PDA

View Full Version : Simple Q&A D&D 5 (by RAW) I

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

CyberThread
2014-08-11, 05:11 PM
(This is a fairly high procedure thread; please read the entire instructions carefully before posting. Thanks.)

Ever have a simple, straight-forward rules question that you can’t figure out the answer to? Ask it here. No question is too simple. No more worrying about whether your question is “worth” starting a thread. Ask here and receive an answer. You are, of course, welcome to start a thread for your question, and if you think your question is subject to many interpretations or will start a debate, you are encouraged to start a new thread for it.

This thread will serve as a catch-all for simple, discreet questions that can be answered quickly according to the RAW (Rules As Written). This thread is for all simple RAW questions about D&D 5. If your question is not about the RAW for 5, please look in the appropriate threads in the appropriate forums.

The Procedure:

Do:
Label your questions with bold Q#s.
Label your answers with the bold Q# that you are responding to and/or quote the question.
Be sure that your answer is correct before you post it; if you are the least bit uncertain, just let it pass and get the next one.
Try to give your answers in as clear and straightforward terms as possible.
Feel free to quote or link to relevant rules in the SRD, Errata, or FAQ that supports your answer. (You may want to give your answer and then modify it to add support – otherwise someone else may answer while you’re assembling yours.)
Specify if your question is for a system other than D&D (the default for this thread).

Don’t:
Ask Homebrew rules questions here.
Ask trick questions or attempt to “stump the panel,” so to speak.
Answer a question that’s already been answered.
Offer contradictions, clarifications, exceptions, or extensions of prior answers unless, in your opinion, the answer give is plainly and completely wrong.
Post to debate the answers given.
Post to carry on other conversations whether tangentially related or wholly unrelated.

Dispute Resolution Procedure:
If you dispute someone’s answer – meaning that they got it wrong in a critical fashion – post your answer and suggest that the original questioner start a thread to discuss it further if they want it hashed out.
If someone disputes your answer, don’t respond. Just wait to see if the original questioner starts a new thread to discuss it.
If your question leads to a disputed answer, start a new thread if you’d like it discussed further.

Here are some sample questions. “Bad” questions just mean they should be asked in their own thread where you can get many answers and opinions. “Good” questions just mean that these are the types of questions that are amenable to a quick straightforward answer (probably).

Sample “Bad” Questions:
How do I play D&D? (Great question, but not for this thread.)
What is a good 10 level TWF build? (Far too broad and requires much opinion)
What +2 LA race should I take for my sorcerer build? (Again, an opinion question)
Which is better GURPS or D&D?

Sample “Good” Questions:
Q.1. Are there any Large player races?
Q.2. As a sorcerer/rogue, do I get to add sneak attack damage to my attack spells?
Q.3. What effect would Dispel Magic have on a golem or similar construct?
Q.4. Is there a feat that allows me to get a familiar?

Please start over with the numbering. When this one reached 50 pages, please report it so that we can start a new one. Thanks.

10 chars worth of stuff

T.G. Oskar
2014-08-11, 05:20 PM
A bit early but reasonable, and of a class who has been mentioned little:
Q1: Do the Aura spells (Aura of Life, Aura of Purity and Aura of Vitality), from the Paladin, have their own ranges, or do their ranges increase with the Paladin's 18th level class feature?

Muenster Man
2014-08-11, 05:25 PM
Fighter has been covered a lot, but I don't think I've seen an answer to this yet
Q2 How many maneuvers can a Battle Master fighter get? Is it just one?

Yuki Akuma
2014-08-11, 05:32 PM
A1 The Aura of X spells all have a radius of 30 feet as standard, which doesn't change based on level. This is, incidentally, the radius a Paladin's class aura has at level 18 and above.

A2 Battle Master Fighters learn three maneuvers at level 3, then two more at 7, 10 and 15. So, nine altogether (plus two more if he takes the Martial Adept feat).

Tenmujiin
2014-08-11, 05:45 PM
Q3 Are monks capable of using class features with weapons (a short sword/staff/pole-arm for example) instead of unarmed attacks?

Chambers
2014-08-11, 10:10 PM
A3 Monks can use their Martial Arts class feature with unarmed strikes and monk weapons, "which are shortswords and any simple melee weapons that don't have the two-handed or heavy property."

Jenckes
2014-08-12, 05:15 PM
Q4: Can the archery fighting style apply to thrown weapons? My reading is mostly no, with a side of maybe.

Q5: In the animate dead spell description does, "On each of your turns, you can use a bonus action to mentally command any creature you made with this spell if the creature is within 60 feet of you (if you control multiple creatures, you can command any or all of the at the same time, issuing the same command to each one)." Refer to multiple creatures created by that one casting of animate dead, or all possible castings of animate dead?

HorridElemental
2014-08-12, 08:38 PM
Q4: Can the archery fighting style apply to thrown weapons? My reading is mostly no, with a side of maybe.

A4: Yes they count as ranged weapons. Mike Mearls confirmed this.

Jenckes
2014-08-12, 09:11 PM
A4: Yes they count as ranged weapons. Mike Mearls confirmed this.

Could you link me to that?

Also, Q6: In order to use a staff or wand that casts a spell, do you need to have any spell-casting ability or known spells?

I guess the followup to that question is does the lvl 13 thief ability grant anything other than the ability to use any scroll?

1of3
2014-08-13, 02:00 AM
A6: Nothing indicates requirements for wands and staffs. As opposed to the very specific wording for scrolls. So, Fighter Joe can swing them wands.

HorridElemental
2014-08-13, 06:04 AM
Could you link me to that?

Nope. You can go check his twitter feed though, it was tweeted out a while ago.

You can also TWF with thrown weapons for what it's worth.

Fable Wright
2014-08-15, 02:05 AM
Q7: I think it was meant to be intuitive, but I can't find a definitive rules citation in the PHB. Does being restrained prevent you from casting spells with somatic components?

Totema
2014-08-15, 02:56 AM
A7: It sure doesn't look like it. The only requirement for casting spells with somatic components is a free hand, and the restrained condition only drop's a creature's speed and affects advantage/disadvantage. Casters can wave their hands all they like, apparently.

Seppo87
2014-08-15, 03:17 AM
Q8: is 20 the best AC possible now?

Yuki Akuma
2014-08-15, 03:41 AM
A8 No - an unarmoured level 20 Barbarian with a shield and 20s in both Dexterity and Constitution has an AC of 22 normally and 24 while raging.

+1 Plate plus a shield gives you an AC of 21. We don't know if magic armour goes higher than +1 yet.

Jenckes
2014-08-15, 08:03 AM
A8 No - an unarmoured level 20 Barbarian with a shield and 20s in both Dexterity and Constitution has an AC of 22 normally and 24 while raging.

+1 Plate plus a shield gives you an AC of 21. We don't know if magic armour goes higher than +1 yet.

How does a Barbarian get 24 while raging? A barbarian no longer gets +4 Str/Con while raging.

Also, Defensive fighting style, plate armor, +shield, gives you 21 without magic armor. But if we're talking magic items there are Bracers of Defense that grant +3 armor while you wear no armor and aren't using a shield (hoard of the dragon queen supplement item). So a Monk with max Dex/Wis or a Barbarian with max Dex/Con would have AC 23.

On a side note, a wizard with at-will spells (lvl 18) may cast shield every round AC matters for him bumping a standard wizard with max dex to AC 23, and a heavy armor shield wizard up to 25.

Yuki Akuma
2014-08-15, 09:07 AM
How does a Barbarian get 24 while raging? A barbarian no longer gets +4 Str/Con while raging.

Please read the class description. Specifically the level 20 ability, Primal Champion.

But yeah, there's plenty of ways to go higher than 20 AC.

Jenckes
2014-08-15, 01:18 PM
Please read the class description. Specifically the level 20 ability, Primal Champion.

Oh man, you just turned the snark up to eleven. I guess I'll go back and re-read that ability I already know.

Okay, I read it again. The barbarian's constitution and strength still don't increase during rage. There is nothing about that in Primal Champion. They simply get +4 to Strength and Constitution and have their caps increased. So a level 20 barbarian with 20 dex and con with a shield would have 22 AC. The same barbarian in a rage would also have 22 AC.

Yuki Akuma
2014-08-15, 01:23 PM
Oh man, you just turned the snark up to eleven. I guess I'll go back and re-read that ability I already know.

Okay, I read it again. The barbarian's constitution and strength still don't increase during rage. There is nothing about that in Primal Champion. They simply get +4 to Strength and Constitution and have their caps increased. So a level 20 barbarian with 20 dex and con with a shield would have 22 AC. The same barbarian in a rage would also have 22 AC.

Well damn

:smallredface:

Well I'm officially a moron

Jenckes
2014-08-15, 01:32 PM
We all have our days. I incorrectly calculated max skeleton count at least twice.

Totema
2014-08-15, 07:17 PM
Let me just say here, grats on the sticky :smallsmile:

Zeuel
2014-08-16, 02:29 AM
Q9: So if a weapon with the Two-Handed property "requires two hands to use" does that mean my Eldritch Knight can still cast spells with somatic components while carrying a Two-Handed weapon since I'm not technically using the weapon when I'm casting the spell?

rlc
2014-08-16, 06:27 AM
Fighter has been covered a lot, but I don't think I've seen an answer to this yet
Q2 How many maneuvers can a Battle Master fighter get? Is it just one?

i believe it's 9.

Q10. Does a monk benefit from taking Tavern Brawler, or can he already grapple as a bonus action?

Yuki Akuma
2014-08-16, 06:33 AM
A10: A Monk may make an unarmed strike as a bonus action whenever he attacks with an unarmed strike or a monk weapon. Grappling requires a special melee attack, rather than an unarmed strike, so I'd say a Monk does gain the benefit of the bonus action grapples from Tavern Brawler, as he doesn't appear to be able to do that normally.

Of course, the most important thing about Tavern Brawler for Monks is that it turns you into Jackie Chan.

Chronos Flame
2014-08-17, 02:46 AM
Q11: Has there been any announcement if (I assume yes) and more importantly when and where there will be more power sources for Sorcerer than just dragon and wild?

Raendyn
2014-08-17, 03:06 AM
I had a little dispute about active search with my party rogue.

Apparently, he and half my group understand "actively searching" as "you use your action to search" while i see it more like "i know/suspect someone is hidden around here, so I roll to spot him for free" and that passive perception is like something you see while you are playing card of smth.

So, after a small debate and given that the rogue class ability which gives you a free action to hide, makes you practicly an Invisible blade at level 2, we all agreed to take it my way. Despite all these, I wanna know how you interpret this.

So,
Q12

Must you consume an action to "actively search" or not?

Flipz
2014-08-17, 03:54 PM
Q13
Is there anything preventing a Dragonborn from being a Sorcerer with the Draconic Bloodline origin?

Q14
If not, is there anything preventing them from having two different elemental affinities? (I already know the logical justification, I just wanted to make sure it works according to RAW and RAI.)

Totema
2014-08-17, 04:03 PM
A13: Nope, none at all. Racial abilities have no bearing whatsoever on the core base classes.
A14: Again, there's no restriction on this. (But personally, as GM fiat I would forbid it, but we are talking about RAW here so that doesn't count)

da_chicken
2014-08-17, 08:09 PM
Q9: So if a weapon with the Two-Handed property "requires two hands to use" does that mean my Eldritch Knight can still cast spells with somatic components while carrying a Two-Handed weapon since I'm not technically using the weapon when I'm casting the spell?

A9: This is entirely up to the DM. Personally, I would have no problem with it. Note, however, that it's legal to drop the weapon, cast the spell, then retrieve it from the ground as part of your movement.

