PDA

View Full Version : Dyer's Carrion Crown

Pages : [1] 2 3

DyerMaker
2016-07-11, 09:46 PM
http://i.imgur.com/DIA5nb7.jpg

An amber leaf fell before my stride. The first winds of autumn pressed against my back when the croak of the raven rang in my ears. It's solitary edict unnerved me. I looked up and to the side to spot this prophet in black. But, he found me first. Perching on my shoulder with the stealth of an assassins blade, I cut my eyes leftward to receive his piercing gaze. His small feet scratched at my coat when our eyes met. A magical raven from Lepidstadt. Were it not for the minute cyan flecks in its soot-colored eyes, one would never recognize the difference. Removing the message attached to its leg I immediately felt anxious, my heart beating faster and faster. Unwrapping the note, anxiety became a coldness, an icy presence that immobilized me for an eternity. Scanning the parchment, only certain words leapt from the page. Professor Petros was dead.

You've arrived at the University of Lepidstadt on this 3rd day of Rova for the funeral of your most cheristed mentor, Petros Lorrimor. From here, carriages will take you to the professor's home in Ravengro. Rain falls at a steady pace, tip-tapping off of the wooden shingles and intricate stonework of this most famed institution. It is a dark, overcast day where the sun finds no invitation from it central pedestal in the cosmos. You arrive at different times and in different ways with your own stories to tell meeting friends you haven't seen in some time and others you saw only weeks ago. There is a presentiment in this day, like a pressure so heavy against your chest that breathing is often difficult. The University caretaker Wolver Gurlitt greets you as set foot on the campus.

Edge
2016-07-12, 06:24 AM
The raven hadn't had far to go to find Ariselde Cummani, though as it flew into the shabby apartment she was renting above tannery on the outskirts of the city, the smell probably made it wish otherwise. The alchemist was hunched over her workbench, feverishly pouring over notes as a phial of some reeking concoction bubbled slowly over a small flame. It took the raven several caws to catch her attention, drawing a irritated glare from her. Still, the alchemist pushed some unkempt hair out of her face, took the raven's letter, and read. The words on the parchment made her heart sink.

-----------------

On the 3rd of Rova, Ariselde arrives early and on foot, having had only a relatively short distance to go. She's made an effort to try and look presentable, but even her best set of clothes have seen several days' worth of work at her bench, and are worn and splashed here and there with burn marks from both flame and acid. She's gathered her dark hair into a bun, but several stray locks defy her attempts at order.

Ariselde is thankful for the overcast sky, as it means she doesn't need to shade her eyes as she walks. Catching a glimpse of Wolver as she enters the university grounds, she flashes him a wan smile and a half-hearted wave and walks over.

"Morning, Wolver," she says, trying her best not to sound morose. "Well, at least the weather decided to be respectfully appropriate, I suppose."

Space Lawyer
2016-07-12, 08:13 AM
Lani

Lani arrives at the courtyard with a heavy heart. His death was certainly a shock, and Lani was taking it hard. It had been at least a year since she had seen the professor, but she still regarded him as a close friend. She had watched him grow from a middle-aged man into an older one, much as he had watched her grow from a curious girl into a knowledgeable student.

The umbrella keeps her shielded from the rain. A good thing too, because she had just bought this outfit. It would be a terrible shame to get it soaked. She had put a lot of effort into picking this out and getting her hair done. It would be unseemly to walk around the university looking anything less than her best, to say nothing of the professor's funeral. She had a reputation to uphold.

It seems she isn't the first to arrive though. Wolver and another woman were waiting. The human woman, the one with the animal scars down her neck . . . Ariselde, that was her name!

"Hello Ariselde, Wolver."

grifter730
2016-07-12, 08:20 AM
Vas watched the gathering of people with a detached blank stare. The grey skies were tearing, and the pitter-patter of the rain soothed him while the sounds of people's voices in the background sounded as if stretched over a distance. No one talked to him, which was just as well. It'd be bad form to punch someone in the face during a funeral. Vas once again wondered why the professor had to die, forcing him to come back to this place and be surrounded by these people again.

As he approaches the university, a familiar face greeted him. Vas mumbles a soft curse, then takes out a cigar and lights it before moving on, hoping the man was too preoccupied to notice or greet him.

Edge
2016-07-12, 08:21 AM
Ariselde blinks as the aasimar approaches, before blushing slightly. The sudden combination of feeling very under-dressed for the occasion and forgetting the woman's name has her slightly embarrassed.

"Morning," she says offering her hand to the bard. "Apologies, I'm afraid I've forgotten your name, miss. One moment, I'm sure it'll come to me."

She wracks her brain for a moment.

"Lana, was it?"

Space Lawyer
2016-07-12, 08:46 AM
Lani

Lani shakes the offered hand. "Lani, Lani Arioch. No matter; I spend most of my time in the auditoriums and dueling halls. Not much opportunity for us to cross paths," she says with a genuinely warm and friendly tone.

Edge
2016-07-12, 08:57 AM
"Lani," Ariselde nods, committing the name to memory - properly this time. "Still, the least I could have done is remember your name. Again, apologies. I've... not really been sleeping for the past few months as it is. And then I got the letter about... about the professor. Which might have compounded the issue. I'm not exactly at my best right now."

Ariselde's sunken face, and the bags under her eyes, definitely seem to support her. But she leaves her worry about a lack of a colleague in her research unsaid.

DyerMaker
2016-07-12, 02:05 PM
Wolver limps toward Ariselde and Lani. A human man nearing his seventieth year, Wolver has been employed as the university's caretaker for 30+ years. He was once a tall fellow. A former soldier of Lastwall who came to Ustalav for unknown reasons. Now, he hunches forward on his heavy cane, limping as he walks. His thinning hair soaked by the late afternoon rain. The brown, tattered jacket he always wore still held the embroidered coat of arms of Lepidstadt—the blue lion, the black raven, the red adder, the white swan. Aye, ye ladies. He stumbles a bit, looking down to gain balance. Ríthe ye go tod'e King's parlor. Ye coaches b'along e'r soon.
The Kings Parlor is a small room in the southeast corner of the main administration building at Lepidstadt; one of the larger buildings on campus with a location near the entrance. The parlor is floor to ceiling windows on two sides, giving one the best vantage for an approaching coach or anyone for that matter. Younger, often affluent students would wait in this room for their proper guardian to arrive on holidays.

grifter730
2016-07-12, 04:59 PM
With his head down and covered in a cowl, Vas walks past Wolver just as the man mentions that a coach will be along to take them to the King's Parlor.

How far away is the King's Parlor from the entrance? I assume Vas would know. Trying to figure out if he'd rather walk the distance in the rain, or jump in the coach with other people.

Edge
2016-07-12, 05:10 PM
"Thank you, Wolver," Ariselde says with a wan smile, before turning back to Lani. "Shall we? Has to beat standing in the rain."

Space Lawyer
2016-07-12, 06:05 PM
Lani

"Absolutely. Maybe they'll have some of those little meat pies made fresh. They're so good right out of the oven; not so much if they've had time to cool." Lani shares her umbrella with Ariselde as they walk to the parlor.

Sleepy Shade
2016-07-12, 06:09 PM
Toby looked at the letter his hands shaking but from anger or sadness he did not know.
-
Toby arrived at collage exhausted from his trip. The people of this land had made it abundantly clear that they did not trust him. It had taken him an extra day of traveling from Vigil because of their unwillingness to just give him some directions. The few he had asked mostly brushed him off or out right ignored his questions.
To be fair he thought he looked pretty intimidating with the dark black hood he wore. Also he had seen almost no other half orcs on the rode so he felt very out of place. He wore a simple black shirt and vest with a pair of simple dark brown pants and his only pair of boots. He had been sent to attend the Professors passing due by his fathers business. It had been damaged quite extensively when two wizards got into a drunken duel over summoning and fire spells. Samuel sent Toby in his stead while he oversaw the repairs.
While it had been years since he had saw the professor, Samuel thought it would be appropriate to send Toby to oversee the funeral and the reading of the will. As he entered the campus he over heard the the grounds keeper "Ríthe ye go tod'e King's parlor. Ye coaches b'along e'r soon."
Good he thought maybe they knew where the Kings parlor was.
“Hey you two” he calls out “you heading to the King's parlor I need a ride there.”

Phasm
2016-07-12, 10:50 PM
A slender young woman jogs up to the group in a jingle of scale mail. Deep blue eyes peer out from beneath a broad-brimmed hat. That's about all one can tell about her, since her face is swathed in a black veil and her hands are covered with gauntlets that match the rest of the mail. "Wolver? Oh, I hope I'm not late, there was a cart turned over on Main Street and I had to go the long way." Her voice is light and pleasant, albeit a bit muffled from the veil. Armor is an unusual choice for a funeral, but Tessara has a... feeling. And wearing armor is the easiest way to carry it.

"Ariselde! I'm glad to see you here. It will be good to have a friend... there." Her voice breaks on the last word and she looks down at the cobblestones. "He was always so kind to us."

Edge
2016-07-13, 02:52 AM
Ariselde is about to address the young man when an actually familiar face approaches.

"Tessara? What are you-? Ah, stupid question." she says. "And yes. Yes, he was."

The alchemist lets silence hang in the air for a moment before continuing.

"Wolver just told us that a coach will be arriving at the King's Parlour. We were just going to go and get out of the rain."

Space Lawyer
2016-07-13, 08:55 AM
Lani

"Yes; he had such a dark reputation in certain corners, but I never saw that side of him." She greets the newcomer. She had seen this figure around the university at times, but had never greeted her. "Hello, I'm Lani Arioch; who might you be?"

DyerMaker
2016-07-13, 02:19 PM
With his head down and covered in a cowl, Vas walks past Wolver just as the man mentions that a coach will be along to take them to the King's Parlor.

How far away is the King's Parlor from the entrance? I assume Vas would know. Trying to figure out if he'd rather walk the distance in the rain, or jump in the coach with other people.
50 meters.

DyerMaker
2016-07-13, 02:32 PM
"Wolver? Oh, I hope I'm not late, there was a cart turned over on Main Street and I had to go the long way." Her voice is light and pleasant, albeit a bit muffled from the veil. Ní Tessara, be'ye tú not late'chur a'tall. Ye go tod'e King's parlor, an tú thaere ye do'wait fer d'ur coaches. Ní bhfunr'all be'not do uair an h'our mor'still. Wolver never lost that Lastwall accent.

Phasm
2016-07-13, 02:32 PM
Tessara extends a mailed hand to the bard. "Tessara Erevel, pleased to meet you. Although I wish it were under better circumstances."

DyerMaker
2016-07-13, 02:45 PM
Toby arrived at the funeral sometime after the ceremony begins.
The funeral has yet to begin. You're going from the university to the Professor's home, then the funeral.

Sleepy Shade
2016-07-13, 04:19 PM
Terry struggled with the Grounds keepers thick accent turning the near incomprehensible talk over in his head he realized what he had said was about the carriages and that the funeral would be an hour off. He smiled it was a relief that he had not missed the opening ceremonies.
Turning to the girls he addressed the one who introduced herself as Lani.
"Toby Abbott sorry about the rough intro I've had some difficulties getting here from Vigil. I'm here to attend the late professors funeral and I was told to head to the Kings Room."

grifter730
2016-07-13, 04:28 PM
Vas keeps his eyes locked in front of him, keeping Wolver at his peripherals. He shakes his head in disbelief, seeing what looks to be a group of people looking to take a carriage for a mere fifty meters of walking or running in the rain. Vas continues walking towards the King's Parlor.

Sleepy Shade
2016-07-14, 06:30 AM
As the Man walked past Toby decided to follow him maybe he could lead him some place to get out of the rain.

Space Lawyer
2016-07-14, 06:46 AM
Lani

Lani shakes hands with Toby. "Ah, we're heading there now. It should be much nicer than standing out here. While the university takes on a stark beauty in this weather, and the sound of rain on the rooftops is always wonderful, I think it might be best inside next to a fire."

Edge
2016-07-14, 07:05 AM
"Indeed. No sense catching a cold. Especially when I don't have a concoction to cure it," Ariselde says, attempting to surreptitiously slide under Lani's umbrella once she finishes.

DyerMaker
2016-07-14, 02:38 PM
The stone staircase leading into the administration building is wide and tall. At its genesis stand two upright lions, ornate, crowned, with legs together and paws forward. This is known as the salient lion and symbolizes the noble pursuits of the University of Lepidstadt and recognizes the strength, bravery, and honor of its students. The blue lion on the crest is the first quadrant. Entering this hall brings back very few memories. Administration affairs did not typically involve students. As such, you only see a few staff mingling through the main hall. Walking into the King's Parlor you find it empty with no fire currently lit for warmth. The furniture is royal blue and plush. A fine, antique table that seats four is the centerpiece of the room. Upon it is an antique oil lamp and a large, marble chess board. The pieces are pewter and placed in such a way that a game is seen in progress. Perhaps some faculty are still playing this game or have abandoned it for other pursuits. Two of the walls are actually floor to ceiling windows. With the others being stone. From here, you have a great view of the valley below and if you look closely, you can see smoke swirling from the chimney's of Ravengro.

Sleepy Shade
2016-07-14, 02:42 PM
"Right... To be honest it's my first time here" Toby walks besides the group listening to them talk as they enter the campus. As they enter the Kings room Toby goes over to the fire hoping to dry off a bit.
"So I guess you lot are here to also attend the funeral? Was he your teacher?"
He takes the front of his shirt and tries to wring any water out of it. Thankfully it seemed relatively dry.

Edge
2016-07-14, 04:04 PM
"Yes. Yes, he was," Ariselde nods. "Teacher. Mentor. Colleague. In my case, also saviour."

She gestures at the scars on her face and neck.

"Wolf attack," she says by way of explanation.

grifter730
2016-07-14, 04:31 PM
Vas arrives wet, but not much worse than the others. Least they could've done was have the room lit for some warmth. He walks over to the window to stare out onto the view of Ravengro. Not that he cared for the view, but it beats having to make small talk.

Sleepy Shade
2016-07-14, 08:14 PM
"Not much different then me then" he rolls up one sleeve showing off the tattoo "saved my life back Caliphas he made me promise to come here some day and enroll here. However never got the chance to come here until today. Wish it was under better circumstances."

On his right arm he has a tattoo of a shield with an emblem of a small rat holding aloft a skull. The rat stands on the riverbank with a burning ship looming in the background.

Space Lawyer
2016-07-14, 09:08 PM
Lani

The aasimar stacks some wood in the fireplace, and lights it with a harsh word. Soon, a fire is crackling merrily, projecting heat into the room. "I met the professor on my way to the university from my homeland. It would have been around the time most of you were born, or shortly after. I kept him from getting into a fight that he had no hope of winning."

Phasm
2016-07-15, 12:07 AM
Tessara walks up close to the fire, grateful for the warmth. Metal armor can get cold in weather like this. She takes off her gauntlets and tucks them into her belt, revealing thin woolen gloves underneath. "I suffer from two... conditions... that nobody in Caliphas could treat or even identify. My parents sent me to Lepidstadt in hopes that someone would know what was wrong with me. Professor Lorrimor determined that I am an oracle, one of the few who have two oracle's curses. That, by the way, is why I show as little skin as possible."

