PDA

View Full Version : IC Age of Worms: Trans-Atlantic Party

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

DarkOne-Rob
2013-12-30, 08:09 PM
At a perfumed arcade known as the Emporium, Governor-Mayor Lanod Neff rubs shoulders with common laborers awaiting an appointment in the Veiled Corridor. In an adjoining antechamber, snakes and exotic dancers gyre to a sonorous weave of cymbals and seductive pipes. A floor below, a gaggle of grasping miners presses against the windowed door of a darkened cell, impatient for a glimpse of a two-headed calf.

Out in the street, a gang of rowdies screams obscenities at a crumpled halfling, kicking it as if scrambling for a ball. Their drunken laughter echoes off shuttered windows and bolted doors.

In a tower-flanked fortress across the shadowy square, filthy men with nothing to lose shout hymns to St. Cuthbery, clutching to their idealism and principles like cornered animals. Their wild-eyed chief minister smiles as he draws a cat-o-nine-tails across his bare back, awash in their adulation and the spirit of his god.

But it's just another night in Diamond Lake...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The setting for the initial adventure in the Age of Worms is Diamond Lake, a corrupt mining town (barely a muddy smudge on the map) three days ride from the fabulous free city of Greyhawk. Diamond Lake’s inhabitants are predominantly minors and laborers, desperate folk who toil in lightless depths for a pittance while corrupt mine managers live in relative largesse, ruthlessly scheming to undermine one another and protect their piece of the action. When not working, everyone celebrates along the “Vein,” a seedy road lined with alehouses and brothels. Overall the village is a sooty, sullen place prone to unpleasant bursts of violence and passion.

A small garrison of about sixty militia soldiers is stationed here, to defend the mines (not the miners) from bandits and rogue lizardfolk from the southern swamps. Rival cults share the same flock of potential converts only because the timing is not yet right for outright warfare. Things are not safe in Diamond Lake, and a right-thinking person would have every reason to want to get out of town as soon as possible.

The uplands surrounding the town are rife for adventure, however. Full of ancient tombs and burial cairns of long-dead cultures, anything could be out there…

http://www.canonfire.com/wiki/images/d/db/Diamond_Lake01.jpg

Diamond Lake (small town): Conventional; Alignment - Neutral; Population - a bit more than 1,000; 800 GP limit; (96% human, 2% halfling, 1% gnome, 1% other races).

Governor-Mayor Lanod Neff (a lecherous philanderer eager to solidify his power and keep the mine managers in line)
Sherrif Cubbin (Neff's pocket police chief; as corrupt as his boss)

Allustan (Neff) (the "smartest man in town," Lanod's brother, a respectable wizard, trained in the city of Greyhawk; an appropriate mentor for a PC spellcaster)

The Mine Managers
Balabar Smenk (most ambitious and manipulative, owns 4 mines compared to each of the others' 1 mine each)
Chaum Gansworth (youngest manager, working to unite the other managers against Smenk)
Ellival Moonmeadow ("The Prince," the only elven manager, owns the only local silver mine, sees himself as above the rest of the "rabble" in town - which is probably true of the other mine managers)
Gelch Tilgast (lost his stranglehold on Diamond Lake to Balabar Smenk about 10 years ago, very resentful)
Luzane Parrin (only female mine manager, recently became a widow, courted by Balabar Smenk - whom she has rejected repeatedly)
Ragnolin Dourstone (only dwarven manager, reputed to have betrayed his own clan for a bribe)

The Emporium
Zalamandra (matron of the house, brilliantly combined forces with a professor Montague Marat - since departed - and his traveling sideshow and curiosity collection, has survived ten years in charge of the most profitable place in town to separate men from their coin - quite an achievement)
Shag Solomon (quaggoth aristocrat, "gentlemanly wild man," tells clever stories in the opium lounge)
Chezabet (fortune teller, uses Harrow deck, seductive performer but not a prostitute)
Kurlag (half-ogre bouncer)

Lazare of "Lazare's House" (former dragonchess champion of Greyhawk, purchased a mine in Diamond Lake 20 years ago, lost it to Balabar Smenk, still hates the man publically)

Kullen of "The Feral Dog" (seething albino half-orc thug)

The Visiting Adventurers
Auric (male human gladiator, wears a red/black girdle topped with a haunted female face - the Champion's Belt of the Greyhawk arena)
Khellek (male balding, dark-haired human wizard, plays dragonchess at "Lazare's")
Tirra (female elven archer, enjoys throwing daggers at "The Feral Dog")
"Entertainment"
Emporium (combination brothel, opium den, freak show, and gambling den, by far the most successful - and sometimes disgusting - display of vice in town).
Lazare's House (relatively cultured nightspot, focused on dragonchess games and private trysts between prospective lovers)
Feral Dog (cover-free competition with the Emporium and Lazare's, attracts the poorest laborers, hosts dog fights and is periodically subject to late-night brawls and knife fights between patrons, hosts a regular dagger-throwing contest)
Midnight Saulte (by-the-numbers house of ill repute, frequented by soldiers)
Spinning Giant (raucous, two-story tavern, popular with the garrison, named for "Flailing Felanore" a dim-witted giantess captured 40 years ago who has since died)
Rusty Bucket (popular restaurant, used to serve fish till the lake went bad, owned by Chaum Gansworth, considered neutral ground for mine manager politcs)

Inns
Jalek's Flophouse (very poor quality lodging)
Able Carter Coaching Inn (part of a network of inns, connected with a regular coach-service connecting Diamond Lake to many nearby destinations)

"Houses of Worship"
Church of St. Cuthbert (Jierian Wierus, head priest, dislikes Valkus Dun)
Chapel of Heironeous (part of the garrison, led by Valkus Dun, a likeable soldier/priest who cannot stand Jierian Wierus despite their common ideas on how to improve Diamond Lake)

Shops
Tidwoad's (cantankerous gnomish jewler)
General Store (run by an amiable man named Taggin)
The Captain's Blade (efficient melee weapon shop, run by Tyrol Ebberly - a weapon fanatic and enthusiast of adventurers' exploits)
Venelle's (bowyer, friend of the Bronzewood Lodge)
Osgood Smithy (Manlin Osgood is coarse but friendly, the best blacksmith in the region - easily recognized "O" makers mark on all products)

Residences
Tilgast (fine grounds, high quality stable-service provided)
Governor-Mayor's Manor (Neff) (visitation is by appointment only)

Other
Greysmere Covenant (dwarven mining/shipping business)
Smelting House (run by Banazel - the area's only alchemist)
Diamond Lake Boneyard (managed by the church of Wee Jas - church is outside of town)
Menhirs (Bronzewood Lodge) (an old stone ring often visted by residents of the Bronzewood Lodge, sacred to druids and rangers, rumored to be a relic from thousands of years ago)
Old Observatory (once housed an order of monks obsessed with celestial bodies, now abandoned)
Twilight Monastery (creepy order of monk/assassins, honors the night sky and prophecy, led by "Izenfen the Occluded," has a bad history with Diamond Lake)
Cairn of the Green Lady (devoted church of Wee Jas, honors and protects the tomb of a fallen saint of the church, lies across the Diamond Lake from the mining town of the same name, led by the priestess Amariss)
Bronzewood Lodge (small group of druids/rangers who venerate Obad-Hai, an old-faith neutral deity of nature)
Grossetgrottel (gnomish village-warrens, loose confederation, very suspicious of non-gnomes)
Cairn Hills (rough wilderness, picked-over of relics and artifacts of thousands-of-year old deceased civilizations)
Mistmarsh (south of the Cairn Hills, lizardfolk infested wilderness, primary reason Diamond Lake has a garrison)

DarkOne-Rob
2014-01-04, 07:07 AM
A Player's Introduction to Diamond Lake

The ramblings of Knuckston Grizzlebeard, common miner and regular patron of the Feral Dog Tavern, a week before his death by a falling girder in the Tilgast Mines:

So, you wanna know what life is like in Diamond Lake? Hells man, why would you want ta give a s+%@ about this place? It’s a piss hole. My old bones sweat their last in those mines, and I’ve got nothing to show for it except a case of gout and the hacking lungrot.

You ain’t going away are, ya?

Well then, sit down. . . I’ll talk to ye about the sights around here, but it’ll cost ya a few rounds . . . the Good Dwarven stuff too, you cheapskate.

Okay, where was I? Diamond Lake, a s@**hole like no other. . .

Governor-mayor Lanod Neff is the head cheese around here. He’s been appointed by Greyhawk itself because his father was a head cheese and got him started with a position at the Garrison that he didn’t deserve. Now, he sits in his massive manor house on the hill overlooking the town. It’s constantly under construction, mostly so Neff can try to outclass the other bigwigs in this berg.

The man himself? Hells! He’s a lying, cheating philanderer who spends more time chasing tail than doing any real work. He lines the pockets of his cronies to stay in power, and pays off that sheriff to keep him and his boys in line.

If it weren’t for his brother, Allustan Neff, Lanod’s body would have been dumped into a dry mine years ago by the other power brokers in town. Allustan’s a pretty powerful Wizard, probably the smartest man in town. I heard that back in Greyhawk, he had designs on being the head of a wizard’s academy, but fell out of favor and was forced into retirement. Since he was born and raised here, he ended up back where he started. I like to think he may have ran away from the big city with his tail between his legs, but, um . . . don’t tell anyone I told you that.

Anyway, the law around here, if you wanna call it that, is a big old bastard named Sheriff Cubbin. It’s no secret he’s in the pocket of the Mayor, and spends his time drinking and carousing in the various cathouses. When he got elected Sheriff, we laughed in our cups and threw darts at his head, until he arrested us all with his private battalion of cronies. Son of a b#!@@. . .

The only other law in town is the Garrison, ran by Colonel Tolliver Trask. He runs about 60 men in the old keep, but the snots never bother to step foot inside the town proper. Mostly, they patrol the miles of wilderness outside of town, and pray to their self-righteous god of honor. Truth is, Trask doesn’t care a lick for Diamond Lake, and he keeps his men out of our affairs. He’s just here to make sure his precious metropolis Greyhawk don’t get attacked from our direction. If anything really bad happens here, the gates of the keep will shut so fast that any honest wage earner standing in the way’ll get dashed against the walls.

The mines are everything here, and I’ve been breaking my back inside of ‘em for 30 years. The mine managers come and go, and deeds exchange hands over blackmail, gambling, and even downright murder and theft. At least that’s the rumor. It a tough business and I can say that through it all, I’m still here, digging away to line the pockets for every backstabbing son-of-a-b%~&@ that ever owned a mine.

Right now, there are six mine managers, who are considered to be the ones that matter in town. They have the chink to ignore the law, and hire their own thugs to keep order in their respective areas of business. They fight with the mayor sometimes, but for the most part they don’t do much but bicker amongst themselves for every scrap of ore they can squeeze out of the hills.

You want a rundown of who they are? What’s the point of that? It won’t last. . .

Ah . . . the hells with it . . . keep the ale coming. . .

Right now, the comer is Balabar Smenk. He is a fat, lecherous bastard who got his start from his old contacts in Greyhawk. He spends his time gambling, drinking, and scheming up new ways to take over this entire town. The mayor hates him, mostly because he’s scared. Smenk owns 4 mines right now, and is poised to get more. Balabar may have just enough of the town in his pocket to stage a coup of his own, but he’s usually too powdered up with perfume and sweaty finery to think about lifting a sword.

Of course, this has really pissed off Gelch Tilgast. Right now I work for the old fart, but it may not last. Before Smenk come into the picture, Gelch reigned over this berg for years like a petty lord, and now he’s getting a taste of what it’s like to be on the outs. I’ve even heard rumors that he’s trying to get support from other mine managers to fight off Balabar Smenk, but that’s probably hogwash. Tilgast doesn’t know which way is up these days, and they sure as hell wouldn’t deal with him after the way he’s backhanded them over the years.

He’s still better off that Luzanne Parrin. She inherited her mines from her mother, who died in the Red Death when she was still a pup. Now, twenty years later, she’s almost bankrupt, and it’s no secret that she’s sleeping with Chaum Gansworth to try and protect her own skin. She’ll be broke soon.

Chaum Gansworth has been in town for a while, and keeps a pretty low profile. Other than the fact that he’s sleeping with Luzanne, there ain’t much to tell. He does own the Rusty Bucket, and has dinner there quite often. I guess his mines are doing okay, but then again . . . how the hell am I supposed to know?

The same can be said for the other two mine managers. One’s an elf, some prancing panty waste named Ellival Moonmeadow. He only owns one silver mine, and doesn’t have anything to do with regular townsfolk like us. He just hangs out with his fellow elves, doing . . . well, whatever it is elves do when they’re together. Haw ha!

The other one is a dwarf, named Ragnolin Dourstone, who’s been here ever since I can remember. Like most Dwarves, he does well for himself in the mining profession, and has handpicked a number of spots to start new mines, all of them pretty damn successful. So far, neither Tilgast nor Smenk has managed to dent his business one bit . . . though they’ve both tried their best over the years.

In addition to the mines, all six mine managers share a single smelting house, located near the old piers. It’s pretty much monopolized by the city council in Greyhawk, and run like a tight ship. The chief smelter, Vulgan Durtch, is a recluse, and the entire operation resembles a fortress with no windows, and no unguarded entrances. They had to step things up a bit security wise, after one of the mine managers sabotaged a rival’s shipment. I hear there is an "alchimist" working there too, goes by the name Banazel...

Well, I can’t really go back all that far. My memory gets a little fuzzy when I think back to the old days. . . I do know that the area near the lake was run by some uppity feudal lord a long time ago. He built a keep, which currently houses the Garrison’s men. There are also a couple of old fences in the cairn hills where he tried to get his farming subjects to grow carrots and potatoes. I wonder how many of the idiot’s subjects starved to death!

Well, his sons started exploring the cairns and old gravesites that litter this whole area. I guess they found quite a bit of loot from the olden days . . . and I don’t mean 50 years ago. I mean really old days. Hundreds of years ago.

Anyway, all this loot attracted the attention of Greyhawk, and pretty soon they bought off the noble kids and annexed this whole area for themselves. They hired a group of adventurers to explore it all, and sucked every last treasure dry from those old tombs.

That would have been the end of Diamond Lake, except prospectors and surveyors came in and took measure of the land. It’s still s*$# for growing anything but weeds, but wouldn’t you know they discovered a massive cache of silver lodes and massive veins of iron under the hills, including the one we’re sitting on right now?

Now, years and years later, it’s said that that we’re the cornerstone of Greyhawk’s ore supply. Not like they’d pass any of that wealth onto common laborers like us, you understand. When I was a kid, getting a meal was as easily as casting a line in the Lake. Now, the smelting house and associated runoff has polluted the water so much, the merchants have to send off to Greyhawk just to get a week-old, salted flounder.

As far as recent history goes, there ain’t much to tell . . . honest folk are still getting screwed and the wealthy are still getting richer off of our sweat. Let’s see. . .

There’s an old ring of stones out in the boonies, called the Menhirs. It’s visited by Rangers, Druids, and other freeloaders. No one knows who built it, but they say the worn stone have been there for centuries.

The Old Observatory used to be a haven to some scholarly Monks, who used to prance about and read off astrology. They packed up shop when I was just a kid, and since then it’s pretty much sat abandoned.

Then, of course, about 19 years ago, a pretty bad plague called the Red Death swept through and killed a good many of us. I lost my sister to the Boneyard, and me son’s still got vapors and can’t make a living. I even had it myself, but it’s weren’t too bad on me. I did get a pretty lumpy scar from it on the back o’ my head though. You wanna see it?

No? Ah well. . .

There’s nothing like spending a day’s wage in Diamond Lake. We may not get much in the way o’ housing, sanitation, or any of that frilly city crap that doesn’t do any good anyway . . . but we do have entertainment in spades.

If you have the money, the Emporium is the place to be. It’s run by a lady of the night, Zalamadra, and she’s got a whole cadre of the sweetest ladies you ever saw at her disposal. They sit in perfumed glory in the upstairs area she calls the Veiled Corridor. There aren’t any veils there that I’ve seen, but then again, I’ve never asked for one. There’s also a Den on the top floor where you can obtain the use of other substances that twist your mind around and make you talk funny, if you’re into that. There are plenty of games of chance, and a very interesting freak show downstairs full of dangerous and exotic creatures. Just last week, I heard a rumor that a crazed demon child escaped its cage and went on a fiery rampage. They haven’t caught it yet, and I’m keeping a sharp lookout. They say its hide has magic designs on it, and I’ll bet its worth a few pennies to its owners. I have a boot dagger handy in case I run into the thing.

If you like boredom, you can always visit Lazare’s House. It’s a fancy, high class place with a steep price. I remember when Lazare managed a mine in town, until his wife got sick and he was bankrupted, selling everything to that bastard Smenk. Inside his place, there’s no music, no dancing girls, and no fun. I heard everyone sits at tables and plays Dragonchess, a game with over 40 pieces and a multilevel board. Lazare used to be a champion, and has somehow pushed his habit on some of the upper crust. It’s a snore, but at least you can gamble on it.

If you find yourself a little light of chink, there are a few other places you can visit for fun. The Midnight Salute is a pretty cheap place to get some female action, but they cater heavily to the Garrison’s crowd. If you’re looking to get drunk or do some low-end betting, there’s the Feral Dog, where you can see some pit dogs tear each other to pieces, and get into a bar brawl or two. It can get rough, even for a guy like me, but it’s worth it because they don’t charge you to get in. Your other choice among the chaff is the Spinning Giant, but the other patrons are usually garrison soldiers, so you have to be tolerant of drunken chants and men who like to slap each other on the butt. They don’t tolerate stealing or bad manners, and there isn’t a card game to be found anywhere in the vicinity.

If you’re just hungry for some food, you can go to the Hungry Gar. The chef there is a pretty decent cook, but there’s only so much you can do with snared rabbits and deer meat. One alternative is the Rusty Bucket, which has a pretty decent common room as well.

Finally, if information of the outside world is your cup of tea, many out-of-towners stay at the Able Carter Coaching Inn. The main thrust of the business is running coaches and supplies back and forth to Greyhawk, Blackwall Keep, Elmshire, and other parts west. Boarders from all over stay there, mostly for short term business, so a good conversation about Greyhawk and other part o’ the world are in good order there. Plus, if you’re willing to pay, they’ll take horses too.

Nine Hells, you can always do what I do. You can always spend thirty years of your life slaving away to Gelch Tilgast, only to see your life get poured down the drain when he sells the mine to Balabar Smenk in a few years. Smenk pays two coppers cheaper, and you work a longer shift. Bastards.

There are plenty o’ places to get business done in Diamond Lake. You got something to buy or sell, you can most likely procure your needs right here.

Let’s see. . . we got Tidwoad’s Jewelry, run by a uppity gnome of the same name. He cheated my mother out of her jewels for half their worth, so I can’t vouch for his honesty, but you should see his collections in the window – whew! . . . He swears that his shop is burglar proof, and so far, no one’s taken him up on the challenge. I’d like a few of those baubles for myself, that’s the honest truth.

The General Store is where you can pick up just about any mundane equipment you’d ever need. Taggin runs it pretty reasonable, and has all the supplies you need to travel overland for a month, or survive a mountain climb. He stays outta people’s business, and sticks to his own outfit.

If you’re looking for weapons, Tyrol Ebberly has a good shop. He claims to be a watch captain in Greyhawk, but be must’ve done something wrong to end up here. He has a few artifacts from the Cairn hills that he’s found. If you’re interested his place is called The Captain’s Blade.

Venelle’s contains some of the finest bows in the land. Venelle herself is happy to sell anything she has, if she can locate it through all the clutter o’ her shop. I took up bow hunting myself once, and stood all day in a tree stand, on her advice. The only thing I caught was a damned cold.

Manlin Osgood. . . now there’s a man I can hang a reputation on. He’s a right fellow and an able drinking companion, if his head’s right. He doesn’t bluff at cards, he’s always ready with a backslap and a handshake, and he makes the finest masterwork armor in the region. A few from Greyhawk come to Osgood’s Smithy special, just to access his team of apprentice blacksmiths.

That’s about it. There are other places in town to get things, but I wouldn’t recommend it. When your life depends on a wooden girder underground, you better make sure the right hands set it up, if you catch my meaning.

In Diamond Lake, it’s better to be gouged by an honest exploiter than outright cheated by a thief, so stick to those places I mentioned . . . you should be fine.

There are a few churches in town that have gained a following, but I wouldn’t recommend any of ‘em. The best church for me are the Halls of the Veiled Corridor, where you can tithe your money for a cause that’s worthy of your coin, and get a little bit of sweetness besides.

However, if you insist, you can go to the Church of Ct. Cuthbert, right on the center of town. The sermons there are full of piss and vinegar, led by Jierian Wierus, whose favorite activity is to flog his own backside with a cat-o-nine-tails, and go to the seedy parts of town to convert others to do the same. His following is 150 strong and growing.

If they’d make you feel welcome, you can go to the garrison and sit at the Chapel of Heironeous. It’s mostly full of soldiers, who like to puff themselves up with honor before riding around the countryside in their fancy armor. Valkus Dunn is the righteous bastard in charge, preaching about public do-goodery, but doing nothing about it. He opens the service up to the public, but no one goes except men who swing swords for a living.

If you like nature, you can traipse out in to the boonies to visit the Bronzewood Lodge. Its run by a cleric of Obad-Hai who likes to scare people about bogeymen in the hills, but I can’t imagine why they’d sit out in the middle of nowhere with nothing to entertain them. Trying to fill the coffers so he can get back to real civilization is my guess.

There’s also a Temple of Wee-Jas around here somewhere, called the Cairn of the Green Lady, but you won’t see them much unless you go the Boneyard and visit the graves they tend to. When my Suzie died from the Red Death, they took her thin, deformed bones and washed her up real pretty. Then they stood around and gave a little speech about mortality and life, but I didn’t have a penny to give ‘em. They went ahead and did it for free.

Anyway, that’s pretty much a good rundown of Diamond Lake for ya. You wasted enough of my time, so get out of my face and stop asking questions. I got a few coppers left in my pocket, and I want to get to the Emporium to see that damned two-headed mule again . . .

http://kingsupremus.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/f75555ad36ecd6fb.jpg

DarkOne-Rob
2014-04-05, 03:45 PM
Idle chatter around the town speaks of a trio of well-dressed adventurers who are frequenting the taproom of the “Feral Dog,” Diamond Lake’s most notorious tavern. They speak with confidence of hard-won battles during their trek from Greyhawk and their intentions to explore the long-abandoned “Stirgenest Cairn” on the lake’s distant shore. While it sounds exciting, natives to Diamond Lake know that cairn is often explored by the community’s youth; it is always found empty and completely harmless.

But not all the tombs in the area are so harmless. Another cairn, found within a day’s ride of town, lies near an old iron mine that was abandoned about 50 years ago. The mine’s charter lapsed when its manager died a few years later. Situated in a sort of no-man’s land, the tomb was all but forgotten, its yawning entrance overgrown with weeds and choked with debris. When a curious teenager rediscovered it a decade ago it became a sort of community secret held by Diamond Lake’s youth. It used to be something of a coming of age rite for children to disappear into the cyclopean entrance to prove their bravery. They would dare each other to spend a night within its depths, with bragging rights to those few who succeed. When a local girl vanished one night while sleeping in the cairn six years ago, the games became more cautious, but never quite stopped. When the wind hits just right, haunting, almost magical tones emerge from the depths of this forlorn hole. Those in the know call it the “Whispering Cairn.”

While no one in town will tell the visiting adventurers of the follow of their “expedition” (the money is too good!), rumors have circulated amongst the townsfolk of valuables to be found in some of the hidden passages and graves of the other tombs in the area. And of these tombs, the best kept secret (so far) is the Whispering Cairn. In a hellhole like Diamond Lake, any chance at a profit is a chance to get out, and worth taking. Perhaps a local “expedition” to the tomb would prove to be that chance.

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z145/gaufgauf/worms/adventurers.png
(Auric, Khellek, and Tirra, the three adventurers from Greyhawk City)

Everyone gets together to go out to the predetermined starting place. About a mile from the entrance to the Whispering Cairn is an old, abandoned iron mine. Just outside the mine itself is a ruined mine office, left after the mine ran dry about fifty years ago. Rumor has it that this building is up for grabs from the local land office (for a small price), and its location on the outskirts of town near the tomb makes it an ideal base camp for expeditions into the cairn.

DarkOne-Rob
2014-04-09, 06:05 AM
The party sets out from Diamond Lake without incident, making their way to the old, abandoned mine office near the Whispering Cairn. The land is rough and rocky, with hills and ravines all over. About a half-hour outside of town you turn off the trail and cross country towards where the building should be. Another several minutes and you see it.

The modest dwelling squats upon the crown of a small hill. While the rough stone walls of the first floor look mostly intact, the second floor has completely collapsed. A half height wall rings the house, bit it too is in a state of severe disrepair. Rubble and dense weeds choke the yard. You don't see any signs of life around, but know better than to assume anything. You should check inside and make sure it is safe before entering the cairn.

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h149/prophane/MineOffice.jpg

Untarr
2014-04-09, 03:55 PM
Arkiana pulls the hood off her cloak for the first time since the party departed. Her hands pause over her scars. Sighing, she picks her way through the weeds towards the house.

Familiar Perception [roll0]
Arkiana Perception [roll1]
Knowledge Local [roll2] to know anything about the house.
Arkiana Stealth [roll3]

JWallyR
2014-04-09, 04:26 PM
OOOOoooOOOOh, looks SPOOKY! giggles Jan. I wonder what's inside!!!

Jan follows Arkiana, very deliberately mimicking her careful steps while clearly making no effort to be stealthy.

Untarr
2014-04-09, 06:46 PM
Arkiana stops moving. Slowly turning her head, her one good eye glares down at Jan.

I wouldn't have thought of causing such a cacophony while approaching a strange dwelling where just about anything could be living. How clever... It is a wonder you are still alive. I know you are a gnome, but I would expect, at least, some instinctual reaction that lends itself to SURVIVAL.

JWallyR
2014-04-09, 07:05 PM
Jan takes one look at Arkiana's disapproving glare and pouts before taking a few steps back, rolling her eyes, and very deliberately NOT saying anything.

Albinobrow
2014-04-09, 08:36 PM
I appreciate you letting me join you and your friends Arkiana, but are you sure that this is a good idea? Dr. Olofire looked around worried about what he might see in the windows of the house. He walked up slowly trying not to disturb the growth around the house. He tried to discern what type of weeds they were to give him something else to concentrate on.

Perception [roll0]
Knowledge (Nature) [roll1]

Untarr
2014-04-09, 08:51 PM
No. But bringing the gnome was not my idea...

Arkiana shakes her head...

MuffinMan
2014-04-09, 09:19 PM
Lyr suppresses a gasp as Arkiana draws back her hood to reveal her scars. He's heard about them secondhand from Olofire and Frederick, but this is his first time seeing them himself.

Not for the first time, he feels a pang of regret as he thinks, I should have been there. And not for the first time, he feels a flash of anger towards the strange little fellow who is their most recent companion. He calls himself a doctor, and while Olofire might very well have saved Arkiana's life, still Lyr can't help thinking that if only someone more ... competent... had been there, things might have been different. Someone like me...

Jan's outburst brings him back to reality. Readjusting the chained blade on his shoulder, he trudges up with his staff to join the others at the entrance to the building. Studiously not looking at Arkiana, he addresses her casually, "Something's different about you today... don't tell me, new hairstyle?"

Perception [roll0] around the building

Farmerbink
2014-04-09, 09:55 PM
Frederick sighs heavily as he passes through the opening in the dilapidated wall, his head falling to survey the weedy yard and unkept building before him.I will be... displeased if anything worse than disrepair has come to this place. After what they did to my home...

[roll0] (lol, I forgot how bad my perception checks were going to be on this guy.... :( Also, since this is the first roll, and nothing of import has happened (or anything at all, for that matter), I've slightly adjusted my ability scores to be less.... bad. NO MORE CHANGES!

After a brief shake, he raises his head sharply, and turns to face the group.

I don't know if I ever told you all; this was where I first learned to swing a blade.

Eyes slightly glazed as he stares into the middle distance, Frederick -seemingly out of habit- draws the great blade from its sheathe across his back. Shifting his gaze back to the front door, he continues.

Well, the place isn't going to investigate itself. Come on, then.

Oh, and don't even try the stairs, they wouldn't hold me when I weighed 60 pounds less and wasn't armored. Heh.

Leroy, wait here.

He unconsciously lifts his left hand to his lower back as he strides forward intently, great sword held firmly at his side.

Untarr
2014-04-09, 10:27 PM
The corners of her mouth curl up revealing a half-hearted smile at Lyr's comment. Quickly suppressed, you would question she had even smiled at all. Her face set like a stone, she follows Frederick into the house.

DarkOne-Rob
2014-04-09, 10:48 PM
The ground is very rough except for a small footpath worn from the gate to the door of the building (difficult terrain except along this path). Dr. Olofire looks closely at the weeds but notices nothing out of the ordinary about the plants. He does see signs of something else, though. It looks like the plants have been stomped on a lot recently.

After making it halfway across the yard a loud buzzing noise can be heard coming from around the house. Frederick remembers an old well can be found over there and is about to say something Arkiana and her scorpion familiar gasp and she points at the left-hand corner of the building. A moment later everyone can see four tiny insectoid creatures with two sets of wings and a needle-sharp proboscis come flying straight towards the party!

Roll initiative and give me your first round actions. Based on your posts the PCs are in the following walking order: Arkiana, Jan, Lyr, Olofire, and Frederick. You are not surprised and can act normally. The creatures look like they will close to melee range during their turn.

MuffinMan
2014-04-09, 11:03 PM
Round 1

[roll0] (reposted b/c it didn't roll the first time)

Lyrindethos Al'thallenon (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=810776)
M CN Half-Elf Cleric, Level 1, Init +4, HP 10/10, DR -, Speed 40
AC 15, Touch 12, Flat-footed 13, CMD 15, Fort +3, Ref +2, Will +4, CMB +3, Base Attack Bonus 0, Action Points -
reach Flying Blade (-) +1 (+5 opportunity) (1d12 + 4, x3)
Quarterstaff (-) +3 (1d6 + 4, x2)
Spiked Gauntlet (-) +3 (1d4 + 3, x2)
Studded Leather (+3 Armor, +2 Dex)
Abilities Str 16, Dex 14, Con 13, Int 10, Wis 15, Cha 10
Condition None
Daily Use Abilities
Channel Positive Energy 0 / 3
Bit of Luck 0 / 5
Agile Feet 0 / 5

"What the-" Dropping his staff, Lyr draws the chain-blade from his shoulder and moves into position between Arkiana, Jan, and the insects. "Stay behind me!"

Move action to draw and move action to move. If I go first, get in position between the insects and the casters, for sweet attacks of opportunity. Otherwise gets 15ft away, just outside of flying-blade range

Untarr
2014-04-09, 11:24 PM
Round 1

Arkiana VanDuren (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=751636)
Female Lawful Neutral Elf Wizard, Level 1, Init +10, HP 7/7, DR 0, Speed 30
AC 14, Touch 14, Flat-footed 10, CMD 12, Fort +1, Ref +4, Will +4, CMB -2, Base Attack Bonus 0, Action Points N/A
- Ray of Frost (-) +4 (1d3+1, 2x)
(+4 Dex)
Abilities Str 7, Dex 18, Con 11, Int 18, Wis 14, Cha 7
Condition None
Familiar: Greensting Scorpion
3/3 HP NonLethal DMG: 0
+2 Fort, +2 Will, +3 Ref
AC 18, Touch 15, FF 15

Stealth[+19], Perception[+ 8], Climb [+7]

60 ft. Darkvision, M Speed, Empathic Link, Improved Evasion, Share Spells

Her cloak billowing, Arkiana quickly steps off the path and into the weeds. Raising her hand up, she fires a ray of ice out of her outstretched palm.

Initiative [roll0]
Ray of Frost (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/spells/rayOfFrost.html#_ray-of-frost)
[roll1] Attack vs Touch
[roll2] Confirmation
[roll3] Frost Damage

How far away are they? I think my spell will work, but I'm not sure. I'm going to try to AoE them next round, but I need a little help with positioning so I don't fry someone else.

Untarr
2014-04-09, 11:27 PM
[roll0] to identify and remember any relevant combat information

Albinobrow
2014-04-09, 11:35 PM
[roll0]

Dr. Olofire Lightouch (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=848022)
Male N. Good Halfling Alchemist (Vivis/Chirurgeon), Level 1, Init +4, HP 13/13, Speed 30 ft
AC 17, Touch 15, Flat-footed 13, CMD 13, Fort +4, Ref +7, Will +1, CMB -1, Base Attack Bonus 0
Scalpel (dagger) +5 (1d3, 19-20/x2)
Sling (Bullets) +5 (1d3, x2)
Leather Armor (+2 Armor, +4 Dex, +1 Size)
Abilities Str 10, Dex 18, Con 12, Int 16, Wis 10, Cha 9
Condition None

"What is that?!" Dr. Olofire grabs his scalpel unsure of where to go or what to expect.

Move action to grab scalpel. Standard Knowledge (Nature) [roll1] to recognize what these creatures are. Keeping eye out for opportunity to flank, or for them to lose their DEX bonus to AC somehow.

Farmerbink
2014-04-09, 11:37 PM
Frederick Strongarm (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=752782)
M LG Half-Orc Paladin, Level 1, Init +0, HP 12/12, Speed 30
AC 17, Touch 10, Flat-footed 17, CMD 15, Fort +3, Ref +0, Will +1, CMB +5, Base Attack Bonus 1
Masterwork Greatsword +6 (2d6+6, 19-20/x2)
Warhammer +5 (1d8+4, x3)
Longbow (40 standard arrows) +1 (1d8, x3)
mainhand locked gauntlet Spiked Banded Mail, Heavy Steel Shield (+7 Armor)
Abilities Str 18, Dex 10, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 8, Cha 16
Condition None

[roll0]

Umm.... Did you put our walking order to be the order in which we posted? Starnes clearly wrote "follows Frederick into the house," and I fully intended to be up front. :(

Frederick quickly sheathes his great sword, and steps forward, leaving space between himself and Lyr. He locks eyes with the elf for just a moment before drawing his shield and war hammer. I second that motion! Let us see just how frightening this tiny foe is!

Move action to sheathe the great sword. Next move action to ready the war hammer and shield while moving into position? (I kinda thought I was already up front)

JWallyR
2014-04-10, 02:59 PM
Janstina Silentall (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=764533)
F Chaotic Good Gnome Sorcerer, Level 1, Init +4, HP 11/11, Speed 20
AC 13, Touch 13, Flat-footed 11, CMD 9, Fort +2, Ref +2, Will +1, CMB -3, Base Attack Bonus 0
(+2 Dex, +1 Size)
Abilities Str 6, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 8, Cha 20
Condition None

Jan gives a gasp/squeak of surprise/excitement as she sees the bugs round the corner. As she points and shouts Watch out!!, a greenish ray springs from her outstretched finger...

Initiative: [roll0]
Attack: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]

DarkOne-Rob
2014-04-10, 06:41 PM
Round 1

In a blur of motion Lyr and Frederick move to the front to protect the party. While both Arkiana and Jan's bolts miss and Olofire waits to grab a flanking position the creatures buzz in to attack. Lyr's strange weapon lashes out, missing the first attacker but slashing two more right out of the air! Frederick swings with his hammer, but the creatures are too small and fast for him. One of the tiny fliers tries to land on Lyr and fails. The other gets an opening, lands on Frederick, and shows its mosquito-like nature by impaling its long proboscis into the paladin. The big man feels his lifeblood being sucked out through the wound! Finally Olofire steps into the melee, looking for an angle to attack the biter attached to his companion.

You both recognize the stirges as nasty bloodsucking things. They are known to drain blood till they are sated (usually four rounds of feeding), flying away afterwards. They often carry diseases too.
Two enemies remain, one grappling with Frederick (attached and draining blood) and one flying around Lyr. Olofire and Frederick can effectively flank the one attached to the paladin. Frederick takes 1 Constitution damage this round and can get free by either attacking the stirge and killing it (while attached to him it has a lower AC) or succeeding in a grapple/Escape Artist Check against it.

Lyr - Moves in between stirges and casters, 3 attacks of opportunity
[roll0] attack (AC 16), [roll1] to confirm a crit on natural 20 for triple damage, [roll2] damage (miss)
[roll3] attack (AC 16), [roll4] to confirm a crit on natural 20 for triple damage, [roll5] damage (hit)
[roll6] attack (AC 16), [roll7] to confirm a crit on natural 20 for triple damage, [roll8] damage (hit)
Olofire - Draws scalpel and moves for a flank (delaying move till after the stirges move), recognizes them as stirges (attack, blood drain, diseases)
Arkiana - Misses with Ray of Frost, recognizes them as stirges (attack, blood drain, diseases)
Frederick - Sheathes greatsword and draws hammer/shield, attack of opportunity
[roll9] attack (AC 16), [roll10] to confirm a crit on natural 20 for triple damage, [roll11] damage (miss)
Stirges - charge and attach/blood drain
[roll12] touch attack Lyr (Touch AC 12), grapple on hit, 1 Con damage, [roll13] diseased (miss)
[roll14] touch attack Lyr (Touch AC 12), grapple on hit, 1 Con damage, [roll15] diseased (dead before attack could happen)
[roll16] touch attack Frederick (Touch AC 10), grapple on hit, 1 Con damage, [roll17] diseased (dead before attack could happen)
[roll18] touch attack Frederick (Touch AC 10), grapple on hit, 1 Con damage, [roll19] diseased (hit, not diseased)
Jan - Misses with Acid Bolt SLA

Untarr
2014-04-10, 07:51 PM
Round 2

AC 14, Touch 14, Flat-footed 10, CMD 12, Fort +1, Ref +4, Will +4, CMB -2, Base Attack Bonus 0, Action Points N/A
(+4 Dex)
Abilities Str 7, Dex 18, Con 11, Int 18, Wis 14, Cha 7
Condition None
+2 Fort, +2 Will, +3 Ref
AC 18, Touch 15, FF 15

STIRGES! They'll drain your blood and leave you a disease as payment. Best we get that off him quickly.

She raises her hand fires another bolt at the un-attached Stirge.

Ray of Frost (http://paizo.com/prd/spells/rayOfFrost.html)
[roll0] Atk vs Touch
[roll1] DMG

JWallyR
2014-04-10, 08:05 PM
Round 2

Jan gawks at her own finger for a moment before remembering that there's a fight going on! Letting out a gleeful cackle, she points at the loose bug emphatically, relishing the surge of energy as it explodes from her finger!

Acid Ray:
Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

MuffinMan
2014-04-10, 09:02 PM
Round 2

Lyrindethos Al'thallenon (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=810776)
AC 15, Touch 12, Flat-footed 13, CMD 15, Fort +3, Ref +2, Will +4, CMB +3, Base Attack Bonus 0, Action Points -
Condition None
Daily Use Abilities
Bit of Luck 0 / 5
Agile Feet 0 / 5

The stirge buzzing about too close for his blade, Lyr shifts the chain to his left hand and punches at the pest with his spike-enclosed fist. Then, noticing both women preparing to fire, he skips back away from the bug and re-grasps his chain-blade.

Attack with spiked guantlet at [roll0] for [roll1] damage. Then use Acrobatics at [roll2] to avoid an attack of opportunity while moving. Move to put 15ft between stirge and Lyr (enough for another AoO), preferentially staying between it and the casters. EDIT: And if difficult terrain would prevent Acrobatics, activate "Agile Feet"! XD

Albinobrow
2014-04-10, 09:25 PM
Dr. Olofire Lightouch (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=848022)
Male N. Good Halfling Alchemist (Vivis/Chirurgeon), Level 1, Init +4, HP 13/13, Speed 30 ft
AC 17, Touch 15, Flat-footed 13, CMD 13, Fort +4, Ref +7, Will +1, CMB -1, Base Attack Bonus 0
Condition None

That's right! I dissected a few back in school! They are particularly vulnerable right... HERE! Dr. Olofire moves a little closer and jabs his scalpel into the stirge still attached to Frederick.

Moves to flanking position on grappling stirge. Stabbity Stab stab!
Scalpel attack [roll0]
Damage scalpel [roll1] + sneak attack [roll2]

Farmerbink
2014-04-10, 11:23 PM
Round 2

Frederick throws his flail to the ground, bellowing, BAH! WANT SOME SKIN, DO YOU!? HAVE IT THEN!

Using his now empty hand, he reaches up to the creature drawing blood from his neck and crushes its torso against his chest. As his blood squirts out of the creature's crumpled corpse, he flings it to the ground and spits.

Stupid animal. I hope you're happy.

With a final stomp on the now lifeless corpse, he turns his attention to Olofire. With a pleasant (?) smile, he comments: I do appreciate the effort, my small friend.

As per grappling damage: [roll0] Since it has 5 HP, and I'm pretty sure Trey nailed it for 2, I took some liberties with the RPing ^_^

DarkOne-Rob
2014-04-11, 01:16 AM
Round 2

Lyr drops one end of his flying blade and punches at the remaining stirge. He misses and steps to the side up the trail. Olofire stabs the stirge attached to Frederick, doing a sizable amount of damage to the creature. Arkiana and Jan miss with their respective magic rays, while Frederick dramatically squishes the stirge attached to him. Finally, the remaining stirge looks for easier prey and flies in to attack Arkiana, attaching itself to her exposed arm and draining some of her blood!

Lyr – Misses with spiked gauntlet attack, moves away without incurring an attack of opportunity (stirge are tiny, cannot reach)
Olofire – Deals 2 damage to the stirge attached to Frederick
Arkiana – Misses with Ray of Frost
Frederick – Obliterates the stirge attached to him
Stirges – Moves and attacks Arkiana, incurring no attacks of opportunity (Lyr had to drop one end of his Flying Blade to attack with the spiked gauntlet and Frederick threw down his flail)
[roll0] Touch Attack (Touch AC 14), attaches, deals 1 Con damage (hits)
Jan – Misses with Acid Bolt

Lyr and Frederick cannot make attacks of opportunity (Lyr had to drop one end of his two-handed weapon to strike with his gauntlet, and Frederick dropped his flail to kill the stirge attached to him). Lyr does not incur an attack of opportunity for his movement because the stirge is tiny and cannot attack out of its own square. Arkiana takes 1 Constitution damage from the stirge and is grappled by the foul creature.

MuffinMan
2014-04-11, 01:37 AM
Round 3

Condition None
Daily Use Abilities
Bit of Luck 0 / 5
Agile Feet 0 / 5

Lyr curses as he misses an opportunity while the bug goes whizzing by. Seeing it latch onto Arkiana, too close for him to risk swinging a blade, he drops the chain and charges the creature, winding up a powerful blow!

Charge and attack, using Agile Feet if necessary. Swinging a blade on a 10 ft chain at a Tiny creature grappling a squishy ally doesn't seem too smart... Thus, drop the blade and attack with spiked gauntlet at [roll0] for [roll1] damage.
EDIT: If the flanking bonus applies that'd be a 12... enough to squash an overgrown mosquito?

DarkOne-Rob
2014-04-11, 02:31 AM
Round 3

Lyr smacks the stirge off Arkiana's arm, killing the little bloodsucker in the process.

So far you haven't had to use your Agile Feet ability. Once we are using the maps that will be clearer.
End of combat

Made of smooth stone blocks, the old building stands in shambles. Thick vines creep up the side and most of the windows are broken. The front door hangs open, barely on its hinges, under a sagging and partially collapsed porch. You cannot see much into the building, but Frederick remembers a bit about the layout inside:

The first floor of the manor consists of five chambers. Frederick remembers that the largest of these is the living room, part of which had collapsed when he trained here as a lad. A staircase in the living room leads to the remains of the second floor. There is a sizable dining room adjoining the living room, with a kitchen and cellar part that. Directly to the right of the living room is the old manager's abandoned office.

It is hard to guess how much of the building is in good repair and impossible to know if it is occupied. How do you proceed?

Untarr
2014-04-11, 06:42 AM
Welcome home....I guess.

Arkiana walks up to one of the windows and places a green scorpion just inside of it.

Bigby should be able to let us know if there is anything dangerous inside.

[roll0] Stealth
[roll1] Perception

The scorpion can communicate feelings through the Empatic Link ability. Have the scorpion move throughout the house.

DarkOne-Rob
2014-04-11, 07:21 AM
Map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AlQGw8atRk3_dFpYaXg1OUFNZVhZbDltMmIxSmpqe Gc&usp=sharing#gid=0)

You all are approaching from the south (bottom) of the map. The yellow area is rough terrain (yard), the darkest red is ruined (impassable) terrain with rubble and fallen stone fences and such. On the ease side of the building are stairs leading into the basement from outside. The paths (normal terrain) are light tan. As you explore the inside of the house I will detail that space more.
--------------------------------------

After releasing her familiar Arkiana steps away from the window and waits several minutes. When Bigby comes skittering back out of the building several minutes later she can tell it was very nervous, even fearful, as it explored the building, both on this floor and in the basement below. Bigby had to work to keep hidden from things it felt would have eaten it if they had found it.

Scorpions are tough, relatively dangerous little vermin. For Bigby to feel afraid of being eaten there must have been predatory animals inside the building that would have been known to eat even other predators. It is hard to tell what size these creatures are, though, as even small-sized dogs are bigger than the tiny familiar.

Untarr
2014-04-11, 07:56 AM
[roll0] Knowledge Nature

Ok, we need to prepare. There is something inside that Bigby interpreted as a predator. Frederick, you should go first followed by Lyr, me, and then the doctor. Move forward as fast as you can so the rest of us can get in behind you and support.

Arkiana closes her eyes and puts her hands as if she is about to clap. A ball of ice appears between them as she opens her eyes again.

Prepping a Cold Modified "Burning Hands".

Albinobrow
2014-04-11, 08:21 AM
I'm sorry Frederick. That was the correct spot, I was nervous to try and take a life. I did take an oath to help preserve the purity of life when I became a doctor.

Dr. Olofire goes up to the entrance of the house with Arkiana, and peers inside.

Any luck that it's safer inside than it was out here?

Perception to see inside [roll0]

MuffinMan
2014-04-11, 08:23 AM
Lyr shakes out his hand as he retrieves his weapons, placing the staff in a holster on his back. "Well, that was... satisfying. I've wanted to hit something ever since we came to this thrice-cursed sinkhole of a town...", glancing at Frederick, "No offense to present company. You alright there, big fella?"

Lyr arches an eyebrow at the scorpion's antics, but otherwise occupies himself with wiping bug entrails off of his weapons while it scouts.

At Arkiana's pronouncement Lyr closes his eyes and mutters for a moment, and then a golden light suddenly radiates from the end of his flying blade. Looking up, "I can do the same for any else that needs it." Once the preparations are complete, he makes eye contact with Frederick and nods before preparing to jump into the unseen building.

Casting Light, of course

Albinobrow
2014-04-11, 08:42 AM
I would appreciate a light if you don't mind.

Farmerbink
2014-04-11, 08:51 AM
The "danger" passed, Frederick returns his flail to the loop at his waist and his shield to his back. Grinning savagely at Lyr, he responds, Imagine living your whole life here. It explains a bit, doesn't it?

He steps carefully up to the side of the door, drawing his blade once more.

I would vastly prefer we avoid further damage to this place, if possible. We should expect some measure of resistance if the people who made these footprints you mentioned are still here, he says to the halfling. Ugh, I hate waiting. I've spent too much of my life doing it already. Tell me as soon as you know what's in there. .

He continues to growl under his breath as he waits by the door for an update from the elf girl, poised to split asunder anything hostile to appear in the doorway.

Untarr
2014-04-11, 08:53 AM
I am good. Darkness does not impede to my vision. Turning to Frederick.

Remember, move quickly so that we can't get caught at the door...

Go ahead and get us in there so we can start this.

MuffinMan
2014-04-11, 08:54 AM
Lyr nods and recasts the spell on Olofire's dagger, and on Frederick's sword for good measure.

Then, preparing his chain-blade, he tenses and waits for Frederic's cue.

If Rob's cool with it, I'll just proceed on the assumption that Lyr periodically re-casts the light orison whenever it runs out. Nothing duller than counting rounds on three different 1 min/lvl durations...

Farmerbink
2014-04-11, 09:01 AM
As odd as it may sound, in the future I would rather go without the light. Darkness does not impede my abilities and may hinder my opponents. Fortunately, light also does not impede my abilities.

With a final nod from Arkiana and Lyr, Frederick drops a shoulder to push through the limp-hanging door, bellowing.

SHOW YOURSELVES, IF YOU DARE!!

DarkOne-Rob
2014-04-11, 09:04 AM
You can only have one Light (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/spells/light.html#_light) spell active at a time.
Small mounds of debris litter the floor of the building’s interior. Loose stones, dead weeds, and grime cover virtually every surface. Paintings must have once adorned the place as indicated by the particular stain patterns marring the walls. The only light comes from thin shafts sneaking in from outside illuminating clouds of dust dancing through the stale air.

Inside the party sees three medium-sized creatures rise up out of the shadows and move towards the doorway, their reptillian shapes menacing. A fourth creature moves towards the right side of the room and a door.

These are lizardfolk, violent swamp dwelling reptillian humanoids. They must have traveled from the Mistmarsh to the southwest.
Roll initiative and give me combat actions! The blue spaces are interior sections of the building. The green squares are the (collapsed) stairs to the remains of the second floor. The pink squares are interior spaces past closed doors.

Farmerbink
2014-04-11, 09:16 AM
Round 1

Frederick charges the nearest lizard. GET OUT OF THIS PLACE OR DIE, FIENDS!!

charging attack on the nearest lizard [roll0] attack [roll1] to confirm crit on 19-20. For [roll2] damage. Are they flat footed? :-)?

Edit:so myth-weavers doesn't appear to like the iPhone ui. I don't know how to generate a star lock from here, but the only relevant changes are -2 to AC for charging and 1 point of con damage (damnit rob, there isn't supposed to be a point in having an odd ability score value!!)

Farmerbink
2014-04-11, 09:31 AM
[roll0] for initiative.

So since I ended up lower than ark and jan on initiative, they can both safely fire into what is about to be melee safely.

I was also expecting Ian to come more with me and would rather not get flanked three ways by these lizards, so I'd appreciate anything you can do to tip the scales (get it?) further in my favor.

MuffinMan
2014-04-11, 09:34 AM
Round 1

Lyr steps into the room to give Arkiana and Olofire clearance, and positions himself between the three lizardmen and the door while hefting his blade. "Come get a taste, you scaly sons-of-a-goat!"

Initiative [roll0]
Move far enough that others can get in, and set up in optimal spot for AoO if the approach the doorway / Arkiana / Olofire.

Albinobrow
2014-04-11, 09:36 AM
Lizardfolk! Three! No four! Watch out!! Dr. Olofire moves out of the way to allow those more suitable for combat access to the doorway.

5 foot step out of the way and readying scalpel to attack first one within reach, preferably without their dex bonus to ac.

Initiative [roll0]
Attack [roll1]
Damage [roll2] + sneak attack (if applicable) [roll3]

JWallyR
2014-04-11, 09:40 AM
Round 1

[roll0]

Jan scurries into the room after Arkiana, turning left and cupping her hands to focus a cone of bizarre colors at the other lizardmen!

HAHA! Take that!

Move to I13 (or thereabouts, further away if range of the spell permits, don't have a good gauge for that yet)(Starnes is editing the map and, I assume, his actions, so place me wherever appropriate for a color spray that hits 2 or more lizardmen) and Color Spray towards the other 2 Lizardmen.

AC 13, Touch 13, Flat-footed 11, CMD 9, Fort +2, Ref +2, Will +1, CMB -3, Base Attack Bonus 0
(+2 Dex, +1 Size)
Condition None

Untarr
2014-04-11, 10:24 AM
Round 1

[roll0]

MuffinMan
2014-04-11, 10:32 AM
Dang, nat 1 initiative... :smallfrown:
If the lizards move first, Lyr will move to 15 ft away, and then activate Bit of Luck on himself (reroll d20s and take the better roll for the next round).

Untarr
2014-04-11, 01:36 PM
Round 1

Moving swiftly into the room, Arkiana moves to the far side and lets loose a spell.

Move to (K,13). Cold Modified Burning Hands (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/spells/burningHands.html#_burning-hands) as the map shows.
[roll0] Cold DMG
DC 16 Reflex Save Half

AC 18, Touch 18, Flat-footed 10, CMD 16, Fort +1, Ref +4, Will +4, CMB -2, Base Attack Bonus 0, Action Points N/A
(+4 Dex)
Abilities Str 7, Dex 18, Con 10, Int 18, Wis 14, Cha 7
Condition 1 CON Dmg
+2 Fort, +2 Will, +3 Ref
AC 18, Touch 15, FF 15

DarkOne-Rob
2014-04-11, 05:53 PM
Round 1

Arkiana and Jan move quickly, each spraying the room with magic. The two lizardfolk hit by Arkiana's spell shiver from pain, though the one in the back seems to shake most of it off. Jan's two lizardfolk drop from her spell (unconscious/blinded/stunned for 8 rounds, blinded/stunned for 1 afterwards, and stunned for 1 more after that). Olofire steps out of the way towards Jan, seeing an opportunity next round to dissect some reptiles. Frederick boldly charges into melee beside Arkiana, but his sword glances off the scaly hide of the creature. The lizardfolk in front of Arkiana screams something in Draconic and tries to force his way to the door, but is too stunned but the cold to make any real progress (Arkiana gets an attack of opportunity). The other conscious lizardfolk charges Frederick, its morningstar glancing off the half-orc's armor. Finally Lyr moves into the room beside his little gnome friend and prepares to attack next round.

Ssyath! Warm-bloods are attacking! Help!
Arkiana: Moves to K13 and casts a cold Burning Hands DC 16 Reflex for 1/2 damage, 6 damage dealt
Lizardfolk [roll0] Reflex Saving Throw (fail) (-6 HPs)
Lizardfolk [roll1] Reflex Saving Throw (pass) (-3 HPs)
Olofire: Steps to the side, readies action to attack, misses
Jan: Moves to H14 and casts Color Spray DC 16 Will
Lizardfolk [roll2] Will Saving Throw (fail) (8/1/1 rounds)
Lizardfolk [roll3] Will Saving Throw (fail) (8/1/1 rounds)
Frederick: Charges and misses nearest lizardfolk
Lizardfolk: bull rushes Arkiana [roll4] vs Arkiana's CMD 12 (fails)
Lizardfolk: Charges Frederick [roll5], [roll6], [roll7] (miss)
Lizardfolk: 5-ft step and Full Attack Jan [roll8], [roll9], [roll10] (morningstar)
[roll11], [roll12], [roll13] (bite)
Lizardfolk: Charges Jan [roll14], [roll15], [roll16]
Lyr: move 15 ft. from lizardfolk and use Bit of Luck
Arkiana needs to make her attack of opportunity. Begin Round 2.

Updated map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0AlQGw8atRk3_dFpYaXg1OUFNZVhZbDltMmIxSmpqeG c)

Farmerbink
2014-04-11, 09:11 PM
Round 2

AC 17, Touch 10, Flat-footed 17, CMD 15, Fort +2, Ref +0, Will +1, CMB +5, Base Attack Bonus 1
Warhammer +5 (1d8+4, x3)
Abilities Str 18, Dex 10, Con 11, Int 10, Wis 8, Cha 16
Condition None

Grunting with exertion, Frederick unleashes a flurry of swings upon the lizard in front of him, punctuating every blow, until he makes contact with the beast. GET! OUT! OF! THIS! PLACE!

As he pushes the creature's body off his blade with a booted foot, he continues bellowing at it. YOUR VERY PRESENCE IS AN AFFRONT TO MY SENSES! The lizard slain at his feet gets one last grunt before he turns his gaze to the lizard now standing beside his companions bloody heap of a corpse.

[roll0] attack roll HIT![roll1] crit confirm (on 19-20) FAIL [roll2] damage SQUISH!

Untarr
2014-04-11, 09:37 PM
Round 2

Almost nonchalantly, Arkiana takes a step back and fires another ice ray at the lizardfolk.

5 foot Step to (K,14)
Frost Ray (http://paizo.com/prd/spells/rayOfFrost.html) (No Save) @ (K,12) Lizard
Attack vs Touch
[roll1] Confirm vs Touch
[roll2] Frost DMG
[roll[1d4+1 Crit DMG

MuffinMan
2014-04-12, 12:54 AM
Round 2

Lyrindethos Al'thallenon[/B] (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=810776)
Condition None
Daily Use Abilities
Bit of Luck 1 / 5
Agile Feet 0 / 5
]

Spotting an opportunity, Lyr moves into range of the nearest lizard hit by Arkiana's spell and lashes out with a vicious attack!

(While Bit of Luck is in effect), move into 10 ft range and attack at[roll0] or [roll1], whichever is higher, for [roll2] damage. (Critical confirmation is [roll3]). Or, if the enemy hit by the previous spell is already dead, move to and attack the closest enemy alive on Lyr's turn!

Albinobrow
2014-04-12, 09:46 AM
Condition None

Dr. Olofire realizing that he needed to prove himself worthy of being in the company of his new friends, mustered all of his courage and moved around Lyr taking a valiant poke at the Lizardfolk to his left, with his scalpel.

Move action to (J,14) then (I,13)
Attack [roll0]
Crit Confirmation (if applicable) [roll1]
Damage [roll2]
Sneak attack (if applicable) [roll3]

JWallyR
2014-04-12, 10:25 AM
Jan squeals in excitement as the two lizardmen collapse! Turning to the other lizardmen, she narrows her eyes to stare at the lizard man in the rear...

Daze DC 15

DarkOne-Rob
2014-04-12, 11:59 AM
Round 2

Arkiana nonchalantly misses with her Ray of Frost while Olofire eviscerates the unconscious/blind/stunned lizardfolk in front of Jan. The little gnome targets the most distant functioning lizardfolk, dazing the creature. The half-orc paladin destroys his lizardfolk loudly. The lizardfolk sways on its feet, dazed by Jan's spell, but Lyr still cannot connect with his flying blade, in spite of the divine luck he invoked.

Arkiana: 5-ft. step back and misses with Ray of Frost
Olofire: Auto-hit and kill unconscious lizardfolk
Jan: Daze DC 15
Lizardfolk [roll0] Will Save (fail)
Frederick: Kills his Lizardfolk
Conscious/Dazed? Lizardfolk: Moves to open door to the dining room, releasing the monitor lizards
Frederick [roll1] attack, [roll2] crit confirmation on 19-20 for double damage, [roll3] damage
Lyr: Moves and misses any conscious lizardfolk, even with Bit of Luck
There are two lizardfolk left in the room, one completely incapacitated from Jan's Color Spray spell and the other recovering from Jan's Daze spell.

You can hear the sound of some sort of creatures from beyond the closed door in the far wall.
In the old dining room.
You can hear the sound of a single creature moving quietly from beyond the closed door on the right side of the room.
In the old office/library.
Updated Map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0AlQGw8atRk3_dFpYaXg1OUFNZVhZbDltMmIxSmpqeG c)

MuffinMan
2014-04-12, 12:33 PM
Round 3

Condition None
Daily Use Abilities
Bit of Luck 1 / 5
Agile Feet 0 / 5

[roll0] EDIT: forgot to roll last post

Seeing Frederick preparing to engage the dazed lizard, Lyr strides quickly to the unconscious enemy and raises his blade, preparing to dispatch him once and for all.

Move adjacent to the unconscious lizard (square H11 on the map), and get ready to coup de grace next round. If a new enemy appears, instead cast True Strike on myself and move to 15 ft away, preferentially between it and the squishies.

Albinobrow
2014-04-12, 06:31 PM
Condition None

After the lizardfolk's blood sprayed all over Dr. Olofire, a rush of adrenaline flowed through him. AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!! He screams as he runs toward the Lizardfolk that stood by himself, slashing his scalpel at the spaces between its scales along its neck.

Perception [roll0]

Move to (H,11)
Attack [roll1]
Crit Confirmation (if applicable) [roll2]
Damage [1d3] + sneak attack (if applicable) [roll3]

Albinobrow
2014-04-12, 09:33 PM
Dr. Olofire tries again, confused at the lack of floating red numbers above the lizardfolk's head.

[roll0]

DarkOne-Rob
2014-04-13, 12:55 AM
Frederick moves into position and slashes at the remaining conscious lizardfolk, strangely quiet this round.

Posted by Rob at John's (drunken) direction.
[roll0] attack
[roll1] crit confirmation in a natural 19-20 for x2 damage
[roll2] damage

Untarr
2014-04-13, 07:07 AM
AC 18, Touch 18, Flat-footed 10, CMD 16, Fort +1, Ref +4, Will +4, CMB -2, Base Attack Bonus 0, Action Points N/A
(+4 Dex)
Condition 1 CON Dmg
[roll0]Arkiana
[roll1]Bigby

Untarr
2014-04-13, 07:14 AM
Round 3

There are multiple creatures on the other side of that wall! she yells as she points to the door at (J,9) and (J,8).

Pointing her hand once again, she lets loose another bolt of ice.

Ray of Frost @ (K,12)
[roll0] vs Touch CRITICAL!
[roll1] Crit Confirm CONFIRMED!
[roll2] Cold DMG MAXIMUM DAMAGE!

(boom goes the dynamite)

Move to (J,12)

Farmerbink
2014-04-13, 10:38 AM
[roll0]

Remind me to never let Rob roll for me again. -_-

JWallyR
2014-04-13, 07:41 PM
Round 3

Jan grins in satisfaction at the dumbfounded look on the lizard man's face before hearing Arkiana's warning! Looking at the offending wall and seeing nothing, Jan narrows her eyes and watches for any movement from the wall...

Perception Check: [roll0]

Given that I failed the perception check, I have nothing worth attacking (not gonna waste a spell-like ability on the stunned lizardman when there's melee beatsticks around) so I'm gonna go with TOTAL DEFENSE this turn while not putting myself any closer to danger.
Attack (If necessary): [roll1]
Crit conf (if necessary): [roll2]
Damage (if necessary): [roll3]

AC 17, Touch 17, Flat-footed 11, CMD 13, Fort +2, Ref +2, Will +1, CMB -3, Base Attack Bonus 0
(+2 Dex, +1 Size)
Condition Total Defense (Round 3)

DarkOne-Rob
2014-04-14, 12:02 AM
Round 3

Arkiana's Ray of Frost hits the lizardfolk squarely, causing visible freezer-burn as ice crystals form around the wound. The reptile falls to the floor unconscious and dying. Meanwhile, unopposed, Olofire and Lyr finish off the remaining downed lizardfolk.

Now you can all hear the sounds coming from the next room. Something is scratching violently at the door to what Frederick says is the dining room.

Something is also in the office, past the door beside the stairs. You can hear it breathing.
Arkiana: crit for 10 damage to conscious lizardfolk
Olofire: auto-hit downed lizardfolk for 7 damage
Jan: total defense
Frederick: misses
Conscious Lizardfolk: moves and opens door
Frederick AoO [roll0] attack, [roll1] crit confirmation on natural 19-20 for x2 damage, [roll2] damage
Lyr: move and prepare to coup de grace
End of combat.

Untarr
2014-04-14, 06:01 AM
Arkiana runs and flattens herself against the wall next to the door to the dining room. She takes in a full breath and visibly calms herself before speaking.

Doctor, get behind me. Frederick and Lyr, take point on the door. Give us a countdown before you open. We need to move quickly, they called for help from something called "Ssyath".

Cupping her hands again, a ball of ice appears between them

[roll0] Local and/or [roll1] Nature
If applicable to know anything about Ssyath.

Move to (H,10). Prepare Cold Modified Flaming Hands (DC 16 Reflex) to be cast if the doors open early.

Albinobrow
2014-04-14, 07:26 AM
Looking down at both lizardmen whose lives he ended, Dr. Olofire stands frozen in a stupor. What have I done? I'm supposed to help save people's lives.. Not take them..

Farmerbink
2014-04-14, 09:25 AM
Frederick, eying the door suspiciously, wipes his blade and slowly approaches the small doctor. He places one huge hand on the halflings head before speaking.

Friend, when you end the life of one who ends lives, have you not saved those he would have killed? Alas, we live in an ugly world, but we all must make choices to determine how we will shape it. You have done the people of Diamond Lake a service this day. Perhaps they don't deserve it, and perhaps they will never understand or appreciate it, but you may have saved some mother's child by killing that foul beast. He points to one of the slain lizards with his greatsword for emphasis. You can rest assured that the creature would not have made his kills as swift and painless as we have made ours, either. They would have kept their prey alive and in terror until they were ready to feed. They certainly are not deserving of neither your pity nor your mercy, so save them for a worthier outlet.

Come, there is work yet to be done before we can rest easy for long.

Adjusting his grip on the sword, he approaches the door purposefully.

Tell me when you are all ready, and I will give my own surprise to whatever is behind this door.

He stands at the door, ready to strike.

MuffinMan
2014-04-14, 09:51 AM
[roll0]

Lyr moves to a spot just behind Frederick and hefts his blade, gauging the distance to the door. He nods at Frederick to open the door and tenses, ready to attack!

If Frederick is in J10, move Lyr to I11. (Or if Frederick's in I10, move to J11).

Albinobrow
2014-04-14, 10:41 AM
Still uneasy, Dr. Olofire wipes the blood off of his scalpel, as he just saw Frederick do, and nods. He then silently gets up and moves over to the door just behind Arkiana, steeling himself for whatever is scratching on the other side of the door.

JWallyR
2014-04-14, 01:30 PM
Jan, seeing her companions about to charge the door, seems to consider the threat gone, and nonchalantly walks over to inspect the fallen lizardmen. Ick, they're even more gross up close!

DarkOne-Rob
2014-04-14, 02:09 PM
Adjoining the living room is a sizable dining room. The furniture that remains in the room is completely soiled and disgusting. Two monitor lizards attack as the door is opened!

Fresh initiative rolls and combat actions. No one is surprised, including the lizards.

Map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AlQGw8atRk3_dFpYaXg1OUFNZVhZbDltMmIxSmpqe Gc&om=true&richtext=false#gid=0) is updated. Note the new door in the dining room.

JWallyR
2014-04-14, 02:50 PM
Round 1

Interrupted in her inspection of the lizardmen by the new baddies, Jan points imperiously at the monitor lizard on the right, conjuring another ray of greenish energy...

LOL DAZE DOESN'T WORK ON NONHUMANOIDS

(+2 Dex, +1 Size)
Condition None

Farmerbink
2014-04-14, 03:38 PM
Round 1

AC 17, Touch 10, Flat-footed 17, CMD 15, Fort +2, Ref +0, Will +1, CMB +5, Base Attack Bonus 1
Warhammer +5 (1d8+4, x3)
Abilities Str 18, Dex 10, Con 11, Int 10, Wis 8, Cha 16
Condition None

[roll0]

Once he realizes that the door has been opened, Frederick brutally cleaves into the nearest of the two lizards.

[roll1] attack roll
[roll2] crit confirmation
[roll3] damage

JWallyR
2014-04-14, 03:43 PM
Acidic Ray
Crit conf: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]

MuffinMan
2014-04-14, 04:30 PM
Round 1

Condition None
Daily Use Abilities
Bit of Luck 1 / 5
Agile Feet 0 / 5

Lyr whirls his blade and lashes out at the lizard in front of him, and then readjusts his positioning for the next strike.

Attack: [roll1]
Crit Conf: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]
I want to attack the lizard in J9 and then end up in J12. I'll take a 5ft step before or after my attack, depending on whether the lizards or I go first.

MuffinMan
2014-04-14, 04:52 PM
Oops. I don't do 11d12 just yet... wait till level 2! :smalltongue:
In the meantime, let's try [roll0]

Untarr
2014-04-14, 05:45 PM
Round 1
[roll0]

Untarr
2014-04-14, 05:54 PM
Round 1

Seeing only two lizards, the ball of ice shrinks considerably in her hand. She points it at the nearest lizard and fires!

[roll0] vs Touch
[roll1] Confirm vs Touch
[roll2] Cold DMG

Albinobrow
2014-04-14, 06:57 PM
[roll0]

Dr. Olofire pressed himself against the wall next to Frederick, waiting for an opportunity to either strike at the first lizard within reach or move into the next room.

Move to (H,10) readies action to either strike or enter room.

Attack [roll1]
Crit confirmation (if applicable) [roll2]
Damage [roll3]
+ sneak attack (if applicable) [roll4]

DarkOne-Rob
2014-04-14, 09:39 PM
Round 1

A flurry of magic and attacks lash out at the right-hand lizard. In response the animal visibly cowers and takes a 5-ft step back into the room away from the party. Olofire attacks from around the door with a particularly painful (if not extremely damaging) jab of his scalpel. The left-hand lizard then snaps and bites Frederick (for 10 damage, make a DC 14 Fortitude save). It tries to hold on but fails. Frederick responds by taking a mighty swipe with his greatsword and injuring the beast badly.

You hear sounds of movement coming from the office room.
Jan - 6 damage to right-hand lizard
Lyr - 11 damage to right-hand lizard, then moves
Arkiana - Ray of Frost right-hand lizard for 5 damage
Olofire - crits left-hand lizard for 5 damage
Right-hand Lizard (0 HPs) - Cowers and take a 5-ft step back from the door into the dining room
Left-hand Lizard (4 HPs) - attacks Frederick
[roll0] attack, [roll1] crit confirmation, [roll2] damage, [roll3] grapple check from grab ability, Poison DC 14 Fortitude from Frederick
Frederick - 13 damage to lizard the left-hand lizard
Frederick needs to save vs the lizard's poisonous bite. The retreating lizard is disabled (at 0 HPs).

Farmerbink
2014-04-14, 09:52 PM
Round 2

[roll0] fort save and [roll1] perception... not even sure why I typed that out, in retrospect.

[roll2] attack [roll3] confirm [roll4] damage

Howling in agony, Frederick shakes free of the lizards toothy maw, leaving lots of skin behind and spilling his own blood down the length of his arm. By Heironeous! I WILL DESTROY YOU! He then makes good on his promise, finishing the cleaving he had begun.

Immediately thereafter, he staggers to a hunched-over position, holding his blade in his left arm, and holding his left arm with his right. Lyr, if you are able, I am sorely hurt. Some small aid could go a long way right now.

DarkOne-Rob
2014-04-14, 10:14 PM
Frederick is poisoned. He takes 2 Dexterity damage at this time.

For the next six hours Frederick must make a save once on the hour. For each failed save he takes 1d2 Dexterity damage. Once he passes a save he is no longer afflicted with the poison. The ability damage must be healed normally (usually by sleeping it off at a rate of 1 point of damage healed per nightly rest). Should you be supremely unlucky and go to 0 Dexterity from damage you are paralyzed till you can heal that damage.
If the party acts threateningly to the remaining (disabled) lizard it will try to flee first or fight if cornered. Otherwise, combat is over.

Albinobrow
2014-04-14, 10:51 PM
He's been poisoned. It could potentially lead to him being paralyzed if not dealt with soon. Unfortunately my extracts won't be of any use at the moment. I will have to do more research later. But I feel like this should take precedence over the second lizard. Besides, he is all but dead. It most likely won't attack if we leave it be.

[roll0]

MuffinMan
2014-04-14, 10:56 PM
Keeping one eye on the other lizard as it limps away, Lyr whistles appreciatively at the gaping wound on Frederick's arm. "He really took a piece out of you, didn't he? Hold still..."

Lyr closes his eyes and grasps Frederick's arm just above the bite, and a healing glow suddenly radiates from the wound, flesh knitting together in front of their eyes.

Convert 'Comprehend Languages' and heal Frederick for [roll0]

MuffinMan
2014-04-14, 10:57 PM
Because I forgot to last time, [roll0]

Giving a satisfied nod to the all-but faded wound, Lyr looks around at the rest of the group. "Did I miss anything? Everyone else alright?"

Albinobrow
2014-04-14, 11:01 PM
I still feel a bit queezy from all that's taken place, but I am otherwise uninjured. And I'm glad to see that you are able to help Frederick while my schooling has me a little short. (No pun intended.) Thank you Pilgrim.

MuffinMan
2014-04-14, 11:19 PM
Lyr grins, relishing the compliment. "Sure thing, doc! You weren't too bad yourself back there - nice moves!"

Turning to Frederick, "The man-eating lizards really compliment the decor, but most families just get a dog. Where to next?"

DarkOne-Rob
2014-04-14, 11:25 PM
There is a door further inside the dining room, which Frederick remembers is what was once a kitchen. The second story is largely ruined, which the party can see through holes in the first floor ceiling.

Then, as if in response to Lyr's question, everyone can clearly hear the sound of something large being pushed up against the door to the office as it scrapes against the floor. Whatever is inside that room must not want you to enter...

JWallyR
2014-04-14, 11:25 PM
Jan's face goes from exuberance at the rush of energy and combat to saddened concern at the lizard now slumping away from combat.
Poor thing! He didn't even attack us, and look at him!

Jan looks over at Frederick and thinks very hard (and very seriously) for a moment. Do we have to kill that one? Maybe if we leave it alone it'll go away after a while! She smiles hopefully at him!

Albinobrow
2014-04-14, 11:32 PM
Ummmm I just heard something over there? Dr. Olofire points to the other door in the room.

Untarr
2014-04-15, 06:30 AM
I think we all heard something over there. Arkiana says as she rolls her eyes.

As she strides quickly over to the door she begins to speak to the party.

Sounded like whatever it is, it is barricading the door. It may be easier to pull that door this way than to try to push it through the barricade they just erected. I think we scared them. She smiles slightly at that last sentence.

Leaning against the wall next to the door, her voice rings out clear and authoritatively. You recognize it as the same language that the lizardfolk were just speaking.

You are trespassing in this man's ancestral home. We are authorized under the Free City Penal Code Paragraph 113, sections 9-17, to remove you from the premises using any means necessary. If you do not surrender now, we will use lethal force.

Taking a breath she begins talking again.

You are trespassing in this man's ancestral home. We are authorized under the Free City Penal Code Paragraph 113, sections 9-17, to remove you from the premises using any means necessary. If you do not surrender now, we will use lethal force.

Her hands twitch slightly as a large green ball manifests between them. She nods Frederick over to the door.

She is standing in (K,15).

Farmerbink
2014-04-15, 07:19 AM
With a brief glare at Jan, Frederick responds to the concerns expressed by the group. That one most certainly did attack us. The damned thing practically pushed the door into me. It is also most certainly still a threat. I don't know if you noticed, but it outweighs you by about a factor of 10. That said, I am content to allow it to leave. Trained or not, these are simple animals, trying to defend their territory or their masters. I do not think it will quickly approach again.

Gesturing towards the other room, he continues. THAT, however, is most certainly not the sound of an unintelligent animal shoving heavy furniture against a door. More than likely, it is another of the lizard men. Perhaps a more intelligent one.

With a confused look at Arkiana, he strides closer to the door. I never actually lived here, and we are certainly not authorized by any code of my knowledge other than honor and the fact that they clearly do not respect our settlements. Where did you read this?

While listening to Arkiana's response and probably failing a sense motive check, Frederick begins inspecting the door.

MuffinMan
2014-04-15, 08:35 AM
While Arkiana and Frederick are speaking, Lyr slips into the northern room that the monitors came from and listens at the other door, and then tries the handle.

Stealth, if applicable: [roll0]. Go to K8 and listen at [roll1]. Then try the door to see if it's unlocked (not opening it all the way yet!). AoO the remaining monitor lizard if it doesn't get out of the way or comes at me!

Untarr
2014-04-15, 10:48 AM
My father is a magistrate in the Free City of Greyhawk. Through an apprenticeship with him and my own extensive study, I have a comprehensive understanding of the laws and their application in this situation. These lizardfolk are clearly defined within as "Squatters" and have resisted us with lethal force. As such, we are free to use whatever means necessary to remove them and defend ourselves.

I was mistaken about you living here, but that does not change anything about the laws as previously stated.

DarkOne-Rob
2014-04-15, 12:41 PM
Somewhat predictably, there is no response from the office. Whatever is back there has stopped moving the furniture and is not interested in talking about legalities.

The door to the kitchen is unlocked. Lyr cannot hear any sounds coming from that room.

JWallyR
2014-04-15, 01:13 PM
Jan furrows her brows at Frederick's response, but after hearing the scraping in the near room focuses instead on it. Noting Lyr's movement, Jan positions herself between him and Frederick, ready to respond to threats from either direction!

MuffinMan
2014-04-15, 02:29 PM
With a loud cry, Lyr throws open the door to the kitchen and peers inside, blade at the ready!

DarkOne-Rob
2014-04-15, 03:12 PM
Lyr and Jan see an empty, ruined kitchen, containing an actual fire pit in the northeast corner. A staircase chocked with debris leads downstairs (below the main stairway) and there is another door leading of to the right (presumably to a pantry).

(Map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AlQGw8atRk3_dFpYaXg1OUFNZVhZbDltMmIxSmpqe Gc&om=true&richtext=false#gid=0) updated)

Farmerbink
2014-04-15, 05:52 PM
Frederick silently gets the attention of his allies in the room, beckoning them to the side of the room furthest from the (now barricaded) door. Lyr, come over here for a moment, he calls in a hushed voice. As the group comes together, he describes his plan.

There are a number of exterior windows to the adjoining chamber here. When last I was here, they were boarded sufficiently to prevent a person from entering or leaving, but perhaps not so much to prevent at least our more magically inclined friends from firing on him in his little hole. I don't know how well I will be able to fire into the room, but I'm willing to try, and willing to tear down some boards to make both tasks easier. I have no intention of playing this game on the terms of our antagonist. Your thoughts?

Untarr
2014-04-15, 06:17 PM
We would need to leave someone here to watch the door. Just in case they decide to leave when we open fire. Should be someone self-sufficient, who could slow them down long enough for us to get back inside. Preferably someone who can't attack from a distance, or at the least, isn't very good at it.

JWallyR
2014-04-15, 07:03 PM
Hey! I could shoot my mind beams at him and yell if he pops out! says Jan in an excited whisper. Though it might be nice to have someone else handy in case it doesn't work?

Albinobrow
2014-04-15, 07:41 PM
I am willing to go wherever I am needed. I feel if you need someone more hand to hand based, I do have a little something up my sleeve that could be of use. He says motioning to a small vial of swirling blueish-greenish liquid on his belt. I keep it on hand just in case, however it's benefit will only last for about 10 minutes. Hopefully that will be more than enough time? He asks looking at Frederick.

MuffinMan
2014-04-15, 08:32 PM
Tapping his foot, Lyr chimes in, "Ok, the Doc and I will wait here and watch the door while you three smoke 'em out from the outside. We'll yell if we see any movement, and you do the same!"

Lyr will wait in I14 while the others go shoot spells or whatever.

Untarr
2014-04-15, 08:45 PM
Lead the way Frederick. Arkiana walks up to the front door and waits for Frederick.

She will follow Frederick to wherever the window is with a
[roll0]
Stealth check.

JWallyR
2014-04-15, 08:57 PM
Jan nods and moves to follow Arkiana, her eyes taking a strangely serious expression.

Albinobrow
2014-04-15, 09:23 PM
Dr. Olofire takes position next to Lyr, with special vial in hand ready to drink it as soon as he hears the others start firing off their spells. He watches the colors swirl and says to himself, This is probably going to hurt again...

Wait right there in (K,15). Readies action to drink mutagen at first sign of combat.

Farmerbink
2014-04-15, 11:17 PM
Frederick walks back out the door, turning towards the east side of the building. With a grim expression, he addresses the casters: Come then, Jan and Arkiana, we have a lizard to scale. I wouldn't expect this to be easy.

If something hostile is visible, I will move to attack w/ my great sword.
[roll0] attack
[roll1] confirm
[roll2] damage

If nothing visible is hostile, and the windows appear to be open enough to shoot through, I will sheathe my sword and draw my bow and prepare to shoot from 5 feet away from the window. If there is sufficient time and opportunity for it:
[roll3] attack
[roll4] confirm
[roll5] damage

If nothing visible is hostile, and the windows do NOT appear to be open enough to shoot through, I will keep my sword handy and try to allow the casters to shoot into the room. Staying closer to the window than they are, attacking hostile things that appear and threaten them, and generally keeping the squishies safe. Hopefully.

DarkOne-Rob
2014-04-16, 12:32 AM
(One Perception check please)
You can hear the sound of movement coming from the office. Whatever is in there isn't just waiting for you all to leave...
You think it sounds like the creature in the office is climbing up to the second story!
It takes about two minutes to discuss the party's plan. Olofire and Lyr get settled in to guard the main entrance while the rest head outside.

There are two windows to the office on the south side of the house. Debris and rubble lie all around the building, but once clear of it and the porch Frederick, Arkiana, and Jan make their way around the corner. Once there you see a stairway going down to the cellar (to descend you must walk south down the stairs), above which is another window, and past that two more windows. It is hard to tell if the middle window goes to the office or kitchen, but Frederick thinks it is to the office. All of the windows are boarded up tight, but could probably be cleared if you can get a good grip on it (using a crowbar or similar tool would help) (break DC 20).

(An additional Perception check only if you are outside)
You see a lizardfolk with a large turtle-shell shield skulking on the second story, watching you!

He has cover (+4 AC) against you and is located above the office in square M13. From there he could easily get total cover where you could not see him at all or move to the edge of the second story and from there to the ground.
---------------------

Here (https://www.dropbox.com/s/j7soahsj1o2e1il/Photo%20Apr%2016%2C%2012%2055%2008.jpg) is a picture that should better explain what you all see. You have explored enough now that it isn't a problem to give you guys this image.

Untarr
2014-04-16, 07:02 AM
[roll0]Arkiana
[roll1]Bigby

Untarr
2014-04-16, 07:04 AM
[roll0] Arkiana
[roll1] Bigby

There is an enemy on the second story. He can see us right now. He is armed with a shield. We should take him out first and then deal with the creature in the office. If we try for the office first, he will be able to shoot at us easily from that second floor. Go back inside to the stairs. I'll stay here and make sure he doesn't run.

Farmerbink
2014-04-16, 07:34 AM
[roll0]

For once, I see him as well. What I don't see, is how he found a portion of the floor that would support his weight. I also do not see how leaving the two of you out here with either of them is a good plan. One way or another, I think we need to rejoin our allies.

Frederick sheathes his sword and draws his war hammer and shield. This is getting awkward really fast. Raising his voice, he yells back to the companions in the house, Lyr! DO you see an opening from that room to the second floor?

(assuming the lizards don't move to interfere yet) He moves back to the porch and attempts to smash the boards over the window with his hammer.

Albinobrow
2014-04-16, 08:12 AM
[roll0]

Swirl swirl the blue green concoction listening for all the things.

Lyr, it appears that whatever is behind that door is being rather active. Should we be worried about that?

DarkOne-Rob
2014-04-16, 09:34 AM
Frederick sheathes his sword and draws his war hammer and shield. This is getting awkward really fast. Raising his voice, he yells back to the companions in the house, Lyr! DO you see an opening from that room to the second floor?

The stairs are clear enough to get upstairs, and there are many holes in the second story floor where boards have rotted away.

JWallyR
2014-04-16, 10:00 AM
Inside: [roll0]
Outside: [roll1]

What's happening? Whispers Jan as she peers toward the upper floor. I can't see anything!

MuffinMan
2014-04-16, 10:05 AM
[roll0]

Lyr is getting annoyed at the delay and lack of information. Calling to Frederick, "I can't see anything! I'm checking upstairs!"

To Olofire, "Change of plans! Watch my back - something's going on and I'm gonna find out what."

Then, carefully picking his footing, he advances up the ruined staircase to the second floor.

Farmerbink
2014-04-16, 10:12 AM
[roll1][roll1d8+4

Farmerbink
2014-04-16, 10:23 AM
Missed a bracket there... [roll0]

Albinobrow
2014-04-16, 10:42 AM
Dr. Olofire takes his backpack off and sets it in a corner. Alright pilgrim. Still holding onto the small vial, he starts up the stairs. But he stops halfway and says, I think i'll stay here. Just on case anything comes out of the door down here. I'll head up if you need me.

He turns back around, knowing he is now alone and his new companions are relying on him, he takes a deep breath and continues to swirl the small vial in his hand, ready to down it at the first sign of trouble from either upstairs, outside, or right here in front of him.

Now that I can see the stairs more clearly from the image Rob posted, I want to wait on the very bottom part of the stairs, which I believe is spot (L,12). Still reading an action to drink at first sign of trouble.

DarkOne-Rob
2014-04-16, 11:31 AM
Several things happen all at once:

Frederick's hammer hits the boards covering the window from the porch. It looks like it will take several more good blows to break the boards and get a clear view inside the office.

The lizardfolk on the second story darts out of view of Arkiana and anyone else outside when it hears the party members begin yelling back and forth to each other from inside the house and out.

Lyr begins walking up the stairs, carefully weighing each step on the unsteady wooden surfaces. He is only about three steps up when he sees the lizardfolk loom up over him near the top of the stairs with a javelin poised to strike!
------------------

Roll initiative. I did my best to place everyone where they described themselves as standing. Everyone has been actively watching for anything to happen, so no one is surprised by the threatening lizardfolk, but it can speak common and isn't surprised either...

Farmerbink
2014-04-16, 11:43 AM
Round 1

I can't put this in from work, so it will have to wait until this evening.

[roll0]-1 = 4 I forgot my current penalty to dex.

Since I'm probably again the last one to act, I'm going to wait to see what transpires before I post my actions. It will probably either be another roll on the window or moving back into the house to help Ian.

MuffinMan
2014-04-16, 12:14 PM
Round 1

Condition None
Daily Use Abilities
Bit of Luck 0 / 5
Agile Feet 0 / 5

[roll0]

Lyr takes a step back, putting the lizard in range of his weapon, and casts a spell as he taunts it. "Yaaahhh!!! Found another one! Come get what your friends got, scaly!"

5ft step back to put lizard in 10ft blade range (if it retreats I get an AoO :smallbiggrin:) and then cast True Strike on myself. It's on like Donkey Kong!

(I might be misremembering the 5ft step rules - if I can't 5ft step I'll do a normal move for 5ft and try to use acrobatics at [roll1] to avoid an AoO)

Albinobrow
2014-04-16, 12:38 PM
Round 1

Condition None

(1d20+4)[20]

First sound of combat standard action to drink my mutagen. Move action either up the stairs to help Lyr.

JWallyR
2014-04-16, 01:22 PM
Round 1

[roll0]

Jan hears Lyr's shout, and looks nervously at Frederick and Arkiana. What do we do?? Lyr can take care of himself, but I don't know about the little doctor!

Ready a Daze spell at the first enemy to appear, otherwise remaining motionless.

(+2 Dex, +1 Size)
Condition None

Untarr
2014-04-16, 03:32 PM
[roll0] Rolling for initiative.

Untarr
2014-04-16, 04:34 PM
Growling in frustration at Frederick’s swing.This is going to take too long...

Raising her hand, the ball turns red before she fires it at the window.

Fire Modified Ray of Ice vs Window
vs touch
[roll]1d4+1 Fire DMG

Turning to the gnome.

Maybe you should go inside to help them then? Whatever you do, don't just stand there.

Untarr
2014-04-16, 04:49 PM
I hate phones for this.
[roll0]

Farmerbink
2014-04-16, 06:27 PM
Turning to the casters, in a hushed voice Frederick directs them, Forget the window, they need our help in there! C'mon! As quickly as a half-orc in banded mail is able, he turns from the window to head inside. He charges in to aid his companions in the building.

Two move actions to head inside. Should end at the bottom of the stairs, prepared to head up. (I'm not 100% clear on the details, but if there's anything else I can do, I'd appreciate knowing.) I think I'm too far away to do any immediate good on the lizard at the top of the stairs.

DarkOne-Rob
2014-04-17, 02:09 AM
Round 1

Arkiana's magic does not seem particularly effective against the boarded-up window (magic tends to do 1/2 damage before hardness to objects unless otherwise noted). Olofire drinks his mutagen and steps into melee range of the lizardfolk as he feels the concoction change his body. Lyr takes a step back and casts a spell to aid his accuracy next round. The lizardfolk hurls his javelin at Lyr, hitting him squarely (6 damage), then turns and snaps at Olofire, missing, before taking a 5-ft step out of range of Lyr's weapon (and not incurring an attack of opportunity for the 5-ft step). When it moves Jan sees it and casts a spell, momentarily dazing it (effective all of the next round). Finally Frederick abandons his efforts at the window and rushes inside, moving past Lyr and directly behind Olofire.

Arkiana - 4 Fire Damage to boarded-up window (it looks ineffective)
Olofire - Drink Mutagen and move to melee Ssayth
Lyr - Step back and cast True Strike
Jan - Prepared action and no move
Ssayth - Throw javelin at Lyr [roll0] attack, [roll1] crit confirmation on a 20 for x2, [roll2] damage (hit)
Bite Olofire [roll3] attack, [roll4] crit confirmation on a 20 for x2, [roll5] damage (miss)
5-ft step back out of sight of Lyr
Frederick - Double move to get inside to melee Ssayth

Ssyath (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=856686)
M Lizardfolk Ranger, Level 1, Init -1, HP 28/28, Speed 30 ft
AC 11, Touch 9, Flat-footed 11, CMD 14, Fort +6, Ref +1, Will +0, CMB +5, Base Attack Bonus 2
+2 vs. Humans MW Club +7 melee or +2 ranged (1d6+3, 20/x2)
+2 vs. Humans Bite +3 w/Club or +5 w/o (1d4 +1, 20/x2)
+2 vs. Humans Claws x2 +5 w/Bite (1d4 +3, 20/x2)
+2 vs. Humans Javelin +1 (1d6 +3, 20/x2)
Made from a Turtle Shell Heavy Shield (+2 Shield, -1 Dex)
Abilities Str 17, Dex 8, Con 15, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 14
Condition None

The map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AlQGw8atRk3_dFpYaXg1OUFNZVhZbDltMmIxSmpqe Gc&om=true&richtext=false#gid=0) is updated. As always I am doing my best to interpret your actions as you described. I have posted some notes in the OC thread.

Untarr
2014-04-17, 06:28 AM
After watching her magic splash ineffectively off the window board, Arkiana's eye's narrow. She begins to harshly whisper to herself as she runs back inside the house.

String of curses with accents on the words "gnome", "orc paladin", and "magic immune windows".

Double move to (K,12)

Albinobrow
2014-04-17, 06:35 AM
Male N. Good Halfling Alchemist (Vivis/Chirurgeon), Level 1, Init +6, HP 13/13, Speed 30 ft
AC 25, Touch 17, Flat-footed 19, CMD 15, Fort +4, Ref +9, Will +0, CMB -1, Base Attack Bonus 0
Scalpel (dagger) +7 (1d3, 19-20/x2)
Sling (Bullets) +7 (1d3, x2)
Leather Armor (+2 Armor, +4 Shield, +6 Dex, +1 Size, +2 Natural)
Abilities Str 10, Dex 22, Con 12, Int 16, Wis 8, Cha 9
Condition None

Dr. Olofire clenches his teeth as the mutagen takes effect, stripping away any excess fat, and somehow making him only slightly taller and more nimble. He grabs another extract and drinks it down, creating an invisible shield floating above him. Then he smiles! Feeling far braver than he has before, Dr. Olofire enters the room and makes his way around the lizardman, setting himself up to flank when he is able.

Standard action drink extract of Shield (+4 to AC)
Move action (I know I'm more than likely incurring AoOs) But I want to end up in (O,27) right behind the lizardman.
If I then get an AoO on him:
Attack [roll0]
Crit Confirmation (if applicable) [roll1]
damage [roll2] + sneak attack (if applicable) [roll3]

Farmerbink
2014-04-17, 07:33 AM
Round 2

AC 16, Touch 9, Flat-footed 17, CMD 15, Fort +2, Ref +0, Will +1, CMB +5, Base Attack Bonus 1
Warhammer +5 (1d8+4, x3)
Abilities Str 18, Dex 8, Con 11, Int 10, Wis 8, Cha 16
Condition Poisoned (-2 Dex), -1 Con

Stepping forward, Frederick gazes intently at the lizard standing before him. Almost under his breath, he speaks just loud enough to be heard by his companions on the stairs, It's time to pay the reaper, fiend. He then assaults the distracted lizard with his war hammer.

Swift action to place smite evil on the lizard. Move action to close the distance. Standard action to beat his face.

[roll0] attack
[roll1] crit confirm
[roll2] damages

In addition, +3 to my AC vs the lizard (making it 19) until further notice.

DarkOne-Rob
2014-04-17, 08:27 AM
DC 5 Acrobatics (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/skills/acrobatics.html#_acrobatics) checks from anyone standing on ruined squares on the second floor. (Sorry for failing to mention that before...)

Albinobrow
2014-04-17, 08:38 AM
[roll0]

Dr. Olofire runs across the ruined floor with ease! Thank you science!!

MuffinMan
2014-04-17, 09:02 AM
Round 2

M CN Half-Elf Cleric, Level 1, Init +4, HP 4/10, DR -, Speed 40
Condition Under the influence of True Strike this round
Daily Use Abilities
Bit of Luck 1 / 5
Agile Feet 0 / 5

Clenching his jaw through the pain, Lyr dashes up the staircase to the second level. When he comes in range of the lizardmen's leader, he lashes out with his chain blade in a vicious attack!

Acrobatics check is [roll0]. I'll activate 'Agile Feet' too if it'll help. (I believe that activation is a swift action - if it's any longer of course I won't do it this round).
Move upstairs into flying blade range, then bring on the pain:
Attack [roll1]
Crit Confirm [roll2]
Damage [roll3]

Farmerbink
2014-04-17, 10:14 AM
[roll0] Just for kicks...

JWallyR
2014-04-17, 11:23 AM
Round 2

Having dazed the lizard in view, Jan scrambles to get into the building and be useful!

Double move action (by my reading of the map it's necessary) to get around and inside the building. If the double move action is not needed, I would happily color spray (DC16) ASSUMING there are not friendly meat sacs between me and the lizard (Can I aim the color spray up towards a hole in the second floor, hitting the lizard, without affecting companions in front of me on the first floor?) If Color Spray is not viable (too many meat sacs), how about a Silent Image (DC17, due to gnome illusion stuffs) of safe flooring BEHIND the lizard? :D

DarkOne-Rob
2014-04-17, 12:47 PM
Round 2

The two spellcasters outside dash inside as quickly as they can manage while Olofire drinks an extract and gets into a flanking position. Blessed with divine accuracy Lyr hits the lizardfolk solidly with his flying blade and Frederick smites the foul creature, also connecting.

As the dazing effect of Jan's spell wears off the creature shakes its head, feels its wounds, sees its position, and raises its arms above its head, crying out in rough, slurred common, "Ssstop! Ssayth issss sssorry! Ssayth sssurrendersss!"

Arkiana - Double Move
Olofire - Drink Shield Extract and Move
Lyr - Move and Hit for 14 Damage
Jan - Double Move
Ssayth - Dazed
Frederick - Smite Evil Ssayth, Move, Hit for 8 Damage

Ssayth is at 6 HPs and bluffed for a Sense Motive DC of 15. If not subdued or killed he will either make a dash for it (if the party lowers their weapons as if they believe him) or attack Frederick with both claws and bite (if they still appear hostile).
Sense Motive checks to determine if Ssayth is being honest or not. He has not put down his shield but is not reaching for his weapons either.

Albinobrow
2014-04-17, 12:52 PM
[roll0]

Dr. Olofire hears his words...

Albinobrow
2014-04-17, 12:55 PM
And believes him! Though relieved the battle has ended he is sad that he didn't get to test out his new abilities.

MuffinMan
2014-04-17, 01:43 PM
[roll0]

Not taking his eyes off the lizardman, Lyr takes advantage of the lull in combat to put a hand to the wound at his side, healing it as he did with Frederick's injury.

Convert 'Bless' and heal for [roll1]

Farmerbink
2014-04-17, 01:44 PM
[roll0] sense motive

Somewhat relaxing his posture, but not sheathing his weapons, Frederick speaks to the lizardman before him. Exactly what is it that you're sorry for? I'm content to kill you simply for attacking us, but I don't think that's what you meant, is it? Speak well, your life yet depends on your words.

JWallyR
2014-04-17, 01:46 PM
Sense motive: [roll0]

Jan narrows her eyes at Ssayth. He's trying to trick us! Don't let him fool you!

Readied action to Color Spray if he tries to make a run for it, waiting until his position is such that doing so would not hit party members.

DarkOne-Rob
2014-04-17, 01:49 PM
Both Lyr and Jan suspect that Ssayth is bluffing.

Untarr
2014-04-17, 03:39 PM
[roll0] Acrobatics
[roll1] sense motive

Albinobrow
2014-04-17, 06:54 PM
Jan's proclamation incites doubt in Dr. Olofire. His grip tightens on his scalpel as he waits to hear how this lizardman will answer Frederick. Ready to strike if he has to.

MuffinMan
2014-04-17, 07:22 PM
Lyr snarls, "He's lying! Drop the weapons OR DIE!"

If he does not immediately comply,
Attack [roll0]
Crit confirm [roll1]
Dmg [roll2]

Farmerbink
2014-04-17, 07:24 PM
As seconds slowly tick by, Fredericks eyes narrow to a squint. you need to start speaking quickly, if you plan to see another sunset, lizard.

[roll0] to intimidate the lizard into either shaken-ness or answering my questions all friendly-like.

Farmerbink
2014-04-17, 07:29 PM
Frederick speaks up to the elf behind him, hold your blade, Lyr. I'd like to hear what he has to say.

I may even let him live, if it pleases us.

Untarr
2014-04-17, 08:57 PM
Knowledge Local: [roll0] pertaining to the lizardfolk and/or Ssayth
Knowledge Nature: [roll1] If applicable, for general knowledge about lizardfolk.
Acrobatics [roll2]

Remaining oddly silent, Arkiana moves through the second floor holding her head in her right hand. Every so often glancing at Ssyath.

Move to (M,30)

Untarr
2014-04-17, 09:01 PM
[roll0] Send Bigby to the roof to check for other lizardfolk approaching the house.

DarkOne-Rob
2014-04-18, 02:01 AM
Round 3

Your Knowledge (Nature) reveals all the basic info under the lizardfolk entry in the SRD found here (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/monsters/lizardfolk.html#_lizardfolk).
Knowledge (Local) reveals that these lizardfolk are likely from the Mistmarsh. The garrison in Diamond Lake is there for the primary purpose of defending Greyhawk and its holdings from attacks from such lizardfolk. A band of 5 lizardfolk (what you have seen so far) is likely only a scouting group, but may be a sign of greater threats to come.
Things are tense for several seconds. Arkiana makes her way to the second story, balancing carefully and keeping clear of Ssayth's claws. Lyr heals himself and threatens the reptile. Jan makes her way up most of the stairs and can barely see over the edge, readying a spell that she never gets a clear shot to cast. Frederick successfully intimidates Ssayth, causing the creature to tremble visibly. In apparent rage it lashes out at the orc, biting and clawing with its free hand and missing both times. "Filthy warmbloodsssss! Ssayth will not ssstand for ssuch threatsss!" As it tries to move Olofire's scalpel darts out and gets it soundly, causing the hulking reptile to fall, disabled (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/glossary.html#_disabled) on the edge of the roof.

Arkiana - Knowledge checks reveal basic lizardfolk info and general threat of lizardfolk to this area from the nearby swamp, moves
Lyr - Heal for 2 HPs, would have missed with attack anyway
Jan - Moves up stairs to ready action Color Spray DC 16 which doesn't happen since he tries to move in such a manner that Jan has no clear shot
Frederick - Demoralize Intimidate check of 22 vs 13 DC, Ssayth is shaken (-2 on d20 rolls) for 2 rounds
Ssayth - (Shaken) Attacks Frederick - Bite [roll0] attack, [roll1] crit confirmation, [roll2] damage
Claw [roll3] attack, [roll4] crit confirmation, [roll5] damage
Followed by a 5-ft step if still conscious (still taking Olofire's attack while flanked)
Olofire - Strike if Ssayth doesn't throw down his shield/weapons, [roll6] attack, [roll7] crit confirmation on a natural 19-20, [roll8] + [roll9] damage
As always, I am trying to interpret everyone's actions the best I can. If you have concerns of any kind, please send me a text via FaceBook or a private message via the forums. I do not mind questions or concerns and will try to keep working things out so that everyone is happy with how things are interpretted. Feel free to look at all of the spoilered "Combat Mechanics" in my posts so far to better understand what I am trying to do.

Farmerbink
2014-04-18, 07:52 AM
Frederick steps back onto the stairs, muttering. Stupid, prideful lizard. Should have just started talking.

Would someone who can reach him kill the fool? I'd rather not fall through the floor due to my own stupid, prideful actions.

I'm also thoroughly unconvinced that the threat has been fully removed. We haven't yet laid eyes upon the pantry or the basement. I feel certain that anything threatening in those places has heard thus ruckus, but hopefully no one has gotten away to bring more help. We are in a relatively unknown area, but I'd rather not see an entire company of lizard men come down on this place while we're here. It would not end well for us.

He starts heading down the stairs but stops in order to listen to his companions' responses and continue the dialogue. (trialogue?)

Albinobrow
2014-04-18, 07:53 AM
There. He's not dead, but I doubt he'll try going anywhere, let alone try to attack again.

Albinobrow
2014-04-18, 08:01 AM
Frederick, if he tries anything other than leave the premises slowly, he will fall unconscious and possibly die.

Dr. Olofire emphasizes certain words so that even Ssayth understands what he is trying to say.

Untarr
2014-04-18, 08:04 AM
These lizardfolk hail from Mistmarsh. This is likely a scouting party, and may indicate further danger. We will need to search the house for more threats and clues as to what they were doing here. I will leave Bigby on the roof to watch for approaching threats.

Her eyes turn to Ssayth.

Lyr and I can stay here. The rest of you should search the rest of the house for threats. Lyr, please help me disarm and search him.

Farmerbink
2014-04-18, 08:14 AM
Frederick, if he tries anything other than leave the premises slowly, he will fall unconscious and possibly die.

Just before leaving the top landing of the stairs, Frederick turns back to face the halfling, still balancing on the roof beams.

That is exactly what we cannot afford to allow.

As Arkiana has mentioned, this is almost certainly a scouting party. What that means to us is twofold. One, they know this house exists, and two, they don't know that it's safe. If he returns to his tribe, they will know precisely how many of us are here, as well as it's strategically significant location, relative to Diamond Lake. They will come upon us in force, kill us, and have a dangerous base camp close to the... city.

He has to die. If you don't want to do it, come help me get out of this armor so I can get across the boards more safely.

He stands waiting for a response and then continues down the stairs, if someone indicates willingness to finish the job.

DarkOne-Rob
2014-04-18, 08:22 AM
Ssayth groans, barely still conscious from loss of blood. He is carrying a turtle-shell heavy shield (not masterwork, just unusual material, statistics identical to a wooden Heavy Shield), a heavy club (masterwork), and four potions (3 are similar in appearance, light red with the consistancy of water; the fourth is green and thick like oil). While he is not currently acting threatening, he is still effectively "armed" and could be dangerous.

Is anyone planning to attempt to bind him?

Untarr
2014-04-18, 08:32 AM
Someone bind him, we can have this argument later. Killing him now removes the possibility of asking him questions.

MuffinMan
2014-04-18, 08:51 AM
Drawing his quarterstaff, Ly advances across the roof to Ssyath. "You live a charmed life, scaly." Then he clubs him unconscious with the staff.

Choosing to deal nonlethal damage for a -4 to atk... *SIGH* :smallwink:
Atk [roll0]
Crit Confirm [roll1]
Damage [roll2]
If I miss, attack again
Atk [roll3]
Crit Confirm [roll4]
Damage [roll5]
Etc etc etc
Atk [roll6]
Crit Confirm [roll7]
Damage [roll8]

Once he's unconscious, Lyr strips his weapons and flips him over to start binding his hands and legs. "Watch yourselves down there - yell if there's any more trouble."

DarkOne-Rob
2014-04-18, 08:55 AM
It takes several good blows to pierce the tough skull and hide of the lizardfolk, but eventually Lyr succeeds at knocking him unconscious.

The office is still unexplored, though there is now no sound coming from that room. The kitchen is apparently empty, though it too is largely unchecked; there is a pantry and that door is closed. Finally, the party can explore the basement. Which room will you explore next?

Farmerbink
2014-04-18, 08:56 AM
During the semi-humorous exchange that is Lyr hitting the building several times before connecting to club the lizard unconscious, Frederick responds to his comments. I fully expect more trouble, and would rather meet it with you already at my back, Pilgrim. I'll wait at the stairs to the basement.

He then heads down the stairs and gets a better look at (both of?) the stairs headed down to the basement.

MuffinMan
2014-04-18, 09:03 AM
Lyr drags the bound, unconscious Ssyath down to the ground floor (with much exertion!), and then hefts the fine-looking club as he catches his breath. "He won't need this anymore, and I think he'll stay put while we check the basement. Ready when you are."

When they are ready to descend, Lyr puts away the club and re-draws the flying blade.

Albinobrow
2014-04-18, 09:04 AM
As Lyr approaches the lizard, Dr. Olofire looks away and heads for the stairs. I will examine those potions later when we have the chance. And then goes downstairs with Frederick.

Untarr
2014-04-18, 09:29 AM
Doctor, if you don't mind, let me see those potions.

Taking the potions in hand, she whispers something under breath as her eyes begin to glow.

Cast Detect Magic
Spell craft to Identify (+2 elf)
[roll0] Red
[roll1] Green

DarkOne-Rob
2014-04-18, 09:36 AM
The three red potions are Potions of Cure Light Wounds. Arkiana cannot determine the green potion.

JWallyR
2014-04-18, 10:17 AM
Jan seems to take some grim satisfaction from watching the staff club consciousness from Ssayth's duplicitous reptilian skull. She falls in line behind Lyr, excited to see whatever is in the basement!

Albinobrow
2014-04-18, 10:26 AM
The mutagen's effects will only last for another 9 minutes or so. We should make haste.

Farmerbink
2014-04-18, 01:50 PM
Right, then. Making with the hate. Frederick quickly steps into the kitchen, in search of something with which to block the door leading from there down into the basement.

Doctor, take Arkiana and Jan outside and make sure nothing comes up from that side. Scream like your life depends on it if you see anything threatening. Hopefully it will not. I'll head that way as soon as this exit is blocked to my satisfaction.

Pilgrim, quickly help me pile this refuse in front of the door.

Assuming everyone is acting accordingly, I changed positions on the map based on what has been discussed. Lyr and I are in the kitchen, moving furniture. The other three are headed towards the front door, past the bound form of Ssayth (or whatever his name was).

MuffinMan
2014-04-18, 01:55 PM
Nodding, Lyr assists with barricading the door in the kitchen and then goes outside to rejoin the others, but not before gagging Ssyath and binding his reptilian mouth shut for good measure!

Untarr
2014-04-18, 01:56 PM
Arkiana continues to move to the outside of the house. When she reaches the stairs down to the basement, she puts her hands together and a ball of ice appears between them.

Move to (Q,12), ready an action to let loose a Cold Modified Burning Hands The cone should reach (P,15), so let loose if something moves into/through that square. DC 16 Reflex Half.
[roll0] Cold DMG (If needed)

Albinobrow
2014-04-18, 02:15 PM
Dr. Olofire stands just above the stairs ready to run down them after Arkiana releases her spell, should they see someone.

Move to (P,12) ready to strike after Arkiana fires her spell. I believe that spot should be out of her area of effect.
Attack [roll0]
Crit confirm [roll1]
damage [roll2] + sneak attack [roll3]

DarkOne-Rob
2014-04-18, 02:52 PM
The barricade won't stop anything too determined, but it will make enough noise to alert the party if anything tries to pass that way. Nothing comes up from below and the party has no difficulty getting to the cellar doors down the stairs. Nothing moves to attack as the door is opened.

Looking inside you can see that the cellar is partially collapsed, but appears to be stable at the current time. Along one wall, a crumbling wine rack still stands, although others have already plundered it, leaving a pile of empty and broken bottles at its base.

Please update your positions outside the cellar, using the stairs as desired but without entering the basement itself.

You can hear the squeaking of rodents. Some sound ominously larger than the others.
Several enormous rodents charge out from all directions, aggressively defending their territory! Roll initiative and state your first round combat actions!

Farmerbink
2014-04-18, 02:58 PM
Frederick finishes the barricade as best he can and heads around to the basement.

[roll0]

He looks askance at his companions gathered around the top of the stairs. Why do I get the feeling that my day is not about to get better? Anyone care to lead the way?

Untarr
2014-04-18, 02:59 PM
[roll0] perception (Bigby up top)

There are several large rodents in there. Larger than normal, probably of the dire rodent variety.

Untarr
2014-04-18, 03:06 PM
[roll0] for info about dire rats or any other large rat.

Going to assume that gives me access to at least the general info.
Standing at (p,14)

Dire rats can come in large numbers. Be ready for at least three. Their bite won't hurt too bad, but the wound can easily get infected. We should let them group up and then let me burn them up. Frederick, go in and try to get them to follow you back out.

Farmerbink
2014-04-18, 03:06 PM
Frederick looks askance specifically at Arkiana, seemingly confused or shocked. How do you know this?

Albinobrow
2014-04-18, 03:08 PM
I won't fight you, but I can go first. I feel much more comfortable with someone on the opposite said of my foe if possible. I only have the boost from the mutagen for roughly another 8 minutes. Let's make this quick.

I'm guessing at the time by what all has happened. I can edit if I need to.

JWallyR
2014-04-18, 03:09 PM
Perception! [roll0]

Ooh! says Janstina, I hear them too! I bet I can zonk a bunch of them before they know what hit 'em! But I would feel a bit better with someone to help get any I miss! She grins winsomely at Olofire!

Albinobrow
2014-04-18, 03:12 PM
Perception [roll0] (Oh yeah.. lowed WIS due to mutagen.. Oops.)
Knowledge (Nature) [roll1] R.O.U.Ss

Untarr
2014-04-18, 03:20 PM
Frederick looks askance specifically at Arkiana, seemingly confused or shocked. How do you know this?
Well, we can't know for sure. However, based on the noises coming from inside and the conditions of the cellar, it is highly probable that we are dealing with Dire Rats.

Arkiana smiles.

I am ready when you are. Keep them in the doorway so only one can attack you at a time. I'll stand here and roast them for you.

Cold Modified Burning Hands DC 16 Reflex Half

Farmerbink
2014-04-18, 03:22 PM
Turning his head back and forth between the party, Frederick puts 2 and 2 together. I think I understand. Here is what I suggest: I will go first and lead the way through the door. As soon as I safely can, I will step to the side and Arkiana and Jan can unleash their own magics into the rodents.

Shall we?

Assuming looks, nods, and other general acquiescence, Frederick leads the way down the stairs, shield at the ready.

Once everyone has expressed agreement and readiness, Frederick opens the door and steps through, shield readied. Plan is to fight defensively until next round and THEN 5-foot step to the side.

Albinobrow
2014-04-18, 03:23 PM
I'll go Frederick. You are both weighed down by your armor and already wounded, while I am neither. I will do my best to have whatever is down there follow me up the stairs. However if they don't follow, don't hesitate to come down and help out. He says that last part nervously, hoping that it doesn't come to that.

Albinobrow
2014-04-18, 03:25 PM
Or that. let's do that. Lead the way.

Untarr
2014-04-18, 03:55 PM
Ok, wait til he gets them clumped up and then out of the way. Then, step in and light up their world.

Arkiana nods to Frederick. She places herself right behind him. Waving to Jan, she indicates that she should stand right behind her.

Albinobrow
2014-04-18, 04:00 PM
Dr. Olofire decides to stand behind Jan until the magic user's spells go off, then run in to assist Frederick.

Farmerbink
2014-04-18, 04:40 PM
Frederick opens the door and steps forward, prepared to face whatever lies within.

MuffinMan
2014-04-18, 10:33 PM
Bringing up the rear of the group, Lyr grips his chain blade close, ready to face whatever they find.

DarkOne-Rob
2014-04-18, 10:40 PM
In response to the intruder into their territory, six dire rats leap out from behind rubble to attack!

Roll initiative and give me combat actions!

MuffinMan
2014-04-18, 10:49 PM
Round 1

M CN Half-Elf Cleric, Level 1, Init +4, HP 6/10, DR -, Speed 40
masterwork Club (-) +4 (1d6 + 4, x2)
Daily Use Abilities
Bit of Luck 2 / 5
Agile Feet 0 / 5

Grimacing a bit at the cramped environment of the staircase and basement, Lyr puts aside his chain blade and draws his new club, rubbing the dice in his coat pocket for luck.

Initiative [roll0]
Draw the club (move action) and activate 'Bit of Luck' on myself for next round.

Untarr
2014-04-18, 10:51 PM
Round 1

Do not panic. Here they come!

[roll0]

Hold action until after the rats move to attack John. Then, roast them with a cone that avoids Fred but hits as many as possible.

Burning Hands DC 16 Reflex Half
[roll1]

Afterwards, if any are still moving, switch spots with Jan so that she can lay down Color Spray.

Farmerbink
2014-04-18, 10:54 PM
Round 1

M LG Half-Orc Paladin, Level 1, Init -1, HP 11/12, Speed 30
AC 20, Touch 11, Flat-footed 18, CMD 14, Fort +2, Ref -1, Will +1, CMB +5, Base Attack Bonus 1
Masterwork Greatsword +4 (2d6+6, 19-20/x2)
Warhammer +3 (1d8+4, x3)
Longbow (40 standard arrows) -1 (1d8, x3)
mainhand locked gauntlet Spiked Banded Mail, Heavy Steel Shield (+7 Armor, +2 Shield, -1 Dex)
Abilities Str 18, Dex 8, Con 11, Int 10, Wis 8, Cha 16
Condition Poisoned, -2 dex, -1 Con; fighting defensively

[roll0]

Frederick stands firm, allowing the rats to come to him, with a readied action to attack defensively the first one within range.

[roll1] attack
[roll2] crit confirm
[roll3] damage

JWallyR
2014-04-18, 11:08 PM
Round 1

[roll0]

Jan gets ready to hop up beside Frederick and spray dazzling incoherence at the assembled vermin!

Step up beside Frederick (opposite Arkiana, or trading places with Arkiana? See the OOC thread for discussion) and COLOR SPRAY! Aiming to hit the biggest rats (and no players), but secondarily as many of the smaller ones as possible. DC 17 (I've been forgetting the racial +1 to illusion spells for Gnomes)

(+2 Dex, +1 Size)
Condition None

Albinobrow
2014-04-19, 03:15 PM
[roll0]

Dr. Olofire waits for the two spellcasters to spray the rats with magic, then if able runs in to aid Frederick!

DarkOne-Rob
2014-04-19, 03:22 PM
Round 1

Lyr prepares himself with his god's favor. The rats charge at Frederick, but cannot pierce his heavy armor! Arkiana roasts three rats with her spell, leaving one alive near the door which Jan tries to stun. It doesn't appear affected, however that doesn't matter when Olofire comes in and stabs it with his scalpel. Finally Frederick wraps up all but one remaining rat with his hammer.

24 - Arkiana - Delay till rats move
18 - Lyr - Draw club, activate Bit of Luck, 5-ft step
18 - Dire Rats - attack Frederick
[roll0] attack, [roll1] crit confirmation, [roll2] damage (miss)
[roll3] attack, [roll4] crit confirmation, [roll5] damage (miss)
[roll6] attack, [roll7] crit confirmation, [roll8] damage (miss)
17 - Arkiana - Burning Hands for 9 damage, DC 16 for half damage, then move
Rat Reflex save [roll9] (pass)
Rat Reflex save [roll10] (fail)
Rat Reflex save [roll11] (fail)
Rat Reflex save [roll12] (fail)
13 - Olofire - Waits for spellcasters
12 - Jan - move and then Color Spray DC 17
Rat Will save [roll13] (pass)
Rat Will save [roll14]
Rat Will save [roll15]
Rat Will save [roll16]
11 - Olofire moves and kills a rat
0 - Frederick - kills a rat
In the face of such fearsome heat, light and seeing its companions dead, the remaining rat turns tail and runs back into the mess of rubble, burrowing out of sight. End of combat!

DarkOne-Rob
2014-04-19, 03:47 PM
Assuming the party searches the cellar thoroughly:
Hidden away among the refuse are some old mining items that the characters may find useful in the future. For each successful DC 20 Perception check you find an additional item. Taking 20 is allowed and finds everything. Remember that if you are taking 20 that is spending roughly 20 minutes searching and rooting around amongst the rubble.

climber’s kit
hooded lantern with 3 flasks of oil
a miner’s pick
6 torches
50 feet of hemp rope
a breathing mask
two miner’s helmets and miner’s outfits
a pickaxe and a rockhammer
A small wooden chest containing 140 gp, 341 sp, a fizzy blue potion, Elixir of Swimming (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/magicItems/wondrousItems.html#_elixir-of-swimming) a dark brown muddy-textured potion, Potion of Reduce Person (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/spells/reducePerson.html#_reduce-person) and a scroll. Arcane - Burning Hands

Untarr
2014-04-19, 03:50 PM
Arkiana walks back into the cellar. Carefully stepping over the charred corpses, she surveys the destruction.

Ok.

Smiling, she exits the cellar and begins to walk back to the main floor.

Before she exits, she notices something in the refuse. Pulling it out, she sees that it has ropes and tools useful for climbing.

I wonder what else is down here...

Untarr
2014-04-19, 03:52 PM
[roll0] check ie check

DarkOne-Rob
2014-04-19, 04:01 PM
There are still hostile creatures in the building just FYI. You have not found them yet...

Speaking of finding stuff:
Underneath the debris in this room is hidden a locked chest. 477 gp and 345 sp
You also find a suit of banded mail, a longsword, and a heavy steel shield with the insignia of the Greyhawk Army on them. These look to be from the garrison in Diamond Lake. If a soldier is missing there won't be any remains (lizardfolk are carnivorous and will eat other humanoid species), but these might identify the poor soul and give closure to any family he might have had...

Untarr
2014-04-19, 04:49 PM
Ok, we need to search everything thoroughly. The lizard folk could have been using this as a base of operations. There could be a lot of useful things here. We should also stay in groups, I do not think this place is done threatening us.

Arkiana begins searching through the cellar, seemingly unaffected by the dirt and filth.

Take 20 search basement

Farmerbink
2014-04-19, 05:38 PM
Frederick surveys the area briefly before commenting to his companions. I think we should head back upstairs and make sure that all the threats have been taken care of before we immerse ourselves too much in more mundane tasks. There will be ample time for cleaning up later, and we will certainly find everything interesting in the process. I'd rather not worry about something sneaking up behind us, or away, while we're busy down here.

Without further ado, he heads back up the stairs they came down to complete the inspection of the building.

Untarr
2014-04-19, 06:49 PM
Seemingly unconcerned with Frederick leaving, Arkiana continues to search. Soon, she is joined by a small green scorpion

[roll0] Arkiana
[roll1] Bigby
[roll2] Arkiana
[roll3] Bigby
[roll4] Arkiana
[roll5] Bigby
[roll6] Arkiana
[roll7] Bigby
[roll8] Arkiana
[roll9] Bigby
[roll10] Arkiana
[roll11] Bigby
[roll12] Arkiana
[roll13] Bigby
[roll14] Arkiana
[roll15] Bigby
[roll16] Arkiana
[roll17] Bigby
[roll18] Arkiana
[roll19] Bigby
[roll20] Arkiana
[roll21] Bigby
[roll22] Arkiana
[roll23] Bigby
[roll24] Arkiana
[roll25] Bigby
[roll26] Arkiana
[roll27] Bigby
[roll28] Arkiana
[roll29] Bigby
[roll30] Arkiana
[roll31] Bigby
[roll32] Arkiana
[roll33] Bigby
[roll34] Arkiana
[roll35] Bigby
[roll36] Arkiana
[roll37] Bigby
[roll38] Arkiana
[roll39] Bigby

It takes Arkiana and Bigby 8 minutes of searching to find everything.

Untarr
2014-04-19, 07:10 PM
With everything laid out In front of her, Arkiana whispers something and her eyes begin to glow.

[roll0] vs 17 (Fizzy Blue)
[roll1] vs 16 (dark brown)
[roll2] vs 16 (scroll)

MuffinMan
2014-04-19, 08:23 PM
Lyr nods, responding to Frederick. "Makes sense to me, I'll help you finish checking upstairs. At least one of you two should stay with Arkiana." Then he goes upstairs with Frederick and resumes examining the rooms, saving the barricaded office for last.

(And switching back to the flying blade.)

Albinobrow
2014-04-19, 08:42 PM
My mutagen is still in effect for another 6 minutes, give or take 20 seconds or so. And while it is quite a boon to my physical abilities, it does make my mind a bit hazy. I'll go with you as well, Frederick.

Farmerbink
2014-04-19, 09:06 PM
With Lyr and Olofire in tie, Frederick approaches the door to the office. watch my back for a moment, if you would.. He then sets his shoulder into the door and begins pressing the barricade back into the room.

I'm assuming str check(s). [roll0]

Farmerbink
2014-04-19, 09:09 PM
HURK! After he slams his face into the doorjamb in his befuddled attempt to open the door, he sets his shoulder back to the door, firmly plants his feet a few feet away, deliberately clears his face of any obstacles and tries again.

-_-

[roll0]

JWallyR
2014-04-19, 11:17 PM
Jan, having utterly no interest in sifting through rubble, tags along with Frederick. Stifling a giggle as he loses the first round of his fight with the door, she wanders over to take a peek through the dining room door.

Perception: [roll0]

DarkOne-Rob
2014-04-20, 12:39 AM
It takes Frederick an unusually awkward number or attempts to force open the office door. When he does he finds the remains of a ruined library and work space with a large desk pushed up against the door and a hole in the ceiling above it. At first glance the room has little that can be salvaged as far as furniture.

Carefully hidden in the desk are two scrolls in watertight cases.
Arcane with three spells
Detect Secret Doors (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/spells/detectSecretDoors.html#_detect-secret-doors)
Grease (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/spells/grease.html#_grease)
Darkvision (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/spells/darkvision.html#_darkvision)

Divine with three spells
Shillelagh (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/spells/shillelagh.html#_shillelagh)
Cure Light Wounds (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/spells/cureLightWounds.html#_cure-light-wounds)
Hold Person (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/spells/holdPerson.html#_hold-person)

Albinobrow
2014-04-20, 07:48 AM
Dr. Olofire peeks inside when the door finally opens.

[roll0]

Farmerbink
2014-04-20, 08:50 AM
Frederick steps into the library, and briefly scans the area. [roll0]

I don't see anything problematic in here. Let's check the pantry and the rest of the upstairs.

Before leaving, he shoves the desk away from the door, allowing it to be opened more freely.

MuffinMan
2014-04-20, 10:48 AM
[roll0] holy cow I made it! Editing my actions, then, and I'll add the scrolls to the loot table.

"Hang on a second!" Just as he's turning to leave, a small inconsistency in the desk catches Lyr's eye - the grains lining up slightly differently in one area. Walking over and examining it more closesly, he finds a concealed latch that opens a panel with two sealed scrolls inside. Lyr glances at them a moment before pocketing them. "Arkiana will know what to make of them. Ok, let's go." He goes with the others to re-examine the kitchen and pantry.

JWallyR
2014-04-20, 11:24 AM
Jan wanders over to check out the office!

[roll0]

Untarr
2014-04-20, 11:52 AM
[roll0] Arkiana
[roll1] Bigby

Rolling

As she is moving the items from the cellar to the dining area for inspection by the rest of the party, Bigby pinches her briefly and runs under a pile of debris. Clearing it off, Arkiana finds a locked chest. Beside it, she also finds a suit of banded mail, a longsword, and a heavy steel shield with the insignia of the Greyhawk Army on them.

Piling the items with the rest of her findings, she heads back down to get more of the spoils from the basement.

MuffinMan
2014-04-20, 12:25 PM
Lyr frowns at the locked pantry doors. "Stand back, I'm going to get these open." He puts his flying blade down on the table or counter, draws the club, and starts smashing the doors until they open.

I'll just keep attacking or strength checking until they're open. Wielding the club 2H at this point (no shield).
Lyr is right in front of the pantry, and presumably Frederick, Olofire, and Jan are also in the kitchen area looking around.

Crit conf: [roll1]
Dmg: [roll2]

Strength check: [roll3]

Perception to hear whatever's inside after I hit the door: [roll4]

Initiative: [roll5]

DarkOne-Rob
2014-04-20, 12:43 PM
It takes several moments, but Lyr is able to knock the pantry door off its hinges, revealing a number of empty and broken shelves along with two empty barrels.

A moment later three vipers spring forth and attack!

Lyr was unable to hear the vipers over the noise of busting down the door. They have been preparing actions to attack the first non-Ssayth creature they see. Roll Initiative, everyone (except Ian) and your first round actions. The map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AlQGw8atRk3_dFpYaXg1OUFNZVhZbDltMmIxSmpqe Gc&om=true&richtext=false#gid=0) is updated too.

[roll0] attack, [roll1] crit confirmation, [roll2] damage (miss)
[roll3] attack, [roll4] crit confirmation, [roll5] damage (miss)
[roll6] attack, [roll7] crit confirmation, [roll8] damage (hit)
Lyr is bitten by one of the vipers for 1 damage. Roll a DC 13 Fortitude save vs. its poison.

1d2 Con damage, plus additional saves each round for six rounds till you pass, taking 1d2 Con damage for each failed save

Untarr
2014-04-20, 01:03 PM
[roll0]
Initiatives first!

Untarr
2014-04-20, 01:11 PM
Round 1

(+4 Dex)
Condition 1 CON Dmg
+2 Fort, +2 Will, +3 Ref
AC 18, Touch 15, FF 15

Hearing the commotion from the other room, Arkiana rushes in to assist.

Move to (M,9), or (L,9) if possible
Casting Defensively
[roll0] vs DC 17 (Spell is lost on Failure)
Cold Modified Burning Hands DC 16 Reflex Half
[roll1] Cold DMG

Cone will be as shown on map. If it will hit less than two vipers (and she can't get it off without hitting a teammate), she instead does the following:

Move to (L,8). Ray of Frost on (M,10) Viper.
[roll2] vs Touch
[roll3] Crit Confirm
[roll4] Cold DMG

I have drawn both cones, the one centered on L,9 has a dashed border on it.

JWallyR
2014-04-20, 01:24 PM
Round 1

[roll0]

Jan spins around to see the vipers spring at Lyr! With a concerned look on her face, she steps up beside him, while a sphere of conflicting colors coalesces between her hands...

Color Spray, DC 17, aimed at as many vipers as I can hit without hitting Lyr too. I'm assuming I can hit at least 2 without endangering others.

Farmerbink
2014-04-20, 02:39 PM
Frederick, who was watching Lyr from just far enough to be safe from the backswings, steps forward, drawing his war hammer in the process. He then makes to attack the nearest viper with said hammer.

[roll0] initiative
[roll1] attack
[roll2] crit confirm
[roll3] damage

MuffinMan
2014-04-20, 07:31 PM
Round 1

M CN Half-Elf Cleric, Level 1, Init +4, HP 5/10, DR -, Speed 40
masterwork Club (-) +4 (1d6 + 3, x2)
Studded Leather, Tortoise Shell Shield (+3 Armor, +2 Dex)
Condition None
Daily Use Abilities
Bit of Luck 2 / 5
Agile Feet 0 / 5

"Ahh!" Lyr cries out in surprise and pain as he's bitten. He swings the club at the viper who just struck him before stepping back out of range.

Fortitude save: [roll0]
Attack [roll1]
Crit Confirm [roll2]
Damage [roll3]
5 ft step back to N8, letting the casters and Frederick get a clear shot.

Albinobrow
2014-04-20, 07:37 PM
Yowza! Look out!

[roll0]

Move to (O,9)
attack [roll1]
crit confirmation [roll2]
damage [roll3] + sneak attack [roll4]

Albinobrow
2014-04-20, 07:40 PM
(Statblocky)

Male N. Good Halfling Alchemist (Vivis/Chirurgeon), Level 1, Init +6, HP 13/13, Speed 30 ft
AC 21, Touch 17, Flat-footed 15, CMD 15, Fort +4, Ref +9, Will +0, CMB -1, Base Attack Bonus 0
Leather Armor (+2 Armor, +6 Dex, +1 Size, +2 Deflect)
Condition None

DarkOne-Rob
2014-04-21, 01:41 AM
Round 1

Moving like the wind, Olofire dashes into action...and misses the viper he attacks. Lyr fights off the snake's venom and hits it with his club before withdrawing a step. Jan steps into the spot he left and sprays the snakes with light, knocking out two (6 rounds, 4 rounds, and 1 round). Arkiana stumbles on her way to the scene and trips over the words of her spell, loosing it in the process. The remaining conscious viper strikes at Jan, but she is too quick and avoids it easily. Finally, Frederick looks at the tight doorway to the pantry and the party members in the way, frustrated that he cannot move in to attack...

Olofire – Move to O9 and miss
Lyr – Hit for 9 damage and move to N8
Jan – Move and cast Color Spray DC 17
Viper1 [roll0] Will Save (fail)
Viper2 [roll1] Will Save (fail)
Arkiana – Move to M9 and Lose Burning Hands
Vipers – Attack Jan
[roll2] Attack, [roll3] Crit confirmation, [roll4] damage
[roll5] Attack, [roll6] Crit confirmation, [roll7] damage
[roll8] Attack, [roll9] Crit confirmation, [roll10] damage (miss)
Frederick – Cannot move into position due to other players moving first…
Two snakes are essentially out of the fight, including the one Lyr hit with his attack. One viper remains unharmed and conscious. After disposing of the last snake you can either kill the others or try and release them to the wild (assuming you move quickly enough).
Frederick may keep the rolls he made last round or roll fresh ones next round, as you choose.

MuffinMan
2014-04-21, 02:21 AM
Round 2

M CN Half-Elf Cleric, Level 1, Init +4, HP 5/10, DR -, Speed 40
Condition None
Daily Use Abilities
Bit of Luck 2 / 5
Agile Feet 0 / 5

"How many reptiles does this blasted place possess?" Lyr complains, rubbing the bite on his arm. When Jan steps aside he moves back into range and swings his club at the nearest snake.

Ready an action for right after Jan moves away:
5 ft step back to N10 and attack the conscious snake
Attack [roll0]
Crit Confirm [roll1]
Damage [roll2]
If it's already dead or I can't get to it, coup de grace an unconscious snake instead.

Untarr
2014-04-21, 06:32 AM
Round 2

Her eyebrows fold as she clenches her fist. Growling under her breath, she takes a step back and fires a ray of frost at the vipers.

Move to (L,8)
Ray of Frost
[roll0] vs 20% Concealment (Miss on 1-20)
[roll1] vs Touch
[roll2] Confirm
[roll3] Cold DMG

Rolling the concealment because it seems like the wall would provide that. If I'm wrong, let me know.

Albinobrow
2014-04-21, 09:48 AM
Round 2

AC 25, Touch 17, Flat-footed 19, CMD 15, Fort +4, Ref +9, Will +0, CMB -1, Base Attack Bonus 0
Leather Armor (+2 Armor, +4 Shield, +6 Dex, +1 Size, +2 Natural)
Condition None

Trying to be more aware of the vipers movements, Dr. Olofire strikes again!

attack [roll0]
crit confirmation [roll1]
then 5-foot step back to let Frederick in, if he wants some action.

Albinobrow
2014-04-21, 09:49 AM
It possessssssss far to many methinksssss!

Farmerbink
2014-04-21, 10:24 AM
Frederick steps into the space vacated by Dr. Olofire and makes squish out of the nearest viper.

20 attack, 10 damage. (crit confirm unnecessary)

JWallyR
2014-04-21, 11:15 AM
Round 2

Jan steps back to let the others take care of the remaining snake, grinning with satisfaction at the results of her efforts.

5 foot step backward followed by a total defense action.

AC 17, Touch 17, Flat-footed 11, CMD 13, Fort +2, Ref +2, Will +1, CMB -3, Base Attack Bonus 0
(+2 Dex, +1 Size)
Condition Total Defense Action

DarkOne-Rob
2014-04-21, 01:34 PM
Round 2

The party dances around the small door. Olofire kills the middle (unconscious) snake while Lyr and Arkiana miss the conscious one (along the outside wall). The conscious viper bites Lyr for 1 damage, and Frederick moves into the pantry itself to lay the pain on the active reptile.

Olofire – Kills middle snake and 5-ft step back
Lyr – Waits for Jan to move
Jan – 5-ft step back
Lyr - 5-ft step and misses
Arkiana – 5-ft step back and misses with ray
(Conscious) Viper – Attacks Lyr [roll0] attack, [roll1] crit confirmation, [roll2] damage
Frederick – Moves to hit the conscious viper for 10 damage
I had to work with your actions a bit to get everything to work (due to initiative). If this isn't what you were willing to do, let me know (so I can correct it in the future; this combat should be over soon) I need another DC 13 Fortitude save from Lyr for the same poison.

Shooting around the corner causes the snake to have cover (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/combat.html#_cover), not concealment. That added +4 to its AC, along with shooting into melee for another +4 causing you to miss. Concealment is more mist, darkness, or something making a target's exact location fuzzy and indistinct, not blocking line of sight. Just FYI.

MuffinMan
2014-04-21, 04:12 PM
Round 3

M CN Half-Elf Cleric, Level 1, Init +4, HP 4/10, Speed 40
Condition None
Daily Use Abilities
Bit of Luck 2 / 5
Agile Feet 0 / 5

[roll0] vs DC 13

"Oww!!" Glaring at the viper, Lyr swings the club with all of his might.

Attack [roll1]
Crit confirm [roll2]
Damage [roll3]

JWallyR
2014-04-21, 04:58 PM
Round 3

Jan winces as she sees the snake get another nip at Lyr, but waits in the back for combat to end.

Full Defense Action

Untarr
2014-04-21, 06:24 PM
Round 3

Putting her hand up again, Arkiana stands on her toes and ducks to the floor. Sighing in frustration, she stands again and the small ball of ice disappears.

Do Nothing

Farmerbink
2014-04-21, 06:33 PM
Round 3

Chuckling to himself, Frederick attacks the last threatening viper.

[roll0] attack
[roll1] CC
[roll2] damage

at least it was the CC, but that's now 6 natural 1s. Not a single nat 20 yet -_-

Albinobrow
2014-04-21, 07:41 PM
Round 3

Dr. Olofire trying to end this as soon as possible throws a scalpel at the one threatening viper left. Good thing I carry more than one of these.

ranged scalpel attack at threatening viper (unless it is already dead)
attack [roll0]
Crit Confirn [roll1]
move action draw my other scalpel

DarkOne-Rob
2014-04-21, 11:33 PM
Only Olofire connects, his scalpel grazing the viper's body. However, it does connect and hurt the snake. It turns away and slithers through a sizable hole in the wall, not willing to die to protect the pantry for Ssayth...

Frederick may make an attack of opportunity if desired. I am assuming either coup de grave or release the unconscious serpent. Otherwise, end of combat.

The pantry contains 16 days of trail rations and 4 waterskins.
Cleverly hidden among the rations is a silvery potion.
Potion of Resist Energy (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/spells/resistEnergy.html#_resist-energy) (Acid)
Everyone has earned 1,200 XP (6,000 divided 5 ways).
If the dead soldier's equipment is returned to the Diamond Lake garrison, the characters will be rewarded with 25 each and given a small medal worth 5 gp for their service.

Interrogating Ssayth and learning of the impending attack on the keep (300 XP), the lizardfolk chieftain Shukak (200 XP), and the black dragon, Ilthane (300 XP) will earn them story experience.

Untarr
2014-04-22, 05:50 AM
Good, now that we are done playing with snakes. Can we please search the house? There are obviously things of value hidden here she says as she points at the pile of things in the dining room. AND, we need to figure out what Ssayth and his crew was doing here. Finally, if someone could be a dear, and open up that chest for us.... Arkiana walks back inside.

Taking 20 to search the house. I am now going to go back and list everything from the IC thread of what we found. I will highlight things in red that I fail to identify. I think Trey and James can help with that.

Untarr
2014-04-22, 06:08 AM
[roll0] vs Silvery Potion (DC 18) FAIL
[roll1] vs Scroll 1 Spell 1 (DC 16) FAIL
[roll2] vs Scroll 1 Spell 2 (DC 16) Grease
[roll3] vs Scroll 1 Spell 3 (DC 18) Darkvision
[roll4] vs Scroll 2 Spell 1 (DC 16) Shillelagh
[roll5] vs Scroll 2 Spell 2 (DC 16) Cure Light Wounds
[roll6] vs Scroll 2 Spell 3 (DC 18) Hold Person
[roll7] Knowledge Local vs (DC 10) to identify armor as from the garrison

After a few minutes, Arkiana sits down in the dining room and mutters something as her eyes begin to glow. Taking the scrolls from Lyr, she begins to examine the remaining items.

After a few minutes Arkiana stands back up. Picking up the two potions and the arcane scroll, she turns to Jan and the Doctor.

Can you help me with this? I am having a hard time figuring out what they are. Making a sheepish grin she continues I never tried real hard in my alchemy classes...

Need one of you to Identify the following:
Fizzy Blue Potion (DC 17)
Silver Potion (DC 18)
Scroll 1, Spell 1 (DC 16)

Indicating to the armor...
That probably belongs to the garrison. They will be able to tell which soldier's it is and let the family know that they have died in the line of duty.

Finally, finding Lyr, she hands him the divine scroll.

Here, there are three spells on it. The first is Shillelagh (http://paizo.com/prd/spells/shillelagh.html). It used by druids to make their wooden weapons more potent. The other two are Cure Light Wounds and Hold Person. I'm sure you will find a use for this.

Farmerbink
2014-04-22, 06:29 AM
As the viper attempts to flee, Frederick attempts to punish it.

[roll0] AOO
[roll1] CC
[roll2] Damage

Farmerbink
2014-04-22, 06:31 AM
I couldn't help but agree more, Arkiana. Let's check this place out.

He joins Arkiana, finding everything just a few moments after she does.

Albinobrow
2014-04-22, 08:49 AM
Let me have a look at those potions.

It takes a minute each of examining the potions for an alchemist.
Fizzy Blue potion [roll0]
Silvery potion [roll1]

Albinobrow
2014-04-22, 08:54 AM
And now the scroll.

[roll0]

Albinobrow
2014-04-22, 09:07 AM
And finally, the chest you pointed out Arkiana. Where is it again? Appproaching the chest he is sure to study it carefully for any booby traps of any kind before he attempts to open it up.

Perception searching for any traps on the chest. [roll0]
Disable device on any traps if find, if any. [roll1]
Disable devide to open the chest [roll2]
Should either disable device check fail, I will most likely take 20, but my modifier will change to +8 as the mutagen wears off.

MuffinMan
2014-04-22, 09:18 AM
Lyr stares at the scroll blankly for a moment when Arkiana hands it to him. "Wha- uh, I mean, of course I will. Thanks!" While the others are digging through the house, he paces around the living room, keeping an eye on the unconscious Ssayth.

When everyone returns, Lyr leads them all out to the yard just in front of the house. His expression becoming the most serious its been all day, he retrieves a large wooden medallion from a cord hanging beneath his shirt. As he withdraws it the others can see an upturned crescent engraved over a distant horizon - the holy symbol of the god of travel.

Lyr gazes at it for a beat, then closes his eyes as he raises it aloft. "Oh Fharlanghn, you have safeguarded our wanderings and made straight our path this day. Bless this hearth and this company in our temporary reprieve, and guide our steps when the horizon beckons to us once again."

So let it be.

A warm glow bathes the group, knitting up their remaining wounds.

I'll channel enough to heal 6HP total. Doing it outside so as not to heal Ssayth.
Channel 1: [roll0]
Channel 2, if needed: [roll1]
Channel 3, if needed: [roll2] Edit: eh, 5's enough :smallwink:

As the light fades, the Lyr's usual smirk returns and, as he lowers the holy symbol, he unscrews a cleverly concealed mouthpiece and takes a long pull of the brandy inside. With a satisfied sigh, he offers it around to the rest of party.

As they return inside, Lyr nods at Ssayth, who looks like he might be close to coming around. "Alright, what do we do about scaly here? I have a suggestion..."

Farmerbink
2014-04-22, 11:00 AM
Thank you, but no thank you. This is not the time for celebration just yet. There is still that snake to deal with. Politely declining the brandy, Frederick mutters his own prayer to Heironeous before following the rest of the troupe inside.

You know my thoughts. Let him speak if he will, but we cannot allow him to leave this building - certainly not under his own power. I would kill him myself if you all didn't object, for some reason. I will certainly not engage in trying to force him to speak.

JWallyR
2014-04-22, 01:34 PM
Perception check: [roll0]

JWallyR
2014-04-22, 01:51 PM
Janstina's eyes flash a pale silver for just a moment, before she takes the scroll from Olofire.

[roll0]

Huh. That's weird, I can't make it out either!

<time passes while searching happens>

On the way back into the house, Jan tugs on Lyr's sleeve, curious about the contents of the flask. After a sip, her eyes widen and she makes a surprised face. After shaking her head to clear away the sparks, she addresses the issue of Ssayth...
I don't know about what he may know, but I know if we let him go he'll just come back with friends!

DarkOne-Rob
2014-04-22, 03:02 PM
When Ssayth wakes up he does not immidiately move or make any aggressive motion past shaking his head (as one might when trying to clear their head after waking up). Finding himself bound and muzzled with rope he lies still and waits, watching any party members who pass by him silently.

Untarr
2014-04-22, 06:00 PM
[COLOR="#800080"]You know my thoughts. Let him speak if he will, but we cannot allow him to leave this building - certainly not under his own power. I would kill him myself if you all didn't object, for some reason. I will certainly not engage in trying to force him to speak.

So, you are good on killing helpless captives, but torture is too much for ya? What a strange moral compass you have there...

Farmerbink
2014-04-22, 08:28 PM
Frederick almost jumps out of his armor at the sound of that guttural tongue from the wee elf woman!

I had no idea you spoke that language! ...Why? I forget myself. It is really not an odd "moral compass," as you put it, at all. I am bound by a strict set of codes. Nothing about those codes says anything about threatening prisoners who refuse to cooperate when given the chance and attempt to kill you when you let your guard down.

This lizard had his chance to surrender. Instead, he lied to us, made one last attempt to kill me, and then failed to get away. He hardly qualifies as a "helpless captive." Neither does torture qualify in any way as an appropriate, righteous or just course of action. I cannot argue with the results, but I can, and will argue with the method.

Hmmm, I have a suggestion I'd like him to hear.

You there, lizard man. Yes I see your beady eyes following me, good. I have no desire to see you suffer. Likewise, I have no desire to wake up, briefly, as you slit my throat. Here is what I propose. You can tell us what you know of this place and the surrounding areas and I will make your end brief and painless. .... Or, you can resist, I will have my friend with the stick knock you unconscious again, and we can throw you on the back of my cart for the ride back to Diamond Lake. I doubt the garrison captain will be so lenient, when he sees what's left of the poor soul you and your friends devoured. Don't try to pretend you didn't, I grew up around here, I know your kind. We both know what will happen to you there. What say you?

He reaches a gauntleted hand down and roughly pulls the muzzle off Ssayth's face.

I'm not intending to have any of the results of a typical use for the intimidate skill, but I can see this being a very intimidating conversation. Just a thought.