PDA

View Full Version : Player Help How can I sheathe as a free action?

Temennigru
2015-04-21, 09:08 PM
I'm building a samurai (actually a kensai fighter because samurai sucks) that cuts people and sheathes his weapon afterwards. How can I make that so?

Troacctid
2015-04-21, 09:09 PM
The gnomish quickazor, an exotic weapon from Races of Stone, automatically sheathes itself after you attack with it.

Invader
2015-04-21, 09:12 PM
Glove of storing although it's expensive.

Temennigru
2015-04-21, 09:13 PM
The gnomish quickazor, an exotic weapon from Races of Stone, automatically sheathes itself after you attack with it.

But it's not a katana. It HAS to be a katana.

Terazul
2015-04-21, 09:15 PM
Glove of storing although it's expensive.
Use Gloves of the Master Strategist instead. Same effect, third of the cost, also gives True Strike 1/day.

Temennigru
2015-04-21, 09:29 PM
Use Gloves of the Master Strategist instead. Same effect, third of the cost, also gives True Strike 1/day.

That's not sheathing. You shrink the weapon.
What I want is something like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xd8rDas-rrQ#t=123

Terazul
2015-04-21, 09:43 PM
That's not sheathing. You shrink the weapon.
What I want is something like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xd8rDas-rrQ#t=123

Yeah, we know, it's an incredibly (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?146266-Clarifying-Sheathing) common (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?204847-Multiple-Iaijutsu-Attacks-WITHOUT-Gnome-Quickrazor) question. What's been suggested is still the closest you're going to get; There's the Gnomish Quickrazor, or magical storage. Not much else (without resorting to homebrew).

KingSmitty
2015-04-21, 09:46 PM
we've house-ruled quickdraw to do just that, so maybe talk to your DM to let a feat that isn't too great to become a bit more useful

while you're at it try to see if you can allow quickdraw to let you quickly draw anything, be it a weapon or a potion or scroll, as long as theyre easily accessible. So far these things work very well at our table without breaking even a little bit of the game, it just makes quick draw worth it IMO

Troacctid
2015-04-21, 09:52 PM
If you make your katana into a -2 sword (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/cursedItems.htm#swordCursed), you can quick-draw it, drop it as a free action, and quick-draw it again by trying to draw a different weapon. Of course, on the downside, it will be a -2 sword.

Temennigru
2015-04-21, 09:53 PM
A belt of battle gives me a move action 3x per day.
I might get it to do just that.

Hiro Quester
2015-04-21, 10:36 PM
A player in our party a few years back convinced our DM to let him get a modified weapon crystal of lesser return, such that the weapon returned to the scabbard if dropped, rather than returning to his hand from 30 ft away. It's kinda home brewed, but DM decided it was equivalent in power.

ninjamaster1991
2015-04-21, 10:40 PM
If you make your katana into a -2 sword (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/cursedItems.htm#swordCursed), you can quick-draw it, drop it as a free action, and quick-draw it again by trying to draw a different weapon. Of course, on the downside, it will be a -2 sword.

Unless you make it your Item Familiar (and/or your Kensai's Signature Weapon) with Magic Weapon X/day.

Darrin
2015-04-21, 11:21 PM
You can use Sleight of Hand to hide a weapon on your person as a free action. There's a -20 penalty, but oddly enough it always works because the check is only to determine if you're seen hiding the object (opposed by a Spot or Search check).

The problem with this is it's a standard action to draw a hidden weapon, and although this can be improved to a move action with Quickdraw, there's nothing in the rules that allows hidden weapons to be drawn with anything less than a move action. It would be easy to assign a DC for something like "put this object back in its sheath but don't actually hide it" or "draw a sheathed/hidden weapon using a Sleight of Hand check", but unfortunately that would be House Rules.

PaucaTerrorem
2015-04-21, 11:28 PM
snip - Of course, on the downside, it will be a -2 sword.

Strangely enough that trick is the whole reason why the developers put the Weapon Focus line in the game.:smalltongue:

Forrestfire
2015-04-22, 10:49 AM
It is actually an un-enchanted (but masterwork, because it's magic) sword with a -2 untyped penalty applied to all its attack and damage rolls with it. Just stick Martial Discipline weapon on it for the +3 to attacks while in whatever stance you pick, or get Greater Magic Weapon and eat the penalty. It's not that big of a deal as long as you're building with it in mind.

Segev
2015-04-22, 11:39 AM
If you only need to re-sheathe it once per round, you could enchant a scabbard with Unseen Servant. The Servant spends its standard action sheathing the weapon for you.

(Un)Inspired
2015-04-22, 12:36 PM
Take leadership.
Have your cohort lie prone in your square.
At the end of you turn, drop your katana.
Have you cohort spend his whole turn picking up you katana and putting it back in you sheath.

Segev
2015-04-22, 12:38 PM
Take leadership.
Have your cohort lie prone in your square.
At the end of you turn, drop your katana.
Have you cohort spend his whole turn picking up you katana and putting it back in you sheath.

Unseen servant would be a much more efficient means of achieving this.

(Un)Inspired
2015-04-22, 01:39 PM
Unseen servant would be a much more efficient means of achieving this.

The OP is just looking for ways to do it. He didn't say he wanted it done efficiently.

Sometimes you gotta take the stylish route: having your servant crawl around on his belly picking up after you.

Segev
2015-04-22, 01:53 PM
I question your sense of style.

*throws glove on the floor with a snooty sniff*

Grand Poobah
2015-04-22, 01:56 PM
But it's not a katana. It HAS to be a katana.

Think I read on these boards somewhere that you can transfer the magical property of one item into another. I think.

Chronos
2015-04-22, 02:04 PM
But the sheathing of a gnomish quickrazor isn't a magical quality, it's a property of the weapon type. You can no more transfer it to a katana than you could transfer a hammer's bludgeoning property.

heavyfuel
2015-04-22, 03:34 PM
But the sheathing of a gnomish quickrazor isn't a magical quality, it's a property of the weapon type. You can no more transfer it to a katana than you could transfer a hammer's bludgeoning property.

Hmmm. Could you maybe use magic to turn the Quickrazor into a Bastard Sword-like weapon? Y'know, One/Two Handed weapon, 1d10 damage, 19-20 crit?

If you can do that, then just re-fluff it as a Katana. Since the Katana is already a refluffed Bastard Sword, no reason for it not to be a refluffed Quickrazor

Troacctid
2015-04-22, 03:38 PM
Hmmm. Could you maybe use magic to turn the Quickrazor into a Bastard Sword-like weapon? Y'know, One/Two Handed weapon, 1d10 damage, 19-20 crit?

If you can do that, then just re-fluff it as a Katana. Since the Katana is already a refluffed Bastard Sword, no reason for it not to be a refluffed Quickrazor

Yes, but doing so would remove its unique properties.

heavyfuel
2015-04-22, 03:50 PM
Yes, but doing so would remove its unique properties.

Yeah, well, I wasn't talking about making it into an actual Bastard Sword (like with PAO), but simply raising the die to a d10, especially since it's already a 19-20x2 threat. Even the two handed option might not play such a huge part, especially if he intends to play as many samurais in the media use their Katanas: one-handed; or with a Wakizashi (in which case, we just raise the die to a d6)

@OP:

Are you sure your DM won't allow for houserules? I mean, the Katana is a really weak weapon anyways (Exotic, with average 1 extra damage compared to the Longsword). If you're playing without Iajutsu Focus, your DM might be even more lenient

Metahuman1
2015-04-22, 03:54 PM
Spend some money to do 1 of the 2 following.

1: Get ahold of two Size Category Fine permanently animated objects. Have them apply Aid another every round, 1 for attack rolls to hit, the other for attack rolls for damage. Then just buy a 3rd level pearl of Power and ask the DM if you can upgrade a base sword that's cursed for less as a Kensai, and pick up the -2 sword. Congrats, you turned the disadvantage of it into a strength all around for a bit of extra gold, which should be affordable since Kinsai means it's not costing you anything to have a magic weapon.

2: Get the Scabbards outside to be made of Riverine (Make it really thin since, hey Riverine's all but indestructible anyway.) and have it made into a continuous Item of Prestidigitation, limited to one effect. Namely, that when you let go of your sword, it automatically makes the sword sheath itself with out you having to do anything other then let go. Your looking at 2000 GP MAX for this, minus the cost of the actual sword, and you get what you want.

Beyond that, consider taking the following.

Factotum 1, Fighter 2, Marshel 1, Kensai X, Exotic weapons master 1, Iaijutsu Master 5, Kensai X the rest of the way.

That way, when you auto draw and attack on every attack, you get 2 for 1 attacks, can add X2 Str mod to damage, can use Iai-jutsu focus (And because of marshel get double Cha mod to the check. Add in enough ranks to make it into Iai-jutsu master, a master work tool, and a +30 Item and your making 9d6 extra damage per attack easy.) and x2 Cha mod per Iai-jutsu bonus damage die racked up on EVERY attack where your enemy is flat footed.

And even when you can't Iai-jutsu focus, you still get X2 Str to damage and have the Kensai stuff going for you.

(Un)Inspired
2015-04-22, 04:05 PM
I question your sense of style.

*throws glove on the floor with a snooty sniff*

See, don't you wish you had a cohort worming around on the ground to pick up and sheath your glove for you?

Segev
2015-04-22, 04:30 PM
Not at all. That's for the being I just challenged to a duel to do. Harumph harumph and all that.

(Un)Inspired
2015-04-22, 04:49 PM
Not at all. That's for the being I just challenged to a duel to do. Harumph harumph and all that.

Is that why gloves were thrown down? To make the glove-thrower's duel target pick them up?

Eldonauran
2015-04-22, 06:07 PM
You can use Sleight of Hand to hide a weapon on your person as a free action. There's a -20 penalty, but oddly enough it always works because the check is only to determine if you're seen hiding the object (opposed by a Spot or Search check).

See, that right there is enough to convince me, as a DM, to allow you to just do it if you have at least a single rank in sleight of hand and the Quick Draw feat.

heavyfuel
2015-04-22, 07:42 PM
See, that right there is enough to convince me, as a DM, to allow you to just do it if you have at least a single rank in sleight of hand and the Quick Draw feat.

Though to be fair, Sleight of Hand is notoriously dysfunctional. For example:

If you try to take something from another creature, you must make a DC 20 Sleight of Hand check to obtain it. The opponent makes a Spot check to detect the attempt, opposed by the same Sleight of Hand check result you achieved when you tried to grab the item. An opponent who succeeds on this check notices the attempt, regardless of whether you got the item.

You can grab anything from anyone with a DC 20 SoH check. There is no opposed check, you don't even have to beat touch AC. Yes. You can grab things from other people without even touching them.

Also, Darrin's suggestion only applies to Light Weapons, of which a Katana isn't one.

goto124
2015-04-22, 07:57 PM
Archer: 'Hey, where did my crossbow go?'

Thief: *waves crossbow in the air, ? feet away* 'Here!'

heavyfuel
2015-04-22, 08:01 PM
Archer: 'Hey, where did my crossbow go?'

Thief: *waves crossbow in the air, ? feet away* 'Here!'

Now that you mention it, I don't think there's a reach requirement either :smalleek:

Metahuman1
2015-04-22, 08:08 PM
Though to be fair, Sleight of Hand is notoriously dysfunctional. For example:

You can grab anything from anyone with a DC 20 SoH check. There is no opposed check, you don't even have to beat touch AC. Yes. You can grab things from other people without even touching them.

Also, Darrin's suggestion only applies to Light Weapons, of which a Katana isn't one.

Feycraft property. Now it is if it's convenient for it to be. XD!

Darrin
2015-04-22, 09:32 PM

Aha! That's the dysfunction I've been looking for... so drawing any weapon on your own body, hidden or otherwise, is a free action if you can hit a DC 40 Sleight of Hand check.

Hmm. Snag. Text specifies "another creature". However, under the perform option, we have DC 20: "Lift a small object from a person". You = person, katana = one-handed weapon = small object. Mischief managed.

Which leaves the problem of hiding the katana... make it Feycraft so it's considered a light weapon, maybe?

heavyfuel
2015-04-22, 09:45 PM
Feycraft property. Now it is if it's convenient for it to be. XD!

Which leaves the problem of hiding the katana... make it Feycraft so it's considered a light weapon, maybe?

This would work. Bastard Sword is an Exotic One-Handed melee weapon, so Feycraft would make it Exotic Light Weapon.

Probably a brand new dysfunction though: You'd still need to use it 2H or take the usual -4, despite it now being a light weapon. God, how I missed 3.5 RAW...

so drawing any weapon on your own body, hidden or otherwise, is a free action if you can hit a DC 40 Sleight of Hand check.

How come?

Darrin
2015-04-22, 09:53 PM
How come?

DC 20 to "Lift a small object from a person", -20 penalty to make the check as a free action.

heavyfuel
2015-04-22, 10:06 PM
DC 20 to "Lift a small object from a person", -20 penalty to make the check as a free action.

Might work for a lenient DM, but really, "lift" isn't "draw". But since his DM won't even allow a fair houserule like Quickdraw also being Quicksheat, I don't think this is going to help much.

KingSmitty
2015-04-22, 10:31 PM
Travel Devotion.

Use your move action to put it away, and get another move action!

Sith_Happens
2015-04-22, 10:39 PM
Travel Devotion.

Travel Devotion doesn't give you move actions, it just lets you move your speed as a swift action.

heavyfuel
2015-04-22, 10:44 PM
Travel Devotion.

You don't get a move action. You get to move up to your speed as a swift action. Using your move action to draw would make it impossible to use a full-round action to full attack

Tarvus
2015-04-23, 01:56 AM
This ones a bit iffy, but might count. Dragon 324 pg 57 has a Reinforced Sheath that can be used with any bladed Slashing or Piercing weapon. It lets you bludgeon with it for -2 on attack rolls. Costs 10gp and weighs 2 lbs.

The interesting things: the sheath must be enhanced and enchanted separate to the weapon it goes over and it only counts as a weapon while its ON the other one as well. My first though is that, because of the second attribute, quickdraw would actually be putting it back on the weapon. Its iffy, but I'd allow it.

I'm sure the clever people here would be able to exploit the first attribute as well. For example, if you were in 3.P, you could apply the Called enchantment to the Sheath for a +1 cost and "summon" it back onto your weapon. Be a swift action though, not free.

Sliver
2015-04-23, 03:43 AM
Have them apply Aid another every round, 1 for attack rolls to hit, the other for attack rolls for damage.

Wait, what? :smallconfused:

Darrin
2015-04-23, 06:51 AM
Might work for a lenient DM, but really, "lift" isn't "draw". But since his DM won't even allow a fair houserule like Quickdraw also being Quicksheat, I don't think this is going to help much.

The tricky part there is "lift" isn't explicitly defined by the rules anywhere. In this context it's being used to mean "steal", and that's semantically problematic because how can you steal something from yourself when you already have possession and complete control over it? However, the counter-argument would be, retrieving an object from yourself should be much easier than stealing it from another person, so the DC for that should be somewhere between DC 10 (make a coin disappear) and DC 20 (steal a small object from someone else). Making a hidden object appear in your hand is standard stage magic, so I don't see how that wouldn't be allowed under the "Perform" context of a Sleight of Hand check. If we assume the worst and say it's just as difficult as stealing a small object from someone else, then DC 20 still seems like a reasonable target number.

Quibbling about whether this is the same thing as "drawing a weapon" doesn't look like a strong argument. I want the object to appear in my hand, ready to use, and I don't particularly care about the verb I use to get it there, whether it be "lift" or "draw" or "palm" or "steal" or whatever. Once it's in my hand, and I can get it there as a free action, I don't see why I shouldn't be able to use it for an attack.

Nyaa
2015-04-23, 09:16 AM
Mixed Combat? (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/feats/mixed-combat-combat)

Metahuman1
2015-04-23, 02:36 PM
Wait, what? :smallconfused:

Aid another gives a +2 on what ever your doing. Wouldn't that include damage rolls?

Minding of course that even if it doesn't, the -2 to damage is the least important part as there are oodels and oodels of ways to get damage boosters and you'll want to get them however you can anyway.

Nagukuk
2015-04-23, 03:59 PM
If you are just re sheathing for cool factor talk to your GM to do it for free or with quick draw.

If you are trying to "Ijerka-Focus" targets multiple times per round which can really only be done with very few "non shenanigans" ways anyway, ...well then your best answers are above with the stooopid gnomish quick-razor the cursed sword or carrying a hundred swords so you can draw them and drop them etc...

Thurbane
2015-04-23, 04:13 PM
Would attaching a Crystal of Return and just dropping the katana have the same effect?

Temennigru
2015-04-23, 07:45 PM

The problem with this is it's a standard action to draw a hidden weapon, and although this can be improved to a move action with Quickdraw, there's nothing in the rules that allows hidden weapons to be drawn with anything less than a move action. It would be easy to assign a DC for something like "put this object back in its sheath but don't actually hide it" or "draw a sheathed/hidden weapon using a Sleight of Hand check", but unfortunately that would be House Rules.

There is a skill trick to draw hidden blades as a free action

Darrin
2015-04-23, 08:58 PM
There is a skill trick to draw hidden blades as a free action

Skill tricks can be used once per encounter. At most, you'd get two iajutsu checks on the first round of the encounter. Hence the DC 40 check to "lift" the weapon off yourself.

Temennigru
2015-04-23, 09:07 PM
Looky looky I found a feat that gives you a move action as a swift one 1 minute per day that can be taken multiple times
Travel Devotion(Complete Champion, p. 62)

If I buy an item that gives turn undead, I can get even more uses!

PS: Only light weapons can be concealed. I checked.

Sliver
2015-04-23, 11:34 PM
Aid another gives a +2 on what ever your doing. Wouldn't that include damage rolls?

Minding of course that even if it doesn't, the -2 to damage is the least important part as there are oodels and oodels of ways to get damage boosters and you'll want to get them however you can anyway.

Not really, no. Aid Another for combat can add +2 to Attack or AC. The damage roll isn't an attack roll that determines damage.

Forrestfire
2015-04-23, 11:38 PM
Nope:

You can also use this standard action to help a friend in other ways, such as when he is affected by a spell, or to assist another character’s skill check.

You can use Aid Another in any way the GM deems appropriate.

Barbarian Horde
2015-04-23, 11:52 PM
Could you drop the sword perfectly into the sheath perfectly? Dropping something is a free action.

Maybe a homebrew weapon +1 of Telekinesis forces blade to return to sheath as a free action.

Looking at the other post, just carry multiple katanas. Draw it, use it, drop it, repeat.

Now just find a way to have a crap ton of katanas on you.

So now we hire a commoner to hold a bundle of them for you and hand them to you during combat.

Darrin
2015-04-24, 05:27 AM
Looky looky I found a feat that gives you a move action as a swift one 1 minute per day that can be taken multiple times
Travel Devotion(Complete Champion, p. 62)

That's not how Travel Devotion works. As a swift action, you can move up to your base speed. It does not give you the equivalent of a move action. If you used Travel Devotion to move and used your move action to do something else, such as draw a weapon, then you'd only have a standard action available. This would prevent you from full attacking.

The psionic power hustle is closer to what you're thinking. It can be activated as a swift action to gain an extra move action, which could be used for anything requiring a move action.

iceifur
2015-04-24, 07:04 AM
Mixed Combat? (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/feats/mixed-combat-combat)

Yep.

DSP puts out the most wonderful toys.

Jay R
2015-04-24, 08:34 AM
It can't be done without magic. I've tried. Not only does it take six seconds to do, but it should draw an Attack of Opportunity, and require a Dex check to be successful.

My recommendation is a small spell on the sheath, to make it automatically grab the sword back after each strike. (Don't stack a non-fighting spell on the sword; it gets too expensive.)

Temennigru
2015-04-24, 02:16 PM
That's not how Travel Devotion works. As a swift action, you can move up to your base speed. It does not give you the equivalent of a move action. If you used Travel Devotion to move and used your move action to do something else, such as draw a weapon, then you'd only have a standard action available. This would prevent you from full attacking.

The psionic power hustle is closer to what you're thinking. It can be activated as a swift action to gain an extra move action, which could be used for anything requiring a move action.

I don't want full attacks. I want to move, hit someone with iaijutsu focus, then sheathe my katana.
I can also use my regular move action after moving to sheathe.

bekeleven
2015-04-24, 03:23 PM
Looking at the other post, just carry multiple katanas. Draw it, use it, drop it, repeat.

Now just find a way to have a crap ton of katanas on you.
Iaijutsu Katana Chucker? (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?134276-3-5-Iaijutsu-Katana-Chucker)

Temennigru
2015-04-24, 04:35 PM
Iaijutsu Katana Chucker? (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?134276-3-5-Iaijutsu-Katana-Chucker)

I like my build (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html?_=1429653493#id=175241) better