PDA

View Full Version : [13th Age] Blood and Lightning One-shot

Pages : [1] 2

DSCrankshaw
2013-07-29, 07:58 PM
This is the IC thread for the 13th Age Blood and Lightning One-shot.

The OOC thread can be found here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=294431).

Legal disclaimer:

This PbP game uses trademarks and/or copyrights owned by Fire Opal Media, which are used under the Fire Opal Media, 13th Age Community Use Policy. We are expressly prohibited from charging you to use or access this content. This PbP game is not published, endorsed, or specifically approved by Fire Opal Media. For more information about Fire Opal Media's 13th Age Community Use Policy, please visit www.fireopalmedia.com/communityuse. For more information about Fire Opal Media and 13th Age products, please visit www.fireopalmedia.com and www.pelgranepress.com.

DSCrankshaw
2013-07-29, 08:15 PM
Simon, Fletch, Leif, Derrek

Neither Simon nor Fletch are exactly sure of Tylar’s position. The sign outside his office door just says Facilitator, with no indication of what he facilitates. Behind the clean desk sits an old soldier, with short cut gray hair, a massive chest, and a belly just beginning to put on some fat. Even so, he looks more than ready to wrestle them both into the ground. He’s human, probably, although the shape of his eyes and the size of his canines suggest that perhaps he has a bit of half-orc to him. The half-orc and paladin already there look more like colleagues of Tylar’s than either Simon or Fletch, but they had been ordered to report here by their respective superiors.

Derrek knows Tylar from his legionary days. Tylar used to be his commanding officer, and something of a legend. Rumor has it that back in his prime, he was personally responsible for helping the Emperor’s daughter escape from an orc raiding party that happened to ambush her caravan. The Emperor rewarded him by giving him a commission and sending him as far away from his daughter as possible, to support the dwarves against the orcs in the North for a decade. When he returned, the daughter was safely married, and Tylar served the rest of his time in the legions closer to home. Derrek hadn’t heard from him since he left, but he’d received a message from him yesterday, offering paying work. Derrek hadn’t had a job for a while, so it was worth coming by to see what was on offer.

Leif was asked to come here by the Priestess, who told her that her particular skills were needed, and very little else. Whatever else this Tylar was, he had connections, to be able to recruit mercenaries, agents of the Empire, and paladins who served the Priestess.

Tylar comes around his desk to shake each guest’s hand, greeting them by name as if he knows them personally. In Derrek’s case, it’s true.

“I suppose you’re wondering what you’re doing here,” Facilitator Tylar says, “who I am, and what in the Abyss a Facilitator is. These are all good questions.” He doesn’t invite you to sit, probably a reasonable decision as there are only two chairs in front of the desk, and it’s not clear who should take them. He remains standing himself. “Suffice it to say that when there’s a job that doesn’t fall under anybody’s purview, or sometimes which falls under everybody’s purview, it’s my job to make sure it neither falls through the cracks, nor gets embroiled in a turf war.” He looks Simon and Fletch in the eye. “You, gentlemen, have drawn the short straw, and get to represent your various organizations in my current shindig. You’ll understand why in a moment. You, Miss Leif, was sent to us by the priestess when we asked for an expert in . . . well, I’ll explain that later too. Meanwhile, Derrek here gets to be the muscle.”

He pauses to look around the room. “Now, on to business. About a week ago, a warhammer showed up at an outpost of the Archmage’s near the Wake Islands. No one would have thought much about it, except that it showed up inside the ritual protections of the tower, and did a number on the stability of the magic tied up in the tower. The whole thing’s in danger of collapsing if we don’t remove the warhammer from the tower.

“Easy enough, you say. Why do we need some top notch investigators to play couriers? The thing is, one of the wizards at the tower recognized the warhammer. It belongs to the Crusader, and he’s been sending messages to every city and town demanding its return. No one knows for sure how it got there, or why the crusader’s so keen to have it back. For the former, we suspect the Shadow Prince. Maybe for a reason, maybe just his idea of a joke. For the latter, all the wizards have been able to determine is that there’s some divine enchantment on it. It appears to be rather minor, but since it belonged to the Crusader, we suspect it’s an enchantment by some Dark God, and those can be rather tricky. It’s definitely enough to interfere with the magic of the place. So your job is to retrieve the warhammer and bring it back here, in the meantime seeing if you can figure out how and why it ended up there in the first place, and what sort of enchantment is really on it. Once you bring it here, we’ll decide whether we really want to return it to the Crusader or not. Any questions?”

Kharell

The scent of blood and smoke still hangs over the camp of the Shattered-Axe Tribe. The raid had been a vicious one. Goblins mostly, but led by some bigger, and certainly more disciplined, hobgoblins. The tribe had driven them off, of course, but not before the goblins had torched a third of the tribe’s tents, and killed six of the tribe--three of them children. The warriors and hunters have been talking heatedly of vengeance, but the elders are more subdued. The safety and survival of the tribe come first.

Kharell is surprised to find himself called to Elder Hawkwing’s tent, but not surprised by the anger in the elder’s eyes as he sits down across from the fire, on the deep rugs which cover the ground inside. Hawkwing was a fierce hunter and warrior in his youth, and he killed more than his share of goblins tonight. Despite his advancing age, he was still solidly built. Without preamble, Elder Hawkwing says, “The old ninnies of the Council want us to run away with our tails between our legs. Survival first, they say. Bah!"

He takes a drink from a skin that you suspect contains something stronger than water before continuing, "They have forbidden those of us with any spirit from sending our sons or daughters after the cowardly goblins, not when they are needed to protect the tribe." He hesitates. "I’m not sure whether they left the loophole purposely or not.” He spends the next several moments staring into the fire, not saying anything.

The silence has just begun to grow long before he says, “As you've probably figured out, you’re the loophole. You are a member of this tribe, but you are not a native son. You I can send out, so I'm going to." He takes another swig from his skin. "I want you to track these goblins, and kill as many as you can. Hunt them like wild game. Take them by surprise, and pick them off one at a time, until you've paid them back, blood for blood.”

He grins at you. "We'll be heading north. Feel free to catch up with us after, but I'll want to see your trophies when you do."

Halendor

Halendor is at one of the seedier inns in Drakkenhall when his contact takes a seat at the table where he's nursing a surprisingly passable wine. This being Drakkenhall, it’s not too surprising that it’s a lizardman rather than a human. His forked tongue washes over his face in a gesture that is significantly more repulsive than a human licking his lips.

The lizardman nods at him. "We have a favor to asssk of you. Word isss, something's going down at a place called Boltssstrike Pillar. We think the Prince isss involved, and alssso . . ." He doesn't say anything, but he lays three clawed fingers on the table. "Them. It isss near the Wake Islandsss. We'd like you to go there and see what you can find out what isss happening."

Before Halendor can say yes or no, the lizardman pulls a letter out of his pouch and passes it across the table. "And take that with you." The letter has the name Fletch written on it. "In cassse you meet a Fletch on your journey."

Orsik Vondal
2013-07-29, 10:32 PM
Silas Fletcher - Human Cleric

Silas takes out some parchment and a piece of charcoal and begins to scribble wildly as Tylar recounts the assignment. No sense forgetting anything when you could have it all written down to look at later.

The Crusader's Warhammer, you say? Interesting. What makes you suspect the Prince of Shadows? Were there any clues the wizards could find that would suggest such a connection?

As he waits for Tylar's reply, he surveys the other three in the room.

By his wand and Tylar's description of his own duties, Silas guessed that the man who entered with him was sent from the Umbral Inquisitors. Wizards. Always an odd bunch.

The half-orc was the muscle Tylar had said. Okay. That made sense. He wasn't the prettiest thing to behold, but he looked like he could take of himself...and about four others at the same time.

Speaking of pretty, the aasimar was a sight. Good looking, but not overwhelmingly so. Though the lean muscle in her arms hinted at an occupation more involved than "Pretty Face". Her palms were weathered, so Silas guessed fighter or someone who worked mostly with their hands.

The most interesting part of this meeting, though, was Tylar's mention of the Prince of Shadows. How long had it been since Silas had gotten a fresh lead like this?

Philemonite
2013-07-30, 05:18 AM
Halendor listened to the lizards words with a slightly bored expression. It was not his kind of mission. He was more of an independent information gatherer.
"Well, as long as it's gonna be fun, I'm in." He said with a smile. After all that was his motto, if it's not fun it's not worth doing.
"I have a few questions first, naturally. Is this a solo mission, or do I have any companions? Is there any information about Boltssstrike Pillar you can provide? And what do you mean by Fletch?"

Hzurr
2013-07-30, 07:08 AM
Kharell - Aasimar Barbarian

Kharell shifts on the rug uncomfortably. He'd never been very comfortable around Hawkwing, and hearing the older man openly critique the elders made Kharell's jaw tighten. Not that he agreed with the elder's decision to withdraw, but this was no way to disagree.

As Hawkwing announced his plans for Kharell, the Aasimar grins. "'Blood for Blood'? That will take some doing as every drop of ours is worth a gallon of goblin blood. But I suppose I'll manage somehow."

Reaching into his pack, Kharell pulls out a pair of arrows he'd taken from the wall of his tent, tipped with a crude stone and black arrows. Typical sloppy goblin work. "These are some of the arrows fired by the cowards during the raid. Do you know anything of this goblin clan?" he holds out the arrows to Hawkwing

DSCrankshaw
2013-07-30, 08:02 AM
Kharell

Kharell takes the arrows and examines them. "No obvious clan markings," he muses. He turns the arrow around and sniffs the head. "Smells like it's been dipped in goblin blood. Goblins do that sometimes--they associate it with necromantic rites. I wouldn't be surprised if these are working for agents of the Lich King." He turns to spit. "It may have something to do with that monstrosity of a tower the Archmage has built to the west, the one that's always being struck by lightning."

Halendor

The lizardman chuckles, a short, snickering sort of laugh. "Companions? A minstrel traveling on his own is much less suspicious than when traveling with a group of thugs. They'd take you for a robber band, or worse, adventurers!" His laughing turns to guffaws, before he finally calms down. "No, you're on your own this time. As for the letter, I just know that it came from high up, and not through the usual channels. I know nothing about who this Fletch might be."

He looks around the inn for a moment. "Don't know much about Boltstrike Pillar either. Some experiment of the Archmage's I think. It's always being hit by lightning." He pulls something the pack he carries and passes it to Halendor. "But never let it be said that the guild doesn't repay it's favors. We think you'll find this helpful."

OOC: Since you haven't picked an item yet, I'm taking this as an opportunity to deliver it. You still get to decide what it is.

OOC: I'll give other folks in the group in Tylar's office a chance to speak before moving forward there.

Loki_42
2013-07-30, 10:57 PM
Derrek, Half-Orc Fighter
Derrek scratches at his leg, his fingers briefly and unconsciously grasping the hilt of a sword that appears almost gaudy against his other equipment, far nicer than any of the other implements of his trade, less worn with use, a look that belies its history.

"It's been a long time, Tylar. I didn't figure you was lookin' to chat. So I'm supposed to be the muscle for these guys? I reckon I can do that. What kind of trouble do you think there'll be?"

Derrek glances around the room figuring out how much "muscle" these guys really needed. The Aasimar could probably handle herself, and maybe the one Tylar had called Silas, but the other human looked weak. Derrek sighed. He never really did know what to expect with magic.

Razorstorm
2013-07-30, 11:53 PM
Standing straight and tall, "It's a pleasure to join your... shindig... sir." Simon breathes in and releases a contemplative sigh. "When you say it's still there in the tower, is it under control, or is it floating in midair protected by wards of some kind. I guess I'm asking what exactly is the current state of the hammer?"

DSCrankshaw
2013-07-31, 07:45 AM
Simon, Fletch, Leif, Derrek

Tylar takes their questions one at a time. First he turns to Silas: "Evidence? If we had real evidence, we'd know it wasn't the Prince. Right now our evidence is that a magical artifact has left the side of one of the most dangerous men in the world, right out of the heavily guarded First Triumph, and been delivered into a tower magically warded by the Archmage himself. All without raising any alarms or tripping any wards. If anyone aside from the Prince of Shadows can do that, then we're in real trouble."

He turns to Simon next. "The warhammer is just a hammer. It's not acting on its own or anything. They have it in a ritual circle for the moment, which minimizes but does not eliminate its effect. I understand that they have to perform a ritual to disentangle it from the tower before it can leave safely, but they're planning to wait until you show up before doing that, else it will just get entangled in the tower's magic again."

Next he looks at Derrek. "The tower's part of the Archmage's network. It's called Boltstrike Pillar since it tends to attract lightning. Maybe that's its purpose: the Archmage certainly hasn't told me. It has attracted its fair share of attention from the Archmage's rivals. There have been attacks by servants of the Lich King, the Diabolist, the Orc Lord, even some druids once. I don't know if it's really that important, but at least some of the Archmage's competitors think it will weaken him and the Empire if it's eliminated. We don't know if they know about the hammer, but if they realize the tower's magic has been weakened by it, they're sure to take advantage."

Hzurr
2013-08-01, 05:11 AM

"The Lich King? That...does not bode well."

Kharell stands. "It makes little difference, though. I shall return once our enemies fill the stomachs of Jackals."

Kharell clasps Hawkwing's hand, elbows bent with fists at eye level and flexes (the way all true warriors show respect before a hunt begins), and exits the tent.

He quickly returns to his own low-roofed tent and begins gathering his pack. He pauses as he picks up a small object wrapped in thick cloth, hesitating before placing it in with the rest of his belongings. Strapping his bow to his back, and his lucky Wyvern-tooth dagger around his belt, he briefly pauses with an old battered holy symbol to pray for guidance. Placing the holy symbol around his neck, he hefts his axe & shield, and sets out to start tracking the goblins.

OOC: What type of roll do I need to make to track the goblins?

Philemonite
2013-08-01, 05:37 AM
Halendor, Half-Elf Bard

"A minstrel traveling on his own is much more susceptible to being eaten by wild life or being targeted by local bandits. Luckily, I am not an ordinary minstrel." Halden said with a wink.
"So, you don't know what kind of trouble I might get into, you don't know who I might meet and you don't even know what I'm looking for? You really do need me. At least my harp is done. I take it all the modifications have been made successfully? I really don't have time to test it, so if they botched something it would be better to tell me right now."

Orsik Vondal
2013-08-01, 06:25 AM

Silas listens to Tylar and scribbles down more notes. He turns to the aasimar, Lief apparently, and furrows his brow. She was oddly silent. He would keep an eye on her for now.

"So we are operating under the assumption that the Prince of Shadows has placed the warhammer at...uh..." He looks back at his notes. "Boltstrike Pillar, because the possibility of anyone else being able to do it is frightening. The Archmage's rivals have been attacking the Pillar hoping to weaken his power and that of the Empire, but they may not be aware of the hammer screwing up its magic."

Silas looks up and scratches his temple, absently rubbing a finely braided silver circlet. "In order that the rivals of the Empire not find out about Boltstrike's vulnerability, I say we leave now. The fastest way would be by boat. Facilitator, can I assume passage has already been secured? Or will we need to find a berth on our own?"

His eyes shift for a moment to Lief, then back to Tylar.

DSCrankshaw
2013-08-01, 07:33 AM
Kharell

OOC: It's a wisdom check, plus the appropriate background, to track the goblins.

Halendor

The lizardman gives a mockery of a grin. "That about sumsss it up," he says. "And yes, the modificationsss you requested to the harp are done. It was harder than you'd think, considering the enchantment on it."

Fletch, Simon, Derrek, Leif

"Yes, I've arranged transportation. You'll find the Northern Light at the North docks. It leaves first thing in the morning."

Hzurr
2013-08-01, 11:20 AM

OOC: I'm tracking like a 1987 VCR!
[roll0]+2 (Wis) +4 (Tribe of the Shattered Axe Background)

DSCrankshaw
2013-08-01, 08:59 PM
Kharell

Kharell's not the best tracker in his tribe, but he's not incompetent, and he'd have to be to miss the trail the goblins left through the woods. There are broken branches, disturbed leaves, discarded trash, and blood from injuries, not to mention the smell. The stench of goblin still hangs in the air. Kharell has little doubt that he'll be able to find them quickly.

As he crests a rise, he gets a good view of Boltstrike Pillar. It dominates the landscape, but his tribe had always been careful to keep its distance. It looks like it was carved out of a natural stone tower, windows and balconies carved into its natural outcroppings. Atop the tower, though, is the least natural thing in the area--a silver flame. Even as Kharell watches, a bolt of lightning falls out of the clear sky and strikes the flame, which flashes brighter for an instant. Kharell hears no accompanying thunder, even this close, which is evidence enough that the lightning is unnatural. Even on clear days, it draws an occasional bolt from a sky, but when a storm rolls in off the Iron Sea, continuous lightning strikes fall on the Tower, until the power seems to be sucked out of the storm.

The goblins are clearly heading in the general direction of the Pillar.

OOC: I was thinking of slowing things down here, to give the other PCs a chance to catch up, but if you want you can try hunting some goblins on your own.

Orsik Vondal
2013-08-02, 09:45 AM

"...Northern...Light. In the morning. Got it." Silas stows the parchment and charcoal. "Thank you for this opportunity, Facilitator." He places his right hand fist over his heart and nods his head in salute. "Rest assured we will get to the bottom of this event." He then turns to leave the office. "I will see the rest of you tomorrow morning."

Once outside, Silas heads straight to his room in the Arbiters' Ward to prepare for his assignment. He didn't know what they were going to encounter on the way, so he thought it prudent to take an assortment of items and tools. He takes out his worn pack and begins to fill it with the essentials. Traveling gear for the overland trek with extra rations just in case.

He opens a closet and takes down his chainmail armor off its stand. He brings it over to his bed and lays it out. Silas runs his hand over the nicks and dings in the metal, each a memory of a battle or mission to recover a magical artifact. He takes out his oil rag and can of oil and begins to grease his armor. This ritual was the beginning of every mission for the Arbiters that Silas had been assigned.

Once done, he extracts his mace, crossbow and shield and checks them over for faults. Satisfied with their efficacy, he pulls out his holy symbol and says a quick prayer to the Great Eye. His gear was ready, and so he set it aside and got some sleep. He had a long journey ahead of him.

Razorstorm
2013-08-02, 08:42 PM
"Indeed, it will be a pleasure to work with you. All of you." He offers Silas a handshake in parting, and takes his leave.

Back in his quarters, he checks his supplies, restocks anything lacking, and prepares his spell book for travel. He writes a brief note to his superior, and finds an urchin to deliver it. He then spends the evening sitting at a pub run by his friend, Eben, enjoying mulled wine and the music of some minstrel. His grey cat, Caius, curled up by the fireplace at his feet.

Loki_42
2013-08-03, 12:24 PM
Derrek, Half-Orc Fighter

After seeing most of his companions leave, Derrek offers Tylar another handshake. "Until next time."

Derrek then gives Lief a brief nod before going to look for his quarters.

Hzurr
2013-08-04, 03:34 PM

Kharell does not rush into battle when he finds the goblins, but instead spends some time studying the tower. He knows enough to not interfere in the affairs of wizards, but still this site completely amazes him (even as the unnatural nature of the tower makes him uneasy).

Looking down from the hilltop, Kharell makes an estimate of where the goblins most likely are. Rather than continuing on down the hill, Kharell circles around to the southeast to approach the goblins from the side, hoping to find a few who wondered a bit too far from the body of the main tribe.

OOC: Sneak through the forest to see if I can ambush a goblin or two. Dex check? [roll0]+3 (Dex) +4 (Tribe of the Shattered Axe Background)

DSCrankshaw
2013-08-04, 05:06 PM
Kharell:

It doesn't take long for Kharell to find the goblin camp. They're loud and they stink, and their fires are large, throwing up great towers of dark, foul-smelling smoke. It's early evening by the time Kharell gets near the camp, approaching it from the east. He quickly goes to ground as he hears voices. He can't understand the words, but it sounds like grousing and complaining. A group of four goblins come into view, gathering firewood. These particular goblins are small and weak, easily bullied by the others into doing their chores. They are bickering and whining to each other, as they come close to Kharrel's hiding place, crouched behind a fallen log, not even looking in his direction.

OOC: You can either let them pass by or attack. If you attack, you get a surprise round. You can act a second time if your initiative exceeds theirs:

[roll0]

DSCrankshaw
2013-08-05, 07:58 PM
Silas, Simon, Leif, Derrek:

The party arrives at the docks at dawn on the next day, to find that the crew of the Northern Light is already at work, swabbing the deck, splicing rope, and doing inscrutable things in the rigging. The captain is a tall, thin man, almost skeletal. He's at least a head taller than the rest of his crew, and the brilliant white feather in his hat makes him easy to find. "Welcome aboard!" he tells you as you climb the gangplank. "I'm Captain Ramis. Tylar told me to be expecting you. I set aside two cabins for the lot o' you, one with three bunks, and one with two. Feel free to divide them up as you see fit. I'll have the cabin boy show you to your rooms. Kulen!" You're a bit surprised to see that the cabin boy is a dwarf. A young one, to be sure, with the short, dark beard common among adolescent dwarves, before they've managed to grow a full one. But he seems cheery enough as he leads you to your rooms.

OOC: Feel free to role-play as much or as little as you want. The trip should take a week in game-time, but it'll take as long as you want it to in real-time. Unless, y'know, something happens to make it interesting.

Razorstorm
2013-08-05, 09:09 PM
Simon follows Kulen to the quarters. His grey cat, Caius, perched on his right shoulder. Normally he would follow on the ground, but Simon was concerned the crew would not know that the cat was with him and might object, or simply think he was a local stray.

"That's a fine beard you have there, Kulen. How long have you sailed with Captain Ramis? How's the crew?" He starts placing his stuff in the room while he listens, claiming a bed, and if possible, a desk.

Orsik Vondal
2013-08-05, 09:47 PM

Silas jots down the names of the captain and the cabin boy for future reference and thanks Ramis for the rooms. He looks over his shoulder at Leif.

"The chivalrous thing would be to allow the lady here to room alone and us three to bunk together. Though, perhaps on a vessel crewed as this one is mostly by men, it might be argued that one or perhaps even two of us should bunk with her for protection. But in these progressive times the lady might thoroughly object to such treatment. And so I leave it to you, fair paladin. Which do you prefer?"

DSCrankshaw
2013-08-05, 10:51 PM
Simon, Silas, Leif, Derrek

"Oh, I've been with Captain Ramis for three Long Months now, nearly half a year." There are seven Long Months in a year, or ten Short Months, as the two moons change at different rates. "The crew's a fine one, and my pa thought Ramis would be a good captain for me to apprentice under. He used to be my pa's First Mate."

Hzurr
2013-08-06, 06:40 AM
AC: 16+2(halo), PD: 15+2(halo), MD: 11+2(halo)

Kharell briefly considers letting them pass. If any escaped it could pose significant problems for his hunt. However, pausing a moment to think of the children murdered by this band of goblins soon overruled that more logical thought.

Leaping over the log, Kharell plants his axe in the back of one of the nearest goblins, letting his momentum carry him around to kick one of the other goblins into a rock that twists its neck around in a sickening *snap*.

Standing over the fallen creatures, Kharell begins to glow as he looks at the other two goblins. "Well, now we have a problem." he mutters, smiling at the goblins. "There are two of you left, but I only need one of you alive to answer a question and carry a message from me back to your tribe. So tell me..." Kharell pauses to pull his axe out of the dead goblin. "Which one of you should I leave alive? Feel free to discuss it among yourselves, I'm in no rush."

OOC: Attack rolls, then descriptive flavor to be added as needed

Attacking the nearest goblin [roll0] vs AC. Damage: 10 (see OOC Thread for roll)
Initiative: [roll1]
Secondary Attack if I can get it [roll2]

Using my Halo power to gain a +2 to defenses until they hit me.

DSCrankshaw
2013-08-06, 07:36 AM
For Kharell:

Both dead goblins fall to the leaf-covered ground, addin a splash of autumn crimson to the dead leaves of early spring.

At hearing Kharell's threats, the remaining two goblins drop their bundles of sticks. The closer of the two then stoops to recover the biggest of his sticks, and rushes at Kharell, brandishing it like a club. He doesn't come anywhere close to hitting Kharell. The other goblin flees, but rather than running for help, he turns around once he's a short distance away, and unslings a sorry looking bow, which he then proceeds to use to lob crude arrows at Kharell. He's only slightly more accurate than his comrade, and his first shot goes wide.

OOC:

Escalation Die: 1

Init - Character - Location
17 - Goblin 3 - engaged with Kharell (10 damage to mooks)
17 - Goblin 4 - far away (10 damage to mooks)
10 - Kharell - engaged with Goblin 3

[roll0]
Damage: 3
[roll1]

Razorstorm
2013-08-07, 12:50 AM
Simon nods, "Good good. Anyone on the crew I should be wary of? Anyone particularly undisposed toward a land-lubber like me?"

Philemonite
2013-08-07, 04:33 AM
Halendor, Half-Elf Bard

"At least there is some good news. Is transportation arranged or am I supposed to crawl to there?"
He didn't know what was worse, finding his own transportation, or having to endure the transportation they would arrange.

DSCrankshaw
2013-08-07, 08:23 AM
For Halendor:
"Transssportation?" the lizardman asks. "Do I look like a horssse-trader to you? It'sss not far from here. It shouldn't take more than three days to walk, two if you ride a horse. Might take a week if you actually crawl." He pushes his chair back, before giving a toothy smile. "You know how to make contact if you find something." With that he stands up and turns to leave.

For Leif, Simon, Silas, and Derrek:
"Undisposed?" Kulen asks. "The captain's real strict in making sure the crew shows respect to his passengers. I mean, sure, they'll complain when you're not around, but I've never seen it get out of hand."

Kulen's quiet for a minute, but you can tell he keeps glancing at Cassius, and at Simon's equipment, before finally saying, "Are you a wizard? Can you show me some magic? Maybe teach me something?"

Hzurr
2013-08-07, 10:15 AM

OOC: I'll just keep on killing goblins til the rest of the party arrives. :smalltongue:

Kharell sighs. "Look, I tried to give you a choice. If you keep on this way, I may need to kill both of you" he mutters as he easily fends off the goblin attacks before retaliating with an axe-half to the face.

As one of the goblins falls, Kharell looks at the remaining goblin a little ways off. "Let's try this again. If you answer a question and take a message, you won't end up like those three." He motions to the bodies around him. "I can outrun you, I can outfight you. You're really starting to run out of options.

[roll0] vs. AC. Damage: [roll1]

DSCrankshaw
2013-08-07, 11:27 AM
For Kharell:

The goblin shouts something in his own language before shooting another arrow at Kharell. It just barely misses, thanks to Kharell's protective halo.

Escalation Die: 2

17 - Goblin 4 - far away (15 damage to mooks)
10 - Kharell -

[roll0]

DSCrankshaw
2013-08-07, 08:42 PM
For Simon, Silas, and Derrek:

"I'll be fine on my own," Leif says. She opens the door and goes into the other cabin, leaving you three to share one.

Orsik Vondal
2013-08-07, 09:59 PM

Silas drops off his gear in the three man cabin. He walks along the deck with Captain Ramis as the Northern Light sails east toward Boltstrike Pillar. "Kulen's father was a ship's captain? I haven't heard of many dwarf seamen. He must have been exceptionally skilled."

Silas converses with Ramis for a bit longer, then asks, "What do you know of Boltstrike Pillar and the surrounding area?"

DSCrankshaw
2013-08-07, 10:50 PM
For Silas:

Silas finds Ramis on the aft deck, at the helm. There's not much steering to do until they get underway, but from there he can keep watch over the crew as they work, bellowing the occasional order.

"Old Saltbeard is one of the best," Ramis says with a small smile in response to Silas's comment. "Of course, he's a Stonequay. Most dwarves don't care for boats, but that clan is the exception. He's the seventh son of Admiral Stonequay, you know. That makes him extra lucky. I had a triple share of the profit as first mate, and I had enough to buy my own ship after a few years. I've never seen a man make better hauls, on smarts and instinct. I'm hoping that his seventh son is just as lucky."

With the mention of Boltstrike, his smile vanishes. "I try to keep my distance. There's usually storm clouds around it, and always lightning. It's a day's inland from the sea, which is good. I wouldn't want to get closer."

Razorstorm
2013-08-08, 12:18 AM
Simon regards Kulen for a moment, then smiles. "Indeed, I am a wizard. I'd be happy to show you a bit." He places his satchel on the bunk, then points at a candle on the bedstand with one finger. He then lifts it up, and the candle & candlestick float up into the air following his hand. It then floats through the air towards Kulen at his direction, until it ends directly in front of the young dwarf. "Go ahead, take it," he instructs Kulen.

Simon then snaps his finger, and the candle flares to life with a small guttering flame.

He sits down on the bed taking in Kulen's reaction with a smile (whatever that is), and motions for him to sit next to him. "There's much more I can do. But those two tricks took me my first year of study at the Acadamae. At that time, lighting that flame caused me to break into a sweat and gave me a headache. Now I can do it quite easily and naturally. There's no reason you couldn't do that same, assuming you had the discipline and focus. Growing up on the streets of Glitterhaegen I never that someday I'd be a wizard in the service of the Empire. Now keep in mind, with the same years I put into learning my magic, you would get quite good at more mundane talents. Is this something you're really interested in?"

DSCrankshaw
2013-08-08, 07:28 AM
Simon, Derrek:

Kulen claps when the candle floats in the air, and eagerly seizes it when told. He jumps when it bursts into flame, but is quickly grinning again. His smile falls when Simon talks about how much work it is to become a wizard.

"Oh," he says. "I was hoping you could help me, but it sounds very different . . ." He looks out into the corridor, and then closes the cabin door. "It's never been that hard for me." He closes his eyes for a moment, and glimmering lights begin to appear in the air around him. Each light is a different color, and it lasts for only a few seconds before dying, only to be replaced by a new globe of light. Like a continuous effervescence of glowing bubbles.

Razorstorm
2013-08-09, 01:15 AM
Simon gapes for a moment. "Oh my stars," he says gently. "And you learned to do that all on your own, did you? Well that changes things dramatically. Come, sit down." He gestures to a spot on the bunk next to him. "For most, including me, magic only becomes possible through intense study, practice, and willpower. But for others... it's just part of them. They're like conduits to the raw power of creation. Rather than working hard to tap into that power, like most of us, they instead must work to control it, and keep it from consuming them, or lashing out dangerously at the world around them." He looks at Kulen inquisitively, "Is there anything else you can do? When you get upset, or excited, do strange things sometimes happen? I could certainly teach you some techniques on our voyage that would help you control yourself better. Is that something you would like?"

Orsik Vondal
2013-08-09, 06:35 AM

As they pace around the ship Silas closes his eyes and lets the salt breeze wash over him. When Ramis brings up Kulen's heritage, his eyes snap open.

"The Seventh Son of a Seventh Son!?" Silas whistles. "That is lucky indeed. That is a rare omen in these times. Does Kulen exhibit any abilities like his father? You would think if he had his father's knack, he might be more than just a cabin boy."

They continue walking along the deck, and Silas looks out across the sea. Every so often a fish would break the surface. Silas turns back to Ramis. "You mentioned Captain Stonequay's ship sought treasure. So what is your ship's main function? Are you primarily a cargo ship, passenger liner, treasure hunter? From what you say about your expectations for Kulen, you are probably the latter. Am I correct?"

OOC: Has Silas ever heard of "Saltbeard" Stonequay? Since the Arbiters deal with the recovery of magical items and artifacts, they may have a record of him somewhere. Would that be an INT check?

DSCrankshaw
2013-08-09, 07:54 AM
For Simon, Derrek:

Kulen turns somber when Simon tells him how dangerous it can be. "Well, I've never seen it do anything dangerous. Though my breath gets real cold sometimes, and sometimes my hair seems to stand on end like when there's a storm. If you can teach me more about it, and how to control it, I'd appreciate it. I'll come and see you when I can. Right now, I've got to get back to my duties." He gets up from the bed and heads toward the door. "Thank you!" he says just before he closes the door behind him.

For Silas:

"No matter how much of a knack he has, or who his ancestors are, Kulen has to start at the bottom like the rest of us," Silas harrumphs. "As for 'abilities', I'm not sure what you mean. He's lucky, which is good enough for me."

Ramis laughs at Silas's next question. "Treasure hunting's not a good way to make your fortune on the Midland Sea. Too much risk and not enough reward to make a living. No, the real money's in being a free trader. Not renting out your boat to carry cargo, but buying where it's cheap and selling where it's expensive. Saltbeard had a knack for which cargo would earn the best profit. Me, I do all right, though I sometimes carry passengers when I'm light on cargo. Now, if you'll excuse me, it's about time I got this ship underway." He begins shouting orders with renewed energy.

OOC: Roll an Intelligence check with an appropriate background to see if you know about Saltbeard. You have heard of Admiral Stonequay. He was the Admiral of the Imperial Navy under the last Emperor.

Hzurr
2013-08-09, 05:22 PM

The Aasimar looks at the Goblin and begins moving forward, shaking his head sadly. "Don't say I didn't make an attempt." he mutters as he draws the longbow from his back and takes aim.

Move to short range
Attack: [roll0] Damage: [roll1]

DSCrankshaw
2013-08-09, 06:29 PM
For Kharell:

The goblin shouts something back at Kharell, again in his own tongue, so Kharell doesn't have a clue what he's saying. Then, showing more courage than sense, he charges, wielding his bow as a club. This time he hits, bruising Kharell's arm.

OOC:

Escalation Die: 3

17 - Goblin 4 - engaged with Kharell (15 damage to mooks)
10 - Kharell - engaged with Goblin 4 (3 damage)

[roll0]

Loki_42
2013-08-09, 06:59 PM
Derrek ponders the display of magic that just went on in front of him. When Kulen leaves the room, Derrek turns to Simon.

"I've never really worked with a wizard before. All of those tricks are certainly interesting, but how good are you in a fight?"

Hzurr
2013-08-10, 06:05 AM
HP 27/30
AC: 16, PD: 15, MD: 11

Kharell looks at the small cut the goblin gave him. "Why you little...!" He lets the sentence trail off as he grabs his axe again and swings, but somehow the axe-haft gets caught on the bow he was attempting to drop, and the swing goes laughably wide.

Kharell's eyes dart back towards where the goblin was yelling. "This may have been a mistake..." he mutters to himself, backhanding the goblin even as he brings his axe back into position.

Switiching back to my axe, & attacking.
[roll0]
Damage: [roll1] 1 damage on a miss.

Orsik Vondal
2013-08-10, 01:33 PM

Silas heads back to the cabin, and as he reaches the door Kulen comes out.

"I just had a chat with your Captain. I hope your luck extends to swift voyages, Seaman Stonequay. I am honored to be accompanied by the grandson of the great Admiral Stonequay."He gives a slight bow. "I'll let you resume your duties."

He enters the room, which seems a bit small now that two grown men and a burly half-orc have taken up residence. Silas laughs to himself and takes the last open bunk. He lays down, puts his hands behind his head and closes his eyes. "So, Derrek," he says without looking up, "I noticed that you and Facilitator Tylar seem to know each other. Might I ask from where or when as the case may be?"

DSCrankshaw
2013-08-10, 01:42 PM
For Kharell:

The goblin winces at the barbarian's determined but clumsy attack, and you can see that even that near-miss took something out of him. But then he growls in renewed determination, and swings his bow at Kharell again. Kharell's large axe seems to have intimidated him, though, and his swing goes wide.

OOC:

Escalation Die: 4

17 - Goblin 4 - engaged with Kharell (16 damage to mooks)
10 - Kharell - engaged with Goblin 4

[roll0]
Damage 3

DSCrankshaw
2013-08-10, 03:48 PM
For Silas, Derrek, and Simon:

As Silas departs the deck, he notices that the sailors are bringing out six long oars. They obviously aren't enough to move the ship with any speed, but they may be enough to get the ship moving from the dock.

When he arrives at the cabins, he nearly bumps into Kulen. "Thank you, sir!" Kulen says to his compliment, but doesn't pause to chat as he rushes off to swab the deck or man the bilge pump or something equally humiliating.

By the time he joins Derrek and Simon in the cabin, there's a lurch as the ship pushes back from the dock.

Loki_42
2013-08-11, 03:54 PM
Derrek turns to the other human who just entered the room.

"Oh, me and Tylar? We go way back. I used to serve in the legions with 'im, way back before he was 'Facilitator'. He used to be my commanding officer, the man was a hero. I guess we drifted apart after he got sent away on an assignment far off, and I eventually left the legions myself. But still, I'd trust Tylar with my life, and if he chose you all for this assignment, I've gotta trust that you're up to the task."

Orsik Vondal
2013-08-11, 06:58 PM

"Well, I am glad to have a good sword arm in the group. And by the looks of it you have a good sword to go with your arm." Silas inclines his head to Derrek's elaborate weapon. "Forgive me, but it does not seem to match with the rest of your gear. There must be a story behind that. I'm what you could call a connoisseur of interesting knowledge."

After he hears Derrek's story, Silas stretches his hand out toward the half-orc. "I am Silas Fletcher, Arbiter of Reclamation, but most of my colleagues call me Fletch."

Fletch turns to the wizard across the small room. "And you are an Umbral Inquisitor, are you not?"

Hzurr
2013-08-12, 04:10 AM
HP 27/30

Kharell glances back towards the Goblin camp. "This is taking too long." He mutters under his breath as he lines up the goblin for another swing. This time he has his rhythm back, and the goblin's head easily separates from his shoulders.

Kharell nods in satisfaction, "The payments have begun" he intones under his breath as he glances back towards the hills where his tribe will be relocating. "But the debt is not yet filled.

Taking a quick moment to search the goblins, hoping there will be something that gives some indication as to why they're here, before stowing his axe and slipping back into the trees, putting as much distance between himself and whatever allies this goblin called out to as possible. The goblins would be vigilant for a bit, but they would lower their guard again eventually.

Best not to linger in the area. They won't be looking for me over on the sea-facing side of the tower...

[roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Philemonite
2013-08-12, 04:28 AM
Halendor, Half-Elf Bard

"As always, it is a pleasure to work with you." The Bard adds with a smile.
"And you need not worry, you will have the informations soon." That was all he had to say, and with a slight nod he left the inn.

I didn't take him long to secure transportation, he had connections everywhere, and a good horse was not that hard to find. With his supplies gathered, he set for the Boltstrike Pillar. With no interruptions on the road, he reached his destination at sundown of the second day.

DSCrankshaw
2013-08-12, 08:08 AM
For Kharell:

Something seems slightly off as Kharell swings. He was certain at first that his swing had missed, and it didn't really feel like slicing through a goblin's neck. But goblin heads don't just pop off on their own, and he's in a bit too much of a hurry to worry about it. As he hurries to leave, he doesn't see the goblin head silently screaming behind him.

OOC: A 15 isn't quite enough to hit. But that's okay. I can work with this.

DSCrankshaw
2013-08-12, 07:32 PM
For Kharell:

Kharell has about half-an-hour before a hue and cry is raised over the dead goblins. Of course, hue-and-cry may be too strong a term. There's some desultory searching for whoever killed the goblins, but as most of the raiding party seems to assume that they were done in by a bigger, nastier goblin, there's not a whole lot of interest.

Kharell, meanwhile, has managed to hole up, and with the adrenaline rush of the battle fading, he's feeling worn out, and it's an effort to keep his eyes open.

OOC: Roll a Constitution check with an appropriate background to stay awake.

For Halendor:

Halendor's first day of travel goes without incident. The first night he shares a campfire with a dwarf bard named Draven who is on his way to Drakkenhall. Draven carries a horn, between it and his voice, he shares some Dwarven songs. Some of them are drinking songs, but quite a few deal with Dwarven legends and myths. He also knows a surprising number of Elvish songs, and he and Halendor perform a powerful rendition of the Lay of Renuil.

The next day has an . . . incident.

OOC: If you want to share some more of your journey, go ahead. I'll describe the incident once I have all the PCs in place.

For Simon, Fletch, and Derrek:

The three men are still discussing things in their cabin as the ship gets underway. There's fair weather and a good wind for the journey, and they make good time across the Midland Sea.

Kulen spends as much time with Simon as possible, pestering him about magic, and how to control it. Between his duties and his lessons, it's not clear when he finds time to sleep, and by the end of the week he's looking a little wan. But he definitely has better control over his magic, and has even learned a wizard trick or two.

Leif spends much of her time in her cabin. When the others try to engage her in conversation, she's distant--not rude, but it's as if she has weighty matters on her mind. The others don't see much of her.

OOC: Describe what you're doing during the journey. Feel free to continue the conversation, but you'll be making landfall tomorrow. For the record, Kulen is a sorcerer with the Arcane Heritage talent. If Razor wants to describe what he teaches him, maybe I'll make that his wizard spell.

Razorstorm
2013-08-14, 04:37 AM
Simon nods in response to both Derek and Fletch, as he starts settling into the room. "I was trained as a operative of the Umbral Inquisitors. We're a sort of special police for magical matters. I assure you I can handle myself in a fight. How about you two? What is your background?"

Orsik Vondal
2013-08-14, 06:36 AM

Silas absently switches his left foot to rest on his right as he reclines in his hammock. "I am a devote follower of The Great Eye. A collector of knowledge. A self-made investigator. And an Arbiter of Reclamation. As a requisite for joining the Arbiters I was trained in battle tactics and as a battle medic. My primary role has been assessing targets and pointing out weaknesses to my team, though there have been times when I had to help on the front line." Silas raises his mace from the floor and takes a few practice swings with it. "I can hold my own."

Loki_42
2013-08-14, 06:13 PM
Derrek accepts Silas' handshake, and nods in response to both men. He glances at his sword, and decides to be honest with his comrades.

"Aye, there's a story behind this blade. I'm not sure about all of it myself. I don't have much association with my family, most of my time was spent with the Legion, and I don't regret any of it. But I did visit my family once, when I was building up my mercenary company. When I was there, I was given this sword. I don't know how my family got it, and I'm not even sure they knew what it was.

Since nobody was going to give me the information, I went out and researched it myself. Eventually, I got some answers. I don't like giving away this information freely, it puts a target on my head, but it's because of that that you all should know. This sword, in whatever bizarre way it got back to my family, once was the sword that killed the Lich King, back when he was just the Wizard King. I reckon it's got some kind of fancy magic to it, but I haven't been able to get anything special to happen yet. That doesn't stop certain forces from attacking me and my men trying to get it out of my hands, though."

Derrek finishes the story, sitting down and genuinely hoping that nothing bad happens to his new companions as a result of his sword's value.

DSCrankshaw
2013-08-14, 11:13 PM
For Silas, Simon, and Derrek:

Before long, the ship passes through the Wake Islands, and nears the shore. It's more rock than sand here, but Captain Ramis points out a relatively smooth patch, where a strip of sand escapes the wild grass of the hill above and stretches to the shore. There's still a day's journey inland until they reach the Boltstrike Pillar, but they can see it from here, Northeast of their current location. The tower looks like it's grown out of a natural rock formation, made of the same dark stone as the rock face, so it's hard to tell where one stops and the other begins. A silver flame dances on top of the tower. Even as they watch, lightning rips across the clear sky to strike the flame. The crew mutters at that, but they ready the rowboat nonetheless, while the team fetches their belongings.

But there's no sign of Leif.

After repeated knocks yield no results, they finally open the door. Leif's pack sits neatly at the foot of her bed, her belongings apparently inside, except for her armor. That lies on top of her made bed, laid out to fit an absent Leif. A quick search of the room turns up only a short note on the writing desk, which says:

I am sorry that I must leave, but it is time for me to go home.

-Leif Starfall

Hzurr
2013-08-16, 12:04 AM
Con check. [roll0]+4 shattered axe background

DSCrankshaw
2013-08-16, 11:44 PM
For Kharell:

Though tired, Kharell manages to sleep lightly, and he hears as the goblins break camp in the morning. He keeps hidden beneath a deadfall as they pass by, and is ready to follow before they get far.

Orsik Vondal
2013-08-17, 07:29 AM

Silas picks up the note and reads. "Interesting..." He looks over the armor and gear with a puzzled look on his face. "She was quiet, but I didn't know someone could fade away by not speaking. We should look into this after our mission to Boltstrike is complete. Tylar would want to know what happened to the paladin, and I for one would like to know myself. I say we entrust Leif's gear and armor to Captain Ramis for now, and on our return we see what leads we can glean from it."

Silas rubs his forehead. "I can't help but wonder...why? What happened? I hope she was not a spy. But if the Prince of Shadows is involved with all of this, I wouldn't be surprised...We must be vigilant." Silas lets the others read the note, but once they are finished, he places the note neatly in the pages of his journal. "I'll hold onto the note if that's okay."

Silas exits the cabin and heads toward the little boat that will take him and his companions to the shore.

Razorstorm
2013-08-18, 05:36 AM
During the journey, Simon spends time with Kulen, teaching him the basics of telekinesis (Mage Hand). He suspects that it will come naturally to him when he's agitated or stressed, so the key point is to learn to control it. He starts a regiment of meditation and focused practice, drawing on the lessons he remembers from his first days in the Acadamae.

Razorstorm
2013-08-18, 08:47 AM
In Leif's quarters:

"That is bizarre," remarks Simon. He takes a moment to inspect the room for any clues, and then pulls out a small lens on a chain tucked into his breast pocket, similar to a monocle, chants a few words. The lens starts glowing with a soft violet hue, and he holds it to his eye. He inspects the room again, checking for any magical patterns, residues, or signs.

Using Umbrae Training background. The monocle is a tool I just made up, nothing special (but I'll probably keep reusing it).
[roll0]

DSCrankshaw
2013-08-18, 08:50 AM
For Simon:

Simon's scan of the room finds no trace of magic.

Hzurr
2013-08-19, 08:21 AM

Kharell lets the goblins get a bit of a head start before setting out after them, waiting til they were more set into their march and not watching as closely. Rather than follow them directly, Kharell heads towards a nearby hill, to see if he can get a better picture for exactly where they were trying to get to.

Loki_42
2013-08-19, 12:53 PM
Derrek, Half-Orc Fighter

After landfall, Derrek joins his other companions. "I agree, this is strange. And we're down a fighter, we'll have to be careful. But we can't let it distract us too much, we have work to do."

DSCrankshaw
2013-08-19, 06:31 PM
For Kharell:

Kharell finds a decent vantage point to keep watch on the goblins. The group continues to head in the general direction of Boltstrike Pillar, but not on a direct path. It looks like they may be heading to someplace nearby.

But a smaller group breaks off and begins to head to the south. There are only five goblins in that group. One appears to wear an elaborate headdress of bone and raven feathers, and something seems a bit off about the rest.

If you make a wisdom check with religious knowledge background DC 15
The goblin in the headdress appears to be a shaman.

If your check beats DC 20
The other goblins look like they may be zombies.

For Simon, Silas, and Derrek:

You have yet to turn up anything useful in the room, but those with religious knowledge may be able to hazard a guess.

If you make an Intelligence check with religious knowledge background DC 20
It is believed that at least some Aasimar are angels come to earth, either exiled or sent on some mission. Those angels may be able to return home once they've completed their mission or atoned for their crimes. Or perhaps they may be recalled for other reasons.

OOC: Let me know when you're ready to get head out.

Razorstorm
2013-08-21, 01:11 AM
Simon shares a few final words with Kulen before he leaves. He gives him his card, and how he can get in touch with him if he ever needs help of comes to Glitterhaegen. However, since he may not be there, he also gives him te name of a contact at Admissions for the Acadamae, with instructions to say that "Simon sent him."

Hzurr
2013-08-21, 09:50 AM

Watching the zombies, Kharell's old training at the Cathedral rears it's head, and he clutches at the old holy symbol still under his cloak. Necromancy...if we hadn't suspected the Lich before, there's little doubt it's involved now.

Kharell follows the small group, but still keeps his distance. There's a reason the leader in the headdress broke off from the main horde, and Kharell wanted to know why.

DSCrankshaw
2013-08-21, 07:43 PM
For Derrek, Simon, and Silas:

Captain Ramis comes to see what the ruckus is in Leif's cabin, and is as confused as everyone else about what happened. "She didn't jump ship the normal way, I can tell you that much," he insists.

By now, the rowboat is ready to take you ashore, and after a quick goodbye, the three of you slide down the ladder and in to the boat. The crew men make short work with the oars, and drop you off the small strip of beach a moment later. Climbing the rise of the rocky shore, you get a clear view of Boltstrike pillar, about a day's walk to the northeast.

For Kharell:

As Kharell follows the goblins, he notices that they stop every couple of miles for the shaman to do something with the zombies. It's not until the fourth time that he realizes that the shaman is cutting off a tiny bit of the goblin's each time--some hair, a nail clipping, a bit of blood--and scattering it to the ground.

Hzurr
2013-08-22, 04:58 AM

Oh look, he's burying pieces. That's definitely not part of some unholy ritual. Kharell mutters to himself, drawing his axe. Moving around to where it looks as if the next "burial" spot is going to be, Kharell quickly climbs up a suitable looking tree that overlooks the path the goblins seem to be trodding along. Waiting patiently until they pass underneath him, Kharell hefts his axe and jumps down, letting his weight drive the axe blade towards the goblin leader. Despite a fantastic vantage point, Kharell catches his foot on the branch as he leaps down, throwing off his balance and sending his axe plunging into the dirt. He quickly throws out a kick to try and fend off the goblins, but the time it takes to pull his axe out of the ground leaves him dangerously open.

Hiding in an ambush location (wis)? [roll0]+4(shattered axe tribe - I'm guessing Ambushing creatures in the forest is something a barbarian tribe would do often).

Attack: [roll1] Miss, I'm guessing Damage: [roll2] 1 damage on a miss.

Init: [roll3] Ouch...

Razorstorm
2013-08-22, 11:08 AM
Simon adjusts some straps on his backpack, making sure everything was secure and accessible. "There's our destination. Shall we, gentlemen?" He's ready to hike.

Orsik Vondal
2013-08-22, 07:40 PM

"With all haste. And may The Great Eye lead us to the answers we seek."

Silas checks his gear and looks back to Derrek. "You should probably take point. Simon, be our eyes and ears on our flanks. I'll take the back and watch for enemies on our tail."

DSCrankshaw
2013-08-22, 08:21 PM
DM post (really)

Checking over their gear, Simon, Silas, and Derrek begin to walk toward Boltstrike Pillar. There's a cool breeze coming from the ocean, keeping the temperature pleasant. The smell of the sea fills the air, and the cries of seagulls only gradually falls behind them. Soon they find a trail which seems to be heading in the general direction they want to go, leading into the forest surrounding the Pillar. The trees cut the breeze, but the shade keeps the air cool.
-----
The goblin shaman leaps a couple of feet into the air when an axe lands on the ground right next to him, followed by a fearsome barbarian. Shouting something in goblin tongue, he turns and runs, leaving himself open to attack, feathers and small bones flying from his headdress. Two of the zombie goblins lope after him, while the other two turn to engage the barbarian. One of them has crude stitching connecting his head to his neck, and looks very familiar to Kharell. The two of them flail wildly at Kharell, and the very familiar one gets in a lucky hit.

The fleeing shaman isn't just yelling in alarm. He's calling for help. In moments two goblins step out of the forest, glancing between the shaman and the barbarian. The two scouts grumble at seeing the mess, but quickly form up to guard the shaman.

-----

Derrek, Simon, and Silas all hear a commotion up ahead, including someone shouting in what sounds like goblin. They round the corner to find a group of five goblins standing in a tight cluster, while an Aasimar barbarian fights off two other goblins.

-----

OOC:

Roll initiative. You can take an action if you beat [roll0].

There are two main groups, who are far away from each other, but nearby everyone in the group.

Nearby Kharell:
Zombie goblin 1 - engaged with Kharell
Zombie goblin 2 - engaged with Kharell
Kharell - engaged with zombie goblins 1 and 2 - 2 damage

Nearby Simon, Derrek, and Silas:
Zombie goblin 3
Zombie goblin 4
Goblin scout 1
Goblin scout 2
Goblin shaman - 1 damage
Simon
Derrek
Silas

The two groups are far away from each other.

Kharell gets an OA against the goblin shaman.

Zombie goblin 1
[roll1]
2 damage on a hit

Zombie goblin 2
[roll2]
2 damage on a hit

Hzurr
2013-08-23, 04:58 AM
Kharell - Aasimar Barbarian - HP: 28/30

As the goblin shaman runs off, Kharell takes a quick swipe, even as the zombified form of the goblin that gave him so much trouble yesterday throws a quick punch that connects with Kharell's neck.

Spying a group of not-goblins near his prey, Kharell calls out. "Hello over there! If you could do me a favor and distract them for just a few moments, I'll take care of these two really quick. Give me just a moment, and I'll be over there."

It appears that Kharell's luck with this goblin (What is it with this guy?) hasn't changed, and his axe doesn't break the goblin's undead skin.

Init: 4 (from last round)
OA: [roll]1d20+4[/rolll] OOC: rolled a 7 Damage: [roll0] miss: 1

Actual attack this round: OOC: Rolled an 11 Damage: Miss 1

Razorstorm
2013-08-23, 06:45 PM
Simons Initiative

[roll0]
[roll1]

Loki_42
2013-08-24, 01:55 PM
And Derrek's Initiative:

[roll0]

DSCrankshaw
2013-08-24, 02:31 PM
DM Post

Seeing three armed men come around the boulder in the path on the other side, the shaman starts barking orders to his minions. The two zombies with him lumber toward you, moving to engage Derrek. Meanwhile, the scouts take position on either side of the shaman, between him and Kharell on one side, and between the him and the rest of you on the other. They have bows in hand, and start shooting at the party. Kharell and Simon both have near misses with arrows (4 damage each).

The Shaman, meanwhile, raises some sort of magic totem--it looks like a mummified goblin hand--and gestures at Silas. Silas feels woozy (8 damage), and suddenly the fast moving goblins start making him dizzy (takes 2 damage whenever an enemy engages or disegnages from him). Derrek is caught in the spell as well, and also has trouble focusing on the goblins (takes 2 damage whenever an enemy engages or disegnages from him).

The zombies wail away at their targets. The ones attacking Kharell land solid hits. The familiar one hits Kharell so hard that one of its arms fall off (2 extra damage to both Kharell and the goblin). Derrek manages to fend off one, but the other one gets in a lucky hit (2 damage).

OOC:

Now that we're in combat, please put your AC, PD, MD, and HP (current and max) at the top of your post.

Escalation die: 1 for Kharell, none for everyone else.

Damage to PCs is just this round, damage to monsters is cumulative

Nearby Kharell:
Kharell - engaged with zombie goblins 1 and 2 - 10 damage
Zombie goblin 1 - engaged with Kharell - 3 total mook damage
Zombie goblin 2 - engaged with Kharell - 3 total mook damage

Nearby Simon, Derrek, and Silas:
Goblin scout 1 - free, between shaman and Kharell
Goblin shaman - free - 2 damage
Goblin scout 2 - free, between shaman and Derrek, Simon, and Silas
Zombie goblin 3 - engaged with Derrek - 3 total mook damage
Zombie goblin 4 - engaged with Derrek - 3 total mook damage
Derrek - engaged with zombie goblins 3 and 4 - 2 damage (takes 2 damage whenever enemy engages or disengages)
Simon - free - 4 damage
Silas - free - 8 damage (takes 2 damage whenever an enemy engages or disengages)

Zombie goblin 1 attacks Kharell
[roll0]
Damage 2
Natural 16+: [roll1] damage to both target and itself

Zombie goblin 2 attacks Kharell
[roll2]
Damage 2
Natural 16+: [roll3] damage to both target and itself

Zombie goblin 3 attacks Derrek
[roll4]
Damage 2
Natural 16+: [roll5] damage to both target and itself

Zombie goblin 4 attacks Derrek
[roll6]
Damage 2
Natural 16+: [roll7] damage to both target and itself

Goblin scout 1 attacks Kharell
[roll8]
Damage 4

Goblin scout 2 attacks Simon
[roll9]
Damage 4

Shaman uses shaking curse on Silas
[roll10]
Damage 8
Until end of shaman's next turn, Silas takes 2 damage whenever an enemy engages/disengages from him.
Natural even roll: The engage/disengage also applies to Derrek

Orsik Vondal
2013-08-24, 08:44 PM
AC 18 PD 14 MD 15 HP 19/27

Silas curses under his breath. This goblin necromancer had provoked the wrong librarian. Silas surveys the battlefield looking for a viable strategy. "You will pay for that, defiler!" he yells even as he staggers from the goblin's spell. "Derrek, engage the goblin necromancer to keep him busy! His armor looks weak on his left side!" Silas raises his mace in the air then drops it to point at the shaman. A bolt of light jumps from the end of the weapon and streaks toward the shaman casting his shadow far behind him. The bolt misses but the searing light makes the shaman cringe.

"Simon, Silas turns to look at him. "Light. Him. Up!"

Quick action: Invocation of War
The Escalation Die (ED) increases by 1

Standard action: Javelin of Faith
[roll0] vs. PD, targeting the shaman. Allies gain a +1 to attacks against the shaman USONT.
Hit: [roll1] holy damage
Miss: 1 holy damage

DSCrankshaw
2013-08-24, 10:33 PM
DM post

Calling on the more martial aspect of his god, Silas increases his side's momentum.

Escalation die: 2 for Kharell, 1 for everyone else

Razorstorm
2013-08-25, 12:50 PM
Simon
HP - 24 / 24 AC - 13*PD - 13 MD - 15

When he gets attacked...
Seeing the arrow coming at him, Simon swipes a hand in front of himself, and a shield of wind gusts to deflect the arrow off to the side.

Casting Shield as a reaction - Rerolling the goblin's attack, it keeps whichever result was more beneficial to me.
[roll0]
New roll misses, damage prevented.

On his turn...
Simon draws his wand from his belt traces a quick pattern in the air, then thrusts it forward, and a chaotic blast of disorienting light and sound washes over the nearby goblins.

Casting Color Spray (I included the +1 from Silas on the Shaman, and the +1 escalation bonus)
Goblin Scout 1 [roll1] vs MD
Goblin Scout 2 [roll2] vs MD
Goblin Shaman [roll3] vs MD
Zombie Goblin 1 [roll4] vs MD
Zombie Goblin 2 [roll5] vs MD

On hit: [roll6] psychic damage AND if target has 10 hp or fewer after taking damage, it is weakened until EONT

DSCrankshaw
2013-08-25, 01:01 PM
DM post

OOC: Color spray only affects 1d4 nearby enemies in a group. I'll let you count the shaman, the scouts, and zombies 3 and 4 (1 and 2 are far away) as a group, but roll 1d4 to see how many you affect. I'll apply it to the first 1d4 you listed, with the exception that the shaman will come between the two scouts (in a group means that you can't skip over any--see the glossary definition on p. 311).

Razorstorm
2013-08-25, 01:58 PM
Good catch! Sorry about that!
[roll0]

Hzurr
2013-08-26, 04:42 AM
Kharell - Aasimar Barbarian - HP: 18/30

Kharell pauses to rub his jaw as the zombie slugs him across the face. "I feel like I should make a joke about you lending me a hand, but frankly, I'm not in the mood." Kharell kicks the Zombie arm away as his body begins to glow. Raising his axe, he gives a battle cry as he brings it down on the zombie, hoping that the nice gaping wound in its side will provide little resistance to his axe blade. Had they been living creatures, the axe would have easily been turned aside, but the zombie's reflexes are too slow to deflect the axe, and the sharpened blade slices into the undead creature.

Finally meeting with some success, Kharell gives a roar of triumph, and renewed vigor fills him.

OOC: If that hit will drop both zombies, Kharell will move up to engage the shaman

Using Halo, +2 to defenses until they hit me.
Using UNSTOPPABLE!
[roll0] (+4 +2 Esc)
If I hit, I heal: [roll2] HP

End-of-turn:
HP: 26/30
AC: 16+2, PD: 15+2, MD: 11+2

Loki_42
2013-08-26, 09:59 PM
Derrek, Half-Orc Fighter
HP: 34/36; AC: 19; PD: 12; MD: 11

Derrek nods at the cleric and grins as he draws his sword. First he swings at the foul zombies, bracing himself for any future hits. The hit connects, hacking off the already weakened, putrefied limbs, and a spray of gore and viscera splatters against his armor. Derrek barely bats an eye, having seen worse in his day, but he does make a mental note to clean his mail.

He walks over the now very dead undead and makes his way to the Shaman. Leaning into his sword, Derrek says, "If you thought that was something, necromancer, I should warn you. I'm very good at killing magic users."

Standard Action: Defensive Fighting on the goblins, I get a +2 to AC until the end of my next turn.:
Attack: [roll0]
Miss: 1 damage.

Move action to engage with the Shaman.

DSCrankshaw
2013-08-26, 11:05 PM
DM post

Silas begins by invoking the power of his god to strengthen his allies, and everyone fights just a little bit harder. He fails to save enough of the blessing for himself, and his own attack does no more than startle the goblin shaman.

Which is enough to leave him open to Simon's magical assault, a barrage of light that leaves both the shaman and one of his guards dizzy (12 damage). The shaman quickly recovers, but the scout still looks unsteady on his feet (weakened)

Kharell and Derrek follow-up with vicious attacks against the zombies. Kharell finally slays the goblin who's been haunting him since yesterday (11 damage), taking out the other zombie on the backhand. The satisfaction of finally killing that goblin makes his injuries seem lighter (8 hp healing). Derrek's zombies practically explode in a whirlwind of gore (24 damage). Both warriors charge toward the shaman, but Derrek is intercepted by one of the scouts, while Kharell is too far away to reach the shaman.

The wild-eyed shaman turns his magic against the dangerous half-orc, and Derrek feels a trembling steal into his limbs (8 damage). Kharell is alarmed to find the magic affecting him too (2 damage whenever an enemy engages/disengages for both Kharell and Derrek).

Both scouts give up their bows and move to attack the warriors with their spears. The shaking gets worse for Kharell as the goblin attacks, but the dizzy scout fails to land a hit (2 damage from shaking curse).

The scout attacking Derrek lands a quick strike (4 damage), and then tries to dance back, but Derrek's long sword keeps him from getting far.

-------------------

OOC:

Escalation die: 3 for Kharell, 2 for everyone else.

Zombie goblin 1
Zombie goblin 2

All remaining combatants are nearby:
Kharell - engaged with scout 1 - 2 damage + 8 healing (2 damage whenever enemy engages/disengages)
Goblin scout 1 - engaged with Kharell - 12 damage overall (weakened, staggered)
Goblin shaman - free - 14 damage overall
Goblin scout 2 - engaged with Derrek -
Derrek - engaged with goblin scout 2 - 12 damage (2 damage whenever enemy engages/disengages)
Zombie goblin 3
Zombie goblin 4
Simon - free -
Silas - free -

Goblin scout 2 intercepts Derrek

Goblin shaman uses shaking curse on Derrek
[roll0]
On hit, 8 damage, and target takes 2 damage whenever enemy disengages, engages or disengages
On even roll, 2 damage on engage/disengage affects Kharell too

Goblin scout 1 engages Kharell

Goblin scout 1 attacks Kharell using pointy spear
[roll1] -4 [weakened]
Damage 4

Goblin scout 2 attacks Derrek using pointy spear
[roll2]
Damage 4

Goblin scout 2 disengages from Derrek
[roll3] -4 [threatening]

Razorstorm
2013-08-26, 11:28 PM
Simon
HP - 24 / 24 AC - 13 PD - 13 MD - 15

Simon stares down the goblin shaman from across the melee, a silent challenge. He slips into a practiced defensive posture for magical duels, his body turned to present a slimmer target, his left hand held low and out in front, his right hand above his head, the tip of his wand pointing at the goblin. He carefully studies the goblin's movement, a counterspell ready on his lips. He ducks left around another combatant, and quickly jabs his wand at the shaman. A thin strike of lightning arcs from his wand to the goblin with a sharp crackle, and the smell of ozone.

Arc Lightning
To hit: [roll0] vs PD (EDIT: totally forgot the escalation die! +2 = 14 vs PD)
Hit: [roll1]
Special: When attack roll is natural even hit, if target is staggered after taking damage, they are Dazed until EONT.

If the shaman casts a spell this next round, Simon will counterspell it. If that happens, please roll for me. It's +5 vs MD. If he succeeds their spell is lost, as is the action they spent to cast it.

Hzurr
2013-08-27, 06:00 AM
Kharell - Aasimar Barbarian - HP: 24/30

A shiver goes down Kharell's spine as the curse takes hold of him. "I'm coming for you!" he growls, pointing at the Shaman, but turns to focus his attention on the Scout engaged with him. With a quick feint to the right, Kharell raises his shield and brings his axe around for a low cut against the Goblin's legs. The strike goes true, and digs into the goblin's thigh, sending blood splattering on the ground.

[roll0]
Damage: [roll1] + 8 (see OOC thread for crit extra damage roll)

Orsik Vondal
2013-08-27, 06:24 AM

Silas looses another bolt of light from his mace that flies toward the shaman. Perhaps he could make an opening for this deadly aasimar. He smirks as the axe-wielding death-machine cleaves through the scout. "This might be providence..." He runs back to Derrek and invokes the healing knowledge of his god to bind the half-orc's wounds.

[roll0] vs. PD, targeting the shaman. Allies gain a +1 to attacks against the shaman USONT.

Move action: Close behind Derrek

Quick action: Use Heal on Derrek. Derrek can use a recovery.

Loki_42
2013-08-27, 09:47 PM
Derrek, Half-Orc Fighter
HP: 28/36; AC: 17; PD: 12; MD: 11; Crit Range: 19-20

The goblin tries to dodge away from Derrek, but fails as the half-orc keeps pace with him, despite the harmful magic taking effect on the fighter. Derrek feels the comforting warmth of Silas' healing magic, and faces the annoying scout. He bellows "Get out of my way! I'm here to see your boss!"

Derrek then tries to bring his sword down onto the scouts head, before turning his attention back toward the shaman.

Recovery: [roll0]
Carve an Opening against the scout: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]
Miss: 1 damage
Move action to either disengage with the scout ([roll3]), or if the scout is dead, engage with the shaman.

DSCrankshaw
2013-08-27, 10:04 PM
DM Post

Simon sends a bolt of lightning at the shaman, sending him staggering (9 damage, staggered, dazed).

Kharell's axe ends the life of another goblin (16 damage), leaving no enemies between him and the shaman.

After sharing some quick healing with Derrek (10 hp), Silas again sends a beam of light at the shaman. This time his aim is true, and the shaman sways on his feet (7 damage).

Derrek blade bites into the goblin, but fails to kill him (7 damage). However, he manages to escape his threatening spear and engage the shaman.

Barely staying on his feet, the shaman forgets his totem and instead attacks with his spear. The remaining goblin scout joins in, also trying to stab Derrek. The shaman proves the better fighter, and his spear penetrates the legionary's defenses (5 damage).

-----------------

OOC:

Escalation die: 4 for Kharell, 3 for everyone else.

Kharell - free -
Goblin scout 1
Goblin shaman - engaged with Derrek - 30 damage overall
Goblin scout 2 - engaged with Derrek - 7 damage overall
Derrek - engaged with goblin scout 2 and shaman - 5 damage + 10 healing
Simon - free -
Silas - free -

Shaman attacks Derrek with spear
[roll0]
Damage 5

Goblin scout 2 engages and attacks
[roll1]
Damage 4

Razorstorm
2013-08-27, 10:21 PM
Simon
HP - 24 / 24 AC - 13 PD - 13 MD - 15

Quickly pressing his advantage on the fading Shaman, Simon circles to the side so he has a clearer shot at the engaged goblin. He lets off a barrage of zaps of lightning from his wand at the shaman, as wind whips around him.

Arc Lightning
To hit: [roll0] vs PD (remembered ED, did not include cleric bonus)
Hit: [roll1]
Special: When attack roll is natural even hit, if target is staggered after taking damage, they are Dazed until EONT.

If the shaman casts a spell this next round, Simon will counterspell it. If that happens, please roll for me. It's +5 vs MD. If he succeeds their spell is lost, as is the action they spent to cast it.

Hzurr
2013-08-28, 06:20 AM

The Aasimar pauses as he sees goblins falling around him. Looking to this strange group of travelers, he nods appreciatively. "I shall thank you properly in a moment. If you'll excuse me, my axe has an engagement to attend."

With a leap, Kharell brings his axe down against the remaining goblin scout.

Attack:[roll0]

Loki_42
2013-08-28, 08:46 PM
Derrek, Half-Orc Fighter
HP: 23/36; AC: 17; PD: 12; MD: 11; Crit Range: 18-20

Derrek sees his ally's magic tear into the shaman, quite likely killing it, and briefly gets a disappointed look as he runs his fingers over the hilt to his blade. After he finishes his sulking, he faces the strange aasimar and joins him in trying to kill the pesky goblin, putting his force behind him for an extra powerful blow.

Carve an Opening: [roll0]
Power Attack: [roll2]
Miss: 1+Power Attack damage

DSCrankshaw
2013-08-28, 10:31 PM
DM Post

Simon sends another bolt of lightning at the shaman, this time causing him to collapse into a still twitching heap of charcoaled flesh (11 damage).

And between Kharell's axe (7 damage) and some impressive swordwork by (17 damage), the other goblin is still failed.

There is a moment of calm as the battle seems to end, until Silas notices that the shaman's twitching hasn't stopped. Instead, it's taking on a different characteristic as dark energy seems to draw the heat from the air, and the shaman once more climbs to its feet, it's burned body lurching at his killer in a vicious mockery of life. Its charred fists find the wizard's vulnerable flesh (2 damage).

Derrek turns to go to his aid, but the fallen scout has also returned to its feet, and chomps on Derrek's ankle (2 damage). Unfortunately, while the bite is quite vicious, the zombie's jaw is loose, and it falls off in the attack (4 damage to both Derrek and zombie).

-----------------

OOC:

Escalation die: 5 for Kharell, 4 for everyone else.

Kharell - free -
Goblin shaman zombie - engaged with Simon - 4 damage to zombie mooks
Goblin scout zombie - engaged with Derrek - 4 damage to zombie mooks
Derrek - engaged with Goblin scout zombie - 6 damage
Simon - free - 2 damage
Silas - free -

Goblin shaman zombie attacks Simon
[roll0]
Damage 2
Natural 16+: Extra [roll1] damage to both zombie and target

Goblin scout zombie attacks Derrek
[roll2]
Damage 2
Natural 16+: Extra [roll3] damage to both zombie and target

Hzurr
2013-08-29, 06:16 AM

As the goblins lurch back to life, Kharell rolls his eyes. "I've got too many of you scum to kill to be bothered doing it twice!" He glances towards the half-orc, but since he looks capable of taking care of himself, Kharell dashes off towards the wizard to help in the battle against the Shaman.

Like any good member of his tribe, Kharell charges axe-first.

Attack: [roll0] (+4+5 ED+1 Silas)

Orsik Vondal
2013-08-29, 05:22 PM

"Necromancers...such a pain." Silas was getting tired of these goblins. "I remember a story about a band of sailor clerics that hunted the undead. Ritter, Valyn, Forick and Brand. The Four Oarsmen. They sailed around and rid the land of foul abominations such as you! I call on their strength now!" With that Silas slams his mace on the ground, and a circle of light erupts around him. After the blaze four spectral men clad in chain mail wielding an assortment of weapons--a warhammer, a mace and shield, a great sword, two short swords--stand at the ready and survey the field.

"That one," Silas says as he raises his mace to point at the zombie scout. Eight ethereal eyes lock onto the goblin. The Four Oarsmen let out ghostly wails as they charge, weapons slicing, smashing and ripping at the shaman. As they pass through Derrek his armor glows briefly.

[b]Standard action: Spirits of the Righteous
[roll0] (+4 Wis, +1 lvl, +4 ED) vs. scout MD
Hit: [roll1] holy damage, and your nearby ally (Derrek) with the fewest hit points gains a +4 bonus to AC until the end of your next turn.

Miss: Your nearby ally with the fewest hit points (Derrek) gains a +2 bonus to AC until the end of your next turn.

DSCrankshaw
2013-08-29, 05:49 PM
DM post

Silas's magic and Kharell's axe bring the two zombies down. There is a tense moment while everyone waits to see if they will rise again, but all the bodies lie still this time.

End of combat

Orsik Vondal
2013-08-29, 06:04 PM
Silas spits and turns to the aasimar. He doesn't stow his mace just yet, though. He remembers back to the beginning of the fight and the positions of the combatants. "Well, we stumbled upon this band of zombies, but it seems like you were tracking them. What brought you here, aasimar?"

Razorstorm
2013-08-29, 09:05 PM
While Silas interrogates the newcomer, Simon kneels down to investigate the twice-slain body of the goblin Shaman, and then the others. Spontaneously rising as zombies when killed is certainly unusual. Dark magic had to be involved, and dark magic was something he had lots of experience investigating. Along the way he pulls out his monocle to investigate any magical auras or residues.

Umbral Inquisitor training [roll0]

DSCrankshaw
2013-08-29, 09:12 PM
Simon's almost positive that there was some kind of necromancy at work.

Hzurr
2013-08-30, 06:50 AM

Kharell arches an eyebrow. "What brought me here? I was tracking goblins." He gives a wry smile.

"I've been away from the cities for a while, but if I recall it's customary to introduce yourself." He extends a hand. "My name is Kharell, of the Shattered Axe clan."

He glances towards where Silas is examining the Shaman. "These goblins are part of a larger group not too far from here. I suspected that they may be in league with the Lich King, and the presence of these zombies confirms it for me. That one" he motions to the dead shaman. "Has been circling around separate from the bulk of the goblins, planting pieces of the undead in the ground. My guess is that it's part of some ritual, but I don't know enough to say for certain. Would you be interested in taking a look to see if you can figure out what they were up to?"

DSCrankshaw
2013-08-30, 11:13 PM
In Silas's searching, he turns up 26 gp and a well-made harp that's stained with blood, which one of the scouts had in his pack. He can tell that the harp is magical, although it may take someone with music-attuned magic to use it. He also notices a tattoo on the shaman's forehead in the shape of the Lich King's symbol.

Orsik Vondal
2013-08-31, 06:34 AM

Silas gives a slightly quizzical look when Kharell says he is of the Shattered Axe Tribe. An aasimar in a half-orc tribe!? He would test him to be certain. "Too true. I am Silas Fletcher, Follower of The Great Eye and Arbiter of Reclamation for the Empire. I recently had an assignment near the lands of your tribe. I was fascinated with your customs and people, and I am gladdened to meet another of the Tribe, Kharell Avenger." Silas grasps the aasimar's hand and bends his elbow bringing their fists to eye level locking eyes with him. His voice takes on a more earnest tone chanting more than speaking his words. "We are now Brothers in the Hunt, you and I. We have shared in its bloody bounty. You have laid low a great number, and so the orc's share of the plunder is yours by right. May you honor it with your skill. And may it honor you as trophy of your deeds." Silas squeezes Kharell's hand and releases his grasp. He then takes hold of the aasimar's shoulders and slams his head into Kharell's. After a moment of seeing several stars before his vision, Silas gives his head a shake and regains his balance. He turns slowly and searches the bodies for any loot and finds a pouch of gold and a harp. He also rips an ear off the twice dead shaman noticing the tattoo on the shaman's forehead as he does. He presents the lot to Kharell allowing him to choose his booty. He studies the aasimar's face looking for signs of recognition.

"And I believe you are correct, my friend. These do appear to be under the command of the Lich King. The shaman bears his mark."

Razorstorm
2013-08-31, 03:40 PM
Simon arches an eyebrow at Silas' interaction with the barbarian. Respectfully waiting for them to finish their... bonding... "You are full of surprises, sir." He says with an incredulous smile. "Well met, Kharell. I am Simon Baltar," he offers along with a handshake. "I, for one, would be very interested in taking a look at whatever mischief this shaman has been planting. From there, we must continue on to Boltstrike Pillar. We have important business there."

Loki_42
2013-08-31, 11:45 PM
Derrek, Half-Orc Fighter

Derrek nods at the barbarian. "You fought well, Kharell. The name is Derrek. I'm a mercenary."

"You say the goblins were with the Lich King? That... troubles me. I've had trouble with him before." Derrek sheathes his blade, and extends his hand to the aasimar.

Hzurr
2013-09-01, 06:31 AM

Kharell grins as Silas clasps his hand in the traditional manner. He pulls his head back for the traditional post-battle headbutt, but suddenly staggers as his eyes roll back in his head for a brief moment. It only takes a second for Kharell to recover, and he gives Silas a look of pity and remorse before quickly shaking it off and giving a warm smile again.

"Hmm...that confirms my suspicions, although I'd rather they be disproved. The lich-king is not a foe I'm quite ready to anger at this point in my life."

When Derrek approaches, Kharell relaxes a bit, clearly more comfortable with the Half-Orc. "You also fought well. It was a pleasure to battle along side you."

At Derrek's mention of the Lich-King, Kharell takes a moment to examine the humans spellcasters and the half-orc he assumes is here to guard them. "You were not expecting agents of the Lich-King here? May I ask what has brought you here? Not many venture so close to the tower without purpose."

Orsik Vondal
2013-09-02, 03:05 PM
Silas shoulders his mace and looks at Simon and Derrek in turn. There is no coincidence. Only providence. The only question was whether providence was bringing them an ally or an obstacle. He thought about the situation:

-The aasimar he met in Tylar's office was strong, a fighter of some sort.
-The aasimar then disappeared without preamble off of a ship on the sea. Possibly taken back to where she came from.
-Shortly thereafter he stumbles upon another aasimar. Strong. A fighter.
-There are no coincidences.
-Only Providence.

Silas straightens and faces Kharell. "If you don't mind possibly postponing your tribe's vengeance, you may be able to help us uncover the cause of a magical disturbance at Boltstrike Pillar. And with the Lich King active in this area, our two endeavors may be linked. I'm sure Simon wouldn't mind another axe-hand between him and danger, and I would enjoy fighting alongside a Shattered Axe once again. We can fill you in on the details as we go. So what do you say, Kharell Avenger? Will you join us?"

Razorstorm
2013-09-02, 03:56 PM
Simon steps forward to join the conversation, with clear professionalism. "As to our business at the Pillar, our assistance is required on some issues of security and support, but we knew nothing about activity of the Lich-King's forces in the area. I can only hope that the leaders at Boltstrike are aware, but we've heard nothing. Are roving bands like these commonplace in these parts? Would they even warrant a mention in a report, or are they just part of daily life here?"

Hzurr
2013-09-03, 10:57 AM
Kharell

Kharell's eyes narrow again as Silas speaks. He quickly searches his brain, running through his previous conversation to remember if he had said anything about his quest for vengeance. How does he know these things? The first time I venture away from the tribe since I fled the Cathedral, and I find myself in the company of a cleric who knows too much about me. This is too strange to be coincidence. I must watch him, even though I already know his fate...

His mind briefly goes to the item wrapped in cloth in his bag, but he quickly pushes down that memory.

Out loud, he responds to Simon. "Raiding bands are common, yes, but it's rare to find any this large or this organized. I've never been privy to what types of reports are sent, but I'd guess that this should be mentioned on them.

I haven't approached Boltstrike yet, so I'm uncertain as to what condition it was in, but a large force of the goblins looked to be heading in that direction. If the leaders at Boltstrike don't know about the goblins yet, I'd guess they will before too long."

"If you're headed towards the tower, I'd be happy to come with you. I doubt you'll get there without encountering more of these creatures." He pauses to kick a goblin corpse. "And I've a grudge with them I think you may be able to help me meet."

Kharell pauses, and slowly moves from corpse to corpse, using his axe to separate the heads and arms from the bodies. "Just in case they have another necromancer with them, I'd prefer not to leave intact corpses behind. Come, I'll show you where the shaman has buried the other pieces. Hopefully you can make more sense of it than I could."

Razorstorm
2013-09-03, 11:07 AM
The group continues to the nearest site of the zombie burials. Simon evaluates the area, analyzing the decrepit body parts, their arrangement, the magical signatures, and any signs of ritual (circles, drawings, power residues, etc). It is thorough, and very forensic, similar to watching a detective analyze a crime scene.

Umbral Inquisitor training [roll0]
(I remembered to add my level and Int this time!)

DSCrankshaw
2013-09-03, 11:22 AM
DM post

From what Simon can tell, this appears to be an anti-scrying ritual. It wouldn't prevent someone from telling that there were goblins or undead in the area, but it would make it hard to precisely locate them, as the ritual would diffuse their essence throughout the area. The good news is that the ritual was not completed, and as it stands now, it has no effect.

Razorstorm
2013-09-03, 11:31 AM
"Hmm," Simon scratches his short beard as he stands up from his investigations. "It appears that the Lich-King's forces are trying to obscure their movements from the watchers at Boltstrike. But... either this particular site was never completed, or it's part of some larger ritual that has yet to happen. Either way..." He proceeds to blast the spot of ground apart with blasts of lightning from his want, sending chunks of dirt and zombie flying. He clears his throat, and straightens his jacket. "It won't work now. We'll make sure to discuss this with the leadership at the Pillar."

DSCrankshaw
2013-09-03, 09:04 PM
DM post

Having identified the purpose of the ritual and disrupted it, the party continues their journey to Boltstrike Pillar. It is just a few hours from where they are now, and they are relieved to find that there are no goblins in sight. Wherever they were marching, they weren't heading directly to the Pillar.

On closer inspection, the Pillar doesn't look much different than it did from close by. It looks like a tower growing out of a natural rock formation, with an obviously magical flame on top. Around the base of the tower are more obviously man-made dwelling--a long haul, a well, some smaller buildings, a pen for livestock, and a large herb garden, all surrounded by a tall wooden palisade of vertical trunks with sharpened ends.

Lounging outside the open gate is a boy of no more than sixteen, flipping a knife into the air and catching it with practiced ease. He frowns at the approaching adventurers and says, "Who might you lot be?"

Orsik Vondal
2013-09-03, 10:21 PM

As they trek toward Boltstrike Silas fills Kharell in on the main details of their mission. The Crusader's Warhammer. The weakening magical wards of the Pillar. Taking the hammer back to be examined. And determining the magical enchantment upon it. When the boy accosts them, Silas steps forward and raises a hand to silence the others.

"We are the team sent from Facilitator Tylar in Axis to assist in the removal of the relic. Please inform your commanding officer that we have arrived. We will wait here for you to return."

As soon as the "gate guard" leaves Silas turns to Kharell. "We previously had another aasimar fighter in our party. She left--more disappeared--in haste before we even made land. If they do not know the specific composition of the band that left Tylar, I see no need in telling them that you are not necessarily from Axis or here for our mission. One item I have not told you yet is that the Prince of Shadows may be involved in this scheme." He speaks to everyone now more than Kharell alone. "And let us keep the Lich King information to ourselves for now. The Prince may still have eyes and ears in Boltstrike. It would be nice to have an ace up our sleeves to play at the opportune time. Just in case. If need be, we can divulge our information should keeping it secret endanger innocent lives. Agreed?"

Loki_42
2013-09-04, 08:07 PM
Derrek, Half-Orc Fighter

Derrek looks around, and then lowers his tone to match Silas'. "I don't know, the Lich King is bad news. I don't know much about the Prince, but I'm sure the Lich King will make himself known before long. And if he knows I'm here, it could get real messy, real quick. And if that happens, you can sure bet I'm not gonna let anyone get hurt because I wanted to keep some secret.

Besides, if the Prince of Shadows has so many spies, shouldn't he know about the Lich King's involvement already?"

DSCrankshaw
2013-09-04, 09:01 PM
DM post

The boy looks you over. "So you're the agents that were sent?" he says. "I'll go get someone important then." He heads through the gate, but pauses to look over his shoulder. "Stay there! I can't lower the gate wards myself, and they're not set to let you lot in."

The party's left staring at the gate while the boy heads off, calling for someone named Amelia.

Before they can give serious consideration to how strong the aforementioned wards are, the boy returns with a middle aged half-elf wearing robes and chain armor, and wearing a sword at her side. Beside her is a young human male, with more traditional wizardly accoutrements, a green robe and a staff.
The human smiles, the half-elf does not.

"So Tylar sent you?" she says. "Well, I suppose that means that you know what you're doing. I'm Ameliefor, the Wizard Militant here, and this is Varis, my second. Did you run into any trouble on the way?"

Hzurr
2013-09-05, 08:50 AM

At Silas' suggestion, Kharell nods. "I am an aasimar traveling with your party to investigate what's going on. I see no reason to divulge any more than that." He gives a wry smile, but waits to let others answer the half-elf.

Razorstorm
2013-09-05, 09:56 AM
Simon bows with respectfully to the lady. "Yes, miss. I am Umbrae Baltar. These gentlemen," gesturing to his companions, "are Silas, Derrek, and Kharell. Facilitator Tylar briefed us about the situation, but we are lacking in details. Between the port and here we did encounter a band of goblins in the service to Lich-King. It seems that they are part of a much larger force acting in the area. More concerning, we found signs that they have been working on coordinated rituals to obscure your visibility in the region. Were you already aware of all this? We couldn't be sure how successful their obfuscations were."

DSCrankshaw
2013-09-05, 08:48 PM
DM post

At the mention of goblins and the Lich King, Varis and Ameliefor exchange a startled look. "No goblins, especially servants of the Lich King, should have gotten this close without setting off the wards," the Wizard Militant says. "It is indeed alarming if they have potent enough magic to deceive the wards. I should consult with the wizards in Boltstrike Pillar. Perhaps we can attempt a scrying to see where they went. In the meantime, Varis will show you to your accomodations."

Ameliefor hurries off, leaving you with Varis. "Pleased to meet you. I'm Varis Tolbet. You folks are from Axis? I hail from Horizon myself. Is it true that you see dragons everyday in Axis?" He leads you to a long hallway of stone, with a wooden roof. Inside is a barracks, with room for about twenty men. It's empty at the moment, and Varis gestures to two sets of bunkbeds at the end of the room. "Feel free to make use of those. There's an outhouse out back. Is there anything else you need?"

Orsik Vondal
2013-09-06, 12:59 PM

"That is just a rumor. Dragons don't roam the Axian skies. Though The Gold Wyrm favors our city, there are more pressing situations that require their attention. Every once in a while a dragon will make an appearance, but those times are infrequent." Jokingly Silas turns to the others and says with a laugh, "And The Priestess probably doesn't want dragon dung all over her pretty little Cathedral. Am I right?"

Silas faces Varis again. "No, thank you. We'll just settle in here and join up with Ameliefor and Militant after their meeting."

When Varis leaves, Silas puts his pack down and pulls out his notes. "I'm going to start canvassing the pillar looking for traces of the Prince's handiwork. Simon, you can aid in the search if you wish. Just don't interrupt my method. We can divide and conquer. If you're up for it, Kharell, I could use an extra set of eyes to watch my back."

Hzurr
2013-09-07, 08:42 PM

Kharell nods, and takes a place behind Silas. He avoids speaking, just in case one of the soldiers here recognizes the accent of the Shattered Axe Tribe

Orsik Vondal
2013-09-07, 09:29 PM

Silas exits the room with Kharell in tow. Knowing this was a pillar, and one created by a wizard, Silas makes his way toward what should be the central stairway that will allow him to traverse his way to the top of the tower.

Along the way he tries to talk to Kharell, but the aasimar remains silent. Just as well. No sense in letting on to the truth. Silas talks when they are alone in the halls.

"My god is the god of Knowledge. The Great Eye. As such, I relish the chance to gain knowledge. I also love a good secret. Secrets are like hidden knowledge. You have to delve deep to get at it. And the Prince of Shadows loves his secrets. That's why I've taken an interest in him and his schemes. It's probably the reason I was assigned with you to investigate this disturbance."

Silas periodically checks the windows and doors of the exterior walls for any signs of forced entry or manipulation consistent with what he has seen in other cases involving the Prince making notes of even the smallest detail.

"Come on. There's got to be something substantial. You aren't be that good. You make mistakes. I just have to find them."

DSCrankshaw
2013-09-07, 09:55 PM
DM post

On the way to the tower, Silas and Kharell pass an archery range, where two guards are practicing their shooting. They're nothing spectacular, proficient but not exceptional with their bows. Beside them is Roland. He holds a smaller bow, with less range and devastating power than the guards' longbows, but he's clearly a much better shot.

Kharell and Silas climb the stairs to the Pillar, but the moment Silas tries to enter, unseen runes carved into the sides of the door flare to life, and he is pushed back out, stumbling down the steps. Moments later, there's the sound of running footsteps, and Varis appears at the door. "Oh, I'm sorry!" he says. "Do you need something? I should have warned you that the tower's warded to prevent entry. Only the wizards who run this place are allowed inside. I could see if I can get Ameliefor to open the wards for you, but she's in the middle of a ritual to find those goblins you talked about."

Sorry, you caught me off-guard, heading into the tower so soon. The places is warded out the wazoo. You can't enter unless they let you in, and Varis doesn't have the authority to do that on his own.

Orsik Vondal
2013-09-07, 10:17 PM
After Varis gives him the run down of the tower, Silas returns to the archery range and watches the marksman a bit longer until he is noticed.

"You are very skilled with that bow. I am Silas Fletcher and this is my partner. We are here looking into why the pillar has been magically upset recently. You are the boy we say guarding the entrance to Botlstrike Pillar, are you not? What is your name?"

Loki_42
2013-09-08, 04:39 PM
Derrek, Half-Orc Fighter

Derrek will go find somewhere he can clean off his equipment from the remains of the battle. Afterwards, he goes to the archery range and joins the guards and Roland in their practice.

DSCrankshaw
2013-09-08, 08:08 PM
DM post

The boy's last arrow scores a perfect bullseye. He's grinning when he turns to face you. "Oh, hey now," he says. "I'm Roland, if you want to know. Who might you lot be?"

The two soldiers look to be tired of archery, so they clear a space for some melee practice, each wielding a shield and a heavy wooden sword as they hack at each other.

-------------

Derrek finds what appears to be a small workshop behind the barracks, apparently for just the sort of cleaning and repairs he's planning. There's a grindstone, assorted whetstones, oil, polish, cloths and brushes, and even a small anvil and forge.

Razorstorm
2013-09-09, 01:02 AM
Simon follows Silas and Kharell to investigate, but turns his cat, Caius, to go scout around on his own. Before he sets him down on the ground, Simon whispers in the feline's ear. "Go wander, get a sense of the nooks and crannies of this place. Most importantly, Listen. Listen to what these men are saying. Find out what is bothering them. Find out what scares them. And find yourself a big fat rat while you're at it."

The big grey cat takes off to explore and Listen.

Simon follows the others, and quietly observes. He watches how people act, and makes note of the defenses, the patterns.

DSCrankshaw
2013-09-09, 07:40 PM
DM post

Simon's familiar wanders off, to do whatever cats do when there are no humans watching, while Simon follows Silas and Kharell to the practice yard. Just in the short distance, it occurs to him that there don't seem to be any guards about. Just the three men in the yard. If there are more, he hasn't seen them yet.

Razorstorm
2013-09-11, 10:24 AM
Simon finds the well, and brings some water over. During a break in the matches, Simon offers everyone a drink. "So where's the rest of your crew? Out on a mission of some sort? You guys holding down the fort?"

Orsik Vondal
2013-09-11, 01:46 PM

Silas smiles as he watches Roland's skill with the bow. Skill was knowledge. And knowledge was power. It was the easiest analogy for Silas to understand when the pilgrims of The Great Eye began to teach him years ago. This boy was more powerful in some respects than the other two soldiers in the range.

"Roland, we have been charged with uncovering the reason for the magical disturbance here at Boltstrike. I wonder if you have heard or seen anything out of the ordinary for this place? Any strange or unknown people around? I mean, besides us, of course."

Silas listens to Roland then takes a stance at the end of the archery range. He raises his hand palm out and a flash of light streaks toward a target at the other end. "And then maybe you could teach me how to shoot. You are remarkable with that bow. When did you become so skilled?"

Silas is just shooting a Javelin of Faith at the target.
[roll0]

DSCrankshaw
2013-09-11, 08:08 PM
DM post

Roland watches the streak of light strike the target. It's not a bullseye, but it's not a bad shot. "I don't know if I can teach you anything. I don't think magic is much like shooting a bow." To demonstrate, he fires another arrow, this time hitting exactly in the center of the scorch mark. "I don't know much about magic. Just what the wizards tell me, and by now I know wizards aren't exactly free with information."

He shakes his head. "There was a commotion around here a couple of weeks ago. I think that was when they first found the hammer. It was sitting right in the middle of that fire"--he gestures at the silver flame atop Boltstrike Pillar--"from what I hear, but no one seemed to know how it got there. No one's supposed to be able to get through the wards, not without at least alerting the wizards." He shrugs. "And that's really all I know about it."

He looks at Kharell and Silas. "Do you two have names? I don't know what I should be calling you."

Meanwhile, Simon offers the two duelists a drink after they're done with their match.

The bigger one grins at you, showing the gaps in his teeth. "Well, Bernard and Rain were out on patrol when you arrived. And Riko and Tessel went out right after you came, to see if they could find any sign of those goblins you told us about."

Razorstorm
2013-09-11, 11:24 PM
Simon lifts his eyebrows in surprise, "Wow, only 7 of you to protect this place? In a frontier outpost of this importance? Has the Pillar ever actually been attacked? Or are they that confident in the magical protections?"

Hzurr
2013-09-12, 04:27 AM

Kharell pauses, trying to remember the cadence of speech used back at the Cathedral. "I am Kharell, pleasure to meet you." He extends a hand.

Looking up towards the silver flame, he frowns. "It was in the middle of the flames, you said? Maybe we should take a look." He glances at Silas.

DSCrankshaw
2013-09-12, 07:29 AM
DM post

"Six, not seven," the smaller of the two guards mutters. Small is a relative term here, as he looks like he outweighs Simon by at least half.

"Zvegdar!" the bigger one says. "Leave the boy alone."

"He's not one of us, Tait," Zvegdar insists. "You know he's not."

Tait shakes his head. "What Zvegdar's trying to say is that Roland isn't officially a guard, though I wager he'll fight if it comes to that. But it won't. The magical defenses have held against a lot worse than a mob of goblins. There was a small army of orcs last year. They never made it to the gates. And that gang of bandits from two years ago--that was before you came, Zvegdar--Amelia did most of the work. All we had to do was shoot some arrows at anyone still standing after she was done, and they ran after that. Haven't seen them since."

---

Roland follows your gaze. "Good luck getting the wizards to let you inside to take a look. I've only Bern inside the Pillar once."

Orsik Vondal
2013-09-12, 07:35 AM

Silas pauses when he hears the subtle shift in Kharell's voice. He knew that tone. Working in such proximity to the Cathedral and sometimes with Cathedral clerics had accustomed him to their way of speaking. When Kharell glances at him, he returns the look with a little extra gleam in his eye. There is more to you than meets the eye. "Silas Fletcher. And unless you have found a way to circumvent the wards on the tower, Kharell, I believe we are grounded for now." He furrows his brow. "You wouldn't happen to know a way to the flame besides the tower, would you, Roland?"

DSCrankshaw
2013-09-12, 07:37 AM
DM Post

"Not unless you can fly," Roland says.

Orsik Vondal
2013-09-12, 09:02 AM

Silas looks around as if he were wanting not to be heard. "As a matter of fact, my friend, Ido have some tricks up my sleeve." He gives a wry smile and then laughs out loud. "If only I knew how to do that! The Priestess would have a cow! Anyway, I guess we're gonna have to wait until Ameliefor is done with her ritual."

Loki_42
2013-09-13, 10:57 PM
Derrek, Half-Orc Fighter

After taking care of his equipment and getting a bit of practice in, Derrek joins the others.

Speaking to Roland, he says, "You're a pretty good shot. I admire your technique. And if those magical barriers ever do break, we can help you. Those goblins before were tough, but we handled them pretty easily."

DSCrankshaw
2013-09-14, 04:31 PM
DM post

"Thanks," Roland says. "It'd be good to have the help, if it comes to that. I doubt it will, though."

DSCrankshaw
2013-09-15, 07:44 PM
DM post

While you're all talking to the guards, Ameliefor emerges from the tower, Varis in tow. She looks over the four of you, and then says, "I have good news and bad new.

"The bad news is that for some reason our detection spells are not working. We're still not sure why. Somehow, the runestones must have failed--or been tampered with. Our patrols check the runestones for obvious signs of defacement, so if they have been damaged, it must have been by someone who knew what they were doing."

She gives everyone a moment to let that sink in. "The good news is that I've found our goblins. They're at the Greenstand." She smiles at that, and a sense of palpable relief runs through the Pillar's residents.

Razorstorm
2013-09-15, 11:32 PM
Noting the reactions of those around him, Simon looks confused. "Why exactly is that the good news?"

DSCrankshaw
2013-09-16, 07:38 AM
DM post

Varis steps forward to explain. "The Greenstand is an overgrown ruin about a mile from here," he says. "It's the perfect staging ground for an attack on the Pillar. Unfortunately for the goblins, we know that as well as any of the forces that have ever staged an attack. We've rigged it with all manner of magical traps. All it takes is someone with a bit of magical training to activate a runestone near the Greenstand, and every goblin hiding there will be dead."

Ameliefor picks up Varis's explanation. "Unfortunately, Varis and I are needed here. With the detection runestones having failed, we need to go over all the Pillar's defensive wards, and make sure the place can withstand an attack case the goblins leave the Greenstand before we can neutralize them. We were hoping that you could handle springing the trap for us."

Orsik Vondal
2013-09-16, 07:04 PM

"But if your runestones have been deactivated, there is a high probability that the trap runestone at Greenstand has also been deactivated. If we are to spring it and/or kill the goblins waiting at Greenstand, we will need to leave now. Goblins don't like to wait around for very long when it comes to killing things."

Silas Looks out a window to gauge the time. "Hmmm...It must be around late afternoon now. If you can give us a map of the Greenstand area, we can plan an attack in case the runestone is inoperable. The goblins will most likely attack at night to take advantage of the darkness. So we should leave as soon as possible.

"We probably will want to come at the ruins from a nondescript approach just in case the goblins leave before we get there. That way we can sneak in behind them and pick them off from the back. Maybe even sandwich them in between us and Boltstrike.

DSCrankshaw
2013-09-16, 08:15 PM
DM post

Ameliefor nods. "Yes, that is a risk. But as you say, even if it does fail, you'll still be in position to help out. It shouldn't be too hard to find your way."

"I can guide them there," Roland says. "I know the way pretty well."

"Yes, take Roland," Ameliefor says. "He has a sharp eye, and is as good a shot with a bow as anyone here. Here, I'll sketch out Greenstand."

She draws her sword, and begins to sketch out Greenstand with the tip of her sword. As she does, the squiggles she draws with her blade take on depth and color, and what was initially a round drawing in the dirt is now a three-dimensional map in full color.

"Greenstand sits on top of a low hill. There's a broken tower in the center, and the foundation of a wall along the outside. There's an opening where a gate once stood here, to the north, and the walls been reduced to rubble in the south as well. There are a few other ruined buildings here and here, but only this one, just east of the tower, has four walls. The runestone is here, at the base of the hill, in this gully, where you should be hidden from anyone occupying the hill. You can get there through a culvert, opening here. Roland can lead you to the entrance."

She looks around at you. "Thanks for volunteering. I don't expect you'll run into much trouble, but we should be able to loan you some equipment in case you do."

Orsik Vondal
2013-09-16, 08:33 PM

Silas raises a finger. "A couple wands of fireball would be nice." When his request goes unanswered, he continues, "What kind of equipment do you think would help?"

DSCrankshaw
2013-09-16, 08:40 PM
DM post

Ameliefor snorts. "I don't think we have any wands of fireball. I can provide some potions of healing, and I think we have a suit of armor that will fit him." She points at Derrek. "And maybe . . . that sword you carry, Sir Derrek. Has it woken up yet?"

Loki_42
2013-09-16, 09:14 PM
Derrek, Half-Orc Fighter

For the beginning of the conversation, Derrek stands back, listening in, and being generally impressed with the depth of the cleric's tactical knowledge. Ameliofor's question shocks him into alertness.

"Woken? N...no, it hasn't. Do you have some way to unlock its power?" Derrek's hand again goes unconsciously to the sword, and he begins to feel a kind of hunger, gnawing away at him, waiting for Ameliofor's answer.

DSCrankshaw
2013-09-16, 10:03 PM
DM post

"I can't wake it up right away, " Ameliefor says. "But I can start the process. Once I do, it will begin to wake. It might take a day, or a week, or an hour. A lot will depend on you, and whether you're ready. But with your permission, I can set the process in motion immediately."

Razorstorm
2013-09-16, 11:22 PM
Simon nods thoughtfully through the explanation of the plan, and smiles softly at the 3D map. "This plan makes sense. If you could walk me through activating the traps. If you have anything that can help us approach stealthily, that may be valuable."

Hzurr
2013-09-18, 06:22 AM

Kharell stays silent as the map is sketched out, but his eyes have taken a slight shine at the mention of killing all the goblins in one go. But remembering what happened to the last goblins he killed, he frowns slightly.

"Regardless of whether or not we're successful, is it possible to send a request for re-enforcements? Based off of what we saw earlier, the lich-king has taken some interest in these goblins. Killing them may not make a difference to whether or not they attack the tower. An army of undead goblins may be worse than an army of living goblins..."

DSCrankshaw
2013-09-18, 10:13 PM
DM post

"Once the traps go off, I doubt there'll be enough left for corporeal undead." Varis smirks. "Still, we'll attempt to reach some of our contacts in the Empire. I don't think reinforcements will get here soon enough to make a difference, though."

Loki_42
2013-09-19, 08:32 PM
Derrek, Half-Orc Fighter

Derrek nods at Ameliofor, and offers her the sword. "If the Lich King makes his presence known, we'll need all the help we can get. you have my permission to do whatever you can to 'awaken' this sword."

Derrek then turns toward the rest of the group. "Even if this trap does stop the corpses for rising, we have a tough fight ahead of us if we run into any before we can activate the trap. We fought good out there earlier, and I think we can handle this, we'll just have to be prepared."

DSCrankshaw
2013-09-19, 09:31 PM
DM post

While Ameliefor takes the sword and finds someplace where she can sit and meditate over it, Varis returns to the tower. Well before Ameliefor finishes, he returns carrying a heavy suit of chain armor and a satchel of four potions. "There should be enough potions for each of you," he says. "One's a bit stronger than the others, so you should figure out who needs it."

The suit of armor he hands to Derrek. "As Ameliefor says, this should fit you. I think you'll find it pretty helpful."

Maybe twenty minutes later, Ameliefor looks up from the sword. "It's done," she says. "I still don't know when it will awaken, but hopefully it will be when you most need it."

"All right, then," Roland says. He's changed into leather armor and is now wearing a rapier. "Are we all geared up and ready to go?"

OOC: The reason I'm being careful about handing out magic items is that there's a 1 item/level limit before the items start inflicting you with uncontrollable quirks, and most of you have a magic item already.

But the armor is heavy armor, chain, with the Warding enchantment. We'll see what the sword is like when it wakes up.

Orsik Vondal
2013-09-22, 06:43 PM

"Yeah. We're ready. Lead the way, Roland. You set the pace." He hands out the potions to Roland and the others giving the most potent one to Derrek. "Use them if I am not nearby or conscious when you are in need. Otherwise, I will be there to mend you should the need arise."

Hzurr
2013-09-24, 05:39 AM

Kharell pauses before they head out, before reaching back and pulling out the amulet. He'd rather the rest of them not know about the necklace (and it's obvious source), but Kharell suspected that every edge possible would be required to activate the trap.

DSCrankshaw
2013-09-24, 10:36 PM
DM post

Roland leads the party on a circuitous path, taking them northeast for a ways, until they reach the entrance to the culvert, the remains of a long disused aqueduct. It looks like a tunnel just below the level of the ground, and following the general downward slope of the land toward the ocean, but the overhead arch has begun to collapse, and there are gaps in the ceiling and rubble littering the floor.

It's slow going, and it's starting to get dark as the party nears Greenstand, occasionally glimpsed through gaps in the ceiling. Suddenly there is a loud boom, and a flash of white light at the Greenstand, followed by more flashes, and rumbling like thunder. The ground trembles, and dust falls from the aqueduct's ceiling.

Razorstorm
2013-09-24, 11:58 PM
Simon looks at Roland with alarm. "Um... what was that?"

DSCrankshaw
2013-09-25, 07:20 AM
DM post

Roland's eyes are wide as he looks at Simon. "I-I don't know," he says. "Could it be the traps going off?" More rumbling follows his question.

Hzurr
2013-09-25, 07:28 AM

At Roland's question, Kharell steps forward and places a hand on Roland's shoulder. "Sorry, I'm not certain I heard you correctly." Kharell says softly, through a forced smile of clenched teeth. "It sounded to me like you said the traps, which would kill everything around here including us, are going off. I'm certain I didn't hear that correctly, could you say it one more time?" Kharell's grip on Roland's shoulder tightens slightly.

DSCrankshaw
2013-09-25, 07:37 AM
DM post

"Hey now!" Roland says. "Let go!" He tries unsuccessfully to pry Kharell's hand off his shoulder. "The traps are nothing to worry about. We're way out of range." The ground rumbles again, and several loose bricks fall from the ceiling. "I hope," he mutters.

Razorstorm
2013-09-25, 10:30 AM
"Dammit," Simon curses under his breath. "Okay, men, let's hurry, but when we are ready to exit the tunnels, keep your heads down, and be careful." He takes the lead forward, his wand drawn and ready for action.

DSCrankshaw
2013-09-25, 07:32 PM
DM post

The party moves quickly now, scrambling over the fallen stones (and avoiding the falling ones), until they come to the exit of the culvert, right at the base of the hill, as they'd been told. The runestone is still there, a pillar about waist high, runes spiraling around its base, and a green, hexagonal stone with a single rune at the top.

Atop the hill, behind the ruined wall, all is quiet. Here and there smoke rises from behind the wall, but you can't see much from here.

OOC: Make a wisdom check with your best "noticing things" background to find out what you can tell from here. An intelligence check with a "knowledge of magic" background might tell you something interesting, too.

DSCrankshaw
2013-09-26, 08:16 PM
DM post

Everyone looks around, trying to determine what happened. Ultimately, you're going to have to get closer to see, but Simon's sharp eyes do spot a couple of things of note. First, there are claw marks near the runestone. They're not human or goblin, but something decidedly less human than either. And nearby, not far from the culvert, is a much larger claw mark, very similar to the smaller ones near the runestone, but as long as a man is tall.

From here, Simon can also sense the residue of magic, as if dozens of spells had just gone off.

Razorstorm
2013-09-26, 11:46 PM
Simon gently touches the claw marks. He looks at the others soberly. "Something has already been here. Something big. We need to figure out what's going on, quickly. Something has gone very, very wrong."

Hzurr
2013-09-27, 05:07 AM

"Hmm...and odds are whatever it is will not be friendly to us." The barbarian steps over to take a look at the claw marks, then glances back at Silas. "On the off chance that this is a blue dragon, you may want to stay in the back. Just a random thought."

Straightening, he looks at the others. "Do we have anyway to communicate with the wizards at the tower, and let them know that there's some monster out here destroying the runestones?"

Razorstorm
2013-09-27, 11:12 AM
"Caius can deliver a message for us." Simon says kneeling down to his familiar around his feet. He pulls out a piece of paper and scribbles a quick note:

Reached the runestone, but it appears something big & nasty has tried to destroy it. We are investigating, but be on alert!
-Simon

He rolls up the small note and ties it to Caius' collar, who looks at him intently, with clear understanding. "Now listen, friend. I need you make your way back to the tower as quickly as you can. Get this note to anyone you can find. Be careful. Don't be seen. I'll meet up with you later." He give the cat a quick pet, and then Caius is off into the darkness.

DSCrankshaw
2013-10-01, 05:54 PM
As Caius darts off into urge gloom, the party climbs out of the depression where they find themselves, and heads toward the closest opening in the wall. Along the way, you notice that some of the tallest trees are shredded. Just outside the opening in the wall, you find the bodies of two hobgoblins, who have been killed by crude spears. Just inside the wall are the remains of dozens of goblins and hobgoblins, their bodies blackened by fire or dissolved by acid, or torn apart by who knows what.

Razorstorm
2013-10-02, 12:36 AM
Simon stealthily moves out into the scene, taking it in.

"Oh dear gods. What happened? There's a lot more than traps going off here."

Hzurr
2013-10-04, 08:11 AM

"Hmm...whatever did this, it's obviously no friend to the goblins. Perhaps they brought or summoned some beast and were unable to control it? Given the strangeness of what's happened around the tower, it's also possible that a powerful creature made it's home here, and was disturbed by the goblins. Regardless, we need to find out what this thing is and try to stop it." Kharell pauses. "Though if we want to wait until after it finishes off the goblins, I could be convinced."

Orsik Vondal
2013-10-09, 08:31 PM

"I knew there was something I liked about you Kharell. And perhaps after it is done with the goblins we can finish it off with little effort. Sometimes a trick can turn on the trickster."

Silas steps over the dead goblins and begins to follow the trail of carnage at a leisurely pace.

DSCrankshaw
2013-10-09, 10:21 PM
DM post

As Silas follows the bodies, he doesn't see any living goblins. Soon he arrives at where the gate once stood, and he can see inside. There are dead goblins and hobgoblins everywhere. Their bodies are burned, melted, and torn to pieces--though here and there, a group of goblins doesn't have any visible damage that Silas can see from there.

Razorstorm
2013-10-12, 12:05 AM
Simon follows Silas carefully, and he curiously moves to inspect a group of dead goblins that have no visible wounds. Again, he pulls out his lens and starts studying the bodies.

If needed - Wis (2) + Umbral Investigator (5) + Level (1)
[roll0]

DSCrankshaw
2013-10-12, 09:23 PM
DM post

Gazing at a group of undamaged goblins, Simon spots a dagger on one of them glowing with magic. But as he leans in for a closer look, something nearby clicks, and a small ball of flame leaps up from a hole in the floor and explodes, catching both Simon and Silas in the blast. (Simon takes 7 damage)

Attack on Simon
[roll0]
[roll1]

Attack on Silas
[roll2]
[roll3]

Razorstorm
2013-10-13, 01:03 AM
Simon rolls to the side, thrown by the blast. He hits the ground hard, quickly springs to his feet, breathless and coughing, and more than a little singed. His wand is drawn expecting an enemy, but then realizing that he accidentally set of a trap, "Damn... that hurt. We'll have to be more careful. Watch where you go, everyone."

HP 17 / 24 AC 13 PD 13 MD 15

Hzurr
2013-10-14, 08:30 AM

Kharell winces at the fire roars out. "Hmm...appears that not all the traps were set off as we hoped. Does anyone have any experience with these types of situations?"

Orsik Vondal
2013-10-14, 04:49 PM

As Silas dodges out of the way of the fireball something snaps together in his mind. When Simon gets up from the ground, he holds out his hands. "Everybody stop! I just realized what probably killed these goblins. Noxious fumes. That is why they are unscarred. They must have set off a trap that released some sort of deadly gas into this area or the beast they let loose can emit such a gas. On one of my earlier missions we encountered a trap that was similar. I suggest we take precautions against such an attack."

He removes a piece of cloth from his pack and ties it around his face covering his nose and mouth. "And as Simon said, watch where you step."
Wis+Level+Investigator
[roll0]

DSCrankshaw
2013-10-14, 08:14 PM
DM post

Stepping carefully, Silas manages to avoid a trap that would have activated a magical defense that would rip him apart. He too notices the magic dagger that drew Simon's attention, but he also notices something else. On some of the bodies that appeared uninjured, there are in fact superficial burns, so light that he did not notice them before. He knows from his studies that this is sometimes caused by lightning.

Orsik Vondal
2013-10-14, 10:35 PM

"Check that. Electrocution. See these slight burns here and here. Oh, and don't pass that dagger up, Simon. It might come in handy should an enemy get close." He continues to pick his way through the bodies and traps following the trail of death towards its inevitable source. "When the fighting starts I have a trick up my sleeve that might help us. It all depends on Fate, really. But I've been known to persuade it from time to time."

Razorstorm
2013-10-14, 10:50 PM
Still shaking the fog from his head, Simon leans over and plucks the dagger from the body. He inspects it with his lens, trying to determine any auras or properties. This type of study was covered in his first year at the Acadamae.

Acadamae Wizard (Int) [roll0]

DSCrankshaw
2013-10-15, 07:54 PM
DM post

Examining the dagger, Simon realizes that it could be handy, though it may be difficult for him to use at the moment.

Simon identifies the dagger as a +1 dagger of spell recovery. The bonus also applies to his spell recharge rolls.

Quirk: When you get the chance, you want to dip your fingers into blood and fingerpaint with it.

Remember, you can only equip a number of magic items equal to your level. Any more and the quirks start to overwhelm you. You can carry the dagger, but not use it until you hit second level.

Razorstorm
2013-10-15, 11:29 PM
Simon muses about the dagger for a few moments, then tucks it away. "Lightning huh?" He resumes his look around. "Let's keep looking around. Be careful, and be quiet, there must be more around here somewhere."

He pushes in deeper, stepping over the bodies, very cautiously.

DSCrankshaw
2013-10-17, 09:09 PM
DM post

Simon continues to search, mostly by the light of Boltstrike Pillar, whose silver flame is brighter than the moon. The light briefly goes out and reappears, before flashing even brighter. Something's going on at the Pillar.

Razorstorm
2013-10-17, 10:49 PM
Simon looks at his companions, quizzically. "Did you see that?" He looks for a vantage point where he can see the pillar better.

Hzurr
2013-10-18, 10:48 AM

As Simon moves into a better vantage point, Kharell keeps an eye on the immediate area, particularly the bodies (since some seem to have a nasty habit of not staying dead)

Orsik Vondal
2013-10-18, 11:05 AM

"Well, I think we've wasted enough time out here! We should probably head back and slay whatever menace is at Boltstrike."

Silas picks his way back out of the trap infested area, and begins to head toward Boltstirke. He looks for a safe route so as not to be seen until he is as close as possible to the Pillar.

"If we keep to the shadows and cover, they'll never know what hit 'em until it's too late..."

Int+level+Battle Tactician
[roll0]

DSCrankshaw
2013-10-19, 10:35 PM
DM post

Even at this distance, it's obvious what's circling the tower: a dragon. It passes once more in front of the silver flame before landing on the tower itself, and creatures start scrambling from its back. Then it begins blasting the silver flame with its breath, and the flame blazes with light and starts to throw off sparks, before it bursts apart and goes out.

Razorstorm
2013-10-20, 10:37 PM
Simon comes jumping down from his vantage with panic on his face, "A dragon! The pillar is being attacked by a dragon! We've got to get back and help!"

He takes one final look around for any last thing worth his attention, then heads back briskly. "Let's go!"

DSCrankshaw
2013-10-21, 08:57 PM
DM Post

"All right, then," Roland says. "We better hurry."

With all pretext of stealth abandoned, Roland leads them on a straight path to the tower, moving at a jog. It's dangerous to move at this speed in the dark, but miraculously no one is injured. About halfway there, there's more bright flashes at the top of the tower.

Looking up, you see a figure on top of the tower. It is too dark to tell who it is, but light flashes off of gleaming armor as the figure casts powerful spells at the dragon, who responds with its own power. One of the attacks gets through, and the dragon's wing is sheared off, and it plunges from to the ground below, where it is hidden from sight. The victorious figure doesn't last much longer, as it is overwhelmed from behind. You can't see who strikes down the wizard, but you can tell that they hold a large warhammer in their hand.

Hzurr
2013-10-22, 04:41 AM

Kharell says a bad word.

"Well, so much for the mages protecting us. This is going to get rough. Let's head towards where that Dragon fell. If we can get it while it's wounded and can't fly, we may have a chance."

Razorstorm
2013-10-22, 04:29 PM
"Let's go! They need us!" Simon barks. The group hot-foots it forward, into the fray!

DSCrankshaw
2013-10-22, 07:48 PM
DM post

Soon, you crest a hill and have a good view of Boltstrike Pillar and the surrounding wall. Inside the wall, the dragon is rampaging. It has crushed the barracks, and its breath has set a number of the outbuildings alight.

On top of the pillar, you can see inhuman figures bringing prisoners to the top. Even as you watch, there's a brief, pitiful scream as the first of the prisoners is cut down.

Roland stares at the destruction, going quite pale. "I . . ." He licks his lips. "I think I can distract the dragon, give you a chance to get into the tower and stop what's happening there." He looks at the four of you. "I should be able to buy you enough time to get to the tower."

OOC: If you haven't checked the OOC thread, don't forget that everyone gets an incremental advance. This should significantly improve your chances of survival.

Razorstorm
2013-10-25, 11:58 AM
Simon looks grimly at his companions, then back to Roland, and nods. "We'll be fast." Then, with a nervous swallow, he straightens and salutes Roland respectfully. "Please be careful. Just buy us some time. We'll come back to finish the dragon with you."

With that, the team moves to the tower.

Orsik Vondal
2013-10-25, 12:37 PM

Silas puts his hand on Roland's shoulder. A faint light flows from his chest, down his arm and illuminates Roland's entire self. "May The Great Eye guide you." With that Silas turns and follows Simon into the tower.

Silas casts Bless on Roland. Roland receives a +2 to attacks until the end of his encounter.

DSCrankshaw
2013-10-26, 12:26 PM
DM post

Roland gives a nod. "Thanks," he says to Silas, as he leads you down to the gate and motions for you to hide behind the wall.

"Give me until a count of thirty to distract the dragon," he says. "Then run to the tower like your life depends on it." He takes a deep breath, and slips through the gate.

1 ... 2 ... 3 ... 4 ... 5 ... 6 ...

The dragon's rampage continues. There's a boom and a flash of light, and then all is silent for the next few moments.

7 ... 8 ... 9 ... 10 ... 11 ... 12 ...

There's a sudden roar of pain, and lightning bursts into the sky.

13 ... 14 ... 15 ...

There's a sound of crumbling bricks as one of the buildings falls.

16 ... 17 ... 18 ...

"Over here, ugly!" Roland's voice rises above the chaos. Heavy footfalls can be felt trembling through the ground.

19 ... 20 ... 21 ...

Timbers snap with a resounding crack as another building collapses, this time farther away from the gate.

22 ... 23 ... 24 ...

The dragon roars in pain and anger.

25 ... 26 ... 27 ... 28 ... 29 ... 30 ...

The entire wall shudders as something crashes into it and some of the timbers far to your left fall to the ground. Looking that way, you can see that the dragon has left the grounds of the Pillar, and the path to the tower is now clear.

OOC: The hard part about writing this was remembering how much could happen in a six second round in this game. It still feels a little unrealistic--that probably should have taken at least a couple of minutes.

Orsik Vondal
2013-10-27, 01:13 PM

Silas watches and listens to the battle between Roland and the dragon. Part admiration part fear fills his chest as the count winds down.

"...Two... One... Zero. Alright. It looks like the way is clear. Let's move and get to the top of the tower as fast as possible. Let me take the first shot, so I can light up the targets for you."

Silas hefts his mace and swiftly strides toward the tower.

DSCrankshaw
2013-10-28, 06:49 PM
DM post

The party rushes across the courtyard, and into the Pillar. This time, there's no magical force to stop you, which you take as a bad sign. The short hallway has some doors branching off of it, and at the end there's a hollow tower with a spiral stairway built into the wall. A lizardman is there, driving his spear into a prone Tait's throat, the large guard you met on the practice yard. Tait apparently gave a good accounting of himself, as there are three lizardman corpses nearby. The living lizardman pulls his spear out of Tait's body and brandishes it at you.

Farther up the stairs, there's the sound of more combat. You can't see it from where you are.

------------

OOC:

Nearby
Lizardman
Tait - Dead?

Far away (up the stairs)
More fighting

Roll initiative. If you roll a [roll0] or better, you can take a turn before the lizardman does.

Orsik Vondal
2013-10-28, 08:27 PM

Silas stares down the lizard man with hate and rage in his eyes. His teeth are clenched and bared. "Your time on this earth is finished. Soon your bones will lie still upon the ground."

Razorstorm
2013-10-28, 11:35 PM
Simon Initiative
[roll0] +3

Razorstorm
2013-10-30, 10:56 PM
With quick instincts from his combat training, Simon lashes out with an arc of lightning at the Lizardman, his face set with grim determination.

Arc Lightning (Ranged, at will) - refluffed Ray of Frost
Target: One nearby enemy
Attack: [roll0] vs PD
Hit: [roll1] lightning damage - When attack roll is natural even hit, if target is staggered after taking damage, they are Dazed until EONT.
Miss: 1

DSCrankshaw
2013-11-02, 08:30 AM
DM post

Simon's bolt of lightning misses the lizardman, who readies his spear and charges at the wizard.

He hurls his spear at Simon, who is unable to completely dodge the attack.

Up above, a voice cries out, and a body falls to the floor with a thump. It's human, a guard apparently, but not one of the ones you recognize. Two lizardmen peer over the edge of the stairs, and hiss at each other when they spot you.
---------------
OOC: Sorry for the delay. I've been in con-mode the last few days.

Please remember to put your character's name, hp, AC, and physical and mental defenses at the top of your posts.

Escalation die: 1 for Simon, none for everyone else

Far away
At least two lizardmen

Nearby
One lizardman
Kharell
Derrek
Silas
Simon

[roll0]
Damage: 5

Razorstorm
2013-11-03, 05:32 PM
Round: 2 Initiative:23 Escalation: 1

Simon Baltar
HP 19 / 24 AC 13 PD 13 MD 15

The spear encounters a briefly glowing plane of force, but it shatters the hasty barrier and still manages to injur Simon.

Simon curses, and lets loose another shock of lightning at the Lizardman, then ducks into one of the doorways for cover.

Hit: [roll1] lightning damage - When attack roll is natural even hit, if target is staggered after taking damage, they are Dazed until EONT.

EDIT: Assuming that's a hit, if that 11 dmg staggers the Lizardman, he's Dazed.

Orsik Vondal
2013-11-04, 05:13 PM
HP 27 AC 18 PD 14 MD 15

Silas watches as Tait falls to the ground. He knew he needed to help him before he smashed the vile lizardman in the face. Otherwise, Tait would not last very long. He moves closer to Tait and away from Simon to split the lizard's attention. He stretches out his hand and sends a prayer and a wave of energy toward the fallen guard.

"If he dies," Silas says pointing at Tait, "you will die. If he lives, he will kill you, and you will die. This is not a very good place to be right now." Silas raises his mace and brings it to bear in a flourish. A beam of light blazes forth and seeks out the lizardman. When it strikes the creature in the chest, Silas yells and gives the intruder the thumbs down symbol.

Move action: Move to a more advantageous position.
Quick action: Cure Wounds on Tait. He can heal using a free recovery.
[roll0] vs. PD of nearby lizardman.
Hit: [roll1] holy damage.
Everybody gets a +1 to hit him UEONT!!

Hzurr
2013-11-06, 10:16 AM
Kharell - Aasimar Barbaian
HP: 30 AC:16+2 PD:15+2 MD:11+2

Kharell doesn't slow as he enters the room, and lets his momentum take him into the lizardman, axe leading the way even as he begins to glow with a soft light. The sudden light makes the lizardman cover its eyes, lowering its defenses just enough for Kharell's axe to find its mark.

Using Halo power to gain +2 to defenses until I'm hit
Attacking [roll0] (including +1 from Silas)
Damage: [roll1]+7 (crit, see OOC roll) = 14 damage total.

Loki_42
2013-11-06, 07:57 PM
[roll0]

Derrek, Half-Orc Fighter
HP: 23/36; AC: 17; PD: 12; MD: 11

Derrek brings himself into a combat stance, aware that he's now in his specialty. This is why he was signed on for this group. Grinning at Kharell's blow, Derrek readies his own sword and charges up the stairs, swinging at one of the lizardmen.

Moving to a lizardman.
Flexible Melee Attack: [roll1]
Damage: [rollv]1d10+4[rollv]

DSCrankshaw
2013-11-07, 01:16 PM
DM post

Simon, Silas, and Kharell rush the lizardman. Lightning and light burn him just before Kharell's axe takes off his head, leaving the lizardman dead.

In response to Silas's spell, Tait groans and stands up, shaking his head. "Where'd that traitor get to?" he mutters as he finds his sword.

Derrek, meanwhile, rushes up the stairs, and engages one of the lizardmen, but doesn't have a chance to strike him.

Derrek's lizardman thrusts his spear at him, scoring a hit. (7 damage)

The other lizardman peers over the side of the stairs, but instead turns back to the conflict at hand and, speaking a few arcane words, sends a spray of liquid from its claw towards Derrek. Still reeling from the other lizardman's spear thrust, Derrek takes a face-full of acid (critical, 6 acid damage, 3 ongoing damage).

Far above, there's more hissing.

---------------
OOC:

Just a reminder: it takes a move action to go from far away to nearby, and a move action to engage an enemy. Derrek didn't have enough actions to attack as well. Also, Derrek, are you including the magic armor in your defenses?

Nearby
Lizardman Savage - Dead (34 damage)
Tait - (+9 hp)
Kharell
Silas
Simon

Far away
Derrek - engaged with Lizardman Savage (13 damage, 3 ongoing damage)
Lizardman Savage - engaged with Derrek
Lizardman Magician

Farther away
More lizardmen?

Lizardman savage attack
[roll0]
Damage 7

If 16+, bite attack
[roll1]
Damage 5

Lizardman magician, acid spray attack
[roll2]
Damage 3
If even hit or miss, ongoing 3 damage

Razorstorm
2013-11-08, 12:04 AM
Round: 3 Initiative:23 Escalation: 2

Simon Baltar

Using the distraction provided by Derrek's assault, Simon rushes out from the doorway, getting within range to unleash a dizzying barrage of sound and light at the Lizardmen.

Move to be nearby the Lizardmen and Derrek

Color Spray (CQ, at will since escalation die is even)
Target: [roll0] nearby enemies in a group
Attack: [roll1] vs MD
Hit: [roll2] psychic damage, and if target has 10 hp or fewer after taking damage, it is weakened until EONT

Hzurr
2013-11-08, 05:32 AM
HP: 30 AC:16+2 PD:15+2 MD:11+2

Hearing the sounds of battle, Kharrel charges up the stairs, and quickly moves alongside Derrek to face down the Savage.

Move to Nearby, Move to engage.

Orsik Vondal
2013-11-08, 07:36 AM
HP: 27 AC: 18 PD: 14 MD: 15

As the first of many lizardman corpses crumples to the ground Silas smirks. "Told you so." Moving to stand near Tait and get a good view of the combatants on the stairs, Silas asks, "Traitor!? Who has betrayed us?" He stretches his hand toward the lizard wizard sending a bolt of light its way.

Move to nearby.
Javelin of Faith at the wizard. [roll0] vs. PD
Everybody gets a +1 to hit him UEONT!!

Loki_42
2013-11-08, 05:41 PM
Derrek, Half-Orc Fighter
HP: 10/36; AC: 17; PD: 12; MD: 11

Derrek grimaces from the wounds he recieves, and puts pressure on them as he reaches into his pack to pull out his healing potion, which he drinks quickly.

He then turns to the lizard mage, saying "Let's see this sword take down another mage!"

He charges towards the wizard.

Engage with the lizard wizard.
Drink that healing potion: [roll0] plus [roll1]

Razorstorm
2013-11-10, 02:13 AM
Sorry, extra attack roll!
Attack: [roll0] vs MD

Razorstorm
2013-11-10, 02:14 AM
Well that second attack appears to be a crit!
Extra Crit Damage: [roll0]

DSCrankshaw
2013-11-10, 11:13 AM
DM post

While Kharell and Derrek move into position, Simon and Silas attack the lizardmen. Simon's attack is particularly effective against the magician (16 damage) and Silas's follow-up leaves him in sorry shape (7 damage). The savage shakes off the overwhelming colors without suffering too greatly (8 damage).

Derrek leaves himself open to attack by turning his back on his first enemy [ OOC: opportunity attack for moving to engage lizardman magician without disengaging from lizardman savage], who is quick to strike with his club (7 damage). The half-orc drinks a quick healing potion (+9 hp) and engages the lizardman magician, shaking off the last of the acid although the burning lingers (3 damage).

Tait, who now has a good grip on his sword, says, "Zvegdar. I saw him defacing the wards on the tower. I tried to stop him, but he suckerpunched me and ran off. I was going after him when the place started swarming with lizardmen, and I've been fighting with them ever since." He heads up the stairs to engage the savage fighting Kharell.

The lizardman savage attacks Kharell (7 damage), and the magician abandons spellcasting now that he's in close proximity, this time aiming his stone knife at Derrek. It's useless, however, against the superior warrior.

Farther up the stairs, another lizardman stares down at the fighting. He lobs a glob of acid down at Silas, striking the cleric despite his distance from the worst of the fighting.
--------------

Escalation Die: 3 for Simon, 2 for everyone else

Each zone indicates a locality. Everyone in a zone is nearby to everyone else in that zone. It takes a move action to move from zone 1 to zone 2 or to move from zone 2 to zone 3. It takes two move actions to move from zone 1 to zone 3, although spells and ranged weapons that can attack far away targets can reach that distance

Zone 1
Silas - 3 acid damage, 3 ongoing acid damage

Zone 2
Lizardman savage - engaged with Kharell and Tait - 8 damage
Lizardman magician - engaged with Derrek - 23 damage (staggered)
Derrek - engaged with lizardman savage - 10 damage, +9 healing
Kharell - engaged with lizardman savage - 7 damage
Simon
Tait - engaged with lizardman savage

Zone 3
Lizardman shaman

Lizardman savage
Opportunity attack on Derrek
[roll0]
Damage 7

If 16+, bite:
[roll1]
Damage 5

Attack on Kharell
[roll2]
Damage 7

If 16+, bite:
[roll3]
Damage 5

Lizardman magician
Stone knife on Derrek
[roll4] +4 (forgot he wasn't weakened)
Damage 4

Lizardman shaman
Acid attack on Silas
[roll5]
Damage 3 acid
Natural even: 3 ongoing acid

Razorstorm
2013-11-10, 07:33 PM
Round: 4 Initiative:23 Escalation: 3

Simon Baltar

Simon glares at the shaman lobbing acid at his companions with impunity. He blasts another barrage of sound and light at the nearby lizardmen to cover his movement up the stairs.

Color Spray (CQ, 1/battle since Escalation is not even)
Target: [roll0] nearby enemies in a group
Attack1: [roll1] vs MD
Attack2: [roll2] vs MD (assuming I roll 2 or higher on the 1d4 targets roll)
Hit: [roll3] psychic damage, and if target has 10 hp or fewer after taking damage, it is weakened until EONT

Move from Zone 2 up the stairs to Zone 3

As he crests the top of the stairs, he faces down the opposing spellcaster. "You're on the wrong side of this battle. Surrender now, or I will kill you."The air around him hums with menacing energy.

Orsik Vondal
2013-11-13, 09:23 PM
HP: 24/27 AC: 18 PD: 14 MD:15

Silas looks down at his armor and the acid holes that are forming. His expression turns sour as he looks up at the scaly spellcaster. "Bad choice."

The lizardman is instantaneously lit up from underneath.

Move action: Move to Zone 2
Standard action: Javelin of Faith against lizard wizard
[roll0] vs. PD

Hzurr
2013-11-14, 12:08 PM
HP: 23 AC:16 PD:15 MD:11 Recov: 8

Kharell glances down at where the lizardman's stone knife pierced his side. "Sorry, you'll need to do better than that, I'm afraid. Not certain you'll get the chance..."

With a roar, Kharell steels himself and brings down his own axe.

Using Unstoppable and attacking the lizardman savage
[roll0] (+4+2ED) (I'll assume that hits)
If hit, spend recovery & heal [roll2]

EOT: HP: 30 AC:16 PD:15 MD:11 Recov: 8 7

DSCrankshaw
2013-11-19, 09:31 PM
DM post

Derrek and the lizardman shaman are too busy fighting each other to notice anyone else.

Simon misses hitting the magician as he passes, but his disorienting magic staggers the savage (13 damage, staggered).

Kharell follows up with his own attack, and draws blood (6 damage) while healing himself (+10 hp).

Silas, meanwhile, aims his magic at the shaman lobbing acid, and hits (6 damage).

The shaman responds to Simon's demands by attacking him. The acid hits, but doesn't take hold (3 damage).

The lizardman fighting Kharell and Tait lashes out, but with its attention divided between two opponents, it fails to connected with either.

OOC:

Escalation Die: 4 for Simon, 3 for everyone else

Since I haven't seen a post from Loki, I'm going to assume Derrek and the lizardman he's fighting are occupied.

Orsik, don't forget the ongoing damage. You forgot to include the damage and roll a save in your post--please do so now.

Zone 2
Silas - 3 ongoing acid damage
Lizardman savage - engaged with Kharell and Tait, staggered - 27 damage
Lizardman magician - engaged with Derrek - 23 damage (staggered)
Derrek - engaged with lizardman magician -
Kharell - engaged with lizardman savage - +10 hp healing
Tait - engaged with lizardman savage

Zone 3
Lizardman shaman -- 6 damage
Simon -- 3 damage

Acid attack v Simon
[roll0]
3 damage
Natural even: 3 ongoing damage

Dagger attack v Kharell
[roll1]
7 damage
Natural 16+: Bite attack v Tait
[roll2]
5 damage

Orsik Vondal
2013-11-20, 09:50 AM
HP: 18/27 (including ongoing damage that will be taken at the end of my turn)
AC: 18 PD: 14 MD: 15

Now Silas was mad. He looked down at his clerical mantle riddled with acid burns that kept on growing. He prided himself on taking good care of his equipment. And this magical hack had just ruined a perfectly good cloak! "By the Great Eye, I will have your head for a helmet, reptile! You upset the wrong cleric! Rrrrrrraaaaagh!!"

Silas fires off a blast of light before charging toward the magician, mace held high. "I may be a cleric, but I was trained to destroy evil with my hands as well as my faith!"

Standard action: Javelin of Faith against magician
[roll0] vs. PD

Move action: engage with lizard magician

Razorstorm
2013-11-25, 01:51 AM
Round: 5 Initiative:23 Escalation: 4

Simon Baltar
HP 16 / 24 AC 13 PD 13 MD 15

Simon circles away from the stairs, and blasts the Shaman full in the face with a ray of flame.

Scorching Ray (Ranged, Daily) - Refluffed Acid Arrow [not cast]
Target: One nearby or far-away creature
Hit: [roll1] fire damage, and 5 ongoing fire damage
Miss: 5 ongoing fire, and you regain the spell during your next quick rest.

Hzurr
2013-11-25, 06:53 AM
HP: 30 AC:16 PD:15 MD:11 Recov:7

Kharell spares a quick moment to glance at his allies, only to see orbs of acid, blasts of flame, and radiant bolts of light arching back and forth. Hefting his axe, he nods. "Right, mages and clerics. Better than a fireworks show..."

Shifting his attention back to the lizardman in front of him, he mentally pictures a nice, quiet tree, and begins felling it.

Attack:[roll0]

DSCrankshaw
2013-11-27, 08:59 AM
DM post

Silas's blast of light staggers the shaman, but Simon's blast of flame incinerates it, leaving nothing but ash.

Kharell's axe takes the head off his opponent.

With a yell, Derrek charges the last lizardman, and the two go over the edge of the stairs and land at the bottom with a sickening crunch of bone. Derrek has landed on top, but they both lie unmoving.

At the top of the stairs, there is screaming.

OOC:

Escalation die: 5 for Simon, 4 for everyone else.

You're still in combat, and can reach the top of the stairs in a round. If you do you'll keep your escalation die.

Depending on whether Loki shows up and posts, Derrek is either dead or stunned. Think of him as Schrödinger's half-orc: it's probably not a good idea to check on him, as at that point I'll have to declare him dead or alive. But for now, we won't wait on him.

Razorstorm
2013-11-28, 12:38 AM
"Hurry, let's go! We'll have to come back for him later!" Simon leads the run up the stairs to the next level.

Orsik Vondal
2013-12-01, 04:24 PM
HP: 18/27 AC: 18 PD: 14 MD: 15

Silas gives Simon a sideways glance and quirks his eyebrows in a disapproving expression. "Did you not hear me when I said I was going to use his head as a helmet? How can I use his head as a helmet if there is no head left!? I swear! Wizards and their fire...! ...Can't take 'em anywhere without...no regard for..." Silas throws his hands in the air and hurries after the trigger-happy, arcane fireslinger while muttering incoherently to himself. Before he leaves the stairwell, though, he turns around and fires another bolt of light at the pile of ash that was meant to be his new headgear. The javelin of light hits the ash and scatters it wide down the stairs. "Lizard wizard, my arse!"

roll to save versus ongoing acid [roll0]

Ongoing acid ends

DSCrankshaw
2013-12-01, 07:34 PM
DM post

As the party reaches the top of the tower, they witness a horrible sight. Four dead bodies, all in robes, are piled near the place where the silver flame once stood. Each of their heads appear mangled in some way. Three other mages, bound and blindfolded, lie a short distance away. An eighth mage kneels with her head upon the flame's pedestal. Standing above her, one foot pressing down on the small of her back, a warhammer raised above her head, is Zvegdar.

He shouts something in Draconic, which only Simon understands.

"By this blood and this hammer, I dedicate the power of this nexus to the Three."

Then he brings the hammer down on her head. There is a sickening crunch as blood and brain spatter the pedestal, and he kicks the body aside. He turns toward the other victims, but spots you first. "So, the fools have returned," he says. "Some of you, at least. Come fight me, if you dare."

He raises the warhammer, and you can sense the bloody magic in it.

-------------

OOC:
Escalation die: 5 for everyone.

Kharell
Simon
Silas

Zvegdar

Razorstorm
2013-12-01, 09:05 PM
Round: 6 Escalation: 5

Simon Baltar

Simon pulls up short, his eyes widening in horror at the scene before him. It's not the first dark ritual sacrifice he's stumbled upon, but it is the most brutal. Realizing that his barbarian companion was surely going toe-to-toe with that bloody hammer, he cloaked the warrior in a miasma of bending and refracting light, making it very difficult to see exactly where he was.

Casting Blur on Kharell. For the rest of the fight all attacks against him have a 20% miss chance.

Triggers my Abjuration benefit. I get +4 AC until EoNT.

Orsik Vondal
2013-12-06, 04:55 PM
HP: 18/27 AC: 19* PD: 14 MD: 15

"Well, that was unnecessary." Silas' face turns murderous. "You think you're something with that hammer, don't you!? Two can play that game..."

Silas takes his mace in both hands and grips it as if it were going to be ripped from his grasp. His face contorts in concentration for a moment, then his mace begins to glow brightly.

"Oh, Great Eye! Give me the strength to end this foe! Grant me your knowledge, your power!" With a thunderclap and a flash of light the mace that Silas holds is altered. No longer is he holding a simple mace, but a huge warhammer that resembles something a giant might wield. He shifts his weight and holds the hammer in one hand, which doesn't look possible, and gives it a spin. The light from Silas' warhammer settles over him and his allies, coalescing into a thin layer of light surrounding each of them.

"Bring it on."

Standard action: Hammer of Faith on himself
Silas' melee attacks do d12 damage until the end of the encounter.

*Quick action: Shield of Faith
Cast for broad effect-Silas, Simon and Kharrel get a +1 bonus to AC until the end of the encounter.

Hzurr
2013-12-13, 06:35 AM
HP: 30 AC:16+1 PD:15 MD:11 Recov:7

Seeing the massacre before him, Kharell pauses as he thinks back to the similar bloodshed that sent him on this quest in the first place. His blood starts to boil, and with a Shattered Axe battle-cry, he throws himself at Zvegdar, the protective spells of his allies barely registering as he charges forward in a frenzy.

Since the Escalation Die is > 5, going into a rage for free

Rage attack
Atk #1[roll0]
Atk @2[roll1]

Damage: [roll2] + (if both die are > 11) [roll3]

If I miss, I'll use Building Frenzy and deal [roll4] extra damage on all future attacks

DSCrankshaw
2013-12-14, 01:47 PM
DM post

Silas and Simon cast protective spells on themselves and their allies, as Kharell roars to attack. Tait follows him a moment later, wielding his sword two-handed. Kharell's axe hammers past Zvegdar's defenses (9 damage), and Tait's sword follows a moment later, only to miss. "Traitor!" Tait shouts.

Zvegdar turns from Kharell, who's well protected by his magic, and instead turns his hammer on Tait. "I never liked you much anyway, Tait," he says. His hammer goes wide, but a moment later his fist slips by Tait's defenses and punches him squarely on the nose. Tait falls back a step, his eyes glazed over (Tait is dazed until the end of Zvegdar's next turn).

----------------

OOC:

Encounter die: 6 for everyone

Nearby
Zvegdar -Engaged with Kharell and Tait - 9 damage
Kharell - Engaged with Zvegdar
Tait - Engaged with Zvegar - dazed
Simon
Silas

Zvegdar attacks Tait
[roll0]
Damage: 6

On miss, dirty trick on Tait:
[roll1]
On hit, target is dazed until end of next turn

Tait attacks Zvegdar using flexible attack
[roll2]
[roll3]

Razorstorm
2013-12-15, 04:19 PM
Round 7, Escalation 6

Simon Baltar
HP 16 / 24 AC 13+4 (17 this round only) PD 13 MD 15

Simon circles for an opening. As Tait falls back dazed, Simon sees his chance. Lighting arcs across the intervening space between Zvegdar and Simon.

Hzurr
2013-12-16, 05:45 AM

Seeing Tate stagger back next to him Kharell redoubles his efforts. Traitorous scum, why don't you try your metal against a real warrior?" the barbarian growls as he steps forward, axe leading the way.

Rage attack
Atk #1 [roll0]
Atk #2 [roll1]

If I miss, I'll use Building Frenzy and deal (1d4)[2] extra damage on all future attacks

DSCrankshaw
2013-12-16, 09:14 AM
DM post

Simon's flames stagger the traitor, giving Kharrel an opening. His axe cleaves open Zvegdar's chest, and blood spews forth. "No!" Zvegdar mutters, blood frothing at his lips. "It can't end this way, it won't!"

He lays one hand on the pedestal, and calls out to the Three in Draconic. Before you can react, silver flames rises from the pedestal and surround him, and he begins to change. Scales cover his skin and the wound closes, and his face begins to elongate into a saurian snout. He hunches over as he grows, his musculature becoming grotesque and inhuman, and two wings emerge from his back. Standing before you is a creature out of a nightmare, a monstrous amalgam of human and dragon. One claw plunges into Tait's chest and pulls out his heart. Crushing it in his hand, the dragon thing drops it. "Now you die!" it snarls.

---------

OOC:

Escalation die: 6

All combatants are nearby
Dragon-thing - engaged with Kharell
Kharell - engaged with dragon thing
Tait - dead
Simon
Silas

Zvegdar attacks Tait
[roll0] + 8 = 25
On hit, 11 damage

Razorstorm
2013-12-16, 10:01 PM
Round 8, Escalation 6

Simon Baltar

As Zvegdar transforms, Simon's eyes grow wide with shock, and then harden with fiery determination. Zvegdar clearly just crossed some internal line and just became much more than an enemy, he was now an abomination, an afront to Simon's very being. "NOOOOO!" he yells as Tait's heart is ripped from his chest. He steps forward blasting the draconic thing with bolt after bolt of lighting.

Hzurr
2013-12-18, 07:17 AM

Kharell pauses as the dragon-creature looming over him. Kharell pauses, and swallows.

"Ah...well...ok then."

Pausing to look back at his allies, Kharell gives a quick [I]"ell, we're in trouble"/I] look before launching himself at the creature with a blood-cry

Rage attack
Atk #1 [roll0]
Atk #2 [roll1]

If I miss, I'll use Building Frenzy and deal[roll4] extra damage on all future attacks

Orsik Vondal
2013-12-20, 09:28 AM
HP: 18/27 AC: 19* PD: 14 MD: 15

As Zvegdar mutates Silas' eyebrows try to merge with his hairline. "I can't say I've ever seen that happen before..."

Once his eyebrows regain their courage, he levels his oversized, ethereal hammer at the draco-Zvegdar saying, "You inconsiderate beast! I just brought him back from the brink of death! No matter. You won't be too much trouble when you're dead." A blast of light issues from the glowing weapon lighting up the softer underbelly of the half-dragon-half-man-thing. Seeing a point of weakness Silas shouts, "Look there! Kharell has dislodged one of it's scales under the left wing! Aim for that spot!"

Then Silas does what some clerics are afraid to do. He closes with the ungodly creature, ready to lay waste with his holy hammer!

[roll0] vs. draco-Zveg's PD

Move action: Engage draco-Zveg

REMEMBER: the +1 to attack for this round and the +1 to AC for the encounter

DSCrankshaw
2013-12-20, 09:26 PM
DM post

The thing that was Zvegdar seems unfazed by the attacks as it goes after Kharell, it's huge claw swiping at him. It hits dead center of the blurred blob it sees, leaving a painful bruise on the barbarian's chest (11 damage).

----------------

OOC:

Dragon-thing - engaged with Kharell and Silas - 22 damage total
Kharell - engaged with dragon-thing - 11 damage this round
Simon
Silas - engaged with dragon-thing

Dragon-thing attacks Kharell
[roll0] + 8 = 25
Damage: 11

Orsik Vondal
2013-12-23, 05:34 PM
HP:18/27 AC:19* PD:14 MD:15

Silas drops the head of his hammer toward the ground and points an aiming finger at draco-Zvegdar's weak spot. Without a word he grips the hammer with both hands and swings it in an upward arc adding a thrust of his legs that lifts him off the ground. The brilliant hammer flashes and temporarily puts the dragon-thing off-balance.

As his feet touch back down, Silas prepares for a counterattack. Assuming this dragon-thing is no longer fully in command of his mental faculties, Silas attempts to disengage from melee combat. If he succeeded, he could launch another spell at it. If not, it might open up an avenue for Kharell or Simon to land a blow.

A razor sharp claw narrowly misses Silas as he jumps back from the monster. He takes a moment to survey the tower looking for any advantage he can find.

Standard action: Melee attack vs. draco-Zveg

Hit: [roll1] damage

Move action: Disengage check [roll]1d20

Using my quick action to look for anything that might help us.

Remember your +1 to hit draco-Zveg!

Razorstorm
2013-12-26, 03:09 PM
Round 8, Escalation 6

Simon Baltar

As Silas shifts away from the draconic beast, Simon takes the chance to unleash another blast of lightning at the thing.

Razorstorm
2014-01-13, 11:28 PM
Round 8 Escalation 6

HP: 19 AC:16+1 PD:15 MD:11 Recov:7

Kharell roars in pain and strikes out with his battle axe, staying close in to the draconic monstrosity.

Attack 1 [roll0]
Attack 2 [roll1]
Damage [roll2]

Razorstorm
2014-01-13, 11:30 PM
That's an auto-crit!
Moar damage! [roll0] +4 = 13 total

DSCrankshaw
2014-01-18, 12:31 PM
DM post

Silas's hammer goes wide, but Simon's blast of lightning is on target, rocking the dragon-thing back a step (8 damage).

Looking around, Silas notices that there are still a number of tied up mages nearby. They aren't combat wizards, but they might be able to do something.

The dragon-thing that was Zvegdar roars as Kharell strikes at it, but manages to roll aside at the last moment and avoid the damage (0 damage, special ability to ignore 1 attack/battle). Then he lashes out at the barbarian. Its claws leave a long, bloody scratch across Kharell's chest, and the barbarian barely remains standing.

----------------

OOC:

Dragon-thing - engaged with Kharell and Silas - 30 damage total
Kharell - engaged with dragon-thing - 11 damage this round
Simon

Dragon thing attack: [roll0] + 8 = 23
Damage: 11

Miss chance from blur 20% < [roll1]

Orsik Vondal
2014-01-19, 07:29 AM
HP:18/27 AC:19* PD:14 MD:15

Silas directs his attention to Zvegdar and raises a fist to the heavens. Words meant nothing now, only power could sway this beast. As he concentrates a pale transparent ghost rises from the Tait's body just behind the dragon-man. It unsheathes its sword and rushes the unsuspecting monster.

Tait must have been in an extreme rage when Zvegdar killed him, because Tait's ghost skewered him so hard the ephemeral sword protruded clear through the front of his chest. "Thank you, Silas, for that small revenge." Then Tait's specter vanishes, the light from his existence settling on Kharell for a moment.

Silas watches as his new barbarian friend is wounded. The gash was deep, but as Kharell staggers, Silas reaches out a hand toward the aasimar, and the flesh begins to knit itself back together.

Then Silas steels himself and rushes to reengage their foe.

Standard action: Spirits of the Righteous vs. Zveg
[roll0] vs. Zveg's MD
Hit: [roll1] holy damage and Kharell gets a +4 bonus to AC UEONT
Miss: 1 holy damage and Kharell gets a +2 AC bonus UEONT
Quick action: Kharell heals using a recovery
Move action: reengage Zveg in melee

Razorstorm
2014-01-19, 11:20 PM
Round 9 Escalation 6

HP: 13 AC:16+1 PD:15 MD:11 Recov:6

Blood flies everywhere around the raging Aasimar, his own and that of the beast in front of him. He continues screaming in pain and anger as he brings his axe down again and again and again.

Attack 1 [roll0]
Attack 2 [roll1]
dmg [roll2]
Extra dmg in case of crit [roll3]
I think that's a crit! 14 dmg

Razorstorm
2014-01-19, 11:28 PM
Round 9, Escalation 6

Simon Baltar

Simon throws his arm up in front of his face to shield himself from the spray of blood coming from the melee nearby. He quickly lashes out with another blast of lighting.

Orsik Vondal
2014-01-20, 07:44 PM
Derrek - Half-Orc Fighter
HP: 25/36 AC: 19* PD: 12 MD: 11 Recoveries 5/9

Derrek's head swam as he raised himself from the floor. "What the hell happened!?" he said as he looked around at the corpses of the lizardmen. He had no time to contemplate that as he heard a gruesome bellow from the roof of the tower.

Derrek hefts his sword and begins to climb the steps to the top three and four at a time. As he bursts onto the roof, he takes in the scene all at once. A huge monster that wasn't quite a dragon, but definitely not human. Tait dead on the ground, his heart ripped from his chest. Kharell covered in a haze, barely visible. Simon lobbing strike after strike. And Silas darting in and out of the thing's reach, wielding a massive glowing hammer!

As the monster slashes at Kharell, Derrek leaps into the fray bringing his sword to bear against the hideous creature. He hacks at Zvegdar in a calculated sweep designed to unbalance the thing, which it does. Any attack leveled his way would be clumsy.

Move action: close to melee range on Zveg
Standard action: Flexible attack (Defensive Fighting) against Zveg
[roll0] vs. AC
Forgot my damage roll...oops! In OOC. 14 damage

Derrek gets +2 AC UEONT. *Included above.

DSCrankshaw
2014-01-20, 11:17 PM
DM post

Silas calls on the spirit of Tait to assault the dragon thing, and it reels under the assault of the angry ghost (18 damage, staggered). He then sends some healing Kharell's way (5 hp healing) before reengaging.

Kharell continues to rage against the dragon, though his axe strikes only a glancing blow (5 hp--sorry, it's not a crit, since the natural rolls weren't high enough).

Then Simon sends his magic against the monster. The damage is significant, but worse, the monster is left blinded by the lightning (12 damage, dazed).

Schrodinger's half-orc reappears at the top of the stairs, charging Zvegdar. His sword cuts a deep furrow in his arm (14 damage).

The return of the half-orc has unnerved the thing that was once Zvegdar. Surrounded on all sides, it attempts to escape the attacking party and flee. You've never seen anything that big move so fast--it slips between Kharell's axe and Silas's hammer, ducks under Derrek's sword, and runs for the edge of the tower, where it spreads its wings and leaps. For a second, you think that its short existence will end with an ignomious plunge to its death, but its wings gather the rushing air, and with a powerful downward stroke, it leaps upward.

-------
OOC:

Far away
Dragon-thing - engaged with Kharell, Silas, and Derrek - 79 damage total

Nearby
Kharell - engaged with dragon-thing - 5 healing this round
Simon
Derrek - engaged with dragon-thing

If you have any ranged attacks that can hit far away, you can attempt to hit Zvegdar before he gets too far away.

Zvegdar disengage check
[roll0]

Razorstorm
2014-01-21, 01:16 AM
Simon runs to the edge of the battlements and tries to arc lighting once again, but produces little more than some static sparks. The distance is just too great for him to connect the polarities. He slumps against the wall, exhaling, "Damn."

Orsik Vondal
2014-01-21, 07:13 AM

Silas tears after Zvegdar, and skids to a stop as he nears the edge of the tower. He sends a bolt of light zinging through the air, but it fizzles out as the dragon-thing soars away.

Silas turns back to his companions. "Let's get to the bottom of this."

DSCrankshaw
2014-01-21, 07:46 PM
DM post

The thing that was Zvegdar vanishes from view. But before you can celebrate, there is a roar down below. The dragon is back, rampaging around the outside of the tower, and there's no sign of Roland.

For all that, you feel strangely refreshed, as if some the the energy released when you disrupted the ritual empowered you as well as Zvegdar. No one seems to be sprouting scales or wings, though.

Advance to level 2.

You gain HP equal to the difference between level 2 and level 1. In addtion, you take a quick rest, and can spend recoveries and regain any per-battle power, and roll to recharge any rechargeable powers.

Orsik Vondal
2014-01-28, 03:58 PM

Silas wheels and heads back to the stairs. As he passes the others he yells, "If that dragon brings down the tower, this mission was all for naught! We've got to get down there and stop it before it destroys us!"

He takes the steps two at a time on the way down a smile spreading across his face. "No time to waste, friends! I've always wanted a pet dragon!"

DSCrankshaw
2014-01-28, 08:19 PM
As you head down the stairs, the newly freed mages start to chant in unison. Those of you with some magical knowledge can puzzle out what they're doing:

Best magic background DC 20

The mages seem to be casting a spell to reinforce the tower and prevent it from collapsing.

As you run, you can hear the dragon thrashing about, lumbering into the wall, and the occasional thunderous blast of lightning.

As you emerge from the tower, you find a blue dragon right in front of you, its left eye smoking and the wing on that side missing, replaced by a long, blackened scar. It looks like Ameliefor did some real damage before she fell. It turns its eye toward you, and growls, "Miserable mammals! I'll devour you all!"

----------------

OOC:

Roll initiative. If you beat [roll0], post your action for this round.

Nearby
Crippled Blue Dragon
Kharell
Derrek
Simon
Silas

DSCrankshaw
2014-01-28, 08:33 PM
Before you can react, the dragon rears back and blasts you with lightning. Derrek and Silas are both caught in the blast, but Kharell takes the worst of it. Then the dragon starts hacking and coughing, flecks of blood falling from it's mouth.

Nearby
Crippled Blue Dragon - staggered
Kharell - 30 damage, staggered, dazed (save ends)
Derrek - 15 damage, dazed (save ends)
Simon
Silas - 15 damage, dazed (save ends)

Pay no attention to this roll
[roll0]

Orsik Vondal
2014-01-28, 10:39 PM
HP 21/36 AC: 19 PD: 15 MD: 16 Recoveries: 7/8

When Silas hears the chanting his mind flashes back to a book he had read on containment spells. The fact that all of the mages were chanting suggested that the energy required to maintain the spell was massive. "We may want to move our battle away from the tower. Those mages are trying to keep this place from falling down. Beating the dragon won't mean anything if we get crushed when the tower collapses."

As he steps out into the night air, Silas' eye widen. New suit of armor or mode of transportation? He barely has time to register the thought when everything goes white. Silas yells as the lightning rips through him. Searing pain grips him and his vision doubles. It was bad enough when there was only one dragon! "Surrender and you need not die, dragon!" When the dragon laughs at the comment, Silas speaks softly to himself. "Armor it is."

He raises his hand and looses a bolt of light at the dragon, or at least the spot where he thinks the dragon is. In the same moment he searches the field for Roland. "Roland! Roland! Are you here!?"

Staying out of the dragon's reach he scurries around to the dragon's rear flank. "Now how do I get on top of this thing? I'll have to be quick and not get hit I guess."

Standard: Javelin of Faith
[roll0] vs. PD
Miss: 2 holy damage
Everyone gets +1 to hit

Move: Circle around the dragon looking for a way to climb on top.

Invocation of Trickery
Enemies that move to engage me this battle miss on natural odd rolls