Looking down, she pauses for a few seconds. "If you feel that something is 'off' or eerie about me, my powers are most likely the culprit. I apologize in advance, it is not something I can control." She lets out a long sigh. "Professor Lorrimor was one of the very few people who could withstand the effect."

DyerMaker
2016-07-15, 11:15 PM
You reside in the parlor for a short time; maybe a half hour when you hear the neigh of horses and the rumbling sound of wooden wheels bouncing against the cobblestone toward the Administration building. The coach is rosewood with black leather and black drapery. Two large, white Ustalav horses pull the coach. It's driver is hunched over the reigns wearing a greyish suit covered by a full black cloak as protection from the rain. The driver pulls close to the base of the steps and pulls hard on the reigns causing the horses to lurch backward and stop abruptly. He climbs down from his high seat and stands near the door.

Sleepy Shade
2016-07-16, 08:17 AM
Toby walks outside he walks over to coach and gets inside.

Edge
2016-07-16, 08:18 AM
Ariselde gives Tessara a sad smile as she explains her curse, but doesn't feel like sharing her own, drifting away from the others to lean by the window. She listens to the conversation rise and fall, when the coach arrives.

"Looks like our lift has arrived, everyone. Let's... let's go see the old man off."

grifter730
2016-07-16, 08:09 PM
Vas puts out his cigar on his way to the carriage, climbing in with a secret sigh.

DyerMaker
2016-07-16, 09:50 PM
The coach driver opens the door as you approach. He nods and tips his cap as Toby and Vas enter. Hello sirs. He then waits patiently for the ladies to make their way down. The coach is plush and will seat 6; three persons on each side with someone being flanked by a companion on either side. The distinct smell of dark-fired tobacco lingers within the coach; the professor's favorite pipe blend.

Phasm
2016-07-16, 11:53 PM
Tessara nods. "Off we go, then." She puts her gauntlets back on and makes her way down to the coach.

Edge
2016-07-17, 05:04 AM
Ariselde walks down alongside Tessara, letting her take a seat first before sliding next to her.

Space Lawyer
2016-07-17, 07:20 AM
Lani

Lani hands her luggage, which she had left in the King's Parlor by fortunate happenstance to the driver to place on top of the carriage. She then climbs in and takes the seat on the other side of Ariselde. "This smell certainly brings back memories. He would cloud whole rooms with great billows of this stuff."

DyerMaker
2016-07-17, 06:44 PM
Hello ladies, as the driver tips his cap, smiles, and then closes the door behind. He heaves the luggage onto a rack at the back of the coach. She'll ride there just fine. He then climbs up to his high seat, takes the reigns. He turns his head to the side and down. Keep you hands inside please. Off to Ravengro we go! STEP GIRLS, STEP With those commands, the carriage moves forward, off campus and toward Ravengro. The rain falls harder. There is an awkward silence within the coach.

Sleepy Shade
2016-07-17, 08:07 PM
Sitting on the outside by the window Toby looks out watching the dreary landscape go by. But this soon bores him and he decides to make a little small talk.
"So besides going to school here what do you guys do? I've been training to work at an Inn for a few years so do you guys have side jobs or are you students full time?"

Space Lawyer
2016-07-17, 09:36 PM
Lani

"I'm a full-time student, though maybe researcher is more apt at this point," Lani says cheerfully. "I haven't seen a reason to leave, and they haven't seen a reason to force me out, so there I'll stay. I really can't imagine going anywhere else, honestly. At some point, every interesting bit of knowledge and culture filters through places like the university. As much as I want to be out discovering new things and being the one making the interesting findings, I would never want to be bereft of a stable base like this place. Barring any misfortune, I'm going to outlive most of the countries that are currently existing. I want to know there is always somewhere for me to come back to."

Phasm
2016-07-18, 01:14 AM
"I've been adventuring. One of my powers is healing, and that's always in demand. Enough so for most people to overlook my, ah, unusual nature." Not enough for them to hire her more than once, though. "There's enough of the business in Lepidstadt for me to get by. Alchemists wanting rare ingredients, scholars wanting rare books and artifacts, the occasional escaped experiment."

Edge
2016-07-18, 03:20 AM
"Independent alchemical research," Ariselde offers. "I've been trying to build the professor's breakthrough regarding the alchemical treatment of magical diseases. I've made small progress, here and there, but now..."

She sighs, and gazes morosely outside the window.

"Now it's going to be a... lot more difficult."

grifter730
2016-07-18, 05:47 PM
Vas looks over at the people he's stuck with, all of them squished along with him. An uncomfortable silence was about as welcome as making small talk, but the idea of being rude on the day of the professor's funeral seemed to spark something in him.

Vas clears his throat. "I play with the art of summoning. Mainly dark things from the plane of shadow, that sort of thing. Prof kept telling me not to. Probably should've listened. Anyone know the manner of the old man's death?"

Sleepy Shade
2016-07-18, 09:06 PM
@ Lani: Toby just sits quietly until the girl is finished. She reminds his strongly of some of the bardic types that would often come to the Inn long epic speeches good stories and fun times. However one sentence makes him curious "I'm going to outlive most of the countries that are currently existing.." "Why do you say that? you can't be a lich. Nope to pretty." he gives a short chuckle hoping to lighten the mood.

@Tessara: "Sounds like you've been very busy have you ever traveled out side the country?"

@Ariselde: "I see. So I'm guessing your looking into stuff like mummy curses and were-animals right? That's good all ways need more ways to take care of that stuff."

@Vas: Toby just shrugs at Vas's question "I don't know what happened I was in Vigil when I heard about his death. I came as soon as possible but besides what the message said I really don't know.Your a summoner huh so what exactly do you call from the shadow plane? I've heard of summoners calling on the demonic and angelic outsiders. But I don't think I've heard of a shadow summoner."

After his question and comments Toby leans back into his seat and looks out the window hoping to see their destination soon. Lost his thoughts he quietly asks a question to the group out loud.
"I wonder if it will be an open or closed casket?"

DyerMaker
2016-07-21, 08:05 AM
As Toby leans back in his plush seat on the coach, you hear a terrible wraith-like sound that seems to come from all around you. A command comes from the coach driver, STEP STEP!! The coach lurches forward, nearly dislodging you from your comfortable seats, as the Ustalav stallions double their speed, pulling the coach faster toward the valley of Ravengro.

Edge
2016-07-21, 08:18 AM
Ariselde is about to make a comment about the insensitivity of Toby's comment when the coach lurches violently. The alchemist swears nastily as her head is jolted against the side of the interior.

"What's going on out there?!" she shouts out to the driver.

Space Lawyer
2016-07-21, 05:40 PM
Lani

"Why do you say that? You can't be a lich; nope, too pretty."

Lani points to her eyes, the shifting shades and glittering motes showing a clearly inhuman ancestry. "I'm an aasimar. My grandmother is a lilend azata in the service of Desna. As for the age, well, I'm actually older than the professor was. With any luck, I could be tutoring his far-removed descendants."

She then winces at the discordant sound. "Should the horses be galloping like that?"

Phasm
2016-07-22, 12:52 AM
"I don't think so." Tessara braces her feet against the floor, gripping the edge of the seat with both hands. "Don't tell me we've got another necromancer on our hands out there..." She sounds more disgusted than fearful. "I swear, it's like people don't learn from the Whispering Tyrant's bad example! Our country was nearly destroyed by irresponsible necromancy, but oh no, some savant with more brains than common sense just has to try it for himself, and before you know it the countryside is infested with undead."

DyerMaker
2016-07-22, 05:02 PM
A creature in flight, cloaked in shadow with eyes of ember, the size of an adult dragon comes into view on the left side of the coach. Its eyes peering at the five of you—full of fire and evil. It turns toward the coach. SMASH! The coach fish-tails off the main road as the creature delivers an assault of blunt force. You try to maintain your balance within the coach, but this was not the ride you anticipated. The driver gains control and speeds toward Ravengro, STEP! STEP! as the shadowy shape is now visible on the right side of the coach, once again peering in at your collective.

Sleepy Shade
2016-07-22, 07:39 PM
"Ourang Medan what the seven Hells is that!" Toby curses as the carriage bucks around from the creatures attack. Sitting on the right side Toby is suddenly greeted with the eye of the creature peering in at them. "Damn monsters."
"Screw off ya chicken." he yells at the beast he swinging his fist out at the creature hopping it either blind it or scare it off for a bit.

Attack roll to hit the beast in the eye:[roll0]
Damage:[roll1]
I'm not sure if this counts as a Dirty Trick or if I need to sunder any glass the coach has to attack the beast so I'll roll those just in case.
Dirty Trick to temporary blind the monster in one eye.:[roll2]
Sundering the glass between me and the monster:[roll3]
Damage to glass:[roll4]

Phasm
2016-07-22, 10:38 PM
"Oh my gods!", Tessara yelps as she braces herself once more. She doesn't really have any magic that will be useful here. Maybe her misfortune curse, but that will only work on the monster once. Better to save it for if things get desperate. Grimly she holds on, hoping against hope that the monster is territorial and that the horses will get the coach out of its territory before it manages to catch and eat them.

DyerMaker
2016-07-23, 11:07 PM
Toby cracks the glass with his strike, but does not break through entirely. Looking outward he notices that the creature is too far away for a melee attack.

Sleepy Shade
2016-07-24, 08:39 PM
Toby;s Knee jerk reaction only succeded in cracking the glass but not much else as he looks out at the creature.The giant birds eye was close but not as close as he initially thought as the carrige bounces from the speed he turns and looks at the others.
"Any of you lot have have sort of fireballs or something you can throw at it?" He grimaces as the carriage bounces in a pothole or something. "Like now is a good time!" His voice loud with a touch of panic in it.

grifter730
2016-07-24, 09:33 PM
Of course, Vas thought, of course it has to happen on the one day he decided to care about things like social decorum. Without the power of his shadow enveloping him, Vas felt nearly powerless. Nearly, but not quite.

With a sharp curse, Vas bites down on the tip of his right thumb, drawing out the blood. In fluid quick gestures, he draws an arcane symbol on the palm of his other hand. With a flourish, he finishes the blood mark and claps his hand, shouting out the conjuration.

A raptor's shriek can be heard in the distance, and next to the flying creature, shadowy mist coalesced into the form of an eagle.

"ATTACK!" Vas commanded, pointing at the flying creature next to the eagle.

Standard action: Summon Monster I (Summoners use standard action for this ability).

The eagle (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/animals/eagle/summoned-creature-eagle) summoned uses the Shadow Creature template (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/templates/shadow-creature-cr-1) instead of the Celestial/Fiendish templates, per the fetchling summoner archetype (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/featured-races/arg-fetchling/shadow-caller-summoner-fetchling).

Eagle full attack (if any are allowed this round):

Attack (talon 1): [roll0]
Damage (talon 1): [roll1]

Attack (talon 2): [roll2]
Damage (talon 2): [roll3]

Attack (bite): [roll4]
Damage (bite): [roll5]

Eagle AC: 14
Eagle HP: 5

grifter730
2016-07-24, 09:38 PM
Trying to figure out what the creature is. Given the shadowy appearance, this would really pique Vas's curiosity, and I assume it uses Knowledge (planes).

Knowledge (planes): [roll0]

DyerMaker
2016-07-25, 02:25 PM
As Vas summons the Eagle, it occurs to him that this creature of shadow is an Umbral Dragon, a true dragon, and one of adult age. These serpentine wonders prefer the taste of undead flesh or ghostly ectoplasm, yet never turn down opportunities to consume living flesh. It's not a territorial creature but was likely sent or summoned.None of the Eagle's attacks are effective.

grifter730
2016-07-25, 09:00 PM
"It's a dragon," Vas says calmly. "We may be completely out of our depths here. This is an adult umbral dragon, a true dragon. They generally prefer the undead for a meal, though willing to eat the living as well, but it's more likely it was sent or summoned. Someone does not want us to reach the professor's funeral for some reason."

Edge
2016-07-26, 04:14 AM
"Fantastic. Absolutely bloody fantastic!" Ariselde curses, scratching slightly at her scars, the adrenaline beginning to make them itch uncomfortably. "I don't suppose any of you know magic that will kill a dragon? Or help these horses outpace a dragon?"

DyerMaker
2016-07-26, 06:48 PM
The coach continues to bounce and skid along the clay and dirt road as you are tossed about like common crackers in a bowl of chowder. The dragon takes a position above with its wings closing in on the coach at each downward thrust. Suddenly, outside of the coach, the overcast day is choked away by the smoke-like particulate of shadow. It's gaseous property occasionally allows you to see the road ahead.
Realising that you're only a kilometer from the Bridge of Whispers and the town of Ravengro, hope fills your soul and you see the potential to escape this present darkness. In this moment you are reminded of how fragile life can be and how short it is for some. Recent memories flood your minds-eye and perpetuate the frail dance between faith and fear.

The coach slides hard to the right. Then, time seems to stop for a wink as the coach becomes airborne, tilting to a 45 degree angle to the right in a roaring chorus of wood cracking and straining to its breaking point, the panicked snorts and squeals of the horses, and the baritone scream of the driver. The coach rolls, its top crushing in toward you, still enveloped in the darkness of shadow. The coach finally slows to a stop. You are all unconscious.

A couple of you take nonlethal damage: Random PCs [roll0] dmg [roll1] and [roll2] dmg [roll3]
That's Toby and Ariselde

grifter730
2016-07-26, 08:03 PM
Since we're unconscious, I'm assuming we're waiting for another DM post here?

DyerMaker
2016-07-26, 08:47 PM
You awake in the clay and silt on the bank of the Ravengro Creek. The bridge provides some shelter from the rain which continues to pour, coming down harder and harder. As you move about, you notice that you endured a few scrapes and bruises from the crash. That's when you feel the chain and shackle on your right ankle which appears to be connected to the wooden pillar of the bridge. Looking up you see a gaunt, rag-tag man sitting under the bridge. He twirls a dagger in his left hand. Wake up little bird. You'll fetch a fine price.

A pounding headache and blurred vision is your gift from the crash. You strain to make sense of your location, sitting in a cramped wooden pantry, in which you cannot stand, void of any contents. The smell of baking bread and boiling chicken fill your nostrils. A missing knot in the pine plank in front of you welcomes the glow of warm light and the clamor of pots and pans. You make out a plump white shape moving about through your weakened eyesight.

Looking up at a clear autumn sky, the wind howls in the distance. You're lying flat on your back staring up at the decaying stalks of corn that flank you, row after row. The soil is soft beneath you and the stalks thrash in the wind. The crash must have slung you some distance. Behind you the sound of crunching stalks begins to echo in your ears. It's an uneasy feeling. Should you stay still or move?

DyerMaker
2016-07-26, 09:09 PM
There's no doubt about your current location. By some circumstance of the crash you're now within the plane of shadow. However, something isn't quite right. It's hot here, extremely hot. Beads of sweat begin to drip from your forehead as moisture builds on your arms and back. There is no light here. Only pitch and silence. Then, you see them. Two red embers a few hundred meters away. Eyes of the dragon.

You gain consciousness within the crushed space of the coach. None of your companions are in sight. What happened? You feel that both your left arm and right leg are pinned within the confines of the carriage, yet you are in no pain. The rain has stopped and there is no sign of the umbral dragon. The day is still cool and overcast.

Phasm
2016-07-26, 11:24 PM
"Unnh..." Tessara returns to the land of the living with a distinct lack of pain. Which is odd, because the last thing she remembers is the coach flying through the air and landing with an almighty CRUNCH. She tries to move and discovers that the wreckage is pinning her left arm and right leg. "Oh, hells." This would have to happen while she's wearing full armor. It's going to be very difficult to get out on her own.

"HELP! IS ANYONE OUT THERE? ARISELDE, LANI, VAS... what's his name, the half-orc guy... Toby! TOBY! I'M STUCK IN THE COACH!"

Edge
2016-07-27, 03:17 AM
Ariselde lies on her back for a good few moments more, groaning quietly to herself over the bruising she received the coach and taking in her location. Then she hears the corn stalks start crunching. As quickly and quietly as she is able, she pulls herself up into a crouch and begins listening intently, straining to catch a glimpse of the source of the noise.

Going to attempt to Stealth and Perception!

Stealth: [roll0]
Perception: [roll1]

DyerMaker
2016-07-27, 01:38 PM
"HELP! IS ANYONE OUT THERE?Tessara receives no responses from her call for help. The only noise she hears is the unmistakable snort from one of the horses. At least something survived.

Space Lawyer
2016-07-27, 02:05 PM
Lani

What could this possibly be? The last thing she recalled was that dragon unleashing a dark cloud at the carriage . . .

It didn't make sense though; that shouldn't have teleported her to wherever this was. Lani peeks through the missing knot to see if she can make out any more details.

DyerMaker
2016-07-27, 02:13 PM
You move quietly, no crunching or noise that you're aware. A dark, tall, humanoid shape is approaching through the corn. You're not certain, but at first glimpse it appears to be... a scarecrow. Possibly a person, perhaps a construct. You're simply unsure.

Edge
2016-07-27, 02:19 PM
Ariselde watches the figure intently, her scars itching fiercely. The urge to drink her anti-suppression tincture is strong, a growl growing at the back of her mind as a dull ache settles in around her teeth and nails. This could be a threat, could be a danger, could be a foe...

Or it could be a hapless farmer scaring away the crows.

The alchemist grits her teeth and sits still, deciding to wait and watch.

DyerMaker
2016-07-27, 03:14 PM
As your vision clears, you notice two fairly obese, half-giant, half-human females in white clothing working in a small kitchen. They appear to be chefs. Both are hard at work, covered in sweat while preparing a small feast. Two large pie pans, with dough prepared for filling rest at a central table. One chef whistles a tune while she slices a variety of produce. The other works over the large pot of boiling chicken while tending the wood-fueled stove and oven.

grifter730
2016-07-27, 03:41 PM
Vas slowly wakes and looks around his surroundings. It can't be, but, yep, plane of shadow. Of course, why not? All those shadow creatures he's inflicted pain upon in the past, he knew there'd be a day of reckoning sooner or later, he just figured it'd be later. Much later.

And of course, the red ember eyes of the dragon. This was not going to be a pleasant way to go out. Vas thought for a moment on the best course of action. Fleeing a dragon was about as likely as fleeing your own shadow. On the other hand, laying down and dying like a sack of meat didn't fill him with enthusiasm either. May as well go down fighting.

Vas closes his eyes once more, willing his body to still itself, to be motionless and weightless as the shadow.

Vas attempts to summon his eidolon, which requires a full minute to do. If he's interrupted at any point, he'll abandon the idea and confront whatever interrupts him.

Phasm
2016-07-27, 05:31 PM
"Where is everyone?" Tessara starts squirming and struggling against the wreckage. Were the rest of the passengers and the coachman thrown free? It makes sense, she was the only one in metal armor and thus probably heavier than everyone else. "Hnnnggg... come on..."

If I can take 20 on Escape Artist, I will for a total of 17.

Sleepy Shade
2016-07-27, 08:24 PM
Toby sits up looking down at the ankle change and back to the Gaunt man. Probably some sort of slaver Toby thinks.
And who are you? were are the others? He tries to stand and using the pillar he is attached to for support. As he gets up he looks around trying to get a better sense of what sort of mess he got himself into this time.

Perception check to understand my surroundings [roll0]
I don't think my scavenger trait would apply to this situation.

DyerMaker
2016-07-27, 08:32 PM
Since you're not being opposed in this "pinned" position you may take 20.
Moving first to free your arm, you armor twist and pulls eventually scrapes though a wooden plank. You're then free to push way the remaining coach debris and free your leg.

DyerMaker
2016-07-27, 08:37 PM
The man smiles at Toby exposing his lack of teeth. Boy, ye best get back in that dirt, yonder. Dems witches manacles. You'll never be able to 'scape dem. It's obvious to Toby that he's beneath the Bridge of Whispers at the edge of Ravengro creek. There's no sign of your companions or the coach. Rain continues to hammer the countryside.

DyerMaker
2016-07-27, 08:49 PM
The figure you've been watching intently, now bursts through the remaining rows of corn. The hideous humanoid is quite tall, around 6.5ft and has a face created of patchwork skin and leather roughly sewn together with an occasional slither of burlap. It's eyes are merely yellow dots within hollowed-out sockets in its head. The creatures fingers are more like armored talons of rusty metal, long and powerful looking, like those of some demon from deep beyond. The rest of its figure is wrapped in more leather, skin and burlap with a few yellow corn leaves mixed in as though it had been sleeping or nesting in this field for ages. It moves toward you with great speed.

Phasm
2016-07-27, 11:38 PM
After much squirming, twisting and swearing, Tessara manages to free her arm from the wreckage of the coach. This must be why she had that feeling about needing armor today; had she been wearing normal clothing, her arm would likely be missing quite a bit of skin right now. With two arms available the oracle makes quick work of the wreckage pinning her leg.

Next on the list: dig out her backpack if at all possible. Since the others didn't answer her calls for help, they're likely injured. There are too many people for her to rely on her magic alone, Tessara will need her healing kit.

Edge
2016-07-28, 04:35 AM
Ariselde blanches as the thing hastens towards her, before scrambling for her anti-suppression tincture and taking a healthy sip of it. The alchemist winces slightly as her body begins to change, before shuddering slightly as it progresses, and the horrible feeling of rightness pools in her stomach. Anger begins to suffuse her thoughts as she stares at the thing, her nose and mouth lengthening into a muzzle and her nails growing and hardening into talons.

Just a refluffed way of using Change Shape to adopt the bite and claw features. If I get another round before it's on me, I'll probably pop my mutagen then.

Space Lawyer
2016-07-28, 08:54 AM
Lani

Lani steels her resolve with a few slow, deep breaths. She pushes against the door of the cabinet, and tries to quietly make her way out of the kitchen. Whatever this situation was, it couldn't be good for her.

Stealth:[roll0]

DyerMaker
2016-07-28, 04:03 PM
Scrambling about in the debris that was once a coach you're able to locate your gear.

As quiet as possible you push open the door directly in front of you. SCREEEK! The hinges make a terrible sound. You pause to see if you were heard, and now you know it. What's that, our little sprite? Tis the lass, she's ready for filling. I betcha you're right. These enormous women laugh, looking in your direction.

grifter730
2016-07-28, 05:18 PM
Posting OOC here since I'm not sure how often Dyer checks the OOC thread. Are we going in rounds? It takes 10 rounds for Vas to summon his eidolon, but I wasn't sure if you missed the post, or if we're going in rounds, and that's why there's no post for him? Just double-checking.

Sleepy Shade
2016-07-28, 05:33 PM
"Witch's manacles?" Toby lifts up his leg to get a better look at the manacles "What you get this thing on sale? looks like you got swindled"
Tobyy drops his leg and looks at the gap tooth man "So are going to sell me or kill me?" As the man talks to him Toby makes a quick check of whats on him. He had removed his armor but had it in his backpack along with his sword.

Appraise to see if I can tell if the manacles do have sort of enchantment:[roll0]
Sense motive to tell if he is lying:[roll1]
Perception check to see if any of my stuff is by the Bandit:[roll2]

Phasm
2016-07-28, 10:24 PM
"Aha!" Tessara settles her backpack on her back and weapons on her belt. She digs through the wreckage to make extra sure nobody is in there, alive or dead. If she doesn't find anyone, she walks away from the coach in a large spiral, occasionally calling out for the others and scanning places where an unconscious person might be lying. Ditches, in bushes, that sort of thing.

Taking 20 on Perception for 22, Tessara would rather move slowly than miss an unconscious person lying in a concealed spot. And with her curse she kind of has to move slowly since she can only see for 30 ft. :smalltongue: On the plus side she has darkvision for the whole 30 ft, so she does not have to stop for nightfall.

Space Lawyer
2016-07-29, 09:47 AM
Lani

Things were definitely not looking good for Lani. She had been expecting a funeral, not to be eaten! There was no way she was going to fight her way out of this, and her magic wasn't ready for this challenge. She would have to talk her way out of becoming a pie."Oh, you don't want to eat me! I wouldn't be tasty at all. I've spent most of my life eating bland food and sitting around. No good meat, just fat and crunchy bits."

Diplomacy:[roll0]

DyerMaker
2016-07-29, 12:55 PM
With your eidolon fully summoned, Vas is keenly aware that the Umbral dragon is now within striking distance. You also notice that you're only 50 meters or so from the Bridge of Whispers. As the dragon strafes side-to-side, a darker figure appears at its side with no visible features within this dimly lit dimension. The figure speaks in a low, otherworldly voice, Vasss. This path you're on, its not for you. You do realise thisss, don't you?

Moving with supernatural grace, your foe is upon you quicker than you anticipated. Extending its arm, in a blur with its palm up the creature gestures to take your hand. It speaks in a low, otherworldly voice, Arissselde. My beautiful creature. You do not belong among these mere mortalsss. Embrace the blood that so yearns to be one with you. Take my hand and become more powerful than you ever imagined.

The manacles appear to be normal, a single shackle around your leg, welded to a fairly hefty chain that is tied and locked to the bridge support. Your gear is nowhere in sight. When you address the man. He responds, Eat ye. (laughs aloud) Why, h.ell na. I'ma gonna sell ye to dat dark knight. Just after the response, you hear what sounds like a female voice. It's muffled, but the voice is yelling out your name and those of your companions. You see no sign of the origin of the call.

Edge
2016-07-29, 01:24 PM
Ariselde stares at the creature with her own now-animalistic eyes. Her newly taloned fingers begin inching up to take its hand, before she remembers herself and yanks her hand back.

"What are you?" she growls, eyes narrowing and lips pulling back in a snarl.

Knowledge (arcana) and Knowledge (nature) on the off-chance Ariselde will recognise what this thing is.
Arcana: [roll0]
Nature: [roll1]

And Sense Motive on the even smaller chance she can tell what this thing is actually angling for.
[roll2]

Sleepy Shade
2016-07-29, 03:04 PM
Crud Toby thought she was probably really far away no telling how long it would take for her to get here. And the cutter that had him right now probably wasn't going to tolerate any calls for help though... &%$# it.
He quickly put his fingers to his mouth and gave the loudest whistle he could.The man was either going to attack him to keep him quite or ...well he didn't really know he just needed some help and he was pretty sure if he was attacked he could beat him if he came too close.

Not sure if this is appropriate but a perform check to make the whistle as loud as possible.
[roll0]

DyerMaker
2016-07-29, 04:45 PM
Gathering your gear, you notice that one of the Ustalav white stallions is still alive. The other is crushed beneath the coach. There is no sign of the driver nor your friends. Using your spiral search method, you eventually make your way near the Ravengro Creek and at the base of the bridge. It is hear that you see what you believe to be an apparition, the faint outline of a ghost resembling Toby.

Oh, my pixie, but we must, we must. Yes, we must. As the chef approaches you, sweat drips from her arms and covers her face is a glossy sheen. She extends her hand. Now, come little one. Take my hand. I'll help you onto the table.

Phasm
2016-07-29, 06:20 PM
Poor horse. At least one of them is alive. Tessara cuts the remaining horse free with her dagger; the gods only know how long it will take her to find the others, carriage horses aren't always trained to bear a rider, and she isn't good enough to ride bareback anyway. If someone is too injured to walk, she'll rig up a litter from branches or wreckage and her blanket. This way at least the horse can go find something to eat and drink.

Eventually she makes her way to the Ravengro Creek bridge. "What's that?" It looks like a ghost, but... "Toby? Is that you?" Tessara breaks into a run. "Toby! Can you hear me?"

grifter730
2016-07-29, 08:29 PM
Vas finishes his summoning, enveloped in a cocoon of the hateful shadow creature. He wasn't surprised to find the umbral dragon near him, though it was no less threatening.

"Vasss. This path you're on, its not for you. You do realise thisss, don't you?"

Vas contemplates his answer, caught between caution to preserve his life, and contempt since in all likelihood his life in the presence of an adult dragon is forfeit anyway. "What path would that be?" Vas inquires calmly, respectfully, but as devoid of emotion as he possibly could. "And do you happen to know what happened to my companions?"

Perception check: [roll0]

DyerMaker
2016-07-30, 01:25 PM
Everything in your method of recall tells you that this figure is some type of construct; perhaps a flesh golem of sorts, maybe something else. I am. That I am. Your keeper. Your true mentor. Take my hand. Join me.

You attempt to whistle, but fail to produce any noise whatsoever. The voice you heard before sounds a bit like Tessara, but you're unsure. You haven't known her for very long. Then you see what appears to be a partial apparition. The voice get's louder and is calling your name. The apparition is that of a female in armor, but it is somewhat blurry.

Making your way below the bridge you're now convinced that the unmoving ghostly figure before is that of Toby. He appears to be void of emotion, lingering between this plane and another.

The figure leaves the dragon's side, its featureless, humanoid form moving slowly. Vasss. Of all those with your giftsss, you're the last I expected to play gamesss. You have no time for these people, these non-companionsss.

Edge
2016-07-30, 03:49 PM
"Why?" the alchemist growls. "Why should I? I want to be rid of this, not embrace it!"

And yet, her hand inches back towards the creature's, her blood pounding in her ears.

Sleepy Shade
2016-07-30, 05:00 PM
Crap he always had trouble whistling or maybe it was something else Toby thought.
Seeing the specter of the woman he decides it worth a shot he calls out to her.
"HELP! Some gap tooth Cutter gonna try an sell me!" Toby looks over to the man pretty sure he is not gonna let Toby go so easy.
He then picks a handful of mud and tries throwing it near the woman hoping to get her attention if she can't hear him.

grifter730
2016-07-30, 08:40 PM
Vas examines the humanoid figure. "I'm not one for riddles. Why am I the last you'd expect to play games? What games would that be? Who are you? What do you know about me?"

Knowledge (Planes) on the figure: [roll0]

Phasm
2016-07-30, 11:38 PM
"Toby? What happened to you?" Tessara attempts to grab his hand, furiously cudgeling her brain for any clue as to what's going on here.

