream at her for ignoring the omens. Za'an would turn his nose at it but nature spoke of events to come just as often as his goddess did and ignorance was certainly no excuse to mock it. The trip had been blissfully silent, her brother attempted to speak but Jayn really just wanted time to ponder their current situation and decipher what she had noticed so she said a couple of snappy comments to bait him and like magic he went into a broody silence.

Walking into what had Ameiko had become was slowly breaking what little heart Jayn had left, her brother didn't understand it of course but Ameiko had become a surrogate sister since Tara had passed. Her lack of knowledge of her dear friends affliction vexed her to no end and she wanted Za'an to keep his mouth shut while she obsessed over the puzzle. Truth be told she wanted to be in a drunken stupor but she had stayed her hand, she needed to be at full mental capacity for this. Za'an thought otherwise but that was only due to her swishing a mouthful of liquor around her mouth to give the appearance of inebriation.

The witch was 100% completely oblivious of her surroundings, to be honest her body was on auto-pilot following after her brother so when he broke the silence it gave her a bit of a jolt. "Hmmm? What nonsense are you rambling on about again? Just because you are blind to the signs doesn't make them any less real than you tuning into your HOLY HOTLINE with oversized hot air harlot. Why don't you go over there and do some of your 'faith healing' while leaving people who actually have an inkling of what they are doing to do proper work. As for my monthly, I can assure you that it is the wrong time in the cycle but since you are so concerned about its progress I will dutifully notify you of its arrival." Scowling she looks out at the ruins and is a bit surprised "Oh look ruins! We should find an adequate place to retire to for the evening then in the morning explore them properly. Who knows what tidbits of knowledge you can find tucked away within the ruined stones but I suppose with your neck firmly positioned skyward prevents one from looking at the ground." A smug smile forms on her delicate lips.

Starbin
2014-01-07, 06:24 PM
Za'an sighed, knowing he had baited his sister, but still not particularly pleased with the results. He tensed as she berated his patron again, but it had become the norm in dealing with her. Looking back at the path, he smirked slightly to himself.

"Well, my apologies, dear sister, for looking skyward while you root about in the dirt like some rutting beast. However, for all my stargazing tendancies, I was still observant enough to note the extremely large brute of a man standing in the middle of the road with his axe.

Or is that the sort of divinatory tidbit you were referring to?"

He waited for his sister to notice the half-orc, then turned to approach the figure, stopping ten paces away. He glanced to either side of the road, scanning for signs of others, then back to the half-orc.

"Greetings, highwayman. I applaud your sense of style, but feel it only fair to warn you that my sister is in a mood ... perhaps you would like to accost some other travelers?"

Morbis Meh
2014-01-07, 11:45 PM
Jayn sighs mockingly "Spoken like a true virgin brother, what is it the bishop doesn't want to stand up to greet his goddess?" She turns her gaze to the large orc with the larger axe "If you must know that is exactly the case, I divine that it is high time you shut your mouth or else you shall be receiving a splitting head ache."

She turns to the large man "Excuse me my good sir but I must advise caution, the longer you spend in our presence the higher the chance my brother will try to convert you. So for your sake and your soul's sake may I suggest you continue on your journey and prey upon someone less holier than thou?"

Not waiting for the half orc to speak she turns back to her brother "So this is what I get for allowing you to plan the route? You simply wander aimlessly directly into the path of some scruffy hooligan with an axe larger than his body. Obviously he is overcompensating which make matters worse, you can't even have us stumble across competent highwaymen who aren't crippled with depression and self loathing. Honestly you are a failure as a travel planner, no wonder you took up the cloth they will take just about anyone."

Starbin
2014-01-08, 12:11 AM
Za'an snorted as his sister once again turned the entire blame on him. Just like the drunken whore to blame him for a path she choose. Fortunately he was used to it. Unfortunately, it would probably continue to happen again and again.

"Honestly you are a failure as a travel planner, no wonder you took up the cloth they will take just about anyone."

Za'an laughed. "You should know, my sweet sister ... rumor around the lesser chapels is that they all took you."

Before she retorted, he raised a hand. "A moment Jayn. We ARE among company ... perhaps we should determine their intent first. If they are friends, you can continue your diatribe. If they are not, we should probably slay them.

Then you can bath in their blood or whatever heathen rituals you are performing these days." The last was said under his breath.

Morbis Meh
2014-01-08, 01:11 AM
Jayn smiles brightly waiting for her turn to comment.

Za'an laughed. "You should know, my sweet sister ... rumor around the lesser chapels is that they all took you."

"Quite right dearest brother, those I need to confess, I heard the exact same rumor but I wasn't the one they had had. If that was the case they would have given it up altogether" She adds a wink to emphasize the point and addresses the more than likely bewildered man before them.

