PDA

View Full Version : What classes are 'spellcasting classes'?

Cheiromancer
2013-05-13, 01:15 PM
I was going to ask this in the Simple Q&A, but I don't think it is that simple. It looks to me as if a spellcasting class is one with a spell-list and defined spells per day. A class that improves or advances another class is not a spellcasting class.

Thus wizard is a spellcasting class, but Loremaster is not. Ur-Priest is a spellcasting class, but Mystic Theurge is not. For if Mystic Theurge were a spellcasting class, then one could advance it with a level of Loremaster.

When a new loremaster level is gained, the character gains new spells per day (and spells known, if applicable) as if she had also gained a level in a spellcasting class she belonged to before she added the prestige class. She does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. This essentially means that she adds the level of loremaster to the level of some other spellcasting class the character has, then determines spells per day, spells known, and caster level accordingly.

In other words, a wiz3/clr3/MT1 could take a level of Loremaster, choose MT as the class advanced, and thereby advance both his wizard and cleric levels in addition to getting more skill ranks and a Loremaster secret.

Maybe that doesn't seem ridiculous. But consider if, for the sake of argument, one were to consider a class like Mystic Theurge to be a spellcasting class, and then ask whether it is arcane or divine. Is it both or neither? Suppose it depends on the kind of spellcasting advanced. Then if Mystic Theurge were a spellcasting class because it advanced spellcasting, it would have to be both arcane and divine, since it advances both arcane and divine spellcasting. Then in a build where Loremaster advances MT, the Loremaster class would also be both arcane and divine, since Loremaster would inherit its type(s) from the spellcasting class it advances, which in this case is MT. But if Loremaster were both arcane and divine it could be advanced by either half of MT- divine spellcasting, say. A loop would result that would greatly increase the level of wizard spellcasting, since wizard spellcasting increases by +1 every cycle. This is surely ridiculous. And thus neither Loremaster nor Mystic Theurge would be spellcasting classes.

If Mystic Theurge is not a spellcasting class, then the caster level of an Ur-Priest is very low. A wiz10/UP2/MT 8 has a caster level of only 7.

To determine the caster level of an ur-priest, add the character’s ur-priest levels to one-half of his levels in other spellcasting classes. (Any levels gained in the cleric class by an ex-cleric don’t count.)

The spells per day and spells known would be as a wiz18/UP10, but the rules for Ur-Priest look strictly at class levels, and wouldn't count MT levels at all. 2 Ur-Priest levels plus half the wizard levels is only 7. I am not sure of this, or I would reply to Q1617 of the Simple Q&A thread.

TL;DR: If Loremaster and Mystic Theurge were spellcasting classes they could, by their wording, advance each other. But if they are not, then Ur-Priest does not work well with these classes.

SaintRidley
2013-05-13, 01:22 PM
Mystic Theurge does not have a spells/day table and is therefore not a spellcasting class. Loremaster does not advance Mystic Theurge.

As for Ur-Priest, Mystic Theurge advances caster level and casting of the Ur-Priest, leaving a Wiz 10/Ur-Priest 2/ MT 8 with an Ur-Priest caster level of 19.

SinsI
2013-05-13, 01:31 PM
Mystic Theurge is a perfectly fine spellcasting class.
The thing is, it doesn't gain any new spells or spell slots per level, instead it has the ability "gains new spells per day (and spells known, if applicable) as if she had also gained a level in previous classes".
So if you chose to use your Loremaster ability on MT, it won't advance that ability of Mystic Theurge, as "she does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained", wasting it.

Cheiromancer
2013-05-13, 01:53 PM
As for Ur-Priest, Mystic Theurge advances caster level and casting of the Ur-Priest, leaving a Wiz 10/Ur-Priest 2/ MT 8 with an Ur-Priest caster level of 15.

A Wiz 10/Ur-Priest 2/ MT 8 has spells per day and spells known of a Wiz 18/Ur-Priest 10, as per the rules for MT

When a new mystic theurge level is gained, the character gains new spells per day as if he had also gained a level in any one arcane spellcasting class he belonged to before he added the prestige class and any one divine spellcasting class he belonged to previously… This essentially means that he adds the level of mystic theurge to the level of whatever other arcane spellcasting class and divine spellcasting class the character has, then determines spells per day and caster level accordingly.

The general rule is that caster level = class level. Adding +1 level spellcasting advancement normally also increases caster level by +1. However Ur-Priest has special rules for determining caster level. These overwrite the general rules, since specific trumps general. The Ur-Priest's rules look-up the Ur-Priest's class level, which is 2, and add half the other spellcasting levels, which in this case is half of 10, for a grand total of 7.

SaintRidley
2013-05-13, 02:00 PM
A Wiz 10/Ur-Priest 2/ MT 8 has spells per day and spells known of a Wiz 18/Ur-Priest 10, as per the rules for MT

Yes. And I was addressing the caster level, not the equivalent casting progression.

The general rule is that caster level = class level. Adding +1 level spellcasting advancement normally also increases caster level by +1. However Ur-Priest has special rules for determining caster level. These overwrite the general rules, since specific trumps general. The Ur-Priest's rules look-up the Ur-Priest's class level, which is 2, and add half the other spellcasting levels, which in this case is half of 10, for a grand total of 7.

Since MT is advancing Ur-Priest casting, both the spells per day and the caster level are advanced as if by a level of Ur-Priest.

I did make a mistake with my calculation of caster level, but it wasn't that I put too much caster level.

A Wiz 10/Ur-Priest 2/MT 8 has the following caster level:

Wizard caster level 18 (Wiz 10 + MT 8 applied to Wiz)
Ur-Priest caster level 19 (Wiz 9 (half of Wizard caster level) + 10 Ur-Priest (from Ur-Priest 2 and MT 8 applied to Ur-Priest)).

Mystic Theurge adds directly to the classes it's applied to. It does not have its own caster level, but it also doesn't count as null. You simply add MT levels to each side and calculate from there.

An Ur-Priest 2/Full Spellcasting Advancing Class 8 is treated as an Ur-Priest 10 for the Ur-Priest level portion of its caster level. There's no specific trumping general here, because the specific and the general don't meet, because this isn't specification of that particular general.

Cheiromancer
2013-05-13, 06:12 PM
I think I get it now: Increment the spellcasting classes by MT for everything to do with spellcasting, then apply the Ur-Priest’s caster level rule using the incremented class levels. I guess the relevant rule is from the text of Mystic Theurge:

…he adds the level of mystic theurge to the level of whatever other arcane spellcasting class and divine spellcasting class the character has, then determines spells per day and caster level accordingly.
The calculation involved in determining an ur-priest’s caster level is covered by the bolded text, and so in the example of a Wiz 10/Ur-Priest 2/MT 8 we do not use the Wizard class level (which is 10), but instead the Wizard class level after the level of the Mystic Theurge has been added to it. Which is 18. Similarly we don’t use the class level of the Ur-Priest (which is 2), but the level after MT has been added, namely 10. The Ur-Priest calculation is according to the following rule to get (2 + 8) + ½ * (10 + 8) = 19

To determine the caster level of an ur-priest, add the character’s ur-priest levels to one-half of his levels in other spellcasting classes. (Any levels gained in the cleric class by an ex-cleric don’t count.)
I wonder if anyone has a different argument to bring to bear on this question?

Fiery Diamond
2013-05-13, 06:23 PM
Something I always thought was really odd about the way MT is phrased: if you go by strict RAW without any interpretation, you can't increase your spells known (for spont casters)/spells automatically added to your spellbook (for wizards and other prepared arcane casters). Spells available (for divine classes) seems to be simply tied to whether you have spells per day available for that level in that class, so there's no problem with them. And I suppose forcing prepped arcane casters to shell out cash to improve their spellbook could be used as a balancing tool. But spont casters? Improving their spells per day but not their spells known is ... kinda pointless, since all it does is open up slots for metamagic.