PDA

View Full Version : LGBTAI+ LGBTAI+ #56: Prismatic Spray!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Lentrax
2015-06-26, 04:07 PM
http://www.GiantITP.com/Images/gitpkick/PrismaticSpray.png

Dear Giant,

Please let us know if reposting this image here was alright. If It isn't I will happily take it down.

But thank you so much for the drawing, I know it means a lot to all of us.

Sincerely,
The members of the LGBTAI+ threads.

Welcome to the 56th iteration of the LGBTAI thread!

Notice: This is mostly a support thread. There is an LGBTAI+ Q&A Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?386745-LGBTAI-Questions-and-Discussion-thread-II-Make-It-Double&p=18487367#post18487367) right here.

The AI is for All-Inclusive because we have only so much space in the title, but everyone, regardless of orientation, direction, letter, acronym or chosen astrological symbol is welcome here!

We do, unfortunately, have a few rules. We are not an anarchist state! Or, we weren't until we voted we were? But shush.

1. We are primarily a support thread.
This means that the primary focus should be in helping people here feel better; about themselves, about their lives, about their problems. We are also an education thread, but when helping someone learn involves not supporting, we will default to support - Mostly. We are only mostly human, after all.

All of the other rules are basically precisions of rule #1.

2. If you want answers to triggering topics, spoiler-box or ask them privately.
Triggering topics are those which are likely to make other people feel bad, in any way whatsoever: for instance, rape, violence, bullying and many others may be triggering to some people. If someone, even just that one individual person, has a problem with a topic because it stirs demons best left in their pit, Do. Not. Bring. It. Up. Publicly. Use a spoiler box and think carefully about whether this is the place to broach the topic at all (see rule #1: "We are primarily a support thread.")

If you have questions or need help on something that involves triggering topics, please use spoiler tags and label your spoilers for trigger warnings. When in doubt, put trigger warnings.

3. Avoid discussing politics or religion.
It doesn't matter how much these two topics intersect with our forum topic, they are verboten. Sometimes, hints are...looked over, such as, "Man, in my country being gay sucks," but detail is right out, and even that could be considered willful disregard. Be careful. As the moderators themselves often say, if you aren't sure, don't.

4. Do not discuss moral justification.
No one here is going to discuss whether or not it's Right" or "Okay" to be LGBTAEIOUsometimesY or anything else. It's not topical, it's not relevant. We are, and we are here to cope with that and with the stresses it causes.
And no, my joking acronym doesn't constitute considering this rule less important.

5. Do not post sexually explicit content.
It's against forum rules, it's against decorum, and it will get us shut down pretty fast. What adults do behind closed doors is cool, and allusion is fine. Anything that could involve a diagram, though? No.

6. Avoid unfriendly debates.
Several topics of conversation have created huge arguments that made several people uncomfortable and defied our goal of being a support thread. This is especially true debates of definition. These do not always end well, and are best avoided.

Fight Club, AKA things we do not talk about.
This thread has a past of traumatic experiences which we would rather not repeat, and some topics which have created (in)famous rows include:
- The precise distinction between bi- and pansexual;
- What is or isn't a polyamorous relationship;
- Whether transgender is more correct than transgendered.
- Whether people who have homosexual sex should be able to give blood.
(Other topics may be added to the list.)
Unless you need support or help about this, please refrain from bringing up these topics.

Also, if a conversation that is not about support runs long, spoiler it if possible, even if it is polite.

Glossary of Common Terms

For reference, here is a list of commonly-used words in our community along with their definitions. Please keep in mind that this vocabulary is constantly evolving and that this list may not be complete. Any contributions to the list are appreciated.
LGBT: Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans*

LGBTAI: LGBT+Asexual/Aromantic/Agender+Intersex/All-Inclusive

QUILTBAG:
Q - Queer and Questioning
U - Unidentified
I - Intersex
L - Lesbian
T - Transgender/Transsexual
B - Bisexual
A - Asexual/Aromantic/Agender
G - Gay, Genderqueer

GSRM: Gender, Sexuality, and Romantic Minorities; sometimes only GSM

Where a word below is in italics, that means it has its own entry on the list.

A note on labels: many of these labels are seemingly interchangeable, and for some people they are. However, please do not presume to correct or judge another person's use of a label. Bisexual and pansexual are especially tricky in this regard, as are transgender and transsexual to a lesser degree.
Often the difference in why one person feels one label is appropriate and not another is deeply personal. If you wish to know more it is probably a topic to seek private advice on, from one of the people listed in the next section.

AFAB/AMAB: Assigned Female/Male at Birth.

Agender: Someone who lacks a gender.

Androgyne: Gender Identity with male and female aspects.

Androsexual: A person who is attracted to men.

Asexual: A person who does not feel sexual attraction.

Bigender: Someone who identifies as both male and female (or as any two genders) either simultaneously or alternating. See also Genderqueer, Genderfluid

Binary, The: See: Gender Binary.

Bisexual: 1. attracted to two genders; 2. attracted to one's own gender and another gender; 3. attracted to various genders; 4. attracted to people regardless of gender; 5. ask the person who says they're bi what exactly they mean by that. See also Pansexual

Cis: See: Cisgender

Cisgender (CG): Somebody whose gender and sex align.

Demisexual: A person who is sexually attracted to someone only after they have formed an intense emotional relationship with them.

Dysphoria: The etymological opposite of "euphoria." A state of unease or generalized dissatisfaction. In this context, generally referring to the discomfort or dissociation Trans* people feel with their own body.

Male-to-Female (MtF): Someone who was assigned male at birth, but is female. (AKA: trans woman)

Female: See: Woman

Female-to-Male (FtM): Someone who was assigned female at birth, but is male. (AKA: trans man)

FAAB: Female Assigned at Birth.

Feminine: Something generally associated by society with women.

FFS: Facial Feminization Surgery: Surgery to reduce chin/nose/cheekbones. Associated primarily with MAAB Trans people

FtM: See: Female to Male

Gay: See: homosexual.

Gender Binary: The commonly held notion that there are only men and women on two extremes, with nothing in between.

Gender Expression (GE): How one expresses their Gender Identity to society.

Gender Identity (GI): How one feels inside society's idea of "man, woman, or other".

Genderfluid: Someone who fluctuates between different genders.

Genderqueer (GQ): Someone who is not of a binary gender; someone who is neither male nor female.

Gynosexual: A person who is attracted to women.

Heterosexual: A person who is attracted to members of the opposite gender.

Homosexual: A person who is attracted to members of their own gender.

HRT: Hormone replacement therapy. MtF's tend to progesterone, estrogens and androgen blockers, while FtM's take testosterone almost exclusively.

Lesbian: A woman who is attracted to women.

MAAB: Male Assigned at Birth.

Male-to-Female (MtF): Someone who was assigned male at birth, but is female. (AKA: trans woman)

Man/men: A cis man or trans man. Male.

Masculine: Something generally associated by society with men.

Pansexual: A person who is attracted to people regardless of gender. See also Bisexual

Polyamorous: A person who is interested in a relationship with more than one person.

Presenting: Trans* shorthand for appearing as their preferred gender, regardless of any HRT, SRS or other changes.

Trans*: Transsexual and Transgender primarily, with the asterisk denoting that the trans- prefix could be followed by any number of appropriate words. It also includes other labels, and is a catch-all term for people who identify as something other than their biological sex at birth.

Transgender: Used in reference to a person whose sex(body) and gender(mind) are at odds or do not match. A transgender person can also identify as genderqueer, transsexual, or may use transgender as their only identity.

Transitioning: The process a Trans* person undergoes to move to their preferred gender. Often includes HRT, SRS, FFS.

Transsexual: In common terms the same as transgender above. In medical terms refers specifically to people who wish to transition from male to female or female to male, not accommodating any other options.

SRS: Sex Reassignment Surgery: Surgery to replace/transform a vagina into a penis, or vice versa. Mastectomies or plastic surgery may be used on breasts.

Sexual Orientation (SO): How one identifies who they are attracted to.

Significant Other(s) (SO): Person(s) you are in a relationship with.

Third-gendered: Someone who fits in a local society's third gender, usually male performing female tasks, occasionally vice versa. Also a person who feels they do not identify with any other gender identity.

Woman: A cis woman or trans woman. Female.

Allies: Heterosexual-Cisgender people who support equality for sexual, gender, and romantic minorities.

Private Consultation.

We have a list of people who are willing and able to discuss topics that may not be thread-appropriate but are still topical. They can be reached by Personal Message (PM), thought they may not respond immediately, or may be on sabbatical.

Don't be afraid to reach out and talk to them.

Many of us on the list are more than willing to listen to your questions or concerns and will not just lash out in hostility or anger.

Name: Especially familiar with the topic(s) of
Absol197: Gender identity issues.
Philemonite: Relationships, depression.
Astrella: GSRM rights, feminism, trans stuff, Skype.
Chess435: Skype.
Eirala: Trans stuff (esp emotional issues), Skype(no voice or video, however).
Eldest: General/basics, bisexuality, polyamory, pansexuality will Skype(voice if needed, no video).
Enrico Dandolo (Caroline): Trans stuff, mental health, feminism, asexuality, hugs, make-up advice. PM first, Skype chat if asked.
Golentan: Mental health, fluid and questioning sexualities, and issues arising from sexual trauma.
HMS Sophia: Trans stuff (esp hormones).
inuyasha: Shoulder on which to cry, someone to listen.
Irish Musician: PM, Rants/Venting.
KenderWizard: General/basics, gender and feminism, bisexuality.
Kesnit: Trans stuff (FtM), legal issues.
Lea Plath: Genderfluidity.
Lentrax: General/basics, depression, bullying.
Lix Lorn: General/basics.
Lycunadari: Genderqueer and agendered.
Metditto: PM/Skype for L, T, GQ, BDSM(Off-thread or Spoiler Triggered), demisexual, feminism, therapy, depression, dissociative identities.
Miraqariftsky: Family issues, transfolk issues, bullying, depression
Musashi: General/basics, asexuality/demisexuality, depression.
Mystic Muse: Skype-y goodness.
noparlpf: General/basics, asexuality, greysexuality, biology, Skype.
Partysan: PM/Skype, polyamory, pansexuality, BDSM(Off-thread or Spoiler Triggered), Rants/Venting.
Socratov: Skype-ness.
TaiLiu: General Transgender information, transphobia.
Warkitty: Academic/technical discussions, Make-up advice.
Wormwood74: Transgender legal issues, transgender outside contacts.

Some people are also willing to talk off-board, through Skype or email or other means; this is especially useful if your question involves board-forbidden topics such as religion or politics. Also, we can't (and ethically shouldn't!) give medical advice. If you need medical advice, please see a professional!

And as a parting note, I will say that even though moderators do not read PMs, they are still part of the forum and still subject to forums rules. Non-allowed topics and discussion should NOT be conducted via PM.

Previous Incarnations

Like the Glorious and Unconquered Sun, we have risen, lived, died, and risen anew, with many faces, many voices, many hearts. In this past, much can be found, both good, and bad, should one be brave or perhaps, foolish, enough to seek it.

LGBT people in the playground

LGBT people in the playground - part II

LGBTitp - part III

LGBTitp 4: We are a family?

LGBTitp - Part Five

LGBTitp - Part Six

LGBTitp - Part Seven

LGBTitp - Part Eight

LGBTitp - Part Nine

LGBTAitp - Part Ten

LGBTAitp - Part Eleven

LGBTAitp - Part Twelve

LGBTAitp - Part Thirteen

LGBTAitp - Part Fourteen

LGBTAitp - Part Fifteen

LGBTAitp - Part Sixteen

LGBTAitp - Part Seventeen

LGBTAitp - Part Eighteen!

LGBTAitp - Part Nineteen

LGBTAitp - Part Twenty - Critical Hit!

LGBTAitp - Part Twenty-One - BLACKJACK!

LGBTAitP Part 22: The Best There Is

LGBTAitP Part 23: Et tu, ~Bianca?

LGBTAitP: Alphabet Soup-with 24 different Vitamins!

LGBTAitP part 25: Doing Away With Subtitles

LGBTAitP 26: No Time For Snappy Titles

LGBTAitP 27: Of Shoes, and Ships, and Sealing Wax

LGBTAitP #28: Come Taste the Rainbow!

LGBTAitP #29: The Rainbow Outreach Program

LGBTAitP 30: Free Cuddles (Enquire Within)

LGBTAitP #31: Cuddles Are On Back Order. Have Some Snuggles!

LGBTAitp #32: The Great Plushie Invasion!

LGBTAitp #33: The Thread at the End of the Rainbow!

LGTAitP #34: <3!!

LGBTAitp #35: What Midlife Crisis? :3

LGBTAitp #36: May Contain Bites!

LGBTAitP #37: Once upon a time...

LGBTAitP #38: Once More With Feeling!!

LGBTAitP #38: Making Your Way in the World Today....

LGBTAitP #40: Technicolour Partyboat

LGBTAitp #41 - Imprecise Terminology Supercenter

LGBTAitp #42: Better Than Skittles/The Meaning of Life!

LGBTAitp #43 [Insert snappy subtitle here]

LGBTAIitP #44: Quick, We Need To Vote A New Title!

LGBTAIitP #45: Rainbow Anarchy

LGBTAitP #46: I Cast Prismatic Hugs

LGBTAIitp #47: Weather Control Central

LGBTAIitp #48: For a Cuddly Tomorrow!

LGBTAIitp #49: Please check all baggage before boarding the Rainbow Rail Road

LGBTAI+ #50: Warning: This Thread Has Exceeded its Maximum Awesome Level

LGBTAI+ 51: Lay That Hammer Down!

LGBTAI+ 52: Aces High

LGBTAI+ 53: The Nefarious Rainbow Syndicate

LGBTAI+ 54: A Full Deck

LGBTAI+ 55: AKA The Page We'll Get to if I Don't Make a New One

Webcomics that touch on... Well, everything related to the thread.
Venus Envy. (http://www.venusenvycomic.com/) Long dead webcomic. The creator has chosen not to continue it and move forward in life.
Rain. (http://rain.thecomicseries.com/comics/first/) A story of a MtF girl in high school.
Khaos Komix. (http://www.khaoskomix.com/)As the creator puts it(from his site): "A complete GLBTWTFBBQ comic about gender and sexuality. (Trigger warnings for EVERYTHING and nothing is safe for work.)"
Always Raining Here. (http://alwaysraininghere.com/index.php/first-page/) "Adrian is heartsick, Carter is horny. This is a story about their misadventures as awkward teenagers as they fumble through unrequited romances."
Tripping over you. (http://trippingoveryou.com/comic/gmorning-sunshine/)An awkward blind date leads to better options.
Questionable Content. (http://www.questionablecontent.net/) The LGBTA characters are fairly well done, and not stereotypes.
What's normal anyway. (http://whatsnormalanyway.net/?p=93) "What’s Normal Anyway? is a comic that discusses the trans male experience through the story of Mel, who takes the big risk of being himself and transitioning from female to male."
Princess. (http://the-princess.funonthe.net/) A webcomic.
Twokinds. (http://twokinds.keenspot.com/) Keveak: "It generally portrays GRSM matters positively and is quite a nice tale overall."
Misfile (Misfile.com) The Rose Dragon: "Ash is a young boy who, as a result of a screw-up in Heaven, gets stuck in a girl's body in a life he doesn't recognize, and has to deal with the changes and challenges of his new body while trying to get back his old life. Supernatural hijinks and car racing are involved."
Portside Stories (http://portsidestories.tumblr.com/) A cute(and recently started) webcomic.
El Goonish Shive (http://www.egscomics.com/) A long running webcomic, that I've heard often touches on lgbta relevant stuff.
Validation (http://www.validationcomic.com/) A Slice of Life webcomic focusing on Ally, a young transger woman, just living her life.
Wildflowers (http://wildflowers.smackjeeves.com/comics/1579765/ve-shoutout/) A self proclaimed triggering comic dealing with suicide, depression, dysphoria and more.

I know I missed a few webcomics, and if anyone finds more, feel free to PM them to me with a brief description, and I will add them.

Comrade
2015-06-26, 04:10 PM
That's a great image to kick the new thread off with!

Lissou
2015-06-26, 04:17 PM
So glad the Giant posted right before we created the new thread. Also glad you reposted the picture.

Congrats to all US Americans. I'm loving the picture. It's especially nice to see V and their mate holding hands despite the current reality of the comic.

For people not in the US, since it is a new thread it may be a good idea to explain it here: the US Supreme Court finally gave their decision about same-sex marriage, and it's now federally legal (although the US is weird and federal law and state law don't always match). What it means is that all states have to recognise marriages performed in other states and marriage licenses from other states, but if I followed correctly they're still not forced to issue marriage licenses themselves (please correct me if I'm wrong).

golentan
2015-06-26, 04:27 PM
So glad the Giant posted right before we created the new thread. Also glad you reposted the picture.

Congrats to all US Americans. I'm loving the picture. It's especially nice to see V and their mate holding hands despite the current reality of the comic.

For people not in the US, since it is a new thread it may be a good idea to explain it here: the US Supreme Court finally gave their decision about same-sex marriage, and it's now federally legal (although the US is weird and federal law and state law don't always match). What it means is that all states have to recognise marriages performed in other states and marriage licenses from other states, but if I followed correctly they're still not forced to issue marriage licenses themselves (please correct me if I'm wrong).

You are in fact wrong. All states must begin to issue marriage licenses to same sex couples ASAP, called out in the second paragraph of the ruling. :smallbiggrin:

Psyren
2015-06-26, 04:34 PM
Glad we finally got a FAQ on those conflicting RAW :smallbiggrin:

Country-wide errata issued?

The Giant
2015-06-26, 04:34 PM
I have no problem with the image being reposted.

Also, since I need to play the authority figure, too: Let's remember to keep discussion away from explicitly political topics while celebrating.

Coidzor
2015-06-26, 04:36 PM
You are in fact wrong. All states must begin to issue marriage licenses to same sex couples ASAP, called out in the second paragraph of the ruling. :smallbiggrin:

Not all of them are going to do so without having to be compelled to do so, of course, as news out of Texas and individual counties here and there seems to indicate.

