PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Wielding without holding

hisnamehere
2017-10-07, 12:44 PM
Hey All:

In short, find me a way to wield a weapon with my mind by early levels.

For a longer approach:

I recently watched the anime, "The Seven Deadly Sins." While the sexual harassment by the main character makes me embarrassed to admit I watched the entire thing, the story and fight sequences were entertaining.
Specifically, I really like the character, King's, ability to wield his spear (for all intents and purposes) with his mind.
He would often flick a finger to direct it, but this would just as often not be necessary.

I've been trying to recreate the idea. And the image I see in my head is of an arm-less character.
Also, while we're playing Pathfinder, I'm open to any 3.x options.

Most of the options I'm finding are usually the ability to throw (or achieve a ranged attacked) with a weapon, usually as a standard action. They usually have the restriction of having to be holding the weapon, as well. Although, for the build, I'm confident our various DMs would allow the character to activate their abilities with a weapon on their person.

So far the best course seems to be a Mindblade Magus. They cast the magus spell list as psychic spells (not requiring somatic, nor verbal, components). They can add dancingto a magic weapon using their arcane pool, but not until 9th level. [I]Dancing[/] is a bit overkill for the build, as I'm not trying to gain extra actions, just wield the weapon without holding it. Also, the manifested weapon specifically states that it vanishes if it leaves your grasp, so without hands...

Universalist Wizard has a the great 1st level ability to be able to magically throw a melee weapon (as a standard action), ~7 times/day, uses Int to modify the attack roll, and even has the weapon "instantly return." But as great as that is, it gets absolutely no better. No way to get more uses (other than upping Int), no faster use, no increasing damage.
I'm considering this as a 1-level dip. I can turn the pages of my spellbook with my foot.

Soulknives can throw their manifested weapons, as well, but still not wield them without holding them.

The PrC Telekinetic Weaponmaster (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/psionic-prestige-classes/telekinetic-weaponmaster/) can, by 9th level, wield a weapon telekinetically (sp?) in addition to their held weapon(s). Again, that's a while to wait for the ability, and it ends up being overkill (granting more actions).

Soooo, anyone have any other ideas? I feel like this must be the effect of a spell or psionic power, but I'm not familiar with any.

Cheers, you beautiful, geeky network.

Captn_Flounder
2017-10-07, 11:33 PM
Might be too simple an answer, but would a simple "Dancing Spear" solve this dilemma?

InvisibleBison
2017-10-08, 12:51 AM
If you're not getting any actual benefit from wielding your weapon telekinetically, why not just wield it normally and fluff it as being wielded with your mind? Just say that you need to keep your hands free to give an occasional bit of direction to the weapon, so you can't do anything else with your hands while wielding the weapon with your mind that you couldn't do while wielding it with your hands.

bahamut920
2017-10-08, 04:07 AM
The PrC Master of the Unseen Hand (https://dndtools.net/classes/master-of-the-unseen-hand/) gains the ability to telekinetically wield a weapon at 2nd level in the PrC. However, you need to already have access to telekinesis, which requires significant caster advancement or funky races, and the PrC does not advance spellcasting. Perhaps you can convince your DM to allow you access if you have greater mage hand, which is a 1st-level spell that can move all but the heaviest of weapons, but the PrC is really for telekinesis-users.

Your other major option would be TK weaponmaster, and I'm not certain where you get action economy cheese out of it; even Dual Kinetic Mastery doesn't give you any extra attacks - it simply allows you to put a weapon in a square within 20 ft. of you and make attacks or AoOs from it as if you were standing there. If you had TWF you might be able to get more attacks out of it, but that would involve the normal TWF rules and you wouldn't be able to cast a spell or manifest a psionic power while attacking with it (it would still threaten squares even if you cast for your action, though, just like you would if using a weapon). From my reading of the ability, it even seems to still use your normal Str/Dex scores for attack and damage rolls, not your manifesting stat.

If your DM is homebrew-friendly, Grod the Giant has a class called the Mage of the Unseen Hand (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?322766-Mage-of-the-Unseen-Hand-(Fixed-list-Caster-Project)-3-5-PEACH&p=16705607#post16705607), a fixed-list caster like the beguiler, dread necromancer, or warmage, which gains the ability to manifest telekinetic limbs with a Str score equal to their Int score for the purposes of carrying objects or wielding weapons. While their BAB is normally poor, any weapons wielded in those telekinetic limbs make attack rolls as if they had a medium BAB. I actually really want to play one; they seem pretty cool.

You could play an Aether kineticist who uses a weapon as the "component" of his telekinetic blast and just describe the attack as you wielding the weapon telekinetically. If you want to actually use the weapon's effects instead of your blast damage, you should look into increasing the weapon's hardness, though, because using the blast in that way damages the weapon as well.

hisnamehere
2017-10-08, 05:28 AM
You could play an Aether kineticist who uses a weapon as the "component" of his telekinetic blast and just describe the attack as you wielding the weapon telekinetically. If you want to actually use the weapon's effects instead of your blast damage, you should look into increasing the weapon's hardness, though, because using the blast in that way damages the weapon as well.

All great suggestions, but I especially like this last one. Reflavouring such an ability might be exactly what I'm looking for. I'm not familiar with the Aether Kineticist, but I suspect "blast" effects similar to the 3.5 Warlock?

Captn_Flounder: Is a "dancing spear" different than a dancing weapon?

bahamut920
2017-10-08, 06:37 AM
The kineticist (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/occult-adventures/occult-classes/kineticist) is best described IMO as one part warlock, one part Avatar: The Last Airbender, and one part Dragon Ball Z. Their base "shell" is similar to the warlock, with them being medium BAB not-quite-casters with an array of at-will spell-like and supernatural abilities, including an attack that scales as they level up (their blasts) and an array of utility abilities (their wild talents).

However, they select an elemental focus, like the Benders from Avatar, which can be one of the "traditional" elements, or it can be Aether (telekinesis/matter manipulation), Void (gravity/negative energy), or Wood (life/plants). You select additional elements as you level up, which nets you "composite" blasts, which are more powerful but split between two damage types.

Finally, not all of their abilities are truly at-will. Some incur "burn", which is nonlethal damage equal to your HD for each point of burn that cannot be healed while the burn remains. There are ways to mitigate burn, one of which is standing around flashily powering up as a move action (the ability is literally called "Gather Power" and includes a light show).

Captn_Flounder
2017-10-08, 01:33 PM
Yes, a Dancing Spear is just a Spear with the "Dancing" enchantment. Yes, it does count as a +3 or 4 weapon since it frees up your hands, but technically it could be acquired immediately at level one, with DM consent, as a "family heirloom" or some such nonsense. Just explain to them its more for Flavor reasons than power and use it responsibly.

Alternatively, make it a special, weaker "Dancing" enchantment so you have to devote a bit of yourself to concentrating on it to strike, requiring your standard action to use (or Full Round for your full attack) so it floating is essentially fluff.

AmberVael
2017-10-08, 03:36 PM
Spheres of Power handles telekinesis, starting from level one. You can find all of the rules for Spheres here. (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/) Ideally you'd play a spherecasting class to do this (Armorist (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/armorist) with the Soaring Blade archetype (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/soaring-blade) is designed particularly for flinging around weapons with telekinesis), but there are other options, like the Basic Magical Training feat.

Alternately, if you want telekinetic limbs... Symbiat's Hekatonkheires (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/hekatonkheires) can handle that.