Totema
2014-08-17, 08:51 PM
A9: This is entirely up to the DM. Personally, I would have no problem with it. Note, however, that it's legal to drop the weapon, cast the spell, then retrieve it from the ground as part of your movement.

I'm not inclined to agree here; the PHB is pretty explicit about a hand being free for somatic components for spells, and wielding a weapon puts a kibosh on that. Of course you could take the War Caster feat to circumvent that, and I believe the option of dropping the weapon to cast is also viable.

some guy
2014-08-18, 06:08 AM
Q15
Does Portent from the Divination School (Wizard 2) replace both rolls from advantage/disadvantage or only one?

Yuki Akuma
2014-08-18, 06:16 AM
A15 From the looks of the wording, the Portent roll replaces the entire check.

With Disadvantage, this is sometimes better than simply replacing one die. With Advantage, there's no appreciable difference.

some guy
2014-08-18, 06:49 AM
A15 From the looks of the wording, the Portent roll replaces the entire check.

With Disadvantage, this is sometimes better than simply replacing one die. With Advantage, there's no appreciable difference.

Thanks! Initially I thought so as well, but seeing how the halfling's Lucky trait works with advantage and disadvantage (at pg. 173) I wasn't so sure anymore.

Chen
2014-08-18, 07:30 AM
Q16
Do you get special attack modes (pounce/rake) when you wildshape into a creature with them? What about other special abilities (blindsense) a creature might have? The paragraph specifically says you don't get YOUR extra sensory modes unless the creature also has it, which seems to either imply you both need the mode to get it, or that you just get all the creatures sensory modes.

Socko525
2014-08-18, 10:31 AM
Q17-in reference to Q9, what about a shield? I'm assuming it's the same as a weapon, but I cant remember if the shields are strapped to the arm or not.

Q18-has there been any talks about feats or some way to increase a ranger beastmaster line? Right now it doesn't seem worth taking other than for flavor or RP reasons-Hunter just seems like a better call mechanically.

Q19-for the knight variant of the noble background, are there rules/information out there for calculating thr stats of your retainers?

Thanks in advance!

Riston
2014-08-18, 11:42 AM
Q 20 If I drop a creature to 0 hp and remaining damage is greater than its hp maximum, can I choose to knock the creature out instead of killing it?

Tenmujiin
2014-08-18, 12:07 PM
A9/A17: from my understanding of the spellcasting/twohanding rules you can hold your 2h weapon with one hand while casting, you only need two hands to attack with it. As for the shield, No you can't cast spells with a shield and weapon without the war-caster feat

pso_zeldaphreak
2014-08-18, 01:05 PM
Q21: Can a monk use the charged abilities in either magic staff found in the Lost Mines of Phandelver adventure? The section about attunement is confusing me.

Yuki Akuma
2014-08-18, 01:16 PM
A21 You can only cast the spells stored in a staff if you have the spell on your class spell list. Monks don't have a spell list, so they can't use them. A Monk can still attune to them, which is done as part of a short rest, to gain the poison damage or bonus to AC.

Grynning
2014-08-18, 01:39 PM
A12: Outside of combat, perception checks are ambiguous on how much time they take, but you do have to specify you are searching a specific place to find something hidden. See the sidebar at the top of page 178. Passive perception is not rolled, it is used to see if you notice something (like a stealthing rogue in the area) but it may not pinpoint the location of something if you can't see it.
In combat, Searching is an action, see page 193.

A18: Question is outside the restrictions of this thread, but as far as I know, no.

A19: There are not as yet, but page 159 covers hirelings to a degree; you and your DM will need to work out exactly what your retainers can do with that as a guideline. I imagine once the Monster Manual is released there will be stats for commoners. They do not go into any combat situations for you so their actual stats are largely irrelevant.
Edit: I suppose we could easily generate a commoner using what we have. 6 HP, all stats 10 before racials, proficient in Animal Handling, Survival, one set of artisan's tools, and vehicles (land). This is based on the folk hero background (which was called commoner in the playtest). You could make other NPC hirelings by giving them the proficiencies of a different background easily enough (acolyte for a priest, entertainer for a minstrel, etc).

A20: Yes. This is covered on page 198 under knocking a creature out. Right above it there is a section on "Monsters and Death" that says monsters drop instantly at 0 HP; this implies that they also do not worry about the death from massive damage rule since they would be dead anyways.

Grynning
2014-08-18, 02:03 PM
A16: I believe so, yes. Wild Shape replaces your game statistics with that of the creature, with the exceptions being only those that are called out in the Wild Shape entry. So you basically use the creature's monster entry except for the mental ability scores and the proficiencies noted. The senses thing only notes you can't use senses the creature doesn't have, but it is not stated anywhere that you don't gain its senses.

Dralnu
2014-08-18, 05:06 PM
Q22: Does an unarmored Barbarian with Mage Armor cast on him still benefit from his Unarmored Defense feature?

Edge of Dreams
2014-08-18, 05:10 PM
Q22: Does an unarmored Barbarian with Mage Armor cast on him still benefit from his Unarmored Defense feature?

A22: I would rule that he can benefit from one or the other. Each one says "Your AC becomes" or "is" and then the formula. So you can choose whichever formula is more beneficial, but not use both. This is distinct from older editions that worded things as "Add blah blah blah to your AC".

Totema
2014-08-18, 05:10 PM
A22: No, because the spell doesn't add a bonus to AC. Instead it forces the AC to become a new value. Unless the barbarian had a negative Con bonus he would be better off without the spell.

Edit: Ninja'd...kinda, except we're talking RAW, not RAI or DM fiat.

bulbaquil
2014-08-18, 07:34 PM
Q23: Does arcane lock work on manacles and similar items?

Foodle
2014-08-18, 10:25 PM
Q24: Can you dual wield two lances while mounted?

Totema
2014-08-18, 10:30 PM
A24: Uh... huh. Yeah you can actually, since you only need one hand to wield them while mounted. Kickass. I now have a new character concept to try out.

Grynning
2014-08-18, 10:48 PM
A23: With the spell precisely as written, no. The target is "a closed door, window, gate, chest, or other entryway." Manacles would not be included. Of course, the DM can houserule that, but that's true of any of the answers here.

Correction A24: Only if you have the Dual Wielder feat. Lances are not light and therefore cannot be used for two-weapon fighting by default.

Totema
2014-08-19, 12:25 AM
Nice catch, I forgot that they normally have to be light.

Socko525
2014-08-19, 06:42 AM
Q25 if a paladin buys barding, saddlebags, etc for a mount he summons with Find Steed, and the mount is dismissed or killed, what happens to the barding, saddlebags, etc?

Grynning
2014-08-19, 09:07 AM
A25: There is no RAW ruling for this question, as the book simply does not say. However, since you summon the same creature each time, I would rule that the equipment would disappear and reappear with the mount (essentially, it gets sent to the creature's home plane along with it). Other DM's might rule that the stuff simply falls to the ground and you have to put it back on the mount when it comes back. Also note that there are currently no game statistics for any kind of barding.

Socko525
2014-08-19, 10:05 AM
A25: Also note that there are currently no game statistics for any kind of barding.

There's barding info on page 155. Any type of armor on the armor table can be purchased as barding, it just costs 4 times as much and weighs double.

HorridElemental
2014-08-19, 10:54 AM

To add to the other answers, Mike Mearles had a comment recently about this sort of thing.

Monks or Barbarians wearing Bracers of Armor don't stack their unarmored defense and the bracers because the AC comes from two different sources. I would suspect that it would work with spells too.

Essentially AC bonuses from different sources do not stack, except if you have a shield equipped (so gamers heads don't explode).

T.G. Oskar
2014-08-20, 10:41 AM
Q26

How many times can a Paladin use its Channel Divinity class feature from its Sacred Oaths? The class list mentions no progression, and Channel Divinity seems to work like a pool.

GAA
2014-08-20, 02:27 PM
Q26

How many times can a Paladin use its Channel Divinity class feature from its Sacred Oaths? The class list mentions no progression, and Channel Divinity seems to work like a pool.

A26 They have to take a short or long rest before using it again.

Socko525
2014-08-20, 03:18 PM
A26 They have to take a short or long rest before using it again.

So to clarify, just the once.

I'm hopeful for some way to raise this in the future through items or something, although that has the potential to cause problems with Clerics having too many uses.

GAA
2014-08-20, 09:50 PM
So to clarify, just the once.

I'm hopeful for some way to raise this in the future through items or something, although that has the potential to cause problems with Clerics having too many uses.

I don't have my book on me because I lent it to someone else, That's specifically for paladin(can't say for sure anything on cleric because I havn't read up on it). But as long as you take a short rest(1 hour) you can cast it again. So 19 times a day at most, assuming 15 minute encounters always coming up exactly after you've rested 1 hour. The only requirement based on what I said for paladins seems to be they need to rest before recasting.

Scirocco
2014-08-20, 11:08 PM
Q27: Is it reasonable to use Thieves' Cant to disguise the verbal component of a spell?

Grynning
2014-08-21, 12:11 AM
A27: I believe no. Anything you say in Thieves' Cant takes 4 times as long as to say normally because you are seemingly talking about innocuous things, which would mess up the "rhythm" of the verbal component and disrupt it. Verbal components are also supposed to be fairly obvious; it's hard to work "magic words" into casual conversation. As it says on page 203, "The words themselves aren't the source of the spell's power; rather, the particular combination of sounds, with specific pitch and resonance, sets the threads of magic in motion." This implies that you have to make the sounds in perfect order or it doesn't work.

Totema
2014-08-21, 12:14 AM
A27: Not really sure if this is a question for RAW, but my take on it is that Thieves' Cant isn't really a discrete spoken language, but really a combination of code words, hand signals, visual symbols, etc, so I wouldn't consider it reasonable for disguising verbal parts of spells. (Also, I wasn't aware before that speaking in different languages might impede the identification of spells in the first place. Has there been a precedent for that before? Hmm.)

Edit: Ninja'd again, Grynning explained it nicely. But I'm still curious about casting spells in other languages, so I'll move it to another thread.

Kouta
2014-08-21, 01:21 AM
Q28 Might be a silly question, but when there's a pre-req of your level on warlock invocations, does it mean your levels of warlock or your total levels? I'd guess it would be on warlock levels but I'm not sure.

1of3
2014-08-21, 02:42 AM
A29: No one knows. There has been discussion about this on this channel.

Inevitability
2014-08-21, 03:55 AM
Q30 Does the Duelist fighting style apply to thrown weapons?

I am talking about this: Fighter wields a shield and javelin. Fighter throws javelin. Does the thrown javelin gain the +2 damage bonus?

Grynning
2014-08-21, 07:45 AM
Point of order: Numbering is now off. I believe 1of3 was answering Q28 in their post, making Dire_Stirge's question Q29. Next question, please number your question as 30

A29: No. Duelist specifically applies to melee weapons, so while you are stabbing something in melee with the javelin, you get the bonus, but you do not when you throw it (wielding =/= throwing). Again, this is by RAW; it would not be by any means overpowered to grant the bonus to thrown weapons if the DM wanted to allow it.

genderlich
2014-08-21, 10:16 PM
Q30

Does the advantage on Strength or Dexterity checks granted by the Enhance Ability spell apply to attack rolls with the appropriate ability? Does the advantage on all the checks apply to saving throws of the appropriate ability?

Grynning
2014-08-21, 10:32 PM
A30: No. Attack rolls and saving throws are distinct from ability checks in this edition. Contrast with abilities and spells that state "advantage on attack rolls using Strength," or "advantage on Dexterity saving throws," for example.

MustacheFart
2014-08-22, 12:57 AM
Q31: The Barbarian's rage features state you get bonus damage when making an attack with strength. Their Reckless rage says you get advantage when making an attack with strength as well. The monk's martial arts feature states he can replace dex with strength on unarmed or monk weapon attacks. If I multiclass Barbarian / Monk can I get the aforementioned Barbarian benefits using dex instead of str?

Grynning
2014-08-22, 01:09 AM
A31: I would have to say no (hate to rain on the parade, I was just reading the other thread where you're talking about this build). If you are replacing Strength with Dex for the roll, you are not making an attack roll using Strength. I would note, however, that monks do not *have* to be purely Dex based. They can still use Strength for their unarmed attacks and monk weapon attacks if they wish.

The J Pizzel
2014-08-22, 02:52 PM
Q32 Does the penalty/buff from Bane/Bless apply throughout the duration as long as your concentrating? Or to just the first roll they make and that's it?

Twelvetrees
2014-08-22, 03:22 PM
A32: It lasts for the entire duration, as long as you keep your concentration.

jkat718
2014-08-23, 08:36 PM
Q33: This is probably just a case of me not seeing something right in front of me here, but I don't see any rules on multiclassing into subclasses of a class you already are. I'm assuming it's not allowed, but would it be possible to have, for example, a Champion X/Battle Master X?

Dracothius
2014-08-24, 05:52 AM
Q34 How does charmed and (other conditions) work exactly? Some conditions seem to have more effects stated in areas then others. For instance Dominate beast vs Awaken. Dominate states you charm and then can control the beast where awaken states you charm it without expanding on that. If awaken simply gives you advantage on social interaction and the creature can't attack you(what charmed is in back of book) what's the point of a 30 day limit? Or for that matter a 5th level slot? If you can't control it, what do you do? Sorry, I think I broke into two questions there. We'll call that a sub-question.

Yuki Akuma
2014-08-24, 06:38 AM
A33: The rules say you can gain levels in "multiple classes" and that you can gain a level "in a new class". Battlemaster and Champion aren't different classes - they're both options in the Fighter class. So no, you can't be a Battlemaster and a Champion at the same time.

A34: The Charmed condition makes the charmee unable to attack the charmer, and gives the charmer advantage on social rolls against the charmee. Spells that inflict the condition also do additional things, but that's part of the spell, not the Charmed condition.

Being charmed lets you ask the Awakened beast nicely to do something for you, and since you have advantage, it most likely will. If you're nice to it, it'll still be your friend after the month is up, but isn't magically compelled to be any more.

Gnaeus
2014-08-24, 09:54 AM
Q35 Is a tool proficiency a skill? Can a Bard or Half Elf learn Thieves Tools with one of his open skills.

Yuki Akuma
2014-08-24, 09:56 AM
A35: No, tool proficiencies aren't skills. Which is why they're not listed under 'skills' in class and background proficiency lists.

Notice, for example, how the Skilled feat feels the need to say "You gain proficiency in any combination of three skills or tools of your choice", instead of just saying skills.

MinaBee
2014-08-24, 12:44 PM
Q36: If my understanding is correct, during character creation, when your background grants a proficiency that you already have (from a race or class), you are allowed to instead select any proficiency of the same type.

What happens when a class feature grants you a proficiency that you already have? (Example: When my Entertainer Rogue becomes an Assassin at third level, the Assassin sub-class grants her Proficiency with a Disguise Kit, which she already has due to her background. Am I allowed to select a different kind of tool proficiency instead?)

pwykersotz
2014-08-24, 01:08 PM
Q37: Are there any rules for running at all? The best I can find is Dash, but that limits average adventurer speed to 6.8mph which is very slow.

Socko525
2014-08-24, 01:09 PM
Q37 From what I saw there's no disadvantage to sleeping in heavy as there was in 3/3.5 correct? So basically I could don my armor once, and then just remain in it and not have to ever take it off?

Curious as this might influence my to go Acolyte over Knight variant Noble (don't need that squire/retainers to help you don armor if you can always wear it)

jkat718
2014-08-24, 04:04 PM
Q36: If my understanding is correct, during character creation, when your background grants a proficiency that you already have (from a race or class), you are allowed to instead select any proficiency of the same type.

What happens when a class feature grants you a proficiency that you already have? (Example: When my Entertainer Rogue becomes an Assassin at third level, the Assassin sub-class grants her Proficiency with a Disguise Kit, which she already has due to her background. Am I allowed to select a different kind of tool proficiency instead?)

A36: To quote the PHB (page 125), "if a character would gain the same proficiency from two different sources, he or she can choose a different proficiency of the same kind (skill or tool) instead." I would take that to mean yes, you may swap out a redundant proficiency at any point, not just during character creation. However, that excerpt is from the Backgrounds section, so I may be wrong.

Q37: Are there any rules for running at all? The best I can find is Dash, but that limits average adventurer speed to 6.8mph which is very slow.

A37: As far as I can see, the closest thing we have in terms of running outside of combat is a fast pace, which doesn't seem particularly useful for general ruling. "Every character and monster has a speed, which is the distance in feet that the character or monster can walk in 1 round. This number assumes short bursts of energetic movement in the midst of a life-threatening situation." (PHB, p. 181) From this, I would assume that there are no rules on running, other than the aforementioned Dash action which, I agree, is underwhelming. However, this does fit with the goal of 5e being more "streamlined," in that there are less options for movement. Interestingly, the PHB does specify that this is a walking speed, not a general movement speed, so there may be rules in the DMG for running (although that would be a strange place to put them).

Q37 From what I saw there's no disadvantage to sleeping in heavy as there was in 3/3.5 correct? So basically I could don my armor once, and then just remain in it and not have to ever take it off?

Curious as this might influence my to go Acolyte over Knight variant Noble (don't need that squire/retainers to help you don armor if you can always wear it)

A38: I didn't realize that....I guess there isn't any reason for you to doff anymore. In my own games, I would rule that you can't rest in armor that you aren't proficient with (or maybe just prevent Hit Dice recovery), but that's just me. Preventing HD regen is a pretty large impediment, because most don times can last as long as an entire battle, so maybe I'd just nerf it instead of outright removing it. In any case, RAW, there appears to be no reason to doff at any time. Also, the Retainer feature is not exclusive to the Knight, it's just a variant to the Noble that is improved by also using the Knight variant. There are, however, many upsides to the Retainer feature, particularly in crafting. The ability to add three helpers (assuming proficiency with the relevant tools) to your Crafting is huge, especially because they can continue Crafting while you are adventuring.

Lokiare
2014-08-25, 01:16 AM
Q39 Have they detailed the DMG information to provide a tactical game experience for 4E fans and if so what have they detailed (links please)?

Dracothius
2014-08-25, 01:39 AM
Q40 So unless I'm missing something, the Wizard can take the proficiency to gain light, then medium, then heavy armor with no penalties to his spell casting right?

jkat718
2014-08-25, 02:08 AM
Q39 Have they detailed the DMG information to provide a tactical game experience for 4E fans and if so what have they detailed (links please)?

A39: I'm not sure what you mean by "tactical experience." If you mean grid system vs. TotM, the 5e does support the grid system, it's just not reliant on it. If you want to look at the DMG information that is currently available, you can find the Basic DMG pdf here (media.wizards.com/2014/downloads/dnd/DMDnDBasicRules_v0.1_PrinterFriendly.pdf).

Q40 So unless I'm missing something, the Wizard can take the proficiency to gain light, then medium, then heavy armor with no penalties to his spell casting right?

A40: AFAIK, yes. Of course, you also lose the theoretical +6 to any ability, which would assumedly be your spellcasting ability first. You would also need to wait until 4th, 8th, and 12th levels to get Light, Medium, and Heavy Armor proficiencies, respectively (or lower, if you get those proficiencies from your race or background, or if you're a feat-variant Human).

Dayman
2014-08-25, 02:37 AM
Q41: When it says Hit Dice: 1d10 per Ranger level, does that mean at level 2, I roll 2d10 + Con modifier for what HP I gain to my total HP maximum?
Ex:
Level 1, I have 12 HP (2 from Con modifier).
Level 2, I roll 2d10+2 = 11 (7+2+2), so 11+12 from level 1 = 23 total HP? Or is it I roll 1d10+2 = 7+2 = 9+12 = 21?
Sorry for the potential hilariously dumb question, I'm brand new to tabletop gaming.

troqdor1316
2014-08-25, 04:36 AM
A41 The second method is correct.

troqdor1316
2014-08-25, 04:38 AM
Q42 So wait...Re: Q40, can I take my first level as a fighter and immediately multiclass into wizard for my second level, thus allowing me to be a wizard with the ability to cast entirely unhindered in plate mail while carrying a shield from then on out?

...That seems a bit

Yuki Akuma
2014-08-25, 06:32 AM
A42: Yes.

You won't be able to afford plate mail at level 2, though.

TomPliss
2014-08-25, 07:05 AM
Q43: Is non-feat two weapon fighting optimized when using scimitars ?
It seems to me that even fighters (but I am building a ranger currently) can't use even one non-light weapon when using two weapons fighting.
[EDIT] oh, there seem to be hand-axes for Strength-oriented two weapons fighting, after all. Didn't see them in the other table ^^"

Vhaluus
2014-08-25, 08:05 AM
Q44: Is the level scaling of Eldritch blast based on character level rather than warlock level? So with a 1 level warlock dip or the magic initiate feat selecting warlock you can get the full scaling Eldritch blast?

Grynning
2014-08-25, 09:14 AM
A43: This thread is for rules questions only, not optimization. However, weapons with the finesse quality can still use Strength for the attack and damage rolls, they just have the option of using Dex instead, since I think that was your main question. You are also correct that you can only two-weapon fight if both weapons are light unless you take the Dual Wielder feat.

A44: It is character level. Cantrips scale up the same regardless of how you gained them.

Fable Wright
2014-08-25, 12:32 PM
Q45
Is there anything preventing an Eldritch Knight from using his Weapon Bond ability on an Improvised Weapon?

Grynning
2014-08-25, 12:37 PM
A45: Improvised weapons are not technically weapons (they are objects temporarily being used as such), so by a strict reading, no, you can't. Weapons are only the things on the chart on page 149. However, if you had the Tavern Brawler feat or something, I could see it being allowed, as long as it had similar stats to a martial or simple weapon.

1of3
2014-08-25, 03:43 PM
A45: A weapon is thing to hit and poke with. There is no reason why it wouldn't work on improvised weapons.

pso_zeldaphreak
2014-08-25, 05:07 PM
Q46 Does a Way of Shadow monk have verbal and somatic components for his Shadow Arts spells?

Twelvetrees
2014-08-25, 09:47 PM
Q46 Does a Way of Shadow monk have verbal and somatic components for his Shadow Arts spells?
A46: That does appear to be the case. Only thing it says is that material components aren't needed.

ambartanen
2014-08-26, 06:33 AM
Q47 Is there a well organized (or ideally searchable and/or sortable) listing of spells? I am thinking of taking the Book of Ancient Secrets warlock invocation but the inconvenience of hunting down all the first level ritual spells in the PHB is probably enough to make me give up on the idea.

Yuki Akuma
2014-08-26, 06:39 AM
A47: This question doesn't really belong here, but yes (http://salty-ridge-7989.herokuapp.com/).

We should get this stickied or something.

TomPliss
2014-08-26, 07:26 AM
A47: I personally prefer the XLS file : http://mouseferatu.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Aris-5E-Spell-Sorter-v1.2.xls
In open office, it lets you select multiple things from a column (spell level 0 1 and 2, for example, when you're creating a level 3 spellcaster).

cobaltstarfire
2014-08-26, 01:57 PM
Q 48: If you have a negative Dex modifier do you still add it to AC in medium armor?

(ex you have -1 dex, but are wearing Scale Mail (AC=14+dex) is your AC 14 or 13?)

Edge of Dreams
2014-08-26, 02:19 PM
Q 48: If you have a negative Dex modifier do you still add it to AC in medium armor?

(ex you have -1 dex, but are wearing Scale Mail (AC=14+dex) is your AC 14 or 13?)

A48: Yes. The only time a negative dex modifier doesn't apply to AC is in Heavy Armor.

Dayman
2014-08-26, 04:08 PM
Q49: So the PHB/rules state that wizards and clerics can use an arcane focus/holy symbol for their spells. The word here being can. Does this mean without those items, those classes can't cast spells?

ambartanen
2014-08-26, 05:03 PM
A49: The arcane/divine focus or spell component pouch replace material components so long as the components don't have a value provided in the spell description.

Casting some spells requires particular objects, specified in parentheses in the component entry. A character can use a component pouch or a spellcasting focus... in place of the components specified for a spell. But if a cost is indicated for a component, a character must have this component before he or she can cast the spell.

Dayman
2014-08-26, 05:58 PM
A49: The arcane/divine focus or spell component pouch replace material components so long as the components don't have a value provided in the spell description.

Q50:
So as long as the spell's material section doesn't say "which the spell consumes," you can just use the focus/holy symbol every time?

ambartanen
2014-08-26, 06:12 PM
Q50:
So as long as the spell's material section doesn't say "which the spell consumes," you can just use the focus/holy symbol every time?

A50: 5e merges both costly material components and focuses from 3.5e under the materials tab. You need to provide the component either way but if it is consumed you have to buy a new one next time. If it isn't consumed, you can reuse it.

For example, True Seeing requires 25 gp worth of components that get consumed with the casting. They cannot be replaced by an arcane focus and you need to obtain new ones for each casting. Scrying requires a 1000gp reflective surface as a material component but it does not get consumed with the casting. You cannot replace it with an arcane focus but once you get a mirror, you can cast scrying with it as many times as you want.

Kerilstrasz
2014-08-27, 05:44 AM
Assume for whatever reason a character steps on caltrops and after moving 5feet (or before the 1st caltrops effect ends) steps again on caltrops. (both times failing the save)
Q51: Will the 2 same effects stack???

ambartanen
2014-08-27, 06:56 AM
A51: Seems that the movement penalties do stack by RAW. Someone didn't get the memo about avoiding additive bonuses in this edition. I suppose the second patch gets a caltrop stuck in your other foot as well and you can barely move now.

ambartanen
2014-08-27, 08:54 AM
Q52: Does the Enhance Ability spell give advantage on attack rolls with the associated attribute? How about on saves? Skill and instrument checks?

Q53: When casting Enhance Ability on multiple creatures, can you enhance different abilities for the different targets?

Kaiu Keiichi
2014-08-27, 09:15 AM
Q54: If a Monk takes the Weapon Mastery feat, do the 4 selected weapons count as Monk Weapons for the purpose of various Monk abilities?

As you can see, I'm trying to come as close as I can to reproducing the AD&D 1 Oriental Adventures Kensai, by using this and the Martial Adept feat ;)

EvilAnagram
2014-08-27, 09:23 AM
A52: Chapter 7: Using Ability Scores in the PHB clearly differentiates between attack rolls and ability checks under both Strength and Dexterity. Same with saving throws, so no.

A53: It's not entirely clear. It doesn't specify that you can, and it says, "Choose one of the following effects," so I would say no.

EvilAnagram
2014-08-27, 09:26 AM
A54: No. The PHB specifically defines what monk weapons are. Shortswords and simple melee weapons that don't have the two-handed or heavy property are all you get. You can style them as anything that fits, but you can't just pick anything you have proficiency with.

person29
2014-08-27, 12:18 PM
Q55: Can a monk use a versatile weapon, on the list of monk weapons, (for example a spear) in two hands and still use his dex instead of str if he so chooses?

EvilAnagram
2014-08-27, 12:27 PM
A55: Yes, he or she can.

Kaiu Keiichi
2014-08-27, 01:06 PM
A54: No. The PHB specifically defines what monk weapons are. Shortswords and simple melee weapons that don't have the two-handed or heavy property are all you get. You can style them as anything that fits, but you can't just pick anything you have proficiency with.

Has their been any explanation as to why this is, aside from "reasons"? If a character picks a feat, then the feat should include the expanded capablities that go with what the feat gives you. I believe you, I just find it grating that I have to go into multi-classing to get my Kensai I've been waiting for years for. Can you get me a direct page quote?

Also, I don't know if 5E specifically permits reskinning weapons.

EvilAnagram
2014-08-27, 01:34 PM
Has their been any explanation as to why this is, aside from "reasons"? If a character picks a feat, then the feat should include the expanded capablities that go with what the feat gives you. I believe you, I just find it grating that I have to go into multi-classing to get my Kensai I've been waiting for years for. Can you get me a direct page quote?
Page 78, first paragraph under Martial Arts:

At 1st level, your practice of martial arts gives you mastery of combat styles that use unarmed strikes and monk weapons, which are shortswords and any simple melee weapons that don't have the two-handed or heavy property.
Any questions?

Also, I don't know if 5E specifically permits reskinning weapons.
That same section explicitly states that you can do exactly that so long as you use the stats in the PHB for your reskinned weapons. The examples it gives are using club stats for a nunchaku and sickle stats for a kama.

EDIT: Also, this is a Simple Q&A thread. If you want to have a more complex discussion on monk options, start another thread.

Foodle
2014-08-27, 07:17 PM
Q56: As a druid, are you considered to be wearing armor (items merge with your shape) while shapeshifted? ie. Multiclassed with the defense fighting style (+1 AC while wearing armor), or the heavy armor master feat (DR).

Q57: If the above is not the case, then do you benefit from either of the Unarmored Defense type features (Monk/Barb) while druid shapeshifted?

Jake
2014-08-27, 10:42 PM
Q58 - How does a DM assign a challenge rating to an NPC villain?

CyberThread
2014-08-28, 12:39 AM
Q59 Can Bards Songs be used as a bonus action or a reaction?

Foodle
2014-08-28, 03:27 AM
A59: By Bard Song, i assume you mean the bard abilities that use Inspiration Dice. And various types can be used in different ways. Bardic Inspiration is a Bonus Action. Cutting Words (College of Lore) is a Reaction.
If instead you meant Song of Rest, then that can only be used during a Short Rest.

ambartanen
2014-08-28, 03:37 AM
A56:
You choose whether your equipment falls to the ground in your space, merges into your new form, or is worn by it. Worn equipment functions as normal...
... but it seems beasts, at least the vast majority of them, would not be able to use humanoid armor or weapons. So, no, you do not get to keep your armor.

Many, many beasts however have the "natural armor" tag next to their AC. The DM needs to decide whether that counts as being armored.

A57:
You retain the benefit of any features ... and can use them if you new form is physically capable of doing so.
Seems like you do keep Unarmored Defense so long as you are unarmored. Naturally armored beasts might count as armored, however, and thus not allow you to use this ability.

Ursus the Grim
2014-08-28, 07:12 PM
Q60: Wild Shape says you retain the benefit of any features. How about feats? Its important for smelly cheese . . . reasons.

EvilAnagram
2014-08-28, 07:18 PM
A60: Feats are features, so yes.

Dracothius
2014-08-29, 02:02 AM
Q61 So does taking 1 Wizard, then cleric 19 let you find and copy(then prepare) wizard spells of any level into your spell book? For example, you find wish and then copy it into your spell book and prepare it using your 9th level slot. Thanks.

ambartanen
2014-08-29, 07:22 AM
A61:
Spells Known and Prepared. You determine what spells you know and can prepare for each class individually, as if you were a single-classed member of that class.
A Wizard 1/Cleric 19 wouldn't be able to copy any spell of more than first level into a spellbook since that is how it becomes a "known" spell for them. Further in the paragraph they talk about a Ranger 4/Wizard 3 character whose spell progression makes it pretty clear they aren't capable of learning any third level wizard spells.

Edit:

No one else seems to be answering so I'll give it a shot.
A58: No rules in the PHB for this so you need to wait for the MM or DMG to come out to know for certain. From what I've seen of monsters so far, however, it seems likely that enemies and characters are supposed to be entirely different things. So you don't make enemies or NPCs using the character creation rules and don't give class levels to monsters.

jkat718
2014-08-29, 10:34 PM

If the DM uses the stock NPCs from the DMG (a few of which are included under the Basic Rules for D&D (http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/basicrules), in the Basic DMG (http://media.wizards.com/2014/downloads/dnd/DMDnDBasicRules_v0.1.pdf)), then the challenge ratings are included. If the DM makes an NPC using the character creation method, then they just use the character's level.

BranMan
2014-08-29, 11:07 PM
Q 62 This may be obvious, but when you multiclass, do you gain the save proficiencies of the new class?

Grynning
2014-08-29, 11:26 PM
A62: No. You only gain the proficiencies listed in the multiclassing section.

Kerilstrasz
2014-08-30, 03:06 PM
Q63: Cantrips & spells that required a ranged spell attack roll (like Eldrich Blast or Fire Bolt), considered "attacks" & qualify for the extra damage of "Hex" spell???

Grynning
2014-08-30, 11:09 PM
A63: Yes. This is the purpose of the Hex spell for Warlocks.

Talakeal
2014-08-31, 03:25 PM
Q64: I noticed that the Aid spell no longer grants temporary HP, but instead gives current and maximum HP for the spell's duration. How does this work? When the spell ends do you lose the current HP you gained? Is this HP lost first when you take damage like temp HP, or do you always take damage when the spell ends?

Q65: How does the savage attacker feat interact with the fighter's great weapon fighting style?

Totema
2014-08-31, 06:49 PM
Q66: Are extra attacks applied when a character uses their bonus action to attack with a weapon in their off hand?

Zweisteine
2014-08-31, 07:49 PM
A64
Looking at the Player's Handbook at every section about hit points, I could find no information about temporary increases in maximum hit points. Going by third edition, a decrease in maximum hit points also lowers your current hit points, so when aid ends, both the targets' current and maximum hit points are reduced by 5. This is not damage, and is not reduced by any resistances or immunities (or anything else).

A65
By RAW, you wouldn't be able to use Savage Attacker after activating the effect of Great Weapon Fighting, because it mandates the use of the second roll. However, you could use Savage Attacker to reroll damage, then use GWF to reroll again if the second roll is a 1 or 2, but you would have to use the reroll granted by GWF, instead of either prior roll.

This case is somewhat ambiguous when you look beyond strict RAW, and you should probably ask your DM how they would do it.
I would probably allow you to choose between the first and third rolls if you used the feat, then GWF.

A66
By RAW, you can not make additional attacks with your off hand using the Extra Attack class feature. However, you could use the additional attacks with your off hand instead of with your main hand, as normal.

BranMan
2014-08-31, 08:43 PM
Q67 (there was an error in the numbering I think)
Not much of a RAW question, but on page 231 of the PHB there's a spell called "Destructive Wave." On page 209, the paladin spell list has "Destructive Smite" as a 5th level spell. There is no Destructive Smite in the spell descriptions, is this a typo? Furthermore, the spell Destructive Wave is granted by the Tempest Domain, so that seems to be the correct one, if it is a typo.

