PDA

View Full Version : Expedition to Castle Ravenloft IC

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Vetril
2014-06-22, 01:43 PM
Jonnel offers an optimistic opinion, as he joins his friend and the priest of Pelor, just in front of the doorway.

"Let's move on, then. I bet we'll find something worth all this trouble."

"Let's."

The two warriors step through the door, slowly moving through the hallway, keeping their eyes open for danger. Gallard stays on the right side, whereas Jonnel walks near the left wall.

Kish
2014-06-22, 01:49 PM
Ireena keeps her bow trained on the closest statue at you move. None of the statues moves, but their eyes seem to watch you while you pass. Your torch seems oddly quite a bit dimmer than you're used to torches being.

The hall is seventy feet long; a pair of rotted wooden doors await you at the end of it.

(Gallard's sword: Not glowing.)

(Illumination in general: Bright for a 10 foot radius around the torch, shadowy out to a 20 foot radius, nonexistent beyond that.)

Ionbound
2014-06-22, 02:42 PM
Elena takes a deep breath as she walks down the halls as she says, "This...Is very creepy. I feel like he could leap out at any moment...And there'd be nothing we could do to stop him..."

stack
2014-06-23, 11:10 AM
"The very air rebels against light." Brom watches the statues uneasily as he proceeds.if we had prestige classes, Brom would totally be a radiant servant of pelor. The boost to light spells would actually be useful here!

neoseph7
2014-06-23, 12:26 PM
Ivyn Nadirna

You ever have that feeling you're being... watched?

I have this burning desire to just shout out "Dun Dun DUUUNNN!" Or maybe just "Boo"

stack
2014-06-23, 02:41 PM
Reaching the door , Brom signals the others to stand back as he opens it.

Ionbound
2014-06-23, 03:07 PM
Elena nods to Brom and stands back, morningstar ready of anything should appear.

Vetril
2014-06-23, 03:26 PM
Gallard and Jonnel step back, ready to attack, should enemies appear. Both warriors have a determined look on their faces, as they wait with their swords unsheated.

Both ready an action to charge any enemy that passes the door.

Kish
2014-06-23, 03:29 PM
Broken stained glass windows send tiny shards of colored light into the ruins of this chapel. Pews and benches lie about the floor in jumbled disarray, some shattered, all covered with centuries of dust. Beyond this debris, a round dais holds an ornate altar. A beautiful silver statue of a raven stands atop the altar, just beyond the grasp of an armored humanoid form sprawled over the top and front of the altar.

Two statues flank the altar. The room extends beyond the range of your light to the north, south, and up.

neoseph7
2014-06-24, 09:21 AM
Ivyn Nadirna

The odds are that fellow there is dead. What does it say about a man's piety when his own chapel is left to rot and collect dust.

[roll0]
For the religious significance of this room, especially the tableau on the alter.

Ionbound
2014-06-24, 09:36 AM
Elena nods at Ivyn, and asks Ireena, "That is the holy symbol, right? I would hate to have come all this way to fall for a decoy."

Vetril
2014-06-24, 09:51 AM
Gallard lowers his sword and enters with the respect due to a holy place. He looks around, from left to right.

"This is a sad sight. The monster that lives here once was a devoted man."

After a moment, the knight approaches the altar and the dead man. If nothing interrupts him, he examines the corpse.

Gallard uses Detect Evil and looks around the room. He also tries to remember anything related to any symbols he can see.

Knowledge [Religion]: [roll0].

Knowledge [Religion]: [roll1].

Kish
2014-06-24, 10:00 AM
"I have the holy symbol," Ireena says. "Madam Eva said a book was in the chapel; I don't see a book. But whatever the raven statue is, it looks like it could be useful..." she pauses and adds, "...and also maybe deadly."

It does appear that the man made a grab for the raven statue and then fell down dead; you can't tell for sure whether he has obvious marks from here, though. The altar the statue sits on is a featureless block of stone, with no way to tell what faith was once honored here. A bronze heavy mace lies at the man's side.

When Gallard approaches the corpse, he sees that the man's body is unmarked, though his expression suggests that his final moments were painful. When Gallard turns him over, he sees that at his waist is what all of you quickly recognize as a holy symbol of Vecna; he also appears to have fallen across a bound black leather book with brass hinges. Ireena's breath hisses out when she sees it.

Your PM box is full. There's no sign of evil on the dais, the altar, the corpse, or even the book, but there is a moderate evil aura from the bronze heavy mace on the floor.

stack
2014-06-24, 11:14 AM
Brom studies the scene carefully. At Ireena's reaction to the sight of the book, he pauses, "You know more of this book?"

At any rate, it would seem that claiming the raven is unhealthy, at least for one who worships evil. Would it have the same effect on others? Perhaps we can learn more before making such an attempt. Ivyn, can you identify any signs of magic here?"

Kish
2014-06-24, 11:15 AM
Ireena shakes her head, her eyebrows raised. "Nothing we didn't all hear from Madam Eva, but it's what we're here for, right?"

Ionbound
2014-06-24, 11:34 AM
Elena nods, and eyes the Symbol of Vecna uncomfortably as she says, "Well...I think the first step is clear." With that, she picks up said symbol with extreme care, and places it on the ground, a good distance away from anything else, before taking a flint and steel out of her pack and trying to set it alight.

stack
2014-06-24, 09:01 PM
Brom puts his morningstar to the cause should the burning be insufficient.

neoseph7
2014-06-24, 09:08 PM
Ivyn Nadirna

Should we start consecrating this chapel?

Kish
2014-06-24, 09:17 PM
"Even if our priests have the ability, I doubt we have the time," Ireena says as the unholy symbol is reduced to a lump of charred metal and ashes.

Ionbound
2014-06-25, 08:38 AM
Elena shakes her head and says, "While the blessing itself it relatively simple, I did not request the power to execute it properly today. And, in any event, it would not be wise to advertise our presence."

stack
2014-06-25, 09:26 AM
"I have a scroll of a blessing of consecration, should we chose to use it. Sadly it is not a permanent blessing."

Vetril
2014-06-25, 10:59 AM
Gallard is still looking at the silver raven, somehow dubious.

"I can't say I've ever seen a symbol like that. To what God is this chapel dedicated, exactly?"

stack
2014-06-25, 11:13 AM
[roll0] "Ivyn, do you care to examine the book while we ponder the raven?"

neoseph7
2014-06-25, 02:43 PM
Ivyn Nadirna

After assuring the book isn't dripping with evil by Gallard's vision, Ivyn will pick up and study the book carefully.

Taking ten as necessary for 25s on knowledge religion, arcana, and even planes. 25 spellcraft for any active spells too.

Rolls if taking 10 is not permitted.

[roll0] religion
[roll1] arcana
[roll2] planes
[roll3] spellcraft

Kish
2014-06-25, 04:04 PM
The book appears to be an ancient journal, written in a Common mostly illegible from age and stains. In the first twenty pages or so, you can make out about a paragraph's worth of acerbic commentary on troop movements referring, as far as you can tell, to a war that happened over three hundred years ago. "Madam Eva said if we brought that to her, she'd be able to tell us more about Strahd's weaknesses," Ireena says.

Ionbound
2014-06-25, 04:42 PM
Elena, meanwhile, looks dubiously at the Raven, trying to discern what it means.

Knowledge: Religion on the statue: [roll0]

Vetril
2014-06-26, 09:51 AM
"There are a few more hours before dusk. We should keep looking within the castle, before we return to the seer."

"I agree, what if the Count sees that we have taken the book, and then locks down the castle? We wouldn't be able to come back - we should treat this as the first and last time we can walk within these halls, and make the most out of it."

The knight returns to the silver statue once more.

"I have a feeling this is important. It's not of the Count, I believe. Maybe we should take it, or do something with it. What was that priest trying to do?"

Gallard tries to shift the statue, to judge its weight.

"Need a hand with that?"

Kish
2014-06-26, 10:16 AM
As Gallard touches the statue, a flash of golden light fills the section of the room in front of the altar.
[roll0]

Kish
2014-06-26, 10:18 AM
Ivyn takes 11 damage; Will save DC 16 to reduce it to 5.
The statue is easy to lift. It stands about 12 inches tall, 6 inches wide, and 1/4 inch thick, and is silver.

neoseph7
2014-06-26, 07:04 PM
Ivyn Nadirna

Gallard what are you...? Gahh!

[roll0]

Not cool man!

Ionbound
2014-06-26, 07:44 PM
Elena hmms at Ivyn's seemingly unique reaction and asks, more to the room than anyone in particular, "Hmm...What makes him different from the rest of us? It's not a connection to Pelor, or the divine in general...Unless you became a Cleric while I was gone, Ireena?"

Spellcraft: [roll0]

Vetril
2014-06-27, 08:01 AM
The knight stops at Ivyn's reaction. He seems genuinely confused, and glances at the others with a questioning look, before returning his eyes on the gnome.

"What's wrong?"

stack
2014-06-27, 11:09 AM
"Look at what it did to the evil priest there. Perhaps the effect if based on the moral standing of those near? Our friend's studies may have left a mark on him, leaving him susceptible. Or not, I am no expert in these matters. Regardless, I would have us explore a bit further if we are able, as you say, the way may be barred in the future. Perhaps we can find the tower spoken of by the seer? Did we pass any steps?" Brom steps over to heal the wizard.obscuring mist for CLW [roll0]

Ionbound
2014-06-27, 11:25 AM
Elena nods and says, "I know of a spell called Holy Smite that would replicate these effects. Perhaps the statue is enchanted to cast it when anyone touches it. Which means that this is decidedly something that we should leave here...It is no doubt a powerfully good artifact, likely protecting this chapel."

Kish
2014-06-27, 03:14 PM
"No, I'm not a priest. Are you certain about leaving it here? Whatever it is it could be useful to us, and it doesn't look like anything here's exactly protected except the statue itself."

neoseph7
2014-06-27, 04:56 PM
Ivyn Nadirna

You know, when the elders said I'd be punished for my "moral ambiguity", I imagined something less literal. If none of you are hurt than that statue likely is casting a spell for which the rightous are immune. As unpleasant as it was for me, it'll be doubly so for the vampire. We should take it with us.

Ivyn will study the statue to determine triggering effects, without touching it.

Ionbound
2014-06-27, 05:00 PM
Elena nods, shrugs, and says, "Fair enough...I'm just worried about what will happen to the Chapel if we take the statuette."

Vetril
2014-06-27, 06:36 PM
Jonnel laughs at Ivyn's words.

"It seems you're no saint, uh?"

The warrior walks next to the gnome to have a good look at the silver raven.

"Uh, what kind of magic do you think it is?"

Sir Gallard addresses Ireena.

"However, the fact that it is not protected makes me wonder if Strahd is afraid of its power - enough to avoid the Chapel completely? If so, the object could become our best protection, within these halls."

Gallard eyes Brom and Elena.

"I'm no priest, so I shall ask you - is the statuette's power its own, or is it tied to the holy ground of this place? I'm afraid that we might disturb a delicate defense, if we removed the raven from its designed location."

neoseph7
2014-06-27, 08:07 PM
Ivyn Nadirna

Never Claimed to be. I consider my perspective on morality to be more.... complicated. Leave it to the Gods to call me out on my egotism. It's all right. I'm healed and it didn't even hurt that much. Just kind of a surprise.

Kish
2014-06-27, 08:09 PM
As far as you can tell, what triggered the effect was starting to move the statue--or possibly starting to move something on the altar.

Vetril
2014-06-29, 03:31 AM
"Without knowing more, I think the safest line of action is leaving the statue here. We can always retrieve it on our way out, if we discover we need it."

Jonnel overhears the dialogue, and asks:

"So are we continuing now?"

"I'd say we should give one last look around, and press on. Very often there are secret passages within a castle's wall, and there could be one that leads somewhere else from this room - allowing us to avoid the monsters that lurk within these hall."

"I like the sound of that."

"I had no doubt."

The two take a few minutes to have a good look at the Chapel's walls.

Gallard Jonnel - Search: [roll0].

Jonnel - Search: [roll1].

Let me know if I need to make more Search checks, like one for each wall.

stack
2014-06-29, 01:07 PM
Brom aids it the search. [roll0]

(Presuming nothing is found)
"Were there other passages off the hall we just passed through? I still say finding the tower would be wise."

Kish
2014-06-29, 01:31 PM
You find nothing in the south or north wall directly. Two small, arched rooms open from the west wall to the north and south of the passage by which you came in.

The north arched room stands between the vast chapel on one side and a rising staircase on the other. Two alcoves open into the little room, each holding a shadowy humanoid statue within its dark confines. The stone forms display mighty muscled arms and legs, but their carved faces are hidden in black shadow.

The south arched room stands between the chapel on one side and a huge circular staircase on the other. Two identical alcoves, with identical statues, open into that room.

(Visibility: bright for a 10 foot radius around Brom and Ivyn, shadowy for a further 10 feet, effectively nonexistent beyond that.)

stack
2014-06-29, 01:48 PM
Stairs on either side. And more statues, of course. North or south?"

Ionbound
2014-06-29, 06:17 PM
Elena looks both ways and then says, "Well, we have the tome, right? Was there anything else here we actually need?"

Vetril
2014-06-30, 05:28 AM
"One or the other, they both go up, right? I say south."

Gallard shrugs.

"Both of them probably lead to the upper floors. Let's go south. Before that, however..."

The knight walks towards the southern archway.

"Would you make light, please? I want to have a good look at those statues, before we start another fight."

Detect Evil on the statues of the southern room.

stack
2014-06-30, 11:28 AM
Brom looks at Elena, "To unlock the power of the holy symbol we need to go to a particular tower. Not sure which though." He holds his torch up to let the knights see better as he approaches the statues.

Vetril
2014-06-30, 05:30 PM
Gallard nods and a weak smile crosses his face.

"Thanks. We'll find it."

He stands silent for a moment, examining the southern room.

"The passage should be safe. C'mon, let's go."

Kish
2014-07-01, 07:53 AM
The large grey flagstones of this spiraling staircase lead up and down around a 20-foot wide stone core. Cobwebs fill the staircase, making it difficult to see more than a few feet in either direction. While a solid wall is on your right as you climb, to your left is empty space.

The steep stairs go up, and up, and up.
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

The spiraling staircase finally ends at a walkway that encircles the top of the castle's highest tower. A dark stone shaft stretches down farther than you can see from a 20-foot diameter hole occupying most of the floor here. Cold air rushes up the shaft, carrying the odor of moldering graves. Wind whistles plaintively through small windows that pierce the tower walls. Aging beams support a steep roof, though one beam and part of the roof have collapsed, letting in a steady drizzle of rain.

(There is enough daylight to see here, though the weather hasn't improved.)

(This appears to be a dead end; short of flying, or jumping from the tower, the only way out you see is the way you came in. No other creatures are visible here.)

Ionbound
2014-07-01, 08:50 AM
Elena looks around briefly, and then says to Ireena, "So, here we are in the tallest tower in the Castle. Is the symbol reacting in any way?"

Knowledge (Religion) to figure out how to reactive the Symbol: [roll0]

Kish
2014-07-01, 08:54 AM
"I don't see a--what did Madam Eva say--spawn of Hell." Ireena digs through her pack and pulls out the holy symbol. She turns it over in her hands; it seems as inert as before.

This doesn't look like a likely place for performing any kind of magical rituals, infernal or otherwise.

"You must bring the symbol to the place of its antithesis, where hellish magic is made."
"A spawn of Hell has come to the castle, and the servants of this fiend work their magic at the top of one of the towers."

stack
2014-07-01, 11:12 AM
Brom crosses to a window to look to the north, trying to see if there is a tower attached to the opposite stair that looks more promising.

Kish
2014-07-01, 12:07 PM
Brom sees a landing. What appears to be a huge dull red glowing gem hovers in the air over the landing. You can't be sure, but you think it's farther away than would fit for the stairway you saw downstairs.

stack
2014-07-01, 03:59 PM
"Ivyn, everyone, take a look here. What do you make if that?"

Vetril
2014-07-02, 01:11 PM
Gallard looks to the object Brom is pointing out.

"I think we are on the wrong tower. That's where we need to go."

Jonnel, on the other hand, doesn't seem quite happy.

"Tch. Take note of the direction, so we can try to orient ourselves while indoors. To be honest, I don't like the glow of that giant gem."

"Yes, it's probably as the seer said: an evil object that should be destroyed. Let's return to the chapel and see if we can find the path to that tower."

Kish
2014-07-02, 01:14 PM
"I think I saw another staircase in the entry hall," Ireena says. "I'm not sure if it would lead north of here, though."

neoseph7
2014-07-02, 01:47 PM
Ivyn Nadirna

That looks... menacing all right. But somehow... pretty.

Ivyn will walk forward to touch the red gem.

Taking ten on the usual suspects for 25 in Knowledge Planes, Religion, Arcana; Spellcraft for anything that might have an active spell.

Kish
2014-07-02, 01:49 PM
You can't touch it; you're seeing it through a window. That it's floating in the air and glowing certainly indicates magic of some sort, but you can't tell more.

Ionbound
2014-07-02, 02:51 PM
Elena nods, making a note to head north, before beginning to head down the tower.

Kish
2014-07-03, 12:02 PM
Anyone who follows Elena back down* arrives back at the chapel. It looks unchanged from when you left; the armored corpse still lies on the floor before the altar on which the raven statue sits, and the mace which seemingly belongs to the corpse still lies on the floor. Visible exits include the stairway accessible through the northernmost portal in the west wall, the corridor you took to get here, going back up the spiral stair you descended and jumping down the shaft next to the spiral stair.

(Gallard's sword, whether still at the top of the tower or back in the chapel, not glowing.)

Assuming this includes at least one of Brom or Ivyn. If not, replace the entire chapel description with, "It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue."

neoseph7
2014-07-03, 08:46 PM
Ivyn Nadirna

After fruitlessly reaching towards the shiny, Ivyn will head back down and proceed north with Elena.

Vetril
2014-07-04, 10:26 AM
After returning to the chapel, Gallard points to the northern room, where the stairs await.

"Since we're here, we might as well see where those lead. I don't think they lead to the landing, but surely the path to our destination goes through the upper floors."

He stops at the arch, looking around.

"Just let me check, first."

Gallard - use Detect Evil on the statues in the northern room from just outside of the archway.

Assuming everything seems safe and that a light source follows, Gallard, followed by Jonnel, will proceed to climb the stairs of the northern room.

Kish
2014-07-05, 09:45 AM
No sign of evil on the statues.

A staircase of old wood climbs shakily up a stonework shaft. With each step upon it, the wood strains underfoot, creaking and groaning.
[roll0]
The staircase climbs for 50 feet and opens onto a balcony. This long balcony overlooks the vast, rubble-strewn castle chapel. Two large, ornate thrones sit in the middle of the balcony, facing the chapel's altar far below. The only apparent exit from this balcony is back down the stairs (or jumping off the balcony).

Ionbound
2014-07-05, 09:51 AM
Elena pulls out her morningstar and asks, "So...What do you think the point of these are?"

K. Religion to try to figure out what the point of these are.

[roll0]

Vetril
2014-07-05, 02:04 PM
Jonnel gives the seats a distracted look.

"I've seen similar things in other castles - the lord and the lady of the keep sit there to assist to religious celebrations without being disturbed."

Gallard nods.

"That would be the purpose. It seems the Count, or his father before him, was once a pious man. Alas, we should go back to where we came from, and investigate in other directions."

The knight returns downstairs (always assuming that a source of light follows).

Kish
2014-07-05, 02:47 PM
"Strahd's brother was supposedly a priest of Pelor, actually," Ireena says.

In case someone who hasn't posted has something to do in the chapel or on the chapel balcony, I won't move the scene back to the front hall until Monday, but talking is a free action.

stack
2014-07-06, 12:37 PM
Brom keeps his light close to the knights. At Ireena's comment, "Indeed? What transpired here? I suppose the shrine becomes clearer...a fellow priest. Do you know anything of his fate?"

Kish
2014-07-06, 12:39 PM
"He was the golden son, the loved and loving one, the treasure--and Strahd hated him. But he died, mysteriously, on the day he was to marry." She shakes her head. "And Strahd has lived on and on."

stack
2014-07-06, 01:25 PM
"Dark shadows hang over that tale. I suppose the truth may lie buried in these walls, somewhere, but for now let us continue to that other stair." Brom stays close as the knights lead.

Ionbound
2014-07-06, 02:35 PM
Elena nods and says, "Mmm...A classic tale of jealousy. Still, let's head onward towards the other tower."

Kish
2014-07-07, 09:59 AM
You head back down the hallway to the great entry. The balcony, now without gargoyles, is still 20 feet over your head, just barely visible to all of you except Ivyn, who can see it easily. The entrance to the keep is ahead of you, to the west; to your right, a wide staircase climbs into darkness, and a wide hallway extends to your left.

Vetril
2014-07-07, 05:48 PM
Gallard looks at the passages the group has previously avoided.

"The stairs, I guess. One of these will surely lead to that other tower."

As he walks towards the staircase, he asks:

"Does anyone know what time of the day is it now? We mustn't lose track of time, less the night catches us unprepared."

neoseph7
2014-07-07, 06:32 PM
Ivyn Nadirna

You know, I don't think being in here at night is going to be worse than day. I get the feeling this unnatural darkness around the manse was purposed by Strahd himself.

I may just need a map. Or a good nights rest to understand our position from all this text. I'm trying not to look up anything from the Castle Ravenloft adventure.

stack
2014-07-08, 11:26 AM
"The stairs indeed. Our purpose lies upward."

Kish
2014-07-08, 11:44 AM
Massive stairs rise from the grand entry to an enormous landing. Stone arches support a ceiling covered with frescoes, 20 feet overhead. The faded lines (clearly visible to Ivyn, vaguely visible the the rest of you) depict the mountain that supports this castle as it is attacked be armored forces on horseback. Two staircases continue up from this landing in the same direction, separated by a pair of alcoves. Each alcove contains a suit of armor covered in dark stains, posed as if in battle and holding a mace designed like a curved dragon head.

Ionbound
2014-07-08, 01:01 PM
Elena looks at the armors and says, "Well...Onwards and upwards, then."

Kish
2014-07-08, 06:07 PM
Both staircases are at the south end of the landing and lead south as far as you can see; one is on the east side of the south, the other at the west side of the south.

stack
2014-07-08, 07:41 PM
"Suits of armor, holding weapons. Not normally a concern, but here...let us approach them with caution. Do they bear the stain of evil? If harmless, we can inspect the weapons, then I say west for the setting sun, as good a reason as any."

Vetril
2014-07-10, 10:40 AM
"That's good thinking. Let's see."

Sir Gallard checks the menacing statues before continuing.

In the mean time, Jonnel tries to orient himself and figure out if one of the two staircases might lead closer to the landing the group had previously seen. The warrior looks left and right, eyeing each of the exits a couple of times.

Gallard - Detect Evil on the statues and down the hall for good measure.

Jonnel - I have no idea which skill might be relevant: does survival apply indoors? This time I'll roll a d20 and let you apply the appropriate modifier: [roll0].

neoseph7
2014-07-10, 02:09 PM
Ivyn Nadirna

Ivyn looks the statues up and down, unimpressed with their grisly state. He'll await the paladin's detection efforts before proceeding.

Vetril
2014-07-14, 12:51 PM
Gallard moves on with confidence: "Everything seems to be fine..." he starts, when his companion interrupts him: "I think that if we go east, we'll end up closer to our destination. I'm positive about it."
The knight nods.
"Let's see if Jonnel's right, but keep your eyes open, just in case. I'll do the same."

That said, the two head to the eastern staircase, and start the ascension.

Kish
2014-07-14, 01:01 PM
Occasional flashes of lightning spill into this room in jagged shafts through the broken glass and iron frames of a large window in the west wall, opposite the double doors in the north side of the east wall. Otherwise, this immense room stands in chilly, brooding darkness. Hundreds of cobwebs, thick with dust, hide the ceiling from view. At the far end of the hall, a huge throne stands atop a raised platform, its back turned to the room.

Both stairways from the landing below apparently end at this room.

https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1y7Dgs9bWkp9LDkdbq_xQXEQGNd4u14FZ2J18gJblXbg/edit?usp=sharing

stack
2014-07-14, 01:09 PM
"We should check the throne before proceeding. There might be something of note near it." proposing we tak ten searching the roof after and evil-dar sweep.

Ionbound
2014-07-14, 04:24 PM
Helen swallows when she sees the throne and says, "Pelor...Is this his throne room?"

Vetril
2014-07-15, 11:34 AM
Gallard and Jonnel raise their shields and draw their swords, as they slowly take a few steps inside the room.

"Pay attention to the roof. If some kind of monstrous spider is the source of those cobwebs, it might still be up there, lurking where we can't see it."

The two men look around, up and down, left and right, trying to spot any source of danger - be it an evil creature, or a vicious trap.

Gallard - Detect Evil, and spot: [roll0].

Jonnel - spot: [roll1].

Kish
2014-07-15, 12:03 PM
You detect no evil. As far as you can see, nothing dangerous appears to be visible.

neoseph7
2014-07-16, 11:59 AM
Ivyn Nadirna

I don't like this. Not one bit. This whole castle has been remarkably quiet our entire time here. Balance of probabilities: Something is lurking, waiting for us, or active outside the castle. I hope the town is all right.

Ivyn will assist with searching the room, approaching the throne carefully.

Kish
2014-07-16, 06:23 PM
Assuming that the silence is assent to stack's suggestion, and also that you're taking 10 to search the room, not the roof.
You hear rustling noises as you search, but you can't find anything that wasn't readily apparent, nor does anything jump out at you while you search. The throne is made of ornately polished wood; it looks like a throne fit for a king, with no particular indications of malevolence or magic. From north of it, it's impossible to see if anyone is sitting in it, but when you move south it appears no one is.

stack
2014-07-16, 07:22 PM
Brom shrugs, "At least the throne did not try to attack us. The stairs seem to end here, so first door then?" He moves to open the door nearest the stairs.

neoseph7
2014-07-16, 08:32 PM
Ivyn Nadirna

Ivyn will search the west and south walls, knocking on them to inspect for cavities or illusions. He will then look at the floor immediately next to the throne for tracks.

I'm no architect, but something is off about this room.

Ivyn does not mention his time at Interior Decorator School. What happens on campus stays on campus.

Kish
2014-07-17, 05:59 PM
Brom opens the double doors, revealing a dark antechamber which lies between two sets of massive double doors (the western pair of which Brom just opened). Between the doors, two alcoves hold grinning skeletons facing each other across the darkness.

https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1y7Dgs9bWkp9LDkdbq_xQXEQGNd4u14FZ2J18gJblXbg/edit?usp=sharing

(Gallard's sword: Beginning to glow.)

Ionbound
2014-07-17, 06:30 PM
Elena looks at the skeletons apprehensively and says, "Oh dear...This is very, very bad..."

stack
2014-07-17, 07:37 PM
Brom steps back. "I take it by your sword that those skeletons may be more lively than they appear. Or else there is something near and they are just a decoration in rather poor taste. Make ready, we can enter together. The undead, at least, I have been granted the power to deal with. They shall feel the sun."basically, going to use a greater turning at the first sign of motion from the skeletons

I'll roll now for convenience [roll0]
[roll1] x 1.5 HD so 28 HD of up to 7 hd undead. Bah, weak.

Vetril
2014-07-18, 02:43 AM
"And of that we are thankful."

Jonnel says, in a lighthearted tone. Sir Gallard, on the other hand, seems more serious.

"We'll hold them off from you then; and in the mean time, work your magics."

The two look at each other to coordinate, then they form a shield wall, albeit small, and start advancing through the passage, ready to intercept the attack that is likely to come.
Thanks to the Ravensgate family heirloom, no vile undead can take the knight, or his companions, by surprise.

Gallard and Jonnel approach the skeletons side by side; both use total defense.

Kish
2014-07-18, 06:38 AM
When Ireena sees the skeletons, she quickly nocks an arrow and fires it at the north skeleton, producing a big hole in the skeleton's skull; it lurches forward, but clearly in a purely kinetic reaction to the arrow rather than any volitional movement, a wire poking up through its now-exposed neckhole. "...Oh," Ireena says in a surprised voice.

(Gallard's sword: Glowing.)

Vetril
2014-07-18, 08:13 AM
Jonnel seems genuinely surprised by the discovery.

"Hey, they were just kept in pose by wires! They are not monsters... So why is your sword glowing, Gallard?"

The knight seems slightly worried, as he answers to his friend. He looks around, trying to locate the hidden danger.

"I don't know yet, but there surely must be something lurking around."

Both stay in total defense, and Gallard uses Detect Evil.

Kish
2014-07-18, 09:01 AM
You can sense no evil.

Ionbound
2014-07-18, 09:58 AM
Elena's morningstar is drawn and she says, "This is...Unnerving, to say the least...Perhaps your blade is registering the stone we saw from the other tower?"

Kish
2014-07-18, 11:41 AM
"I'm pretty sure that stone would be, ah," Ireena returns her bow to her back to point north and up at a steep angle. "A lot further away than when we saw it, and the sword didn't glow then. Something past the doors or one of these walls, maybe?"

stack
2014-07-19, 12:47 PM
Brom pauses, "How far does your sword's detection reach? Could something be hiding just beyond the wall...or invisible? I suppose there is one way to find out. Open the door, Jonnel, and we will stand ready to destroy any foul spirit on the other side." He raises his sunburst shield, ready to channel holy power.

Ionbound
2014-07-19, 03:41 PM
Elena nods and stands ready, slipping her sun pendant off of her neck, ready to present it to whatever dark force lies beyond.

Vetril
2014-07-19, 04:53 PM
"To be honest? I wouldn't know. It's been my family's sword for generations, but it's been decades since it's seen battle against the unliving. I wasn't even sure it had any power, before we arrived here."

As the others invite Jonnel to open the door, Gallard quickly interjects.

"Let's make sure there is no trap to be triggered, before we hastily move on. We better have a good look at those skeletons, and at that door for good measure."

Jonnel immediately declares his agreement:

"That could have avoided the accident with the slime. I can only say that this is a sound line of action."

The two proceed to throughly search the macabre skeletons and the door, looking for signs of hidden mechanisms and trap triggers.

Gallard - Search the skeletons, then the door: [roll0], [roll1].

Jonnel - Aids Gallard with both efforts: [roll2], [roll3].

Kish
2014-07-19, 04:59 PM
You can't find anything non-obvious on the doors. The skeletons are bones wired together and attached to the walls behind them with spears; they show no sign of being animate, but Gallard's sword continues to glow.

Kish
2014-07-19, 06:27 PM
[roll0]
After Gallard and Jonnel search the north skeleton, Ireena goes over to retrieve her arrow. "Wait a minute, what's this?" She pushes and pulls at the wall behind the skeleton, and you hear a faint click.

https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1y7Dgs9bWkp9LDkdbq_xQXEQGNd4u14FZ2J18gJblXbg/edit?usp=sharing ; the northernmost S which is sideways stands for "secret door," not "skeleton."

Vetril
2014-07-19, 06:37 PM
After a brief discussion between the two, Jonnel steps up to the door, whereas the knight steps back, preparing himself for the worst.

"My turn", the warrior merely says, before opening it.

Kish
2014-07-19, 08:36 PM
Behind the doors Jonnel opened are a wide hall, where shadows seem to dance across the high, vaulted ceiling. A low moan rises and falls, intoning sadness and despair.

https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1y7Dgs9bWkp9LDkdbq_xQXEQGNd4u14FZ2J18gJblXbg/edit?usp=sharing (Sorry about the crookedness of my lines.)

Ionbound
2014-07-19, 08:51 PM
Elena blinks a couple of times and then says, "Begone shadows..." as she brandishes her symbol at the darkness, unleashing a blast of Holy Light

Initiaitve: [roll0]

Turning check: [roll1]
Turning Damage: [roll2]

stack
2014-07-19, 09:17 PM
"It would be helpful if we could see anything. Let us save our energy until we have something to fight." Brom holds his torch high in one hand, still ready with his shield as he walks forward into the hall.I'm confused, did they mean to open the visible door or the secret one? Seems like we should check the secret one first...

neoseph7
2014-07-20, 08:24 PM
Ivyn Nadirna

Ivyn opens the secret door.

Kish
2014-07-20, 09:11 PM
Ireena raises an eyebrow as Ivyn reaches for the door, but moves out of the way readily enough.

Behind the secret door, Ivyn sees a 20-foot long hall. Another door opens off the left side of it, and at the end he glimpses an ascending stairway.

stack
2014-07-21, 11:12 AM
"If it is hidden, it maybe important. Let us try this way first." Brom motions the warriors ahead, keeping his torch high.

Ionbound
2014-07-21, 12:14 PM
Elena nods, and says, "It may bypass a trap...No doubt the owner would want a way to get to some place he wants protected without risking anything."

neoseph7
2014-07-21, 05:12 PM
Ivyn Nadirna

Ivyn looks up the stairwell before climbing its steps in exasperation of all this walking. Sure it beats fighting, but it's far below lying on a couch eating candy or bottling alchemical regents. To the rest of the party, Ivyn merely sighs obnoxiously.

Vetril
2014-07-21, 06:33 PM
Jonnel seems somehow disappointed, but follows Gallard, who moves to lead the group down the passage uncovered when the secret door was opened.
The knight laughs when he sees his companion's face.
The two move down the secret passage, either flanking each other, or with Jonnel behind Gallard, if the space is not enough.

Kish
2014-07-21, 09:35 PM
As you move into the hallway, the glow from Gallard's sword fades. Ivyn moves ahead of everyone else to the stairway and looks up it impatiently.

stack
2014-07-22, 11:36 AM
"Well, away from the undead anyhow. Let us continue upward."

Kish
2014-07-24, 08:44 AM
The curving staircase ascends 40 feet and ends at a long hall. As you approach the top, Gallard's sword begins to glow again.

Long, low moans drift through this hall. The ceiling has fallen, leaving rubble strewn across the floor. Overhead, the beams of the castle's roof are exposed. Lightning flashes sporadically across the sky, casting shadows among the alcoves and statues that line the hall.
A second lightning flash illuminates the hall, and in that light you see a ghostly figure emerge from one of the statues. It appears to be a human woman in heavy armor, the emblem of a raven clearly visible on her breastplate. She raises one hand and whispers, "Blessings to you" in a cold, dead voice.

https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1q1Ut5WCx20qdRm6r8PYbxFtnGSNO2KYDfz2WzhjGQ_A/edit?usp=sharing ; the S's represent statues, with the W being the statue the ghostly woman emerged from.

Vetril
2014-07-24, 08:03 PM
Gallard tilts his head at the sight of the raven symbol. He eyes the ghost, and, if he doesn't perceive any wickedness, he decides to salute the eerie apparition. He makes sure to hold his shield high in front of him, partly to be ready to defend himself, partly to let the specter notice the heraldry of the Ravensgate family - a black raven on a red field.

"And to you, restless soul. Why do you haunt this lair of evil?"

If instead the ghost is perceived as evil, the knight will proceed to salute the enemy with his sword, before preparing himself to fight.

Whatever the course of action taken by Sir Gallard, Jonnel, knowing that Gallard is much more knowledgeable of these things, will wait to see his friend's reaction, before acting himself.

Gallard - Detect Evil, if not evil, talk; if evil, total defense.

Jonnel - moves next to Gallard, ready

stack
2014-07-24, 08:37 PM
Gallard having already asked the question on his mind, Brom awaits a response.[roll0] (its the only thing he knows anything about, so why not? See if he thinks non-evil ghosts are possible and anything toward identifying what she is and can do

Kish
2014-07-24, 09:29 PM
You detect no evil on her, but your Detect Evil cone happens to intersect the northwest statue, and you sense a moderate evil aura in it.
Brom is pretty sure that ghosts can be nonevil, and could have powers ranging from "Nothing: Unable to physically affect the world of the living" to "Retains powers from life" to powers beyond those possessed in life, particularly related to aging.

"The burgomaster of Barovia assembled a group to cleanse this dark castle of its evil," the spectral woman intones in an echoing, uninflectedly mournful voice. "I fell here, fell first, to the restless dead. As long as the lord of this place is among the unliving, here I must remain. I hoped the rest of my group would succeed without me, but I am still bound here, so they failed."

neoseph7
2014-07-25, 12:31 AM
Ivyn Nadirna

Can you help us succeed where your companions failed? Do you know of the power Strahd uses to protect his kind from the sun?

stack
2014-07-25, 02:39 PM
"Indeed, we are here to end the creature's threat. Please, tell us anything you know that could be of aid. Do you know anything of the holy symbol of ravenkind, for instance? Or other relics in this place that might aid us? The raven in the chapel, for instance..."

Kish
2014-07-25, 03:52 PM
"Protect his kind from the sun?" she repeats blankly.

Ireena says, "Strahd and at least one of his minions have been moving about freely by day."

The ghostly woman shakes her head. "I have no idea. He avoided the sunlight like any vampire when my group came here. There was a sword, the Sunsword, I had hoped to use against him, but Eva only had the hilt. It doesn't sound like it would do much good now anyway, if he no longer fears the sun. The raven in the chapel--the Icon of Ravenloft? It was one of the items we hoped would help us destroy Strahd; you have it, good."

Vetril
2014-07-27, 05:45 PM
Gallard shakes his head.

"We didn't know what it was, so we didn't take it. We feared it might do more damage than good, if we removed it from its place."

The knight lowers his blade, visibly more relaxed.

"What else can you tell us about this place? You must know that we are also looking for a vile gem, which is somewhere above us, on a landing. We saw it from afar."

Kish
2014-07-28, 08:39 AM
Gallard's initiative: [roll0] (Might want to update your listed number, I might miss the feat at some point)
Jonnel's initiative: [roll1]
Brom's initiative: [roll2]
Elena's initiative: [roll3]
Ivyn's initiative: [roll4]
Ireena's initiative: [roll5]
Monster initiative: [roll6][roll7][roll8][roll9][roll10]
The spectral woman suddenly tenses. "They're here. This is all the help I can give you." She fades from sight as a pair of ghostly claws emerge from the northwest statue, quickly followed by the rest of a translucent black figure with glowing red eyes. Similar ghostly figures emerge from the four other statues as well.

Kish
2014-07-28, 08:42 AM
The creature from the south-central statue lunges toward Ivyn, slashing with its translucent claws.
[roll0]

It misses by a mile.

Spectral Figure #2: 23
Jonnel: 21 <<
Spectral Figure #3: 17
Brom: 16
Elena: 14
Spectral Figure #1: 11
Spectral Figure #5: 10
Ireena: 9
Spectral Figure #4: 6
Gallard: 5
Ivyn: 3

Edited: stack pointed out that we were doing group initiative, so, my apologies for my error.

For the sake of minimal redoing, PCs' turn.

Ionbound
2014-07-28, 09:03 AM
Elena lifts and brandishes her holy symbol as she shouts, "Begone! Back to the shadows," and unleashed a wave of holy light, trying to drive the incorporeal beings away.

Turning Check: [roll0]

Turning damage: [roll1]

stack
2014-07-28, 11:11 AM
Brom raises his shield, light streaming forth as he attacks the nearest spectre. if not turned by Elena, then greater turning
[roll0] - hits undead up to 12 HD
[roll1] x 1.5 HD = destroys 25 HD of undead

move & attack [roll2]
damage [roll3] counts as magic from magic weapon

Brom Sunborn (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=693074)
M NG Human Cleric, Level 8, Init +3, HP 31/52, Speed 20
AC 19, Touch 9, Flat-footed 19, Fort +7, Ref +1, Will +8, Base Attack Bonus 5
MW Morningstar +8 (1d8+2, x2)
Fullplate +1, MW (also holy symbol) Light Steel Shield (+9 Armor, +1 Shield, -1 Dex)
Abilities Str 14, Dex 8, Con 14, Int 8, Wis 17, Cha 14
Condition Magic circle against evil 10' radius +2 deflection AC & saves
Magic Weapon

Turning Check:
-Check 1d20+7 (7 = 2 Cha + 2 Know Religion +3 circlet of persuasion) count as level 8 from Ephod
-Damage 1.5*(2d6+13) (13 = 7 level +1 ephod +2 CHA +3 circlet of persuasion)

Kish
2014-07-28, 11:19 AM
The incorporeal creatures sizzle and vanish as both Elena and Brom turn them. The glow from Gallard's sword fades.

https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1q1Ut5WCx20qdRm6r8PYbxFtnGSNO2KYDfz2WzhjGQ_A/edit?usp=sharing

stack
2014-07-28, 11:54 AM
"Well, at least that kind of threat we know how to deal with. I don't suppose the helpful woman will be coming back shortly? Perhaps we should continue."

Ionbound
2014-07-28, 03:32 PM
Elena nods and says, "Indeed...If only all foes were this easy to deal with. But let us continue upwards. Unless anyone wants to go back for the Raven?"

neoseph7
2014-07-29, 10:12 AM
Ivyn Nadirna

Well... That was brief. Did we lose our spectral guide? She seemed to suggest what I thought, we should go back for the relic. Just try not to trigger it with me nearby please.

I imagine Ivyn getting distracted and staring off into space, utterly oblivious of the shadows as they comically miss him due to bending down or something.

Vetril
2014-07-29, 10:16 AM
Both Gallard and Jonnel sheathe their swords.

"No reason to, we can recover the statue when we return downstairs; for now, let's push forward."

The knight starts walking, but stops for a moment, as if he just had an afterthought.

"Impressive work with those spectres. Barely had the time to realize we were attacked."

Jonnel laughs.

"If only we could always fight these pushovers, instead of the dangerous things, like a certain pack of werewolves."

Kish
2014-07-29, 06:35 PM
The hallway curves around to the right, and ends at a door.

(If no one posts "I open the door" or "my henchman opens the door" or "I do something contrary to opening the door" by tomorrow afternoon, I'll assume Gallard opens the door.)

https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1q1Ut5WCx20qdRm6r8PYbxFtnGSNO2KYDfz2WzhjGQ_A/edit?usp=sharing

Ionbound
2014-07-29, 09:07 PM
Elena winces and says, as she carefully walks down the hallway, "Don't even joke...That bite still hurts."

stack
2014-07-30, 06:52 AM
Gesturing to the door, "Sir Gallard, if you would do the honors?"

Kish
2014-07-30, 11:13 AM
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

A blazing hearth fire fills this room with rolling waves of red and amber light. The walls are lined with ancient books and tomes, their leather covers well oiled and preserved. The stone floor is mostly hidden beneath a luxurious rug of a deep-patterned weave. A large, low table sits in the center of the room, waxed and polished to a mirrored shine. Even the poker next to the fireplace is polished. Large, overstuffed divans and couches are arrayed around the room, with two luxurious chairs facing the hearth. A huge painting of Ireena in a heavy, gilded frame hangs over the mantelpiece, illuminated by the dancing light of the fire. Ireena gasps at the sight.

(Gallard's sword: Beginning to glow.)

Ionbound
2014-07-30, 11:19 AM
Elena looks at the door on the other side of the room and says, "Did...did that door just shut on it's own?"

stack
2014-07-30, 12:07 PM
Brom eyes the well maintained luxury with caution before pausing at the sight of the painting. "Ireena...I am going to assume you do not recall sitting for that?" Then he makes his now reflexive glance to Gallard's sword. "Make ready. Again."

Kish
2014-07-30, 12:55 PM
Ireena shakes her head, her eyes fixed on the painting. "No, I didn't. But how...and why..."

She pulls herself away and looks around the room. "Nothing seems to be attacking us right now, anyway."

Vetril
2014-07-30, 07:06 PM
Gallard moves towards the center of the room, ready for more ghosts that might come out of a wall. Jonnel is quick to lend his support, and prepares to guard his friend's back.

"Regardless, my sword is glowing. We might be lucky and avoid another fight, but I wouldn't count on it."

The knight gives a quick glance at the painting.

"As for that... I'd say it's a remarkable similarity."

"Maybe it's her mother, Gallard. Or her sister."

"Maybe."

The two stand silent, listening for any noise that might reveal the unseen foe.

Both use total defense.

Gallard - Listen: 1d20+1.

Jonnel - Listen: 1d20.

Messed up, see OOC for rolls.

Kish
2014-07-30, 07:20 PM
"I don't have a sister and my mother's hair was lighter." Ireena frowns up at the picture.
If I need to spell it out for rolls of 9 and 5, Gallard and Jonnel can't hear anything except the crackling of the fire. The room is 40' by 40'.

stack
2014-07-31, 07:10 AM
"We know Strahd took an interest in you...how old would you say this picture is?"anyone have appraise?

Kish
2014-07-31, 10:14 AM
You try to determine the answer to Brom's question.
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

You're pretty sure the painting dates from well before Ireena should have looked like she does in the painting; in fact, you'd say it's a lot older than Ireena. It portrays her wearing an understatedly luxurious dress and a ruby amulet; she appears to gaze directly out of the painting confidently.

There is no indication of who painted it, but it demonstrates a remarkable level of artistic skill.

Kish
2014-08-01, 10:22 AM
Ireena shakes her head. "Anyway, what are we doing?" She looks around. "I see three doors. Or should we search this room first?"

Vetril
2014-08-01, 03:11 PM
"We are searching the room, first. I believe there might be something else, apart from the painting, that deserves our attention. A couple of minutes dedicated to this task will surely be well spent."

Sir Gallard starts to search nearby the fireplace. Jonnel has a good look at the opposite side of the room. The knight even goes as far as looking behind the painting, for secret compartments. Anything unusual they find is quickly shown to the others.

Gallard - Search: [roll0].
Jonnel - Search: [roll1].

Kish
2014-08-01, 03:19 PM
Jonnel doesn't find anything out of the ordinary. The painting lifts free of the wall readily enough; there is a black spot on the back of it, that might be just a blotch or a burn or might be somewhere something was blotted out. When Gallard picks up the poker by the fireplace, a rumbling sound fills the room and the back wall of the fireplace swings open.

neoseph7
2014-08-01, 03:41 PM
Ivyn Nadirna

Just our luck. Strahd has levels in future psychic.

That painting is quite old, and very well done. Ireena, do you by any chance recognize the dress, back drop or ruby amulet? That might give a clue to dating the picture.

On the other hand... This could be a trick. A way to point at Ireena to provide Strahd cover. Or mayhaps there is more to the lady than we know?

Ivyn looks at Ireena curiously before proceeding into the path made by the swinging fireplace, after Gallard of course.

Kish
2014-08-01, 03:45 PM
She shakes her head slowly. "I've never seen them. I don't have anything anywhere near that fancy. It's older than me? I don't know how he could have done it, or why he would have."

(Note that the fire did not go out when the back wall of the fireplace opened. Anyone who walks through it will catch on fire.)

stack
2014-08-01, 05:37 PM
Brom shrugs. "Magic tricks of a mad villan, help me put out the fire and we can leave strange paintings alone."

Vetril
2014-08-01, 08:13 PM
"Let's do it; then we can have a good look at what is hidden beyond this other secret passage."

Jonnel quickly helps Brom in his efforts to extinguish the fire.

stack
2014-08-02, 09:36 AM
"Stand back, actually. I have just the thing." A ball of water appears above the flames before dropping abruptly. Guess who prepared create water this morning! Glad I checked.

Kish
2014-08-02, 11:00 AM
The fire goes out in a great cloud of steam. The painting is considerably less disconcerting now that you can't see it nearly as clearly. You walk into the fireplace.

This smoky room behind the fireplace holds a closed chest, with coins scattered on the floor around it. Attached to the opposite wall are two torch sconces, though only one holds a (edit, and sorry for the unclarity: lit) torch. The other (edit: also lit) torch is clutched in the skeletal hand of a moldering corpse clad in full plate armor, lying against the wall.

Vetril
2014-08-03, 05:14 PM
Gallard eyes the poor corpse for a moment, then kneels next to it, to search for some clues about its identity. He then composes it and says a quick prayer for the fallen.

Ionbound
2014-08-03, 11:49 PM
Elena nods, and examines the corpse for any identification as she prays over it, trying to help whoever this was reach peace.

Spot check: [roll0]

Kish
2014-08-04, 09:12 AM
The corpse does not move on its own; it seems to be just a corpse, though it's odd that it's holding the torch. You can make out no identifying marks on the armor or the corpse itself. "Is this Strahd's treasure room?" Ireena says.

stack
2014-08-04, 11:07 AM
Brom tests the chest to see if it is locked. Should it prove so, he will eye the torch held by the corpse before taking it and placing it in the empty sconce.Feels like a Zelda puzzle, light the torches in the right order...

Kish
2014-08-04, 11:09 AM
The chest is not locked.
Does that mean Brom aborts moving the torch in favor of opening the chest?

stack
2014-08-04, 11:47 AM
Brom waves the others back before slowly opening the chest using his morningstar as a level to keep his distance.

Kish
2014-08-05, 12:53 PM
Gallard takes the torch from the corpse and places it in the empty sconce; at the same time, Brom opens the chest carefully with his morningstar.

You have a moment to see that the chest appears to be empty before, with a distinct puff sound, a cloud of dust from the chest's front fills the air. (Everyone make a Fortitude save.) The back wall of the room swings open with a loud creak.

Ireena's Fortitude save: [roll0]

Ionbound
2014-08-05, 01:59 PM
Elena coughs and says, "Dammit! It's a trap!" as she gets a face full of the strange dust.

Fort Save: [roll0]

neoseph7
2014-08-05, 08:40 PM
Ivyn Nadirna

Eww. Make it stop!

[roll0]

Is this not something better handled by group? Not that the DM should do all our rolls, but it lets us know success failure early on.

Kish
2014-08-06, 04:18 AM
Ireena coughs and starts to back up, but then she stops and looks at the new opening. "Another secret door?"
Elena, Gallard, and Jonnel take 1 point of Charisma damage each.

Since success or failure on the saving throws didn't make any immediate difference to events, I don't see the need for me to make the rolls, though I'll certainly roll that kind of saving throws for you in the future if that's what everyone else wants.

stack
2014-08-06, 11:07 AM
"Secrets within secrets. If you are all able, let us continue down this new path."

Ionbound
2014-08-06, 11:55 AM
Elena nods and says, "Indeed. Onwards."

Kish
2014-08-06, 03:07 PM
"We're just leaving the coins there?" Ireena appears surprised.

Vetril
2014-08-06, 04:17 PM
Gallard waves his hand in front of his face, to dissipate the dust that got around him.

"The gold is not ours; we have no claim over it."

Jonnel moves ahead, adding a few words as he passes by.

"And the Ravensgate family is anything but needful, I'd say."

The two have a look at the passage.

"Let's continue this way."

neoseph7
2014-08-06, 06:45 PM
Ivyn Nadirna

Fret not Ireena. I have no qualms denying Strahd his resources, small though this bounty might be. We can donate them to the next legitimate ruler of this region.

Ivyn will take the gold and continue on though the secret path.

Ionbound
2014-08-06, 07:27 PM
Elena laughs a little and says, "Do you know what's sad, Ivyn? It's that I'm pretty sure Strahd is technically legitimate...Or at least, everyone thinks so."

stack
2014-08-06, 07:32 PM
Brom stands back from the coin gathering. "Hope they are not trapped as well. Or cursed." He follows the knights.

neoseph7
2014-08-07, 07:27 AM
Ivyn Nadirna

Sure sure. But we don't think he's legitimate. That's what's important. Ivyn replies with a smirk.

Kish
2014-08-07, 07:50 AM
The light from Gallard's sword fades as Gallard, Jonnel, Brom and Elena step into an ancient hallway choked with spider webs that hide the walls and ceiling. A narrow, low path of clear space runs down the center of the hallway.

Behind them, Ireena bends to help Ivyn gather up the gold and silver from the floor; they're the only ones in the room when the chest produces another puff of dust.

(Fortitude saves from Ivyn and Ireena. The coins total 50 gp and 100 sp. Note that you're all familiar enough with poison from your adventures to think that if you have any means of boosting your resistance before a minute from the initial exposure, it might be a good idea.)
[roll0]

stack
2014-08-07, 09:18 AM
Brom bats away webs as they proceed. "Another door. At least they didn't bother hiding this one. Maybe we ought search the hall, to be safe."let's take 10 searching the hall before trying to open the door, see if we get jumped by a zombie spider swarm.

Ionbound
2014-08-07, 09:27 AM
Elena nods and wordlessly helps Brom search the room.

Taking 10 for a 9...

Kish
2014-08-08, 06:58 AM
It takes sixteen rounds to search the entire hallway. (Secondary Fortitude saves from everyone--still need the second-dose-of-poison initial Fortitude save from Ivyn as well.)

Ireena exclaims, "I found something!" and then, as a section of the south wall swings open, revealing a yawning shaft, adds "Oh!" and jumps back.

[roll0]

Vetril
2014-08-09, 11:15 AM
Gallard compliments himself for the keen eye.

"It seems we stumbled upon a secret passage that connects many different places inside the castle. We might be lucky, as this could allow us to avoid walking through the hallways which, as we know all too well, are guarded. But let's continue down the hallway - dusk might be not too far."

Fortitude saving throws

Gallard: [roll0].

Jonnel: [roll1].

Ionbound
2014-08-09, 12:13 PM
Elena looks down the pit and says, "Agreed. But it's nice to know it's here. Because frankly, if this goes back to the entrance, it will be nice for us to be able to leave quickly."

Fort Save: [roll0]

Kish
2014-08-09, 12:21 PM
"Hm." Ireena steps toward the shaft again and peers down it. "I think more likely, it goes further down. Madam Eva spoke of crypts beneath the castle." Ireena tilts her head and looks up. "It goes up, too. Could be just what we were looking for--if we could fly. As it is, it looks like the only way on from here is the east door."

neoseph7
2014-08-09, 04:07 PM
Ivyn Nadirna

I don't know about flight, but I can send a rope up there and have it knot itself to help us climb up. Where from here do you think that glowing gem is?

Ivyn will chug some antitoxin after the second hit with the powder.
Fort save 1: [roll0]
Fort save 2: [roll1]

Kish
2014-08-09, 04:34 PM
"North. Beyond that, I'm not sure." Ireena looks at the shaft dubiously.

You could animate your rope and tell it to rise to a specific height and flail about randomly trying to tie itself to things, but there's an excellent chance it wouldn't find anything or that the height you gave it wouldn't bring it to another floor, a good chance it would tie itself to a rickety wooden chair or a rock outcropping or otherwise something that wouldn't hold once you put weight on it, and a nonzero chance it would tie itself to OrcusStrahd. Or you could use your boots to levitate up the shaft with it...but that would mean being, at least briefly, alone in an unexplored room in the castle, assuming Strahd hasn't put an antimagic field at the top of the shaft or the equivalent. Let me know what you're doing.

stack
2014-08-10, 07:47 PM
"Perhaps sending someone better able to defend themselves, with a rope for the erst to follow, would be best?"

Kish
2014-08-11, 07:41 PM
Gallard opens the east door. Cobwebs fill the area, obscuring your sight and choking your nostrils with dust. The path from the outer hall continues, leading to the center of the room where a rope dangles from high above. You cannot tell what the rope is attached to; it's too far from the walls to brace yourself against any of them while climbing it.

neoseph7
2014-08-11, 09:45 PM
Ivyn Nadirna

Did anybody notice a bell tower from the outside? That's what I'm thinking here.

Ivyn will explore the room, looking up the rope for any signs of movement. If he finds any webs fresh (as opposed to cobwebs), he returns to the safe side of the beefier party members and warns against spiders.

Kish
2014-08-12, 10:10 AM
[roll0]

It's hard to tell, but you don't think all the webs are old. You see no movement.

stack
2014-08-12, 11:55 AM
Brom watches up the rope for a moment. "I do not trust such a passage...and I do not care for stringing ourselves out to climb it. Let us go on to the next door."

Kish
2014-08-12, 12:05 PM
"You mean back to the shaft, or back to the room with...the painting?" Ireena asks. "This seems to be the end of that corridor--unless there's another secret door."

stack
2014-08-13, 11:08 AM
(Misread the map)

"If we do not wish to venture up or down, I fear there is little else we can do here. Either we find a new avenue to continue our search or we exit and rest. Was there not another passage back before all the secret door?"

Vetril
2014-08-13, 01:15 PM
Jonnel stops for a moment, then objects:

"Well, if it's a bell tower, how comes we don't hear it ringing in the storm?"

Sir Gallard considers Jonnel's words, then nods in agreement.

"You are right. Maybe we should have a look around, before going back."

The knight looks up, shielding his eyes from the dust with his right hand. He moves around, trying to see through the chaotic mass of cobwebs.

"See anything?"

Jonnel joins his friend, eyeing the darkness above them.

Gallard looks up, searching for any light source that might signal an opening that leads outdoor. Jonnel aids Gallard.

Gallard - Spot: [roll0].

Jonnel - Spot (aid another): [roll1].

Kish
2014-08-13, 01:54 PM
"Perhaps we should search the room before we go back to the painting room," Ireena suggests, shuddering as she mentions the painting. "Though I'm not exactly fond of spiders..."

neoseph7
2014-08-15, 07:10 PM
Ivyn Nadirna

Assuming Gallard or Jonnel don't beat him to it, Ivyn will pull on the rope, floating as high up as 5ft to achieve this.

Kish
2014-08-15, 08:00 PM
Ivyn reaches out, grabs the rope, and pulls on it. It can be moved, but with a considerable amount of resistance.

With a mighty effort, Ivyn is able to drag the rope down somewhat. Nothing happens, as of yet anyway; the rope is not immobile, nor has it come loose from something. It feels like you're dragging something heavy along with it. Do you wish to continue pulling, or does anyone react to Ivyn pulling on the rope?

Also at this point, a minute passes from Ivyn and Ireena's second exposure to the poison; Fortitude save from Ivyn (using his antitoxin-boosted save).

[roll]1d20+9

stack
2014-08-18, 07:28 AM
"Would it be wiser to see what it is before pulling it down on our heads?"

Kish
2014-08-18, 01:11 PM
While you're considering what to do, Ireena starts searching the room you're in, methodically clearing away the cobwebs.
[roll0]

Vetril
2014-08-19, 02:22 AM
"Why don't you just fly up with a spell to have a look? I'd say it's unlikely we'll be attacked here - we weren't, so far."

neoseph7
2014-08-19, 05:50 AM
Ivyn Nadirna

Spells like that are... Inefficient. I don't have it prepared. Or in my spell book.

Ivyn will float up the rope, wearing the ring of invisibility if it's owner consents.

Ionbound
2014-08-19, 09:41 AM
Elena slids her ring off and passes it to Ivyn as she says, "Good luck. May Pelor be with you."

Kish
2014-08-19, 09:44 AM
Ivyn levitates up through the cobwebs...

First, Fortitude save (secondary poison exposure)[roll0]
Second, Spot check [roll1]
[roll2][roll3]
(1 is a miss)[roll4]
[roll5][roll6]
(1 is a miss)[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]

As you rise to a height of about thirty feet over your companions' heads through a thick forest of cobwebs, your attention is abruptly grabbed by two massive spiders, each easily twice your size. Each of them lashes at what they perceive displacing the cobwebs; it may be your imagination, but you think at least one of them is thrown to actually see nothing. The first limb to swipe at you misses cleanly, but the other spider slashes you with one claw and, having located you by touch, immediately grips you with all eight of its limbs.

(6 damage, and you're grappled with a grapple check result of 27. It occurs to you that if you turned off the boots, it might well make you too heavy for the spider to hold. Your companions can't see anything through the cobwebs, but they can hear you.)

neoseph7
2014-08-20, 06:38 AM
Ivyn Nadirna

Ivyn withdrawals a vial of alchemist's fire and attempts to smash it into the web between him and the spider.

Ivyn's a small creature. He maybe weighs 50lbs. Pulling the vial (as a light weapon) is a move action. Striking at a -4 penalty into the spider, preferably hitting the web which we all know is flammable.

[roll0] touch attack for [roll1] fire damage. 1 point of splash damage to surrounding spaces (including me).

Uhh guys? We've got spiders. And they have me...

Ionbound
2014-08-20, 08:02 AM
Elena looks up into the cobwebs and swears as she lifts a finger and unleashes a bolt of holy light into the darkness, then lowers it and says, "Well...That's it for those."

Ranged Touch: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Kish
2014-08-20, 09:19 AM
The cobwebs catch fire. The spider holding Ivyn drops him to the floor (no one sees anything, since he's invisible, but you likely hear a thump and either a grunt or a pained cry), and two massive spiders, a foot taller than Ivyn and as wide as they are tall, drop lightly to the floor. The spiders look slightly singed and either very angry, very hungry, or both.
Ivyn takes [roll0] falling damage; I'm not sure how injured that leaves him. Please update your character sheet.
Party initiative:[roll1]
Spider initiative:[roll2]

Kish
2014-08-20, 09:22 AM
One spider charges Elena, the other moves around to flank her.
[roll0][roll1][roll2]
[roll3][roll4][roll5]

Kish
2014-08-20, 09:26 AM
Elena takes 13 damage, and both spiders grapple her.[roll0][roll1]
[roll2][roll3]

To break the first spider's grapple, she needs to beat a grapple roll of 26; to break the second one's grapple, she needs to beat a roll of 35.

PCs' turn.

stack
2014-08-20, 11:11 AM
Brom raises his morningstar and charges the nearest spider.charge [roll0]
damage [roll1]

not much left for spells, so this is what you get.

If Ivyn is in a bad way, he will instead move to heal him burning SMII for [roll2] hp healed

Ionbound
2014-08-20, 03:26 PM
Elena screams as the spiders leave deep cuts on her body, and struggles against them, trying to free herself.

Escape: [roll0]

neoseph7
2014-08-21, 08:40 PM
Ivyn Nadirna

Ivyn will attempt to flail wildly in midair, whilst lowering himself as much as 10ft, in order to put out his own flames. When it is next his turn, it it doesn't appear the spiders are being handled easily by the party, he will throw his rope and animate it around one of the spiders.

I assume the attack action will be next turn.

Ranged touch attack:[roll0] Reflex DC 17 or be entangled.

Vetril
2014-08-22, 12:36 AM
Sir Gallard and Jonnel shout their battlecries, before they swiftly move to surround the frantic close combat. Both try to free Elena by hacking the spiders' legs.
Unfortunately, it is hard for both warriors to tell which of the two vermins is the owner of the hairy limbs they strike.

I'm randomizing since I don't think someone could reliably focus on a single.spider's legs. 1-3 is the spider that original my grappled Ivyn, 4-6 is the other.

Gallard - moves to flank and attacks ([roll0]): [roll1], [roll2].

Jonnel - moves to flank and attacks ([roll3]): [roll4], [roll5].

Kish
2014-08-22, 08:03 AM
Gallard and Jonnel both strike the same spider; Brom lands a glancing blow that is unable to get through the tough hide (to make it clear in game terms what happened, he "missed" due to natural armor). Ireena shrieks, takes a step back, brings her bow to bear, and fires two arrows in quick succession.

[roll0][roll1]
[roll2][roll3]

Her first arrow strikes true, her second flies wide. Both spiders sink their fangs into Elena and drink her blood.

Kish
2014-08-22, 08:09 AM
Elena takes [roll0] points of Constitution drain. The spiders continue trying to hold her; if she tries to break free, next round she needs to beat [roll1] and [roll2].

Note that now Spider #1 is uninjured, Spider #2 clearly wounded though still holding Elena just as hard.

PCs' turn; Ivyn's action already stated.

stack
2014-08-24, 01:22 PM
Brom drops his shield and swings again with both hands, channeling holy might into his blow.aiming for the wounded one, strength domain for +7 str

att [roll0]
damage [roll]1d8+8[roll]

Ionbound
2014-08-24, 01:31 PM
Elena screams as she feels the spiders begin to drain her, and struggles ever harder, likely in vain, to escape.

[roll0]

Vetril
2014-08-25, 02:16 AM
The knight tries to encourage his injured companion.

"Hold on! We're getting them off!"

Eyeing Jonnel, he calls the next action.

"Forget about the legs. Stab it in the body!"

Jonnel obeys, and grabs his sword halfway down the blade. He then proceeds to stab the spider that had already been injured: the point of his sword tries to penetrate the rigid chitin that shields the vermin's body.

Sir Gallard doesn't wait to see the result, and immediately does the same, quickly impaling one of the monsters twice.

Jonnel - attack the injured spider: [roll0], [roll1].

Gallard - full attack the injured spider, or on the other spider if the first is dead: [roll2], [roll3]; [roll4], [roll5].

Kish
2014-08-25, 03:54 AM
Brom's blow wounds the spider sorely this time; Jonnel is still unable to get through its (her?) defenses, but Gallard strikes the spider twice, once very deeply.

Ireena grabs Brom's torch and quickly shoves it at each spider's eyes, the uninjured one first.
[roll0][roll1]
[roll2][roll3]

Making an enraged chittering noise, the spiders let go of Elena. The wounded one lashes at Ireena; the uninjured one is surprised by a rope suddenly wrapping around it from above and doesn't attack anyone yet.

Kish
2014-08-25, 04:04 AM
[roll0][roll1][roll2]
[roll3][roll4][roll5]

The spider's first claw strikes Ireena a nasty slash, but the second claw and its (her?) attempt at a bite are significantly less well-aimed.

(Spider #1, only very lightly singed but potentially entangled. Ivyn visible due to attack. Spider #2, badly injured and menacing Ireena, who is holding Brom's torch.)

PCs' turn.

Ionbound
2014-08-25, 08:03 AM
Staggered, Elena gets to her feet and says, "B-by the Light of Pelor...BEGONE," as she lifts her holy symbol and releases a wave of brilliant light.

Greater Turning: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

stack
2014-08-25, 11:11 AM
Brom continues attacking, though his divine vigor has faded.

att [roll0]
damage [roll1]

Vetril
2014-08-27, 03:13 PM
Methodically, now that their ally is not in immediate danger, the two warriors move to flank the remaining vermin.
Recurring to a proven tactic, they coordinate to strike together, to make the enemy's defense more difficult.

Gallard - move to flank, then attack the last spider: [roll0], [roll1].

Jonnel - move to flank, then attack the last spider: [roll2], [roll3].

neoseph7
2014-08-28, 06:43 AM
Ivyn Nadirna

Ivyn redies a bottle of alchemist's fire should the last spider attempt to flee the melee.

Kish
2014-08-28, 07:23 AM
[roll0]
[roll1][roll2]
[roll3][roll4]

The mostly-uninjured spider shakes off Ivyn's rope. Brom smashes the injured spider to the floor. Gallard fails to penetrate the tough hide of the mostly-uninjured spider, but Jonnel hits it. Elena produces a bright flash of light which seems to annoy the spider, but in an "argh bright light" way, not in a supernatural way. Ivyn pulls out a flask and holds it. Ireena drops the torch, which goes out (when the light from Elena's turning fades, the room is lit only by the burning cobwebs above; not a lasting light source, but it's enough to see by for the moment), picks up her bow again, and fires two arrows at the spider, one of which glances off its carapace and one of which hits.

The spider lashes back at Jonnel, shrieking in a perfect imitation of Elena's voice, "B-by the light of Pelor...BEGONE!"

Kish
2014-08-28, 07:28 AM
[roll0][roll1][roll2]
The spider strikes Jonnel with both its (her?) claws and bites him.

Kish
2014-08-28, 07:32 AM
[roll0][roll1][roll2]
[roll3][roll4]
Jonnel takes 16 damage; the spider also seizes his limbs. He needs to beat a Grapple check of [roll5] if he wants to avoid being grappled.

(PCs' turn.)

stack
2014-08-28, 11:04 AM
Brom takes up a position to help flank with the knights, laying into the remaining spider.[roll0]
damage [roll1]

Vetril
2014-08-30, 06:47 AM
Jonnel loses the grip on his sword as the spider overcomes his defenses. Similarly, his shield remains blocked between their bodies.
The warrior grits his teeth and raises his empty hand; he then proceeds to punch the spider's head with all the strength he can muster.
Gallard aids his companion, and keeps striking the vermin as fast as he can, aiming for the openings in the chitinous armor that encases the monster's body.

Jonnel - unarmed attack against the spider, power attack for 2: [roll0], [roll1].

Gallard - full attack the spider: [roll2], [roll3]; [roll4], [roll5].

Ionbound
2014-08-30, 09:15 AM
Disheartened by her turning attempt's failure, Elena runs at the remaining spider and swing at it, trying to crush it.

[roll0]
[roll1]

neoseph7
2014-08-31, 08:24 AM
Ivyn Nadirna

Whoa whoa whoa! You talk!? Are you absolutely certain you want to be fighting us?

knowledge arcana to identify the creature, specifically if it has enough of a mind to be affected by enchantments.
Knowledge Arcana: [roll0]

Kish
2014-08-31, 10:00 AM
neoseph7 informed me Ivyn will hold his action.

Brom's blow hits the spider, as does Elena; Gallard hits it (her?) twice, though Jonnel is unable to strike anything that seems vulnerable.

Ireena fires two more arrows at the spider.
[roll0][roll1]
[roll2][roll3]

Ireena's two arrows strike home, and the spider relaxes its grip on Jonnel and ceases activity, with its fangs fractions of a centimeter away from his neck. Jonnel is now lying under a dying and unconscious spider; there is no visible threat in this room. Ivyn is still floating 20 feet up holding a flask of alchemist's fire, and if you don't create another light source before the cobwebs burn out you'll be left in the dark.

Ionbound
2014-08-31, 12:28 PM
Elena takes a deep breath and says, "Ugh...I'm not sure I can keep fighting...Those thing drained my blood..."

Vetril
2014-09-01, 05:25 PM
The poor Jonnel crawls out from under the spider, wiping away some of the ichor that splashed on him during the close combat. As he recovers his weapon, he makes a comment:

"Yech. Disgusting."

Gallard stifles a laugh as he looks up, strugglins to see Ivyn under the light of the dying flames.

"I think we're safe here. Do you see anything, up there?"

neoseph7
2014-09-01, 07:00 PM
Ivyn Nadirna

The frazzled gnome slowly floats down and collapses on the floor. Well that was unpleasant. And I didn't take the brunt of the force either. I am however perilously low on useful spells. How safe do you think resting here would be? I fear 'not very' is going to be the answer.

To Gallard: I didn't see anything other than webs heading up. I could take up a torch and burn some more webs. Speaking of, it's about to get dark. Anybody have a perpetually glowing weapon?

Kish
2014-09-01, 07:13 PM
"I think trying to rest in the castle would be even more dangerous than trying to rest outside the castle," Ireena says. "This is a secret area, so maybe, if we could somehow close the fireplace wall and then relight the fire in the fireplace, and without trapping ourselves here, Strahd might not think to look for us here...sorry, that doesn't sound like my most practical idea."

stack
2014-09-03, 11:04 AM
Brom considers the question, then shrugs. "We are weary and drained. Let us go back to the house and recuperate. Besides, it is possible the village could be attacked again and I would rather be there to defend it."

Vetril
2014-09-03, 11:31 AM
Gallard seems unsure.

"I don't think we have the time to reach the village before the sun sets, and I'd rather not be caught by the night out in the wilderness; don't forget about the remaining werewolves - they still lurk in the forest."

Jonnel looks at Brom and Elena.

"You are priests - do you think that holy ground like the Chapel we passed earlier would keep the Count at bay? Either way, we must retrieve the statuette there, so we must pass through it once again."

Kish
2014-09-03, 11:41 AM
Remembering that your light sources were still diminished when you were in the chapel, it's possible the Count would be weakened in the chapel, nearly certain that he wouldn't like being there, but extremely unlikely that he would be actually unable to enter it.

stack
2014-09-03, 11:49 AM
Brom shrugs. "Strahd may be reluctant to enter, but I doubt it would stop him entirely. If we were to stay in the castle, that would be the best place. Whether it would be safer than making camp in the wild, I could not say."

Kish
2014-09-03, 12:19 PM
"I think we should leave the castle," Ireena says. "Trying to sleep here sounds like a bad idea."

neoseph7
2014-09-03, 08:34 PM
Ivyn Nadirna

I am in fact better equipped to deal with werewolves than the unliving and their pet tarantulas. If camping outside for eight hours doesn't offend, I would request such.

Ionbound
2014-09-03, 08:41 PM
Elena nods and says, "Sleeping in a vampire's lair is foolish. Let's return to the village before the sun gets too low."

Kish
2014-09-04, 10:05 AM
Relighting Brom's torch (assumed action), you walk out through the fireplace, Gallard's sword flaring again as you pass through the room with the painting and the fireplace and fading as you head back through the northern corridor and the statue room to the stairs down. Descending, you emerge from the secret door and go west through the chamber with the skeletons and down the second stairway, Gallard's sword flaring again as you pass through the skeleton chamber but fading before you get very far down the stairs. You pass the landing with the statues and arrive back on the first level of the keep, and there you need to decide whether you're heading to the chapel to pick up the statue the ghost named the Icon of Ravenloft, or leaving the keep immediately.

(Also let me know if you did anything else I missed on the way back. Maps: https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1q1Ut5WCx20qdRm6r8PYbxFtnGSNO2KYDfz2WzhjGQ_A/edit?usp=sharing , https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1y7Dgs9bWkp9LDkdbq_xQXEQGNd4u14FZ2J18gJblXbg/edit?usp=sharing , https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1c_rclVbC41dOH7UEkZxy67Rpbj8O1c44MkgyzK1ocgQ/edit?usp=sharing . Gallard's sword: Not glowing.)

stack
2014-09-04, 11:05 AM
"Perhaps the icon would be worth bringing with us?"

Ionbound
2014-09-04, 02:26 PM
Elena nods and says, "That does, indeed, seem prudent."

Kish
2014-09-05, 04:41 AM
You go back down the east corridor to the chapel, and Elena lifts the icon from the altar; another golden flash fills the section of the room in front of the altar, but this time Ivyn has stayed far back enough to avoid being injured.

Then you return through the keep's front entrance. The rope holding the portcullis up appears to have been cut, necessitating holding it up again to pass through. You watch carefully for green slime as you leave the castle, but luckily no more falls on you. Outside, the horses aren't apparent, either alive or dead; hopefully they retreated to the relative safety of Barovia rather than coming to harm, but either way it looks like you're walking to wherever you go next. It's late afternoon, and will have been dark for some time by the time you reach the town if you take the road you took to get here.

Map: http://chadfauxsho.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/barovia_playersmap.jpg . Madam Eva's encampment is directly north of Tser Pool.

Gallard's sword stays dark through all of this.

Vetril
2014-09-06, 05:01 AM
Jonnel looks around.

"Where are the horses?"

Gallard shakes his head.

"All I know is that Valiant's not nearby... Or dead. They have probably been held up, or were scared by something that happened here while we were inside. Either way, we better take advantage of the remaining daylight and move quickly, if we want to return to the village. I still don't think it's the best option we have, but we can make it work."

stack
2014-09-06, 07:58 AM
Brom nods his assent.

Ionbound
2014-09-06, 10:08 AM
Elena nods as well and says, "Indeed...The country becomes much more dangerous as the sun sets."

neoseph7
2014-09-06, 12:59 PM
Ivyn Nadirna

How far from here did the horses go? Should we go off a bit and search for them? I assume a few minutes spent liking for them will cut our transit time drastically.

Kish
2014-09-06, 01:32 PM
"Would you know if the horses were close enough to be easily found, Gallard?" Ireena asks.

Vetril
2014-09-07, 04:44 PM
Gallard shakes his head.

"Not all of them. I could percieve Valiant's presence if it is close enough. The other horses I wouldn't detect."

Kish
2014-09-07, 04:49 PM
"But it's not very likely that he would be further away than the other horses, is it? It sounds like we should start walking toward home, and only look for them if you sense Valiant."

Kish
2014-09-08, 07:00 AM
You leave Castle Ravenloft and head back to Barovia. About halfway there, the sun sets; even before that, you feel like you're being watched, but you can't see anyone. The sight of the half moon makes Elena feel odd...but it might be all in her head, it's hard to tell.

As you approach the town, Gallard picks up Valiant's presence at the limit of his perception; he seems shaken but not injured, and ahead of you.

Ionbound
2014-09-08, 09:04 AM
Elena rubs her head as she looks at the moon and says, "Ugh...Anyone else feel a bit...off?"

neoseph7
2014-09-08, 11:08 AM
Ivyn Nadirna

Everyday.

There is a level to which the influence of supernatural powers on one's self is based upon perception. It's been studied, but matters of the heart ill fit the annals of academic study. So I'll try not to bore or frighten you with the results.

As I've seen it, part of being evil is a drive for power. A sudden in flux of power, such as the beastial rage of turning into a wolf which I believe to be your current fear, could lead you down a path of slaughter. If that were who you really were. I don't think anyone here believes it and you're only frightening yourself into believing it.

If it would make you feel better though, prior to the next full moon you and I could have a few concentration sessions. With some practice we can try to set up your subconscious to be more susceptible to specifically my enchantments. Then if you really do go berserk, I would have the power to keep you from hurting others, or at the least redirect you towards an uninhabited forest. Considering our current quest involves a powerful vampire with superior skills in both stealth and domination, developing a way to bypass your mental shields is almost certainly a bad idea for the immediate future.

So try to relax. You'll be fine.