PDA

View Full Version : Rob's Epic Level Campaign

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

DM7581
2013-07-15, 01:29 PM
Introduction to forum play:

Welcome to Rob’s Epic-Level D&D 3.5 play-by-post campaign! All who are reading this, players old and new, should abide by the following rules:

-this forum uses the honor system. Die rolling is an integral part of D&D, but we are all mature enough to know that cheating helps no one. That being said, keep it honest

-due to the nature of epic gameplay, the campaign will become a bit more story-based. Menial encounters will not be emphasized or resolved through dice, though I will do my best to keep this a die-rolling RPG as much as possible.

-be nice and respectful toward myself and each other. DM rulings are final, so no arguing in that department. I know magic at high levels is absurd in many areas, so some ad hoc, story-based modifications may be made in this area

-min/maxers, munckins, and rollplayers need not apply! Yes, everyone wants their character to be the best at what they do, but if there is a rules loophole that becomes increasingly or regularly abused (I’m thinking Time Stop/Delayed Blast Fireball for insane amounts of damage, making warriors obsolete), know that this will be addressed, in or out of game for sake of balance, realism, and most importantly, fun for everybody

-in combat, I will ask for a single initiative roll, modified by individual modifiers for to simplify initiative. Monsters will act as a group (or in groups depending on their modifiers) as well. When players declare their actions, please include any and ALL die rolls that would accompany that action (to hit AND damage for example). As each player declares their action(s), I will detail how it plays out (hits, misses, etc.) in dramatic, descriptive fashion. The opposite is true of my role; DM die rolls being secret, I will only display effects descriptively.

-out of combat situations will work similarly. Players can declare their intentions/actions (again, with appropriate die rolls, i.e. walking around a village investigating [27 Gather Information]). I will describe flavorfully all resolutions and outcomes.

-to get started, I will need everyone to message me their characters (privately or through e-mail) so that I may have all necessary stats handy (HP, AC, Saves, Skills, etc.)

This all being said, where did we leave off…?

DM7581
2013-07-15, 01:43 PM
Xavier, Dr. Nimm, and Bear Ghost experienced quite a night visiting Bear Ghost's Wild Jaguar Tribe. Although Bear Ghost "defeated" the present chieftain, combat rules were broken and quite the melee ensued. After all was said and done, the beaten chieftain was dragged back to his tent while the rest of the tribe eyed their "guests" with a wary eye. Xavier and Garyxkilla, not having taken part in the brawl, made quite the impression on individual tribesmen. Leena vanished at one point during the dinner festivities and is yet to return.

The captured Titania and her dire lion, Leandro, remain in captivity now revealed as the last remaining member of the Mountain Lion Tribe, which were formerly allies of Bear Ghost's Wild Jaguar Tribe until they were conquered after Bear Ghost's father's demise at the hands current chieftain.

Night fell and everyone awakes fully rested (albeit a little hung over through the celebrations of Kord and their newly acquired deity, the dark Chromaticus). Your next mission included venturing into the Doom Blizzard Peaks to the north, as a clutch of white dragons have taken Chromaticus as their deity and Bahamut along with Tiamat have given you the mission of severing this tie.

If anyone would like to conduct any morning business, now is the time.

Xavier Alexis
2013-07-22, 05:55 PM
I, Xavier Alexis, seek the council of my trusted friend Bear Ghost to ask if I should attempt to influence the opinion of the tribe in our favor.

DM7581
2013-08-06, 09:58 PM
Xavier, as you approach Bear Ghost's tent (he was able to sleep in guest quarters while you passed out drunk near a camp fire), you see that it is heavily surrounded by armed and armored troll (5), giant (hill and frost, 2 each), ogre (5), orc (10) and human (10) tribesmen along with about 10 regular and dire jaguars. A blue-skinned ogre is there as well. You vaguely remember him being at the chieftain's side throughout the last night's activities, but little more than that.

They see you approach, grasping their weapons, almost in fear of your approach. The blue-skinned ogre approaches you, he not in fear of your presence.

Thazgat: we mean you no offense... but your "friend," in his savage, mindless fury violated the code of battle. The chieftain asks that he, and his friends leave here immediately. He wishes not to look upon their shamed faces. I hear that you seek the dragons... to the north, yes? Be wary of the Doom Blizzard Peaks (he scoffs), many a fine warrior has fallen there. (His tone changes to a lighter note). Well, rested then are you? Feast, prepare for your travel... you will need your strength...

(reply?)

Bear Ghost, you awake to loud rustling outside of your tent, hearing fragments of a conversation between the witchdoctor, Thazgat, and Xavier. The tone has you feeling uneasy, though not hostile. You feel that you may have over stayed your welcome.

Xavier Alexis
2013-08-14, 01:55 AM
I attempt to use my charisma and diplomatic skills to my advantage.

Xavier Alexis: thank you for this information Thazgat and rest assured I am certain, if given the chance, that I can restore the trust which has been broken by my short-tempered friend. May I have a moment to speak to my friend, Bear Ghost, in private?

DM7581
2013-08-14, 10:00 AM
Give me a Diplomacy check. Next time include it with your original action/post to expedite things.

Xavier Alexis
2013-08-14, 08:17 PM
My diplomacy check roll was a 12 plus 40 equals a 52 on my check.

DM7581
2013-08-20, 08:19 PM
Your word and tones seemed to sooth the entire troupe gathered outside of the tent.

The witch doctor stares you up and down for just a second, with a slight squint in his eye, which quickly turns into what you think might be a sigh of relief. He then gestures to the crowd and mumbles something in Giant that would translate to "there's no trouble here... back to your posts," disbanding the gathering.

Thazgat: I trust not only in your words, dragon-blooded, but also in your intentions... and "noble spirit" (scoffing). I have heard tales of your ventures. Your reputation precedes you. As for your friend. You must know that his presence here, especially in his wanting to challenge Numvulk is a threat to our people and way of life. I suggest that you leave these lands and seek the dragons to the north. That is your original purpose, is it not?

A rustling in the tent catches your attention before you can respond. Bear Ghost (finally) emerges from his slumber. He looks well rested. Still no sign of Dr. Nimm, Leena, or the green dragon.

Xavier Alexis
2013-08-20, 10:36 PM
Xavier: Thank you Thazgat and yes, my friends and I do have more pressing matters to attend to right now. I will do my best to make sure we leave as soon as possible. Now, could you please give Bear Ghost and I a moment to speak privately so I may hasten our departure?

Bear_Ghost
2013-08-26, 05:07 PM
Bearghost: (Draws the curtain back from the tent..gives those in his tribe one last glance of disapproval.) The day my father died... this tribe died with it. There is nothing left for me here.

DM7581
2013-08-26, 08:17 PM
Thazgat: (eyeing Bear Ghost suspiciously) I will give you that "moment" dragon-blood, though we would be doing a disservice if not to offer a feast for a battle... fought last night. So eat, drink. Then be on your way. We know not of the whereabouts of your companions. Be sure that they no longer meddle in the affairs of the tribe (referencing Dr. Nimm being caught poisoning the Chief during the fight)

Xavier, you have partial recollection of this, but did not involve yourself during the brawl, giving you some credibility with the tribe. This is not so, however, with Bear Ghost and Dr. Nimm. The green dragon and Leena vanished at one point during the night and are yet to emerge.

As Bear Ghost emerges from the tent... (give me some spot checks)

Bear_Ghost
2013-08-27, 06:34 PM
(Bear Ghost rolls an 8 for his spot.) Keep your feast Thaz. The Gods have bigger plans for me. (Looks to Xavier) We have work to do.

Xavier Alexis
2013-09-04, 11:06 AM
(Xavier Alexis rolls a 28 for his spot)

Xavier Alexis: I agree Bear Ghost. Lead the way.

DM7581
2013-09-04, 08:11 PM
You both decide that you have overstayed your welcome just a bit and forgo the departing feast. You gather your belongings (not much for the Vow of Poverty Sorcerer) and start heading north, initially by foot (in case others wish to catch up).

Xavier, as you are heading out you notice that many of the tribesmen had been looking to you (or more specifically, toward Bear Ghost) with a glimmer of hope, however dying that hope might be. Some seemed quite upset that you did not partake in the morning feast. It is pretty evident that many of them had some hopes with his return.

There is a path that leads to the mountains, north. It is a lightly beaten path that dissolves somewhat the thicker the forest runs, eventually disappearing into the wild. The mountains in the distance seem large, even from the 2 days travel distance that you stand. You can barely see the frost on the tips of the ridges from the distance, though the span of the mountain range runs across the northern horizon for as far as you can see.

How do you wish to travel? By foot? Teleport? Fly?

Let's start off the day with max HP/MP.

Xavier Alexis
2013-09-04, 08:47 PM
Walking, for the time being, is fine with me.

Xavier: So Bear Ghost, I noticed there seems to be quite a few tribesman who seem disappointed by our departure. Would you like to rechallenge this chieftain? I am confident I can help persuade the tribe to settle this matter once and for all.

Leena
2013-09-05, 09:45 AM
Xavier, Bear Ghost, where are you running off to? It smells like food and I'm famished. Aren't you?

Xavier Alexis
2013-09-05, 10:24 AM
Xavier: Hello Leena, Bear Ghost is ready to leave this place behind him for now. However, I wouldn't mind joining his tribe in one last feast. I believe I could convince them to let Bear Ghost settle things with their current chieftain before we depart. What do you think?

(To Bear Ghost)

Xavier: What do you say Bear Ghost? Fight clean and even if you are killed, I will revive you. Besides, I believe you are more than capable of dispatching this chieftain without any help.

DM7581
2013-09-05, 02:26 PM
Leena appears from beyond the foliage, startling you all (she must have been quite uneasy, as an elf, celebrating with all manner of orc and giant-kin). There still has been no word on Garyxkilla or Dr. Nimm.

Not wanting to rejoin the tribe, food is found on the trail northwards. Leena has no issue in hunting and trapping small game (no roll required due to such high ranks in survival). You travel without incident the first day and decide to make camp around nightfall. Food is not bountiful, but not meager either.

Throughout the night, Xavier and Bear Ghost are awoken briefly as horrific bellows echo throughout the night, coming from the north. Leena, having already tranced, recognizes these sounds as draconic, but is unable to discern which type. The sounds end quickly and you all resume your rest.

The second day breaks and you continue your trek northward. The trail vanishes into the forest, which becomes much denser as you near the foot of the mountains. I assume Leena takes lead here, as she guides the group through the wilderness. I need everyone to make spot and listen checks please.

Xavier Alexis
2013-09-06, 12:34 PM
I didn't think we left the tribe yet.

Bear Ghost didn't tell me whether he wanted to challenge the chieftain again.

Bear_Ghost
2013-09-09, 12:50 AM
To Xavier: I due time.. Let him lick his wounds for now.. I want him at his best.. with no excuses. I will not play by his rules and do things on his terms. *Bear Ghost is very quiet for most of the journey as if there is a lot weighing on his mind *

Bear Ghost spot is 18, listen 13

DM7581
2013-09-09, 11:38 AM
So, everything continues as previously detailed. The tribe rules allow for the Chieftain to be challenged once per week, so maybe you guys can wait some time before doing that again.

Leena and Xavier, I am still waiting on your spot and listen checks.

Xavier Alexis
2013-09-09, 08:36 PM
Xavier: As you wish my friend.

Xavier's Spot check is 18 and Listen check is 19.

Leena
2013-09-10, 06:59 PM
Leena's spot check 13+25=38, listen check 19+25=44.
Don't forget about Reli, my dire wolf. Spot 7+5=12, listen 1+5=6.

We're playing a game during our travels, and its called "I spy". Based on my spot modifier, I'm probably winning....and Reli's in second place.

DM7581
2013-09-11, 01:13 AM
The group is walking along playing their game. Leena's high spot checks have given her an unfair advantage with the "I spy" game, although it seems that only Xavier is playing along, as Bear Ghost keeps to himself mostly, remaining quite gruff and keeping to himself.

Dusk breaks (limited visibility) and you are nearing the foot of the mountains. A chilled breeze passes through, letting you know in an unsubtle fashion that you're all on track to the right destination. Leena and her dire wolf seem to have followed tracks from the tribe that have lead her anyways, not that the mountain peeks are hard to miss.

There is a rough passage, or more of a trail that leads into the mountains. As you are all making your way through the base of the cliff...

Leena, you hear a very slight rustling from behind and all around you. Your keen hearing pinpoints 4 smaller creatures, rustling ever so slightly among the brush, sneaking up behind the group, in an arc-- you recognize the movements as those of draconic in nature (your checks get an additional +6 bonus since they are your favored enemy).

Your bow had remained readied while traveling, so you instinctively bring it up, startling both Xavier and Bear Ghost (who heard nothing more but the loud, whistling wind coming in from the cliff), catching a glimpse of what you've seen, as the other 2 duck as if you are about to fire on them.

Your low-light vision doesn't fail you-- your eyes confirm what you've heard. What you do see are small, reddish-brown reptilian creatures, undoubtedly a clutch of wyrmling and very young dragons, though you do not immediately recognize which type, all dragons disgust you to an extent (as a side note, I forgot to remember to mention that you've overheard Xavier be called "dragon-blood" and "dragon-blooded" back when they were at the tribe (you were keeping an eye on them from the outside), which has been kind of pissing you off as you've been walking with him and getting to know him.

Back to the dragons... there are 4 in total, 2 tiny (Yogi-sized) and 2 small (Kenji-sized), though it is difficult for you to discern whether good or evil. The smaller ones are scaling a tree, quite effortlessly, while the others are creeping along the brush. As you spot them, their eyes widen with fear.

As you were leading, in front, Bear Ghost was slightly behind you to your left while Xavier was next to him, behind you on the right. They are about 10 feet from you while the dragons are about 10 feet from them.

---------D----------------------------------------M
---------------------------------------------------M
----d-----------BG-------------------------------M
---------------------------L/R--------------------M
---d---------XA----------------------------------M
---------------------------------------------------M
----------D---------------------------------------M

North ----->

D=small dragon; d=tiny dragon; BG=Bear Ghost, XA=Xavier Alexis; L/R=Leena/Reli; M=Mountain face; There are tall trees, lightly scattered all around the area.

Xavier and Bear Ghost, you are both surprised. You can roll initiative for the start of the regular round, but remember that all you've seen is the wild elf raise her bow across your heads/faces with a pissed off look (although she isn't pointing directly at either of you).

Leena, roll for initiative for the surprise round. Include anything you'd like to say or do (you can speak briefly within your turn for free, but limit what you say and do to a 6-second interval). You can speak, attack, hold, move, etc. A surprise round only allows for a standard action, so while speaking is free, you are pretty limited. You can have Reli act on your turn as well, with the same limitations.

Bear_Ghost
2013-09-17, 12:37 AM
Initiative roll 18. Bear Ghost: What are you doing now?

DM7581
2013-09-19, 04:07 PM
Let's use the group initiative roll of 11 and modify from there. Initiative order for the surprise round is:

Leena: 21
Dragons: 15

Remember that everyone is considered flat-footed until they act and that the surprise round allows only for a standard action. Initiative order for the first full round will be:

Leena: 21
Bear Ghost: 18
Dragons: 15
Xavier: 14

Leena, you act first. What do you do? Remember to include appropriate die rolls with your actions.

Leena
2013-09-19, 09:22 PM
I use Manyshot to shoot a series of warning arrows at the dragons, 1 at each (16+28 [44], 19+28 [47], 6+28 [34], 19+28 [47]).

What is your business here and why have you followed us? I didn't have to miss.

DM7581
2013-09-19, 11:52 PM
Manyshot doesn't let you shoot at separate targets, but you are able to successfully fire off four arrows in their general area.

Leena holds her one drawn arrow fast and draws 3 more, very quickly, firing all 4 simultaneously between Xavier and Bear Ghost.

Xavier and Bear Ghost, the arrows whiz dangerously, but also somehow cautiously well placed, between the two of you. You can hear the screech of the arrow as the 2 outer ones whiz by your ears, all 4 striking a large tree that you had just passed.

Leena, the dragons scatter like flies, jumping behind trees, bushes, or whatever else is in reach, all out of sight.

Squeaky voices, in Draconic, are heard by all from their direction, almost trying to be brave, but proving to be quite the opposite:

D1: "You are... in... in OUR land (gulp). It is we who are to... to ask... ask the questions."

d2: "Yes! Yes! You tell them. Our land."

d1: "Don't make us have to hu-hurt you. We will if we have too!"

D2: "We will allow safe passage... under one... yes, one condition..."

The combat sequence ends. Xavier and Bear Ghost are now aware of the dragons and everyone has now caught at least a glimpse of them, as they peek around the bush or tree that they are hiding behind. Anyone can speak or act.

Xavier Alexis
2013-09-20, 06:26 PM
Xavier: My name is Xavier Alexis and my friends and I come in peace. I only wish to speak with you about a pressing concern that has led us to your home and threatens all of your kind. Now, please have no fear and show yourselves.

(I rolled a 6 plus 40 ranks in Diplomacy equals 46).

Leena
2013-09-20, 07:11 PM
I glare intensely at dragon d1, my eyes full of hate. Even Reli starts to growl.
"One more threat from you and you'll wish you never groveled out of that disgusting little egg shell from which you came."

DM7581
2013-09-23, 06:44 PM
Xavier's soothing tone and words seem to calm the little dragons a great deal. They begin to peer around the bushes and trees from where they are hiding until they are taken aback by Leena's harsh words and the low growl of her beastly companion. They all scuttle quite quickly behind the brush once again.

D2: It seems that one among you does not care for our kind... (clearly noticing Leena's obvious disdain).

D1: But... we do see that you bear us no ill will.

d1: At least HE, the Human (referring to Xavier).

D1: Then what will it be... a riddle, my brothers?

d2: Yes a riddle!

d1: Ooh, fun!

D2: Yes, a riddle, you must answer in order for you to pass.

D1: If you answer correctly, we will guide you in your quest.

d2: And if they do not?

d1: If they do not....

D1: If they do not, no help from us will they receive.

d2: And a wager?

d1: Yes! A wager!

D1: Interesting, yes, a wager... 500 pieces of gold if you fail.

d2: They WILL fail!

