PDA

View Full Version : [D&D 3.5]Cast Spell with lower Caster Level?

Serarya
2013-10-16, 04:25 PM
Hello again,

my last question here was answered so well, that I will bother you with my next question :).
The thematic I want to address happens in my current D&D round and concerns me very much.

I will explain it within an example:
Spell "Temperature Control" from Frostburn contains:
[...]
Range: 20ft./level
Area: 20 cu. ft./level
Duration: 1 hour/level
[...]
You imbue an area with cold or fire energie, reduceing or raising the temperature by one temperature band per five caster levels. [...]

The bands are:
140°F or more
110°F to 140°F
90°F to 110°F
60°F to 90°F
40°F to 60°F
40°F to 0°F
-20°F to 0°F
-50°F to -20°F
-50°F or less

In this spell, there are many variables such as the range, the area and the Band of Temperature. If the magician enters casterlevel 10 or higher, the text of the spell says, that the controles Temperatureband will be increased by one to two bands.
But that is not the intention of the magician, which requires only a certain temperature band around him to use his spells effectively (and not kill his group anyway by regulateing the temperature too high or too low :P).
Now the question: Can a magician of any higher casterlevel degrade his casterlevel to cast a spell, so that the wizard in the example only regulates temperature to only one band down?

Emperor Tippy
2013-10-16, 04:30 PM
You can always cast a spell at any CL down to the minimum required to cast the spell.

Maginomicon
2013-10-16, 04:31 PM
Yes. You can downgrade your CL for a given casting of the spell as low as you like so long as it doesn't go below the minimum for casting the spell in your class (for most classes that's CL 1 for 0th & 1st, CL 3 for 2nd, CL 5 for 3rd, etc.)

Serarya
2013-10-16, 04:46 PM
Does it require always to get the whole caster level down or can i only degrade only 1 or 2 aspects of the spell as i like?

Fax Celestis
2013-10-16, 04:50 PM
It's a variable-system. On casting the spell, you set your CL to be anything between the minimum required to cast the spell and your current level (plus bonuses, if any). It uses this number for the entirety of the spell.

DarthCyberWolf
2013-10-16, 05:11 PM
Personally, on a spell called "control temperature", I would say you could control the amount the temperature changes, up to what your caster level will allow.

Serarya
2013-10-18, 11:42 AM
Thanks alot :). I also think the original Intension of the Spell was to coltrol the temperature complete ^.^

What I want to know is if i can end this Spell at will - like i enter a town or sowhat - i dont want to transform a whole town in a fridge :P

Psyren
2013-10-18, 01:47 PM
It does not say it is dismissable, no. But in the worst-case scenario, you can autosucceed on your check to dispel it, so bring a wand or scroll of dispel magic with you.