View Full Version : DrK Savage Tide I IC

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

DrK
2016-06-30, 07:07 AM
The Savage Tide Begins!

The first savage tide has already touched the mortal world, yet none who live today recall this terrible time of red ruin. It swept over an ancient city, transforming beggar and noble, merchant and thief, resident and visitor, one and all into feral, ravenous fiends. What took the ancients hundreds of years to build came crumbling down in a matter of days. When the final ripples of the tide faded, only ruins remained.

Now, after a thousand years, the hidden architect of the Savage Tide gazes upon new targets. This time, the doom will not be limited to one hapless city. This time, all of civilization is perched on the shore, blissfully ignorant of what the tide is about to bring in.

http://cdn.obsidianportal.com/assets/17415/122636_CN_GL.jpg

A late spring breeze wafts in across the city from the sea as you make your way toward the Vanderboren Estate in the Merchant's District. Sunset approaches, but still the clinging heat of the day remains in the air. Hawkers begin to pack up there wares as the city's inhabitants prepare for their evening activities. Already the faint roar of thousands of voices from the arena in the distant Champion's district can be heard like the dull roar of the sea. The Merchants district looms high around you. The neatly paved streets busy with the wealthy being carried aloft by slave bound sedan chairs, horse or ostrich pulled coaches and carriages or even a couple atop the backs of large elephants. The Merchant's Watch eyes you suspiciously, a few passing comments of "Don't be causing trouble here. You're sort may be more at home across in Champions..."

Each of you arriving independently are holding a letter written in a neat flowing style that is as interesting as it is mysterious... The notes were delivered by a stern and proper looking halfling woman who gave no name and only muttered that your recent exploits had atttracted the attention of her mistress who may ask them for some assistance. Assistance that had the ring of monetary recompense attached to it.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k237/browncoatgeek/Handout1.jpg

Eventually you reach the small manor that identifies itself as the Vandeborn Manor. The owner of the mysterious note that the Halfling delivered to you after you finished your recent adventure. The seven-foot high stone wall that surrounds the estate is hard to miss, as is the towering, gothic, three-storey house that dominates the grounds within. Leering gargoyles andcapering nymphs festoon the eaves of the manor's roof, and several trees and thick flowers - many clearly exotic and not from the surrounding jungles - give the manor grounds a nice buffer from the bustle of the city outside.

http://dfry.warpmail.net/ST/Sasserine%20Map%20Labelled.jpg
You are heading to location #1

The compound gates are open and no-one is in sight. You make your way to the front door and knock. After a few moments the wizened halfling servant who originally contacted you opens the door.

"Ah welcome... I am glad you were able to respond and arrive so promptly. Please come in and wait in the receiving room. I will have food and drinks brought to you while the Mistress prepeares to greet you."

She gestures inside to a spacious waiting-room. It is open, light and has several plants and seats placed for comfort. A small cage containing some local jungle ferns housing a half dozen small brightly coloured frogs lies alongside one wall, the other wall opening up onto a small balcony overlooking the water and the city beyond. The opposed temples to Wee Jas and Kord dominate the skyline - one well lit with curving domes and sunny murals, the other dark and shadowy as befits the Lady of the night and a player in the many criminal gangs that threaten to upset the balance of power within the city. To the south are the distant mist-covered mountains, and beyond them deadly snake-infested jungle. To the north is nothing but clear calm ocean, dotted here and there with fishing and trading vessels.

As you wait some another servant in the Vandeborn livery appear with trays of wine and ale and platters of steamed tree viper slices, stuffed fangfish parcels fresh from the river and a selection of diced fruit from the lush jungle.

Feel free to introduce yourselves and describe your PC

redzimmer
2016-06-30, 10:13 AM
Locksley

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/643465407416811521/nABRoQ0T.jpg
Locksley (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=834498)
Male CG Green Dragon Bloodline Quarter-Elf bard, Level 1, Init 1, HP 7/7, Speed 30
AC 13, Touch 11, Flat-footed 12, Fort 1, Ref 3, Will 2, Base Attack Bonus 0
Rapier +1 (1d6+1, 18-20/×2)
Shortbow (20) +1 (1d6, x3)
(+2 Armor, +1 Dex)
Abilities Str 12, Dex 13, Con 12, Int 13, Wis 10, Cha 15
Condition None

Locksley wears a well-tailored green waistcoat with black leggings and high boots. A tri-corner hat with a garish exotic animal feather crowns his head. At his belt hangs a rapier of the type nobles usually cart about and can hardly use. A first glance would dismiss him as a perfumed fop, and hearing him talk would not dissuade your first impression.

He offers first the halfling, then the other guests a weak smile. The past few weeks since his disinheritance had passed in a wine-soaked haze, and began to look it.

In truth, he'd hoped to have drunk himself to death by now, but his unusually high tolerance for alcohol kept thwarting him.

Seeing the canapés made his innards agitate for better living conditions, and Locksley feared the floor would match his green attire soon. He gratefully snatches a flute of wine.

A little gaze of the cockatrice who killed you, he thought grimly.

Felhammer
2016-06-30, 12:11 PM
Amara

The gentle wood elf had left her sea-side monastery some years ago. Her life's goal was to be reunited with the mysterious stranger whom she shared a most magical night with. Although a part of her thought it was far fetched, Amara had come to believe the mysterious stranger who had casually entered and exited her life was none other than the Dolphin Prince - her patron deity. Since that night of passion, she has dedicated her life doing good works in the name of her god with the hope that he will grace her with his presence - and love - just one more time before she passes on from this world.

Amara has come to this particular town due to a letter she had received. Truth be told, she was running out of funds and needed an infusion of cash so as to continue to do the works that Deep Sashelas demanded she perform. Her quiver was running light on arrows (at least from her perspective) and her tummy grumbled under the displeasure of eating trail rations for the past two weeks. The chance to earn some coin pleased her - and her sorrowful belly - greatly.

The cleric of the Lord of the Undersea entered the room with a smile. She ran her hand through her neck-length sandy brown hair, "Hello, everyone. I am Amara Syndara." On her right cheek is a vibrant blue tattoo of a dolphin, the symbol of her deity. She wears a simple brown cloak over top of an equally simple steel-grey scale armor coat. On her back is a quiver stuffed full of arrows. Strung around her lithe frame is an elven-made longbow. A simple dwarven-made longsword rests on her hip.

redzimmer
2016-06-30, 02:21 PM
Locksley

Doffing his hat, Locksley favours the lady with a low, sweeping bow.

"Mae l'ovannen Amara!"

Seeing the holy symbol, Locksley decides to forgo the usual fawning. He still regretted pinching the Cuthbert cleric's bottom. Oh how he howled brimstone and fire!

"Elen síla lúmenn' omentielvo! Ye Locksley t'Sasserine. Quetuvangwë sí ve nildu?"

Well met Amara!
A star shines on the hour of our meeting! I am Locksley of Sasserine. May we speak as friends?

RCgothic
2016-06-30, 03:32 PM
Lara

On the balcony a young woman leans on the railing, long red hair fluttering in the wind as she looks out over the city, easy and relaxed. This is her city; the sights, sounds and smells all have a comforting familiarity. But even so her gaze keeps coming back to the city's ports and the tall ships berthed there, and beyond to the horizon.

She turns to the room with a cocky smile as conversation begins.

"Antolle ulua sulrim, Locksley t'Sasserine," she admonishes mockingly. "Quena common yassen otholi."

"Well met Amara! Sea folk are always glad to see a follower of Sashelas. I'm Lara. Lara Dantalion, of Pelican that was. Have you travelled far?"

Starbin
2016-06-30, 06:55 PM
Grimgor

The dwarf plodded up to the door of the estate, frowning at the finery. He looked at the letter for what must have been the tenth time in as many minutes and looked back to the street signs. With an explosive sigh and shake of his head, he moved forward to pound on the door. The same halfling that gave him the letter answered.Ah welcome... I am glad -"

The dwarf grunted and raised a hand, interrupting the small woman. "Blah, blah, blah, Ah'm here lassy. Jus' point me to th'grub.". Stepping in like he owned the place, the dwarf looked left and right, then started back at the halfling expectantly.

Entering the room, the dwarf looked around, absently checking his pockets. Too many times nimble fingers from the small folk had rid him of his wealth. She'd already made him leave his pike and shield behind - what else might she take? He paused, taking in the attendees, until his eyes lit up at the sight of the food. Stomping over, he grabbed a handful of fish and stuffed a couple of vipers in his mouth as he looked around for the ale.

The others saw what appears to be a stout and solid dwarf, albeit with rough skin. His dark eyes peered out from a craggy brow, glittering black. His beard was tied into two braids he had tucked into his belt. The sides of his head were shaved and covered with what look like runic tattoos. He was arnored and they had let him qkeep one weapon - he chose his waraxe, which lay across his back.

Chewing his food loudly, the warrior found an empty wall spot and leaned back against it, watching the others.

I'm in! Hopefully the post makes sense ...

Ghostfoot
2016-06-30, 09:40 PM
Tyndall

Walking to the gates of the estate the aging ex-retainer checked his attire anxiously. He'd polished his old chain armour best he could and wore his scimitar on a serviceable but second-hand sword belt. It was all a few years out of date, but so was he. It was all he had and he had to make the most of it. Second chances like this didn't come along every day - he missed being in service to a House and badly needed both the coin and the dignity. Hopefully this wasn't just a cruel joke.

As he passes into the grounds he instantly feels more at ease. It had been a while since House Pullano but this sort of place was very familiar to him and made him yearn even more for the old days, before he'd been been shipwrecked and it'd all been so unfairly lost to him.

Passing inside he spies those gathered in the antechamber making acquaintances. Tyndall can't speak a word of elvish but he can guess at the pleasantries being exchanged. Nodding to all present and not quite sure yet who everyone might represent he introduces himself, "Tyndall Jarispur, at your service". As he pushes his uncut hair back from his brow the others see a handsome if rugged-looking middle-aged man in somewhat dated armour and attire. A tangle of coloured flaxen braids is stuffed absently into one pocket. His face is sun-weathered and his hastily brushed dark hair and beard is starting to go grey. The man has clearly seen better days.

redzimmer
2016-06-30, 10:29 PM
Locksley

Wind pours from my mouth? How dare she... actually no, it's a fair cop.

Locksley bows again, this time at Mistress Dantalion.

"Of course, forgive my boorish manners, my Lady! It has been so long I have engaged one of my father's kin, I was overcome with nostalgia."

Stegyre
2016-07-01, 12:47 AM
'Tienne

Is this "fashionably late" or just "late"? 'Tienne thinks to himself, as he reaches the door of the mansion. Embarrassed, he acknowledged to himself that he was tardy by design: anything to avoid the awkwardness of being the first or second to arrive and the long silence as their hostess or another guest waited for him to make conversation.

He still puzzled over his meeting with the halfling woman and the note from Mistress Vanderboren. "Recent exploits"? They couldn't know about Cauldron, could they? Maybe it was just that thing with the girl who fell overboard. But the hope of money -- yes, he could use some money. He could not continue living off his relations. Things had been getting ever more strained around the house.

Leaving his hat in the entryway and ushered into the waiting room, he declines the drinks in favor of some of the fresh fruit, then stands bare-headed looking at the others. His dark brown hair is close-cropped. (If I have to comb it when I get up in the morning, it's too long.). His face -- Do I look non-descript? I think I'm non-descript. A stiffened leather jerkin; a belt, with pouch and belt-knife; unremarkable, he hopes.

"Hi, you can call me 'Tienne." Then, not knowing what else to say, he looks around for a seat.

RCgothic
2016-07-01, 06:02 PM
Locksley

Wind pours from my mouth? How dare she... actually no, it's a fair cop.

Locksley bows again, this time at Mistress Dantalion.

"Of course, forgive my boorish manners, my Lady! It has been so long I have engaged one of my father's kin, I was overcome with nostalgia."

"And yet you are from Sasserine...?" Lara asks dubiously, confused by demographics that above 1 in 12 of the city claim some elvish heritage. Lara herself reckons she has about 3/64th elf in her. "Oh, I see!" she exclaims, realisation dawning. "Where did your voyage take you?" She asks, enthusiastic now.

Tyndall
Passing inside he spies those gathered in the antechamber making acquaintances. Tyndall can't speak a word of elvish but he can guess at the pleasantries being exchanged. Nodding to all present and not quite sure yet who everyone might represent he introduces himself, "Tyndall Jarispur, at your service". As he pushes his uncut hair back from his brow the others see a handsome if rugged-looking middle-aged man in somewhat dated armour and attire. A tangle of coloured flaxen braids is stuffed absently into one pocket. His face is sun-weathered and his hastily brushed dark hair and beard is starting to go grey. The man has clearly seen better days.

'Tienne

"Hi, you can call me 'Tienne." Then, not knowing what else to say, he looks around for a seat.

"Lara. Lara Dantalion," she greets the newcomers with a firm handshake. The reticent dwarf gets a respectful incline of the head. "Of The Pelican before she paid off. Now sadly between jobs and hoping for a lucky break."

"You guys are warriors?" she assesses, judging by their attire and bearing. "Any idea why we were summoned?"

Stegyre
2016-07-01, 11:13 PM
'Tienne

She shook my hand and thinks I'm a "warrior." Maybe she's interested?, 'Tienne thinks, as he admires her red hair. Then he shakes his head, dismissing the thought: women with that much self-confidence did not take a personal interest in him. But she was a sailor, and he liked sailing – it was something in common, at least.

"Any idea why we were summoned?"
He tries to think of what he may have heard of their hostess since he came to town.
K(local) [roll0]

Edit: And I am rocking the knowledge check! Note: "Tienne has the Jack of all Trades feat, allowing him to make untrained checks. In this instance, I think that would mean he has access to higher-than-DC 10 knowledge checks.

Ghostfoot
2016-07-02, 06:31 AM
"You guys are warriors?" she assesses, judging by their attire and bearing. "Any idea why we were summoned?"

Tyndall shakes the redhead woman Lara's hand. "Of sorts. More of a 'coordinator' truth be told. I used to work for one of these merchant houses, way back. Looked after some of their teams doing the run to Cauldron and back. I'm not sure what they want of us. I'm just grateful to be invited." He offers her a drink before pouring an ale for himself and reaching for the platter of fruit.

Also with the Knowledge checks:
Nobility [roll0]
Local [roll1]

With my minor marshal aura I've tentatively taken the +3 bonus to damage for everyone while flanking. I'm pretty flexible about the choice and since we haven't properly started yet I figure I could switch this to something else if there's a preference for something more appropriate (it's there for use by the wider party). I guess it really depends on party style - whether folk will be more frequently flanking, critting, charging, tripping etc. Just let me know.

Felhammer
2016-07-02, 12:57 PM
Amara

The elf smiles broadly as she hears others speak her native language, "Vedui' winya Mellonea. blessings en' i' dolphin taren deno' ilye en' lle! vee' amin said, amin naa amara. ta naa quel oment- fellow lovers en' i' elfin lambe!

amin Aaye tuulo' i' grandwood taure, ie' least originally. amin immigrated a' rel astra iire amin nae y' hundred years iant, lured e' ed' i' prospect en' alma ar' eina. eller deno', amin yeste' istime en' i' heru en' i' undersea ar' natule y' member en' ho clergy. ale' decades e' i' bustlien tal, amin decided y' quieter life nae ten' amin, ikotane amin tulke y' sea-side shrine Numen en' i' vanya tal ar' For en' i' great kawa e' i' crab duin.

amin uma il- sinta mankoi Amin caela been yale sinome nan', given i' company, amin presume ta naa en' great import. "

Greetings new friends. Blessings of the Dolphin Prince upon each of you! As I said, I am Amara. It is good to meet fellow lovers of the elfin tongue!

I hail from the Grandwood Forest, at least originally. I immigrated to Rel Astra when I was a hundred years old, lured in by the prospect of wealth and happiness. There upon, I first learned of the Lord of the Undersea and became a member of his clergy. After decades in the bustling city, I decided a quieter life was for me, so I established a sea-side shrine west of this fair city and north of the great bow in the Crab River.

I do not know why I have been summoned here but, given the company, I presume it is of great import.

Starbin
2016-07-02, 01:53 PM
Grimgor

Wiping the food from his beard, the dwarf's eyes narrowed at the group of tree-huggers that that were speaking to each other in what must be the language of those wood-loving pansies. The human woman at least acknowledged him with a nod, which earned a nod in return. Belching into his hand, the dwarf pushed away from the wall and stride forward. Once he was in the midst of the group, he spoke. "Ah dinnae speak tree ... and looks like some o' ye dinnae either. Ah dinnae like folk speakin' wot Ah kinnae unnerstand. Speak plain tongue ... or hold yers."

After speaking his piece, and a moment of awkward silence, he looked around. "Where's this lass at?"

Now that the dwarf was up close, the others could see his eyes are all black, and his skin the texture of gravel. As a second thought, he spoke again. "Ah'm Grimgor."

Mr. Pleasant makes himself known. And he is NOT simply another version of Lan :smalltongue:

redzimmer
2016-07-02, 02:38 PM
Locksley

"I cry your pardon, good sir. I'll not be so rude as to exclude via language. I am Locksley, mostly of Sasserine, though I've periodically been shipped from town to town. As will all of you, I've not the foggiest of clues as to our benefactress's summons."

[roll0]

Rarely for the Misbegotten Bastard Son of a Forestlord Half-elf (as Grandfather so lovingly called him), every word he spoke was true. He was very much in the dark, and it itched at him terribly.

Felhammer
2016-07-02, 04:16 PM
Amara

The wood elf blushes, "Sorry, sir dwarf. I don't get to speak Elven wiff people who can speak it good very often. I'll speak common when you're around, promise."

Amara has INT 8, so what I want to do is represent that by having her speak in a unique way.

Primarily, she will use contractions.

She will use short, to the point sentences.

She will have a limited vocabulary, so she will often repeat words multiple times when speaking.

She will replace the TH sound with the F sound.

She will use Me instead of My.

She will use Double Negatives.

Words that end in Er are ended with A, instead.

She will also occasionally just say things incorrectly or in an odd manner.

DrK
2016-07-02, 04:16 PM
The "Van de Boren" family is an old family in Sasserine. The parents of the family were adventurers, explorers and well known merchants who had, if rumours are true a colony on a distant isle that had supplied much of the well. Recently however both parents were killed in a some sort of fire leaving a son, Vanthus, and a daughter Lavinia.

Lavinia is trying to follow in her parents footsteps
Vanthus is a braggart, a scoundrel and a philanderer

Kora, the halfling, smiles at you all as she sees you seated and eating and drinking. "My Lady sends her apologies. Her previous meeting with another delegation is running a bit long. She will be with you shortly."
even as the elderly halfling offers the explanation the broad wide doors adjacent to your sitting room open revealing an impressive looking gallery behind. The best description of the room beyond would be a "museum" as savage tribal masks of unknown origin, weapons and stuffed animals ranging from small vermin and bats to a massive 18ft long stuffed lizard of some kind stand poised around an elegant table.

A distinctive party of four leave the room passing through your balcony. The four all dressed in matching green cloaks that Tienne recognises as those of the "Jade Ravens" a small adventuring band. The group is led by a jaunty male half-elf dressed in leather armor and armed with a half-dozen daggers of different shapes, a dark-skinned dwarf with a sour expression dressed in green and brown robes and clutching a large curved spear follows as an attractive but haughty-looking woman dressed in dark purple robes and with a tattoo of a crescent moon on one cheek, and a tall and handsome man dressed in polished breastplate carrying a bastard sword bring up the rear

http://cracksmacker.moruadesigns.com/savagetide/people/npc-jade_ravens.jpg

All four of them stride out bantering quietly amongst themselves. The Dwarf tossing a heavy pouch up and down in his hand. The half elf runs an eye over the waiting heroes (you) and smirks... "Lavinia must be getting desperate eh?" The others nod and smile as they head down the stairs... The dwarf offering Grimgor a respectful nod and a salute as he passes.

Even as the other party head downstairs Mistress Kora the elderly Halfling Lady waves you into the muesum Its softly lit by wall-mounted lanterns. A window overlooks the manor's central courtyard with a garden and pool visible and the carpet is thick and soft. A large portrait hangs on the wall, behind Lavinia, a fine work depicting a hand some young man with a short beard. Standing before the portrait is an attractive human woman wearing a long, flowing blue dress.

http://cracksmacker.moruadesigns.com/savagetide/people/npc-lavinia_vanderboren.jpg

She smiles. Thanking Kora and bidding you sit on one of the chairs laid out in a rough semi-circle in front of her where she stands in front of the fireplace below the imposing portrait.

Greetings. Welcome to my manor. You are all brave adventurers and I thank mistress Kora for helping me find you. As you may have heard, I recently inherited my parents' estate. Along with this fine house, unfortunately, came a fine amount of debt owed the Dawn Council, the harbormaster, and quite a few guildhalls. It seems my parents, for all their success as adventurers, were not as skilled at finance as one might expect. If I'm to get these taxes paid, I'll need to access my family's vault under Castle Teraknian." She pauses to sip some wine from a crystal goblet with a flowing griffon emblazoned upon it.

"And that's the problem, you see. The vaults are magically locked-keyed to special signet rings. Both of my parents had these rings, at least, until recently. My mother lost hers a few months ago. She arranged for a replacement, but it won't be done for another month or so, too late for me. Which leaves my father's ring. He never wore it-he had a thing about men wearing jewellery. He kept it hidden somewhere on his ship, the Blue Nixie. The problem there is that the harbormaster's seized the ship until someone pays for the last four months of mooring. I've paid the fines to the man the harbormaster's put in charge of my ship, a brute named Soller Vark. Yet when I went to claim my ship, Vark's men wouldn't let me board, claiming that I hadn't yet paid the fines. I spoke to Vark again and he denied ever receiving my payment. My complaints to the harbormaster have
fallen on deaf ears-he's a doddering old fool who trusts his man and won't relent."

She pauses looking a little nervous before continuing. "Vark and his men are up to something on my ship, I know it. What I need is to find out exactly what they're up to. Unfortunately, Vark's not the type to react well to diplomacy or logic. I need someone who speaks his language... which is where you come in. If you can find out what he's using my ship for, or even better, recover the money I paid him, I'll pay each of you 200 gold in return once I've access to my vault." She pauses at the end of her speech before surveying the assembled "heroes".

Felhammer
2016-07-02, 04:24 PM
Amara

The cleric notes the other party walking by and smiles courteously to them. She was not used to being an adventurer, so perhaps it was common for patrons to hire multiple teams at the same time. Perhaps not. Time would tell, she supposed.

After their new patron finished her spiel, Amara nodded, "I'm sorry you can't get to your vault. Don't seem right that this Vark is keepin' you from yer daddy's ring and ship. I don't not put words in other people's mouths but I would be willin' to do fis for you. Seems like somefing fat is all above board and good. 200 gold is good too." She looks to her new-found companions to see if they agree or not.

Stegyre
2016-07-02, 05:14 PM
'Tienne

'Tienne is relieved at the dwarf setting the elves straight on matters of basic courtesy. "All the most important texts are in Draconic," they said. "Draconic is the language of scholarship," they said. I've never yet had to speak with a dragon, or even a kobold, and now I'm surrounded by elves. Internally, he rolls his eyes at yet another life mistake he can regret.

"The Jade Ravens. Heard of them," 'Tienne whispers under his breath, as the other party vanishes down the stairs. If he was going to be working with this disparate group, he might as well try to appear usefully knowledgeable to them.

As they are ushered in to meet their young host, 'Tienne's eyes drift over the décolletage. Is it uncomfortable to have them squeezed together like that? he wonders. Must remember to look in the eyes, only at the eyes. He hears her out, thinking only, I wonder how much of that is true?
sense motive [roll0]
The point of being a jack of all trades is to make lots of rolls in skills for which you have no proficiency whatsoever.

In contrast to Amara, 'Tienne, with his Int 13 (smart enough to think you're smart, but not smart enough to actually be smart), is mentally correcting her Common and adding the accent when he thinks of "décolletage."

As a young man, he spends too much time thinking "décolletage" and blushing every time he thinks he's been caught.

Ghostfoot
2016-07-03, 05:23 AM
Tyndall

Tyndall nods politely to the old halfling servant and takes a seat as offered. He blinks often, trying to stay focused on the words as his attention drifts to the splendid surroundings and the young woman herself. His attention refocuses at the mention of the miscreant Vark and the monies involved.

This was his chance - to serve once more with a wealthy house! What an opportunity. The lass looks trustworthy enough. More than trustworthy. Best keep quiet and try to look smart. "Lady Vanderboren, it would be an honour to assist you."

sense motive [roll0] Edit: Nothing to see here - sign me up!

redzimmer
2016-07-03, 08:41 AM
Locksley

Locksley is dazzled by the enchanting young woman, enraged by the tale of skullduggery, and emboldened by her plea for help.

"Such villainy cannot go unchecked, fair lady! Until I no longer draw breath, I shall seek your vengeance against these blackguards!"

The day suddenly was looking up!

Starbin
2016-07-03, 11:09 AM
Grimgor

The dwarf nodded grudgingly at the apologies, somewhat surprised that such fancy folk would be so quick to say they were sorry. But whether they were just humorist him or sincere was forgotten as the halfling returned to usher them into yet another room. Exiting was a group of four dressed in greens. While the half-elf seemed obnoxious, the dwarf had manners; Grimgor returned the nod with one of his own.

Once in the room, their hostess appeared - a well-dressed human who appears to be attractive given his companions reactions - and he listened to her story. It seemed straight forward enough, but Grimgor had been tricked before in the past - sometimes by a the truth, albeit twisted for someone else's purpose.

"Ye seem nice enow, but there be a sayin' - 'three sides t'every story ... Yer's, theirs, anda truth. Wot's ta prove ye got th'right o' it?

N' why ye needin' this lot", he waved to take in the group, "when he ye've got them Green Crows on th'payroll? Tha's gold enow t'pay yer fees agin, aye?"

Apparently the dwarf had two side to his personality - blunt and blunter.

Insuppose a sense motive would work, but it would probably be to the answer, since Grim already has questions :smallbiggrin:

DrK
2016-07-04, 01:35 AM
Tyndall
This was his chance - to serve once more with a wealthy house! What an opportunity. The lass looks trustworthy enough. More than trustworthy. Best keep quiet and try to look smart. "Lady Vanderboren, it would be an honour to assist you."

Locksley

Locksley is dazzled by the enchanting young woman, enraged by the tale of skullduggery, and emboldened by her plea for help.

"Such villainy cannot go unchecked, fair lady! Until I no longer draw breath, I shall seek your vengeance against these blackguards!"

The day suddenly was looking up!

Amara

After their new patron finished her spiel, Amara nodded, "I'm sorry you can't get to your vault. Don't seem right that this Vark is keepin' you from yer daddy's ring and ship. I don't not put words in other people's mouths but I would be willin' to do fis for you. Seems like somefing fat is all above board and good. 200 gold is good too." She looks to her new-found companions to see if they agree or not.

Lavinia smiles a dazzling smile at Tyndall, Amara and Locksley and thanks them for their offers if help. At Grimgors words...

Grimgor

"Ye seem nice enow, but there be a sayin' - 'three sides t'every story ... Yer's, theirs, anda truth. Wot's ta prove ye got th'right o' it?

N' why ye needin' this lot", he waved to take in the group, "when he ye've got them Green Crows on th'payroll? Tha's gold enow t'pay yer fees agin, aye?"

After speaking his piece, and a moment of awkward silence, he looked around. "Where's this lass at?"

Apparently the dwarf had two side to his personality - blunt and blunter.

Her eyes pop slightly at the bluntness of the dwarf's response before she gathers herself. It is a fair question Master Dwarf. You do not know me and not being from Sasserine you will not trust in the good name of my house.

The Jade Ravens are some I've worked with before but they are leaving the city on another matter of some urgency. With the recent deaths of my parents there is much to sort out and there are many costs I need to pay and need access to my ship.

Irrespective of the wharf fees Vark is preventing me boarding my own vessel and I suspect is using it for some shady endeavour. But here is proof of my words..

From a desk drawer she pulls out a heavy folder that details the deeds to the Blue Nixie (another ship deed has tear stains and is ripped, that one is the boat that recently burned to to waterline costing Lavinia her parents a month ago), other bts if paper detail a loan of 100pp from the Sasserine treasury and proof of delivery from a dwarven courier firm. I know I'm naive having dealt with that brigand Vark but my house is now in trouble and before this evidence can work through the watch we will be bankrupt! I cannot accept losing everything so soon after my parents death." Tears start in her face as she turns away, clearly embarrassed by her crying.

Starbin
2016-07-04, 02:02 AM
Grimgor

The dwarf listened carefully, takin note of the woman's words and seeming proof. She was right - he didn't know her or her family, but the story and deeds seemed to point to an issue. Nodding to himself, he started to speak when the woman turned away, her eyes bright.

Reaching into his pack, he pulled out a soft, gray cloth.

"Yer eyes be leakin', lads. Try this. Ah s'pose Ah'll be on yer retainer, too."

Looks like we've got a mission!

RCgothic
2016-07-04, 02:47 AM
Lara

Lara listens carefully to the brief, and to the responses before coming to a decision. Though she is perfectly capable of being bold and impetuous when the situation calls, she has never found any harm in being considerate where time is not at a premium. Nevertheless she finds herself moved by Lavinia's story (whilst making a mental note to get it corroborated later).

"My lady, you had me at Blue Nixie! She's a fine ship and I'll bet she's fast in stays! If you want someone who knows her ships, you've come to the right girl."

Stegyre
2016-07-04, 03:58 PM
'Tienne

Truth will out, 'Tienne thinks with a shrug. Her story sounded plausible, and if things weren't quite so, they would learn that quickly. What could possibly go wrong with Locksley involved? He has a private smile that vanishes almost as quickly as it came. Some in Cauldron probably think that of me. He feels embarrassed, ashamed, and in need of proving himself.

"Okay, I'm in," he says.

It's an interesting group of characters, 'Tienne thinks, as he looks around at the others. What could she have been thinking, or was she just scraping the bottom of the barrel. The Dwarf, well he had obvious assets. Wouldn't want to be opposite him in a fight. The sailor, when a ship was involved –Who better to say what's out of place and what it might mean?

The rest of them – the elves, the "old man," himself – well, if they needed to seduce this Vark or drink him under the table Locksley– glass houses, throwing stones. He sighs. I have issues.

DrK
2016-07-06, 12:50 AM
Lavinia smiles at you all, her face beaming. The stern looking halfling maid also smiles, nodding her head in approval and clapping her flour dusted hands together. "More good or drink? Or will you be heading on down to the docks? The Nixie is on wharf 4 of the sunset docks."

Lavinia smiles at her, "Thank you Kora but we don't need to chase our new friends out. Is there anything else you'd like to know? Do you need an advance to pick up anything before you go speak with that rogue Vark?"

any more questions before you head down to the docks? Or anywhere else?

redzimmer
2016-07-06, 08:08 AM
Locksley

Locksley thinks for a moment.

"If I may, I'd like your best attempt at a map of the ship's interior, as well as names of anyone you know who associates with Vark. As well any others persons of influence in the dock district,"

He empties his glass.

"Everyone has a vice or someone they fear. Tell me all you know, then point me to others who know more."

DrK
2016-07-07, 12:39 AM
She smiles at the bard's toast before getting Kora to fetch her some paper and a fine Inkpen with an exotic looking feather. "I don't know any of the blaggards men. He had maybe 4-5 that I saw when they took my money and laughed me off my ship. As for others... The harbour master is a doddering old fool who believes whatever Vark says of him.

She is moored in the Sunset docks at the end of the noble district. We all keep our ships to ourselves. I don't many others that way. Captain Lyrander of the Watch has already failed to help me.

As for the Nixie, I know her my eyes closed. I used to play on her with my father when she was in port.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5084/5373709782_cc26c41880_b.jpg

Felhammer
2016-07-07, 03:06 AM
Amara whistles as she pours over the schematics of the ship, "Good lookin' boat, Missy. I'd be interested in takin' a trip wiff you some day. What kind of cleric of Deep Sashelas would I be if I didn't like ships? 'Til fat day, we gotta get your kit back. Hey, you know anyone in fat part of town fat we could deal wiff? Sailors like money. We have money. Maybe we could pay someone to help us get onto fe ship?"

Ghostfoot
2016-07-07, 04:59 AM
Tyndall

Tyndall scratches his beard as he thinks through the situation, hoping that one of the other newcomers is a genius of strategic planning because his head is beginning to hurt.

"Whatever results from a meeting with Vark we need to make sure we recover Lady Lavinia's berthing fees. Could we arrange a distraction of sorts to cover a search of the ship? Or should we accuse the man directly? If we can get access nearby maybe we should take a look at what's going on."

We are headed to location #2 on the map, right? What's the big building just next to the wharf?

Stegyre
2016-07-07, 06:51 PM
'Tienne

'Tienne looks over the ship design. "If a couple of us could entertain and distract the guards at the gangplank, I think I could get the rest of us on board, especially if we did it late at night. I have a small rowboat we could use to approach from the seaward side. They may not be watching that side while in dock.

"I don't see any portholes on your diagram, Lady Vanderboren. Are there any that might be large enough to climb through without having to come on deck?"

Felhammer
2016-07-07, 06:53 PM
The wood elf runs her hand down her scale shirt in a slightly panicked manner, "Uhh, you sure? Holes are small and my armor is kinda big..."

Stegyre
2016-07-07, 07:14 PM
'Tienne

. . .

She's cute, but definitely not the brightest elf in the woods.

Out loud, 'Tienne says, "You're probably right. I'll bet it's heavy, too. Do you think you can swim in it? If not, better leave it behind. You might drown if you fell overboard, and it's easy to do that in a rowboat."
Now, I'm just waiting for the time she does fall into the water, fully armored and is given up for lost – at least by 'Tienne – only to walk ashore along the bottom, none the worse for wear.

'Tienne-shut-my-mouth.

redzimmer
2016-07-07, 08:52 PM
Locksley

"As it so happens, distractions are rather my stock-and-trade. What did you have in mind?"

Stegyre
2016-07-07, 11:03 PM
'Tienne

"I was thinking something that engages the one or two men likely to be guarding the gangplank and even draws those who may be on deck. I'd prefer 'loud,' in case we have trouble keeping quiet as we sneak around. Beyond that, though, I don't think I could tell you how to do what you do.

"It might be helpful if we could watch the ship for a day to see how many are on it, then board tomorrow night. I don't know. How urgently do we need to get this done?

"As for who goes where," 'Tienne shrugs. "I don't really know what people's talents are. I think the sailor," he nods at Lara, "should be on the ship, but that's just a suggestion. I don't know what the rest of you think."

DrK
2016-07-09, 12:40 PM
With little more questions barring a shake of the head regarding the portholes Laviia excuses herself and leaves you with food and drink for a while before bymutal agreement Kora wishes to well and sees you to the gates.

The merchants district late afternoon is packed with the hum of life in Sasserine and where all the social classes from one legged scabborous beggars to rich noblewomen born aloft on palaquins carried by sweating bare chested bearers mix in the paved streets. Down the alleys the seamier side of life can be seen, beggars, drums, other people imbibing more exotic substances found in the jungle flora or for more foreign climes. Twice you see bodies from the previous night's intermittent guild war as thieves settle things where they don't offend the watch.

The merchant docks are a sea of trading vessel. Caravels and Galleons from all lands rubbing shoulders with longboats from the barbarian kingdoms and delicate looking Dhows from the various desert caliphates. It doesn't take much more than a few coppers for one of the local ferrymen waiting with their skiffs and poles to take the drunken sailors back to their vessels to point out the Blue Nixie. A shake of the head and a warning "She ain't the friendliest of vessels. Don't know what they is carrying but it stinks to high heavens!".

Down the end of pier five and then moored some 100ft out in the estuary she lies. A graceful triple masted caravel some 120ft long. Even in the dim evening sun you can see a trio of pirates on deck clustered around a brazier. A faint sound of singing and and the glint of a flask being passed around suggesting that they are not the most attentive of guards.

Starbin
2016-07-09, 02:13 PM
Grimgor

As the group made plans, Grimgor nodded to himself. It seemed logical to create a distraction to board the ship. He himself was ill-suited to swimming, stealth or subterfuge but he could do loud.

"Ah be a scrapper. Th'best way Ah kin help is wit me axe 'n pike. They both talk pretty loud ...".

At the docks, Grimgor looked around. He was still dress d in his armor, but was now carrying a long, wicked looking pike. "Wot now?"

Lead me, oh leader!

Stegyre
2016-07-09, 04:34 PM
'Tienne

Down the end of pier five and then moored some 100ft out in the estuary she lies.
'Tienne looks at the vessl moored a hundred feet from shore. "I had not anticipated that," he confesses. Looking embarrassed, he adds, "I thought fees only applied to a ship that was actually docked at one of the piers."

So now it's pretty obvious I don't know what I'm talking about, he thinks.

"I can still get us out to the boat. I can even help get us aboard. For a distraction, though –" his eye again catches the glint of the flask. "Perhaps Locksley could play a spirits seller, rowing among the ships to ply his wares. Grimgor could play the role of bodyguard. Get them drunk enough, maybe you could even drug them?" He looks around at the others, questioningly. "(I think we'll need to rent a second boat.)"

Ghostfoot
2016-07-09, 05:21 PM
Tyndall

Tyndall bows politely to Lady Vanderboren and to the kind halfling as he departs.

When they reach the hustle and bustle of the docks he looks to his companions for guidance. "I have some skill at arms, and some minor talent for the magiks. If I can get close I can sweep the ship for any magical wards, not that it's likely. And I can help with a more enticing collection of liquors or other distractions to lure them. Whatever you think is best". He thinks back to all the vile food he had to scavenge as a castaway and how he learnt to make it somewhat more palatable.

I've got detect magic, prestidigitation and light, for what it's worth. And Tyndall definitely ain't no leader or planner so he'll follow whoever takes charge.

redzimmer
2016-07-09, 06:31 PM
Locksley

"It might require an investment, but I have some of my 'be a stranger' stipend from grandfather."

40 gp, 5 sp. Let's buy some plonk and rent a boat. I also have a minor disguise cantrip which might at least not tip our hand early.

The bard surveillance the docks for a liquor merchant.

"Tyndall, my noble friend! Have you a cantrip which might make the rotgut more... oh, I don't know, appealing?"

Stegyre
2016-07-09, 07:18 PM
'Tienne

"It might require an investment, but I have some of my 'be a stranger' stipend from grandfather."
'Tienne looks vaguely uncomfortable: he has a somewhat similar stipend, himself.
I can match whatever Locksley can throw into the pot, though I don't imagine this plan should cost us much.
Rental of another rowboat for a night's fishing, when the entire boat could be purchased for 50 gp, I figure should be 1 gp or less. The spirits may cost a bit more. My suggestion would be to buy the strongest alcohol we can, and use Tyndall's prestidigitation not only to make it taste better but also weaker, so the pirates don't realize just how drunk they're getting.

Detect magic reconnaissance also sounds like a really good idea.

Ghostfoot
2016-07-09, 08:49 PM
Tyndall

"Tyndall, my noble friend! Have you a cantrip which might make the rotgut more... oh, I don't know, appealing?"

"Good idea! I have a little trick that will do just the thing. It'll make the most ordinary swill taste like liqueur from the finest cellar. I use it often. It'll last an hour so I can fix it in advance."

redzimmer
2016-07-09, 10:03 PM
Tyndall

"Good idea! I have a little trick that will do just the thing. It'll make the most ordinary swill taste like liqueur from the finest cellar. I use it often. It'll last an hour so I can fix it in advance."

Locksley

"How grand! I shall quickly compose a musical ditty to promote my wares then we shall gather said wares! Er, anyone have a boat?"

Felhammer
2016-07-11, 01:18 AM
Amara

The cleric hustled on with her new companions down to the docks. She listens to the plan and nods questioningly, "Sounds good. I fink. Bit complex. What do I do?"

DrK
2016-07-11, 01:20 AM
It takes seconds for Locksleys beady eyes to pick out a cart full of bottles of rotgut rum with a couple of tough looking sailors beside it. Equally easy to find are one of the dozens of river boats where men to tired or jaded to fish offer cheap transport around Sasserine on their longboats.

Prices range from a few CP per person to a couple of SP per person depending on what you want them to do.

RCgothic
2016-07-11, 01:28 AM
Lara

Lara agrees with the others - there's little point talking to the dock clerk if he's crooked, it will just alert them that they're coming. The plan to pose as liquor sellers seems quite likely to work to her.

redzimmer
2016-07-11, 02:19 PM
Locksley

With the aplomb he believes he possesses, Locksley takes some time to first attempt to get a boat rental-complete with pilot-for the whole of the day.

He then approaches the liquor seller and haggles for as much cheap plonk as 20 gp and 5 sp can buy.

[roll0] for the boat plus pilot
[roll1] for liquor sales

And just to be safe, he then drops another 10 gold pieces around the dock district to determine who he has to bribe for a merchant license.

[roll]1d20+7 Er. Yeah. To the OOC!! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=20988265&postcount=116)

Starbin
2016-07-11, 05:09 PM
Grimgor

The dwarf followed the group, stomping about and glaring at those who looked oddly at them. He even growled at an urchin or two who got too close to his 'employer.' He might not be much for subtlety, but he was excellent at the role of unapproachable guard.

Following the others for now ...

DrK
2016-07-13, 12:41 AM
The bard's antics soon procure them a boat, a drunk fisherman and a dozen or so bottles of local Sasserine rum that clink happily together. It takes all of 15 minutes before the 6 "merchants" are able to pile into the stout longboat. The bleary eyed fisherman looking at you all, "Where to you going?"

RCgothic
2016-07-13, 01:58 AM
Lara

Lara is not impressed by this fool, but she hadn't been able to spot anyone better, so they'll just need to make do.

"To the Nixie," she instructs. "But not directly. We want it to look like we tried to sell to other ships first."

Ghostfoot
2016-07-13, 07:02 AM
Tyndall

Tyndall speaks a few words of magic as he gestures over the booze, the sorcerous veneer making one or two of the bottles of turps seem to be something other than crude rotgut.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/01/22/article-0-07F55040000005DC-704_468x286.jpg

Stegyre
2016-07-13, 10:55 AM
'Tienne

The plan was coming along swimmingly (sailingly?), except 'Tienne thought a boatfull of wine merchants might strike even inebriated pirates as suspicious. "I thought some of us might use my boat to approach the ship from the other side, while Locksley gets the crew drunk," he volunteers.

redzimmer
2016-07-13, 12:06 PM
Locksley

"Indeed. We may draw less unwanted attention as well. Good Captain! Return us to shore so we might better...er, sell. Our wine."

[roll0]

Starbin
2016-07-13, 04:20 PM
Grimgor

The dwarf growled for a moment, looking around. "So who d'ye want me ta follow?"

Following the others for now ...

Status
HPs: 15; AC: 17
F +5, R +2, W +1
Listen/Search/Spot +1; Balance +5; Concentration +7
Punishing Stance
Steel Strike, Moment of Perfect Mind, Charging Minotaur (3/3)
Effects:None

DrK
2016-07-14, 01:19 AM
The fisherman shrugs and sips at the bottle with a look that clearly says "it's your money, I don't care...." And soon takes you back to the busy wharf where a few of you with Tyndall find a second rowboat for hire and are soon out in the warm tropical estuary waters...

Felhammer
2016-07-14, 01:03 PM
Amara

"I love fe sea. It reminds me of fe Dolphin Prince." She breathes in deeply and smiles warmly.

Stegyre
2016-07-14, 09:00 PM
'Tienne

. . . back to the busy wharf where a few of you with Tyndall find a second rowboat for hire . . . and are soon out in the warm tropical estuary waters...
"No, not that one," 'Tienne waves them on. "My own boat is moored down here. It isn't much, but I figure I had to start somewhere."
So we have the hired boat for the Verdant Wyrm, aquatic wine sellers, led by Locksley, and the more discrete, don't-look-at-us-we're-just-trawling-along group in 'Tienne's rowboat. Who wants to go in which?

redzimmer
2016-07-14, 09:35 PM
Locksley

"Master Grimgor, I would be honoured if you remain at my side. If things get squirrely with the sailors, I prefer five feet of steel between me and them."

He appraises his other new compatriots. The delightfully creepy 'Tienne of course would pilot his own boat. And more than a couple wine merchants would draw suspicion.

"Perhaps the rest of you are better suited playing the 'switch' half of our 'bait & switch.' Too many merchants spoil the boat, as my beloved aunt Chlamydia would say."

Locksley and Grimgor provide the distraction while 'Tienne, Amara, Tyndall & Lara sneak up the other way.

To complete the facade, he casts a minor disguise to give his features a rougher, more poorly-toothed appearance.

http://www.hotflick.net/flicks/2006_The_Prestige/006PSG_David_Bowie_002.jpg

Felhammer
2016-07-14, 11:45 PM
Amara

"I will go wif 'Tienne 'cause a man is only as good as his boat," says the woman with a smile.

RCgothic
2016-07-15, 02:49 AM
Lara

"That's a sound plan, Locksley," the sailor agrees. "A merchant and his bodyguard is more believable than four other superfluous bodies. You take your boat with Grimgor and approach them directly. A short time after, we'll cross the harbour as though we're going somewhere else. At the last moment we'll change course to come up under their stern galleries and we can make our way up on deck from there."

Ghostfoot
2016-07-15, 03:43 AM
Tyndall

Tyndall sits himself in the rowboat with the other three, ready to follow orders when someone calls the bluff. He prepares himself to sweep the boat for magic when they get a bit closer, and as he is trying to focus himself his mind drifts to the cumbersome armour that he is still wearing...um, on second thought I probably shouldn't have worn that...

Preparing to cast spell-like ability detect magic when within range (60ft). He'll stay back from any conversation and do a full sweep if possible. Hoping that he can get the whole boat and that the wood of the ship doesn't block the effect.

Starbin
2016-07-15, 11:18 AM
Grimgor

After some brief conversation, the pretty man requested Grimgor accompany him on one of the boats. Nodding curtly, he followed him and sat down, raising an eye as the man magiked himself. "Let's git goin'"

Grimgor will help row or whatever, but otherwise he's useless until it's time to start smacking folks.

Status
F +5, R +2, W +1
Punishing Stance

Stegyre
2016-07-15, 05:33 PM
'Tienne

'Tienne seats himself in the bow of his own boat. "Would you mind rowing?" he asks the others. "I need a rest for about an hour. Locksley," he calls to the other boat. "Give us about that long plying the other ships before you approach the 'Nixie.'"

Seated comfortably (relatively) in the bow, he closes his eyes and appears to go to sleep.
No, I'm not shaping my soulmeld for the day. Just ignore me. Look: squirrel!
Blink Shirt, of course. How better to get on deck without attracting attention. Then he'll drop a rope for the others to climb up. Should be a lot more discrete than throwing a grappnel.

When am I without my blinking? I swear, the few (one) character I have active without it, I repeatedly find myself thinking, "I'll just . . . oh, damn!"

DrK
2016-07-16, 01:11 AM
The merchant boat begins to approach the bow of the "Nixie". As Locksley shouts up a couple of drunken looking crew appear at the bow. Both look villanious but happy at the bottles in the boat. " Who you be? But would that be grog in your little dinghy there?"... Two other thugs stand by him and you can hear more voices from an open trapdoor that leads down off the deck.

At the stern as the second rowboat cruises past it turns a little towards the Nixie, Tyndall's magical senses reach out but can find nothing on the boat...

Starbin
2016-07-16, 10:10 AM
Grimgor

The dwarf sat silently, eyeing the crew as he marked any potential 'problems.' No need to speak, since Fancy McFacechanger seemed inclined to run his gums ... and was a damn sight better than Grimgor at it.

Man, this guy has no perception ... unless he gets lucky! [roll0], [roll1]
WDIT: How oddly parallel ...

Status
F +5, R +2, W +1
Punishing Stance

RCgothic
2016-07-16, 11:57 AM
Lara

Lara stands in the bow of the second boat, waiting for Tienne to pass down a rope and preventing the two vessels coming together in a way that might cause any noise.

Stegyre
2016-07-16, 01:06 PM
'Tienne
For those who notice, 'Tienne now seems to be wearing a "rough-looking garment . . . over [his] armor and other clothing . . . made of coarse brown fur . . . . The shirt seems to shift and move on its own, and it fades into a barely corporeal mist near [his] waist. Most disconcerting of all, patches of the garment seem transparent, as if they have temporarily shifted to some strange elsewhere."
"How long do you think he needs to get them good and drunk?" he whispers to the others. Having no experience with strong (or weak) spirits, 'Tienne is in the dark, himself.
My goal is that we let the pirates get thoroughly inebriated, rather than merely distracted. Whenever the others want, though, he will blink to the very back of the poop deck, loop his rope around a stay, and lower it to the others, so they can climb aboard.

If it matters:
[roll0] [roll1]

redzimmer
2016-07-16, 01:18 PM
Locksley

"Ahoy there Captain!"

Locksley is well aware the sea dog is probably no such thing, but flattery is the lubricant of industry!

"I am a humble merchant of spirits, plying my trade to those stuck in harbor without furlough! Five coppers a bottle or three for a silver!"

[roll0] diplomacy
[roll1] Bluff I am also here to relieve you and take over! Feel free to take this boat to shore!
[roll2] Sense Motive. How best to fast-talk the shipmate. Is he a drunk, a slacker, a rare case of s dedicated mook who takes his job seriously?

"A sample is in order. First bottle on the house!"

Drawing the enchanted bottle, he proffers it up to the speaker.

Ghostfoot
2016-07-17, 07:00 AM
Tyndall

"It's clear. No magic." Tyndall says quietly. His hand rests on his weapon and he waits patiently for the signal, ready to act.

DrK
2016-07-18, 12:49 AM
The Bow

As Locksley offers up a bottle the three guards motion for him (and his guard if he wants) to join them up on deck, the first bottle being cheerfully opened and sampled with appreciative grunts. "Not bad stuff this. How much fer the case?"

Even as they are conducting the trade the door to the sterncastle opens and a rough looking vagrant staggers out. Squint eyed, balding and with broken pipe stained teeth he looks villanious and you wonder how Lavinia could ever have trusted such a man!
I'm Vark, this is my ship. You'd best have one there for me Blondie before you be trading with my men!".

http://cdn.obsidianportal.com/assets/56995/220px-Soller_vark.png

At the stern

Coming up under the stern Tyndall and Lara hold onto the Nixie to prevent any bumping as Tienne, now wearing his Blink shirt pops off the boat onto the stern castle some 10ft above them, crouched down behind a pair of large coils of rope dumped atop a barrel to hide from the main deck he can peek through and see Locksley and Grimgor on the deck offering to 3 bottles and Soller Vark. A ladder on the open trapdoor on the deck leading to below decks has lights on suggesting maybe a few more crew of thieves.

With the deck gang distracted Tienne easily funds some rope, excess from one of the lines up to the mast, and the thick tar smeared rope splashes into the water beside the boat with Tyndall, Lara and Amara in it. Their boatmen holding the dingy steady, watching with suspicious eyes but saying nothing.

RCgothic
2016-07-18, 01:10 AM
Lara

Lara grabs hold of the rope and begins climbing.

Climb vs DC5 - rope with a wall to brace against [roll0]

redzimmer
2016-07-18, 02:52 AM
Locksley

Reaching for the second ensconcelled bottle and gives it to Vark.

"The price of doing business, Mr. Vark," he says chummily.

"All my stock? Let's say ten silver? No. I am being a skinflint. Eight silver! But you promise if you even need more you give ol' Jasper a shout! Jasper being me," he adds helpfully.

Starbin
2016-07-18, 03:01 AM
Grimgor

The dwarf followed the 'merchant' aboard, adopting a relaxed stance as he eyed the pirates with obvious interest. He wasn't bluffing - these scum didn't scare him, and he wasn't about to get gutted by some drunken ship rat. When the 'captain' came out, he looked the man up and down, settling back as the call for more booze went up.

The only question was how long it would take this lot to drink themselves to excess. And how many would end up at the business end of his pike.

Waiting for now ...

Status
F +5, R +2, W +1
Punishing Stance

Ghostfoot
2016-07-18, 05:21 AM
Tyndall

As Lara scampers deftly up the rope Tyndall looks at the rope and over to Amara. "Ladies first..." he gestures.

Okay this could go badly wrong. Tyndall will wait to be the last to climb up, but he's not quite smart or wise enough to hold off any longer or think it through any further. Hopefully if he falls it is from a height of 0ft!

Here's the roll anyways: Climb vs DC5? [roll0] Edit: Phew at least it's a "no progress" not a "fall and drown before the first encounter even starts"

Felhammer
2016-07-18, 11:55 AM
Amara

The elf tugs on the rope and smiles, "Been a long time since I had to climb a rope. I feel like a kid again." She deftly clambers up with the grace befitting someone who grew up in the forest... Except the poor girl forgot she was wearing armor...

So... She has a 1 in DEX but a -4 due to her armor.

[roll0]

EDIT: The sheet included the check penaty already! So my modifier should be +1. So my roll should be 3+3=6 +1 for modifier = 7!

DrK
2016-07-20, 01:55 AM
Stern

Quickly and relatively easily Lara and Amara join Tienne crouched on the aft castle ducking behind the wheel, barrels and pulleys to stay out of sight of the men on deck. Only Tyndall waiting to come up next.

Bow

Vark eyes Jasper with his squint eyes before taking another sip of the enchanted booze. Aye. That be good grog, one I've no had before. And I've had a lot of differn' drinks. I'll get me coins Jasper, you bring the booze up. On bottle apiece lads tonight, when they are on deck take sone bottles down to the other lads. I dinnae want that cage unwatched!,

Orders given he walks with a swaying walk back towards his appropriated cabin in the aft castle.

RCgothic
2016-07-20, 02:44 AM
Lara

Realising Tyndall is having difficulty, Lara shuffles low into the deck so as to keep out of sight, braces herself against the bulwark with both feet and pulls.

Cunning Hide: [roll0]
Cunning Climb (Aid other): [roll1]

Felhammer
2016-07-20, 02:52 AM
Amara

Amara flashes a kind smile toward Lara. Once aboard, Amara tries her best to stay quiet and hidden but given the sheer bulk of her armor, the task proves difficult, to say the least. Although trying, she resists the urge to peak above the barrels to see what is going on. The act of resistance very much weighs heavily on the poor girl. But she repeats an old line her grand mother used to say, "Curiosity burned the Ent," constantly in her head.

Ghostfoot
2016-07-20, 03:06 AM
Tyndall

Almost there, just about..."Be right with you...". Those younger folk made it look easy.

Assuming he hasn't given the game away he'll keep trying

Climb vs DC? [roll0]
Climb vs DC? [roll1]
Climb vs DC? [roll2]
Climb vs DC? [roll3]
Climb vs DC? [roll4]
Climb vs DC? [roll5]

redzimmer
2016-07-20, 10:06 AM
Locksley

"I respect a captain who looks after his crew," Locksley says with another bow.

"Mister G, please hold steady the ropes while I retrieve our product."

As he climbs down to the dinghy and labouriously takes up bottles two at a time, he begins to sing a shanty as loud as his voice will carry.

sigh

Ooooooooohhh,

Yer sister must be a basilisk
For she kills me with a glance!
Yer sister must be a cockatrice
'Cuz thar's a stone in me pants...

He promises himself to never do such a thing again. He fears the crew might attack him for the quality of his performance.

"I guess the performing arts are beyond the purvey of a simple spirits dealer, aye?"

Starbin
2016-07-20, 08:43 PM
Grimgor

Grimgor nodded, stepping over to wrap the rope around his wrist and held it taut. Once he had it pulled tight enough, he nodded to the 'merchant.'

There you go ...

Status
F +5, R +2, W +1
Punishing Stance

DrK
2016-07-22, 01:40 AM
The crude lyrics raise a smile and a cheer from the sailors and a shout from below as another 2 rough looking vagabonds come up on deck. Vark shouting a hurried - oi, Garl, get back below, 2 on the cage to keep an eye on it!

Looking back at the Bars he grins, It's like a bull shark trying to sing Jasper, best you be sticking to selling grog. His eyes light up as a the case of bottles comes up on deck.

[roll0] [roll1] [roll2] [roll3]

Stealth
Tyndall [roll4]
Lara [roll5]
Tienne [roll6]
Amara [roll7]

At the back of the boat Tyndall is dragged on the deck and thumps loudly rolling onto the middle of the aft castle. One of the sailors turns, eyes widening, You, Oi, we got folk sneaking on the boat!

redzimmer
2016-07-22, 07:44 AM
Locksley

Continuing to sing as though unaware of the alarm, Locksley tries to put Grimgor between him and the soldiers.

[roll0] bluff
And walk behind the dwarf.

As he watches the situation unravel, he readies himself for the Dragonsong.

"Ah! They've come for me! Beware my friends! A look in their eyes will petrify you!"

Starbin
2016-07-22, 05:43 PM
Grimgor

Grimgor gripped his pike, stepping forward to guard Locksley. "'Ere now, git behind me lad ..." Grimgor wasn't sure how things would go down, but he was prepared to make things difficult if the situation turned ugly.

so stepping back to guard Locksley - slipping into his stance.

Status
F +5, R +2, W +1
Punishing Stance

Stegyre
2016-07-22, 06:28 PM
'Tienne

At the loud sound of pulling Tyndal on board, followed by the sailor's overheard warning, 'Tienne curses. "Profanity!" Not much of a curse. It's as if he knows only the definition of an expletive, rather than any of the actual words. He has far to go to be a true sailor.

"Bluff? he whispers to Lara. "Maybe claim you're hunting 'Jasper' for stealing your ale. I just want to stall them while I slip below to see what's in that cage."
I'm assuming we don't yet get to take combat-type actions. When we do, 'Tienne's plan is to duck behind cover and then "blink" below, into the hold.

It looks an awful lot like abandoning his recent team mates, so this could get awkward.

DrK
2016-07-23, 04:25 AM
Spying the people creeping on the boat Vark stares at Locksley. You be trying yo trick 'ole Vark. Bet you be working for that Vandeboren bitch. I'm going to gut you stem to stern and feed you to the beast.

Come on ye buggers. Kill them!

Hands move to blades as Vark gives 'Jasper' a hard scowl.

Go go party!

RCgothic
2016-07-23, 08:35 AM
Lara

"Any man who draws metal is a dead man!" Lara yells, drawing her own prodigious greatsword.

Cunning Intimidate [roll0]

Stegyre
2016-07-23, 09:54 AM
'Tienne

While Lara draws the scoundrels' attention, 'Tienne drops back out of sight before disappearing altogether.
Move action to get behind cover. [roll0] (If needed: from 'Tienne's perspective, he'd much rather the pirates think he was still somewhere on deck, though even if they saw him blink out, I doubt they'd know the difference between invisibility and teleportation, unless they could identify his soulmeld.)

Standard action: blink down to the hold. Assuming he could tell where "Garl" was coming from, 'Tienne wants to be down there, assuming it's within 20' of his present position. If not, he may need to do two blinks: first directly down into the captain's cabin, then to the hold next turn.

He's hoping that whatever's in the cage might prove useful against the pirates. Of course, he may be very disappointed, but on the bright side, it's not likely to be a CR 14 demon . . . .

redzimmer
2016-07-23, 10:50 AM
Locksley

"A pity, I was almost starting to like you."

Seeing violence is now the plan, he allows the dwarf all the room he needs, while he sings the Dragonsong.

Lose the +1 morale bonus, gain +1d6 acid damage with you weapons while in effect.

Ghostfoot
2016-07-23, 01:57 PM
Tyndall

Momentarily confused by his own team's charade and the hubbub of shouting, Tyndall nevertheless registers that the jig is up and violence is at hand. He leaps out from behind his tiny barrel, bow in hand. "A-ha!"

The joys of BAB+0. No drawing a weapon and chewing gum at the same time.

Move action: Draw longbow.
Standard action: Ready an attack vs anyone attacking us, preferably a mook approaching Locksley. Longbow [roll0] damage [roll1]+ acid [roll2] Edit: clearly a warning shot :smallwink:

I'm guessing from this map (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=20972358&postcount=29) that the nearest enemy is at least 20ft away from Tyndall.

Tyndall Jarispur (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=855662)
M CG Human Marshal 1, Level 1, Init 2, HP 11/11, Speed 20ft
AC 17, Touch 12, Flat-footed 15, Fort 5, Ref 2, Will 1, Base Attack Bonus 0
Scimitar +0 (1d6, 18-20/ x2)
Longbow (20 arrows) +1 (1d8, x3)
Chainmail armour,
Abilities Str 10, Dex 14, Con 16, Int 8, Wis 8, Cha 16
Condition Master of Tactics: All allies within 60ft get +3 circumstance bonus to damage when flanking
Dragonfire Inspiration: +1d6 acid damage

Starbin
2016-07-23, 03:29 PM
Grimgor

Grimgor grinned as he raised the pike. "'Oye, now ye be seekin' me language." Grimgor heard the threat from the other side of the ship, be he wasn't about to wait for them to actually draw their weapons before he did something - damn pirate had threatened to gut him.

Now it was time to show them the error of their ways.

Five foot step if necessary, initiate Steely Strike (attack two opponents) - hopefully one will be Vark (1st attack vs Vark, if possible). He should already be in his stance, but if not swift to enter.

[roll0], [roll1], [roll2]
[roll3], [roll4], [roll5]

Status
HPs: 15; AC: 15
F +5, R +2, W +1
Punishing Stance (+1d6 damage; -2 AC)
Steely strike, Moment of Perfect Mind, Charging Minotaur (3/3)
Effects: Stance, Inspiration

DrK
2016-07-24, 01:02 AM
Chaos breaks out on deck as the party is spotted at Vark shouts his threats... Locksley's song changes subtlety growing in power, inspiring your blows and leaving weapons glowing with a bronze finish.

At the stern Lara draws her sword shout loudly but her voice is drowned out by the roar of the drunken pirates, Tyndall draws his bow and shoots as a pirate moves at Locksley but the arrow thuds into a barrel. Grimgor is brutal as he draws his long dwarven warpike and drives it forward with great force seeking to skewer Vark and the man behind him! The blow is brutal stabbing through Vark burning with acid before taking the man behind in the throat! The man collapses as Vark curses....

At the back Tienne blinks 20ft straight down, appearing in the galley. Dirty pans and plates and open crates of supplies suggests a lack of culinary skills. The door lead bow wards you think will lead you into the main hold.

Vark manages to draw free his cutlass and takes a step to drive his sword into Grimgor as do two of his men as they run forward into range of the long warpike,one going for Locksley.
The last one on deck turns and draws a throwing axe hurling it at Tyndall!
Below decks you hear shouts from Garl and another sailor as they are alerted!

Vark 5ft step and stab
[roll0] dam [roll1]

2 pirates (both trigger AoO from Warpike - but you've only got one AoO)
Vs Grimgor [roll2] dam [roll3]
Vs Locksley [roll4] dam [roll5]

Throwing axe vs Tyndall
Move to 15ft away
[roll6] dam [roll7]

redzimmer
2016-07-24, 01:58 AM
Locksley

Locksley winces as the dwarf takes a blow meant for him.

Ducking the wild swing of the brigand, Locksley continues to sing, choosing a dwarven marching song to honour his brave friend.

And we will march five hundred miles
And we will march five hundred more
Just to kill a thousand orcs
And change the magic password
On our doooooooooooooor!

Starbin
2016-07-24, 02:16 AM
Grimgor

Grimgor ginned as his pike cut down one of his foes, even if Vark managed to survive. The cuss managed to draw a blade a slip into Grimor's reach, slicing deeply into his side. The dwarf nodded at the man, knowing this one would be a challenge. "Ye be a quick f)&ker, aye? Let the dance go on ... try 'n keep up."

As two men moved in to attack, the pike lashed out. Then Grimgor stepped back, focused and swung again at his opponent.

Five foot step back, swift action to recover maneuvers with a melee attack.

[roll0], [roll1], [roll2]
[roll3], [roll4], [roll5] PS - Vark should have one more point of damage from last time since I miscalculated my Str bonus

Status
HPs: 11 or 3; AC: 15
F +5, R +2, W +1
Punishing Stance (+1d6 damage; -2 AC)
Effects: Stance, Inspiration

Ghostfoot
2016-07-24, 03:42 AM
Tyndall

Tyndall smiles, quite pleased with the prowess of his new companion the dwarf as Grimgor starts laying about. He sees the ruffian approaching from the corner of his eye and the axe whirling fast toward him. He tries to duck back but the blade slices neatly through chainmail links leaving a large gash on his upper leg before thunking into the railing.

"Gah! Come on then!" he taunts, emboldened by his newfound companions and righteous task for the noble benefactor. He shoots again at the fast approaching thug but somehow manages to completely miss the man.

Standard action: Longbow vs sailor [roll0] damage [roll1]+ acid [roll2]
Free action: Drop longbow
Move action: Draw scimitar

M CG Human Marshal 1, Level 1, Init 2, HP 6/11, Speed 20ft
AC 17, Touch 12, Flat-footed 15, Fort 5, Ref 2, Will 1, Base Attack Bonus 0
Longbow (20 arrows) +1 (1d8, x3)
Chainmail armour, (+5 Armor, +0 Shield, +2 Dex)
[B]Abilities Str 10, Dex 14, Con 16, Int 8, Wis 8, Cha 16
Condition Master of Tactics: All allies within 60ft get +3 circumstance bonus to damage when flanking
Dragonfire Inspiration: +1d6 acid damage

RCgothic
2016-07-24, 12:54 PM
Lara

Lara, quick-footed, steps behind the guard assaulting Tyndall. Her sword describes a mighty arc!

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1] plus [roll2] acid

Stegyre
2016-07-24, 04:20 PM
'Tienne

Below decks, 'Tienne tries to sneak up to the galley door to peek into the hold.
Move action up to the door – which I hope is at least partly open.
[roll0]

EDIT: Does the galley door open in or out?

Felhammer
2016-07-24, 11:21 PM
Amara

The elf is befuddled by the sudden move to violence. Quickly adjusting herself to the new reality, she draws her bow and looses an arrow at the enemy assaulting Tyndall.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1], lethal.

DrK
2016-07-26, 06:42 AM
On the deck the fighting gets up close and personal as the axe slashes across Tyndall's leg and Vark manages to nick the angry spear wielding dwarf. Sadly the other purate rushing in to stab Grimgor is less skilled and howls as he is pierced through the chest, some 3ft of pike protruding from him, before Grimgor swings the body around preventing the other one reaching Locklsey. The bard switches songs to a horrible proclaiming he'd walk 500 miles and the sound distracts Vark so that the dwarf is easily able to slip forward and drive his pike through Vark's throat, the criminal collapsing bubbling curses as he dies! The pirate attacking Tyndall barely has time to ready his cutlass before Lara jumps down beside him, a powerful swing of her sword almost disembowelling the hapless pirate!

The last pirate on deck by Locksley and Grimgor looks around before withdrawing to the bow and launching himself with a splash into the bay and striking out for shore. You don't fancy his chances as you can make out out a couple of small V-shaped fins moving towards him!

In the hold Tienne creeps to the door and peers into the messy and busy hold. Crates are ripped open, cloth, fabrics and bottles gleaming in the stripes of light filtering between the deck planks above. The port side wall is lined with cages, most empty, some with shackles suggesting humanoid prisoners and some with odd looking animals. The largest maybe 10ft in front of him bearing a massive vermin like creature!

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd213/DaveMaple/Savage%20Tide/Rhagodessa.jpg

By the crate, clutching a lantern and a cutlass you can see the guard looking at the trapdoor onto the deck with a fearful expression. One highlighted as a dead pirate slumps across the entrance with a massive hole torn through his chest, blood leaking down the stairs, the weird spider beast starting to get visibly agitated!

No pirates left. The dwarf killed them all! Go go party

RCgothic
2016-07-26, 07:00 AM
Lara

Lara wipes the blade from her sword, but leaves it unsheathed for now.

"Taut work all. Hey Grimgor! Nice moves! That was what, three? Four? I think we can give credit for four." She congratulates. "Amara, see to our wounds."

Lara swaggers up to the main hatch, gesturing for Locksley to join her. She taps the frame with her sword for attention.

"Ahoy down there! The ship is ours, and your mates are dead! Don't be stupid like them, you hear!? Nobody's getting harmed who gives us no trouble."

Cunning Diplomacy, aid another. DC10[roll0]

redzimmer
2016-07-26, 08:43 AM
Locksley

With the battle over, Locksley ceases his tune. Seeing the wound on Grimgor, the bard again cringes.

"The blood of the Great Thanes of Auld runs true in you, my friend, he says respectfully.

Reaching into his stylish man-purse, he hands Grimgor a cure light wounds potion.

He then joins Lara at the hatch.

"Your man Vark is dead! There is no need to answer for his sins! Drop your weapons and leave in peace!"

[roll0]

"You can even keep the wine!"

Felhammer
2016-07-26, 01:24 PM
Amara

The elf rushes over to heal the wounded. Blessings of the Dolphin Prince upon you. Soon, you shall be as fit and ready to fight as a great Shark."

CLW: [roll0]

I also have 3 Cure Minor Wounds, if we need more healing.

Starbin
2016-07-26, 04:30 PM
Grimgor

With two swift blows, Grimgor fell the rushing pirate and dropped Vark with a blow to the neck. As the man died, Grimgor shook his head. "Yer mouth was quicker than yer feet, lad ..." Within seconds, another man fell to Lady Lara, and the last chose death by shark. Shrugging, he cleaned off his pike and shoulder the weapon as he gazed around the deck. Looking back at the fancy man handing him a potion, he nodded his thanks. "Nice song. Tasty drink. Thanks."

Now that the battle was complete, Grimgor looked around, ignoring the complements - killing this lot was like beating children at a wrestling contest. "Now wha?"

If spells are a' comin' then Grim will take one of those and save the potion. Otherwise, he'll drink. Searching the bodies of the nearest pirates ... Vark first :smallsmile:

Status
HPs: 11; AC: 17
F +5, R +2, W +1
Effects: none

Ghostfoot
2016-07-26, 04:53 PM
Tyndall

Tyndall winces at his throbbing leg as the elf tends to the wound. "My thanks, Amara. Well, they were a violent lot, but no match for us." He gingerly walks over to the hatch, scimitar in hand in case the lone guard tries anything. His eyes widen at the cages and beasts within "I take it that's not our Lady Vanderboren's collection of pets...?!".

I'll happily take a Cure Minor. I agree: use Amara's CLW on Grimgor and save the potion if we don't need it right now.

Stegyre
2016-07-26, 05:18 PM
'Tienne

. . . And what are you?? 'Tienne thinks, as he eyes the caged arthropod.
'Tienne has read a fair amount of random stuff (Jack of all Trades), so does he recognize the beasty? [roll0]
(Unless it's a psionic creature, in which case, add another +1 to that.)

"Your man Vark is dead! There is no need to answer for his sins! Drop your weapons and leave in peace!"

"You can even keep the wine!"
Woe! Not so fast." 'Tienne raises his hand to block the exit of the last "sailor." "I think this man has some explaining to do to the harbor master – In. Our. Presence. So we know he'll speak the truth.

"We came here to recover monies stolen from our patron by this Mr. Vark. Mr. Vark attempted to have his crew set upon us and kill us – the actions of someone up to no good.

"Having defended ourselves –
(Well, the rest of you defended "ourselves" and did so very nicely – I suppose it looked like I was hiding beneath decks.)
"We find that Mr. Vark has apparently been trying to use our patron's ship for some nefarious purpose.

"I think you'd best start talking, now." 'Tienne does his best to look intimidating – something that has never been his forté.
[roll1]

Edit: Wow! I may have actually looked intimidating, without even shaping a meld for it!

Edit2: No, let's face it: Grimgor must have just looked down into the hold, still gripping his bloody pike.

DrK
2016-07-27, 06:38 AM
In the water there is a rush of a fin, a scream of the swimming sailor and a hand grasping at the surface before being dragged down by a long powerful looking shark. A trail of red slowly blossoming on the water as a few fishermen and boat folk on the docks give a quiet clap or wry cheer. Sasserine isn't the most sypmapthetic of places!

In the hold the last man steps back, banging against the cage filled with the angry spider. He looks up, puzzled really, as Lara speaks but nodding more happily at Locksley's words. "Don't be killing me now. I ain't done nothing wrong, I didn't try and stab you." He jumps as Tienne walks in from behind him, whirling around. "How did you get there? EH, you been sneaking ***, ARGGHHHH....... the last cut off as the spidery beast that Tienne recognises as a rhagodessa riled by the proximity of its captor and the flaming torch throws itself at the bars and tears the shoddy lock off. Free it pounces upon poor Garl, the front two legs legs studded with large sticky pseudopodes grabbing the pirate before the pincers tear into the face ripping through muscle and skull with ease!

Now free it looks about with compound eyes at the small man some 10ft from it and the "prey" at the top of the narrow stairs!

The beast is free! Players to go

RCgothic
2016-07-27, 07:26 AM
In the water there is a rush of a fin, a scream of the swimming sailor and a hand grasping at the surface before being dragged down by a long powerful looking shark. A trail of red slowly blossoming on the water as a few fishermen and boat folk on the docks give a quiet clap or wry cheer. Sasserine isn't the most sypmapthetic of places!

In the hold the last man steps back, banging against the cage filled with the angry spider. He looks up, puzzled really, as Lara speaks but nodding more happily at Locksley's words. "Don't be killing me now. I ain't done nothing wrong, I didn't try and stab you." He jumps as Tienne walks in from behind him, whirling around. "How did you get there? EH, you been sneaking ***, ARGGHHHH....... the last cut off as the spidery beast that Tienne recognises as a rhagodessa riled by the proximity of its captor and the flaming torch throws itself at the bars and tears the shoddy lock off. Free it pounces upon poor Garl, the front two legs legs studded with large sticky pseudopodes grabbing the pirate before the pincers tear into the face ripping through muscle and skull with ease!

Now free it looks about with compound eyes at the small man some 10ft from it and the "prey" at the top of the narrow stairs!

The beast is free! Players to go

Lara
Lara rolls her eyes at the foolish guard getting himself eaten.

"'Tienne, get back up here," she instructs. "We'll fight it on deck."

She circles round to place herself on the opposite side of the hatch to Grimgor.

Stegyre
2016-07-27, 10:52 AM
'Tienne

'Tienne stares at the monster as it devours the unfortunate sailor. In his mind's eye, he sees the words on manuscript page below a similar-looking drawing:

The rhagodessa is a giant spider-like carnivore, about the size of a small horse with long, spindly legs. It has an oversized head and mandibles coloured yellow, and a dark brown thorax. From a distance, it is often mistaken for a monstrous spider. Unlike spiders, a rhagodessa does not spin webs and is not venomous. It has five pairs of legs; the front pair ending in suckers that help the creature grasp its prey.

Rhagodessae are nocturnal carnivores, hunting only in the dark.

When attacking the rhagodessa fights with its suckered pedipalps and bite, usually attempting to grab smaller creatures and then retreat to its lair for feeding.
"It's a rhagodessa, sort of like a giant jumping spider," he calls up to the others. Salticidae (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jumping_spider). I respect hunting spiders "Don't let it grab you." (Like that wouldn't be obvious?)

To give the others more time to prepare, he keeps his eyes on the creature while getting ready to move as soon as it attacks.
Free action talk, talk, talk, think, think, think.
Move action to step back 5' – give me a little more time to react.
Standard action: ready an action to blink up to the deck if the thing tries to attack me.
Now, I want a pet jumping spider.

Felhammer
2016-07-27, 11:30 AM
Amara

After attending to her companion's wounds, the elf drops back to the far end of the deck, grabs her trusty bow and knocks two arrows. Under her breath she whispers, "I hate spiders!"

Ready an action to Rapid Shot!

Attack 1: [roll0] // [roll1]
Attack 2: [roll2] // [roll3]

Starbin
2016-07-27, 04:15 PM
Grimgor

The dwarf cocked his head as he heard the scream ring out from the water below. Shaking his head, he continued to search the dead crewmen. However, when a scream echoed out from below deck, he rose up, pulling his pike free. "Wot in the nine 'ells ...?" Stepping forward, he noticed Lara setting up on one side of the door. Shrugging, he moved to the opposite side and waited for whatever might be coming up ...

Swift action to slide into Punishing Stance, readying an action to attack ... might get two with an AOO in there.

[roll0], [roll1] 17 to hit, 20 damage
If necessary [roll2], [roll3] 15 to hit, 13 damage

EDIT: Whoops - forgot the bonus for flanking ... add +2 att/+3 dam to each, I guess

Status
HPs: 12 (-3); AC: 15
F +5, R +2, W +1
Stance: +1d6, -2AC
Effects: Punishing Stance

redzimmer
2016-07-27, 05:50 PM
Locksley

Clearing his throat, the channeling of Dragonsong leave Locksley drained.

He draws his bow and reached for the door.

DrK
2016-07-28, 01:28 AM
Below deck the beast runs and leaps towards Tienne, massive tentacles and bone rending claws still dripping with blood. Just as it descends there is a pop as Tienne blinks upwards on deck, landing in a crouched huddle but pleased there is no massive beast to eat him.

The Rhagodesa hisses and turns to face the stairs!

a well timed readied Blink there!

RCgothic
2016-07-28, 01:44 AM
Lara

"Get ready, here it comes..."

As my readied attack didn't trigger, I don't think my inspiration points were used up. You don't decide to use them until just before the roll, and the roll isn't made until the attack is triggered.

Ready attack:
Cunning Insight Attack [roll0] 14
Cunning Insight Damage [roll1]

Ghostfoot
2016-07-28, 04:40 AM
Tyndall

Tyndall grabs his scimitar and shield firmly and takes position next to Grimgor and Lara. Don't let it grab you he thinks, looking around at the confined area of the deck and the blossom of red in the water where the scoundrel tried to escape. Could be easier said than done.

Standard (readied) action: Scimitar vs rhagodessa [roll0] +2 flank = 18, damage [roll1] + 3 flank = 4 damage
AoO (if relevant):Scimitar vs rhagodessa [roll2] + 2 flank = 20, damage [roll3] + 6 crit + 3 flank = 15 damage
Including +2 attack and +3 damage for flanking with Tienne.

AC 18, Touch 12, Flat-footed 16, Fort 5, Ref 2, Will 1, Base Attack Bonus 0
Longbow +1 (1d8, x3)
Chainmail armour, Light wooden shield (+5 Armor, +1 Shield, +2 Dex)

Stegyre
2016-07-28, 09:37 AM
'Tienne

Seeing three of the others gathered around the hold, weapons at the ready, 'Tienne moves over to help. With everyone working together, they should make quick work of the beast, as long as it doesn't decide to hide away in the hold.

He takes up a position opposite the "old man."
Tyndall, of course. It takes 'Tienne a while to learn everyone's names.
Move action to get to the hold.
Ready action for an attack once it comes up, including the +2 to hit and +3 for damage from Tyndall, and +1 to both for essentia in my IUS:
[roll0] [roll1]

Edit: Ha, ha. No.

redzimmer
2016-07-28, 10:32 AM
Locksley

Drawing an arrow and taking aim, Locksley fires.

[roll0] to hit
[roll1]
[roll2] to hit crit
[roll3] x2
[roll4] x3
Haven't done this in a while. The shooting and Croats I mean, not the missing.

Felhammer
2016-07-28, 01:22 PM
Amara

The elf gathers her strength and knocks two more arrows!

Ready an action to Rapid Shot!

Attack 1: [roll0]] // [roll1]
Attack 2: [roll2]] // [roll3]

Starbin
2016-07-28, 04:54 PM
Grimgor

The dwarf blinked as the skinny one appeared and ran to stand across from the other fellow. He glanced around, snorting, "Like we're settin' up a damn welcome line ..."

Waiting ...

[roll0], [roll1] = 17 to hit, 20 damage
If necessary [roll2], [roll3] = 15 to hit, 13 damage

With all those bonuses for flanking ...

Status
F +5, R +2, W +1

DrK
2016-07-29, 08:41 AM
The spider like creature hisses angrily before a flight of arrows fly down the stairs into the cellar. You note with alarm smoke and flames are beginning to curl up from where the hapless Garl was killed and his torch fell onto the tar splattered wooden floor near the dusty debris that are are scattered around the hold of the ship, the chatter of animals and squawking of birds still in the cages getting louder as the smoke begins to rise!

The spider beast retreats from the arrows, one finding a chink inits leg joint as it scuttles towards the starboard side near a pile of boxes hiding in the shadows out of sight of the trapdoor!

Hide [roll0] (bonus due to shadows and smoke)

Stegyre
2016-07-29, 10:25 AM
'Tienne

A look of horror spreads across 'Tienne's face. I've done it again, he thinks. First, I frightened that sailor into the arms of the rhagodesa, then I falied to grab the torch before escaping.

He looks around at the others and again exercises his talent for stating the obvious. "If the ship burns, no one gets paid, and our patron will be ruined."

He proposes the only plan of action he can think of on such short notice. "I'll try to lure the rhagodesa into the galley. One of you can shut the door on it, while I blink out. Then we can put out the fire."

Perhaps he is too rash, but he thinks there's no time for discussion. He runs in the direction of the galley and blinks out.
Blinking back to the galley, taking whatever movement I need to on deck to get within range of it. He is aiming for the far end of the galley – as far from the door as he can manage.

Blinking ends any further actions for the turn. I'm not sure whether that would apply to talking, as well. As soon as he is able, however, he will try to set up a racket in the galley: yelling, banging pots and pans together. If at all possible, he will then try to switch to Total Defense (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/actionsInCombat.htm#totalDefense) when the rhagodesa shows up.

I can blink out just as soon as someone shuts the door on the beast. That shouldn't take too long, right?

Right?

RCgothic
2016-07-29, 10:57 AM
Lara

"Oh ****!"

Fire on a ship is about the worst thing that can happen. Worse than a tentacle-spider thing. Lara begins searching frantically.

"We have to find the ship's pumps!"

Cunning Search [roll0]

The only restriction on there is I can't use the same cunning skill twice in one day, but I don't think I have yet. Inspiration points are power encounter, and this is the first of my 5 since the spider thing appeared because my readied attack didn't trigger.

Felhammer
2016-07-29, 11:34 AM
Amara

Seeing the fire, the elf drops her bow and grabs her backpack. Pulling her waterskin out, she dumps its contents all over her bedroll. With the wet bedroll in hand, she rushes over to the fire and frantically tries to put it out.

Might be two turns worth of actions. :(

No idea what kind of check would be involved. Maybe a DEX check?

[roll0]

redzimmer
2016-07-29, 02:49 PM
Locksley

Locksley assesses the flames, perhaps to see the value in smothering it with a wet blanket.

"As good a plan as any! Please do not let any spidery creature kill me!"

Following the elf cleric's lead, Locksley wets his bedroll, then descends in an attempt to smother the flames.

Ghostfoot
2016-07-29, 03:59 PM
Tyndall

Tyndall sees Locksley and Amara descend into the hold. Without thinking Tyndall he leaps down after them, ready to do whatever he can. As they deal with the fire he worries about the other lethal problem, the rhagodessa hiding somewhere. "It's you or me buddy" flashes briefly through his mind as he grabs the nearest harmless-looking furry creature from it's cage and tosses it arcing toward the spider's corner.

Move action: Jump/ climb into the hold (safely...I don't want to draw any skill checks 'cos Tyndall will fail abysmally). Stand between the spider and the firefighters <gulp!>
Move action?: Kick/ slide/ push a tasty innocent creature over to the spider to buy us some time. Hoping to occupy it not draw it out!

rolls if needed? [roll0][roll1][roll2] Edit: hmm I hope he didn't grab the king cobra

Starbin
2016-08-01, 11:58 AM
Grimgor

With the chaos that erupted right after Locksley fired into the hold, the dwarf started cursing under his breath. With a grunt, he dropped his pike growled at whoever was still on deck. "Watch me weapon, or it be yer arse!" Then he moved towards the hold, pulling free his axe for close-quarters fighting.

Move action / draw weapon to advance. If there's something to swat, then he will do so. Two-handed until he can pull out a shield!

If he can - [roll0], [roll1]+[roll2] = 14 or 33 if a 16 confirms.

Status
F +5, R +2, W +1

DrK
2016-08-01, 12:51 PM
Arrows fly down into the hold, a bard wets his bedroll and other ready for spider hunting... In the midst of it the dwarf jumps down into the hold, the Rhagodesa obvious behind the crate that had shielded it from the deck and with a singke two handed strike buries his massive war axe in its skull. The beast twitching a few times before going still!

With nothing to fear the others soak their bedrolls and cloaks as Lara on deck finds a pump and is soon able to spray some water ontonthe fire quenching it quickly, the remaining beasts making a hideous cacophony of noise in the smoke and steam!

victory! Fight over.

Stegyre
2016-08-02, 12:15 AM
'Tienne

Clattering as loudly as he can in the galley, it takes 'Tienne several seconds to recognize that no beast is charging him, and the noise from the hold is not the sound of combat. Carefully poking his head out, he sees the very dead beast and the extinguished fire.

Then he just feels foolish. Maybe I should keep my mouth shut and hear what someone else's plans are, for a change, he admonishes himself. :smallredface:

"I'll go make sure my boat doesn't drift off," he excuses himself to make his way back to the quarterdeck.

redzimmer
2016-08-02, 12:26 AM
Locksley

"Well then, to the task at hand?"

Locksley begins to search about for ledgers, signet rings, house seals and the like.

[roll0]

Ghostfoot
2016-08-02, 04:51 PM
Tyndall

Sheepishly Tyndall puts the mewing kitten back down. With the fire under control he helps Locksley with his ransacking of the ship.

Aid another [roll0]

DrK
2016-08-03, 12:50 AM
Searching around the bard with Tyndall's help manages to find a catch under the captain's bed and with a clunk a slot in the headboard opens. Inside is a ring with a note wedged through it and a large heavy looking dagger with an iron blade.

http://myth-wiki-public.s3.amazonaws.com/3/3f/Handout_2.gif

In a foot chest lined with metal and heavily reinforced they find Vark's belongings and a pouch with 100pp and a note from Lavinia demanding the return of her vessel. In amongst Vark's dirty clothes they also find a pair of oily potions that smell of the sea.

2 elixirs of swimming

Knife of Meteoric Iron

RCgothic
2016-08-03, 05:12 AM
With the pirates dealt with and the fire extinguished, Lara wanders onto the quarterdeck and takes the helm. She spins the wheel wistfully, and with no way on her the rudder moves freely from side to side. There's no way one inexperienced sailor and five landlubbers could get her under way unfortunately. She sighs. One day she'll captain a vessel like this of her very own.

"Locksley, perhaps you'd like to go and tell Lavinia the Nixie is secure. The rest of us had better stay here lest the harbour master sends anyone else to take possession whilst we're gone."

redzimmer
2016-08-03, 08:14 AM
Locksley

Locksley nods and returns to the deck. After a bit of 'haloo-ing,' he summons forth his hired sloop.

"Maestro, take me ashore! I cannot wait to tell the tale of how I wet my bed to save a ship!"

I won't presume the boat is still there and can alter the text if he's gone.

Starbin
2016-08-03, 04:21 PM
Grimgor

After pulling his axe out of the spider's body, Grimgor called back up to the top of the hold. "Bring me pike wit ye, aye?" Cleaning off his weapon, he slowly looked around, uncertain what they were looking for, but wanting to help where he could.

Search and such ... then head back up!

Status
F +5, R +2, W +1
Effects: None

Stegyre
2016-08-03, 11:00 PM
'Tienne

That dwarf is brutally efficient, 'Tienne thinks, as he makes sure his little rowboat is secured to their larger vessel. I wouldn't ever want to be on the wrong side of a fight with him.

Turning, he sees Lara at the helm. "She's a merchant vessel, isn't she? Is that what you see yourself sailing someday?"

DrK
2016-08-05, 04:12 PM
Locksley

The bard, happy with the victory leaps down into the small boat, still with several bottles of liquor in it and is quickly rowed back to shore. A few shouts of concern from others sailors and dock folk about the smoke but they are quickly quashed as Lokcley assures them that the situation is under control and the "lantern fire" is under control now and there is no risk of flames catching on any other boats. Its quick to race back up the paved streets towards the Vanderboren manor were Kora (the halfling) is surprised to see you so quickly. She looks at you "Can I help you master Locksley? Did you have more questions for Lady Lavinia?"

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1194/1443280378_56e5583a48.jpg

At the explanation she is quick to find Lavinia and the elegant looking woman glides downstairs. She smiles at Locksley as he explains the situation "My word Master Locksley, I did not expect such a quick resolution to things. I hope none of you were badly injured? Please escort me to the boat." Heading downstairs she calls for a couple of house footmen in neat blue uniforms who are quick to fetch her a loose overcoat and summon a sedan chair from some of the street men who populate the merchants district. She invites the bard to squeeze up into the chair with her where the hot tropical sun is blocked out by the curtains and the stench of the city is replaced by the subtle fragrance of Lavinia's perfume. "So tell me Master Bard. What do you do normally in this fine city?... She continues making small talk as they wind their way down to the docks and see the Nixie with the rest of the party aboard her. She smiles a broad beaming smile a she summons a boatman to talk her across to the Nixie.

Nixie

Over the course of the hour or so that Locksley is away everything is made ship shape, most of the animals in the hold seem relatively "normal", or at least not of the man eating variety and the brigands are easily desposed of over the side to where the sharks circle happily munching on more bodies. Lara is able to appraise the boat and despite her obvious merchantile nature she is clearly a sturdy boat and judging from some of the trinkets in the main cabin, some of which are maps of distant seas under Lavina's parents she has clearly traveled far and wide.

The shout form the side is suprising as Lavinia climbs aboard. The woman suprisingly agile in her dress as she climbs up the side of the boat and leaps over the gunwal. She looks about, a broad smile on her face, wind blowing long strands of brunette hair off her face. "So," she begins, eyeing up the blood stains on the deck where Grimgor wrought his slaughter, "I am impressed. You were faster. Please, tell me more about how you were able to deal iwth Vark so handily.

RCgothic
2016-08-05, 04:20 PM
Lara

"We'll my lady, it were a might cunning of us. Locksley and Grimgor here posed as liquor merchants and distracted them for'ard whilst the rest of us boarded her aft. Once we were all aboard there weren't much resistance," Lara explains.

redzimmer
2016-08-05, 04:42 PM
Locksley

"A mere trifle of disagreement, Misstress Lavinia. Though I regret Vark was not receptive to reason."

The dragonblooded bard enjoys the cozy ride back to the docks. The perks of a job well done.

Once at the boat, Locksley lets Lara do the talking. He was happy to take the lead when needs made, but the rugged sailor seemed a shrewd businesswoman.

Ghostfoot
2016-08-05, 10:38 PM
Tyndall

He spreads his cloak over the worst of the blood, a token effort to sanitize the scene for Lady Lavinia.

"Yes, a swift victory m'Lady. A shame that the scoundrels were so lax with securing the poor beasts that they had captured in the hold. The ship is now yours again as is the coin for the harbourmaster."

I'm happy to record party loot unless you guys have an existing process. Anyone want the knife or swimming potions - maybe one potion to Grimgor and one for Tyndall since we're most likely to sink? Tyndall will be ditching his armour in a level or two which will help with his buoyancy.

I presume that the knife is a Meteoric Knife (MiC pg 53). A neat little toy but not one for Tyndall.

Edit: Assuming that those items don't actually belong to Lavinia, of course.

Starbin
2016-08-06, 12:01 AM
Grimgor

Leaning near the forecastle, Grimgor listened to the others dance around the lady with vague answers. With a short, humorless laugh, he pointed towards the bloodstains. "Vark and 'is lads twere easy enow - pike, sword, shark and spider made short work o' tha' lot. Unless ye wanted details o' th' slaughter?

Anyway, are ye mistress o' yer ship agin?"

No sugar coating!

Status
F +5, R +2, W +1

Stegyre
2016-08-06, 12:20 PM
'Tienne

Seeing Lady Lavinia boarding the boat and watching the others attend her, 'Tienne disappears (literally) below decks for another look around.
[roll0] Not really expecting to find anything new. (Edit: and with that roll, he's certainly not finding anything new!)
Depending on the perspective, he is either trying to be mysterious (his perspective) or moping.

He'd be happy (though unworthy) to take the meteoric knife, unless someone else would rather.

DrK
2016-08-07, 11:18 AM
Lavinia looks stunned by the casual success and grins at you all. "Thank you so much. You have probably saved my family name and business. Keep the platinum please, it covers most of what you are due. For the rest I owe to you will you please escort mevtonthe my family vault in the castle? It's just that I'll be withdrawing a fair amount of coin and I would appreciate the escort!

She looks at the boat with a smile, her hand caressing the signet ring. "Thank you so much, you don't know what this means to me. With my parents gone and my brother, well, who knows what he is doing, it's just, thank you!

She's clearly touched and she looks both beautiful and vulnerable in the evening light as she summons her footmen to watch the boat.

redzimmer
2016-08-07, 12:14 PM
Locksley

"Of course I would never presume to speak for these fine Lords and Ladies, but it would be my honour, Lady Lavinia," Locksley says, eventually.

My Grade 9 English teacher would be spitting blood at all the rambling passive voice inflicted by Locksley. But. Characterization marches on.

Starbin
2016-08-07, 04:16 PM
Grimgor

When the woman began to get emotional, Grimgor coughed uncomfortably. "Aye ... uh tis'yer gold. Ah'll go where ye need."

Mood-breaking 101

Status
F +5, R +2, W +1

Ghostfoot
2016-08-08, 03:52 AM
Tyndall

Tyndall holds himself with as much proper poise as he can muster "Indeed my Lady, it would be an honour to accompany you to the castle."

Anything worth knowing about this "castle"?

Knowledge (Local) [roll0]
Knowledge (Nobility) [roll1]

RCgothic
2016-08-09, 04:52 AM
Lara smiles in response to Lavinia's display of vulnerable gratitude.

"My lady, it seems like you've picked a good team. I'll stick around, see what happens."

Stegyre
2016-08-09, 10:40 AM
'Tienne

'Tienne quietly forms up with the others to escort Lavinia to the castle.

DrK
2016-08-14, 03:35 PM
Lavinia smiles at then all, "Thank you for your offers of assistance. We should be able to squeeze in a carriage if Master Grimgor and Tyndall ride with the driver?" . A few minutes later her guards are aboard the Nixie beginning to sort through dead pirates and animal cages and the party stand on the pier beside the carriage with the Vanderboren crest.

Piling in the carriage is soon trotting and rattling down the busy night time streets of the merchant district - that even after dark do not really stop. Night stalls now open and slightly shady looking merchants doing business done dark alleys. More than once from your safe perches you see the glint of steel as knife fights break out.

The streets show noticeable improvement and the street performers are cleaner as you roll through the gates into the Noble district. Large manses and noble town houses dominate here along with a strange apparent lack of city watch (although all the locals are well aware that the watch in Noble's district are all in plain clothes as the Nobles' don't like seeing obvious guards).

http://brennor.dyndns.org/~trogdor/savage_tide/sasserine/noble_district.jpg

The carriage pulls up in the courtyard of a large well appointed inn with a well painted sign of a parrot sitting on a large opalascent pearl. Even as the stable staff run out to greet you Lavinia points to the South where the large and imposing fortress like bulk of Castle Taraknian lies on its own private island just a few hundred feet from the strange architecture with fluted towers and a free floating orb at the tip of the Witchwarden Guild - the guild of arcanists and

Lavinia leads you through the noble district shaking her head at the perfumed fops that paraded the streets here in ever more elaborate and decadent costumes. "It is like they do not even realise the condition of much of the rest of city." her muttered comment to Lara who she chooses to walk alongside. The appearance of Lavinia's companions (the party) does draw some strange looks from the well dressed fops and ladies. Their servants for the most part dressed in plain almost featureless clothes.

A ferry guarded by a dozen of the Castle's own troops is the only way to get across the short span of water and soon enough you land by a small jetty that leads you into the bank of Sasserine. A large arched reception room filled with ledgers, quiet scribes - even at this time of night - and more heavily armoured guards in chain and clutching halberds with decorative feathered blades. Lavinia confers with one of the clerks and he motions you to follow.

You spend only a few minutes in the castle itself. Lavinia talks to a clerk, who verifies Lavinia's identity and her signet ring before escorting you all down a spiral staircase into a large circular chamber. Over a dozen five-foot wide hallways radiate out from the central vault chamber. Each hall is ten feet long and ends an an iron door. The clerk motions you toward a particular door and then bids you good day, returning up the staircase to his office.

The solid-looking door is emblazoned with an eight-pointed star. Above the door, inscribed in flowing script on a polished silver plaque, is the name "Vanderboren". A single handle protrudes from the door, above an indentation that corresponds to the shape of the Vanderboren signet ring.

"It seems that the signet ring is the key to the vault," states Lavinia. "Are you all ready for whatever is down here...". . The symbol on the door with its 8 points does seem familiar.

Know(local) or (history) will help with that

redzimmer
2016-08-15, 06:10 PM
Locksley

The bard is confused as to why he should be ready, but he admits to himself that he was busy admiring the curve of Lady Lavinia to actually have paid attention.

"Er... yes. I am always ready!"

He looks at the star, nothing really anything he recalled. Maybe something he vaguely recollected from his dull history lessons with his equally dull tutor. Locksley remembered seducing him to make the lessons more interesting...

Ah, the splendor of puberty, he mused wistfully.

RCgothic
2016-08-17, 04:59 AM
Lara

Laura gives Lavinia a sideways glance as she asks if they're ready.

"What? It's just a vault, isn't it?"

Still, if the lady suspects there could be monsters or traps, that's worth taking seriously. Lara draws her sword slowly.

Starbin
2016-08-17, 02:36 PM
Grimgor

Raising an eye at the comment, the dwarf shrugged and pulled forth his axe and shield. Whatever might jump out, if it were hostile, he'd be ready.

Cue ominous music ... PS - are we healed up or anything?

Status
F +5, R +2, W +1

redzimmer
2016-08-17, 03:48 PM
Locksley

Perhaps too late, Locksley looks past Lavinia's figure and considers the remarks.

Why would I need to be "ready" to look in a vault?

[roll0]

Bah, just paranoia.

DrK
2016-08-17, 04:18 PM
Locksley and Tienne look at the symbol as both recognise it. A building in the merchant's district bearing the same symbol upon; that of the Seeker's lodge. Lavinia clearly recognises the symbol as well. A muttered "I never knew. They were part of the Seeker's Lodge. They must have been good members" she says with pride, "THey were so well travelled and brought many curios back from their travels."

he Seekers of the Arcane, commonly called simply the Seekers, are a loose organization of treasure hunters, scholars, and explorers, with lodges throughout the Flanaess and beyond. They scour the world for artifacts, magic, and treasure, prominent among these is the Throne of the Gods. Though often described as unscrupulous and self-centered, some Seekers claim high-minded goals.

The Seekers were founded in the early fourth century CY by Jonus Marius, who gathered together the royal explorers and surveyors who had served the Great Kingdom during its expansionist phase. As the kingdom’s expansion declined, so did the Throne of the Sun’s need for such specialists. Marius gave these individuals a purpose, suggesting they could explore (and plunder) the treasures of the Flanaess together. Though Marius and his comrades lacked the creativity of the Company of Seven, they made up for it by pooling their resources and research, occasionally reproducing the efforts of others.

The Seekers have acted as a foil to the Silent Ones of Keoland for two centuries now, often contending for the same items. The Silent Ones strive to keep certain things undisturbed and hidden from the world at large, while the Seekers share a more egalitarian view.

As they have begun exploring the southern seas and the jungles along the Amedio coast, the Seekers have attracted the emnity of the Scarlet Brotherhood, who share their interest in ancient secrets and ruined tombs.

Some Seekers share sympathies with the Skeptics of Nellix.

Lodges, or clubhouses, owned by the Seekers are mostly secret and often disguised as more mundane establishments, such as drinking houses, cartography businesses, or social clubs. They can be found in such widely separated cities as Gradsul, the Free City of Greyhawk, Irongate, Rel Astra, and Sasserine. In Nellix, the Seekers meet with the Skeptics in the home of one Quintus Marius of Seltaren (a descendant of Jonus Marius).

Known Seekers include Lashton of Grayhill, Tibarian Matreyus of Gradsul, the former Seer of Urnst, Baron Malweig of Dilwych, Khellek of Greyhawk, Ulavant (presumably of Greyhawk, deceased), Mordenkainen, the renegade Eli Tomorast, and a deceased magician named Zatar, who once found the Throne of the Gods.

While their primary base of operations in the Amedio is at the Seeker’s Lodge in Sasserine, they also have tantamount to a “Junior Varsity” club operating out of the Bluecrater Academy in Cauldron.

She looks around as the party pull out an armoury of steel and violence. "You must think me foolish but my father never brought me here. Only he and my mother visited the vault. I know not what lies behind the door." She pulls out the signet ring and hold it to the centre of the star. THere is a distant and loud clunking of thick metal bars and other contraptions before the door crunches, creaks and opens a crack. She looks at the armoured and armed new friends, "Who wishes to be first?"

Stegyre
2016-08-17, 04:38 PM
'Tienne

The Vanderborens were Seekers, too, just like in Cauldron?? 'Tienne quietly ponders the significance of this development. As the vault door opens, thought it's tempting to see what lies ahead, he has already learned the price of being too eager.

This looks like a job for the grim, heavily-armed-and-armored dwarf. 'Tienne takes a small step back.

Ghostfoot
2016-08-17, 04:46 PM
Tyndall

"Huh, what? Oh. Yes I'm ready for anything, m'Lady" Jolted from his daydreams by the clunk of the machinery Tyndall, better late than never, also draws his scimitar and steps up behind the dwarf.

Is it dark through the doorway? If needs be he'll cast light on his scimitar. Shirak

DrK
2016-08-21, 02:00 AM
With Grimgor and Tyndall in the lead she pushes open the door, soft lantern light flowing into the room beyond. The room beyond is smaller than you expected and devoid of any real features. The floor of this domed chamber is of polished green marble. Two fifteen-footwide alcoves have lower ceilings and feature marble pillars carved to resemble coiling snakes. In the center of the room, five similar pillars are embedded into the walls, rising up thirty feet to a dome overhead. Looking up, the dome bears a huge representation of the same eight-pointed star that was engraved on the door to the south. She looks over the dwarf's head, surprise and frustration on her face, "By the gods father.. " she mutters,
"Please, there must be a secret catchbir secret room in here. Will you help me search?".

Stegyre
2016-08-21, 11:37 AM
'Tienne

As far as "unexpected" goes, this is still better than a rhagodesa breaking out of its cage, 'Tienne thinks to himself, as he sets to work (likely with the others) to search the vault.
This is a classic "take 20" situation, but 'Tienne knows enough of probability to conclude he is more likely to draw a 20 by rolling individually, so . . .
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]
[roll11]
[roll12]
[roll13]
[roll14]
[roll15]
[roll16]
[roll17]
[roll18]
[roll19]
Edit: and he sighs as probability defies him.
As he searches, he looks, particularly for any motifs of a cyclops, basilisk, chimera, umber hulk, or medusa, figuring that the note found on the ship must mean something.

redzimmer
2016-08-21, 05:23 PM
Locksley

Happy to oblige, Locksley peers around, no nook or cranny in-searched.

[roll0]

RCgothic
2016-08-22, 02:49 AM
Lara

Lara begins a thorough, methodical search.

Take 20 = 24

Ghostfoot
2016-08-22, 02:55 AM
Tyndall

Tyndall wanders about the room prodding and twisting things, trying to look as if he knows what he's doing

[roll0]

Starbin
2016-08-24, 02:19 PM
Grimgor

Leaning against the wall, Grimgor said nothing. He wasn't much for searching a room - one did not bring a fighting dog to sniff out treats. He kept his axe and shield at the ready, eyes open for signs of a threat. Otherwise, it was just a matter of time ...

Not sure he has anything to add!

Status
F +5, R +2, W +1

DrK
2016-08-24, 04:46 PM
Whilst Tyndall, Tienne and Locklesy join Lavinia in a relatively fruitless search of the intricate walls of the tombs. But Lara has a more methodical approach. As she searches around she find a notch behind which is a second slot that look suitable for the signet ring to go into. Lavinia exclaims in excitment but even as she approaches there is a dull hiss from the ceiling as part of the decorative pillar rears up above the party, a long serpentine body of steel plates and steel bands topped by a cobra's hood or golden plate! The iron cobra uncoils from the ceiling dropping to the centre of the small room and rearing up to head heaight, fangs dripping virulent looking toxins!

http://dfry.warpmail.net/ST/Iron%20Cobra.jpg

It lashes its tail about in the middle of you all!

Init

Grimgor, Tienne,
IRON COBRA
Everyone else

Stegyre
2016-08-24, 05:13 PM
'Tienne

'Tienne moves to be opposite Grimgor, figuring that the dwarf will make short work of the cobra just as he did of the rhagodessa. Just to help out, maybe just a little, however, he swings at the beast with his walking stick.
First, any additional useful information about the cobra? [roll0]

Second, five-foot step. I figure between me and Grimgor taking a step each, there's no way we can't get a flanking position.

Third, standard-attack-because-no-way-would-I-hit-trying-to-hit-with-both-ends: [roll1], [roll2] (included the +2 for flanking, unless for some reason we don't get that against this beast)

Edit: Oops! 'Hope I didn't wack someone else instead of the snake. :smalleek:
(On the plus side, maybe I know something useful about our foe?)

redzimmer
2016-08-26, 02:04 PM
Locksley

Drawing his bow, Locksley keeps an eye on the door. If it was an alarmed trap, more threats may present themselves.

Starbin
2016-08-28, 03:27 PM
Grimgor

The dwarf's suspicions were confirmed by the arrival of a giant metal snake. With axe and shield, he wasn't sure if he'd be able to penetrate its hide, but he was willing to give it a go.

Of course, it seemed odd that this thing should drop down now ...especially for someone who held the key. Eyes narrowing a bit, he grunted back, "Lady, if'n yer authorized t'be 'ere, ye wanna let yer pet know?"

Maybe holding up the signet would do. Or maybe they'd have to fight. Either way, Grimgor stood ready.

Seems constructs typically follow orders ... So maybe our patron can use her authority to stop the snake? Otherwise, Grimgor slipping into punishing stance and readying a bull rush (Charge of the Minotaur) vs the cobra!

Status
F +5, R +2, W +1
Stance: Punishinh stance (+1d6 melee strikes, -2 AC)
Weapons: Waraxe & shield

DrK
2016-08-29, 05:35 AM
Lavinia squeals as the iron cobra strikes, "I don't know how to stop it!". Stepping in swiftly Tienne comes close to snapping the walking stick on the adamantine snake. Grimgor is less subtle, a body rush that hurls the snake across the room to smash against the far wall, cracks appearing on many scales.

The iron cobra rears up, head flaring as patterns of swirling shadow move and flicker under its hood, long fans extending as it exhales a cloud of swirling poison.

Feel abused by bullrush!
Cone of Poison 25ft cone (so everyone in the room!)
Fort DC12 or Str [roll0]

redzimmer
2016-08-29, 09:37 AM
Locksley

Trying to hold his breath, Locksley fires blindly at the metal snake.

Fort [roll[1d20+1[/roll]
Arrow [roll0] damage [roll1]

Unles not into melee, the to hit was 20.

Ya know? Merrick could use some of these 20s.

The draw is feeble as the poison saps his strength.

Stegyre
2016-08-29, 11:37 AM
'Tienne

His ineffectual swing is high, but 'Tienne aims a haphazard kick at the cobra as Grimgor pushes it past him and into the wall.
[roll0], [roll1]

Note: I have always read the language in Charging Minotaur about not triggering AoOs to apply to the initiator's movement in getting into position and making contact. After that, "[r]esolve the bull rush attempt normally," so movement caused by the bull rush should trigger AoOs.

I don't think I need to roll to avoid Grimgor, as he is not moving along with the cobra, but just in case, a 1 means the strike goes at him: [roll2]

If you read it differently, just disregard this spoiler.
Turning to face the machine, 'Tienne tries to bring his walking stick down on it yet again.
Step/move as necessary to get into range, then wack at it again:
[roll3], [roll4]

Edit: Wow, my reign of ineffectualness continues! I'd like to think that I am anchoring the probability curve for Locksley's 20s, as Locksly shows up 'Tienne again.

Maybe I need to start considering non-combat roles.

Starbin
2016-08-29, 01:15 PM
Grimgor

Having smashed the cobra into the wall, the dwarf smirked happily to himself. When the wave of deadly toxins washed over him, he inhaled deeply and shook his head, commenting with a growl, "Aye, but yer breath smells like an arse on a dead pig!" . Dropping both axe and shield to the ground, Grimgor pulled free his huge pike and stepped forward to attack again, this time trying to hurt the beast even more.

I'll reread Charge o' th'MinnowTar later ... for now it shouldn't make a difference. I took it that the first step of the bull rush was modified (movement and AOOs) while the the second part (str roll) was not.
Let's see, free action to drop stuff, move action to pull out pike, and 5' step to attack with reach weapon (and flank if possible). If the cobra ended up flying back much further than anticipated, Grimgor would charge.

Power attack w/pike (-1 for 2 dam)! [roll0], [roll1] ... add +2 for flanking or charging.

Status
HPs: 12 (-3); AC: 13
F +5, R +2, W +1
Steely strike, Moment of Perfect Mind, Charging Minotaur (2/3)
Stance: Punishinh stance (+1d6 melee strikes, -2 AC)
Weapons: Pike

Ghostfoot
2016-08-29, 04:43 PM
Tyndall

"Stand back, Lady. Get clear" Coughing at the noxious fumes Tyndall jumps forward, putting himself between the metal cobra and his patron. He lunges forward with his scimitar, shield raised but the blade clangs harmlessly off it.

Move action: Close to attack. Flank if possible.
Standard Action: scimitar vs iron cobra damage [roll1d6 (if flanking +2 attack +3 damage)

Longbow +1 (1d8, x3)

RCgothic
2016-08-30, 01:41 AM
Lara

Coughing and weakened by the snake's breath attack, Lara leaves tackling the snake to the others, instead playing defense by placing herself in front of Lavinia, ready to intercept the snake and protect their employer should it become necessary.

DrK
2016-09-03, 07:04 AM
The threat if the iron cobra is short lived as the doughty dwarf smashes it against the wall before drawing forth his man length warpike and ramming it through the creature's iron skull destroying whatever magical force powered it.
Lavinia is the first to breathe a sigh of relief, "Mg thanks Master Grimgor, once more your skill at arms has seen us safely through. Now we can open up my families vault and I can reward you all as I have promised and see about making sure House VandeBoren remains amongst the rolls of the City!
She looks again at the key hole found by Lara and inserts her ring. With a grinding sound one of the pillars rotates down like a screw into the floor revealing a short spiral staircase down into the true vault beneath.

Peering down the small stairs in the light if the torch you see an octagonal room about 20ft in diameter supported by the single large grooved pillar that now doubles as your stairway down. One wall bears a picture of the family, a young Lavibia and what you assume must be her brother standing by a hanfsone adventurous lookimg man and a beatiful sultry looking woman. Each of the other seven walls bears fantastically detailed bas-relief of exotic monsters in threatening poses. Starting at the wall immediately to your left, and moving clockwise, the carvings depict:

a tentacled monster with a glaring red eye and a mouth full of teeth,
a looming dragon,
a fish-like creature with three eyes and four tentacles,
a two-headed giant wielding a pair of immense clubs,
a spherical creature with four eyestalks and a bulging central eye over a drooling maw,
a gorilla-like beast with a fanged maw and six eyes,
a towering black spider with seven eyes.

Each creatures eyes consist of a glittering red stone. The ceiling above is only ten feet high, with a familiar eight-pointed star radiating out from the central pillar. The arms of the star are black, save the one that points south toward the entrance, which is red.

The room is otherwise empty and has no other exits. Lavinia stares at the scene with the massive murals of the monsters lit by the changing coloured lights reflecting off the reliefs. "They did not have to overcomplicate things so..."

Starbin
2016-09-04, 01:01 AM
Grimgor

When the metal snake stopped moving, Grimgor nodded to himself, waving off the praise from Lavinia with a snort. "Ah'd be a piss-poor guard if'n Ah couldnae handle a snake ..." He moved back to gather his weapons, stowing his pike across his back once more, and keeping the shield and axe at the ready. He watched the others peer pensively at the pictures on the wall, but it was all magik to him ...

Not even going to bother ...

Status
HPs: 12 (-3); AC: 17
F +5, R +2, W +1
Stance: none
Weapons: Waraxe and Shield

RCgothic
2016-09-06, 02:05 AM
Lara

"Is there any way to adjust which picture the arrow points to?" the factotum asks, following the most logical line of inquiry.

Ghostfoot
2016-09-06, 05:12 AM
Tyndall

Tyndall steps forward, arm held out gesturing Lady Lavinia to stay back "Careful, there may be a trap of some kind here. Best for you to stay out of harm's way, Lady". He sounds confident, but he really doesn't have a clue what this is all about.

