PDA

View Full Version : Close Encounters of the Fantastic Kind

Pages : [1] 2

jakarta
2017-06-06, 03:11 PM
gm reserve.

You are being drawn to the Devil's Tower National Monument, where your attention will be drawn to posters and flyers advertising a moonlight nature walk and campfire stories program.

How are you getting to the Devil's Tower? What are you listening to on the radio?

LairdMaon
2017-06-11, 12:52 PM
Vera Lee rides smoothly into the Flying J in Gillette, WY with John St.John at the wheel. John's been listening to the truckers in the area jawing on about traffic on the local roads and the more fantastic bits of news. "Prepprd" they call him on the CB. He speaks in an even tone, asking for more info anytime the chatter quiets down.

He pulls into the diesel fueling lane and waits his turn for the pumps. One last top off before the final leg to Devil's Tower. Might be a good idea to use the facilities while we're here, too.

He reaches behind himself and through the curtain into the sleeper to pound on a cupboard inside. "Wake up! We're at a truck stop! Last one for the last stretch. Bathroom and hot food if yer interested!"

jakarta
2017-06-12, 06:06 AM
The scent of steak, bacon, grease, and hashbrowns is thick near the cafe area. Racks of souveniers guard the snack food and cooler cases.

JbeJ275
2017-06-12, 03:25 PM
A small beagle bounds through the curtain yapping relentlessly.

After a few moments he is followed by a teenager in trainers jeans and a red hoodie who yawns before saying Good, I need a wazz before we get back on the road, how far are we from devil's tower anyway?

LairdMaon
2017-06-12, 03:39 PM
John pulls Vera Lee up to the pumps and climbs down to begin fueling. "WE'RE ONLY ABOUT AN HOUR OUT." he hollers up to Oliver.

It doesn't take much time at all to top off the repurposed tow rig. Having hauled nearly nothing compared to the 50-60 tons she used to pull was a cinch. She hardly sips diesel these days.

John finds a space to park near the entrance of the Flying J. "I'm going in to grab a drink and a burger, you coming? We can walk the dogs when we get to the park, yeah?"

JbeJ275
2017-06-12, 03:51 PM
Oliver stepped down from the cabin, having grabbed mincemeat and him tied a leash. Sounds good, lets head in and grab something. Mincemeat then starts to go off to the café. Looks like he's caught a smell to..

LairdMaon
2017-06-12, 04:15 PM
With Lucy Fur guarding Vera Lee, John doesn't bother locking the truck. T'ain't a better protection for a truck than a well trained and loyal dog. "You want a couple hotdogs, girl?
Yeah, you do. I'll be right back, so you keep Vera Lee safe, alright?" John gives Lucy Fur a scratch under the chin and closes her in the air conditioned truck.

John makes it into the cafe a couple steps behind Oliver and calls out to him, "Kid, meet up back in the truck, yeah? Just make sure Lucy knows it's you at the door."

A walk around the place shows John what he wanted to know. Folks were beginning to hoard. Shelves are looking a bit bare. Just a couple cases of bottled water left.

The former trucker grabs a small assortment of fresh fruit from the counter and buys it, a carton of Camel 99s and 6 hotdogs.

jakarta
2017-06-12, 04:31 PM
A tv set to Foxnews is covering "fish people" at Disney World, a giant spider in Tucson, giant antd near Phoenix, and...orchids? or something in Chicago. ...

Some in the cafe are insisting its all a bunch of bull like that Orson Wells Martians nonsense.

The non belivers are, however, worried about reports of lava at Mt Jefferson and tremors at St. Helen's.

(Baby needed changing.. zzzx )

JbeJ275
2017-06-12, 04:40 PM
When returns to the truck with a bag of chips, a hot dog and a coke. Oliver asks So what's your thoughts on the stuff that's ended up all over the news, I know it's probably bull**** but for some reason I can't help but believe it might be real. Especially when I keep dreaming and seing all this weird stuff

LairdMaon
2017-06-12, 04:53 PM
"Well, kid, something's got to be going on. What's got me worried is that none of it matches up with any of the theories I've seen floating around the internet. We are looking at something completely new here."

John gives two hotdogs to Lucy Fur and one to Mincemeat.

"Let's get moving." And with that, John pulls out and onto the road once more. Not having a governer to limit her speed, Vera Lee rolls along at a good clip, passing other rigs comfortably. "Less than an hour at this rate."

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-06-13, 02:30 AM
It's a long drive from Grand Rapids to Seattle.

Katherine has been on some long road trips in her life visiting family in California and Arizona, but in the past she had always made these drives with a partner - her dad, her brother, the sisters on her college debate team. Driving alone is a very different experience, and the podcasts she has queued up on her phone can only get her so far.

She's not sure at which point she decided to visit Devil's Tower, but the entire point of a road trip is that you get to stop visit landmarks like this; otherwise it would have been cheaper to fly out. So, really, it's an excuse to justify this odd style of vacation that she had already unconsciously decided on. Still, it should be pretty fun. She grabbed a flyer for a nature walk at the last gas station and should be right on time for it.

She reaches over to her little car's controls and switches them from the bluetooth media player back to the radio. It takes a minute to comb through the stations - country, country, christian talk, top 40 hits, christian rock, country again. Soon enough she manages to latch on to the public radio station and listen to WPR's news hour.

JbeJ275
2017-06-13, 06:26 AM
"Well, kid, something's got to be going on. What's got me worried is that none of it matches up with any of the theories I've seen floating around the internet. We are looking at something completely new here."

John gives two hotdogs to Lucy Fur and one to Mincemeat.

"Let's get moving." And with that, John pulls out and onto the road once more. Not having a governer to limit her speed, Vera Lee rolls along at a good clip, passing other rigs comfortably. "Less than an hour at this rate."
I know what you mean about the internet stuff, half of them claim it's hallucinations from poisons in the water and the damage all comes from people freaking out. But I've seen what a room looks like after people get crazy and it's never been nothing like that.

LairdMaon
2017-06-13, 09:58 AM
Vera Lee shifts gears so pretty and quiet that it's sometimes hard to tell that she's done so. In fact, even John felt as if that short stretch of the 90 eastbound never even happened until they found themselves chewing up the asphalt of the 14 north.

"Nah, you're correct. Hallucinations and poisons can't be the answer. Too many people of different statuses saying same damn things?"

He lights a smoke and rolls down his window, even with the noise of the wind and road, he only has to raise his voice a little. "Take Keyhole Reservoir here. If something like what's going on in Chicago happened here and the government controlled news media stayed quiet, well, you ask the truckers. Truckers are guaranteed independent. And gossips, too. Hell, if you want you can flip that switch 'n we can fish for local info, heh."

JbeJ275
2017-06-13, 12:22 PM
Well, you never know a place better than you know the people there. with this Oliver flips the radio switch and sits back sipping his coke.

Eric Scott
2017-06-15, 12:26 PM
While the camping at Yellowstone wasn't bad, Marty knew one thing for sure... Next time, make sure there aren't any rocks or roots sticking up where you put the tent... His back hurt but he had to continue his road trip, he didn't want to cut any of the stops from his trip just to be able to be back home in time to return to work. Next stop Devils Tower, then Grand Canyon, Zion, Las Vegas, and finally back home to Los Angeles. Time's is a wasting, so Marty eats a brownie and starts packing up to head to Devils Tower, in about an hour he wont feel the pain in his back at least not until he gets to Devils Tower.

As he sets off on his way he sees something out of the corner of his eye, he could have swore it was a fairy, Damn, this batch is stronger than the last one. This stretch of the road trip just got interesting. He turns up the volume of the metal he's listening to, and begins cruising.

LairdMaon
2017-06-15, 01:11 PM
The miles passed uneventfully. No radio chatter about anything exciting at the reservoir.

Parking at the Tower wasn't the easiest, but when Vera Lee wants a space, she gets a space. She ended up backed into a space with a clear route to the exit. You know, just in case things got hairy.

Walking the dog is always a good excuse for scouting an area and Lucy Fur is always game for such an activity.

After burning a couple hours confirming Vera Lee's inventory is intact and available, John takes his flashlights and stows them under the from wheel wells for easy access.

Finally, it's time to go see what this gathering is all about. Maybe he'll even find the friends he was supposed to meet up with... Lucy Fur won't take Stay for an answer and insists on going along with John. Silly girl.

JbeJ275
2017-06-16, 04:01 PM
Oliver takes Mincemeat on a walk, or more accurately a run through the great outdoors that make up the park, he hasn't seen this much open space in a long time and he's taking every opportunity to enjoy it. It's a great afternoon, with the exclusion of Mincemeat deciding to 'go' right in the middle of a footpath, which was not pleasant to clean up.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-06-17, 12:44 AM
As Katherine's little blue car circles around the park for a spot, a BBC reporter continues to read secondhand reports of the increasingly bizarre events arising across the globe. The simultaneous release of suspiciously large spiders and insects in multiple metropolitan areas was a novelty when she left home, and since then more and more so-called monsters have been documented, ranging from yetis and chupacabras to literal fire-breathing dragons. The story Katherine has been following most closely involves the uprising of a self-described Orcish Horde and various attempts at discerning their origins and motives.

The story did not go into much detail on their distorted facial features and unrecognizable language, which is just as well. I imagine that the images in my dreams will probably do them more justice. People with features and beliefs distorted by some as yet unseen force, but people nonetheless. Somehow, when the time comes, I suspect that I'll have to be the one to stand up for them. I'd be lying if I said I was looking forward to it.
Katherine started these log entries as a way of commemorating her road trip, not unlike a photo album in text form. In practice, it's become more of a dream diary. As the stories in the news become more fantastic, she's found more connections between that reality and her own nightmares, which have grown increasingly vivid and memorable as she's approached Devil's Tower.

I find myself lying awake in my hotel room, praying. For my dad, for my friend in Seattle, for the so-called monsters to find their way. Dad would probably be proud, but I know I'm only doing it to put off going to sleep. To stave off the dreams just a bit longer. Not that it does any good.

A road surrounded by leering shadows, orcs and goblins watching with what I know to be both curiosity and suspicion. A small ball of light leads me up the path to a distant plateau. I can't kill a dragon I've never seen, I protest. Don't worry, the light replies. When you are close to finding the power to destroy it, the dragon will come to you.

Alas, as the dreams have become more vivid, they have not become any less cheesy.

"Ah-ha! Finally!"

Katherine spins her steering wheel and pulls into one of the few remaining parking spots for the campground. An adjacent semi truck makes it a bit of a tight squeeze, which would probably explain why the space wasn't snatched up by one of the campers or minivans.

Eric Scott
2017-06-17, 02:13 AM
After 6 and a half hours of driving, Marty makes it to his destination Devils Tower National Monument.

As he searches for a spot he mutters to himself, Wonder if there's still enough day left to climb to the top... Finding a spot he shrugs, Eh, suppose I can climb it tomorrow if there isn't, should still have time enough to finish the trip and get back home on time. Once parked, he heads toward the visitor center to see if he can find a park ranger to see if he's got time to climb and to register to do so if there is time. Though when he gets there flyers advertising a moonlight nature walk and campfire stories program catch his eye. Well, if there isn't time enough to climb today, at least there's something to do between now and tomorrow.

jakarta
2017-06-17, 09:43 AM
Turns out that climbing the Tower is a no-go. Something about very aggressive Golden Eagles have moved in and they would rather not harass the birds in their natural nesting areas.

The rangers also advise everyone to keep all dogs on leash and to keep them secured in vehicles at night. Coyotes have been more aggressive than usual and are targeting dogs for meals. No threat to people though. STAY WITH YOUR GROUP. They don't bother people at all. No small kids with you though, right?

Oh, you can't take the dog on the nature hike. They tend to scare off all the nature. Just don't leave the windows cracked more than half and inch and park as close to the buildings as possible.

-------------
As evening draws near a group forms at one end of the lodge for the hike. Everyone got their flashlight? Fresh batteries? Actual flashlights please, those phones don't last that long. You can buy them right there in the gift shop. Spare batteries too.

Looks like they have a comedy folk singer at the other end of the lounge. A little person with a guitar.

....the discount was nice of you....
....but I don't think I'm getting through...
....to put it plain and simple, this is tall as I stand....

...Be glad to explain it, if its hard to comprehend....
...What part of "gnome" don't you understand?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTqS28mouxM

LairdMaon
2017-06-17, 09:58 AM
"Yes, yes, I know, Lucy. No coyote is any match for you. But you know how you get about country music. And I understand. Ugh. So I need you to stay here. Keep Mincemeat from losing his mind, yeah?
Oh yes, that's my good girl!" John leaves the tow rig running in idle to provide the animals a comfortable environment, checks that he left water and food for both and then gives Oliver a spare key to the truck. As light fades he grabs up a tire thumper with built in flashlight and starts walking to the party. He holds the thumper choked up on the heavy end to encourage anyone seeing it to assume it's merely a flashlight. He carries his walking staff in his other hand to better seem harmless.

Eric Scott
2017-06-17, 11:53 AM
No climbing? Well, he no longer worries about having enough time to finish the trip, that easily added a days worth of wiggle room. But is a flashlight really that necessary? Eyes can adapt to the dark after a while, all all the light will do is cause light blindness and probably keep more of the nature away... but, it must just be a safety precaution with the aggressiveness of the animals. Though why are the animals being so aggressive? Perhaps something to do with astrology or more likely that something new has come into their territory...

Eh, probably putting too much thought into this... What's the worst that could happen? Marty thinks as he goes to buy a couple flashlights and a few extra batteries.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-06-18, 01:31 AM
A tall woman in too-clean shorts and a teal tank top stops to regard one of the kitschy gift shop lanterns. It's shaped as the head of a green alien and casts the bright light from its eyes. She almost convinces herself to buy it (Maybe I could unload it on cousin Ben's kid...) but sets it down as soon as she remembers the flashlight that her dad got her for Christmas last year.