But, all in all, good news.

CoffeeIncluded
2015-06-26, 04:40 PM
Just in case you guys were curious, I was in NYC today and decided to take a detour to Greenwich Village. I lost count of the number of rainbow flags, news media vehicles, and revelers of all ages, genders, and orientations. Additionally, everyone is making their way to the Stonewall Inn. The atmosphere is one of complete jubilation.

Ifni
2015-06-26, 04:40 PM
Yup. If I remember correctly, there used to be a law (the "Defense of Marriage Act") which prevented the federal government from recognizing same-sex marriages, but that was struck down by the Supreme Court a few years ago. The current holding (the one-sentence summary) is:

"The Fourteenth Amendment requires a State to license a marriage between two people of the same sex and to recognize a marriage between two people of the same sex when their marriage was lawfully licensed and performed out-of-State."

EDIT: And so very much ninja'ed by everyone else. But yes. The picture is beautiful, and it's a very happy day :smallsmile:

Lentrax
2015-06-26, 04:58 PM

Also, since I need to play the authority figure, too: Let's remember to keep discussion away from explicitly political topics while celebrating.

Thank you much, oh mighty artist/author.

A truly powerful gestalt combination indeed.

We should probably put a warning label on he spray itself though... "Do not touch or save vs:... Whatever."

Lentrax
2015-06-26, 05:07 PM
Let us move into this uncertain future, this next fronteir, but let us doi t together not separate. Let us seek a new world, right here in this one, where on way is better than any other. No God be better than another, and where killing in the name of a higher power is the act of a little man hoping to convert the words of living gods into dogmas of hate.

Dire Moose
2015-06-26, 05:55 PM
I was really happy to hear about the decision and Rich's drawing was the icing on the cake for it.

Considering that I'm an American currently living in Canada and trying to stay here permanently, though, I'm not sure if I should be giving or receiving congratulations.

Well, in any case, CONGRATULATIONS! *hugs everyone*

Heliomance
2015-06-26, 06:40 PM
Yup. If I remember correctly, there used to be a law (the "Defense of Marriage Act") which prevented the federal government from recognizing same-sex marriages, but that was struck down by the Supreme Court a few years ago. The current holding (the one-sentence summary) is:

"The Fourteenth Amendment requires a State to license a marriage between two people of the same sex and to recognize a marriage between two people of the same sex when their marriage was lawfully licensed and performed out-of-State."

EDIT: And so very much ninja'ed by everyone else. But yes. The picture is beautiful, and it's a very happy day :smallsmile:

Holy crap, they actually amended the Constitution? O_o Isn't that a really big deal?

Athedia
2015-06-26, 06:44 PM
Holy crap, they actually amended the Constitution? O_o Isn't that a really big deal?

Not actually an amendment. The ruling was more a defining of the intent of the Constitution. Amendments change parts of it, like letting women vote.

BladeofObliviom
2015-06-26, 06:47 PM
Er, to clarify, they were referencing the 14th Amendment's language as part of their legal basis, not passing a new amendment. The 14th Amendment was passed in 1868, as one of three civil rights amendments shortly after the American Civil War.

(On a side note, the American Supreme Court does not have the authority to amend the Constitution; that would be a power of Congress instead. The Supreme Court merely interprets the law.)

Lissou
2015-06-26, 06:48 PM

Ah, I see. We'll see how that goes.

No, no, the 14th amendment already existed. They just ruled that it applies here.

So that makes it how many countries now?

Rain Dragon
2015-06-26, 06:48 PM
Eee! The picture is so cuuute! :smallbiggrin:

Congratulations, America!

Spanish_Paladin
2015-06-26, 07:01 PM
Congratulations people, it was, is and will be always good and now it is lawfull :smallsmile:

Lord Raziere
2015-06-26, 08:09 PM
To celebrate I shall post up a few pictures of my own:

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk25/Trizap/goatgirlcuddle.png~original
http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2014/361/d/3/korrasami_by_nihonoaisuru-d8bf8t6.jpg
http://38.media.tumblr.com/9a889eab70f9a99f6d52b57cf5a0bc9a/tumblr_inline_n38skvXzIm1r4ocw4.png
http://www.egscomics.com/bg/egs_bg_0039_800x600.jpg
http://orig07.deviantart.net/5449/f/2014/358/e/6/i_hate_love__blackrom__vriska_x_male_reader__by_to ocuteforthisworld-d8b4zsz.png
http://pre13.deviantart.net/00d9/th/pre/i/2012/309/c/9/homestuck___rose_and_kanaya___i_want___yuouo_____b y_melspontaneus-d5jx08h.jpg

noparlpf
2015-06-26, 08:12 PM
Weird time to bring it up, probably, but I've been thinking for a while of doing the ace ring as a tattoo because I lost the habit of wearing it while my hand was in a cast. So that might be a thing I do this summer.

Ravens_cry
2015-06-26, 08:35 PM
Well, I had a dream last night I had breasts. Now, I have had such dreams before, and they are generally good. I was happy in those dreams, ecstatic even, but this time, this time I was nervous and afraid of anyone noticing that fact that I had breasts. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but . . . yeah, they're dreams. In some way, they reflect my state of mind, at least subconsciously. Also, I haven't received any word back about an endocrinologist appointment, and it's been about a month.

Irish Musician
2015-06-26, 09:16 PM
Lots of love.....all of the love........so much love......

Oodelally, Oodelally......Golly what a day.....

137beth
2015-06-26, 11:08 PM

That was a completely awesome image:smallsmile:

Sobol
2015-06-26, 11:42 PM
Congratulations to all fellow Americans.

Loreseeker
2015-06-26, 11:58 PM
Don't post here much... Or at all really (GITP lurker)... Decided to come out of the shadows to gratz fellow Americans.

Maybe one day I can find a cute guy and take advantage of it... Most of the guys I meet are immature brats :smallconfused:... Ah well.

Yay for all!

Metahuman1
2015-06-27, 12:04 AM
Ok, congratulations all!

I grant, I have some concerns with some of the tidbits of phrasing in the majority opinion on the ruling, but that is most likely just minutia that can and will be ironed out before the years so I'm not to worried about it. (Governments have this knack for phrasing things in ways that make me concerned. It's likely nothing.).

But I do sincerely approve of the baseline intention and action, and congratulate all relevant parties whom feel there getting a measure of happiness with/because/with the help of this.

Yeah, don't normally post in this topic, so, just came in to say that.

Lentrax
2015-06-27, 12:31 AM
By the way.

Something to add, since it has been an issue in the past.

If there is anything anyone feels I need to add or edit about the first post, please let me know. I just copy/pasted the previous one and added thread 55 to the list of previous threads. I also took the liberty of adding Validation to the webcomic list.

Just let me know if I need to do/fix anything up there.

Grytorm
2015-06-27, 12:51 AM
Hmm. Good. Hope for mankind after all. And I was wondering, who is Bandanna making out with?

Okay I am posting here for two reasons.

First it is getting annoyingly hot and my families water might be out tomorrow. Hopefully the pressure will come back tonight.

Secondly I'm going to a new college, which means new ID Card. Which means selecting a gender for it. Which is scary because I am still in the uncertain-made very few steps toward anything. There is a transgender option but that is scary to, everything is scary! (Everything is scary is an exaggerated statement intended for levity. Everything is scary, just not to scary). Although if the water is back on tomorrow it should be a perfect day to hopefully hang out in my skirt I think.

Loreseeker
2015-06-27, 01:44 AM
Secondly I'm going to a new college, which means new ID Card. Which means selecting a gender for it. Which is scary because I am still in the uncertain-made very few steps toward anything. There is a transgender option but that is scary to, everything is scary! (Everything is scary is an exaggerated statement intended for levity. Everything is scary, just not to scary). Although if the water is back on tomorrow it should be a perfect day to hopefully hang out in my skirt I think.

Good luck with that. I'd say go with whatever makes you feel comfortable, taking into account your particular circumstances.

I never feel comfortable with those things. I worry I'm too genderfluid sometimes, since what's right one day may not be right next week. Makes everything very uncomfortable for people I found. If I wasn't so aware of it, I'd probably wind up right back in the closet on the topic of my gender to make it easier on folks, lol.

Miraqariftsky
2015-06-27, 02:17 AM
@US Queerfolk:
Congrats to y'all.

@Grytorm:
Fair winds to you and good luck with that.

@Everybody:
Hope all's well there, comrades?

Hugs for those who want or need 'em, coffees or icecreams for those who like some distance.

@Ma'am Lentrax:
Kudos and thank you for putting up the new thread, ma'am.
And might you put me up in that list for consultation as well? By my experience methinks I could cover "family issues, transfolk issues, bullying, depression" decently. Thank you.

@The Giant:
Hail, sir. Well done, well done indeed.

CWater
2015-06-27, 02:24 AM
Congrats!!:smallsmile: It's nice to hear positive news from the world sometimes, keeps the cynicism in check. :J

Lentrax
2015-06-27, 02:59 AM
@Ma'am Lentrax:
Kudos and thank you for putting up the new thread, ma'am.
And might you put me up in that list for consultation as well? By my experience methinks I could cover "family issues, transfolk issues, bullying, depression" decently. Thank you.

Thank you. And done. You are now on the list, which means no more waiting in line with everyone else, you get to just come on in past the velvet rope. :smallwink:

Lycunadari
2015-06-27, 04:17 AM
Congrats to the USAians. :smallsmile:
Love the picture, V x Inky= OTP forever. :smalltongue:

Double posting to try to not obfuscate my last post.

Gonna go to bed folks.

We people are amazing and a half, and I can say I love you all with my poly heart. Bless each of you. And remember the ignorant are only champions of hate for being ignorant. Live.

Live and teach them better.

Her name is Leelah.

My name is Ashleigh.

Let us move into this uncertain future, this next fronteir, but let us doi t together not separate. Let us seek a new world, right here in this one, where on way is better than any other. No God be better than another, and where killing in the name of a higher power is the act of a little man hoping to convert the words of living gods into dogmas of hate.
Ashleigh is a nice name. :smallsmile:

Weird time to bring it up, probably, but I've been thinking for a while of doing the ace ring as a tattoo because I lost the habit of wearing it while my hand was in a cast. So that might be a thing I do this summer.
What is the ace ring?

Well, I had a dream last night I had breasts. Now, I have had such dreams before, and they are generally good. I was happy in those dreams, ecstatic even, but this time, this time I was nervous and afraid of anyone noticing that fact that I had breasts. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but . . . yeah, they're dreams. In some way, they reflect my state of mind, at least subconsciously. Also, I haven't received any word back about an endocrinologist appointment, and it's been about a month.
Dreams can be weird, yes. It's possible that the nervousness in this dream comes from the fact that you're now actually making progress, and that comes with new challenges (like not being able to stay in the closet for ever). But that's okay - being nervous is perfectly normal and you'll probably be happier in the long run, even if transitioning causes some nervousness now. You can do this. :smallsmile:

Good luck with that. I'd say go with whatever makes you feel comfortable, taking into account your particular circumstances.

I never feel comfortable with those things. I worry I'm too genderfluid sometimes, since what's right one day may not be right next week. Makes everything very uncomfortable for people I found. If I wasn't so aware of it, I'd probably wind up right back in the closet on the topic of my gender to make it easier on folks, lol.
Yeah, having a constantly shifting gender identity can be weird and annoying. If I can choose a gender marker (and don't have to use my legal gender) or if people ask, I usually just go with non-binary (if possible) - that's at least mostly accurate, and less complicated than changing every few hours.

LuisDantas
2015-06-27, 04:20 AM
I'm late here, but whatever. Congratulations for you all. It is quite heartwarming to know of this piece of news.

And it is a great drawing, Giant!

Mono Vertigo
2015-06-27, 06:02 AM
I'm late to the party, but hurray! Congratulations to America! Finally got that over with! I really didn't expect that development (not so soon anyway). Just great news all around.
And thanks a lot for the Giant not just for drawing this, but also for allowing us to use it in the OP, and generally allowing us to have an inclusive and friendly space within your forum.

NeoSeraphi
2015-06-27, 07:43 AM
I am so proud to be an American! :smallbiggrin:

All those depressing stories we hear on the news about violence usually make me worry for the fate of any kids I might have, but today those fears are lessened significantly. We can do the right things. We can make changes for the better. We, as a nation, can move forward and help others. (Next on the list: getting women equal pay for equal work).

And that's where I will stop because I don't want to get in trouble for politicizing too much. I'm so happy for all my fellow GiTPers, whether you are directly affected by the ruling or just happy it finally came.

Nice drawing, Giant. And that's a cool hipster icon you've got going on there.

Ravens_cry
2015-06-27, 08:24 AM
Dreams can be weird, yes. It's possible that the nervousness in this dream comes from the fact that you're now actually making progress, and that comes with new challenges (like not being able to stay in the closet for ever). But that's okay - being nervous is perfectly normal and you'll probably be happier in the long run, even if transitioning causes some nervousness now. You can do this. :smallsmile:

Thank you. I feel a lot better having shared that with the fine, supportive people of this forum.:smallsmile:

Jormengand
2015-06-27, 11:39 AM
So when America was dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century, the first thing I did was propose to one of my lovers.

They said yes. :smallredface:

Psyren
2015-06-27, 11:42 AM
So when America was dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century, the first thing I did was propose to one of my lovers.

"One of?" I can barely find one willing to put up with me :smalltongue:

Regardless, congrats!

Syless
2015-06-27, 11:43 AM

Congratulations!

Irish Musician
2015-06-27, 11:48 AM

Yay!!!!!! :smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

"One of?" I can barely find one willing to put up with me :smalltongue:
And right?! :smalltongue::smallamused:

noparlpf
2015-06-27, 12:35 PM
By the way.

Something to add, since it has been an issue in the past.

If there is anything anyone feels I need to add or edit about the first post, please let me know. I just copy/pasted the previous one and added thread 55 to the list of previous threads. I also took the liberty of adding Validation to the webcomic list.

Just let me know if I need to do/fix anything up there.

I think there was something somebody wanted changed last time but I forget what.

I also noticed that the link to the Questions thread is still for the first iteration. Maybe we should add the second thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?386745-LGBTAI-Questions-and-Discussion-thread-II-Make-It-Double&p=18487367#post18487367) to the top and make a second list of old threads for the Questions threads too?

What is the ace ring?

It's a black ring on the right middle finger. I'm still thinking about specifics, like whether to do a solid band or two lines, or how thick it should be, but I think I'm going to do it.

It's a bit weird though because a black ring on any other finger on the right hand is a symbol for swingers, although that community seems to be pretty good about specifying "right hand EXCEPT the middle finger" and mentioning that a black ring on the right middle finger is a symbol for some parts of the asexual community.

Lycunadari
2015-06-27, 12:49 PM

Woah, congrats! :smallsmile:

I think there was something somebody wanted changed last time but I forget what.

I also noticed that the link to the Questions thread is still for the first iteration. Maybe we should add the second thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?386745-LGBTAI-Questions-and-Discussion-thread-II-Make-It-Double&p=18487367#post18487367) to the top and make a second list of old threads for the Questions threads too?

I think we should just link the active thread and keep the list of old ones in the Q&A threads, not here.

It's a black ring on the right middle finger. I'm still thinking about specifics, like whether to do a solid band or two lines, or how thick it should be, but I think I'm going to do it.

It's a bit weird though because a black ring on any other finger on the right hand is a symbol for swingers, although that community seems to be pretty good about specifying "right hand EXCEPT the middle finger" and mentioning that a black ring on the right middle finger is a symbol for some parts of the asexual community.
Huh, interesting, never heard of either. :smallredface: I should look up if there are any other ace symbols, cause I don't like rings but having a symbol to wear would be neat.

noparlpf
2015-06-27, 12:59 PM
I think we should just link the active thread and keep the list of old ones in the Q&A threads, not here.

Eh, either way.

Huh, interesting, never heard of either. :smallredface: I should look up if there are any other ace symbols, cause I don't like rings but having a symbol to wear would be neat.

I've seen one or two suggestions to use a grey ring for demi/grey too, but that's even less mainstream.

There's AVEN's inverted triangle with a black-grey-white gradient, and there's the black-grey-white-purple flag. Sometimes people also use playing card suits as a visual pun on "ace." Let's see...spades was aro/ace, hearts was romantic/ace, diamonds was demi, and clubs was other grey, I think. Although sometimes diamonds is grey/demi and clubs is unsure/questioning.

Lissou
2015-06-27, 02:00 PM

Congratulations!

Lentrax
2015-06-27, 02:16 PM

And thus was Jor taken from the list of cuties available for dating.

Congratulations, honey. You deserve it.

Jormengand
2015-06-27, 03:15 PM
And thus was Jor taken from the list of cuties available for dating.

Shush, honey. I'm still poly, and still have multiple lovers. I'm honoured that you considered, and hope you still do consider, yourself as one of them.

Grytorm
2015-06-27, 04:30 PM
Well I'm dressed up and home alone. Its fun, but I couldn't figure out how to work the camera so no photos. Sorry.

I borrowed a shirt from my sisters closet which has about three things since she doesn't live at home.

Astrella
2015-06-27, 07:16 PM
Congrats, Jor. :smallsmile:

JoshL
2015-06-28, 12:30 AM
Congrats, folks! I don't have enough words to express how happy I am that we're moving closer to a truly free society. I love all of you, and I'm glad there's one less roadblock to you expressing the love that you feel.

Heliomance
2015-06-28, 03:50 AM
Ugh. So, a pastor in America said, in the lead up to this same sex marriage decision, “We are not going to bow. We are not going to bend, and if necessary, we will burn.”

Now my Facebook feed is full of people going "To the guy who said he'd set himself on fire if gay marriage got passed, when are you going to do it?"

People are disgustingly horrible sometimes, and being liberal and queer is not an exemption from that.

Killer Angel
2015-06-28, 04:09 AM
Those are really wonderful news! :smallsmile:

Ugh. So, a pastor in America said, in the lead up to this same sex marriage decision, “We are not going to bow. We are not going to bend, and if necessary, we will burn.”

Haters gonna hate. We all know this. :smallsigh:

Astrella
2015-06-28, 04:14 AM
Bluh, I feel like a mess. All the misgendering at work + just general summer related dysphoria is really getting to me. I hate my body so much, how square and angular and shapeless everything is, my skin is all blotchy, I just look like a guy and it feels like there's no point to it. It's even gotten me to relapse (not too badly luckily)... and I've been having repetitive thoughts about just going back to being a guy. And I feel so guilty about being such a mess. And I have a surgical consult in August and I don't know what I want and I feel guilty about that too cause so many trans women don't get this chance...

Heliomance
2015-06-28, 04:20 AM
Those are really wonderful news! :smallsmile:

Haters gonna hate. We all know this. :smallsigh:

That's... that's not what I was complaining about. I know haters gonna hate, that's not news. What I'm complaining about is the fact that people I know, liberal people, are seriously, unironically calling for this man to burn himself to death. Because of a comment that wasn't even meant literally. That is not okay.

Skeppio
2015-06-28, 04:51 AM
That's... that's not what I was complaining about. I know haters gonna hate, that's not news. What I'm complaining about is the fact that people I know, liberal people, are seriously, unironically calling for this man to burn himself to death. Because of a comment that wasn't even meant literally. That is not okay.

It's surprisingly refreshing to see someone else in the LGBT community who thinks that way. Most people I've seen follow mindsets that can be summed up as "those outside our clique aren't people and all deserve death" and "it's okay when we do it". :smallfrown:

Athedia
2015-06-28, 05:01 AM

Now my Facebook feed is full of people going "To the guy who said he'd set himself on fire if gay marriage got passed, when are you going to do it?"

People are disgustingly horrible sometimes, and being liberal and queer is not an exemption from that.

I mean I have made jokes about that, no-one actually expects or wants him to do it. They are just at least the people I know, pointing out that grand statements like that don't actually mean anything. For me, it was like when a kid says they are going to hold their breath til they get their way. People will joke and tease the kid, but we know all that will happen is that they will either decide to stop or pass out and start breathing again.

Killer Angel
2015-06-28, 05:09 AM

Ouch. This should teach to me to actually pay attention to the whole post. Sorry. :smallredface:
Well, the reaction seems understandable. Not justifiable, but understandable.

Heliomance
2015-06-28, 05:12 AM
Ouch. This should teach to me to actually pay attention to the whole post. Sorry. :smallredface:

Calling for someone to kill himself in one of the most horrific ways possible because he used the word "burn" in his rhetoric is understandable?

Skeppio
2015-06-28, 05:13 AM

Understandable? I'm not sure how it's understandable for anyone to be disappointed, and express said disappointment, that a man who disagreed with them is not going to horrifically and painfully kill himself. :smallconfused:

Heliomance
2015-06-28, 05:20 AM
If he'd said "If the Supreme Court rules in favour of same sex marriage, I will set myself on fire in protest", then it would be understandable that people would ask if he was actually going to*. He didn't. He said "If necessary, we will burn." That could mean anything.It was just a generic statement of impassioned rhetoric.

*It still wouldn't be the appropriate response, of course. The appropriate response would be to get him emergency psychiatric help, fast.

super dark33
2015-06-28, 05:27 AM
Its 'understandable' that someone might hold these opinions under feelings of contempt and wishe for long overdue revenge.

Just as this pastor is led to make such a statement from undestandable reasons.

Both cases are not excusable.

Lentrax
2015-06-28, 05:31 AM
As was stated above, haters gonna hate. All we can do is move on from words intended to demean and shame us, shake off the stinging pain, and prove ourselves resistant to such petty, feeble attempts to undermine the cause of freedom in love.

Live on, friends.

Love.

Love well, and prosper.

Heliomance
2015-06-28, 05:39 AM
As was stated above, haters gonna hate. All we can do is move on from words intended to demean and shame us, shake off the stinging pain, and prove ourselves resistant to such petty, feeble attempts to undermine the cause of freedom in love.

Live on, friends.

Love.

Love well, and prosper.

THAT IS NOT MY PROBLEM. My problem is the left-wing response to his bigotry. I have no problem moving on from his words, they're just a load of hot air. But we really shouldn't just "shake off" the fact that our team is calling for the horrific, excruciating death of a man for the crime of disagreeing with us.

Skeppio
2015-06-28, 05:43 AM
THAT IS NOT MY PROBLEM. My problem is the left-wing response to his bigotry. I have no problem moving on from his words, they're just a load of hot air. But we really shouldn't just "shake off" the fact that our team is calling for the horrific, excruciating death of a man for the crime of disagreeing with us.

This. This is why I don't even bother associating myself with "our team" anymore. Because we're far too willing to let this sort of thing slide because it's us slinging the hate around. No, it is not okay when we do it. That is hypocrisy of the highest caliber.

Killer Angel
2015-06-28, 05:55 AM
Calling for someone to kill himself in one of the most horrific ways possible because he used the word "burn" in his rhetoric is understandable?

If you are the subject of a campaign of hate, yes, extreme bitterness as reaction is understandable. We are not all Ghandi. But again, there's a Whole world of difference between understandable and justifiable. Only time will erase this kind of bad reactions.

Given that the argument is a sensible one, forgive me but probably I'll abstain from further comments.

Lentrax
2015-06-28, 05:56 AM

Tamsin, I was not directing my remark at you, or as a response to what you said.

But I think that every 'side' should take a good hard look at what they are doing to everyone simply by having 'sides' to begin with.

I am not calling for anyone's death, nor would I, unless the crimes committed truly warrant it.

But by dividing into us and them, by dividing to you and me, by making ourselves separate by words, we undermine the words that speak for peace. We lose ourselves to the division, and open ourselves to divide by more words. And when we divide far enough, all we have left are the words that cut and maim. And then all we do is hurt each other. And ourselves.

If the words they say hurt, or offend, or destroy them speak against them. Question their words. Set yourself free from the dissent.

Astrella
2015-06-28, 09:04 AM
Uh, no, holding bigoted opinions is wrong. This is stuff that negatively impacts people's lives, it's not harmless.

Lycunadari
2015-06-28, 09:35 AM
Bluh, I feel like a mess. All the misgendering at work + just general summer related dysphoria is really getting to me. I hate my body so much, how square and angular and shapeless everything is, my skin is all blotchy, I just look like a guy and it feels like there's no point to it. It's even gotten me to relapse (not too badly luckily)... and I've been having repetitive thoughts about just going back to being a guy. And I feel so guilty about being such a mess. And I have a surgical consult in August and I don't know what I want and I feel guilty about that too cause so many trans women don't get this chance...
*offers hugs* Misgendering sucks, I'm sorry you have to deal with that on top of everything. :smallfrown: And I know that it's hard to not get discouraged, but how you look is not determining how valid your identity is. And trying is never pointless - hormones can keep changing your appearance for several years as far as I know, and maybe you'll be able find more clothes (and maybe makeup, assecories etc) to make you look more like you want to. Also tbh, from the pictures I've seen of you (though it's been a while) you looked pretty cute. :smallsmile:
Relapsing happens - it's not good, yes, but it doesn't make you a worse person and any less deserving of good things.
There is no reason to feel guilty. Emotions are human and being confused, upset or unsure is okay and understandable. You'll be fine. :smallsmile: And while it sucks that many women don't get this opportunity, you don't deserve it any less just because you're unsure.

Mm. I think this is the really important thing. On both sides of the debate there seem to be a lot of people who think that the act of holding dissenting opinions is inherently wrong. That, honestly, scares me far more than any overblown rhetoric from either camp. (Because neither is innocent of it.)

I mean, what the pastor said was still a silly thing to say. But saying it wasn't morally wrong.

Uh, no, holding bigoted opinions is wrong. This is stuff that negatively impacts people's lives, it's not harmless.
I'm with Lena on this one. Having different opinions isn't wrong in itself, but bigoted opinions are actively hurting people. Nobody lives in a vacuum. One persons "empty" hate speech can make someone else commit suicide. What do you think those pastor's "silly" words would do to a gay relative of him? It might seem silly to us who aren't directly affected by it, but if you're hearing these things every day, if you have to live with the knowledge that your relative would rather burn (however that was meant specifically) than grant you human rights, don't you think that would eat away at you? And hurting others in that way is definitely morally wrong IMO.

That doesn't makes the people calling for his death on Tamsin's facebook feed any better. That's unacceptable no matter what he said before.

noparlpf
2015-06-28, 10:21 AM

I've seen a bit of that on tumblr too. It's disgusting. Like, I understand being bitter and angry when upset and hurt, but that's still no excuse for this kind of behavior.

*hugs*? I'm sorry you're having such a rough time.

Heliomance
2015-06-28, 11:16 AM
In happier news, this is amazing (http://ti-amah.tumblr.com/post/122622766506/back-before-the-dawn-the-rain-monster). (Warning for bad language)

Kesnit
2015-06-28, 11:23 AM

If it makes you feel better, this is from the FB of a close friend of mine. "Any of those conservative pastors setting themselves on fire??? Let's be there, embrace them and prevent them doing harm to themselves ... share the love ... help them heal! If they do self immolate ... you can be sure that LGBT doctors, nurses, EMTs will be there to help!"

It's surprisingly refreshing to see someone else in the LGBT community who thinks that way. Most people I've seen follow mindsets that can be summed up as "those outside our clique aren't people and all deserve death" and "it's okay when we do it". :smallfrown:

You (and a few others) seems to be under the impression that writing "bring the s'mores!" means that person would actually let someone burn to death if the situation arose. Sure, I'm amused by the idea of certain idiots setting themselves on fire - because I know they will never do it. If that same idiot actually did set him/herself on fire in front of me, I'd be there, trying to put them out. (Similar to the quote I posted above.)

I mean I have made jokes about that, no-one actually expects or wants him to do it. They are just at least the people I know, pointing out that grand statements like that don't actually mean anything. For me, it was like when a kid says they are going to hold their breath til they get their way. People will joke and tease the kid, but we know all that will happen is that they will either decide to stop or pass out and start breathing again.

^This.

Lissou
2015-06-28, 11:51 AM
I don't know about this specific guy, but a lot of people dit say "If this passes I'll set fire to myself" and a lot of people did say "If this happens I'm getting a divorce as marriage will have become meaningless" and other similar "threats". The threats were silly to begin with. Setting fire to yourself is blackmail and throwing a tantrum, and I've found it a ridiculous tactic even when people I agreed with did it (in obviously very different circumstances). Divorcing isn't something that anyone other than your spouse cares about so it's a ridiculous threat.

After it did pass, a bunch of people pointed out how those thread were just that, threats. The guys aren't going to set fire to themselves. The point isn't to tell them to do it, it's to show how immature they were in the first place for saying they would. The problem is that some people actually mean those things. I think the people who tease them would stop if they realised that yes, some people might do it.

No if comments were targetted directly to this guy who never said "I'll set fire to myself", I guess he was lumped in with the other people because his sentence seemed similar (and we have to see it in context. When so many people say "I'll set fire to myself", saying "we will burn" can definitely be seen as an encouragement to them or a threat on their behalf.)

Anyway, I haven't seen the comments on your facebook page. The only comment I personnaly saw on mine was "Shouldn't a bunch of people be moving to Canada, getting a divorce or setting fire to themselves right about now?" which again, is not asking them to do it, but pointing out that those were empty, disproportionate threats to begin with.

Now, I do agree with you about people of all kinds being horrible. There was a story way back about a woman who tracked a man who had raped her and then set fire to him. And my facebook wall was full of people cheering her. That's horrible. I hate knowing that my friends can cheer for such a horrible death. So if the comments on your wall were similar to that, then yes, I understand being disgusted by it.

Coidzor
2015-06-28, 12:34 PM

Mostly I've seen people mocking him for being, well, who and what he is and saying what he did.

But, y'know, sometimes people need to get their Two Minutes Hate in, and he's a good contemptible figure since Fred Phelps apparently kicked the bucket at some point.

THAT IS NOT MY PROBLEM. My problem is the left-wing response to his bigotry. I have no problem moving on from his words, they're just a load of hot air. But we really shouldn't just "shake off" the fact that our team is calling for the horrific, excruciating death of a man

Oh, hello Tone Policing. :smalltongue:

But seriously, it's far better for them to reveal to you now that you'd never want to have a pint with them rather than once you're at the pub together.

for the crime of disagreeing with us.

Wait, wait, no. I'm sorry, you just don't get it at all then if that's all you think is represented by this context and what this man's beliefs and rhetoric have been and are.

A bigot who tries to organize other bigots is doing far more than merely "disagreeing." To the point where you're factually incorrect to the point where it's confusing how you came to such a mistaken conclusion. :smallconfused:

Don't get me wrong, I am (subjectively) disgusted by what he's said and done, but I don't think that the act of holding an opinion (that, and no more - this is the really important thing, there's a divide between that which you keep to yourself and affects nobody else and that which, even by the act of speaking about it, can hurt) can be construed as wrong.

Your belief that holding an opinion or belief can't be wrong is factually incorrect and thus wrong. :smalltongue:

I mean, just look at anti-vaxxers and people who believe all kinds of incorrect and malicious slurs against people with autism.

Callin
2015-06-28, 12:40 PM
Hate is hate and I wish those on both sides spouting it would shut up. Congrats to Marriage for all.

edit- I didnt need that last part in there. My party affiliation should have no bearing on this.

golentan
2015-06-28, 12:51 PM
Guys, talking about, hell, even mentioning parties and wings may not be the best way to use this particular platform to talk about developments, unless we're talking about parties where we celebrate some of the good news, and the chicken wings that we serve there...

Coidzor
2015-06-28, 01:05 PM
As I said, their views are infuriating and sickening, respectively.

Also, y'know, false and in many cases slanderous or libelous. :smalltongue:

However, I don't think that there is any such thing as a thoughtcrime.

No one's saying throw the guy in jail, they're just calling a bluff which he didn't actually make himself but a combination of his followers, his opponents, and the media created through the magic of social media sharing and inflation of the extremity of rhetoric. :smalltongue: Bigots are bigots though, and recognizing them as bigots is not declaring thoughtcrime.

In my view, you're free to believe what you want within the comfort of your own head, but the second those beliefs harm or infringe upon the rights of others, you're absolutely in the wrong and deserve to have the full weight of sanity brought down upon you.

It's a bit hypocritical of you to believe that they're allowed to believe that others are wrong in their beliefs but we're not allowed to believe that their beliefs are wrong right back at them. :smalltongue:

If we're wrong to believe they're wrong then they were wrong in the first place for starting this fractal loop of wrongness. XD

With the examples you provided, the moment said anti-vaxxer actually refused to have their children immunised or that our friend the anti-autistic fellow insulted or demeaned or was just a (insert slur here) to people with autism, they would deserve all the ridicule and/or legal action that was coming their way.

Legal action and ridicule are a step beyond the fact that they believe outright false information and spread false information and believe things that are literally untrue.

Heliomance
2015-06-28, 01:13 PM
On a far less pleasant note that my previous link, this is quite spetacular. (https://medium.com/@zip/my-name-is-only-real-enough-to-work-at-facebook-not-to-use-on-the-site-c37daf3f4b03)

Syless
2015-06-28, 01:22 PM
On a far less pleasant note that my previous link, this is quite spetacular. (https://medium.com/@zip/my-name-is-only-real-enough-to-work-at-facebook-not-to-use-on-the-site-c37daf3f4b03)

The sooner Facebook implodes under its own weight, the better.

Athedia
2015-06-28, 01:35 PM
On an amusing note, I found out this happened at the announcement (http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/early-lead/wp/2015/06/26/supreme-court-same-sex-marriage-decision-sparks-running-of-the-interns/).

Haruki-kun
2015-06-28, 01:54 PM
The Winged Mod: Thread closed for review.

Thread re-opened upon review.

Folks, we're all very happy and very excited about the recent news.

However, as a general reminder, please remember that politics and religion are both inappropriate topics on these boards, and this event will not be an exception to it. Feel free to celebrate and congratulate each other or share any personal updates* related to the news, but avoid discussing or referencing, among other things:

The actual legal workings of the ruling, what it means, or previous rulings about it
What politicians, organizations, people, ideologies or political parties have stated regarding their position
How religion ties into this at all
Present, Past, or Future political movements in favor or against
Any kind of government procedure, policy, or concept.
Etc.

Also needless to say, please be respectful to each other. Remember to adhere to the Forum Rules (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/announcement.php?a=1).

Thanks, everyone! Happy posting!

*Congrats, Jor.

Heliomance
2015-06-28, 03:06 PM
So I just watched Boy Meets Girl (a.k.a. possibly the most important LGBT+ film of 2014). It was absolutely beautiful. I'm tearing up a bit here.

Jormengand
2015-06-28, 03:12 PM
*Congrats, Jor.

:smallredface:

Thank you.

Irish Musician
2015-06-28, 03:40 PM
So I just watched Boy Meets Girl (a.k.a. possibly the most important LGBT+ film of 2014). It was absolutely beautiful. I'm tearing up a bit here.

There's an amazing film called "Before Night Falls" with Javier Bardem who plays Reinaldo Arenas, a Cuban poet and his life as a gay man in Cuba.

Amazing film. Amazing.

Anarion
2015-06-28, 04:24 PM

Going back over the thread and OMIGOSH. Congratulations!

Any kid of government procedure, policy, or concept.

Remember everyone, the children of procedure and policy are demons and not to be discussed, lest we bring down their wrath upon us. :smalltongue:

Heliomance
2015-06-28, 04:28 PM
It's not one I've heard of. What's it like?

It's a rom com, where the female lead is trans (played by a trans actress). It's really sensitive, and respectful, and just all around a really positive portrayal.

golentan
2015-06-28, 04:35 PM
It's a rom com, where the female lead is trans (played by a trans actress). It's really sensitive, and respectful, and just all around a really positive portrayal.

Aaaaand I went ahead and added it to my netflix queue... I love rom-coms, and also always wish for more queer friendly media that isn't... Just queer.

Oh for a blockbuster movie where the romantic b-plot is between a same sex couple without that being the only thing.

Rom-coms get a pass on some of it because the whole point is a relationship loaded with wacky misunderstanding. But most of the LGBT movies I've looked at have been basically the LGBT equivalent of Blaxploitation films of the 70s, or feel the need to reinforce how oppressed queer folk are... And I don't like feeling exploited, and I also very much like the majority of my media to be escapist fun rather than something that makes me depressed. Art doesn't have to be angsty, dammit!

Going back over the thread and OMIGOSH. Congratulations!

Remember everyone, the children of procedure and policy are demons and not to be discussed, lest we bring down their wrath upon us. :smalltongue:

So, but... I'm a demon (of sorts), and I'm frequently wrathful here...

Haruki-kun
2015-06-28, 10:36 PM

*fixes typo*

I deny everything. :smallcool:

Psyren
2015-06-28, 11:13 PM
Has anyone else been watching Sense8? My guy and I just started it on a date night, and while it has a very Wachowski/Cloud Atlas habit of confusingly lurching between main character perspectives, both the sci-fi premise and LGBT-friendliness of it are exceedingly cool.

I'm only two episodes in so please no spoilers!

Athedia
2015-06-29, 01:09 AM
Has anyone else been watching Sense8? My guy and I just started it on a date night, and while it has a very Wachowski/Cloud Atlas habit of confusingly lurching between main character perspectives, both the sci-fi premise and LGBT-friendliness of it are exceedingly cool.

I am afraid too. I worry it will be to much like Lucy (the movie) which drove me crazy. I love sci-fi but it has to be grounded in some reality, not someone misunderstanding science.

Psyren
2015-06-29, 02:17 AM
Honestly Lucy didn't bother me that much. Yeah the entire premise was based on a science meme that was thoroughly debunked years prior, but I've seen better hollywood flicks kicked off with less. The first Matrix had one of the biggest plot holes in sci-fi history but it didn't get in the way of a genuinely enjoyable and thought-provoking romp, at least not until the sequels showed up and piddled all over everything the original had built. Though I guess I'm not exactly making myself feel any better since the Wachowskis were behind those too :smallbiggrin:

golentan
2015-06-29, 02:22 AM
Honestly Lucy didn't bother me that much. Yeah the entire premise was based on a science meme that was thoroughly debunked years prior, but I've seen better hollywood flicks kicked off with less. The first Matrix had one of the biggest plot holes in sci-fi history but it didn't get in the way of a genuinely enjoyable and thought-provoking romp, at least not until the sequels showed up and piddled all over everything the original had built. Though I guess I'm not exactly making myself feel any better since the Wachowskis were behind those too :smallbiggrin:

The plot hole makes sense (assuming you're talking about the battery thing) if you assume that the machines are the good guys, willing to hinder their own energy reserves to preserve the species that tried to genocide them, and that one of the reasons the humans only recruit child soldiers is because they don't understand thermodynamics and can be readily convinced of the evil of the machines without noticing the key phrase of Morpheus's speech: "Combined with a form of fusion..."

The Matrix is from the Human point of view. It's propaganda!

Athedia
2015-06-29, 03:06 AM

See, I study neuroscience and for me it is a big deal. I have to deal with people wondering if I am working to "unlock the secrets of the mind". No, no. We are just trying to figure the bloody thing out since the instruction manual got tossed with the packaging. So it adds to the many misconceptions about my chosen area of study. It was never a science meme either. It was a layperson no fumdamentally misunderstands science interpretation of how brain activity works.

Psyren
2015-06-29, 08:40 AM
"Combined with a form of fusion..."

Thing is though, if the machines can generate a net positive energy in a closed system via this "form of fusion," why do they need people-batteries at all? Also, where are the humans in Zion getting THEIR food? Where is that energy coming from, with no sun?

Again, if my brain could skip over that massive hole, Lucy is no problem at all. I mean, a magical wonder-drug COULD do all that stuff to her to make the plot work, and hell she might secretly even be a latent mutant/psion or something, and Morgan Freeman's explanation for it all is simply the wrong one.

See, I study neuroscience and for me it is a big deal. I have to deal with people wondering if I am working to "unlock the secrets of the mind". No, no. We are just trying to figure the bloody thing out since the instruction manual got tossed with the packaging. So it adds to the many misconceptions about my chosen area of study. It was never a science meme either. It was a layperson no fumdamentally misunderstands science interpretation of how brain activity works.

Layperson meme then. Either way, soft science (or non-science if you prefer) is nothing new to Hollywood.

If even one teenager walked out of that movie thinking science was cooler than they did going in, I'd say Luc Besson did something praiseworthy.

Morcleon
2015-06-29, 09:09 AM
Thing is though, if the machines can generate a net positive energy in a closed system via this "form of fusion," why do they need people-batteries at all? Also, where are the humans in Zion getting THEIR food? Where is that energy coming from, with no sun?

People batteries are used to generate the initial stream of energy, and it's kept as an anachronistic form of power generation despite being both inefficient and nonrenewable (*glares at fossil fuel power plants*). :smalltongue:

Geothermal power, I'd assume. And probably growing plants underground using artificial lighting and such.

Psyren
2015-06-29, 09:25 AM
Geothermal power, I'd assume.

Then why aren't the machines using that for their initial stream of energy? They have access to far more of the "geo" than the humans do (since there is only one human city left), and it's certainly much more efficient energy-wise than eating something that eats something that itself comes from the geothermal energy, with entropy occurring at every step.

Aren't machines supposed to be efficient and logical?

noparlpf
2015-06-29, 09:52 AM

I've heard it was amazing from some other queer tumblrs and stuff but haven't gotten to it myself.

See, I study neuroscience and for me it is a big deal. I have to deal with people wondering if I am working to "unlock the secrets of the mind". No, no. We are just trying to figure the bloody thing out since the instruction manual got tossed with the packaging. So it adds to the many misconceptions about my chosen area of study. It was never a science meme either. It was a layperson no fundamentally misunderstands science interpretation of how brain activity works.

I only took a few neurobio courses in undergrad (my degree is general mammalian bio and I'm aiming for vet school) but that was enough to make "Lucy" physically painful to sit through.

Morcleon
2015-06-29, 10:14 AM
Then why aren't the machines using that for their initial stream of energy? They have access to far more of the "geo" than the humans do (since there is only one human city left), and it's certainly much more efficient energy-wise than eating something that eats something that itself comes from the geothermal energy, with entropy occurring at every step.

You could also ask why we haven't switched to solar power, despite having an inordinately large source of it (the sun).

Yes, but they're machines made by humans, so they probably share a lot of human traits (see Agent Smith, for example). :smalltongue:

Psyren
2015-06-29, 10:58 AM
You could also ask why we haven't switched to solar power, despite having an inordinately large source of it (the sun).

I already know the answer to that question :smalltongue: We aren't run by logical machines that would seek the most efficient source of power; we're run by a complex array of sociopolitical and economic factors that very often make irrational decisions (especially long-term ones) as a result.

Unless by "we" you meant the humans of the Matrix world, where apparently solar is no longer an option anyway.

Yes, but they're machines made by humans, so they probably share a lot of human traits (see Agent Smith, for example). :smalltongue:

Except Smith is identified as an aberration even by the other programs. The ones that actually run things are (purportedly) logical, at least until he corrupts them.

Threadnaught
2015-06-29, 11:59 AM
“We are not going to bow. We are not going to bend, and if necessary, we will burn.”

So if there are less homophobes, wouldn't that be a good thing?

The we implies a group of people planning to burn themselves, if they want to create a bonfire and give everyone else the excuse to have a fireworks display, why should anyone stop them?

Also Coidzor wasn't saying that people should be punished for thinking wrong, just that they shouldn't be allowed to think wrong. If we're so enlightened, then why should anyone be allowed to think wrong?

noparlpf
2015-06-29, 12:05 PM
So if there are less homophobes, wouldn't that be a good thing?

The we implies a group of people planning to burn themselves, if they want to create a bonfire and give everyone else the excuse to have a fireworks display, why should anyone stop them?

Also Coidzor wasn't saying that people should be punished for thinking wrong, just that they shouldn't be allowed to think wrong. If we're so enlightened, then why should anyone be allowed to think wrong?

Please don't go down this line of discussion again. We got a warning already.

Threadnaught
2015-06-29, 12:10 PM
Please don't go down this line of discussion again. We got a warning already.

Yeah, best not to mention the hate speech, better to just quietly look forward to the dancing.

golentan
2015-06-29, 12:58 PM

They DON'T need people batteries. The people batteries are wasting power that could keep Machines alive, in order to keep humans alive, because the machines are the good guys and are magnanimous in victory, having gone to the trouble of creating a whole artificial playground to keep humans maximally happy but say "no, you're not allowed to genocide us like you tried to." They even tried to make it basically heaven with everything perfect first, and then had to tone down the happy for later iterations of the matrix because humans refuse to accept that much happy. The fusion provides the power, and the only thing that the pods built up around the humans do is limit some of the wasteage, and there's always wasteage because humans are energy negative. The people batteries capture (say 20% of) the power lost by keeping the humans alive and channel it back in the system for reuse because at the scale of hanging onto a people reserve of this nature that's a huge amount of power, they don't provide power in the first place.

That was my point. Let go of the propaganda that Morpheus feeds you, he was indoctrinated as and indoctrinates child soldiers, he is not a reliable source. The agents may be jerks, but they are working to stop a terrorist faction (those article clippings we see indicate morpheus is not above blowing up an airport to get attention, as do the instructions on dealing with humans before the Lobby Scene) using child soldiers from attempting genocide on their species (again) AND from dumping however many million/billion souls from the lives they've built up with friends and loved ones into a blasted wasteland where many of them will starve to death or will have their heart give out because their ancestors decided to literally go scorched earth (and good luck finding your spouse, or your child in a crowd of millions of refugees without any contact information).

Plus the agents are willing to negotiate with humans who play nice with them, I have no reason to believe that Smith was planning to backstab Cipher, and indeed if Smith had played fair he had a better chance of helping clear out the resistance entirely and get his wish of not having to be in the Matrix anymore, go back to the real world and download into a squiddie or something. I don't know.

And as for fusion vs. geothermal... Well, there are oceans FULL of hydrogen, and it's not like they need to worry about the long term impact on the biosphere, and someday they can probably just load up all their citizens onto a single storage mechanism and commute themselves to Jupiter or something.

*Ahem* On topic now, does anyone else watch Last Week Tonight? The main story (which is posted on youtube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmoAX9f6MOc)) is all about Trans Rights. Trigger warning, frank discussion of transphobia, but he's firmly on the side of "STOP DOING THAT TO THE TRANS FOLKS YOU MONSTERS!"

Astrella
2015-06-29, 01:01 PM
I haven't seen it, but I've heard from a few other trans women that it was pretty good apparently.

Athedia
2015-06-29, 02:13 PM
Just found out that my mom didn't know the ace colors til yesterday. She also asked to learn what demi-sexuality is. She is a lot more comfortable than she was two years ago and that makes me so happy :D

EDIT: Actually a little bummed now. I watched the John Oliver piece and while it was very good something he said really hurt. When he is talking about gender identity vs orientation, he says sexual attraction is who you love. As a biromantic asexual that hurt a lot since I have experienced a lot of people delegitimizing my relationships, telling me they aren't real or that I can't love the person I am dating.

Threadnaught
2015-06-29, 03:10 PM
Trigger warning, frank discussion of transphobia, but he's firmly on the side of "STOP DOING THAT TO THE TRANS FOLKS YOU MONSTERS!"

Cis-gendered people should be made to spend time in Trans people's shoes.
I'm not saying they should be forced to transition, but if they're unable to understand how some people feel forced to be the wrong body then they may be less problematic after re-education, maybe they could see that they may have been born wrong too.

golentan
2015-06-29, 03:25 PM
Just found out that my mom didn't know the ace colors til yesterday. She also asked to learn what demi-sexuality is. She is a lot more comfortable than she was two years ago and that makes me so happy :D

EDIT: Actually a little bummed now. I watched the John Oliver piece and while it was very good something he said really hurt. When he is talking about gender identity vs orientation, he says sexual attraction is who you love. As a biromantic asexual that hurt a lot since I have experienced a lot of people delegitimizing my relationships, telling me they aren't real or that I can't love the person I am dating.

~hugs~ I have no doubt that your love is real, I'm sorry if you felt excluded.

CWater
2015-06-29, 04:53 PM

That's great! :D It really feels nice when people around you acknowledge who you are and that your orientation is really 'a thing'. I used to have no one who knew or especially understood what demi was, but now my dad, aunt, cousin (who is bi/pan herself) and some friends do, or at least try. It feels surprisingly nice.

That is awful!:smallmad: Don't listen to people who say those things, they're not you, don't have your feelings and they don't know what it is like to be ace but not aromantic. Many of them probably don't get 'how someone can be ace' in the first place. You don't need lust to love (romantically). You're the only one who can truly judge what you feel, and no one has the right to stomp on that.

*friendly shoulder pat*

Anarion
2015-06-29, 04:56 PM

This is definitely what someone would say if they wanted to keep telekinesis a secret from the public.

They DON'T need people batteries. The people batteries are wasting power that could keep Machines alive, in order to keep humans alive, because the machines are the good guys and are magnanimous in victory, having gone to the trouble of creating a whole artificial playground to keep humans maximally happy but say "no, you're not allowed to genocide us like you tried to." They even tried to make it basically heaven with everything perfect first, and then had to tone down the happy for later iterations of the matrix because humans refuse to accept that much happy. The fusion provides the power, and the only thing that the pods built up around the humans do is limit some of the wasteage, and there's always wasteage because humans are energy negative. The people batteries capture (say 20% of) the power lost by keeping the humans alive and channel it back in the system for reuse because at the scale of hanging onto a people reserve of this nature that's a huge amount of power, they don't provide power in the first place.

That was my point. Let go of the propaganda that Morpheus feeds you, he was indoctrinated as and indoctrinates child soldiers, he is not a reliable source. The agents may be jerks, but they are working to stop a terrorist faction (those article clippings we see indicate morpheus is not above blowing up an airport to get attention, as do the instructions on dealing with humans before the Lobby Scene) using child soldiers from attempting genocide on their species (again) AND from dumping however many million/billion souls from the lives they've built up with friends and loved ones into a blasted wasteland where many of them will starve to death or will have their heart give out because their ancestors decided to literally go scorched earth (and good luck finding your spouse, or your child in a crowd of millions of refugees without any contact information).

Plus the agents are willing to negotiate with humans who play nice with them, I have no reason to believe that Smith was planning to backstab Cipher, and indeed if Smith had played fair he had a better chance of helping clear out the resistance entirely and get his wish of not having to be in the Matrix anymore, go back to the real world and download into a squiddie or something. I don't know.

And as for fusion vs. geothermal... Well, there are oceans FULL of hydrogen, and it's not like they need to worry about the long term impact on the biosphere, and someday they can probably just load up all their citizens onto a single storage mechanism and commute themselves to Jupiter or something.

On the Matrix tangent, Golly hit what I wanted to say. It's logical from the perspective of "we have lots of ways to generate energy and there are other things that we care about more than being the most efficient possible at energy generation."

Don't let that get you down. Your love is as real as anyone else's, it's just easy for people to make slips of language without even realizing it, and even when they're trying to help. I definitely know how you feel though: my romantic orientation, my desire for emotional companionship, and my sex drive don't exactly line up on the exact same thing either. It makes life a little harder, but maybe makes you a little stronger for it. :smallsmile:

Athedia
2015-06-29, 04:58 PM
That's great! :D It really feels nice when people around you acknowledge who you are and that your orientation is really 'a thing'. I used to have no one who knew or especially understood what demi was, but now my dad, aunt, cousin (who is bi/pan herself) and some friends do, or at least try. It feels surprisingly nice.

She is still confused, especially about the me wanting kids part (when she asked how I planned to have kids, I may have diagrammed sex with hand gestures). But she is trying.

That is awful!:smallmad: Don't listen to people who say those things, they're not you, don't have your feelings and they don't know what it is like to be ace but not aromantic. Many of them probably don't get 'how someone can be ace' in the first place. You don't need lust to love (romantically). You're the only one who can truly judge what you feel, and no one has the right to stomp on that.

*friendly shoulder pat*

What hurt the most was that it was John Oliver, someone I really respect. I don't listen to most people, but from him it hurt, same thing when my professors say similar things. In both those cases (John Oliver and professors) they often don't realize that what they said is problematic and hurtful.

noparlpf
2015-06-29, 05:09 PM

That's good. My mum is kind of a pain about it. I need to remember to ask my brother to avoid mentioning it (even not in relation to me) around her because she's firmly in the "you never know until you meet the right person" camp and has some kind of weird, convoluted line of reasoning for why it's reasonable to assume that an asexual might not be ace but that a monosexual person isn't bi. It gives me a headache every time.

This happened yesterday in the car. Very bothersome.

She also has some weird ideas about how a romantic relationship has to have proximity ("it shouldn't be called online dating because it's not actually dating if they don't meet") and "intimacy" which is very annoying.

What hurt the most was that it was John Oliver, someone I really respect. I don't listen to most people, but from him it hurt, same thing when my professors say similar things. In both those cases (John Oliver and professors) they often don't realize that what they said is problematic and hurtful.

Pretty much what Anarion said. It's not necessarily intentional, and society is so coded to believe that sex and love are the same thing. At least this guy is clearly making an effort to learn about GSRMs. Maybe you could send in a message or whatever format fan mail comes in these days pointing out the slip and explaining why it bothered you?

Athedia
2015-06-29, 05:13 PM
That's good. My mum is kind of a pain about it. I need to remember to ask my brother to avoid mentioning it (even not in relation to me) around her because she's firmly in the "you never know until you meet the right person" camp and has some kind of weird, convoluted line of reasoning for why it's reasonable to assume that an asexual might not be ace but that a monosexual person isn't bi. It gives me a headache every time.

This happened yesterday in the car. Very bothersome.

She also has some weird ideas about how a romantic relationship has to have proximity ("it shouldn't be called online dating because it's not actually dating if they don't meet") and "intimacy" which is very annoying.