Knowledge Arcana [roll0]
Knowledge Local [roll1]
Int check [roll2]

Stegyre
2016-09-07, 06:24 PM
'Tienne

'Tienne examines the wreckage of the metal snake. I wonder what makes it – made it – work? Maybe we can take the pieces with us when we go, for study, he thinks.

Following the others down the spiral stairway, he looks at the wall carvings. Some he recognizes; others he does not. None of them, however, seem to resemble the creatures named in the note on the ship. Was the note about something else, or should we be looking at these pictures in a different way?

"Can we turn the eyes?" he asks. He tries, as an experiment. Just my luck this will trigger another trap. He tries turning the dragon's (chimera) eyes East; the beholder-kin cyclops, West; the roper(?) medusa??, East; the ettin (umber hulk?, West; and the spider (basilisk), East.

If that does nothing, he tries reversing the directions, as if the red arrow pointing south in the room actually indicated north (like on a compass).

And if that doesn't work, "I'm out of ideas."

Starbin
2016-09-09, 07:32 PM
Grimgor

The dwarf watched with suspicion, fingers tightening on his axe ...

Here we go again ...

Status
F +5, R +2, W +1

DrK
2016-09-10, 05:03 PM
Lavinia paces around the room, hilt still on her sword lest anything jump. The sparkling red eyes attracting much of her interest. "Strange. The note on board the vessel spoke of umber hulks and chimera's yet none of these beasts match those descriptions." She walks around the room clockwise pointing at them in turn... "A roper I think? An underground nasty. The dragon seems obvious. The fish is possibly an Aboleth, is that what they are called? An ettin and some sort of eye monster. Yet not on the list from my father. And finally a render and a spider beast."

Walking round again she moves around and reaches up and touches one of the red arrows. As she waggles the red one it clicks loudly as it moves both clockwise and anticlockwise, each click moving around the central pillar. "Any ideas about what we do now?"

RCgothic
2016-09-12, 03:29 PM
Lara

"So the arrow does move," Lara observes. "What happens when you point it at the different pictures?"

Stegyre
2016-09-12, 08:21 PM
'Tienne

Then the monster in the picture comes to life and tries to eat us, and the dwarf smashes it, thinks 'Tienne. He keeps his thoughts to himself.

Starbin
2016-09-12, 09:26 PM
Grimgor

The dwarf watched, growing more impatient as the group continued to banter and poke at the weird stone carvings. "C'mon, pretty boyo! Turn th'blasted thin' and let's git goin'.

Still nothing else to add ...:smallbiggrin:

Status
F +5, R +2, W +1

redzimmer
2016-09-13, 05:19 PM
Locksley

Presuming Grimgor is speaking to him,

Flatterer.

Locksley ponders the paintings.

Taking the arrow, he turns it once clockwise, then pointing towards the single-eyed monster first. He turns it towards the west. Then with the red arrow pointing at the two-eyed dragon, he turns the arrow to the east. Then stopping the arrow at the fish-thing then west again, he then turns onto the ettin and east, towards the eye tyrant and then west, the next turn ending on the gorilla-creature and pointing east, next turns for the spider and then west a fourth time, and finally and turns with the arrow ending at the family portrait ans points the arrow east.

"The eyes. Somehow the numbers of eyes are the clue. The monsters in the note, each had a different number of eyes, odd or even. If this doesn't work, maybe like-numbered eyes are another clue..."

He draws his sword, ready for whatever may happen.

DrK
2016-09-14, 03:38 PM
Locksley has a realisation and matches the eyes from the beasts on the scroll to the beasts on walls and spins the star "sun rise" and "Sunset" as he goes from the Grey Render to the Roper to the Dragon to the Ettin and then back to the dragon. Spinning the star clockwise or anti-clockwise as the beast staring sunrise or sunset dictates. As the star comes to rest on the dragon for the second time there is massive groaning of gears from within the central pillar and all of the murals of monsters on the walls rotate smoothly on hidden tracks revealing the hidden alcoves behind them containing the wealth of Vanderboren family...

"Oh my. Where has it all gone!" Is Lavinia's scream as she surveys the seven alcoves. Chest after iron bound chest lies open, only a few scraps of cloth or the occasional silver coin left inside. Finally in the last alcove a pair of chests with lids closed and a mark for the signet ring to be inserted.

Lavinia runs across, tears starting in her eyes and places the ring on the chest and everyone can hear the click as it opens. Inside the chest are half a dozen large bags obviously filled with golden coins. Neat paper tags attached to them in a delicate flowing hand read as "500 crowns".

The second chest is more interesting - inside a stack of ledgers and an iron coffer filled with neatly written documents in one of two different handwriting styles. Lavinia grabs one and skims through. A gasp of relief. "I had though we were ruined. We still have my father's ledgers. Lists of debts and favours owed to us by many of the Guilds and the noble Families of Sasserine." She looks at the other chests empty of what must be tens of thousands of gold coins. "It may be a difficult few months but with these ledgers and the Nixie back in my possession House Vanderboren will soon regain its former splendour". As she kneels on the dusty floor you can see many of the documents in the coffer look more like a journal - maps of a jungle island, sketches of strange beasts and all written in a strange flowing language that does not look familiar (Sylvan).

Closing the chest of books and documents Lavinia looks up at the assembled party and hands over 3 heavy bags of coins to Locksley and Grimgor. "There should be 500 crowns in each bag. We had agreed on 300 each. that may be just short but we can speak of that soon...." Before anyone can question her unexpected gift. She speaks again - "It will take some time for me to read these details but there may be jobs that I require some professional assistance with. Would you be interested in being on retainer for my House. I will pay you 100 crowns a month for the retainer plus additional expenses if I call upon you"

As you negotiate or speak with her there is a shout from the main hallway. One of the Clerks from upstairs standing nervously in the hallway with a letter held in his hand. She walks across grabbing the letter. Lavinia looks at the handwriting with a pinched expression. "That would appear to be the same seal as this" pointing at the wax seal that matches her own signet ring. Breaking the seal she opens up the letter and hisses in annoyance. "That snake. Why would he do this". Proferring the letter to Lara she grimaces. "It would appear that my offer of retainer was well placed, it seems I would need your help now."

The letter, written in an angry angular handwriting reads

"Dear Sister.

Angry words have passed between us. Now is my ultimatum. I have our dear parents money and in a few months I will require my home as well. You may retire to one of the smaller properties in the country with a small stipend and the charming Kora to keep you company. But the house and all the holdings will be mine. Do not cross me in this Lavinia - I am not to be trifled with.

-V"

Lavinia looks sad, tears or sadness and rage starting from her eyes. "Its from my Brother Vanthus. He must have found my Mother's signet ring."

"We were quite close growing up, as our parents were rarely around. We grew to depend on each other, and got in to a fair amount of trouble together."

She pauses, a momentary smile before being replaced with a sad grimace
"After one prank involving elixirs of love being emptied into the nearbywater tower we were separated by my parents. "To be tamed they said." I was sent to the Thenalar Academy and Vanthus was shipped out to one of our plantations to learn the family business. When he returned to last year he had changed. He was bitter, he did not have time for me his Sister and spent his nights with "associates of doubtful character." Eventually, he moved out of the house entirely. I had heard he taken up with a whore in the Azure district but I am not to sure. After our parents died he returned for a week but he had changed even more. He fought and raged and shouted and then eventually he struck me. I was shocked. He left soon after and I have no seen him since

I know you have worked hard for me this night. But I ask - will you help me find him and help me reclaim my family fortune?"

redzimmer
2016-09-14, 04:20 PM
Locksley

re-sheathing his blade, Locksley waves away the bag of coins.

"I shall accept you offer, my dear Lady, not for coin, but for what is right!"

He pointedly does not reject the weekly retainer fee however.

"We should return to your home at all haste; your brother may make a move sooner than he warns."

Starbin
2016-09-16, 05:50 PM
Grimgor

When Locksley's actions are a success, the dwarf let out an explosive sigh. "About time ..." He took the bags of coins, removing his share of the coin, then shrugged at the woman's offer. "Ah dinnae 'ave a better offer righ now. Ah'll take th'job. An th'monet."

The last was said in response to Locksley's altruistic offer ...

So 300gp per person?

Status
F +5, R +2, W +1

Ghostfoot
2016-09-17, 07:42 PM
Tyndall

Tyndall accepts the coin, trying hard not to show his elation at the gift and the offer of a further contract with such a fine employer.

"My humble thanks, Lady Lavinia. I am honoured to remain in your service. Your brother Vanthus, have you any clue where he might be? You mentioned a, <ahem>, companion in the Azure District? Perhaps if we can find Vanthus before he acts you could talk to him and we can resolve this before it gets out of hand."

DrK
2016-09-18, 03:42 PM
Lavina looks about, a look of worry on her face at the lost money. "THank you all. But I had best see some of the banking guild and that will take me most of the day. I shall arrange an extra 10 or so guards for my estate for the next few days. Thank you all for agreeing to continue to assist me. I will have some better idea of finances tonight and will see what I can find out about dear Vanthus. She looks about again, in some pique.

"Could you present yourselves at my estate tomorrow morning shortly after 10 bells (am). Then we can begin the hunt for the rest of my finances. Master Tyndall I believe there was an Inn that Vanthus used to frequent. I once hear my father and him arguiing about the cost of the tab he had accrued. Its in the Azure district and I believe was called the "Pink Parrot", she pauses to consider the name. "It is an odd name for a tavern don't you think?" she adds revealing her youth and naive nature.

THe pink parrot is a well know and relatively pricey brothel that is renowned for the quality of its wares across much of Sasserine.

redzimmer
2016-09-18, 07:39 PM
Locksley

A wistful smile flickers across his face.

"I wonder if I 'crossed swords' with him there," he says. He then realizes Lavinia might have no clue what he means.

"Ahem. It is a club for gentlemen seeking an evening's companionship... <Cough>."

He gives the others a dark look, imploring they do not elaborate.

Starbin
2016-09-18, 10:05 PM
Grimgor

At Locksley's dark look, the dwarf frowned. "Wot's th'stink eye fer, Mr. Fancy? Or ... uh ... Miss Fancy?" Grimgor looked perplexed for a moment, both at the dark look and his sudden inability to distinguish Locksley's gender.

:smallbiggrin:

Status
F +5, R +2, W +1

Ghostfoot
2016-09-21, 04:46 AM
Tyndall

"Certainly, Lady. If you are sure that you will be well guarded we can make a few discreet enquiries and report back to you tomorrow morning."

Off to check out the scene at the Pink Parrot?

And if we received the 300gp each we also have 100pp to split so some shopping on the way?

RCgothic
2016-09-22, 04:56 AM
Lara

Lara catches Locksley's meaning readily enough. "I'll explain later," she whispers to Grimgor, as eager as the half elf not to get into details with a Lady present.

"Of course I'd be happy to assist," Lara confirms to Lavina.

Stegyre
2016-09-22, 09:33 AM
'Tienne

'Tienne just stares blankly, not following any of the conversation. Locksley and Lara seem to know the situation, so the thing to do was simply to follow them.

Starbin
2016-09-23, 02:05 PM
Grimgor

Grimgor grunted at Lara, a grumpy look on his face. "Well, let's git on wit' it, then ..." The dwarf looked ready to leave, unhappy at the double-take that was seemingly going on.

ready to move out

Status
F +5, R +2, W +1

redzimmer
2016-09-24, 12:33 PM
Locksley

Familiar as he was with the seemy underseams of Sasserine, Locksley sets out to digs up what he can on Vanthus.

"Come, my new friends! Let us bask in the feverish glow of our beloved city!"

[roll0]

Some time later he comes up very dry and very bored.

"I guess my face is too familiar. Maestra Lara, would you aid in my search?"

DrK
2016-09-24, 04:21 PM
Lavinia gives you all a friendly smile and a firm handshake as she see's you escorted out of the Castle Vaults and ferried across to the bustling city. Now late in the evening the city is alive! Everburning lantenrs and torches in locked sconces decorate the noble's district as in the poorer districts lamp lighters walk down the street setting off the crude wooden torches. The jungle's evening course is loud even over the city noise as the pant hoots of various monkey and ape species in the forest competing with the roar of big cats and bigger lizards and the chirps and shrieks of birds.

Heading into the slightly well to do Azure district packed with more unusual artisans and shops catering to the more unusual Locksley meets little success in the first couple of inns but eventually after an hour or two of pottering from bar to skewered lizard street vendor you can see down a substantial alleyway the glowing pink/purple lanterns of well to do looking inn spanning 3 floors of a stout looking tiled house with a large wooden sign with an elaborate painted pink parrot on it. By the door a pair of large and burly guards stand watching the street, both massive and looking even larger with elaborate feathered helmets and halberds with long feathered blades. As you all saunter down the alley the two guards look at you all, a strange group by any stretch of the imagination. "What you lot wanting?"

redzimmer
2016-09-24, 05:24 PM
Locksley

Locksley sniffs disdainfully with the air of a man with little time for the doormen of the world.

"My guests are newly rich and want to partake in the finest Shrine to Myhriss in Oerik, dear fellow. I suppose you charge an 'entry fee?'"

The half-elf alludes to the jangling bags of coins his companions are sporting on their persons. he then leans in to speak in a conspiratorial voice.

"Come along then, man. My patrons are growing bored even as we stand here. I get a commission from your boss for each mark I get to cross your threshold here. I'll give you... five per cent."

[roll0]

"Okay, okay okay... ten percent! But hurry before the dwarf wanders off!"

[roll1]

Locksley turns and speaks Draconic at the others.

"No guard in this city would ever speak draconic. I am trying to get them to go for less than the usual 15 percent I give to a brothel's guards."

[roll2]
[roll3]

He looks at the guards again and grins his sleaziest grin.

Ghostfoot
2016-09-24, 10:53 PM
Tyndall

A little confused by his jaunty companion's quick-witted banter Tyndall struggles to stifle a yawn at the mention of "bored" and turns to see if the dwarf has in fact wandered off...

He's not the sharpest tool in the box, but hoping for some sort of unintended synergy benefit here.

Aid another:

Bluff [roll0]
Diplomacy [roll1]

Starbin
2016-09-25, 01:05 AM
Grimgor

Walking around the city at night, Grimgor listened to the sounds of the jungle with interest - they almost mocked the urban sounds of the city. Upon arriving at the strange place, he elected to let the Pretty Boy (?) do the talking. However, the fist words out of the lad's mouth was to announce them as rich, which effectively marked them as ... well, marks. Growling, he looked around to see who else might be listening ... and considered the discussion he would have with Locksley later.

Here come the thieves!

Status
F +5, R +2, W +1

Stegyre
2016-09-25, 04:49 PM
'Tienne

'Tienne gathers what pieces he can of the destroyed construct before they leave the vault – Never know what you might be able to learn from something like that – and follows the others through the streets to the pink something-or-other-place-that-Locksley-knows about. He stands dumbly while Locksley (who is clearly in his element) engages the guards at the door. We're supposed to be reach, and we're here to "partake of the finest shrine to Myhriss . . . .

He searches his memory for the name.
Knowledge (whatever) [roll0]

Edit: basic knowledge: "The Flan Goddess of Love, Romance, and Beauty."

"So is this a museum?" he whispers to no one in particular.

DrK
2016-09-29, 03:52 PM
The bouncers grin at Tyndall and Locksley and open the doors revealing heavy curtains behind. THey motion at a fat burly man behind a counter. "Weapons now lads and lasses. We don't allow any blades or owt in the Parrot. Ye'll get a ticket and its a strong box." He gestures behind him to where a dozen large and heavy looking chests are stacked on walls. All heavy, metal and secured to wall and floor with thick chains. Once you hand your weapons over he motions to yet another tall armoured and armed bouncer who pulls open the curtains...

They open to an exotic green skinned beautiful half orc woman who shows you all into the room beyond. The setting is luxurious with small cavern like booths sitting 6-7 people, each with a large table complete with pole in the centre of the small caves. SHe welcomes you and shows you to one of the booths. The entire place filled with a rich heady smell of incense that curls around in thick pink and purple mists with the whole area dimly lit by flickering reddish lanterns.

The half orc hostess shows you to your table before looking at you all, a smile on her face revealing long polished and pointed teeth. "What brings you here this evening? Can we help you with anything, would you like to see the girls, or with a glance at Laras, the boys for you to make your choices?"

Stegyre
2016-09-29, 04:51 PM
'Tienne

"It's really just a walking stick," 'Tienne whispers, as the large man puts his hand out. Not wanting to cause trouble, he hands it over. There are probably couches to sit on while we look at the paintings, so not much walking, he reasons.

He's puzzled to see the tables and poles, until the realization hits him: Dancing! That's what they do here.

He seats himself at the back of the booth, so the others can get in, and looks expectantly at Locksley, wondering what happens next.

Starbin
2016-09-29, 04:53 PM
Grimgor

When asked to turn over his weapons, Grimgor started swell up, but at the mention of a lockbox, he was somewhat mollified. He took his own weapons to the box and ensured they were secured properly. Then he glanced at whoever was in charge of the boxes and grunted, "If'n there's a scratch Ah dinnae make, someone's payin' ..."

Pocketing the key, he followed the others into the room, with numerous glances at the lockers.

Oh sure take away my weapons!

Status
F +5, R +2, W +1
Weapons: Shield

redzimmer
2016-09-29, 06:56 PM
Locksley

Locksley immediately regrets not palming a dagger, and reminds himself not to forget next time.

He waits patiently for his companions to present their case, ready to swoop in if a silvered tongue is required.

But I am steeped in bulls**t.

Ghostfoot
2016-10-01, 04:51 AM
Tyndall

"Sure" says Tyndall, handing over his weaponry. Looking around at the others and then the hostess he clears his throat. "We, ah, we're still waiting on one of our friends to join us. He'll be here soon, I'm sure. Some drinks would be welcome, while we wait."

He pays the hostess and waits until she comes back before trying to subtly see if she'll let anything slip "A fine place this, we were told and they were not wrong. You must attract some wealthy folk to an establishment like this. I bet you've seen some hefty tabs called in here, eh? Say, have you seen our friend here already, his name's V-"

Gather Info [roll0]
With Wis 8 Tyndall's about to blurt out Vanthus' name. Feel free to interrupt him or we can see how this goes...

RCgothic
2016-10-01, 09:41 AM
Lara hands over her obvious greatsword, but she keeps hold of her concealed darts. She's content to let the others take the lead for the moment.

DrK
2016-10-03, 03:10 PM
The woman smiles and laughs at Tyndall before nodding and waving around the bar. "You mean Vanthus.. Yeah. He's been here a lot recently. Brissa has been his favourite girl of late." She smiles sweetly as the drinks arrive along with the expensive bill at over a silver per drink. "Brissa isn't working here tonight. When she's not here she's down shadowshore I think. Works nights for a pimp named Penkus."

Looking around her own much nice establishment she smiles. "What can we do for you tonight? The night is yet young as most of you seem."

redzimmer
2016-10-03, 04:32 PM
"What can we do for you tonight? The night is yet young as most of you seem."

Locksley

The bard smiles with a gleam. He would dearly love to discomfit 'Tienne and Amara, but more pressing things were at hand.

No, maybe just a little fun.

He leans in ans speaks quietly to the hostess.

"It's the dwarf's birthday and he wanted to taste the town's pleasures before he takes his vows of celibacy and ships off the the monastery of Dumathoin."

He nods to Grimgor happily.

"Can you surprise him with some exotic dancing? A couple halflings or a gnome if you've one? Boy or girls, doesn't much matter. I myself want to hit the tables. My coin is far too heavy."

He pats his near-empty (though she needs not know this) purse.

Wait, where the devil is Amara? I've not seen her since we got here...

Bluff [roll0]
Gather information [roll1]

Whoops. Someone else's turn.

DrK
2016-10-10, 04:33 PM
The woman laughs, a low tinkling laugh "Of course. That's not a problem. Anything you want we can supply. Now Master Locksely, how about whilst you are buying my wine and spirits and women you can tell me why such a strange party has come to my establishment." Her eyes flash slightly showing the intelligence behind the pretty facade. She does however clap her hands and a stream of pretty boys and girls pop out and parade in front of the party smiling and pouting in equal manner.

redzimmer
2016-10-10, 06:03 PM
Locksley

In a low voice, Locksley speaks with the hostess.

"Okay, I shall level with you. Vanthus has been a naughty boy as of late. I represent interested parties who want him dealt with in a discreet manner. If you know not his current whereabouts, it might at least be worthwhile to keep my friends and I apprised of any sudden change in your knowledge."

Locksley takes a moment to steal a caress of one of the young offerings on parade. He then draws away from the hostess and speaks with his companions.

"This lady who Vanthus fancies, Brissa. She might be the next person we should question, and her pimp Penkus."

He sips a ridiculously expensive drink, and motions for a courtesan at random to dance for him.

"Who wants to settle our tab here? I fear I spent my last coin on the doormen."

Gives his last 10 gp to them on the way out.

Starbin
2016-10-11, 05:02 PM
Grimgor

The dwarf glared at the fancy man, certain his companion was saying something unflattering about the dwarf. He started to move forward, but then decided against it. As the room began to fill with young, nubile 'professionals' the dwarf sighed explosively and stomped towards the door. "Ah'll be outside ..."

The fully armed dwarf should be more than enough of a deterrent as he waits outside ...

Status
F +5, R +2, W +1

Stegyre
2016-10-12, 12:25 AM
'Tienne

"We're not staying for the dancing?" 'Tienne asks. It's understandable why the dwarf wouldn't be interested (not known for dancing, dwarves) but no one else? Oh, well. He feels for his coin purse as he prepares to follow the others. "How much do we owe?"

DrK
2016-10-12, 04:35 PM
In amongst the dancing ladies the hostess laughs a little as she sits beside you all briefly pouring another glass from another expensive bottle of elven wine. "Oh Locksley... I can help a you a little. Penkus has a betting shop down ni the shdowshore docks where he spends most of his time. Brissa has rooms where she lives above the fishing shop The Angry barracuda" so that's your best bet to starting looking for darling Vanthus. If you do see him remind him he still has his tab open here."

She glances at Locksley's empty pouch, "You're own tab however you can settled before you leave. As its was just show and no action its cheap, only 25 imperials. And well worth it for that."

25 gp and 2 clues.

Stegyre
2016-10-12, 06:07 PM
'Tienne

'Tienne blanches as he hands over half his purse.
25 gp tab paid
We didn't even see any dancing!

This is why Locksley is always borrowing money.

RCgothic
2016-10-16, 03:14 PM
Lara is used to the company and antics of sailors, so a room full of naked people is no big deal to her. She enjoys the show and then hands over the required purse at the end of it. She's a little unsure whether Locksley's getting anywhere with his inquiries...

redzimmer
2016-10-16, 04:50 PM
Locksley

"Well, my new friends," Locksley says as he finds Grimgor outside, "shall we seek out Brissa? She may have a more intimate itinerary for Vanthus than yon flesh marketeers."

Inwardly he wonders how much longer the group will buy into his sham of knowing what he's doing.

It's always just a show, so keep 'em laughing as you go. Just remember that the last laugh is on you.

Ghostfoot
2016-10-17, 05:34 AM
Tyndall

Tyndall's attention snaps back and he blinks a bit to regain focus after the sea of pink. "Oh yes, Brissa. Right you are." He hands over coin, retrieves his weapons and follows the others outside to continue the search for Vanthus.

Starbin
2016-10-18, 07:12 PM
Grimgor

The dwarf nodded absently, his focus still on the shadows. With a grunt, he pushed away from the wall he was leaning on and started in the direction indicated. He muttered back to the others, "'N keep yer voice down ... ye dinnae 'ave t'announce our bizness t'everyone ..."

Ready to press on!

Status
F +5, R +2, W +1

DrK
2016-10-20, 10:39 AM
Leaving the wiles and the (very) attractive sights of the brothel you all venture forth once more in the bustling and hectic streets of Sasserine. This time in search of Brissa and the Angry Barracuda fishery in the Shadowshore district. The streets are packed as you make your way through the city and the night is alive as street vendors sell seared lizards on sticks, hawkers sell feathers, charms and other fetishes from the jungle and traders from all over the Flaeness make their way through the crowd. Down in the docks the crowds are if anything even thicker although of a rougher sort with seamen drunk and reeling from bar to bar fighting and carousing as the city watch with the Kraken of Sasserine on their overcoats use clubs and staffs to beat order into the chaotic streets.

The street with the fishery on is quieter, the smell likely a contributing factor. The shop with a couple of small boats on wooden trellises outside clearly selling all manner of marine related items is sandwiched between a smokery where the smell is strongest and what looks like a cheap jewellers at best judging from the sign although this late at night the door is barred and closed. Only a few beggars litter the narrow street, You walk past 3 of them clustered against the wall watching you beady eyes as they call out for money but then a shout from another two ahead of you causes you to stop. The leader of the two beggars ahead throwing aside the dirty cloak to reveal a chain shirt and a long handled sabre. "You ought to keep yourselves out of Lotus Dragon business. Now either hand over those pouches or we'll have to teach you lot a lesson." The soft hiss of weapons being drawn behind you suggest the that other 3 beggars are thieves as well....

The lotus dragons are known to Locklsey, Tyndall and Lara, a new thieves guild spreading through the Sasserine underworld rapidly over the pat 6 months to a year and now the largest of the underworld guilds.

redzimmer
2016-10-20, 11:44 AM
Locksley

"Fresh out of coin, my feisty friend. Will you take a promissory note instead?"

Locksley allows the bully boys to see the general bristling-ness of arms wielded by Grimgor and Lara.

"We have steel if you prefer..."

[roll0]

Well this isn't my field of expertise anyway. We have an arrangement here. I deal with the pimps and madams, Grimgor deals with the killing and distributing pants-soiling terror.

Starbin
2016-10-20, 08:11 PM
Grimgor

The dwarf glanced at the men, an incredulous look on his bearded face. Pulling free his axe and shield, he smiled and stepped forward into an aggressive stance. "Aye, lad... plenty o'steel ta go Arlin' ..."

Stance, step and attack. Using steely strike (attack two goes as standard action)
Vs Speaker [roll0], [roll1]+[roll2]
Vs unfortunate soul next to speaker [roll3], [roll4]+[roll5]

Status
F +5, R +2, W +1
Stance: Punishing Stance (+1d6 dam, -2 AC)
Weapons: Axe & Shield
Effects:

EDIT: Wow. We aren't getting out of this easy. Horrible rolls!

Stegyre
2016-10-20, 11:42 PM
'Tienne

That dwarf is going to –

or maybe not, 'Tienne thinks, in surprise, as Grimgor's usually deadly attacks seem to go astray. Trying to help out, he steps to the side and swings his walking stick at the head of the leader with all his might.
Move action to get in range, with a view to stepping into a flanking position next round.
Standard action attack: [roll0], [roll1]

That's reassuring: the universe has not completely reversed itself. 'Tienne remains as incompetent as ever.

redzimmer
2016-10-20, 11:56 PM
Locksley

"It has been a long day and we have a lot to do still!"

Drawing his rapier, Locksley readies for the bite of the blade.

If not in a threatened space, move to flank the leader.

Seriously though, where did Amara go?

Ghostfoot
2016-10-21, 01:17 PM
Tyndall

Still thinking of pink Tyndall with a jolt suddenly notices the bristling weapons on all sides. Without a thought to the alternatives he follows the lead of his new companions and draws his scimitar with a "Ha!" moving to a favourable position.

Move action: Draw weapon
Move action: Move to flank someone

Longbow +1 (1d8, x3)
Condition
Master of Tactics: All allies within 60ft get +3 circumstance bonus to damage when flanking

RCgothic
2016-10-24, 06:13 AM
Lara draws her gigantic sword and prepares for a short but bloody fight.

DrK
2016-10-26, 07:26 AM
With an aggressive stance most of the party surge forward but the thieves do well as they avoid Grimgor's long pike although the leader is concerned as Tienee and Tyndall flank him and Locklsely harasses one of the others flanking with the angry looking dwarf. Lara following up holding the rear and the three that were tailing you all. With a roar the three at the back surge forward, long handled curved daggers flashing in the dim torch light as they move to flank the hulking and angry looking Grimgor and the third charges into Lara.

charge vs Lara [roll0] dam [roll1]
flank vs Grimgor [roll2] dam [roll3] + [roll4]
flank vs Grimgor [roll5] dam [roll6] + [roll7]

The leader looks suprised before hissing darkly and slashing wildly around, his footwork distracting locklsey allowing the other theif to strike at his kidneys as the leader spins round his sable slashing at Tyndall's eyes leaving shadows clinging to them! Grimgor recognising the movements of a martial adept!

Leader:
swift: move into island of blades
Std: clinging shadow strike on Tyndall [roll8] dam [roll9]+ [roll10] and Fort DC 13 or concealemnt on all your attacks next round

Thief adjacent to lockley, flanks due to leader stance
[roll11] dam [roll12] + [roll13]

redzimmer
2016-10-26, 07:58 AM
Locksley

Cold, stabbing pain is all Locksley feels before all goes dark and he collapses...

'Stabbing pain' Locksley? Do you really want your last thoughts to be a mediocre pu...

HP -1

RCgothic
2016-10-26, 08:17 AM
Lara immediately slashes back at the thief who attacked her. "Looks like y' brought a knife to a swordfight, cully! Is a few gold really worth dyin' fer?"
Inspiration to finish this quickly
Attack: [roll0] 1pt
Damage: [roll1] 1pt

3pts remaining

Having run the hoodlum through, she advances menacingly on the next in line.

Stegyre
2016-10-26, 04:39 PM
'Tienne

Watching Grimgor's thrust go wild and Locksley fall beneath one of the thieves' daggers, 'Tienne does not share Lara's confidence, wondering instead if they will all end up throats slit, purses pilfered, and their cold bodies dumped into the harbor for the watch to find. Desperately, he plants one end of his walking stick on the ground for balance and aims a kick at the leader with all his might.
Take another 5' step if necessary to get into flanking position of the leader.

Unarmed strike vs. leader, enhanced with 1 essentia: [roll0], [roll1]

Please be useful! Please be useful!

Felhammer
2016-10-26, 05:43 PM
Amara

The elf rushes up to her ally Locksley and channels the healing touch of her beloved god into him.

CLW [roll0]

redzimmer
2016-10-26, 06:19 PM
Locksley

As his body goes now out of shock, Locksley ponders his situation.

So. I am not dead. I suppose I should get up...

Starbin
2016-10-26, 10:59 PM
Grimgor

Frowning, the dwarf stepped forward to evade the flank the two beggars had set up. "Och, Ah mus' be slippin' ..."

5' step, swift action to recover maneuvers, standard to attack one of the flankers (unless he can get a flank vs someone else).
Vs Flanker [roll0] [roll1]+[roll2] =15

Status
F +5, R +2, W +1
Effects:

Ghostfoot
2016-10-27, 04:39 AM
Tyndall

As the melee erupts and people start falling down bleeding Tyndall hacks and stabs about himself with his scimitar as best he can "Take that, low-life ruffians!"

Standard action: Scimitar vs leader [roll0] +2 for flank = 18; damage [roll1] (incl. flank)

Longbow +1 (1d8, x3)
Condition
Master of Tactics: All allies within 60ft get +3 circumstance bonus to damage when flanking

DrK
2016-10-28, 05:04 PM
Locklley crumples to the ground, blood splashing from him but seconds later Amara, the nimble elf runs out to send cool healing energy into him restoring his breath. At the back Lara parries a dagger and replies, her greatsword skewering one of the thieves. Seconds later Grimgor does likewsie, the axe splitting skull and brain onto the pavement. In the front Tienne kicks at the leader catching him a bruising blow before Tyndall swings his scimitar, the blade cutting down the thief that had been beside the leader. The two remaining thieves look stunned at the sudden turn of events as three of them are cut down harshly!

The leader hisses a curse as he rolls backwards, his form wreathing in shadow as he darts 30ft down the street heading towards the nearest intersection whilst the the one beside Grimgor backs up 10ft before turnng and leaping up grabbing the lintel of a first floor window and starting to climb up the wall onto the flat roof.

Leader withdraws 30ft changing into Child of Shadow stance

Theief withdraws 10ft form Grimgor and climbs 10ft up the wall.

Stegyre
2016-10-28, 05:47 PM
'Tienne

That was unexpected, 'Tienne thinks, as his kick solidly connects. Emboldened to exercise more courage than sense, he charges after the fleeing leader . . .
Charge attack:
[roll0], [roll1]
[roll2] (1-20 misses)

Crossing fingers and hoping lightning strikes twice.

Oh, poop! There's the 'Tienne we all know and . . . tolerate.

redzimmer
2016-10-28, 05:48 PM
Locksley

"Praise the Dolphin Prince," Locksley says, standing and drawing his bow.

Felhammer
2016-10-28, 11:20 PM
Amrara

Amrara nods, "Agreed. Praise be to Dolphin Prince. Wiffout him, you'd be out at sea wiffout a boat to keep you afloat!"

Starbin
2016-10-30, 04:55 PM
Grimgor

With a grunt, the dwarf rushed off as the leader of the thieves tried to escape. "Oi, where ye think yer goin', ye git?". Rushing forward, he tried to knock the foe down ... or into a wall.

Chargin minotaur! Bull rush with no AOOs, [roll0], [roll1], [roll2]

Status
F +5, R +2, W +1
Effects:

RCgothic
2016-10-30, 05:33 PM
Lara charges at the thief who'd thought to escape by climbing!

Charge [roll0] +2charge +int inspiration
Damage [roll1] +int inspiration

Inspiration 1/5 remaining

redzimmer
2016-10-30, 05:39 PM
Locksley

Dusting himself off, Locksley sets about searching the bodies.

[roll0] Search

Stegyre
2016-10-30, 06:07 PM
Tienne

Tienne picks himself up from next to where Grimgor has just expertly slammed the robber leader into the alley wall. He feels his face turning red and hopes the others did not see how foolish he just looked, kicking a wall by mistake. At least I didn't twist an ankle.

Felhammer
2016-10-31, 03:02 AM
Amara

Roused from her intense memories of the passionate night she spent with her god by the yelling of her companions, the elf knocks an arrow and fires it off at the thief who is climbing up the wall.

Attack the thief: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

DrK
2016-10-31, 05:10 PM
Even as the thieves of the Lotus Dragons try to disengage the heroes disabuse them of that notion. The thief trying to retreat up the wall cries out in pain as Amara's arrow thuds into his arm. As he slips and dangles by his other arm Lara reaches him, the lithe woman leaping up with the sword and pinning the thief to the wall through the chest before the thief slides down in a pool of blood quite dead. At the other end of the alley Grimgor gives chase catching the leader of the band of cut throats. Undettered by the swirling cloud of shadows the angry dwarf barrels forward and with a great thump slams the leader into the wall where with a sickening crunch before he slips to the ground quite dead! Searching the bodies you find a collection of potions and coins and also most tellingly a note from none other than Vanthus himself.

These so called adventurers my dear sister has hired are bothering me. Obey your mistress and have them killed and dumped in the river. THey cannot be allowed to disrupt my work on parrot island.

-
Vanthus

Potions [Cure light x 2, spider climb x1, cat's grace x 1]
88gp, 42 sp
Least weapon crystal of Cold

redzimmer
2016-10-31, 05:57 PM
Locksley

"Well fancy this, our pesky Lord Vanthus seems aware of our inquiries."

He hands over the loot for group appraisal, then takes inventory of his wounds.

"I don't want to sound defeatist, before we press on we should regroup. I for one need to replenish myself do that I might tap the dragonsong if needs arise."

Starbin
2016-10-31, 06:33 PM
Grimgor

Grimgor nodded in satisfaction to himself, happy to have finally performed up to his expectations. Peeling the man off of his shoulder, he dragged the body back to drop it off with the others. However, when the others shared the words in the note, his face darkened into a thunderstorm of barely contained rage. "Tha' sunnuva ... Lady better not want 'er bruther alive ... cuz Ah'm gonna flatter 'is skin from th'bones!"

Oooh .. the bro is a dead man walking!

Status
F +5, R +2, W +1
Effects: none

Stegyre
2016-10-31, 06:47 PM
Tienne

"Parrot Island?"
[roll0]

"Hey! I might actually know this one."

Felhammer
2016-10-31, 07:04 PM
Amara

The elf is happy with her aim although the loss of life pains her. She looks over at Tienne and says with a wink, "I got a feelin' you know where Parrot Island is 'cause I sure as heck don't."

The elf looks over the loot. She holds the crystal up to the sky and tries to look through it, "What ffe heck do you ffink ffis is?"

Ghostfoot
2016-11-01, 04:52 AM
Tyndall

"Parrot Island does sound familiar..."Tyndall ponders as he helps pat down the bodies.

Knowledge local [roll0]

RCgothic
2016-11-01, 04:56 PM
"I don't know about you guys, but I'm feeling pretty motivated about working for Lady Lavinia right now", Lara complains as she flicks the thieves' blood from her sword, although this time she doesn't bother resheathing it.

Knowledge Geography/Local: [roll0]

DrK
2016-11-01, 05:08 PM
Standing in the alley as Grimgor stacks the bloody bodies in the narrow gap between two buildings both Tienne and Lara think carefully about Parrot island before looking south out at the sea and the rocky outcropping some 200 yards from the shore of Shadowshore and only a few hundred yards where you stand now. The long thin island is surrounded by 30ft high cliffs aside from the eastern end that slopes down into smooth sandy beach. The island has been know for tunnels underneath that smugglers have used for generations and the thick canopy on the island is filled with multicoloured birds that caw racously in the mornings.

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/rythiae/images/d/d4/Shadowshore_Map.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20141212125151

Stegyre
2016-11-01, 06:32 PM
Tienne

"It's that narrow island over there," Tienne points. "We should get my boat."