PDA

View Full Version : "Under the Red Sky" IC Pathfinder E6

Pages : [1] 2 3

Stormageddon
2013-04-12, 01:43 AM
“I know not why the shorter lived races of this world throw themselves about the wilds. The lord protects us within the walls of our blessed city. One is forced to conclude that they devalue their short lives. The greatest offender is the dwarfs of Albania not content with the dangers of the wilds they dig ever deeper into the Eth’s underground facing untold dangers. So far from the light of the lord surely this must be the greatest of heresies.”

-From the Journal of High Imperial Priest of Oston, Elisistra in the year of our lord 604

Year 804 AC April 8th

From different areas and different lives fate has bound you together on a journey to the city of New Orcus. From Merryburg you were hired on to guard a merchant caravan lead by a particularly fat Halfling named Vaul who is bringing a small shipment of food to the city of New Orcus. A small caravan of two carts and five other guards. You have been assigned to rear guard. You have come to know Vaul as a relaxed and fair employer, but tight with the purse and a constant business man. The journey has been very quiet, You are traveling south and have just entered into the deep forest of Camary where no light pierces the canopy of the woods. The expected arrival time to New Orcus is 2 days and everybody’s nerves are on edge or bored from lack of action.

Smileybastard
2013-04-12, 03:26 AM
Tysalat

Tysalat walks along with the caravan admiring the wonders of the deep forest. As a precaution he has cast light on his bastard sword, but has it sheathed so that he can see the forest as is it.

perception[roll0]

BarnabasBailey
2013-04-12, 05:26 AM
Maechus Satella definitely fell under the "bored from lack of action" camp. As happy as he was to actually have work available, what with the remains of his savings already depleted just trying to get to Merryburg, caravan duty was just plain dull. At least they were headed to someplace exciting. New Orcus was one of the biggest cities he knew about; if ever there was a place where he could properly research swordplay, it would be there.

So, as it was, Maechus contented himself as always with marching along in back, his shield strapped to one arm and his trusty book of fencing in his other hand. Idly he flipped through the pages with his thumb, poring over the information for what had to be the third time this trip. Every now and then, he would tear his eyes off of the book to scan the horizon.

1d20+1 Perception check

Saidoro
2013-04-12, 08:32 AM
Kona fidgeted as she walked, her head swinging around to see in every direction and occasionally glancing down to her hands to ensure they remained free of her sleeves. She had certainly been in danger before and had helped to defend the farm now and again, but being directly responsible for so many people was a new feeling for her, and even with these others around to share the burden she was not finding it an enjoyable one.
Perception:[roll0]

JackRose
2013-04-12, 10:01 AM
Rupert strummed his mandolin as he walked along, glancing about occasionally at the forest. As it grew dimmer, he stooped and picked up three pebbles. Murmuring a cantrip over each, he kindled a light in them, and tucked them into his pocket. Finally, he cast Light on his Mandolin, illuminating the area around him.

"So, friend," he said, turning to the nervous-looking woman, "Why are you bound for New Orcus?"

[roll0]

White_Drake
2013-04-12, 10:01 AM
Caelain strolled along oblivious to the world around him, puzzling over a new strain of mutagen he was attempting to perfect. While he walked he absent-mindedly tossed a dagger from one hand to another. Upon his shoulder perched the cat Tybalt, who lazily surveyed the surrounding forests. Caelain had joined the caravan to get to the border with more protection that would have been possible alone, hoping to pursue his goals there.
[roll0] Caelain's perception [roll1] Tybalt's perception

Stormageddon
2013-04-12, 12:16 PM
Rupert strummed his mandolin as he walked along, glancing about occasionally at the forest. As it grew dimmer, he stooped and picked up three pebbles. Murmuring a cantrip over each, he kindled a light in them, and tucked them into his pocket. Finally, he cast Light on his Mandolin, illuminating the area around him.

"So, friend," he said, turning to the nervous-looking woman, "Why are you bound for New Orcus?"

[roll0]

As you approach the woman, you catch a glimpse of movement in the forest.

Stormageddon
2013-04-12, 12:19 PM
Caelain strolled along oblivious to the world around him, puzzling over a new strain of mutagen he was attempting to perfect. While he walked he absent-mindedly tossed a dagger from one hand to another. Upon his shoulder perched the cat Tybalt, who lazily surveyed the surrounding forests. Caelain had joined the caravan to get to the border with more protection that would have been possible alone, hoping to pursue his goals there.
[roll0] Caelain's perception [roll1] Tybalt's perception

Tybalt tenses up on your shoulder. He lets out a hiss before launching himself off your shoulder, and making a mad dash under the cart.

Stormageddon
2013-04-12, 12:23 PM
The loud hiss of the cat is heard by everyone.

Saidoro
2013-04-12, 12:34 PM
Kona flinches slightly as the unexpected speech interrupts her vigil but recovers quickly and turns to the man with a smile.
I was-
The girl's speech is then interrupted by Tybalt's hiss and she scans her surroundings for the reason for the cat's warning.

BarnabasBailey
2013-04-12, 01:27 PM
Maechus looked up from his book with an expression somewhere between "What?" and "Oh, now what?" "Ah, what's the matter, kitty? Somebody step on your tail?"

With a sigh, Maechus stowed away his book and leaned down to look under the cart as he walked. "It's all right, Mister Tiddles," he said, completely forgetting the cat's actual name. "Nothing out here's gonna hurt you. Ain't that right, guys?" He smiled a smile that he fancied might be reassuring to cats, though he had no practical experience trying to do so.

JackRose
2013-04-12, 01:33 PM
"I'm not so certain. I believe I saw something in the woods," Rupert said. He put his mandolin into his backpack, and uncoiled the whip from his hip. "And as Mother Hawkins was want to say, a cautions is better taken unneeded than needed untaken."

Smileybastard
2013-04-12, 01:37 PM
Tysalat

Tysalat snaps to alertness when he hears the cat hiss, more thinking the cat is being attacked than anything.

After hearing Ruperts comment he focuses his attention in the direction he cat is looking and draws his sword it's shining light illuminating the area.

Perception [roll0]

Anyone else see anything?

White_Drake
2013-04-12, 02:43 PM
Caelain stumbles back cursing under his breath as Tybalt streaks towards the cart, nearly stabbing himself in the process. After picking up his knife from the ground he turns to the other guards. It may be prudent of us to exercise caution. It seems unlikely that Tybalt's reaction was due to a benevolent creature.
1d20-1 Perception check

Smileybastard
2013-04-12, 02:59 PM
Tysalat

Tysalat gets keeps his eyes into the woods.
Tybalt ... your cat? I would assume that if it saw a fox he might react that way, unless he is more than a cat.

White_Drake
2013-04-12, 03:14 PM
Caelain directs his attention towards Tysalat, and replies in a slightly irritated tone: The first time he did something like this I thought much the same, and then I was beset by a pack of undead. And what do you mean by that anyway? "More than a cat", any creature superior to a cat would have to be truly extraordinary; it might even be called into question whether such a being exists.

Stormageddon
2013-04-12, 03:20 PM
Several tense seconds pass by of deadly silence pass only to be interrupted by a cry of "SQUEEEE!"

Hell breaks loss in the caravan. You see in the front of the caravan a guard goes down with his face smash in by a rock. Another is hit in the back of the head and falls over.

One bullet comes speeding at each of you.

Kona [roll0] touch attack, If attack succeeds fort save DC 13 if fail nauseated for two rounds

Tysalat [roll1] Same as above

Caelain [roll2] same

Rupert [roll3] same

Maechus [roll4] same

You can see the enemy now 5 short reptilian creatures walking on two legs. They are drawing spears and preparing to charge. Also three of the largest rats you have ever seen with eyes glowing red. Have just been unleashed.

Stormageddon
2013-04-12, 03:25 PM
If the bullets hit they explode into a gas!

Smileybastard
2013-04-12, 03:26 PM
Tysalat

Tysalat glances towards Caelain momentarily and back to the woods.
Cats are indeed amazing creatures and I meant no slight, but I imagine he has acted that way around far less threatening things as well.

As to more than a cat I mean as in a mage's familiar.

Diplomacy Roll towards Caelain [roll0]

Smileybastard
2013-04-12, 03:31 PM
Tysalat

fort save [roll0]
Save failed so he is nausiated.

Tysalat pulls out his shield and back up a few steps trying not to wretch.
Oh Lord what is that?

White_Drake
2013-04-12, 04:02 PM
Caelain staggers backwards, gagging on the stench of the noxious vapors enwreathing his head.

Saidoro
2013-04-12, 05:05 PM
Kona staggers out of the choking cloud, her eyes clenched against the stinging gas. As she walks free her eyes snap open and fix on the largest group of assailants. Fire dances along her arms and at a word leaps forth to envelop their enemies.
Kal Vokun!
Burning Flash with the Burst shape on the 2 kobolds and 1 dire rat, DC 14 reflex for half damage.
Damage: [roll0]

Stormageddon
2013-04-12, 06:15 PM
Kona staggers out of the choking cloud, her eyes clenched against the stinging gas. As she walks free her eyes snap open and fix on the largest group of assailants. Fire dances along her arms and at a word leaps forth to envelop their enemies.
Kal Vokun!
Burning Flash with the Burst shape on the 2 kobolds and 1 dire rat, DC 14 reflex for half damage.

Flames engulf one of the scaly creatures leaving nothing but a pile of ask in its wake. The second reptilian creature jumps aside, but is still badly burned. It now looks like it is reconsidering its life choices.

The large red eyed rat now badly burned, eyes you with anger.

BarnabasBailey
2013-04-12, 06:22 PM
Maechus' efforts to lull the cat out of hiding fell on deaf ears, and the momentary distraction was enough. Before he was even aware that the caravan was under attack he recoiled as a pellet of gas hit him square in the jaw. In his shock and panic, he inhaled, unable to recognize the exact nature of the attack, or the consequences of doing so.

Quickly, Maechus took a step back, his hand on his sword. "Ambu-gah!" He was suddenly struck by the vapor's noxious effects, and his hand just as quickly moved to his stomach. "Wha...? Warden preserve... ugh..."

JackRose
2013-04-13, 10:59 AM
Rupert cursed under his breath in Dwarven as a bullet whirred close by his head. "My scaly little friends, I don't know what's provoked this attack, but I'm afraid you've made rather a mistake."

The hand not holding the whip dipped into a pouch on Rupert's belt and came out clutching a handful of fine sand. Incanting in a calm, soothing voice, Rupert blew the sand in the direction of the scaly creature coming out of the bush accompanied by the rat.

Sleep spell, 10 foot burst, affects up to 4 HD of creatures starting with the lowest amount of hit dice, Will negates, DC 15. If the rat and the kobold have equal hit dice, it will be placed so it hits the Kobold first, if possible.

Stormageddon
2013-04-13, 11:23 AM
Rupert cursed under his breath in Dwarven as a bullet whirred close by his head. "My scaly little friends, I don't know what's provoked this attack, but I'm afraid you've made rather a mistake."

The hand not holding the whip dipped into a pouch on Rupert's belt and came out clutching a handful of fine sand. Incanting in a calm, soothing voice, Rupert blew the sand in the direction of the scaly creature coming out of the bush accompanied by the rat.

Sleep spell, 10 foot burst, affects up to 4 HD of creatures starting with the lowest amount of hit dice, Will negates, DC 15. If the rat and the kobold have equal hit dice, it will be placed so it hits the Kobold first, if possible.

The two legged lizard and the rabid rat both start to slump and then fall to the ground.

Stormageddon
2013-04-13, 11:42 AM
The badly burned Rat continues its' charge at Kona snarling and biting with the fury of pain.

The burned Scaly creature starts to flee in terror.

Two other of the monsters charge Caelain, and Tysalat swing their crude makeshift spears in their direction

The last rat like creature attempts to bite at the ankle of Rupert.

Kona's rat [roll0] Damage [roll1] Plus give me a fort save
Caelain [roll2] Damage [roll3]

Tysalat [roll4] Damage [roll5]

Rupert [roll6] Damage [roll7] Plus Fort Save

JackRose
2013-04-13, 12:18 PM
Rupert let out a small exclamation of pain as the creature's teeth sank into the unprotected flesh of his leg. "Get back, you wretched beast!" He cautiously took a step back, without lowering his guard lest the rat strike at him again. Then, he snapped the whip in the air near the vermin's head, trying to drive it back and discourage it from further attacks.

Intimidate to demoralize against the rat, [roll0]

Smileybastard
2013-04-13, 12:24 PM
Tysalat

Tysalat easily evades the creatures clumsy attack even in his nauseated state and moves towards Kona as he tried to overcome the nausea.

Stormageddon
2013-04-13, 12:27 PM
Rupert let out a small exclamation of pain as the creature's teeth sank into the unprotected flesh of his leg. "Get back, you wretched beast!" He cautiously took a step back, without lowering his guard lest the rat strike at him again. Then, he snapped the whip in the air near the vermin's head, trying to drive it back and discourage it from further attacks.

Intimidate to demoralize against the rat, [roll0]

The rat seems unfazed by your whip cracking and presses the attack!

Saidoro
2013-04-13, 02:13 PM
Kona sidesteps the rat's bite and takes another quick step backwards, bringing her out of immediate danger. She speaks again and the flames again rise about her foes.
Kal Vokun!
taking a 5' step away from the rat and then using burning flash again, with the following priority list for targets(none allow for hitting friendlies):
1. Kona's rat and any two other enemies
2. Any three enemies
3. Kona's rat and any one other enemy
4. Any two enemies
5. Kona's rat(use flame jet in 10' cone rather than burning flash in this case)
Reflex save DC 14 for half damage, available shapes are a 10' radius burst, a 20' line or a 10' cone.

BarnabasBailey
2013-04-13, 08:42 PM
And while he was busy dealing with his sudden spate of nausea, everybody was being attacked. Maechus knew what he had to do, knew what his job was, but he just could not shake off the sickness. He could move, but if he tried to take his hand off of his stomach, he could only imagine the distraction he would feel if he lost his lunch here and now.

However, he still needed to do something. With a lurching run, Maechus moved himself towards the fray, taking the back of the lizard-man attacking Caelain. "Oi!" he shouted, "Turn and fight or I'll run you... guu..."

White_Drake
2013-04-13, 11:20 PM
Hindered by the effects of the gas, Caelain is ripped into by one of the rats; he is shaken by the onslaught, but just can't manage to shake the poison.

Stormageddon
2013-04-13, 11:49 PM
Kona sidesteps the rat's bite and takes another quick step backwards, bringing her out of immediate danger. She speaks again and the flames again rise about her foes.
Kal Vokun!
taking a 5' step away from the rat and then using burning flash again, with the following priority list for targets(none allow for hitting friendlies):
1. Kona's rat and any two other enemies
2. Any three enemies
3. Kona's rat and any one other enemy
4. Any two enemies
5. Kona's rat(use flame jet in 10' cone rather than burning flash in this case)
Reflex save DC 14 for half damage, available shapes are a 10' radius burst, a 20' line or a 10' cone.

Kona flames consume the rat, burning it falls to the ground.

Stormageddon
2013-04-14, 12:00 AM
The rat springs into the air lunging for Rupert's throat.

The lizardman swings at Tysalat with glee in its eyes

The scaly creature tries to run through Caelain with his spear

Rupert 1d20+1 Damage 1d4
Tysalat 1d20+1 D 1d6-1
Caelain 1d20+1 D 1d6-1

Smileybastard
2013-04-14, 07:10 AM
Tysalat

Tysalat shakes off the effect of the nausea and shouts, Stand firm.
He swings his heavy blade at the rat assaulting Rupert.

Attack(flanking) [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

White_Drake
2013-04-14, 07:11 AM
As one af the lizard creatures' spears strikes ineffectually against his armor, Caelain throws himself back into the fight. Maechus, step around for the flank! You scum are going to pay for what you just did.
5 foot step to below the kobold, waiting for confirmation to sneak attack

BarnabasBailey
2013-04-14, 07:35 AM
With a shake of the head, Maechus did his best to get over the effects of the gas. Finally confident enough, he drew his sword and took a sidling step around the monster. "I said fight me, knave!" With a flourish of steel he lunged, aiming his rapier for the monster's chest.

Basic attack (With Flanking, after 5 foot step): [roll0] Damage: [roll1]

JackRose
2013-04-14, 10:33 AM
Rupert threw his arm in front of him, and the jaws of the rat closed on his armored sleeve instead of his throat. He took another cautious step backwards, nodding his thanks to Tysalat and, in a deep, resonant voice, began intoning the Dwarven Epic of Gol-Gammerash.

As he spoke, he dropped the whip at his feet, and unslung the shortbow from his back.

Beginning Bardic Performance, with Perform Oratory (standard action) five foot step (special action) dropping the whip (free action) and drawing the shortbow (move action)

Saidoro
2013-04-14, 12:57 PM
Seeing that the others had the assailants under control Kona turned her attention to those at the front of the caravan, taking careful aim and letting loose another fireball.
Kal Vokun
Burning Flash as a 10' Burst, centered on the upper corner between the two upper right kobolds. That should catch both rats and the three rightward kobolds without hitting any of the empty spaces(which I assume contain defenders)
DC 14 reflex for half

Stormageddon
2013-04-15, 12:00 AM
With a shake of the head, Maechus did his best to get over the effects of the gas. Finally confident enough, he drew his sword and took a sidling step around the monster. "I said fight me, knave!" With a flourish of steel he lunged, aiming his rapier for the monster's chest.

Basic attack (With Flanking, after 5 foot step): [roll0] Damage: [roll1]

With great flourish you swore your rapier through your enemy's neck, with a soft gasp the creature falls dead.

Stormageddon
2013-04-15, 12:02 AM
Tysalat

Tysalat shakes off the effect of the nausea and shouts, Stand firm.
He swings his heavy blade at the rat assaulting Rupert.

Attack(flanking) [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Your swing goes wide of the rat.

Stormageddon
2013-04-15, 12:05 AM
Seeing that the others had the assailants under control Kona turned her attention to those at the front of the caravan, taking careful aim and letting loose another fireball.
Kal Vokun
Burning Flash as a 10' Burst, centered on the upper corner between the two upper right kobolds. That should catch both rats and the three rightward kobolds without hitting any of the empty spaces(which I assume contain defenders)
DC 14 reflex for half

The blast shakes the ground bits of roasted rat and lizards fly through the air. Once the air clears none of your Nemesis are left standing.

Stormageddon
2013-04-15, 12:16 AM
You hear the death scream of a guard as three of the little lizardmen pierce the guard with their spears.

The rat focused on destroying Rupert steps forward and tries to bite Rupert.

The creature attempts to stab at Caelain in a desperate attempt to save its' life.

Rupert [roll0] D [roll1]

Caelain [roll2] D [roll3]

Smileybastard
2013-04-15, 12:25 AM
Tysalat

Tysalat turns and swings at the Lizard between himself and Caelain.

to hit[roll0]
should be +2 for flanking
damage[roll1]

JackRose
2013-04-15, 12:36 AM
As the rat again failed to close its teeth on him, Rupert smiled and took one final step back. He had reached a critical passage in the Gol-Gammerash, where Gol-Gam delivers his threat to pile up the corpses of his foes until they blot out the sun if his lover is not returned to him. As the deep, resonant syllables rolled out of his mouth, they seemed to rise in volume and pitch with each moment, until, inexplicably, they solidified in the air, in a burst of razor sharp crystals.

Chord of shards directed at the rat in front of Rupert, a fifteen foot cone, so if he can hit any other enemies he will. [roll0] piercing damage, reflex negates.

Stormageddon
2013-04-15, 12:37 AM
Tysalat

Tysalat turns and swings at the Lizard between himself and Caelain.

to hit[roll0]
should be +2 for flanking
damage[roll1]

With a quick powerful blow you separate the creature with its head.

Stormageddon
2013-04-15, 11:21 AM
As the rat again failed to close its teeth on him, Rupert smiled and took one final step back. He had reached a critical passage in the Gol-Gammerash, where Gol-Gam delivers his threat to pile up the corpses of his foes until they blot out the sun if his lover is not returned to him. As the deep, resonant syllables rolled out of his mouth, they seemed to rise in volume and pitch with each moment, until, inexplicably, they solidified in the air, in a burst of razor sharp crystals.

Chord of shards directed at the rat in front of Rupert, a fifteen foot cone, so if he can hit any other enemies he will. [roll0] piercing damage, reflex negates.

Razors lash into the rat cutting the rat head to toe; causing the rat to howl in pain.

Saidoro
2013-04-15, 01:09 PM
Kona further shifted her stance, sliding into place besides Rupert and setting her eyes on the last rat. For a moment she remembered all the time spent practicing as a child, figuring out the exact relation between the magic she invested and the amount of flame conjured. It had been a lot of trouble at the time, but for now she was glad.
Vo!
A cone of flame burst from her extended hand, engulfing the rat and then stopping less than a foot from where Tysalat stood.
5 foot step down and to the right to be just above Rupert, then using flame jet as a 10' cone to the left, hitting only the rat.
DC 14 reflex save for half damage.

Stormageddon
2013-04-15, 01:33 PM
Kona further shifted her stance, sliding into place besides Rupert and setting her eyes on the last rat. For a moment she remembered all the time spent practicing as a child, figuring out the exact relation between the magic she invested and the amount of flame conjured. It had been a lot of trouble at the time, but for now she was glad.
Vo!
A cone of flame burst from her extended hand, engulfing the rat and then stopping less than a foot from where Tysalat stood.
5 foot step down and to the right to be just above Rupert, then using flame jet as a 10' cone to the left, hitting only the rat.
DC 14 reflex save for half damage.

The Rat manages to jump aside from most of the fire, but still gets burned. It stays on its' feet for a moment but then falls to the ground from its' injuries.

Stormageddon
2013-04-15, 01:35 PM
The rest of the lizardman break into a panic and run.

Stormageddon
2013-04-15, 01:38 PM
Sweating from the combat you look around seeing one surviving guard injured on his knees. The rest of the guard lie on the ground dead. There is no sign of Vaul.

Saidoro
2013-04-15, 01:52 PM
Having dispatched the last rat Kona runs towards the front of the caravan to help out only to see the lizardmen in full retreat. She visibly slumps on realizing the battle is over, her mind feeling heavy and sluggish from the concentrated magical exertion and not entirely up to steering her body without the rush of fear-fueled adrenaline. A long moment passed as Kona recollected her wits and surveyed aftermath before speaking to the remaining guard.
Where's Vaul?

Smileybastard
2013-04-15, 02:18 PM
Tysalat

Tysalat runs towards the guard on his knees to inspect him for injuries.

heal [roll0]

How many are injured? please come to me if you are injured.

White_Drake
2013-04-15, 02:19 PM
As the enemy broke and ran, Caelain whirled around, seeking one to strike. The mutagen he had just imbibed pumped through his veins, quickening his reflexes, but dulling his perception. Quick, we should pursue! Run them into the ground and finish them off!

Stormageddon
2013-04-15, 02:37 PM
Having dispatched the last rat Kona runs towards the front of the caravan to help out only to see the lizardmen in full retreat. She visibly slumps on realizing the battle is over, her mind feeling heavy and sluggish from the concentrated magical exertion and not entirely up to steering her body without the rush of fear-fueled adrenaline. A long moment passed as Kona recollected her wits and surveyed aftermath before speaking to the remaining guard.
Where's Vaul?

The guards pails, shaking he lifts a shaky figure to the seat of the lead cart. Your head turns automatically. A fat halfling lies dead in the seat of the cart having been punctured by what looks like multiple spears.

Stormageddon
2013-04-15, 02:39 PM
Tysalat

Tysalat runs towards the guard on his knees to inspect him for injuries.

heal [roll0]

How many are injured? please come to me if you are injured.

His injuries look superficial in nature; nothing life threatening.

Smileybastard
2013-04-15, 02:40 PM
Tysalat

Hold fast! Lets assess our damage and we can't leave the caravan unprotected. We have injured do deal with.

Smileybastard
2013-04-15, 02:47 PM
Tysalat

Tysalat pulls the guard to his feet with his strong arm.

I would think moving forward would be our best course of action.

White_Drake
2013-04-15, 02:54 PM
No, we should eradicate them now! How many more do you want to fall prey to these brigands? They should be destroyed, in a manner appropriate to vermin! Do we have a tracker? We might still be able to catch them.

Smileybastard
2013-04-15, 03:04 PM
Tysalat

Tysalat casts a spell on himself and then speaks in a calming manner. We have been paid to guard the caravan not to go to war with these kobolds. Hopefully they will have learned their lesson.

Casts enhanced diplomacy +2 diplomacy
Diplomacy [roll0] Not sure if you want me to do this with PCs. DM vary on that.

BarnabasBailey
2013-04-15, 06:00 PM
Blood. There was blood on his sword. There was blood on him! Stupefied, Maechus drew his sword from the monster's neck, wiping the blade clean on a cloth he pulled from his pocket.

"Vaul is...?" Maechus began, but looking into the cart answered his own question. "I do not... it all just..."

For a second or two, he seemed to be only able to start sentences. Then, all of a sudden, a thought occurred to him, giving him back his speech. "The cat!" He ran to look under the cart. "Tabbles? Tell me they not take you as well. Tabble Cat...?"

White_Drake
2013-04-15, 06:31 PM
Tybalt? They're dead now, so you can come out. Caelain surveys the scene, noticing for the first time how many casualties there were. The caravan is in no position to be left alone. Very well, we won't pursue. Our erstwhile employer looks to be in no condition to pay us, so we may as well attempt to recoup the losses ourselves; we should see if those bandits have anything of value. Of course, if this is what they have been forced to resort to, it is doubtful that they will have any money. I will need two bodies--one from each species--to serve as specimens.

Smileybastard
2013-04-15, 06:48 PM
Tysalat

Tysalat throws Caelain an odd look.

Specimens?

White_Drake
2013-04-15, 06:59 PM
Caelain turns to Tysalat and replies in a querying tone: Sample, test subject? I will need their cadavers for study.

Smileybastard
2013-04-15, 07:13 PM
Tysalat

And what are you testing for?

Smileybastard
2013-04-15, 07:20 PM
Tysalat

Tysalat get everyone injured together and channels positive energy to heal.

[roll0]

White_Drake
2013-04-15, 07:32 PM
Ah, thank you. Anyway, back to our discourse. Let me clarify: it's amazing how many creatures have organs or other body structures which are of great use. Magical creatures in particular can often have spell components harvested from them, and many beasts have tough hides usable when crafting armor. Perhaps I will find something of use in a mutagen, or otherwise something which might be emulated by one. Any profit from these creatures' dissection would be split amongst the party, after I had been recompensed for my services of course. Furthermore, I seek to determine their capabilities, how they are structured, and, hopefully, how to eliminate them with greater celerity should we encounter them again. Now, I may need help finding a cadaver without severe burns, but I suppose that such was unavoidable. If you would like, I can give you a copy of my findings when I publish them. But before that can happen, I will need more field research, hence this strolling through the woods.

Smileybastard
2013-04-15, 07:44 PM
Tysalat

Tysalat listens to Caelain intently and nods almost imperceptibly.

How long will it take?

White_Drake
2013-04-16, 12:17 AM
I will need good lighting, an hour, and a sharp knife. The latter I have, the former two I would like to request. These are... somewhat crude conditions, but I should be able to get something out of it. If only I was in my dissection room. But that is of no consequence. Can I get some light over here?

Saidoro
2013-04-16, 12:23 AM
They didn't seem to be doing anything too special to me, there may not be much to learn.
Kona surveyed the carnage and shivered. Neither the sight nor smell of burning flesh were distressing to her, in truth there was a small part of her that found both enjoyable, it was this last factor which had her truly worried.
It would be better if you could carry them with you, the longer we stay the higher the chance of another ambush. We should probably try to bring the carts with us anyway, someone in New Orcus will be needing the food.

JackRose
2013-04-16, 08:51 AM
Rupert gave Caelain an odd look as he discussed dissecting the corpses. "Well, I suppose we all have our ways of seeking the truth." He drew one of the glowing pebbles from his pocket and tossed it to the alchemist.

Then he set about rummaging in his pack until he found a length of rope. He looped it over his shoulder, and then strode over to the still slumbering rat and kobold pair.

He knelt by the rat and murmured "Go gently into the arms of our good lady, and feel all your sufferings dissolved in her mercy and her kindness." Then, knocking an arrow to his bow, he fired it into the creature's neck, at the base of its skull.

"Maechus, if I may ask for your help for a moment, I'm afraid that I've never been overly good with knots, and I would prefer this scaly fellow be securely bound before he wakes up." He extended the rope towards his comrade as he spoke.

BarnabasBailey
2013-04-16, 09:58 AM
Well, the cat was all right. One crisis averted, he supposed. Of course, there was still the fact that the bulk of the caravan was wiped out, his employer was dead, and Maechus was still trying to process the fact that he had just stabbed and killed something. Without even the slightest idea of what he should be doing, the best he could do was stare into the middle distance, trying to gather together enough composure to figure out just how everything went wrong so quickly.

Fortunately, the call of someone in the group (Rupert, Maechus remembered his name being) brought him back to his senses. "Um... of course. I'll be right over." Taking the rope with a hint of gratitude, he set to work binding the monster's hands together behind its back.

Dexterity Check (I assume?) to use the rope: [roll0]

Stormageddon
2013-04-16, 11:43 AM
Well, the cat was all right. One crisis averted, he supposed. Of course, there was still the fact that the bulk of the caravan was wiped out, his employer was dead, and Maechus was still trying to process the fact that he had just stabbed and killed something. Without even the slightest idea of what he should be doing, the best he could do was stare into the middle distance, trying to gather together enough composure to figure out just how everything went wrong so quickly.

Fortunately, the call of someone in the group (Rupert, Maechus remembered his name being) brought him back to his senses. "Um... of course. I'll be right over." Taking the rope with a hint of gratitude, he set to work binding the monster's hands together behind its back.

Dexterity Check (I assume?) to use the rope: [roll0]

The creature is bond.

Smileybastard
2013-04-16, 12:11 PM
Tysalat

Tysalat looks up at the sun. We should keep moving for now as Kona said, while we have daylight. You can cut things up once we break camp tonight.

He raises his voice. Lets get everything together and get ready to head out as soon as possible.

JackRose
2013-04-16, 01:03 PM
Once the Kobold is securely bound, Rupert lifted him and slung him over the back of his donkey. "Easy, Hotay," he told the still nervous animal. "We've had a bit of a scare, but all's well now."

Turning to the rest of the party, "I agree. I've a warm bed and an intriguing meeting waiting for me in New Orcus, and I'd rather not spend any more time in this forest than I must. I say we push on 'til nightfall, and when we make camp, we can see whether this one feels talkative."

White_Drake
2013-04-16, 02:17 PM
Caelain looked speculatively towards the bound kobold before turning to his companions. Do we have any post-interrogation plans for the prisoner? I would rather not carry more than I have to, and a spare hardly seems necessary. We would still need the rat cadaver, of course; I will check to see if there is room in the carts, otherwise we may need to leave the rat, unfortunate as that may be.

Smileybastard
2013-04-16, 02:20 PM
Tysalat

I wondered the same as well, but I did not want to delay our getting going again. I didn't think the extra weight would mean much with two wagons.

I would suggest we get moving and deal with this tonight.

JackRose
2013-04-16, 02:24 PM
Rupert shrugged. "He is my prisoner, and I will take responsibility for transporting him. If you want a corpse to experiment on, take one of these." He nodded at the corpses scattered about. "This fellow's treatment will depend entirely on his behavior."

Smileybastard
2013-04-16, 02:28 PM
Tysalat

Tysalat flashes Rupert a concerned glance. What do you intend to do with it?

JackRose
2013-04-16, 03:05 PM
Rupert thought a moment. "Talk to him, if I can. Find out why he and his fellows attacked us, whether there are more of them about, anything else I can get him to tell me."

White_Drake
2013-04-16, 03:08 PM
While we are on the topic of corpses, what are we going to do with the fallen guards and Vaul?

Smileybastard
2013-04-16, 03:17 PM
Tysalat

We will take them with us and bury them tonight at the camp. Did we find Vaul's cat?

White_Drake
2013-04-16, 04:17 PM
Tybalt travels with me, if he is the one of whom you are speaking. It is somewhat worrisome that he has not yet returned from hiding. With a concerned look, Caelain whistles a few notes, Tybalt?

Stormageddon
2013-04-17, 10:31 AM
Tybalt travels with me, if he is the one of whom you are speaking. It is somewhat worrisome that he has not yet returned from hiding. With a concerned look, Caelain whistles a few notes, Tybalt?

Tybalt comes out from under the cart and starts rubbing against your leg purring.

BarnabasBailey
2013-04-17, 12:03 PM
The mechanical action of having something to do brought him back to his senses. Maechus climbed up to the cart, looking Vaul over with barely contained dread. "Whatever else we do, I agree with Miss Briggs. As long as we can drive these carts down to New Orcus, we have not completely failed our job. I'm certain someone there would be better equipped to lay the dead to rest as well."

With that, Maechus began gingerly searching his former employer for any sort of clue where the supplies were headed. "Anyone here familiar with horses? The sooner we can get down the road, the quicker we can get somewhere safe."

Perception Check to search Vaul's body: [roll0]

Stormageddon
2013-04-17, 01:03 PM
The mechanical action of having something to do brought him back to his senses. Maechus climbed up to the cart, looking Vaul over with barely contained dread. "Whatever else we do, I agree with Miss Briggs. As long as we can drive these carts down to New Orcus, we have not completely failed our job. I'm certain someone there would be better equipped to lay the dead to rest as well."

With that, Maechus began gingerly searching his former employer for any sort of clue where the supplies were headed. "Anyone here familiar with horses? The sooner we can get down the road, the quicker we can get somewhere safe."

Perception Check to search Vaul's body: [roll0]

The well dressed Halfling, seems to be lacking a money purse or any directions as to where the supplies are going. You do find a nice looking dagger on his person.

White_Drake
2013-04-17, 02:57 PM
As he talks to his companions, Caelain bends over and holds his arm at an angle to the ground, while Tybalt runs up the ersatz ramp before settling back on Caelain's shoulder. If we have no more business here then I suggest we make haste. I would greatly prefer to spend my nights in a warm bed rather than upon the ground.

Saidoro
2013-04-17, 05:37 PM
Kona does what she can to calm the horses and then climbs aboard the second cart, taking the reins.
Get everything loaded up and we'll get going.
Taking ten on a handle animal check to handle the horses gives 14.

White_Drake
2013-04-17, 06:44 PM
Caelain gestures towards the bodies, May I accost one of you gentlemen for some help in moving these? Just give me a moment to determine which are the least damaged.

Smileybastard
2013-04-17, 06:51 PM
Tysalat

Anything to get us going quicker. Which do you want loaded?

White_Drake
2013-04-17, 07:20 PM
You have my gratitude. Caelain slowly inspects each of the corpses before pointing towards two of them, one dire rat and one kobold. That one, and that one. We can start with the kobold.

BarnabasBailey
2013-04-17, 08:36 PM
"Guess it would not have done you much good anyway." Maechus clutched the dagger with a hint of regret. He remembered getting this job, selling himself as some kind of swordsman. But he was no swordsman, was he? He was just a man with a sword and dreams of the stars. "Sorry, Vaul," he muttered. "At the very least, I can try and get the goods to where they need to go."

He hopped off of the carriage, moving to help the injured guard into the passenger seat and get the bodies in the back of the carts before sitting at the reins. "Ready to go when you are."

Ride Check to get the cart rolling when everything's set: [roll0]

White_Drake
2013-04-17, 09:03 PM
Caelain finished packing the cadavers before walking up alongside the carts. I am prepared for departure.

Stormageddon
2013-04-17, 11:32 PM
You travel for about 7 hours even though you know the red sun has not set upon the land you often have trouble determining if it's night or day. When you reach a clearing off to your left you finally can tell its just now dusk. In the clearing you see a building bearing the symbol of the keepers. A smaller structure stands nearby with a small lake in between. Tents are posted surrounding those buildings. A huge chasism is surrounding the encampment to the north and east side. A cliff protects the west and south side. There is a opening towards the southeast side where a platoon of soildiers dress all in black are stationed.

White_Drake
2013-04-17, 11:56 PM
After hours of marching, Caelain looks out over the Keeper encampment, grateful that he may have more sumptuous accommodations than he previously thought. Do any of you have a reason to avoid the Keepers, or should we see if they can spare us lodging?

Smileybastard
2013-04-18, 12:36 AM
Tysalat

Sounds good to me.

JackRose
2013-04-18, 08:59 AM
As they came upon the clearing, Rupert broke into a wide smile. People! His strong suit at last.

"Ho friends," he cried out, approaching the Keepers. "Do you have room to spare for a few weary travelers?"

Stormageddon
2013-04-18, 02:29 PM
As they came upon the clearing, Rupert broke into a wide smile. People! His strong suit at last.

"Ho friends," he cried out, approaching the Keepers. "Do you have room to spare for a few weary travelers?"

A man in black looks you up and down. He mumbles some words and makes a motion with his hands. He looks hard at each person in the crew for few seconds. Afterwards his shoulders relax and a small smile comes to his face. "All travelers are welcome. You can find shelter and food at the inn."

BarnabasBailey
2013-04-18, 03:10 PM
Maechus smirked. "It seems like Mister Hawkins has already decided what we should do." With a sigh, he got down from the seat, stretching his legs. Seven consecutive hours at the reins was every bit as exhausting as walking. It did not help that the horse and he did not seem to get on very well the entire time. In any case, Maechus was thoroughly spent from the day's activities, and the thought of being able to sleep off this latest emergency and come back to it in a more able state of mind was tempting.

He moved to help the guard down from the passenger seat, and when that was done went to work getting the horses free of the cart so they could graze and rest. "Much obliged, Sir Keeper. It has been a long day for us, and this inn is a stroke of good fortune for certain."

Smileybastard
2013-04-18, 03:52 PM
Tysalat

Tysalat walks to the nearest man in black and nods his head.

It is good to be here, thank you. It has been a bad day we were ambushed by Kobolds and suffered losses.

We will need to bury the bodies if you have a place we can tend to that.

White_Drake
2013-04-18, 05:32 PM
Caelain pauses his study of the Keeper and shifts his gaze to Tysalat. Most of the bodies.

Saidoro
2013-04-19, 01:31 AM
Kona raised an eyebrow at Caelain's remark and wondered if the man had ever heard of tact.
What my friend means to say is that we will be burying the bodies from our caravan. He also brought along one of the bodies of the attackers for some fool reason or other, it seemed harmless enough to not be worth spending more time on an unprotected road arguing about.
Diplomacy:[roll0]

JackRose
2013-04-19, 08:48 AM
Rupert gave an elaborate shrug at Caelin's comment, endeavoring to suggest that overall he was a fine fellow, but that he did have one or two peculiarities which were best overlooked.

"In addition," he said, eager to move the conversation on from what Caelain's plan for his looted corpse might be, "We've taken a prisoner. It was my intention to interrogate him about the ambush, but if you wish, I will release him into your custody."

Stormageddon
2013-04-19, 12:45 PM
Tysalat

Tysalat walks to the nearest man in black and nods his head.

It is good to be here, thank you. It has been a bad day we were ambushed by Kobolds and suffered losses.

We will need to bury the bodies if you have a place we can tend to that.

The man points just beyond the church. "Sadly, not an uncommon tale for those who travel the wilds. There's a crypt to the warden over yonder. Currently there is a funeral going on, but I'm sure the Keepers will let you use it after."

Stormageddon
2013-04-19, 12:46 PM
Caelain pauses his study of the Keeper and shifts his gaze to Tysalat. Most of the bodies.

The guard raises an eye brow.

Stormageddon
2013-04-19, 12:47 PM
Kona raised an eyebrow at Caelain's remark and wondered if the man had ever heard of tact.
What my friend means to say is that we will be burying the bodies from our caravan. He also brought along one of the bodies of the attackers for some fool reason or other, it seemed harmless enough to not be worth spending more time on an unprotected road arguing about.
Diplomacy:[roll0]

The eyebrow lowers.

Stormageddon
2013-04-19, 12:50 PM
Rupert gave an elaborate shrug at Caelin's comment, endeavoring to suggest that overall he was a fine fellow, but that he did have one or two peculiarities which were best overlooked.

"In addition," he said, eager to move the conversation on from what Caelain's plan for his looted corpse might be, "We've taken a prisoner. It was my intention to interrogate him about the ambush, but if you wish, I will release him into your custody."

"Prisoner!?" The guards hand shots to his sword. "What sort of 'Prisoner'?"

JackRose
2013-04-19, 01:01 PM
Rupert gestures to the bound kobold slung across the back of his donkey. "This squamous little fellow. He and his compatriots attacked us not long after we entered this forest."

Stormageddon
2013-04-19, 01:08 PM
Rupert gestures to the bound kobold slung across the back of his donkey. "This squamous little fellow. He and his compatriots attacked us not long after we entered this forest."

The guard chuckles looking at the creature "Kobold. All over the woods these days. Little better than animals. Don't know what you're hoping to learn, but I suspect you wouldn't learn much more then it was hungry and looking for food. Little bastards kill everything they find. You can leave it here with us; we know what to do with these bastards."

BarnabasBailey
2013-04-19, 01:44 PM
"Patience, you." Maechus said to the horse as he continued to undo its bridle. "If you would hold still, you'd be loose sooner." He was focused almost entirely on figuring out how these cart fastenings worked. Not that he was not at least familiar with them; horsemanship and swordsmanship were often related subjects, and he had spent enough time around the beasts to at least recognize a harness and saddle when he saw one. Still, an expert he was not.

And then, a thought came to him. He turned his head to the man in black. "Is there a stable here, or somewhere of the like for the horses? They've been walking for the better part of the day, and this one in particular has been getting a little cranky about it."

JackRose
2013-04-19, 02:56 PM
Rupert shrugged and unceremoniously shoves the Kobold off the back of his donkey. "Come, Tysalat, let's see to the animals, and then I'll stand you a drink for your help dealing with that little rodent problem we encountered."

He paused and weighed in his coin pouch in his hand for a moment. "Well, in any case, I'll see to it that someone stands you a drink."

Stormageddon
2013-04-19, 03:22 PM
"Patience, you." Maechus said to the horse as he continued to undo its bridle. "If you would hold still, you'd be loose sooner." He was focused almost entirely on figuring out how these cart fastenings worked. Not that he was not at least familiar with them; horsemanship and swordsmanship were often related subjects, and he had spent enough time around the beasts to at least recognize a harness and saddle when he saw one. Still, an expert he was not.

And then, a thought came to him. He turned his head to the man in black. "Is there a stable here, or somewhere of the like for the horses? They've been walking for the better part of the day, and this one in particular has been getting a little cranky about it."

"Aye, you can tie your horse up at the inn. You can leave your carts anywhere out of the way. No one will bother them, not so long as the Blackblades guard this camp."

White_Drake
2013-04-19, 03:23 PM
As Rupert and Maechus went to tend to the animals, Caelain focused his attention back onto the guard. I'll need a clean, well-lit room with a table, preferably steel, but wood will do. Is there anybody I can see about procuring such a room?

Stormageddon
2013-04-19, 03:36 PM
As Rupert and Maechus went to tend to the animals, Caelain focused his attention back onto the guard. I'll need a clean, well-lit room with a table, preferably steel, but wood will do. Is there anybody I can see about procuring such a room?

The guard looks bewilder at your request. "I'm not sure what ideas you got in your head, but this is just a humble camp. We've got rooms but not too many clean ones, and we got tables but steel tables!? Unlikely." He looks around seems to spot something. "Now if that will be all; I do have duties to attend to."

White_Drake
2013-04-19, 04:21 PM
Looking extremely offended, Caelain stares after the departing guard and speaks in an irritated tone under his breath. Really! Such primitives ought to be flattered that I thought it was possible they might have some of the trappings of civilization! Did I not say that a wooden table would be an acceptable, if paltry, substitute? Grumbling, Caelain makes his way back to the carts, hoping to make certain his cadavers are properly cared for. Perhaps he can conduct an examination once the bodies have been buried.

Smileybastard
2013-04-19, 05:48 PM
Tysalat

Tysalat helps Rupert with the animals and in general securing the wagons etc.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tysalat looks to Caelain and says, I think you should expressly inform them why you want a room and exactly what you intend to do there. They may not appreciate you carving up a kobold and a rat on their dining table.

White_Drake
2013-04-19, 06:02 PM
Glancing at Tysalat, Caelain replies in a low tone. Many do not approve of my studies. This place is a backwater, but be that as it may, we still need a place to sleep. I can perform the dissections tonight, in my room, although I'll probably have to smuggle the cadavers in. I will retrieve them after the burial.

Smileybastard
2013-04-19, 06:29 PM
Tysalat

Tysalat smiles at Caelain. I am aware of that.

I don't think you want these folk finding your room full of blood stains.

White_Drake
2013-04-19, 07:15 PM
Caelain looks nonplussed for a moment, and slowly responds to Tysalat. ...I had not thought of that. I'll see if I can find the leader of this place. Although it galls him to have to ask permission to conduct his experiments, Caelain doesn't find the prospect of another mob calling for his exile pleasant. He strides out into the twilit compound, headed for the large building near its center.

Stormageddon
2013-04-19, 07:31 PM
Caelain looks nonplussed for a moment, and slowly responds to Tysalat. ...I had not thought of that. I'll see if I can find the leader of this place. Although it galls him to have to ask permission to conduct his experiments, Caelain doesn't find the prospect of another mob calling for his exile pleasant. He strides out into the twilit compound, headed for the large building near its center.

The building is a large wooden temple with simple cravings depicting different Warden Images and Myths. People wearing blue robes are milling around preforming different day to day task, herding farm animals, preparing food, etc . There is a large double door that's open leading into the temple.

JackRose
2013-04-20, 10:21 AM
While Caelain goes to ask permission for his experiments, Rupert heads to the inn. He's spent a good part of his life in establishments like this, and right now he want little more than a stiff drink on someone else's tab, and the attention of his peers.

White_Drake
2013-04-20, 12:53 PM
Caelain strides through the temple's open doors, looking around for someone who appears to be in a position of power.

BarnabasBailey
2013-04-20, 09:50 PM
Maechus nodded, getting the horses free of the carts and leading them to the stables. Finally. The end of the day was in sight. Just a few more mundane little chores to do, a few more loose ends to tie up, and he would be safe. Well, safe-ish. It... was probably best for his sanity if he could just forget the dangers that lurked in the woods around them. At least, not while he was in the state he was in.

With the horses securely away, he was off to the inn. He needed... something. Food, water, somewhere to fall down and sleep for a week? Probably best to get all that done in order. He took a moment to look about the in, coming in a moment or two behind Rupert, to see what kind of accommodations he was looking at.

Saidoro
2013-04-21, 12:26 AM
Kona heads back to the carts, making sure everything is covered in case of rain before returning to rejoin Tysalat in the courtyard.
Probably best to find your dinner now, they won't be keeping much warm this late and the others are already headed that way. Sounds like we can't do the funerals for a bit anyway.

Stormageddon
2013-04-21, 12:29 AM
The Inn: The sign outside displays a golden Boar. On the inside is a large common area much like ones you've seen before. It is busy, large amount of people are sitting around drinking, or playing cards. The bartender is busy serving drinks to people. The are stairs going up to a balcony that has many doors on the second story.

Stormageddon
2013-04-21, 12:35 AM
Caelain strides through the temple's open doors, looking around for someone who appears to be in a position of power.

The inside of the temple is much different than the humble outside. Inside looks like it has been converted into a war room of sorts. There is a large table with maps displayed in a disorganized manner. The furniture looks expensive and a banner of blue with a green orb that represents the Keepers is hanged from every wall. At the head of the table is an elf woman dressed in fine blue robes. People seem to be reporting to her.

White_Drake
2013-04-21, 10:00 AM
Walking up to room's main table, Caelain waits for a pause in the conversation before interjecting his piece. Excuse me, I am a traveler staying at the inn, and I need to know the local laws on a certain subject.Turning to the elf woman, he continues. You seem to have the requisite authority to clarify the matter.

Smileybastard
2013-04-21, 10:17 AM
Tysalat

Tysalat nods to Kona and smiles. You're right. Lets go and see about some food.

JackRose
2013-04-21, 11:11 AM
Rupert approaches the bartender and orders an ale, and then does his best to engage the patrons in conversation, recounting the story of the ambush, with especial emphasis on the heroics of Maechus.

Taking ten on Perform Oratory, for a total of eighteen, trying to convince the bar patrons to buy Maechus drinks.

BarnabasBailey
2013-04-21, 12:29 PM
Maechus sat down at one of the nearest tables. What a day. He looked around, spotting Rupert talking with a group of people. Well, at least he was enjoying himself. Maechus seemed to remember Rupert calling himself a bard or something during the trip. That sounded like a nice job. Telling stories, entertaining people... it all sounded so...

Wait. What was he talking about? Was he... talking about Maechus? Playing him up like some kind of hero? Maechus' face burned as he hopped to his feet. "No. No, no, no..." He strode over to Rupert, mortified. "Stop that. I didn't... Mister Hawkins? Mister Hawkins!"

Saidoro
2013-04-22, 01:17 AM
Kona nodded to Tysalat and set off towards the inn, keeping stride with the taller man. She turned slightly to face him as she walked and began talking.
So, do you guard caravans for a living or were you just getting some coin on the way to New Orcus?

Stormageddon
2013-04-22, 02:51 AM
Walking up to room's main table, Caelain waits for a pause in the conversation before interjecting his piece. Excuse me, I am a traveler staying at the inn, and I need to know the local laws on a certain subject.Turning to the elf woman, he continues. You seem to have the requisite authority to clarify the matter.

The elven woman pauses and regards you for a long moment. When she speaks she speaks slowly, and with a voice of authority. "I am the Head Keeper of this camp. You may ask your question."

Stormageddon
2013-04-22, 02:53 AM
Rupert approaches the bartender and orders an ale, and then does his best to engage the patrons in conversation, recounting the story of the ambush, with especial emphasis on the heroics of Maechus.

Taking ten on Perform Oratory, for a total of eighteen, trying to convince the bar patrons to buy Maechus drinks.

People seem impressed with your tale of heroics, and a couple of people offer to buy you a drink for more stories.

Smileybastard
2013-04-22, 05:23 AM
Tysalat

Tysalat smiles at Kona. I seek to travel in general, learn of the world and protect people, but coin is always useful.

Saidoro
2013-04-22, 01:21 PM
Kona half leads the way into the inn, keeping up the conversation while ambling towards the head of the room.
That it is. You seemed really on top of things after the attack so I thought you might have done something like this before. I was along for about the same reason, I needed to get to New Orcus for some family business, but they couldn't give me much money, just supplies, so I couldn't pay my way as a passenger.
Reaching her destination, Kona turned from her comrade to face the bartender.
We just got in and need some dinner. What have you got?

Stormageddon
2013-04-22, 02:09 PM
Kona half leads the way into the inn, keeping up the conversation while ambling towards the head of the room.
That it is. You seemed really on top of things after the attack so I thought you might have done something like this before. I was along for about the same reason, I needed to get to New Orcus for some family business, but they couldn't give me much money, just supplies, so I couldn't pay my way as a passenger.
Reaching her destination, Kona turned from her comrade to face the bartender.
We just got in and need some dinner. What have you got?

"We have a mutton stew. It's not the best, but it's what we got." Replies the bartender."

White_Drake
2013-04-22, 04:34 PM
Caelain takes a moment to carefully arrange his response. The caravan I was hired to guard, a shipment of food to New Orcus, was ambushed by kobolds. We suffered losses, and the rest of my party is at the inn. I have two cadavers--one kobold, and one dire rat, which they were using as an attack animal--which I intend to study. In view of your hospitality, I thought it best to bring the matter to your attention, and to ascertain whether you had an objection. Also, I hoped to ask where such a matter could be carried out. I doubt that any possible stains would complement your inn's décor.

Diplomacy [roll0]

JackRose
2013-04-22, 05:38 PM
"And in addition to his other virtues, it seems he's modest, too," concluded Rupert, as Maechus interjected. He pushed one of the drinks offered him towards the swordsman, and turned back to his audience. "So I'll take my next tale from a more historical genre. How many of you have heard the tale of Count Vasron's Construct Wife?"

Without waiting for much a reply, he launches into the bawdy, innuendo laced tale, usually a favorite with a drinking crowd.

Stormageddon
2013-04-29, 10:08 AM
Caelain takes a moment to carefully arrange his response. The caravan I was hired to guard, a shipment of food to New Orcus, was ambushed by kobolds. We suffered losses, and the rest of my party is at the inn. I have two cadavers--one kobold, and one dire rat, which they were using as an attack animal--which I intend to study. In view of your hospitality, I thought it best to bring the matter to your attention, and to ascertain whether you had an objection. Also, I hoped to ask where such a matter could be carried out. I doubt that any possible stains would complement your inn's décor.

Diplomacy [roll0]

She takes a hard long look at you. After a long pause she speaks "are you a doctor?"

BarnabasBailey
2013-04-29, 11:41 AM
"Mister Hawkins! I..." Maechus started to protest, but stopped when he saw the drink in front of him. He could swear his face was raising the temperature of the room as he took the mug. "Um... Thanks, that's..." He spent a moment nursing his free drink, then piped up again. "Mister..." It came out hardly at all, so it was no surprise he was drowned out by Rupert going into another story.

Maechus scowled, turning over to the bartender. "I'll have some of that stew, please."

Saidoro
2013-04-29, 01:10 PM
Kona nods at Maechus as he approaches and speaks to the bartender after he orders.
The same for me, thanks.

Stormageddon
2013-04-29, 01:28 PM
"And in addition to his other virtues, it seems he's modest, too," concluded Rupert, as Maechus interjected. He pushed one of the drinks offered him towards the swordsman, and turned back to his audience. "So I'll take my next tale from a more historical genre. How many of you have heard the tale of Count Vasron's Construct Wife?"

Without waiting for much a reply, he launches into the bawdy, innuendo laced tale, usually a favorite with a drinking crowd.

The crowd seems to enjoy the story hooting at all the right points.

Stormageddon
2013-04-29, 01:35 PM
Kona nods at Maechus as he approaches and speaks to the bartender after he orders.
The same for me, thanks.

The bartender hurrily takes your order for you both and moves on to the next customer. Moments later a barmaid comes out with your stew.

White_Drake
2013-04-29, 03:45 PM
She takes a hard long look at you. After a long pause she speaks "are you a doctor?"

I can provide healing to those in need.

Smileybastard
2013-04-29, 05:16 PM
Tysalat

Tysalat orders the same dish as well and joins the group at the table.

BarnabasBailey
2013-04-29, 06:53 PM
Maechus managed a smile in Kona's direction as he set about eating his stew. "Well, this has turned into a fine adventure, hasn't it?" He tried, and failed, to keep the heaviness out of that statement. "Fine one moment, in mortal danger the next. Now... here we are, safe as we were when we started. Such is the nature of the job, I suppose."

Mentally, he checked himself. He was starting to bring himself down with talk like that. Perhaps if he changed the subject. "So, Miss Briggs, Mister..." He paused for a second; he could not remember ever getting Tysalat's last name. "...Tysalat. You are both headed for New Orcus for something other than this job as well, correct? Would you mind if I asked what? I don't mean to impose, that is, but... well, I figured it might be nice to ask. For conversation's sake and everything."

Stormageddon
2013-04-29, 08:08 PM
I can provide healing to those in need.

A long pause as she looks thoughtfuly passed you. She turns her attention back to the pappers as she addresses you "I'm sorry if you misunderstood the question. I'm not looking for a man that can heal. We of the Keepers can heal when nessary." She look up at you "However we have a bit of a mystery on our hands here, and by the nature of you question I figure you might be able to help out." Another long pause. "As it stands we of the Keepers believe that a body must be intack or at least as much as possible for the person to return to nature, but I was thinking maybe we could exchange favors by looking the other way, if you could look into something for us that's beyond our expertise."

Saidoro
2013-04-30, 01:05 AM
Kona tested the soup with her thumb as Maechus spoke, indicating assent at the appropriate points. She lifted the bowl to face level and blew across the stew's surface, steam suddenly rising from the bowl as she did so. The girl began to stir the stew and spoke.
My family sent me off to deal with some politics in the city. I need to find someone to talk to about the upcoming Keeper distributions.
Having said her piece Kona turned back to her stew, blowing once more across it, sending a small cloud of steam at those she was eating with in doing so, and then taking a large mouthful of the near scalding liquid directly from the bowl.

White_Drake
2013-04-30, 04:12 AM
A long pause as she looks thoughtfuly passed you. She turns her attention back to the pappers as she addresses you "I'm sorry if you misunderstood the question. I'm not looking for a man that can heal. We of the Keepers can heal when nessary." She look up at you "However we have a bit of a mystery on our hands here, and by the nature of you question I figure you might be able to help out." Another long pause. "As it stands we of the Keepers believe that a body must be intack or at least as much as possible for the person to return to nature, but I was thinking maybe we could exchange favors by looking the other way, if you could look into something for us that's beyond our expertise."

As he picked up on the meaning behind the Keeper's words, Caelain resisted the urge to grin. People were always the same. I have made my life a study of how the body works. Might I be so bold as to inquire to the nature of your question?

Stormageddon
2013-04-30, 07:42 PM
As he picked up on the meaning behind the Keeper's words, Caelain resisted the urge to grin. People were always the same. I have made my life a study of how the body works. Might I be so bold as to inquire to the nature of your question?

Slowly she answers "we have been suffering deaths at camp from an unknown illness. Our not little knowledge of nature has concluded that it is not any known natural illness. So we are looking for someone to investigate the body to determine the cause of the fatalities. There was someone buried this evening that died of this illness. If you could go to the crypt without raising an Alarm to examine the body we would be most grateful."

White_Drake
2013-04-30, 07:54 PM
Where is this crypt?

Stormageddon
2013-05-01, 10:45 AM
Where is this crypt?

"It's just to the east of this temple. Please let us know your findings."

White_Drake
2013-05-01, 02:56 PM
Indeed. Caelain strides out of the temple, heading for the crypt.

Smileybastard
2013-05-01, 03:29 PM
Tysalat

Tysalat quickly gobbles down his food and heads out after Caelain. I think I better keep an eye on him.

Stormageddon
2013-05-02, 01:45 AM
Tysalat

Tysalat quickly gobbles down his food and heads out after Caelain. I think I better keep an eye on him.

You head outside and see Caelain strolling east towards a crypt.

Smileybastard
2013-05-02, 06:18 AM
Tysalat

Tysalat follows, no intent on remaining unseen. He is curious as to the cause and if he can be of help as well.

Stormageddon
2013-05-02, 04:33 PM
Indeed. Caelain strides out of the temple, heading for the crypt.

As you reach the crypt. You see a short fight of stairs leading down to a door that is well maintained. Above the door is the symbol you recognize as the leaf of the Warden. No light illumines this area. As you approach the hair on the back of your neck stands up, there is a foulness in the air.

Smileybastard
2013-05-02, 04:43 PM
Tysalat

Tysalat draws his sword and speaks a few cryptic words and his sword illuminates with the red of the sun.

I fear something evil is afoot.

White_Drake
2013-05-02, 05:06 PM
Caelain regards the crypt entrance with trepidation. You may be right. This is my task, but perhaps we should get the others? Of course, it's probably nothing; no need to disturb them frivolously...

Smileybastard
2013-05-02, 05:10 PM
Tysalat

I was about to suggest we get the others or at least those who would wish to help. I do not think it frivolous, not with the world as it is these days.

White_Drake
2013-05-02, 06:03 PM
Caelain attempts to mask his relief upon hearing Tysalat's reply. Indeed. In that case, let us go to the inn.

Smileybastard
2013-05-02, 06:27 PM
Tysalat

Tysalat head back to the inn and find the members of the group.

Caelain and I have gone to the crypt at the request of ours hosts to investigate some deaths and it seems what is there is evil and so we have returned to see if any of you wish to aid us in the investigation.

BarnabasBailey
2013-05-02, 07:06 PM
Maechus nodded as Kona explained herself. "Politics? I didn't... He stopped for a second, looking up at Tysalat as he excused himself, before continuing. "I didn't know you were connected to the Keepers. I suppose that makes you the most important person in the caravan, especially now that..."

No, Maechus, no! He stopped in his tracks, chiding himself. Keep it positive. "As for me, I was looking to find a city to further my study of the sword. I heard that the author of this..." He pulled his worn hardcover out from his bag, a manual of fencing techniques. "...may have compiled most of his information in New Orcus. There's all sorts of fighters there, much more than I could find in my home town. And I need all the exposure to other schools I can find if I hope to one day be the greatest..."

He stopped again, this time more out of embarrassment than anything else. Fortunately, Tysalat came back, talking about evil in the crypt, saving him from having to finish that thought. Maechus stood. "I don't know how much help I'll be, but I suppose I can at least offer my eyes."

Saidoro
2013-05-03, 01:19 AM
Kona grinned at Maechus's declaration of her importance and was about to correct him when he trailed off. Her grin shrunk into a more subdued smile at the direction he took the conversation and she noted his reluctance to speak about the attack. By the time Tysalat had returned the girl had already decided that something must be done with this swordsman if she was ever to have a conversation in which he did not become too abashed to speak.
I am sure you will be perfectly helpful.
Kona stood slowly, still feeling traces of fatigue from the kobold attack earlier.
I'll join you as well.

Smileybastard
2013-05-03, 05:25 AM
Tysalat

Excellent! Then let's return and see what we can find in the crypt.

Stormageddon
2013-05-03, 08:57 AM
You return to the crypt the door to the crypt is closed.

Smileybastard
2013-05-03, 01:00 PM
Tysalat

Tysalat carefully approaches the door and tries to open it.

Stormageddon
2013-05-03, 01:09 PM
Tysalat

Tysalat carefully approaches the door and tries to open it.

The door creaks loudly as you open the door. On the inside you see steps leading downwards. The area is clean and looks well maintained. Here cravings representing the scriptures of both The Lord and the warden cover the walls on both sides. The floors is dirt and the walls stone.

Smileybastard
2013-05-03, 03:00 PM
Tysalat

Tysalat holds his sword high and descends

White_Drake
2013-05-03, 03:40 PM
Caelain peer into the crypt over Tysalat's shoulder. Charming place.

BarnabasBailey
2013-05-03, 03:58 PM
Following Tysalat's cue, Maechus drew his sword, his shield still strapped to his back. "Respect, Mister Blackbottle," he said, too focused on his surroundings to get properly angry. "The dead are interred here, you know."

His eyes wandered over the frescoes. "You guys mentioned evil. Any specifics?"

Smileybastard
2013-05-03, 04:25 PM
Tysalat

Nothing specific. A feeling we both had really. That feeling combined with unexplainable deaths made us feel caution was the best approach.

Smileybastard
2013-05-03, 07:11 PM
Tysalat

Tysalat remains very vigilant as he descends.

Perception qd20+7

Smileybastard
2013-05-03, 07:13 PM
Tysalat

He also examines the reliefs to see if they have any special meaning or have been defaced.

Perception [roll0]
Knowlage(religion)[roll1]

Stormageddon
2013-05-03, 11:00 PM
As you desend into the earth the air about you becomes colder and colder. The stairs seem to go on for a long time. The deeper you climb down the stairs start to become less well define. Cobwebs become more frequent, dust covers the cravings making them hard to read.

You come to the end of the stair case the passage widens out into a very large room. Bodies are laid out in neat rows covered in shrouds on the dirt floor. At the feet of each cadaver is a plaque with writing on it stating the name of the person and the date that person passed on.

In the center of the room there is a statue showing a beautiful women covered in a dress of leaves standing next to a hulking man wielding a bastard sword with hair made of fire.

Stormageddon
2013-05-03, 11:10 PM
Tysalat

He also examines the reliefs to see if they have any special meaning or have been defaced.

Perception [roll0]
Knowlage(religion)[roll1]

The cravings depict the life and death scriptures of the Lord and Warden. The Lord cravings look like they were craved more recently than the ones of the Warden. Plus they look like they were craved in around the already cravings of the Warden.

They tell a tale of the Warden's life, death, and rebirth that all must go through cycling endless until one achieves ones with the world and remains endless as one with earth.

The lord cravings depict heroic deed of legendary men and women who earned enough honor in life to ascend to live in realm of the sun with The Lord.

White_Drake
2013-05-04, 05:44 AM
Caelain glances towards Maechus.
Whatever may have happened to the consciousnesses of those interred here, I believe it is safe to say that smiting impertinent anatomists is far down any lists of priorities which they might have.
Stepping cautiously farther into the pit, Caelain squints out into the gloom before turning to his companions.
Anyway
he says, raising his voice,
We have an assignment, or at least I do, and I would like to request your aid. There have been several deaths recently, apparently from some sort of supernatural disease. I have been tasked with determining the cause. I imagine these bodies are arrayed in some fashion, so the best course of action is to find the most recently dead.
Upon saying this, Caelain moves forward to examine the nearest plaques.

Smileybastard
2013-05-04, 07:36 AM
Tysalat

Tysalat stands centrally holding his sword aloft to present the light as best he can.

He keeps his eyes open for any sign of nefarious activity.

Stormageddon
2013-05-04, 02:27 PM
Caelain glances towards Maechus.
Whatever may have happened to the consciousnesses of those interred here, I believe it is safe to say that smiting impertinent anatomists is far down any lists of priorities which they might have.
Stepping cautiously farther into the pit, Caelain squints out into the gloom before turning to his companions.
Anyway
he says, raising his voice,
We have an assignment, or at least I do, and I would like to request your aid. There have been several deaths recently, apparently from some sort of supernatural disease. I have been tasked with determining the cause. I imagine these bodies are arrayed in some fashion, so the best course of action is to find the most recently dead.
Upon saying this, Caelain moves forward to examine the nearest plaques.

After reading multiple plaques you finally find a plague that determined death as today's date. The name reads 'Norgod Fastan'.

White_Drake
2013-05-04, 03:57 PM
Caelain kneels by the corpse.
This must be the one the funeral was for. If there are no objections, I can begin an examination of the cadaver. You may want to cover your mouth and nose. Also, I will need some light.
Caelain takes a handkerchief from his jacket and ties it around his face before removing the shroud from the body.

Smileybastard
2013-05-04, 06:21 PM
Tysalat

Tysalat moves closer to the body bringing the light of his sword closer and mumbls the words to illuminate it again.

Caelain, carefully remove the should if you would.

Saidoro
2013-05-05, 12:58 AM
Kona advanced slowly into the tomb, keeping an eye out for anything strange. She came to a stop in front of the flaming haired statue, contemplating how it was probably intended to call to mind glorious thoughts of the Lord in his might, yet to her most resembled her uncle after he'd had too much to drink.
When Caelain identified the correct corpse she came to kneel beside it, retrieving two sticks of incense from her bag and lighting them with the barest whisper, thanking the Warden that their local priest had been so concerned for her spiritual well being when she left, and that he had chosen so fragrant a way to express it.
Len Vo.
Perception:[roll0]

White_Drake
2013-05-05, 10:03 AM
Caelain checks his enthusiasm and carefully peels back the body's wrappings. Of course, delicate handling is essential, so no damage is inadvertently dealt to the subject.

Smileybastard
2013-05-05, 01:20 PM
Tysalat

Tysalat checks the body as it is unwrapped.

Perception[roll]1d20+4[roll]
Heal [roll0]
Knowl(Religion) [roll1]

Smileybastard
2013-05-05, 01:23 PM
Tysalat

perception[roll0]

Stormageddon
2013-05-05, 01:26 PM
Caelain checks his enthusiasm and carefully peels back the body's wrappings. Of course, delicate handling is essential, so no damage is inadvertently dealt to the subject.

Underneath the shroud you find a big redhead man with a beard. His skin is very pale. His figures seem unusually long and his figure nails look sharp.

White_Drake
2013-05-05, 08:57 PM
Caelain begins by examining the body before making his starting X-incision with a dagger honed to a razor edge. Once the incision has been made, he peels back the skin to reveal the abdominal cavity and starts inspecting the internal organs.

Perception: [roll0]
Heal: [roll1]
Knowledge (Arcana): [roll2]
Knowledge (Nature): [roll3]

(I didn't really know which knowledge would be appropriate, and I lack local.)

Smileybastard
2013-05-05, 09:01 PM
Tysalat

Tysalat looks carefully and the hands. The hands are not right. They look like the claws of a ghoul.

That could certainly explain the oddness of the deaths.

White_Drake
2013-05-05, 11:31 PM
Caelain looks up from his work in alarm. Ghoul? Maechus! Stave in the skull of this thing! We should do the same for any others with plaques from the last week!

BarnabasBailey
2013-05-06, 02:06 PM
Maechus recoiled. "What? Are you mad, Mister Blackbottle? First you crack wise about a house of the dead, and now you want me to desecrate corpses?" He pointed his rapier at the alchemist's head with a look of disgust. "I'll have no part of it. What possible disease could justify doing anything like that?"

Wait, he thought to himself. Did they mention ghouls? Maechus could have sworn he had heard something about them in one of his books...

Knowledge (Dungeoneering) check: 1d20+1

Smileybastard
2013-05-06, 07:09 PM
Tysalat

It may be possible we may need to do such a thing or it may rise as a ghoul. It is the result of their bite often.

White_Drake
2013-05-06, 08:32 PM
Caelain reluctantly restrains himself from immediately destroying the nearest potential ghoul. Is that how it spreads? It seems unlikely that they could have possibly missed being bitten by a ghoul, and I do not see any bite marks... He slowly tips the body up to check the underside for bite-marks, being careful to prevent the entrails from spilling out.

Smileybastard
2013-05-06, 08:38 PM
Tysalat

One would think they would understand that. Could it be some new evil that is similar to ghouls?

Stormageddon
2013-05-07, 01:59 AM
As Caelain inspects the body it starts to move. It opens its' eyes to reveal two glowing orbs where its' eyes should be. It grins a ghastly grin showing pointed teeth.

Behind you start to hear a creaking sound as two other bodies start to move in a jerking fashion.

Smileybastard
2013-05-07, 05:31 AM
Tysalat

It seems that the moment of doubt has passed. Caelain take it out before it rises. Maechus take the one closest to you.

Tysalat steps towards the one near him and attacks.

Tysalat moves to C7
Attack[roll0]
Damage[roll1]

Saidoro
2013-05-07, 09:05 AM
Kona stayed silent throughout the discussion, not being truly certain what a ghoul even was. She could have sworn she'd heard the word in some old story or other, but nothing came to mind. And as the corpse before her moved she let out a gasp of shock and took a few steps backward without thinking. Tysalat's shout brought her back to thought and noticing the two other ghouls closing in she raised her hand and loosed a thin lance of flame at the nearest.
Kal Vo!
Moving to G8 and using a targeted flame jet on the ghoul in F5, touch attack to hit.
Touch attack: [roll0]
Fire Damage:[roll1]

White_Drake
2013-05-07, 09:59 AM
Caelain recoils in shock and revulsion from the prone ghoul. Oh, sonuva... I hate undead! Half of the damn things don't even have internal organs! You ever try to disembowel a skeleton? Stay Dead! Caelain rambles frantically as he raises his dagger to strike at the ghoul, as he is wont to do when stressed.
Attacking the prone ghoul: [roll0] Damage:[roll1] Sneak Attack: [roll2]

BarnabasBailey
2013-05-07, 12:02 PM
"What?" The undead? The undead? Slowly, Maechus turned to face one of the beasts as it shambled towards him. "Warden preserve me, this has been quite a d..." He stopped when he heard Kona's words of power, turning his body to give her a line of sight to the beast.

Remember your training, he told himself. Feet planted, forming a clear line to your opponent. Grip firm, but not tight. He stepped forward, in an attempt to follow up Kona's fire blast with a clean thrust to the chest.

5-foot Step to E6, followed by a basic melee attack on the ghoul at F5: [roll0]

Stormageddon
2013-05-08, 04:17 PM
Caelain recoils in shock and revulsion from the prone ghoul. Oh, sonuva... I hate undead! Half of the damn things don't even have internal organs! You ever try to disembowel a skeleton? Stay Dead! Caelain rambles frantically as he raises his dagger to strike at the ghoul, as he is wont to do when stressed.
Attacking the prone ghoul: [roll0] Damage:[roll1] Sneak Attack: [roll2]

As tysalt blade cuts into the fiend. Caelain follows up with a swift dagger through the creatures eye. The creature drops to the ground twiches than moves no longer.

Stormageddon
2013-05-08, 04:28 PM
"What?" The undead? The undead? Slowly, Maechus turned to face one of the beasts as it shambled towards him. "Warden preserve me, this has been quite a d..." He stopped when he heard Kona's words of power, turning his body to give her a line of sight to the beast.

Remember your training, he told himself. Feet planted, forming a clear line to your opponent. Grip firm, but not tight. He stepped forward, in an attempt to follow up Kona's fire blast with a clean thrust to the chest.

5-foot Step to E6, followed by a basic melee attack on the ghoul at F5: [roll0]

The ghoul deftly dodges both attacks. It screams an unnatural cry as it assualts maeshus with its claws and teeth.

claw [roll0] d [roll1]
claw [roll2] d [roll3]
Bite [roll4] d [roll5]

Stormageddon
2013-05-08, 04:32 PM
Jumping out of the darkness a ghoul recklessly flails itself at tysalt.

claw [roll0] d [roll1]
claw [roll2] d [roll3]
Bite [roll4] d [roll5]

Smileybastard
2013-05-08, 04:45 PM
Tysalat

Tysalat screams as the ghoul bites him viciously.

Smileybastard
2013-05-08, 05:03 PM
Tysalat

Tysalat raises his glowing sword and calls on the Lord to heal them all.

Channeling roll [roll0]

White_Drake
2013-05-08, 06:16 PM
Caelain circles around to sandwich the ghoul ripping into Tysalat. Tysalat, get on his flank! As he moves up to the beast, Caelain lunges with his dagger.

Attack: [roll0] (additional +2 pending flank) Damage: [roll1] Sneak Attack: [roll2] (pending flank)

Smileybastard
2013-05-08, 06:20 PM
Tysalat

Tysalat will shift to flank if possible.

BarnabasBailey
2013-05-08, 08:40 PM
"Ack! Graah!" Maechus recoiled as claws dug into his skin, drawing blood. Not even the rush of divine energy could close the gashes up properly. And then, the teeth. Maechus blanched as his arm came up, deflecting the ghoul with a shout that was unambiguously colored with terror. "Away... a-away with you! Go away!"

He abandoned any sense of proper form, leaning in to give the monster a lunge with the whole of his weight.

Attack roll with the rapier. Damage 1d6+2l

Saidoro
2013-05-08, 10:19 PM
Seeing Maechus's distress Kona reached for the power deep within her and drew it forth, calling up the last dregs of fire and throwing them at the ghoul in a tightly controlled wave.
Len Vokun!
Her strength all but spent, Kona nearly fell to the ground, only managing to stay upright by staggering towards the nearby statue of the Lord and steadying herself against it.
Using burning flash in a line shape hitting G7, G6, F5 and F4(unless the ghoul moved) then moving to F8. DC 15 reflex save for half damage from the ghoul, nothing else hit.

Stormageddon
2013-05-09, 02:30 AM
Caelain circles around to sandwich the ghoul ripping into Tysalat. Tysalat, get on his flank! As he moves up to the beast, Caelain lunges with his dagger.

Attack: [roll0] (additional +2 pending flank) Damage: [roll1] Sneak Attack: [roll2] (pending flank)

Artfully you stab the dagger into the back of the undead abomination severing the spinal cord from the brain. The ghoul drops dead again.

Stormageddon
2013-05-09, 02:33 AM
"Ack! Graah!" Maechus recoiled as claws dug into his skin, drawing blood. Not even the rush of divine energy could close the gashes up properly. And then, the teeth. Maechus blanched as his arm came up, deflecting the ghoul with a shout that was unambiguously colored with terror. "Away... a-away with you! Go away!"

He abandoned any sense of proper form, leaning in to give the monster a lunge with the whole of his weight.

Attack roll with the rapier. Damage 1d6+2l

Panic grips your heart as you flail with your sword.

Stormageddon
2013-05-09, 02:35 AM
Seeing Maechus's distress Kona reached for the power deep within her and drew it forth, calling up the last dregs of fire and throwing them at the ghoul in a tightly controlled wave.
Len Vokun!
Her strength all but spent, Kona nearly fell to the ground, only managing to stay upright by staggering towards the nearby statue of the Lord and steadying herself against it.
Using burning flash in a line shape hitting G7, G6, F5 and F4(unless the ghoul moved) then moving to F8. DC 15 reflex save for half damage from the ghoul, nothing else hit.

Fire streaks forth from your striking the ghoul. Flames engulf the creature and burn the most of its' flesh away. It glares menacingly at you!

Stormageddon
2013-05-09, 02:38 AM
The ghoul thirsty for revenge rushes by Macheus to sink its' teeth into Kona.

[roll0] d [roll1]

Saidoro
2013-05-09, 07:48 AM
Aagh!
Kona stumbles backwards, exhausted and in pain. She draws on the very last whispers of her fire, fighting to avoid blacking out as she does so.
Vo!
This time the girl does fall, her head swimming and her legs seemingly unable to support her.
Five foot step to E9, using flame jet in a cone to hit only the ghoul. DC 14 reflex save for half damage.

White_Drake
2013-05-09, 09:45 AM
Caelain hears Kona's scream and whips his head around to focus on the last ghoul. As flames seethe in the confines of the crypt, he runs forward with his dagger held high.

Attack: 1d20+3 Damage: [roll0]

Stormageddon
2013-05-09, 11:15 AM
Caelin digs his dagger from the back and Kona blasts it with fire. The ghoul stops all movement; Freezing in mid air in with nothing but its' toes touching the ground and it's back at an impossible angle that makes you question if the laws of gravity are on holiday.

The creature suddenly jerks and in a sultry female voice that clearly does not belong to the once male creature speaks "I am but the messenger."

The body falls to the ground and moves no more.

White_Drake
2013-05-09, 04:11 PM
Caelain slowly surveys the room, taking in his comrades' injuries and ensuring that no more ghouls lurked about. Well, that was unexpected. It seems as though you people were not as fortunate as I, which bodes ill if they are indeed only messengers. Also, it begs the question: messengers for whom?

Smileybastard
2013-05-09, 06:52 PM
Tysalat

Tysalat raises his sword lighting up the room and calls upon the Lord to heal them again as he surveys for more entities.

Channel [roll0]
Perception [roll1]

BarnabasBailey
2013-05-10, 07:06 PM
Maechus had to try, and try again, to return his sword to his sheath. His hands were shaking, his body ached from barely closed wounds, and every emotion he had succeeded to hold back during the fight was slowly coming back all at once. He still tried, and tried again, to keep himself from shutting down entirely.

"Miss Briggs?" He turned to the sorceress. "Are you okay? Miss Briggs, I'm so sorry. I couldn't stop him, and... I'm sorry."

Smileybastard
2013-05-10, 07:08 PM
Tysalat

Is everyone alright?

Saidoro
2013-05-10, 09:59 PM
The bite mark on her arm still ached even after Tysalat's magic had coursed through it, but Kona was thinking that was the last thing Maechus needed to hear at the moment.
I'm alright, just overdrew a bit. Not your fault.
Kona struggled her way to her feet, her legs seeming to prefer staying collapsed to reentering the fray. The woman shivered, the underground chill seeming far colder now that her inner flames were burning so dangerously low.
Whoever they're messengers for, I reckon that your employer may know more about it than we do. So finish up your investigations and get back to them so the rest of us can get back to somewhere with warm food.
Another shiver wave of shivers passed through Kona as she slowly made her way to stand near the door, this one larger and more visible.
And blankets.

White_Drake
2013-05-10, 10:27 PM
Looking at the state of his company, Caelain decides to cut the dissection as short as possible; his traveling companions were all mostly spent, and between a combination of the condition of the cadavers and the crudity of his tools he was unlikely to discover anything relevant anyway.
I will keep this brief; it is rather obvious what the disease was, even if the details are murky. What we need most is some rest.
Caelain glances at the knife in his hand before returning his gaze to the other party members.
I had this sharpened for surgical work, but after using it on those things it will be too dull for dissection. May I please borrow a whetstone from someone?
After asking the question, Caelain seats himself to quickly finish the dissection.

BarnabasBailey
2013-05-10, 11:06 PM
Maechus was busy staring down at the ghoul. The one he could not hit. The one he let simply slip past him and...

"Whetstone?" Maechus began rifling through his pockets, eventually producing a relatively fresh looking stone. "Don't lose it, Mister Blackbottle, if you would. It's the only one I bought." He sighed, staring back down at his mark once more. "New Orcus seems so far away right now, huh?"

Smileybastard
2013-05-10, 11:31 PM
Tysalat

Tysalat nods in thought.

The voice that delivered the message was female. I assume that the source of this evil is a woman and she magically spoke through the ghoul.

Knowledge(Religion)[roll0]

White_Drake
2013-05-11, 02:34 AM
Caelain accepts Maechus' whetstone with a nod.
My gratitude. I return it shortly.
After spending several minutes honing his dagger to its previous razor edge, he concludes the dissection.
Heal: [roll0]

Stormageddon
2013-05-11, 10:03 PM
Caelain accepts Maechus' whetstone with a nod.
My gratitude. I return it shortly.
After spending several minutes honing his dagger to its previous razor edge, he concludes the dissection.
Heal: [roll0]

You start removing organs all of them show signs of decade that show the rate of someone who just died. The brain is more black than the normal gray that you are used to seeing.

White_Drake
2013-05-12, 11:08 AM
Caelain makes a few notes and sketches in his journal before packing his things and reassembling the corpse as much as he is able.
I think I have acquired all the knowledge I can from this. I propose that I, or a suitable representative chosen from among us, inform the head keeper and then retire to the inn. We can decide upon any further action in the morning.
Having said his piece, Caelain draws the shroud back over the cadaver and looks expectantly at the other members of the party.

Smileybastard
2013-05-12, 11:35 AM
Tysalat

Tysalat nods. Lets do that. I can talk to the head keeper. Did you find out anything more from the corpses than they were ghouls? Was there a bite mark?

White_Drake
2013-05-12, 04:10 PM
Caelain turns to reply to Tysalat.
No, the only odd thing is a darkening of the cerebral tissues... I will have to give it more thought. I was not able to find any bit marks though, which is worrisome. I wish I knew more about undead.

Smileybastard
2013-05-12, 04:36 PM
Tyslalat

Tyslalat nods.

Saidoro
2013-05-13, 12:44 AM
Afraid I can't help you there.
Kona rounded the corner of the stairwell and began slowly making her way up it, leaning heavily on the near wall as she did so.
I suggest finishing your discussion above ground. I, on the other hand, shall be finishing my dinner and finding a bed at the Inn.

Smileybastard
2013-05-13, 09:53 AM
Tyslalat

Tyslalat heads up the stairs after the others have done so ensuring their way is lit.

BarnabasBailey
2013-05-13, 07:14 PM
Maechus nodded. "I, for one, relish the chance to approach this again after a full night's sleep, if it's available. I am in no shape to be delving deeper into anything related to diabolists today." Maechus made to move up the stairs after Kona, holding his hand out to Caelain as he did so. "My whetstone, Mister Blackbottle?"

Smileybastard
2013-05-13, 08:27 PM
Tyslalat

Tyslalat nods. Evil is not an easy thing to face my friend, but know, Maechus, that the Lord stand by us and will aid us. Like the light of my blade, he keeps the darkness at bay.

White_Drake
2013-05-14, 03:03 AM
Caelain's eyes flick back towards Maechus, and he returns the whetstone.
Ah, yes, of course. Thank you. I hope we have not been caught up in a dispute betwixt the keepers and some malefic entity.
He follows Maechus up the stairs.

Smileybastard
2013-05-14, 05:15 AM
Tyslalat

Evil is evil. I would not want to be caught up in a dispute between two parties who are not evil, but if evil is involved I am only happy to be able to assist in its resolution.

White_Drake
2013-05-14, 09:52 AM
Caelain looks back to Tysalat and replies with a smirk.
We have been paid to guard the caravan, not to go to war with whoever is controlling these ghouls. Hopefully they will have learned their lesson.

Stormageddon
2013-05-14, 03:14 PM
You make it up the stairs without further interruption. You see that the lights are still on in the Keeper's temple. When you approach the entrance you see people moving about conducting business and the head table where the leader of the Keepers sits.

BarnabasBailey
2013-05-14, 08:43 PM
"Mister Blackbottle is..." Maechus was about to say "right," but he stopped himself. He was simply too frazzled to trust any opinion he had right now. In the morning, after he had had his full night's sleep and managed to reorganize himself, then it would be a better time to think about whether or not Mister Blackbottle was right.

"I don't think I'll be required to talk to the Keeper, so unless you all need me for something, I shall retire alongside Miss Briggs." With that, he pocketed his whetstone and made to head back for the inn, with only a momentary pause to ensure he was not, indeed, still needed.

Smileybastard
2013-05-14, 09:03 PM
Tyslalat

Please retire my good man.

Tyslalat heads off to find the leader.

White_Drake
2013-05-15, 05:37 AM
Caelain follows Tysalat.

Saidoro
2013-05-15, 09:51 AM
If we are needed we should help, but I doubt we will be with the keepers informed.
Her piece spoken, Kona set off towards the inn, intent on finding the innkeeper and securing a room.

Stormageddon
2013-05-15, 02:38 PM
If we are needed we should help, but I doubt we will be with the keepers informed.
Her piece spoken, Kona set off towards the inn, intent on finding the innkeeper and securing a room.

You return to the inn the crowd has died down by this point. A few of the local diehard drinkers are at the bar. A couple of heads turn to leer at you as you walk by. The innkeeper is now sitting on a stool looking exhausted. He looks up at you "what can I do f'ya?"

Stormageddon
2013-05-15, 02:40 PM
"Mister Blackbottle is..." Maechus was about to say "right," but he stopped himself. He was simply too frazzled to trust any opinion he had right now. In the morning, after he had had his full night's sleep and managed to reorganize himself, then it would be a better time to think about whether or not Mister Blackbottle was right.

"I don't think I'll be required to talk to the Keeper, so unless you all need me for something, I shall retire alongside Miss Briggs." With that, he pocketed his whetstone and made to head back for the inn, with only a momentary pause to ensure he was not, indeed, still needed.

Less leers for you but some of the "guests" look at you down to your sword and go back to their drinking.

Stormageddon
2013-05-15, 02:42 PM
Caelain follows Tysalat.

You make it up the stairs without further interruption. You see that the lights are still on in the Keeper's temple. When you approach the entrance you see people moving about conducting business and the head table where the leader of the Keepers sits.

White_Drake
2013-05-15, 09:49 PM
Caelain takes a step back before making a grand, sweeping gesture towards the door.
Shall we make our entrance?

Smileybastard
2013-05-15, 10:58 PM
Tyslalat

Tyslalat approaches the leader and tips his head in a bow. We have checked the crypt and there are creatures there that are akin to ghouls, but they do not seem to have been bitten. The most recently interred body rose and we had to put it an another ... to rest.

White_Drake
2013-05-15, 11:40 PM
Caelain makes a quick interjection.
Three in total, actually.

Saidoro
2013-05-16, 12:02 AM
Kona is too tired to even notice the looks she's getting, much less respond to them.
We need a few rooms for the night, myself my friend here and two others.

BarnabasBailey
2013-05-16, 05:45 PM
Maechus takes a moment to look back at the people around the bar. Were... were some of them looking at him? He noted a few glances at his sword; was that the reason? It was probably rare to see someone wielding a rapier in this part of the country. Yeah, that was it. It was not like they were at all interested in him.

When he turned to the stool, Kona was already talking business. "How were you intending to divvy it up, Miss Briggs? I suppose separate rooms might be a tad expensive, even if our patron here has the available room, but at the very least, it would probably be appropriate that we not sleep in mixed company."

Saidoro
2013-05-17, 12:48 AM
Kona had just wanted to walk in a straight line to the nearest bed and here she was being asked to make decisions. The girl had a momentary urge to burn the inn down and sleep in the ashes, but deemed it impractical given how little fire she had remaining. Glancing about the room, Kona collected her thoughts and then looked back to the innkeeper.
How many rooms do you have available?