PDA

View Full Version : The Value of a Life Campaign (IC)

Pages : [1] 2 3

Zalphon
2014-11-02, 05:52 PM
Our campaign begins in Sigil, the City of the Doors. It is here that it all begins. Our reunion with an old friend whom we've not spoken to for over a decade in some cases and the initial meeting of a group of unlikely friends. But this is Sigil, the city where the logically improbable is a very real thing.

This is the beginning of your journey. It is here that everything begins...here in the Hive Ward of Sigil. You stand right outside the door to Karath's simple lodging. A small, single-layered home with no door. Only a curtain on rods. The windows are merely openings with curtains to keep them closed.

It is when you walk in that you see several others already there. The group that is there consists of a strange-looking reptilian humanoid, an elf (the Lammasu), a reptilian mountain troll, a human woman in long, white robes, a strange humanoid, a half-draconic creature, an astral deva, a tormented human, and a tiefling. They all are in a room with a Githzerai sitting up on his bed--his eyes closed and his legs crossed as he seems to think before he responds to this group congregating in his home.

Dungeon Master

The Githzerai gets to his feet slowly. His bones crack and pop with every movement and his breathing is slow and deep. One whose perceptive can tell its labored breathing. He turns his head to look at them slowly, the bones in his neck unleashing a loud series of cracks, "Give me a few minutes to prepare my tea. Take time to talk to one-another, for I have a feeling you all are about to become very close."

He slowly walks out. His gaunt body unleashing a continuous torrent of sound. How could one who was once a great warrior be in such ill shape now? Had the years truly been that bad to him?

Y'sathara

Y'sathara was in the form of a human with long, raven hair and beautiful forest-green eyes, the two things that she actually retained from her true form. The Succubus looked around the room patiently. She looked at them and then said quietly, "Good--afternoon? Afternoon is the proper time of day, is it not?" The volume of her voice is hushed, as though she's scared of something. Not that one could tell simply by it, but somebody could obviously tell that she's not comfortable.

Brilliant, Sath. Absolutely brilliant to make yourself look like a fool in front of the first people you're going to have a conversation with in over a decade. I'm sure Pelor would be oh-so-proud of his "special" priestess right about now. She couldn't stop what followed. The Succubus' then-pink lips curled into a faint grin.

The woman crossed her legs as she watched them, awaiting a response. Her long, white robes flowing down to her ankles even still. The cleric garments were enshrouding her figure as though she was some form of celibate, but she didn't necessarily mind it. They hid her wings under normal circumstances and thus saved her from being discovered as a demon. Pelor knows how much she loathed that word, simply because it reminded her of what she was. That she was--evil--a monster and that's all she'd be. At least that's how she felt when that word came across her mind.

Fortunately however, they were none the wiser. Y'sathara let that grin grow slightly wider as she thought about that, but it disappeared the moment she saw him. His eyes still had that look--the hunger for experience. Sitri. It was him, yet again--but hopefully--he wouldn't recognize her in this form. Hopefully. Y'sathara knew the moment that he saw her as a succubus that he'd know, but she was praying that he never would. She wasn't the old her anymore and she couldn't tell if he had ever changed from the madman he used to be. As charming as his silver tongue was, she couldn't see the beauty in their sin together--not anymore.

She just sat there continuously looking around the room. So these were the other ones who Karath had called. What an interesting group and what an interesting request he must have waiting...

copycatcat
2014-11-02, 06:14 PM
Those with more acute senses might hear someone laughing from a corner of a room, but nobody is visible in that space.

Chimaera
2014-11-02, 06:59 PM
Xanthax was surprised by the sudden call of his savior.
It's been ages since he last saw him and he wondered what happened to make him decide to call him.

He was curious and couldnt sleep the night prior and instead decided to fly and watch the city from the sky.

But no matter how much he thought about it, there was only one way to know what he wanted and here he are now, disguised as a half-dragon elf, since his large body would occupy much space and maybe draw too much attention to him.

He barely touched his breakfast, still making the gears in his head try to solve that enigma to no solution.
In his haste he ate his own spellbook.

It took some time for him to reach the simple house of his... Friend? I guess taht's how you should call someone who saved your life. A friend... He never quite thought of that first, after all he wasnt much of friend making and now he just discovered (or should it be decided?) he had one in more than a decade and never decided to call himself. What a bad friend he was.

He was surprised to see the condition of the githzerai and almost went to his help when he began getting up from the bed. But decided to have him ask for help so he wouldnt seem rude.

"It's been a long time, Karath. Do you need help with your tea? Sadly havent prepared any tea summoning cantrip but I got...", he stop for a moment, his right hand resting in his chin. He almost said "Acid Splash" but he managed to stop it before he said. How would Acid Splash help the man? It's a nice cantrip and can be used to melt locks or to bring down some smaller foes. Once he even used it get rid of some foul smelling...

It was a laughter that broke his concentration in how useful an Acid Splash could be (some would even say "life savior"). Apparently there was more people here than what the eyes showed. He then begins to mentally reread his grimoire. True Seeing would sure reveal any people hiding, but that would be... Rude. Definetly rude.

The lammasu in elven form look at the human woman in clerical robes, "Good afternoon, I guess".

He watch the rest of them and sighs, "Guess you're all friends of Karath, right? I'm Xanthax the lam... The elf. Even though Xanthax isnt an elven name, but those kind of thigns happen, right?".

copycatcat
2014-11-02, 07:56 PM
"Fake elf, please, just tell us what you are. I happen to be one who is aware of Amros's taking to unusual creatures, and his liking to giving them his guidance."

Chimaera
2014-11-02, 08:01 PM
Hearing the disembodied voice speaking to him, Xanthax look at the corner, "That I could do, but I dont want to occupy that much space. This room is crowded enough without a big lammasu sitting around, which is who I am", he says, "And who you are? Or more specifically, what you are? I may be assuming a fake elf, but I have no idea what you are assuming".

copycatcat
2014-11-02, 08:02 PM
"You are welcome to check, if you'd like. I'd rather not dismiss it, and keep the energies."

Chimaera
2014-11-02, 08:05 PM
"You know you can just say: I'm a big goblin with a funny hat, you know? Just like I stated: I'm a lammasu. Strange as it is I will believe in what you tell me. Honestly".

Well, there's the True Seeing spell, but that was expensive and probably uncalled for. Probably, I guess? :smallconfused:

copycatcat
2014-11-02, 08:06 PM
I tell you "I am a nymph," using Sylvan.

Chimaera
2014-11-02, 08:13 PM
Hearing the response in some language he didnt know, Xanthax sighs, "Sadly enough I have no idea what you just said and I'll be hoping it wasnt some name calling of any sort", he scratch his back (normally he couldnt, but thanks to transmutation magic he can!), "Cause it would be rude", he adds.

"I'm a master of at least ten languages", he says counting them up with his fingers, "Auran, Aquan, Terran, Ignan, Celestial, Abissal, Infernal, Elven, Dwarven, Draconic...", and once all fingers were used, he smiles, "And Common, of course. Feel free to speak to me with any of those and I'll be able to respond".

copycatcat
2014-11-02, 08:36 PM
Cenela silences.

Chimaera
2014-11-02, 08:46 PM
Xanthax wait for an answer and after sometime he understand she wont be speaking to him anymore.

Was he rude? Probably not, he was a perfect gentleman... Seems like some mysteries take some time to solve themselves...

He then look for the rest and come as far as openning his mouth, but stop before saying anything and decide to do something better. Scratching his backs. Like the majority of spells, his transmution wouldnt last forever and he would feel dissapointed to himself if he wasted the spell and dont take advantage of it.

copycatcat
2014-11-02, 08:50 PM
"You have made it clear you can cast of the arcane power. And I am sure you have at least some power, being lammasu, in this wizardry you have trained in. And yet you cannot force your eyes to see the invisible?"

Chimaera
2014-11-02, 08:57 PM
"You want to remain hidden, so I think it would be abusive to force you to appear to me", he says before adding in a serious tone, "And Im stubborn and prefer to talk than to stay in this quiet room".

Glittrrdust was good at combats and at parties, but never at making friends, he thinks.

copycatcat
2014-11-02, 09:19 PM
"Fine. I'm sure the succubus'll be interesting to speak to. Hello, demon."

Chimaera
2014-11-02, 09:27 PM
"Ok, now you got my attention", he says putting his hands on his components pouch.

He then apply a strange oil in his eyes and mutters some invocations and eyes everyone around.

"A nymph and a succubus indeed", he says looking at both and walking toward the nymph, "It's a pleasure to meet and actually seeing you" and give her a slight bow.

What a succubus was doing here now? His brain begins to think a thousand possibilities.

copycatcat
2014-11-02, 09:31 PM
"Truly, my brain was out, I've heard the word today. I didn't realize what you were, believe it or not, I'll give you the choice. But now that he's mentioned it, drop the disguise."

That's actually a suggestion.

Chimaera
2014-11-02, 09:37 PM
"I would drop my disguise, but as I stated previously that would take a lot of space", he says and look at himself, "Is this form unpleasant to look at? It sure isnt as pretty as yours, but you had me spend some powerful magic just to have me see you, so you better wait or do something on your own to see my true self", he says ignoring the suggestion.

As the spell, cast on the beginning of the day (as shown in his sheet :smalltongue:)

Edit: he then notice she wasnt talking to him, but to tje succubus instead, fact he make sure to think about and decide to shut his mouth and look at the rest.

Being inside a silently room for ages made him want to speak everytime he had people to do and was hard shutting his mouth at sometimes. Apparently even when he wasnt the one people were talking to.

copycatcat
2014-11-02, 09:48 PM
"I didn't mean you."

Chimaera
2014-11-02, 09:55 PM
"Im sorry", he says as he sit himself in the floor, "I stayed in a quiet place for almost my whole life, having someone to talk to is something I really enjoy, but nevermind my foolishness".

How long does it takes to boil some herbs and make tea?

copycatcat
2014-11-02, 09:57 PM
"It is understandable, but your disobedience is something to be quelled."
Targeted dispel on you, specifically disobedience
[roll0]

And that failed.

copycatcat
2014-11-02, 09:58 PM
"Do you need all of your magic stripped, or are you going to stop resisting?"
[roll0]

And that's a success. I only prepare two dispels anyway.

Chimaera
2014-11-02, 10:05 PM
"That is something I would call rude", he says looking at the nymph, "If possible try not to do it again in the future. You're Karath's guest and I've great appreciation towards him. But please dont try again", he says politely to the fey, "Specially if you cant manage to break it. Make you look like a fool and someone might even find you're trying to attack me", he adds. And that would be even more follishness, he thinks but remain from speaking this last part.

He already used True Seeing on her, but it was herself who asked for it. Having her trying to dispel him seemed like a direct attack, but maybe it was just... Fey crazyness?

Chimaera
2014-11-02, 10:08 PM
He was about to finish when the nymph manage to break his spell, making his face get more serious and apparently angry.

"I would appreciate if you leave my enchantments alone next time", he says with some not-well-hidden anger in his polite speech, " Today Im here to meet a friend, not making foes".

copycatcat
2014-11-02, 10:09 PM
"There aren't many who wouldn't be quelled by that first attempt. You're the first who I've tried and failed that on, and very few know the spell to begin with. And I am Cenelea, bestowed of the Chaos Archives. A life is merely a page in those books, or a smudge covering a sentence or two. I see its power and carry its legacy. Do not play the part of the fool, who would think mere politeness can change a mind."

Swami Monsoon
2014-11-02, 11:05 PM
There was no way Anwar was going to miss this meeting. Even if it interfered with what passes for his day job. He owes Karath too much for that. So he's cut short his shift at Odo's Curiosity Shop and ventured deeper into the Hive. He's wearing his usual form, the one that feels more natural now with every passing year... a squat, froglike humanoid shape with pebbled gray-green skin and orange, catlike eyes. An inexperienced observer might take him for an undersized Slaad... He can take on a shape that is closer to human, but that face holds few good memories for him. And in this town, you attract unwelcome attention not by being too strange but by seeming too ordinary.

He enters the room to find a group that is unusual even by Sigil's standards. It seems he's walked in on some kind of argument...

"Hello. I'm Anwar. I hope I'm not interrupting something..."

He does not provide a family name. Those days are long over.

kinem
2014-11-02, 11:17 PM
Ymelon had been shocked to see Karath in such poor condition.

He normally went out in human form, but respected Karath enough to trust the man's other guests with the truth ... though he was now beginning to wonder if that was wise. He casts see invisibility when the mysterious voice makes herself known. Thanks to his tongues ability, he does understand what's said.

At the mention of a succubus, his hand involuntarily goes to the hilt of his heavy mace. With effort, he pulls his hand away. Whatever the situation is, it would not do to assault one of Karath's guests ... and in Sigil, all races were allowed.

"It is good to meet Karath's ... associates. I am Ymelon. I'm always amazed at the variety of people one can meet in Sigil, and I'm sure there's a lot we could learn from each other. It looks like there's been some friction now but let's not assume the worst about each other. Believe me, I made that mistake once and that road leads to regret and lost opportunities."

copycatcat
2014-11-02, 11:19 PM
"Cenelea. Most who know of me at all know me as the Betwixt Fey of the Chaos Archives, and even to be addressed by that is a rarity away from home. Karath knows."

Chimaera
2014-11-02, 11:22 PM
"Being polite never hurt anyone, as for being agressive...", he's interrupted by the direfrog entering the room and smile toward him, "Of course you arent, Im Xanthax, nice to meet you".

He look at the nymph, "Also, i think every life is a book, not just a page and even less a single phrase... Anyway, I was the Lorekeeper of the Celestial Library, but never heard about these Chaos Archives, maybe we could talk about later sometime".

Logain Ablar
2014-11-02, 11:23 PM
As this conversation progresses, Adriana considers throwing a dagger in the direction of the invisible Fey (Spot and Listen to locate 30 and 20 respectively) but reminds herself it would be an insult to Karath's hospitality to attack another guest under his roof, even if that guest was displaying a complete contempt for that same hospitality. It's Karath's job to call her on that, not mine, if he does so at all, she reminds herself.

At this last however, she breaks her silent observation for the first time, swearing in Celestial (Death and Mercy! for those who understand it): A page in a book? A smudge on the cover? Would you snuff out a life so easily, Fey? She speaks common, but uses the Sylvan word for Fey, and spits it almost like a curse. What value has the knowledge and power of these Archives without the lives of those who learn from them? Knowledge without life to know it, power without life to wield is is as pointless as a door without a wall.

copycatcat
2014-11-02, 11:27 PM
"Oh, but I have seen these archives, formed from these marvelous souls. And yet, it only increases my appreciation for them, for these are some of the oddest books I've seen, and each page is valuable. Each dead of the side of law, forms one page, revealing its contents. Each smudge on them is one dead for chaos, doing as they like, even in death. And I care for lives of people alive, for a plaything alive is much better than a smudge-or worse, I suppose, as you could be against this- a page. And, lammasu, they are located on a secluded plane. I found them by accident, wandering a magical woods. They make me what I am, beyond a nymph. They give me my power and my radiance. And there are too many lives, in these infinite planes, to make each one a book. I have seen a page form. Most who see these go mad. Only I know who haven't are me, and Karath. I met him there."
I stop disguising my Radiant Creature glow, so the invisible thing glows.

Logain Ablar
2014-11-02, 11:28 PM
Adriana looks at Karath. She feels something seeing this once strong and proud warrior reduced to such a feeble state. She casts about in her mind to find a name for this feeling. It is rare enough that the plight of another makes her feel anything. When it does she is sure to name it. It was like the feeling of seeing a flower wilt, or an elemental struggle to exist on its opposite plane. Sorrow? Is that it? She's pretty sure that's the word.

Logain Ablar
2014-11-02, 11:31 PM
I am against the pointless taking of life, but do not assume you know my motives or my nature, Nymph She names her in Sylvan again.

Chimaera
2014-11-02, 11:31 PM
The fake elf as the nymph pointed out says a silently thanks as he hear someobe else speaking in the room.

"Dont worry, Ymelon: we are just speaking, no friccion", he smile as if saying things were ok and under controll.

He hear the human outburst and raise his index finger, "While I agree with the majority of what you say I'll have to disagree with something: liches. There's power in them even devoid of life... You know being undead et cetera..."

copycatcat
2014-11-02, 11:36 PM
"I am as well, what made you believe I supported it? Very few souls, in all the planes, form the powerful books, the ones I care for. And attacking them would be suicide. I merely see this as a soul's power, not a mere description, a metaphor. What are you, anyway? I feel power in yours. You have a cause of order or chaos, but I do not know which. What I do know is that you are one who would not go mad looking at the Archives."(in Auran)

Logain Ablar
2014-11-02, 11:41 PM
(Out of Character: Spot DC to see through my disguise is 25. DC 15 if you can negate the magical component.)

Angel (named in Celestial), she dips her head in acknowledgement of Ymelon, but does not break eye contact as she does so.

I think it is a welcome interuption..., Anwar She pauses, not quite knowing how to address him

Chimaera
2014-11-02, 11:42 PM
"Maybe I'll check this library of yours someday...", the lammasu says he think in something that he finds funny.

Logain Ablar
2014-11-02, 11:47 PM
I hope you can forgive my hasty judgement, (Sylvan)Nymph(/Sylvan). My cause is my own, for the moment, and my power. That too I shall keep to myself for the moment. It is safer for all involved that way. Know only that I am a hunter. Spoken in common, but with clear understanding of what was said.

copycatcat
2014-11-02, 11:49 PM
"I wander it by the day. Hence I prefer to keep a planeshift prepared. I could easily take you, but you'd be trapped by the night, and anyway it is very rare a Lammasu could handle the texts, being made up of law. They drive all but the most chaotic souls mad.. except those of very strong mind. I was serious when I said Karath and I were the only two known to survive it sane."

Chimaera
2014-11-02, 11:51 PM
"A hunter you say? And here I was thinking it was some librarians' meeting. Celestial Library, Chaos Archives... Was expecting the next one being from the Fiendish Codex or that planar order... The Index? Something like that", he says and smile, "What do you hunt? I hope the answer isnt schollars", he jokes a little but say in a serious tone, not a mocking one.

Chimaera
2014-11-02, 11:54 PM
"I think my mind would be stubborn enough to manage it and I forgot to mention you that I'm also a conjurer: I can walk the path between planes myself, but some company is always good".

Logain Ablar
2014-11-02, 11:56 PM
I hunt many thing. But mostly (Infernal) Devils (/Infernal), (Abyssal) Demons (/Abyssal) (Pauses to glance at the apparent succubus) ... And (Celestial) Angels (/Celestial). (Grins at the Astra Deva)

Adriana is curious about this Fey. She itches to use detect good or detect evil to figure out where this creature falls, but doesn't want to waste the use. She wishes Bellona were here. The pegasus could tell her easily, but her faithful companion was out back of the small dwelling.

copycatcat
2014-11-02, 11:57 PM
"Oh, but you see, it's more the strength than the force applied. Besides, you have to waste valuable incense just to see me, previous to the glow, with my spell. Why should I suppose you have any practicality?"

Chimaera
2014-11-03, 12:06 AM
"Good thing we arent in a battlefield tyen, huntress", he says looking at the outsiders.

He then looks at the nymph, "And you cant even see my true form. The diference is...", he then dissapears, "You're not the only one capable of turning invisible, but I wonder if you can see the unseen as well...", he turns himself back in lammasu form and walk on his paws closer to her, his tail caressing her ankle.

Logain Ablar
2014-11-03, 12:10 AM
Adriana mumbles under her breath in Draconic I think we are on a battlefield of a kind. Bloody casters.

copycatcat
2014-11-03, 12:15 AM
"Not per se, at the moment, but I at least bother to keep it in the book which I use, though it can merely sample the weaker ends of the archive. I am skilled enough to tell a general location, which is enough to dispel the spell. But I already used my castings for that on your silly disobedience. Now, Karath, please speak your purpose for asking us into your curtains."

Chimaera
2014-11-03, 12:23 AM
"A fey calling me silly: priceless", he says as he resune to visibility: a large golden scaled lion with human head and dracinic wings.

"Life is a battlefield, as they say. Hope you dont have a problem with casters as well", he then sit down.

I knew if i turned back to lammasu I would occupy that much space. Well, it happens.

copycatcat
2014-11-03, 12:25 AM
"It's not that much space... with my spells I take up that much of the corner, as you've seen."

Chimaera
2014-11-03, 12:31 AM
"I wonder... Cenelea, right?", he says looking with his feline eyes to her, "If you play chess by any chance? You would be a formidable opponent.. Its been a while since I had that much.. Fun", he then goes deep in thought and tail whip the floor.

How long would it take for the tea to get ready? He then begin to wonder what kind of tea Karath was planning to brew...

Logain Ablar
2014-11-03, 12:35 AM
Adriana sighs. With lammasu taking up more space in his natural from, she has to pull her own black feathered wings in closer to her body. She thinks wistfully of the open sky outside and wonders how Bellona is doing. Although she doesn't speak her annoyance, her eyes start to shift from bright gold to a coppery orange color.

copycatcat
2014-11-03, 12:40 AM
"I know how. I don't often practice, else I suppose I would be better. As is I can beat most who are not known for their skills."

Chimaera
2014-11-03, 12:48 AM
"Lets play sometime then" he says cordially to the nymph and stay quiet, waiting for Karath or someone else to break the silence.

He waited 10 years for being called and before that he waited his former master for 388 years, he should feel himself ashamed for being impacient. He ponders on Karath's words before leaving for the tea. Maybe he was taking his time in purpose so to guve everyone time to speak and address each other. What does the githzerai plans?

copycatcat
2014-11-03, 12:50 AM
"A mind is a half of a soul, but one that leaves no mark on the archives. They are the part of life better left alone."

Detect Thoughts, aiming first to the lammasu.

NotScaryBats
2014-11-03, 01:47 AM
Kix, still and silent as a statue, observes the various posturings on display in the living quarters of her friend. She looks like an emaciated humanoid wearing a bizarre mask. Not wanting to get into any sort of competitions with these entities, the Khen-zai remains quiet and demure.

"I do wonder what we have all been brought here for..." she thinks to herself.

Logain Ablar
2014-11-03, 01:58 AM
Since she's close to the lammasu (not necessarily by choice), Adriana probably fall within the cone of your spell. You find that you are unable to detect her mind at all.

copycatcat
2014-11-03, 02:00 AM
After finding whatever the lammasu's thoughts are, I turn to Kix, and am stunned.

Doxkid
2014-11-03, 03:49 AM
The hulking Yuan-ti lounging in, on and around an armchair off to a side watches the proceedings intently. He is not unhappy or annoyed at this...this...strange greeting? His attitude leans instead towards perplexity. His fingers steeple as he watches, the slight movement spreading a fresh earthy scent tempered with slight staleness that cannot easily be placed.

"How do these beings survive long enough to reproduce?" His S's are favored only slightly above other letters, but the sound lasts long enough to give evidence of a strong accent. "Is that why I have been summoned? To watch over these beings until they can spawn and their brood needs attending to? Intriguing. I know he has no use for their offspring - or no practical one at any rate, as he does not favor granting undeath as I would - so is this merely his form of philanthropy?

I am not ungrateful for his services in the past and the offspring of this menagerie would be interesting to attend to whether they are interbred or he has in his possession appropriate mates. If I am to be a nanny, so be it."

kinem
2014-11-03, 10:10 AM
Angel (named in Celestial), she dips her head in acknowledgement of Ymelon, but does not break eye contact as she does so.

Ymelon replies in Celestial "I may not be worthy of that name yet."

He silently casts detect evil and scans the room, though well aware of the limitations of that spell-like ability.

Chimaera
2014-11-03, 11:20 AM
The lammasu watch the intent look Cenelea gave to him and smile.

"You would find more answers asking, dear", he says to her and begin licking his right paw, like an oversized domestic cat would do.

Spellcraft bonus +24 so auto-sucess identifying the spell.

Also, @copycatcat: your character sheet say you're immune to blindness, daze, dazzle and stun, so I think you arent stunned :smalltongue:

Logain Ablar
2014-11-03, 12:17 PM
Ymelon does not detect an Evil Aura from Adriana

Swami Monsoon
2014-11-03, 12:34 PM
Anwar stays quiet, not knowing what he can contribute to this conversation among... who are these people, exactly? They certainly appear full of themselves. Big shots and badasses... from at least several different planes, if their appearances are any indication. He's not sure what warrants his inclusion in such a group or what Karath has in mind by assembling them. A job of some sort, presumably. But they don't look like a group that's used to working together... He remembers a phrase one of his odder human customers once used to describe a similar situation. "All chiefs and no Indians." He has no idea what potential Karath sees in this group. But then again he still has no idea what the old man saw in him when they first met...

copycatcat
2014-11-03, 04:14 PM
"I'm sure. I should have known better than try to target the mind of one blessed with the magic of the gods, anyway. But, please, I had been more interested in the others. Then that woman... her mind.. it is strong. It might save her from madness, she has a better chance than you, lammasu, but likely she, too, would fall to the archives, for the mind must be twice as strong to overcome an unable soul."

Good point on the stun thing. The spell still ends, though.

And you have to roll Will v Detect Thoughts still, in case you roll a nat 1.

Cenelea is not evil.

Chimaera
2014-11-03, 04:29 PM
"There is wisdom in that words, but not in your acts. At least you're learning", he mock her, his serious face getting a large grin in it.

I already rolled his Will save, for a sucess - It's in the other thread i guess.
And sure, the spell ends even if you dont get stunned.

copycatcat
2014-11-03, 04:34 PM
The radiant glow goes over by the lammasu. "Oh really, purring lion?"
I just saw it. And it was DC 22, because I have detect thoughts as a L1 spell. And she smacks you playfully.

Chimaera
2014-11-03, 04:46 PM
For a moment the lamasu is surprised and barely move, like the nymph smack was a touch of a ghoul.
He had several spells: one for each situation, but none of them for something like this.

Visible embaressed, the lion just nod his head and remain silently.

Logain Ablar
2014-11-03, 06:19 PM
Adriana laughs and says in Sylvan This lion is just a cub, methinks.

copycatcat
2014-11-03, 06:24 PM
"Hah! I'm sure we can get along, in here. I side with neither the devil or the angel. I much prefer the slaad. I have no taste for a lammasu. I was tempted for a punch, at full force, but even with my spells I doubted it would do much but provoke." Though she uses Sylvan grammar, she alternates words between Sylvan, Elven, and Auran, in that order.

Logain Ablar
2014-11-03, 07:07 PM
In common: Cenelea, I'm not sure yet whether I like you or not, but one things for sure, with you around, things will never be dull.

Zalphon
2014-11-03, 07:44 PM
Y'sathara

The Succubus frowned at the way he spoke to her. The way he made sure to look her dead in the eyes as he said it--Demons. Her small grin turned to a frown.

He doesn't mean you, Sath. Like that was reassuring. He meant exactly that, even if he didn't realize that she wasn't like the rest. That bothered her. A lot.

Dungeon Master

Karath stepped back in with several cups of tea levitating on saucers behind him. It was as he stepped to the center of the room that the beautiful porcellain began to float towards each of them--but they all fell as he hit his knees against the ground. A loud, gutteral shriek of pain emerged from the Githzerai's throat as he fell and one could see the viscous, black fluid oozing from his left-breast to the ground below.

Y'sathara

Y'sathara watched. Her eyes never moving--analyzing. What was wrong with him? What could do this to one so powerful as he?

She arose to her feet, the prior thoughts of being called Demon completely abjured from her mind. As was the guise from her body. Her skin took a pinkish tint, while a tail and wings emerged from the fold of her robes. She looked around and said with a calm voice, but one commanding of attention, "Everyone? Who knows what this could be?"

Dungeonmaster

Knowledge: Nature, Knowledge: Arcana, Knowledge: Religion, and Knowledge: the Planes checks. Only one type per person--it's your character's gut instinct as to what the origins of this--ooze could be.

Y'sathara

[roll0]

copycatcat
2014-11-03, 07:49 PM
I'll take planar.

[roll0]

"We must all check the knowledge of our own field! Or blindly rush in and attack it with no thought whatsoever! I vote the latter!

And is that a compliment? Or a name called to poke fun?"

Chimaera
2014-11-03, 07:49 PM
Good thing the githzerai finnaly appeared! Xanthax was still thinking how to undo the nymph's charm and failing at it.

Once he falls to the ground, he get back to serious, "What's the matter, Karath? Are you ok?", of course the answer is No, but he had to ask anyway.

Not in elven shape anymore, he couldnt grab him and lift him from the ground without using his massive teeth, so he decided to have someone else to nurse him. In fact, he was most interested in that black oozing...

[roll0]
Add +2 if it is something related to Conjuration.

Swami Monsoon
2014-11-03, 08:50 PM
Anwar watches the others preen and bicker. And use the S word... He sighs. He's used to rubes mistaking him for a Slaad, but it's a bit surprising that one of these hoity toity types would make the same error. He's relieved when Karath reenters the room... until the old man crumples to the ground.

What the hell... no...

He moves closer, trying to get a better look at Karath's injury.

Know.Nature: [/roll]1d20+8[/roll]

Swami Monsoon
2014-11-03, 08:51 PM
Reroll (typo):

[roll0]

Logain Ablar
2014-11-03, 11:34 PM
Knowledge: The Planes: d20+12=24

Get back, give him some space.

Adrinan rushes in (Tumble=18 t0 move through the crowded space) and spreads her wings to their full span to keep people back.

(Abysassl) Succubus (/Abysassl), you have the look of a cleric to you. If that is more than just a disguise then get in here and help me.

She uses either her neutralize poison or her remove disease ability depending on which she thinks is more appropriate based on her knowledge check.

Chimaera
2014-11-03, 11:59 PM
"Open some room for me", Xanthax says grtting closer to the githzerai, "I wield divine magic as well".

He look at Karath and touch him with his claw paw, "Panacea", he says praying to remove all afflictions on his friend.

If that fails, he give Remove Curse a try.

NotScaryBats
2014-11-04, 01:09 AM
Kix calmly reaches for her tea, but it falls to the floor and the cup breaks before her. When Karath falls down, a clicking noise can be heard from behind her emotionless mask. She instinctively consults her encyclopedic knowledge of undead and religious matters in regards to the ooze. Not wanting to crowd in among the three who immediately step in to aid the fallen gith, Kix remains where she is, carefully folding her long fingers together as she observes the situation.

[roll0] know: religion

Doxkid
2014-11-04, 01:10 AM
Knowledge Religion: [roll0]

Daegal-rael springs forward into he crowd, interacting with the other 'people' for the first time since they arrived. What fresh foolishnesssss is this?! Which of you hasss betrayed my ally?! I will have your ssssoul when I find you, pact or no pact!

NotScaryBats
2014-11-04, 01:15 AM
"Be calm," Kix the alien humanoid intones in a gently reverberating voice, "let us not jump to conclusions before our patron is examined. So volatile a bunch could all too easily turn on one another once accusations are thrown about."

kinem
2014-11-04, 10:29 AM
If a simple spell could fix this, Karath would have already asked for and received it, I believe.

Ymelon ponders his knowledge of the planes, trying to remember a similar case. Though gifted with healing abilities, that comes from his innate magic and not conscious knowledge about medicine. That is a flaw I must some day remedy.

"I will help if I can" he says.

ooc: Knowledge (planes) [roll0]

Chimaera
2014-11-04, 01:42 PM
The lammasu look at the Daegal-rael and turn back his attention to Karath.

"Do you think he would invite someone he didnt trust here? Apparently he was looking for help for something", he then look at the black ooze, "And we probably know for what now".

Zalphon
2014-11-04, 07:19 PM
Dungeon Master

It isn't a disease. Not a mundane one. It's absolutely a spell, something necromantic.

This isn't something you can claim to have seen, but close examination of the goo shows resemblance to Black Lung--a deadly respiratory infection in which the phlegm produced is exceptionally dark. But you can tell there's more to this gunk."

This is necromantic in nature. Absolutely necromantic.

The black goo is actually home to millions of parasitic, intelligent bacteria known as "Gnaritans". They're microorganisms that are created to kill a host and transfer its knowledge and memories to a source.

Gnaritans are a creation of a necromancer, a High Priestess of Wee Jas, by the name of Lady Lythannas Myrsul. However, she has been dead for centuries.

The goo seems to be like something you'd find on the Negative Energy Plane.

Karath raised a hand and coughed, "No--do not--fight." Every word expelling more of the goop--coughing it up this time.

"It was a mistake--to--involve you." He slowly rose to his feet and as soon as he seemed stable, collapsed to his knees again. This time coughing up more.

"I jus--it's..." He collapsed. This time unconscious as his head bounced off the floor with a resounding thud.

Y'sathara

"...He's dead," the Succubus uttered at barely a whisper. Her eyes welling with tears. By Pelor's light...who could have done such a thing?

copycatcat
2014-11-04, 07:25 PM
"Karath.. may you retain your safety of mind in whichever afterlife you go to. And may you create a powerful page."

NOW I summon a fire giant.

NotScaryBats
2014-11-04, 07:30 PM
"I recognize this ailment," Kix intones in a cool and professional manner. She waits a moment to be sure that the menagerie of entities in the room listen to what she has to say, and then continues, "Gnaritans -- a form of intelligent bacteria, created by an ancient priestess of Wee Jas -- have the power to kill a host and transfer its knowledge and memories to a source. Lady Lythannas Myrsul, the creator of the Gnaritans, has been dead for centuries, however."

The bizarre humanoid moves very little, and does not gesture or pace as she discloses this information. Her impassive mask betrays not a hint of emotion. "I believe that this is a serious matter and we should proceed with caution. If someone has mastered the Gnaritans that isn't Lady Myrsul, they are a force to be reckoned with, and if the Lady has returned from the dead, she is certainly an ancient and powerful lich or something similar, and not to be trifled with.

DM Do I know what source the Gnaritans will transfer to? Can we capture them before they do so? Are they contagious? Are they created for a specific host or just anybody? Can they reinfect after absorbing a host, or must they 'deposit' their stuff before they can do that?

Chimaera
2014-11-04, 07:54 PM
Xanthax looks and listen carefully to Kix explanation, "Do you know if Karath can be brought back to life? Or does these... gnarites wont let him come back? If he can be brought back to life I can revive him tomorrow".

Even though he talk as calm as he can, hsi voice carries anger on it.

Logain Ablar
2014-11-04, 08:08 PM
Recognizing a negative energy effect, Adriana uses Protection from Evil on herself before moving too close to him, but did not know enough to choose which other ability to use.

She looks at Cenelea: Why did you summon a GIANT into an already overcrowded hut? There's hardly room for any of us to move now.

copycatcat
2014-11-04, 08:22 PM
In Sylvan-Common-Auran-Giant-Dwarven-Goblin-Elven: "Reason? Does any chaos have any reason?"

Logain Ablar
2014-11-04, 08:46 PM
Yes reason, you (switch to Undercommon) half witted, surface blinded, fool!

Back to common

Reason, Purpose, Direction. The hallmark that separates sentient life from mindless existence. You need not be bound by rule of law to have purpose and reason.

copycatcat
2014-11-04, 08:47 PM
"Oh, most chaos. Yet so many misunderstand the distinction between the chaotic, and the anarchic. Some follow this chaotic path... I cannot say I know why I summoned the giant." Sylvan

Swami Monsoon
2014-11-04, 10:05 PM
The babbling of the others finally breaks Anwar's reserve...

"Karath has just been murdered and we're arguing philosophy? You people don't think there's something better we could be doing with our time? We need to search the house... maybe there are clues here..."

copycatcat
2014-11-04, 10:10 PM
I tell the fire giant, in giant, "See if you can see where this thing has entered from."

Chimaera
2014-11-04, 10:10 PM
"I agree with Mr. Frog here", the lammasu say, "Tomorrow I'll prepare spells to speak and revive the dead and we'll find out things out. But a search in the house may be in order".

Logain Ablar
2014-11-04, 11:39 PM
I suppose you're right, Xanthax.

Adriana stands up from being bent over Karath's body. She draws her wings around her body, bows her head, and murmurs softly in Draconic

Those of particularly sharp ears will hear her say
May your soul find rest in whatever afterlife awaits you, and be at peace knowing that I, that we, will find who did this, and stop it from happening to another. Go now friend, onto your next journey

She stands there in silence for a moment or two, then raises her head, puts her wings and shoulders back, and begins searching the apartment.

Search=33 (Take 20)

NotScaryBats
2014-11-04, 11:49 PM
Kix remains rooted in place, wracking its brain for any further knowledge of the Gnaritans.

kinem
2014-11-05, 12:02 AM
Ymelon paces back and forth in frustration, unable to fight as he normally does in response to trouble. I am no priest either. Celestial I may be, but I know little of rituals for the dead. Death is meant for enemies, not friends.

To Kix he asks "The naritans transfer knowledge, you said. Do you know if they must be physically retrieved by the perpetrator?"

NotScaryBats
2014-11-05, 12:09 AM
"This is truly an esoteric foe. Allow me a moment to collect my thoughts as I ponder this question..." Kix replies slowly, as she considers this angle as well.

Doxkid
2014-11-05, 03:20 AM
Daegal-Rael does not take Karath's passing well. the rage it once expressed is quickly turned inward; Karath was his patron and died in his presence. If anything he should have realized the severity of the problem much earlier; abandoning his innate talents in favor of propagating life and happiness may have been Karath's will, but it certainly did nothing in the gith's time of need.

It takes the Yuan-Ti only a few seconds to cast dark magic upon the corpse, imposing his will and power where others could not. A spectral shadow connects the two for a moment

"You will rise as you should be. I will ensure it."
--
Daegal casts Gentle Repose on Karath using his ghostly Visage familiar's ability to deliver touch spells to avoid actually touching the body.

Zalphon
2014-11-05, 08:43 PM
Dungeonmaster

You don't know whether they transfer or how they work, sadly. Also, upon inspection of the area--you find a crumpled up note.

"Friends of Karath,

Know this and know it well. This is no game--certainly not one for worms such as you. Leave this place and forget the Gith, lest your fate be far worse.

~Lady Symaron"

copycatcat
2014-11-05, 08:48 PM
"Please, being of power, take him out this door. Take care not to burn him. At least leave his body ready for a possible resurrection.." in Giant, as command.

Zalphon
2014-11-05, 08:50 PM
"Please, being of power, take him out this door. Take care not to burn him. At least leave his body ready for a possible resurrection.." in Giant, as command.

((You can control your own creatures.))

copycatcat
2014-11-05, 08:53 PM
((You can control your own creatures.))

((Was roleplaying command.))

Chimaera
2014-11-05, 09:11 PM
"I guess we have our name. Does anyone have any idea who this Lady Simaron may be?", Xanthax ask after reading the note twice, "I have some divinations I can try tomorrow. If anyone.wants to join and find out who and why they it to Karath, please let me know. Those who dont care or dont want to take part just walk away".

copycatcat
2014-11-05, 09:23 PM
"I will. Giant, once the body's out of here, come back in the shack, and stand at the door. Don't let the others out, we need discussion here."

Elbeyon
2014-11-05, 09:27 PM
A voice can be heard from outside and a hand starts to push the door's curtain, "Sorry, I'm late. I had a client that wanted a couple hours." To Shava's surprise it's usage is already filled to capacity by a giant. Taking note of what it's carrying they step out of the way. "Oh, Karath is already dead."

A few inches taller than Cenelea stands a freckled women (http://th03.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2012/059/e/9/resting_place_by_znodden-d4rc79x.png) with black and red hair. Confusingly enough those with truesight see can an image of the redhead imposed over another image that looks exactly the same over the image of a man (http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/362/b/6/commission_trill_by_jounetsunoakai-d35ud5z.jpg).

Lightly waving, "Hello, I'm Shava. Are you Karath's friends? I'd like to join your adventure."

kinem
2014-11-05, 09:28 PM
"Hold on! Why are you taking his body outside? I don't intend to let it out of my sight because it might be that the murderer will need to retrieve the goo to learn his memories" Ymelon says.

"As for the name, it could easily be there to mislead us. We must look into it, of course."

He casts detect evil on the newcomer, and follows the giant.

Elbeyon
2014-11-05, 09:53 PM
They make a slightly troubled face as Ymelon cast his spell then go back to the cheery mood they were in. "I understand given the situation. That was still a rather unfriendly greeting. It would have been rude enough to ask, but it's even ruder to try to force the answer out of me. Not that you asked, I am what you seek."

Switching topics, "Wow, you have a name already. Everyone works so fast. This might be a short adventure."

Chimaera
2014-11-05, 09:55 PM
"If no one mind,I'll keep custody of the corpse", Xanthax say approaching the once gith and swallow him whole.

"Whoever try to get to him will need to get through me".

Extradimensional stomach!

Logain Ablar
2014-11-05, 10:39 PM
Adriana pales...

That may not have been the wisest decision Xanthax, with those naritans potentially still in the body. Cenelea, we do need to discuss, but this is likely not the best place. Surely someone here most have an abode in Sigil. A place slightly... larger than this? A place less exposed to unwelcome eyes and ears?

Chimaera
2014-11-05, 10:51 PM
"This stomach of mine is not my own so it wontbe a problem. As for a place to discuss... Given enough preparation I can take everyone to any plane of your choice".

Elbeyon
2014-11-05, 11:32 PM
Another large creature exiting the building has Shava asking, "What else you have in there?"

They step back ten feet away from the dragon whenever he draws closer. "It'd seem I missed a lot. Someone will have to share with me later. My place is rather public and ill-suited for this crowd. I could suggest several doors if we're looking to leave Sigil, but if we just need a private place to chat I have an amorphous friend who could help.

If that giant doesn't mind I'd like to search Karath's place myself. If any clues were left by the murderer finding them could be considerably easier."

Logain Ablar
2014-11-06, 12:01 AM
A veritable menagerie, it seems.

Adriana says, stepping outside and stretching.

I already searched the place, though you are welcome to check behind me. I found only this note, left presumably as a warning to a group just such as us.

Adriana shows her the note with Lady Symaron's name. She then folds up the note, and it disappears from her hand.

1d20+16=25 Any spot check that matches or exceeds this will see her slip the folded note into a hidden pocket in her sashlinig

Chimaera
2014-11-06, 12:06 AM
"Feel free to search the place", the lammasu say, "Those who want to take place in finding out what happened, please come closer".

He then begin weaving a strange tapestry made out of silver lines who came from himself and nowhere. Those who gather close to him see him pulling strings of silver from their chesta as well and knitting they all together in handmade baby... Shoe? Mase of of... Silver lines? :smallconfused:

" This thread will conect your life force to my own and will be a way for me to protect and enhance everyone as if we were all a single creature".

All living creatures who accept it will be part of his tapestry and so will be able to receive several buffs, healings and protections. Constructs and undead cant receive it.

I can have up to myself and 9 other creatures weaved in my tapestry.

He wont force anyone into accepting neither will try very hard to convince.

Logain Ablar
2014-11-06, 12:21 AM
Sense Motive (23) to be sure Xanthax is on the up and up. And since ooc I know he istelling the truth, and not trying to bluff me, I assume that's enough

I hope you won't mind including my companion in that?

She gives a long high whistle. A golden shape dives down out of the sky. A cloud of dust is kicked up as pale wings flare at the last moment to arrest the dive. There is the sound of hooves striking the ground, and when the cloud clears, a palomino pegasus is stand next to her (colored like this (http://www.horse-genetics.com/images/Sedgehill_gold.jpg), but with wings that match the mane and tail.

This is Bellona, my oldest living friend, now that Karath has passed. She has been my companion and my steed through more trouble than I care to recall.

She whispers to the pegasus in Celestial That was a rather melodramatic entrance don't you think?

Bellona nickers and tosses her head.

NotScaryBats
2014-11-06, 12:45 AM
"To answer your question, Ymelon, I am unsure precisely how the Gnaritans transfer their knowledge, and containing them before they escape is likely paramount." Its considerations done, the gaunt humanoid with the mask considers the rest of the happenings -- the giant, the new-comer, and the swallowing of the corpse. At the mention of privacy, Kix speaks up again in her gentle and methodical voice. "Allow me to forge us an extradimensional hideaway where we can discuss our situation. I will simply need a quarter of an hour to collect myself before performing such a taxing dweamer."

Swami Monsoon
2014-11-06, 12:50 AM
Anwar nods...

"I'll make one last pass through the house while you are preparing the spell.."

Searching for any more clues [roll0]

Elbeyon
2014-11-06, 01:00 AM
Taking a glance at the note before it disappears Shava hms, "That will do. We'd still like to search for ourself, however. If Karath meant for us to meet than I'm sure everyone's dependable, but this is my friend we're talking about. It wouldn't feel right if I didn't personally check."

Shava looks to lammasu when he offers to bind them. "Greetings again, I'm Shava. It's a pleasure to meet you. I only wish our host was available to introduce us to each other. Sadly with him being indisposed it seems any ostentatious efforts would feel wasted. To your offer: We say we would prefer that we at least know your name before you touch our silver cord.

To Bellona
Hello, Bellona.

To Kix
If the location is handled that's fine by us."

((lammasu can weave all he wants if he gives Shava his name))

Chimaera
2014-11-06, 01:32 AM
To Adriana
He look at Bellona and Adrianna, "I can have nine other cliving beings in my tapestry", he says, "Ten with me. So it wont be a problem to add her as well in the tapestry".

To Shava
"My name is Xanthax, the Lore Keeper of the Celestial Library", he tell Shava, "Well, former Lore Keeper".

To the Rest
The lammasu eyes everyone and ask once more, "Anyone else interested in joinning my tapestry and my protections?".

He waits for everyone who willingly accept his offer to finish knitting his arcane weave.
But this time he offer a little piece of knowledge with it.

"This tapestry will allow me to cast my spells as if I'm touching each of you and I can consider the whole tapestry like a single living creature, this way I can mass affect everyone with my protections, boosts and healings. It dont grant me any power to cast harmful spells on any of you nor gives me any other form of control on you".

Adriana and Bellona, Shava.
6 More spaces to go. First asked, first served.

It takes 10 minutes to craft the tapestry and a Craft: Weaving with ridiculously low DC to make it (auto-sucess)

NotScaryBats
2014-11-06, 01:53 AM
To Xanthax
"Very well, I shall accept your abjurations. You may call me Kix," Kix intones. Even as an aberration, she is hopefully still a legal target.

To Shava
"Indeed, once I have prepared myself, we will have an unassailable locale at our disposal," the emaciated humanoid says definitively.

Chimaera
2014-11-06, 01:59 AM
"Its a pleasure to meet you, Kix. Sadly not the best ocassion however", Xanthax says as he grab her vital line and knit it together in his weavings.

NotScaryBats
2014-11-06, 02:04 AM
"Life is fleeting, Kix says quietly, "but that is what makes it so precious. Our mutual friend led a life well-lived, as evinced by these myriad strangers so loyal to him. Though he was killed, I cannot help but think that he will refuse a resurrection, but perhaps I am mistaken..."

Elbeyon
2014-11-06, 02:37 AM
"Again, It's a pleasure. Uh, I don't have any epithets worth mentioning."

They step forward and then back again, outside Xanthax's ten foot radius. "We don't really care for whatever protective aura you're giving off. If that's one of the beneficial spells you intend to share with us we'll have to decline that one."

((If you touch Shava: Will Save DC 17. Shava is covered in an illusion. Though the image underneath is similar it's also 3/4 composed of water, air, and earth. Like an elemental.))

To Kix
"Hope, you don't mind if I call you Kix too. I'm Shava.

Exasperated by the idea that Karath might stay dead Shava rattles, "He better not refuse! I'll find him on whatever plane his dead ass went to and kick it till he returns. We didn't come here to witness any final acts."

NotScaryBats
2014-11-06, 03:16 AM
"Greetings, Shava. I am not Karath, and do not know his mind; I was only offering my opinion on the matter," Kix replies calmly, her eight foot tall frame unmoving during the conversation. "I am against violence and death, so discovering what the presence of the Gnaritans here means is quite important to me. I feel that is the true reason Karath summoned us all."

Doxkid
2014-11-06, 06:04 AM
"I like your ideals mage. However life is not something so easily protected that violence and cruelty do not have their places, beyond that which is part of the great cycle. Karath was my guide to putting away the crutch of dark magic and cruelty so I could better spread life, but everything has its place and those with the power to cut even down have an obligation to use that power.

Do not concern yourself with Karath's willingness to live once more; He will not refuse our call, and I have ensured his body will remain as it is until we can return life to his flesh. Even the weakest of soul magics should be enough to set his soul into its rightful place.

Whether he can hear it in the first place is another matter; undeath is not the only thing that can prevent a willing soul from returning to its body..."

The childishness of this assembled group has not endeared anyone to Daegal, but he still deigns speak to the Ethergaunt to correct it. The offer of a place upon an 'eldritch Tapestry' is outright ignored; given the way these beings have behaved, that may well be a means for the mage to slaythe Yuan-Ti later and he has no time for that now that Karath's life has been stolen away.

"If any wish to help me then we will leave quickly. Every passing moment adds to the advantage of my foes, and I will not allow Karath's death to go unavenged for long."

kinem
2014-11-06, 10:35 AM
To Shava

"Sorry if I was rude but your entry seemed suspicious. I am Ymelon. You're the only one we didn't see Karath greet, and you seemed to expect his death. What did you mean by saying 'Oh, Karath is already dead'?"

To Daegal

"Leave quickly - to where? What is your plan?"

ooc: Knowledge (arcana) about the tapestry: [roll0]

NotScaryBats
2014-11-06, 12:01 PM
"The philosophy I believe you hold is not one unknown to me, I assure you. Perhaps when leisure dictates we can discuss this further and elucidate the commonly misinterpreted intricacies of our respective life views. I do not condemn you," Kix says quietly.

Chimaera
2014-11-06, 12:08 PM
"It's not an aura...", the lammasu sighs, "But fine".

He then finishes his eldritch tapestry making Kix, Adriana, Bellona, Shava and himself in his tapestry.

The several stringings shine and... Dissapear.
Like nothing was done at all, no diference nor anything.

"Now I'll give you a sample of the tapestry power", he says as he cast a simple spell to amke everyone stronger, for a small time.

Instead of affecting touched creature it will affect the whole tapestry, like it was the Mass version of it (but with 2nd level spell).

"This is just a sample, so you now what I can do. This isnt the strongest spell I can cast this way, but it feels like a waste if I cast anything more powerful just for a show".

NotScaryBats
2014-11-06, 12:10 PM
"That is an incredibly useful ability," Kix murmurs in her quiet and gentle voice. A faint clicking sounds from behind her mask. "For my own curiosity, are there range limitations on your tapestry?"

Chimaera
2014-11-06, 12:20 PM
"It have some range limitations, as the spells normally do, but I'm a master in my craft and learned to extend my range so I can better protect everyone".

"Spells that would require touch to function will have a range of about 45ft and spells with greater range will have even more range. But since most transmutations and healings are normally touch spells, it would be wise to try to remain in a 45ft radius from me".

Touch Spells become Close range (45ft for arcane spells, 50ft for divine spells);
Close Range become Medium Range (190ft for arcane spells, 200ft for divine spells);
Medium Range become Long Range (360ft for arcane spells, 400ft for divine spells);
Long Range become Twice Long Range (720ft for arcane spells, 800ft for divine spells);

"There are also two limitations on the spells I can cast on the tapestry: I can only cast harmles effects and the choice must be the same for everyone: I could Polymorph everyone into an ogre for example, but wouldnt have an ogre, a troll and a goblin in the same casting".

NotScaryBats
2014-11-06, 12:24 PM
"Fascinating," Kix muses quietly.

Swami Monsoon
2014-11-06, 12:27 PM
Anwar still does not know everything about his new body, but the physicians and scholars he's consulted had all agreed that he was going to (absent some mishap) live a very, very long time. That prospect was both pleasing and more than a little scary. Would he be as strange as all of these... people... when he was their age?

"Well, let's get our heads together. What do we know about this mysterious letter writer? And how are we all connected to Karath? What was he expecting from us?"

He looks at Xanthax.

"If Karath trusted you, I guess I will. I'll take a place in the, uh, tapestry..."

Chimaera
2014-11-06, 12:28 PM
"How long for you to finihs casting this extradimensional space of yours?", Xanthax ask the ethergaunt glad someone else was speaking to him.

He eyes the two who never introduced themselves and wonder if they will play the game join the search for the culprits of killing Karath.

"This is what I can do. How about you, Kix?", he ask out of curiosity.

Chimaera
2014-11-06, 12:31 PM
The lammasu look at Anwar and smile, "Sure, but it'll take ten minutes more for me to add you in the tapestry" he says and begin redoing his work to add the frog character.

NotScaryBats
2014-11-06, 12:47 PM
Should no one object or come up with a better plan, Kix finishes her 15 minutes of preparations. She casts Mage's Magnificent Mansion (She has left several slots open for just such occasions) substituting 3 XP for the 3 (5 gp each) foci that the spell requires as allowed by Vow of Poverty.

The ethergaunt opts to answer the question with the culmination of her arcane preparations. In the span of a few seconds, Kix performs some complex somatic and verbal components with her long, alien fingers and bizarre clicking noises from behind her mask. There is a faint shimmering in the air when the spell is complete, and Kix stands before it.

"Beyond this portal, we will be safe from prying eyes and many divinations," she declares with neither pride nor guile. "Those of us who wish to move forward as a cooperative team are welcome."

Having said her piece, and under the impression that the group simply wanted a large space in which to plan and discuss, Kix disappears through the shimmering in the air. It remains behind her, twinkling invitingly.

As you pass through the portal, you step into the grand hall of a magnificent mansion of alien architecture. Geometric patterns sparsely decorate the walls and vaulted ceiling of the two-hundred square foot worked stone room, which has a large, granite table in the middle. There are several doors leading off this main room, and Kix stands, gaunt and unmoving, before the table. The atmosphere is clean, fresh, and cool. Those particularly savvy planeswalkers may have a hunch that this extradimensional space has been made to feel similar to the Ethereal Plane through its atmosphere and sparse decorations.

Chimaera
2014-11-06, 01:01 PM
The lammasu eyes the rest of the group and wonder who would come.
He walk through the portal and inside the ethereal mansion.

"Formidable work", he then cast a spell on himself and turn back into half-dragon (but human this time not elf), "May I sit?", he ask as he walks in two paws (feet) towards the table, but wait for permission.

Once granted (if granted) he sits and waits for the rest to come.

Logain Ablar
2014-11-06, 01:11 PM
Adriana and Bellona move through the portal into the extra-dimensional space.

Ah yes, the asceticism of the Ethergaunt. Still it is safe, and it is spacious.

She bows respectfully to Krix, as does the pegasus

I am Adriana della Lacrima, Huntress and Outrider. We thank you for opening your dwelling to us.

NotScaryBats
2014-11-06, 01:22 PM
"Of course you may sit. There exist many servants if you have any needs," Kix answers Xanthax in her usual gentle voice. As she mentions this, about a dozen near-transparent creatures that look like slight and colorless ethergaunts emerge from a door and wait upon those at the table.

To Adriana and Bellona, Kix uses what passes for an excited voice for the gentle and soft-spoken aberration, "I am amazed that you have heard of my people. There are precious few with that knowledge that I have met in my travels -- do you know what fate has befallen them?" She folds her fingers together before her and collects herself, "Welcome, Adriana and Bellona. I am Kix."

Logain Ablar
2014-11-06, 01:28 PM
I was sheltered for a short time by a small enclave of your people on the Ethereal plane. But that was nearly seven years ago, and when next I traveled that realm, I could not find them, nor any sign of them, and it is rare that my tracking skills are bested.

NotScaryBats
2014-11-06, 02:05 PM
"I see. That is a remarkable story, for the Khen-zai are not known for their hospitality. I am pleased to make your acquaintance."

Chimaera
2014-11-06, 02:48 PM
"You look hospitable enough though", Xanthax say with a friendly smile.

I guess I'll wait for the rest to manifest, but fell free to ask and talk with Xanthax :smallwink:

NotScaryBats
2014-11-06, 03:18 PM
"I... have never been told that before," Kix admits in a neutral voice. "There is a significant philosophical schism between myself and my people, however, and I believe I would no longer be welcome among them -- assuming any survive."

After a beat of silence, Kix adds, "But I thank you for the compliment."

Swami Monsoon
2014-11-06, 03:41 PM
Anwar enters the refuge and takes a seat at the table. He takes in the surroundings, feeling more than a little overmatched by this casual display of power.

I'm really out of my league here... but Karath wanted me to be a part of this. Whatever this is.

At the moment, Karath's confidence in him is as much a riddle as the mysterious assassin and whatever greater plan that led to all of this...

Elbeyon
2014-11-06, 04:12 PM
"Greetings, Ymelon, Adriana."

To Ymelon
Looking to the side "That is true. The inquiry seems unrelated to the suspicion though." They flick their wrist once or two at the subject. "We can discuss alignments some other time, or never.

It has been an abnormally long time since we've met with Karath. His invitation seemed unusually in a way we couldn't quite pin down. His wording seemed slightly off. Maybe? Enough so that I peeked into the future, not into anything personal, just about this meeting. To my detestation I bungled today. We have no physical proof, but you may not need any. I'd like to experience the death of my friend and at the same time I could give you some of my old memories of us together. We could share a few moments of our memories."

Shava makes their way into through the portal and away from Xanthax. They slip off their backpack and rest it against their chair's legs when they take a seat. Taking in the sights they pause their gaze on different parts of the room.

copycatcat
2014-11-06, 05:04 PM
"Greetings" is the word shouted from the entrance, though no body occupies it.

I then walk across to the table.

Chimaera
2014-11-06, 05:57 PM
"I was wondering if you would join us or not", Xanthax say to Celenea, "And was also wondering if you would join my tapestry as well, since you never voiced your decision...".

He then look at all at the table, "But let's talk business now. Someone killed Karath. Whoever did it did so to capture his knowledge and secrets which led me to think in two possibilities: a) he found out something that was important to remain hidden by the part of the murderer and so they plagued him with that disease so to kill him along with all the information he got and b) they targetted him specifically because she know something they want. I dont know Karath too well: he saved me in the past and I'm eternally grateful for what he did so I'll make sure to revive him and help out find what just happened and punish whoever did it".

"As for the letter we found. It's the only hint we have and can possible be three things: a) A distraction so we go and murder some innocent or someone who is the way of the killers, this way they keep their hands clean of that murder while maintain us busy looking for the wrong person, b) a real threat by the murderer or murderers, cause he feels untouchable or stupid enough, which I hardly believe since he or she used a very specific and powerful tool for murder and c) nothing. This Lady Whatever dont even exist and we would spend time divining and looking for her".

He pauses and wait for everyone to understand his logic, "Today I've got no spell prepared that can give us much insight in the matter, but I do have one divination that might help: Divination. It would let me ask a question and receive an answer - cryptic as it may be - about any matter. But I've got only a single use of this spell today and would like you to help me find the best way to cast it: what would be the best question we need".

Similar to augury but more powerful, a divination spell can provide you with a useful piece of advice in reply to a question concerning a specific goal, event, or activity that is to occur within one week. The advice can be as simple as a short phrase, or it might take the form of a cryptic rhyme or omen. If your party doesn’t act on the information, the conditions may change so that the information is no longer useful. The base chance for a correct divination is 70% + 1% per caster level, to a maximum of 90%. If the dice roll fails, you know the spell failed, unless specific magic yielding false information is at work.

As with augury, multiple divinations about the same topic by the same caster use the same dice result as the first divination spell and yield the same answer each time.

Doxkid
2014-11-06, 06:11 PM
Daegal follows the Ethrgaunt he has taken a slight liking to into the magically constructed abode, then finds a place near it to hear out the lesser beings accompanying him in his quest for revenge.

"This was Karath's way: swaying those on dark paths towards his light, and gathering those whose lights dim and sharing his own. That...is a separate matter though. My concern is who this Symaron is and how we can bring our darkness to bare against her, it, them or whatever we find.

I am Sage Daegal-Rael. I have power over the great balance of life, death and undead, and I will use the full extent of all three to punish those who dared harm my patron. You will bring me to those who need judgement and I will see to it they are put in their place."

Logain Ablar
2014-11-06, 07:09 PM
I too, have some questions for our newcomer, but you are right, we have more pressing matters. It seems we have two options with your divination. The first is to ask specifically about the legitimacy of this name "Lady Symaron." The second is to ask a more general question about finding Karath's killer. I think the second course of action will give us a better starting point.

Adriana unbuckles he sword belt, and leaves it, with both swords, propped by the door, and come to sit at the table.

Elbeyon
2014-11-06, 07:11 PM
Still inspecting the room, their hand motions over one of the ethergaunt servants, "We would like one of each dish prepared in this place."

To the shout Shava turns to the entrance to give a quick, shoulder height wave, "Hello. I'm Shava. What's your name?" They nod to Daegal-Rael and give their name as well.

"Xanthax, why do you assume this Symaron wanted Karath dead because he knew something? If she did those are reasonable motives. Though I won't pretend to know the truth behind this tragic affair I have some ideas.

A letter to the victim's friends is a boast that could suggest they have an ego to them. Leaving behind a physical link to the crime was a decision on their part. If the letter is real and it's motives true then this Symaron considers their name credit enough to turn away loved ones from pursing. Quite the boast. If this is a game to them and they're trying to frame an obstacle to themselves they've made a miscalculation. An obstruction to the killer is a linking thread, no matter how thin, that could point us to the writer. It might be possible that this letter means nothing and is just a distraction, but that's an awful risk for them for little gain. The paper itself can help with divinations.

It'd be understandable if they've protect themselves against direct attempts to gain information, but those attempts are still worth trying. Indirect methods will most likely be the best bet. I might be able to assist you with your question if I'm allowed to read the object for a couple of minutes. It might be possible to learn the line of owners' races, genders, ages, alignments, and how they obtained or "lost" the note."

Object Reading (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/objectReading.htm)

((Edit)) "If you have any questions Adriana ask them now. It's best to clear the air when given the chance instead of at an inopportune time. Sheltered away in an extradimensional space, discussing what to do today and tomorrow is the perfect time to ask questions. I doubt any hurrying today on our part will speed up the process of finding Symaron."

Logain Ablar
2014-11-06, 07:23 PM
I don't know how much help it would be but here is the note
She produces the note and hands it to Shava.

So, you're some sort of seer it seems? And why do you sometimes speak of yourself in the plural?

NotScaryBats
2014-11-06, 07:30 PM
"The reason it is assumed Symaron killed Karath for knowledge -- either to procure or to protect it -- is because the Gnaritans (that is, the intelligent bacteria used to perform the murder) are capable of extracting memories and information from the one they kill." Kix explains in response to Shava.

The servants begin to bustle about and bring refreshments for the group at Shava's urging, setting out a lavish -- if highly unusual -- tea.

Chimaera
2014-11-06, 07:46 PM
"I'm not affirming anything: it's a thesis: a starting point. I'm just thinking my line of thought: their motives and et cetera are hidden. But for them to use that kind of bacteria when a simple dagger in the back would do the job is suspicious. I'm trying to understand why they did it the way they did it. The answers will come in our search".

He watches Shava read the note and wait.

"The more answers we can bring up the best for us. If we bring questions up the better".

"We need a starting point and the more info the best for us to divine into the matter".

Elbeyon
2014-11-06, 08:02 PM
A page between their fingers Shava, "Thanks" Adriana. "I can only hope this will help. Sadly, I am no seer. We're only the acquittance of one kind enough to teach me what I know. A full reading would take nearly two hours if I want to learn as much as possible. That would leave me out of the conversation for longer than I care so I won't start until we seem prepared to do so."

"We often speak like we do because I often speak for more than myself. Not everything we or I say belongs to me alone." As the temporary servants place the tea Shava thanks them in turn. Replying to Kix and Xanthax, "I must have missed that part." A tap at the cups handle leads to Shava asking, "If you wouldn't mind, could you explain whatever they bring out."

((Shava will read the object when given the opportunity. There is a ten percent chance of missing one name forever, meaning the more names Shava can read at once the lower the chance that the name missed will be the one we want.))

Swami Monsoon
2014-11-06, 09:23 PM
Anwar thinks for a moment...

"The best question might be 'who wanted Karath dead and acted on that desire' instead of just 'who killed him.'" We don't know if the person behind this actually did the deed or just ordered... or paid... somebody to do it."

copycatcat
2014-11-06, 09:31 PM
"Or, allow me to clarify. It would be best to say your question as 'whose actions upon their desire to have the githzerai Karath dead were most successful', as this would be an excellent way to stop them from saying that just looking into possibilities counts as action upon the desire." (spoken in Auran)

Logain Ablar
2014-11-06, 09:34 PM
Adriana translates that into common for those who don't speak Auran

NotScaryBats
2014-11-06, 09:49 PM
"Are we intentionally leaving the Gnaritans out of this equation? I am unsure if they have a language, but unless my Planar Knowledge is obsolete, Celestials are capable of speaking with any creature that can communicate? Before divinations enter the picture, a simple inquiry into the level of intelligence of the bacteria and whether or not they can provide us with any clues may behoove us." Kix says gently. She does not sit -- chairs are awkward for the Khen-zai with their long arms -- but stands near the head of the table.

kinem
2014-11-06, 11:01 PM
Ymelon goes through the portal and into the extradimensional mansion.

"I can speak any language, thanks to a magical ability, but the Gnaritans don't seem like they would have a normal spoken language. Truth is, they just look like goo to me. I do not have telepathic abilities."

NotScaryBats
2014-11-06, 11:16 PM
"While they certainly appear as nothing more than ooze, I know them to be intelligent -- it is simply their method of transferring their collected knowledge that I am unaware of. I wonder if the bacteria cannot communicate in some meaningful way to facilitate this key function..." she has no method of communicating with the Gnaritans, so cannot go further with this line of thought.

Logain Ablar
2014-11-06, 11:25 PM
Well do any of you spell-slingers know how to cast some sort of mind reading magic?

NotScaryBats
2014-11-06, 11:29 PM
"I know an extremely powerful compulsion, but am uncertain if it would effect the Gnaritans," Kix admits quietly. "As creatures with ties to the negative energy plane, I wonder if they count as undead -- none among us is capable of Commanding undead, are they...?"

The ethergaunt is still quite preoccupied with the Gnaritans, feeling that they are the true solution to this puzzle before the group.

Chimaera
2014-11-06, 11:31 PM
"Tomorrow I can ready Tongues and we can all speak every language", he eyes Celenea, "So everyone can understand everyone", he says.

Even though it was kinda of a joke, he's bad at it and no one can really tell the joke purpose.

Chimaera
2014-11-07, 12:08 AM
"I also have a telepathic bond spell that I can use to link everyone in the tapestry, but the duration is short and I'm not sure if the Gnaritans are inteligent enough..."

Doxkid
2014-11-07, 01:11 AM
"I am not familiar with these beings, so I failed to offer my services. No matter; If they are as similar to undead as you have said I will have power over them in one way or the other. We shall see." The large Yuan-Ti produces his magical totem, a Silver Disk that that stinks of blood and fell foul rituals, and points at the mass of Gnaritans with his free claw.

"You will serve me." he demands. A pulse of his magic strikes the goo, hopefully bending it to his will.

--
Daegal-rael casts Command Undead on the Gnaritans. Will save DC 20 negates and mindless beings get no save.

Elbeyon
2014-11-07, 01:28 AM
Playing with the cup, running a finger around it's rim. Kix being unwilling to explain the intricacies of the drink was utterly disappointing. They wait before giving up and starting to sip at the tea.

"Interesting. It seems we could grant them the ability to understand a language, but giving a deaf creature the ability to understand a heard language seems pointless. I also have the ability to mentally communicate to creatures without a language; however, to work the gnaritans would have to be more intelligent than an animal and their mind would have to be touchable by magic. If intelligence wasn't a question perhaps someone could change their form to something humanoid? If they somehow became willing I might be able to do so, but to ensure that they are myself doesn't seem possible."

Chimaera
2014-11-07, 02:47 AM
"On an unrelated note... I can make THEM intelligent... But tomorrow. Today we plan".

Zalphon
2014-11-07, 09:59 PM
Dungeonmaster

The Gnaritans seem unaffected.

Chimaera
2014-11-07, 10:29 PM
"Well, I guess we wont be able extract info from them...", Xanthax say as he look at the black ooze, "Maybe we should keep it inside a flask and away from people, just in case".

He then look at Shava, "Please do the full reading of the note. We'll wait and think on how best to use the Divination spell, but I think it wont bring much info though..."

copycatcat
2014-11-07, 10:31 PM
"This might be useful: Does anyone, perchance, know how to talk to the (string of swear words in every language she knows) dead?"

Chimaera
2014-11-07, 10:34 PM
"I do, Celenea", Xanthax says, "I told previously that it was my plan to prepare the encessary spells for revivifying and speak to the dead just in case. But I'll have to wait till tomorrow".

"Now all we can do is try to get as much information from the note and from the divination... And with the info we get decide what to do".

copycatcat
2014-11-07, 10:45 PM
"I'd apologize, but I'm not such a creature. I merely forgot." in Auran

Chimaera
2014-11-07, 11:05 PM
"No apologizes would be necessary... It was a crowded party before. Speaking of which, I guess the rest wont be joining us...", Xanthax say and look at the ones who gathered there, "I'll begin casting my Divination and ask what good will do to chase after Lady Symaron unless someone have a better course of action for me to divine".

Swami Monsoon
2014-11-07, 11:55 PM
"When you're done with that, we should have another look at that letter. The paper, the script... maybe there are some clues beyond the text of the message."

NotScaryBats
2014-11-08, 12:57 AM
Kix continues to listen to the conversation, but has nothing to contribute just now.

Logain Ablar
2014-11-08, 01:08 AM
Ladies, Gentlemen, various.... other beings. I think we may be going about this the wrong way. Trying to raise, or speak with Karath is certainly a good course of action, but fear it may not provide much insight. And as has already been pointed out, this name Symaron may as likely be a fake or a misdirection as it is to be the actual name of our foe. There are only a few things we know for certain about this foe. Firstly, they knew or knew of Karath, and had some knowledge that they needed. They also either knew, or suspected that we would become involved somehow, and we must proceed under the assumption that they know a good deal about us. Finally, we can be certain that this enemy knew more about Karath than any of us. I think instead of chasing this name, which may as easily be a false trail as anything, I suggest our first course of action is to dig into Karath's past, and see where that leads us. If any of you have doubts about this course of action, let us use the divination to test my theory. Ask whatever power you serve this: Will we gain more knowledge of our foe by digging into Karath's past, instead of blindly chasing this Lady Symaron?

NotScaryBats
2014-11-08, 01:11 AM
"That very well may be a wise course of action..." Kix muses quietly. She hadn't thought of that angle.

Chimaera
2014-11-08, 01:16 AM
The lammasu smiles to Adriana, "I'll ask your question".

He then begin divining, communing with the forces of the cosmos to bring some answers to him.

"Will we gain more knowledge of our foe by digging into Karath's past, instead of blindly chasing this Lady Symaron?"

Casting it

Zalphon
2014-11-13, 11:30 PM
Dungeonmaster

"Lady Symaron is but a distraction."

copycatcat
2014-11-13, 11:34 PM
"Off we go, then. We might as well stay the night in this house..."

Cenelea casts Planeshift to head to the Chaos Archives.
Before leaving,
"See you in the morn! Or..?

Logain Ablar
2014-11-14, 02:06 AM
Well that was helpful even if it didn't quite give us a new lead.

Adriana gets one of the servant to bring her a cup of tea, and a bucket of water for Bellona

Although the <sylvan> Fey </sylvan> seems to have left us, I'd like to know more about the people to whom I may be trusting our lives. I suppose I must break the ice. I am a huntress and outrider. I am a masterful tracker, few can escape me once I have their trail, and fewer still could outrun Bellona here. Karath saved my life from some powerful beings that were hunting me to use me a their tool. At this she clenches her hand. Some of you might notice that her fingers seem to leave gouges in the tabletop He taught me how to use a sword. Perhaps he had other students here in Sigil? I know he was a Blademaster. Perhaps we could find his teacher if such a person still lives.

<Draconic>Lamassu,</Draconic> Xanthax is it? Tell us about yourself. What can you do and how do you know Karath? Can you thing of anything you know about him that we could follow up on?

Chimaera
2014-11-14, 01:13 PM
"With the divination showing the letter to be a distraction I think the best course of action is to have Shava do his readings to see if he can find any hint and wait for tomorrow to come so I can revive Karath, but not before trying to extract some information from his dead body...", he says the last part with a sad look in his face.

"Anyway, I think we all should know ourselves well: I'm Xanthax the Lore Keeper of the Celestial Library... Well former Lore Keeper. A band of cultists of some dark entity managed to trick me and steal several scrolls of great power that were keep in the Library due them being small artifacts of evil. Due my failure, I was fired and began to guilty myself and entered an self destructive spiral till I had no love for my life anymore and decided to singlehandled mess with those cultists..."

"I've got the beating of my life and was about to be used as sacrifice in some foul ritual when Karath appeared and put them on the run. I owe him my life. He not only saved me from the sacrificial dagger but also from myself".

"As for what I can do: I'm an arcane and divine spellcaster, specialized in conjurations mainly but my spellbook have several abjurations and transmutations as well. I also have the whole tapestry thing: I can cast spells on the tapestry to affect multiple targets with having to cast multiple copies of said spells and also in a larger range".

"With the spells I have prepared I can have a small group (us) become each a small one man army, which would become a several one man army... Funny, huh? I can boost, protect, heal and move you all with my spells. I've also got a plentyful of divinations from my divine spellcasting ability".

"And dont forget I'm a dragon: I got claws, wings and can breath fire. Normally I dont take on using them for these less civilized ways, but with the right spells and enough provocation I can slash one in half".

He then look at Kix and wait to hear her tale.

kinem
2014-11-14, 09:29 PM
"Xanathax, I too have failed in my duty" Ymelon admits "though it sounds like you were not really at fault.

As for me ... I was on a mission to slay some tanar'ri on the Material Plane. I did so, but foolishly attacked those who were with them as well. It was not self-defense. They looked strange and could not speak as we do. Not pausing to think, I had slain the innocent and good along with the guilty.

When I realized what I had done, I planned a suicidal attack on the Abyss. Along the way I met Karath and when he knew my story he told me several others. It convinced me that my life was worth living, and that I had much to learn.

As for my abilities, I am a strong fighter. I can heal with magic thanks to my heritage. I also have developed innate arcane spellcasting abilities, and certain psionic abilities as well, both of which serve me well in battle.

I might as well tell you, I can also take humanoid forms. I often disguise myself that way."

Zalphon
2014-11-14, 10:27 PM
Dungeonmaster

It should be noted that the home of Karath has more than one room to be explored...

Swami Monsoon
2014-11-14, 11:46 PM
Anwar pauses for a while before speaking. What would these people make of him, knowing that he was originally an ordinary human? Only a few decades old, not a few centuries... He thinks for a moment about inventing some kind of history for himself... Working in town he tries to cultivate an air of mystery to go with his intimidating looks. But these aren't some rubes from the Hive. They're likely to see through any lie he can think of, or notice any omission... Anyway, it was dishonesty that got him to where he is now. If he's going to win this group's trust he'll have to be honest. Mostly, at least. Karath would have undoubtedly wanted it that way...

"It's a long story... but keeping it simple... I'm really a "Prime," as they say here. At least I was born that way. Just a human. My family liked to talk about how they were descended from dragons, but I never showed any evidence of that... Then I had, uh, an accident. Well, not really an accident. They meant to kill me. In a really spectacular and gruesome way. And then... I don't know if something woke up in me, or it was the black magic thing they did to me... or both, maybe. But I changed into what you see now. So the people who took me decided to sell me as a curiosity. An exotic pet. Slavers brought me to Sigil. Karath found me, bought my freedom...

I don't know any magic. At least not any spells like you would cast. I can just... do... things now. I have very keen senses. I'm good at getting into and out of awkward places and not being seen. I can change shape a bit... be more human. Or less. I can fight a little. I can breathe sort of like a dragon breathes... if you need something set on fire or covered in boiling slime or just glued to the floor and puking its guts out... well, that's me. Probably nothing too impressive by your standards. But Karath wanted me here, so I must have something to offer..."

Logain Ablar
2014-11-15, 12:28 AM
Nothing wrong with being an ordinary human. Or an ordinary anything for that matter. Adriana sounds a little wistful as she says this.

Chimaera
2014-11-15, 12:56 AM
"I find humans fascinating: with such short life spans they can build entire empires while some of the oldest dragons live alone fearing their own race and living for their hoard alone", Xanthax tell Anwar.

NotScaryBats
2014-11-15, 01:27 AM
Kix listens intently to everyone's stories. When it is time for her to tell her own, she makes an odd clicking noise from behind her emotionless, bisected mask. "My people, the Khen-zai, were once plentiful, and ruled the Ethereal with an iron fist. We would raid -- or perhaps, the word is inadequate. We would exterminate entire populations of Primes, systematic as the slaughter of livestock. It was taught to every Khen-zai that emotion is weakness, and our hereditary home was the Prime Material Plane. Our extermination campaign was simply paving the way for our race's grand return to that which was rightfully ours.

"I have killed countless individuals." Kix's voice is calm and gentle as she speaks, and her uncanny stillness is unbroken even with the recanting of the terrible deeds of her past. She continues.

"On one of our routine missions, I was captured and abandoned by my people. Those that captured me put me in a pitfighting arena, to battle with slaves and gladiators until such time as I would die. My arcane might gradually ran out; I spent it recklessly in shows of force thinking my people would return for me before I exhausted myself. Such... was not the case. The chosen weapon of my people is called an Etherblade, and when my spells ran out, it was all I had left.

"Grahl, an orcish pitfighter, became my companion when I could no longer entertain a crowd with my arcane prowess. We fought together for a time, before opportunity knocked and we fled the place together. It was Grahl that taught me the value of a life. I understood so little of the trials and tribulations of the people I had killed en masse, and living as they did... humanized them to me. I began to question my people's mission, and returned to the Ethereal to search for answers.

"I found the Enclaves of the Khen-zai, with discarded weaponry, charged spellbooks, and devices of mass warfare, but none of people. To this day, I know not what fate has befallen them. Perhaps they extinguished themselves with their destructive spells and creations, or perhaps they were exterminated by some grand enemy. What I do know is the murderous ways of my people are flawed.

"Though I know now the error of my ways, my deeds stain me." Kix pauses for a moment as her story is finished. She explains her abilities briefly, "I have forsworn violence and killing. I ask that my companions take prisoners rather than slay enemies when possible. My greatest ability is my arcane magic."

Swami Monsoon
2014-11-15, 11:59 AM
Anwar responds to Xanthax...

"Well, they tell me that now I'm going to live a very, very long time. If nothing goes wrong."

He pauses. But things go wrong in this place all the time. That's why they're here. And Karath isn't. Kix's account only reminds him further of how strange and dangerous the place he now calls home is. These people are scary, even if they're on his side.

"Don't worry about that. I have to talk tough and look scary sometimes while I'm on the job, but I'm in no hurry to kill anyone..."

Logain Ablar
2014-11-15, 01:58 PM
I cannot give you that promise. Sometimes to protect life, a life must be taken. I have, and continue to hunt creatures like what you used to be that would take life so casually. I find them, I run them down, and I end them s that they may no longer bring suffering to others. I do not take life casually, or without need, but I cannot promise you that I wil stay my hand should the need arise.

Chimaera
2014-11-15, 03:02 PM
"I try to avoid violence as much as possible so I guess we shouldnt have much problem", Xanthax say to Kix.

I thought we had searched all the place not just the room where we were talking.
Can we take 20 and search the whole place all around?

Logain Ablar
2014-11-15, 04:06 PM
I thought we had searched all the place not just the room where we were talking.
Can we take 20 and search the whole place all around?

Yeah, that's what I thought too. That was my intent, not just that I search the room we were in, but that I search the whole place.

NotScaryBats
2014-11-16, 01:24 AM
Kix seems to have expected some resistance to her Vows, and graciously accepts Xanthax and Anwar's responses. To Adriana, the ethergaunt calmly says, "I do not condemn your way of life, though I firmly believe execution is never the answer. Further, I have no problems with you defending yourself in the heat of battle however you choose, but I ask that any prisoners we take fall under my care."

Zalphon
2014-11-16, 09:30 AM
Dungeonmaster

Upon searching through his home, it becomes apparent that this place is much larger on the inside than it is outside. It is as you wander throughout that you determine the home is split into several wards. You can tell they're separate because the architecture of the room changes, as well as the furnishing style and there's always a long hallway between two wards where as wards are sets of three to five rooms of varying size that can all be accessed without halls.

This ward is clearly meant to serve as the one in which he trains, but there's so much more to it. You see alcoves in the architecture. As you progress throughout the chambers, your eye is eventually caught by a set of statues at the end of a long room that's relatively spartan except for statues in the alcoves and a long, hand-statue with claws grasping a black orb. If you approach it, you hear an ominous voice in your mind: "The Gauntlet is not meant for the weak of heart--test it if you dare."

If you're attentive, you notice the statues on the far end of the room (with the Claw-Statue) depict you all. Every detail. The shape of your eyes, the way your lips curl when you frown (or grin), even that scar you got when you were a kid that you thought nobody knew about. It's on these statues.

Other rooms include an armory and one room actually descends to a vast arena pit.

This ward consists of five rooms.

A library that is quite literally larger than some villages you've come across. It is in here that you notice there are some books he keeps locked away in a special, restricted section. But for whatever reason--the Force Portcullis (that oddly enough, you can see) dissipates when you touch it. The Restricted Section is home to grimoires, spellbooks, and all manner of dark tomes that man should never read.

There are several books which stand apart.

The Grimoire of Ka'nalex (DC 25 Religion Check to identify who Ka'nalex is). It is when your fingers run across the spine that your entire body experiences a bolt of electricity run throughout it. For a moment, you see yourself standing in a special chamber deep beneath the surface with several liches kneeling before you.

The Grimoire of Adras (DC 35 Religion Check to identify who Adras is). It is when your fingers run across the spine that you feel a strange warmth. Divine spellcasters who touch it do not feel that strange warmth. They feel closer to their deity than they ever have before. Whatever this book is, it is powerful--exceptionally powerful.

The Grimoire of Marsa (DC 35 Arcana Check to identify who Marsa is). It is when your fingers run across the spine that a your fingers emit a tiny jet of flame or let out a few drops of acid--too small to do any real damage however--but definitely strange. Arcane Casters who touch it feel their entire bodies burn as if they are a dying star about to go into a nova.

The Voices of Madness (DC 20 Religion/Arcana Check to tell what this is).

The Spellbook of Morthian (DC 25 History Check)

Once you leave the library, you find stairs descending to a menagerie--or perhaps a prison for all manner of creatures. Various creatures are trapped within tiny bags each labeled. A few of the more notable ones are:

"Izmarus the Fallen: Once a heroic solar who fell from grace. Now he spends eternity within these walls."

"Lord Kyrian Ratharin: A powerful lich who stood beside the Immortal Empire and advised the Tyrant of Death. Now he will forever rule the walls of his tiny prison."

"Cth'agra: A hero who stood against horrors so great that they mutated his very form and mind. Now he must remain here and hopefully recover--one day."

Beyond the Prison, you discover an alchemical laboratory complete with gardens of more herbs than you've ever seen. All neatly organized and aligned perfectly.

It is in the next room, the Spellforge, that you all see it. Tiny figurines of perfect resemblance to you. They walk, they speak to one-another, they perform all manner of actions--exactly how you do. Their voice--is your voice. And they even cast spells at one another, that you know.

This ward is composed of one gargantuan, dome-shaped room that has doors all around that lead to tiny dome-shaped rooms with statues similar to the one you found in the Ward of the Blademaster grasping orbs. However, these orbs seem to be--planets, you think?

You come across various ones. Abeir-Toril, Krynn, Athas, and several others. However one of these orbs is not like the others. It is covered within a misty fog. It is titled: "Maris".

Every one of the rooms has a group of statues depicting several individuals of note in each of the rooms. Abeir-Toril had a few of note:

-Elminster Aumar, a human wizard.
-Drizz't Do'urden, a Drow Ranger.
-Kelmevor, a Human Fighter.
And several others.

Krynn:

-Raistlin Majere, a--human? Wizard.
-Caramon Majere, a Human Fighter.
-Tanis Half-Elven, a Half-Elven Fighter.
-Tasslehoff, a Gnomish or Halfling Rogue you think.

Athas:

-Various sorcerer-kings.

The one of Maris is strange. There are several beings depicted:

-Myris, a human woman clad head-to-toe in black platemail with a longsword and kiteshield ready.
-Zalphon Broodikus, a Drow with deep blue eyes clad head-to-toe in full plate with a greatsword drawn and ready.
-Morsan, a Ratman creature with a gittern being strum.

There are several others, but those are the ones that draw your attention first. You do notice that there are statues of you all. But under different names. But every detail is there...

As you look into the orb--you see something. You see the orb's fog thicken. Something of cataclysmic nature is happening within this orb and you can't be entirely sure as to what.

Chimaera
2014-11-16, 12:00 PM
"If we explore the place we better have ways to contact each other", he says before casting a spell to link their minds together.

Targets: himself and the tapestry (minus himself), making them all telepathic bonded.

You forge a telepathic bond with another creature with an Intelligence score of 6 or higher. The bond can be established only with a willing subject. You can communicate telepathically through the bond regardless of language. No special power or influence is established as a result of the bond. Once the bond is formed, it works over any distance (although not from one plane to another).

"If anyone find anything interesting, just relay through telepathy".

As Xanthax wonder through the several wards, he's more inclinated to search the Ward of the Arcannum.

"A library with several books and grimoires, hmmm", he thinks to himself and go around looking for at the tomes, but not before trying to watch for magic.

Detect Magic on the room and objects
Spellcraft [roll0]

"What a strange collection he got here...", he says as he tries to remember each name inscribed in those heavy and dusty tomes. He cast a then a spell between himself and the whole tapestry minus him.

You touch two allies, and for a moment their features change so that they seem to blend their appearances into one new creature.
When you cast this spell on two subjects, you create a mystical link between them.
For the duration of the spell, the subjects gain a +2 bonus on any skill checks they make, as long as at least one of the characters has 1 rank or more in the skill.
In addition, if either character has ranks in a skill that is not normally usable by untrained characters (such as Tumble), the other character can make untrained checks using that skill.
Material Component: A knotted rope.

Duration: 90 mins

The Grimoire of Ka'nalex: Religion [roll1] DC 25
The Grimoire of Adras: Religion [roll2] DC 35
The Grimoire of Marsa: Arcana [roll3] DC 35
The Voices of Madness: Religion [roll4] and Arcana [roll5] DC 20 each
The Spellbook of Morthian: History [roll6] DC 25

He then watch the several prison bags and the figurines.
"It seems Karath was keeping an eye in more people that were close to fall in disgrace... Just like us. But apparently he failed those and imprisoned them here... Who else might he been spying on?"

Xanthax then wanders towards the Ward of the Blademaster.
He watches the warning and the arena pits and is curious to descend there and check what the test may be, but before he do he decide to investigate the last ward.

When the big lammasu reach Ward of the High Watchman his suspicions begins to take form.
"It seems he's been watching across several planes of existance for people in the verge of ruin to rescue them from themselves apparently", that's when he notices the thick fogs around Maris.

He stop and frown at the Maris orb and pause for a moment, trying to remember if he ever heard or read about a plane with that name.

Knowledge Planes regrding those planes, specifically Maris
[roll7]

He then move back to the first room and wait for the rest.

"Very interesting things here indeed... I wonder what they all mean and if any of you would like to accompany me into the arena pits and check it?"

He cast several spells on the tapestry, but this time they dont take immediate effect, instead they stay in stasis in the tapestry.

Xanthax will be casting the following spell in the tapestry.
They dont take effect yet and I can spend a move action anytime today to release one or more spells from it.

Draconic Might
Divine Agility
Owl's Wisdom
Conviction

Logain Ablar
2014-11-16, 03:38 PM
Adriana and Bellona wander briefly through The Ward of Arcanum. They take little interest in the books, other than that they are old and obviously powerful. They stop briefly at the prison, and murmurs a benediction at Cth'agra and the occasional curse at the others, especially the Solar. Passing through the garden Bellona thinks that some of the herbs look tasty, and Adriana reminds her that it is unwise to eat random alchemical herbs. The are very impressed with the spellforge, but really have no idea what it could be used for.

Bellona then wanders into The Ward of the High Watchman. She looks around, and asks through the telepathic bond are these orbs are merely scrying devices, or if they might be used to travel to these other worlds? Anyone who failed to realize that Pegasi have human like intelligence is surprised at this.

Adriana walks into the The Ward of the Blademaster. She pauses and looks around thoughtfully. Memories flash through the telepathic bond: Karth, blade dripping black and golden blood standing over her as a young child. Karath first teaching her how to hold a sword. Hours of training and sparing matches between her and Karath. The sword flying out of her hand again and again until one day, she manages to disarm Karath.

Adiana draws her longsword and spends a minute working through basic sword forms then seamlessly draws her shortsword and works it into the forms as well. he end with a final flourish, and sheaths her weapons. She thinks about all that she owes Karath and all that he taught her. She realizes she will miss him, seen though she hadn't seen him in years. It was a comfort just to know that he existed, and now he is gone. She struggles to find a name for this emotion, but her mind doesn't seem to work right just now. "Why am I crying?" she wonders to herself. Realizing as she sheathes her swords that her face is wet.

Anyone who hasn't yet seen through Adriana's disguise will realize when they see the statues that she is not quite as human as she appears: Golden tinted skin, reddish/bronze claws, fangs (not very prominent, but still visible when she speaks) with angular almost predatory features, and small reddish/bronze horns rising up through her auburn hair and curled back slightly about an inch from her head.

She goes and searches the armory (Take 20=35), and when she is finished (unless she finds something interesting) she approaches the statues. She is particularly drawn to the black orb, and is eager to accept the challenge of this gauntlet.

Zalphon
2014-11-16, 05:46 PM
Dungeonmaster

Ka'nalex isn't a creature, nor a man. It is a persona--an icon--which was founded in the First War of Necromancy. The original Ka'nalex was an abomination of nature. A mortal who drank the blood of Anthor and became the first Ka'nalex.

The Ka'nalex became one of their most powerful weapons. He was a walking personification of the Living Nightmare. He would walk into an army of the living and their body parts would become a tempest whirling around him, continuously growing until none of them would live.

It was Myris (the Goddess of War, then a Mortal) herself who struck down the Ka'nalex. She gave her life to do so--calling upon every ounce of willpower and literally siphoning the life of thousands to sustain her as she battled it. It is now that the Ka'nalex is a symbol.

A Lich only takes up the mantle of the Ka'nalex in necromantic crusades. It is then that he is the commander of all the forces within their control. He is the unquestioned leader and his word is law. To disobey the Ka'nalex in a necromantic crusade is to earn a special place in oblivion.

Adras isn't a person. It is a moon in Maris. It is the Scarlet Moon and it is believed to be a well-spring of divine magic.

Marsa, like Adras, isn't a person. It is the twin to Adras; it is the Azure Moon and is believed to be the source of arcane magic.

The Voices of Madness is an in-depth field guide to the Far Realms. However, it is considered to be a worthless book except to collectors due to its indecipherable texts. Even magic can not comprehend the words.

This occult tome is more than guide to the Far Realms. It was written by a creature now known as Cth'agra. The alien texts are not meant to be read--but thought. For they are thought patterns, not written texts.

Morthian was the moniker used to describe the first traveler from Maris. A formless being bound in pages of a spellbook. It was long ago that he was bound back to the spellbook from whence he came. For reasons that you do not know.

You have a basic knowledge of most of the other planes, except for Maris.

With your roll, you know barely anything about Maris. You only know about the Ka'nalex because Karath mentioned it once. However, the rest of Maris is largely a mystery.

The Black Orb remains motionless. Ready to allow you to enter the Gauntlet--if you're ready.

kinem
2014-11-16, 06:22 PM
arcana vs Voices of Madness [roll0]
arcana vs orbs [roll1]
planes vs Maris [roll2]

ooc: Ymelon has not joined the Tapestry.

"In battle I do not always take prisoners. That must depend on the situation and the nature of the foe. Yet I will spare those I feel that I safely can."

Ymelon explores the Wards with great interest, albeit little understanding. He dwells particularly on Izmarus the Fallen Solar, but then moves on.

"Karath was apparently rather more powerful than I thought. There is much knowledge here that a foe might want. Yet now it seems even stranger that Karath was bested by something there would been have time to deal with. It is clear that he could have obtained nearly any possible magical remedy, perhaps even one as unique as what killed him.

As for the likenesses of us ... I find it disturbing. He was a friend, true, but this goes beyond any ordinary interest between friends. It suggests other motives, or perhaps an unhealthy obsession.

Perhaps we must investigate this Maris place."

He goes to watch Adriana attempt the challenge of the gauntlet, with some interest in trying it himself.

Logain Ablar
2014-11-16, 06:27 PM
Does Bellona notice anything unusual with her scent ability in the rooms she's wandered through?

Adriana calls Bellona. They confer briefly. She then looks to the others and drops her disguise. She stands there in her natural appearance, wing spread wide, skin and claws gleaming, and fangs flashing. We will accept the challenge of this gauntlet. She and Bellona reach out to touch the orb. (ooc: I assume that is what we're suppose to do)

Zalphon
2014-11-16, 06:35 PM
Dungeonmaster

Make a Will Save if you touched the Orb of the Gauntlet. Roll high.

Chimaera
2014-11-16, 06:45 PM
"The books on the library contain some information about teh Far Realm, necromancy and the Maris plane... It seems there is something weird going on Maris...", Xanthax tell everyone in the tapestry through the mental link.

He then walks to Adriana and watch as she drops the disguise (which he already was able to see through thanks to the True Seeing spell), "I wonder if this gauntlet is a solo combat or something like that... You want to try it alone?"

Logain Ablar
2014-11-16, 06:48 PM
Adriana Will Save: d20+10=30 (ooc: relieved sigh)
Bellona Will Save: d20+6=23 (ooc: gulp)

Zalphon
2014-11-16, 07:21 PM
Dungeonmaster

Adriana and Bellona both experience it. The world becomes a prismatic swirl all around them. Their body feels like its being pulled in a hundred different directions by the soft pull of the tide. Then it gets worse. A wave of force slams against your bodies and both of them fall into unconsciousness.

It is when they wake up that they find themselves in the presence of a blue-eyed Drow. His ebony hair flows down to his pauldrons, resting upon it peacefully. He's wearing half-plate and looks at you two. Upon his back is a long, quite large greatsword.

"Where's Karath?" he asked. His voice inquisitive and ripe with suspicion.

Behind the Drow stands a human with well-groomed brown hair and a well-trimmed beard (much in contrast to the Dark Elf whose hair is a wild mess). The Human looks at them with his honey-brown eyes, his eyes ripe with curiosity--but he said nothing. Not yet anyways. The Dark Elf would handle this.

Logain Ablar
2014-11-16, 07:52 PM
owe... What happened? Where are we? Adriana wonders aloud as she wakes. She sees the drow and scrambles back a little as she gets to her feet. She addresses the drow in Undercommon. Karath? Are you friends with him? She uses the telepathic bond to tell Bellona to use her detect evil and detect good abilities on them.

Do either of them recognize either of these two from any of the statues?

Zalphon
2014-11-16, 08:10 PM
Dungeonmaster

"Speak the tongue, I speak," the Drow barked. "Not whatever infernal tongue that is."

No, you don't recognize either of them. However--you do recognize the Drow's sword as the one used by the other statue of the Drow.

Logain Ablar
2014-11-16, 08:15 PM
My apologies. I try to address those I meet in their native tongue. I thought all drow spoke undercommon. I asked if you are friends of Karath.

Zalphon
2014-11-16, 08:31 PM
Dungeonmaster

"I've no idea what a Drow is, but yes--we are friends. Now you're going to answer where Karath is."

Logain Ablar
2014-11-16, 08:43 PM
Then it is my unfortunate duty to inform you that Karath has been slain. By whom I know not, but they used foul necromantic creatures call gnaritans to drain him. We found a note from a Lady Symaron claiming to be the culprit, but a diviner in our group has determined that this is a ploy to distract us.

May I ask as to who you are and where we are?

Logain Ablar
2014-11-16, 08:45 PM
She finds it odd that this drow does not know what a drow is, and is still waiting for Bellona to report to her the results of detect good and detect evil.

Zalphon
2014-11-16, 09:16 PM
Dungeonmaster

The spell proves ineffective. As though it simply did not work, for she can not even sense the absence of either within this creature.

"Lady Symaron? Gnaritans?" the Dark Elf mouthed with a look of shock on his face. That look was replaced with one of absolute disgust. And it was tinted with frustration.

"Winters," he turned over his shoulder to the human. "Head to the Citadel Makarim--this has taken a turn for the worse."

The Human looked at him, "You sure that you'll be safe with them, Asharan?"

"I can handle them--you know that."

"Of course you can, you always argue."

"Only because I'm always right, Winters."

The Human flashed a slight grin, but it was gone as quick as it had came, and he walked out.

The Drow looked to them and shook his head. His blue eyes clearly betraying his emotions as they showed that he was under an intense amount of stress. However hard he was trying to hide it, he just couldn't. It simply wasn't going to happen.

He looked over to them and extended his gauntlet-clad hand to shake. "Colonel Asharon Broodikus," he introduced himself as he shook their hand. "Commander of the Dragon's Head Legion in the Eastern Heartlands."

The Drow then continued to speak. "We're in the Eastern Heartlands of Süthran. I take it your friends of Karath--did he fill you in on the situation?"

Logain Ablar
2014-11-16, 09:55 PM
I fear Karath had time to tell us very little. He called us and several others together to his home in Sigil. He passed from this world right in front of us, but before he had time to tell us anything.

She accepts and shakes his had. I am Adriana, Huntress and Outrider. This is is my friend and steed Bellona.

We were spread out through his house searching for clues as to what was going on, and who might have killed him. In one of the wards was a statue holding a black orb. It offered a challenge, which I accepted. I touched the orb and it brought the two of us here.

She tried reaching out to the others through the telepathic bond. (I assume that's going to fail)

I do not know if they are going to try to follow me here, nor do I know how to return, short of searching out a porr\tal back to Sigil.

Zalphon
2014-11-16, 10:06 PM
Dungeonmaster

Surprisingly, it doesn't fail. For whatever reason, your telepathic bond is still functioning.

The Colonel shakes his head and takes a deep breath. He just looks at them and one can see it. The mist in his eyes accumulating, but its gone in a blink. "You're in Maris, Traveler," he slowly explained. "And you've come to join us during the worst war in recorded history--worse than anything we've ever had. This time...you've come to the Godswar."

"It was centuries ago that it all began," he continued. "A group of corrupt heroes known as the Covenant turned on the gods and began to hunt them. Two of the gods, Aranthis and Saeth were felled before they disappeared in their entirety."

The Dark Elf took a deep breath before continuing and took a deep swig from a waterskin.

"No god escaped unscathed. And it is for that reason that the New Gods came about. And it was about seventy years ago that our world was threatened by an insane harbinger of the end times, the White Harbinger," he explained. "The White Harbinger unleashed a blight to destroy all life and bring it back as thralls to D'mare, the Goddess of Plagues. However--the Old Gods returned. And it is they who wanted their claim to dominion back."

"The New Gods refused, naturally, and thus the Godswar began. Many have forgotten the Old Gods--or had. Thus we who serve the Old are a minority, but we can not allow them to take victory. Lest we risk our world. The war has been continuing for seven decades now and I've been fighting since it began. And it shows no sign of letting up--not anytime soon."

"Regarding getting back to...Sigil? You're going to have some difficulty. The only man I knew who had the power to travel to other Planes beyond the ones we've already discovered was Karath--the Traveler."

Logain Ablar
2014-11-16, 10:28 PM
Adriana is speechless. After a moment she relays this information back to the others through the link.

Well, I seem stuck here for the moment at least, and you seem to know something of Karath, and he seemed to have some investment in you and your war, so for the moment, I shall come with you, if you'll have me. My goal is to avenge Karath, perhaps here I can find more information on who or what my quarry is.

She looks around to see what she can learn about the area.

Spot=1d20+20=29

Zalphon
2014-11-16, 10:35 PM
Dungeonmaster

"Do you have any others coming?"

Logain Ablar
2014-11-16, 10:38 PM
There were several others with us at Karath's house. Whether they can or will follow me here, I do not know.

Through the telepathic bond: What do you make of this, and are any of you coming to join me?

Zalphon
2014-11-16, 10:44 PM
Dungeonmaster

You're clearly inside a heavily fortified citadel. You're actually in what you could assume is a command center from all of the tables with maps and pieces on them. As well as the fact that you can't see an exit or an entrance meaning they clearly don't want this to be somewhere people get into easily.

NotScaryBats
2014-11-17, 12:14 AM
Kix, too, walks through the various fantastical rooms and wards. She considers her knowledge of the various grimoires, puzzles over her ally's disappearance through the mysterious orb, and is generally concerned with the true nature of what is going on here.

When Adriana begins relaying information through the telepathic bond, Kix tries her best to take it in. She will attempt to take the Spellbook of Morthian from the shelf, explaining, "Within this book is bound Morthian, the first traveler from Maris. I know not why it was bound to these pages, but if we wish to travel to Maris, perhaps this book will help us on our journey." The ethergaunt tries to give the book to Xanthax for safe-keeping.

Chimaera
2014-11-17, 07:48 AM
Once Adrianna contact then, Xanthax look at the others and at the books.

As Kix comes to him and hand the Book of Morthian, he open his mouth and swallow it along with the other tomes.

"I guess the former Lore Keeper can keep a few tomes safely...", he says to Kix and then close his eyes reaching for Adrianna, "I'm following you, please stay where you appeared in Maris".

He moves in and touch the black orb.

Swami Monsoon
2014-11-17, 06:14 PM
Anwar has some passing familiarity with matters arcane from his less than stellar academic career, but what he finds in Karath's mansion is beyond anything he's seen in his part-time job peddling magical trinkets. But its the statues that concern him the most. He quickly figures out that the statues by each globe represent heroes or other prominent figures from those worlds. But the others... from what he's heard from the rest of the group, they could have earned great renown as heroes. Or villains. But why is there a statue of him? What has he ever done that is worthy of notice?

He gathers with the others near the cloudy globe.

"Are you sure you should be touching tha--"

After Adriana vanishes he glances anxiously at Xanthax.

"Can you still sense them?"

Chimaera
2014-11-17, 07:02 PM
"The link remains so theoritcally she's still on this very plane", Xanthax amswer to Anwar before touching the orb himself.

Zalphon
2014-11-17, 07:17 PM
Dungeonmaster

Those who touched the orb undergo a similar experience in the Prismatic Ocean before opening their eyes right next to their companion.

The Drow just shakes his head, "It's your turn to fill them in. I did it for you."

Logain Ablar
2014-11-17, 08:27 PM
Aloud, in Draconic, Adriana explains to Xanthax (and whoever else follows him) what the drow has told her even though she's already explained it through the bond.

More importantly, through the telepathic bond, she sends I'm not sure how much I trust these people, and we are in the center of their fortress with no obvious escape. I didn't mention the telepathic bond and I suggest we keep it a secret. It never hurts to have an ace in the hole when dealing with an unknown. I'll keep explaining the situation aloud to keep up appearances.

She resumes her disguise, for dealing with yet more strangers

kinem
2014-11-17, 11:01 PM
"Karath must have had some way back here. Since it looks like we're all heading through that thing, I just hope we can find it."

Ymelon's wings vanish as he changes into a human form. His face is a little different as well, but those who know him can still recognize him, especially since his armor and equipment remain the same.

He also raises his protective aura.

+4 resistance bonus to saves and +4 deflection to AC, both vs. evil attackers only, for all creatures within 20'
magic circle against evil effect within 20'
lesser globe of invulnerability within 20'; this prevents all spells and SLAs of 3rd level or lower from functioning in that area, but they can be cast out from it

He then touches the globe as the others did.

NotScaryBats
2014-11-18, 02:39 PM
Kix feels there are still worthwhile items to be gained in the Blademaster's wards, but decides to follow her allies into the unknown. She reaches out a long-fingered hand and travels to Maris.

When she arrives on the other side, she composes herself as still and stoic as ever, though her thick, fibrous hair tests the air with curiosity and wariness.

After being filled in both telepathically and verbally, Kix speaks in her calm, collected voice, "Colonel Broodikus, you resemble a type of elf from our planes called Drow -- characteristically evil subterranean elves in service to the Spider Goddess Lolth. Though I intend no offense in comparing you to such a creature, I must ask what you call your race." The ethergaunt makes a clicking sound from behind her mask and sends through the telepathic bond to her allies, "I agree that caution is key in our first contact with the inhabitants of this plane."

Zalphon
2014-11-18, 05:11 PM
Dungeonmaster

He looked at Kix, his eyes flashed with a sudden understanding. "That is what you call us? Drow?"

He paced slowly and stated calmly, "Shakal is the term we've been given by our High Elven cousins. We are Slyth, due to our history, in our own tongue. And 'dark elves'--we've been termed by the uneducated filth whom know nothing of our people." When he says that word--filth--there seemed to be a certain level of malice in his tone. Malice fueled by anger--even hatred.

"And Spider Goddess?" he asked slowly, as if feeling how the words sound rolling off his tongue. "No, my people have never worshipped a spider. Our traditional faith has lied with the Lord of Fear since the House Wars eras before. However, since the Godswar began--worship of others within the Old Pantheon has expanded amongst those in the Slyth Ascendancy, but our patron is still Anthor. And Myris, the Goddess of War and Lady of the Killing Fields--our sworn enemy--has taken up a place of reverence for her role in the Godswar as our commander as well."

NotScaryBats
2014-11-18, 05:51 PM
"And I am Kix, the last of the Khen-zai. I suspect we will find many such incongruities during our stay here," Kix replies simply. "Now, what aid was Karath rendering you in your Godswar, and how can we help?"

Zalphon
2014-11-18, 06:15 PM
Dungeonmaster

"Karath was the Commanding General of the Korinthian Armada. The Armada which composes all of our forces on this continent, Traveler," the Colonel said, looking down. His eyes growing a bit misty as he thought of the Gith.

"He was more than that however--he was a symbol of hope. Of unity between the two worlds. Sigil and Maris; he was the one who would unite the Sigilians under our banner to fight against the Usurpers. But he is gone now." With that final sentence was a loss of all emotion. As though a wintry breeze had blown over his soul.

"And I have a proposal for how you could help--how all of you could help. He mentioned a gateway. Between our two worlds," the Colonel spoke slowly--watching to make sure they understood. "If you could find it--we could beseech your people for aid in these harrowing times. We are outnumbered and outfought. This war has taken everything from us. The blood of our brothers and sisters will forever stain the world. Our families are shattered and broken. Everything we've fought for--we're losing in this war."

