PDA

View Full Version : Buck Godot, Zap Gun for Hire

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Gez
2007-11-13, 06:55 AM
Would you rather hire a zap gun or an oracle? :smallbiggrin:

I like this comic (http://www.studiofoglio.com/buck.html). Great cartoony art (what else could you expect from Foglio?), funky universe that feels a bit like sci-fi from the 70's, and an anti-hero named Godot. Godot. What's not to love?

In the current arc, he's on the run from a "T.N." -- I'm getting the idea that the only thing he's trying to avoid is something uncomfortable but ultimately innocuous, like maybe some medical exam or something.

Vondre
2007-11-13, 07:37 AM
I've been keeping up with Buck ever since I started reading Girl Genius, and during the last storyline I was waiting for updates on Buck with as much anticipation as I had for GG.

The Foglios are amazing.

On a slightly different part of the same topic, the art for the current arc of Buck seems a lot... cleaner than the others did. Did he draw this much later?

Surfing HalfOrc
2007-11-13, 07:40 AM
On a slightly different part of the same topic, the art for the current arc of Buck seems a lot... cleaner than the others did. Did he draw this much later?

I think so. The first two came out sometime in the late 1980's, I think. I remember buying them when I was stationed in Hawaii (for the first time), and that was between 1988-1991. I always kept my eyes open for more Buck Godot graphic novels, but never came across any.

Tekraen
2007-11-13, 11:53 AM
Just what I need, another pair of comics to read.

See you all tomorrow. ;)

Porthos
2007-11-13, 08:42 PM
In the current arc, he's on the run from a "T.N." -- I'm getting the idea that the only thing he's trying to avoid is something uncomfortable but ultimately innocuous, like maybe some medical exam or something.

Heh, heh, heh.* :smallamused:

I've been keeping up with Buck ever since I started reading Girl Genius, and during the last storyline I was waiting for updates on Buck with as much anticipation as I had for GG.

The Foglios are amazing.

As much as I am a fan of GG, I am much more of a fan of Buck Godot. I've been following his adventures for almost 20 years now. I just hope and pray that the Buck Godot reprints sell enough that Phil & Kaja (and Cheyenne too :smallwink: ) will deign to make more Godot when this mammoth plot line finishes up.

To answer your question, however, the original four short stories (including a PG-13 one that takes place between the end of this strip (http://www.studiofoglio.com/cgi/buck.cgi?date=20070120) and the beginning of this one (http://www.studiofoglio.com/cgi/buck.cgi?date=20070123) that hasn't been put online yet - Bad Foglios! :smallyuk: ) were done from 1980 - 85.

The PSmIth storyline was a Graphic Novel that was released in 1987.

The current storyline (called The Gallimaufry) was released as eight black and white comics from 1993 through 1998.

Unlike the first collection, which also started out as a B/W comic and then colorized when it was collected in Graphic Novel form, The Gallimaufry was never made in color. So when the Foglios got around to putting it online, it was colorized by Cheyenne Wright via computer.

So not only are the line drawings clearer, as one would expect after years of improvement, the coloring looks radically different, because it was done radically differently. :smallbiggrin:

* NOTE: I'm not saying if you're right or wrong, BTW. It's just that I can't pass up an opportunity to do a Dr. Helen "Gene Dicer" Narbon (http://www.webcomicsnation.com/shaenongarrity/narbonic/series.php?view=archive&chapter=9834) chuckle. :smallamused:

Midnight Lurker
2007-11-14, 01:21 AM
I was planning to stop reading the web-Godot when they got to this point, as I already have the complete Gallimaufry.

Then those sneaky devils went and colorized it! :smallamused:

henebry
2007-11-16, 05:21 PM
The next-to-last panel from yesterday's strip (http://www.studiofoglio.com/cgi/buck.cgi?date=20071113) steals beautifully from a classic image of Pooh dangling from a balloon:
http://www.msu.edu/user/steinbr1/pooh/images/classic/pooh74.gif

I'm not sure why, exactly, but somehow one of the great pleasures of reading comics is recognizing the visual references with which artists give a tip of the hat to one another.

Mask
2007-11-16, 10:01 PM
I really do enjoy Buck a lot more than GG at the moment. Girl Genius has it moments, but as of late I've started to find the storyline somewhat predicable and with a bit too much focus on bombastic storyarcs and showing off tech and sprakyness to a degree that makes all such occurances truly unremarkable. The Coffie-scene was a nice change of pace but, alas, it ended all too soon.

Buck, on the other hand, goes in the completley opposite direction as far as my esteem goes. I get the impression that Buck is where Phil Foglio sat down and had fun as a writer, whereas GG is more to satisfy his needs as an artist.
Buck Godot, as a comic, is fun, fast-paced, fairly unpredicable and finishes off with a lot of good visual gags every now and then. Also, the main character is a fat hoffamanite, so we're somewhat spared Phil foglios somewhat unsettleing tendencies to draw all females perky and scantly-clad every time Kaja isn't there to keep him in check. :)

Well, yes, but I think much of the credit should be given to Kaalberg, Shulbert and Wright(the inker, letterer and colorer). Overall, Foglio benefits a lot from having someone else ink his works, for various reasons. Firstly, he's not very good at doing those things himself, and secondly, a good inker can remedy flaws an scetchyness in the original strips. And Foglio does make comics with a lot of scetchyness in them, even when he inks stuff himself.

As another example I can point to the prologue to Girl Genius, in black and white, which I still consider to be the most consistingly awsome-looking part of GG since. Had Foglio used an inker and a colorist(some bits of GG are just awfully coloured) for the rest of GG it would have been a much, much better-looking comic.

Gez
2007-11-21, 09:30 AM
Heh, heh, heh.* :smallamused:

Okay, they're notifiers. What is annoying though not life-threatening that trying to escape, while understandable, is frowned upon by the only local beacon of law, and that begins by T? Tax? :smallwink:

Occasional Sage
2007-11-21, 09:53 AM
Okay, they're notifiers. What is annoying though not life-threatening that trying to escape, while understandable, is frowned upon by the only local beacon of law, and that begins by T? Tax? :smallwink:

No laws make taxes tough to enforce.

I got nothin'.

Surfing HalfOrc
2007-11-21, 09:56 AM
Buck looks to be about 40 years old. Time for the first prostate exam?

:smalleek:

Midnight Lurker
2007-11-21, 12:15 PM
Ah, but New Hong Kong does have rules. :smallwink:

Porthos
2007-11-29, 03:11 AM
A couple of things. :smallsmile:

First off, people should probably update their bookmarks to either:

www.zapgunforhire.com
or
http://www.airshipentertainment.com/buckcomic.php (which is the new direct link)

Secondly, this part of the storyline might not make as much sense as it should. You see, the Foglios still haven't gotten around to putting up the PG-13 story that was part of the first Graphic Novel compilation that introduced Louisa Dem Five. She was seen in this short story (http://www.airshipentertainment.com/buckcomic.php?date=20070210), but it wasn't her character introduction, nor did it really go into her character motivation very much.

Now some of what she does is pretty evident from these couple of strips we've just seen, but I might as well bring everyone up to speed. :smallsmile:

Louisa Dem Five is the owner of the Velvet Fist, which is indeed a brothel. She is also Buck's best friend. Without going into too much detail, Louisa wasn't always this, shall we say, carefree. But after running into Buck Godot on New Hong Kong, her life very quickly changed. As for Buck, he actually never ever goes to the Velvet Fist for pleasure. Partially, because as a Heavy Worlder he finds the women at the Velvet Fist unattractive (and brittle :smallwink: ). But mostly he's concerned that his steady girlfriend would do.... bad things to him if she ever found out he was cheating on her. :smallbiggrin:

Also, Louisa is absolutely no shrinking violet when it comes to violence. But then, who is on New Hong Kong. :smallwink:

Anyway, a lot of this will be self-evident, or will be brought up in the actual comics to come. But I thought I should try to bring some character background, without actually running the story that hasn't been put up yet. Just on the off chance that they actually get around to putting it up. :smallsmile:

bigbearbri
2007-12-04, 07:52 AM
* NOTE: I'm not saying if you're right or wrong, BTW. It's just that I can't pass up an opportunity to do a Dr. Helen "Gene Dicer" Narbon (http://www.webcomicsnation.com/shaenongarrity/narbonic/series.php?view=archive&chapter=9834) chuckle. :smallamused:

DARNIT!!!!! I had almost caught up with all the webtoons I like looking at, and here you introduce another that looks interesting.

Talk about Evil.

Archpaladin Zousha
2007-12-05, 11:21 AM
I discovered this shortly after The Giant reccomended Girl Genius. Since then, I've come to like Godot even better. While Girl Genius is at a tense moment, I'd like it to hit the climax soon so we can move on to the next story arc. And I don't get that one day they put up some Agatha Heterodyne pin-up art instead of the next page. I want to find out what happens next, not stare at a picture of the protagonist in a diaphanous dress pouring coffee with a disturbingly "come-hither" look.:smallannoyed:

Gez
2007-12-05, 01:02 PM
I discovered this shortly after The Giant reccomended Girl Genius. Since then, I've come to like Godot even better. While Girl Genius is at a tense moment, I'd like it to hit the climax soon so we can move on to the next story arc. And I don't get that one day they put up some Agatha Heterodyne pin-up art instead of the next page. I want to find out what happens next, not stare at a picture of the protagonist in a diaphanous dress pouring coffee with a disturbingly "come-hither" look.:smallannoyed:
To be fair, that has happened maybe twice in the whole run.

Tekraen
2007-12-05, 01:07 PM
Is it just me, or does the imaginary voice of Asteroid Al sound like Gilbert Godfried?

Because to me, he does.

Archpaladin Zousha
2007-12-06, 12:20 AM
That never crossed my mind until you mentioned it, but now that I think about it, you're right! He'd be perfect! But who'd voice Buck? Or Lou?

Tekraen
2007-12-06, 09:24 AM
That never crossed my mind until you mentioned it, but now that I think about it, you're right! He'd be perfect! But who'd voice Buck? Or Lou?

I think a currently-unknown would be the best at voicing Buck. I don't have a celebrity voice in my head for him yet; but I think that'll change. Lou, on the other hand...I haven't seen her in the strip enough to give her a voice, so probably by the time they get onto the Gallimaufry I'll have a better idea.

Mewtarthio
2007-12-06, 09:54 AM
You know, I'm starting to suspect that the "T" doesn't actually matter to these guys. It's New Hong Kong; they wouldn't report for it anyway. The people just think it's fun to avoid the TN for sport and brag about their records.

Tekraen
2007-12-06, 02:48 PM
You know, I'm starting to suspect that the "T" doesn't actually matter to these guys. It's New Hong Kong; they wouldn't report for it anyway. The people just think it's fun to avoid the TN for sport and brag about their records.

That would fit with the rules, wouldn't it? A global betting pool on how long someone can outrun the notifier for something ultimately worthless.

edit: In other news, I'm assuming the new voice is going to be his steady girlfriend, who will then obliterate the messenger while yelling at Godot who's in a compromising situation as it is.

I tried really hard to avoid the 'caught with his pants down' pun.

Surfing HalfOrc
2007-12-06, 04:16 PM
So, what is the Notifier notifying about? (If you've read the comic already, don't just give away the answer. That defeats the purpose of speculation!)

I though Buck might be up for his prostate exam, he looks about 40. But that would be either P.N. or M.N. (Medical Notifier)

Tax Notifier? (Yeah, right! In New Hong Kong?)
What else?

Gez
2007-12-06, 04:33 PM
What else?

Termination Notifier.

"Mr Godot, you are hereby notified to report for termination at Soylent Green factory #x85 before tomorrow. Failure to do so will result in new notification next month."

Nah. Must be something else. :smalltongue:

sihnfahl
2007-12-11, 11:10 AM
Wahahahahah!

Oh, GODS, what an OUTFIT.

thorgrim29
2007-12-20, 12:37 AM
Buck is 49 actually....

Midnight Lurker
2007-12-22, 01:10 AM
Ever since the original publication of The Gallimaufry #1, in which today's page (http://www.airshipentertainment.com/buckcomic.php?date=20071222) appears, I have been proud to call myself a militant agnostic.

I don't carry it to the lengths that the Slag-Blah do, mind you, but the basic sentiment is firm in my heart. :smallamused:

Porthos
2007-12-22, 01:32 AM
Ever since the original publication of The Gallimaufry #1, in which today's page (http://www.airshipentertainment.com/buckcomic.php?date=20071222) appears, I have been proud to call myself a militant agnostic.

I don't carry it to the lengths that the Slag-Blah do, mind you, but the basic sentiment is firm in my heart. :smallamused:

All Hail the Winslow!! :smallbiggrin:

Midnight Lurker
2007-12-29, 02:34 AM
Without spoiling much, I'll just say that those of you who don't know what a T.N. is have not much more time before it's revealed. Last chance for wild guesses, folks! :smalltongue:

Gez
2007-12-29, 04:35 AM
They are Tenacious Notifiers. :smallbiggrin:

Porthos
2007-12-31, 04:38 PM
Anyone else got any last minute guesses? :smalltongue:

MadBomber80
2007-12-31, 09:22 PM
Just a guess, but I think that The Notifier is supposed to notify the person that they are the new The Notifier. Basically, passing the buck in a never ending game of Tag.

dakiwiboid
2008-01-01, 05:44 PM
Poor Buck! "What's the time on a round trip to the Gallimaufry?":smallbiggrin:

Porthos
2008-01-01, 06:04 PM
Tax Notifier? (Yeah, right! In New Hong Kong?)

http://www.airshipentertainment.com/buckcomic.php?date=20080101

If only you had listened to your instincts! :smalltongue:

Just a guess, but I think that The Notifier is supposed to notify the person that they are the new The Notifier. Basically, passing the buck in a never ending game of Tag.

Ohhhh close, but no cigar. Still, I could see why you came up with that one. :smallsmile:

And thus ends Issue #1. Seven more (more or less the same size) to go.

Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins
2008-01-01, 06:10 PM
Oooooo, that's cold.

Vondre
2008-01-01, 08:42 PM
That really is. Of course, Buck's got nobody to blame except himself. Sort of a poetic justice - his attempt to escape earns him a tougher "sentence." Poor Buck.

Gez
2008-01-04, 10:28 AM
Well, it seems we were all right, in a way. They are tax notifiers. They are especially tenacious. It does kinda work in a "tag, you're it" way since when Godot will go pay his taxes he'll be it and assigned a target to notify. And paying taxes is an uncomfortable but ultimately innocuous thing (unless you need to sell your organs to pay them, I suppose). :smallbiggrin:

Given the target you get depends on how long you take to go report, I guess that Lou's T.N. camped right outside Central Hall on the eve of his own T.N. day. :smallwink:

Midnight Lurker
2008-01-05, 01:19 AM
I don't think they are necessarily assigned a T.N. job as part of their taxes. It's just that Buck was judged a sufficiently hard target that he counted as something taxworthy. :)

Midnight Lurker
2008-01-29, 12:10 AM
And in today's comic we meet Ettarre Cabell, whose name is perhaps the most delightfully obscure reference the Foglios have ever thrown at us.

slayerx
2008-01-29, 05:30 PM
Only recent read through Buck Godot, but gotta say it IS an awesome comic... grant it, i can't help but think i might be missing a thing or two since i never read what's not in webcomic form... Like what is a Hoffmanite; really, i just thought Buck was just really big... it's interesting that we are learning a thing or two about them though the webcomics never mentioned them before i don't think; had to look it up on Wiki to find out that they are Humans that adapted to High Gravity environments

thorgrim29
2008-01-29, 06:32 PM
It's a reference, what? Throw me a bone out here.

Porthos
2008-01-29, 06:39 PM
Only recent read through Buck Godot, but gotta say it IS an awesome comic... grant it, i can't help but think i might be missing a thing or two since i never read what's not in webcomic form... Like what is a Hoffmanite; really, i just thought Buck was just really big... it's interesting that we are learning a thing or two about them though the webcomics never mentioned them before i don't think; had to look it up on Wiki to find out that they are Humans that adapted to High Gravity environments

You're not missing that much. :smallsmile: Indeed, you can pretty much guess everything as it becomes important.

The only things that are missing from the webcomic (aside from a "naughty" short story) is background material that was printed in the trade paperbacks. They were essays about the Buck Godot Universe that gave some background material to what was going on. Thankfully the Foglios have been reproducing the "essays" that were apart of the Gallimaufry comic book series. (the first one is here (http://www.airshipentertainment.com/buckcomic.php?date=20071018) and the second one can be found here (http://www.airshipentertainment.com/buckcomic.php?date=20080103)

However, just in case something aren't clear, or just to fill in background material, here is a recap of the background material for the first two trade paperbacks, in bullet form:

(parts of this were recapped on the first page of the Gallimaufry series linked above)
At some point in the near-future a giant solar flare will strike earth and devastate it's population.
One of the few remaining outposts of civilization that will be left was a complex of scientists and military personnel that were stationed at Antarctica.
The combination of now fantastic land and, well, everybody else being sent into chaos propelled the Antarctic Subterranean Nation to rapidly take over and set up a One World Government. (This, BTW, is why the embassy of Humanity seen a couple of days ago is centered around Antarctica)
Many many scientific advancements were rapidly made, including much tinkering with the Human Genome. Humanity eliminated all of its genetic based diseases. But not being satisfied with this, many segments of society played around with the genetic template just for kicks. Humans like to tinker. :smallwink:
FTL drive was discovered at some point and Humanity ventured out into the Galaxy, and was eventually accepted into the Gallimaufry.
Humanity, not content with worlds that were perfect for them, embarked on a wide scale colonization drive. Not only did they terraform many worlds to suit their purposes, they also genetically altered themselves so they could exist safely on "marginal" worlds. Hoffmanites are an example of Genetically Altered humans, built to withstand the rigors of a High Gravity world. Their increased bulk is mostly muscle, actually.
Being from a High G World has also shaped many of the attitudes of Hoffmanites, as has been seen in the comics so far.
(moving ahead a bit in the timeline) PSmIth is another example of (in this case the last unlicensed) Genetic Engineering at a large scale.
As mentioned in this strip (http://www.airshipentertainment.com/buckcomic.php?date=20071018) there were two Great Checks performed upon Humanity to try to curb their more anti-social impulses. These, by and large, have worked.
The First Great Check occurred when Lord Thezmothete showed up and stopped Humanity from interfering with pre-spaceflight society. He caused the entire fleet of ships from a Trading House to simply disappear. Without explaining how he had done it, the then told Humanity that until further notice they were barred from dealing with pre-spaceflight civilizations.
The Law Machines, the second of the Great Checks, showed up after many civil wars occurred that threatened to destabilize Galactic Society. They then proceeded to set up The Law on every world colonized by Humanity. The First, and only immutable, Law was that no one may tamper with a Law Machine. All of the other Laws were set up for the citizens of their respective worlds to vote on one by one.
All of the other Laws dealt with major crimes like "Don't Kill", so at first not much notice was given to the Laws and on some worlds most (if not all of the Laws) went into affect rapidly.
It was only after people noticed how precisely the Law Machines upheld their Laws that they began to worry. It became most noticeable after several worlds went through successive governments very rapidly for violating The Laws.
Compounding that, no one knows what happens when someone is arrested for violating a Law. Once the Law Machines arrive to arrest someone they are never seen again. The Law Machines are silent, despite repeated questioning, on what happens to people it arrests.
Even more disturbing, a person can only vote once on a given Law in ones lifetime (per planet/settlement at least), and that can only vote "Yes". If you don't want a Law to come into affect, you don't vote. Also, the percentage of "Yes" votes that enables a Law to come into affect is unknown, except to the Law Machines. The only way to tell if a Law has been enacted is to see if the Law Machines start arresting people for violating a Law.
This has lead to a noticeable decline in "real governments" (owing to the fact that they tend not to be able to function in the harsh scrutiny of The Law) and the rise of guilds like X-Tel (http://www.airshipentertainment.com/buckcomic.php?date=20070210). X-Tel, for example, specializes in moving disgruntled colonists who feel that The Law has gotten too restrictive on their current planet to another one where The Law hasn't been enforced as much yet.
X-Tel, as noted in the last link, was technically exempt from The Law because it was not technically a settlement, colony, or part of a planetary system. This annoyed the Law something no end. :smallwink:
The sole exception to the "all settlements must have The Law" is New Hong Kong. When New Hong Kong was first opened to settlement, the Law Machines arrived and interfaced with the various computers that enable communication and the like and implemented the First Law.
However, a enterprising hacker decided to hack into the Law Machines computers and introduced a simple Law: There Shall Be No Laws On New Hong Kong.
This Law passed overwhelmingly immediately.
The Law Machines arrested the hacker for violating the First Law, yet left the new Law untouched. They then left, en mass, save a single representative to keep an eye on the planet. When asked they give no reason for leaving the unauthorized Law on the books, nor why they have an observer on the planet.

I could give the background on Lord Thezmothete, but it really isn't germane to the story (except to say that he is the Biggest, Baddest, Most Powerful Entity known to the Gallimaufry). He also, thankfully according to the rest of the Gallimaufry, tends to keep to himself. :smalltongue: Every thing we need to know about Thezmothete as either already been seen in the story or will be addressed as it becomes important.

Hope this helps "flesh out" the background if the BG Universe that we've already been told about by this portion of the comic. :smallsmile:

Falkus
2008-01-30, 06:29 AM
Wow. That just changed Buck Godot from the happy go lucky space merc setting I thought it was, to something about as disturbing as Lovecraft's work.

Gez
2008-01-30, 07:29 AM
How can it be happy-go-lucky when you have trash bags on which it is written: R.I.P. Disposal Services of New Hong Kong "We don't want to know!" :smallbiggrin:

For those who have the book, was Louisa's gala outfit as shiny and sparkly in B&W version? Those effects seem hard to do without some photoshoppery...

Midnight Lurker
2008-01-31, 02:09 PM
All right, I'll be nice: in the early twentieth century fantasy novels of James Branch Cabell, a lady named Ettarre represents the "transcendent dream" of unreachable perfection.

North
2008-01-31, 06:43 PM
Yeah Lou seems to have quite the fancy dress lightshow.

Porthos
2008-01-31, 07:03 PM
Yeah Lou seems to have quite the fancy dress lightshow.

The word "subtle" ain't exactly in Lou's vocabulary. :smalltongue:

sihnfahl
2008-01-31, 10:49 PM
The word "subtle" ain't exactly in Lou's vocabulary. :smalltongue:
But the word Exhibitionist is!

Porthos
2008-02-01, 01:49 AM
For those who have the book, was Louisa's gala outfit as shiny and sparkly in B&W version? Those effects seem hard to do without some photoshoppery...

I don't have the comics at hand, so this is a little sketchy, but I do remember Lens Flares. Beyond that, I ain't got much. :smallwink:

Farmerbob
2008-02-16, 12:41 AM
Human mating season is the kind of plot hook that I like.

North
2008-02-16, 01:53 AM
Hmmm somehow theyve stopped humans from mating...

Robots have replaced them?

agentx42
2008-02-17, 11:45 AM
How can it be happy-go-lucky when you have trash bags on which it is written: R.I.P. Disposal Services of New Hong Kong "We don't want to know!" :smallbiggrin:

Ha!! What a great gag! Pitch-black jokes have always been one of Mr Foglio's greatest weapons, and face it, death is just intrinsically funny. What jazzes me is the fact a whole 'nuther generation of fans are discovering everyone's fave X-Tel employee. That Phil took so much time and effort to create such a detailed back story for BG... man, twenty-plus years running and it still stands up. And that's how you know it's a classic.

Gez
2008-02-23, 03:40 PM
Sometimes, you see little details you didn't catch in the first read. Like the pie tin engraved with the π sign...

thorgrim29
2008-02-23, 04:18 PM
Hey, buck is getting his ass kicked..... thats not right....

battleburn
2008-02-23, 05:04 PM
Sometimes, you see little details you didn't catch in the first read. Like the pie tin engraved with the π sign...

That's what you get for not being a native English speaker. I noticed the π, but didn't get what was funny about it. Thanks for explaining.
Mister space pirate has family issues, he is trying to convince himself his mother loved him. That poor guy is really messed up...
Especially now that Buck has sat on him :smallamused:

Mewtarthio
2008-02-24, 08:31 PM

Or the bidding readout that displays "TILT."

Farmerbob
2008-02-28, 12:00 AM
I suppose the fork is for getting past airport security?

And the spoon is Schlock Mercenary epaulet style?

Midnight Lurker
2008-02-28, 02:55 AM
My guess would be that the spoon can gouge eyes out at a hundred paces...

Ganurath
2008-03-06, 12:39 AM
The spoon, like the fork, is made of heavy Hoffmannite ores. The spoon, unlike the fork, is thick with extra mass.

Also, it seems in addition to being an exhibitionist, Dex is a furry.

Gez
2008-03-06, 05:16 AM
The spoon, like the fork, is made of heavy Hoffmannite ores. The spoon, unlike the fork, is thick with extra mass.

Also, it seems in addition to being an exhibitionist, Dex is a furry.

Shouldn't be surprised. One of her employees is a catgirl.

(Dex? Louisa Dem Five is called Dex now?)

battleburn
2008-03-11, 04:07 PM
Hmm, I wonder what possible gain, humanity can get from giving away their monopoly position on the one resource they have such a position.

Gez
2008-03-11, 05:31 PM
Hmm, I wonder what possible gain, humanity can get from giving away their monopoly position on the one resource they have such a position.

That resource may not be a real resource... I'm thinking she's talking about The Winslow.

2008-03-11, 10:41 PM
Or maybe the means to make popsicles. God only knows popsicles have been mentioned enough already.

Oracle_Hunter
2008-03-12, 01:31 AM
Or maybe the means to make popsicles. God only knows popsicles have been mentioned enough already.

It's the Winslow, but I only know about that because I read ahead (http://www.studiofoglio.com/buck/issue7/buck7_00.php4).

On one hand, I now know the entire plot of the Gallimaufry. On the other hand, that doesn't make the current comics any less awesome.

Such is the paradoxical nature of Foglio - knowing the plot beforehand does not ruin the story!

2008-03-12, 08:46 PM
Damn you, OH. Always ruining my perfectly conceivable theories.

Porthos
2008-03-12, 11:57 PM
Damn you, OH. Always ruining my perfectly conceivable theories.

Well, we probably should use spoiler space when discussing future strips, since a lot of people won't have seen what's coming up. :smallwink:

Speaking of which, I seem to get the feeling that The Presentation of The Winslow isn't going exactly as Humanity planned. :smalltongue:
Naaahhh, they're probably just trying to encapsulate just how awestruck they are at seeing The Winslow. :smallamused:

Oracle_Hunter
2008-03-13, 12:42 AM
Well, we probably should use spoiler space when discussing future strips, since a lot of people won't have seen what's coming up. :smallwink:

Generally I do, but since the future was one update away, I figured "what's the harm?"

Plus, y'know, being able to preemptively shoot down Lord Fullblatter after what he did in the DD thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3765626#post3765626) - totally worth it. :smallbiggrin:

Ganurath
2008-03-13, 12:47 AM
Generally I do, but since the future was one update away, I figured "what's the harm?"

Plus, y'know, being able to preemptively shoot down Lord Fullblatter after what he did in the DD thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3765626#post3765626) - totally worth it. :smallbiggrin:Anything that makes DD worse should be punished.

Question: What's so great about the Winslow? Wouldn't winning fast be better.

*flees before he receives punishment*

battleburn
2008-03-13, 04:00 AM
I hadn't heard of the winslow before.
Did I miss it in Girl Genius and Buck Godot?

Or is he first introduced here, and will that come in later episodes?

Midnight Lurker
2008-03-13, 05:10 AM
The basics of the Winslow will be covered in a text piece that should be reprinted in a couple of strips from now.

For now, however, the priest of Slag-Blah did mention that the Winslow features in over 80% of all known religions... :smallbiggrin:

Gez
2008-03-13, 05:48 AM
I hadn't heard of the winslow before.
Did I miss it in Girl Genius and Buck Godot?

The Winslow was introduced by the priest of Slag-Blah in the previous story, when Godot was on the run from the T.N. And I don't think he'll play an active role in Girl Genius, but if you look out you can find a few cameos of him. He's even in the cast page (http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/info/cast/cast07.php).

2008-03-17, 11:14 PM
He appears briefly in the first page of Girl Genius, amongst the debris behind the storyteller. I haven't aid close enough attention to see him since.

Speaking of Winslow, I still can't tell whether the crowd wants to kill him/it, steal him/it, or worship him/it. Since he's a heavy religious icon, it could be all three, I suppose, but I really wish I could pick up on these alien emotions.

Gez
2008-03-18, 02:32 AM
Since he's a heavy religious icon, it could be all three, I suppose, but I really wish I could pick up on these alien emotions.

All three, depending on the alien.

Midnight Lurker
2008-03-18, 11:15 PM
And now you know. (http://www.airshipentertainment.com/buckcomic.php?date=20080318) :smallbiggrin:

Ganurath
2008-03-18, 11:45 PM
So... the Winslow is a meme plague?

Oracle_Hunter
2008-03-19, 12:12 AM
So... the Winslow is a meme plague?

:eek:

I don't know if an actual Winslow meme plague would be the worst or most awesome thing ever...

Ganurath
2008-03-19, 12:19 AM

I don't know if an actual Winslow meme plague would be the worst or most awesome thing ever...Let's find out!

BRC
2008-03-19, 12:21 AM
Let's find out!

HI!

Winslow see's all

Ganurath
2008-03-19, 12:25 AM
http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/info/cast/bios/winslow.jpg
Hi!

battleburn
2008-03-19, 07:33 AM
http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/info/cast/bios/winslow.jpg
Hi!

Awesome picture.
And:
HI!

Gez
2008-03-20, 02:08 AM
Is it normal if two of the text boxes on that splash page (http://www.airshipentertainment.com/buckcomic.php?date=20080320) are empty?

Midnight Lurker
2008-03-20, 02:21 AM
That's where the issue number and writer/artist credits were. Since we're not dealing in issues and the creative team is the same, why bother?

Gez
2008-03-20, 06:12 AM
That's where the issue number and writer/artist credits were. Since we're not dealing in issues and the creative team is the same, why bother?

Because it looks odd. Of course the best would be to erase them and redraw the missing bits of the pictures; but failing that leaving them in would at least not make it look like there's a problem. :smallsmile:

battleburn
2008-03-20, 03:10 PM
It's fixed now. The boxes are filled in.

Midnight Lurker
2008-03-28, 11:21 PM
Y'know, the Sclufoniun looked a lot more scary when it was in black and white.

Now that it's all pink and plasticky, it looks... um... :smalleek:

Oracle_Hunter
2008-03-28, 11:31 PM
Y'know, the Sclufoniun looked a lot more scary when it was in black and white.

Now that it's all pink and plasticky, it looks... um... :smalleek:

Maybe the Foglios were trying to keep up the bright color scheme... or maybe they were going more for deeply disturbing than cosmic horror.

That said: I've never read it in black and white but ewwwwwwwwww! That color pink with that texture... I think sometimes an alien is not just an alien, if you know what I mean (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freud).

2008-03-28, 11:40 PM
I suppose it helps get away from that.... vibe that it's head crest looks like a bikini....

But not by much, with you people edging on my innocent psychosis with your vibes and your tropes! Grah!

Porthos
2008-03-31, 11:21 PM
Now THAT's an effective anti-riot control system. (http://www.airshipentertainment.com/buckcomic.php?date=20080401) :smallcool:

Makes you wonder why more Spaceships/Space Stations don't use that as a tool for dealing with intruders. :smallwink:

Ganurath
2008-03-31, 11:50 PM
Now THAT's an effective anti-riot control system. (http://www.airshipentertainment.com/buckcomic.php?date=20080401) :smallcool:

Makes you wonder why more Spaceships/Space Stations don't use that as a tool for dealing with intruders. :smallwink:You should watch Andromeda. Or read Schlock Mercenary.

Oracle_Hunter
2008-04-01, 12:13 AM

Makes you wonder why more Spaceships/Space Stations don't use that as a tool for dealing with intruders. :smallwink:

Well... I may not know much about horse physiology, but it seems that horse's legs are pretty fragile as it is, and don't bend so well. If Mr. Centaur (http://www.airshipentertainment.com/buckcomic.php?date=20080329) was still alive, I think he'd be dead right now... or gravely injured.

Gez
2008-04-01, 12:27 AM
If Mr. Centaur (http://www.airshipentertainment.com/buckcomic.php?date=20080329) was still alive, I think he'd be dead right now... or gravely injured.

So we can guess that Ms. Centaur (http://www.airshipentertainment.com/buckcomic.php?date=20080315) will need a medic.

By the way, are the centaurs what they call silverrunners, or are those the "jellybones (http://www.airshipentertainment.com/buckcomic.php?date=20080119)" marines?

Porthos
2008-04-01, 01:01 AM
You should watch Andromeda. Or read Schlock Mercenary.

I watched Andromeda religiously. Until they fired the guy who actually created the show. Then, for some reason, I just couldn't stand watching it anymore. :smallwink:

But it's been awhile so I can't recall if they did that in the first two seasons or not.

By the way, are the centaurs what they call silverrunners, or are those the "jellybones (http://www.airshipentertainment.com/buckcomic.php?date=20080119)" marines?

Yes, the centaurs are the Silverrunners. :smallsmile:

BRC
2008-04-01, 09:17 PM
I just want to say I admire the Foglio's creativity when coming up with appearances for different alien species. Theyve managed to keep your standard Rubber-forehead humans to a minimum.

Alright, so the Hoffamites are from a planet (Proably called Hoffam) with very high gravity. So whats up with the Silverunners.
PS, I think Jellybones refers to any non-hoffamite.

2008-04-01, 09:20 PM
Geentic engineering to produce faster humans, perhaps? To see if it could be done? Sometime ago mankind gained the hyper-fertility of fantasy settings and a cowboy was out in the desert with his horse too long? Winslow did it? Forbidden magic ritual?

BRC
2008-04-01, 09:21 PM
Winslow did it?
Best Answer ever.

Oracle_Hunter
2008-04-01, 09:30 PM
So whats up with the Silverunners.

My guess is they decided to do some elective genetic engineering, like a certain someone/everyone (http://www.airshipentertainment.com/buckcomic.php?date=20070804).

Why? I'm going to go with a colony ship filled with bizarre sexual fetishists.

Gez
2008-04-02, 05:09 AM
PS, I think Jellybones refers to any non-hoffamite.
Makes sense. And they're Hoffmannites, their planet was probably named after someone called Hoffmann (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoffman).

Midnight Lurker
2008-04-02, 08:08 PM
Humans are known to be the only species in the Gallimaufry crazy enough to tamper with THEIR OWN DNA. Hoffmanites, Silverrunners, and the PSmIth are all examples of this.

BRC
2008-04-02, 08:30 PM
Humans are known to be the only species in the Gallimaufry crazy enough to tamper with THEIR OWN DNA. Hoffmanites, Silverrunners, and the PSmIth are all examples of this.
I don't think the Hoffmanites are the result of direct DNA tampering so much as they are the result of a group of humans living on a high-gravity planet for several generations.

Midnight Lurker
2008-04-02, 10:40 PM
I believe the Foglios have stated that genetic meddling was involved.

slayerx
2008-04-03, 12:16 AM
My guess is they decided to do some elective genetic engineering, like a certain someone/everyone (http://www.airshipentertainment.com/buckcomic.php?date=20070804).

Why? I'm going to go with a colony ship filled with bizarre sexual fetishists.
Eh... frankly i don't like the silverrunners... compared to everything else, they are rather unimaginative... and i don't see too much use for a centaur. I mean you already got hoffmanites for all the heavy work, fighting and so forth... only thing they seem to have is running really fast; but in a sci-fi age, how much use does running fast really have?

Even if they did genetic engineering to see if it would possible, i would think they would discontinue the project out of a lack of actual usefulness...

Rockphed
2008-04-03, 12:20 AM
Even if they did genetic engineering to see if it would possible, i would think they would discontinue the project out of a lack of actual usefulness...

The project might have been discontinued, but the results of the project might have objected to genetic remodification of their descendants.

John Campbell
2008-04-03, 01:30 AM
I like how the panel frames bend under the increased gravity. it's a nice effect to indicate something that's not really visible.

Porthos
2008-04-03, 03:01 AM
In the Intro Text to PSmIth (which is not online) there was three whole pages devoted to Humanity's fascination with tinkering with its DNA. Hoffmanites, Silverrunners, and a couple of others were direct mentions of things that Humanity did when they got bored because they could.

Here's the thing about the Godot Universe. There is no central authority telling Humanity: Don't Do This. Or, rather, at least there wasn't before The Great Checks. :smallwink:

So if a section of Humanity saw a planet that was perfectly livable, but it had too high of a gravity? Simple. Just tinker with the DNA of the people and go off and colonize. Even if 99.9999% of people would think that's a bat-boop crazy idea, it'd only take a few thousand people to sign up to get things rolling.

Heck, with the right Mad Scientist Geneticist, it'd only take one person. :smallbiggrin:

Anyway, it's not a case of Humanity finding Hoffmanites useful, so they were created. It's a case of someone was crazy enough to do it, so they did. As for the centaurs, think about it this way. Let's suppose, for a moment, that genetic engineering was perfected to such a degree that people could create just about anything, given the right base stock. Then suppose there's no one around to stop you from indulging in your fantasies.

Again think, just for a moment, what would happen. At the very least there would be dragons, catgirls, unicorns, and all sorts of mythic beasts running around. Why? Because someone, somewhere would think it was cool, that's why. Given enough time and a lack of oversight, and just about anything would be created.

That's why the Gallimaufry eventually stepped in and said: Enough. They made sure that Humanity couldn't go around and really go off the Deep End when it came to Genetic Engineering. While I don't have the wording handy, basically after a certain point, all Major Genetic Engineering Projects had to be approved ahead of time.

Naturally, PSmIth, was one of the last projects that a group of people* embarked on before the Gallimaufry laid the smack down. :smalltongue:

* In this case, it was a planetary wide vote. After the vote was taken, and passed, the dissenters were "invited" to leave if they didn't feel like taking part of the PSmIth Experiment. :smallamused:

Gez
2008-04-03, 04:35 AM
They made sure that Humanity couldn't go around and really go off the Deep End when it came to Genetic Engineering.
Like creating humans with Winslow DNA? :smallbiggrin:

Midnight Lurker
2008-04-04, 12:03 AM
How do you extract DNA from a completely indestructible subject? :smalltongue:

Gez
2008-04-04, 01:50 AM
From its saliva?

Also:

Again think, just for a moment, what would happen. At the very least there would be dragons, catgirls, unicorns, and all sorts of mythic beasts running around.
In the Godoverse:
Dragons: Nope, unless The Winslow counts?
Catgirl: Confirmed, one works for Lou.
Unicorns: Nope.

kagato23
2008-04-04, 10:51 AM
Like creating humans with Winslow DNA? :smallbiggrin:

All species that attempted to incorporate winslow dna into their structures have now died out. There was a side comic about winslow in Myth Adventuers. The species that tried it quickly destroyed themselves, as they became very stupid, and not indestructible.

slayerx
2008-04-04, 11:23 AM
In the Intro Text to PSmIth (which is not online) there was three whole pages devoted to Humanity's fascination with tinkering with its DNA. Hoffmanites, Silverrunners, and a couple of others were direct mentions of things that Humanity did when they got bored because they could.

Y'know, normally i might say something against all that... but then i remembered that i already accepted "Popsicles" being humanity's chief contribution to the universe, and the divine absurdity that is "the Winslow"... so ya, i think i'll just roll with that answer =p

Gez
2008-04-04, 12:11 PM
All species that attempted to incorporate winslow dna into their structures have now died out. There was a side comic about winslow in Myth Adventuers. The species that tried it quickly destroyed themselves, as they became very stupid, and not indestructible.

Yeah, but humans don't do their experiment on their whole species, otherwise they would all be huge round centaurs with deep blue skin and a hivemind...

Sampi
2008-04-08, 12:48 AM
New comic up.

Dammit, now I want a Winslow plushie.

Hi!

battleburn
2008-04-17, 12:24 AM
The head of this "Velvet Fist" branch really is gonna get it.

I also wonder how Buck is going to pull off, insuspiciously following them while in the air.

Ganurath
2008-04-17, 12:52 AM
The head of this "Velvet Fist" branch really is gonna get it.

I also wonder how Buck is going to pull off, insuspiciously following them while in the air.It's about time. I doubt she's gotten any in a while. Zing!

Seriously, somebody didn't pay much attention to the training video.

Oracle_Hunter
2008-04-17, 02:00 AM
Seriously, somebody didn't pay much attention to the training video.

Velvet Fist training video...

My reaction (http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1117)

Porthos
2008-04-17, 02:03 AM
I also wonder how Buck is going to pull off, insuspiciously following them while in the air.

Spoiler (not a huge one though) for the next couple of strips:
Paraphrasing what Admiral Kirk once opined,
"You need to think Three Dimensionally." :smallwink:

Gez
2008-04-17, 02:48 AM
Apparently, Phil & Dixie are lost.

2008-04-18, 11:46 PM
It would be the 'Heavy Load Corridor', wouldn't it?

Gez
2008-04-19, 03:29 AM
Bete Moire? I wonder if it isn't some sort of pun. (Bête noire: pet peeve in French.)

SnowballMan
2008-04-22, 07:20 AM
I give up, how hard IS it to bore a Theemian in bed?

Ganurath
2008-04-23, 11:34 PM
I give up, how hard IS it to bore a Theemian in bed?You're playing D&D, you're the party leader, a Neutral Fighter. To the north, the nation devoted to Hextor have taken the Wizard's spellbook and locked her in an Anti-Magic Oubilette, only to be released if upcoming negociations go in their favor. To the east, the hordes devoted to Erythnul are going to sacrifice the Cleric to their deity if the negociations don't end in blood. To the south, the confederate states devoted to Kord have finally found out the half of the illegitimate children of their nobility were fathered by the Bard, and are only willing to absolve him if negociations end peacefully. The empire where the worship of Heironeous is dominant has the Rogue on death row, but are willing to absolve her if things go favorably for their empire. You have a Charisma of 6, no ranks in Diplomacy, and the guards for each diplomat have an EL equal to twice your level.

Make this end well for your party.

Also, something's wrong with humanity...

Guancyto
2008-04-24, 02:32 AM
Hmm.

Make arrangements with the Hextorians for the assassination of some notable members of the Kordic envoy. They shouldn't need too much encouragement. This should gain you the Cleric, since Kords don't tend to stand for being picked off one by one in the night. Help them pin it on the Erythnulians.

In the inevitable "everything going to hell," help foster cooperation and trust between the Heironians and Kordians; assuming no long-standing grudges between the empire and confederacy, the Horde makes a good common foe.

Ideal result:
1 Fairly tenuous alliance that Hextor's folk can manipulate as they like, and/or the massive weakening of two of their rivals' forces against a third.
1 Ally (if temporary) for the empire of Heironeous in eliminating a nasty enemy.
1 Slaughterfest of a diplomatic summit. Not your fault it started a war against them, and hey, they're followers of Erythnul. They were probably angling for that anyway.
1 Dead Bard. He totally had it coming. I'm willing to consider this a win if you are.

Takes some resources, ingenuity, probably a lot of work, you have to pitch three-quarters of civilization into a genocidal war and give an evil overlord a decent chance at eventual world domination, but doable. Just... not quite as easy as you or I make it sound. :smallbiggrin:

Edit: Or, depending on your level, sell some equipment and buy the Bard a True Resurrection from a priest of Hextor or Heironeous, then run away as fast as your wizard can teleport you. Faster, if possible.

2008-05-02, 11:54 PM
.... I must say, I love that tender, fatherly expression Big An' Yellow has on his face in panel two of <Thursday, May 1, 2008>'s comic. I dunno why.

It's definately on of those fatherly "Now, son, are you sure you want to go through with this?" looks I think everyone's gotten at least once.

North
2008-05-20, 01:56 AM
So what does Humanity losing its sex drive have to do with everything else I wonder?:smallconfused:

sihnfahl
2008-05-20, 01:27 PM
So what does Humanity losing its sex drive have to do with everything else I wonder?:smallconfused:
I wonder what it'd mean if someone could figure out how to stop the reproductive cycle of a hated species...

2008-05-20, 05:36 PM
There'd be less grasshoppers, mosquitos, and rodents in the world, I can tell you that much.

Evil DM Mark3
2008-05-26, 05:44 PM
Just done an archive binge.

Remind me NEVER to go to New Hoffman. If I do remind me to spend Valentines day in a sealed nuclear bunker.

My guess is that the loss of sex drive is a side effect of whatever is causing the human dignitaries to be so stupid as to say to the universe "here's god, lookie."

All hail Winslow! Lord of things shaped like potatoes and the colour beige!

Suicide Junkie
2008-05-27, 02:19 PM
So what does Humanity losing its sex drive have to do with everything else I wonder?:smallconfused:I thought the timeline was pretty obvious (though not precise) for this arc... there are not a lot of big events to correlate :)

Oracle_Hunter
2008-05-28, 11:15 PM
Oh god, "The Universal Ninja Puzzle." Hilarious! :smallbiggrin:

And Phil wrote that in the 80's? He is a powerful soothsayer, says I!

Midnight Lurker
2008-05-28, 11:43 PM
They skipped a page! The last page of the previous issue is missing. :smalleek:

Oracle_Hunter
2008-05-28, 11:45 PM
They skipped a page! The last page of the previous issue is missing. :smalleek:

This cannot be! I hope that there was just a slip-up and Casa de Foglio and all shall be fixed in due time.

Midnight Lurker
2008-05-28, 11:47 PM
D'oh! Never mind. I was thinking of the "rampaging ambassadors" page that ended the PREVIOUS issue. :smallredface:

Oracle_Hunter
2008-05-28, 11:58 PM
D'oh! Never mind. I was thinking of the "rampaging ambassadors" page that ended the PREVIOUS issue. :smallredface:

Don't make me Retconn you in the face!

Considering the flap over at GG (http://kajafoglio.livejournal.com/138971.html) it was looking like the start of a trend. :smalltongue:

Porthos
2008-05-29, 12:13 AM
Oh god, "The Universal Ninja Puzzle." Hilarious! :smallbiggrin:

And Phil wrote that in the 80's? He is a powerful soothsayer, says I!

Well, 1994 in the case of this comic. But close enuf. :smallwink: The Gallimuphry story ran (VERY irregularly) from 1993 to 1998. Trust me, going to the web was the best thing the Foglios ever did. Think Rich's update schedule is bad? Try waiting over six months (or sometimes much longer) for a (very) late comic book. :smalltongue:

Tirian
2008-05-29, 12:03 PM
Don't make me Retconn you in the face!

Considering the flap over at GG (http://kajafoglio.livejournal.com/138971.html) it was looking like the start of a trend. :smalltongue:

And, much more recently, when they posted the D&D quiz in What's New a month or two ago, they skipped over the final page for at least a week. Which was particularly unfortunate because that's where all the punchlines were.

Midnight Lurker
2008-06-12, 01:13 AM
They've made the Uligb look ten times as freaky as they did in black and white...

Oracle_Hunter
2008-06-12, 01:25 AM
They've made the Uligb look ten times as freaky as they did in black and white...

Well after the debacle with the colorization of the Sclufoniun (http://www.airshipentertainment.com/buckcomic.php?date=20080329) I'd say we're due :smallbiggrin:

TigerHunter
2008-06-21, 02:25 AM
I love how Buck's just standing there joshing with his would-be killers. His expression in the last panel is particularly priceless.

chionophile
2008-06-21, 03:23 AM
'kay, so I finally got around to reading my way through all of Buck last week or so. Awesome stuff. How much of this has been released already? Could someone spoil the next, like, year of comics if they wanted to?

Couple of questions - what's a "J-Bod"? Is the tall yellow guy they're calling Primer Mover in this (http://www.airshipentertainment.com/buckcomic.php?date=20080429) strip Lord Thesmothete?

Oracle_Hunter
2008-06-21, 12:30 PM
'kay, so I finally got around to reading my way through all of Buck last week or so. Awesome stuff. How much of this has been released already? Could someone spoil the next, like, year of comics if they wanted to?

Couple of questions - what's a "J-Bod"? Is the tall yellow guy they're calling Primer Mover in this (http://www.airshipentertainment.com/buckcomic.php?date=20080429) strip Lord Thesmothete?

So, the whole "Buck Godot" thing was released in paper form years ago (and some people on this thread have the whole thing, but are very good about not spoiling).

J-Bods are these little floating X things (http://www.airshipentertainment.com/buckcomic.php?date=20080426), and Lord Thesmothete is more cthulul-esque (http://www.airshipentertainment.com/buckcomic.php?date=20070922) (see the spiky guy in the background of panel 3).

Gez
2008-06-21, 12:30 PM
Couple of questions - what's a "J-Bod"?

I think the J-Bods are the big flying kitty bells you see here (http://www.airshipentertainment.com/buckcomic.php?date=20080405) and here (http://www.airshipentertainment.com/buckcomic.php?date=20080426)

Midnight Lurker
2008-06-21, 08:57 PM
They are. I'm guessing the J stands for Jingle.

sihnfahl
2008-06-24, 02:07 PM
"You ever wonder what it'd be like to take a spacewalk without a suit?"

"No? Ah, too bad, since you're about to find out..."

Poor Buck, forgetting some beings' attitudes towards the law. "There are no innocents."

BRC
2008-06-24, 02:11 PM
Stupid security alerts, interrupting as the sneef boils.

That said, A word to all ninjas, Don't Mess with Parahexavoctal when he has had a very bad day.

TigerHunter
2008-06-24, 03:49 PM
:smalleek:

That was cold. Go Par.

Evil DM Mark3
2008-06-24, 03:55 PM
ok, last panel, in the background, what is that meant to be?

TigerHunter
2008-06-24, 04:16 PM
"This public Vrin dispenser is also a memorial to the Caffax who died to build it."

Gez
2008-06-24, 04:19 PM

Why, it's a public Vrin dispenser, of course! Don't you wish you could be dispensed your very own Vrin (http://girlgenius.wikia.com/wiki/Lady_Vrin)? I'm not surprised the Caffax who build it died. Vrins are dangerous to handle.

Anyway, it's just supposed to be some alien stuff which is just completely foreign to human culture. It's a little humorous detail, nothing more. The joke is that someone died to build their own memorial. As for what vrin is, nothing more than the proof Phil Foglio tends to re-use the same names for different stuff. Most authors do.

sihnfahl
2008-06-26, 02:58 PM
Par is sneaky and ruthless.

Buck's gonna have a field day 'working' for Par - whether Buck realizes it or not...

Oracle_Hunter
2008-06-26, 03:13 PM
Sweet lightning, I was afraid that the page would never update! :smalltongue:

BRC
2008-06-26, 03:15 PM
I think I like the Uglibs, but I wonder. Is each bubble-thingy an individual Uglib, or is each eye thing an individual uglib.
I do not savvy.

battleburn
2008-06-27, 05:35 AM
We have seen the Uglibs finish each other sentences. This suggests there is some kind of hive mind going on. I think the eyes are individuals, the bubbles are there transportation devices. (Normal air, they cannot breath)

Just my two cents...

Evil DM Mark3
2008-06-27, 08:03 AM
Is each bubble-thingy an individual Uglib, or is each eye thing an individual uglib.Seeing as they perceive the universe (and therefore presumably think and exist) in 13 1/2 dimensions I am going to go ahead and say that the answer is probably closest to Yes and leave it at that.

You know I hate to say this but all this is really adding to Buck's tax time.

Gez
2008-06-27, 01:41 PM
By the way, even though they're kinda ugly, they're uligb, but not uglib. :smallwink:

chionophile
2008-06-27, 04:08 PM
By the way, even though they're kinda ugly, they're uligb, but not uglib. :smallwink:

I suspect uglib is being used by mistake because it's easier to say. "gb" doesn't exactly roll off the tongue. Not that it should; they're aliens, after all.

Oracle_Hunter
2008-06-28, 01:09 AM
Man, I'd like to disagree with The Chief here (http://www.airshipentertainment.com/buckcomic.php?date=20080628) about human motivations, but he's got it all down. :smallbiggrin:

Rockphed
2008-06-28, 04:32 PM
You know I hate to say this but all this is really adding to Buck's tax time.

When he gets back, they might even make him president!

Evil DM Mark3
2008-06-28, 05:02 PM
When he gets back, they might even make him president!

??????????????????????????????????? How is that a taxtime job? I hope this was not spoilerful in anyway.

Oh BTW I think I DO savvy about the Winslow. Something that powerful, that ancient, that important, would lead to the ultimate extermination of any race that had it because having it would:
1: Make them a prime target of the people who want it
2: Slowly but surely make them arrogant and aloof because they have it
3: It deprives them of that sense of need and wonder at the unobtainable.

BRC
2008-06-28, 05:15 PM
??????????????????????????????????? How is that a taxtime job? I hope this was not spoilerful in anyway.

Oh BTW I think I DO savvy about the Winslow. Something that powerful, that ancient, that important, would lead to the ultimate extermination of any race that had it because having it would:
1: Make them a prime target of the people who want it
2: Slowly but surely make them arrogant and aloof because they have it
3: It deprives them of that sense of need and wonder at the unobtainable.

I am highly considering slowley replacing the word "Understand" with "savvy".

Porthos
2008-06-28, 06:53 PM

Don't worry, that's not a spoiler. :smalltongue: Rockphed is just making a joke that being president would be such an unwelcome job (especially on New Hong Kong) that it would only go to extereme tax delinquents.

Tirian
2008-06-28, 07:36 PM
Man, I'd like to disagree with The Chief here (http://www.airshipentertainment.com/buckcomic.php?date=20080628) about human motivations, but he's got it all down. :smallbiggrin:

It seems to me a reference to the neuroscientist joke that the limbic system governs the four F's: Feeding, Fighting, Fleeing, and Reproduction.

Rockphed
2008-06-28, 10:53 PM
Don't worry, that's not a spoiler. :smalltongue: Rockphed is just making a joke that being president would be such an unwelcome job (especially on New Hong Kong) that it would only go to extereme tax delinquents.

This is pretty much what I was thinking. I completely forgot that I could just buy the comic and not have to wait for the Foglios to get it up.

Midnight Lurker
2008-07-25, 01:09 AM
DUN DUN DUNNN! (http://www.airshipentertainment.com/buckcomic.php?date=20080724) :elan:

Evil DM Mark3
2008-07-25, 03:41 AM
Hmm. Well at least that explains why the humans where willing to give up something so incredibly powerful, as well a lack of thinking things through...

Damn, who gone done did that virus?

Porthos
2008-07-25, 04:49 PM
Damn, who gone done did that virus?

I don't think it's spoiling anything to say that this will be The Second Major Plot Point (with the other of Who Stole The Winslow) of the series. :smallsmile:

Just below those two plot points in order of importance will be the thread of:

Just what the heck is happening in Station Maintenance.

FoE
2008-07-25, 04:52 PM
There are three major mysteries when you get down to it:

1) Who stole the Winslow?
2) Where did that virus come from?
3) What is going on in station maintenance?

And then, how does this relate to the "pact" with humanity?

My theories, if you care to hear them ...

1) The Winslow isn't gone. It was never there. It was a hologram or some other illusion.
2) The virus is one of the great "checks" against humanity.
3) Haven't a clue.

BRC
2008-07-25, 05:13 PM
There are three major mysteries when you get down to it:

1) Who stole the Winslow?
2) Where did that virus come from?
3) What is going on in station maintenance?

And then, how does this relate to the "pact" with humanity?

My theories, if you care to hear them ...

1) The Winslow isn't gone. It was never there. It was a hologram or some other illusion.
2) The virus is one of the great "checks" against humanity.
3) Haven't a clue.

The machines are obviously Poiling Slurgs.

Evil DM Mark3
2008-07-25, 06:08 PM
My theories, in order:

1) For the moment at least the Winslow IS NOT MISSING. The bubble has had its nature altered to render him invisible/inaudable. When things quiet down you stroll along and take him from the one place people are sure he is not.
2) On of the races identified as the foes of humanity, or just possibly this is an X-tel fallout thing.
3) A 3rd party has taken over maintainance, possibly the race that was mentioned as being banished, and is using it to spy on people or possibly just to get gormet quisine.

Porthos
2008-07-25, 11:21 PM
Ya know... It's never a good thing when you hear the term "genocide" bandied about in a Medical Report.

Which, BTW, only qualified for a Class Two Medical Alert. Makes me kinda wonder what a Class One would be reserved for. :smalleek:

Ganurath
2008-07-26, 01:20 AM
Ya know... It's never a good thing when you hear the term "genocide" bandied about in a Medical Report.

Which, BTW, only qualified for a Class Two Medical Alert. Makes me kinda wonder what a Class One would be reserved for. :smalleek:The disease in question is a passive killer. A far more aggressive killer, like an airborn version of mummy rot, would warrant a Class One.

Evil DM Mark3
2008-07-26, 02:55 AM
OK so the Kelgdixal didn't do it, no one would be so stupid as to tie their name to it like that. Wasn't there another race that got banished?

BRC
2008-07-26, 03:00 AM
The disease in question is a passive killer. A far more aggressive killer, like an airborn version of mummy rot, would warrant a Class One.

So what your saying is
Class 1= Somebody is shooting us in the face.
Class 2= Somebody is going to shoot us in the face.

Personally, I think the Slurgs are behind it, I never trusted them.

But seriously folks, I don't think this is about the winslow. If they just wanted to promote reckless behavior in the humans, they wouldn't need a death-by-lethargy bioweapon. Hrm...

Ganurath
2008-07-26, 01:01 PM
Or the culprit race(s) knew about the whole Winslow thing before humanity even planned to release the information. If asteroid pirates had access to that sort of intel, I find it hard to believe that the knowledge wouldn't have gotten to someone who worships the Winslow.

Also, I'm saying Class 1 is "We're dying, and there's no time to stop it." and Class 2 is "We're dying, but we have time to try to stop it."

lord_khaine
2008-07-26, 01:53 PM
well, if humanity still had the winslow someone would have the perfect barganing chip now, the cure for the virus.

sihnfahl
2008-07-29, 10:22 AM
well, if humanity still had the winslow someone would have the perfect barganing chip now, the cure for the virus.
Or maybe someone found out Humanity had the Winslow and made the virus to 'convince' Humanity to give it up.

Evil DM Mark3
2008-07-29, 10:41 AM
On a different note, where is today's strip? Any news?

Tirian
2008-07-29, 10:59 AM
Yeah, that happens. Don't know why GG is 100% on-time at midnight and BG is 95%. They'll get to it soon enough, it's not like they don't have the artwork done yet.

Porthos
2008-07-29, 11:40 AM
Yeah, that happens. Don't know why GG is 100% on-time at midnight and BG is 95%. They'll get to it soon enough, it's not like they don't have the artwork done yet.

It's pretty simple, really. :smallsmile: Cheyenne Wright colors both strips while also holding down a "real job". GG has a much higher priority than BG does, so he makes sure that he has time to color that one first. So if he runs out of time for coloring... Well, one look at the page rankings will tell you which one is going to be put on the back burner. :smallwink:

As for this specific case, I figure it's because the whole gang just got back from ComicCon and he hasn't had a chance to finish today's strip. I do know for a fact that Cheyenne colored several days of strips of both comics in advance (the span covering their trip), so he might have a backlog at his real job now.

But I'm sure that it'll be up soon enough. :smallsmile:

Occasional Sage
2008-07-29, 03:05 PM
There's no such thing as "soon enough," Porthos.

That said, the new Buck's up.

sihnfahl
2008-07-29, 03:12 PM
That said, the new Buck's up.
Odds are pretty good that the Embassy to be opened is Humanity's.

Evil DM Mark3
2008-07-29, 05:00 PM
Well, it is connecting to another embassy. Remember it is not where something is but where everyone thinks it is that matters. Get the humans into the, um, turtle dude, embassy, wall up the gap and open the human embassy. Everyone thinks that the humans are all dead. No one attacks them.

Occasional Sage
2008-07-29, 06:06 PM
Well, it is connecting to another embassy. Remember it is not where something is but where everyone thinks it is that matters. Get the humans into the, um, turtle dude, embassy, wall up the gap and open the human embassy. Everyone thinks that the humans are all dead. No one attacks them.

I thought of that. The problem is that as we've seen (http://www.airshipentertainment.com/buckcomic.php?date=20080624), the tumbling bodies are clearly visible. And to halt the attack, Par would have to beamcast the spacing and the subterfuge becomes much more complex.

Aidan305
2008-07-29, 08:53 PM
I thought of that. The problem is that as we've seen (http://www.airshipentertainment.com/buckcomic.php?date=20080624), the tumbling bodies are clearly visible. And to halt the attack, Par would have to beamcast the spacing and the subterfuge becomes much more complex.

I'm fairly certain that video-editting skills in the far future are probably good enough to show humans dying.

Oracle_Hunter
2008-07-29, 08:58 PM
I'm fairly certain that video-editting skills in the far future are probably good enough to show humans dying.

What do you mean? We Will Not Use Photoshop In The Future (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/WeWillNotUsePhotoshopInTheFuture)! :smalltongue:

Aidan305
2008-07-29, 09:09 PM
What do you mean? We Will Not Use Photoshop In The Future (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/WeWillNotUsePhotoshopInTheFuture)! :smalltongue:

I find it odd that most of the examples given in that are about video/photo manipulation. And, of course, it's because no-one uses photoshop in the future that Par will be able to get away with it.

Porthos
2008-07-30, 11:18 PM
I'm starting to think that fans of As the Sneef Boils! are starting to get a wee bit sick of all of the interruptions of their favorite show. :smalltongue:

FoE
2008-07-30, 11:26 PM
Or maybe someone found out Humanity had the Winslow and made the virus to 'convince' Humanity to give it up.

No, the virus was spread at least three months before humanity revealed the Winslow. They could have found it out secretly, I suppose, but given that humanity was able to keep the truth from the entire galaxy, even their closest allies, I think that unlikely.

I don't think the virus is related to the Winslow. I think the virus was spread for another reason ...

sihnfahl
2008-07-31, 10:26 AM
No, the virus was spread at least three months before humanity revealed the Winslow. They could have found it out secretly, I suppose, but given that humanity was able to keep the truth from the entire galaxy, even their closest allies, I think that unlikely.
I think someone did find out. A secret is a secret when only one person knows it and doesn't write it down anywhere. When you write it down someplace or someone else knows ... it's only a matter of time when it stops being A Secret.

I don't think the virus is related to the Winslow. I think the virus was spread for another reason ...
I have a feeling the virus is related to the Winslow.

Humanity's been a royal pain in the backside to many an alien race for gods knows how many years. At any time, any one of them could have introduced the virus to wipe out Humanity ... just because. Yet they didn't.

Edit: And, yay, here comes the Faked Spacing of Humanity.

Suicide Junkie
2008-07-31, 03:17 PM
I'm pretty sure Par wouldn't want to be known for faking his security video.

But they do have an adjoining embassy to secretly put all their people into, so only the ones shown on screen need be spaced. ( and can be recovered once the camera stops rolling - lots of time to do so, and good medical tech is waiting )

Evil DM Mark3
2008-07-31, 04:18 PM
( and can be recovered once the camera stops rolling - lots of time to do so, and good medical tech is waiting )
A couple of minutes at most, much less if they where so stupid as to hold their breath.

Oracle_Hunter
2008-07-31, 04:38 PM
A couple of minutes at most, much less if they where so stupid as to hold their breath.

For more on Explosive Decompression and You, please consult this handy guide (http://www.schlockmercenary.com/d/20010527.html). :smallbiggrin:

Gez
2008-07-31, 05:54 PM
For more on Explosive Decompression and You, please consult this handy guide (http://www.schlockmercenary.com/d/20010527.html). :smallbiggrin:

Honestly, and while I like Schlock, I prefer this guide:
Human Body in a Vacuum (http://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/ask_astro/answers/970603.html)

Oracle_Hunter
2008-07-31, 07:51 PM
Honestly, and while I like Schlock, I prefer this guide:
Human Body in a Vacuum (http://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/ask_astro/answers/970603.html)

Huh, nothing about exploding eyeballs (http://www.schlockmercenary.com/d/20061015.html) either. Well, I guess real Science is better than Webcomic Science.

Evil DM Mark3
2008-08-01, 02:09 AM
Huh, nothing about exploding eyeballs (http://www.schlockmercenary.com/d/20061015.html) either. Well, I guess real Science is better than Webcomic Science.

Be fair, Andi is not human.

Oh, *groan* Andi. (Handy, four arms... I hope that is a coincidence)

Gez
2008-08-01, 02:42 AM
Be fair, Andi is not human.

Oh, *groan* Andi. (Handy, four arms... I hope that is a coincidence)

With the weird birdlike alien called "Legs" I doubt it.

Suicide Junkie
2008-08-01, 11:31 PM
Huh.

Well, at least he's got semi-plausible deniability.

Porthos
2008-08-01, 11:53 PM

So would the fact that Buck mentions that in fact, everyone in the future does have Photoshop make this a Discussed Trope, a Subverted Trope, or an Averted Trope? Or one of the other ones on This Page (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PlayingWithATrope?from=Main.MetaTropeIntro)? I'm kinda rusty on my Trope Fu. :smallwink:

Tirian
2008-08-02, 01:15 AM
Look, you obviously don't know anything about intelligence work. It's an XK-Red-27 technique (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mvP5GtIRVA&NR=1)

Gez
2008-08-02, 03:41 AM
So would the fact that Buck mentions that in fact, everyone in the future does have Photoshop make this a Discussed Trope, a Subverted Trope, or an Averted Trope? Or one of the other ones on This Page (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PlayingWithATrope?from=Main.MetaTropeIntro)? I'm kinda rusty on my Trope Fu. :smallwink:

Averted because it's used.
Justified by Par's security systems.

Oracle_Hunter
2008-08-02, 12:16 PM
Averted because it's used.
Justified by Par's security systems.

OBJECTION!

An Averted Trope (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AvertedTrope) requires the a situation that is covered by a trope to occur, but for the trope to be absolutely missing. For Photoshopping (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/WeWillNotUsePhotoshopInTheFuture), it would be if Par had somehow made everyone act out the spacing (with nearby recovery ships or something) rather than merely hacking the newsfeed. Additionally, nobody would even mention the fact that they could have hacked the newsfeed.

A Justified Trope (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/JustifiedTrope) is when a Trope is used but Scotch Tape (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HandWave?from=Main.ScotchTape) (or something stronger) is used to show why the Trope will be successful. Here, Buck did just that - people would be suspicious for a faked tape, but for Par's reputation as a hardass enforcer of the law (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DaChief).

Gez
2008-08-02, 02:37 PM
OBJECTION!

An Averted Trope (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AvertedTrope) requires the a situation that is covered by a trope to occur, but for the trope to be absolutely missing. For Photoshopping (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/WeWillNotUsePhotoshopInTheFuture), it would be if Par had somehow made everyone act out the spacing (with nearby recovery ships or something) rather than merely hacking the newsfeed. Additionally, nobody would even mention the fact that they could have hacked the newsfeed.

Objection rejected. You're saying that to avert "no photoshop", they have to not use photoshop? Nah, if what you say had happened, then the trope would merely have been used. It's averted because they do use photoshop, contrarily to what the trope wants.

Oracle_Hunter
2008-08-02, 03:53 PM
Objection rejected. You're saying that to avert "no photoshop", they have to not use photoshop? Nah, if what you say had happened, then the trope would merely have been used. It's averted because they do use photoshop, contrarily to what the trope wants.

Despite any obvious or implied advances in computer technology, photographic and video evidence of any kind is automatically accepted as genuine and unimpeachable. The possibility that it could be digitally faked is never even considered unless the provenance of the evidence is central to the plot -- and when it is proven, it is a great shock and surprise to all who were fooled by it.

As it says here, the trope revolves around the fact that, even in these modern times, TV shows often treat video/photo evidence as automatically true, despite the fact that they are very easily manipulated. In the future, it seems unbelievable that anyone would take a video/photo at face value, particularly if it showed something shocking or otherwise unbelievable. This surprising credulity is an essential facet of the Trope.

Tropes have exceptions. Sometimes, a writer uses a situation that seems indelibly married to a trope, but the trope never appears. It's not a Subverted Trope, because the lack of trope is never pointed out. It is just not there.

That is the core meaning of averted. The writer just went past the trope. They ignored it, or it wasn't a trope at all in their culture.

To apply this definition of Averted Trope (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AvertedTrope) to our situation, we would have to have an event occur that is "indelibly married to a trope" (such as faking video evidence) and then not having the possibility of manipulation or the suspicion of manipulation come up. Note, of course, that the evidence must still be faked somehow, but for whatever reason, the seemingly simple route of faking it digitally is not used. If the reason why they are faking the video a specific way is addressed, we are likely to slide into another type of tropic analysis (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PlayingWithATrope).

Now, a Justified Trope is as follows:

A trope which, in its common usage, runs counter to the normal laws of logic and probability, but which, in this particular instance, has a concrete reason for applying to the story.

As I've said before, it seems incredible for a band of frenzied aliens to accept that Par, having declared protection on the humans and spacing an entire embassy to that end, would have suddenly reversed himself and spaced the entire human embassy - without at least asking to look at the human embassy first.

As Buck points out, the only reason the aliens are accepting that Par wouldn't have faked the footage is because of Par's reputation as a brutal, candid, and utterly trustworthy entity. This fits a Justification (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/JustifiedTrope) of the We Will Not Use Photoshop In The Future (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/WeWillNotUsePhotoshopInTheFuture) Trope to a T.

FoE
2008-08-02, 04:14 PM
As I've said before, it seems incredible for a band of frenzied aliens to accept that Par, having declared protection on the humans and spacing an entire embassy to that end, would have suddenly reversed himself and spaced the entire human embassy - without at least asking to look at the human embassy first.

Actually, what I'm thinking is that the human embassy really WAS opened up to space, but the humans had already slid next door to the Pog embassy using the secret tunnel. Only the footage of Thad and Ettarre flying out was doctored.

Midnight Lurker
2008-08-03, 02:39 AM
As we'll see (not really a spoiler), that isn't the case; the human embassy is intact.

Gez
2008-08-03, 05:02 AM
As we'll see (not really a spoiler), that isn't the case; the human embassy is intact.

The Pog ambassador's reaction when Etarre asks him to host Buck already tells that humans do not reside in the Pog embassy.

FoE
2008-08-03, 06:00 AM
Etarre asks Ambassador Hwoolp if they can make it appear as though Buck is being hosted at the Pog embassy. Her comments don't make it clear where they are at the moment.

Also, if you can tell those green walls clearly identify this as the human embassy, then you're far more observant than I am.

The only reason I'm arguing this is actually spacing the embassy briefly would make for a more convincing illusion. I'm working on the assumption that some of the other races have the means to monitor what's going on at the station and can determine whether or not a major section of the station was opened to space. (Of course, it's already been lampshaded why they wouldn't.)

In any case, it's a fairly minor point that doesn't have a lot of bearing on the story.

Gez
2008-08-05, 04:32 AM
"FwOOnt!"? Did a spacing just happen?

sihnfahl
2008-08-05, 11:44 AM
"FwOOnt!"? Did a spacing just happen?
No, but Hwoolp will wish one DID happen...

Suicide Junkie
2008-08-05, 05:36 PM
As we'll see (not really a spoiler), that isn't the case; the human embassy is intact.I can't imagine that opening an embassy to space is a permanent topological situation.

Once its done, you close that section back up, pump in fresh air and send some janitors through before you move in some new guests.

chionophile
2008-08-05, 07:10 PM
I can't imagine that opening an embassy to space is a permanent topological situation.

Once its done, you close that section back up, pump in fresh air and send some janitors through before you move in some new guests.

Doesn't matter, we can see that they're in the human embassy right now. The door that Etarre and the Hwoolp go through has her nameplate next to it.

Suicide Junkie
2008-08-05, 09:33 PM
Sigh.
It would have been pretty easy to make it more realistic, by actually spewing some debris.

Well, it is only a sign, quite possibly electronic and easily changed to identify a temporary office, right?

BRC
2008-08-06, 11:49 PM
It's Official, Hoffamites are the universal override code.

And the fact that THAD had the override code for the door means it's probably the human embassy.

Surfing HalfOrc
2008-08-10, 07:03 AM
Don't forget to checkout the "What's New" strips as well as "Girl Genius." While Phil started out spoofing D&D, he did later cross over to Magic: The Gathering. Today's strip had a gag on vampires that made me fall off my chair!

FoE
2008-08-10, 11:58 AM
I loved the vampire strip's and all the jokes, but I'm dismayed how un-hot Dixie looks.

*Kisses picture of Dixie in chainmail bikini*

Don't worry, my love ... soon we will be together. :smalltongue:

Porthos
2008-08-12, 04:56 PM
One thing that I really like about this series of comics is how Phil uses the medium to tell seperate stories at the same time.

It's a little detail, but I still like it. :smallsmile:

Oracle_Hunter
2008-08-12, 09:09 PM
Oh hey, and the Tuesday Page (http://www.airshipentertainment.com/buckcomic.php?date=20080812) is finally up... though I bet all of you know that by now :smallredface:

EDIT: D'awww, Rowan and Martin are adorable! They weren't kidding when they said that Humanity was reckless with its genetic engineering. :smallbiggrin:

Porthos
2008-08-13, 11:12 PM
Hooray for the introduction of Rowan and Martin! :smallcool:

EDIT: D'awww, Rowan and Martin are adorable! They weren't kidding when they said that Humanity was reckless with its genetic engineering. :smallbiggrin:

Yes they are. Adorable that is.

Aparrently Humanity is into Uplifting (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biological_uplift) as well. :smalltongue:

TigerHunter
2008-08-13, 11:52 PM
Hooray for the introduction of Rowan and Martin! :smallcool:
Seconded! :smallbiggrin:

FoE
2008-08-21, 03:22 PM
So at last we get to meet Hyraxx ...

And yet another tough-as-nails alien proves to be no match for the awesomeness of Buck Godot. :smallbiggrin:

Ramien
2008-08-21, 10:24 PM
That's gotta be one heck of a potato masher...

Ganurath
2008-08-22, 03:18 AM
So at last we get to meet Hyraxx ...

And yet another tough-as-nails alien proves to be no match for the awesomeness of Buck Godot. :smallbiggrin:Well, that's not fair to the lovely lady with the incredibly powerful legs relative to the rest of her curvacious figure. She seems like the type to value information, and thus may be a 'Save the human' type ninja, ergo no attempt to harm him.

Gez
2008-08-22, 04:32 AM
That's gotta be one heck of a potato masher...
Still no match for the Hoffmannite Throwing spoon.

Well, that's not fair to the lovely lady with the incredibly powerful legs relative to the rest of her curvaceous figure. She seems like the type to value information, and thus may be a 'Save the human' type ninja, ergo no attempt to harm him.
As Nof wouldn't say because he's dead, she may value information, but she doesn't value information givers.

Speaking of her curvaceousness, she is called High Racks. :smallcool:

Ganurath
2008-08-22, 10:46 AM
Speaking of her curvaceousness, she is called High Racks. :smallcool:And the heavyset subrace of humans are apparently related to "Off, man!" Look at all the innuendo the Foglios have going.

Evil DM Mark3
2008-08-22, 11:18 AM
And the heavyset subrace of humans are apparently related to "Off, man!" Look at all the innuendo the Foglios have going.

He is a Hoffmanite from new Hoffman. I thought that was more likely a reference to one of the many athletes and similar that wikipedia will provide with.

Evil DM Mark3
2008-08-26, 02:28 AM
Dusk sculpting. What a nice, cheap, hobby.

Occasional Sage
2008-08-26, 02:35 AM

I need one of those. All the cheap hobbies I have aren't so nice.

Ganurath
2008-08-26, 03:14 AM
Now that's what I call aggressive negociation.

BRC
2008-08-26, 07:09 AM
Now that's what I call aggressive negociation.
Huzzah for Hoffamites! The universal Door Openers!

sihnfahl
2008-08-26, 09:17 AM
Dusk or dust?

Aidan305
2008-08-26, 09:24 AM
Dust.

Though I wouldn't mind being able to sculpt Dusks. Mmmm. Sunsets.

Midnight Lurker
2008-08-26, 01:09 PM
He is a Hoffmanite from new Hoffman. I thought that was more likely a reference to one of the many athletes and similar that wikipedia will provide with.It's a reference to a friend of his, a heavyset security guard named something-Buckley who works at Hoffman Estates.

Evil DM Mark3
2008-08-28, 04:14 PM
Hmm. Now the Kleg are interesting. They have meaning. Fun.

John Campbell
2008-08-29, 11:00 AM
They're jerks.

Evil DM Mark3
2008-08-29, 11:34 AM
Jerks with reason behind them. They are allready deeper than several long standing DD races.

Oracle_Hunter
2008-08-29, 11:56 AM
Jerks with reason behind them. They are allready deeper than several long standing DD races.

Ooo, burn on Mookie! :smallbiggrin:

Honestly though, I really, really like the Kleg. Not only are they jerks, but they're paranoid, ineffectual jerks. They are the perfect Butt Monkeys (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ButtMonkey) for the Buck Godot to whale on.

FoE
2008-09-02, 12:11 PM
Why does new update schedule make FoE angry? FOE SMASH PUNY UPDATE SCHEDULE! :smallfurious:

Oracle_Hunter
2008-09-02, 12:14 PM
Why does new update schedule make FoE angry? FOE SMASH PUNY UPDATE SCHEDULE! :smallfurious:

Wait, what new schedule? I always just figured that Cheyenne just got behind of coloring Buck Godot when convention time came 'round. It's annoying, but far better for Buck to be slow on the update than GG.

Tirian
2008-09-02, 02:44 PM
I don't believe they perceive this to be missing the schedule. They say that Buck Godot updates Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday, but they do not say that it updates at 12:01 on the US east coast. Evidently, it has been a minor irritation to the Foglios that they are expected to meet that obligation for Girl Genius, and that we should be awestruck that they keep that commitment rather than greedy for more. (And, in fact, I am.)

It disappoints me too, because I really like to be able to look forward to having fresh (to me, at least) Foglio webcomic goodness to enjoy with my morning beverage every day of the week. I suppose that I should just switch my schedule so that I assume that Buck Godot will be updates at midnight on Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday and that coming in a few hours early is just their normal Sneaky Gate operations.

Gez
2008-09-02, 04:56 PM
Wait, what new schedule? I always just figured that Cheyenne just got behind of coloring Buck Godot when convention time came 'round. It's annoying, but far better for Buck to be slow on the update than GG.

As awesome as GG is, I'd rather the reverse personally. The MWF-to-TTS ratio in my daily webcomic diet is heavy enough as it is. :smalltongue:

Porthos
2008-09-02, 08:45 PM
Regardless, the new BG is up. :smallsmile:

An excellent solution, and justification, from the Kleg (anyone think Mookie would have thought of that? :smallamused: ) about the current predicament, I think.

And a rather interesting development on the last panel.

BRC
2008-09-02, 08:47 PM
Wait, I thought the Klexigal were notoriously cheap. Why would they pay buck to do something he was going to do anyway.

MeklorIlavator
2008-09-02, 08:51 PM
Wait, I thought the Klexigal were notoriously cheap. Why would they pay buck to do something he was going to do anyway.

I think its to maintain the facade: they can hardly hire someone to do work if they don't pay them.

Oracle_Hunter
2008-09-02, 08:52 PM

Because if they don't hire Buck, then he can go out and blab about the virus and that the Kleg are responsible. Or anything else he feels like blabbing - since he's the "last human" on the station, it seems like whatever the Pogs find would go into his hands.

Also: Hyraxx really does look much better in color. Man, I can't wait till they color Issue Seven :smallsmile:

Midnight Lurker
2008-09-02, 08:58 PM
Man, I can't wait till they color Issue Seven :smallsmile:So, y'think the... really awesome and unexpected set piece of which I will not speak... will be blank white, or weirdly psychedelic, or what? :smallbiggrin:

Oracle_Hunter
2008-09-02, 09:16 PM
So, y'think the... really awesome and unexpected set piece of which I will not speak... will be blank white, or weirdly psychedelic, or what? :smallbiggrin:

Hmm...
Definitely purples and reds - like veins - with some sort of clashing colors for the background. I'm thinking warm colors, sort of like it is pulsing with energy.

The tentacles will be purple

FoE
2008-09-03, 12:16 AM
Ah. Good to see Nice Raxx is back. :smalltongue:

Evil DM Mark3
2008-09-03, 03:29 AM
Why would the Keggs pay 500 a day? From what I have seen, 500 a day IS cheap for a government on a short term contract.

Porthos
2008-09-04, 05:50 PM
Ohhhh. Bad Ass Credentials.... Established.

You all will laugh and laugh and laugh when you discover what she does for a living. :smalltongue:

Oracle_Hunter
2008-09-04, 05:54 PM
Ohhhh. Bad Ass Credentials.... Established.

You all will laugh and laugh and laugh when you discover what she does for a living. :smalltongue:

TV Trope Plug: Waif Fu (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/WaifFu)

FoE
2008-09-04, 05:58 PM
What, is Hyraxx a child or something? If so, Phil Foglio is a monster for giving a child a figure like that. :smalltongue:

2008-09-04, 06:00 PM
Well, this is an alien species. Who are we to judge what their young look like?

Evil DM Mark3
2008-09-04, 06:02 PM
Hmm.

Well, it ain't high explosives, but this does seem a little, soft :smallwink: