PDA

View Full Version : Thael Adventures

Atsull
2014-10-17, 06:45 PM
Hello, Guys! (This first post will be OOC, but I'll have the first story post up in about 5 min.)
I just wanted to talk about the format of posts. I don't mind OOC in this thread, but leave rule questions or anything else that takes more than about 3 sentences, put it in the OOC thread. OOC statements should be underlined. Character thought should be in italics.Character speech should be colored, as usual. Colors will be decided depending on a first to post, first serve basis. The first person to speak will be the first to reserve a color. This shade of Dark Blue is reserved for non-hostile NPCs. This shade of Red is reserved for enemy speech. When you make an action that isn't flavor text, Bold it. "I shoot the goblin with my Dwarven Flintlock Rifle." "I press the large ominous red button labeled 'NOT A TRAP'." Dice rolls such as attack, spell, save, and skill checks should be rolled in this thread. Things like HP rolls should be rolled in the dice roll thread.

Links:
OOC Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?377968-Thael-Adventures-OOC&p=18279462#post18279462)
Dice roll thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?377969-Thael-Adventures-Dice-rolls)

That's all! let's play some Dungeons and Dragons!

Atsull
2014-10-17, 07:14 PM
Boyminster. Many names could accurately describe this place. The city of Faith. The City of Secrets. An Island of civilization in a land full of goblin hideouts and bandit camps, ripe for the taking by those brave enough to arm themselves against the dangers. It is here where you will make your fortune.

You've all contacted each other and agreed to meet here, at a tavern in the city's stone district. It is many people's favorite place in the city. Originally a Dwarven ghetto, the buildings here are built out of sturdy, ornate stone to remind the inhabitants of their subterranean origins. It has since become a thriving merchant and recreation quarter, with lounges, clubs, and several squares in it. The 5 of you stand outside 'The Piligrim's Crossbow', the tavern you've agreed to meet at. A large oak message and job board stand to the left of the solid granite doorframe. The dark oak door is completely open, a small pouch filled with sand sits at the bottom of the door stops it from closing. A quick glance inside reveals a large, lively restaurant and pub inside. tired workers kindle mugs of ale at the bar, groups of dwarves gable loudly at some of the table, and a few merchants, mostly elves, show off mystical and powerful looking weapons and jewelry. It's a nice place, but definitely not as fancy as some of the elven wine establishments that can be found in the area.

Only two jobs can be found that you deem appropriate for an adventurer of your cailber.

A local Lord has experienced several attempts on his life since he has moved into his new home here in Boyminster. He feels his normal footsoldiers are not up to the task, and he wishes for a party of adventurers to assist him until he can mend affairs with the local rich. He offers 200 gold pieces to each guard in advance, and 85 gold pieces for every week of work after the initial payment. He also offers services from his smith, bowmaster, and armorer. He is not willing to pay for more than 7 indiviudals. Please contact Lord Nuyle of Mohel. Location information can be found in the palace.

A landowner has suffered attacks on the serf villages on his property from local goblins, and wishes to have their hideout cleansed. He offers 600 gold pieces to the party who brings him the head of their leader. Please contact the Glimroh house. Location information can be found in the palace.

The Great Wyrm
2014-10-17, 07:38 PM
Kanthal walks over to the message board, and reads the job descriptions.

Wow, that guard job pays more gold than I've seen in my life! I only have two silver pieces in my pocket right now, but after a week of guard duty I'll have more than a thousand times that. Besides, I may befriend this lord, which could prove useful.

The goblin-hunting job also pays extravagantly, but I think it's barbaric.

Kanthal points out the job offers to the others for discussion.

Look at the wages on these! What do you guys think about some nice guard duty?

Cavir
2014-10-17, 10:04 PM
A dwarf dressed in studded leather carrying an extremely large axe and wearing goggles arrives. He nods at Kanthal and reads the board for himself. Goblins? Vankril spits. I say we grab a quick meal inside, go clear out the goblins then get back to the guard duty. Shouldn't take that long. We get both wages that way. Someone else tries to take the guard job in the meantime and we can just show the lord we're better.

Marlowe
2014-10-17, 10:25 PM
Gazala runs a thumb across her mouth. "I'm with the dwarf. Once the goblin job is done, it's done, and we can look to more--civilized--employment." She gives the druid a sharp glance. "With the bodyguarding, we could be stuck with it for months, never dare to let our guard down, and we'd never know who to trust. If I had wanted to earn a steady paycheck while surrounded by lethal scheming, I'd have gone to work for Uncle Gendo."

She flexes her fingers. "Besides, bodyguarding calls for a quite broad skillset. The patience to be with your employer all the time, the discretion to be almost invisible when doing so, the perception to tell at a glance when someone is possibly a danger--or even to tell when the fact you don't see anything at all means danger. I don't think we are yet equipped for that. Really, this upwardly-mobile individual should seek out my mother's bodyguard. He was very diligent. Even guarded her in bed." She looks a little uncertain. "Yes. I'm very sure that's what he was doing."

Atsull
2014-10-17, 11:13 PM
A Human, a Half-Orc, and a Halfling leave the pub. They're heavily armed, and obviously experienced. The Half-Orc chuckles at something the halfling said before the Human, dressed in Paladin's armor, sticks out his arm to stop them. They glance at the job board, then at you, then at the board. they quickly huddle, talking quickly and quietly.

A few of you overhear the halfling say "They're newcomers! They probably just want to go kill some pigs or something." The Paladin says something along the lines of "Fine, but we have to ask!". After about 40 seconds of fierce discussion, the paladin approaches you and points to the goblin job.

"You brave warriors look like you may be interested in this job." He says. "We have some business to attend to in that area and would love to complete that along the way. Did you fine souls have your eyes on that, or may we take it?" Sense motive and such could reveal true reasons about asking you, or how much they care.

Marlowe
2014-10-17, 11:36 PM
[roll0]

Gazala gives the Paladin a bored look. "Killed all the pigs you can eat, have you?" And then, because its a fair question: "We're still tossing up. Chopperchap and myself here want to take the job, Bearhugger wants to spend his days indoors eyeing up the chambermaids, and the rest here have yet to express an opinion."

She turns to the group and claps her hands together twice. "Hwaet! That was the voice of destiny! Chase goblins or spend the next few months conducting body cavity searches of unwashed tradesmen! Speak now to decide your fate!"

Atsull
2014-10-17, 11:58 PM
After Gazala's comment, the Half-Orc places his right hand on the handle of his glaive. The halfling places his hand on his arm, and comforts him.

The paladin scans the party, before turning to Vankril. He seems to assume that Vankril is the leader, and quickly speaks to him. "We should be going soon, so if you could get that crotchety half-fiend under control, and let the rest of your group come up with a reasonable consensus, it would be great." He glances at Gazala, not with hatred or judgement, but with the look of someone who is just tired of jokes, as if humor has failed him.

You feel like you didn't do a very good job of probing the adventurer's inner thoughts, but it would take a heaping dose of ignorance to not notice on thing: These people tired, and not just the simple kind caused by hard work or lack of sleep. Something is seriously nagging these men.

A better sense motive check might discover what's troubling them, or a decent diplomacy would likely allow you to ask them politely.

Marlowe
2014-10-18, 12:23 AM
Gazala takes a few moments to register that "crotchety-half-fiend" might refer to her. Then sighs. She'd normally ignore this sort of thing, but it's been a tiresome few days."That's right,soldier. Insult us in front of our faces as though we can't hear you. Then specifically insult the one who's trying to move things along for your convenience. Very good. Paladin. For the record, in case you feel like reading a book sometime, my heritage is under Natural Knowledge, not Extraplanar. You should know it, it's the one with Nymphs bathing on the cover."

Atsull
2014-10-18, 12:41 AM
The paladin closes his eyes and bows down his head. he whispers an apology for his comment, before walking away slowly, as if he needs to think about something. The half-orc follows him, wrapping his arm around the human's shoulder. As they walk away, the halfling struts up and looks straight at you.

"You know what? Nobody gives a dire rat's ass about your ancestry. Do you have any social skills, or are you just too stupid to tell when somebody is dealing with something? Look at that guy. Does he look like some ******* paladin here to stand up on his soapbox and preach? You think paladins just insult people at will? Or did you ever stop to think that maybe he was being so unnaturally rude because he was just upset?"

The halfling shakes his head at you.

We just fought a clan of vampires because they threatened a little girl, and you know what that guy had to do? He had to make a choice. Let the girl run, or sacrifice the girl and let the party leave. He had to make that choice, and because of it, two of our best people died. One just happened to be his wife. That guy just made the choice to let his wife die. You going to insult him now? You know what, we will take that job. maybe we can actually scrap together enough gold for a ressurection.

The halfling grabs a piece of charcoal from his bag, and crosses out the goblin job. Watching the Halfling walk away, you can see him approaching the paladin, who is crying and rubbing his amulet with his thumb. the Half-orc stands next to him, comforting him.

Marlowe
2014-10-18, 12:50 AM
Gazala listens calmly until half-way into the second paragraph, then breaks in with;"That's an awful lot of self-righteousness coming from the one who started the whole scene in the first place.. If you can't follow Common, you twit, I was trying to help you people. For which I was insulted. And what happens or has happened to you in the last few days is none of my business, nor my fault. Now get away from me. I keep my loose change somewhere else."

Atsull
2014-10-18, 01:02 AM
The Halfling looks surprised when you interrupt him. He's used to dominating a conversation. He listens until you finish speaking though. He starts walking away, but stop halfway and smiles at you.

"You shouldn't fib about the location of currency. Tends to get you into trouble."

He drops a small pouch in the middle of the street, then turns away and begins to walk away from you.

Marlowe
2014-10-18, 01:18 AM
Gazala gives a little facepalm. "I should feel bad about casting aspersions on the basis of racial stereotyping, but some people just don't help themselves. Somebody want to pick that up? I don't even own a pouch."

Atsull
2014-10-18, 01:24 AM
A quick feel of your pockets reveal that the few coins you had are now gone.

Marlowe
2014-10-18, 01:29 AM
Gazala resists a sigh this time, and picks up the pouch. "Okay, I guess I do now." Although now I need to check Fighter to see if the little sneak's stolen anything else. Where's a scroll of genocide when you need one?

Atsull
2014-10-18, 01:42 AM
He didn't steal anything else.

Inside the pouch is a small note saying:

Don't mess with the Oslohgen Order. We can take a lot more than a few coins.

Marlowe
2014-10-18, 02:42 AM
Gazala pitches her voice loud enough to be heard down the street. "What kind of sneakthief is stupid enough to leave a note with his groups affiliation? And what kind of Paladin associates with one? Well, thanks, boys. I'm sure the Watch and the Temple of Hieronymous will find this note a good home".