"I do apologize again for our inhospitable display, be you friend or foe my good sir? According to my brother there is apparently only one option, a fitting display of Sarenrae's infinite forgiveness wouldn't you say? I myself would be content with swatting you on your rear and telling you never to do it again but alas religious zealots are just so bloodthirsty!"

ProudGrognard
2014-01-08, 01:41 AM
Caleban

Caleban starts to look a little bit lost as the encounter did not go as he planned.

"If you stop for a minute to argue among yourselves? Good.

I am not a highwayman. I am Caleban and I am here to warn you that you are heading for that big pile of rocks out there. We just came from there. It is dangerous and then some.

So, either you are people who add to the danger, and then we are to have some words. Of the 'ahhh, getting hit by an axe hurts' variety. Or you are people who did not know of the danger, and you should head back. Desna has not yet graced this path with her blessing, and it is not yet safe.

Either way, you have been warned."

stack
2014-01-08, 08:20 AM
Perhaps slaying them would be a mercy? Lethos thinks.

Certainly not for the last time.

Starbin
2014-01-08, 12:29 PM
To his sister, Za'an smiled condescendingly. "Of course there are more than two possibilities - but you usually have problems with anything higher. Apparently the half-orc feels there are only two possibilities as well - violence with his axe, or turning around."

Turning to face the half-orc, he nodded towards the ruins in the distance. "Perhaps we are hear to remove the danger, in which case your two options, while still valid, are not conducive to longevity for either of our interests. Since last we were told this is a public path, your warnings, while unsolicited, are duly noted. Please move aside and keep your axe to yourself."
Man, Za'an is turning into a bigger d(*k than I originally thought ... hmmm ... what was his chr again? Oh yeah.
Spot on!

ProudGrognard
2014-01-08, 01:05 PM
Caleban

Caleban looks at the strange pair with wry amusement.

"You know, neighbor, I have half a mind to let you pass. Especialy since we already cleared half the castle already. But before I do let you continue, I am curious on two things. First, this is not a well-troden path. How come you are set to visit an old castle? And second, highwaymen, as you thought I am, generaly do not work alone. Yet, here you stand bickering, without a care who else may be stalking you. Are you sure you are up to this? Because the Lady will be quite cross with me if I let someone get hurt in Her paths."

Trying to juggle te memory that you were told we are here. Probably also had a description. How mant Desnian half-orcs with an axe do you expect around here?

Morbis Meh
2014-01-08, 02:10 PM
Jayn rolls her eyes as her brother continues blathering on "Dear sir, I yet again apologize for my brother his social ineptitude is only exceeded by his stupidity. You mentioned that you served Desna, a fine Goddess by any standard and not so stuck up as others, by chance would you be Caleban? Due to your obvious heritage and self proclaimed patronage I feel that you meet the description Mistress Koya provided. We were sent here to lend you our aid but I am afraid most of my energy will be spent babysitting my brother here. He has such a hard on for that cold huntress Shelalaloo or whatever her name is that he cannot think straight."

ProudGrognard
2014-01-08, 03:24 PM
Caleban

Caleban 's face is a battlefield between laughter and incredulity.

"Wait. You are brothers and sister? How did you survive... I mean, how is Koya? From where do you know Ameiko?

Shalelu? Really? Not that she does not have charm, mind you...

Ahem. I think I need to sit down on that boulder. I am almost sorry for the creatures we will encounter in the castle. If they have ears, that is.And I thought Eirik was bad."

Caleban becomes conscious that he is bubbling. He sits in a nearby boulder, takes a big breath and reshuffles his mental cards.

"So. You are friends of Medrana, Koya to you and of Ameiko. You were sent to find us and aid us. And if I understood things correctly, you are a member of the clergy and you... are not.

That is enough for me. For now. And yes, I am Caleban. How is Ameiko?"

stack
2014-01-08, 03:44 PM
Lethos steps out of his hiding place, keeping his blade low. "Timely reinforcements. You already know of us, so we should make introductions and proceed, unless something has changed with Ameiko's condition. I am Lethos Far-wanderer."

Morbis Meh
2014-01-08, 04:20 PM
The mirth disappeared from Jayn's face as Ameiko's name was mentioned "I would say acquaintances of Koya not friends but I have known Ameiko for a couple of years and even worked at her tavern as a distiller for a short spell. As for an introduction, simply refer to me as Jayn Mistress of the Natural Arcane mysteries, this pompous Oaf is Za'an High Priest of Hypocrisy and Poor manners. Yes we are siblings, twins to be more precise and you are correct we are your back up. Now shall we leave this current open location for one a little more private?"

stack
2014-01-08, 04:32 PM
Lethos nods his head toward the cemetary. "Safe enough in here." He gives Jayn a long look. "May have seen you at the dragon. I would have been drunk, so I am uncertain."

Bhaakon
2014-01-09, 12:35 AM
With the distraction of a conversation goes on...and on...and on, none of you notice that Shalelu has disappeared. She slipped into the trees once Caleban decided to set such a conspicuous ambush, hoping to salvage the situation by swinging through the forest to flank whomever was approaching.

When she finally emerges--long after figuring out who was approaching--it's with the slight smirk that's about as close to a smile as she ever comes.

"Hail, Za'an, Jayn. I didn't expect to see you here, so far from Crying Leaf." She says as she appears behind the pair. "Your timing is impeccable. We were just about to go back into battle, and we seem to be down one loud-mouthed Taldan ally. We could certainly use a pair of heralds to announce our presence before each engagement."

Starbin
2014-01-10, 03:39 PM
Za'an rolled his eyes as his sister spoke. However, he did have to acknowledge that her comments seemed to break the impasse they had been in. He glanced over at the other person who stepped forward, watching him closely. However, when Shelalu stepped out, he stood even straighter and gave a respectful bow of his head.

"Greetings, Rana. As always, it is a pleasure to see you, albeit for reasons completely different from what my dear sister would have you believe. We are here to provide what assistance we can; time grows short as Lady Ameiko continues her inexorable slide into madness. What challenges await us, if you are preparing for battle?"

Using 'Rana' to be elven for wanderer ...

stack
2014-01-10, 03:45 PM
Impatient, Lethos answers the question not asked him. "We fought a mad demon and his minions. Something remains there yet; we saw the smoke from the burned corpses. There was plenty of fuel."

Bhaakon
2014-01-10, 04:05 PM
"As Lethos says, we've little information. We killed many corbies and troglodytes, as well as ogrekin, spiders, and dark fey. The creature that seemed to run the place, the Director, kept a strange menagerie indeed." Shalelu explains, in a veritable verbal explosion. "I'd expect more of the same, but prepare for anything."

As Shalelu finishes her extended monologue, Theodoric hobbles out from where he was resting, behind the mausoleum. The proud Taldan is dragging his left leg, unable to support himself without leaning on Eirik's shoulder. Spivey flits around his nervously.

"Not working, no. Not at all. Bad reaction." She chitters. "My spells are too late, and insufficient. He will need a more powerful caster or weeks of rest to heal the ravages of the poison. Or both. Or both."

"Don't listen to that rot." Mumbles Theodoric around a tongue as nerveless as his leg. "Just need a little rest and a drink. Good as new in a day or two, worry not."

Eirik shakes his head in disagreement, but keeps his tone cheery enough. "Just another case of flaccid Taldan spine, I think. A well known weakness of circulation in Southern stock. He'll be as good as new once the danger is past. I'll just drag him back to the caravan and report our progress. I think I heard that we're worrying the others to an early grave."

stack
2014-01-10, 04:46 PM
Lethos give Eirik a nod. "It would be good to give them word. See you when we're done."

Morbis Meh
2014-01-10, 04:54 PM
Jayn chuckles at her brother's expected change of attitude "My, my Shelalu you are quite the mistress, making a dog like him jump without even having to crack the whip. I salute your abilities madame." She gives a mock bow and looks at Lethos "If that is the case then may I suggest we resume your exploration unless all of you are perfectly fine with standing out in the open chatting?"

Bad Situation
2014-01-11, 03:50 AM
Kasuka watches the conversation play about around him, unsure of where exactly it was that he stood, and remains in hiding until Spivey returns with Eirik. With the chatter finally at an end, the fetchling emerges from the treeline and tromps back onto the path without paying much mind to the newcomers, eager to get back to the business of saving Ameiko from whatever it was that she needed to be saved from.

Bhaakon
2014-01-12, 03:18 AM
Eirik and Theodoric make their way back towards the caravan while Spivey flits about, unsure whether to accompany them or not. Eventually she decides to remain in the graveyard, ready to aid in case your second venture into the castle proves as eventful as the first.

From the outside of the fortifications, that doesn't seem likely. The crenelations remain free of defenders, the towers unmanned, and the main gates are just as wide open as you left them the day before. The only difference is the overpowering stench of roasted troglodyte. It's nearly as strong as the throat-clogging stink of living examples, and you're not even inside the curtain walls yet.

March in, sneak in, other?

stack
2014-01-12, 11:35 AM
Lethos, blade drawn, walk right in the main doors. "Let us sweep the main floor, then finish with the upper rooms before heading down. I suspect what we seek will be down, but it doesn't pay to have enemies at your back."

ProudGrognard
2014-01-12, 12:32 PM
Caleban

Now that everyone has been introduced to everyone, and the twins from Limbo have sort of quieted down, Caleban gazes at the castle with new determination.

