PDA

View Full Version : OOTS #1163 - The Discussion Thread

Pages : [1] 2

The Giant
2019-05-13, 08:29 AM
New comic is up.

Fitzclowningham
2019-05-13, 08:32 AM
Poor Thad! Lost his love to a Celestial.

deworde
2019-05-13, 08:32 AM
That just raises further questions!

datalaughing
2019-05-13, 08:33 AM
Ok, Durkon, I know you liked Thad, but the new guy is clearly pretty awesome. You should give him a chance.

Resileaf
2019-05-13, 08:33 AM
Wow, I want this guy's story. He looks like a nice dude.

monomer
2019-05-13, 08:34 AM
So what's that make us?

Absolutely nothing!

Aeson
2019-05-13, 08:35 AM
I find it amusing that Durkon's cousin's brother-in-law's neice's fiance told Durkon that but not his name. Also, I guess we now know where Dark Helmet ended up.

Quebbster
2019-05-13, 08:36 AM
So what's that make us?

Absolutely nothing!

Great minds Think alike. And so do we apparently.

Turin_19
Just came here to see if anyone has already done a family tree in order for me to understand that.

EmperorSarda
Poor Thad, always alone.

Coyote0715
2019-05-13, 08:37 AM
What does the blue text mean? I don't remember...

Hardcore
2019-05-13, 08:39 AM
Finally monday!

Grey_Wolf_c
2019-05-13, 08:39 AM

It usually indicates they are an outsider of some description.

That said, the spectral weapon in his hand suggests to me he might be channeling something instead. I await the experts to let me know what under Earth his class and/or race might be.

Grey Wolf

One Step Two
2019-05-13, 08:40 AM
Was that a soulknife???

Syncrogti
2019-05-13, 08:40 AM
Who in the heck is that? And beheading a rock elemental, does that really kill them? I didn't think coup de tat or criticals affected elementals
EDIT: did they just toss a dwarf? I thought you weren't allowed to do that (LOTR)

2D8HP
2019-05-13, 08:42 AM
:confused:

Well I wasn't expecting that!

Grey_Wolf_c
2019-05-13, 08:42 AM
Who in the heck is that?
Durkon's cousin's brother in law's niece's fiancé. But no Thad, the new one.

And beheading a rock elemental, does that really kill them? I didn't think coup de tat or criticals affected elementals

It needn't be a critical. He could just have delivered enough damage to kill it, which the comic depicted as a decapitation.

Grey Wolf

Resileaf
2019-05-13, 08:43 AM
Who in the heck is that? And beheading a rock elemental, does that really kill them? I didn't think coup de tat or criticals affected elementals

I think it's just a visual effect to indicate how strong this new guy is.

Hardcore
2019-05-13, 08:44 AM
I find it amusing that Durkon's cousin's brother-in-law's neice's fiance told Durkon that but not his name. Also, I guess we now know where Dark Helmet ended up.
What Helmet??

Jannoire
2019-05-13, 08:44 AM
Okay, now I'm really curious to find out who that is... And I don't really buy that story. A guy that mysterious won't be just a relative of a relative twice removed...

So what's that make us?

Absolutely nothing!

Also, +1 internet to you ^^

littlebum2002
2019-05-13, 08:47 AM
EDIT: did they just toss a dwarf? I thought you weren't allowed to do that (LOTR)

No it's ok, because your legs and arms have the same strength score

https://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=1091

Linneris
...What. Just... what.

hamishspence
What Helmet??

It's a reference to this scene from Spaceballs, parodying The Empire Strikes Back:

Dark Helmet: Before you die, there is something you should know about us, Lone Starr.
Lone Starr: What?
Dark Helmet: I am your father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate.
Lone Starr: [confused] What's that make us?
Dark Helmet: Absolutely nothing! Which is what you are about to become. Prepare to die.

noneill
2019-05-13, 08:51 AM
So many questions !
Can't find Thad on the wiki or in any other posts here.

Going to be a long wait until the next comic.

Thad's replacement has a white cloak with purple. That doesn't seem like normal dwarf colors, so wondering what it signifies.

ratfox
2019-05-13, 08:52 AM
Wait, what? How many levels is this guy?

Like, I don't think we've ever even seen a character with such equipment. It looks like an Epic full set from a guild instance for chrissake!

...Also, does it makes sense to say "cousin's brother-in-law's niece"? If she's the niece of the husband of the sister of the cousin, then he could just say cousin's husband's niece, because the sister of the cousin is also a cousin. If on the other hand she's the niece of the brother of the wife of the cousin, then he could just say cousin's wife's niece, because the niece of the brother is also a niece. Hmmm...

Anyway, it's hilarious to compare Elan who did not know he had a brother, and Durkon who not only understood what the sentence above meant, but remembered who the niece was engaged to :smallbiggrin:

heavyfuel
2019-05-13, 08:53 AM
Just came here to see if anyone has already done a family tree in order for me to understand that.

I'm pretty much on the same boat

I didn't think coup de tat or criticals affected elementals

Sure they do. For any society other than a completely anarchic one with no formal government, a coup de tat affects pretty much every inhabitant of that society. As Neutral and not Chaotic, I'm pretty sure Elementals can be affected by a drastic change in jurisdictional power

Or did you mean coup de grâce? :smallbiggrin:

Crœsos
2019-05-13, 08:53 AM

As Grey_Wolf_c pointed out colored speech balloons usually mean some kind of outsider. Cousin's brother-in-law's niece's fiancé (Cbilnf for short) has the same color scheme in his speech balloons as Celia (example (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0269.html)) so maybe he's got a connection to the elemental plane of air, or maybe that's the generic color for all good-aligned outsiders. Unlike Celia, Cbilnf gets a different font than everyone else when he speaks. That may be significant, or it may just be that we haven't seen Celia (I think) since the latest art upgrade.

Cirin
2019-05-13, 08:54 AM
So many questions !
Can't find Thad on the wiki or in any other posts here.

Going to be a long wait until the next comic.

Thad's replacement has a white cloak with purple. That doesn't seem like normal dwarf colors, so wondering what it signifies.

I think the idea is that Durkon has a very large, very extended family (as he basically inherited the families of everyone that Sigdi sacrificed her fortune to Raise). . .so he's got a lot of distant relatives that have never come up to the audience, but he knows.

If he hasn't been mentioned before, that doesn't mean he didn't exist, he just hadn't been mentioned so far. It was just a passing reference to drive home how Durkon has so many distant relatives he knows about and keeps track of.

Frecus
2019-05-13, 08:54 AM
At the color of the speechbubble I alsmot thought it was Celia, but no, it's a part-dwarf celestial.

I expect the combination of templates and classes to be as multi-layered as that relation. A relation wich includes both blood and non-blood bonds, I should note.

Frecus
The glade wanderer
Madwarrior

Centaur
2019-05-13, 08:59 AM
For some reason I read that font as strong chaotic alignment.

Cicciograna
2019-05-13, 09:00 AM
I hope we never see this character again. Totally disliked it.

Zhorn
2019-05-13, 09:01 AM
OK... I know not to pull this on a major campaign boss, but I'm so tempted to do this on a random encounter against some mooks.
Like I am right now, my players will all be like "SO! MANY! QUESTIONS!"

Giant, love the work as always, you are my no#1 comic :smallbiggrin:

Lrbearclaw
2019-05-13, 09:02 AM
It's a reference to this scene from Spaceballs, parodying The Empire Strikes Back:

Dark Helmet: Before you die, there is something you should know about us, Lone Starr.
Dark Helmet: Absolutely nothing! Which is what you are about to become. Prepare to die.

Suddenly feel old? Or are we sad that a nerd hasn't seen Spaceballs?

hamishspence
2019-05-13, 09:04 AM
As Grey_Wolf_c pointed out colored speech balloons usually mean some kind of outsider.

Angels and archons alike have tended to have black text on a coloured background.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0664.html

This being has white text.

Reboot
2019-05-13, 09:05 AM

Possibly. [I just wanted to join the queue of "WHAT is this guy?]

I hope we never see this character again. Totally disliked it.
I think him being a one-shot gag is also possible. Although if he's as strong as he's made to seem, that would raise plotting questions.

The Pilgrim
2019-05-13, 09:07 AM
First Rich spoofed the "I am your Father" scene, and he now spoofes the spoof by referencing the spoof of the originally spoofed scene in "Spaceballs".

This is so meta, I think The Giant is going to open a rift in the fabric of reality

hamishspence
2019-05-13, 09:07 AM

The flashback red slaad seemed to have regular font:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1147.html

Jannoire
2019-05-13, 09:08 AM
This being has white text.

So has Celia...
I guess, we'll see more of Cbilnf. It feels too much like a deus ex machina to just have him being a part of the family... Plus he doesn't give his name...

Ghosty
2019-05-13, 09:08 AM
Wow. Wasn't expecting that. Now let's see if he can one shot the LDW...

What would really be funny, for as much grief as the Giant's gotten in the past with people calling this and that plot reveal a deus ex machina, would be for this to be either an avatar of Loki or Thor in disguise.

My other guess was that this is a relative of Kraggor or that Kraggor didn't really die in the rift, but got shifted elsewhere, and now he's back.

You've got me who else this might be. Talk about coming from out of nowhere.

EDIT: LOL. I swear I didn't see Jannoire's post when I wrote this.

DaOldeWolf
2019-05-13, 09:11 AM
Ok. This is different. So, what class could he be?

Resileaf
2019-05-13, 09:12 AM
Deus ex machina would be if the guy beat not only the golems, but also the evil death worm, then entered the council room and resolved the entire situation by himself.

As it is, he's just part of the reinforcements dealing with the secondary target that the reinforcements were already handling.

Peelee
2019-05-13, 09:13 AM
I'm glad that the breakup was apparently amicable.

LasVegasLawyer
2019-05-13, 09:18 AM
Am I the only one who giggled like a middle-schooler at Belkar's "beating the worm hand-to-hand" joke?

Grey_Wolf_c
2019-05-13, 09:20 AM
...Also, does it makes sense to say "cousin's brother-in-law's niece"? If she's the niece of the husband of the sister of the cousin, then he could just say cousin's husband's niece, because the sister of the cousin is also a cousin. If on the other hand she's the niece of the brother of the wife of the cousin, then he could just say cousin's wife's niece, because the niece of the brother is also a niece. Hmmm...

Durkon's cousin has a spouse, who has a brother, who is married to someone whose sibling has a child. The niece is niece to the brother through marriage, but is not the niece of the spouse.

Grey Wolf

Ornithologist
2019-05-13, 09:20 AM
I'm actually suprised most by the fact that Durkon knows the family member he's talking about by that description. I can't even follow that much in my own family.

A large extended family is going to have at least a few very powerful people floating around in it somewhere. This as a natural extention of Durkon's whole family history as it were. Also, I can see that Durkon and his family are the people who will be able to get into the inner sanctum and fix thingsTM So, I'm glad to know that Durkon will have some good backup.

Requiem_Jeer
2019-05-13, 09:23 AM
... I think that guys an incarnate. Blue auras, a longsword incarnate weapon would indicate a Law Incarnate... There are definitely soulmelds that would result in an affected voice and glowing eyes... Dwarves make great ones... Yeah the number of soulmelds is kind of light but I wouldn't expect Rich to render all of them, that's unreasonable to ask.

I suspect this is a cameo from ze Kickstarter or such, someone wanting to see an incarnum user.

Grey_Wolf_c
2019-05-13, 09:23 AM
I'm actually suprised most by the fact that Durkon knows the family member he's talking about by that description. I can't even follow that much in my own family.

That's because you are not as conscientious of family as Durkon is. Which, to be fair, is all of us, probably. Beating Durkon at family duty is like trying to out-do O-Chul at paladin-off.

Grey Wolf

Jannoire
2019-05-13, 09:24 AM
So, I'm glad to know that Durkon will have some good backup.

Pun intended?

JackPhoenix
2019-05-13, 09:31 AM
Rich advertises his Champion (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?172910-Articles-Previously-Appearing-on-GiantITP-com&p=9623431#post9623431) class?

Ornithologist
2019-05-13, 09:31 AM
Pun intended?

.... no... Though I would have intended it if I had noticed it....

Toper
2019-05-13, 09:32 AM
I thought spell-like abilities couldn't be interrupted, but it turns out that Roy knows the rules (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#spellLikeAbilities) better than I do.

That's because you are not as conscientious of family as Durkon is. Which, to be fair, is all of us, probably. Beating Durkon at family duty is like trying to out-do O-Chul at paladin-off.
While true, it's a little surprising that "cousin's brother-in-law's niece" references a unique individual. Maybe he doesn't have many cousins. Your analysis of the relationship a few posts up was very helpful!

leon666
2019-05-13, 09:35 AM
Guess it's only me who went straight to Tarquin in disguise?

Fyraltari
2019-05-13, 09:35 AM

Durkon has a cousin, let's assume Captain Logann, that cousin has a sibling who is married to a man, that man has a sibling who has a daughter. That daughter is engaged to the concentrated ball of awesomeness seen here.

Syncrogti
2019-05-13, 09:37 AM
So glad a left handed character is represented here. I was feeling very marginalized until Giant validated my existence (sarcasm). Next we need one named Frank and i will be good to go.

hamishspence
2019-05-13, 09:39 AM
So has Celia...

I can't recall any Air Outsiders that look like dwarves though, offhand.

Personification
2019-05-13, 09:40 AM
I thought spell-like abilities couldn't be interrupted, but it turns out that Roy knows the rules (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#spellLikeAbilities) better than I do.

While true, it's a little surprising that "cousin's brother-in-law's niece" references a unique individual. Maybe he doesn't have many cousins. Your analysis of the relationship a few posts up was very helpful!

Durkon only has two cousins, Logan and his sister. When they last met, Logan was (presumably) married to someone who had a brother who was married to someone with a sibling who had a daughter who was dating Thad. As shocking as her breaking up with Thad was, Logan's sister marrying into an identical situation was even less likely, and if Thad's ex's parents had another daughter in the time Durkon was gone, she would be too young to be engaged.

denthor
2019-05-13, 09:40 AM
Roy had a girlfriend with the same speech ballon. Cilia?

hamishspence
2019-05-13, 09:42 AM
Roy had a girlfriend with the same speech ballon. Cilia?

Yes - she was a Sylph - Outsider from the plane of Air. Other such outsiders include djinn - air genies

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0071.html

but they look a bit different.

Grey_Wolf_c
2019-05-13, 09:47 AM
it's a little surprising that "cousin's brother-in-law's niece" references a unique individual.

It probably only references a unique one at this time: all other possible cousin's brother-in-law's nieces fail in some "obvious" way (obvious to someone capable of picturing an extended family tree, that is): too young, already married, or are nephews and/or cousin's sister-in-law's's, or some combination thereof.

Grey Wolf

woweedd
2019-05-13, 09:49 AM
Theory: This guy's actually not a Dwarf at all. Through a complex series of events, he's actually a Giant. A VERY SMALL Giant.

Grey_Wolf_c
2019-05-13, 09:50 AM
Theory: This guy's actually not a Dwarf at all. Through a complex series of events, he's actually a very small Frost Giant.

Like a wise man once said:

I would say that's the dumbest theory Grey_Wolf's heard, but, let's be honest: It's Grey_Wolf. He's probably heard dumber theories today. Point is, neat idea, but it's a real stretch.

Grey Wolf

schmunzel
2019-05-13, 09:51 AM
Okay, now I'm really curious to find out who that is... And I don't really buy that story. A guy that mysterious won't be just a relative of a relative twice removed...

<snip..>

family...

sch

woweedd
2019-05-13, 09:52 AM
Like a wise man once said:

Grey Wolf
And that man...WAS ME.

hamishspence
2019-05-13, 09:53 AM
Theory: This guy's actually not a Dwarf at all. Through a complex series of events, he's actually a Giant. A VERY SMALL Giant.

Planar Handbook does have "Frost Dwarves" at least. Maybe he's one of those?

http://archive.wizards.com/dnd/images/planar_gallery/82544.jpg

Glowing eyes - check. Massive horns on helmet - check.

Grey_Wolf_c
2019-05-13, 09:54 AM
And that man...WAS ME.

I am quite aware. That was the point of the joke, in fact. I'd not have used that quote otherwise.

Frog: well dissected.

Grey Wolf

woweedd
2019-05-13, 09:55 AM

Theory: He's a Half-Halfling, Half-Giant. It evens out as identical to a Dwarf

I am quite aware. That was the point of the joke, in fact. I'd not have used that quote otherwise.

Frog: well dissected.

Grey Wolf
Dead horse: BEATEN TO A PULP.

bc56
2019-05-13, 09:59 AM
How do we know that this guy isn't Thad in disguise?

Grey_Wolf_c
2019-05-13, 10:01 AM
How do we know that this guy isn't Thad in disguise?

Durkon's family doesn't lie to family, and he didn't introduce himself as Thad.

Grey Wolf

Larre Gannd
2019-05-13, 10:02 AM

I am beginning to suspect hive mind

hamishspence
2019-05-13, 10:02 AM
Frost giants speak blue-on-blue, rather than white-on-blue

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1075.html

so this guy's blue bubble may not be because of just an affinity with Cold.

littlebum2002
2019-05-13, 10:03 AM

That's unlikely, considering the MitD is a very small giant.

woweedd
2019-05-13, 10:04 AM
That's unlikely, considering the MitD is a very small giant.
And MITD is an Earth-shaking badass, so...

hamishspence
2019-05-13, 10:05 AM
The speech bubble matches Celia's better than any other so far - so I think this guy is most likely to have something to do with the Plane of Air.

Tundar
2019-05-13, 10:08 AM

Bugger me, I had all forgotten about that specific dialogue. Bloody awesome movie, too!
And thank you.

woweedd
2019-05-13, 10:08 AM
The speech bubble matches Celia's better than any other so far - so I think this guy is most likely to have something to do with the Plane of Air.
Planetouched Psion?

zimmerwald1915
2019-05-13, 10:14 AM
Was that a soulknife???
I don't think so. The last time we saw one, she had an ordinary humanoid speech bubble. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0730.html)

HandofShadows
2019-05-13, 10:15 AM
That was great. Hi, By!:smallbiggrin:

theinsulabot
2019-05-13, 10:16 AM
I can’t believe I am the first one to speculate that’s durkon’s father. Yes I know he is dead, didn’t stop soon.

woweedd
2019-05-13, 10:21 AM
I don't think so. The last time we saw one, she had an ordinary humanoid speech bubble. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0730.html)
It's possible he has some template, like Planetouched, in addition to the powers.

Hekko
2019-05-13, 10:22 AM
As Grey_Wolf_c pointed out colored speech balloons usually mean some kind of outsider. Cousin's brother-in-law's niece's fiancé (Cbilnf for short) has the same color scheme in his speech balloons as Celia (example (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0269.html)) so maybe he's got a connection to the elemental plane of air, or maybe that's the generic color for all good-aligned outsiders. Unlike Celia, Cbilnf gets a different font than everyone else when he speaks. That may be significant, or it may just be that we haven't seen Celia (I think) since the latest art upgrade.

I prefer to call him not-Thad, in a loving memory of Thog's speech pattern.

Aveline
2019-05-13, 10:24 AM
I can’t believe I am the first one to speculate that’s durkon’s father. Yes I know he is dead, didn’t stop soon.

Risen to engage his wife's friend's child's spouse's brother's spouse's sibling's daughter for marriage? :smallconfused:

Cicciograna
2019-05-13, 10:25 AM
... I think that guys an incarnate. Blue auras, a longsword incarnate weapon would indicate a Law Incarnate... There are definitely soulmelds that would result in an affected voice and glowing eyes... Dwarves make great ones... Yeah the number of soulmelds is kind of light but I wouldn't expect Rich to render all of them, that's unreasonable to ask.

I suspect this is a cameo from ze Kickstarter or such, someone wanting to see an incarnum user.

You know, for some reason I always had the impression that Incarnum was a childe of Rich's. I seem to remember that the Giant admitted coming up with a very specific mechanics for the 3.5 Edition but that for copyright reasons he's not allowed to mention it in his comic...except that there have been a couple of slips, one of them HUGE (Azure City and all that color), and a mention to an 18th level Incarnum user who was left there, hanging, never touched again.

Or maybe I'm totaly wrong, who knows :smalltongue:

woweedd
2019-05-13, 10:30 AM
You know, for some reason I always had the impression that Incarnum was a childe of Rich's. I seem to remember that the Giant admitted coming up with a very specific mechanics for the 3.5 Edition but that for copyright reasons he's not allowed to mention it in his comic...except that there have been a couple of slips, one of them HUGE (Azure City and all that color), and a mention to an 18th level Incarnum user who was left there, hanging, never touched again.

...That line was a joke about how useless Incarnum is*, so...

*"That leaves us a bushel of fortune cookies, an 18th-level Incarnum user, and a magic 8-ball" "Bring up the cookies, keep the 8-ball on standby".

137beth
2019-05-13, 10:33 AM
Ah, right. The current generation of dwarves also have heroes.

JackPhoenix
2019-05-13, 10:34 AM

That's easy to check: if Rich was working on MoI, he would be mentioned in the credits. If he's trully not allowed to mention the mechanics he came up with, it's more likely it was never published. And considering how long it was since 3.5 ceased being supported, it never will.

I wouldn't put much weight on Azure City or off-hand mention of a specific 3.5 thing... the later isn't uncommon in the comic.

Jaxzan Proditor
2019-05-13, 10:43 AM
So, does anyone with more 3.5 knowledge than me happen to know what that guy‘s deal is? Also, the title of this strip is quite possibly one of my favorites.

Am I the only one who giggled like a middle-schooler at Belkar's "beating the worm hand-to-hand" joke?

No, there’s at least one other.

Hardcore
2019-05-13, 10:45 AM

Thanks! I was thinking too literally and thought it was something in the older strips.

HouseRules
2019-05-13, 10:49 AM
Half-Celestial Dwarf?

Awakeninfinity
2019-05-13, 11:03 AM
Half-Celestial Dwarf?

That is what I think he is; also maybe a self-buffing Gish or psychic warrior.

GreatWyrmGold
2019-05-13, 11:05 AM
Ok, Durkon, I know you liked Thad, but the new guy is clearly pretty awesome. You should give him a chance.
Yeah, but I'm pretty sure he's a soulknife. They look awesome, but their class features make them about as useful a monk or an expert or a fiii...never mind.

If he hasn't been mentioned before, that doesn't mean he didn't exist, he just hadn't been mentioned so far. It was just a passing reference to drive home how Durkon has so many distant relatives he knows about and keeps track of.
Which, despite Elan's assumptions, makes him basically the opposite of a bard who doesn't even know where his immediate family is until they get into a plotline together.

I'm more surprised that he only has one cousin's brother-in-law's niece.

Tarquin's taller and doesn't use those cool energy sword things. And if he could, he would, because dang does that guy like his Star Wars references.

The_Weirdo
2019-05-13, 11:06 AM
:durkon:: "You're not my Thad!"

SilverCacaobean
2019-05-13, 11:14 AM
Well, a family that big, someone's bound to be a high level badass :smalltongue:. I think it'll be very funny if that guy is never seen or mentioned again. Anyway, whatever happens with him, he got a laugh out of me.

To my shame, I laughed at Belkar's joke more. :P

Reboot
2019-05-13, 11:16 AM
Half-Celestial Dwarf?
Celestial get black-on-yellow/orange speech balloons.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0664.html
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1147.html

As mentioned, the closest seen colour-wise is Celia, but she never got a non-standard font.

Draconi Redfir
2019-05-13, 11:22 AM
Poor Thad :P

New guys seems kinda like a death-knight to me. would be kinda ironic if he was some kind of undead.

Riftwolf
2019-05-13, 11:24 AM
Not one to hoard her wealth, Sigdi passed her badassery onto random family members every Dwarfmas...
Is there a class that requires a few rounds to 'charge up' attacks? Or is this a Dwarf Saiyan?

Grey_Wolf_c
2019-05-13, 11:25 AM

New guys seems kinda like a death-knight to me. would be kinda ironic if he was some kind of undead.

That would make him one of those disgusting biophilics.

Thankfully, he'd also talk white-on-black.

Grey Wolf

Riftwolf
2019-05-13, 11:25 AM

I thought the same XD Durkons family is so sprawling it ranges into different gaming franchises!

Brassthorn
2019-05-13, 11:33 AM
I'm going to go with ... Totemist/Ironsoul ForgeMaster, given that he seems reasonably competent and the blue screams Incarnum. Totemist because no Soulborn has glowing blue eyes (they're yellow, green, red or black) and Incarnate has poor BAB.

Fyraltari
2019-05-13, 11:34 AM
That would make him one of those disgusting biophiliacs.

That’s making an assumption about Durkon’s cousin’s brother-in-law’s niece’s life status. I mean, it would explain how her relationship with Thad ended.

Gluteus_Maximus
2019-05-13, 11:35 AM
Hell, durkon's family's smaller than mine, and I can't follow his!

I hope we get to see this guy's face and the rest of his personality by the end of the arc, though. Can't just leave dwarven lands with the hope that durkon's cousin's brother-in-law's niece's is going to be living with a sudden chivalrous badass instead of Thad! Poor thad.

Reboot
2019-05-13, 11:36 AM

Death Knight: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0437.html

Leftour
2019-05-13, 11:39 AM
To those talking about deus ex machina, this is a cr 5 elemental (about 60 hp) that has received at least a flamestrike in the face. You dont need to be really op to finish it. The new guy is probably strong enough to make a difference but not necesserily high lvl.

Draconi Redfir
2019-05-13, 11:44 AM
That would make him one of those disgusting biophilics.

Thankfully, he'd also talk white-on-black.

Grey Wolf

Some kind of frost-based undead rather then negitive-energy based undead then?:smalltongue:

acpiper
2019-05-13, 11:50 AM
That cape looks like a dishtowel. Is it secured with clothespins? That's how I used to fly.

Blatt
2019-05-13, 11:53 AM
Looks like elementals don't get X's in their eyes when they die ---- or it's not dead... dun, dun, dun!

Jannoire
2019-05-13, 11:55 AM
Some kind of frost-based undead rather then negitive-energy based undead then?:smalltongue:

So, after Rich stole from Endgame he is now copying from game of thrones

Rogar Demonblud
2019-05-13, 11:57 AM
Dammit Rich, how do you keep sneak attacking our funny bones like that?

Fyraltari
2019-05-13, 12:00 PM
Dammit Rich, how do you keep sneak attacking our funny bones like that?

Lots of practice.

zimmerwald1915
2019-05-13, 12:03 PM
Looks like elementals don't get X's in their eyes when they die ---- or it's not dead... dun, dun, dun!
Monsters summoned with summon monster do not die when they are killed. They return to their plane of origin, none the worse for wear.

Fyraltari
2019-05-13, 12:04 PM
Monsters summoned with summoned monster do not die when they are killed. They return to their plane of origin, none the worse for wear.

Can you summon someone from the plane you are on? Someone standing next two you? Does that give them twice the HP?

jwhouk
2019-05-13, 12:10 PM
Sigdi doesn't believe in bringing a knife to a gunfight.

She brings a tank. :smallbiggrin:

Peelee
2019-05-13, 12:11 PM

Im joining Team Frost Dwarf!

slayerx
2019-05-13, 12:12 PM

If i got it right, The dark helmet guy actually made it more confusing than it needed to be, since referring to Durkon's "cousin's brother-in-law" is actually redundant. His "cousin's brother in law" would be the husband of his cousin's sister who in turn is also Durkon's cousin, so Dark Helmet could have just said "your cousin's husband's Niece's fiance" though he could have also just said "I am the fiance of your cousin-in-law's niece"

Jasdoif
2019-05-13, 12:13 PM
Can you summon someone from the plane you are on? Someone standing next two you? Does that give them twice the HP?Well....Assuming all the hoops have been jumped through to have a magical effect that summons (not calls) a specific creature, one who happens to be next to you....It takes 24 hours for a "killed" summoned creature to reform (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm#summoning), so having twice the HP may not be as useful as expected.

zimmerwald1915
2019-05-13, 12:13 PM
Can you summon someone from the plane you are on?
Not with summon monster, nor with any other spell with which I'm familiar. In OOTS, however, you demonstrably can whisk someone across a plane to your side. Dorukan does so with respect to Lirian. The exact mechanics of how he does so are not clear; given the magic circle he uses, however, it is probably a calling effect of some kind.

Jay R
2019-05-13, 12:21 PM
I believe that the rules of the internet now require us to demand a complete backstory for not-Thad.

Doug Lampert
2019-05-13, 12:22 PM

But at least they stayed friends.

Draconi Redfir
2019-05-13, 12:26 PM
But at least they stayed friends.

true. he might even be in the battle right now!

JackPhoenix
2019-05-13, 12:32 PM
Death Knight: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0437.html

Yeah. D&D Death Knight =/= WoW Death Knight.

Icy beard: no check. That's kinda more important than glowing eyes (which isn't clear from the picture, may be just monocolor on frost dwarf) or horned helmet (which anyone can wear... see Hilga)

tyckspoon
2019-05-13, 12:33 PM
So, does anyone with more 3.5 knowledge than me happen to know what that guy‘s deal is? Also, the title of this strip is quite possibly one of my favorites.

Not with certainty, there's a lot of options that could meet what is displayed. Soulknife (makes psychic weapons) and Incarnate (uses magical soul-stuff to shape various pseudo-magic-items, literally everything is blue to the point of near self-parody) are probably the closest matches. Soulknives don't typically wear heavy armor - they don't get class-granted proficiency - but there's no particular reason for them not to if they get that proficiency from multiclassing or a feat. Nothing to explain the glowing blue eyes or font effect, tho, Soulknives don't really *do* anything aside from the psychic weapon thing.

Incarnates don't typically do heavy armor either, but again there is nothing in their class that would forbid them from doing so if they wanted. One of their trademark soulmelds makes a weapon out of nothing, and like I said everything associated with incarnum is some shade of blue, so that would cover the visual effect neatly. Could be a Soulborn, perhaps, which is sort of the incarnum version of a Paladin.

'Course, we could also assume he's a Cleric, or just a Fighter, or almost any martial class benefiting from a couple of buffs. The only really distinct thing is the non-physical sword, and that could be the appearance of a Brilliant Energy weapon (or a normal sword with the appropriate spell cast on it) or a Flame Blade spell or something.

hamishspence
2019-05-13, 12:37 PM
Im joining Team Frost Dwarf!

They're Extraplanar (native to the Ice Wastes layer of the Abyss) but not Outsiders, or in possession of the [Evil] subtype, though they are listed as Always CE.

Lord Torath
2019-05-13, 12:38 PM
Durkon's cousin has a spouse, who has a brother, who is married to someone whose sibling has a child. The niece is niece to the brother through marriage, but is not the niece of the spouse.

Grey WolfI always got funny looks when I told people my sister-in-law was getting married. But my wife's sister is my sister-in-law just as much as my brother's wife is. :smallwink:

Also, I guess we now know where Dark Helmet ended up.There goes the planet. :smallamused:

Anarion
2019-05-13, 12:48 PM
The comic title really does the trick to bring this one all together. Well done.

Dion
2019-05-13, 12:50 PM
Who in the heck is that? EDIT: did they just toss a dwarf? I thought you weren't allowed to do that (LOTR)

It’s clearly Redcloak’s niece.

You’re allowed to toss goblins.

ti'esar
2019-05-13, 12:55 PM
This was flat-out hilarious.

Draconi Redfir
2019-05-13, 12:56 PM
They're Extraplanar (native to the Ice Wastes layer of the Abyss) but not Outsiders, or in possession of the [Evil] subtype, though they are listed as Always CE.

"Sometimes Good cannot defeat Evil. It must be pitied upon by a different KIND of evil."

-Some woman from some Riddick movie

"You are badguy. this does not mean you are bad guy!"

-Zangief

So even if he IS evil, he could still be a decent guy and help out :smallwink:

Doug Lampert
2019-05-13, 12:56 PM
I always got funny looks when I told people my sister-in-law was getting married. But my wife's sister is my sister-in-law just as much as my brother's wife is. :smallwink:

I once had to come up with a way to describe my sister's husband's sister's husband. (I can't now remember why I had to have a term for him, he exists, but I'm not sure we've ever met.)

IIRC I just called him my brother-in-law's brother-in-law.

Psyren
2019-05-13, 12:58 PM
I'm going to go with ... Totemist/Ironsoul ForgeMaster, given that he seems reasonably competent and the blue screams Incarnum. Totemist because no Soulborn has glowing blue eyes (they're yellow, green, red or black) and Incarnate has poor BAB.

All the BAB part needs is a multiclass though, and Incarnum is pretty friendly towards multiclassing. Fighter is a favored class for Dwarves, so I'm going with Fighter/Incarnate.

...That line was a joke about how useless Incarnum is*, so...

*"That leaves us a bushel of fortune cookies, an 18th-level Incarnum user, and a magic 8-ball" "Bring up the cookies, keep the 8-ball on standby".

To be fair, it might have been a commentary on how useless (or at least inscrutable) Incarnum would be for that specific situation (i.e. unearthing buried secrets in someone's mind.) Which it more or less is. Smashing an elemental is definitely within its purview however.

hamishspence
2019-05-13, 01:01 PM
"Sometimes Good cannot defeat Evil. It must be pitied upon by a different KIND of evil."

"You are badguy. this does not mean you are bad guy!"

-Zangief

Indeed. Or, like V mentioned with dragons, he has free will, and chose to exercise it in the non-evil direction.

understatement
2019-05-13, 01:01 PM
Wow, Redcloak's niece sure looked different than expected! Now the dwarves actually stand a chance...

On a side note, love Roy and Belkar's banter. Personally getting ready for some man-on-worm action.

Draconi Redfir
2019-05-13, 01:02 PM
Indeed. Or, like V mentioned with dragons, he has free will, and chose to exercise it in the non-evil direction.

This is true! Maybe Durkon's cousin's brother-in-law's neice or whatever managed to make him change his ways with her beauty and charm!:smalltongue:

Fyraltari
2019-05-13, 01:06 PM

You can't be evil and decent, these are mutually exclusive. However, as the Giant doesn't like the "always evil race" trope, this might not be an issue.

zimmerwald1915
2019-05-13, 01:06 PM
This is true! Maybe Durkon's cousin's brother-in-law's neice or whatever managed to make him change his ways with her beauty and charm!:smalltongue:
Ugh. Could we not?

schmunzel
2019-05-13, 01:07 PM
So has Celia...
I guess, we'll see more of Cbilnf. It feels too much like a deus ex machina to just have him being a part of the family... Plus he doesn't give his name...

I cant see this dwarf (beard) blue eyed armored bad ass Stone elemental beheading (fighter?) (at least level -- what?15?of what exactly?) as being Celia

PLUS
How would Celia now know of Durkons extended family tree and start dating his cousins' bother in law's niece??

Deus ex machina would be if the guy beat not only the golems, but also the evil death worm, then entered the council room and resolved the entire situation by himself.

As it is, he's just part of the reinforcements dealing with the secondary target that the reinforcements were already handling.

So much for Grey Wolf c expecting the order to steamroll the situation - some 3 threads ago?

sch

Draconi Redfir
2019-05-13, 01:17 PM
You can't be evil and decent, these are mutually exclusive. However, as the Giant doesn't like the "always evil race" trope, this might not be an issue.

hey, just because a man has a secret basement where he plots out how to overthrow the empire, topple the nobility, and introduce his own goddess to the pantheon, DOESN'T MEAN he can't be a loving husband and father who takes his kids out camping, helps his neighbors build a shed, and donates to the local charities to help feed disaster victims.

Elvensilver
2019-05-13, 01:17 PM
This comic is another proof for the impact of the Thundershields on people. In just 50something years, Sigdi Thundershield turned a small family of 3 (Her, Durkon, Grandpa) into a small army, willing to come to fight in life-threatening situations if any of the members were in danger. Not only dwarves with a direct bound to her, but 3,4 degrees removed like cool new dwarf, who als knows of Durkon, showing how deeply integrated in this family he has become. Given how fast this extended familiy with its strong loyality to eachother grew, in just another 50years Sigdi will have become matriach of all dwarfed. After all, this looks like exponentiell growth, there are only 1milion dwarves, and who wouldn't like to be a part of this awesome familiy?

gatemansgc
2019-05-13, 01:19 PM
Rich advertises his Champion (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?172910-Articles-Previously-Appearing-on-GiantITP-com&p=9623431#post9623431) class?

well that was really neat to read.

we'll likely have to wait for next comic to find out for sure.

MReav
2019-05-13, 01:27 PM

Does that make him a dwarf giant or a giant dwarf?

Grey_Wolf_c
2019-05-13, 01:36 PM
If i got it right, The dark helmet guy actually made it more confusing than it needed to be, since referring to Durkon's "cousin's brother-in-law" is actually redundant. His "cousin's brother in law" would be the husband of his cousin's sister who in turn is also Durkon's cousin

No. Durkon's cousin's brother-in-law is the brother of Durkon's cousin's spouse. Not the same as the spouse of the cousin's sibling.

So much for Grey Wolf c expecting the order to steamroll the situation - some 3 threads ago?

sch

I did what now?

Grey Wolf

hamishspence
2019-05-13, 01:39 PM
The Spiritual Weapon of a Lawful cleric is a longsword:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/spiritualWeapon.htm

As to why the blue text and glowing eyes - something Air related - perhaps an Elemental-centric prestige class?

schmunzel
2019-05-13, 01:41 PM
No. Durkon's cousin's brother-in-law is the brother of Durkon's cousin's spouse. Not the same as the spouse of the cousin's sibling.

I did what now?

Grey Wolf

Sure I thought that was you.
Will try to look it up once I have some time

sch

woweedd
2019-05-13, 01:45 PM
Gonna say he's a...half-Sladd, who was Planetouched by Air and, for good measure, is using Soulknives.

schmunzel
2019-05-13, 01:49 PM
<snip>
I did what now?

Grey Wolf
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=23759902&postcount=203

I apologize as it was Jasdoif

sch

Lheticus
2019-05-13, 02:00 PM
Just thought I'd let you all know that I took the liberty of starting a character entry on TV Tropes for Durkon's Cousin's Brother-in-law's Niece's Fiancé: https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Characters/TheOrderOfTheStickNorthernLands (under "Thundershield Family and Friends)

Because I REALLY hope he's not just a one-shot character, I want to see more of this guy in the battle to come. It would make more sense to me if we did, anyway. There's a lot more head busting he could do.

Rogar Demonblud
2019-05-13, 02:04 PM
This comic is another proof for the impact of the Thundershields on people. In just 50 something years, Sigdi Thundershield turned a small family of 3 (Her, Durkon, Grandpa) into a small army, willing to come to fight in life-threatening situations if any of the members were in danger. Not only dwarves with a direct bound to her, but 3,4 degrees removed like cool new dwarf, who also knows of Durkon, showing how deeply integrated in this family he has become. Given how fast this extended family with its strong loyalty to each other grew, in just another 50years Sigdi will have become matriarch of all dwarfed. After all, this looks like exponential growth, there are only 1 million dwarves, and who wouldn't like to be a part of this awesome family?

There are over ten million dwarves, according to the discussion at the Godsmoot.

afnolte
2019-05-13, 02:07 PM

It's fine as long as you don't tell the elf.

hamishspence
2019-05-13, 02:09 PM
Main problem with the idea of his weapon being a Spiritual Weapon is that those are used at a distance, not melee.

Another possibility:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/flameBlade.htm

Lheticus
2019-05-13, 02:13 PM

I think you mean "coup de grace" here? A coup d'etat is the overthrowing of an established government. Like what Redcloak did to Azure City.

Fyraltari
2019-05-13, 02:21 PM
hey, just because a man has a secret basement where he plots out how to overthrow the empire, topple the nobility, and introduce his own goddess to the pantheon, DOESN'T MEAN he can't be a loving husband and father who takes his kids out camping, helps his neighbors build a shed, and donates to the local charities to help feed disaster victims.
Leaving aside the fact that overthrowing empires, toppling nobilities and religious proselytism aren’t evil per se, in D&D, to be evil you need to be at least willing to murder innocents for personal gain. That immediately disqualified you from being a ‘decent guy’. A decent father, wife or cook, maybe. But not a decent person.

I think you mean "coup de grace" here? A coup d'etat is the overthrowing of an established government. Like what Redcloak did to Azure City.
What Redcloak did was foreign conquest, coups are internal affairs, if often backed by foreign powers. What Kubota was aiming for, that was a coup.

hamishspence
2019-05-13, 02:22 PM
A coup d'etat is the overthrowing of an established government. Like what Redcloak did to Azure City.

No, that's conquest.

A coup d'état is internal - the overthrow of a ruler by their subordinates.

EDIT: Swordsaged.

zimmerwald1915
2019-05-13, 02:25 PM
It's fine as long as you don't tell the elf.
The elf is both preoccupied and indifferent in any event.

Halfling-tossing, on the other hand. . .

hamishspence
2019-05-13, 02:28 PM
in D&D, to be evil you need to be at least willing to murder innocents for personal gain.

There's a certain amount of flexibility on this, depending on the setting and the ruleset. Some evil characters may be only willing to commit petty evil - but the fact that they commit petty evil a lot and good, hardly ever, makes them evil-aligned.

Ruck
2019-05-13, 02:28 PM
So, after Rich stole from Endgame he is now copying from game of thrones

Is this a serious post?

Yes, I think it's only you. (in each case)

Half-Celestial Dwarf?

So Durkon is related to Haley, too?

Riftwolf
2019-05-13, 02:32 PM

*spits out tea*
That wasn't just 'some woman' that was Dame Judy Dench show some friggin respect!

Necris Omega
2019-05-13, 02:36 PM
"Giant planar worm, eh? I'll see your convenient Gate spell and raise you an even convenienter epic(ish) level super distant relative your vampire daddy would never have had any reason whatsoever to know about/prepare you for!"

I was worried that Durkon's family would be all low level fodder barely fit for annoying the Vampires to any meaningful extent. This? This is good. This works.

Familia ex machina? I don't care. I like it. I don't mind this one bit. The Order's taking on WORLD ENDING threats at this point -breaking out the flasher powers and characters is entirely appropriate.

Borris
2019-05-13, 02:37 PM
I hope this was a one-shot character. To me, it'd make the joke even better. To Durkon, it's just yet another member of an impressive extended family. Durkon is more surprised that his cousin's brother-in-law's niece broke up with Thad than by whoever the newcomer may be.

deimos3428
2019-05-13, 03:01 PM
I hope this was a one-shot character. To me, it'd make the joke even better. To Durkon, it's just yet another member of an impressive extended family. Durkon is more surprised that his cousin's brother-in-law's niece broke up with Thad than by whoever the newcomer may be.

I think the whole point of the character is to point out that there are high level NPCs out there that may not be directly tied to this plot. The Order may be trying to save this threat to the world, but they're not the only high level characters out there. It also had a certain "Captain Marvel was busy" rationalization to it.

t209
2019-05-13, 03:07 PM
So reference to Space Balls' "I am your (distant relative)"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZd_YyFzPD0

Fyraltari
2019-05-13, 03:32 PM
Have we seen the redhead soldier before? She looks familiar somehow. I wonder how many soldiers Logann could muster on such short notice and wether he thought of notifying his hierarchy.

Ironsmith
2019-05-13, 03:36 PM
Excuse me, Mister Burlew? I think you got some Skyrim in your Dungeons and Dragons; specifically, a One-Handed Heavy Armor warrior (with a side serving of Conjuration) using a Bound Sword to deliver a cinematic kill.

Really says something about how extensive Durkon's family tree is, though.

Kareasint
2019-05-13, 03:44 PM
I am not even going to try to guess what he is. That was an awesome move though.

hamishspence
2019-05-13, 03:45 PM
Really says something about how extensive Durkon's family tree is, though.

I'm guessing that "Cousin" can refer to one of the offspring of Durkon's "uncles" and "aunts" (the people Sigdi saved) rather than a cousin by blood.

Ironsmith
2019-05-13, 03:46 PM
I'm guessing that "Cousin" can refer to one of the offspring of Durkon's "uncles" and "aunts" (the people Sigdi saved) rather than a cousin by blood.

Well, yeah. What I was referring to is that he's apparently got family from another game system in another medium, though. In a setting where all the dwarves have disappeared, no less!

Squire Doodad
2019-05-13, 03:51 PM
So reference to Space Balls' "I am your (distant relative)"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZd_YyFzPD0

Consarnabit, I was just about to post this.

My family has basically a tradition vis a vis watching Spaceballs with "new family members" (either fiances or really close friends, plus one or two more) for several reasons, so this strip hit overly close home. In a nice way.

Actually, I've thought about that, and assuming a two person family, that means that...
Lonestar's father's brother is Lonestar's uncle.
Lonestar's uncle's nephew is...Lonestar.
Lonestar's cousin is...Lonestar's cousin.
Lonestar's cousin's roommate in college is...Dark Helmet?
Either way, the point stands- either Lonestar's cousin's former roommate is Dark Helmet, or in a more complicated scenario with 3 or more family members, Lonestar himself is Dark Helmet's former roommate.

MartianInvader
2019-05-13, 04:00 PM
I'm gonna hop on the "No justification whatsoever, but I think that's Durkon's Dad somehow" bandwagon.

Fyraltari
2019-05-13, 04:00 PM

Yes, it (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0962.html) does (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1088.html).

JumboWheat01
2019-05-13, 04:02 PM
I want to see this spiderweb of a family tree now. It can only be amazing.

Werbaer
2019-05-13, 04:21 PM
I think the idea is that Durkon has a very large, very extended family (as he basically inherited the families of everyone that Sigdi sacrificed her fortune to Raise). . .
These five are the ones with no living family (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1128.html)

ManuelSacha
2019-05-13, 04:51 PM
I didn't think coup de tat or criticals affected elementals

Maybe it liked the previous leader of its country better!

Just kidding.
The term you're looking for is "coup de grâce".
A "coup d'état" is the overthrow of an existing government.

RabidEel
2019-05-13, 04:57 PM
These five are the ones with no living family (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1128.html)

But some of them have married and/or had kids since, right? Or could have, if it doesn't say they did?

understatement
2019-05-13, 05:01 PM
So how would Spellsplinter work on a worm? Does Roy just chuck it up into the roof of its mouth, Harry-Potter-and-basilisk style?

Also, last panel: "I know what's it's like" probably should be either "what it's like" or "what's it like."

danielxcutter
2019-05-13, 05:02 PM
Wow. Okay, that was cool.

As someone mentioned, these elementals are fairly low CR who just took a Flame Strike from a high-level Cleric to the face, so Mister Blueblade doesn't have to be that high level. Plus, if he's a psionic character(I currently headcanon Soulknife), there's the Psionic Weapon feat tree which adds extra damage to a single attack.

Ruck
2019-05-13, 05:07 PM
So how would Spellsplinter work on a worm? Does Roy just chuck it up into the roof of its mouth, Harry-Potter-and-basilisk style?

Also, last panel: "I know what's it's like" probably should be either "what it's like" or "what's it like."

"what it's like," most likely.

Fyraltari
2019-05-13, 05:08 PM
But some of them have married and/or had kids since, right? Or could have, if it doesn't say they did?

They did (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0962.html). Logann is the son of the only dwarf Sigdi rescued who doesn't have a name, the twins are Shirra's sons (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1086.html) (presumably) and Durkon did perform that wedding (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1130.html).

Sniccups
2019-05-13, 05:12 PM
Wow. Okay, that was cool.

As someone mentioned, these elementals are fairly low CR who just took a Flame Strike from a high-level Cleric to the face, so Mister Blueblade doesn't have to be that high level. Plus, if he's a psionic character(I currently headcanon Soulknife), there's the Psionic Weapon feat tree which adds extra damage to a single attack.

Going by the Summon Monster VII spell used to summon them, they are Large earth elementals, which are CR 5 and have an average of 68 HP. Considering that this is the same Flame Strike that killed Durkon yesterday, it likely could be taken out by a nonmagical weapon in one hit.

hamishspence
2019-05-13, 05:16 PM
Considering that this is the same Flame Strike that killed Durkon yesterday, it likely could be taken out by a nonmagical weapon in one hit.

Raised creatures don't come back with full hit points - only as many hit points as they have hit dice:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/raiseDead.htm

so Durkon would only have 14 hit points after being Raised the first time.

Still, Flame Strike at Hilgya's level is going to do a lot of damage. These elementals are likely to be low on HP.

Sniccups
2019-05-13, 05:26 PM
Raised creatures don't come back with full hit points - only as many hit points as they have hit dice:

Still, Flame Strike at Hilgya's level is going to do a lot of damage. These elementals are likely to be low on HP.

The first one was a resurrection, not a raise dead, in order to work on remains of undead. Resurrection gives you full hit points back.

Peelee
2019-05-13, 05:27 PM

Yeah, but Raise Dead doesn't work on vamped corpses. You're looking for Resurrection (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1149.html).

hamishspence
2019-05-13, 05:27 PM
The first one was a resurrection, not a raise dead, in order to work on remains of undead. Resurrection gives you full hit points back.

Fair enough.

Archeoaevis
2019-05-13, 05:28 PM
Okay, so we've seen a lot of ideas for who this guy is. But what if he was...

...the Monster in the Darkness?

Rogar Demonblud
2019-05-13, 05:29 PM
Can't be. He's not talking about stew.

Wysper
2019-05-13, 05:34 PM
What does that make us?
Absolutely Nothing which is what you about about to become.

Gluteus_Maximus
2019-05-13, 05:37 PM
If he's a frost dwarf I'm putting my money on him going with the order to Garner support from ice dwarf clans near the north pole to fight the bugbears and distract so they can commune with RC and kill Xykon in the next book

a1chemi
2019-05-13, 05:44 PM

I did what now?

Grey Wolf

You're right, but it is also still more complicated than it needs to be one way or another.

One case is it's his cousin's sibling's husband's niece, in which case the sibling is also a cousin and it is also the sibling's niece (you can marry into those) making it equal to "my cousin's niece".

The other possible case is his cousin's spouse's brother's niece (other form of brother in law). In this case the "brother's niece" part is redundant. That could be either cousin's spouse's niece or cousin's brother in law's daughter.

Anyway the way Rich did it is better, and not wrong if needfully complicated.

Fish
2019-05-13, 05:47 PM
He’s not the guy from the tavern way back in OtOoPCS, is he?

Dion
2019-05-13, 05:53 PM
Maybe he’s that barbarian dwarf dude from the statue. You know, the one the halfling was all sad about.

Kraagor, I think.

Or maybe he’s Elan’s dad! Only he got really short, on account of falling off a blimp.

Zack Norglad
2019-05-13, 05:57 PM

But I don't think we will. I think the entire point of the strip is that he just appeared out of nowhere, did something over-the-top badass and practically useful in the situation, introduced his anything-but-dramatic relation to the plot in a dramatic way - and that's it.

That's all we'll see of him.

And that's the joke.

Well, one of the many!

Goblin_Priest
2019-05-13, 06:20 PM

And here I am, thinking: "What!? He only has one cousin who has only one brother-in-law who has only one niece (who has a fiancé)? In what's a presumably large family, that description is vague as hell, as I assume he would probably have a lot of cousins, most of which would have multiple brothers-in-law, and most of them would have nieces.

But then again, maybe the has "that" cousin's brother-in-law's niece who is just reputed to dig outsiders.

Matt620
2019-05-13, 06:24 PM
While I do love seeing unusual classes portrayed, I think I'm in the mood to get on with the plot.

Devonix
2019-05-13, 06:35 PM
Why are people acting like this is some random epic level character, He's most likely just a mid teir soul knife, Psion or spellblade. Strong but not epic or anything.

zimmerwald1915
2019-05-13, 07:02 PM
Why are people acting like this is some random epic level character, He's most likely just a mid teir soul knife, Psion or spellblade. Strong but not epic or anything.
Well, there's the fact that he trounced an encounter that was troubling the Order, but yeah, that doesn't say much. The Order fights with the effectiveness of a party with five fewer levels than it actually has.

Devonix
2019-05-13, 07:08 PM
Well, there's the fact that he trounced an encounter that was troubling the Order, but yeah, that doesn't say much. The Order fights with the effectiveness of a party with five fewer levels than it actually has.

Not really trouncing. He did the finishing strike to one of a pair of summoned creatures that a high level party as well as multiple lower level characters were already attacking.

He's most likely in the 7's or so. We're not introducing any level 10s or above this late in the game Especially with a party most likely in mid to low teens.

Paleomancer
2019-05-13, 07:43 PM

Sadly, that is a very true statement... But, they have been getting progressively better. I look forward to seeing further progress, especially as they get closer to fighting Xykon and possibly Redcloak.

I'm curious to see if Roy's Spellsplinter maneuver is effective against the Nightcrawler's spell-like or supernatural abilities. If this worm is anything like the 3.5 beastie, it will have formidable melee prowess (possibly better than any of the characters one-on-one), an energy drain debuff with every bite attack, and a swallow whole ability (on top of damage reduction and spell resistance). Engaging it in close-range combat, even if you can negate its magic, is hardly a soft option - Roy needs every advantage he can exploit. Though it would be a nice callback to the giant toad if Durkon helps Roy cut his way out of the worm's belly/maw - showing how he's learned to be more assertive and all that.

NerdyKris
2019-05-13, 07:55 PM
You're right, but it is also still more complicated than it needs to be one way or another.

One case is it's his cousin's sibling's husband's niece, in which case the sibling is also a cousin and it is also the sibling's niece (you can marry into those) making it equal to "my cousin's niece".

The other possible case is his cousin's spouse's brother's niece (other form of brother in law). In this case the "brother's niece" part is redundant. That could be either cousin's spouse's niece or cousin's brother in law's daughter.

The brother in law's niece is not on his side of the family, she's on his spouse's side. She's the child of the brother in law's spouse's sibling. That would mean she's not the niece of the brother in law's sibling, just the brother in law. You're only the niece or nephew of your parent's siblings and their spouses, not the siblings of your parent's siblings spouses.

Ghosty
2019-05-13, 09:29 PM
Not really trouncing. He did the finishing strike to one of a pair of summoned creatures that a high level party as well as multiple lower level characters were already attacking.

He's most likely in the 7's or so. We're not introducing any level 10s or above this late in the game Especially with a party most likely in mid to low teens.

And he's smart enough to start running away from the Lovable Eldritch Horror after shaking Durkon's hand. Doubt he's all that powerful.

The speech balloon is what's really strange about this whole thing. Guess one of Sigdi's extended family could've had a Roy/Celia type relationship with this guy.

I just love the idea of a literal deus ex machina helping the Order out, as many times as the Giant's been accused of using that device in his writing.

Ghosty
2019-05-13, 09:34 PM
Sadly, that is a very true statement... But, they have been getting progressively better. I look forward to seeing further progress, especially as they get closer to fighting Xykon and possibly Redcloak.

I'm curious to see if Roy's Spellsplinter maneuver is effective against the Nightcrawler's spell-like or supernatural abilities. If this worm is anything like the 3.5 beastie, it will have formidable melee prowess (possibly better than any of the characters one-on-one), an energy drain debuff with every bite attack, and a swallow whole ability (on top of damage reduction and spell resistance). Engaging it in close-range combat, even if you can negate its magic, is hardly a soft option - Roy needs every advantage he can exploit. Though it would be a nice callback to the giant toad if Durkon helps Roy cut his way out of the worm's belly/maw - showing how he's learned to be more assertive and all that.

If they get into melee with that thing, while they're able to do damage from thrown weapon attacks, Roy's a lot dumber than he's written to be so far. I'm a bit surprised the LDW didn't bull rush to try and inhale Held characters before Durkon could get the hold off of them. Or that the Exarrgh didn't try casting at Durkon to counter spell or smack the Held party members with unsavable damage, that sort of thing.

Peelee
2019-05-13, 09:44 PM
And he's smart enough to start running away from the Lovable Eldritch Horror after shaking Durkon's hand. Doubt he's all that powerful.

I'd say he's not running away from one monster, but rather towards another.

grandpheonix
2019-05-13, 10:17 PM
I feel like his name should be Azagoth just for the awesome font and color scheme.

Eladrinblade
2019-05-13, 10:40 PM
He resembles a draugr from skyrim.

Paleomancer
2019-05-13, 10:44 PM
If they get into melee with that thing, while they're able to do damage from thrown weapon attacks, Roy's a lot dumber than he's written to be so far. I'm a bit surprised the LDW didn't bull rush to try and inhale Held characters before Durkon could get the hold off of them. Or that the Exarrgh didn't try casting at Durkon to counter spell or smack the Held party members with unsavable damage, that sort of thing.

I would agree. Perhaps the worm, as a recent creation, is just too inexperienced to use its abilities to the max. We'll just have to see, I guess, what tactics are used :smallamused:. Roy does have the whole "Throw Sword" and "Harm Undead/Evil Outsider" things with his sword, though I'm not sure how often he can use either. Durkon can possibly go all "DURKON SMASH" with Thor's Favor. Varsuvius might have some useful spells that don't need spell-resistance (either buffs or debuffs).

Hmm... bets (I pledge ten 8-bit coins on each):

Durkon or Sigdi using dwarven stoneworking knowledge to plunge the Nightcrawler into the ravine (replicating Tenrin's defeat of the half-dragon troll by cave-in);
Sigdi catching someone with her arm to keep them from falling down the ravine (happened when Durkon was a child);
Durkon catching Sigdi to keep her from falling down the ravine (showing how he has learned from his mother's example);
Roy gets swallowed whole by the Nightcrawler and having Durkon demonstrate his newfound assertiveness to help rescue them (reflecting his growth from when he hesitated during the giant frog's attempted consumption of Roy);
The IFCC deciding to pull Vaarsuvius/Blackwing out of the battle in an attempt to destroy unit cohesion (probably unlikely, I admit);
The IFCC being frustrated when Roy's previous preparations with Vaarsuvius make that a pointless act;
A brief teasing reference that makes it seem as though Belkar is about to die, perhaps teetering towards the barrier that turns non-dwarves into stone (and thus "fulfill" his prophesy), only to have it be dismissed in the next panel.

What odds do you think for each?

I think you're right, he only defeated one of the earth elementals.

woweedd
2019-05-13, 10:48 PM
Lesson you learn as an adventurer: In this sort of situation, literally ANY direction counts as "towards a monster".

Ghosty
2019-05-13, 10:51 PM

Heck, I'd run away from the LDW. Do swallowed, level-drained entities get to go to Valhalla, or are their souls consumed? That alone would make me want to have nothing to do with the thing.

The large elementals, OTOH, are speed bumps.

Ghosty
2019-05-13, 10:59 PM
I would agree. Perhaps the worm, as a recent creation, is just too inexperienced to use its abilities to the max. We'll just have to see, I guess, what tactics are used :smallamused:. Roy does have the whole "Throw Sword" and "Harm Undead/Evil Outsider" things with his sword, though I'm not sure how often he can use either. Durkon can possibly go all "DURKON SMASH" with Thor's Favor. Varsuvius might have some useful spells that don't need spell-resistance (either buffs or debuffs).

Hmm... bets (I pledge ten 8-bit coins on each):

Durkon or Sigdi using dwarven stoneworking knowledge to plunge the Nightcrawler into the ravine (replicating Tenrin's defeat of the half-dragon troll by cave-in);
Sigdi catching someone with her arm to keep them from falling down the ravine (happened when Durkon was a child);
Durkon catching Sigdi to keep her from falling down the ravine (showing how he has learned from his mother's example);
Roy gets swallowed whole by the Nightcrawler and having Durkon demonstrate his newfound assertiveness to help rescue them (reflecting his growth from when he hesitated during the giant frog's attempted consumption of Roy);
The IFCC deciding to pull Vaarsuvius/Blackwing out of the battle in an attempt to destroy unit cohesion (probably unlikely, I admit);
The IFCC being frustrated when Roy's previous preparations with Vaarsuvius make that a pointless act;
A brief teasing reference that makes it seem as though Belkar is about to die, perhaps teetering towards the barrier that turns non-dwarves into stone (and thus "fulfill" his prophesy), only to have it be dismissed in the next panel.

What odds do you think for each? ...

Bust open the roof of the cavern, flood with sunlight, drive off LDW.

tigerusthegreat
2019-05-13, 11:44 PM
That last panel is why this comic will always be hilarious. I snorted so loud i woke the dog up. Poor Thad

Sloanzilla
2019-05-14, 12:15 AM
Dwarves take their families very seriously!

Emperor Time
2019-05-14, 12:21 AM
He looks strong but feel sorry for Durkon in not knowing everything that occur with his family members since his exile.

Nomen
2019-05-14, 01:14 AM
Possibility 1. I'm your cousin's daughter's fiance.
Possibility 2. I'm your cousin's step daughter's fiance.
Posibility 3. I'm your cousin's, spouse's, niece's fiance.
Unless he's just randomly making things more complicated than they have to be chances are Durken has more than one cousin's niece in law/cousin's step daughter/ cousin's daughter who is the right age to be engaged and is not already married.
You know the cousin's spouse who has a brother and a sister and the sister has a daughter, I'm engaged to that cousin's sister's daughter, not the brother's daughter.

You know the cousin's who's spouse has a brother and has a step daughter I'm engaged that cousins the step daughter.

1. You know the cousin who has a brother in law and a daughter, I'm engaged that cousin's daughter.

Psychronia
2019-05-14, 02:08 AM
Somehow, it both warms and hurts my heart for Durkon to have known his family so well that he not only knows who his cousin's brother-in-law's niece was dating, but was also close enough to have approved of her old boyfriend (Poor Thad). Not to mention that he apparently left enough memories with them to have a lot of stories to share in his absence.

Clearly, he missed a lot, but was never forgotten for a second despite that. It makes me wonder just how many people came asking questions after Durkon was first thrown out, because a big hole was left in the family.

Lyracian
2019-05-14, 03:26 AM
A rather odd introduction for New Character. Did one of the PC's die or maybe they brought their brother's cousin's fiancee to the game...

Grey_Wolf_c
2019-05-14, 06:28 AM

Or, the actual relationship is actually his cousin's spouse's brother's spouse's niece (i.e. spouses' sibling's child), and there is no simplification that can be done at all.

Grey Wolf

drazen
2019-05-14, 06:51 AM
Where did Hilgya go from #1162? She was right next to Sigdi, between Sigdi and the elementals, but is nowhere to be seen in this strip, despite Hoskin asking what the plan is right after charging in.

hroþila
2019-05-14, 07:18 AM
Where did Hilgya go from #1162? She was right next to Sigdi, between Sigdi and the elementals, but is nowhere to be seen in this strip, despite Hoskin asking what the plan is right after charging in.
She likely stepped aside to make room for all the newcomers who would naturally bunch up around Sigdi. There's quite a bit of movement between the end of #1162 and the start of #1163, judging by the relative positions of Durkon's family members.

KorvinStarmast
2019-05-14, 07:45 AM
I m joining Team Frost Dwarf! Seems more likely than the air elemental thing, since he needed a boost to get airborn and I'd expect an air based outsider/blend to have some kind of flying or temporary flying ability.
The Spiritual Weapon of a Lawful cleric is a longsword: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/spiritualWeapon.htm

As to why the blue text and glowing eyes - something Air related - perhaps an Elemental-centric prestige class? My problem with that is he needed help getting into the air, from the twins.

Well, yeah. What I was referring to is that he's apparently got family from another game system in another medium, though. In a setting where all the dwarves have disappeared, no less! So that's where they went ...
Though it would be a nice callback to the giant toad if Durkon helps Roy cut his way out of the worm's belly/maw - showing how he's learned to be more assertive and all that. That would be cool.
New dwarf Champion/Ice/Whatever is heading back to take on the other elemental, it seems ...

Jannoire
2019-05-14, 08:10 AM
Seems more likely than the air elemental thing, since he needed a boost to get airborn and I'd expect an air based outsider/blend to have some kind of flying or temporary flying ability. My problem with that is he needed help getting into the air, from the twins

But after that boost he went pretty far and wide. That doesn't seem to be the normal distant for Dwarf throwing...

danielxcutter
2019-05-14, 08:59 AM
Hmm... actually, whatever New Guy is, it's not a Soulborn:

Incarnum Defense (Su): Your incarnum-fused soul dramatically affects your body and mind. At 2nd level, this manifests as a visible change in your appearance, as well as a particular immunity. The appearance and effects of this fusion depend on your alignment:

Lawful Good: Your eyes become orbs of solid gold in color, with no visible pupil or iris. You gain immunity to fear.

Chaotic Good: Your irises turn emerald green. You gain immunity to paralysis.

Lawful Evil: Your pupils display an unholy red hue. You gain immunity to exhaustion (effects that would cause exhaustion render you fatigued instead).

Chaotic Evil: Your eyes become solid orbs of shadowy blackness, with no visible pupil or iris. You gain immunity to any penalty, damage, or drain to your Strength.

Blueblade's eyes don't fit any of these. Unless any Soulborn soulmelds do that?

Peelee
2019-05-14, 09:15 AM
But after that boost he went pretty far and wide. That doesn't seem to be the normal distant for Dwarf throwing...

What's the normal distance for dwarf throwing?

Fyraltari
2019-05-14, 09:16 AM
Hmm... actually, whatever New Guy is, it's not a Soulborn:

Blueblade's eyes don't fit any of these. Unless any Soulborn soulmelds do that?

So what you are saying is :

The Monster in the Dark is a LG Soulborn?

:smalltongue:

Jannoire
2019-05-14, 09:22 AM

According to the only source I have (LOTR), it's nowhere near the estimated height of those Elementals...

Peelee
2019-05-14, 09:44 AM
According to the only source I have (LOTR), it's nowhere near the estimated height of those Elementals...

According to that source, wizards should be significantly less powerful. Among many, many other things.

Fyraltari
2019-05-14, 09:54 AM
Well, the record was established in 1999 for a throw of 15,5m. Although that was purely horizontal distance.

Peelee
2019-05-14, 10:00 AM
Well, the record was established in 1999 for a throw of 15,5m. Although that was purely horizontal distance.

1999?!? That's 800 years in the future!

Fyraltari
2019-05-14, 10:08 AM
1999?!? That's 800 years in the future!

Sure, 20 years ago.

Skull the Troll
2019-05-14, 10:28 AM

Technically Redcloak was just a bog standard invasion. A coup de tat is usually the military arm of an established government taking over the whole government.

AutomatedTeller
2019-05-14, 12:46 PM
How did Durkon narrow it down to whoever was dating Thad? I'd think the number of people it could be would be many more than 1, no?

Grey_Wolf_c
2019-05-14, 12:59 PM
How did Durkon narrow it down to whoever was dating Thad? I'd think the number of people it could be would be many more than 1, no?

Not necessarily. And since Durkon knew who he was talking about, clearly there is only one Durkon's cousin's brother in law's niece in the dating scene at current time.

Grey Wolf

Jannoire
2019-05-14, 01:04 PM
According to that source, wizards should be significantly less powerful. Among many, many other things.

There are in story reasons for Gandalf to pull his punches. And in the case of Saruman.. He weilds a different kind of power.

Fyraltari
2019-05-14, 01:21 PM
Not necessarily. And since Durkon knew who he was talking about, clearly there is only one Durkon's cousin's brother in law's niece in the dating scene at current time.

Grey Wolf
Narrowing it further ‘‘in the dating scene and interested in men’’.

There are in story reasons for Gandalf to pull his punches. And in the case of Saruman.. He weilds a different kind of power.
Gandalf cannot make without fuel and cannot burn snow: Gandalf cannot cast fireball. He also cannot teleport.

Peelee
2019-05-14, 01:39 PM

Fly is a just third level spell, is all I'm saying.

Actually, to be fair, that's not all I'm saying; Middle-earth is a poor baseline to use for D&D powers, because most somewhat low level D&D character will outclass similar Middle-earth counterparts. Gandalf is just the easiest example.

Grey_Wolf_c
2019-05-14, 01:58 PM
Narrowing it further ‘‘in the dating scene and interested in men’’.

Or, for all we know, "interested only in half-outsiders that speak blue-on-blue".

Grey Wolf

Fyraltari
2019-05-14, 01:58 PM
Fly is a just third level spell, is all I'm saying.

Actually, to be fair, that's not all I'm saying; Middle-earth is a poor baseline to use for D&D powers, because most somewhat low level D&D character will outclass similar Middle-earth counterparts. Gandalf is just the easiest example.

Too many people do not realize that Middle Earth is a Low-Fantasy setting (or at least a low-magic one). At least in the Third Age. Hùrin is about on par with D&D Fighters and Felagund is what D&D Bards want to be when they grow up.

Dion
2019-05-14, 02:09 PM

Grey Wolf

Technically, all we know is that all of Durkon’s cousin’s brother in law’s nieces were dating Thad.

It makes sense. Thad’s a pretty cool guy. My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Thad at 31 Flavors last night.

Vulsutyr
2019-05-14, 02:31 PM
In the panel when the new guy lands, the bottom of his armor flexs up. I don’t remember that from anyone else, and the armor looks like how full plate is drawn. Does that mean it is an exotic material or just black leather?

NerdyKris
2019-05-14, 02:37 PM
Those are faulds. They are made to go up and down so they don't restrict your leg movement.

Personification
2019-05-14, 02:40 PM
Too many people do not realize that Middle Earth is a Low-Fantasy setting (or at least a low-magic one). At least in the Third Age. Hùrin is about on par with D&D Fighters and Felagund is what D&D Bards want to be when they grow up.

Plus, both lore-wise and ability-wise, Gandalf is really closer to a flightless Deva (at least in 5e).

KorvinStarmast
2019-05-14, 03:01 PM
Plus, both lore-wise and ability-wise, Gandalf is really closer to a flightless Deva (at least in 5e). 11th or 12th level lore bard. :smallcool:

MartianInvader
2019-05-14, 03:04 PM
Or, for all we know, "interested only in half-outsiders that speak blue-on-blue".

Grey Wolf
In that case, we could assume Thad is also a half-outsider that speaks in blue-on-blue.

Fyraltari
2019-05-14, 03:08 PM

Grey Wolf

Err no. One niece being interested only in half-outsiders that speak blue-on-blue, does not preclude another niece also being interested in half-outsiders that speak blue-on-blue.

Though I suppose that it is possible that all the nieces except one have expressed a strong dislike of half-outsiders that speak blue-on-blue.

Clistenes
2019-05-14, 03:14 PM

It took two advanced Balrogs (one of which was the King of Balrogs) to defeat and capture Hùrin...

Finrod went toe to toe against Sauron, and he would have won the contest were not for the curse of Mandos...

Fyraltari
2019-05-14, 03:17 PM
It took two advanced Balrogs (one of which was the King of Balrogs) to defeat and capture Hùrin...
No it didn't. Hùrin never fought a Balrog, he was overrun by Orcs and Trolls and only fell when the weight of the cut hands of his foes that were still grasping him became too heavy.

Finrod went toe to toe against Sauron, and he would have won the contest were not for the curse of Mandos...
Source on the Doom of the North having anything to do with it? It's about infighting and paranoia, not magic failing them.

hobit
2019-05-14, 03:48 PM
I'm going to go with what someone said above. He's a champion.

It won't let me post the link but forums/showthread.php?172910-Articles-Previously-Appearing-on-GiantITP-com&p=9623431#post9623431 on this website.

Pampukin
2019-05-14, 04:00 PM

Grey Wolf

Must be hard to get tinder matchups.

Ironsmith
2019-05-14, 05:49 PM

I've noticed that, too, particularly when talking with my friends and family. I take Chronicles of Narnia or Stardust as better examples of a High-Fantasy setting; in both, while fantastic elements are present, it's considerably rarer in LotR, and much more explicit in the latter two: Narnia has fantasy creatures of every stripe, "[X] is under an enchantment" is a frequent plot point, and most characters react to "magic happened" with a shrug (unless they're new around these parts); Stardust has a freaking magic market, implied not to be the only one, witches and wizards are commonplace enough that no fewer than four cross into the main plot, and of course there's the sky pirates who harvest and sell lightning bolts.

Anyway, pointing this out usually leads to a fun little debate across the kitchen table.

woweedd
2019-05-14, 06:12 PM
The whole point of Middle-Earth is that it's a high fantasy, views from the perspective of a low fantasy people. Hobbits are about as low-fantasy as it gets, but Elves are quite a bit higher. It's a big fantasy world, viewed mainly from the perspective of the smallest and most seemingly-insignificant creatures in it.

hroþila
2019-05-14, 07:21 PM
The whole point of Middle-Earth is that it's a high fantasy, views from the perspective of a low fantasy people. Hobbits are about as low-fantasy as it gets, but Elves are quite a bit higher. It's a big fantasy world, viewed mainly from the perspective of the smallest and most seemingly-insignificant creatures in it.
You mean the whole point of LOTR/Hobbit. It's quite different for Middle-earth as a whole, what with the hobbits being latecomers and barely featuring in the rest of the legendarium.

Shoelessgdowar
2019-05-14, 07:50 PM

I like that name... until further notice, I think Sir Cbilnf Butnotthad is a perfect fullname for this guy.

Peelee
2019-05-14, 07:58 PM
Anyway, pointing this out usually leads to a fun little debate across the kitchen table.

I imagine the debate is between people who want to watch Stardust and people who are wrong.

Ghosty
2019-05-14, 08:12 PM

Grey Wolf

Somebody like Nuclear Dan, from that Another Gaming Comic linked here in an earlier strip's discussion thread.

So far, this Outsider's only gone after the bad guys.

Anyway, I will laugh if we never see this Soulknife/whatever he is again.

TBone
2019-05-14, 09:34 PM
Anyone watch the fate anime? Arthur had excalibur shrouded in mist so she couldn't be identified as easily. Could his weapon simply be enchanted in some way? I'm getting a heavy paladin vibe from him. The speach bubble to me indicated extreme good. Like the holy word spell. It could also be a side effect of his helmet. Glowing eyes, awesome voice.

blunk
2019-05-14, 11:07 PM
I'm really looking forward to ol' Poochie here going back to his home planet.

Devonix
2019-05-14, 11:32 PM
Geez guys he's an unimportant side character with a cool design. Not the some new hero come to upstage our main characters.