She turns back to the others. "Sorry chaps, seems I've doomed us to indoor work with no heavy lifting".

The Great Wyrm
2014-10-18, 07:40 AM
Well, let's get on with it, then. I say we go to the palace to find out where we can meet Lord Nuyle.

Atsull
2014-10-18, 09:15 AM
Your stomachs whimper, reminding you it's been at least 5 hours since you all last ate. Perhaps you should have something to eat here at the tavern, or you could try to get some food at Nuyle's manor.

Atsull
2014-10-18, 09:20 AM
<This is an OOC post>

Unfortunately, TheThan had to pull out. If you don't remember, he was going to play Evelyn Blackheart, a sorcerer. I'm going to control Evelyn for a while, but then she'll probably leave the group.

Sorry to put this in the game thread, but I wanted to make sure everyone read it.

Atsull
2014-10-18, 09:35 AM
A voice comes from back of the group: "I think we should grab something to eat here, sleep, and then head to Nuyle's manor." It comes from a Evelyn, who looks very hungry. Does that sound good to everybody?

The Great Wyrm
2014-10-18, 09:51 AM
Sounds fine to me, although I don't want to spend too much.

Cavir
2014-10-18, 10:19 AM
If ya want to be around nobles, ya need to be be able to show respect and restraint. That Paladin did give some apology which was probably a lot for him. It does seem weird they are going from a clan of vampires to a goblin lair. Maybe the whole goblin thing was just messing with us. For now, let's eat.

Blasted time zone differences...
Sense Motive [roll0]

Atsull
2014-10-18, 10:54 AM
Those men were obviously tired and not thinking rationally. Losing someone has really messed them up.

Yas and Reality Glitch are entering the tavern with you guys because they haven't responded yet and I don't think they'll mind.

This is a very large, nice pub. A long bar sits to your left. Two bartenders running around behind it, serving drinks and making conversation. A large menu, written with fancy gold lettering, is nailed in above the bar. Waiters weave through the tables, Dwarves laugh, Merchants sell their wares, and Workers relax after a day's work at the tables. Some Dwarves, who are gambling, eye Vankril over with an inviting look. An Elf merchant glances at you, but looks back to her customers quickly. You spot an empty table to the right, but the bar also looks inviting.

DRINKS

Mug of RumbleHump Perry ......................................... 2cp
Glass of Herrburry's Black Stout .................................. 3cp
Mug of StoneHammer's Dwarven Ale..............................4cp
Glass of Berrubee's Gray Elf Wine..................................6cp
Glass of Mellug's Red Ale..............................................1 cp
Pitcher of Herrburry Stout............................................. 1sp
Pitcher of StoneHammer's..................................... ..1sp 2cp
Bottle of Berrubee's........................................ ..............2sp

FOOD

Leg of Lamb with Honey Reduction.................................1sp
Tomato Cream Soup.............................................. .......8cp
Porridge with Berries and Honey.....................................6cp
Baked Onion with Chives and Garlic................................4cp
Wild Boar with Goat Cheese.....................................2sp 6cp
Roast Chicken with Tarragon....................................1sp 1cp
Pig Shoulder with Garlic............................................ .....8cp

One pitcher/Bottle = 6 glasses

The Great Wyrm
2014-10-18, 01:24 PM
It would be bad to meet the noble while drunk. Let's just get food, no drinks.

Wow, this restaurant sure is expensive. But I guess we're going to get paid soon, so why not splurge?

Kanthal gets a seat at the empty table and orders the pig shoulder.

Atsull
2014-10-18, 01:33 PM
A waitress weaves through the tables to get to you, then notes your order on a pad.

"You sure you don't want anything to drink, honey?" She says, after you ask for the Pork Shoulder.

The Great Wyrm
2014-10-18, 01:44 PM
Yeah, I'm sure. I've seen drink bring many a good man down, so I don't touch alcohol.

Atsull
2014-10-18, 02:18 PM
"Mmmm'kay. Will you be wanting to rent a room tonight?"

Yas392
2014-10-18, 02:44 PM
Sense Motive - [roll0]

The human-like or one who dressed like a human with a scholarly look watches from a distance. After from a day of fieldwork, he foraged some alchemical materials and was to rendezvous with his comrades that he met during his long stay. But as soon as he got there, he finds Gazala in a heated conversation with three people while others is staying out of it. A paladin, a half-orc fighter and a Halfling thief by the looks of it. They were arguing over the missions displayed on the advertisement board. He tries to read the reason before they leave, peers at the board and chuckles before his joining his companions.

Tough luck, eh, Gazala? You should have came up with a better diction for persuasion rather than insults. Well, it is not entirely unsalvageable but 200 gold in advance is pretty secured for a dull and static job.

He chuckles again, glancing at the waitress.

I will have the porridge.

The Great Wyrm
2014-10-18, 03:05 PM
If we can get the guard job today, it will provide us with a place to stay.

What time of day is it? Do we have a reasonable chance of meeting the lord before nightfall?

Atsull
2014-10-18, 06:16 PM
A large clock positioned above the bar tells you that it's 7:30 PM. Knowing boyminster, however, Nuyle will probably still be up and ready to take visitors.

Yas is capable of probing much deeper than the others in terms of analyzing the group's actions. Not only are they troubled by a recent death, it's apparent they've had too much to drink. Perhaps you should just let is slide.

Yas, Bold is not an appropriate way to designate dialogue. You need to choose an unused color.

The Great Wyrm
2014-10-18, 06:21 PM
Kanthal addresses the rest of the group:

I think we should see Lord Nuyle after we're done eating, and try to get lodging as his guards. If that doesn't work we can always sleep here.

Yas392
2014-10-18, 07:39 PM
Ksingtash listens intently, crafting his next words.

Usually a lord or a baron has more than enough room to house several applicants who would gladly lay their lives for him. If you read carefully, it states; several attempts on his life. If we would serve as Nuyle's bodyguards for a calculable amount of period, he will need us within proximity to protect him at all times therefore it is plausible that he will not brush aside a simple request such as accommodation. And it is also beneficial since several services are accessible to us.

The Great Wyrm
2014-10-18, 07:42 PM
OK, let's go, then!

Kanthal finishes his food and gets up.

Marlowe
2014-10-18, 09:14 PM
Gazala is very tempted to bite Ksingtash's head off for yet another appalling distortion of reality. But really doesn't feel in a mood to get into another fight right now. "Indeed. I imagine at least one quality Mr Noveau Riche would like in a bodyguard is punctuality, not the ability to sit around feeding ones face. Let us be off."

She's half out the door to fetch Fighter when she's struck by a thought. "Recently fought Vampires. Palpable fatigue. Strange anti-social behaviour..." She shakes her head. "There's something there. But I'm sure I don't have the training to puzzle it out.

[roll0]

Cavir
2014-10-18, 09:48 PM
Vankril orders a leg of lamb with the party and then heads over to the group of dwarves while waiting on the food. He orders a pitcher of StoneHammer's Dwarven Ale for the table and introduces himself. He has a mug from it and toasts with the table. He ask if they know of anything about Lord Nuyle of Mohel. He'll then head back to the party to eat.

If we're to talk to the lord, we should have someone to speak for us. I speak more with my axe so hopefully one of us would be better with introducing us.

Gather Information [roll0]
It's a quick interaction, but the posting is public so I'm not trying to be secretive with them nor expecting secrets, just general information/impression.

Atsull
2014-10-18, 10:23 PM
The Dwarves stare akwardly at Vankril before turning away. "Sorry, Brother. Best not to talk about men of such standing. Let anything slip and someone is going to come after you, no matter how kind the man may be." They say, returning to their cards. One of them glances at the rest of your party, and says "Looks like someone wants to talk to you." Kanthal looks at you, his eyes waving you over.

Cavir
2014-10-18, 10:29 PM
Vankril nods with the dwarf's answer, raises his mug in one last cheer, then heads back to the party's table.

The Great Wyrm
2014-10-18, 10:29 PM
(in a discreet tone to Vankril)

We are ready to leave to meet Lord Nuyle. Would you please join us?

Cavir
2014-10-19, 12:30 PM
Vankril downs his meal and the last of his drink. Lets go see what we're getting ourselves into.

Atsull
2014-10-19, 12:33 PM
After finishing off your meals (Have you all taken the currency off?), You head to the palace.
Only a 15 minute walk, you arrive soon. Here, you consult the nobility map of the city and locate Nuyle's Manor, a magnificent building. The man is extraordinarily wealthy, and many a bet has been placed that he may rise to the rank of Baron, maybe even Duke. It's just a 7 minute walk from the palace to his manor, and you don't even get lost. The Noble houses are all very close.

You arrive at the house, and Vankril steps up and knocks heavily on the front door. A servant answers, saying: "Lord Nuyle is very busy at the moment, he won't be taking vis-... Oh!" His eyes widen when he sees you are neither nobles nor protesters. "You must be here to guard M'Lord! Come in, please!" He ushers you in quietly, and guides you to the throne room. "I'll go fetch Lady Nule. M'Lord is too busy to speak to you personally." He says, and slips into the room.

A few seconds later a Beautiful, Elegantly dressed Lady comes out. She speaks quietly and politely, obviously well trained in the art of nobility. "James tells me you're here for the job offer." She says. "My husband has been attacked multiple times, and we're looking for a more elite team to help defend him. We can't even open his mail without magic, for somebody has mailed him Dwarven mining charges and we can't let that happen again. I trust you are up to the task?" She smiles at you kindly.

The Great Wyrm
2014-10-19, 01:37 PM
Yes, we are, madam. We saw the job offer at the Pilgrim's Crossbow, and we're here to guard Lord Nuyle.

Reality Glitch
2014-10-19, 01:50 PM
I apologies for any tl;dr do to showing up late.

Eli walks into the pub, seeing the table where everyone else is sitting at he goes over and sits down "Hey guys, sorry I'm late, I had to turn in a commissioned piece on the way over here -- Thus the detour."

Atsull
2014-10-19, 02:14 PM
Lady Nuyle looks each of you over, checking out your gear.

"Hmm, Yes. You'll do. You look like you could do with some better equipment, but it'll do for now. She says.
"Amy, these are my husband's new guards. Would you please take them to their rooms?" She waves over a servant, who nods at you and quietly asks you to follow her.

"I'll have somebody come by and wake you all up tomorrow, and then you can meet Lord Nuyle and receive your advance payment." She says, as Amy guides you down a corridor. Yo u round a corner into a hallway, where Amy guides you to two rooms. Peeking inside, you can see that they're very spacious rooms. Each has four Beds, 2 Chests, and a bedside table next to each bed. a door leads to an expensive looking marble shower. Four empty armor mannequins stand on the other side of each room.

The Gentleman guards shall take the room on my left, and the Ladies shall take the room on my right. Lady Nuyle wants you well-prepared for your meeting with her husband, so I would recommend you take a bath. There are Tubs with hot water faucets in the bathrooms.

Amy turns to you, curtseys, and walks quickly away, whispering a thank you under her breath.

Atsull
2014-10-19, 02:17 PM
It's fine, glitch. Just choose what food and drink you think your character would have bought and take the money off. The party has currently just arrived at Nuyle's manor, for the bodyguard job.

The Great Wyrm
2014-10-19, 02:25 PM
Wow, a bath! I haven't had one in weeks, and I sure need it!

Thanks for your hospitality. Where can my guard dog stay? He's well-trained, and won't cause trouble.

Reality Glitch
2014-10-19, 02:26 PM
(( About what time is it in game? ))

The Great Wyrm
2014-10-19, 02:30 PM
{About 8 pm}

Atsull
2014-10-19, 02:30 PM
Hearing your question, Amy spins around quickly. "Oh, sorry! I didn't even think. We have a kennel in the manor that I can take him to, or he's welcome to stay with you. Lord Nuyle loves dogs.

The time is about 8PM.

Reality Glitch
2014-10-19, 02:49 PM
"Well, it's getting late. I'm gonna go to sleep for now. See you all in the morning." Eli goes into the men's quarters and takes one of the beds.

The Great Wyrm
2014-10-19, 03:51 PM
Nychro will stay with me, then. I imagine your kennel is excellent, but Nychro sometimes gets nervous if he's away from me for long periods of time.

Kanthal picks a bed in the men's quarters, takes a bath, and goes to sleep. Nychro sleeps on the floor beside the bed.

Cavir
2014-10-19, 04:29 PM
Thanks. Vankril nods as Amy leaves. He spends some time cleaning his armor and weapons before bathing and turning in.

Yas392
2014-10-19, 05:40 PM
Unexpected. I guess Lord Nuyle do place a lot of value in his men. He surveys the room and the shower in awe of its quality. Certainly, unexpected. After the shower, he creates some comfy pillows for Nyncho before creating another blanket for himself to keep himself warm for at least an hour in which his creation will expire at the end of the duration. At that time, he would be fully asleep. He snuggles in his bed and glaze at the surrounding under darkness claims him.

Ksingtash will bath, practice his psionics (minor creation,psionic) then retire for the night.

Marlowe
2014-10-19, 09:01 PM
Gazala has fully intended to make a full introduction and a presentation regarding her skills. Walking up walls. Shooting People. Telling Limbo from Arborea if it should ever prove crucial. But the speed of events leave her a little gobsmacked. She didn't ask us anything. We could have been any color of assassins, saboteurs or missionaries, and she just moved us in and bedded us down. Nobody thinks this is suspicious?

Feeling something is badwrong for some reason, she waits until no obvious eyes on her, then goes out the window and Spiderwalks along the outside of the building, listening very carefully at each window she comes to in turn.

Atsull
2014-10-19, 11:26 PM
I have a real life thing that I have to deal with. It's serious, and I won't be able to post for several days,maybe even a week.

EDIT: Nevermind, The problem has resolved itself. I'll be able to do things.

Atsull
2014-10-20, 06:39 PM
There are large ledges on each window, so it's easy to hop from window to window. You skip quickly over Kanthal, Ksingtash and Vankril's room, landing on the one past them. It's cold outside, and the wind sends chills down your spine.

The windows are frosted over, but you can see the fuzzy shapes of two people inside the room. They both seem to be undressing, probably getting ready to go to bed for the night.

You can hear clearly through the glass: "I had to give Emily a bath today. Nice girl, but she's so squirmy!" One of the shapes says.
"Oh, I know. I was in charge of feeding her when she was smaller, you know. She was so messy!"Says another voice.

This room is probably just some servant's quarters. You hop to the next window.

the next window shows a very fancy room, with a nice bed and what you think is an oak desk. Someone sits at the desk-shape, their hand moving quickly and erratically. Perhaps they are writing.

You lean into the wall to listen, but you can't hear a thing. You guess it's a tutor's room.

The next room is large, and completely empty. Pressing your ear against the wall, you can't hear a thing. Metal bits and bobs hang from the ceilings, and their's a lot of work surfaces. Probably a kitchen.

The Next room is a small room, more of a hallway. Heavy metal doors are built into the side of the hallway. Perhaps they are holding cells?

You lean the side of your head against the wall, and listen in. You can hear a soft banging, as if someone is hitting one of the doors from the inside.

After the fourth room, it's the corner of the building. The jump is incredibly long, and it would be suicidal to attempt it. You begin climbing back to your room.

You swing inside the room, only to find a guard inside, looking at you with a curious, somewhat accusatory gaze. He holds his halberd in both hands, but keeps it at the ceiling. Evelyn is sitting on her bed, staring at you with a "What the Hell?" look.

"If you'd just come with me, Ma'am, I think Lord Nulye would have a few questions about why you were climbing around on the building." The guard says.

I made your listen checks on the dice roll thread, if you want to see them.

The Great Wyrm
2014-10-20, 08:34 PM
Try to pass it off as "checking the area for security purposes," which seems reasonably plausible. I hope you roll high on Bluff!
I put this here, and also in the OOC thread, because I think it's quite important (it could let us keep the job).

Marlowe
2014-10-20, 09:26 PM
Given that's precisely what she was doing, I don't think Bluff is the answer.

Gazala nods. "Naturally. I'm glad to hear someone around here is alert. Lead on sir."

Atsull
2014-10-20, 09:48 PM
The guard leads you out of the room, traveling through the hallway. Two guards stand next to the entrance to the hallway, looking alert. You are led all the way to the throne room, where Lord Nuyle sits. He looks at you, dissapointed and tired.
"I allowed you room and board before I had even met you. I let you into the same wing of my home where my family resides. I trusted that you would not cause any trouble before I could meet you personally and accept you. I gave you all this, and then a guard sees you climbing on the side of my manor? You must have a pretty damn good reason for all this." He sighs, and then whispers something to a hooded man beside him, who casts a spell. You can't identify it immediately, but you quickly feel some kind of effect wash over you. You feel a sudden urge to tell the truth, and nothing else.

Marlowe
2014-10-20, 10:10 PM
Gazala feels a flash of irritation. "Exactly, My Lord. You--your household gave us room and hospitality without you even meeting us personally. You bedded us down next to your loved ones. What's wrong with this? You are supposed to be concerned for your life and security. Who are we? A group of unknown, itinerant, nameless ready-for-aughts from off the street. We could have been anyone. And yet you put us in the middle of your household without even meeting us. That is taking generosity to foolish extremes, or else extremely suspicious. Can you blame me for wishing to find out which applies?"

Atsull
2014-10-20, 10:26 PM
If you had stepped outside your door, you would have seen that you and your comrades's rooms were the most heavily guarded areas other than my daughter's room. But I understand that you were intrigued by my hospitality. Others have seen it suspicious before. He says, eyeing you over as if something about you interests him."This may be foolish, but I believe your intentions were good. Go to bed, and I'll call your team in the morning. The merchants from Ivarole come into today, and I'd like to oversee the trades personally. With any luck, you'll be protecting me and my family by then." He smiles, and waves to a guard, who begins to take you out of the room.

Marlowe
2014-10-20, 10:53 PM
Gazala stands and nods politely. "That you, my Lord." And then, because she can't help yourself. "For the record, the trick with a truth-compulsion effect is to interrogate the subject normally first, then use the spell and see which parts of the story changes. Also, you need to use unambiguous closed-ended questions so the subject cannot disguise purpose by going off on tangents. An opener like "You must have a pretty damn good reason for this" gives me dozens of possible answers that wouldn't lead you anywhere.

Atsull
2014-10-20, 11:16 PM
"Ah, but there is your most basic misunderstanding: You weren't being interrogated. If you had been evasive, and I had reason to believe you were a real threat to my family, well..." His voice wanders off, and a thin smile forms on his lips. "I have people for that." He says quietly. "Goodnight to you, and Sleep well! We wouldn't want to be tired tomorrow, eh?" He grins, and waves you off.

Marlowe
2014-10-20, 11:24 PM
Gazala raises an eyebrow. "Thank you, My Lord." Then pauses at the door. "I'm very tempted to check out your roof. But I'll save that 'til morning or we'll doubtless have all sorts of hilarious misunderstandings. Good night."

Cavir
2014-10-21, 06:48 AM
A bit before dawn Vankril wakes. He quietly dons his armor and grabs his gear so he doesn't wake his roommates. His axe, though seemingly bigger than he is with a blade almost the size of his shield, is somehow strapped to his back. He quietly opens the door assuming there is at least one guard just outside and makes it obvious he does not have a weapon in hand. He closes the door behind him and speaks to the nearest guard unless another makes it clear they are in charge.

I would go outside to do my morning weapon exercises. If you have a practice yard that'd work too. You or anyone else, even Lord Nuyle himself are welcome to come too.

Please let me know when Lord Nuyle is ready for us or when breakfast is ready.

Outside, Vankril practices with dagger and shield, shield and axe, and his axe with both hands. It's clear he has more control of the large axe than one would expect of a dwarf or human.

Not a strenuous workout that will leave me all sweaty for the morning meeting. More a warmup and allowing them to watch me or even spar if they so desire.

The Great Wyrm
2014-10-21, 07:58 AM
Kanthal wakes up and meditates for a while, to prepare spells.

0- Detect Magic, Detect Poison, Guidance
1- Obscuring Mist, Cure Light Wounds

Atsull
2014-10-21, 08:56 AM
There are some soldiers doing practice drills out in the courtyard as Vankril walks in. You can see eyes on you from the building, and the drill instructor takes a long look at your axe swings."Excellent form you've got there." He says.

You complete your practice and return to your room just 15 minutes before your appointment with Lord Nuyle

Yas392
2014-10-21, 03:43 PM
Ksingtash opens his eyes and sees the dwarf gone. Kanthal is meditating, obviously choosing his repertoire for the day. The kalashtar mind is already in meditation. The meditation makes him extremely calm at all times unless his focus is broken. Ksingtash dresses himself and just as he is about to attend the breakfast with Lord Nuyle, the door flings open, revealing a sweaty dwarf. Ksingtash raise an eyebrow in curiosity, having not seen the dwarf in this state. The kalashtar is usually absent in the morning due to his research.

Do you always condition yourself before dawn?

Cavir
2014-10-21, 06:49 PM
I'm used to training for hours each day. I'm not sure I'll have that kind of time with this job. Even if he has made lots of enemies I doubt the city would turn a blind eye on large scale assaults. Still, there's lots for us to figure out on how we are to keep him safe short of locking him away. We need to know everything about his enemies and what they've done so far. Don't forget they made have someone on the inside too.

Vankril rinses and dries off, ready for the day.

Reality Glitch
2014-10-21, 10:00 PM
You complete your practice and return to your room just 15 minutes before your appointment with Lord NuyleI assume this is after the when the two in-between posts take place?

Marlowe
2014-10-21, 10:10 PM
Gazala finds a place to splash to disrobe and splash water over herself, then dresses, steps out the nearest window, and walks up the wall to the roof of the house. She wants to check for skylights and chimneys. And dry out before the morning meeting.

If any guards are below that she can see, she'll give them a little wave.

Atsull
2014-10-21, 10:18 PM
I assume this is after the when the two in-between posts take place?

Yes. You should prepare spells now.

Atsull
2014-10-21, 10:35 PM
A few guards in the courtyard see you, but they don't ask suspicious. Nuyle has probably told them about your activities. There are several chimneys on the roof, and a large skylight leads down to the throne room. A few quick knocks on the glass reveals that it's sturdy, well reinforced glass, and could probably shrug off a crossbow bolt or a decent warhammer hit. The roof is mostly Tile, but feeling the roof you realize it must be supported by some sort of metal structure.

You should return soon. You definitely don't want to arrive late.

Marlowe
2014-10-21, 11:08 PM
Feeling decently dried off, Gazala will return inside and check on Fighter and her gear before reporting to the audience chamber. "Should have bought a pretty dress" She mutters to herself. "Only what kind of pretty dress goes with leather and studs?...The naughty sort. That's what. Clean thoughts, young lady"

Atsull
2014-10-21, 11:56 PM
You've all assembled in the Throne room, but something seems off when neither Lord Nuyle nor his Wife arrive. Soon, a servant comes in quickly curtseying before politely informing you that Lord Nuyle wishes to have breakfast with you. All six of you are led to the dining hall, which is just off of the Throne Room. A huge table runs the entire distance of the room. It's a beautiful piece, made out of one piece dark oak, spanning at least 30 feet. Lord Nuyle sits at the head of the table, with his wife directly on his right and his daughter, a young child, on his left.

"Ah, wonderful! You're here. Emily was very excited to see you." He says in a loud, kind tone. His daughter grins at you, clearly interested by your weapons and armour. "Sit down, please. After you eat, we'll move over to the war room and we can talk about today's activities." There are six seats pulled out near the head of the table, and you all walk over to them and sit down. Big servings of Pork, fried eggs, mustard, toast, and tea sit at your plates. "My advisors assure me I can trust you, so consider yourself hired. They've cast all sorts of spells, apparently. I assure you they didn't do anything very intrusive." He says to you while eating a piece of toast lathered with jam. "I assure you payment has been delivered. I prepared private vaults for all of you at the Boyminster Royal Bank. Giving you the gold physically would be far too dangerous." He hands you some papers, signed by the King's Archsteward, that ensure to you that you have an account at the Royal bank of Boyminster. He also hands you each a personal ledger book, with several pages of notes at the front that list off the rules. The ledger is to be shown to a branch of the bank every two weeks. If you won't be able to visit the bank, you are to inform them beforehand.

Lower in the table, Lord Nuyles advisors, as well as Emily's Tutors, chat about the goings on in the manor. You could try and eavesdrop on their gossip, or just try and finish your meal before the briefing. You could also try to strike up a conversation with Lord or Lady Nuyle, or ask Emily some questions.

Marlowe
2014-10-22, 03:31 AM
Gazala will listen to the talk around her, and try to be as invisible as possible.

Let's see who these people are, and what they are. We're not getting paid to be obtrusive.

The Great Wyrm
2014-10-22, 07:08 AM
While eating, Kanthal also attempts to listen to the advisors.

I guess Detect Poison won't be needed, given that Lord Nuyle has spellcasting help.

[roll0]

Atsull
2014-10-22, 02:30 PM
You can hear the tutors and advisers talking. Some discuss your hiring, some discuss important goings-on in their fields of study. A few of the Tutors discuss how Emily is growing. Nothing worrying is being discussed. A scholar, probably Emily's Psionics tutor, laughs while his teacup remains perfectly level. Overall. There is nothing that really grabs your attention. Judging by the atmosphere of the room, you guess that about 30 minutes remain before you head to the war room.

Reality Glitch
2014-10-22, 02:38 PM
"My advisors assure me I can trust you, so consider yourself hired. They've cast all sorts of spells, apparently. I assure you they didn't do anything very intrusive."Glares, a little peeved.
He hands you some papers, signed by the King's Archsteward, that ensure to you that you have an account at the Royal bank of Boyminster. He also hands you each a personal ledger book, with several pages of notes at the front that list off the rules. The ledger is to be shown to a branch of the bank every two weeks. If you won't be able to visit the bank, you are to inform them beforehand."Thank you."
You could also try to strike up a conversation with Lord or Lady Nuyle, or ask Emily some questions."Emily, was it? I'd like to show you something you might like." He pulls out his sketch book and shows Emily some of the cartoons contained within.

The Great Wyrm
2014-10-22, 02:41 PM
If there's anything important we want to know from Lord Nuyle, we can ask in the war room -- no need to interrupt breakfast.

Kanthal continues eating, and talks as socially appropriate.

Yas392
2014-10-22, 03:02 PM
Ksingtash nods in thanks. He receives the banking statements and the ledgers. He brings together the statements into one pile before aligning the papers, creating a mild sound on the table while he was doing the organizing. It is a basic skill he learned in the academy when he is cataloguing and cleaning up the library as a part time librarian. Everything has to be organized. He bows to Emily.

Greetings, Lady Emily.

He turns to the Lord and the Lady of the house.

Lord Nuyle, Lady Nuyle. Can we have some insight on the prior attempts?

He scans the table for any eligible suspects that may target or play a hand in ensuring Lord Nuyle's downfall. Who is to question whether the house cannot be destroyed from within? Every figures in this house sans his party has to be checked. He will also listen to the bantering between the advisors.

Sense Motive (Advisors and Lady Nuyle) - [roll0]
Listen (Take 20) - 22

Cavir
2014-10-22, 05:43 PM
Vankril lays his pack, shield and axe in a corner out of the way then takes a seat as offered. Thank you. He gives a respectful smiling nod to the lord, his lady and Emily. He nods again when given the ledger. He digs in heartily. His attention is toward the head of the table, getting an idea of the man and family he is to protect. He'll gladly answer any questions posed to him, keeping to a positive atmosphere.

Atsull
2014-10-22, 06:35 PM
Emily giggles and points at some of the drawings in Eli's sketchbook. Glad to have Emily distracted, Lord Nuyle turns to Ksingtash.

"There have been 3 attempts so far. The first time, a sniper with a crossbow attempted to shoot me while I was talking with some friends outside. The second time, a Clockwork Explosive, like the ones the dwarves use for mining, was shipped to me, rigged to explode 2 seconds after the package was opened. Luckily, it misfired and exploded while nobody was in the room. The third time was a little more... upsetting. He sighs, and then continues talking.

"I was given the title of lord by the king after serving with him in battle. Interesting times, but it's a story for later. My father unfortunately, died while I was away in the army. I went to visit his grave a few weeks ago. While I was at my father's burial site, a villager ran at me with a axe. He was only a few feet away when the arrows finally wore him down. My mage, who was traveling with me at the time, found that the man was being controlled by some form of magic. We had to leave almost immediately." He looks sad for a moment, but cheers up soon.

"Let's not talk of that during breakfast, though. Especially not in front of my Emily. Lord Nuyle rustles his daughter's hair, and begins a vicious assault on some pork.

Lord Nuyle obviously feels uncomfortable talking about the attempts on his life, but it seems like he realizes he must talk about it.

A scholar you identify as Emily's history teacher is furious with the psionics teacher, but he's trying to hide it.

Atsull
2014-10-22, 06:37 PM
After finishing his piece of meat, Lord Nuyle looks at Vankril. "We don't get many dwarves around here. Are you from a local city, or a far-off stronghold?"

Cavir
2014-10-22, 07:02 PM
I'm from the Barak clan stronghold in the mountains. Clanggedin has called me to master the art of fighting so my clan gave me their blessing to train at the battle school here under Master Djanriss. Perhaps you know of him? Now I seek to make use of my skills to honor Clanggedin, Moradin, and my clan."

Vankril turns to Emily. Have you learned about the dwarven gods yet? There are quite a few and endless stories to tell of them. If she hasn't, he'll give a quick intro for Clanggedin Silverbeard and Moradin, all in a cheery mood.

Is there a name for the mountains to the east?

Atsull
2014-10-22, 07:26 PM
The mountains to the East are called the Haletians. They're is one large mountain, and two very small mountains, grouped together in a cluster

"Yeah, I have! They're all short and have beards and kill giants! Emily says excitedly.

"Emily is currently studying Dwarven lore with her religion tutor. She's really enjoying it." Nuyle says, smiling. "And to answer your question, Yes I do know master Djanriss. He and I were in the same regiment together, commanded by the king, who was a prince back then. Scary times, but once again that's a story for another time. And I'm sure Emily doesn't want to hear it again." He looks at Emily, who rolls her eyes.

Atsull
2014-10-22, 09:40 PM
You finish up breakfast, and make small talk for a little while as servants clean up the dishes. Lord Nuyle then invites you to the war room.

A huge map of Boyminster sits under a glass case in the center of the war room, and bookshelves dot the sides of the room. Lord Nuyle, along with Lady Nuyle, leans over the glass, and begins speaking. "The merchants from Ivarole come into today. They bring all sorts of goods, and we always buy large amounts of goods to stock up the manor. I want to oversee the dealings, and Emily and my wife always like to see it. Plus, I have some personal items to buy." His voice begins to trail off, as if he doesn't know what to say. Lady Nuyle quickly fills the silence.

"I haven't had much time to get to know you. I'm Drusilia." She says, smiling warmly. "I manage most of the economic and logistical going-ons for the palace.

"Yes, She manages all the stuff I would otherwise forget." Lord Nuyle says. So, do you have any questions about today?

Cavir
2014-10-22, 09:55 PM
Let's start with the standard stuff. Where on the map is this taking place? What security do you already have planned? Will the city guard be there in force? Are they well skilled and led? Will the three of you stay together while there? Any idea if your enemy is focused on you only and have the honor to not attack your family instead?

Atsull
2014-10-22, 10:07 PM
"I certainly hope they don't want to hurt my family, but I simply don't know at this point. There will be some of my footsoldiers there, but they're not going to be assigned specific posts. Emily will stick with Drusilia, but I need to go split off and take care of some business personally. I'd like it if you, Ksingtash, would come with me when I have to do that. If I took all six of you, he may fear we want to rob him. He's the best in what I need, but he can be... difficult." He says.

"The whole thing will be taking place at the northeastern markets."

Marlowe
2014-10-23, 12:34 AM
Gazala listens to the stories with a growing cold anger. So it's murder already. Well, if he wishes not in front of the children, then not in front of the children. So what she says is: "I'm presuming the meeting will be held indoors? In a location we can examine first? Well, in any event..." she puts a thumb over her mouth and thinks quickly. "Do you think you can arrange me a wheelbarrow, some grocery items, and some old rags to cover my leathers? I have an urge to pretend to be a fruit-and-vegetable vendor for the day. I suspect crawling around on roofs will just cause trouble."

Atsull
2014-10-23, 12:47 AM
"I know the man we'll be dealing with personally, so I trust him. But I want Ksingtash with me so we'll know if anyone else is there." He says, turning to Gazala. As for the vendor disguise, I would really rather have your presence obvious. I would rather prevent an attack with intimidation than catch an attacker."

Marlowe
2014-10-23, 12:50 AM
Gazala grins. "In that case, you don't have a red cape and some gloryborn light armour lying around do you?"

Atsull
2014-10-23, 01:03 AM
"I do not, but you could probably pick up something a little more flashy from the blacksmith before we go."

The Great Wyrm
2014-10-23, 07:44 AM
The plan sounds good. I guess the rest of us will guard Emily and Lady Nuyle while you conduct your private business?

Atsull
2014-10-23, 08:55 AM
"That sounds great. I'll be with Emily and Drusilia once I finish this business."

The Great Wyrm
2014-10-23, 07:08 PM
I just got an idea. Are the dogs in your kennel already trained for guarding? If they aren't, I could train them for you, and they could help protect you. In my experience, a competent guard dog is nearly as good as a human guard -- and better in some situations.

Atsull
2014-10-23, 07:12 PM
The markets are about 40 minutes away on foot, so Lord Nuyle suggests you all take horses to the markets. He has a carriage, he says, but he absolutely hates riding on it. It's time for you to visit the various shops, or make conversation, before you leave. Here's what you can do:

Order something from the:
Weaponsmith
Artificer (Magic Items)
Bowman
Armorer

Or talk to anyone at the castle.

Remember you'll only be paying for 2/3 of the material cost for items, and that you all have 200 gp already.

Atsull
2014-10-23, 07:22 PM
"They're loyal hunting dogs, but they're not trained as guard dogs. If you'd like to go see them though, be my guest."

Yas392
2014-10-23, 07:33 PM
Understandable. I'll prepare before I'll accompany you, Lord Nuyle. If I may, am I allow to forge a link between us as to keep a close watch on you?

Still waiting for that listen check, Atsull...

If Nuyle permits, Ksingtash will use his racial mindlink on him.

Atsull
2014-10-23, 07:39 PM
"Yes, that will be fine. I've dealt with psychic works before."

Your listen check comes up the same as Gazala's

Cavir
2014-10-23, 07:47 PM
Dogs are a good idea. Maybe Emily needs to get a pet, to protect her and for her to help raise.

Ksingtash, maybe you can use that link with me while you two are away so we'll know if help is needed.

Do the banks do loans? What are the terms? I do have a steady job! I'd be interested in masterwork breastplate but will need 100gp (depending what the Lord's discount actually is, see OOC) or wait at least two weeks. That'd be impressive looking as the Lord's personal bodyguard.

The Great Wyrm
2014-10-23, 08:04 PM
I'd like to see if the armorer can make masterwork chain shirt barding for my dog Nychro.

((100 gp * 2) + 150 gp) * 2/3 = 233.33 gp (could buy in one week)
Alternately, ((100 gp * 2) + 150 gp) * 8/9 = 311 gp (could buy in two weeks)
Selling the old leather barding will give 10 gp, assuming selling at 50% value.
By the time the armorsmith finishes making the new barding (probably more than a week), I'll have enough money to buy it.

Also, I'd like to take a look at the hunting dogs, if time remains.

I'd like to know what tricks the hunting dogs already know, so I know how many I can teach them.

Yas392
2014-10-23, 08:40 PM
Ksingtash weigh the options and chooses to link with Cavir. Yes, reinforcement averts the risk of death. Now, clear your mind and accept my bond.

I am confused. What did Gazala get from her listen check?

Atsull
2014-10-23, 08:42 PM
The Armorer is a skilled, old dwarf, who is definitely capable of almost any task you take to him.

The hunting dogs know the word "Kill", and on command they'll try to knock a target to the ground and rip their necks. They're obedient and well trained, and will stick with you without wandering off much. Just about anything other than stay, follow, kill, and retrieve will need to be taught to them

Banks offer loans of up to 4x your net worth. Interest depends on your occupation and loan amount, but it'll be in the neighborhood of 6% monthly.

The Great Wyrm
2014-10-23, 09:01 PM
(to the smith)
I'd like you to make some chain shirt barding for my dog, of the highest quality you can. How long will it take, and how much should I pay you?

So, they know Attack, Fetch, Heel, and Stay. That means they have room for two more tricks (dogs have Int 2). I'll teach them Guard first.

It looks like I can improve the dogs' skills. It will take about a month, so it can wait to start until we're done at the market.

Cavir
2014-10-23, 09:33 PM
If you can link with Lord Nuyle and switch it to me during the meeting that would be ideal but I don't understand your powers. You share thoughts that way?

Hearing of a fellow dwarf around, Vankril will eagerly go have a chat with him once the current strategizing is done. Vankril has some skill with crafting armor and weapons, though assuredly not the skill level of the armorer. He will inquire about a masterwork breastplate his size. Assuming he doesn't happen to have a set handy, he'll ask about how long it would take to make and when payment is due (all up front, deposit, all upon completion...). Depending on the answers he may have to stop at the bank later to see about a loan.

Atsull
2014-10-23, 10:09 PM
To Kanthal
"Funnily enough, I have dog barding in stock. Lord Nuyle likes it around for the hunting dogs. I have a set of ordinary steel chain, but I also have some elven chain. What would you like?"

The chain barding is 240 gp, and gives a +3 bonus to AC. it will make Nychro move 10ft. slower per turn.
The Elven chain barding is 380 gp, and also give a +3 to AC, but there is no movement penalty.

To Vankril
"Och, wonderful to see another stone brother 'round here!" The smith says happily. "What'll you be needin', lad?" The dwarf listens intently as you make your request.

I have some nicer breastplates lying around, but I could make you a finer one with some Dwarven metal, not this surface steel." He says. So, what do you say? I could also reinforce that axe for you."

A masterwork, +1 Breastplate will be only 250 gp, since the smith knows how to be more efficient with materials when making armor for a dwarf.

The Dwarven Alloy breastplate is a +2 breastplate, but with a -1 to armor check penalty. It's 320 gp.

The smith can reinforce your axe with dwarven alloy, giving it 10 more hitpoints and +1 to DMG rolls.

Marlowe
2014-10-24, 01:45 AM
Gazala adds her own request to the armourer. "If it's not too much trouble, the boss wants us to be conspicuous to act as a deterrant. So I'm going to want something lightweight that gives decent protection, but flashy. Skulls, flames, silly occult symbols you made up yourself, that sort of thing. And skimpy. As skimpy as you can make it without setting me up for a swift disemboweling. The sort of thing the evil sorceress in a bad saga wears when she's trying to seduce the barbarian hero. I want people who look at me to think that there is no way in hell I'm attempting to be inconspicuous. Or possess any brain cells whatsoever. Is any of that doable?"

The Great Wyrm
2014-10-24, 06:58 AM
I actually wanted chain shirt barding, which would be light armor, and thus not reduce move speed. It would only increase Nychro's AC by 2, however. How much would this cost?

Yas392
2014-10-24, 07:41 AM
Ksingtash stands like a teacher.

No, it does not work like that. Advance technique such as telepathy is beyond my level. What my inheritance can do is to establish a mental link with only one recipient and only one if they are willing. The link will enable us to telepathically send forth and back messages. The differences between telepathy and my racial ability is that telepathy is more flexible since it can switch between channels or minds. However, the advantage of my innate ability is that it has an everlasting duration and operates without fail no matter the distance unlike telepathy which has a considerable but limited distance. I am limited to one person once a day so make your mind before I default to one.

The psion looks apologetic.

Do you have any more questions or objections?

Atsull
2014-10-24, 09:06 AM
To Kanthal

"Ah, ye want some of the lighter stuff! Should'a asked for light chain, that's what I call it." The dwarf says. I don't have any o' that in stock, but I can make it in, oh, three days, maybe four. It'll be around 240 gp for the steel, so considerin' the lord will be paying fer a third, it'll be 180 outta yer pocket. sound good?"

To Gazala

Oh, I have some battlemage armer lyin' around. Note quite what you're lookin' fer, but lots a flashy symbols and runes that apparently do some'en. Here it is." The Dwarves grabs a suit of armour from the back and hauls it up to show you.

The armor has an ac of +4, a armor check penalty of -2, and no arcane spell failure chance (That's what the runes are) It will be 290 gp.

Marlowe
2014-10-24, 09:29 AM
Gazala shakes her laugh, because laughing would be rude. "I'm sorry to have wasted your time, but that's a downgrade from what I'm wearing now. And at more than eleven times the price. Maybe you've just got some particular gaudy masterwork Studded Leather--but at this rate, maybe I'd be better off finding out where Everlyn buys her clothes and saving for some proper mithral chain."

The Great Wyrm
2014-10-24, 11:37 AM
(to armorer)
Yes, light chain is what I want. The price sounds fine. I'll get you the gold as soon as I visit the bank.

Cavir
2014-10-24, 12:42 PM
To Ksingtash:
There's nothing to be sorry about. That is an amazing skill! If Lord Nuyle is ok with it, I'd say normally link with him but link with me today since you will be with him. I'll not resist on purpose.

To the armorer:
Well met! The Dwarven armor sounds grand. I need to stop by the bank first. I am also interested in the axe work, how much?. How long will they take? Are the payments made up front or upon delivery? When the time comes I suppose I should pick up another weapon so that I have something to defend Lord Nuyle with. I don't know how much free time I'll have but if I have time I'd be honored to help with the armor. I've spent some time at a forge but no where near your experience.

So magical armor is automatically masterwork which is normally 1 better ACP. I'm guessing the Dwarf Alloy cancels that out, which is fine.
My craft (armor) is at +5. They probably have masterwork equipment so I'd be up to +7. Should be decent for Assisting while I'm off duty and not in the practice yard.