D2: What say you, humanoids?

http://www.e-figart.com/Image%20files/copperwyrmling.jpg

They all slowly peak around the trees and bushes that they are hiding behind, awaiting an answer, while being sure to be safe from any "stray" arrows that may be loosed.

Xavier Alexis
2013-09-25, 05:30 PM
I attempt to identify the Dragons in question. My Knowledge Arcana check roll was 7 plus 29 ranks for a total of 36.

Xavier to Leena: Please put your bow down and stifle your hatred. I can assure you these Dragons are no threat to us.

Xavier to Dragons: Pardon my overly aggressive friend here. She has had some bad experiences with some more evil members of your kind. That being said, I can guarantee you her heart is in the right place. Now, please come forward and speak with me plainly for I have no gold and we have little time for riddles and games at the moment. I should add that my friends and I are here under the orders of Bahamut, himself!

My Diplomacy check roll was a 6 plus 40 for a total of 46.

Bear_Ghost
2013-09-26, 06:51 PM
Bear Ghost says, Times are troublesome little ones.. especially for your kind. We have no time for games. For the lady who has the orbs that can control your kind isn't playing games.

Leena
2013-09-26, 10:03 PM
Leena says very cautiously, "very well, Xavier."
I lower my bow and calm Relio down by patting his back, just enough to ease him but to still keep him alert.

DM7581
2013-09-26, 10:29 PM
Xavier, you take a quick glance at the dragons, now that they have revealed themselves. You determine that they are copper dragons, naturally good-hearted riddlers, jokesters, and pranksters. They typically stay away from cold climates such as this, which is vexing (the Doomblizzard Peaks are in a perpetual winter season) and have a stream of acid as a breath weapon, sharing the immunity. Remember that Xavier alone knows this.

Your words intrigue the dragons as they step forward in confidence.

D1: Bahamut? Surely you jest! (seeing the seriousness in your face and tone)

D2: No, they are serious... not fun at all. Well there is little that we can do to help Bahamut...

d2: But we do know...

D2: (interrupting) yes, we do know something that may be related...

d1: To the riddle, then?

d2: Ha!

D1: Yes, you may answer if you wish... we will leave you, regardless. If you answer correctly, we will give you answers that you may seek.

d1: And what of the wager?

D2: We shall... just have fun this time. (there is a hint of synergy here, as if the foursome have done this before)

D1: No wager.

(the smaller dragons seemed upset about the wager having been dropped)

D2: So we begin...

D1: I go up, but never down;
D2: With my embrace, mortals frown (sadly).

The dragons come closer to everyone, almost circling and taunting you with their rhyming words

d2: (excitedly) Though dragons revel in my light!
D1: For they gain power and endless might.
D2: Lifeless objects who feel my sting...
D1: Will one day crumble to nothing.

They tend to gravitate away from Leena and Reli, and more toward Xavier and Bear Ghost (Xavier because he seems so nice and relatable and Bear Ghost because he has lots of "shiny things" on him that catch their attention; remember that the Vow of Poverty Xavier is dressed in black, tattered rags).

d2: When asked of me, many lie.
d1: So tell me now, what am I?

D2: Let us see, will the truth you reach?
d2: (voice cracking and croaking a bit) Three guesses you have, one for each.

They all back away together before you all, keeping their space and distance.

d1: So answer now, now we begin!
D1: Let us see now who will win...

At this point, they wait patiently for your answer. You are free to do away with the riddle and go on, or you could answer. Either way, you have nothing to lose.

Please do not "Google" the riddle for the answer. I wrote it myself, but outside hints defeat the purpose of this (remember the honor system).

Bear_Ghost
2013-09-27, 11:58 AM
Bear Ghost rubs his chin.

Xavier Alexis
2013-09-27, 07:50 PM
Xavier to Leena: Thank you Leena and remember, it matters not who strikes first as long as we strike last!

Xavier to Dragons: I will play along if you insist. After all, it only takes a moment. That being said, I believe the thing you are referring to in your riddle is "age".

DM7581
2013-09-28, 12:27 AM
All of the dragons suddenly seem to change their demeanor, as if solving their riddle ruined the better part of their day.

D1: A crafty one among your ranks...

d2: The one in rags, no less!

D2: Yes, the answer is "age," as mortals fear its inevitability, dragons embrace it's blessings, while objects eventually...

d1: (interrupting) Crumble to dust?

D2: Yes, crumble to dust.

D1: On your way then... But first...

d2: First what we promised. Our mother... Was kill--

D1: (interrupting) Driven off, yes...

D2: By a huge red dragon. He had others with him.

d1: They were silvers!

D1: Most probably whites.. We escaped, just us to the west.

d2: Perhaps the answers you seek lie to the east where...

D2: Where the mountain range runs high (pointing off into the distance), and the land runs wet and hot.

d2: Before we part...

D2: Not now...

d1: Why not?

d2: A joke?

d1: Yes! Have you heard any good ones?

D1: Do share...

The dragons are pleased with the interaction, but seem eager for more. They offered insight, possibly to where the red dragon who commands the Orb of Silver Dragons may lie. The location runs just north of where the black dragon ruins (with all of the lizard folk) lie.

Night begins to fall and you set up camp. The dragons hang around, offering some good and some not-so-good laughs and entertainment.

During Leena's watch, a few large grizzly bears come prowling around the camp site. She is able to approach and shoo them away (no roll required) for them to find food elsewhere.

Day breaks. The dragons must have gotten bored at some point and departed some time overnight.

Xavier, as you prepare yourself to continue on, you notice that something about you feels off... As if you feel a slight sense of lethargy. It is an odd sensation that you've never felt before, but everything else-- and everyone else seems fine and ready to move out.

You begin scaling the one of the lightly beaten paths that lead into the valley. Aside from a few snakes and other minor, trivial obstacles, nothing of consequence comes up.

The further you climb and the deeper you go into the mountain, the colder it gets. A few hours in, you have to stop to cover up because of the extreme cold (except Xavier due to his Vow of Poverty immunity; anyone else who can resist cold is unaffected as well). After about half a days trail, you make your way into the valley. At this point the weather has picked up and become a full-blown snow storm. Tracks are all but impossible to follow here due to the limited visibility.

The valley opens up to impossibly open plains, covered in snow, the only refuge the way you've just come.

Bear Ghost thinks to himself that these are truly proving grounds for the mightiest of his clan, while Leena is mostly frustrated because all she can do is determine which way is north.

As you are trekking across the open plains... I need 2 things:
-Your marching order
-Spot and listen checks

Bear_Ghost
2013-09-28, 06:43 AM
I am up front. Spot: roll 13 +1 = 14 Listen: Roll 17 +0 = 17

To Xavier and Leena: This thought has been crossing my mind. This may be the final place where Bear Ghost will do battle. Thank you both for guiding me here. Thought it needed to be said.

Xavier Alexis
2013-09-28, 04:19 PM
My Listen check is 23 and my Spot check is 33.

Xavier to Bear Ghost: What do you mean, my friend? Do you no longer wish to adventure or do you have a feeling of dread? I should tell you, I feel somewhat off since waking up today.

I am walking to the left of Bear Ghost as I speak with him.

Remember Rob, I have Contingency cast so if I am attacked while flat-footed, the spell Celerity comes into effect.

Christ. Michael
2013-09-28, 07:41 PM
(I approach from behind)

(Shouting to make my presence known. My words are clipped and precise.) "May the light of Pelor always shine down upon you and light the path before you, Xavier Alexis and Bear Ghost."

(As I approach, I'll lower my voice.) "Greetings, stranger. My name is Christopher Michael, Angel and servant of the Sun. I have traveled from Elysium to join you."

If I'm allowed a roll, my Spot and Listen are both 28.

Leena
2013-09-29, 12:17 AM
36 listen, 31 spot

Hello, my name is Leena, and this is my dire wolf, Reli. It seems that you have a history with my friends here. What brings you from this "Elysium" that you speak of?

DM7581
2013-09-29, 12:54 AM
Christopher Michael appears behind you all, barely visible or even audible through the howling winds and falling snow.

The weather has picked up, making it much too dangerous to fly; it's been difficult enough trudging through 6 inches of snow for the last few hours on foot.

As he approaches and you all carry on with the pleasantries, both Leena and Christopher sense (hear) a slight trembling beneath their feet. They, along with Xavier, see faint, red pulses of light all around you, from beneath the surface, though they start growing larger and larger. You 3 realize then that the surface you've been traveling on for sometime, although covered by snow, seems to be thick, solid ice (possible once a lake, frozen over).

Bear Ghost is unable to see/hear anything at this point, as the limited visibility and roaring winds continue to dull his senses.

Someone give me an initiative roll. Everyone modify with your individual modifiers. I also need fortitude saves due to the wind (you were struggling out of combat as well). Bear Ghost cannot act in the surprise round, but he'll jump in on his count during the first regular round, like last time.

FYI, due to the weather, take note of the following penalties:
-4 to spot and listen checks
-4 to all ranged attacks
Medium creatures required to make a DC 15 Fort save every round or be "checked" (unable to move; flying creatures get blown back)

Christ. Michael
2013-09-29, 07:45 AM
Initiative (18+ 2) 20. Fortitude (12+26) 38

Xavier Alexis
2013-09-29, 08:57 AM
Xavier Alexis to Christopher Michael: I cannot believe it! Welcome my brother! It is good to know we have Pelor's blessing and even better to know you are by our side!

(My initiative modifier is plus 7 for a total of 25)

(My Fortitude save is 33)

DM7581
2013-09-29, 09:20 AM
I believe that both Bear Ghost and Xavier have items/abilities that grant Freedom of Movement, so they have been able to move quite normally throughout these parts-- even considering the heavy winds and snow. Furthermore, they do not have to make a Fortitude save every round. We are just waiting on Leena's response...

Leena
2013-09-29, 12:29 PM
Leena's initiative modifier is +10 (28 total). Fortitude save is 13+16 (29 total).

Leena: I don't believe we are on safe grounds. We should get out of here.

DM7581
2013-09-29, 04:01 PM
Nobody is currently affected by the wind, though footing is still rough for Christopher and Lena (due to his size and strength, Reli is doing just fine through the snow). Just then, out in the distance (miles away), a screeching bellow can be heard (which is pretty impressive, given the wind). It comes from the north, but, however loud it is, is unable to be identified by anyone at the moment.

All of a sudden, 5 giant centipede-like creatures burst through the ground beneath you, 2 of them are noticeably larger than the rest. The smaller ones are over 20 feet long and quite massive. The larger ones are nearly 50 feet long and almost 10 feet around. They have hideous insect-like faces, with wild frills running down both sides of their bodies. They are whitish-blue, but have a pulse of warm red emanating from the inside of their bodies. They are accompanied by a draft of extreme heat, an almost welcome draft, which is made especially evident as lukewarm water splashes up and around everyone.

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac354/Dsunchrono/Remorhaz.jpg

The floor beneath everyone starts to give as a result of them breaking through from underneath. This is the current lay-out:

-----------------------------------------
-------M---------m---------------------
-----------CM-----XA-----------M------
---m------------LR-----BG-------------
----------------------m-----------------
-----------------------------------------
North --->

M: bigger monsters; m: smaller monsters; CM: Christopher Michael; XA: Xavier Alexis; LR: Leena/Reli; BG: Bear Ghost

Initiative order for the surprise round is:
Leena (28)
Xavier (25)
Christopher (20)
Big M (19)
Small M (15)

Bear Ghost will jump in at count 25, right after Xavier (I'm giving him priority due to his higher Dex modifier), during the first full round. I need everyone to make balance checks during their action, as the ground under you starts to lift, tilt, and/or crumble beneath you. Remember you are only allowed a standard action during the surprise round.

Leena, you're up.

Leena
2013-09-29, 07:44 PM
I take a five foot step towards the south and use Manyshot on the closest creature.

20+36-8-4=44 (critical threat, 13+24=37 to confirm)

Damage: 4d8+40+10 (shocking)=66 plus 4 con damage.

If my critical hit is successful add 2d8+20+13(shocking burst).

My balance check is 18+9=27

Reli charges the same creature.

11+2(charging)+25=38.
Damage: 2d6+21=31

If he hits he can trip as a free action (d20+18=35).
His balance check is 7+7=14.

DM7581
2013-09-29, 10:30 PM
Leena's 5-foot step turns into a backward slide, as she maintains her composure on the icy platform elevating rapidly in front of her. Her volley of arrows strikes true, despite the harsh wind conditions, resulting in 4 well-placed arrows in the belly of the creature, accompanied by an explosion of lightning and electricity. Although severely wounded, the creature still stands.

http://cdn.obsidianportal.com/images/488725/Female-ElfRanger02_1_.jpg

Reli was lucky as well. He lunges forward, and then upward, as the platform of ice began to rise before him (I'm giving him a +2 bonus to his balance check because he is a quadruped). Fearless, he lunges at the beast, latching onto one of its many arms, his great strength pulling it down, onto its side. It is now prone, flailing and writhing about.

http://vindictushq.com/wordpress/vhq/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/dire-wolf.jpg

The creatures body, however, gives off tremendous heat. Leena's arrows were instantly consumed in a wisp of fire as they penetrate the creature's carapace. Furthermore, Reli let out a yelp of pain the moment he latched on to it. He suffers 23 points of fire damage as a result.

Xavier, you're up.

http://www.arcadequartermaster.com/capcom/ddsom/picsyous.png

Xavier Alexis
2013-09-30, 04:23 PM
I attempt to identify these creatures.

My Knowledge Arcana check is 34.

My Balance check is 25.

I await information before I decide on my standard action.

DM7581
2013-09-30, 07:50 PM
The creatures are known as remorhazes. They are apex predators that can be found in most cold climates. Despite their affinity for cold climates, their bodies are capable of emitting massive amounts of heat. Some even say that weapons can be destroyed when striking the creature, melting instantly.

Dr_Nimm
2013-09-30, 09:00 PM
Back in the giant camp, a tent explodes, hurled upward into the sky. Startled giants scramble for their weapons, and behold a blackened crater in which stands a surprised, charred gnome. He removes his goggles, exposing two perfect circles of white skin around his eyes. Blinking in momentary puzzlement, he addresses the baffled giants.

"Greetings. It seems that my attempt to surreptitiously teleport to Doom Canyon Ranch Mountain, or whatever it's called, has gone awry. Seeing as my comrades have left several days prior, I shall forego my etymological studies of giant language (my backup project) and attempt to catch up to them forthwith, with no delay."

"Except to retort to your ill-founded contention that we cheated in the duel. Indeed, seeing as you put so much faith in a diety, which has no scientific basis, and the obvious fact that you are, on average, 897% larger than I am, and consequently possessing a much larger brain, it was a gross failure on your part to grasp basic principles of physics which I merely used to my advantage, having an 897% handicap. May I remind you that I defeated one of your giants in hand to hand combat myself. That's an 897% FAILURE on your part. If I had the time, I would be glad to assist you in correcting these deficiencies. But alas, I must catch up with my companions, for though they are blessed with Herculean might, they are sorely lacking in intellectual prowess. Furthermore, I can continue my research on the variations in Draconic Phonemes among the various chromatic breeds. For example... Oh never mind. You wouldn't understand."

(The tent crashes back down nearby.)

"Now I would ask that the strongest among you throw me as far as you can in the direction of Doom Canyon Ranch Mountain... Or whatever direction you smell a stench of body odor and raw meat, (more than your own, which is copious) as that would indicate the location of Bear Ghost, my personal bodyguard.

(Dr Nimm drinks a slow fall elixir and is thrown in the direction of the party. Or drinks a fly elixir and flies there)

DM7581
2013-09-30, 10:41 PM
Dr. Nimm! Yes. You started trailing Bear Ghost, Xavier, and Leena about half a day behind. You had to rest a day en route, but was otherwise pretty well on track toward the Doomblizzard Peaks.

Upon entering, the valley flight was all but impossible, so you had to take to the ground. A short while in, heading more or less blindly north, you are brought back on track by an eruption of ice, snow, and water way ahead of you. The snow and wind has made vision and even foot travel very difficult up until this point and it doesn't look like it's getting much easier.

http://cdn.obsidianportal.com/images/1192027/Gnome_Image_5.jpg

Let's continue with the current initiative count. Dr. Nimm can jump in at the top of the second round.

Xavier Alexis
2013-09-30, 11:30 PM
Xavier Alexis to everyone: Defend yourselves! From what I know about these beasts, they think we are their next meal. Also be warned, your weapons can be destroyed and you can be harmed by the intense heat their bodies are capable of generating.

For my standard action, I cast a maximized Orb of Acid spell on the small Remorhaz to the southwest of me. My ranged touch attack roll is 30 and the spell deals 90 points of damage. Additionally, the creature must succeed at a DC 28 Fortitude save or be sickened for one round due to noxious fumes caused by the orb.

As an immediate action, I also cast Greater Mirror Image. I have 8 duplicates plus myself. Additionally, one duplicate appears each round if there are less than 8 duplicates.

My duplicate images (DI) are scattered near me in this manner:

-----------------(West)---------------------
-------M--DI-DI--m-DI-----------------------
(South)-DI-CM--DI-XA-DI-DI-----M------(North)
---m------------LR-----BG-DI-----------------
----------------------m---------------------
------------------(East)----------------------

DM7581
2013-10-01, 08:43 AM
Xavier successfully identifies the creatures, shouting a brief warning to all within earshot (basically everyone except Dr. Nimm). He is able to stabilize himself on the shifting platform as he casts 2 spells in rapid succession. 8 images spring forth into being around Xavier. After casting the second spell, a green orb appears in his hand, which he flings at the Remorhaz nearest to him.

http://s1.dmcdn.net/Bolf8/x240-MKN.jpg

The orb hits dead on, exploding in a small splash of acid (no splash effect). The noxious fumes can be smelled by Bear Ghost nearby, to no ill effect. Having been struck directly, though, these fumes seem to start affecting the beast. It struggles for just a second, but shakes off any adverse effects, letting off a hideous, squeal-like exhalation as the fumes clear.

As per the rules, Xavier, you need to tell me where the images are in relation to you. They can be around you, in a line, or whatever, so long as each image is within 5 feet of you or another image, with at least one being within 5 feet of you.

Christopher, you're up next.

http://www.arcadequartermaster.com/capcom/ddtod/ddtod_cleric.png

(I suppose his wings are folded underneath his cloak).

Bear_Ghost
2013-10-01, 09:55 AM
Bear Ghost is wearing the Blind Helm so visibility is not an issue with anything that comes near him. However he does not have Freedom of Movement.
Init roll 18+ 7 = 25 Fort 13 +30 = 43

DM7581
2013-10-01, 10:42 AM
The Blindhelm only grants Blindsense out to 5 feet, but does not otherwise grant any extra sensory powers that would be a problem due to obscured vision. Regardless, the snow and wind only affects ranged attacks (-4) as well as spot, listen, and search checks (-4). Since the Blindsense ability only extends 5 feet, Bear Ghost was still unable to notice the Remorhazes until they were already too close.

I'll take the Fortitude save for now. Bear Ghost, on his turn, won't be hampered by movement. The DC is only 15, so only a roll of a 1 will hamper your movement in subsequent rounds.

I edited the initiative order to include you to go right along with Xavier on the first round, since you both have the same initiative modifier (count 25).

http://cdn.obsidianportal.com/images/969074/Half-orc_barbarian.jpg

Christ. Michael
2013-10-01, 05:16 PM
My balance check is (8+3-5) 6.

If I don't do a face plant, I would like to take a 5 foot step towards Leena and cast a Quickened Blade Barrier. It is 120 feet long and it runs from the smaller remorhaz in the South to the smaller remorhaz in the West. The reflex save is 30.

When I evoke the barrier so that it appears where creatures are, each creature takes damage (15d6) as if passing through the wall. Each such creature can avoid the wall (ending up on the side of its choice) and thus take no damage by making a successful Reflex save. I roll 44 for damage.

If I'm still allowed a standard action, in light of Xavier's information, I will cast Fire Shield (Chill Shield). I wreathe myself in green flames so that any creature that strikes me is dealt 1d6+15 damage. I take only half damage from fire-based attacks. If such an attack allows a Reflex save for half damage, I take no damage on a successful save

DM7581
2013-10-01, 06:27 PM
Unfortunately, as Christopher is trying to cast his spell(s), the ground beneath him proves too unstable. The intense rocking and shaking caused by the creatures eruption from below flings him off to the side, thankfully further away from the biggest creature, right up near Xavier and Leena.

No spell points are expended, as this happened before he get the chance to even start casting. He is prone, however.

DM7581
2013-10-01, 07:16 PM
The two larger remorhazes advance (charge) on the prone Christopher and the flat-footed Bear Ghost, scuttling effortlessly through the ice and snow with surprising speed and reflexes.

The vulnerable Christopher is bit down on hard on the shoulder (taking 42 points of damage). The creature then attempts to grasp him in his mouth, maintaining the bite. Christopher, I need a grapple check.

Bear Ghost has yet to even gather his thoughts (I never received his balance check either...) as the other closes on him, it's enormous maw coming down on him. Bear Ghost gets bitten deeply as well, but in the arm (taking 40 points of damage), seemingly unaffected by Bear Ghost's displacement, but is utterly incapable of holding on for any longer than the bite would allow. Bear Ghost, I need a Will Save DC 50 to prevent going into a frenzy on your turn.

The creature flailing on the floor fighting with Reli, flips upright, but is unable to do anything for the remainder of it's turn. As it tries to get up, Reli snaps at it once more (inflicting 26 points of damage), driving it to the ground, mauling it, while it writhes and screeches frantically in spasms until it collapses on the snow, lifeless. Reli takes 21 points of fire damage due to the heat. Reli then snarls at the dead creature, licks his chops, and looks to Leena for further instruction.

The smaller one approaching from the south charges toward Christopher, despite him being partially in the larger one's mouth. Unfortunately, Christopher is unable to swing his leg out of the way, the smaller one now taking a bite out of him there and trying to hold on for more... Christopher, make that 2 grapple checks.

Despite the desperate situation, the heat being produced by these creature's bodies is ironically comforting considering the extreme cold, though you do not take any extra damage from it.

The last one, standing near Xavier, hesitates, if just for a second as if mildly confused by the multiple "Xaviers" standing around the area all of a sudden. It seems to look quickly at all of them, but then very intensely at one and lunges at it.

Surprisingly, it chose the right "Xavier" to attack. Fortunately for Xavier, his Contingency (Celerity) spell goes off. Xavier, you have a standard action, but are dazed right afterward.

Let me get the rolls I asked for, including Xavier's action, then we can go to the top of the first round. Bear Ghost can now act on his count when it comes up. Dr. Nimm will now be witness to the chaos, but he will have to jump in at the top of the second round.

Christ. Michael
2013-10-01, 07:25 PM
The first grapples is 28. The second is 36.

DM7581
2013-10-01, 07:40 PM
I miss calculated Christopher Michael's Grapple modifier (BAB+Str Mod+Size should equal 22, not 21), so I'll make the adjustment. Be sure to correct it on your sheet.

Regardless, the first (bigger) Remorhaz is able to secure a grapple while the other is unable to, your body being pulled away, as it holds you in its massive mouth.

You take an additional 44 points of bite damage due to the hold as well as 41 fire damage due to the tremendous heat that it gives off (check your resistances and immunities, including damage reduction, which I believe is 10/magic, which I haven't accounted for).

You are now partially in its mouth, with your feet dangling, flailing about 5 feet from the surface.

Christ. Michael
2013-10-01, 07:48 PM
Cloak of resistance +5, Buckler with 10 Fire Resistance, and 10 DR/magic

Dr_Nimm
2013-10-01, 07:52 PM
As I approach, but before I determine my actions, I make a knowledge Nature roll (if they pertain to another knowlege let me know) to recall my knowledge of Remorhaz from my vast array of knowledge, having attained 67 Ph.D's in various subjects from the University of The Entire Universe (UEU) in the Gnomish capital of Ingenia.

I will also make a knowledge:geography roll to recall relevant facts about this particular place which I can use to my strategic terrain dvantage.

Nature: 43
Geography 45

Love the pictures

Dr_Nimm
2013-10-01, 08:58 PM
Also before we proceed, I have the following effect;

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/r/resurgent-transformation

The duration is about 20 hours long, which means I can drink the elixir after every long rest. If more than 20 hours pass without rest Ill drink another one provided I have a spell slot available.

I also have http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/d/delayed-consumption up with cure critical as the companion elixir for it. The duration lasts for days.

Also Dr. Nimm is usually high on something, as a master alchemist he has an array of substances he can smoke through his weaponized pipe, sniff in powder form or imbibe as a liquid.

Most likely a dex boosting stimulant and/or mind altering substance. Can't find many specific rules on these.

DM7581
2013-10-01, 09:10 PM
In the heart of what is often referred to as savage or wild region of the continent lay the Doomblizzard Peaks. Aptly named, they often act as proving grounds for the surrounding barbarian tribes, where their toughest warriors would venture forth (often times alone), with only a small portion of them coming back alive.

Special praise and admiration was given to those who would bring back a trophy from their conquest, such as the head of a giant or even that of a fierce white dragon.

It should be noted that the current Troll chieftain conquered the surrounding tribes, unifying them. There were 4 such tribes, the Wild Jaguars, Mountain Lion, Savage Dragon, and Swift Horse tribes.

The region experiences perpetual winter. Snowfall is a daily affair, with heavier snowstorms or even blizzards occurring quite frequently as well. Needless to say, a variety of creatures that favor the cold call the Peaks home.

The region contains vast, open plains, with trees sparsely scattered across the valleys. The mountains are high, having been climbed by a select few, often claimed by mighty wyrms. All told, it is a MASSIVE space, visible for miles away. Sailors often use it when approaching the continent from the west, as it is as easily seen as the entire continent when traveling by sea.

Some of the more common creatures include polar bears, dire bears, wolves, dire wolves, winter wolves, remorhazes, frost worms, frost giants, frost salamanders, white dragons, silver dragons, cloud giants, ettins, trolls, and ogres among others. It is said that a variety of obscure and even extra-planar creatures reside here as well, but such claims are unfounded and speculative at best.

http://www.terragalleria.com/images/black-white/np-pacific/yose40168-bw.jpeg

Dr_Nimm
2013-10-01, 09:32 PM
Cool. I edited my previous post. Have a look if you missed it.

Knowing this, I would have taken a cold shield elixir on my way there as a precaution (not a heat shield elixir as I was unaware of the Remorhazes). It's half dmg from cold plus heat damage if hit in melee. 1 hr/level duration.

Once I arrive at the combat, I'll use my Natural and Geographical knowledge to attempt to position myself atop certain types of bedrock with a more porous consistency, which dampens my vibrations and may interfere with the tremor sense of these fascinating creatures (hence my rolls).

That's what my character is thinking (Im of course not expecting that to work just cause I rolled well on it).

"Bear Ghost! Your power is ferocious, but as typical with your race, you are all strength and no skill! Your technique is mighty, but grossly inefficient!"

"Xavier! If you had taken the time to properly cast one spell rather than two, perhaps either your mirror image, or your acid orb would have had a greater effect! As the most powerful sorcerer on this continent, that was quite amateurish of you! I dare say Im somewhat embarrassed to be in your company at this present moment!"

Xavier Alexis
2013-10-01, 09:57 PM
If I ever forget to mention it, I always cast defensively in combat situations.

I cast the spell Hailstones, maximized.

This spell produces four hailstones which each inflict 30 damage on a successful ranged touch attack.

My ranged touch attack rolls are 30, 20, 32 and 38 against the creature that is currently attacking me.

I then cast the spell Fly, quickened.

Dr_Nimm
2013-10-01, 10:02 PM
"Hmph. This is perhaps a more adequate demonstration of your talents, Xavier!"

DM7581
2013-10-01, 10:45 PM
Xavier cannot also move after casting Hailstones as a standard action since Celerity only gives you a standard action. You can edit your post.

What is the Saving Throw DC for Hailstones?

Dr. Nimm, you can "craft" such a drug following the rules for potions. Typically, it would give Cat's Grace (+4 Dex), but I'm sure more powerful versions exist.

Also, Remorhazes are magical beasts, so the appropriate knowledge check would be arcana. Although Xavier already informed the group of some characteristics, you are welcome to roll and possibly learn more.

FYI: I love the banter, but too much talking may constitute your action, so try to keep it in "real time" as much as possible (we are just finishing the surprise round, so less than 6 seconds has elapsed).

Dr_Nimm
2013-10-01, 10:49 PM
"Xavier your understanding of basic magical principles seems to have eluded you. Are you well, sir?"

Xavier Alexis
2013-10-01, 10:59 PM
Xavier to Dr. Nimm: Too much wine!

Dr_Nimm
2013-10-02, 08:39 AM
"I have something better. Here, try this..."

Dr Nimm reaches into his Personal Defense Organizer and hands Xavier a small glass of amber liquid. It has an aroma of fresh bread and cloves, with notes of honey and lemon peel.

DM7581
2013-10-02, 09:26 AM
We are still in the surprise round and Dr. Nimm is a good 50 or so feet behind all of the action. He was unaware of the Remorhaz ambush, but, as a new combatant, can enter at the top of the second round.

Let's finish up the surprise and first rounds, then Dr. Nimm can give the party a round of shots.

Dr_Nimm
2013-10-02, 09:37 AM
"Drat! My attempt to bend time to my will has failed! Curse these 'rules!'"

Dr_Nimm
2013-10-02, 09:55 AM
Knowledge arcana is 33.

I'm a gnome, I can talk very fast.

DM7581
2013-10-02, 10:22 AM
Aside from the previous information revealed to Xavier, Dr. Nimm recalls a tidbit of information regarding these creatures and exactly how they hunt. Typically, they burrow beneath the surface, sensing the presence of creatures as they walk near. They have an uncanny ability to sense creatures, so long as they are in contact with the surface (the Tremorsense ability). This may explain how the creature was able to detect the true Xavier among the duplicates. The best way to thwart this ability would be to fly, levitate, etc.

I gave you a +2 bonus due to synergy because of the related skills (region, creature, geography).

You cannot actually share this information until it is your turn to act, again which would be at the top of the second round.

I appreciate the enthusiasm, though. I also appreciate correct usage of quotation marks on your posts.

DM7581
2013-10-02, 03:11 PM
Time slows down for a moment for Xavier as the celerity spell takes effect. Xavier casts his hailstones spell (maximized), but just 2 stones appear (which he throws and hits dead on with) instead of the 4 he was expecting. The stones collide violently with the creature as it screeches, hurt, but still very much alive.

You continue with your fly spell, as normal. You have little time to wonder how magic functions in the realm (maybe Dr. Nimm can lecture you later), as the remorhaz before you continues it's lunge as the time flow resumes to normal.

Luckily, it misses as you duck right under, it's maw driving deep within the snow before it reels back and shakes off the debris.

The Daze lasts until the end of your next turn, which will be until this initiative count, since it is when it took effect.

We are at the top of the first round. Leena?

As a side note, casters (including Dr. Nimm), when you cast a spell, remember that you must spend SP up to the caster level that you wish the spell to be cast at. For example, a Magic Missile (a 1st-level spell) usually costs 1 SP, but if you want all 5 missiles, it will cost 9 SP. This also goes for non-damage dealing spells, despite how the rule is written in the SRD. Remember that you cannot spend more than your caster level in SP, up to 20 (you need the Improved Spell Capacity epic feat to go higher than that). Also take into account any Metamagic feats you apply. A Quickened (+8 SP) Magic Missile (5 missiles) would cost 17 SP, while a Maximized (+6 SP) Cone of Cold (9 SP) could cost from 15 SP (9d6 maximized to 54) to 20 SP (14d6 maximized to 84).

Alchemist Extracts will work the same as spells. You will use the Bard SP progression in the SRD. Also, if you haven't done so already, please send me a copy of your character (I'm missing Bear Ghost and Dr. Nimm).

Note that the "lethargy" that you have been feeling is not related to how I am calculating spells and their SP cost. That is, a Maximized Hailstones (expending the maximum number of SL, 20) would only allow for 2 stones (Maximize costs 6 SP, Hailstones costs 5, then you can add up to 9 SP, though you can only create 2 at 16 SP, as 3 would require 21 SP, 4 would require 26 SP, etc.).

Dr_Nimm
2013-10-02, 08:15 PM
I'd be happy to expound on magical theories! I know exactly what went wrong, with Mr. Alexis's attempt. But alas, I am out of earshot until next turn.

Leena
2013-10-03, 09:40 PM
I call out to Reli to come by my side.

I do Manyshot again,35 to hit
72 + 4 con damage

DM7581
2013-10-03, 10:19 PM
I included current movement, as well as everyone's threat range, if you are currently threatening any squares. Each square is 5x5 feet. I had to consolidate the Mirror Image images so they were all adjacent.

Be careful, because almost everyone is in a threatened square, which may provoke an attack of opportunity if movement isn't careful.

Also, due to the ice/snow having settled, all squares are to be treated as difficult terrain.

http://i877.photobucket.com/albums/ab339/rms7581/BattleMap_zps9a1cbc11.jpg (http://s877.photobucket.com/user/rms7581/media/BattleMap_zps9a1cbc11.jpg.html)

This is the first and last time that I will actually show the threatened ranges. It complicates the map and you guys need to learn the system.

I made a mistake with the creature spaces and threat ranges. I corrected it. Leena is actually not in any threatened squares, so her attack can resolve normally.

DM7581
2013-10-03, 10:20 PM
You didn't specify who you are hitting and I just detailed the map. You may want to rethink/repost. You can keep the same die rolls if you basic attack action remains the same.

DM7581
2013-10-04, 11:53 AM
Leena draw four arrows and loads them simultaneously, loosing them on the larger remorhaz that has Christopher Michael in its maw. The arrows pierce it's underbelly, though it continues struggling and flailing with the helpless Christopher, letting out a muffled, squealing, groan of agony.

Xavier is Dazed until later on this turn. Bear Ghost?

Dr_Nimm
2013-10-04, 02:52 PM
Dr. Nimm thinks privately to himself: "Hmph. Four arrows at once? Parlor tricks! She was only successful due to the large size and close proximity of the beast! I am surrounded by amateurs!"

Leena
2013-10-04, 07:46 PM
Reli smells a dirty stinkin gnome coming from down wind and starts to growl. I smell it too, but pat him to calm him down while holding my nose myself, nonetheless.

Dr_Nimm
2013-10-04, 10:13 PM
(Lmao @ Leena)

"We will see who is hostile if your pet ever requires specialized veterinary care!"

Bear_Ghost
2013-10-06, 11:29 PM
Balance Check is roll is 17+3 = 20 Will save Roll 5 +16=21

"RAAWWWRRRR!!!!!!!" Bear Ghost Attacks the one that bit him with 10 power attack 49, 52, 43, 38, 36

DM7581
2013-10-07, 09:28 AM
Is Bear Ghost charging or walking up and attacking? He can still use Dire Charge since it is the first round. He needs to charge to get in all 5 attacks. Remember charging nets a +2 to hit (the first attack only) but a -2 AC until next round.

Also I need his damage numbers.

Actually, you cannot charge through a space occupied by an ally. Since Xavier's Mirror Image is in from of you, you will need to move up and make a single attack. Even diagonal movement needs to be clear of obstacles. Your Freedom of Movement allows for a charge, however, though it does not allow movement through an ally at no penalty).

Bear_Ghost
2013-10-07, 02:20 PM
Bear Ghost leaps with a jump check of 61, his damage is 91, 75, 78, 75 and 81.

Dr_Nimm
2013-10-07, 07:16 PM
(Thinking to himself) "Most impressive! Aided by my elixirs, I have no doubt that he could cleave a Titan clean in half!"

DM7581
2013-10-08, 06:15 PM
Though Bear Ghost was able to maintain his balance on the slippery, collapsing surface of ice he was standing on, the vicious bite delivered by the large remorhaz was too much for his temper to control. With blood-shot eyes and a terrifying howl, he hefts his axe, eyeing the beast.

Seeing as there was no straight line for a charge, and not wanting to endanger his ally (not yet anyway), Bear Ghost figured that since he couldn't go through or around Xavier (his image that is), he might as well go over him.

The strength of the leap was incredible, nearly destroying the surface below with it's power, allowing Bear Ghost to leap directly over Xavier with a single bound, well over his 6-foot height as well as easily across the 10 foot gap between him and the monster.

However, as a penalty for exiting a threatened square, the remorhaz strikes quickly at this (attack of) opportunity. As the beast lunges at Bear Ghost, it's attack is dead on... dead on the displaced image that Bear Ghost projects (Bear Ghost, I still need a copy of your sheet). It's giant maw nearly grazes the true Bear Ghost, while passing harmlessly through the displaced image.

Bear Ghost lands hard with a massive blow, following up with the remainder of his attacks, all of them hitting dead on. The first 4 attacks drop the creature in an explosion of heat, guts, and bile that is now covering Bear Ghost (no damage and your weapon seemed unscathed from the heat despite Xavier's warning), him howling in fury. He then cleaves recklessly into one of Xavier's images and then finishes his 5th swing on yet another of Xavier's images.

Due to the charge, a 5-foot step is not allowed, so Bear Ghost was unable to direct his attacks elsewhere. That leaves 6 images remaining. 1 will re-spawn on Xavier's turn.

Christopher is up next, but remember that he is nearly helpless, in the mouth of the other big remorhaz.

Dr_Nimm
2013-10-08, 07:40 PM
This otherwise honorable savage clearly has severe and dangerous psychological derangements. I will suggest the administration of an anti-psychotic or sedative compound.

Christ. Michael
2013-10-09, 09:11 AM
With my top half stuck inside a remorhaz, I'm assuming I don't have access to my hands.

(Shout) "Release me, fiend!"

I attempt to defensively cast Mass Charm Monster (Concentration roll 50) it has only a verbal component, and affects monsters whose combined HD do not exceed twice my level, or at least one creature regardless of HD. Will save is 10+ 10 (1/2 HD) + 10 (CHA) 30 for my racial ability.

DM7581
2013-10-09, 01:06 PM
Christopher's muffed screams are barely understood as he activates his spell-like ability. His concentration check was successful (DC 28 in this case). Although he is able to activate his Mass Charm Monster, it doesn't seem to have an effect on the creature (sorry, I rolled a natural 20 on the Will save). It shakes off the effect rather quickly, continuing to grasp the poor, dangling cleric.

As a side note, your DC would be 28, 10+the spell-like ability's level (8)+your Cha modifier. Also, none of your spell-like abilities have any components, which is a nice bonus perk.

This leaves Christopher in the same predicament, dangling, at the mercy of his attacker...

Now it is the monster's turn.

The larger one continues it's bit down on Christopher, attempting to swallow him whole! Christopher, give me a Grapple check.

Christ. Michael
2013-10-09, 01:52 PM
11+21 for 32

DM7581
2013-10-10, 10:17 AM
The great strength and size of the remorhaz was simply too much for Christopher to resist. He gets swallowed whole (Grapple check 55). Christopher takes 40 points of bludgeoning damage and an additional 29 points of fire damage due to the gizzard (adjust for damage reduction).

The creature let's out a horrendous belch and then eyes Xavier and moves 15 feet in on him.

Meanwhile, the 2 smaller remorhazes advance on Xavier and Leena respectively.

Xavier, your stun condition expires, though it took your new initiative count. You cannot perform any actions other than an immediate action (or actions...) until your next turn. A new image appears (I placed it where the last one that was destroyed was).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The smaller remorhaz on Xavier strikes on him once again, again bypassing his Mirror Image spell. He hits for 28 bite damage as well as 29 fire damage (adjust for damage reduction). It again attempts to bite down and hold on, but is unable to, shaking off it's confusion (Freedom of Movement).

As the remorhaz closes on Leena, Reli jumps to her defense, intercepting it. He has to move through the threatened squares of both the big and smaller remorhazes in the process.

The larger remorhaz bites down on him hard (natural 20 to hit, but a 1 on the critical confirmation!). Reli takes 41 bite damage as well as 44 fire damage. The creature then takes Reli entirely in his mouth, completely overpowering him as he did Christopher.

The smaller remorhaz bites at Reli as well. This one hits very hard (a critical, but this time confirmed!), latching onto Reli's leg in the process, Reli squealing in vicious pain. He takes an additional 61 bite damage and 32 fire damage from the hit. That last hit left Reli with a final squeal as well as a few minor spasms until his body relaxes, completely limp.

Leena sees this and is overwhelmed by tears. Not only in Reli dangling helplessly, he is not moving at all. The beast now looks ready to swallow him as it did Christopher.

This ends the 1st round. We are moving on to the top of the 2nd round. Dr. Nimm, you're (finally) up!

http://i877.photobucket.com/albums/ab339/rms7581/BattleMapII_zpsbf581805.jpg (http://s877.photobucket.com/user/rms7581/media/BattleMapII_zpsbf581805.jpg.html)

Dr_Nimm
2013-10-10, 08:23 PM
While heroes unleash mighty forces against colossal creatures, a tiny mumbling figure emerges from the obscurity, white hair fluttering wildly in the arctic winds. A weatherbeaten old gnome lifts his head to take in the sheer size of the monsters. "Hm." he grunts, as if they were a mere inconvenience.

He sees Reli get torn to bits. Greatly moved, he thinks to himself:

"That noble beast gave no thought to itself, but charged heedlessly at the first sign of danger toward its mistress. What little life remained in it is likely extinguished in the acidic environment of the gizzard of the remorhaz. Nevertheless, cutting Reli out will give me an opportunity to examine the remorhaz digestive system, something I've wanted to do for a long time."

DM: Am I aware that CM is also swallowed? Whats the wind speed and visibility?

DM7581
2013-10-10, 08:30 PM
Yes, Dr. Nimm saw everything that happened in the first round (though not the surprise round). Although visibility is a little limited due to the snow, these creatures are pretty hard to miss. Also, from what you know, creatures that can swallow whole often times do it while their prey is still alive, relying on their digestive juices to finish the job. Now, Reli is still dangling, not yet swallowed, but seems quite limp from your vantage point. There is a good chance that Christopher is still alive in there though...

On a side note... that small remorhaz only did it's attack of opportunity; it never got to actually strike at Leena as it intended to do for it's action. Luckily for her, it misses, snapping at her just over her head.

Wind speed is about 35 mph (severe wind). Speaking of wind, Dr. Nimm, I need you to make a Fort save to stay on your feet as you are trudging along. Visibility is limited to less than half normal range... I'd say about 100 feet in these conditions.

Dr_Nimm
2013-10-10, 08:53 PM
Fort 30. And Im small. Less surface area bro. Aerodynamic.

DM7581
2013-10-10, 09:24 PM
Okay, so Dr. Nimm is stable enough and tough enough NOT to get chucked by the heavy wind. What does he do? Time's a tickin...

Dr_Nimm
2013-10-10, 09:44 PM
Sadly, it would be illogical to assist Reli at this time, based on numerous calculations. The action with greatest probability of success is to keep Leena from the reach of the monsters, then help the unfortunate Mr. Michael.

Dr. Nimm reaches into his Personal Defense Organizer and withdraws a small satchel of dense powder, which he sprinkles on the end of his pipe. He takes a deep drag, and holds it for a moment.

Veins pulsate and he screams in agony. Vapor exudes from his body and crystallizes in the snow as the water is literally expelled from his cells, his body disintegrates into dust, yet held in suspension as an exact replica of himself.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/d/dust-form

"Don't worry everyone! I am perfectly safe. It is reversible. I think. It doesn't hurt anymore, in any case.

Anyway, these fascinating beasts are "Remorhaz" and they have special organs that sense vibrations in the ground, much like a Pit Viper, an obviously unrelated species.

LEENA come towards me, I will give you an elixir which will temporarily de-phlogistonate you and suspend the effects of gravity. You may then do as you please in relative safety."

I move towards Leena with a Fly Elixir in my hand. If she can't move without taking hits, I can deliver the elixir via touch once I arrive on my following turn.

DM7581
2013-10-10, 10:40 PM
Dr. Nimm does exactly what he describes. After taking Dust Form, he is able to move up to his speed (20 feet?) in the direction of the rest of the party. Be aware that as you are incorporeal, you must wait for the extract to wear off before any of your gear becomes solid and useable by anyone else (everything is also in Dust Form, though you have no problem accessing your own belongings).

Current initiative order:
Dr. Nimm
Leena
Bear Ghost
Christopher Michael
Big Remorhaz
Xavier
Remorhaz

Leena, you're up.

DM7581
2013-10-13, 12:24 PM
The smaller remorhaz on Xavier strikes on him once again, again bypassing his Mirror Image spell. He hits for 28 bite damage as well as 29 fire damage (adjust for damage reduction). It again attempts to bite down and hold on, but is unable to, shaking off it's confusion (Freedom of Movement).

As the remorhaz closes on Leena, Reli jumps to her defense, intercepting it. He has to move through the threatened squares of both the big and smaller remorhazes in the process.

The larger remorhaz bites down on him hard (natural 20 to hit, but a 1 on the critical confirmation!). Reli takes 41 bite damage as well as 44 fire damage. The creature then takes Reli entirely in his mouth, completely overpowering him as he did Christopher.

The smaller remorhaz bites at Reli as well. This one hits very hard (a critical, but this time confirmed!), latching onto Reli's leg in the process, Reli squealing in vicious pain. He takes an additional 61 bite damage and 32 fire damage from the hit. That last hit left Reli with a final squeal as well as a few minor spasms until his body relaxes, completely limp.

Corrections:

I incorrectly added in fire damage for the initial attacks, but it does not occur unless the creature is hit, is grappled, or has something or someone swallowed whole. The first one against Reli stands as it led to a grapple.

Reli still, however seems quite limp (almost as if he's given up), being completely overpowered.

Leena
2013-10-13, 01:43 PM
Oh no! Reli!!!! Nasty despicable worm!!!!

I swiftly move away from the insignificant sorry-ass remorhaz and cast my heal animal companion spell and yell out to Reli, "make this monster wish he never lived!"

17 tumble check for moving out of the threatened range.

DM7581
2013-10-13, 02:05 PM
Leena's Tumble check was just enough to move away from the smaller remorhaz that was threatening her. With a few arcane words and gestures, she casts her spell, touching Reli, who is instantaneously rejuvenated.

Reli's life force comes back at full strength.

Everyone can both see and hear the struggle that he is putting up with the larger creature, as his back legs attempt to kick itself out of the creature's grasp. He bites at it desperately from the inside, (though is unable to follow through with a trip), inflicting 27 points of damage. The extreme heat, though, causes him 21 points of damage.

A wave of relief passes over Leena as she sees Reli fight back, though he is still in quite the undesirable predicament.

Bear Ghost, you're up.

I want to remind everyone that all squares are to be treated as difficult terrain. This means that each square counts as 2 for the purpose of moving (Dr. Nimm is incorporeal, so he bypasses this) and that charging is not allowed. I gave Bear Ghost that last one due to the ridiculous Jump check. Remember that since each square counts as 2, there are no 5-foot steps allowed.

DM7581
2013-10-14, 04:58 PM
I have done some research in updating the current Skill system. Apparently 3.5 is way behind, so I want to implement a modified Pathfinder/Star Wars Saga Edition/4e skill system.

Skills

Class Skills give a +3 bonus, but there are no extra costs for purchasing cross-class skills. You no longer gain additional skills at first level. This is compensated by the +3 bonus you would get for a class skill.

Reduce class skill points allotted: 2 remains at 2, 4 reduces to 3, 6 reduces to 4, and 8 reduces to 5

Acrobatics (Dex): includes Balance, Escape Artist, Jump, Tumble
Alchemy (Int)
Appraise (Int)
Arcana (Int): includes Knowledge (arcana), Spellcraft, Use Magic Device
Athletics (Str): includes Climb, Jump, Swim
Bluff (Cha): includes Disguise
Concentration (Wis): includes Autohypnosis
Diplomacy (Cha)
Dungeoneering (Wis)
Heal (Wis)
History (Int)
Intimidate (Cha)
Linguistics (Int): includes Decipher Script, Forgery, Speak Language (works differently)
Nature: includes Handle Animal, Knowledge (nature), Survival
Perception (Wis): includes Listen, Search, Spot
Profession (Wis): includes Perform, Craft (armor smith, bow making, weapon smith)
Psionics (Int): includes Knowledge (psionics), Psicraft
Religion (Wis): includes Knowledge (religion), Spellcraft
Ride (Dex)
Sense Motive (Wis)
Stealth (Dex): includes Hide, Move Silently
Streetwise (Cha): includes Gather Information, Knowledge (local)
Thievery (Dex): includes Disable Device, Open Lock, Sleight of Hand

So, for example if you are a Cleric (Christopher Michael), there is no change to the number of skill points you receive, but since some skills have been folded into others, you may find yourself with extra points to spend. I tried to balance it so that classes that receive the least (2/level) skill points are not negatively affected, but in fact benefit while those who receive the most (the Rogue which is down to 5 from 8) do not have an excess (even when accounting for a Human bonus point or high Intelligence). I hope it's an improvement.

Dr_Nimm
2013-10-14, 06:54 PM
Interesting. I'll try it out and give you feedback.

Autohypnosis! Cool. Very Dr. Nimm-ish

DM7581
2013-10-14, 07:57 PM
Interesting. I'll try it out and give you feedback.

Autohypnosis! Cool. Very Dr. Nimm-ish

That is actually a Psionic skill, used to meditate and trance. I folded it into Concentration. I also changed Concentration from (Con) to (Wis). It was only a Constitution skill because they didn't have any. Constitution is important enough, though.

Dr_Nimm
2013-10-14, 09:07 PM
Makes sense

Bear_Ghost
2013-10-15, 06:19 PM
Bear Ghost leaps with a 57 on his jump check and attacks the one just north of Xavier. Roll to hit with power attack 5 .. 47/45/41/38/Nat 20(41)
Damage 66/58/59/61/219

DM7581
2013-10-15, 09:19 PM
Bear Ghost explodes out from the ice once again, easily clearing the image of Xavier, as well as the rough terrain that was blocking his charge to the closest remorhaz.

As he approaches the creature through the air, it strikes at him, this time true with it's attack of opportunity, dealing 20 points of damage. It attempts to catch him out of the air...

Bear Ghost, give me an opposed grapple check.

Dr_Nimm
2013-10-15, 10:12 PM
Lol how far do you jump w that? Oh wait in character;

"Egads! What a marvelous leap! How many leagues of distance did it measure?"

Dr_Nimm
2013-10-15, 10:13 PM
"Ha! A mere 20 points of damage is mediocre to Bear Ghost! He is surely not even aware!"

DM7581
2013-10-15, 10:31 PM
Lol how far do you jump w that? Oh wait in character;

"Egads! What a marvelous leap! How many leagues of distance did it measure?"

He only needed to clear 15 feet and his roll was good enough to clear over 25. That is a standing long jump. Pretty impressive by anyone's measure I say.

DM7581
2013-10-15, 10:38 PM
"Ha! A mere 20 points of damage is mediocre to Bear Ghost! He is surely not even aware!"

Is Dr. Nimm saying this? Negative roleplaying points. This isn't Final Fantasy where the damage numbers pop out of whoever is hit.

Dr_Nimm
2013-10-15, 10:48 PM
Lmao. With my supreme intellect I can calculate just how much injury someone sustains!

DM7581
2013-10-16, 12:13 PM
Lmao. With my supreme intellect I can calculate just how much injury someone sustains!

Hmmm... I wouldn't know of your supreme intellect given that I do not have a copy of your sheet yet.

Bear_Ghost
2013-10-16, 04:32 PM
Grapple Check: 57

Dr_Nimm
2013-10-16, 06:25 PM
Kord himself would have failed that grapple attempt! Remorhaz: all flame but no heat!

DM7581
2013-10-16, 07:36 PM
Indeed, even on a natural 20, the remorhaz would fails. It is ultimately unable to bite down and secure its hold on Bear Ghost as he is flying through the air, with bloodshot eyes. Just as he lands, he brings his axe down on the beast.

You can only use Dire Charge on the surprise or first round of combat. That is why I've touted the Pounce Alternate Class Feature. I appreciate the multiple rolls, but you only get one attack. I almost used them for cleaves on Xavier and his images.

With a single blow, Bear Ghost cleaves off the small, weakened remorhaz, landing near Xavier and his images. He looks at them all for a quick second, sneers, then directs his attention at the other 2 that remain.

I've wondered whether his Frenzy requires him to attack friends, but that is only after there are no other, more preferred targets.

Christopher Michael! I have not kept exact track of your HP, but I know that you are not negative. Although swallowed, you can still act, though you are restricted in what you can do:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm#grapple

You're up.

Dr_Nimm
2013-10-16, 09:20 PM
Nice descriptions

DM7581
2013-10-16, 09:32 PM
Nice descriptions

Indeed they are.

Christ. Michael
2013-10-17, 12:12 AM
(To myself) My weapon is too large to wield from within the beast. Any mortal would find themselves wallowing in despair, but not I. All is not yet lost, for I always have my ultimate weapon within reach: my faith. My only hope for salvation is to, once again, turn to my god.

From the belly of the beast, I utter a sound so terrible and awesome, that it cannot be produced in Common. In Celestial, I speak the true name of Pelor, and cast Holy Word. http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/holyWord.htm

I'm hoping that paralysis extends to peristalsis. I'll try to climb my out if my theory holds up. Or that I'll be able to move my hands cast a spell.

Dr_Nimm
2013-10-17, 09:40 AM
Oh snap!!!!!!

DM7581
2013-10-17, 10:06 AM
I'll still need a concentration check, DC 27 (DC 20 + spell level) in in order for you to cast. Maybe a chunk of bile gets lodged in your mouth at the most inopportune time. Gross.

Oh, and I'm assuming you are casting this at CL 20 (the cost being 20 SP)? Alternatively it could be your spell-like ability, which costs no SP, but is only useable 1/day.

Christ. Michael
2013-10-17, 11:19 AM
(12 + 30) 42 Concentration. 20 CL. I'm not taking any chances.

DM7581
2013-10-17, 11:56 AM
Amidst the chaos of the enormous beasts and powerful winds and snow, a slight calm seems to come over everyone (except the frenzied Bear Ghost, who at this point is foaming at the mouth). Almost as if time has slowed down, the muttering of an unmistakable, though unintelligible, "good" incantation can be barely heard by all followed by a soft, yellow glow, coming from inside the larger remorhaz. A moment later, a slight pulse of holy energy explodes in an enormous spread from its inside, brushing over everyone, with a feeling of hope, warmth, and goodness accompanying it. The harsh chaos of the snow, wind, and other elements then resumes.

All good characters are unaffected by the spell (which is mostly everybody), but the smaller remorhaz as well as Reli, Leena's trusted dire wolf animal companion, seem frozen in their tracks, unable to move. The larger beast, however, seems unaffected by the spell, though it does notice the power emanating from within it. That ends Christopher's turn.

--------------------

At that, the gargantuan beast completely swallows the now helpless Reli (inflicting 42 points of bludgeoning and 38 points of fire damage) and then proceeds to burrow itself back deep into the snow, disappearing underneath, seemingly content with its daily meal. Christopher also takes 36 points of bludgeoning and 38 points of fire damage as the creature continues to digest him.

Christopher, you feel a large, hairy body join you inside the creature's belly. The warm glow of the monster allows for some vision, as you can barely make out what seems to be the same large wolf you just "met" that was at the side of the elf along with Xavier and Bear Ghost. You can immediately tell that it is alive, but just then you realize that your spell also affects neutral creatures as much as it does evil ones. Luckily, the dire wolf is much tougher than others of its kind and it still lives, though it is temporarily blinded, deafened, and paralyzed, and is unable to defend itself at the current moment, which is quite the predicament.

--------------------

Xavier, you're up.

Dr_Nimm
2013-10-17, 12:23 PM
Where faith falters, science may prevail!

Xavier Alexis
2013-10-17, 02:44 PM
Xavier Alexis: No! Christoper!

Xavier Alexis flies into the hole in the ground in pursuit of the Remorhaz who devoured his friend and casts four maximized Ray of Enfeeblement spells in order to weaken the creature.

My ranged touch attack rolls are 28, 33, 23 and 29.

Each successful Ray of Enfeeblement drains 11 points of strength.

DM7581
2013-10-17, 05:37 PM
I may have made this mistake in the past, but the same penalty coming from the same or even different sources do not stack. That is, multiple castings of Ray of Enfeeblement (as well as any other effect that gives a strength penalty) are not cumulative. Only the highest penalty applies. You can edit your post, Xavier.

PHB page 171-172 details this and even uses Ray of Enfeeblement as a specific example!

Dr_Nimm
2013-10-17, 06:56 PM
I am beginning to have serious doubts about the legendary Xavier. But what can I expect from a sorcerer with no proper schooling in the magical disciplines!

Xavier Alexis
2013-10-17, 07:09 PM
Xavier to Dr. Nimm: I don't know what is happening. The laws of magic must have recently been altered in this realm! I have weakened creatures in this manner numerous times before.

I choose not to alter reality and end my turn.

Dr_Nimm
2013-10-17, 09:13 PM
Lol. Yes this realm is quite shifty. I too have experienced sudden changes.

Dr_Nimm
2013-10-17, 10:28 PM
Must be the unusual amounts of atmospheric micro-anomalies and magical antipole particles present in this area!

DM7581
2013-10-17, 10:50 PM
Xavier, steps off lightly and takes flight, over to the huge hole left behind by the larger remorhaz, his images floating near, around and through him, now concealing his location from others (there are 9 such Xaviers now). Now nobody knows who the true Xavier is (not even Xavier himself... j/k).

With a wave of his hand and a quick incantation, all of the "Xaviers" unleash a coruscating ray from their respective hands, all of which come together to seemingly strike the beast beneath the surface, as a loud, echoing grunt is heard throughout the frozen tundra.

That ends Xavier's turn. It would normally be the remaining, smaller remorhaz's turn, but it is frozen in paralysis due to the Holy Word spell.

To the top of the third round we go, to the incorporeal Dr. Nimm.

http://i877.photobucket.com/albums/ab339/rms7581/BattleMapIII_zps6605a1af.jpg (http://s877.photobucket.com/user/rms7581/media/BattleMapIII_zps6605a1af.jpg.html)

Initiative Order:
Dr. Nimm
Leena
Bear Ghost
Christopher Michael
Big Remorhaz
Xavier
Small Remorhaz (paralyzed)

I had been running this campaign using a modified spell point system on the SRD, but its intricacies have seemed to upset the locals. Those playing spellcasters (Xavier, Christopher, Dr. Nimm, and even Leena), please text, e-mail, or private message me with what your preference is on magic (points or slots). I have no issue going back to the spell slot system, so if that is what you all decide, we will disregard the crazy caster level and spell point rules in favor of the traditional format. The only changes that I ask stay in place are:

-divine casters will stay spontaneous. They are overpowered as it is, plus having a set of spells known makes them more flavorful and specialized, if a tad bit more narrow focused

-non-spontaneous casters (wizards, ALCHEMISTS) must still abide by some restriction on spells/extracts known. Again, this is a balance issue with having every "spell in the book" at your disposal, urging your character to have more consistent tendencies. I did resolve this through e-mail with Bryan (total spell/extract LEVELS known equal your level class level times your key ability modifier) since his character is the only one affected by this right now. So, for example, a level 20 Wizard with 30 (+10) Int should be able to have 200 spell levels worth of spells in his spellbook, divided however he sees fit. This makes higher level spells harder to learn, which they should be.

Alternatively, a prepared caster (or even divine casters, doing away witht he spontaneous casting thing) may be allowed to know a number of spells per spell level equal to their key ability modifier. That same 30 (+10) Int Wizard will be able to have 10 spells per spell level in their spellbook while a cleric or druid would have the same access of spells known (though they would have to prepare their slots as normal).

In either case, I may change the spell progression tables a bit to better adjust for these changes. At the very least, prepared casters (which may include the alchemist, though I am unsure about the paladin and ranger) will "lose" 1 spell across the board, with any 1s turning into 0s, 2s into 1s, and so on, meaning that, if its a 0, they only get a spell of that level if it is of their school of specialization (if a wizard; non-specialists in this case get none until the next level), domains (if clerics), or summon nature's ally (if druid).

Tell me which you guys favor. One allows for more flexibility at the cost of raw power (points) while the other (slots) limits flexibility for ultimately more casting power.

Dr_Nimm
2013-10-18, 03:46 PM
Break into a full run and jump down the hole. I clamber onto its back with the aim of entering its mouth. With dust form I can squeeze through a crack, and perhaps percolate through recently loosened earth, if the monster is under ground.

In fact, to save time, if its anus is closer to me I go through that instead.

DM7581
2013-10-19, 12:08 AM
Given his speed and the full move, Dr. Nimm is able to quickly make his way across the snow and even partially down the gaping hole left behind by the remorhaz. The barely visible gnome in his dust form dashes across the field, the pelting snow passing harmlessly through him.

The remorhaz itself has descended a good 20 feet or so beyond the surface, so Dr. Nimm is able to make it right on its tail, though not quite close enough to "percolate" into its anus (yes, it is facing the other way).

Leena, your turn.

DM7581
2013-10-19, 01:30 PM
Everyone, please check and read on any magic items that you may be carrying to see if they are continuous effects or if the need to be activated. I just read that Bear Ghost's Greater Cloak of Displacement needs to be activated (and only works up to 15 rounds per day), so he probably should have been bitten a few more times during this encounter (and even more so in previous encounters).

If a weapon has a property that requires activation, I will assume that it is activated at the beginning of the day, but only if it has a continuous effect (like a flaming weapon). Basically, your character wakes up and gets ready, carrying the weapon, activating it before he/she sets off. This may change if you are ambushed at night, so beware (bwahahahahaha).

If the item/effect can only last X rounds per day, that has to be activated using whatever type of action is described by the item, be it a swift, immediate, standard, or full round action.

DM7581
2013-10-19, 02:02 PM
Giselle is unable to participate due to her studying for her exam, so I will control Leena until she is ready to resume play.

Leena cries out in despair:

Reli! Nooo!

She clicks her boots together, activating her Boots of Speed, allowing her to quickly make her way over to the underground path, made by the remorhaz, across the rough obstacles of ice and snow. She jumps recklessly in as she draws and fires four of her Flaming Burst arrows (Manyshot attack roll 5+33, 38).

Her arrows connect (inflicting 22, 22, 20, and 26 points of damage) as the beast again bellows in agony.

I made a mistake in her bow being a wounding item; that property cannot be applied to ranged weapons, so she actually hasn't been doing Con damage :smallfrown:

She lands rather softly after jumping down (Athletics roll 12+27, 39), taking 3 points of falling damage (reduced from a 20 to a 10 foot fall) as well as 30 fire damage from the heat of the remorhaz. The heat burns quite a lot, as she lets out a scream of pain herself.

Bear Ghost, you're up. You have a smaller remorhaz that is a sitting duck (paralyzed) and the other that went burrowing as targets until you start turning on your friends.

Remember that you cannot use Dire Charge every turn (just the surprise or first round), so you get 1 attack. Make it a good one.

Dr_Nimm
2013-10-19, 09:28 PM
Most impressive. If only Xavier had the precision and artistry of Leena!

Bear_Ghost
2013-10-21, 01:57 PM
Bear Ghost goes after the smaller one with a bounding leap.. jump check 56. And
comes down with a devastating strike. With a 10 power attack, rolls 51 to hit .. damage roll 2+28(str)+ 120(power attack + leap attack)= 150

Leap Attack

You can combine a powerful charge and a mighty leap into one devastating attack.

Prerequisites: Jump 8 ranks, Power Attack.

Benefit: You can combine a jump with a charge against an opponent. If you cover at least 10 feet of horizontal distance with your jump, and you end your jump in a square from which you threaten your target, you can double the extra damage dealt by your use of the Power Attack feat. If you use this tactic with a two-handed weapon, you instead triple the extra damage from Power Attack.

This attack must follow all the normal rules for using the Jump skill and for making a charge, except that you ignore rough terrain in any squares you jump over.

DM7581
2013-10-21, 02:43 PM
Bear Ghost explodes from the ice once again, lunging toward the single, smaller (and paralyzed) remorhaz left standing. He needed to cover 25 feet in order to just make it.. and he did (the Jump check allows for 28 feet of coverage), circumventing the rough terrain and landing on the creature with a horrific blow, severing its head with but a single swipe!

Warm blood splatters all over Bear Ghost as he howls in fury, but then...

After landing (he had to land near the opening of the larger remorhazes hole in order to land the jump as it was the shortest distance and no other location would have allowed an attack) his footing starts to give way until...

Bear Ghost, follow this up with an Acrobatics (formerly a Balance) check.

You landed right at the square diagonal to the smaller monster (which is partially in the hole). You land the hit, but now must struggle to keep your balance and not fall in. I tried to see where else you could have landed, but if you choose any other square, your jump check falls short by 5 or more feet.

Bear_Ghost
2013-10-21, 05:47 PM
Balance Check: 21

DM7581
2013-10-21, 07:01 PM
As Bear Ghost lands with the immense power that he fell the creature with, the surface beneath him starts to buckle inward. He takes a small, but critical skip in the opposite direction as a chunk of the icy platform plummets a good 20 feet, melting instantly as it makes contact with the remorhaz burrowing bellow.

Bear Ghost peers back over his shoulder, taking a glance at his final hostile target, with a sneer, as he again composes himself.

The wind and snow has subsided somewhat, but all that has been revealed with everyone's newfound visibility is the upcoming sunset in the hazy distance beyond the western mountain picks. With the sun setting, the temperature drops even more so, if that's even possible.

Christopher, your go.

Christ. Michael
2013-10-21, 10:31 PM
(I don't have access to my weapon, nor most of my spells, unless you consider the somatic requirement on Cure spells simply laying hands on myself. If that's the case, I'll cast a cure serious wounds on myself, Concentration Nat 1 + 30. Otherwise, I'll curl up in the fetal position and continue praying.)

DM7581
2013-10-21, 10:40 PM
Remember that ALL of your half-celestial spell-like abilities simply require a concentration check, but have no other components.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/halfCelestial.htm

That said, you are still limited, but not helpless.

Christ. Michael
2013-10-22, 09:39 AM
To be fair, I did already roll a Concentration (Nat 1+30). Should I reroll? You know messing with time is risky business.

DM7581
2013-10-22, 10:31 AM
Ah, ok. The check is good for a 10th-level spell (DC 20+spell level). You can use any spell-like ability on your list.

Christ. Michael
2013-10-22, 12:46 PM
If that's the case, I'll cast Summon Monster XI and summon and Leonal http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/leonal.htm

DM7581
2013-10-22, 01:30 PM
Christopher Michael successfully begins to start casting his spell, as he concentrates in patience (it is a full round action, so the monster will appear before your next turn).

The remorhaz continues to digest Christopher and Reli. Christopher takes 26 crushing and 28 fire damage and Reli takes 28 crushing and 16 fire damage. The creature's body is noticeably weaker due to Xavier's spell, but still has plenty of raw power behind it.

Christopher, I need you to make a concentration check, DC 54 (I incorporated your 10/magic damage reduction as well as your 10 fire resistance into the calculation), in order to not lose the spell.

It is difficult to see Reli's state as he is still paralyzed...

The remorhaz, after feeling the commotion above it turns right around, striking at Leena. With a natural 20 on her Acobatics check (to keep her balance), she is miraculously able to run, keeping up with the burning body of the creature, as it positions itself, turning completely around, poised to strike at her.

And it does, catching her viciously entirely into its mouth. Leena lets out a scream as she is bitten down on, pinned, taking 32 points of damage. She is unable to free herself as the creature secures a hold.

Xavier, you're up.

Christ. Michael
2013-10-22, 01:57 PM
(2+30) 32 for Concentration

DM7581
2013-10-22, 02:03 PM
Pelor must be trying to humble you or something. Nothing is really going your way.

Dr_Nimm
2013-10-22, 04:17 PM
That's the trouble with religion...

Christ. Michael
2013-10-22, 07:52 PM
Pelor loves me, this I know. For the Light of Pelor told me so.

Dr_Nimm
2013-10-22, 08:35 PM
Pelor loves me, this I know. For the Light of Pelor told me so.

(Lol... He should get Xp for that)

Xavier Alexis
2013-10-22, 10:20 PM
Xavier Alexis to Dr. Nimm: I believe the time has come for me to put an end to your doubts, Dr. Nimm!

I cast three quickened and maximized Orb of Acid spells of 10d6 power on the Remorhaz that has swallowed Christopher Michael.

My ranged touch attack rolls are 37, 28 and 33.

Each successful hit inflicts 60 points of acid damage and requires a DC 28 Fortitude save from the Remorhaz to avoid becoming sickened.

For my standard, action I cast a maximized Orb of Acid spell of 15d6 power on the same Remorhaz.

My range touch attack roll is 35.

If this orb hits, this orb inflicts 90 points of acid damage and requires the same save throw requirement from the Remorhaz as my three quickened orbs.

DM7581
2013-10-22, 11:00 PM
Despite Xavier's inspiring words, as he casts his first (of many) Orb of Acids, nothing happens.

Xavier, the same fatigue starts to set in on you as you attempt your first Quickened and Maximized version. You follow up with the rest, in an effort to fire off the spell in your attempt to save your friend, but to no avail. You feel swept with slight lethargy (the same feeling that you awoke with), each time you attempt to cast, each time to no avail. No spell points are expended for these spells.

There is little time for you to "experiment" with this anomaly. Even Dr. Nimm (no Arcana check required) is confused as to exactly why the spells failed, as by all other senses, the casting of them was done with impeccable precision and poise.

Luckily, the last spell results (finally) in the creation of the orb which you quickly and frantically fling at the beast.

The orb strikes the creature in the face, exploding violently. It squirms and squeals horrifically as it drops Leena from its grasp (Acrobatics check 11+10, 21), but she lands on a ledge, her back against the icy wall.

The creature spasms one last time before it falls lifeless. Christopher feels this lifelessness, as the heat and muscular action previously digesting him subsides.

The combat sequence ends (or does it?).

I need Bear Ghost to make a Will save to break his frenzy. Xavier and his 8 images are the only visible targets.

Leena takes out a hand axe and frantically hacks away at the creatures underbelly, freeing both Christopher and Reli, who is still paralyzed. As part of the wrap up, she casts Heal Animal Companion again on him, curing his wounds and restoring his sight and hearing, but not the paralysis. She gives Christopher a quick glance and says "you're lucky..." before continuing to attend to Reli.

Xavier is in a bit of shock as his magic has failed him, continuing to levitate as he stares in bewilderment at his hands. This time it is not due to the spell point system, but rather something "different" about the realm. It seems that some external force has subdued a portion of his power.

You are all free to discuss and catch up with one another. Let's get at least one post by everyone (except Leena) until I move on.

Christ. Michael
2013-10-23, 03:20 PM
(Approaching her and Reli. I'll kneel beside her and make a motion to pat Reli, if she'll allow it.) "Yes, I am lucky, Leena, that you are on my side. Thank you for your help in freeing me. Your companion is a mighty beast, and should be free off the effects of my magic in a few minutes. He will suffer no lasting harm."

(Over my shoulder)"Xavier, what troubles you? You look as tired as my late grandfather, Pelor rest his soulwhere is Bear Ghost? Surely he did not allow himself to be eaten by these beasts."

I'll cast a maximized and empowered Cure Critical Wounds (CL 10) on myself (64+32+10) 106 HP as I start cleaning some of these gastric juices off of me.

Dr_Nimm
2013-10-23, 04:34 PM
Dr. Nimm solidifies out of dust form

Much better. I was trying to smoke but all I got was a lungful of dust. I shall have to design a special pipe that allows one to imbibe smoke incorporeally.

Puff puff.

I will now begin dissecting the Remorhaz to locate the glands or organs that generate such massive heat. Being insectoid in nature, I suspect that it evolved this in order to survive in such harsh cold. But it must take massive amounts of energy to do so. An ambush predator of this size cannot nearly get enough food by simply waiting around to power such a demanding body.

Aha! Unless it goes into a form of hibernation between feedings, slowing down its metabolism to nearly zero, only to wake up when a prey happens by. I shall name this:

Nimm's Reposing Remorhaz Theory!

I use heal on the party (43). I then use arcana (42) to try and decipher why Xavier is failing in magic. I remind you that since you mentioned its tied to this location, that I previously scored a 40+ on geography recently.

Drawing the magnification lenses down over my spectacles, I physically examine Xavier, using various magical measuring apparatus to rule out if the problem isn't some adverse condition within Xavier himself.

Bear_Ghost
2013-10-23, 05:52 PM
Bear Ghost Rolls 27 on his will save.

Bear Ghost to all: Snaps his head back quickly as he takes a couple of steps toward the party he seems to pause and take a deep breath. Steam comes out from under his helm. "Lick your wounds, for this is just the beginning."

Dr_Nimm
2013-10-23, 05:56 PM
"Let them come, Bear Ghost. Fear has no foothold where reason and knowledge illuminates. Have a seat and let me patch and disinfect your wounds. " (Heal 39)

Dr. Nimm regards Christopher Michael with great curiosity

"A Celestial... Astounding! You are a marvel to behold. Your very existence implies divine creation, yet I have never seen evidence of any gods to actually exist. With your permission, I would like to take some tissue samples for analysis."

DM7581
2013-10-23, 09:11 PM
Leena allows Christopher to pet her dire wolf.

I must apologize for my reaction. You have no idea what he means to me. You should be better careful with your magic. I saw what it did to him. What sort of creature are you, anyway?

A few minutes pass and the spell's paralysis expires. With Reli's help, Leena is able to climb out of the 20 foot pit. Christopher can easily fly out.

Dr.Nimm is able to isolate a curious organ that may be responsible for the creatures heat generating ability. Some blood samples may prove useful as well.

Dr. Nimm, aside form the excess ice all around you, how do you plan to store the organ? The blood can go in vials if you have any spare ones.

Christopher, your spell is Maximized and Empowered for free (Supreme Healing ability) as well as cast at +1 CL for free (finally a boon to the Spell Point system). Cure Critical Wounds cast at CL 10 (10 SP) would yield 32+2d8+11 HP of healing (45-59 HP; you're better off casting Heal). You cannot Maximize the Empowered amount-- it has to be rolled separately.

It seems that Xavier is still awe struck, as he is yet to respond to anyone...

It seems that dusk is upon you. In the distance, now that the weather has cleared up, to the east, you can see what looks or looked like a camp or settlement along the ridge of a nearby mountain.

Dr_Nimm
2013-10-23, 09:27 PM
I'm a super duper scientist! Of course I have numerous phylacteries, vials, test tubes and containers to store various specimens and samples, as that is the entire reason that I'm here! I am above such petty adventuring rationales such as revenge, bloodthirst, wealth, or other base desires. My wish is to catalogue and decipher everything in the Universe.

You mean how to preserve the organ? Alcohol. But since dusk is near, and it is cold, I will examine the organ while still fresh as we camp from the night and experiment w it. If the few hours downtime isn't enough, I'll stay up all night and take a fatigue penalty.

Xavier: My current theory on magical energy is due to a substance that permeates all things: phlogiston. Phlogiston is highly flammable and reactive. It is also what gives mass to all objects.

Notice that when you burn something, it becomes ash which can dissipate in the wind.

Similarly, when Xavier flies with magic, he is merely temporarily dephlogistonating his body. Similarly, when he casts a fireball, he condenses and channels nearby phlogiston. How magicians manage to do this is still unclear.

I suspect that this area, due to the extreme cold or some other factor, has low levels of ambient phlogiston. This may explain why Xavier's magic is faltering. Further data is needed.

Did I learn anything from my rolls analyzing this location and / or performing physical exams on Xavier?

Xavier Alexis
2013-10-23, 09:27 PM
Xavier Alexis to Dr. Nimm: Dr. Nimm, you seem to be very knowledgeable in the magical arts. Can you help me understand why my magical power seems to be waning?

DM7581
2013-10-23, 09:33 PM
Nothing about the location seems to suggest that magic is suppressed. The weather is perpetually in a winter season, but there is nothing else about the region that relates to magic or one's ability to cast spells.

DM7581
2013-10-23, 09:44 PM
Christopher Michael thinks to himself, magical power waning? Could my waning connection to the mighty Pelor be somehow related to my friend's arcane abilities? This is most troubling... especially if it affects others in the realm...

Xavier, you can make a Sense Motive check to notice something "off" about Christopher once you bring up the term "waning."

Dr_Nimm
2013-10-23, 09:45 PM
puff puff "Hmmm. I detect no anomalies in the environment, Xavier. The issue may lie within your physiology... Or ours."

"I suggest that we conduct a thorough search. Perhaps someone picked up a devious item recently that is suppressing nearby magical currents of phlogiston. Everyone search carefully and think hard."

I dedicate the next several hours to examining willing party members and their possessions, Xavier in particular, and the Remorhaz organ. I also attempt to identify and take a sample of the tremor sense organ. Doesn't seem like I will sleep so I'll take fatigue.

DM7581
2013-10-23, 10:23 PM
Leena is seen intensely scouring the area, whispering dragons slightly under her breath.

There were dragons here... and here. 4 of them. Probably whites... maybe silvers. No, the markings are those of whites, yes... one peed here she says, sniffing the area. Typical. They may have hunted recently here. This whole area is a wide open hunting ground. Maybe a few days ago (how she could determine this is uncanny). If it please everybody, I say we stay on the trail. Maybe rest the night...

She looks over to the broken camp off to the east.

What's wrong with him? nodding her head toward Xavier. Xavier, have you finally gone mad (sarcastically and almost bitterly), dragon-blood? (laughing to herself).

Xavier Alexis
2013-10-23, 10:47 PM
My Sense Motive roll is a 43.

Xavier Alexis to everyone: What are your thoughts on visiting Artemis? I am sure he may have some insight to what my problem may be.

Dr_Nimm
2013-10-24, 10:02 AM
Are you suggesting that someone knows more that I do!?! Hmph. Respect your elders, sir!

DM7581
2013-10-24, 10:02 AM
Xavier, you notice something quarrelsome about Christopher Michael as you mention your power waning. Maybe he knows something. He seems a bit lost in his own thoughts, though, as if a burden has been placed on him.

Christopher?

Xavier Alexis
2013-10-24, 11:40 AM
Xavier Alexis to Dr. Nimm: I would never suggest such a thing my good doctor. I merely meant our friend Artemis may possess "different" knowledge, not more.

Xavier Alexis to Christopher Michael: What is troubling you, brother? Let us work together to figure this out!

Christ. Michael
2013-10-24, 12:10 PM
Before I speak to my companions, I would like to make a Knowledge Religion check (29+8) 37. I know a deity's strength is correlated to their numbers of followers. Does the same apply to dragon deities? How does that affect those of dragon blood like Xavier?

DM7581
2013-10-24, 11:22 PM
Christopher, you know very well that a deities power and influence is derived directly from not only how many followers that deity has, but also how devout those followers are. The same does apply to dragon deities (Bahamut and Tiamat), but the dragon deities do not control how well (if at all) mortals wield arcane magic (they do have a say in divine, however).

Although divine magic is granted by all of the deities to their clerics, in order for mortals to even wield magic (including arcane), the three deities who govern magic (Boccob, We Jas, and Vecna) must allow it. Boccob has the strongest "say" in these matters, as he is the most powerful of the 3, so if he alone would be weakened, magical ability across the realm may be compromised.

It is possible for all or some of the deities to not "grant" magic, but due to rivalries and conflicts with those with differing agendas, they never have.

Now you, specifically, have been feeling somewhat of a disconnect with Pelor. It has not affected any of your spells as far as you know, but something about the realm seems off... more gritty. It's as if the sun is not burning as bright as it used to or random acts of kindness have become a thing of the past.

Now, you are uncertain whether what you are experiencing is the same or different than Xavier, but it is quite clear that a larger scale threat is afoot. The question is, by whom?

-----

Leena: it is starting to get dark. Do you all want to camp out in the settlement (pointing to the east)? Let's at least make camp and then maybe see if this Artemis guy can help out... I really don't want to risk another run in with these remor-thingies.

Dr_Nimm
2013-10-25, 06:10 PM
Is remor-thingies her lv 20 ranger speaking?

Dr_Nimm
2013-10-25, 06:12 PM
Dr. Nimm regards Lenna with squint eyed suspicion through the haze from his pipe...but says nothing.

DM7581
2013-10-25, 06:47 PM
Is remor-thingies her lv 20 ranger speaking?

She doesn't know much of them, other than what you guys have told her. Her field of expertise is in dragons and giants. Not so much knowledge of them, but how to kill them.

Dr_Nimm
2013-10-25, 11:20 PM
Naturally. Ignorance breeds hatred. Seems like Leena may benefit from a few courses at a Gnomish university!

DM7581
2013-10-28, 01:59 PM
Yes, it was for us too, but still waiting on Christopher's post (follow-up to the knowledge check).

Did you want to respond/share anything with the rest of the party? I'll start using private messages for individual knowledge/findings.

DM7581
2013-10-28, 10:52 PM
Leena has suggested making camp. You guys are mid conversation, but that could take place while you are moving on. The ground below you all rumbles a bit and you hear a horrific trill echoing in the dark distant valley.

What do you do?

Dr_Nimm
2013-10-29, 08:12 AM
I'm conducting my examinations, with or without a camp.

Christ. Michael
2013-10-29, 03:37 PM
(Sorry for the delay)

"I confess to you friends the reason I have ventured fom Elysium: there is an unknown threat that might destabilize the Shining One. My greatest fear is that Vecna's undead forces are rallying. Such a shift in this plane's balance would hamper my ability to communicate with my god. Unlike Xavier, my abilities have not been affected...yet."

"I think Leena suggestion to make camp is a good one."

Dr_Nimm
2013-10-29, 04:52 PM
I personally find the undead rather fascinating. How they manage to phosphorylate adenosine diphosphate without active mitochondria is still a scientific mystery. "Magic" is a lazy answer. I eagerly await these mindless minions.

DM7581
2013-10-29, 11:58 PM
Ok, so everyone catches up a bit. I think Christopher meant Nerull rather than Vecna (Nerull is truly Pelor's opposite, though Vecna is evil as well; Nerull is the evil deity while Vecna was a lich who ascended to godhood).

Regardless, you make your way through the valley toward the base of the northeast mountain nearby. Apparently there was a camp laid out there, but it looks to have been abandoned months or even years ago. The tents and huts here are all but bare, barely even standing, though set in a position to withstand much if the harsh weather.

Leena (no longer being played by me) kicks at the scraps around the fire places. Nothing noteworthy is here. Bear Ghost is able to recognize some tribal markings and charms scattered about, but they are of another nearby tribe. This was possibly a resting point for previous scouts or adventurers belonging to that tribe or even a small outpost.

The face of the mountain, however, now that you are all near, has about half a dozen polar bear and large, white wolf (winter wolf) corpses scattered neatly around. The creatures are very much dead, though semi-preserved and even partially iced over due to the cold. There is something odd about them, though. It seems as if they have been completely consumed, though their bones and pelt remain cleanly intact (think a victim of a chupacabra).

There is a cave entrance with neatly fashioned runes in a foreign tongue decorating the almost perfectly shaped, oval opening. You all hear the echo of a deep bellow, almost grunt-like, followed by the sound of someone or something shuffling about within. It is especially cold here, despite the area being better protected from the icy drafts.

At this point the sun has gone down, limiting visibility, while the whistling wind continues to be interrupted from time to time by unknown beasts which continue to lurk out in the vast wilds.

What do you all do?

Christ. Michael
2013-10-30, 06:56 AM
As we get closer to the cave, I'll pick up a rock and put it in my pocket. I'll also use my racial ability and attempt to detect evil within the cave.

DM7581
2013-10-30, 10:18 AM
There are small stones and pebbles scattered around as well as larger, fist-sized chunks of icy rock. You can grab any sort of size you wish, more or less.

As you concentrate within and around the cave, you are unable to detect any presence or auras of evil. The range of the effect is limited and it is uncertain how deep the cave goes into the mountain. The runes themselves, however, do not radiate evil.

Between you all, you can decipher that the runes are written in alternating Aquan (the language of water-based elemental creatures, which uses the Elven alphabet) and Auran (the language of air-based elemental creatures, which uses the Draconic alphabet) symbols. Does anybody speak these languages?

Dr_Nimm
2013-10-30, 12:19 PM
"Smoke and mirrors. These things calling themselves gods are powerful beings, to be sure, but I have yet to find evidence that they control the very laws that they themselves are subject to. Perhaps a few of them have learned a way to suppress magic in order to spite those who displease them. More tricks.

It's all in your head Xavier. No god controls you or your gifts.

Please do not tamper with the cave until I have examined these corpses."

I examine the chupacabra corpses with great interest and from the vantage point of several disciplines DM, choose what you find most relevant.

Knowledge nature 40
Arcana 47
Heal 49

I then survey the cave exterior.

Geography 35 to recall facts about this particular cave.
Arcana 39 for additional knowledge about the cave, the writing, and any clues as to what lives inside it if it is a magical creature.

Nature 47 for the same

Dungeoneering 36. Safety of the cave and clues to what is inside.

I never chose languages, and I can't recall if I have decipher script.

I make an intel check 17 to read it. If it doesn't work, I take a comprehend languages elixir. Hate to resort to cheese techniques but Im not down for another surprise.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/c/comprehend-languages

DM7581
2013-10-30, 01:09 PM
Dr. Nimm takes some time surveying the area. This place seems to have been in fact an outpost of some sort, with its inhabitants long gone or dead. The cave seems to be a fairly recent structure. It is unknown whether whatever exists in the cave ever encountered the tribesmen.

Regarding the corpses, they were consumed in an unusual fashion. The manner in which they were suggests they were consumed by an intelligent creature, especially considering how "well kept" they are. Nothing you have ever encountered or have studied, Dr. Nimm, has ever displayed such mannerism or behavior. Your best bet is that it is some rare and obscure extraplanar race of being, either from the elemental plain of air or water.

From the outside, the cave doesn't seem treacherous, but rather more of a den or dwelling.

Your Int check has only let you decipher the language/origin of the script, but don't feel cheesed with your elixirs.

Dr. Nimm prepares a concoction very quickly, almost in a frustrating fashion, and takes a swig. His pupils dilate, reflecting how the mixture pulses directly into the section of his brain that controls language. Dr. Nimm, your vision blurs for a quick second, which you shake off immediately, as the previously incomprehensible runes now suddenly make perfect sense. They read:

Intruders beware! This sanctuary is devoted neither to those seeking wealth nor power... Unless it comes in the form of knowledge, which is the source of both true wealth and power!

Dr_Nimm
2013-10-30, 04:07 PM
I repeat that info to the team.

"I can't wait to see what's inside! Yet things aren't always what they seem. I suggest that we first attempt communication rather than barging in on an extraplanar being's living space. If we enter, enter cautiously but not aggressively."

Xavier Alexis
2013-11-01, 01:52 PM
Xavier Alexis to Dr. Nimm: Thank you for your input but I am not even sure how I can create the magical effects I am able to create. I only know I have been able to create them since childhood and they have only become more powerful with age. That being said, if you believe it is in my head, what could you suggest might fix my problem?

Xavier Alexis to everyone: I agree with Leena, let us make camp in an area she determines is safe for us.

In the meantime, I practice my spells in an attempt to see what works and what doesn't under Dr. Nimm's observation.

I will also attempt to remember if I have ever heard or read about something of this nature happening before. My Knowledge Arcana roll is 51.

DM7581
2013-11-01, 09:42 PM
Xavier, all you can recall is that deities themselves may influence the ability for mortals to wield magic, but such a thing has never been experienced, only spoken about.

Do you all set up camp or enter the seemingly inhabited cave? Xavier can experiment fully when you all settle for the night, but not while contemplating your next move.

I haven't heard from Leena or Bear Ghost...

Dr_Nimm
2013-11-01, 11:19 PM
I observe Xavier casting like he asked, taking measurements with magical crystals and lenses, having him cast into reactive chemicals, etc. (arcana 47)

"Xavier: your prowess is notable, even in this crippled state. Rest assured that science will prevail. It's a matter of applying simple deductive reasoning. Until further evidence is known, the cause of your handicap is either external or internal; some malignant entity or force is dampening your abilities or the problem is some psychological or physical disease*

In any case, I have designed a crutch for you: a procedure which may restore some of your powers artificially, until we can find a cure. The heat gland from the Remorhaz can create tremendous amounts of magical energy. It is a truly remarkable organ.

I can attempt to infuse a peice of this gland with your own blood in a modified base of the Amplify Elixir. (Alchemy check 67)

This will attune it to your own body and make it more magically reactive. I can then perform an operation on you to graft the infused Remorhaz gland into your adrenal glands. The energy created by the gland will hopefully supplement your own, thereby reducing some of your symptoms.

However, for the gland not to incinerate your kidneys, Ill have to uncouple it from its primary function, which will make it unstable. The results may be... Interesting.

(Heal check pending DM and player approval)

If you begin to suffer adverse effects, I can always remove the graft. My medical expertise and Christopher Michael's healing powers will ensure your safety, provided you don't nova or disintegrate but the probability of that hapenning is remote."

I'll forfeit my rest, if needed, in order to do these things.

*I made a high heal check on you to check for magical disease a few posts back but I never got a reply from DM, so I guess it was inconclusive.

DM7581
2013-11-02, 10:08 AM
Leena scouts the area (still waiting on her post), and finds an ideal spot to make camp. It is just behind one of the larger huts, but grants some visibility both to the open wilderness as well as to the opening of the cave. This allows you all to stay out of visual sight of what ever denizens might be out there, but allows for you to see them coming in case they do come across you.

Xavier and Dr. Nimm start experimenting with his magic. It becomes quickly apparent what is wrong, though not so much why. Xavier has lost the ability to cast his most powerful spells. Out of game, although he retains the appropriate spell points, 9th-level and higher spells, or even lower level spells manipulated to take a higher level "slot" are somehow inaccessible. This is not an anti-magic effect, either. It is as if a low level caster tries to cast a spell above his ability-- the spell simply fails.

If Xavier is willing, Dr. Nimm can graft a chunk of the gland onto Xavier. I will allow for meta-magic effects to be able to be cast at no additional cost so that will temporarily alleviate Xavier's issue. The tissue has been cleaned and handled well enough to ward off disease, but this is a highly irregular, cross-species experiment, so it is uncertain whether any additional side-effects, if any, may manifest. Only a direct test will reveal that.

Does anyone else want to handle any business or do anything before you all settle down? I believe that Xavier does not require sleep, but he must still rest to recover his SP (as well as most everyone else), so it is okay for him to stand watch. Leena also only requires 4 hours of trance, so she can stay up and stand watch with Xavier after she rests. She will cast the Alarm spell when everyone is settled.

Xavier, do you agree with the procedure? The grafts will be large, so it may protrude out of your sides, sitting right above your adrenal glands on both sides of your abdomen, right under your arm pits.

And everyone else? Once you rest, its XP time.

Dr_Nimm
2013-11-02, 12:55 PM
"Dieties, schmieties.... It's all a scam."

DM7581
2013-11-02, 10:58 PM
Is Dr. Nimm taking a stand against organized religion? I'm sure Christopher Michael isn't too happy about that...

Bear_Ghost
2013-11-02, 11:28 PM
"They are very real Nimm." I set down the weapon in front of me. "This here is all the proof I need. I have proven myself on many battlefields. Kord took notice. Even when I thought he had abandoned me, it was only to test my mettle. And though I may fall in battle today or 10 years from now, I am content that my place among them will have been earned."

Dr_Nimm
2013-11-03, 10:28 AM
"Bear Ghost: I have no doubt that they are real. A king is also real, yet ironically his status and control is given to him by the very same people who live in fear and submission of him.

As your friend, I will not attribute your achievements to anyone else but you. To do so will show a lack of esteem for your tremendous tenacity and skill. You don't have to prove yourself to anyone, not even Kord.

And why would Kord need to test you? That seems rather petty of him. Also, he seems a bit too violent for my taste.

Perhaps he can hear me saying this now, and will exact some form of revenge on me, but that will only prove my previous point.

I do find Pelor and my native Garl Glittergold to be one of the more reasonable and humane faiths, although some disciples of Pelor are tiresome in their excessive self righteousness (no offense). Virtue should exist for its own sake.

Believe in your god if it brings you strength and comfort, but beware of blind submission, ignorant conviction, the will of one over the masses, the will of the masses over one, and acts done through fear of reprisal rather than through wisdom and knowledge, for that will water the seeds of evil."

Xavier Alexis
2013-11-04, 05:56 PM
Xavier Alexis to Dr. Nimm: Thank you for your offer but I would rather not subject myself to any experiments. I will just have to make due with my current capabilities until we can figure out why it is happening.

To DM: So, my limitation is I am not able to cast any spells or use metamagic to produce a 9th level or higher spell at this time? In other words, I can only augment using metamagic or cast a spell of 8th level and lower?

Dr_Nimm
2013-11-04, 08:46 PM
"Awwww come on! Don't be a pansy! It will be fun! Wenches love Remorhaz adrenal glands!"

Christ. Michael
2013-11-06, 09:50 AM
"Fortunately, one of Pelor's tenants is to be tolerant of others - believers or not. Strength and comfort are to be found in His light. Kindness is what he preaches. What I fight for in the service of my god is the defense and promotion of these virtues."

Leena
2013-11-06, 11:22 AM
I'm amused with all the bickering, but quickly find a spot with Reli and begin to trance.

We both need to rest and be well prepared for our next battle..
I encourage them all to rest....they're going to need it. I am sure of it.

Dr_Nimm
2013-11-06, 03:05 PM
I know you feel it,
Just traaaaance!

DM7581
2013-11-06, 08:26 PM
Ah...

So after the calming of the crazy weather, night starts to fall. You all catch up and discuss issues in the realm with magic and Xavier's inability to cast his most powerful spells. Leena scouts out an ideal spot to make camp and everyone settles in.

A quaint camp fire is made and you all catch up even further with your latest exploits, especially to newly joined Christopher, while he even recants some of the early days of his adventuring career with Xavier, some 15 or so years ago (its been about that long in game time!).

Nothing passes throughout the night other than distant howls of the wolves or wind (it is hard to differentiate), horrible trilling heard echoing miles into the darkness, and other creepy crawlies that one would expect to live in such an environment (which honestly isn't much).

XP time!

I will break up experience a bit to match the flow of how the game ran. The first segment dealt with initially leaving the camp and ran up until after the encounter with the copper wyrmlings. Only Xavier, Bear Ghost and Leena were present for that. I will award a partial roleplaying bonus to Leena simply for the classic "eyes full of hate line" and her devotion to her theme. It still gets me. Kudos, Yum. Xavier will earn a small bonus for guessing the riddle as well.

Xavier: 2250
Bear Ghost: 1650
Leena: 2150

The second part dealt with the meeting of everyone and the surprise attack by the remorhazes, which ended up being quite a handful as Reli and Christopher nearly perished. I will award a partial roleplaying bonus to Christopher for his poise in having hung in there with his faith never wavering and also for being a good sport, as he kinda was the victim of very poor die rolls (and very good die rolls against him), spending pretty much the entire encounter swallowed. Kudos. The full roleplaying bonus is awarded to none other but Dr. Nimm. It seemed that he always had something productive/humorous to say (whether aloud or in his head), though he did speak out of turn a few times too many. Double kudos to you, sir.

Xavier: 6600
Bear Ghost: 6600
Leena: 6600
Christopher: 7200
Dr. Nimm: 7600

Remember that you still have some unanswered questions/quests that need resolving. I will list them here:

-Mostly everyone: dragon quest ("convert" white dragons in this region, assisted by green); Ridion/Guardian quest (Nehlrus' former companions, the "guy" who assaulted you outside of the village near Teleroth Baine's keep)

-Xavier: dragon quest; powers fading; still have not contacted/resolved issue with brother

-Bear Ghost: dragon quest; issues with tribe (remember the captive Titania and her dire lion pet, Leandro)

-Leena: dragon quest; ongoing quest against dragons/giants

-Christopher: indirect Pelor quest (disconnect, powers fading, nonspecific extra-planar balance issues)

-Dr. Nimm: dragon quest; discovering the secrets of the universe

Xaxier, throughout the night, you do hear shuffling nearby, though in the darkness. No one awakes. Even Leena mildly twitches in her trance through it, while Reli gently growls in his slumber. You hear what sounds like a dragging. As you peer over to the cave, you can barely make out a large shadowy figure, nearly 8-feet tall, dragging what looks like a large polar bear into the cave with the runes. No specific details or characteristics can be made out at this time. I suspect you do nothing, as it was rather quite and nothing else occurs throughout the night...

Day breaks and everyone awakes, well rested (full HP/SP). What do you all do?

Dr_Nimm
2013-11-07, 08:03 AM
Dr Nimm starts of his morning right with coffee, whiskey, tobacco, and a snort of cocaine. He takes a deep breath of the fresh morning air and offers some to his friends.

"Anyone want some? It really opens up the lungs in the morning. Most refreshing. I also have moonsilver, bard's tea, black orchid extract, zerk, elven brandy, dwarven mead..."

With the pipe still in his mouth he then begins a series of elaborate stretches and exercises designed to increase circulation to his brain. He then sets to reviewing his notes, preparing elixirs and bombs and polishing his tools, while twitching and mumbling to himself or some imagined person.

Christ. Michael
2013-11-11, 11:12 PM
I'll reject Dr. Nimm's offerings and perform my morning prayers just as the sun peaks over the horizon.

"Thank you, merciful Pelor, for seeing me through the remorhaz, just as you saw Jorzen through the belly of the whale. Lend me strength to smite those who would work against you, and to defend the honest and true. Allow me to be your instrument and spread your love to all, O Shiny One."

Dr_Nimm
2013-11-12, 04:56 PM
As Dr. Nimm prepares his extracts for the day on his portable lab, he mutters constantly and incoherently. As he does this, he stares at the party members over his glasses, which perch on the end of his nose. His ordinary slight derangement is amplified into neurosis by his copious morning doses and the fumes from his extracts. Eyes twitching, hands trembling, he somehow manages to measure and mix various formulae with unnatural speed and accuracy, while carrying a conversation with himself.

He regards Christopher Michael in particular, and occasionally coherent words can be heard if one were listening carefully to the illustrious all knowing sage:

mumble mumble "... No fun at all..." mumble "heaven must be awfully boring..." mumble "... Farmhands..."

He tucks vials of catalysts and powders into special pockets in his vest. Weapons, a wrench, crowbar, and other tools clipped in his belt. He dons goggles over his eyes to protect against the snow and possible explosions, and picks up his walking stick.

"Ready! Xavier; let's teleport to the nearest brothel! I have a very selective elixir of giant growth we need to try!"

Xavier Alexis
2013-11-13, 04:27 PM
Xavier Alexis to Dr. Nimm: A brothel does sound fun but we have some pressing concerns to deal with first.

Xavier Alexis to everyone: What do you say we deal with these White Dragons?

Xavier to Leena: Do you know how far we are from the White Dragons?

Dr_Nimm
2013-11-13, 05:16 PM
To Xavier: "Well if you had done the surgery I proposed you'd be strong enough to freeze time, teleport us, screw ourselves silly and be back before tea time and no dragons or anyone else would be the wiser!

Oh well, 'In for a penny, in for a pound!'"

Dr. Nimm pulls out a flask and takes a long swig, then sprinkles some suspicious powder into the lit end of his magic pipe.

DM7581
2013-11-24, 01:00 PM
Hello all.

Been away for a week, but picking right back up. I've read from Xavier, Christopher, and Nimm, but I'm missing Bear Ghost and Leena. Post up!

Bear_Ghost
2013-12-05, 07:11 PM
Bear Ghost is ready to break some dragons. I've heard the White ones are very beast like. Talking to them might be quite difficult.

Leena
2013-12-05, 08:26 PM
Woke up from my trance, regain my spells, and meditate.
During the night I went hunting for some food (5+30=35) so I prepare breakfast for myself and Reli...

Is everyone ready to set foot?

Before responding to Xavier...

To DM-
Will my tracking ability let me know how far or the location of the white dragons?
12+38=50

DM7581
2013-12-05, 08:51 PM
Or it seems like it was.

All awake (or un-trance) refreshed. The weather is pleasingly mild today-- still cold and slightly windy, but not enough to obscure vision or hearing like the day before.

Everyone goes about their morning routines. Leena is able to scavenge some small fowl a few miles out without any issue. This is sufficient for breakfast. Although she seems to have preferred fruits and berries, none were available in the area.

As part of her hunt, Leena revisited the remorhaz area. She was able to determine that all of the dragons that she can pick up on having been there took flight to the west/northwest. This is as good an indication as any as to which direction these dragons may be located. I won't quite put her check (50) on par with Prince Humperdinck's ability to "track a falcon on a cloudy day" just yet, but maybe soon.

Bear Ghost seems eager to smash some dragon skulls and it seems that Leena is too eagerly preparing her weapons with a nigh impossible-to-hide jubilant demeanor.

Xavier is yet to describe what he's seen the previous night, but before he could get to it, a loud stomping can be heard. All but Dr. Nimm (I rule that his immersion in his preparations kept him otherwise preoccupied) notice a very strange beast coming from the foot of the cave. It looks almost like a cross between a dwarf and a frost giant. It has nearly translucent, icy, crystalline skin (think Iceman) with white hair, sharp claws, and a prehensile tail. It stands about 8 feet tall and is wearing minimal, primitive rags, carrying very little else.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/mm2_gallery/88268_620_72.jpg

It looks around, the fog of its breath seen as it widens its mouth and lets out a loud, bellowing yawn. Just then, it looks around the foot of the cave and seems to notice tracks in the snow, which lead back to the abandoned camp where you all are. It quizzically tilts its head trying to peer around and investigate. You all can act (no initiative roll) before he goes any further.

Bear_Ghost
2013-12-06, 12:17 PM
Bearghost says to the Frost Dwarf Giant?: Hey, you seen some White Dragons around here?

DM7581
2013-12-06, 01:44 PM
Bear Ghost steps up, fearless (not sure if the rest of you chose to hide or not) and questions the creature. He doesn't seem to notice anyone else at this point. In turn, the massive creature steps slowly forward, responding with a deep, booming voice...

A bold one you are... no pleasantries or explanation as to why you are creeping around MY home, my domain. Very well, then. I see you have some friends. I presume you are here in peace and good spirits and are not here to worship these dragons you speak of, or their despicable god...

As he speaks, the air around him seems even more cold and more dry than the natural area, as if he is exuding frost. He slowly begins to approach.

Dr_Nimm
2013-12-06, 02:25 PM
Bearghost says to the Frost Dwarf Giant?: Hey, you seen some White Dragons around here?

Lmao!!!!!!!

DM... Do I notice him now with the booming voice or is Nimm that old now that he is deaf? (Teasing)

DM7581
2013-12-06, 02:43 PM
Dr. Nimm, while you did not catch him coming out, yawning, looking around, etc., you definitely heard Bear Ghost speak out to him as well as his response. Again, he seems to have only noticed Bear Ghost, which reminds me that Reli starts to emit a low growl, which stops the creature in his tracks.

(To Bear Ghost) What sort of beast do you travel with little one?

Dr_Nimm
2013-12-06, 04:14 PM
Do I recognize what he is? I take 10 on knowledge, that's a 42 on all but knowledge religion, which I scoff at, as I am a modern, evidence based gnome.

DM7581
2013-12-06, 05:13 PM
Well, the only thing that comes to mind as you peer over is that this is a rare, extraplanar creature known as an Immoth. They originate from either or both of the elemental planes of cold and air (probably a common, overlapping area of these planes where it is extremely cold).

Your check reveals nothing else.

Dr_Nimm
2013-12-08, 05:08 AM
Thinks to himself "[I]it must be the most obscure creature in the multiverse if that is all I know about it with such superbly executed knowledge. Hmmm[I]"

Dr Nimm strides up to the Immoth and addresses it

"Hello sir! My name is Dr. Phineas P. Nimm. Perhaps you've heard of me. We come in peace, unless you are a white dragon. Furthermore We were not "creeping" around your domain. We were camping here in plain sight, clearly unengaged in any clandestine subterfuge.

And one would also assume that the boundaries of your domain extend to the mouth of the cave, which would be logical. If you would kindly point out the exact boundaries of your domain, we will gladly remove ourselves to a point immediately beyond it, if it suits your fancy.

Furthermore, one may also make the case that since this is our plane of origin and not yours, you could be, if one were to subscribe to this argument, residing in our domain. But I merely present this perspective as a philosophical stimulus. It would be rude of us to intrude upon your domicile. We are grateful for your hospitality.

We are hunting some white dragons. I think. I'm never quite clear on what's going on, I'm just here to expand the horizons of knowledge for the betterment of all living beings. No big deal.

Speaking of which, the inscription on your cave references to those who seek knowledge. I would like to explore the meaning of that inscription with your permission. I wanted to ask you some other things, but I seem to have forgotten. Care for a refreshment? I have a vast selection...."

DM7581
2013-12-08, 10:38 AM
The creature seems to loosen up a bit with Dr. Nimm having stepped forward. He approaches, in kind, and kneels to be a bit more eye-level before he addresses him. The aura of cold is noticeable, but not overbearing.

Ah, so there is some sense left in this realm. It has been some time since I have received visitors. The last ones, that is, those who camped on this very site were quite...

(looking at Bear Ghost for a second)

Animalistic and hostile. Yes, I do suppose it is I intruding on your realm... So it seems

(he sighs, as if recalling some painful memory, then pauses, in thought before shaking his head slightly, as if snapping out of it)

Oh, forgive my rudeness, little one. I am Ingron and you all must be freezing in such... Unpleasant weather as prefered by your kind. What say you I take you up on that beverage and we discuss matters pertaining to these dragons you seek, though in the comfort of my very humble abode? Your friends are welcome too.

Ingron then stands up, his claws and tail now seeming less demonic than previously assumed, and gestures for you all to join him in his cave.

Dr_Nimm
2013-12-08, 11:15 PM
Still twitching from the morning victuals, I prepare a cocktail sure to tickle the fancy of an elemental of water and air: nitric aether, inflammable oxygen, and muriatic salts bound to quicksilver. (Alchemy 56, standard action)

Hand it to Ingron. I hold up my own cocktail, toast to him, and drink. However, unlike his, Mine happens to be an http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/d/discern-lies

DM7581
2013-12-09, 12:53 PM
Ingron takes the peculiar concoction and gives it a slight whirl and sniff, squinting his eyes, almost suspiciously at Dr. Nimm. He hesitates for just a moment, until his eyes widen, when it's aroma hits.

My, my, my good doctor. I hope this tastes as superb as it smells... Bottoms up!

He takes a swig and smacks his lips together in satisfaction, wiping away any excess with his arm.

You will have to share the recipe. It's pleasantly bittersweet, but with a fine ethereal composition. Very impressive. Well, won't you join me inside then, this wilderness is far too treacherous for the likes of me.

He begins to walk inside, beckoning you all to follow.

Dr_Nimm
2013-12-09, 07:47 PM
"FINALLY someone with taste and class! My friend never drink what I offer them. They just don't "get it" Ingron!" So pleased am I that I let my guard down and walk right in.

Christ. Michael
2013-12-10, 01:12 PM
I'll follow suit, though I'm naturally suspicious of beings that dwell underground.

"I hope you know what you're doing, Doctor."

Dr_Nimm
2013-12-10, 09:49 PM
I blow my pipe smoke away from Christopher Michael, then if it's possible (like we aren't close to Ingron and he's talking to
someone else), mutter to CM privately:

"I know perfectly well what -I- am doing. However, I do not know what our host is up to, but that's the fun part! The universe is full of probabilities within probabilities! Although I trust Ingron, I have already formulated several contingencies should hostilities arise. Here, take this."

I hand CM a http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/m/mislead

"I have never spoken with a Celestial... There is much that I would like to ask you, if and when appropriate."

Bear_Ghost
2013-12-12, 12:23 PM
Bear Ghost says, it seems you are right on all accounts Ingron. We seek the Dragons. And I seek to bury my axe in what they worship. There is an unbalance in these lands because of it and I owe a debt. And thank you, it is rather cold out there and I fear for the frailty of our gnome. HAHAHA! "Bear Ghost laughs for the first time in a long while."

Dr_Nimm
2013-12-12, 03:24 PM
"I am glad you at least show some vestige of humor, Mr. Ghost, even is it is at my expense! I was beginning to think you were dim witted!"

Xavier Alexis
2013-12-13, 06:48 PM
Xavier Alexis to Ingron: It is very nice to meet you Ingron and thank you for your hospitality. (I offer my hand in friendship)

My name is Xavier Alexis. What brings you to these parts? (My Sense Motive is 39)

Xavier Alexis to Dr. Nimm: May please I have a swig of you delicious concoction, Dr. Nimm?

Dr_Nimm
2013-12-14, 07:26 PM
"The one I made for Ingron would kill us. I'll make you a special one infused w dragons blood to stimulate your magical faculties. I still think you should let me operate on you."

However, I really handed Xavier a true seeing elixir http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/t/true-seeing

Christ. Michael
2013-12-14, 10:14 PM
Nodding at the Doctor, I'll raise my drink to his health. *Gulp*

Leena
2013-12-14, 10:21 PM
To Xavier- The dragons are off in that direction (and I point west/northwest).

Hi Ingron, nice to meet you, I say wryly, but with all due respect, everyone...Shouldn't we continue with our mission? I glance at Xavier for support.

I do not think we have any time for a tea party...This will be a setback. A complete waste of day!

Knowing Dr. Nimm and his chatty self, we wont get out of this cave until nightfall!
If you all do insists....I guess we can stay for a quick chat, but we really do have to get going.

Dr_Nimm
2013-12-15, 06:43 PM
"Spoken like a true ranger, Leena. We should observe mannered protocol, for that is the capstone of an evolved society. It would be rude to refuse hospitality. We are not wild beasts! Furthermore, we should speak with him for the obvious reason that as a local resident, he will no doubt elucidate on our enemies, which may give us an advantage over them. He clearly has no love for white dragons.

It is wise to cultivate allies. Especially those with impeccable taste who enjoy my cocktails!"

Bear_Ghost
2013-12-16, 09:39 PM
"Leena speaks truth." Bear Ghost stands. "Thank you for a break from the cold. It's refreshing to finally meet someone that isn't trying to kill us."

Bear Ghost looks back at Dr.Nimm as if saying what the hell did you put in my drink... "Hiccup"

Stumbles out of the Cave.

DM7581
2013-12-17, 04:15 PM
So, I take it that everyone is okay for staying just a while. Ingron leads you all into his surprisingly well-worked cave. The unworked outside blends seamlessly with masterfully worked flooring, walls, and ceilings, lined with strange runes and markings.

True Seeing and Comprehend Languages, for those of you who have one or both of these up reveal these runes to be non-magical in nature, but rather tidbits of knowledge and insight in the form of short quotes, phrases, and other sayings. Some are quite common ("look before you leap") while others very obscure or particular ("a closed mouth gathers no foot"). All runes are written in either Aquan, Auran, or an unusual blend of the two.

After a short walk down the hallway, the chamber opens up into what looks like a large, oval-shaped study. The walls, even from he beginning are covered in a thin sheet of ice and this place is no exception. There is furniture; 2 "chairs" and what looks like a sofa or bench, all of which are crafted from stone, ice, or some other natural material. Books and tomes line the walls. Two exits exist in this room, once straight ahead, behind icy-blue curtains, and another to the right, which is barred and locked by a massive door.

He invites you all to sit. As you all get situated and comfortable, Ingron offers relatively warm beverages from the stash behind the barred door. It tastes like a pleasant mead, but seems very decadent, either it is very rare or very old.

While everyone is relaxing in the sheltered lair (it is quite cold even here, however), Dr. Nimm and Ingron seem to branch out into their own discussion about life, existence, and the universe. Ingron pulls and references multiple tomes to show and enlighten the young doctor. During the conversation, Ingron reveals that he is the last known member of his kind, the Immoths, and it is his duty to seek and preserve knowledge.

And knowledge, he does preserve. Perhaps only Artemis had quite the collection that Ingron has in academia and lore, though remember that Artemis was awarded this as a scholar in the Academy (he didn't acquire it all himself). I would say that even Dr. Nimm is amazed by the breadth and depth of knowledge available to him. This knowledge, not just the keeping, but also the pursuit is what allows Ingron to transition into what seemingly is his true motive.

Well, it is nice to see some friendly faces here, especially those with some wit about them. I understand that you seek some white dragons... they do run rampant in these parts, but I must warn you that they are many.

What I ask is a favor first, however. Out to the west their is a clutch or gathering of some sort of undead. They have been plaguing this area for some time and have become quite a burden for me as well as the other living creatures around the area, especially as they have started to grow in numbers. The whites tend not to know or not to care of their existence, but they have become quite troublesome at the very least to me as of late.

Destroy these vile creatures and I will offer the knowledge you seek.

We Immoths, while eternal seekers of knowledge and truth, do not do well in battle. I hate to ask a favor having just met the lot of you, but I worry for my collection as well as any legacy I am to leave to this realm or any other.

Again, I apologize for the request, but you look as able bodied as any others I've seen in the area. I will allow you to discuss this in private. Excuse me.

Ingron excuses himself for a second and takes leave in what seems to be his personal quarters (you catch a glimpse of what looks like an exotic-looking bed behind the curtains), allowing you all to discuss his proposition.

Leena
2013-12-17, 10:42 PM
I'd rather not drink the beverage that Ingron offered... It may cloud my judgement. I began to scour, touch, and sniff the large books on the shelves. Reli is beside me.

Hmmm, very interesting -addressing everyone after Ingron disappears- You know, I'm all about slaying foul creatures, especially the undead, while protecting the weak, but who is to say that we'll be able to return back to this frigid mansion?

I would suggest proposing another proposition to Ingron. How about he offers us the knowledge we need now about the white dragons, and then we destroy these vile creatures.

He can have our word.

Dr_Nimm
2013-12-18, 12:28 PM
DM : I'll reply in Nimmian detail when I get a chance. However, for now I just want to remind you that I took an elixir of detect lies a few posts back.

Did anything that Ingron said register as untrue?

DM7581
2013-12-18, 12:42 PM
Nothing Ingron has said registers as a lie, though maybe his assessment of the danger is adequate to what he is saying. He does have formidable natural weaponry (claws and tail), paired with intelligence and what looks like some magical ability (see below), but he does genuinely seem to need help rather than seemingly want to wade you guys off to your doom.

Furthermore, I forgot to mention, that there are magical nuggets, stones, and other shards of ice that Ingron is carrying on his person, imbedded on his body, almost ornamental. Those of you who cannot detect magic at-will cannot detect these, as they would just appear to be a part of his body. There seems to be dozens of them.

Dr_Nimm
2013-12-18, 10:03 PM
Dr. Nimm is thoughtfully smoking his pipe while scanning the inscriptions and mumbling to himself: "Hmmm. Foot... Mouth... Mouth...foot... The snake swallowing its tail, infinity.. No no... A fool has no leg to stand on. Hmmm.."

"Huh? Oh yes. I certainly think we should help Ingron for a variety of reasons. We ought to help those in need, especially the last of a majestic and learned species. He is a decent chap and deserves it, even if he weren't offering us information. As the saying goes, knowledge is power.

The information he may give us will increase our chances of success. Then we would have rid two evils rather than one. They may even be in collusion. The white dragons aren't going anywhere. And if they did, we have one of the most powerful rangers in the world. Leena can track a flying bird on a moonless night. We will find them wherever they go... Also, the undead are an interesting research opportunity!

Most importantly, I want to learn from Ingron. Ill battle the undead myself if I have to. "

Christ. Michael
2013-12-19, 12:14 AM
Having taken Dr. Nimm's concoction, I've got a copy of me among the group and my true self invisible to the eye. I'll leave my clone among the group while I try to follow behind Ingron into his private quarters. Am I too far away to hear what is being discussed? If so, I'll leave my clone with a pensive look and occasionally muttering "Hmmm".

I would like to enter Ingr on's room behind him and observe what he is doing.

Bear_Ghost
2013-12-19, 11:59 PM
Bear Ghost says, "We can kill his undead. And if he try's anything after ward, he will see what a huge mistake he has made. Either way he know more of the ice than we do. And we need any advantage we can get against Dragons."

Dr_Nimm
2013-12-20, 12:58 AM
Bear Ghost says, "We can kill his undead. And if he try's anything after ward, he will see what a huge mistake he has made. Either way he know more of the ice than we do. And we need any advantage we can get against Dragons."

This is why I like Bear Ghost.

Meanwhile, Assuming I noticed CM callously drinking my elixir that I gave him strictly for emergency use I now nervously glance at his copy wondering where the real CM is while mentally preparing for a very awkward situation with Ingron, simultaneously priding myself on the accuracy with which my elixir has copied CM down to the feather.

Xavier Alexis
2013-12-23, 03:25 PM
Xavier Alexis: I agree with Bear Ghost. When it comes to Dragons, the more information the better. I say we leave to hunt these undead immediately.

Dr_Nimm
2013-12-27, 10:44 PM
Dr. Nimm has solved all the mysteries of the universe by the time his friends made their next move...

DM7581
2013-12-29, 12:35 PM
Sorry, but its been crazy with Christmas and lots of family outings, etc. So, without further ado, we resume...

Christopher, as Ingron exits, you find it quite difficult to follow him entirely, as you would have to lift the curtain after he goes into his quarters. With Dr. Nimm noticing you suspiciously and with a little bit of worry, you simply peek around the curtain and are able to see Ingron's quarters and what he is doing.

The room is reminiscent of a feudal master suite or chamber. All furniture pieces, however, are fashioned from either stone, ice or some other natural, hearty material. Similar runes, as those seen throughout the common areas also line high along the walls. There is what appears to be a massive bed, though it has been fashioned to fit the specifics of Ingron's body and seems to be more of a hybrid sleeping-meditating space. Additional art and carvings can be found around the room as well, but nothing of particular value (brought out of the harsh cold environment and they might just evaporate and/or melt).

Ingron reaches into a chest drawer which is located bedside and pulls out a small (for him) book. It seems to be a journal or diary of sorts. He taps it lightly as to shatter the ice and carefully opens it, its pages quite conserved, but still very functional. It peers off in your direction, startling you for a second as you suspect that he may have discovered you, but rather, it seems, he was pausing in thought as he mumbles incoherently to himself and begins scribbling something in the book.

Christopher can still hear what is being discussed, and unless reserved to a whisper, Ingron might as well, though he seems to have the decency to not actively eavesdrop. When it becomes noticeably quite, with sufficient time having elapsed, Ingron finishes his entry, promptly shuts his book, places it neatly into his drawer, and begins to head out.

Well, friends, truly the undead are an enemy to us all... well, those of us that are among the living. Further, I cannot help but have noticed a follower of Pelor amongst your ranks (gesturing toward Christopher). Surely you above all others have no tolerance for such beings.

I take it that everyone has agreed to this mini-quest, so I will skip a few of the pleasantries. By all means, if anyone wishes to add something, please jump in at any time and I can reincorporate whatever you all wish to say and/or do.

**Christmas Special**

Well, it would be rude of me not to appreciate your assistance beforehand, plus it is customary in my culture, he continues as you are all preparing to head out. Ingron begins picking at and removing select nuggets of ice, those previously described to be imbedded on his skin. These are known as "ice runes." We Immoths have the ability to infuse them with a portion of our magical ability. I offer one to each as a gift. Let them serve you in your ventures.

Ice Runes contain any spell that the Immoth wishes to inscribe upon it. They activate as a swift action, but can be used just once. Those of you who were able to detect them before suddenly realize that he does carry quite an arsenal on him. He offers the following spells, which you guys can claim (let's do first come, first serve to promote participation), all at CL 12:

-Freezing Fog (SpC)
-Shadow Evocation (PHB)
-Channeled Sound Burst (CM)
-Wall of Ice (PHB)
-Shadow Conjuration (PHB)

It is nearing midday as you all leave. Ingron gives you vague directions as to where this undead threat was last headed. The location is off to the west, across the plains that you were originally travelling through and through some hilly forests. I take it that Leena is quite confident in her ability to find tracks despite the poor direction, so you all take your leave.

Nothing much happens for the first 2-3 hours. Leena is at point, scouring for tracks while everyone else is clamoring over their presents (Merry Christmas!) and chit chatting with one another (feel free to be more descriptive along the way).

As you all approach the forest leading into the hills, a low growl can be heard. As Leena is at point, she investigates while everyone else looks onward. You seem to have stumbled upon a small family of polar bears. A few minutes go by as everyone sees Leena approaching cautiously as she amazingly seems to befriend the wild beasts. Reli stays near the group, at her command, to not excite the creatures. They all run off without issue and everyone continues along their way.

In the distance, now that you all have begun exploring the hillside, what looks like a fire can be seen beyond the trees. It is not a long walk from where you at, so I take it that you all start to discuss strategies or ideas on how to push on. The cleared area seems vast, but the distant fog makes it too difficult to discern number or types of creatures that may be there. At this moment, another low growl can be heard, though this one a little different from before.

Leena puts her hand up to shush everyone, with Bear Ghost close by, as she proceeds (everyone following at a safe distance) toward the sound. More polar bears... Leena approaches, with the same caution and mannerisms as before, but something seems different.

Leena, as you approach these bears, within 10 feet of them, you get a close enough look to see that their very skin is completely decayed and discolored with lifeless eyes and slow, sluggish bodies. This bears are definitely not alive. At that moment, you realize just how many there are-- too many to count, swarming the forest before you. This entire forest seems to have been desecrated. As one bear bellows, the others take notice of you as well.

These are slow-moving, polar bear zombies, so there is no surprise round. There are too many to count unless you decide to use your action to do so and they vary in size-- old and young. Leena lead you all into a clearing, with Bear Ghost and Reli a few steps behind and Nimm, Xavier, and Christopher bunched even further away.

I gotta get going to the Dolphins game The Dolphins blew the rest of their pathetic season, so yeah, I'm not in a good mood, so I will post up the battle map next time. Let's get some input from everyone (including anything else you might have wanted to do up throughout my post) and then a single initiative roll (whoever posts first) with everyone using their own initiative modifier.

http://i877.photobucket.com/albums/ab339/rms7581/bgpolar_zps842276ed.jpg (http://s877.photobucket.com/user/rms7581/media/bgpolar_zps842276ed.jpg.html)

Dr_Nimm
2014-01-02, 11:54 PM
at Ingron's Igloo;

" Ingron, I will take the spell: wall of ice, and perhaps the loan of one of your fascinating books."

at the forest scene

"Ah! Undead polar bears. Now I have truly seen it all! I would have never thought there would be so many polar bears in the area. I wonder who created them and for what purpose? If I were to create undead, I would choose a more useful creature! Amateurs..."

"They do not at first seem to have any scientific value and therefore I am annoyed and inconvenienced by their presence.Though they aren't worth my time, I will dispatch this nuisance quickly so I can get on to doing more interesting things."

(Personally I think it sounds pretty fun)

Just in case, I Take 10 on appropriate knowledge skill to recall or deduce any relevant info on undead polar bears (will be about 42).

Initiative: 20 (modifier +8)

DM: Are you doing ranged Attack penalties/cover because of the trees?

If not, I do haste elixir, 50 foot move directly to the right.

If there's cover/ranged penalty: freedom of movement elixir, then I position myself between the little tree and the big tree just to my left exactly 3 squares left and 2 down.

DM7581
2014-01-03, 07:10 PM
Of course, throughout your semi-lengthy discussion with Ingron, countless topics arose. The one that seemed most interesting at the time happened to be Ingron's origins, the planes, and current abnormalities observed within the realm. At one point during your discussion, he offers a large tome detailing current facts and rumors across the planes, including divine influences.

Regarding the zombies, any creature, up to 10 HD, can be made into a zombie. Polar bears just happen to be common in the region, so it is not as unnatural as one might think.

There is a ranged attack penalty if the creature is beyond 5 feet simply due to the fog that has mysteriously gathered in this area. Here are the general conditions:

Within 5 feet (1 square): no penalty to hit
Behind a tree: -4 to hit due to cover
Beyond 5 feet (2 or more squares): 20% miss chance due to fog (concealment)

Dr_Nimm
2014-01-03, 09:34 PM
Of course, throughout your semi-lengthy discussion with Ingron, countless topics arose. The one that seemed most interesting at the time happened to be Ingron's origins, the planes, and current abnormalities observed within the realm. At one point during your discussion, he offers a large tome detailing current facts and rumors across the planes, including divine influences.

Regarding the zombies, any creature, up to 10 HD, can be made into a zombie. Polar bears just happen to be common in the region, so it is not as unnatural as one might think.

There is a ranged attack penalty if the creature is beyond 5 feet simply due to the fog that has mysteriously gathered in this area. Here are the general conditions:

Within 5 feet (1 square): no penalty to hit
Behind a tree: -4 to hit due to cover
Beyond 5 feet (2 or more squares): 20% miss chance due to fog (concealment)

I didn't say they were unnatural. Dr. Nimm just doesn't approve for some reason (I just make this **** up as I go along).

Nimm is bout to get nasty.

DM7581
2014-01-04, 06:22 PM
Okay, guys. The initiative roll was 12, so adjust with your modifier and describe what your characters are doing. Let's get this show on the road!

Bear_Ghost
2014-01-07, 12:31 AM
Bear Ghost Init Mod +7 ( Forgot I had Imp. Init.) = 19 Bear Ghost is going to Defend Christopher Michael since he knows that he is best equipped to deal with the Undead. Bear Ghost chooses Channeled Sound Blast. A fine rune for a Barbarians Roar!