PDA

View Full Version : The Glory that Was Greece -Ancient World 3.5 (IC)

Pages : [1] 2

wilphe
2020-10-14, 02:39 PM
Late Spring 404 bc.

City of Argos

30 years of war are over and the flowering of spring may mean more than just a revival from winter but also a more general recovery.

Argos itself has been little touched by the war; mostly remaining neutral but on a couple occasions fighting Sparta and coming off worst. The inhabitants are going about their business and pay you little mind - apart from a few giving any obvious Spartans hostile glares if they think you aren't looking.

Argos has a very famous temple to Hera; whose annual High Priestess is considered to name the year

Argos and Sparta have fought any battles over the years - you are surprised Sparta has never forced Argos to join the Peloponnesian League

Apparently you can go see what is left of great Agamemnon's Mycenae around here

Sparta keeps Argos around as training ground for her young men and as an inferior but not impotent potential enemy to keep the rest of the Peloponnese in line

wilphe
2020-10-14, 02:53 PM
Alkimos Vasilis and Kleandridas have arranged to meet at the house of Arisitichus the Proxenos* of Sparta at Argos.

Mihail Aegea and Peridokles are all coincidentally headed to the Temple of Hera for their own reasons

"I got a hunch/guidance"; "there's a scholar there I want to talk to" or whatever else you like

Ambassadors exist of course but they are not permanently resident abroad. They travel on specific missions.

Instead a local citizen of the city looks after the interests of and advocates for their foreign patron and will accommodate their ambassadors if they send any.

The modern equivalent would be an honorary consul.

Visitors from their patron city in good standing can ask them for assistance and hospitality but shouldn't stay with them for more than a night or two

Esprit15
2020-10-14, 05:11 PM
Aegea spends much of the morning chatting up merchants who seem bound for Sparta. She offers her services as a translator with the elves, and guarantor of safe passage within their territory. ”Otherwise, who knows what would happen? Seen many a wagon just lying decrepit on the side of the road in my travels, the whole thing pocked with arrows. And then you have to deal with an angry Spartan demanding his shipment of wheat that he paid for, and it all becomes such a hassle. I don’t even charge that much!”

wilphe
2020-10-15, 04:27 AM
Aegea gets no takers; but not any hostility either

If its an obol or two you be hustling for I'm sure the fishmongers'll club together to have you chill the catch.

Spot Check please...

Saintheart
2020-10-15, 08:21 AM
Alkimos stretched his arms again, pacing to the far end of the portico outside Arisitichus's house. His left shoulder gave off the crackle he'd come to expect from a lifetime of hauling his cheese-platter of a shield on that arm.

Where exactly are those two? he thought. A good hour he'd been here sunning himself at the Proxenos's doorstep, waiting on Vasilis and Kleandridas. That damned elf can take all the time he wants. I was a beardless boy the day they cloaked me in scarlet and he looked no different to how he does now. But there was no doubting the wood elf's skill; not many men could shift effortlessly from phalanx fighting in the Spartan line to dancing around the edges of a battle, hitting and running. And that boy Vasilis might be younger than both of us, but he should know better to keep time for appointments!

DrK
2020-10-15, 08:47 AM
https://w7.pngwing.com/pngs/595/174/png-transparent-spartan-total-warrior-rome-total-war-classical-athens-spartan-army-spartan-warrior-war-greece-total-war-rome-ii-thumbnail.png
Kleandridas (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2294956)

The elf stalked through the streets, red cloak flapping in the breeze, spear slanted against his shoulder and the massive round shield casually slung on his back. His nose wrinkled slightly at the smells, always, human towns smelled so pungent, and this one worse than back in his home of Sparta. With fluid grace he weaved between the Argosians on the streets until he saw the House of Arisitichus.

Approaching cautiously, he paused, a think smile on his face as he removed the tall plumed helm and nodded a greeting to Alkimos resting in shade. "Well Met brave Alkimos. How fare you this day. Is the Proxenos within?" He rubs a hand against his sweat streaked forehead, "A warm day. I hope there are refreshments within. It was a long road."

Saintheart
2020-10-15, 11:04 AM
"It must've been a long road indeed given the hour of our agreed meeting was, in fact, an hour ago," said Alkimos with a grin. "Argos air must make Arges* sleep sounder. Or did you manage to find an elven lass last night to spar with, and was the battle a taxing one? But to answer your question, I've not gone in to see if the Proxenos is there yet. I had thought to wait for you and Vasilis. Did you see him?"

*Arges is the Greek word for Cyclops. Kleandridas only has one eye. Cyclops or Arges is Alkimos's nickname for Kleandridas, and Alkimos is trying to make a pun, and perhaps miserably failing. :smallsmile:

wilphe
2020-10-15, 01:30 PM
Aegea notices that a pair of Human guards whose shields bear the running wolf of Argos have appeared and are taking a keen but distant interest in her. They aren't approaching but neither are they trying to hide themselves and their interest in her.

samduke
2020-10-15, 01:57 PM
Vasilis

walking out of the house and down towards where Alkimos & Kleandridas are waiting. Well good day to you both are we missing anyone still?

Aracor
2020-10-15, 03:01 PM
Mihail, most often standing head and shoulders taller than most around him, walks slowly and steadily toward his destination. For all his size, he doesn't try to push his way through people, though many naturally open a path. Perhaps at the temple of Hera, he will find out why he is here.

He is well armed, and appears to carry enough equipment and kit to outfit an entire squad, though his weapons are large enough that most would have difficulty wielding them.

As he walks, he is happy to introduce himself to the companions he has found going to the same destination. His voice is deep, sounding like the rumbling of rocks in a canyon grinding together.

I am Mihail; recently a soldier fighting on the side of Athens. I am glad to see people here are mostly untouched by the war. I hope that Greece can make a recovery before its enemies decide that infighting shows vulnerability.

DrK
2020-10-15, 04:04 PM
https://w7.pngwing.com/pngs/595/174/png-transparent-spartan-total-warrior-rome-total-war-classical-athens-spartan-army-spartan-warrior-war-greece-total-war-rome-ii-thumbnail.png

The one-eye elf smirks slightly at the poor joke from Alkimos. "Dust and sand, dust and sand nothing more" He pauses, "I am Spartan now, my own kind are mere Listis in the forests. Seeking to trouble those who are better." He looks like is about to say more when Vasillis slowly approaches.

Nodding to the third red cloaked spartan he approaches the entrance way, seeking a servant, when he finds one he nods his head, his one eye staring menacingly. "Go and find your Master. He has visitors."

Esprit15
2020-10-15, 06:39 PM
Aegea gives a glance their way, making brief but very intentional eye contact, before turning her attention back to merchants... Ooh, or not. The goliath seemed more interesting the the woman than the stingy merchants. Keeping the guards in the corner of her gaze, the woman jogs after the Goliath... Athenian?

”Don’t plan on it, big guy,” the half dragon says with a bit of a laugh. “Give it a few years, the cities will be at each other’s throats again.”

Togo
2020-10-15, 07:49 PM
Peridokles peered out from under his soft broad-brimmed hat, concerned at the sudden lack of sunshine. But no, it wasn't a sudden cloud or a passing eagle that cast a shadow over him, but two travelers. On one side a woman a good half foot taller than he, and impressively muscled, with a cascade of chestnut hair.

An elf? he thought. Aren't they supposed to be short? And with fewer horns? She was describing the dangers of travelling without her services, which rather reminded him of the story he'd heard in Sicily, of the man who was so worried about running into wolves that he acquired a pet lion.

On the other side loomed an even larger figure, with dappled skin the manner of the highland barbarians, but carrying a perfectly civilised panoply of breastplate, helm, sword and shield.

Stepping between them, as he had, was rather like suddenly entering a gorge.

Somewhat belatedly, he realised he'd been asked a question.

I'm Peridokles. Lately of Corinth. I was in one of the recent wars - maybe even in the same army? But I doubt we knew the same people. I was a clerk, looking after supplies. I'm afraid I'm not much of a warrior. I trade in perfumes.

He craned his neck up at each of his mountainous flankers, trying to gauge their possible worth as customers.

As for the rest. He waved his bundle of hazel wands for emphasis. Argos and the League fight a lot, but it never seems to come to a conclusion. One day Argos will be asked to join the League, and then they'll move on to some other burning political issue. In the meantime, life goes on.

Aracor
2020-10-15, 08:44 PM
Well met, Peridokles. As you know, an army runs on its stomach. We who fought on the front lines understand that better than most. So allow me to express my gratitude at your assistance.

As for planning on it? No. But one can hope. I must admit, I've never seen a woman with wings before. May I know your name?

Presuming that she offers her name to him... He speaks quietly, so that his voice won't carry. It sounds like the rumbling of a huge beehive.

Are the elves here so savage that protection is needed against them, or are you just trying to earn some coin for little work?

Esprit15
2020-10-15, 09:17 PM
"Aegea of Taygetus. Sellsword," she says, offering her hand. Both men can see that her hands end in some rather wicked looking claws, though the gesture seems friendly enough. She seems to move right past the topic of her wings though. "Oh, most of us are friendly enough. But humans get nervous around fae, and if that prejudice can be used to pocket some extra gold from our gracious neighbors, I don't see a reason to turn down the chance. Their fears are assuaged, my pocket is filled, and everyone parts happier for the experience." Her demeanor seems to shift suddenly. "And sometimes humans do something that draws our wrath, and my services do become necessary."

Aracor
2020-10-15, 09:40 PM
Fair enough, and well met.
Mihail will take the offered hand and clasp it. His eyebrows raise when he realizes that she's strong enough that he doesn't need to be gentle.

Toliudar
2020-10-16, 12:38 AM
Philistion of Locri

Outside of the Temple of Hera, another elf is settled on the steps, displaying the sign of a healer.

A lanky and smooth-faced youth smiles at the crowd. He makes eye contact with another young man and nods. When the young man sits and shows a large rash on his leg, the elf nods, pulls out an small green twig and a yellow flower, dropped them into a small mortar and crushes them together. There is a quiet banter between the two, and then the elf carefully applies the crushed plants to the young man's leg, following up quickly with a strip of cloth.

There is a quiet exchange of coins, and the young man levers back to his feet, completing his climb up to the entrance to the temple.

wilphe
2020-10-18, 09:34 AM
Alkimos, Vasilis and Kleandridas:

Kleandridas runs into a female human who bears some traces of elven ancestry in the courtyard with the dress and apparent bearing of a slave.

"O..of course my lord. Th..the Master is conducting some business in the agora but he should return soon. Please come in and await his return. W..would you like some refreshment?"

She appears quite scared and is failing to not show it

She isn't scared but is pretending to be - possibly because having gruff Spartan strangers show up is quite a common thing here but she has learned that they get really upset if you don't act like you are visibly afraid of them.

The courtyard of his house is shaded with a large tree you don't quite recognize in the center and the usual altar and a few seats.

The slave woman takes one of the fruit and returns a few minutes later with some beakers of drink.

This would be a place where the lady and daughters of the house would spin or sew and the like but there is no sign of any such activity or presence

At that moment a vigorous looking man in his early 50s, accompanied by a large halforc carrying several bundles of provisions enters the courtyard.

Hah! Visitors! Welcome to the House of Arisitichus strangers. I hope Breetha is looking after you

wilphe
2020-10-18, 10:13 AM
Aegea, Mihail, Philistion, Peridokles

You draw a certain degree of attention on your way through the crowds or at least Mihail does and to a lesser extent Aegea too. This is mostly glances and people getting out of your way - though Aegea notices the two guards watching her seem to have disappeared.

The Temple itself is well kept, but nowhere near as magnificent as the Sanctuary 10 miles out of town is reputed to be. However that's an all day trip and for day to day worship this is more convenient. Inside there are only a few people:

A young girl of apparent high status attended by two slaves making an offering of a cake at the altar.

An older unaccompanied woman quietly praying at one of the statues

A young woman in a yellow headscarf sitting by the entrance observing those who go in and out - she is accompanied by a young boy who upon seeing you enter she nods at sending him running past you out into the street

Saintheart
2020-10-18, 10:53 AM
Alkimos frowned, turning to Kleandridas and Vasilis as the slave departed to fetch refreshments and left them alone for a moment. "Is Arisitichus known to have a cruel slavemaster? That woman seemed to be afraid of something, or my eyes deceive me."

DrK
2020-10-18, 12:48 PM

The elf nods curtly to the slave, eye narrowing at the hint of 'weak' blood in the slave. "Refreshments. Yes, the road was long and dusty." Focused on looking around the courtyard he doesn't really see her fear, so accustomed to people being intimidated by a trio of Spartans.

He nods to Alkimos, "We are a formidable site. Mayhap she has not seen real men such as us in this city of artists and mewling cowards."

At the entrance of the master he offers a tilt of the head to show respect, "Greetings fair Arisitichus. We are come from Sparta on swift feet blessed by Hermes."

Togo
2020-10-18, 07:51 PM
Peridokles mumbles something appreciative of the giant's thanks, but he's noticing that the pair are drawing rather more notoriety that he's comfortable with. He gives a careful step back, rather than forwards, and falls behind as the two seem to start talking to each other.

Literally beneath notice, eh Peri?

He watches them for a moment as they continue, wondering if they will notice his absence when they next glance down. Probably. And while it was impossible not to see some promise of romance in the two of them meeting, he suspected they might not be similar at all. Height alone was no foundation on which to build understanding, or else Peridokles should be a wiser man.

And married. He wondered briefly if any of the woman he had courted had dismissed him as too tall. Would height alone grant a tendency to think about things from a certain angle. Asthetics, at least, depended at least partially on a point of view, could a literally higher viewpoint change one's appreciation of architecture, of statuary, ideals of taste?

He trailed a few paces behind the other two, not so much lost in thought as vacationing within it.

What of statues distorted so as to appear normal when viewed from below? Could that be an example of distorting perspective in order to makes things appear as they really are. If one forced through the change of geometry to that altered perspective, forced-changed the proportions of the world so as to create the distortion of perceptual space, then could...

No! Bad Peri! No biscuit! He smiled to himself ruefully. Bad habits of thought do not a coin purse fill. Time enough for that... later.

He advances past the other two, and bows from the waist once in sight, an Egyptian habit.

Fascinating to meet you both. I will be setting up shop, but please do not let my activity drive you away. You may even find some of my wares of interest?

Unlikely, he thought, but it was always hard to tell. And they both had money, which was usually the hardest requirement to fulfill.

He gives the healer a companionable nod, and sets up opposite her, on the other side of the entrance to the temple. A quick and practiced swish sees his clean rich red cloth in place, stretched over the dusty stones of the low temple wall. He sets out his box, with it's enticing vials of bronze and glass, the carved lids and stoppers issuing exotic hints as to what lay within. With a business-like motion he anoints one end of a hazel wand with smoked glass bottle, and then flicks the end through air, leaving a trail of scent of cinnamon and bitter orange, that hangs in the still morning air.

Aracor
2020-10-18, 08:38 PM
Mihail will position himself at the entrance, and look down at the young woman with the yellow headscarf. He'll smile kindly, and ask

Have I attracted your attention in some way, young lady? I couldn't help but notice your little errand boy running off as soon as you saw me.

As he doesn't yet know why he has come here, he tries to pay attention to anything that may be out of place. And for a final bonus, this will also put him in a commanding position to see both inside the temple and around for else who may be paying attention to him.

Toliudar
2020-10-18, 10:46 PM
Philistion nods back to Peridokles, and watches with open interest as he sets up. Phil leans in, inhaling deeply, and his brow furrows.

"Fascinating! Ah..."

She licks her lips, trying to gauge the best way to approach the conversation.

"I've seen cinnamon used in infusions to excite the yellow bile. And, of course, orange to stir the phlegm. But I'm not familiar with any treatments that combine the two. Is the intent of your combination, ah, recreational?"

Togo
2020-10-19, 06:07 AM
Peridokles tips back his hat.

Recreational? Oh, the perfume. I'm afraid so. I.. have studied Alcmaion's humours of course, although only second hand, in Alexandria. But I've yet to see an effective treatment that could simply be waved around a place to heal the sick. No this substance is just for joy.

Although one has to wonder, of course, whether the two are connected? Could joy make one well, as well as feel well? Surely one can be driven ill with pain, so why not well with happiness? Or are we mistaking the symptom for the disease, and thus the alleviation with the cure? And yet joy is more, far more, than the mere absence of pain, as demonstrated by those Persian practices of deriving one from the other...

He coughs

Just as pain and pleasure are separate, so too do sickness or wellness have their differences? Yes, clearly the latter two are separate, as one can heal from an infusion of well being in a distinct fashion from strengthening the body. So, then, posit four types of substances, materia, side by side in two classes, the pleasure and pain, and the wellness and sickness. But do the first two supervene upon the last two? As someone is driven sick with pain, could they be driven well with joy? It makes sense, if not perhaps the most efficient method, but then that implies one could literally bottle...

He stops, looking up as if surprised to find Philistion still there.

Ah, I have a tendency to ramble. Forgive me? I fear I am but a competent bone-setter, and little more. I confess I found the high ritual of the more complicated practices a little intimidating. Wash the patient. Wash the practioner. Wash anyone who stands too close to either. Boil the instruments, silver of course, to call down the serenity of the moon, and wrap them in linen itself boiled. Ensure a favourable celestial alignment. As if, in order to treat the living, one must first ensure the ritual itself is dead. Then again, considering who I was taught by...

He shakes his head, and makes an effort to smile. A dazzling effort, but practiced, compared to his previous expression of naive wonder.

I am Peridokles. A perfumer by trade, but I dabble in matters philosophical. Healing and the like. He hesitates. I actually brought my kit along, if you're interested. Maybe you'd care to venture an opinion on what might be missing?

remetagross
2020-10-19, 07:26 AM
https://sites.google.com/site/hoplitenreenactment/_/rsrc/1359811134049/2-ausruestung/hypaspisoi/Hoplit%20Makedonen%20_274349006021568_471751731_n. jpg?height=400&width=230
Agoros slowly makes his way to the temple of Hera. The sun is shining hard, and the soldier is glad his helmet is shielding his face. His gaze cannot help but settle on two hulking figures that seem to move towards the temple too, before him.
Glad I didn't have to fight against them during the war.

At the temple's foot, he finds two people actively discussing about the properties of perfumes and such products. One of them seems to be a healer of some sort. Agoros waits for a lull in their exchange before apostrophing the healer.

Good day to you sir. Can you do anything for a suntroke? I got one while walking under this sun all the way up to here".

Toliudar
2020-10-19, 02:38 PM
As Peridokles starts to speak, Philistion leans into the conversation so hard that the faint whiff of garlic from the elf's breath is detectible. As is the young healer's excitement.

"Master Peridokles, it is a great pleasure to meet you, and to speak with you on such matters. I myself have been studying the healing technques. I would absolutely concur that the careful washing of both practiitioner and subject reduces the spontaneous generation of maggots and other creations of the air immensely, especially when dealing with an open wound of any sort. Silver, I have not experimented with, and it may take some time before my practise is able to afford such finery, but it's certainly something I will look into when empty time and a full purse coincide, as it were.

"As to the completeness of your kit, I have to admit that my own supplies are somewhat depleted. I would be delighted to compare notes another time.

"It is doubly amazing that you speak of the often unexplored, or at least under-appreciated, interplay between the inner and outer state of mankind. Your delicate perfumes, for instance. While they may lack for true medicinal value, they may send a subject's recollections back to a time of health and happiness. Conversely, they may inspire - as to the in-drawing of breath, yes? - inspire a recipient to think of pleasurable and serene moments in their future. In both cases, the body's energies are aligned with healing, ease and pleasure, and the natural regulation of the humours is much more likely to occur. Alcmaeon, although rigorous in his documentation of the body, remained silent on the anatomy of mind, and we are the poorer for it."

The young healer covers their face with embarrassment.

"I apologize. I have for some time longed to have a serious conversation on this topic, but most of my colleagues are focused on cutting, cutting, cutting. Not that the judicious use of bleeding and the setting of bones are not noble medical pursuits. But i can't help but feeling that we have more to discover. Yes?"

Togo
2020-10-24, 06:47 AM
Peridokles hesitates, as if reluctant to talk. But equally can't help himself.

The inner and the outer state, certainly, certainly. But are they separate? Different? If they are then this poses a dilemma, for are we aware solely of the outer state by any means other than our impressions of the inner? When I see the glint of gold upon Hera's statue there, high on the facade, are my eyes directly touching it's aspect? I see it is shiny, and gold-coloured, and on high. Are these outer impressions, facets of the real world, or are they inner impressions of what I can see in the outer world? If they are outer impressions, then how can my vision be fooled, by perceptions blunted? The outer world is the outer world, surely? This would be possible only if aspects of perception were a substance inherent to the object, like text being clear and metal being bright and polished. And yet this inherent perception of the object must be malleable, or else two men would never see two different things in the same object. All things would be equally bright, or dull, or red, or beauteous or just or fair, no matter who perceived it. It would make a court of law a boring place indeed, as all would see all events as the same, give them the same weighting.

He gives the hazel wand another flick, adding more tangy scent to the air.

And yet if it is malleable, as surely it must be for each to get a different perception from the other, should we not change objects merely by perceiving them? A mystery changes it's characters once it is well know, a secret told to many many becomes less intriguing, and one hardly need recite the terrible swelling of the head and self-grandeur that awaits those who are seen by all to be beautiful. It fits, perhaps, and yet there are curious implications, are there not? Surely one set out to change what one sees by deliberately distorting one's viewpoint. A jar known to be made by a master potter is suddenly a fine jar indeed, is it not? A daughter by a rich man is suddenly a fine prospect, no matter how she have seemed before her family was known. Vegetables hawked by a merchant may seem fine on the stall and yet smaller once they are ready for the pot. Is it because they are seen one way in the market and another on the chopping block before the fire? Heroes and Villains may suffer from similar shrinkage, as may the promises of a clan head or the principles of a city official. Deeds of war, by contrast, seem only to expand in size.

Alternatively, maybe our perceptions are in our heads, and do not partake of the objects we perceive. Why then, what do know of the outer world at all, except what our inner world says of it? To take the metaphor of the cave, we are but blind men seeing shadows on the wall, and only through reason can we escape the cage of our perceptions and the world as it really is. For instance, I may see Hera's staff as gold, and surely she deserves a staff tipped with gold, and yet reason tells me the statue must be bearing mere gilded bronze, or else some athletic youth would have shinned up there one night. So my reasons denies my eyes and I go with reason. And yet, can we really escape our own inner world entirely? And if we did, what terrors might we see? Can we be sure there is an outer world at all, and if so, if it is a singular outer world, or many, each subtly different from the others, shuffled like gaming tiles? And is our outer world shared by all, or only those close to us? Is Olympus a place, or an agreement, a new world world of shared impressions and harmonious agreement, with the titans of the old world locked away. And if so, are the Persians part of it, do they have their own?

He raises his eyebrows.

And is any of this worth considering when you have a customer waiting, who might potentially press a coin upon you for your trouble?

Peridokles is a philosopher employing a dialectic technique, based around questions. This can be helpful in reasoning through certain problems. Add +4 (untyped bonus) to any Int check or Int-based skill check when talking with Peridokles.

Despite his easy manner, you get the impression that Peridokles is troubled by some of these issues, and is perhaps avoiding certain topics

wilphe
2020-10-24, 07:44 AM
"Greetings fair Arisitichus. We are come from Sparta on swift feet blessed by Hermes."

"Welcome to Argos. You would be the valiant Kleandridas? And your friends are?"

Aristarchus turns to the halforc standing impassively with the shopping, "Glythax get this stuff to the kitchen and then make some rooms up for our guests."

He turns back

"If of course you are staying? I regret that since my beloved Calanthe passed away it has been quite empty here and I should be glad of the company. Cleon is in your homeland guesting in the agoge and my eldest Hector is in garrison on the frontier. Berenice I barely see since she spends so much time at the temple."

You may consider this 60% exposition and 40% over-sharing because he does indeed have no family around him.

He's also slightly disapproving of Berenice

"I regret I may have better food than your are used to; my last slave who could cook spartan broth passed a few winters ago and as I was not born on the Eurotas I can't stomach the stuff myself"

"In any case, what business brings to Argos and can I assist you in any way?"

wilphe
2020-10-24, 09:23 AM
Aegea, Agoros, Mihail, Philistion, Peridokles

Have I attracted your attention in some way, young lady? I couldn't help but notice your little errand boy running off as soon as you saw me.

"It would be foolish to deny it, but in truth I am as interested in your companions as much as you specifically."

She follows the conversation between Philistion and Peridokles and smiles

"And I listen as much as I watch"

+++++++++++

The boy she sent running off returns, behind him walks a woman of early middle age and noble bearing wrapped in a peacock green cloak accompanied by a dwarf shielding her with a long handled parasol. Those on the street give her space and get out of the way

The peacock is a bird associated with Hera

The young lady stands as the older one approaches but stays in the shade

These visitors meet the description you gave me milady. Are they the ones?

Thank you Berenice

The older lady stares at each of you intensely in turn for perhaps half a minute each, then nods silently and slowly for perhaps a minute more

Esprit15
2020-10-24, 10:58 AM
Aegea steps inside the temple Past the merchant, looking around and soaking in the scene. It was not to her patron, but the Goat Eater was always a god to keep on the good side of. The woman wrinkles her nose at the slave holding woman making an offering, but again, not a fight to have in the temple of the city’s patron, especially as an outsider.

As she kneels down near the silently praying woman, her mind wanders back to the guards that were following her earlier. Were they following her because of what she was saying? Because of who she was? Or what she was? She tried to calm the thoughts swirling in her mind, and thinks back to home. Hunting. Wandering. Telling stories. Singing. Living life as it should be lived. None of these strata, of these people running back and forth so busy, trying to gain more land, more gold, more power. She chuckles to herself. It does have its perks, though...

She thanks the goddess for safe passage to her city, and asks for safety throughout her stay as well. She gives 5 gold coins as and offering, and walks back to the entrance.

Aracor
2020-10-24, 02:45 PM
I must admit it seems somewhat...generous? to refer to these as my companions, given that I have exchanged a few words with two of them, and have no knowledge of the rest at all.

He falls silent as the conversation goes on around him, and listens with curiosity until the newcomer arrives. He'll meet the gaze of the older woman who is presumably a servant of Hera, not disrespectfully, but not intimidated by her gaze and attention, either. He'll continue to stand, patient as a stone. Someone will find the silence awkward and speak to fill it. He'll hope to glean more information before he decides what to do.

remetagross
2020-10-24, 05:20 PM
Agoros is quite surprised to see how the events unfold. First, he gets completely ignored by the healer, who seems to be involved in a fascinating conversation of philosophy with the perfumer. When he hears the Titans being mentioned, he pays more attention...until he understand they were only involved as a passing example.

Right when he is about to interrupt to ask again about his sunstroke, the wizened priestess peacock-dressed priestess arrives. The mountain of a woman pays no heed and enters the temple, while the mountain of a man stops and starts engaging her. At some point, Agoros feels obliged to intervene. He removes his helmet as a sign of deference, swipes the sweat off his brow.

"Greetings, my lady. I must add that I concur with this noble man here," indicating Mihail near him. "I am in no way his companion - and why, exactly, would you be interested in my humble person?"

Togo
2020-10-24, 06:27 PM
How fascinating. says Peridokles, one leg bent, his foot resting on the wall behind him. And thus we becomes chorus to the stage of great events, breathless witness to a meeting pre-ordained. But by what agency? Was it their reputations that have led this fine and beautiful lady to meet our heroes? Or is artifice and cunning that has brought these fine travelers to meet, as if by chance, at the just the point where the master planner can find them?

As he talks, he dips into the case of perfumes next to him, and pulls forth a slender bronze vial. A pattern of clasped hands, running around the stopper, gleams in the sunshine.

Or since we crouch at the feet of this most magnificent of temples, dedicated to the great Queen of the Gods herself, maybe we are in the realm of prophecy. Such an important meeting deserves the proper... atmosphere!

With practiced care he dips the other end of his hazel wand into just the top of the vial, and then flicks it up, sending the heady scent of cedar and fresh laural through the air.

As Aegea comes back down the path towards them, he nods in her direction.

And thus the three companions meet. Are these three warriors, in full panoply, the 'companions' you were expecting?

wilphe
2020-10-26, 01:28 PM
Aegea

As you leave your coins and get up to return to the entrance you feel a slight warmth on your chest, and looking down, you now have a broach of some light metal you don't recognise in the shape of a peacock

Agoros, Mihail, Philistion, Peridokles

Aegea didn't have that broach on when she came in

Aegea, Agoros, Mihail, Philistion, Peridokles

The priestess draws deeply from the air Peridokles has perfumed

And thus we becomes chorus to the stage of great events, breathless witness to a meeting pre-ordained. But by what agency? Was it their reputations that have led this fine and beautiful lady to meet our heroes? Or is artifice and cunning that has brought these fine travelers to meet, as if by chance, at the just the point where the master planner can find them?

"I am in no way his companion - and why, exactly, would you be interested in my humble person?"

You are not the chorus but a principal player I think. And if you are not companions you may yet be. I don't think it is chance nor reputation that has led you here today; though not artifice nor cunning neither. Please be seated if you are not already and I shall tell you.

She gently sits on the steps, Berenice staying off to the side

For the last month or so I have been troubled she pauses and corrects herself gifted with the most vivid dreams. What I have seen is disturbing, cities in flames, piles of dead warriors, beasts and monsters that have not troubled Greece in generations, innocents enslaved.

Her gaze has fixed upon a point on the ground, but then flicks up to look at you all directly.

But I have also seen you

She is apparently sincere, but also giving off an energy that I could best describe as "I am only a 2nd level aristocrat I should not be having to deal with this".
She is really uncomfortable

Berenice is clearly watching you to see how you take this...

Aracor
2020-10-26, 03:17 PM
Mihail is smirking at Peridokles's attempt to continually separate himself while simultaneously drawing attention to himself with his tongue that seems incapable of being still. He wonders when the man will notice that he's receiving just as much attention as the warriors he's trying to bring to the forefront in spite of he himself being unlikely to draw such attention based on his appearance alone. Mihail himself is used to being stared at, so it bothers him very little to be the center of attention.

When the priestess continues to speak, he'll frown thoughtfully and sit down on the steps. He'll try to divide his attention between the priestess herself, Berenice, and the others that seem to have attracted attention. It's clear that this priestess will have more to say, and is ending on such a note for dramatic effect. Such is the way of those who follow the gods closely.

He trusts that the talkative perfumer will ask questions if necessary, and Mihail himself continue to observe and process. He isn't slow by any means, but he likes to think things through when he has the time. In battle, that is rarely a luxury that can be afforded. He has buried too many who didn't learn that lesson when it was important.

Esprit15
2020-10-26, 04:50 PM
Aegea listens with skepticism to the woman. Though she wanted to react to the broach, now did not seem like the time. ”I’m sorry, were you including me in that? Because seeing me in a vision like that is impossible. Many of the cities don’t even consider us ‘Greek’ at all.” If it weren’t for the monsters, she would almost welcome the destructive force that the woman foretold. But... maybe it was something worth listening to with politeness, at least for now.

“When you see us in this vision, what sort of role are we playing?”

DrK
2020-10-26, 05:03 PM

Kleandridas accepts the additional food and drink politely. "My thanks. Persophone's finest would not have tasted as well. It has been many days since I have had aught that was not twice backed bread or salted goat." He enjoys the food for a few moments before replying to Arisitichus. "My fellow brothers are warriors mighty and true, heroes of the war for whom the bards tales resound in Sparta. However.... all good things come to an end. The war is at a peace, but we hear rumours of the threat rising in the East, the Persian poison spreads."

He looks at the others, his lone eye glinting slightly, "Tell us what you know of anything in the area that would have you doubt their loyalty or anything that would threaten the tranquility of these hapless fools.."

Toliudar
2020-10-27, 01:37 AM
Philistion is visibly uncomfortable under the woman's probing gaze, but perseveres. When Aegea challenges her visions, Phil's eyes flick up to the evident anger behind the words, but stray also to the peacock brooch.

Ultimately, Philistion leans forward.

"Madam, to the best of my knowledge, we have not met before. To find one stranger's face imprinted onto your dream is unusual. Several would be, well, extraordinary. May I ask what you are doing, in these terrible dreams? Our perceived relationship to you may be very important."

remetagross
2020-10-27, 07:04 AM
Having had firsthand experience with divine intervention, Agoros takes Berenice's discourse very seriously. He tries to focus his perception on her body language to better understand what she is trying to do here, but he is distracted by brief memories of a thunderous voice in his head. As instructed, he sits.

"And...I am seconding the question of...what is your name, sir?" asks Agoros to the healer that has just spoken up.

Could she be a servant of the Old One?

Toliudar
2020-10-27, 09:30 AM
Philistion seems surprised by Agoros' question, but recovers.

"Oh! We're doing names? We're doing names. Of course. My name is Philistion. At the academy I was Philistion of Locri, because Philistion of Macedon had already been there for a year. Sorry, and your name, sir?"

Seeing the man's distraction, Philistion rises, offering to examine him with a gesture.

"Please, I am a student of medicine. Are you in pain, sir?"

remetagross
2020-10-27, 10:22 AM
"Ah, well, my name is Agoros of Pella, Philistion of Locri.", replies the Macedonian. Mistaking the origin of the healer's offer for help, he rises too and indicates his bare head.
"I am afraid I may be suffering from a heat stroke, though I would gladly let your expertise tell me if that is so."

Toliudar
2020-10-27, 10:56 AM
Accepting the deflection while silently noting it as such, Philistion carefully rises to examine Agoros' head. Phil lays the back of a cool, slender hand on the side of the Macedonian's head.

"The blood has risen, and is racing, but there are many possible causes for these. In this new and fast-paced world we live in, it is hard to find serenity. Unless the pain in your head worsens or you begin to feel nausea, it may simply be undue excitement and an irritation of the skin."

Digging amongst the bags hanging from the doctor's belt, Phil's hand emerges with a finger-sized tube of waxed cloth, which is offered to Agoros.

"A simple emollient of olive oil and aloe. Apply to skin exposed to the sun."

Phil's hand flutters to his own cheek, a pale gray only tinged with tan.

"I, uh, use it myself, sometimes."

remetagross
2020-10-27, 03:14 PM
"This is most appreciated. How much will that be?" Agoros sighs with contentment as he applies the cloth to his forehead. With his other hand, he starts rummaging through his purse - and raises an eyebrow when the doctor seems oddly embarrassed to admit he uses this remedy himself.

"It must be effective, since your skin certainly does not seem to have been overly attacked by the Sun."

Toliudar
2020-10-28, 12:13 PM
Philistion ducks his head in appreciation.

"Er. Yes. That'll be two silver. And, well, I usually wear a hat."

Their transaction concluded, Phil smiles hesitantly at Agoros, and turns attention back to the woman and her visions of doom.

I'm not sure what currency we're using, or how to translate D&D economy to them. Please consider this a request for a small but non-trivial sum.

Togo
2020-10-29, 02:19 PM
Peridokles' smile is a little fixed. He's very very still, and listening very intently. It is at times like these, when dreams and visions are spoken of, that a wise man stays silent.

I always aim to appear in a lady's dreams, of course. He speaks in a soft voice, a little breathless with tension. But as Aegea of Taygetus said, can you tell us what we were doing in your dream?

wilphe
2020-11-01, 08:54 AM
”I’m sorry, were you including me in that? Because seeing me in a vision like that is impossible. Many of the cities don’t even consider us ‘Greek’ at all.”

Priestess:
I was indeed including you in that

“When you see us in this vision, what sort of role are we playing?”

Priestess:
I have not seen you doing much; you always appear at the end and I have never got a feeling you were hostile - quite the opposite

Berenice interjects:
If milday Xanthia thought your part in her visions negative I would be much more circumspect in watching for you and sighting you would have brought much more than one noblewoman and a slave.

Also we'd be having a probably much less polite conversation from opposite sides of a wall of spears

wilphe
2020-11-01, 09:27 AM
Back with the Spartans:

"Tell us what you know of anything in the area that would have you doubt their loyalty or anything that would threaten the tranquility of these hapless fools.."

Arisitichus smiles, Direct and to the point. Spoken like a true Spartan.

As you are no doubt aware Argos is no great friend of Sparta; but that does not mean anyone here is ready to challenge you - not directly anyway.

Neither are we great lovers of the Persians,we may not have fought them but we have never taken their money either. So no, the only medising influence in Argos is my citron tree there.

Locally we have some reports of travelers on the Corinth road through the Longopotamos pass disappearing, people are taking alternate routes and the military have been unable to find any traces.

Also the current priestess of Hera Xanthia has been behaving somewhat oddly recently - whatever it is it has taken the full attention of my daughter Berenice.

I was going to have this RPed a bit more, but in the interest of bringing the two groups together I shall presson

DrK
2020-11-01, 09:36 AM

Kleandridas listens and nods, glancing back at the other two spartans, "Well, a trouble priestess or missing travellers, possibly bandits to slay if Ares blesses us eh?" he barks to his friends. "To honour the gods we may speak with this priestess, a quiet time in Argos would benefit Sparta and if the effete Argosians lose their priestess they may get upset." With his lone eye scanning the area, he eats a few more choice morsels, before looking back to the Master of the House.

"Where is temple. I would rather see to the roads but we can see the priestess now. What is the nature of her oddity?"

wilphe
2020-11-01, 09:46 AM
"Madam, to the best of my knowledge, we have not met before. To find one stranger's face imprinted onto your dream is unusual. Several would be, well, extraordinary. May I ask what you are doing, in these terrible dreams? Our perceived relationship to you may be very important."

Xanthia nods

I do not appear; I only watch others. This is good, it means I am not a victim and I am certainly not a hero.

I am a mother of three sons and two daughters; I have this office for a year as it passes around the noble familes of Argos. I organise the festivals and the feasts and my dear husband pays for them; I arrange to wash and dress the statues. At the end of year I hand all this over to someone else.

The biggest conflict I expect to have to deal with is keeping the peacocks safe from the foxes.

I have never sought magic, visions nor power. I did not choose this. I was chosen.

wilphe
2020-11-01, 09:57 AM
I'm not sure what currency we're using, or how to translate D&D economy to them. Please consider this a request for a small but non-trivial sum.

Good question.

As money and trade aren't likely to be especially important except at certain points I have only been using greek currency terms as flavour and sticking for GP/SP/CP for mechancis

I post more on this in OOC thread

Saintheart
2020-11-01, 10:03 AM
Alkimos grins at Kleandridas. "I share your enthusiasm to stretch the legs a little, Cyclops. I believe I have had enough of this ... civilisation. And difficulties in a pass, you say? Well, as we know, marching up narrow passes with a minima of troops is a Spartan speciality, you might say. That said," - and here the bearded warrior turned to the Proxenos - "what coin is on offer from our ... noble hosts ... in Argos, in return for marching up some mountain range's dust-filled back passage and planting a few men?"

wilphe
2020-11-01, 01:34 PM
Alkimos Kleandridas

What is the nature of her oddity?

Plenty speculate but that is no more than agora gossip. I shall tell you what I know

Around three weeks ago Berenice had started getting worried about Xanthia not sleeping properly and looking upset. I generally do not gossip about other men's wives but she is a distant relative of ours and she and Berenice have been very close - especially since her mother died

About a fortnight ago Xanthia called a meeting - my daughter was at that meeting and has not been home since.

Berenice stays all day at the Temple here and when I have been to see her to ask her what she is doing she says she is watching and waiting. In the meantime Xanthia has been out to the main temple out of town a couple times but mostly stayed at home.

wilphe
2020-11-01, 01:40 PM
"what coin is on offer from our ... noble hosts ... in Argos, in return for marching up some mountain range's dust-filled back passage and planting a few men?"

If it was that easy it would already have been dealt with.

But I am sure my fellow citizens would not be ungrateful if you could resolve the matter.

He stands and stretches

Shall I take you to the Temple of Hera then?

remetagross
2020-11-02, 01:27 PM
Suddenly very interested by the exchange between the priestess and the perfumer, Agoros absentmindedly puts a handful of drachmes in Philistion's hand, and listens intently to the tale of visions and of being chosen. At the first opportunity, the mercenary pipes up:
"Pardon me, my lady, but who would have chosen you for such visions? And for which purpose? Since we are standing on the stairs of the temple of Hera, I would venture that would be the Queen of Mount Olympus?"

DrK
2020-11-02, 02:08 PM

Kleandridas looks to the others before nodding to the factor. "Aye, take us to the Temple of the Peacock. we shall speak with this lady and see if we can't put some sense into her." As they head out towards the Temple he glances at Alkimos with his good eye, spear twirling in the street slightly, "A walk and some exercise, a few heads mounted on the tip of the spear shall deter any bandits. I don't need coin for something I'll do for my own amusement." He grins at Alkimos, "Maybe we can take some of these Argosoian mice with us and show them how to stand like men."

wilphe
2020-11-02, 03:00 PM
At the first opportunity, the mercenary pipes up:
"Pardon me, my lady, but who would have chosen you for such visions? And for which purpose? Since we are standing on the stairs of the temple of Hera, I would venture that would be the Queen of Mount Olympus?"

Xanthia turns to Agoros
You speak correctly. I know this comes from Cronus' eldest daughter. Do not ask me how I know. I just do and with absolute certainty

She fixes Peridokles

Socrates claims the oracle at Delphi called him the wisest of all Greeks because he alone knew he knew nothing. Well whatever you call the opposite of that is what I have. If I know nothing else I know my visions come from Hera herself

She sighs

And I don't know why.

Honestly I just wanted to find you all as quickly as possible and tell you.

Then hopefully the visions will stop and I can rest; carry on with my life.

wilphe
2020-11-02, 03:13 PM
He grins at Alkimos, "Maybe we can take some of these Argosoian mice with us and show them how to stand like men."

Aristarchus bids you follow him and walks briskly through the streets; but clearly happy to expound on the sights and monuments of his city as he goes

There is the temple to Wolf Apollo; that mound contains the head of the Gorgon Medusa; over yonder the shrine of Aphrodite and that statue is of the poetess Telesilla who led the women of Argos to victory over your Spartan king Cleomenes

And there is the temple of Hera and I see my daughter and Xanthia - with some odd strangers I do not recognise

wilphe
2020-11-02, 03:24 PM
Honestly I just wanted to find you all as quickly as possible and tell you.

Berenice is at the side of the group looking down the street and sees the new arrivals first.

Your prayers have been answered milady.

Two spartans including the elf born - that completes your Seven

And my father

Xanthia shifts her attention and gives Alkimos the same 30 second stare she gave the others when she arrived; she notably does not pay the same attention to Kleandridas

Aracor
2020-11-02, 03:54 PM
Mihail grunts. When the new spartans arrive and Berenice calls her attention to them, he gestures broadly, inviting them to join the rest of the people around the priestess.

Shall we dispense with beating around the bush, then? If Berenice is to be believed, our group is complete as soon as these newcomers join us. Would it be better to retire somewhere private? Perhaps somewhere with shade will help Agoros's head, and a cool beverage would not go amiss if it is available. I would hear of these visions in as much detail as you can provide.

Then, I can decide what is to be done with them, at least from my own perspective. Greece and Democracy are already threatened, and by Athena, I will do what I can to aid her. Though the ways of the gods and goddesses are mysterious to mortals such as we, I for one accept that they often work through mortal agencies. Hopefully what they choose to reveal will be enough to help us.

Esprit15
2020-11-02, 11:41 PM
Aegea chuckles. ”Don’t speak too loudly on rule by the citizenry - the Spartans might hear you.” She stays fairly quiet through most of the discussion, feeling out her apparently future companions in how they talk to one another. Several proud Lacedaemonian soldiers, several unbound wanderers, and apparently a single Athenian. Eclectic. “Well, for the purposes of at least interest, I don’t see a reason to not see if our role in the future is as your vision foretells. If we have everyone needed here, then we should move forward.”

remetagross
2020-11-03, 07:03 AM
That is a lot of intel to process in a short amount of time. First the priestess of Hera pronouncing the name of the Old One. Was that by chance, or some sort of signal towards him? Agoros ascertains her body language, trying to understand what is happening here.

"Get a hunch of the situation" Sense Motive DC 20 check: [roll0]

Then, a Berenice person joins in, with a number of other warrios, and the two giants speak about moving on together...
I need help to know if I should go with it.Agoros swipes the sweat off his cooled brow with the back of his hand. This allows him to momentarily hide his face to the rest of the party. Retreating to the innermost part of his mind, the Macedonian decides to give in to the echoing voices in his head, allowing them to grow stringer and more audible.
"O Kronos, thou that once ruled Olympus, will joining this group serve thy will?"

Grunting, Agoros sits again.
"Your medicine is good, but I would appreciate a little more of it", he says to Philistion before any question is raised.

Using the 1/week Omniscient Whispers feat: Agoros ask one yes/no question to a higher power. As a consequence, he is now exhausted. Bluff check to pass the exhaustion for a consequence of the sun stroke: [roll1]

Let's say I've given 100gp to Philistion.

Toliudar
2020-11-03, 02:03 PM
Philistion has been confused into silence by the noblewoman and her visions. How a humble doctor could stop some apocalypse was utterly beyond him.

"Well, then...thank you?"

When a cascade of Agoros' coin lands almost literally in his lap, Phil scoops it together and slips the coins into his belt.

"Of course, sir! I'm happy to, happy to!
I don't usually carry those kind of quantities here with me, but I maintain a small shop just four streets down, two blocks over.
The sign of three leaves. Take these for now, and I'll happily make up the balance later today, if you wish."

Phil fishes in his belt and comes up with four more of the cloth tubes, which he turns over to Agoros.

DrK
2020-11-03, 02:27 PM

Kleandridas comes to a halt as he spies Mihail across the courtyard, the massive goliath towering above all the peoples in the courtyard and standing as tall as the plumed tip of the the spartan's helm. "By Kronos, who is that giant!" he mutters to the courtyard at large, his instinct to step forward and challenge the giant a strong one that he reluctantly quashes. He is even more surprised as the giant and the collection of priestesses and others invites him and Alkimos to join them.

He is slightly surly as he approaches, a wary "Greetings to you all , he pauses, a cautious look of curiosity. "What are these visions that the giant speaks of? I am Kleandridas, warrior of Sparta, I greet you all" he adds more formally, introducing himself. Caution as he spies the strange horned elf (Aegea)

Esprit15
2020-11-03, 09:09 PM
”It seems our crossing paths were foretold to this priestess, Spartan,” Aegea explains, matching the soldier’s glare. “The ‘giant’ as you so bluntly call him is one of these intertwined threads that the Fates have woven together. Our lady here believes that your skipped thread is another.”

Aracor
2020-11-03, 09:44 PM
Mihail grins at Kleandridas, recognizing the challenge in his pose. He has seen it before from many warriors, and stands firm, looking down at the burly human.

I greet you, Kleandridas, and your companions. I am Mihail. This is Xanthia, currently the high priestess of Hera. She has had visions that she is certain are directly from Hera herself. Her visions are of violence and war. Cities in flames, piles of dead, and beasts and monsters that are near as mythic as the gods themselves.

From what I'm gathering, we seven may be important to these visions in some way. I'm hopeful that Xanthia will be able to elucidate further, as right now all we have is vague whispers and mutterings. Would you join us to hear what she has to say?

Mihail nods to Kleandridas, Alkimos, and Arisitichus; then gestures to each of the people already here in turn. This is Aegea, a sellsword. Peridokles, a philosopher and clerk. Philistion of Locri, a healer. Agoros, a warrior.

I never would have been able to do that in real life! It's nice to be able to check the previous posts!

Saintheart
2020-11-04, 02:24 AM
"I am Alkimos, cellkeeper of mighty Kleandridas," The older man grinned as he nodded to Mihail and the others. There were women amongst the group, but he had enough poise not to make note of it. After all, was it not said that the reason women were in charge in Sparta was because they were the only ones who gave birth to real men? "My greetings to each of you. As for me, I would certainly hear of these visions in which we apparently feature so prominently. Not that one necessarily would want to be noticed by the Gods. Or the Muses."

remetagross
2020-11-04, 08:39 AM
This Mihail man has introduced us all - just as well, I don' need to move or speak much...

Still reeling from the intensity of the whispers in his mind, Agoros raises a hand to address a general salute to all the newcomers.

Togo
2020-11-04, 01:51 PM
Peridokles raises his eyebrows as the crowd around him gathered more and more armoured forms, but it was Philistion's gathering of an entire pouch of coin that really grabbed his attention. With a neat bow in his direction, as if conceding a victory in some contest, he gathers his vials together and replaces them carefully in the leather case

If mighty Hera says we shall be together, then together we shall surely be. And yet we still need some aim, some sense of shared purpose, least we take this meeting to the logical conclusion of a wineshop, and with no reason to emerge, linger for several days until our purses can no longer sustain us. Is there some ambition or passion that we all share, some common feeling? Are we united by a love of the finer points of geometry, or politics, or of really good places to acquire labdanum and styrax?

He sighs

Surrounded as I am by so many warriors, and given that our unwilling prophetess there spoke of burning cities, I do note that we all have military experience. But my own was as a clerk. I worked with logistics. I barely know one end of a sword from the other. In an emergency I can fold bandages competently enough, but I'm not a real expert. Maybe I could shout sage advice and wise aphorisms from the sidelines?

He stands up from the wall he was resting against, and adjusts his hat against the new angle of the sun.

Or maybe it just so happened that I was to be here, and the goddess, like a thrifty housewife, saw no reason not to scoop me up with the rest. I am Peridokles, a seller of oils and perfumes by trade, wordy and long-winded by inclination. Philostion and I were trading a few notes on philosophy, and I was just working my around to letting him get a word or two in himself, when were interrupted by fortellings of doom from what appear to be, rather unfortunately, a highly reliable and respected source.

Lady Xanthia? My sympathies for your most blessed and holy affliction, may it be short-lived. Did you perchance see us somewhere in particular on this day, or get any clue as to what we were to set out to accomplish?

Toliudar
2020-11-04, 04:21 PM
Philistion is pleased to allow himself to fade into the background in this discussion of great events and blustery muscle men. When Peridokles announces that they 'all' had military training, Philistion thought about trying to interject, but saw little point.

Instead, he settled for returning his attention to the noble priestess, to see if she had further insights to offer.

DrK
2020-11-05, 02:19 AM

The elf glances at his Spartan brother, "Ever ready with a joke my brother. For no cell could hold me." A ghost of a smile makes it clear that he's trying to joke rather than brag.

At Mikhail's words he nods to all, but lingers once more in Aegea the sells word.

Giving his attention to the priestesses of Hera he motions towards the opening into the Temple. "As you will Priestess. Let us sit out Apollo's burning gaze and tell us if these visions of glorious and battle."

remetagross
2020-11-06, 05:22 AM
"I concur with the elf", adds Agoros, eyes still close and swelling from his communion.

wilphe
2020-11-08, 03:10 PM
Aristarchus and Berenice watch keenly how Mihail and Kleandridas react to each other and relax when introduction go smoothly. Xanthia seems unconcerned about about that - though it may be hard to tell as she is pretty tightly wound up anyway and has a lot else to be tense about.

You get the impression that she just used that as another of her goddesses titles, not specifically aimed at you.

Further pondering being rendered moot as an answer to your question seems to fill the back of your skull

"O Kronos, thou that once ruled Olympus, will joining this group serve thy will?"

IT WILL

Not that one necessarily would want to be noticed by the Gods.

Xanthia looks at Alkimos like she's finally found someone who understands her perfectly

wilphe
2020-11-08, 03:27 PM
Xanthia repeats what she has already said and elaborates for the benefit of those who want more details.

As I had explained before you arrived for the last month I have been, er, gifted with the most vivid dreams. What I have seen is disturbing, cities in flames, piles of dead warriors, beasts and monsters that have not troubled Greece in generations, innocents enslaved.

The seven of you appear at the end of my dreams; and I have always got the firm feeling that your part in these events was benevolent

I have seen a shadow over Hellas, that of a great and terrible man.

I have seen owls roosting under the tiles of a house in Sparta

I have seen the Oasis at Siwa but just glimpses of what lies beneath

I have seen a blindman, a mad man and a man without hands or feet terrorize the Peloponnese

I have heard the ghosts of children cry in pain and loneliness

I have seen a grown man with a limp, a mighty warrior without peer, worry and bully a young boy out of sheer hatred. Until finally that young boy grows and takes furious vengeance on the now old man and strikes him down with such a mighty blow that he never recovers.

She has been speaking louder and faster as this goes on and then finally collapses as reaches the end

wilphe
2020-11-08, 03:36 PM
Any attention that Xanthia's hysterical collapse might bring in your direction is transitory as something even more interesting happens.

A horseman, with the running wolf of Argos on his cloak and his steed looking half-dead and foaming, comes up from the gate - barely moderating his speed as he enters the city and scattering passersby as they struggle to get out of the way.

He appears to be heading towards you, perhaps on the way to the acropolis, however there is at least one old man and a couple of playing children who are in his path and haven't noticed him.

remetagross
2020-11-08, 03:59 PM
As the booming voice finaly answers him by rippling across Agoros' skull, his eyes snap wide open at once. The scene has changed a lot: the priestess has collapsed on the ground, and a great rumble can be heard, with that cavalier barging through the busy streets...Agoros, like the others, sees the obvious collision incoming, but his head swells too much and he feels too dizzy to make the needed movement. Instead, he calls out to the group he has been...assigned with:

"Hep! This horse is going to sweep these people over there! Do something!"

Esprit15
2020-11-09, 01:13 AM
Aegea looks on and quickly springs into action, running at full speed toward the horse, wings suddenly spreading wide as she nears it. ”Whoa! Whoa!” she calls, trying to calm the animal as she stood on its path. If it doesn’t appear to stop, she attempts to grab it by the reins as it gets close and hold the beast still.
Not sure what you want me to roll

Togo
2020-11-09, 06:11 AM
Peridokles moves fast, aiming for a point between the horse and the old man, muttering verse in the Homeric style.

Trust for this benighted beast! To me, attendants of the bountiful earth, and sing trust and friendship
Recall to him of Demeter's compact to that Maid of the Moirai, through the binding of She Who Thirsts.
Behold me, for it is by the Maid's good graces I name thee by thy sire, Earthshaker,
Here I stand ready to take Triptolemus' part, of wood to ward off sun, wind and rain
Of sweet barley in the trough, and of the bright bladed bronze, to bar the wolf from your door!

If this kind of mysticism makes sense, it's not obvious how.
Triptolemus is an ancient hero-king, who was responsible for the spreading of agriculture throughout the world. Presumably this would include animal husbandry and thus keeping horses, but it's a bit of a stretch.

There are several handmaids to the Moirai (Fates), but from context the one he's referring to is almost certainly Eileithyia, the old (pre-Greek) goddess of childbirth from Crete, who gives her name to the Eleusinian Mysteries, one of the best known mystery cults in Greek culture at the time.

Earthshaker, or Enesidaon, is the rather darker aspect of Poseidon, lord of earthquakes, deep dark places, and brother to the Ruler of the Underworld (Hades). Poseidon is supposed to have created horses.

Casting Charm Animal

His delivery is this good (Perform [roll0]) but then epic poetry is not designed to sung while sprinting.

Once he gets to a point before the horse, he stretched his arms wide, and shouts Whoa! Whoa! You are among friends here.

His attention is entirely focused on the horse, not the rider.

Aracor
2020-11-09, 03:41 PM
Mihail, recognizing that everyone is acting at once, decides to see how things play out. He'll charge the horse and rider if none of the more subtle actions being taken succeed at keeping the old man from being trampled. But it would behoove people to be aware of what's coming down!

Runaway Horse! Beware!

Hopefully his booming voice will attract attention quickly enough to scatter the rest of the passerby, though he knows that mere reflexes may not be up to the task at this time.

Mihail will delay until the last moment. If nothing else stops or controls the horse, he'll cast Swift Expeditious Retreat and charge with a non-lethal Shield Slam on the horse itself. Hopefully he won't cause it to break a leg.

Charge and Shield Slam
Knowledge Devotion roll for Humanoids: [roll0]
Attack [roll1] Plus bonus from Knowledge Devotion
If hits
[roll2] nonlethal damage plus bonus from Knowledge Devotion
Trip attempt DC [roll3] - They can resist with either a strength or dexterity check
Fortitude save DC 19 vs Daze for one round

DrK
2020-11-10, 03:08 AM

Kleandridas bends down beside the priestess, arms lifting her up, "Now priestess. Shall we seek somewhere to put you, tell us more of these glorious tidings of battle and glory" As the horse bursts into the square he whirls around, then relaxes, as he watched the hulking titan-son run up with the door sized shield to stop the horse. He glances at the unconscious priestess, a whispered "A worthy rival...." to her her as his one eye watches the goliath.

remetagross
2020-11-11, 05:04 AM
Agoros's fatigued eyes try darting everywhere at once, keeping check of how the situation evolves. They are all thinking on their feet!. Peridokles's chanting intrigues him. How come a perfumer-philosopher-businessman can invoke magic? He is trying to soothe the horse.... The Macedonian keeps a mental note of the abilities eveyrone is displaying here - it will surely prove useful later, regardless of which side of the battlefield they all later end up being.

Toliudar
2020-11-11, 03:55 PM
Philistion

The doctor saw Kleandridos take charge of the falling priestess with remarkable gentleness, and trusts him to keep her safe. Dashing towards horse and rider, Phil murmurs a simple enchantment to help him connect with the exhausted steed. His high tenor rings out, but speaks in no human dialect, but in a loud, high, fluting whinny, directed at the horse.

Move action to get closer to horse and rider. Standard action to cast Speak with Animals. Telling the horse.

"Stop, brave one! We will bring you oats and water, but stop before you harm the young ones close to you."

Philistion continues rushing towards the horse, trying to draw its attention.

wilphe
2020-11-12, 06:20 PM
Reflex Child 1 [roll0]

Reflex Child 2 [roll1]

Will save horse [roll2] +2

wilphe
2020-11-12, 06:22 PM
Ride Check [roll0]+4

wilphe
2020-11-12, 07:02 PM
Agoros and Mihail bark their warnings, and the children - seeing people running at them from all directions - scatter out of the way.

Peridokles and Philistion cast their spells causing the horse to slow enough for Aegea to grab the bridle; bringing it to a halt just before the oblivious old man. The rider takes some effort to stay in the saddle but succeeds and briefly glares at the half dragon before deciding this is not a fight he yet wants to pick. The horse neighs and whinneys towards Philistion.

Mihail, his intervention unnecessary, comes to a halt.

Berenice goes to help Xanthia but Kleandridas catches her first so her attention is directed towards Agoros

You are not well friend? Come sit down.

Xanthia is conscious but just barely and gasps into Kleandridas' ear

Bethink thee now, O Sparta, though thou art very glorious, lest from thee, sound of foot, there spring a maimed royalty; for long will unexpected toils oppress thee, and onward-rolling billows of man-destroying war.

"Stop, brave one! We will bring you oats and water, but stop before you harm the young ones close to you."

Water. Thirsty. Run much. Spurs - much blood

The rider is not happy, but apparently little more than a youth, you get the impression that if he wasn't outnumbered he'd get violent but he seems to possess enough sense to try bluster

Let go of my horse! I am on official business and carry an urgent message for the strategoi*.

Aristarchus yells at him,

Calm yourself Lysias, there can be no message so urgent that you need to trample your fellow citizens. You have found a strategos, so make your report.

Lysias stiffens and dismounts, leaving Aegea to hold his horse if she is inclined to do so

Sir, it is my duty to inform you that we are missing a patrol; and the entire population of the hamlet of Rhamnomnos

* Strategoi are the generals. In Argos they are elected for six month terms

Esprit15
2020-11-12, 11:25 PM
”If you are to kill members of your own citizenry in your rush to deliver your message, you may as well not deliver it at all, messenger boy,” Aegea growls at the youth, holding the horse’s reins. She pets the animal to further help calm it, gaze still resting on the messenger.

“How does the whole population of a hamlet simply disappear?”

Saintheart
2020-11-12, 11:30 PM
"Usually the same way a patrol goes missing. Made to vanish with spears, swords, and arrows." Alkimos takes one more look to see that Kleandridas has his job in hand, and strides over to stand next to Aristarchus. He addresses the messenger. "Is the work of slavers or raiders? And if you do not know, who might we speak to in order to find out more about this?"

Because that person presumably will be the one able to pay for a team of mercenaries to deal with a problem, the old Spartan thought to himself.

Toliudar
2020-11-13, 03:39 AM
Philistion

The slender doctor keeps an ear open to the great doings being reported, but his eye and his focus is on his next patient, the exhausted horse. Philistion maintains contact with the horse, whickering softly as he walked up to it.

"There. Soft now. Still now. Soon, you will be taken for food and water. I will sooth your sides where the spurs have gone in. Soft. Soft."

As Philistion reaches the horse, the whickering becomes a soft, droning chant, and the bloody marks on its side begin to fade. He never looks at the rider at all, but returns to the horse's head, stroking it in an effort to calm and reassure it.

Burning Deathwatch to get Cure Minor Wounds. The horse recovers 3 HP, and likely the same amount of nonlethal damage.

Heal check to make sure there's nothing more seriously wrong than exhaustion and overuse. [roll0].

Handle Animal to keep it calm, if needed [roll1].

Aracor
2020-11-13, 11:42 AM
Mihail's muscles relax, seeing that his more direct intervention will not be needed. He waves the children off to continue their play, then looks at Alkimos seriously.

Usually when a group of people have become "missing" in such a way as you describe, there are bodies, and the report would be that they were killed. Even if raiders were trying to hide such evidence, an entire hamlet being murdered or taken would be difficult to hide all traces from an experienced tracker.

He turns to the messenger.

Lysias, was it? You have the most direct information of anyone here. Were they murdered, or missing? I would expect that if a Spartan patrol was attacked by ANYONE, much less raiders or slavers, would make their mark on the attackers even were they killed to a man. And more importantly, what is the chance that a patrol would surrender WITHOUT being killed? What is the population of Rhamnomnos?

I apologize if I'm overstepping here. But this is concerning. Kleandridas, do you fancy taking a walk with me once you've put the priestess down safely where she can recover from her ordeal? If someone has convinced the population of Rhamnomnos to leave, perhaps we can "convince" them that there was a...misunderstanding. Anyone else who is interested would of course be welcome to come as well. If nothing else, the circumstances of this messenger coming right after Xanthia's message to us seems like more than mere chance.

Mihail gives Kleandridas a wolfish grin and raises his oversized shield.

remetagross
2020-11-13, 02:50 PM
Agoros gladly takes Berenice's hand and slowly raises to his feet.

"I simply need some rest." he says, following her. Then, as a parting shot to the goliath warrior:

"I could not agree more with you,, Mihail. Such a happenstance must be willed by the gods. Were we to ask Xanthia after she has recovered, I am sure she would concur."

wilphe
2020-11-13, 08:32 PM
The horse relaxes and rubs the side of it's head against Philistion

"There. Soft now. Still now. Soon, you will be taken for food and water. I will sooth your sides where the spurs have gone in. Soft. Soft."

Thank you. It hurt.

wilphe
2020-11-13, 08:42 PM
Any thoughts that Lysias might have of responding to Aegea are temporarily put to one side when Aristarchus rebukes him in the same manner.

The nobleman however looks quite concerned - Remember when I said travelers on the road to Corinth were disappearing? Rhamnomnos is the most distant settlement on that road before you leave Argolid country. It is not much of a place - maybe a score of inhabitants. But I had stationed a few horsemen there to patrol the road.

wilphe
2020-11-13, 08:57 PM
Lysias, was it? You have the most direct information of anyone here. Were they murdered, or missing?

Lysias looks at Aristarchus who gives him the nod Speak ephebe; this matter may concern our friends as much as us

Lysias shoots a glare at the two Spartans suggesting that he is not happy at considering them - or to be honest most of these strangers - friends but replies Missing. My unit is based in Mycenae - we were checking up on the guys stationed there and found everyone and every animal gone. No sign of violence. The lochagos pulled us out back to Mycenae and sent me to bear the news

wilphe
2020-11-13, 09:02 PM
Anyone else who is interested would of course be welcome to come as well

Aristarchus scratches the side of his nose as if reading Alkimos' mind If this is indeed connected to Xanthia's prophecies you would not find us ungrateful if you could resolve it

Saintheart
2020-11-13, 10:05 PM
"Then I for one would be happy to come along," says Alkimos. He grins. "Perusing a bloodless battlefield certainly sounds to have novelty value to it. I can't speak for the Arges over there, but I wouldn't mind another person keeping an eye out. He's rather good at having an eye out."

Reminder, Arges is Greek for Cyclops. And yes, these horrendous puns will be continuing, I have a +20 in Dad Jokes.

DrK
2020-11-14, 05:08 AM

As the chaos wit the horse subsides the elf stares with his one eye at the priestess and listens to her words. Leaning forward his chiseled thin jaw inches from her face he whispers back. "War and battle is no toil. It is a lover, a mistress, a wife until the grave." Then still suprisingly gentle he lays her down, draping his cloak down as a blanket/pillow whilst she recovers and her attendants can tend to her.

As the messenger speaks of the missing patrol and the village he glances at his fellow homoioi and then up at Mikhail as the giant addresses him. He nods emphatically, rising up to his full height, so still only at the goliath's chest. "Aye, we have been well received by the Aristarchus and I am well refreshed and able to have a walk and seek out some entertainment to make a sharp point" At Alkimos's jests he shrugs, "I see better with my one than you do with both, unless its a comely maiden Alkimos. Come, let us work your legs and spear arm rather than your tongue."

Once its clear that the priestess is well looked after he'll don his cloak and look to the messenger boy, "Will you show us the way my Argosian rabbit or are you done now?"

Toliudar
2020-11-14, 10:42 AM
The nervous doctor keeps a hand on the horse's bridle as he turns to speak to the group.

"To have absconded with so many people without violence would seem to require an act of the gods or else a massive disordering of the mind. I have no experience with the actions of the gods, but I am a student of mental imbalances. If you are travelling back to investigate, I would be honoured to accompany you."

Esprit15
2020-11-14, 11:50 AM
"I'm curious enough to come along. If something can disappear the inhabitants of a hamlet, it's something I think my people would want to know about."

remetagross
2020-11-14, 01:23 PM
Agoros muses about the recent news, thinking out loud.
Having a whole village plus a garrison disappear without trace...that raises some questions. I remember, once, during the Lyncestid campaign...actually, we later all found them back; they had deserted from Arrhabaios' army and wanted to cover their tracks. Lucky for them, that they were found by us, and not by the Lyncestid army, or they would have been all executed. Maybe that could be the explanation here? That last part was directed at Aristarchus.

Aracor
2020-11-14, 09:56 PM
Agoros, you look like you're worse off now than you were when we first met. You can barely stand. Can you march for 2-3 hours? It's midday now, so there is plenty of daylight to reach at least Mycenae yet today. If you can stomach it, my suggestion would be to get lunch here, then march to Mycenae. We can bed down there, and continue to Rhamnomnos in the morning. That would probably be the smartest idea since it still has a population. If we were to press on all the way to Rhamnomnos, we'd have a few hours of daylight to investigate, and then potentially be sleeping in hostile territory, and that's presuming we don't stop to eat. Better, I think, to rest well tonight and have the full morrow to determine what has happened there. Does anyone in this band have more than basic skill at tracking? I'm sure that would put us in good stead once we arrive, unless everyone really did just disappear.

But if you aren't fit to march, then out with it now so we can plan accordingly.

Mihail looks down at Agoros expectantly.

If we take the time to eat, that should give Agoros at least time to shake of the exhaustion. He'd still be fatigued until he rests for 8 hours, but he should at least be in a reasonable shape to walk. Exhaustion reducing him to half speed would make for a much longer walk. From a metagame standpoint, an hour's rest + Philistion using Lesser Restoration will actually get him fighting fit. But Mihail doesn't know he can use that particular spell.

Togo
2020-11-15, 06:10 AM
Peridokles watches Philistion tend to the horse, eyes wide.

Now that, is impressive. he says softly. I can see why the obsession with cutting, that has your colleagues so in thrall, might leave you frustrated.

He looks back towards the others.

If it's a choice between taking a long hike with a company well-armed, and staying in town not knowing what is causing entire settlements to disappear, I'd rather tag along. With luck this is some kind of raid by beasts or pirates, and we'll be back in a day or two. If we're unlucky, and it's politics, then that will find it's way here in any case.

He spreads his hands apologetically.

Besides - can't disappoint Hera, now can we?

remetagross
2020-11-15, 10:00 AM
Agoros ponders for a moment before answering the giant man.
"...Leaving now, I would take much longer than a few hours to reach Mycenae, let alone Rhamnomnos. I was about to follow this lady here", and the mercenary indicates Berenice, "for some rest; and I have to admit, being able to shut my eyes for an hour or so would allow me to be in a much better shape for the march ahead of us. That seems the more sensible option to me."

That said, he lets himself be tended to by Berenice.

Toliudar
2020-11-15, 11:54 AM
The healer makes eye contact with Peridokles when the perfumier makes his comment about not disappointing Hera, but says nothing in response.

Philistion then turns his attention to the messenger for the first time. The young doctor has a surfeit of whatever the opposite of 'intimidating' in his blood, but he looks gravely at the young soldier.

"Less spurs and more care will take you further. You have done your job. Now get this horse some food and oats."

The talk about departing immediately draws his attention back to the task at hand. He gives the horse a pat on the cheek and walks over to Agoros.

"Certainly, rest would do you good, and I am content to wait on you. But if you would permit, I know an old magic which rebalances the humours and restores the blood. Would you like to administer it?"

Remembering their previous exchange, Philistion smiles.

"No charge."

remetagross
2020-11-15, 12:38 PM
Agoros smiles back.

"Charge or not, if a taste of your first medicine was any indication, you are most welcome."

Toliudar
2020-11-15, 10:52 PM
Smiling shyly, the healer leads Agoros to a place where he could sit.

"This will take a moment."

There is a slow drone of six syllables, repeating several time. Philistion's hands trace a delicate pattern across Agoros' scalp. A moment later, there is a feeling of refreshment that spreads through the warrior.

I'm hoping that Lesser Restoration, which is supposed to remove Fatigued and turn Exhausted to Fatigued, is enough to help.

Aracor
2020-11-16, 04:00 PM
Mihail silently watches the healer use real magic for the second time today. While the first spell is something that a novice could do (though he was clearly more practiced than a novice), this was a much more potent ability.

He lowers his voice down to a rumble. If I needed any greater proof that this group was being pulled together for more than simply a fight, I believe that was just demonstrated to me.

He wonders how many here are capable of true magic. With his own knowledge, that puts nearly half of the group capable of using some kind of supernatural abilities, and that's what he has learned in a single minor situation. How many of the others were holding back, he muses.

Toliudar
2020-11-16, 05:21 PM
Philistion's face colours and dips to his chest.

"All credit for my humble magics go to Apollo, and to my teachers at the Academy. I remain a student in such matters."

wilphe
2020-11-18, 10:03 PM
"Will you show us the way my Argosian rabbit or are you done now?"

Lysias gives a look like he longs to strike the Spartan down, Berenice sees Agoros in safe hands and speaks up

I will go with you, so have no fear of getting lost and then turns to a somewhat surprised Aristarchus before he can interrupt and addresses his him modestly but firmly

Father, I am your obedient daughter, but I am also a servant of Hera. Xanthia cannot travel and there is no one else who knows her visions better than I. If this is part of them, I should be there.

Aristarchus sighs Who am I to thwart the will of the Gods? he looks at Alkimos, Spartan I entrust you with the safety of my daughter, and dismisses Lysias, Proceed to the stables and then spread word to the other strategoi. We need a conference

wilphe
2020-11-18, 10:11 PM
Xanthia is carried away by her servants.
Aristarchus departs for the Acropolis.
Berenice arranges for some provisions (Bread, cheese, olives, wine) and a few other supplies on the back of a donkey tended by Breetha

If you want to do anything before leaving the city now's the time. Otherwise you'll be on the road to Mycenae

DrK
2020-11-19, 05:04 AM

The impassive elf looks at the young boy, a hint of a smile and s light shift of weight as he readies to respond if the boy is stupid enough to respond. As the lad backs down he turns back to the others. At Aristarchus's words to Alkimos he grins at his brother Spartan, a soft whisper to his fellow, "Enjoy your babysitting at the back whilst I reap the glory my friend. You tongue can do much battle n this journey." .. chuckling to himself he is happy to watch the preparations. The only thing distracting again, the horned elven woman, something unsettles him there but e knows not what.

When they are ready to set out Kleandridas strides confidently and is happy to range a little ahead of the party, ears and eye alert to danger. His bow held in his hand, spear and shield slung on his back as he walks.

Spot [roll0]
Listen [roll1]
Tracking [roll2]

Kleandridas of Sparta (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2294956)
M N Blooded One - Wood Elf Ranger 2 / Scout 4, Level 6, Init 6, HP / , DR 1/ S/P, Speed
AC 25, Touch 16, Flat-footed 20, Fort 9, Ref 13, Will 3, Base Attack Bonus 5
MW Adamantine Longsword +11 (1d8+5, 19-20)
MW Bludgeoning Shield +11 (1d8+5, x2)
Reach Longspear +1 (-) +11 (1d8+6, x3)
Mithral Breastplate , Heavy Shield (MW) (+5 Armor, +2 Shield, +5 Dex, +1 Deflect, +2 Natural)
Abilities Str 21, Dex 21, Con 16, Int 13, Wis 13, Cha 9
Condition
--- Trackless Step
--- Favoured enemy +4 Human/+2 magical beast [Tracking, spotting, damage]

Esprit15
2020-11-19, 07:59 PM
Aegea stops while they are at the stables to pick up her horse, but otherwise does not delay the group any.

Once they are out of town, she takes a forward position and scans the forest for threats to the group. From horseback, she carries her bow in a casual low-ready position, just as interested in possible game as she is in danger.

Toliudar
2020-11-19, 08:53 PM
Philistion

The shy healer begs for a few minutes delay to run back to his shop (to water the plants, scoop up a roll of bandages and put up the ancient Greek equivalent of "Gone Fishing" up on the door). He is back with a sturdy cloak in about 10 minutes.

On the road, Philistion quietly introduces himself to Berenice, and asks more about her family, her mother, and about the progression of her visions.

remetagross
2020-11-20, 09:05 AM
Agoros closes his eyes with relief as he feels magic coursing through his body and cleansing him. He stands up, less unsteady than a moment before. "You definitely are a healer of great valor, Philistion. Maybe your powers are supported not only by Appolon, but by his Titanid grandmother Phebe."

Not having any competence as a rider, Agoros does not pick a horse from the stables, and starts on foot to follow the expedition. Using his lance as a walking stick to alleviate the burden of the walk, and his shield at the ready, he remains in the middle of the pack near Philistion.

Togo
2020-11-20, 01:15 PM
Peridokles disappears for scant few minutes, before returning wearing a light tunic with loose sleeves, and carrying a larger satchel. His eyes are now outlined in black kohl as protection against the sun, the rather Egyptian affectation clashing somewhat with his broad brimmed hat.

He looks at the assembling group, makes a few mental calculations, and then inserts himself neatly into the middle with Philostion and Agoros. The two elves Aegea and Kleandridas are ahead, their sharp eyes alert for danger, which Mihail and Alkimos bring up the rear, guarding Berenice, Dreetha and the donkey that carries the rest of the supplies.

Toliudar
2020-11-20, 02:41 PM
Philistion offers a small smile in response to Agoros.

"I am a man of science, so will leave such matters of faith to you and others who understand better. I care less about where the power comes from than where it goes. In the same vein, I am pleased to leave acts of valour to you and the other trained soldiers among us. Your success is measured in valour, mine by how many of us are safe at the end."

The boyish elf offers a faint shrug.

"But if you don't mind me asking...that's a much thicker spear than most that I've seen soldiers here train with. What is your inspiration for its use?"

Aracor
2020-11-26, 09:49 PM
Mihail takes a few minutes to resupply what he used up on his journey here, and then proceeds out with everyone else. He's very happy to be end up in the rear with Alkimos. The grizzled veteran is clearly experienced, and he doesn't seem as hot-headed as Kleandridas. Mihail will try to feel out his feelings on Sparta vs Greece in general. And he's curious if they ever ended up in the same battle.

Saintheart
2020-11-27, 11:00 PM
To his surprise, Alkimos finds he doesn't dislike Mihail once the two get talking, and the Spartan is glad of the shoptalk while Kleandridas is off scouting ahead. This is partially Alkimos's instinct in being a steward of platoons, but also because the two of them have a shared interest in stories, in collecting stories, and remembering the sorts of enemies they have both run into over the years. He finds that Mihail and he fought did indeed fight on opposite sides at one of the later battles of the war, albeit circumstance meant they never actually were close enough to conceivably cross spears in that contest. Mihail did try to draw the Spartan out on politics, but decorum meant Alkimos avoided the somewhat awkward subject other than observing that the Persian shadow in the east has lost none of its potency while the Peloppenese were aflame.

Picking up on the fact we both seem to have gone for the the Knowledge Devotion thing. I'd guess they're chatting about the best place to hit a manticore to bring it down to the ground, for example.

Toliudar
2020-11-28, 07:08 AM
Philistion turns to the perfume-seller, Peridokles, walking beside him.

"If you don't mind a slightly personal question?"

He pauses, and does not proceed without a sign of assent.

"Back in the city, you suggested that all of us have military training. You are a clearly a man of diverse talents, but I would not have pictured you as a foot soldier. Would it be inappropriate to ask as to the nature of your service?"

remetagross
2020-11-28, 08:53 AM
Agoros smiles at Philistion's inquiry, tapping on his spear shaft with a finger.
"This is a sarissa. It is made of cornus wood, and as you can see, its length means I can fight behind not one, but two ranks of soldiers, and still have it outreach through these ranks to the ennemies. They are starting to see use in Macedonia, even if they are a quite recent invention."

I'm ahead of time by about a century, hence Agoros suggesting it's a newfangled device :p

Togo
2020-11-28, 08:43 PM
Peridokles looks a bit surprised, but waves for the healer to continue. Clearly he was lost in thought. Or maybe he' taken Philostion's interest in the thickness of Mikahil's spear as a conversation into which he should not intrude.

Ah, well... I was military clerk. Lots of little jobs. A bit of investigation. Helping with the medics. Arranging supplies, mostly. There's always a role for a man who can add up fast and accurately, and write neatly in hurry. And eventually that meant hanging around the command tent to advise on who we could move where based on what rations. They didn't really need me for that, they could work it out themselves if they wrote it down. But apparently it was much faster if I did it. They were all like that really. Jobs that any educated people could have done.

He winces.

I suspect they just didn't want to have me in formation. I'm just about strong enough, but... well, l heard the phrase 'madly flailing', more than once. There's a trick, to strike hard without threatening the people fighting close beside you you. Apparently, not one I had learned.

He glances back at Philostion.

I don't actually recall if you said you'd had military experience or not. But no sensible force at arms would turn down a doctor of your experience.

Toliudar
2020-11-29, 02:13 PM
Philistion nods, examining the sarissa with interest but, clearly, no desire to try it out himself. It seems likely that the spear's haft is thicker than the boy's arm.

The young doctor smiles warmly at Peridokles story about his contribution to the war effort.

"I have no battle training myself, but my family hunted and fished a great deal, so I was no stranger to blood, even before beginning my studies. But I've heard it said that an army travels on its stomach, so would suggest that you are underestimating the importance of your contribution to the effort. If the soldiers arrived at battle well-fed, with sandals and shields, that is in itself a major accomplishment.

"Regardless, it remains to be seen whether this is a military mission at all, so to speak. I'm...not sure whether it would be easier to handle if it is, or if it isn't. If you see what I mean."

wilphe
2020-12-01, 03:21 AM
The journey is pleasant enough, you are travelling at the hottest time of the day but it is still pretty early in the year. At first the road runs through fairly well cultivated land with barley in the fields and the odd vegetable plot near the dwellings. Most of the farmers are taking a break, but otherwise things see calm and normal enough.

After about an hour or so you start to climb and the land becomes less densely cultivated - giving Aegea the opportunity to bag a hare - and the population thinner. The village now loosely referred to as Mycenae sits below the ruins of the old palace complex - now razed and abandoned.

The ruins themselves are dour and ancient even within the reckoning of elves where even the oldest remember the glories of the court of Great Agamemnon only in the way a human elder remembers their fifth birthday.

The "new" village has maybe a few score of inhabitants working the local land and is home to a detachment of half a dozen cavalry who are camping in an adjacent olive grove. Their commander doesn't really volunteer anymore details - though feel free to pump him for some - and both he and his men are visibly on edge whilst the locals are openly discussing moving down closer to Argos until this is resolved.

Mycenae was a small but functioning town until a few generations ago when Argos levelled it

A lot of very bad stuff happened at Mycenae including a lot of inter-family murder and at least two cases of cannibalism

These being the sort of events that give a place significance. It's not specifically magical but there's a background hum and with a bit of research and preparation this would probably be a good place to perform certain magic.

Of course performing without that research and preparation would probably be a good way to get yourself in a heap of trouble

wilphe
2020-12-01, 03:34 AM
On the road, Philistion quietly introduces himself to Berenice, and asks more about her family, her mother, and about the progression of her visions.

Berenice is polite enough - walking along effortlessly under a parasol. She lost her birth mother Calanthe at a young age and whilst Xanthia is a distant blood relative the two of them ended up quite close because of it.

Her elder brother Hector is serving in the forces of Argos on the frontier with Sparta and her younger brother Cleon is in Sparta going through the agoge

There is some tension between her and her father Aristarchus

He doesn't like her spending so much time at the Temple recently

She doesn't approve of her little brother being sent to Sparta

wilphe
2020-12-01, 03:50 AM
Nothing will happen overnight unless you make it happen, so you can either make something happen or work out how you are going to approach Rhamnomnos

remetagross
2020-12-01, 06:04 AM
While amiably chatting with Philistion about the specifics of his weapon, Agoros takes care not to miss the exchange between the healer and Berenice. Noticing certain body language patterns, Agoros ponders a moment before waiting for a lull to gently enter the conversation.

"If I understand correctly, Lady Berenice, with your two brothers away from Argos, you are now the sole family your father has in town. I suppose he cherishes the moments you two can spend together, between your father's and yourself's various occupations."

Toliudar
2020-12-01, 01:46 PM
Philistion is happy to share his own stories of tension with his father by means of helping to draw Berenice out.

"Oh, my father would tell you that he's very proud of his son the doctor...now. But five years ago, when I begged him to leave off helping on his fishing boat to go study, you would have thought that I was tearing out his liver!"

As the group arrived in Mycenae, Philistion quickly confers with his companions.

"Perhaps the cavalrymen would speak most readily to the soldiers among us. If we can spare a few minutes, I'll see if I can offer my services in exchange for any word of what they may have heard from further up the road."

Knowledge local [roll0]
Sense Motive for Berenice [roll1]

Esprit15
2020-12-01, 08:31 PM
Aegea takes her kill and grins like a child who just won a game. Every kill is something to feel pride for. She gives thanks for the hare (which would be an excellent ingredient for dinner tonight), and ties it to her side for butchering later.

”So almost any of us. I’ll chat them up and see if there’s anything to learn.”

Toliudar
2020-12-01, 09:25 PM
Meanwhile, the shy doctor makes his way over to the cluster of buildings that marked the new chapter in the life of Mycenae.

wilphe
2020-12-02, 12:25 AM
I suppose he cherishes the moments you two can spend together, between your father's and yourself's various occupations.

That would be right, but he also misses having a free woman to run the house which I have been doing for him since I was the height of a halfling. He could take another wife of course.

wilphe
2020-12-02, 01:01 AM
Aegea:

Your arrival is greeted with some interest, but the soldiers relax when they see Berenice.

The lochagos is a young man in his early 20s named Jaraxes who combines an aristocratic air of command with the uncertainty of someone having to confront real danger and responsibility for the first time in his life.

We left a patrol of 4 there overnight with orders to try to push through the pass and try to make contact with Corinth. Rest of us were to patrol the hills. After two days we had no word so went to see what was up.

Whole place was empty, no people, no animals like they just got up and left in the middle of the night. I got us the hell out of there sharpish and pulled back to secure here, send a messenger and wait for orders and reinforcements

It seems they have a low opinion of Lysias and were glad to get rid of him :miko:

Has a lot of variation in how big and important the lochos he commands is; but here he is in charge of 8-16 people. That could put him anywhere from a corporal to a junior officer; probably closer to the latter as he has the independent command of a bunch of aristocratic kids

Philistion:

There are tiny hamlets like this all over Greece anywhere safe enough to be worth living but not productive enough to support a larger settlement and they mostly haven't changed since Agamemnon's time. The only thing remarkable about this one is it's location. There's a few women milking goats and spinning and some men doing a bit of carpentry.

All the men, all the boys large enough and quite a few of the females too have weapons nearby. Spears, clubs, slings or just rocks for throwing.

There's a lot more animals here than normal - they'd normally be out and around seeking fresh pasture. It seems the inhabitants aren't taking any chances and/or are getting ready to move out

You notice one of the women has a fresh burn on her arm, probably from cooking. It is not very well dressed with little more than a rag poorly tied around it.

DrK
2020-12-02, 02:00 AM

Kleandridas enjoyed the march through the hills and the dust, his eye and bow scanning the crags and shrubs

As they reach the village he takes a long drink from his water skin before heading towards the well to refill it. He nods to Aegea, "You were peckish then? A nice hare. "

As they mingle he heads towards the small unit of Argosians, cloak swishing behind him as he looks down at the young aristocrats. Spying the lochagos he marches up to him. "Did you search for the missing or scurry back here? Why have you not sought out your missing men?" His flat tone makes no effort to hide his disapproval.

Spot [roll0]

M N Blooded One - Wood Elf Ranger 2 / Scout 4, Level 6, Init 6, HP / , DR 1/ S/P, Speed
Mithral Breastplate , Heavy Shield (MW) (+5 Armor, +2 Shield, +5 Dex, +1 Deflect, +2 Natural)
Condition
--- Trackless Step

wilphe
2020-12-02, 06:25 AM
I'm sorry has Sparta conquered Argos too now? If so congratulations this is your problem now. If not, I don't answer to you and don't talk to me like I am a helot

Esprit15
2020-12-02, 07:46 AM
To Kleandridas
”No, I figured it would make a good ingredient for stew tonight for the group.”

“Excuse the Spartan. He’s from Sparta,” Aegea says with a smile. ”We are serving as protection for an employer and just wish to know about any danger on the path ahead. Your men looked a bit on edge, so it so we assumed something had happened and wanted to ask about dangers on the path ahead.

“I am curious though why you decided to leave there so quickly, though,” Aegea continues, thinking back to the hamlet that had vanished. “You say there was no trace of them at all? No signs of struggle? No footprints? What persuaded you to return here rather than seek out your subordinates?”
I don’t preemptively roll anything, so if you need a check, please ask me.

Togo
2020-12-02, 03:45 PM
Peridokles seem more interested in the site than the people. He picks his way, seemingly at random, over little rocks and between small bushes, talking softly to himself, his path taking him indirectly but inexorably, towards the old ruins, like a wasp meandering around spilled wine. At one particularly prominent stone, speckled with lichen and scarred with old carvings worn down with wind and time, he stops. Setting up a very small cup on the stone, he pours a small libation into it from a flask, but makes no move to drink it. Instead he leans against the stone and looks around, still taking to himself, as if expecting a child to be creeping up on him.

Yes, it is, isn't it? But what kind of 'shivery feeling', that's the question? Is it all old or did something more recent happen- <pause> well of course you weren't, but can you tell now? <long pause> Well then maybe if you lend me your eyes, then I could- What? But what do you want with mine? <pause> Look, it's not 'some trick' it's just a different perspective on- Ok, then a different perspective and a lot of training, but I still don't think it will-. Well yes, ok, we'll try.

Sight! Oh spirits of the air and sky, grant to me the fondness of great Helios for his most wise and beauteous daughter, let his regard be entrusted to his mother's grace. That I may sift, from Hecate's murk of ages past, the workings of more recent hands!

And while that song is sung, and should that gift be given, perhaps there is another place for you and yours. A gift in friendship, both in the Gleaming One's grace, and on this ancient stone.

Helios is the god of the sun, and of light, and thus perception. Also the patron of Rhodes.

Hecate is the goddess of witchcraft and magic

Helios had three daughters Aeetes, Circe, and Pasiphae. Circe, the enchantress, was renowned for her magical knowledge. And for turning people into animals or monsters.

The 'gleaming one' is probably Theia, the Titan of vision and sight, and Helios' mother. She is also responsible for the beauty of gold.

In the second spoken paragraph, Peridokles is casting detect magic. The third spoken paragraph is not identifiably a spell, although he certain seems to be concentrating on something.

Peridokles is using his detect spirits class ability, as well as casting detect magic. Wandering around the village and ruins, does he detect any signs of disturbed or restless spirits, or ongoing magic?

Toliudar
2020-12-02, 05:03 PM
Philistion approaches the closest man working by his home. The slender doctor looks inoffensive enough, but opens his hands to show that he is unarmed save for his healer's belt pack.

"Good afternoon, sir! I am a travelling healer, and wonder if any here have injuries or illnesses in need of tending. Also, we are travelling up the road, and wonder if there is any news to be had from that direction."

He looks around at the gathered animals, and decides to deliberately mistake the meaning.

"I don't understand. Are you preparing for a market day?"

Spot checks [roll0] and [roll1]

Diplomacy to make friendly: [roll2]

DrK
2020-12-03, 06:15 PM

At the man's comment about Sparta conquering Argos the elf's lips curl into a sneer, a clear insult about to spoken until Aegea then intervenes. He listens to his fellow aisrai and waits for the officer to respond. A glance at Aegea, a "Strange to make them all vanish with no sign of bloodshed, They must have been taken by surprise by a larger force."

Condition
--- Trackless Step

remetagross
2020-12-04, 12:14 PM
Agoros keeps conversing with an amiable tone.
"And why wouldn't he do so? Surely, he cannot hope to always have his daughter by his side while she inevitably rises in the ranks of the clergy of Hera."

wilphe
2020-12-14, 08:56 AM
"I don't understand. Are you preparing for a market day?"

One of the older men looks Philistion up and down and then spits an olive stone into the corner

Getting ready to move everything into the city. Too dangerous to stay here. People been disappearing on the road for weeks. City authorities didn't believe us. They think we're just a bunch of superstitious peasants fussing about nuthing.

So they sent a bunch of useless aristo pretty boys to show us there was nothin; now half of them have vanished too and the whole of the next village along the road and they are in a hell of a funk.

Good job you showed up with Lady Berenice or you'd have found us much less friendly.

He pauses

And in answer to your inevitable followup question, no we don't know what it is - but we know it's real.

Some say its the Nemean Lion returned

Bellos over there claims he's heard strange singing in the hills, when he's been on watch at night. Could be. His ears are sharper than the rest of us.

Or some damn idiot has been poking round the palace and meddled with somthing he shouldna. Always weird stuff going on up there. That's why we leave the place well alone

Or it's mundane slavers; but seems unlikely. The war just ended and there's a glut of slaves. Might pick up a pretty little thing for m'self if I have to sell the herd.

He winks lasciviously and a few standing by him chuckle

Now if you are looking to ply your trade we had Melissa burn herself the other day. And I'm sure you could find sore joints, bad skin and teeth to pull if you look at all of us.

wilphe
2020-12-14, 09:20 AM
Peridokles is using his detect spirits class ability, as well as casting detect magic. Wandering around the village and ruins, does he detect any signs of disturbed or restless spirits, or ongoing magic?

There's nothing in the village - though you do get some suspicious looks.

In the ruins there is a background hum of old and powerful magic - mostly tuned to Divination, Necromancy and Conjuration.

There are two spots of note. What appears to be an old grave with a flavour of Divination and an old stone table with a flavour of Divination and Conjuration. The latter also has recent bloodstains and the remains of some burnt offerings on and around it.

For spirits - you cannot pin it down as they seem to be all around but only in rat sized spots that are apparently unintelligent but give off a vibe of pain and malevolence

wilphe
2020-12-14, 11:30 AM
"And why wouldn't he do so? Surely, he cannot hope to always have his daughter by his side while she inevitably rises in the ranks of the clergy of Hera."

She smiles wanly

Now you may understand perhaps why he does not totally approve of my activities

wilphe
2020-12-14, 11:51 AM
“I am curious though why you decided to leave there so quickly, though,”

"Strange to make them all vanish with no sign of bloodshed, They must have been taken by surprise by a larger force."

Jaraxes looks about him and steps a little closer conspiratorially

We were sent out here to show the shield and calm the countrymen who've been spreading all sorts of wild tales and speculation.

Maybe we'd find a few travelers who had fallen off the path or deter the odd bandit into leaving and seeking easier prey, but no more.

If a local lion or beast had turned maneater. We send for a tracker and some beastslayers; because none of us are trackers and cavalry are little use in these hills away from the roads.

If it is a serious problem doctrine calls for overwhelming force rather than a series of escalating defeats in detail until you send enough. We are not overwhelming force.

I don't think there was a large force or even we would have found some tracks or signs - but as I said we are not trackers so you may do better.

So no, we gave the buildings a quick check and found nothing. Then I got us out of there while I could still maintain some discipline. My boys have been listening to the villagers gossip and camping out in sight of the ruins - so they were spooked. Still are in fact. Show them a visible enemy and they'll do fine, but that's not what we face here.

I know little of monsters or magic - but I know when I am outclassed.

Togo
2020-12-14, 07:43 PM
Peridokles meanders back towards the villagers, deep in thought. He pauses and looks back, this time up at the hills surrounding the site, shading his eyes against the high sun.

Was the old grave old village work, or an ancient grave belonging to the ancient ruins?

wilphe
2020-12-15, 06:30 AM
Was the old grave old village work, or an ancient grave belonging to the ancient ruins?

In the ruins. The village is entirely mundane apart from the PCs in it.

You can speculate that a grave in Mycenae that radiates divination is going to be or associated with Cassandra but that would need some work to verify

remetagross
2020-12-15, 06:46 AM
Agoros calmly strolls next to the head of the Argosian patrol.
"Well, I cannot say whether there is a tracker among us" though the mercenary glances at Aegea while speaking, "nor whether we constitute what can be called an overwhelming force, but at the very least we can slay some beasts."

Turning to the elder that has spoken up, Agoros softly adds
"Maybe one of yours could lead us through the general direction where the sounds were heard? Bellos, maybe?"

DrK
2020-12-15, 07:11 AM

Chatting to the others as he squats by the fire drinking some sour wine and eating a chunk of goat and bread he grinned at Aklos and Aegea.
"So the famed Lion eh, a fine pelt he will make for our school in Sparta. I fancy a spear tipped with its claws don't you?" he asks the others. Cocksure in his own own and his brother Spartan's abilities to kill a large cat.

Looking at the others, he gestures to the mountain path. "Shall we explore first thing in the morning? See if we can find what these young ladies missed."

Condition
--- Trackless Step

Togo
2020-12-15, 03:32 PM
Peridokles joins the group of soldiers, giving a nod to Agoros and Aegea.

Hi, sorry to intrude. Does anyone happen to know who's been poking around in the ruins over there? I thought it might be useful to have a chat with them?

wilphe
2020-12-15, 04:09 PM
"Maybe one of yours could lead us through the general direction where the sounds were heard? Bellos, maybe?"

The Elder laughs grimly,

What say you Bellos?

A man in more or less vigorous early age who has been sharpening arrows shakes his head

You want to join me on watch tonight and hear if they come back you are welcome. I could do with the company. Other than that I hear them in the mountains I don't know where they are coming from and I ain't keen to go look

wilphe
2020-12-15, 04:27 PM
Hi, sorry to intrude. Does anyone happen to know who's been poking around in the ruins over there? I thought it might be useful to have a chat with them?

We leave well alone. We're all too ignorant to try and wise enough not to want to.

He thinks Peridokles is one of those dumb enough to want to try

Every so often someone comes by and tries something. Sometimes we seem them again. Sometimes we don't - and we don't go looking. If you don't know the stories about that place I'll remind yah

wilphe
2020-12-15, 04:49 PM
I know some people know these stories; but not everyone, and there are different versions. This is his

At least you are not being charged 200GP for these

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0122.html

Tantalus was a son of Zeus. He decided he wanted to test the Gods so killed his son Pelops and served him to the Gods.

There is much shaking of heads and murmuring of disapproval

The Gods of course are wise and knowing and thus did not eat poor Pelops. All save gentle Demeter who was distracted at the time as Hades had just abducted her daughter Persephone and ate his shoulder.

In any case the Gods threw the evil Tantalus down into Tarterus and brought Pelops back to life. Poseidon taking him to Olympus, as he was an attractive youth, and trained him to drive the chariot of Helios

When mighty Zeus found out about this he banished Pelops from Olympus in horror at what had happened

Pelops travelled on earth and came to the country of King Oenomaus where he cast his eyes on his daughter Hippodamia and desired her for his wife. To do so he had to defeat the King in a chariot race - 18 before him had tried and failed and Oenomaus had taken their heads and nailed them to the columns of his palace for he was afraid of a prophecy that said he would be killed by his daughters husband

Esprit15
2020-12-16, 08:00 AM
”I didn’t hear anything about ladies,” she says with a glance to the Spartan, “but that could be interesting. Though we shouldn’t get too side tracked playing historian.”

Toliudar
2020-12-16, 02:58 PM
Philistion nods.

"I thank you, sir. If you can point me in the direction of Melissa, hers does sound like the most serious malady. I am committed to travelling with the these men, but if they allow me to linger, I would be pleased to see to the rest of your needs. If you are to be travelling to the city, and to a new life, then it would be well to do so on feet that aren't aching."

Philistion takes directions to Melissa, with whom he bows, and introduces himself again.

"After the great troubles your village has faced of late, the least that I can do is to ease the pain of your injury. May I take a look?"

If it doesn't seem like a supernatural injury, then Philistion will do his best to bandage the wound, offering words of advice about how to avoid irritating the site in the time of travel ahead.

From there, Philistion circles back to Bellos. Enchanted music could certainly explain how people could disappear without violence or previous disposition. Music stirred the blood, sometimes in healthy ways, but often in ways that deceived the body's natural inclinations. To Bellos, Philistion makes gentle inquiries.

"We are travelling on toward the village that has vanished, and I am inclined to believe that the music that you heard last night is connected. Could you tell me any more about what you heard? Was it a single voice, or many? A human voice, or something else altogether? High or low? Anything that you remember could be of some use."

Taking 10 on the heal check for 23.

Diplomacy with Bellos: 120+9

Aracor
2020-12-16, 03:34 PM
Mihail chuckles at the story of Tantalus. He'll wait until at least the majority of the villagers have walked away, and speaks in a low voice, to show no disrespect:
I have heard it said that Persephone actually went willingly to the realm of Hades, and Demeter was simply a mother who would not recognize that her daughter had grown up. If so, do you think Hecate's leading Demeter around could be a double-edged gift? A gift to Demeter of helping her recover her daughter, and also a gift to Hades and Persephone - a honeymoon free of Demeter?

If there are any Dresden Files fans here, that's where I'm blatantly stealing this from.
On a more serious note, it seems that what we don't know vastly outnumbers what we do. And it seems that mere force of arms, while it may eventually be needed, will take a second horse compared to actually unraveling this mystery in the first place. Does anyone among us have enough skill at tracking to determine if they just left, or something else happened? I'm an indifferent tracker at best. I know much of the natural world, and a smattering of many other subjects. I would still suggest the original plan: Spend the night here, and travel on early in the morning to have a whole day to explore. That will even give Philistion time to leverage his skills to help the people here.

He speaks even lower for the final point, trying to make sure that none of the villagers hear And while we may end up needing to look in the ruins, I would prefer we search the village first and exhaust every other option before doing so, as well as keeping knowledge of our exploration away from the villagers here if it ends up being necessary.

Togo
2020-12-16, 08:49 PM
Peridokles blinks. Well someone's been messing around over there. There's fresh blood on ancient stone, and the remains of candles. But if, as you say, that's a regular thing, maybe it's not related.

He pauses, and looks at the sky again. And speaking of the chariot of Helios, it's still racing. Are we stopping here for the night, or moving on?

remetagross
2020-12-18, 07:35 AM
Agoros listens intently to the villagers's tale.
"Well Mihail, I would agree with you. There is much data to be gathered here - maybe more to gain from these observations Peridokles just made." Speaking in a hushed tone, he carries on:
"And giving Philistion enough time to look after the villagers might help us earn their trust and entice them to speak a little more about all that happened."

That being said, the mercenary goes to the rock Philistion has been investigating, and thoroughly examines it.
"Traces of blood and candles, you say? This says "divine ritual" to me like few other things. It might be an innocuous sacrifice, it might be something else. Are we finding remains of other ritual items around here? Wine stains on the rock, ashes from a small fire or torch, or even footprints from a congregated circle around that rock?"

Agoros proceeds to look for these various clues.

Taking 20 on a Search check, result is 33.

DrK
2020-12-18, 04:02 PM

Hearing talk about blood being spilled and possible strange rituals the one eyed elf shakes his head. "I do not trust sorcerers, magic offers power without pain," he flexes his arms, "Strength is only gained through determination, and without constant sacrifice is lost as easily." Still mumbling to himself he paces after Agoros, spear in hand just in case anything untoward happens. Not keen to leave any otheri small party on their own when mysterious disappearances have been reported.

Condition
--- Trackless Step

Togo
2020-12-18, 06:21 PM
Peridokles watches Argos for a moment, and then steps forward.

if I might venture a suggestion? A radial search pattern is certainly thorough, but takes a great deal of time. If we employ a geometric approach, using these landmarks, things should proceed much more quickly. If I start here and head in this direction....

If Argos doesn't want to use the scholar's suggestion, Peridokles won't press. However, if he does, he gets a +4 (untyped bonus) to his search check.

Esprit15
2020-12-19, 08:40 AM
When Agoros mentions divine magic, Aegea steps over to him at the stone, and without another word to the group casts Detect Magic, her attention first on the general area, but then focusing on the stone.

She chuckles a little at Kleandridas. ”Magic is a tool and skill, just like any other.”

remetagross
2020-12-23, 05:23 PM
Agoros is surprised to be interrupted - but after listening to the perfumer's suggestion, he shrugs.

"Why not. I am not a scientist like you are, so let's go with your advice."

The mercenary then proceeds to search the rock the way Peridokles has intructed him to.

Search result is now 37.

wilphe
2020-12-28, 05:04 PM
"After the great troubles your village has faced of late, the least that I can do is to ease the pain of your injury. May I take a look?"

I can't pay ye so ye know

Melissa is an unremarkable and apparently taciturn woman in early middle age but she holds her arm out for examination. The injury itself is a cooking burn that looks to be a few days old. It's not infected, but certainly swollen and in danger of developing an infection. Philistion cleans it up, gives her something for the swelling and explains the importance of clean dressings. She nods her understanding and grunts her thanks

"We are travelling on toward the village that has vanished, and I am inclined to believe that the music that you heard last night is connected. Could you tell me any more about what you heard? Was it a single voice, or many? A human voice, or something else altogether? High or low? Anything that you remember could be of some use."

Bellos shrugs

Sounded female - or coulda been boys I spose. More than one of them.

Like I say - if you are that curious join me tonight

wilphe
2020-12-28, 05:09 PM
Well someone's been messing around over there. There's fresh blood on ancient stone, and the remains of candles. But if, as you say, that's a regular thing, maybe it's not related.

The elder nods

Once or twice a year - often when someone has looked at the stars and decided that they are "right". If you ask me there is never a right time to do that

wilphe
2020-12-28, 05:21 PM
The mercenary then proceeds to search the rock the way Peridokles has instructed him to.

Search result is now 37.

Apart from yourselves there only seems to be one recent set of tracks around the table - human. There was a heavy thunderstorm three days ago, so those footprints cannot be older than that. Which is also consistent with the condition of the most recent bloodstains and the remnants of the last burnt offering.

There is also a faint smell coming of one of the nearby pillars; Peridokles will recognise it as sulphur.

Further out from this immediate area there are some places where tracks seems a mess - imprints of hands and feet but in no kind of pattern or order. They don't seem to lead anywhere - they are just there in a couple of metre radius of walls or fallen pillars

wilphe
2020-12-28, 05:24 PM
Aegea gets the same information as Peridokles:

In the ruins there is a background hum of old and powerful magic - mostly tuned to Divination, Necromancy and Conjuration.

There are two spots of note. What appears to be an old grave with a flavour of Divination and an old stone table with a flavour of Divination and Conjuration. The latter also has recent bloodstains and the remains of some burnt offerings on and around it.

wilphe
2020-12-28, 05:26 PM
Still mumbling to himself he paces after Agoros, spear in hand just in case anything untoward happens. Not keen to leave any otheri small party on their own when mysterious disappearances have been reported.

There is no obvious threat to fight, so for the moment Kleandridas can only bide his time and stay watchful

Toliudar
2020-12-29, 02:58 AM
Philistion

Bellos shrugs

Sounded female - or coulda been boys I spose. More than one of them.

Like I say - if you are that curious join me tonight

Philistion nods.

"Thank you, Bellos. That sounds reasonable. Let me consult."

Trotting over to the group who have been chatting with the soldiers.

"A man of the village, Bellos, heard multiple voices, women or men, in the distance last night. Maenads, perhaps? This certainly could be tied to the mass disappearance. I'd recommend that we camp nearby and join Bellos tonight."

Esprit15
2020-12-29, 07:34 PM
Aegea gets the same information as Peridokles:

Aegea walks over to the tablet and picks it up to inspect more closely. ”Huh, Divination and Conjuration...” She walks over to the grave and looks at it more closely. If there is text, she asks for help. ”Would someone mind reading these to me? My family never taught us literacy like the settled people do.”

Aracor
2020-12-29, 07:44 PM
Mihail will walk up and read the text for Aegea.

wilphe
2021-01-01, 10:27 AM
I did say table not tablet right? But let's take this and run with it

Aegea scrapes off the table revealing some writing carved around the edge. Examining it Mihail doesn't recognise the alphabet it is written in; however Peridokles sees that it is Ancient Mycenean.

It only says

Wake me - and tell me thy plaint of dead men's hate intolerable

When no gods rouse themselves for vengeance - call on I

Togo
2021-01-03, 09:41 PM
Once Peridokles has finished translating, he says quietly over Aegea's shoulder.

Looks like someone has been trying to summon the vengeful dead. That looks really quite dangerous. I suspect we should leave it well alone.

wilphe
2021-01-05, 08:12 AM
So, you are leaving the ruins and going to join Bellos in the night watch or something else?

remetagross
2021-01-05, 05:16 PM
"Huh", says Agoros to Peridokles. "And that someone might well have succeeded. There is a mess of tracks around that rock", he says while indicating the area, "but they are not connected to any entering or leaving path of tracks. Either the way they have taken to come here has been swept clean or something, or they have just appeared and disappeared out and into nowhere.".

Taking a few watchful steps back, Agoros closes near Philistion.
"Your suggestion seems sensible, Philistion. I prefer facing enthralling voices than conjured dead spirits. Let us watch with Bellos tonight."

wilphe
2021-01-05, 06:10 PM
Having decided that while there are interesting things in the ruins of Ancient Mycenae they are not worth messing with whilst there is no evidence that they are in anyway connected with the immediate issue at hand the group returns to the village.

After eating the group rests early ready to join Bellos on his watch sometime around midnight

wilphe
2021-01-05, 06:21 PM
The moon is a few days off full but there is no cloud so it's quite easy to see.

Bellos takes you up to the rooftop of his house where there is a small pile of slingstones and rocks and a few torches and ready brands by a brazier containing slowly glowing charcoal.

He grunts, Fire's not for warmth nor light; so we just keep it alight see? Don't want to destroy your nightvision. It's there in case we need fire in a hurry for summat that fears it and I dont wanna to be fumbling with flint and tinder when that happens

Unless you've anything to prep or do; listen checks please

Togo
2021-01-05, 06:46 PM
Peridokles spends most of the evening talking softly to himself, reasoning through what he's seen and taking mental notes.

Listen [roll0]

Aracor
2021-01-05, 07:20 PM
Listen Check: [roll0]

remetagross
2021-01-06, 06:09 PM
Agoros takes place near Bellos, and takes advantage of the calm night to whisper a prayer to the Old One. His hearing has always been disastrous anyway, and the buzzes in his mind often break his concentration and makes it even harder for him to focus on exterior sounds.

Listen; [roll0]

wilphe
2021-01-07, 10:55 AM
Bellos [roll0]+8 Listen

wilphe
2021-01-07, 11:06 AM
There's the crunch on gravel as one of Jaraxe's unit occasionally shifts about whilst on sentry duty, otherwise it's really quiet.

It sure is quiet
Really quiet
Unnaturally quiet to the point of being almost unsettling
Wait, there is some singing in the mountains
Sounds female but maybe not human? Not any language you recognise

Bellos stares out into the mountains alert - he definitely heard something

wilphe
2021-01-07, 11:09 AM
So I think that is just Mihail and Klenadridas

DrK
2021-01-07, 01:49 PM

Kleandridas rises to his feet, spear in hand as he gazes up into the hills "Do you hear that? Unearthly singing from the hills." He looks up towards the slopes. Looking around and seeing Mikhail looking up, "WHere do you think its coming from, if we take the direction we can head there in the dawn light?"

Gazing out into the darkness, even with his one good eye, "Its not wise to traverse the wilds in the dark without those who are used to such things."

Condition
--- Trackless Step

Aracor
2021-01-07, 04:08 PM
I DO hear something! Singing...but I'm afraid I can't tell where it's actually coming from. It seems to be bouncing among the hills. Maybe if we listen for a while, we can understand it a bit more, or at least identify where it's coming from.

Esprit15
2021-01-07, 10:21 PM

Kleandridas rises to his feet, spear in hand as he gazes up into the hills "Do you hear that? Unearthly singing from the hills." He looks up towards the slopes. Looking around and seeing Mikhail looking up, "WHere do you think its coming from, if we take the direction we can head there in the dawn light?"

Gazing out into the darkness, even with his one good eye, "Its not wise to traverse the wilds in the dark without those who are used to such things."

Condition
--- Trackless Step

"You're an elf, old man," Aegea says, "surely your eyes aren't as weak as those of humans."

Toliudar
2021-01-07, 10:34 PM
Philistion

The young doctor strains to hear the singing, but then begins fumbling in his belt. He pulls out small bandages and hands them out to the others.

"I don't need to remind you that these voices may have drawn people to their doom. There will be a delicate balance between listening to find out what's out there, and not wanting to hear any more. When you reach that point, stuff these in your ears. It might help, it might not. It's worth a try."

DrK
2021-01-08, 04:54 PM

Kleandridas looks to Aegea with a hard gaze. "I see fine, my eyes are sharp as two of most mens. Its the other I worry, I don't want to spend the next 3 days tracking lost sheep through the hills." As he says the latter his eyes stray to the less obviously military minded members around the fire. "If you wish we can jounrey up now, but best pray for Artemis's blessing to help light our way."

As he glances at Philistion before taking the cloths and tucking them in the back of his helmet. "My thanks, What manner of beast would you think it is?". He pulls on his shield, and bangs it in place and checks the edge of the sword at his waist before nodding to Aegea and gesturing to the mountain path. "If you want to then lead on...."

Condition
--- Trackless Step

wilphe
2021-01-08, 06:12 PM
Probably not a Satyr - sounds femalish and there are no pipes
Could be a Harpy or OreadYou've heard of a type of singing fey that lives in fresh water - Rusakla or something? But they live amonst the Northern Barbarians where its colder

Esprit15
2021-01-09, 01:52 AM
”You said ‘Without those who are used to such things.’ Group’s got that in us, so let’s get a move on,” Aegea retorts, taking the lead.

“My ears aren’t quite picking it up, but if it’s singing in the mountains you’re hearing, it may be a harpy or an oread. Might also be a rusalka in a nearby lake. The latter are a type of fey, so... best to be on your most polite behavior, if so.” The elf gives a mischievous grin. “Our kin do after all tend to not live entirely alone, and we’ve already had other humanoids disappear in these mountains mysteriously.”

Togo
2021-01-09, 04:20 PM
Peridokles hauls himself to his feet.

Yes, nothing could be better than running around in the rocky hills looking to find something when we can't see.

He pauses and looks down at the bandages in his hands.

Or hear. Oh, we're going to have fun trying to keep together. I can save this for when whatever it is that I can't hear gets a bit louder, I suppose.

Despite his obvious discomfort of leaving the fire to go running around in the hills, he doesn't seem all that distressed by the idea.

wilphe
2021-01-10, 12:36 AM
I assume you are all going?

Good luck to yeh, you've more guts than I

With a near full moon it's easy to see where you are going, Berenice is in the rear with a very unhappy looking Breetha whilst Alkimos is sticking close to her and acting as rearguard.

The singing does seem to be getting nearer, whilst also coming from the direction of the pass to Argos. After about a mile out however the singing abruptly stops.

There is a rustling and a pattering over to your right, apparently moving faster than you and parallel. Several hundred yards off however, heading towards the pass

DrK
2021-01-10, 01:45 AM

The elf bounds from rock to rock, spear and shield in hand slightly crouched over as he runs freely up the mountain. To the others it's the first time Kleandridas has looked happy, the elf's shiny eye gleaming in the moonlight.

As the singing stops he raises the spear to signal a pause and turns to look at the others before scanning the horizon and the dark star lit peaks

"Strange to stop when so near. Be wary, ready your shields, it may be a trap."

Spot [roll0]
Listen [roll1]
Survival [roll2]
+ Rolls +4 Vs humans, +2 Vs magical beasts

Condition
--- Trackless Step

Esprit15
2021-01-10, 02:36 PM
Aegea pauses, and for once doesn’t tease the Spartan soldier. ”Remember that if they don’t fight, we don’t have to either. We’re the guests here, after all.”
Listen: [roll0]

remetagross
2021-01-10, 04:22 PM
Agoros was strolling around, amused to see Aegea and Kleandrikas exchanging quips, but the Spartan suddenly turns dead serious. The mercenary squints, trying to assess the surroundings, and cautiously raises his shield and his spear.

Aracor
2021-01-11, 04:57 PM
Mihail has no trouble seeing in the dark with his true Darkvision. He'll have his shield and sword both readied in case they're needed, and keep an eye out.

I agree with you, Aegea. Rusakla seems the most likely, though they normally live in colder climes.

Togo
2021-01-11, 06:46 PM
Peridokles can't really hear anything, or see all that well, but he's happy to stumble on, and offer advice should anyone think to ask him.

If anyone does discuss something with him, they'll get +4 to any int checks or int-based skill checks concerning that information.

wilphe
2021-01-12, 02:44 PM
Whatever that is, it has overtaken you and is continuing to head toward the pass

You pressing on or awaiting developments?

remetagross
2021-01-12, 03:29 PM
Pressing on warily!

Esprit15
2021-01-14, 07:51 AM
Aegea gives a shrug, before continuing onwards.

wilphe
2021-01-14, 04:15 PM
The group travels little more than 5 minutes more before in front of you you hear a light pattering sound abruptly drowned out by a terrified scream and then silence. Whatever that was happened about 400m in front of you

Toliudar
2021-01-14, 08:13 PM
Philistion

Relying on elvish eyes and the light from a starry sky, Philistion opts to take this moment to stuff gauze in both ears, just in case. Wincing at the regrettable necessity, he pulls a bow that is much larger than the bag it comes out of, and a quiver of slender arrows, out, and quickly slings the quiver over a shoulder.

"Oh dear."

Cautiously, he walks in the direction of the disturbance.

Blocking his ears, pulling out his bow and arrows.
Spot: [roll0]

Togo
2021-01-15, 10:52 AM
Peridokles starts at the scream, and then starts heading towards the sound, more swiftly than before. His eyebrows rise up at the sight of the bow. The good doctor has been hunting lions? Of course, when one from the elven tribes says they're not trained for war, that means something very different to the same statement from a human.

It strikes him, quite suddenly, that while everyone was carrying pointed weaponry of some kind, he had nothing. A sling, suitable for large game. Except no proper ammunition save for a a pouch of smooth stones he'd found on his journey. It worked much better with proper leaden shot, but they were expensive. And heavy. Armour similarly. Useful, of course, but so much easier to move around without it, that he'd left it at home. He did have a weight of lead in an old sock, in case someone tried to relieve him of a day's taking. At least he hadn't left that at home.

Home. If he wasn't back by next thursday to pay the rent on his little room, what would happen to it? Would anything bad happen if... he didn't return? Would anyone really care? Would they even notice?

His steps slow. Maybe. Maybe it would be better if he wasn't the first to arrive. Someone with a large axe or sword, and clad in metal plates could arrive before him. He could arrive second.

A vivid image of just such an axe, swung by a muscular warrior of impressive size, biting into his unprotected flesh, flashes across his mind.

Or he could arrive third? He keeps moving as a string of helpful diagrams blur through his head, showing angles of attack versus the optimal position he could stand in so as to best harm the enemy. They eventually settle on the mathematically optimal solution - him, right at the back, behind a tree. His likely contribution far outweighed by the chance that his lifeblood spraying from a mortal wound might temporarily distract someone competent.

Would it be better if he didn't arrive at all?

His steps falter and slow to a stop as the others rush on. Would it? Would they be genuinely be better off without some gabby perfumer hanging around, doling out crumbs of dubious wisdom like a retired fishwife? What use would he really be against, against...

What were they fighting again?

The spirits of the vengeful dead, come to consume their still beating hearts and drag them into underworld.

He starts moving forward again. Well, fine. Put it like that, maybe he could be some use after all. And it would certainly be an interest phenomenon to see. Although it did seem unfair that, here, in the scattered midst of Mycenae ruins, there were the restless dead in great profusion, just waiting to be controlled.

Two could play at that game, couldn't they?

Aiolos!

The spirit snaps into focus, a long slender Egyptian hunter, sandy coloured and spotted, sleek, and deadly to anything less than about four inches long. It is, in the manner of it's kind, licking itself, in an ungainly sprawl of fur and outstretched limbs. It drifts on as he moves, unbothered by the occasional bush or tree passing through its form. No matter, it was not like anyone else could see it anyway. A strictly private hallucination.

Get your head out of your crotch and listen. Are there dead people about?

Aiolos stares back, unblinking.

I mean living dead people. You know, spirits of the dead? Can you find some? Volunteers?

An ear flicks, then the creature arises and shivers, as if settling itself for an unpleasant task, before bounding into the night.

Aiolos glances at the others, realising he was drifting behind, and picks up the pace. An idea was gnawing at him. An axe striking into unprotected flesh. A spirit of the dead leaping in the way, having no fear for its own form. No, too sluggish.

And could the dead block an axe blade? What were the dead made of, really? He'd had a fascinating discussion on this back in Eleusis. Preparing for the great ceremony, on the surface, before they had gone down deep, into the dark. How had it gone? In the dead of night, after a long day's travel, could he remember?

Oh yes.
If the dead have form, and can act, if they can be restless and vengeful, then they must have a semblance of life. And for the dead to act as the living, to be one with the living, that semblance of life can not be in all ways different to that of life.

He settles into the rhythm of it, could see Ailos returning, herding vague forms before him. Thin, and vague, but numerous. And invisible, save to his sight.

And if that semblance of life is similar to life, then it must be possible for this life in death to become life in life. For death to bring forth new life, as Demeter brings forth...

He stumbles, a tree root hidden in the darkness tripping him up just as neatly as his near mention of... that name. This was no time to draw the attention of She Who Thirsts. Particularly if their quarry had revenge in mind. With haste he brings his scattered concentration back into focus, as the spirits of the dead arrive and start to drift around him, slow at first, but faster, and faster still.

Furthermore, if life can bring death then death must surely bring life, or else the world would be a bowl emptying out, and the signs all around us, like the bones of sea giants thrown up upon the shore. Combine these three observations with the unspoken mysteries of Elusis, of the Cthonian gods, and secrets of Nut and Geb, and let death bring life!. Let me dance against Nehkbet, just as you seek sanctuary against Babi, in this my flesh!

He shivers as icy forms start to flow into him, one by one in a steady stream. He grits his teeth as he feels his warmth gradually overwhelmed by the bitter cold of the grave, a bit more, he could take just a bit more... enough!. He exhales a breath he had not realised he was holding, and feels the spirits of the dead settle within him.

He picks up the pace, plucking from his sleeve a thin wand, this one tipped not with perfume, but with bronze. He moves with confidence now, the wand growing larger and heavier in his hand as he heads onwards, following the others.

Demeter is the goddess of summer, also associated with life, agriculture and corn

Eleusis is the site of the Elusian mysteries, probably the most famous secret ceremony in the Greek world, in honour of Demter, agriculture, and life more generally.

Nut and Geb are Egyptian, respectively the goddess of the sky and the god of the earth. They are responsible for life generally, and much of Egyptian mythology revolves around trying to prevent them having sex with each other any more than they have already.

Nehkbet and Babi are also both Egyptian. Nehkbet is the goddess of vultures, Babi the god of evil baboons.

Nehkbet devours the dying. You ward her off by dancing, to show that you are still alive.
Babi consumes the dead, including the spirits of the dead.

The Greek deities generally represent natural and cultural forces given a human face. Cthonic deities are... well 'dark gods' would be a good description, but 'not remotely human' would probably be more accurate.

Peridokles is practicing arcane necromancy, this case binding the spirits of the dead into his body for a period of time.

Peridokles has cast 'false life'.

Aracor
2021-01-15, 04:45 PM
Mihail will make sure he's near the front of the group. He takes advantage of his darkvision to doubletime through the terrain. He won't break silence. Not yet. But he is prepared to shout as soon as he sees anything moving.

Mihail also makes a hand signal in the direction the sound came from, expecting that Kleandridas at least will be right alongside him as they advance.

DrK
2021-01-16, 01:43 AM

Kleandridas bounds up the slope on long legs. He nods respectfully to Mikhail advancing alongside him, one good eye scanning the terrain.

Glancing over his shoulders at the others he'll nod to Aegea and mimic the hand signals of the goliisth to advance up the mountain

Condition
--- Trackless Step

Esprit15
2021-01-16, 08:12 AM
Aegea nods at the Spartan and quickly follows along. She draws her bow and pulls an arrow, though she suspected that both would soon be discarded on the ground.

wilphe
2021-01-16, 02:37 PM
Those at the front of the group crest a slight rise in the path that ordinarily you'd barely notice because it would hardly stop you seeing anything much above ground level. Except that all there is to see is at ground level - a huge carpet of feet and hands that look mostly humanoid in origin but with the odd paw and hoof.

They are jumping and flopping around a lightly armoured figure lying unmoving on the path, apparently concentrating around his wrists and ankles. As you arrive one of his feet detaches and joins the horde flopping about.

The prone figure looks to be dressed and equipped the same as the cavalry in the village - but without weapons

Esprit15
2021-01-16, 05:14 PM
”Well uh... I think we found one of the missing soldiers...” Aegea says, trying to make heads or tails of what she’s looking at. She nocks an arrow, and calls out to the mass of appendages. ”Do you speak?” First in Greek, then in Sylvan.

DrK
2021-01-17, 03:01 AM

Kleandridas pauses at the slight lip in the ground as he surveys the scene with the dancing feet and hands independent of any other bits of the body. "By the Gods, what has cursed these limb so...", glancing a the more magically entuned allies he shrugs and drops into a fighting stance beside Mikhail, a faint clang as his shield locks up beside the goliaths. His large and heavy spartan shield looking like a child beside the enormous metal wall Mikhail carried. Nodding to the goliath he murmurs, "As one?" waiting for the inevitable charge of the stomping and grasping limbs.

Condition
--- Trackless Step

Toliudar
2021-01-17, 04:24 PM
Philistion

The young doctor is silently appalled at the view spread out in front of them. He could only think about all of the poor people who had been the original possessors of those feet.

Knowledge check to learn anything she can about the strange agglutination of feet. +8 if Nature or Religion are the relevant knowledge [roll0]

Aracor
2021-01-18, 12:01 AM
As one. By Athena, what is that thing?

I'd also like to try to identify that...thing. Hopefully Peridokles is willing to discuss it with me.
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

wilphe
2021-01-18, 12:23 PM
This would be something that would explain the tracks back at Mycenae

Further out from this immediate area there are some places where tracks seems a mess - imprints of hands and feet but in no kind of pattern or order. They don't seem to lead anywhere - they are just there in a couple of metre radius of walls or fallen pillars

Also:

Atreus then learned of Thyestes' and Aerope's adultery and plotted revenge. He killed Thyestes' sons and cooked them, save their hands and feet. He served Thyestes his own sons and then taunted him with their hands and feet.

So logical this would cause a hand and foot based - whatever the hell this is; or someone created it inspired by this

For spirits - you cannot pin it down as they seem to be all around but only in rat sized spots that are apparently unintelligent but give off a vibe of pain and malevolence

That would also be explained by this

It's undead, but otherwise outside anything you've heard of and possibly unique

wilphe
2021-01-18, 12:38 PM
The Children of Thyestes does not respond to Aegea and in fact seems to be ignoring you entirely concentrating on making more of itself from the poor wretch before you

remetagross
2021-01-19, 07:07 AM
Agoros promptly locks shields with Aegea and Kleandrikas, looking with bewilderment at the grisly spectacle before them all.
"By the Ancients, what is this monstrosity?"

Toliudar
2021-01-19, 08:58 AM
Philistion sheepishly takes the gauze out of his ears, since the creature seems to be made of hands and feet, not mouths. His voice is high and tremulous.

"A cursed thing, neither alive nor resting peacefully in death. A reminder of a great evil, swollen to an even greater evil. I might be able to harm it, but would need to touch it to do so. An experiment I am, I admit, not overly eager to engage in. Sometimes, knowledge isn't worth the pain in gaining it."

remetagross
2021-01-19, 09:19 AM
Eying the physician's now clear ears, Agoros asks him without losing sight of the tangled mass of appendages before them:
"Whatever evilness is that...cannot have produced the singing we've all heard. Which means the singer...is still out there somewhere. Careful, everyone. Now, what should we do about that? I surmise once all four members of that soldiers are being taken care of...it will notice us."

Togo
2021-01-19, 02:40 PM
Peridokles speaks.

I don't know if that young man is still alive or not? But surely we should do something about these... things. I sense malevolence, and pain, but no more planning or consideration than rats would give to the direction of a vessel.

Esprit15
2021-01-19, 09:15 PM
”Then do so,” Aegea says, chilling force in her voice. “Half of you are Spartans, sons of Aires and victors of the war, and yet you quibble over whether to wrest this monstrosity from desecrating your comrades! Act!” As the draconic woman speaks, icy energy coalesces around the weapons of the party.
Standard Action
Inspire Courage, modified by Dragonfire Inspiration: Everyone gains 1d6 Ice damage to their attacks

Also, Aegea lacks a shield to lock up to

DrK
2021-01-20, 02:07 AM

As his weapons light up with cold blue Ice he nods thanks to Aegeas and looks at Mikhail, "Leap in, strike hard and retreat. Do not let yourself be surrounded."

When the swarm gets close, Spring attack - Move 20ft forward and retreat 20ft
- [roll0] Dam [roll1] + [roll2] cold

Condition
--- Trackless Step

remetagross
2021-01-20, 06:35 AM
Agoros looks with surprise at his spear, coated with a sparkling sheen of ice. Emboldened by Aegea's cry, he rushes forward after Kleandrikas.
"I am not a Spartan, and I am not as fast as Kleandrikas is, but I am not a coward either!"

The Macedonian stomps forwards, his spear ready, and promptly stabs through in the mass of writhing members.

Charge attack:
Attack roll [roll0] damage roll [roll1] plus cold [roll2]
AC is down to 15 for the remainder of the round.

Forgotten I was still fatigued after this morning's events, so I cannot charge. So that'll simply be a move action, then standard action attack. -2 to hit, +2 to AC. However, my sheet still had the penalties from being exhausted on it (didn't change that after Philistion's spell). The penalties to Str and Dex thus go from -6 to -2 only. So that's another +2 to hit and +2 to AC. All in all, my to-hit roll does not change, while my AC now stands at 19.

Aracor
2021-01-20, 03:39 PM
Mihail will charge in. I have no idea if this thing can be affected by the status effects, but it's worth a try.

For Athena!

Knowledge Devotion roll will be +1-+5 to all attack and damage rolls
[roll0] - This counts Peridokles's bonus and the Collector of Stories skill trick.
1-15: +1
16-25: +2
26-30: +3
31-35: +4
36+: +5

Charge the creature, and hit with a Shield Slam.
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]
And the creature needs to roll a DC 19 save vs daze if the attack hits. Generally, undead are not immune to the Daze status effect.

Modified 31 to hit, and 16 damage plus 5 cold damage.

Toliudar
2021-01-20, 05:52 PM
Philistion sighs, but is also swept up in the power of Aegea's words.

"But I don't think that swords will...oh well."

Stepping up, he fires a pair of arrows over the heads of his colleagues and into the carpet of extremities.

I thought that Phil cured Agoros' fatigue back at the temple.

Knowledge devotion: [roll0]

Bow shot 1:
Attack: [roll1] plus 2 from knowledge devotion
Piercing Damage: [roll2] plus 2 from knowledge devotion
Cold dmg from Dragonfire Inspiration: [roll3]

Bow shot 2:
Attack: [roll4] plus 2 from knowledge devotion
Piercing Damage: [roll5] plus 2 from knowledge devotion
Cold dmg from Dragonfire Inspiration: [roll6]

wilphe
2021-01-21, 10:37 PM
The Children of Thyestes doesn't respond to Aegea's song but it certainly reacts to being attacked, Kleandridas's blow is not telling and neither are Philistion's arrows though Agoros spears a couple and the cold seems to hurt it. Mihail scatters bodyparts before him severely disrupting it.

It reacts by having it's hands and feet move as one - in what you can't help viewing as a sick parody of a welldrilled Phalanx - stomping on the ground in a most unsettling manner before moving off away back the way it came.

Frightful Presence (Ex): DC13 if you have fewer than 5 hit dice. I think only Aegea from the PCs but there is +1 from inspire courage

[roll0] +5 Berenice
[roll1] +0 Breetha

Togo
2021-01-22, 03:06 PM
Peridokles look confused for a moment, but only a moment, before bursting into more poetry.

Dance! You who have woken the rosey-cheeked nymphs who dream beneath bark, to whirl and prance like new foals through your secluded glades! You who have seen growing men, strutting and nimble, practicing the art as each generation rises! You who bore testament to the dance of long lost Mycenae, in times past that we brief mortals call ancient, which to you is but a fleeting summer's memory. Will you see all that despoiled and dishonoured by this ungainly flopping, a sorcerous mockery of the true art, that steals away the very limbs by which honour is granted to you, that is your due? Ourae, grant to us your strength, your certainty, as we place our steps in Pyrrhic dance, in your honour. Let us act as your Kourtes, and cleanse you of this taint. For the greatness of your past can yet be found in times to come, let there be once more, sure-and-fleet footed, dance!

Peridokles is, yet again, calling on cthonic gods and spirits, rather than civilised deities. In this case the Ourae, the god or spirit, of this particular mountain
The Kourtes were the spirt-youths who guarded Zeus as an infant on Crete, by holding mock battles and dances in armour, the crashing of which served to drown out his cries.

Comparing the god of a mountain to Zeus himself is probably laying it on a bit thick, but then he is asking for a favour.
A Pyrric dance is a coming of age ceremony for young men, a stylised dance often conducted in armour, and involving a lot of crashing and noise. Peridokles is asking that the fight be seen as a dance in honour of the mountain, and thus receive it's blessing.

Rather than the more common approach of using dance to symbolise battle, he is using the battle the party is starting to symbolise dance, thus invoking protections around protection and sure-footedness - literally attempting to ward people's feet.

If this works at all, it probably won't work for long.

Peridokles is casting Foundation of Stone

Aegea, Kleandridas and Agoros all get +2 to AC and +2 to resist trip attempts. If this counts as mountainous terrain, then they instead get +6 to each. Whether this protection would also extend to keeping the feet on the end of one's legs is up to the GM.

He then, for reasons best known to himself, steps behind a small tree. The trees on the mountain aren't particularly thick or large, so he's still clearly visible on both sides of the trunk. He's also carrying a large stick that he didn't have before, bound with bronze at both ends, and with a little bronze cat's head carved into the bronze at one end.

DrK
2021-01-22, 04:06 PM

Kleandridas offers up Peridokles a low salute with his spear as his legs harden and take on a rocky apeparance. "No Spartan feet for you my friend!" he mutters under his breath before he gives chase leaping over the rocks to throw himself into the mass, shield smashing down on them having seen the effect of Mikhail's blow. As he charges he lets out a great Spartan war cry to inspire himself.

Charge PA for 2 shield bash [roll0] dam [roll1]

EFfects
Dragonfire inspiration +1d6 cold
Inspiration +1 vs fear
Foundation of Stone +2 AC / vs trips
Skirmish +2d6/+1 AC

Condition
--- Trackless Step

Esprit15
2021-01-22, 05:45 PM
”Well? After them!” Aegea shouts, breaking into a full sprint after the feet. “The Athenians ran across Marathon in armor, the least you can do is run keep pace with those feet!” As she catches up, she keeps going, intent on heading off the swarm of appendages from its apparent path.
Free action: Keep speaking
Full action: Run (40ft*4=160ft movement)

Toliudar
2021-01-22, 09:06 PM
Philistion holds his ground as the strange rug of extremities swarms away. He steps forward, arcing a couple of bowshots toward the beast.

5' step forward, then rapid shotting it while the cold damage lasts! I'm assuming it's now more than 110' away from Phil, and have assessed a -2 range penalty.
Shot 1 Attack [roll0]
Piercing damage [roll1]
Cold damage [roll2]

Shot 2 Attack [roll3]
Piercing damage [roll4]
Cold damage [roll5]

Aracor
2021-01-23, 02:31 PM
Mihail says a quick word about Hermes and rockets after the feet unnaturally fast and charges again.

Casts Swift Expeditious Retreat

Charge again.
[roll0]

[roll1] + [roll2]

wilphe
2021-01-24, 02:49 PM
Berenice 20
Philidokles 19
Mihail 18
Philistion 11
Alkomos 11
Child 9
Agoros 6
Aegea 4
Breetha 2

wilphe
2021-01-24, 03:04 PM
Seeing the monstrosity start to leave Berenice rushes forward to the prone and wounded soldier. Alkimos follows her; keeping himself between it and her. Breetha pauses, apparently weighing up getting closer or being left alone and cautiously moves up

Mihail rushes in and scatters more if it's members apart - it seems to lose cohesion and most of the appendages lose their animation as Aegea moves to cut it off. Philistion puts an arrow through one of the ones still jerking and Kleandridas knocks the unlife out a few more

And spot checks please

remetagross
2021-01-25, 04:05 AM
It's all that Agoros can do to run at top speed and keep up with the crawling monstrosity. He makes mental notes on the abilities everyone is displaying at the time, though.

Agoros runs circle around the Children of Thyestes to block its escape path.

Run: land speed *4 is 120ft. Since that's faster than the ennemy's 100ft, I'm using the remainder to circle round it and block off its escape.

DrK
2021-01-25, 04:50 PM

The elf looks at Mikhail, a savage snarl on his face as he sweeps about himself with spear and shield, "Pin them in place my friend. Whatever curse this may be we must destroy it before it can spread further and infect others." Jabbing and slamming down with his shield he seeks to end the vile and odd curse on the dismembered limbs.

TWF PA for 2 shield [roll0] dam [roll1] + [roll2] cold
TWF PA for 2 spear [roll3] dam [roll4] + [roll5] cold

Spot [roll6]

EFfects
Dragonfire inspiration +1d6 cold
Inspiration +1 vs fear
Foundation of Stone +2 AC / vs trips
Skirmish +2d6/+1 AC

Condition
--- Trackless Step

Aracor
2021-01-26, 02:54 PM
After his second strike, it seems like the...thing...is no longer moving. He keeps his guard up, and moves back to the soldier.

Is he awake? It would be very nice to have some answers.

DrK
2021-01-26, 04:34 PM

As the swarm stops moving he skewers a few more limbs and stamps on toes before looking to some of the others. "What do you think has caused such a creature?" staring around the mountain he glances at the feet and hands. "Hm, where are the rest of the bodies? Will we find a strange of heads and chests somewhere else?"

EFfects

Skirmish +2d6/+1 AC

Condition
--- Trackless Step

wilphe
2021-01-26, 04:55 PM
Berenice is next to the prone soldier with Aklimos standing over her and Breetha a bit further back

Philistion and Philidokles are about 20 feet behind that

Agoros, Kleandridas amd Mihail are 100 feet to the side of Berenice and Aegea is 20 feet back from that parallel to to the Two Phils

wilphe
2021-01-26, 05:15 PM
[roll0] +9
[roll1]

[roll2] +4
[roll3]

wilphe
2021-01-26, 05:28 PM
Breetha sees something in front of her further up the road and begins backing up in apparent terror towards Philistion and Philidokles. Berenice somehow manages to throw herself on top of the unconscious soldier and at the same time cast a spell.

Two arrows whip out of the darkness, one burying itself in the back of the soldiers knee the other nicking Berenices arm

Berenice casts Cure Minor Wounds

You are too far away to see what is firing at your comrades but somebody is - and they just hit

There are two winged humanoids about 15 feet in the air to either side of a tree 60 feet or so in front of the soldier and Berenice and therefore about 90 feet ahead of you. Both have bows, one just shot and one looks about to

Berenice 20 Acted
H1 19 Acted
Philidokles 19
Mihail 18
Philistion 11
Alkomos 11
Child 9 Dead
Agoros 6
H2 6
Kleandridas 6
Aegea 4
Breetha 2

Togo
2021-01-26, 06:32 PM
Peridokles leaps back, frantically scanning the sky until he sees the two winged figures. A moment of wordless calculation, and then...

Arete! He cries, We should tremble and turn away! For here are two among us whose form is so much greater than our own! It can not be denied that form defines function, and thus, those of a superior form must be superior in function. Logically speaking, a form with wings must superior to one without wings, and thus, by the same principle, a winged man must be superior to one who is not. The superior must over match the inferior, for that is its definition, and thus we must be doomed. We, who are base-born crawling things, can not set themselves against those who partake of the air itself, who through the majesty of their winged forms show us to be every inch their inferior. For how can a normal man, with a standard compliment of limbs, compare to those who soar like birds? All we can cling to is the futile hope that, like Niobe queen of Thebes, we might flee before their shining wrath, before they descend to earth to finish off our brief, inferior lives, awaiting like a chorus of Sirens, for them to show mercy or implacable wrath!

Arete is the Greek concept of 'virtue', encompassing physical as well as moral superiority. Peridokles is referencing the same concept, in arguing that because they have wings they must be inherently superior to mere men in every way, but there's definitely something logically amiss in what he's saying.
Sirens are creatures with beautiful voices that lure sailors onto rocks so they can devour them.

Niobe died through her hubris - during a ceremony to the goddess Leto, mother of Apollo and Artemis, she announced she was herself by far the better woman, since she had more children. Leto then sent her two children to kill her entire family with arrows. This is such a famous story that Peridokles must be deliberately twisting it, but there is something strangely compelling about his words.

In almost everything else he does, whether selling perfume, or chatting in the market or roaming around the hills, Peridokles is a little awkward, a little out of place. When selling a blatant distortion and outrageous flattery like this, however, he doesn't seem awkward at all...

Peridokles is casting Delusions of Grandeur on one of the flying creatures, Will save DC 17

As well as casting a spell, Peridokles is also trying to flatter them into landing when they don't really need to. Whether that's possible, or whether Peridokles has time to do that this round, is purely a GM call. If applicable Bluff [roll0]

remetagross
2021-01-27, 05:28 AM
"What the Tartarus - this is not over!" Agoros shouts at Kleandrikas and Mihail by his side.
Are we sure this monster is out of combat? We need to move back and defend them!

The Macedonian rushes back to the women at top speed to ascertain what is going on and provide support.

Full-round action to run at x4 land speed to a position adjacent to Berenice if possible. Agoros's initiative turn is not up yet so if that makes a difference only take that into account when Mihail and Philistion have posted.

Toliudar
2021-01-27, 12:28 PM
Oh, I really should have left those earplugs in. And what is Peridokles yammering on about?

Dispassionately, he notes that Berenice has some healing gifts in her, perhaps thanks to her association with the temple. He supposed that he should have assumed that. Well, they'd need all that they could get.

Philistion takes another careful step towards the wounded soldier.

"Please, stay low! I will help as soon as I'm able."

Fighting a rising panic, Phlistion launches a pair of arrows at the winged figure that Peridokles is NOT talking to.

5' step toward the soldier.
Not an action: Knowledge devotion to identify the winged figures: [roll0], +8 if Religion or Nature is the appropriate knowledge skill
Full round action: Rapid shot the winged figure:
Attack 1 [roll1] + knowledge devotion, probably +1
Damage 1 [roll2] + knowledge devotion, probably +1
Attack 2 [roll3] + knowledge devotion, probably +1
Damage 2 [roll4] + knowledge devotion, probably +1

Aracor
2021-01-27, 02:22 PM
By Hera! They drew us off!
After Mihail's shield crushes the small swarm of hands and feet, he immediately charges back the way he came, nearly as fast as he came this direction, though without a target he doesn't launch an attack at the end.

Mihail takes a Run action and shoots back the way he came. He gets within 20 feet of where he started, and tries to angle himself to go toward the source of the arrow if possible.

wilphe
2021-01-28, 06:32 PM
[roll0] Will Save +6 DC17

wilphe
2021-01-28, 06:49 PM
The one that has already shot seems to embrace Peridokles flattery, the other gets struck by both of Philistion's arrows and gives a bird like screech of pain

Yes. Cower before your new masters groundlings.

Mihail runs towards the source of the shooting whilst Agoros takes a position in front of Berenice and Alkimos steps forward next to him in a defensive position

The wounded harpy throws back its head and begins to sing

This is similar to the sound you heard earlier

When a harpy sings, all creatures (other than harpies) within a 300-foot spread must succeed on a DC 16 Will save or become captivated. This is a sonic mind-affecting charm effect. A creature that successfully saves cannot be affected again by the same harpy’s song for 24 hours. The save DC is Charisma-based.

A captivated victim walks toward the harpy, taking the most direct route available. If the path leads into a dangerous area (through flame, off a cliff, or the like), that creature gets a second saving throw. Captivated creatures can take no actions other than to defend themselves. (Thus, a fighter cannot run away or attack but takes no defensive penalties.) A victim within 5 feet of the harpy stands there and offers no resistance to the monster’s attacks. The effect continues for as long as the harpy sings and for 1 round thereafter. A bard’s countersong ability allows the captivated creature to attempt a new Will save

Kleandridas and Aegea up

Toliudar
2021-01-28, 08:10 PM
Philistion will save vs the injured harpy: [roll0]

DrK
2021-01-29, 05:27 PM

Kleandridas spins around,"Posideon's shelled c***" he swears, as he follows Mikhail, the elf's long legs outstripping the goliath as he dashes back towards the harpies, spear clutched in his hand and excitement in his chest. Seeing the winged creatures he bellows a wordless challenge to them

EFfects

Skirmish +2d6/+1 AC

Condition
--- Trackless Step

Esprit15
2021-01-29, 09:49 PM
Aegea scoffs. ”Ladies, we’re eating bird tonight. Shut those fowl cries out of your mind,” she says, emphasizing her own pun that totally exists in Greek as well don’t look it up just trust me. ”Draw your slings and arrows, before our quarry takes wing!”
Reminder that inspire courage grants a +1 to your save against charm
Move 40ft closer to the Harpy
Draw and release a shot from her bow
Attack: [roll0] Crit on Natural 20
If crit: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2] + [roll3] Cold
If crit: +[roll4]

wilphe
2021-01-30, 03:11 PM
Kleandridas moves up and challenges the new foes whilst Aegea sends an arrow towards the first, a discordant screech giving evidence that it found its mark.

Breetha has gone from backing up slowly to staring captivated at the second harpy and walking slowly towards it

Berenice stays where she is but is grabbing the bandages Philistion handed out and trying to wrap them in and around her ears

The first harpy moves off to your right, apparently trying to get a clear shot around those standing between itself and the soldier and also throws back its head and begins to sing

Harpy 1 is now 15 feet off the ground 60 feet to the right of the main group

Another DC16 will save please for everyone

Philistion and Agoros are captivated by the second harpy

Philidokles and Mihail can go if they make their save

DrK
2021-01-31, 02:36 AM

As he see's the second one flying into the air he eyes the low flying harpy and the length of the massive long spear he continues to race forwards and leaps upwards, seeking to pierce its chest. He cries out a great shout of "ARES!! BLOOD FOR THE LORD OF WAR..." trying to drown out the noise from the winged beasts

Move and jump, need DC20 jump check to get 5ft up to get the 10ft reach in range [roll0]

Attack (PA2) [roll1] dam [roll2] + [roll3] skirmish

EFfects

Skirmish +2d6/+1 AC

Condition
--- Trackless Step

Togo
2021-02-01, 08:50 AM
Peridokles starts pacing in a circle, talking to himself, even faster, as if trying convince himself of an unlikely proposition.

So consider then yon warrior, who stands by all accounts at an impressive, say, five cubits high. How do we know? Why, because we can measure him. That is we can stand five cubits, or something close to that, in his place and see that the heights are the same. Which is fine for practical estimation, but in fact the estimate is likely to be inaccurate. Why? Because the measuring stick can not be placed in his place. He is occupying it. It can only be placed near him.

So there is an error, we must correct for. But is this a strange error or a commonplace one? We must take the evidence our senses, and adjustment, if only a little, to get the result we logically know must be there. But is such an adjustment legitimate? We must consider it is, or else measurement itself becomes impossible. And there is, perhaps surprisingly, a chorus of agreement on this subject. From Hera****us, who complains that eyes are "bad witnesses" that must be interpreted to be understood, through to Epicharmus, and his claim that eyes are blind, and only the soul can see. We must follow the example of Empidokles, who cites the poems of Parmenides, where the goddess says that we must ignore the aimless eye and echoing ear, and judge by reason alone. Even Hippcrates chimes in on this point in On Art, that the cause of disease must be uncovered not by the sight of the eyes, but by the sight of the mind. Melissus... has more to say but we can leave his reasoning to one side, for that way shadows lie.

So we are agreed that our estimates may be out. Our warrior may be six cubits, or even seven. Too high? Perhaps, but perhaps not. We must go with logic in this case, and logic tells us that we are likely to underestimate his height. Our measurement must be made in front of the warrior, for if it was made behind then the result would be obscured. By placing the measurement in front we push our warrior further away from our sight, and by making it from below, for I am the witness, and not nearly seven cubits high, we push him further still, until we must take quite seriously the idea that our estimate of height is misjudged. And of course, we have not, in point of bare fact, made any such measurement, and thus we are relying on an initial estimate only. It thus logically most likely that our warrior is comfortably seven cubits high, based solely on the observation that he looks about five. Our situation is thus not as dangerous as it first appears, for he should be able to reach our enemies with ease.

One cubit is about 1.5 feet.

On Art is a recently published text by Hippocrates, the most famous doctor ever.

These are all fairly standard philosophers, most of them (apart from Hera****us and the poet Parmenides) still alive and well known. Peridokles is arguing that perception is a kind of thought, and thus thought is a form of perception, and thus reason must be held more accurate than perception. This is a popular and uncontroversial position supported by philosophers of the day. The argument does have a few flaws that Democritus will point out in about 25 years time. Peridokles' follow on from it, that if perception is inherently unreliable, then size must be mutable, is bit more unusual.

Melissus argued that perception and reason conflicted with each other, and that the only way to resolve this with through monism - to argue that both what we perceive to be the case and what we reason must be the case, are both aspects of a single reality, presumably quite a strange one.

Peridokles seems to dislike this idea.

Peridokles is casting enlarge person

Aracor
2021-02-01, 02:32 PM
Mihail will say the same word again, beseeching Hermes for speed.

Casts Swift Expeditious Retreat

With his speed enhanced once again, Mihail launches himself at the harpy whose song has transfixed Agoros and Philistion. His heritage allows him to leap more effectively than his size would suggest.
[roll0] vs DC 28 to get a high enough leap to strike at the harpy herself.

Knowledge: Nature roll for Monstrous Humanoids - Knowledge Devotion: [roll1] to give bonuses to attack and damage.

Charge attack: [roll2] + knowledge devotion
Critical Confirmation: [roll3]

Damage: [roll4] + [roll5] Ice damage + knowledge devotion
Critical damage: [roll6]

Shield Charge trip attempt: [roll7]
Shield Slam DC 19 fortitude save vs Daze

Cool! Jump check successful, trip check sucked. But maybe between that and the daze I'll have a chance to drop her out of the sky, too.
Modified roll of 28 to hit, and 22 damage plus 5 cold damage.

wilphe
2021-02-01, 09:54 PM
Peridokles spell dies in his throat as he becomes captivated by the harmonies of the first harpy's song. Mihail is however unaffected and slams the second harpy from the sky knocking it lifeless to the ground. Alkimos sends a slingstone at the remaining harpy glancing painfully off it's knee and Kleandridas sinks his spear through its abdomen.

It gives a terrifying gurgle and collapses to the ground.

The sudden silence is almost deafening. Those affected by the Harpy's song regain their composure.

remetagross
2021-02-02, 05:14 AM
Agoros shakes his head off, his mind now clean of influence. He remains silent for a moment, ascertaining his surroundings and registering all that had just happened. He looks at the dead harpies, then at Mihail, Alkimos and Kleandrikas, then at the harpies again. He pokes at one corpse with his sarissa.
"...by the Lord of Titans, I must thank you all. I suppose these were the fascinating songs that were heard in night these days - weren't they?" He looks around for confirmation from the villager they have followed. Immediately after, though, he remembers how careless they all were after having defeated the Children of Thyestes and thinking the deed had been done. He snaps back in alert.
"All, maybe there is a third group ambushing us somewhere. This might not be over. Does anyone perceive something else?"

Listen/spot checks: [roll0], [roll1]

Esprit15
2021-02-02, 05:21 PM
Aegea shakes her head, the brief moment of bewitchment now gone. ”I would not call them fascinating,” she grumbles.

DrK
2021-02-03, 01:58 AM

Kleandridas shouts a great "U-Rah" as the two harpies are swatted out the air by shield and spear. He jabs it once more to make sure it's dead. "Victory by the Gods, where did they come from."

He looks around the party, "Is anyone injured? Do we all have our feet still attached?"

EFfects

Skirmish +2d6/+1 AC

Condition
--- Trackless Step

Toliudar
2021-02-03, 01:36 PM
Philistion

The doctor shakes his head as the strange compulsion dies with the harpy.

"That was...I was...huh."

There were huge implications regarding the future study of the effects of sound on the workings of the mind, and he had so many notes to take later.

"I'd, um, like to examine those winged creatures. Later."

Darting back to pick up his bow and slide it back into his bag, he jogs over to the soldier who had been engulfed by the hand/foot monstrosity.

"May I take a look? Where does it hurt?"

Heal checks all around! [roll0]