Pretty much what Anarion said. It's not necessarily intentional, and society is so coded to believe that sex and love are the same thing. At least this guy is clearly making an effort to learn about GSRMs. Maybe you could send in a message or whatever format fan mail comes in these days pointing out the slip and explaining why it bothered you?

I sent a short facebook message to the show saying that I know it wasn't intentional, but why it hurt to hear him say that. I will probably send something else tomorrow if I don't get a response.

Anarion
2015-06-29, 06:31 PM
I sent a short facebook message to the show saying that I know it wasn't intentional, but why it hurt to hear him say that. I will probably send something else tomorrow if I don't get a response.

If you do a second, consider an old-fashioned letter with a stamp and make sure the grammar is perfect. As silly as it is, those still get notice in a way that nothing else does when it comes to a big organization. And if you make it rational and linguistically beautiful (so that nobody has an excuse to dismiss you as a crazy person), it might even get into Oliver's hands. No guarantees of course, but that is still the best way to actually reach people.

Athedia
2015-06-29, 06:37 PM
If you do a second, consider an old-fashioned letter with a stamp and make sure the grammar is perfect. As silly as it is, those still get notice in a way that nothing else does when it comes to a big organization. And if you make it rational and linguistically beautiful (so that nobody has an excuse to dismiss you as a crazy person), it might even get into Oliver's hands. No guarantees of course, but that is still the best way to actually reach people.

I probably will do that. I just have to find where the envelopes are these days.

EDIT: Oh, and find the address.

noparlpf
2015-06-29, 08:25 PM
Oh, just saw a photoset of that piece again. I notice these things better reading subtitles than when I'm half-listening, half-playing a game on the other monitor. Hmm, so the specific line is, "Sexual orientation is who [sic] you love." Hmm. I mean, as a dumbed-down definition that doesn't account for disparate sexual and romantic orientations it's not exactly wrong. Most people don't know about asexuality, and most people who know about asexuality don't know about alloromantic asexuals or romantic orientation. I wouldn't necessarily be offended, just disappointed that we still don't have any visibility. So the way to go is to send a polite, well-written letter. Spread awareness and stuff.

Athedia
2015-06-29, 09:04 PM
Oh, just saw a photoset of that piece again. I notice these things better reading subtitles than when I'm half-listening, half-playing a game on the other monitor. Hmm, so the specific line is, "Sexual orientation is who [sic] you love." Hmm. I mean, as a dumbed-down definition that doesn't account for disparate sexual and romantic orientations it's not exactly wrong. Most people don't know about asexuality, and most people who know about asexuality don't know about alloromantic asexuals or romantic orientation. I wouldn't necessarily be offended, just disappointed that we still don't have any visibility. So the way to go is to send a polite, well-written letter. Spread awareness and stuff.

I wasn't offended persay, more bummed that there wasn't visibility.

noparlpf
2015-06-29, 09:11 PM
I wasn't offended persay, more bummed that there wasn't visibility.

Yeah, that's basically every day. :smallfrown:

Athedia
2015-06-29, 09:45 PM

It's easy to forget when your friends are good with it. But then I have to interact with other people *shudders*

Silhitii
2015-06-29, 10:23 PM

I would disagree that this definition isn't wrong, because not only does it ignore the differences between sexual and romantic orientation but it also implies that love=sexual desire. The suggestion that the only type of love worth acknowledging is sexual is quite frustrating. And yeah, the lack of awareness for asexuality can be very disappointing.

Anarion
2015-06-30, 01:11 AM
I would disagree that this definition isn't wrong, because not only does it ignore the differences between sexual and romantic orientation but it also implies that love=sexual desire. The suggestion that the only type of love worth acknowledging is sexual is quite frustrating. And yeah, the lack of awareness for asexuality can be very disappointing.

Oh, no, it's definitely wrong. It's just that for a very significant, possibly overwhelming majority of the population, including most people who are L, B, G, and T, the two perfectly line up. Those of us that have the sexual and emotional/romantic components of love delinked are simply quite rare, so it's understandable and perhaps even forgivable that he would get it wrong. We just need to make people aware of it when it comes up.

Fay Graydon
2015-06-30, 09:11 AM
Hello everyone! wow haven't been here in a while ^w^

JNAProductions
2015-06-30, 12:33 PM
Well, I just had a friend tell me that he believes marriage is from god and therefore he cannot support same sex marriage.

It's a real shame too. I was really happy he had found God in a big way, but if it leads to this... I just don't know.

Coidzor
2015-06-30, 12:43 PM

I'm not allowed to say exactly from what I recall of the Mod post, but I can qualify that position in particular was not quite my position, sorry.

Syless
2015-06-30, 01:07 PM
Well, I just had a friend tell me that he believes marriage is from god and therefore he cannot support same sex marriage.

It's a real shame too. I was really happy he had found God in a big way, but if it leads to this... I just don't know.

Can you still call him a friend with that albatross around his neck?

(the homophobia, not the religion)

CWater
2015-06-30, 01:50 PM

It's easy to forget when your friends are good with it. But then I have to interact with other people *shudders*

Yeah... :/

I have one this kind of friend, or perhaps I should say had now. As long as she didn't behave badly towards anyone or say hurtful things, her views were her own to have, I thought, and she's otherwise a very sweet person. But when she backed the anti-gay marriage petition (to change the law back to only refer to herero couples) and shared it around social media, I've decided to cut ties with her. I realized I have a hard time being friends with someone who supports laws that go against human rights.

JNAProductions
2015-06-30, 02:30 PM

I don't know. I just don't.

Jormengand
2015-06-30, 03:34 PM
Girl scouts decided to turn down $100,000 that came with the stipulation that it wouldn't be used to support transgirls. (http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/06/30/girl-scouts-choose-transgender-girls-over-100000-donation/) They raised the money themselves and stated that “Girl Scouts is for every girl, and every girl should have the opportunity to be a Girl Scout if she wants to. Every girl that is a Girl Scout is a Girl Scout because her parent or guardian brings her to us and says, ‘I want my child to participate,' and I don’t question whether or not they’re a girl.”

JNAProductions
2015-06-30, 03:49 PM
Girl scouts decided to turn down $100,000 that came with the stipulation that it wouldn't be used to support transgirls. (http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/06/30/girl-scouts-choose-transgender-girls-over-100000-donation/) They raised the money themselves and stated that “Girl Scouts is for every girl, and every girl should have the opportunity to be a Girl Scout if she wants to. Every girl that is a Girl Scout is a Girl Scout because her parent or guardian brings her to us and says, ‘I want my child to participate,' and I don’t question whether or not they’re a girl.”

*Applause*

Good for them! That's some really awesome news.

BladeofObliviom
2015-06-30, 04:01 PM

Oh wow, that is awesome. I also like the detail about having managed to recoup that huge donation in literally a single day; it's great to see such an outpouring of support, and it's even better to see a good deed rewarded so thoroughly and immediately. :smallsmile:

Athedia
2015-06-30, 04:09 PM
I left girl scouts in middle school but that was most because my troop leader was ill and could no longer run it. The ones that offered to take us in were farther away than my parents could take me. It was pretty good.

CWater
2015-06-30, 04:14 PM
Oh wow, that is awesome. I also like the detail about having managed to recoup that huge donation in literally a single day; it's great to see such an outpouring of support, and it's even better to see a good deed rewarded so thoroughly and immediately. :smallsmile:

Seconded:smallsmile:

noparlpf
2015-06-30, 05:09 PM
Girls Scouts seems like a pretty decent organization.

Silhitii
2015-06-30, 05:13 PM

That is awesome! It's fantastic how inclusive the Girl Scouts aim to be :smallbiggrin:

THEChanger
2015-07-01, 03:22 AM
Well. The time is 4:22 AM, I can't sleep, and I've been thinking about this for too long.

Hello all. My name is Sean. My handle is THEChanger, or Changer. I've never posted in one of these threads, though I've poked my head in multiple times. But considering the recent events in the good old US of A, I figure now is as good a time as any. My stomach feels like it's going to turn over and my eyes are starting to get wet. Didn't think this would be so hard.

But I should tell you all. I want to tell you all. The Playground has been an big part of my life for awhile now. So I want to be open about who I am.

I am pansexual and polyamorous. There are a few people who know. But. I guess now you all know. :smallredface:

Since I'm here, I'd like to offer my congratulations to Jormengand. That is wonderful news.

Serpentine
2015-07-01, 06:18 AM
I just overheard a middle aged man (in a cloak...) explain to a little boy what transsexuality is. I missed how it came up, but it seemed like he did a pretty good job in a couple of sentences :smallsmile:

Threadnaught
2015-07-01, 08:38 AM

If someone doesn't give you their full support no matter what, how can you call them your friend?

JNAProductions
2015-07-01, 09:34 AM
I guess part of what it is is that I'm kinda afraid of being alone. I barely have any friends, so if I drop these guys...

I know I probably should. It's just dificult.

Athedia
2015-07-01, 09:48 AM
If someone doesn't give you their full support no matter what, how can you call them your friend?

Being friends with someone and having agreement that topics are off limits is still healthy. Some of my best friends know there are things I can not support them on, that I can't bring up on the forum. But we still get along fine. It is when they fail to give respect not support that they aren't a friend

Threadnaught
2015-07-01, 10:04 AM
{scrubbed}

Heliomance
2015-07-01, 10:10 AM
{scrubbed}

That's veering dangerously close to the religion ban, so I can't give you as much of a rebuttal as I'd like. Suffice it to say that Christianity is not unavoidably incompatible with homosexuality.

Jormengand
2015-07-01, 10:18 AM
Yeah, you guys gonna not keep talking openly about religion? Thanks.

Threadnaught
2015-07-01, 10:30 AM
{scrubbed}

Athedia
2015-07-01, 10:54 AM
{scrubbed}
The book isn't hateful, a certain groups interpretation is. Just like my experience of intolerance about asexuality in the LGBT community isn't representative of everyone in that community, just a few groups that ruin it for the rest of us.

CWater
2015-07-01, 11:57 AM
I would really like to comment on this, but guess it would not be possible without breaking forum rules.

Of another subject, if one wanted to present as agender, do you have ideas how one could go about that?

Heliomance
2015-07-01, 12:10 PM
I would really like to comment on this, but guess it would not be possible without breaking forum rules.

Of another subject, if one wanted to present as agender, do you have ideas how one could go about that?

It's hard. I went through a phase of trying to present totally androgynous - not quite the same, but similar. It's very hard to cut out all gendered cues. People will sort you into one category or the other at a glance, and it's very hard to not give any clues to let them do so at all.

Anarion
2015-07-01, 12:29 PM
I don't know. I just don't.

In my opinion, yes, the person is still your friend. And you should make every effort to keep it that way. There is a tension present there, perhaps one that is difficult for both of you. But tension isn't always a bad thing. Sometimes tension is what makes people think, or changes their views. This friend of yours may go on being friends with you and come to a point where he's thinking "I believe that gay marriage is wrong, yet I know this person who I like and trust that thinks differently." Or he may never reach that point of conflict and simply be friends with you while having a taboo subject. That's still a friend worth having, especially if he might defend you in the future despite thinking some of your views are wrong.

Well. The time is 4:22 AM, I can't sleep, and I've been thinking about this for too long.

Hello all. My name is Sean. My handle is THEChanger, or Changer. I've never posted in one of these threads, though I've poked my head in multiple times. But considering the recent events in the good old US of A, I figure now is as good a time as any. My stomach feels like it's going to turn over and my eyes are starting to get wet. Didn't think this would be so hard.

But I should tell you all. I want to tell you all. The Playground has been an big part of my life for awhile now. So I want to be open about who I am.

I am pansexual and polyamorous. There are a few people who know. But. I guess now you all know. :smallredface:

Since I'm here, I'd like to offer my congratulations to Jormengand. That is wonderful news.

Welcome, thanks for coming. Anything you'd like to talk about or need support on? If not, enjoy the conversation and feel free to jump in as you see fit.

{scrubbed}

I thought that the first post was actually sarcastic. There are lots of times when being a friend means not supporting someone doing something stupid. And plenty of friends disagree about more mundane things. I might disagree with someone about how they keep their finances or why they have an incredibly ugly couch and refuse to replace it. We can still be friends. Even very fundamental issues like LGBT acceptance can still be. Your second comment, unfortunately, makes me think you are not being sarcastic at all, and I think you should reconsider your views.

Well, loose clothing and short but not too short hair probably help. I'm not sure it's actually possible since the average member of society is going to attempt to pick a pronoun, but you might be able to get to the point where someone can't tell and hesitates. Is this an attempt to present a certain way for friends and associates, or to strangers?

Xihirli
2015-07-01, 12:36 PM

I know an agender person. All I'm aware of is that they changed their profile and specified the pronouns they were using (singular "they"). Before that, they identified as non-binary not specific, though, so it wasn't much of a change.

Astrella
2015-07-01, 01:49 PM
So I wore a dress last sunday for the first time in like a year, ignore the dorky expression:

http://40.media.tumblr.com/82771fa9cbe9c0f1255f796a9e3091bd/tumblr_nqrx5c6Jsk1rt174yo1_1280.jpg

Grytorm
2015-07-01, 01:53 PM
Well I realized today I have been forgetting tot take my antidepressants for a few days. Felt pretty low because of that I guess.

CWater
2015-07-01, 02:11 PM

Missed you introduction for some reason -_-' Welcome!!:smallsmile:

It's hard. I went through a phase of trying to present totally androgynous - not quite the same, but similar. It's very hard to cut out all gendered cues. People will sort you into one category or the other at a glance, and it's very hard to not give any clues to let them do so at all.

Well, loose clothing and short but not too short hair probably help. I'm not sure it's actually possible since the average member of society is going to attempt to pick a pronoun, but you might be able to get to the point where someone can't tell and hesitates. Is this an attempt to present a certain way for friends and associates, or to strangers?
I don't know really yet... I'm only just started to consider it. I've long had trouble in properly identifying myself as a 'woman', but if that is more that I reject some of the stereotypes and characteristics assosiated with it, or the gender itself, I... don't know. What does being a 'woman' even mean, really? How do you classify that? How do you know if you are one or not? These are questions I've been pondering lately.

I've had some bodily dysphoria in my life, but nowadays I've come to terms with my body as is (well, I do wish I was in better shape, but don't we all :J ), even if it is, uh, frustratingly obviously female. I still sometimes have thoughts (the frequency varies) that it could be nice to have a body with no sexual characteristics at all, but as it is not even a realistic option, I try not to think about it.

Been thinking about getting a haircut though. The thing is, my face is kind of round, so I'm afraid that short hair would look bad. >_> Thanks for the replies, sorry for ranting this long.

I know an agender person. All I'm aware of is that they changed their profile and specified the pronouns they were using (singular "they"). Before that, they identified as non-binary not specific, though, so it wasn't much of a change.

I don't have a problem with female pronouns, I'm okay with being a 'she', if for no other reason that I'm used to it. (And Finnish language has only one gender neutral pronoun anyway, so it doesn't come up much in everyday life here.)

So I wore a dress last sunday for the first time in like a year, ignore the dorky expression:

I admit I know next to nothing about clothing styles, but I think the dress looks very nice on you!:smallsmile:

BladeofObliviom
2015-07-01, 02:19 PM
I don't know really yet... I'm only just started to consider it. I've long had trouble in properly identifying myself as a 'woman', but if that is more that I reject some of the stereotypes and characteristics associated with it, or the gender itself, I... don't know. What does being a 'woman' even mean, really? How do you classify that? How do you know if you are one or not? These are questions I've been pondering lately.

On this subject, I've found that at least for me, the more I poke at ideas like "masculinity" and "femininity", the more ethereal and meaningless they seem. That said, I might simply be a person with a weak gender identity who happens to be sort of cisgender by default, so both of these things might well mean significantly less to me than they would to a person with a stronger gender identity.

Lord Raziere
2015-07-01, 02:31 PM
merp, that "weak gender identity" thing is hard for me, because on one hand, the labels seem meaningless. on the other hand I think I'm transgender lesbian. so either the labels don't matter that much and my thinking is just some stupid fancy of mine, or it matters more than I think, but don't care enough to actually make it matter to me. its weird. how can I both think this kind of thing is not all that meaningful yet at the same time think of myself as such a thing?

JusticeZero
2015-07-01, 02:49 PM
They are very ethereal, but people are wired for one or the other usually.. which mostly seems to mean that they are wired to recognize people who are one of the two, identify as that one, and mimic it. Some people are more strongly wired that way than others. It links to language and stuff. As long as it is working and pointing at the usual suspect, it can be very weak and it doesn't matter. As soon as it starts pitching error messages or the gender that society disagrees with, it starts to be an issue for people.

Coidzor
2015-07-01, 02:55 PM
{scrubbed}

No, it's the way they actually view and treat sexual minorities, not that a given book can be read as having a condemnation of them which they may or may not just completely ignore or not care about.

http://40.media.tumblr.com/82771fa9cbe9c0f1255f796a9e3091bd/tumblr_nqrx5c6Jsk1rt174yo1_1280.jpg

Nice dress. Nice hair stylin'. :smallsmile:

It's tough. And it's come up a few times. You're actively working against the basic level of human impulse and categorization when encountering new people, after all, and the odds are against you, since any gender you were mentally assigned by someone else's subconscious would be misgendering.

Well I realized today I have been forgetting tot take my antidepressants for a few days. Felt pretty low because of that I guess.

Do you have one of those 1 week pill reminder dividers? Should be able to get one for about 3-5 bucks at any pharmacy if you think it'll help.

Mostly though it's remembering to form a habit.

Anarion
2015-07-01, 05:09 PM
merp, that "weak gender identity" thing is hard for me, because on one hand, the labels seem meaningless. on the other hand I think I'm transgender lesbian. so either the labels don't matter that much and my thinking is just some stupid fancy of mine, or it matters more than I think, but don't care enough to actually make it matter to me. its weird. how can I both think this kind of thing is not all that meaningful yet at the same time think of myself as such a thing?