The Colonel's blue eyes showed a flash of pain. He'd lost someone, maybe more--and it showed.

kinem
2014-11-18, 06:56 PM
"Colonel Broodikus, I am Ymelon. There's still a lot I would like to know.

First, what is at stake in this war? I know it's the old gods against the new. What I don't know is why mortals should care which group wins. Are the new gods all evil while the old are not? Even if so, I would like more proof than the word of people on one side of the conflict. It is all too common among mortals to think the other side evil when in fact both sides are practically mirror images that commit the same amount of evil in the name of what they consider good.

In fact, if there is any chance that an impartial outsider could help negotiate a truce, perhaps we could best help that way.

Also, if this is a war among gods, why are mortals fighting it? I am a warrior myself, and a proud one, used to facing demons, but against a god I expect I could do little. Who do your armies truly fight? I know it is not the gods themselves, for you could not.

Finally ... I don't know what Karath told you about Sigil, but you should know this: There are certainly many of goodwill in Sigil, and some might rally to your cause. But most residents are not warriors. And also, there is no shortage of villains there either, including those who would like nothing better than to see as much death and destruction as possible. You may well get aid from Sigil; but uniting it for your side is but a pipe dream. More realistic however is getting the message to one particular faction, or to a powerful group from the planes beyond Sigil. It is but one city albeit a large one."

Zalphon
2014-11-18, 07:05 PM
Dungeonmaster

"The Old Gods are those who've guided our world for eons. The New Gods are young, naive--foolish. Even I am older than they," he begins. "And a truce--will not happen, unfortunately. The Usurpers refuse to accept their place as subservient to the True Gods--who sired them through no desire of their own."

The Colonel looked down, shaking his head. "We of the Raven's Armadas and Fleets fight against their mortal forces. Those of the Order of the Raven combat the gods and their divine agents. We stand as pawns in the game, but even a pawn can change the game forever."

"Karath," the Colonel paused. "Karath mentioned Sigil was a place of gathering for many of the most powerful adventurers and arcanists across the realms. We need their aid--or more accurately, the Order needs their aid. The Order is instrumental in this war. And know this, Travelers, even mortals can change the war. The remaining Old Gods who have not been slain--Anthor, Cüthrasa, Naleth, Myris--of them--all, but Cüthrasa were once mortal. Mortals are what sparked the birth of the New Gods, you know."

Chimaera
2014-11-18, 08:25 PM
Xanthax listen the colonel's tale.
"I guess if Karath was helping you in this war it was for a good reason. I'm Xanthax and would like to help. I think we'll nees to find this portal between the worlds toget back home anyway. Do you have any hints on where the gate may be? And do you have some pressing matter that need tp be done other than plan? We may be a small group, but Karath chosen us himself".

He look at the drow and add, " I'll need more information about your gods, the enemies and the geograph of this world".

Zalphon
2014-11-18, 08:57 PM
Dungeonmaster

"My agent in Ambrose, a small town to the east--likely ten? Maybe fifteen blinks from here? She is Slyth--wears a bright, scarlet pendant of Abrythan. It is a circle with four points extending outward. She will explain everything," he said quickly. "The password is this." He handed a note over.

He then pointed to a table with a map and several figurines. "The Tower--touch it and you'll be in the Courtyard. Make haste--she'll be your handler for now. And she'll have all your answers--for now--I need to think. Alright?"

copycatcat
2014-11-18, 10:16 PM
The enlarged nymph sighs and goes through the orb. So many delicious impossibilities.. no bland way to predict..

Swami Monsoon
2014-11-18, 10:52 PM
Anwar watches the others enter the portal. Are they crazy, just jumping into the unknown? He hesitates for a long moment... He's not crazy enough to do something like that. Or not brave enough? But hasn't that always been his problem?

"Oh, goddamnit so much..."

He reaches for the globe and follows the others.

Logain Ablar
2014-11-18, 11:47 PM
I do not know how far a blink is. Can you tell us about how long it would take you to travel there on foot?

Zalphon
2014-11-19, 01:57 PM
Dungeonmaster

The Colonel sighed as he saw two newcomers materialize before him. His annoyed stare turning to Adriana, "Anymore friends?"

He then recomposed himself, "A blink is comparable to what you'd call a Tile. That's the term right? Tile?"

copycatcat
2014-11-19, 04:17 PM
"What are you talking about?"

OOC: I'm using these slightly very different pinkshades to reflect alignment at the moment, since that changes her a lot.

Chimaera
2014-11-19, 04:22 PM
"If you could please explain us better... The are several diferences between Maris and Sigil..."

NotScaryBats
2014-11-19, 11:59 PM
"I believe 'mile' is the term that you are looking for," Kix offers gently.

Logain Ablar
2014-11-20, 02:58 AM
I believe this is all of us.

She turns to the group Shall we reconvene in the courtyard?

She asks as she gestures at the tower figure that was pointed out.

Zalphon
2014-11-20, 09:15 AM
Dungeonmaster

"My agent in Ambrose will answer all of your questions and make the proper arrangements. Know that your arrival has just made things very complicated," he said gravely. "If you can bring back the legions of Sigil or whatever great heroes live within--we'll have something I thought we'd never have again. Hope."

He looked at them, doing his best to remain stoic. However, it's quite apparent by the look of optimistic triumph in his eyes that he doesn't see a group of misfits in front of him. The Colonel saw the ones who will light the future standing before him. These people--these heroes--were the key to the future they had been struggling so hard to write. The key to salvation. The key to the sacrifices being worth it.

NotScaryBats
2014-11-20, 11:15 AM
In a rare gesture, Kix inclines her head in a nod as she says, "I hope we can live up to your expectations." She approaches the figurine on the table and touches it, expecting to be teleported somewhere.

Chimaera
2014-11-20, 12:29 PM
"Let's go then", Xanthax says and put his paw in the figurine as well.

Zalphon
2014-11-20, 01:06 PM
Dungeonmaster

When you place your hand on the tower figurine (this applies to all subsequent touchers as well), you find yourself in a gargantuan courtyard. There is no sky above you--just a cavernous ceiling far above. As you look around--you can see stone walls that reach up tot he caverns.

At the South End is a gargantuan archway. The Arch has two huge, seemingly iron doors that open. Standing on each side is a humanoid standing about five feet and about nine inches clad from head-to-toe in black full-plate.

The rest of the Courtyard is full of people. In one area, you see numerous training dummies and recruits being told to practice. As you watch, you notice one of the recruits (none of which are wearing anything more than mundane clothing) miss the dummy and go fumbling down to the ground. The creature which you can only presume is another Drow--Slyth--yes, that's the term--writes down something on a clipboard shaking his head.

Another area has a battalion of soldiers in suits of black chain-mail with their weapons held over their heart listening to a woman in black, spiked full-plate. Long, dark hair falls from past her pauldrons and her dark eyes are full of passion. A raven clings to her shoulder, much like a parrot to a pirate. She is clearly giving a speech and you do notice (with a DC 20 Spot Check) that the Colonel is making his way there to listen.

In another area, you see a small tent. A lone small tent of shoddy fabric that's grown full of holes throughout its life. Inside is a woman in robes, clearly inattentive to what's going on around her. Something is on her mind and its quite apparent that it takes precedence to whatever matters is going on around here.

Clearly this is an area of some importance...

NotScaryBats
2014-11-20, 01:37 PM
Kix looks at the strange courtyard and takes note of the black armor that the Slyth are all wearing, coupled with the subterranean setting. She quietly intones, "It would seem these Slyth are not so different from Drow as Broodikus had said. I wonder if there are analogues of other familiar races and subraces upon this plane." It is clear that Kix is concerned by the possible existence of some Khen-zai analogue, but she doesn't elaborate. For now, she simply waits for the rest of the party, un-moving.

Chimaera
2014-11-20, 01:49 PM
"Lets find the girl we have to speak to and find out exactly whats going on", Xanthax tell the others, " I guess it must that girl in spiked armor".

The lion fly closer and cirvle around the battalion, listening to her speech.

Logain Ablar
2014-11-20, 01:57 PM
Adrinan follow the others to the courtyard.

She watches the recruit fall, and mutters to herself in Undercommon (which she's reasonably sure few people here would speak) How embarrassing.

She walks over to him give him some pointers. She corrects his stance, his grip on the weapon, and tells him to move a little closer and not try to reach out so far to strike his target. Make sure he's close enough to land the blow before striking

Don't Roll a 1 check 1d20+18=30

She then notices the Colonel moving that way, and follows at a distance. She moves to get close enough to hear the speech, but tries to not be within the group of soldiers.

1d20+18=26 to see how close I have to get

Zalphon
2014-11-20, 03:36 PM
The woman's voice thunders even louder as you get closer. Those of you who passed the Spot Check notice the Colonel draws the greatsword and holds it at a forty-five degree angle over his heart once he gets at the head of the battalion.

"...Is what you've been fighting for," she says, her voice traveling--strangely far now that you've gotten closer. "You've given your blood, you've given your families, you've given your very souls to our cause. You've all sacrificed more than I could ever ask of anyone and you've not done it for me. Not for yourselves even, or even your families."

"We all came here for a reason. We all united under my banner--for a reason," she continues. "I first stepped up all those years ago, because I watched the devastation. I watched my father meet his bloody end to those rotting horrors. I watched my older sister give her life saving me. And I was--powerless to stop it." There's a twinge of pain at that word. As if it got caught in her throat and she had to force it out.

"And I do not know why you all stepped up. Perhaps it was for your families or your people or even because you know that this world is damned if we should not take a stand," she continued, conviction growing. "We are this world's only hope. The White Harbinger showed us that my homeland, your homeland, OUR Homeland will never be safe while they hold command over this world. And I will be Myris the Twice-Fallen before I allow the Usurpers to bring ruin upon all that we have sacrificed for. All that not only we have sacrificed for, but our families and our ancestors as well."

"We are not the last generation, my brothers and sisters," her voice now seeming to have the force of a tsunami behind it. "We are Marisians! It is in our very nature to fight until the bitter end and continue on even after! This is our home! This is our time! And we will not [/i]fail.[/i]" That final word had so much power to it. As though lightning surged through the audience when it was said with that tone, the weapons moved in unison to their sides.

"Now hear me," she commanded. "Hear this and hear it not with body or mind, but your very souls. Look around and see what you've fought for. Look around and see what you've bled for. Because I see it. I see men and women, some of which were just simple farmers and merchants even a year prior. And now I see it."

"I see what you've become. I see the transformation that we've made and now it is time. Time to test what we've become," she states, her voice proud and booming as ever. "The First Battalion of the Dragon's Head Legion will spearhead the assault west as our expeditionary force. Take pride in this--you are to be the first to bear our banner into Arovus and it is there that we will show them the truth by striking dread into their hearts. Let tonight be one of peace, my friends, for soon--the Killing Fields await. Dimitte Letum Veni Leniter, my friends."

It was with those words that those who could, sheathed their blades and rendered a salute. Those with larger weapons such as halberds and spears held them horizontally to show the equivalent of a salute. The Black Clad Woman returned it and stated loud enough for them all to hear, "Dimitte Letum Veni Leniter."

They all responded in unison with that same phrase and slowly dispersed. Colonel Broodikus looked at the woman and approached her. They began walking, talking in a hushed tone. Clearly a private conversation.

Swami Monsoon
2014-11-20, 03:51 PM
Anwar silently takes in the scene... Just what have they gotten themselves into? A war involving actual gods? And what kind of tall tales was Karath telling about Sigil? It's nothing like a unified state, much less an empire. It doesn't have a real army. The Lady of Pain has no reason to care about any of this. And the various factions in town are about as capable of collective action as two crackheads looking at one crack rock... Half of them, if they decided to join the war, would probably fight for the other side. The bad guys. Or is that the good guys? They really have no way of knowing at this point who is who.

He could tell them that the glorious Imperial Legions of the Sigilian Autarchy aren't coming to save the day. But he doesn't want to be the one to dispel the illusions of a bunch of heavily armed strangers...

NotScaryBats
2014-11-20, 04:13 PM
"I believe we have miles to travel before we reach the woman we are supposed to discuss our role with," Kix intones through the telepathic link. "While that speech was rousing, I find it does little to elucidate just what these people are fighting for."

Kix approaches the archway and iron gates with an unrushed pace.

kinem
2014-11-20, 07:36 PM
ooc: spot [roll0]

Ymelon takes in what he can of the scene.

Green recruits? Is this the best army they have?

I wonder what the others think. Too bad I'm out of the telepathic link.

"Yes, let's go. We have much to do" he tells the others.

copycatcat
2014-11-20, 07:41 PM
The overly large nymph follows the portal second or third, and then follows the rest. How interesting.. how fun.. what opportunities.. so delicious..

Logain Ablar
2014-11-20, 10:51 PM
After the speech, Adriana walks over to the woman in the tent. Excuse me, I apologize for but we are new to this place and Colonel Broodikus has asked us to travel to meet his agent in Ambrose Village. We do not know the way, and I was wondering if you could give us directions.

Zalphon
2014-11-20, 11:04 PM
Dungeonmaster

The woman is wearing robes of a simple gray color. There are small holes here and there--about the size of a pinhead and fraying at the ends. She looks up and pulls the hood back to reveal a mop of black hair matted together in clumps with dried blood and dirt. Her skeletal face is shocking to behold, especially the violet eyes which seem to stare right through someone.

"It is through the Archway. Then you must travel to the right through the Nightmare District and then to the left into the Foreign District," she speaks slowly, as if thinking deeply. Her voice echoes as though it is coming from the depths of a deep cavern and it has an otherworldly tone--as if it is not natural. Certainly not befitting the frail woman you see sitting before you.

"It is in the Foreign District that you'll need to wait for the next Aperi Lo Ostium. Either the next Aperi Lo Ostium or you'll need to find someone willing to show you the Thieves' Way and perhaps you'll be lucky and find one of the Guild Gates in the Thieves' Way." Her thin, snow-white lips curl into a subtle smirk. As if the thought is laughable at best.

Logain Ablar
2014-11-20, 11:39 PM
Thank you...? Adriana backs away,completely unsure of what to make of this strange woman, and not at all sure of the woman's sanity or the directions she was just given.

To telepathic bond Any of you wanna try to get infomation out of this... woman?

She then goes over to the colonel and the woman who gave the speech. She stands near them until they acknowledge her. She then repeats the strange directions she was just given. Can you make any sense of that? Where exactly is it you're sending us?

Zalphon
2014-11-21, 01:26 AM
Dungeonmaster

The Colonel gives a harsh glare, "Don't you believe you could be figuring it out on your own rather than troubling myself and our commander?"

"Calm yourself, Asharon," she said. "Head through the Arch and take a right. The Nightmare District is our equivalent to a Temple District here in Sarthol. You'll go through there and upon reaching the center, go left. Tell the Captain of the Gate Watch this phrase: The Raven flies swift and so do I. He will open the Gates and you'll be free to leave." The thunder in her voice had subsided, but it still commanded respect. It was still ripe with dignity tinted with a faint hint of feminine grace, perhaps it was just imagined though.

The Colonel shook his head, "Milady, you are too kind to them."

"No, Asharon," she said coolly, shaking her head. "You forget that once you were as lost as they, but not in Sarthol. You were lost amidst the grand sea which we call life."

He nodded and looked to the Outworlders. "Remember, Ambrose is about ten to fifteen blinks east of here. My agent is the one wearing the scarlet pendant of Abrythan. Alright?"