PDA

View Full Version : [5e] Sunless Citadel

Pages : [1] 2

Dhavaer
2015-05-09, 05:19 PM
The Lonely Satyr is the premier inn in Hommlet. This is very, very sad. The Satyr is a large adobe building with an adjoining stable, watched over by a young person of indeterminate gender who appears to be composed primarily of knuckles. Inside the reeds strewn on the floor are not at all fresh, the tables seat the wealthier class of local farmers and the poorer class of travelling merchants and the suspiciously skinny innkeeper - whatever happened to plumpness and rosy cheeks? - frequently shouts at her servers. A lute-player performs in one corner, bad enough to be annoying but not bad enough to feel comfortable throwing things at him. He's lucky he's pretty. The food is curious blend of bland and blisteringly spicy no matter how thoroughly it's stirred and the wind is blowing the stench of the stables in through the gaps in the walls. The wine is good, though.

The merchants are mostly clustered near the door, apparently to tired to walk any further than necessary. The farmers are spread out. No one is on the upstairs floor, though whether this is due to the lack of service up there or distrust of the construction is unclear.

MenhirRocksolid
2015-05-09, 05:54 PM
Gunthar Grass is clearly not amongst gentry of his own class. The food is an even sadder story, on which he's not giving up on yet however, drinking the wine for inspiration and trying copious amounts of castings of mending on the food and guidance on himself on getting the mix of bland and spicy foods just right. By Phyton! I'll turn you into a dish yet...

-Jynx-
2015-05-09, 06:26 PM
Kerrigan drops a plate of food on the table by Gunther, taking a "hearty" swig of wine before taking her seat. She looks over at the dwarf meticulously trying to fix his meal. "Oi that won't do ya much good ol' man. The food here is ****." she says with a wry grin, leaning back in her chair and setting her boots up on the table next to her food. After another swig of wine she looks back at Gunther "Ye ain't from around er' are ya?"

MenhirRocksolid
2015-05-09, 06:41 PM
Gunthar looks up a moment at Kerrigan, and grins. I'll purify this food yet, if need be by sacred flames... Or, I could feed it to my dog, though that might be cruel.

Guidance/mending/Sacred Flame assisted recycling of food check: [roll0] + [roll1]

Dhavaer
2015-05-09, 06:54 PM
With a flash of divine power, Gunther's food transmutes from a lumpy millet porridge to something not entirely unlike naan. It's a bit crisp, but the spices have evened out at least.

-Jynx-
2015-05-09, 07:26 PM
Kerrigan watches as Gunther magically morphs his food into a more edible meal. She chuckles to herself as she absentmindedly scoffs down her food and continues drinking more wine. Life on the seas has dulled her tastes for foods anyways.

Dhavaer
2015-05-09, 09:49 PM
Katernin lifts her bowl and pours the sludgy mass into her mouth, using her spoon to guide the flow. The hulking human coughs as all the spices hit at once, and takes a big swig of wine.

-Jynx-
2015-05-10, 12:43 AM
Shifting her gaze to Katernin "And who might you be lass?"

Dhavaer
2015-05-10, 12:54 AM
"Katernin," the woman says, extending a hand to shake. "You?"

MenhirRocksolid
2015-05-10, 02:31 AM
Looking around the table after fixing up his meal: Well, I'm certainly attracting a lot of attractive female company today, can't say I blame you. My name is Gunthar, emissary of Phyton the magnificent, patron of nature, beauty, farming and apparently also cooking.

-Jynx-
2015-05-10, 08:26 AM
Kerrigan leans forward in her chair and grasps Katernin's forearm. A means of a friendly handshake amongst her pirate crew. "The names Kerrigan a pleasure te make yer acquaintances."

Modigar
2015-05-10, 11:27 AM
Andrea wanders over to Gunthar's table, mug of something that only vaguely resembles ale in hand. "I know the food is rubbish, but isn't magically fixing it a little bit overkill?"

MenhirRocksolid
2015-05-10, 12:24 PM
Phyton teaches us that man should always strive to improve upon the designs of nature, or crappy cooking... Exuberance, or in other words overkill, is only to be encouraged.

Modigar
2015-05-10, 02:30 PM
"Yeah, that just sounds like an awful excuse." She pulls up a chair and sits down. "Andrea."

-Jynx-
2015-05-10, 05:00 PM
Kerrigans ears perk as Andrea sits down "Andrea eh?" she says a moment swirling the wine in her mug and taking another long sip. "As in Andrea Dunn?" the name sounded familiar to her. Pirates of course needed to know who can be of a similar mind in an unfamiliar place. Kerrigans wry grin creeps back as she proceeds to lean back in her chair once more. "Seems like today'll be shapin' up nicely"

Modigar
2015-05-11, 12:41 AM
Andrea sits back in her chair, "Oh yeah? Who're you then?"

-Jynx-
2015-05-11, 05:50 AM
"Kerrigan Rosehelm lass, treasure hunter extraordinaire." she said with an exuberant tone.

Modigar
2015-05-11, 06:54 AM
"Kerrigan, eh? Never thought I'd be running into you." She raises her mug to her mouth to drink and stage whispers: "Not on dry land anyhow."

Dhavaer
2015-05-12, 04:37 PM
It has been a grey and drizzly day. It started to rain, barely spitting, only an hour after you left Hommlet. The sky was a featureless mass of rain clouds, the sun practically invisible behind them. There were no shadows or sunlight, just an indistinct, dim glow. The rain gradually progressed from spitting to a light but soaking shower. The road was wet, then muddy, and seems endless; the top of every hill revealing a dozen more.

Now, it is a dark and stormy night. The rain did not let up and you've seen no shelter for a camp. It hammers down like grapeshot. Whether the sun or moon is in the sky it is invisible behind an impenetrable barrier of stormclouds, and the way is lit only by the frequent flashes of lightning, close enough that the thunder seems to shake the entire world. You reach the top of the next hill and the lightning flashes to reveal no more hills, but a sloping plain with a tall, rocky spire in the centre. Its sides look rocky and uneven; climbing it would be folly, but it might have an outcropping to shelter you.

MenhirRocksolid
2015-05-12, 04:57 PM
Bah... I do admit I like my ladies all soaked, but this is a bit much... Let's head over there Points to Spire. If we find anything to shelter us, I'll be able to warm you all up and dry yer stuff

Modigar
2015-05-13, 04:33 AM
"Good to know you can do something more useful than leer at us and make stupid comments." She glares at him, far from amused by his commentary.

Dhavaer
2015-05-13, 04:54 AM
Between the lightning and the flatness of the surrounding terrain, the spire is an impressive sight. Closing in you see a few narrow ledges that would keep the worst of the rain off but as you reach them something even better appears. Set into the rocky wall is a massive, arched entryway, sealed by great stone doors. The ground before the doors slopes away from them, directing the water away. The ring handles are at a height clearly made for larger creatures than you, but not so much that they are entirely out of Gunthar's reach.

-Jynx-
2015-05-13, 06:55 AM
Kerrigan snickers at Gunthars not-so-subtle advances. A welcome smile given the grimace and discomfort of the rainy evening. "This looks to be a better place than non' to hole up fer the evening" she said looking at the large doors. "Though I say best to be cautious less we waltz in on sum others that had the same idea as us" Kerrigan looks around a moment, examining the door and nearby surrounds.

Perception check in case I can discern anything as to whether this place seems recently used/occupied or anything like that despite the stormy weather.

[roll0]

Dhavaer
2015-05-13, 07:32 AM
Kerrigan notices a large number of pieces of rock on the ground surrounding the door, enough to have made a boulder large enough to hide it. It's hard to tell in the rain, but it looks like the pieces may have partly melted - caused by the lightning, perhaps, though not recently. There's no residual heat.

-Jynx-
2015-05-13, 07:44 AM
Kerrigan runs her hands over the melted portions of stone. Lost in thought for a moment Hmmm...perhaps just the lightning she thought before turning back to the group "I suppose everything seems ta be n' order here, shall we mates?" Kerrigan then moves to the door, grasping at the rings to open the spire gates.

MenhirRocksolid
2015-05-13, 08:01 AM
Ladies first I'd say

Dhavaer
2015-05-13, 08:14 AM
The doors swing open easily, despite their size, although they seem to be weighted to close on their own. A flash of lightning briefly illuminates the inside: the door opens directly into a large room, too large for the lightning to fully reveal. Even Gunthar's darkvision doesn't reach all the way to the far wall. What you can see is only bare stone.

Modigar
2015-05-13, 10:55 AM
"Well it's... big. What say we take a look around? You can make things shiny, right Gun?"

MenhirRocksolid
2015-05-13, 12:39 PM
"Well it's... big. What say we take a look around? You can make things shiny, right Gun?"

Well, I can make them shiny and hot, but not in the practical torch kind of way. Never had the need for it. Maybe miss silent can shed some light fer you all? And before we enter, we'd better first send just one person in, and then close the door, to check whether it can open from within as well with such ease. Otherwise, we'll need to put a boulder or something in the doorway.

-Jynx-
2015-05-13, 12:49 PM
Kerrigan looks over to Katernin "Have ye a way to give us some light?"

Dhavaer
2015-05-13, 06:13 PM
Katernin nods and steps inside, muttering a spell as she digs into her pack. She pulls out a torch which suddenly sparks to life. Looking carefully about, she walks forward in a zigzag pattern; you can't see the sides of the room from outside but they must be just on the edges of the torch's light. The light hits the far end of the room as she nears the limit of Gunthar's darkvision, revealing another large stone door. She walks up to it and examines it briefly before turning back to you.

"Looks empty," she calls. "About ninety by ninety on each side. I can't get further in. No grips on the doors."

MenhirRocksolid
2015-05-13, 06:22 PM
Would you mind trying to close and open the door?

Dhavaer
2015-05-13, 06:53 PM
Katernin comes back. "Let one of them close," she asks. She's able to push it open again without difficulty.

-Jynx-
2015-05-14, 09:18 AM
"Wonder what sort 'o stuff could be layin' around here" Kerrigan says with a gleam in her eye, scanning the area.

Modigar
2015-05-14, 03:47 PM
"Threats now, loot later, Kerry." Andrea murmurs in her direction. "We can find some treasure when we're sure we're safe."

MenhirRocksolid
2015-05-14, 04:30 PM
Lets find some boulders to heat up so we can put our clothes on them to dry. I'm not going dungeon crawling with wet undies...

Dhavaer
2015-05-14, 06:33 PM
"We could pile some more torches together," Katernin suggests. "Not as good as a real campfire but it'd do. Can't say I like the idea of being in the place without my armour on, though."

With the torch so close to the entrance, its light barely touches one side wall and the other not at all. Kerrigan can see only a bare stone floor and the front wall, which looks to have been decorated once from the chips of paint and vague carved shapes still visible. That must have been a century ago, at least.

Gunthar's darkvision reveals a little more, now that he's inside. He can see another door on the right side of the room, slightly closer to the front than the back. As Katernin said of the other door, there's no visible method of opening it, however.

The thunder, though muffled by the weight of stone, is growing closer.

-Jynx-
2015-05-15, 06:17 AM
Kerrigan stares at Andrea for a moment "Lass there is always time for loot!" before turning her attention back to the wall. "Either way I suppose we should be finding passage further in" she looks over to Gunther "By the way lil' lord I shant be removin' these clothes... this aint no brothel... besides a lil' water neva hurt anyone."

MenhirRocksolid
2015-05-15, 07:27 AM
Kerrigan stares at Andrea for a moment "Lass there is always time for loot!" before turning her attention back to the wall. "Either way I suppose we should be finding passage further in" she looks over to Gunther "By the way lil' lord I shant be removin' these clothes... this aint no brothel... besides a lil' water neva hurt anyone."

Apparently you know more about brothels than I do, but I'm not getting myself a nasty skin infection or a moldy beard. Gunthar starts collecting a few rocks from outside to heat them up inside.

Dhavaer
2015-05-15, 08:40 AM
Between the poor light and the ravages of time there is little to see on the wall. Kerrigan can make out what might have been humanoid figures, but not enough detail remains to tell their race or what the frieze depicted them doing.

The thunder is growing closer. The walls are holding strong but you can hear the doors shaking.

-Jynx-
2015-05-15, 11:26 AM
Apparently you know more about brothels than I do, but I'm not getting myself a nasty skin infection or a moldy beard.

"Probably for the best ye be drying your clothes. Wouldn't want our lil' lord to catch a cold" she said with a whimsical grin. Kerrigan moves to the other door checking the door itself for means of opening.

[roll]1d20+5/[roll]

After examining the door (assuming she finds nothing) she swiftly kicks the door with her boot.

-Jynx-
2015-05-15, 11:32 AM
[roll0]
Rolls for great justice!

Dhavaer
2015-05-15, 07:09 PM
The inner doors are smaller than the entrance door, though still huge, and even to close inspection reveal no way of opening. They are trembling violently with ever nearing stroke of thunder, and kicked one sends Kerrigan's foot vibrating uncomfortably.

As she moves from one door to another, an exceptionally loud peal of thunder sounds; the lightning must have struck just outside the door. With a crash, the inner doors fall from their hinges into the room. As your ears clear from the dual assault on your hearing, the sound of squeaking fills the air, as rats swarm into the room.

Two rat swarms have just come in through the right doorway. Roll for initiative!

Katernin: [roll0]
Rats: [roll1]

-Jynx-
2015-05-15, 08:29 PM
Kerrigan whirls on her feet, grasps at her rapier and lunges toward the rats.

(Initiative plus attack to speed my turn up)
Initiative: [roll0]
+
Attack: [roll1]
Dmg: [roll2] + [roll3] Sneak Attack (since Katernin is an ally within 5ft of the target)

MenhirRocksolid
2015-05-16, 02:00 AM
As Gunthar was about to undress he's rudely disturbed. By Phyton! I'll turn these into crunchy rats-on-a-stick yet!

Sacred Flame on rat swarm nearest to Kerrigan: Make a DC 13 Check or take [roll1] damage

Modigar
2015-05-16, 09:12 AM
Andrea swears under her breath. "Bloody rats! I hate rats!".

Eldritch Blast: [roll1] for [roll2] force damage.
Directed at further swarm from Kerrigan.
Edit: Dicebot hates me, see here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?414424-5e-Sunless-Citadel&p=19262247#post19262247) for rolls.

Dhavaer
2015-05-16, 06:06 PM
Katernin takes her greatsword from its brace, scabbard and all, and runs to confront the rats. She squashes a few furry bodies but not enough to make a dent.
Kerrigan has better luck, skewering several on her rapier.
Andrea's blast detonates amid the swarm, sending broken bodies flying.
The swarm splits around Gunthar's spell; the rodents are barely charred.
The rats swarm toward Kerrigan and Katernin; Kerrigan is able to avoid them with some clever footwork but Katernin is not so lucky, as they find a weak point in her armour above her boot.
Katernin stumbles back, too busy trying to dislodge the rats from her leg to mount an effective offence.

Katernin has taken 7 damage.
Rats 1 (fighting Kerrigan, furthest from the entrance) has taken 5 damage.
Rats 2 (fighting Katernin, closest to the entrance) has taken 9 damage.

-Jynx-
2015-05-16, 08:58 PM
Kerrigan spares a moments glance at Katernins struggle. She mutters a few choice swears under her breath as she continues to fight off the rats at her feet. "Kill these damned vermin!"

Attack: [roll0]
Dmg: [roll1] + [roll2] Sneak Attack from an ally being within 5ft

Dhavaer
2015-05-16, 09:52 PM
Kerrigan skewers a dozen rats in a frenzy of thrusts. The swarm's numbers are now severely depleted.

Rats 1 has taken 12 damage.

MenhirRocksolid
2015-05-17, 02:14 AM
Gunthar continues trying to cook some rats that and is too busy casty another spell to say something witty

Sacred flame on Swarm 2, [roll0] DC 13, Healing Word on Katernin [roll1]

Modigar
2015-05-17, 02:18 AM
Adriana brings her left hand around towards the other swarm, and with mutterings about hatred of rats, a blast of force emerges from her palm towards them.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Dhavaer
2015-05-17, 02:34 AM
Andrea's blast sends more rats flying.
The rats continue to avoid Gunthar's spells, but his healing seals up most of Katernin's wounds.
The rats swarm over Katernin and Kerrigan, though with so few remaining Kerrigan suffers little harm.
Katernin throws a few rats off and crushes others beneath her boots, but has little effect on the swarm.

Katernin has taken 8 damage.
Kerrigan has taken 3 damage.
Rats 1 has taken 19 damage.
Rats 2 has taken 11 damage.

-Jynx-
2015-05-17, 07:29 AM
Kerrigan grits her teeth through the gnawing of rats and continues to fell as many as possible.

Atttack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1] + [roll2] Sneak Attack

Dhavaer
2015-05-17, 07:34 AM
Kerrigan's rapier slashes and stabs until she stands upon a carpet of furry bodies.

Rats 1 is dead.

MenhirRocksolid
2015-05-17, 07:41 AM
Seeing that his cooking skills are not working Gunthar imbues his staff and proceeds to bash some of the remaining rats

Shillelagh --> Attack: [roll0] , Damage: [roll1]

Modigar
2015-05-17, 07:58 AM
Bringing her other hand around she hurls another bolt of eldritch force against the surviving rats, intent on obliterating the swarm.
[roll0] [roll1]

Dhavaer
2015-05-17, 05:08 PM
Andrea's blast obliterates most of the remaining swarm, and Gunthar's staff crushes the rest.

Katernin grimaces. "I'm going to find who made this armour and have a serious talk with them. It should not be so hard to defend against rats."

The three inner doors stand open. The left and right doors lead to more darkness; flashes of light can be seen some distance down the corridor from the centre door. Standing near the right door, Gunthar can see a small chest in the room beyond the corridor. The right room seems otherwise empty.

MenhirRocksolid
2015-05-18, 02:18 AM
Hey Kerrigan! When you're done removing all the rat intestines from your pretty face, come have a look here! This should chear you up...

Modigar
2015-05-18, 05:16 AM
Andrea wanders over in the general direction of Gunthar. "What have you found, Gun?"

-Jynx-
2015-05-18, 05:33 AM
Kerrigan takes a cloth and wipes the smears of vermin blood from her face, and then from her blade. "So long as it isn't rats..." she mutters moving toward Gunthar "What be it? It's hard to see anything in this darkness"

MenhirRocksolid
2015-05-18, 05:35 AM
I think I found something that you were looking for Kerrigan. I'd say, light up a torch and see for yourself. And I must say Andrea, you certainly exterminated a lot of vermin just there. I won't be needing a flute with you around.

-Jynx-
2015-05-18, 08:54 AM
Kerrigan puts her rapier away and walks over to Katernin to borrow her lit torch. Kerrigan moves over in the direction Gunther directer her to. Her eyes suddenly lighting up as she sees the chest. "Well well what have we here!" she says examining the chest a moment.

Perception: [roll0]
If nothing seems wrong then she continues with....

After a moment of looking at the chest she tries opening it up.

Dhavaer
2015-05-18, 04:07 PM
The chest is the same stone as the rest of the chamber, and is built into the floor. After a close examination, Kerrigan notices numerous small holes in the wall surrounding it, primed to fire darts if the chest is disturbed.

-Jynx-
2015-05-18, 04:57 PM
Kerrigan slowly rises and turns "Bugger... it's f-in trapped best not be touchin' it less you fancy yourself with a few more orifices" Kerrigan says with distaste, looking back at the chest.

MenhirRocksolid
2015-05-18, 05:11 PM
I think we all have just the right amount of orifices for our gender. Any idea what would be making the said extra orifices, and perhaps how to stop them? Something that needs plugging perhaps, or setting off from a distance?

-Jynx-
2015-05-19, 06:02 AM
"I may be able to disarm it.... best stand back though in case" says Kerrigan turns back to the chest and swiftly withdraws a tool set. She begins examining the mechanisms, careful as she works to disarm the trap.

Disarm Check: [roll0]

Dhavaer
2015-05-19, 06:51 AM
Click.
Clunk.
Kerrigan is not perforated by darts. The trap appears safe.

MenhirRocksolid
2015-05-19, 08:31 AM
I see somebody has been doing a little bit of moonlighting in his spare time, apart from her job as a pest control

-Jynx-
2015-05-19, 03:54 PM
Kerrigans face returns to a wry grin "Looting is an art lil' lord! Now lets see what we have 'ere" she says opening the chest.

Dhavaer
2015-05-19, 05:09 PM
Inside the chest are three large pearls and a crumbling leather pouch spilling coins. There are eight platinum pieces and twenty gold. One of the pearls is glowing faintly.

MenhirRocksolid
2015-05-19, 07:01 PM
Welll, I guess I'm starting to understand your fondness for looting things Kerrigan. Could I have a look at that shiny thing?

Dhavaer
2015-05-19, 09:24 PM
The glowing pearl feels slightly warm, as if alive, and Gunthar hears a faint humming in his mind as he touches it. There's power there that he could attune himself to, with a little time.

Modigar
2015-05-20, 03:12 AM
Andrea chooses this point to walk over."Nicely done, Kerry.". Having said that, she then notices what Gunthar is holding. "Hey, what'cha got there Gun?"

-Jynx-
2015-05-20, 05:44 AM
Kerrigan glares at Gunther "Oi! First rule 'o lootin is he who gets the treasure gets first pick!" she says clearly jealous of the small glowing pearl he took. She grumbles to herself before rifling through the treasure once more. Kerrigan divides the platinum and gold up evenly and passes each share to a person. (5 gp and 2 pp per person) She then pockets one of the pearls and holds the last one out "Which of you lasses wants the last pearl?"

Modigar
2015-05-20, 06:54 AM
Andrea grins and reaches out for it. "Dibs!" she announces, giggling.

MenhirRocksolid
2015-05-20, 10:07 AM
If you give me a second Andrea, I think I might be able to tell you what this thing does. If it is what I think it is however, I think everybody would benefit most if I'd keep if you'd like me to continue saying nice things to you that somehow heal ya.

-Jynx-
2015-05-20, 11:56 AM
"Right, well perhaps we should move on then. Bound ta be more where these came from" Kerrigan said as she leaves the right room and moves toward the left. Slowly moving into the room listening and watching (as best she can without darkvision) for danger.

Dhavaer
2015-05-20, 05:02 PM
The left room is the same size and shape as the right, but instead of a chest its sole feature is a statue built into a projecting section of the far wall. It depicts the front half of a hulking, armoured warrior. The projection from the wall looks to be about the right size to be the sarcophagus of the warrior depicted. As Kerrigan enters the room the statue shatters, revealing it to be only a thin shell of stone over gleaming bronze beneath. The armour steps forward, raising its fists.

Roll for initiative!
Katernin: [roll0]
Animated Armour: [roll1]

MenhirRocksolid
2015-05-21, 01:24 AM

Modigar
2015-05-21, 03:46 AM
[roll0]
Bloody character count...

-Jynx-
2015-05-21, 05:33 AM
[roll0]

Damage rolls for when my turn comes up to speed things along
[roll1]
[roll2] + [roll3] S.A. from an ally within 5ft

Kerrigan watches as the animated armor comes to life. She reaches for her rapier and charges forward with practiced hands and feet.

MenhirRocksolid
2015-05-21, 06:25 AM
Here we go again...

In case there is still room to join the "fun" with cantrip enhanced stick
Damage: [roll1]

If there is no room, do a 13 ref save (use same d8 as for damage roll)

Dhavaer
2015-05-21, 06:33 AM
Katernin rushes in and strikes at the armour. Her sword glances off the thick bronze.
Kerrigan darts in and has more luck, stabbing through the thin plate at a joint.
The armour takes a clumsy swing at each of the women; they barely need to dodge.

The armour has taken 12 damage.

Modigar
2015-05-21, 07:36 AM
Andrea mutters under her breath and her eyes flash purple, before she lashes out, pointing her palm towards the bronze figure, a glowing white orb shooting out from her palm.
First, cast Hex at the armour, then an eldritch blast: Attack roll: [roll0] Damage roll: 6 damage, see here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?414424-5e-Sunless-Citadel&p=19285260#post19285260)

Dhavaer
2015-05-21, 04:13 PM
Andrea's curse settles onto the armour, but her bolt bursts harmless from its plating.
Gunthar's staff strikes the armour with a clang; the bronze plating seems unharmed.
Katernin brings her sword's pommel down hard on the armour's shoulder, denting it.

Armour has taken 19 damage.

-Jynx-
2015-05-21, 07:28 PM
Kerrigan sweeps in again for another strike.

Dmg: [roll1] + [roll2] S.A.

Dhavaer
2015-05-21, 10:12 PM
Kerrigan's rapier deflects harmlessly off a bronze plate.
The armour swings wildly again, hitting nothing but air.

MenhirRocksolid
2015-05-22, 12:55 AM
Attack: [roll0] Damage: [roll1]

Modigar
2015-05-22, 01:25 AM
[roll0] [roll1] [roll2] So 6 damage, I swear, I'm doing less damage after I threw on the increaser =P

Dhavaer
2015-05-22, 03:35 AM
The armour's plating crumples as Andrea's bolt detonates against it, but Gunthar's staff bounces off harmlessly. Katernin roars a magic word and takes a hand from her sword to launch a bolt of fire at the armour, which melts under the heat and collapses to the ground.

The fallen armour begins to tarnish rapidly as soon as it falls, except for a brass ring around one of its fingers.

MenhirRocksolid
2015-05-22, 04:07 AM
Well, colour me useless... But at least you all did a proper job of dodging and scrapping old metal.

-Jynx-
2015-05-22, 06:27 AM
"Well done lads" Kerrigan sheathes her rapier and bends down to grab the ring and examines it "What have we here?" she says softly as she studies the ring.

Dhavaer
2015-05-22, 06:59 AM
The ring is thin and unadorned, but as Kerrigan picks it up it shrinks from the size of the armour's thick fingers to a diameter more suited to her.

Modigar
2015-05-22, 07:14 AM
"Well... it's definitely magic. Gonna try it on, see what it can do?"

-Jynx-
2015-05-22, 11:52 AM
"Might as well" she says slipping the ring on her finger and waiting to see if anything happens. "Suppose we still got one more path to go yet" she says after a moment, heading towards the last untraveled path.

MenhirRocksolid
2015-05-22, 01:23 PM
"Well... it's definitely magic. Gonna try it on, see what it can do?"

Well, with that ring you can find yourself a man, and marry him.

Modigar
2015-05-22, 04:20 PM
Andrea smirks. "Yeah, but I meant here. Nobody's gonna be able to do any of that around here."

Dhavaer
2015-05-22, 08:34 PM
When Kerrigan puts on the ring she has the uncomfortable feeling that some important knowledge is hidden in her memory, just out of reach. It passes when she realises the knowledge is in the ring's memory, not hers. Taking a while to attune to it will probably bring it to light.

The corridor past the doorway in the far wall is much longer than the others and is not totally dark, being lit by occasional flashes of light. As you get closer, you see that they're lightning bolts, visible through a hole in the ceiling. When you are near enough that Gunthar's darkvision can see into the room, something else comes in through the ceiling: two tall, armoured humanoids slide down on a rope into the room ahead. Seeing your approaching torch, they snarl and reach for their bows.

Roll for initiative!
Hobgoblins: [roll0]
Katernin: [roll1]
You are ~30ft. from the room and they are another 30ft. inside it

Modigar
2015-05-23, 03:12 AM
Throw Hex onto left figure, throw an eldritch blast in that direction. Attack: [roll1] Damage: [roll2] [roll3]
CRIT: additional damage rolled here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?414424-5e-Sunless-Citadel&p=19293966#post19293966) for a total of 26 damage

MenhirRocksolid
2015-05-23, 06:13 AM
Initiative [roll0]

Sacred flame on however is hurt most + move 30 ft towards them.

-Jynx-
2015-05-23, 06:15 AM
Kerrigan draws her rapier and charges onward toward the humanoids.

Initiative [roll0]
I'd like to use both my move action and my main action to move the total 60ft so they have disadvantage shooting at me within 5ft

Dhavaer
2015-05-23, 06:46 AM
Kerrigan rushes in to face the hobgoblins toe to toe.
Gunthar's calls divine fire onto the rightmost hobgoblin, who screams in rage as the flames burn him.
The left hobgoblin draws her sword and, assisted by a feint from her comrade, slashes Kerrigan deeply across the chest, knocking her to the floor.
The right hobgoblin draws his bow and fires at Katernin. The arrow punches through her armour and she falls against the wall.
Andrea sends a blast towards the first hobgoblin, striking her in the middle of her chest and detonating. Bits of hobgoblin and rings of chainmail spray across the corridor behind her.
Katernin's breathing becomes more regular.

Kerrigan is at 0hp.
The left hobgoblin has been utterly obliterated.
The right hobgoblin has taken 4 damage.
Katernin is at 0hp and has succeeded on one death save.

Modigar
2015-05-23, 08:14 AM
"****!" After this...colourful... exclamation, Andrea slings a ball of eldritch force at the hobgoblin still standing, transferring her Hex to it as she does so.

[roll0] [roll1] [roll2]

MenhirRocksolid
2015-05-23, 10:04 AM
Gunthar yells in Goblin at the remaining Hobgoblin: Don't you dare touch my harem again and face me instead! and rushes in to smash him with a staff while quickly mumbling some words alone the lines of "rise Katernin, Phyton commands it!

Attack [roll0], damage [roll1]
Healing word on Katernin: [roll2]

Dhavaer
2015-05-23, 07:15 PM
Gunthar calls divine fire onto the hobgoblin again, but this time the archer is ready and dodges the spell. Katernin's eyes open
The dodging spoils the hobgoblin's aim, however, and his arrow misses Gunthar.
Andrea's blast strikes the wall next to the hobgoblin, showering him with stone fragments but doing no harm.
Katernin climbs to her feet and staggers towards the hobgoblin, casting a spell. Fire leaps from her hand and engulf's the hobgoblin, setting his beard alight. He goes down screaming.

Kerrigan is at 0hp (Needs to make death saves).
The hobgoblins are both dead.
Katernin is at 7hp.

The room is furnished with old, rotting wooden tables bearing rusty old tools. Rain falls in through the shaft in the ceiling the hobgoblin's entered through down a dangling rope. It looks climbable, at least if it were not so wet. The water is flowing out through a drain in the floor and has not managed to wash away the dark, red-brown stains around it. The corridor continues on the other side of the room. Gunthar can see a room at its end, and another, narrower passage on the right.

MenhirRocksolid
2015-05-24, 02:22 AM
Durnit... I'm all out of vegetable juice...

Tries to help stabilize Kerrigan: Healing check?: [roll0]

Dhavaer
2015-05-24, 03:02 AM
Kerrigan's breathing steadies. She is stable and out of immediate danger.

Modigar
2015-05-24, 03:02 AM
Once he has finished treating Kerrigan, Andrea turns to Gunthar with one eyebrow raised, and aks: "What kind of language was that?"

Dhavaer
2015-05-24, 04:20 AM
Katernin takes the sheath from her back and put away her greatsword as she walks over to Kerrigan. "Perhaps we should get back to the entrance hall and away from the rain ." she says as she picks up the swashbuckler.

Dhavaer
2015-05-25, 04:06 PM
The storm persists through the hour, though you can hear the thunder moving steadily away. Nothing follows you out of the depths and you are able to rest peacefully.

Gunthar successfully attunes to his glowing pearl, allowing him to siphon power from it (take an action, replenish 1 spell point).
Kerrigan recovers enough to continue on (heals 5hp).
Katernin recovers (heals 10hp).

MenhirRocksolid
2015-05-25, 04:40 PM
Once he has finished treating Kerrigan, Andrea turns to Gunthar with one eyebrow raised, and aks: "What kind of language was that?"

Oh, that was just some basic goblin where I tried explaining the goblin he should not be harassing women but me instead. I guess I was not that convincing after whatever it was you did to make that other goblin explode...

Modigar
2015-05-26, 03:09 AM
Andrea smirks. "Well, sorry that me hitting a hobgoblin so hard it exploded made it harder for you to persuade the other one that women aren't dangerous."

-Jynx-
2015-05-26, 05:38 AM
Kerrigan swears to herself and spits a bit of blood at the floor. Her eyes belie malicious intent.

MenhirRocksolid
2015-05-26, 04:37 PM
Andrea smirks. "Well, sorry that me hitting a hobgoblin so hard it exploded made it harder for you to persuade the other one that women aren't dangerous."

You're indeed kind of challenging my own many presumptions as well.

Modigar
2015-05-27, 09:23 AM
"You think that, as a general rule, women are less dangerous?" She grins. "I thought you priestly types were supposed to be wise or something."

MenhirRocksolid
2015-05-27, 02:36 PM
Well, usually they kill you slowly by nagging your head off. You at least make it quick and decisive.

Modigar
2015-05-27, 02:55 PM
"You are surrounded by women who are better at killing, and better at getting it done quickly, than you are. And you make cracks about how women kill slowly by nagging. With the wisdom you're showing I'm surprised you haven't jumped off a cliff or set yourself on fire."

-Jynx-
2015-05-27, 04:06 PM
After some rest Kerrigan regains some of her strength. Watching as Gunther and Andrea bicker she chimes in "Let him be Andrea, you're as likely to change a mans mind as you are the seas" she slowly gets to her feet "In any event we should keep moving" she says a small bit of exhaustion in her voice still.

MenhirRocksolid
2015-05-28, 05:59 PM
"You are surrounded by women who are better at killing, and better at getting it done quickly, than you are. And you make cracks about how women kill slowly by nagging. With the wisdom you're showing I'm surprised you haven't jumped off a cliff or set yourself on fire."

Better at it than me? Well, you might have me at a disadvantage at range, but in melee I'll outlast you with my wooden stick

Modigar
2015-05-29, 03:58 AM
Adrianna smirks. "I find it unlikely that you can outlast anyone. But Kerrigan's right, we should keep moving, we have better things to do than stand here discussing your idiocy and lack of stamina."

MenhirRocksolid
2015-05-30, 09:40 AM
Keep moving before we search these two goblins? That kind of sounds even more foolish to me...

Dhavaer
2015-05-30, 10:22 PM
Back in the drain chamber, the fallen hobgoblins have little on them besides their thoroughly scorched or exploded equipment. Searching the remains turns up 8 copper coins. The light of the torch barely reaches the turn to the right, and shows no wall ending the main corridor.

-Jynx-
2015-05-31, 06:51 AM
Kerrigan stares at the paths a moment "Suppose we should go right mates?" She says moving in its direction "Paths too narrow for us to be shoulder to shoulder. Katernin care to lead us lass?"

Katernin(Front bun) - Kerrigan(The meat) - Andrea(Cheese lettuce and tomato) - Gunther(Rear bun)

MenhirRocksolid
2015-05-31, 09:19 AM
Oh well, just please don't get yourself killed again, unless you'd like mouth to mouth resuscitation again.

Dhavaer
2015-05-31, 12:59 PM
The long, thin corridor is far dustier than the rest of the dungeon. When you are about halfway down it, you see a room at the end, with some large, vaguely round lumps visible inside. Katernin approaches the doorway cautiously, then flinches back as she attempts to step inside. She doesn't manage to move back, though; something in the doorway is restraining her, visible only as a shimmer when she moves. "I'm stuck! Spider!" she yells, looking around the corner.

Initiative!

Spider: [roll0]

The spider is not currently visible, but the webbing is. Also, who is holding the torch? Katernin's sword needs both hands.

MenhirRocksolid
2015-05-31, 02:10 PM

I'm furthermore assuming Andrea is carrying the torch.

Modigar
2015-05-31, 04:42 PM
Initiative: [roll0] Cast Hex on spider, attack: [roll1] Damage: [roll2] [roll3]
Crit, add all of 3 damage for a total of 11.

-Jynx-
2015-05-31, 05:48 PM
Kerrigan's eyes narrow, drawing her sword. "****ing spiders now!? Watch yer arms Katernin I'll try and cut ya out!" She yelled as she stepped forward.

I'll actually have the torch since my rapier only takes one hand and it puts light further up for Katernins eyes.

If my initiative is before the spider, I attempt to cut the webbing around Katernin. (Not sure if you need a roll for that? I'd obviously just swing to her side where the webbing ought to be but if you need an attack roll then [roll1] + Dmg [roll2]

If it is after the spider than I attack the spider using the above rolls (so I'm not double rolling) but adding [roll3] sneak attack damage.

Dhavaer
2015-05-31, 10:45 PM
The detonation of Andrea's blast shakes the webbing loose and Katernin is freed.
Katernin steps into the room and out of sight; there is the whoosh of a swinging sword and a chitinous cracking sound.

The spider has taken 13 damage.

MenhirRocksolid
2015-06-01, 02:44 AM
Gunthar moves forward and if he sees the spider with his darkvision he'll try to burn it (ref 13, for [roll0] damage.

Modigar
2015-06-01, 12:21 PM
Andrea charges up another eldritch blast in her hand, before hurling it towards the spider. "Bloody spiders...
Attack: [roll0] Damage: [roll1] [roll2]
So three damage, truly the dice have turned =P

Dhavaer
2015-06-01, 05:10 PM
The spider skitters away form Gunthar's divine flame.
Kerrigan rushes in and skewers the spider through one of its eyes, eliciting a terrible shriek.
The spider leaps forward and plunges its fangs into Katernin's leg. The wound sizzles with venom.
Andrea's blast further splits open the massive sword wound in the spider's carapace, and it collapses.

Katernin has 1hp remaining.

Aside from the dead spider, there are a few cocooned corpses lying about the room, and little else.

MenhirRocksolid
2015-06-01, 06:22 PM
I suggest we no longer put Katernin up in front for the time being...

Dhavaer
2015-06-01, 06:57 PM
"Motion sustained," Katernin rasps out, sitting down and squeezing her wounded leg. "Whoever made this armour had better hope I never find them."

-Jynx-
2015-06-01, 07:33 PM
Kerrigan pulls out her dagger and begins opening the cocoons to see what and who may be inside. "Should a just taken our chances with the damned storm..." she muttered as she went to work. "I'll take point I guess mates..."

Dhavaer
2015-06-01, 08:40 PM
Kerrigan finds only bones and scraps of armour in the first cocoon; probably hobgoblin by the size. The second contains the same, but also a broad leather belt, studded with bronze. It's in oddly good condition and gives the peculiar impression of being both weightless and extremely heavy.

MenhirRocksolid
2015-06-02, 02:37 AM
"I'll take point I guess mates..."

Are you sure you should be in the front? I'll be all over you again before you know it. Better to let me up front this time as I'm all out of healing anyhow. I can furthermore see in the dark and it will take more than one blow to take me out cold, that is, if they manage to land one.

-Jynx-
2015-06-02, 06:54 AM
"As you wish lil' lord, I won't stop you" she says a bit of relief in her voice as she rummages through the cocoons. Upon finding the belt her eyes widen a moment "And what do we have here?" she says trying the belt on a moment to see what's so special about it "Found a belt mates. Looks very...pristine givin' it's circumstance."

MenhirRocksolid
2015-06-02, 04:41 PM
Well at least you have your priorities straight. Wanna try it on to see what it does? Or are ye scared it might be one of them cursed gender changing belts... ?

Dhavaer
2015-06-02, 04:45 PM
The belt shrinks down slightly as Kerrigan puts it on. The buckles slide closed as if greased and stay closed as if welded, until she tries to remove it and they slip off just as easily. There's power there, something physical, but just out of reach for now.

-Jynx-
2015-06-02, 08:21 PM
"For your sake, lets hope it ain't a gender changing belt lil lord, hate to have to show up yer manhood" she says with a chuckle as she watches the belt constrict to her form. "Guess we may as well bring this along with us too eh? I don't know a ton about this magic stuff but maybe we can figure it out when we're outta this damned place... care to lead the way lil lord?" she says motioning onward.

MenhirRocksolid
2015-06-03, 02:32 AM
As you wish, sir.

Dhavaer
2015-06-03, 03:37 AM
From the doorway of the room at the corridor's end, you can see an immense corpse lying in state on a stone table in the centre of the room. The body is of a bugbear, dressed in rotting armour. The corpse itself is surprisingly well preserved, but the sword laid along its chest is even better; untouched by rust and gleaming in the torchlight as though freshly polished.

Modigar
2015-06-03, 04:55 AM
"So... who wants to bet that's a trap?"

-Jynx-
2015-06-03, 06:24 AM
Kerrigan pulls out a knife and throws it at the corpse. "Lets find out..."

Hit:[roll0]
Dmg:[roll1]

MenhirRocksolid
2015-06-03, 06:41 AM
Next time, let miss anger issues fire at it from a safer distance...

Dhavaer
2015-06-03, 06:44 AM
Kerrigan's dagger bounces off the stone table, and the corpse stirs, slowing rising from the table.

Initiative!
The Dark Knight: [roll0]

Modigar
2015-06-03, 08:23 AM
"Called it!" Andrea switches her Hex to this new threat and throws a quick eldritch blast at her target.

Initiative: [roll0] attack: [roll1] damage: [roll2] [roll3]

MenhirRocksolid
2015-06-03, 10:20 AM

-Jynx-
2015-06-03, 04:30 PM
Kerrigan grumbles to herself "Everything in the ****ing nine hells is here to kill us apparently" as she pulls out her rapier.

[roll0]
If Kerrigan goes before the creature she throws some ball bearings on the ground first (DC10 Dex or fall prone)

If she goes after the creature she attacks with
hit [roll1]
dmg [roll2] + [roll3]

Dhavaer
2015-06-03, 06:27 PM
Andrea's blast is deflected by the knight's armour.
Katernin draws and hurls a handaxe but her wounded leg gives way, spoiling her throw. "I don't think I'm in a state to tangle with that sword at the moment," she mutters, and backs away down the corridor.
The dark knight shambles away from its table towards Gunthar, raising its shining sword. The blow is clumsy, however, and he easily avoids it.

MenhirRocksolid
2015-06-04, 02:30 AM
Ugh, this one smells even worse than the plebs down in Hommlet...

Attack with Stick: [roll0]

Dhavaer
2015-06-04, 03:37 AM
Gunthar's staff cracks against the knight's leg, breaking the armour and dislodging a lump of rotten flesh.
Kerrigan's sword punctures a tendon, loosening decaying muscle.

The knight has taken 18 damage.

-Jynx-
2015-06-04, 06:32 AM
Kerrigan continues swinging, hoping to find purchase.

Hit [roll]1d20+5[roll]
Dmg [roll0] + [roll1]

MenhirRocksolid
2015-06-04, 09:17 AM
Yech, I'll really need a wash after this one...

Modigar
2015-06-04, 04:00 PM
"Just die already!
Attack: [roll0] Damage: [roll1] [roll2]

Dhavaer
2015-06-04, 04:18 PM
Andrea's blast catches the knight in the chest. The explosion showers the room behind it with rotting viscera.
Katernin draws and hurls another axe, striking the knight in the face. The knight stills for a moment before springing to unlife again.
The knight swings its sword at Kerrigan, who easily dodges the clumsy blow.
Gunthar's staff splatters more of the knight's leg, and again it stills for a moment, only to begin moving again.
Kerrigan's rapier pierces the knight's skin, only to find a hollow beneath.

The knight has taken 39 damage.

-Jynx-
2015-06-04, 04:36 PM
Kerrigan pivots for another attack but instead of words she just scream guttural noises.

[roll0]
[roll1] + [roll2]

Modigar
2015-06-04, 04:45 PM
Andrea hurls yet another arcane blast at the dark knight.

[roll0] [roll1] [roll2]

MenhirRocksolid
2015-06-04, 04:45 PM
Bah! I'm going back out there after this for a shower in the rain! Wearing only my beard!

Dhavaer
2015-06-04, 05:02 PM
Andrea's blast strikes the knight in its new chest hole, peppering the far wall with vertebrae. It finally falls.

-Jynx-
2015-06-04, 06:20 PM
Kerrigan immediately walks up to her thrown dagger, grabs it and begins eviscerating the corpse "AND ****ING STAY DEAD" she screams continuing to stab at the body for a minute.

Modigar
2015-06-05, 04:46 AM
Andrea walks over to Kerrigan and puts a hand on her shoulder. "It's stopped moving and I don't think it'll be doing much more now."

MenhirRocksolid
2015-06-05, 09:59 AM
Please stop making the smell worse in here. If I had them with me, I'd be giving you a mop and a bucket of water...

-Jynx-
2015-06-05, 06:28 PM
Kerrigan still adrenaline drunk from the stabbing turns and eyes Gunther "You'll make me do nothing lil lord" she says rising up and putting her knife away. With a more satisfied sigh she grabs the longsword by the corpse and walks over to Katernin "Dunno if you fancy yourself a new weapon lass, but why not give this a try?"

Dhavaer
2015-06-05, 08:26 PM
Katernin accepts the sword and makes a few swings with it. "Not bad. Could come in handy if I need a free han- gah! Her foot tries to slide out from under her. She regains her balance and stoops down to pick something up from the floor. "Huh. There's coins under all this dust. Watch your step."

-Jynx-
2015-06-05, 08:56 PM
"Well would ye look at that! Nicely done lass" Kerrigan says bending down to examine the floor (and room) more closely, collecting what she can find. After a bit of scrounging Kerrigan turns to the group "Shall we continue then?"

Dhavaer
2015-06-05, 11:14 PM
An extensive search turns up 250 gold coins scattered about the floor around the stone table.

-Jynx-
2015-06-06, 06:45 AM
Kerrigan passes out 62 gold to everyone "Well lets get goin' then!"

MenhirRocksolid
2015-06-06, 06:56 AM
There is no stopping you is there?

-Jynx-
2015-06-06, 07:10 AM
"Not when there is loot to be had!" she says her grin returning once more to her face.

Dhavaer
2015-06-06, 05:16 PM
The storm moves on in the night and by morning there is only drizzle. There's even some blue sky in the distance.

MenhirRocksolid
2015-06-07, 11:04 AM
Gunthar has in the meantime taken a shower, dried up all of his gear while letting those who mocked him continue to soak in whatever mold-infested gear they were wearing.

Modigar
2015-06-07, 12:23 PM
Andrea takes up much space beside the campfire until her clothing has dried properly, at which point she uses her own cantrips to cleanse them.

-Jynx-
2015-06-07, 12:48 PM
Kerrigan hands the lifting belt to Katernin "Brute strength isn't much my forte, may as well give this to someone who can benefit from it the most" she spends the rest of her time by the campfire cleaning her rapier and tending to her wounds.

Dhavaer
2015-06-07, 07:18 PM
Katernin replaces her armour's belt with the magic one.

-Jynx-
2015-06-07, 08:22 PM
Kerrigan hands the ring over to Andrea as well. "Bah all this magic loot and none of it suites my fancy"

Modigar
2015-06-08, 05:53 AM
Andrea slips the ring onto her finger. "Well, at least if we run into any friendly giants I can be polite before suggesting we run away anyway."

-Jynx-
2015-06-08, 06:25 PM
(After we rest and chit chat) Kerrigan stands to her feet, a bit more vigor in her voice and says "What's the plan now mates?"

MenhirRocksolid
2015-06-08, 07:56 PM
Well, how about we continue towards where we were planning on heading?

Dhavaer
2015-06-09, 02:41 AM
The drizzle stops after a few hours walking. Around midday a caravan train comes along the road in the opposite direction, and further down the road there are bloodhawk corpses on either side of the road; apparently an unwise flock had attacked them. You reach Oakhurst not long before sundown. It's not much of a place, just a few larger buildings lining the road surrounded by pastures. Passing an inn marked with a sign showing a grey and wrinkled boar, you see on your left a second, older road, leading off into the hills to the south-west.

Modigar
2015-06-09, 06:16 AM
"About time, yeah. Let's go."

MenhirRocksolid
2015-06-09, 01:05 PM
The food can't be much worse here than in the previous inn...

-Jynx-
2015-06-09, 05:43 PM
"Aye, shall we stop at the inn then or continue onward?"

Dhavaer
2015-06-09, 05:46 PM
There are a few loaded wagons in the inn's yard and most of the patrons inside can be readily identified as either owning them or guarding them. The barman nods at you as you enter and, placing you as neither merchants nor merchant-adjacent, says, "Welcome to Oakhurst. You have business in town, or just passing through?"

MenhirRocksolid
2015-06-09, 07:02 PM
Oh we mean business alright, starting with your best ale, and perhaps some wild boar?

Modigar
2015-06-10, 03:24 PM
"Wild boar seems a bit much, but a half-decent drink and something I can stomach to eat wouldn't go amiss."

Dhavaer
2015-06-10, 06:02 PM
"Can't do much in the way of meat, I'm afraid," the barkeep says. "Hunting's been bad lately, I'm told, and the cows haven't been doing well either. Cornbread and cheese is what we've got. A good drink, on the other hand, that I can help you with. You need rooms too?"

-Jynx-
2015-06-10, 11:36 PM
"Ugh reduced to grass and bread..." Kerrigan mumbles "But at least there's ale... gimmie two then aye!? Suppose we be needing room too." After receiving her drink and taking her seat Kerrigan takes a few large swigs of ale. Life flows through Kerrigan once more, easing the pirates demeanor "So what be the word around 'ere?"

MenhirRocksolid
2015-06-11, 02:21 AM
What is up with them cows then? And why don't you have some porkers oinking around?

Dhavaer
2015-06-11, 07:08 AM
"Word's mostly bad these days, I'm afraid," the barkeep says. "All well if you're just passing through, or staying in town, nothing to worry about on that score. The hunters've been having trouble in the woods along the old road, though, and the herders much the same in the farther fields. Of course there's usually something - blood hawks or giant weasels or the like - but not like this. Go along the old road out of sight of town in a group of less than half-a-dozen and you won't be coming back. No one's seen what does it, either; when they find bodies it looks like someone's peppered them with a crossbow and then taken the bolts. Nasty stuff, and you can't hunt in big groups like that, hence our meat shortage. You'd scare all the critters away."

As he talks he takes the money - five silver each - and passes out food and drink. The ale is pale, thick and sweet. The bread is a little dry, but the cheese is rich and creamy.

Modigar
2015-06-11, 02:29 PM
"'Go with half a dozen mates or you won't be coming back', eh? Sounds like a challenge to me. You lot interested?"

-Jynx-
2015-06-11, 05:37 PM
"'Go with half a dozen mates or you won't be coming back', eh? Sounds like a challenge to me. You lot interested?"

Kerrigans gaze shifts from Andrea to the barkeep. "Be there a bounty or something for fixin' yer problem? I don't fancy riskin' my life for free after all" she takes another heavy swig of ale

Dhavaer
2015-06-11, 06:27 PM
"Funny you should mention a bounty," the barkeep says. "You heard of the Sunless Citadel? It's a ruin down in a chasm along the Old Road; might take you three or four hours to walk there. About a month back, not long after all this started, a few people thought the cause might be down in there. Maybe they were right, but we haven't seen them since. Two of them, Sharwyn and Talgen, were locals, the niece and nephew of Kerowyn Hucrele - she runs a bunch of caravans that go along the New Road, you might have passed one. She wants them back, of course, and I believe she's set a bounty. I don't know the details, but I could have someone run across to her house and tell her you'll be calling on her in the morning?"

-Jynx-
2015-06-11, 09:50 PM
"Aye I say we do that. Perhaps that lass has more information on this sunless citadel or somethin'... whaddya think mates?"

MenhirRocksolid
2015-06-12, 03:38 AM
Sounds like a plan. Betting than getting bored with no boar in sight

Modigar
2015-06-12, 08:57 AM
"Sounds fun, I'm in."

Dhavaer
2015-06-12, 09:02 AM
"Great!" the barman says. "I'll have someone run over to Ms Hucrele's and tell her she'll have visitors in the morning. Oh, and here are your keys," he adds, handing them out. "Yours are the rooms at the end of the corridor. Best of luck with the Citadel!" He bustles off into the kitchen.

MenhirRocksolid
2015-06-12, 05:52 PM
*looks around for any nice dwarven lasses amongst the merchants*

-Jynx-
2015-06-12, 08:58 PM
Kerrigan finishes her ale "I'll be goin t'my room then mates. Night"

Modigar
2015-06-12, 09:26 PM
Andrea finishes hers more slowly, and it's not entirely clear if she's savouring it or struggling to stomach it. Finally, however, she finishes her drink. "That's me off as well, remember not to be too late, we have a visit to make tomorrow." That said, she disappears to sleep, seeming slightly unsteady as she walks away.

Dhavaer
2015-06-13, 02:30 AM
in the morning, after breakfast - porridge - the barkeep points you to the Hucrele house. It's just across the road from the inn; a large, sturdy house enclosed by a short stone wall topped by a wooden fence. On the front of the wall, by the gate, is a rope hanging from a bell.

MenhirRocksolid
2015-06-13, 02:41 AM
*Pulls the rope*

Dhavaer
2015-06-13, 05:07 AM
Soon after the bell rings a woman comes to the gate. After looking you over she says, "You're here to see Mistress Hucrele?" She unlocks the gate. "Follow me." She leads you inside, to the parlour, where a weathered old woman with a mass of red and grey hair awaits you.

"Tea?" Kerowyn offers, indicating a steaming pot on the table in front of her.

Modigar
2015-06-13, 05:57 AM
"No thanks, not a fan of tea to be honest." She takes a seat. "We're just here to speak to Ms Hucrele."

-Jynx-
2015-06-13, 06:12 AM
Kerrigan stares at the pot a moment "Where's the rum lass?" she asks as she slumps down into a seat, putting her feet up on any nearby ledge.

Dhavaer
2015-06-13, 07:06 AM
"I'm afraid I don't keep any; it's not to my taste. Far too early in the day for it in any case," Kerowyn says. "To business then. Garon tells me you've asked about the bounty. I want my niece and nephew back, Talgen and Sharwyn. They've been gone for a month, so I don't have high hopes of getting them back alive. As such I'll settle for the return of their signet rings and knowing what happened to them. The rings are gold; the symbol on the face is three arms curving out clockwise from a central point, with dots between the arms. I'll pay you one-hundred and twenty-five gold pieces each for the return of each ring. Double if by some miracle you bring them back alive. Any questions?"

MenhirRocksolid
2015-06-13, 12:20 PM
There were also others who headed towards Sunless Citadel together with them. Do you know anything about them? Or any any other kinds of rumors about the Sunless Citadell?

Dhavaer
2015-06-13, 07:00 PM
"There were two others with them, a human man named Braford and an elf, Karakas. I can't say I knew either of them long enough for much insight into their characters, though Braford gave the impression of being intensely honourable. The Citadel is currently inhabited by goblins. They used to be bandits, but about ten, fifteen years ago they settled down and even started trading a little. Every midsummer they sell us an apple, a magical apple that cures any sickness. They don't trade at any other time, so what they do with the gold I don't know, but apparently they want to preserve their income because they steal the saplings every time we plant the apple seeds. I suppose I can't blame them for wanting to maintain their monopoly."

MenhirRocksolid
2015-06-13, 08:36 PM
So I guess the rumors back home about magical fruit were true... Well I suppose that monopoly would be better off in the control of Grass Agricorp. A few hurt goblins along the way wont hurt us much, in fact, we just dispatched two of them just two days ago.

-Jynx-
2015-06-13, 08:57 PM
"What do these kids o' yers look like? Besides havin' a fancy ring" she loses herself in thought for a moment at the possibilities of magic ail-curing fruit.

Dhavaer
2015-06-13, 11:19 PM
"Sharwyn is red haired and pale, not exceptional in height or build. She was wearing a blue robe and had a staff when she left. Talgen took more after their mother; tall, brown skin and hair, quite broad. He wore chainmail and had a sword, shield and bow."

MenhirRocksolid
2015-06-14, 03:43 PM
Well, lets hope the Goblins appreciate red haired females or even better, have put them both to use as slaves. Otherwise, chances are likely slim indeed. At least we have a proper casus belli for invading them.

Dhavaer
2015-06-15, 06:40 AM
The Old Road was clearly once a prosperous trading route, so wide that even after decades of near-abandonment the forest it enters past the last of Oakhurst's pastures has not yet reclaimed it. The road soon curves out of sight of the town. It would be a pleasant walk, the road shaded by the overhanging canopy, if not for the peculiar quietness of the forest. There should be more birdsong, more rustling in the bushes as animals note your approach and flee. There is nothing louder than your footsteps, the wind in the branches and the clattering of your equipment.

There is no warning when four strange creatures - halfling-sized effigies formed of thin, twisted branches - emerge from the undergrowth, two on either side. Behind you, four more are on the road, cutting off your retreat.

Roll for initiative!
Blights: [roll0]

There are two blights ten feet in front and to your left, and two in front and to your right. There are four directly behind you, twenty feet away.

MenhirRocksolid
2015-06-15, 09:33 AM

MenhirRocksolid
2015-06-15, 09:37 AM
Clear out the sons of shrubbery in front of us so Andrea can retreat to the front and that we don't get surrounded!

+3 damage from crit, naturally kill one of the weeds in front of me after a move. (the rightmost, as I assume the leftmost in front of me has been turned into splinters by Andrea).

Modigar
2015-06-15, 04:36 PM
Initiative: Hex on the leftmost, Attack: [roll1] Damage: [roll]1d10 [roll2]

Messed up damage roll, rolled the d10 here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?414424-5e-Sunless-Citadel&p=19404536#post19404536), totals to 10 damage dealt

Heeding Gunthar's suggestion, Andrea immediately focuses her wrath upon the leftmost of the adversaries before her.

-Jynx-
2015-06-15, 06:41 PM
initiative: [roll0]
Attack: [roll1]
Dmg: [roll2] + [roll3]

Kerrigan grips her rapier and lunges at a nearby blight "Oh now giant weeds think they can fell us!?"

Dhavaer
2015-06-16, 01:51 AM
Andrea, Kerrigan and Gunthar all blast, bash and stab their opponents, leaving them a pile of twisted twigs. Only Katernin's opponent is able to dodge. It swipes at her with thorny claws and is deflected by her armour. The other four blights rush up from behind.

MenhirRocksolid
2015-06-16, 05:46 AM
Gunthar rushes towards the nearest supplier of kindling. Yield before the power of the lord of wood!

Modigar
2015-06-16, 03:30 PM
Andrea moves in towards Katernin, throwing a blast of force at her opponent as she does so.

Transfer Hex to this target, attack: [roll0] Damage: [roll1] [roll2]

Dhavaer
2015-06-16, 04:31 PM
Andrea's blast destroys last of the blights in front. Katernin turns to confront the ones behind and smashes one down with her sword. Gunthar's staff crushes a second.

Two blights left.

-Jynx-
2015-06-16, 06:51 PM
Kerrigan continues her swings at the next closest blight

[roll0]
[roll1] + [roll2]

Dhavaer
2015-06-16, 07:44 PM
Kerrigan's rapier harmless slips between the blight's branches. The blights claw at Kerrigan and Katernin. Kerrigan dodges one easily, while other's claws scrape harmlessly on Katernin's armour.

-Jynx-
2015-06-16, 09:58 PM
[roll0]
[roll1] + [roll2]

Modigar
2015-06-17, 12:19 AM
Andrea turns around and takes a shot at the so far unharmed survivor.

Okay, transfer hex, attack: [roll0] damage: [roll1] [roll2]

Dhavaer
2015-06-17, 01:30 AM
Andrea's blast overshoots the blight and destroys a patch of grass encroaching on the road. Katernin smashes another blight.

MenhirRocksolid
2015-06-17, 02:44 AM
Says a soft prayer for the grass and continues to smash up the twigs:

Dhavaer
2015-06-17, 03:21 AM
The last blight hops away from Gunthar's staff, right into the path of Kerrigan's rapier. The road is now littered with anonymous piles of kindling.

MenhirRocksolid
2015-06-17, 03:50 AM
Gunthar takes a few twigs to keep and and then proceeds to gather the rest of the twigs to make a nice pyre.

-Jynx-
2015-06-17, 10:00 PM
Kerrigan rummages through the body to see if there is any loot.

Dhavaer
2015-06-18, 03:12 AM
The branches look like they will burn reasonably well once dried, but have no other apparent value.

Dhavaer
2015-06-18, 05:34 AM
The Old Road passes to the east of a narrow ravine. At the road's closest approach to the cleft, several broken pillars jut from the earth and the ravine widens into something more like a canyon. Two pillars stand straight, but most lean at awkward angles. A few are broken, and similar pillars are visible on the other side of the ravine. A rope is tied to two pillars and dangles down into the ravine.

MenhirRocksolid
2015-06-18, 09:11 AM
Gunthar stops casually and then says against his companions: Somehow, I'm thinking this is a goblin trap...

-Jynx-
2015-06-18, 05:28 PM
"Perhaps we should stagger ourselves and look to see of we be alone" she says scanning the area.

Don't know if we're close enough to see anything unusual but here goes nothing
[roll0]

Dhavaer
2015-06-18, 05:44 PM
The pillars have some goblin graffiti on them; Gunthar recognises them as warnings and threats to trespassers. The rope hangs down fifty feet to a sandy ledge protruding from the ravine wall. It looks to have been there a month or less. There are also handholds carved into the rock, which are older and weathered. It's hard to tell from this angle and distance, but there might be stairs going down on the far side of the ledge.

Modigar
2015-06-18, 06:46 PM
"Well... I'm sure as hell not going down first. Anyone volunteering?"

MenhirRocksolid
2015-06-19, 06:40 AM
Andrea, I suggest you just blast down all the pillars with goblin tracks on them or with suspiciously placed boulders from a safe distance, to see what comes falling down. I'll just relax and enjoy your show.

-Jynx-
2015-06-20, 09:39 AM
Kerrigan crouches down for a moment "That'll take too long mates, if there be something waiting for us I wager shootin' wildly won't help out cause" and with that she rushes to the ropes and begins descending as fast as she can.

Acrobatics Check: [roll0]

The moment her feet hit the ground she breaks into a sprint toward and down the stairs.

MenhirRocksolid
2015-06-20, 01:07 PM
Gunthar shakes his head.Oh well, at least plenty of suitable tombstones around here if things go wrong...

Modigar
2015-06-20, 01:15 PM
"Well, that's hardly a happy take on things is it? I'm sure she'll be fine."

Dhavaer
2015-06-20, 05:51 PM
Kerrigan makes it safely to the ledge and then to the stairs. The stairs abruptly stop at a landing fifteen feet on and she checks her momentum just in time to avoid going over the edge. A second set of stairs goes down from the landing in the opposite direction and she continues down.
For their vantage point outside the ravine, the others see a trio of giant rats emerge from crevices in the wall and follow her down.

Initiative!
Rats: [roll0]

Kerrigan is out of sight from the top of the ravine. One rat is visible and another has half cover. The lead rat is ten feet behind Kerrigan as the stairs go, but because the stairs are switchback they are within each others reach with half-cover from the stairs.

-Jynx-
2015-06-20, 09:36 PM
[roll0]
If Kerrigan goes first, she is actually going to keep running. Double move + Bonus action dash (as I assume 90ft is faster than they can run? If not or if Kerrigan doesn't think she can outrun them then I'll procede too...)

If Kerrigan loses initiative she attacks with:
[roll1]
[roll2]

MenhirRocksolid
2015-06-21, 10:57 AM
Initiative: [roll0] . What is our distance from rats?

Modigar
2015-06-21, 11:37 AM

Dhavaer
2015-06-21, 05:50 PM
Katernin steps off the side of the ravine and touches her greatsword's hilt as she whispers a spell. She floats gently down to the ledge, pulls an axe from her belt and hurls it at the trailing rat. The impact propels it off the stairs and into the abyss below.

Modigar
2015-06-23, 09:03 AM
Andrea glares at the rats attacking her comrade, and, charging a bolt of eldritch powerful more potent than any yet, she strikes.

[roll0] [roll1] [roll2]
Oh, and I forgot, 10ft knockback if it hits

Dhavaer
2015-06-23, 04:15 PM
Andrea's bolt explodes a rat, sending the pieces flying down into the ravine.
Kerrigan continues down the stairs, avoiding falling off two more switchbacks and getting halfway down a longer staircase leading into the Citadel itself.
The remaining rat follows her down, making it to the end of the previous set of stairs. It is out of sight from the others.

-Jynx-
2015-06-23, 08:49 PM
Kerrigan then whirls around to face the rat trailing her.

[roll0]
[roll1]

MenhirRocksolid
2015-06-24, 05:45 AM
Gunthar huffs and puffs towards Kerrigan but likely does little of consequence.