PDA

View Full Version : Drow Noble Expedition to the Underdark (IC)

Yanisa
2013-06-18, 12:36 PM
It is busy in the ruins of the ex-new-district of Ciarwaith. The expedition sendoff had gained a lot more attention then expected and many nobles houses send an adversary to observe this moment, they seems to be at least curious about a possible new city and are willingly to actively and openly show some level of support. According rumors the queen herself is in the crowd, but if she is she is in disguise because none of the Drows even look related to the royal house. Nevertheless the rumors persist even though the highest rank present is the "assistant to the right of the high priest of Lolth".
A couple of other priestess are also at the scene, but they keep to themselves and are even seen arguing at times. It is often seen as a bad sign when the clerics of Lolth dispute in public.
The expedition itself consist of seven Drow that look like a ragtag team of outcast. Not of many of them seem like they are here completely on their own volition. One of the clerics step towards the party and coughs loudly.
Before you guys go we need to settle a couple of issues. She starts with a monotone tone.
"The Queen herself demanded that one of take the role of the expedition leader. This role means that you and your house are completely responsible. Success means that your house will be official credited as the founder of our new city and get to the name. Failure means you die somewhere where your body won't be found, hopefully, and you dishonor both your house and the entire city of Ciarwaith. Because failure is a more likely option if you guys are unable to make a decision we will draw name out of a city or something childish like that."
"Secondly I am forced to remind you that you have some minor funds sponsored by a couple of houses that have too much money. You can ask us for something you feel need for this expedition's success. All request must be evaluated by the supporters so precessing might take days. But they are currently all available here so if you got patience we might get a verdict in a couple of hours. Just remember these funds are not for personal use and not for silly reasons like 'our warrior needs a sharper sword to protects us all.' Be smart and use your brain before bothering us with idiot questions."
"And to finish this... When you finally are ready we got a first order for the expedition leader. The recent earthquakes have left with us with three tunnels. We don't know how deep they are or how far they go but they at least go further then a week worth of scouting. We got a low tunnel that goes even deeper underground. The scouts reported it is getting warming down there. There is a normal tunnel that seems to stay around the same level as our fair city Ciarwiath. The scouts reported a strange fungus growing on the wall and our alchemist have been trying to figure out what it is. One thing is for sure, it tastes sweet and is poisonous. Not worth a scout to find that out, but they can't all be smart. Lastly there is a crack way up which elevation seems to increase faster then any known road towards the surface. Just remember, we don't want a city on the surface yet. The first order would picking what tunnel to explore first." She rattled that all in a rather dull and emotionless speech and ending with a deep sigh. Then she stares at the party impatiently waiting for their responses.

Hazuki
2013-06-18, 01:03 PM
Runa
~

With the presence of so many of Ciarwaith's citizens, albeit hardly any of them of a noteworthy status in the grand scheme of things, Runa was glad to have chosen a most elegant attire before departing for the tunnels that awaited their expedition. It would make a good impression on the few unaware of House Baen'Azoth's rising status, and give her an air of superiority over the party members that wore armor and weaponry; none of which looked particularly regal. With even Micarnolu at her side, she was certain that she looked the most able to lead the group, though she had little time to analyze the group for potential rebels who could attempt to compete for the role.

"If I may," Runa began in a precise and elegant tone, practiced finely in the art of proper Undercommon pronunciation, turning her masked face slightly to face the group without turning her back on the Priestess so as to remain respectful to the woman who was a representative of Lolth herself. "I would like to take the role as the expedition's leader. I possess a great deal of experience in leading groups and forming strategies, having pulled my House back into the status of major merchants through a great deal of effort, along with a good deal of knowledge on how to deal directly with whoever peacefully comes across our path, and the power of the arcane to deal with those who fail to respect our authority. And, I would welcome all of your input for whatever decisions we may have to make; we all have our role to play in this expedition, and I would not diminish the effort or skill of any individual." One last pinch of spice, to secure the silence of the rebels who might speak out in private, but wouldn't dare deny the sanctity of female dominance in the heart of their fair Drow city. "And a female leading the group could only serve to improve our chances of success."

AaronGrimstone
2013-06-18, 05:01 PM
Vorian sighed deeply, if only to himself, at this. He didn't want to speak up, he didn't want to put a vote forward for himself, especially since it was a woman asking to lead, and he had only survived by being content to his position. But Vorian needed to stop the assassination attempts, and if the expedition succeeded it would prove that he was a worthy heir, which would hopefully keep his mother from poisoning him. He stepped forward, not particularly impressed by the woman's dress or attitude.

"Though women are almost always the best choice for leading, and you make many good arguments for why you should lead, I am heir to House Draskel. This means I am one of the few men thought capable of leading, and that position in this expedition is crucial for me gaining experience in this category so I can come back well prepared to take over my House. I can tell you how impartial I would be, but that is hardly worth anything. I'll let my actions support me, and you will find me a fair leader who only exerts influence when it is needed to progress. I'll also deal fairly with others as long as they acknowledge our obvious superiority."

Bluff check to hide the actual reasons he was appointed heir, and his own motivations. [roll0]

Vorian secretly hoped he wouldn't be picked, especially to lead other nobles who tended to be far more stubborn than even a normal Drow. But he had to make a real effort if he was going to ensure his survival.

Njall
2013-06-18, 05:06 PM
"And there we go again. Females should this, females should that. Demons take them all to the darkest pit. At least, this one seems to have a bit of intelligence."
Pharnox takes care to keep his thoughts well hidden, even if he's sure at least half of the males share them. A slow smile appears on his face as he takes a step forwards and bows in front of Runa.
"The reputation of Runirra Baen'Azoth is well-known and it would be a pleasure and a honour to follow her lead in this expedition. For me at least."
He sees no need to fight against the inevitable and at least stepping forward to support Runa can make it looks like he's enjoying that situation.
"Let's hope that expedition gives me some opportunity."

Man on Fire
2013-06-18, 06:46 PM
Micarnolu walked at Runa's side, through keeping carefurlly calculated distance, so her pressence wouldn't take the atention from the mistress. Through that would be pretty hard, even if she actively tried to do it - Lady Baen'Azoth's choice of attire made her elegance and grace overshadow rest of this expedition, especially Micarnolu, with her deeply pragmatical outfit. And so it should be. it's not a place for bodyguard to overshadow the client.

Seeing how the Draskel man decided to challenge her mistress for leadership, even if with fight over sympathy of the rest of this group. The debate so far had some gender-related context, that Micarnolu found hard to fully grasp. She wasn't stupid, as the way other houses treated males haven't slipped under her attention, but being raised in House which simply couldn't allow itself to consider such things, she always found it quite odd habbit of other Drows.

Normally bodyguard doesn't have to make a voice in a debate like this. In this istuation hoewer, she decided to add few words, because they were bound to travel together for some time.

"Pardon me being so blunt to speak." She starts, with traditional bodyguards way of starting the conversation, as she walked closer to Runa. "I'm of the house Hurrnet, on a mission of protecting lady Baen'Azoth. I feel the need to make it clear that my loyalities lies only with the Mistress. I am blade in her hands, but only one person can wield one blade. Even if somebody else shall become the leader of this expedition, I will listen to their orders only if given command to do so from lady Baen'Azoth." Making her loyalties clear, as a good bodyguard should doo in shady situations, Micarnolu walks to stand slighty behind Runa, a place from where she is ready to pretect sorcerress from any assasination attempt, which could happen at this point. As they always do, in worst moment possible.

