PDA

View Full Version : [WFRP] The Bloody Crown II

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7

TheSummoner
2014-02-17, 08:34 AM
Sieghard

"And for her? And for him?" he replied, gesturing to Elsa and Viggo in turn. "You heard your landlord, wouldn't be cheap even if you could afford it. And I don't know about you, but I don't like giving up my time for someone and getting nothing outta it. If Barbaro wants us to keep looking, we can handle that when we get to it."

RossN
2014-02-17, 08:43 AM
Adelbert Schreiber

"Well then you can work for him alone because I am not interested in doing so." Adelbert replied, expression turning dark. "Now as I've said I'll pay for the healer to check your injuries - yes the three of you - but that doesn't mean I'm going to risk my neck on another wild goose chase. Talk to Barbaro if you wish; if he promises a concrete reward then maybe I'm game. Otherwise he can find someone else."

The scribe painfully got to his feet. "Now I am off to see Al'Makir."

TheSummoner
2014-02-17, 02:07 PM
Sieghard

Sieghard shrugged. He had already intended to see Barbaro in the morning. As Adelbert left, he turned to the others.

"Well, I'm not about to just walk away from this. Not without atleast trying to get him to get us in to see the sawbones. What about the rest of you?"

His gaze seemed to linger on Viggo. With Adelbert out, he was the only other one who had actually spoken with Barbaro.

LCP
2014-02-17, 02:54 PM
"Wolf riders. A whole pack of 'em out hunting," Sieghard replied, trying to determine which table took the most interest. "Got a few fine pelts for the trouble, though."

He found a seat and called back to Marek. "Bring me an ale, killing greenskins is thirsty work."

Sieghard's story drew some attention, but not enough to pay for his drinks. It seemed stories of greenskins on the east road were common currency at the Chalice.

With all the talking he had to do, it was difficult for him to find time to ask his listeners what had happened while he'd been gone. Elsa was more successful - but apparently things had been fairly quiet. By Mirino's standards, anyway.

Adelbert

Leaving the Chalice, Adelbert made his way to the gates of the palisade. By now, the last light of the sun was just a red halo lining the western hills.

There were two unfamiliar Tileans on guard, and they stopped him at the gates.

<What's your business?> asked the larger of the two.

RossN
2014-02-17, 05:57 PM
Adelbert Schreiber

"<I wish to see Al'Makir.>" Adelbert replied in weary Tilean. Seemingly his fame had not spread in his absence.

"<I am Adelbert Schreiber the scribe.>"

LCP
2014-02-17, 06:15 PM
Adelbert

<What, the one living in the old sausage-eater's rag shop?> asked the second guard. <What business do you have with Al-Makir?>

<It's dark,> rumbled the first. <Don't you bookworms keep business hours like the rest?>

RossN
2014-02-17, 06:21 PM
Adelbert Schreiber

Adelbert ground his teeth in frustration and idly wondered if it was harder or easier to skin a Tilean or a Giant Wolf.

Alright he didn't really wonder that but he was displeased.

<"Fine... well in that case I suppose it can wait until morning. What about that surgeon of the Captain's Bianco? Is he up to seeing a patient?">

LCP
2014-02-17, 06:29 PM
Adelbert

<Patient?> scoffed the second guard. He squinted comically at Adelbert. <I don't know, Luca. Does he look like the captain's lady to you?>

<Could be,> said the first guard, joining in. <Maybe she's testing us.>

<That's a very convincing disguise, signora,> said the second guard, with a deep and mocking bow. <How did you do the missing tooth?>

RossN
2014-02-17, 06:43 PM
Adelbert Schreiber

Adelbert turned dark with fury. He spent another few moments memorising the faces of the guards for future revenge, then turned and left for Krucke's.

Once there he painfully settled into a chair and started writing. To anyone reading it would appear to simply be an academic historical treatise on Caerfort in Reikspiel and Classical. In actuallity the letter contained a coded message using the cipher he'd developed in Alvarran.

Secret Message:
Your Grace,

The Tilean is surrounded by mercenaries, far more than needed to keep his throne. War is coming and soon though I know not in which direction. Amongst his men are Tileans, Estalians, Arabyans and barbarian warrior women of the Southlands, along with a half dozen ogres. Pikes, crossbowmen and swords.

I run a business as a scribe in Mirino and the Tilean's tax collector has hired me to work his documents. I shall send more word soon.

Adelbert

In the morning he would see about a messenger to send it north, under the guise of sending it for publication in Nuln.

Northern Lad
2014-02-18, 06:32 AM
Viggo Hirtzel

The young entertainer had been uncharacteristically quiet all day. He'd trailed along behind the others, noticeably flinching when Sieghard had booted the goblin head down the road.

At the Chalice, as he'd bathed in the copper tub, he'd finally felt himself relaxing somewhat but it seemed to Viggo there was a tension between his shoulders that would not ease. Using a small piece of mirror, Viggo had taken a deep breath before using his razor to shave of the wispy moustache and beard he'd been trying to grow. It's odd he thought as he examined himself afterwards I think I look older without it.

Viggo had changed back into his colourful attire before joining the others in the common room. He still couldn't shake the odd detached feeling and he allowed Sieghard to murder their heroic tale with no complaint.

"Well, I'm not about to just walk away from this. Not without at least trying to get him to get us in to see the sawbones. What about the rest of you?"

Viggo nodded slowly in response. "Sure. When do you want to go see the old goat? Now?" His voice seemed distracted.

TheSummoner
2014-02-18, 09:16 AM
Sieghard

"Nah, it can wait til tomorrow. Gives us the night to think on what we're gonna tell him... Maybe tell him about the chapel and say we heard something about the crusaders and think we know where we might be able to find something for him."

Northern Lad
2014-02-18, 10:39 AM
Viggo Hirtzel

Viggo went to smooth his sparse goatee before remembering it had gone. "Sounds like a plan. We could tell him that old fellow... Orderic? Pointed us in the direction of those ruins, but that we got attacked by Wolf Riders before we could check it out? Can't hurt can it?"

Sieghard Only

During the evening Viggo will try to catch a moment alone with Sieghard.

"Errm Sieghard, I've been thinking?" Viggo is obviously nervous. "I was worse than useless out there, I came close to ending up inside that bloody wolf. Do you think, that maybe, if it's no trouble of course, that you could maybe show me how to... maybe use this properly?" He pats the short sword at his side as he rushes finishing his sentence.

TheSummoner
2014-02-18, 11:06 AM
Sieghard

"Might not want to mention those specific ruins... Might be Barbaro knows something about 'em already, but something like that would work well."

In reply to Viggo
"What is it now, Viggo?" Can't a man go empty his bladder without being followed? Surely this could wait until he was back at the table. It wasn't like he was going far, he still had to finish drinking Elsa under the table.

"Do you think, that maybe, if it's no trouble of course, that you could maybe show me how to... maybe use this properly?"

Sieghard thought about it for a moment.

"If you really want to learn, I can try. Just don't expect me to go easy on you if we do this. Anyone else you end up fighting isn't going to." After a pause, he added "Might need to remind me in the morning, though."

Northern Lad
2014-02-18, 11:10 AM
Viggo Hirtzel

As the night wore on and Sieghard got steadily drunker, Viggo couldn't help but notice the wolf fangs that Sieghard was so keen on showing everybody. Sliding over next to the inebriated mercenary, Viggo put on his winning grin. "Hey Sieghard, think you could spare one of those for me, my good chap? I nearly fell foul of a set of them after all and all I have to show for my troubles is a rag doll and a pouch of... well I don't know what they are if I'm honest."

OOC

Charm Test rolled OOC

TheSummoner
2014-02-18, 11:18 AM
Sieghard

Sieghard grinned back, too drunk to realize or care what Viggo was up to. He grabbed the biggest fang and placed it in Viggo's hand.

"It's yours."

-Sentinel-
2014-02-18, 11:44 AM
Elsabeth

Elsa joined Sieghard in drinking herself into a stupor, trying to match him drink for drink. As it turned out, a near-empty stomach was not the best condition to be chugging ale. Before long she leaned precariously on her bench against the mercenary, snoring on his shoulder.

Northern Lad
2014-02-18, 11:49 AM
Viggo Hirtzel

Viggo pocketed the fang with a quick thanks and a companionable pat on the shoulder for the grinning fighting man. He's not such a bad chap at heart! Viggo thought to himself.

Spirits raised by Sieghards generosity Viggo pulled out his flute and treated the Chalice to several cheery drinking songs and a couple of rousing marching tunes. His mind kept seeming to wander as he played. Visions of the wolf snarling and snapping at him kept pushing to the front of his mind, no matter how much he tried to tamp them down.

OOC

As always Viggo will put out his bowl in case anybody is feeling generous!

Musician Test:

FEL 38 - [roll0]
Re-roll - [roll1]

LCP
2014-02-18, 03:59 PM
Whether it was the racket from Elsa and Sieghard's impromptu drinking contest, or the recurring image of the wolf going for his jugular, Viggo couldn't really hold a tune with any conviction. Fortunately there weren't enough patrons in the Chalice to start a fight, but he certainly wasn't drawing any tips. By the time Sieghard and Elsa had knocked themselves out, he had long since given up.

OOC: For those drinking/staying at the Chalice, make sure you deduct the appropriate costs from your charsheet.

Festag 7th Jahrdrung

The next day dawned sorely for the wounded. For Sieghard and Elsa, the ache of their wounds was compounded by pounding hangovers.

RossN
2014-02-18, 05:13 PM
Adelbert Schreiber

Adelbert might have been spared a hangover but it didn't improve his mood any. Awakening early he went first to the market looking to see if he could hire a messenger - or discover a caravan going north anyway.

LCP only:
Adelbert is trying to find someone to take his historical notes/coded missive to Alvarann.

TheSummoner
2014-02-18, 09:36 PM
Sieghard

Sieghard wasn't sure which was worse, the pounding in his head, the pain in his sword arm from the wolves, or the soreness in his neck from the strange position he had slept in. For that matter, he wasn't sure how he and Elsa had ended up slumped in the corner together. He decided not to question that one.

He did his best to get to is feet without letting Elsa fall on her face. After stretching his limbs a bit, he shook her awake.

"I'm going to eat and then try to find the clown. After that I'm heading to the palace to see Barbaro. Not sure if you wanted to come or not, but I didn't want to leave you on your own, still sleeping."

-Sentinel-
2014-02-19, 12:16 AM
Elsabeth

"I'm going to eat and then try to find the clown. After that I'm heading to the palace to see Barbaro. Not sure if you wanted to come or not, but I didn't want to leave you on your own, still sleeping."
"Lllvvmmthfklnnn," Elsa mumbled in answer. Try as she might to go back to sleep, it was impossible now that her senses (including the pain) were flooding her again. Slowly she came to, shielding her eyes from the too-bright light. Between her scalp wound and her hangover, she felt as if a hundred nails had been hammered into her skull. She had no recollection of having been moved here right next to Sieghard: she last remembered sitting at the bar.

She painfully struggled to a sitting position. "So, uh," she said, her mouth dry. "Y'goin' somewhere? Might's'well come. This floor's not all that comfy." It might be a long while before she got to sleep in a bed. Strange, how many things she had once taken for granted were now in the past.

I keep forgetting the price for the common room.

TheSummoner
2014-02-19, 12:50 AM
Sieghard

"Heh. No, it really isn't."

He offered Elsa a hand getting to her feet. His left; As painful as his right arm was, he was half afraid a bit of pulling might tear it off.

"I think Viggo said something about sleeping at the Serpent. Could be wrong, the whole night is a bit of a blur... Either way, food first, then we can go looking for him."

Northern Lad
2014-02-19, 08:59 AM
Viggo Hirtzel

Viggo had not slept very well at all, sleeping at the Serpent was always difficult, Folk don't come here to sleep thought Viggo ruefully, but the wound on his scalp and the uneasy feeling he'd had all day conspired to keep him awake most of the night.

Instead of sleeping he'd spent most of the night boring a hole through the base of the Wolf's fang with his dagger. Once complete he cut a strip of leather from the pouch and threaded it through to make a crude necklace.

As the sun rose he set off in search of Filomena, quietly. He didn't want to disturb any of the girls who were normally asleep at this hour. He tried to resist the temptation to pick at his wound which itched incessantly.

OOC

LCP hope Viggo making a necklace / pendant out of the fang like this is ok? Since he's not doing anything too arty I'm hoping he doesn't need to make any tests?

-Sentinel-
2014-02-19, 09:52 AM
Elsabeth

Most days, Elsa would have been too proud to accept Sieghard's offered hand, but this morning she made an exception. "Food. I'll give it a try," she muttered, though the mere notion of food made her want to throw up. "We'll need one of the army healers too. Who knows, maybe the Tileans even have a secret hangover cure they've selfishly kept from the rest of the world."

On her way to the bar, she stumbled twice, still a bit tipsy from the night before. Just a year or two ago, she would have slept off this amount of alcohol without any problem. Time was already taking its toll.

LCP
2014-02-19, 04:30 PM
Adelbert

Mirino's market looked fairly empty - but that was fairly normal for a Festag morning. A leisurely perambulation of the square showed up no outbound caravans hiding in the shadows.

OOC: Make a Gossip test at +30 if you want to learn about the next caravan that might be able to deliver your message. A separate Gossip test at the same difficulty will tell you about the possibility of hiring messengers.

Viggo

It wasn't hard to find Filomena. She was out the front, counting up last night's takings.

"Serafina told me you were back," she said when Viggo approached her. She looked him up and down with a dispassionate glance, her eyes lingering just a moment on the scabbed wound in his scalp. "What happened?"

RossN
2014-02-19, 04:37 PM
Adelbert Schreiber

Nothing daunted adelbert started asking around. Even if there was little traffic there were bound to be a few people who knew what he was looking for.

OOC:

Fellowship: 36
Gossip test for caravans: [roll0]
Gossip test for messengers: [roll1]

LCP
2014-02-19, 05:07 PM
Adelbert

The native Mirinites were slow to answer Adelbert's questions, but only because they had to think about the answers. Adelbert learned that the next caravan to come through would be an iron shipment from Sermena in a couple of days - but that it would only make the trip from Sermena to Mirino and back. Past that, the surest bet was the monthly shipment out of Isolici, which went to Savonne by way of Manaan's Keep. The next one was two weeks away, but it was always heavily guarded, so the chances of a message being lost to greenskin raids on the east road were small.

Apart from that, it was difficult to know for sure when the next wandering trader would come through, but there was usually at least one a week. The only question would be where they were bound.

When it came to hiring a messenger, Adelbert got a more negative impression. It seemed like it would be easy enough to find a young person willing to take the risk - but north or east, the roads were dangerous for anyone travelling alone, and there was always the danger that the messenger might drop the message in the nearest marsh and run off with the money.

One market seller opined that you might get a message out by way of Caerfort, though - the villagers there came to trade fairly regularly with Mirino, and it was said they knew a way through the Bracken Mere to Ravenskird. Once you were on the banks of the Azril, it was a short hop to Savonne, and from Savonne one could get anywhere in the north.

RossN
2014-02-19, 05:49 PM
Adelbert Schreiber

Not the news he could have hoped for but not as bad as he might have feared. Adelbert decided he'd have to wait.

In the mean time he had to grab a bite to eat so returned to the Chalice to breakfast and then travel on to see the taxman. If the others were there he was happy for them to accompany him.

Northern Lad
2014-02-20, 08:48 AM
Viggo Hirtzel

He'd had all night to dwell on what he was about to attempt, After all she said she'd miss me! "I nearly died is what happened." Responded Viggo, and with that he launched into a retelling of their journey. . Anticipating Sieghards own version of events he inflated the number of attackers and used his best storytelling techniques to ramp up the danger and ferociousness of the beasts in the ears of his audience.

"But we survived Filomena, barely, and with Ranalds favour shining on us." He coughed lightly and adopted his most charming smile. "And do you know, as I fought off all those vicious beasts, all I could think was, 'I promised Filomena I'd bring her back something nice.'"

"I didn't want to die without seeing you again!" He waved his hands to forestall any potential interruption, "And so I fought on, with you as my inspiration." His hands continued to dance about, weaving backwards and forwards before the necklace appeared in the palm of his right hand as if by magic. "I know you probably see me as just a boy Filomena, but I am a man! And if you let me I'd like a chance to court you..." He wasn't completely naive, his Aunt Rosiera had told him that all ladies liked to be woo'd before committing to anything else.

He goes to put the necklace around her neck, "Sieghard and I took some of the fangs from the mightiest beast as a reminder of how lucky we are to still be alive. A lucky charm if you will. I want you to have mine. As your 'something nice' at least?"

Viggo tries to remain calm and keep his voice steady, no matter how many times he'd practiced this in his head, he'd not banked on her hard gaze. Pretty eye's though he thought if you can ignore the fact that they always seem to be weighing you up!

OOC

LCP - This spectacularly poor and perhaps misguided attempt at wooing Filomena is bought on by Viggo's brush with death. He has spent the last day and a bit thinking about how there are certain things he'd like to have done before dieing... He is against the idea of paying for it and has put more emphasis on Filomena's 'You'll be missed' than he should!

That is of course unless this works out for him in which case 'Good Lad Viggo, Well Played Son!'

Woo Tests:

Storyteller - FEL 38 +10 mimic - [roll0]

Sleight of Hand - AG 31 - [roll1]

Charm - FEL 38 - [roll2]
Re-roll - [roll3]

LCP
2014-02-20, 02:04 PM
Viggo

Filomena began listening to Viggo's story with a slightly impatient air, but Viggo had a flair for the dramatic touches. He hooked her interest fairly early on.

Her expression turned to one of curiosity when he mentioned bringing back a gift - then confusion, then alarm as he tried to put the trinket around her neck. Abruptly raising her arm as if to defend herself from a blow, she sent the wolf-tooth necklace skittering across the floorboards. She stared at it for a moment that seemed to last forever, her face darkening.

"Ragazzo stupido," she fumed. Her eyes flashed back to Viggo. "Who do you think I am? Some stupid peasant?" The accent on her Reikspiel had grown distinctly stronger, while the pale scar on her face stood out whiter. Flinching from what he anticipated to be a slap, Viggo ended up taking a back-handed blow full across the face.

OOC: Filomena makes an Unarmed attack. +30 for Surprise, -20 for a Called Shot to the head.
[roll0] - hit
[roll1] - soaked

Nice wooing rolls... but terrible choice!

Still glaring daggers at him, Filomena took a step back. "You work for me, you know your place." Turning, she called over her shoulder. "Pietro!"

LeSwordfish
2014-02-20, 02:09 PM
"I'll go with you to meet Barbaro." Ludo offered. "Perhaps he'll respond better to a fellow historian."

RossN
2014-02-20, 07:39 PM
Adelbert Schreiber

I'm a fellow historian. Adelbert thought to himself in annoyance but he simply nodded at the Halfling. "Well, good luck."

Having finished off his breakfest he bid the others goodday and left to see Al-Makir (hopefully).

Northern Lad
2014-02-21, 08:46 AM
Viggo Hirtzel

"Ouch!" Viggo exclaimed as he staggered backwards, "Good Gods Filomena I meant no offence." He raised his hands to ward off any further blows, "It is I who is the peasant not you!"

"If I could have brought you back a necklace of gold I would have! The gift was just a token of my admiration for you is all?" Viggo had not anticipated her being quite this angry at the suggestion "Are you offended that I'm attracted to you?!"

"No need to call Pietro!" he added a tinge of panic entering his voice.

OOC

Viggo's spectacularly grandiose ideas above his station and lack of judgment coming to the forefront again! Thought it might shake things up a bit for him though!

Full Action: Defensive Stance

LCP
2014-02-21, 11:13 AM
Viggo

"Offended?" said Filomena, her eyes flashing dangerously. "You try to treat me as your equal and you ask if I am offended." She paused, taking a deep breath. "I am your master. I am not your friend."

By now, Pietro had lumbered into view. Filomena turned to him, and began speaking in fast-paced Tilean. Viggo didn't understand a word, but he thought he heard his name, spoken in that Tilean way of hers - Vee-go.

Nodding to his mistress, Pietro came plodding forwards, his huge hands reaching out to pluck Viggo off the ground...

OOC: Pietro is going to try to eject Viggo from the premises. Do you want to resist (in which case, combat time) or go along with it?

Northern Lad
2014-02-21, 11:27 AM
Viggo Hirtzel

Viggo gulped audibly and opened his arms wide as Pietro approached, "No need for that Pietro, I'll leave quietly!"

He sulkily eyed Filomena and her massive henchman. "I think we're all cleared up now, just a little misunderstanding is all!" He motioned in the direction of the fang necklace "I'll just grab my necklace if that's ok?"

"Again Filomena, I never meant any disrespect, the exact opposite in fact! I am inexperienced in some ways is all." He paused and took another deep breath still hoping Pietro wouldn't feel the need to start throwing him about.

OOC

Viggo would go along on rather than try to put up a fight, but he's going to try talk his way into walking out rather then physically being thrown out. Charm rolled OOC

LCP
2014-02-21, 12:11 PM
Viggo

Filomena said nothing, but Viggo didn't like the merciless way she was staring at him. Pietro gave no indication of being about to stop.

OOC: Let him grab you or try to run away?

Northern Lad
2014-02-21, 02:00 PM
Viggo Hirtzel

Viggo attempted to make a bolt for the exit hoping to dodge the lumbering doorman, "Filomena call him off there's no need for this!" He called out as he tried to flee the bordello.

OOC

Viggo will make a dash for it! I'm out and about at the moment and attempting to do this on my mobile phone! But I don't want to be holding everybody from moving on, so forgive me if my posts are a little scrappy!

LCP
2014-02-21, 03:28 PM
Viggo

As Viggo made for the door, Pietro lunged. Slipping through the giant's meaty fingers, Viggo tumbled out into the open air.

All

Before they made their visit to the palace, Sieghard had a minstrel to fetch. Making their way to the Happy Serpent, they had just got there when the painted door flew open and Viggo came tumbling out at a flat run. His left cheek was bright red.

Unfolding himself slowly from the doorway, the massive figure of Pietro the bouncer glowered silently after him. For a moment, the big man glanced back over his shoulder, as if looking for instructions from inside. Then, slowly, he pointed a finger at Viggo and clenched his hand into a fist. Stooping to fit back inside, he closed the door with a hefty slam.

-Sentinel-
2014-02-21, 04:21 PM
Elsabeth Holt

Elsa's eyebrow rose quizzically. "Getting fired from a brothel, of all places? Now that's embarrassing," she commented to nobody in particular, but loud enough for Viggo to hear.

RossN
2014-02-21, 04:25 PM
Adelbert Schreiber

Adelbert shot Elsa a dirty look and moved offer to help Viggo to his feet. He gave the entertainer a sympathetic but wearied look: "What happened?"

TheSummoner
2014-02-22, 01:03 AM
Sieghard

Sieghard stared at the spectacle, lost for words.

"What happened?"

"That's a damn good question..." Sieghard muttered, more to himself than anyone in particular. He could only think of a few things that would get a man chased out of a brothel and-"What did you do!?"

Northern Lad
2014-02-22, 06:31 AM
Viggo Hirtzel

Ah well, Live a man or die a boy. The thought had been running through his mind like a mantra virtually all night. So much for getting my feet under the table!

"Getting fired from a brothel, of all places? Now that's embarrassing,"

Viggo was clearly startled at running into the others, he cast a nervous glance over his shoulder. Embarrassed, in front of you? You've seen me sobbing like a baby and throwing up my guts he thought with a sour twist to his mouth.

"What are you all doing he.." He looked from Sieghard to Adelbert as they questioned him. "Ahem.. A misunderstanding is all.." He waved his hands vaguely, "Ehmm a silly misunderstanding. Artistic differences and all that!" He motioned for the others to set off, obviously keen to be leaving. "You know how fiery these Tileans can be!"

Viggo eyed the others, trying to maintain an air of innocence, as he made to set off. "Where are we heading eh?"

RossN
2014-02-22, 06:35 AM
Adelbert Schreiber

Adelbert looked at the young entertainer for a moment as if about to question the 'artistic' differences' explanation. Instead he said: "I'm going to see Al-Makir. I believe the others are off to see Barbarro."

Northern Lad
2014-02-22, 06:57 AM
Viggo Hirtzel

"Ah, that's right, you wanted to go see the Old Goat." Viggo said to Sieghard. "We should get our story straight before getting there though. What are we wanting out of him?"

Itching at his wound carefully he looked at the others, Sieghard and Elsa in particular looked much the worse for wear. "We should get ourselves patched up too. You two look a step away from the grave!"

TheSummoner
2014-02-22, 10:08 AM
Sieghard

Sieghard remained silent for a moment. Artistic differences might get a man chased out of a tavern by a group of drunks, but it didn't really explain this. He decided not to bother asking, chances were he'd hear about it regardless.

"Better than you'll look if Pietro gets his hands on you."

Just because Viggo was likely right didn't mean he wanted to be reminded of it. In retrospect, spending the last night drinking probably hadn't been the brightest idea.

"That is the first thing though... If he can Bianco or one of his apprentices to see us, that'd be enough. If we can talk him into a better deal for looking for proof the crusaders were here, all the better... And if not, he can find someone else."

LeSwordfish
2014-02-22, 11:26 AM
"We had artistic differences with the wolves." Ludo said, with the air of someone reserving judgement. "Still, I'm not sure how long we can string Barbaro along. Might be best to get patched up and let it lie."

He considered his other suggestion, but dropped it. Later.

LCP
2014-02-22, 07:53 PM
Falling in as one group, the five of them approached the gates to the palisade. The guard had changed, and the two sentries on watch at the gate looked fresh and awake.

When Adelbert explained that he was there to see Al-Makir, they seemed to take it at face-value, collaring a boy from the barracks yard and sending him running to see if the Arabyan was expecting visitors. When Sieghard and the others tried to follow Adelbert inside, however, they found their path firmly blocked.

<Hey now,> said the first of the two guards, in Tilean. <Where do you think you're going? You think we let just anyone wander in here?>

RossN
2014-02-22, 08:06 PM
Adelbert Schreiber

An embarassed looking Adelbert was forced to translate the guards words to his companions before speaking to the guards in Tilean: <"They seek an audience with Monsignor Barbaro. Do you speak Reikspiel? They have no Tilean I am afraid.">

LCP
2014-02-22, 08:13 PM
<Barbaro?> asked the guard, surprised. He pointed to Sieghard and Elsa. <Those two smell like an accident in a brewery.> He pointed to Viggo. <That one looks like he got into a fight with an ogre. You think Barbaro will want to see them?>

RossN
2014-02-22, 08:32 PM
Adelbert Schreiber

Adelbert was not too certain of that but he persevered: <"We came here by way of Caerfort and were waylaid by goblins and wolves. That we are here at all is a minor miracle. Also the skinny one-"> he pointed at Viggo <"Has met with the priest before.">

Turning to his companions he slipped into Reikspiel and explained. "Um, how shall I put this: you don't exactly look or smell like people visiting a court grandee, at least as far as these guards are concerned."

TheSummoner
2014-02-22, 09:09 PM
Sieghard

"Then maybe they'd like to ask Barbaro himself. Tell him Viggo is back from visiting Caerfort and ask him if he's curious what we learned." He didn't care for the way the guard had pointed at him. Nor did he care for Adelbert's comment about his smell for that matter.

Does Barbaro speak Reikspiel? Probably should've considered this sooner, but things might get a bit complicated if he doesn't.

-Sentinel-
2014-02-23, 01:18 AM
"Um, how shall I put this: you don't exactly look or smell like people visiting a court grandee, at least as far as these guards are concerned."
Elsa did not take it too well. She whirled on Adelbert to reply something acerbic, regardless of the fact that the scribe was only the messenger, but stopped herself in time; she had an admittedly poor record of solving tricky situations by speaking, unless it was to cast a spell. At the price of a mighty effort, she held her tongue and let Adelbert do the talking.

LeSwordfish
2014-02-23, 04:15 AM
"Tell Barbaro we work for him." Ludo suggested. "Tell him the Caerfort expedition is back."

RossN
2014-02-23, 06:10 AM
Adelbert Schreiber

Once again Adelbert turned to the guards and communicated that the group had been to Caerfort and might have information for the priest's ears. He translated hurriedly, aware of the unfriendly glare Elsa was beaming on the back of his neck.

LCP
2014-02-23, 06:15 AM
The guards dubiously heard him out. As soon as the breathless runner boy had returned with news that Al-Makir would see his visitor, he was dispatched again to go ask Barbaro.

While they waited at the gates, the first guard pointed at Sieghard's sword and crossbow. <No weapons> he said, pointing to the ground just inside the wall. <You leave them here.>

RossN
2014-02-23, 07:29 AM
Adelbert Schreiber

Adelbert sighed and translated again, mortified to realise that he couldn't actually leave until the messenger boy returned because he alone knew Tilean. He hoped Al-Makir would understand his delay.

<"Do neither of you speak any Reikspiel at all?"> He asked the guards hopefully. <"Or even Classical? The red haired bambolina speaks Classical.">

LCP
2014-02-23, 09:23 AM
The two guards looked at each other.

<I know... how do you say it,> said the second. "Guten tag?"

TheSummoner
2014-02-23, 10:29 AM
Sieghard

Sieghard placed his weapons next to the wall without comment. He never liked leaving them in someone else's care, but he hadn't expected to be allowed to take them inside.

LeSwordfish
2014-02-23, 10:56 AM
Ludo left his weapons without complaining, and ordered Stoutheart to look after them. As usual, the terrier ignored him.

LCP
2014-02-23, 11:11 AM
Watching until all the weapons had been placed in a neat little pile, the first guard turned and shouted something across the yard. Some more mercenaries emerged, and engaged in a shouted conversation that it seemed to Elsa could have been conducted at a much less head-splitting volume if they'd just crossed the distance to talk to each other like civilised people. Then again, perhaps that was just the hangover.

The two sentries finally seemed to bend the others to their will, and a gaggle of five Iron Company pikemen came over. They weren't wearing their full armour, and had only the short swords at their belts - but they were still armed where the party was not. At about the same time, the runner boy came back.

<The priest will see them,> the first guard relayed to Adelbert. <If you're going to see the Arabyan, go. Don't keep him waiting.>

As the others were trooped off to see Barbaro, Adelbert went his separate way.

OOC: Assuming here that Elsa and Viggo have no problem with disarming: tell me if that's not the case.

Adelbert

Adelbert met Al-Makir in the same richly cluttered chambers they had met in last time. The Arabyan gave him a pearly smile.

"Herr Schreiber!" he said, spreading his arms in welcome. "So glad to see you back. I hope your journey was profitable?" His eyes lingered on Adelbert's wounds, and he cocked an eyebrow. "Or perhaps not?"

Elsa, Ludo, Viggo & Sieghard

If Viggo had been expecting another visit to the half-finished palace, he was in for a disappointment. They were marched into a muddy alley under the shadow of the inner wall, and kept waiting there until a small door opened in the timber palisade. With the look of someone who had dressed, Daniele Barbaro emerged, accompanied by two more Iron Company men.

"Ah. It is, um... you," he said, trying to cover for the fact that he didn't seem to be able to remember Viggo's name. His Reikspiel was good, but it carried a strong Tilean accent. In his cream-coloured gown and spotless shoes, he presented a stark contrast to the scruffy, bloodstained party of four in front of him. "These are your associates? I hear you have some news from Caerfort."

He paused, looking them up and down. "It seems the road did not treat you well, signores."

-Sentinel-
2014-02-23, 11:20 AM
Elsabeth Holt

Elsa left her goblin spear and her dagger at the entrance without arguing. Her best weapon could not be taken from her.

Elsa, Ludo, Viggo & Sieghard
"It seems the road did not treat you well, signores."

"Ah, but we treated it worse," Elsa chuckled.

RossN
2014-02-23, 11:33 AM
Adelbert Schreiber

Adelbert smiled ruefully. "Not profitable at all really Al-Makir... well I suppose I did get more material for my history book but nothing that will make me the toast of the scholars of Nuln. On the journey back we were attacked by goblins and scarcely made it through alive. Truth be told I would have seen a Barber-Surgeon or Priestess of Shallya before coming here but... it seems Mirino has neither to offer me."

He took a seat, wincing visibly as he sat down and with an effort smiled. "Still I am alive and will try to fufill our contract. Has anything changed while I was away? I hope your time has been less eventful than my own!"

LCP
2014-02-23, 11:58 AM
Adelbert

Al-Makir's grin didn't change. "Oh, nothing changes around here, Herr Schreiber," he said. "I am glad to see you back, though - and mostly in one piece. When do you think you will be able to begin the work?" He waved a hand. "If your wounds are troubling you, I am sure we could get one of Bianco's little helpers to give you a few stitches."

RossN
2014-02-23, 12:05 PM
Adelbert Schreiber

Adelbert smiled, thankfully. "Thank you I would appreciate that. As for work I can start in the morning if you like - though perhaps you should show me the documents I will be working from to see exactly what I am dealing with."

LeSwordfish
2014-02-23, 12:10 PM
LVSE
Ludo bowed. "Signor Barbaro, allow me to introduce myself. Ludovic Stubbs, of the Sermena Stubbs, at your service. I was the guide for these people on their journey to Caerfort, and I consider myself something of an expert in antiquities. I'm told you are searching for the crusaders!"

LCP
2014-02-23, 12:15 PM
Adelbert

Al-Makir spread his hands as if to ask forgiveness. "Ah," he said. "There are many documents. Contracts, dockets, bills of sale. For many years I am telling myself, "Abdul, you must have copies!", but I never have the time." He grinned again. "I will have my men bring them round in the morning, yes? For now you can rest."

Ludo et al.

Barbaro looked down with a curious expression when Ludo spoke. Waving a hand, he dismissed the other Tileans apart from the two who had emerged with him.

"I may have mentioned it," he said, undoubtedly interested. "Did you find anything?"

RossN
2014-02-23, 12:28 PM
Adelbert Schreiber

Adelbert smiled. "I won't lie, rest sounds good... though if there are any of Bianco's little helpers as you put it around I would accept their attention too."

The scribe thoughtfully ran a finger through his moustache. "Herr Al-Makir... if this information is important will I need to look to guards to protect myself? I am a stranger to these lands and admit the politics are a little outside my area. If I may be so indelicate to put it... should I be suspicious of anyone?"

LCP
2014-02-23, 02:47 PM
Adelbert

Abdul laughed. "In this town? A man would have to be desperate indeed to steal from Captain Sforza." He looked under his eyebrows at Adelbert. "We can trust you, can't we, Herr Schreiber?"

RossN
2014-02-23, 06:16 PM
Adelbert Schreiber

Adelbert laughed. "I should think so; having experienced the delights of wilderness travel in the Reaches I think a job with security has a lot more attractions. I've no desire to be a goblin's scribe in chief."

The scribe leaned forward in his chair and winced again, his wounds clearly bothering him. "There is one thing I did want to ask though: as the tax collector will you be travelling to the other villages in Last Water and should I accompany you?"

LCP
2014-02-23, 06:23 PM
Adelbert

Al-Makir looked a little confused as to why Adelbert would think that. "These are papers we already have," he said. "My men will bring them to your office. There'll be no need for you to leave town."

RossN
2014-02-23, 06:28 PM
Adelbert Schreiber

Adelbert looked a little disappointed, having evidently assumed his job was more of an actual (if minor) court posting than simply doing freelance work. "Oh, of course."

After a few moments of thoughtful silence he said: "Well Herr Al-Makir if that will be all I would truly appreciate a chance to meet that healer you mentioned."

TheSummoner
2014-02-24, 12:35 AM
Sieghard

"Rumors and stories, mostly," Sieghard replied, "Though worth looking into, I'd wager. Have you ever laid eyes on the chapel at Caerfort by any chance?"

Northern Lad
2014-02-24, 07:51 AM
Viggo Hirtzel

Viggo nodded at the guards as if he understood what they had said, before leaning his bow and quiver against the wall next to Sieghards crossbow. He then unbuckled his Uncle Ralf's sword and the long hunting dagger which hung at his side.

Maintaining his smile he reached down and pulled a slender dagger from his boot and reaching into his bright green coat he pulled out a throwing knife, then another and then finally a third. They all joined the growing pile of weaponry.

Knocking the side of his head to indicate his forgetfulness, he reached up either sleeve producing two more knives. He was about to join the others before he trotted back to the pile of weapons, reaching around behind him he produced yet another knife which he placed alongside the others.

SLEV

Viggo nodded in agreement with Sieghard, "Caerfort is more Bretonnian than a Grail Knights pants, excepting that chapel Father." The young minstrel smiled brightly at the old Priest.

"My.. associates and I were following up on a very promising lead given to us by the Village Elder when we were attacked by a goblin raiding party. It seems likely that there are older ruins and more likely candidates for where evidence of the Blazing Sun's might be found." Viggo did his best to keep his tone upbeat, he wanted to enthuse the Old Goat after all.

LCP
2014-02-24, 03:19 PM
At the gates

The guards watch Viggo's contributions to the pile of weaponry with expressions of mounting disbelief. When he finally seemed to be done, they looked inclined to search him for more, but decided against it. What possible places could he have left to hide a knife?

Adelbert

"Of course," smiled Abdul. He clapped his hands. There was a long silence in which his smile turned to a frown, and he clapped them again. A tall, sulky-looking Arabyan with the look of a fighting man peered around the edge of the door.

"Rahim!" snapped Abdul. What followed was a rapid exchange in Arabyan that Adelbert could not even begin to make sense of. Full of soft consonants and noises at the back of the throat, the sound of it was far more foreign to him than any of the languages he had learned.

"This way," said Rahim in slow, painful Reikspiel, and made to lead Adelbert out. Getting to his feet, Al-Makir bowed to Adelbert and shook his hand.

"Tomorrow morning, yes?" he confirmed. "I will have Rahim bring the papers over at first light."

Rahim didn't look too keen about that.

~

Leaving the palace, Rahim led Adelbert back into the barrack-yard. Eventually they fetched up outside a small wooden hut, built in the same square and orderly fashion as the rest of the structures inside the palisade. If anything, it seemed to Adelbert like a very solid tent - the floor was packed earth, and the door was just a canvas curtain. A wooden icon of Shallya had been suspended over it by some superstitious soldier.

Inside, it took Adelbert's eyes a few moments to adjust to the lack of light. There was a huge wooden table in the centre of the building's one long room, large and sturdy enough to bear a man. Iron restraints had been bolted onto the sides, and at some of the edges it was as scored as a carpenter's bench. Three covered buckets stood in one corner alongside a mop, and a rack on the wall held an assortment of gleaming pincers and bonesaws that Adelbert didn't care to look at for too long. A small gutter ran from under the table and out through a culvert in the timbers of the southern-facing wall.

A man was sitting on the table with his back to Adelbert and Rahim, buttoning up his breeches. He was talking to a serious-looking, doughy-faced young man with an apron, who was shaking a glass bottle of something or other with an expression of intense concentration.

<It's probably nothing, right?> Adelbert heard the man on the table say in Tilean. <The air here, it's too dry. I was out on the Sermena patrol last month, I'm still getting the sand out of my clothes.>

The other man said nothing, but glanced up at Adelbert and Rahim. Following his eyes, the first man looked round and practically jumped off the table.

<Thank you, Paulo> he said, taking the bottle the man had been shaking in rather a hurry. <I'll - I'll be going now.>

He bolted past them in rather a hurry. Paulo calmly watched him go.

<Good afternoon, Rahim,> he said, cordially. <Who is this?>

In curt and somewhat limited Tilean, Rahim explained. Paulo nodded, coming closer and squinting at Adelbert's wounds. He seemed a little excited - if nervous - to be dealing with actual battle wounds.

<Please,> he said, gesturing to the ominous table, <sit.>

Sieghard, Elsa, Ludo & Viggo

The 'old goat' raised his eyebrows.

"I have only passed that way once myself," he said, "and we did not stay long. What is so special about this chapel? And where do you think these other ruins might be?" He looked around at the group, smiling benificently. "Perhaps you should start at the beginning."

RossN
2014-02-24, 03:31 PM
Adelbert Schreiber

Adelbert did so, trying not to look nervous - he still had memories of Ortholf's 'healing'. <"Paulo is it? Tilean? Ah are you a military surgeon with one of the mercenary companies?">

He rather hoped so. It would mean the fellow would at least have some experience. <"As you can see I have suffered at the hands of goblins and wolves.">

LCP
2014-02-24, 03:49 PM
Adelbert

Paulo nodded vigorously, heading towards a chest of drawers at the back of the room and beginning to hunt through it.

<I am apprenticed to Doctor Bianco> he said, producing a long, curved needle and holding it up to the light. <Myself and Andrei. He teaches us to look after the Captain's soldiers.>

Shaking his head, he set the needle down. Scuttling back over to where Adelbert was sitting, he ran his fingers through Adelbert's hair like a monkey picking at ticks. The hair around the wound was matted and stiff with old blood.

<I see no putrefaction,> he said. <I will make a compress for the wound, but first I have to clean it.> He spoke rapidly, seeming to list the steps as much for his own benefit as for Adelbert's. Hurrying back to the drawers, he began to rummage through them with a great clattering of unseen tools. Suddenly he stopped and turned back to Adelbert.

<Are you greatly attached to your hair?> he asked. Adelbert saw he had a straight razor in his hand. The young surgeon made an apologetic face. <It's in the way. I only need to shave a little patch...>

RossN
2014-02-24, 04:00 PM
Adelbert Schreiber

Adelbert looked alarmed and instinctively raised a protective hand to his hair. <"It will grow back right?">

It took him a few moments but with clear reluctance he lowered his arm. <"I suppose if it is neccessary...">

TheSummoner
2014-02-24, 04:17 PM
Sieghard

"From the beginning then... When we made it to Caerfort, we found it just as Viggo said: far more Brettonian than we were expecting. Couldn't help but notice the carvings on the chapel though... Greenskins fleeing from Myrmidia's eagle. When we asked the village elder, we learned the carving had been salvaged from an older chapel that had burnt down. Ancient as their "new" chapel is, the original one would've had to been built around the same time as the tower itself."

LCP
2014-02-24, 04:28 PM
Adelbert

Adelbert looked alarmed and instinctively raised a protective hand to his hair. <"It will grow back right?">

<Absolutely!> said Paulo, nodding enthusiastically. He checked himself. <Except... maybe not around the scar.>

Whetting the razorblade, he got to work.

[roll0] (TN 50)

Soon enough, he'd shaved a sizeable patch of Adelbert's hair, and painfully pulled away the scabs with it. He doused the wound with some strong-smelling liquor, which stung like anything, and then packed a cool compress onto it which he secured with a bandage. Adelbert didn't feel much better for it. He was pretty sure that if he walked down the street looking like this even the whores would laugh at him.

<There we go, signor> said Paulo, stepping back to appraise his handiwork. He seemed to be hanging on what Adelbert would say. <You must leave the compress in place for two days. After that, I would advise you to keep your head covered from the sun. If the wound still pains you then you might rub a little honey on it.>

Not Adelbert

"That would be old indeed," said Barbaro. His tone was polite but the details didn't seem to have grabbed him. "Did you find any evidence of who built it?"

RossN
2014-02-24, 04:39 PM
Adelbert Schreiber

Adelbert felt less than convinced but there was nothing he could do for the moment (other than memorise Paulo's face in case he was to be put on the list.) <"I see... well thank you Herr Paulo.">

He mournfully stared at the shaved locks of hair on the ground for a few moments, then departed, anxious to return to his loft (and not coincidentally stay out of public view as much as possible.)

TheSummoner
2014-02-24, 05:16 PM
Sieghard

"The old chapel? None unfortunately, it had burnt down long ago. I doubt it was the Brettonians, though. Their common folk may look to Myrmidia, but their crusaders had their own goddess. Caerfort itself offered little definitive proof, but Orderic, the elder mentioned ruins in the Mere that may be more promising. A dangerous undertaking, but perhaps worthwhile."

LCP
2014-02-24, 06:23 PM
Sieghard & co.

Now Barbaro seemed a little more interested. "And you know where these ruins are?"

TheSummoner
2014-02-24, 07:48 PM
Sieghard

"I know only what we heard in Caerfort. I might be willing to look though."

Northern Lad
2014-02-25, 06:09 AM
Viggo Hirtzel

"Father, the Mere is virtually full of ruins and the like, it's a surprise there's any room left in it for water by all accounts." Viggo smiled rakishly, hoping that Barbaro would catch his sarcasm. "As Sieghard here says though, searching through that swamp without preparing properly would be foolhardy."

Adopting a pained expression and pointing to Sieghard, Elsa and finally himself he continues, "As I mentioned we already ran afoul of a band of Wolf Riders and I hardly think that they are the worst we might have to face if we continue in this search." They bloody better be!

"The truth of it is Sir is that there is proof of The Lady of the Spear out there, but without proper provisions and backing we might never uncover it." Viggo's voice took on a pious mournful tone as if the very idea of giving up the search were sacrilegious

LCP
2014-02-25, 12:54 PM
Vieghard & Friends

Understanding dawned on the priest's face with the slightest hint of a sly smile.

"So you have come to me," he said. "Very good."

He looked down at his fingernails. They were already immaculately clean. "I could offer you some money for this search, if you could bring me some proof that it is not a... what is the phrase..." He fumbled his Reikspiel a little. "A chase for the wild goose. Ruins in the swamp I have heard before. You are the first people I ever hear know who built them."

TheSummoner
2014-02-25, 01:09 PM
Sieghard

"It is but a theory, Father Barbaro. As I said, we only know what the Brettonians told us. Still, one must be willing to search if he ever hopes to find anything.

We wouldn't expect pay until we found anything. We'd just like to be sure our work will be properly rewarded when we do. And of course, any aid you could offer would allow us to continue searching sooner and keep at it longer."

LCP
2014-02-25, 02:22 PM
Sieghard & co.

"If only I could help you more," said Barbaro, with a sympathetic smile. "But as you know, I am only a humble priest. Such... costs would have to be justified to the captain. If you did find something, though... I assure you you would be rewarded handsomely."

The two Tileans with him looked at Barbaro as if they would quite like to have been told about this handsome reward before today.

OOC: I think Barbaro's base position is fairly clear here. Feel free to use social rolls (or new/more concrete offers) to try to influence him one way or another.

TheSummoner
2014-02-25, 02:37 PM
Sieghard

"Then perhaps a form of aid that also furthers the captains goals would be more appropriate. From what I've heard, doctor Bianco has taken apprentices. Surely the captain would benefit if they were given some more experience treating the wounded."

LCP
2014-02-25, 03:25 PM
Sieghard & co.

"The doctor's assistants?" said Barbaro. He seemed pleased by how little Sieghard was asking. "I think that can be arranged. It is the least I can do to repay you for your brave expedition."

TheSummoner
2014-02-25, 03:38 PM
Sieghard

Sieghard nodded.

"Of course, it may take more than one treatment before we are in any state to set out again. Even goblins can prove deadly when out in force. I can't speak for the others, but I at least am willing to keep searching so long as I know that any injuries I receive in the captain's service were cared for."

-Sentinel-
2014-02-25, 05:58 PM
The gang

"I can't speak for the others, but I at least am willing to keep searching so long as I know that any injuries I receive in the captain's service were cared for."
"Likewise," Elsa chimed in. "Oh, and are the marshes especially hard to navigate? Might be useful to know before we set off..."

LCP
2014-02-25, 06:54 PM
SELV

Barbaro's smile didn't fade. Something about the whole exchange seemed to tickle him.

"Of course, it may take more than one treatment before we are in any state to set out again. Even goblins can prove deadly when out in force. I can't speak for the others, but I at least am willing to keep searching so long as I know that any injuries I receive in the captain's service were cared for."

The priest nodded sagely.

"I think I can arrange this for you."

"Likewise," Elsa chimed in. "Oh, and are the marshes especially hard to navigate? Might be useful to know before we set off..."

Barbaro spread his hands in a gesture of innocent ignorance.

"Truth, signora, I have never crossed them. Perhaps the locals might know better."

Tilting his head at Elsa, he looked at her curiously. "Forgive an old priest's rudeness - what brings such a beautiful young lady to these dangerous paths?"

LeSwordfish
2014-02-26, 04:29 AM
LESV
"I'm sure you understand how these expeditions go..." Ludo said. "A ...downpayment on your part now, or perhaps a good word to the captain with regards to the use of a few of his mercenaries, could go a long way to preventing your proof from sinking into the swamp if we get attacked again."

OOC
Charm: [roll0] vs 48- possibly 58, if Viggo is willing to "Assist"

Fate if failed: [roll1]

Northern Lad
2014-02-26, 07:39 AM
VLES

Viggo nodded enthusiastically as Ludo spoke, given his recent change of circumstances some financial backing would not go amiss.

"We're not looking for you to empty the church coffers Father. A little help with the expenses is all we ask really, you know for camping and digging equipment, something towards the cost of hiring local swamp skimmers as guides, that type of thing?"

He tipped his blue cap back a little and scratched delicately at the wound on his head.

OOC

Hopefully this counts as Ludo's assist! Don't think I also need to roll a charm test, but here's one just in case!

Charm FEL 38 - [roll0]
re-roll - [roll1]

-Sentinel-
2014-02-26, 09:45 AM
VELS

"Forgive an old priest's rudeness - what brings such a beautiful young lady to these dangerous paths?"
Elsa twitched at the priest's wording; she hated to be treated like a porcelain figure, especially when she went out of her way not to look like one. "Opportunity," she answered, her tone neutral. "The chance to be judged by my deeds, not my looks or name or background."

OOC: Nice rolls, guys!

LCP
2014-02-26, 02:30 PM
SELV

If Barbaro got Elsa's hint, it didn't show in his eyes. Still smiling his flatterer's smile, he nodded slowly. "And what is this name that you do not wish judged? Forgive me, but we have not been introduced."

Looking back to the others, his smile became a little more fixed. "There is only so much I can help you," he said, wincing apologetically. "I am only a humble servant of Myrmidia. I have no riches of my own."

Viggo seemed to remember a chamber of silk cushions and silver coffee pots that gave the lie to that claim.

"Perhaps, though, I could arrange for you to be given... a little coin in advance," he said, pinching thumb and forefinger to indicate a very small amount. "How much do you think you would require?"

LeSwordfish
2014-02-26, 05:54 PM
Ludo et al
Ludo made an approximate hand gesture. "Hard to say, hard to say...of course, while you may not have funds, senor, you do have the golden currency of influence. For example, could Capitano Sforza be prevailed upon to sponsor our historical research?"

-Sentinel-
2014-02-26, 06:06 PM
Not Adelbert

"And what is this name that you do not wish judged? Forgive me, but we have not been introduced."
"Elsa will do, thanks." She paused, then made a gamble: "From the Bright Order of Altdorf." If Barbaro had never heard of it, it would be foolhardy to reveal more about her abilities.

LCP
2014-02-26, 06:07 PM
SELV

Barbaro made a reluctant face. "I think... it would be best to keep this between us. For now," he added. "The Captain does not like to be unduly disturbed."

"Elsa will do, thanks." She paused, then made a gamble: "From the Bright Order of Altdorf."

"The... Bright Order," repeated Barbaro. From the slow way he said it, she suspected he was struggling to recognise the words through the language barrier - but he looked at her with a new, greedy interest. "Altdorf? Forgive me, bella mia, but this is one of the conjurers' colleges?"

-Sentinel-
2014-02-26, 06:29 PM
Not Adelbert

Elsa thought the look on the man's face was encouraging. "The College of Fire, yes," she answered. "But since I'm not here in any official capacity, I speak in no one's name but my own."

TheSummoner
2014-02-26, 09:29 PM
Scheming behind Adelbert's back again

"The Captain does not like to be unduly disturbed."

Sieghard spoke up, slightly irritated at how interested in Elsa the priest had become.

"There will be no need to bother him until something is found. Though perhaps you could also see about waiving the toll at the gates for us while we search."

Northern Lad
2014-02-27, 08:09 AM
All Non Adelberts

The bloody Old Goat can't help himself, thought Viggo ruefully as he risked a sidewards glance at Elsa. I suppose she is quite pretty in a 'I'll burn a hole through your chest if you look at me wrong' sort of way.

"So" piped up Viggo, as he began counting off each finger, "We'd need a fund to cover expenses such as camping equipment, digging tools and the sort. We did have most of this already but we lost a lot during the attack." He lied glibly. "Based on our previous experiences we'd need a bit more.. muscle so to speak. Also we'd like to hire some local swamp skimmers as guides. Food, lodgings..." His head bobbed from side to side as he trailed off into a mutter.

Viggo's left eye swam away as he appeared to be mentally calculating. "Deduct medical expenses which the Father says he his happy to arrange and perhaps a signed permit allowing us to waive the Gate Tax".. Two fingers went down as he sucked his teeth, "Let's say... about Fifteen Gold sovereigns should cover it, I'd say?"

OOC

Just to be clear Viggo is totally winging this and has no idea how he came to the 15gold total! Call him out if it's too much too little!

LCP
2014-02-27, 01:41 PM
No Adelberts

Barbaro waved a dismissive hand towards Sieghard and Viggo, as if to say "details, details". Viggo's number seemed to give him an unpleasant start, though.

"That seems a lot," he said. "Perhaps we can negotiate later, signor? I am talking to the lady."

Clapping his hands together, he turned back to Elsa, his broad smile rematerialising as if it had never been gone.

"Bella signora, one such as you should not be sullying your hands digging for trinkets! Ah, if you only knew how often I have heard the Captain complaining at the injustice of it, that the madman of Manann should have a wizard and not him!" He put his hand over his heart, as if swearing an oath. "Leave it to Daniele, signora, and I will arrange an audience with him for you to join our company."

-Sentinel-
2014-02-27, 03:36 PM
Not Adelbert

Elsa strived not to grin; she had to look professional. "I'm happy to hear it. I've met too many people without any respect for legitimate wizards, like Duke Alvarr's rabid dog Jager... but if your captain sees the real value in my skills, I'd be honored to work for him."

LCP
2014-02-27, 04:41 PM
No Adelberts

One of those names seemed to bring Barbaro's train of thought to an abrupt halt. His grin briefly vanishing, he furrowed his brow.

"...Alvarr?" he said. He paused, then waved a hand. "No matter - you can explain later. Perhaps - perhaps before you see the Captain."

Slipping back into his smooth patter, he spread his hands in a gesture of mock despair towards Elsa. "But look at me, signora! Daniele, he is prattling like the fool. Can we bring you to Captain Sforza all bloody and ragged? No!" He turned on his heel, and his white robe whirled around his ankles as he beckoned for them to follow him. "Come! I will bring you to the doctor's assistants."

TheSummoner
2014-02-28, 12:01 AM
Sans Schreiber

Sieghard rolled his eyes. It's not Sforza whose interested, and not your magic that interests him.

"There's still the matter of the handsome reward to discuss," Sieghard said, trying to hide his frustration (and not doing a very good job of it). "Though I suppose it can wait until Bianco's apprentices have seen us."

-Sentinel-
2014-02-28, 12:17 AM
Not Adelbert

Better not mention Alvarr again, Elsa gathered from the priest's reaction. When Sieghard began speaking about money, she not-so-subtly stepped on his foot; this might just be her opportunity to become someone, and she did not want the mercenary to derail it with such immediate, prosaic concerns. She followed Barbaro, suddenly more self-conscious about her ragged, disheveled look.

TheSummoner
2014-02-28, 12:35 AM
Unsubschreibed

Sieghard glared at Elsa spitefully, but kept his mouth shut. Anything he had to say could wait until their business with Barbaro was finished.

Northern Lad
2014-02-28, 05:19 AM
Adelbertless

She must be feeling weaker than she's making out, thought Viggo as he saw Elsa accidentally trip over Sieghard.

Following along he muttered to Ludo and Sieghard, "I suppose it was only a matter of time before Lady Muck got back in with her own kind. Can't have a high born Lady and a wizard to boot hanging out with the likes of us for long eh?" He was trying to make light but he wasn't sure that he kept the edge of envy that he was feeling from creeping in.

LeSwordfish
2014-02-28, 05:24 AM
The No Historians Club (we're allowed one)
Ludo fell into step behind the others, glancing up at Viggo.

"What? See, I disagree, I saw what happened in Alvarr. You'd be right, maybe, if this was going to work."

Northern Lad
2014-02-28, 06:04 AM
My Kingdom for a Scribe!

Viggo's brow furrowed as he returned Ludo's glance, "Why, what happened up there?" He still couldn't help but scratch at his head. It's bloody maddening!

LeSwordfish
2014-02-28, 06:12 AM
Lets Talk About Adelbert Behind His Back
"Let us say that Alvarr's court is in no danger of getting any larger, or of catching fire."

Northern Lad
2014-02-28, 06:38 AM
Schreiber Who?

Viggo tries to contain a snort of laughter, hoping Elsa or the 'Old Goat' don't hear them Viggo replies softly to Ludo

"Well even if she can't get a job setting things on fire for the Capitano, she might find some employment sitting in the Fathers lap.. So to speak." Viggos' customary open grin had returned as he spoke to the Halfling.

TheSummoner
2014-02-28, 09:57 AM
Still Half Literate

Sieghard followed along at the back of the group. He spoke scornfully, but kept his voice low.

"If noble Frau Holt's pampered ass would rather sit on an old man's lap than stay with us, then she's welcome to. It is what she's been trained for since birth for, after all. Maybe if the rest of us put on red wigs, Barbaro would be able to justify the expense of keeping us around."

LCP
2014-02-28, 04:47 PM
We Don't Need No Education

Barbaro led them to a long timber hut, built along the same neat lines as the rest of the barracks compound. Inside were all the trappings of the surgeon's trade - blades, bandages and buckets, ranged around a table with leather straps to hold resisting patients in place. A little gutter ran around its legs and out of a culvert in the south wall.

A young, doughy-faced man in a clean-ish apron looked round at their arrival. He had barely made his respects to Barbaro before he and the priest launched into a fast-paced conversation in Tilean. Sieghard could follow none of it, but thought he heard Barbaro invoke Sforza's name.

Seeming more than a little intimidated by the prospect, the young surgeon scuttled forwards to examine their wounds. Looking at the gash in Elsa's scalp, he sucked air through his teeth.

"Un altro," he said to himself. "Signora,, I must be cutting of the hair. To... clean," he said, making a rubbing motion on his head.

Barbaro interceded, again in Tilean. He seemed to be trying to browbeat the surgeon, but the young man uncertainly held his ground.

Sighing, Barbaro turned to Elsa.

"Paulo says he can work without cutting, signora,, but it will be more difficult. I tell him the choice is yours, not his."

-Sentinel-
2014-02-28, 10:38 PM
We Don't Need No Thought Control

Elsa considered it, and decided the time for vanity was long past. She addressed the surgeon, enunciating clearly to make sure he understood: "Cut some if you have to. I might leave you a tip if you manage not to remove too much."

LCP
2014-03-01, 05:20 AM
No Fancy Scribing in the Classroom

Barbaro relayed what Elsa had said in Tilean, to make sure it was clear. Nodding nervously, Paulo went and fetched a pair of scissors...

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Getting Elsa to sit on the table first, Paulo cut away a strip of hair around the wound. The act of disentangling Elsa's matted locks from the great mass of dried blood that had formed was quite painful.

From there, he to work preparing compresses and clean bandages for the three of them. Made from linen, honey, and pungent-smelling herbs, the compresses could only be applied after the wounds had been cleaned, for which Paulo heated wine over a small stove in the corner. Dabbing it on with a folded cloth that stung where it touched, he rubbed away the crusted scabs in smears of red.

With the compresses in place and their wounds bound with clean bandages, Paulo finally stepped back to view his work. He seemed satisfied, though none of them felt much better.

-Sentinel-
2014-03-01, 04:59 PM
Scribes, leave them adventurers alone

Elsabeth lightly touched the bandaged area, trying to tell without a mirror if there was enough hair left to hide the scar that would be sure to remain. She shrugged and decided it would have to be acceptable, like it or not.

"Thank you, Paulo," she said in a rather lukewarm tone, just for the sake of politeness. She dug into her purse and gave the surgeon a dozen copper coins.

[roll0] to be precise.

LCP
2014-03-02, 06:25 AM
It was supposed to be Hey Schreiber!

Paulo looked rather surprised to see the money. He held one of Elsa's copper pfennigs up to the light from the window, squinting at Karl Franz's blurry face on the coin. He didn't seem all that grateful - but after all, Elsa's tip was hardly generous for a young man of his skills.

"There, then," said Barbaro, much more effusive than the surgeon's apprentice. "Now, signora, will you tell me where in the town you stay? I will send word as soon as we are ready to take you to the Captain."

LeSwordfish
2014-03-02, 06:46 AM
Shame he's not an initiate yet because personally I think "Hey! Preacher!" would have worked better
"How long do you expect this to take?" Ludo asked the old man. As usual for a new place, he was wandering vaguely around, looking at the interesting collection of tools.

-Sentinel-
2014-03-02, 11:51 AM
It was supposed to be Hey Schreiber!
No, the Hey! comes only at the second instance of that line. Listen to the song again.
"Now, signora, will you tell me where in the town you stay? I will send word as soon as we are ready to take you to the Captain."

Not noticing Paulo's disappointment (or pretending not to), Elsa described to Barbaro the place where she lodged. "I'll get my clothes mended and washed right away. As you can see, the past few days haven't been kind on them."

LCP
2014-03-02, 12:37 PM
but it's not as funnyyyyy

Barbaro looked Elsa's attire up and down.

"Si... perhaps that would be best," he said, a little dubiously. "Or perhaps I bring you something new? The first impressions... they are important, no?"

"How long do you expect this to take?" Ludo asked the old man. As usual for a new place, he was wandering vaguely around, looking at the interesting collection of tools.

Barbaro airily waved a hand. "A couple of days, perhaps. Time to choose the..." - he snapped his fingers, looking for the phrase - "...opportune moment." He looked back to Elsa for confirmation. "I will visit before, yes? To practice what you are going to say."

Having wandered over to the north wall of the cabin, Ludo stared up at the dangling assortment of surgeon's tools hanging from the rack on the wall. There were bonesaws, scalpels, lancets and pliers, all steel, all polished until they gleamed. Most curious of all was the toothed trepanning drill.

OOC: Let me know when you're ready to leave.

When you say Elsa described where she was lodging - that's Adelbert's place?

-Sentinel-
2014-03-02, 01:03 PM
Temporarily out of funny ideas

"Or perhaps I bring you something new? The first impressions... they are important, no?"

Elsa was reluctant to change clothes, but decided it would be best to go with it. "All right. Do pick something that's somewhat... practical. As you say, first impressions are important, and since he's a soldier and will no doubt be planning to take me on his campaigns, I wouldn't want him to think I'm some delicate perfumed lady."

"I will visit before, yes? To practice what you are going to say."

That did not please Elsa too much, either, but she just nodded. She was willing to avoid certain subjects, such as any mentions of Alvarr, but she was certainly not going to repeat rehearsed lines like an actress. That was not like her, and she would let no one believe she was an obedient pet.

When you say Elsa described where she was lodging - that's Adelbert's place?
Yes.

LCP
2014-03-02, 01:19 PM
Scribeless in Mirino

Grinning his toothy smile, Barbaro sketched out a half-bow. "Of course," he said. "Until later, then?"

LeSwordfish
2014-03-02, 01:27 PM
a redheaded wizard, a grizzled mercenary, a cheerful halfling and a young entertainer. there, now we've been de-scribed
Tearing his eyes away from the tools- if he could trepann, Sforza's doctor must really be something- Ludo shrugged. "We'll negotiate again later, senor. I look forward to it."

LCP
2014-03-02, 01:29 PM
De-scribed wins.

Barbaro nodded. "Of course, signor halfling. Any time." While he was unfailingly polite, now that he had discovered Elsa he seemed far less interested in the matter than before.

-Sentinel-
2014-03-02, 02:00 PM
That it does.

Elsa could tell she had possibly derailed the others' short-term plans and most likely annoyed them in the process, but it was too late to do anything about it now. Hopefully she would be able to use her newfound status to find her friends good positions under the Mirino government.

"See you soon, signor Barbaro. How long do you think I have to prepare?"

OOC: Did we get our weapons back at some point?

TheSummoner
2014-03-02, 02:20 PM
Ok, Adelbert, We're Done Hiding

"I can see why you didn't want to talk to Barbaro again. I wish I had the good sense to listen."

Sieghard scratched at the bandages on his arm. Despite his apparent disappointment in their meeting Barbaro, it was clear that they had at least managed to see a healer for their trouble.

OOC: I'd imagine we get/got them back when we leave/left.

LCP
2014-03-02, 02:46 PM
Back With Barbaro

"I will come to find you," said Barbaro. "Maybe tomorrow, maybe the next day, yes? We find the best time."

OOC: You get your weapons back when you leave the compound.

RossN
2014-03-02, 04:23 PM
Adelbert Schreiber

Adelbert was busy writing in his journal when Sieghard returned; the scribe had a bandage on his head showing he too had visited a healer - though his rueful expression showed he had little faith in his surgeon.

"I'm sorry to hear that Sieghard... to be honest i hoped you had better luck." The scribe commiserated. "My own interiew with the Arabyan went well enough, though I think the healer he supplied was useless. Still at least we'll have money from working on Al-Makir's documents and we have those pelts we must ask Krucke about. We can wait things out in Mirino until we are well enough to travel on to greener pastures."

The scribe lay down his quill and smiled. "Come on, let's drown our sorrows over an ale or two at the Chalice."

LeSwordfish
2014-03-02, 04:35 PM
"What are Al'Makir's documents?" Ludo asked, nudging Stoutheart away from where he was trying to eyeball Krucke's cat. "I would have presumed he could write anything reasonable himself."

RossN
2014-03-02, 04:40 PM
Adelbert Schreiber

Adelbert looked puzzled a moment before he recalled he hadn't actually revealed earlier.

"Oh he wants copies created of tax records and the like." Adelbert explained. "I imagine he wants everything in one place in one readable hand rather than in dozens of different scrawls."

TheSummoner
2014-03-02, 04:47 PM
Sieghard

"We might've, if the dirty bastard would've stopped trying to stare through Elsa's clothes and taken a moment to actually discuss things." He shot Elsa a dirty look.

"Ales sound good... I'd like to see to the hides sometime today, though."

RossN
2014-03-02, 04:51 PM
Adelbert Schreiber

Elsa?! Adelbert thought with disbelief. He'd be lying if he said his eyes hadn't strayed to the redhead before now but frankly... and there wasn't an easy way to put this... she could do with taking a bath or two.

"Well... uh... let's check on the pelts first, then ales." He moved for the ladder and climbed down to look for Krucke.

LCP
2014-03-02, 04:53 PM
Krucke was snoring in his splintered chair under the stairs. It was where he seemed to spend most of his time, regardless of the time of day.

LeSwordfish
2014-03-02, 04:55 PM
"If we wanted to lean on Barbaro for further funding his, ah, connection to Elsa might come in handy."

Ludo paused, and then hastily corrected himself. "I don't mean Elsa should, ah, use her, uh, yes, well, um. He probably also wants to get Elsa into Sforza's court because it will raise his own standing. We could use that- Elsa could hint that her trips out for Barbaro's expeditions help her focus at court or something. If he's enamored already..."

RossN
2014-03-02, 05:01 PM
Adelbert Schreiber

Adelbert forebode to comment on Ludo's suggestion (other than to silently hope elsa didn't burn the shop to the ground.) Instead he tapped loudly on the doorframe.

"Herr Krucke." He raised his voice while trying to keep it polite and measured. "We wish to go and have our pelts examined."

TheSummoner
2014-03-02, 05:04 PM
Sieghard

"He wants her in his bed, not Sforza's court, and the only thing having her around is going to raise is-" Sieghard said before being conveniently cut off by Adelbert.

-Sentinel-
2014-03-02, 05:06 PM
"We might've, if the dirty bastard would've stopped trying to stare through Elsa's clothes and taken a moment to actually discuss things." He shot Elsa a dirty look.
"I like to think it was my mind he was interested in. Specifically, its ability to reshape reality," said Elsa, glaring back. "Sieghard, I'm trying to keep things civilized between us, but I'd like the effort to be mutual. Try to see the big picture: if Sforza's interested in my powers, it could benefit us all."

"He wants her in his bed, not Sforza's court, and the only thing having her around is going to raise is-" Sieghard said before being conveniently cut off by Adelbert.
"Whyyyy, of course," spat Elsa, forgetting her earlier comment about trying to keep things civilized. "Since I'm a woman, what's between my legs is the only interest anyone would possibly see in me, right? Have you spent so much time working around whores that you now see every woman as one, or are you just envious that I'm being invited at the court while you bounce for a brothel and dig for artifacts?"

LCP
2014-03-02, 05:08 PM
Krucke woke with a snort and a start. "I was awake!" he shouted. Picking up a stick from beside his chair, he pointed it at Ludo. "Keep your hands to yourselves! Don't you think I'm not watching!"

Once he'd got his bearings a little, he found the time to process Adelbert's questions.

"Ah, the furs?" he said. "Right you are. You want to do it now?" Pulling himself upright, he tried to shuffle Mannfred off his feet. The big tomcat hardly noticed, still engaged in an idle staring match with Stoutheart. "We can do it now, no trouble."

RossN
2014-03-02, 05:12 PM
Adelbert Schreiber

"Thank you Herr Krucke, I think we'd appreciate that." Adelbert said.

LCP
2014-03-02, 05:17 PM
"'Course," said Krucke, rubbing his hands together. He was wearing his gloves today, the fingerless ones that made him look even more like an old vagrant. "Let's go see Iosif, then... shall... we..."

"Whyyyy, of course," spat Elsa, forgetting her earlier comment about trying to keep things civilized . "Since I'm a woman, what's between my legs is the only interest anyone would possibly see in me, right? Have you spent so much time working around whores that you now see every woman as one, or are you just envious that I'm being invited at the court while you bounce for a brothel and dig for artifacts?"

He tailed off at the sight of the escalating fight between Sieghard and Elsa.

LeSwordfish
2014-03-02, 05:20 PM
Ludo gently sidestepped away from the argument, hoping the fact that it was his suggestion wouldn't arise.

It also hadn't occurred to him to be jealous before, although, thinking about it, he was now.

RossN
2014-03-02, 05:33 PM
Adelbert Schreiber

Adelbert do a deep breath, trying manfully to ignore the arguement behind him.

"The pelts Herr Krucke?" He hinted.

TheSummoner
2014-03-02, 05:34 PM
Sieghard

"Civil like when you crushed my foot? My apologies, signora" Sieghard said mockingly. "If Sforza is interested in the beautiful young lady's magic then it would be too good an opportunity to pass up. Remind me, bella mia, when did we see Sforza? Was he the surgeon?"

He used the same words he had heard Babaro say, not sure what they meant, but guessing from context that they were flattery. To Adelbert who actually spoke Tilean, his pronunciation was so bad it was almost painful.

"Grandfather Barbaro was drooling over you before he had any idea you were magic. Maybe Sforza would want your powers, but Barbaro only sees them as a good excuse to keep you close."

LCP
2014-03-02, 05:34 PM
"The pelts Herr Krucke?" He hinted.

"Right, right," said Krucke, a little hypnotised by the exchange. "Perhaps we should... leave them to it?"

RossN
2014-03-02, 05:44 PM
Adelbert Schreiber

Adelbert was secretly just as interested in the exchange himself but nodded. "Yes... uh Elsa, Sieghard you can follow on."

LCP
2014-03-02, 05:51 PM
Krucke shifted uncomfortably from foot to foot.

"I don't like leavin' 'em in my shop," he said. "They might make off with something."

RossN
2014-03-02, 05:54 PM
Adelbert Schreiber

"Sigmar wept." Adelbert muttered in frustration. He turned to the quarelling duo. "Do you think you can either settle this right now or keep quiet until later?"

-Sentinel-
2014-03-02, 05:55 PM
"Grandfather Barbaro was drooling over you before he had any idea you were magic. Maybe Sforza would want your powers, but Barbaro only sees them as a good excuse to keep you close."

Elsa closed in two quick steps the distance between herself and Sieghard and half-yelled, oblivious to all the spectators: "For one thing, unlike your whores I can handle myself just fine without you around. Just ask the last goblin chief we met... oh wait, he's dead. For another, I don't give a damn about Barbaro's motive, because I've never f***ed anyone I didn't want to f*** in the first place, and Barbaro sure as hell isn't any higher on that list than you, which is saying something. All that matters to me is the captain, what I can give him, and what he can give me. And lastly, I don't see why that'd be any of your business in any case. So let me deal with this, and if you try to sabotage my one chance at making someone out of myself, I swear to Sigmar I'll reach down your throat and set your insides on fire with my bare hand."

OOC: This is fun. :smallbiggrin:

LeSwordfish
2014-03-02, 06:12 PM
"For one thing, unlike your whores I can handle myself just fine without you around. Just ask the last goblin chief we met... oh wait, he's dead."

"Technically that was Viggo- ow! ow! There is no need to stand on my foot."

TheSummoner
2014-03-02, 06:14 PM
Sieghard

Sieghard raised his own voice in reply.

"Ha! You couldn't set fire to dry parchment!" he shouted back. "If you could, maybe Alvarr would've picked you over a peasant with a longbow. And it seemed like I was pretty damn high on your list a few weeks back, right after we hired Nuri. Almost seemed like you were begging for it. Just glad I decided it wasn't worth a week of scratching. But go ahead, deal with Barbaro. I'm sure the girls at the Serpent will be sad to lose their best customer."

OOC: Very! :smallbiggrin:

RossN
2014-03-02, 06:22 PM
Adelbert Schreiber

Adelbert gave up. Whatever else happened he clearly wasn't going to get the pelts seen right now.

Giving Krucke a resigned look he slipped away towards the ladder, decinding to ascend and continue to write until the two had settled their arguement and/or killed each other.

-Sentinel-
2014-03-02, 06:39 PM
Elsa was sorely tempted to show the mercenary what she could set fire to, but decided it was not worth the risk of burning down the building. "If you want no place on my list, then I don't see why you should care whether Barbaro's on it," she snarled. "Now, I know how hard it must be for a lonely man like you to work every night with whores you're not even allowed to f***, but it was your choice to content yourself with mediocrity. I came to the 'Prince in hopes of getting somewhere in life, and I'll let nobody stand in my way. If you got a problem with that, explain it to me, because right now you're not making a very convincing case."

TheSummoner
2014-03-02, 06:48 PM
Sieghard

Sieghard smirked. He lowered his voice to the edge of hearing.

"No, you came here because you ran away. You told me as much back in Alvarran. Killed a man and now you're so terrified of his ghost that you fled here like the scared little girl you are."

"Adelbert, the pelts!" he said, raising his voice again.

-Sentinel-
2014-03-02, 07:04 PM
Whatever Sieghard had told Elsa, it made her anger go from burning to ice-cold.

"So you know I can set fire to more than dry parchment," she said slowly, not raising her voice but not lowering it to the same tone as Sieghard's either. "You know how far I can go when I'm pushed, you know how little I have to lose, and you know I don't have a whole lot of options. I can either go so low that I become invisible... or move so high that I become untouchable. Well, I've already made my choice. Wasn't that hard to decide."

RossN
2014-03-02, 07:28 PM
Adelbert Schreiber

Adelbert returned, both surprised and relieved at the lack of fire. "I think we're ready to go Krucke. All of us."

-Sentinel-
2014-03-02, 08:24 PM
Elsa gave the scribe a sullen look, but nodded. "Sorry for the scene, Herr Krucke. Just a disagreement over career moves."

TheSummoner
2014-03-02, 08:56 PM
Sieghard

"I'm sorry too, Herr Krucke." Sieghard muttered, looking slightly abashed. It was bad enough that the fight has escalated so far, but the fact that Krucke had seen it made it all the worse.

Northern Lad
2014-03-03, 05:46 AM
Viggo Hirtzel

Viggo did not feel much better after Paulo's attentions, his wound still itched like fire, only now due to the compress and bandages he couldn't scratch it.

The young entertainer had for some reason felt very uncomfortable about the rising tension between Sieghard and Elsa. He couldn't help but agree with Sieghards estimation of Barbaro's intentions, but Viggo also knew that Elsa belonged in a court.

When the tension finally exploded into a raging argument inside Krucke's old rag shop Viggo had made for the exit, deciding to wait for the others outside.

LCP
2014-03-03, 04:55 PM
Krucke was now watching Elsa very carefully. Waiting until they had all left his shop, he locked the door firmly behind them, and led the way down the hill in silence.

Iosif the furrier was based in a cluster of low huts nestled on the southeast slope, some way downhill - and downwind - of the rest of town. The reason for this soon became apparent: it seemed he was a tanner as well, and the stink of the wooden vats in his yard was strong enough to burn the back of the throat.

Approaching the heavy wooden door of the largest shack, Krucke pounded continuously on it with his stick. After half a minute or so it swung open, and a big man with a bristly bush of a beard emerged from inside. His hands were slick, and he had an iron scouring blade in one of them. His clothes smelt of a long time spent in the trade.

"What d'you want, old man?" he rumbled. "I'm busy." Looking round at the newcomers, he laid eyes on the pelts. "By the jackal's teeth, where'd you get those?"

He spoke Reikspiel with the soft, guttural accent of the local people.

"Looking to sell?"

OOC: Roll Haggle to see how good a price you get.

I know Viggo wants to go and talk to his buddies at the Serpent, and that Ludo wants to go gossip-gathering. If I can get plans from the rest of you I can resolve the rest of this day quickly.

TheSummoner
2014-03-03, 05:18 PM
Sieghard

"We killed them. Might've brought the riders' hides too if we thought they'd be worth anything," Sieghard deadpanned.

Sieghard is planning to keep his pelt, though he might reconsider depending on the prices Iosif offers to buy them and charges to have them treated.

[roll0] vs 29 Haggle.
[roll1] Reroll if needed.

Ouch those are some bad rolls.

LCP
2014-03-03, 05:23 PM
Iosif cracked a lopsided smile, revealing a few gap teeth. "Greenskin leather?" he said. "Mhm. Maybe you could make boots. Not good boots."

Feeling one of the furs, he pursed his lips in an appraising expression. "I'll give you a crown and a half for each. Good deal, if you ask me."

OOC: If anyone wants to try to drive the price up, the party gets one more roll.

LeSwordfish
2014-03-04, 05:36 AM
"Come now, these are fine pelts." Ludo suggested. "I'm sure a man of your talents could get well over double for these, with only a little treatment."

His heart wasn't really in the discussion though- the smell was making him feel queasy, and the tannery yard was not a place conducive to bare feet.

LCP
2014-03-04, 06:00 AM
"Aye, once they're cleaned up," said Iosif. "That's hard work, you know."

He looked at Ludo curiously. "Who are you people, anyway? Little fellow like you, out gutting wolves?"

The two of them fell to dickering, and Ludo managed to drive the furrier's price up to two crowns a hide. Past that, Iosif would not go.

RossN
2014-03-04, 06:18 AM
Adelbert Schreiber

"Two crowns sounds fine." Adelbert said. He too was starting to suffer from the odours of the tannery and wished to beat a quick retreat.

TheSummoner
2014-03-04, 08:23 AM
Sieghard

"I'm tempted to keep mine. How much to have you prepare it?"

------

Later

After their business with Iosif was finished, Sieghard made his way to the Serpent. He needed to let Filomena know that he had returned and was curious if he had missed anything in his absence. The day's events had only added to his questions. When he arrived, he asked where he could find Reena.

LCP
2014-03-04, 09:34 AM
Iosif did some counting on his fingers. It didn't take him that long to arrive at a number, but it was still longer than Sieghard would have liked in his current mood.

“They're big pieces,” he said, deliberating. “A crown for a rug, I'd say, and another twelve pieces of silver for a cloak.”

Sieghard at the Serpent

Sieghard's injuries and the forced march back up the pass were telling on him more than he would have liked to let on. By the time he'd trudged back up the slope into the heart of Mirino, all his aches and pains had returned – and his words with Elsa were still revolving inside his head.

The inside of the Serpent was blessedly cool and quiet. He had hardly stepped over the doorway, however, when he felt a huge hand touch him lightly on the shoulder. Looking round, he saw Pietro's silent face looking back at him. By means of a gesture and the look on his face, the mute bouncer made it clear to his colleague that Filomena wanted to see him.

Filomena was waiting upstairs, in the counting room that Sieghard had never before been allowed inside. Unlike the rest of the brothel, its furnishings were bare and sparse. Somehow Sieghard didn't feel his presence there was a privilege.

“Good afternoon, Sieghard,” said Filomena. She was counting big Tilean lire into a neat stack. “Sit down”.

The only other seat in the room was a stool that would have been small for Ludo. Looking around, Sieghard immediately noticed the wolf's tooth he had given to Viggo sitting off to the left side of the desk.

Taking her eyes away from the money, Filomena looked up and met his. “So you are back,” she said, her voice honey dripping off a dagger. “You had a good journey?”

TheSummoner
2014-03-04, 09:39 AM
Sieghard

"And if I just want the pelt cleaned? Not made into anything. Haven't decided what I'm going to use it for yet."

------

At the Serpent

Sieghard sat, a just bit uncomfortable and not only because of his injuries or the size of his seat.

"Eventful. Not sure if I would call it good, though it certainly could've gone worse."

LCP
2014-03-04, 09:57 AM
"And if I just want the pelt cleaned? Not made into anything. Haven't decided what I'm going to use it for yet."

“Just washed clean?” said Iosif. “Can do that for a few coppers. Won't stop it rotting, though.”

Sieghard at the Serpent.

"Eventful. Not sure if I would call it good, though it certainly could've gone worse."

Filomena held her gaze without blinking, long enough to make Sieghard think that maybe there was more to the Serpent's name than just innuendo.

“So I have heard,” she said. She let the matter lie in a heavy silence before continuing.

“If you remember,” she said, “you sent the singer to speak with me before you left. He told me you would need time off, and I told him that the two of you would have to owe me the hours you missed. He agreed to owe me your week as well as his.”

Picking up the coins, she deposited them into a box, which she shut with a snap.

“Viggo is no longer working here, so that arrangement is no longer acceptable.”

RossN
2014-03-04, 10:56 AM
Adelbert Schreiber

Adelbert looked thoughtful, scratching his chin as he looked at the pelts. "I think I'd like mine turned into a cloak if you please."

TheSummoner
2014-03-04, 11:27 AM
Sieghard

"Cleaned, scraped, cured, whatever it is you do to ready it," Sieghard replied, irritated. "Already have a good cloak and I wouldn't have anywhere to put a rug. I'll have something done with it later, I just haven't decided what yet."

------

At the Serpent

Sieghard did his best to match Filomena's gaze. Admittedly, she had more practice than he did.

"So you're saying I owe you for a few days you didn't pay me for? Is that the gist of it? And what exactly would you call an acceptable arrangement?"

LCP
2014-03-04, 11:40 AM
"Cleaned, scraped, cured, whatever it is you do to ready it," Sieghard replied, irritated. "Already have a good cloak and I wouldn't have anywhere to put a rug. I'll have something done with it later, I just haven't decided what yet."

Iosif shrugged his shoulders. "Sounds like a rug to me," he said. "Not my business whether you put it on the floor or not."

He looked from Sieghard to Adelbert. "That'd be a crown from each of you then, and twelve schillings extra for the cloak."

Sieghard

"For an absence I was told of the day before you left, yes," said Filomena, still very calm. "That is... the gist of it." She said the last four words slowly, clearly unfamiliar with the phrase.

"An acceptable arrangement would be that you take back the days your friend volunteered to take. You will work this week without pay. After that, we return to normal. We are agreed?"

She turned back to her counting, this time tipping a pouch of copper pieces out onto the table. She seemed to consider the conversation to be over.

RossN
2014-03-04, 11:48 AM
Adelbert Schreiber

The scribe handed over the money (for his pelt) and smiled. "Of course we'll let you know if we go wolf hunting again."

LeSwordfish
2014-03-04, 11:51 AM
"If we're really unlucky we might be able to ask for a bulk discount."

TheSummoner
2014-03-04, 12:23 PM
Sieghard

Sieghard dug for a crown and handed it to Iosif. He couldn't help but regret having been unable to take down the second wolf as it fled.

Serpent

"You ask too much." Perhaps she considered the matter settled, but Sieghard didn't. "I was gone four days. If it'll make you happy, I'll give you four days, but a week is unreasonable."

Would a haggle roll be appropriate/necessary?

LCP
2014-03-04, 12:31 PM
Sieghard At The Serpent

"Four days," said Filomena. He wasn't sure if she was agreeing with him or just repeating what he said. "And if your friend the minstrel comes back, you will eject him immediately."

RossN
2014-03-04, 12:42 PM
Adelbert Schreiber

With little else to do for evening Adelbert left for the Chalice to get lunch and something to drink. Anyone not currently needed at work was more than welcome to go with him.

TheSummoner
2014-03-04, 12:42 PM
Happy Serpent

"Agreed."

He didn't know what Viggo had done to anger Filomena, and even though he wondered, he knew she was probably the worst person to ask. As he saw it, if Viggo was foolish enough to return, he was going to be chased off regardless. If he was the one doing it rather than Pietro, Viggo might even be allowed to keep his teeth.

(Assuming Filomena has nothing more to say,) Sieghard left the room to seek out friendlier conversation.

LCP
2014-03-04, 12:55 PM
Sieghard at the Serpent

Filomena let Sieghard escape with no further injury. With no prospect of conversation from Pietro, he headed downstairs, and found Reena mopping the floors around the back of the building.

TheSummoner
2014-03-04, 01:45 PM
Happy Serpent

"Don't you think the floors are clean enough? I doubt the men coming here spend much time looking at them anyways," he said to get Reena's attention.

"I'm back from my trip. Feel like taking a little break to hear about it?"

LCP
2014-03-04, 02:52 PM
The Happy Serpent (Sieghard)

Reena gave a start when Sieghard spoke. Turning to see him, she seemed a little defensive.

"Filomena wants them clean," she said. Even among the young girls like Reena, it was always just "Filomena" - never an honorific.

Though she seemed bent on carrying out her duty, Sieghard knew that there were many hours left in the day for Reena to finish the floor. By the expression on her face, she couldn't help but be curious. "Your trip to Caerfort?" she asked.

The Gilded Chalice (Adelbert, Ludo, others)

The Chalice was busier than it was most days at noon - but then this was Festag, after all. Adelbert welcomed the chance to rest his aching bruises.

Ludo, meanwhile, had a more purposeful bent. Greeting the tavern's more familiar customers, he set about extracting every piece of information he could about the ruins in the swamp.

Finding a guide through the swamp: You'd have to look outside Last Water. Nobody here makes a living off the Mere, it's too far. You might try the villagers at Ravenskird or Caerfort.

Information on the swamps: The Mere is renowned for being treacherous. The River Azril divides into dozens of channels, which silt up so rapidly that they're liable to shift and change course in a matter of months. What was firm ground one week can become quicksand the next.

Generally the people who make a living on the edges of the Mere are poor and backward. There's talk of goblins on the border between the Mere and the Giant's Teeth, but they don't seem to pose much threat to the surrounding human settlements - not like the greenskins in the southern hills.

Information on the ruins: The ruins are the subject of many local legends, being easily visible from the road. None of the stories Ludo hears are consistent, but they have some common threads:
Nobody knows who built the ruins - they were there (and in ruins) before the Crusaders came.
Some people say that the Mere used to be a fertile floodplain, and the ruins are all that is left of a great city that was drowned by the rising waters.
Even after all this time, you can still find ancient weapons and broken pottery in the surrounding marshes. Some people even say they've found the skeletons of men and orcs.

The Thief of Al-Haikk: He passed through Mirino some time back, saying he had a treasure map was going to come back from the ruins laden down with gold. He dressed very finely for a self-professed thief, and Marek was of the opinion it was all an act. He never came back, and died without settling his debts in town. If you can find him, he owes Marek four crowns.

TheSummoner
2014-03-04, 03:41 PM
Happy Serpent

"Filomena wants a lot of things," Sieghard muttered.

He started retelling a less-exaggerated version of the tale he had told the night before. He explained that they had been looking for something left over from the crusades, told her about the tower and chapel they had found at Caerfort (leaving out the unpleasantness involving the knight's grave of course), and assured her that even though they found nothing he had an idea where they might have more luck next time. When he got to the part about the wolf riders attacking them, he reached into his bag.

"Oh, and before I forget... I brought back something for you and a few of the other girls." He held out the wolf teeth for her to see. "You can have one if you want, go ahead and take your pick. Also got a nice pelt from the beast, though it's being cured right now. Soon as I get it back, I'll show you that too."

LeSwordfish
2014-03-04, 03:57 PM
The Gilded Chalice
To Marek
"I'll see about collecting that debt." Ludo offered with a smile. "I'll get back to work with you this evening, if that's alright?"

Returning to the table with an ale, Ludo settled himself with the others. "Well. I'm heading out to those ruins soon. They're less than a day's walk away, so it should be possible to get there and back with only two evenings off. Marek can't complain about that, we're back from Caerfort early."

OOC: If the opportunity arises, Ludo would like a word alone with Viggo.

LCP
2014-03-04, 04:01 PM
The Happy Serpent

Sieghard saw Reena's eyes widen when he showed her the teeth. A wolf's fang wasn't exactly the ideal gift for a lady, but the size of the teeth spoke for the veracity of Sieghard's story. She tentatively took one, and thanked him for it.

OOC: If you like, you can roll Charm to see how much your claims of future riches impress Reena.

RossN
2014-03-04, 04:07 PM
The Gilded Chalice

Adelbert had been nursing his own ale and feeling increasingly certain his healer had been useless when Ludo announced his plans. The scribe gave him an astonished look.

"Are you mad? Most of us are too badly injured to even think about moving for two weeks - at best. Are you thinking of going alone?"

-Sentinel-
2014-03-04, 04:33 PM
Chalice

Elsa ordered an ale, to which she added some spirits from her bottle.

"Got to agree with Adelbert here, Ludo, most of us aren't in any state to travel far. Plus, I wouldn't want to miss my very important meeting. I'm sure the ruins aren't going away any time soon."

TheSummoner
2014-03-04, 04:39 PM
Happy Serpent

Sieghard couldn't help but feel some satisfaction at Reena's reaction. Clearly she had better taste for stories than the Chalice's patrons. Unbidden, Elsa's words came back to him.

I know how hard it must be for a lonely man like you to work every night with whores you're not even allowed to f***

He shook his head in frustration, trying to banish the thought as quickly as it had appeared and silently cursing the witch. Reena was pretty and treated him kindly, but after the business with the Estellian, the last thing he wanted was for her to feel like she owed him anything... Or think that he thought she did either for that matter.

Hoping she had been too distracted by the gift to see anything, he changed the subject. "Did anything interesting happen here while I was away?"

Impress? I suppose that would be ok. Sieghard isn't trying to seduce her or anything like that for the reasons above. A different girl from the Serpent (or if she made the first move I suppose) might be a different matter, but it already seems like she's doing a lot for him over something he doesn't consider a big deal.

[roll0] vs 29/2 = 15
[roll1] - Reroll is better, but since Sieghard's untrained charm isn't very good, I think I probably would've kept the original unless there are no differences based on degrees of failure.

LCP
2014-03-04, 04:50 PM
The Happy Serpent

"Oh, no," chattered Reena happily. She was still turning the tooth over in her hands, feeling the dimples in its yellow roots. "It is the same as ever." She paused, something striking her. "Except... I think your friend is in trouble. I heard Filomena shouting at him."

TheSummoner
2014-03-04, 04:58 PM
Happy Serpent

"Yeah... I saw Pietro chasing him out when I came to find him earlier. He's not going to be working here anymore. Did you just hear shouting or could you make out what she was saying? I've been wondering what that was about."

LCP
2014-03-04, 04:59 PM
Happy Serpent

Reena shook her head. "I didn't want to get too close," she said. "Something about... knowing his place." She shrugged. "I think he insulted her somehow."

TheSummoner
2014-03-04, 05:09 PM
Happy Serpent

Sieghard smirked. "I wouldn't want to get too close to her either if she was shouting. That glare of hers is bad enough."

He paused for a bit, his thoughts clearly on something else. "You've been around here far longer than I have... I don't suppose you know anything about the priest, Barbaro, do you?"

LCP
2014-03-04, 05:12 PM
The Happy Serpent

"The Captain's man?" Reena suddenly seemed wary. Still, she apparently considered Sieghard friend enough to continue. "...No. He likes the Arabyans. He doesn't talk to us." She paused. "He hardly comes here at all. Most times... they go to him."

TheSummoner
2014-03-04, 05:20 PM
Happy Serpent

"Oh... I didn't mean that... Not necessarily that anyways." Seeing that the question made her uncomfortable, he tried to give her enough of an explanation to (hopefully) put her at ease without saying too much. "It's just that a friend of mine has skills that caught his attention. Something about him just seems a bit off, so I was hoping to put my worries to rest."

Edit for OOC clarification: Sieghard meant "Mirino and Last Water" not "The Serpent" when he said she's been around here. He wasn't referring specifically to Barbaro's preferences in women, though it's a perfectly understandable misinterpretation and Sieghard does consider that useful information.

Northern Lad
2014-03-04, 05:22 PM
The Gilded Chalice

Viggo had meant to speak to Sieghard about the lessons that he had promised him the night before, but when he realised that the dour mercenary was heading in the direction of the Serpent he decided to join the others in an ale.

When he thought the innkeeper had a spare moment he approached Marek. "Good afternoon Marek, you might have heard that I've been playing the Serpent for the last couple of weeks?" He rushed on not giving the man a chance to answer. "Well, truth be told I find the setting a little... distasteful. I was wondering if I could play here instead? Not for pay mind. I'd be happy with just a couple of meals a day and a space in your common room of a night. Filomena was happy with my playing and you yourself know I'm a capable performer."

"I wouldn't want to miss my very important meeting. I'm sure the ruins aren't going away any time soon."

Viggo snorted and repeated her statement doing his best to mimic Elsa's voice emphasising the snooty Altdorf accent that she always tried to hide. Whether the others were amused at his impersonation or not didn't seem to matter to Viggo as he chuckled heartily at his own efforts.

OOC:

LeSwordfish - Feel free to engineer a moment for Ludo to speak to Viggo alone.

Charm Test Marek:
Fel 38 - [roll0]
Re-roll - [roll1]

RossN
2014-03-04, 05:38 PM
The Gilded Chalice

Taking another sip of his ale Adelbert turned to Elsa. His expression was a little nervous over what he was about to say.

"I, uh, think I can smoothe things over with Krucke Elsa if you still need a place to stay... you know, just until you run into some coin."

LeSwordfish
2014-03-04, 05:50 PM
Nary a Merc
Ludo threw up his hands "No! No! Not immediately. In another few weeks, maybe. For now... yes, rest, recuperate."

"In another few weeks" hadn't been the plan, but he liked to think of himself as adaptable.

As Viggo spoke to Marek, Ludo made a vague excuse and left the table.

Viggo (Probably Timesplit?)
As the two finished their conversation, Ludo sidled up to Viggo's elbow.

"Out of curiosity, what did happen back at the serpent?" Ludo asked. "Don't worry, I won't tell the others. Even if it's funny."

He paused.

"I won't laugh, either."

Northern Lad
2014-03-04, 06:22 PM
The Chalice

Viggo found himself nodding along with Ludo, at first the idea of leaving Mirino so soon after their ordeal had seemed like madness. After their interview with the Old Goat that morning he felt a little more positive about keeping up the search though. A little

"Ludo is right, the ruins aren't so far away and besides they might actually turn out to be a sight less dangerous then the Caerfort road." He took a swig of his ale and smirked at Adelbert. "She'll soon be getting used to silk sheets and feather pillows again no doubt eh Elsa?"

Ludo Timesplit

Viggo looked down at the diminutive Halfling, suspicious that Ludo might just be looking to poke fun at him. No, he's not Elsa or Rock Face is he?

Viggo took a deep breath and kept his voice low, keeping an eye out to make sure nobody was close enough to overhear. "I'm a bloody fool is what happened Ludo. I.. I.. Ever since the fight." For once in his life Viggo was struggling to express himself. "Well, I thought I was going to die. I would have died.. a boy." He paused to see if Ludo caught his drift.

"I spent all last night thinking of a way to remedy that. This morning I attempted to... errr.. well...errr.. seduce Filomena. You remember her right? The one with eyes that could drill a hole through a wall?" He shook his head as he spoke. Speaking of it out loud made him realise just what a startling bad idea that had been.

"Suffice to say she was less then happy with the proposition. Crazy bloody Tilean! She reckons that I'm not good enough for her. 'I'm your Master' she screamed, can you believe that? Gave me a wallop for my troubles and had that great ape Pietro chase me out. There. That's it. Curiosity satisfied?" He eyed Ludo looking for any sign of mirth, he felt the corners of his mouth rising despite himself. I suppose it is bloody funny after all!

LCP
2014-03-04, 06:48 PM
The Gilded Chalice

"Good afternoon Marek, you might have heard that I've been playing the Serpent for the last couple of weeks?" He rushed on not giving the man a chance to answer. "Well, truth be told I find the setting a little... distasteful. I was wondering if I could play here instead? Not for pay mind. I'd be happy with just a couple of meals a day and a space in your common room of a night. Filomena was happy with my playing and you yourself know I'm a capable performer."

Marek scrunched up his face into what Ludo now instantly recognised as his doubtful expression.

"You weren't too popular last time you played here," he said, prevaricating. He hadn't said 'no' yet, which was something. "You left the Serpent on good terms? That's not a woman I'd like to cross."

The Happy Serpent

Reena shook her head. "He's one of the captain's court. None of the common people see him much." She shrugged. "Sometimes the soldiers here talk about him. The Tileans seem to like him."

TheSummoner
2014-03-04, 07:03 PM
Happy Serpent

Sieghard shrugged. "And the Estellians don't... Or atleast that's what I've heard. Member of the Captain's court or not, you'd think a priest would be a more public figure."

"No matter, there's probably nothing to worry about," He said, not believing a word of it. "I'll let you get back to your work before Filomena sees you've dropped your mop. It's been nice talking with you."

As he started walking away, he paused and added. "If you do happen to hear anything, it'd mean a lot if you'd let me know."

LCP
2014-03-04, 07:06 PM
The Happy Serpent

Sieghard's words seemed to surprise Reena. "It's been nice talking to you" was probably not a phrase she heard a lot.

"Um... alright," she said, pocketing the tooth and picking up her mop. "Thank you! I will."

-Sentinel-
2014-03-04, 08:11 PM
Chalice

Viggo snorted and repeated [Elsa's] statement doing his best to mimic Elsa's voice emphasising the snooty Altdorf accent that she always tried to hide.
Thankfully for Viggo, Adelbert was there to quickly change the subject: "I, uh, think I can smoothe things over with Krucke Elsa if you still need a place to stay... you know, just until you run into some coin."

Elsa pursed her lips. "Oh, right. He heard the whole thing, didn't he? Well, thank you if you succeed. Or even if you don't. If Sforza needs a wizard as badly as Barbaro says, I'm sure he'll want me to have a nice and safe place to sleep."

"She'll soon be getting used to silk sheets and feather pillows again no doubt eh Elsa?" said the halfling.

"One can hope. Of course, this won't come free... but nothing does, anyway."

RossN
2014-03-04, 08:15 PM
The Gilded Chalice

Adelbert tried not to look jealous and largely suceeded. Scribes were not quite as in demand in the Reaches as wizardesses.

""Well, anyway as I said I'll bring Krucke around if you need it. So did you learn anything else from Barbaro? Any court gossip already?"

-Sentinel-
2014-03-04, 08:35 PM
Chalice

"I'm afraid not. Barbaro says he'll get me prepared before he takes me to the Captain, so I suppose I'll learn a bit about who does what at the court."

RossN
2014-03-04, 08:40 PM
The Gilded Chalice

Adelbert grinned ruefully as a thought struck him: "Think you'd make a good entrance at court in a giant wolf fur cloak? After all you'll be wanting to impress. Well if I can provide any help I will."

-Sentinel-
2014-03-05, 12:33 AM
Chalice

Elsa laughed. "I really appreciate the offer, but I don't think Barbaro will stand for it, and right now he's my key to the castle. He's planning to dress me up himself, in fact. He did agree not to pick something too ladylike, but a wolfskin might be pushing it a little."

She might look good in furs, though. Just like Kelda Wave-Born. Again she wondered if she had not missed an opportunity, back there in the hills, by choosing to go on her way instead of taking up Kelda's offer. At least, if service under Sforza did not work out she always had another option open.

RossN
2014-03-05, 06:13 AM
The Gilded Chalice

Adelbert strongly suspected Elsa would have to either undergo a bath at Barbaro's instruction or at least douse herself in perfume to hide her lack of same but he didn't mention that.

"Well if you need an interpreter to come along I'm available. I admit I didn't care for Barbaro but I'm relatively sure I could meet him without relying on the universal language of the fist." Adelbert said, laughing. "I could probably introduce you to Al-Makir if you want."

-Sentinel-
2014-03-05, 01:56 PM
Chalice

"If you want to come along, you're welcome, Adelbert. I'm not sure I trust Barbaro to translate for me, and I also wouldn't want him and the Captain to exchange secrets in Tilean right in front of me." Elsa finished her ale. "I'll get around to learning the language sooner or later, if it turns out it's worth my time."

RossN
2014-03-05, 02:03 PM
Chalice

"Scribe, author, wolf-slayer, interpreter... there is no end to my talents." Adelbert said, laughing. "Its a deal Elsa."

LeSwordfish
2014-03-05, 02:16 PM
Chalice
"I can personally vouch for the lad." Ludo offered. "And i'm sure that madam Filomena would be happy that he's found work elsewhere."

OOC: If Viggo is Charming, consider this an Assist.

Timesplit
Ludo patted Viggo reassuringly on the elbow, keeping his face straight. "I thought as much. Don't be disheartened, lad, there are plenty of fish in the sea. It's not your fault you chose literally the only one not seduced by a handsome face and a way with the lute."

LCP
2014-03-06, 12:37 PM
The Chalice

Marek still looked skeptical, but Ludo's good opinion seemed to count for something. "Alright," he said, grudgingly. "You can play your flute and sleep in the hall. I'm not feeding you, though."

OOC: If Adelbert and/or Ludo want to proceed to persuading Krucke about Elsa, please go right ahead.

Northern Lad
2014-03-06, 01:09 PM
The Chalice

Viggo huffed mournfully at Marek, but accepted his offer nevertheless. Hopefully I might make enough tips to fill my belly. Once the burly innkeeper had left to attend to a customer he turned and looked down at Ludo. "My thanks Ludo. That could have been...awkward."

Ludo Timesplit

Viggo allowed himself to smile at Ludo's kind words and despite his earlier misgivings, now that he'd spoken of it to another, he could see the humour in the situation. "Well I could have chosen worse I suppose. Pietro or perhaps one of the Capitano's Ogres might have also reacted poorly to my advances?" Viggo paused and then grinned at the Halfling. "Thank you again Ludo, I appreciate your kind words and friendship. The others, I think, would not be in a rush to let me forget my stupidity in a hurry!"

RossN
2014-03-07, 02:47 PM
Chalice

Finishing his ale Adelbert departed to put Elsa's case to Krucke and hopefully win her the right to continue residing in the loft.

Upon entering he went straight to the haberdasher. "Herr Krucke I realise the scene earlier might have left you ill at ease but I assure you Fraulein Holt is no danger to you or me or anyone for that matter. I intend to let her continue sleeping in the loft I rent from you. She is a friend of mine with little money in the world and it is the least I can do, but I do understand any concerns you might have had and wanted to put them to rest."

He allowed these words to sink in before continuing. "I doubt she will stay long in any case; as you may have heard she is moving up in the world."

LCP
2014-03-07, 05:47 PM
Krucke's

"Oh you intend to, do you?" said Krucke, pulling himself up from out of his chair and emerging from the shadows under the staircase. "Understand my concerns, do you? No danger, is she?"

He paused, realising he had run out of rhetorical questions.

"She's a witch!" he shouted instead. "I heard her, right here in my shop, threatening to set that feller on fire." Brandishing his stick for emphasis, he clipped a shelf, and Mandred slunk out from behind it, fixing his lazy yellow eyes on Adelbert. "These Tileans and border savages, might not care, but I do! I'm a Sigmar-fearing man, and I don't have no truck with enchantresses."

Shifting his grip on the stick, he pointed it aggressively at Adelbert's chest.

"No more sub-lettin'. I won't have her in the house. Nor none of the rest of 'em either, if they're going to bring trouble like that with 'em." He glowered at Adelbert from under his bushy eyebrows, the stick trembling a little in his old hands. "Now you can lump it, or you can take your fancy sign and go."

LeSwordfish
2014-03-07, 06:20 PM
Viggo
"Next time a young lady catches your eye, let me know- perhaps I can be of assistance. I still owe you for your help in Sermena." Ludo offered, returning to the others.

Krucke's
"Well..." Ludo said thoughtfully. "That's one way to think of it, true. You've got to protect your building, I suppose... There are other ways to look at it, though. For one thing, both Madam Holt and Herr Schreiber are being professionally courted by the duke's court. You could, here and now, do a massive favour to Capitano Sforza's personal witch and newest scribe. A favour owed is a golden currency, as my father used to say. So yes, that's another way to look at it."

He scratched his nose thoughtfully and shrugged. "Also, of course, Herr Schreiber trusts her, and he makes his money through papers- he has as much to lose as you. More, if Herr Al-Makir loses anything in the blaze. And we saw her lose her temper this morning, and she didn't even start to smoke. One could say that the worst has passed without event..."

OOC
Fel, don't fail me now. [roll0] vs 47, fate-pointed with [roll1]

LCP
2014-03-07, 06:29 PM
Krucke's

Krucke opened his mouth to snap back a retort - but then he seemed to actually think about Ludo had said. The familiar glimmer of avarice woke in the old man's eyes.

"Sforza's favour don't mean spit to me," he said with a grudging sniff. His tone had become markedly less hysterical. "Leave well alone, that's Krucke's motto. So don't you think you can win me over with all these airs and graces." He wagged a finger at Ludo, taking a moment or two to think of what he was going to say next.

"If she's so lucky in her friends, she can pay rent for herself," he seemed to decide at last. "After all, I only agreed to rent it to you, didn't I? Double the lodgers, stands to reason I should get double." He nodded to himself. "And if there's so much as a spark of magic under my roof, she's out on her ear."

RossN
2014-03-07, 06:50 PM
Krucke's

Adelbert's expression had turned angry and he shot the older man a look of scorn. "It's Handrich not Sigmar you serve." The scribe grumbled not quite under his breath.

Nevertheless he reached for his purse and pulled out a schilling stamped with the noble bearing of the Emperor Luitpold. He glanced at it for a moment before handing it over. "There you go, one week's rent for Fraulein Holt." He grimaced and then said. "And I'll tell her no magic."

LCP
2014-03-08, 06:01 PM
Krucke

Krucke took the money greedily, his objections all but forgotten. He just barely remembered to put his grumpy face back on as Adelbert turned to leave. "Well... right," he said, nodding. "You tell her."

The four of them reassembled back at the Chalice for long enough to hear Viggo's rather dispirited attempt at flute-playing. His reception at the tavern didn't seem any warmer than the last time, and soon enough he had to pick up his empty cap before people started throwing things. It seemed the kind of music that was good for masking the goings-on in neighbouring rooms at the Serpent didn't quite fit the atmosphere of the Chalice's common hall.

Sloping off back towards Krucke's with Elsa in tow, Adelbert left the other two in the care of Marek.

Wellentag 8th Jahrdrung

Adelbert woke early to the now-familiar sound of Krucke banging on the ceiling with a broom.

"Visitors!" the old man called up, his cantankerous mood seeming to have returned. Making himself marginally presentable and descending downstairs, Adelbert found Abdul's man Rakim waiting with four other Arabyan soldiers. Between them, they were carrying two small but heavy-looking chests.

"I bring papers," said Rahim, in Reikspiel it seemed like he might have been practicing beforehand. "Where do you want?"

RossN
2014-03-08, 06:13 PM
Adelbert Schreiber

No breakfast today... Adelbert thought sourly. He sighed and pointed to the ladder leading up to the loft. "Up here if you please; pay no attention to the redhead."

Yes it was going to be a long morning.

LCP
2014-03-08, 06:16 PM
Nodding, Rahim gestured to his men. With grunts of exertion, they heaved the boxes upstairs, and set them down on the floor.

Producing an iron key, Rahim unlocked each in turn. Open, they proved to be bursting with rolls and sheafs of parchment, stuffed in any old how. Each was so full that the documents seemed to be trying to spill over the edges of the box.

"You copy," said Rahim, handing Adelbert. "Is good?"

RossN
2014-03-08, 06:20 PM
Adelbert Schreiber

Adelbert's eyes widened at the sight (that was a lot more than he had expected). Still at least he knew how to do this even if the workload was heavy. Maybe Elsa could help, at least til she got her summons.

"Good yes. I will start now. Later today bring me more parchment and ink."

LCP
2014-03-08, 06:25 PM
"More... ink," said Rahim, taking his time to make sense of the words. At last, he gave a small nod. Adelbert wasn't sure if it was one of agreement. "I ask Abdul."

Turning to the other men, he spoke to them briefly in his own language. Murmuring a little among themselves, they turned to leave.

RossN
2014-03-08, 06:29 PM
Adelbert Schreiber

Smiling ruefully Adelbert turned to the first chest and carefully began to remove the contents, skimming them with practiced eyes so he could organise them into appropriate piles on the loft floor. He planned to work his way through via subject and to know what he had to do before doing it.

-Sentinel-
2014-03-08, 07:08 PM
Elsabeth Holt

Elsa awoke to an unusual but pleasant lack of a hangover, having shown remarkable self-restraint in drinking only one ale (fortified with brandy) the night before. She could not afford to be tired, red-eyed and cranky when she could be summoned before the Captain any time.

"I'll help you with the job if I can," she offered Adelbert. She needed something to keep her mind busy, lest she turn into a bundle of nerves.

RossN
2014-03-08, 07:16 PM
Adelbert Schreiber

"Thank you Elsa; you start working on the other chest." Adelbert said, shooting a thankful smile at his friend. "Glad to have you with me."

TheSummoner
2014-03-08, 07:38 PM
Sieghard

Sieghard made his way to the Chalice for breakfast. His mood had improved since the day before, but their meeting with Barbaro still weighed heavily on his mind. When he saw Viggo, he lifted his head from his meal and muttered.

"Probably goes without saying, but don't go anywhere near the Serpent from now on."

LeSwordfish
2014-03-09, 09:23 AM
The Chalice
Ludo looked from one man to another. "She's still angry, then?"

He refrained from further comment, for Viggo's sake and because Stoutheart was whining at his ankle.

LCP
2014-03-09, 09:48 AM
Adelbert, Elsa, anyone who drops by

It was around midday that there came another thumping from under the floor. Adelbert was immersed in the business of copying the papers, and the disturbance coupled with the lack of breakfast was enough to irritate him quite a bit. What annoyed him even more was when he saw who the visitor was - he had no desire to renew his acquaintance with Daniele Barbaro. But then the priest wasn't here for him.

"Bongiorno, Signora Elsa." Although his greeting was effusive as ever, he couldn't quite hide his disdain for Krucke's rag-shop. "Now is a good time to discuss the things we spoke of before, yes?"

Elsa noticed he was carrying a leather bag over his shoulder - perhaps containing the clothes he had promised her. The priest's attention, however, had turned to Adelbert. He couldn't have been anticipating that the scribe would be there - although the sign outside should have made it clear enough.

"Perhaps... in private?"

Secret Adelbert Stuff
The largest part of Al-Makir's documents are written in Tilean. There is little chance of Elsa understanding them, although that does increase the risk of her mis-transcribing them.

So far, the documents Adelbert has copied have mainly been bills and contracts related to supplies for the Captain's army. They don't tell him anything of vital importance... but collated, they would give a detailed picture of both the military force Sforza is maintaining, and its supply chain.

Sieghard (after leaving the Chalice)

Once he had left the tavern, Sieghard set about his business in town. Speaking to the locals for preference over Sforza's soldiers with their strange tongues, he began to make discreet enquiries about the priestly situation in Last Water.

"Well... around Mirino before the Captain came, there was a fellow called Red Nicu. Called himself priest of Gunndred, but really all he was was a robber. Used to go round threatening people with a noose. Sforza's men hanged him from the cliffs over the pass when they caught him."

"I heard the halflings over in Sermena have got their own gods... gods they brought down from the north, aye? They must be strange gods, to listen to halflings."

"There's a woman down in Isolici, used to be a village elder of sorts. Kept a shrine, knew all sorts of things. She left when Sforza took over, though. I heard tell she's living out in the wild now. Practically a hermit."

"The farmsteaders out on the east slopes, they're all their own priests. Have to be - no-one else but the gods'll listen when you make your home that close to greenskin country."

When he turned the topic of conversation to the Mere, he found the townspeople just as forthcoming - particularly when he told the tale of his battle on the road in exchange.

"There's goblins in the Mere too, you know. Miserable little things, not like those wolf riders you fought. They come out from under the Giant's Teeth. Too cowardly for a straight fight, but they make the north end a dangerous place after dark."

"It's a treacherous place. River splits a dozen different ways, and none of them stay the same one month to the next. Makes maps useless. Even the Caerfort people can't keep it straight in their heads all the time."

"My grandmother used to tell ghost stories about the Mere. Said the souls of all the men who had drowned trying to cross it were still trapped there, waiting to pull travellers down under the water." The old man he was talking to smiled a nostalgic smile as he reminisced. "She always told good stories."

Later, Sieghard managed to find a couple of Estalians who were interested in his daggers. He managed to a crown and two schillings for the pair - although the soldiers called it an excelente and two reals. Either way, the gold and silver seemed real enough.

OOC: Deduct yourself two fortune points for spent rerolls. We have time to spare while Elsa plays out her meeting with Barbaro, so if you want to distribute Sieghard's gifts give me a lead-in and we'll take it from there - I can't quite remember who else you said you'd give them to!

LeSwordfish
2014-03-09, 10:21 AM
Ludo, who had headed to Adelbert's after his breakfast, looked from Barbaro to Elsa to the bag and back. "I wasn't expecting it to be so soon. You're very... keen, signor."

RossN
2014-03-09, 12:41 PM
Krucke's loft Adelbert Schreiber & Associates; scriveners & calligraphers by appointment.

Faced with a mass of Tilean documents Adelbert had asked Elsa to focus mainly on sharpening his quills, keeping a supply of ink flowing and preparing parchment for writing.

"Bongiorno, Monsignor Barbaro." Adelbert said, icily polite. "Welcome to my shop."

Turning to Elsa he said: "I'm going for breakfast; I'll pick up a couple of pies for you while I'm out. Gutentag Monsignor Barbaro."

Doffing his hat (assuming he could fit it over the bandage he was still wearing.) The scribe departed for the market, intending to take a late breakfast in the Chalice then pick up food and drink for Elsa in the street market (with the number of Halflings in Last Water he could hardly fail to find a pie seller.)

-Sentinel-
2014-03-09, 12:48 PM
Elsabeth Holt

"Now is a good time to discuss the things we spoke of before, yes?"

Elsa perked up eagerly from the quill she was sharpening and greeted Barbaro with a broas smile. "Indeed. Where do we start?"

LCP
2014-03-09, 12:57 PM
Elsa & co.

Barbaro gave a strained smile.

"Perhaps if our friend the halfling could leave us for a few moments?" he said. "These are confidential matters."

TheSummoner
2014-03-09, 01:10 PM
Sieghard (At the Chalice)

Sieghard nodded.

"Furious, in that icy way of hers. If he's unlucky, Pietro will knock his teeth out. If I'm unlucky, she'll make me do it."

He turned back to Viggo.

"What did you do to offend her like that?"

LeSwordfish
2014-03-09, 01:23 PM
Schreiber & Co.
Ludo gave Elsa a sideways glance. He'd rather take her suggestion than Barbaro's.

-Sentinel-
2014-03-09, 01:38 PM
Elsabeth Holt

"You heard the man, Ludo. Please leave us," said Elsa with a touch of impatience, when the halfling did not immediately do as Barbaro told him.

LeSwordfish
2014-03-09, 01:42 PM
SchreiberCorp
"Oh, right, yes, of course, sorry." Ludo beat a hasty retreat, catching up with Adelbert outside Krucke's door.

LCP
2014-03-09, 02:28 PM
Elsa

Once Ludo had left, Barbaro unslung the bag from his shoulder and began to open it.

"Signora," he said, fiddling with the straps. "I promise you, in the service of the Captain, you will not have to stay in such rat-holes as this."

The clasp gave and he nearly dropped the bag. Inside was a dark red dress. It wasn't quite as practical as Elsa had been hoping - if she'd been wearing it on the road to Caerfort it would have been ruined in a day. Despite that, it was still a far sight from the kind of whalebone-buttressed contraption you might see in the courts of Altdorf and Nuln. Made from wine-red Tilean brocade and cut in a southern style, it wouldn't have looked out of place on a rich merchant's daughter.

"There is a woman who lives near the wall, Chiara. She will take it in for you if you pay her," he said, laying a gold crown on top of the dress. He looked around once again at his surroundings. "Make sure you do not get any of this ink on it. We must have you looking presentable for the captain." He sniffed. "Perhaps... perhaps you should bathe as well, signora. Some time soon."

Pulling up Adelbert's chair, he took a seat. He seemed very keen to get to business, and was soon counting off points on his fingers.

"It is very important that we choose the right time," he began. "You must be ready to drop everything and come to the palace as soon as I send the word. But before that, there are some things we must, ah, be straightening out."

The first thing he wanted to know was the nature of Elsa's involvement with Alvarr and his man Jager. "Make no mistake, signora, you must not be mentioning the duke when you are in the Captain's presence. Si, or his flag of the boar. In fact... do not be mentioning any kind of pig. It is for the best."

The second thing was the nature of Elsa's magic. "We must prepare something impressive to show the Captain. So tell me... what can you do?"

-Sentinel-
2014-03-09, 03:07 PM
Elsabeth Holt
The dress was not too far from what Elsa was used to wearing before joining the Bright Order. She could get used to this sort of clothing again, if she had to, as long as she was not expected to be wearing it on a day-to-day basis.

"Perhaps... perhaps you should bathe as well, signora. Some time soon."
Elsa managed not to scowl; she understood the court's standards were higher than most people's. Plus, it had been a while since she last washed her hair. "No problem at all."

"Make no mistake, signora, you must not be mentioning the duke when you are in the Captain's presence. Si, or his flag of the boar. In fact... do not be mentioning any kind of pig. It is for the best."
"I gathered that much about the Duke. Not that I'm planning to ever return there, what with the dreadful welcome I was given, but I won't mention it at all."

"We must prepare something impressive to show the Captain. So tell me... what can you do?"
This was the part Elsa dreaded; in spite of her ego, she was acutely aware of her limitations in terms of magic. "If I may be perfectly honest, I've only recently been released from the College," she said slowly. "I was one of the better duellists among the apprentices, but I can't guarantee I'm any match for the Mannanites' wizard. I can throw fireballs, and call up some impressive-looking effects of light and noise; cracks of thunder, booms of cannons, illusory flames, this sort of thing."

RossN
2014-03-09, 03:15 PM
Adelbert Schreiber + Ludo

Adelbert was still fuming by the time Ludo caught up with him, though he looked glad of the company. "I wish I'd thought to lock the chests before I went - I'm not happy about Barbaro knowing more about my work than he has to, even if it is just a lot of tax documents."

The scribe sighed and gave the Halfling a rueful smile. "Off to the Chalice for a late breakfast I suppose, or early lunch depending on your hourglass. Have you already eaten? Even if you have I'd appreciate the company."

LCP
2014-03-09, 03:20 PM
Elsa

"I gathered that much about the Duke. Not that I'm planning to ever return there, what with the dreadful welcome I was given, but I won't mention it at all."

"What welcome was this?" asked Barbaro, alert to every word. "For your sake, I must know all the details."

This was the part Elsa dreaded; in spite of her ego, she was acutely aware of her limitations in terms of magic. "If I may be perfectly honest, I've only recently been released from the College," she said slowly. "I was one of the better duellists among the apprentices, but I can't guarantee I'm any match for the Mannanites' wizard. I can throw fireballs, and call up some impressive-looking effects of light and noise; cracks of thunder, booms of cannons, illusory flames, this sort of thing."

Surprisingly, Barbaro didn't seem too bothered by this. He gave an easy-going shrug. "Sometimes, it is the look of a thing that matters more. If you can put on a show... then who are the common people to say who is better than who?" He gave his goatish grin. "When they tell their stories, they will repeat what we tell them, no?"

"Still, we must have a demonstration for the Captain, to prove you are genuine. What do could you do best?"

-Sentinel-
2014-03-09, 03:44 PM
Elsa

"What welcome was this?" asked Barbaro, alert to every word. "For your sake, I must know all the details."
"One of the Duke's men, a brute called Jager, had me arrested on false charges of spying and witchcraft," said Elsa, still angry at the memory. "Might have something to do with how I objected to his dreadful treatment of his people. I ended up in front of the Duke, who was thankfully a bit less hostile but decided he had no use for a wizard, and let me go. His loss. If that's what you're worried about, the Duke isn't out for my blood. I left his lands of my own accord, because there was nothing for me there."

"Still, we must have a demonstration for the Captain, to prove you are genuine. What could you do best?"
"As a matter of fact, the most impressive spells are sometimes easier than the subtle ones," said Elsa. "If all that's needed is a spectacle, it shouldn't be any trouble. It gives me time to keep training my war magic until I can play a meaningful role on the battlefield... which, I suspect, is what the Captain really needs me for."

LCP
2014-03-09, 03:53 PM
Elsa

"One of the Duke's men, a brute called Jager, had me arrested on false charges of spying and witchcraft," said Elsa, still angry at the memory. "Might have something to do with how I objected to his dreadful treatment of his people. I ended up in front of the Duke, who was thankfully a bit less hostile but decided he had no use for a wizard, and let me go. His loss. If that's what you're worried about, the Duke isn't out for my blood. I left his lands of my own accord, because there was nothing for me there."

"So you have met him," said Barbaro. He seemed to think that was a bad thing. "Did the Duke learn your name?"

"As a matter of fact, the most impressive spells are sometimes easier than the subtle ones," said Elsa. "If all that's needed is a spectacle, it shouldn't be any trouble. It gives me time to keep training my war magic until I can play a meaningful role on the battlefield... which, I suspect, is what the Captain really needs me for."

Barbaro nodded. "Do you have an example you can show me now?"

-Sentinel-
2014-03-09, 04:59 PM
Elsa

"Did the Duke learn your name?"

"I... can't remember if I told him," Elsa admitted. "But I most likely did. Does it matter?"

"Do you have an example you can show me now?"
"I could, but the owner of the house wouldn't like it, and I don't want to get my friend Adelbert in trouble. Is there another place we can go? Are you concerned about people witnessing my powers before we can show the Captain?"

LCP
2014-03-09, 05:08 PM
Elsa

"I... can't remember if I told him," Elsa admitted. "But I most likely did. Does it matter?"

Barbaro gritted his teeth. "Si... a little. If Alvarr knows your name, then he can give the lie to whatever we say about you, no? He knows you are, how did you say... an apprentice."

He thought on the question for a little while, before the answer seemed to come to him in a flash. "Would you object to using a different name?" His grin returned. "Here in the principalities, a woman can choose whatever name she wishes."

"I could, but the owner of the house wouldn't like it, and I don't want to get my friend Adelbert in trouble. Is there another place we can go? Are you concerned about people witnessing my powers before we can show the Captain?"

"Yes, of course. Which is why this place..." - again he looked around at the worm-eaten boards of the attic as if they might infect him with some unpleasant disease - "...is so... convenient?"

His eyes flicked to the hatch that led to the stairway, and he lowered his voice. "The old man does not need to know. And if he objects, we pay him off, no?"

-Sentinel-
2014-03-09, 05:41 PM
Elsabeth Holt

"Would you object to using a different name?"
Elsa nodded dubiously. Lies and deception were not her forte. "I guess I can, yes. Something from the Empire, of course, since I can't really pretend I'm from anyplace else. I'll think of something."

Barbaro seemed more concerned with impressing the Duke than with giving him a strong wizard, which seemed to confirm the others' suspicion that he was rather self-interested about the whole thing. Then again, so was Elsa, so she could hardly throw stones.

"The old man does not need to know. And if he objects, we pay him off, no?"
"If you wish. My demonstration will be rather understated compared to what I'll show the Captain, of course; you want me to show you something impressive that doesn't draw attention, which is a bit of a contradiction in terms."

She removed her heavy leather coat and threw it negligently over Adelbert's chair. She then reached out for the red dress Barbaro had bought her, and whispered a few words under her breath.

Light spell. As we established during the encounter with Kelda Waveborn, Elsa's light spell consists of flames without heat. I'm rolling several tries just in case:

Channelling 58: [roll0]
Casting Number 3: [roll1] - Roll vs insanity OOC (passed)

Channelling 58: [roll2]
Casting Number 3: [roll3]

Channelling 58: [roll4]
Casting Number 3: [roll5]

Elsa let out a gasp and gritted her teeth after her first attempt, as the Wind of Aqshy burned through her skull as if in annoyance over being used in such a trivial fashion. She shook her head to clear her mind. "Sorry," she mumbled, "the Winds are being fickle. Let me try that again..."

As soon as the dress caught "fire", Elsa draped it over her shoulders, dearly wishing she had a mirror to see how she looked now.

OOC: I'm sure there's a Hunger Games joke in there.

LCP
2014-03-09, 05:49 PM
Elsa

Elsa nodded dubiously. Lies and deception were not her forte. "I guess I can, yes. Something from the Empire, of course, since I can't really pretend I'm from anyplace else. I'll think of something."

Barbaro nodded. "Be sure you let me know first, yes? If I am making your introduction without knowing your name, it will look strange."

At Elsa's demonstration, he grinned and applauded. "Brava!" he exclaimed. "Molto brava. Signora, that is perfect." He paused, thinking. "But I think, with the Captain, perhaps it would be better if it worked the first time?"

LeSwordfish
2014-03-09, 06:02 PM
Ludo & Adelbert
"I'd join you for the conversation." Ludo offered cheerfully, and followed Adelbert into town.

"How're things going with Al-Makir's work?" he asked. "Let me know if you need any help- I know my letters quite well."

-Sentinel-
2014-03-09, 06:06 PM
Elsa

"Be sure you let me know first, yes? If I am making your introduction without knowing your name, it will look strange."
Elsa nodded. "Sure thing. I'll tell you my new name when you come to fetch me. I might be wearing that name for years, so it's not a decision I can make in a minute."

"But I think, with the Captain, perhaps it would be better if it worked the first time?"
Elsa resisted an urge to roll her eyes. "That... goes without saying." Do you think I failed on purpose? "I could even come in with the dress already on fire, if you prefer."

RossN
2014-03-09, 06:08 PM
Ludo & Adelbert

Adelbert smiled his mood obviously improving.

"I've only just started but it seems fairly straightforward; a lot of work to do but the actual documents are simple enough. They are mostly in Tilean mind. Hmm, I wonder if any of the girls at the Serpent are literate... I'll have to ask Sieghard."

Reaching the Chalice Adelbert went to order an ale and a meal before finding a seat. "So you seem pretty eager to check out the ruins. Did you find out anything from Barbaro that might have whetted your appetite?"

LCP
2014-03-09, 06:09 PM
Elsa

Barbaro seemed to take the suggestion seriously. "No," he said, hesitating. "I think perhaps it would be best... not. Just come... prepared?"