PDA

View Full Version : The Gates of Hell (IC)

Mousedigits
2015-04-08, 07:49 PM
Blood. All denizens of the lower planes love it. They love to see it. They love to smell it. But, most of all, they love to cause it. It is perhaps the one thing that the lawful Devils and the chaotic Demons agree upon.

The world started in the year 0. The gods, being the benevolent being that they are, created the world from a single speck of dust. They first sculpted the flat lands and the great mountains. Seeing that the world was dry, they gave it water. Seeing that it was barren, they gave it green. Finally, seeing that it was without movement, thay breathed upon it the various races of life upon it. Elves, Orcs, Humans, Dwarves, Gnomes, and the like. They then sent down their angels, to keep watch on the beings of the world.

All was peaceful for the first 1000 or so years. The people lived happily among themselves. The angels made sure that everything ran smoothly, while the gods stepped back to admire their work from the heavens. However, in the year 1037, a certain angel by the name of Trantus felt a certain hunger. A hunger for power. He, then, hatched a plan to take power of the entire world. He started recruiting the various races of the world to his cause. He went under the guise of a priest of the gods, and gained an enormous amount of followers. He then, slowly, started warping the teachings of the priests of the gods, eventually making himself out to be just that: a god.

Obviously, the gods knew of his plot, but being the arrogant beings that gods are, thought that his plans would come to nothing.

Years after Trantus' initial corruption, forty to be exact, Trantus has designed a ritual that he believes to be capable of giving him enormous power, comparable to that of a god.

Journal of Trantus, Volume VII, page 327.
17th of Ceran, Year 1077

I am in the High Chapel of Trantus, located on a small island in the Peradic Ocean. The ritual is about to begin. Within a few hours, I will be a god. Or, at least, have the power of such a thing. It is quite simple, actually. All that I have to do is sketch a Pentagram on the floor, sit in the middle, and have my high priest read from the Book of Law, while my second highest reads from the Book of Chaos. Again, quite simple. When I write in this book once again, I will be a god.

Five hours have passed since my last writing in this journal. The ritual went horribly wrong. When the last word was uttered, I got up, and tried to do something godly. Nothing happened. I tried again and again, and nothing happened. I went over to my high priest, and pulled back my arm to hit him for failing. There was a red flash of light from behind me, followed by a roar. I slowly turned around, and saw something hideous. There, on the Pentagram, was a huge creature the likes of I've never seen before. It had horns the size of greatswords, eyes as big as dinner plates. About a second passed, and then the creature went on a rampage. It started killing all it saw. Its great claws sliced though my followers like a hot knife through butter. Luckily, I escaped before it started on me. I am currently hiding in a more secluded part of the Chapel. I can hear the creature walking around, killing anyone it sees. I think I will call this thing a "Demon." Wait, do I hear more than one? I think there is more than one now. I hope I can think of a way out of this damned pla-

It is now 1082. The forces of the world have been at constant war with the Demons and the Devils. The portal that Trantus opened attracted the attention of the lawful Devils as well as the chaotic Demons, who had been (and still are) at war. The gods had no clue that the underworlds were a part of this world that they had created, or in fact even existed, and are quickly trying to find a way to get rid of the otherworldly menace. in the last five years, the underworlders have opened more portals throughout the world, though none is bigger than the one at the former Chapel of Trantus.

Currently, the gods see only one solution: Gather the best warriors of the world and have them close the gates to the underworld.

This is where our Protagonists come in...

http://i1300.photobucket.com/albums/ag83/mousedigits/Hell%20Gates_zpsuv92zyqcFINAL_zpsfm2azszu.png

The lines up in northern Sepium/Lannia/Herum indicate boundaries, as there is no ocean to separate them.
The Red Hexes indicate areas where the underworld has invaded ours.
The black hex is where you start.

You are all gathered in an enormous room, bigger than any you have ever seen before. The walls and floor seem to be made of solid gold, and there is no ceiling to be seen. Instead, you see an open night sky, stars filling the hole by the billions. Dark blue fills the gaps between the shining points of light. In front of you there are row upon row of seats, with a long table stretching before each row. It looks like there is seating for upwards of 40 people. Above the seats, there is a huge balcony. You all look about for a moment when a line of people begin filing in from the side of the seating. They move to the seats, and sit down, one person for each chair. You notice that four people have appeared on the balcony. Once everyone is settled, the four up on the balcony start speaking in unison.

"Each and every one of you has been called here, to Ucleas, the realm of the gods, to recieve a mission. As some of you may have guessed, it has to do with the Hell Gates.
"Over the last four and a half years, we have been observing all of the world's great heroes, in an attempt to find some who would be able to seal the Gates as we, unfortunately, cannot meddle with the world directly. There was a Aasimar Paladin-Monk, there was a Ratfolk Lich, there was a Human Sorcerer, among others. We surveyed many potential heroes, and you all came out on top. You will be the ones to destroy the Hell Gates. We assume you have questions?"

Man on Fire
2015-04-09, 05:58 PM
Xaron, a tall, dark-skinned man in blue robes, stands with his arms crossed and unimpressed look on his face. He calmly looks on the mysterious figures, before speaking.
"What is there to question? You wanted the best, you got the best. And these guys." He nods his head towards what he assumes are supposed to be his "allies". He just hopes they won't be getting in the way, once he takes care of demons. "Just point us towards these Gates. And hire somebody to dispose the bodies."

Rendel Nep
2015-04-09, 07:52 PM
A well groomed green haired man of small folk proportions notable for his gossamer wings and the staff adorned with gems that he holds in his right hand looks surprised then slightly annoyed. After waiting for the eager hot shot to finish, he speaks.
"Yeah, I have a question. I was kind of expecting a more detailed briefing before we got to the questions. While I imagine we're all capable of ploughing our way through the vast hordes of demons or the tightly discipled armies of the Dukes of hell in our own way, there's a small detail of our objective. Sirs or Mams, whatever you might prefer, how exactly are we supposed to carry it out? " He asks with pointed sarcasm aimed at the previous speaker.

Breitheamh
2015-04-09, 09:59 PM
A flame haired young man, adorned in the simplest of rags, sits slightly apart from the others. He did not feel like the great hero they mad him out to be. His brothers and sisters had given their lives in defense of this world, and he had survived, like a coward.

Phenik looks from one to the other of his two companions who had already begun to argue, and then looks upward in resignation. May the gods' plan for him be one of glory and honor, despite what obstacles may be placed in his path.

Finally summoning his own courage, he stands up and looks toward the balcony, his piercing green eyes shining in the light. "Which portal are we to target first, and how are we meant to close them and seal them forever?" he asks, lending his support to the fey-like man.

Tempestfury
2015-04-10, 11:09 AM
Arcantos personally had no question to ask, simply a swelling sense of excitement. This. THIS was his destiny. A mission set by the gods themselves! Finally, Arcantos had a means to finish a threat he had been fighting for five long years. Finally he had allies that could stand aside him instead of behind him. Finally, Arcantos could see what he was born for... to destroy the portals.

Oh sure, Arcantos wasn’t sure how they would do it currently, or how the portals would actually be closed, but those were minor factors, minor questions that didn’t really bother him to much. He was smart sure, but he was a fighter and a lover more than anything else... okay bard, not lover.. but he kinda hoped to become the later... anyway his point was, that he was focused more on the excitement and historical moment happening around him, in order to think on trivial matters.

Mousedigits
2015-04-11, 10:57 PM
Sorry it took so long, guys. Things have been busy. :smallannoyed:

The four up top look at eachother, and then down upon the group again.

"Good. We wanted to make sure that we didn't choose a group that would simply rush into the gates without a plan. It looks like.."
They glare at Xaron, "One of you would, but we trust the rest of you will keep him from doing something, ah, most regrettable.

"Now, as to how you will destroy the gates. We have been sending angels down to survey the gates, looking for enterance points. See, they're not quite 'gates', per se. Apparently, it is more of a summonig circle. The circle, once opened, starts corrupting the land around it; essentially, it is literally bringing hell up into the material world. Along with it, it is bringing along hordes of Demons and Devils. The only one that is an actual gate is the first, at the 'church' of Trantus. This is what it looks like.

http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110509225653/elderscrolls/images/b/ba/Oblivion_Gate.jpg

We have yet to actually send an angel into the main one, but from looking at it, it is heavily guarded. It likely leads to Hell's 'Headquarters.' It, to our knowledge, should be controlled largely by demons, as demons were the first to come through.

"As for how you all will infiltrate it, we have done some research. Or, rather, theorization. We believe that an object of pure holiness may be able to weaken the demons protecting the main gate, and might also weaken the smaller gates to a point where they can be easily destroyed. However, we cannot create an object of pure holiness, no more than one of you can create an object that is the manifestation of your plane. However, that doesn't mean that such things don't exist. They do, in the deep reaches of space. And, one has, in fact, been on a course for Juran for centuries. We have been speeding it up and directing it for the past 4 years, and it is to impact within 12 hours. However, even with the guardians of the gate having been weakened by this object (which will be in your possession) it will still be a significant struggle to get into it, even if we send an army of angels to seige the gate with you. This is where the first stage of your quest comes in. We believe that destroying the smaller gates will weaken the weaker gate, much like destroying the foundations of a building. When you are ready, you will be teleported to the place where we expect the holy object to land. Be careful, as there are bound to be demons who will attempt to destroy the weapon when it touches down.

whoiam
2015-04-12, 07:40 AM
Nustrilaa hadn't asked questions the first time around because... well, others had asked the question she'd wanted. But then the response came... and it wasn't really an answer. So, this was the elderly elf's turn to speak.

"While that's interesting information for the future, the more immediate question isn't 'how do we close the main portal'... it's 'how do we close the small ones?'. With a typical summoning circle, it's just a matter of destroying the physical markings bounding the circle. I'm not sure if destroying these will be quite so simple... That said, if they do behave like their more typical cousins, destroying the circles won't banish whatever has already been summoned, but it will prevent the circles from calling anything more forth. Which leads to the second question: If we do simply destroy the circles, will it actually save this world from the corruption? Or do we have to go a step further, and find a way to reverse the summoning effect in order to return this world to its natural state?"

Man on Fire
2015-04-12, 09:16 AM
"That part is simple. We destroy the gates, and then hunt down everyone who were so unlucky to stay on the wrong side." Xaron answers Elf's last question, ignoring scolding he received from the gods. He will deal with tht in it's time. For now he wants to see what these demons and devils can do. Train a bit, on their broken bones.
"I'm always ready." He says to the gods, in regard to their previous words about being teleported when they are ready. He hopes the artifact will attract some strong demons, he needs a bit of excitement.

whoiam
2015-04-12, 09:24 AM
"The circle, once opened, starts corrupting the land around it; essentially, it is literally bringing hell up into the material world." Nustrilaa quoted from the briefing they'd just been given. "I was concerned about the corrupted lands, not the demons who would be trapped behind. You're completely right about how we'll deal with those."

Did he really miss that point...?

Man on Fire
2015-04-12, 04:56 PM
"Cleaning up some demon's mess is not my problem." Xaron replies to the Elf. "Make no misconception about me. I'm not a hero. I'm a man who seeks strong opponents and beats them. I'm a killer. I was brought here to do the killing. I'll focus on that, you can deal with small stuff. That's how this teamwork thing works, right?"

whoiam
2015-04-12, 05:06 PM
"Division of labour is sensible enough, but a large part of that is actually allowing the rest of us to do the parts of the task you're not tackling. If you think that interrupting the rest of our attempts to get important information actually counts as good teamwork, then you have very spectacularly missed the point. Now if you know everything you need to, shut up and let the rest of us get our answers."

Nustrilaa and Xaron are going to get along so well together!:smallcool:

Mousedigits
2015-04-12, 06:55 PM
The Gods wait for the Elan and the Elf to stop squabbling, then answer the Elf's questions.

"To destroy the smaller gates, it is really all about killing the ones protecting it. The gates literally feed off of the power of the demons around it. Kill the guardians, and it is simply a matter of disrupting the circle with the weapon. As for redeeming the lands... We aren't sure yet. However, the instant we find out, word will head out to you.

"We, as of now, don't know how to destroy the main gate once you've entered it. We're contemplating a stealth mission of a team of angels into the gate soon. Once that is finished, we'll forward anything we learn to you."

"Well, if that is all, then we'll send you through. If you have more questions, speak now or forever hold your peace. Also...
A small ring falls from the open sky, landing directly in front of the party.
This ring will teleport the wearer, along with anyone touching them, to this realm. Use it sparingly, as it only works once.

I'll give a day or so for anyone to ask anything else.

Breitheamh
2015-04-12, 08:57 PM
Phenik glares at Xaron when he explains his place here. Such mercenaries had no place in a good world, such was the will of the gods.

"Someone else will have to carry that burden," he says, pointing to the ring. "The gods have granted me my power only under the condition of absolute purity."

Rendel Nep
2015-04-12, 09:18 PM
"I can oblige." the gnome responds and picks up the ring and puts in his open palm.

"Yeah, if you don't mind the short delay, just who are we exactly? An epic quest against the forces of evil is fun and all but what of the names of these four people I'm going to depend on? I would think some introductions are in order. My name is Zoshgaret and I work as freelance general under the explicit assumption the armies I lead are fighting the outsider incursion." The fey gnome gestures to his new compatriots and then the elan.

"Come to think of it, I just realised I left some poor kid to explain to his king my sudden absence. Well, I can deal with that later. Anyway, can I have permission to add all of you to my psionic network? It makes co-ordination and fighting that much easier. Should also keep the noise down too. It also lets me and any other psionic adept share their powers." He turns to ask the others.

Tempestfury
2015-04-13, 05:55 AM
Arcantos listened to the small back and forth argument, not sure whenever or not he should say anything himself. That being said, the gods soon stepped in and ended that promptly, satisfying Arcantos. He was more a fighter than a healer, so having the gods permission to simply focus on the fighting was a relief for Arcantos. When the gnome stepped forwards and began introducing himself, Arcantos stood up.

“I am Arcantos, destined Hero and master of blade & song. I will easily be able to inspire everyone to fight better and harder with my music, whilst my mastery of the blade allows me easy control of the battlefield. Joining your psionic network is a grand idea, as it would allow us to more easily coordinate and fight as well.” Yes it was rather... grand and dramatic. But when your life was a story, you tended to act like it.

Breitheamh
2015-04-13, 08:07 AM
"My name is Phenik. I was consecrated from birth to serve the gods and preserve the purity of the world from the upstart Trantus. They have given me power over the natural world."

whoiam
2015-04-13, 11:37 AM
"And my name is Nustrilaa. I am a Priest, Wizard and Bard. Because no quest to save the world is complete without enough bards along to sing of your heroism... in harmony! Just don't expect me to be up to much hand-to-hand. I am over five hundred years old at this point..."

Man on Fire
2015-04-13, 11:40 AM
Xaron ignores the Elf and, through he cannot help but smile, when the gods admit he was, obviously, right.
True display of impertinence comes from the gnome, who has an audacity to offer him, HIM, to join some pathetic network of his. Xaron starts preparing to kill that fool here and now, but them a voice in his head reminds him that one of the goals was to learn how to use the teamwork. And that, as much as he won't admit it to his face, demons are too much of a challenge for him alone
"I shall grant you this honor. You can join your network with me." He says to the Gnome.
"My name is Xaron. They call me Terror in Blue. There is a reason for that. Mine is the power of mind."

Mousedigits
2015-04-13, 04:07 PM
We... Are gods. The originals. So old that the world has forgotten us. Telling you our names would mean nothing to you, as you've likely never heard them before. Well, if you are ready, we'll send you off.

These are, indeed, the original four gods. They are said to have created the world of Juran in Year 0, and have been forgotten about by the majority of the population.

Their names are Maer, Freas, Korrun, and Harel.

Maer is the god of Earth, Freas of Fire, Korrun of Water, and Harel of Light.

If no objections are voiced, a beam of light comes down from the Heavens. Or, rather, to the Heavens, from... Whatever is above this place.

"If you are ready to go, then go now. Step into the beam, and you will find yourself in southern Lannia, in a clearing just east of the town of Makil. Wait for a few hours, and the weapon will arrive. We wish you good luck, adventurers. The world is depending on you.

Rendel Nep
2015-04-13, 11:38 PM
"Well, um, yes." The gnome says as he pockets the ring. "Since we're moving to another plane, I'll hold off on establishing the network. Regarding the theatrics..." He flies forth to the threshold of the glowy beam. "Onward to a Brighter Future!" he cries as he charges forth...into the unknown.

Tempestfury
2015-04-14, 04:54 AM
“Another bard? And here I was hoping to have first dips on the story that was to come.” Arcantos noted with a chuckle and a grin, obviously caring little in all actually about having the claim. When the light came down from above, the hero shook his head and stepped towards it with a grin, saying. “Very dramatic, still, dramatic events for a dramatic story I suppose!”

Man on Fire
2015-04-14, 06:52 AM
Xaron sighs, eating some rather unpleasant words he has about his new allies, and steps into the portal.

Breitheamh
2015-04-14, 09:36 AM
Phenik follows the others into the portal, bowing reverently to the gods as he goes.

whoiam
2015-04-14, 10:11 AM
Nustrilaa heads through the portal as well, smiling faintly as she goes. Hundreds of years of service, and that was her first face-to-face meeting with them...

Once she's through, she taps Zoshgaret on the shoulder. "Well, looks like a good time to start that network of yours. Let's all make sure we're used to it before the enemy arrives."

Mousedigits
2015-04-14, 04:36 PM
As you step into the beam of light, you suddenly feel weightless. Then, your stomach flies up into your throat for a moment, then you feel the land beneath your feet. It's a night sky out, and all seems calm. You look about, and find yourselves in a clearing, a circle trees all around.

You all got, in-game, about 8-12 hours until the thing falls. Feel free to roleplay the group setting up camp, or I can move the game along if people wish.

Rendel Nep
2015-04-14, 11:12 PM
"Yes, Mam." Zoshgaret answers and briefly concentrates before opening up the link.

"Hello? The link should be working. I should mention you can actually communicate among yourselves if you want. Stay sharp, I wouldn't be surprised if we become targets of an ambush."

Activating three auras, Grant Dexterity: +5 Morale bonus to Dexterity, Motivate Care +8 Dodge bonus to AC and Master of Scouting: +9 Circumstance bonus on perception checks.

