2013-07-14, 10:29 AM
New comic is up.

Lossoth
2013-07-14, 10:31 AM
Holy cow.
Love it!

Cicciograna
2013-07-14, 10:32 AM
Oh, my! A Disintegrate right in the face!
And after all Belkar's idea was pretty good.

Gift Jeraff
2013-07-14, 10:32 AM
At least someone remembers you, Roy. :smalltongue:

EDIT: And the roaches. lol

Svirfneblin
2013-07-14, 10:33 AM
Hah, hiding in a coffin. Nice one, Belkar.

Tock Zipporah
And the roaches were in the nuked fridge! Brilliant lampshading!

Now for the Linear Guild to show up and turn this into a free for all.

Torvaun
That's a different perspective than Blackwing had. Due to the relative differences in altitude?

Plerumque
2013-07-14, 10:34 AM
I wonder what happened to Girard.

Kyronea
2013-07-14, 10:34 AM
The question becomes now, will they try to escape inside the rift? Because it honestly seems like the best direction to run in, from where I'm standing.

Unless Hinjo's crowd can teleport them away.

Mauve Shirt
2013-07-14, 10:35 AM
Did.... Did Roy just die?

King of Nowhere
CRAP!
they're against team evil
How are they going to escape from that?
Unless Xykon is disabled from the fight. But redcloak alone should be enough to take all of them.

Chep
it's been a while since I last played....but Roy should survive one disintegrate, right? Right? :smallfrown:

DaOldeWolf
Damn, they get into a fight just with Team Evil? Things certainly arent looking good.

I also wondered what happened to the Linear Guild. Tarquin and Kilkil probably make it out safe but I wonder about the rest.

Dire Lemming
Oh, my... :smallconfused:

ChristianSt
2013-07-14, 10:37 AM
So how long will it take that someone will jump into the rift?

I bet 5 copper piece on "The Order in 1-3 strips to escape from Team Evil."

Amaril
The question becomes now, will they try to escape inside the rift? Because it honestly seems like the best direction to run in, from where I'm standing.

Holy crap...that would be amazing. This is the PERFECT time in the story for some massive, shocking revelations that change everything. I don't even know why, it just feels so, so right somehow.

Giant, PLEASE do this, it's too great an opportunity to miss.

Haluesen
Wow now this is amazing, wake up turn on the computer and there is a comic! Coulodn't be better timed. :smallamused:

Well not that panel was a surprise attack. Wonder how this will go? Brawl, or run for their lives? And I'm sure Roy is okay, he's got a good Fort save. :smalltongue: Anyway I almost forgot, nicely done Giant, thank you for the quick updates lately.

Thokk_Smash
I like how Redcloak remembers Roy, even if Xykon doesn't. Who wants to bet that they jump into the rift to escape from Team Evil?

Tock Zipporah
it's been a while since I last played....but Roy should survive one disintegrate, right? Right? :smallfrown:

Hinjo took a disintegrate to the face and lived, and Roy is higher level. Plus Roy has a good Fort save. He should be fine.

Trixie
2013-07-14, 10:38 AM
I wonder, how they get to sarcophagus in time? Wasn't it in the chamber where Tarquin waited to do whatever was his plan while Nale bumbled in the dungeon? :smallconfused:

FullStop
The constantly getting jerked around RE: Belkar's death is makin' me giggle quite a bit. Also, interesting that RC clearly remembers Roy et al. Very concerning that we've now got the crew out in the open, with no cover, Team Evil extremely in the vicinity, and the LG/Lord Tarquaad unaccounted for.

Please, PLEASE let this be a setup for a multi-side tag-team rumble, just to see the kind of battle Rich can put together for it.

King of Nowhere
And btw, where did the fridge come from?

Kiraxa
Roy (probably) didn't die from the Disintegrate. http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0186.html Disintegrate shows the skeleton when it hits, even when its not fatal.

Starbuck_II
2013-07-14, 10:39 AM

Well, it is a Fort save... so in theory he might make it. But then again, he takes damage on a successful save as well (how wounded was he before?).

Cuthalion
I have a feeling it would be a :smallfrown: or :smalleek: if he had been disintegrated. Ouch, though.

Left or right?

Never mind.

Ebon_Drake
I love it when updates catch me by surprise, especially ones as good as that.

:elan: Belkar kicked me in the face by accident.
:belkar: Sorry about that. I thought you were Roy.

:biggrin:

Razanir
1) Who cast the disintegrate, or do we not know?
2) Not again, Roy! DON'T MAKE ELAN HAVE TO COMPOSE ANOTHER SONG
3) Jump in, jump in!

Caivs
Awesome strip, Giant...I was looking forward to this

Kiraxa
2013-07-14, 10:40 AM
1) Who cast the disintegrate, or do we not know?
2) Not again, Roy! DON'T MAKE ELAN HAVE TO COMPOSE ANOTHER SONG
3) Jump in, jump in!

Redcloak is the most likely source. He has the casting glow to his hand, and its a favored spell of his.

Amaril
Roy's gonna be fine, it looks like he wasn't even injured before he got blasted, and he can Fort save with the best of 'em.

teratorn
No surprises there, coffins and fridges are the way to survive explosions so it seems. Everyone is accounted for except for V who will be needed if they plan to survive the confrontation with wrong-eye.

St Fan
2013-07-14, 10:41 AM
I must be a future psychic, I just felt there was a new comic. First time I read while there's only one page of comments.

Very funny strip, though I didn't expect the actual coffin trick. More like them using the flying carpet, even though it was blown away earlier by Malack's whirlwind.

Redcloak looks rather pissed off....

Plerumque
I wonder, how they get to sarcophagus in time? Wasn't it in the chamber where Tarquin waited to do whatever was his plan while Nale bumbled in the dungeon? :smallconfused:

It took a while from the pressing of the self-destruct button until the destruction of the Gate and subsequent explosion of Dorukan's Gate though, right?

Skeletor
Love the last frame, Indiana Roach is awesome.

CoffeeIncluded
2013-07-14, 10:42 AM
Haha, what a perfect thing to come back too!

I wonder if V's in the rift, and it looks like the Order might be about to follow...

Trixie
2013-07-14, 10:42 AM
Hinjo took a disintegrate to the face and lived, and Roy is higher level. Plus Roy has a good Fort save. He should be fine.

Was it disintegrate though? Redcloak has any number of harmful high level spells, are we sure about this? Also, wasn't Hinjo's Fort save (high, plus Paladin bonus on top) a lot higher than Roy's?

Traab
2013-07-14, 10:43 AM
Holy crap...that would be amazing. This is the PERFECT time in the story for some massive, shocking revelations that change everything. I don't even know why, it just feels so, so right somehow.

Is there a version of D&D that could be considered a huge "snarl" of rules and abilities and such? Might be an interesting method to update their skill lists by altering the reality they are fighting in. After all, we DID get an update early on in the comic to their characters by switching to the "new" rules.

gellerche
2013-07-14, 10:43 AM
What's with the feet (and partial legs) on top of the coffin? Is this an in-game joke that I'm missing?

Avaris
2013-07-14, 10:44 AM
Wow, surprise Sunday update.

Also, definitely Disintegrate cast by Redcloak. He did the same to O-Chul back in 655 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0655.html), which shows it is likely to be his first response to high level threats. Also, same artwork.

St Fan
2013-07-14, 10:44 AM

The reached the sarcophagus in time because it was precisely in the chamber they reached two strips ago, when Belkar wandered off-panel.

And nothing ever indicated that Tarquin wanted to stay in this chamber while doing whatever business he had in mind. He's certainly outside of the pyramid right now.

FullStop
2013-07-14, 10:45 AM
What's with the feet (and partial legs) on top of the coffin? Is this an in-game joke that I'm missing?

That coffin's the one we saw Girard's skeleton in earlier in the arc, and it had a statue of Girard on top of it.

Welf
2013-07-14, 10:45 AM
I wonder where they plugged in the freezer. I see the need to have a freezer with nice icicles in a dessert, but wouldn't it be magical?

St Fan
2013-07-14, 10:46 AM

It's the remnant of Girard's statue atop his tomb (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0846.html).

Holy_Knight
Wow!

That was certainly exciting. While things look bad for the Order, they may have a couple things going for them. If Xykon is damaged enough to be out of the fight, or at least too concerned with putting himself back together to really pay attention, that increases their odds considerably. Also, Redcloak might want to hold back a little if he can, because why let Xykon know he can cast 9th-level spells now unless he has to? Long term, keeping Xykon from knowing his actual power level could be important to finally getting rid of him. So, they may have a chance to escape with their lives, especially if Xykon prioritizes getting to the last gate as soon as possible instead of wasting any more time.

Trixie
It took a while from the pressing of the self-destruct button until the destruction of the Gate and subsequent explosion of Dorukan's Gate though, right?

My point was more it should be full with Nale arguing/being mocked by Tarquin with rest of the party (and possibly Tarquin's old party, too) listening to conversation. Where they all went? Did I miss anything?

Grey Watcher
2013-07-14, 10:47 AM

The sarcophagus room is the main entrance, as well as the one immediately downstairs from the cafeteria. If you look closely at the architectural details, they were already in the sarcophagus room when Belkar had his idea.

Also, I'm really confused as to why Soon's rift opens into outer space near Riftworld and Girard's opens right on top of an ocean.

Then again, what was that line from Gods of Arr-Keelan? "You want me to explain why one universe is different than another?"

EDIT: Ah, yes, Trixie. If I remember correctly, Tarquin and Kilkil went outside to do their secret business, right? And Nale may have just had Z teleport them out when things started falling apart. So, until we see some evidence otherwise, I'm assuming they got away safely well ahead of the Order.

Faramir
That coffin's the one we saw Girard's skeleton in earlier in the arc, and it had a statue of Girard on top of it.

Which implies the gate was between his (statue's) buttcheeks after all.

Sky_Schemer
NICE. And everyone's pretty roughed up, too.

Maybe we will get that epic battle between TE, TT, the LG, and the OOtS after all.

Amaril
Is there a version of D&D that could be considered a huge "snarl" of rules and abilities and such? Might be an interesting method to update their skill lists by altering the reality they are fighting in. After all, we DID get an update early on in the comic to their characters by switching to the "new" rules.

Hmm...I can't think of one that I've ever heard described like that, but I'd certainly make that statement about 4e. Somehow I doubt that's something that'll happen, though, since the Giant specifically stated a while back that he wouldn't be addressing the introduction of 4e in the comic.

