PDA

View Full Version : Expedition to Castle Ravenloft IC

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Kish
2013-10-29, 02:07 PM
The adventure begins in the Weary Horse Inn in the village of Vallaki at sunset. Outside, a clammy fog creeps over the land, but inside, the fire is warm and the food and drink are good.
For an inn's common room, it's quiet. It holds no more than a handful of customers. They keep their voices low, and even the clink of their mugs seems subdued as the fog gathers outside. When the door swings open, every head turns to see who has arrived.
The new arrival loudly stamps the mud off his boots in the doorway, then strides confidently over, throwing a letter down on the table in front of you.
"Barovia is in need of heroes," he says in an accent you don't recognize. "You'll do as well as any." Without another word, he turns to leave.

(This assumes you're all sitting at the same table; if not, he'll deposit the letter at any table that has more than one of you, but still seems to be addressing all of you.)

stack
2013-10-29, 02:17 PM
Brom stops, mug half-way to mouth, caught short by the odd interruption. He blinks and sets his drink back on the table. "Heroes, eh?"

He opens the letter, spreading it out for any that cares to read its contents, stroking his golden beard as he reads quickly.

MechaSimon
2013-10-29, 05:01 PM
"Heroes." Slayer liked that word, and hoped he live up to such a title. He hoped, as well, that he would become more comfortable speaking to his fellow adventurers. There was another task for him in Barovia; one that may require their assistance. He needed only to find the right opportunity to share it with them.

"Brom, may you please summarize what's in the letter?"

Batpope Scott
2013-10-29, 10:25 PM
Alastor looks at the letter dropped at his table and decides to walk over to the group who'd been stopped at as well. He a addresses the men in a calm low-tone, stating "If you're intent on helping, I might be able to assist you gentlemen."

Vetril
2013-10-30, 10:25 AM
Sir Gallard calls Jonnel, who seems to be in a conversation with the inn's maid. The Knight speaks as he approaches the table, addressing the gathered people.

"I'm sorry, good priest; I couldn't help but overhear. I am Sir Gallard Ravensgate. If I may, I'd like to see the letter."

He moves behind Brom, leaning over the table to look at the letter's content.

stack
2013-10-30, 11:52 AM
Brom shifts to allow the others a clear view. and once the contents are posted, we can react :smallbiggrin:

Kish
2013-10-30, 01:10 PM
The letter reads (each sentence is indented, and the signature is on the righthand side of the letter, not the left):

Hail to thee of might and valor:
I, a lowly servant of the township of Barovia, send honor to thee. We plead for thy so desperately needed assistance within our community.
Our village is nestled in the Svalich Woods, an ancient forest that has long lay quiet with the weight of ages on its shoulders. But recent nights have brought the howls of wolves to our ears, and the night of the last full moon brought full worse out of the forest. Enormous wolves attacked with unnatural savagery, killing many of us and leaving many more wounded.
The love of my life, Ireena Kolyana, was one of those wounded, and I fear for her. Her injury refuses our healing remedies, and she languishes abed.
There is much wealth in this community. I offer all that might be had to thee and thy fellows if thou shalt but answer my desperate plea.
Come quickly, for I dread the rising of the next full moon! All that I have shall be thine!
Kolyan Indirovich
Burgomaster of Barovia

As you gather around Brom and Slayer's table and read it, the messenger leaves the inn.

stack
2013-10-30, 02:29 PM
Brom's face reddens in anger. "Savage beasts attacking the innocent? I had intended to travel in that direction before, but now I shall make haste. Such villainy cannot stand. Perhaps the Shining One will allow me to heal this woman where they cannot. I have no claim on any of you, but my intentions are stated and I would welcome the aid of any man of good will. I would depart at once!"

Vetril
2013-10-30, 03:39 PM
Sir Gallard vehemently agrees with Brom.

"Spoken like a true man of noble intentions, good sir. Me and my companion shall join you, and together we might still vanquish the monsters that plague these people."

He stops for a moment, thinking.

"Yet I wonder what their lord is doing, if their burgomeister has no choice but to ask the help of strangers."

MechaSimon
2013-10-30, 05:25 PM
Slayer reads the letter slowly, making sure to comprehend each sentence before moving on to the next. These "enormous wolves" may be the werewolves Helene Maurgen mentioned. He turned to the party, hoping they could hear him, or care to, over their current discussion.

""If I may interrupt for a moment, that is, if I may speak..." He took a brief moment to gather himself. ""On my way to Vallaki I met a woman named Helene Maurgen. Her husband Jeref came to Berovia three months ago to hunt werewolves, and he has since gone missing. If I'm right, he may have gone to the Svalich Woods. I don't mean to impose, but I would like to look for him while we drive away the wolves and find a cure for Ireena Kolyana."

Batpope Scott
2013-10-30, 07:19 PM
Alastor leans a bit more heavily on his staff, but states "I have my own reasons for going there, but this seems more pressing. I will help as I can."

Kish
2013-10-30, 07:22 PM
(You can spend as long as you want in the inn, but there will be no further external input here this in-game night; if you say something to an NPC I'll respond, of course. When you all either go to bed or set out, I'll post again.)

Batpope Scott
2013-10-30, 07:40 PM
Alastor leans a bit more heavily on his staff, but states "I have my own reasons for going there, but this seems more pressing. I will help as I can."

Vetril
2013-10-31, 05:57 AM
Sir Gallard nods at Alastor in appreciation.

"Good, we shall take all the help you can offer to go to the bottom of this."

He then proceeds to address everyone at the table.

"It is decided then: we ride at dawn! You better sleep, my friends, while you still have the chance, for I foresee long, dangerous nights in front of us."

stack
2013-10-31, 07:25 AM
"We can certainly look for this man while we are there. I wouldn't hear of not. I would have left yet tonight, but the blessings of dawn may make the way clearer. I suppose fresh eyes and legs may serve us better."ready to fast-forward to morning

MechaSimon
2013-10-31, 12:11 PM
Slayer smiles, pleased that the party has agreed to look for Jeref Maurgen.

"I thank you all. It will certainly put Helene's mind at ease. If there is nothing else, I wish to rest until morning."

I am also ready to fast-forward.

Batpope Scott
2013-10-31, 05:27 PM
"The cover of night is the tool of man's greatest foes. I would rather keep my insides where they belong, tonight." Alastor then resigned to a room.
I'm also ready to go.

Kish
2013-10-31, 05:39 PM
The next morning, you set out together along the Old Svalich Road. Black pools of water stand like dark mirrors about the muddy roadway. A pall of thick, cold mist spreads over the ground. Giant tree trunks stand guard on both sides of the road, their branches clawing at the mists. In every direction the fog grows thicker and the forest seems more oppressive.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Kish
2013-10-31, 05:41 PM
Gray in the fog, high stone pillars loom up from the impenetrable woods on both sides of the road. Huge iron gates hang from the stonework, dew clinging to their rusting bars. Standing before the pillars are two stone statues of armed guardians with wicked polearms. Their carved heads lie among the weeds at their feet, neatly broken from the stone shoulders.

Batpope Scott
2013-10-31, 06:02 PM
Alastor mumbles as he flicks a wand towards the statues. He sighs as he looks about the field, giving no explanation to his action.
Using a wand of detect magic and trying to ascertain if thar be magic aboot.
Spellcraft checks, if we get that far.
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

After about half a minute of glaring, he opens up with a comment. "The statues have a spell upon them I cannot identify."

stack
2013-10-31, 07:23 PM
Brom shrugs, "It could be some old ward, guarding the road. It is obviously in poor repair so I doubt it is anything active. If you think it may be dangerous we could simply try to go around, unless there is no path."Brom doesn't have ranks in spellcraft. stupid 2/level + INT penalty!

Kish
2013-10-31, 07:29 PM
You could try to go around the gates rather than through them; it's foggy, but it doesn't look like you're on the edge of a cliff or anything like that.

None of you has yet approached the statues or the gates.

stack
2013-10-31, 08:04 PM
Brom shrugs and walks up, giving the gate a solid push to see if it will open.

Vetril
2013-10-31, 08:10 PM
Sir Gallard directs his mount closer to the gates to examine the statues, looking for symbols carved into the stone which might clarify the meaning of those objects.

"I see no reason why someone would block the path with foul sorcery, but let's have a better look at these old and silent sentinels."

I look for heraldic and religious symbols my character might recognize.

Knowledge (Nobility and Royalty): [roll0]
Knowledge (Religion): [roll1]

Kish
2013-10-31, 08:24 PM
As Brom and Sir Gallard approach the statues, the gates, with a great creaking noise, open wide.

Sir Gallard finds no markings. They appear to be statues of tall humanoids; the heads are too badly worn away to tell the specific species.

stack
2013-10-31, 09:18 PM
"Simple enough. Let us be on then"

Vetril
2013-11-01, 05:10 AM
"Aye. It seems we are welcome in these lands. Let us continue, my friends."

Batpope Scott
2013-11-01, 06:34 AM
"An inviting gesture, but I know better than to think we are truly welcome."

Alastor walks behind his team, a firm grip on his walking stick as they advance.

MechaSimon
2013-11-01, 01:23 PM
Slayer follows the party past the gates, saying nothing. He focuses his senses to perceive outward threats, barely registering his companions' words as he listens for any other sounds in the woods.

I'll just post a quick Listen check here. I'm not sure if the previous roll was Spot or Listen, so please disregard if it was rolled earlier or if it is otherwise not applicable.

[roll0]

Kish
2013-11-01, 02:26 PM
When the last of you (Slayer or Alastor, apparently) reaches a point around 50 feet past the gates, the gates swing closed again with another loud, rusty creak.

The trail continues on through the woods, but it looks like the woods end not too far up ahead.
By the way, what marching order are you moving in?

MechaSimon
2013-11-01, 02:55 PM
I was thinking of Slayer being behind Gallard and Brom. In relation to Alastor he can be either in front of him or behind - Slayer has lowish AC, but very high movement. If he's behind Alastor then that means anyone coming from the back will still have to go through him to get to the Wizard.

Vetril
2013-11-01, 03:19 PM
Gallard leads, his cohort Jonnel can guard a side. They both ride heavy warhorses.

stack
2013-11-01, 03:26 PM
Brom walks in the middle of the pack, better to pop a prot evil 30'

Gallard
Jonnel Brom
Alastor
Slayer

"Come, this dreary wood breaks soon. Perhaps our destination is near. Magic gates with rusty hinges may spook in the shadow but will laugh about it in the light."

Kish
2013-11-01, 06:53 PM
Not much further, you leave the forest behind and enter what appears, as best you can see through the mounting fog, to be a small town. The buildings here at the edge of town look abandoned, burned out, or barricaded. Garbage litters the ground, and a carrion stench assaults your nose. Ahead, an overturned haycart blocks the street. Sir Gallard's sword at his side begins to glow blue.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Vetril
2013-11-01, 11:25 PM
Actually I guess his sword would be sheated since Gallard has no reason to expect an attack from the villagers. Would the light still be noticed?

Batpope Scott
2013-11-02, 01:58 AM
Alastor squints at the village, peering into the mists for signs of the trap he suspected in the village. "This village has not fared well of late. I would keep my eyes open, if I were you."

Kish
2013-11-02, 05:21 AM
Actually I guess his sword would be sheated since Gallard has no reason to expect an attack from the villagers. Would the light still be noticed?
I think you'd probably notice that there's light spilling out of the top of the sheath...but how efficiently the sheath blocks light is up to you.

The fog is thick enough to make the light stand out, and reduces visibility to a few dozen feet.

Vetril
2013-11-02, 06:57 AM
As Jonnel looks around, he notices the knight's sword eerie glow.

"Gallard! Your sword!" he shouts.

As Sir Gallard realizes what's happening, he takes the time to address his companions while readying his lance.

"Brace yourselves! The dead have risen from the grave!"

Both Jonnel and Gallard look around, hoping to locate the enemies.

Sir Gallard - Spot: [roll0].
Jonnel - Spot: [roll1].

Kish
2013-11-02, 08:57 AM
None of you can make out anything moving through the fog.

stack
2013-11-02, 12:19 PM
Brom looks over the dreary scene. "If this is our destination, it has indeed fared poorly as of late."

After the warning of the dead, he kneels briefly, "May the light protect us from the evil. Stand close and be ready. The restless dead hold no terror for the servants of light."magic circle against evil (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/magicCircleAgainstEvil.htm) on self, 10' emanation for 60 minutes, +2 deflection AC and saves vs evil, protected from mind control

Brom Sunborn (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=693074)
M NG Human Cleric, Level 6, Init +3, HP 45/45, Speed 20
AC 19, Touch 9, Flat-footed 19, Fort +7, Ref +1, Will +8, Base Attack Bonus 4
MW Morningstar +8 (1d8+2, x2)
Fullplate +1, MW (also holy symbol) Light Steel Shield (+9 Armor, +1 Shield, -1 Dex)
Abilities Str 14, Dex 8, Con 14, Int 8, Wis 17, Cha 14
Condition Magic circle against evil 10' radius +2 deflection AC & saves
Turning CHeck:
-Check 1d20+7 (7 = 2 Cha + 2 Know Religion +3 circlet of persuasion) count as level 7 from Ephod
-Damage 1.5*(2d6+12) (12 = 6 level +1 ephod +2 CHA +3 circlet of persuasion) He stands, reading his mace as a faint glow surrounds him, reaches out several paces.

Kish
2013-11-03, 07:21 AM
Party initiative:[roll0]
Enemy initiative:[roll1]
Time of day: Around 3 PM
The overturned haycart is 40 feet to your west when you see three humanoid figures around it. They're shambling toward you. Two animals, who resemble a cross between an overlarge rat and a wolf, approach from south of the haycart; their glittery eyes are fixed on you, ignoring the closer figures.

[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]

Kish
2013-11-03, 07:34 AM
While the monsters are slow to react, the party manages to be even slower. The humanoid figures, now clearly recognizable as zombies, lurch toward you with their clawed hands threateningly upraised. The two strange animals charge Sir Gallard, scrabbling for purchase on exposed flesh.

First strange animal claws Gallard:[roll0][roll1]
Second strange animal claws Gallard:[roll2][roll3]

Kish
2013-11-03, 07:37 AM
Critical threat roll:[roll0]
Damage for crit:[roll1]
The first beast's claw gashes Sir Gallard painfully, the second one scrabbles ineffectually at his armor.

(Gallard takes 2 damage. The zombies end their turn 10 feet away from Gallard, looking ready to attack any of you who they could reach.)

MechaSimon
2013-11-03, 02:18 PM
Slayer remains calm as the monsters appear, even as they charge at Gallard. It would not help his companions for him to react thoughtlessly. Focusing his senses once more, he sees an animated, skeletal corpse approaching Alastor from the right. He calls out to the party:

"More undead to the north! Skeletons!"

Slayer then steps forward, placing himself between Alastor and the skeleton.

Slayer will move 10' to the right of Alastor, and will Ready a melee attack if the skeleton is hostile and within range. Please let me know if I did anything incorrectly. Thanks!

Gallard
Jonnel Brom
Alastor Slayer

Vetril
2013-11-03, 04:27 PM
Gallard grunts as the beast finds his flesh. He then proceeds to thrust his lance at a zombie, while his horse snorts as it tries to trample and bite the nearby beasts.

Gallard - full attacks a zombie with his lance: [roll0], [roll1]; [roll2], [roll3]

Valiant - full attacks the beast that injured Gallard (2 hooves and 1 bite): [roll4], [roll5]; [roll6], [roll7]; [roll8], [roll9]

Jonnel moves to Gallard's side, and shouts while using his own lance to strike at a different undead:

"Ravensgate!"

Jonnel - attacks a different zombie with his lance: [roll10], [roll11]

Batpope Scott
2013-11-03, 09:23 PM
Alastor mumbles his incantations as he summons a magic web to envelop the group of zombies.Casting Web and trying to nab as many of the undead as I can without hitting my allies.

"Beware! Something is strange about the pallor of these undead!"

stack
2013-11-04, 09:25 AM
Brom holds his shield high, the golden glow streaming forth ever brighter. The skin of the undead begins to burn as he strides forward, swinging his morningstar at the rat-creature assaulting the brave Sir Gallard.

move to flank the rat and standard action to attack
att [roll0] (includes flank)
damage [roll1]

free to turn undead, (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm#turnOrRebukeUndead) using sun domain for a greater turning, 60' radius
turning level check[roll2] 8 max HD
turning damage [roll3]*1.5

30 HD of undead below level 8 are destroyed

Kish
2013-11-04, 12:55 PM
Gallard's mount smashes the beast that clawed Gallard into the ground and tears into it with his teeth. Brom smashes the other beast to the ground (assumed action change; let me know if you would stick to attacking the already-dying first beast). The zombies all collapse to the ground, and so, just as it starts to move, does the skeleton Slayer saw. Alastor moves to cast a web but cancels the spell on observing that there are no longer enemies there (assumed action change; let me know if you would stick to casting the web at the no-longer-animated corpses).

Three more zombies lurch up from the west; two end their turn 25 feet from you, claws upraised and ready, the third ends its turn 30 feet from you, behind one of the others.

MechaSimon
2013-11-04, 03:07 PM
Slayer sees the skeleton fall, but remains cautious. He peers into the alleyway, checking for any other enemies to the north.

His goal is to protect Alastor, so I apologize if he has not been able to contribute thus far. He may have a hard time against zombies. However, if nothing else happens this turn, he will engage them next turn.

Slayer, with Darkvision if applicable, will make two Move Action Spot Checks down the alleyway. He is 10' closer than he was before.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Vetril
2013-11-04, 04:58 PM
Seeing more zombies approach, Gallard and Jonnel decide to make good use of their horses. They both charge the zombies, lowering their lances to impale the undeads and break the small group before more can join the fight.

As he rides to meet the enemy, the knight encourages his party:

"Be strong, my companions! Jonnel, to me!"

Gallard - charge one of the zombies that are 25 ft away: [roll0], [roll1]*2.

Valiant - charge Gallard's zombie: [roll2], [roll3].

Jonnel - charge the other zombie that is 25 ft away: [roll4], [roll5]*2.

Pips - charge Jonnel's zombie: [roll6], [roll7].

stack
2013-11-04, 05:36 PM
The searing light fades as Brom lowers his shield, shaking the gore from his morningstar as he follow the knights, albeit at a slower pace, limited by his armor and his own legs. Seeing he will not be in position to attack before the zombies can react, he move to flank them. double move to get next to or behind one of the zombies without provoking an AOO

Batpope Scott
2013-11-06, 07:15 AM
Alastor decides to open fire with a ray, intent on damaging the undead, but holds back his better spell for the moment.
casting Disrupt Undead at the zombie in back as I think it's suspicious.

[roll0] Ranged Touch Attack
[roll1] Damage

Kish
2013-11-06, 07:33 AM
Slayer can see the back of the alley; it's 20 feet deep. The bones of the skeleton are at the back of it; nothing else is visible.

Both lances strike, as does Valiant. Neither zombie appears ready to collapse; it's hard to tell how damaged a zombie is. Brom moves next to [roll0]if it's odd, the more-damaged one Gallard attacked; if it's even, the less-damaged one Jonnel attacked. He doesn't provoke an attack of opportunity...but he does trigger the zombie's readied action to attack any enemy who moves within reach.
[roll1]

Kish
2013-11-06, 07:42 AM
The more-damaged front zombie swings at Brom and misses. The beam from Alastor's hand strikes the zombie in the back, but makes no difference to its actions as it lurches forward to swing at Brom. The less-damaged front zombie pulls itself off the lance and moves to attack Jonnel.
Attacking Brom: [roll0] Damage:[roll1]
Attacking Jonnel: [roll2] Damage:[roll3]

Kish
2013-11-06, 07:44 AM
The animated corpse's fist would strike Jonnel, were he not warded, but cannot reach him.

For convenience, let's call the more-damaged front zombie Zombie 1 (it's shorter than more-damaged front zombie), the less-damaged front zombie Zombie 2, and the barely-damaged formerly-back zombie Zombie 3.

PCs' turn.

Batpope Scott
2013-11-06, 08:36 AM
Alastor takes a slightly less direct approach as he attempts to take control of the least damaged of the three.
Casting Command Undead on Zombie 3, which is a DC 18 Will save if it's intelligent.

(OOC: This next part is assuming nothing goes wrong and he has control)

The wizard issues a command to his newly controlled zombie. "Stand Still, undead creature!"

stack
2013-11-06, 12:57 PM
As the dead flail ineffecively against his white armor, leaving streaks of dirt and rot, Brom raises his morningstar and strikes. "Fall, dead thing."attack zombie 1 [roll0]
damage [roll1]

Should have cast magic weapon before setting out. Stupid.

Vetril
2013-11-07, 04:11 AM
As for the knight and his attendant, they both drop the now useless spears, and draw their swords; the entire blade of Sir Gallard's weapon shines of a cold blue light, reflecting in the eyes of the walking dead.
The warhorses continue kicking and biting, as they have been trained to do.

Gallard and Jonnel drop their spears and draw their swords.

Valiant - full attacks the same zombie of the previous turn: [roll0] [roll1], [roll2] [roll3], [roll4] [roll5] [roll6]

Pips - full attacks the same zombie of the previous turn: [roll7] [roll8], [roll9] [roll10], [roll11] [roll12] [roll13]

MechaSimon
2013-11-07, 01:20 PM
Confident that there are no more undead in the alleyway, Slayer turns to face the zombies. He darts forward, his steps swift and sure.

As he reaches the zombies, he attempts to connect with a wild, arcing swing. An overhand right, delivered with full force.

Attack on Zombie 1, or Zombie 2 only if Zombie 1 is killed by someone else.

[roll0] [roll1]

Kish
2013-11-07, 02:08 PM
[roll0]
[roll1][roll2]
[roll3][roll4]
Brom and Slayer both strike Zombie 1, who looks quite tattered but isn't falling. Pips strikes Zombie 2 once.

Zombie 1 attacks Brom again; Zombie 2 attacks Jonnel again. Zombie 3 stands still.

Kish
2013-11-07, 02:09 PM
Zombie 1 strikes Brom, who takes 8 points of damage and feels oddly queasy for a second; make a Fortitude save.

PCs' turn.

stack
2013-11-07, 02:18 PM
fort [roll0]

Brom rolls with the blow, choking down the sick feeling, and strikes again.att [roll1]
damage [roll2]

MechaSimon
2013-11-07, 02:57 PM
Slayer follows his overhand right with a combination attack. First a left hook to the zombie's temple, then a right uppercut to its chin.

Flurry of Blows on Zombie 1 if it's still standing, on Zombie 2 if it's not.

[roll0] [roll1]
[roll2] [roll3]

Batpope Scott
2013-11-07, 08:26 PM
Alastor attempts to exercise his control over the undead, though he worries about the limitations of the mindless creature. "Attack the undead!"

He then summons a ghostly armor to protect himself.
Casting Extended Mage Armor

Vetril
2013-11-08, 06:22 AM
Sir Gallard makes Valiant turn towards Zombie 2. The warhorse waits for the knight to strike his blows against the new enemy, before bucking to hit Zombie 1 with both its hooves.

"The light shall prevail! Back to your grave, restless souls!"

Gallard - full attacks zombie 2: [roll]1d10+2d6+3, [roll]1d10+2d6+3.

Valiant - full attacks zombie 1 with its rear legs: [roll2] [roll3], [roll4] [roll5]

Jonnel attacks Zombie 2 with his sword, raining a mighty blow on the undead creature. Pips continues to defend its rider at the best of its ability.

Jonnel - full attacks zombie 2: [roll6] [roll7].

Pips - full attacks zombie 2: [roll8] [roll9], [roll10] [roll11], [roll12] [roll13]

Vetril
2013-11-08, 06:24 AM
Correcting the magical sword damage rolls - I figured I could add 2 rolls together in the same tag.

[roll0]+[roll1], [roll2]+[roll3]

Kish
2013-11-08, 07:38 AM
Brom's nausea subsides and he smashes Zombie 1 to the ground; it does not rise. Slayer's left hook strikes Zombie 2's temple, spinning it around, and Gallard's glowing sword tears through it, flashing brightly as the zombie turns into a cloud of disgusting chunks of pale blue meat.

Zombie 3 hesitates, as if unsure how to follow Alastor's order. Then it raises its right hand in the air and smashes it into its own temple.
[roll0]
The only visible foe remaining, insofar as it can still be considered a foe, is Zombie 3.

stack
2013-11-08, 08:14 AM
Brom raises his weapon reflexively as he faces the last zombie, but the signs that it is controlled are impossible to miss. "I do not like using such foul tools...but the state of the village is dire. Mind that if we are again surrounded, I will not hesitate to call down the light and it will not discriminate one walking corpse from another."turning has friendly fire. In the sudden stillness, he tries to discern the best direction to go.listen [roll0]
spot [roll1]

Batpope Scott
2013-11-08, 08:35 AM
Alastor sighs at the Zombie's self-abuse and uses a tone of authority to command the creature again. "Stop attacking. Follow me."

The mage looks to the cleric and simply states "I will mourn the monster none in that event. I am no necromancer, I just have a long history of fighting them."

stack
2013-11-08, 09:41 AM
Brom's gold-faced helm nods. "Then we are agreed. Let us continue on, there will likely be more."

Vetril
2013-11-08, 02:49 PM
Gallard dismounts to retrieve his lance, his sword already back in the scabbard.

"Aye, I fear the same. I hope we can find the people that live in this village. They can't be all dead. I propose we pacify the streets and then search every house."

He looks around.

"Maybe the people have fled to whatever temple this town has. I heard these poor souls can't enter holy ground. If only there wasn't all this fog, we could better assess the situation."

MechaSimon
2013-11-09, 03:27 AM
Noticing Brom's attempt to find a way through the fog, Slayer moves to assist him.

Spot: [roll0]
Listen: [roll1]

As he reaches Brom, Slayer opens his pack and pulls out a potion, remembering that Brom was wounded during the battle. He does not yet extend it fully, but merely shows it, reminding everyone that it is there.

"I know that you have powerful healing, but just let me know if you ever need one of my potions."

Slayer currently has 2 Potions of Cure Moderate Wounds.

Kish
2013-11-09, 10:00 AM
As you proceed to the west through the fog (the zombie can only move 30 feet per round), it looks like there's a town square up ahead, but all is not well. Rough barricades block most of the access to the town square; however, the eastern barricade, the one directly ahead of you, has been breached, and zombies are swarming through the opening (moving away from you into the square). A woman in half-plate near the center of the town square valiantly fights the zombies, but she is heavily outnumbered.
[roll0]
Party initiative: [roll1]
Enemy initiative: [roll2]
Half-plate clad woman initiative: [roll3]

Party wins initiative.

stack
2013-11-09, 01:58 PM
"I thank you for the offer, but it is best you keep them in case I should ever be unable to help. I carry a wand for healing wounds when I must conserve my divine gift."

Seeing the woman's plight, he wastes no time charging forward, morningstar high. "The daylight comes! Hold out, aid is at hand."not sure on the distance. If possible he charges the zombies at the barricade (20' move), if not then double move toward them (40')

if charging [roll0]
damage [roll1]

if he is reasonably close, burning two turn attempts for a greater turning per disciple of the sun (hopefully far enough not to hit our zombie but doing it anyway if it hits at least 4 or 5 others)
turn check [roll2] up to 6 HD
damage [roll3] * 1.5= 31 HD of undead

MechaSimon
2013-11-09, 03:00 PM
Slayer looks over the scene, first at his companions, then at the woman in the town square. Determining that there is little threat of the party being flanked, he rushes to aid the woman.

Slayer will move towards the woman at 50' speed, and attack the closest hostile zombie. He will not move past any threatened squares or provoke Attacks of Opportunity.

[roll0] [roll1]

Vetril
2013-11-09, 06:01 PM
Sir Gallard and Jonnel charge side by side, lowering their lances as the hooves of their mounts resonate like thunder. A frightening sight indeed.

"The good people and the Ravensgate!"

"The ravens fly!"

Both Jonnel and Gallard charge the nearest zombies.

Gallard - [roll0], [roll1]*2

Valiant - [roll2], [roll3]

Jonnel - [roll4], [roll5]*2

Pips - [roll6], [roll7]

Batpope Scott
2013-11-09, 08:28 PM
Alastor points a finger at the crowd and commands "Charge the Undead!"

He waves a hand about before summoning a bolt of lightning through the crowd.
Using Storm Bolt to try and hit the largest line of them I can without tagging allies. The Feat description doesn't mention a save given.

EDIT: Botched the roll, going in OOC.

Kish
2013-11-10, 08:07 AM
Brom moves over to the woman; as his shield flares, the four zombies between you and her, the one zombie starting to lurch forward at Alastor's command, and a zombie off to the north trying to break down the barricaded door of a building that looks like a tavern all collapse to the pavestones.

Gallard, Jonnel, their respective mounts, and Slayer all wind up veering a little to the south to reach a still-standing zombie without having to go around the woman. Slayer misses, the other four strike true; the zombie they strike looks quite tattered, but shows no pain as it retaliates against Gallard. Alastor's line of lightning strikes that zombie and a zombie about ten feet behind it.

The woman looks briefly taken aback as the zombie she was about to swing her sword at collapses, but three more zombies converge on her, one moving around a well to come up from the south. She attacks one of them immediately, shouting, "Pelor!"

[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll]1d20+6]
[roll5][roll6]
[roll7][roll8]
[roll9][roll10]
[roll11][roll12]
[roll]1d20+6

As the zombies swing wildly at the woman and she swings back at them, it resembles a slapstick comedy routine, with everyone falling over themselves and managing not to hurt anyone else. Not a single blow on either side in the cluster lands.

Vetril, Slayer, and Alastor see another zombie approaching from the west side of the well.

Vetril
2013-11-11, 08:17 AM
Jonnel drops his lance and draws his sword, striking the zombie. His horse helps him bring down the creature.

Jonnel - draw and attack the zombie [roll0], [roll1].

Pips - full attack the zombie [roll2], [roll3]; [roll4], [roll5]; [roll6], [roll7].

If the undead is still standing, Gallard does the same; otherwise, he charges the zombie by the well with his lance - assuming that as he closes in he doesn't notice a mob of zombies approaching; in that case, he regroups with his companions and warns them of the danger.

Gallard - draw and attack the zombie [roll8], [roll9]+[roll10]; or charge the approaching zombie [roll11], [roll12]*2.

Valiant - full attack the zombie [roll13], [roll14]; [roll15], [roll16]; [roll17], [roll18]; or charge the approaching zombie [roll19], [roll20].

stack
2013-11-11, 08:23 AM
Brom pushes his shield ahead of himself, charging to keep up with the others despite the weight of his armor. "For the Light!"charging the nearest zombie if possible
att [roll0]
damage [roll1]

holding off on another turn attempt, waiting to see how many show up.

MechaSimon
2013-11-11, 05:16 PM
Fearing that the woman may be overwhelmed, Slayer disengages the enemy and moves to help her, hoping his companions bring it down before it blindsides him.

As he dashes closer to her, he mentally takes aim at the nearest zombie and delivers a spinning kick at its head. Landing, he takes his place at the woman's side, intending to become an additional target for the undead.

Slayer will move away from the zombie he is fighting and try to move next to the woman. He will provoke from the zombie he's disengaging from if need be, but hopes to move to the woman without incident.

He will attack the nearest zombie at her position.

[roll0] [roll1]

Batpope Scott
2013-11-11, 11:42 PM
"That is no zombie..." Alastor mumbles the incantations of another spell as he tries to halt some of the attackers.
Casting Halt Undead. I'm going to attempt to target the approaching undead from the west with the spell if it's within 30ft of the two members of the crowd, but if not I'll just halt three of the zombies in the crowd. Mindless undead get no save but otherwise it gets a DC19 Will save

Kish
2013-11-12, 07:24 AM
Jonnel slices the first zombie in half, and his horse pounds it into the ground.

Gallard charges the zombie by the well. His lance sinks into its chest...but meets a strange resistance. The zombie bares its teeth and (readied action) clasps both its hands together over its head and swings them down at Gallard, moving with a most un-zombieish speed.
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Gallard tumbles from his horse. The ground he lands on seems to shimmer for a moment, and then he appears to fall downward, as if it was intangible. A moment later, the not-a-zombie is standing in front of a pile of upturned dirt that resembles a newly dug grave, and Gallard is...gone.

Brom charges the zombie Slayer was attacking and hits. Alastor casts a spell, targeting the "zombie" by the well, the zombie Brom hit, and one of the zombies attacking the woman.
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
Slayer runs over to attack one of the zombies attacking the woman (would get an AoO, but the zombie behind him is halted). However, he misses.

Two of the zombies (call them Zombie 2, the one Brom hit, and Zombie 3, the one Slayer missed) take no action. The third zombie (Zombie 4) attacks the woman but misses. The woman swings her sword at Zombie 4 and hits; its left hand falls to the ground.
[roll7][roll8]
[roll9][roll10]

PC's turn. Now that it's clear the "zombie" by the well is no zombie, you notice it appears smaller than the others and significantly dirtier.

Vetril
2013-11-12, 08:00 AM
[roll0]

OOC: roll doesn't work in PMs, sorry

stack
2013-11-13, 08:20 AM
Seeing the threat is greater than anticipated, Brom raises his shield again before striking, light shining forth. hate to keep burning through turns so fast, but this thing sounds nasty. Probably be too high HD to fry anyway, but its worth a shot. Not like Brom's damage output is very high anyhow. Greater turning.

turn check [roll0] x 1.5 Undead level 11 and lower can be turned!
damage [roll1] 33 Hd of undead

then attacking whatever is left (20' move if needed)
att [roll2]
damage [roll3]

know religion [roll4]

"Sir Gallard! We will get you out!"

Kish
2013-11-13, 01:38 PM
[roll0]
A couple people seem to be either stumped or busy; I'd give them more time, but it might not actually matter, as everything visible and still undead collapses at Brom's Greater Turning. Dirt cascades off the not-a-zombie's body, forming a pile, onto which the not-a-zombie's perfectly clean body falls.

The woman runs over and starts digging through the dirt where Gallard was standing.

stack
2013-11-13, 02:02 PM
Brom immediately aid in the digging effort, speaking as he works. "We where warned of werewolves attacking the town, not undead. In truth I am better suited for fighting the undead, as you see. Even the entomber was no match for Pelor's light, fearsome though it was. I am Brom Sunborn; my companions and I received a letter calling for aid here. It seems the call was not in vain."

Vetril
2013-11-13, 03:48 PM
Jonnel dismounts as quickly as he can to bring his help to the entombed knight. He seems shaken as he calls out to his companion.

"Gallard! Hold on!"

He proceeds to help the others in the digging effort.

MechaSimon
2013-11-13, 07:38 PM
Slayer sighs in frustration, ashamed of his performance in the brief battle. That would not have made his mother and father proud. He immediately takes his place by the others and starts digging for Gallard, wanting to be useful in some way.

(Sorry, was at FLGS most of the day!)

Batpope Scott
2013-11-13, 11:12 PM
Alastor watches silently as the more physically capable go about trying to dig up the knight. His usefulness at the moment is lacking, though he keeps watch of the surroundings while they are distracted.

Kish
2013-11-14, 08:44 AM
Gallard emerges from the pile of dirt, bedraggled but not much the worse for wear.

When he's back on solid ground, the woman addresses Brom. "My name is Ashlyn. I came to the town as part of a group of undead hunters; there are rumored to be a lot of undead in this area. Some of the villagers did talk about werewolves as well, but I haven't seen any while we were fighting these undead."

Edited to add: Gallard's sword is no longer glowing.

stack
2013-11-14, 09:54 AM
"A group? Are the others about? What do you know about the attacks?"

Kish
2013-11-14, 06:21 PM
"Thendrick and Mathilda went to the church to the northwest. The townsfolk we spoke to said that the undead had been a problem for a while, but it got much worse a week ago, and the zombie waves apparently came from that church. Everyone said we should talk to some kind of wise woman outside of town, but my companions were sure they could handle whatever was there. Then they went off to the church, leaving me to deal with the zombies." She sighs. "They can be idiots sometimes, but I hope they're all right."

stack
2013-11-14, 08:33 PM
Brom raises his golden face-plate to converse. "I fear leaving the town to consult with anyone may prove perilous, both for leaving the town undefended and for going out in ignorance with so many threats about. Perhaps we ought to check on your companions, perhaps they have found out something that could be of use." Or they could be in need of aid...hopefully not beyond it though. "Are the surviving villagers gathered, or scattered?"

He looks to his recently acquired allies. "I would have us go to the church, provided the survivors are not under attack presently. What say you?"

Vetril
2013-11-14, 09:11 PM
Gallard seems to consider the current situation, as he takes a few moments to remove the dirt from his clothes.

"We should not be reckless, if we are to avoid the mistakes of those that came before us. Why don't we talk with the people of this village first? Maybe they could tell us more about the current situation."

Jonnel nods in agreement. Gallard continues:

"After all, we'll help no one if we die in a hopeless assault. Better try to understand what we are facing here. Furthermore, these unfortunate bodies should be given a properly burial."

stack
2013-11-14, 09:47 PM
"While I certainly would see proper respect done to the dead, we must see to the living first.Better to leave the bodies until we know there will not be more of the living joining them. Let us speak with the villagers, if we can."

MechaSimon
2013-11-15, 01:52 PM
With the battle over, Slayer finds himself out of his element. Slowly, he works up the courage to speak.

"Ashlyn, do you know of a man named Jeref Maurgen?"

Kish
2013-11-15, 07:21 PM
She shakes her head slowly. "No, the name's not familiar. But I don't know most of the people here."

She goes over to the tavern door one zombie was trying to break into, and shouts at it, "They're gone for now. You can let us in."

A sign hanging precariously askew outside the door declared it the "Blood on the Vine Tavern." A thin skein of smoke rises from the building's chimney. Ashlyn goes over to the building opposite the tavern, where a sign on the door reads "Bildrath's Mercantile," and yells again, "They're gone for now."

About two minutes later, both doors open. Two men in dark brown clothing emerge from the tavern, and a strong-looking young man in a leather jerkin emerges from the shop. All three of them, plus Ashlyn, immediately start rebuilding the broken barricade.

Vetril
2013-11-15, 08:06 PM
Sir Gallard takes a moment to address Slayer.

"Still no trace, but worry not. We'll either find your friend, or make sure he can rest in peace."

The knight has regained his composure, or so it seems. He approaches the newcomers, pointing at the two war horses that Jonnel is currently directing.

"Please, good men, can you spare a moment? We're here to talk with the Burgomeister, or whoever is in charge now; where can we leave our mounts in the mean time?"

Kish
2013-11-16, 08:50 PM
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
The three men glance at each other. The big one who came out of the store looks quite apprehensive at being addressed. After a few seconds, one of the other two says, "That'd probably be something to work out with the innkeeper." He points behind him to the tavern door. "The burgomaster's dead, though."

"I suppose his son would be acting burgomaster now," the other man who came out of the tavern adds. "Conveniently for you, he's in there."

Alastor didn't pick up anything, but everyone else noticed the disdain in the second speaker's tone.

stack
2013-11-17, 02:16 PM
"Well, then we should speak with him presently. I fear there will be more trouble before the night ends." Brom heads into the tavern if the others agree.

Vetril
2013-11-17, 04:54 PM
"I'll handle the horses, you go ahead, Gallard."

says Jonnel, leading the animals towards the inn. Sir Gallard nods to him.

"Thank you. Now, if you'll excuse us, we'll go meet this man. Personally, I have many questions to ask. Do call us if you need help, out here."

That said, the knight walks towards the door of the tavern to meet the burgomeister's son.

MechaSimon
2013-11-18, 03:51 PM
Slayer nods at Gallard appreciatively.

"Thank you. I know we'll find him."

He then follows the party into the tavern to meet the burgomaster's son.

(Sorry, was at Pathfinder minicon Saturday and Sunday. 9am - 12am.)

Kish
2013-11-19, 08:50 AM
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]

The main room of the tavern is packed; you count twenty-five adults and ten children, including the bartender. The bartender is cleaning glasses, which look clean enough before he starts. He doesn't look up at your entrance.

Vetril
2013-11-20, 07:48 AM
Sir Gallard tries his best to look proud and solid as he walks into the common room. He stops for a moment, scanning the room for the man he has been directed to and at the same time giving the people a chance to understand who he is. He looks around, addressing no one in particular.

"You asked for help, and help has come, people of Barovia. I am looking for the burgomeister's son."

stack
2013-11-20, 08:10 AM
Brom enters as well, trusting his obvious clerical status to smooth the introductions. "We have destroyed the abominations in the square and would see the rest undone and the village safe."

Kish
2013-11-20, 01:29 PM
The townspeople seem more nonplussed than anything else by Gallard's introduction. When he asks for the burgomeister's son, several of them indicate a man sitting at a table in a back corner. As he gets to his feet, you all see that he's better dressed than the others, in faded nobles' clothing. "I am Ismark Kolyanavich," he says in a wavering voice, "acting burgomaster of Barovia. I'm sorry, but I don't know you."

Vetril
2013-11-20, 07:15 PM
Gallard follows the pointed fingers, locating the burgomeister's son. He examines Ismark for a long moment; the knight then approaches the young man, offering a genuine smile.

"I am Sir Gallard of the noble house of Ravensgate, second son of Lord Gwain Ravensgate; knight of the realm, defender of the good people, shield against the forces of darkness. I swear to you, Ismark Kolyanavich; I will do everything in my power to free your land from the grasp of evil. You have my word."

Sir Gallard offers his hand to the young nobleman, as a sign of good will.

"But tell me, good man: what happened to the noble who is responsible for your village? Did he fall against the hordes of the dead?"

stack
2013-11-21, 08:05 AM
"And I am Brom Sunborne, servant of Pelor. Please, tell us of the troubles that beset this village and the call for help we received from your father." He produces the letter, handing it over carefully. diplomacy [roll0]

Kish
2013-11-21, 02:02 PM
Ismark takes the letter from Brom and reads it. "This writing is not my father's," he says after a minute. "The writing seems to imply a different kind of relationship with Ireena than he had--she is my sister, his daughter--and she hasn't been attacked by wolves, though it's true that the town has."

To Gallard's question, he shakes his head. "No, the zombies didn't get my father; the infection began after Kolyan was already dead, thank the gods. No--it was the master of the castle, or his servants, that killed Kolyan Indirovich!"

stack
2013-11-21, 02:18 PM
"Then who sent the letter? Something is very odd here. There were wolf attacks though? The master of the castle? Perhaps you best start from the beginning and give us the full tale."

Batpope Scott
2013-11-21, 04:19 PM
Alastor watches silently from behind the knight and priest, only interjecting to say "It would be wise to know the whole story, indeed."

Kish
2013-11-22, 04:12 PM
"Er, right. Uh, sit down," Ismark says, gesturing rather drunkenly to his table (which doesn't have five other chairs, but you should be able to gather them from around the room if you wish to accept his invitation).

"A month ago, the master of the castle--that devil Strahd--tried to pay us a visit. I don't know why, but my father argued with him, and then put on an amulet he called the Holy Symbol of Ravenkind and chased him off. About a week ago, Father was poisoned. I couldn't figure out how to make the amulet work and neither could Ireena. The zombies showed up the day after Father died; Ireena is staying with the body to make sure it doesn't turn into a zombie. The amulet disappeared a few days later. A few days after Father died, I mean, not...you know what I mean."

Now that he's speaking more, it's clear that he's really very drunk, in the high-functioning way of someone whose fondness for the bottle is neither small nor rarely indulged.

Vetril
2013-11-22, 04:42 PM
The chair creaks under Gallard's weight, as he sits at the table that the young man chose. His right hand taps on the table as he listens to the story of the acting burgomeister.

"Strahd? And the Holy Symbol of... Ravenkind?"

Knowledge (Nobility And Royalty): [roll0]
Knowledge (Religion): [roll1]

The knight raises his hand and brings it under his chin, to support his head as he becomes lost in thought. He seems to be meditating on the subject. After a long moment, he blinks a couple of times and asks a single question, as if it were an afterthought.

"Tell me, Ismark - what is the heraldry of this noble?"

stack
2013-11-22, 09:14 PM
Brom sits and listens intently. The holy symbol...the very thing I sought. interesting. "Your sister is alone through these attacks? Have you had word from her? She may be in danger."

Kish
2013-11-24, 07:23 AM
Ismark responds to Brom's question first. "Ireena can take care of herself--better than I can, anyway. The house is barricaded against the zombies, but if she didn't have to stay with Father's body she'd...anyway."

A minute passes; the two men you saw come out of the tavern return, sit down with a third man, and resume a card game that was apparently in progress when they left. Ismark looks at your horses like he's noticing them for the first time, blinks, and then says, "Heraldry. The Count's heraldry depicts"--he gestures drunkenly "a bird on a green background."

MechaSimon
2013-11-24, 11:31 AM
Slayer decides to ask the question that's been on his mind, hoping to not derail the conversation.

"Have any werewolf hunters come to town to help?"

Kish
2013-11-24, 01:00 PM
He stares at Slayer blankly for a minute before replying, "Werewolf hunters, specifically?" He drains his goblet and refills it from the bottle at his elbow. "Not this week. Or do you mean before that? I d-don't know, Ireena might."

Vetril
2013-11-24, 08:48 PM
"Then we shall also talk to your sister; you've been very helpful - even though it seems the situation is starting to make less and less sense as we learn more details."

Gallard leans closer to him, putting his hand on the young man's shoulder. He lowers his voice and speaks a few words to try to encourage the son of the burgomeister.

"You have done well, so far. The people look at you, as you are replacing your father the burgomeister. It is normal to be scared, but you have to try to be strong, Ismark. What will they do, if they see their new leader crumble under the pressure of the situation?"

The knight leans back against his chair, letting Ismark go. This time, he addresses everyone in the room.

"Now, could someone draw a rough map of Barovia for us? It would be of considerable help, if we are to visit other places nearby. And please, everyone, if you know something about the situation that hasn't been mentioned so far, or if you have seen something weird, do tell us."

stack
2013-11-24, 09:21 PM
Frustrated at the man's uselessness, Brom stands. He notds curtly to the drunken youth. "Thank you for your time. If you know nothing else, I would have us go to the church and see how the companions of the lady outside, who fought the horde to save your lives as you hid here, far o n this dark day."time to move on I think

Kish
2013-11-25, 02:48 PM
One of the two men you saw outside draws you a crude map, marking the burgomaster's mansion at the south end of town with a blue splotch, the tavern you're in with a green one, and the mercantile across the way with a red one. He writes the word "church" to your north and, on the southwest path leading out of town, "To Madam Eva." "Madam Eva is wiser than anyone you'll find in here," he explains. "She can even see the future. If you want to help, go find her."

stack
2013-11-25, 03:27 PM
"How many may perish while we dally with a fortune teller? I say on to the church."others are free to voice their opinions, I just want to keep things moving and not stagnate for days contemplating different options.

Vetril
2013-11-25, 07:21 PM
Sir Gallard examines the map. As soon as Brom is done speaking, the knight replies.

"I don't know, I'm not particularly familiar with magic. Ashlyn's companions might be needing help. I won't turn away if there is a chance they could still be alive. I agree with you, Brom. First, we shall look to the church."

Gallard taps his lips with a finger.

"However, this wise woman might indeed have some insight about the evil which has taken over the region. Maybe we should split up, for the time being, and regroup here to share informations. This way, we'd be able to pursue different objectives in less time."

He addresses Slayer and Alastor.

"What is your opinion? Would you two be willing to go meet this Madam Eva, to see if she could provide useful information? - Gallard then adds, looking specifically at Alastor - "Among us, you are the one who is most familiar with magic."

Kish
2013-11-25, 07:57 PM
"Madam Eva is quite a ways out of town," Ismark puts in. "I wouldn't split up if you're going to her camp. Neither the forests nor the town are exactly safe. Ireena wanted to go see her though."

stack
2013-11-25, 08:36 PM
"Given what we have seen so far I would not savor the thought of separating."

Vetril
2013-11-26, 05:35 PM
Gallard listens to everyone before replying.

"Your opinions were noted. They make sense. We shall visit the church then; then Ireena, then Madam Eva. Hopefully we won't run into trouble on our way there."

Kish
2013-11-26, 05:48 PM
The innkeeper will agree to let you stable your horses there for a standard fee of 1 gold piece per day for both of them (so let me know if you still have the horses with you). You leave the tavern and start north, toward where the church is marked on your map.

Ahead, you see a dead horse lying in the street (definitely not either or yours, and apparently dead for nearly long enough to rot away). Its rotting entrails have attracted a small troupe of zombies, three who you see just to the north and west of the corpse.

stack
2013-11-27, 08:17 PM
"More zombies? For the light!" The white-clad priest charges ahead, shedding light as he goes.charge attack [roll0]
damage [roll1]

I still didn't cast magic weapon, did I? Stupid.

And a greater turning to speed things up [roll2] 9 HD max
[roll3]*1.5 = 24 HD

Vetril
2013-11-28, 09:39 AM
All right, we leave the horses at the tavern.

The two warriors have a brief exchange while they observe the situation.

"Left side, Jonnel."

"Got it. Try to keep up, Gallard, will you?"

The knight sneers.

That said, Gallard and Jonnel join Brom swiftly, charging in with their swords ready to strike. Sir Gallard's sword starts to emit a cold blue light once again.

Gallard - charges a zombie on the right: [roll0], [roll1]+[roll2]
Jonnel - charges a zombie on the left: [roll3], [roll4]

If the undeads are all turned by Brom, they both redirect towards the closest zombie on their side, or they regroup near Brom if there is no zombie within charge range; in this case, they ready an action to strike any zombie that gets within sword's reach.

Kish
2013-11-28, 11:03 AM
As Brom arrives next to the rotting horse, the light from his shield slams all three of the visible zombies to the ground.

A door to the north and one to the south both swing open. Greasy-looking, decaying creatures lope out of the buildings, one from the north building and two from the south building. One of the ones from the south building shrieks, "Nerull be praised, fresh meat for once!"

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]PCs' initiative.
[roll5]Monsters' initiative.

The creatures are readily recognizable to all of you as ghouls.

Kish
2013-11-28, 11:10 AM
The ghouls lunge before you can react to their arrival, splitting up and one each going after Brom, Gallard, and Jonnel.

[roll0][roll1][roll2][roll3][roll4][roll5]
[roll6][roll7][roll8][roll9][roll10][roll11]
[roll12][roll13][roll14][roll15][roll16][roll17]

The two ghouls attacking Gallard and Brom miss with their claws and their bites. The one attacking Jonnel misses its bite but rakes him savagely with both claws. (Jonnel takes 6 damage and needs to make five Fortitude saves; Gallard and Brom need to make a Fortitude save each.)

In light of the holiday, I won't post the next turn until everyone has posted or Tuesday, whichever comes first.

MechaSimon
2013-11-29, 09:46 AM
Slayer's orc blood responds to the rush of battle, even as his human training attempts to suppress it. He stays true to his combat role in the party; protecting Alastor while engaging threats on the party's flanks.

Slayer will move to the ghoul nearest to Alastor and attack with his fists.

[roll0] [roll1]

Hope everybody had a Happy Thanksgiving!

Vetril
2013-11-29, 01:40 PM
Jonnel:
Fortitude saves: [roll0], [roll1], [roll2], [roll3], [roll4] - I guess he's paralyzed.

Gallard:
Fortitude save: [roll5]

Sir Gallard eyes the ghouls as they run towards his group. Recognizing the foul stench that emanates from their bodies, he is quick to warn the others.

"Watch out! These are ghasts!"

The knight swings his magical sword through the air, leaving bright trails behind. The sword glows like a blue torch in his hand, almost eager to destroy the dead abominations.

"Fear the might of the living, monsters! Back to your graves!"

If Jonnel or Brom are helpless, Gallard moves to protect them. If not, he attacks as many enemies as he can.

Gallard - full attacks the ghasts:

[roll6], [roll7]+[roll8]; [roll9], [roll10]+[roll11].

Jonnel - attacks the ghast that hurt him, if possible:

[roll12], [roll13].

stack
2013-11-29, 08:40 PM
fort [roll0]

Attack [roll1]
[roll2]
Brom raises his morningstar, laying into the nearest abomination.

Kish
2013-12-03, 08:18 PM
Slayer swings and misses.
Gallard has to draw breath to shout his warning, and it's all he can do to stop himself from throwing up from the nauseating smell (Gallard is sickened), but his sword slices deeply into two of the ghasts, and Jonnel and Brom both strike the third ghast.

Jonnel is similarly nauseated, and while he's not paralyzed, one of the blows ghasts' blows causes a dull ache to start in the pit of his stomach, initially indistinguishable from the nausea.

The ghasts again attempt to rake and bite the same targets they attacked previously.

[roll0][roll1][roll2][roll3][roll4][roll5]
[roll6][roll7][roll8][roll9][roll10][roll11][roll12][roll13][roll14][roll15][roll16][roll17][roll18][roll19][roll20][roll21]
The first ghast bites and claws Brom (take 12 damage), the second ghast claws Gallard (take 5 damage), and the third ghast claws Jonnel (take 2 damage).

Brom needs to make four Fortitude saves, Gallard needs to make two, Jonnel needs to make two, and Slayer needs to make one.

At the risk of being incongruous, I hope everyone had a happy Thanksgiving.

Edited: Brom reminded me of the Magic Circle Vs. Evil, which doesn't do Brom any good since his ghast rolled 23 and 23 to hit, but does mean Gallard's ghast missed.

stack
2013-12-03, 09:33 PM
Brom bursts forth in light as he continues his attack.
ac would have been 21 vs evil, if that matters
fort rolls (includes magic circle for +2)
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

greater turning if not paralyzed [roll4] turns up to 8 HD
[roll5] 24 HD

att [roll6]
damage [roll7]

M NG Human Cleric, Level 6, Init +3, HP 25/45, Speed 20
Fullplate +1, MW (also holy symbol) Light Steel Shield (+9 Armor, +1 Shield, -1 Dex)
Turning CHeck:
-Check 1d20+7 (7 = 2 Cha + 2 Know Religion +3 circlet of persuasion) count as level 7 from Ephod
-Damage 1.5*(2d6+12) (12 = 6 level +1 ephod +2 CHA +3 circlet of persuasion)

Vetril
2013-12-04, 07:47 AM
Even if both Sir Gallard and Jonnel can barely breathe through the overwhelming stench, they grit their teeth and keep fighting at the best of their abilities.
It is obvious that they hope to overcome the opposition quickly. The knight in particular seems focused on downing the undead monstruosities as fast as possible.

I already counted the sickened penalties. Gallard's immune to disease, in case he gets bitten.

SAVING THROWS:

Gallard: [roll0], [roll1].

Jonnel: [roll2], [roll3].

ACTIONS:

Gallard: full attack, same targets: [roll4], [roll5]+[roll6]; [roll7], [roll8]+[roll9].

Jonnel: attack, same target: [roll10], [roll11].

MechaSimon
2013-12-06, 09:59 AM
Slayer controls his breathing, fighting to not give in to the smell. He dares to shout a warning to the party. "Wolves approaching from the north!"

He leads with a jab at the nearest ghast, then follows it with a right cross.

Fortitude Save
[roll0]

Flurry of Blows
[roll1]
[roll2]

Kish
2013-12-10, 08:53 PM
Alastor raises his hands and casts a Web, partially covering the horse corpse and entangling both of the approaching rat-wolf creatures.
Brom freezes in midmotion and also feels a dull ache starting in his stomach. Jonnel freezes, and can't tell if there's any change in the ache he's already feeling.
Gallard badly wounds one of the ghasts and maims another, who falls to the ground. Slayer's first blow strikes the third ghast, but his second blow misses.

[roll0][roll1]
(damage for Slayer's hit)[roll2]

Kish
2013-12-10, 08:59 PM
The third ghast also falls to the ground. The still-standing ghast attempts to claw and bite Gallard. One of the rat-wolves stops moving entirely; the other one battles its way grimly through the web.

[roll0][roll1][roll2][roll3][roll4][roll5][roll6]
The ghast's teeth latch onto Gallard quite thoroughly. He takes 11 damage and needs to make two Fortitude saves. (The second one may or may not actually matter, but please roll it anyway.)

Sorry again about the delay.

Vetril
2013-12-11, 02:52 PM
Sir Gallard screams more in surprise than in pain as the ghast's teeth reach his flesh. He tries to break free, or at least put some distance between himself and the creature as he adjusts his grip on the Ravensgate sword to lash out with a mighty blow.

Fortitude saves: [roll0], [roll1]

Assuming he's still operational, full attack on the last ghast: [roll2], [roll3]+[roll4]; [roll5], [roll6]+[roll7];

Kish
2013-12-12, 08:33 AM
[roll0][roll1][roll2]
The still-standing ghast collapses in pieces at Gallard's attack. All ghasts now appear inert.
One of the rat-wolves is immobile; the other continues to struggle through the web ineffectually. Alastor steps forward and wordlessly blasts both of them with a line of lightning from his hands.

Kish
2013-12-12, 08:37 AM
[roll0]Brom is paralyzed for four more rounds, Jonnel for two more.
Gallard's sword stops glowing. The rat-wolves' bodies jerk under Alastor's electricity, and then collapse.

Kish
2013-12-13, 09:43 AM
Brom and Jonnel regain the ability to move (Jonnel in two rounds, Brom in four). Gallard is no longer sickened, but Brom and Jonnel are both sickened and it doesn't seem to be fading. Only inanimate corpses are in sight.

stack
2013-12-13, 09:59 AM
Brom takes a knee to regain his strength. "I failed you all in that battle. I am sorry. Thank you for saving me."

Vetril
2013-12-13, 01:27 PM
Jonnel tries to wipe his face clean with his left hand; he doesn't seem all that successful.

"Don't worry, they got me too. That's why we work together - we cover each other's back."

A focused expression on his face, Gallard whispers something as he passes his hand over the point where the last ghast managed to bit him despite his armor.

Gallard casts Cure Light Wounds on himself.

[roll0]

He then cautiously moves a couple of times, judging the damage.
Finally, he nods to himself, seemingly satisfied.

The knight then moves on to have a look at Jonnel. After a quick examination, he pats his shoulder.

"Let me know if you're not feeling well, all right? Is everyone else all right? Those ghast bites can be lethal, if not properly tended to."

Sir Gallard eyes the direction from which the giant, unnatural beasts came from.

"Either way, we must push forward. The church can't be too far, even though we can't see it with this fog."

Kish
2013-12-15, 08:39 AM
As you approach the church, you can see that it's barely standing. A faint, flickering light is visible through the windows, and you hear...something from inside...you think. You definitely hear light footsteps approaching from behind.

This is your cue, Ivyn.

neoseph7
2013-12-15, 06:48 PM
Ivyn Nadirna

Calling out in the dark with a fearful, cautious expression. "Hello? Are you humanoid? Or at least not hungry?"
A dirty Gnome approaches the party, his face and robes smeared with dirt and grime.
"You'd better not eat me! I taste worse than I smell."

stack
2013-12-16, 09:54 AM
Brom nods and stands, quietly invoking a blessing over his weapon and healing himself before proceeding. "Anyone else injured?"magic weapon, clw from obscuring mist [roll0]

wand as needed [roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
1 charge, others can claim the unused rolls

He eyes the newcomer warily. "If you are not one of the dead then we welcome you. It is a perilous time to be away from shelter."

Vetril
2013-12-16, 01:44 PM
"And who are you?" - the proud lord knight said - "A gnome? Are you one of the survivors from this town?"

Gallard and Jonnel have a good look at Ivyn.

"By the Hells. Well, what's a gnome doing here?"

Gallard uses Detect Evil on Ivyn.

Kish
2013-12-16, 01:46 PM
Ivyn does not appear to be evil.

neoseph7
2013-12-16, 10:17 PM
Ivyn Nadirna

I-I-I-ivyn Nadirna. I'm not from here. I was sent. I was in an Inn at Vallaki when a letter was placed on a table from some Barovian Burgomaster. I'd never really heard of Barovia, except that it's where Sasha Ivliskova lives. I wanted to go, and so did some other guys, so off we are on an adventure. I thought they ditched me... but I was just slow to the slaughter. Zombies... I think. I didn't hang around to find out. I'm not a burden, I promise! I just need a clean change of undergarments.

stack
2013-12-16, 10:27 PM
Brom waves the gnome closer. "Unfortunately the letter appears to be some sort of ruse, though I know not to what end. We received the same, or similar ourselves and have since spoken to the late burgomeister's son, who is certain his father did not write it on account of being recently deceased. We are currently heading to investigate the church here, as we believe more allies may be inside. A warrior we met said her companions went here to investigate the cause of the undead attacks. We seek them and their findings."

Kish
2013-12-17, 04:00 PM
Other than the noises you make, the town seems to have gotten eerily silent. The fog is still getting thicker all the time.

Vetril
2013-12-17, 04:37 PM
"So, this is the church? Let's see what we can find, and possibly check if there's a place we can secure for the night. We should try to avoid being caught by darkness while we are still outdoors."

That said, Gallard draws his magical sword once again, and waves at the others to follow him. He walks down the road, in the direction of the building's entrance.

MechaSimon
2013-12-18, 11:39 AM
"Hello Ivyn. I am Slayer Rocktusk. We are all friendly and work well together in battle. There is no reason to be afraid."

Slayer stays last in marching order, once again fulfilling the role of rear guard.

I'm still here! Sorry, had some Christmas stuff and spent a lot of time at FLGS. Sorry to see Alastor go, but greetings to Ivyn!

Kish
2013-12-18, 05:01 PM
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

The church interior is a shambles, with overturned and broken benches littering the dusty floor. A claw-scarred altar broods at the north end of the church, directly north of a gaping hole in the rotten floorboards. A hoarse voice coming from that same direction chants the phrases of a nonsense prayer. The door you're looking in is at the south end of the church, so that you're looking directly north. The inside of the church is lit dimly by candles (equivalent to shadowy illumination).

Gallard's sword once again begins to glow.

stack
2013-12-18, 06:54 PM
Brom looks for signs of the deity the church is devoted to before entry. As they cross through the threshold, he is about to call out for those they seek, but stops when he sees the glow of the blade next to him. Instead he raises his morningstar and starts forward.

neoseph7
2013-12-19, 12:01 AM
Ivyn Nadirna

Prior to entering the Church. "Hi Slayer. Thanks, I was quite concerned about things that go bump, slash, thunk, and/or booga-booga-booga in the night."
Ivyn will stay behind, though in front of Slayer, in the marching order

Somewhat more comfortable within the safety of numbers, Ivyn tries to focus on his surroundings, especially the prayer and any writings that might be on the walls or tapestries at the edge of his low light vision. He also starts to check the pouches for his spell components, a nervous habit when he feels threatened. His pouch has already been rearranged twelve times today.

Upon illumination, the glowing sword grabs his focus. "Oooh! Shiny. What's that!?"

Knowledge Religion, Arcana and Decipher script are all at a +14 modifier if any are applicable. If taking ten is permitted, that's 24 for attempting to understand the chanting, the glowing blade, and the religion of the temple.

Vetril
2013-12-19, 05:19 AM
The knight rises his sword high above his head.

"It means we're not alone. In Rao's name, show yourselves!"

Jonnel moves closer to Gallard, ready to defend both with his shield.

"What's that hole in the ground? It's huge..."

Jonnel uses total defense.

Kish
2013-12-20, 07:47 AM
Brom notices bits of a carving scattered on the ground in front of the entrance, but they're too small to tell what the carving used to be.
Abruptly, a wild-haired man pops up from behind the altar. He screams, "You can't take my son from me!" followed by a stream of gibberish immediately recognizable as magic, reading from a torn piece of parchment clutched in his left hand. He's dressed in robes which are filthy, but still recognizable as those of a priest of Pelor.
Simultaneously, all four doors to either side of the party swing open. Three zombies (from the southwest, southeast, and northwest doors) lurch forward to attack Gallard, Jonnel, and Brom. Behind the northeast door, what briefly looks like an ordinary skeleton immediately proves that it is not by opening its mouth and producing a deafening boom which seems to come from the middle of the party.

[roll0]
[roll1][roll2]
[roll3][roll4]
[roll5][roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]
[roll11]
[roll12]
[roll13]
[roll14]
[roll15]
[roll16]
[roll17]
[roll18]
[roll19]
[roll20]
[roll21]
[roll22]
[roll23]
[roll24]

One of the zombies dodges past Jonnel's shield and strikes Gallard. The sound wave seems to shake the zombies as well as the party, but a second later, a wave of negative energy from the man behind the altar sweeps over all of you, strengthening the zombies as it weakens the party.
Gallard takes 2818 damage and needs to make two Fortitude saves. Jonnel takes 27 and needs to make one; I believe that brings him to exactly 0. Brom takes 2214 and needs to make one. Ivyn takes 3118 and needs to make one, and Slayer takes 28 and needs to make one.
You hear running footsteps from behind you, just outside the church.

stack
2013-12-20, 08:11 AM
(If able to act)
Light stream from his shield again, driving the undead to the ground. He calls to the priest, "Brother, stop this madness. It is not too late, we can help you."fort [roll0]
free to turn undead
turning check [roll1]
damage [roll2] x 1.5

attacking anything other than the priest that is still standing
att [roll3]
damage [roll4]
includes magic weapon

if undead are toast, healing Jonnel w/ cure serious moderate burning dispel magic SMII, [roll5] (I only rolled a cure moderate on accident so rather than post again I just changed the spell converted)

M NG Human Cleric, Level 6, Init +3, HP 22/45, Speed 20
Magis Weapon
Turning Check:

Kish
2013-12-20, 08:21 AM
The undead collapse to the floor in Brom's light, though something tells him it was a very near thing.

Vetril
2013-12-20, 10:13 AM
Jonnel falls on one knee: only Brom's spell prevents him from collapsing to the ground. Even Sir Gallard is momentarily staggered by the sheer amount of punishment delivered by the mystical explosion.

Assuming they are still able to move, Gallard scrambles forward, towards the deranged priest; he calls on the powers of good to sustain him.

"Peace, old man! Don't force our hand, I beg you!"

Jonnel grits his teeth and follows closely, guarding the wounded knight as best as he can.

"Gallard! Watch out!"

Fortitude Saves:
Gallard: [roll0], [roll1].
Jonnel: [roll2].

Gallard uses Lay on Hands on himself to heal 6 damage.

Jonnel moves to Gallard's side, readying an attack to intercept any enemy (within reach) that tries to attack the knight.

Kish
2013-12-20, 03:06 PM
stack pointed out to me that I missed a Will save from the Inflict spell, so everyone make a Will save, please. If you pass, you'll still take damage but less than what I posted earlier.

stack
2013-12-20, 04:01 PM
will [roll0] don't know the dc, but that should pass, right?

neoseph7
2013-12-20, 05:18 PM
Ivyn Nadirna

To his allies:
Ughh! They pack a wallop. The skeleton over there just hit us with a sonic attack, and that scroll was a multi-person negative energy spell. We're in it deep if this fight doesn't turn quick. I have an idea though.

Ivyn will cast a major image of a celestial diva wearing regalia as would be appropriate for a divine agent of Pelor. If possible, his casting will coincide with Brom's turn undead to make use of the positive energy burst and bright flash of light. The diva will speak as follows:

Creature of flesh, thou hast fallen from thine promised path of piety and faith. Fear not my child. We have come to rescue thee from thine sin and set thee once more upon the rightous path of justice and virtue. Upon thine person we have come to grant thee succor from the fear and hatred that doth plague thy heart. Open thine heart to our teachings as thou hast before.
Your son is not amongst us. Already he hath fled this broken hellscape upon his journey to the promised land of our faith. It is his wish that thee should join him in the holy kingdoms of heaven. To do so thou must first renounce the darkness that hath led thee astray. Repent thy wickedness and embrace the ways of our Radiant Father. Cast down your arms and once again open thine heart to the love of the Gods. Only then can thine soul be saved and may'st thee sojourn to the promised holy land of thine ancestors to live out thine mortal days with thine son.
Hear me, for thine service as a Shepard to the sheep thou shy be rewarded. He need naught but to placeth thine brow upon the alter and pray, pray as thou'st done so many times before. We knowst the frailty of thine heart, that thou believest that such prayers have been in vain. Know now that they were not. Your deliverance from this evil is nigh.

Knowledge Religion to make it sound convincing to a priest. If Brom could come in and assist by whispering scripture to quote as an assist to the knowledge religion check, that'd be awesome.

Knowledge Religion:[roll0]

MechaSimon
2013-12-21, 02:46 AM
Hey everyone! I will be at a Pathfinder game day today. Here is Slayer's Will Save.

[roll0]

Kish
2013-12-21, 09:35 AM
Still need Fortitude saves from Ivyn and Slayer. Sorry again about forgetting the Will saves; I'll edit the damage results accordingly.

neoseph7
2013-12-21, 10:33 AM
Fort Save from OOC thread: 19

Kish
2013-12-21, 10:34 AM
That was your Will save for half damage from the Inflict Moderate Wounds, which you passed; I also need a Fortitude save for the Sound Blast's stun effect, unless I have gone completely blind and am missing a second 19 roll in the OOC thread, which is a possibility.

Kish
2013-12-22, 08:35 AM
Ivyn Nadirna

To his allies:
Ughh! They pack a wallop. The skeleton over there just hit us with a sonic attack, and that scroll was a multi-person negative energy spell. We're in it deep if this fight doesn't turn quick. I have an idea though.

Ivyn will cast a major image of a celestial diva wearing regalia as would be appropriate for a divine agent of Pelor. If possible, his casting will coincide with Brom's turn undead to make use of the positive energy burst and bright flash of light. The diva will speak as follows:

Creature of flesh, thou hast fallen from thine promised path of piety and faith. Fear not my child. We have come to rescue thee from thine sin and set thee once more upon the rightous path of justice and virtue. Upon thine person we have come to grant thee succor from the fear and hatred that doth plague thy heart. Open thine heart to our teachings as thou hast before.
Your son is not amongst us. Already he hath fled this broken hellscape upon his journey to the promised land of our faith. It is his wish that thee should join him in the holy kingdoms of heaven. To do so thou must first renounce the darkness that hath led thee astray. Repent thy wickedness and embrace the ways of our Radiant Father. Cast down your arms and once again open thine heart to the love of the Gods. Only then can thine soul be saved and may'st thee sojourn to the promised holy land of thine ancestors to live out thine mortal days with thine son.
Hear me, for thine service as a Shepard to the sheep thou shy be rewarded. He need naught but to placeth thine brow upon the alter and pray, pray as thou'st done so many times before. We knowst the frailty of thine heart, that thou believest that such prayers have been in vain. Know now that they were not. Your deliverance from this evil is nigh.

Knowledge Religion to make it sound convincing to a priest. If Brom could come in and assist by whispering scripture to quote as an assist to the knowledge religion check, that'd be awesome.

Knowledge Religion:[roll0]

Seeing that he's alone, the priest steps toward the hole in the floor, only to stop and stare as the illusionary deva appears. Her words seem to shake him. "I..." he says hesitantly, glancing repeatedly toward the hole in the floor. "My son...no, he's not gone." He sounds far from certain of his words.

Ashlyn, the paladin you met outside, runs in the door behind you and stops, raising an eyebrow at the deva. The ex-zombies on the floor quickly draw her attention, though, and you hear her murmur, "Oh..." She raises her voice a little and says sadly, "Those were my companions."

The priest looks at her, closes his eyes and shakes his head. "I'm--" his voice wavers. "I'm--sorry!" He abruptly bursts into tears.

(Note that, through all of this, Gallard's sword continues to glow. The priest is, as far as any of you can tell, alive.)

stack
2013-12-22, 08:08 PM
Brom is taken aback, but sees the right of the matter after a moment. He lowers his morningstar and walks forward, offering a hand to the old priest while also interposing himself between the man and the illusion. "Take my hand. We will help you."

Vetril
2013-12-22, 08:52 PM
Jonnel starts to move towards the priest, but Gallard's hand grabs him by the shoulder. The knight's friend gives him an interrogative look, pointing at the celestial; Gallard shrugs for a moment, then he shakes his head.

Both stand still, trying not to break the tenuous connection their allies have made with the deranged old man.

neoseph7
2013-12-22, 10:48 PM
Ivyn Nadirna

Whispering to the rest of the party: "I'm going to have the angel tell him to take a nap so that we can deal with him. Any objections or recomendations?"

Vetril
2013-12-24, 05:26 AM
Gallard and Jonnel look at Ivyn as if he said he is a rat in a skirt.

Kish
2013-12-24, 08:51 AM
Appearing luckily oblivious to the turn the conversation has taken, the priest raises a hand and points off to the southeast. "A few days ago, Doru was killed by brigands. I thought, this couldn't be my reward for my years of sacrifice. And then, the master of the castle gave me a book"--he turns and points north, toward the altar where he was hiding when you came in "--and it brought Doru back, but...different. And then the corpses started rising...He's dead, isn't he?" he asks the deva.

He wipes his eyes, points to the southeast again though you can't tell what he's pointing at unless it's an ordinary-looking corner of the wall of the church, and says, "He's down there. Doru, or--what was Doru. He's not alone."

(Gallard's sword: Glowing.)

stack
2013-12-24, 12:12 PM
"You are right to mourn, but that is not the way. Come, I will bring you outside. We will take care of the matter and you can remember you son as he was. There is no need for this to continue."

neoseph7
2013-12-24, 11:21 PM
Ivyn Lastlescoan

These once holy walls have become a place of evil. With time and effort they can once again become a consecrated bastion. With thine effort and time. For now it would be prudent for thou to follow these mortals. My influence on this plane grows short. Remember: Faith, redemption, forgiveness. Thine path back onto that of the Holy Light will not be easy. But it shall not be in vain. Eventually, thou shalt have thy reunion with thine son.

Ivyn will continue to focus on the illusion for as long as he can, answering questions posed to the Diva to the best of his abilities, resorting to old tropes such as "the answer is one you must find on your own" or "the future is full of uncertainty". In general he'll try to stay out of the way while focusing.

Kish
2013-12-26, 07:45 PM
The priest gestures in the direction of the southeast corner of the room again before he turns to follow Brom.

"What is he pointing at?" mutters Ashlyn. Then she makes an aggravated-sounding grunting noise as she peers around the room, though no cause of such is visible. She doesn't follow Brom out of the church.

Vetril
2013-12-27, 12:59 PM
A thoughtful Gallard answers the woman's question.

"I suppose his poor son suffered a terrible curse, and was turned into one of these walking corpses. Such a horrible fate."

The knight then addresses Ivyn, offering him a respectful nod.

"That was you all the time, correct? Brilliantly handled! You avoided conflict and pacified a man whose only guilt, as far as we can tell, was fear. You have my appreciation. Now let's see why my sword is still detecting danger."

Then, his family blade held up in front of him as if it were a talisman, Sir Gallard slowly walks towards the corner that the priest pointed at twice. A wary Jonnel follows him, ready for anything.

Kish
2013-12-28, 04:14 AM
Nothing is immediately visible in the corner. Ashlyn looks to make sure the priest has left and says quietly, "There's a lot of evil here. Him, something down in that hole in the floor, especially that book he pointed at on the altar."

She searches the southeast area of the church.

[roll0]

"Whatever he was pointing at, I can't find it."

MechaSimon
2013-12-28, 04:21 PM
Slayer will help search the room.

Spot
[roll0]

Search
[roll1]

Kish
2013-12-28, 04:25 PM
Slayer finds nothing, beyond noting that it's dark and the church is in shockingly poor repair.

stack
2013-12-28, 09:54 PM
Once outside, Brom releases the priest's hand. "Remain here, please, brother. There will be much to be done later, but now let us work. The shining one light your way." He returns to his companions. "We could try looking down the hole."
He points to the hole in the floor the priest had earlier stood by.anyone need more healing before we proceed?

Vetril
2013-12-29, 06:55 AM
Sir Gallard turns back.

"Jonnel, have a look at that corner, will you? Perhaps there's a hidden passage."

"Will do."

The warrior starts examining the corner with much care and attention. While he waits, the knight walks around the church, looking left and right.

"I'll cleanse this sacred site of all evil. Darkness can't hide from me."

Jonnel takes 20 to Search the corner: the total is 21.
Gallard uses Detect Evil to find auras within the church.

Kish
2013-12-29, 07:02 AM
As Ashlyn indicated, the book on the altar has a strong aura of evil. There are more auras of evil in the hole in the floor, about four metres down.

Jonnel eventually finds a hatch set in the floor.

stack
2013-12-29, 08:43 AM
"We must go down, then, but ought not unprepared. Light shine upon us."bless (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/bless.htm), everyone gets +1 att & saves vs fear

bull's strength on Gallard, +4 enhancement to strength

neoseph7
2013-12-29, 03:26 PM
Ivyn Nadirna

To Sir Gallad, and out of earshot of the Priest: "Glad I could be of service. Admittedly, I cast my spell as such to win a wager against a friend back home. He thought I'd never have any use for all the religious texts I studied! Sure showed him. That half block of cheese is mine for sure now! I can almost taste it..."

Ivyn will search the room using Detect Magic, focusing on the book.

knowledge religion on book- Taking ten for 24 or [roll0] if taking ten not permitted.

Vetril
2013-12-30, 08:36 AM
"There's a hatch door here!"

Jonnel calls everyone when he finally finds the passage. Sir Gallard is quick to warn his companion:

"Don't open it! I think there's at least four walking corpses in the church's cellar."

The knight eyes the others.

"My opinion is that we should try to fight them one at a time, if possible. Maybe we can lure these unfortunate souls here at the door, and dispatch them without exposing ourselves to personal harm."

stack
2013-12-30, 04:12 PM
"Then open the hatch and let them up. We will be ready." Brom stands to one side, morningstar raised. ready to attack any undead coming up
att [roll0]
damage [roll1]

Kish
2013-12-31, 12:04 PM
Below the hatch is a stairway, leading down to the north. Neither light nor motion is visible down the stairway. "If no one has a lantern, I think you should lead," Ashlyn says, looking at Slayer.

stack
2013-12-31, 12:49 PM
"I may be able to assist with that, if they choose not to come to us." can cast light, probably on Gallard.

Vetril
2013-12-31, 03:46 PM
If Brom casts his spell on Gallard, the knight replies:

"Handy. Now let's see what's down there. Watch my back."

That said, the knight walks downstairs, the shield held up in front of him, ready for an attack.

MechaSimon
2014-01-01, 12:53 PM
Slayer follows Gallard down the stairs, his vision unhindered by darkness.

Hope everyone had a great holiday and Happy New Year! Sorry for slowing down during the holidays. I should be on a lot more now!

stack
2014-01-01, 02:05 PM
Brom follows as well, shield ready.

Kish
2014-01-01, 03:26 PM
Amid the litter of the collapsed floorboards is a dank understory. A partially smashed laboratory work bench stands in the northwest portion of the cellar, including an iron slab surrounded by a clutter of broken equipment. Something groans to the west.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Kish
2014-01-01, 03:32 PM
In the light coming from Gallard, you see that the source of the groan is a hideous, vaguely human shape. Emaciated, its arms are too long, its head is wide and wedge-shaped. A skeleton stands next to it, and two zombies shamble up to stand on either side of the shape and the skeleton. The row of monsters is about 20 feet from the party.

"You got past Father. Without killing him," the shape says in a nasal, emotionless voice. "I'm disappointed."

(Monsters won initiative, but none are moving forward. PCs' turn.)
(Gallard's sword [and Gallard]: Glowing.)

stack
2014-01-01, 10:02 PM
Move action to get a clear shot "Your disappointment will be short lived, foul creature." As Broms shield begins to glow, he points a finger at the creature, a beam of light leaping forth.

Move action to get a clear shot
turn undead (regular, not greater, only one left)
[roll0]
[roll1] x 1.5

searing light on the big one, att [roll2] vs touch, includes +1 from bless
damage
if not undead [roll3]
if undead [roll4]
if light-vuncerable undead [roll5]
construct or object (unlikely) [roll6]

know religion to identify [roll7]

M NG Human Cleric, Level 6, Init +3, HP 30/45, Speed 20
Magic Weapon
Bless
Turning Check:

neoseph7
2014-01-02, 10:21 PM
Ivyn Nadirna

Ivyn's interest in the book is almost overwhelming until he hears the harsh undead tones from the creatures below. He casts haste on as many of the party as he can (preferably including himself) and in the next round cast protection from evil on himself.

If given the opportunity before combat breaks out, Ivyn will carefully open the cover off of the book. If it feels like the protection from evil spell wavers due to manipulating the book, Ivyn will leave it be. Else, he will attempt to read it.[roll0]

Vetril
2014-01-03, 06:54 AM
Gallard and Jonnel move to Brom's side to form a shield wall.

"I think there might be an ambush waiting for us ahead. These creatures aren't so patient usually."

Both men are ready to hold the position.

Gallard and Jonnel form a line with Brom and prepare an action to strike any undead that gets within reach.

Kish
2014-01-04, 06:45 AM
The beam from Brom's hand flies wide, smashing a pile of debris on the floor. The skeleton turns and runs away, falling almost immediately on the debris-strewn floor, picks itself up and keeps running. The zombies start shambling away. The shape briefly looks annoyed, but its expression abruptly turns into one of unholy glee. Seeing no one will approach it, it lunges forward to sink its teeth into Brom (a standard attack rather than a charge because of the uneven floor). As it approaches, both Gallard and Jonnel swing at it.

[roll0][roll1][roll2]
[roll3][roll4]
[roll5][roll6]

Both Gallard and Jonnel miss the creature. Brom takes 19 damage and is dazed.
I neglected to factor in the +1 to attack rolls and AC from Haste, but it doesn't actually make a difference here; 17 still misses and 35 still hits.

I think I factored in Bless; let me know if my numbers were off.

stack
2014-01-04, 01:26 PM
Brom stands frozen, unable to act. Go luck all, I'm going to hang out in daze-lock city. Try not to die.:smallwink:

The no-save daze is more fun on the other side of the DM screen.

MechaSimon
2014-01-05, 01:14 PM
Slayer attempts to move behind the shape, before delivering a right cross.

If there is enough room to move to flank the shape (with Gallard) without provoking, Slayer will do so.

50ft Movement

[roll0]
[roll1]

Vetril
2014-01-06, 11:52 AM
Sir Gallard and Jonnel step in opposite directions to surround the creature.

"Now!"

"Get it!"

The knight's blade radiosity increases to a pure, almost painful white as he puts all his weight behind the Ravensgate weapon.

The two warriors unleash a sequence of attacks on the undead creature.

Gallard and Jonnel take a free step to flank the creature and help Slayer do so. I'm adding the +2 from flanking, if it's not possible to flank disregard it.

Gallard - full attack, smite evil with the first attack and the extra attack from haste: [roll0], [roll1]+[roll2]; [roll3], [roll4]+[roll5]; [roll6], [roll7]+[roll8].

Jonnel - full attack: [roll9], [roll10], [roll11], [roll12].

Kish
2014-01-09, 08:43 AM
All the blows aimed at the creature hit (I think you might have missed Jonnel's sickened penalty, but a 22 still hits), but it weathers them grimly. Ashlyn shoves Brom backwards forcefully and steps in front of him; he falls and hits his head on one of the stairs (Brom takes 1 damage). The creature bares its black, pointed teeth in an enraged snarl and tears a chunk out of Ashlyn.
[roll0][roll1]
PCs' turn.

neoseph7
2014-01-09, 08:58 AM
Ivyn Nadirna

Lost in thought pouring over the book, the sounds of combat rouse him from his scholarly pursuit. Dash it all, not again!

Ivyn will run to the ruckus, pulling out a vial of holy water en route, and lob it at the nearest undead.

Ranged Touch[roll0]
[roll1]and deals 1 damage to undead/evil outsider in 5ft radius

stack
2014-01-09, 09:18 AM
(Presuming outside of apparent reach) Brom stands unsteadily, shaken by the blow. Seeing the lady wounded, he touches her shoulder, unleashing a burst of light. burning remove paralysis for sure moderate [roll0]

Vetril
2014-01-10, 05:04 PM
The enemy's sheer toughness seems to only make the knight and his companion more determined to bring it down.
Gallard's sword doesn't shine like the sun anymore, but he keeps weaving a web of slashing blows as fast as he can, aided by the gnome's incantation.
Jonnel does the same, even though he seems to be slower than his friend.

Gallard and Jonnel use their free step to mantain flanking positions on the creature, as needed.

Gallard - full attack: [roll0], [roll1]+[roll2]; [roll3], [roll4]+[roll5]; [roll6], [roll7]+[roll8].

Jonnel - full attack: [roll9], [roll10]; [roll11], [roll12].

MechaSimon
2014-01-10, 06:27 PM
Combining Ivny's magic with his own natural speed, Slayer attacks the creature, his fists becoming a blur of motion.

Slayer will full attack the creature with a flanking bonus if possible. I believe these attack rolls are accurate with haste and flanking, minus flurry of blows. Please feel free to reduce or increase them if appropriate.

[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

[roll4]
[roll5]

Kish
2014-01-10, 06:40 PM
The holy water bottle breaks over the monster's head, two of Gallard's blows strike home, as do two of Slayer's blows. Jonnel misses cleanly, and Ashlyn is reeling.

The monster snarls, "Even if you kill me, you won't live much longer," and takes another bite out of Ashlyn.

[roll0][roll1]
PC's turn.

Vetril
2014-01-10, 07:40 PM
Jonnel sneers as he hears the undead speak. He seems to be getting tired, now.

Gallard, on the other hand, takes a moment to answer the creature. He doesn't speak too much: just a few, solemn words pronounced as he repositions to keep the monster between him and his allies.

"The light shall never fade."

Both warriors press the attack, trying to inflict a decisive blow.

Like the previous turn, Gallard and Jonnel continue flanking. Gallard also tries to interpose his person between the enemy and Ashlyn, if there is enough space.

Gallard - full attack: [roll0], [roll1]+[roll2]; [roll3], [roll4]+[roll5]; [roll6], [roll7]+[roll8].

Jonnel - full attack: [roll9], [roll10]; [roll11], [roll12].

Kish
2014-01-11, 10:47 AM
If Brom moves out of the way (either back up the stairs or away from the stairs)--or, alternatively, if Gallard doesn't mind shoving Ashlyn into Brom and likely knocking both of them over--he can interpose himself between Ashlyn and the monster, the way Ashlyn interposed herself between Brom and the monster round before last.

stack
2014-01-11, 01:20 PM
Brom heals Ashlyn again, then steps back to let her get clear. dispel for cure serious [roll0]

Kish
2014-01-14, 06:42 AM
As Gallard and Jonnel's swords slice into the monster, its voice deepens and it rumbles, nearly unintelligibly, "You...should...not...have...come...here." Then, as Gallard's sword makes one final cut, the monster abruptly collapses into thousands of tiny pieces on the floor.

Brom and Jonnel both realize they feel better. (Sickened condition is removed.) Gallard's sword flares briefly, and then fades.

(Gallard's sword: Not glowing.)

stack
2014-01-14, 08:17 AM
(Did the two turned undead fall as well, since the sword stopped glowing?)

Brom moves closer, studying the fallen creature. "From my improved condition, it would seem we have found the source of the matter. That poor man."

He pauses. "Let us ensure that no others can be tempted into such horror. Then back to the priest and the town, to ensure the threat has truly past."I say we take 20 searching the room, maybe the church. At least take 10. Also, heal up. Brom and Ashlyn are still wounded, how is everyone else?

Brom 10/45
remaining spells getting converted:
[roll0] obscuring mist
[roll1] shield of faith
[roll2]spiritual weapon
Brom is up to 43

Give me Ashlyn's HP OOC and I can roll wands charges for her if needed

Kish
2014-01-14, 08:38 AM
(Did the two turned undead fall as well, since the sword stopped glowing?)

(Can't tell, they ran [or rather, the skeleton ran, the zombies shambled] off into the darkness out of sight long enough ago that you can't see them. They're apparently not within range of the sword as undead, though.)

Give me Ashlyn's HP OOC and I can roll wands charges for her if needed
Ashlyn's hit points are 31/45.

Vetril
2014-01-15, 05:58 AM
Gallard leans on his sword, whereas Jonnel literally sits on the ground, leaning against the stone wall.

"I think we need to go back to that inn and take some time to rest. The village should be fine in the immediate future, but Strahd's shadow still lingers on this place."

Hearing Brom's suggestion, Jonnel stands back on his feet.

"I'll help you search the church."

The knight nods.

"I will also lend a hand. Oh, and that book - my opinion is that we should burn it. We should not tolerate the existance of an evil tome capable of bending the mind of good people like that priest."

Kish
2014-01-16, 07:49 AM
The zombies appear to have shambled to the edge of the room and then collapsed; the pile of bones on the other side of the room seems likely to have once been the skeleton. After you finish searching the basement, Ashlyn comments, "I somehow doubt this is still holy ground, but the only evil I can sense here now is..." Instead of finishing the sentence, she turns and glares at Ivyn.

stack
2014-01-16, 08:22 AM
"Now, I have not known him long, but he has proven himself a worthy companion. Now that book he claimed I would be more suspicious of. May I see it? Could you decipher anything about it?"

neoseph7
2014-01-16, 09:16 AM
Ivyn Nadirna

Looking behind him in the direction following Ashlyn's glare, Ivyn becomes thoroughly confused. "Huh? What evil? I don't see anything. I think your detection spell might need an alignment check."

Italics to for emphasis on the pun. An alignment is a process where you alter the stored data a detector or sensor uses to convert a signal to another variable or control function. An alignment check is when you check the alignment data. I only wish we had something involving the numbers 5 or 7 or such so that I could make a pun off of a Prime Standard Alignment.

Ivyn will show the book he pilfered to explain the evil detection result once Ashlyn explains that he is reading evil.

Vetril
2014-01-17, 09:34 AM
"It's just the book. As I said, we should destroy it, before someone else falls victim of its vile lore."

Kish
2014-01-17, 10:14 AM
(Ashlyn is female.)

"Yes, the book, I know," Ashlyn says, her tone still not overly friendly. She looks at Ivyn and shakes her head, then continues in a slightly less grim tone, "I wonder how the old priest got it." She moves to the stairs.

Slayer's indicated he's likely dropping out of the game; I'll reactivate or repost the recruitment thread this weekend.

Vetril
2014-01-17, 04:18 PM
"Jonnel, please, prepare a small fire."

"Sure. Just give me a couple of minutes."

Gallard reaches out towards Ivyn with his hand, the palm facing up.

"Would you mind giving me the book, my friend?"

stack
2014-01-17, 10:31 PM
Brom speaks, "Let us leave this befouled cellar. We will destroy the book in the light. Perhaps I can consecrate the church one these dead things have been removed, but now let us see to the living. If nothing else the people will need to know they are safe. The priest will need us as well, I suspect it will go poorly for him if the villagers put matters together and we are not there with him. Perhaps we ought send him away immediately, for his safety."

neoseph7
2014-01-18, 03:13 PM
Ivyn Nadirna

"Now now. Let us not be hasty." He says clutching the book tightly to his chest. "This tome might provide useful information. It is a manual on the creation of Flesh Golems. Clearly an indicator of intent. There may be notes written in the sides. At the least there should be a section on material regents required for the ritual. Those materials will be rare and will likely only be available in a finite number of locations. Locations we can search to hunt down this... Evil.

Kish
2014-01-18, 03:24 PM
Ashlyn shakes her head at Ivyn, but doesn't speak further before ascending the stairs and leaving the cellar.

(Let me know if you're leaving the cellar or continuing the debate there.)

stack
2014-01-19, 11:58 AM
Outside, Brom looks for the fallen priest.

Kish
2014-01-19, 07:31 PM
It's night now; the fog seems to have lifted. The priest has wandered a little way away from the church, but not far. As Brom approaches, he turns to face him. "He's dead for real now, isn't he," he sighs in a resigned voice.

stack
2014-01-19, 08:39 PM
Brom crosses to the man and puts a hand on his shoulder. "Yes, it is done. We will put him to rest properly in the morning, under the light of a new sun. Come, we are all tired and the townsfolk need to hear the news that they are safe. Perhaps...perhaps a full explanation can wait until the dead are buried."

Vetril
2014-01-19, 08:47 PM
Sir Gallard controls the tone of his voice, but it is clear that he is angry.

"I already know where this evil comes from: Strahd. All the omens point to him - and if he is indeed responsible for the suffering of the people he should have instead protected, I will do everything in my power to bring him down."

Calming himself down, the knight continues:

"That foul book drove a good man insane; that's a sufficient reason to destroy it. Please, Ivyn: I don't want to risk losing it and thus waste a good chance to rid the world of such infernal lore. I'd prefer not to force you, but it is something that has to be done for the good of everyone."

Kish
2014-01-21, 12:37 PM
Brom crosses to the man and puts a hand on his shoulder. "Yes, it is done. We will put him to rest properly in the morning, under the light of a new sun. Come, we are all tired and the townsfolk need to hear the news that they are safe. Perhaps...perhaps a full explanation can wait until the dead are buried."
"Thank you. You've been...much kinder than I deserved."

Ashlyn looks at the priest for a few seconds, then says just, "Hmm." Then she looks at Brom and says, "So is your plan to go back to the inn now? I think the others are still downstairs arguing."

stack
2014-01-21, 12:49 PM
"They will follow presently. The book will be dealt with, but we need not squabble over it now, not when there are people in sore need of good news." He takes Ashlyn aside, "Good lady, I will need your help. I fear the reaction of the villagers when they find out the priests...failing. I would prefer to set him on the road to redemption rather than see him hung by a mob, though he did commit crimes punishable by law, at least in any jurisdiction I know. Would you be willing to take him from here, to a friend of mine that can help him atone?"willing to head to the inn after this. Not sure if you planned on using the lady paladin after this, thought it would be a neat way to tie things up.

Kish
2014-01-21, 12:50 PM
She considers for a minute, then nods. "That's probably a good idea."

stack
2014-01-22, 12:24 PM
"Thank you for your aid. May the shining one light your way."

Turning back to the priest, "The lady will conduct you to an old friend of mine, not far from here. He will help you on the difficult road ahead." He scribbles a name and a brief introduction on a paper, handing it to the priest.

Kish
2014-01-22, 01:13 PM
Ashlyn and the priest walk away down the road.

(And now, it really is your move, Ivyn.)

neoseph7
2014-01-22, 07:47 PM
Ivyn Nadirna

"This book is evil. And it must be destroyed. I won't argue those points. Just not now. Give me a day to study it, within your supervision even. If Evil should start to taint me, I would want someone to stop me. I don't want you to suspend your suspicions.
"Furthermore, Sir Gallad, there are no shortages of brash decisions made on behalf of "the good of people" that led to bloodshed. If Strahd is indeed our villain, then there is the matter of how he manipulated our good priest at question. If his intentions were to have a golem fabricated, then this tome will have clues to his next targets. This puzzle needs more pieces. Please allow me some research." Ivyn will carefully wrap the book in cloth and keep it in his sack, away from perishable food. Then leave the desecrated church and follow the rest to town, unless stopped.

Kish
2014-01-24, 07:05 AM
The walk back to the inn passes without incident, though you see a number of corpses lying sprawled in the street, as though they abruptly collapsed. The night is clear and cold; you hear owls hooting in the distance.

The inn's common room still holds a number of people, but of those you previously spoke to, only the innkeeper is still there.

Vetril
2014-01-24, 08:28 AM
Onn the way back, Gallard and Jonnel debate what to do with the book that Ivyn stubbornly refuses to parte from.

"Consider a compromise, Gallard. I don't like the idea of letting such a thing alone for more than the necessary time it takes to start a fire, but that gnome is a mage, after all. Maybe he is right, that's all I am saying."

"I fear his motivations are merely egoistic, my friend. I'll give him time until tomorrow, but then I will see that the book is destroyed. That's as far as I am willing to go. There's the inn."

stack
2014-01-24, 12:05 PM
To Gallard, "We will all be vigilant. I will also let the matter rest till morning."

Brom enters the inn and removes his helm. "The foul curse of undeath has been lifted from your town. The streets appear empty, though caution would remains wise. We must spread the news and see if any remain in their homes in need of our aid."

Kish
2014-01-24, 07:56 PM
At Brom's pronouncement, the conversation in the common room dies down. A number of people turn and blink at you, looking nonplussed. "Just like that?" one of them blurts.

The innkeeper continues cleaning glasses, seeming not to have heard what you said or noticed the reaction to it.

JohnStone
2014-01-24, 10:13 PM
Saphina stood in the common room of the inn, leaning against a wall pondering her options.

Well Saph, sure is quite a pickle you got yourself into now. You've managed to spend the last of your coin, and i doubt the keep will give you a flat on credit, AGAIN.

Maybe I could try my luck at cards, No that didn't go so well last time, besides you don't have a buy in.

The halfling's thoughts were interrupted as a group of men, adventurers from the look, entered claiming victory over some undead curse. As the room fell silent a plan began to form in the young rogues mind. "Just like that? a man sitting just in front of her asked. Saphina saw an opportunity and decided to take a chance.

"That is a good point, how can you be so sure that ALL of the cursed are gone" "they can be rather difficult to find you know." She proclaimed as she stepped away from the wall and approached the man she assumed was the leader. Looking up at the paladin she added "Lucky for you I am a master tracker, and my specialty just happens to be undead." "Seems to me you owe these nice people some sort of reassurance." Pausing for dramatic effect Saphina finally exclaims "Fine I'll take the job, but i can't work for free you'll have to share what you find, you can pay my advance to the barkeep"

Not waiting for a reply the girl grabs her bag and joins the group cheerfully making introductions. "Saphina Starshine's the name, Ranger adventurer and slayer of all things unholy." Leaning closer to the parties wizard she whispers in gnomish "wow the big guys sure got alot of shiny armor eh."

stack
2014-01-25, 02:39 PM
"There appears to have been a central source, a powerful creature, that, once destroyed, removed the animation from the others. We must of course be cautious until we are certain, but the ones we have found so far appear to be vanquished."

He pauses, not by choice, as the miniature ranger's words flow in ceaseless stream. "Of course, we always welcome companions in the struggle against the darkness. There is likely more to be done here yet, even though the present threat appears past."

Vetril
2014-01-26, 04:36 PM
The knight eyes her with an indecipherable expression on his face. He seems to be considering something - perhaps Saphina's looks, perhaps the words she offered; maybe even her demeanor, who knows.

"Oh, we have our ways to track down the restless dead. As for you, hmm, maybe. We shall see; we are not going anywhere tonight, to tell the truth, so let's postpone the decision to the morning. The battle was taxing and we need to think about the next move."

Behind Gallard, Jonnel chuckles at Saphina's exhuberance.

Detect Evil on Saphina.

Kish
2014-01-26, 05:48 PM
Saphina does not read as evil.

JohnStone
2014-01-26, 07:33 PM
Saphina enjoyed The bed she was given on the paladins tab. warm and soft much better than the storeroom she had begged for from the innkeep.

First thing in the morning she awoke before sunrise performing her exercises before heading out the door.

As luck would have it the gnome's room was the closest. She knocked softly, but there was no reply. "hmm you know those wizard types, probably studying or something. I shouldnt bother him.

She passed by the clerics room assuming he would be deep in prayer or meditating.

When she got to Sir Gallard's room she excitedly knocked on the door "Hey, its morning" "what do you think should we track down some clues" "maybe we could visit the graveyard or something...probably not...what do you think we should do?"

neoseph7
2014-01-26, 09:47 PM
Ivyn Nadirna

When he enters the tavern for just a split second he hopes to see the weary eyes of his former traveling companions. As if the recent events hadn't weighed enough on his soul. Somehow, the book in his pack started feeling heavier.

The young halfling had more energy than he anticipated. And was occupying a little too much of Ivyn's personal bubble. With as much eloquence as a granate boulder, he replies in Terran with: "I hope there is no similarly lustrous cavity between your ears". He then looks in her eyes and smiles awkwardly and stammers out in Gnomish: Inddd..eed they do. A bunch of shiny toys marching in file. You should have seen them in action against the zombies. Quite heroic. Well met by the way. I'm Ivyn, and unfortunately quite exhausted. If you'll excuse me, maybe you can come by my room later for a better introduction.". He doesn't wait for a response. He doesn't say anything else other than polite chatter. As best he can, especially with the stench that follows him, he makes his way to his room, dropping off a coin with the porter.

That wasn't very nice He thinks to himself. Whether or not she understood is irrelevant. You know better. This is why nobody likes you. With a heavy sigh, Ivyn takes out the book and places it on the small bedside table in his modest room. Next to the book he places a vial of holy water. Just in case.

That night, Ivyn will study the book in earnest, looking for any clues as to what the priest intended to do and looking to see how far he got. He checks for rare ingredients that would be ideal places for further investigation.

Knowledge religion:[roll0]
Knowledge Arcana: [roll1]
Spellcraft: [roll2]
Decipher Script: [roll3]

Kish
2014-01-27, 09:39 AM
The night passes without incident other than the incidents party members cause each other.

(The results of Ivyn's study have been PM'd; I'd continue with "when you gather in the common room," except it sounds like at least a couple people have actions before that happens yet.)

(Gallard's sword: Not glowing at any point that he was awake to notice.)

stack
2014-01-27, 12:22 PM
Brom is out to great the dawn, welcoming any who wish to participate in a simple devotion. He returns to the inn with a determined look. "We must get to work. There are many to bury and the living to attend to as well. The sun shines, it is time to labor."

Vetril
2014-01-27, 07:16 PM
Sir Gallard leaves the room he is sharing with Jonnel, and heads downstairs.
The knight is not wearing any armor nor weapon: instead, he sports elegant, sophisticated clothes more adequate for a ball at the King's castle than for a village which just the day before was besieges by undeads.
Gallard gestures Saphina to wait for a moment; then, he calls the innkeeper.

"Please, good man; fetch me a pole and a big white piece of fabric. White, mind you."

Jonnel arrives, carrying Gallard's sword.

"At least take your sword with you, Gallard."

"We talked about it already. I cannot; and if I will not return, my family blade will be useful to you."

Jonnel doesn't seem satisfied by the answer, but he doesn't say anything. Having settled whatever matter the two were discussing, the knight now dedicates his attention to the halfling and to his friend.

"I defer you two to Brom for today's work. I am planning to do something else, and I won't be here to help you. Still, there's one more thing I can do, before I leave."

Without waiting for a reply, Gallard walks upstairs again, and stops in front of Ivyn's room door. He knocks on it and calls the gnome.

"Ivyn. It is morning, and we have a book to destroy."