Katherine heads out to her car and crouches to retrieve it from under the seat, where it's been stashed along with the cheap tire pressure gauge and the little hammer for breaking out your windshield. As she reaches to feel for the tools, she jumps as a pair of dogs start freaking out in the truck behind her. She looks up, and hears their owner talking to them from the other side. She grabs her mini tac light and locks her car door, causing the dogs to lose their composure for another few rounds of barking.

No coyotes, no nightmarish shadow wolves. I really just need to relax.

I so badly want to ask, "Do you always take your dogs on the road with you?" but that would probably be weird.

JbeJ275
2017-06-18, 04:44 AM
Oliver picked up his small flashlight, it was a little compact thing that fit onto a key ring were he to have one. Right now it was in his pocket as he was leaning against the cabin wall listening to the music.

jakarta
2017-06-18, 05:08 AM
The guides advise everyone to drink a bottle of water before you start off and to carry one with you. There will be more and some cocoa and smores and hotdogs and toufu dogs available for purchase at the camp fire.

The trip will take you on a walking trail around the Tower, and circle around to the fire at one end of the camping area. The guide will discuss some of the history of the area, features of the terrain and wildlife, and a few of the plants. There will be ghost stories and music at the campfire, then you can follow the paved path back to the visitors center.

Stay with the group, and if you get lost, stay put and shine your flashlight around so the rangers can find you.

The guides start your group (pcs and about 10 others) down the trail, stopping to point out micro claimants, plants making the transition to night mode, calls of various birds, don't worry about those howls....

LairdMaon
2017-06-18, 07:35 PM
When the guide mentions bringing water along John takes one good look at the people about to make the walk. "Sir, I've got some extra water in my truck. Mind waiting a moment for me to grab it?"
John returns shortly with a hiking backpack filled with cold water bottles. "Carry on." he says with a smile.

John is content to walk in the middle of the group, staff in one hand, tire thumper/flashlight in the other.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-06-19, 12:38 AM
After watching about two more song parodies from Tiny Weird Al, Katherine fills a travel mug from the water fountain as the time comes to get underway. There are not a lot of camp songs or introductions going on, it seems, so she's content with exchanging polite nods as the group gathers and departs.

She does not go on walks like this often enough. It's nice to get out with the stars and fresh air. Her favorite part seems to be watching the evening primroses as they open. She stays near the back of the group out of habit, making sure no one else falls too far behind.

"I kind of like the howling, actually." Katherine's voice seems to come out of nowhere at first. She's been walking near Marty and Oliver in silence for quite some time up to now. "It kind of fits for an evening in a national park. Although it does give me déjà vu for some reason." She gives Oliver a polite smile. "Excuse me, are you Oliver? How have you been?"

It probably takes a minute for him to recognize her in this context, far removed as it is from the tiny law office where they met a few years ago. Thankfully, they hadn't known each other for too long; he was only charged with shoplifting and the Broken Windows enforcement philosophy has been out of fashion for about a decade now. She only barely remembers his name.

JbeJ275
2017-06-19, 04:14 PM
Oh, ummm Catherine right? From that trial, did I ever thank you properly for getting that done? Anyway, If you haven't seen me since it's cause I've been staying outa trouble for the first time ever. If you're heading on the trail you should come with me and John. How are you doing anyway?

jakarta
2017-06-19, 08:35 PM
You have some time to catch up as the nature walk concludes and you have a round of 'wienie roast' before the campfire stories. The Japanese tourists really get into it.

LairdMaon
2017-06-19, 08:45 PM
More hotdogs! St.John remains amused throughout the wienie roast and makes his way to his young cohort.

"Oliver," he starts as he sits on the ground near the pair, "whose your friend here?"

JbeJ275
2017-06-20, 05:37 PM
This is Cstherine who... Oliver nervously scarthces the back of his neck let's just say she got me out of trouble one time. Anyway Catherine, John. John, Catherine.

jakarta
2017-06-20, 09:01 PM
The ghost stories range from Native American to lost cowboys to Chupracabra.

The Japanese require smore lessons.

The wind picks up and bands of clouds occasionally block the moon. The howling increases.

The electric lights along the path and in the buildings start to flicker. The camp fire flares. In the peripherally of the light you glimpse tan canine forms darting about. Camera flashes are reflected by glowing eyes..

The guides start herding everyone back to the visitor center.

"I'm Edwardo, Edwardo's a Smart Boy." says the parrot who flies over. "Edwardo wants a brownie." it requests as it flies towards the tree line. Below the parrot you make out Lucy, Mincemeat just as they disappear into the brush....followed seconds later by tan canine forms.....

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-06-20, 11:05 PM
"John." Katherine shakes Oliver's friend's hand before getting to sharing 'dogs and stories. She likewise introduces herself to Marty, who looks a little left out.

...and eventually Edwardo? A strange contrast to the nightmare shadow premonition coyotes. Why does my life have nightmare shadow premonition coyotes.

"Oh, hello! And who brought you here?" It's only at this point that she realizes where she recalls seeing the other two pets before. "Wait, were those not the dogs from the truck outside?"

Eric Scott
2017-06-21, 03:37 AM
Pleasure to make your acquaintance, Katherine. Marty says looking past her and into the darkness.

Upon hearing Edwardo, Marty immediately is focused, Edwardo? You're supposed to be in L.A., though yes I have to admit you certainly are smart to have been able to escape and find your way to me. Marty says, and he begins jogging after his beloved parrot, completely disregarding the danger he is putting himself in. Though no brownies for you mister if you end up getting yourself killed out there in the wild.

LairdMaon
2017-06-21, 08:38 AM
"Trouble?" John chuckles. "Yeah, I guess I can believe it. What're are you from, Kath-."

John looks up at Katherine, "Dogs from the truck? I don't know that I saw any other proper truck out there." he looks into the treeline as he speaks.

"LUCY! LUCY FUR! COME BACK HERE!" A glimpse of her was all he needed to get him up and running after her.

JbeJ275
2017-06-21, 09:36 AM
Wait, what? Oh ****, mincemeat!. with this Oliver also goes sprinting into the treeline.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-06-21, 10:33 PM
Katherine quickly follows to enact operation: dog retrieval. Typical non-nightmare coyotes don't usually fight full-grown humans, so this shouldn't be a terribly dangerous task.

She tries not to think about the possibility that these are not non-nightmare coyotes.

jakarta
2017-06-23, 04:32 AM
Pushing pathless though the rocky woods you follow the pets and shadows though the pine, juniper, and brush, desperately trying to keep them in sight, sometimes relying on guesses of echoing barks and "want a brownie."s.

You push past sagebrush into a small clearing backed by a shear rock wall. Your pets are not there, but what is astounds you.

In the middle of the line, are two men in jeans and black "A for Anarchy" t-shirts. The one on the right is holding a hammer.

The one to his left is being held by a juniper. (spot check)

Held by, meaning that the juniper has a distorted face in the bark of its trunk, and a hand like limb has grabbed the man by the shoulder. The tree is creaking frightfully.

To the right of the men, 15 ft away, are two shaggy Coyotes, standing on their hind legs, mouths agape with wicked grins.

LairdMaon
2017-06-23, 08:27 AM
"WHOA! WHAT. THE. HELL!" John holds his staff out in front of himself horizontally. He trains his flashlight on the coyotes at first, and then the two guys in anarchy uniforms.

"Dude! Drop the hammer! You're going to piss off the locals more! Throw it on the ground in front of me!"

JbeJ275
2017-06-23, 09:17 AM
Ah, **** this is half the bloody reason I didn't do 'em and now it's happening anyway?
He then yells at the guys, trying to keep going despite the presence of coyotes.
I don't know who the **** you are but get out of the ****ing way!

Eric Scott
2017-06-23, 11:42 AM
Not trying to judge but, anarchy always seems great and all up until you realize it's just you against everything. Gets a bit tedious,
you know? Oddly calm about the situation he's found him self in. So... Uhh... You haven't happened to see a parrot fly by, have you?

Thrown in almost as an after thought, Marty says, Oh... and you wouldn't happen to need some help would you?

LairdMaon
2017-06-23, 11:48 AM
John addresses his friends behind him, "Guys, I think these idiots are the aggressors. The local plants and animals have taken offence to that spike and the axe at my feet."

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-06-23, 07:09 PM
Katherine scans the scene quietly as everyone else eagerly offers their opinions. This sort of thing has been in the news and haunted her dreams for days, but actually seeing the walking dogs and animated trees takes a moment to fully register. She doesn't really understand what John is talking about until she follows his gaze to the back of the tree.

"Hmm. Is that right?"

She hasn't been trying to hide behind the group, but John's and Oliver's aggressive advances seem to have placed her in the back anyway. After taking a breath, she steps forward to address the spooky figures directly. "Sorry, but what exactly is going on here? Do you speak English?"

jakarta
2017-06-24, 10:56 AM
'OOOOOWWWW!!!' Creaks the tree.

'Hey, let off, we were trying to do you a favor, ouch', screams the one being held.

'Stay back!' screams the other, brandishing the hammer at the coyotes.

The coyotes make happy sounding growls and slowly move apart as if to flank hammer man.

(spot checks for everyone but John. )

LairdMaon
2017-06-24, 11:07 AM
John shifts the flashlight to shine directly in the eyes of the idiot with the hammer, "DROP THE HAMMER! PUT IT ON THE GROUND AND BACK AWAY!"

jakarta
2017-06-24, 04:16 PM
John shining the flashlight around reveals and conceals.

The shifting shadows and glare obscures Oliver's vision.

Katherine notices a glint from an oddly shaped nearby rock, but can't make out more.

Marty notices a finely made wooden staff leaning against a rock within reach of him.

LairdMaon
2017-06-24, 04:35 PM
"Oliver," John speaks in an even tone, "take my flashlight.
Keep it in the eyes of the chill with the hammer. If things go bad, is a small bat. Katherine, my walking stick. Defend yourself with it if things escalate." He holds the items out to be taken.

With his newly free hands he slowly picks up the battleaxe, "And I feel like things are definitely going to escalate."

Eric Scott
2017-06-24, 06:50 PM
Well, if everyone is going to prepare themselves for the possibility of conflict... Marty says a he quickly picks up the staff, and admires the craftsmanship of it.

jakarta
2017-06-24, 09:18 PM
Slo-mo...

What does Marty wish were different about this situation?

John finds himself getting angry.

The tree starts to lift the man off the ground.

The coyotes snap at the hammer man in turn, moving in to flank.

What does Kat want to know?

What does Oliver do?

JbeJ275
2017-06-24, 09:26 PM
Oliver scrambles backwards looking for a hefty rock to throw in case he needs to defend himself keeping the light on the scene before him. All the while he's wondering desperately what could be going on, and how his could possibly be happening in the world he knows.

jakarta
2017-06-24, 09:45 PM
Feeling around, Oliver's hand finds....a top hat?

Eric Scott
2017-06-24, 10:20 PM
Marty doesn't really wish much were different about the situation, these men had clearly done some sort of wrong to the tree and/or coyotes, as such they had to accept what fate they had brought upon themselves. All Marty wished was that the tree and coyotes wouldn't end up attacking him or his acquaintances merely for their presence there.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-06-24, 11:19 PM
"Oh, Lord help me..."

Katherine doesn't quite agree with John's approach, but doesn't try to correct him either. He sounds like he might be an ex-cop or something. Instead, she takes the stick and dashes forward to interpose herself between the coyotes and Hammer Man. She'll bop either on the nose if they attack. "Down, boy! We don't want to hurt anyone, do we?"

From there, she looks over to the haunted tree fiasco on the other side of the clearing. "Hey! If you two just hold on for a minute, we might be able to help! Now what happened here?"

Of course, that was probably the shallowest question I could ask. There were far more fundamental questions that I couldn't begin to answer - how did this tree come to life in the first place? What were these coyotes thinking? How did Oliver's dog apparently disappear into that sheer wall?

But there was one question I needed answered first: the one I was trying to ask but couldn't quite articulate. Were the actors in this scene wrapped up in a simple misunderstanding, or were the coyotes or the humans acting as unprovoked aggressors?

Or, more succinctly: Which side of this conflict was the right one?

jakarta
2017-06-25, 12:01 AM
Kat suddenly knows : Coyotes EVIL!!! ONLY Coyotes.

As she steps forward, requesting Divine aid, a beam from the heavens shines upon her momentarily....

Marty's staff begins to glow, and with a flash, he and Oliver, who is standing closest, are surrounded by a softly glowing force field.

Oliver sees a glowing...sword?...stuck in a rock near where Kat was standing before she moved between the Anarchist and the coyotes.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-06-25, 01:29 AM
As Katherine tries to stare down the fuzzy, cackling creature, she sees a flash of... something... in its eyes. An invisible expression of malice, corruption, and everything that a coyote should not be.

"Back, monster!"

As much as the sight creeps her out, it also fills her with determination. She swings the stick in an effort to make the were-coyote go away.

Eric Scott
2017-06-25, 02:15 AM
Marty noticing the staffs glow and then that the force fields appear, Perhaps an advanced military device? he says as he looks the staff over more closely. Or perhaps its origin is similar to that of the strange occurrences of the world, intriguing...

Upon hearing Katherine calling the coyotes "monsters" he is slightly confused... Monsters? Sure they are carnivorous, though they tend to be scavengers and they only tend to hunt small prey, if anything they are trying to protect something perhaps their young... though admittedly this world has been becoming strange so, I am sorry for questioning your womanly intuition.

JbeJ275
2017-06-25, 05:12 AM
Remembering the rules about avoiding fights, Oliver flips the top hot onto his head then puts on a show of confidence, beaming at the hostile coyotes, meanwhile his other hand slowly reaches out towards the sword.

All the while he is desperately considering the situation almost trying to will it into making some measure of sense.

jakarta
2017-06-25, 08:17 AM
The coyotes aren't original parties to this situation and are being opportunistic. Like on that nature show where the badger is trying to dig up the ground squirrel and the coyote catches the squirrel coming out the back door...

Oliver reaches and pulls the sword...and gets both sword and rock. The rock seems lighter than it should be...

John feels himself getting stronger...

The nearest coyote snaps at Kat, snaking her stick off an inch from her hand....

LairdMaon
2017-06-25, 10:45 AM
John steps forward quickly and swings his new battlaxe at the nearest coyote.

To Hit [roll0]
To Hurt [roll1]

"Back off the lady!" he growls.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-06-25, 11:04 AM
"These aren't Coyotes, Marty! Or did you miss the part where they're standing on two legs and taunting us?"

Of course, it could be a normal dog for the way it's played tug-of-war with the stick. Most dogs she knows probably wouldn't have been able to snap it in half like that, though.

"Well, whoever you are, you're outnumbered now."

jakarta
2017-06-25, 11:07 AM
John connects, but only glances.

The coyotes attack!

Snapping at Kat: [roll0]

At John: [roll1]

(not making the bonuses visible)

The snapping jaws miss.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-06-25, 11:48 AM
Katherine shields her face with her left hand and tosses away what's left of the stick in her right.

"Fine. Hammer!" She reached behind her toward the armed anarchy-dude. If he wants to help, he can, but if he just hands her the sledge, that works too.

jakarta
2017-06-25, 12:02 PM
Claw hammer, actually.

The tree tosses the other one off into the bushes. You hear, but not see him scramble away.

"What ever Man! Later!" He hands, almost tosses, the hammer to Kat and runs off into the night in the general direction his friend went.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-06-25, 12:36 PM
It's difficult to describe a fight in detail without resorting to a blow-by-blow narrative where each combatant acts and reacts in turn. The problem with these narratives is that they can carry an adversarial bias that minimizes the importance of moment-by-moment value judgments. However I may have felt about the beasts we were fighting, and whatever they were doing to us, to actually attack and harm them was a difficult hurdle to cross. In the moment, I may have said that I was defending myself or that I had no choice, but that too would be an oversimplification. I made a choice, and at the time it seemed correct. All I can do now is reflect on it and see if there were better options that I could take in the future.

I've yet to come up with one.

Katherine catches the clawhammer and brings it down on the coyote's head.

Attack: [roll0]+5 (unless altered somehow)

Damage: Haha I actually have no idea what the damage code is on this hammer. Is it even a one-handed weapon? Two-handed?

jakarta
2017-06-25, 01:16 PM
CRACK! The Hammer shines as Kat brings it down.

@rrk-whine- ark SNARLL!

He didn't like that! Still Standing and now seriously angry.

JbeJ275
2017-06-25, 03:01 PM
Panicked the vicous attacks of the cyote-things Oliver hands the sword to Kat before booking it off into the darkness.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-06-25, 10:24 PM
"What? Oliver, where did you get this?! Oliver!"

jakarta
2017-06-25, 10:45 PM
The sword-n-stone, being very unbalanced, awkwardly flipping to the ground near Kat's feet.

The Coyotes attack again.

On John,

On Kat, [roll[1d20

(John, Kat, or Marty may go next.)

jakarta
2017-06-25, 10:48 PM
Attack on Kat [roll0]

jakarta
2017-06-25, 10:50 PM
(can I not do dice notation today?edit, oh, submitting too fast)
[roll0]

The snapping Jaws miss.

Eric Scott
2017-06-25, 11:28 PM
Marty seeing that Katherine and John seem to be handling the coyotes and that Oliver has run off, attempts to communicate with the tree with the face, Hello. I'm not sure if you can understand me but, is there anything I might do to help you?

jakarta
2017-06-25, 11:37 PM
'owww' creaks the tree as it turns to expose the spike in its trunk.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-06-26, 01:37 AM
About 80% of Katherine's brain is quite certain that stopping to pick up a heavy Arthurian prop is a stupid idea. That part of her brain is still withdrawn and shivering in the face of talking trees and werebeasts. She switches hands and brandishes the clawhammer in the beast's face as she retrieves Oliver's gift.

Standard action: fight defensively

[roll0]+1 vs. AC
Potential damage: [roll1]+3
Special: +2 AC for the round

5-foot step (avoid attack of opportunity)

Move action: pick up Awful Sword by the hilt

LairdMaon
2017-06-26, 02:33 AM
John is seeing red as he advances on the coyote once more.

To Hit [roll0]
To Hurt [roll1]

jakarta
2017-06-26, 03:25 AM
Kat clocks the Coyote between the eyes, steps, reaches for the 'awful' sword...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zIoElk3r2c

With a surge of energy and spakels, Katherine the Lawyer becomes Katherine the Holy Knight, polished platinum and royal blue scale-male assembleing itself around her from the hilt of the sword to encase her body.

This is her sword. She knows how to wield it, and what to do with it.

Her awe-some sword....

She instinctively shifts to a one handed high guard, gauntlet-ed off hand raised defensively as if shield baring.

Ray's of light beam from the sword, striking her companions as the Coyotes take a startled step back.

In a burst of green with swirls of black, John is suddenly clad in a green and black...Robin Hood meets Batman get up...

(Somewhere between http://i870.photobucket.com/albums/ab265/xhal_jordanx/HalTransformingintoGL_zpsa165e002.gif

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHnsMKQJBDA)

In an explosion of windblown leaves and bird calls, Marty spouts a ZZ Top beard interlaced with Ivy down below his belt, and is wearing green wizard robe trimmed in Autumn leaves, all topped by a green Grandolf Hat. Flowers spring up at his feet.

Oliver, who hadn't backed away too far sees all of this, is struck by his own ray, and hears the opening bars of Let is go as ice crystals start dancing around him and begin to coalesces into a diaphanous gown- AH HELL NO!-----

A 'Slam on breaks' sound FX sounds as Oliver puts his foot down. He ain't havin dis! He hand swipes causing a 'Needle jump' sound fx as he wills a different transformation scene into being, and a unseen band bursts into a Heavy Metal fast swing rendition of Puttin on the Ritz. In a ripple of blue energy from the top hat down, a blue tuxedo stage magician suit drops onto his body complete with blue diamond cuff links. Lifting the hat above his head, a pimp cane/microphone drops perfectly out of the hat into his other, white gloved hand.

Glancing up, Oliver notices something in the hat, and just going with the insanity of the scene, he upends the hat his side, taps it with his can, and with a musical TA-DAH, Lucy and Mincemeat drop out of the hat to the ground, still snuggled on the doggy mattress. They look up in sleepy confusion. Lucy registers 'John fighting with coyotes' and dashes snarling to the flank of the nearest one. Hit by a final beam from the sword, she expands into a lion sized Dire Poodle.

Mincemeat seems a bit left out, but then someone from off stage tosses him a top hat, he doffs it, and joins Oliver in just looking cool.

(Just for fun, since I couldn't find a metal version of Ritz, or a green wizard transformation I liked.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RT8wwODgaOs

jakarta
2017-06-26, 03:41 AM
John drops the Coyote.

The droppings fall from the other Coyote.

Eric Scott
2017-06-26, 04:31 AM
Marty slightly taken aback by the sudden change of appearance looks down at what has become of him, Well then... Then looks back up to the tree with a smirk, Lets see if we can't do something about that spike, shall we?

jakarta
2017-06-26, 05:04 AM
The tree seems amenable.

JbeJ275
2017-06-26, 08:48 AM
Holy S*** Oliver grins almost manically his hear suddenly turning into adrenaline, "Well let's see what this baby can do" he says walking back towards the coyotes while pointing the cane at them. I can pull things from nowhere, let's see if I can make them disappear.

jakarta
2017-06-26, 09:27 AM
(Taking some liberties with Oliver)

"Ab-bra-Ka-f**n-Da-bra- B***H! Ka-POW!" Oliver punctuates with a stoke of his cane.

and the coyote disappears....But, Oliver thinks, and voices, "Wait...that's not right..." thinking he just made their opponent invisible...

Meanwhile, John and Kat still see the coyote, and the thin sheet of 'rock wall' pattern paper between the coyote and Oliver.

(silent image is the most disappearing you can do at level one.)

LairdMaon
2017-06-26, 09:43 AM
John's attention is pulled entirely to his loyal dog. "Lucy Fur?"

When she runs to flank the last coyote, he roars with joy and fury, "GOOD GIRL! KEEP HIM BUSY!"

He adjusts to make full use of the flank.

To Hit [roll0]
To Hurt [roll1]

JbeJ275
2017-06-26, 11:57 AM
(Taking some liberties with Oliver)

"Ab-bra-Ka-f**n-Da-bra- B***H! Ka-POW!" Oliver punctuates with a stoke of his cane.

and the coyote disappears....But, Oliver thinks, and voices, "Wait...that's not right..." thinking he just made their opponent invisible...

Meanwhile, John and Kat still see the coyote, and the thin sheet of 'rock wall' pattern paper between the coyote and Oliver.

(silent image is the most disappearing you can do at level one.)

Oliver yells at the empty air Do you not understand subtext or something!? He then face palms.

Eric Scott
2017-06-26, 12:23 PM
Marty not entirely sure how to deal with the spike stuck in the tree, attempts to pull it out with his bare hands.

jakarta
2017-06-26, 12:38 PM
Marty grabs the spike....
Roll a heal check with a +4 bonus.

Eric Scott
2017-06-26, 12:44 PM
Heal check: [roll0]

jakarta
2017-06-26, 12:49 PM
Green Wizard now has an iron spike covered in juniper ent sap.

The I'm is no longer bothered by the spike. Do you intend to heal it?

Eric Scott
2017-06-26, 01:17 PM
Might as well try to heal the tree.

jakarta
2017-06-26, 03:42 PM
Marty thinks compassionately, and his hand glows softly.
There, there....
His touch heals the tree and it sprouts a tiny new branch from the former injury site.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-06-26, 05:34 PM
Kat just kind of lets the surrounding madness wash over her as she hold the last coyote at swordpoint. Even if all of these special effects are real, it's probably best to deal with them one at a time.

"So, how does the rest of this dream go? Are you a dark impulse to be excised, or a lost soul to be preserved? Speak!"

She glances at the beast's fallen comrade. Do they talk? Do they breathe? Or do they simply vanish into dust?

If the creature talks or submits, Katherine can lower her weapons and go to the proverbial negotiating table. If it attacks or lunges toward someone else... well, sometimes a monster is just a monster.

Attack roll: [roll0] +5 +????

jakarta
2017-06-26, 07:08 PM
They are both bleeding. You look down to see if the fallen one is breathing....and the other takes the opportunity to lunge for your throat.

Kat and John react simultaneously. She drives the sword though its mouth and out the top of the skull at about the same instant he decapitates it at the shoulder.

Held aloft by the sword, the head starts burning at the point of contact with the metal, and disintegrates.

JbeJ275
2017-06-27, 06:47 AM
Oliver is staring wide eyed at his staff. Well this is f****ing cool, let's see if it can do anything else, maybe help us find a way back. With that he bears the can above his head and declares. Let there be light b****es!

jakarta
2017-06-27, 06:52 AM
The cane starts glowing brightly.

Spot checks everyone.

jakarta
2017-06-27, 02:39 PM
Marty sees :Three eyes peeking through a one inch wide vertical crack in the rock wall. The crack goes up about 4 meters. The eyes are each about a foot apart, and can't belong to the same person.

Meanwhile...anybody looting the corpses?

Eric Scott
2017-06-27, 04:01 PM
Hey... umm... Are any of you seeing this? Marty says while pointing at a crack in the rock wall. I mean it looks like there are eyes in it... which is both disturbing and intriguing... Hey shrugs, Maybe its friendly?

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-06-27, 04:05 PM
Katherine looks toward Oliver just to identify the new light source, and her gaze moves from there to John to her own costume and back to the sword in her hand.

"Where did this thing come from?"

As answers to that question are not forthcoming, she moves on to approach Druid-Marty and Tree Friend. "How are things going over here? Feeling better?"

LairdMaon
2017-06-27, 05:44 PM
John calls Lucy back to his side before checking both corpses. He shoves them around with the axe blade before cleaning it with a spare rag.

"Well, that. That was something.
What are you looking at there, Marty?"

jakarta
2017-06-27, 10:48 PM
John, search check.

"AAALLLL BETTEEEERR" creaks the trees.

Kat joins Marty, looking at the crack. The eyes grow wide and disappear from the crack.

there are muffled concerned whispers from behind the rock wall...

Eric Scott
2017-06-28, 12:23 AM
Noticing the eyes disappear, Marty gently says, Oh hey, don't be afraid we wish you no harm. Is there anything I might be able to do for you?

jakarta
2017-06-28, 09:02 AM
The tree seems like he doesn't know what to do when Marty starts talking to the wall behind it. He settles for literally looking the other way and pretending that he doesn't notice that Marty is talking to the wall.

JbeJ275
2017-06-28, 10:59 AM
Oliver saunters towards the crack, attempting to put his cane closer to the gap so they can see what's inside.

jakarta
2017-06-28, 11:10 AM
Looks like there is space back there.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-06-28, 01:19 PM
"Is someone watching us?" Katherine watches Oliver approach the wall and looks to Marty, who seems to have been messed up most of all by whatever her sword did. "Alright. Let's go get some answers."

She stomps up to the rock wall - at least, it sounds like she's stomping thanks to all this armor - and knocks five times with her gauntlet. "Hello-o? It should be safe to come out now. Or is there another entrance where we should meet you?"

jakarta
2017-06-28, 02:44 PM
While knocking she notices that the crack gets smaller with each knock.

LairdMaon
2017-06-28, 03:18 PM
John and Lucy Fur step forward and place themselves where they can be ready in case danger pours out of that crack.

JbeJ275
2017-06-28, 03:20 PM
Well, I can't see how the hell this would work but the universe doesn't seem to give a **** right now. With that he dramatically shouts OPEN SEASAME!

jakarta
2017-06-28, 04:15 PM
(amused GM)

The door opens.
A ten foot tall, pair of rock doors swing outward slowly enough for you to step out of the way.

Behind them is blackness.... Oh, a slightly parted set of black curtains.....

JbeJ275
2017-06-28, 04:49 PM
Very carefully Oliver reaches out with his cane, trying to pull aside the curtain, he beckons John to stay close behind him.

LairdMaon
2017-06-28, 05:14 PM
John and Lucy keep within easy striking reach of Oliver.

jakarta
2017-06-28, 05:29 PM
The curtains must be linked together. As you draw back one, the other also parts.

You find the Blond woman from your dreams! and she does have pointed ears!....and ....HEEEEL-LOOOO CLEAVELAND!

http://www.desktopimages.org/pictures/2012/0204/1/cleavage-long-hair-artwork-necklaces-anime-butterflies-chen-1920x1200-wallpaper-485571.jpg

And Thighland!
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1011/5360/products/anime_girl_ass_breasts_cleavage_flowers_green_eyes _green_hair_hunie_pop_long_hair_rose_1024x1024.jpg ?v=1478534143

Dammit boy, close your mouth, Eye contact.....the bluest...deep eyes...

https://wallpaperscraft.com/image/anime_girl_hair_blue_headphones_620_602x339.jpg

OK! BREAK eye contact. Big picture time....why is she chained to a rock?
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/84/1d/3d/841d3d6b43f449ebf48b260fe62e5ac1.jpg

Wait, she ain't alone...

There are a couple of coyotes standing next to her.....but they look more like short actors in Lion King on Broadway Hyena costumes...
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/05/60/b1/0560b11470e44f5aa40314a9c4d4e6c7.jpg

And Lucy and Mincement are both just standing there....wait, yep, both still behind you, and Lucy is still lion sized...

and there are some little people holding clipboards with spiral bond documents on them...
http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/photo/three-elves-holding-clipboards-high-res-stock-photography/200272560-004

And they all have a 'oh, s*** they caught us' look on their faces. The tree has the same look now.

World Trade Federation....

Eric Scott
2017-06-28, 05:43 PM
Marty nonplussed, takes a step forward and asks, Anyone want a brownie?

JbeJ275
2017-06-28, 07:02 PM
As Oliver takes a look. Well, heloo ladies give me one minute will you?
He then turns to the rest of the group. Is everyone seeing the same thing as me?

LairdMaon
2017-06-28, 08:04 PM
"Stand down, Lucy. But, keep on your guard. There's too much going on here..." John's voice trails off, and he lowers his axe.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-06-29, 12:28 AM
Katherine throws a sideways glare at Marty as she replies to Oliver. "If you're seeing a girl chained to a rock surrounded by costumed researchers, then yes."

She turns her glare of disapproval toward the little people. She makes no threats, but it should be noted that she has yet to put her sword away.

"Explain yourselves."

Eric Scott
2017-06-29, 12:47 AM
In response to Katherine's glare, What? If we offer barter we can theoretically deal with this situation with minimal loss. We can rescue a maiden and can avoid making enemies. Or it's rejected. Either way, I'm not the bad guy.

jakarta
2017-06-29, 12:58 AM
"Cut!...well, obviously..." says the little person folk singer from the lodge as he walks in from off stage.

"This was never going to work anyway, even if those tree hugger clowns hadn't bumbled in, or even if the real windigos hadn't shown up. This just wasn't going to work from the beginning anyway. The only thing that did work was them." he says nodding towards the Kat, Marty, Oliver, and John. "Just let me handle it form here until Demi is ready. Glam, Roscoe, Cleatis, .. Just get out of costume. Cecil, you ok?"

The tree responds, "OOOOH KAAAY NOWW", as the girl does the quick release on the (apparently) stripper bondage cuffs, and Lucy reaches up and pulls her head off, revealing another little person. Mincemeat turns around gesturing towards his back and the guys with the clip boards start helping him with the zipper in the back...

Meanwhile, the real(?) Lucy is still behind you and supersized, and the real (?) Mincemeat is still wearing the top hat. They are both on all 4s at least.

"How about you guys come it, we'll sit down and have some caramel Frap-pincinnos, and I'll lay out what is going on for you?" He gestures down a hallway inside to rock....

Eric Scott
2017-06-29, 02:20 AM
See? I said "maybe its friendly", and it is. Marty says as he eats a brownie. And their offering Frappuccinos? I mean, sure it seems too good to be true but really, who am I to judge? Marty holds out a Ziploc bag of brownies in offering to everyone individually before starting to walk towards the corridor.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-06-29, 03:23 AM
"Hm. Alright, thank you." Katherine puts away her sword and joins the group for brownies and coffee. She wants to stay quiet and assess things for a minute before apologizing or jumping to further conclusions.

JbeJ275
2017-06-29, 07:24 AM
Oliver picks up his mincemeat and enters the cave opening.

jakarta
2017-06-29, 07:30 AM
Kat realizes a minute later that she knew where the scabbard was and required no effort to 'put away' the sword.

jakarta
2017-06-29, 08:51 AM
Following the gnome down the corridor...which seems to be carved a bit too perfectly into the rock, you pass many side chambers. Some seem to be design rooms filled with drafting tables, others are bunk rooms, forge and assembly rooms, TV watching areas, map rooms, about a dozen different coffee booths...... at least 3 of which are Starbucks, carpentry and stonework areas, and pretty much a whole hardware store.

Milling about, some ignoring you completely, some seeming off-put by your presence, and some looking at you almost worship-fully with a hope-filled look, are dozens of 'little people'. Some are more dwarfish, others more gnomish, and others more hobbitish....and some look like Kebbler Krispy elves from Santa's bakery. They have every combination of rounded or pointed ears, big or small noses, big or small feet, and are dressed in fashions from Ren-fair to 'steam punk', with a few in National Park Service merchandise t shirts and polar fleeces, .... and footy pajamas. Many of them are carrying coffee or take out soda cups.

Your guide is wearing a grey Members Only jacket and jeans.

He leads you into a larger gallery containing.... A Waffle House?...and a Mac Donalds.....and a Starbucks.....

It looks like someone made fullsize mock ups of restaurants, put the different sections on coasters, and then arranged them for access to all of them. The Waffle House booths have the window glass next to them, but the glass is only 1/2 height. All together there is Mac D order counter with a kitchen behind it... with extra price sign boards for Burger King, Wendy's, Arbie's, Carl Jr's, Jack in the Box, Krystal's, and, White Castle, and Dairy Queen.... A hostess stand and buffet from a Showney's, ....two different styles of Star Bucks counters, the grill and food prep area from a Waffel House, and what might be a Hamutara style Japanese grill, and seating areas form MacDonalds, Waffle House, and those old style Pizza Hut tables with the Tiffany style lamps. You smell pizza, and all the food scents associated with the various fast food chains.

Around the outside of the sets are couches and beanbag chairs and tvs with game consoles and a scattering of coffee table and end tables and retro video games.

Your guide asks one of the waiters to set out some kibble and hotdogs for the puppies, and starts to usher the guys into an over-sized booth.

Meanwhile, the Elf woman takes Kat by the elbow and pulls her aside...

Leaning in close, she quietly asks as though requesting one of the secrets of the universe, "How do you get these to Jiggle?" She half hops to demonstrate, her bussums only bouncing slightly twice. "No matter what I go I can't get them to act like in the simulators." she finishes, jerking her thumb at one TV area with a stack of Anime Dvds and ....a couple of disks of Volley Ball games. Seeing that the boys are already seated, she says "Oh, just tell me later." and pulls Kat beside her into the booth across from the boys.

The Gnome pulls a stool up to the end of the table and climbs atop it while a couple of waiters pass out frapps. The good ones with no whip and the caramel sauce blended in instead of just drizzled....

The Gnome takes a slurp from his straw, Ahhs appreciatively, and begins.

"My name is Carl. I'm a Gnome. This is Gal, or you can call her GM. She is an Elf. Would you like to order anything before we begin? We got pretty much everything."

LairdMaon
2017-06-29, 09:03 AM
John feel utterly lost and dazed by the near normalcy of, well, everything he sees throughout the trip to their table. He is quiet for the most part aside from muttered reassurances to Lucy Fur.

When "Carl" introduces himself, John starts. "Wait, begin? Begin what? What's going on here?"

jakarta
2017-06-29, 09:12 AM
"Well, let's get comfortable, this might take a while. That is in the way." He says indicating the battleaxe. "Just think 'Put it away.".

Turning to the others..."You two can just put your cane and staff into your hats." Looking over his shoulder he calls out, "Can you bring that hat rack over here?". Turning to Kat, "You can just lean your scabbard against the edge of the booth here."

JbeJ275
2017-06-29, 10:44 AM
As Oliver slides his hat down his cane he say's "Of course I can, don't know why I'm surprised anymore

LairdMaon
2017-06-29, 10:56 AM
"Put it away." John starts again when the battleaxe vanishes from his grip.

"Yeeeeah... I'm going up need a solid explanation for all of this." he pulls out his smartphone to take pics and vids of everything going on sound them all.

jakarta
2017-06-29, 11:01 AM
"GM, you want a Caesar? "

"Oh yes! With Shrimp!" she bubbles.

"Ok, Hey, can we get a Shrimp Caesar, A large Pepperoni, and an Cheese? What do you guys want to eat? Really, its no problem. And a Picther of Coke Classic and a Pichter of Strawberry soda."

jakarta
2017-06-29, 11:04 AM
"Put it away." John starts again when the battleaxe vanishes from his grip.

"Yeeeeah... I'm going up need a solid explanation for all of this." he pulls out his smartphone to take pics and vids of everything going on sound them all.

John's hatchetman tattoo starts to itch a bit. Using the mirror ap on the phone he checks it and discovers that the cleaver has been replaced by a battle axe.

"Now think, 'Down Girl'." Suggests Carl to John.

"And some of that fruit tea that GM likes." calls Carl to the waiters.

LairdMaon
2017-06-29, 11:06 AM
"Nothing for me, thanks."

He looks over at Lucy Fur and thinks "Down girl."

jakarta
2017-06-29, 11:13 AM
Lucy shrinks back to her usual size. Doesn't seem harmed.

"Suit yourself. If you get hungry let us know." Turning to Oliver "We got fast food cheese steak, and real cheese steak, or steak, or deep dish...whole pizza menu.... Italian, Greek, and California."

JbeJ275
2017-06-29, 11:33 AM
Lucy shrinks back to her usual size. Doesn't seem harmed.

"Suit yourself. If you get hungry let us know." Turning to Oliver "We got fast food cheese steak, and real cheese steak, or steak, or deep dish...whole pizza menu.... Italian, Greek, and California."

I'll take a barbecue meat feast pizza, one of those pizza hut things with ice-cream on a cookie base, a bottle of coke and a motherf***ing explanation.

jakarta
2017-06-29, 11:43 AM
"You got that order? Good, Now on the Coke, you want corn syrup, or one of the Mexican bottled ones with the cane sugar?...think it over ..." turning to Kat, "If you want to take the armour off just hold the sword or scabbard and think 'bracelet'."

Eric Scott
2017-06-29, 12:41 PM
Marty having just been sitting silently for the past couple moments finally says something, Just a few things first. First the gals name is Gal and the juniors name is Carl... that's great! Really easy to remember too. Second, in terms of food as long as its edible I'm not fussed by what it is. Third, there actually isn't a difference between Coke and Mexicoke, unless yours isn't actually Mexicoke and is actually made with cane sugar, either way I'm not picky of beverage so long as it isn't overtly poisonous. And finally, while I understand you say I can just put this staff in my hat, I'd rather just keep my staff hanging out for all to see.

jakarta
2017-06-29, 01:01 PM
"Well, I can taste the difference, and the label says it's cane. What ever, ONE OF EACH, let's see if the kid can tell the difference, AND Some beefy cheese nachos with extra cilantro.... for the table."

"Explanations. Small picture first. We use this room to train new arrivals. How to order food, hold down a service job, using money.... Most of us aren't from around here..."

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-06-29, 02:06 PM
After being confused all over again by GM's weird question, Katherine's expression seems blank as she's led down the corridor to the gnomish food court.

I was still determined to take this seriously. Even an illusory version of this would be far too massive an undertaking for a practical joke.

With the exception of Gal M., not a single person in the complex is more than four feet tall. That's roughly the only thing they have physically in common; only a few resemble people with what one might call proper dwarfism. The rest look more like characters from Lord of the Rings and other folklore.

GM's demeanor would seem to imply that she has never met another human being as tall as she is. The bizarre nature of her question would further imply that, for whatever reason, she has been kept from any sort of live-action media that would inform her of what such people actually look like. I can't help but wonder whether someone has been feeding her a particular genre of fiction since childhood in hopes that she would mimic it as an adult. If so, they seem to have succeeded.

The cave itself has an air of an alien species dedicated to studying human culture as thoroughly as possible before making first contact. Actually, a more apt comparison might be to the immigration center from Men in Black.

"Okay. Thank you." She detaches her scabbard belt and sets it down as though she had done it a hundred times, then uses its power to change back into her hiking clothes. She quietly lets Carl and GM introduce themselves and start their explanation and nods at his pause.

"Go on."

jakarta
2017-06-29, 02:22 PM
"How's your fapp? Would you like anything to eat?"

Kat finds herself wearing a charm bracelet with a little sword and a claw hammer on it.

The pepperoni and cheese pizzas arrive, along with GM's salad and the nachos and drinks.

"Your Pizza's gonna take another few minutes kid.".

Waiters bring plates and glasses and set out pitchers. GM starts on her salad and Carl takes a nibble of pizza.

"You know all the weird stuff that in the news? Well, for a couple years we have been trying to recruit people who we could train to stop it of slow it down. First we went out to talk to candidates directly at their homes... we got treated like Jehovah's Witnesses. Most of the time they wouldn't even come to the door. When they did they thought it was a scam. Sure you don't want something John?"

LairdMaon
2017-06-29, 02:35 PM
John keeps his cell phone camera recording this little man. "Oh yeah, I'm sure. I ate plenty back in the real world."

jakarta
2017-06-29, 02:51 PM
"So then, instead of going in person, we started sending out invitations by dreams. But most of those just started binge watching Anime and pirating Game of Thrones. The few who did come talked to DM, our wizard- he's Human. He tried to explain the situation to them, but they all thought he was crazy or running a con. Didn't work.

So the next group, we met them first, let them talk to DM afterwards... They thought we were a marketing campaign for Peter Jackson's Hobbit movies, or the new World of Warcraft patch. The few we got to believe us about the magic either checked themselves (back) into rehab, or when they woke up the next morning, decided it was a dream and went home.

So, this time we thought we would try something different...."

JbeJ275
2017-06-29, 03:41 PM
Oliver almost snickers Did you ever have anyone thinking they were on a drug trip?

jakarta
2017-06-29, 03:45 PM
"One of them interrupted me to call his Doctor to request new meds. A couple tried to ignore me like I wasn't there and would go away if they didn't pay attention."

Eric Scott
2017-06-29, 04:24 PM
I'm so sorry to hear that, interacting with your delusions is the best part, it helps you learn who you are as a person. For them to just ignore you, it's to say they wouldn't have been willing to help either way. Marty says with a slightly tinge of grief.

jakarta
2017-06-29, 04:32 PM
"Eh...yeah." replies the gnome, not quite parsing Marty's meaning and deciding not to. "What's your favorite pizza topping? or we got some Great Chimichagas... Katherine? You want something? "

jakarta
2017-06-30, 02:11 AM
To John: "Does that use a blackberry charger? CAN WE GET A PHONE CHARGER KIT? If you need to to pause while you change SD cards, let me know."

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-06-30, 02:47 AM
"I think I'll just mooch off of the cheese pizza, if that's alright. You can probably imagine that I'm a bit more preoccupied with, well, all of this. The so-called return of magic." Katherine takes another sip of her frappuchino, trying her best to retain a sense of calm in this strange environment. It's okay, as far as frappuchinos go.

"You say you intend to train us to stop it. My first question is, why? Has this occurred on other worlds as well? Did your own appearance here not follow from the same phenomenon?"

JbeJ275
2017-06-30, 06:04 AM
Marty having just been sitting silently for the past couple moments finally says something, Just a few things first. First the gals name is Gal and the juniors name is Carl... that's great! Really easy to remember too. Second, in terms of food as long as its edible I'm not fussed by what it is. Third, there actually isn't a difference between Coke and Mexicoke, unless yours isn't actually Mexicoke and is actually made with cane sugar, either way I'm not picky of beverage so long as it isn't overtly poisonous. And finally, while I understand you say I can just put this staff in my hat, I'd rather just keep my staff hanging out for all to see.

At the first opportunity Oliver stage whispers "Now is really not the time to argue about drinks.

jakarta
2017-06-30, 06:09 AM
"I think I'll just mooch off of the cheese pizza, if that's alright. You can probably imagine that I'm a bit more preoccupied with, well, all of this. The so-called return of magic." Katherine takes another sip of her frappuchino, trying her best to retain a sense of calm in this strange environment. It's okay, as far as frappuchinos go.

"You say you intend to train us to stop it. My first question is, why? Has this occurred on other worlds as well? Did your own appearance here not follow from the same phenomenon?"

"Well, your world is a special case... but I'll let DM explain the historical stuff.

And as for training, it is too late now. Years for failure with recruiting before the crises point, and now it is already here. We needed to jumpstart things."

jakarta
2017-06-30, 07:21 AM
"On the recruiting, since explaining what was going on first wasn't working, some of us thought we should try a 'quick start card', 'introductory adventure' thing. Give you a taste of being Heroes, and feed you bits of the larger plot as we go. ... Let Green Lantern find the ring and play with some bank robbers before finding out he's signed up for being an intergalatic cop and Despero and Starro and Darkseid are on the way.... Have a webslinging adventure before Uncle Ben dies and you find out about Galactus coming for dinner....

Others, .... well we thought we just needed to wait for the right candidates...

So tonight didn't work out, OR maybe it did. Those wannabe environmental terrorist bumbled in and decided to protect Cecil from the possibility of being cut down by the park service for trail maintenance (he's no where near a trail), and the real windigos showed up before we could put GM in position for you to 'rescue'.

But you guys did great!"

He is interrupted by a waiter arriving with a tray with 3 different kinds of mobile chargers, offered to John. He his trailing a drop cord attached to a power strip.

LairdMaon
2017-06-30, 07:55 AM
John accepts the android charger cable, "Don't worry, I've got two sd cards in this phone. Big ones. Hell, two phone numbers, too."

jakarta
2017-06-30, 08:06 AM
"Would you like a mobile power bank with a plutonium reactor in it? It is a bit bigger than your phone and has enough juice for space probe going to Pluto and back...the long way..."

LairdMaon
2017-06-30, 08:10 AM
"Did... did you really just offer me a nuclear reactor? For my cell phone?"

jakarta
2017-06-30, 08:20 AM
"It's smaller than the one we were gonna put in your truck....", He slides the nachos closer to John "....but if you don't want to work with us, we can scrap it for parts...and the braided tungsten cable winch...and the superchargers....and the rest of the Batman/James Bond package." He pours a glass of Coke and sets it in front of John.

LairdMaon
2017-06-30, 08:26 AM
"Gee, can I get a flux capacitor and all the bits needed to use it installed as well?"

jakarta
2017-06-30, 08:29 AM
"No, but we can give you a really nice coo-coo clock. All wood, hand crafted."

LairdMaon
2017-06-30, 08:30 AM
"Thanks, but I'll pass on the clock." John takes a sip of water to wet his rather dry mouth.

jakarta
2017-06-30, 09:17 AM
"Anyway, we don't have 2 years of time to teach someone how to be a wizard, or how to hold a sword properly,... so we made items that unlock the inner potential of people to be heroes. If you have the potential, and the desire to be a hero, you can unlock the item, and the item unlocks you. You pick up the Holy Sword, and if part of you always wanted to be a Champion of Justice, you feel like you spent most of your life learning to be a Knight, instead of College, Law School, and Clerking. Instead of defending people in court, you can now defend them from Evil."

JbeJ275
2017-06-30, 03:04 PM
So what makes us so bloody special? Sure Kats a lawyer and from the Marty here is some sorta science guy. I guess Johns tough and knows stuff about guns and trucks and **** but are you really telling me there's no marine commander you could drag underground instead of getting me into the middle of this?

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-06-30, 03:08 PM
"I see." To be honest, Katherine hadn't really considered her newfound proficiency beyond which end is the pointy bit. "Oliver does raise a good question. Given the technology at your disposal, what's to stop you from simply employing it yourselves?"

LairdMaon
2017-06-30, 03:15 PM
"Here's a thought, who decided who counts as evil? Is that an arbitrary thing?"

jakarta
2017-06-30, 05:05 PM
"We aren't talking about relativistic, 'trolley problem', 'which is worse' morality. I mean EVIL. Eating your head last because its more fun to hear you scream as you watch me eat your feet, after I eat your baby" EVIL.

As for the Roe vs Wade, steal to feed my family, tax cheat stuff,.... We want that in your hands. Its your world.

You showed up. Plenty of military types got the same invitation and didn't. But they already have a mission in life, an allegiance to something. Something they might be more loyal to than 'the world', or 'all man kind'. Maybe a 'just following orders' mentality that stopped them from finding an excuse to come here, and might stop them from doing what they think is right if their superiors have different ideas.

And your government.... can't figure out that climate change isn't a 'fairy tale',..... whose best solution to spending billions more money than it has is to go into debt to your philosophical enemies so you can have a 'trillion with a T' budget.......who prefers mythical clean coal to nuclear..... We'ed rather have 4 individuals than a larger group who is more worried about getting re-elected than still having a planet to live on.

But we don't want to rule you. Not impose ourselves on you. Not take over for you. Just enable you to handle it.

And kid, you are in the middle of it whether you want to be or not. But is seems you want to be, or you wouldn't have come. "

LairdMaon
2017-06-30, 05:08 PM
"Huh. Interesting logic. Alright,
what else do we need to know?"

jakarta
2017-06-30, 05:27 PM
"We'll to start with, the only drugged food here are Marty's brownies. And if you wanted to drug you, do you really think the factory seal on the water bottle would help? Eat up already."

LairdMaon
2017-06-30, 05:33 PM
"I suppose you make a point.
Have any Hawaiian in here?"

jakarta
2017-06-30, 05:37 PM
"Pizza or Punch? and yes. and all the flavors." https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQDxXIga89HIcx-62uN-MpF6KiWMOLNr_6LMBGPm8B3YNsab7au

LairdMaon
2017-06-30, 05:41 PM
"Hawaiian pizza. I'll take a Faygo to drink. Red Pop flavor."

jakarta
2017-06-30, 05:46 PM
"Do you want actual Spam on the pizza, or Canadian Bacon, or pulled ham or a combination?"

LairdMaon
2017-06-30, 05:49 PM
"Hmmm... All of the above. Plus bacon."

jakarta
2017-06-30, 06:20 PM
"You Get That Chuck? ok. Probably 25 minutes on that as he has to slice up the spam.

As far as technology goes, we have some raw materials we brought with us, and we have some miniaturization tech that's better than yours, but mostly, if we can build it then so could your engineers.

The thing is, we've got magic. But magic and Tech doesn't always work well together. You can't make a magic bullet. Well, you could, but there's no point as the bang from the gunpowder would knock the magic off. You can't enchant the gun for the same reason. A lot of magical creatures are resistant to non magical damage. You hit em with enough explosives and armor piercing rounds you can eventually whittle them down, but a properly enchanted sword is more effective than a F 16, and with less collateral damage."

JbeJ275
2017-06-30, 06:29 PM
Oliver reaches back into the hat trying to pull out the staff. "So what sort if bulls*** can I pull with this thing, and more importantly what do you want us to do? While the government couldn't pass aid reforms if it was choking in it's own **** they do have the aircraft carriers, jet fighters and spy satellites that come in handy. I mean wandering around and zapping magic stuff looks cool but I don't think it'll really help.

jakarta
2017-06-30, 06:43 PM
"Your government's got nukes. You want them to drop one on Cincinnati? Or march the Army in? You guys can be more precise. A skirmish instead of a war. And there will be times that all the tanks at Fort Knox wouldn't make as much of a difference as that cane."

Oliver can pull the cane out.

"Some of it is the cane, some of it is the hat, some of it is you kid. You'll meet your trainer in the morning. You'll learn what you can do and what your limits are. You all will. Kid, you and Marty will have more of a learning curve, but the more experience you get the more powerful and precise effects you'll be able to produce."

JbeJ275
2017-06-30, 06:51 PM
Yeah but if some sort of demon turned up in Tokyo tonight, can you guys get us there? Cause otherwise there is something of a problem in your plans, unless you want us to guard like ten city blocks alone.

jakarta
2017-06-30, 06:56 PM
"There are already demons in Tokyo. They aren't a priority. We wouldn't send you after them untrained anyway. But the portal room is down the hall and puts you out at any train station on the Circle Line."

Eric Scott
2017-06-30, 09:47 PM
Of course there are demons in Tokyo, ever heard of Oni? They are believed to be either demons, devils, ogres or trolls. I would guess they've also got dragons too. Right?

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-07-01, 02:15 AM
"Huh... come to think of it, I'm not sure if the appearance of these creatures has necessarily... matched their mythical origins, geographically. I'm not sure why it would, unless they're literally forming out from the local zeitgeist or something."

To take Carl at his word, this would mean that we are essentially saddled with discerning the likes of normal immigrants such as elves, gnomes, and ents from the likes of true monsters such as the demon, the dragon, and the big bad wolf. It would seem that my gut reaction from earlier was derived from the sword's power to detect the latter. I believe that he believes what he's saying, but in the face of a conscious opponent we will have to conduct ourselves as though he is mistaken.

Somewhere between his tangents, Carl lost the original intent of my question, but I couldn't bring myself to repeat it. The most it would have done was press him into admitting that no one in his number has the will to fight.

Katherine finishes her iced coffee and switches to water for the evening.

"Alright. I guess I'll withhold further questions about our task until we meet the wizard in the morning. Am I to guess that we're staying the night here?"

It's a simple yes or no question. Kat finally picks up a slice of pizza.

"So, you seem to know a lot about us. Tell us more about yourselves! Where are you from?"

jakarta
2017-07-01, 03:51 AM
Of course there are demons in Tokyo, ever heard of Oni? They are believed to be either demons, devils, ogres or trolls. I would guess they've also got dragons too. Right?

"Yeah, there is the old 'anime translation problem'. Somethings that are called an oni or a kami in one culture look more like a goblin or a demon to another. There are lots of low powered stuff in Japan and they are mostly harmless or just nuisances , but a few 'western' 'soul eating batwinged' demon types have popped up there as well. The Yakuza and the dragons are keeping them in check.

As for culture specific monsters, in some cases they are native. Went dormant or into low power forms waiting for magic to return. They are waking up now. But just cause they are local doesn't mean they won't eat people, so they need to be handled.

Others, well, your plane bumps up against the neighboring ones and sometimes images or even creatures slip though. The planes with the stereo-typical Japanese monsters are tangent to this plane near Japan.

And finally, sometimes teleportation spells and effects take you where you are expected to be, rather than where you expect to go. So we get blue eyed white dragons turning up in Japan looking for the wizard who summoned them after a Yu-gi-oh rerun, and we have to make periodic cross country collection runs to pick up baby monsters from the homes of Pokemon GO players who are trying to keep them as pets. We got a ranch in Utah we send them to until we can send them to a suitable plane."

jakarta
2017-07-01, 06:37 AM
"We've got rooms set up for you, or you can stay at the park lodge. Up to you.

We'll leave backstories to DM. Enough to say that I'm one of the advanced scouts, so I've been here the longest. You guys still confuse the heck out of me though."

LairdMaon
2017-07-01, 08:50 AM
"I'll go ahead and sleep here if you don't mind too much. You have a Wi-Fi set up in here?"

jakarta
2017-07-01, 08:58 AM
"There is a separate wifi server for each of you. Your first name is the name and the passward is your social security number....the real one... Google might give you some grief because the location will show you are on the dark side of the moon." he finishes with a smug expression.

John's pizza arrives, with an extra side of bacon.

LairdMaon
2017-07-01, 09:03 AM
John is two bites into his first slice of pizza when it hits him, "You have our social security numbers?!"

jakarta
2017-07-01, 09:07 AM
"Everything Google, the NSA, and Chinese Intelligence knows about you, we know. Though we can't make heads or tales of most of it. "

LairdMaon
2017-07-01, 12:25 PM
John gulps hard, "Uh, that thing from high school... That was just a prank gone bad. The crops recovered."

jakarta
2017-07-01, 12:27 PM
Seeing your aghast expressions he elaborates. "We had to start screening candidates after that one guy seemed to join up, took our shape shifter mantle, then ran off and started selling himself to zoos and impersonating Ben Ten at conventions."

LairdMaon
2017-07-01, 12:34 PM
"You were responsible for that guy?
I saw pictures of him at an Anime Expo a year or so back."

jakarta
2017-07-01, 12:40 PM
"That might have been him; really hard to tell with a shape shifter.

Mantles, that's what we call them. The roles and skills you will be taking on. "

LairdMaon
2017-07-01, 12:45 PM
"Mantles. So what's my mantle?
Axeman? Green Axe? Hatchetman?"

jakarta
2017-07-01, 12:57 PM
"We weren't sure what to do with you. Still aren't. We'er just giving you three skill sets and letting you make what you will out of it. We figure you'll end up somewhere between The A-Team, The gun guy from Tremors, Wolverine, and Batman if Ace were a poodle.

The skill sets are barbarian, ranger, and....thief? rogue... the last one is a bit of a translation problem.... sneaky trap finder and indoor exportation specialist? 1/2 Indiana Jones, 1/2 Catwoman."

JbeJ275
2017-07-01, 12:59 PM
What are mine then? Other than making things glow?

LairdMaon
2017-07-01, 01:13 PM
"So... You haven't even gotten me pegged yet and you're still giving me power? More solid logic."

jakarta
2017-07-01, 01:17 PM
"Kid, you are the Blue Mage. A cool magical musician. Bard, Illusionist, and Sorcerer.

Marty is the Green Mage. Wizard, Druid and....eh..witch? Hard to translate the last one. A more 'Earthy' magical tradition."

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-07-01, 02:48 PM
Katherine doesn't even have to ask where this framework places her. The priestess, the inquisitor, the knight in shining armor... everything she had tried to be since childhood, offered to her all at once and all too literally.

jakarta
2017-07-01, 04:03 PM
"You guys are looking pretty tired. Would you like to see your rooms?"

LairdMaon
2017-07-01, 05:10 PM
John picks up the plate of bacon in his off hand, keeping his right hand filming with the other. "Mph! Yeah, let's get going. Lucy,
c'mon, girl!"

JbeJ275
2017-07-01, 05:46 PM
"You guys are looking pretty tired. Would you like to see your rooms?"

You seem to have completely forgotten about my pizza. I mean you can join magic men in black but a server's "few minutes" still end up taking ages.

jakarta
2017-07-01, 11:58 PM
"You mean that one?" Carl says pointing at the untouched meat pizza at the corner of the booth. "You were so focused on me that you missed the waiter dropping it off. Keep that in mind if you ever start to think your powers aren't as good as your friends. Sometimes a distraction is more important than anything else. It can stop other chains of events from happening. Like how the kitchen is waiting to make your ice cream until you finish your pizza.

Would you like them both boxed to go?"

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-07-02, 05:01 AM
"I appreciate your hospitality, but I'd like to go to bed for the evening if that's alright. This... I can see what you mean when you say no one has believed you before. It all still feels like a dream."

"Whine, whine, I'm Kat and I want more plot points!"

"Cool your jets, lady, we're getting to it."

"Yeah! Some of us tell jokes for a living, you know!"

"This is nothing, you ever play Shadowrun?"

JbeJ275
2017-07-02, 06:05 AM
"You mean that one?" Carl says pointing at the untouched meat pizza at the corner of the booth. "You were so focused on me that you missed the waiter dropping it off. Keep that in mind if you ever start to think your powers aren't as good as your friends. Sometimes a distraction is more important than anything else. It can stop other chains of events from happening. Like how the kitchen is waiting to make your ice cream until you finish your pizza.

Would you like them both boxed to go?"

Yeah, trust me I know a little bit 'bout misdirection, but yeah thanks for the pizza I'll just finish them here then turn in for the night.

jakarta
2017-07-02, 09:26 AM
to Kat: "GM can show you to your room. She helped with the decorations.".

Oh, Yes! I hope you like it. I know you are tired now, but later we can have sleepovers and do each other's hair."

As GM pulls Kat out of the room, Carl calls to her. "We put some things in each room to make you more comfortable. If you need anything else just let us know." then turns to the boys, "So, how do you think the Reds are gonna do for the rest of the season?"

(I'll type up the rest in word and copy paste)

LairdMaon
2017-07-02, 09:29 AM
John looks straight at Carl, "Isn't that the team Tiger Woods and Serena Williams play for?
I couldn't say, I don't much watch football."

jakarta
2017-07-02, 09:33 AM
"Isn't she pregnant?"

LairdMaon
2017-07-02, 09:36 AM
"I think so. Doesn't hurt her form on those hockey skates as far as I know. Can still do a solid layup."

jakarta
2017-07-02, 09:46 AM
"Oh, I think she" he starts has he causually pulls out an I-phone and taps a few keys, "could do fairly well in what ever sport she puts her mind to." he finishes as a 3d projection of https://i.ytimg.com/vi/8ATxQitSf9A/maxresdefault.jpg floats a foot above the table.

LairdMaon
2017-07-02, 09:49 AM
"I take it you're a fan, Carl?"

jakarta
2017-07-02, 09:53 AM
"I wrote the pop culture section of our 'blending in' course.

Of course, sometimes it's best to try not to blend in if you really want to not be noticed. Like when I stand in front of a crowd and sing about being a gnome. I get noticed less that way than if I tried to sneak around."

LairdMaon
2017-07-02, 10:02 AM
It's not easy looking thoughtful and contemplative while shoving a full slice of bacon into one's maw, but John seems to be a natural.

Once he finishes that bite he replies, "I get that. Makes sense. In a book I read once, the main character ends up with a grim reaper cloak that gives him social invisibility. Instead of seeing him in his Death uniform, people saw him as nothing more than who you'd expect to be around. A random guy walking down the street, a cop once, a referee, and so on. Best form of invisibility ever, I think."

jakarta
2017-07-02, 11:38 AM
GM leads Kat down a hallway. "My room is right across from yours, so if you need anything or want some company just knock. I have a yogurt machine. If you have trouble sleeping in the little room, try the small room.

With that she yawns a 'good night' and goes into her own room, which has a warm pink glow inside.

Kat opens her door to find...

A room much larger than her apartment.

The room looks like a professional designer got in a fight with a 4 year old and your grandmother. It is simultaneously modern, old fashioned, and ‘look Mom, Barbie pillows’.

Queen sized bed with dark purple satin sheets, patchwork bed spread, crocheted blanket, and My Little Pony comforter, and a mishmash of pillows. Pink bunny slippers.

Entertainment center with a library of vhs Jane Fonda aerobics tapes, Tie chi DvDs, and a complete collection of Disney and Law and Order.

A wii and a Dreamcast, with those volleyball games.

A yoga mat, a stair stepper, and a Hello Kitty bear rug. Extra Barbie throw pillows on the couch, a lazychair with remote pockets, a beanbag chair and a rocking chair.

Glass Coffee table with a built in chess board with Candy Land already set out on top of it, and Shoots And Ladder and a few issues of the Economist on the under-glass shelf, along with the box of chess pieces, a dominos set, and a pack of Uno cards.

Mini fridge and stocked unlocked mini bar by the bed, full size fridge in the kitchen. Pantry stocked with your favourite cereals, and strawberry quick. Fridge stocked with your brand of frozen dinners, whole milk, soy milk, Haagen-Dazs, fruit yogurts, fresh veggies and fruit.

Range, oven, microwave, toaster, toaster over, cappuccino machine, coffee maker , English and Japanese tea services. Over in the corner of the room a tea table with Paddington and Raggedy Anne already seated.

On one wall a shelf with recessed lighting hosting pastel flower pots with live tulips, on another wall orchids, and the third African Violets. Potted cactus on one end of the breakfast bar, oversized betta vase with red and purple fish on the other, banana hook in the middle.

Walk in closet of ‘lawyer’ clothes. Walk in closet of the Abercrombie and Finch and Old Navy catalog.

Dresser with drawer of silk panamas, drawer of cotton Princess pyjamas, drawer of Victoria Secret’s greatest hits, drawer of swim suits in your size and slightly smaller, drawer of ‘sports wear’ and socks.

Writing desk with an Ibook, Android tablet, and that PC Laptop you always really wanted.

The bathroom,… American, European, and Japanese fixtures. Jacuzzi. Walk in multi head shower. Dressing table. Hooks with terry cloth bathrobe and kimono.

Door leading to a hallway. The first room has a desk and a law library. Alabama Law. There are 54 of these rooms. Some must be federal…

Door leading to private chapel.

Door leading to a…cell. A monastic cell with small alter, small writing desk with stool, oil lamp, simple cot with straw mattress and burlap blanket.

jakarta
2017-07-02, 12:28 PM
"Oh, Marty, that's your phone ringing."

Marty answers his phone. It is his neighbor and bird sitter. Quite upset. He answered a knock at the door, midget luchdors ran in, took Edwardo, and disappeared into the night.

As Marty is hearing this, midget luchdors walk into the restaurant carrying Edwardo. They remove their masks revealing gnomes and halflings. They deposit Edwardo on your table and settle into another booth where the waiters are already delivering pizzas and chimichagas to them.

"Edwardo's a pretty bird. Edwardo's a smart boy. Edwardo wants a brownie and a mother****ing explanation."

---------
Later, Marty finds his room....

The room is the best parts of a 4 star resort suite, your house, and your University office.

Stocked minibar and fridge near the bed. Parrot stands scattered throughout.

Lava lamps.

Door leading to a library that would do a university proud. One wing would make Lovecraft run for the hills.

Door leading to a hydroponic grow room that would make Cheech and Chong think they had reached weed-varna. Half planted in vegetables, half sitting empty. Artificial lighting and fiber optic cables that channel in sunlight during daytime. Large library of vegetable seeds. Now to find some ‘other’ seeds….

Door leading to professional pastry kitchen, with a brownie factory machine. Pantry stocked with raw ingredients, and a pallet of Hines brownie mix boxes for when you feel lazy.

Door leading to a chemistry/alchemy/witch craft lab. Mass-spec-ometer and large cauldron.

Room leading to Parrot play land.

jakarta
2017-07-02, 12:43 PM
Oliver's room.

4 star hotel suit with stocked minibar. Grand piano. Synthesizer. Pipe organ. Decks of cards everywhere.

Wall sized tv with consoles. Collection of musicals and how to dance tapes.

Jukebox. Karaoke machine. Turntable mixboard. Classic vinyl collection.

Door leading to professional recording studio. Every instrument known to man.

Door leading to a library. You pick up a book on weaving out of curiosity. Before you know it you have speed read it.

Door leading to a dance studio/magician workshop. .

jakarta
2017-07-02, 12:46 PM
Oliver's room. Mincemeat appendum.

On the floor by the bed is the same doggy mattress from the truck, but new, food and water bowls.

In the corner of the room is Snoopy's red doghouse. Sticking your head in.... s***. His room is better than yours. Full rec room.

jakarta
2017-07-02, 02:14 PM
John's quarters:

John.

As you walk in the room the wooden coo-coo clock starts to chirp. A little Hatchet man comes out and does a little dance. On the side of the clock is a toggle switch marked ‘silent’.

There is a movie poster for Killer Klowns from Outer Space. The same design is on the bedspread of the king sized bed.

The rest of the room looks like a professional designer had his work redone by ‘Survivalist Eye for the Queer Guy, Featuring Tim the Tool Man Taylor”.

In one corner is a cutaway mock-up of your sleeper cab, with the doggy mattress. Next to it is a deluxe doggy igloo, with a drum-fed auto feeder and a refilling water bowl.

Above the door are hooks for a shotgun. Next to the door is a fire ax.

On the side of the mattress is a holster. On the bedside table is sitting a 357 magnum, loaded, 2 quick reloaders, also loaded, and a box of ammo. From the glint, it looks like it is loaded with silver bullets.

Next to it is a powerbank that is marked with a radiation symbol with the letters Pu in the middle. It has a solar cell on one side and is plugged into the wall.

Next to the bank are two flash drives. One says 1 pb, empty. The other is labelled “the internet: 1989-June 2017”.

Juke box. Every Insane Clown cd, and EVERYTHING else on lossless mp3.

Pool table. Air hockey. Fugeball. Nice entertainment center with consoles.

Ham radio desk with CB and 3 computer consoles. PC, MAC, and UNIX.

File cabinet with every magazine you like.

Bathroom has Sports therapy hot tub, big screen tv. Doggy styling table with clippers.

Stocked and unlocked minbar and mini fridge by the bed.
On the other wall, full bar. With coke fountain. And ice cream counter and soft serve machine. Walk in freezer behind it with 62 flavors of ice cream and frozen yogurt.

In the kitchen, fully stocked walk-in fridge. Walk in meat locker, stocked.

Drinks cooler stocked with faygo
All the common kitchen appliances, deli meat slicer, gas and charcoal grills big enough for a side of beef, and a slushi machine.

Door marked pantry. Warehouse of canned and dried goods. goods, pallets of mres, bags of rice, bottles of water, dehydrated fruit. Beef jerky.

Door marked workshop. Full military and NASA spec machinist workshop. Forge. Anvil. Pallets of metal.

Door marked Ammo Storage. 2 pallets of ammo for each gun. Standard load and silver.

Door marked ‘weapons’ . Grindstone. Reload bench. Crucible. Pallet of silver shot. Pallet of lead shot. Pallet of copper shot. 2 walk in fireproof safes. One containing 3 pallets of gunpowder. The other containing 3 pallets of percussion caps.

Door marked: treasury.
1 pallet containing 1 cubic meter of perfectly stacked 1cm cubes of platinum. Similar pallets of gold, silver, copper, and nickel.

Next to them is a line of 1 cubic meter of rolled 1 ounce blanks (slugs) of each metal. Clear plastic sleeves, 10 to a roll.

The next two are pallets of gold and silver doubloons. Freshly minted.

There are bins on pallets containing loose coins.

One is assorted subway tokens, arcade coins, and coins that have been though those souvenir presses that make them oval, and a lot of coins that look like they were tossed into a well a long time ago.

The rest are freshly minted, but obviously counterfeit coins.
There is bin of solid gold euros.
A mixed bin gold of US president and Sacajawea dollars.
A bin of solid silver Eisenhower and Susan B. dollars.
A bin of silver Kennedy 1/2 dollars.
A bin of silver quarters of various designs.
A bin of Silver dimes, 90 % FDR, 10% Mercury.
One bin of silver nickels, another of nickel nickels.
And a bin of copper pennies. 90% American, 9% Canadian, 1% those Bahama ones with the starfish.
Near the back of the room is a bin filled with assorted gemstones.
Behind it are quarter bins of steel, lead, brass, bronze, and JADE coins.
In the corner is a coin sorter/roller. Wraps them in plastic.

The last door is marked ‘if needed’. Pink padded room with a time lock.

jakarta
2017-07-02, 02:39 PM
"So... You haven't even gotten me pegged yet and you're still giving me power? More solid logic."

OOC:

Maybe they don't have John pegged into a role, but maybe they got him pegged in other ways?

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-07-02, 03:38 PM
[...]with an image of the Virgin Mary like the one at my aunt's place. Next to that, another austere cell modeled after the dormitories of an old European monastery, complete with oil lamp and straw bed. Just in case I found the Pony bed too decadent, I guess.

It's as though they followed my life since the 90's and gradually developed the space without regard for maturity, changing personal taste, or any sense of restraint. I'm not sure how much of this came from my psychological and cultural profile or how much came from GM's influence. I know I never played any of these Beach Volleyball games of hers.

Throughout our conversation, she seemed to be projecting a sort of loneliness, like an only child who has spent years wishing for another girl to play with. Then again, she may genuinely think that I'm from a culture where this sort of treatment and conversation is expected, and therefore be offering just for my benefit. Carl did mention that there were some things about human culture that they could never quite wrap their heads around; our apparent discontinuity between childhood and adulthood may have been one of them.

In any case, I should probably go talk to her before turning in for the night.
Edit: Intuition: Get a hunch with a DC15 will save. (Both were successes)
Will Save to get a hunch about staying the night in the weirdly creepy apartment: [roll0]
Will Save to get a hunch about talking to Gal tonight: [roll1]
Sense Motive to guess whether Gal is genuinely interested in the girly stuff or just putting on a show: [roll2]

Eric Scott
2017-07-02, 05:47 PM
Upon Marty receiving Edwardo, Edwardo wants an explanation? Simple, I'm going to be a wizard-druid-witch thing so I'll probably need a familiar, like a stereotypical black cat or more aptly you Edwardo. Were going to go on adventure! he hands Edwardo a brownie. Then turns to Carl, So, these rooms you have set up for us, will we this be a sort of base of operations sort of thing? As in will we be returning here every so often? Because not that the room isn't great, love the lava lamps but, I've got a few additions that I'd like to implement that would truly put it over the top, like perhaps a dark box for growing fungi specifically the more "magical" variety. If you've got people that can maybe help me with that that would be wonderful, otherwise I can handle it myself no problem.

jakarta
2017-07-03, 03:46 AM
Upon Marty receiving Edwardo, Edwardo wants an explanation? Simple, I'm going to be a wizard-druid-witch thing so I'll probably need a familiar, like a stereotypical black cat or more aptly you Edwardo. Were going to go on adventure! he hands Edwardo a brownie. Then turns to Carl, So, these rooms you have set up for us, will we this be a sort of base of operations sort of thing? As in will we be returning here every so often? Because not that the room isn't great, love the lava lamps but, I've got a few additions that I'd like to implement that would truly put it over the top, like perhaps a dark box for growing fungi specifically the more "magical" variety. If you've got people that can maybe help me with that that would be wonderful, otherwise I can handle it myself no problem.

"The portal network isn't complete yet, so you may have a few road trips. But yeah, that's the idea. This is your Hall. I'll have the Miners and a farming team come by in the morning to carve out an appendix to your grow room."

jakarta
2017-07-03, 07:07 AM
[...]with an image of the Virgin Mary like the one at my aunt's place. Next to that, another austere cell modeled after the dormitories of an old European monastery, complete with oil lamp and straw bed. Just in case I found the Pony bed too decadent, I guess.

It's as though they followed my life since the 90's and gradually developed the space without regard for maturity, changing personal taste, or any sense of restraint. I'm not sure how much of this came from my psychological and cultural profile or how much came from GM's influence. I know I never played any of these Beach Volleyball games of hers.

Throughout our conversation, she seemed to be projecting a sort of loneliness, like an only child who has spent years wishing for another girl to play with. Then again, she may genuinely think that I'm from a culture where this sort of treatment and conversation is expected, and therefore be offering just for my benefit. Carl did mention that there were some things about human culture that they could never quite wrap their heads around; our apparent discontinuity between childhood and adulthood may have been one of them.

In any case, I should probably go talk to her before turning in for the night.
Edit: Intuition: Get a hunch with a DC15 will save. (Both were successes)
Will Save to get a hunch about staying the night in the weirdly creepy apartment: [roll0]
Will Save to get a hunch about talking to Gal tonight: [roll1]
Sense Motive to guess whether Gal is genuinely interested in the girly stuff or just putting on a show: [roll2]

For Kat: There doesn't seem to be anything dangerous or evil about the room, and GM seems like she really wants to be friends.

Knocking on her door...

She opens it. Wearing Pink satin classic Gem and the Holograms pajamas, Yellow peep slippers, and a mud pack. She is holding 2 slices of Cucumber.

Here sleepy eyes light up upon seeing you.

"You want to Sleep Over ToNight?!"

JbeJ275
2017-07-03, 07:32 AM
Oliver pulls out chocolate from the minibar, sets his phone to record on top of it and throws himself down onto the bed. He then begins rambling murmuring out disconnected trains of thought.

Recording 1:

Well, I guess this is a change, into the madhouse down the f***ing rabbit hole. They what me to do magic, to be a bloody superhero, he said I get the powers of the bard but I can't even play music... They say there is something special about us, that we can access powers others can't but it seems more like we're the only ones stupid enough to stick around... I guess that's good that it makes us heroes but look what happened to you when you tried it... Still don't know why they can't do it themselves but it sounds like a lot of people are in the s*** and we're going to shovel it... I think this is better than never doing anything with my life and I always wanted to do something worth remembering but this is madness... Hell if this had happened last month I'd of thought this would be me finally slipping and trying some, I'm still not sure it isn't. Still, there is magic out there so maybe you are listening, I hope if you are then I've made you proud.

Once his rant is over he lays still and tries to sleep.

LairdMaon
2017-07-03, 08:46 AM
John ends his tour of the room in the kitchen and pours himself a cup of water. He finishes it and heads off to bed, calling Lucy Fur over. "Crazy stuff,
eh, girl? Maybe we'll wake up back in the real world. For now, let's get some shut eye."

John gets in bed, Lucy sleeping at his feet, and promptly passes out.

jakarta
2017-07-04, 04:02 AM
For Kat: There doesn't seem to be anything dangerous or evil about the room, and GM seems like she really wants to be friends.

Knocking on her door...

She opens it. Wearing Pink satin classic Gem and the Holograms pajamas, Yellow peep slippers, and a mud pack. She is holding 2 slices of Cucumber.

Here sleepy eyes light up upon seeing you.

"You want to Sleep Over ToNight?!"

Assuming you enter her room:

Oh, My. Gods....

It is like your room but to the 11th.

So PINK. and yet Green.

She's got a garden and a dozen aquariums, topiary, living butterflyes, an adult scale delux climbing frame-ball bin-swing-slides...a spinning wheel, looms, in-progress tapestry with gold and silver thread of a unicorn fighting a dragon, easels of unfinished art projects in all styles from preskool finger paints to masterwork cubist. Wood carving, stone sculpting, potty wheels, a fridge door over flowing with magnet held art. Dolls, toys, writing desks with Russian philosophy text books and alien calligraphy. Queen sized bed, bunk bed, cot, hammock stung between an oak tree and a palm tree. Retro arcade games, and a trampoline. A dozen doors leading to other areas.

Your brain shuts down from overload trying to catalog this room.

It is like this girl is simultaneously 4, 14, 40, 104, and from 1400...

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-07-05, 12:52 AM
"Oh! I didn't mean to wake you or interrupt. But, thanks. I must admit I'm still a bit anxious..." Even a glimpse over Gal's shoulder is enough to dispel Kat's doubts about her natural goofiness. "I guess you were in charge of designing both of our rooms, huh?"

jakarta
2017-07-05, 05:06 PM
(Sitting in airport on phone. No color)
"I helped. The liberary staff set up the books for you, and the tech team set up the computers. I made it more comfortable. Do you want to sleep with me? Or you can borrow Tigger."

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-07-05, 05:33 PM
"I'll be alright. I was going to ask something, but it can wait until morning. Good night, GM."

jakarta
2017-07-05, 05:35 PM
And where is Kat sleeping?

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-07-05, 06:03 PM
Katherine returns to her room and takes a shower before retiring to the pony bed.

jakarta
2017-07-07, 05:47 AM
You know you are dreaming.

In your dream you are walking towards a light.

As you enter it you are in a dance studio/martial arts training area.
Before you stands a male elf with short curly hair. Both he and you are wearing brown/grey knee and elbow length martial arts training uniform tied with a sash.

He tosses a staff to you and you catch it. He is holding one now too. He steps back demonstrating a defensive pose. You copy him. A second trainer steps to your side from nowhere, adjusts your grip spacing and the bend on your back leg, then steps away *off* again. The trainer demonstrates blocks, evasion steps, strikes, parries, thrusts, twirls, cross checks…. You mimic and the other copy of the trainer steps in to help you when needed.

You notice that the gang is all here. Kat, John, Oliver, and Marty are all getting the same lesson. GM is here too, but it seems like a refresher course for her. Marty seems to need the most help from extra trainers.

They take you by the shoulder and pull you apart from yourself…..a few times. You are sparing with each of the others, and the trainer, and yourself all at the same time. As you land a ‘kill’ blow against your own temple you are suddenly also standing to the side watching the kill strike in slow motion with a trainer gesturing wordlessly to explain where you went wrong… GM knocks you on your ass quite a few times…You are learning a lot from it.

After a bit, the trainer and some of your copies are wearing tap shoes. He does a step and repeats it until you master it. The tap dance lesson gets combined with the staff lesson, taping while using the staff. Some Oliver’s copies split and some start learning stick/cane fighting. Marty has trainers on in front of and on both sides of most of his copies.

A couple of drummers start laying down pace beats. Copies of Oliver get pulled over to them for drum lessons. As he gets the basics and starts more advanced beats, a copy is pulled off of him and over to the piano and guitar.

Some of your copies start knife training….which includes the fight choreography from West Side Story. By this time Oliver is providing the jazz horns..,

After a bit, a prep table is rolled out and some copies are instructed in paring vegetables and de-boning chickens by Gordon Ramsey Faun and Julia Child Dwarf. You are paired off against yourselves again, Jet vs Shark, Staff vs Dagger, and Unarmed vs armed, tap dancing staff vs jazz knife…

Marty never graduates to the rapier lesson, and doesn’t get to learn the fight scenes from Romeo or Hamlet, or Cyrano. As the rest of you are learning to debone and section a halibut and a Chilean sea bass, everyone but Marty is also trying two weapon fighting with knives. Kat and John move on to Knife-Rapier and Duel Rapier. The trainer seem to focus more on adding Kendo with Kat, and more on hitting vital points with John.

There are now maybe hundreds of you in this training montage dream, learning from the trainer, sparing with the trainer and yourself and the others in every possible combination of weapons, while practicing fruit cocktail dicing technique while Oliver directs a full orchestra plus swing band of himself.
And just as you get the feint-high-reverse side step-sweep-low correct and knock GM on her bum…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1b8AhIsSYQ

We Built this city. (beat, beat) We built this City ON ROck and ROll.

"Good morning in the City in The Tower. This is your 9 AM wake up call. Lots to do today, so hit the showers and the breakfast bar will be open in 20 minutes. Here is your morning wake up mix from KW GNM, Gnome Pirate Radio."

Marconi plays the mamba listen to the radio
Don't you remember
We built this city we built this city on rock an' roll

You are refreshed and fully awake in your bed.

JbeJ275
2017-07-07, 06:53 AM
Oliver wakes up halfway between a blind panic and being awed. He then get's out of bed and looks for a guitar to see if his talents really have followed him into the waking world.

jakarta
2017-07-07, 07:06 AM
Oliver tries a few things....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsC4kf6x_Q0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1i5coU-0_Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ewqlw1J9W1E

yeah... he can play.

LairdMaon
2017-07-07, 08:46 AM
Jefferson Starship. Really.
Nope. That's not how I start a day.

John quits staring at the ceiling and gets up. He walks around for a moment before grabbing his walking staff and turning on When I'm Clownin (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5EY2rMs6jJc) by ICP. He begins swinging the staff, getting to know it's heft and balance. Before the song is over he's pleased to find that his skill has improved, though he notes that he'll need to train his muscle memory more.

When the song ends he makes himself a small, but hearty breakfast and then showers up. He gets dressed back into his outfit from the day before, making another note to himself about buying clothes. Send these little guys forgot that part.

Two more songs, Let's Go All The Way (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHpyOYSuSfk) and My Axe (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=o5J00JpLRJ4), and he steps out of his room, ready for whatever the day brings.

JbeJ275
2017-07-07, 12:52 PM
Oliver finds his hat and put's it on hoping that he can wear it without a tux appearing, if the tux doesn't appear he puts on any shirt and pants he can find then goes to try and figure out what happened to the clothes he was wearing yesterday.

But there is something important that needs to happen before that. He puts Mincemeat on a leash and goes to find someolace with waffles. While walking there he takes an acoustic guitar and plays "Don't Stop Me Now"

jakarta
2017-07-07, 01:09 PM
Oliver catches himself singing Let it go in the shower, and with a curse, changes to another song.

He finds his street clothes in the hat. Laundry-ed and pressed, though the candy-bar in the pocket is unchanged. As is he wallet. Everything is still in the pockets, though the coins look really shiny.

There is an annoyed and hungry looking white rabbit also in the hat.

As soon as Oliver closes the door upon leaving the room, he feels a slight bump in the hat. Checking, the tux is now in the hat.

Backtracking to the restaurant room, there are now a handful of the short peoples having breakfast. There is a table with a deluxe 'continental breakfast', a fully stocked buffet, a row of cereal dispensers, a milk and juice bar, and 3 tables with short order cooks making custom waffles, pancakes, and omelets.

GM is sitting at the booth from last night. Looks like she has Moons over MyHammy, 5 different yogurt cups, a glass of milk, a cup of tea, and 4 different glasses of juice. She also has a McMuffin, a hashbrown, and is playing with the My Little Pony happymeal toy while she eats.

She is bare midriff, and is wearing a hot pink sports bra, purple spandex tights, a rainbow hair band, and sweat guard bracelets and leg warmers. And peep slippers....

Eric Scott
2017-07-07, 02:23 PM
Marty wakes up with a groan, This always happens when I only eat sugar before bed. He then looks around and sees that he is in fact in the same room as he was when he went to sleep. Well... that's at least a good sign, possibly. He slept in his clothes so he just finds his hat and pop that on his head. He then wanders into the library in his room and grabs up a few books at random that catch his eye. Come on Edwardo, let's see if we can't find something to eat or some trouble to get into. He says as he heads out towards the restaurant room, Parrot landing on his shoulder, as he beginning to read one of the books as he goes.

JbeJ275
2017-07-07, 02:24 PM
Oliver grabs a plate of waffles with golden syrup and chocolate sauce, he also picks up a small plate of bacon for Mincemeat.

He then journeys over to where GM is sitting. "So hey, I don't suppose you know anything about magic dreams where you suddenly become experts in skills you have never tried before?"

jakarta
2017-07-07, 02:34 PM
By the time Marty gets to the restaurant, he finds that he has finished all four books. All 1200 pages...

GM looks up at Oliver with a smile. "Fun,
aren't they?"

JbeJ275
2017-07-07, 02:48 PM
Yes they really are. Well I assumed the first few weeks would be spent training but given how that issue is neatly resolved what are we doing today?

jakarta
2017-07-07, 02:57 PM
Resolved? You have magic lessons today.
And DM will want to talk with you all.

Looking at Marty and Edwardo, Hi. They have parrot food for you on that table, she says indicating one corner of the room with a table filled with fruit, nuts, and parrot blend seed.

LairdMaon
2017-07-07, 03:05 PM
"How's this for not a pickup like, John walks in, "I dreamed of all of you."

He sits down with GM, "Had trouble deciding what to eat? Or are you looking to put on a bit of weight. Not that I'd complain either way."

Eric Scott
2017-07-07, 03:37 PM
Look at that Edwardo they have Parrot catering, you lucky bird you. Marty says letting Edwardo fly off to the food. Hello. So... Umm... Don't suppose any of you would be interested in reading any of these books? I had thought I might do a little light reading while I ate but, I guess it was a little too light... He says holding up the books. Also, John, not that I would really know any better but I'm not sure that's the best way to talk to a lady. I mean, at least to me, it would just appear that she has eclectic tastes. Does seem a tad heavy on the dairy though but, everyone does have their own dietary needs so it certainly isn't unreasonable.

jakarta
2017-07-07, 08:02 PM
Fast metabolism. And you have so many fruit here.

(Eric, what are the topics of the books?)

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-07-07, 08:02 PM
"Well, that was certainly an experience." Katherine is slipping the hairbrush from her room back into her purse as she finds her seat at the table. Mushroom omlette, french toast, bananas, coffee. She already tried some of her tea before leaving her room.
"The images themselves are all running together already, but my muscle memory... well, anyway, I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one with the dreams anymore."

Her treatise on how dangerous this forced dream-projection could be in the wrong hands will have to wait for tonight's napstalog. She sips at her hot drink for a bit before deciding to change the subject. "I did not realize you would be training along with us, GM! There was a brown-haired fellow directing us - was that DM?"

jakarta
2017-07-07, 08:08 PM
munch munch That was Brasoz. There's Gorden and Julia.she indicates the...faun...and dwarf woman pushing carts of food to refill the buffet.

Eric Scott
2017-07-07, 08:59 PM
A fast metabolism? Yeah, I've got a fast metabolism too but that, that is something else... You sure it isn't a tape worm or something like that? Or perhaps that's not exactly something to talk about while people are eating, I guess. Marty says still standing there thinking about what to do next. So, how much longer is it until lessons? I mean not that I wouldn't enjoy socializing with you all but I've got a library in my room and considering how quickly I tore through these books on art history, chemistry, theology and apparently the occult. I'd say I've got some reading to do, though obviously if anyone else is interested in reading a book, don't hesitate to check out the library yourself.

jakarta
2017-07-07, 09:11 PM
I only have standard gut flora for a hybrid.
Lessons after breakfast. Why don't you eat? They have a syrup bar! All the colors and flavors.

She pushes the art history and occult books over to Oliver, and the Theology book over to Kat.

You realize that she has finished most of her food in the past minute. She waves over to the short order chefs. Can I have some waffles and skinny-whinny pancakes? , as she opens the chemistry book.

Where is Lucy?

Eric Scott
2017-07-07, 10:13 PM
Well, if you insist. Marty grabs up some scrambled eggs, a couple pieces of whole wheat toast and a glass of orange juice before taking a seat. You know, those are all pretty decently interesting books. Well less so the theology one but, then again I've never really cared much for most religion, still a decent read though. The occult one though definitely cool though I'm not sure how practical it is. Art history is art history, not terribly interesting but also not terribly boring. Same with chemistry, though it did give me a few ideas that could be fun or maybe they're just dangerous... Is there really a difference? Sorry, rambled rather that scrambled, my bad. He goes quiet as he begins eating his eggs.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-07-07, 10:18 PM
"Hybrid... oh! Thank you." Katherine accepts the book and decides against finishing her question in favor of nodding and waving to Gordon and Julia. If Gal the half-human wants to go into her life story, she will, but Kat's goal isn't to beat it out of her.

She closes her eyes and folds her hands together for a moment, then quickly makes the sign of the cross before picking up her fork.

"Marty, what was this you said about speed-reading them?" Kat flips open the theology book as though ready for a demonstration or tutorial.

Eric Scott
2017-07-07, 11:00 PM
Marty looks up from his food, Hmm... Oh, yeah, I don't know... I mean, I started reading when I left my room and by the time I got here I had read all of them... I'm not really sure how that happened, though if I had to hypothesis, it might be related to the mantles that Carl was talking about yesterday. Considering that he had said mine was something to do with wizards and wizards are commonly the book learning type, it would't be to far fetched to believe that I can speed read at surprising speed from that. Though I suppose it could also just be the books themselves are enchanted with some sort of magic. He then stops to ponder for half a second, then turns to GM. Gal you wouldn't happen to know anything about it would you? I don't mean to assume that you know everything or anything like that, I simply ask as you've clearly been hear longer than us and therein might know more.

jakarta
2017-07-07, 11:38 PM
"...hybrid metallic-covalent bonding...huh?" Gm looks up from her book....just as her 'usual' platter of waffles and crapes arrives. A monstrosity of different syrups, fruit toppings and confections smothering the waffles and skinny whinny pancakes. a second waiter plops a platter of bacon and french toast strips down more in front of John than anyone else.

LairdMaon
2017-07-09, 12:22 AM
"Er... I think she's marking that room as hers."

He looks around, "Look, I'm not trying to get on anyone's bad side. I was just impressed by the sheer quantity of food she has. And now that that's out of the way, what's the plan for today?"

jakarta
2017-07-09, 04:41 AM
Oh, part of your profile leaked. They are just trying to placate you so you won't 'murdering murdering murdering fun' them once DM unlocks the full power of your axes."

jakarta
2017-07-09, 01:55 PM
"I've been here since I awakened four years ago, Marty. I do understand most of what is happening, but training with you, Katherine, helps to reawaken my skills and many things in this realm are new to me. You are reading quickly because you are in a receptive mode, and the topics you are receptive to are linked to your mantels. You are correct, Marty, in that a wizard is based on Knowledge, so you could absorb any information. The effect will fade in a few months. As Bards are also about knowledge, Oliver, you too can learn about anything. Katherine, your role is more defined, so religion, history, and law would be easy for you to learn. You should try the books I gave Oliver next. John's roles are focused on nature, geography, and 'local knowledge'....which I suppose would be 'pop culture' here, as well as wilderness survival...and....um...'counter security'? You could read the Art History and Occult books, but the only things that would 'stick'..... the speed reading comes with advanced detail recall...would be the things most relevant to your role. Try it. Look at the cover page."

Kat and Oliver look at the first page of the books, not really intending to go further...the pages turn themselves ... they stare at the flipping pages for 30 seconds, and then they are looking at the back covers of their books. They look around and at each other as they realize they remember what they just read.

'The books are only enchanted to turn the pages for you, to keep up with your reading speed."

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/a3/58/d4/a358d49a144ffd94b299f8af78580b6f.jpg

JbeJ275
2017-07-09, 03:55 PM
Oliver drops the book "Woah, that was intense!

Anyway what does GM stand for again? And how long does learning magic take? Because so far vaguely hoping stuff happens has worked fine whenever I've tried to do it..

jakarta
2017-07-09, 08:17 PM
Galan-eMaeiaie^%£<xz"¬£************

the rest of her name defies transcription as though someone took all the sounds unpronounceable by an English speaking American from Nordic languages and hummed it by an upside down Arab humming bird flying by at high speed.

Eric Scott
2017-07-09, 09:16 PM
Marty nearly chokes on his food after hearing GM's name, That, that is your name? Eyes wide in amazement. That's awesome! Clearly not of a typical language of earth... Carl did say something yesterday about you being an elf, would that happen to be Elvish then? he asks looking at her intently.

jakarta
2017-07-09, 09:46 PM
"Archaic Elvin with some title affixes from proto-slyvn and pre-celestial. Also, my original is a high level true name-er, and the more advanced one is in that discipline the more difficult your name becomes for others to master.

It tends to be true that the older you are, either the simpler or more complex your name becomes. Either your entire history becomes your name, or you come to be embodied by one concept.
Like Danni on Game of Thrones or your Dr. Who."

Carl walks in as GM finishes. He has the look of a manager in 'professional handling a crisis calmly' mode. He strides up to a group sitting in two adjacent booths, and murmurs two them. Their attitudes snap-to like firemen hearing a bell. They pull hats out of their handbags, and donning them, stride out of the room as human park rangers and state troopers. Three lagging behind step into bear feet, hop up to form a three gnome tower, pull on the rest of the Smoky the Bear costume, pick up their shovel, and follow the others out.

Carl moves to your table, his demenor shifting to "small town mayor pretending that nothing is wrong, no sharks eating anybody around here, nope" mode. "How's everybody's breakfast? "

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-07-09, 10:17 PM
'Awakened.' 'Original.' The hints at being from three generations at once. Katherine isn't much of a science fiction buff and only barely recognizes Dr. Who, but she seems to light up in recognition just the same. "Interesting. I suspect we'll have a lot to talk about when I take you up on that sleepover."

Katherine thinks for a beat before answering Carl. "Very good, thank you. Is there a forest fire we need to worry about?"

Eric Scott
2017-07-09, 10:57 PM
In response to GM, I see... Quite the complex individual you are. Well I certainly am intrigued. Marty says with a slight smirk.

Then in response to Carl, Breakfast has been satisfactory, though I am quite eager to see what more I can learn today.