Tempestfury
2015-04-15, 06:00 AM
Looking around the location, Arcantos didn’t see any immediate sign of danger, or starfall. Plus, the place seemed rather... peaceful in all honestly. Once the network was created and they were all joined psychically, Arcantos nodded. “Yep, I can hear you loud and clear.” The bard simply prefered talking out loud. Stories couldn’t be shared if they couldn’t be told after all. “I think we should set up camp and set up a watch as well. The artifact might take a few hours to land, and getting some sleep might be useful.”

Man on Fire
2015-04-15, 01:25 PM
"You, Gnome, your network works on shielded minds? I'm about to shield mine from attacks wouldn't like to get cut for slight possibility you have any crucial information to share." Xaron asks Zoshgaret. If there are no advises against it, he proceeds to fortify his mind from any attempts at stealing information from it.
Then he goes to medidate and recover expended energy.

PP: 317
Manifesting Personal Barred Mind, Agumented to 17 points, increasing saving throw bonus to +12, duration: one day
PP left: 300

Rendel Nep
2015-04-15, 05:59 PM
No, should be fine. It's all voluntary. Any time you no longer consent you can just withdraw. Speaking of Consent, with the link we can share powers as if we were physically touching. You OK with that? The Gnome replies.

Breitheamh
2015-04-15, 09:47 PM
Phenik recoils at first, at the feeling of the other minds connecting to his, then relaxes, allowing himself to trust the others.

I will take the watch, he thinks. I do not need to sleep. I only ask some time to meditate before our journey begins in earnest.

Tempestfury
2015-04-16, 05:35 AM
“Glad to hear everything being agreed with. Come on, lets go and find somewhere to set up camp.” Arcantos said, nodding when the gnome mentioned that his network allowed them to share powers as if they were touching. A rather useful ability in all honestly, as Arcantos knew very well how important empowering spells could be at times... saved his and others lives many times over.

Man on Fire
2015-04-16, 10:56 AM
"You could say that." Xaron replies to Zoshgaret. "Bathe in my greatness how long you need to."

whoiam
2015-04-16, 05:14 PM
"So, do we all want to camp out tonight, or would you prefer me to provide some housing? I haven't cast a thing today, it shouldn't take me more than a couple of minutes to whip up some shelter..."

Barely out of the transport beam, Nustrilaa has already found herself a nice patch of earth to sit on and pulled out a couple of her spellbooks and a handful of small trinkets. (A miniature door made from ivory, a piece of polished marble and a silver spoon, for those wondering).

Nustrilaa can prepare spells in an empty unused slot in only a minute, and unless the others object she's going to prepare a Mage's Magnificent Mansion for the evening. If they're going to wait, might as well do it in comfort...

Rendel Nep
2015-04-16, 08:07 PM
I vote magic shelter. I've been stuck in a tent on a damp muddy field far too often. Zoshgaret admits.

Breitheamh
2015-04-19, 01:06 PM
"I prefer to stay beneath the stars, that I may contemplate and meditate on the power of the gods," Phenik says, sitting cross-legged on a patch of grass between the trees. "But I thank you for your hospitality."

whoiam
2015-04-19, 01:41 PM
Well, at least one person wanted to try her mansion. Which was good enough for her! So when her minute's preparation was up, Nustrilaa wandered back into the trees. She picked a spot a couple of meters back into the tree-line and cast her Magnificent Mansion spell between two tree trunks. (After all, only the entrance was on this plane, so there was no need to create it in the open ground). They'd have a good view of the 'landing site' from the entrance.

Once it was cast, Nustrilaa thought over to the others. "We've got food and drink. I know most of you probably don't need it, but there's enough in each one of these to feed a company, so you don't have to say 'no' unless you don't want to eat..."

By my mental arithmetic, Nustrilaa just produced enough food to feed 192 people a 9-course banquet.

Man on Fire
2015-04-19, 06:57 PM
Xaron says nothing, just walks into the mansion, takes a seat and get himself something to eat, before going to meditate and replenish his energy.

Rendel Nep
2015-04-20, 07:41 AM
Thank you, Ma'am. Even as an officer, I don't see much in the way of creature comforts and psionics has never that good at this conjuration stuff. I know because my Dad constantly reminds me whenever I go back home. Better than being matched with the woodland Brownie girls, though. Anyway... Food! Zoshgaret says to Nustrilaa before heading into the mansion. As he doEs, the network cuts out and the gnome curses unintelligibly and follows up with a chuckle.

The collctive is currently bound to the current plane until lvl 17

Tempestfury
2015-04-20, 09:32 AM
“Hmmm... pity that his connection doesn’t go from place to place. It would be great to have our watcher simply be able to mentally call to use if there is a problem.” Arcantos said, noting how the network vanished when the gnome stepped through into the portal... with this in mind, he decided that it was best to not sleep inside it himself. He didn’t mind sleeping under the stars either.. but Arcantos stepped through to join everyone at the table, asking. “So, we all must have quite a story each to be summoned by the first of the gods.”

Man on Fire
2015-04-20, 01:32 PM
"Fantastic." Xaron mumbes with iritation, as the bard starts with the stories. Like he cares who are these people.

whoiam
2015-04-21, 05:59 PM
"I have a very, very long story. Most of it isn't that interesting unless you're a historian. As far as you are concerned, the highlights are that I got picked for my efforts assisting various armies that were fighting against the demonic and devillish invaders. And I was lending my magic to such groups because I was, several decades back, actually involved in spreading the word of Trantus. There are few things quite like demons for focusing your mind on the sins you want to atone for..."

Tempestfury
2015-04-22, 04:37 AM
“Ah, a redemption story! The best kind of story, always amazing to see someone walk in darkness, turn and see the depth of their sins, and then struggle back to the light! Its a much grander and tougher journey, then just standing in the lighting and fighting against the darkness in the first place.” Arcantos said enthusiastically, one not sure if he was proud to be alongside someone who turned away from his sins... or just enjoying the fact that his companion had a good story, without caring too much about the companion himself.

Man on Fire
2015-04-22, 03:58 PM
"So, what piad did the other side offered to you?" Xaron asks, bluntly and with no compassion whatsoever. "Once we..sorry, I mean I'm done here and I kill that Tranus guy, I'll go back to my city and take the throne that rightfully belongs to me...I'm going to start my own religion. You can spread my word, Elf." He says smugly, while putting legs on the table and eating some more of the food.

whoiam
2015-04-22, 04:18 PM
"Pay? No, no pay. An Angel in good standing asked for the assistance of a lifelong priest - I would not charge for such service.

Once I realised that whatever Trantus was collecting followers for was his own will, not that of the Gods? Then I left. I know where my loyalties lie, and would not deliberately act against them.

As for spreading the word of you, even putting aside the sheer stupidity of such acts of hubris immediately after the previous being to attempt such a thing broke the world in the process... I am an old woman, Xaron. I have seen one of every two years this world has existed. Even Elves do not live forever, and I would have retired decades ago if not for the actions of Trantus. One way or another, this campaign will be my last action of note. Perhaps young Arcantos would be a more willing herald?"

Breitheamh
2015-04-22, 07:50 PM
Phenik had somewhat reluctantly followed the others into the shelter. He preferred to be out in the gods' creation, but talking to the others was a social obligation, and should be followed out of courtesy.

As Nustrilaa describes her part in Trantus' rise, his eyes narrow to cat-like slits, and fur begins to grow around his ears as rage begins to flow into his blood. However, when she expresses her regret and her motivation, he begins to soften.

"I was born and raised to destroy Trantus, and now that he has wreaked such havoc upon the world, I am destined to end it. That is my call, and my purpose.

I am glad to meet a kindred spirit, even if you were lead astray before.

As for you, however," he says, turning to Xaron. "I find you disgusting, and barely tolerable. I will work with you until peace is restored, after that, I intend to wash my hands of your stink.

My brothers and sisters shall not have died that men like you could take control of the world."

Tempestfury
2015-04-23, 07:01 AM
“Oh, I’m more likely to stab my blade through him than to become a herald of him.” Arcantos said, still cheerful with a smile even when the conversation was taking quite a serious turn... and he was threatening someone else. “I only tell stories that are worth being told, and a little man like him deserves a whooping more than anything else. Who knows maybe he’ll get in over his head during our quest and learns humility when we gallantly step in to save his life. I’m not betting on it however so I’ll just have to beat him down later.”

Man on Fire
2015-04-23, 11:56 AM
"Sure not feeling any of that "teamwork spirit" I heard so much about. Are you going to kill demons with that holier-than-thou attitude?" Xaron says, snarkly, as he stands up. "This was fun, but now excuse me, I'll be having a healthy meditation before they arrive."

Rendel Nep
2015-04-23, 07:01 PM
Wow, kid. You certainly don't lack ambition but within hours of our meeting, you're already have fine outstanding people invoking death threats. That's one heck of a talent. Great for angry mobs demanding your head. Not much use if you want to lead. The Gnome says with amusement.

Me? I can honestly say I've always depended on my friends and in turn I did my best to make sure they could depend on me. Ever since the time when I discovered that my forest home was about to torn down by some demonic cabal for their siege weaponry. I've lost many good friends in the various battles versus the underworld and each of them, wrenches at my soul. Now not to sound like a preening peacock but my talent at rallying the forlorn and desperate was probably the reason I was called upon. It's kind of hard to set upon an enemy if they're hitting you with a hundred accurately aimed catapults, right?

If you want to cultivate 'teamwork spirit', check your ego at the door. Every single one of us are because we are the best at what we do and are motivated for the task at hand. Save your contempt and cruelty for your enemies because when it comes down to it, we're less likely to help you the less we like you. Don't compete on kill counts because that's no metric to determine OUR effectiveness.

And regarding the holier than thou attitude? I'm sure Nustrilaa can demonstrate how effective that is with a spell or two.

whoiam
2015-04-23, 07:40 PM
Quietly, the elf chuckles to herself.

"Let him go, Zoshgaret. He would not have been invited were the ego not warranted, and we need allies more than we need pleasant conversation. Besides... lectures rarely work to convince a man consumed by his own ego to alter his ways. Direct challenges to his world-view would need to be... something momentous... for them to have any real effect. Anything less, and it just reinforces the conviction in his mind that we're all deluded or inferior. Just set a good example, and hope he realises by himself that such an attitude does come with its own drawbacks.

After all, he's only young. If nothing else, we can always hope that he may eventually grow up..."

Rendel Nep
2015-04-24, 07:32 AM
Zoshgaret nods.
Of course you're right. I doubt he'd actually acknowledge anything I said. Not Yet but he's going to mull over things and it's important he heard what was said. Well apart from the very last bit. Although, psionics is pretty alignment neuter so who knows? He admits before adding a wry smile. He then turns to the bard and poses a question of his own.
Anyway, Arcantos. You've got any more questions or do we get to hear your story?

Tempestfury
2015-04-25, 10:16 AM
“Ah, a lovely story of one rising to face up against a threat, becoming and inspiring others to become greater than themselves.” Arcantos said, once again delighted by the story of his companion, through perhaps a little less than Nustrilaa’s story. Still, he was smiling and his attention had completely diverted away from Xaron, pretty much dismissing him completely as he turned to fact the gnome. “No more question for me, not when you have asked so nicely for the story of my own! Do you mind if I share my song? Not written by myself of course, as that would be above the height of arrogance! But why bard would not learn a song about themself?”

Rendel Nep
2015-04-25, 09:06 PM
No complaint from me...Actually, as a gnome pixie hybrid, the amount of music that's been lacking from my life should probably declared an obscenity against both gnomish and pixie cultures. Please, I would very much appreciate it. Zoshgaret says earnestly as it dawns on him how much he's been neglecting his heritage.

Man on Fire
2015-04-26, 06:12 AM
Xaron walkes off to another room and meditates, deciding these fools with their stupid tales and lack of respect are simply below his notice.

whoiam
2015-04-27, 07:39 AM
"Oh, there were quite a few songs written about me when I was still young and pretty. I didn't learn most of them. Let's just say that 'the innocent wandering priestess' isn't the sort of song you want to sing when you're the prettiest and worst armed woman in a tavern full of drunken humans! Especially when you consider I'm not actually much good at singing. Still, bad as singing it poorly would have been, doing the Interpretative Dance version would have been far, far worse."

Nustrilaa has ranks in Act, Dance, Keyboard, Oratory and Wind, but never actually trained to sing. As a priest you only really need to be able to keep up with your congregation, after all...

"Still, they died down eventually. I used to challenge the bards who composed them to contests, with the stake being that they had to stop writing or singing those kinds of songs if I won. I only lost once...

But, enough of my stories. You had a song to sing! We're all ears..."

If I remember correctly, the D&D form of old age for elves doesn't involve grey hair and wrinkles like it does for other races. But rather they start having a faintly ethereal tint to their appearance, as if they're slowly edging away from the material plane. For any PC familiar with Elves it's pretty easy to see that she really is an old woman like she claims, but for anyone not familiar with Elves it'll look like she's lying about her being over the equivalent of retirement age, since apart from the 'fading', she doesn't look any different than she did at age 100.

Tempestfury
2015-04-27, 01:10 PM
“Well, I will confess that my specialty is more the music than the actual singing, and that the song I have in mind is one of the shorter songs because of that.” Arcantos said, though he did not have any troubles with moving his chair back in order to give himself room. Out came a simply magnificent harp, to which Arcantos gently ran his hands across. The bard frowned, and set about quickly tightening or loosening several of the strings. Which took a few minutes and a few other tests. Once he was finally satisfied, he smiled at the others. “Sorry for the wait!” With a pluck of his strings, he was launched into the song.

’Oooooh the fair Itisko wander the lands, spreading their story and song
And so gifted were they that the world did decree, that a hero to them be boooorn!
So to song and blade this child was raised, to spread both cheer and aid
With a soul of a bard and the heart of a hero, thus was his path thusly paved!’

‘It was at a young age, when our grand hero left to wander the woooorld,
So quick was his blade and so strong was his tongue that bandits were naught but toooooys!
Such was his skill that he sought out the ‘king’ and slew him in one mighty strike,
And thus started the legacy of Arcantos the wanderering heeeero!’

‘Many threats did he defeat, many warriors did he face, always with a song and a smiiile!
Old songs were discovered, ancient treasures brought to light, and evils vanquished from where they caaaame!
And whilst many came to love him and more to respect him, our hero walked aloooone!
For such was his path that none else could match and others would not survive it!’

‘So let me tell you the tales my friend, the tales of Arcantos the wanderer,
But let me warn you that so plenty are they, that to tell them all would render you all a-beeed!
Five shall be told for your pleasure today, and more will be heard if you come back tomorrow!’

[roll0]
[roll1]

Breitheamh
2015-04-28, 09:21 AM
Phenik smiles in reply to the song. His family had never had much opportunity to hear such joyous art before. But they were all dead now anyway. They would never learn what he was learning, hear what he was hearing, smile at what made him happy. The thoughts bring tears to his eyes, and he says, "Filien would have loved to hear that. Please excuse me."

He walks back outside the extradimensional shelter, wiping tears out of his eyes with his shirt, and sits down cross-legged in the glade, begging desperately in prayer that his family's sacrifice would not be in vain, and that one day he might see them again.

Rendel Nep
2015-04-30, 09:58 AM
Zoshgaret looks a bit blown away and gazes at the man and his harp. He mouth the word 'amazing' and continues to stare in disbelief as Phenik makes his excuse to leave.

"That was fantastic"

"Phew...you know, I'm rather hopeful we end up in a surprise attack when our relic drops. Any chance to hear you play at the height of battle. Although given our current emotion state, we could be left at a disadvantage."

Tempestfury
2015-05-02, 07:52 AM
The fact that one of his companions had to leave so suddenly, with what looked like tears in his eyes shocked Arcantos... his music was a happy, jovial tune, meant to inspire and cheer those who hear it. To see someone be sadden by it... well, it shook him in all honestly. Made him wonder just what had happened to cause his music to bring such tears... and if his music was what he thought it was. Despite his talk, Arcantos was young... and he wasn’t that secure in his abilities amongst others chosen by the gods.

At least, that was until the gnome spoke up, taking his attention as he compliment him on his music... and commented that the song might distract him from the fighting! Arcantos grinned at this, not quite laughing but now much more upbeat now. “Oh, don’t worry about that my friend! I have long since mastered the art of making sure my music only encourages people to fight! Why, I think you’ll be surprised at what I can do with my music when we get into battle.”

whoiam
2015-05-02, 12:55 PM
"You have a truly rare talent with that harp, Arcantos. Perhaps the best musician I have encountered in a century." Nustrilaa's mind seemed to be elsewhere, as her response was more clinical than anything.

What was occupying her thoughts didn't remain a secret for long, as she would proceed to follow Phenik back out of the mansion.

Outside, Phenik's attempt at communing with... well, their employers... was interrupted by the placing of a hand upon his shoulder. "Your exit left my super-secret mystical priest senses tingling, " she told him. Going for a fairly light tone, without actually trying to make light of what he's going through. "and besides - I was observant enough to notice you having 'issues' with my history. I am thinking that we should talk, about one or the other."

Breitheamh
2015-05-02, 02:46 PM
Phenik starts at the touch on his shoulder, then relaxes when he sees who it is.

"I am sorry for my behavior. My anger can sometimes get the best of me, even with all my training to channel it properly," he says as he drops his eyes.

He takes a deep breath, then continues, "You were deceived by Trantus, as were so many others. I do not blame you for this, and that you are now trying to right those wrongs is worthy of praise. The priests told me there would be people like you, and that mercy and compassion must be observed." He looks back into Nustrilaa's eyes, fresh tears welling up, and shame written plainly across his face.

"But my failures cannot be overlooked so easily. It was my destiny to lead my brothers and sisters to victory against Trantus, and to bring peace to the world. To lead it into a new age of enlightenment...a-an--...

...and I let them die. I watched them be torn apart by demons. Everyone I--...

...All of them. Dead. In one day....While I fled!" His voice rises as the emotions boil over inside.

"Now they will never fulfill their destiny! They will never see this world have peace! They will never hear such sweet music as that man played, or feel the warmth of love that the innocent know! Because I was too much of a coward to die for them!!"

He once again averts his eyes in shame after his outburst, and he turns away to sit back down. After a small pause for air, he says, "I am sorry. I should not have gotten so angry. Please forgive me."

whoiam
2015-05-02, 03:22 PM
"...Of course the priests told you there would be people like me. If nothing else, there was me. I may not be famous to you, but every formally trained priest on Juran has read some of my work. The histories, mainly. About the only place the names of Maer, Freas, Korrun, and Harel are recorded these days are in my earliest writings, when I was recording the knowledge of the first generation of elves as they faded from Juran.

Oh... those were the four Gods we were just recruited by, since I may not have mentioned that earlier, and I know few outside the priesthood have read my old journals."

As the topic shifts from herself to Phenik, Nustrilaa starts to grow a little more serious.

"Now, I could tell you what you just told me. That just like the other priests, I believe that such transgressions can, and should, be forgiven. But the truth, as I think you're starting to suspect by now, is that my forgiveness means as little to you as yours does to me. The redemption we both seek is not in the eyes of our peers, but in our own. Besides, that anger can drive you as surely as my shame drives me.

The best advice I can give you is to be mindful of the difference between being motivated by your anger and being dominated by your anger. It's not always such an easy thing to tell the difference when it's happening to you...

As I hinted at before, I broke from Trantus' cult. What I glossed over is that I did so decades before the demons came. I started my 'freedom' by trying to convince some of the other cultists to leave with me... and failed, utterly. Not that they wouldn't believe what I was saying, just that the message I brought was so far contrary to their view of reality they could not accept it. In my shame - and despair - I retired to a cathedral, turning myself into little more than a librarian. For around 20 years. It was the coming of the demons - final proof that Trantus really had gone against the will of the Gods - that shook me to my senses. And I've been aiding the war effort ever since.

That's the difference between using your past failures as motivation, and letting them consume you. One of those might well be enough to save our world. The other... well, I don't think we have 20 years for you to go, say, pit-fighting until your head is on straight again...

I know, it's a bit rich me telling you to be a better person than I was, but then the one good thing that comes out of such mistakes is that it gives you the chance to keep others from repeating them."

Man on Fire
2015-05-02, 05:22 PM
"Your lot, singing, screaming their shames. A decent man like me cannot even meditate." Xaron mumbles to himself coming back to the dining room, where he left the others and grabs something to drink and eat. He looks at Arcantos for a moment. "Your song was good." He says with a bit of restraint, as if honestly was a problem to him, then goes back to meditation.

Tempestfury
2015-05-04, 06:51 AM
“Well... that was unusual.” Arcantos remarked quietly to himself, when Nustrilaa got up as well in order to tend to their erstwhile ally. With a sigh, Arcantos put his harp away, not completely content or happy any longer. Whilst it might not have been through the fault of his music, the fact of the matter was it seemed to have brought up bad memories for one of their companions... through Arcantos was going to leave that to their priest... he wasn’t that good with emotions and touchy-feely stuff... still, he was surprised when Xaron swung by to grab some food, and compliment the song... so much so that he left before Arcantos could thank him.

Breitheamh
2015-05-04, 09:17 AM
Phenik looks into Nustrilaa's ancient eyes, and almost smiles. "Their sacrifices shall not have been in vain. I am determined of that. The demons will pay me in their blood. I just wish they could have been here with me, or that I could be there with them."

It's less his anger that's the problem. He's a barbarian; he knows how to use it constructively. It's more PTSD and a big heap of survivor's guilt that's bugging him.

Rendel Nep
2015-05-06, 08:16 PM
Zoshgaret notes the perplexed look on Arcantos' face.

"Hmmm, yeah. Anyway, I'm going to do a sweep around the forest looking for anything weird. At least, weirder than us lot. I figured we need to scope out our surroundings before the artefact hits." He says while doing a circling motion with his hand.

"I'l try not do anything dumb like get caught and bring back an army of fiends but I make no promises. I should be back within 2 hours or sooner if I find anything of interest. With this much excitement I'm not going to get any sleep." He says to the bard, informing him of his intentions.

Tempestfury
2015-05-07, 08:42 AM
“Alright, sounds good.” Arcantos said with a nod, grateful that there was at least one thing that he could understand, and that was how one of their own was going to go on a patrol. Even if it seemed rather unnecessary, one couldn’t be too certain... and exploring the area never hurt. “Try not to get blocked off or anything, that makes it harder to come to your rescue, even if it makes better stories.” Just because he liked good stories, don’t mean he would chose them over a safer one.

whoiam
2015-05-07, 06:28 PM
"I understand.

Don't worry, I'm in no way planning to interfere in your quest for revenge. But on the subject of reunion with your loved ones...

I'll let you in on a little-known fact. For 10,000 GP in Diamonds, I can resurrect someone who's been dead for over a century from a little scrap of their bones. Or their ashes, but those can be hard to find if you didn't get them at the time. If we both live to the end of this, I don't mind putting in a few days casting Resurrections for you. You'll have to source your own Diamonds, though.

Of course, that's assuming the Gods won't do it for you if you ask nicely after we succeed in closing the portals. I bet they could do it without needing the Diamonds..."

Rendel Nep
2015-05-10, 10:08 AM
Noted. I'm surprisingly hard to catch thanks to the Longstride. Anyway, I'll return hopefully without any news. Zoshgaret responds with a smug smile turning to a earnest promise.

The gnome takes off, flying out of the magic mansion and into the woods.

Planning to search around the wood in a 1 mile diameter circle roughly around the site, hoping not encounter anything. Zoshgaret will fly about 20 ft off the ground.

Stealth roll to remain unnoticed: [roll0] +4 from natural terrain
Perception check to search for anything odd such as intruders: [roll1]
Survival check to avoid getting horribly lost [roll2]

Mousedigits
2015-05-10, 02:41 PM
Zoshgaret takes off, flying between trees, seeing the occasional bird here and there. You do notice, however, that there seems to be a strange lack of movement. However, this could be due to the fact that it's currently night. All in all, you don't find anything too abnormal.

Breitheamh
2015-05-13, 09:27 PM
Phenik looks almost confused by Nustrilaa's offer. He had heard of such things before, but to save up so much wealth, even for such a worthy cause, to him seemed to show a lack of faith in the gods' plan, and yet Nustrilaa was a servant of the very gods who would be called into question.

"Your offer is generous, and for that I thank you. But I am not certain that it is the path for me. The gods have a plan, even if it means my suffering, and I do not lightly stray from it," he says, but then realizing that may be insulting, he continues, "I do not know of any other way to worship the gods, but it is clear to me that I also have much to learn."

whoiam
2015-05-13, 09:54 PM
Nustrilaa responds to that challenge with laughter.

"So, Mister Expert, tell me this then: How do you know that the Gods' plan didn't involve your family being dead only long enough to motivate you to save the world? How do you know that your family remaining dead is actually what they intended?"

Pulling her face back to something resembling straight, Nustrilaa continues in a more level tone. "Before the demons came, there were various schools of thought in the priesthood. On one end of the spectrum, those who believed our Gods had planned all of history from the beginning. On the other, those who believed that the Gods had created this world, and then given it to us to shape its future ourselves - hence the withdrawal from the world shortly after creation. It was ours to look after to the best of our ability. The interesting thing is, that whether you're on one side or the other, or even if you live somewhere in the middle, one of the conclusions is always the same.

You can only pick actions that are in accord with the plan if you know the plan. Unless they choose to reveal such a plan to us, all we can ever do is what we think is right. And then pray that we picked the right thing. Maybe you're right, and they want your family to remain dead for eternity. But then, the power to bring the dead back to life is one they grant to the priesthood directly. They only really place 3 restrictions on the process - the one to be raised must be willing, must not have died of old age, and the sacrifice of diamonds must be given. Even if you do believe this is all according to plan, me having the power to do such things was their doing in the first place. So it's at least as likely that I was granted such powers so they could be used, no?"

Breitheamh
2015-05-13, 10:11 PM
"I will have to meditate on this," Phenik replies uncertainly. "As I said, I know I still have much to learn, but I still feel scared that I seem to understand less and less of the gods' plan every day."

Rendel Nep
2015-05-13, 10:40 PM
Zoshgaret returns about an hour later, relieved there seems to be nothing waiting for the party. Once he gets back he addresses who ever is on watch which would be Phenik.

Just been on a little scouting trip and it's quiet out there. Nothing apparent that would trouble us but I might have missed it. After all, the more powerful fiends can teleport. I want to be melodramatic and claim it's almost too quiet but meh, It's the way of things. He says with a shrug before returning to the magic mansion to get getting what would be little more than a nap now.

Mousedigits
2015-05-20, 04:19 PM
All right, time to get this game moving.

The night, for the most part, as of now, is fairly uneventful. The dark blue night sky looms above you, thousands of stars dimly luminating the lands. Eventually, however, things start heating up.

You see what appears to be a falling star, a light streaming through the night sky. However, it looks to be getting closer, and eventually it looks to be heading straight towards your campsight.

There's a huge CRASH, louder than anything any of you have heard, the shockwave knocking some of you off your feet. Anyone outside sees a huge metal ball thing crash into the ground, in the center of the clearing, leaving a crater. The ball, upon inspection, is actually more ovular than previously thought. It's about 10ft in diameter, and 5ft tall. The crater is about 20ft in diameter. It seems to radiate holy power.

Everyone make me DC 25 Reflex saves to keep from being knocked prone by the blast, if you're outside. If you're inside , it's DC 20. If you're sitting in a chair, DC 15 or be knocked from it.

Anyone inspecting the object can make DC 65 Kn. Engineering to tell what this is.

This is an Advanced Annihilator Robot (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/constructs/robot/robot-annhiliator), powered by divine power and thus isn't vulnerable to electricity. Picture. (https://storiesbywilliams.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/enhanced_powered_armor1.jpg)

Might have class levels.

Breitheamh
2015-05-20, 08:54 PM
Phenik nods politely at Zoshgaret, too lost in thought to speak much.

When the "star" falls, he calmly braces himself for the impact and does a slight hop to keep himself from falling over. Then he kowtows and offers a quick prayer of worship and gratitude, and heads back into the mansion.

"I believe the gods have sent us their aid, though I am not certain what it is."

Tempestfury
2015-05-21, 07:31 AM
Despite being in what could be described as a different dimension, the shockwave echoed through the mansion, threatening to knock Arcantos out of the bed he had taken up... though the hero easily rolled with it and onto his feet. Having slept fully clothed, it was no problem for the bard to grab his harp and sword as he hurried to get outside. Knowing that the shockwave meant that something was happening outside... and if something was happening, he had to guess that the weapon had arrived... and with the weapon so to would come the demons and devils.

Rendel Nep
2015-05-21, 08:32 AM
Zoshgaret, not fully awake after his nap, was caught unaware by the impact. The fae-gnomes latent aerodynamic-ism cause him flung across the room from his cot. He didn't even have time to yelp.

*Whump*

"OOOW! Well, our delivery has arrived!" He remarks as he tries to pick himself up from floor.

whoiam
2015-05-23, 03:06 PM
[roll0]

Nustrilaa, having retired inside for the night, was jolted upright by the landing. Luckily she awoke quickly enough to prevent herself falling off her bed.

"So it has! Quickly, time to grab it and get out of here. Get your stuff, if it's not too big we'll just grab it and teleport before anything can catch up with us."

With that she grabbed her pack and her dancing lantern and headed outside...

...to take a look at something where she lacked even the faintest idea what it was. This was new - the last thing she'd had trouble identifying was her first ever demon...

(Her Engineering checks are made at +31, so she can't hit your DC65 without magically enhancing the check.)

Man on Fire
2015-05-24, 09:16 AM
[roll0]

"Finally! I thought I'm going to sprout roots here!" Xaron runs outside to get the object, excited for perspective of anything happening.
"What is it? Is it an opponent? Is it...Oh, it's just a ball." He says dissapointed, upon seeing the object. He comes close and tries to grab it.

my Knowledge Enginnering is at +17, no chance I'll be able to identify it either

Rendel Nep
2015-05-24, 09:50 AM
Zoshgaret grabs his things and runs out to see what all the commotion is about. As he sees the shiny metal ovoid and Xaron make a grab for it, he asks

"Um, when the gods said the artefact is holy, were they speaking of it's associated alignment or simple fact that had been wrought by their hand?"

Man on Fire
2015-05-24, 05:04 PM
"Are you suggesting something?" Xaron asks angirly, but then looks at the object. "Give me your bag, one of you." He orders and then uses his mind to lift the thing without touching it and slowly make it levitate to the bag. If this godly thing is dangerous, it will hurt one of them first.

Spending 5 points to use Telekinetic Force to move the ball to the bag.

Tempestfury
2015-05-25, 09:45 AM
“I’m rather certain that the weapon is a bit too big to just drop into a bag.” Arcantos pointed out calmly after he had come out to examine the weapon. That said, the bard had his rapier out and ready, wary of any enemies that the rather loud arrival of the weapon might attract... something like this simply doesn’t go unnoticed. “Plus, I’ll rather not have anyone touch it. Super-ultra mega divine items tend to make people vanish when you touch it.”

Man on Fire
2015-05-25, 01:33 PM
"Well, if I already wasted my energy to lift it, we might teleport back to the gods' place. From there we can start hunting the gates. And maybe get some donkey for this thing."

Rendel Nep
2015-05-25, 06:43 PM
Zoshgaret fishes out the ring from his bag and puts it on.

"Everyone grab hold of me and to me and we'll be done barring any surprise attacks." He says as he get to the large shiny parcel.

"Is anyone clued in to as whether I need to make contact with it when we teleport?" He asks, pointing to that same thing.

Mousedigits
2015-05-25, 08:15 PM
As the group get ready to teleport, you all hear a quiet whirring sound, growing in volume. It appears to be coming from the ball. Then, as you all stand watching, it starts rising. Underneath it are two iron legs, as thick around as an elephant's. Arms of steel sprout from its sides, each with what look like three muskets attached. Eventually, you see a mechanical giant (https://storiesbywilliams.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/enhanced_powered_armor1.jpg) standing in front of you. It looks around, then turns to you.

Surveying surroundings. Planet: Juran. Environment: Forested. Five entities present. Directive: Unknown. Identity: Unknown. Friend, or foe?

Tempestfury
2015-05-26, 07:16 AM
“Seems to be some type of golem.” Arcantos commented to the others, though he was a little perturbed by the sight of it in all honestly. This... golem as he had labelled it was completely and utterly unlike anything he had ever seen or heard of before... and for a bard and wanderer like Arcantos, that was extremely disturbing for him... and made him curious to learn even more about it. Clearing his throat, Arcantos stepped forwards and addressed it. “I am a friend. What do the names Maer, Freas, Korrun, and Harel register as to you?”

Rendel Nep
2015-05-28, 11:22 PM
While Arcantos holds the golem in conversation, Zoshgaret quickly re-establishes his network.

I don't want to say anything out loud in case it screws things up. Anyway, it looks like we won't need that donkey after all, Xanos. He thinks over the network.

Man on Fire
2015-05-29, 07:26 AM
Xaron ignores the gnome, focused on the strange being in front of them. He waits, for now. But if this machine or whatever it is, tries something, he will strike at it with all his might.

Mousedigits
2015-06-04, 01:45 PM
Searching databanks. Maer, Freas, Korrun, Harel. Classifaction: High Dieties. Status: Living. Remarkable feats: Creation of the planet Juran.

Current situarion: One friendly confirmed, four unknown. Assumption: Friendly.

The hulking mass of metal pauses, then slowly turns to Xaron.

Possible hostility detected. Taking necessary precautions.

Suddenly, Xaron sees the guns pointed at him, spinning.

Question: Friend or foe?

Man on Fire
2015-06-04, 05:16 PM
"I have no friends. But neither I wish to make a foe out of you. I assume the feelings are mutual. How about...an ally?" Xaron answers calmly, completely unfazed by this thing's behavior and even offering his hand to it. He needs it, for now. Besides, it's normal for beings to feel scared of him, no matter how alien or strange they might appear. It's built deeply in nature of all life to be wary of it's superior.

Mousedigits
2015-06-04, 06:23 PM
Affirmative. Allies we will be.

Suddenly, you hear rustling in the trees to the right. As you and the mysterious thing in the front of you turn to look, you see a red skinned, winged creature (http://pathfinderwiki.com/mediawiki/images/thumb/6/61/Nabasu.jpg/250px-Nabasu.jpg)come from the trees, holding a ranseur. Beside it is a creature you might call humanoid, except for its obviously insectios features, with a fly's head and wings. Suddenly, the insect-creature flies over you, towards the construct. As the insect thing flies, the construct raises one its guns to it. The insect is caught on the muzzle, and is launched off as bullets start spewing from the gun. as this happens, the other thing begins heading towards you. The insect lands a dozen or so meters away, dead.

Roll initiative!

You know the insectoid one was a Coloxus Demon.
You know that the other one is a Choronzone.
You can unlock one further spoiler, plus one for every 5 you passed the check. Tell me which ones you opened. If there was something else you would like to know, that's not on this list, ask.
10/Cold Iron and Good
Acid, Cold, Fire 10
Electricity, Poison
None
breath weapon (40-ft. cone, 10d6 damage, Fort DC 29 half, usable every 1d4 rounds), daze (claw attack, Fort DC 31 negates, dazed 1d3 rounds)
Aura of Confusion (Su)
A creature that successfully saves cannot be affected again by that choronzon’s aura of confusion for one day. Other demons are immune to the choronzon’s aura of confusion. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Enemy: [roll0]
Robot: [roll1]

Man on Fire
2015-06-05, 05:03 PM
"Well, look at that. The suicide club is open again. And we already have our first volunteers." Xaron says, taking battle position and waiting for the demon to get in the reach. He recognizes this kind and knows they have no vurnerabilities, so he just waits for it to come to him. Or maybe not exactly to him. After all, he has his fancy little amulet. And he is going to use it's power to sent kinetic force of his punches towards the opponent as the mighty shockwaves. And he also adds some fancy little power of fire to it.
He starts by smathing it from above with a mighty chop, then uppercutting it

Readied action: Flurry of Blows once the demon finds itself in the reach. Using Amulet of Mighty Fists with Throwing and Returning and Flaming Burst enchancments, allowing him to use this as distance damage. I feel that the "shockwaves" idea sounds mroe climactic than image of him tearing off and throwing his hands.
Rolls for Flurry's Unarmed Strike
[roll0] dmg [roll1] +[roll2] fire damage
[roll3] dmg [roll4] +[roll5] fire damage
[roll6] dmg [roll7] +[roll8] fire damage
[roll9] dmg [roll10] +[roll11] fire damage
[roll12] dmg [roll13] +[roll14] fire damage
[roll15] dmg [roll16] +[roll17] fire damage
[roll18] dmg [roll19] +[roll20] fire damage

Man on Fire
2015-06-05, 05:06 PM
[roll0]
dmg if crit [roll1] + [roll2] fire damage from flaming burst

Rendel Nep
2015-06-08, 09:17 AM
"This is supposed to be when I call out to Bolster our strength. Considering the odds are dramatically in our favour, I will instead ask that we don't embarass ourselves and lose. TO THE ENEMY'S INEVITABLE DEFEAT!" The gnome calls out in an attempt bolster his allies.

Full action to Rally.
Grants allies +3d6 damage on melee or ranged attacks, +3 Competence bonus to AC and an extra 10 ft of movement. He could also demoralize the enemy at the same time but either I forgot to put ranks in intimidate or decided not to because Zoshgaret is a 3ft fairy man.

Mousedigits
2015-06-09, 12:40 AM
Party
Demon
Robot

Zoshgaret starts encouraging his allies, bolstering their performance.

The Demon is about 50ft away.

What does the rest of the party do?

I would use a map, but I don't know of any particularly good programs. Any suggestions?

Tempestfury
2015-06-09, 08:26 AM
Well now... this golem was proving to be an exceedingly powerful weapon indeed. The demon that leapt towards them was easily dealt with by one onslaught by a single of the golem’s weapons... though Arcantos had no idea what exactly these weapons were... they seemed to be some form of projectile, but like nothing that he had ever seen... still. Arcantos put these thoughts to side now, as they had a new demon to face, and it was time to be a Hero.

Whilst his blade was out and pointed at the creature, Arcantos started not by moving to attack, but instead moving a hand to the lyre strapped against his chest. Without even looking, the bard began to play a song... a new song, that was completely different from his previous ones. Whilst the last song was one of beauty and wonder... this was of strength and power. Instead of bringing all attention to it, the song was in the background, adding to the atmosphere... even the few powerful words that Arcantos sang to go with his music did not take attention...

At least until a pillar of white fire erupted from the heavens above to slam down, consuming the demon in its flames as the pillar lit up the entire forest and clearing... though no trees or grass would catch fire and Arcantos focused its power solely against the demon... Arcantos would admit if questioned that he mainly reserved such power for when he was fighting with an army... but felt the need to show off his power to the others chosen by the others.

Using Triad Song in order to Play Inspire Courage, Dragonfire Inspiration and Song of Cosmic Fire at once. Consuming 7 uses of my Bardic Musics per day. Leaving me with only 15 remaining. Inspire Courage is augmented by Words of Creation, meaning I take [roll0] points of non-lethal damage, and everyone gains +7 to attack and damage rolls, as well as against fear and charm effects. Dragonfire Inspiration means they also do an additional 5d6 electric damage per attack.

Finally, Song of Cosmic Fire does [roll1] x2 damage. Half of which is Fire. Half of which is pure cosmic energy. Finally, the demon must make a Fortitude Saving throw, DC 21, or be stunned for 5 rounds.

Breitheamh
2015-06-09, 10:13 AM
Phenik had only just finished bowing when the sacred gift of the gods obliterated the first demon. Upon seeing the second, vengeful anger boiled to the surface. A feral snarl curls his lips as huge fangs begin to form out of his teeth. He crouches slightly, then springs forward, fur growing rapidly, body elongating into a sleek, feline form as he leaps through the air toward the hateful, disgusting creature. By the time he lands, he is a golden lion, eyes wild in fury as he unleashes a terrifying roar, instilling abject fear into his enemy.

Wild Shape into Dire Lion, activate Rage, move to 10 feet from demon, use Intimidating roar (Will save, DC 28 or Shaken for 16 rounds).

whoiam
2015-06-09, 12:47 PM
Nustrilaa has her suspicions that her colleagues alone will be perfectly capable of dealing with the single remaining demon... but this being their first battle and all, she should probably at least try and show willing.

A quick dip into her component pouch has her brandishing... a small length of golden chain. And as she does so, a set of glowing, golden chains materialize by the remaining demon, attempting to ensnare it.

Nustrilaa's casting Chains of Light on the demon, which needs to make a Reflex Save of DC 24 to avoid being Paralyzed by the chains. Then just taking a few steps back behind her more martially-minded colleagues. Just in case.

Mousedigits
2015-07-05, 04:26 PM
Xaron waits for the horrible creature gets within range, readying his fists to hurl waves of force at the thing.

Zoshgaret bolster's his allies' performance, singing of their hopeful and likely victory.

Arcantos does the same, while calling down a pillar of fire down on the thing, visibly harming it.

Phenik charges the enemy, instilling fear into its heart, if such a horrid creature could be described as having one.

Finally, Nustrilaa attempts to entangle the being in golden chains of light, halting it's advance. However, it resists, bashing aside the chains as if a kitten bashing a bit of yarn.

Then, the demon attacks the closest one to him, the lion.

Bite [roll0] vs Phenik
[roll1] crit confirm (19-20x2)
[roll2] Damage.
Add [roll3] if crit.

Claw [roll4] Vs Phenik
[roll5] crit confirm (20x2)
[roll6] Damage.
Add [roll7] if crit.
If hit, make a DC 31 Fort save or be Stunned for [roll8] rounds.

Claw [roll9] vs Phenik
[roll10] crit confirm (20x2)
[roll11] Damage.
Add [roll12] if crit.
If hit, make a DC 31 Fort save or be Stunned for [roll13] rounds.

Phenik is within the Demon's Aura of Confusion. Make a DC 24 will save or be Confused.

The strange Robotic Artifact launches what appear to be five metal rods, propelled by fire. They hit the demon and explode, dealing [roll14] damage, half force, half fire.

PARTY'S TURN

190 health.
SHAKEN: -2 TO ALL ROLLS.

Breitheamh
2015-07-05, 10:21 PM
As the beast lashes out at the object of its new found fear, Phenik easily dodges through its attacks, moving with a preternatural grace that defies understanding, then steps in close and retaliates with his own flurry of teeth and claws.

5-ft step to T-11
+6 to attack and damage from favored enemy
Bite [roll0] (crit confirm [roll1])
Damage [roll2] (crit [roll3])
Claw 1 [roll4] (crit confirm [roll5])
Damage [roll6] (crit [roll7])
Claw 2 [roll8] (crit confirm [roll9])
Damage [roll10] (crit [roll11])

Rendel Nep
2015-07-06, 08:22 AM
That it Phenik! Rip it's guts out. Make it regret the very moment it stepped out side that portal! The Gnome shouts in an endevour to further courage more carnage. He then pauses briefly then shoots an eerie green energy ray that most of the party is probably familiar with.

Swift action to maintain the rally.
Move action to gain a psionic focus, choosing sonic as my preferred energy.
Standard Action to manifest Disintegration on the demon augmented by 3pp (14PP)
Touch attack [roll0] Damage [roll1] DC (27) or [roll2]
Touch attack [roll3] Damage [roll4] DC (27) or [roll5] Realise that I never picked an energy ray type power and feel really dumb about it and the ensuring awkwardness that will follow when Zoshgaret keeps borrowing Xaron's power.

Mousedigits
2015-07-27, 03:28 PM
At Phenik's attacks, the demon visibly shudders, weakened. When Zoshgaret's beam of energy hits it, it seems as if it could topple at any second. So, seeing this, Arcantos moves in to finish the beastie off, and kills it easily. (Had 1 HP left.)

End of Combat.

whoiam
2015-07-27, 05:44 PM
"Well, that was fun." Nustrilaa almost managed to say that with a straight face. Whatever her opinion of combat may have been centuries ago, she clearly had little taste for it now.

"If anyone's left anything in the mansion, go grab it quickly. I'll be teleporting the lot of us to somewhere else as soon as we're ready - those probably aren't the only demons coming to investigate, and we'd probably rather not be interrupted."

Rendel Nep
2015-07-27, 11:33 PM
"Hmm, It was certainly short. I think I've got everything. Actually..." Zoshgaret says.

He looks over the body of the deceased demon briefly for any valuables. [roll0]

Mousedigits
2015-07-28, 04:21 AM
Zoshgaret does, actually, find something on the monster. A letter, written in a strange language.

The letter appears to be written in a strange mixture of Infernal and... something else... you manage to decipher about half of it from your knowledge of Infernal:

Urishak, surely you...? The Big Four are... They... us gone. Off this... the pit we all came from. And, to do it, they've sent... come and do it for them... sort of "Holy Weapon" and... they can defeat us. We can... "heroes" easily... simple ordinary... However... this weapon, this... the Big Four will keep sending... destroy all... and with... weapon, one group is... at some point. You need to... capture... least isolate it.... I'll send Firshik with... him as a decoy... expendable. If... bad, come back here... weapon in tow, information about its ...

The letter appears to be written in a strange hybrid of Abyssal and... Something else. You manage to translate about half of it:

... have heard? ... taking action... want ... world. Returned back to... lackeys ... giving... telling them that... kill these... they're... mortals... as long as... artifact, exists... more and more mortals to... we have achieved... that... bound to succeed... go to them and... that weapon, or at... from the mortals... you. Use... he is... everything goes... Even without the... nature are still useful.

-Grintarr

The letter is written in a strange hybrid language of Abyssal and Infernal. You don't quite understand why it wouldn't be written in one language or the other, as Demons and Devils hate each other, and from what is known about them, they couldn't stand being in the same room together, let alone create a language together. It says:

Urishak, surely you have heard? The Big Four are taking action. They want us gone. Off this world. Returned back to the pit we all came from. And, to do it, they've sent lackeys to come and do it for them, giving them some sort of "Holy Weapon" and telling them that they can defeat us. We can kill these "heroes" easily, they're simple ordinary mortals. However, as long as this weapon, this artifact, exists, the Big Four will keep sending more and more mortals to destroy all we have achieved, and with that weapon, one group is bound to succeed at some point. You need to go to them and capture that weapon, or at least isolate it from the mortals. I'll send Firshik with you. Use him as a decoy, he is expendable. If everything goes bad, come back here. Even without the weapon in tow, information about its nature are still useful.

-Grintarr

Rendel Nep
2015-07-28, 05:46 AM
The gnome pulls the scroll from the body,unfurls it, stares at it, turns it on it's side (hoping that would help), stares at it some more and then shakes his head.

He know what it looks like but never learnt either of the languages as he seen both on countles battlefield.

Can anyone read this? It's fiendish of some sort. He asks, holding up the scroll, offering it up for someone else to take.

whoiam
2015-07-30, 06:59 PM
"Don't worry, there's a spell for that."

Nustrilaa takes a moment to cast Comprehend Languages on herself, and then takes the note from the gnome. It probably looks faintly comical to see the ancient scholar tracing across the writing with a finger, but the spell she was using required physical contact with the writing, so...

In a surprisingly deep, masculine voice (Acting and Oratory being some of her trained performance disciplines - she didn't really need to do the voice, but it just seemed right) Nustrilaa reads the contents of the note. "Urishak, surely you have heard? The Big Four are taking action. They want us gone. Off this world. Returned back to the pit we all came from. And, to do it, they've sent lackeys to come and do it for them, giving them some sort of "Holy Weapon" and telling them that they can defeat us. We can kill these "heroes" easily, they're simple ordinary mortals. However, as long as this weapon, this artifact, exists, the Big Four will keep sending more and more mortals to destroy all we have achieved, and with that weapon, one group is bound to succeed at some point. You need to go to them and capture that weapon, or at least isolate it from the mortals. I'll send Firshik with you. Use him as a decoy, he is expendable. If everything goes bad, come back here. Even without the weapon in tow, information about its nature are still useful."

Once it's done, she switches back to her normal 'kindly old librarian' voice. "And it's signed by one 'Grintarr'. Well, this is interesting. It seems that Hell is rather better at getting information from Heaven than the reverse. Or our Gods have better information about our foes' movements than they let on."

Breitheamh
2015-07-30, 07:10 PM
As their foe crumples to the ground, lifeless, Phenik struggles to reign in the instinctual urge to feast on its flesh, and quickly changes back into a human, stumbling slightly as fatigue sets in.

He looks incredulously at Nustrilaa as she reads off the scroll. "How can this be? The demons know everything, it seems!"

whoiam
2015-07-30, 07:22 PM
"It could be done by magic, though it would be beyond me. Or it could be done by traitors or spies - I've seen one Angel fall before, after all. If one can fall, presumably so can a second. But either way, that's our Gods' problem, not ours. We need to concentrate on what we're going to do with our 'weapon' now we have it.

So, where do you want me to take us - out into a wilderness far from here, or to go after a small portal and see if we actually can start cutting them off?"

Breitheamh
2015-07-30, 07:31 PM
A small piece of lion still in his face, Phenik snarls at the question. "We take this fight to them, and prove what 'simple ordinary mortals' can achieve with the aid of the Gods."

Rendel Nep
2015-07-31, 09:38 PM
Sounds like an opportunity for a thorough demon-stration. I think we should strike the first blow and see what can be done about the portals. Give a taste of their own shock and awe. The gnome says liking the the idea.

However, I just want to have it acknowledged that if we go after Grintarr, he has possibly set a trap in a plot have us deliver our large metal unamed friend to him but we are willing to go with it anyway due to our contempt for him and all he stands for. Which at this point seems to be throwing minions at his problems. I just find it odd that they would bother with mission briefs done in writing unless they want it to be found He points out, suspicious of the letter.

whoiam
2015-08-03, 07:07 PM
"I wasn't planning to head straight for this 'Grintarr', even if I knew where he was. I was just going to pick a small, isolated portal that we could go and try closing. Now, if you're all happy with that approach... grab your things, gather around, and I'll get the teleportation started..."

Rendel Nep
2015-08-04, 04:34 AM
In that case, I'm ready. Zoshgaret says with a shrug.
He then gestures to the golem. "We still need to name it. Until we can find some thing more suitable, or learn about it. I'm going with MGS."

Man on Fire
2015-08-06, 02:41 PM
"Dammit. @#$% killsteallers!" Xaron mubles angirly, dissapointed the demon dropped dead before he even got to hit it. "I wanted him to get in my reach and beat him to the inch of his life, even had a joke about walking straight into my fist ready." He grumps, sounding like a dissapointed child, only stopping when one of his allies reads the info out loud.
"I'd be more concerned not about who sent this message, but who is received it. He might still be around, asusming this other one is a distraction. He sure went down just as one."

Rendel Nep
2015-08-14, 12:46 AM
They both did. Remember the other one that got shot down by MGS.

Man on Fire
2015-08-14, 01:45 PM
"He died so fast I forgot he ever existed!" Xaron laughs. "Which begs the question if he really was the one sent after us. I find it hard to believe these demons everyone keep being so scared off would sent somebody so weak to secure this incredible thing THEY are scared of. Speaking of which." He turns towards the golem thing. "What was your name again?"

Mousedigits
2015-08-15, 01:17 PM
In that case, I'm ready. Zoshgaret says with a shrug.
He then gestures to the golem. "We still need to name it. Until we can find some thing more suitable, or learn about it. I'm going with MGS."

"He died so fast I forgot he ever existed!" Xaron laughs. "Which begs the question if he really was the one sent after us. I find it hard to believe these demons everyone keep being so scared off would sent somebody so weak to secure this incredible thing THEY are scared of. Speaking of which." He turns towards the golem thing. "What was your name again?"

The hulking mass of iron turns to you and says Your identification for me is incorrect. I am not a Mechanical Garbage System. I am an Artificial Robotic Gargantuan, Class O. Or, ARGO for convenience.

Man on Fire
2015-08-16, 02:53 PM
"Argo. Yes. I can work with Argo." Xaron says. "Can we go already?"

whoiam
2015-08-16, 05:11 PM
"Gather around, we need to be touching for this."

Quickly running through the list of known portals in her mind, Nustrilaa picks one of the smaller ones. With the others gathered around, she first casts an Invisibility Sphere on the group, then she grabs the two closest hands to her and finishes by casting a Greater Teleport.

No idea if we're teleporting into danger or not. Figured the invisibility sphere might at least be enough to give us a surprise round if we are :)

She'll be teleporting to a point around 300' from the portal itself, again, mostly to reduce the chance of being slaughtered on arrival.

Mousedigits
2015-08-16, 06:22 PM
The party gathers around, getting ready to teleport. Nustrilla says a few arcane words, and everything flashes.

----------------------------------------------------

The party finds themselves in what appears to be a strangely wide alleyway between two buildings. The ground, as well as the buildings, are made of brimstone. Directly ahead, northward, about 300', you see a huge altar, consisting of large, curved spikes around some object. There is an opening to the western side of it, facing in the direction that would be your left. You can't quite see what lies inside the spikes.

In addition, you hear a voice. It speaks in a language consisting of growls, hisses, snarls, and other nasty sounds.

Remind me, do any of you speak Abyssal or Infernal?

whoiam
2015-08-16, 07:02 PM
Comprehend Languages lasts 10min/level, so the casting Nustrilaa used to read the note is still active.

Breitheamh
2015-08-17, 04:51 PM
"What's that noise?" Phenik asks quietly at the first sound they hear in the hellish place.

Rendel Nep
2015-08-19, 06:38 PM
"Oh, that's probably some fiend informing us for what fools we are for being here. Or a cry out to alert the watch."

Mousedigits
2015-09-10, 05:56 PM
All right, I probably should've said this earlier, but... School has had me busy, and I don't think I have the time to continue running this. Sorry, guys. :smallfrown:

Maybe we can resume this next summer or something? I dunno...

whoiam
2015-09-10, 07:41 PM
Is that something you're actually intending to do? I normally recycle characters when their games die, but I can save Nustrilaa if you're sure you'd pick this up again...

Mousedigits
2015-09-10, 07:59 PM
Is that something you're actually intending to do? I normally recycle characters when their games die, but I can save Nustrilaa if you're sure you'd pick this up again...

Well, I would like to restart it at some point, but you can make another copy of Nustrilaa and play her in another game, whilst keeping this one for when we *hopefully* reboot.

Rendel Nep
2015-09-11, 05:42 AM
*sigh* I've given up. Easier to play in real life.

Mousedigits
2015-09-11, 11:37 PM
*sigh* I've given up. Easier to play in real life.

Amen to that. However, don't just give up on online games. Just keep trying, and sooner or later you'll find one that survives. :smallsmile: