PDA

View Full Version : Auromar, IC 2

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7

Greyen
2007-12-16, 03:06 PM
Dothen

Dothen chuckles Which part, the playing or the cheating?

Moral Wiz
2007-12-16, 03:19 PM
Hist

Heh. Cheating those guys looks like a sure way to the cemetery. No, I mean just strategy. That way I can try and get those guys to like us at least. And that in turn might be an "in" for the guild at large; but I need to up my game with superior strategy... Hold on...

Hist turns to Anura, a smile on his face.

Anura; I don't suppose you could take brief time away from the study of ancient arcane mysteries in order to lean a card game, and help me with stratergy? As I said that might be a way in to the guild's good graces, and I doubt that could be altogether bad. Between you and Dothen, I should be able to control the game enough to get those players on my side, and that could lead to the rest of the guild.

Greyen
2007-12-16, 04:18 PM
Dothen

I wouldn't worry about them too much. They will be delivering some stuff in the next few days or so if I heard Dreck right. That alone means we have at least some good grace with them. Well that and the fact that we walked out of there in one piece.

Dothen walks quietly home to the inn, pointing out a house here or there that seems in decent repair.

Moral Wiz
2007-12-16, 04:26 PM
Hist

True. But gaining allies amoungst these men can be no bad thing surely? In any case, I'll still try it. A game or two could do me good.

Hist continues back to the inn.

Greyen
2007-12-16, 04:41 PM
Dothen

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'll help ya with your game as much as I can. You already know you are a better player than I am. I got too many tells, I been told playing with me can be no fun, everyone knows I got a good hand before I can play it. But I can maybe show you a few underhanded tactics that few poeple will think about.

Heck lets play tonight, bet a beer a hand? Who ever falls over first looses?

Moral Wiz
2007-12-16, 04:52 PM
Hist

I'll take that! Anura, I don't know if you'd care to join our game here, but my request for help still stands. Would you object to taking some time to learn the game, and create another tactic or two?

The Warlock beams at his friends, regardless of Anura's answer as they come in sight of the Inn.

guardinal
2007-12-16, 08:01 PM
Dreck nods to Anura, before motioning at one of the tables. A burly man quits the dice game and comes and collects the items, before taking them to the other door, knocking, and then entering. He is in there a few minutes before returning, empty handed.

"I'd say it's been a pleasure doing business with you, but it really hasn't." Dreck smiles at this. "Delivery will be in no more than three days for your requested items."

Anu
Anura bows graciously. "Thank you for your time and assistance. I am sure we will find reason to do business again. I for one, will look forward to our next opportunity for...negotiations."

Anura will follow Dothen and the others out, when they have concluded their own business.

guardinal
2007-12-16, 08:16 PM
Dothen

Dothen will throw his knifves a few more times, keeping an eye on his partners. Once Anura is finished he will give Hist a pat on the shoulder and a Lets go When everyone is ready he will lead them out.

Once back in the street he will lead them back on a circuitous rout back to the inn. On the way back he says to them,Well now we know about them and they for sure know about us.

As for the training facilities Hist, I am sure they have something but until they trust me I woun't find out anymore. It was a big no-no to bring this many people on the first day, but they will get over it.

I think we may want to take over one of these abandoned houses out here a ways. That one looks nice, there are others still in decent shape too. It would give us more room and a more private place to work and train. Once I can get affiliated with the guild we should be pretty safe from burglary unless its from an unguilded rogue, but I can mark the house to show guild affiliation.

What do you all think?

Anu
Anura seems puzzled that the group is taking a circuitous route back through the city but doesn't object.

She listens to Dothen's comments and considers them in silence for a moment as they walk.

"Claiming a house seems a fine idea, particularly while we have the run of the place. Reid and I can also use our magic, or any of use could use the lyre, to modify it however we wish, or set up some wards. But I confess that I am much less keen on affiliating with the local thieves' guild, openly or otherwise. I guess it is something to consider."

guardinal
2007-12-16, 08:21 PM
Hist
Hist turns to Anura, a smile on his face.

Anura; I don't suppose you could take brief time away from the study of ancient arcane mysteries in order to lean a card game, and help me with stratergy? As I said that might be a way in to the guild's good graces, and I doubt that could be altogether bad. Between you and Dothen, I should be able to control the game enough to get those players on my side, and that could lead to the rest of the guild.

Anu
Anura shrugs. "Cards games are not really my thing, but I certainly know how to play. We can run a hand or two tonight if you wish."

Anura concentrates on watching their surroundings carefully on the long walk back to the inn.

Greyen
2007-12-17, 03:30 AM
Dothen

Dothen says jokingly to Anura You betting a glass of wine to our beers? First to fall over wins? He turns to Freeman grinning, How about you big guy? A quart of oil per game, if you in.

nekosama
2007-12-17, 06:44 AM
Freeman

Anura glances up at Freeman. “Unless there is anything in particular you need, my friend? About half of this is going to you.”

"The only want that I can think of friend Anura is a pack that is similar to yours. I carry little normally but is seems so efficient that I would like to have one. "

Originally Posted by Greyen
Dothen

Dothen will throw his knifves a few more times, keeping an eye on his partners. Once Anura is finished he will give Hist a pat on the shoulder and a Lets go When everyone is ready he will lead them out.

Once back in the street he will lead them back on a circuitous rout back to the inn. On the way back he says to them,Well now we know about them and they for sure know about us.

As for the training facilities Hist, I am sure they have something but until they trust me I woun't find out anymore. It was a big no-no to bring this many people on the first day, but they will get over it.

I think we may want to take over one of these abandoned houses out here a ways. That one looks nice, there are others still in decent shape too. It would give us more room and a more private place to work and train. Once I can get affiliated with the guild we should be pretty safe from burglary unless its from an unguilded rogue, but I can mark the house to show guild affiliation.

What do you all think?

"I too have reservations about making a house that we claim with thieves markings. While I want to judge each thief individually I would not want to show that I support or tacitly accept organized thievery. But that is maybe we can discuss later. I am sure we can come up with some sort of compromise."

Originally Posted by Greyen
Dothen
He turns to Freeman grinning, How about you big guy? A quart of oil per game, if you in.

"I will let you know Dothen that I am fully self lubricating and only rarely have to use lubricants due to any areas of personal dryness. However, I am fully versed in the game and would be happy to play. Some of the human soldiers taught me to play and eventually end up rueing that they taught me. I found that due to their drunkenness and eventual sleep deprivation that in the long run that I could end up quite ahead by the end of the night. With your proposed drawback of intoxication I am not sure how I could play and there be a even playing field."

Greyen
2007-12-17, 07:34 AM
Dothen

Ahh, I'm jus' ribbin' ya about the oil my friend. I dunno much about your kind, and I thought maybe that's what ya'll drink ta loosen up. Ya know.

As for marking the house, it would be to show local thieves that one of their own leves there. Its something I can do subtley to keep them from trying too hard to rob us. Nothing more. I would make sure ta not mark it with ta indicate something like "safehouse" or anything else.

guardinal
2007-12-17, 10:37 AM
Anu
Anura raises one eyebrow slightly. "Ah. So you're thinking that with such a mark our group would gain some level of protection for ourselves from the guild, but we would be under no obligation to them for anything in return? Is that really how such arrangements normally work?"

Greyen
2007-12-17, 11:13 AM
Dothen

Not really, its more of a honor system thing. If you kow someone that is affiliated to your guild lives here, you are much less likely to rob it. As he can, at least in the previous guilds I have been in, bring some drama into the guild about " Who robbed my house?"

Do you understand that? There is no actual obligation for anyone to do anything just a mutual understanding not to. Dothen is obviously uncomfortable speaking about thieves guild activities, and is having a hard time explaining too.

Moral Wiz
2007-12-17, 11:43 AM
Hist

I get it, I think. The guild would rather steal from someone totally un-related to them, than from the house of someone who works with them. After all, that leaves the victim hardly likely to expend all efforts on helping his guild mates. No actual code, and no guarentee but an understanding; am I correct?

guardinal
2007-12-17, 11:49 AM
Dothen

Not really, its more of a honor system thing. If you kow someone that is affiliated to your guild lives here, you are much less likely to rob it. As he can, at least in the previous guilds I have been in, bring some drama into the guild about " Who robbed my house?"

Do you understand that? There is no actual obligation for anyone to do anything just a mutual understanding not to. Dothen is obviously uncomfortable speaking about thieves guild activities, and is having a hard time explaining too.

Anu
Anura looks skeptical. "I guess I understand, but I'm still not sure it is something I want to be a part of without knowing more about these people. And while I understand why openly affiliating with the local thieves would be helpful to you, just keep in mind that it would have consequences all of us."

She walks in silence for a few moments. "I'm just saying that we shouldn't rush into this, you know?" she says quietly. "We made friendly contact with the Eras underworld, which is a good thing. And we have made a very useful contact in Saer Dreck. A few weeks or months down the line, when we know the local politics and the nature of the guild a bit better, we can decide if and how we want to develop those relationships. Making plans to 'win them over' with high-stakes card games or putting guild signs on our hypothetical houses seems a little premature after only one hour-long visit."

Moral Wiz
2007-12-17, 12:24 PM
Anu
Anura looks skeptical. "I guess I understand, but I'm still not sure it is something I want to be a part of without knowing more about these people. And while I understand why openly affiliating with the local thieves would be helpful to you, just keep in mind that it would have consequences all of us."

She walks in silence for a few moments. "I'm just saying that we shouldn't rush into this, you know?" she says quietly. "We made friendly contact with the Eras underworld, which is a good thing. And we have made a very useful contact in Saer Dreck. A few weeks or months down the line, when we know the local politics and the nature of the guild a bit better, we can decide if and how we want to develop those relationships. Making plans to 'win them over' with high-stakes card games or putting guild signs on our hypothetical houses seems a little premature after only one hour-long visit."

Hist

With all respect Anura, I don't think you have the situation worked out quite right.

Hist is keeping lightharted, and he smiles as he continues.

No one sugested we steal seven sack loads of prescious artifacts from the authority, hand it over to Dreck, and then boast of the fact. All that Dothen had in mind was a sign, in this "thief's sign" code thing, that basicly says "A guild thief lives there" if he ever got into the guild. That is hardly likely to cause serious concequences.

And all I had in mind was just a couple of "friendly" games with that crowd we saw before. No elabourate master plan; no high stakes games leaving the looser with nothing but his clothes, but simply playing the odd game with them, talking now and then, trying to win them over as friends. It is usefull to know people in any organisation, no?

I'm sorry, but I can't see how either of those could affect us.

Greyen
2007-12-17, 12:42 PM
Dothen

I think I see what she means. She is trying to keep us out of trouble wit the law. I have known lawkeepers who know sign. Dothen pauses for a moment before mumbling They are the worst...

But, anyways I was jusy going to mark one small bit to keep potential robbers out. If we are away exploring it might be nice to come home to a house that isn't trashed by some guy just off the boat looking for a quick easy job. I know I would like to have some other place to look forward to returning to than "second room on the left"

guardinal
2007-12-17, 12:43 PM
Hist
"I'm sorry, but I can't see how either of those could affect us.

Anu
Anura shrugs. "That is exactly why I am concerned. Just be careful who and what you chose to involve yourself with, because it will affect all of us. Alright?"

Moral Wiz
2007-12-17, 01:21 PM
Hist

Hist grits his teath at Anura's manner, but makes no comment. Then, after a moment, he actually laughs, but the smile afterwards is a tad bittersweet..

You're right, of course. Disreputable associations might be bad for us, but still, as I said, a few contacts can do no harm.

Greyen
2007-12-17, 01:42 PM
Dothen

Dothen cracks a smile after thought obviously crosses his transparent mind. He elbows Hist grinning and says You know what you forgot to say.... Dothen pauses for a moment before continuing as if he had been chastised as a child Yes, mom

Moral Wiz
2007-12-17, 02:07 PM
Hist

The warlock took up the joke in utter earnest.

No, no no. I am shocked, Dothen, that you would believe I'd ever use that one on Anura

Especially as she suits the part of Pyrosian officer far better. Down to the manner, the wine, the impecable social skills and incredably conservitive orders. All she needs is the uniform. Are you sure you never had a commision, Marm?

Hist salutes Anura in Pyrosian style at the last word, his perfection adding to the joke. He was beaming broardly.

GimliFett
2007-12-17, 02:09 PM
Grazys Senneker

Smiling at his friends' interplay, Grazys chuckles. "Seems y'all had a good time out! What went down?"

guardinal
2007-12-17, 02:23 PM
Anu
Anura says nothing. Obviously preoccupied, she continues to study their surroundings for danger as they follow Dothen on the long, confusing route back through the empty city.

Not sure what time of day it is, but Anura will call back her 'mage armor' spell with a pearl of power and cast the spell again if it has faded, or will fade soon.

EDIT: Did we make it back to the inn without incident? I didn't want to assume that.

Lochar
2007-12-17, 02:34 PM
Yes, you'll make it back safely. Those of you paranoid enough will note that there is an occasional person on the roofs as you head back, but you won't be bothered.

Moral Wiz
2007-12-17, 02:41 PM
Hist

The warlock notes Anura's paranoia with a smile, but makes no jibe upon it. In fact, after a while he too could be observed, from time to time, looking around.

When they got back to the Inn, Hist laughed at Garyaz.

Who first? I played Ante with a collection of men who looked rather dangerous, and miraculously managed to avoid loosing money.

GimliFett
2007-12-17, 03:08 PM
Grazys Senneker

Grazys chuckles. "That's not the most ringing endorsement fer gettin' into a game I've ever heard, Hist. Come play with me, I don't lose!" the binder winks. "Still, if ya promise ta teach me the rules, all of 'em, before we play, I'll give it a go, mate!"

guardinal
2007-12-17, 03:10 PM
Anu
Anura sits down on the bed, obviously tired, and rubs her eyes slightly.

"Dothen got us there. I can't speak for what the others found out, if anything, but Freeman and I arranged our sales to Dreck. He has all the minor magical items we were going to sell, but we held onto the permanent items until they make payment. Full price this time, though I can't promise that we can manage that again.

"Freeman and I also learned some pretty interesting information. This is not just a wildcat thieves' guild. Dreck...or whoever he works for...apparently has several sets of ring gates- a kind of small, portable portal- which are powerful enough to reach all the way to Pyrosia and Tellos. Even one set of these things would be pretty hefty magic for any merchant to have access to, even one in the magical item trade. So it seems likely that the guild has serious financial and magical backing, from someone or a group of someones with real power and clout.

"Dreck also seemed to know Viris personally. Not too surprising, really, but interesting. What was more interesting, and maybe a little alarming, is that he also somehow knew that we had recovered a wooden ring with powerful magic that we didn't give up to the authorities. So I have to assume that either a copy of Viris' report got into his hands almost immediately after we left the expedition authority, or they have had someone with magical ability scope us out at least once or twice since we've been in town, while I was still wearing the ring. Those guys at the gate, maybe, or someone we haven't even seen."

"Assuming Dreck comes through with his payment, I see no reason why we can't go to him for other trades or sales in the future. But beyond that, I think we should be very cautious about what kind of relationship we want to have with Dreck and the local underworld until we know a lot more about their agenda."

Anura gets an uncomfortable look in her eyes and seems about to say something else, but after a moment she just glances at Hist and winks. "But apparently that opinion is just overly cautious, stick-in-the-mud, mother-hen talk," she says dryly. "Hist says there is nothing to worry about."

Moral Wiz
2007-12-17, 03:29 PM
Hist

The warlock for once pays attention to Anura's words; the referance to the ring-gates in perticular piquing his interets. Because of his attention, he catches the look in Anura's eye as she nears the end, and seems suprised. In concequence, her remak caught him a tad of guard. He looks taken aback for a moment, then smiles.

I wouldn't go quite that far, but my sugestion of playing another round of Ante with the rank and file hardly counts as joining up, and pillaging from the authority's vaults. Developing friends in any orginisation is always a positive, irrespective of if you plan close association in future. Hell, it's far less an association that giving them our buisness, which is somthing you seem fully prepared to do.

GimliFett
2007-12-17, 03:34 PM
Grazys Senneker

Nodding, the binder purses his lips. "I'd have ta agree with Anura. Until we know what their agenda is, let's not consider them anything more than business associates, eh?" He pauses a moment, considering. "I'm not one to foment distrust, but they've obviously got some power behind 'em. Let's tread carefully, hm?"

Toliudar
2007-12-17, 05:10 PM
Reid

Reid is a bit uncomfortable with the whole "dealing with organized crime" stories, but keeps his thoughts to himself. When Anura mentions the wooden ring, he reflexively cups the hand wearing it in his other hand, stroking it gently. Finally, he speaks...slowly and with a measured, thoughtful tone.

So far, we've gotten by just fine with salvage and gifts. I'm not eager for us to be doing too much with these people in order to stretch a few extra coins.

He glances quickly at Dothen.

No offence intended, of course!

It does sound likely that this...Dreck...is either a friend of Viris or is getting information from one of the other agents, which means that, sadly, we will need to be as careful as we can be with information we provide to them. Which is a shame. I'd have been delighted to share the good word about Krista. But if it falls into hands that might find ways to abuse that knowledge...

Eager to change the subject, Reid turns to Hist.

So! You're still up for scouting tomorrow for a place to practice?

Moral Wiz
2007-12-17, 05:53 PM
Hist

The warlock seems distracted, and actually rather upset about somthing, but catches Reid's address, and smiles brightly in responce

Certianly! There were more than one or two places on the route that would suffice; and from what I remember when I asked in Kithas, the authority dosn't charge for taking up an abandoned building. We'd have to check that of course, and register with them even if it was true, but it might form a good base camp, and we'd have a place to train and practise our skills.

That sound like a good idea?

Toliudar
2007-12-17, 05:59 PM
Reid

Happy to be talking about something other than Eras' burgeoning underworld, Reid smiles.

Absolutely. Anyone else care to join us?

GimliFett
2007-12-17, 06:01 PM
Grazys Senneker

Grazys stands and arches his back, eliciting several loud pops. "Aaah. Better. Yeah, I'm up for it. A walk'd be nice, now."

nekosama
2007-12-17, 06:45 PM
Freeman

"I am up for exploring, playing cards, or what ever others want. I am tempted to go find a forge but I am not going to do that until we have a secure location. I look forward to our coming time in town with out immediate need to leave. I want to get to know some of the poor here and see what I can do to help them help themselves."

guardinal
2007-12-17, 07:06 PM
Anu
Anura also stands, though after the day's travel and two long bouts of negotiations she looks tired.

EDIT:
OOC: because I am confused myself...

"So...are we talking about going out again now, as Grazys suggests? Or are we talking about plans for tomorrow, as Reid suggests?"

nekosama
2007-12-17, 11:29 PM
Freeman

"I am ready, but I am always ready. I am up for going now, tomorrow, or both. "

Toliudar
2007-12-17, 11:43 PM
Reid

The priest smiles at Freeman's enthusiasm, but does not stand.

Freeman, I only wish I had your energy. As for me, it's been a long day, and I could use a quiet evening and a night in bed. Tomorrow, with Hist providing demolition, Freeman the transportation and me the occasional bits of construction - and perhaps Grazys and the lyre, if he wouldn't mind - I'm sure that we'll be able to pull together a comfortable home - perhaps close enough to some vacant buildings that Hist will have the privacy he seeks.

So, I say - you should stay and play cards tonight. There will be time to build tomorrow. Hmm. Freeman, once we get a place that's habitable, perhaps I could help you in seeking out the destitute to assist. We could help shore up housing for them. I could provide a few nourishing meals. You're right! There is much good that we could do in this city.

guardinal
2007-12-18, 02:24 AM
Anu
Anura smiles. "It sounds like you have a very busy few days ahead of you."

She sits down on the bed and pulls out the Boccob tome. "After dinner I'm going to hang out in the tavern for a bit to hear what's been happening while we've been away. Any company would be welcome."

EDIT: If someone or multiple someones are going to be in the room the whole time, Anura will leave her haversack in the chest before going downstairs.

Anura's intentions for the evening is to have a light meal, then spend a few hours in the tavern chatting with locals or with Dar about recent goings-on before turning in early. If Hist and Dothen corral her into a card game she will play two hands.

She will be sleeping in a rope trick space above her bed (free, for once, of ill-washed adventurers), after giving herself and her equipment a good scouring with 'prestidigitation.'

gather information: [roll0] after [roll1] hours
intelligence check (for card game): [roll2]
intelligence check (for card game): [roll3]

Greyen
2007-12-18, 02:28 AM
Dothen

Dothen watches the ongoing conversation quietly. He says nothing about conversing with the Den. He quickly and quietly checks his gear and locks it into the chest. I'll get dinner sent up, along with a few bottles. He says as he slips out the door.

He makes his way down stairs and approaches Dar, Goodsear Dar, would it be a problem to send up dinner for us six and a few pitchers of beer and a couple bottles of wine?

Lochar
2007-12-18, 04:31 PM
Dar nods to Dothen. "You can take it up if you want. Give me about twenty minutes to get the cook to have it all together."

Anura:
There's talk of a large haul being taken from the continent. No one knows who managed it, but apparently it's the largest haul brought in so far. There's a general feeling that most would like to figure out how these people managed it, but the expedition authority isn't releasing names. Torm is here, drinking away his pay again. He's about half way drunk at the moment, and mentions he knows at least one of the people that came back today.

Lochar
2007-12-18, 04:36 PM
Dar nods to Dothen. "You can take it up if you want. Give me about twenty minutes to get the cook to have it all together."

Anura:
There's talk of a large haul being taken from the continent. No one knows who managed it, but apparently it's the largest haul brought in so far. There's a general feeling that most would like to figure out how these people managed it, but the expedition authority isn't releasing names. Torm is here, drinking away his pay again. He's about half way drunk at the moment, and mentions he knows at least one of the people that came back today.

Lochar
2007-12-18, 04:40 PM

Anura:

GimliFett
2007-12-18, 04:57 PM
Grazys Senneker

Getting his fill of the cleric and paladin discussing plans to better the poor of Eras, Grazys leans back in his bed and laces his fingers together once more. It's nice to not have to sleep a full night, but sometimes...not so much, he thinks to himself, then smiles thinly then speaks to the pair directly. "Gonna teach 'em ta be blacksmiths, Freeman? Have a whole posse o' blacksmiths in this little town 'fore ya know it! Good idea! Teach a man ta fish, an' all, eh?"

Greyen
2007-12-18, 05:47 PM
Dothen

Dothen thanks Dar and hauls a table upstairs thumpingly. He porps the door open a nd moves the table into the room. The looks at everyone else and says Got ta get yer own chairs. HE turns around and heads backs down for his own chair.

When everyone has returned with a chair he is shuffling cards and walking them across the table ready for the others to play.

Toliudar
2007-12-18, 06:08 PM
Reid

Reid gets up in time to help Dothen through the door with the table.

I'm afraid I've no head for such games. A colleague at the seminary nicknamed me "Mark", which is a noble enough name I suppose. Never really understood. Mind if I just watch?

He has taken out a small piece of paper, and is going over and over some words he's written - crossing one out, cribbing one in.

guardinal
2007-12-18, 06:40 PM
Anu
Rather than tromping downstairs for a chair, Anura sits on the bed and picks up her cards.

Earlier rolls for card games:
intelligence check (for card game): (1d20+5)[12]
intelligence check (for card game): (1d20+5)[23]

I'm assuming the results of the 'gather information' check are not available to her yet.

Lochar
2007-12-18, 08:38 PM
Correct, you need to spend the hours downstairs first.

Greyen
2007-12-19, 11:43 AM
Dothen

Dothen deals the cards swiftly to those who are playing. His face shows clearly the kind of hands he is dealing with. He swears when he draws what he considers a poor card and his eyes light up when he draws something beneficial. Lying and cheating are ovbiously not his strong points even though his fingers dance on the cards.

Int checks for the first two hands
[roll0]
[roll1]

guardinal
2007-12-19, 01:33 PM
Anu
Having been dealt a weak hand, Anura plays a fairly low-key strategy for most of the first game. She is able to set up a clever gambit with her Druid card and turn the tables, at least momentarily, on the competitors in stronger positions, but the successful flight leaves her open to retaliation...

In the second game she manages to snag Tiamat and a number of stronger evil dragons and is considerably more aggressive, launching flight after flight with merciless efficiency, and moving quickly to exploit any apparent weaknesses in her opponent's strategies. The hoard piles up in front of her, but whether she is able to hold onto it until the end remains to be seen...

not clear who else is playing or who wins, but in the interests of moving forward...

When the second game is over, and having 'settled' any drinks that need drinking on her part, Anura leans back with a sigh. "Well, that was diverting. Dare I hope our dinners are ready?"

After dinner Anura heads downstairs to skulk around for a few hours, as previously noted, leaving her own haversack with Dothen's in the chest. She will retrieve it when she comes back a few hours later to retire for the evening.

Lochar
2007-12-19, 07:58 PM
As practice games, you all just play for tokens and fun. Winners aren't really declared, but you all get at least some experience in playing.

Anura goes downstairs and listens in to the other patrons of the tavern, getting the general feel of the town, getting hit on a few times by both overly drunk idiots and the mostly still sober people, but nothing exciting.

The next few days are filled with you all going out in small groups, scouting out the town, looking for a decent place to take over and rebuild to base yourselves out of and not have to stay out in the open in the tavern/inn the whole time.

On the third day, when you all come downstairs, Dar waves you over. He scowls at Dothen. "There's a reason I scratched through those signs, boy. I wanted this place clean of intrigue. And you bring it right back." He points over at the table near the post where the second sign was at. Dreck is sitting there with two others, calmly eating breakfast. There is a single glove sitting on the table between the three. "I know who he is, and damn it all, I don't want any underhanded business in here."

guardinal
2007-12-19, 10:26 PM
Anu
Anura glances at the gnome and his compatriots, and looks back to Dar with a sigh.

"On behalf of our group, I sincerely apologize," Anura says in a low voice. "It did not occur to me that meeting him here would be a problem, but I understand why you feel we are putting you in a difficult position.

"In this case, though, we are legally selling him only a handful of items, and in return he has procured for us only coin, trade bars, and a few magical components. Nothing illegal is changing hands. So, perhaps just this once you could allow us to complete our transaction here? I promise you that it will never happen again."

use enhance attribute: +2Cha for 5min as free action, and then

diplomacy check [roll0] hoping to win this concession from Dar. Perhaps some kind of modifier is in order, since we did him the big favor of returning his family axe?

Lochar
2007-12-19, 10:33 PM
Dar looks between Anura and Dothen, considering. "Alright." he says finally, quietly. "This time. But I'll also give you some free advice. Dreck's fair, when it suits him and his reputation." He then scowls at Dothen. "Next time, maybe you'll pick neutral ground to meet at? I saw you reading the marks, and figured you'd go there. Since you can read them, you should know the crossouts mean I don't want anything going on here. Only reason I'm allowing it is you all brought back the family heirloom."

Dar turns and walks back to the bar, scowling at Dreck once before ignoring the lot of you.

Greyen
2007-12-19, 11:19 PM
Dothen

Dar, I apologize. I dinnae mean ta bring them here. Dothen ducks his head, sincerely apologetic to the man.

guardinal
2007-12-19, 11:54 PM
For the record, Anura has been pretty scarce over the last few days as she is concentrating on learning new spells from the odd tome she picked up after the battle with the treant. Apart from 'tutoring' Grazys in whatever capacity he wishes and assisting with the house plans she has mostly kept to the inn.

Anu
After Dar moves away, Anura nods to Dreck to acknowledge his presence.

If he doesn't wave her over immediately, she has a seat somewhere in the tavern and waits, apparently at ease, for him to finish his meal.

If he does signal her to approach she will do so and take a seat.

Lochar
2007-12-20, 12:06 AM
Dreck does wave Anura over once their issue with Dar has been settled. When she sits down, he pushes aside his meal. "Ah, Miss Anura. Lovely day, isn't it?" He smiles. "Are we ready to conclude our business?"

guardinal
2007-12-20, 01:00 AM
Anu
Anura matches Dreck's easy smile. "Indeed," she says quietly. "Though I think we have spoiled Dar's morning. Shall we make our trade here, or upstairs?"

Lochar
2007-12-20, 08:13 AM
"Either way, although you might not want anyone else in here to see all you get."

guardinal
2007-12-20, 09:35 AM
Anu
Apart from the six of us, Dreck and Co, and Dar, how many people are in the tavern?

"An excellent point. When you have finished your meal, please come on up. I suggest we keep our meeting brief, so as not to irritate our host overmuch."

If Dreck seems agreeable to this, Anura rises with a respectful nod and heads back to the group.

"Dothen, Freeman, if his companions come up with him, perhaps you could do the same, to keep the numbers even? Wrapping this up should not take too long." she says quietly.

When Anura gets back to the room, she will cast 'appraising touch' on herself (with no verbal component, if she thinks she might be overheard) and sets the items for trade out on the group's borrowed table.

Lochar
2007-12-20, 09:43 AM
Three others eating breakfast, closest one is about 20 feet away from Dreck's table. There are several other patrons of the inn part of the tavern, you're not sure how many are still in the building, but you know that there are at least eight others renting out rooms.

"I was just waiting on you all anyways. Ordering breakfast was a dig at Dar, at best. We've never gotten along." He nods towards Dar as he stands to follow Anura and whoever else up.

Dar is studiously ignoring you all currently.

Greyen
2007-12-20, 09:43 AM
Dothen

Dothen nods to Dreck and the others and heads up to the room where he will take a corner to lean in, out of the way but a clear route to the table if trouble comes.

guardinal
2007-12-20, 09:57 AM
Anu
When the small group assembles upstairs, Anura calmly pulls out the party's trade items and lays them on the table.

Lochar
2007-12-20, 10:32 AM
Dreck nods, pulling the glove on that he'd had sitting at the table downstairs. A snap of his fingers, and a little miniature chest appears in his hand. Tapping the chest with his finger, a much larger version of the chest appears next to him. The chest is gilded gold and inlaid with several expensive looking gems.

Dreck ignores anyone else and the two with him open the chest, keeping an eye on Anura and the others in the room. Dreck leans over and pulls a few bags out of the chest, followed by the requested items. He places them on the table. "Gem dust, jeweler's monocle, jeweler's tools, writing implements of high enough quality for magical writings, tailor's materials. Sixteen thousand gold in tradebars, plus a bag of eight hundred eleven gold coins. Did I miss anything?"

guardinal
2007-12-20, 10:50 AM
Anu
Anura looks everything over and nods. "That was our agreement." She smiles. "Since this is the first time we've done a trade, and since I see you don't object to flashing a bit of magic during trades, may I cast a few divinations so that I can look things over properly? Gem dust is a bit tricky to price at the best of times, in my experience."

If Dreck doesn't object, Anura casts her 'appraising touch' spell and checks out the items to assure their worth. She also casts 'detect magic' and scans the trade bars for the telltell aura that confirms their legitimacy.

diplomacy [roll0] to avoid offending Dreck with this request.
Taking '10' on appraise checks, with 'appraising touch' her result would be 25

spellcraft check [roll1] and
lore check [roll2] to identify the glove/chest magical effect or item

Also, in response to Anura's question Freeman requested a Heward's Handy Haversack as part of his share, though his response came after we had already concluded negotiations.

Lochar
2007-12-20, 11:48 AM
Dreck smiles easily. "Not a problem. I want you to make sure you've gotten everything you require."

Everything checks out as good. The effects are a glove of storing, and the chest is Leomund's Secret Chest.

As the HHH is under 4000, it is easy enough to pick one up around town, consider the Gather Info check already done in the past couple of days to find someone willing to sell you one, once you have the money.

guardinal
2007-12-20, 04:16 PM
Dreck smiles easily. "Not a problem. I want you to make sure you've gotten everything you require."

Anu
Anura studies the items for a few moments with her enhanced senses, then sits back with a nod.

"Everything seems to be in order. Not that I expected otherwise. Saer Dreck, it has been a pleasure doing business with you. When next we return with magical goods to sell, I am sure we will be in touch."

Lochar
2007-12-20, 04:50 PM
"And you as well." He motions to the other two and they pick up the chest. Dreck pockets the miniature chest and they take their leave.

guardinal
2007-12-20, 05:12 PM
Anu
Anura rises politely when Dreck leaves, then sits down again and sorts out her own equipment from the rest, and divides up the remaining treasure for the rest of the group according to her notes.

"Shall we just put this in your chest for now?" she asks Dothen. "One of us should probably stand watch until everyone claims their share. I can wait on having breakfast if you want to go back down now."

Greyen
2007-12-20, 05:28 PM
Dothen

I'll sit on it fer now. You go eat and face Dar and sweaten him up up.

guardinal
2007-12-20, 07:28 PM
Anu
Anura makes a face. "Right. I guess it is a good thing that we're claiming our own place, hmm?"

Anura goes downstairs for breakfast.

Lochar
2007-12-20, 11:04 PM
Going downstairs, Dreck is gone and Dar is quietly working at the bar. He looks up when Anura sits down.

"What'll it be?" His voice is friendlier now that Dreck is gone.

guardinal
2007-12-21, 12:45 AM
Anu
"How about just some porridge and some dried fruit," she says. Glancing at the doorway, she lowers her voice. "Again, sorry about earlier. I gather that you two have a history?"

Lochar
2007-12-21, 07:01 AM
Dar nods. "Let me get them started on the food in the kitchen." Dar gets your meal started in the back and then returns. "It'll be out in a bit."

He taps his fingers on the bar, nodding. "Yeah, I was part of that little run before I lost my brother. I tried to get them to help me retrieve my brother, but they wouldn't go for it. Or help me pay for a cleric back in Pyros to resurrect him."

Greyen
2007-12-21, 08:09 AM
Dothen

Sitting bored upstairs on guard, Dothen busies himself by carving on the box. Simple designs, nothing too fanciful or skillful for that matter. He spends however long carving a large semi demonic face into the top of the chest. Most notably to his friends will be the fact that the demon has two mouths.

Woodcarving - [roll0]

nekosama
2007-12-21, 09:21 AM
Freeman

"If you are hungry Dothen by all means go and eat. I was not planning on leaving the room for an hour or so and it seems what ever you are tying to do with that box is not turning out like you want. Give it a fresh start after you have some food in you."

Greyen
2007-12-21, 09:47 AM
Dothen

Ahh you're right friend. Some days things just don't quite go your way. Dothen cleans up his mess quickly and heads downstairs.

Dothen walks downstair hands in his pcokets and looks around. He nods to Dar Sorry about that friend, dinnae mean to bring bad blood between us.

What's fer breakfast?

Sitting down across from Anura he says Mind if I join yer?

GimliFett
2007-12-21, 12:50 PM
Grazys Senneker

Grazys joins the pair at breakfast. "Mind if I bop in fer a bite? I'm starved!" The binder pulls up a chair and sits in it.

Toliudar
2007-12-21, 01:54 PM
Reid

Reid bounds down the stairs after Grazys. The priest was boyish before, but now, without the restrictive armour and after a few days of hard labour, he is positively glowing. Too distracted to ask first, he joins the others at the table.

I think I've found a sun symbol! There was an old ship figurehead which featured a kind of lady with bright, waving hair, washed up two nights ago. I've gotten it for a song, an absolute song, and with a little adjustment, I think that the head will make an excellent centrepiece to the shrine.

He slows down, taking in Dothen's slightly downturned mood.

Everything okay?

guardinal
2007-12-21, 02:08 PM
He taps his fingers on the bar, nodding. "Yeah, I was part of that little run before I lost my brother. I tried to get them to help me retrieve my brother, but they wouldn't go for it. Or help me pay for a cleric back in Pyros to resurrect him."

Anu
"Hmmm. Well, I can understand the hard feelings." Anura seems inclined to let the matter drop.

guardinal
2007-12-22, 05:09 PM
Reid
He slows down, taking in Dothen's slightly downturned mood.

Everything okay?

Anu
assuming Dar is out of easy earshot...

Anura finally shrugs, when Dothen doesn't answer. "A misstep on our part. It seems neither Dreck nor his business are welcome here," she says quietly. "In any case, our trade is concluded. Everyone's share of the funds are upstairs with Freeman."

Anura finishes her breakfast in short order and heads back upstairs to resume her studies.

Toliudar
2007-12-22, 05:25 PM
Reid

Rubbing his palms on his pants uneasily, Reid glances furtively over at Dothen, and rises.

Well, I think that's a very solid business principle.

He manages a smile.

Dothen, I'll be spending the morning putting the finishing touches on the shrine. Your help is always welcome.

And he is off.

Greyen
2007-12-22, 06:24 PM
Dothen

Dothen pops his head up from his food. Oblivious to what was going on around him "Huh what? Yeah, I'lll be along in a few." Dothen finishes up the last bite of food and heads up stairs.

He gathers his pack and asks Freeman You want me to take this with me? I'm going to go help Reid. You coming? Or you gonna have Anura watch it?

Greyen
2007-12-26, 11:28 AM
A few days later - (unless someone objects)

Dothen

At one of the nightly meals, at the new house, that Dothen has cooked he will broach a sensitive subject that obviously makes him nervous to talk about. He sits and says bluntly You all prolly already guessed, but I joined up with the Thieves Guild here in Eras. Mostly for a source of thieves tools and what not, but for information and a little protection from them.

He pauses for a moment, and looks at their reactions. Ok, if you have ta yell at me fer it now is the time.

GimliFett
2007-12-26, 11:42 AM
Grazys Senneker

The binder shrugs. "Meh. As long as they don't expect us," Grazys waves to include the group as a whole, "ta cover ya or anythin' like that. An' they keep to the code, or whatever, an' not mess with us. I'd feel pretty sorry for them messin' with us, though." Chuckling, he takes another bite of the meal. "Finally, as long as ya don't get us all dragged inta somethin', I don't see any problems with it, ultimately," he concludes with another bite.

Greyen
2007-12-26, 11:55 AM
dothen

Being dragged into something shouldn't be a problem, I've made no promises except ta abide by the code. They are a fairly group for such a small community here. I dinnae think they expect anything outta ya'll except ta be marks, which ya'll are to any thief. No offense but that's how most thieves think. I have since learned a few lessons since I thought like tha, but I can remeber seeing everyone on the street like a potential portable wallet. Just seemed to be a smart idear to associate with them on at least the lowest level for access to what they have, which can be more than anyone else, in a place like this.

guardinal
2007-12-26, 03:21 PM
Anu
Anura shrugs. "Seems wiser than trying to operate independently, I think, since they know you already. But if at some point you decide you want to put thieves' marks on the house we are building, I would like to know about it beforehand."

Greyen
2007-12-26, 03:51 PM
Dothen

No worries there. The only reason fer that would be to mark it as my home, like a dog pissing on a tree. Not the best description but it works. If its marked there is less of a chance they break in while we are out.

GimliFett
2007-12-27, 10:45 AM
Grazys Senneker

Grazys had just started drinking when Dothen made his comparison. What began as a laugh turned into a snort as the beverage traveled through the wrong tubes and came out the binder's nose. Alternating between laughing, coughing and snorting, Grazys tries to smile at the rogue's descriptive talents. "Oof. That hurt!" he manages between spasms. When he could finally manage to speak clearly, Grazys claps Dothen on the back. "I don't think we'll have anythin' ta worry 'bout, hm?"

Greyen
2007-12-27, 01:02 PM
Dothen

Well, if there is a break-in and someone trashes the place when we are out next jus expect a nice big 'tol' you so' from me.

GimliFett
2007-12-27, 01:15 PM
Grazys Senneker

Nodding, Grazys replies. "Fair 'nuff. If that happens, I plan on removing the guild from this city. Permanent-like," he adds with a broad smile and a shrug as he takes a long pull on his drink. "An' I'd expect your help."

Greyen
2007-12-27, 01:45 PM
Dothen

Oh, I'd help but I don't 'spect we could do it. I think if we take on that temple in town, an cleanse it, we could very well do and have some locals on our side to keep watch fer us. Plus that might very well be some impetus fer Reid's bosses ta send him some helpers maybe. When are we gonna be doing that anyway?

guardinal
2007-12-27, 05:50 PM
Anu
Anu smiles a bit at Dothen's 'colorful' description of his intended thieves' marks.

"Well, if you still feel advertising your affiliation won't cause trouble for the rest of us, I will trust your judgement.

As for investigating the temple, I believe we agreed to do so on the morning after tomorrow."

Greyen
2007-12-29, 10:07 AM
The morning after the next ---

Dothen

Dothen rechecks his equipment and then leads the way down the road to the temple of the One.

GimliFett
2007-12-31, 11:07 AM
Grazys Senneker

As the group prepares to head out, Grazys draws them all together. "Wait, please! I'm trying to decide how best to aid this situation. One of my first thoughts is to summon an image of our group and send it in beforehand, to see what sort of response we'll see and allow the 'loth to expend some effort uselessly. With Haures bound, I can create major illusions. As far as the 'loth goes, what do we know of it's abilities, resistances and weaknesses?"

Meant to do this sooner, but busy weekends and all...

Toliudar
2008-01-01, 08:32 AM
Reid

The priest is attired again in his habitual plate armour, now polished up and gleaming. Leaning in to talk with the others, he seemed eager for this rematch with the 'loth - and the holy symbol. He thinks about Grazys' question.

Well, last time, it used fear against us to split us up, and had the power to climb up onto ceilings. It knew the room, and seemed to use the power there against us. The sanctum of the One there...makes it harder to connect with Pelor. I don't know if that will affect any of the spirits that you connect with, Grazys.

I suppose that we could send in a fake version of us, if you like. Maybe just those of us who went in before, with Siriphae? If it attacks outside of that blasted chamber, we'll be in much better shape. Inside there, it seemed to gain power and protection from a blot that's on the floor there.

He glances around at his companions.

If it doesn't attack us outside of that chamber, I suggest that we pause in our explorations, and I can bring down a few of Pelor's protections, each of which will last only a short time. Prayers designed to toughen our resolve and our courage, and to keep anything from sneaking up on us invisibly.

If it still doesn't show itself, I have prepared spells which are designed to sever the links between a place of evil and its source, and I will try to use them there.

nekosama
2008-01-01, 09:33 AM
Freeman

"I have been curious about this temple for weeks now and I am glade that we are soon to be off. "

guardinal
2008-01-02, 10:57 AM
Anu
Anura shrugs. "I honestly don't think the demon is still there, but it makes sense to be prepared. I can be ready to try and counter any hostile magics or provide enhancements for combat."

Toliudar
2008-01-02, 09:06 PM
Reid

Reid grins at Anura.

As Pelor says, "The sun shines brightest on those who have brought an umbrella. A little preparation this time, and perhaps we'll be able to lessen the impact of this stain in the very heart of the new-rising city.

Greyen
2008-01-03, 09:49 AM
Dothen

Everyone is here. Are we all ready to do this?

GimliFett
2008-01-03, 10:41 AM
Grazys Senneker

The binder nods. "I'll bring up the illusion as soon as we're close enough ta walk 'em in an' around. Reid, Hist, myself and Siriphae. I'll try my best to draw some response as quickly as possible, hm?"

Toliudar
2008-01-04, 10:45 AM
Reid

The priest seems relieved that they are on their way. He shifts his shield into position, and maintains a low, murmuring prayer as they approach the (literally, he hoped) godforsaken temple.

Moral Wiz
2008-01-04, 04:30 PM
Hist

The warlock has been keeping himself to himself for some time. He seems to be brooding on somthing. He followes along to the temple in silence.

I'm back. At LAST! Sorry; consider Hist MIA for much of the prior time. He has genuinly had things to think about.

guardinal
2008-01-05, 05:13 PM
Anu
Anura quietly casts a few prep spells and gingerly dons the hand of glory before following after the others into the temple.

casting 'mage armor,' 'heart of air,' 'heart of water,' 'heart of earth', and 'dragonsight' (all with a 9h duration), an (extended) 'message' spell (3h duration) targetting all party members, and finally 'detect magic' (9min duration).

Greyen
2008-01-05, 06:02 PM
Dothen

Dothen unsheathes his weapons and leads the way into the temple. HE moves quiety and slowly. He whispers into the link Gimme a warning if I am about to step on something nasty.

Move Silently [roll0]
Hide (if possible) [roll1]

Moral Wiz
2008-01-06, 12:28 PM
Hist

As the group starts entering the temple, Hist is stationary for a moment, starting work on a few wards. After several seconds, he moves forward to join the others

I have to say, I'd give passible odds nothing is here. Still, preparation can't hurt.

He whispers through the link to Anura.

One thing. Any idea of clensing this temple... Fine with me, I'll be the first to smash the alter... But the circle you'll see in a moment is probably the source of my powers. For all they are a curse to me, I am not overfond of the idea of it coming down, who knows what the hell that would do. It could be seen as trying to nullify the contract, an offence usually punishable by death.

So, feel free to examine it, but any atempt to destroy it may be betting with my life. I trust you understand?

Lochar
2008-01-06, 10:32 PM
You all easily approach the dilapidated temple to the One, drawing a few curious looks from the others in the town, but no direct comments. You get the feeling everyone before has throughly searched and trashed the temple with their guard up as well, since there are no comments.

Entering the foyer area, you again have three choices of direction to go. Straight ahead is the main temple area, about forty feet from the entrance doors through mostly open double doors. You can see the burned in circle in the center of the room as light streams into it from windows above. The altar and pastor stand still are there, standing as they were before.

To your left and right the hall goes off for a bit before going into other rooms you all have searched before. Left is a couple of old storage rooms and a small sleeping area with room for three to four people. Right is another sleeping area, and several small prayer rooms.

guardinal
2008-01-07, 02:31 AM
Anu
Staying well back (at least 10ft.) from any odd runes, markings, etc. on the floor or otherwise, and taking care to stay behind other party members, Anura scans the room with 'detect magic,' trying to make sense of what she sees.

knowledge (arcana) [roll0]
knowledge (religion) [roll1]
knowledge (the Planes) [roll2]
spellcraft [roll3] (adjusted for school)

Greyen
2008-01-07, 03:29 PM
Dothen

Dothen whispers into the link as he pauses at the first junction.Which way? To the main area?

GimliFett
2008-01-07, 04:51 PM
Grazys Senneker

The binder creates an illusion of Hist, Reid, Siriphae and himself and directs it into the main area of the temple. The illusion of the warlock flies a few feet off the ground, but the other three proceed on foot: Reid first, Siriphae second and Grazys' illusion last.

"Let's see if we can draw something out in the main area first," he whispers.

Moral Wiz
2008-01-09, 05:36 AM
Hist

Hist blinks as he sees the circle. He wants to go forward, to examine it... but no. Caution, for now, must be a virtue. He waits for Grazys' illusionary party to enter the room, to ensure nothing reacted to them.

Lochar
2008-01-09, 07:11 AM
The illusionary quartet moves into the main area of the altar room. They can enter and mill about, but nothing happens to them.

Toliudar
2008-01-09, 08:42 AM
Reid

Remember that the sun rises no sooner if you run towards it.

Finding patience, Reid stands still and waits for Anu and the illusions to do their work. Eventually he whispers.

Good to proceed?

When given the go-ahead, Reid will offer up blessings from Pelor for all.

Casting Protection from Evil on Anura, Bear's Endurance on himself, Mass Shield of Faith on the group, and Bless. Net effect:
Shield of faith - +3 Deflection bonus to AC
Bless - +1 morale bonus to attacks and saves vs fear

Lochar
2008-01-09, 08:49 AM
@Anura
Your detect magic doesn't pick up any auras you didn't already expect. The other PCs fairly well glow with their items, and if you edge close enough to the entrance to the altar room, the circle in the middle is within the 60' mark to see the evil abjurations. You aren't close enough to the altar to catch it in the spell range. There are no auras of an invisible person and/or creature as far as your 60' detect can see.

GimliFett
2008-01-09, 12:01 PM
Grazys Senneker

The binder maneuvers the illusion throughout the central area, seemingly investigating things as they did the last time they were present. He then moves them into the adjoining chamber as he whispers into the link, "Looks clear," and chuckles softly.

Toliudar
2008-01-10, 01:24 AM
Reid

Reid nods, and hefts his mace. He walks towards the symbol on the far side of the room, deliberately making himself a target for anything that might have managed to avoid detection. He gives the central scorched area a wide berth as he does so.

Moral Wiz
2008-01-10, 02:32 AM
Hist

Hist, upon being told of the illusion's fate, immedietly walks straight ahead, towards the circle, and seems to be examining it. It would be hared to notice his message to Anura.

Let's bait the trap. I'm ready for it. It might come from the celing, it can walk on it. That was what it tried last time. If it's not here, we'll know soon enough.

[roll0] Bluff to pretend to examine the circle. In reality, readies an action to El blast anyone who approaches with hostile intent (including from the celing, as that was what the Loth tried before).

If the loth dosn't come, after a while, [roll1] Knowledge arcana on the circle, with DM on.

Greyen
2008-01-10, 07:43 AM
Dothen

Dothen slips into the room skirting the walls. He edges into the corner nearest the door and up the wall using his spider climb. He is prepared to leap at any intruders. He holds his magical dagger in his teeth, hidden as well as he can in the shadows near the roof.

Hide [roll0]

nekosama
2008-01-10, 08:28 AM
Freeman

Freeman will hang back a bit since he was not here the first time. He knows from experience the he is not quite so will try to substitute stealth with a bit of distance. Wary his friends might get in trouble he has his huge bow strung and is watching for any non-friendly movement.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Lochar
2008-01-10, 08:57 AM
Freeman hangs back near the door, covering his friends as they enter.

Dothen slides into the room, hugging the walls, but realizes that without anything to hide behind, his main way to hide is to pray Reid and Hist's more boisterous entrance would draw attention away from him. Dothen goes right up the wall near the pews that have been pushed off to one side. Once he is actually up in the shadows above the room, he is able to hide a bit in the shadows. If he wasn't seen and tracked prior to that, at least.

Reid and Hist enter the room with no fanfare, but not hiding their presense as well. Hist moves directly to the circle, studying it for a bit while Reid dodges the whole thing, heading towards the altar area. Hist seems entirely focused on the circle, but you can notice a certain tenseness in him as he waits. Reid stops in front of the symbol of the One. It shows no marks from his previous attempt at destroying it.

The room is quiet as you all move around.

@Dothen:
The windows that allow light into the room are stained glass, to your untrained eye very well made. Especially if they've lasted a thousand years of neglect. They're much bigger than you, probably panes of 10-12'. They depict scenes of battle, with the image of the One's icon directing armies. There is one pane that has the One standing victorious over a white winged figure. You don't know what the figure is.

@Hist
The room is quiet while you wait for anything to happen. As you get closer to the circle, you actually see the magical energy of the area strengthen, quite possible from your presense. You can't tell what it does, but you do actually feel a slight strengthening of your own abilities. Not enough to actually do anything. You have the idea that the closer to the circle you get, the stronger your powers are.

@Anura
As you watch the room for magical auras, you notice the abjuration of the burned circle in the middle of the room react to Hist's approach by getting stronger. The aura goes from moderate to strong. The altar at the other end of the room, if you enter thirty feet to see it's spells, don't react to Hist's getting closer to the circle.

Conditional: If Hist crosses into the circle (which he hasn't yet) the aura goes to overwhelming. Detect magic ends and you're dazed for [roll0] rounds.

Greyen
2008-01-10, 09:13 AM
Dothen

Dothen slides around the room staying in the corners by the roof. He makes sure to get a good look at all of the windows. He is tense and keeps wel clear of being directly over and altar or circle. He whispers into the link Hey Anura, who's this winged guy in the glass pictures? Do you think we can sell these windows?

Moral Wiz
2008-01-10, 09:16 AM
Hist

Hmm.

My power feels stronger here. I'm guessing that it'd be the circle. I think...

Hist seems reflective, and stands still for a moment. He looks closely at the circle with magic sight, trying to see if it is diferent from last time. Finally, if it seems the same, he steps into the circle, very much on guard against any effects.

[roll0] spellcraft check. But I don't think it's needed. Hist can probably remember what the aura looks like from before.

Lochar
2008-01-10, 09:30 AM
Hist sees nothing different about the circle's aura from the last time he was here.

@Hist:

The aura of the circle gets stronger, remember? It went from moderate to strong. :P
When you step in:

You feel the energy in the circle swell up as you loose control of your detect magic ability. It winks out just as you see the aura crest into an overwhelming strength, only the detect magic ability going out keeps you from being dazed and stunned. The energy circles you before infusing you somewhat. You feel the powers that are grafted into your soul strengthen a bit, although you can also feel that there is much more strengthening that can be done, if only you could figure it out.

While your in the circle:
Only roll half your EB damage. The other half is maximized.

There are other effects, but you haven't triggered them. Or figured out how to trigger them. UMD will be useless for this, by the way.

@Anura:
As previously stated, you are dazed for those rounds.

When Hist steps into the circle, you see the magics flare high and overwhelmingly strong. The magics of the circle seem to be drawn into his body slightly.

Moral Wiz
2008-01-10, 11:52 AM
Hist

Hist blinks as he steps into the circle. He whispers excitedly into the link.

Anura, can you see?... Oh. Sorry.

He is genuinly appologetic.

Are you all right? No little suprises in there?

GimliFett
2008-01-10, 12:10 PM
Grazys Senneker

Grazys keeps Reid and Hist in the corner of his eye as he moves to continue directing the illusory group into the storage room and sleeping area.

Lochar
2008-01-10, 02:17 PM
The illusions have no problem going where Grazys directs them, so long as he keeps them in sight.

((You can have them walk to the doors in the storage rooms and sleeping areas without leaving the main area, but they can't walk in with you making an Int check and a Concentration check to remember the way the rooms were set up and to direct them without seeing them.))

GimliFett
2008-01-10, 02:29 PM
Grazys Senneker

The binder moves to the doorway to keep an eye on his illusion, then concentrates as he directs them into the the next room while he remains in place.

Int check: [roll0]
Concentration: [roll1]
Balam's Cunning (reroll): [roll2] plus whichever modifier... Probably for Concentration. :smallbiggrin:

Lochar
2008-01-10, 02:31 PM
Grazys is able to remember how the rooms are laid out, but isn't sure that his illusions are actually walking around how things are set up, they're likely passing through things as often as actually walking around them.

If someone was watching them, they're probably not quite believing they're real people at the moment.

GimliFett
2008-01-10, 02:35 PM
Grazys Senneker

"Ack! Better check on it, hm?" Grazys says to himself as he heads down the corridor in the direction of his illusion.

Lochar
2008-01-10, 02:45 PM
When Grazys sticks his head into the room the illusions are currently in, yes, one of them has stopped halfway into an overturned chair, and Hist's floating image has floated his head halfway into the ceiling.

GimliFett
2008-01-10, 03:08 PM
Grazys Senneker

With a rueful chuckle, Grazys comments. "Okay, boys! Let's check out the other side of the temple, hm?" With that he directs the illusion ahead of himself and proceeds to the other wing.

When Gimli sticks his head into the room the illusions are currently in, yes, one of them has stopped halfway into an overturned chair, and Hist's floating image has floated his head halfway into the ceiling.
Whoo-HOO! I've transcended reality into a virtual world! :smallbiggrin:

Lochar
2008-01-10, 03:13 PM
Grazys will find more of the same. Empty rooms and damaged and destroyed furniture.

((Fixed it.))

GimliFett
2008-01-10, 03:16 PM
Grazys Senneker

Somewhat downcast, Grazys allows the illusion to drop and returns to the main room with the others. "Doesn't look like anyone's home," he says.

Moral Wiz
2008-01-10, 03:47 PM
Hist

Hist has been experementig with his elredich forces whirlst Garyaz has been gone. The mytic energies seem to burn more strongly than before, even though Hist is carefull not to actually try to use a large blast.

Either that, or they didn't fall for illusions. Can't some creatures see through them?

Regardless... Anura, if you're feeling better, prehaps you'd better explore this place; I' have admit, you could probably catch more than I could. Besides, I'd like to see if the power granted by the circle can be improved. I get the impression that it could be, but I'm not overkeen of tempting fate.

GimliFett
2008-01-10, 03:53 PM
Grazys Senneker

The binder perks up as Hist speaks. "The circle is granting power? Interesting... It would double as a binding sign very easily, by the way. I wonder if there's a correllation," Grazys says as he walks towards Hist, an animated look upon his face.

Knowledge (arcana): [roll0]
Knowledge (religion): [roll1]
Knowledge (the planes): [roll2]

Lochar
2008-01-10, 04:00 PM
Grazys:
This isn't a binding circle as you're used to it, but with minor modifications, you could actually make a circle that contact whatever the source of power is behind it. You're fairly certain it isn't a vestage circle, but if you could summon up whatever is behind the power, you could likely bargain for a part of it as you do with your normal vestages.

Moral Wiz
2008-01-10, 04:16 PM
Hist

Possibly. It seems to be related to my own powers; so I assume it is what binds them to me. I wouldn't know anything about it's uses for your art; but feel free to examine it. Just try not to damage it, I couldn't say with any degree of clarity what that would do.

Hist steps outside the circle as he says this, allowing Grazys to take a closer look. He then flies up to Dothen, to check on what's he's up to

What have you found up here?

Hist speaks aloud now that there seems no threat of the fiend's attack.

Greyen
2008-01-10, 04:23 PM
Dothen

Dothen looks at Hist and points ot the images of the winged person fighting the One. Rec'nize anyone?

Moral Wiz
2008-01-10, 04:31 PM
Hist

Hist studies the central figure for a few moments. Then ... his wings fade? He falls towards the ground, and only just manages to correct himself in time. He is soon back at Dothen's level. He looks indiscribably grim, and his tone backs that up to a fault. He outright barks at his friend, in a manner that would not be out of place in a military. He may be grim, but you can tell he is feeling emotional.

Get down. And get Reid up here. Now. He needs to look at this; in case I'm wrong.

[roll0]Knowledge religon to identify the windows. As they are icons of the One, any bonus for Hist being Pyrosian? He probably picked somthing up, as it was suposedly a more or less all encompassing religon from what you said.

What is this? The temple of backround revelations? ;p

GimliFett
2008-01-10, 04:47 PM
Grazys Senneker

As soon as Hist steps out of the circle, Grazys moves in like a vulture on carrion, grinning like a child in a candy shop. His mind works to ascertain the proper adjustments necessary to alter the circle into a vestige's seal - or more probably into The One's seal. He does not actually touch anything at the moment, wanting to see if the adjustments would damage the warlock's link before proceeding.

The world around him seems to dim as he focuses wholly on his target.

Lochar
2008-01-10, 04:56 PM
Grazys:
What you're looking at now is not what I told you earlier could be the One's seal. That is the symbol of the One that stands above the altar.

This is a seperate binding circle, on the ground. You still want to go ahead?

GimliFett
2008-01-10, 05:14 PM
Lochar:Ayup. Sorry to the folks'! I think I need to expel someone first, though. Correct?

Lochar
2008-01-10, 05:27 PM
Grazys:
Ayep, you'd need to drop a vestige. Just pick one and drop it, no need to go through the removal ritual, just note it. As you make the appropriate changes in your mindset between a standard vestige circle and this, you can feel the power in the circle stretch out to you. Apparently, just aligning your thinking to using the circle activated something latent in it. It is apparently waiting to be used, now that Hist is out of it.

Anyone who turns on Detect magic after Hist steps out of the burned in circle:
The circle's strength dissapaites from it's overwhelming aura back down to strong, and then once more to moderate. As Grazys starts looking over the circle, the aura flickers for a moment, shifting.
Anura:
You're the only one with a high enough spellcraft to actually understand this. The circle is apparently reacting with Grazy's binder abilities, opening itself up to allowing him to attempt to contact something using the circle like a vestige binding circle.

GimliFett
2008-01-10, 05:32 PM
Grazys Senneker

Instinctively, Grazys drops his connection to Balam, still wanting to continue his binding with Haures as he had not had a chance to fully explore the vestige's abilities. He reaches out to the circle and concentrates on it as he attempts to manipulate the seal.

Moral Wiz
2008-01-10, 05:35 PM
Hist

Hist is still staring at the glass window. He seems to be reflecting to himself; unfortunatly, this means that he dosn't spot Grazys' activities.

Err... What are you doing, Gimli?:smallconfused::smalleek:

Lochar
2008-01-10, 08:01 PM
Grazys:
Although nothing seems to happen to the circle itself, you hear a voice talk directly to you mind.

"What an interesting mortal. You wish to bargain for something, then? I can sense the aura of other spirits inhabiting you. I am Grahf, Seeker of Power."

Greyen
2008-01-10, 11:35 PM
Dothen

Dothen dealing with Hist, and the stained glass is distracting him from the goings on on the floor. He calls down to Reid Reid, can ye come up here fer a sec. I think me an Hist found someting important.

guardinal
2008-01-11, 12:04 AM
Anu
Anura is walking around cautiously, scanning the room and the various auras with obvious interest. She does not notice Hist's rash act until it is too late.

"Hist, I don't think that's...Aaaaah!"

She has barely recovered from being stunned when Grazys steps into the circle himself. She shakes her head in disbelief.

"Well, I'm starting to understand how you all managed to set a fiend lose the last time you were here," she says, with some anger.

Anura activates the hand of glory, then draws out her detect magic wand and studies the binder and the circle.

So, 'detect invisibility' is added to her current low light vision/darkvision/blindsense.

spellcraft check to try and determine what Grazys is doing. [roll0]

Also, spellcraft check to try and guess what might happen if the circle were broken or disrupted in some way.[roll1]

Lochar
2008-01-11, 07:20 AM
Anura:
See the previous detect magic for what's going on with Grazys.

If the circle were broken or disrupted, there's quite a bit of power in it. Backlash of large proportions. Or whatever is binding Hist's power to him might instead come play in this material plane.

nekosama
2008-01-11, 09:06 AM
Freeman

Hearing Anura cry Freeman rushes in and trys to see what caused her distress.

"What is happening?"

Toliudar
2008-01-11, 09:25 AM
Reid

Having moved through the room to the altar and the symbol beyond, Reid watches a bit nervously as Hist and Grazys experiment with the scorch mark.

Dothen's voice distracts him, and he glances up at the stained glass window.

Er. Sure thing, Dothen.

On his way over, Reid searches his memory for any stories that would place the winged figure.

[roll0] Knowledge religion

Lochar
2008-01-11, 09:33 AM
Reid would need to activate his Ebon Fly to gain enough height to see what Dothen and Hist are looking at.

And once you do, yes you recognize this.

It is a Planetar. More specifically, one of Pelor's personal servant Planetars that is being subjugated by the One in this glass plane.

GimliFett
2008-01-11, 09:36 AM
Grazys Senneker

Lochar:Intrigued, it takes the binder less than a second to decide. He focuses his thoughts back towards the voice. I too am a seeker of power, Grahf. Perhaps we can come ta an arrangement? I give you an opportunity ta experience tha world again and you empower me with your gifts.

Lochar
2008-01-11, 09:50 AM
Grazys:
"Mortal, I am no ordinary spirit as you bind. I am not lost to the world as they are. Should we come to an accord, your binding with me would be permanent. I can grant you unfathomable powers. What do you wish to give up, in exchange for my powers? The more you wish to give up, the more I will grant to you."

OOC-Note, if Grazys accepts this offer, there is actual, statistical benefits and drawbacks to this accord.

GimliFett
2008-01-11, 10:03 AM
Grazys Senneker

Lochar:The binder pauses, considering Grahf's offer and whom the being might be. Tell me more of yourself, that I may make an informed decision. Grazys replies through the thought-link to Grahf.

Inwardly, he asks himself another question. I wonder if you are the being which attacked us on our first visit here?

OOC:Knowledge (arcana): [roll0]
Knowledge (religion): [roll1]
Knowledge (the planes): [roll2]

Toliudar
2008-01-11, 10:10 AM
Reid

Buzzing closer to his two companions, Reid puts out a hand to the window, sadly, to stroke the wing of the figure in white.

It wasn't only humans who suffered in the battle with the One. This is Rae Aurum, a devoted servant and companion to Pelor for millenia. I...mourn her loss. What the One put here in mockery and triumph, I celebrate now as a memory of the spirit and sacrifice of a noble spirit.

Lochar
2008-01-11, 10:10 AM
Grazys:
"What is it you most desire? Strength of body? Strength of Mind? I can change your body to be that which you wished you were, or I can strengthen that which you are now. You bind spirits now, would you not like to bind more powerful spirits, not just those lost in the void? Ones that have true power, not that which is limited in ability? The more of yourself you give to me, the more I will have to work with and empower you with."

Greyen
2008-01-11, 10:19 AM
Dothen

Dothen looks at Reid and says Maybe we can avenge that one. Any of these other windows mean anything to ya? Dothen pauses for a moment thinking. Does actual sunlight do anything to corruption like that junk on the floor? I dunno what them spell slingers down there are doing with that circle thingum, but I do know that it gives me the heebie-jeebies at that junk. What needs ta happen fer this place ta be cleansed?

GimliFett
2008-01-11, 10:26 AM
Grazys Senneker

Lochar:The binder chuckles silently. Strength of Mind, hm? That's a scary thought. It's pretty good already, he answers, admitting his conceit. Another pause. Tell me more of these other spirits.

OOC:Anything from my knowledge checks?

Lochar
2008-01-11, 10:36 AM
Grazys:
"Those spirits that are outsiders to your plane. I can give you the ability to summon and bind those that have powers you do not, and you may make free use of them and their power."

As for your checks:
You've heard before that there are being from other planes that have the ability to empower mortals. Powers such as Hist's actually most likely come from the same type of thing. Contracts made are binding to the one giving power. If they promise you something, you WILL get it. Conversely, as a mortal, you are not bound to the contract. You may break it, but the one granting power usually includes clauses of stripping your empowerment from you and even more dire consequences.

Toliudar
2008-01-11, 11:37 AM
Reid

The priest glances around at the other windows and grimaces.

Similar profanations. Ah, the banality of evil. Dothen, I'm hoping to start the cleansing by getting rid of that holy symbol on the wall back there, and then going through a ritual to sever the link between the altar and whatever is left of The One. And I guess it's time to get to work!

He shifts his shield onto his back, and buzzes back down to the altar, and the holy symbol on the wall behind it.

Well, folks. Unless any of you object, I'll be laying into this now.

Moral Wiz
2008-01-11, 11:44 AM
Reid

Buzzing closer to his two companions, Reid puts out a hand to the window, sadly, to stroke the wing of the figure in white.

It wasn't only humans who suffered in the battle with the One. This is Rae Aurum, a devoted servant and companion to Pelor for millenia. I...mourn her loss. What the One put here in mockery and triumph, I celebrate now as a memory of the spirit and sacrifice of a noble spirit.

Hist

Reids remarks compel Hist to study the window more closly. When he does so, he lets out a laugh, then quickly shats his mouth.

I am sorry. That was totally uncalled for. It's mearly that I mistook her for... someone else. Someone of the same station.

He actually makes a Pelorite sign at the figure, as if in apolagy.

And Dothen? I'm afraid that circle's mine. It somehow seals my powers to me. Yes;

He holds up his hands at the inevitable objection.

I know that makes no sence, let alone the question of why it is here of all places, on a continent that has been sealed from the earth for an age, but there it is. And I don't know what destroying it would do. Kill me for trying to break my father's contract is a possibility. That's why I told Anura to be careful with it. I don't know yet if she listened to me though.

GimliFett
2008-01-11, 11:47 AM
Grazys Senneker

Lochar:The binder purses his lips as he considers the situation, and remains completely oblivious to the goings-on around him. Hmm. The body is a fleeting thing. It will weaken of its own accord over time, I'd rather have greater strength of mind, as you put it. Very well. Strength of mind and the summoning of truly available spirits and their power. What sort of payment and terms do you require? Grazys arches an eyebrow in anticipation of Grahf's response.

Lochar
2008-01-11, 11:56 AM
Grazys:
"You will wear the sign of this contract until you pass beyond forever. It is a small scar upon your back and another mark upon the back of your hand. It signifies your contract and will require the spirits you summon to submit to your will. You will agree to never attack another who bears my mark upon them. In strengthening your mind, your body will pay. You will lose five years of your life in trade."

"Should you break the contract, all power you have accumulated through me shall be revoked, yet you will not regain that which you have paid to gain it. Those you have summoned and bound will be given free knowledge of your whereabouts at any time, should they wish to seek retribution."

Are we in agreeance?"

Toliudar
2008-01-11, 12:08 PM
Reid

The priest hesitates. It is clear that he is torn between concern for Hist and a deep distrust of this space.

But...But...Well, do you have any idea whether there's a link between the mark on the floor and the symbol on the wall. Perhaps this is a golden opportunity to separate this site of power from the taint of the One. Replacing it with a greater, more fulsome power.

Moral Wiz
2008-01-11, 12:13 PM
Hist

Hmm... the mark is indeed seperate from any magic on the altar, or any cast to "consecrate," in the loosest possible sence, the temple to the One. However, it is still black magic I fear. What would your spell do?

GimliFett
2008-01-11, 12:21 PM
Grazys Senneker

Lochar:The binder mentally nods. Agreed. Sounds like a decent trade, to me, Grahf. How will I know those who bear your mark? I'd assume some would cover it, and there are other factors along those lines. Am I able to defend myself should one attack me?

Lochar
2008-01-11, 01:08 PM
Grazys:
"You will recognize those with my mark, for it will resonate with you. They are under the same restrictions as you will be, so if they attack you, they will lose my empowerment. Should that happen, I would be more than pleased if you killed them."

"Then our compact is sealed."

Those with detect magic on and paying attention to Grazys:
The circle seems to grow in power, not to an overwhelming aura like previously, but to a very strong power level. The power of the circle actually moves, the aura enveloping Grazys and entering him.

Everyone in the room hears a voice in their mind. "May our bargain be profitable, mortal!"

Before your eyes, Grazys shudders in agony for but a moment, not even long enough for him to drop to the ground before his pain goes away. The burned in circle on the ground seems to flare for a moment before returning to normal, as Grazys own body flares with the same power. A symbol appears on the binder's hand.

For those who make a 15 spot, or if Grazys shows you:
The mark is a pair of red and black spirals. The red one goes clockwise, the blackone counterclockwise. They interlace with each other.
K: Religion 30 check:
It is the mark of a daemon controller. All low powered demons, devils, and other evil outsiders fear this mark, as if used properly can command them. The command is unique to it's bearer, and can be unique in the way it commands as well.

Detect magic on the circle reveals:
The aura is back to the way it was previously. There appears to be no change.

Grazys:
For an instant, one that seemed like forever yet you know lasted less than a blink of an eye, the power overwhelmed you. It seemed to burn straight through you, sealing itself to you. You mind was flooded with knowledge, knowledge of dark creatures, even as it expanded to contain this knowledge. Then a circle appeared, surrounding them and holding them, binding them in waiting. Waiting for you.

Burned into your back, you can feel the mark of Grahf. You cannot see it yourself, but you know what it looks like. It is a blackened, burned face, grinning.

On the back of your dominate hand, a black and red pair of spirals has appeared. The red spiral goes clockwise, the black goes counterclockwise. The spirals interlace. This is the symbol for your binding control.
OOC knowledge:

1: You gain a +4 profane bonus split any way you want between Wis, Int, and Cha. You cannot reassign this bonus once you do so.
2: If you were of any Good alignment, you immediately shift to Neutral in that respect. You don't go evil if you were Neutral.
3: A number of times a day equal to the number of vestiges you can bind at once, you may instead draw Grahf's binding circle. Through this binding circle, you may summon any outsider with the evil subtype from the SRD that has HD equal to or less than one half your binder level. You may choose two of their Salient Qualities and take them for the 24 hours of binding. If you choose something such as Damage reduction, they do not stack, but the best of either is used for every situation. You must choose to use Grahf's binding circle before binding any standard vestige, and you take a -15 penalty to binding a standard vestige afterwards. This penalty is cumulative, so if you bind two from Grahf's circle before going for a standard vestige, you will take a -30 on your binding check. You may choose the same type of evil outsider more than once for binding, if you wish to pick up more than two of their salient qualities. You are not required to make a binding check for Grahf's circle, as your mark immeidately subjegates them.
4: You did not lose a binding slot for Grahf. Instead, your body is marked as above. So if you can bind three vestiges previously, you can still.

Moral Wiz
2008-01-11, 01:15 PM
Hist

Wha...

Hist wheels arround at the voice, and swoops down towards Grazys.

Curses. Why didn't I watch him?

He reaches the gound, and turns immedietly to Grazys, his face showing concern.

Are you all right?

Toliudar
2008-01-11, 01:22 PM
Reid

At Grazys' cry, Reid bounds over to the binder, ready to administer aid.

Are you all right? What did it do to you?

He is immediately looking Grazys over for signs of burns or other injuries.

Spot [roll0]
Heal (if applicable) [roll1]

Greyen
2008-01-11, 01:45 PM
Dothen

Dothen slaps his forehead with a resounding Smack He says quietly but audibly What in the 10th Hell has just happened? Someone tell me he didn't just make a deal with one of my ugly relatives. Dothen maintains his position in the corner watching the area while those more capable deal with Grazys.

Spot [roll0]
Listen [roll1]

@Anura

Dothen whispers thoughtfully into the link Question Anura, you are the expert on these things, this circle is a powerful magical thingy right? If Hist's power is bound to it, can we make another circle elsewhere and get rid of this one, so that the temple is cleared? If we can't what would happen if we wrecked this circle?

GimliFett
2008-01-11, 02:36 PM
Grazys Senneker

The binder smiles thinly at his friends. Though not still in pain, the memory of that brief moment of agony lingers somewhat. He holds up a hand -- the marked one, though the choice is unintentional as it is his dominant hand-- to forestall any worry. "Oy. No worries, mates! I'm good. Just doin' what I do best: bargaining." Grazys arches his back, illiciting a couple of pops and a sigh of relief.

Lochar:1: I'll pro'lly put all 4 into Charisma, but I need to think about it for a bit. I might split it between Wisdom and Charisma instead.
2: No alignment issues as I'm already True Neutral.
3: Summoning Stuff--> Interesting! And fun! By salient abilities do you mean Special Qualities only or also Special Attacks and spell-like abilities, etc? Just want some clarification. For instance, the Yeth Hound has flight listed amongst its Special Qualities...
4: Still only two vestiges at a time, for now. Good to know it doesn't suck anything up, though. Gracias!

I may have more queries in a while, but that's it for now. Let the fun begin! :smallbiggrin:

Lochar
2008-01-11, 02:53 PM
Grazys:
Special Qualities only. And yes, that would give you the Yeth Hound's flight if you wished for it. It's a powerful ability, but there are costs you haven't seen yet for agreeing to bind with pure evil beings...

Moral Wiz
2008-01-11, 03:01 PM
Hist

Hist looks at the binder, and his eyes... seem to react. Just for a moment, they loose all colour, and glow. This fades almost instantly but the effect is disconcerting. The Assimar dosn't notice it however, as he speaks to his friend, compassion and firmness both there in his voice.

Grazys, I am sorry, but I have to ask. What with, exactly?

Toliudar
2008-01-11, 03:37 PM
Reid

Hist has just asked the question on Reid's lips. The priest stays close to Grazys, still concerned about his friend, but is also eager for an answer. What kind of bargain could possibly be sought - let alone made - in such a place as this?

GimliFett
2008-01-11, 03:47 PM
Grazys Senneker

Grazys' grin widens, as he attempts to disarm his friends' concern. "A bein' of moderate power. Nothin' ta worry about, really, it sort of just reacted ta my own abilities. Nothin' ta do with The One at all, actually, which was a surprise," he adds with a chuckle. "Sorry if I alarmed y'all! Really, it's no worries."

Moral Wiz
2008-01-11, 04:40 PM
Hist

Hist sighed. The Binder was a passable actor, and might have fooled him if the circumstances had not been quite so obvious. He looked with genuine compassion at his ally.

I am truly sorry friend, but that barganing session was... rather unusual. The Vistage did not speak, if it did, I for one did not hear it... untill the end as it were; you performed no ritual to banish another Vistage, and, apart from anything else, the circle...

Grazys. Do you know what you have probably just been dealing with?

nekosama
2008-01-11, 07:10 PM
Freeman

Wary of any changes to Grazys freeman listen vary carefully to his speech to see if he seems any different. Also cautiously he turns he view outside calls forth his ability to detect evil and then slow turns his head to look in side because he is afraid the temple may be too evil to look at directly.

1d20

Lochar
2008-01-11, 07:21 PM
Freeman:
Grazys doesn't detect evil himself. There is a lingering but quickly fading aura on the mark on his hand, and then one on his back. They both should fade within minutes.

The circle that Hist stood in and Grazys apparently communed with radiates an overpowering evil that if you do more than catch a glimpse out of the corner of your eye will overwhelm you and daze you.

Toliudar
2008-01-12, 01:35 AM
Reid

The priest continues to stare at Grazys' hand.

Even if the binding did not involve The One, I find it hard to imagine a binding from this circle that DIDN'T involve something...vile. Are you sure it was nothing to worry about.

Knowledge Religion to recognize anything about the symbol that has appeared on Grazys. [roll0]

guardinal
2008-01-12, 02:30 AM
Dothen
@Anura

Dothen whispers thoughtfully into the link Question Anura, you are the expert on these things, this circle is a powerful magical thingy right? If Hist's power is bound to it, can we make another circle elsewhere and get rid of this one, so that the temple is cleared? If we can't what would happen if we wrecked this circle?

Anu
Anura has been watching Grazys closely as the others wander over to examine the windows and wander back. As the voice proclaims the conclusion of his bargaining, she starts, then shakes her head again, concern (and, it should be said, some disgust) clear on her face.

spot [roll0] to notice mark on Grazys (or maybe she can just spot it with detect magic)
lore [roll2] to understand mark

To Dothen:
"I do not think the fiendish circle can be moved or tampered with safely, at least not by us. And trying to make use of it, as Hist and Grazys have done, is unbelievably stupid," she whispers back, with some heat.

'Destroying the circle would unleash a great deal of magical energy. Quite possibly enough to kill us all, and maybe a good proportion of Eras too. And it would probably have particular consequences for Hist, if it didn't kill him outright."

guardinal
2008-01-12, 02:52 AM
Anu
"Reid, please hold off on your righteous smashing. Let me have a few moments to look around a bit without interruptions, alright? Last time you were here a fiend was set lose. Now bargains have been struck with only the gods know what evil power. Most of the Auromar wards we've encountered have been unusually powerful, tied to curses and counterspells in ways I've never encountered before. Let's not make the situation any worse."

With a last suspicious glance at Grazys, Anura takes at least several minutes to look around the chamber, trying to make sense of what she can see and what she has seen. She will make use of 'detect magic' (expending another charge of her wand if necessary) as well as 'comprehend languages'. If she needs to fly up to study the window, she will cast (extend) polymorph (pixie) to do so.

Essentially trying to get a better sense of what spells or magical effects are at work in this chamber, how they could best be dispelled, countered or otherwise dealt with, and what consequences there might be for doing so.

She will also study the fiendish circle more closely (though she won't touch it or anything like that), reading the words for herself.

Assuming new rolls are necessary:

knowledge (arcana) [roll0]
knowledge (the planes) [roll2]
spellcraft [roll3]
lore [roll4]

Greyen
2008-01-12, 03:35 AM
Dothen

To Anura Well bugger then. Is there a way to disable with out destroying it? So that other folks can't stumble upon the circle and sell their soul for a bisquit? Maybe we can just collapse the building down on top of it.

Dothen watches the unfolding drama below. He carefully moves around the roof finding a new corner to hide himself in.

Hide [roll0]
Move Silent [roll1]

Lochar
2008-01-12, 09:51 AM
@Anura
You can look under the religion 30 check above for what the symbol on Grazys hand does.

The auras are still the same. An evil abjuration on the circle that is currently moderate strength. You know now that the power of the circle changes if it is used.

The altar has the same spells as last time as well. An low powered abjuration and a relatively strong transmutation. The abjuration is linked into the transmutation spell. From what you can tell, the transmutation spell is actually increasing the hardness of the altar area as a whole, which would be why even Reid's adamantine mace couldn't bypass it's hardness.

The abjuration looks to be a dormant glyph of warding. Dropping the transmutation spell would activate the glyph. Dothen could possibly disable the glyph, but runs the risk of activating it if he messes up.

guardinal
2008-01-12, 10:47 AM
Dothen

To Anura Well bugger then. Is there a way to disable with out destroying it? So that other folks can't stumble upon the circle and sell their soul for a bisquit? Maybe we can just collapse the building down on top of it.

Anu
To Dothen:
"As I said, I don't think tampering with the circle is something we can do safely. Not without a lot more study, anyway."

After noting the dormant glyph of warding, Anura pulls out her 'read magic' wand and uses a charge to decipher it (from what she thinks is a safe distance, of course).

spellcraft [roll0] to decipher the glyph.

Lochar
2008-01-12, 10:50 AM
@Anura:
The glyph is a spell storing one. When activated, the spell stored is summon Monster III. You don't know what would be summoned though.

It's actually feasible that the first time through they tripped something else like this, summoning the fiend. Of course, to summon a fiend, it's a much higher level spell.

guardinal
2008-01-12, 12:43 PM
Anu
Anura-pixie completes her study of the chamber and flits back over to Reid.

"There is a strong transmutation over the altar that renders it highly resistant to physical damage. I don't know if even adamantine would be able to damage it. Hist's blasts seem to be able to cut through anything, though, no matter how hard," she whispers through the link to the scattered party members. "Or we could try to dispel it."

"There is also a glyph of warding over the altar that will probably be set off in response to any tampering. It is tied to what looks like a low-level monster summoning spell."

Moral Wiz
2008-01-12, 01:15 PM
Hist

As Anura starts to examine the place, Hist walks over to her, and points to the rather problamatic feindish circle. He sends to her.

As an aside, there are words on the circle, but they are hard to spot with mystic sences active.Last time Reid had to point them out to me. Look, here, in a circle, with 4 lines in total. One word of each line is in a perticular scipt. We were able to begin to translate it last time, if you recall. Do you have the magic to finish the job?

After Anura examines the room, and makes her report, Hist sends another message.

Do you or Reid have the dispel magic prepared? If not, I for one am prepared to blast it and deal with the concequences if, as you say, the spell is none to powerfull

Then, as an afterthought, he sends again.

And why are we really bothering with the link at this point? Quite frankly, any malevolant creature probably knows where we are by now, and has had about nineteen chances to strike whirlst we were split up. I don't mind, but such paranoia seems a bit... unhealthy.

Greyen
2008-01-12, 02:30 PM
Dothen

Dothen waits quietly as still as he can be. Attempting to fade into the small shadow he has found. Stillness and the right set of mind is the key. He is watchfull of anything amiss and is ready to leap into the mess, if a mess appears.

One with the shadow, still, silent, unnoticed...

Lochar
2008-01-12, 02:39 PM
Dothen is quite ably hidden in the shadows of the ceiling.

guardinal
2008-01-13, 02:12 AM
Hist

As Anura starts to examine the place, Hist walks over to her, and points to the rather problamatic feindish circle. He sends to her.

As an aside, there are words on the circle, but they are hard to spot with mystic sences active.Last time Reid had to point them out to me. Look, here, in a circle, with 4 lines in total. One word of each line is in a perticular scipt. We were able to begin to translate it last time, if you recall. Do you have the magic to finish the job?

Anu
Anura nods absently as she continues her examination of the room. "Yes, I remember. Be patient, please. This needed to be done first, since the altar was apparently about to be attacked. I'll get back to the circle in a moment."

Hist
After Anura examines the room, and makes her report, Hist sends another message.

Do you or Reid have the dispel magic prepared? If not, I for one am prepared to blast it and deal with the concequences if, as you say, the spell is none to powerfull

Then, as an afterthought, he sends again.

And why are we really bothering with the link at this point? Quite frankly, any malevolant creature probably knows where we are by now, and has had about nineteen chances to strike whirlst we were split up. I don't mind, but such paranoia seems a bit... unhealthy.

Anura shrugs. "Well, I think making use of mysterious fiendish arcana in temples of vile evil gods is more than a little unhealthy. But to each his own, right?" she says dryly. "In any case, you may have noticed that some members of our group, such as yourself, have a tendency to wander off, which is why I cast the spell before we came in here. I don't like to have to shout when I have something important to say. You are welcome to make use of the magic yourself, or not."

"To answer your first question, I have a dispel magic ready, but Dothen might be able to simply disarm the ward. Otherwise, your eldrich magic seems the better bet, if the goal is to destroy the altar anyway." She shrugs again.
"I confess, though, that I am not sure if it is time to start blasting this place to smithereens. The fiendish circle...and what it can apparently be used for...seems like a more pressing issue."

When her study of the room is complete, Anura returns her attention to the magic circle, letting her wand effect fade and picking out the words if she hasn't already done so. When she has deciphered it, she considers its meaning a moment, then whispers through the link to everyone.

"The complete inscription reads as follows:
'Father hellbound traded soul, Mother heavenborn bartered body
Blood bonded conceived child, death reaches gravelost lives.'

It does sound to me like your fears about the circle's link to yourself are well-founded, Hist. And it also sounds like your mother, celestial or not, was not an unwilling participant in whatever happened here. The last line is the most important, I think, but I'm not entirely sure what it could mean. Perhaps the ritual was fueled by the destruction of already-dead souls? Or maybe it is a reference to creating- or destroying- undead?"

Moral Wiz
2008-01-13, 02:46 AM
Anura shrugs. "Well, I think making use of mysterious fiendish arcana in temples of vile evil gods is more than a little unhealthy. But to each his own, right?" she says dryly.

Hist

Heh. Fair point, Miss Anura.

Hist breaks a smile for once. It is quickly lost, however, when Anura hands over the translation.

You are correct; that the circle is most worrying.

Hist thinks for a moment, and then messages

Tell me; what exactly was it that Grazys did? You were on the ground, whilrst I was up looking at the window, did you see what he was up to?

Toliudar
2008-01-13, 11:48 AM
Reid

Seeing Anura and Hist whisper back and forth to each other for quite some time, Reid becomes nervous.

Perhaps, friends, this is a time for openness and frankness. And Anura, I think you know that I'm not talking about blasting the entire temple, simply removing this last symbol of the One's power, and trying to complete a ritual that might sever any link between this circle and the One. Perhaps that might make the circle easier to deal with on its own, no?

He hesitates, and presses on.

Hist, I'm sorry to pry, and this is none of my business. Did your mother ever speak of her...participation in this?

guardinal
2008-01-13, 11:56 AM
OOC: As much as I love the 'message' spell, keep in mind that it is not telepathy or anything; other people can tell when people are whispering. Though with Grazys' skill modifiers, maybe he won't notice. :smallwink:

Anu
Anura flits up towards the ceiling and makes a pretense of studying the window again before she whispers back to Hist:

To Hist:
"He made a bargain with something, that's for sure...and it wasn't some fallen demigod of sunshine and chocolate and unicorn kisses. My guess is that it was with whoever or whatever the circle was used to bargain with in the first place. But I suggest we give him a chance to explain himself."

Moral Wiz
2008-01-13, 11:56 AM
Hist

No. She didn't. Never.

Hist looks a lot younger suddenly. It was hard to notice; he acts far from the part, but he looks no older than Reid. And somewhat... emotional.

I... must admit air is a tempting proposition at this point. Hells, if I could, I'd fly, and damn my identity.

The warlock sits down on the temple floor, staring up at the symbol of the One; and feeling a lump in his throat; and disgust sweeps over him.

What else do you wish to know?

Toliudar
2008-01-13, 12:02 PM
Reid

Still cautious, with the additional whispering going on, Reid nevertheless softens his tone with Hist.

Well, to start, what does your connection to that circle feel like? And what do you know about the contract your father entered into?

Moral Wiz
2008-01-13, 12:06 PM
Hist

I can draw upon more power when near the circle. It's as simple as that. It eases the process, allowing my blasts to be a tad more potent. Nothing more; though... It does feel as if I'm not taping it to it's limits.

As for my father... Well, sufice to say, it is "The same old story". But; and this may be helpful; the entity he bargined with was not the One. That much, I know.

I make no excuses for him. It was a fiend of course; and probably one just as foul as the late god. But it was not the One, or anyone who had any connection with him.

Greyen
2008-01-13, 12:28 PM
Dothen

Don't be saying too many bad things about fiends down there, they make crap fathers. But that's fer naught 'cause with out one fer a daddy I'd not be here.

Moral Wiz
2008-01-13, 12:44 PM
Hist

Hist laughed, a tad too much, at Dothen's remark.

It's none too easy to say good things about fiends, friend. But, if you say so...

Greyen
2008-01-13, 01:04 PM
-See below-

Greyen
2008-01-13, 01:26 PM
Dothen

Dothen chuckles Sorry, had ta break the tension. Too much shifty crap going on between friends. Der ain't no reason at this point not ta be forward wit each other. I can rec'nize demonic stuff a little bit, but generally only cause it smells o' sulphur and dog turds. Der's no reason to tell everyone what's going on. Dothen looks around the area and lowers his voice to make sure that no one is listening in. I mean we all know I got demon blood, Hist's got demon powered magics by blood, Grayzs summons dem, Anuras brain is too big fer her pretty head, Freeman is well...Freeman, and Reid is too virginal to get splinters in his dingaling. Nae offense to any of ya but get off yer high horses and cope. Lets not hide stuff from each other, eh?

Moral Wiz
2008-01-13, 01:55 PM
Hist

The warlock chuckles at his friend's words

Prehaps the most concise, and accurate, summery of our group I've heard, Dothen. I agree. The time for secrets is past. I don't know about the rest of you, but I for one would risk my life for you guys. We all have to trust each other implicitly; that, I fear, is an occupational necessity. Death in battle tends to result from less than perfect openness and co-operation- the ability to put your lives into the hands of others is going to get ever more vital as we explore more of this continent. Trust me on this. Holding back; at this point... well, I don't like the idea. Apart from anything else; I really do trust this little gathering.

Greyen
2008-01-13, 02:04 PM
Dothen

Dothen drops down to the ground tumbling into an acrobats bow. Here, I'll go first. He holds up a hand a with a snap of his fingers produces a black coin. I've joined the Thieves Guild here in Eras. More to ease our way into the market for future returns, and to learn from some of the real pro's. Skills that I can't pick up but from masters of their arts. That does not mean my loyalty to ya'll is lessened or divided, just that I now have ties and some sway in the guild. But I suggest we may want to discuss this later in a less public place, as any old Tom's Harry Duck can walk in here at any moment.

Shall we get on with the smashing of the One's icon and then deal with the circle later?

Moral Wiz
2008-01-13, 02:09 PM
Hist

Tempting. Is everyone ready to deal with whatever kind of minor fiend will come out if we do?

Oh, and I'll folow that up later. If I can.

guardinal
2008-01-13, 02:47 PM
Anu
Anura can't help but smile at the latest aborted attempt at secret-sharing.

"Reid, my point is that we don't know what effect destroying the symbol and the altar might have. At this point I have not seen signs of any magical links between the symbol and the fiendish circle. But the fiendish circle is still very active, and tied up with a great deal of magical power. If you are correct in your belief that there is such a link, then we are risking an enormous magical backlash...against ourselves and Eras, perhaps, but especially Hist...by tampering with it. I would just prefer that we not do something in ignorance that we can't undo." She shrugs. "But I cannot tell you any more about the magics over the altar than I have already. if the rest of you are set on doing this now, so be it."

Moral Wiz
2008-01-13, 02:58 PM
Hist

Hist shrugs

I knew my father and mother. I am prepared to risk it on their memories. Infact...

The warlock smiles, but says no more. He waits for anyothers who are frightened to proclaim as much. He won't attack the alter untill everyone is in support.

Greyen
2008-01-13, 03:21 PM
Dothen

Weel, my mammy was a whore and my daddy ws some kind of horny devil. I don't aprreciate either of them much myself. But I think that this needs to be done.

Dothen rubs his belt for moment before moving back away from the icon and the circle But if it does go boom I think we should be ready for it.

Moral Wiz
2008-01-13, 03:38 PM
Hist

(assuming no objections, or objections along the lines of "give me a minuet to get some wards up". Assume that everyone who wants to cast wards before we start can.)

Everybody ready? Good. Then let's begin.

With that, Hist steps forward, into the circle, and starts drawing on it, using every ounce of it's energy he can. Black flames of energies, seemingly eclipsing all light in their vacinity flow over both his hands.

With no apparent signel, bolt after bolt began to pound into the alter. A bead of sweat breaks out on Hist's brow, but the barrage does not stop.

After all he thought It's for a... Noble.. cause

Ok, thanks to my last lvl up, this gets complicated. THe circle maximises 50% of my blast, but I do half damage.So, I'm going to roll for groups of four blasts. For each roll, 15 damage is done by defualt.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]

So, 150 damage, plus what I just rolled. I think it might just be broken. ;)

That should do. Any ward trigered by this, Hist'll stop blasting... Or simply ajust his aim ;D

Lochar
2008-01-13, 03:43 PM
((No one dispelled the transmutation aura on the alter, correct?))

Oddly enough, Hist's blasts do absolutely no damage to the alter.

Lochar
2008-01-13, 03:53 PM
@Hist:Do your blasts normally ignore Hardness? I know they ignore DR.

Moral Wiz
2008-01-13, 03:55 PM
I didn't think they ignored DR; they do ignore hardness, in return for doing 1/2 damage

Toliudar
2008-01-13, 03:59 PM
Reid

Still blushing furiously from Dothen's comment about splinters - once he figured out what it meant - Reid took a moment to add his thoughts.

Anura, it will always be safer to do nothing, to stand on the sidelines and accept what is.

As Hist lines up on the symbol of The One, Reid takes up a position at right angles to the line between the circle and the altar, about 10' away from the altar. He is again ready with shield and mace, preparing to do whatever is required to see the thing ended.

Lochar
2008-01-13, 04:00 PM
It's untyped damage, thus ignores DR. The book only says deals half damage to items, nothing about ignoring hardness.

Moral Wiz
2008-01-13, 04:04 PM
you're probably right. Still, let me check.

Moral Wiz
2008-01-13, 04:18 PM
Ok. That's correct, no specific mention. But does untyped damage ignore hardness? I know that Hardness is in part determined by damage type.

Lochar
2008-01-13, 04:24 PM
Nope. Or at least not here, as I'm ruling it that way. Material hardness is different that damage reduction in that sense. I hate to Rule 0 it that way, but there's a point to it. And a reason why you were able to ignore hardness last time you used your Blast.

Toliudar
2008-01-13, 04:24 PM
Reid

Unless Lochar's ruling on the EB changes...

Seeing Hist's blasts doing nothing against the symbol, Reid slips his shield back onto his back, and steps back outside of the room, remembering the past effect of the circle on his spells.

Let's see if I have any better fortune, yes?

He chants a brief prayer to Pelor, and seems to bulge a bit in his armour. Striding back, giving the circle a wide berth, he delivers a two-handed smash to the symbol.

Casting Bull's Strength outside of the room.

Seven points of power attack, two-handed strike with his mace.
[roll0] Attack
[roll1] Damage

Moral Wiz
2008-01-13, 04:28 PM
Hist

Well... That was disapointing.

Hist sounds remarkably chearful considering what he just said. He stays in the circle, and keeps an eye out for any possible fiendish creature that pops out as a result of further attepts upon the altar.

Lochar
2008-01-13, 04:34 PM
Reid's heavy swing reverberates through the room, yet does no damage to the symbol. He does have the feeling though that it only barely managed not being damaged.

You almost bypassed it's hardness!

Toliudar
2008-01-13, 09:43 PM
Reid

Almost there.

Again, stepping out of the room, Reid brings down two more powerful blessing from Pelor. He grows to twice his normal size, and leaps back into the room, rushing forward to deliver another blow. As he begins to hammer away at the symbol, he briefly bulges even further.

Casting Righteous Might, and a quickened version of Righteous Wrath of the Faithful.
First round attack:
[roll0] Attack
[roll1] Damage

Second round, full attack sequence, using his Strength domain special ability.
[roll2] Attack 1
[roll3] Damage

[roll4] Attack 2
[roll5] Damage

[roll6] Attack 3
[roll7] Damage

Lochar
2008-01-13, 09:54 PM
You know, I do have to laugh. You managed the symbol's HP exactly.

Reid's first slam creates the first crack in the symbol any of you have seen. Heartened, the Pelorite continues to slam away at the symbol of the One.

Cracks and gouges continue to show as Reid's enlarged, powerful mace bashes through the dark god's symbol until with one final, overhead, nearly enraged blow the symbol breaks into four separate pieces and falls from the altar it was adhered to.

A gust of wind is released from the symbol as it falls, blowing through the room and out. A heavy feeling in the air that you didn't realize was even there vanishes, and you all seem to breath easier. The broken pieces of the alter lay on the ground. To those with a mage's sight, they still detect with the transmutation spell on it, still hardening the wood even after it has been splintered.

guardinal
2008-01-13, 10:04 PM
Anu
Anura uses another charge of her wand to study the aura on the fiendish circle for any change after the symbol's destruction.

Toliudar
2008-01-14, 02:37 AM
Reid

Reid glances up, panting a bit from the exertion. He notices Anura using her wand.

Well, Anura? Do I have your seal of approval to try consecrating the area?

Moral Wiz
2008-01-14, 02:43 AM
Hist

As Anura moves towards the circle, Hist steps out. He too begins to take a look at it with msticly inclined eyes.

In other news, did any of you... feel something, when the sign came down?

Toliudar
2008-01-14, 03:39 AM
Reid

The priest nodded slowly.

As if a shadow I'd felt since our first visit has lifted. I'm more concerned, though, at how you feel, Hist. None of us could find a link between the circle and the altar, but...well, it doesn't mean I wasn't concerned.

Moral Wiz
2008-01-14, 03:44 AM
Hist

The assimar bows, touched at the concern

Thank you Reid; But I feel fine. Never better in fact.

He smiles at the destroyed Icon.

Tell me though, what will this spell of yours do? Will it just affect the alter area? My one remaining worry is that it will be that which will unwitingly destroy the circle.

Toliudar
2008-01-14, 03:51 AM
Reid

We should be so lucky.

Reid smiles, a bit sadly.

My prayers are somewhat circumscribed in their effect, regardless of my will. All I will be trying to do is break any link that this room still has with The One. If, as Anura has said, the circle seems to have an evil life of its own, that is likely to continue, although perhaps with a slightly changed aspect.

Greyen
2008-01-14, 03:51 AM
Dothen

Dothen breathes easier for a moment Yeah, I felt a release. Like getting out from under a bad loan. Dothen grins, and looks at the building critically.

Well, Here's the clincher. Destroying the circel could have very nasty effects on some of our good friends here, Hist and Grazys. How about we just pull the building down on top of it? That way no one can use it for a good long while, while we figure out what to do with it. Dothen says from the side lines.

Moral Wiz
2008-01-14, 07:35 AM
Hist

Hmm... I'm not sure on the idea of bringing the building down. It could look suspicious; as though we are trying to hide somthing. If that happened; 10 to 1 some overly credulous group of exploreres go poking through the ruins and find it anyway.

Hist simles as he says this, indicating that he is not really convinced yet.

I'm still not sure what your hallowing will do, Reid. But... hells, I've taken worse chances. Go ahead.

Lochar
2008-01-14, 08:20 AM
OOC:
Do realize, this is a empty church building in the middle of a city that is partially used. Bringing down the church would definately bring a few questions.

guardinal
2008-01-14, 12:33 PM
Reid

Reid glances up, panting a bit from the exertion. He notices Anura using her wand.

Well, Anura? Do I have your seal of approval to try consecrating the area?

Anu
You don't need my permission for anything, Reid," she says absently as she studies the circle. "I still see no sign of your suspected link between the circle and the symbol and the auras over the former appear unchanged. I don't know what consecrating the area will do to the circle, but that spell only lasts a short time anyway, right? Or do you have something more permanent in mind?"

can she tell if the glyph of warding is still in effect, or was it triggered by Reid's action, or what?

Lochar
2008-01-14, 01:05 PM
@Anura:
The glyph is still intact, as the transmutation spell is still working. Granted, the symbol is now destroyed, but...

GimliFett
2008-01-14, 02:46 PM
Grazys Senneker

Having watched the others make attempts to figure out and or destroy various bits of the temple, Grazys speaks up from his spot in the corner. "I'm not tryin' ta be overly evasive, I can't help some of it. We'll have another go-round of truth an' consequences later, I promise," he adds with his characteristic grin.

The binder's brow furrows a little as he considers the situation. "Now from what I understand, there's no connection between the circle and the altar or the temple fer that matter. I dunno who put it here, or why. As far as feelin' somethin', yeah. A bit like comin' down from a high point to somethin' a bit more palatable, eh?"

Moral Wiz
2008-01-14, 03:06 PM
Hist

Probably whatever gave me my powers. That is the only reason I can think of as to why I can draw upon it.

How did you open it up, anyway?

Toliudar
2008-01-14, 04:08 PM
Reid

The main intent of casting the spell is to confirm magically what the breaking of the altar should have done symbolically - sever any link this place has to The One.

Circling the area, Reid begins chanting softly and sprinkling holy water and silver powder.

Lochar
2008-01-14, 04:30 PM
((Consecrating, right? Or Hallow?))

Greyen
2008-01-14, 04:33 PM
Dothen

Oh, aye, start right now why don't yer. I'll just step right over here by this nice door way and keep watch. Wouldn't want any innocent bystanders wandering up when the boom happens, eh? Dothen says as he sidles toward the door, fully expecting a horrendous explosion.

Moral Wiz
2008-01-14, 04:38 PM
Hist

Indeed. I'm owed a spot of fresh air

Hist, smilingly, folows his friend out toward the doorway, uncertian as to if theird be an explosion, but determined that if there was, he'd die breathing air; not the staleness of the temple.

Lochar
2008-01-14, 10:47 PM
((Assuming it's consecrate, as Reid won't want to spend 24 hours casting.))

Reid's magics take hold in the area he is casting in, and he can feel the divine energies of Pelor take hold with the usual effect of consecrating an area. There are apparently no divine energies of Pygas to cut off.

Moral Wiz
2008-01-15, 04:22 AM
Hist

Well, that's a nice suprise.

Having cought a breath of air, the Light-Born strolled back towards the scorched spell.

I take it your spell was effective, Ried? So, the circle is indeed not connected with Pygas. It must have a different evil in it.

Ho hum. I expected nothing else. Anyone got any other requests? Or can we call it a night?

Have we got the house yet? sorry, lost track.

Greyen
2008-01-15, 04:44 AM
Yes, we have house and temple, and all sort of crap going on in town now

Dothen

Unless we want to resolve this circle issue before going anywhere, I think we are done. I still think that we need to cover it up or something.

Moral Wiz
2008-01-15, 04:58 AM
Hist

Hmm... Do you have any ideas as to how?

Greyen
2008-01-15, 05:09 AM
Dothen

Dothen thinks for a moment before continuing I dunno. Maybe a layer of dirt, sand or even white wash would keep it from being immediately noticed. But in doing that we draw attention to it. Anyone know a way to cover it up with out breaking it?

Moral Wiz
2008-01-15, 05:55 AM
Hist

Whitewash sounds promising. However, just splashing it arround might make it's perpose too obvious.

Hist thinks for a moment.

How about using it to paint a symbol? That might work.

Greyen
2008-01-15, 06:11 AM
Dothen

A symbol, thats a good idea. But I think that painting a giant white middle finger in the air isn't what you are thinking. Maybe a holy symbol. Dothens face lights up Hey Reid you wanna paint over this with Pelor's holy symbol? Kind of like a conqueror's mark?

Toliudar
2008-01-15, 12:22 PM
Reid

Reid is more than a little relieved when his consecration confirms that the One's hold on this area is broken. The circle may have been older or younger than his hold, but at least it could be dealt with separately.

Heading home for lunch, and conversation -

He glances over at Grazys.

Seems like an excellent first step. Dothen, I appreciate the suggestion, but Pelor is not so much a conqueror as a source of inspiration, through which people can take on their own power.

He glances up, a bit wistfully, at the stained glass window.

I think that this place has seen enough of conquest for some time. But, perhaps a warning sign of some kind? Ideally something that doesn't just draw exactly the kind of attention we hope to avoid.

He sighed.

Perhaps we can simply inform the provisional government this afternoon. They can decide whether to seal off the room, post guards, whatever they feel is appropriate. For that matter, with the lyre, we could just seal off access to the room, for now.

GimliFett
2008-01-15, 12:28 PM
Grazys Senneker

"Now that is a good idea, Reid," the binder says with a grin. "Maybe we could use tha lyre ta put in a new floor, overlayin' tha old one with the circle, hm? Not as obvious as a blank wall, but still effective, I think."

Moral Wiz
2008-01-15, 12:28 PM
Hist

Hmm... Either of those might draw attention, as opposed to hiding it Reid. But alternitives are not much better.

Hist leans against the wall for a moment; then straightens up.

Let's go and have dinner first though. Prehaps it'll bring inspiration. I doubt anyone will sell their soul in the interim

Greyen
2008-01-15, 12:29 PM
Dothen

I give up, lets jst go home. Dothen turns and heads outside into the sun and begins to walk home unless someone intercepts him.

Lochar
2008-01-15, 12:53 PM
You all can leave the temple, knowing that at least the ground is consecrated for the next twenty or so hours and head for the house you all built.

Once there, you all can split you seperate ways for the remainder of the day if you wish.

Overnight, nothing else happens as all is calm and quiet. As Hist said, no one sold their soul in the interim.

The next morning you awaken a little after dawn, only to find that Hist and Dothen are missing. Searching the house yields that Hist's window is open, and neither bed has been slept on in several hours.

Toliudar
2008-01-15, 12:57 PM
Gathering with Freeman, Anura and Grazys, Reid is concerned, but not yet fearful.

Any ideas where they might be. I'll need to conduct my morning prayers in a few minutes, but after that, would be happy to search the town. Do you think they might have gone back to the circle for some reason?