Hmm... maybe a Religion check if this involves outsiders? I know, I'm grasping at straws here. Let me know if it's applicable and I'll roll in the OOC thread.

DyerMaker
2016-07-31, 12:08 PM
My beautiful Ariselde. Search your heart. What is the greater pain? This mortal life or one of fulfillment and joy for an eternity? I accept you in whole and extend this offer only once more. The creature steps forward 5ft., extending his hand further to reach yours, stopping within millimeters of your claws.

Looking over your shoulder, the gaunt man rises, twirling his knife. Let's go boy. Dat Knight is a com'n. As you attempt to throw mud at the apparition, it reaches for you. Tessara, you're able grab toby by the arm. CRACK! ZING! Lighting strikes from the sky to the point at which you grab Toby's arm, both horizontal and vertical, but neither of you are electrocuted. There is now a sliver, an opening between the material plane and the dimension in which Toby is held. You can see each other plainly. The rain pours hard on Toby's side but is clear on yours. Tessara, you see a gaunt man running from under the bridge toward Toby, his knife raised. His face curled in anger.

Edge
2016-07-31, 01:15 PM
Ariselde looks up at the creature, her entire body itching, her heart pounding, her blood burning in her veins. The alchemist is wracked with indecision. In that moment, she knows she shouldn't have changed her shape. It only proved the creature right. The first sign of possible trouble, and she'd let the beast show.

She grits her teeth and takes the creature's hand.

DyerMaker
2016-07-31, 05:04 PM
The creature takes your hand in a gentle manner, pulling your hand toward itself and bending its head down as if to kiss your hand. Ariselde. Welcome my love. Instead, he blows a wisp of shadow-like material envelopes your hand and is absorbed through your skin. The creature disappears. You find yourself in the same corn field, yet something is different. The wind blows differently, the sky seems brighter. Then, you feel your blood begin to boil. Your back arches as every limb in your body is racked by pain. You head begins to ache to the limit that you feel as though your brain might explode. You collapse. Unconscious.

Vasss, you are confident in yourself. You ask, Who am I? I am that I am. No force in this universe can challenge my reign. You know that being in Ravengro is a mere distraction for you. You belong at my side, in a position of power, a partner to conquer with, a general or generals. This offer is only extended once. Say yes! See your dreams and desires become manifest.

grifter730
2016-07-31, 08:25 PM
"That's a mighty tempting offer, and one that's hard to turn down with a dragon standing right next to you. What say you get rid of the dragon, so I can think clearly without shaking at the knees? You want me to accept the offer fairly, right? Gotta be able to think clearly for that."

Vas is subtly looking around the area to see if there's any place he can run to and hide.

Sleepy Shade
2016-07-31, 09:45 PM
As the man came running towards Toby with the knife Toby looked down at the strange split in the air "What the Nine Hells?" Looking back at the Toothless cutter Toby stepped as far as he could over to Terrassa's side. He worried however about the manacle if it didn't extend far enough he was either going to be stuck with that crazy cutter or have his foot sheared off by magic he really couldn't decide which was worse.

DyerMaker
2016-07-31, 10:33 PM
As Toby reaches through, the manacles loosens. Within a split second of Toby returning to the material plane and falling prone in front of Tessara, the tear between the planes seals in a CRACK and SIZZLE of electricity.

The figure chuckles in that low, otherworldly voice. Vasss, this offer has reached is end. If you attend the funeral of your beloved professor. I will kill you. Before you can respond a space opens beneath you and you begin to fall; free falling toward the Bridge of Whispers. Ultimately you land in the Ravengro Creek. Fall damage [roll0].

Phasm
2016-07-31, 10:46 PM
"Oof!" Tessara stumbles back as Toby faceplants in front of her. "Thank the gods that's over, I was afraid I'd have to do something drastic." She reaches down to help him up. "Are you all right? You're the first other person I've been able to find. I woke up alone in the wreckage of the coach and I've been searching for the rest of you ever since."

No, Tessara doesn't actually worship Nyarlethotep. She is perfectly fine with exploiting her appearance and connection with the Dark Tapestry for Intimidate purposes, though.

Intimidate check to demoralize the enemy as a swift action (Omen trait): [roll0]

I feel stupid now, how did I not see Dyer's post before I posted this? :smalltongue:

Space Lawyer
2016-08-01, 07:16 AM
Lani

Well, there was nothing for it. Lani looks for a door or window and makes a run for it, top speed!

grifter730
2016-08-01, 06:11 PM
"Urggh..." Vas clutches his side, taking a hit from the plunge from the vast plane of shadow. Looking around his new surroundings, it's obvious that he'd landed in the Ravengro Creek.

Perception: [roll0]
Edit: ooooh, natural 20!

Sleepy Shade
2016-08-02, 07:03 PM
Before responding Toby takes a look at his leg. He had felt the manacle release him but he couldn't think of reason for it to do so. After making sure he hadn't left some part of himself in another dimension he looks up at Terresa with a bit of a smirk at the corner of his mouth.
"It was lucky for you to come along when you did that crazed cutter was going to sell me to some black knight or something." He pauses however his thoughts going over what had happened. "Why were you all ghostly? and where did the rain go?" Toby looks up at the sky but despite his best efforts he doesn't see any rain clouds. Deciding for now he'll focus on the task at hand he gets up. "I'm not sure where the others at when I came to that slaver had already got me." he looks back at space beneath the bridge and gives a small shudder. "We better get going no telling what happened to everyone else. Can you also show me the way back to the carriage I've seem to have lost my backpack It had a lot of my stuff. "

Toby will quickly go back to the carriage get any of his stuff he can see and regroup with Terresa helping her to find the others.

DyerMaker
2016-08-03, 07:34 PM
You awake some time later in human form, still in the cornfield. The wind is brisk and slightly cool after the rain. Your head is pounding. The pain centered on the front of your head. You feel sore at every joint. Yet, something is different. You're not the same. You feel slightly stronger, more alert, and...well...different.

Running and dodging the table legs and chairs, you dart between the legs of the sweaty cook and speed through the door. You enter a long, dark hallway. MY PIXIE! the chef screams out as she chases you down the hallway with a cleaver held high.

With a splash Vas lands in the Ravengro creek from out of nowhere. Toby and Tessara are startled by the splash at first, as the fish in this area don't grow to a size to equal such a noise. Seeing Vas surface, your eyes meet immediately. Three down, two to go.

grifter730
2016-08-03, 10:19 PM
Vas sees his companions, or at least a couple of them anyway. He was on his way there when he realized he looks like a creature from the plane of shadows due to his eidolon. "It's me, Vas." He calls from a distance, hoping they don't immediately attack him.

Phasm
2016-08-04, 12:52 AM
"I think you were on another plane, Toby, but how and why, I have no- what was that?" Tessara spins around at the sudden splash. Her hand goes to her morningstar, but she relaxes at the sound of Vas' voice. "Vas? What happened to you?"

Edge
2016-08-04, 03:12 AM
Ariselde blinks her eyes open slowly, the lids heavy with the pain pounding in her head. The alchemist slowly rises, her joints protesting her every move. She could feel the new strength in her limbs, feel how the entire world seemed sharper to her. Curious. This would definitely require a thorough analysis when she could. For now, though, she ought to try and find her way back to the carriage. Ariselde raises her head over the corn stalks and scans her eyes around, looking for any sign of the direction she might have been flung from.

Perception: [roll0]

DyerMaker
2016-08-04, 12:19 PM
Some distance away, perhaps 200 meters on a downhill slope from the field. You spot the Bridge of Whispers. Muffled voices can be heard coming from that direction.

Edge
2016-08-04, 01:00 PM
How had she ended up here, Ariselde wondered. Before the crash, they had been nearly a kilometer away from the bridge. This was quite the journey to have made while unconscious. The alchemist shakes her head. She can worry about that later. She had bigger concerns to worry about, like what exactly she had agreed to with that entity before, and where it had vanished to...

But still, she had to reconvene with the others, and the bridge seemed like a good place to start her search. Her course decided, she sets off, doing her best to keep out of sight and her eyes peeled in case the voices at the bridge weren't friendly.

Stealth: [roll0]
Perception: [roll1]

Sleepy Shade
2016-08-04, 04:37 PM
as Toby listened to Tessara explanation when suddenly a huge splash from the river drove all those questions from his mind. He scrambled to his feet tired of all the wild stuff that had happened to him to day ready to fight. However the only thing he saw was Vas sopping wet from being dunked in the river "It's me, Vas"
"I can see that. What in Ourang Medan happened to you? You plummeted out the sky!" Toby gives a sigh exhausted at all the strange happenings today. "So Vas did you seen anyone else while you where up there?"

grifter730
2016-08-04, 05:22 PM
"Urrghh..." Vas was still catching his breath after that strange encounter. "I'm not sure what the hells happened, but I got sucked into the plane of shadow, there was no mistaking it. The dragon that attacked us was there too... I'm not sure what happened. Thought I was gonna die, but just got sent back here instead. Not sure which fate was worse. I kid, I kid."

Vas plomps down on the ground and closes his eyes. "Didn't see anyone else while I was there. What happened to everyone else?"

Phasm
2016-08-05, 12:13 AM
Tessara shrugs. "I woke up alone in the wreckage of the coach. Fortunately I was able to free myself, but it took quite a bit of doing. I set out to find you all, thinking you had been thrown free by the force of impact, and found Toby on what appeared to be another plane. He looked almost like a ghost, but when I tried touching him a rift opened up and deposited him back on the Material with me." She sighs, her veil fluttering. "Have either of you seen Ariselde, Lani or the coachman?"

DyerMaker
2016-08-06, 01:18 PM
Ariselde moves stealthily toward the Bridge of Whispers. You see what is left of the coach as it crashed. The dead stallion beneath its wooden planks. From this vantage you can see Tessara and Toby speaking with what looks like a Shade.

Continuing to run from the chef, the hallway seems to go on forever until you reach the enormous door at the hall's end. At this same moment, the door opens. Standing before you is another half-giant, this one clad in pitch black armor with eyes that burn red-hot like embers. The knight reaches down in an attempt to grab you.

Edge
2016-08-06, 01:50 PM
Ariselde quirks an eye at the sight of the shade, but Toby and (more importantly) Tess seem nonaggressive towards it. The alchemist extricates herself from her hiding spot and approaches the others, dusting herself down.

"Oh, there you are! I beginning to wonder if I was the only survivor!"

Sleepy Shade
2016-08-07, 07:13 AM
"Not sure where anyone else is I was going to go back to the carriage and find my stuff. But it shouldn't take much longer to find everybody at this rate. Especially if they keep finding us"Toby stands up wiping the grime and mud from his hands on to his pants.
"Oh, there you are! I beginning to wonder if I was the only survivor!"
"Well that was convenient. Hey Asri..." he racks his mind for a moment trying to remember her name "Asridell?"

Edge
2016-08-07, 07:58 AM
"Ariselde," she snaps at Toby, barely suppressing a snarl. The alchemist blinks. That was unlike her. She throws a worried glance at Tess before returning her attention to Toby. "Sorry. That was uncalled for. I suppose I'm just a little on edge."

She walks over to Tess, massaging her temples, before whispering to the oracle under her breath.

"I think I need to take some of my tincture... can you keep their attention, so they don't ask questions?"

Space Lawyer
2016-08-07, 09:35 AM
Lani

Lani runs the other way, looking for a way out! She mumbles a spell, placing the image of a wall behind her when unobserved. Maybe that will at least confuse her pursuers long enough for her to escape.

DyerMaker
2016-08-07, 11:16 AM
Lani
Lani runs the other way, looking for a way out!Just as you turn, you notice a crack within the wooden walls. It would be a squeeze, but it looks promising. Heading for this breach, you easily dart through and then fall into nothing. Your heart pounds as you fall further and further into the bottomless abyss. You lose consciousness for an unknown amount of time only to awake before splashing into the Ravengro Creek near the Bridge of Whispers.[roll0]

Phasm
2016-08-08, 12:42 AM
"Ari! Oh, I'm so glad you're safe!" Tessara pulls the alchemist into a careful hug. "Of course, take your time." The last thing they need is Ariselde getting overwrought without her medication.

She turns back to Toby and Vas and claps her hands together. "All right, that's everyone except Lani and the coachman. Let's spread out and try to find them."

Edge
2016-08-08, 03:06 AM
"Thank you, my dear," Ariselde whispers, hugging the oracle back. "Tess in right. We should filter out slightly, see if we can find our two missing people and meet back here in... I don't know, fifteen minutes at most?"

Space Lawyer
2016-08-08, 06:56 AM
Lani

"Uuuuggggggggghhhhhh..." Lani lets out a long groan. She picks herself up, tenderly avoiding the scrapes and bruises. This was unusual in the extreme. As best she could tell, she'd somehow been teleported to an alternate plane, one that she hadn't much cared for. From the looks of things though, she has made it back. And, it would also appear, she has luckily made it back to her companions! She walks her bedraggled self to them.

"What was that?!? Did everyone get planeshifted?" As she stands there, she casts a mending on her clothing, to fix the damage from falling in the creek.

DyerMaker
2016-08-08, 10:02 PM
Exiting the creek, Lani notices a body floating under the bridge wedged between two of the support columns. It is the coach driver.

grifter730
2016-08-09, 03:25 AM
"Indeed. I went to the plane of shadow." Vas spreads his arms out, as if it explained his condition. "Where did all of you go to?"

Edge
2016-08-09, 03:48 AM
"A cornfield a a few hundred yards or so in that direction," Ariselde says. And now they're all here, or their locations know. She can't wander off now. Her scars itch terribly. "Excuse me, I just need to take something for my... nerves."

Ariselde retrieves a vial from her bandolier, taking a small sip from it, before shivering as the tincture works on her body's chemistry.

Bluff check, because this is a blatant lie: [roll0]

Space Lawyer
2016-08-09, 07:27 AM
Lani

"I was being chased by half-giants who wanted to eat me, in a pie of all things."

Lani points to the floater. "We seem to have a corpse on our hands. Perhaps we should go retrieve him, or at least inform the townsfolk."

Sleepy Shade
2016-08-09, 04:23 PM
Toby is a bit taken back at how quick and forceful Ariselde but brushes it off. He had a habit of forgetting names and people hated it when he got their names wrong.
Her medication seemed off however. Lani's entrance thankfully gave him something else to consider for the time being.

"I don't know where I was. It was almost exactly the same but raining. I was shackled to the bridge by some slaver cutter. He was keen on selling me to some black knight or whatever. Then Tessara comes in like a ghost and suddenly I'm here." He shrugs every bit as confused as the others.
"We seem to have a corpse on our hands. Perhaps we should go retrieve him, or at least inform the townsfolk."
Toby shivers at the thought of touching the corpse. "Well we can't leave him here. Aren't there all sorts of spooks that come from rivers and improper burials? We should at least get him back on to the bank be fore leaving."

Sense motive notice something isn't right with Ariselde
Sense motive [roll0]

grifter730
2016-08-09, 07:20 PM
"Dead's dead. Burying him ain't gonna make a difference to the dead. He'll give the fishes something to chew on. Maybe. I'd rather not end up as food myself, a pie or otherwise. We still got a funeral to attend."

DyerMaker
2016-08-09, 11:01 PM
Your hunch is that Ariselde isn't truly taking medication for nerves. Something's up.

You hear a horse and rider approaching from the other side of the river. A man, dressed in common clothes, rides his horse across the bridge toward your gathering.

Phasm
2016-08-10, 12:09 AM
"Lani! Oh good, we're all safe now. Except for the coach driver, poor fellow." Tessara is about to scold Vas for his callousness when she hears a rider approach. She waves, walking out to the road to meet him.

Edge
2016-08-10, 03:40 PM
Ariselde takes a deep breath and continues to shiver as her elixir takes effect, closing her eyes and relishing the feeling of her body returning to calm... or attempting to. Unlike past applications, something feels... wrong. A small, itching discomfort somewhere, impossible to pin down. Panic begins to blossom in Ariselde's gut, when the sound of the approaching rider makes her start, her eyes flashing open.

"Wha-"

grifter730
2016-08-10, 08:43 PM
Vas groans as he spots the rider approaching. He walks to the end of the bridge to await the rider. This day was tiresome already, and there's still a funeral to attend. His prospect of a nice quiet evening was quickly dissipating.

DyerMaker
2016-08-10, 09:42 PM
The rider raises his hand in a welcoming manner with a slight wave and a tip of his hat. He pulls his steed to a stop at the end of the bridge. His eyes squint as he surveys the scene. Leaning forward in his saddle; Well, folks, my name's Lukas, are any of you injured?

Sleepy Shade
2016-08-11, 12:01 AM
"I'm not hurt but I think were all pretty rattled after that dragon attacked us."Toby walks over to Tessara. He gives a glance at Ariselde
"Hey Tess can you point me over to the carriage I need to look for my stuff I'll be back in a second."
If Tessara gives him directions he walks a away and walks over to Lukas "I'll be back in a second I just need to grab something"

Phasm
2016-08-11, 02:06 AM
"Hello, Lukas. I'm Tessara, and this is Ariselde, Lani, Vas, and Toby." Tessara indicates each person in turn. "Thank you for your concern; I take it you're from Ravengro? I'm just a bit bruised, I'll be fine with a good night's sleep. Can't speak for anyone else though."

Space Lawyer
2016-08-11, 06:52 AM
Lani

"I have a few bumps and scrapes," Lani offers "but our driver didn't make it." She looks at Toby, going to rummage through the carriage wreckage. "I believe Toby has the right idea. These lands seem much more dangerous than I had first guessed, I'd like to not be caught unarmed again."

DyerMaker
2016-08-12, 07:08 PM
Lukas acknowledges Toby's exit as he sits back in the saddle with a puzzled look on his face. Dragon! Wow. I've lived in Ravengro for all of my 26 years and I've never seen a dragon so much as fly over. Lukas pauses for a moment. Sorry to hear about Tasker. He was a friendly person; somewhat new to town. Ms. Kendra sent me to find you all and since you're not injured, I'll go back and fetch a few men and another coach. Looks like we're burying more people here all the time. He grabs the reigns and pulls his horse back toward Ravengro.

Sleepy Shade
2016-08-12, 09:24 PM
Toby walks away from the group over towards the wagon. He thinks about what he saw in that other realm. The rain, the bridge and that slaver cutter and what he said. "I'ma gonna sell ye to dat dark knight" Dark knight eh thought it seemed seemed familiar their were lots of legends about rogue knights or paladins falling into darkness and madness. Was he talking about some servant of the dark powers that ruled this land long ago? He knew they were the cause of infestation of undead in the country but not much more than that. He racked his brain thinking about all those bard songs and tales from the inn surely he could remember something about this.

Knowledge (Local)[roll0]

DyerMaker
2016-08-13, 11:13 AM
You recall one legend of an Ustalav prince who, as a paladin, led his father's troops into a battle against the army of archdevil Belial. The prince lost the battle and was turned by Belial into a dark warrior, The Black Knight of Selvig. This legend dates back 800 years.

Space Lawyer
2016-08-13, 08:03 PM
Lani

". . . Well, I guess we'll just leave it up to the townsfolk to bury the poor man." Lani holds her holy symbol, mutters a prayer for the protection of travelers, and another to hasten journey of the departed to his place of rest. She more properly equips herself, and heads into town.

Phasm
2016-08-14, 01:25 AM
Tessara bows her head for a moment, silently reciting a prayer to Desna asking her to guide the man's soul safely to the Boneyard. When finished she nods to Lani. "The townsfolk will have shovels, which we do not, and doubtless a proper graveyard as well." Once everyone has collected their gear, she joins the group heading toward Ravengro.

DyerMaker
2016-08-14, 09:43 AM
Lukas returns with a bench wagon and three townsfolk on horseback. Trailing behind them is a smaller, covered wagon which pulls to the edge of the creek, opposite your current position. As Lukas approaches he gives the same welcoming wave as he did before. A half-elf rides beside the bench wagon on a roan horse.
Lukas halts the wagon, Gather your things, we are going to meet lady Kendra at the cemetery.

The bench wagon has a long bench where the driver sits, but long benches attached to the short walls of the wagon itself. Also, Lani recognises the half-elf riding beside Lukas as the newest professor at Lepidstadt, renowned surgeon and professor of medicine, Dr. Stone Krupa.

Sleepy Shade
2016-08-14, 03:22 PM
At the wreck of the wagon Toby walked around it once marveling at the carnage and wondering how they all survived that.looking for the a way inside he finds a door half ripped off lookinging down into the cabin.
He climbs up the side looking down into the cabin and sees the impact of the force had completely destroyed a corner of the cabin opening it to the silt and water from the river. Toby hops down into the cabin and begins looking for his stuff.
At first it seems there is nothing left most of the cabin is over turned and destroyed. Then he finally spies his backpack and sword lodged under a wooden seat pinned to the river bed. He moves the hunk of destroyed wood and hears the whole cabin creak and groan looks like the cabin didn't have much longer.
He tries to pick The backpack up but finds it caught on something. Probably some hunk of wood caught on the straps he thinks. He reaches his hand around trying to feel feel what has caught it when he feels something grab his arm.
---
I was sitting on the dock at night when it happened. The winter rains had engorged the river but it was a relatively calm day while the river raged below I had taken to star gazing into the sky. When I heard a voice calling to me. It spoke in a language I didn't know but filled me with joy all the same. I got up and in my bedazzled state. Walked off the bridge into the churning raging water beneath me. But I didn't struggle the voice grew louder soothing me until....
----
Toby jerks back his arm feeling ice cold. Some sort of spirit? He didn't take any chances. He draws his sword from the pack wet but in good condition. He slides his sword underneath his pack and feels it his something. He pushes on it while tugging on the bag. He hears a crack like bones breaking and the bag finally is released. He looks it over quickly for any damages and sees two decayed fingers curled around a strap. He just looks looks at them for a second trying to process it. He then frantically starts smacking the decrepit rotting fingers from his bag trying to get them off.
He turns and scrambles out of the decaying cabin scraping himself on some jagged wood and splinters. He finally gets out and crashes face first into the river bed. The blow finally shakes him out of his fear. He gets up and d starts walking back to the others on the wind he hears a faint whisper. Toby turns around looking back at the carriage and hurries back over to the others slightly paler.
As Lukas rides up with the wagon he climbs in once Lukas finishes speaking.

Space Lawyer
2016-08-15, 06:54 AM
Lani

Lani puts her things on the the wagon and climbs on, taking a seat on the side next to the half-elf. "Hello, Dr. Krupa. Are you here for the funeral?"

Edge
2016-08-15, 10:41 AM
Ariselde remains silent when Lukas first arrives. After her little outburst at Toby, she doesn't trust herself quite yet. She shakes her head when he asks about injuries, and simply nods when he says he'll fetch another coach. Whilst they wait, Ariselde goes to retrieve her alchemy equipment from the coach, stretching her arms in order to get her mixture flowing through her whole body on the way.

"... a pity about the coach driver," she says quietly. "He seemed quite agreeable."

Once the wagon arrives, the alchemist clambers onto one of the benches, making sure to leave a space for Tess.

DyerMaker
2016-08-15, 03:32 PM
Lani"Hello, Dr. Krupa. Are you here for the funeral?"Dr. Krupa nods and smiles when he sees you. Why Lani, I had no idea you were among this group. I mean, I suppose it's logical, I... I... I would expect you to attend the funeral, but, well, I'm glad to see that you are well and unharmed. And, yes... yes... of course, I'll be here for the ceremony too.

grifter730
2016-08-15, 09:04 PM
Vas watched it all with silent scrutiny. The arrival of Lukas, which preceded the arrival of the new coach, and the new driver who sits next to another man. Lani referred to him as Dr. Krupa, presumably someone from the University. Seemed a tad suspicious, but Vas stays silent, and enters the coach.

DyerMaker
2016-08-15, 09:08 PM
As Vas and Tess prepare to board the wagon, you notice the townsfolk gathering the driver out of the water and placing him into the covered wagon. We best get movin', Lukas mentions.

Phasm
2016-08-16, 01:05 AM
Tessara nods politely to Dr. Krupa and climbs aboard the wagon. It's a bit awkward with her armor, but she manages and claims the seat next to Ariselde. Leaning over, she whispers to her friend, "Are you feeling all right now?"

Edge
2016-08-16, 02:50 AM
Ariselde pauses before answering, scratching her scars idly. Did she actually feel better?

"Yes, I do. Thank you, Tess," the alchemist whispers, a small smile on her lips.

Another Bluff check, because even I as a player don't really know if Ariselde's feeling 'better' suppressing her beast side, what with these new strength and senses.
Bluff: [roll0]

DyerMaker
2016-08-16, 05:09 PM
Lukas leads the wagon across the Bridge of Whispers and toward Ravengro as Dr. Krupa follows close behind on horseback. When you reach the other side of Ravengro Creek, the other townsfolk have gathered Tasker into the covered wagon and are preparing to pull in behind you. You enter a small yet clean wooded area. We'll be going to the Restlands to meet Miss Kendra.

After a few hundred meters, the road divides. A simple wooden sign stands in the crossing. It points left to Ravengro with the right-hand sign reading "Restlands". The wagon holding Tasker and the other townsfolk take the left to Ravengro. A slight chill returns to the air after the rain. Taking the road toward the Restlands, you pass a young boy near the age of ten dressed in common clothing. His ginger hair presses against the breeze, swinging a stick as he walks he does not acknowledge the wagon or Lukas or any of you. Just ahead you see the stone wall and arching entrance to the Restlands. Kendra, dressed in black, stands beside another wagon holding the coffin of professor Lorrimor. A few other townsfolk gather nearby as well. Lukas stops the wagon in close proximity to the entrance. Dr. Krupa does the same with his horse, then dismounts.

grifter730
2016-08-16, 08:14 PM
Vas continues taking in the scenery, feeling somber after the recent encounter. The surroundings wasn't helping his mood: a commoner boy seemingly dead to the world, funereal dressed folks, and a chilly rainy weather. Exiting the carriage, Vas approaches what he presumes is professor Lorrimor's coffin, and Kendra, who's standing next to it. He nods to her as a way of greeting.

Phasm
2016-08-17, 01:18 AM
Tessara hops out of the wagon with a jingle of armor. Now that she's here, she feels rather underdressed. Professor Lorrimor would understand though, he is- was- a practical man. At least her hat and veil are black. The oracle waits for Ariselde to exit the wagon before moving on; she wants her friend nearby for this.

Space Lawyer
2016-08-17, 07:01 AM
Lani

Lani climbs down from the wagon and goes to stand by Kendra. The lifespans of humans always struck Lani as so sadly short. The young man that she had fought alongside in what was little more than a tavern brawl was in a coffin, his daughter whose birth Lani had been present for was a grown woman, and Lani was still much the same.

"Kendra, I'm so sorry this happened. Your father will be sorely missed by everyone. He was not only brilliant, but a good man as well."

Edge
2016-08-17, 09:47 AM
The tenor of the mood hanging over Ravengro does little to improve Ariselde's mood and the sight of Kendra, standing next to Professor Lorrimor's coffin in her mourning garb actively makes it worse. The alchemist clambers out of the wagon with a shiver, stopping next to Tess. On impulse, she takes the oracle's hand and gives it a quick squeeze - probably harder than necessary. That new strength will take some getting used to.

Sleepy Shade
2016-08-17, 07:31 PM
Toby is the last out of the wagon still shaken by everything he had seen. He takes a couple of deep breaths and steps off the wagon He follows the others keeping his hood up. He looks at all the people gathered here and thinks to himself. The professor sure changed a lot of peoples lives it's disappointing I didn't get to meet him again before this happened. He keeps silent letting the ambiance of the graveyard wash over him. Hearing some people crying, others talking about the happy memories. While he neither knew the professor very well nor was he taught by him Toby still feels the sorrow that permeates the Restlands.
He follows the others and is curious when they stop to comfort a woman. From Lani's talk he guessed this was the Lorrimor's daughter. He felt like he should say something but all he could manage was "Iam sorry for your loss"

Phasm
2016-08-18, 02:15 AM
Ariselde's grip on her hand is noticeably stronger than usual; is her medication losing effectiveness? Or is it simply the stress of the day's events? Tessara devoutly hopes it's the latter. She squeezes back, then releases the alchemist's hand and starts walking toward Kendra.

"Hello, Kendra. I imagine you've heard this quite a bit lately, but I am truly sorry for your father's loss. He... there are very few people in this world who accept me for what I am, and he was one of them." Her voice chokes up for a moment. "Should you ever need magical healing or anything else I can do, know that Tessara Erevel will answer the call." A rash promise, perhaps, but she can do no less for her mentor's daughter.

DyerMaker
2016-08-18, 07:13 PM
Kendra acknowledges Vas. She reaches out to Vas with her right hand, clasping her left over his with a slight press as one might embrace an acquaintance of old. Kendra then turns to Lani, giving her a gentle hug and holding back her tears for a few words, Lani, thanks so much for being here today.

Kendra waves somberly toward Tessara and Ariselde, Hi Ladies. And thank you Tessara for your offer and kind words. She replies to Toby with a gentle, Thank you. Lukas walks over and gives Kendra a comforting sideways hug, whispering something through her veil. The lady gives Lukas a forced smile.

Thank you all for your journey here. I'm humbled by your presence and sorry to hear about the attack on your coach. Father would be so proud of you all.

Dr. Krupa makes his way to Kendra's side as you are introduced to the other townsfolk. First, Jominda Fallenbridge, Ravengro's apothecary and someone known to you as one of the professor's dearest friends. Jominda is a natural-looking (human) woman with bold, brown eyes, and raven-colored hair that is currently adorned with small white and yellow flowers. Next, Councilman Vashian Hearthmount. Vashian (human man) is one of four members of the Ravengro Council. He is a former soldier and still has that posture of discipline and authority about him. Then, there is Councilman Gharen Muricar (human man). Gharen is tall, in his late 60's, with white, wavy hair, squinting eyes and a no-nonsense attitude. Lukas finally introduces tavernkeeper Zokar Elkarid and his 13-year-old son, Pevrin. Zokar (human man) is about 5ft 4inches tall with a plumb belly and a distinct handlebar mustache. He is mostly bald and has a passionate personality. Pevrin is a typical teen with shoulder-length brown hair who's a bit obsessed with his silver dagger at the moment.

Lukas speaks, Well, I'll help take up the professor's pall and carry him onward. I think four of us can do the job. Who will help me?

grifter730
2016-08-19, 12:00 AM
"I'll help," Vas declares. He walks up to Lukas and stands next to him.

Phasm
2016-08-19, 01:38 AM
"I will." Tessara steps forward, her gaze daring any of the men to argue about it. She doesn't think they will, both because doing so would be disrespectful at a funeral and because she's the one in scale armor.

Edge
2016-08-19, 03:12 AM
"I... I will help as well," Ariselde says, stepping forward to take a position opposite Tess around the pall.

DyerMaker
2016-08-19, 09:17 AM
The overcast day continues to block the sun as a gentle breeze teases the sparse branches of the Restlands. Lukas moves toward the back of the wagon, Tessara, please join me on this side (as he moves to the left side of the wagon) Vas and Ariselde, you two take the right. Lukas reaches toward the handle of the coffin. The coffin itself is traditional with six-sides, made of polished cedar. A heavy, cotton flag of the University of Lepidstadt covers the coffin, which is topped with a wreath of honeysuckle, one of the professor's favorite plants.

Grasping the coffin and sliding it off of the wagon creates a distinct rasping sound as the wood of the wagon creates friction with the coffin. Kendra leads the procession by grasping Lani's hand in hers. Dr. Krupa walks to the left of Kendra. The pallbearers with coffin follow close behind, then Toby and the townsfolk. As is customary before entering the Restlands, each individual makes a spiral motion over their heart to signify respect for the dead. Lukas remarks that, Father Grimburrow will meet us graveside.

Sleepy Shade
2016-08-19, 01:29 PM
At the introductions Toby gives a small "Hello good to meetcha" to each of the towns folk.
When Lukas speaks about carrying the coffin Toby takes a step back. While he had known the professor he didn't feel that he would be appropriate to carry his body. The bearers where mostly friends and family neither of which Toby counted himself among.
As they near the grave sight Toby notices the strange spiral motion everyone makes before entering. He does it too but he grows curious what was the significance of the action again?
He wracked his brain to remember the significance.

Knowledge Local: [roll0]

In case Knowledge Local isn't appropriate
Intelligence roll[roll1]

Space Lawyer
2016-08-19, 03:32 PM
Lani

Lani holds Kendra's hand gently but firmly, attempting to give her some measure of reassurance that everything was going to be alright. She begins to sing a mournful dirge, but one full of remembrance and hope for the future. She also keeps an eye for any new dangers; if dragons were attacking random carriages, other thing surely lurked.

Perform (Sing):[roll0]

DyerMaker
2016-08-19, 04:22 PM
Toby remembers that the significance of drawing a spiral over one's heart was a local tradition for citizens entering the Restlands. It is a sign of respect for the dead.

Lani begins to sing a beautifully mournful dirge for the walk toward the graveside. It's the best dirge any of you have heard thus far.

grifter730
2016-08-19, 07:23 PM
Vas was stoic throughout the procession, until Lani's voice broke the silence with a mournful song that reminded him of his love. It broke his heart, but he wouldn't let the tears fall, instead keeping his eyes staring straight ahead.

DyerMaker
2016-08-19, 09:54 PM
The procession winds through the Restlands along a gravel pathway known as Dreamwake. The path reaches a wide turn and intersects with a second path. An elegantly carved wooden post holds a sign that reads, Eversleep. As you take this path, you notice around ten to twelve surly looking men blocking the path ahead.

Kendra begins to slow when the tallest man from the group holds up his arm with his hand palm forward. The group moves at a normal pace toward you with the tall man in the lead. In moments, this man speaks, Hey, hey now, that’s far enough. We been talkin', and we don’t want Lorrimor buried in the Restlands. You can take him upriver and bury him there if you want, but he ain’t goin’ in the ground here!

Kendra is swift to respond, releasing Lani's hand and any sadness transforming to rage, What? What are you talking about? I arranged everything with Father Grimburrow. He’s waiting for us! The grave’s already been...
You ain't gettin' it, woman. We won’t have a necromancer buried in the same place as our kin. I suggest you move out while you still can. Folks are pretty upset about this right now!

Necromancy!? Gibs, are you really that ignorant?

The group of men stop about 10 meters from your position.

Edge
2016-08-20, 05:19 AM
Ariselde helps carry the coffin in grim silence, making the spiral over her heart as they enter the Restlands. She keeps her composure until Lani starts singing, and then she cannot help but cry.

And then then run into the group of villagers.

"A necromancer? How dare you. How dare?!" the alchemist snarls. "You dare sully the name of a man who spent his life studying how best to help protect people from the dark and the strange by conflating his research with... with necromancy?"

Trying to shame the villagers here, but I dunno if this would constitute a Diplomacy or Intimidation check, if any, so I'll leave a roll for both skills in case either is applicable.
Diplomacy: [roll0]
Intimidation: [roll1]

Space Lawyer
2016-08-20, 06:18 AM
Lani steps forward. Tempers seemed to be getting a little heated, and that isn't what they needed right now. Kendra was burying her father today, and Ariselde seemed to have chosen . . . the direct method. Lani takes a different tack.

"Gentlemen, please, let us pass. Can't you see all of these people who came out to mourn the professor? Surely no necromancer could inspire such true care and sympathy. This is a man who was deeply respected, and you are keeping us from placing him in his final rest."

We should probably consider any other diplomacy rolls to be "helping another" rolls to Lani's.
Diplomacy:[roll0]

DyerMaker
2016-08-20, 02:21 PM
The tall man, Gibs, turns his head to the left as one of the other men puts a hand on his shoulder and whispers a few words. Gib's then gives Lani and Kendra a quick glare. C'mon men, let's go.

Walking away, Gib's continues his venomous stare toward Kendra and Lani as the men sullenly disperse. Damn Lorrimor and Damn you!. Lukas, nearly drops his corner of the coffin. Those of you helping him carry the professor see Lukas release one hand and tighten it into a fist, yet he restrains. It's a tense moment but the men leave.

Sleepy Shade
2016-08-20, 02:42 PM
Toby Watched the men leave relaxing a little. He had been prepared if they had resorted to violence. But thankfully the others had told the lot of them off.
However what they had said that Lorrimor practiced necromancy was a very serious accusation. But why accuse him now? He was already dead not much point in accusing a dead man for a crime. Especially at a funeral. He would have to talk to Lukas and Kendra what that was all about. But for now time to lay the professor to rest.
Toby walks along eye the retreating Gibs and his group. He also takes a chance to look around at the landscape of the graveyard.

grifter730
2016-08-20, 09:36 PM
Vas stayed quiet throughout the confrontation, curious to see how the others would handle it. He's not one for tradition, as far as he cared, dead was dead, and the dead won't care one way another where they're buried. They wouldn't know anyway, but he knew better than to say so for someone like the professor. He was disappointed to see the confrontational men walk away. Would've done the group a bit of good to spend some of the hurt and anger at death redirected towards something else. He looked towards the man called Gibs, throwing him a sly smirk.

Phasm
2016-08-21, 12:19 AM
Tessara remains stoic behind her veil, glad for Lani's presence. Most people don't react well to Tessara's refusal to uncover her face; she's pretty sure that she would have made matters worse if she spoke up. "Let's go. That sort are not worth delaying the Professor's funeral for." And once he's been properly interred, hopefully the local Pharasmin clergy and the stigma against digging up graves will stop any malcontents from disturbing his body.

DyerMaker
2016-08-21, 04:37 PM
Councilman Hearthmount speaks, Gib's and his friends are local farmhands, all of low character. I'll mention this incident to the sheriff when I return.

Kendra takes Lani's hand once again, Thanks for your help. The procession begins again toward the plot Kendra purchased for her father. The wind continues to gently blow leaves across your path when Father Grimburrow and two gravediggers come into focus.

Lukas leads the coffin toward the grave, where two heavy ropes lay across the grave for lowering. Those who are pallbearers place the coffin upon these ropes. Father Grimburrow acknowledges everyone as you gather around the grave. He then gives a short sermon, then invites Kendra to say a few words about her father.

Kendra fights back tears, I remember the first time that Father brought me to the university. There was a student he introduced me to who could mend things. You know, magically. It sounds silly, but that was fascinating to me. He was committed to his students and his research. Father was both courageous and selfless. There was a student from the University one year who was in an accident. Everyone abandoned her, so father took her in and we cared for her as a family. Her name was Bethany and she was like a sister. She only lived for 6 years after the accident but those are six years she had because of dad. He was also funny and fun to be around. His magic shows always thrilled my friends and made me smile when I was discouraged or afraid. He was the bravest man I knew.

Kendra then thanks everyone once again for coming. She invites anyone else to share a few stories or remembrances. Lukas chimes in before Kendra finishes her invite, Professor Lorrimor saved my life. He took me in as an orphan; clothed me, fed me, helped me learn to read and write and then gave me work in the university stables. Now, I own land, have my own business, and thrive in this world. He was like a father. He saved my life.

Edge
2016-08-21, 05:12 PM
Ariselde listens to the service, trying and failing to hold her tears in. Once Kendra opens the floor to the others to reminisce, the alchemist waits for Lukas to finish before stepping forward herself, drying her eyes with the cuff of her clothing.

"Seems the professor made a habit of saving people," she says. "If it weren't for him, I wouldn't be here now. My scars or the rabies of the wolf that dealt them would have been considerably more fatal. And if it weren't for him, even if I had survived, I would just be an apothecary in a small village, not on the cutting edge of alchemical theory. He not only saved my life, he gave me the inspiration to better it."

grifter730
2016-08-21, 05:55 PM
Vas waited until his turn to speak. Giving respect to the man that mentored him, he spoke solemnly, short, and succinct. "The professor was a mentor to me, a kind man. He taught me, shaped me, and gave me hope when the world turned dark. When I finally complete my lifelong quest, it will have been because he helped me. He was a good man, and he was loved."

Sleepy Shade
2016-08-21, 09:09 PM
Toby doesn't try to hold the tears back crying quietly as Kendra speaks of her father. He thought back to that day. Waking up in the tent still covered in more serious wounds Lorrimor hadn't been able to cure with a few potions or spells. Lorrimor's relief when he had woken up and and his concern when he left. And finally to the offer Lorrimor had made him.
When his turn came he spoke up.
"I guess I need to speak both for my Father and Myself. My father Samuel Abbott knew the professor for many years he always talked about how such a courageous, kind, and often times aggravating man he was. But he considered him a friend like no other and while he could not be here to day wishes Lorrimor a happy send off."
He Pauses thinking again about his experiences with the professor.
"I my self didn't know the professor that well I knew him roughly more than a week at best. However I can guarantee you all I would not be standing here today if he had not saved my life when I was a child and then give me a home with his friend who is now my dad. While I didn't know him long he changed my life forever."
He pauses and starts weeping "That's all I can say"

Phasm
2016-08-22, 12:31 AM
Tessara quietly takes her gauntlets off and tucks them in her belt while the others are speaking. She'll need to wipe her eyes sooner or later, and experience has taught her that trying to do so with steel-covered hands leads only to pain. Not that anyone can see any more skin than before; she's wearing thin black cotton gloves under the gauntlets.

Once Toby steps down, the oracle steps forward. "Professor Lorrimor was one of the very few people who did not shun me for my appearance. You will probably be wondering why I cover my face. That is because I suffer from a curse that disfigures me, among other things. My parents sent me to Lepidstadt University in hopes of finding a cure, or at least a name for what ails me. Even in an academic setting, most people did not wish to be around me any more than absolutely necessary. But Professor Lorrimor was different." Tessara takes a handkerchief out of her belt pouch and dabs at her eyes. "He was kind to me. And so knowledgeable! He never did find a cure, but he was able to put a name to my curse. He was able to reassure me that it wasn't fatal, it wasn't contagious, and it wouldn't get any worse. Whenever I needed someone to talk to, when I decided that I wanted to learn about the supernatural, he was there to support me. I will always be in his debt."

Space Lawyer
2016-08-22, 06:02 AM
Lani finds it in her to speak. "My story with the professor began, as so many do, at a tavern. He seemed to have said something to offend the locals, and they were about to beat him soundly for it. I stepped in with calm words and a bit of gold for the next round, and got him out of there. We talked at length about our mutual love of learning. He provided me with a letter of introduction for the university, and in doing so, gave me a home."

DyerMaker
2016-08-22, 09:14 PM
The two grave diggers begin to lower the coffin into the grave as the Father shakes hands with everyone and greets all of the guests. Kendra does the same, saying thank you and goodbye to the councilmen and other guests. Kendra then invites the five of you back to her home (so recently her father’s) for a drink and to hear his last will and testament.

As the grave diggers begin to fill in the grave with dirt, you begin your stroll back to the entrance of the Restlands.
Is there anything you'd like to do prior to taking the wagon or coach back to the professor's former residence?

grifter730
2016-08-22, 09:49 PM
Vas nods at the coffin, as if to say a very casual "see you later," and then follows Kendra to join her.

Phasm
2016-08-23, 12:18 AM
Tessara sniffles as the coffin descends, carefully reaching up under the veil to wipe her face. The sight of the coffin, the eulogies, the sermon... it all brings home the fact that she's lost her mentor and one of her few friends.

But curiosity temporarily pushes her grief aside as Kendra mentions the will. What could the Professor have left her? Perhaps a book or two? Some of his original research? She blots her eyes one more time and tucks the handkerchief away, then offers a hand to Ariselde. "Shall we?" Are you still holding it together?

Sleepy Shade
2016-08-23, 05:24 AM
Toby watches the descending coffin and mubbles mostly to himself.
"Sorry I couldn't get to meetcha one last time old man. Rest in peace."
He somberly walks away from the grave site and for a moment gazes over the resting lands drinking in the view.
At Kendra's offer he accepts. " I don't really think he left anything for me but I'll come along might be interesting." He follows her and the others as they make their way towards Kendra's home

Space Lawyer
2016-08-23, 02:41 PM
Lani has nothing to say for once. She slowly walks back to the wagon, ruminating on the events of the day. A dragon and an angry mob; each extraordinarily unusual to encounter in their own right, and downright bizarre to meet on the same day. Perhaps something strange was happening in this sleepy village.

DyerMaker
2016-08-23, 04:04 PM
Thunder clamors and echoes above your heads like a Dwarven forge. Lukas steadies the horses as streaks of lighting slice across the cloudy sky. It will rain again soon.

Dr. Krupa mounts his steed and circles around, waiting to head back with you. When Kendra's coach arrives, she invites Lani and Vas to ride with her. Lukas asks Toby to help him erect the bows and canvas cover of his wagon, tying the cover to wooden dowels on either side. Once everyone is settled, the wagon and coach drive toward Kendra's home. Kendra is quiet during the coach ride to her home.

Arriving in Ravengro, Lukas takes the long-way-'round, passing Councilman Gharen Muricar's estate on your right, Councilwoman Shanda Faravan's estate on your left, the temple of Pharasma to your right with one of Ravengro's posting-poles out front (containing messages and the latest news), then the estate of Councilman Vashian Hearthmount and his farm before reaching a covered Bridge that crosses the Ravengro Creek, known as Archer's Bridge. The road then turns back toward the main town before crossing a much smaller bridge and reaching Kendra's home.

Ravengro Map (https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-mZmQE6jrBhUEotUDRTbUNaVkk)

The Lorrimor residence is a modest home with crowded bookshelves in every room and dusty relics on various shelves and wall placements. A small table rests in a nook with several windows and a view of a corn field beyond. On the table is a modest serving of fruit, breads, and cheese with two varieties of wine; one red and one white. Kendra remarks, Councilman Vashian should arrive soon. He's reading the will but had an quick errand to run, or so he said. Her hands shake nervously. Please partake of bite or beverage. Then, she takes a seat in the parlor near an upright piano.

grifter730
2016-08-23, 05:04 PM
Vas walks over to the bookshelves, breathing in the smell of old books that he loved so much. The home brought back memories, and Vas made sure to keep his eyes on the books, away from the others, brushing the spines and recollecting scenes that played out in his mind.

Space Lawyer
2016-08-23, 07:38 PM
Lani takes a rather large helping for one of her size, hungry from the excitement of the preceding hours. It was rather simple fare, but then again, Lani mostly lived on the food provided at the university. Her standards were not particularly high.

Phasm
2016-08-24, 12:38 AM
Tessara is very glad of her broad-brimmed hat and cloak by the time they get to the Lorrimor house. As it is, she's going to have to spend some time this evening oiling her armor to make sure it doesn't rust. Oh, what I wouldn't give for mithral armor. She takes a glass of white wine and a plate with a bit of everything, then finds a seat on whatever chair looks the most sturdy. Drawing her dagger, the oracle cuts her food into neat bite-size chunks, then retrieves a hollow reed from her bandolier and puts it into her wineglass. It's so much easier to drink without getting her veil wet that way.

grifter730
2016-08-24, 02:34 AM
Seeing one of the books triggered a memory from Vas, and he dismissed his nostalgic recollections. Getting himself under control, he scans the room and walks over to sit next to Kendra. He notices the poor woman's hand was shaking, but he wasn't bold enough to touch her, so instead he cleared his throat. Vas looks Kendra in her eyes to show sympathy, and he speaks in a very low voice. "I never got the particulars about the professor's death, I was wondering how he died. Was he at peace? I was hoping to find some closure."

Edge
2016-08-24, 02:59 AM
Ariselde just looks... hollow once the service draws to a close. When Tess offers a hand, the alchemist takes it with a mute nod and a crushing grip and allows herself to be led onto Lukas' wagon. She spends the trip to the Lorrimor residence in silence, her eyes constantly locked on something indistinct in the distance.

Kendra's invitation to eat once they arrive seems to shake her out of it slightly, ripping off a hunk of bread with a quiet "Thank you," before taking a seat next to Tess and idly nibbling at the food.

Sleepy Shade
2016-08-24, 03:52 PM
Toby almost immediately goes for the food after arriving. He mostly gets any sweets that are available and any cider. he sits at a table listining to the others gossip for bit. He perks up at Vas's question he finishes his snack and looks over Kendra hoping to get an answer as well.
"Yeah that letter we got never really did say what happened to him."

DyerMaker
2016-08-24, 03:54 PM
"I never got the particulars about the professor's death, I was wondering how he died. Was he at peace? I was hoping to find some closure."Why, I thought you likely knew. Father was found at Harrowstone. She becomes tearful again. He lay with his back to the wall, his head crushed from part of the building which had fallen.

Vashian enters the residence nearly an hour after your arrival at Kendra's home. It doesn't take the most observant of minds to note that he doesn’t completely approve of strangers being involved in local matters, but he seems to keep his mumbles and comments to himself. Yet, he seems a bit annoyed by being in attendance. Let me sample the wine my friends and then we shall witness the professor's last will and testament.

Sleepy Shade
2016-08-24, 04:54 PM
Toby gets some more cider thinking about what she said. "Where is Harrow Stone? close by?" He takes a swig of the cider. Better lay off the cider for now don't want to get too tipsy.

DyerMaker
2016-08-25, 03:17 PM
Toby gets some more cider thinking about what she said. "Where is Harrow Stone? close by?"Yes. Its, a, just a mile or so north of here. Where'd you find that cider? I didn't know we had any.

Councilman Vashian asks everyone to gather in the parlor for the reading of the will. Vashian produces a scroll case, and holds it forth to show that the professor’s personal seal is unbroken. The councilman then breaks the wax and opens the case. As he removes the parchment from its container, a small iron key falls out of the tube, clattering noisily onto the table. Undaunted by the key, the councilman begins to read:

I, Petros Lorrimor, being of sound mind, do hereby commit to this parchment my last will and testament. Let it be known that, with the exception of the specific details below, I leave my home and personal belongings entirely to my daughter Kendra. Use them or sell them as you see fit, my child, and live knowing that you were in my thoughts each day.

Beyond the bequeathing of my personal effects, this document must serve other needs. I have arranged for the reading of this document to be delayed until all principals can be in attendance, for I have more than mere inheritance to apportion. I have two final favors to ask. To my old friends—former students and collaborators, I hate to impose upon you all, but there are few others who are capable of appreciating the true significance of what it is I have to ask. As some of you know, I have devoted many of my studies to all manner of evil, that I might know the enemy and inform those better positioned to stand against it. For knowledge of one’s enemy is the surest path to victory over its plans. And so, over the course of my lifetime, I have seen fit to acquire a significant collection of valuable but dangerous tomes, any one of which in the wrong circumstances could have led to an awkward legal situation. While the majority of these tomes remain safe under lock and key at the Lepidstadt University, there are those I continue to study. These are housed in a trunk at my Ravengro home. I must assume, not far from where you currently sit. While invaluable for my work in life, in death, I would prefer not to burden my daughter with the darker side of my profession, or worse still, the danger of possessing these tomes herself. As such, I am entrusting my trunk of tomes to you, posthumously. I ask that you please deliver the collection to my colleagues at the University of Lepidstadt, who will put them to good use for the betterment of the cause.

Yet before you leave for Lepidstadt, there is the matter of another favor—please delay your journey one month and spend that period of time here in Ravengro to ensure that my daughter is safe and sound. Now that I am gone, she will need your council and support. If you would aid her in setting things in order for whatever she desires over the course of this month, you would have my eternal gratitude. From my savings, I have also willed to each of you a sum of one hundred platinum coins. For safekeeping, I have left these funds with Embreth Daramid, one of my most trusted friends in Lepidstadt—she has been instructed to issue this payment upon the safe delivery of the borrowed tomes no sooner than one month after the date of my burial and reading of this will.

I, Petros Lorrimor, hereby sign this will in Ravengro on this first day of Calistril, in the year 4716.

The councilman then rolls the parchment and places it back in the scroll case; laying it on the table. He straightens his coat and then approaches Kendra. Placing a hand on her right shoulder, Well then, reach me if you must my dear. Eager to leave, Vashian exits the home for his coach home.

grifter730
2016-08-25, 10:51 PM
Vas looks at Kendra intently now, the message of the will forefront in his mind. He was already wary and suspicious of the nature of the professor's death, but now that he made it clear he wants protection for his daughter so that she's "safe and sound", something seems out of place.

"Well," he smiled solemnly at Kendra, "it looks like we're stuck together for a while. What was the professor working on prior to his death that warrants him requesting protection for his daughter from danger?"

Sleepy Shade
2016-08-26, 04:51 AM
Toby looks at her confused for a moment "The cider? oh yes the cider I'm sorry but this is actually a drink I brought from back home a apple cider. I brought two bottles one for my self and one any immediate family. "
Toby digs in his pack bringing up a half empty small bottle which he places to the side and then pulls out a larger bottle full with a wax seal around it. "I came in a hurry after I got the message and well after the dragon attack and the funeral it escaped my mind." He offers her the large bottle.
----

To say Toby was surprised at the contents of the will was an understatement. A full month just watching over the Professor's daughter then taking a bunch of forbidden tomes to the collage was a little more than what he was expecting. Then being paid in platinum to boot!
"Well then that was unexpected. Do you know where the trunk of books is at?" His thoughts go immediately to his father. He needed to contact him and tell him the news. Sure he wasn't going to be happy but this was something Toby had wanted for awhile to get out and experience the world. This looked like the perfect opportunity to do just that. Being paid in platinum was also hard to pass up.

Sorry about the Cider confusion I was in a hurry and didn't see that we only had White and red wine until right now.

Space Lawyer
2016-08-26, 07:52 AM
Lani's face pales a bit upon considering the effect missing a month of lectures will have on her come finals time. She would have to send for her materials and simply hope that assiduous study would remedy any shortcomings. Not once did she consider simply turning down the professor's posthumous request. The combined promise of involving herself with forbidden knowledge, aiding Kendra, and a not-insubstantial sum of money was too potent.

"Yes, we are all in this together now. I see that we are all likely resolved to stay and assist you."

DyerMaker
2016-08-26, 09:16 AM
I must be going now, as Dr. Krupa excuses himself. He gives a gentle nod to Kendra and a casual wave to the rest of you. I'll be at the University for three more weeks before my sabbatical. I'll stop in perhaps.

Lukas stands and helps himself to another glass of wine. Holding the bottle up with a twirl, This one's empty. I'll go to the cellar for another. Lukas then leaves the room to access the cellar from outside.

Edge
2016-08-26, 11:31 AM
A month? A month away from her extensive alchemical supplies? Oh, this was not good.

Ariselde visibly pales as the will is read.

"No, no, no, no..." she mutters, running a hand through her hair in agitation. She can't stay here for a whole month. It wouldn't be safe.

DyerMaker
2016-08-26, 05:25 PM
Kendra stands, I cannot thank you all enough for your attendance today. I didn't know what father's will contained or that he'd be asking you to stay for a month's time. I understand that's a commitment. I'll need a few weeks, of course, to determine whether to stay in Ravengro or sell the residence. You're welcome to stay here. There's plenty of room for everyone. Excuse me for a moment, I'll fetch the chest that father mentioned.

grifter730
2016-08-26, 09:38 PM
As Kendra stands, Vas mirrors her action. "I'll accompany you, if you don't mind. Today's events and that last will and testament has me seeing danger lurking everywhere. So... I apologize to ask again, but what was the professor working on prior to his death that warrants him requesting protection for his daughter from danger?"

DyerMaker
2016-08-26, 10:43 PM
Kendra pauses, Oh, okay, sure. It's just upstairs in the master bedroom. And, I have no idea what father was working on. You'd know more about his research and professional life than I would. He always kept that part of his life... private, from me. After all, I've been in Caliphas for months.

Phasm
2016-08-26, 11:08 PM
Oh dear. Tessara turns to Ariselde, concerned. "It'll be okay, Ari. Lepidstadt isn't that far, if need be you can take a quick trip to your lab and come back." She pats her friend on the shoulder. "Or maybe the Professor has a lab here." Vas can help Kendra carry the books, Tessara intends to stay put until Ariselde has regained her composure.

Sleepy Shade
2016-08-27, 12:43 AM
Toby finishes his meal and tucks the half bottle of cider in his bag. He sighs leans back in his chair and thinks about the attack from earlier today. Why in the world were they attacked? And by a dragon of all things?
He looks over to the two girls Tessara and Ariselde. And is a bit confused by Ariselde's state he had seen her take some sort of drug earlier but something about that wasn't right and her reaction to the will was certainly odd.
"Hey Tess is she alright? She looks like she is in shock."

DyerMaker
2016-08-27, 10:31 AM
Kendra and Vas return promptly from the master bedroom with a relatively small chest of polished oak and iron, which Kendra places on the parlor table. She reaches for the key that dropped from the scroll case earlier, during the reading of the will. Her face goes pale and her emotion and nervous energy consume her. Clutching the key in both hands, Kendra stumbles a bit as she turns to Vas, You must open the chest.

Kendra passes the key to Vas, then returns to her chair, leaning forward with her face resting in her hands. She sobs.

Within this moment, the front door opens as Lukas returns with two bottles of wine. He walks to the breakfast nook and sets the bottles down. From that distance, Did I miss anything?

Kendra stands, trying to regain her poise, You must excuse me friends, I need to lie down. She steadies herself on the handrail and slowly, proceeds upstairs.

Edge
2016-08-27, 03:15 PM
Ariselde reaches up to squeeze the hand Tess has placed on her shoulder. Again, the grip is stronger than normal.

"You're right... you're right..." she breathes slowly, before turning to look at Toby and narrowing her eyes. "I'm fine, thank you," she says curtly.

grifter730
2016-08-27, 08:47 PM
Vas takes the key from Kendra and opens the chest. He keeps an eye on her as she leaves, trying to decide whether to guard her door, or stay back and give her some space. Hopefully there's nothing bothering her other than the obvious.

Space Lawyer
2016-08-27, 09:03 PM
Lani takes Kendra's distress at face value, and ignores Lukas. The mysterious chest is far more enticing. She looks into it as Vas opens it up.

"Well, what do we have here?"

DyerMaker
2016-08-27, 10:08 PM
Vas notices that the key fits perfectly as he slides it into the lock. Within are four old tomes and one relatively new one. The newest tome sits on the top and bears the phrase “Read me now!” scratched into its dark brown leather cover. There is also a small, red leather jewelry box within the chest.

Space Lawyer
2016-08-28, 06:33 AM
Lani can see no value in denying such an urgent and forceful request, and so picks picks up the book that is demanding to be read immediately. She had an innate aversion to seeing a book disfigured in such a way, but if it had been done by Professor Lorriomor, there must have been a good reason. She opens the book and begins reading as instructed.

Sleepy Shade
2016-08-28, 07:35 AM
Toby thinks for a moment annoyed at Ariselde hostile attitude. In his youth he would have been a brat and gotten into a argument with her. Here however he decides to let it slide.
"Good to hear."
He gets up and walks over to the open chest. He spots the Jewelry box and is immediately drawn to it. He picks it up out of the box and looks more closely at it.

Appraise to determine how valuable the box is.
[roll0]

DyerMaker
2016-08-28, 11:34 AM
Inspecting the brown, leather tome, you realise this is the personal journal of professor Lorrimor. The majority of the entries are relatively bland, accounting for day-to-day activities in a small town, common happenings at Lepidstadt, favorite meals, and curiosities. You notice that the professor has circled several entries in the book with red ink. The latest entry reads, (seven days ago) Tomorrow evening I return to the prison. It is imperative the Way does not finish. My caution has already cost me too much time. I am not sure what will happen if I am too late, but if my theory is right, the entire town could be at risk. I don’t have time to update my will, so I’ll leave this in the chest where it’ll be sure to be found, should the worst come to pass.

Pickup up the red-leather jewelry box, you notice that it is very light and finely made. You estimate its value at 300gp.

grifter730
2016-08-28, 11:19 PM
"So, what does it say, Lani? And what's inside the box, Toby?"

Sleepy Shade
2016-08-28, 11:36 PM
"Don't know yet." Toby looks over the little box and tries opening it.

So is the box locked or have some sort of puzzle mechanism?

Phasm
2016-08-29, 01:24 AM
Tessara considers getting up to read over Lani's shoulder, but that would be unconscionably rude. "Yes, what does it say?"

DyerMaker
2016-08-29, 10:57 AM
"Don't know yet." Toby looks over the little box and tries opening it.Toby easily opens the red leather box to reveal an amulet. An iron ring strung on a necklace made from polished and discolored bones, talons, and teeth.

DyerMaker
2016-08-29, 10:04 PM
Seven Days Ago:
Tomorrow evening I return to the prison. It is imperative the Way does not finish. My caution has already cost me too much time. I am not sure what will happen if I am too late, but if my theory is right, the entire town could be at risk. I don’t have time to update my will, so I’ll leave this in the chest where it’ll be sure to be found, should the worst come to pass.

Eighteen Days Ago:
I see now just how ill prepared I was when I last set out for the Harrowstone. I am lucky to have returned at all. The ghosts, if indeed they were ghosts (for I did not find it prudent to investigate further) prevented me from transcribing the strange symbols I found etched along the foundation—hopefully on my next visit I will be more prepared. Thankfully, the necessary tools to defend against spirits are already here in Ravengro. I know that the church of Pharasma used to store them in a false crypt in the Restlands at the intersection between Eversleep and the Black Path. I am not certain if the current clergy even know of what their predecessors have hidden down below. If my luck holds, I should be able to slip in and out with a few borrowed items.

Twenty Days Ago:
It is confirmed. The Way seems quite interested in something—no, strike that—someone who was held in Harrowstone. But who, specifically, is the Way after? I need a list of everyone who died the night of the fire. Everyone. The Temple of Pharasma must have such a list.

One Month Ago:
Whatever the Way seeks, I am now convinced their goal is connected to Harrowstone. In retrospect, I suppose it all makes sense—the stories they tell about the ruins in town are certainly chilling enough. It may be time to investigate the ruins, but with everyone in town already being so worked up about them, I’d rather not let the others know about my curiosity—there’s plenty of folks hereabouts who already think I’m a demonologist or a witch or something. Ignorant fools.

Six Weeks Ago:
Perhaps I was wrong to think ill of Dr. Krupa. Today he presented me with the most wondrous item, a Gravewatch Pendant. It's such a rare object and one that I will covet for some time.

Two Months Ago:
It is as I had feared. The Way is interested in something here in Ravengro. But what could it be?

One Year Ago:
A Doctor of Medicine has joined our staff, Dr. Krupa. Apart from being of Chelaxian origin, I find him to be quite distrusting. I do not enjoy his company and will keep a careful eye upon him. I sense that his heart is dark and that his presence here may not be purely academic.

Ten Years Ago:
The Whispering Way is more than just a cabal of necromancers. I see that now. Undeath is their fountain of youth. Uncovering their motivation does not place me at ease as I thought it might. Their desire to be eternal simply makes them more dangerous.

Sleepy Shade
2016-08-30, 08:12 PM
"So I'm not to up on magic items at the moment. What does a grave watch pendent do? and why do I feel this thing is bad luck if the professor didn't take it with him? "
Toby sets down the jewelry box and picks up the amulet turning it over in his hands.

Appraise to see if I can guess how much it's worth
[roll0]

Space Lawyer
2016-08-30, 08:57 PM
"A lot about a group called the Whispering Way. They seem to be a particularly dangerous group of necromancers." Lani shows the entries off to the group. "They seem to be very active around this village, and that seemed to concern the professor a great deal."

DyerMaker
2016-08-30, 09:01 PM
You're not confident on your appraisal, but you gather is worth more than 1,000gp.

Lukas steps into the parlor with his glass of wine. So, what's in the chest? What'd the professor leave you?

Phasm
2016-08-31, 01:28 AM
Tessara's eyes narrow as she scans the Professor's journal. Those familiar with her expressions can read this as a frown. "I see now why he wanted us here. This will be a dangerous undertaking... but I, at least, will continue his work." She passes the book to Ariselde.

Sleepy Shade
2016-08-31, 02:15 AM
Addressing Lukas Toby points at each item rattling them off "Lets see books, a mission,(He points at the Journal,) and a probably cursed amulet. So all in all not much"
Toby looks at the others and holds up the amulet "So anyone want to have a look at this thing before I put it back?"
If nobody asks for he puts it back into the box.

Edge
2016-08-31, 02:55 AM
Ariselde takes the book from Tess and reads the highlighted sections, her brows furrowing as she reads on.

"The professor thought they were dangerous and tried to stop them, so they killed him. They took professor Lorrimor from us," she says, a growl building in her throat. "They need to be be hunted down." She leaves the "and killed" unsaid.

DyerMaker
2016-08-31, 11:47 AM
Lukas chimes in again, Who's they? Someone killed the professor? It wasn't an accident?

Space Lawyer
2016-08-31, 04:26 PM
Lani looks with slight concern at Ariselde. "That seems to be a bit of a leap . . . but one that isn't altogether unwarranted. Maybe we should retrace the professor's footsteps, and find out a bit more about this gorup. I think that looking around town would be a good idea. We should also go ask Dr. Krupa about these entries. It seems like he has some idea of what was going on. If nothing else, we should explore what is to be our home for the month."

grifter730
2016-08-31, 05:06 PM
Vas's eyes narrow as he listens to his companions read off some of the professor's journal entries. As soon as Dr. Krupa's name was mentioned, Vas immediately assumes the worst of the man. He always assumes the worst of people. Well, at least it seems that there's no reason why anyone would harm Kendra, since the secrets presumably died with the professor, and any attempts on her life would've been performed by now.

Walking over to the items from the box, Vas mutters a spell to see if they glow with magic.

Spellcraft to figure out the magic qualities of the amulet (if any): [roll0]
Spellcraft to figure out the magic qualities of the ring (if any): [roll1]

Sleepy Shade
2016-08-31, 09:52 PM
Toby continues to answer Lukas's questions. "The professor wrote about some group The Whispering Way he seems to have been investigating them. But as to whether they killed him I can't say though the evidence seems stacked against them. By the way there is something odd he mentioned a list of people who died in a fire do you know what he might be referring to? He also lists Eversleep and the Black Path. Are those roads or something?"

DyerMaker
2016-09-01, 01:21 PM
Lukas replies to Toby, sipping his wine; I can't say for the fire but Eversleep and the Black Path are both roads within the Restlands. Why did the professor mention those roads? What's in the Restlands?

DyerMaker
2016-09-02, 03:41 PM
Examing the other tomes, you notice that they are bound together at each end with a band of chainmail and polished steel which are connected to a binding at the edge of the volumes. Here is a small but intricate lock, the keyhole of which appears to be for a key with a strange, triangular shaft. The key does not appear to be present in the chest. The topmost volume has a rich purple cover and contains a brass scarab set with a single eye in its center. The second is of fine, black leather only worn at its edges. The third is made of a tannish animal skin, something reptilian.

Space Lawyer
2016-09-02, 04:08 PM
Lani turns the books over in her hands, but doesn't try to force them open. It was doubtful that she could do such anyways.

"The professor said something about a crypt between those roads. It was owned by the church of Pharasma. Maybe we should talk to them once we get to know the town a little better."

DyerMaker
2016-09-02, 05:45 PM
Lukas looks puzzled. A crypt? In the Restlands? Hmm. He pauses for a moment... I've had a bit too much wine. I'll check back in with y'all tomorrow. Kendra knows where I live. Lukas leaves the residence.

grifter730
2016-09-02, 08:23 PM
Vas gets up as Lukas begins to leave. "I'll walk you to the door, in case you stumble your way there with all that drink." Vas says with a smile. This group he's with is far too trusting with everyone, and with Kendra now under their protection, he's not about to let the late professor down by having her die on his watch.

After Lukas has left and Vas has locked the door securely, he goes back to the group. "Kendra may know about the key. We can wait until she wakes up."

Did Vas figure out what any of them magic items were from the Spellcraft checks?

DyerMaker
2016-09-02, 09:16 PM
Did Vas figure out what any of them magic items were from the Spellcraft checks?
A: the amulet is made with abjuration magic

Phasm
2016-09-03, 02:09 AM
Tessara runs a gloved finger over the metal binding the other books together, eyes creased in a frown. "I wonder why the key to these books was not here? He must have intended us to read them, or they wouldn't be in the chest."

Sleepy Shade
2016-09-03, 07:59 AM
Toby looks over at Tessera "Just be careful lot's of tales about cursed books and forbidden knowledge. I don't want to wake up and find ya drooling and mumbling about stars in a corner or something. I'm gonna head up stairs and get ready for bed.We can really dig into all this and make a plan tomorrow"
Toby yawns and starts heading up stairs carrying his bag over his shoulder. He pauses looks down and then asks the others "Hey do we all get rooms here or are we bunking with each other?"

Can I get a layout or description of the upper floors of the house?

DyerMaker
2016-09-03, 12:53 PM
Lorrimor Residence
http://i.imgur.com/FTwOjU5.jpg

Edge
2016-09-04, 05:54 AM
Ariselde paces back and forth as the others continue to talk.

"What is clear is that the professor's death may not have been as accidental as it first appeared," she says. "It needs to be looked into. As for sleeping arrangements... I don't mind sharing with someone."

Her eyes briefly dart to Tess as she says this.

"Or I could take a chair. I don't much care."

grifter730
2016-09-04, 04:12 PM
Vas begins to look around the room to see if he can find the key for the book.

Take 20 on Perception (for a whopping 21)

DyerMaker
2016-09-04, 07:49 PM
No key is readily found within the residence.

Sleepy Shade
2016-09-04, 08:16 PM
Toby shrugs He walks around and glances in to the three guest bedrooms and the bathroom. He decides to stay in the first bedroom next to the study and drops off his stuff and decides checks out the bathroom in more detail. Maybe they had hot running water that would be nice Toby thought. Thoughts filled with the idea of a hot bath Toby walked to the bathroom.

DyerMaker
2016-09-05, 01:41 PM
Toby shrugs He walks around and glances in to the three guest bedrooms and the bathroom. He decides to stay in the first bedroom next to the study and drops off his stuff and decides checks out the bathroom in more detail. Maybe they had hot running water that would be nice Toby thought. Thoughts filled with the idea of a hot bath Toby walked to the bathroom.There is a coal/wood burning stove in the bathroom for heating water. The stove is not currently lit, however there is coal and a small shovel nearby. A large bucket is beside the stove for heating water in. Water is fed to the bathroom via a roof cistern system. One may take a bath or a shower. All showers are cold. Most all of the homes in Ravengro use this system.

grifter730
2016-09-05, 05:46 PM
A month of babysitting, surrounded by a bunch of strangers. This will be a swell time. Vas thinks to himself. He'll spend the rest of the day reading over the journal again.

Phasm
2016-09-05, 11:12 PM
"Certainly I'll share with you, Ari." Tessara would much rather share a room with someone familiar with her... quirks. It's been an exhausting day, both physically and mentally. She hefts her pack back onto her back and makes her way upstairs.

Space Lawyer
2016-09-06, 10:34 AM
Lani grabs her bags and goes upstairs, claiming the bedroom above the kitchen as her own. Their was a definite advantage to being above the cooking space, the heat from the oven warming the room and allowing the scent of cooking food to linger.

DyerMaker
2016-09-06, 11:27 AM
A few hours pass when Kendra awakes and makes her way downstairs again. She notices Vas studying the journal; What have you learned about my father and his work? She pauses. You know, you're welcome to use his study and library for any research needs you have. Those books are just collecting dust.

Lorrimor’s library provides a +2 bonus on all Knowledge checks made toward any research.

grifter730
2016-09-06, 08:23 PM
Vas looks up as Kendra enters. It dawned on him a few seconds later that perhaps he should've stood up when she entered, but doing it now would just be awkward. "Does your head feel better?" He asks her.

"I haven't learned much that I can puzzle out, though now that you're awake, perhaps you may be of help. Your father was working on unspeakable things, things that put his life, and yours, at a great risk. Have you heard of the Whispering Way? They seem to be a sinister bunch seeking undeath as their ultimate goal, and they're very interested in Ravengro and Harrowstone for reasons unclear. Apparently they're interested in someone that was held at Harrowstone, and the key to it may lie in a list of everyone who died in the night of the fire. I'm not sure what fire he's speaking of, but he mentions that the Temple of Pharasma may have such a list. The church seems to have hidden something below their temple, at the intersection between Eversleep and the Black Path. Your father was going to go there.

"Your father also mentioned a distrust of Dr. Krupa in the beginning. Have you noticed anything out of the ordinary with him? Even gut feelings? The journal mentions that he gave your father a gravewatch pendant. Are you familiar with the pendant, or know where it is?"

It was a slew of questions that Vas asked Kendra, and he waits patiently for her to respond. He holds the journal out to her, and shows her the circled dates marked by the late professor.

Sleepy Shade
2016-09-06, 09:14 PM
Toby walks down stairs having gotten a warm bath he was dressed in a cleaner set of clothes than he had been wearing to the funeral.
" (yawn) That felt fantastic been a few days since I got a good bath. Oh hello Kendra... feeling better?" He spots Vas holding out the book clearly asking her her some sort of of questions.
"Oh I see your busy I'll leave you two to talk then" He heads back up stairs and opens the door to the study. Mostly browsing a few books here and there eventually Toby starts searching through the study looking to answer a few thoughts that had entered his mind

So I get +2 for using the study right?
The first thing is to figure out what a grave watch pendent does.
Untrained Knowledge (Arcana) [roll0]
More info about the Black Knight
Knowledge (Local) [roll1]
Info about church of Pharasma
Untrained Knowledge (Religion) [roll2]
Info about any big fires that happened in Harrowstone or Raven Grow
Knowledge (Local) [roll3]
Any info about Half giants cooking people into pies Legends or ghost stories that sort of thing.
Knowledge (Local) [roll4]

Edge
2016-09-07, 10:27 AM
Ariselde follows Tess upstairs and dumps her pack in the same room and sighs deeply.

"Thank you, Tess," she says, before lowering her voice. "I... I might need to... to wear my beast shape tonight. It's been... itching to get out. If you're not comfortable sharing the room with me like that, I'll... I'll go for a midnight run. Or something."

The alchemist quickly double-checks her supply levels of both her tincture and the ingredients for it, and then heads down to the late professor's library once her conversation with Tess is done. Ariselde was fairly certain Lorrimor would have kept some choice texts on her condition here, and begins scanning the bookshelves when she notices Toby. She immediately becomes more discrete, attempt to find what she's looking for without making it obvious.

Phasm, please feel free to continue the conversation if you want to.

On regards to Ariselde's research, both checks are looking for any esoteric or new information in Lorrimor's library on the subject of lycanthropes, and specifically their anatomy and physiology, if either are applicable:
Knowledge (arcana): [roll0]
Knowledge (nature): [roll1]

And a Stealth check to obfuscate what she's looking for from Toby:

Stealth: [roll2]