Yas392
2014-10-24, 02:10 PM
Cavir

He focuses on drawing the energies from his being. Concentrating, he urges it connect with the dwarven mind. Once the connection has been established, a bond is forged and the voiced thoughts can be now be transmitted freely between the two. Ksingtash opens his eyes and looks at Cavir. It is done.

Armourer

Hello, I do hope that you have some protection that might fit a mage such as myself. It needs to be feathery. Not a protection gear with feathers but the weight must be almost weightless and offer good enough protection to cover the vital areas. Please show me the cheapest selection. I am afraid I am running low on funds.

Atsull
2014-10-24, 02:30 PM
Sorry, I made a mistake. the battlemage armor is a +4 to AC.

Ksingtash

"I have some specialized armor fer ye. It's padded armor with tough leather pads over the vital points. It's about 4 pounds. I can give it to ya fer 70 pieces."

It's a +2 to ac, and reduces damage dealt by criticial hits by 4. no arcane spell failure chance or armor check penalty.

I'll have Vankril's armor in a couple of hours, as i have to go

Marlowe
2014-10-24, 03:39 PM
Gazala shakes her head again. "That is still no improvement over a simple chain shirt I could get for half the price. For what you're asking it would have to be light as gossamer and dazzle the angels from the shine of its spaulders. You're sure you have nothing else?" She leans in close and speaks low. "Come up with something good and I won't mention to the Druid how you're barking him out of 20gp"

Atsull
2014-10-24, 05:24 PM
The Dwarf steps back, angry. "Wot, you think I'm scamming 'em? That's insulting! You better be careful or I'll tell Lord Nuyle about yer attitude!"

Yas392
2014-10-24, 06:17 PM
Any other specialized armours? You do not have just one design, do you?

Atsull
2014-10-24, 06:29 PM
"I have plenty, lad. Can you be a little more specific 'bout what yer lookin' fer?"

Marlowe
2014-10-24, 07:27 PM
Gazala looks back coolly; "I'm sure My Lord knows that two-thirds of 240 is not 180.".

Atsull
2014-10-24, 08:29 PM
"The extra 20 is for the work it takes to make dog barding. Any idea how hard that is? and besides, I've known his family for three generations now." The dwarf says. "If you think he'll take your side even for a second, you're wrong. But hey, maybe I take a look in the back. Maybe I find some'in." The dwarf sighs and walks back to the back of the smith. As he walks, you can hear him muttering to himself. F*cking half-fiends... She would'n last a day in a stronghold!"

Eventually, he comes out with three sets of armor. One is leather with steel plates over vitals, another is Padded cloth reinforced with thin plates of Dwarven Alloy. And Finally, the piece which the Smith is proudest of, A set of Ivarolan-style battlemage plate. It's full plate armor, with a complete helmet. runes are placed on the shoulders, the temples and the chest of the suit. "Anything here look good?

The Plate is a +7 to ac, a -5 armor check penalty, and -10ft./round to movement. there is no arcane spell failure chance. It will cost you 600 gp.

The Dwarven alloy-padded armor is a +3 to AC, with no penalties of anykind. It's 90 gp.

The Leather with steel plates is +5, a -4 armor check penalty, and a -5ft./round movement speed. it's 200 gp.

Marlowe
2014-10-24, 11:36 PM
"Now we're getting somewhere." Gazala picks up the Alloy-reinforced padded, testing its weight. "If this comes to less than twenty pounds standard, preferably less than fifteen, we have a deal. Hellfire, if it comes to fourteen or less I'll give you another twenty gold to get the padding dyed a suitably belligerent shade of red--actually, hold that thought--better try purple, it'll blend better at night. You understand" She says with a raised eyebrow, for he obviously doesn't have a clue. "As a baby-munching, fire-walking, wall-crawling, wise-cracking spawn of the elder night I don't have to worry about armour interfering with anything. What concerns me is weight. I'm not big and I can't afford to walking around in something that weighs more than I do."

Atsull
2014-10-24, 11:51 PM
"Dwarven alloy is the finest stuff there is. The whole suit should only weigh about 12 pounds." The Dwarf says. "As for the dye, I don't keep pigments in stock. You could pick some up at the market, though.

Marlowe
2014-10-25, 12:05 AM
"Was not suggesting you do it yourself--was just thinking you might know somebody and could make the arrangements, since my employment is based on being around being in a certain place and not spending my days haunting the markets--well, I'll take it as is." She says firmly. "Extra twenty if you can get somebody to flash it up in the next couple of days without ruining the weight and fit. Deal?"

She gives the Fullplate a sidelong look. "This stuff needs to be fitted to the wearer. Odd you had some in my size. Do you sell a lot of plate to short human girls with the figure of a stick insect?"

Atsull
2014-10-25, 12:33 AM
"the small stick design is popular among mages." He says, grinning "You can just ask Lord Nuyle if he'll grab some pigment along with everything else they're getting from Ivarole. He won't mind."

Yas392
2014-10-25, 06:29 AM
I changed my mind. I need a broader selection other than the one you shown me. The ones with other properties other than protecting one's vital area.

Atsull
2014-10-25, 09:53 AM
Mebee you should go see the artificier 'bout that, then."

Marlowe
2014-10-25, 09:59 AM
Gazala clicks her tongue thoughfully. "No Mage I, but the reinforced padded will do. Will you prefer payment in cash or shall I instruct the bank to credit you? Streets are full of clutching fingers, these days."

Atsull
2014-10-25, 10:18 AM
"You can transfer the money to my account. My name is Dulae FrostHammer."

Yas392
2014-10-25, 10:25 AM
Never mind. Just show me the cheapest padded or leather armor you have.

Atsull
2014-10-25, 11:53 AM
"well, I have some simple padded armor lying around. It's only 10 gp."

Yas392
2014-10-25, 09:56 PM
Sorry if I am a bit unclear in the earlier as my tongue slipped and jumbled my request. What I specifically need is a cheap..ahem...not cheapest padded or leather armor made from basic properties like special materials. Special materials like light alloy, mithral and other special materials that are available here.

Marlowe
2014-10-26, 02:37 AM
Seeing Freaky is probably going to take a while to satisfy, Gazala nods to the armorer. "Well, I am satisfied. Thank you, good sir. I will make the arrangements with the bank immediately."

Reality Glitch
2014-10-26, 10:16 AM
I am so sorry for missing this much, I'll try to read through what I missed and catch up.

Atsull
2014-10-26, 11:39 AM
The armorer shows Ksingtash the items he showed Gazala.

Atsull
2014-10-26, 07:07 PM
Is everyone ready to go once Yas buys armor?

The Great Wyrm
2014-10-26, 07:56 PM
Yes. But hasn't Yas said he was dropping out in the OOC thread?

Atsull
2014-10-26, 08:41 PM
Didn't see that. We will begin.

Before you leave, both Ksingtash and Evelyn receive letters. They don't tell you what they say, But they both leave quickly with a worried look on their face.

You all return to Lord Nuyle. You tell him you're ready to go. Everyone else was already prepared. Horses are load with gold to purchase goods with. The trip is uneventful, and you arrive at the market after about 35 minutes. A quick scan of the market reveals a few things: most of the traders sell luxuries, like spices, dyes, cloth, and alcohol. Many of the shoppers are servants, out buying their masters the luxuries they so badly want. A few mechas wander the market, making automated purchases. Lord Nuyle begins telling you the plan.

We'll wait here while they load the shipments. We've already made the deals, we just need to verify identity and give them the gold. Then Emily, Drusilia, and me will head out to purchase our personal items. Emily licks her lips, obviously excited by the exotic smells coming from the shops.

You watch as the crates are loaded on the carts. Spices, Dyes and Ingredients make up most of the items, but You notice some Chocolate, some roses, and some incense being loaded as well. Eventually, The Nuyle family stands up and looks at you. "Since Ksingtash had to go, I will let you decide how you wish to divide yourselves." Emily looks at you, excited.

In case you haven't noticed, Ivarole is an analogue for China/India.

Cavir
2014-10-26, 10:52 PM
Lord Nuyle only wants one to join him. I'll do it unless there's a better idea.

Marlowe
2014-10-27, 05:29 AM
"That one was our mindreader" says Gazala quietly. "Much as your own skills are invaluable, Chopperchap; I'm not sure that you nor any combination of us would represent an adequate substitute. Well, If we wish to keep our presence discrete, I might stay back and go over this house. Make sure I know every possible entrance and exit, if My Lord will grant permission.". She gives Nuyle a nod.

"I'd rather go along, but let's make sure we're ready on all fronts."

The Great Wyrm
2014-10-27, 07:49 AM
We all should definitely go to the market. I think that I am the best suited to protect Lord Nuyle, because given my spellcasting, if he gets wounded I can heal him. For this reason, I would like to go with him on his private dealing. Also, I am the most perceptive of any one of us (best spot/listen), so I will have the best chance of noticing anyone sneaking up.

Marlowe
2014-10-27, 07:54 AM
"As you will. It would grate on me to remain here." Gazala shrugs. Nuyle's wishes and behaviour were already striking her as being full of contradictions. "I'll bring up the rear and look like a tourist."

Cavir
2014-10-27, 08:58 AM
We're already at the markets. The question is how we're splitting up during the Lord's side trip (one person to go with Nuyle).

That's a good idea Kanthal. I'll stay close to the Lady and Emily. Gazala and Eli can stay close or in the area to keep a broader eye on things. Who is in charge of the footsoldiers and where will that person be?

The Great Wyrm
2014-10-27, 11:27 AM
Sounds good. I think Lord Nuyle commands the other guards. I'll tell him that I will accompany him.

Reality Glitch
2014-10-27, 01:40 PM
"Lord Nyule Nuyle only wants one of us with him so I'll stick with Lady and Emily Nuyle."

Atsull
2014-10-27, 05:42 PM
Lord Nuyle Nods. "You seem to know what you're doing. I trust you've mad a good decision." Lord Nuyle hops down from his horse and begins walking towards a inconspicuous black tent, accompanied my Kanthal. Lady Nuyle and Drusilia begin wandering the market with Vankril.

Lord Nuyle stands outside the tent. You can hear a ticking from the inside, and the smell of oil hangs in the air. "Anything you want to do before we enter?" He says to Kanthal.

Marlowe
2014-10-27, 06:25 PM
Gazala, seeing everything is turning itself-shaped, makes a show of browsing the stalls while keeping the black tent well in her sight. She'll trust Vankril to look to the lady for now, but tries to stay within sight.

Bluff: (To look like a casual shopper)[roll0]
Spot [roll1]
Listen [roll2]
Sense Motive [roll3]

Atsull
2014-10-27, 07:01 PM
I'm going to do this very plainly because I don't have time for flavor text right now.

You stand out pretty clearly as a fighter, but people assume that you're just here to shop.

You don't see anything interesting.

You can't hear anything over the yelling of the merchants.

A few of the servants look nervous, a young half-elf is obviously a pickpocket who is too scared of you to come near, and some of the mechanized servants seem sketchy.

Reality Glitch
2014-10-27, 09:47 PM
I forgot to give a description o what my character looks like. He has short hair except for a rat-tail braid in the back that extends to his knees; he wear a white tunic with the same insignia on it as the one my forum avatar is wear except the insignia itself is purple; his trousers are basically the same as my avatar except they reach close enough to the ground to cover his feet.

"Hey Emily! :smallsmile: Is there anything you'd like me to draw for you?"

Cavir
2014-10-27, 10:08 PM
As the noble family and the party wait for the shipments to be loaded Vankril makes a note that both groups can hear. If you see or sense something suspicious, even if you aren't sure about it, scratch your left ear then your left shoulder. That will be the signal.

As Lord Noyle and Kanthal head off, Vankril stays with Lady Drusilia and Emily. His over-sized axe resting on his right shoulder ensuring that it is easily noticed and that he is there to protect them. Even a low wisdom person would not want to get too close and get accidentally cut, yet he is careful about it not happening by accident. He has his goggles on that protect him from the bright sunlight. Vankril varies his position relative to the females- ahead, behind, to either side, all to be less predictable and in the best position to react to the most likely angle of attack. He keeps an eye on the ladies, his counterparts, the crowd around them, and higher points such as windows and rooftops.

Probably need a bunch of these if this will take a while. Let me know how many to roll or Atsull can just roll them.
Spot [roll0]
Listen [roll1]
Sense Motive [roll2]

Atsull
2014-10-27, 10:31 PM
"A Dwarf! With a big hammer, and an even bigger shield, and an even BIGGER beard!" She says excitedly.

Reality Glitch
2014-10-27, 10:49 PM
He chuckles a little bit. "Alright; I should have it done in a day or two."

The Great Wyrm
2014-10-28, 09:36 AM
(to Lord Nuyle)
No, I'm ready to go in. Would you like Nychro to come with us?

Atsull
2014-10-28, 07:39 PM
"I don't think he'll mind." Lord Nuyle says, before turning and walking inside.
The rapid, irregular ticking gets louder, the smell of oil is stronger, and you can no hear someone grunting, as well as the whirring and clanking of machinery. Inside is an incredible display: Watches, cover the walls, as well as some weaponry and tools. One item catches your eye in particular: A large Bronze bell, about the size of one on the end of a trombone, is attached to an intricately carved piece of wood. A complex bronze mechanism sits on the top of the tool, just behind where the metal and the wood meet. A gnome sits at a stool near the center of the room. He looks studiously at a small piece of metal in his lap, which is revealed to be a pocket watch upon closer inspection.

Without looking up, he speaks, quickly. "Who did you bring, James? Actually, let me tell you. Human male. Just out of adolescence. Speaks Sylvan. He loves that dog about as much as a dwarf loves gold. And you... Like him. But the dog... I can't get a read on him. Weird." He gets up from the stool, and grins at Lord Nuyle. He places the watch, a screwdriver still jammed into the middle of it, on a table. "Yes, of course I have them in stock. Yes, the boy's got the stomach for it. And yes, I have a mecha like that. Glittergold's gest, James. You think I didn't know what you would want? Zook Berensen. Psychic Engineer. You can call me doublelock." The gnomes sticks out his hand and shakes yours. You notice that the screwdriver in the watch is still turning, quickly darting out and jabbing back into a gear in the watch. The gnome must be controlling it telekinetically.

Come here, James. Zook leads you to a back room, where a large light illuminates a table shaped like a huge anvil. Kanthal, The gnome tells me this won't bother you, and I trust him. but feel free to leave the room if you can't handle it." He rolls up his sleeves and his glove, revealing a whirring, ticking, mechanical arm. Just below the elbow, Flesh and Metal meld in a horrifying array. Zook takes a second to look at the arm, before digging in with a tool. You have to be more careful, James. You don't want me to have to replace this thing."After tinkering with the gears for a moment, he opens a panel on the arm, revealing a white stone, carved into a cylinder. He takes it out carefully. As soon as it leaves the socket, Nuyle's arm falls limp. He places a strange glowing stone inside, and Nuyle's arm comes alive once again.

"Done. I'll ship the mecha to the palace." The watch flies through the hallway, straight onto the table. Zook immediately begins working on it once again. You walk out into the main room with lord Nuyle. "So, that was a lot for you. Any questions before we leave?"

The Great Wyrm
2014-10-28, 08:47 PM
Sure, if you don't mind my curiosity.
Why is your arm mechanical?
What does the stone do? Is it a power source?
Why did Zook say that you had to be more careful?
What is a mecha?
Why don't you want anybody finding out about all this?

Atsull
2014-10-28, 08:57 PM
"I lost my arm in the War of the Candles." He says. The stone is a power source, and it needs to be replaced every 6 months or so. I need to be more careful because I got a decent amount of dirt in the thing since last check-up. I don't keep it secret, I just don't feel the need to share it. The arm can be... unsettling to some.

Mechas are essentially clockwork robots. The more advanced ones are actually sentient and can learn.

The Great Wyrm
2014-10-28, 09:04 PM
Thanks for telling me. What else do we need at this market?

Do I know what the War of the Candles is?

Atsull
2014-10-28, 09:07 PM
Nothing, but Drusilia and Emily want to browse. We'll join them.

You do. I'll make a post about it.

Atsull
2014-10-28, 09:20 PM
The war of the candles was a huge war fought mainly between Halten and Bluyan (Bluyan is a country dominated by dwarves NE of Halten), as well as several smaller states. It began when a spy from Halten was caught in Bluyan. While the spy refused to blow his cover, and Halten Refused to admit that they spying on Bluyan. The king of Bluyan, Karl Halderom IV, ordered the man to be burned at the stake. The king of Halten was outraged and declared war. A huge series of alliances were triggered, sending almost all of Andalaysia into war. Bluyan and Halten rampaged across the small states in between the two countries, invading eachother's vassals and making the conflict worse. As an added insult, Bluyan soldiers would burn at the stake the ruler or other nobles of any city they conquered, singing a song which went "We'll light up your richmen like candles, Light up the city, Light up the town!" It is for this reason it was called the war of the candles.

Overall public opinion of the war was negative, and the use of psychological warfare by Bluyan has earned them a bad reputation among the countries of Andalysia. In the end, Bluyan and Halten agreed to return the territories they had invaded to the royal families who used to control them.

Atsull
2014-10-29, 08:38 PM
Kanthal and Lord Nuyle join up with the rest of the group. They wander around for a bit, Emily begging for almost anything she sees. Soon, however, Gazala sees something concerning: 2 men, in black, hooded robes stand near one of the alleys feeding into the square, worried, she scans the area and spots yet another hooded figured on one of the rooftops. They are armed, but not showing it off. Crossbows hang at their hips, just barely visible as outlines through their robes. As their robes move, you can see sabers shining at their hips. They're not doing anything aggressive, but they're looking at the Nuyle family intently.

What will you do?

If some kind of projectile/explosive came towards the Nuyle Family, would you throw yourself into the way of it? Please answer individually.

Cavir
2014-10-29, 09:26 PM
Vankril and his heavy shield would block it- fighting defensively and full defense for the extra AC. If/when Gazala points out the situation to us, I'll suggest that Lord Nuyle that he redeploy his footsoldiers to be in a better position to respond and assume there is a non-obvious element too.

Reality Glitch
2014-10-29, 10:39 PM
What will you do?

If some kind of projectile/explosive came towards the Nuyle Family, would you throw yourself into the way of it? Please answer individually.(( Search/Spot check: [roll0]; if I notice the "hooded Figures" as well, I draw a toon ninja to also hide among the roof tops. On that note, I'd throw a toon to intercept, but otherwise try to pull them out of the way without putting myself in harm. ))

Marlowe
2014-10-29, 10:41 PM
Gazala grits her teeth. Really should have worked out a signal between the group of us. Well, lesson for tomorrow if we live that long.. Instead she quickens her pace and moves to catch up with the group; shouting like a harridan. "Kanthal! You Toad-Touching Bull-diking French-Polishing Potato-Masher! You've got a lot of nerve coming here! Where's my money, Kanthal? Where's my sister?" Soon as she gets close she speaks low and quick. "Two men by the alley. One on roof. Cloaks. Crossbows. Shortswords.Get the family under cover. I should have put my boot in you soon as saw you! Push me away and call me a name. Make it look good"."

If he obliges, she'll shout a curse after the party, then try to find a discrete wall to go up and draw a bead on the rooftop fellow.

Bluff (to make he act look convincing)[roll0]
Hide (to vanish afterward and get up a wall) [roll1]

It's our job. I'd do it and hope somebody would stabilize me afterward. Not a sitch I'd like to be in.

Atsull
2014-10-29, 11:08 PM
Eli does not see the attackers. People believe Gazala's Ruse.

Cavir
2014-10-30, 06:02 AM
Vankril takes a quick look around for both the men Gazala mentioned and the options for safety. A close by building with a door that would be unlocked (store, temple?) would be best for cover and concealment, a larger tent for concealment, near a group of his footsoldiers or city guard, where the horses are relative to the group/attackers, and the exits from the market (streets and alleys).

Is the lord armed and armored?

Atsull
2014-10-30, 08:35 AM
Lord Nuyle carries a short sword. He's very skilled with it.

A nearby church could be used as cover. You can hear monks practicing inside.

Cavir
2014-10-30, 09:16 AM
M'lord, I suggest we quickly take the family inside the church, something's afoot.

Vankril will politely guide the nobles just into the church. He'll stay at the door watching outside, entrusting the Lord to handle the diplomacy with the church representative. If he catches the attention of one of the foot soldiers he'll beckon him to come over.

Reality Glitch
2014-10-30, 09:37 AM
she quickens her pace and moves to catch up with the group; shouting like a harridan. "Kanthal! You Toad-Touching Bull-diking French-Polishing Potato-Masher! You've got a lot of nerve coming here! Where's my money, Kanthal? Where's my sister? I should have put my boot in you soon as saw you!"Eli, not knowing what's going on step in to break up what he thinks is an actually fight. "Whoa! Whoa! What's going on. Unless I wasn't there for something, the two of you have no quarrel with each other. Now, get it together enough that we can do our job."

The Great Wyrm
2014-10-30, 09:57 AM
Calm down! You won't get your money if you kill me. Besides, knowing you, the collateral damage could be catastrophic -- we're in the middle of a market. Let's talk it out in the church.
Yes, I would. After all, it's our job.
I walk up next to Lord Nuyle, so that he will be within the radius of Obsucring Mist if I cast it.
If those hooded people look like they will attack imminently, I will cast Obscuring Mist to cover Lord Nuyle and myself.

Marlowe
2014-10-30, 11:25 AM
"Think I'm going into an enclosed space with petticoating fliggitigibbits like yourself and your Dwarf Battlemage; you're madder than a balloon!--going up the walls and after the roofer; you guys take ground level--I'd rather go to bed with a Mindflayer!--Ow. I think I just hurt my brain--You give me what we're owed!" She lunges into him and then falls back as if pushed. "Fine! I'll see you pay! I'm going to tell Balalaika!"

Well. This is fun.

Will use SPIDERWALK, which allows her to SPIDERCLIMB at will, to go up a wall and after the rooftop sniper as soon as she can lose herself in the crowd (should have worn a shawl she can drop in a hurry). No climb check needed.

Atsull
2014-11-01, 10:42 AM
Gazala easily ducks into the crowd, and begins climbing up the building. Some people in the crowd notice her, but the robed men do not. The crossbowman on the rooftops continues to watch as The Nuyle family enters the church with the rest of the group. The two robed men begin walking briskly towards the church.

The rest of the group stand near the doorway, and the Nuyle family takes cover a little further back in the church, behind some pews. Just as everyone gets into cover, Gazala reaches the edge of the building, here head just under the ledge. The archer is directly above her.

Kanthal decides obscuring mist would just make the men harder to hit once they enter the church.

Gazala, You can attack the crossbowman at any time. The rest of the group has one turn to prepare for until the robed men reach them.

Reality Glitch
2014-11-01, 11:52 AM
Eli speaks to the air in front of him where the other two used to stand just seconds earlier. "I know my presence is akin to that of chopped liver, but that was uncalled for." He turns back to Emily. "I heard that your tutors are very knowledgable, have they taught you anything interesting yet?"

Atsull
2014-11-01, 12:19 PM
Vankril has told Eli whats going on.

The Great Wyrm
2014-11-01, 02:34 PM
In my one round of preparation:
I cast Guidance on Vankril (giving him +1 to next attack, save, or check).
I then ready a move action to move between an attack and Lord Nuyle (jump in the way, basically).
Finally, as a free action, I tell Nychro to, using the Guard trick, protect Lord Nuyle and his family from any attackers.
(if you'll let me fine-tune Nychro's actions)
Nychro readies an action to move up to and attack anyone who attacks Lord Nuyle or any of his family members.

Nychro looks at the robed figures and growls menacingly.

Reality Glitch
2014-11-01, 02:45 PM
Vankril has told Eli whats going on.Really? :smallconfused: Beacuase I can't find where he says that.

Cavir
2014-11-01, 03:10 PM
Come on Eli, inside, unless you think you can take on two sword-fighters by yourself. I'll hold the door while you can draw something up quick.

Vankril lets Eli in past him then stands ready just inside the door, visible to those outside but still getting some cover from rooftop attacks. Shield and giant axe at the ready, they will have to go through him.

Punishing Stance off. Ready action for defensive (-4 to attack, +2 AC -->AC19) attack.

Reality Glitch
2014-11-01, 04:20 PM
Come on Eli, inside, unless you think you can take on two sword-fighters by yourself. I'll hold the door while you can draw something up quick.

Vankril lets Eli in past him then stands ready just inside the door, visible to those outside but still getting some cover from rooftop attacks. Shield and giant axe at the ready, they will have to go through him."Oh! :smalleek: Um.... :smallconfused: O.K.?" Eli rushes in and ducks around the door frame. Sitting on the floor with his back against the wall next to the door that was closed behind him, he quickly sketches the first thing that comes to his mind, and summons .... a dwarf. The sketchy-looking paper contruct, sword and shield in hand, stands blocking the entrance alongside Vankril. 2nd-level Astral Contruct (Buff).

Marlowe
2014-11-01, 05:18 PM
The hooded figures haven't actually done anything illegal or hostile yet, although they might perhaps be accused of being a little foolish if their intentions are good.

Gazala decides against starting her career with an act of unprovoked assault and holds her blast, ready to hit the crossbowman should he twitch his weapon at Nuyle's general direction.

Come on then. Twitch.

Cavir
2014-11-03, 08:04 PM
Vankril glances at Eli's artwork. Hmmm. Make it stand outside to the side of the door and defend itself if attacked?

If the construct moves to step outside, Vankril allows it past and resumes his blocking of the door, ready to strike.

I've only gone through the Animator page quickly so I don't know the capabilities, numbers, duration, etc, especially at only 1st level. I'm playing it that Vankril doesn't know either and hasn't seen anything yet. Between that and his CHA 7, he might sound demanding but don't take it as being demanding OOC.

Reality Glitch
2014-11-04, 11:26 AM
If the construct moves to step outside, Vankril allows it past and resumes his blocking of the door, ready to strike.The construct materialized outside; it started it's existance standing next to The door.

Atsull
2014-11-05, 05:26 PM
I'm sorry, but I have to abandon this. I lost someone close to me.

Atsull
2015-03-31, 09:09 PM
I'm Back. How do you guys feel about getting this going again?

I totally understand if you've all moved on, but I had big plans for this and wouldn't mind DMing again.

I lost my brother, who's been fighting ALS for a while now. It was tough, but not a surprise. Sorry for the sudden leave.

Cavir
2015-03-31, 09:22 PM
Welcome back! I'm still here and interested.
You might need to PM any that don't respond in case they are subscribed here anymore.

Atsull
2015-03-31, 09:30 PM
I'll give them a day, then go PMing.

Marlowe
2015-03-31, 09:33 PM
Gazala feels a sudden moment of vertigo as she clings to the wall, as though a great expanse of time had passed in seconds. Then she feels steady again. Huh. That was weird. He twitched yet?

Atsull
2015-04-02, 11:01 AM
We have kanthal, vankril, and gazala. We'll recruit after the fight.

Atsull
2015-04-02, 11:38 AM
The man aims his crossbow carefully, and then shows the telling twitch of a bolt being fired. Gazala leaps at the bowman, only to find another man, down low, awaiting her. He reaches out his hand, and with a sharp flash of purple light, a sensation of cold encases your joints, and you fall to the ground, your limbs unmoving. The crossbow bolt spins through the air with blinding speed, and slams into vankril's shield. The bolt throws back vankril, but he easily recovers, only to find the head of the bolt peeking out of the back of your shield. Now, the robed men in the square run towards you, scimitars drawn. The crowd is beginning to panic. Meanwhile, the rooftop sniper reloads his bow. The Mage who paralyzed Gazala now turns her stiff body over onto her back, so that she can see him. A tanned, rough face greets you, surrounded by the warm scent of tobacco. He looks at you, panicked but attempting a calmer composition.

"Who are you!? What are you doing? Who is your employer? he pulls a scimitar out and holds it against your throat, with his other hand forming a spell. You feel your joints free, but you're still held down by his sword. The sniper, his bow reloaded, aims it carefully at your head.

Cavir
2015-04-02, 02:40 PM
As Vankril recovers from the shield impact he instinctively breaks off the bolt on the face side of the shield with the door frame. The waraxe is in his right hand with the head of the axe by his left foot. Just as the robed men get within reach he momentarily swings his shield out to the side giving him room to start an upward diagonal swing to the right with a flick of his hips. The slice aims to cut the left target from low to high. With a flick of his wrist the swing continues smoothly diagonally down to the right at the right side target, to slice him from high to low. The shield is right back in place for defense.

Maneuver: Steel Wind: make two melee attacks, each against a different foe that you threaten
Left target:
Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
Crit: [roll2]
Crit Damage: [roll3]

Right target:
Attack: [roll4]
Damage: [roll5]
Crit: [roll6]
Crit Damage: [roll7]

Atsull
2015-04-02, 02:57 PM
The fighter on your left smoothly winds out of the way, but his partner has no such luck. The blade digs into his shoulder, crunching through bone large way to the middle of his spine. You pull out your weapon and allow his body to collapse to the floor. He yells at the top of his lungs as he dies, and gazala watches as the sniper spins around and focuses another shot.

(Gazala has turn to act if she likes)

Marlowe
2015-04-02, 07:07 PM
[Why did I leap at the bowman? I had to reason to move at all. I could have blasted him fine just from where I was.:smallfurious:]

Atsull
2015-04-02, 07:19 PM
I just meant leap into action. You acted, and his bodyguard paralyzed you and threw you up. Sorry about that.

Marlowe
2015-04-02, 09:09 PM
[There's simply no way that could happen, based on where I was and what I was doing.

There have been serious issues with your Dming from the first, but this is unacceptable. You're not even playing the game.]

Atsull
2015-04-02, 09:23 PM
Look, Marlowe. If you're just going to rage because an NPC beat you, I don't think you should play this campaign. Maybe we shouldn't do this.

Atsull
2015-04-02, 09:24 PM
If you don't want my NPCs to take advantage of the situation, be more descriptive. I can't read your mind and see how you visualise this.

Marlowe
2015-04-02, 10:19 PM
You've got me hanging using spiderclimb below the ledge. I'm a warlock. I'm a ranged attacker. You should know this before you select characters.

Then you've got me interrupted in mid-action by a new fellow in some vague location you seem to have made up on the spot, and paralyse me with no rolls. You've also somehow got me being threatened by the archer up on the ledge. So it seems like you've got me two places at once, not one of which is where I should be.

And I should have to tell you not to take control of my character and have her do something utterly counter-productive. You shouldn't be writing my characters actions in without my input in the first place.

I see no rolls, I see no attempt at following mechanics. The entire sequence of events is nothing but a contrived asspull. And this is not the first time you've done this.

I have have seen no evidence from the start that you are familiar with the rules of the game you are attempting to play. More seriously, I have seen no evidence you are remotely interested in the characters you have to work with, or honestly interested in exploring the results of their chosen actions. Every single time a player has displayed any sort of initiative you have punished it through dues ex machina.

You, frankly, should not be DMing anyone. When I sign up for a game, I expect to play that game. Not put up with a series of contrived frumps to the face by somebody that repeated demonstrates a complete lack of awareness or interest of what that game is and who is playing it with him.

You say you had big plans for this campaign. That's nice. I'm saying before you plan to build a house, maybe you should check what a brick looks like.

Atsull
2015-04-02, 10:26 PM
I roll on my own. and 'an invented fellow' is just an NPC you didn't detect.

And this isn't the first time this has happened? This is the first time we've been in combat.

You've been nothing but a head-butting *******. I think we're done here.

Cavir
2015-04-02, 10:32 PM
Could we keep the OOC chat to the OOC thread please?

Marlowe, you are rude and should just move on.