"Neighbor 's right. Let us do it that way. I have a lot of pent-up aggression to vent."

Caleban readies his axe.

Bad Situation
2014-01-13, 01:03 AM
At the mention of pent-up aggression, Kasuka snorts in something like amusement. It doesn't sound like a gesture that tends to escape him very often, at any rate. "If that is the way it must be, I have no complaints."

Bhaakon
2014-01-13, 02:46 AM
Angry and confident after yesterday's battle, you march straight between the massive doors of the castle and through the abandoned gatehouse. The stench of burnt troglodyte thickens as you make your way into the courtyard, testing the strength of lung and stomach alike with an ashy, greasy miasma.

@Everyone
DC 13 Fort save or sickened (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/conditions#TOC-Sickened) for 10 rounds

The middle of the courtyard is is taken up with a ring of blackened bones and still-smouldering corpses, reminiscent of the scene you took in at the Licktoad's village not so long ago. Unlike that settlement, Brinewall doesn't appear abandoned. A woman of some sort stands atop the wall opposite the gate, in front of the remains of the ruined catapult. She's vaguely humanoid and clearly female, but the taloned feet, ragged wings, and irregular coat of beige feathers is clear evidence that she's neither human nor elf.

DC 14 know (nature)
She's a harpy, a typically corrupt race of bird-women who typically use their captivating song to lure humanoids to their doom.

She stands there, staring at you quietly.

@Caleban
There's a brief shooting pain in your head, followed by a voice. You seem to be in charge. The others can't hear me. This is my castle now. I know you killed the mad oni and his pet cleric. I will thank you be letting you leave alive. Go.

ProudGrognard
2014-01-13, 02:59 AM
Caleban

Caleban this time is not as successful in combating nausea. He gaggs and then he notices the strange creature when the mind stab hits him. He frowns and growls, addressing the others

"Hey neighbors. This thing here is a harpy. It just made three mistakes. First, it seems to think it is the owner of this castle. The second, it things I am our leader. The third, it just warned me that if we left now, it will let us live.

Now listen here, creature. You are in our way. You and your kind have polluted the paths of Lady Desna for centuries. and this castle is not yours and will never be. You leave now and you may yet live to see another day. Hinder us in the slightest and I will hurt you in this world, as will the Lady in the next.

If you don't believe me, go ask the oni what happened. Leave. Now!"

The last is almost a growl. Immediately after, Caleban invokes the might of his Lady, to shield him from evil.

Nature [roll0] to also find capabilities
Fort [roll1]

Cast protection from evil

Bhaakon
2014-01-13, 04:20 AM
Then you're as foolish as the last master of this keep. The harpy communicates to Caleban.

She peals off a blood-freezing keen, like an enormous bird of prey, and jumps into the air. Her wings pump powerfully, driving her up half again as high as the top of the keep by the time she's halfway across the courtyard. The bow in her right hand sits idle as her left shifts through a series of gestures, summoning up a kaleidoscopic bubble of light around herself.

DC 16 spellcraft
entropic shield

@Everyone but Caleban
Roll the fort save from the previous post. You've spent a round talking, so it will only last 9 if you fail.

Map
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee498/Bhaakon/Harpyfight1.jpg

Red: slagged catapult
Orange: Smoldering bodies. 1d6 fire damage Ref 12 save for half if you pass through it.
Sky Blue: Flying, 60' up

stack
2014-01-13, 09:54 AM
spellcraft [roll0]
Losing Init doesn't matter too much for Lethos, he can't to much at 60' anyhow. Acid splash is only 30 ft at this level, not carrying a bow. Need to pick one up sometime, tight on weight though. "Its warded against projectiles, though not impenetrably. One in five true shots will miss."

Morbis Meh
2014-01-13, 02:20 PM
Jayn sauntered behind the group with some pep in her step and takes a casual whiff at the cloud of stench "My what a potent fragrence we have hear, though this is nothing compared to the stench after an entire week bender. Hey Lucky, cheer up, don't let the smell bother you remember shallow breathes." She begins to imitate lamaze breathe while grinning like a fool at Caleban.

She looks at birdwoman and yawns "Oh... it's one of you, don't you have an egg to lay or something, go bulid your nest somewhere else. Shoo! Hey now... I saw what you do there and trying put poor old Lucky to sleep is poor form! Besides you're doing it all wrong, now I will let you off with a warning..." Jayn begins chanting in lilting tone calling forth her magic then weaves it with her fingers before casting outward towards the harpy. To everyone else it appeared like nothing happened, to the harpy a blinding light suddenly manifests right before her eyes.

Casting Blindness on the Harpy; roll a fort save DC 16 or be permanently blinded.