PDA

View Full Version : Diplomacy by Avalon Hill

Grey Bishop
2007-04-09, 09:10 PM
For those interested, who have never played the boardgame Diplomacy, it starts in Europe in the Spring of 1901. In the classic game, there are 7 great powers; England, France, Germany, Italy, Austria-Hungary, Turkey, and Russia. The goal is through diplomacy and guile, to bring more than half of Europe under your control.

The great part about Diplomacy is that there is no dice rolling to resolve combat. All combat is resolved based on strength of orders, with equal forces causing each other to 'bounce'. In addition, all players submit moves secretly, then all moves are adjudicated simultaneously, so the tactical elements of the game depend on successful diplomacy with your other players.

Diplomacy is a fantastic game with several currently ongoing play-by-post games here in the GitP forums. If you're not playing in one, they are also interesting to observe as many players post entertaining news posts. Occasionally, a player drops out for various reasons and the game may even need a replacement player, so observing can also present you a chance to join in at a later date.

I thought that this would be a good place to discuss the game and to bring its players together. I'd be willing to track games and players. I'd also be willing to track the proven reliability of players. By reliability I mean whether a player has abandoned a game without warning or frequently fails to turn in orders.

So, if you're a Diplomacy player or GM, sound off! If you're not a player but would like to be considered for any upcoming games, well sound off, too.

Grey Bishop
2007-04-09, 09:11 PM
Closed (Ongoing) Games

All the King's Men (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2394274); GM EricDerKonig; Classic Diplomacy

Bismarck's Gambit (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2298853#post2298853); GM viggo; Youngstown Fantasy Draft Variant Diplomacy

Concert of Europe (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2058331&posted=1#post2058331); GM Moody the Wise; Youngstown Variant Diplomacy

Chaos of War (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1966245#post1966245); GM Grey Bishop; Youngstown Variant Diplomacy

A Great War (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1813866#post1813866); GM Grey Bishop; Standard Diplomacy

Intrigue (Formerly Lady Luck) (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31517&highlight=Diplomacy+1901); GM Makleveh; Standard Diplomacy; possibly on hiatus

Completed Games

Snakes and Snails (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15718&highlight=Diplomacy+Avalon+Hill); GM Shular; Standard Diplomacy; Victor: mdsoze (Germany)

Backstab (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15661); GM mdsoze; Standard Diplomacy; Victor: Damian_Blackclaw (England)

Grey Bishop
2007-04-09, 09:12 PM
Recruitment

No new games that I have been made aware of at this time.

Replacements Needed

None at this time.

Moody the Wise
2007-04-09, 09:42 PM
Greetings. There are those who call me ... Tim. But you probably shouldn't, because I don't respond to it. You can call me Moody, Moody the Wise, Master, Sir, or Stabby McBackstabpants - just don't call me late to dinner. I'm currently a player in A Great War, Chaos of War, and Bismarck's Gambit, and I GM The Concert of Europe.

I would consider myself a Diplomacy veteran; although those are my first games on this forum, I've played plenty face-to-face. I'm also considerably more honest than certain people would have you believe. =)

If you want to contact me for any reason:
AIM: Londonwerewolf6
Email: [email protected]
PM: Well, this goes without saying.

Vexen
2007-04-10, 09:57 AM
I am also a fan of diplomacy. THough a novice to the game. I am playing in A Great War as France, and Chaos of War, (youngstown variant) as Turkey.

I am a novice to the game but enjoy it thouroughly. I have never played face to face and these are my 2nd and 3rd games respectively. I prefer the medium of PBEM, it seems to be greatly suited to the intrigue and diplomacy of the game (though maybe it is just because i have never played face to face.)

I prefer the original as opposed to the Youngstown variant. Again this may be because I am getting royally creamed in that game but hey.

mdsoze
2007-04-10, 10:03 AM
Hi, I'm mdsoze, and I love Diplomacy. You missed Diplomacy: Game Backstab, won by Damian, and GM'd by me in your list of completed games.

Vexen
2007-04-10, 10:10 AM
You know soze you sound like an AA member there in your intro.:smallbiggrin:

Yeah Backstab was a great game though it got a little weird and emotional at the end.:smallconfused: I really enjoyed following it.

EricDerKonig
2007-04-10, 05:52 PM
I've played Diplomacy several times (all online), and even won once! ...in a no-press game. I've only played Standard so far (and one game on Standard map, using the Fleet-Rome variant). Youngstown does intrigue me, though most games I've observed indicate that stalemate lines are a bigger problem in that variant. I'm not especially good at the actual diplomacy, which may explain why I do better in no-press games. I tend to be embattled but surviving by midgame...

Since there appears to be interest in a new game, I'll be willing to GM one. I've GMed two forum games before using DP Judge; I can use the Realpolitik tool and the rulebook to adjudicate here, if the players just want to use the forum.

Shular
2007-04-10, 06:05 PM
Hi, I've been playing a lot of Diplomacy lately (mostly here (http://www.floc.net/dpjudge/)), but as noted I ran Snakes and Snails. I even did a little power-point at the end of it.

mdsoze's game was Backstab (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15661) and it was quite entertaining. I recommend newer players to the game read through it to get a feel for some of the intricacies. I especially recommend reading the end of game (EOG) statements submitted.

Grey Bishop
2007-04-10, 07:48 PM
Hi, I'm mdsoze, and I love Diplomacy. You missed Diplomacy: Game Backstab, won by Damian, and GM'd by me in your list of completed games.

Added Backstab. Backstab and Snakes and Snails are the games that inspired me to start the two I did. Good games, fun to follow.

Since there appears to be interest in a new game, I'll be willing to GM one. I've GMed two forum games before using DP Judge; I can use the Realpolitik tool and the rulebook to adjudicate here, if the players just want to use the forum.

Updated the third post with a recruitment list and replacements needed list. I have added your interest in forming a game to that list, Eric. Let me know if/when you have anything for me to update (game name, recruitment thread/official game thread, etc) and I will amend the post to include that information for you. On behalf of Diplomacy players everywhere, I salute you. GM's make the Diplomacy world go round... online at least.

J_Muller
2007-04-11, 01:34 AM
Yeah, I'm here. The games I'm playing in on this forum, CoW, CoE, and BG, are my first ever Diplomacy games... and it shows, because I'm getting beaten up in CoE and BG, and it doesn't look good in CoW.

Also, don't trust anything Moody says, he'll betray you in an instant.:smallamused:

Additionally, don't trust anything anyone says if lying to you would improve their situation.

Arlanthe
2007-04-11, 01:59 AM
I'd love to get in on a game if any are open.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-04-11, 02:01 AM
I should get back into this...*strokes Bismarck 'stache*

I'd need to find the time so I didn't get so many NMRs, though. And stay focused on winning this time.

Moody the Wise
2007-04-11, 08:59 AM
Also, don't trust anything Moody says, he'll betray you in an instant.:smallamused:

Alright, that's really just not fair. So I stabbed you in CoW, big deal. You probably should have seen it coming anyway. You totally lied to me in BG the very same night that I stabbed you in CoW, so as far as I'm concerned we're even. Just because I lied to you doesn't mean there aren't plenty of people with whom I am honest.

Shular
2007-04-11, 10:33 AM
And THAT'S Diplomacy in a nutshell.

Moody the Wise
2007-04-11, 11:03 AM
And THAT'S Diplomacy in a nutshell.

Thank you ... I think. =)

Moody the Wise
2007-04-11, 06:53 PM
I, as GM of the game Concert of Europe, have just received a request from one of my players for an 'honorable discharge' of his duties as leader of France due to an increasingly busy life. As you'll see from looking at the thread, it is not the best of positions, but it is also not completely helpless. With a new player always comes reconsideration of strategy and a diplomatic solution can most certainly be arrived at by a skilled player willing to take on a fixer-upper. Any takers? PM me if you're interested.

EricDerKonig
2007-04-11, 11:40 PM
Updated the third post with a recruitment list and replacements needed list. I have added your interest in forming a game to that list, Eric. Let me know if/when you have anything for me to update (game name, recruitment thread/official game thread, etc) and I will amend the post to include that information for you. On behalf of Diplomacy players everywhere, I salute you. GM's make the Diplomacy world go round... online at least.

Thanks. :smallsmile:
I'll hopefully have the recruitment thread set up by this weekend.
The game will be Standard (unless there's a large demand for another map. I can do Youngstown, Modern, Colonial, and AncientMed. Standard rules only, since I don't understand things like Payola ;)).

J_Muller
2007-04-12, 01:00 AM
Alright, that's really just not fair. So I stabbed you in CoW, big deal. You probably should have seen it coming anyway. You totally lied to me in BG the very same night that I stabbed you in CoW, so as far as I'm concerned we're even. Just because I lied to you doesn't mean there aren't plenty of people with whom I am honest.

Just not me, right? Ever?:smalltongue:

Though to be fair, I've never negotiated with anyone who was completely honest. And I'm not exactly a model of honesty and integrity myself.:smallamused:

Though in CoE I really meant it when I talked about peace with Japan. Oh well, his loss.

Russia, though, I would have attacked anyway.

Vexen
2007-04-12, 08:56 AM
Hey Grey Bishop.
for your replacement thread. I think you mean Italy in A great War don't you. Or did Kuhsolini drop out of his winning position in CoW? If so can I swap countries? I'd play both but i don't think that would be quite fair. j/k

Moody the Wise
2007-04-12, 09:13 AM
Hey Grey Bishop.
for your replacement thread. I think you mean Italy in A great War don't you. Or did Kuhsolini drop out of his winning position in CoW? If so can I swap countries? I'd play both but i don't think that would be quite fair. j/k

No, he means Italy in CoW. KuH has decided that his life is getting too busy to continue with the games, and has requested 'honorable discharges' as you can see from my post.

Vexen
2007-04-12, 09:20 AM
No, he means Italy in CoW. KuH has decided that his life is getting too busy to continue with the games, and has requested 'honorable discharges' as you can see from my post.
I thought your Post was in referench to French Retirement in CoE. So Kuhsolini is retiring. I guess I should be sad about that not happy.

By the way, EricDerKonig, if you start a new game, I would be interested in playing if it was traditional diplomacy. Youngstown I found a little overwhelming.

Moody the Wise
2007-04-12, 09:54 AM
I thought your Post was in referench to French Retirement in CoE. So Kuhsolini is retiring. I guess I should be sad about that not happy.

By the way, EricDerKonig, if you start a new game, I would be interested in playing if it was traditional diplomacy. Youngstown I found a little overwhelming.

Well, KuH is playing France in CoE.

karmuno
2007-04-12, 10:37 AM
I'd be interested in joining any games that open up. I haven't played much (it's mind boggling how difficult it is to get six other people to play diplomacy face to face) but I'm very familiar with the rules and whatnot. I could technically GM, but I'd prefer simply being a player. I also prefer the standard game, although there are some good ideas in this article (http://www.variantbank.org/articles/changing.htm) which I haven't tried to implement yet.

Charity
2007-04-12, 10:53 AM
Just because I lied to you doesn't mean there aren't plenty of people with whom I am honest.
*cough*
*choke*

Aw man you just made me choke on my lunch.:smalltongue:

Moody the Wise
2007-04-12, 11:14 AM
*cough*
*choke*

Aw man you just made me choke on my lunch.:smalltongue:

Alright, now that's just not nice. =)

I was perfectly honest with you up until I stabbed you. And to be fair, I had perfectly legitimate reasons for doing so. And one of them, the Italian NMR, wasn't really your fault. For what it's worth, I did feel kind of bad about it.

Charity
2007-04-12, 02:52 PM
Meh, Moody ~brown smelly stuff~ happens.
Hmmm, though that perfect honesty did only last a year however...
Seriously though,
Don't sweat it, tis only a game me old mukker.

Ted_Stryker
2007-04-12, 07:17 PM
I wondered who won that game. I lost track of it after the server migration. I'm quite impressed that Italy wound up with the silver medal in that game, it's a very tough nation to play.

Moody the Wise
2007-04-12, 08:08 PM
Meh, Moody ~brown smelly stuff~ happens.
Hmmm, though that perfect honesty did only last a year however...
Seriously though,
Don't sweat it, tis only a game me old mukker.

Well, it only had a chance to last a year before circumstances beyond our control forced me to adapt my strategy. And don't worry, I'm not sweating it.

EricDerKonig
2007-04-14, 03:50 AM
My recruitment thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2394274) is up! Hopefully I didn't leave out anything.
The game name will be "For King and Country".

Abelard
2007-04-14, 08:09 AM
I wondered who won that game. I lost track of it after the server migration. I'm quite impressed that Italy wound up with the silver medal in that game, it's a very tough nation to play.

Hi, Ted! Italy did pretty well there, and all I had to do was sell my soul for it. Pretty cheap, I figure... :smalltongue:

Anyway, Abelard here. As noted, second place in Backstab and a player of some experience. By the way, I second (or third or whatever) the notion that reading that game's thread is a great overview of the game. As anyone can attest to, I am perfectly honest to those who can further my ambitions for as long as they continue to do so. And if anyone tells you otherwise... well, they are clearly lying weasels who should be allied against immediately and wiped from the board. Clearly. :smallbiggrin:

I generally have better availability post-4/15 (I work in a US tax-related field), so I might be trolling for a game in a few weeks - maybe a variant, as I've only played standard Dip lately.

Keep your knives sharp, and thanks to Grey Bishop for starting this thread.

Vexen
2007-05-03, 01:49 PM
Okay - Hopefully someone is still paying attention to this thread. Especially shular because my question regards something he said.
Any way first off it is now May does this mean that Damian is going to start a new game here in the forum? Or is anyone else planning to start one.

and then more on topic with this thread. (as it is about the game diplomacy and not the finding players thread.) What is DP judge? It was in Shular's post and appears to be a location to initiate/play on-line Diplomacy games. However, it is not as self explanatory as it seems to think it is. So here are my questions to anyone who uses it.
How much does it cost? (besides time or internet expenses)
If I register does it make it more clear how to contact other players/ join games etc.?
Is it a better, equivalent, or worse experience than playing via a forum such as this?

Alex Knight
2007-05-03, 11:12 PM
I've been playing Diplomacy for many, many, MANY moons. Would be fun to play it again. :belkar:

EricDerKonig
2007-05-08, 04:57 PM
The game All the Kings' Men (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41315&page=2) needs a substitute for France. It's still early in the game, so the situation isn't unsalvagable.
Please PM me if you're interested.

Moody the Wise
2007-05-08, 08:04 PM
The game All the Kings' Men (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41315&page=2) needs a substitute for France. It's still early in the game, so the situation isn't unsalvagable.
Please PM me if you're interested.

That missing the first two builds does look nasty, though. I'm pretty much always available as a replacement if a game NEEDS me, but right now I'm playing in three (one sort of died, but hasn't been pronounced dead yet, so really two) so I'll always yield to new players or just those who aren't currently in games. In fact, I'd encourage it, to build up the community. But as a last resort, I'm here.

EricDerKonig
2007-05-08, 10:37 PM
It's been filled, but thanks for offering.
Hopefully I won't need to replace anyone else, but if I do, I'll post here again.

Moody the Wise
2007-05-10, 02:39 PM
Anybody looking to take over a world power? The Concert of Europe (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35473&page=8) is currently looking for subs. PM me ASAP for details.

Void
2007-05-13, 03:26 AM
Hello,

I just wanted to let everyone know that I wanted to try to run a game. Here is the recruiting thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44109)

I did steal a bit from previous games recruiting threads.

Thanks and Regards,

Void

Added in Edit: This game is now full. Thank you for your support.

Moody the Wise
2007-05-23, 10:04 PM
Wanted!

Concert of Europe (www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php=3ft=3d35473&page=3d9) GM seeks dedicated and enthusiastic player to assume control of a powerful Japan in Winter 1906. First come, first served. PM me and you've got the job!

Charity
2007-05-24, 07:50 AM
Your link doesn't work Moody

J_Muller
2007-05-27, 08:39 PM
Hello,

I just wanted to let everyone know that I wanted to try to run a game. Here is the recruiting thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44109)

I did steal a bit from previous games recruiting threads.

Thanks and Regards,

Void

Added in Edit: This game is now full. Thank you for your support.

I think we may need a new person now, though.

Void
2007-05-28, 03:30 PM
Quest for Dominance (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44109)

Yes I am currently looking for one replacement. The game has not started yet, however I had one withdraw mid-draft. Englands color is needs replacing there is one draft selection left for the person that takes over the territories, which currently includes Tha, Cam and Sai. Once I get a replacement and draft pick we are pretty much ready to roll.

Regards,

Void

Moody the Wise
2007-05-28, 09:34 PM
Your link doesn't work Moody

Good call. I have to use a circumventor when I'm on my father's computer (which is almost all the time now that I'm home for the summer) and so I'm not surprised that the link was screwy, even though I took out the referrer part of the link. Anyway, there's actually a link to the thread in my signature, so just click there - The Concert of Europe.

That spot is still open, by the way.

Jontom Xire
2007-06-06, 01:45 AM
Hi, all.

I'm looking to join a game. I've never played before. Can anyone point me at a good link for the rules, please?

Thanks.

Void
2007-06-06, 02:19 AM
Diplomacy Rules (http://www.wizards.com/avalonhill/rules/diplomacy.pdf)

My game recently filled though, but that does not mean it is the only game available. I know there is a couple games looking for players. Sometimes those are the tough games because you ussually start off in a bad spot, but those are good places to get to know the people that stick out the tough games.

Regards,

Void

Shular
2007-06-09, 06:59 AM
Okay - Hopefully someone is still paying attention to this thread. Especially shular because my question regards something he said.
Any way first off it is now May does this mean that Damian is going to start a new game here in the forum? Or is anyone else planning to start one.

and then more on topic with this thread. (as it is about the game diplomacy and not the finding players thread.) What is DP judge? It was in Shular's post and appears to be a location to initiate/play on-line Diplomacy games. However, it is not as self explanatory as it seems to think it is. So here are my questions to anyone who uses it.
How much does it cost? (besides time or internet expenses)
If I register does it make it more clear how to contact other players/ join games etc.?
Is it a better, equivalent, or worse experience than playing via a forum such as this?

Hey Vex,

Sorry for not responding. As you may suspect, I haven't been to the thread in a LONG time. I kind of got burned out on Diplomacy, and decided to just continue the games I've been playing. I'll answer your questions here, b ut I'll also PM them to you, in case you haven't been back.

1. DPJudge (http://www.floc.net/dpjudge/) is free.
2. Once you've signed up, you can check the game listings (http://www.diplom.org/openings/openings.html#USDP) (under USDP) and register for a game by sending an email to the judge ([email protected]) with a simple command using the following syntax:

join <gamename> <password>
signoff

so to join dipgame2 and use OU812 (cookie for anyone who recognizes that) as your password, you would email (with no subject)

join dipgame2 OU812
signoff

Sometimes (if the GM sets it up as so), you'll be given the option of choosing the power you wish to play. Then you can enter:

join <powerchoice>@<gamename> <password>
signoff

Once you've sent the email you'll receive a confirmation, and then you're good to go.

There is a Diplomacy forum/group on yahoo, I do believe, though I haven't really done anything there. One of the key differences between the judge and a forum like this, however, is that on the judge players are anonymous (messages are only identified as from the power, thus you'd receive a message from Germany, not Dave). Technically you could identify yourself to other players in private messages, but that would be against the honour rule. It makes it more interesting because you never know if your close ally from the previous game is now that guy you just HATE in this game, etc.

I'd say that it's similar level of play as in the forums. There tends to be a fair amount of drop-off, especially in the casual games, but I've come to the conclusion that that's just par for the course in any online diplomacy games, even on the forums. The one superior aspect, though, is that the game is adjudicated by a server, not a person (though there IS a GM to deal with any issues that the server can't handle). This means that you know exactly when the turns will be adjudicated, and don't have to wait in case the GM is late. There's even an option for "Smart_CD" (civil disobedience) where the server will use standard hold and support orders when someone fails to submit orders on time.

If you're interested, go ahead and sign up (http://www.floc.net/dpjudge/?variant=dppd). Once you've done so, the judge will be able to identify you by your email address when you sign up for games. I THINK you'll receive a confirmation email, after which go to the "current openings" page, and sign up for a game (I recommend sticking with standard games until you're comfortable witht the interface). Feel free to send me any questions you have while going through the process. You can use the PM on the forums.

Good luck, and have fun. :smallsmile:

Vexen
2007-06-14, 02:15 PM
Thanks for the info Shular. Though I am a little disappointed that the drop out rate is just as high but i guess that makes sense.

I am afraid that Diplomacy is probably one of the greatest games, but that it suffers a major flaw. Time.

I have yet to be able to hold a successful face to face game. Finding 7 people, let alone more for the variants, who can play is nearly impossible. The number one problem is time. I do not see how, logistically, a face - face game could last less than 4 hours. Who but a nerdy teen or young single adult has that kind of time to spare on a regular basis. I guess senior citizens might. In addition face to face games seem to require a lot of space, and coordination to allow negotiations to take place properly.

For the full depth of "diplomatic" relations, I think that on line games are the best, because you have more time to negotiate and also it is harder for people to know who is talking to who. (though spying leads to a different aspect in the face to face games.)

But internet games seem to fall prey to the same downfall; time. I mean that they can take forever if the moves are spaced to a season a week, months at the least. Even the most commited players and GM's can not completely forecast what will happen in 4 or 6 months. It would seem then that making turns faster would be better . . . but this too seems to have the fault of NMR. Who has the time to communicate so quickly on a daily basis. And if you do NMR it is so easy to fall way behind way too fast. In fast moving games if something comes up and you can't submit orders it seems that you may as well drop out.

Anyway I just thought i would vent my lamentations. I am certain many of you have noticed the same in trying to play this game. Don't get me wrong I still think that the game is amazing and will keep trying to play as often as possible. Perhaps soon i will look into finding people to do an actual real time game. playing like a face to face game only doing it online.

Abelard
2007-06-19, 02:09 PM
But internet games seem to fall prey to the same downfall; time. I mean that they can take forever if the moves are spaced to a season a week, months at the least. Even the most commited players and GM's can not completely forecast what will happen in 4 or 6 months.

Heh. [showing my age] You should try playing Dip via the play-by-mail hobby 'zines. Four to six weeks between seasons, and if someone drops out (which seems to be less frequently than in on-line games, thankfully), you've got a longer delay. And we had to send the letters uphill, both ways![/sma] :smallsigh:

Shular
2007-06-19, 07:23 PM
I should mention, though, that while the drop-out rate is about the same overall on DPJudge, if you can get into the tourney's, the later rounds seem to be much better, being made up of those who tended not to drop out in the first rounds.

The "owls" series of games is more of an ongoign "league" tracking your successes (and not-so-successes) which is kind of cool. It seems to be mostly the pick-up games and the first round of tournaments that suffer from dropouts. On the other hand, you can get extra points for taking over an abandoned power, even if that power is in a very poor position.

Mr._Wilson
2007-06-23, 01:10 AM
I haven't played Dip in ages it seems. It probably is my favorite "board" game, but getting 7 people together for 8 hours, and having something for the losers to do at the same time is rather troublesome. I played on-line once, but half the people no showed in Spring 1903 and the game just petered out.

J_Muller
2007-06-23, 01:59 AM
There are some pretty dedicated Dip players around here, so most games here last longer than than Spring 1903.

Some people have been having IRL things that prevent them from effectively playing, though, so now's not exactly the high point of Giantitp Dip-playing.

EricDerKonig
2007-07-07, 09:40 AM
Germany player needed for All the Kings men (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41315). Please PM me or post in the thread if you're interested in taking over.

Elektro
2007-07-10, 12:12 AM
This game sounds like a lot of fun. I have general wargame experience, but having played Diplomacy before.

Please consider me as interested to fill drop outs or if a new game starts. Thanks!

Moody the Wise
2007-09-03, 05:11 PM
Hey

Sorry about flaking out over the summer, but it just wasn't working out trying to use the old piece of you-know-what that my family calls a computer; I think those games were destined to die anyway. Now that I'm back at school, I'd be interested in starting back up again. I'll host a game as long as someone else will also host a game that I can play in. So, anyone else up for hosting a game?

J_Muller
2007-09-03, 06:36 PM
I'm up for getting some games started as well. Anyone else?

Moody the Wise
2007-09-03, 07:42 PM
Hey! New Diplomacy game starting up! I'd love crazy Diplomacy veterans (and even crazier newbies, if they're up for it) to try an information-limited rules-variant game, although if I can't drum up the interest for that I'll run something more normal (in which case newbies are more than welcome, provided they are committed to the game). Check it out? (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55739)

Elektro
2007-10-12, 05:14 PM
Fellow Dipper and those who want to start,

I am starting two new Diplomacy games here on the forums:

Balance of Power (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59633)

This is a standard (7-player) Diplomacy game. I am going to put emphasis on recruiting new players, since we need to strengthen our Dip community with some new blood. I'll give it a week and then it'll be open to anyone.

The Art of War - Diplomacy All-stars (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59635)

As evidenced by the title, this game is for the Diplo veterans here. I will select players based on their longevity and skill. I am up for either standard or Youngstown, depending on the wishes of the players and the number of solid players we have.

Check them out!

Moody the Wise
2007-10-15, 12:01 PM
Newsflash!

I'm looking for two replacement players for my Diplomacy game All Quiet on the PM Front (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3351673#post3351673). The openings are for France and India. We are playing a blind variant wherein - to offer a simple description - you never see a universal map posted to the thread, but rather you are sent a report after each season indicating the success or failure of your moves as well as the locations of some foreign units based on lines of sight and spying. I obviously can't say publicly how either of those powers are doing, but it's Fall 1902 and they're both still alive. If you commit to the job, I'll fill you in. I know that's asking you to take the job "blind" but hey, I guess that fits the spirit of the game.

Good candidates should:

Not care what position their inherited power will be in, but rather love the game and enjoy playing even the "fixer-uppers" (not that either of those powers is or is not a fixer-upper, just that you don't know until you've taken the offer)
Have a working knowledge of the rules of Diplomacy or have a serious commitment to learn them; a link to the rulebook can be found in the thread, I think, but I can supply one upon request if it is not
Have a working knowledge of the geographical changes of the Youngstown map, on which the game is being played; or, be prepared to read about them and familiarize yourself with the map
Be comfortable playing in a variant wherein you have limited information

The positions will be filled on a first-come first-served basis. I listed those criteria not because I will turn anyone away, but rather so that the expectations are clear. PM me if you are interested. You may indicate a preference for France or India, but if you are the second person to respond, you're getting whichever power the first person didn't get.

Traveling_Angel
2007-10-22, 11:13 PM
Hello.

*Dodges rotten fruit*

I have a bad history, mostly because I have a yearly schedule that doesn't mesh well with PBP Diplo. But I may GM one soon that would be at light speed, aka 48 hours for a season (not counting builds and retreats). So would that work?

Moody the Wise
2007-10-23, 09:57 AM
I'd be willing to play in your light speed game, even though you dropped out of AGW.

Elektro
2007-10-23, 12:14 PM
I wouldn't mind giving it a shot as well. Let us know if you decide to go through with it.

WrstDmEvr
2007-10-23, 02:51 PM
Ah, a Diplomacy thread. one of the only two games i will waste homework time to play.(seriously)

let me know if anything comes up.

Traveling_Angel
2007-10-23, 07:26 PM
Well, it appears my speedier diplomacy looks good. I am currently a bit on the busy side, so once I die in a few SMBG then I'll start it up and post here.

thewamp
2007-11-08, 10:37 AM
Figuring that we could use a thread where the first post is actually up to date, I created a second thread.

Diplomacy by Avalon Hill II (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62512)