PDA

View Full Version : Bhaakon's Brinewall Legacy IC

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]

Morbis Meh
2014-04-04, 04:40 PM
Jayn quickly steps back and begins her singing, hypnotically tempting the thing to close its eyes and drift into a peaceful slumber.
5 ft step to I4 and using slumber hex... hopefully the chasm is a LONG way down; Will Save DC 19

Bhaakon
2014-04-04, 10:06 PM
The fetid blob of teeth and tentacles drops with all the grace of a sack of rotten codfish, and slaps into the stone floor 20 feet down with a splattering thud that strongly hints at a bone-less anatomy. But what the creature lacks in backbone, it makes up in filthy vocabulary. It spews forth a profusion of curses and oaths, promising the vilest sort of revenge in at least three languages (one of which is rather articulate Varisian).

The swearing grows louder as the things floats back up, drawn aloft by the madly flapping bat wings.

"...but you won't die then, half-elf. No, no, no. I'll leave just enough to let you watch and scream as I feed, slowly morsel by morsel, shaving by shaving. You'll watch it all."

Map
Same map, with Jayn shifter to I4. Creature is in the same spot. Lethos will act with the rest of you

Starbin
2014-04-05, 01:51 AM
Za'an stared at the apparition of Pharasma. Looking about, it seemed like a true likeness, but he couldn't tell whether it's origin was divine or not. He scowled at Jayn's comment, not stepping forward as Caleban stomped deeper into the cavern.

Immediately, the ruse was unveiled as a filthy sack of flesh rose and attacked the half-orc. The others leapt into action, but Za'an was a little more deliberate. Stepping forward, he pulled free his bow and prepared to fire off an arrow into the beast.

Move to H4 and draw bow. Fire comp longbow: [roll0], dam: [roll1]
KS (Planes): [roll2]

ProudGrognard
2014-04-09, 12:41 AM
Caleban

Caleban, cursing himself loudly for a damn orcish fool, steps in front of Za' an, as promised.

"Back with the others, I say! Stay behind me, at least until I get my weapon back"

Then an idea comes to him. He remembers that he is carrying still the enchanted cold iron mace from some days ago. Without taking his eyes of the creature, he reaches and take sit out.

So, Caleban uses the mace two-handed after he rertrieves it.

Morbis Meh
2014-04-09, 09:19 AM
Jayn cheerfully giggles at the abomination in front of her "Aww, did baby fall down and get a boo boo? Want me to kiss it better? Or are you going to be all grumpy so we have to put you in time out?" She blows a kiss in the direction of the winged horror releasing her magic at it "Also don't tease me so, it's just cruel to work up a lady and not follow though!"

So using misfortune hex on the bugger Will save DC 15 or they are stuck with rolling twice and taking the worse of the two rolls for their turn. Jayn will also move 10 ft backwards towards the party, she wants to still be in range to make our half orc large.

Starbin
2014-04-10, 03:26 PM
Za'an noticed the shade of the beast's skin, along with the faint odor of brimstone. With a hiss, he warned the others. "Ware yourselves ... this beast has a touch of the abyss about it!" Using his ability to call forth fire would be useless against this foe, so he continued to fire his bow, keeping Caleban between himself and the floating blob.

[roll0], [roll1] (subtract 4 from to hit if the thing is in melee)

HPs: 21/21 ; AC: 18 (20 w/shield)
Channel 1/1; Fire bolt: 6/7
0: create water, mending, light, detect magic
1: bless, protection from evil, magic weapon, burning hands
2: resist energy, spiritual weapon, produce flame

Bhaakon
2014-04-11, 02:01 AM
"I'll suck the marrow from your bones, elf-wench! I'll slice off the top of your skull and use it drink down your blood and bile as you watch, still living, then scoop out the less vital bits of brain for a light snack. The parts with your mind and memories, but not the ones that keep you breathing and feeling pain."

The creature's ranting continues unabated as Lethos's conjured acid splashes harmlessly against the creature's flabby mantel. Za'an's and one of Kasuka's razor-sharp throwing stars do no better bouncing off the thing's thick hide without leaving so much as a scratch. Shalelu, at least, draws a bead of the black sludge that serves as the creature's blood, but only a trickle from a gazing wound. Jayn can feel her latest hex take hold, but the monster doesn't seem to notice at all. It simply floats up higher, bulbous form borne aloft by madly fluttering wings that seem too small for their load by half.

"...but before that, you'll choke on the darkness. Come forth, my birthright, and steal the breath from a pack of fools too eager to die." At the creature's command, it palpable aura of evil gains substance and some measure of wretched autonomy, flowing outward in a frigid wave of agony that crashes over everyone in the crypt.

Spellcraft DC 19
unholy blight

@everyone
[roll0] base damage and [roll1] rounds of being sickened, DC 16 Will save for half damage and no sickened.

@Lethos: being neutral, you only take 1/2 damage, and save for 1/4. No chance of being sickened.

Map

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee498/Bhaakon/Decapusfight2.png
Orange = creature is too high up to reach with normal melee weapons. You'll need ranged or reach weapons (and must be adjacent to use reach weapons)

Morbis Meh
2014-04-11, 09:58 AM
Jayn can feel the darkness tear into her but she endures it while maintaining her smile "Ooh baby, that gave me chills and your words they make me blush but sadly that just didn't do it for me, have you found lately that you've been a bit limp or impotent? It's alright you have probably been alone for so long that you're just out of practice or forgot how to act around a woman. It's alright no need to be ashamed, it happens to all men at some point or another." She laughs at the floating blob as she shrugs of its after effect walking calmly behind the half orc she pulls out her wand and taps him on the shoulder "My friend here will show you how a real man plays won't you Calely-poo?"

Moving to H5 and using another charge from the wand of enlarge person. Damn good investment if I do say so myself!

ProudGrognard
2014-04-11, 10:18 AM
Caleban
HP 6 AC 19

Maybe it was his devotion, maybe not. Caleban would like to think that this was to blame. But for any reason, the unholy darkness of the thing tore at Caleban deeply. He felt his life drain and his limbs lose their strength.

But this is what he was sworn to combat.

"I will take you DOWN!" he growls as he swings his mace, charging the thing with his mace.

PA Atk [roll0] dmg [roll1]

Starbin
2014-04-11, 10:20 AM
As the creature rose up, thinking it was out of range, Za'an almost chuckled. Then the foul chill fell over him, almost making him gag in response to the evil spell. His sister's incessent droning on didn't help matters, but that was a small price to pay if it rattled the flying thing. Shaking off the malaise, Za'an touched the symbol on his neck and muttered words of divine power. With a gesture towards the creature, a glowing, curved blade appeared suddenly and began slashing at it immediately. He murmured to himself with a sardonic grin, "Overconfident fool ... you're not the only one with access to magic ..." Once he cast the spell, he moved back to spread the group out a bit, trying to avoid a single spell hitting them all again.

Cast spiritual weapon, move to G4.
[roll0]; [roll1]

HPs: 13/21 ; AC: 18 (20 w/shield)

stack
2014-04-11, 11:09 AM
Lethos shrugs as the acid has no effect, unsurprised due to his identification of the beast, then winces from the wave of evil. He draws his recently acquired bow and looses an arrow. will [roll0]
att [roll1]
damage [roll2]

Bhaakon
2014-04-13, 01:24 AM
Za'an's translucent scimitar goes to work, cleanly severing one of the creature's half-score of tentacles. The beast belts out a pained screech as the liberated member drops below to the level of the ledge and out of view. It's enough of a distraction for Kasuka to slip into the nearest side passage unobserved, a passage which, most fortuitously, loops around behind the flying monster. It seems more surprised and angry than truly wounded when the shuriken flashes out of the darkness, but even a demon-blooded abomination has a hard time shrugging off a razor-sharp hunk of steel bisecting its cornea.

Lethos and Shalelu launch missiles of their own, but the ranger's arrows miss entirely, and the creature's hide proves stubbornly resistant to Lethos's shot.

The injuries are far from mortal, but they're enough to make the monster cautious, and shift its attentions. Its slides back into the welcoming darkness of the natural cavern, producing an amber-tipped wand from somewhere in its writhing mop of tentacles and pointing it at Kasuka. A lance of fire blooms from the slim rod, and it's all Kasuka can do to spin away at the last moment and sacrifice his left arm to avoid taking the hit full in the face.

DC 17 Spellcraft
Scorching ray

@Kasuka
7 damage

Jayn palms a wand of her own, beginning the lengthy process of activating its enlarging enchantment on Caleban. The Half-orc, already swelling under the spell's influence, beats a hasty retreat to gather his preferred weapon and heal himself.

Map
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee498/Bhaakon/Decapusfight3.png

ProudGrognard
2014-04-13, 03:27 AM
Caleban
HP 12 AC 18, PfE

Caleban's quick prayer helps restore some of his missing vitality. By the time he is done, he has swelled to being again of giant sze. He eyes the abomination with a toothy grin.

"Let's see you now, you infernal sack of bones. Out of the way!"

With that, he picks up speed, his beloved axe spinning

PA charge [roll0] dmg [roll1]

stack
2014-04-13, 01:23 PM
Lethos pulls back another arrow, but stops when Caleban cleaves through the creature while blocking his shot. presuming its dead, not worth shooting w/o precise shot anyway

Morbis Meh
2014-04-15, 06:35 PM
Jayn silently side steps as Cael smashes into the thing though it still being alive the half blood witch saunters a little closer "I am sorry hun, looks like today just isn't your lucky day, hope your afterlife treats you better and please remember me when you get sucked back into that hell hole you call home!" Grasping a pearl from here bag, the witch focuses and bellows out a repeat shriek directed at the floating blob.

5 ft move to H6 whilst grabbing my level 1 pearl of power so I can unleash Ear Piercing Scream! sonic damage [roll0] Fort save DC 15 or be dazed, pass and take half damage.

Starbin
2014-04-15, 10:41 PM
Za'an raised an eyebrow as the flying beast took a blow that could have decapitated a half giant. He mentally directed the glowing scimitar to follow the beast, slashing as it kept pace.

Letting the spiritual weapon continue it's attack.
[roll0]; [roll1]

HPs: 13/21 ; AC: 18 (20 w/shield)

stack
2014-04-16, 11:28 AM
Lethos dashes over to Kasuka to get a clear shot.att [roll0] includes -4 for firing into melee
damage [roll1]

Bhaakon
2014-04-16, 11:00 PM
Caleban swings a greataxe the size of an uprooted sapling at the monster, cleaving off half its remaining tentacles and a sizable slice of the blob of the slimy flesh that makes up its ponderous mantle. The force of the blow sends the monster reeling, sniping deeper into the natural cavern as its shrieks game volume and slip into some demon-spawned language sounding of gurgling death rattles and nails being drawn across a slate.

Read if you know Abyssal, otherwise DC 13 Linguistics
“Father! Help! Faaaathhhherrrr! Pazuzu!”

It's the last sound the creature makes, save for the wet 'thump' as it strikes the stone floor below. Sensing her chance as the creature spins out of control, she launches a trio of arrows. One strikes true, finding the gaping rent Caleban's axe left in its hide and diving in to find some organ sufficiently vital to drop the wretched beast.

Peering over the ledge to be sure that the creature is down for good, you finally have time to take note of contents of the natural cavern. The floor is littered with bones, most fish and animal, but a few large enough to be humanoid (including more than one corby skull). Of more interest is the modest horde of treasure heaped around a shrine of sorts in a southern branch of the chamber. Coin, gems, and items of obvious enchantment ring a doll-sized obsidian statuette--a smaller and more refined version of the statue of Pazuzu from the despoiled chapel in the upper level of the keep.

XP
600 each

(phat) Loot
2120 gp in coin and gems
1x light steel shield w/stylized picture of Brinewall castle
+1, light fortitifcation
1x starknife
+1, returning
1x pearl
1st lvl pearl of power
1x ornate iron ring
Ring of the Ram, 10 charges
1x garishly engraved silver compass with slightly dented cover plate
standard wayfinder
1x handsomely tooled sliver headband
Circlet of persuasion
1x Amber-tipped wand
Wand of Scorching Ray, 30 charges
Statuette of Pazuzu
Functions as +4 headband of alluring Charisma when borne on your person (including in pack or carried extra-dimensional space)

ProudGrognard
2014-04-17, 12:32 AM
Caleban

Caleban almost giggles as his enlarged axe hits the creature with tremendous force. He knows that this is a killing stroke, but watches incredulously as the thing still moves afterwards. But Shalelu 's arrows soon put it down. Caleban stands over it and growls

"Tell them we send you!"

After that, he wipes his axe and takes a long breath.

"If there is healing available,I would appreciate it."

Morbis Meh
2014-04-17, 09:42 AM
Jayn sighs longingly "Ah, yet another suitor who only really knows to sweet talk and runs away at the first sign of commitment! Won't I ever find true love?" Grinning impishly she throws herself dramatically upon the enlarged half-orc's waist "Please tell me that you will never leave me like that, dear sweet Caely-poo!"

stack
2014-04-17, 11:17 AM
Lethos shakes his head as he stows the bow and draws his blade again. Yet another time when random, antagonistic creatures inexplicably share a dwelling, close in proximity, apparently just to wait for travelers to wander by. I swear, you can't dig a cellar in this world without stumbling into six different races of monster!

He tosses Caleban a sympathetic glance, glad the witch's sarcastic attention is elsewhere for a moment. Surprised her tongue did not do it in, truly it was a creature of the hells.

He takes a turn looking at the items, holding up the compass. "A wayfinder. Useful for navigation and making light, for those that need such. More powers when combined with an ioun stone."

Starbin
2014-04-17, 01:27 PM
Za'an looked over the items, nodding absently to himself as he deciphered a good many of them. He had resolved to keep the information to himself, given the numerous requests to 'shut up' from his companions, but at Lethos' comment, he pointed to some of the items he could figure out. "The shield is protected by minor magiks ... I would find it useful if no one else needs its enchantments. The ring is capable of generating tremendous force; perhaps it can be used in opening the large door that still holds a grudge against our neighbor's shoulder. The wand will produce a goute of flame, while the statuette is embued with evil powers. I would recommend I keep it safe for now, until it can be disposed of properly. I am ... unfamiliar with the rest of the items, although they are clearly enchanted."

At Caleban's request, he glanced around the group, then nodded briefly. Reaching for the medallion around his neck, he motioned the others closer, then let forth a glow of healing power that would seal all but the most grievous of wounds. As the group recovered and Za'an moved to place the statuette (wrapped in close so he did not touch it) into his pack, the priest frowned. "I find it interesting the number of signs pointing to a cult of Pazuzu. The harpy was a worshiper, and obviously someone who fell to the blobbed monstrosity also was a worshipper. Was this part of how the castle fell, I wonder ..."

First, if you didn't see, everyone gets 7 HPs back. Second, if Caleban needs more, I can either burn spells or we can use a potion or scroll. Third, recommend searching the remainder of the open area down here, then heading back to Door A.

Finally, @ Bhaakon, are there any skill checks Za'an can make to try and piece together the Pazuzu mystery, or is that common knowledge from the AP?

HPs: 20/21 ; AC: 18 (20 w/shield)

stack
2014-04-17, 08:58 PM
Lethos scowls in thought (as opposed to his various other scowls). "How is a demon cult tied to Ameiko? Some legacy of her previous adventures?"pressing on. did we fully check the cave? I think so. Looks like the may be a passage in the north of the cave, otherwise back to the nearest unopened door.

ProudGrognard
2014-04-18, 01:08 AM
Caleban

Caleban smiles a toothy smile as he feels his vitality returning. Still a bit on the large side, he does not even mind the witch 's antics.

"Let 's move, neighbors. I like killing fiendish things in the dark!"

Bhaakon
2014-04-19, 11:49 PM
You cautiously sweep the small tunnel winding its way north from the beast's lair, but it only continues for a few score paces before dead-ending in a briny pool. The water pulses up and down in rhythm with breaking surf that's just barely audible through the stone, and the outlet is near enough to let the barest shimmer of sunlight trickle in. Judging from the algae layer on the cave wall, it must be high tide. You suspect that the water level might be low enough to wade out when the tide ebbs. For the time being, though, the passage is effectively blocked.

With nowhere else to go, you backtrack to the ledge and haul yourselves up into the crypt. As you're backing your way back out, you notice a round object laying in the dust at the feet of the statue-pillar of Pharasma. You don't remember seeing it on your way into the crypt, but the dust shadow left when you pick it up proves that it's been sitting here for years (if not decades). Perhaps you just missed it with the distraction of the illusory goddess and subsequent battle.

Regardless, you've found it now, a darkwood and silver medallion depicting Castle Brinewall until a full moon. A faint aura of transmutation seeps from the object, but the purpose of the enchantment remains stubbornly proof against your divinations.

Map
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee498/Bhaakon/Brinewallbasement7.png

Starbin
2014-04-21, 01:10 PM
Za'an followed the others as they searched the caverns, wondering where the thing living here had come from. Further on, it seemed they found an exit that led to the water, offering a vulnerability to the Castle that the original owners probably didn't anticipate. Before they left the cave, the group stumbled upon a small disk that the user of magic tried to discern. He thought about where he might have seen such an item before, but could not recall immediately what its purpose might be.

Not sure if there's a knowledge check here, but if so let us know.

With a sigh, Za'an started to speak, then closed his mouth. Best to let the others determine where they went next. He was partial to the far door, but it didn't matter overly much to him.

Morbis Meh
2014-04-21, 01:59 PM
Jayn lets go of Cael's waist and shrugs "No idea how she would get caught up in something like that; I have known her for a few years but not for all of it and from what we have spoke of there is no indication of her being involved with such a group." She casually slips the offered ring on her finger and holds her hand up so she can admire it. Walking behind everyone else she notices her brother holding his tongue, a rarity, and begins to giggle softly under her breath. She could care less what direction the went in, she was along for the ride.

Bhaakon
2014-04-21, 06:22 PM
The group leaves the crypt behind, back tacking through the kitchen the last pair of untested doors in the castle's cellars. By silent agreement you gather around the eastern door, a bulwark of damp oak planks swollen just enough to stick in its jam without being sealed completely. Caleban shoulders his way through the stuck door with a bit of effort, leading the group into the remains of the castle's pantry.

At some point into the last couple decades a water has seeped through the walls, transforming the once-sturdy timber shelves and whatever stores hadn't been plundered into moldering heaps of mushroom food. Every manner of fungus, from puff balls of wispy fuzz to platter-sized caps the color of bleached bone dot the space. The floor nearest the water seep, at the far end of the old pantry, is carpeted in bruise-tinted stalks in a soupy green slime. These violet heads twist in your direction and swell as you enter the room, sucking up the foetid morass about their roots in preparation for something that you just know won't be pleasant.

DC 14 Know (Nature)
These purple stalks are part of a phycomid, a ghastly carnivorous fungus that reproduces by launching acid-coated spores. The acid eats into the flesh, allowing the spore to take hold and devour the host from the inside--a process that takes only a few moments. Fortunately, they can only prepare a half dozen spores at one time, and must spend four rounds regenerating their spores once that supply is exhausted

Initiative
No map. Consider yourselves 15' away at start of battle. You can advance to attack in melee, retreat and take cover, or hold your position at the door and launch spells/ranged attacks.

Caleban, Lethos, and Za'an are up.

ProudGrognard
2014-04-21, 11:44 PM
Caleban
HP19 Ac 17

Upon seeing the room, Caleban recognizes what he sees. He has not actually been close by such a creature before, but he had it described to him in great detail.

"Ok neighbors, this is a phycomid- a carnivorous fungus. It shoots acid spores which launch inside you and eat you. Be careful. Do not do this!"

And with that, he is uo and running towards the thing, his axe over his head.

Not sure if still enlarged. And yes, Caleban has no way of attacking it from a distance that would be efficient. Also, does his Nature check reveal any weaknesses?

In any case, PA charge. If enlarged, use second roll for damage [roll0] dmg [roll1] or [roll2]

Morbis Meh
2014-04-22, 09:51 AM
Jayn simply whistles to herself and walks away "Have fun boys, try not to get eaten alive, personally I would just light the room on fire and be done with it but that's just me. If you need me I am going to have a nap where the spores cannot get me... and before you complain all of my abilities are negated by this creature and I am not getting anywhere near it. Though if you decide to dump a barrel of flammable not digestible fluid on it I would set it on fire for you.

stack
2014-04-22, 11:14 AM
"We found a disc earlier, the castle under the high sun. Opposites, sun and moon. Interesting."

"Then let us kill it before it has the chance." Lethos's blade sparks as he darts forward, swinging fluidly. cast shocking grasp, move, swift to enhance blade, free to deliver

att [roll0]
damage [roll1]
electric damage [roll2]

Starbin
2014-04-22, 03:51 PM
Za'an watched in bemusement as Caleban and Lethos rushed off to close with the mushroom creatures. He glanced back as his sister avoided conflict, noting her warning with a shake of his head. Calling upon his connection to the divine flame, he launch a small ball of fire towards the creatures, having no desire to let these things burn him with their acid spores.

Ranged touch attack! [roll0], [roll1]

HPs: 21/21 ; AC: 18 (20 w/shield)
Channel 1/1; Fire bolt: 5/7

Bhaakon
2014-04-23, 11:54 PM
Jolted, scorched, and hacked to pieces in the span of a few seconds, it's all the beleaguered fungal colony can do to cough out a single acid-coated blob of spores at Lethos from one of its few intact stalks. Unfortunately for the elf, the near-mindless mushroom creature doesn't feel pain in the traditional sense, so its aim isn't spoiled by fact that most its body has just been slashed away or charred to a crisp.

@Lethos
6 acid damage, DC 15 constitution save or [roll0] Con damage

ProudGrognard
2014-04-24, 12:48 AM
Caleban
AC 17 HP 19

Caleban keeps hacking at the fungus thing, trying to not give it a second chance.

Still not sure if enlarged, so I roll as normal.

[roll0] dmg [roll1]

Morbis Meh
2014-04-24, 10:22 AM
Jayn closes her eyes for a brief lay down while her monkey fans her with a piece of scrap parchment, it had been a rather tiresome day so far and she was in need of a slight reprieve.

stack
2014-04-24, 11:08 AM
Lethos continues his attack despite his wounds, knowing the quickest route to safety lay in finishing his foe.fort [roll0]

concentration [roll1] vs 15 for arcane mark
attack [roll2]
damage [roll3]

attack [roll4]
damage [roll5]

Starbin
2014-04-24, 04:40 PM
With both Caleban and Lethos blocking his sight, Za'an sighed and perused the room for other threats. Best to be remain vigiliant, rather than wasting his talents in a futile attempt to demonstrate relevance.

Holding action, doing a visual sweep. [roll0]

Bhaakon
2014-04-25, 12:12 AM
Lethos slashes down the last of the phycomid's remaining stalks while Caleban hacks away at the already burnt areas for good measure. It's difficult to say whether you can 'kill' a fungal colony, even one with a sort of verminous cunning, but you've at least rendered the thing harmless to anyone able to resist the temptation to eating it (which shouldn't be hard, given that the stench coming off the scorched bits reminds you of nothing so much as Sandru's favorite traveling boots after a long day on the trail).

With only one door left unopened in the castle basement, you backtrack into the kitchen and head north, finding a heavy door leading into a small stretch of natural cavern. The ceiling is low and jagged, but the floor has been carved into slight slope leading to shallow gutter that runs down the center of the chamber and disappears into a cleft in the stone too small to admit more than a starving rat. The purpose of the space escapes you until you notice the rusty tools hanging on pegs near the door: wicked-looking hooks, delicate saws, tongs, chisels, and picks all designed for moving and cutting ice. Apparently corbies don't enjoy chilled drinks or desserts, as they've not bothered to stock the ice room.

And thus ends the exploration of the basement. All that remains is the locked iron door in the main hall, and the stairway beyond the haunted hallway.

Morbis Meh
2014-04-25, 09:22 AM
Jayn yawns as she rouses from her very short lay down and pouts at the state of the ice room Damn... I was hoping to make margaritas with some ice... lazy demon mutant birds... Looking at the two men that were not her brother she lets out a big sigh "So where to next, do we try the door again? The ring I have may make it a little easier...

ProudGrognard
2014-04-25, 10:21 AM
Caleban

"Neighbor, that is a good idea. Let's go"

stack
2014-04-25, 11:09 AM
"Perhaps the discs will provide access to the door, or a way to bypass the haunted hall. Door first."

Starbin
2014-04-25, 11:28 AM
Za'an was tempted to remain silent, but he finally approached Lethos and asked in a low voice, "Would it be an imposition to view both medallions? As you have alluded to, there may be a connection that provides insight as to their purpose, whether that be access to the portals we are returning to, or some other useful information."

Let us know what skill checks might be required ... presuming the group allows Za'an to look over the discs.

stack
2014-04-25, 11:42 AM
Lethos produces the amulet, passing it over for inspection, himself curious.

Starbin
2014-04-26, 08:20 PM
Za'an handed the items back after a few moments of concentration. "They are not of magic I am familiar with. Perhaps it is the same sort of hedge sorcery that my dear sister uses."

stack
2014-04-27, 12:34 PM
"May be a key, if not to a door then something else. Let us try the door first."

Bhaakon
2014-04-28, 12:27 AM
You head back up to the ground floor and walk down the main hall to the iron door. It's as stubbornly locked as ever, and there's no obvious spot to place the two enchanted disks. A quick divination shows that the door and its lock are either utterly mundane or masterfully warded against such examinations.

ProudGrognard
2014-04-28, 12:41 AM
Caleban

"So, how do we do this, neighbors? Batter it down or have another go at the locks?"

No lockpickers anymore among us... should Caleban try to batter it down?

stack
2014-04-28, 11:19 AM
"Anyone here must know of our presence by now. I say it it time." Lethos nods to Caleban.

Morbis Meh
2014-04-29, 10:32 AM
Jayne readies her ring "Alright then, I suggest we time this effort together..." She holds up the ring towards the door and looks over to Cael "On the count of three slam into the door.....1.....2....3" The witch activates the ring sending out a shockwave of force barreling towards the door.

Using a single charge to begin with, if that fails I will use two then three... First str roll..
[roll0] and of course the dice roller is a complete wanker :smallsigh:

Bhaakon
2014-04-29, 10:44 PM
The ring's power bursts forth as a shockwave of sorts, a barely visible disturbance in the air that cracks against the door like a ten-pound sledgehammer. The door rattles on its hinges, but doesn't break

Morbis Meh
2014-04-29, 11:22 PM
Jayn grumbles as the ring doesn't perform at ALL "Let's try this again..." Holding the ring up again she fires another burst, slightly more concentrated than the first.

using two charges this time [roll0]

...I give up, dice roller you are a sick and twisted god

Bhaakon
2014-05-01, 02:03 AM
Another bolt of force bursts forth, even stronger than the first, but Jayn's wayward aim betrays her. The energies mostly play out against the stone wall, thumping uselessly against the blocks of stone.

Frustrate with the vaunted ring's impotence, Caleban marches over to the stout throne on the nearby dais--the same seat the Director greeted you from the morning previous--and drags the solid mounds of maroon leather and mahogany down to the iron door. Realizing what he has planned, enough of you take hold of the oversized chair to joist it aloft and set it swinging. A dozen blows later and the throne is splintered and worthless, the sappers are sweaty and gasping for breath, and the iron door swings opening fitfully on bent hinges.

Beyond is a hallway turned into a charnel house. A score of skeletal corpses are crammed into a short hallway, clad in shattered mail and gripping rusted blades. The defenders of Brinewall, left to rot in the cramped donjon where they made their last stand. Only one body remains more whole, disturbingly, ominously whole. It stands at the end of the hall with sword raised in salute, its eyes a pair of cherry-red coals glaring out from beneath a gilt dragon-wing helm.

DC 13 Religion
The creature is a wight, a vengeful undead abomination that tends to rise from particularly malevolent warriors or those who suffered especially violent deaths. In addition to retaining whatever skills it had in life, a wight's very touch can suck the life from a living man (ie: negative levels), and those who die by the hand of a wight quickly return as its spawn.

DC 20 History
The dragon-wing helm isn't particularly practical in battle, but it's certainly notable as a bit of deft craftsmanship. Notable enough that you recall hearing about it somwhaere--a token of good will gifted by the Lord Mayor of Magnimar to the High Captain of Brinewall shortly before the town fell.

Starbin
2014-05-01, 02:25 AM
Looking at the dead arrayed in front of them, Za'an has little time to wonder at their fate. Near the back, sword raised in salute, stood an abomination - a mockery of the life it once held.

"Ware yourselves! That is a wight - a foul undead creature that can suck the energy from your very marrow and transform your empty husk into a servile thrall!"

Morbis Meh
2014-05-01, 09:30 AM
Jayn looks at her brother and hisses out of annoyance "Oh goody, more beings that I cannot affect, have fun everyone!

ProudGrognard
2014-05-01, 10:56 AM
Caleban

Caleban looks at the undead wearily.

Religion [roll0]

"They are not always of evil descent, these wights. Sometimes they are spirits that have been wronged themselves. I do not know neighbors. Let us try to communicate with it."

Caleban approaches, his axe in hand.

"Hail warrior. Why are you lingering here?"

stack
2014-05-01, 11:07 AM
Lethos stays close to Caleban, ready in case the effort at diplomacy fails.

Bhaakon
2014-05-01, 11:47 PM
The wight stands stock still at the opposite end of the hall, studying you over the score of dismembered bodies for a long moment before replying.

"Old oaths. Must guard." Rasps the animate corpse. His coal eyes brighten for a moment as he adds a final word "Vengeance."

ProudGrognard
2014-05-02, 01:02 AM
Caleban

Caleban turns to the others and asks for the medallions. If they are given, he turns to the undead. Showing them and holding them high, he says

"We are here to help the last heir of the Kaijutsus. If you recognize the name and your oath allows it, let us pass."

stack
2014-05-02, 11:22 AM
"Vengeance on whom?" Lethos asks, passing Caleban the disks to show the wraith.

Morbis Meh
2014-05-02, 11:56 AM
Jayn leans back against the wall and casually pulls out her flask before taking a hefty gulp, she could care less what the others decided to do, all she cared about was staying the hell away from that thing. Things that die should stay dead that was how nature worked and this abomination of nature, though a tragic circumstance, should be laid to rest. She was contemplating placing a bet with her brother but he would fly off of the handle at the mere suggestion. He was fairly uptight when came to the undead but she didn't blame him, his church took these matter very seriously.

Starbin
2014-05-02, 12:34 PM
Za'an reached up to touch his holy symbol as Caleban suddenly stepped forward and began to parley. He frowned at the move, wondering at the diplomatic move versus the normally violent responses the half-orc offered ... to pretty much everything. Shaking his head, he waited - he knew that laying the living dead to rest was just as valid a course of action as destroying it. Either way, the realms of evil had one less warrior to do their bidding, and the world of the living was safe from one more monster's predations.

So for now, he could wait.

Bhaakon
2014-05-03, 01:38 AM
The wight's eyes flare at the mention of the Kaijutsu name. "You dare speak of the Betrayer?" It whispers, his wheezing rattle barely carrying down the hall. "The Liar? The False-named worm knew they were coming for him. Saved his family, but told me nothing until the frozen shadows of his past were upon us."

"They brought death with them, and... The mockery of a man moves for the first time, lifting a hand from the hilts of his sword to gesture at his own undead presence. "...and worse. Cannot rest while they yet hold my castle."

At this point Caleban finally retrieves the disks, holding them so that the wight may see. The corpse staggers forward a step, then another, sword clattering to the floor as its hands reach out to grab the plates. "How? The last one...the final shadow. He stole the keys. Trapped me here...."

ProudGrognard
2014-05-03, 09:56 AM
Caleban

"This castle will be cleansed. By the name of Desna, its darkness will be one of comfort, not evil. Rest from your toils now."

Caleban continues to slowly move towards the undead.

stack
2014-05-03, 01:20 PM
Hmm, bit of history here. I know there was some dark business in the past, foggy on the details.history untrained [roll0]

need more skillpoints!

Bhaakon
2014-05-04, 02:21 AM
"You took them from the mad bird's hands?" The wight murmurs, reaching out to touch the disks. As his gloved hands brush the first of them, the hatred and magic binding the skeleton together begin to unravel. Bones and armor plates clatter to the ground as the wight falls to pieces.

"The keys. My castle once more....I can sleep...." Wheezes the skull as its orbits go dark.

XP
650 each, for defeating the wight, which in turn deactivates a pair of haunts (the on you found upstairs and one you haven't encountered yet.

Loot
Dragon helm (250gp)
MW Greatsword
+1 greatsword

You pick your way past the fallen wight and long-dead corpses of his men to find a staircase down and pair of private rooms--a utilitarian office, now in complete disarray, and a spartan bedroom for a single occupant. Both are largely intact, but dusty and unused. Nothing of value remains,neither treasure nor information. Burnt scraps of paper in the small iron heating stove show that the guard captain at least had time to burn his most important records before whatever attacked Brinewall slaughtered him and his men.

Once you've finished rifling the smaller chambers, all that's left is the staircase. You thought you'd cleared the dungeons beneath the keep, but you never found the bottom of this stairway. With all due caution, you head down. It's winding, but wide enough for two to walk comfortably side-by side, and deep. At least twice as many steps down as the other stairways you've explored.

You're just completing the third spiral of the stairway when it terminates in a wall of solid stone.

stack
2014-05-04, 01:30 PM
As the guard disappears, "An honorable man I would know his tail, should we have a chance." He studies the fallen equipment.detect magic, takeb10 on spellcraft for 20

"Magic blade."

He checks the wall for enchantment, then for a place to insert the discs.

ProudGrognard
2014-05-04, 01:52 PM
Caleban

As the undead warrior fades from existence, Caleban makes the sign of Desna in the air. A soul released to its afterlife. That felt good. His spirit curiously uplifted, he follows Lethos down, until he reaches the end of the stairs. He takes a look around and calls to the others.

"Now what, neighbors? Give us the benefit of your intelligence."

Perception 1d20+10

Damn, say take 10 for 20

Morbis Meh
2014-05-05, 09:54 AM
Jayn smirks as the undead thingy crumbles and casts a snarky glance at Za'an "Aww, looks like you don't get to play with your holy symbol today, maybe better luck tomorrow?" Following down the staircase after the other two, the halfblood witch regards the wall with a dull look of annoyance "Well my thoughts on this are thus: Either this is an illusion which is simple enough to bypass, poor architecture which we can't do anything about or a recent addition to keep something out or seal something in. If it isn't an illusion then someone gets the joy of breaking down a wall, hope you brought a pick axe!"

Starbin
2014-05-05, 05:53 PM
Za'an watched silently as the wight disappeared, raising an eyebrow with the ease with which the threat was dealt with. He murmured, to himself mostly, "Well played ..."

After checking the dead warrior's equipment, the group continued to search, finding little of value. Eventually, they found themselves at the bottom of a long staircase with a blank wall. He, too, cast about, searching for signs of a locking mechanism, or clues that the wall did not exist. He heard his sister's comments, but he did not take the bait. Instead he ignored her and her smoking monkey, reaching out to see if the wall felt solid.

Spellcraft for the sword: [roll0]. Perception check on the wall, taking 10 (23).

Bhaakon
2014-05-10, 06:48 PM
The wall feels solid, cool, and slightly damp, like all the stone on the other two sides of the stairway. Simple divination reveal that all is not exactly as it appears: the stone writhes subtly with transmutation magic, an enchantment keyed by two shallow depressions in the flanking walls. Seeing that they're precisely the same size as the two disks, you set the keys into place.

Magical circuit completed, the dead-end wall of stone shudders and sags, melting into the floor to reveal a shadowy room of smooth stone, spattered with ancient bloodstains and deep, violent gouges. Drifts of dust lie on the floor, while immense stone doors hang open to the southwest, revealing a pair of empty vaults beyond.

Before you can enter to study the space further, the dust clinging to the walls and ceilings shifts and flows, born on a breeze that you can't feel. It gatherings in the center of the room and forms into the shape of a Tian man, old but not stooped, cloaked in shadow and eastern-style armor. The inky-black figure whips a katana made of the same shadow-stuff as his body and adopts a defensive stand.

DC 16 Religion
It's a wraith, dread undead creature that sucks out the very life of its prey with its touch. They dislike light, and are staggered and unable to attack when exposed to the sun. Those killed by a wraith return as its spawn.

DC 25 Perception check [DC 17 for Jayn]
Perhaps its just the creature's obvious Tian features--not many travelers from the Eastern continent make their way through Sandpoint--but you swear that the this thing bears a resemblance to Amieko.

@Jayn
You recognize this man. You've never met him, but you saw his likeness in a dusty-old portrait in the Kaijitsu family manor house in Sandpoint (the one Amieko hardly ever uses, spending most nights in her personal suite at the Rusty Dragon). The name plate read "Roruko Kaijitsu."

ProudGrognard
2014-05-10, 11:34 PM
EDIT: Damn, wrong forum!

Perception [roll0]
Religion [roll1]

Caleban
HP 29 AC 19 Prot. from Evil

"Careful now neighbors, this is a wraith. It kills by touching and creates more of its own"

By then Caleban has takes a closer look. This thing looked like Ameiko. How could that....

And then it all comes together. The Grandfather who knows himself not. Well, if it worked once.

"Grandfather. We are not your enemies. we are here to help your granddaughter. Ameiko she is called and she is suffering. Spare us your wrath and retire from this world. You are causing your family distress. Let us pass."

If that does not work, then cast, activate and have a go.

stack
2014-05-11, 09:09 PM
(actions assuming talking fails)

Lethos immediately conjures a defensive ward, placing himself in the front, next to Caleban.casting shield
enhancing blade to +2

Lethos Far-wanderer (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=528595)
M N Elf magus (black blade), Level 4, Init +6, HP 23/30, Speed 30
AC 21, Touch 14, Flat-footed 17, CMD 18, Fort +5, Ref +5, Will +4, CMB +4, Base Attack Bonus 3
Black Blade Elven dueling saber +1 (rapier w/ Slashing) +8 (1d6+5, 18-20x2)
Longbow +1 +8 (1d8+1, x3)
studded leather, shield spell (+3 Armor, +4 Shield, +4 Dex)
Abilities Str 13, Dex 19, Con 12, Int 16, Wis 10, Cha 8
Condition +1 to blade
shield
Black Blade: INT 11 WIS 7 CHA 7
Ego 5
Speaks Common
Arcane Pool: 1/1
Alertness, black blade strike, telepathy, unbreakable

Bhaakon
2014-05-12, 01:03 AM
The wraith's eyes, ebony spheres with barest points of crimson in their centers, bulge as the half-orc addresses it. Its sword waivers, then falls from nerveless fingers, dissolving into a clouds of black dust that roils across the stone floor to rejoin the thing's body. The hilt instantly reforms in its empty sheath, ready to draw once more.

"Ameiko... granddaughter?" it hisses in a tone of confusion. "Have no... grandchildren..."

It holds its ground, but doesn't move to attack.

ProudGrognard
2014-05-12, 03:47 AM
Caleban

Caleban is really hanging by a thread in this discussion. Most people did not realize that he had a quick and perceptive mind. He was pushing it now, guessing and hoping.

But was not exactly this that Desna, the Lady of Stars, decries? Chaos is a friend. His path was clear.

"You had children, Elder, did you not? Did you not sacrifice everything for them, even honor? You did save them. They lived and they prospered. And now your great grand child, the last of your line, is just a few miles away, seared in body and mind. We are here to save her, to cure her. We are here to tell you your vigil is no longer required. Your line is safe. Or will be, if you let us pass and move on to your final reward."

Morbis Meh
2014-05-12, 10:53 AM
Jayn can't garner much features from the bloody inky mess before her, maybe it was the hooch or maybe she just didn't like staring at a cloud of death. If Cael could pick out its features then she surmised that he probably was telling the truth, stepping forward so she would be seen Jayn puts on a very serious face and addresses the shadow in Tian "Honoured Elder, we come with no intentions of harm or sacrilege to your resting place. If my friend here says you hold resemblance to my dear friend then I believe him, Ameiko Kaijitsu is my dearest of friends and she has fallen under a mysterious illness. I would sacrifice all that I have for her recovery and I ask you my Lord also give pause and reflect on your family line. She is the last of your house and is in great need, I ask no beg you to give us aid for her sake. Losing her is akin to losing myself." Moving slowly Jayn gets on her knees and prostrates herself before the shade, not knowing if it would be of any help but she remembered Ameiko lecturing her on the finer points of Tian etiquette.

Maybe third time is a charm? Or maybe I shall get three 5's in a row? If this was risk I would be doing pretty well :smallbiggrin:
[roll0] this is more of an aid action towards Cael so maybe, just maybe a DC of 10 is possible?

Bhaakon
2014-05-13, 01:20 AM
"Longiku...lived?" The creature whispers, tears of shadow-stuff welling up and running down its cheeks on their way to the ground, where they evaporate into little puffs of dust.

"Then all is....not lost." It straightens up and clinches its hands into fists to hide their shaking, the shade's pride driving it to maintain a strong appearance even as it weeps openly. "Take the Seal away from here—take it to my grandchild...Its magic is powerful for those of my house...it might help her." Rokuro Kaijitsu's wraith points its hand not at the plundered treasuries behind it, but at a blank expanse of carved stone wall to its left.

"I am no longer worthy of guarding it...not like...this." he finishes, his hissing voice diminishing to nothing as his form drifts apart. In a few second there's nothing left of Rokuro's wraith but a layer of dust on the floor.

XP
400 each

The spirit of Ameiko's grandfather dispersed, you turn your attention to the spot on the wall he indicated. You might have missed the subtle fault in the stone if you hadn't been given the hint. It looks natural enough, and maybe it originally was, but some clever craftsman has used the faint seam in the stone to hide the outline of a hidden door. Fortunately, that ancient master didn't put as much effort into the lock as he did the disguise. Kasuka runs his nimble fingers along the crack and finds the hidden catch, and, with a little bit of effort, the stone slab swings out to reveal a shallow cache just large enough to hold three chests.

Kasuka reaches forward gingerly, suspecting that such an easy entrance implies the presence of traps most deadly (it's what he'd do, naturally), but before he can even give the chests a proper inspection they pop open of their own accord, their rusted locks apparently failing at precisely the same moment.

You carefully reach inside to extract the contents, a collection of interesting items, but none more so than a red-lacquered puzzle box entwined by an serpent-bodied dragon in the Tian style. The container isn't large--little more than a hand's span in any direction--but positively thrums with abjuration magic.

Loot
Red-lacquered puzzle box, unopened
This item is a warding box, a minor artifact of great power bent to a singular purpose. Whatever is contained within the box is utterly hidden from divination by any being short of a god (and perhaps even then). The enchantment is so focused on concealment that the box isn't even magically sealed. The only thing protecting its contents from exposure is a simple puzzle of sliding panels that can be worked out in a matter of seconds once you know the trick. Once open it breaks into three sections, each capable of holding (and hiding) and item about the size of a clinched fist
One set of sealskin boots, fringed with the white fur of an arctic fox
Boots of the Winterlands (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/a-b/boots-of-the-winterlands)
A sturdy canvas sack cinched tight by a simple leather thong
Bag of holding Type I (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/a-b/bag-of-holding), empty
A fist-sized silver paperweight in the form of a stylized raven perched on a dead limb
Figurine of Wonderous Power, Silver Raven (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/e-g/figurines-of-wondrous-power/silver-raven-figurine-of-wondrous-power)

Starbin
2014-05-13, 05:59 AM
Za'an watched as yet again, diplomacy proves successful in dealing with the animated dead. Whatever pain and suffering had occurred in this castle, it had been powerful enough to create a number of phantasms that were lasting and strong in nature. For once (or twice, rather), it seemed that simply fulfilling old promises was enough.

As the creature cried before dissipating, Za'an considered his own sister as she kneeled before this thing, wondering at their own legacy. Would they have been able to find such peace if their sister had been turned into such a mockery of life? Would they ever be able to forgive each other for the sins of the past? Would they ever be brother and sister in reality, vice name only? Only time would tell ... perhaps not even then.

Turning away from the events at hand, from the final gasp of long-lost pain and suffering, he focused on checking his weapons. As his companions moved forward to see what lay beyond the wall, he finally turned to follow them. At the sight of the items within, he frowned, uncertain what they were exactly, or what they were for.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Za'an shook his head, uncertainly. "I do not know what the other items are, but the small bag there holds more than it appears; it is an extra-dimensional construct of sorts designed for holding items in a portable, magical space."

Morbis Meh
2014-05-13, 09:50 AM
Jayn rose slowly *Tian*"Thank you my Lord, I shall bring the artifact to her as soon as possible and I will continue to watch over her. May you find peace and return to your loved ones on the other side knowing your line continues." Once the secret cache was revealed, the witch focused in immediately on the box, she sensed that this was what the Wraith was speaking of and swiftly claimed it. Tracing her fingers over its delicate features she smiles ironically over its design, a puzzle box similar to the one Ameiko had. She had taught Jayn the trick to it some time ago and now the half blooded witch silently thanked the spirits for that knowledge.

"Take what you desire but we need to get this to Ameiko at once." Caring not for the others decisions she turns around and begins walking back the way she came.

stack
2014-05-13, 11:06 AM
Lethos forces down the voices grumbling about another battle circumvented by talk, instead turning his attention to the new-found items.aid another for the box, auto-pass DC 10
boots [roll0]
raven [roll1]

ProudGrognard
2014-05-13, 11:56 AM
Caleban

Caleban formally bows to the undead as it dissolves and once again prays to Desna for its soul. Not bad. Not bad at all. Twice on a row. He then helps the others in handling the various items that were to be found.

When Jayn takes the item and starts to leave, Caleban turns a frown at her.

"Where are you going, neighbor? Are you quite sure we are done here? That the road above is clear? What will happen if you get ambushed halfway up the courtyard and the Seal is stolen? Ever think of that?

Not to mention that we are not sure this is what causing 's Ameiko 's distress. We must finish exploring the castle. We will look foolish, dangerously so, if we have to come back."

Isn't there a room yet unexplored?

Starbin
2014-05-13, 09:11 PM
Za'an glanced at the half-orc with a bit of a sneer on his face. "I am uncertain what other areas you wish to peruse, but our mission was to return to Ameiko with the cure, before her madness is permanent. What better reason for swift action than an urgent matter?"

Weapons and gear gathered, the priest prepared to follow his sister back to the town, both probably equally anxious to be done with the task.

stack
2014-05-13, 09:32 PM
"Boots would be useful for cold weather travel."

"An empty box...if you are certain that it holds the key to her cure...I would not wish to be wrong. It certainly is the most powerful item we have encountered...there are few enough places to search now. And it was in the vaults...yes, let us go immediately."

ProudGrognard
2014-05-13, 11:36 PM
Caleban

"You are correct, both of you. But wait for us, neighbor. There is strength in numbers."

Caleban makes ready to return. On the way back, he makes a point to greet the little Desnian in the cemetery and to pray there.

Morbis Meh
2014-05-14, 09:15 AM
Jayn would have been shocked to hear her brother support her but she was fully engrossed in studying the box, the comment from Lethos particularly was suspicious. Suddenly the answer came to her "...By the Spirits this is an Artifact, it isn't empty at all, it is concealing something inside! No wonder our divinations have failed, this box is designed to hide its contents from anything short of a god. A very useful item to be sure and they only security keeping it's contents safe is an old puzzle. Gods I was about to open the bloody thing but now I will only do so in the presence of Ameiko, who knows what is watching this thing."

stack
2014-05-14, 11:13 AM
"Very well."

Bhaakon
2014-05-14, 02:29 PM
Once you're sure that there's nothing left in the castle but dust and bodies, you head back to the caravan. You stop briefly in the cemetery, to share word of your success with Spivey. The lyrakien takes the news about as you might expect, flitting about in an aerobatic display of excitement that leaves you a bit nauseous just watching. One wonders if she could pull off so many consecutive loops if outsiders needed to eat.

But you're eager to move on, and the little Desnan is eager to see that the despoiled chapel you described in the castle is properly cleansed. It seems like a great deal of work for one so tiny, but then the excitable Lyrakien seems to draw on a bottomless pool of energy. You part after delaying just long enough for Caleban to finish praying at the shrine to Desna.

The brief celebration of your return to the caravan quickly turns tense as it becomes clear that you have no simple tincture or scroll of healing to cast over Ameiko.

"Are you sure you didn't miss something?" Mutters Eirik. "Accidentally killed the one who cast this curse?" His accusation carries just enough of an edge to let you know that he's not entirely joking.

ProudGrognard
2014-05-14, 02:37 PM
Caleban

"Noone volunteered to tell us whether he cast any curses, you peacock! They were busy trying to put us in their stomachs. But the few truly cursed souls we saw, we liberated. We were told that the Seal carries power in this family. I say we open the hiding box and see. Nothing moreto do..."

Caleban is also visibly worried.

Morbis Meh
2014-05-14, 02:39 PM
Jayn glares daggers at the accuser "If you feel our efforts were inadequate feel free to saunter back to the keep and see for yourself. I didn't see you there aiding us so you have no right to cast aspersions; besides we have this..." She holds the lacquered box in the palm of her hands "The box itself is a relic designed to veil the identity of its contents and if one felt it necessary to keep such an item undiscovered then it must be powerful indeed. Now enough of this idle banter, I must see Ameiko at once, I only dare open this box in her presence."

stack
2014-05-15, 11:10 AM
"I hope what it contains will be the cure and not a further danger." Lethos stays beside the box, blade ready should it prove perilous.

Bhaakon
2014-05-17, 05:56 PM
"A mysterious box, you say?" Replies the bard, raising a skeptical eyebrow. "Sounds...um, promising...?"

But Jayn isn't stopping to talk. She marches the puzzle box to Koya's carriage and opens the door without even bothering to knock. Inside Ameiko remains comatose, skin wan and breathe shallow. Koya just sits and watches her patient, having long since exhausted her magic in vain attempts to fight whatever ails Ameiko.

She, too is initially surprised by the box, but quickly quiets her questions once she sense the strong magic pouring off the object. She retreats outside, to make room for Jayn to work in the tight space. The half-elf wastes no time in opening the container, sliding around lacquered panels so that the image of a guardian dragon wrapped tightly around the box seems to settle into a sleepy loop of coils around its base. The top unseals with a soft puff of stale air escaping and Jayn lifts it off to reveal a golden seal stamp topped with a figurine of a coiled Imperial dragon breathing fire. Minkaian characters circle the base of the seal, spelling out the name "Amatatsu." Strangely, even those unfamiliar with the language of distant Minkai have no trouble reading the inscription.

Magic shines off the seal brightly enough to be seen by the unaided eye, rippling around the golden stamp like a heat haze in a sun-baked desert. The aura surges forth as Jayn reaches in to extract the artifact, filling the cramped interior of the carriage with kaleidoscopic light and demanding your attention no matter how desperately you try to close your eyes or turn away.

The colors resolve into an image, a forest, vast and ancient. The trees are thick and tangled, draped everywhere with moss and lichen, and of species unfamiliar in Varisia. A horde of strange fiends—terrible creatures with burning skin, glaring eyes, and sharp tusks, wearing strange armor and wielding exotic weapons—storm out from between the shrouded trunks to descend upon fields and cities populated by Tian people.

Next a young man dressed in rich red and yellow silks sits idly enjoying a simple but perfectly manicured garden. The youth could be anyone of noble blood, but somehow you know that the symbols on his dress mark him out as royalty, Emperor Shigure of Minkai. As you watch a second man approaches, greeting the Emperor as a friend. But once Shigure has lowered his guard, the second man draws a sword and treacherously runs the Emperor through from behind. The killer's head rocks back with roiling laughter, and, as you watch, his disguise melts away to reveal a towering figure in a spiked and jagged suit of jade armor, fearsome mask and scaled gloves hiding any hint of his identity or race.

Then a Tian man in the late twenties--Rokuro Kaijitsu, though, somehow, you know that his real name is Amatatsu Tsutoku, a title abandoned when he fled his homeland with his family. He's gaunt with hunger and bent with exhaustion, dressed in filthy furs to guard against the cold. He hesitates a moment before removing a sword from his belt--a weapon every bit as exquisite and well cared for as Rokuro is threadbare and beaten down. "Deal, Master Snaevald" he croaks in broken Skald as he hands the weapon across a table to an merchant and scoops up a hefty sack of coin. Rokuro quickly turns and rushes out the door, unwilling to watch the northman clumsily draw Suishen and waive the intelligent katana about as if it were a common broadsword.

Finally you see Ameiko, resplendent in robes fit for an Empress. She's lounging casually in a ornate throne carved from a single perfect block of imperial jade. The Amatatsu Seal rests on a small desk beside the throne, ready to leave its official stamp on any laws or edict Empress Ameiko cares to make.

As the visions fade you're left with a parting impression, a sense of the seal's powers and limitations. How it might be used to aid the Amatatsu family and its retainers, the last surviving branch of the five Imperial bloodlines of Minkai.

Amatatsu Seal
This stone statuette of a dragon is one of five royal seals of Minkai, and represents the Amatatsu family’s divine right to rule the empire of Minkai.

The Amatatsu Seal has a daily allotment of 5 charges that it can use to cast the following spells on an Amatatsu scion (ie: Ameiko) or his/her retainers: cure serious wounds, remove curse, remove disease, or restoration. Each casting uses up 1 daily charge. Alternatively, the seal can cast heal, but doing so expends all 5 charges. Finally, and only at the seal’s discretion, it can cast resurrection on an Amatatsu scion, but doing so renders its spellcasting powers useless for a month.

The Amatatsu Seal itself radiates strong magic, and those with the proper resources can sense this magic across oceans and continents, allowing it to be tracked across any distance. Originally meant to allow its rightful owners the ability to track it if stolen, this feature makes it dangerous to remove the seal from its warding box, for as long as the warding box is open, anyone looking for the seal and its bearer may track it.

One final ward exists on the Amatatsu Seal, confounding attempts to whisk it quickly away from its homeland but also making returning a stolen seal home an arduous task. The Amatatsu Seal can never be transported by teleportation magic or dimensional travel. It cannot be taken from the Material Plane save via special portals blessed by the gods, and characters who carry the seal cannot cast or otherwise use teleportation effects.

By the time your head has cleared enough to properly register your surroundings, Ameiko is sitting bolt upright in Koya's cot, eyes wide in amazement. "That wasn't a dream, right? Tell me you saw it, too."

stack
2014-05-17, 09:36 PM
Lethos nods silently. No, it was no dream. Minkai...Minkai. Where my heart longs to go, where every hope and fear left in this world lays. My past, my life...my children.

Or my revenge?

It is long road. Dangerous.

Only the strongest warrior could pass.

To raise a queen is bloody work indeed.

Make us proud.

Make us proud.
Make me proud.

ProudGrognard
2014-05-17, 11:41 PM
Caleban

Caleban watches in awe as the vision fades. He has a strong mind, but some things are too much. He remains silent for a while, watching Ameiko stand up. He then begins to talk, addressing no one in particular.

"You all know I am the servant of Desna. I am not her cleric, but I am her weapon. It is my life 's work to walk the dark roads, making them safe for those who would take them after me.My Lady rules chance, traveling, freedom, dreaming, the beauty of the night sky.

Thus I say this, Ameiko. It is chance that brought me in this trip, but chance 's is my Lady 's weapon. Your destiny, it seems, is to be found at the end of a long journey, and there is a dream to catch when you get there.

I believe I am to walk this road with you. Chance, dream, travel. Darkness. My Lady has blessed you. I cannot but follow you there. If you will have me."

Bhaakon
2014-05-18, 02:50 AM
"Blessed me?" Ameiko grimaces, the same look she'd made that memorable time last spring when she'd been fool enough to attempt the Hagfish challenge (the one she'd made immediately before spewing half a tankard of stale seawater and hagfish slime across the bar. Good times). "I left my father's mansion for a barstool, Cal. What makes you think I'd want to trade back up to the Jade Throne? Being crushed under the bureaucracy of running a kingdom, or, worse, locked up in a gilded cage isn't my idea of a life. If those people would even have me, some foreign-born scoundrel who speaks her mother tongue with a thick Varisian accent." She shakes her head.

@Lethos, Jayn
Her accent would be noticeable to a native speaker, but 'thick' is a bit of an exaggeration. She could lose it with practice, you're sure.

"I'd like to get my grandfather's sword from this 'Snaevald,' whoever he is, but after that...no. No crown for me, no tiaras, no thrones, no imperial seals. Lock that thing back up in its box and bury it in the cellar of the Rusty Dragon."

Hearing this from outside the carriage, Eirik frowns. "I know of him, I think. Fynn Snaevald. He's an old man now, a very rich old man, in Karlsgard. He'd been near to ninety, but was still alive when I...er...began my whirlwind tour of these fine southern latitudes. I don't know if he'll sell the sword, though. He's a collector, not a dealer, if you catch my meaning." The bard shakes his head. "He trades amber and whale oil, but never his antiquities."

ProudGrognard
2014-05-18, 10:34 AM
Caleban

Caleban only looks at Ameiko with what would be gentleness in another face.

"Ameiko, blessings come in many shapes. I can only hope that you will have the choice. Empires are not things one can avoid or ignore. But I will be there for you, if you want me.

But first things first. Welcome back! You really scared us. And yes, let us go and get your sword back.

But first of all, let's put this seal back in its box. I have the feeling that we just made an announcement, and I would not want to see who heard it. And we should move."

stack
2014-05-18, 08:01 PM
Lethos slowly comes out of his thoughts. "The road to this man lies North, does it not? I will go, though I will not return. I have business far down that road. Debts to pay."

Morbis Meh
2014-05-19, 01:11 AM
Jayn remains silent, taking in all that she had just witnessed, but shakes out of her stupor long enough to quickly place the seal back in the box and away from prying eyes. The witch remains silent for a while allowing the others to speak but she doesn't hear their words too wrapped up with her own thoughts. What have I stepped into now... Demons and Tian-Xia... Ameiko, Royalty? The Divines protect us. Exhaling deeply, Jayn, looks at her friend and oddly lowers her eyes while holding out the box "I believe this belongs to you your highness... You can run from a birth right but that doesn't mean it will not find you. You like many others before you have a choice: You can forsake your heritage and remain as a tavern proprietress or you can reclaim what was once yours both paths will end in blood spent but no matter the choice I will remain at your side. You saved my life once during my darkest days and I will not abandon you during yours."

Moving slowly, the half elf lowers herself and goes into a proper bow <Tian>"My life, much like my heart are yours milady, I almost lost you and I never wish it to happen again. If you wish to go back to the home of your ancestors I will go with you and aid you in whatever ways you deem useful."</Tian>

Starbin
2014-05-19, 03:30 PM
Za'an watched the vision with great interest, and no small amount of surprise. To think that the woman who seemed to feed Jayn's addiction was actually royalty. Of course, she had turned her back on that life when it was simply local nobility ... what chance she would want to embrace it when it involved the rule of an entire empire? He nodded slightly to himself when Ameiko confirmed his suspicions, but remained silent as the others all jumped at a chance to journey to Tian and 'take back what was lost.' Fools ... they had no idea what they were getting into, nor why they were doing it ... except it seemed expected. He was sure his sister was smarter than all that, but when she spoke, he blinked, nonplussed.

He obviously didn't realize the depth of her devotion to the heir-turned-bartender, and there was more than a little jealousy that someone who wasn't family would hold a dearer place in Jayn's heart than her own brother. But as quickly as it came, it was gone. He sighed, shaking his head slightly as he stood to the side. He knew he would end up going - he had made his own promises afterall - but it wasn't something he looked forward to. If anyone looked at him, he simply shrugged his shoulders. "I suppose I shall accompany you all, if nothing more than to learn a bit more about Tian-Xia."

Bhaakon
2014-05-19, 05:19 PM
"You win, Jayn, Cal. I'll go to Minkai and look into this business, at least. It should be a worthwhile adventure, crossing half of Golarion to deal with an assassin and an army of fiends. Just the kind of crazy trip Koya's been pining for the last few years." She sighs in mock exasperation. As little as the idea of ruling a nation appeals to the woman, there's no denying that Amieko's interest is piqued.

"But call be 'your highness' again and I'll dump vinegar in your bottles, Jayn. Now let me up, I need to stretch my legs. It feels like I haven't been out of bed in days..."

stack
2014-05-19, 09:19 PM
"Then you will have my blade for the journey."

A half-smile cracks the elf's grim demeanor, "Your highness." He offers a hand to help her up. "Careful xiao meimei*, need to let the blood come back before trying to stand on you own."

little sister

Bhaakon
2014-05-19, 09:39 PM
"But not mine, I fear." Mumbles Eirik dourly from the rear of the gathering. "I...well, I traveled south for a reason, and I fear that a return to my homeland would be most uncomfortable for myself and my relations alike."

"I'll share whatever tales of Karlsgard you wish to hear before I leave you, but I fear that I will not be accompanying you any further north than this spot." He finishes, flush with embarrassment and anger.

stack
2014-05-19, 09:49 PM
Lethos clasps Eric's forearm. "Farewell then, may your paths be straight. I am glad to have known you."

ProudGrognard
2014-05-20, 12:05 AM
Caleban

Caleban gives Eirik a mightly clasp.

"OK, you Ulfen peacock. I will see you in Sandpoint then. Tell them what we did, if it is successful!"

Morbis Meh
2014-05-20, 10:10 AM
Jayn smirks "You say that now but when we're on a ship with no land on sight you'll regret spoiling my good stuff when all there is to drink to that swill sailors chug. There's also no need to get feisty, after all I should really practice etiquette considering we are heading to court." The witch's face goes sullen "You haven't been out of bed for days, you almost died so take it slow you invalid or else I will have carry you around on a stretcher."

LibraryOgre
2014-05-20, 10:26 AM
The Mod Wonder: Closed for Length. Restart if you haven't already. I suggest copy/pasting this threads location for reference.