Samshiir
2013-06-18, 07:29 PM
Saebrae did the best she could to hide her presence among the true nobility of the drow. In order to hide her appearance, her pale skin was completely covered in silver and black cloth, save for her exposed face. Her disguise was not good enough for many citizens of Ciarwaith, to include members of her own House.

Saebrae was intently listening to Baen'Azoth's proposal when a tomato was hurled at and smashed against Saebrae's head. She didn't react to it at all, minus simply wiping the tomato juices from her face. She was used to being treated like this. Strictly speaking, Saebrae was nobility. But in the eyes of Ciarwaith, she was an outcast, a surface-skinned freak.

This is why she was here. None of the drow nobility, not even her own family, would care about the girl being used as fodder during the expedition. If she lives and helps discover a new city, she will have served a better purpose for a real drow nobility.

If she was to be killed during the expedition, a much more likely scenario, she will have served a better purpose for a real drow nobility, anyway.

Saebrae knew that she would have to prove herself on this expedition, otherwise she would be sacrificed or cast aside at the first possible opprotunity that the rest of the expedition could take. Luckily, she knew the area around Ciarwaith better than any drow in the city. She was confident in that. That was her advantage and mode of survival in this expedition: knowledge of the area, everything between Ciarwaith and the surface.

She continued to listen to the debate. She didn't really care who was elected as their leader, she just wanted someone to hurry up and pick so that she could get away from the thousands of prying eyes of Ciarwaith.

A general disguise check to hide Saebrae's presence among the crowd. Although I figure some, such as her family, will be able to spot her immediately. Also, she is one of the seven on the expedition, so probably stands out more than she expects.
[roll0]

Lore232
2013-06-18, 08:30 PM
Nodding to himself he stepped forward with his skeletal companion following behind him. "My lady Runa " he said with a bow "it is ever the honor to serve such a great house, but I do wonder....." pausing for a moment to adjust his ring. "Have you any experince in expolering the depths of underdark .... have you even left our beloved city befor?" he asked, sighing as he shifted his heavy pack onto his other shoulder.

"I of course have no wish to stir up trouble but the city needs someone with experance with the underdark." he continued "and I have no doubt you would do a fine job leading us but, like me I belive you have little expeince in surviaving our treachourus homeland." chuckling "For you have had better things to do befor we have been honored to perform this task." and as he finished he bowed his head once more waiting for her response

OOC
Bluff check to seem friendly
[roll0]

Diplomacy for her to see that another should lead in the form of a wilderness expert and leave her as the teams manager.
[roll1]

AaronGrimstone
2013-06-18, 10:37 PM
Replying to the bodyguard. "The role of leader in an expedition like this is more to keep each other from killing each other, and to make decisions that the group cannot arrive to by itself. Anymore would get a Drow killed, especially a man. I would not think to order anyone of you around." Turning to Lore232's character he says. "But I doubt anyone one of us knows enough about the Underdark to make that a deciding factor. Experience or skill in leading is the trait we're looking for."

"It seems as if this discussion will either end in a tie, or with Runa as the leader, so I will retract my bid for leadership in interest of diplomacy and in keeping these discussions within our group. I do not think it would serve our best interests to let an outside force decide for us."

Vorian says this to keep it from looking like he backing down from weakness, and to prevent a party rift from forming.

Hazuki
2013-06-18, 11:06 PM
Runa
~

The bowing of Pharnox Sardovic was not something Runa had anticipated was likely to happen, and the response was greeted in her mind as something to keep an eye out for, as lip service was all too common in their society. She would know, as it was her specialty, but she gave a curt not in acknowledgement of the male's gesture regardless. As expected of somebody under her command, Micarnolu remained loyal in a time of brief troubles and pleased the sorceress enough to grant her face the tiniest smile, although unseen behind her mask. And the bodyguard's position remained tactically viable throughout, should a chance assassination occur, complimenting Runa's own preparation for the event. Even as they first arrival, a field of intangible force surrounded her to help protect tender flesh from piercing bolts.

The necromancer stepped forward to offer his opinion next, though Runa was rather distracted by the gall of the man to bring a member of the undead to their, not particularly, noble affair, and one so grotesque as a skeleton, no less. His point was fairly valid, as she had not committed any of her considerable lifespan to exploring the further depths of their underground domain, but she did not believe that left her incapable, as she had the mind of a tactician that could adapt to most environments without difficulty, and would be more familiar with other denizens of the Underdark than the majority of their group, having dealt with them many times in the past few decades. And, there was something she had gained from paying attention to those that enlisted her to the expedition.

By the time Vorian opened his mouth, Runa had begun to form a rebuttal, but the others speaking up either in her favor or impartially had apparently swayed his mind. It was good to see that he was wise enough not to continue his challenge. "Your wisdom is welcomed, Vorian." She turned to look towards Yas'in. "I assure you, I am familiar with the denizens of the Underdark from my many dealings, but perhaps I could help sway your concerns with this revalation," She gestured to another one of the seven expedition members, one wrapped in cloth and hiding true self just like Runa herself, but clear enough to her thanks to the group being gathered separately and tracking her since her eyes first landed."Saebrae, if you would please step forward, I would be honored to take you on as my advisor for helping this expedition proceed safely through the Underdark." The small bits of vegetable hanging from the Drow were quite unwelcome, and a poor way of showing one's distaste. "If I may...?" She reacted out two fingers towards Saebrae, gesturing towards the hanging pieces of fruit and allowing her fingers to light up ever so slightly to indicate that she planned to brush away the squishy debris with magic, if the wrapped Drow would allow it.

If Saebrae allows it, Runa casts Prestidigitation to clean the pieces of tomato off of her.

"And I believe, with those concerns settled, I am honorably determined as the leader of this expedition." Runa gave a nod to the Priestess as an official confirmation of their decision. "Assuming her Grace has told us all she knows of the tunnels, my colleagues, we have the matter of requesting equipment and a tunnel to choose. I would take the advice of all of you before offering my own thoughts for either, so, please, let me hear you."

Lore232
2013-06-18, 11:21 PM
Clever little thing he thought as she offered to help the odd drow with her vegtable issue. "If the lady would permit I will swear to your command then." here he coughed buying time to find the proper wording "and conform to your commands." he continued as he thought As long as you stick to the plan that is. He then laid his staff alongside and kneeled befor her, head bowed still. Yet still ever watchful he left his undead graud remain readied but relaxed to prevent any sign of reporch. "For my house is in disgrace and can only hope to serve now." he said, letting a little bit of truth of his situation be know to her. For power is knowledge and control on what you enemy knows is greater still he thought. Waiting for her response he began to wonder which route he should suggest they take.

Samshiir
2013-06-18, 11:50 PM
Runa
~
She gestured to another one of the seven expedition members, one wrapped in cloth and hiding true self just like Runa herself, but clear enough to her thanks to the group being gathered separately and tracking her since her eyes first landed."Saebrae, if you would please step forward, I would be honored to take you on as my advisor for helping this expedition proceed safely through the Underdark."

Me? Saebrae thought. What would she request my presence for? Saebrae hesitently moved foward. She really didn't want to, because she wasn't sure what to expect. She forced herself to step up for that very reason. She nodded in response to the question, unsure of what to say, exactly.

The small bits of vegetable hanging from the Drow were quite unwelcome, and a poor way of showing one's distaste. "If I may...?" She reacted out two fingers towards Saebrae, gesturing towards the hanging pieces of fruit and allowing her fingers to light up ever so slightly to indicate that she planned to brush away the squishy debris with magic, if the wrapped Drow would allow it.

Saebrae flinched her head back at first, but then allowed Runa to do what she would. Saebrae knew it was always less painful when she didn't resist. She was surprised when she wasn't hit. In fact, Runa's act was one of kindness. Saebrae especially did not know how to respond to this situation. She decided standing rigid was the best course of action. Her red eyes reflexively closed tight.

Either she is truly kind, or she is devilishly tricky. I don't know if I can trust her.

"I can help you navigate the underdark... Saebrae stated meekly. She was forgetting something, what was it? She opened her eyes but kept her gaze low, so as not to meet with Runa's. She realized what she was forgetting and quickly added, "...My lady."

AaronGrimstone
2013-06-19, 12:01 PM
Vorian thinks for a moment, then says. "As far as equipment food would be great. I don't think we can depend on it while in the wild. For myself I would like some cheap specialty arrows, and maybe a few doses of poison for arrows of course. I don't really care which path we take, honestly."

He is about to stop talking when he remembers something. "Ma'am." He adds.

Man on Fire
2013-06-19, 12:28 PM
"If I may, Mistress." Micarnolu gets closer to Runa and whispers to her. "It doesn't appear that any members of this expedition posess skills or ability to heal the wounds. Therefore, as your bodyguard I must suggest requesting a supply of items that would compensate for that." She wants to add it's for the case Runa would get wounded, but at last minute decided not to. It would make her look bad as a bodyguard.

Even if somebody here has some healing wands or something liek this, I assume Micarnolu has no way of knowing that.

Njall
2013-06-19, 04:11 PM
Pharnox makes a small bow before speaking.
"Food would be helpful of course but I guess you don't plan to carry everything yourself my lady. It could be best to bring slaves with us."
"And at least, they should be useful to disarm traps.. "
"Honestly, I don't care which tunnel we'll explore but I'll put a vote on the one that goes deeper underground."

I can cast cure light wounds but you are right, Micarnolu can't know that.

Hazuki
2013-06-19, 04:32 PM
The Drow of disgrace kneeling before Runa was an ostentatious display that she saw little need for, not even from her closest of servants, as it almost always required an exaggerated form of subservience that only the most egotistical of their kind would fall for. Besides, perhaps, an action that would show true obedience under the command of a superior, though she didn't want the necromancer's filthy mien anywhere around her unless he made sure to clean himself thoroughly. A nod was given in return anyway. Next was the reaction of the curiously-wrapped Drow, a flinch that told of past abuse and an expectance of punishment. Such was hardly unexpected, given the vegetable matter that previously adorned the girl's elegant wrappings. They were certainly not traditional, but, like Runa's own mask, had something of an exotic appeal to her fashion sense.

"Thank you, Saebrae." Next, was to deal with the suggestions of Vorian. "As her Grace already mentioned, things such as a sharper sword, arrows, or poisons are not practical uses of the money spared by our generous patrons." She took note of Pharnox's added suggestion of food to their diet. "Indeed, though I've prepared a personal store of food, it would be beneficial to carry a large stock for those of us who lacked the foresight to purchase such things. I will present two options for such. As for slaves...I fear they would only intrude upon our already scarce resources, and any slave skilled enough to accompany us would be the subject of many bidding wars, and too valuable to send along with us. As for myself, I believe a map of the nearest explored land through the tunnels would be suitable." Listening next to Micarnolu, she gave a nod in her bodyguard's direction for her valuable contribution, before offering her own thoughts on the route they should take. "The tunnel leading further down seems to be the best choice; warmth is something most of us should be able to handle with little stress, whereas potentially deadly fungus is something the hardy Duergar of the Underdark would be more fit to handle; and we are more likely to find such allies the deeper we go, and they will be able to aid us in that matter. The route to the surface has the drawbacks of both potentially making our presence known to those on the surface and being unsuitable grounds for a new city."

Samshiir
2013-06-19, 06:51 PM
"My lady, if I may make a suggestion. Saebrae waited a few seconds for Runa's approval. Whether approval came within a few seconds or not, she continued anways, because she wasn't used to dealing with other drow directly, "If we are to continue deeper into the underdark from here, we may need more than a simple map to prevent us from getting lost." Saebrae made sure to keep her gaze to the floor as she spoke.

I don't know if compasses exist in this world or not. If not, perhaps something that can cast Know Direction occasionally.

Arkanian
2013-06-20, 01:35 PM
Orgollol leaned against a wall in the shadows, watching the proceedings. There were a few things that he might have wanted, but he didn't particularly feel like drawing attention to himself by asking for them.

Ultimately though, anything he might need could easily be harvested from the Underdark or the corpses of the other expedition members.

Yanisa
2013-06-20, 01:52 PM
The Drow priestess stood motionless for the party barely responding to anything they do or say. She does frown at the thrown tomato and mumbles "Everyone's getting childish.". When Runa finished talking the priestess says: "Congratulation on deciding a 'leader' without making me do more work for this failed plan. As for the funds I advise you to make a list instead of shouting possibilities." She frowned at Vorian's request but doesn't say a thing. "But now that you got a leader you can just pick a tunnel and depart, unless you want to wait hours fort he requested funds. Leaving now will put us all out of our misery faster."

The crowd of adversaries has fallen silent and is curiously listen to the group debating among itself, treating this like some king of arena fight.

Hazuki
2013-06-20, 01:56 PM
"Excellent point, Saebrae." With her companions' opinions offered, and her own, Runa turned to face the Priestess. "Your Grace, I would first request something of my own thoughts. Any maps of the routes we will be taking or nearby areas will be sufficient both for guiding and knowing whether certain grounds are already known as unsuitable for our expedition. A compass would allow us to use the maps to their full functionality. Secondly, there is the crisis of food, for which there are two options that wouldn't require carrying hefty backpacks; which could potentially halt our progress through narrow tunnels if they're unable to fit. One such solution is a wand that could create food and water for us, on demand, for a limited amount of time; but such an item would cost something in the area of five thousand, three hundred, and fifty gold pieces. Alternatively, each of us could be gifted with rings of sustenance, which would cost somewhere around six thousand, six hundred and fifty gold pieces in total, but would be unlimited in use and could be returned with our success. As well, some measure of healing would be welcomed, and a wand that should be mostly sufficient for our immediate needs should cost around three hundred and fifty gold pieces to manufacture. As well as some scrolls, for potentially foreign afflictions. If there are no further objections, our choice would be the tunnel that leads deeper into the darkness." With her attention devoted fully to the Priestess, she gave a small submissive bowing of her head. "I hope our long list of requests does not offend the sensibilities of your Grace or our Noble Patrons. Farewell."

With that, and not wishing to test the Priestess' patience any further, Runa gestured along the path that would lead to the deeper tunnel and began to follow it.

AaronGrimstone
2013-06-20, 10:14 PM
Vorian waited long enough to show that he wasn't at Runa's beck and call then began following. He made sure to remain far enough away from her to avoid the bodyguard's ire. That one seems likely to stab first and forget about asking questions. He would breathe easier knowing they were out of the games the courts play. Honestly he would much rather either fail on the expedition or succeed and fail to return to this pit of vipers.

Njall
2013-06-21, 03:10 AM
Pharnox bows to the Priestess and begins at once to follow his new leader, whistling softly a profane song, keeping his thoughts for himself.
"At last. Let's get rid of that city, I'll burn something if I stay much longer here. Something or someone."

Edited because those were thoughts, not spoken aloud

Man on Fire
2013-06-21, 09:40 AM
Micarnolu stayed close to her mistress, all the time observing the einvorment and also their companions. No, they were companions of Lady Runa, Micarnolu was here only as her blade. Still, she couldn't resist but feel some sort of connection to them. She had to pull her will to not shrug, when albino had been hit by a tomato - showing compassion to outcast could be good for lady Runa, but for her bodyguard would be a sing of weakness her mistress' enemies could use to remove obstacle Micarnolu was.
She remembered to keep an eye on the one wh ostarted talking about burning. Crazy ones were always the worst. In one minute they're chatting friendly with you, in another you have to cut their head off, to stop them from suffocating you and you'll never know why.
Heir to Draskel House on the other hand appeared to be reasonable, but she decided to approach him with caution in the future. Sings of common sense didn't mean he wasn't dangerous, quite the opposite.

Samshiir
2013-06-21, 03:34 PM
Saebrae wasn't sure exactly where to be when the expedition left. At first, she stayed near Runa, but when she caught eyes with Micanorlu, Saebrae quickly decided it was a bad idea.

She then decided to stay toward the back of the group so that she could keep an eye on everyone in front of her. She realized that several of the others were thinking along the same lines, and had refused to let her take the back of the expedition.

In the end, Saebrae simply kept her distance from everyone, not too close nor too far away so as to cause attention to herself. Blending in, thats what she learned to be best at. Though she was at a disadvantage with this expedition, because everyone here knew both Saebrae's name and...condition.

Yanisa
2013-06-22, 02:26 PM
Marching Order:

Vorian <--- Front
Saebrae
Micarnolu
Runa
Yas'in
Pharnox <--- Back

The tunnel is narrow and slopes steadily downwards, the ground, walls and roof are jagged and uneven. Every couple hundred feet there is a small mark in the wall left by the scouts to indicate they have explored this far. As the group descends it is getting hard to move at a steady pace. Often the floor is too sloped and other times the path is so narrow they can only squeeze trough it without wearing their backpacks.

After a couple of hours the expedition encounters a ravine intersecting their tunneling. It seems to be pretty deep and dark and stretches out both to the left and the right. The gap is about 30 feet width and the tunnel seems to continue after the ravine. A single rope is spanned across it, probably left by the scouts, although that would be careless of them.

The first three, Vorian, Saebrae and Micarnolu can see the ravine but the Drows after them have no idea why the group suddenly stopped.

Man on Fire
2013-06-23, 04:36 PM
Micarnolu approaches Runa. My Lady. She whispers. "May I request premission to socut the path ahead of us? With your premission, I would go first and guard the other end of the rope, until you shall not descend."

Hazuki
2013-06-23, 05:00 PM
With a bevy of people in front of her, Runa couldn't quite see what Micarnolu could have been referring to that would have changed, besides the sound of water that echoed through the slim tunnels. "One moment, please." She replied to the bodyguard, levitating upwards a few inches to see over the heads of her forward-facing companions before landing her feet on solid ground once again. Turning her mask towards Micarnolu, she nodded. "You may scout ahead, but be careful. The handiwork of that bridge is slipshod, and may be a trap by something that knows more of us than we'd suspect. As such, I suggest testing the waters and the rope itself before any of us cross its threshold. Needless injuries should, obviously, be avoided."

Samshiir
2013-06-23, 09:18 PM
Saebrae suspects that something is not right. She will examine the area for traps or anything else out of the ordinary, but will specifically not say anything (for now) if she does find something.

Perception: [roll0]

Also, Saebrae picks up a rock and tosses it down the ravine, listening for the rock to hit the bottom.

AaronGrimstone
2013-06-23, 09:38 PM
"If you do not mind, ma'am, I'll Levitate across the ravine, and make sure no one is there. I can be stealthy, if I have to be."

If Runa does not object Vorian will cast Levitate and cross the ravine by pulling himself along by the rope. He'll work to do this stealthily. Stealth: [roll0]
He'll also keep his eye open. [roll1]

"If someone has a spare rope, that would cover us if someone burns the rope or otherwise eliminates it. Without that I'd have to descend into a deep ravine that might be bottomless for all we know. Or full of troglodytes

Hazuki
2013-06-24, 03:08 AM
"I am very aware of our capability to levitate, Vorian, as I previously demonstrated. My fear is that somebody has prepared specifically for us, as well as said ability, and some form of obstruction is in the air itself. Or, something waiting just beneath the depths to snatch you from the air." In truth, she was slightly irate at the insinuation that she somehow didn't know that they could levitate, but chalked it up to a mistake in the man's head rather than any true insult. "My concern is for the expedition's safety, including yours, so please consider that before you go leaping over the ravine." With that mild chiding over with, she looked over to Saebrae. "I would prefer to know whether your search has revealed anything, before testing the area with a minor cantrip, Saebrae."

Perception: [roll0]

Knowledge (Dungeoneering): [roll1]

Runa has constant Detect Magic on, so please let me know if anything magical is present.

Njall
2013-06-24, 10:03 AM
Pharnox observes silently, using levitation to see over the heads of the others.

Perception : [roll0]

Man on Fire
2013-06-24, 12:12 PM
Yes, my lady. Micarnolu makes small bow and prepares to accomplish the mission. She considers passing her backpack to somebody, but decides not to.

Micarnolu pulls rope from her backpack and approaches Pharnox.
"tie it to yourself or to something." She says, tying the other end around her waist. "I hope your powers of levitation will help savig my life, would I have fallen." She isn't happy about having to trust somebody else, but sometimes duty requires such things.
Now shestarts testing the rope already spanned across the ravine, before she starts climbing it by hands, to get to the other side. She just hopes the man she trusted won't let her fall to her death.

Dunno if that's gonna be acrobatics or climb. Gotta go with Acrobatics [roll0]

Njall
2013-06-24, 04:16 PM
Pharnox ties the rope around his waist and then to a stalagmite.
"I'll do my best to help you."
He doesn't add anything but smiles, thinking of what his family would say.
"I guess they never thought learning to use ropes could be really useful."

Yanisa
2013-06-25, 12:54 PM
The expedition does not notice anything out of the ordinary, no traps, no mechanics to cut to rope and no enemies hiding in shadows. It still might feel like one of those is around.

Micarnolu inspect the rope and thinks it safe for travel. The first few moments go well, but then suddenly a gush of hot air blows from below and puts him off balance.

The rest of the party that can see Micarnolu crossing the ravine now see a cloud of steam slowly rising while Micarnolu is struggling to stay on the rope.

Micarnolu
Make an acrobatics check to stay on the rope, or else you fall.

Hazuki
2013-06-25, 01:26 PM
Runa would stand for no more of her bodyguard failing, including ignoring her words from just a few moments before, and trusted that Micarnolu would acknowledge that she had failed by taking this course of action. Losing her, however, was not an option. "Micarnolu, it is my magic attempting to save you from the waters." The masked Drow instructed, reaching out to her bodyguard and hoping that she wouldn't resist, like perhaps a madwoman. Still, a certain danger was present, and she would have to hope that her companions in the expedition would not take any sudden actions.

Casting Levitate on Micarnolu.

Man on Fire
2013-06-25, 01:56 PM
Micarnolu attempted to hold herself on the rope, but would let it go as her mistress casts spell on her. She feels ashamed, as she could do it herself, but decided to rather attempt harder way, just to be sure and it almost killed her, but proceeds to fly to the other end of ravine. Her actions were a failure and she's suprised her mistress didn't just let her die. She couldn't understand why Lady Runa would spare her.

If acrobatics check still needed [roll0]

AaronGrimstone
2013-06-25, 10:05 PM
A little melodromatic,, isn't this? If no one's on the other side then she wasn't in any real danger to begin with. Vorian almost said out loud, but he refrained from making a caustic reply, though only by just a hair. He was tempted just to cross, but he restrained himself to show respect to the fool noble he was supposed to be following until Micky either got attacked by people hiding in the shadows, or attacked by something in the ravine.

"That gust of wind seemed more than just coincidental. Does anybody see any magic at work? Or anything else that might have caused it? Or is it just a random natural occurance?"

Yanisa
2013-06-26, 12:14 PM
Micarnolu fails to catch the rope and would have fallen if not for levitate spell from Runa (and the rope around her middle). Now floating about the ravine she realize a light warm breeze is blowing upwards.

She does make it safely to other side... and... nothing happens. She does see in the distant, further into the tunnel, something hanging on the wall... It looks like a torch-holder.

AaronGrimstone
2013-06-27, 12:05 AM
Vorian immediately casts levitate on himself and follows, seeing as nothing happens to Micky.

Man on Fire
2013-06-27, 09:36 AM
Micarnolu inspects nearby surroundings.

Perception [roll0]

If she doesn't notice anything threatening around, she gives group on the other side a signal they can go through.
"Try levitating over the ropes, so you have something to catch, would you fall!" She yells, checking if her rope istightly tied around her waist. In case of anything she may attempt to catch falling group member, but she'll save any attempts at casting levitate on Runa.
"My lady, may I suggest you to go first?!" She asks, remembering to suggest finding some other way of communication in the future.

Njall
2013-06-27, 10:14 AM
Pharnox waits and lets the others go first, keeping an eye behind the group.

Yanisa
2013-07-02, 01:41 PM
The expedition safely makes it across the ravine, still having that vague feeling that something should have happened. On closer the torch-holder(/sconce) seems to be ancient and inscribed with little flames, but nothing truly noteworthy or magical. It's a bit odd the scouts report (or the priestess) didn't mention signs of civilized life, but seeing the age who ever made it most be gone for some time. The group slowly continues for another couple of hours, the markings on the wall still showing the scouts were here. The road still steadily decent, but the tunnels gets a bit larger and rounder, making moving easier but falling a bigger possibility. At the end of the "day" the party comes across an alcove and even no one likes admitting weaknesses but they are getting tired.

Man on Fire
2013-07-03, 07:22 AM
Once everybody are safe on the other end, Micarnolu approaches runa nad kneels before her.
"My apologies, my Mistress. My miscalculation forced your hand." She says.
She knows how it always goes in situations like this. Even the best of the best sometiems mess up and they pay te consequences. Won't be the first time she'll be ricining punishment. She just hopes it's not gonna be too painful.

Hazuki
2013-07-03, 07:38 AM
"Micarnolu," Runa stated firmly, as her bodyguard knelt before her and apologized for her personal failure. While it was true that the direct confrontation of her order had angered the Drow mistress, she saw no need to punish the girl physically for her actions, as the mental scars would be enough. Not only did she have, at least subconsciously, a further reliance on Runa because of potentially losing her life, but had the guilt of failing eating away at her insides. That would more than sufficient punishment, without requiring any villainy or outburst on the sorceress' part. "You may rise." She says, placing her finger beneath the woman's chin and pulling it up slowly, as a direction for Micarnolu to stand. It was a flowery method, but gave the impression that all she needed was one finger to control her companions. "You know that your death would be a consequence for your failure. That threat, I think, is sufficient, and requires no brutality on my part."

At the end of the party's journey for the day, Runa silently watches the alcove from behind her mask. They'd gotten little accomplished besides travel, and none of them had even used their resources, but it seemed as though all were going to need to trance soon enough. "I suggest we secure the area, then rest. Three shifts, each two hours. On the first shift, one, two, three, and four will sleep. Five and six will keep watch. On the second shift, three, four, five, and six will sleep. One and two will keep watch. On the third shift, one, two, five, and six will sleep. Three and four will keep watch. With this method, all of us get the necessary rest to be fully rested for the day to come, without sacrificing security."

Njall
2013-07-03, 11:26 AM
When he hears their leader, Pharnox makes a step forward.
"I'll take the first shift... unless you have another idea"

Samshiir
2013-07-03, 01:11 PM
Saebrae was relieves when Runa decided they would finally be resting. She made sure to pick a place in the campsite that was away from the male members of the expedition, and then began unpacking her things for the night. She made herself a personal little fire next to her bedroll to keep her warm during the night, as well as a natural reading light. She didn't bother volunteering for a guard shift. She knew she would be told wake up when it was her turn.

She was reading from Vallin's spellbook, trying to make sense of the arcane symbols and Vallin's personal notes scribbled on the sides. She also admired the cover art that he made for it. It was a symbol of his House's coat of arms, except that it was poked full of holes and was bleeding all over itself. Saebrae knew that this represented how much he hated his House for exiling him from Ciarwaith due to his dishonorable demonic bloodline.

Saebrae and Vallin had that in common. He was a demon, and she looked like a surface dweller. She missed him, and really wished she could have saved him...

She noticed a tear fall down her cheek. Quickly brushing it away, she looked around to make sure none of the others had seen her do that. It was time to put the book away and get some rest.

AaronGrimstone
2013-07-03, 11:35 PM
Vorian tried to ignore his 'leader''s directives for the most part, since they seemed to mostly be attempts to exercise her authority, but her exchange with her body guard disgusted him so thoroughly that he found himself unable to keep his mouth shut. Not because of any disturbing overtones but because it was terribly melodramatic. He cursed himself as he spoke.

"By Lolth are you two kidding? Or does it not matter to either of you two that Micky wasn't in even the slightest danger at all? She can practically FLY but your going on like she was almost about to plummet to her death! If anything you Runa should be berating her on her own foolish desire to cross the gorge in the most convoluted way possibly instead of just Levitating across like the rest of us did. I wasn't going to mention anything. I was simply going to let it go, but you had to go on about it again! Get over it, Micky here nearly slipped for like a second and only because she didn't want to use the gifts Lolth gave her. She did not fail. But what do I know, I'm just a man!" He stands still and tense, waiting for her to do something and preparing to run.

"I'll take second watch."

Hazuki
2013-07-04, 06:42 AM
Runa watched Vorian unerringly as he ranted about her actions, and each of his words was filled with the foolishness that could only come from somebody who was not prepared to face the dangers of the Underdark. The kind of person who didn't check every lock twice, for that was the society they lived in. And, perhaps worst of all, he seemed to possess the anger of his mother, which would only bring disaster to his house, if he failed to reign it in at some point.

Calmly, Runa replied. "I would be glad for you to take second watch." Acknowledging his tantrum was below her.

Man on Fire
2013-07-04, 07:31 AM
Micarnolu was shocked by Runa's displayal of kindness and forgivness. This wasn't something she had ever experienced from her master, or her family. She didn't knew how to react. I a way she reacted with a relief to Vorian's sudden outburst.

While to theis point she was passive and let Runa's hand raise her, now she slipped from her Mistress' grasp with ease and quickly stood between her and the man. With scimitar in her hand.

"You may speak to me however you want, you may think whatever you want. But you will refrain from adressing my lady in this disrespectful way." She said in steel, cold voice. "She has the right to do with me as she pleases and it is not your right to judge any of her choices. I will consider any futher behavior like this an attack on my Mistress and act accordinly. Consider this a first and final warning." After some tense moment, unless the man reacts somehow, she turns back and approaches Runa again.

"This situation is also my fault. I have no excuses for myself. In that situation, if my lady considers my presence a hindrance, I'll...." Voice died in her throat. She'll what? Get send away, the biggest disgrace for bodyguard of her House, except for failing to protect master's life? For somebody already so discgraced as herself, that would be death sentence. Oh why did she misunderstood her lady's orders? What has gotten to her mind?

AaronGrimstone
2013-07-04, 11:36 PM
Vorian throws his hands up in the air in frustration. Runa's smug self-satisfaction was what he deserved for sticking his nose in their business. The same thing always happened when he tried to interfere with his sisters fights, except they always tried to kill him a little when he did it.

Maybe he was more like his mother than he realized.

"Do whatever the Hells you want, Micky! Come get me when my shift comes up." He walks off, not bothering to acknowledge the bodyguards useless postering. Their was more to life than getting into fights all the time.

But this was the third time Runa had humiliated and that wouldn't stand. She would have to be taught to take him seriously...

He dug through his pack and found a book marked lineage of the gunpowder, one that he would be expected to carry considering his house. But inside it was nothing more than a manual on poisons.

Stealth to read up on the book without catching anyone's attention. [roll0]

Hazuki
2013-07-05, 06:43 AM
Runa allowed Micarnolu the freedom to act on her feelings in regards to how Vorian had treated her, simply because it was in her rights to do so. Restricting such things would have been petty, at best, especially when the status of their party so required co-operation, and anyone foolish enough to disturb it should be aware of such. By not acting on it herself, she was to become more respected, or, at least, not as immature, in the eyes of her companions. It was while she cast a cantrip to clean both herself and Micarnolu of a day of constant walking and toil that she spotted Vorian's little manual and sighed silently.

"Stay close to me." Runa instructed Micarnolu, as she cast a spell on herself to protect with the firm plates of force should the male's anger prove too volatile. Then, she approached the opposite wall of the tunnel that Vorian reads near and leans against it, her arms at her side and easily available. "Vorian, it strikes me that you have an issue with how I'm handling things. Could you consider a more appropriate way of handling these feelings, than a manual of poison and techniques by which to use it? I would be more than happy to discuss them with you."

Man on Fire
2013-07-05, 06:13 PM
Micarnolu obeys her lady's wishes and stays close to her right side, through one step ahead and a bit aside - this way she can get between her and the man in case of trouble, but isn't interrupting the conversation. She watches Vorian carefully, prepared to cast a spell on hm if he would try anything funny.

If Micarnolu spots Vorian attempting any form of attack, she casts Color Spray on him.

AaronGrimstone
2013-07-05, 06:17 PM
Vorian glances up at the woman without betraying any emotion.
"Do you know what my job is, ma'am? Or do you remember my earlier requests? I do not expect you to do so, so I'll fill you in. I am an assassin, trained in the use of poisons. Frankly it is arrogant to assume it has anything to do with you or how you lead. I am reading this because I was unable to finish my studies on creating poisons before I found myself in dire need to escape the city. I will be using this talent for the benefit of the group once I've had enough time to study."

"As for your leading style, my only problem I have with it is you tend to overcomplicate everything."

Hazuki
2013-07-06, 06:18 AM
"Complacency means death, Vorian. You should know this as well as I do; especially given your supposed profession, which is knowledge I will gladly keep. Every meal checked for poison, every lock checked twice for traps, and every ally is one you should be keeping an eye on. What you call overcomplication is simply caution, a necessity when dealings with demons, and something your mother is more than happy to ignore." Runa didn't particularly want to bring politics into the discussion, but she hoped it would serve as a fine example. "You believe your sisters were incompetent? With your mother standing over them, your mother who had them executed and named you her heir in a matter of moments? No; a hot poker against one's spine forces one to rush, to overlook things, which, ultimately, was the cause of their demise, and potentially the demise of any one of our kind."

"This time, there were no monsters lurking in the water. But what if there had been? You may have been congratulating me on my foresight, rather than damning my caution. And when I saw one who has an issue controlling his anger, moving away to open his book of poisons, making the assumption that I could be targeted is just another form of said caution. You should take it as a compliment that I came over here, worried about your skills being used against me; it means I believe you're a very capable male. And please do not think of that as a slur. We all have our strengths."

AaronGrimstone
2013-07-06, 10:37 AM
Vorian smiles widely. "My older sisters were long known as the bane of our family and a constant threat to our supremacy. My mother killed them rightfully, and her only 'rash' decision was in naming me her heir. House Draskel knows she made the right decision, but I wouldn't expect you to understand the inner workings of my house. Caution is a grand thing, but few disasters have ever been prevented by blind over-caution."

His smile widens. "Still, you are right in this, I fear, and I apologize."

Bluff to make the apology sound sincere. [roll0]

His smile widens further. "But please do not talk about my mother ever again." He let the implicit threat i those last words ring silently.

Hazuki
2013-07-06, 10:51 AM
"A male leading a House is antithetical to the teachings of Lolth; I expect your mother knows this, even if you don't. Your reign would last no longer than a decade, at best." Runa replied with no scorn in her voice, simply speaking matter-of-factly, as she departed her spine from the wall and looked back to where the majority of the group was. "And the only thing that will keep me from speaking of your mother is the woman herself; the fact that you feel the need to cover up her failures betrays your confidence in her skills without you even needing to say it. You really must hide your mind better, Vorian. Somebody could take advantage of it. Farewell." With that, Runa gestured to Micarnolu and returned to her spot with the majority of the group.

Man on Fire
2013-07-06, 02:28 PM
Micarnolu returns with lady Runa, but keeps an eye on Vorian. She does not comment on the exchange, but, once they're far enough from him, whispers few words to her lady.
"He may become dangerous in the very near future, my lady. Do you wish for me to keep an eye on him, or... dispose him?"

Yanisa
2013-07-07, 03:02 AM
The first watch nothing really happens. The tunnels seem empty and quiet.

It's during the second watch Saebrae could swear she heard something, but as she and Vorian are peering in the tunnels they only see and hear nothingness. Then suddenly Yas'in's trace gets broken by someone, or something poking him. Followed by a lot of footsteps quickly running away. When he opens his eyes he sees a couple of tails disappearing in a hole, one that wasn't there before in the alcove.

The hole is about 4 feet high and 4 feet width, it's also dark and seems to be rather unnatural. The walls, floor and ceiling are almost smooth. Behind it is a tunnel that after 20 feet makes a turn to the left.

Samshiir
2013-07-07, 03:56 AM
Saebrae wondered how she got stuck with pulling guard with Vorian.

After thinking about it, she realized that Runa and Mica didn't take the shift because of their qualms with him, and didn't want to take a shift with the albino freak because...who would?

It didn't matter though, Saebrae read more from her book during her shift.

Then she heard a noise down the hallway. "What was that?" She asked. She put her book down and got up to examine, but didn't find anything.

She decided that she was letting the team's paranoia affect her much already. She couldn't let that happen, she needed to focus.

She sat back down, picked up her book, and continued reading.

AaronGrimstone
2013-07-08, 11:18 AM
Vorian was bored and angry. The day had not gone well, as the spoiled little self-assured brat had repeatedly bashed and belittled him every chance she got. The fact that she was terribly wrong most of the time did not seem to shaken her confidence at all, which was disheartening. If she couldn't see herself as an idiot then he couldn't make her.

She thought what everyone did of his mother, though. They were always distracted by her anger, and arrogance. They figured that because she made some decisions without thinking through that she made each one the same way. But she hadn't lead the house so long by doing so, and Vorian was convinced that she kept up her reputation just to keep her enemies guessing.

While sitting with the albino his boredom almost got the better of him, but her skittishness in general kept him silent. He read also.

Yanisa
2013-07-12, 10:23 AM
Yas'in makes an annoyed grunt and wakes everyone. "We have a problem! Someone tried to attack me." He points at the newly appeared hole.
From the hole the expedition hears something that sounds like high pitched giggling.

Hazuki
2013-07-12, 10:35 AM
Runa was slightly irate at being awakened from her trance, but did not bear the man any grudge; it was for the purposes of the group, and she had managed to get sufficient trancing into her cycle regardless. She rose gracefully to her feet and looked over at the male, listening carefully to his words and the giggling that followed, before glancing over at the hole that he'd directed them to. Creating a violent situation was not something she wanted, but it was a possibility regardless, and would need to make sure her allies didn't immediately strike, in case this new creature was a potential ally.

Stepping slightly closer to the hole, the Sorceress began to speak in a clear tone, suspecting the nature of this creature by reputation only. Svirfneblin were unlikely to spend their time angering Drow, and Duergar were never ones to giggle. Speaking in Sylvan, the language of the Fey, here tones were elegant and alien, though remnants of it in Undercommon could be recognized. "Who is it that lurks in these tunnels, besides these Drow?"

AaronGrimstone
2013-07-12, 10:39 AM
Vorian gathers with the rest of the party, drawing his bow in case whatever dug the hole decided to attack. He did not yet knock an arrow to the bow, as that might have looked like he was planning to shoot someone.

Man on Fire
2013-07-12, 10:53 AM
Micarnolu let her rapier leave the sheet a bit, to quicker put it all out, would her lady be endangered. She awaits Runa's orders.

Samshiir
2013-07-12, 11:04 AM
Saebrae took her crossbow and loaded it with a bolt. She decided to try to stay hidden so that she could more easily watch the upcoming events without getting in the way too much.

Stealth roll: [roll0]

Yanisa
2013-07-12, 12:06 PM
A grumbling voice echoes trough the tunnel, but it's not a direct response, because it speaks back in Draconic. "I'm the great Graramargarth! Eater of faces!"

Hazuki
2013-07-12, 12:15 PM
"Curious. Does anyone present speak Draconic?" Runa asked the rest of the group, her mask remaining impassive as she continued gazing at the hole. Coming across such creatures was hardly something she expected, much less on any peaceful grounds, given that their two respective species were both filled with pride, and she hadn't yet had the time to master the language regardless. Though the fact that this creature spoke solely in Draconic revealed something; it was likely incapable of using any form of Common Tongue, which marked it as something of likely low power.

Samshiir
2013-07-12, 12:47 PM
Saebrae hesitently stepped forward to stand next to Runa.

What are you doing Saebrae? This could be very dangerous.... But I need to prove my worth to the expidition.

Saebrae's best childhood friend, Vallin, was a half-dragon.

"My lady, I am capable of speaking the dragon's tongue. What would you have me say to this creature?"

Hazuki
2013-07-12, 12:52 PM
"Thank you, Saebrae." Runa spoke to the albino, pleasantly surprised at her willingness to aid the group in this time of need. At the very least, she suspected that her show of kindness seemed to have earned her some measure of respect from the alienated scout. "Please speak exactly what I do, but account for translation conventions." She pondered for one brief moment. "Our purpose in these tunnels is mapping the paths of the Underdark, in order to find suitable land. We would know your purpose, here, Graramargarth."

Samshiir
2013-07-12, 01:01 PM
"Our purpose here is to explore these dark tunnels for a new home for our people. My Mistress wishes to know what your purpose is here, great Graramargarth." She spoke in the draconic tongue confidently, and was very careful not to insult Graramargarth. She knew that drow were bad when insulted, but dragons were worse.

Diplomacy (oh god): [roll0]

Man on Fire
2013-07-12, 02:36 PM
Micarnolu took a position to shield her lady from any possible attack. But she was wondering a bit and decided to voice her problem
"If the creature speaks Draconic, my lady, I think it might be a low threat, my Lady. Why would a dragon...or any sort of really dangerous creature...hide like this and don't just kill us all when it had a chance?" She whispers to Runa. "It appears to me to be rather an attempt to scare or lure us into a trap."

Njall
2013-07-12, 03:30 PM
In the middle of the night... I hope we'll be able to kill that thing..
Pharnox shows nothing of his thoughts and joins with the others, observing and pondering, wondering what to do if the creature attacks.

Yanisa
2013-07-12, 04:04 PM
Still in draconic: "My purpose?" It responses, sounding sort off confused by question. Then it repeats itself again. "I are Grararamorgarth, the great eater of faces." Then after a second it also adds. "Me is dragon! Roar!"

Hazuki
2013-07-12, 04:33 PM
Runa gave Micarnolu a nod to acknowledge her words, despite having considered this possibility beforehand, and gestured for Saebrae to continue translating her words. "Perhaps you would like to grace us with your presence, great face-eater. We are humble, as far as Drow go, and would relish the chance to see the form of one so magnificent as yourself, Grararamorgarth."

Yanisa
2013-07-12, 05:21 PM
Another silence before a response is formed. "Graramagath cant!" It takes a moment before it explain itself. "We are stuck! Tiny tunnel, huge dragon!" And after another pause he adds. "Also I eat your face!" it echoes trough the tiny hole, but that last part sounded somewhat unsure.

Hazuki
2013-07-12, 05:56 PM
"I may be able to aid you." Runa speaks uncertainly, but is relatively certain that her magical acid will be able to eat away at rock well enough. "But, in order for me to free you from that tunnel, you must first swear to become an ally of House Baen'Azoth." It's a relatively small chance, but one she believes could turn out well for the party. She could send the face-eater back to the city with a mark of House Baen'Azoth, to be brought to them swiftly. Depending on its actual stature, it could accompany the party.

Samshiir
2013-07-12, 09:19 PM
"My Lady, given the way it is speaking, I very much doubt it is a very large dragon. A larger dragon would be capable of speaking with more intelligent sentences."

AaronGrimstone
2013-07-12, 10:47 PM
"I agree with Saebrae, as I can speak Draconic also. Except I was under the impression that dragons of even a very young age have more refined speech than this thing. Most likely it's simply pretending to be a dragon, to trick us. Let me check my Underdark beastiary to see if I can find anything that would do such a thing."

Just to be safe Vorian decides to search his knowledge of dragons. He pulls out a book marked in Undercommon 'Ecology of the Underdark'

I hope you don't mind Yanisa but I'm going to fluff some of his skills as books. Not really for any reason than I think it might be fun.
Dungeoneering to see if I can identify a creature that might pretend to be something scarier than it is, and to double-check his thoughts on actual dragons. [roll0]

Yanisa
2013-07-13, 02:07 AM
"Errr..." starts whatever you are dealing with. "Me cant promise" It starts to say. "Because I am" he continues slowly "I are Graramaogorth, betrayer of promises! Roar!"

Vorian
OOC: I don't mind (it's neat idea), but just remember, parts of "Ecology" aren't in Knowledge: Dungeoneering, like the parts covered by knowledge nature.
As for the roll:

As you flip trough the book you see a lot of creature that like to hide, or try to pretend to be different things. One page even talks about a creature that looks like a chest, but most of these creature don't talk, because talking is the easiest way to ruin a disguise.

As for dragons, there is a saying among the more lettered Drow. "Even a hatching dragon can write more grammatically proper then you!".

Hazuki
2013-07-13, 03:54 AM
"By Lolth, why is it that none of you understand discretion?" Runa asked her companions with a very small amount of frustration in her voice. "Yes, I am aware that this creature is likely not a dragon, and far less powerful than it implies. But I simply don't blurt out all I know or suspect to everyone that surrounds me." She ran a hand down the face of her mask and let out a soft sigh. "But I must admit that your powers of stating the obvious are more potent than mine. Thank you for that."

Njall
2013-07-13, 07:54 AM
Pharnox places himself so that Runa can view him and casually moves his fingers, using drow sign language.
"Excuse me my lady but shouldn't we just kill the thing and go on ?"

Samshiir
2013-07-13, 08:06 AM
"Some poor creature that you don't understand, and you want to simply slay it? No wonder other races think of us drow as monsters." Saebrae replies in drow sign language.

Hazuki
2013-07-13, 08:16 AM
Runa responded in the silent Drow language, making a gesture to note that she concurred with Saebrae. "One may think that killing things makes one appear powerful or more important, but it's meaningless, destructive and thus the act of an imbecile. We will not slay him, because to do so would be wasting a potential ally, who, I might add, likely knows these lands far better than we do. Unless you'd like to reveal a thus far unknown knowledge of the tunnels, Pharnox, I suggest you keep your bloodlust in your House."

Man on Fire
2013-07-13, 08:22 AM
Micarnolu joins the conversation in sign language. "And even if that creature isn't anything powerfull, we still don't know what it is or how many of them are there. At worst we would be using a canon to deal with an ant colony, at worst we might ander right into a trap. We should avoid unnecessary risk and loss of resources." She then turns to Saebrae "Could you ask it why it keeps reffering to itself as "we"?"

Samshiir
2013-07-13, 01:28 PM
Saebrae asks the creature in Draconic: "Who are the 'we' that you keep referring to?"

Yanisa
2013-07-13, 03:35 PM
Again you seemed to ask a question that needs some thinking before it gets answered. "We? You are the we! I am not a we, I am a me. Me! Graramargarth! Eater of faces! I! Graramargarth! Betrayer of promise! Shoo!" It clearly tries to scare the expedition, but somehow the group isn't impressed.

AaronGrimstone
2013-07-13, 03:56 PM
"I don't think it knows Undercommon." Vorian says in drow sign language. "Still let's figure out what it actually wants."

Vorian puts his book away, since he didn't find anything particularly useful.

In Draconic he says "Do you want anything with us Graramargarth! Betrayer of promise?!" He uses the creatures title as he figured it wouldn't hurt anything.

In Sign language he says "I'm not promising anything, just probing for info."

Yanisa
2013-07-16, 06:01 AM
"Shinies!" the response is quickly. "Gems!" "Jewels!" It sums up a couple of more high value items and it is so enthusiastic its deep voices rises to a higher pitch. "Rings!" "Gold!" "Sparkles!" It clearly seems to be very happy with the idea of owning shiny and pricy things.

AaronGrimstone
2013-07-17, 01:37 AM
In DSL Vorian says "It wants shinies." He somehow conveys his sense of world-weariness and faint depression through his gestures. "We might be able to get info from it if we give it gold or gems of some kind. If you think it will be worth it, Runa." He continues, through signs.

Hazuki
2013-07-17, 09:47 AM
Runa ponders the request of the creature for a few moments, wondering whether it was capable of casting magic, but the way it brute forced its words out made it seem like such a thing isn't possible. To test both this, and serve as potential payment, she tears a blank page out of one of her books and carefully folds it into a simple figure of folded paper. She holds it in her palm before casting a single cantrip, changing the origami figure to appear golden and shimmering.

Using the cantrip, she lets the golden figure float in the air, for somebody to hand to the trapped figure.

AaronGrimstone
2013-07-19, 03:39 PM
Vorian takes the coin and passes it through the hole. He holds the coin out until something grabs it, and if nothing does moves a little bit more into the hole and toss it onto the ground of the tunnel.

Yanisa
2013-07-20, 02:29 AM
"Hey! We are stuck here, remember. No taking the shiny." It says, but it doesn't seemed to speak to the expedition.
Suddenly a scaly hand grabs the golden origami and shouts happily.
"Me has shiny! Me win!"
"You idiot! We are supposed to be stuck!"
"You are both idiots! You are breaking character!"
Either the creatures is talking to itself with its high squeaky voice, or more likely there are a couple of them arguing with each other.
"So what! Me won! Me get all the power!"
"Why I are working with you again?"
"Shut up and get in character!"

A sudden silence...

"Errr... Ignore that... Me is Graragramorgarth! The Insane!"
Then the groups hears a loud *smack!*

Man on Fire
2013-07-20, 08:47 AM
"Kobolds." Micarnolu says in sing language. "No one else could be this stupid. What are your oders, my lady?"

Yanisa
2013-07-25, 03:50 AM
"Also, me is stuck. Me couldn't pick up shiny!"

If they were Kobolds, were were pretty courageous. Normal kobolds are deadly afraid of the Drow (for good reasons) and rarely come close to the city, let alone trying to lie against a Drow.

AaronGrimstone
2013-07-28, 09:56 PM
In Drow Sign Language Vorian signs to everyone. "humoring this stupid little bastards is getting us nowhere slowly. I'm going to talk straight to them if no one objects." He pauses in case the others tell him not to.

If they don't he continues on with his plan. He leans down into the hole, then talks to the creatures in Draconic.

"Okay, none of us believe you for a second. So let's be honest here. Your not a dragon. Your not Garglemouth the insane or whatever. But if you help us by telling us what you know about the cave, or even guiding us through part of us we might reward you with more shinies. Vorian subtly reaches into his Noble blood and imbues his words with a supernatural ability to convince.

Going to burn his daily use of Suggestion, DC 16 Will Negates I believe.

Yanisa
2013-07-30, 04:04 AM
"Owh! You clever."
"But we don't know much of tunnels."
"Our great priest of the scaly god send us here. Earthquake made new tunnels, new tunnels means more shinies. More shinies means happy priest. Happy priest, means happy scaly god! So we accept more shinies"
"Well there is a stairs a couple of many days deeper in the large tunnel you are walking in. And at the bottom is burning water!"
"Lava!"
"Burning lava... And this tunnel has a hidden door into the cave you were sleeping! We cleverly used it to...."
"Sssst!" One of them susses and they fall silent again.