However, this gives me an idea...one of the central conceits of the comic so far has been that this is a world that operates on D&D rules, right? What I'm picturing now is that, through some sequence of events related to the rift, the Order could possibly be placed in a position to subvert those rules somehow. That could provide a much-needed advantage to them for the final leg of the story, something they might just be able to turn things around with.

Yeah, I know nothing like that will happen for real, it's just something that occurred to me.

ArlEammon
The roaches!!! This is the best day of my life.

Ionbound
2013-07-14, 10:48 AM
Oh jeez. Is Roy about to die...again? More importantly, will Roy dying become a running gag at the end of a gate conflict?

HalfTangible
2013-07-14, 10:48 AM
My point was more it should be full with Nale arguing/being mocked by Tarquin with rest of the party (and possibly Tarquin's old party, too) listening to conversation. Where they all went? Did I miss anything?

Unlike the Order, the Linear Guild would've had time to leave the building by the stairs as soon as they realized the pyramid was collapsing. After all, they were already at the steps.

... heh heh. "Has anyone seen my pelvis?"

(also, minor detail: Belkar's color is back)

Grey Pilgrim
2013-07-14, 10:49 AM
Awww, a new strip!

-Few moments later-

Awww, the suspension! It burns!
Great job anyways, Giant!

Edit: Whoa, second page, not bad :smallbiggrin:

Kolhammer
2013-07-14, 10:49 AM
Nice team aid by Elan.

Kancsar
2013-07-14, 10:50 AM
So they did survive by hiding in the "fridge" of Gerard's sarcophagus ? V needs to offer condolences to the laws of physics, once again. It was a very bad idea when Lucas did it, less bad here (lands in soft sand, some minor damage shown) but still takes me out of the story. Hopefully this will be the final Lucas reference for a while.

Anyway, story is now set up for the OotS to flee through the Rift with the new world as the focus of the next Book.

Traab
2013-07-14, 10:50 AM
Hmm...I can't think of one that I've ever heard described like that, but I'd certainly make that statement about 4e. Somehow I doubt that's something that'll happen, though, since the Giant specifically stated a while back that he wouldn't be addressing the introduction of 4e in the comic.

However, this gives me an idea...one of the central conceits of the comic so far has been that this is a world that operates on D&D rules, right? What I'm picturing now is that, through some sequence of events related to the rift, the Order could possibly be placed in a position to subvert those rules somehow. That could provide a much-needed advantage to them for the final leg of the story, something they might just be able to turn things around with.

Yeah, I know nothing like that will happen for real, it's just something that occurred to me.

Oh god, they are running into the realm of the HOMEBREW!!!! ANYTHING could happen there! Rule of Cool may be supreme, unless they get lucky and land in the realm of the astute GM who adjusts the rules so they make better sense.

Amaril
2013-07-14, 10:51 AM
Oh god, they are running into the realm of the HOMEBREW!!!! ANYTHING could happen there! Rule of Cool may be supreme, unless they get lucky and land in the realm of the astute GM who adjusts the rules so they make better sense.

:smallconfused:

:smalleek:

Dear God, Traab, you are a genius.

ChaosArchon
2013-07-14, 10:51 AM
Great comic! I especially loved the reference to the new Indiana Jones movie with the roaches :P

Quorothorn
2013-07-14, 10:53 AM
Was it disintegrate though? Redcloak has any number of harmful high level spells, are we sure about this? Also, wasn't Hinjo's Fort save (high, plus Paladin bonus on top) a lot higher than Roy's?

Yes. The green ray and the "X-ray vision" are both distinctive signs of Disintegrate in OOTS. Also, in terms of FORT saves Roy would have at least +9 plus his CON; Hinjo +7 or +8 plus his CON and CHA scores (ETA: modifiers, not scores, oops), leaving aside magic items. Pretty close. Unlike Destruction, though, a failed save is not automatic death....just 34d6 damage, average ~119. Roy would have HP something like 87 + (CON x 15), and his CON really ought to be at least a +3 modifier.

...that said, that entire paragraph I just wrote outside the first two sentences is frankly not very relevant. x)

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2013-07-14, 10:54 AM
So they did survive by hiding in the "fridge" of Gerard's sarcophagus ? With no blast/falling damage?

Yes, the wounds drawn on the characters are just another of Girard's illusions and Elan is wasting a mass cure on a full health party because he's Elan. :smalltongue:

Psyren
2013-07-14, 10:55 AM
Man, that umbrella has seen better days.

sam79
2013-07-14, 10:55 AM
Great strip! Looks like it could be curtains for Belkar pretty soon...

What's going on with Xykon in the last panel? Is he flying?

So...will this explosion actually kill anyone? Will the Linear Guild survive completely intact, for example?

dps
2013-07-14, 10:56 AM
So they did survive by hiding in the "fridge" of Gerard's sarcophagus ? With no blast/falling damage?

They took damage--look at panel 4, though not much. Then in the next panel, Elan cast Mass Cure Light Wounds, so the damage is gone after that.

FullStop
Yes. The green ray and the "X-ray vision" are both distinctive signs of Disintegrate in OOTS.

Actually "thin green ray" is how the disintegrate spell is described in the SRD, so that at least isn't just an artistic convention.

MarcoSegoviaMD
Either V or team Tarquin are now inside the rift. Belkar might be about to breathe his last in this world, but there's nothing to say he won't keep on breathing on the other side of the rift...

Unkillable_Cat
2013-07-14, 10:57 AM
Man, that umbrella has seen better days.

I'm actually wondering why the umbrella looks like it does. Like something is sticking into it from underneath, after it has been, say, subjected to a large heavy object landing on it?

Could it be that the MitD has horns? Or really big ears?

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2013-07-14, 10:58 AM
Yes. The green ray and the "X-ray vision" are both distinctive signs of Disintegrate in OOTS. Also, in terms of FORT saves Roy would have at least +9 plus his CON; Hinjo +7 or +8 plus his CON and CHA scores, leaving aside magic items. Pretty close. Unlike Destruction, though, a failed save is not automatic death....just 34d6 damage, average ~119. Roy would have HP something like 87 + (CON x 15), and his CON really ought to be at least a +3 modifier.

...that said, that entire paragraph I just wrote outside the first two sentences is frankly not very relevant. x)

Yeah, exactly; maybe O-chul and Hinjo rolled twenties and Roy rolled a one, maybe Redcloak rolled low on damage for one spell and high for another, &c.

Deepbluediver
2013-07-14, 10:59 AM
Well, it is a Fort save... so in theory he might make it. But then again, he takes damage on a successful save as well (how wounded was he before?).

He was looking a little banged up from the ride in the coffin, but before that he was at pretty full health (Durkon healed them after the first Tarquin fight) and Elan probably topped them off with at least one CLW.

I'd guess he was at perfect or near-full health.

The specifically mention that it's looking at an ocean, with no land in sight, and they have no high-level magic users capable of teleporting back. It seems like things would have to be very desperate to risk being unmade by the snarl and end up on another plane of existence just for a quick getaway.

Unless Xykon is disabled from the fight. But redcloak alone should be enough to take all of them.

Xykon apparently only has one hand, atm, it might slow him down, although that seems unlikely.

But I doubt Redclock is capable of taking on all the rest of the OotS by himself. Please remember that the Tier list does not correlate perfectly with how combat plays out in the story. Even if it did, one usual cleric tactic is to buff themselves up and run into melee, but RC has never show skill at direct combat; I'm not even sure if he's wearing armor. If he prepared for it and kept them out of range, he could probably kill them, but he also might be loaded up with True Seeing and the like to get through the pyramid.

Quorothorn
2013-07-14, 10:59 AM

Xykon DOES have Overland Flight, and given his level he can probably have that last a full day or more (hour per caster level), so that would be my guess.

Actually "thin green ray" is how the disintegrate spell is described in the SRD, so that at least isn't just an artistic convention.

Very true; I didn't mean to imply that was "unique" to OOTS' visual style.

ManuelSacha
2013-07-14, 11:00 AM
So... they went for the old "hide in a fridge from the nuclear explosion" trick, huh? :smallwink:

Psyren
2013-07-14, 11:00 AM

Yes - he casts Overland Flight most days I imagine, so even though the blast messed him up, he's still mobile.

I'm actually wondering why the umbrella looks like it does. Like something is sticking into it from underneath, after it has been, say, subjected to a large heavy object landing on it?

Could it be that the MitD has horns? Or really big ears?

I think it's just beat up from the explosion. Though that much at least tells us it's not made out of anything special.

Xykon apparently only has one hand, atm, it might slow him down, although that seems unlikely.

Unfortunately, one hand is all you need for a somatic component, even if you didn't have Still Spell (which Xykon does.)

Frog Dragon
2013-07-14, 11:01 AM
He has both. One hand just isn't very visible with the sand as backdrop.

JSSheridan
2013-07-14, 11:02 AM
Thanks Giant!

prism6691

Actually he has both hands. Take a good look.

Edit. Ninja'd

Trixie
EDIT: Ah, yes, Trixie. If I remember correctly, Tarquin and Kilkil went outside to do their secret business, right? And Nale may have just had Z teleport them out when things started falling apart. So, until we see some evidence otherwise, I'm assuming they got away safely well ahead of the Order.

My confusion stems from the fact that when we last saw Tarquin (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0883.html) he said he was going to stay in room where sarcophagus was. Or was it another room? :smallconfused:

Drakeburn
2013-07-14, 11:03 AM
Oh boy, this ought to be good.

If the linear guild joins in, there is going to be one heck of a battle.

Deepbluediver
2013-07-14, 11:04 AM
Actually he has both hands. Take a good look.

So he does; I missed it up against that light background. In that case I doubt he would be hindered much at al, aside from some lost HP, and one good Harm will clear that up.

My confusion stems from the fact that when we last saw Tarquin (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0883.html) he said he was going to stay in room where sarcophagus was. Or was it another room? :smallconfused:

I was thinking that they left the pyramid when Nale got back up there, or at least cleared out by the time that shaking started. Tarquin is probably genre-savvy enough to recognize a "the base is about to blow!" style rumble. :smalltongue:
Where they went though, I have no idea.

sam79
2013-07-14, 11:04 AM
Yes - he casts Overland Flight most days I imagine, so even though the blast messed him up, he's still mobile.

Xykon DOES have Overland Flight, and given his level he can probably have that last a full day or more (hour per caster level), so that would be my guess.

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. So, basically, Xykon is still very much in the fight, even without legs and pelvis.

Needle
2013-07-14, 11:08 AM
So the question now is, where is the LG? Tarquin and Kilkil are safe, I don't know if the others had time to escape, tho it's seems possible since the Order made a run to the statue.

I'd appreciate Zz'dtri casting Flesh to Stone on Redcloak, not that he'll want to help at all :smallbiggrin:

Inuzuka
2013-07-14, 11:11 AM
So Redcloak recognizes Roy, and he should recognize Nale, would like a 3 way battle to happen. Maybe Evil Cleric vs 2 Evil Clerics?

CatgirlTheCrazy

I agree about why the new world is unlikely to operate under different D&D like rules: it would require too much explanation of those rules, which would drag down the story an be confusing to new readers.

I think that if the rift-world has different rules than D&D 3.5, then the rift-world will have NO D&D rules at all, i.e., it will be like our world. Then readers could easily intuit the rule changes without needing explanations or familiarity with other D&D editions. However, since the Giant Jossed the idea that the rift-world was our world in the DStP commentary, the rift-world would have to be a completely different rule-free world from ours. Thus, I'm not sure my theory's very likely.

Hendel
As mentioned, I love the little Indiana Jones reference with the fridge and the little hat and whip on the roach.

As for Roy, I don't think he will die from a single Disintegrate spell.

Good to see Belkar still around.

Demolator
I swear almost the same thing happened in Skyrim. :smalltongue: I too wonder where the LG and Tarquin went. I didn't think they could get out of the blast radius yet. Maybe they're buried, or something.

DaggerPen
2013-07-14, 11:12 AM
And the roaches survive in a cooler. Cute.

Great update, and also a worrisome one. Belkar, please don't die here!

Grey Pilgrim
2013-07-14, 11:13 AM
...wait. Is the punchline only a sign of MitD's lack of ranks in Knowledge (anatomy) or does he have a real reason to differentiate between left and right pelvis?!? Like, say, having two of them himself?

prism6691
2013-07-14, 11:13 AM
So Redcloak recognizes Roy, and he should recognize Nale, would like a 3 way battle to happen. Maybe Evil Cleric vs 2 Evil Clerics?

That would be interesting. I could see Redcloak destroying Malack releasing Durkon from his thrall.

Halghare
2013-07-14, 11:14 AM
Interesting that the Order wasn't Fascinated by the rift the way Blackwing was. Or maybe they were? Hard to tell since they're facing the wrong way for us to see their eyes.

Rakoa
2013-07-14, 11:14 AM
Interesting that the Order wasn't Fascinated by the rift the way Blackwing was.

Well, Blackwing has been known to be fascinated by anything remotely sparkly or pretty. Being a Raven, and all.

Tragak
2013-07-14, 11:16 AM
Interesting that the Order wasn't Fascinated by the rift the way Blackwing was. Or maybe they were? Hard to tell since they're facing the wrong way for us to see their eyes. Imagine you're at the beach, looking at the ocean. Now imagine you're at the Moon, looking at the Earth. If you've seen an ocean before in your life, you won't be impacted as much by the first one :smallwink:

prism6691
2013-07-14, 11:16 AM
...wait. Is the punchline only a sign of MitD's lack of ranks in Knowledge (anatomy) or does he have a real reason to differentiate between left and right pelvis?!? Like, say, having two of them himself?

I think that belongs in the MITD thread :)

pendell
2013-07-14, 11:17 AM
What? No flumphs? VEEERY disappointed.

:smallbiggrin:

Just kidding. Actually, Xykon made me laugh harder than I have in a long time.

"Hey anyone seen my pelvis?"

THAT is comedy gold, right there.

... but where is the Linear Guild? We see Redcloak and team evil...

... so Redcloak remembers Greenhilt's name. Good for him! I always knew he was the smart one in the group.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Kish
2013-07-14, 11:19 AM
Or did he mean that Xykon's pelvis wasn't in one piece anymore?

Knight.Anon
2013-07-14, 11:19 AM
OMG Roy got turned into a Lich!:smallsmile:

Gift Jeraff
2013-07-14, 11:20 AM
Can Xykon regenerate his lost body parts without the phylactery? Is there a necromantic version of Regenerate? Will Xykon think being a floating half-skeleton is cool?

Well, Blackwing has been known to be fascinated by anything remotely sparkly or pretty. Being a Raven, and all.

I also think seeing a planet from orbit is much more mindblowing.

Beowulf DW
2013-07-14, 11:20 AM

Must. Resist. Urge. To. Sing. "A Whole New World." As. Well. As. Urge. To. Type. Like. Kirk.

FinnLassie
2013-07-14, 11:21 AM
Oh wow. I expected this, but then again, I didn't expect this at all! :smallbiggrin:

Slayer Lord
2013-07-14, 11:23 AM
Those roaches! Good one, Giant.

fan4battle
2013-07-14, 11:23 AM
Ah, the suspense!

So how does the rift work in 3-dimensional space? Is it a hole in reality, that allows you to see through what's opposite to your gaze on the other side of it? From every direction? Or is it more like a plane, or a portal - accessible only from the front?

ChristianSt
2013-07-14, 11:25 AM
So they did survive by hiding in the "fridge" of Gerard's sarcophagus ? V needs to offer condolences to the laws of physics, once again. It was a very bad idea when Lucas did it, less bad here (lands in soft sand, some minor damage shown) but still takes me out of the story. Hopefully this will be the final Lucas reference for a while.

Anyway, story is now set up for the OotS to flee through the Rift with the new world as the focus of the next Book.

I think in a world that's operate under RPG/D&D/Webcomic-rules that is perfectly fine (compare that to 374 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0374.html)). Damage codes for explosions and falling can be pretty survivable for high lvl characters (only character who could have realistically expected to die was Belkar). [I don't know how that is handled in D&D, but in other RPG-systems it is so]

TL;DR: Don't try applying real-life-physics to OotS - It will only work in a minority of cases.

Tragak
OMG Roy got turned into a Lich!:smallsmile: And Xykon got turned into a demilich! Who's going to turn undead next? :smalltongue:

Chaotic Queen
Redcloak is extremely lucky Xykon survived that explosion, otherwise his deceit with the phylactery would've been exposed.

luc258
2013-07-14, 11:28 AM
Indiana Roach for the win, it even has a little whip.

Now, that the Snarl story has been more or less debunked, we are back to the question: why would the Dark One deceive Redcloak about the snarl?

Also, what happened to the Linear Guild and what is Tarquin up to?

ChristianSt
2013-07-14, 11:28 AM
And I really like the nearly torn-apart umbrella of MitD!

But yeah, I really would like to know what Tarquin/LG did in the meantime.

Chaotic Queen
2013-07-14, 11:29 AM
Either V or team Tarquin are now inside the rift. Belkar might be about to breathe his last in this world, but there's nothing to say he won't keep on breathing on the other side of the rift...

The Oracle's prophecy was that Belkar would draw his last breath ever before the end of the year. Not that he would draw his last breath in this world.

luc258
2013-07-14, 11:32 AM
While everybody would love to see the other side of the portal I would say that exploring an ocean without a boat and water might be a bad idea, especially when wearing heavy armor.

Chaotic Queen
2013-07-14, 11:33 AM
And Xykon got turned into a demilich! Who's going to turn undead next? :smalltongue:

Well Durkon was the only one who knew that spell, so I don't think anyone will.

Oh you mean literally turn undead!

Mutant Sheep
2013-07-14, 11:33 AM
:xykon:Meteor Storm.
:belkar:Flying Skeleton! Half a skeleton!
:elan: Something about d'jinn version of mermaid!
:roy:*drowns*

prism6691
2013-07-14, 11:34 AM
The Oracle's prophecy was that Belkar would draw his last breath ever before the end of the year. Not that he would draw his last breath in this world.

Is it not reasonable to assume because the oracle's prophetic powers comes from a deity that only exists in this world (to the best of our knowledge) his ability to see into the future is limited by that? If you leave the scanning zone aka: this reality you are counted as dead and not breathing.

IW Judicator
2013-07-14, 11:34 AM
Now, that the Snarl story has been more or less debunked, we are back to the question: why would the Dark One deceive Redcloak about the snarl?

Perhaps the Dark One didn't deceive Redcloak, but the Dark One's allies deceived him? (After all, if there is no Snarl and there is in-fact an alternate world inside the Rifts in its place, then why bother with the gates? Why not just hop inside the Rift and conquer the world there?)

Naturally, that assumes there wasn't a Snarl to begin with; if there is a Snarl then who can honestly say what's going on.

Amphiox
2013-07-14, 11:36 AM
Redcloak looks pretty banged up. So if there's a fight he won't be at full HP.

It is interesting that it seems Xykon took MORE damage than Redcloak? That doesn't appear to make much sense, mechanics wise.

V and Redcloak could compare notes on the use of their mutual favorite attack spell....

Has Disintegrate ever actually worked on first casting on any high level target (except for Kubota)?

Could Redcloak's next shot miss Roy and get Belkar?

If the battle is looking bad for the Order (read Elan)'s survival, Tarquin, if he is nearby, may be motivated to intervene to save them (Elan).

From the looks of it, V's body could still be in the chamber directly under the rift. Is it possible that said chamber could actually have survived the krakakoom intact?

Chaotic Queen
2013-07-14, 11:38 AM

It is interesting that it seems Xykon took MORE damage than Redcloak? That doesn't appear to make much sense, mechanics wise.

Xykon doesn't have flesh to make sure his bones stay put.

Amphiox
While everybody would love to see the other side of the portal I would say that exploring an ocean without a boat and water might be a bad idea, especially when wearing heavy armor.

A worse idea that standing in exposed terrain (WITHOUT the high ground), and eating Disintegrates from a pissed of high level Cleric and a Epic Lich?

Deepbluediver
Perhaps the Dark One didn't deceive Redcloak, but the Dark One's allies deceived him? (After all, if there is no Snarl and there is in-fact an alternate world inside the Rifts in its place, then why bother with the gates? Why not just hop inside the Rift and conquer the world there?)

Naturally, that assumes there wasn't a Snarl to begin with; if there is a Snarl then who can honestly say what's going on.

The entire story of the snarl hasn't been debunked; really the only thing we can say is that our knowledge is incomplete.

I've voiced the opinion before that the Dark One is not quite the goblin-Jesus he seems to be, since the only character's word we have on that is Redcloak's. The Dark One might not be entirely lying to Redcloak, but he might be misleading him somehow, to play into Redcloak's motivations and personality. Somehow, if given effectively ultimate power over the other gods, it seems unlikely that the Dark One would stop at just "a fair chance" for the goblins and other savage humanoids.

A worse idea that standing in exposed terrain (WITHOUT the high ground), and eating Disintegrates from a pissed of high level Cleric and a Epic Lich?

There's probably lots of rubble lying around they can take cover behind, and while it's not out of the realm of possibility, it is VERY risky, so I'd say it should be an absolute last resort. Remember that as far as the Order knows, anything that even gets close to the rift gets instantly unmade, a fate worse than death.

Joseph_Lavode
2013-07-14, 11:40 AM
I laughed loud at Belkar in this one.

Speculation on the world on the other side of the rifts:

So... is the world on the other side of the rifts getting closer? Is that happening because of the destruction of the gates? And if so, what will happen if and when the last gate is destroyed?

luc258
2013-07-14, 11:40 AM

I do not know how gods are handled in D&D, but I would expect him to manage to gather information about that gate, especially since his master plan relies on it.
The most logical explanation to me would be that the other side changed fundamentally since the dark one started his plan or
maybe the plan was always about finding a new world for the goblins and the blackmail idea was just some motivation..
It also brings into question what the real purpose of the gates is and why the IFCC wants them aparently destroyed.

Hopeless
2013-07-14, 11:41 AM

If that is a Disintregrate then thats a Destruction 7th level spell meaning a base Fortitude save of 10+7+3 for 20 since this is Redcloak I assume he's 17th level with a Wisdom of about 24 with both Spell Focus and the improved version for a total of another +2 so thats 10+7+7+2 for a Fortitude save of 26 since Roy's at least a 13th level Fighter with a Constitution of about 18 and the Great Fortitude feat hopefully that would give him a base 13+4+2 for +19 to his d20 save I figure he'd make that!:smallsmile:

Now if only I could be sure he rolls at least a 10!:smalleek:

Cynric
2013-07-14, 11:41 AM
And it all hits the fan! Again!
Do you think they'll be forced to flee INTO the rift, because that could lead to some kind of weird Matrixy "meeting your creator" stuff.

Burner28
2013-07-14, 11:43 AM
Awesome strip!

MesiDoomstalker
Wow!

That was certainly exciting. While things look bad for the Order, they may have a couple things going for them. If Xykon is damaged enough to be out of the fight, or at least too concerned with putting himself back together to really pay attention, that increases their odds considerably. Also, Redcloak might want to hold back a little if he can, because why let Xykon know he can cast 9th-level spells now unless he has to? Long term, keeping Xykon from knowing his actual power level could be important to finally getting rid of him. So, they may have a chance to escape with their lives, especially if Xykon prioritizes getting to the last gate as soon as possible instead of wasting any more time.

Xykon asked Redcloak to take them to the Astral Plane, which Redcloak responded with Gate. X already knows RC can cast 9ths, and RC isn't afraid to show it.

Vreejack
A monumental stone coffin is very different from a refrigerator, which is essentially a very thin sheet of cheap steel folded into a box.

With the cover on, the coffin would have protected them completely from the overpressure of the explosion, which is what causes a lot of soft tissue damage, especially to the eyes and brain. The weight of the coffin would have absorbed a lot of the impact of the lifting forces, reducing the distance the coffin rose into the sky, and ultimately how much damage they took from the rise and from the ultimate landing.

luagha
2013-07-14, 11:48 AM
Disintegrate is also a 'Long' range spell. Redcloak could easily be sniping Roy at about 1000 feet or so. The only person who has even a hope of attacking back is Haley.

Then again, Redcloak isn't a sorcerer, he has only so many Disintegrates.
It's a wonderful maneuver and targeted at the enemy leader, but Roy is still the most likely to survive it.

In an ordinary setting, the Order could duck amongst the dunes, lose line of sight, and make an escape, but I think we all know that's not going to happen. Not with Tarquin, Nale, and everyone else on the field. :)

Knight.Anon
2013-07-14, 11:49 AM
What is the MitD's umbrella made of? Banged up but no holes.

Pelvis? Where we're going we won't need pelvises!

Hopeless
2013-07-14, 11:50 AM

What if V cast Disintregrate right back at Redcloak or better yet drop a Wall of Stone atop of them from where he is at the bottom of that hole?:smallwink:

Anyone care to suggest a few evocation spells that might help?:smallamused:

Nohar
2013-07-14, 11:50 AM
The order surviving by hiding in the sarcophagus? Pretty much everyone called it.

The roaches surviving by enacting the infamous scene of the refregirator from Indiana Jones (with one of them disguised as him)? Hilarious :D

DeadMG
2013-07-14, 11:51 AM
Obviously, the Order is going to survive the attentions of Xykon and Redcloak by fleeing through the Rift.

Traab
2013-07-14, 11:53 AM

V and Redcloak could compare notes on the use of their mutual favorite attack spell....

Has Disintegrate ever actually worked on first casting on any high level target (except for Kubota)?

Could Redcloak's next shot miss Roy and get Belkar?

If the battle is looking bad for the Order (read Elan)'s survival, Tarquin, if he is nearby, may be motivated to intervene to save them (Elan).

From the looks of it, V's body could still be in the chamber directly under the rift. Is it possible that said chamber could actually have survived the krakakoom intact?

You know, there are good odds redcloak cast a heal spell on himself before the order of the stick showed up. If elan had time to do it, so did captain eyepatch. He may have been horribly messed up and repaired his own damage first. Another side note, how much you want to bet he has both eyes and is wearing the patch to fool bone boy?

TRH
2013-07-14, 11:55 AM
What if V cast Disintregrate right back at Redcloak or better yet drop a Wall of Stone atop of them from where he is at the bottom of that hole?:smallwink:

That would require Vaarsuvius to get up here, which seems less likely than ever, what with the Order getting to figure out there's more to the rifts than they thought without her. If she doesn't get to spill any of her secrets in person, she may as well not be around.

Oh, and I'm totally jumping onto the "Indiana Roach is awesome" bandwagon. :smallbiggrin:

rafaruggi
2013-07-14, 11:55 AM
If Roy makes his fort save, he only takes 5d6 damage, and is in pretty good shape to run.

Also, I guess everyone here thinks there's a pretty small chance of Roy dying with that spell, but in my opinion there's some evidence that says he's still alive: Redcloak seems to have identified the target of his spell AFTER he casted it. If Roy were already a pile of rubble, I don't think he would be capable of doing that :P

Knight.Anon
2013-07-14, 11:58 AM
:smallcool: Its time for a guild!
:smallsmile: What kind of guild?
:smallcool: A linear guild!
:smallsmile: Why bring a guild when you can bring an army?

:smallfrown: I bet Belkar eats snarl. He would be beyond dead as far as the OotS world is concerned. No coming back from that, its a one way ticket to... someplace.

Amphiox
2013-07-14, 11:58 AM

I suspect that V's soul-time is not yet up. The Elf won't be casting anything for several more minutes yet....

PhallicWarrior
2013-07-14, 11:59 AM
Holy fudgeballs things are about to get heavy.

TRH
Redcloak seems to have identified the target of his spell AFTER he casted it. If Roy were already a pile of rubble, I don't think he would be capable of doing that :P

Seems like a shaky assumption to me. So what, did Redcloak just fire off a 7th level spell first and then identify his target? Xykon has enough spells to get away with something like that, but I'd assume Redcloak would be a bit more conservative.

stsasser
I would addictively follow a Red Roaches webcomic.

Amphiox
2013-07-14, 12:02 PM
A monumental stone coffin is very different from a refrigerator, which is essentially a very thin sheet of cheap steel folded into a box.

With the cover on, the coffin would have protected them completely from the overpressure of the explosion, which is what causes a lot of soft tissue damage, especially to the eyes and brain. The weight of the coffin would have absorbed a lot of the impact of the lifting forces, reducing the distance the coffin rose into the sky, and ultimately how much damage they took from the rise and from the ultimate landing.

There was an episode of Mythbusters that more or less tested a similar scenario (several variants over several episodes, actually, such as bathtub, brick wall, garbage container), and it works.

The fall damage from the landing would be something the coffin would not protect them from at all (the forces should just transmit through), but presumably this coffin fell from a lower height than Roy did from the undead dragon in Azure City. Even con-drained Belkar survived, after all.

Or perhaps Belkar was actually protected a bit by the soft and squishy parts of his own teammates. As the smallest member, he may have ended up in the middle in between everyone.

Knight.Anon
2013-07-14, 12:04 PM
V won't be in this fight. Still in the penalty box.

Lord Raziere
2013-07-14, 12:06 PM
pardon me, but I think there is only one way this could all go down.

call it illogical, call it stupid, call it whatever, they are going to jump into that rift. there is no way they are going to beat RC and Xykon at their current strength, especially when the MitD is around to also join the fray when they give their say-so.

duck behind the dunes, hide in the desert? yeah right. see magical floating Xykon there? he has flight dude. they try to run, he is going to just flying over and rain destruction down upon them.

intervention of the Linear Guild? yeah, to take advantage of the opportunity to kill the remains of the OOTS. because right now the Linear Guild consists of Nale and the three spellcasters under his command. Xykon is a guy he has worked with. Elan is a guy he hates. which side do you think Nale is going to pick? hint: not the good guys.

Tarquin? maybe intervene, if he even gets there in time. to die. why? because Tarquin attacking Team Evil will probably go sort of like this:
*charges*
*RC zaps a disintegrate*
*dead, without even parting words*
because its the most undramatic, boring way he could possibly die, a fitting ironic end for him.

so Nale can't actually join the fray because it will make their defeat go from "assured" to "already dead". Tarquin can join, but he will quickly die, and there is no way to avoid two epic spellcasters and their little monster too who you just angered by destroying their gate. especially when both your casters are gone.

they are going into that rift. there is no other way for this to resolve.

luc258
2013-07-14, 12:09 PM

You got a point there, but quite frankly, what would stop Xykon and Redcloak to fly after them? They have the flight spell, they would be just as mobile over the ocean as they are in the desert, while the OOTS would be more immobile. Unless of course Team Evil does not follow them.

Knight.Anon
2013-07-14, 12:09 PM
Tarquin isn't going to stand there and let some goblin punk his son. He also is epic or on the edge of epic and he loves the fight. RC can't touch that.

Sylthia
2013-07-14, 12:10 PM
Hope Roy doesn't get killed again, then we'll have the next book being "Don't Split the Party, Again!"

David Argall
2013-07-14, 12:11 PM
The X00 fans can now be quiet for about 90 straps. [It would be expecting too much to insist they admit this strip doesn't do that gimmick.]

Redcloak's comment is technically dubious since he should have no idea that Roy is even alive. That he can even recognize Roy is a bit of a stretch. But of course, plot consistency was not a high concern of the comment.

But now what? It looks very much like the party flees into the rift, but Team evil has no reason to follow, and unless X is more battered than he should be, there should only be a day's delay before they are off to the final gate, and should be there quite soon. [Which will be good for the Belkar fans since that will finish the whole story before he has to breath his last.] But we have a whole world to play with here, and it deserves more than a quickie visit before the party arrives at the North Gate.

Mutant Sheep
2013-07-14, 12:15 PM
You seem to think Malack lost his will, as I think he'd kill Nale before helping him when the 'objective' he was going for just went kablooie. Also, Tarquin would probably make that save, he's too Sueish to not have good saves and Save-or-die protection. Also also, Xykon and Redcloak are hurt bad, Mitd kinda likes Belkar and Haley (enough to talk at them for a bit while eating their faces) and maybe three arrows from Haley could send Redcloak into incapacitated-land. It could definitely go the Orders way if Redcloak rolls badly or Malack shows up. (They probably are going through the Rift, and hurt Team Evil needs to spend rounds healing.)

JackRackham
2013-07-14, 12:16 PM
Is Belkar turning into an anti-hero!?!? Love the lampshade of the Indiana Jones reference.

hamishspence
2013-07-14, 12:20 PM
The X00 fans can now be quiet for about 90 straps. [It would be expecting too much to insist they admit this strip doesn't do that gimmick.]

It varies. Sometimes the characters lampshade it not being special (100, 600) sometimes it's implied to be the start of something major (200, 300).

Paisley
2013-07-14, 12:20 PM
Redcloak's comment is technically dubious since he should have no idea that Roy is even alive. That he can even recognize Roy is a bit of a stretch. But of course, plot consistency was not a high concern of the comment.

Well, in a world where "revolving door afterlife" is in no way a metaphor, I'm thinking it isn't such a big assumption to make that Roy would have been resurrected by now. Although I agree that I am a bit surprised Redcloak remembers Roy at all.

And dang, that's one hardcore umbrella.

Lord Raziere
2013-07-14, 12:23 PM
You got a point there, but quite frankly, what would stop Xykon and Redcloak to fly after them? They have the flight spell, they would be just as mobile over the ocean as they are in the desert, while the OOTS would be more immobile. Unless of course Team Evil does not follow them.

there is absolutely zero reasons for them to follow them into the Rift. especially if their viewpoint doesn't give them a sight of the ocean and they are too far away to hear what they are saying:

:xykon: Kill the- wait, did they all just jump into the Rift?
:redcloak: wow. they must've been stupider than I thought. oh well no reason to follow them, they just got unmade. Kraagor's Gate is on this side, where the Snarl isn't, and now that the heroes are unmade we can enact our plans for world domination unheeded.

and even if they knew….Kraagors gate is on THIS side. it doesn't matter what their knowledge of the situation is, Team Evil is going to view the OOTS jumping into the rift as removing themselves from the conflict no matter how you slice it. they might even let the OOTS do it.

Mutant Sheep
2013-07-14, 12:24 PM
there is absolutely zero reasons for them to follow them into the Rift. especially if their viewpoint doesn't give them a sight of the ocean and they are too far away to hear what they are saying:

:xykon: Kill the- wait, did they all just jump into the Rift?
:redcloak: wow. they must've been stupider than I thought. oh well no reason to follow them, they just got unmade. Kraagor's Gate is on this side, where the Snarl isn't, and now that the heroes are unmade we can enact our plans for world domination unheeded.

and even if they knew….Kraagors gate is on THIS side. it doesn't matter what their knowledge of the situation is, Team Evil is going to view the OOTS jumping into the rift as removing themselves from the conflict no matter how you slice it. they might even let the OOTS do it.So you think they won't even LOOK at the rift? The order could just be hiding on the other side of it!:smalltongue: (As in, behind the rift.). I doubt Redcloak is THAT stupid.

gerryq
2013-07-14, 12:25 PM

I thought it meant Xycon's pelvis is in two pieces, that probably flew in opposite directions.

zimmerwald1915
2013-07-14, 12:26 PM

V couldn't cast wall of stone even if she was available. It's a conjuration spell.

As for helpful evocation spells, grasping hand or forcecage on Redcloak might be handy, especially since Redcloak's just burnt a disintegrate spell. Not that it will happen, of course, since, again, V's not available.

That would require Vaarsuvius to get up here, which seems less likely than ever, what with the Order getting to figure out there's more to the rifts than they thought without her. If she doesn't get to spill any of her secrets in person, she may as well not be around.
Must...resist...urge...to...laugh...maniacally...

Interesting that this Rift leads to the surface of the planet. I can't quite tell: should the Order jump through, would it dump them in the middle of the ocean or is there a bit of shoreline hidden by the bottom lip of the Rift?

Anarion
2013-07-14, 12:28 PM
I wonder if this is a leadup to actually entering the rift. It's on ground level, there's an ocean, and there's a bunch of big bads and a party in no position to actually be fighting them.

Other stuff has already been covered, but as always the demon roaches deliver the grade A comedy.

ChristianSt

I think it is fine. Redcloak has seen Roy at/near the last two gates. So he should assume he could potentially play a bigger role in this. (And unlike Xykon, Redcloak likes planning/getting information - I wouldn't be surprised too much if we should learn he has figured out a bit more stuff about the Order.)

And being dead isn't something he should pay attention to. Since Redloak easily resurrects people he needs (like Jirix), it would be pretty dumb to assume that Roy couldn't get resurrected.

Toper
Nice comic. Among other things, I like Redcloak's smoking Disintegrate finger at the end.

Porthos
2013-07-14, 12:29 PM
To whomever first called the Nuking the Fridge option, I give a plate of cookies as a reward for your insight. :smallcool:

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a35/BuckGodot/cookies.jpg~original

===

I've seen some people give concern about being in the middle of the ocean if the OotS try to jump in the Rift.

Well, sure. But at the same time there has just been a hella big expolsion. Gotta be some sort of junk lying around that they can use as a floatation device.

Worst comes to worst, they throw some things ahead of them and climb aborad it when they jump through the Rift.

Ideal situation? Well, it is perhaps more ideal that getting more than their recommended daily doses of Implosion. :smalltongue:

RabidEel
2013-07-14, 12:30 PM
At least Xykon's only at half-strength for this fight.

*rim shot*

MaximKat
2013-07-14, 12:32 PM
I think this is the part where the devils would want V back in play to even the odds.

gerryq
2013-07-14, 12:35 PM
I think they will be forced to jump in the Rift, probably with Varsuvius who will likely show up almost immediately. Can V give them flying or water-walking or something? Even if not, when they go in the Rift and turn around, there might be land in close range.

ooOoo
2013-07-14, 12:35 PM
Is V's body possibly right below the rift? Seems like the ground around the rift might be the floor of the pyramid where the gate was (due to its color), implying the explosion was mostly outwards and upwards, not downwards...?

luc258
2013-07-14, 12:36 PM

Judging from what Redcloak said in this strip he seems pretty upset about the OOTS. He might decide that the 10 minute detour to wipe them out might be worth the trouble.

Fitzclowningham
2013-07-14, 12:39 PM
Just wanted to point out that RC only gets one Disintegrate per day, because it's a domain spell.

M.A.D
2013-07-14, 12:39 PM
Is that a portable mini-fridge for cans of cokes that the roaches have just crawled out from? Genius!! :smallbiggrin:

And kudos to whomever said that the order is hiding in Girard's tomb in the previous thread :smallwink:

So now the Order is out-fired, out-matched, and out of options, again. Even Expeditious Retreat isn't much of an option as long as all of them are within range of a Disintegrate followed by a flying angry half-lich... erm... a half-angry.... a lich-half.... you know what I mean! Anyway, what they can rely on is whatever preparations Tarquin had prepared before entering the pyramid, which might be in the form of an army waiting close by, waiting to run in and secure the area.

ellindsey
2013-07-14, 12:40 PM
Is V's body possibly right below the rift? Seems like the ground around the rift might be the floor of the pyramid where the gate was (due to its color), implying the explosion was mostly outwards and upwards, not downwards...?

The room that V was in was beneath the room with the Gate, and the ground under the Rift is still intact, so the room is probably still intact. Can't say if the IFCC were protecting the entire room somehow (so V wouldn't be buried in rubble) or if the Gate explosion merely only went upwards and sideways but not downwards.

zimmerwald1915
2013-07-14, 12:41 PM
Just wanted to point out that RC only gets one Disintegrate per day, because it's a domain spell.
Not quite. He gets as many as three disintegrates per day, because he can prepare it in his level 8 and level 9 domain slots as well as his level 7 slot. Why he'd prefer disintegrate to earthquake or implosion in those slots is anyone's guess (both are standard Cleric spells that he wouldn't need to prepare in domain slots), but it is a choice that is available to him.

stsasser
2013-07-14, 12:41 PM
'Hole in the Middle' of what?...desert?...Rift?...Snarl?...ocean?...plot?

Chessgeek
2013-07-14, 12:42 PM
Ohoho that was brilliant! Everything was brilliant! Right down to the roaches climbing out of a fridge. But hey, at least Redcloak remembers his name!

Anyway, I believe perhaps that the Order is, in fact, completely screwed. Into the rift they shall go, meet up with Vaarsuvius/ V's body which ended up in the rift after the explosion. And then drown. Or be fortunate enough to have land randomly right behind the rift.

Anyone see the LG? Or, for that matter Mr. Scruffy? He's there in the fifth panel. Crisis averted.

Jaffo
2013-07-14, 12:43 PM
Oh yeah, Giant's been waiting to do this one.

It was already great, then he put an Indy hat on the roach.

Win.

And probably the end of a book.

Fitzclowningham
2013-07-14, 12:45 PM
Not quite. He gets as many as three disintegrates per day, because he can prepare it in his level 8 and level 9 domain slots as well as his level 7 slot. Why he'd prefer disintegrate to earthquake or implosion in those slots is anyone's guess (both are standard Cleric spells that he wouldn't need to prepare in domain slots), but it is a choice that is available to him.

Very good point. I stand corrected.

Porthos
2013-07-14, 12:46 PM
And then drown. Or be fortunate enough to have land randomly right behind the rift.

You White Texted it, but it does look like there might be a tiny sliver of land in the lower right hand corner of the Rift.

A beach, perhaps?

hamishspence
2013-07-14, 12:46 PM
Win.

Book ends usually have a splash page, or a black bit saying the Order will return, or characters specifically mentioning it, or several of the above:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0120.html
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0300.html
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0484.html
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0672.html

thereaper
2013-07-14, 12:47 PM
You know, I had a feeling they would hide in Girard's crypt.

Love the Indy fridge reference.

It looks like the plot will be moving in the direction of exploring the nature of the rifts now. I wasn't really expecting them to do that until Kraggor's Gate.

Deepbluediver
2013-07-14, 12:48 PM
Well, sure. But at the same time there has just been a hella big expolsion. Gotta be some sort of junk lying around that they can use as a floatation device.

Worst comes to worst, they throw some things ahead of them and climb aborad it when they jump through the Rift.

Like what, exactly? They are in the middle of a desert; the only things around are stone and sand and neither material is known for it's buoyant properties.

And if they have enough time to stop, find some floatable materials, toss them through the rift, and then jump through afterwards; there is time to come up with a different plan. Jumping through the rift would be a desperation tactic.

Tragak
2013-07-14, 12:48 PM
The X00 fans can now be quiet for about 90 straps. But the X000 fans are just getting warmed up :smallbiggrin:

The Dark Fiddler
2013-07-14, 12:49 PM

3.5; unfortunately for your theory, that's the edition they're already in (and Rich has previously said he doesn't plan on updating the rules they're using again).

luc258
2013-07-14, 12:49 PM
I think the Team Evil, Linear Guild, OOTS-remains grand finale is yet to come.

Lord Raziere
2013-07-14, 12:50 PM
Judging from what Redcloak said in this strip he seems pretty upset about the OOTS. He might decide that the 10 minute detour to wipe them out might be worth the trouble.

IF….and this is a pretty big IF…..the rift is actually two way.

who knows? the rift might only be a one way deal, sure no one knows whether that is actually true, but leaving them out in an ocean with no way to land isn't your usual slow death-trap villain deal. its slow death by dehydration or starvation, or even drowning.

So you think they won't even LOOK at the rift? The order could just be hiding on the other side of it! (As in, behind the rift.). I doubt Redcloak is THAT stupid.

I'm assuming the rift is paper thin on the side, and that RC is looking at it from a completely- or almost completely- sideways angle. if they jump in, and don't come out the other side, it would be safe to assume they got unmade.

besides, what would happen to the plot if Xykon found an ocean where a Snarl should be hmmm?

Gift Jeraff
2013-07-14, 12:52 PM
'Hole in the Middle' of what?...desert?...Rift?...Snarl?...ocean?...plot?

In the middle of the crater formerly known as Girard's Pyramid.

Knight.Anon
Its interesting that Belkar and the roaches made the same move.

luc258
besides, what would happen to the plot if Xykon found an ocean where a Snarl should be hmmm?
He should at least have seen what Blackwing saw in Azure City. He was at the same position and it would be strange if he hadn't at least taken a look at the portal off-screen during his several months break.

Porthos
2013-07-14, 12:55 PM
Like what, exactly? They are in the middle of a desert; the only things around are stone and sand and neither material is known for it's buoyant properties.

There could have been something from inside the pyramid and it conveniently landed close to them.

All I iz saying that going through the Rift doesn't need to be an Insta Drown situation. If, as I just said, there isn't land there after all.

Newwby
2013-07-14, 12:56 PM
Well, in a world where "revolving door afterlife" is in no way a metaphor, I'm thinking it isn't such a big assumption to make that Roy would have been resurrected by now. Although I agree that I am a bit surprised Redcloak remembers Roy at all.

And dang, that's one hardcore umbrella.

It is a bit odd that Redcloak recognises Roy isn't it? Perhaps there's something plot-worthy to that?

SoD Spoilers
Maybe Right-Eye once mentioned his attempt to recruit Eugene and Redcloak remembers the surname?

Maybe Redcloak feels some kind of kinship because of the similarity in naming, i.e. Red Cloak, Green Hilt?

Maybe something more intricate such as the Dark One has made Redcloak aware that Roy is important?

Pelvis? Where we're going we won't need pelvises!

Can I sig this? :smallbiggrin:

Deepbluediver
2013-07-14, 12:56 PM
But the X000 fans are just getting warmed up :smallbiggrin:

The story will undoubtedly end with strip 1000, exactly. It's the only logical conclusion. Plus, my OCD demands it. :smalltongue:
If it doesn't, I'll be very upset and stop reading until I start reading again.

Porthos
2013-07-14, 12:57 PM
He should at least have seen what Blackwing saw in Azure City. He was at the same position and it would be strange if he hadn't at least taken a look at the portal off-screen during his several months break.

He's given no indication that he saw anything. Like, say, blasting Redcloak for lying to him this whole time.

The simpler explanation is that he never looked in the Rift.

hamishspence
2013-07-14, 01:01 PM
It is a bit odd that Redcloak recognises Roy isn't it? Perhaps there's something plot-worthy to that?

He and Xykon had been watching Roy and the other Order members for most of book 1, working their way down toward Xykon's throne room.

Add in Roy's hurling Xykon into the runes protecting the gate- which destroyed his body, and I could see him being cemented firmly in Redcloak's memory.

We also see Redcloak watching Roy & Xykon battling in the skies, through his telescope.

Tragak
2013-07-14, 01:01 PM
It is a bit odd that Redcloak recognises Roy isn't it? Perhaps there's something plot-worthy to that? Maybe he was just paying attention (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0110.html) to the only guy to actually kill Xykon (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0114.html) is a very long time?

EDIT: ninja'd

luc258
2013-07-14, 01:02 PM
He's given no indication that he saw anything. Like, say, blasting Redcloak for lying to him this whole time.

The simpler explanation is that he never looked in the Rift.
I think Xykon already suspects Redcloak might have ulterior motives, that is why he made Tsukiko research the ritual.
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0829.html
He is just not sure enough to act on it yet.

Porthos
2013-07-14, 01:03 PM

Why would it be? They watched the Order on TV in their crystal ball as they traipsed through Dorukan's Dungeon. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0047.html) They even set out a banner and food spread for them. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0104.html) :smallbiggrin:

And he saw Roy fighting Xykon at Azure City (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0431.html). Plus he had plenty of time to interrogate O-Chul and others about who was defending the city.

Why wouldn't he know who Roy Greenhilt is?

137beth
2013-07-14, 01:04 PM
Dunn Dunn Dunn....

Belkar is getting the hang of this "planning" thing, finally:smalltongue:

Lombard
2013-07-14, 01:04 PM
You White Texted it, but it does look like there might be a tiny sliver of land in the lower right hand corner of the Rift.

A beach, perhaps?

Good call I didn't notice that at first!

At any rate, I'm wondering about a change in consequences here. Which is to say that, even if Xykon does pop up to Kraagor's gate and secure it, where is his benefit? He's as misconstrued as everyone else in this scenario. Seems unlikely that he'll be using any Snarl power to get anything at this point. For that matter Redcloak's sub-scheme of blackmailing the gods and/or 'unleashing the Snarl on the world' doesn't seem likely to actually be able to bear fruit either.

In summary, it appears to have struck midnight and the MacGuffin has turned back into a MacPumpkin....

Porthos
2013-07-14, 01:07 PM
I think Xykon already suspects Redcloak might have ulterior motives, that is why he made Tsukiko research the ritual.
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0829.html
He is just not sure enough to act on it yet.

Yes, but he still thinks The Snarl exists. So does Redcloak for that matter.

Do people here think Redcloak would be acting exactly the way he has been if he knew there was a giant stinkin' planet on the other side of the Rifts?

'sides, from Rule of Plot, I think it would be pretty poor form for the baddies to go, "Oh, that planet on the other side of the Rifts? Yeah, we've known about it forever. What, you didn't?"

Kinda poor form not to show their reaction when they find out that everything they've been after for 30+ years might be going up in smoke. :smalltongue:

Blas_de_Lezo
2013-07-14, 01:13 PM
The Linear Guild should have heard the explosion... something bigger is coming :smalleek:

Deepbluediver
2013-07-14, 01:13 PM
Good call I didn't notice that at first!

I'm not seeing it. All I think the different colorations indicate is the light coming through/off the rift. Maybe you could take a screenshot and mark it somehow to indicate what you are looking at, though?

ratfox
2013-07-14, 01:14 PM
Great comic! I especially loved the reference to the new Indiana Jones movie with the roaches :P

New? My son is five years old, and he was born after the movie came out...
(Taking levels in craft/making people feel old) :smallbiggrin:

hamishspence
2013-07-14, 01:16 PM
Maybe you could take a screenshot and mark it somehow to indicate what you are looking at, though?

It's the bit between Haley's "I don't understand" and Elan's "Maybe the Snarl is aquatic?".

JackRackham
2013-07-14, 01:19 PM
Minor detail, but I think there was discussion earlier about positioning, and certainly people were wondering where the LG is. If you look closely at the ground TE and the OoTS are standing on, you can see that the order is near the center of the crater, next to the rift. TE is just outside the crater itself. The question then is, "how big is the crater?" Who knows? It looks like 100-150ft if I had to make a seat-of-my-pants guess, but I'm no good at guessing distances.

Also, note that we don't see TE in the wide-shot and that it looks like they're on the right side of the crater when they're shown later on (unless there is a similar-looking plateau on both sides of the desert). So, the LG could probably be there, somewhere without us having seen them.

Kornaki
2013-07-14, 01:20 PM
Which explanation is simpler? Xykon, as he watched his precious phylactery and most treasured item fall inches past the rift never got a chance to look into it, or even bothered to take a peek into the rift and ensure the snarl wasn't reaching out to unmake him; or that he simply didn't care about what he saw?

Vemynal
2013-07-14, 01:22 PM
Ha! I finally get it!

Girard's gate was destroyed by someone else's paranoia :smallbiggrin:

F.Harr
2013-07-14, 01:24 PM
WOW!

Belkar really came through, there.

Go Belkster! Except when you're being all, you know, evil and stuff.

I love the teeny-tiny little refrigerator.

"Which explanation is simpler? Xykon, as he watched his precious phylactery and most treasured item fall inches past the rift never got a chance to look into it, or even bothered to take a peek into the rift and ensure the snarl wasn't reaching out to unmake him; or that he simply didn't care about what he saw?"

That he was distracted by having a face full of exploding rune and then by having his mechanism for immortality fall into a sewer.

Porthos
2013-07-14, 01:25 PM
I'm not seeing it. All I think the different colorations indicate is the light coming through/off the rift. Maybe you could take a screenshot and mark it somehow to indicate what you are looking at, though?

It's the bit between Haley's "I don't understand" and Elan's "Maybe the Snarl is aquatic?".
Yes, that.

I thought it might be light, but there is nothing similar anywhere else around the edges of the Rift.

Furthermore, the water gets a deeper shade of color as it receeds into the distance, which is another possible clue that it is at a shoreline.

Deepbluediver
2013-07-14, 01:27 PM
Which explanation is simpler? Xykon, as he watched his precious phylactery and most treasured item fall inches past the rift never got a chance to look into it, or even bothered to take a peek into the rift and ensure the snarl wasn't reaching out to unmake him; or that he simply didn't care about what he saw?

If he's paying attention to the phylactery, then he's not really looking at the rift, right?
It's called Tunnel Vision, and it happens to people in high-stress situations all the time.

...the white part? That's the same shade as the white/pale purple on the upright portions of the triangular opening.

Honestly, I think your mind is seeing things here none exist. If The Giant wanted there to be a beach, then he could have very easily drawn one so it was plainly visible. I don't think the comic is in the habit of hiding forshadowing in places so small they can be counted in pixels.

hamishspence
2013-07-14, 01:30 PM
...the white part? That's the same shade as the white/pale purple on the upright portions of the triangular opening

Looks different to me- more grey, less purple.

Porthos
2013-07-14, 01:32 PM
...the white part? That's the same shade as the white/pale purple on the upright portions of the triangular opening.

Honestly, I think your mind is seeing things here none exist. If The Giant wanted there to be a beach, then he could have very easily drawn one so it was plainly visible. I don't think the comic is in the habit of hiding forshadowing in places so small they can be counted in pixels.

It's more than pixels, IMO. And it doesn't look like the same shade to me. But I also admit that I might be wrong, as I said it was a possibility. :smallsmile:

But, as I said, look at the color of the water as it receeds. Hell, look at the size of the waves.

It's not unreasonable to think that it might be land.

Perseus
2013-07-14, 01:36 PM
Redcloak is extremely lucky Xykon survived that explosion, otherwise his deceit with the phylactery would've been exposed.

which explains why Redcloak is so pissed. I think normally he would keep his cool and wait to attack...

Deepbluediver
2013-07-14, 01:37 PM
Looks different to me- more grey, less purple.

It's more than pixels, IMO. And it doesn't look like the same shade to me. But I also admit that I might be wrong, as I said it was a possibility. :smallsmile:

But, as I said, look at the color of the water as it receeds. Hell, look at the size of the waves.

It's not unreasonable to think that it might be land.

Anything's possible, I guess, but to me the whole image is just to give some sense of depth, and the white part is just some weird part of the light or trans-dimensional mist.
Like I said, if The Giant wanted us to see a beach, he could very easily have done so in a way that wasn't as obscure.

Tock Zipporah
2013-07-14, 01:40 PM
Why would it be? They watched the Order on TV in their crystal ball as they traipsed through Dorukan's Dungeon. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0047.html) They even set out a banner and food spread for them. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0104.html) :smallbiggrin:

And he saw Roy fighting Xykon at Azure City (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0431.html). Plus he had plenty of time to interrogate O-Chul and others about who was defending the city.

Why wouldn't he know who Roy Greenhilt is?

He even knew Greenhilt and the Order of the Stick by name: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0426.html here. So yeah, he totally does know him.

Kornaki
2013-07-14, 01:43 PM
Like I said, if The Giant wanted us to see a beach, he could very easily have done so in a way that wasn't as obscure.

And if he wanted us to spend the next week arguing about whether there was a beach there, he did a pretty good job didn't he

Porthos
2013-07-14, 01:47 PM
Anything's possible, I guess, but to me the whole image is just to give some sense of depth, and the white part is just some weird part of the light or trans-dimensional mist.

And if he wanted us to spend the next week arguing about whether there was a beach there, he did a pretty good job didn't he
This. :smallsmile:

Though I would say 'speculate', myself. :smallwink:

luc258
2013-07-14, 01:48 PM

From a story point of view starting the next book with the order exploring the other world and finding out what really is going on, including why the IFCC wants the gates destroyed and the real motives of the Dark One, would make sense. This kind of story arc would require some land, so the OOTS can flee there. So maybe it is a little beach.

Ravens_cry
2013-07-14, 01:49 PM
I am sure it's been noticed, but the roaches walking out of the little fridge, one with a little Indy hat and whip is a nice touch.

Deepbluediver
2013-07-14, 01:53 PM
He even knew Greenhilt and the Order of the Stick by name: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0426.html here. So yeah, he totally does know him.

I think some people haven't picked up on the fact that Redcloak is supposed to be Xykon's foil/straight-man. He's serious, attentive and observant, whereas Xykon has the memory of a goldfish and attention span of hyperactive monkey.

Although, Xykon has show himself to be smarter and more aware of things than he lets on. It wouldn't surprise me if he knows who Roy is, and has just been playing around this whole time because it amuses him (and pisses Roy off).

And if he wanted us to spend the next week arguing about whether there was a beach there, he did a pretty good job didn't he.

I guess, but I've never gotten the impression that's the kind of thing he does. "Speculate" was a good choice of words, but I don't think Rich really enjoys reading the forum debates that pretty much just amount to-

Player 1: Yes it is!
Player 2: No it isn't!
Player 3: Yes it isn't!
Player 2: No it....wait what?

:smalltongue:

ratfox
2013-07-14, 01:54 PM
Actually, the giant is just letting you guys give him ideas :smallbiggrin:
One week ago, he was all "ah yes, Girard's tomb, that would be a great joke!" And this week, he's going to be "aw yeah, jumping into the rift, that's so much better than what I had in mind! And ending the book while they are falling towards the ocean, great move!"

He also loves the thread on the MITD. :smalltongue:

Haldir
2013-07-14, 01:54 PM
This is the perfect set up for LG + OOTS vrs Team Evil, which is what I have kinda been expecting all along. Xykon is almost certainly the greater threat to Tarquins plan than the OOTS, so these "longstanding protocols" and affection for Elan should provide ample incentive for a short term alliance.

Honestly, without a divine spellcaster, I don't really see how OOTS can do anything against Team Evil. They -need- Malack as potentially the only Cleric in the OOTS-verse who can go toe to toe with Redcloak. A spare arcane spellcaster, dominated divine caster and uber-level fighter just sweetens the deal. Altogether they might actually have the power to defeat Xykon once and for all.

gorocz
2013-07-14, 01:55 PM

Let's not forget that under D&D rules (let's assume that for now), swimming in heavy armor isn't unthinkable. It does give you like -14 to your Swim roll but Swim is fighter class skill, so Roy could have some points in it and it's on STR modifier, so it's not outside the realm of possibility that Roy's swim is >0 (+7 from STR, 7 ranks) even in heavy armor. The ocean looks calm (DC 10) so in half the cases, he'd make the swim check. In a quarter, he'd fail (and stay on place) and in the final quarter, he'd go underwater but he'd have plenty of time (considering his CON score) to resurface. He WOULD get 1-6 points of damage from fatigue every hour, but if there's an island somewhere relatively close (a few miles radius, considering you don't see that far from sea level (horizon is a mile or two far at sea level), they can rest up there...

Of course the math would be much more favourable if he'd just unequip the armour.

Of course if the other side of the rift doesn't operate under the D&D rules, they'd be in for one unpleasant surprise... (no matter how buffed you are, swimming in a full plate can't be good for you).

Of course that's assuming you can go through a rift like that.

Of course that's all assuming Roy isn't dead.

Porthos
2013-07-14, 01:58 PM
but I don't think Rich really enjoys reading the forum debates that pretty much just amount to-

Player 3: Yes it isn't!
Player 2: No it....wait what?

:smalltongue:

If this debate devolved into another 'Is that really Xykon or is it an illusion' style debate, I'm gonna be REALLY sorry for bringing the idea that might be land up. :smalltongue: :smalltongue: :smalltongue:

HandofShadows
2013-07-14, 01:58 PM
Belkar had a class A idea there. And he even got it that Snarl may not be real right off the bat. Did he pick up a few wisdom points when we were not looking? Like the cockroach with a Indiana Jones style hat and wip. :smallbiggrin:

Harbinger
2013-07-14, 01:59 PM
I don't understand why people are so surprised that Redcloak remembers Roy. I mean, Roy killed Xykon and destroyed Dorukan's gate. He was also a somewhat major part of the Battle of Azure City. So I'm fairly certain Redcloak knows who he is enough to be mildly annoyed by his appearance.

ellindsey
2013-07-14, 02:00 PM
The Class and Level (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=282328) thread seem to think that Roy only wears Medium armor. Pretty sure that none of the other three (Belkar, Haley, or Elan) are wearing Heavy armor.

Deepbluediver
2013-07-14, 02:05 PM
If this debate devolved into another 'Is that really Xykon or is it an illusion' style debate, I'm gonna be REALLY sorry for bringing the idea that might be land up. :smalltongue: :smalltongue: :smalltongue:

Quick! Change the topic!

Uhm...err....uh....

I've got it!

There's no way they could have survived the explosion; clearly they are all dead and this is actually just part of limbo.
It just looks like a desert because that's what the part of the of cloudy-area around the mountain looks like when you die on the Southern continent. And the rift isn't really there; its just a projection shaped by everyone's thoughts. (as per Horace's "everything around here is shaped by belief" comment) That explains why what we're seeing doesn't make sense!
Any minute now some Devas are going to show up for everyone's final judgement.
Bam, Belkar-prophecy fulfilled, everything completely explained without any problems or plot holes, etc etc etc.

:smallbiggrin:

LadyEowyn
2013-07-14, 02:06 PM
Given that Rich has outright said that battles in OotS aren't determined by rules mechanics (and he probably doesn't even have stats descriptions for the different characters):

How is any of this remotely relevant?

Thrillhouse
2013-07-14, 02:14 PM
Hmm. Could the LG have already left? I could see this whole thing being part of Tarquin's master plan. Perhaps related to whatever it was Tarquin did before leaving the city.

gorocz
2013-07-14, 02:25 PM
Given that Rich has outright said that battles in OotS aren't determined by rules mechanics (and he probably doesn't even have stats descriptions for the different characters):

How is any of this remotely relevant?

Not sure who you're replying to, but since I'm the last person to have posted something rule-based, I'll reply:

I'm certainly not saying Rich would be secretly rolling a dice a turn for a couple of hours to see if the Order can get to an island that is placed somewhere in the ocean.

I'm not saying that for the characters' exact stats, they could swim comfortably.

I'm just trying to show that under D&D rules, a decent fighter can swim well even when in a heavy armor. Which is exactly one of the funny differences between the real world and D&D world that this comic was started on.

The Class and Level (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=282328) thread seem to think that Roy only wears Medium armor. Pretty sure that none of the other three (Belkar, Haley, or Elan) are wearing Heavy armor.

That's based on strip #5. I wouldn't take that as a relevant info. Nevertheless, if he can swim well in a Half/Full Plate, he'd swim even better in a Breastplate.

luc258
2013-07-14, 02:35 PM
That's based on strip #5. I wouldn't take that as a relevant info. Nevertheless, if he can swim well in a Half/Full Plate, he'd swim even better in a Breastplate.

If it really is the middle of an ocean it would not make a difference if he can swim at all or a coupl eof hours even.

Knight.Anon
2013-07-14, 02:36 PM
Since RedCloak recognized Roy it can only mean that he is he Dark One reborn! Disintegrate is the Gobbatopian salute.

Katuko
2013-07-14, 02:43 PM
You know, there are good odds redcloak cast a heal spell on himself before the order of the stick showed up. If elan had time to do it, so did captain eyepatch. He may have been horribly messed up and repaired his own damage first. Another side note, how much you want to bet he has both eyes and is wearing the patch to fool bone boy?

I don't think he'd risk it. Unlike Raise Dead and other spells with a time limit before the body "expires", Regenerate doesn't have any stated limit on how much time can pass between the loss of a body part and the spell being cast. If Redcloak is going to wear the eye patch anyhow there isn't much point in risking Xykon's wrath by getting his eye back prematurely.

As for the latest attack, it seems to me that the gate explosion went up and outwards from its buried location, with the Order being right on top of the blast wave and Team Evil being caught in a diminished but still very potent wave by standing off to the side.

Redcloak might have assumed the Order had been sufficiently damaged by the blast for him to kill Roy in a surprise attack, so he cast Disintegrate rather than a healing spell. I expect to see him use Heal for himself and Harm for Xykon in the next strip or so; either as a precaution before aiming for Total Party Kill on the Order, or on command from Xykon because he just wants to get out of there ASAP before they waste more time and resources.

Bulldog Psion
2013-07-14, 02:44 PM
Well, I called it. Driven into the Rift by Team Evil. :smallcool:

(Of course, about 2,000 other people called it before me, no doubt, and about 5,000 simultaneously, but still, I can claim a spot of credit here, methinks.)

DaggerPen
2013-07-14, 02:47 PM
So now the Order is out-fired, out-matched, and out of options, again. Even Expeditious Retreat isn't much of an option as long as all of them are within range of a Disintegrate followed by a flying angry half-lich... erm... a half-angry.... a lich-half.... you know what I mean!

A semi-lich, perhaps? :P

Canisius
2013-07-14, 02:51 PM
Man, Rich. Harsh. Can someone be raised after a Disintegrate? Oh wait, lemme read the rest of the thread.

Porthos
2013-07-14, 02:53 PM
Man, Rich. Harsh. Can someone be raised after a Disintegrate? Oh wait, lemme read the rest of the thread.

Need to keep the ashes and then have someone cast Resurrect (or True Resurrect, if they could possibly find someone to cast it :smallwink:).

But Roy's taken tougher spells to the face before. He should be fine. :smallsmile:

Canisius
2013-07-14, 03:01 PM
Need to keep the ashes and then have someone cast Resurrect (or True Resurrect, if they could possibly find someone to cast it :smallwink:).

But Roy's taken tougher spells to the face before. He should be fine. :smallsmile:

Yeah, I started reading the thread and more D&D-savvy peeps have pointed out that folks can endure a Disintegrate. I was just momentarily shocked. Just didn't want to go through a "Roy in Heaven" sub-plot again.

Though I will say that Rich has pretty much reduced the OOTS to a very pitiful state. The weakest members left standing, and he took Belkar's sting out by putting him at 1 CON.

The only thing that could save them would be, dare I say, a Deus ex Machina?

<ducks>

ellindsey
2013-07-14, 03:01 PM

The ashes left over from Disintegrate do count as material remains sufficient for a Resurrection spell. (Unless you cast Gust of Wind (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0595.html) to scatter them into the ocean...).

gorocz
2013-07-14, 03:08 PM
If it really is the middle of an ocean it would not make a difference if he can swim at all or a coupl eof hours even.

Swim for a couple of hours than go back through the rift to the desert... Assuming you can go both ways with it. If not, find an island on which they could rest and then try to figure out something. Everything's better than dying...

Bulldog Psion
2013-07-14, 03:19 PM
Yes, even treading water is superior to being mashed by Team Evil right now.

Coldwind
2013-07-14, 03:22 PM
Well, I thought Belkar could be zapped so he cannot be ressed.

By the way, Team Evil has the higher ground, which is quite bad for Roy and Belkar. I believe Tarquin would help in this situation. Nale can handle himself, if he is still alive.

Gusion
2013-07-14, 03:28 PM
Where is Tarquin?! I want to see Tarquin!

Edhelras
2013-07-14, 03:31 PM

Huh?
Isn't it the opposite way? The cleric HAS to put one of his two domain spells into his single domain slot. But he can, additionally, put his domain spells into his other spell slots of the same level. Or have I misunderstood it all?
I mean - the domain slot is reserved for domain spells only, but domain spells don't have to go into the domain slot only. Or?

Felhammer
2013-07-14, 03:32 PM
I am sensing the end of the book as the Order rushes headlong into the rift... :smallsmile:

zimmerwald1915
2013-07-14, 03:36 PM
Huh?
Isn't it the opposite way? The cleric HAS to put one of his two domain spells into his single domain slot. But he can, additionally, put his domain spells into his other spell slots of the same level. Or have I misunderstood it all?
I mean - the domain slot is reserved for domain spells only, but domain spells don't have to go into the domain slot only. Or?
Domain slots are reserved for domain spells only. Domain spells that do not also appear on the standard Cleric list may only be prepared in domain slots. To illustrate, Redcloak gets the level 9 spell implosion, the level 8 spell earthquake, and the level 7 spell disintegrate from the Destruction domain. Implosion and earthquake appear on the standard Cleric list. Disintegrate does not. As such, Redcloak can prepare implosion in any level 9 spell slot, and he can prepare earthquake in any level 8 or level 9 spell slot. But he can only prepare disintegrate in level 7, level 8, and level 9 domain spell slots.

Nimrod's Son
2013-07-14, 03:42 PM
Even if it did, one usual cleric tactic is to buff themselves up and run into melee, but RC has never show skill at direct combat; I'm not even sure if he's wearing armor.
He is.

Spoiler for one of the jokes in SoD:
When first meeting the MitD, the monster asks why he's called Redcloak, and Recloak replies, "Because I wear black armor".

Arrowstorm122
2013-07-14, 03:43 PM

Please, if it happens, It was planned way ahead to happen. Years probably, if it's as big as it probably is.

Corneel
2013-07-14, 03:47 PM
Speculation: could it be that the world inside the rifts has been slowly (or not so slowly) expanding?
If so, then two possibilities present itself:
- the expansion is independent of the state of the gates and the views through the gates just show us the progression of the expansion.
- the expansion is driven by the state of the gates and the more gates are exploded.

Maybe after the Scribbles sealed the gates the Snarl brooded and in the end chose to transform into a new world that would slowly expand (whether or not depending on the gates' condition) and so explode and/or replace the existing world. After all the Snarl is made of world building material.

elros
2013-07-14, 03:50 PM
I thought Team Evil would take some damage from the explosion, but I did not think the OOTS would get a glimpse through the void.
Can't wait for more revelations!

Gusion
2013-07-14, 03:51 PM
Oh, a really pissed off Red could potentially take out the remaining OOTS. Of course it won't happen, but it could easily enough. If Redcloak remains consistent, the next step will be summoning a few very big elementals.

This is his tried-and-true tactic after all.

But there are several factors that could change his mind on what to do.

Knight.Anon
2013-07-14, 03:52 PM
The Stick is standing in front of a hole in space. All they have to is go around the circle so that the rift is between them and Team Evil. Tarquin is going to show up any minute and its going to go down. The gate exploding is going to bring him and every wandering monster within 25 miles to the sandpit. If there is a Snarl RC popping off disintegrate may get its attention also.

Sandworms anyone?

Arrowstorm122
2013-07-14, 03:53 PM
Oh, a really pissed off Red could potentially take out the remaining OOTS. Of course it won't happen, but it could easily enough. If Redcloak remains consistent, the next step will be summoning a few very big elementals.

This is his tried-and-true tactic after all.

But there are several factors that could change his mind on what to do.

Doubt he will summon everything to take out a few adventurers.

luc258
2013-07-14, 03:55 PM
More speculation about the snarl.

After rereading http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0273.html
it does seem like the snarl was created out of the same as the planet of the oots-universe. So maybe it has turned or was turned into a planet meanwhile, the planet we can see through the gates.

Knight.Anon
2013-07-14, 03:59 PM
More speculation about the snarl.

After rereading http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0273.html
it does seem like the snarl was created out of the same as the planet of the oots-universe. So maybe it has turned or was turned into a planet meanwhile, the planet we can see through the gates.

The Snarl "ate" a planet. It also wolfed down a Pantheon of Gods.

Arrowstorm122
2013-07-14, 04:00 PM
The Snarl "ate" a planet. It also wolfed down a Pantheon of Gods.

We've/OOTS/everybody's been told so at least.

BlackBart
2013-07-14, 04:03 PM
It's been way too long since I've seen the party not just get completely stomped on. They have been woefully outmatched in every single situation since their ambush of the Linear Guild. I usually love me a dark storyline, but I just feel bad for them all the time now.

Dark Elf Bard
2013-07-14, 04:12 PM
is roy ded again?

Zephyr1011
2013-07-14, 04:27 PM
Well, I foresee the comment about V's body being impervious to harm while in Hell to be relevant.

Killer Angel
2013-07-14, 04:33 PM
Well, the double reference to "nuke the fridge", is epic, but... I'm shocked. :smalleek:

Ornithologist
2013-07-14, 04:48 PM
I will say the most shocking thing to me is that Redcloak knows Roy's name. For some reason it takes me completely by surprise. I make it a point in the games I run to always make that scenario an incredibly bad thing.

That being said. I almost cackled out loud at the deamon roaches.

yes, cackled.

Harbinger
2013-07-14, 04:48 PM
is roy ded again?

Almost certainly not. Rich wouldn't repeat a plot like that. I seriously doubt anyone is going to die, even Belkar, considering Durkon already died this arc.