PDA

View Full Version : Adventure in the City of Coin (Mission 1b)

Philemonite
2013-07-03, 10:08 AM
Like a shadow in the night

Night life in the Government District of Athkatla is almost non-existent. The few guards that patrol the district were easy to sneak past or even walk by, since you didn't seem suspicions. You are amazed by the estates in the district, but you soon realize that they are all built on the back of the unfortunate peasants. You calmly approach the location that Walden marked as Roenall Estate.

SiuiS
2013-07-08, 01:47 AM
"Time to see what we are up against, I suppose."

From her vantage across the street, Betrys begins with the time-honored tradition of larking; that is, she cases the joint. Or near as a dryad can be comfortable doing - her eyes are drawn more to the dark, wet places, holes where wall joins earth, where dirt and life and soil push up between flagstones, roots tunnel inexorably and crack the works of man with their ever-patient dilligence. But this is not in vain, completely. No, any tree is, to the desparate, a ladder, a baffle, and a perch in one. Fresh soil can hold tracks, but also cover them. Dirt in the eyes, rocks to the head, even a stray flower on the breath to convince a guard there is merely an open window— or to send him running, in allergic fear, from a bee.

"How do you suggest we start? Straight in, and to the back? Disguised? Or...?"

Perception, I suppose, but also a general lay-out of what we can see of the building, s'il vous plait?

Philemonite
2013-07-23, 09:33 AM
At first glance the estate looks like an impregnable fortress. However, as you take a closer look you start to notice little cracks in it's defenses. You can see an opened window on the second floor. The room is unlit and vines that grow along the wall could offer enough support for someone light enough. There seems to be only one guard at the back entrance, and he should be easy to subdue. With enough trickery and diplomacy even the front door could be an option. Some plan will probably be needed before you continue.

Jawdan
2013-07-28, 05:57 AM
Iron slithered up silently next to Betrys, "Steady lass." He whispered, so not to startle her.

"'At slimeh weasle, Walden, sen' t'us." His blue eyes went over the walls of the estate in front of them. "T'is it, then. Ack, bub's play."

A calloused hand removed a strand of green hair from his face. "Other two jus' ahind meh. Shan't be long."

"'Is quarters must be upwards, but meh climbin' not the best. Mus' a'mit."

"If one of ya climb first, through yonda windaw and put a rope down. Ack, aye should be 'right to follaw."

He fingered his crossbow and eyed off the guard of the backdoor. It had been some time since he had drawn blood in a serious fight, and though he wasn't oft the bloodthirsty type, he craved some action. His two hand crossbows were secured tightly to his belt, so as not to clink as he crept. And the rest of his armament on his back was prepared in the same way. He could still get to them quick, but their noise was dampened.

The same blue eyes turned to his companion, Betrys, for the first time, "Ack, ye dunnot look the type te be scallying up yonder wall." He paused, "Nor the type to be sneakin'."

"Methinks we need a plan that calls for a diversion." Captain Captain Iron points to the big lumbering Betrys, "How 'bouts ye go start a fire over yonder. Find yeself a barn or shed. Set it alight. That's 'ill get all ye guards outta the house and us sneaky type can finds what weh needs."

He paused, the imaginary fire lighting his eyes. "And if ye get ye chance, try an' stay outta sight. Try 'en to come 'ack here, and if he hasn't left, get rid of 'im so we 'an come out." He motions to the single guard at the backdoor.

Iron looks to where Camille and Shorty should be, "'Ich one of ye can scally up ye wall?"

Felhammer
2013-07-28, 03:09 PM
SHORTY

Shorty watched his companions almost as closely as he watched his own back. This was a city of liars, cutthroats, thieves, brigands, slavers and much, much worse. "I must be as silent as the night and as fast as lightning. Oh god what's that!" He flips around and sees that it is only a small fly. Shorty breathes a sigh of relief, "At least it wasn't a bounty Hunter or slaver... This time."

"I'm only doing this to get paid. Let's not take unnecessary risks, eh? I don't want to get caught and s... That is to say, I don't want to seized and forced to clean dishes, like the last time I got caught.... Yes, clean dishes...."

"Mental note, I must remember I have told these people I was captured and forced to clean dishes after trying to skip out on a tab. That's an easy lie to maintain. Nice and simple. Simple... Yes, simple. Don't let it get complicated..."

"Fire! Yes... Fire. Fire is an acceptable way to create a distraction. Someone go light one! Let us not be seen by the enemy. Let them see only what we want them to see, in this case our fire... Then we can sneak in and do what we must do... Yes... Yes... No muss, no fuss, no coconut! Fire!"

Shorty

HP: 12 / 12
Healing Surges: 5 / 5
Healing Surge Value: 3
Augment Points: 2 / 2

Dishearten
Memory Hole
Ghost Sound
Send Thoughts
Distract
Fade Way
Telekenetic Anchor

Jawdan
2013-07-28, 10:25 PM
"Aye, aye. All wants to live for the coin."

Captain Captain Iron let his gaze linger on the gnome, "Aye, not many that like to clean dishes." His eyebrow raised in slight confusion. Have I met this gnome once before?

"Seemin' as Short-teh', here, ain't 'xactly volunteered, ya want to climb the wall?" His question was obviously directed at Camille. Then to Betrys, "And ye 'right to light the barn? No muss, nah fuss, no coconut, as it were?"

SiuiS
2013-07-29, 03:39 AM
Betrys freezes at the touch and the words. It is not a rigid tension, so much as a composed awareness, a shifting of breath. But it is a freeze nonetheless. When the gruff sounding man finishes introducing himself, she pats him lightly on the arm in familiarity, once, before her fingers trail away. She laughs a laugh like tinkling bells.

It is good to meet you. And never fear, we can make the climb, and silent to boot. I'm just making sure everything is in place... Do we know exactly what we are here for?

Shorty's arrival, twitching and looking about, makes her curious. She draws in one slow breath and releases, a cherrywood scent coming unbidden, and a sense of relaxation, assuredness and patience flow from her into the minds of those around.

I don't know about fire, she responds, biting her lip, I would like to keep property damage low if we can, we don't need to hurt anyone or their things. Besides, a fire will bring more light and more scrutiny. I was taught to think more sideways when I can.

The dryad wraps her arms around her un-mailed stomach, growing slightly. If one of us could make it to the kitchens, throw out some smocks, we could surely walk in as if we belonged. Or if we could copy the guard's uniform... But it may be better simply to go into the widow and find the documents.

Jawdan
2013-07-29, 04:07 AM
"T'is a pleasure, to be sure." It was hard to look away from the dryad.

"A bright light makes it harder for those who look at it, to see in the dark. A fire, ain't be necessi-teh - merely a spot more fun. Aye?"

He chuckled a warm, hearty, yet quiet laugh at her suggestion of disguise. "Aye, that may work, yet this hair ain't easy to lose from ye mind." He pulled at a string of great hair, "Ye ain't exactly got the looks to pass as a scullery maid." He chuckled again, "An' Short-teh has told us what he reckons of dishes."

"Nay, if I were a bettin' man, an' that may be the case, I'll put coin on the windoh."

"The slim-eh one on-leh mention' some-ten 'bout detailed records. Imma assumin' t'ey be written." He chuckled at the thought of them stealing a bard with the details memorised.

Felhammer
2013-07-29, 03:26 PM
No. No. No. No. Noooooo...!!! Lies! Blasphemy! GAH!

Shorty slams his palm into his forehead, leaving a bright red mark.

"I... Uhhh... That is to say... Uhhh..."

I will get you evil pirate man whom thinks I do not recognize him! Oh I shall pay you back 10 fold for calling out my lies! You shall RUE THE DAY YOU CROSSED SHORTY... Again...!!!

Shorty hangs his head low. His lies have once again gotten him into a big mess.

"W-where's the kitchen... So I can perform the duties that which I have stated I have done before... So... I just need find three cook uniforms? Should I cook you a meal too? Perhaps some lemon chicken drizzeled with Shadow Dale White Sauce?"

SiuiS
2013-07-29, 03:30 PM
Everything plot-related grinds to a halt in a single crystal moment. Betrys turns and looks at the gnome with wide eyes and uncertainty. C... Can you? Cook that, I mean?

Felhammer
2013-07-29, 04:44 PM
Shorty smacks his forehead once more.

"O-Of course I can... W-When I was... D-detained by those nasty... C-cooks for skipping my bill, they eventually wound up taking a shine to me. They taught me h-how to cook... Lemon Chicken drizzled with... Shadow...? Dale...? Sauce...? Yes that was it! Lemon Chicken with Shadow Dale Sauce! I can cook that. Why couldn't I cook that? If I had a hearth in front of me, why I would make it for you right now... But... I can't because... We're... On a mission! Yes! I cannot cook it for you now because we are on a mission and that would be most inappropriate."

Shorty awkwardly laughs as a means to push the conversation beyond the chicken.

"Ok... Let' see... So I ran out on a bill... The Chefs liked me and taught me how to cook... Oh god, what was it...? Lime Chicken with Shadow Dale Sauce...? There was a color in there too... Let's see... Sauces are usually brown, white or red... Gotta pick one... Red! Yes, I remember, it was Red! That sounds right... Ok... I must remember all of this... I will not trip over myself with my lies... No sirey, not this Gnome. My mind is a vault that clearly separates fact from fiction and the intricate ways in which the two are interwoven..."

"I'll make you that Lime Chicken some other time but right now we need to focus on the mission... Wait... What was the plan again?"

SiuiS
2013-07-29, 05:16 PM
The dryad gazes at the wee gnome with amusement and wide-eyed wonder. We could, though! Such a dish as that, certainly a man like this would call away for such a skilled chef! We can get you into the kitchen and from there, you make your meal. The best way to sneak in is to be allowed in, right? Who else but a famous travelling chef to be allowed in a lord's manor?

Excitement and a bit of hedonistic hunger roll off Betrys in almost tangible psychic waves while she gazes, starry-eyed, at the small chef.

Jawdan
2013-07-29, 08:20 PM
Captain Captain Iron looked between Betrys and Shorty - something wasn't quite right here, he thought. But he was not sure; while the gnome looked familiar, he wasn't burnt into his memory and could not recall of they had met before. Probably just one of those things. He decided.

"'Ere's a thought. Pret-teh la-deh, ye go convince yonder guard te fol-lah back te these here bushes. Then we whack him, 'n' I take this 'ere uniform and ye's can follow me in as guests if we get seen. Then we ain't stuck in 'em galley?"

"What say ye?"

Jawdan
2013-07-29, 08:32 PM
[roll0]
Just a quick insight roll to see if I pick up shorty's lies. Just to add to the fun of our character's history! :)

2nd post cause I struggled with the roller code on my phone.

Felhammer
2013-07-29, 08:32 PM
Shorty

The Gnome smiles, "Yes, I like that idea. Lure them here with your feminine wiles, then let the big man pound them into the ground! Yes... Yes... Capital idea. So we have Plan Pepper (the fire), Plan Potato (climb up into the window) and Plan Butterscotch (feminine wiles)." With a wide grin the Psion whispers, "My vote is for plan Butterscotch."

Shorty's eyes dart around, eying his surroundings. Secretly, he hopes no one mentions the lack of the plan involving the kitchen...

Felhammer
2013-07-29, 08:34 PM
Shorty's Bluff: [roll0]

SiuiS
2013-07-31, 12:32 AM
A laugh. Okay, fine. I was being greedy anyway, I just thought that sounded really good!

I'm not going to seduce the fellow, though. And I don't lie very well Ohgoodnessdoubleentendre so I would rather e more direct. Now... Betrys looks again, sizing up the area. We can get close if we need to, by coming in from the side. The wall will keep us from being seen, and getting over it should be simple. Once over though, getting down will be loud and then we need to deal with the guard. So if someone were to... Yes, I think we can distract him and that will clear the way for us to get through. Then one can climb the vines and we will meet upstairs. Does that sound good to everyone?

Without waiting for a response, the dryad turns back to crouching and peering at the house. Are you ready, my sweet? I'll need your help with that mean old wall, I'm afraid~!

With the velvet sound of silk on silk, a stretch of shadow detaches from the wall by Captain Iron and yawns, exposing aymmetrical fangs amidst a carnivore's tools with a low, lazy growl. The panther, larger than a man (and truly, larger than any mortal panther, though in which way it is hard to place) pads nigh silently to the dryad, where it awaits the entre touch and shuffle of nails through its fur. Olay, we're ready, and we'll take the wall. Who wants to come with me and who wants to go through the window?

Felhammer
2013-07-31, 01:35 AM
SHORTY

Shorty wigs out when he sees a massive panther - the size of ten Gnomes - magically materialize out of the wall on which he was leaning. It is as if his nightmares have been given shadowy ephemeral form. He tilts his head this way and that way as he eyes go haywire. As if in a trance, the Psion whips out his Orb and brandishes the holy symbol of Corellon. As he does, he whispers, "Do not attack me beast for I am armed with weapons unknowable even to creatures of the night!" With each word uttered, Shorty backs away one step. "I am Shorty the proud, Shorty the wise, Shorty the mighty! I do not fear nightmares! I AM a nightmare! You shall taste the bitter spittle of defeat if you dare tread one paw closer to m... Me...?" As if waking up from a dream, the Gnome realizes the beast is not evil but rather fully under the command of Betrys... "By the gods woman! You about scared me half to death! That is to say... I wasn't scared... Just intimidated... No... Why do you even have such a massive behemoth? How did you tame such a creature? Truly your adventures have taken you to dark, mystical places..."

Jawdan
2013-07-31, 01:46 AM
The beast was a surprise, but after an initial start, Captain Captain Iron played it cool. "Aye, I always knew 'twas yonder." He stated sheepishly.

"Ack, quiet ye flapper, Short-teh." The pirate grumbled with a tone of mirth, "Lad, go distract yonder guard, then we'll pull ye up from the win-dah."

He shooed with his hands, "Go on, Short-teh, make us proud, 'eh?"

The once pirate captain, stared at the gnome, quietly wondering why he lied about being able to cook.

SiuiS
2013-07-31, 02:26 AM
Well, it was a normal place for me. I find this— Betrys gestures to, well, the city, far stranger. But such experiences are what make life fun~! Let's get these papers we need. If nothing else, they can prove whether walden was telling the truth.

The dryad moves forward to the wall, slow as one out for a stroll. Once she reaches the lee, however, she quickly rubs the panther behind its ears before straddling the great cat, holding on as it first leaps, and then scrabbled up the top of the wall. Her dismount is smooth as fluid, and she holds an arm downward to assist Captain Iron in the climb.

Using fey panther's climb speed :3
It can just carry me like I was loot, after all~

Jawdan
2013-07-31, 03:01 AM
"Ack, so ye say. Not quite 'onest that one." Iron spat at the mention of Walden, not quite convinced of his intentions.

"Right, up I go then." Crouching down, the pirate captain readied himself briefly, and then took a leap onto the small ledge of a fence.

"Go 'round 'n' holler or somethin', Short-teh."

[roll0]

Acrobatics check to flip onto the wall! :D

Felhammer
2013-07-31, 03:45 AM
SHORTY

The Gnome recoils from being directed to do something by this... Slaver! But he must hide his own inner rage for he is no longer Ethelbert Fogg, he is now Shorty... Best to keep up the illusion just in case my past comes to haunt me...

Shorty gingerly sneaks along the outer wall to a point near the back entrance. He takes in his surroundings and finds a cozy place to hide by some crates and bins of rubbish. Taking in a deep breath, Shorty considers how best to distract the guard. A devious smile crosses his face as he thinks of a solution.

Calling upon his gnomish heritage he casts a simple spell his father called "Spirit Noise."

A high pitched wail echos across the back alleyways. A woman's voice, panting and scared screams, "HELP ME! HELP ME! THERE'S A MAN TRYING TO KILL ME! I WILL DO ANYTHING FOR SOME BRAVE MAN TO RESCUE ME! HELPPPPPP!"

Shorty then ducks down behind cover so as to not be seen.

[roll0]

SiuiS
2013-07-31, 04:21 AM
Captain Iron has a fine, black and shadowed view of a feline's rump. The panther lounges on the wall between he and Betrys, polite enough not to swat the pirate with a tail.

But slowly, visible even through the shadows, the dryad's head lifts from the wall and can be seen, comically, over the cat, wide eyed. Silently she mouths, this is stealth?

Jawdan
2013-07-31, 08:38 AM
"Ehhh," The pirate began to reply, as the gnome attempted to distract the guard, "'Tis the breakin' of 'eh egg 'afore we sep'a'rate 'eh yolk. Aye?" He whispers.

"Now weh gotta get to 'eh wall o'er yonder, so weh can snuck in all quiet like. Savvy?"

Philemonite
2013-08-06, 10:34 AM
Shorty's magic works wonders on the guards as they both rush into the back alley. Passing the back entrance, they pause looking for the cause of disturbance. Seeing nothing they split up searching the neighborhood.

OOC The path is opened, but once they find nothing they will be back. I suggest you hurry.:smallwink:

Felhammer
2013-08-06, 10:39 AM
SHORTY

After seeing the guards rush out of sight into the backalleys, the Gnome ducks inside the walls and finds his companions as quickly as possible, while still remaining as quite as a church mouse.

SiuiS
2013-08-06, 10:47 AM
That's our cue, Betrys whispers. Let's go. I'll take the vines up the window, you two go in through the door, okay? Come on, sweetness~! Dropping swiftly, and with as little sound as a woman in chainmail can, she moves to the back area with the vines and once again takes the climb with her shadow-incarnate panther.

Philemonite
2013-08-08, 04:50 AM
Betrys

You have no problem as you swiftly climb the vines and enter the room through the window. When you look around you realize that you are in some kind of office. The shelves are full of parchments and they all seam to be labeled by year and month. You wonder if the documents you are looking for are here. It would be foolish to leave them in the open, but perhaps the man was simply to confidant in his security.

Shorty and Captain

As you enter through the back door you find yourself in a big corridor. Modest decorations on the walls lead you to believe that this part of the estate is not often used by the nobles. You only get a chance to take a few steps before a voice interrupts you. As you look into the room where the voice is coming from you realize that it belongs to a serving girl and that she is asking you what you are doing in this part of the manor.

Jawdan
2013-08-09, 07:03 PM
"Dear girl, I think we have gotten ourselves lost! May I please ask you the favour of leading on to the spare room. My friend and master, Professor Ackleston, has been walking for the better part of the afternoon." He leaned in, accent mysteriously gone, "It's bad for his corns, I hope you understand."

He looked around, lips pursing, "Is it upstairs?"

Bluff: [roll0]

Felhammer
2013-08-09, 07:10 PM
SHORTY

The Gnome scrambles into the corridor and is confronted by number nine on his list of ten worst fears - creepy children asking questions they ought not be asking to strangers. Short's head twitches a bit and his left eyelid goes a bit haywire. He is soothed by the moral-less brigand's lies, at least for now...

SiuiS
2013-08-11, 04:14 PM
Well, clearly there was nothing for it. Settin her panther before the (now closed) door to keep intruders out with its bulk, Betrys sets to searching stacks of paper for anything... Well, anything. Details that are mysteriously blank or look wrong are more likely to be useful than trying to find a hand-written confession, she supposes.

Philemonite
2013-08-12, 04:44 AM
Shorty and Captain

The girl looks at you with a surprised look.
"Are you Master's guests? This part of the manor is only for the servants, guests shouldn't be here. You should follow that corridor and go right at the end. That will take you to the main hall. Do not go left, that will only lead to Master's office."

Betrys

As you search the documents you notice that there are two tomes missing. One of the empty slots is labeled "Acquisition" and the other one is labeled as "Sales". You also notice a shiny trinket that is tucked away behind one of the parchments. Your search is interrupted some voices that seem somewhat familiar. You realize that voices are coming from the corridor.

Felhammer
2013-08-14, 05:00 PM
SHORTY

Seeing as his companion has seemingly lost his tongue, the scared little Gnome chimes in, "W-w-why yes... We are guests and we are l-lost. We shall head off to where we belong... To the right, did you say? Not the left but the right, is that right? Well I must say, look at the time, we ought not be dillydallying here in this... Room any longer. What do you say old chap shall we go rejoin the others... To the right...? I think so, it seems like a most pleasant idea... So we shall be off... Yes off to the right... Where the other adults are. Yup indeedy, that is where we are definitely headed..." Shorty grins widely and chuckles a bit as if to placate the girl's unease and to fill the sudden silence that has enveloped the entire room...

Shorty walks out of the room and, when he sees the girl is not looking, dashes left.

Bluff role (if necessary): [roll0]
Stealth Roll: [roll1]

SiuiS
2013-08-15, 04:02 AM
Nothin for it; Betrys wasn't even sure this was something odd for the household. With a shrug, she continues searching through papers for leads, going for the shiny-shiny only at the last, and carefully – if any lesson learned stuck out, it was the lesson of the gallows tree. Give a man enough rope, and he will hang himself! They had said. a single innocuous gem or bit of gold someplace is the perfect trap.

Jawdan
2013-08-15, 04:15 AM
"Thank you, my dear girl." The Captain gives her a suggestive wink, "Perhaps I'll see you later, 'eh?"

He walks down the corridor, peers back to make sure she's not staring at him, then slips through the same door as Shorty.

"Sorreh lad, got a tad distracted, aye?"

Stealth: [roll0]

Philemonite
2013-08-16, 06:39 AM
Shorty and Captain

When you take the left corridor you notice that this part of the estate looks much better, it is very tastefully decorated. You can hear voices coming from the other side of the corridor. You notice a small stairway that you can take to avoid them, or you can check if any of the rooms in the corridor is unlocked.

Betrys

Since the papers offer no interesting information the big desk attracts your attention. You open it without much trouble (who needs keys anyway) and you notice one of the missing books(Acquisition). When you remove the trinkets you notice no immediate reaction, but you are still not sure if something that something didn't click somewhere.

Felhammer
2013-08-17, 01:08 AM
SHORTY

The Gnome hears the voices and decides it is best to duck into the closest open hiding spot. In this case - the stairs.

SiuiS
2013-08-17, 02:17 AM
First things are first; what exactly is in this book that merits hiding? The dryad gives its pages a flip-through for fun words to use if she were caught, like account names with numbers that don't add up or anything obvious like blacked out lines or torn pages. After, Betrys wraps the book in a broad handkerchief and, with the precision of a discus, sends it spinning out the window to the waiting shadows of the alley from which she came.

Let's see what else this place has in store for us, hmm~? The panther pads silently to her side and yawns – as much agreement as one could e'er expect from a cat, really.

Waiting for any signs of retreat from the other side, first, Betrys will slide out of the office and into the house proper to continue her search.

Jawdan
2013-08-17, 02:24 AM
It was the obvious choice and Captain Iron flew up the stairs right behind the gnome. This had to be the busiest house he'd ever been in, the captain fumed.

Philemonite
2013-08-18, 06:12 AM
Betrys

At first glance it looks like an ordinary boring book detailing acquisition of merchandise, but as you take a closer look you realize that this numbers do not add up. The numbers must be a code for something. The seal of Seldor's house might be enough to cast suspicion on the corrupt noble.
As you enter the corridor you hear some noise from a nearby stairway, and before you have a chance to retreat you are surprised by a gnome climbing up the stairs and a human following him.

Shorty and Captain

You escape the voices by taking the stairs, but as you climb you are surprised by the dryad, standing in the middle of the corridor.

Felhammer
2013-08-18, 05:01 PM
SHORTY

The Gnome calls upon his Psionic training to send a mental message to the dryad in front of him, "Be you friend or foe?"

Using Send Thoughts Power

Free Action / Range 20

Target: One Creature that shares a language with you

Effect: You send a mental image of 25 words or fewer to the target. The target can respond in kind as a free action.

SiuiS
2013-08-18, 08:22 PM
... Shorty? It's me. How are you...? Betrys gestures feebly, looking about. {Ventriloquism? No, that was telepathic. I found a book that would be useful, and am looking for a second. I need to find his bedroom.}

Felhammer
2013-08-18, 08:38 PM
SHORTY

The Gnome whispers, "Betrys, behind you... On the stairs."

Jawdan
2013-08-18, 10:22 PM
"'Urry up, Shorteh." The pirate grumbled as the gnome hesitated on the top of the stairs. The man picked up the gnome by the back of his shirt and carried him into the corridor.

"Oh, tis yer, Betrys. Did ye fin' anehthin?" He muttered quietly, placing the gnome back on the ground.

Felhammer
2013-08-18, 10:30 PM
SHORTY

As the Gnome is accosted by the Pirate he whispers, "You shall rue the day you dared trifle with Shorty!"

Jawdan
2013-08-18, 10:35 PM
The captain patted the gnome on the head, "We've a mission, Shorteh, lettuce focus, aye?"

Then looked to Betrys to see if she'd found anything.

Felhammer
2013-08-18, 10:46 PM
SHORTY

Lettuce, eh? Well relish your victory now because I shall mustard the strength to get you yet!

SiuiS
2013-08-18, 11:12 PM
Focus, gentleman. We are looking for a book entitled "Sales". I'll follow you and distract anyone who bothers you. You search this floor. Agreed? The dryad offers quietly.

Jawdan
2013-08-18, 11:22 PM
The captain nods to the dryad, and gives a quizzical glance to the gnome. Definitely something wrong with that one, he theorised.

Getting back to business, the pirate went to the first door in the corridor and tried the handle.

Felhammer
2013-08-18, 11:22 PM
SHORTY

"Fine, fine. I shall do the work of ten men, your forested-ness."

Stealth Check: [roll0]
Perception Check: [roll1]

Philemonite
2013-08-25, 12:37 PM
Before you have a chance to explore further you hear some commotion downstairs. This could provide a perfect distraction so that you can continue your snooping. However, it could make the guards and servants much more cautious. You already have one book, so that should mean something. On the other hand, finding the second book would give you greater chances for a success.

SiuiS
2013-08-26, 04:10 AM
SHORTY

"Fine, fine. I shall do the work of ten men, your forested-ness."

Stealth Check: [roll0]
Perception Check: [roll1]

Betrys smiles brightly. I would believe no less of you, Shorty~ She stands near the head of the stairs, ready to intercept anyone as agreed upon.

Jawdan
2013-08-26, 04:53 AM
The captain goes on and tries another door. "Weh can ge' ou' inna-flash if things go bad, eh?"

Felhammer
2013-08-26, 09:40 AM
SHORTY

The Gnome also checks a room by slowly opening the door and peering inside.

Philemonite
2013-08-29, 09:49 AM
As you open the door you can see that it is mostly empty, aside from a few pieces of furniture you notice nothing else in the room. It looks like the room has been used recently, but a thick layer of dust on the furniture says otherwise.

Felhammer
2013-08-29, 08:23 PM
SHORTY

The Gnome shivers as he looks into the dusty room, "I thought rich people had people to clean for them... Which means someone is hiding something! Indeed the foul stench of mystery is thick in the air (and it has nothing to do with that questionable breakfast I ate!)." Shorty then slowly creeps into the room and performs a more through search.

Stealth [roll0]
Perception [roll1]

SiuiS
2013-08-31, 03:09 PM
Stench of mystery if we are lucky. Betrys whispers to the gnome across the hall. We are investigating a darkness. Be wary.

Jawdan
2013-08-31, 09:40 PM
Before Shorty has time to walk into the room, the Captain buries his nose to the ground, and attempts to track the movement in the room through disturbances in the dust.

Perception: [roll0]

Philemonite
2013-09-01, 10:08 AM
As you enter the room you notice a mist that starts to gather. It swirls across the room until it forms a humanoid shape and starts speaking.
"Puny mortals, you don't even know what you are getting into. You are just pawns in someone else's game. Here's a little riddle for you.
Seven start shine at the edge of the horizon. One looks familiar, but other's will soon. Six powers clash, and the seventh keeps the balance. They play with the Nine, the bringer of darkness. The Kings and Queens fight the most fierce, yet it is the pawns that will determine the outcome.
You are confused, it is understandable. The pieces will all fit, and the truth will be revealed. Time will show. Play your roles for now, your destiny will soon be decided. Now leave."
The mist dissipates without saying anything else.

Felhammer
2013-09-01, 03:59 PM
SHORTY

The Gnome wigs out... He sees the humanoid shape but does not, nay cannot, believe it to be real. Which leads the Gnome to a terrible realization - he's finally cracked. He looks to the slaver captain and says, "I-I think I am going mad. Years and years of hardship are all for not! I am now insane. A year from now I will be nothing more than an mumbling oddity, sitting on a street corner, slowly rocking back and forth as I talk with unheard voices. People will toss copper coins at me while children will tease and taunt me. One day I will crack and beat one of those vile cretinous younglings, at which point the adults will no longer think me harmless. They will beat me mercilessly and drown me in a fetid river. My corpse will drift down stream and scare little babes. Their parents will point to my floating corpse and say, "And that's why you should be nice to everyone you meet little Jamie, or else you'll wind up like that poor old sod."

Jawdan
2013-09-09, 12:45 AM
"What are you talking about?" The captain asks the little gnome, "I didn't see anything."

He sent a hidden grin to his other companion, playing a prank on Shorty. He bent over, trying to track the marks in the dust and storing the words of the 'prophecy' for later regurgitation.

Perception: [roll0]

Felhammer
2013-09-09, 02:18 AM
The Gnome looks up at the Captain-Slaver-Man, mouth agape, "S-so it's true... I am as cracked as a coconut that has fallen upon the head of the densest Dwarf in all of Mithril Hall. Woe is me! Please, Captain, promise to bury me in the earth! Promise me that my corpse won't be devoured by fish and sharks and octopi!"

Jawdan
2013-09-09, 03:35 AM
"Shhhh, Shorteh, y'all be okay. I got ya back, Shorteh." He pats the gnome on the back.

SiuiS
2013-09-09, 10:48 PM
The Gnome looks up at the Captain-Slaver-Man, mouth agape, "S-so it's true... I am as cracked as a coconut that has fallen upon the head of the densest Dwarf in all of Mithril Hall. Woe is me! Please, Captain, promise to bury me in the earth! Promise me that my corpse won't be devoured by fish and sharks and octopi!"

You are indeed, but no. The dryad responds gently. That was... Strange. What do you think, Captain?

Felhammer
2013-09-09, 11:02 PM
"If I am not cracked, then what manner of sorcery spoke to me... And I presume you? My years of study have lead me to believe in the power of the thinking cap." The Gnome retrieves a wrinkled red, conical hat from his pouch and places it firmly upon his head with great care and precision. "What do we know of this house? Wealthy men live here... And wealthy men do not like snoopers, like ourselves. They often employ those with magical powers to enchant their houses, in an effort to deter less stalwart snoopers. Other wealthy folk actually employ men of dark magic to guard their homes... Either way we were told to leave. That means a mystery is afoot!"

Shorty walks back and forth while thinking out loud. "Seven stars shine at the edge of the horizon. What is the significance of seven?"

History check: [roll0]

SiuiS
2013-09-14, 12:01 PM
I can't be sure, Betrys says wistfully. But something wanted us out of this room. It's your call, gentleman – do we risk a loud engagement, with children in the house? Or do we have sufficient information?

The dryad whistles low, like wind through a birch tree, and her shadow seems to
Bulge, and split, the fairy panther emerging from hiding, ready.

Jawdan
2013-09-16, 12:39 AM
"Ack, did ye find something?" He nods thoughtfully, "'Rightio, lettuce go afore we be found, eh?"

He strolls to the window, sticks his head out and looks for guards and others, before putting his legs over and dropping to the ground gracefully.

[roll0]

Felhammer
2013-09-16, 02:11 AM
SHORTY

The Gnome follows the Captain out the Window.

Acrobatics: [roll0]

SiuiS
2013-09-16, 02:23 AM
Betrys, being of a different sort, decides instead to simply walk down the stairs and out the back door.

Philemonite
2013-09-19, 06:18 AM
Mission accomplished.:smalltongue: