PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Need Reach/Summoner Cleric Advice - Feat Order

jaydubs
2014-05-22, 01:20 AM
I'm trying to put together a cleric that focuses on a longspear and summoning, alongside the usual cleric goodies. I've got a rough idea of what feats I'm going to take, but could use some advice on what order to take them. This is what I have so far.

Human: Improved Initiative
1. Combat Reflexes
3. Power Attack
5. Boon Companion
7. Summon Good Monster
9. Sacred Summons
11. Spell Focus (conj.)
13. Augment Summoning
15. Superior Summons

I'm not really sure what I should prioritize though, or if anything is worth dropping completely. Right now my order is:

A) Improved initiative helps with going first.
B) Combat reflexes and power attack, alongside boon companion give damage and battlefield control without casting spells.
C) Summon Good Monster and Sacred Summons gives a wide variety of standard action summons. Planning neutral good, but could play lawful good. Advice on alignment would also be appreciated.
D) Spell Focus (conjuration), Augment Summoning, and Superior Summons improve summoning spells.

Should some of these be moved up or down in importance? Should any be dropped entirely? We're starting at level 1.

avr
2014-05-22, 01:40 AM
I guess you must have the Animal domain if you're taking Boon Companion? If so IMO you'd want it as your 3rd level feat, your companion will be getting very squishy around 3rd-4th level.

Or not at all. As you've noticed summoning likes extra feats, I might drop either Power Attack or the companion if I was making a summoner. BTW consider an archetype for the companion like Bodyguard or Totem Guide if you keep it.

Sacred Summons might be your first summoning feat as there is a huge difference between 1 round to summon and a standard action to summon. SF/Augment are probably next on the list as they improve all of your summons rather than giving you other options as SGM does. There are plenty of celestial creatures you can summon without SGM.

grarrrg
2014-05-22, 02:15 AM
Looks good enough for now. What are your Archetypes (if any) and Domain(s)?

I guess you must have the Animal domain if you're taking Boon Companion? If so IMO you'd want it as your 3rd level feat, your companion will be getting very squishy around 3rd-4th level.

Animal Domain (or Scalykind) doesn't get a Companion until level 4, so the earliest for Boon Companion would be level 5.

jaydubs
2014-05-22, 02:19 AM
Sacred Summons might be your first summoning feat as there is a huge difference between 1 round to summon and a standard action to summon. SF/Augment are probably next on the list as they improve all of your summons rather than giving you other options as SGM does. There are plenty of celestial creatures you can summon without SGM.

At least from what I've read, celestial creatures don't qualify for sacred summons. Looks like there's all of 3 LG sacred summons, and 3 NG sacred summons available, which is why I was looking at SGM. Subtypes and whatnot.

Evidence to the contrary would make my day though.

Or not at all. As you've noticed summoning likes extra feats, I might drop either Power Attack or the companion if I was making a summoner. BTW consider an archetype for the companion like Bodyguard or Totem Guide if you keep it.

I was considering it actually. Switch to an evangelist, drop feather domain, save taking combat reflexes, power attack and boon companion, and go full summoning/support.

Looks good enough for now. What are your Archetypes (if any) and Domain(s)?

No archetypes as of yet. Feather and heroism.