Grynning
2014-08-31, 09:14 PM
A67: You are correct that there is not a RAW answer, since this is an error in the RAW. I strongly believe that Destructive Wave is supposed to be the spell on the Paladin list, given its flavor and the fact that it does not appear on any other class list (other than the Tempest Domain, as you mentioned).

Dracothius
2014-09-01, 05:14 AM
Is there an errata page yet for problems like that?

Dralnu
2014-09-01, 12:57 PM
Q68 Can a sorcerer use Twinned Metamagic on a Scorching Ray, if he states that all 3 rays are targeting one person?

Naanomi
2014-09-01, 08:34 PM
Q69: If more than one effect 'doubles proficiency bonus' (Example: A Rogue/Sorcerer with Expertize: Intimidation trying to Intimidate a Dragon) end up with X2, X3, or X4 Proficiency Bonus on the related skill checks?

Grynning
2014-09-01, 10:50 PM
A67a: Not yet, no

A68: This is debatable, but I assume if you select only one target, you could twin it at a second target like this, yes. I would personally probably rule it to just give one extra ray (or extra missile for magic missile, etc) in cases like this though.

A69: No. Read the section on Proficiency Bonus on page 173-174, specifically: "If a circumstance suggests that your proficiency bonus applies more than once to the same roll, you still add it only once, and multiply or divide it only once."

Dayman
2014-09-02, 12:05 AM
Q70: The Shield Master feat states "If you take the Attack action on your turn, you can use a bonus action to try to shove a creature within 5 feet of you with your shield."
Does that mean you can try to shove (knock your opponent prone/push them away) FIRST before making your melee attack?

Q71: When using the shove/grapple move, do you still have to do an Attack Roll versus the opponent's AC? Or do you immediately go into the Strength/Athletics vs Strength/Athletics or Dexterity/Acrobatics check??

TheOOB
2014-09-02, 02:35 AM
A70: No, you need to have actually taken the attack action, which implies taking your attack/attacks. You can move between attacks because moving is not an action, but the shove is an action that is separate from the attack action.

A71: No attack roll is needed. These effects replace one of your attacks, which means not of the effects of the attack happen, including the attack roll, thus you only do what the entry says, which is an opposed ability check.

1of3
2014-09-02, 04:42 AM
Q70: The Shield Master feat states "If you take the Attack action on your turn, you can use a bonus action to try to shove a creature within 5 feet of you with your shield."
Does that mean you can try to shove (knock your opponent prone/push them away) FIRST before making your melee attack?

Q71: When using the shove/grapple move, do you still have to do an Attack Roll versus the opponent's AC? Or do you immediately go into the Strength/Athletics vs Strength/Athletics or Dexterity/Acrobatics check??

Q70: There is considerable disagreement about that one. You could interpret it so that you take an action as soon as you declare it. That makes interaction with movement and extra attacks easier.

Q71: No. Just roll the contest.

Z3ro
2014-09-02, 08:41 AM
Q72: Regarding damage immunities - the stone golem, for example, is immune to "bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical weapons that aren’t adamantine". I can read this two ways:

1. You have to use a nonmagical adamantine weapon to damage the golem

or

2. You have to use a magical weapon or a nonmagical adamantine weapon to damage the golem.

I assume 2 is correct (and would house rule it if it's not) but wanted RAW clarification as the wording is ambiguous to me.

ETA: Q73: Do actions that cost movement but don't move the character (such as standing up from prone) cost additional movement on difficult terrain?

TheOOB
2014-09-02, 12:31 PM
Q72: Regarding damage immunities - the stone golem, for example, is immune to "bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical weapons that aren’t adamantine". I can read this two ways:

1. You have to use a nonmagical adamantine weapon to damage the golem

or

2. You have to use a magical weapon or a nonmagical adamantine weapon to damage the golem.

I assume 2 is correct (and would house rule it if it's not) but wanted RAW clarification as the wording is ambiguous to me.

ETA: Q73: Do actions that cost movement but don't move the character (such as standing up from prone) cost additional movement on difficult terrain?

A72: A nonmagical adamantine weapon is not a "nonmagical weapon that isn't adamntine" thus it should work, as should a non adamantine magical weapon

Dayman
2014-09-02, 06:39 PM
Q74: Are Monks able to move between their Flurry of Blow bonus attacks?
Like Standard attack, spend 1 Ki for FoB, move, FoB punch 1, move, FoB punch 2

Grynning
2014-09-02, 09:27 PM
A74: Yes, they can. I am AFB but the section on "breaking up your attack" in the combat section covers this.

1of3
2014-09-03, 05:40 AM
A73: short answer: No. Long answer: Extra costs is per foot of movement. Since standing up doesn't move you, you get zero costs, even if you assume that extra costs do apply.

Shadow
2014-09-03, 06:30 PM
Q28 Might be a silly question, but when there's a pre-req of your level on warlock invocations, does it mean your levels of warlock or your total levels? I'd guess it would be on warlock levels but I'm not sure.

A29: No one knows. There has been discussion about this on this channel.

A28/29.? Clarification:
No one knows because there is no official ruling.
According to Mike Mearls (https://twitter.com/mikemearls/status/502920360300269570) the decision is up to individual DMs.

@kilpatds up to the DM - depends on group expectations

Which is further confirmed by Chris Tulach (http://community.wizards.com/forum/rules-questions/threads/4135766):

I would definitely suggest having a discussion with your DM if you have elements of your character that are open to rules interpretation, as others have said. It is not a priority for us to create a homogenous game experience.
Unless it appears in official documentation (like a FAQ or the Player's Guide), a ruling on general D&D rules (as opposed to Adventurers League specific rules) from someone in the administration is just a guideline from another DM.
This edition really puts a lot more weight on DM interpretation to make the game move along, and the D&D Adventurers League embraces that philosophy when possible.

SpellthiefOfUr
2014-09-04, 02:27 PM
Q75: Does the Monk's Martial Arts ability allow an unarmed strike (or for that matter, any monk weapon) to count as a Finesse weapon for the purposes of the Rogue's Sneak Attack ability?

Shadow
2014-09-04, 02:31 PM
Q75: Does the Monk's Martial Arts ability allow an unarmed strike (or for that matter, any monk weapon) to count as a Finesse weapon for the purposes of the Rogue's Sneak Attack ability?

A75: DM's call. One argument would be that it never states that it becomes a finesse weapon, it simpy states that you can use your Dex, so by RAW the answer is no.
The other argument is that getting to use Dex is the criteria for becoming a finesse weapon, so by RAI the answer is yes.

DrLemniscate
2014-09-05, 12:40 PM
Q76: When you first gain a companion from the Ranger Beast Master archetype, it says choose a Medium Beast with a CR of 1/4 or less. Later in the description, it mentions that "If the beast dies, you can obtain another one by spending 8 hours magically bonding with another beast that isn't hostile to you, either the same type of beast as before or a different one.". Does this imply that you can later obtain a companion of any size or CR, as long as it is a beast that isn't hostile towards you?

Grynning
2014-09-05, 01:11 PM
A76: No. The class feature is still restricted to Medium or smaller creatures with a CR of 1/4 or less.

rlc
2014-09-05, 02:48 PM
q77. Do Bracers of Defense count as armor for Unarmored Defense?
"While you wear these bracers, you have a +3 bonus to your AC while you wear no armor and use no shield."
I'd probably say it's a valid combination, because if it counted as armor, then it would cancel itself out, but I figured I'd ask in the thread, because that's what it's for.

EvilAnagram
2014-09-05, 05:09 PM
A77. They work together according to RAW. It's a static bonus to AC, doesn't provide a new way of calculating AC, and both the bracers and Unarmored Defense rely on your character not wearing armor to work.

Edge of Dreams
2014-09-05, 08:02 PM
Q78: Is the xp reward for a monster divided by the number of pcs that defeated it together? It seems the only logical way to make sense of the xp values, but I can't find it explicitly stated anywhere.

Shadow
2014-09-05, 08:43 PM
Q78: Is the xp reward for a monster divided by the number of pcs that defeated it together? It seems the only logical way to make sense of the xp values, but I can't find it explicitly stated anywhere.

A78: Yes, you divide the encounter XP by the number of participants. Although it doesn't specifically state that anywhere that I found while skimming, it is easy to surmise by comparing the two tables in the Basic DMG Rules and reading the way to calculate the encounter difficulty and rewards.

Without dividing, it is entirely possible to create a single encounter (at the deadly level) which would grant your entire quota for XP per day per character. This is obviously not the intent, as the game is and has always been designed around the concept of multiple encounters each adventuring day.
There are other indicators as well, but that's the most obvious one.

Yenek
2014-09-06, 02:49 AM
Q 79: Can the Pally's 2nd lvl spell Find Steed summon a Griffon (I've been on a HoM&M streak lately) or does the player get extra DC on their Persuation check vs the DM?

ambartanen
2014-09-06, 01:40 PM
Q80: What happens when a multiclass druid with the unarmored defense feature transforms into a beast with natural armor? I think I'll houserule it to the better of 10+dex+other stat and beast's normal AC but I can't seem to find anything about it in the rules.

Yuki Akuma
2014-09-06, 01:47 PM
A79

Find Steed

You summon a spirit that assumes the form of an unusually intelligence, strong and loyal steed, creating a long-lasting bond with it. Appearing in an unoccupied space within range, the steed takes on a form that you choose, such as a warhorse, a pony, a camel, an elf, or a mastiff. (Your DM might allow other animals to be summoned as steeds.)

This is definitely 'ask your DM' territory. Note that griffons are monstrosities, not beasts, and are more powerful than warhorses besides, so you might need to roll high on your Fast Talk The DM check.

DrLemniscate
2014-09-06, 09:56 PM
Q80: What happens when a multiclass druid with the unarmored defense feature transforms into a beast with natural armor? I think I'll houserule it to the better of 10+dex+other stat and beast's normal AC but I can't seem to find anything about it in the rules.

(Not going to label this as an answer, since it's an opinion)

The PHB does seem to contradict itself.

"Your game statistics are replaced by the statistics of the beast..."

"You retain the benefit of any features from your class, race, or other source and can use them if the new form is physicall capable of doing so. ... "

Perhaps since Unarmored Defense sets your AC instead of adding to it (like a shield), it would not carry over. But another line says to use your proficiency for skills, unless the beast has better ones.

There shouldn't be any harm in that house rule, just monitor how it plays out. Some creatures have a low AC to compensate for things, like high HP or damage. Starting at level 2, a Circle of the Moon Druid could be a Brown Bear with an HP around 34, 40ft speed, and two attacks each turn: 1d8 + 4 and 2d6 + 4, both with +5 to hit. Normally, the bear only has 11 AC.

At the very least, make the Unarmored Defense go off of the beast's AC maybe (or that might be better than usual for some beasts).

Edit: A scarier way to argue it is that natural armor was posed as a bonus in older editions. This would give you the unarmored defense plus any natural armor bonus (+1 in the case of the Brown Bear).

Totema
2014-09-07, 04:47 PM
Q81: Does multiclassing as a spellcaster change your cantrips, or how you use them, in any way? Do you get more cantrips, or lose some, or does anything happen to them at all?

EvilAnagram
2014-09-07, 05:05 PM
A81: You gain the cantrips of whatever class you take levels in.

ambartanen
2014-09-07, 05:40 PM
Q82: Can you perform a reaction before you have had your first turn in a fight (i.e. during a surprise round where you have been surprised or in the first round before you have taken a turn)?

Shadow
2014-09-07, 05:54 PM
Q82: Can you perform a reaction before you have had your first turn in a fight (i.e. during a surprise round where you have been surprised or in the first round before you have taken a turn)?
A82: From the PHB page 189: If you’re surprised, you can’t move or take an action on your first turn of the combat, and you can’t take a reaction until that turn ends.

I see no reason to rule that you cannot take a reaction before your turn if you were not surprised.

Dralnu
2014-09-07, 09:50 PM
Q83: Can a target be surprised multiple times in combat? Or does that only happen at the beginning of a fight?

EvilAnagram
2014-09-07, 09:59 PM
A83: Surprise rounds occur only at the beginning of combat.

Dayman
2014-09-08, 11:54 AM
Q84: Is removing your shield during combat your entire Action? Like say I had a shield in one hand and a versatile weapon in the other and I wanted to use both hands for my weapon. Could I ditch my shield and two-hand my weapon and attack in the same turn?

Shadow
2014-09-08, 12:09 PM
Q84: Is removing your shield during combat your entire Action? Like say I had a shield in one hand and a versatile weapon in the other and I wanted to use both hands for my weapon. Could I ditch my shield and two-hand my weapon and attack in the same turn?

A84: p193 PHB
U s e a n O b j e c t
You normally interact with an object while doing
something else, such as when you draw a sword as part
of an attack. When an object requires your action for
its use, you take the Use an Object action. This action
is also useful when you want to interact with more than
one object on your turn.

You could stow the shield as part of a move prior to the attack, but it would be stowed for the rest of that round unless you had a way to interact again (like rogue thief 3).

DrLemniscate
2014-09-08, 01:46 PM
A84: p193 PHB
U s e a n O b j e c t
You normally interact with an object while doing
something else, such as when you draw a sword as part
of an attack. When an object requires your action for
its use, you take the Use an Object action. This action
is also useful when you want to interact with more than
one object on your turn.

You could stow the shield as part of a move prior to the attack, but it would be stowed for the rest of that round unless you had a way to interact again (like rogue thief 3).

A84 cont.: Dropping an item is a free action.

So if you want to stow one set of weapons and draw another, that would likely take your entire action. Instead, you can just drop whatever you are holding and draw another.

If you want to pick the item up in combat, it might provoke an Attack of Opportunity.

Looking at the Dual Wielder feat, you might not even be able to stow Shield and 1 Hander and draw a 2 Hander in one turn. You might have to stow the Shield and 1 Hander for one action, then next turn draw your 2 Hander for an attack. Alternatively, the Dual Wielder feat might let you effectively switch from a Dueling with a 1 Hander to Great Weapon Fighting with a 2 Hander.

As always, there might be things up to your DM. Your DM might let you stow an entire set of weapons and draw another if you just take your whole turn doing that. You also might be able prepare things in advance if your DM allows it, such as tying a Hand Crossbow to your Shield arm with a leather lanyard; letting you drop it as a free action but being able to retrieve it later.

ambartanen
2014-09-08, 04:07 PM
Q85: Does the Bless spell give an extra 1d4 to one attack or save during it's duration or to each?

cobaltstarfire
2014-09-08, 04:14 PM
Q86: If someone has already moved and attacked something, are they allowed to do something such as actively looking/searching, or trying to intimidate an enemy. Or are those things that count as actions? (or is that one of those up to the DM sort of things?)

Shadow
2014-09-08, 04:50 PM
Q85: Does the Bless spell give an extra 1d4 to one attack or save during it's duration or to each?

A85:
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute
You bless up to three creatures o f your choice within range. Whenever a target makes an attack roll or a saving throw before the spell ends, the target can roll a d4 and add the number rolled to the attack roll or saving throw.

Whenever, meaning all while the duration continues.
When an effect happens only once, the wording is usually "on the first attack."

Q86: If someone has already moved and attacked something, are they allowed to do something such as actively looking/searching, or trying to intimidate an enemy. Or are those things that count as actions? (or is that one of those up to the DM sort of things?)

A86:
It depends on the action in question.
Actively searching via investigate or perception requires an action. Passive perception would be allowed during the same turn, however.
Stealth requires an action unless otherwise specified.
Different skills may work in different ways. The DM would make the call on other skills. Intimidate, for example, may possibly be allowed to be done as part of an attack action if your DM allows it.

ambartanen
2014-09-08, 06:58 PM

A80: So it seems a little strange to answer myself but I finally found something semi-definitive.

Would using bracers of armor change the way you calculate AC or can they stack with unarmored defence? probably not stack - think of bracers and unarmored defense as establishing a base AC, like using natural OR manufactured armor. -M

Read more: http://www.enworld.org/forum/content.php?1900-D-D-5th-Edition-Sage-Advice-from-Designers-Mearls-Crawford#.VA4qPPmSybw#ixzz3Clu45m5E
So you can only use one of armor, natural armor, bracers of armor or unarmored defense to calculate your armor class.

DrLemniscate
2014-09-08, 11:23 PM
Q87: When using multiple attacks during the Attack action, is there any time between these attacks?

Could you take free actions (shouting, dropping held things) in between attacks? How about moving (so you don't waste attacks)?

I'm guessing certain bonus actions (such as Polearm Master or Great Weapon Master) definitely happen between.

EvilAnagram
2014-09-08, 11:51 PM
A87: You can move, use bonus actions, shout, flail, cry, and chat as long as the flow isn't broken up. Slice, move, slice, cry, slice, shout move is totally viable.

Foodle
2014-09-09, 12:09 AM
Q88: Does the level 5 rogue ability Uncanny Dodge stack with damage resistance? ie. Red Dragonborn gets hit with fire damage for 100 base damage. Does this get reduced to 50 (from resistance), then reduced further to 25 (from Uncanny Dodge).
Rules state resistances don't stack, but uncanny dodge is just a reduction in damage by half, no mention of resistance at all.

Q89: Does Damage Reduction stack? ie. Heavy Armor Mastery + Battlemaster's Parry.

1of3
2014-09-09, 11:10 AM
Q88: Does the level 5 rogue ability Uncanny Dodge stack with damage resistance? ie. Red Dragonborn gets hit with fire damage for 100 base damage. Does this get reduced to 50 (from resistance), then reduced further to 25 (from Uncanny Dodge).
Rules state resistances don't stack, but uncanny dodge is just a reduction in damage by half, no mention of resistance at all.

Q89: Does Damage Reduction stack? ie. Heavy Armor Mastery + Battlemaster's Parry.

A88: Stacks. For the reasons you name.

A89: Stacks. There is no "damage reduction". There is only the general stacking rule: Different effects stack. So yes.

Nevereatcars
2014-09-09, 11:13 PM
Q89

If I cast Rope Trick, and climb inside my Rope Trick, can I take out another rope, cast Rope Trick, and go inside a Rope Trick, INSIDE A ROPE TRICK?

Shadow
2014-09-10, 01:42 AM
Q89

If I cast Rope Trick, and climb inside my Rope Trick, can I take out another rope, cast Rope Trick, and go inside a Rope Trick, INSIDE A ROPE TRICK?

I realize that this was probably a joke, but....
pseudo-A89:
You'll have to wait for the DMG to tell us that when you place one extradimentional space inside another extradimentional space the microuniverse that you created implodes and desroys both spaces (including yourself and anyone that joined you in said extradimetional space[s]). :smallwink:

pwykersotz
2014-09-10, 04:57 PM
Q90.

Is there anything that exempts Monks from losing their Str or Dex on their bonus action attacks? Or is their flurry just 1d4+Dex + 1d4 + 1d4 (at low levels).

1of3
2014-09-10, 05:00 PM
Q90.

Is there anything that exempts Monks from losing their Str or Dex on their bonus action attacks? Or is their flurry just 1d4+Dex + 1d4 + 1d4 (at low levels).

A90: The ability modifier is added to attacks resulting from Flurry as usual. Flurry of Blows is not Two-Weapon Fighting. Only Two-Weapon Fighting does not include the ability mod for damage.

And you could use a weapon for a higher damage die at low levels.

ambartanen
2014-09-10, 05:04 PM
Clarification on A90: You can use a weapon on the first attack. Bonus attacks from martial arts or flurry of blows have to be unarmed.

LucianoAr
2014-09-11, 12:01 AM
q91: how do saving throws work? for example if a paladin with a +3 charisma bonus casts command on a creature, (wisdom saving throw) what is the difficulty for it? 13? what would be the proficiency bonus?

EvilAnagram
2014-09-11, 12:22 AM
q91: how do saving throws work? for example if a paladin with a +3 charisma bonus casts command on a creature, (wisdom saving throw) what is the difficulty for it? 13? what would be the proficiency bonus?

A91: The proficiency bonus is in every single class level chart in the book, and it stays consistent across classes. The difficulty for any saving throw is equal to 8+(spell ability bonus)+(proficiency bonus). In the case you present, for a first level Paladin the proficiency bonus is +2, so the spell DC=8+3+2, or 13.

Let's say there's a level 20 Paladin with 20 CHA. His CHA bonus is +5, and his proficiency bonus is 6, so the spell DC=8+5+6, or 19.

Turelim
2014-09-11, 03:13 PM
Q92: What happen when a PC makes and intimidation/Persuation check vs. a NPC or other Player? How is this resolved?

FadeAssassin
2014-09-11, 03:33 PM
A92: I don't think it's normal for PCs to Intimidate eachother, but that would be more Roleplay then a defined roll. As far as NPCs the DM should make some sort of DC for the check, based on the NPC involved (a commoner is a lot easier to intimidate than a Orc Barbarian)

Turelim
2014-09-11, 03:55 PM
A92: I don't think it's normal for PCs to Intimidate eachother, but that would be more Roleplay then a defined roll. As far as NPCs the DM should make some sort of DC for the check, based on the NPC involved (a commoner is a lot easier to intimidate than a Orc Barbarian)
That's my question, how a Intimidation will be resolved when an enemy is threating me. Is a challenge or will be resolved with a DC?

ambartanen
2014-09-11, 04:19 PM
That's my question, how a Intimidation will be resolved when an enemy is threating me. Is a challenge or will be resolved with a DC?

When someone (PC or NPC) is threatening a PC, that's roleplayed. The dice do not decide if your character is intimidated, you do.

Exceptions are things like a dragon's fear aura or a fear spell but those are specific mechanics described in the monster or spell entry.

Turelim
2014-09-11, 04:28 PM
When someone (PC or NPC) is threatening a PC, that's roleplayed. The dice do not decide if your character is intimidated, you do.

Exceptions are things like a dragon's fear aura or a fear spell but those are specific mechanics described in the monster or spell entry.
So why we have and intimidation skill and what's is the use then?

MeeposFire
2014-09-11, 04:30 PM
So why we have and intimidation skill and what's is the use then?

To determine success against NPCs, monsters, and other non-characters.

Turelim
2014-09-11, 04:35 PM
To determine success against NPCs, monsters, and other non-characters.
I get that, but if for example I want to intimidate an enemy. how the DM resolve if the enemy was intimidated or not, is a skill challenge, is a save, or is DC, or is a opposed check with another skill?

EvilAnagram
2014-09-11, 04:40 PM
I get that, but if for example I want to intimidate an enemy. how the DM resolve if the enemy was intimidated or not, is a skill challenge, is a save, or is DC, or is a opposed check with another skill?

It's a skill check with a DC decided by the DM based on the circumstances of the check and the scale of DCs (Easy, Medium, Hard, etc.).

Hytheter
2014-09-12, 07:23 AM
Q93

Do Cantrips like fire bolt scale based on character level or casting class level?

ambartanen
2014-09-12, 07:55 AM
A93: Character level.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-09-12, 07:57 PM
Q94

Is there any drawback to using a shield you're not proficient with? It looks like the only feat that grants shield proficiency is Moderately Armored, and the section on page 144 both under Armor and Shields and under Armor Proficiency seems to specifically regard armor and shields as separate, and the proficiency section's drawbacks seem to only pertain to armor.

Shadow
2014-09-12, 08:04 PM
Q94

Is there any drawback to using a shield you're not proficient with? It looks like the only feat that grants shield proficiency is Moderately Armored, and the section on page 144 both under Armor and Shields and under Armor Proficiency seems to specifically regard armor and shields as separate, and the proficiency section's drawbacks seem to only pertain to armor.

Shields count as armor, therefore:

Armor Proficiency.
Anyone can put on a suit of armor or strap a shield to an arm. Only those proficient in the armor’s use know how to wear it effectively, however. Your class gives you proficiency with certain types of armor. If you wear armor that you lack proficiency with, you have disadvantage on any ability check, saving throw, or attack roll that involves Strength or Dexterity, and you can’t cast spells.

They are regarded as separate on that page only because a shield is one of the very few ways to increase your AC with a bonus rather than a new way of calculating it.
But if you look at the table, they are considered armor, and so teh disadvantage via nonproficiency applies.

Arzanyos
2014-09-12, 08:21 PM
Q95

Do you need a whole corpse to animate dead it?

CyberThread
2014-09-13, 02:43 AM
q96 Does this edition have rules on casitng spells in already occupied spaces? Can you cast cloud of daggers, with a target being inside a much larger creatues stomach?

Shadow
2014-09-13, 02:55 AM
q96 Does this edition have rules on casitng spells in already occupied spaces? Can you cast cloud of daggers, with a target being inside a much larger creatues stomach?

A96:
PHB page 204
A C l e a r Pa t h t o t h e T a r g e t
To target something, you must have a clear path to it,
so it can’t be behind total cover.
If you place an area o f effect at a point that you can’t
see and an obstruction, such as a wall, is between you
and that point, the point o f origin comes into being on
the near side o f that obstruction.

Basically, you need line of sight and less than total cover if the target area is a creature.
Different spells under different circumstances will change the answer to your general question.
Your specific example would create a situation where the target (the point you've choosen) has total cover created by the much larger creature in the way, and thus your point of origin would appear right in front of the target (between it and you, which is the last point you had LoS on) rather than inside of it.

OldTrees1
2014-09-13, 10:29 PM
Q97
Is the Whip really a one handed reach weapon that threatens?

Shadow
2014-09-13, 10:33 PM
Q97
Is the Whip really a one handed reach weapon that threatens?

A97:
Yep, and it has finesse, too. But it only does 1d4, and it doesn't automatically come with a bunch of extra goodies or feat support like it did in 3.x, so there are tradeoffs.
one handed martial, 1d4 slashing, finesse, reach.... and nothing else special about it at all.

OldTrees1
2014-09-14, 03:00 PM
Q98
Since a Whip is one handed reach and a Club is one handed, Do I have both a 5ft reach and a 10ft reach?
Does this mean that an enemy has to "leave my reach" twice when retreating?

Shadow
2014-09-14, 03:06 PM
Q98
Since a Whip is one handed reach and a Club is one handed, Do I have both a 5ft reach and a 10ft reach?
Does this mean that an enemy has to "leave my reach" twice when retreating?

It's irrelevant, because you only get one reaction to use as your OA. Pick one.

OldTrees1
2014-09-14, 03:52 PM
It's irrelevant, because you only get one reaction to use as your OA. Pick one.

So by holding a non reach weapon, I can keep 1 enemy adjacent to me(Sentinel feat) while still being able to attack with a reach weapon?

Shadow
2014-09-14, 03:57 PM
So by holding a non reach weapon, I can keep 1 enemy adjacent to me(Sentinel feat) while still being able to attack with a reach weapon?

Ah, so now we get to the real question. :smallwink:

A98b:
Yes, by the RAW this is allowable.
But be prepared for your DM to overrule this if he feels the need. Personally, I would only allow it (a) if you qualify for TWF via weapon choices and feats, or, if you do not currently qualify for TWF, (b) if you had attacked with the non-reach weapon during that round.

Corinath
2014-09-14, 05:38 PM
Q99

Would I be able to spend a use of Portent as a Divination Wizard in order to automatically pass the roll Wish inflicts if not used to duplicate a spell?

I.E., I have a 4, 18, and 10 for my rolls for Portent upon the end of a long rest. I cast Wish in order to create a ruby. Since it isn't used in a manner to duplicate a spell, I have to pass a roll with 33% or higher. Can I use my Portent's D20 10 or 18 roll to auto-pass, since they both translate to higher than 33%?

Edit: typos an stuff

DrLemniscate
2014-09-14, 06:05 PM
Q99

Would I be able to spend a use of Portent as a Divination Wizard in order to automatically pass the roll Wish inflicts if not used to duplicate a spell?

I.E., I have a 4, 18, and 10 for my rolls for Portent upon the end of a long rest. I cast Wish in order to create a ruby. Since it isn't used in a manner to duplicate a spell, I have to pass a roll with 33% or higher. Can I use my Portent's D20 10 or 18 roll to auto-pass, since they both translate to higher than 33%?

Edit: typos an stuff

A99: No. First, it isn't an attack roll, saving throw, or ability check. Second, it probably wouldn't be a roll made by you, but rather the DM. And lastly, a roll like this would be done using d100 (percentile die). Depending on how your DM defines it (1-33 is a failure), any roll from portent could still result in failure.

thompur
2014-09-15, 11:48 AM
I only yet have the basic rules download so this may be answered in the PHB, but...
Q100: Do spells that require an attack roll have to penetrate armor? Is there such a thing as touch AC in 5/Next?

FadeAssassin
2014-09-15, 12:20 PM
A100 If the Spell Requires an Attack It will say so. If it requires a Save, it will say so.

If it's an Attack it is 1d20+ Spell Attack Modifier vs. AC.

S.A.M. = Spellcasting Ability Mod + Prof. Bonus.

thompur
2014-09-15, 01:07 PM
A100 If the Spell Requires an Attack It will say so. If it requires a Save, it will say so.

If it's an Attack it is 1d20+ Spell Attack Modifier vs. AC.

S.A.M. = Spellcasting Ability Mod + Prof. Bonus.

So armor does help protect against some magic. Cool. Thanks Fade!

Tvtyrant
2014-09-15, 03:08 PM
Q101

Can a sorcerer twin a Scorching Ray if he/she directs all of the rays at a single target? The keyword is "spell targets" for twinned spell, so I am inclined to think you could use it that way.

Shadow
2014-09-15, 03:17 PM
Q101

Can a sorcerer twin a Scorching Ray if he/she directs all of the rays at a single target? The keyword is "spell targets" for twinned spell, so I am inclined to think you could use it that way.

A101:
There is no definitive RAW answer to this, and it is hotly debated.
Ask your DM.

edit:
If you are the DM in question, you have to make a decision when there is ambiguity in the RAW. Are the RAI more important, or is your interpretation more important? Because the RAI is clearly for single target spells, which scroching ray is not. But your interpretation as DM trumps everything except errata, including the word of Mike Mearls (and this statement is supported by the organization, including Mearls himself).
So decide what's best for your game and rule in favor of that.

Scirocco
2014-09-15, 07:06 PM
Q 102:

What is the actual reach of "Reach" weapons? Its not really clear if you can actually attack adjacent targets as well as 10ft targets.

Shadow
2014-09-15, 07:11 PM
Q 102:

What is the actual reach of "Reach" weapons? Its not really clear if you can actually attack adjacent targets as well as 10ft targets.

A102:
The RAW is ambiguous in this case only because the players are used to 3.x and 4e's almost mandatory grid style combat, and the terminology used for reach weapons under that system.
The RAI is that, to put it in 3.x terminology, you effectively threaten everything within 10' of you, and can make attack rolls against adjacent targets as well as those at 10' range.
The specific example of the lance recieving disadvantage to attack rolls within 5' makes this clear (and note that it is the only reach weapon for which this disadvantage applies).

Scirocco
2014-09-15, 07:16 PM
Well that makes sense considering how hafted weapons have been used traditionally. Halberd death knight here I come.

FadeAssassin
2014-09-15, 07:24 PM
Q103 Do Clerics know every spell on their spell list? Because it never says how much they know in RAW, just that they must prepare spells "from the Cleric's spell list."

DrLemniscate
2014-09-15, 07:47 PM
Q103 Do Clerics know every spell on their spell list? Because it never says how much they know in RAW, just that they must prepare spells "from the Cleric's spell list."

They can prepare any spells that they have spell slots for; these spells slots being determined by class level.

So in essence, they sort of know all their spells. After each long rest, they ask their deity for a list of spells for that day. They have a giant spellbook in the sky.

Glarnog
2014-09-16, 03:00 AM
Do the spells that Wizards get upon gaining a level cost time or gold to scribe in to their spell books?

Shadow
2014-09-16, 03:15 AM
Do the spells that Wizards get upon gaining a level cost time or gold to scribe in to their spell books?

A104:
No, the two spells a wizard adds to his spellbook upon gaining a level are added at no cost.
Any other spell to be added, beyond the two acquired at each level gain, require inscription costs and time as shown on page 114.

koscum
2014-09-16, 12:09 PM
A101:
There is no definitive RAW answer to this, and it is hotly debated.
Ask your DM.

edit:
...Because the RAI is clearly for single target spells, which scroching ray is not...
RAI would be rather debatable as well as Eldrich Blast could bust it wide open. Up to lvl5, it is a single-target spell, but after that it has multi-target potential. DM interpretation FTW.

Q105 Can a Paladin wielding a shield with emblem on it as a holy symbol cast spells with somatic component? Does the wording of War Cast feat provide the only way to permit this, or do material component circumvention provisions on page 191 bend this as well (through the questionable "shield is now my divine focus, so it can be used in place of a material component, and I can use the same hand my focus is in to perform somatic component of the spell")? My gut feeling says "hell no, shield arm is not free".

EvilAnagram
2014-09-16, 12:19 PM
RAI would be rather debatable as well as Eldrich Blast could bust it wide open. Up to lvl5, it is a single-target spell, but after that it has multi-target potential. DM interpretation FTW.

Q105 Can a Paladin wielding a shield with emblem on it as a holy symbol cast spells with somatic component? Does the wording of War Cast feat provide the only way to permit this, or do material component circumvention provisions on page 191 bend this as well (through the questionable "shield is now my divine focus, so it can be used in place of a material component, and I can use the same hand my focus is in to perform somatic component of the spell")? My gut feeling says "hell no, shield arm is not free".

A105: By RAW, you can perform the somatic components of a spell while swordin' & boardin' as long as the shield counts as a divine focus.

Rummy
2014-09-16, 02:15 PM
A105: By RAW, you can perform the somatic components of a spell while swordin' & boardin' as long as the shield counts as a divine focus.

I thought the Devs on Ask the Sage said that somatic is only allowed if it is paired with Material components because the emblem on the shield replaces the material component. Thus SM or VSM but not S or VS. Truly a bizarre take, but from the horse's mouth.

Shadow
2014-09-16, 02:19 PM

Thread started for discussion (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?372283-Quicken-vs-Twin&p=18120312#post18120312).

DrLemniscate
2014-09-16, 02:29 PM
Q106: How do multiple 'double' effects stack, such as Spell Sniper (feat) and Distant Spell (Sorcerer Metamagic) on a 300ft range Eldritch Blast? Do they stack (1,200 ft), work off of original values (900ft), or not stack at all (600ft)?

1of3
2014-09-16, 05:19 PM
Q106: How do multiple 'double' effects stack, such as Spell Sniper (feat) and Distant Spell (Sorcerer Metamagic) on a 300ft range Eldritch Blast? Do they stack (1,200 ft), work off of original values (900ft), or not stack at all (600ft)?

A106:

There is no rule in the game that concerns "doubling" in general.

There is a rule about doubling your Proficiency Bonus: You can only ever do it once.

Therefore, there is no simple answer.

DrLemniscate
2014-09-16, 05:46 PM
A106:

There is no rule in the game that concerns "doubling" in general.

There is a rule about doubling your Proficiency Bonus: You can only ever do it once.

Therefore, there is no simple answer.

Sort of answering my own question a little, since I found some info.

A106 Cont.: The usual approach to dealing with several multipliers numbers or dice rolls is to apply them separately. They essentially act off of the original values, so 2 sources of "double" would result in a multiplier of 3x. So here, the range would be 900ft. This is the current way of dealing with this in 3.5, so it could be different for 5e.

So instead of 2*(2*X) = 4*X, we get X + (2-1)*X + (2-1)*X = 3*X or (Original Damage) + (Extra Damage from 1st Multiplier) + (Extra Damage from 2nd Multiplier).

An easier way to think of it is taking 1 off of any multipliers beyond the first. So 2x & 2x results in 2 + 1 = 3x damage. 3x and 2x would result in 3 + 1 = 4x.

Speaker
2014-09-17, 08:52 AM
Q107: Do Improvised Weapons count as Weapons? I mean for example if I grabbed two teddy bears, one in each hand, would TWF or Dual Wielding apply or are Improvised Weapons and regular Weapons different categories?

1of3
2014-09-17, 10:15 AM
Q107: Do Improvised Weapons count as Weapons? I mean for example if I grabbed two teddy bears, one in each hand, would TWF or Dual Wielding apply or are Improvised Weapons and regular Weapons different categories?

A107: There are two types of Improvised Weapons. Those that resemble weapons and those that do not (d4 damage). - BR47.

To use Two-Weapon Fighting a weapon needs the Light property. An improvised weapon that resembles a light weapon therefore might be used in that manner, as it is treated as that weapon. A shard of glass resembling a dagger, maybe.

Z3ro
2014-09-17, 11:53 AM
Q108 How do a monk's unarmed strikes and the dueling fighting style interact? Specifically, are you considered to be "wielding" an unarmed strike, and would it be with one hand? As near as I can tell, 5E has no "whole body" definition of unarmed stike like 3.x, so that muddles the RAW a little.

Edge of Dreams
2014-09-17, 12:47 PM
Q108 How do a monk's unarmed strikes and the dueling fighting style interact? Specifically, are you considered to be "wielding" an unarmed strike, and would it be with one hand? As near as I can tell, 5E has no "whole body" definition of unarmed stike like 3.x, so that muddles the RAW a little.

A108: "When you are wielding a melee weapon in one hand and no other weapons, you gain a +2 bonus to damage rolls with that weapon."

Unarmed strike isn't a melee weapon held in one of your hands. So to me, a Monk with Duelist Style holding a single weapon would get the +2 damage on attacks made with that weapon, but not on any unarmed strike attacks made thanks to Martial Arts or Flurry. That seems like the most balanced and straightforward option.

EDIT: Regarding the "and no other weapons" part - I think you have to kind of sort of ignore that for unarmed strike, because otherwise duelist style wouldn't apply to anyone (i.e. you always have the option to unarmed strike, as any class, for 1 damage, so you would *always* have another 'weapon'.)

Other interpretations would require you to treat unarmed strike as a a single melee weapon "in one hand". Maybe someone should start a thread so we can argue about it? :smallwink:

Hytheter
2014-09-17, 07:24 PM
Q109
Can you use a weapon to make a shove attack? In particular, can you use a reach weapon to shove someone 10' from you?

Speaker
2014-09-18, 02:56 PM
Q110: By RAW can I use a Shield as an improvised weapon in conjunction with another weapon with the Dual Wielding feat? If that's the case would I gain +2 AC from the shield and +1 AC from the dual wielding?

Shadow
2014-09-18, 03:04 PM
Q110: By RAW can I use a Shield as an improvised weapon in conjunction with another weapon with the Dual Wielding feat? If that's the case would I gain +2 AC from the shield and +1 AC from the dual wielding?

A110:
No specific RAW ruling.

But, according to Mearls via twitter and following common sense, if you attack with the shield you would lose the shield bonus until the start of your next turn.
You can interpret this with regards to dual wielding to mean it would be one or the other. Either +1 when attacking with shield, or +2 when not.
As there is no specific RAW, the DM would be the final arbiter.

Mellack
2014-09-18, 05:05 PM
Q111 Is there any rules on retraining cantrips? Am I stuck with the ones I took at 1st level forever, even if I picked poorly?

DrLemniscate
2014-09-18, 06:57 PM
Q111 Is there any rules on retraining cantrips? Am I stuck with the ones I took at 1st level forever, even if I picked poorly?

A111: Not by RAW, but you might be able to work something out with your DM. Some classes can pick up extra cantrips by learning them instead of a spell.

Naanomi
2014-09-18, 10:49 PM
Q112: Can a Warlock 2/Wizard (Abjurer) 2 use the Invocation 'Armor of Shadows' to continually renew his Arcane Ward?

archaeo
2014-09-19, 09:11 PM
Q112: Can a Warlock 2/Wizard (Abjurer) 2 use the Invocation 'Armor of Shadows' to continually renew his Arcane Ward?

A112: RAW suggests that you use the invocation to "cast" the spell, and the language in Arcane Ward only specifies that the spell is cast. I can find no other language to prevent the obvious exploit that this presents by RAW.

EDITED TO ADD: It is possible that you can only add hit points to a ward in this way when the ward is at 0 HP, judging by the composition of the relevant paragraph. This seems like the only way to read RAW that prevents theoretically infinite HP for Warlock 2/Wizard 2.

Or not, if you accept Jeremy Crawford's tweet (https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/509777894344622080) on the subject. At least he seems to intend that the Arcane Ward has a max HP equal to its starting HP.

Dayman
2014-09-20, 04:08 PM
Q113:

Since Grapples/Shoves are considered 'Attacks', if you were using Two-Weapon Fighting, could you shove someone prone with your initial attack and then hit them with the weapon in your other hand?

archaeo
2014-09-20, 04:44 PM
Q113:

Since Grapples/Shoves are considered 'Attacks', if you were using Two-Weapon Fighting, could you shove someone prone with your initial attack and then hit them with the weapon in your other hand?

A113: Nope. Two-weapon fighting specifically says that you must use your Attack action with a light, one-handed weapon in order to then take a bonus action with a second light one-hander. Shove replaces that Attack action. You can only shove and attack on the same turn if a class feature specifically allows it (as the Battle Master does) or if you have multiple full attacks per turn.

Occasional Sage
2014-09-20, 10:15 PM
Q114
Assuming that a barbarian is proficient in Intimidation, what does Intimidating Presence do? A level ten ability that grants limited proficiency and the ability to "take eight" seems weak enough to make me think I'm missing something.

Shadow
2014-09-20, 10:18 PM
Q114
Assuming that a barbarian is proficient in Intimidation, what does Intimidating Presence do? A level ten ability that grants limited proficiency and the ability to "take eight" seems weak enough to make me think I'm missing something.

A114:
You're missing the fact that Intimidation doesn't normally allow you to give the frightened condition. The ability takes an RP option and turns it into a combat option.

Occasional Sage
2014-09-21, 12:02 AM
A114:
You're missing the fact that Intimidation doesn't normally allow you to give the frightened condition. The ability takes an RP option and turns it into a combat option.

Ahhhh.

So something I'd allow in combat, codified with numbers that other DMs can't shaft.

Aight, I can get behind that I guess.

AxeD
2014-09-21, 12:53 AM
Q115:
It says that a rogue gets a single sneak attack once per turn. What about if you are using two weapon fighting or you hit someone with an AoO & qualify for sneak attack under those circumstances?

I'm guessing the simple answer is that you only get a single sneak attack anyway, but I'm hoping that someone might be able to explain otherwise.

Shadow
2014-09-21, 12:56 AM
Q115:
It says that a rogue gets a single sneak attack once per turn. What about if you are using two weapon fighting or you hit someone with an AoO & qualify for sneak attack under those circumstances?

I'm guessing the simple answer is that you only get a single sneak attack anyway, but I'm hoping that someone might be able to explain otherwise.

A115:
One per turn. That means TWF is extremely useful for when your first attack misses, as you can get the SA damage on the second attack. If the first one hits, you can use Cunning Action instead of a second attack.

And OAs occur on other people's turns. Once per turn does not mean once per round. So OAs can indeed get SA damage.

MrUberGr
2014-09-21, 09:58 AM
Q116 Where do Small rules exist in the phb? Stuff about weapon use, ac bonus (?) etc? I can asume most from the previous versions, but still.

Shadow
2014-09-21, 10:41 AM
Q116 Where do Small rules exist in the phb? Stuff about weapon use, ac bonus (?) etc? I can asume most from the previous versions, but still.

A116:
Small and medium creatures are effectively the same for 5e. Large and tiny have size advantages and disadvantages.

@v: True, and they must use versatile weapons with two hands. BUt he was asking about mechanical differences like 3.x's +1 AC, +1 to hit, carrying capacity, etc.

Blackdrop
2014-09-21, 11:08 AM
A116:
Small and medium creatures are effectively the same for 5e.

With one notable exception; Small characters have disadvantage on attack rolls with weapons with the Heavy property.

LucianoAr
2014-09-21, 12:53 PM
Q117: How do bonus actions really work? say you have a lvl 1 cleric, casting healing word (costs 1 bonus action), can he cast the spell and then make an attack as his action?

its not really clear, when something costs a bonus action, when do you actually have that bonus action to spend

Blackdrop
2014-09-21, 01:03 PM
A117: You can use a bonus action at any point during your turn, provided it doesn't require you to perform another action first. Page 189 in the PHB, third paragraph under the section "Bonus Actions" covers when you can and can't perform bonus actions.

TheCrowing1432
2014-09-22, 12:51 AM
Q118.

Do you get no feats at all unless you use the varient where score increases are replaced by feats?

Shadow
2014-09-22, 12:53 AM
Q118.

Do you get no feats at all unless you use the varient where score increases are replaced by feats?

A118:
Correct. Feats are optional, and if that option becomes available you gain a feat in place of an ability score increase.
The only other way is if human variant optional is also availabe at character creation.

FadeAssassin
2014-09-22, 01:46 AM
A118a: But also remember that plenty of feats give a +1 to one stat or another, so if you have a point you don't know where to put, find a feat that give you the point you already selected and take the extra bonuses.

EX: Tavern Brawler allows you to bump STR or CON, then get bonus features, so if you were already picking STR for yor stat bump, but the second point wouldn't do anything major, then take the feat (IMO).

That's just an example, plenty of feats do similar things.

squashmaster
2014-09-22, 03:50 PM
Q119:

Just thought of this one.

In a "contest" situation, do you add in your proficiency bonus if you are proficient with that ability in saving throws? I don't have a PHB to know if it clarifies but it does not clarify this in the Basic PHB PDF.

I was thinking about taking the Resilient feat in Intelligence and having the prof bonus added for contests would make things like Intellect Devourer, whose big bad ability is a "contest", potentially much easier to deal with.