I really think it's a question of use. The labels are very effective when you're trying to discuss yourself with others or otherwise interact. Want to narrow your dating pool to people who would be interested in getting to know you? Use a couple labels. Want to ask for advice from people? A label or two makes for a good starting point.

But the labels are inherently incomplete. Any kind of rigorous analysis makes them start falling apart very quickly because all they really are is a bundle of sticks that usually go to together. Once you start pulling sticks out of that bundle, the whole thing collapses. How many sticks are even required before you can call it a "bundle" anyway?

What i think that means is that the label is good for shorthand. Anytime you want to say "I am [X]" and you don't have the time for a 20 minute conversation, they do you a favor. But when you want to discuss yourself or go into detail with people you know and care about, the labels are totally useless. All that really matters is what you want to do and how you want people to treat you, and that particular bundle of sticks is unique for everyone.

Psyren
2015-07-01, 06:28 PM
Humans are wired for labels, and they are not inherently bad. It's very easy to use them to be exclusionary though.

To put an older topic to bed:

*Ahem* On topic now, does anyone else watch Last Week Tonight? The main story (which is posted on youtube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmoAX9f6MOc)) is all about Trans Rights. Trigger warning, frank discussion of transphobia, but he's firmly on the side of "STOP DOING THAT TO THE TRANS FOLKS YOU MONSTERS!"

On the Matrix tangent, Golly hit what I wanted to say. It's logical from the perspective of "we have lots of ways to generate energy and there are other things that we care about more than being the most efficient possible at energy generation."

I'm willing to accept "Morpheus was talking out of his ass" as an explanation, but to bring this all home, you could simply apply that same logic to Lucy - neither she nor Morgan Freeman understand how the drug actually works (and, by the time she achieves the universal consciousness to understand it properly, she has bigger things to worry about than correcting some pop-science junk meme,) So in short, it's poorly-explained in-universe to make the plot go and it shouldn't matter to our enjoyment of the piece, we can set the inconsistency aside.

I thought that the first post was actually sarcastic. There are lots of times when being a friend means not supporting someone doing something stupid. And plenty of friends disagree about more mundane things. I might disagree with someone about how they keep their finances or why they have an incredibly ugly couch and refuse to replace it. We can still be friends. Even very fundamental issues like LGBT acceptance can still be. Your second comment, unfortunately, makes me think you are not being sarcastic at all, and I think you should reconsider your views.

Basically this.

Pretty!

golentan
2015-07-01, 06:53 PM
I'm willing to accept "Morpheus was talking out of his ass" as an explanation, but to bring this all home, you could simply apply that same logic to Lucy - neither she nor Morgan Freeman understand how the drug actually works (and, by the time she achieves the universal consciousness to understand it properly, she has bigger things to worry about than correcting some pop-science junk meme,) So in short, it's poorly-explained in-universe to make the plot go and it shouldn't matter to our enjoyment of the piece, we can set the inconsistency aside.

The difference is in the Matrix we know that Morpheus is an unabashed partisan, and his speech contains all the elements required to make the machines the good guys if you look at it through that lens. From the moment he says "combined with a form of fusion" he's hung himself, because he has perfectly explained away the plot hole, the plot hole only exists if you accept him at face value AND ignore that line.

Lucy we'd still need an actual explanation for something that doesn't make sense to begin with.

Grytorm
2015-07-01, 06:59 PM

Looking nice, (what is the name"Tamsim" I think I have seen it in referring to you several times before), as cute as I remember.

Psyren
2015-07-01, 07:09 PM
Lucy we'd still need an actual explanation for something that doesn't make sense to begin with.

You don't need an explanation any more than you need to know what exactly he means by "a form of fusion." :smalltongue:

I just overheard a middle aged man (in a cloak...) explain to a little boy what transsexuality is. I missed how it came up, but it seemed like he did a pretty good job in a couple of sentences :smallsmile:

Tolerus Maximus!

Athedia
2015-07-01, 07:18 PM
You don't need an explanation any more than you need to know what exactly he means by "a form of fusion." :smalltongue:

But see, we can hypothesize about types of fusion, a good chunk is known about that. There is no way to "unlock the brains power", unless you mean dump a bunch of neurotransmitters in which case, that would kill you. Dead. VERY DEAD. (I was writing a horror story about a vampire like creature who lives on neurotransmitters and went to my advisor on what exactly would happen). Brain chemistry is a very... tricky... thing to mess with. Most things that aren't extremely small changes kill you. Dead. There is a theme here somewhere.

Not even getting into the "she would literally tear herself apart with some of those stunts" part of the whole thing. Which by the way would kill her. Dead.

golentan
2015-07-01, 07:37 PM

I'm presuming that they're using hydrogen to helium fusion, being the most energy to mass dense form of fuel known to theoretical science short of total matter to energy annihilation: the dream of cold fusion may yet be beyond them, but if they've got hot fusion that's probably good enough. All they need is a source of hydrogen: if they're cracking water with electrolysis to get hydrogen and oxygen (incidentally also a good way to keep their human pets alive in the absence of photosynthetic plants), they would have a source of it that should be more sustainable than solar power (the hydrogen in the ocean if used as a fuel source for a civilization with comparable power needs to earth today would last about 150 billion years, which is well past the life expectancy of the sun (5 billion years) or the earth (incinerated when the sun converts to helium fusion and expands). But I think it's probably foolish to plan more than a couple million years ahead at this juncture, their civilization is maybe 300 years old, you know, and I don't expect a day old infant to have put any thought into their retirement fund so they can hang up their hat at 65...

Whereas Lucy, they give us a plot hole with no explanation that makes sense. And granted, you can have fun with it, but I really like my movies to make sense.

SaintRidley
2015-07-01, 07:38 PM
Greetings, assorted queer folk! Just wanted to pop in to give hugs and fist bumps over recent news. One thing down, a lot more (but slightly less than before) to go.

Happy days and much love to you all!

Psyren
2015-07-01, 07:43 PM
We're getting off-topic so I'll sum up:

But see, we can hypothesize about types of fusion, a good chunk is known about that. There is no way to "unlock the brains power", unless you mean dump a bunch of neurotransmitters in which case, that would kill you. Dead. VERY DEAD. (I was writing a horror story about a vampire like creature who lives on neurotransmitters and went to my advisor on what exactly would happen). Brain chemistry is a very... tricky... thing to mess with. Most things that aren't extremely small changes kill you. Dead. There is a theme here somewhere.

Not even getting into the "she would literally tear herself apart with some of those stunts" part of the whole thing. Which by the way would kill her. Dead.

There was a time when attempting a heart transplant would kill you Dead. Very Dead. All that means is the science isn't there yet, but the whole point of speculative fiction is to get to a point where the science Is There, so you can ask "what if." Whether or not the magic drug works exactly the way Morgan Freeman thinks it does is besides the point.

First part of this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTwfLPLDnb0) is basically my take on it.

Greetings, assorted queer folk! Just wanted to pop in to give hugs and fist bumps over recent news. One thing down, a lot more (but slightly less than before) to go.

Happy days and much love to you all!

Fist bumps and hugs from allies are always appreciated :smallsmile:

JNAProductions
2015-07-01, 07:58 PM

You look fantastic!

On the subject of my friend who's against gay marriage... I ended up ending the friendship. We've been drifting apart a while, and this was just kinda the last straw. I'm more alone than ever now, but I guess I'm better off?

Threadnaught
2015-07-01, 08:39 PM
I'm more alone than ever now, but I guess I'm better off?

Physically and likely geographically true.

Look at the bigger picture, it's the only way to avoid feeling completely alone. As long as you have an internet connection, you'll have access to a pretty decent substitute to offline friendship, and even though you lost a friend, you could always make real friends.

JNAProductions
2015-07-01, 08:41 PM
*Hugs everyone on the thread*

Thanks for being here for me. And for everyone else.

Athedia
2015-07-01, 09:11 PM
Just a pro-tip for everyone. Don't make ever meal you eat for the entire day be cherries. They tasted so good....

noparlpf
2015-07-01, 09:29 PM

You look pretty good there.

That stinks. Any way to make it harder to forget? Personally if I forget I get some nasty withdrawal midafternoon but that's a bad mechanism for remembering. Now I just leave my pills next to the bathroom sink hane and put my contacts case on top of my pill bottle every night.

SaintRidley
2015-07-01, 09:42 PM
Well, some more good news (gee, that happened quick). In the U.S. trans people just got some major support for their right to use the bathroom matching their gender identity (http://www.13newsnow.com/story/news/local/2015/07/01/doj-students-gender-identity-determines-restroom-use/29558163/).

Grytorm
2015-07-01, 09:47 PM
I normally remember, and I keep them by the sink normally. But whenever other people spend a lot of time in my personal space (my family has new doors) I put them away with most other small things I keep by the sink. And then I forget to take them back out. Going to get back on schedule though.

Also today I just realized how much anxiety I have around socialization. Every time I send a message to someone after a few days I become afraid that I have said something offensive or boring or annoying and that they won't want to talk to me again. And then a little later when I do get a reply I am afraid they will tell me in the message that they don't really like me.

And then I have a friend who is always really happy to see me. But never really responds to messages on Facebook. Which is annoying because they are generally one of my few friends, and it makes me feel really lonely when I have tried to reach her 7 times since her last response. And then I start worrying about being kind of creepy and kind of weirdly stalking her or something.

Haruki-kun
2015-07-01, 10:13 PM
The Winged Mod: Closed for review.

EDIT: Re-opened upon review. Please avoid Religion, guys.

Absol197
2015-07-01, 10:43 PM
Hi everybody! I'm sorry I've been away. I feel horrible that I haven't been around recently. As always, I'm going to promise that I'll try harder to be here, and as always, this'll probably be the last you hear from me for a while. But I am going to try!

So, a few congratulations are in order!

First, Jor! Congrats on the engagement! I wish you and (all) your partner(s) the best of luck!

Also, Ashleigh! Congrats on finding your name! I don't know how long ago that happened (see above, about me not being here for a while), but congratulations all the same!

Also:

I probably will do that. I just have to find where the envelopes are these days.

EDIT: Oh, and find the address.

As a writer who now also professionally employed as a letter writer, let me know if you need any help in writing your letter, and I will help. I...don't think I have much spae in my PM inbox, but if you're interested let me know :smallsmile: .

Also Lena...:smallfrown::smallfrown::smallfrown:

I'm so sorry you're having such a hard time. Please know that I believe in you, and that I think you're very pretty. I know I'm not on Skype very much, but anytime you see me and you need to talk, please get in touch.

And that dress looks adorable!

----------

So, me. I have my SRS happening in exactly 40 days! I am simultaneously hyper excited, and hyper nervous. Excited to finally be free from, uh...well, you know. Nervous because I'm worried about the recovery period, and also about the results.

And slightly nervous about having to stop my anti-androgens and reduce my estrogens, even though it's only for two weeks, I'm still at a point where masculinization is happening, so it's scary...

Anyway, there are happy times, so I wanted to say hi to all my friends that I haven't talked to in a while :smallsmile: !

~Phee~

EDIT: Oh, und Juniper! Wie geht's? I've missed you! Being in drastically different time zones makes it really hard to talk!

Psyren
2015-07-01, 11:16 PM
On the subject of my friend who's against gay marriage... I ended up ending the friendship. We've been drifting apart a while, and this was just kinda the last straw. I'm more alone than ever now, but I guess I'm better off?

It may be time for a change of scenery. See if you can visit a new city, then find some folks who share your interests on Meetup. If you hit it off, take the plunge. (Or if you already have a place in mind that would be a good fit, just move there and then meet people.)

JNAProductions
2015-07-01, 11:17 PM
I'm only 18. Hard to move out, but I do have college in a few months.

What's Meetup?

Lissou
2015-07-01, 11:17 PM
*hugs JNA*

Congrats, Absol! That must be really exciting :)

Psyren
2015-07-01, 11:21 PM

Perfect, that's all you need then. Stick it out till you get there and you'll have more friends in no time. Join clubs and student groups.

What's Meetup?

This is Meetup (http://www.meetup.com/), and you might even be able to use it at college as well (some student groups don't advertise as widely/conventionally.) Though I would go through your college's student organizations first.

I assume being here you at least have a passing interest in tabletop gaming - that site is a great way to meet people.

golentan
2015-07-01, 11:58 PM
Perfect, that's all you need then. Stick it out till you get there and you'll have more friends in no time. Join clubs and student groups.

'S true. I didn't make any lasting friends until college, and then within a month I had three. We still get together every chance we get a decade or so on.

Heliomance
2015-07-02, 01:50 AM
Looking nice, (what is the name"Tamsim" I think I have seen it in referring to you several times before), as cute as I remember.

I'm Tamsin, that's Lena.

Charing Cross to see the endocrinologist today! Hopefully I'll get at least my anti-androgens increased.

Anarion
2015-07-02, 03:18 AM

That's sad. I'm sorry to hear that it didn't work out and you lost a friend over all of this. It's not a fun experience at all. My PM box is open if you ever want to talk. About anything, really.

Well, some more good news (gee, that happened quick). In the U.S. trans people just got some major support for their right to use the bathroom matching their gender identity (http://www.13newsnow.com/story/news/local/2015/07/01/doj-students-gender-identity-determines-restroom-use/29558163/).

I saw that. It's great news.

The Winged Mod: Closed for review.

EDIT: Re-opened upon review. Please avoid Religion, guys.

You, sir, are a speed demon angel, at thread reviewing.

You're young yet, so hang in there. Moving out is a pretty big change. There are lots of people who are alone or lonely and lots of opportunities to get involved in cool stuff. The best piece of advice I can give you is don't look to meet people. Meeting people is super scary and you set up all these dumb expectations that are hard to meet. Instead, look to do fun things. Play music if you're into that. Join a language or ethnic club if that's important to you. Get into sports if you like that. Join the college gym if you like working out. Learn to dance, perhaps. There are tons of activities at any school, so pick what you find fun and go find places to do it. The cool people will be there.

Astrella
2015-07-02, 04:20 AM
Thanks everyone for the nice words. :)

golentan
2015-07-02, 11:12 AM
Advice coming from a place of ignorance is awful... My boss keeps offering me advice for my relationship with Miraqariftsky, unsolicited and unwanted, and without understanding of our situation... And he keeps stabbing some old sore spots, and twisting the knife unknowingly.

I've tried to explain that there are things I won't explain and his advice is invalid, but he keeps giving it every time we have a meeting. It's... really frustrating.

Syless
2015-07-02, 11:36 AM
So apparently the new Fire Emblem has a lesbian character that you (as a guy) can literally drug into finding you attractive (http://pastebin.com/bgQC0yEa) (link to text of the relevant dialogue). This is... very not okay.

BladeofObliviom
2015-07-02, 12:02 PM
So apparently the new Fire Emblem has a lesbian character that you (as a guy) can literally drug into finding you attractive (http://pastebin.com/bgQC0yEa) (link to text of the relevant dialogue). This is... very not okay.

In all fairness the "drug" in question appears to be some kind of illusory R63 magic powder, as opposed to some judgment-impairing chemical. Not that the writing isn't problematic in about half a dozen other ways, though...

(Inexplicable fainting at the sight of attractive people(?), it's still not okay to just add stuff to people's drinks without asking regardless, everything about the "getting closer" training (even if she seems to warm up to the idea a little, I can't help but notice the lack of any attempt to check consent or ask for permission...), I'd try to tackle that last scene but there's so much wrong that I don't even know where to start. :smallconfused:)

Psyren
2015-07-02, 12:18 PM
Advice coming from a place of ignorance is awful... My boss keeps offering me advice for my relationship with Miraqariftsky, unsolicited and unwanted, and without understanding of our situation... And he keeps stabbing some old sore spots, and twisting the knife unknowingly.

I've tried to explain that there are things I won't explain and his advice is invalid, but he keeps giving it every time we have a meeting. It's... really frustrating.

While I don't know the background behind this, "I appreciate your concern but I'd prefer to keep my personal life and professional life separate" should be enough to curtail any unsolicited advice. If he has any salt as a manager whatsoever he'll drop it there. If not, and it gets egregious enough, you may have to get HR involved (if you have such a thing) or possibly even a lawyer (which I cannot advise you on further.)

KillingAScarab
2015-07-02, 12:20 PM

In all fairness the "drug" in question appears to be some kind of illusory R63 magic powder, as opposed to some judgment-impairing chemical. Not that the writing isn't problematic in about half a dozen other ways, though...

(Inexplicable fainting at the sight of attractive people(?), it's still not okay to just add stuff to people's drinks without asking regardless, everything about the "getting closer" training (even if she seems to warm up to the idea a little, I can't help but notice the lack of any attempt to check consent or ask for permission...), I'd try to tackle that last scene but there's so much wrong that I don't even know where to start. :smallconfused:)

I just posted about this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?425390-Serious-issues-with-Nintendo-s-Fire-Emblem-if-Fire-Emblem-Fates) over in Gaming (Other) about an hour ago, took my sweet time trying to figure out where best to post.

The person who holds the Twitter account I reference ( @Andrea_Ritsu ) has received a lot of negative feedback, from attacks for accuracy to outright denial and now she states there have been death threats. From what I'm gathering from her tweets, this is outweighing any positive feedback at a time when she was already depressed regarding her transition.

I know this topic is intended to support forum members, but if anyone can provide some kind words, I think now would be a good time. I'm cisgendered male, heterosexual, and frankly I think there's a lot I don't know how to respond to even if time currently permitted. : /

golentan
2015-07-02, 12:20 PM
While I don't know the background behind this, "I appreciate your concern but I'd prefer to keep my personal life and professional life separate" should be enough to curtail any unsolicited advice. If he has any salt as a manager whatsoever he'll drop it there. If not, and it gets egregious enough, you may have to get HR involved (if you have such a thing) or possibly even a lawyer (which I cannot advise you on further.)

It's me and two other employees, and he's a 70 year old man with mental health issues. I really don't want to do something that would hurt him, but I want him to STOP TALKING ABOUT THIS ISSUE.

Psyren
2015-07-02, 12:30 PM
Errrrrr, shouldn't he have retired already? :smallconfused:

His age aside though, the same advice applies - ask him (politely) to stop, and escalate if he doesn't, keeping in mind that you could be facing retaliation as a result and making the decision as prudently/intelligently as possible, so have an exit strategy in mind.

Or if he's due to retire soon, just do your best to avoid him until then I guess.

Syless
2015-07-02, 12:46 PM

It's a double-punch of the same problems with any love potion plot mixed with forced invalidation of someone's sexuality, the fact that it's played off humorously just makes it worse.

I just posted about this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?425390-Serious-issues-with-Nintendo-s-Fire-Emblem-if-Fire-Emblem-Fates) over in Gaming (Other) about an hour ago, took my sweet time trying to figure out where best to post.

The person who holds the Twitter account I reference ( @Andrea_Ritsu ) has received a lot of negative feedback, from attacks for accuracy to outright denial and now she states there have been death threats. From what I'm gathering from her tweets, this is outweighing any positive feedback at a time when she was already depressed regarding her transition.

I know this topic is intended to support forum members, but if anyone can provide some kind words, I think now would be a good time. I'm cisgendered male, heterosexual, and frankly I think there's a lot I don't know how to respond to even if time currently permitted. : /

Ugh. I really hate the internet sometimes. I'd send her support through Tumblr (where I saw it to begin with), but she's quite rightly stopped accepting asks for now.

Lycunadari
2015-07-02, 01:20 PM
----------

So, me. I have my SRS happening in exactly 40 days! I am simultaneously hyper excited, and hyper nervous. Excited to finally be free from, uh...well, you know. Nervous because I'm worried about the recovery period, and also about the results.

And slightly nervous about having to stop my anti-androgens and reduce my estrogens, even though it's only for two weeks, I'm still at a point where masculinization is happening, so it's scary...

Anyway, there are happy times, so I wanted to say hi to all my friends that I haven't talked to in a while :smallsmile: !

~Phee~

EDIT: Oh, und Juniper! Wie geht's? I've missed you! Being in drastically different time zones makes it really hard to talk!
Phee! *glomps* :smallsmile: I missed you too! We really need to find a way to talk more often, stupid time zones! I'm really happy and exited for you~

I'm okay-ish, I guess. I'm finally starting to make friends at uni, but I'm super awkward (like, "running away because I'm not used to that level of social interaction anymore and it's too much" levels of awkward). I'm really worried about my grandpa, at this point I'm mostly just hoping he'll live long enough for me to visit him after the semester is over (so three weeks). I'm seeing a therapist every two weeks, and my mental health has generally been pretty good lately, though the last few days were worse, mostly because of worrying. Uni is mostly good, plant identification is fun, animal dissecting less so (but still interesting, even if I don't like it). I'm painting a lot, and someday in the next couple of years I might even finish the story I'm currently writing. :smalltongue:

It's me and two other employees, and he's a 70 year old man with mental health issues. I really don't want to do something that would hurt him, but I want him to STOP TALKING ABOUT THIS ISSUE.
Maybe actually writing down that you don't need his advise and sending him a letter/email would work? I don't know how close your work relationship is (but I guess pretty close if you're only four people and he feels like it's appropriate to give relationship advise), but can you tell him (and would he care) that he is actively upsetting you and making working with him unpleasant?

Otherwise there's probably not much you can do besides telling him of every time he brings it up and then ignoring everything he says on the topic (as long as you won't get into trouble for disrespecting your boss.)

Absol197
2015-07-02, 03:14 PM
Phee! *glomps* :smallsmile: I missed you too! We really need to find a way to talk more often, stupid time zones! I'm really happy and exited for you~

I'm okay-ish, I guess. I'm finally starting to make friends at uni, but I'm super awkward (like, "running away because I'm not used to that level of social interaction anymore and it's too much" levels of awkward). I'm really worried about my grandpa, at this point I'm mostly just hoping he'll live long enough for me to visit him after the semester is over (so three weeks). I'm seeing a therapist every two weeks, and my mental health has generally been pretty good lately, though the last few days were worse, mostly because of worrying. Uni is mostly good, plant identification is fun, animal dissecting less so (but still interesting, even if I don't like it). I'm painting a lot, and someday in the next couple of years I might even finish the story I'm currently writing. :smalltongue:

Thanks :smallredface: ~ Like I said, it's simultaneously scary and exciting and nerve-wracking, with an added dose of feeling like it's soemthing that's still not even going to happen. I mean, I never realized how long 40 days is! That's like forever!

I'll try and be online as much as possible tomorrow (it's a holiday here), so get in touch!

Also, many many *hugs* with the social problems. That sounds awful! :smallfrown: But your classes sound nice! What are you studying?

~Phee~

Dragonrider
2015-07-02, 03:50 PM
Hey Playground... I haven't been back in ages (AGAIN) but I've been thinking really fondly of this space lately because (I've said this before) as a teenager raised in a smalltown in a super religious socially conservative environment, when I got to the Playground I'd really had no exposure to queer ideas at all. At 16-17 even though I was really resistant to it GitP really opened my mind to the idea that you could be a good person and also be queer and that it wasn't weird or bad or crazy. I had some idea that I might be one of Those People and even though I continued being freaked out and in denial about it right up to the time I met the Girl, having been around here and absorbing ideas and knowledge for a few years made a huge difference. And in case I haven't said it enough freaking times, we've been together five years and now we're getting married next year!! :smallbiggrin:

So anyway a week after the Supreme Court decision (oh man were we crying when we turned on the radio last Friday) I am feeling super sentimental and like coming full circle back to this place, having lurked but never ever posted in this thread, and saying thanks, Playground, for teaching me about things like spectrums and acronyms. :smalltongue: And thank goodness for a happy ending (well not ending) for me, partly because of all you guys.

BIG SENTIMENTAL HUGS

That's all.

Ifni
2015-07-02, 04:39 PM
And in case I haven't said it enough freaking times, we've been together five years and now we're getting married next year!! :smallbiggrin:

Congratulations to you and your wife-to-be! :smallbiggrin:

noparlpf
2015-07-02, 11:22 PM

I had heard conflicting rumors (as of early this morningyesterday morning, I guess it's after midnight now) so I'm really, really hoping it's a hoax. Really hoping. I don't think it's a hoax but I'm too tired to handle that **** right now so that can be tomorrow-me's problem.

Grytorm
2015-07-03, 12:16 AM
I'm Tamsin, that's Lena.

Charing Cross to see the endocrinologist today! Hopefully I'll get at least my anti-androgens increased.

Sorry to the both of you then. I do think I get the two of you mixed up a little, but that is because you both are such nice people. Or something. Sorry for getting you a bit confused.

Heliomance
2015-07-03, 12:59 AM
So I've had my dose of hormones doubled! *boogies*

Syless
2015-07-03, 01:09 AM
I had heard conflicting rumors (as of early this morningyesterday morning, I guess it's after midnight now) so I'm really, really hoping it's a hoax. Really hoping. I don't think it's a hoax but I'm too tired to handle that **** right now so that can be tomorrow-me's problem.

There are recordings of the scenes in question (in Japanese) online, so the curious (who are fluent in Japanese) can independently verify the logs as accurate.

Congrats! I hope they accelerate the changes you're aiming for.

Dire Moose
2015-07-03, 01:20 AM
Hey Playground... I haven't been back in ages (AGAIN) but I've been thinking really fondly of this space lately because (I've said this before) as a teenager raised in a smalltown in a super religious socially conservative environment, when I got to the Playground I'd really had no exposure to queer ideas at all. At 16-17 even though I was really resistant to it GitP really opened my mind to the idea that you could be a good person and also be queer and that it wasn't weird or bad or crazy. I had some idea that I might be one of Those People and even though I continued being freaked out and in denial about it right up to the time I met the Girl, having been around here and absorbing ideas and knowledge for a few years made a huge difference. And in case I haven't said it enough freaking times, we've been together five years and now we're getting married next year!! :smallbiggrin:

So anyway a week after the Supreme Court decision (oh man were we crying when we turned on the radio last Friday) I am feeling super sentimental and like coming full circle back to this place, having lurked but never ever posted in this thread, and saying thanks, Playground, for teaching me about things like spectrums and acronyms. :smalltongue: And thank goodness for a happy ending (well not ending) for me, partly because of all you guys.

BIG SENTIMENTAL HUGS

That's all.

Awww, congratulations, Dragonrider! *hugs back*

Astrella
2015-07-03, 01:35 AM
Does anyone here still read Rain?

If Kellen did this, then just, this is abuse of the highest grade and makes heer completely irredeemable in my eyes, it's essentially assault.

Lissou
2015-07-03, 01:47 AM
Yeah, at first I didn't see it as a huge deal (the act itself. The way she did it, in the middle of the night on someone unconscious, is still really bad) because Rain looks at least as feminine (possibly more) with her new hair length and it grows back anyways, but Rain's reaction shows how important it is to her and I'm sure there must be a lot of symbolism there. Besides that, it's just... I mean I can't even understand why she'd do something like that to begin with, even if it was benign, which it isn't. And considering the "half-awake" dream, she did it with pretty horrible intentions. I hope past the initial shock, Rain just rocks it and shows how her femininity isn't related to her hair length at all and all Kellen will get out of it is the hatred of everyone in her family.

Seriously though, the idea that she could force it on Rain like that... It's basically just one step under outing her publicly or something. It's not your decision, Kellen, you idiot -_-

Heliomance
2015-07-03, 03:14 AM
Well. Crap. That's horrible. And a hell of a place to leave us hanging! Yeah, I think Kellen needs to be cut out of the picture now completely, at least until and unless she can come back honestly repentant.

Athedia
2015-07-03, 03:28 AM
So I just started reading the comic tonight because of the posts here. So glad Emily is there for her right now.

Miraqariftsky
2015-07-03, 04:11 AM
Yeah, Rain fan here as well. Rainiac? Rainbeau?

Agreed. Tragic. Painful.

Kellen. TCH. Glad, though, that Rain DOES have Emily with her.

Been there. Roughly every six months. Harakiri by barbershop.

Today. Fairly warned. Family friction, trans issues, depression issues. Apologies for rushed arrangement. Thank you for listening.
Had another spot of conflict with the mother today. Unlike most times, I fired the first shots today. Or so it seems? Couple of the local channels were putting out a pro-LGBT rights documentary/news-stuff. Maaaaaaaaaan, you shoulda seen her face, all scrunched up with raaaaaaaaaage and the way she mashed the remote control was like a Puritan Inquisitor mashing a flamer's trigger or the Exterminatus button, HAHAHAHA! So I laughed. Laughed like all friggen hell. Laughed until I was hoarse. Laughed while pointing at her. Well, of course, that'd be taken as insult and offense, so she fired back in earnest... bla-bla-bla-bla. More of the old "RESPECT ME! GET A JOB, DON'T BE LAZY. I DON'T WANT TO DIE AND HAVE MY LAST THOUGHT BE OF A SON WHO PAINTS HIMSELF UP AND DRESSES HOW HE'S NOT SUPPOSED TO AND HASN'T CONTRIBUTED TO SOCIETY. GENETIC MY FOOT, DON'T GIVE ME THAT. ARE YOU SAYING IT'S MY FAULT? IT'S GOING TO BE YOUR FAULT IF SOCIETY BULLIES AND DENIGRATES YOU, I DON'T WANT THAT. DO YOU WANT TO END UP MURDERED LIKE THAT... THAT JENNIFER LAUDE TRANSGENDER? WHAT ABOUT HIV, HUH? THAT'S WHAT YOU'LL GET IF YOU KEEP GOING DOWN THIS WORTHLESS PATH THAT YOU ARE CHOOSING." There was to and fro, eventually ending with me walking out to have a long quiet cry in the garden while she steamed in the kitchen. The chickens and the dogs were... affectionate. The mosquitoes too, ha-ha-ha.

Ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha.

Dire Moose
2015-07-03, 04:56 AM
Rain Beaus is the term on DeviantArt.

That was terrifying to witness. However, this will probably result in forcing Aiken to side with Rain against Kellen. And I'm looking forward to seeing Fara's reaction.

Lycunadari
2015-07-03, 06:39 AM
Thanks :smallredface: ~ Like I said, it's simultaneously scary and exciting and nerve-wracking, with an added dose of feeling like it's soemthing that's still not even going to happen. I mean, I never realized how long 40 days is! That's like forever!

I'll try and be online as much as possible tomorrow (it's a holiday here), so get in touch!

Also, many many *hugs* with the social problems. That sounds awful! :smallfrown: But your classes sound nice! What are you studying?

~Phee~
Yeah, 40 days are a long time if you're waiting for somthing. *hugs*
I won't be online much over the weekend, I'm going to a medieval fair with a friend, but I'll try to get in touch if I see you~
The awkwardness sucks, but I'm getting better. I told the guy I ran away from later that I'm just very socially inept and I have nothing against him, and he seemed to understand. And yesterday I managed to talk to him a bit again. :smallsmile:

BIG SENTIMENTAL HUGS

That's all.
Welcome back, and congrats! :smallsmile:

That's great. :smallbiggrin:

If Kellen did this, then just, this is abuse of the highest grade and makes heer completely irredeemable in my eyes, it's essentially assault.
Yeah, that was really, really bad. The last two updates were painful to read (I've used having broken wings as a metaphor for abuse before, so Rain getting her wings cut of hit a bit too close to home). Kellen would have to do something truly extraordinary to make this right again.

Agreed. Tragic. Painful.

Today. Fairly warned. Family friction, trans issues, depression issues. Apologies for rushed arrangement. Thank you for listening.
Had another spot of conflict with the mother today. Unlike most times, I fired the first shots today. Or so it seems? Couple of the local channels were putting out a pro-LGBT rights documentary/news-stuff. Maaaaaaaaaan, you shoulda seen her face, all scrunched up with raaaaaaaaaage and the way she mashed the remote control was like a Puritan Inquisitor mashing a flamer's trigger or the Exterminatus button, HAHAHAHA! So I laughed. Laughed like all friggen hell. Laughed until I was hoarse. Laughed while pointing at her. Well, of course, that'd be taken as insult and offense, so she fired back in earnest... bla-bla-bla-bla. More of the old "RESPECT ME! GET A JOB, DON'T BE LAZY. I DON'T WANT TO DIE AND HAVE MY LAST THOUGHT BE OF A SON WHO PAINTS HIMSELF UP AND DRESSES HOW HE'S NOT SUPPOSED TO AND HASN'T CONTRIBUTED TO SOCIETY. GENETIC MY FOOT, DON'T GIVE ME THAT. ARE YOU SAYING IT'S MY FAULT? IT'S GOING TO BE YOUR FAULT IF SOCIETY BULLIES AND DENIGRATES YOU, I DON'T WANT THAT. DO YOU WANT TO END UP MURDERED LIKE THAT... THAT JENNIFER LAUDE TRANSGENDER? WHAT ABOUT HIV, HUH? THAT'S WHAT YOU'LL GET IF YOU KEEP GOING DOWN THIS WORTHLESS PATH THAT YOU ARE CHOOSING." There was to and fro, eventually ending with me walking out to have a long quiet cry in the garden while she steamed in the kitchen. The chickens and the dogs were... affectionate. The mosquitoes too, ha-ha-ha.

Ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha.
*offers hugs* I hope you can get away from her soon. :smallfrown:

golentan
2015-07-03, 08:07 AM

Agreed. Tragic. Painful.

Ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha.

~hugs~ I find you beautiful, always and forever, and I promise that I will never murder you, or give you HIV, and I will be affectionate the way the dogs and chickens are... I'd prefer to avoid mosquitos...

I like the name Rainbeau. It's a very sweet pun!

*offers hugs* I hope you can get away from her soon. :smallfrown:

Working on it...

Grytorm
2015-07-03, 10:37 AM
Hadn't been reading Rain much, but when I saw something big had happened I went back and read the chapter. It was good. But that end was hard to read. Well not actually hard to read but very sad. Makes me think of my hair. I don't particularly know know what I want to do with it. I always get a bit upset when it gets cut. But it is a bit distracting and awkward when I grow it out a little. Never had it long before though.

noparlpf
2015-07-03, 12:53 PM
There are recordings of the scenes in question (in Japanese) online, so the curious (who are fluent in Japanese) can independently verify the logs as accurate.

I can read hiragana but not kanji and I don't have much of a vocabulary so it'd be pretty slow for me. Maybe my friend who's been studying Japanese all year could get a bit more of it.

At least in the US it's a form of assault and although I don't know if in Rain's place I could bring myself to press charges against family if I were Emily I would be calling the police...

That was terrifying to witness. However, this will probably result in forcing Aiken to side with Rain against Kellen. And I'm looking forward to seeing Fara's reaction.

...Although on second thought maybe calling the police would be bad, because when Fara finds out the police are the last people we want to be there.

Ravens_cry
2015-07-03, 04:52 PM
Well, wish me luck. I've done what looks like, to all appearances, as 'crossdressing' in public, but only very stealth or in another city where no one knows me. I've gone to events and get togethers that way, but only with an LGBTQAI+ group where I could be pretty darn sure of support, but I am going to go to a friends get together wearing obviously fem apparel. Wish me luck, Playground.:smallsmile:

Grytorm
2015-07-03, 07:52 PM
I realized something really annoying. A crucial part of reform especially in the justice system is public outrage. Drawing attention to corruption and inequality. But on the other hand if the public gets to involved with the legal system things get ugly and that can create another type of unjust system.

Dire Moose
2015-07-03, 10:58 PM
Well, wish me luck. I've done what looks like, to all appearances, as 'crossdressing' in public, but only very stealth or in another city where no one knows me. I've gone to events and get togethers that way, but only with an LGBTQAI+ group where I could be pretty darn sure of support, but I am going to go to a friends get together wearing obviously fem apparel. Wish me luck, Playground.:smallsmile:

Good luck!

The_Snark
2015-07-03, 10:59 PM

Luck and strength!

Psyren
2015-07-04, 01:38 AM

Werk!

I realized something really annoying. A crucial part of reform especially in the justice system is public outrage. Drawing attention to corruption and inequality. But on the other hand if the public gets to involved with the legal system things get ugly and that can create another type of unjust system.

Meaning "mob justice?"

Yes, this unfortunately has happened in a few key historical revolutions that I'm not sure I can expand upon further here.

Coidzor
2015-07-04, 02:12 AM

Q'plah! :smallcool:

Lentrax
2015-07-04, 02:15 AM

Little late here, but I hope all went well!

Ravens_cry
2015-07-04, 10:21 AM
Little late here, but I hope all went well!

Actually, it's today, I just need a little boost ahead of time, so thank you.:smallcool:

paranoidbox
2015-07-04, 12:08 PM
I clicked on someone's LGBTAI signature and ended up here! I forget whose signature it was now because I've been reading through this thread and it's taken me some time to get to the end. No, I'm not going to read through all 55 previous iterations, thanks anyway ;-)

Small introduction: I'm a semi-middle aged man who is somewhat genderfluid, very bisexual, and extremely married to a woman. I am also quite fond of adjectives. My problems in life are insignificant compared to some of yours, but I would love to be part of the conversation.

So hi!

Also, good luck, Ravens_cry!

JNAProductions
2015-07-04, 02:20 PM
Actually, it's today, I just need a little boost ahead of time, so thank you.:smallcool:

You got it, friend! We all believe in you!

Also, hi Paranoid Box! Glad to have you around.

AmberVael
2015-07-04, 04:58 PM
...and extremely married to a woman...

Its not just marriage.

Its EXTREME marriage!
Motorbikes!
Guns!
Explosions!
Extras x's!

When this couple says "til death do you part" they mean never, 'cause this marriage is DEATH DEFYING.

*insert stunts here*

...anyway. Hey there! To you and I guess most everyone else because I'm not exactly a thread regular.

Lentrax
2015-07-04, 05:08 PM
Note to self: attend more weddings with less raucous ceremonies.

golentan
2015-07-04, 05:15 PM
I clicked on someone's LGBTAI signature and ended up here! I forget whose signature it was now because I've been reading through this thread and it's taken me some time to get to the end. No, I'm not going to read through all 55 previous iterations, thanks anyway ;-)

Small introduction: I'm a semi-middle aged man who is somewhat genderfluid, very bisexual, and extremely married to a woman. I am also quite fond of adjectives. My problems in life are insignificant compared to some of yours, but I would love to be part of the conversation.

So hi!

Also, good luck, Ravens_cry!

Wow, that sounds like where I'd like to be in 10 years...

paranoidbox
2015-07-04, 06:04 PM
Its not just marriage.

Its EXTREME marriage!
Motorbikes!
Guns!
Explosions!
Extras x's!

When this couple says "til death do you part" they mean never, 'cause this marriage is DEATH DEFYING.

*insert stunts here*

That's about right, yes. And we do our own stunts. Make of that what you will.

Wow, that sounds like where I'd like to be in 10 years...

It is a pretty nice and easy life at the moment. I'm pretty fortunate. I sincerely wish for you, and anyone else, to have a life as easy as mine.

PS: Someone mentioned Sense8 earlier in the thread. We've been watching it and absolutely love it. We're at episode 9 but we'll probably finish it in the next two days anyway.

golentan
2015-07-04, 06:25 PM
Okay, I did a weird test with myself. One of my friends commented that I was a different person when I wear a skirt, so...

In defiance of my traditional distaste for dating games, visual novels, and what not, I went ahead and booted up a game. I played it once through as I usually play games, male mode, comfortable pants, what have you. Then I swapped gender options, put on a skirt, got into full genderqueer mode, and played it again.

And I found that in male mode my tastes in women were different from in female mode... Similar, but different.

noparlpf
2015-07-04, 06:30 PM
Extras x's!

I don't know about you but I prefer to keep exes and marriage separate.

Athedia
2015-07-04, 07:11 PM
PS: Someone mentioned Sense8 earlier in the thread. We've been watching it and absolutely love it. We're at episode 9 but we'll probably finish it in the next two days anyway.

Oh great, now can you please tell me if the premise and if it uses myths about how the brain works or if it is more of a sci-fi mystery thing. Please!

paranoidbox
2015-07-04, 08:32 PM
Oh great, now can you please tell me if the premise and if it uses myths about how the brain works or if it is more of a sci-fi mystery thing. Please!

8 totally different people in different parts of the world get "birthed" as what is known as a cluster and share each other's experiences and emotions, visiting each other's locations, and are generally capable of trading skills and knowledge. But a mysterious man from a mysterious company is after them to try and ... lobotomize them? Because they're different? Information is still sketchy at this point in the story where we're at.

Actually, not a lot of science babble happens, at all (so far). So no real myths about how brains are infinite and how we can tap into its vast reserves if only those parts are unlocked, etc etc... It's a lot more mystical than anything else. For instance, there's a thing called "visiting" that anyone can do who has become birthed, where you can mentally manifest before someone as long as you've physically looked into their eyes at least once, but it's otherwise never explained. I get the feeling the Wachowski's are playing it somewhat fast and loose with the sensate "rules"; a lot of it happens because of plot, which would usually bother me but the story and its explorations are pretty good so I let it slide. This time, Wachowski's, this time...

Hope this helps!

Edit: Oh, most of that information you learn in the first few episodes, so I didn't really give away too much if you still want to watch it.

Athedia
2015-07-04, 09:03 PM
8 totally different people in different parts of the world get "birthed" as what is known as a cluster and share each other's experiences and emotions, visiting each other's locations, and are generally capable of trading skills and knowledge. But a mysterious man from a mysterious company is after them to try and ... lobotomize them? Because they're different? Information is still sketchy at this point in the story where we're at.

Actually, not a lot of science babble happens, at all (so far). So no real myths about how brains are infinite and how we can tap into its vast reserves if only those parts are unlocked, etc etc... It's a lot more mystical than anything else. For instance, there's a thing called "visiting" that anyone can do who has become birthed, where you can mentally manifest before someone as long as you've physically looked into their eyes at least once, but it's otherwise never explained. I get the feeling the Wachowski's are playing it somewhat fast and loose with the sensate "rules"; a lot of it happens because of plot, which would usually bother me but the story and its explorations are pretty good so I let it slide. This time, Wachowski's, this time...

Hope this helps!

Edit: Oh, most of that information you learn in the first few episodes, so I didn't really give away too much if you still want to watch it.

Okay, I can bite on that. Thanks!

Grytorm
2015-07-05, 12:25 AM
Hmm. Bah. It didn't bother me at first but now it does. My mothers razor blade was dull so it was difficult to shave properly, and it was currently to tidy to have taken another. So my left leg is decently shaved, not perfect. But my is still hairy. Kind of icky.

Miraqariftsky
2015-07-05, 02:20 AM
@Dire Moose:

Indeed, agreed. Almost certainly, that will lead to the now repentant Aiken hopping over the fence to Rain's side solidly.

@Lycundari:
Good for you, then. And good luck with your matters of the heart.

Indeed. I would have buggered out long ago, though, if I didn't have a niggling worry that she'd react... drastically... to any suchlike negative surprise.

@Golentan:
Love ye too, dearest.

Alright. Curiousity. How different are you then, when you go queer or en femme?

@Grytorm:
A little envy there, lady. Never had long hair before, either.

And on those legal issues--- Well. People DO need to cry out if there is injustice, but they also need to watch themselves, lest they contribute to the problem. Aye, agreed.

@Ravens Cry:
Indigo. Midnight. Amber. Crimson.
Cry your joy into the dust of the wind.
Fly, and let your beauty soar free,
We, your flock, flying with you.

@Paranoid Box:
Welcome aboard, comrade.

@AmberVael:
Welcome back, comrade.

@Dragonrider:
Welcome back, comrade. Aye, 'twas like that for me as well, once upon a time. 'Twas the Playground that did a lot to open my eyes.
And congratulations to you and your lady love.

@Everybody Else:
Hugs to all who need or want 'em.

Grytorm
2015-07-05, 03:01 PM
Miraqariftsky, I'm not really certain what you have to be jealous of, so maybe I should take that as a compliment. :smallsmile:

Hm. Also although I don't have a D&D group I am thinking up ideas for an adventure. And its ended up with two non straight characters. And I just wanted to make certain it wasn't anything wrong about how they are depicted.

They would be two characters introduced in the stereotypical start in an Inn scene to become relevant in the second adventure. One, the reasonable villain of the adventure would be a female bard late twenties equivalent, probably half elf. She would be hanging around the inn and probably be bisexual, but not emphasized except with the other character. The other character would be the innkeepers daughter late teens early twenties. She has a crush on the bard. The plan is to have the PCs find some journal and map things and the Bard would be able to translate and would try to buy it off of them in a way to make it unlikely for them to sell. Then she would convince the Innkeepers daughter to try and steal the papers in the night with probably some promise of making out or something. The PCs could stop it and will be always woken up after a certain point. Ultimately the bard will flee town and the adventurers will encounter her after they go looking for whatever treasure they want.

Originally the daughter would have been a son, but I realized that most of the other characters were male so I wanted to add another plot relevant woman. Although making the mayor the Innkeepers wife (and the Inns cook) would work as well for adding a bit more diversity.

Athedia
2015-07-05, 08:57 PM
Miraqariftsky, I'm not really certain what you have to be jealous of, so maybe I should take that as a compliment. :smallsmile:

Hm. Also although I don't have a D&D group I am thinking up ideas for an adventure. And its ended up with two non straight characters. And I just wanted to make certain it wasn't anything wrong about how they are depicted.

They would be two characters introduced in the stereotypical start in an Inn scene to become relevant in the second adventure. One, the reasonable villain of the adventure would be a female bard late twenties equivalent, probably half elf. She would be hanging around the inn and probably be bisexual, but not emphasized except with the other character. The other character would be the innkeepers daughter late teens early twenties. She has a crush on the bard. The plan is to have the PCs find some journal and map things and the Bard would be able to translate and would try to buy it off of them in a way to make it unlikely for them to sell. Then she would convince the Innkeepers daughter to try and steal the papers in the night with probably some promise of making out or something. The PCs could stop it and will be always woken up after a certain point. Ultimately the bard will flee town and the adventurers will encounter her after they go looking for whatever treasure they want.

Originally the daughter would have been a son, but I realized that most of the other characters were male so I wanted to add another plot relevant woman. Although making the mayor the Innkeepers wife (and the Inns cook) would work as well for adding a bit more diversity.

So how I would run it would be the bard being straight (more villainy if you are purposefully leading someone on) encouraging the daughters crush and telling her that she (the daughter)can run away with her (the bard). It would be more "this person is a villain"

golentan
2015-07-05, 09:03 PM
So how I would run it would be the bard being straight (more villainy if you are purposefully leading someone on) encouraging the daughters crush and telling her that she (the daughter)can run away with her (the bard). It would be more "this person is a villain"

Depends. Taking sexual advantage of a youth too young to have a handle on their hormones is pretty evil just in general. Leading someone on is malicious sure, but drawing an innocent into a life of crime/evil through sexual manipulation is plenty evil.

Athedia
2015-07-05, 09:22 PM
Depends. Taking sexual advantage of a youth too young to have a handle on their hormones is pretty evil just in general. Leading someone on is malicious sure, but drawing an innocent into a life of crime/evil through sexual manipulation is plenty evil.

But if it is both? That is evil and cruel

EDIT: just started watching Sense8. OMG, must watch more. Need to know

Grytorm
2015-07-05, 11:13 PM
Interesting. Thank you for the advice. My original idea was that the Bard would gather a small gang of toughs and try to get to the tomb or whatever before the characters. Sorry if that seems unrelated but it will be. She wouldn't want to start a lethal confrontation but I am not certain how she would react to meeting the PCs in the field. But I think a few of her hired men would be more hostile.

Hmm. Now to think about the bards intentions with the young women from the inn. She wasn't planning on running away with her but is definitely manipulating her.

Astrella
2015-07-06, 02:27 AM
So I stumbled on a article written by a TERF going on about how Trans women's sexual abuse and trauma is just them "imitating" cis women. These people are so vile and self-centered and hateful that they even can't let us have our abuse to be our own but have to make it about them.

Also my mom has threatened with suicide if I don't pass my exam tomorrow. And it doesn't matter what she does, it always turns into guilt tripping about "how we always make her out to be the bad one". I don't know what to do. I'm scared.

Miraqariftsky
2015-07-06, 03:28 AM
@Astrella:
Wot dah frak is daaaaat? What part of "Love Thy Neigh---" AHEM "Be Decent To Others" so dang difficult, eh?

Sorry to hear that. And, sorry to say, my mother has expressed similar sentiments as well. Hence one of the reasons why I hadn't bugged outta here a long time ago.

@Grytorm:
~shrug~ Simply that you have long hair, I suppose. And I'm quite certain it looks spiffing on you.

Though, to be fair, I can't quite yet say long hair or short hair is right for me, specifically. Or whatever cut or style. Because of the ol' not-Kellen. Oh, well.

Agreeing. Manipulation by sexual advantage is right nasty.

Mono Vertigo
2015-07-06, 04:06 AM
Also my mom has threatened with suicide if I don't pass my exam tomorrow. And it doesn't matter what she does, it always turns into guilt tripping about "how we always make her out to be the bad one". I don't know what to do. I'm scared.
This is childish behaviour, and the only one who makes her out to be a bad guy is herself with the regular guilt tripping.
... that being said, I don't know how you should deal with this situation specifically. Just remember to trust yourself and that she doesn't really mean what she says here. Ideally, somebody else should call her on her bullcrap in a way she can understand; it shouldn't be your responsibility to tell your own mother to grow up.

noparlpf
2015-07-06, 05:12 AM
So I stumbled on a article written by a TERF going on about how Trans women's sexual abuse and trauma is just them "imitating" cis women. These people are so vile and self-centered and hateful that they even can't let us have our abuse to be our own but have to make it about them.

I'm sorry. That's really sucky and unfair. On both counts.

Chambers
2015-07-06, 07:54 AM
My new lunchbox art.

http://i972.photobucket.com/albums/ae206/unnamedhero91/IMG_20150703_164908_zps4008cb65.jpg

I work construction and today is the first day I'm bringing it with the rainbow duct tape flag. I've gotten a few odd looks but no one has said anything about it so far.

Grytorm
2015-07-06, 08:25 AM
@Astrella:
Wot dah frak is daaaaat? What part of "Love Thy Neigh---" AHEM "Be Decent To Others" so dang difficult, eh?

Sorry to hear that. And, sorry to say, my mother has expressed similar sentiments as well. Hence one of the reasons why I hadn't bugged outta here a long time ago.

@Grytorm:
~shrug~ Simply that you have long hair, I suppose. And I'm quite certain it looks spiffing on you.

Though, to be fair, I can't quite yet say long hair or short hair is right for me, specifically. Or whatever cut or style. Because of the ol' not-Kellen. Oh, well.

Agreeing. Manipulation by sexual advantage is right nasty.

Hm. Sorry for the confusion, I don't have very long hair, its just that I resist getting hair cuts and get slightly longish hair which just feels kind of funny.

paranoidbox
2015-07-06, 08:38 AM
@Chambers:
Looks very nice!

@Astrella
TERFs are scary and, more importantly, very misguided in my opinion. Maybe they should focus on more important feminist goals, rather than worry about trans women joining the ranks, eh? As far as I can see, they're a very clear minority though, luckily, and losing relevance fast (and therefore become more radical, angrier and scarier by the day). But yeah, they rarely make anyone feel good with their opinions and we do well to just avoid them.

(I just made a mistake of googling TERF to see if... well, I don't know what I was expecting. I read a TERF article and I'm sick to my stomach now. Guhhh. What was I saying about avoiding them? Two seconds in and I'm breaking my own rules.)

Also, sorry to hear about your mother's threats. The main thing you can do, what you should do, is take care of yourself. You're not responsible for your mother's behavior and actions. You have to do what you want, what you need, and what makes you feel good. Everything else is out of your hands and not your job. Repeat after me: Not. My. Job.

Grytorm
2015-07-06, 08:48 AM

Sorry you have to deal with so much stuff.

KyooTrap
2015-07-06, 12:59 PM
i made a gif of my partner surprising me with a kiss while i was trying to record something else! http://i.imgur.com/s0Tv7qT.gif

golentan
2015-07-06, 02:10 PM
So, uh, funny thing? A trans acquaintance of mine has started (rather than calling himself a transman) calling himself a vagentleman.

For some reason, it makes me chuckle.

Lentrax
2015-07-06, 04:55 PM

She makes the threats and it's everyone else that's being bad? Wow... I am sorry, hon. *hugs*
Lemme know if there's anything I can do to help.

i made a gif of my partner surprising me with a kiss while i was trying to record something else! http://i.imgur.com/s0Tv7qT.gif

*Squees*
Adorableness ahead! Cuteness spotted!

I think this is the first time I've seen your partner. You are adorable together.

Jormengand
2015-07-06, 04:59 PM

Cuties. : 3

Grytorm
2015-07-07, 12:01 AM

You guys are so cute when blurry.

'Also I feel down. In a weird bored sort of way. My computer has temporarily run out of distractions. And so all I am left with is the emptiness of my existence to pass the time.

JNAProductions
2015-07-07, 12:01 AM
I'm feeling the same, Grytorm.

golentan
2015-07-07, 12:26 AM
I'm feeling the same, Grytorm.

If it helps, since about 6 this afternoon I've been feeling a little depressed myself... Grandpa keeps screaming at me today, and I haven't been hungry, and the pool's still closed so no escaping the heat that way...

Killing time sucks...

Heliomance
2015-07-07, 01:54 AM
If it helps, since about 6 this afternoon I've been feeling a little depressed myself... Grandpa keeps screaming at me today, and I haven't been hungry, and the pool's still closed so no escaping the heat that way...

Killing time sucks...

Whenever you post about your cat, there's always a moment of confusion before I remember you're tallking about a cat :smalltongue:

paranoidbox
2015-07-07, 02:00 AM

Cute gif! =)

golentan
2015-07-07, 02:16 AM
Whenever you post about your cat, there's always a moment of confusion before I remember you're tallking about a cat :smalltongue:

That's at least half the fun of posting about him! :smalltongue: